Alpo Dog Food
1.30/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Alpo Dog Food

Looking for a good dog food brand?

245 Alpo Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We bought a 12 pack of ALPO DOG food during a snowstorm, off eBay for around $9 free shipping. Within a couple days of eating this canned dog food, our dog started coughing, like something was stuck in her throat. For 4 days she would not eat anything else, maybe a few bites of chicken that she also vomited up along with lots of yellow bio. She kept pushing the food away. She could hardly walk on the 3rd night, which we again had a huge snowstorm so getting here anywhere was about impossible. 5:30 am on the fourth day her breathing was so heavy and labored within half of hour of me being awake. I had massaged her, her body became stiff as if her organs were shutting down and she went in and out of it a few times then faded off. Before this our dog was healthy, she had a little arthritis in her back legs but showed no signs of death knocking on her door. Our family is devastated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We purchased Alpo Cookout Classics on Saturday; my dog cries, sleeps, yellow fizzy vomit and general lethargy. Stopped the food today. Not sure what to try next but not Alpo. My immediate thought was that the new bag of food had issues. This site is documenting similar illness. Please do not purchase this food if you love your dog.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Report @ https://www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov. UPC: 0 11132 52147 9 Bought Jan 12th 2019 on Amazon. Product: Purina Alpo Beef Lover's Adult Wet Dog Food Variety Pack Cans. The recipes are Prime Cut or Gravy Cravers. My 3 dogs who have gotten sick. The diarrhea is a dark muddy puddle of a color and consistency. The throw up is clear/yellowish and fizzy. Cans details: Two opened cans I was able to recover: Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960116, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960125. Unopened Cans left: Prime Cuts Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74851910, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960121, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960124, Gravy Cravers: Best by Nov 2020 83341157 L74960116.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Started transitioning my 2 yr old Great Dane over to Alpo Prime cuts on January 16... From the Purina ONE True Instincts, sadly couldn't continue to afford that kind with a job transition. Well lo and behold. JANUARY 19th literally out of nowhere. He starts heavily panting, I was trying to comfort him and see what was going on. Then he started salivating, massive amounts, drool was just pouring from his mouth and then he ran to the door fast, let him out and he had very watery stool. This was around 2 pm on Jan 19. It's now 840 am on the 20th.

From 2 pm yesterday he was rushing to the door spinning in circles with very heavy panting and excessive drooling, then looked strained while trying to poo, and watery diarrhea every 30-40 mins until 4 am this morning. I got no sleep, he would whine and flip flop every time he came back inside after one of these episodes. Since his last feeding was around 10 am yesterday he has not had anything. Going to wait till about noon today and he will have rice and chicken broth, and some yogurt. He doesn't seem too dehydrated. He did continue to drink water only until about 6 pm yesterday but has not touched it since.

And he is just sleeping a lot now this morning. Possible vet trip of rice doesn't seem to help and the diarrhea happens again. But NO MORE ALPO for us. I really hope you guys are doing something about this. It's pathetic that all of these reviews with very similar reactions, symptoms and some cases even death, you should be sure to do something about this... Looks like this has gone on way too long. How can I continue to trust Purina now. Why would they even put their name on this. DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE FOR YOUR FAMILY PET!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

January 18, 2019. Are there any recent Alpo can dog food recalls? I have fed my small shih tzu some canned Alpo pet food on January 14, 2019 AM/PM - he came down with diarrhea. I was up with him all night on Monday evening and he was outside nine times during the evening and early morning poo-ing. I discarded everything I was feeding him at the time the symptoms decreased and I began to feed him again a mix of wet duck/chicken mixed with Purina ONE on Tuesday PM. The symptoms decreased. He became himself again until January 17, 2019 PM.

As I began to feed him a mix of the canned Alpo pet food (Prime cuts/Stew with Beef) on this day (Thursday January 17, 2019 PM) later in the evening and stretching into Friday AM January 18, 2019. He again began to have diarrhea, I was outside with him six times during PM/AM time frame. He is not eating and resting now January 18, 2019 PM. Thought I would share this just in case there is a systemic problems out there. Here some objective evidence of a possible problem, that may be addressed by the manufacturer. To contain any further discomfort and loss of sleep (by me) and assist our furry friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have fed my Rottweiler/black lab Alpo Prime Cuts for years. Buy it in the 50 lb bag. However, my dog starting vomiting every bit of food and coughing like he had kennel cough but he has not been in a kennel. Vomits his food and large amounts of phlegm. Lost a lot of weight. Tried other options but ended up switching his food to Purina Smartblend (mix of dry and canned). The vomiting has stopped and the coughing has greatly decreased in the last 2 weeks. The issues started roughly 2 bag ago on the Alpo. I am suspicious that the Alpo food was contaminated since the change in food has made a huge improvement. I think Alpo needs to investigate and possible post a recall.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My dogs have always eaten Alpo however recently the last two bags that I bought my dog has been eating grass by the tons throwing up everywhere. Had the runs not wanting to eat or drink on a normal basis and I firmly believe it has something to do with the dog food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought the Twist-ables & after giving my dog a few yesterday and today she's unbalanced, trying to vomit & acting very erratic. If she doesn't improve I'll be taking her to the vet. Bottom line don't buy Alpo anything for your pets. It's far too risky.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have two dogs. I bought the Alpo Dog treats and my older dog was unbalanced, wouldnt eat or drink, was having upset stomach, going pee wherever when she's been potty trained for years! I read these complaints and think Alpo should stop making their bad treats. Dogs are dying. WTF people. Have a heart. Stop killing peoples animals.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have 2 dogs a pom. And a Beagle. I bought 2 cans 1 for each. After 2 hrs she had bloody stools and was acting very weak like she didn't want to get up, go outside anything. The next day she refused to eat it. I'm glad 'cause two days later these bloody stools were gone. As for my beagle he refused to eat it. The first night wouldn't touch it. However other hand they both love the Alpo variety snaps. They love them!! But I'll never buy Alpo canned or dry food again!

Alpo Dog Food Company Information