Alpo Dog Food

Alpo Dog Food

2.7/5 (524 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Alpo Dog Food

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Alpo Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

This has killed 4 of my babies within 1 week. I trusted also to take care of my babies but now I can't hold them for which they have passed. I have this to my babies for 3-4 years and never in a million years I would thank this. Could kill them. When I keep calling the company they just give me runarounds and I even had the food sent in to have it checked. I wish I would have never gave my babies this food. I love them as much as my children. I can't believe they are gone. Your company don't even deserve 1 star. I will fight this until the end. I am sick of the runarounds. Anyone in your right mind please please please don't feed your babies this. If you truly love your babies please don't. I don't want you to go throw what I had too. I lost 4 babies and now there is a big hole in my heart. Fly high mom's babies.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

My friend's 7 year old chihuahua suddenly had liver failure for no apparent reason (she died). We were looking at the ingredients in her food and treats. Alpo variety snacks had garlic powder in them. Now, I'm not saying that it killed her, but what is garlic doing in a dog treat?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I started giving my dog Alpo chop house and she started to get some of the symptoms others have listed. Stopped eating, wouldn't move a lot, etc... Thankfully I googled Alpo reviews and read all these complaints. I put her on Taste of the Wild and she seems better.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

One or both of my dogs threw up twice. Blood was in the vomit. The biggest dog (an Akita) had diarrhea. The same color (orange) as some of the bits of food contained in her dry dog food, Alpo Prime Cuts. I also have been giving my dogs 3 or 4 treats a day called TBonz by Alpo. I am now feeding them boiled chicken and rice and they seem to be ok. No more vomiting. I did not buy this dog food/treats because it was cheap, but because my dogs loved them! Wish I had seen this website first. Now I have to find a dog food they will eat.

Original review: July 31, 2016

I like Alpo prime cuts for my dogs. I have 2 English bulldogs, 1 rottweiler and 1 pitbull... I think the price is adorable and my dogs seem to enjoy it.

Original review: July 28, 2016

I gave both my dogs the treats (cut into small pieces) during a training session, night before last. Yesterday morning, my 14 month old Yorkie vomited up her entire breakfast with the undigested pieces of the treat throughout. By the time I returned home in the afternoon. She had vomited again (same thing), plus had diarrhea! My greedy Lab puppy wouldn't eat her dinner and had a very soft stool. It was crazy as they both received a clean bill of health on this past Saturday! Later, My Yorkie now has a bloody stool and my lab is vomiting bile! It has to be the treats. Neither of them have ever been sick. I only purchased them so they would be more anxious than they are with their "healthy" treats for training sessions. I'll submit my receipt when I return home.

Original review: July 20, 2016

I purchased my dog Purina Alpo on Sunday. His first feeding was Monday and by Tuesday after two feedings, he was vomiting almost the entire night. Now my dog is a healthy dog so I immediately knew something wasn't right. And since the only thing that has changed recently was his dog food, because I normally purchase Purina Dog Chow, I instantly knew what the problem was. I only purchased it because it was a brand by Purina, but never again, so glad I looked up the food and located this site. This food should not be in stores or sold anywhere else.

Original review: July 12, 2016

A friend of mine just had 2 Chihuahuas die within 3 days after feeding them canned Alpo (ground, not sliced). Remaining cans are being taken back to the store but wanted to mention these deaths in case it is not just coincidence and the food is actually contaminated.

Original review: July 4, 2016

I tried this for my dogs about 4 days ago... both dogs had bloody diarrhea, vomiting and my 6 lb poodle had seizures... wouldn't eat or drink (thank God) and now I am reading all these reviews!!! Thanks Alpo for trying to kill my dogs!!! My poodle still can't stand up straight without hurting!

Original review: June 8, 2016

Hello. I'm from Waynesboro and I started feeding my two year old chihuahua Alpo dog food and it made him very sick to the point where he wouldn't eat or drink and clots of blood was coming out of his anus. I had to take him to the vet to be checked out and come to find out the Alpo dog food had infected his intestine with poison and caused him to do all the bleeding. So to those who feed this dog food to their fur babies take them off if it before it kills your fur babies because the vet told me if I wouldn't have brought Tobey in he would have bled to death from this dog food. His vet bill costed me 119.00.

Original review: May 25, 2016

I have three dogs and they have been eating Alpo Prime Cuts for about 3 weeks. My lab mix can hardly stand up and won't eat. My pit bull has a lump under his neck and reddened areas around his groins and lies around all day long. My elderly black lab has trouble standing. After reading the reviews on this site I will NEVER again purchase this brand of dog food.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We bought canned Alpo Prime Cuts lamb and beef flavors 43639928 + 436399932 from our local Oregon Walmart. Our chihuahua dachshund mix has been exposed to multiple brands recently but switched to wet food for his upcoming dental surgery. The first two days he seemed completely normal. The third day his stool browned to the new food and he began to slow down and appeared distant. Today, the fourth day, he has been very slow with very soft stool. He hasn't touched the Alpo in his bowl all day. We are slowly feeding him bagged treats and other food and hope he doesn't seizure, vomit/refuse food, or bleed as other reviews have stated shortly before their dogs die with and without veterinary assistance.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I gave my 9yo terrier a dental chew. That night he had slight diarrhea. I didn't think much of it. 1 week later I decided to give him 1/2 chew because I wasn't 100% sure it was the issue. That was at 7 pm. I noticed he was lethargic and wouldn't do much. At midnight my dog had terrible diarrhea. I cleaned him up and went back to bed. 6 am he couldn't even make it to the back door. More horrible diarrhea BUT this time there was also blood. This continued until 8 am. After cleaning him only to have more bloody stool literally dropping out as he was standing. I rushed him to his vet. Thank God he is okay. She agreed it was the chew. I hadn't changed his food or any other treat - just tried the dental chew. It was a good thing I took him immediately. He was prescribed an antibiotic and anti-diarrhea medication.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

Bought a large bag of food for my dog early this week. When I opened it yesterday the smell was disgusting. There seemed to be something like cobwebs on top and then I noticed movement in the bag. There were worms crawling all through the food. Thank goodness I saw this before I had served it to my dog. I noticed several complaints about things like this from Purina. They should be held responsible for any harm they have caused to animals and could cause in their lack of quality in these products.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

Yesterday purchased a bag of Alpo Prime Cut Savory Beef Flavor because the store was out of my regular brand. I have 4 dogs, 2 small and 2 large. After eating the food last night all my dogs are vomiting today.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I opened a corner of my Purina Cookout Classics dog food and scooped out a cup for my dog, I then closed it a put a clip on it. After several days, I noticed the clip had a web-like film on it so I cut open the rest of the bag. To my horror, I found much more filmy webs inside and cream coloured worms. I had to throw out the entire bag of dog food and will let all my family and friends know not to ever buy Purina dog food again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I have 2 great Danes and a mix. We go through food like crazy. For the past 3 weeks we've been purchasing the Alpo Come and Get It. 1 large bag a week. At first we the mix we brought home from my husband's work, and she got the runs terribly I thought from new food or even food on a normal basis. Our 3 year old American Dane male was not fixed and started behaving funny. We assumed it was from not being neutered. So we took him to get neutered. Then our 5 month old Euro Dane started sleeping a lot again, pretty normal for growing in Danes. Now 3 weeks later the runs have continued, odd behavior and vomiting. My Male has an inflamed anal sac to boot. They are refusing the food.

Now I have 3 incredibly sick babies (fur babies) and I'm removing this food from my home!!! 1 my Danes will eat just about anything, 2 GD portions of runs and vomiting is not fun, 3 they are all so sick. I am taking them all in, in the morning. We have never had this many issues with my Male since this food. I feel terrible.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

Just bought a 16 pound bag of Prime Cuts this week on Monday. Our old guy use to act like he was still a puppy until today. Yesterday he had a normal stool, today none, and has vomited 3 times. 1st time had chunks of food in it, the other 2 were almost clear. Both dogs are good eaters, but have been turning away from the food dish since Wed. morning. Tonight I'm hoping our old guy makes it through the night. He's 15 but since was bouncing around prior to being fed this food. He has mostly been laying, sleeping all day. Usually he would be over excited with his squeaky toy or to go out & feed the horses. Today: NOTHING.

Our younger dog has turned away from all food today. I just read the reviews on this - wish I would have earlier. If there have been so many complaints about these problems, why hasn't there been a recall? The boy this dog belongs to has been laid off so I will have to pay the vet now and I'm retired. The company should have to pay all the vet bills dog owners are incurring because of this product.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

We recently switched from Kibbles and Bits to Alpo here in SE Ohio. Our dog threw up immediately. I came to the Internet, and thank God I did, to find this thread of Alpo Dog Food making dogs sick and die. I hope there will be no further problems. I will never feed my dog this food again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I bought a case of Alpo Select Cuts for my dog and he became extremely ill after eating it. I honestly thought he was going to die. He quit eating and drinking water and would just lie in one spot all day. He could barely stand to use the bathroom. The vet gave him some antibiotics which I started him on one Fri. night and by Sun. he was much better. How is stuff still being sold? Never again will I buy anything Alpo.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I purchased some canned Alpo prime cuts for my boxer because he loves some wet food with his dry. After 4 days of eating this he begins to have diarrhea and then last night he starts vomiting uncontrollable. He is refusing to eat and drink now. I wasn't really sure why until I started reading other consumers reports of this dog food. Needless to say I am a bit furious as to why they have not taken this off the shelves and not being able to sell this product. This has gotten me into a major outrage! I will no longer be purchasing Alpo food and I will be spreading my my word and experience with Alpo food products. I will do what I can to get this product off the shelves.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I fed my little teacup Yorkie Alpo from a can and I noticed she pooped blood. Then I noticed she wasn't feeling good when I bathed her cause she was so calm and usually she fights me when I bathe her. I had to go to my part time classes at a nearby college, so I left her home for about 5 hours. When I came home I called her name and she usually runs up to me as soon as she hears me open the door. This time she was not.

I got really scared and started looking for her. There she lay her paws in the air faintly breathing and with foam coming out of her mouth. I cried and cried, called the vet immediately and rushed her to his hospital. He gave her honey with a syringe and watched her till she felt better. He ran test on her for Parvo because I told him she pooped blood and she was foaming spit. Her results came back good and I started to feed her a different food from his recommendation and she never had that problem again. I am sure it was the Alpo food that made her sick, I got it at a local Dollar Store.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I cant believe what I am reading. I purchased Alpo Prime Cuts dog food on October 24, 2015 and within one hour's time all of my dogs began throwing up. 5 of my dogs stopped throwing up after they got the dog food out of their system. However my 9 year old Lab that was nursing 13 day old puppies continued throwing up. Today she began having seizures and releasing her guts and blood. We rushed her to the vet which is 7.8 miles from our house and she died before we could get her to the vet's office. Do not feed your dog Alpo Prime Cuts. It will kill your dog.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I started my dogs on Alpo prime cuts on Monday of last week. I had a 13 yo Dachshund and 12 yo Jack Russell. Both dogs started having really bad diarrhea on Tue and Wed. I took away the dog food and tried nursing both dogs back to health. Both has started having blood in the vomit and diarrhea on Thur morning and both dogs were extremely sick. Unfortunately my Dachshund Spike passed away Friday morning in a pool of his own blood as his body gave in to the poison that Alpo has said was safe for consumption. Please don't feed this to your pet. Too many dogs have died in the same manner and all have this food in common. Fortunately, my Jack Russell Dora has made progress but the sickness left her emaciated and without her 12 year buddy. She will recover as long as she can get over heartbreak.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I bought a box of Snaps for my dog about 2 weeks ago. She only gets them every once in a while at bedtime. For about a week she has been throwing up at least once a day, almost every day. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what could possibly be the cause and I am convinced it is these treats. They are definitely going in the trash and my baby will be going to the vet if I see her throw up one more time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

August 28, 2015 I purchased Alpo Prime Cuts Savory Beef for our 7 year old fur baby, Ranger, because it was on sale and we wanted to try something new. On September 8, 2015 he was refusing to eat his food. I figured it was because he had just spent the weekend away from us and was stressed out. The week following him being home he would nibble at his food but never finish an entire bowl. September 15, 2015 he started vomiting. Six times in a matter of four hours.

I took him to the vet and they gave him a shot for nausea and had me put him on a boiled chicken and rice diet. He had lost so much weight! After three days of chicken and rice he was eating and feeling better. No more vomiting. So on September 19, 2015 we decided to add in some vegetables and protein to help put the weight back. He LOVED it, was eating and acting normal again.

September 24, 2015 we decided to start feeding him his dry Alpo again mixed in his rice and chicken mix. September 28, 2015 he stopped eating and drinking completely again. Wouldn't even eat chicken and rice. Wouldn't eat treats, no peanut butter snacks, no NOTHING! He refused to drink. We decided to call a family meeting and discuss what the next step was going to be.

We decided we would give him a few days, syringe feed him water to keep him hydrated and keep trying to feed him. September 30, 2015 my 10 & 8 year old got home from school and let our baby out and he got up and went outside to use the restroom. We were all so excited. Then it took a turn for the worse, Ranger threw up stomach acid, started breathing really heavily and was "wheezing". Two hours later he was gasping for air and we rushed him to the vet. Ranger was put to sleep at 7:20 pm on 9/30/15. I NEVER should have tried giving him Alpo again once we started seeing an improvement in his health. We are all devastated!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

Alpo dog food that is being sold in Huntington, West Virginia is contaminated or something. It has almost killed every dog and puppy that we have fed it to and we have had to go to the vet to get antibiotics because they don't have parvo and they don't have distemper, but these animals have been found to have tapeworms, blood and a diarrhea/runny stool. This is not just my animals, these are other animals that I have given Alpo dog food bags to friends and their animals are now sick and dying after eating this food.

This is the only thing all of these animals have in common is Alpo dog food and it is very, very concerning when all of these animals have the only one thing in common. So please, I beg of you at Alpo to run test and find out what is making our animals sick after eating the food that we have trusted to give them all these years, please before it kills any more animals. I know for fact 6 dogs that were perfectly healthy just up and died 2-4 days after being sick from eating Alpo dog food.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

I can't believe what I'm reading! I looked up Alpo dog food to see if there was any complaints on it due to my 7 month old pit bull has became very sick with diarrhea with blood in it and to my surprise this has happened to SEVERAL others after this food! Why is this food continuing to be sold? Why has there not been any legal action taken against this company esp when I've read that some people's dogs died?? We all need to go to the higher power and get this ** pulled off the shelves. I'm glad to know now why my dog is sick - I didn't know what it was until now! I'm pissed!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Alpo prime beef with gravy / chicken with gravy - Our 2 dogs one senior one pup loved this variety until this week and we've tried both. Beef and chicken. They turn their nose up at it. When we went to get the chopped beef at our local store (Marvin's in Roland okla.) we met some else with the same.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I have never fed my 2 small dogs completely wet canned food, but because my Shih Tzu is allergic to chicken, Prime cuts seemed to be a good choice to add to their expensive dry dog food with no gluten, wheat, etc. Well last week was the week from hell due to their reaction to the last batch of canned Alpo Prime cuts (purchase 12 pack end of Aug 2015). For some reason, they both got diarrhea and I didn't figure that out because it was this trusted canned food. Now mind you, I only give them a large spoonful and mix it with their dry food so I have been doing this routine for months.

ODD, that when I opened the Prime Cuts cans this time, it was real liquidy with no smell... so I think (from reading all the most recent Aug post here) that possibly, this recent batch of Prime Cuts by Alpo is botched and full of some kind of bacteria that causes my dogs stools to be runny and bloody and they farted all over the place. So glad I switched to Iams and other more expensive canned foods. I can't lose my fur babies over a few quarters when comparing prices. I'm thinking about writing Alpo and I need to dispose of these leftover cans of Alpo. I have looked and looked for my Aug receipt from HEB, but cannot find it. I have purchased the large 24 pack from Sam's and have that receipt BUT that can food was fine with no ill effects on my dogs and it was purchased in May 2015.

Alpo Dog Food Company Information