Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartz Mountain?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I put this medication on my 3 cats. Immediately, the started foaming out of the mouth and seizuring. I rushed them to the vet. $600 to wash them down, stabilize them and pump them full of medicine. 2 of the cats are still having neurological symptoms, shaking their hind legs uncontrollably. Horrible. Please please take it off shelves. You should be so ashamed!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2020

Purchased this flea & tick for both of my Jack Russel's and the cat version for my boy cat. Immediately, my cat ran all around the house, all over the furniture, twitched all over, was uncomfortable being touched, hid all night behind things, stopped eating and drinking. It took three days for him to finally feel better. My Jack Russell began violently shaking, her heart was racing, she could not lay down, ran into everything, appeared to not recognize her surroundings, growled, and stopped eating and drinking.

Day three, she still has these attacks, however, it has finally slowed down to two times a day. The only way I could reduce their reactions was (for my cat) to give an activated charcoal capsule and rescue remedy anxiety drops (about a fifth of dropper) as well as wash area drops were places with soap, water and rinse using a wet cloth. For my JRT, same as the cat except I also gave her a mix of herbs (dandelion for her kidneys, burdock for her blood and milk thistle for her liver), which I repeat after each episode. This is the only way I was able to see any improvement. **With the exception of the first dose of charcoal, I give a daily capsule separate from other supplements as charcoal will absorb too much of the herbs. This product is pure evil. This can kill your pet and should have been off the market years ago. My JRT's symptoms lasted longer than my cat's, so I added ** a few times a day.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I placed the Hartz drops on my border collie. He became violently Ill... Drooling..unsteady on his feet.. Loss of appetite..nausea...lethargy...itching...blistering skin that bled...excessive nervous..panting and accelerated heart rate.. Fortunately he survived. This product is dangerous and needs to be removed from the markets.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I bought this product labeled for dogs weighing 31-60 pounds. There is A lot of product in the tube. I did not want my dogs exposed to that much poison. Rather than using one full tube for each of my dogs. I modified the dose from one dose per tube to 4.5 doses per tube. It is just as deadly to fleas and ticks and is safe for my dogs.

The product needs to be in contact with the skin to do its job. My dogs' coats are only 1/4" to 1-inch long. A dog with a thick/dense double coat (under and outer coat) such as 50-60 pound Husky, Akita or German Shepard has super thick and very dense coats. They would need more of the product as their coats might prevent much of the product from reaching the skin. The natural coat of 40-60 pound Standard Poodle is intended to keep sticks and debris away from the skin when on hunts. Dogs of this size with these kinds of coats shouldn't have more than 1/4 of the recommended dose applied to their bodies. Very short-haired dogs such as my 31-pound short-haired Border Collie, 38-pound lab/Pitbull, and my 40-pound Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbull, only needed 1/5th of the entire tube each.

After modifying the dosage I also modified the way the product was applied. I applied the product with a light-hand beginning just ahead of their shoulders in a broken line the width of 5 hairs to the base of their tails. No more fleas and no side effects. I believe that problems have resulted from improper dosing on the part of Hartz. If I had used an entire tube any one of my dogs, he or she would have experienced the same symptoms, side-effects or may have died.

I believe that this one-size- dose-works-for-all is a serious mistake. I believe that Hartz has a very good product. But there is a very serious dosing error that is the core problem resulting in neurological toxicity and the avoidable suffering and deaths of many dogs. Topical Flea and Tick products typically contain powerful Neuro Toxins. This is how the work to kill fleas and ticks. They target the nervous system and brain. in very small doses they are usually safe for dogs, cats and yes humans. Insects are much smaller than dogs and cats. The very small amounts needed to kill these nasty pests should not be affecting the dogs. Hartz needs to reconsider how to dose this product. I feel that the concentrations of this pesticide should be based on 10-pound increments and the length and density of the dogs' coats.

It takes a whole less of this product to effectively treat 31-40 pound, smooth-haired, 1/4 to 1-inch length coat than it does for 31-40 pound dog with a dense double coat, a coat that drags on the floor or thick curly coat. Just as it takes less shampoo to wash super short hair than it does to wash thick or long hair. It is just common sense. Come on Hartz, you have a good thing here. Reconsider how you are packaging and the dosing guidelines for this product.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

We put this products on our cat as directed and within 24 hours his fur was gone and the skin was burned and bleeding. We cleaned it off as soon as we noticed it. We will never buy from this company again after reading some of the other reviews similar to our issue.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I put this product on my cat and it does not seem safe to use. There was so much of it. I placed it between the shoulder blades and her eyes were burning and the smell was so strong. I will never use this product again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have used the Ultra Guard (purple tubes, not the Pro), in the past and it was inexpensive and it worked as they said it would. Usually lasting 30 days. I have 7 cats. I previously had a problem when the topical medicine was applied and latter added a flea collar maybe 2 weeks later (bad idea). One cat out of 7 got a little sick, removed the flea collar and he recovered. This June I began using the Ultra Guard Pro as the cheaper stuff wasn't available. It didn't work at all. 3 days after application all my cats were infested with fleas, worse than ever. After 5 days it was even worse. After 7 days only a bath worked. On day 10 fleas still infesting. Day 15 another bath. 1 cat later died of flea bites, or over exposure to medicine that didn't work after ripping itself raw. Yes the fleas can infect the animal too or excessive bites cause anemia which can cause the animal's organs to shut down. This product is horrible.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I applied Hartz flea drops to my 62lb red nosed pit bull, which is a very sturdy dog, and she won't move and is breathing very slowly. I have to take her to the vet!! This stuff is poison and my baby better not die! How can they still sell this crap if it's poisoning our pets!?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Hartz Products harm animals! We bought the flea and tick Ultraguard for our cat and a few days later I found her dead. She had had a seizure. This product needs pulled off shelves! If it was killing children, there would be a recall! What do we have to do to get rid of it?!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

My experience with the company is very very poor. I put this medication on my cat Lilo and within 30 minutes he was disoriented and then less than 20 minutes after he started having seizures I almost lost him. Had to rush him to the doctor and now he is on seizure medication for the rest of his life. His motor skills are messed up. His century is messed up. He is scared of everything now and all he does is sleep. He used to be an active chap. Not scared of anything. My opinion this should be took it off the market. Don't want no other to go through what I've been going through. Thank you.

Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick Drops Company Information