4.0/5 (485 ratings)

About Freshpet

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

Pros

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

Cons

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

We have been purchasing the Freshpet select beef flavor "dog logs" for a while now as an additive to my dog's regular kibble. Usually the food is fine, and at first they seemed to really like it. However occasionally, as was the most recent purchase, the tubes have a mucus like slime all over the food, and all inside the package. You can literally squeeze it out. There is probably a 1/4 cup of slime in total. I don't want to feed this to my dog. I did feed them some once thinking it was a food additive or preservative, and my dog acted like he wasn't feeling well, and threw up the next morning. I wish I had trusted my gut and just threw it away. You cant tell if it's going to be a slimy one at the store until you get home and cut the tube open. This is such a waste, as these are a bit pricey, and have raised in price along with everything else at the store. I will not be purchasing these anymore, and wanted to warn others not to waste their money.

Freshpet response

Hello Amy. We appreciate your feedback. Please know, the quality of our food is very important to us and we have forwarded your information over to our Quality Assurance Team for their review.

We will be reaching out to you via DM so we can provide further assistance. Regards, Genevieve

Consumer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I have been using Freshpet for a few months now and no complaints. However when I cut into the latest loaf I purchased a mucus like slime came out and the product was very slippery/slimy to the touch with a slight brown tinge in color on the outside. This is the first time I've seen this and will not feed my dog this.

Freshpet response

Hello Michael. Sorry you had that experience with our food. We will reach out to you directly to obtain additional information. Your loyalty to Freshpet is valued. Regards, Genevieve, CC Team

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We wanted to give our new puppy the best dog food out there so we went to Fresh Pet. We thought it must be the best since it's refrigerated and carried at a LOT of places. We were wrong. We tried several flavors and our dog hated it all and wouldn't eat it unless she was starting to death. We think we know why... It's smells terrible, like it's sour or spoiled. Not just once but every new batch we got. No wonder our dog hated it. We feel bad we ever tried to get her to eat it.

We now make our own food for her that we KNOW is fresh and made with organic people grade food. It's not that hard and makes us feel so good because she loves it so much! First time she's EVER eaten the whole bowl at one time and is looking for more. She's so excited to eat now we can't believe it. We found the recipe on Google and we feel so good about what she's eating now. Actual organic people food so good we could eat it ourselves. Also, a LOT cheaper than any of the so called fresh dog food out there and we know it's fresh and organic. We make up a big batch and freeze it in daily sized feedings in ziplock baggies. Works out so good for us and we feel like good parents now!

Freshpet response

Hello Larry, sorry to hear your dog did not enjoy Freshpet. The product should not have a sour or spoiled smell. We will reach out to you directly to get more information regarding your experience. We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. Regards, Genevieve, Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Easy on a sensitive stomach, however lately I've noticed an excessive amount of carrots. In the smaller size bags, (1.75 lb) Home Cooked Chicken Recipe, I'm not happy about paying this much money for a serious handful of carrots in a cup of dog food. The larger size bags, (4.5 lbs) the proportions seem to be much better.

Freshpet response

Hi Bobbie. Thank you for your feedback. We will reach out to you directly for additional information. Your loyalty to Freshpet is appreciated. Regards, Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

My dog has a very sensitive stomach. I chose Freshpet grain free and it's been amazing. To serve her fresh food every day and not have to cook it for her it's a real blessing. She eats it immediately and we never have tummy issues. She's a 15 pound Pomeranian so I get the package of grain-free chicken.

Freshpet response

Hi Tricia. It is truly rewarding when our pet parents feel so strongly about our brands. Our goal has always been to provide pet parents with the finest products. Praise such as yours is most welcome and greatly appreciated. Your comments will be shared with my management team. Regards, Genevieve- CC Team

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Freshpet is similar to homemade pet food. My rescue Shih Tzu enjoys it immensely. Tfhe first ingredient is the meat and all the grains appear fresh. My only complaint is that I can't find it just anywhere. It has to be refrigerated.

Freshpet response

Hello Judith. Thank you so much for providing your wonderful feedback to us. We really appreciate the love!! Regards, Genevieve - CC Team

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Been feeding Freshpet since my groomer recommended it a couple months ago but stopped this week. Dunce my dog had developed diarrhea twice while on the food. Made an appointment with the vet. And in the 48 hours before the appointment my dog's health went south. He became lethargic, drinking extreme amounts of water and shaking. The vet diagnosed pancreatitis, gave him meds, and IVs and we need to go back tomorrow for more of the same. He isn't severe enough to be hospitalized. I just stopped feeding the freshpet this week because I suspect it in the recurrent diarrhea. A cause of pancreatitis is high fat diet. Freshpet almost killed my dog in just 2 months. And cost my wallet significantly.

Freshpet response

Thank you reaching out to us, Sam. We are sorry to hear about your pup's experience. We will reach out to you directly in order to get additional information from you. Our fur babies mean so much to us, they truly are family. Kind Regards, Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

This is the only food my 3 dogs will eat it fresh and natural, they love the variety of cranberries and carrots. Price is reasonable and you can find it in the refrigerator in the pet aisle! Worth every penny.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I bought this to mix with kibble to give them a little healthy boost, just a few tablespoons not even a full serving. Next day they both have almost liquid diarrhea, with mucus and one is vomiting. Nothing else has changed and it has gone on all day. I have stopped the food and will be taking them to the vet if nothing changes tomorrow.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I had been giving my shorkie Fresh Pet for several months. I noticed he started vomiting and having diarrhea. He also wouldn’t touch his food sometimes. This is the only food I had been giving him because he liked it at first and was very picky. I took him to vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong but told me to keep an eye on him. That’s when I started paying attention to his food and decided to switch it because he wouldn’t touch it anymore. The vomiting and diarrhea stopped immediately. So I waited for a while and decided to try the fresh pet again. He vomited 30 mins after I had given it to him. So I don’t know if the formula or protein is too high for certain dogs. Or if the food was molded. I see it was recalled a few weeks ago but should have been recalled months before.

I came here to do a review because fresh pet is filtering or blocking the bad reviews on their site. It will say your review has been submitted but when I look for my review on their site I can’t find it. Their site only has 3 and 4 stars from customers. I’m grateful that I caught it in time before my dog developed serious stomach issues. I had to give him probiotics to get his stomach back on track. I will never buy anything from this company again. Especially since I tried to review them twice and I can’t find it. This tells me they have no integrity and don’t care about me or my pet. I also notice a few months back you couldn’t find the food online or in the store. Now their bags have been given a fresh look. I think they already knew something was wrong with this food. And I lost money on the food I threw away.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Our animals (1 dog, 4 cats) love to have a slice in the morning for breakfast of the rolls. For the dog, I buy the HUGE roll, slice it up, freeze it and it lasts about 4-5 weeks. Thank you for producing a great product.

Freshpet response

Hi Stacey - we are glad to hear that your pets love our food! Thank you so much for sharing the Freshpet love! - Freshpet Consumer Care

Original review: May 4, 2021

My dogs love the loaves. Even my picky 12 year old Maltipoo! My other dog, a 14 year old Papillion, has an auto immune disease and it's a great way to keep her healthy. When it's dinner time they bark and whine, they get sooo excited!

Freshpet response

Hi Irene - It makes us so happy to hear how much your pups love our food! We are thrilled to make super yummy pet food that keeps pets nourished. Thank you so much for sharing the love! - Freshpet Consumer Care

Original review: May 4, 2021

While I cannot say definitively that this food was the cause, our previously healthy two year old toy dog ate this food and threw up a few hours later. She continued to throw up and couldn't even keep water down. We had never fed her Freshpet before. We took her to the vet who said she had a bout of pancreatitis. That was the first and last time we buy Fresh Pet. Again, while I cannot personally confirm the veracity of mold being an issue with this food, I've seen many discussions regarding mold problems associated with Fresh Pet.

Freshpet response

Hello Kira, sorry to hear about your experience. We will reach out to you directly in order to get more information. Our pups are family and mean so much to us. Regards, Genevieve

Original review: April 8, 2021

I contacted customer care to inquire if they ever offered promotions or coupons on certain sites and they wrote me back stating that they would mail me some coupons! How nice is that!! This year has been So Hard and I love my little guys more than anything and they now love Fresh Pet food.. I am still unemployed and hopefully going back to work soon so them taking the time to mail me coupons means the world to me. :) Sammy and Joey thank you and I thank you too!! ❤️

Freshpet response

Thank you Carmella for sharing your wonderful Freshpet story with us. We're so happy to hear that mealtime is now so enjoyable for Sammy and Joey. Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: April 8, 2021

Great product, my dog has diabetes and works well with her. I would really appreciate coupons to help out with the price. I can trust your food with my dog. Your employees have been nice to me on the phone. I would truly appreciate it if you could keep sending me coupons due to my low household income. Thanks again, sincerely Fred **.

Freshpet response

Hi Fred. Thanks so much for providing your wonderful feedback. We do not have a coupon program but be sure to sign up for our newsletter at Freshpet.com to be kept up to date on special offers and giveaways. Have a lovely day with your pup! Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have been purchasing FreshPet for our 4 year old dog and when we first began he had lost interest in eating his regular dry food so I had always wanted to try this and it came to our nearby grocery store so I did, I purchased the tender chicken roll and he loved it and would eat his food right away when we fed him. The grocery store ran out of the roll so I purchased the bag and noticed afterwards that he had no interest in eating his food which we would mix with his dry food. He threw up a couple of times and was listless.

Figuring that it was the FreshPet, we threw out the bag of food and then bought the rolls which he was fine with and now the same thing has happened, we bought the bag of tender chicken because our grocery store had run out of the usual rolls that we buy and he has eaten it for a few days and then one day he stopped eating. He would go to his food bowl and smell it and turn away. He threw up a couple of times and is not very energetic. I told my son to pick out the FreshPet out of his food bowl and see if he'll eat and as soon as my son put the bowl down, our dog ate after not having any food all day.

This morning we fed him without the FreshPet and sure enough he ate. The expiration date is in July of 2021 in case you're wondering. When I bought this bag the grocery store only had the large bags which were $19.99 and now I have to throw it out with half the bag full. If you are going to make dog food, please, please be sure to put only the best fresh ingredients.

Freshpet response

Hello Andrea. We're very sorry you had this experience and would like to do what we can to make things right. This is certainly not what you should expect from Freshpet. We will be reaching out to you directly for additional information. Regards, Genevieve-Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 27, 2021

I found my answer why this is happening in your FAQ. My 4 pets love your Freshpet foods and it is really scary when I can't find it in the stores as they will not eat anything else. I really love the convenience of your foods also.

Freshpet response

Hi Sandra. Thank you so much for providing your wonderful feedback to us. We really value our Freshpet family, so we're always here to help in any way we can. Regards, Genevieve, Consumer Care Team ????

Original review: March 26, 2021

I love this and it has been such a life saver for my 16 year old Yorkie who has lost all his teeth and was such a picky eater but eats this and even stands and waits for it...I am so grateful I have found this and don't know how much longer my fur baby would have lived without teeth and being able to chew. What a great product. I am forever grateful.

Freshpet response

Hi Leisa! Knowing that our food has made such a positive impact for your pup just made our day! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 24, 2021

I submitted a question about coupons and received a quick response and was informed that coupons are on the way!! I can’t wait for my pets to try out the Freshpet products! We are so beyond excited! Thanks for everything, you guys rock!!

Freshpet response

Hi Shelley! We are happy your furbabies want to try Freshpet. Please let us know how they enjoyed our products. Have a nice day. Regards, Genevieve, Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 22, 2021

My dogs 3 Yorkshire terriers depend on the Fresh pet. Sometimes I have to go miles and miles to get a fresh pet. I usually get the big chicken and turkey rolls. Now their favorite is Spinach and potato. My little guy has a shunted liver and Fresh Pet dog food saved his life. He's only 3 pounds but he's the boss and he let us know when he wants his fresh pet.

Freshpet response

Thank you Jeff for the wonderful words! We are so pleased your pups enjoy Freshpet and your little guy is doing so well! Have a super day. Regards, Genevieve - Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 22, 2021

I just want to say thank you for excellent customer service! My pups love the Fresh Pet line of products and I love giving them a fresh product for these meals and also I give my pups a treat, they absolutely love it.

Freshpet response

Hello Christina. Thank you so much for providing your wonderful feedback to us. We really appreciate the love!! Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 17, 2021

Thank you for sending me some coupons for your products. It really helps my budget to use opportunities to save money. I asked & you gave. Can't be simpler than that. I often don't have success at receiving coupons when requested from other companies so I really appreciate your prompt response.

Freshpet response

We really value our Freshpet family and appreciate your feedback. We hope you have a great rest of your day! ???? Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have two dogs and both are picky eaters with allergies. After much research, I tried this food and both dogs LOVE it! I also like that I can purchase it at my local grocery store. Can't wait to receive my coupons so my dogs can try a few other products. Thank you so much!!

Freshpet response

Hello Nicole. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Hearing about your sweet pups really made our day. We are SO thankful that you all are part of the Freshpet family. Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 15, 2021

My little Pom chi’s are finicky eaters. They gobble this up!! I love that it’s fresh and natural, and provides what they need and like. Sometimes I have to buy a big bag, but I just portion out a weeks worth at a time and store in the freezer.

Freshpet response

Hi Becky. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. We are so happy to hear that our food has positively impacted your little Pom chi's. We wish you all the best! ???? Sincerely, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 15, 2021

Small dog food bags. Very hard to find at grocery stores. Very expensive at pets stores actually twice the price. This is all my dog likes to eat. Easy for her because of her age and teeth. Have been running around to different grocery stores and walmarts. Always out.

Freshpet response

Hi Deborah. Sorry you are having difficulty finding our Freshpet Select Small Dog Meals. Depending on our production schedules, the replenishment of certain recipes may occur sooner or later than other recipes. I can assure you that we are working 24/7 to craft our recipes and ship them to retailers asap! The resolution definitely won't happen overnight, but you will start to see an improvement week over week. Your loyalty and patience are appreciated. Regards, Genevieve - Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 10, 2021

I would like to say that my dogs love Fresh pet! When the pandemic hit it became harder to get the rolls for my three. I called one day and spoke to a wonderful kind caring customer representative who told me she apologized for the inconvenience and would like to send me a coupon to help us out for our troubles. Can’t tell you how awesome that felt to have a company actually care.

Fast forward a few months now I have five dogs. Someone I know was murdered and the dogs weren’t being properly cared for so I ended up with them but with lots of medical costs. I started having even more problems finding the food and I didn’t want to disrupt their diet again so I reached out to the company for a second time and explained my situation. OMG I couldn’t believe how fast they responded and offered another coupon. That made my day I tell you. I will continue spending my money with people who sell good products but most of all are kind. Thank you FreshPet.

Freshpet response

Beth, thank you for your kind words. We will pass them along to the consumer care rep. Have a wonderful day with your pups! Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 5, 2021

My Shih tzu would not eat after his best friend (my poodle) passed away, they had been together for over 10 years every day. Heartbreaking for everyone. I went through all types of different food but he was just so depressed he would not eat. He drank water and ate his favorite snack but that was it, and certainly not enough to sustain him.

I finally decided to try FreshPet, always wanted to try it but with two dogs it was just to expensive for my budget. But now I only have my Gizmo so I said let’s give it a try. He absolutely loves it, his mood and actively level has improved so much. He is much older as well and he has heart problems so I don’t know how much longer my Gizmo will be with us, but between his meds and FreshPet he is doing so well and I will continue to feed him this food. My heart breaks when I think about him leaving us, but when he sees me putting his food in his bowl his tail wags like a new puppy and that makes me so happy. Thank you FreshPet for putting life back into my Gizmo. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Freshpet response

Hello Sandra! Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are so happy our food has made such a difference to your sweet pup’s life. We are so glad you are part of the Freshpet family. ???? Gizmo is gorgeous!! Have a great day! Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 2, 2021

Hi, My dogs really love your product but I have 5 of them and 20 puppies right now and it’s costing a fortune to feed them with your food. It’s money I don’t have. Any chance you have coupons available? Or buy in bulk discounts?

Freshpet response

We thank you so much for reaching out to us. We wish you and your fur family all the best! Unfortunately, we do not sell our products directly to our pet parents, but we would be happy to send you a couple of coupons to use. Your interest in Freshpet is greatly appreciated! Stay well! Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 1, 2021

As of today I'm extremely upset with this company due to the following inactions of their customer service. My dogs have been eating this since they came out with Fresh from the Kitchen [which no longer has any cranberries in the bag. That's the only brand I give them. When I could no longer find this anywhere, Target, Walmart, Shoprite, Amazon, I switched to Multi Protein bags.. Now I cannot find that anywhere and I've called Customer Service numerous times to no avail. Today I phoned Secaucus where they are based and I received no apology, no plausible reason for their refrigerators to be empty for the last 6 weeks.

In truth Genaveve who I spoke with actually lied to me by saying she was in Walmart when it was delivered. So my response was if it was delivered why have the managers looked in the back storage looking for food, to find none.... When I told her that I was at Walmart the day she claimed she was there and she's lying to me.... So in essence, I've accomplished nothing in trying to get answers as to when are you delivering, but they are no longer nice people to deal with and I don't know what to feed my dogs.

Freshpet response

Hello Dale, we thank you for reaching out with your concerns. As we previously communicated, we are sorry that you have not been able to easily locate our food in stores. Freshpet is experiencing greater out-of-stocks than normal because the rate of our growth has accelerated to a level beyond our installed manufacturing capacity. Additionally, the holidays and several winter storms in the Northeast and Midwest impacted commercial delivery schedules by several weeks.

The good news is that we have recently finished construction of our second Kitchen, right next to our original Kitchen in Bethlehem, PA. The construction of that Kitchen was delayed by about a month due to shelter-in-place orders last year, which impacted our ability to produce the amount of food to meet the increased demand. Now that we have begun crafting food at our new Kitchen, we are working around the clock to make more food.

While we wish we could give you an exact date for when you can expect to see food in your local chillers, availability will vary by recipe, regional area and retailer.  This is certainly not an overnight solution, but you will notice a gradual improvement in inventory levels every week as we approach the Spring.

We understand how frustrating this has been for our pet parents and hope you know that we are committed to resolving our inventory challenges asap. We truly appreciate your patience and your loyalty to Freshpet! Stay well. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

My mom has two elder dogs that have diet restrictions and Freshpet rolls are the one food that they can tolerate and love!! The dogs have lost most of their teeth since they are 14 and 13 years old and have a hard time chewing. The rolls have been been able for them to chew and tolerate.

Freshpet response

We are so pleased to hear that your fur babies are doing so well on our food! It is especially wonderful to hear that Mollie is able to chew on our Freshpet rolls. We hope they continue to enjoy our food. Stay well! Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Freshpet Company Information