1.17/5

321 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This product made my roommate's cat convulse which we thought was just an allergic reaction because my cat seemed fine after application, but now it's 3 days later and my cat has a chemical burn where it was applied and she's in pain, and I now have to take my cat to the vet for treatment. I DO NOT recommend this product!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I used one tube this product on my average, 2-year-old healthy cat a couple weeks ago. He became lethargic shortly after and stopped eating. Now he is at the vet, severely dehydrated and underweight from chemical poisoning. Hartz customer service has not responded. A $10 tube has brought $400 in medical bills, and they have told me he might not make it. If they kill my cat, I'm going to sue. !!!BEWARE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Our cat, Tiger, developed a flea problem during the summer. We bought Hartz UltraGuard Topical Flea and Tick Prevention. It didn't seem to work to speak of, and we noticed that Tiger began to act strangely. He stopped eating, and began to either just lay about or be very restless. He gradually got better, but I would not recommend this product. I have since read that the active ingredient makes cats sick, and in several cases has resulted in death.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I'm going to keep this short and to the point. If you love, I repeat, if you love your pets, don't "ever" use Hartz line of flea products. My beloved cats could've died. One ended up with chemical burn, the other had seizure like symptoms and hyperventilated. I was scared of losing them both but by the grace of god, they survived this toxic poison they call flea drops! Never again! Thinking of a class action against them, this stuff needs to be taken off shelves everywhere!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Our dog is now on her deathbed due to this flea medicine. Do not use. It will severely hurt or kill your pet. Our dog is extremely lethargic and got an infection due to the medicine. We took her to the vet and without thousands of dollars of what we don't have she will die so we are just waiting for her to pass on. We have had her for the past 7 years. Extremely heartbroken and it's all because we decided to use Hartz Flea and Tick drops.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Sadly, I was very disappointed in the product. Bella??? is a long hair and weighs 12 lbs. indoor cat but, I carried a flea from outside. I used a tube nothing. Much dismay I waited, A couple of days itching, licking etc. I dosed her with a little dab more. I won't buy this again. We aren't infested or have had a real issue. It was more precaution.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

DO NOT USE HARTZ FLEA AND TICK ON YOUR BELOVED FURRY FRIENDS. I just used Hartz flea and tick droplets on my cats. One of them began immediately meowing in pain, and became extremely lethargic. The other began foaming at the mouth and then meowing in pain. I immediately bathed them both and the symptoms are getting better, however I would NEVER use this brand again. And would have never used it in the first place had I glanced at the online reviews. This is infuriating that Hartz is still even in business considering the plethora of negative reviews and adverse reactions to this medication.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Don't use HARTZ ULTRAGUARD PLUS FLEA and TICK MEDICINE ON YOUR CATS. Jake just wants nothing but lay in my lap mostly and slept for past 2 days. This was his 2nd time with this. I should've known it was the Hartz that did the last time. I washed it off but he's still really lethargic. POOR GUY.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

AVOID THIS PRODUCT! Today I applied Hartz Mountain Ultra Guard Plus Flea & Tick Prevention to my cat Sophie, in between her shoulder blades as instructed by the company's directions on the label. Within 10 minutes she was hyperventilating, lethargic, and suffering from what appeared to be a burn all over her back. After a $200 emergency veterinary visit, Sophie was diagnosed with a severe chemical burn from this product. If it is possible I will GLADLY take action against this company for producing and continuing to produce a product that is toxic and life threatening to the customers it claims to serve. Avoid this dangerous product.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bought this product at Walmart because my dog and cat kept scratching because of the flees. Soon after I applied it on my 6 year old cat she started pacing around the house, super weird. I started reading reviews and realized she was having a bad reaction to it, so I grabbed her to shower her (she don’t mind showering). She started screaming and went bathroom on herself. As soon as I washed that nasty stuff off of her she relaxed. Hopefully that was that and she’s ok now. I washed my Pomeranian right after. I’m not taking any chances! Wish I would have done research like I always do.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I used this product on my cat because he got fleas really bad. I didn't have the money to get the top of the line stuff so I settled for this and figured even if it didn't kill all the fleas, it would at least help some. After treating my cat, he started vomiting and having seizures. He got very sick so I took him to the vet. The vet told me he was surprised my cat was still alive. Kind of ironic. I bought this product to save money and ended up with an $800 vet bill. Do yourself a favor and just spend the extra money on something that won't kill your pet.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Pls don’t use this product. I put it on my cat to prevent ticks and fleas and within 2 days, my cat's fur that was under the collar was completely gone and her skin burnt. Clearly this product is full of nasty chemicals... I’d rather have my cat have fleas than burn her like this collar did. Spend more money on an actually decent product that won’t harm your pet.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

About a month ago I put Hartz Ultra Guard drops, nothing happened. I tried again. Well they hated having the medicine put on them, but I got it on them, No difference. Three days later they can’t even sit still, scratching and licking like crazy. I previously had two cats in PA. The medicine worked fine on them. I just don't understand what happened. These two are smaller than the ones I had in Pa. It just didn't work, so now I need to wait to put anything on them. It’s not as expensive but when it don't work, it’s money I don't have wasted.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

It is 11 pm. I gave my cat the drops at 2 pm. She is twitching, her skin is rolling, she has been hiding. I noticed her acting different. Not lovable as usual. I called the emergency vet hospital and they said she is having a seizure. She will possibly die. I'm praying so hard that she doesn't because I'm seriously going to take action. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. IT'S CHEAP BUT WILL COST YOUR PET'S LIFE.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Bought Hartz flea drops for my cat at Walmart because of price. I figured any product sold at Walmart would be safe for my cat but boy was I wrong about that! Ever since the day I used this flea product on my cat for the first & last time he has been stricken with horrible seizures. The seizures have caused him lots of pain & suffering, and losing use his back legs. Once again our government has failed us, & let some big company dictate their decision-making process.

Besides the fact that this product should have never been allowed on the market in the first place, someone should be in jail for the blatant obvious negligence of this well-documented poison that Hartz continues to sell & that our poor excuse of a United States government still is allowing to be sold to this day. I want to thank the good at Hartz, Walmart & US government for allowing this poison to still be on the shelves today. The day here before me that I now must put my cat down to relieve him from any more pain & suffering this horrible poison has caused him... thanks so much to everybody that’s responsible!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Wow, I wish I had read these very helpful reviews BEFORE putting Hartz Ultra Guard on my two adult male cats! Within a few minutes after putting this medicine on both of them, the 3 year old started running at top speed throughout the house and was alternately agitated, howling, panting, and sneezing! He has never reacted to flea medicine in this way before! Between his bursts of running, he would collapse on the floor looking completely lethargic. I immediately called the phone number on the package, but the recording said the business was closed for the weekend and directed me to another "Health & Safety" phone number.

I called that number and gave the customer rep on the phone all the details she asked for from the package. She reassured me that he was in no immediate danger, saying he probably had just a bad allergic reaction, but she suggested I wash it off with some dishwashing liquid on a wet washcloth. After doing that, he did seem a little bit more like himself, and he even ate some food. Meanwhile, my 12 year old cat is still hiding in the hallway coat closet, but as soon as I can get to him, I will be washing him off as well. Do NOT buy this product!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS POISON ON YOUR FUR BABIES!!! I used this product on my adult cat. He's approximately 12 lbs. Within twenty minutes he was yowling in pain, refusing to move, not allowing us to touch him. I was certain I had just accidentally killed my fur baby. I quickly looked at the reviews and thankfully bathed him in time to get it off. This all happened within the last hour. He seems much better now, and more like himself. A Little traumatized, but good. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT ON ANY ANIMAL!!! IT IS AWFUL!!! Need to be recalled permanently!!! Hartz is evil and unprofessional to continue to allow this product on the shelves. Animal cruelty is a horrendous act!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I purchased Hartz flea medication for my 2 adult cats. The medication (Ultraguard Topical Flea & Tick Prevention for cats and kittens) is for 5lbs and up. My 10lb cat fell ill first about 14 hours after application. Her head hung low, her pupils were dilated and she was obviously in physical pain and wouldn't eat or play (she always loves to play). She kept twitching her back hair and shaking her head and ran away when we tried to touch her. I took her to the vet and after I got home I noticed our 17lb cat was beginning to have symptoms.

She looked to be in pain and refused to be touched and had a scared look in her eyes. I think because of her size her body was just handling it a little better so I turned around and took her to the vet too. They've been in care for 6 hours now. Bathed, fluids, meds and observation. They will recover but I'm certain my 10lb cat was close to dying. There's no doubt Hartz was poisoning my cats. Beware and report every incident to NPIC (National Poison Information Center) so we can get this stuff off the shelves! They won't even tell you what the 60% (Other Ingredients) are in their medication.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I wish I would have thought to read the reviews before I ended up torturing my cats with this product! This was the only flea drops Walmart had on the shelf. After 10 minutes of applying this to my cats they were panting, drooling, wobbling, scratching, and growling! I am absolutely beside myself knowing that I inflicted this pain upon my babies. I washed them as best as i could. They are both hiding now and highly irritated. I hope they are ok. I will be calling the vet in the morning. This product should be removed from the shelves!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Please NEVER use Hartz Dual Action. I put it on my dog, within 24 hours she was having seizures. We bathed her immediately when we noticed this, it was in her system too long. After 12 hours we noticed she was not the same. She couldnt walk, she wouldnt go potty, she wouldnt eat and she was never her bubbly self. I picked her up to take her outside and she died in my arms! I am devastated, she was in excellent health until I used this product on her. Hartz, you should be ashamed that you have this product on the shelf. BEWARE consumer, if you love your fur baby stay away from Hartz products. I buried my baby yesterday!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Gave Hartz flea medicine to my dog on a Friday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, my dog was at the vet. My vet did X-rays, blood work, ultrasound. They sent him to emergency vet who then gave him charcoal around the clock, an IV for 2 days and muscle relaxer for his facial twitching. Please do NOT use this product. It is a poisonous toxin that is NOT regulated. The company should be put out of business for harming our pets!!!

Original review: July 28, 2018

I will get straight to the point… This product is absolutely horrendous! Last summer, I treated my cat with this product as the fleas in our area were at an all time high. Within an hour of treating my cat, he was throwing up and having a seizure. It was terrifying! I was almost certain that I had killed him. Like many of the reviewers, I also was advised by my vet to immediately wash him with Dawn dishwashing soap. I will never buy another Hartz product again. It only stands to reason, that if your company specializes in products for pets, that you would test the products thoroughly and immediately removed from the market any products that are harmful; anything less than this is inhumane! Please speak to your vet about a suitable product for your cat and stay away from this over-the-counter nightmare.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My cousin sent her husband to go get flea meds. He bought Hartz flea drops instead of the usual flea medicine. My cousin applied it as directed to both cats. One is fine. That's the older cat. But her 5 or 6 month old kitten maybe a little older developed a scabby rash. Greenish kinda scabs but she itches it a lot. It was chemical burn from the meds. I am very upset about it. It did not really help the fleas at all. Of a scale of 1-100 it's a ZERO. I will never buy Hartz again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Not everyone can afford the prices at vet offices. I have a rescue dog and cat. We use Hartz (Pro Guard Flea and Tick Treatment) on both. We have never had a problem, and find the product to work quite well, and we live in Florida, so we have a flea problem almost year round. I would recommend this product to anyone. Although, we may have limited means, we love our furry friends, and want to give them the best. Hartz provides that. So, thank you, Hartz, for caring about all animals.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I decided to adopt a dog from Puerto Rico and before being able to take him to New York needed him to pass a vet exam and make sure he was rid of any flea and tick. We applied this and a few days later while at the vet he had a focal facial seizure. The vet then informed me it could be distemper which I knew wasn't the case because he was around other dogs who didn't have it. They told me because of the distemper we might have to put him down. They gave him meds for a bacterial infection and a few days later he was fine and I could take him home. Because of this product, I almost put my dog down. I didn't make the correlation until I spoke to the vet that had informed me that this isn't a one-off case and it happens with this product. I will never use this on my dog again! This shouldn't be legal to sell... I have a video of the seizure in case anyone wants to see a heartbreaking video.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I put the cheap $5 "Dual Action" Flea & Tick drops on my 45 pound Border Collie and I'm pretty sure it made her sick. She's a tough cookie and she was throwing up in my bedroom not too long ago which is really unlike her. She has gotten away eating chicken bones many times. But this stuff seems bad. She's also panting and seems to be overheated. I just gave it to her earlier today and after reading these reviews I don't think I will be risking it. She is foaming a little at the mouth...

And just as I was writing this review she started throwing up again! It's really unlike her. I tried to just wash it off with a towel, water, and Dawn at first but now she has had a full on Dawn bath, and I washed her maybe 3 times! She really doesn't like baths so for her to stay in the bath and actually tolerate it for the last 20 minutes is just weird too. I've been reading these reviews and now I'm starting to freak out a little. I will now have to wait and see what happens.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We used Hartz Ultra Guard Pro Triple Action flea and tick drop for dogs and puppies on our 9.6 lbs Shih Tzu. About three hours after applying the drops our dog was unable to walk, had a constant head tremor, wouldn’t eat or drink, and wasn’t using the bathroom. The next morning he wasn’t any better so we bathed him with Dawn dishwashing soap. A few minutes after the bath he was walking around and perky again. This Hartz product is dangerous. I don’t recommend using it. Small pets may be more vulnerable to adverse reactions from this product.

Original review: June 16, 2018

On Memorial Day we took our dog a bath with Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo. 3 hrs later our dog started to shake, throw up and could not walk, would not eat or drink. We took her to the vet and we were told she had been poisoned. Of course we were in such distress we did not recall the bath. However, vet bill was crazy but she made it thru. However, still left us wondering what did it. She is a inside dog so we were very confused. Today I see my cousin post of her dog after bath with Hartz and sounded the same so I agree this should no longer be sold.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Last night I applied Hartz Ultraguard to my 15lb 3yo cat. Within 6 hours he stopped eating, wouldn't drink water and wouldn't play with his toys (my cat is very playful and always wants to eat). He wouldn't let me pet him or hold him. He didn't have any interest in anything and he just hid behind the couch. I did a lot of research and read to give him a bath with Dawn dish soap, within 10 minutes he was eating and playing again. DO NOT use this product on your cat. Many cats have died. Yes it's a cheap product but I'd rather spend more money and have a cat that is alive.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I bought Hartz Flea and Tick Spray for dogs - supposedly kills fleas and tick for up to 7 days. Took the family on an outing and made sure to spray the dog really well. She still got ticks and they did not die. I had to remove ticks burrowing into her! DO NOT BUY THIS SPRAY!

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information