3.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

196 Freshpet Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 31, 2019

In January of 2019. I was a Walmart looking for healthier dog for my 3 dogs. All different breeds. And the dog food at the pet stores are way too expensive. I was talking out loud. Yes I do that when I shop. A veterinarian list dog food shopping for his dog too. He recommended Freshpet dog food. To be honest we never even looked at the price, before. It was 13.00-19.00 Depending on the size of the log, you get. My dogs LOVE it so much. Their fur has not been so shiny. Even the beagle.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've contacted the company for coupons for my mother who is a senior citizen and only uses FreshPet for her dog. Great food and great customer service. I had to take her other dog due to new living arrangements for her and I only use FreshPet as well. Very pleased with FreshPet. Thank you for responding.

Original review: May 29, 2019

My dog Lola is crazy about Fresh Pet. She is getting older and we had started to notice her slowing down and not being as playful as she once was. I friend recommended Fresh Pet and we bought it even though it was a bit more expensive. But to our surprise we have seen a huge difference in her playful demeanor and her activity level. So thank you Fresh Pet for giving us more good years with our best friend! Sincerely, Stephanie

Original review: May 28, 2019

I tried Freshpet Select Chicken for small dogs & my dog loved it for a few months until he ended up getting sick. I sent an email explaining the sour smell & my dog getting sick in May. They apologized & sent some free coupons. I went to the store & purchased another bag of dog food. Expiration date is September (It’s May 28th today). When I opened the bag it was a grayish color and had chunks of mold. It’s just not worth risking my dog’s health for hit or miss quality.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 26, 2019

I bought Fresh Pet "Tender Chicken Recipe" for our cat. She loved it; however, she threw it up the next morning and then threw up twice more and remained lethargic to the point that I brought her to the vet late in the day. Diagnosis "Scarf and Barf." BUT, when I reintroduced a small amount two days later, and warmed it, the food caused the microwave to immediately "arc and spark," in a manner consistent with the presence of metal. I repeated with a different Fresh Pet sample, then something else. Only the Fresh Pet caused the microwave to arc and spark. Whatever was in the offending pellet emitted smoke immediately as well. The bag was purchased at McQuade's Grocery in Mystic, CT with a sell by date of 9/17/19. The bar code label reads 2797501005. This bag is getting tossed but I will consider trying another in the future.

Freshpet response

Hi Susan, Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear your cat was not feeling well. If this was the first time using Freshpet Cat food, whenever a change in diet is made, it must be done gradually. This helps avoid the digestive upsets and food refusals, which can occur if a diet is changed too quickly. As with any new food, when feeding for the first time you should gradually introduce the food a little at time, mixed with your pet's current food. Over time, gradually increase the amount of Freshpet Select. Our recipes contain vitamins and minerals which makes our food complete and balanced. The arcing you saw in your microwave is caused by a combination of our vegetables and mineral mix in our foods. All of our foods undergo metal detection after packing, so we can assure you there is no metal in any of our foods. We will reach out to you via private message so we can obtain additional information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2019

My dog had been eating this food for a good long while and I noticed she would throw up often but never suspected the food till I started noticing it smelling rancid after 1 day and dates were good. I passed it off as just being closed up till I was dog sitting a family member's dog who is small (8lbs) and gave her some of the new roll I just opened and both my dog and that one got very ill. And the small one so bad that she had to be rushed to the vet for severe gastric distress-diarrhea and vomiting and is still very very ill weeks later over this. She was fine till I fed her this food and it sparked my curiosity as to if it was causing my own dog's sickness and started looking online and seen a bazillion complaints for the same problems - some animals dying - and I wanna know why this food hasn't been recalled!! Pets are dying!!

This food has an odor to it even when opening a new tube. I normally purchase from Walmart and it always appeared to be refrigerated well. This issue is with the food. I hate to think I was resp for this because I fed the food trusting Freshpet was safe but it's not!!! I hope the small dog doesn't die as a result of the awful symptoms she is battling. She has had to have IV fluids and is on several meds to save her. This is terrible and explains why my dog is always vomiting and some days refused to even eat it when put out. Something is terribly wrong with this food and it needs to be recalled and people notified before their pet dies. You people should be ashamed.

I see complaints as far back as 2015 and you KNOW it's happening!! If you love your furbaby stay farrrrr away from this food!!! It's rotten before you even buy it and very misleading till you place it in a container and put in fridge for a few hrs then go back and open it and it smells rotten!!!! If you are one of the lucky ones who haven't had a sick dog or cat yet, you would be smart to get them off of this food NOW because it's just a matter of time before you will be rushing to the vet with a 500$ bill to try to save their lives. Shameful that this company is covering this up. Just do a search online and you will see what they don't want you to! I doubt my post will be allowed but if I can save anyone else the heartache I'm going through right now trying to save my relative's dog as well as my own dog being on antibiotics for being sick, it's worth it. DON'T USE THIS FOOD.

Freshpet response

HI Mary, We appreciate you reaching out to us with your review. We will be following up with you via direct message so we can obtain a few more details. We hope your dogs are feeling better.

Original review: May 23, 2019

FreshPet has always responded in a timely manner. They will answer any concern you have without making you feel dumb. My dog absolutely loves their food. She will not eat anything else. She spins around in circles when I'm preparing it for her.

Original review: May 18, 2019

My 14 yr old dog has always been fussy. I feed my dogs meat over every bowl of kibble. She eats the meat and leaves the kibble. After years of different foods, we tried fresh pet. She even ate the carrots! She usually lays them beside the bowl when I cook it. Love it, looks and smells amazing!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have 5 rat terriers that are spoiled rotten. They would barely eat until I tried your product (Freshpet). They can't wait until meal time now. Thank you. They are now healthy and happy. I actually have one that cannot eat grain foods. Your grain free is a life saver.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Such a shame with as costly a product as this is. “Sell by” date on recent purchase is 07/19/19. We may get a few days worth of use before it starts to sour and we have to toss. We’ve purchased at WalMart (Kroger/King Soopers) and this is probably bag #3 that we’re having to toss. HELP!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Our three small dogs love your product. Unfortunately, the product that we purchased on Sunday, May 12, and opened on the morning of May 13 is turning gray and slimy today on May 16. We don't know about the safety of the remaining product. Once we open the package we put the product in an airtight container. We've probably tossed out three containers over the last three months. Rather than taking a chance and making them sick, we've tossed it out. It's a good product, but given the cost and perceived safety issues, you've probably lost us as a customer.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Like the other reviewers the last 2 bags I have purchased ended up in the trash. Upon opening, they smelled like spoiled meat with lots of garlic and Lucy refused to eat the food. I have just purchased a new bag, it smells better but still smells off. Sell by date is 9/16/19. What can I substitute until this issue is resolved?

Original review: May 15, 2019

Lucy a small Terrier lost teeth gradually and noticed an extreme weight loss. Found Freshpet and read reviews. She went nuts over it and gained weight and maintained. Our two chihuahuas are also eating Freshpet and cannot wait for dinner! (Fred 2x daily.) Other senior neighbors with senior dogs who have stopped eating kibbles are thriving on Freshpet. I only buy the rolls. I do not buy the the premise chew type. Just too chewy for my little ones. Also my reading is dogs need some grain so I don’t buy grain free and besides you need more per serving costing more.

The biggest problem is supply! The vendor is having a hard time keeping up with demand now!! It does freeze. Watch prices! Amazon is way overpriced. Walmart, King Soopers and Target. Petco carries Vital but spent. My dogs are super happy and deserve good food. Look up how dry food is made and you'll never go back! The

Original review: May 14, 2019

Second bag of rotten supposedly fresh moist dog food. We found black stuff in ours and the dogs went touch it. This is the second bag. Would upload a photo of the food and bag with Aug expiration date, but can't. DO not buy this dog food.

Freshpet response

Hi Jesse, Thank you for taking the time to share this important information with our Consumer Affairs Team. We are happy to hear your issue has been resolved.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Thank you for making Freshpet. It had helped our terminal dog enjoy his meals so much better. He enjoys the Freshpet grain free. For a dog who would hardly eat for months, we switched him to Freshpet and he eats like a beagle again.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I didn't used to have this problem. I've been buying FRESHPET® SELECT TENDER CHICKEN RECIPE WITH GARDEN VEGETABLES FOR CATS from my local Kroger for years. My picky kitty loved it and for that I was willing to pay $$$. The last 5 times I have bought these same bags from the same store (spaced a few weeks apart because I also have a back up) the smell has almost made me vomit. Opening them the same day or a day after buying. EXP date isn't for a few months. (2 stars because I didn't have this problem before) Every time I open a bag it's like someone farted directly into my face. And I'm not super happy that I paid for that experience. To be honest, it might be my Kroger. Just in case, ( ^-^) I'm going to take it back and convince them to sniff it.

Freshpet response

Hi Helen,Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. So sorry to hear of your experience. We will follow up with you via private message so we can obtain additional details.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Hello, I just had to let you know that my dogs LOVE your dog food. So happy I found something they love and is good for them. It's nice that there is no preservatives, vegetables and smells great. They have more energy and their coats are shiny. Thanks for a superior product.

Original review: May 11, 2019

When I first started buying Fresh Pet my animals seemed to like it very much, but over the last six months I have notice my animals getting upset stomachs. I also noticed that the Fresh Pet Company is loading up their food with carrots. So I decided to start removing almost any sign of the carrots in the Fresh Pet Select, Fresh from the Kitchen bags. I notice my animals stopped getting sick and trying to eat grass all the time. I just bought another bag of it yesterday and it was so loaded with carrots pieces I actually had three handfuls of carrots pieces in it.

It is very obvious to me they are trying to save money by loading up their so called food with carrots. It's disgusting. I will now not only NOT buy your products (which is not worth the money that is being charged for it) I'm going to tell everyone that has asked me about the food that it has now become a horrible food for the animals and don't waste their money. This be will by word of mouth, and all internet sites and also through the government office I work for. All I can do is hope your company fails and you go bankrupt. You'll get NO MORE of my money.

Freshpet response

Hi Vicky, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We will be sure to share your concerns about the amount of carrots in our recipes with our Quality Assurance Team here at Freshpet, and wish you and your four-pawed family members all the best!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

When I first learned about Freshpet (from vet) out of desperation for a food my maltipoo could digest and like the taste as well. Vet performed so many tests since he was 4 months old, different medications, different expensive foods, many vet bills etc. I cooked chicken and rice for him and it seemed the best option, but he was not getting needed vitamins. Vet finally said try Freshpet, Well, it was a miracle. Looked the food, digestive problems were in check with help of a 1/2 ** hr before meals, Problem I found was he lost quite a bit of weight, and only Walmart and one local supermarket sold your food (Bi-LO). My recent visit to the store had zero rolls (smaller ones) and just a couple of the larger rolls. My concern was a possible recall, since none of the rolls were available, I have never found the refridge, so empty. Have you had a recall? But I must say again this food has been a lifesaver for my little rescue dog. Thank you for FRESH PET.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I've been having consistent problems with the chicken pebble recipe for small dogs. I have 4 bags left in the fridge with expiration dates of Aug and Sept 2019. The current bag open for 4 days already has turned to a grey color and sour smell. Both of my dogs refuse to eat it and it may be due to the smell. The closed bags are now starting to turn color from the healthy pink it started as to a horrible grey. I tried taking it back to the grocery store but unfortunately don't have the receipt. Am thinking of switching back to the old brand.

Resolution response: May 21, 2019

Freshpet never contacted me about my review here or my email to them, they did however send me a coupon for a free bag, but that still doesn't address the "why" of how this occurred. I appreciate the refund, but I would still like to know a few more details about how this might have happened, considering the other reviews I've seen here that echo my original review. It seems to be a common issue.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been buying this product and also the roll for quite some time for my picky little chihuahua, Boog. The last bag I purchased (exp. 08/19/19) smelled a little off the second day after opening and completely soured by the third. My little guy loves this food, his energy levels have been so much better since I switched him to FreshPet. I messaged Freshpet's home page with the barcode and expiration date, but have yet to receive a response. I hope this is just a bad batch or something of that nature, my little guy truly enjoys this food.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We rescued a very finicky 8 month old Chihuahua on New Year's Eve. It's been quite a challenge to find something he will eat consistently. We've tried lots of different brands, all natural, grain free, etc etc etc, I even tried brands I never thought I'd buy. I recently watched an episode of The Prophet and Freshpet was featured. I was impressed with everything I saw! My preconceived thoughts were gone, replaced by a sense of hope that Freshpet may be something our picky guy Cruz would readily eat. I promptly purchased a few rolls and presented a measured portion, chopped up to our lil Prince. WHOA! He ate it ALL with enthusiasm, AND... licked every centimeter of his bowl spotless! Needless to say, we are thrilled and SOLD!

Thank you for everything you've done to bring a solid product to the masses! I have to be completely honest, I thought since it was in Walmart & other major retailers that it couldn't possibly be *all that good*. Shame on my narrow mind! I buy mine from Walmart & couldn't possibly be happier! Thanks again Freshpet! You've got a customer for life!

Fondly,

Stacey

PS: Cruz says a HUGE Thank you too!

Original review: May 9, 2019

My French bulldog enjoys this product, however, much like recent reviews that I just read, the last bag I purchased smelled sour within two days of being opened. There was also a mixture of normal colored chicken pieces and pieces of chicken that had turned brown. I threw the bag away. What is the cause of this?

Freshpet response

Hi Celina, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We will follow up with you privately so we can obtain additional details.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We have a super picky Chihuahua that has seizures fairly regularly. He was getting to the point where he would not eat his hard kibble and he had lost a significant amount of weight. We switched to Freshpet and he was like a different dog! He would eat all of his food quickly and would jump up and down every time we took the bag out of the fridge. The past two bags that we have purchased smelled fine when we opened them and two days later smell very sour and vinegary. The first one we threw out and bought a new one thinking it was just a fluke, and now this bag smells like it too. I’m afraid to give it to him!

Freshpet response

It was a pleasure speaking with you today Jennifer. We are happy your dog is doing so well using Freshpet. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what has happened and sharing the necessary information. We will send this to our Quality Team for further investigation.

Original review: May 7, 2019

My Bosley is a rescue I’ve had for 5 years. Freshpet is the only pet food I’ve found that doesn’t give him digestive issues. He loves it and eats it down as soon as he gets his plate. Thank you for making quality pet food for this very special family member, my baby Bosley. Also, I appreciate the help because I’m disabled and still want to provide him the best!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Vinegar smelling food. My dogs absolutely love this food, However I’m growing increasingly concerned about a sour smell from this particular type of food. We always check the expiration dates. This brand seems to smell sour after about two days, whether the small bag or large and happens when freezing portions in glass tight bowls or leaving it in the original bag. After the second day my dog doesn't eat it. This has been going on for a year and I thought it was my dog just being picky. I have thrown away so much of this food. It’s too expensive to pitch. Please advise.

Freshpet response

Hi Gregg, Thanks for contacting us. Our Consumer Care team advised they have reached out to you and have shared the product information you provided with our Quality Assurance team. We appreciate you bringing this important matter to our attention.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have 3 senior dogs. Since starting on Freshpet they are like puppies! Sadie, the blonde chihuahua is 13+ & until starting this food her eyes always looked runny & messy! Not anymore! Lil Bubba our oldest Yorkie mix will be 15 in October but don’t tell, as he now romps & plays like a young pup. Then there’s Toby, our Yorkie that we rescued 5 years ago and he’ll be 14 in July has found an improved gait & vitality. Freshpet restored all of our dogs' youthfulness and I recommend it frequently to all I see buying canned dog food. Why everyone does not feed Freshpet to their fur babies, blows my mind! They’ve been on it 3+ years now and we’ve no plans to stop. I’ve included a recent grooming photo. Toby has traditional Yorkie coloring, Sadie is the blonde and Bubba is more caramel coloring. Thank you for this amazing product!

Original review: May 3, 2019

As the cups are small, the font for the list of ingredients is small as well. SO, I did not see that they have listed "natural flavors". I called and the customer service operator had no idea what are the "Natural flavors". She said "things to make it taste good" well, like what? "Oh, vinegar and some other things; I pointed out that vinegar is listed already as a separate ingredient. So, probably not, SALT is an ingredient! SALT! Calcium carbonate - lots of things with calcium in them. This is not good for cats.

She told me that it is all approved by whatever board it is that oversees pet food. Well, of course it is or it would not be on the shelf (or in this case, the fridge) - still, the FACT is that my cats are drinking almost two entire bowls of water every day. Three cats - two large bowls. This is not right. She said they have three vet specialists working on these formulas or for them of something but in any event she promised to have them call me as "they" were all on phone calls or just "busy". It's been 48 hours (2 days) and no calls. It is possible that "they" were using a "private number or just an 800 number with no identification - but really, who answers those? My advice? Stay away.

Freshpet response

Hi Ivy, Thank you for contacting us. We will be reaching out to you via private message.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Harley, our 15 year-old Jack Russell has diabetes and needs injections of Vetsulin every 12 hours. In September 2018 he was on his death bed, wasting away because he would not eat. We tried it all; canned food, veterinarian prescribed food, cat food, all the kibbles and a couple of homemade dog food recipes, a variety of fresh meats, and exotic diets - all to no avail. At best he would eat a bite or two and reject the rest of the meal. Harley was nearly comatose when we tried Freshpet at the suggestion of my wife's cousin.

It worked! Wonderfully!! We chose Freshpet Chicken Roll with carrots and Peas. From the very first he devours his meals; now after more than seven months he barks and dances in anticipation of his meals. His diabetes is under control. We purchase it from Walmart. It is always fresh under refrigeration and available before the "sell by" date. Thank you, Freshpet. Indeed, without Freshpet loaf, I believe Harley would be dead!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have two German Shepherds, one is 4 the other is 14 which is getting up there in age for Shepherds. They both started not liking their foods and I was trying different kinds. I bought a large roll to see if they liked it. They love this food. It has increase the energy level in my older dog. I still leave dry food for them to munch on, but Freshpet is their main food now. Is there plans in the future for a dry food, as I would give them this for them to munch on. Coupons is always helpful. Thank You. This is Lucy and Ziva. The black dog (Lucy) is the 14 yr old.

Freshpet Company Information