AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

About AKC Pet Insurance

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through its incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. AKC’s customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Full 30-day refund
    • Multipet discount
    • Customizable plans
    Cons
    • Only covers dogs and cats

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2015

One of my dogs has cost me about $40,000 now so I said no more, I'm going to get insurance for the next dog. So I did and got AKC Pet Insurance. There was a recent experience I had with AKC, when my dog ate a sock and it went into his intestines and it had to be operated on. I got reimbursed for everything but about $500. I hope he doesn't need another operation because this is his second one. As for AKC, I'd recommend it. I never had an issue with it.

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2015

I'm satisfied with my experience with AKC Pet insurance. We've been members for 20, 30 years or more. Just recently my dog had some medical problems, we put the claim in and they eventually sent something so it proved to be a valuable insurance for our pet.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2015

My dogs got a herniated disc so it gets very expensive with a neurologist office here in Florida so I recently have filed a very large claim. AKC paid very quickly and a fairly big chunk of it so I'm very satisfied. Having AKC is extremely valuable and I tell all of my friends that it's a great thing to have. I'm almost evangelical about it. Excellent coverage. Excellent service.

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2015

I view my dogs as my children so I view them the same as if I had insurance for a son or a daughter. They’re a part of my family so they’re going to have health insurance. I live in a neighborhood where even though I have a fenced yard, there’s all kinds of animals all around. I figured it’s better to have my dog insured to make sure that if something bad happens, I get some help with the vet bills. I got the original AKC form when I bought my dog from the breeder. It was from the kennel club that registered my dog, so AKC's the one I wanted to go through with as it seemed natural. I didn’t ever wanna use it, but I've had to use it twice so having it is a good thing. Recently my dog twisted his knee and needed a surgery and AKC was able to help pay some of the pretty big bill. I've been with AKC for close to 9 years now and I’m happy with them.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2015

AKC have been great. I've had it for years. They've been insuring and taking care of my dogs for years. One of my dogs just had a trauma and went through it really great. I've never had one minute of trouble with AKC and it has been really terrific.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2015

Please beware to all who get started with this insurance company. I have had my dog insured with AKC now for 10 years. Tomorrow I will call to cancel. You see as your dog gets older they continue to raise the cost of their insurance if you have used, overused or not used at all. We have had no claims in the last two years but her costs continue to rise. And I mean rise. They went up over $500 dollars this year to $1179. I would think I would get dinner before such a screwing. The last three years were around $450 then over $600 and then this $1179. I can't imagine what next year will be. Why don't they send an honest letter saying we prefer to not insure your older dog!! Insurance companies cannot do this to humans as I am a practicing physician and deal with RIP OFF insurance companies all the time. But they can do it to you and will as your dog gets older and may need the insurance. Shop around and make a better choice as this group is a rip off!!!!!!!!!!! Doc ** and disgusted!!!!!

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2015

I'm very, very satisfied with AKC. I had a claim not too long ago. I was shocked at how quick it went through. When I had my initial claim a few months back, it took a full four or five weeks and maybe it's because I wasn't in the system then, but this one I was very pleased. It was like less than two weeks.

Hi Bettie,

I am so happy that you are satisfied with our new claims turnaround. We were in the process of shifting to a new speedier system. We are now on that system so look forward to continued speedy claim checks!

Thanks,

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2015

Our friend who has AKC recommended it to us. I've been a policyholder since August and I must say they were very generous in paying for a surgery the dog had to have, even though it took them quite a while.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2015

I've been a customer of AKC Pet Insurance for about seven or eight years through the registration of a dog. At the time, I decided to look into acquiring pet insurance because I had a dachshund and they're notorious for back problems so I thought it would be a good benefit to have. My most recent experience has been with my corgi, Buffy, but I don't have a complete outcome. I have submitted several claims because she got sick and then got better and I've received the claim in a timely manner for that. But I've submitted two or three claims. She swallowed a rubber plug and she had to have surgery.

It's extremely valuable to have a pet insurance, especially with what happened with Buffy. I did have a problem when they switched services and it was a mess. I was also very unhappy that I wasn't offered the same type of policies for one dog that I got for the other. But they contacted me and had it resolved within a few days, which I thought was fantastic.

Pinned

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to hear that we have been able to help you with all your pet insurance needs.

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2015

It's been over 11 years since I first heard about AKC Pet Insurance and in all those years they've done a good job in the coverage that I've required. I've been satisfied.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2015

The breeder from whom we got our golden retriever referred AKC Pet Insurance to us. Since it's the breed that tends to have a lot of illness as they age, we figured that it makes sense for us to have pet insurance when we need it. We have it for about six to seven years. This August, our pet passed away so we had a lot of medical bills. We had a good experience with the reimbursement, except that we weren't very clear about a co-insurance amount that was not covered. But for the most part, they reimbursed whatever expenses were due.

We used AKC Pet Insurance when our dog got sick or if he had any emergencies. It was very valuable to us. Most of what the insurance covers were reimbursed as long as we submitted the invoices in a timely manner. I suggest though that they allow a little more time for pet owners to submit their invoices. Not everyone gets to these things right away even within a month or two.

Hi Shelly,
      I am so glad that you have found out pet insurance helpful. I wanted to let you know that we have an 180-day submission period for claims so please know you can take your time.

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2015

Whoever has a pet should get AKC pet insurance. When we first got our dog Milton, my husband heard about AKC and now I've been a policyholder for 12 years, since we got our black Labrador. Milton had a tumor on his butt so we got a claim for him and we received our money back, most of it, so it's really helpful. The way the cost is for vets, it's very helpful. Having a pet insurance is really valuable. I'd recommend it.

Hi Paula,
      I am so happy you have found our pet insurance helpful and that you have been with us since 2003. It's always great to hear from a long time policyholder!

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2015

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance was great. I called to check the status of a claim and they not only gave a good status but the person that checked it had very good customer service.

Hi Owen,
      I am so happy to hear we have been helpful in your time of need and friendly. We are a staff that just really loves dogs and cats and what we do!

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2015

The breeder recommended us to have a health insurance for Cody. We understood perfectly that we need that because she is like our small baby. And I recommend everybody that buys a dog to buy a health insurance. We have had a different experience with Cody and those types of services are too expensive. We recommend AKC to everybody.

Hi Janet,
      I'm glad you have been pleased with the protection we have provided you and Cody!

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2015

We had the pedigree registered with our dog, and that's when I became familiar with AKC. I got the insurance as a safeguard in terms of meeting expenses in keeping the dogs healthy. But I've had a lot of difficulties with them. Recently, my dog Monty was limping and they were trying to determine what the source of the limp was. The doctors made the diagnosis and a couple of times, they made diagnoses that weren't valid. We finally got a specialist and discovered the source of the pain that was causing the dog to limp. By the time that happened, two times I got denials. And one was because of a degenerative condition and the other one was it was arthritis and these weren't the cases at all.

I'm right in the process of getting a predetermination form. The first one I sent in got lost and nobody knew where that went. Then I got another one sent in October. So here I am sitting on this. For God's sake. Here we've gotten this insurance from the day he was eight weeks old so it should cover everything. Why are we pushing these things so much? And the expense, oh, my God! I didn't realize that the premiums were going to go up as he got older. Holy Christmas! It started at $60 and now I'm paying over $100 per dog per month. He has had two MRIs and so in that sense, it's covered the situation fairly well but boy! I fill out that form. I put it in a self-addressed envelope. I give it to the vet so they'll send it off right away. I'm trying to eliminate as much turnaround time as possible and the best I get is eight weeks and sometimes even more. I've got some things that are really old and don't know what's holding them up. I can't keep track but I make copies of everything.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2015

Having pet insurance is extremely valuable. We've had AKC pet insurance since we got our dog six years ago. It was the first time my wife and I had gotten a dog so we purchased pet insurance just in case... just kind of being precautionary. Recently our dog ate something like a bone or something she shouldn't have. We had to take her into a pet ER and they had to keep her overnight. It cost us about $1,600. We submitted claim right after that experience and got our claim back about 20 days after we submitted it... Would recommend AKC Pet Insurance.

Hi Daniel,
      Sorry to hear about your ER trip but I am glad we were here to help when you need it. Here's to a healthy 2015!

Claims HandlingStaffRates

Reviewed Jan. 4, 2015

I've been a policy holder with AKC since 2003. It wasn't too bad. However, we're still waiting on an appeal. My dog had a serious illness last April and I should have been more timely in putting the claims through but it was just kind of crazy. Anyway, it appears that some of her initial expenses at the beginning of the year got lumped into the diagnosis of brain stem meningioma and that would include things like her wellness exam in January. Those were denied. And I'm waiting and I don't know honestly what the status is. My vet has been pretty backlogged. And for some reason, they require the entire medical record which somewhere in all those claims that we've had, the information they're looking for should be there because that's not the first time it's been requested.

Even just for the year 2014 we had many, many claims in and they paid out well and what they should have pretty much except for the ones that are in question. But the ones that they did pay out on, I am certain that they had requested medical records from the beginning. And so why the information from that claim isn't available to the appeals claims, I don't understand. They tell me it's not and that's kind of crazy. Because my vet has had to do like triple work in finding this information.

We have another puppy and we went with a different insurance company because AKC's rates and the way they structure things changed drastically from when we had this initial policy in 2003. The way they changed everything made a difference. I was ready to go with them again and then I got a look at everything and I found it all confusing. Before, it was straightforward. It was a pain in the ** getting the stuff from the vet or getting the signature. It was doable but now, they changed everything so I might as well try somebody else. And the one we're with now, their limits are a little more in my favor as far as the CCL reconstructions. If she blows one and next year blows the other, they'll pay for both.

With the policy I had with our last dog, that would not have happened. So there's some differences. I'm not bashing AKC. I'm not complaining. I'm just letting them know and I have been really happy with what we had. It served us well and it actually was quite a godsend when she had her cruciate ligament repaired and when she got really sick last year. So without it, we would have made a decision early on that I didn't want to have to make. So it was good and I was grateful that we had it. It's just some things they might want to think of to tweak.

Hi Kari,

I have passed this along to my claims manager and will keep a close eye on this to make sure all is resolved. It's always a pleasure to hear from a policyholder since we started!

Reviewed Jan. 2, 2015

My dog had a torn ligament in her knee and there have been quite a few expenses that has been incurred from that injury since last June. Actually, she needed an ACL surgery that was back in October and AKC has been very good to me. I have been a policyholder with AKC Pet Insurance in the last 4 years. It's been great and I've had no issues. I would advise getting pet insurance to anyone. You'll never know when you're going to need it. You think something's not going to happen and it can.

Pinned
      Hi Penny, I am so glad we were able to help with your dogs ligament issues. It's common and costly. Thanks for sharing the value of our pet insurance!

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2014

I've been a policy holder with AKC Pet Insurance for 6 years. I heard about it through the breeder that I got my dog from when he was a puppy. I've never had a dog so I wanted him to be insured just to be on the safe side. Recently, I had to use it when our dog had to get surgery and the whole process was easy.

Pinned
      Hi Heather, it's always good to hear from a long time policyholder. I am glad that we were able to help you when you need it. Here's to great health in 2015!

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2014

I signed up for the 60 day trial plan for my new lab puppy. Sign-up was easy- just a few clicks online. I quickly learned the value of insurance a few weeks later when my puppy became very sick with GI tract upset. He had to be hospitalized for 2 days with IV fluids and even needed bloodwork to ensure that he didn't have parvo. I submitted my claim a few days later to the AKC Pet Healthcare Plan. The claim form was easy to complete. I received my check within two weeks! I understand that most claims take about a month, but they beat their timeframe! Unexpected emergencies can be very expensive and two days at the vet would have put a huge dent in my pocketbook without this policy! Thank you, AKC Pet Healthcare Plan!

Pinned

Thanks Jay for the feedback. I am so glad you enrolled in the complementary trial!

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2014

We have been a policy holders with AKC for five years since we bought Paulo from the breeder. We filed his AKC papers and the information was in there when he came back. We really don't have to use it that much, thank goodness. When we do, it really never meets even the deductible. We usually have something small year after year. This year was the first time I had put in, and I thought I was going to use it big because he had a growth on his gums. He was supposed to go to a doggy dentist and have it removed, but it removed by itself. The only thing I had was all the office visits from when he had go. I claimed for like 3 or 4 visits, and they said it was in claims, but I haven't heard from them yet.

Having pet insurance is very valuable. I tried telling other people about this. Even though I don't use it, it gives me peace of mind that I know if I had to, it's there. I'm happy with them and I will continue using it as long as the policy is going

Customer Service

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2014

I had changed from the insurance that I had to the AKC insurance a little over a month ago. For our little 6-pounder toy fox terrier it's very important to have insurance because he's so small that he could get hurt anywhere doing anything. I've gotten a few emails from the AKC that are informative too and I appreciate that.

Pinned

Welcome to the family Mary! Glad we can give you and your toy fox terrier peace-of-mind.

AKC Pet Insurance

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2014

I am on 60 day free trial period with AKC Pet Insurance. They're really polite on the phone. They seem ok and very competitive compared with the others. I get a lot of emails about pet insurance I don't know which one to get. Some of the others have the same thing but looking at the reviews, theirs look pretty good. I haven't used the insurance yet, I just have all the paper work. My puppy is only six months old. He has bronchitis or something and he's on antibiotics. I'm not sure if it is actually covered but I already paid for him. I don't know how it works. The pet insurance seems ok to me.

Hi Edward,

Please submit a claim form so we can help you with this bill. https://www.akcpetinsurance.com/library/res/akc/files/claim_form.pdf.

Typically a claim like this would be eligible under the 60-day trial as long as it didn't occur during the 14 day illness waiting period.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

919-926-2740

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2014

I'd recommend having AKC. I learned about them from the breeder, and so far my experience with them has been wonderful. Having a pet insurance is a hundred percent valuable. If you are human, you need insurance. So if pets have insurance, that's a good thing to do.

Pinned

Thanks for being a policyholder Winifred! Glad you believe in the value and security this brings you and your furry family.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2014

One of my pets was registered with AKC Pet Insurance for two years. He's a service dog and I take him to dog shows and stuff.

Pinned

Thanks for being a policyholder Ricky!

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2014

I registered my dog with AKC and chose their pet insurance because of the free trial. I put in two claims during the free trial period and haven't heard anything back from them, so as far as being updated on claims, they don't do the job. I followed up once and they said the response time is set to 60 days. I don't find that acceptable either, so I'm not renewing or I'll just let it expire after the free trial.

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2014

I learned about AKC Pet Insurance when I insured my first dog and have been a policy holder with AKC for 7 years. It's extremely valuable. I like the fact that they cover prophylaxis medicines and spay, neuter, and vaccination.

Preston,

Thanks for being such a long time policyholder and taking advantage of our wellness coverage. Our wellness coverage is the best industry!

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2014

I was very pleased with AKC. My puppy had an accident and I have submitted a claim, so I'm hoping to continue with the insurance. I have other dogs that are AKC-registered. I registered my dog with the AKC and the insurance came back and I think now having a pet insurance is very valuable.

Pinned

Thanks for being a policyholder Mary! Get a 5% multi-pet discount when you insure more than one furry family member. Call 1-866-725-2747 to add another pet.

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2014

I first hear about AKC Pet Insurance from a friend. It has been very helpful to me, and I'm gonna need it here real soon for my dog too. It's very valuable to have a pet insurance, like a big plus. My dog is a very high-end dog and they've been there for everything. I'll be using them here shortly soon, within a month. Great experience with them.

Pinned

Terri, so glad you have had a great experience with us! For us you and your dogs are our family!

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2014

I registered my dog for a trial 2-month entry. It’s a very energetic breed, so it’s likely to be into anything. And I just found out that this dog’s littermate has hereditary disease, which means my dog could have one. I’ve been pushing everybody online the importance for getting pet insurance. I have no problems with AKC. I’ve been showing dogs for 30-semied years and dealing with AKC all the time.

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2014

My dog was registered with the AKC. They gave him the 30 days free insurance when I bought him, and then I had the option to pick it up and I did. I had no idea at first about pet insurance providers. I didn't even know there was such a thing. But they're wonderful. Unfortunately, the dog is really sickly and they've always covered him. Whenever I contact them, you always get someone on the line. You don't wait forever. They're very, very helpful. I have recommended them to a lot of my friends because I've heard horror stories about other pet insurance firms. It will be nine years in December since I've been with them.

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2014

I got a free two-month subscription from AKC insurance when I registered my dog a month ago. I had to call them to get some information about some forms I needed because I had to take my dog to the emergency and they were very helpful. They sent me the forms right over and it was good, no problem at all. With the type of dog I have, I have been told that they do have some health needs and it is always better to get insurance on them. I've already actually had to use it twice and it's been helpful. I will definitely keep it once my free trial expires. Everything is fine with AKC, they're very good and I would definitely recommend it to other people.

Pinned

Claudia. I'm so glad you enrolled in our free trial and it helped you save money at the vet. Thanks for the great feedback and we look forward to many years of good health!

Marketing Manager at AKC Pet Insurance

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2014

We had been a policy holder with AKC for about 10 years or more and having a pet insurance is very valuable. I chose them over other pet insurance providers because the pricing was reasonable, the coverage looked good, and it was a reputable name. For people like us, we don't want to give up. We just want to take care of them and give them the best quality of life that we can. The insurance allowed us to do that. We had one dog, Dillon and he needed a spleen removed and we ended up in a doggy emergency room. It was a $3000 bill for emergency surgery to put him back together again and AKC insurance covered all but just a miniscule amount of that, and that was amazing. That was great. Then he did develop cancer and he even needed blood transfusions and that was also covered. That was awesome.

We just recently added another dog to our insurance so I spoke to someone about adding another one and how to go about that and how to change the payment, and she was very helpful, very pleasant. The experience with AKC was excellent. We have recommended it to anybody who asked us what insurance we have.

Hi Nancy,
      It's always good to hear from a policyholder that has been with us for a decade. We are one of the older pet insurance companies and I am glad we can say we have helped you make decisions not solely based on cost for 10 years!
      Thanks,

Marketing Manager at AKC Pet Insurance

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2014

I decided to look into acquiring pet insurance because it was offered with AKC when I registered my golden retriever. Then my dog got really sick and had to be in the vet clinic overnight for four nights. I sent a claim in and I’ve gotten nothing. It occurred months ago so I’m not happy with it at all. I had the initial policy and then I signed up for it and since I heard nothing at all for my claim, I cancelled them.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2014

I just submitted my first claim with AKC Pet Insurance and I haven't gotten a response from it yet. They did receive it and they've been very polite and very kind. When I called to set things up, I wish it wasn't as expensive as it was, but they were able to help me and assure me that everything would be taken care of. Their filing process was very easy. I just claimed it in, got an email and that was really cool. I already have recommended AKC Pet Insurance to friends.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2014

I filed one claim with AKC and they processed it, and sent me back whatever the difference was and everything was fine. I have no complaints. The experience was very enjoyable. They handled all their business professionally.

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2014

The last time I called, the customer service rep I got was very rude to me; however, I have called around some other insurance companies. They sent me a booklet in the mail, letting me know what was covered. Then they said that it would take 30 days to get my reimbursement for visits and vaccinations, shots, and all that. The vet had recommended somebody too because they have never heard of AKC and they were having a hard time getting them to work with them as well.

Having pet insurance is very valuable. And everything else with AKC has been okay. But right now, I'm just not very satisfied. They don't seem to be very reliable as far as me getting my money back. They're not telling me the percentage of what's covered, and customer service doesn't have very much patience over the phone. That really turned me off.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2014

When I got my dog registered, I had a 60-day free trial for AKC Pet Insurance. When my dog got sick, I took it to the vet and it just so happened that during that time, I had the 60-day free trial. That's when I called in and asked that they help me with the deal. So now I've had them for about ten months. I paid a lot of money for my dog and vet vendor is already expensive. The insurance is convenient and very handy. Dogs can get sick anytime, especially full-bred dogs.

Pinned

Thanks Ricky for the kind words. We are so glad we could be there during your time of need. Dogs can get sick at anytime, even puppies and we're glad to help!

Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2014

I've been with AKC for 8 years. I liked their coverage so we added another dog but I was extremely disappointed with the fact that I have been a customer for over 8 years and that a different plan was available for my other dog, but because he turned 2 in March, they would no longer even allow us to be grandfathered. I have always been told that genetic problems would be covered, but now I find out it's no longer covered. In addition I have a corgi who does not have a genetic arthritis but due to another issue is developing arthritis, they will not cover that either, which I find highly disappointing for the amount of money that I've spent on health insurance.

The policy has been very valuable though I am reconsidering with the type of customer service I'm receiving at this point. I could probably go out where I could get better customer service. I guess they don't want my $500 a month, so I'd spend it someplace else. I really feel that if I had been a customer for over eight years, that even though my dog was 2 months over 2 years and I've had genetic tests and he does not have genetic problems, that I should have been informed and at least given the option of changing plans, as opposed to being told 'Sorry, you're out of luck.'

Factual basis uncertain

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2014

I signed up with AKC Pet Insurance because it was the least expensive of all pet insurance providers. I had it for almost a year. Everything was fine and I had no problem. But I don't have them anymore because my cat's an indoor cat and she's very healthy, so I decided not to continue the insurance. Initially, I signed up for it because I'd never had it before, and my cat's a senior, so I wanted to make sure she was covered for anything that may happen. Having the pet insurance is valuable if you need it. I didn't need it at the time though. But AKC's staff were easy to deal with so I had a very good experience.