Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food

2.9/5 (1440 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Pros

• Real animal protein
  • Added fibers and prebiotics

Cons

• Previously recalled
  • Few grain-free options

Bottom Line

Dog food recipes are made with animal protein from chicken, beef, lamb and turkey. Recipes contain whole grains and are supplemented with antioxidants, prebiotics and fiber. Find formulas for dogs in all stages of life.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Iams Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: April 13, 2019

The dog likes the food, though he doesn't gobble it. It seems to give him enough energy and he looks healthy. His coat is shiny and his teeth are white. The quality seems to be perfect for the price.

Original review: April 12, 2019

11 yrs ago our vet recommend changing from Purina due to the fact it was full of fillers which made the dogs defecate several times a day. Iams also has made it easier to control weight better than the previous brand.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We have been using Iams brand for years now. There has been several times I would buy something else just because of commercial or packaging and thought it might be fun for him try. NOPE and No way would he have it. We always went right back to Iams. More importantly, the quality of ingredients are exceptional. Thank you.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We've always fed Iams to our active Border Collies and they have always done well. They certainly have seemed to enjoy eating it, i.e. it is very palatable. Our impression is that Iams is a high-quality dog food.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Dogs do well on it. Never had a problem. They have gotten ill on other well known brands. Food is available at many places which is good when we are on vacation. Stools are well formed and never any upset stomach issues.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Iams Dog Food comes in several flavors for different stages of growth and health of your canine. If switching from one type to another it is best to mix them from the original to the new flavor, gradually increasing the new flavor until the old one is replaced. There have been no digestive issues with multiple dogs or breeds and we have had purebreds and mixed breeds.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog started to dislike canned dog food so I tried IAMS and he has been very happy with it for the past four years. He does not have any problems digesting his food and he is always eager to eat.

Original review: March 27, 2019

For the cost of this food it is reprehensible what they use for ingredients. Meat of some kind should be the main ingredient especially when it comes to weight management. Please make sure to take a look at the first few ingredients of the food you're feeding to your pets. If it is all corn or fillers, move on as it's just not worth it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My vet recommended I use Iams dog food, and I know why. My dog loves it and it makes her coat beautiful. I've been feeding it to her for almost three years now and I'm very happy except when it runs out at the store and I have to try another brand for a time.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I've fed Iams Proactive Health for small & toy breed for a few months. All seemed to be ok until a couple of months ago. My Chihuahua, about 16 years old, has been having looser stools and straining sometimes to go. Some stools are normal. He's had no other changes and eats heartily. I don't feed table scraps. However, the Papillon, about 8, is fine. No change in his stool and he eats well as always. So I'm going to gradually change them over to a different dry food to see if the situation clears up. I bought Iams on the advice of my vet. I give 3 stars since one is fine & 1 isn't.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My dogs have eaten Iams for over 15 yrs and most people tell me that my dog looks like she is 6 yrs old. I contribute this to Iams, keep up the good work. My dogs Cockers love it. They are spunky and healthy, to people that are starting out on Iams do not settle for other dog foods that have constant recalls due to bad food. Settle for one of the best Iams, also if switching from one food to another you have to give it time and yes your pup will go through some extra potty stops due to change but once your dog eats this food he or she may live to be one of the oldest dogs of their breed as mine will hopefully live till she is 22 yrs old. TY Iams.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I've tried so many different dog foods. It's insane. I have a 3 year old dachshund and a foster dog. My dachshund has dry itchy skin and her hair is thin and falling out, until I swapped to Iams. She has a thick full coat and her skin is better.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I saw Iams on special offer and I never got it before for my 12 year old lab. I fed it to him and I noticed his poop changed consistency that night and I thought - he’s a very hardy dog but hmm maybe it’s a bit rich or something because I thought it was a fancy dog food so maybe it’s got extra vitamins and minerals or something. So I keep feeding him with it. Last night he woke me up barking needing the toilet at 4am and he whined all night (he never does that - he sleeps like me). I didn’t link this to Iams yet at that point. I didn’t have any other food so gave him a small portion in the morning.

When I got home my housemate told me he needed extra poop in the day and was barking at the door to get out. (Again he likes to poop only on two walks a day - not in middle of day) So he looked sad when I got home and didn’t wag his tail (he ALWAYS wags his tail when I come in). So at this point I googled “Iams” and found this website but only after I fed him already ??? oh my god - I see some people’s dogs died! Why is this allowed on the shelves when it is clearly contaminated!!! How do we do something??? I just bought all new dog food and sterilized his bowl and I gave him a bit of Pedigree Chum just so he would have something else in his body to soak up whatever rubbish I gave him. My poor baby - if anything happens him because I fed him this poison I will die. 12 years of love every day and he trusts me to feed him properly. What the hell. Iams need to stop selling this POISON ☠️!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

4 month old red heeler puppy. Healthy, happy energetic on diff brand puppy food. Bought Iams & initially very lethargic after eating, then 2 days of uncontrolled diarrhea - dark, unusually foul smelling. Today my puppy ate a small amount & threw up. Throw up was milky mucus covered & smelled bad. Dog refused to eat anymore. Gave him different food & he devoured it. Hopefully he will be okay now & not die like some of these dogs. Iams dog food is poisoned/contaminated. Do not give this garbage to your animal. Iams should be held accountable for marketing this poison.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I purchased the Iams Proactive puppy dog food on Tuesday, December 11, 2018. Feed it to my dog, on Wednesday morning, December 12, 2018, my dog became very lethargic/lazy. Began vomiting the dog food back up. It was brown with slimy white milky substance, very foul odor. Rushed him to the vet, where he died. I am sure it was the food, that killed my dog. Please don't feed your pet this food.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have an 11-week old Bernese mountain dog and she had been on this food for about 3 weeks. This past week she has had uncontrollable diarrhea that was tarry, smelled horrible, and was very dark brown probably because of blood. Started feeding her rice and chicken and her stool started to get firmer and lighter. So, we feed her more of the Iams proactive puppy and within an hour her stool because tarry, smelly, and very dark again. I will never feed my dog this again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Fed new dog Iams June ‘18-Severe diarrhea and vomiting 3 days -- Got a new dog (rescue) at the end of May, and upon the recommendation from my vet decided to put him on Iams. This sweet boy is part husky and part golden retriever and was 13 months old at the time (May). He spent his whole life chained outside to a large propane tank... He was used to eating everything and anything. Sometimes he got scraps, sometimes he got dog food, sometimes he got nothing. So pretty much, he had a stomach that could handle just about anything. We realize very quickly that it was the Iams that did it... not to mention the fact that he wouldn’t even touch it. Now here we are in early December 2018, and he is doing great A different high-quality brand.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Izzabella Blue is 6 years old and has eaten Iams for the past 4 years. We switched her because the previous dog food almost killed her. Now she is on her deathbed since eating Iams 3 days ago. We had just purchased and opened the large bag. We buy the same every time. She weighs over 100 pounds and is usually extremely healthy and ready for anything. Since Thursday Morning she has been droopy. Friday she threw up clear. Saturday it became dark and bloody looking. Today it's dark watery diarrhea. It's the dog food because she became less droopy Saturday morning until she felt well enough to eat. She didn't eat much and it all started again.

My 8 year old Chihuahua hasn't touched hers thanking God. She's picky and only eats the dog food as more of a snack late at night. She eats people food. I could not afford to feed Izzabella people food, enough to fill her appetite. I believe after the scare this time, she can just eat my share of people food. I'd rather starve than feed her such wretched poison. This is unacceptable... Our pets are our family, our babies. They matter as much as the next. Do you know what it feels like to have given your BaBy the very thing that nearly killed them? I pray no other family is going thru this. Iams do something!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

THIS IS POISON!!! Do not buy this food for your puppy! We fed this to our 12 week old Goldendoodle Oscar on Saturday morning and he died on Sunday afternoon (only 1/2 cup). Within a few hours he was becoming slightly lethargic/lazy. Within 36 hours he died in my husband's arms! Such a traumatic day. We just thought we had worn him out by playing all day Saturday and being on the go. He had a little more food that day, but wasn't really interested. The next morning (Sunday) he woke up and had thrown up. He wouldn't eat, but was still drinking some. Was a little more sluggish so we started to question if something was going on... He had 2 normal poops during the day, but had also thrown up each time. The 3rd poop later that afternoon was dark and possibly had some blood in it, very lethargic by now and within 30 minutes, on our way to the emergency vet, he passed away. So sudden! Do not take the chance.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My 6 year old Yorkie ate some Iams, small dry kibble this morning and within 5 hours was having spells of diarrhea with bright red blood in it and the smell is atrocious. My dog is 5 pounds, his poop is the size of tootsie rolls normally and usually don't smell up the whole house. I know it's from the Iams because last week he ate some and that evening he was throwing up and had bad diarrhea throughout the night and next day. I assumed he might have gotten into something as he is very food motivated. I usually feed him soft Pedigree food with no issues at all.

I gave him the Iams thinking hard food once in a while would be good for his teeth. Iams is poison! Twice I unknowingly poisoned my best friend. No dogs deserve this ever! How can you run commercials stating how wonderful Iams is when you know its absolute garbage that makes dogs sick and sometimes so sick that they die??! Please do not feed your animals Iams, it's not worth it. Seeing your dog bleeding because of dog food you fed him is heart wrenching.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I would not give any stars if that were an option * My mom had a severely sick dog, Lewie. He lost weight rapidly in 2 months and died. She had been feeding her dog Iams dog food for several years. However, this sickness just took place this summer (August 2018). Lewie would not eat, constantly drinking water and very, very weak! My dog, Blue, was starting to do the same... For about 3 days I noticed he was getting thin quickly (He is a 100 pound dog), very lethargic, drinking water constantly, and wouldn't touch the Iams. I switched his food immediately and he came around quickly. Please be very cautious and watch your baby closely. Unfortunately for Iams, we are no longer consumers of their products.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Our 8 month old Pit had severe diarrhea and vomit after one serving of Iams Puppy. She was constantly whining, not knowing her stomach was upset. Around 2-3 am in the morning, diarrhea in her cage. Day 2, she refuse to eat Iams. At that moment, I knew it was the food that cause the constant diarrhea and vomiting for up to a week. The dog food is terrible. Please review dog food before your dog dies or get sick.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Just like the other post my dog started with being really weak and not wanting to eat but his brother was still eating and happy. Then the throwing up brown foam and diarrhea. After getting better not realizing it was the food I tricked him with putting meat in his food. And guess what. I happens all over again. Now I'm stuck with bad food that should not be given to no one. My dogs are 10 years old lab. 70-85 pounds.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We have a 4lb Yorkie that's about 1 1/2 yrs old, and we have a beagle that is average size and 7 yrs old. The last few weeks I have noticed the beagle just laying around, no energy. This week, both dogs have thrown up off and on and had diarrhea off and on. This seemed to subside, to the point that I would make a vet appt and then cancel because the dogs would seem to be ok. I thought maybe they ate a mushroom in the yard, etc. The Yorkie got sick again, so I took her to the vet. The vet ran late, took x-rays, etc., and she could not find anything wrong. She ended up getting fluids, antibiotic and a probiotic. The vet mentioned that perhaps we got a bad batch of dog food.

I started wondering if the food was making both dogs sick. I actually had a brand new bag, so I threw away the old bag and sanitized their food bowls, and poured them a fresh bowl, and the dogs wouldn't go near it. However, they were clearly hungry, like REALLY hungry. That's when I googled Iams recalls and saw so many stories just like mine. I went to PetSmart and told the gal what was going on, and she set me up with a new dog food. Sure enough, both dogs absolutely DEMOLISHED that food bowl. I do believe that there is something wrong with the food that was making both of my dogs sick and I feel incredibly grateful that I didn't lose one or both of my dogs. Please, if your dog gets sick, take it seriously and immediately stop giving them this food.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

My dogs have exclusively eaten Iams Adult Mini Chunks for the past year and a half. I bought a medium sized bag at a Kroger in West Knoxville, Tennessee, in the beginning of August. My dogs ate the food fine for the first feeding, but the next morning they woke up extremely sick. They had diarrhea, and were vomiting food, dark liquid, foam and spit at different points throughout the day. I thought maybe they had gotten into the trash or something so I fed them chicken and rice until they recovered. I fed them from the bag and the same thing happened again.

I decided to go through the bag of food and found that the kibble at the bottom of the bag was covered in a strange greenish white substance, it was dry but it wasn’t a powder. It smelled strange and almost looked like mold or a chemical. It took 3 days for my dogs to recover from the second feeding of the tainted food. I thought I was going to lose my pups. They both lost a significant amount of weight from all the bowel movements and vomiting. We are still working on getting the weight back. I’m absolutely sickened that all these people are reporting a similar experience but there is no recall that I’ve seen. Shame on Iams.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

IAMS Mini chunks - My 9 year old Border Collie has had diarrhea for the last several days. I fed him only pumpkin for a couple of meals and his stool improved but when I mixed it with the kibble the diarrhea returned. Then I fed him white rice and pumpkin at his evening meal and it stopped the diarrhea by the morning. I believe there is something wrong with the kibble. He is not prone to stomach issues.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Reading these reviews are breaking my heart. I bought the green bag of Iams Proactive Health for Small dogs for my Pomeranian because her usual Beneful was out. She didn’t want to eat it but when she did the diarrhea was horrible. I knew immediately it must be the food so I stopped giving it to her and went out and got some Beneful. About a week later my 2 cats got into the bag of Iams and I knew immediately because the litter box had the same dark liquid poop that my dog had been expelling. How is this even legal?? Iams is poison! They could have killed my baby!! I don’t know what I would have done if something happened to her. I see stories on here of people whose fur babies actually died!!! Thank God I stopped giving this poison to my dog!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Recently we had to switch our dogs' dog food to Iams because they didn’t have the type you usually bought. The first day we switched the dog food our chihuahua (6yo), Pomeranian (8yo), and terrier (5yo) all were throwing up all day and had horrible watery diarrhea. Today, my little Annie died, she was just 11 months old too. She had horrible diarrhea to where she was bleeding, shaking uncontrollably, vomiting, then started refusing food. So, my mom started to research what was going on. Apparently, a lot of people have had the same experience. When we found out though... it was too late even though she only ate the dog food a few times, we just got the food. Just the other day she was running around, happy as could be greeting everyone. Now, she is passed and I can never have her back.

My mom called to complain (like others have) and you know what they did? They offered her, her money back? You think someone who lost their best friend wants their money back? Why don’t you take Iams off of the shelf instead of making a profit off of it, knowing it can kill/harm animals. Your food is supposed to help animals, keep them alive with nutrients they need. Not poison them.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Please, please, please do not feed this food to your pet!!! I lost my 11 month old puppy, Annie, last night to this food within a week of feeding this food to her. The store did not have my usual brand, so I purchased what I thought was a quality-comparable brand. I am so mad at myself for not making the effort to go to a different store. I have other dogs and every single one of them threw up and had diarrhea. They started throwing up the day I started feeding them this food. My life was and still is a nightmare. Symptoms: Vomiting, horrible diarrhea, lethargy. My puppy ended up with bloody diarrhea.

We tried to save Annie. She was hospitalized, on an IV, but could not pull through. Our vet said she has never seen something happen this fast. They even checked to ensure she didn't have Parvo because she was in such dire shape. Our vet said that it is likely Annie didn't pull through like our other dogs did because her immune system was not developed enough to fight.

I called Iams and the rep was pleasant enough. However, please note that they do NOT read these reviews posted here. I was told the reviews are "TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT" since they are only posted when customers are dissatisfied. So PLEASE CALL! So Iams wants to send me a check to cover the bag of food that killed my little girl. I refused. I never, ever want anything to do with this company again and do not want to see their name show up in my mailbox. The number I called was 1.800.525.4267. I am so devastated right now. I hope that I even made sense in this review.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Bought Iams dog food because the store had run out of Rachael Ray. All three dogs came down with severe diarrhea right away. Went on this site and read the reviews and went out and bought some new food. Hopefully it's not too late for my pups. Very disappointed.

Iams Dog Food Company Information