3.3/5 (1335 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

This company is a total scam with unscrupulous leaders. I was approached by VRBO leader Matthew ** to post my timeshare weeks with this company for a conference being held in Orlando, FL. I was told by Mr. ** that the booking was guaranteed as he was working directly with the conference coordinators. 6 months later and no booking and they refuse to refund me my money!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I have had two negative experiences with VRBO.com.

1) They rented me a property that was a scam. I was able to call the actual owners of the building and they told me that fraudsters were advertising a fake property there. I presented VRBO.com the facts from the owners themselves and they told me they did not have to refund me as the letter from the owner did not prove the apartment didn't belong to the person advertising it. I will also mention that the owners of the building/apartment, which is one of the largest property developers in London, told me they had already warned VRBO.com of the scams.

2) I rented a property in Miami that turned out to be legit, but not actually available. I was refunded the money, but due to exchange rates, I lost out on the refund. I called VRBO to ask them to refund the difference and they told me that they aren't responsible for refunds and that it's entirely up to the property owner. When I asked who collected the money and held it from my credit card, they told me they did. So to reiterate, Vrbo takes your money, and processes it, but is not accountable for actually having to refund you the correct amount.

They are unscrupulous in the way they run their business and I would definitely advise you to stay away.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

We had a reservation in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico has a Travel Advisory for Non-Essential Travel due to disaster from Hurricane Fiona. When contacted customer service, they didn’t offer any assistance on trying to cancel our reservation. VRBO is doing nothing to help Us. Every time we have talked to them we get the same automatic response. This is just insane. We ended canceling our trip, but ended $1,115 in the hole. Travelers beware! Look for other options prior to booking and avoid the travel cancellation insurance, they will no reimburse neither.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Booked a room through VRBO which was connected to Airriva. Airriva then texted me to ask again for my credit card information, the nature of my stay and where I currently live. I then had to complete two separate rental agreements through Airriva. All of this was on top of what of the booking that was done through VRBO. THIS IS A SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I rented a cabin in Cherokee NC for Labor Day weekend 2022. As soon as I arrived at the cabin I checked for cleanliness, as I do everywhere I stay. Upon looking at the beds I immediately seen bed bugs, I called the property owner and she told me to send her pics and she would refund my money. After paying VRBO $445 for 2 days I had to go to a local hotel and pay an additional $420, I contacted VRBO and emailed them pics of bugs all over the bed. Vrbo said that because they couldn't determine whether it was bed bugs or another kind of bug that the property owner didn't have to refund my money.

I stayed less than 30 minutes and left due to a bug infestation and because VRBO couldn't determine what type of bugs were all over the bed they were ok with charging me $445! In my opinion, it shouldn't matter if VRBO can tell what type of bugs are crawling all over both beds!! Any type of bug infestation should be a problem but since VRBO allows their property owners to rent nasty bug-infested properties, I will never use them again! To make it all worse, they refused to post my review of the property even after I edited it to the exact guidelines they sent me to edit it by, however, they let the property owner rate me as a bad guest, I spent approximately 20 minutes at the property and never even unloaded my luggage, how on earth was I a bad guest??

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Property rental #2876487, PA Texas, Mgr. Life in Paradise, 9/14-9/19: advertised price per nite $830 actual paid over $1,200 with hot tub and cart (total bill included $295.00 cleaning fee). If you want the hot tub 'hot' extra charge, if you do not dispose of trash extra charge (not sure what the trash cans are for) AND what did I pay the $295 cleaning fee for, if you do not clean the grill extra cleaning fee, again what is the cleaning fee for? Property was dirty, my wife's feet were black after walking on the floors. The pictures show a spacious house, in fact small rooms stacked on top of each other. In order to use the cart they have a contract releasing LIP from liability and that requires a trip of several miles to get the key. Life in Paradise is very evasive in responding to our request for information including lying. AND if you attempt to write a negative review that would go on their web for this property, they refuse to publish it

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Never use VRBO. We paid $900 to rent an apartment in Paris for 3 days/nights. Two days after the cancellation period expired, the owner contacted us and told us that we had to agree to her "Formalities." In addition to all sorts of weird statements about claustrophobic rooms and narrow stairs, the Formalities included a demand that we agree to clean the toilets (despite the fact that the rental fee included a cleaning fee), fill out a Fiche de Police with our birthdates and other personal information, and send copies of the Fiches de Police and our passports to her.

French law can require hotels and other tourist lodging to require the Fiche de Police and identification upon check-in. It does not require sending copies of the documents in advance to total strangers. That's a fantastic recipe for identity theft. When we contacted VRBO to tell them about the demands, VRBO told us that we were outside of the cancellation window so they could do nothing. We will never rent through VRBO again. They are terrible and they clearly have no interest in protecting renters' personal information and preventing identity theft.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

VRBO will allow guests to break rules and cause damage to owners' property without recourse. We had a tenant come to the property and immediately break rules. Once made aware of the rules they were breaking they were asked to leave. They didn't leave instead stayed the night and continued to break the rules that they were told they broke. The reservation was canceled by us because of this and the renters were able to leave a false negative review of our property (Have proof of the lying review left). When speaking to VRBO their "policy" is if they stepped foot on the property they can leave a review. I asked them If I book with all my competitor's properties and left them all negative reviews that it would be OK. She then stated that they cannot remove reviews... This hurts the consumer and other property owners, especially when allowing lying, defamation, and false information in their reviews.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

We currently have a reservation in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico has a Travel Advisory for Non-Essential Travel. The host is refusing to give us our money back $1700. VRBO is doing nothing to help Us. Every time we have talked to them we get the same automatic response. This is just insane. We either go on the trip and hope it ends up being ok or we lose out of $1700.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

VRBO is arguably one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. Their website does not work. I cannot access my reservation on the website or through the confirmation email they sent me. The Vrbo chat system did not work for the first 2 hours that I tried to use it to contact the company this morning. When I tried to call them by phone, I was informed that the hold time was 30 minutes in order to speak with an agent. I waited about 15 minutes and then got cut off of the call. Then I finally got through on the chat system and the agent ended the chat before I could even ask a single question of her!

I am not kidding about any of this. I ultimately was able to get hold directly of the owner and property manager for the rental property and resolved my issue with them. If I could give Vrbo a negative five stars per this rating, I would. I will NEVER EVER again use these bozos and suggest everyone reading this review do the same. I will instead use AirBnB exclusively going forward.

VRBO.com Company Information