3.30/5

348 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

I used the Hartz Ultraguard flea & tick prevention for cats on our shop cats last week on Thursday, and almost immediately they both started acting strange like they were "running" from the feeling of the drop on their backs and I worried it was burning them, but I decided to let the product dry and see how they were doing in the morning. They still seemed uncomfortable on Friday, but I didn't think to wash the drops off at that point. It is now Monday and my boys are BALD where I applied the drops. Bald! Clumps of their hair are still falling out every time they scratch or when I wipe them down. I've spent the majority of this morning trying to help them. Hartz info line recommended I wash it off with Dawn dish soap and apply vitamin E oil, but they deny any fault in their product, saying the hair loss is a "normal" reaction. Frankly, this product is not safe for your pets and I regret using it in the first place.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Do not use this product as it can cause imminent death to your cat or dog. This product is a poison, it is clearly on the package. It states what is product is toxic to your animal!! Only wish I had read the reviews, and the packaging clearly prior to putting it on my cat and dog. This company should be put out of business. I am asking everyone to come together and start a petition for a class action suit. This company is harming our pets who are family members. No different than Johnson & Johnson did by not warning women the chance of cancer but I believe that this company will be protected because they clearly states on the package that this product is poisonous and toxic to our animals and also humans.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Wish I had read the reviews before subjecting my cat to this horrible product. I washed it off after 20 minutes and caught him scratching profusely. There was a red irritated spot where I applied the product. He is out of it; a very scary outcome for a product that is supposed to help keep them safe from ticks. I will return the two vials of product and also return the ear mite product I did not use and WILL NEVER use Hartz again! I will tell everyone I know who has a pet of the dangers and never recommend anyone associate Hartz with “pet care." I am one hour into this and hope the outcome goes well for my cat.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My dog has been sick since Thursday night, a couple days prior to this we bought & applied Hartz flea medicine on him. As we have sat here Googling every possible thing we could to find out what was wrong with him with none of it making any sense, as I have literally stayed up all night last night with him watching him throw up violently & repeatedly all night, more than positive knowing he was dying on me a couple times & all I could do was cry & pray that he didn't. This morning we looked up the reviews on this flea medicine we put on him before he got sick, it is mind blowing the things I have read. He is a little better than the rest of the night has gone but not good at all, still a long way to go. He is very sick & I am more than positive it's from Hartz flea medicine we put on him.

Look it up, read the reviews, don't ever use this ** on your pets. It has literally killed pets already with hundreds more being violently ill from it. I cannot believe they are still selling this **. Karma is a ** & they know this is happening, they have been called about it & said there are not enough reported deaths to take it off the shelves. I find it insanely hard to believe that not one of these people who work there don't have pets of their own, yet they go to bed every night selling this ** & causing insane turmoil to so many families. I literally can't believe this. If any of you have this do not use it. If you have used this on your pets wash it off immediately please.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Only have 1 star cause have to pick. But I do not even give it 1 star. Two hours after using this product. My dog started throwing up. She won't eat. Been 5 days now. She still hasn't ate. Tried everything. If my dog dies I promise the company will hear from an attorney. Especially with all these bad reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: May 31, 2019

Do NOT use this product I used the Hartz ultraguard pro and instantly my cat started acting a little weird, didn’t want to eat, didn’t want to go outside and just wanted to sleep... He always plays with his laser and didn’t even want to look at it. I felt like something was wrong and then I looked down and he had vomited after 4-6 hours the poison was on him. I immediately took him in my bath and washed him very well with Dawn. The next morning he still was looking pretty weak, didn’t want to eat or even move so I took him to the vet and he was running a super high fever. Thankfully they took him and hospitalized him to get fluids and check his blood work. Blood work came back really good and the fluids will knock down his fever and get this poison out of his body. NEVER USE HARTZ. IT'S POISON!!!

Original review: May 28, 2019

This product does not work and made my dog and cat sick. Total waste of money. Very upsetting. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! My cat got irritable and stopped using her litter box. My dog started throwing up and to top it off it did not even work on the fleas but made my fur babies very sick!

Original review: May 20, 2019

24 hours after putting the flea/tick med on my dog he was lethargic, throwing up, diarrhea and overall sick. He looked like he was there but in his eyes he wasn’t there. I immediately washed the medication off of him and my other dog even though she had no symptoms. I didn’t sleep at all because I wanted to be up with him because he couldn’t sleep at all! I was terrified he was going to just fall out! Thank goodness after a couple of cool baths, and lots of fluids he seems to be coming around. NEVER AGAIN! This product should be banned!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Upon application, my poor cat immediately began blinking and drooling... stumbling and shaking. Eventually he ran off but stopping periodically with convulsions. I feel so relieved he even survived this product after reading the other reviews. This product is far more terrifying than any fleas could ever be- DO NOT BUY OR PUT THIS PRODUCT ON YOUR PET AT ANY COST! It is truly dangerous and should be removed from the market immediately!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I used this product on my amazing CopperPot, only 5 yrs old and other than the ear mites, a very healthy cat. And although he didn’t have an immediate reaction, 2 days later he became lethargic and very irritable, he wouldn’t drink, eat or use the litter box. I gave him water and fed him blended eggs and salmon with a dropper, knowing if he didn’t eat or drink he would die for sure, and he finally went to his litter, I followed him. It was then I noticed blood in his urine. Scared and confused, I took him to the vet. His kidneys has shut down and he was in renal failure and treatment would be upwards of 600.00. The vet refused to let me make payments on his treatment, even as I begged her, she refused. What she did say she would do is take my cat, and treat him, but only if I surrendered him to her.

When I asked could I adopt him back she said no, I wouldn’t be able to afford his treatments, so they would adopt him out to a family who could. I know she saw his ear, infested with mites, so I can only imagine what she thought of me. The ear drops didn’t do anything except almost kill my cat and cause one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make. Take him home and watch him die, or surrender him. I love my cat. I really didn’t have a choice. I signed my baby away so he could stay alive. It was an all around crapfest, as Before I left, I asked could I come one more time and visit him and she said, "No, he’s not your cat anymore." Just like that. I don’t even know if he’s alive. I feel such remorse and guilt, especially after reading all of these reviews!

I’m so sorry for all of the people whose fur baby was harmed by this product. We believed that we were doing the right thing for our pets, Hartz has been around forever. It should be a trusted and safe product, but obviously it’s not. I spent the last few days thinking about what could have caused his illness and

I didn’t even make a connection until just today. When I decided to look up the ingredients, and ended up here. This company should be ashamed of all the needless pain and sorrow they’ve caused!. I’m thinking it may be time to hold them accountable.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have used this, 1/2 of a dose on my sweet 5 years old Mollie cat tonight, within 5 minutes she was running around twitching her legs, crying out, hiding, drooling, panting, my kids & I were scared to death! I called my friend because I had used this one time before 1/2 dose, she said to wash her immediately with Dawn soap. She was about to have a seizure, I frantically got her started washing & washing... 3 hours later she is calm. Has eaten a treat. Praise the Lord! I was so scared she was in bad shape! Don’t use this product!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought this product for my cats and one of my cats had a severe reaction to it. It burned her skin. And the other the collar did absolutely nothing. It does not kill fleas. I don't know why they can sell this product. It's absolute trash. I'll never buy anything from Hartz again.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Should have consulted my vet first, but I grabbed a box of this Ultra Guard Pro along with some groceries, thinking I would save myself a second trip to a pet supply store. I read the directions carefully and even the pictures showed how the topical solution should be applied. IMMEDIATELY, my cat started twisting, trying to lick it off. I quickly applied a dry towel to the area wiping off all that I could. Well thank God I did! The next morning my poor cat had a bald spot with dried blood on it. I medicated the sore for a few days & although my cat doesn’t appear to be in any pain or discomfort, his bald spot is getting longer & no hair is growing back, in the affected area. So furious & irate, now I find all these complaints, on this site. I called the store manager at the Walmart I purchased the box from, and complained. I found my receipt & returned what was left. Just like the others, I’m shocked this product is still in the market!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I just used the drops on my 2 cats and within 15 minutes they were wailing with pain and terrified. I couldn’t get them in the shower but I was able to wash off most of the medicine. Now I’m sitting here watching them try to calm down and get some sleep and not knowing what can happen in the next hours. I now have to lose a day from work to take them to the vet. Why this company is still in business is beyond me.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My cat Kip is a 6 yr old longhaired female. Not her first time using product. She was badly burned between shoulder blades...huge bald spot. Her fur is falling out...big bald streaks above both all the way back to ears. I'm not a happy mommy! Someone needs to be held responsible for our pain and suffering. My cat is traumatized as I am.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I applied the first tube of flea drops to my 2 year old healthy cat and I found him dead 40 minutes later. I never even saw him exhibit any signs that he was ill from the drops and he was acting normally prior to applying it. My vet told me he's seen other pets die but when he contacted the company they had told him there weren't enough reported deaths to warrant pulling their product. I went home and threw every Hartz product in my home into the trash! Pets are like family to my children and me. Losing our Sabo so suddenly like that dealt a blow!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Please do not use this product. I don't even know why they sell it. It's very harmful. As soon as I apply a tube on one of my cats all three of my cats they all immediately started acting like they were trying to get the stuff off of them so soon as I seen that I went to go wash it off and they're better now but I will never use this product again and I suggest no one else uses this product.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I'm sitting here right now watching my dog die because of this HARTZ product! He is only 6 years old! He is my daughter's service dog and she is a mess over this! He is drooling and has diarrhea and is very lethargic. He hasn't eaten in 2 days and he looks like he might be even going into convulsions every now and then. The vet had already told me he'd heard of this happening with Hartz products and have been telling all his patients not to use them! I was told it's too late for my dog so I'm waiting for the office to open so I can bring them in and relieve his pain. But because of the pain this company has given me and my family I will have no forgiveness for them! THIS IS SO HEARTBREAKING FOR A HANDICAP CHILD TO LOST HER SERVICE DOG IN SUCH A WAY SO SOON!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My cat started drooling profusely, meowing and acting very sick. I washed it off as best I could. She is some better now, but will not let me hold her. I think it almost killed her. I will never use this product again. She still is not acting like herself. I applied it as directed. Do not put this on your pet. She seems disoriented.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have used this before without any problems. This time she is extremely uncomfortable. I have given her 2 baths and she is still not happy. I will never use this product again. Save your money and your dogs.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

2 days after application I came home to find my 8-month-old large, healthy kitten in bathroom violently scratching wound on head. The flea guard I put on Bear to help him caused him to scratch away his own skin. I would never recommend anyone use this on a pet they love. I couldn't afford emergency vet fees. I tried to wash sore with sterile water but he kept running from me. Has been eating and drinking. Not scratching constantly now. Seems some better except for bloody raw sore on back of head and neck.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I just put this flea treatment on my cat, and about 10 minutes later he started shaking really bad and drooling profusely. Then he peed on the floor which he has never ever done before so I grabbed him and put him in the bath, when I was washing the treatment off I noticed he was bleeding and it gave him a chemical burn! Please do not use!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I applied the product to my Maltese & to my Bichon Frise, today. Nine hours later, not one flea has died. Weeks ago, I tried Hartz flea shampoo. It didn't kill one flea, either. I'll never trust this brand again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

DO NOT USE!!! Applied Hartz flea med to my cat between her shoulders, the next day she was lethargic and hiding. She stopped eating and I noticed fur was gone where the Hartz had been applied. Took her to the vet - luckily she is not poisoned. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I will not mince words. THIS ** STUFF SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE MARKET AND A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED. I applied this product to my 3 cats and within an hour one began running around the house screaming until it collapsed in a series of epileptic seizures. The poor little thing urinated and voided its bowels during one of these fits. The second cat had exactly the same signs and symptoms to a lesser extent but now appears to be STONED and unable to walk without falling over. My third cat... thankfully... showed only minor effects, mostly lethargy and lack of appetite. My sons began crying and looking for me to aid. They do ANYTHING to stop the pain of their "friends". Unfortunately I do not have the $1,200 to $1,800 I was quoted to have all three cats stay at the Vet to receive treatment. Hopefully time will be enough to heal my cats from this ** POISON.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

So I learned, the cheap is the most expensive, and the guilt I feel because of trying to save some cash I almost killed my pet doesn’t have any price. If you care about your pet never ever put anything of this brand even close to your house, is pure poison. My dog survived by a miracle I think, after a kind of hell she is recovering and just in case she has got an appointment with her veterinarian. I feel so bad. How is possible this thing is in the market? So if you want to prevent your dog from fleas and save you can kill him? No way again. Check this product in Internet, you will find scary stories left and right, so NEVER USE THIS THING IN YOUR PETS.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

After applying to my cat, and not even the whole tube, she started panting and running around the room like she was trying to get away from something. She was breathing very fast. I decided then and there not to use the rest of the tube and set it on my bedside table. The next day, there is a mark on the table where this product ate through the finish on the table. Never again. Thankfully my cat seems to be ok now. Will not use or recommend this product or brand to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This product made my roommate's cat convulse which we thought was just an allergic reaction because my cat seemed fine after application, but now it's 3 days later and my cat has a chemical burn where it was applied and she's in pain, and I now have to take my cat to the vet for treatment. I DO NOT recommend this product!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I used one tube this product on my average, 2-year-old healthy cat a couple weeks ago. He became lethargic shortly after and stopped eating. Now he is at the vet, severely dehydrated and underweight from chemical poisoning. Hartz customer service has not responded. A $10 tube has brought $400 in medical bills, and they have told me he might not make it. If they kill my cat, I'm going to sue. !!!BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Our cat, Tiger, developed a flea problem during the summer. We bought Hartz UltraGuard Topical Flea and Tick Prevention. It didn't seem to work to speak of, and we noticed that Tiger began to act strangely. He stopped eating, and began to either just lay about or be very restless. He gradually got better, but I would not recommend this product. I have since read that the active ingredient makes cats sick, and in several cases has resulted in death.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information