2. Pets

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.97/5

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Reviews

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I bought this product labeled for dogs weighing 31-60 pounds. There is A lot of product in the tube. I did not want my dogs exposed to that much poison. Rather than using one full tube for each of my dogs. I modified the dose from one dose per tube to 4.5 doses per tube. It is just as deadly to fleas and ticks and is safe for my dogs.

The product needs to be in contact with the skin to do its job. My dogs' coats are only 1/4" to 1-inch long. A dog with a thick/dense double coat (under and outer coat) such as 50-60 pound Husky, Akita or German Shepard has super thick and very dense coats. They would need more of the product as their coats might prevent much of the product from reaching the skin. The natural coat of 40-60 pound Standard Poodle is intended to keep sticks and debris away from the skin when on hunts. Dogs of this size with these kinds of coats shouldn't have more than 1/4 of the recommended dose applied to their bodies. Very short-haired dogs such as my 31-pound short-haired Border Collie, 38-pound lab/Pitbull, and my 40-pound Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbull, only needed 1/5th of the entire tube each.

After modifying the dosage I also modified the way the product was applied. I applied the product with a light-hand beginning just ahead of their shoulders in a broken line the width of 5 hairs to the base of their tails. No more fleas and no side effects. I believe that problems have resulted from improper dosing on the part of Hartz. If I had used an entire tube any one of my dogs, he or she would have experienced the same symptoms, side-effects or may have died.

I believe that this one-size- dose-works-for-all is a serious mistake. I believe that Hartz has a very good product. But there is a very serious dosing error that is the core problem resulting in neurological toxicity and the avoidable suffering and deaths of many dogs. Topical Flea and Tick products typically contain powerful Neuro Toxins. This is how the work to kill fleas and ticks. They target the nervous system and brain. in very small doses they are usually safe for dogs, cats and yes humans. Insects are much smaller than dogs and cats. The very small amounts needed to kill these nasty pests should not be affecting the dogs. Hartz needs to reconsider how to dose this product. I feel that the concentrations of this pesticide should be based on 10-pound increments and the length and density of the dogs' coats.

It takes a whole less of this product to effectively treat 31-40 pound, smooth-haired, 1/4 to 1-inch length coat than it does for 31-40 pound dog with a dense double coat, a coat that drags on the floor or thick curly coat. Just as it takes less shampoo to wash super short hair than it does to wash thick or long hair. It is just common sense. Come on Hartz, you have a good thing here. Reconsider how you are packaging and the dosing guidelines for this product.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

We put this products on our cat as directed and within 24 hours his fur was gone and the skin was burned and bleeding. We cleaned it off as soon as we noticed it. We will never buy from this company again after reading some of the other reviews similar to our issue.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I put this product on my cat and it does not seem safe to use. There was so much of it. I placed it between the shoulder blades and her eyes were burning and the smell was so strong. I will never use this product again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have used the Ultra Guard (purple tubes, not the Pro), in the past and it was inexpensive and it worked as they said it would. Usually lasting 30 days. I have 7 cats. I previously had a problem when the topical medicine was applied and latter added a flea collar maybe 2 weeks later (bad idea). One cat out of 7 got a little sick, removed the flea collar and he recovered. This June I began using the Ultra Guard Pro as the cheaper stuff wasn't available. It didn't work at all. 3 days after application all my cats were infested with fleas, worse than ever. After 5 days it was even worse. After 7 days only a bath worked. On day 10 fleas still infesting. Day 15 another bath. 1 cat later died of flea bites, or over exposure to medicine that didn't work after ripping itself raw. Yes the fleas can infect the animal too or excessive bites cause anemia which can cause the animal's organs to shut down. This product is horrible.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I applied Hartz flea drops to my 62lb red nosed pit bull, which is a very sturdy dog, and she won't move and is breathing very slowly. I have to take her to the vet!! This stuff is poison and my baby better not die! How can they still sell this crap if it's poisoning our pets!?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Hartz Products harm animals! We bought the flea and tick Ultraguard for our cat and a few days later I found her dead. She had had a seizure. This product needs pulled off shelves! If it was killing children, there would be a recall! What do we have to do to get rid of it?!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

My experience with the company is very very poor. I put this medication on my cat Lilo and within 30 minutes he was disoriented and then less than 20 minutes after he started having seizures I almost lost him. Had to rush him to the doctor and now he is on seizure medication for the rest of his life. His motor skills are messed up. His century is messed up. He is scared of everything now and all he does is sleep. He used to be an active chap. Not scared of anything. My opinion this should be took it off the market. Don't want no other to go through what I've been going through. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

My cats have been scratching themselves the past couple of days. I checked them and they had fleas. I found Hartz flea treatment at the store since I couldn't afford the top notch medicine. The package was Hartz Ultraguard pro and it stated it killed fleas in 15 minutes. I squeezed the solution on my cat's neck and within minutes, she started to scream and hiss, running all around the house. Hissing at the other cats and I. I figured it was because of the smell and her first time having a flea treatment. A couple hours later, I found her panting, scratching at her neck and hissing all in one. I looked up the medicine and found this medication to be toxic! I immediately gave all the cats a bath in Dawn dish soap. The following day, my cat is being a loner and not Socializing very well. I hope this product doesn't kill my frickin' cat!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Hartz flea spray killed our 4-year old kitty. My 7 year old daughter is devastated. I am extremely upset that I was unaware of the hazards on using Hartz brand flea products. Hartz uses insecticides/pesticides that are poisonous to humans and animals. Hartz obviously doesn’t care. Victim pictured.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

This product is absolutely horrible. I bought it on the 29th of last month and it is now just the 12th of September and she is infested in fleas and has been since the day after we put it on her. She's miserable. She's scratching everywhere. I have flea eggs dirt everything in my bed. This product is horrible. If I had the receipt from Walmart I would request my money back. Anyway I don't recommend putting this on your pet. She was lethargic for a couple of days after we put it on her. We put it on the outside dog and our little min pin and all three dogs acted the same way and all three dogs are covered in fleas I mean covered. I'm enclosing pictures. Bobbie **

Not sure about Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information