Alpo Dog Food

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our Rottweiler became lethargic with vomiting and diarrhea after eating a can of Alpo wet dog food late last week. He passed away about two hours ago. This food should not be kept on shelves anywhere! After reading other reviews on this site, I can't believe Alpo hasn't done something about it! Shame on them for not pulling this poison from their line of horrible products!

I purchased a 15 lb bag of Alpo Prime Cuts dry dog food. At first my dog ate it and seemed happy. The last few days my dog didn't want to eat the food. Today, my dog did not eat but drank water and immediately vomited. He seemed very tired and listless. When I came back home this afternoon, my dog was dead. He appeared peaceful, but he had not had any illness in 12 years, and the only thing that has changed was this new food. After reading the reviews I believe my beautiful dog was also poisoned by this product.

My brother and I are roommates and own a shih-tzu. We always buy Beneful which he loves. Well we were out of food and had no other store open but the corner store and all they sold were cans of Alpo. Well for the two days since our dog has had bloody stool, profusely puking, shaking. Off to the vet and after reading other almost identical reviews, I will be sending Alpo companies the vet bill. Since they CONTINUE selling this crap knowing how sick it making dogs. Even killing them. (after speaking with a neighbor I learned her dog died from it. Yes proven the Alpo did kill their dog.) SHAME on them to keep selling it. You would think they like animals seeing how they make animal food. Obviously not. To Alpo keep your eyes open for a vet bill and possibly getting me a new dog pending the outcome! DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD IF YOU LOVE YOUR ANIMAL! Wish I talked to my neighbor first.

I bought this food for my Golden Retriever yesterday at the local food lion ten cans for $7.50 and he been vomiting all night and having diarrhea. I never thought that a company would leave a food on the market that will harm an animal. I will take the other 9 cans back to food lion. I hope this food is out of his system and doesn't kill my dog. My dog never get sick until now. I do not recommend this product for no animal.

We bought this brand about 6 weeks ago. My biggest dog, Houdini (he's 9 years old), ate it consistently for about a week then started tapering off. For about 4 weeks after initially purchasing the food, he started refusing it altogether, so I started supplementing the food with boiled chicken and rice. Earlier this week, he stopped eating all food. We took him to the vet this morning, and he was diagnosed with renal failure and isn't expected to make it. He has been lethargic, has lost weight, is drooling, has been throwing up stomach bile, has loose stool, is dehydrated, and is an all-around sad thing to see. I'm furious. I'm furious that this food has been kept on the shelves despite all of the negative reviews. I'm furious that I did not read them sooner. And I'm furious that my sweet guy is suffering. Something needs to be done!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Our otherwise healthy Australian Shepherd has had increasingly bloody stools for the past week-and-a-half -- since we first gave her Alpo Prime Cuts dry food. She is lethargic and not acting like herself at all. The sudden change of health and behavior can only be traced to this food. After reading that others have had similar complaints--and some with worse outcomes--I'm amazed that this can continue. Buyer, beware. This is NOT a quality product for your pet!

I started to feed my doxies Alpo canned dog food for about 3 weeks. Within those weeks I have lost both my dogs. They were in good health and lost them both within a week apart. We are lost for words. So if you love your babies please don't feed them the canned food.

My dog vomited about 15 minutes after eating this junk Filet Mignon Cuts with Bacon and he has never ever vomited with other brands. He appears weak.. Will be keeping a close eye on him. Please do not buy this brand. It's cheap priced so I even wonder what this company puts in their food processing. Upset and disgusted with Alpo.

Been feeding a large male, 8-yr old GS Dog (Mister von Bear) this dog food (mentioned in the title) over the last few months. I haven't used this brand before. Noticed he was rejecting the food more and more over the past few weeks but thought it was due to summer heat, so just kept an eye on him while hoping he gets better as summer turns to fall. He's also been losing a lot of weight (and will know more precisely tomorrow when I take him to the vet). I set the appointment this morning. It's been getting cooler, but the dog's been getting worse.

Last week I experimented by buying some canned dog food and gave him that. He gobbled it up like he was starving to death, so I ruled out the heat. Must be the Alpo -- period. Other symptoms are he heaves heavily and has trouble breathing during and after eating the Alpo. Those effects go away after a few hours. Other symptoms within the last few days are excessive drooling, and a sagging left lip and sagging left ear. So, not being a vet myself, and in an amateurish sort of way, I'm imagining that affected fluid in his mouth and throat travels up through his Eustachian tube and into his inner ear and causes problems there, and that may cause nerve damage anywhere along that path which affects his lip, and may also cause a sagging lip and excessive drooling. Then the mess that he swallows goes to his stomach then eventually to his liver, and from there it goes everywhere through the blood.

Where I live it doesn't rain at all during the summer. It's bone dry. And this is the type of weather that has existed throughout this whole time. Furthermore, after I open a bag of dog food it is poured from its bag into a metal container having a metal lid, and the emptied bag is stored in another sealed metal container. And those metal containers are contained in a rain-free outbuilding where no other food is stored. That environment serves to prevent entry by rodents of all kinds. In fact, I've never seen so much as a beetle or spider inside those storage cans. I have however on rare occasions seen clumps of dry dog food in the original product bag and those clumps had a greenish mold color, indicating that at some time before I purchased the bag, it was exposed to water.

That doesn't have to happen at the manufacturer. That introduction of mold could happen anywhere along the path from the manufacturer to the final location on the shelf within the retailer's store. The places where I buy dog food all have garden supplies and plants, and therefore potential exposure to water. I can imagine dog food on pallets temporarily stored in places at those stores where the bags can be exposed to water. Eventually those wet bags are moved into the store and all is forgotten. I'm taking a sample of the food to the vet with the hope that she will forward it to a lab where it can be tested. If it has mold, I will notify the manufacturer in addition to the retail outlet. In fact, I've already notified the manufacturer of the problem.

Bought 10 cans of dog 0 Alpo chop house t-bone & rib eye steak flavor dog food bar code 0 11132 16937 4 Best By: JUL JUL2018 61831157 L8A82099. I called Purina today & talked with Nicole that was polite & took down the info & said she would send me coupons & my money but I am concerned about getting these cans pulled out of the stores & the facility in Allentown inspected. Reading your site purina has a problems. I'm concerned with the animals not coupons nor money. I have 4 dogs & 2 cats & 57 chickens. Somebody needs to speak for all of the animals. They are innocent.

This has killed 4 of my babies within 1 week. I trusted also to take care of my babies but now I can't hold them for which they have passed. I have this to my babies for 3-4 years and never in a million years I would thank this. Could kill them. When I keep calling the company they just give me runarounds and I even had the food sent in to have it checked. I wish I would have never gave my babies this food. I love them as much as my children. I can't believe they are gone. Your company don't even deserve 1 star. I will fight this until the end. I am sick of the runarounds. Anyone in your right mind please please please don't feed your babies this. If you truly love your babies please don't. I don't want you to go throw what I had too. I lost 4 babies and now there is a big hole in my heart. Fly high mom's babies.

My friend's 7 year old chihuahua suddenly had liver failure for no apparent reason (she died). We were looking at the ingredients in her food and treats. Alpo variety snacks had garlic powder in them. Now, I'm not saying that it killed her, but what is garlic doing in a dog treat?

I started giving my dog Alpo chop house and she started to get some of the symptoms others have listed. Stopped eating, wouldn't move a lot, etc... Thankfully I googled Alpo reviews and read all these complaints. I put her on Taste of the Wild and she seems better.

One or both of my dogs threw up twice. Blood was in the vomit. The biggest dog (an Akita) had diarrhea. The same color (orange) as some of the bits of food contained in her dry dog food, Alpo Prime Cuts. I also have been giving my dogs 3 or 4 treats a day called TBonz by Alpo. I am now feeding them boiled chicken and rice and they seem to be ok. No more vomiting. I did not buy this dog food/treats because it was cheap, but because my dogs loved them! Wish I had seen this website first. Now I have to find a dog food they will eat.

I like Alpo prime cuts for my dogs. I have 2 English bulldogs, 1 rottweiler and 1 pitbull... I think the price is adorable and my dogs seem to enjoy it.

I gave both my dogs the treats (cut into small pieces) during a training session, night before last. Yesterday morning, my 14 month old Yorkie vomited up her entire breakfast with the undigested pieces of the treat throughout. By the time I returned home in the afternoon. She had vomited again (same thing), plus had diarrhea! My greedy Lab puppy wouldn't eat her dinner and had a very soft stool. It was crazy as they both received a clean bill of health on this past Saturday! Later, My Yorkie now has a bloody stool and my lab is vomiting bile! It has to be the treats. Neither of them have ever been sick. I only purchased them so they would be more anxious than they are with their "healthy" treats for training sessions. I'll submit my receipt when I return home.

I purchased my dog Purina Alpo on Sunday. His first feeding was Monday and by Tuesday after two feedings, he was vomiting almost the entire night. Now my dog is a healthy dog so I immediately knew something wasn't right. And since the only thing that has changed recently was his dog food, because I normally purchase Purina Dog Chow, I instantly knew what the problem was. I only purchased it because it was a brand by Purina, but never again, so glad I looked up the food and located this site. This food should not be in stores or sold anywhere else.

A friend of mine just had 2 Chihuahuas die within 3 days after feeding them canned Alpo (ground, not sliced). Remaining cans are being taken back to the store but wanted to mention these deaths in case it is not just coincidence and the food is actually contaminated.

I tried this for my dogs about 4 days ago... both dogs had bloody diarrhea, vomiting and my 6 lb poodle had seizures... wouldn't eat or drink (thank God) and now I am reading all these reviews!!! Thanks Alpo for trying to kill my dogs!!! My poodle still can't stand up straight without hurting!

Hello. I'm from Waynesboro and I started feeding my two year old chihuahua Alpo dog food and it made him very sick to the point where he wouldn't eat or drink and clots of blood was coming out of his anus. I had to take him to the vet to be checked out and come to find out the Alpo dog food had infected his intestine with poison and caused him to do all the bleeding. So to those who feed this dog food to their fur babies take them off if it before it kills your fur babies because the vet told me if I wouldn't have brought Tobey in he would have bled to death from this dog food. His vet bill costed me 119.00.

I have three dogs and they have been eating Alpo Prime Cuts for about 3 weeks. My lab mix can hardly stand up and won't eat. My pit bull has a lump under his neck and reddened areas around his groins and lies around all day long. My elderly black lab has trouble standing. After reading the reviews on this site I will NEVER again purchase this brand of dog food.

We bought canned Alpo Prime Cuts lamb and beef flavors 43639928 + 436399932 from our local Oregon Walmart. Our chihuahua dachshund mix has been exposed to multiple brands recently but switched to wet food for his upcoming dental surgery. The first two days he seemed completely normal. The third day his stool browned to the new food and he began to slow down and appeared distant. Today, the fourth day, he has been very slow with very soft stool. He hasn't touched the Alpo in his bowl all day. We are slowly feeding him bagged treats and other food and hope he doesn't seizure, vomit/refuse food, or bleed as other reviews have stated shortly before their dogs die with and without veterinary assistance.

I gave my 9yo terrier a dental chew. That night he had slight diarrhea. I didn't think much of it. 1 week later I decided to give him 1/2 chew because I wasn't 100% sure it was the issue. That was at 7 pm. I noticed he was lethargic and wouldn't do much. At midnight my dog had terrible diarrhea. I cleaned him up and went back to bed. 6 am he couldn't even make it to the back door. More horrible diarrhea BUT this time there was also blood. This continued until 8 am. After cleaning him only to have more bloody stool literally dropping out as he was standing. I rushed him to his vet. Thank God he is okay. She agreed it was the chew. I hadn't changed his food or any other treat - just tried the dental chew. It was a good thing I took him immediately. He was prescribed an antibiotic and anti-diarrhea medication.

Bought a large bag of food for my dog early this week. When I opened it yesterday the smell was disgusting. There seemed to be something like cobwebs on top and then I noticed movement in the bag. There were worms crawling all through the food. Thank goodness I saw this before I had served it to my dog. I noticed several complaints about things like this from Purina. They should be held responsible for any harm they have caused to animals and could cause in their lack of quality in these products.

Yesterday purchased a bag of Alpo Prime Cut Savory Beef Flavor because the store was out of my regular brand. I have 4 dogs, 2 small and 2 large. After eating the food last night all my dogs are vomiting today.

I opened a corner of my Purina Cookout Classics dog food and scooped out a cup for my dog, I then closed it a put a clip on it. After several days, I noticed the clip had a web-like film on it so I cut open the rest of the bag. To my horror, I found much more filmy webs inside and cream coloured worms. I had to throw out the entire bag of dog food and will let all my family and friends know not to ever buy Purina dog food again.

I have 2 great Danes and a mix. We go through food like crazy. For the past 3 weeks we've been purchasing the Alpo Come and Get It. 1 large bag a week. At first we the mix we brought home from my husband's work, and she got the runs terribly I thought from new food or even food on a normal basis. Our 3 year old American Dane male was not fixed and started behaving funny. We assumed it was from not being neutered. So we took him to get neutered. Then our 5 month old Euro Dane started sleeping a lot again, pretty normal for growing in Danes. Now 3 weeks later the runs have continued, odd behavior and vomiting. My Male has an inflamed anal sac to boot. They are refusing the food.

Now I have 3 incredibly sick babies (fur babies) and I'm removing this food from my home!!! 1 my Danes will eat just about anything, 2 GD portions of runs and vomiting is not fun, 3 they are all so sick. I am taking them all in, in the morning. We have never had this many issues with my Male since this food. I feel terrible.

Just bought a 16 pound bag of Prime Cuts this week on Monday. Our old guy use to act like he was still a puppy until today. Yesterday he had a normal stool, today none, and has vomited 3 times. 1st time had chunks of food in it, the other 2 were almost clear. Both dogs are good eaters, but have been turning away from the food dish since Wed. morning. Tonight I'm hoping our old guy makes it through the night. He's 15 but since was bouncing around prior to being fed this food. He has mostly been laying, sleeping all day. Usually he would be over excited with his squeaky toy or to go out & feed the horses. Today: NOTHING.

Our younger dog has turned away from all food today. I just read the reviews on this - wish I would have earlier. If there have been so many complaints about these problems, why hasn't there been a recall? The boy this dog belongs to has been laid off so I will have to pay the vet now and I'm retired. The company should have to pay all the vet bills dog owners are incurring because of this product.

We recently switched from Kibbles and Bits to Alpo here in SE Ohio. Our dog threw up immediately. I came to the Internet, and thank God I did, to find this thread of Alpo Dog Food making dogs sick and die. I hope there will be no further problems. I will never feed my dog this food again.

I bought a case of Alpo Select Cuts for my dog and he became extremely ill after eating it. I honestly thought he was going to die. He quit eating and drinking water and would just lie in one spot all day. He could barely stand to use the bathroom. The vet gave him some antibiotics which I started him on one Fri. night and by Sun. he was much better. How is stuff still being sold? Never again will I buy anything Alpo.

Alpo Dog Food Company Profile