2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through its incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. AKC’s customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Everything’s been going good with AKC so far. I’m a little disappointed in part because of the reimbursements that I’ve been receiving. I have a top-of-the-notch insurance. I can’t pay any more. I have five pets, and I just don’t seem to be getting reimbursed like I used to when I had two Australian Shepherds. Now, I have three little Shelties and I’m not really pleased. I had been investigating other insurance companies. Sometimes I’ll submit a claim for maybe $500, and I might get like a $120 back. It’s not worth my while to have the insurance if that’s how my rates are going to be when I reimburse.

I’ve been with AKC over 15 years. Initially, when it didn't seem like I was getting enough reimbursement back, I called them about three years ago. I said, “Okay, I’m gonna get the top-of-the-notch insurance so I can get more money back with my claim.” But it seems to be like it’s less than more and I’m paying so much more. I pay about $498 for my five pets, and it’s not worth my while. I don’t get anywhere near that back because I don’t file that many claims to begin with. I had a vet bill just recently with my one Sheltie that’s only six years old. I had the teeth cleaned and out of about $500, I just got something like $150 back. I’m thinking, “What's the use?” I'll just save that $500 a month, and when something goes wrong, I'll have that money to pay for the vet bill. So, I’m disappointed in the amount of reimbursements.

When I had my Australian Shepherds and I would have their teeth cleaned, it seemed like I was getting at least maybe $400 back out of the teeth cleaning. Now, it’s just considerably less and it’s not right for me anymore. I’m paying more money. I wanna keep my pets covered. I’ve a vet-mentality that I definitely want them covered, but I’m getting tired of paying close to $6,000 a year and getting 1,000 back.

I know a lot of people go with AKC, and this is one of the reasons I did. They have show dogs and they want the best of care for them. When I had my Australian Shepherds, I felt the same way. I did get very good reimbursements at the time. But then, they fooled around and changed the policies and changed the reimbursements. And to me, they screwed it up and made it worse than before. They probably weren’t making enough money from people. I will explore other insurance companies. I have four I’m reviewing now. I would rather stay with AKC, but I refuse to pay the dollar amount I’ve paid them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance has not been real good. I feel I’m locked into it because of pre-existing conditions. My dog Cleopatra is an English mastiff, and she had surgery because of entropion. AKC said it was a pre-existing condition. That’s not necessarily true because she had conjunctivitis, and that could’ve caused it. Other companies would’ve covered it. Then at the daycare, she broke a tooth. It was accidentally broken, but AKC wouldn’t cover it. I went to a specialist, and the extraction and the root canal were almost the same amount of money. The specialist said that because it was a canine and she’s a mastiff, they could break her jaw. I was denied that, so I paid for the root canal. Now, my premium’s gone up almost $100 a month and with a $5,000 limit. I’m not recommending AKC to people. I’ve gone online, which I should have done in the first place, and I’m recommending two other companies.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Right after we got our Golden Retriever, she contracted something from some other dogs at a dog park and she was really sick. We took her to the doctor and the AKC health insurance really helped us a lot. It saved us quite a bit of money. The bill was gonna be like $2,400 and after the insurance, it only cost us $900. Then recently, my wife took our dog in for a hurt foot. We weren't able to file a claim ‘cause it wasn’t big enough but we had met the deductible. I’ve had VPI in the past with my other dog and AKC was better.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My vet had handed me the thing on AKC and it seemed like a reasonable deal to do it that way, and he’d given me something on it. They had a 30-day introductory deal on it, so it seemed like it was easy enough to say yes to and then do it later on. We had one claim about four months ago for some kind of a stomach issue and ran up a pretty hefty bill, and they handled it for us. I thought they were fair. The way they explained it was clear.

I'm kind of bad customer for insurance ‘cause I usually feel like I'm willing to cover the risk myself, but the vet had said, “Why don’t you just get it and try it for a year or two and see if you like it over." It was some kind of a period of time. Obviously, whatever insurance you get if you don’t use it for the first year, it’s easy to say that was a waste of money. I shouldn’t have it. You can always talk yourself out of it, if you don’t need it. If you do need, it’s like, “Oh, we got smart to get it.” So, it depends on that regard. But the people in customer service were certainly nice enough. They got a snafu with the policy number change on something and somebody looked at it, was very reasonable, got right back to me and fixed it. So, the problem was handled.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

When we adopted a couple of dogs, I looked into AKC Pet Insurance as one of my options and decided to go ahead with them. We've had their policy for a little over two years now and so far, so good. My recent experience with them has been easy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I registered my Lab and AKC Pet Insurance was part of the offer. It was just a trial and then I called three times, and then I subscribed over the phone, then went back online to verify. I've had it for two months now and I have a pending claim.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We got a purebred Bichon and we registered her with the AKC and then we got some information on the pet insurance. We went with AKC because it was convenient. They gave us one month of free pet insurance as well. The free month was up, so I extended it. Our experience with them was good. They’re very helpful. During that month, I had to submit a claim. Our Bichon has ear infections. She was scratching a lot and if we touched her ears, it was painful. We got the dog from a breeder when she was seven months old. Bichons grow hair in their ear and the breeder never cleaned that out. So, over time, after we got her, it became very infected, which we didn’t realize.

I had to take the dog for a follow-up with my vet. Then the vet explained the shape of the ear canal which is why the groomer didn’t see the hair that was impacted in a different area of the ear canal. She could only see what was on the outside of the ear, and it was deep inside. And my vet said that probably occurred way back when the dog was still with the breeder. The claim was put in and I haven't heard back from AKC. They needed all the paperwork which I’ve just sent in this week. So, they’re reviewing it, but they’ve been on top of everything. They were very helpful in customizing the type of insurance I needed, and adding on and taking out what I didn’t want.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I searched pet insurance on Google and AKC was the first one to come up. I looked at what their policies included and it satisfied everything I needed. They had good ratings as well. I haven't had to use it so far but everything seems to be fine if I do need to use it. Everyone that I talked to has been very sweet with me.

Hi Isabella,

Thanks so much for choosing AKC Pet Insurance and for taking the time to leave a review! I'm glad you've had a good customer service experience! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

Best,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 11, 2019

When I got my dog, it was AKC registered but then when I went through the policy with them for submitting claims and went through the arbitration process with them to go back through the claims, it took months and months. Thereafter, they denied my claim. Now I've canceled my policy and I'm with Pets Best.

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor experience and decided to cancel your policy. I wish we could have better met your needs. I'm not sure of the details of you particular issue, but we greatly value our customer's feedback and would be happy to talk with you over the phone to hear your concerns. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for the Customer Care Supervisor. I wish you and your dog the very best.

Take care,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 10, 2019

I've been using AKC Pet Insurance for 20 years. We go back three or four dogs with them. Our dog was a pedigree and it was recommended through AKC. However, the policy has gotten way too expensive at $99 a month. I'm not really happy. Still, everything has been fine thus far.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for leaving a review and thanks for being such a loyal, longtime customer. I'm sorry to hear your premiums have increased. Rates do go up as pets age and the cost of veterinary care increases. We would be more than happy to speak with you over the phone about your policy and see if any adjustments can be made to your coverage to better fit your needs and budget. Please don't hesitate to call us.

Best,