2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Alpo Dog Food Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Alpo Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

On day two of feeding this food to my dog she was acting weird. She was barely pooping, lethargic, off balance, and scared. She was shaking and not being herself AT ALL. After looking up this dog food it has also killed dogs. NEVER BUY THIS DOG FOOD!!

Original review: July 29, 2020

My loving pit bull Mary Jane ate Alpo Prime Cuts and could not breath, gasping for air, not first time this happened, thank God I figured it was the alpo prime cuts doing this to her. How can this be allowed? We love our animals as a family member and the law looks at dogs with human laws in affect for the dog. Please stop this company from killing our precious family member, our dogs.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Bought a case of Alpo Prime Cuts canned food. My dog has never had any digestive issues. Within a day she had severe diabetes with blood in stool. She vomited twice, which had never happened before. Returned the rest of cans to Sam’s club. She is fine now on Blue Mountain Food.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I began feeding Alpo canned Prime Cuts and Chop House to my healthy Chihuahua because he needed soft food for his teeth. Within a month-he had become so ill he died. Vomiting, bloody diarrhea, lethargy. He couldn't even hold down water. He spent 3 days at my vets and he did all he could to save him but it was too late. He said he was poisoned-now mind you I have 3 other dogs and none of them got sick-and none of them ate this food! I am convinced it was this food that killed him. So please-do not ever feed this junk to your animals.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I almost lost my dog because of Alpo Dog Food. I decided to switch up my dog's treats so I bought him some alpo dog treats. Within the next 3 days my dog kept having bloody diarrhea everywhere! He was losing his energy and he started to slow down drastically. I could not figure out what was wrong with him. Then he started having seizures. They started off mild and then got really bad towards the end of the week. I was devastated because I thought my dog was going to die! He got so weak and lethargic. He got so sick so fast that I knew it had to be something I was giving him since he wasn't like this before.

I did research on the dog treats and discovered this page and other pages that shared how harmful this dog food is. I stopped giving Him the dog treats and his seizures stopped 2 days later. I've spent about 500$ taking to him to the vet to help him recover. He's on antibiotics now and he's recovering slowly but that food did a lot of damage to his health! This dog food should be illegal!!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My 7 month old pup got really sick a few weeks ago. Didn't know what was wrong with him. He was very lethargic, wasn't moving, sleeping all the time, throwing up, diarhea with slime in it. I took him to the vet, cost me 1500 dollars and we still didn't know what was wrong so the vet put my pup on antibiotics. He was doing great on the antibiotics. He just finished his antibiotics yesterday and that's when I started feeding him his Alpo dry dog food again. About 2 hours after he ate he became very very ill, becoming lethargic just sleeping. He can barely walk now. High high fever. My pup looks like he's dying right now. Now I know it's the dog food causing this! How on earth can you sell dog food that makes puppies sick like this. I need to go back into the vet first thing in the morning. Now that I know it's that alpo dog food causing this and see if I can save my puppy's life! NEVER EVER BUY THIS ALPO DOG FOOD!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Got a bag of Purina ALPO Prime Cuts® Dry Dog Food a week ago for our 4 dogs. In a week, 2, 6 month old healthy dogs past away with 48 hours of vomiting and diarrhea with blood and yellow foam, shakes fevers, lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink. Not even IV fluids saved them. Now our 12 year old male is showing the same signs. All we can do is hive IV fluids and pray. Only dog not showing signs yet is our 4 year old female that only took a couple bits then turned away. Never thought it might be the food until I looked more into it. Now right before Christmas our family has lost our loved puppies, scared for our other 2 and can't do anything but pray.. How can they keep selling this when it has been known to kill our family members. Something needs to be done.. And, it needs done, asap. We are adults and losing our pets feel like a whole in my heart. My kids really don't, know how to seal, with this.. Stop hurting families..

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

About a week and a half ago my husband's cousin's healthy dog died. She was not sick but she died and her owner didn't know why she died, he had no use for the dog food so he gave it to my husband for our healthy German Shepherd. She had been fed this Alpo Prime dog food about two or three cans for a couple day. She had been coughing and had not been her usual self on November 30 then I noticed blood on her chin but thought she had cut it on something so later I checked on her and she had coughed up more blood with phlegm in with the blood.

She was wheezing and coughing but never noticed if she had diarrhea or blood in it. When we went to bed that night she was still alive but early that morning my husband heard her faint bark. She passed away early Sunday morning December 1st... I have cried all day. I knew that is what killed her and my husband's cousin's healthy dog both within a week and a half. My husband thinks someone poisoned her and his cousin's dog. Still not for sure until I was researching and found this site. Why are they still allowed to sell this poison dog food ... Our hearts are hurting.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I bought a bag of Alpo dry dog food my dog ate his second bowl last night and is now lethargic vomiting and having diarrhea leaking out everywhere. He still drinking water though thank God. I'm going to feed him boiled chicken and white rice later and if he isn't better tomorrow I'll take him to the vet. After reading all these reviews I'm left wondering how they are getting away with this.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Our dog has been eating Alpo Prime Cuts & she developed horrible itching all over her body. She sat & scratched all day & night. When I switched her to a hamburger that I cooked & applied Burt's Bees for dogs spray for itching, she began to improve. I also used Bath & Body Eucalyptus Spearmint lotion on her. She is feeling better now. I would not use Alpo again - read the ingredients, they are terrible!

Alpo Dog Food Company Information