Alpo Dog Food
1.31/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Alpo Dog Food

Looking for a good dog food brand?

241 Alpo Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 4, 2019

I needed to cover my dog's allergy pills up so she would take them and I thought the gravy from prime cut canned dog food would help. Thursday I gave her a half can then Friday morning another half and Friday night dinner another half. Then she peed twice in the house which she never does. By Saturday she would not eat or hardly get up by 11:30 we were at the vets. She was really dehydrated and by Sunday she could hardly walk and she was admitted to the vet hospital and by Sunday she was not hardly breathing and then Monday we said goodbye to her!! I am broken and hurt!!! and l know beyond a shadow of doubt... that Alpo prime cuts... canned dog food killed my baby!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have a small dog that weighs less than 4 lbs. Her name is Tony Dog, and she loves her wet dog food. She is very picky. When the can is opened you see a thick gravy and bite size chunks of a meaty type of food. Also is her choice for food.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I bought my girl Alpo Prime Cuts 2 days ago, and after she eats, will throw up 15-30 min later. She felt rotten today, and was lethargic & feverish. I bought a bag of Dog Chow today, and she has eaten twice, and no vomit! Alpo needs to investigate this immediately! After my experience & all the similar stories, something needs to be done!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have 4 dogs, a female American Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull mix, a female Mountain Feist, now 11 years old, a male Toy Poodle, and a male blonde Chihuahua and they all like this food. I tried changing them to Walmart's Ol' Roy brand once when Walmart was out of stock on Alpo Come & Get It! and every one of them got diarrhea from eating the Ol' Roy brand. I used to buy Ol' Roy when it was multi-colored like the Alpo is, but Walmart changed the food to the kind with all medium-brown colored food without telling anyone and it tore their stomachs up! I avoid the solid medium-brown colored dry dog food like the plague!

They never have any issued eating the multi-colored dry food like Alpo Come & Get It! brand so I'm sticking with it. Also, all 4 of my dogs are as healthy as a horse with nice shiny coats and lots of energy. I would highly recommend it to anyone who feeds dry dog food to their dogs and for the price you can't beat the very reasonable price. I pay only $7.64 + tax for a 14 lb bag and can get a 41 lb bag for only $18.98 + tax. You can't beat the price or the value!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Alpo one of the 1st ever dog foods created. Proven trust for the dog owner. If you want reliability go with a company that has been around since the creation of dog. Because before the 1940s there was no such thing as dog food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I opened a can of Alpo Prime Cuts and there was some kind of funky growth in it. Looked disgusting. It's now in the trash can. Will never feed it again. Back to Pedigree! No excuse for this if the company has guidelines and really cares about its product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We bought a 12 pack of ALPO DOG food during a snowstorm, off eBay for around $9 free shipping. Within a couple days of eating this canned dog food, our dog started coughing, like something was stuck in her throat. For 4 days she would not eat anything else, maybe a few bites of chicken that she also vomited up along with lots of yellow bio. She kept pushing the food away. She could hardly walk on the 3rd night, which we again had a huge snowstorm so getting here anywhere was about impossible. 5:30 am on the fourth day her breathing was so heavy and labored within half of hour of me being awake. I had massaged her, her body became stiff as if her organs were shutting down and she went in and out of it a few times then faded off. Before this our dog was healthy, she had a little arthritis in her back legs but showed no signs of death knocking on her door. Our family is devastated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We purchased Alpo Cookout Classics on Saturday; my dog cries, sleeps, yellow fizzy vomit and general lethargy. Stopped the food today. Not sure what to try next but not Alpo. My immediate thought was that the new bag of food had issues. This site is documenting similar illness. Please do not purchase this food if you love your dog.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Report @ https://www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov. UPC: 0 11132 52147 9 Bought Jan 12th 2019 on Amazon. Product: Purina Alpo Beef Lover's Adult Wet Dog Food Variety Pack Cans. The recipes are Prime Cut or Gravy Cravers. My 3 dogs who have gotten sick. The diarrhea is a dark muddy puddle of a color and consistency. The throw up is clear/yellowish and fizzy. Cans details: Two opened cans I was able to recover: Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960116, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960125. Unopened Cans left: Prime Cuts Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74851910, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960121, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960124, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960116.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Started transitioning my 2 yr old Great Dane over to Alpo Prime cuts on January 16... From the Purina ONE True Instincts, sadly couldn't continue to afford that kind with a job transition. Well lo and behold. JANUARY 19th literally out of nowhere. He starts heavily panting, I was trying to comfort him and see what was going on. Then he started salivating, massive amounts, drool was just pouring from his mouth and then he ran to the door fast, let him out and he had very watery stool. This was around 2 pm on Jan 19. It's now 840 am on the 20th.

From 2 pm yesterday he was rushing to the door spinning in circles with very heavy panting and excessive drooling, then looked strained while trying to poo, and watery diarrhea every 30-40 mins until 4 am this morning. I got no sleep, he would whine and flip flop every time he came back inside after one of these episodes. Since his last feeding was around 10 am yesterday he has not had anything. Going to wait till about noon today and he will have rice and chicken broth, and some yogurt. He doesn't seem too dehydrated. He did continue to drink water only until about 6 pm yesterday but has not touched it since.

And he is just sleeping a lot now this morning. Possible vet trip of rice doesn't seem to help and the diarrhea happens again. But NO MORE ALPO for us. I really hope you guys are doing something about this. It's pathetic that all of these reviews with very similar reactions, symptoms and some cases even death, you should be sure to do something about this... Looks like this has gone on way too long. How can I continue to trust Purina now. Why would they even put their name on this. DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE FOR YOUR FAMILY PET!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

January 18, 2019. Are there any recent Alpo can dog food recalls? I have fed my small shih tzu some canned Alpo pet food on January 14, 2019 AM/PM - he came down with diarrhea. I was up with him all night on Monday evening and he was outside nine times during the evening and early morning poo-ing. I discarded everything I was feeding him at the time the symptoms decreased and I began to feed him again a mix of wet duck/chicken mixed with Purina ONE on Tuesday PM. The symptoms decreased. He became himself again until January 17, 2019 PM.

As I began to feed him a mix of the canned Alpo pet food (Prime cuts/Stew with Beef) on this day (Thursday January 17, 2019 PM) later in the evening and stretching into Friday AM January 18, 2019. He again began to have diarrhea, I was outside with him six times during PM/AM time frame. He is not eating and resting now January 18, 2019 PM. Thought I would share this just in case there is a systemic problems out there. Here some objective evidence of a possible problem, that may be addressed by the manufacturer. To contain any further discomfort and loss of sleep (by me) and assist our furry friends.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have fed my Rottweiler/black lab Alpo Prime Cuts for years. Buy it in the 50 lb bag. However, my dog starting vomiting every bit of food and coughing like he had kennel cough but he has not been in a kennel. Vomits his food and large amounts of phlegm. Lost a lot of weight. Tried other options but ended up switching his food to Purina Smartblend (mix of dry and canned). The vomiting has stopped and the coughing has greatly decreased in the last 2 weeks. The issues started roughly 2 bag ago on the Alpo. I am suspicious that the Alpo food was contaminated since the change in food has made a huge improvement. I think Alpo needs to investigate and possible post a recall.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My dogs have always eaten Alpo however recently the last two bags that I bought my dog has been eating grass by the tons throwing up everywhere. Had the runs not wanting to eat or drink on a normal basis and I firmly believe it has something to do with the dog food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought the Twist-ables & after giving my dog a few yesterday and today she's unbalanced, trying to vomit & acting very erratic. If she doesn't improve I'll be taking her to the vet. Bottom line don't buy Alpo anything for your pets. It's far too risky.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have two dogs. I bought the Alpo Dog treats and my older dog was unbalanced, wouldnt eat or drink, was having upset stomach, going pee wherever when she's been potty trained for years! I read these complaints and think Alpo should stop making their bad treats. Dogs are dying. WTF people. Have a heart. Stop killing peoples animals.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have 2 dogs a pom. And a Beagle. I bought 2 cans 1 for each. After 2 hrs she had bloody stools and was acting very weak like she didn't want to get up, go outside anything. The next day she refused to eat it. I'm glad 'cause two days later these bloody stools were gone. As for my beagle he refused to eat it. The first night wouldn't touch it. However other hand they both love the Alpo variety snaps. They love them!! But I'll never buy Alpo canned or dry food again!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I recently bought my dog some Alpo Snaps. I usually buy her milk bones but thought I'd switch it up for something different. I have a 10 year old Min Pin/Chihuahua mix. She is about 15 pounds. At first she loved the treats but then the second day she seemed to not really want them but she eventually ate them. The third day she didn't want to eat at all. For two days she hasn't wanted to eat. Her tummy started gurgling and she had really bad gas. I thought maybe it was because I switched her treats. Then in the middle of the night last night she was vomiting and had diarrhea that was mucusy and bloody. Then this morning she seemed kind of shaky and dopey.

I had my boyfriend stay with her all day when I went to work because I was so scared for her. She ended up vomiting one more time and had several more diarrhea episodes. Tonight she finally seems to be getting back to herself. She still seems very sleepy but I made her some rice and she ate it right up. I threw out all the treats I bought and will never buy them again. I think I may just start making my own dog treats so I know what's in them. My pup is my life and I feel so horrible knowing that I made her sick by giving her these treats. I will never ever recommend this brand to anyone. I say stay far far away from Alpo products of any kind.

Original review: July 23, 2018

On July 23rd 2018 Curley DIED!! Our beloved family pet who was young and healthy 48 hours ago is now dead. Thousands of other dogs have died in the last number of years and this sick company continues to sell the products. What type of low life disgusting vile piss poor excuse for a person can put money above the lives of innocent animals and hurting thousands of people? These are the type of people that ensure that hell is filled from wall to wall.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have had a dog or dogs for my entire life and through the years I have tried quite a few different brands, from very high end to ultra cheap. I have found that it doesn't matter what flavor, shape, contents or price, if the dog doesn't like it they will wait a long time before eating but then only a few bites. The Alpo dry food has decent ingredients, every dog I've had ate and seems that they liked it.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Fed my dog ALPO, now he has diarrhea and throwing up for two days? I didn't realized the dog food and treats were making him sick. Just got him somewhat settled today with home cooking, this evening gave him Chop House and Snaps, his stomach is sickly gurgling and breathing heavily again. He recently got over the Smuckers Kibble N Bits and Gravy Train tainted dog food sickness a few weeks ago. I'm tired of the of irresponsibility of companies importing poisoned dog food.

Mainstream media doesn't cover all the thousands of dogs that have died in recent years from poisoned dog food from China, a country that still beats dogs and skins them alive. I hate them and I think about it everytime I have to buy any product from that country. My dog has been sick several times over the last 4 years from other brands as well, all from tainted pet food and treats. ALPO is another brand off my list and any other product associated with that company. I will contact ALPO tomorrow, but I doubt if it will do any good.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Last week my blue pit and wolf mix Flokie started acting strange. Wouldn't bark or play with his brother Zeus. He started bleeding out. The next day I buried him. Zeus died two days later. Symptoms to death about three days. All from Alpo dry dog food from Walmart and Dollar General Mobile AL.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Alpo Prime Cuts dry food makes my dog sick! I usually feed my dog Purina indoor dog chow. I tried to work in a little food with her old food to get her started with the change. I barely put ANY in my dog's previous food that doesn't make her sick at all... and she won't even, been sick all day having to go to the bathroom. I mean just a tiny SPRINKLE of this crap made her DOG sick. I can't imagine if I fed her a bowl full of it. It makes me scared thinking about it reading these reviews, and I'm still not exactly out of the water yet.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I did not know how bad Alpo can food is for your pet. We HAD a 3 year old golden retriever which we recently gave him Alpo can food. He died and we did not think it was coming from his food. He began not to eat or drink. Diarrhea lethargic. When we let him out of his pen his leg gave out on him. Before we could get him to vet he died. I will never buy ALPO AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Feed dog Alpo Prime Cuts Dry food. Caused bloody stool; lethargy, no interest in food or water; unsteady on feet, no interest in anyone or anything. Two days later only saving grace has been chicken and rice. Fortunately, dog in question is 130 lbs; had my 13 lb fur baby ate it (she flat out refused) she would have died. Needs to be recalled and discontinued immediately. Contacted company and advised them of same. DO NOT FEED YOUR PET ALPO!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have been feeding our 4 dogs Alpo Prime Cuts Dry Dog Food for a while now, but all of a sudden 3 of them starting losing hair, 2 have lost weight, and our Australian Shepherd seems to have trouble laying down and falls asleep standing up and falls over. After reading the reviews of this dog food, I am worried that we may be killing our dogs. These dogs are part of our family. They are Australian Shepherd, 2 mutts, and a Shih Tzu. I worry that the dry food may also contain poison. I think Alpo needs to check all of their products and make sure they are safe for our animals. Pull it off the shelves until it’s known to be hazard free, there is definitely something going on. Their bowel movements are looser than normal, and they aren't eating like they should. Are you poisoning our dogs?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I just had a can of Alpo dog food explode when I started lifting the tab. Sound like a balloon popping. The lid flew across the room and it reeked of chemicals. Thankfully it wasn't pointed at my face! The chemical smell filled the room. No more Alpo for my fur baby! You can see from the image that I had barely began to open the lid.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Alpo is easy on my dog's digestion and is priced affordable. Due to us having 4 can 1 big dog it's cost is around $15 - $16.00. We purchase the larger bag.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My dog has loved the Alpo Dog Food for years. As soon as I crack the can she knows the flavor especially the beef stew. The price is very good at Walmart.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I started mixing Alpo canned dog food with our dog's dry food and shortly thereafter he began vomiting blood and pooping blood and had to be put down. Curious as to whether this was caused by Alpo canned food since I've been reading some very bad reviews with dogs that had same type symptoms.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Alpo prime cuts savory beef. I ran out of dog food so out of convenience went to the local store and that was the dog food they had so I decided one bag shouldn't hurt and was I wrong. I went home later that night and it made me sick. Boomer looked like a million bees stung him and all swollen and apparently it's happen to another ladies dog. I would recommend they stop producing food. The company has killed too many pets with its so-called food. All a person has to do is Google it.

Alpo Dog Food Company Information