Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops

4.0/5 (420 ratings)

About Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: July 31, 2022

I don't understand how this company is still in business. My cat almost died and spent the night in the hospital. I didn't know all of this until after my vet told me. Right after I put the drops on him he went NUTS. He started having severe spasms, he was TERRIFIED, screaming, crying, sprinting around and hiding. It was the most traumatic experience I've ever seen an animal go through. Thank GOD I brought him to the ER vet (an hour away saturday night) RIGHT AWAY where he was hospitalized for 36 hours. They told me if I waited an hour he would have died. I cannot wrap my head around this. PLEASE spread the word and NEVER use this greedy, sick company's products. My heart goes out to all who lost their pets.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I have two dogs and we have tried out a few different products when it comes to flea and tick. We have never had an issue until we used Hartz. Our experience with Hartz was the absolute worst. We contacted them regarding the fact that since applying their product we had still found multiple ticks attached to our dogs that we needed to pull out of them. One night we ended up taking our dog to the emergency vet because there was a tick burrowed well into him and the entire area was swollen. They removed this tick and found another one burrowed right next to it.

The vet then recommended we get him shaved down to check for more. All we asked from this company was to cover the $260 we acquired from choosing to use their product and all they did was twist the doctor's words saying it was "just a tick removal" and send us compensation for the amount their product costed us ($30). That not only shows their manipulative behavior but also that they don't care about their customers' animals. We will never use or recommend this product to anyone.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I have a 50lb male All American Pitbull. This was the first time and of time I have ever used this product on him. I urge any person who has experience their pet having an adverse reaction to this medication to report their experience to the EPA as they are the ones who monitor topical flea medications. File your report through the EPA website, which can be found under the pesticide for pets and animals. The more reports they get the more they will investigate this product.

I applied the flea medication to my dog today at 8pm. As stated in the instructions I applied the medication directly to the skin from the top of his shoulder Blades to the base of his spine. In less than 10 minutes my dog was visibly uncomfortable. He attempted hide from me and curled up into a ball. Upon inspecting his skin it had turned deep red and had sores at the site of the application. No other part of his body was affected after the application of the medication.

I immediately rushed my dog into the bath tub to remove the medication. The medication made my dog's skin and fur extremely greasy at the site of application. After spending 15 minutes thoroughly rinsing and washing my dog's skin, his fur was still greasy. I then spent an additional 45 minutes washing the medication off of my dog. I had to thoroughly wash and rinse my dog's skin 4 times, in order to be certain that I had thoroughly washed away the medication.

After bathing my dog I applied aloe Vera to the affected area. I then gave him 100mg of **, as directed by my veterinarian. After an hour later his skin looked much better. This lead me to believe that it was an allergic reaction that my dog experienced. I feel that my dog could have experienced a more extreme reaction had I not been closely monitoring him and reacted so quickly. L

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I bought this product earlier this week from Walmart and thought I was simply getting a great deal compared to what the vet offers. I was so wrong! As soon as I applied the drops on my 14-week old kitten, she was very distressed and acting very off. I was going to leave her be but my gut instinct was telling me that there was something wrong with these drops. After a quick search, I found that this kills cats and dogs! For goodness sake, people's adults' cats are dead, what would this do to my kitten?!!! I right away gave her a bath and I am so glad I did that! It's been a week since I applied this, and everyone in the house can still tell that something is still off. It's horrifying to read that people's cats suddenly died 3 months after using this product. To everyone who has applied this product, go give your cat/dog/etc. a bath right away!!!

Yes, your vet will offer flea products at a bit more expensive rate, but nothing is worse than a dead pet so we can save a couple of bucks. There are a couple of issues with this product which I can't understand why they haven't fixed it since the 2019 recall. 1) There is no dosage per weight given. The same amount of medication is applied to an adult cat, as it is to a 12-week old kitten! As a scientist, I am appalled that this company can be so careless about this. 2) This product has a death rate of frickin 1/100!!!!! WTH!!! This is NOT acceptable at all!

Don't risk it, and even after giving baths for the fleas, please take your pet to the vet. The fleas are WAY worse after this medication, and her skin is bumpy and raised. Furthermore, the vet will be applying Revolution (or something similar) based on your pet's weight! You will get that assurance that the product is given according to weight. I really hope someone can raise awareness about this even more because this company is killing our beloved pets so they can make money.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Just like many other people in these reviews of Hartz, my dog too has been a victim of this "medication". We needed something to help with the flea issues she was having, but didn't have much money, so we thought we could trust Hartz. Before using the product, my youngest dog, who was 5 almost 6 at the time, had a clean bill of health and was not prone to seizures. After application about 3 or so days later, she started to convulse. My mother and I quickly drove her to the vet and after explaining to the vet tech, she told us to not use the product because of the danger it could cause to animals.

3 months later, everything seemed fine. No seizure since the visit to the vet. Then, my dog had yet another one just yesterday afternoon. If she were prone to having seizures, she would have some years ago. Interesting how they began once that poison known as Hartz was applied. NEVER again will I put my trust in something that nearly killed my dog. Other disgruntled owners have said once speaking to the company about the near death of their pet, Hartz blames us, the owners, for their negligence of safety. They claim we cannot read properly and put this on ourselves, when I followed the instructions to the T. The Hartz Flea and Tick drops were for my dog's size and weight class, yet it still messed her up. Because of this shameful product, she will never be the same. If you care about your fur babies, stay away from this product at all costs. Hartz certainly doesn't care about pet safety, only what profit they can bring in from unsuspecting owners.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I bought my 5 almost 6 month old cat who weighs around 11lbs Hartz flea and tick prevention ultra guard pro because she obviously has some fleas. After putting this product on my cat where directed less than 5 minutes later she started to foam at the mouth and became lethargic!! I called our vet right away and told them what was going on and the product being used. I was told to immediately drive her to an emergency center because the product placed on her is highly toxic!!! After hours at the emergency center and hundreds of dollars later we were finally able to bring her home! I will NEVER use Hartz products again and I will NEVER recommend using anything from them not even food products!! I can not believe that we almost lost our baby girl to some pet medication that we thought we could trust! My kids were devastated and said they will never forget that moment.

So if you think you're saving money by buying a little cheaper product DON'T. You will almost kill your pet by using their products or spend hundreds of dollars to save them! I’m so taken aback by this company and how they are still even allowed to have their products sold at stores. I should be refunded For all the vet bills and the Stress that myself.. my family and my cat were caused. We all would have been heartbroken if we lost her.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We bought Hartz flea and tick tubes to apply to back of the neck and right away "Fergie" (our 1 yr old cat) let out a screeching meow... and ran off. She's been lethargic for 2 days almost 3!! My wife called the vet and before she finished even telling her what was happening, she said, "Omg! Was it Hartz brand?" We said "yes". Vet said they see it a lot and animals die because of it!! Said to stay as far away from Hartz as possible!! Traumatic as hell for all of us and of course Ferg! I'm going to attach a pic if it lets me...

I've seen pics here of other people's cats with burnt, bald bleeding pus, with scan, etc... but nothing has come close to our cats burn mark!! She's doing a bit better, but was so out of it... way outta character. A class-action suit should be done for all of us! If that's a possibility, please reach out to me and I'll be on board in 1 Sec flat...They should be ashamed, and it should be off the ** shelves!!!! Shouldn't have to have X number of deaths first!!! Geez!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

On Monday, August 3, I had to rush my 5 year old cat to the vet due to her distress within fifteen minutes of applying this dangerous product!! She started to pant, tremble, and had the most heart wrenching vocalization of extreme distress. She has Pyrethrin Poisoning, flea and tick pesticide. As of today, Thursday the 6th, she remains in the hospital being treated for tremors and twitching.

By administering this product to my furry family members, I should have peace of mind that it's a safe product! The packaging of this product does NOT mention the medical risks associated with this product, but instead only lists "first-aid" provisions. This needs to change! I've been reading posts about people's pets dying from using Hartz products specifically. How many more have to die before this product is banned from use!!?

Original review: July 22, 2020

I washed my dog with Hartz Oatmeal shampoo. After 2 days applied the Hartz Flea and Tick Drops to the small of my Pit Bull's back. The very next day she was vomiting and lethargic and would not eat. On Saturday My Family Friend died due to the use the Hartz Flea and Tick medication. @ different Veterinarians confirmed this. I do Not recommend any products of HARTZ.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I put the flea and tick on my dog yesterday and when I went to take her our today in the afternoon I seen this terrible bloody mark on her and I was immediately like wtf, so I call the place and they go on abt "Thanks for calling us and I'm so sorry this happened. It's very rare that this happens," and gave me a case number. "Oh and take her to the vet too." I cannot afford a vet and now I have no choice. Me and my husband are very upset and worried bc I seen all the reviews abt pets dying and I feel so bad for applying it to her. So anyways I also noticed her collar has been extremely corroded and the burn is spreading farther down her neck. Getting worse by the hour.

I am going to do my best to sue this company. I'm truly disgusted with this and all they can say is, "Oh we're very sorry. BTW take her to the vet." Wait till you see the pics. NEVER USE HARTZ MOUNTAIN FLEA AND TICK DROPS. I never will touch this horrible stuff again. Oh yah and the box says reactions are rare but mild if they do occur which is very misleading and a flat out lie.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information