2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.12/5

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Resolution response: May 13, 2020

I was able to call and speak with the Freshpet team who were very empathetic and helpful. I still don't feel 100% comfortable getting my dog back onto the food until he's feeling better with a bland diet, but they talked to me about their quality standards and I definitely feel confident that they do everything they can to keep our pets safe. They even mentioned that they're going to have a member of their veterinary team call me to talk through some things I can do to help ease his stomach in the meantime. I'm going to give his stomach some time and try the food again some time in the near future.

Original review: May 11, 2020

My dog has been eating the Select home cooked chicken recipe for years now. The last two 4.5 lb bags I bought have made him very sick within hours and I’ve had to throw them away. Vomiting and diarrhea for multiple days, very loud digestive sounds. He has never had a problem on this food before so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’ve been googling around to see if there was a recall but I haven’t found anything. Please be careful. Freshpet, please investigate your Freshpet Select Home Cooked Chicken Recipe shipment for issues with a batch set to expire in September of 2020. Something definitely isn’t right with it. I bought both bags of the food that made him sick at the Publix in Longwood Florida. The address is 2381 W State Rd 434, Longwood, FL 32779.

Freshpet response

Hello Terrence, we are sorry to hear about your experience and hope your dog is feeling better. Freshpet never had a recall on any of our recipes. Please give us call at 866-789-3737 between 9 AM and 4:30 PM EST in order to discuss things further. Regards, the Freshpet Care Team

Original review: April 25, 2020

We've fed Freshpet to our Chihuahua for months now and there was never a problem. Last week she vomited for days after eating it. We bought it at the PetCo in Morgan Hill CA. The vet checked her out and could find nothing wrong. She was on a bland diet for a few days and now she's back on freshpet. She vomited again yesterday. We didn't hear anything about a recall. We threw the food out because there might be something wrong with it.

Freshpet response

Hello Christine, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We hope your dog is feeling better. Please contact us at 866-789-3737. We would like to gather additional information. Let me assure you Freshpet never had a recall on any of our products. Regards, the Freshpet Care Team

Original review: April 22, 2020

I was excited to feed my dog something fresh after multiple failed attempts to make my own homemade dog food and came across Fresh Pet at my local pet store. I took 2 big sausages of their Vital Turkey flavor home but my dog stopped eating it after a couple of meals. I found the ingredients are very processed for a "fresh" food, not much better than canned dog food really. Now I'm back to making my own pet food using kits and supplements. Trying out a small company that's making a homemade DIY kit **.

Freshpet response

Hello Gemma, we are sorry you had a disappointing experience using Vital. All Freshpet recipes are made from all natural, fresh ingredients and no preservatives. We will reach out privately to obtain additional information. Regards, the Freshpet Care Team

Original review: March 24, 2020

We live in Northern Alberta where good quality food is especially important for our dog, Quinn, to be able to handle the cold weather. Although we do not have a supplier of FreshPet in close proximity, she absolutely loves FreshPet treats and product whenever we are able to pick it up. FreshPet goes beyond providing excellent dog food and treats, but they have a fantastic customer service department. They are ready to answer any questions you have. We would without hesitation recommend FreshPet products to all of our fellow dog-parents.

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Kaitlin! The pictures you sent us of your crazy girl are just beautiful! We wish you guys all the best and stay well. Kind regards, Angela

Original review: March 20, 2020

They are kindly sending my dog Tate and I some dog food coupons. Of course I told my dog Tate in an excited voice so he got very very excited. Plus he loves to eat and dog food is expensive these days so this is good for us both.

Freshpet response

Hello there Esmeralda and Tate! We certainly appreciate your kind words! We wish you all the best and stay well! Kind regards, Angela

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: March 19, 2020

Coupon savings. Every little bit helps when you only have one income. We keep Blue Buffalo dry food in their bowl when they ‘want a snack’ but their primary meals are FreshPet Tender Chicken. We purchase the 6 lb roll and I dice it up so it’s convenient to feed them. They know when they hear that ziplock bag....it’s time to eat. Thank you.

Freshpet response

We're so happy to hear that your dog is loving our Freshpet Tender Chicken Recipe, Rachel! And thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Wishing you and your pup all the best!

Original review: March 3, 2020

Our dogs love Freshpet food! Thank you so much for the coupons you will be sending, such a great company! We have to watch what we fed one of our dogs and she loves it so much! Great Quality food for a great price.

Freshpet response

Hi Heather! We are happy your dogs enjoys Freshpet. Thank you for the kind words. Have a nice day! Freshpet Care Team

Original review: March 1, 2020

I’ve noticed since she’s on Freshpet, beef she scans the floor for morsels. Her poo IS VERY perky, she strains to get it out. She has plenty of water. Carrageenan isn’t one of my favorite fillers that I discovered, after she got hooked on it. So I’ll be shopping for another moist dog food, without CARRAGEENAN in it.

Freshpet response

Thanks for reaching out. We're happy to hear your dog enjoys our foods and we absolutely understand your initial concerns about carrageenan as there's been a lot of chatter around the ingredient. We use undegraded carrageenan at low levels, not to be confused with degraded carrageenan, in some of our foods to help maintain the form and texture. Carrageenan has been found safe for use in both human and pet food. Based on the information presented by food safety and toxicology experts, we know it is a safe ingredient at the levels we are using it. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Our 9 year old collie “Skip” has always been a picky eater, but about a month ago he stopped eating. Took him to the veterinarian and she ran all sorts of tests and determined he had a sludgy gallbladder. We tried everything to get him to eat and what he did eat he couldn’t keep down. Well he’s been on Freshpet for over a week now and not only does he eat better than ever before, he’s keeping it down and gaining weight back. What a great product. It may have given him a second chance.

Freshpet response

Wow Chris, we are thrilled you feel Freshpet is helping Skip. All of us here hope he continues to feel better and gain weight. Keep us posted. Consumer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have a five-year-old West Highland Terrier who has a sensitive stomach and has always had trouble putting on weight. I have tried somewhere between six and eight brands of dog food in addition to calorie supplements and extra treats in order to get him to gain weight. Some of these foods were extremely expensive. I’ve tried everything from prescription food to several brands in the pet store. Recently we switched him to FreshPet Vital Grain Free. Prior to the switch he would walk past his food bowl ignoring it until the point of absolute hunger after the first or second week on a new food.

Now that we’ve switched him to FreshPet for the last several weeks he not only inhales his food but follows us around at meal time making pleading noises to move just a little bit faster while pushing us in the direction of his bowl with his nose. I’ve never seen him happier after meals. This newfound gusto for mealtime makes everyone happy. There’s no greater joy than watching our most beloved family member grow and be happy. Thank you FreshPet for making a quality product that pets are sure to love!

Freshpet response

Thank you for the kind words, Amanda! We are so happy to hear that your pup is thriving on our Freshpet Vital recipes. Wishing you and your four-pawed crew all the best!

Freshpet Company Information