1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

331 Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 31, 2018

Gave Hartz flea medicine to my dog on a Friday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, my dog was at the vet. My vet did X-rays, blood work, ultrasound. They sent him to emergency vet who then gave him charcoal around the clock, an IV for 2 days and muscle relaxer for his facial twitching. Please do NOT use this product. It is a poisonous toxin that is NOT regulated. The company should be put out of business for harming our pets!!!

Original review: July 28, 2018

I will get straight to the point… This product is absolutely horrendous! Last summer, I treated my cat with this product as the fleas in our area were at an all time high. Within an hour of treating my cat, he was throwing up and having a seizure. It was terrifying! I was almost certain that I had killed him. Like many of the reviewers, I also was advised by my vet to immediately wash him with Dawn dishwashing soap. I will never buy another Hartz product again. It only stands to reason, that if your company specializes in products for pets, that you would test the products thoroughly and immediately removed from the market any products that are harmful; anything less than this is inhumane! Please speak to your vet about a suitable product for your cat and stay away from this over-the-counter nightmare.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 28, 2018

My cousin sent her husband to go get flea meds. He bought Hartz flea drops instead of the usual flea medicine. My cousin applied it as directed to both cats. One is fine. That's the older cat. But her 5 or 6 month old kitten maybe a little older developed a scabby rash. Greenish kinda scabs but she itches it a lot. It was chemical burn from the meds. I am very upset about it. It did not really help the fleas at all. Of a scale of 1-100 it's a ZERO. I will never buy Hartz again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Not everyone can afford the prices at vet offices. I have a rescue dog and cat. We use Hartz (Pro Guard Flea and Tick Treatment) on both. We have never had a problem, and find the product to work quite well, and we live in Florida, so we have a flea problem almost year round. I would recommend this product to anyone. Although, we may have limited means, we love our furry friends, and want to give them the best. Hartz provides that. So, thank you, Hartz, for caring about all animals.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I decided to adopt a dog from Puerto Rico and before being able to take him to New York needed him to pass a vet exam and make sure he was rid of any flea and tick. We applied this and a few days later while at the vet he had a focal facial seizure. The vet then informed me it could be distemper which I knew wasn't the case because he was around other dogs who didn't have it. They told me because of the distemper we might have to put him down. They gave him meds for a bacterial infection and a few days later he was fine and I could take him home. Because of this product, I almost put my dog down. I didn't make the correlation until I spoke to the vet that had informed me that this isn't a one-off case and it happens with this product. I will never use this on my dog again! This shouldn't be legal to sell... I have a video of the seizure in case anyone wants to see a heartbreaking video.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: July 2, 2018

I put the cheap $5 "Dual Action" Flea & Tick drops on my 45 pound Border Collie and I'm pretty sure it made her sick. She's a tough cookie and she was throwing up in my bedroom not too long ago which is really unlike her. She has gotten away eating chicken bones many times. But this stuff seems bad. She's also panting and seems to be overheated. I just gave it to her earlier today and after reading these reviews I don't think I will be risking it. She is foaming a little at the mouth...

And just as I was writing this review she started throwing up again! It's really unlike her. I tried to just wash it off with a towel, water, and Dawn at first but now she has had a full on Dawn bath, and I washed her maybe 3 times! She really doesn't like baths so for her to stay in the bath and actually tolerate it for the last 20 minutes is just weird too. I've been reading these reviews and now I'm starting to freak out a little. I will now have to wait and see what happens.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We used Hartz Ultra Guard Pro Triple Action flea and tick drop for dogs and puppies on our 9.6 lbs Shih Tzu. About three hours after applying the drops our dog was unable to walk, had a constant head tremor, wouldn’t eat or drink, and wasn’t using the bathroom. The next morning he wasn’t any better so we bathed him with Dawn dishwashing soap. A few minutes after the bath he was walking around and perky again. This Hartz product is dangerous. I don’t recommend using it. Small pets may be more vulnerable to adverse reactions from this product.

Original review: June 16, 2018

On Memorial Day we took our dog a bath with Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo. 3 hrs later our dog started to shake, throw up and could not walk, would not eat or drink. We took her to the vet and we were told she had been poisoned. Of course we were in such distress we did not recall the bath. However, vet bill was crazy but she made it thru. However, still left us wondering what did it. She is a inside dog so we were very confused. Today I see my cousin post of her dog after bath with Hartz and sounded the same so I agree this should no longer be sold.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Last night I applied Hartz Ultraguard to my 15lb 3yo cat. Within 6 hours he stopped eating, wouldn't drink water and wouldn't play with his toys (my cat is very playful and always wants to eat). He wouldn't let me pet him or hold him. He didn't have any interest in anything and he just hid behind the couch. I did a lot of research and read to give him a bath with Dawn dish soap, within 10 minutes he was eating and playing again. DO NOT use this product on your cat. Many cats have died. Yes it's a cheap product but I'd rather spend more money and have a cat that is alive.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I bought Hartz Flea and Tick Spray for dogs - supposedly kills fleas and tick for up to 7 days. Took the family on an outing and made sure to spray the dog really well. She still got ticks and they did not die. I had to remove ticks burrowing into her! DO NOT BUY THIS SPRAY!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have used this product for about a year on my dogs and it is effective in the treatment and prevention of fleas and mosquitos. There are a lot of hateful reviews on here, blaming the company for everything. To begin with, you guys ARE aware that this IS a poison. That's why it kills fleas. I wish I didn't have to use any at all because I don't care for toxic chemicals in general but considering the alternative, you do what you gotta do. Of course there are going to be side effects in a number of patients because it's a POISON. That is why there warning labels and precisely measured doses. They even err on the side of less, just to be safe. For the record, I don't work for the company or anything but people, get some perspective!! Personally I am grateful that I can purchase this over the counter for such a cheap price.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am so upset I didn’t read these reviews before treating my cat with this horrible chemical. My cat became sick and wouldn’t eat for 2 days, I had to go out of town and when I came back her fur was burnt off of the areas I treated. She has scabs and burns from the medicine. Even though it’s been 5 days since I used this crap, I am going to take her a full bath and get her into the vet ASAP. Such a tragedy this product is available to the public. I’m also worried about what I have been exposed to because I applied it with my bare hands. Disgusting this brand is still in business after these stories.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Do not use this Ultra flea and tick on any pets!!! My two precious cats I used it on one losing hair and my baby had such a terrible reaction. I washed it off with Dawn dish detergent and I still have cats. THIS STUFF IS NO GOOD FOR ANY ANIMAL. THEY NEED TO HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE COMPANY. Anyone who wishes to participate in this lawsuit please email **. Let’s take this company out of the market of killing our pets.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I used the Hartz flea shampoo on my lit. girl service dog and the next day she became paralyzed in back legs. She won't eat drink or anything. Took her to vet. They wanted more money than I had so we had to take my baby home to die because of a flea shampoo. Trying to explain this to my 6 yr little girl was so hard. All my little girl keeps doing is praying for her. Please people don't use this shampoo.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My 13 year old loves to go outside and became infested with fleas. I purchased Hartz cat flea drops for adult cats and applied between shoulder blades. For about a week my cat had decreased appetite. Unfortunately my street experienced a tornado that did a lot of damage and I did not wash it off my cat for several days. A week later and my cat is having labored breathing and will not eat or drink. The vet gave him shots and IV fluids but said it will have to wear off now and he may not make it. I am so upset that this could happen to my pet. Please do not buy this product. I never will again!

Original review: March 21, 2018

About 4 days ago I applied Hartz flea powder for cats and kittens to my 5 year old Cat Stephanie... She began losing weight rapidly and had a ton more fleas and she was an indoor cat... it was almost as if the powder attracted more fleas! She had labored breathing and stopped eating and drinking, she could not walk or move in her last 3 days on earth. She was healthy as a horse prior to powder being applied and then boom last night March 20, 2018 she passed on to the rainbow bridge! For the sake of your pets do not buy this horrid product I have been in shock and disbelief. I feel horribly guilty as I put the powder on her. Please don’t buy this product!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I bought Hartz flea drops & used it on 2 of my cats. Within a week they both started to lose their fur. Then within 2 weeks my one cat started to lose weight. Yesterday when I woke up - my dear sweet girl had died. This product NEEDS to be taken off of the market. It kills cats. I wonder how many other cats have died from it being put on them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My cat just had the worst reaction to the flea treatment!! I wish I read these reviews before using this poison! As soon as I applied it he ran so fast completely out of control. I panicked, grabbed a wet cloth and immediately wiped off what I could and while I was cleaning him with water (which cats don’t like) he started purring...thank goodness! I just made him an appointment with the vet and all I can say is he better be ok! To all my other furry friend parents do not use this product. When I called the vet they told me to come in today and that they have seen Hartz kill animals.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I bought the Sergeant's liquid flea medicine for my cat back in November & never noticed a problem. However when I applied it to my cat, between his shoulder blades, he ran after just getting a couple drops on him. I got him & applied the rest but had to really hold him down. I thought it was because he smelled it before I put it on him. He ran away from me again & once he calmed down just a little I noticed he wouldn't sit still no more than a few seconds. I thought it was because he could still smell the medicine. I was told by a Facebook cat group not to use the cheap store brand stuff because it has killed cats. I got a washcloth & put my Dove body wash on it & washed off what I could of it, he laid there like it felt so good me washing it off.

Now tonight, a day later I felt a dime sized knot on his skin right where I applied these drops. He seems to be acting ok so far but has neuter surgery tomorrow. I hope this medicine doesn't affect the anesthesia the vet will use. I'll talk to the vet about what happened. They need to take this cheap, deadly flea treatment off the market! They better hope nothing else happens to my cat! I see where Hartz has the same deadly stuff they keep selling.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I treated my dog Roxi with Hartz Ultra Guard Dual Action. After treatment she did begin acting differently. After a couple of days from the time of the treatment, I noticed breathing problems, not eating or going poop, lumps swelling more each day and lumps multiplied. She is on her second day of antibiotics and pain meds. And a good bath to get that crap off her. I will report back in a couple of days to let you know how my poor baby is doing. Added pictures of non irritated portion of skin vs red irritation and lumps and the product.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Tonight I will be putting my male cat to sleep. 2 1/2 months ago I used this product on my cats. We have 3 girls and a boy cat. My boy cat changed his personality and eating habits. After about a month he stopped eating most of his fav treats. He started losing weight. Now he won't even eat. He can barely walk or meow. He is a Himalayan so he is very furry. He doesn't like to be held so when I had to pick him up to carry him up to bed because he couldn't climb the steps. I burst out crying. He is so bony. He does this little sound that makes me think he is in pain. I so despise Hartz. How can they sell something knowing they cause so many animals pain? Merry Christmas Hartz! Thanks for harming my cat???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I used this product on my dogs. One of my dogs started having major problems. Her back legs became very stiff and she became very weak and was unable to go up or down the stairs. After $500.00 dollars of veterinary charges we found out using Hartz products was not recommended. We were told to wash our dogs with Dawn to absorb the oily Hartz Dual Action and then wash with their normal shampoo. I threw out all my Hartz products and my dog is back to playing with my other dog and is able to go up and down the stairs. These products are harming our pets.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

How they are still in business is beyond me. A few years ago, I lost my healthy 16 year old cat due to renal failure. It all went downhill for her after I tried this product. A friend brought fleas in my home, she got them bad, I tried this and shortly after, all the problems occurred. Don't use this product.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

DO NOT USE Ultra Guard Pro for cats. Instantly, my cat began running and hissing, making a distressed sound, and panting uncontrollably. I called Hartz. They agreed she was having a negative reaction. Suggested we wait until she calms down then to give her a bath or wash the area. I thought she was going to die. I did wash the area as soon as she calmed down which was a few hours. She seems better this morning. PLEASE DO NOT USE ON YOUR PETS!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I bought three collars for dogs and two for cats. They worked for the first three days and now the fleas are right under the collars. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE PRODUCTS. It seems this is just like everything you buy these days. Everything is as con and a joke.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Hartz flea drops doesn't work. Cats still had fleas and bald. Didn't do nothing for the fleas and also making all 3 of my cats go bald. Y'all shouldn't sell crap and steal folks' money when they trying to take care of our fur babies. All the products should be pulled off the shelfs!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I used Hartz UltraGuard Rid flea and tick shampoo on my puppy and two days later her back legs were stiff and could not walk and would not eat or drink. I didn't understand what happened to her so I called a vet and after $200 of x-rays and test the vet did not know what was wrong with her. Put her on anti-inflammatories and pain meds and now it is a week later and she is no better. I have an a appointment for a second opinion at another vet but after I came across reading some of these other reviews my puppy's symptoms are exactly the same as another consumer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I recently applied the Hartz flea treatment to my 5-month old cat. Not even a week later my cat starting vomiting, two days after got lethargic and in tremendous pain and died. He died in my arms a painful death. Had a moment of convulsions. I will never recommend this product to anyone! My heart is broken Hartz! I wish I would have done my research.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Let me tell you about Hartz Ultraguard! We put it on our baby girl to help with fleas but take my advice. Do not use anything by them. My husband put it down her back and the next morning she was so sick!!! She had it coming out both ends!! I came home and she started throwing up and with diarrhea and I got to thinking about it and throw her in the bathtub and started scrubbing her trying to get it off of her. She was miserable poor thing. She wouldn't play, eat, drink, nothing. Later on I got to researching and they have lawsuits against them!!! And take it from me it did not work. She had more fleas after using it than before!!! Thank God our baby is ok. It could have been worser!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Because of this product my cat was vomiting for weeks stopped eating and had to stay in the vet's hospital for 2 days. It cost us $500 to save my fur baby and he's still not the same a week after coming home from the vet. If I could afford a lawyer I'd be suing this company for every penny they have. You’re a horrible company and I feel sorry for your unsuspecting customers who don't know what they're getting themselves into. My cat could've died due to liver damage thanks to your product.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information