Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops
1.00/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

283 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: June 14, 2017

I had purchased Hartz Ultraguard Pro for my grandmother's cats. Immediately after application one cat, Ginger started blinking his eyes and you could see the tears running out of his eyes. So obviously it burns. The littler and younger cat, Kitten started salivating terribly. Both of them are miserable. I read on here to wash with Dawn and push fluids. Ginger is not eating a few treats and drinking water. Kitten, however isn't moving much. Every time you get close she growls. However, on both of them when washing their necks with a cool rag with Dawn they seemed to love it. They didn't fight back which is unusual.

So I'm hoping and praying to the Good Lord that he lets them live a long healthy life. Please, I'm begging you DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR PETS PLEASE. I know its cheap but getting the good stuff really is worth it. I understand that now after what I just seen. It breaks my heart. Thank you for the advice with the Dawn. I hope I got them in time.

Original review: June 4, 2017

My daughter in law purchased this product at a local Walmart. She put it on her cat's neck as described. A few days later the hair where she put the drops fell out. Then the cat began acting abnormally. She finally had to take him to a vet. The vet said the cat had been poisoned by this product. Two days later she brought him back to the vet and was told the cat will not survive and had to put him down. How can this product still be sold with all the complaints being brought forward? I will be going to this Walmart to give them a piece of my mind.

Original review: May 27, 2017

If I could give zero stars I would. I am beyond mad with Hartz. I have used this product before so I thought nothing of it. My dog had fleas so I ran out and picked up some Hartz flea and tick topical drops for puppies. The day I applied the drops she turned red. Again I didn't think much of it until the next morning when my baby was covered in nasty red bumps from nose to tail. I decided to call their customer care line to see what they would say. The lady I spoke with told me it was NOT their product that did it, that my dog already had the issues before I put their drops on her. I know for sure there was nothing wrong with my dog before the drops were applied. Needless to say if you are new or even older pet parent I would stay as far away from these products.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Bought Hartz Flea medicine for cats (which the internet said was safe for my house rabbit). After putting it on her back 2 days later she stopped eating, drinking and when she went to use her litter box there was blood in her urine. To say the least I rushed her to the vet and found out that it was the Hartz Flea Drops that poisoned her. The vet told me not to use it anymore not even on my dogs. So now we are using Advantage. Cost more but cost less than a vet bill. I don't understand how they can still sell the stuff if it does your animals so bad. Should be taken off the shelves.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Wish I would have read these reviews before buying... I have a large black cat and a smaller orange tabby female.... Luckily I actually spilled some before putting on my female but she still ended up with a small burn between her shoulder blades - my black male had no issues... After reading all of the comments WHY is this still being sold. NEVER again... Only reason I used it was because I moved to a new place and they have been scratching - and I found a tick in the apartment...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: May 16, 2017

I purchased and bathed my dog with your Hartz UltraGuard Pro. After her bath her eyes had a green discharge and when I looked at her eyes they looked glazed over. I rushed her to the veterinarian and he said it was the shampoo. My dog is a 23 pound shih tzu. He prescribed eyedrops and pain medication. Her eyes looked glazed over and it seems to have a problem seeing. It is hard to give her drops because she is in pain. I am very concerned she is going to lose her sight.

All of her problems are a result of using the Hartz shampoo. My heart is broken. It is hard to hear her cry and cannot even open her right eye. Maggie got worse and the infection is now in both eyes. I had to rush her to the emergency hospital. They did blood test and looked at her eyes. They thought I might have to take her to an ophthalmologist but they have not determined if that is going to be necessary. Maggie had to stay 3 nights and during her testing they discovered she had DKA which was brought on by the stress of her eye problems. She has never tested positive for diabetes and as it was explained to me the stress brought on the DKA. She is back in the ER today to get her eyes checked and to do a curve test on the diabetes. My dog is suffering so much. She is having a problem adapting to the food and the eye treatments make her sick to her stomach.

So far I have spent approximately 5,000.00 on her treatment. The doctors are documenting everything and I will fax this as soon as the treatment is complete. This has broken my heart. By using Hartz shampoo my dog is suffering tremendously. I am at the point of a nervous breakdown doctoring my dog and begging her to eat. I got my dog for companionship after my husband died. I am on a fixed income and this is causing me so many problems financially. Emotionally I am so depressed and so upset with what she has to go through each day. Insulin shots, eyedrops and special feedings. I was surprised when I had two different vets and one national pet store tell me they always have problems with Hartz products. One telling me they do not understand why Hartz is still in business.

Original review: April 30, 2017

April 22nd I picked up my 6 1/2 week bichon puppy. On April 28th at 9:30 we watched him take his last breath. 1 day after picking him up, we noticed fleas on him. After giving him a bath in Dawn detergent, we decided to go to Walmart and get a flea collar. 2 days later he was very lethargic, vomiting, staring off in space, not eating & scratching. We immediately took him to 24 hour emergency. When we walked through the door and told the nurse his symptoms, she instantly instructed me to remove the collar. She take courage in the back to get vitals. After giving him anti nausea med and fluids, 4 1/2 hours and $160 later we were sent home. Two days later back to emergency room with worsen symptoms. It was recommended to have him hospitalized ($784.00 for one night) because the toxins from the flea collar had started to shut down his organs.

There was no way he would survive this. His temp had drop dangerous low and blood sugar was so low the meter couldn't read it. Being a single mom of 2 there's no way I could afford to have him hospitalized. After anti nausea med, dextrose injection & 30 minutes of IV fluids (another $120). We were sent home with a critical ill puppy with the IV port left in his arm in case we needed to return and just in case he made it through the night for his vet visit the next day. We were told to set the alarm and basically keep a constantly eye on him. I literally stayed up all night placing syrup on his gum every 2-3 hours to try and keep his glucose up. At 4am I watched him have a violent seizures. From 4am, I watched him have 2 seizures, vomiting, whining in pain, until he took his last breath at 9:30.

My 20 year old watch this and is having the most difficult time getting that vision out of his head. I physically had to prevent my 12 year old from going into the room where this horrible thing was happening. Courage my 1.5 bichon had to suffer and die because of their toxin product that is still being sold. It's like they're getting paid to killed these poor animals without any consequences. My boys waited a very long time to be rewarded with a puppy. We are completely devastated. How could this be allowed to happen. So many families are being affected emotionally and financially. It's not fair.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I have used this Ultra Guard Flea and Tick for cats in the past. I figured this time it would be okay. I was wrong!! Applied to my 3 cats and within 48 hours my 10-year-old Siamese had to be put to sleep due to suffering caused an from their product! I received a letter today stating that it wasn't the cat formula that would cause this but a topical dog preventive. They have all my packaging including from my dogs!! There is no way my cat got in contact with the dog formula! All I asked for was them to cover my vet bill and they are denying my claim by saying it was from another product for dogs. I would like all of us who have experienced this to please somehow band together and let's not allow them to get away with this!! PLEASE LET'S ALL FILE SOMETHING AGAINST THEM!! TOO MANY OF US HAVE LOST OUR BELOVED PETS DUE TO THEIR PRODUCT!!

Original review: April 18, 2017

This bothered my cat to the point where she was running around, terrified. Also it got in our eyes because of her being around and my eyes started to have a burning feeling. My cat still doesn't seem normal after a few hours of putting on the product. DON'T USE.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I put this product ULTRA GUARD PRO on both my 2 yr old cats 3 days ago and right away they started running around and scratching their hair at the back of the skull/bottom of neck where I put the drops as told by directions. The smell was so bad from drops I had to open my windows. Now my one cat has been throwing up since yesterday, laying around not eating or drinking. I'm trying to keep fluids in her so she doesn't die! I bought this product from Wal-Mart and I still have my receipt and if my cat dies or I have to take her to the vet I will be sue Hartz! Take Off Shelf!! Is this from China!!!

Updated on 04/11/2017: My cat Freya, is right now at Park Circle Vet Clinic in Hagerstown MD. Her Neurological System failing because I put your product Tropical Flea and Tick Prevention Drops on her! She most likely won't make it! I rescued her at 4 wks lying beside the road with her sister, Sissy. They are both 2 yrs old now. Perfect health until now. My little girl had to see our family cat convulsing today foaming green from the mouth. You probably don't even care. It's all about money. Our familiars are family.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Ok are the fleas here in Texas different than any other state 'cause these ultraguard flea & tick shampoo and spray did not work at all. Was still having live fleas on my fur babies and still scratching. Big failure. Not good at all. A waste of a lot of money. Crap not cheap.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

DANGEROUS! POISON! Worst product in stores! Please do not put this on your animal! I have 5 cats; one of which is an indoor/outdoor cat. She has been on Revolution (a prescription flea med) for 5 months since she came to us as a stray, mainly because she had ear mites too. Our vet recommended keeping her on this if she would continue going outside.

I recently ordered her another 3 month supply through a mail order, but had been noticing she was itching a lot more than usual and had also found one or two fleas near her bedding area and decided to go to our local shopping center to get a quick substitute for her, as well as something for my other 4 indoor cats to prevent them from getting fleas from her while waiting for her prescription to come. When we first took her in, we used a cheaper version (around $6 per box) for our indoor kitties for the same preventative precautions.

So this time, I decided to compare the $6 box with the next amount up at $12 which was the Hartz Ultra Guard Pro. I figured if the ingredients were the same then I would just get the cheaper version. I did not want to pay $50 - $60 on the more expensive brands such as Advantage or Frontline when I had just spent that on the prescription Revolution if I didn't have to and since this dose was mainly for precaution only (prevention for my indoor cats and something to help hold my outdoor kitty until her regular meds arrived) then that would be fine.

Turns out, Hartz Ultraguard Pro did have another ingredient that the cheaper brand didn't have, so I assumed that must be what I was paying $6 more per box for. Don't you expect to get what you pay for? An extra additive must make this one work a bit better than the one that doesn't have it, right? Well, unfortunately I had to find out the hard way that this ingredient (**) which is 40% of the active ingredients is part of the ** family which is basically a pesticide... aka poison!

I put a dose on each of my cats that evening exactly as the box said: between the shoulder blades. There is just no way to prevent this stuff from getting in your animal's mouth! They are going to groom themselves and regardless of how well it's placed, they will inevitably lick it down the hair shafts or scratch and lick their paws until at least some gets ingested. Through the evening I noticed that 2 of my babies were foaming at the mouth. I assumed this was because they had ingested some and didn't think much of it until later into the evening my 3-year old, male orange tabby started vomiting and started kicking his back paws as if he had stepped in water.

When this continued to happen and didn't seem to just be an isolated event, I started to look online for the possible causes for these symptoms and found story after story of this same product causing similar symptoms in other pets (dogs included) and sometimes worse, even leading to death in many. This steming back as far as 2009.

** work to paralyze fleas and essentially when absorbed into the skin can do the same for your pet. It has been known to cause foaming of the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, skin burns/lesions, loss of limb function, seizures, renal failure, and ultimately death in some! WTF is this product still doing on the shelves? EPA and The Hartz Mountain Corporation know good and well these things have been happening to numerous animals for years and they still approve it for sale! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

I am now 24 hours past the time when I first applied this poison to my 5, sweet, loving pets and 2 out of 5 have had a bad reaction! One of them, although seemingly doing better this evening, is still not himself and I am very worried about how an application that is supposed to last in his system for one month will continue to react with him. From what I read online, you should wash the area of treatment with dawn dish detergent and rinse well with water to prevent as much as you can from absorbing into the skin. By the time I did this, it had already been on them for at least 8 hours and who knows how much they had ingested! I'm hoping what I have done has been enough to rectify the situation, but many haven't and won't be this lucky!

This item MUST be removed from stores! Like myself, most people assume an in store product will be milder and likely less effective than prescription products, but certainly would never assume they would be so dangerous and deadly! After all, shouldn't the EPA be looking out for the best interest of pets? Isn't that their job? SOMEONE HAS DROPPED THE BALL! How many pets must suffer and die before Hartz takes this off the shelf? Stop calling it a treatment for fleas and call it what it is... Animal pesticide... aka POISON! This has been a hard lesson learned at the expense of my 5 innocent animals! I will NEVER purchase another Hartz product EVER again and would suggest anyone reading this to do the same.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

This stuff is POISON and it killed my baby!! I bought this product 2 months ago for our beloved kitty Dip. He was 12 lbs and fine. He had FIV but was in good health and had no problems. Happy, fat, and enjoying a quality of life any pet parent could wish for their fur baby! Within a day he started losing fur around the application site. He then developed sores that were chemical burns. The sores and hair loss spread and he lost weight rapidly. We spent over $500 desperately trying to save him. Today the vet told us his anemia was worse and his organs were shutting down. He was 8 lbs. She said that his condition would continue to deteriorate and he would suffer. We made the heartbreaking decision to allow him to fall asleep in my arms one last time with him purring.

I hate this company for making a poison that killed our beautiful boy. You are criminals and you shouldn't be allowed to sell this garbage! He was FINE until he got those drops! I'm including pics of how he looked 2 days ago. This product poisoned him and caused a cascading systems failure in his immune system. You are a HORRIBLE company and I am sickened by how you can sell this to people who just love their pets and want to give them a good life! He had two homes, we co-parented with our friends next door because Dip loved them and decided he wanted to live there. But he was still our baby. He was ALL of OUR baby! You should know that your poison has left not one but TWO homes heartbroken tonight!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I have a cat and so my hubby and I bought the drops and the collar and it didn't do any good. We gave him a bath and followed the instructions and the next day bam fleas, looked worse than before...The product sucks. I would not buy that garbage again...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

So I recently got a kitten that had been outdoors previously. So I bathed her and put this collar on her and I noticed large irritation spots on her neck, and she kept scratching at them. I took it off and looked up side effects of this product. I wish I would have saved the box. Will never use again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

My cat, Ginger, got out of the house. When she came back, she has fleas. I bought Hartz flea drops for cats. Didn't effect the fleas at all. My daughter bought a Hartz Ultra Guard Plus for fleas on cats. Nothing. Fleas thrived. I bought another flea collar thinking maybe the first was old. My cat still has fleas. I complained to Hartz and was told about the flea cycle. Bah! I told them and I tell anyone thinking about buying Hartz, DON'T. Complete waste of money. Bath your cat with Dawn. Much better treatment.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I wish it was possible to give a product zero stars because this product is absolutely terrible. I usually get my 3 cats flea and tick treatment from the vet, but I ran out and panicked when I saw a flea on one of them. Anyway, I knew something wasn't right almost immediately because the smell was way too strong. Then I could tell my sweet babies were not okay. I really think it was burning them. Anyway I rushed to wash it off of them and they seem to be doing fine now. But never again! HEY ANIMAL LOVERS, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

I used Hartz tick and flea drop on my 4 year old cat. She immediately started acting strange. She began to pant heavily and her breathing was labored. She was agitated and hissing and then ran under our bed and wouldn't come out. I called my vet and she told me to wash the product off as much as possible with Dawn dish detergent. When she finally came out I washed as much off as possible but unfortunately I don't know how much seeped into the skin. Vet says to carefully watch her and if breathing gets worse get her to the emergency room. Praying that she is ok and hoping no long term neurological problems. I strongly urge you not to use this product.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I put this Hartz ultraguard plus cat collar on both by 6 month old kittens. My boy kitten seemed okay but my girl kitten was going crazy itching her self and biting her self all over. I checked for fleas thinking she was getting bit up but she did not have any fleas on her (Dawn dish soap kills fleas instantly). I got the collars to prevent reoccurrence in case there were any fleas in my house. I looked up the reviews and realized how terrible this product was so took them off both cats right away. It has only been one day but she seems a little better but not by too much as of yet.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Hartz Flea and Tic was applied on this cat which caused severe burns. NEVER use this horrible product. Its use should be banned. This cat was one of the lucky ones. He survived and without neurological damage.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I wish I would have read all of these reviews prior to buying this horrible, horrible product. I put this CRAP on my 9-year-old cat on Friday November 11th. My cat sleeps with me every single night; that night he did not. The following morning, I woke-up because I heard him making very odd breathing noises; he was having a seizure and a hard time breathing. I immediately bathed him to get these toxins off of his body but it had already gone through his skin.

Saturday morning at 2:30, I took my poor Punky to the emergency vet because he had not eaten, used the bathroom, was having body twitches, unable to walk and overall was very agitated and hissing (not like him at all). They then told me about the toxins that are in Hartz products and said he was having a reaction to it. They had to put my poor baby under anesthesia prior to even giving a full check-up because of his level of agitation and aggression. They did everything they could for him and here we are 5 days later and I am being faced with the reality of having to euthanize him because he is not doing any better. Hartz, you are a terrible company who should not be in business. I will post this review every place that I can think of.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I used Hartz Ultraguard flea and tick shampoo on my 2-year old European boxer. He is now broke out all over his body and can nearly keep his eye open. I recommend that you never use this. It is animal cruelty and this business should be shut down or stop making stuff like this!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

Please, do not use this product on your pet. I have just come from my vet's. Last evening Hartz UltraGuard plus spray was applied to our dog, as directed. This morning, upon awaking, I heard our dog vomiting. I ran to his room, and, found large amounts of vomit all over his floor. He was also, drooling badly. The vomiting ceased in about an hour, it was followed by more drooling and clear fluid, followed by more and more drooling and dry heaves. This drooling was only a precursor to seizures, which, surely would have occurred had I not gotten him to his vets. His vet has seen many cases such as this, from this product being reported to her, as being used on their animals.

Don't do as we did and freak out at a flea and go tearing down to the only store in town open, and buy the only thing available. Instead, wait until at least the next morning and purchase a product that has no life threatening reviews, like I wish we had done. Thankfully, our dog is on the mend and sleeping peacefully after being given 3 shots, and meds for a week.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I had no ideal that a product that has been around for many years such as this one is still in business. With all the laws out there for animal cruelty and abuse how can this corporation be in operation. We bought this product to treat fleas on our 16 year old male cat and after applying according to the directions on the package, we now have a cat without the use of his hind legs. We put baking soda to absorb the oily substance off his fur and skin and gave him a nice warm bath with dish soap to help remove the poison. Hopefully in the morning he will be much better. If not I want to know what steps can be taken to shut this business down? Very upset consumer in Richardson, TX.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

My dog recently got fleas and I decided to get the hartz shampoo, flea collar, and flea drops. A few hours after my dog started to lay around, not eat or drink. So the next day she stopped responding to her name and still was laying around. Barely walking or moving so I took her to vet. The vet said that this product was not great and to wash it all off with dawn soap. So I did washed. My dog started to drink some but was still not keeping nothing down and so today I checked on her while she was sleep with my son. And at 713 am I get a call that she was having a seizure and then stopped breathing. Hartz killed my shih tzu... my sasha, my baby!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I have 6 indoor cats, of which one goes in and out. On 2 Oct 2016 I put Hartz flea drops on all of them I had bought. Plus that same week I bought (4) Hartz UltraGuard Plus flea collars and (2) Hartz UltraGuard flea collars all that was on the shelf at Walmart. I am very disappointed after spending over $26.76 on the collars not to mention the flea drops. My cats still have some fleas on them. I don't have fleas in my home just the cats. As I said they don't go out except for 1 and I have been keeping him in after I applied drops and collars. This is very frustrating not to mention the money I have spent for the stuff not to do any good.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

These people are cruel animal killers!!! I purchased Hartz Ultra Guard for my daughter's 4 month old kitten. He is now bleeding from skin, and swaying back and forth. You people are sick just trying to make a dollar. We will open lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

REVIEW OF HARTZ MOUNTAIN FLEA & TICK SPRAY - I had a Persian cat which had fleas. I spray my cat and gave her one tablet of dog & cat quick tabs. She went to sleep in a closet without a door. I found her dead when I got up about three hours later.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I sprayed my 4 year old yorkie chihuahua and my 5 year old Jack Russell lightly with Hartz Ultra Guard. Approx 7 hours later my chihuahua broke out in rashes and was scratching intently. Approx 18-22 hours later both dogs vomiting. Today approx a day later my jack Russell had a seizure. Short but still could have killed him! These are indoor dogs that only go outside to poop and pee! Unbelievable and I know we are not only ones to watch this destroy our animals!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I used Hartz UltraGuard Flea and Tick ointment on my 5 year old cat. Everything seemed okay. No reactions until about 3 weeks later. I noticed a large white scab at the application site. It started to brush off, but mainly stayed on for another week or so. The scab disappeared and now my cat is losing his fur at the application site. There's a small bald patch and it looks like new fur is starting to grow. I will not be using the other 2 applications.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information

Hartz Mountain
www.hartz.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use