Alpo Dog Food
1.28/5
Based on 203 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Alpo Dog Food

225 Alpo Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 26, 2018

I recently bought my dog some Alpo Snaps. I usually buy her milk bones but thought I'd switch it up for something different. I have a 10 year old Min Pin/Chihuahua mix. She is about 15 pounds. At first she loved the treats but then the second day she seemed to not really want them but she eventually ate them. The third day she didn't want to eat at all. For two days she hasn't wanted to eat. Her tummy started gurgling and she had really bad gas. I thought maybe it was because I switched her treats. Then in the middle of the night last night she was vomiting and had diarrhea that was mucusy and bloody. Then this morning she seemed kind of shaky and dopey.

I had my boyfriend stay with her all day when I went to work because I was so scared for her. She ended up vomiting one more time and had several more diarrhea episodes. Tonight she finally seems to be getting back to herself. She still seems very sleepy but I made her some rice and she ate it right up. I threw out all the treats I bought and will never buy them again. I think I may just start making my own dog treats so I know what's in them. My pup is my life and I feel so horrible knowing that I made her sick by giving her these treats. I will never ever recommend this brand to anyone. I say stay far far away from Alpo products of any kind.

Original review: July 23, 2018

On July 23rd 2018 Curley DIED!! Our beloved family pet who was young and healthy 48 hours ago is now dead. Thousands of other dogs have died in the last number of years and this sick company continues to sell the products. What type of low life disgusting vile piss poor excuse for a person can put money above the lives of innocent animals and hurting thousands of people? These are the type of people that ensure that hell is filled from wall to wall.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have had a dog or dogs for my entire life and through the years I have tried quite a few different brands, from very high end to ultra cheap. I have found that it doesn't matter what flavor, shape, contents or price, if the dog doesn't like it they will wait a long time before eating but then only a few bites. The Alpo dry food has decent ingredients, every dog I've had ate and seems that they liked it.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Fed my dog ALPO, now he has diarrhea and throwing up for two days? I didn't realized the dog food and treats were making him sick. Just got him somewhat settled today with home cooking, this evening gave him Chop House and Snaps, his stomach is sickly gurgling and breathing heavily again. He recently got over the Smuckers Kibble N Bits and Gravy Train tainted dog food sickness a few weeks ago. I'm tired of the of irresponsibility of companies importing poisoned dog food.

Mainstream media doesn't cover all the thousands of dogs that have died in recent years from poisoned dog food from China, a country that still beats dogs and skins them alive. I hate them and I think about it everytime I have to buy any product from that country. My dog has been sick several times over the last 4 years from other brands as well, all from tainted pet food and treats. ALPO is another brand off my list and any other product associated with that company. I will contact ALPO tomorrow, but I doubt if it will do any good.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Last week my blue pit and wolf mix Flokie started acting strange. Wouldn't bark or play with his brother Zeus. He started bleeding out. The next day I buried him. Zeus died two days later. Symptoms to death about three days. All from Alpo dry dog food from Walmart and Dollar General Mobile AL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Alpo Prime Cuts dry food makes my dog sick! I usually feed my dog Purina indoor dog chow. I tried to work in a little food with her old food to get her started with the change. I barely put ANY in my dog's previous food that doesn't make her sick at all... and she won't even, been sick all day having to go to the bathroom. I mean just a tiny SPRINKLE of this crap made her DOG sick. I can't imagine if I fed her a bowl full of it. It makes me scared thinking about it reading these reviews, and I'm still not exactly out of the water yet.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I did not know how bad Alpo can food is for your pet. We HAD a 3 year old golden retriever which we recently gave him Alpo can food. He died and we did not think it was coming from his food. He began not to eat or drink. Diarrhea lethargic. When we let him out of his pen his leg gave out on him. Before we could get him to vet he died. I will never buy ALPO AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Feed dog Alpo Prime Cuts Dry food. Caused bloody stool; lethargy, no interest in food or water; unsteady on feet, no interest in anyone or anything. Two days later only saving grace has been chicken and rice. Fortunately, dog in question is 130 lbs; had my 13 lb fur baby ate it (she flat out refused) she would have died. Needs to be recalled and discontinued immediately. Contacted company and advised them of same. DO NOT FEED YOUR PET ALPO!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have been feeding our 4 dogs Alpo Prime Cuts Dry Dog Food for a while now, but all of a sudden 3 of them starting losing hair, 2 have lost weight, and our Australian Shepherd seems to have trouble laying down and falls asleep standing up and falls over. After reading the reviews of this dog food, I am worried that we may be killing our dogs. These dogs are part of our family. They are Australian Shepherd, 2 mutts, and a Shih Tzu. I worry that the dry food may also contain poison. I think Alpo needs to check all of their products and make sure they are safe for our animals. Pull it off the shelves until it’s known to be hazard free, there is definitely something going on. Their bowel movements are looser than normal, and they aren't eating like they should. Are you poisoning our dogs?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I just had a can of Alpo dog food explode when I started lifting the tab. Sound like a balloon popping. The lid flew across the room and it reeked of chemicals. Thankfully it wasn't pointed at my face! The chemical smell filled the room. No more Alpo for my fur baby! You can see from the image that I had barely began to open the lid.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Alpo is easy on my dog's digestion and is priced affordable. Due to us having 4 can 1 big dog it's cost is around $15 - $16.00. We purchase the larger bag.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My dog has loved the Alpo Dog Food for years. As soon as I crack the can she knows the flavor especially the beef stew. The price is very good at Walmart.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I started mixing Alpo canned dog food with our dog's dry food and shortly thereafter he began vomiting blood and pooping blood and had to be put down. Curious as to whether this was caused by Alpo canned food since I've been reading some very bad reviews with dogs that had same type symptoms.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Alpo prime cuts savory beef. I ran out of dog food so out of convenience went to the local store and that was the dog food they had so I decided one bag shouldn't hurt and was I wrong. I went home later that night and it made me sick. Boomer looked like a million bees stung him and all swollen and apparently it's happen to another ladies dog. I would recommend they stop producing food. The company has killed too many pets with its so-called food. All a person has to do is Google it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Purchased Alpo Purina from Dollar General on Battle Creek Rd Saturday. On Monday my Rottweiler wouldn't eat or drink. He was acting all weird and something was coming out of his behind. Tuesday my mini pinscher started acting the same way. Woke up this morning to my ten year old screaming and crying that her dog died. My Rottweiler still hanging in there but he's really ill and still won't eat. My husband swiped my debit card and I have that as my receipt. My husband stated cashier ran out of paper and his transaction will show on his statement.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Bought a bag of Tbonz treats and gave one to my dog. Not long after he became "sick as a dog", became lethargic and threw up everything in his stomach -- which looked mostly like chunks of the Tbonz treat. So I think either it was just my dog's sensitivity to ingredients (doubtful, as he has no history of food issues) or it was a bad batch of treats. Just curious if anyone else has seen this effect in their dogs after feeding them these particular treats. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I bought a bag of Alpo dog food from Dollar General in Merced California on Yosemite Parkway. A few days later my dogs passed away. Blood was pouring out of their rectum throwing up. We couldn't find anything else that could be wrong with them except for them eating the dog food. Only three of them ate it and the three that ate the food passed away. I threw the bag away not thinking being depressed and wondering what was wrong with my pet. One of my friends said to do a pet dog food recall and I did and it is the same symptoms that numerous other people have had. I am going to try to find my receipt.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Do not feed this ** to your fur babies. This crap is deadly. We just lost our 4 and a half year old Chihuahua to the can ground up Alpo. I will be contacting Alpo and let him know that they owe us for the life of our precious little boy.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I feed my current dogs Alpo and all of my past dogs Alpo and never had a problem. Their primary source is Diamonds dry and I put in a few fork fulls (I switch kinds throughout the week). Alpo has been around for 80 years. And yes they do use by-products but some by-products are actually good for our pets. I read this online but I wasn't sure so I checked with a board certified veterinarian and my own. And they both confirmed.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My standard poodle is 2 1/2 years old and has been eating Alpo most of her life. One day I decided to give her Pedigree for a change of pace and she got diarrhea and my sister told me not to change dog food so quickly on her. I started mixing Alpo with the Pedigree for about 5 days and she was on straight Pedigree I found her eating less and less. Found she did not like it... I went back to Alpo and have been with it since. I think that is the problem with a lot of people that have their dogs getting diarrhea is the quick change from one brand to another. Try mixing it with her old brand first. I have had no problems with her health from eating Alpo.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD!!! A couple of days ago I bought a 6 pack of Alpo Prime cuts: beef in gravy wet dog food for our female German Shepard. Her main diet is usually dry food, but once every couple of months my husband and I buy her wet food to mix things up a little. We have done this for years now and have never had any problems. I saw this brand in the store and thought it looked pretty good (first time buying it). The first night after she ate it she seemed okay. That morning we discovered she was very gassy and had thrown up. This is unusual behavior for her, but my husband and I just assumed maybe she simply ate too fast or was coming down with something.

This is currently night 2, she just ate another can about 4 hours ago. The excessive gas (I'm seriously talking every 5 minutes) is back, and now I feel so bad for putting my furbaby through this embarrassment and torture. I've taken her out a couple of times now and unfortunately she has been having diarrhea for the past couple of days... After looking online it says that excessive gas is caused by low quality ingredients that can't digest properly. PLEASE if you care about your dog do not feed them this food. We will never buy this dog food again. After reading the reviews I am amazed that this dog food is even allowed to be sold anywhere.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

When I was choosing what treats to buy my dogs, I always read their ingredients. And I notice that in the Purina Alpo you put chicken by-products & animal digest. That is just plain nasty to do something like that to dogs simply because they're animals and can't anything to help themselves. We as human beings find it nasty enough to put into our foods to eat so we don't so why do such an awful & nasty act to dogs? I've read your reviews of people's dogs getting sick after eating the Purina foods. And it's because of all the nastiness that goes into it! That's why I never did give my dogs this food!! Be mindful & have feelings for dogs!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

We purchased the Alpo Chop House for our picky eaters. We had been giving it for about three week. At first they ate it up but slowly ate less and less of it. Over the weekend the two older dogs were getting pretty sick. Monday morning were in the vets office. My 15 year old lab mix is in complete liver failure and outlook is not good, while the 9 year old wheaten terrier is vomiting blood and blood in the stool. Our 9 month old Shepard has bloody diarrhea. All of our dogs were healthy before we feed them Alpo. Even our 15 year old lab mix only had a little arthritis. I am heartbroken to say the least, my husband worked all week to pay a $459.00 vet bill that looks like we will making more trips to the vet before we are through this.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

My dog got diarrhea from eating Alpo Come and Get It classic cookout dog food. I went to the Family Dollar where I bought it. She said I need to send it back because they can't do anything since the expiration date is 2018. Also told me to call the number and they will send me a refund. I told her I didn't keep the receipt not knowing the dog food was going to give my dog diarrhea.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I had a litter of 5 Yorkies that were 6 weeks old on December 23, 2016. On that date I took all 5 puppies to the vet. All were given a clean bill of health. All of them got their 6 weeks shots and wormed. One of the puppies (the one that died) had a stool check to make sure there were no problems with bacteria and there were no problems detected. Up until that date the puppies had been nursing Mom, eating rice cereal, and once a day they had some Purina Moist and Meaty and Purina Puppy Chow. On Dec 23, 2016 all the puppies went to their new homes. All of the puppies continued on the above diet until December 29, 2016. One of the owners ran out of the food as described above. He went to the Dollar Store since it was closer to his home and he got the puppy some Alpo.

On Dec. 30, 2016 the puppy started vomiting and having loose stools. The owner took him to the vet. Vet said that puppy had a stomach infection and gave them an antibiotic and gave puppy some IV fluids. Jan.1, 2017 the puppy was so weak that he could not hold up his head, lost weight, loose stools and would not eat. He was rushed back to the vet. Our adorable baby passed away. I hope the big shots at Purina (makers of Alpo) can sleep at night knowing this because none of us can. I will tell everyone that I know to never feed their beloved pets Alpo. Thank God the other 4 babies are doing great.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Hi I am Flavio. I gave my dog a treat. And my dog is starting to have diarrhea. And my dog just got sick after when I gave my dog this treat that is called Purina Alpo Variety Snaps Little Bites. I will never buy this treat anymore. Thanks Alpo for giving my dog diarrhea.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I bought 3 cans of Alpo canned dog food. My dog has eaten the ground beef but I purchased a chopped sirloin flavor and has had a tablespoon for the last 3 mornings. She started to decrease the amount of the dry food on day 2, has diarrhea and no longer eating the dry food. I am now fixing a diet of rice water, boiled chicken. I am hopefully optimistic that I have caught this in time. No longer will I purchase any Alpo product. I had a similar situation years ago with the same dog when Mighty Dog caused her to have bloody stools and many pets succumbed to eating tainted dog food.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

We have 6 dogs that ate some Alpo canned dog food, for the first time ever (thank goodness we only had a couple of cans) and last Thursday and Saturday afternoon one of the dogs was vomiting and had a bloody stool. Her breathing was labored and she was drooling. We rushed her to the vet Saturday night and it turned out she had pancreatitis. She was a normal, healthy dog with no previous stomach or pancreas issues until Saturday. All 4 of my Yorkies have also had diarrhea since then too though none of them were as sick as the Schnauzer. As this was a one time purchase I never thought to read up on the product as I did use it many, many years ago, but after reading up on pancreatitis as well as the other dogs being sick at the same time, I decided to investigate.

My dog is home today after a 4 night stay at the vet clinic and seems to be doing ok but after reading these reviews I am now convinced that eating that Alpo is what made them all sick. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories so people will know that Alpo seems to be at the bottom of this horrible issue and this many stories just like mine are just too compelling to ignore. I would NEVER buy Alpo again in any form.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Our Rottweiler became lethargic with vomiting and diarrhea after eating a can of Alpo wet dog food late last week. He passed away about two hours ago. This food should not be kept on shelves anywhere! After reading other reviews on this site, I can't believe Alpo hasn't done something about it! Shame on them for not pulling this poison from their line of horrible products!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

I purchased a 15 lb bag of Alpo Prime Cuts dry dog food. At first my dog ate it and seemed happy. The last few days my dog didn't want to eat the food. Today, my dog did not eat but drank water and immediately vomited. He seemed very tired and listless. When I came back home this afternoon, my dog was dead. He appeared peaceful, but he had not had any illness in 12 years, and the only thing that has changed was this new food. After reading the reviews I believe my beautiful dog was also poisoned by this product.

Not sure about Alpo Dog Food?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Dog Food for you.

Alpo Dog Food Company Information

Alpo Pet Foods
    www.alpo.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business