Alpo Dog Food
1.30/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Alpo Dog Food

Looking for a good dog food brand?

243 Alpo Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Vomiting stomach pain lethargy by my black lab after eating 1/4. I have had to put my lab on chicken and rice feedings. If she continues to be ill Monday I will need to take her to a vet. I gave 3 cans of Alpo left which I will not use. Any brand of Alpo is restricted from my house.

Original review: June 26, 2019

There is mold inside of the canned Chop House dog food made by Alpo. Our dogs have been ill with a cough that causes them both to regurgitate a foaming substance for a few months. Although they never visited a kennel it is similar to kennel cough although all antibiotics used to treat kennel cough have not been effective. Today I opened a can of Alpo Chop House food only to find a large amount of black furry mold inside. I will be pursuing a claim as my pets have suffered immensely due to the lack of quality provided by Purina with their Alpo Chop House brand. We are now starting a chicken and rice feeding plan in hopes that our dogs health will improve. I suggest no one purchases Chop House for their pets as it is toxic. I will enclose a photo of the mold. Purina acknowledged the mold and we are currently pursuing reimbursement for the veterinary bills paid to treat our dogs as well as sending the can in for analysis.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I needed to cover my dog's allergy pills up so she would take them and I thought the gravy from prime cut canned dog food would help. Thursday I gave her a half can then Friday morning another half and Friday night dinner another half. Then she peed twice in the house which she never does. By Saturday she would not eat or hardly get up by 11:30 we were at the vets. She was really dehydrated and by Sunday she could hardly walk and she was admitted to the vet hospital and by Sunday she was not hardly breathing and then Monday we said goodbye to her!! I am broken and hurt!!! and l know beyond a shadow of doubt... that Alpo prime cuts... canned dog food killed my baby!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have a small dog that weighs less than 4 lbs. Her name is Tony Dog, and she loves her wet dog food. She is very picky. When the can is opened you see a thick gravy and bite size chunks of a meaty type of food. Also is her choice for food.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I bought my girl Alpo Prime Cuts 2 days ago, and after she eats, will throw up 15-30 min later. She felt rotten today, and was lethargic & feverish. I bought a bag of Dog Chow today, and she has eaten twice, and no vomit! Alpo needs to investigate this immediately! After my experience & all the similar stories, something needs to be done!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have 4 dogs, a female American Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull mix, a female Mountain Feist, now 11 years old, a male Toy Poodle, and a male blonde Chihuahua and they all like this food. I tried changing them to Walmart's Ol' Roy brand once when Walmart was out of stock on Alpo Come & Get It! and every one of them got diarrhea from eating the Ol' Roy brand. I used to buy Ol' Roy when it was multi-colored like the Alpo is, but Walmart changed the food to the kind with all medium-brown colored food without telling anyone and it tore their stomachs up! I avoid the solid medium-brown colored dry dog food like the plague!

They never have any issued eating the multi-colored dry food like Alpo Come & Get It! brand so I'm sticking with it. Also, all 4 of my dogs are as healthy as a horse with nice shiny coats and lots of energy. I would highly recommend it to anyone who feeds dry dog food to their dogs and for the price you can't beat the very reasonable price. I pay only $7.64 + tax for a 14 lb bag and can get a 41 lb bag for only $18.98 + tax. You can't beat the price or the value!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Alpo one of the 1st ever dog foods created. Proven trust for the dog owner. If you want reliability go with a company that has been around since the creation of dog. Because before the 1940s there was no such thing as dog food.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I opened a can of Alpo Prime Cuts and there was some kind of funky growth in it. Looked disgusting. It's now in the trash can. Will never feed it again. Back to Pedigree! No excuse for this if the company has guidelines and really cares about its product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We bought a 12 pack of ALPO DOG food during a snowstorm, off eBay for around $9 free shipping. Within a couple days of eating this canned dog food, our dog started coughing, like something was stuck in her throat. For 4 days she would not eat anything else, maybe a few bites of chicken that she also vomited up along with lots of yellow bio. She kept pushing the food away. She could hardly walk on the 3rd night, which we again had a huge snowstorm so getting here anywhere was about impossible. 5:30 am on the fourth day her breathing was so heavy and labored within half of hour of me being awake. I had massaged her, her body became stiff as if her organs were shutting down and she went in and out of it a few times then faded off. Before this our dog was healthy, she had a little arthritis in her back legs but showed no signs of death knocking on her door. Our family is devastated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We purchased Alpo Cookout Classics on Saturday; my dog cries, sleeps, yellow fizzy vomit and general lethargy. Stopped the food today. Not sure what to try next but not Alpo. My immediate thought was that the new bag of food had issues. This site is documenting similar illness. Please do not purchase this food if you love your dog.

Alpo Dog Food Company Information