It's that easy Request Information
3.26/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 15,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

129 Freshpet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 27, 2019

Lucy is my therapy dog as I'm disabled. At age 15 she stopped eating. I asked my husband to try Freshpet and he brought it home. Boy it changed everything. She is now eating three times a day which definitely has changed her life. I could see a difference in her almost the next day. I don't know how to thank a company that has done so much for elderly dogs and dogs in general. You guys have really hit it out of the box. Thank you.

Original review: March 22, 2019

How do you thank a company that has given your beloved dog his life and happiness back? For the first 8 yrs of Ace's life I've spent thousands of dollars on dog food to no avail. He was hungry but couldn't digest kibble. I cooked food and that too created loose stools and vomiting. Finally tried Freshpet. From the very first time I opened a beef roll Ace was standing at my feet begging for his meal. He is SO happy now. He eats like a champ and feels great! He is so loving and energetic. No more upset stomach for Ace. Thank you Freshpet! Your dog food is the BEST product out there. I am a customer for life!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 21, 2019

I've been buying the big bag of Fresh pet for both my small dogs. One is a Yorkie and the other a min pin. One day I started noticing some green in the bag we were already feeding them from, so we took it back to the store and they exchanged it. What I want people to know is just because the bag of food hasn't expired always be sure to check it when you open. Another thing even though my pups love this food I've been noticing one of my pets gets upset tummy and constipated at times. I'm now wondering if it's too heavy for her? She is 9 yrs old. Any thoughts please share with me.

Freshpet response

Thank you for your recent observations with one of our recipes. Sorry to hear you are finding the big bag is turning green. We always recommend using the food within 7 days of opening. The date on the bag is the sell by date, not the use by date. We have reached out to you via private message to help you with your other questions. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I tried this recently and was incredibly excited when I found that my Yorkshire actually likes it. However, I wish I had read the reviews before purchase which I always do, but I thought, it's just fresh food. When I opened the bag it smelled great, I could have eaten it myself. That smell only lasted 1 day. No my store doesn't have a defective fridge, yes I checked the exp. before even leaving the store (common sense). The food had a very sour, putrid smell by the 2nd day. I even tried freezing half of it and it still smelled. My dog had regurgitated his food that day but I thought it was due to something else. I finally realized that the food could have made him sick. By the 3rd day, the smell was so offensive I could not tolerate it and certainly was not about to give him any of it. Threw it out, back to kibble & fresh meat w/ veggies.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am so confused as to what is going on with this brand. I was so happy to find this food and my dog loved it. Every time I opened the bag it smelled of fresh chicken until about 2 weeks ago it started smelling sour. I returned the bag and got a new one with same smell. Expires May 2019. I went to 2 different store thinking maybe that store got a bad batch but they all smelled vinegary and off and my dog is not really interested in it only when he is starving will he eat it.

I called the company. They were nice and said we will look into it but I am concerned if this food has bacteria what is it doing to my dog? I thought maybe there was a problem with the distributor in my area, maybe one batch had a problem and they deliver to all those stores but to see how many people have had the same problem and their dogs getting sick (complaints since 2018) what is going on? Is it just me or did it used to smell of fresh chicken. After reading how any dogs got sick I think I will have to change foods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I bought this product mainly because maintaining raw meat diet for 2 JRT's was getting to be too much. I thought a Freshpet product would help. I purchased a 3 lb. bag on a Friday & Sunday afternoon it has a vinegar type odor. Definitely a different smell from when I first opened the bag. Food doesn't look like it changed color. An answer to another review from Freshpet recommended excess food that won't be consumed within 7 days be frozen, so I divided all the remaining food in the original bag into 1-day portions & froze them. I hate to waste food but I'm hesitant to feed the vinegar smelling food to my dogs. The Freshpet bag is stamped with "Sell by 5/28/19 04:32 L2".

Original review: March 16, 2019

Bought this for the first time today. I opened the bag and poured into doggie dish at same time. He dug into it. As I was standing up the smell was gag worthy. It smelled very...sulfurous I guess is the best way to describe it. I'll be returning it. I really hope my dog doesn't get sick. It took my breath away. It can't be normal. Haven't been breathing properly since that. Maybe the bag has gone bad? Expiry is not til end of May.

Freshpet response
Hello Millie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Which Freshpet product were you using?
We want to assure you that we take great care in the way we make our foods, from how we craft our recipes to our cooking process to ensure they are delicious, but also safe to feed. Our recipes are pasteurized to destroy bacteria, packaged under strict hygienic conditions and then refrigerated to maintain freshness.

No products are released from our control until having undergone over 20 quality and safety tests. Our Quality Assurance Team would like to check production and quality records for the product in question so you can see knowing which one you used would be very helpful.

Freshpet operates the highest quality pet food facility in the world. Our Freshpet Kitchens in Bethlehem, PA is an FDA SQF Level 3 which is the highest you can get in the pet food or human food industry. In addition, please provide more detailed information from the package. The complete UPC, sell by date, time stamp and line code. We would also like to know where you purchased the food. This information helps us with our investigation. Our food should not have an off aroma as you described and we would like to get much more detail. Please give us a call at 866-789-3737 between 9 am and 4:30 pm and we will be happy to discuss your experience. Regards, the Freshpet Care Team

Original review: March 15, 2019

We’ve been giving our Honey this food for several months now and she simply loves it. We opened a new bag and fed it to her on a Saturday. On Sunday she tried to poop and couldn’t and didn’t want to eat. She didn’t eat for two and a half days and finally had some diarrhea on the third day just in time as we were about to go to the vet. We thought she picked up a virus, so on the third day we gave her some of the food again. (We always finished the food within 5 days.) She got sick again. I’m now petrified to give her this food again. I’m not sure what happened because the other bags we bought at the same time were fine. We had just bought another three bags of food and now I’m afraid to give it to her.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Have been using this brand for about 18 months. First problem with this company is it was hit and miss finding this product in my area (Greater Los Angeles ) for months. Called company direct only to get the runaround. Finally they get the distribution evened out and now this is happening. Now I have just opened my second rotten bag in 2 days. Both have the same date code Sell by 06/13/19 (same batch). Called their number and spoke with a rep at a call center and told that this information would be forwarded to Freshpet. NO SENSE OF URGENCY? REALLY? Freshpet has a refrigerated display unit in a chain large chain retailer full of defective obviously spoiled and expensive "premium" cat food. We originally searched for a better alternative to the Purina Cat food that we discovered full of maggots. I will not be using Freshpet products again. ****** AVOID FRESH PET PRODUCTS ******

Original review: March 5, 2019

Gracie loved the first few bags of the chicken with salmon and egg - the food was fresh. The most recent bag had a strong odor and is now turning grey/green although the expiration is May 2019. Gracie has thrown up twice since eating it. I’m taking it back to Petco today. Too much risk and it’s too expensive to waste. Sorry Freshpet - Gracie comes first!

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. Our goal is to create the healthiest foods possible for dogs and cats. We will share your recent comments with our Quality Assurance Team. It is always helpful to have information from the packaging to provide to the team to resolve any product issues. Your loyalty to Freshpet is valued and we hope Gracie is feeling better. Call us and we would happy to assist you with any questions or concerns. The Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 2, 2019

While my Havanese loves this food, w/in a few days a sour smell was very prominent. I see it should be used w/in 7d of opening. She doesn’t eat enough to consume what’s in a bag for a wk. Should have read fine print. The sell-by date is: 5/8/2019. Timestamp: 23:05 L2. UPC: 27975 01124. It’s disappointing, but I’m afraid to feed this again.

Hi Sally,
Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry to hear about your experience with Vital Beef and Lamb. As stated on the package, our foods are designed to be used within 7 days of opening. It could develop an off aroma if used beyond that recommended time.  You might consider freezing part of the package if you do not feel you will use it all within 7 days.
Our Kitchens always strive to make our Vital recipes healthy and balanced for all our pets. We want to assure you that we take great care in the way we make our foods, from how we craft our recipes to our cooking process to ensure they are delicious, but also safe to feed. Our recipes are pasteurized to destroy bacteria packaged under strict hygienic conditions and then refrigerated to maintain freshness.
A coupon will be sent to use toward another purchase. Give us a call with any questions.
The Consumer Care Team

Freshpet Care Team

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

In January 2019 I bought a bag of the soft chicken based food (not the loaf) and it seemed fine. My dog Bella loved it. However, after only two days I opened the bag to feed her and noticed a strong sour smell. Also, the food had a greyish color. The expiration date wasn't until May of 2019, and I know I sealed the bag properly. Our refrigerator is in top condition. I wasn't happy, but I hadn't saved my receipt so I didn't return it to the store. Thinking it was a fluke, I went to a different store and purchased a bag of the beef based kind. It seemed fine and she ate it, but during the night she became ill, throwing up and miserable. The next morning on instinct, I opened the bag and again was greeted with a foul sour odor and the food had turned a greyish tint. And again the expiration date wasn't until months later. I inspected the bag and there were no tears or damage. I tossed it and took her to the vet where he diagnosed food poisoning.

Happily, she recovered. I just called customer service and they thought it was probably that the coolers from BOTH stores were faulty and they're gonna check it out. Really? I've been reading all these reviews where the SAME THING is happening. Faulty coolers/tears in bags, etc. And also the response that "you should gradually introduce a new food." This wouldn't explain the sour smell/grey color though. They said I should've saved the bags so that I could have provided more detailed information about the product so they could look into it. The representative kindly offered to send me free coupons...no thanks. And risk my dog's health? Along with wasted money? I say there needs to be a serious investigation done by an outside party. This is happening too often. Beware, folks! Do NOT buy this product.

Freshpet response

Hello Suzanne, We are very concerned with the comments you shared regarding Freshpet. When you phoned our office you did not mention about Bella becoming ill and needing vet care. We have a veterinarian team available who can speak to both you and your vet regarding any health issues. The diagnosis of food poisoning is difficult to understand since the Freshpet cooking process kills off Salmonella, E-Coli, Listeria, and other meat based pathogens. The foods are packaged under hygienic conditions and refrigerated to maintain freshness. No products are released from our control until having undergone over 20 quality and safety tests. Freshpet operates the highest quality pet food facility in the world.

Our Freshpet Kitchens in Bethlehem, PA is an FDA SQF Level 3 which is the highest you can get in the pet food or human food industry. If the product had a sour smell we would want to get back the empty bag for evaluation. There could be a slight hole in the seam that is not visible to your eye. We have equipment in place to test the bag. In addition, we would like information from the package to share with our Quality Assurance Team. You threw out the bag and could not provide any product information for our team.

As a matter of due diligence, we have the refrigerated cases checked for proper temperature. You also mentioned this was a new recipe for your dog. Sometimes a change in diet will cause digestive issues. We spoke to you about transitioning a new diet for your dog. We take all complaints very seriously. We see those reviews too and they are very upsetting. When the pet parent gets in touch with us we are always happy to help. It is unfortunate that people can post anything they want on the internet before they give us a chance to help. Feel free to give us a call at 866-789-3737 and we will be happy to speak to you. Regards, Freshpet Care Team

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

My dogs absolutely love this food, However I’m growing increasingly concerned about a sour smell from this particular type of food. We always check the expiration dates. This brand seems to smell sour after about two days. It’s too expensive to pitch. But don’t want to make my Cavaliers sick. Please advise.

Freshpet response

Hi Lynn, Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear this. Can you please call our Consumer Care line @ 1-866-789-3737 Mon-Fri 9-4:30 with the upc code, sell by date and time stamp from the package? We would like to share this information with our Quality Assurance team. We appreciate you letting us know about this.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been feeding my standard poodle the beef roll mixed with Canidae kibble for over 4 years, she is 4.5 yrs old. About 10 days ago she started vomiting and had severe diarrhea. The next day she was much worse with balance issues and overall weakness. Brought her to the vet. Severe dehydration, severe bacterial infection...food poisoning! Based on very similar complaints in the last few months Freshpet needs to recall their products immediately to figure out what is going on. My vet asked me point blank if I fed her Freshpet and I was taken aback. After 2 days and several hundreds in bills she is on the mend. From now on she will get boiled chicken, kibble and veggies that I make, not buy pre made. Time for a recall Freshpet, it may just save your company.

Freshpet response

Hi Greg, We are sorry to hear your dog was not well. We want to assure you we take great care in our product formulations and manufacturing processes to make the best pet foods. Freshpet products are processed in a modern pet food facility under sanitary conditions to produce safe and nutritious pet foods. Our cooking process involving pasteurization which kills off Salmonella, E-Coli, Listeria, and other meat based pathogens. The foods are packaged under hygienic conditions and refrigerated to maintain freshness. Please call our consumer care line if you or your veterinarian would like to speak with us regarding your experience. We hope your girl is feeling better. 1-866-789-3737 Mon*-Fri 9-4:30 EST

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Our dog use to eat salmon and white fish or sometimes the beef. Every day she love it but a couple weeks ago we tried the bison and she has sick with diarrhea ever since so I’ll we almost lost her. She is ten years old and it’s too much of a risk with this dog food. The food was different. Crumbly and loose texture. Not like true meat. Now we are just nursing her back to health. Never again!

Freshpet response
Hi Lisa, So sorry to hear your fur baby was not well..We would like to learn more about your experience. Please give our Consumer Care line a call @

1-866-789-3737 Mon-Fri 9-4:30 EST. Hope your girl is feeling better.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have a nine year old Bloodhound that has allergies and have been for some time feeding her The Vital Freshpet Beef & Bison 5 LB. Grain Free rolls. The other rolls do not specify "Grain Free" and contain a lot of water. Recently Freshpet changed the labeling along with the recipe. Before they changed the product I would cut into the roll and it would be very meaty unlike the other rolls which contained way too much water (another reason I did not purchase). Now, when I cut into the new rolls water squirts all over the place which never happened before and the consistency is not the same. They now fill the package with so much water it is definitely not the same product.

I did call and email Feshpet and got the typical corporate response and it is not the fault of where I purchased. I tried two definitely sellers. Corporate states they have not changed the recipe which I highly disagree. In my opinion the only reason for the packaging change was to change the recipe. Adding more water and less meat makes the weight the same, but less quality.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I cannot complain about the food itself. My dog loves it. When I started buying Freshpet for him he loved it and still does. However, as someone who lives on SS (poverty level) I had ask for help from them for coupons and explained my situation to them in a DM on Twitter. They were very gracious to send me a coupon for $6.99 and 2 for $2.00. This was very helpful as I am buying 4 - 6# rolls per month for my dog. Things have been difficult for us and I again requested help with coupons and got one for $1.00. It was not only insulting to me as a great customer but will not help me to continue feeding my dog their product. I have decided it would be better for us financially to start cooking his meals and not purchase again.

I'm truly very sad about our plight in not being able to continue being a great customer, but they need to rethink offering a little help for those of us that find ourselves in a position of financial weakness. I am elderly and unable to work, and I have never desired to be a charity case. But for goodness sake, if someone is humble enough to be honest about their situation, check it out, help them out. Enough said!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The bags are Freshpet roasted meals beef recipe. I was encouraged to try from my vet due to both dogs being senior. They are Yorkiepoos ages 12 & 8. We feed this at night. We normally use meatloaf style but went with cubed form. Both dogs have been vomiting. I went to get second bag and it is bloated, expiration date is May 1, 2019 14:26 L2. Going to try to take back to store but not sure I want the meatloaf style either. They did turn their noses up past two days but eating kibbles that is dry. Sorry about negative review but serve with care.

Freshpet response

Hi Kimberly, Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear this. Can you tell us the name and location of the store where you purchased this from? We appreciate you bringing this important mater to our attention and hope your pups are feeling better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a 13 yr old Pomchi. First I started out with the chicken rolls about a year ago. My dog loved the food. No complaints, but recently after a few bad batches that smelled funny and had a grey color she wouldn't eat it anymore so I threw them away, so I figured I would try again when I saw a new kind in the cooler. Switched to Freshpet small dog food in the bag. She loved the taste but by the 3rd day she has been very ill with horrible diarrhea. I don't know what's changed with the formula and what's in it that made her so sick but from now on I will be cooking her food for her, no more store bought dog food. Too many recalls... The food was purchased at Tops Market in Fredonia NY.

Freshpet response
Jane, sorry to hear about your experience with Freshpet Select Small Dog. We hope your dog is feeling better.
No products are released from our control until having undergone over 20 quality and safety tests. Our Quality Assurance Team would like to review the production and quality records for the bag of Freshpet Select Small Dog which you stated caused your dog to become ill. Please hold onto the product and give us a call in order to obtain additional information. Freshpet Select Small Dog is a different recipe compared to our slice n serve rolls. Sometimes a change in diet can cause digestive upsets.
We also would like to assure you Freshpet has never had a recall on any of our products. Looking forward to hearing from you shortly.

Freshpet Care Team

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I started purchasing this food for my dog who was having some skin reactions to regular dry kibble. When we started using FreshPet last year, everything was great. His skin started clearing up and he was devouring his food. So we continued feeding him meals. Over the past few couple months we've noticed the bag smelling sour the next day after opening. We get one good feeding out of the bag before we have to throw it away. Thankfully we only buy the small bag since hes a small dog, but it's becoming a waste. I love the food for my dog but wondering why it's going bad so quickly. I've tried the grain free, the Roasted meals, chicken, beef, buying from different stores, etc. And each time, it's still going sour. We securely close the bag each time and are wondering what we can do to keep it fresh. I really don't want to change food since my dog loves it so much.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Weenie dog is 10 months old and very thin. I have been giving her a very expensive dry food mixed with a little moist food and she just doesn't eat much at all. I decided to try the food in the roll for puppies and she loved it. I give her a thick slice twice a day cut up in little chunks. I feed her one chunk at a time to make sure she chews it and not just suck it up in 30 seconds. To keep it fresh I use my FoodSaver after every time I cut a slice off and store it back and take the air out to keep it fresh. So far so good.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I've been buying this food for year now and last week I got new bag and my dog had diarrhea really bad. I had to take him to emergency room. He always eat the same food and snacks. The only thing I can think of it was bad bag of Freshpet. I threw out the whole bag. Unfortunately he liked this food but I won't probably buy it again.

Freshpet response

Hello Sofya, you contacted us directly and we assisted with your concern. Please call us if we can help you in another way. Regards, Freshpet Care Team

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

After trying so many expensive foods our dog just got to where he would hardly eat. He was getting diarrhea from everything. Read about this. Thought we'd give it a try. He loves it! No more diarrhea! He plays and acts like his old self now. As long as he is happy and healthy he will continue to get it. He loves the treats too.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I never had trouble with my dog’s stomach until she started eating this food. She likes the taste and will usually clean her bowl, but some mornings she walks away and leaves most of the food in her bowl... Those are the days she vomits. The food smells spoiled! I threw a bag out the other day and purchased a new bag...it smelled spoiled too! I’m tired of my little teacup poodle vomiting... I’m not buying this food anymore!

Freshpet response

Hi Shay, Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear this. Can you tell us the name and size of the Freshpet recipe you are referring to? We would like to document and share this information with our Quality Assurance team. We appreciate you letting us know about this important issue. Hope your girl is feeling better.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma 3/2018. Her symptoms began as a sudden inability to eat. I learned the next day that she had lymphoma. Vet gave her one month to live, two at most. That when I found about Freshpet. I had initially used the rolls. But, more than TEN months later, I have used the recipe meals. There is something different. Something. She becomes bloated and can't get enough water. I would like to know the nutritional statistics for the different foods.

Freshpet response

Hi Joni, Thanks for reaching out to us. We also received your email and have replied back to you with the requested information. Please see the message below that was emailed to you. Hope the information is helpful.

We're so happy to hear that our food made such a difference to your dog. It's stories like yours that really exemplify why we do what we do here at Freshpet. We'll be sure to pass your message along to the rest of the team, too! Yes, there is a bit more sodium in our Freshpet Select Roasted Meals. There is 0.39% as fed and 0.91% dry matter basis, whereas our Freshpet Select Chicken, Vegetable & Rice Recipe has 0.18% as fed and 0.67% dry matter basis.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I don't understand so many complaints? I started using this 2 years ago for our miniature schnauzer who has Cushing Disease. She loves it! Then a year ago we adopted a bichon king cavalier mix. She really loves it!!! She has MVD and a heart murmur. She was thin but now she is fine! I read up on both problems before feeding. I go to the same store every time. With my feeding each dog 1 cup 2x day, the small bag lasts about 2 days. No problems with odor. It is expensive but my fur babies are worth it. The only problem I have is that the m.s. doesn't gobble it up like the other one. I think she wants it warmer? They both are 12. Thank you Freshpet.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have bought Freshpet food for several years, however, we are looking for a new dog food. I keep getting spoiled bags of food, even after switching to THREE different vendors. Freshpet accused our local grocer of having a bad cooler, however, I find it absurd to think that THREE vendors have bad coolers. Even though our fur baby LOVES this food, I’m afraid it making her sick from becoming spoiled so quickly. Something is not right with this food.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am a health conscious person and the 2 ingredients in Freshpet that I don't like are Carrageenan and natural flavors. Science proves that Carrageenan is Carcinogenic to humans and animals. This is the 8th ingredient on the list of ingredients. Natural flavors is a cover up for "other" ingredients that the manufacturer doesn't want you to know about. READ LABELS, understand what you are feeding your pet. Do your research. I tried this product for my two felines and they do like it. I have not had any issues in the last month with mold, smell or spoiling. My cats are 14 years old and quite healthy. I don't think I will continue with Freshpet food because of the two ingredients in them that I don't feel comfortable with.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Why I did not try this food sooner is beyond me! I have a foster dog recently diagnosed with untreatable cancer so keeping weight on her is important. She is a picky eater so I have to change up food every few days. Day 5 and she is still inhaling Freshpet! Her “food coma” photos are included. lol

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I discovered Freshpet last fall and have been buying both the rolls and bags as my chihuahuas love them, however, when I purchased in December in several different stores they did not last after I first opened the bag and my dogs ended up getting diarrhea and refused to eat any more of the food. I had to throw away both bag and roll on 2 separate occasions and am very disappointed as these are not cheap and I expected them to last the 7 days after opening.

I just purchased 5 days ago 2 small beef bags with an expiration date of April 2019 and have not even opened them and they are now full air which means they are probably contaminated and will not last once opened. I am going to see if I can take them back to the store I bought it from for an exchange to hopefully get a later expiration date. I am not sure if there is a recall but after reading several of these reviews there seems to be similar issues. I hope going forward I can get the same quality as I used to get otherwise I will have to find another pet food to buy.

Freshpet Company Information