2. Pets

Alpo Dog Food

Alpo Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Alpo Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have fed my Rottweiler/black lab Alpo Prime Cuts for years. Buy it in the 50 lb bag. However, my dog starting vomiting every bit of food and coughing like he had kennel cough but he has not been in a kennel. Vomits his food and large amounts of phlegm. Lost a lot of weight. Tried other options but ended up switching his food to Purina Smartblend (mix of dry and canned). The vomiting has stopped and the coughing has greatly decreased in the last 2 weeks. The issues started roughly 2 bag ago on the Alpo. I am suspicious that the Alpo food was contaminated since the change in food has made a huge improvement. I think Alpo needs to investigate and possible post a recall.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My dogs have always eaten Alpo however recently the last two bags that I bought my dog has been eating grass by the tons throwing up everywhere. Had the runs not wanting to eat or drink on a normal basis and I firmly believe it has something to do with the dog food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought the Twist-ables & after giving my dog a few yesterday and today she's unbalanced, trying to vomit & acting very erratic. If she doesn't improve I'll be taking her to the vet. Bottom line don't buy Alpo anything for your pets. It's far too risky.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have two dogs. I bought the Alpo Dog treats and my older dog was unbalanced, wouldnt eat or drink, was having upset stomach, going pee wherever when she's been potty trained for years! I read these complaints and think Alpo should stop making their bad treats. Dogs are dying. WTF people. Have a heart. Stop killing peoples animals.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have 2 dogs a pom. And a Beagle. I bought 2 cans 1 for each. After 2 hrs she had bloody stools and was acting very weak like she didn't want to get up, go outside anything. The next day she refused to eat it. I'm glad 'cause two days later these bloody stools were gone. As for my beagle he refused to eat it. The first night wouldn't touch it. However other hand they both love the Alpo variety snaps. They love them!! But I'll never buy Alpo canned or dry food again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: July 26, 2018

I recently bought my dog some Alpo Snaps. I usually buy her milk bones but thought I'd switch it up for something different. I have a 10 year old Min Pin/Chihuahua mix. She is about 15 pounds. At first she loved the treats but then the second day she seemed to not really want them but she eventually ate them. The third day she didn't want to eat at all. For two days she hasn't wanted to eat. Her tummy started gurgling and she had really bad gas. I thought maybe it was because I switched her treats. Then in the middle of the night last night she was vomiting and had diarrhea that was mucusy and bloody. Then this morning she seemed kind of shaky and dopey.

I had my boyfriend stay with her all day when I went to work because I was so scared for her. She ended up vomiting one more time and had several more diarrhea episodes. Tonight she finally seems to be getting back to herself. She still seems very sleepy but I made her some rice and she ate it right up. I threw out all the treats I bought and will never buy them again. I think I may just start making my own dog treats so I know what's in them. My pup is my life and I feel so horrible knowing that I made her sick by giving her these treats. I will never ever recommend this brand to anyone. I say stay far far away from Alpo products of any kind.

Original review: July 23, 2018

On July 23rd 2018 Curley DIED!! Our beloved family pet who was young and healthy 48 hours ago is now dead. Thousands of other dogs have died in the last number of years and this sick company continues to sell the products. What type of low life disgusting vile piss poor excuse for a person can put money above the lives of innocent animals and hurting thousands of people? These are the type of people that ensure that hell is filled from wall to wall.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have had a dog or dogs for my entire life and through the years I have tried quite a few different brands, from very high end to ultra cheap. I have found that it doesn't matter what flavor, shape, contents or price, if the dog doesn't like it they will wait a long time before eating but then only a few bites. The Alpo dry food has decent ingredients, every dog I've had ate and seems that they liked it.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Fed my dog ALPO, now he has diarrhea and throwing up for two days? I didn't realized the dog food and treats were making him sick. Just got him somewhat settled today with home cooking, this evening gave him Chop House and Snaps, his stomach is sickly gurgling and breathing heavily again. He recently got over the Smuckers Kibble N Bits and Gravy Train tainted dog food sickness a few weeks ago. I'm tired of the of irresponsibility of companies importing poisoned dog food.

Mainstream media doesn't cover all the thousands of dogs that have died in recent years from poisoned dog food from China, a country that still beats dogs and skins them alive. I hate them and I think about it everytime I have to buy any product from that country. My dog has been sick several times over the last 4 years from other brands as well, all from tainted pet food and treats. ALPO is another brand off my list and any other product associated with that company. I will contact ALPO tomorrow, but I doubt if it will do any good.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Last week my blue pit and wolf mix Flokie started acting strange. Wouldn't bark or play with his brother Zeus. He started bleeding out. The next day I buried him. Zeus died two days later. Symptoms to death about three days. All from Alpo dry dog food from Walmart and Dollar General Mobile AL.

Alpo Dog Food Company Information