2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.43/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through its incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. AKC’s customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My vet had handed me the thing on AKC and it seemed like a reasonable deal to do it that way, and he’d given me something on it. They had a 30-day introductory deal on it, so it seemed like it was easy enough to say yes to and then do it later on. We had one claim about four months ago for some kind of a stomach issue and ran up a pretty hefty bill, and they handled it for us. I thought they were fair. The way they explained it was clear.

I'm kind of bad customer for insurance ‘cause I usually feel like I'm willing to cover the risk myself, but the vet had said, “Why don’t you just get it and try it for a year or two and see if you like it over." It was some kind of a period of time. Obviously, whatever insurance you get if you don’t use it for the first year, it’s easy to say that was a waste of money. I shouldn’t have it. You can always talk yourself out of it, if you don’t need it. If you do need, it’s like, “Oh, we got smart to get it.” So, it depends on that regard. But the people in customer service were certainly nice enough. They got a snafu with the policy number change on something and somebody looked at it, was very reasonable, got right back to me and fixed it. So, the problem was handled.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

When we adopted a couple of dogs, I looked into AKC Pet Insurance as one of my options and decided to go ahead with them. We've had their policy for a little over two years now and so far, so good. My recent experience with them has been easy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I registered my Lab and AKC Pet Insurance was part of the offer. It was just a trial and then I called three times, and then I subscribed over the phone, then went back online to verify. I've had it for two months now and I have a pending claim.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We got a purebred Bichon and we registered her with the AKC and then we got some information on the pet insurance. We went with AKC because it was convenient. They gave us one month of free pet insurance as well. The free month was up, so I extended it. Our experience with them was good. They’re very helpful. During that month, I had to submit a claim. Our Bichon has ear infections. She was scratching a lot and if we touched her ears, it was painful. We got the dog from a breeder when she was seven months old. Bichons grow hair in their ear and the breeder never cleaned that out. So, over time, after we got her, it became very infected, which we didn’t realize.

I had to take the dog for a follow-up with my vet. Then the vet explained the shape of the ear canal which is why the groomer didn’t see the hair that was impacted in a different area of the ear canal. She could only see what was on the outside of the ear, and it was deep inside. And my vet said that probably occurred way back when the dog was still with the breeder. The claim was put in and I haven't heard back from AKC. They needed all the paperwork which I’ve just sent in this week. So, they’re reviewing it, but they’ve been on top of everything. They were very helpful in customizing the type of insurance I needed, and adding on and taking out what I didn’t want.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I searched pet insurance on Google and AKC was the first one to come up. I looked at what their policies included and it satisfied everything I needed. They had good ratings as well. I haven't had to use it so far but everything seems to be fine if I do need to use it. Everyone that I talked to has been very sweet with me.

Hi Isabella,

Thanks so much for choosing AKC Pet Insurance and for taking the time to leave a review! I'm glad you've had a good customer service experience! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 11, 2019

When I got my dog, it was AKC registered but then when I went through the policy with them for submitting claims and went through the arbitration process with them to go back through the claims, it took months and months. Thereafter, they denied my claim. Now I've canceled my policy and I'm with Pets Best.

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor experience and decided to cancel your policy. I wish we could have better met your needs. I'm not sure of the details of you particular issue, but we greatly value our customer's feedback and would be happy to talk with you over the phone to hear your concerns. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for the Customer Care Supervisor. I wish you and your dog the very best.

Take care,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 10, 2019

I've been using AKC Pet Insurance for 20 years. We go back three or four dogs with them. Our dog was a pedigree and it was recommended through AKC. However, the policy has gotten way too expensive at $99 a month. I'm not really happy. Still, everything has been fine thus far.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for leaving a review and thanks for being such a loyal, longtime customer. I'm sorry to hear your premiums have increased. Rates do go up as pets age and the cost of veterinary care increases. We would be more than happy to speak with you over the phone about your policy and see if any adjustments can be made to your coverage to better fit your needs and budget. Please don't hesitate to call us.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 9, 2019

In signing up with AKC, I got the first 30 days free. I actually had an event during that period and submitted a claim. My thinking was if they responded to the claim and took care of it, I’d go ahead and continue the insurance, and if they didn’t, then they were not worth my time and I was not gonna do it. They responded and took care of the event even though it was like a free period, and I signed up with them.

They were fairly easy to get in contact with every single time I tried to call them. The original payment they were sending me on the event I had with the puppy didn't get to me for whatever reason. I called them and they direct deposited the next day. It was easy. Even though there seems to be a mistake, they made up for it really quickly. So far, it zeroes out, which is all I can really hope for. My theory is, say, the dog was 10 years. There's probably gonna be a lot more payout on their part in the last few and a lot more pay-in on my part for the first year just because of age. So over the whole time, if it ends up being flat, I’d be happy.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for leaving a review! I'm glad we were able to help you while on your 30-day policy. I'm so glad you decided to continue your coverage with us. I'm sorry that you ran into some trouble with your claim reimbursement but I'm glad we were able to remedy the issue quickly! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 8, 2019

AKC Pet Insurance was affiliated with AKC, and that was what we went through when we got our puppies. It was convenient. However, I cancelled the insurance policy. Once I kinda went through all the fine print with it, my biggest concern was knee injuries with the breed and knee surgeries weren’t covered under the policy. I’m okay with little things and small bills, but the knee surgery is like 3,500 bucks. So, if it wasn’t covered by the policy, there was no point in keeping it. Having pet insurance is valuable if it covers the right things that you need.

Hi Jon,

I'm sorry that the coverage on your plan didn't meet your needs. The knee surgery that I think you are referring to would be eligible for coverage under our hereditary and congenital endorsement that can be added on to your base plan. We made our plans to be customizable, which allows pet owners to choose their own limits and coverage and build a plan that fits their individual needs and budget. I'm sorry that your plan didn't work for you. If there is ever anything we can do for you in the future, we would be happy to help.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 4, 2019

When I purchased my animal from the breeder, she told me about AKC Pet. I looked up a bunch of them and they had good insurance. I went with them but then I've had a lousy experience thus far. It took AKC four months to settle a claim. I submitted it and then they said that I had to send my animal's shot records. I did that and they sent me another thing that said I had to go to the vet and get a copy of the medical record. Thereafter, I haven't received a check from them. It wasn't even a $1,000 claim. It was only 50 or 60 bucks. It wasn't something that should have taken a whole lot of brainstorming to do especially when I'm paying a $100 a month for pet insurance.

Hi Vernon,

I'm sorry to hear you had a poor claim experience. Our normal claim turnaround time is under seven days. Occasionally, we do need to request additional medical records to accurately process a claim. We typically request those directly from your veterinarian. If we can't get them from your vet, we will reach out to the customer to attain them. I'm sorry that this particular claim required so much effort on your part. It appears that we sent you a reimbursement check on June 19th. If you did not receive that check, please contact us right away so that we can look into it.

Again, I'm sorry we couldn't be of more assistance to you. I wish you and your dog the very best.

Take care,