1.10/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

336 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

Should have consulted my vet first, but I grabbed a box of this Ultra Guard Pro along with some groceries, thinking I would save myself a second trip to a pet supply store. I read the directions carefully and even the pictures showed how the topical solution should be applied. IMMEDIATELY, my cat started twisting, trying to lick it off. I quickly applied a dry towel to the area wiping off all that I could. Well thank God I did! The next morning my poor cat had a bald spot with dried blood on it. I medicated the sore for a few days & although my cat doesn’t appear to be in any pain or discomfort, his bald spot is getting longer & no hair is growing back, in the affected area. So furious & irate, now I find all these complaints, on this site. I called the store manager at the Walmart I purchased the box from, and complained. I found my receipt & returned what was left. Just like the others, I’m shocked this product is still in the market!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I just used the drops on my 2 cats and within 15 minutes they were wailing with pain and terrified. I couldn’t get them in the shower but I was able to wash off most of the medicine. Now I’m sitting here watching them try to calm down and get some sleep and not knowing what can happen in the next hours. I now have to lose a day from work to take them to the vet. Why this company is still in business is beyond me.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My cat Kip is a 6 yr old longhaired female. Not her first time using product. She was badly burned between shoulder blades...huge bald spot. Her fur is falling out...big bald streaks above both all the way back to ears. I'm not a happy mommy! Someone needs to be held responsible for our pain and suffering. My cat is traumatized as I am.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I applied the first tube of flea drops to my 2 year old healthy cat and I found him dead 40 minutes later. I never even saw him exhibit any signs that he was ill from the drops and he was acting normally prior to applying it. My vet told me he's seen other pets die but when he contacted the company they had told him there weren't enough reported deaths to warrant pulling their product. I went home and threw every Hartz product in my home into the trash! Pets are like family to my children and me. Losing our Sabo so suddenly like that dealt a blow!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Please do not use this product. I don't even know why they sell it. It's very harmful. As soon as I apply a tube on one of my cats all three of my cats they all immediately started acting like they were trying to get the stuff off of them so soon as I seen that I went to go wash it off and they're better now but I will never use this product again and I suggest no one else uses this product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I'm sitting here right now watching my dog die because of this HARTZ product! He is only 6 years old! He is my daughter's service dog and she is a mess over this! He is drooling and has diarrhea and is very lethargic. He hasn't eaten in 2 days and he looks like he might be even going into convulsions every now and then. The vet had already told me he'd heard of this happening with Hartz products and have been telling all his patients not to use them! I was told it's too late for my dog so I'm waiting for the office to open so I can bring them in and relieve his pain. But because of the pain this company has given me and my family I will have no forgiveness for them! THIS IS SO HEARTBREAKING FOR A HANDICAP CHILD TO LOST HER SERVICE DOG IN SUCH A WAY SO SOON!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My cat started drooling profusely, meowing and acting very sick. I washed it off as best I could. She is some better now, but will not let me hold her. I think it almost killed her. I will never use this product again. She still is not acting like herself. I applied it as directed. Do not put this on your pet. She seems disoriented.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have used this before without any problems. This time she is extremely uncomfortable. I have given her 2 baths and she is still not happy. I will never use this product again. Save your money and your dogs.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

2 days after application I came home to find my 8-month-old large, healthy kitten in bathroom violently scratching wound on head. The flea guard I put on Bear to help him caused him to scratch away his own skin. I would never recommend anyone use this on a pet they love. I couldn't afford emergency vet fees. I tried to wash sore with sterile water but he kept running from me. Has been eating and drinking. Not scratching constantly now. Seems some better except for bloody raw sore on back of head and neck.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I just put this flea treatment on my cat, and about 10 minutes later he started shaking really bad and drooling profusely. Then he peed on the floor which he has never ever done before so I grabbed him and put him in the bath, when I was washing the treatment off I noticed he was bleeding and it gave him a chemical burn! Please do not use!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I applied the product to my Maltese & to my Bichon Frise, today. Nine hours later, not one flea has died. Weeks ago, I tried Hartz flea shampoo. It didn't kill one flea, either. I'll never trust this brand again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

DO NOT USE!!! Applied Hartz flea med to my cat between her shoulders, the next day she was lethargic and hiding. She stopped eating and I noticed fur was gone where the Hartz had been applied. Took her to the vet - luckily she is not poisoned. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I will not mince words. THIS ** STUFF SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE MARKET AND A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED. I applied this product to my 3 cats and within an hour one began running around the house screaming until it collapsed in a series of epileptic seizures. The poor little thing urinated and voided its bowels during one of these fits. The second cat had exactly the same signs and symptoms to a lesser extent but now appears to be STONED and unable to walk without falling over. My third cat... thankfully... showed only minor effects, mostly lethargy and lack of appetite. My sons began crying and looking for me to aid. They do ANYTHING to stop the pain of their "friends". Unfortunately I do not have the $1,200 to $1,800 I was quoted to have all three cats stay at the Vet to receive treatment. Hopefully time will be enough to heal my cats from this ** POISON.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

So I learned, the cheap is the most expensive, and the guilt I feel because of trying to save some cash I almost killed my pet doesn’t have any price. If you care about your pet never ever put anything of this brand even close to your house, is pure poison. My dog survived by a miracle I think, after a kind of hell she is recovering and just in case she has got an appointment with her veterinarian. I feel so bad. How is possible this thing is in the market? So if you want to prevent your dog from fleas and save you can kill him? No way again. Check this product in Internet, you will find scary stories left and right, so NEVER USE THIS THING IN YOUR PETS.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

After applying to my cat, and not even the whole tube, she started panting and running around the room like she was trying to get away from something. She was breathing very fast. I decided then and there not to use the rest of the tube and set it on my bedside table. The next day, there is a mark on the table where this product ate through the finish on the table. Never again. Thankfully my cat seems to be ok now. Will not use or recommend this product or brand to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This product made my roommate's cat convulse which we thought was just an allergic reaction because my cat seemed fine after application, but now it's 3 days later and my cat has a chemical burn where it was applied and she's in pain, and I now have to take my cat to the vet for treatment. I DO NOT recommend this product!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I used one tube this product on my average, 2-year-old healthy cat a couple weeks ago. He became lethargic shortly after and stopped eating. Now he is at the vet, severely dehydrated and underweight from chemical poisoning. Hartz customer service has not responded. A $10 tube has brought $400 in medical bills, and they have told me he might not make it. If they kill my cat, I'm going to sue. !!!BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Our cat, Tiger, developed a flea problem during the summer. We bought Hartz UltraGuard Topical Flea and Tick Prevention. It didn't seem to work to speak of, and we noticed that Tiger began to act strangely. He stopped eating, and began to either just lay about or be very restless. He gradually got better, but I would not recommend this product. I have since read that the active ingredient makes cats sick, and in several cases has resulted in death.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I'm going to keep this short and to the point. If you love, I repeat, if you love your pets, don't "ever" use Hartz line of flea products. My beloved cats could've died. One ended up with chemical burn, the other had seizure like symptoms and hyperventilated. I was scared of losing them both but by the grace of god, they survived this toxic poison they call flea drops! Never again! Thinking of a class action against them, this stuff needs to be taken off shelves everywhere!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Our dog is now on her deathbed due to this flea medicine. Do not use. It will severely hurt or kill your pet. Our dog is extremely lethargic and got an infection due to the medicine. We took her to the vet and without thousands of dollars of what we don't have she will die so we are just waiting for her to pass on. We have had her for the past 7 years. Extremely heartbroken and it's all because we decided to use Hartz Flea and Tick drops.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Sadly, I was very disappointed in the product. Bella??? is a long hair and weighs 12 lbs. indoor cat but, I carried a flea from outside. I used a tube nothing. Much dismay I waited, A couple of days itching, licking etc. I dosed her with a little dab more. I won't buy this again. We aren't infested or have had a real issue. It was more precaution.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

DO NOT USE HARTZ FLEA AND TICK ON YOUR BELOVED FURRY FRIENDS. I just used Hartz flea and tick droplets on my cats. One of them began immediately meowing in pain, and became extremely lethargic. The other began foaming at the mouth and then meowing in pain. I immediately bathed them both and the symptoms are getting better, however I would NEVER use this brand again. And would have never used it in the first place had I glanced at the online reviews. This is infuriating that Hartz is still even in business considering the plethora of negative reviews and adverse reactions to this medication.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Don't use HARTZ ULTRAGUARD PLUS FLEA and TICK MEDICINE ON YOUR CATS. Jake just wants nothing but lay in my lap mostly and slept for past 2 days. This was his 2nd time with this. I should've known it was the Hartz that did the last time. I washed it off but he's still really lethargic. POOR GUY.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

AVOID THIS PRODUCT! Today I applied Hartz Mountain Ultra Guard Plus Flea & Tick Prevention to my cat Sophie, in between her shoulder blades as instructed by the company's directions on the label. Within 10 minutes she was hyperventilating, lethargic, and suffering from what appeared to be a burn all over her back. After a $200 emergency veterinary visit, Sophie was diagnosed with a severe chemical burn from this product. If it is possible I will GLADLY take action against this company for producing and continuing to produce a product that is toxic and life threatening to the customers it claims to serve. Avoid this dangerous product.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bought this product at Walmart because my dog and cat kept scratching because of the flees. Soon after I applied it on my 6 year old cat she started pacing around the house, super weird. I started reading reviews and realized she was having a bad reaction to it, so I grabbed her to shower her (she don’t mind showering). She started screaming and went bathroom on herself. As soon as I washed that nasty stuff off of her she relaxed. Hopefully that was that and she’s ok now. I washed my Pomeranian right after. I’m not taking any chances! Wish I would have done research like I always do.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I used this product on my cat because he got fleas really bad. I didn't have the money to get the top of the line stuff so I settled for this and figured even if it didn't kill all the fleas, it would at least help some. After treating my cat, he started vomiting and having seizures. He got very sick so I took him to the vet. The vet told me he was surprised my cat was still alive. Kind of ironic. I bought this product to save money and ended up with an $800 vet bill. Do yourself a favor and just spend the extra money on something that won't kill your pet.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Pls don’t use this product. I put it on my cat to prevent ticks and fleas and within 2 days, my cat's fur that was under the collar was completely gone and her skin burnt. Clearly this product is full of nasty chemicals... I’d rather have my cat have fleas than burn her like this collar did. Spend more money on an actually decent product that won’t harm your pet.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

About a month ago I put Hartz Ultra Guard drops, nothing happened. I tried again. Well they hated having the medicine put on them, but I got it on them, No difference. Three days later they can’t even sit still, scratching and licking like crazy. I previously had two cats in PA. The medicine worked fine on them. I just don't understand what happened. These two are smaller than the ones I had in Pa. It just didn't work, so now I need to wait to put anything on them. It’s not as expensive but when it don't work, it’s money I don't have wasted.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

It is 11 pm. I gave my cat the drops at 2 pm. She is twitching, her skin is rolling, she has been hiding. I noticed her acting different. Not lovable as usual. I called the emergency vet hospital and they said she is having a seizure. She will possibly die. I'm praying so hard that she doesn't because I'm seriously going to take action. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. IT'S CHEAP BUT WILL COST YOUR PET'S LIFE.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Bought Hartz flea drops for my cat at Walmart because of price. I figured any product sold at Walmart would be safe for my cat but boy was I wrong about that! Ever since the day I used this flea product on my cat for the first & last time he has been stricken with horrible seizures. The seizures have caused him lots of pain & suffering, and losing use his back legs. Once again our government has failed us, & let some big company dictate their decision-making process.

Besides the fact that this product should have never been allowed on the market in the first place, someone should be in jail for the blatant obvious negligence of this well-documented poison that Hartz continues to sell & that our poor excuse of a United States government still is allowing to be sold to this day. I want to thank the good at Hartz, Walmart & US government for allowing this poison to still be on the shelves today. The day here before me that I now must put my cat down to relieve him from any more pain & suffering this horrible poison has caused him... thanks so much to everybody that’s responsible!

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information