2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.1/5 (770 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: June 23, 2021

June 12-19 we rented a condo in Myrtle Beach in Arcadian 2 # 3F, what a beautiful condo, very big and a wonderful view of the ocean, spacious balcony and the decor throughout was beautifully done. The owner was very nice and kept in contact once in a while to make sure everything was to our liking, I would recommend this property to anyone, you won't be disappointed!

Original review: May 15, 2021

As a VRBO host it was difficult. We were made to replace all the sheets and towels with white, all the wine glasses had to be the same, we had to hire a cleaning company to make sure everything was clean. BUT, had I been a VRBO client, it would have been perfect.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I stayed in a VRBO in Moab. It was a duplex with lots of room and a large yard just south of town. Brand new! Hot a wonderful hot tub that was very clean. It also came with a gas fire pit that we did not use. We could not stay awake long enough after our biking adventures for the dark. Well stocked. New appliances.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I am usually lucky in finding places to stay while on vacation by using this site. I love the reviews others leave that have stayed at that location as it helps me determine if it's right or not. There are also usually multiple choices of different locations in the area so I'm not just tied down to one choice. The different ways you can filter for the right location help.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I have always had good experiences working with the owners through VRBO. I have not had issues with payments, accommodations, refunds, etc. My advice is to read the details and inspect the photos posted as well as communicate directly with the owners as to the specific needs you have.... How close to the beach, pet policies, etc.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I tried to book a house for a vacation, I contacted the host. She said the house wasn’t rentable and she did let him know the VRBO about it. I try to again book 2nd house. When I talk to the host, she mentioned the house was sold three years ago yet still in VRBO website. They took my money twice and then when I requested a refund they play you and send you from my department to department to not give your money back. They are the worst company I ever dealt with. Please book through some other website or book a hotel instead.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

We rented our house through VRBO. The tenant came, took the keys, he stayed and stated he was paying using money from the insurance company b/c his house was in need of repair. American Express and VRBO took the side of the tenant and they are now taking the money back, despite the fact that we cannot go back in time and re-rent the house to someone else after the agreement was signed.

Case: The tenant is a resident of the same county as our house, they requested to rent the house b/c their house was under renovation and stated that the rent was covered by the insurance company. The insurance company allotted them money to find a rental, as their house was being repaired. The tenant came to inspect our house, they were happy with the house and took possession with a no cancelation clause. The tenant took possession of our house and they notified us shortly after, maybe a week, that they were not happy with the house. They left our house and requested the money they received from the insurance company back to them. They now have pocketed the insurance money. To me this sounds like insurance fraud... Are we the charge back house!? Like all people who get money from insurance can pocket the money and commit the same fraud..!?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I booked a property in April 2021 to go on a trip to Hilton Head Island the first week in August. I Was in constant contact with the owner asking questions on the home and mailing sure it had certain amenities. VRBO took the first payment no problem of $3000 and said my reservation was secure so my family and I started to plan our beach trip. The second payment was due and I went to go make it and I couldn't make it and it said “the house is no longer available, pick a different property.” I called VRBO customer care and the woman said, "Oh that’s not a problem. It should clear up in 12 hours." I said, "Are you sure? Because I don’t want to lose the property." She assured me it would be fine. Then, a week went by and I still could not pay.

I was trying to contact the property host, no response, his phone number was disconnected. I called VRBO customer care and they told me I was “not to worry” and gave me another number to reach the property owner. The phone number just kept ringing and ringing. One week before we were about to leave I finally got a response from the property host Steve and he said “it appears the house was double booked.” That was the explanation so I called VRBO customer care again, my phone was call was dropped. I had to explain the same thing to another customer care Agent. They will not let you go to any other department so I had to stay with customer care. They gave me a case number and told me to let the property owner message me in 48 hours.

Well, I waited and we are going into the week we are going to be leaving. Still no answer, 4 days of pure torture wondering if we had the house or not. Called customer care again, they said they “do not see it double booked, but cannot promise it was not booked with another site?” Lo and behold I received an email with my full refund being processed and no explanation from the property host. We are out of our beach family vacation. We rented the house because we could bring a dog and it also had a private pool to come back from the beach 3 houses away.

VRBO says they guarantee you a house around the “same price with same amenities.” Well, the day of my refund I called VRBO customer care with my case number, they searched the entire state of South Carolina and I believe the girl I had Never heard of it. She was like “can you spell that for me?” It was not helpful at all, I asked if she could transfer me to a higher department and she said “they would basically do the same thing.” Basically she gave me other properties not near the beach or even pet friendly.

I will never use this site again and I definitely am telling people about this experience because in all my years booking trips I have never had an experience like this. It is the week we are supposed to be at the beach and we are sitting at home now because of this. 4 kids, 4 adults Did not get to go to the beach because property hosts with VRBO can cancel at any time and have no consequences. Terrible service, terrible experience altogether.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

On 24 June I booked a property through VRBO for a stay in Orlando with Casiola Vacation Homes from 26 July - 9 August. When I arrived the property was filthy, sheets bloodied and soiled and I made a determination that I had to leave immediately for the health and wellbeing of my family especially since I had small children. I contacted VRBO immediately but they were not helpful. After several hours and as many calls on the phone I was told I had to contact the host myself as they could not issue a refund as the Host was a "premier host" and they had to process it themselves.

I was astonished because there is an expectation that when you book through platforms such as VRBO etc. that it acts as a "cushion" between yourself and the property host in the event there is an issue they will act on your behalf. The entire idea of such platforms is that they provide security from unscrupulous behavior, this is NOT the case with VRBO. I ended up contacting the Host myself and they gave me a partial refund.

When I was alerted by my credit card company that I did not get all of the money spent on the rental which was well over $3000 I immediately contacted the Host and VRBO only to be told by the Host that they were withholding my money for two nights (when I left immediately) and a cleaning fee (this in itself was laughable); VRBO then told me they could not refund me my $311 because I was only given a "partial refund" by the Host. I was not directed to that Policy nor did I see it on their website.

I booked this rental because it had all 5 star reviews. Since Covid, cleanliness has been a top priority for me, so when I saw the photos and the reviews which all said it was clean and in a good area I decided to move ahead with the booking. However, I should have noted the red flags from the inception they did not list the Host. All it said was "premier host", had they listed the Host I could have undertaken a review of this Company and I would have ran away from this listing. A simple search engine search would reveal the poor ratings for Casiola, they have bad reviews for cleanliness and unscrupulous practices on several platforms and as many claims on BBB.

I am disappointed with VRBO and the handling of my matter. They did absolutely nothing to help me and now they too are withholding money when I called them also on the day of check-in and told them of my issues and sent photographic evidence. I have been given NO support by them, and this is the last time I would be using their service.

Original review: July 31, 2021

Rented a condo from a owner Mark ** July 24, 25 2021 at Northern Bay Resort in Wisconsin. He knew about the AC that did not work and never contacted us. We had a party of 10 people (family get together) and the temp outside was in the mid 90's both days. Inside the condo temp was in the 80's. He told us when I called him the compressor needs to be replaced and it would take 2 weeks to get parts. We asked for a refund for all of our inconvenience and he said no, because we stayed. We tried to book another place similar, everything was booked and he didn't care. Sleeping was impossible. The owner of the condo just said he is sorry too bad so sad. He told us not to open the windows either. I will not rent from that inconsiderate fool again.

VRBO.com Company Information