1.20/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

293 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

On Memorial Day we took our dog a bath with Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo. 3 hrs later our dog started to shake, throw up and could not walk, would not eat or drink. We took her to the vet and we were told she had been poisoned. Of course we were in such distress we did not recall the bath. However, vet bill was crazy but she made it thru. However, still left us wondering what did it. She is a inside dog so we were very confused. Today I see my cousin post of her dog after bath with Hartz and sounded the same so I agree this should no longer be sold.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Last night I applied Hartz Ultraguard to my 15lb 3yo cat. Within 6 hours he stopped eating, wouldn't drink water and wouldn't play with his toys (my cat is very playful and always wants to eat). He wouldn't let me pet him or hold him. He didn't have any interest in anything and he just hid behind the couch. I did a lot of research and read to give him a bath with Dawn dish soap, within 10 minutes he was eating and playing again. DO NOT use this product on your cat. Many cats have died. Yes it's a cheap product but I'd rather spend more money and have a cat that is alive.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I bought Hartz Flea and Tick Spray for dogs - supposedly kills fleas and tick for up to 7 days. Took the family on an outing and made sure to spray the dog really well. She still got ticks and they did not die. I had to remove ticks burrowing into her! DO NOT BUY THIS SPRAY!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have used this product for about a year on my dogs and it is effective in the treatment and prevention of fleas and mosquitos. There are a lot of hateful reviews on here, blaming the company for everything. To begin with, you guys ARE aware that this IS a poison. That's why it kills fleas. I wish I didn't have to use any at all because I don't care for toxic chemicals in general but considering the alternative, you do what you gotta do. Of course there are going to be side effects in a number of patients because it's a POISON. That is why there warning labels and precisely measured doses. They even err on the side of less, just to be safe. For the record, I don't work for the company or anything but people, get some perspective!! Personally I am grateful that I can purchase this over the counter for such a cheap price.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am so upset I didn’t read these reviews before treating my cat with this horrible chemical. My cat became sick and wouldn’t eat for 2 days, I had to go out of town and when I came back her fur was burnt off of the areas I treated. She has scabs and burns from the medicine. Even though it’s been 5 days since I used this crap, I am going to take her a full bath and get her into the vet ASAP. Such a tragedy this product is available to the public. I’m also worried about what I have been exposed to because I applied it with my bare hands. Disgusting this brand is still in business after these stories.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Do not use this Ultra flea and tick on any pets!!! My two precious cats I used it on one losing hair and my baby had such a terrible reaction. I washed it off with Dawn dish detergent and I still have cats. THIS STUFF IS NO GOOD FOR ANY ANIMAL. THEY NEED TO HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE COMPANY. Anyone who wishes to participate in this lawsuit please email **. Let’s take this company out of the market of killing our pets.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I used the Hartz flea shampoo on my lit. girl service dog and the next day she became paralyzed in back legs. She won't eat drink or anything. Took her to vet. They wanted more money than I had so we had to take my baby home to die because of a flea shampoo. Trying to explain this to my 6 yr little girl was so hard. All my little girl keeps doing is praying for her. Please people don't use this shampoo.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My 13 year old loves to go outside and became infested with fleas. I purchased Hartz cat flea drops for adult cats and applied between shoulder blades. For about a week my cat had decreased appetite. Unfortunately my street experienced a tornado that did a lot of damage and I did not wash it off my cat for several days. A week later and my cat is having labored breathing and will not eat or drink. The vet gave him shots and IV fluids but said it will have to wear off now and he may not make it. I am so upset that this could happen to my pet. Please do not buy this product. I never will again!

Original review: March 21, 2018

About 4 days ago I applied Hartz flea powder for cats and kittens to my 5 year old Cat Stephanie... She began losing weight rapidly and had a ton more fleas and she was an indoor cat... it was almost as if the powder attracted more fleas! She had labored breathing and stopped eating and drinking, she could not walk or move in her last 3 days on earth. She was healthy as a horse prior to powder being applied and then boom last night March 20, 2018 she passed on to the rainbow bridge! For the sake of your pets do not buy this horrid product I have been in shock and disbelief. I feel horribly guilty as I put the powder on her. Please don’t buy this product!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I bought Hartz flea drops & used it on 2 of my cats. Within a week they both started to lose their fur. Then within 2 weeks my one cat started to lose weight. Yesterday when I woke up - my dear sweet girl had died. This product NEEDS to be taken off of the market. It kills cats. I wonder how many other cats have died from it being put on them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My cat just had the worst reaction to the flea treatment!! I wish I read these reviews before using this poison! As soon as I applied it he ran so fast completely out of control. I panicked, grabbed a wet cloth and immediately wiped off what I could and while I was cleaning him with water (which cats don’t like) he started purring...thank goodness! I just made him an appointment with the vet and all I can say is he better be ok! To all my other furry friend parents do not use this product. When I called the vet they told me to come in today and that they have seen Hartz kill animals.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I bought the Sergeant's liquid flea medicine for my cat back in November & never noticed a problem. However when I applied it to my cat, between his shoulder blades, he ran after just getting a couple drops on him. I got him & applied the rest but had to really hold him down. I thought it was because he smelled it before I put it on him. He ran away from me again & once he calmed down just a little I noticed he wouldn't sit still no more than a few seconds. I thought it was because he could still smell the medicine. I was told by a Facebook cat group not to use the cheap store brand stuff because it has killed cats. I got a washcloth & put my Dove body wash on it & washed off what I could of it, he laid there like it felt so good me washing it off.

Now tonight, a day later I felt a dime sized knot on his skin right where I applied these drops. He seems to be acting ok so far but has neuter surgery tomorrow. I hope this medicine doesn't affect the anesthesia the vet will use. I'll talk to the vet about what happened. They need to take this cheap, deadly flea treatment off the market! They better hope nothing else happens to my cat! I see where Hartz has the same deadly stuff they keep selling.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I treated my dog Roxi with Hartz Ultra Guard Dual Action. After treatment she did begin acting differently. After a couple of days from the time of the treatment, I noticed breathing problems, not eating or going poop, lumps swelling more each day and lumps multiplied. She is on her second day of antibiotics and pain meds. And a good bath to get that crap off her. I will report back in a couple of days to let you know how my poor baby is doing. Added pictures of non irritated portion of skin vs red irritation and lumps and the product.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Tonight I will be putting my male cat to sleep. 2 1/2 months ago I used this product on my cats. We have 3 girls and a boy cat. My boy cat changed his personality and eating habits. After about a month he stopped eating most of his fav treats. He started losing weight. Now he won't even eat. He can barely walk or meow. He is a Himalayan so he is very furry. He doesn't like to be held so when I had to pick him up to carry him up to bed because he couldn't climb the steps. I burst out crying. He is so bony. He does this little sound that makes me think he is in pain. I so despise Hartz. How can they sell something knowing they cause so many animals pain? Merry Christmas Hartz! Thanks for harming my cat???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I used this product on my dogs. One of my dogs started having major problems. Her back legs became very stiff and she became very weak and was unable to go up or down the stairs. After $500.00 dollars of veterinary charges we found out using Hartz products was not recommended. We were told to wash our dogs with Dawn to absorb the oily Hartz Dual Action and then wash with their normal shampoo. I threw out all my Hartz products and my dog is back to playing with my other dog and is able to go up and down the stairs. These products are harming our pets.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

How they are still in business is beyond me. A few years ago, I lost my healthy 16 year old cat due to renal failure. It all went downhill for her after I tried this product. A friend brought fleas in my home, she got them bad, I tried this and shortly after, all the problems occurred. Don't use this product.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

DO NOT USE Ultra Guard Pro for cats. Instantly, my cat began running and hissing, making a distressed sound, and panting uncontrollably. I called Hartz. They agreed she was having a negative reaction. Suggested we wait until she calms down then to give her a bath or wash the area. I thought she was going to die. I did wash the area as soon as she calmed down which was a few hours. She seems better this morning. PLEASE DO NOT USE ON YOUR PETS!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I bought three collars for dogs and two for cats. They worked for the first three days and now the fleas are right under the collars. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE PRODUCTS. It seems this is just like everything you buy these days. Everything is as con and a joke.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Hartz flea drops doesn't work. Cats still had fleas and bald. Didn't do nothing for the fleas and also making all 3 of my cats go bald. Y'all shouldn't sell crap and steal folks' money when they trying to take care of our fur babies. All the products should be pulled off the shelfs!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I used Hartz UltraGuard Rid flea and tick shampoo on my puppy and two days later her back legs were stiff and could not walk and would not eat or drink. I didn't understand what happened to her so I called a vet and after $200 of x-rays and test the vet did not know what was wrong with her. Put her on anti-inflammatories and pain meds and now it is a week later and she is no better. I have an a appointment for a second opinion at another vet but after I came across reading some of these other reviews my puppy's symptoms are exactly the same as another consumer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I recently applied the Hartz flea treatment to my 5-month old cat. Not even a week later my cat starting vomiting, two days after got lethargic and in tremendous pain and died. He died in my arms a painful death. Had a moment of convulsions. I will never recommend this product to anyone! My heart is broken Hartz! I wish I would have done my research.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Let me tell you about Hartz Ultraguard! We put it on our baby girl to help with fleas but take my advice. Do not use anything by them. My husband put it down her back and the next morning she was so sick!!! She had it coming out both ends!! I came home and she started throwing up and with diarrhea and I got to thinking about it and throw her in the bathtub and started scrubbing her trying to get it off of her. She was miserable poor thing. She wouldn't play, eat, drink, nothing. Later on I got to researching and they have lawsuits against them!!! And take it from me it did not work. She had more fleas after using it than before!!! Thank God our baby is ok. It could have been worser!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Because of this product my cat was vomiting for weeks stopped eating and had to stay in the vet's hospital for 2 days. It cost us $500 to save my fur baby and he's still not the same a week after coming home from the vet. If I could afford a lawyer I'd be suing this company for every penny they have. You’re a horrible company and I feel sorry for your unsuspecting customers who don't know what they're getting themselves into. My cat could've died due to liver damage thanks to your product.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I bought this product a few weeks ago for my kitty who was struggling with fleas. I had read some reviews saying their cat reacted badly to it while some others said it worked fine, so I went with the benefit of the doubt that my kitty would be fine, but I was wrong. Minutes after I applied the medicine she started trying to lick and rub it off, also acting very timid and trying to avoid me. I read these signs very quickly and heard they meant no good for my cat so I quickly brought her to the bath and washed the medicine off with kitty shampoo, and afterwards she was totally fine.

Today I did some research on the ingredient in the medicine, Etofenprox. And after reading some stuff on this page, ** it became apparent to me that this medicine should not at all be used on cats and scarcely on dogs. This is because etofenprox is a pesticide that is a form of synthetic pyrethroid. And with this all forms of synthetic pyrethroids are hazardous to cats. This is because the cat's body keeps it absorbed for longer meaning it can do more damage and cats do not have the required enzymes to tone down the toxicity of the poison. Now yes some cats can react to it worse than other with it being potentially fatal, but this does not mean you should risk it.

Now from to the article I mentioned above, "According to a report by the EPA from 2010, most problems occurred with spot-ons containing permethrin, phenothrin, cyphenothrin (all are synthetic pyrethroids) and amitraz, not approved for use on cats but erroneously used on them." Using these types of pesticides on smaller dogs can also be detrimental to them, but it is not as risky as using them on cats. There is also no antidote for etofenprox poisoning. If you had applied the pesticide to your cat though and washed it off them thoroughly with gentle dish soap like dawn or pet shampoo and water within 20 minutes or less of applying it, they should be fine.

Now if you had given this kind of flea medicine to your cat and have not washed it off within 30 minutes of applying it or around that time washing it off did not help, immediately take them to an emergency-vet service if they show signs of any of the following. Timidness, hiding, fear of you, excessive hair-loss, over-attentiveness to the application site, drooling, vomiting, lethargy, or anything else very suspicious of your pet.

Now the vet cannot get rid of the poison in the cat's system but they can administer many things to help with accidental ingestion, spasms, excessive drooling, vomiting/diarrhea, and supplements to protect the liver. If a vet refuses to help your pet or says that there isn't anything they can do for them I'm just letting you know that that is very untrue. For accidental ingestion activated charcoal, magnesium sulfate or sodium sulfate in water can be administered. Spasms can be treated with anticonvulsants, and hyper-salivation can be treated with atropine. Then Calcium gluconate and vitamins of the B complex can be used to protect the liver.

Anyway, etofenprox is usually very poorly absorbed by the skin anyway leading to most animals incompletely ingesting 14 to 51 percent of it. About 90 percent of the ingested chemical will come out in the animals waste though. So in the end, just don't use this product, it's a dangerous waste of time and money. You should also research the ingredients in what kind of flea treatment you put on your cat to make sure ahead of time it is not a synthetic pyrethroid.

Examples of products that are safe for cats are Frontline Plus / Pet Action Plus (using fipronil) Advantage (using imidacloprid) and at least in my case Cheristin for cats (using spinetoram). I say in my case because some reports say that Cheristin is just a reboot of an older flea treatment that was taken off shelves for being deadly, but my kitty didn't have anything bad happen to her because of it, though it did lose effectiveness after just a week, and it doesn't contain any insect growth regulators so the eggs, larvae, and pupae did not die. Then there is that fleas can become immune to frontline and advantage if used consistently so I would recommend switching between the two every month, and only using flea treatments as symptoms persist. If you keep applying treatments to your pet more than a month after there is no sign of fleas on them, fleas will very possibly become immune to it.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

So this past weekend I noticed my cat had some discomfort and itching. I checked him out and found some fleas. Took a drive to Walmart and got some Sergeant's Flea shampoo, some Hartz flea powder and a Hartz flea collar. Back at home I washed my cat dried him then I applied the Hartz powder. 15 mins went by I went down my stairs and I felt a little funny, went to my kitchen started taking the collar out of its packing sitting on a stool. I lost my balance. My heart was racing and I couldn't focus on anything. My vision was blurred. My mind was racing. My heart was pounding. I didn't understand what was happening.

I went out my front door and sat on my porch for some fresh air, in through the nose out through the mouth trying to control my breathing but I couldn't see straight. I couldn't focus. I felt a panic attack coming on and I had to dial 911. I've never done this before. I've never felt that before. I was ashamed when 15 min later the paramedics were checking my heart rate and blood pressure. They told me I was fine.

After they left I was pale. When I looked in the mirror my mouth was dry and as I washed my face I saw the Hartz powder near my sink. When I read the container is when it all came together that I had been poisoned or chemically induced with whatever is in this product. To each it's own but this product is dangerous for pets and for humans. I don't understand what they mean by apply it to your pet but don't touch it? What does that mean?! My cat wanders my whole house, how can I myself or anyone else not come into contact with some remnants of this product? Anyways be safe all and read all the labels.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I wish I would have known about this product before-hand. I would have NEVER have bought it or used it. It caused renal failure in my otherwise healthy five year-old female cat, Sugar. She went from a healthy weight to nothing but skin and bones in less than a week. She stopped eating, stopped drinking, and would rarely move on her own. She finally died, in my arms, tonight, not more than 90 minutes ago. I am beyond furious and heartbroken. WHY IS THIS PRODUCT STILL ALLOWED TO BE SOLD?!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I bought the cat Hartz Ultra Guard Plus. Put it on my cat as parents used Hartz products for our dog back in the 1950-60's. This product made my cat sick. She would not eat. Just drank lots of water. I am an old man 71 years old. My gentle loving female cat 3 years old suffered and died because of Hartz poison. Why are they allowed to continue to make it. And sell it. My cat was never sick a day in her life until I put these drops on her neck. Now she is dead. Buried her this morning.

I would like to beat the hell out of someone at Hartz for this. You know it's poison yet you keep making money selling it. I bought it at Walmart. Tried to email them to ask them to take it off their shelves but almost impossible to do as the forms are formatted to do what Walmart wants or it won't go through Bullcrap. If I could give it 0 stars I would but must give at least 1 or this will not go through.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Hartz flea medicine - This stuff is abrasive and dangerous for your pet. Had a bottle spill in a container and got on a electronic cigarette lighter made of a rubberized coating and the medicine ate away at the rubber on it... I strongly do not recommend using this product ever.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Today on 8/24/2017, I lost my sweet cat of 9 years. I bought both of these products and used them as directed on my cat. She ran after I only got 2 sprays on her back, but she let me put the flea collar on. This was a mere 2 weeks ago. Soon after, she started acting different, not as active as usual, and stayed in the same place on my chair for days... It took me a week to notice her food wasn't being eaten... And she wasn't acting normal. I thought maybe it was stress, or the storms we had been having. Until a few days ago, I picked her up and could feel her spine. I hugged her and loved on her, but she didn't act right. Then she hid for a few days, and I found her hiding spot last night... Well... She was skin and bones!

I took her to the vet today, and she had a stroke in my arms. She had to be sedated and put to sleep. I know it was these products... And I wish I had read reviews before using any of it... And this was the only new thing used around my cat... She has never been outside in her 9 years. Never changed her food... It was this horrible poison that slowly killed my cat! Something needs to be done about this company... I am crying so hard because of this... Take this crap off the market before any more beloved pets are killed! I don't have a receipt or package the collar came in... But I still have this bottle of poison!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

We just got a dog and it brought fleas in the house and gave my 3 house cats fleas. Even though the dog used this product beforehand. Gave it to the cats, same as everyone else. It made them drool, walk funny and in a daze for a couple of days. We have more fleas in the whole house. Do yourself and your pets a favor buy the ones that cost more because I'm spending more money on getting rid of them from here. Hartz, you suck!

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information