2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.60/5

VRBO.com Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Rented a property in Seaside thru VRBO that listed the property managed by Sunburst beach vacations aka Southern Sands. 2 days ago VRBO notified me that something was wrong with situation and to not pay them more than the $2,000 first payment I had made! I checked website immediately and it was shutdown. Called number and no longer working number. Emailed asking for refund. Looked owner Steve ** up to find this guy has been sued countless times and involved in multiple lawsuits from investors and more since 2016. VRBO was also extremely unhelpful with crediting me back asap so I could move forward with another reservation. I even said look just put the amount I've already paid towards another deposit I make today with VRBO because I need another property asap.

After being bounced around multiple times and then told by Traveler security department at VRBO that my case was definitely different since rental co/business imploded and disappeared. They sent me to Traveler Care who I explained all again too. They transferred me back to Traveler Security! The Security said they shouldn't have done that and updated notes and assured I'd be able to use $2,000 I had already paid to reserve another property immediately. So I'm transferred back to Traveler Care.

After 2 hours on the phone with VRBO I'm told to just resolve with American Express after all or wait another 24 hrs for VRBO to contact me and then there will be a claim process that may be lengthy. I said I was shocked by how they were handling and was even going to rent thru site again, but after this I will never! I did get my money back from my credit card company thankfully and instantly as should be. Feel bad for people who had reservations in near future especially if they had to rely on VRBO to help them. While on the phone other properties I was going to reserve were being booked while VRBO wasted my time for 2hrs. I have another property and thankfully did not rent thru VRBO and pay their fee for ultimately doing nothing helpful especially after years of using their site.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

On January 7, 2020 I was trying to book a home in Bermuda with my credit card. The Vrbo site kept saying the card was denied. I tried 3 times thinking I typed something in wrong because the card had a zero balance on it. I called my MC card # and they said the 1st charge did go through, and I said that can't be because I never received a confirmation from Vrbo. So I called Vrbo with my CC company on another phone at the same time and the customer service rep @ Vrbo said the charge did not go through that it was declined. So I opened a dispute with my Mastercard company. I called Vrbo to open a claim on 1/13 and they said someone would look into and get back to me within 48 hours.

I called on 1/15 and the customer service lady said she would escalate my claim and someone would email me back within 48 hrs. I did not hear back from Vrbo so I called again on 1/21 and got a new gentleman that sent me a screenshot that did show that Vrbo charged my card for $3203, but it was on another reservation number that I never received a confirmation for. He then opened another claim # under the new res ID and said someone from billing would be getting back to me within 48hrs. So yesterday on 1/23 I spoke to another lady and she said she was sorry but billing would have to e-mail me that it was out of customer service's hands and I could not talk directly to billing. I have since reached out to BBB and made a claim with them. I'm out $3203 and I don't have a vacation home to go to. This is completely unacceptable. This company need to be shut down.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

My rental was not at all as described, no way was it a luxury unit. The building was perhaps an upper scale condo but the unit itself was 3 star at best. Also, I was not able to leave an honest review despite attempting to contact the company. I suspect the 4 very short 2 sentence reviews I read were bogus. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I booked recently an apartment through VRBO.com. All through the booking process the total price of the booking (including cleaning fees, service fees) was stated 711.08 EUR. After I had entered my CC details, everything seemed fine. But than for some reason no confirmation e-mail was send. This made me a bit suspicious. Later came an e-mail of the property, but there was no information of payment details. I just was asked to fill out my arrival and departure time. That made me even more suspicious. So I asked the property directly (as they contacted me directly) to send me any payment details. And they did and again, the total sum stated was 711.08 EUR.

Than I checked my bank account the other day and saw that I have been charged twice for my booking. First withdrawal of 77.44 EUR was on the 16.01. from YPS* HOMEAWAY DROGHEDA CO IE. The second withdrawal later on the 16.01. of 711.08 EUR of the apartment directly. On the booking it said, that the total price will be 711.08 EUR!!! I reached out to the VRBO help center, as well as to the property, but neither of them can explain me, why 77.44 EUR were taken. And even the most troubling thing is, that neither of them even know who YPS*HOMEAWAY DROGHEDA CO IE is!!! VRBO claims, it is a third party software for charging money for bookings of the property. But the property has ensured me, that the total cost I have to pay is 711.08 EUR.

These conversations with both sides went for hours, but no result. WHAT IS GOING ON??? IS IT A FRAUD ISSUE??? WHY A THIRD PARTY IS ALLOWED TO TAKE ANY MONEY FROM ME??? I have contacted my bank, but they also can not help me any further. That is the last time I will book through VRBO or any other booking provider of Expedia!!! Worst experience ever! I will stick to AirBNB, through which I have booked over the recent years and NEVER EVER I had any trouble.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I booked a property in December via VRBO on 12/23/19 and the property owner (management company) did not move forward and (per the management company) cancelled the reservation for 1/3/20-1/4/20. I did not think about it until I received a notification that I was getting a review on the property that I had not stayed at. I had a $66.00 fee charged by VRBO. In my attempt to get it refunded, I called on 1.8.20 to request a refund and was told that I need to contact the management co. b/c they have to cancel it on their end.

I contacted the management co. which they confirmed they cancelled it on their end, I even msg'd them via VRBO's msg'ing system & got a confirmation that they cancelled it on their end. I call VRBO and received a case # and was told I should receive the refund within 3 business days. On the 22nd I still had not received a refund & in talking to their agents have received no additional help. They asked for a BANK STATEMENT! which is ridiculous but I provided it (which shows I was never billed for the rental property) & they stated that they can't see that I was refunded in full for the rental property. I did already notify them that I was NEVER CHARGED for the property so how would I receive a refund.

LONG STORY - the incompetence goes on further but I'll spare you. ROOT OF THE STORY - VRBO takes their cut but if there is a mistake you have to do the work to get a refund. I asked them if they would contact the property manager to confirm - unsurprisingly no response to this comment. 1 HOUR LATER.... "Alright here's what I'm going to do for us to help you further with your concern. I will escalate this and I suggest to you to call our phone support to help you to reach the property manager on your behalf and also you can stay on the line with them while they are talking to the property owner." At a loss for words. I will never use VRBO again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

As both a VRBO guest and Vrbo home owner, the number of 1-Star reviews totally shocked me, but I can understand the frustration of what people have summarized in their reviews: You make a reservation at a home with the expectation for a wonderful time only to find that the place is not as represented or is a dump or isn't available upon arrival at all. Then on top of this major disappointment, we have a hassle retrieving your deposit or even worse, your entire payment ... and Vrbo generally says that there isn't much of anything that it can do to help you resolve the mess because it's just the intermediary in matching up the home owner and the guest.

But thank heavens, it's not always this way. We, as an Owner, make a major effort in ensure that our guests receive a 5-star experience at our beach home in Santa Cruz, CA -- lots of amenities, an on-site concierge, a 5-person cleaning crew between every guest, and a deposit refund policy that has returned 100% of the payment of every guest that has had to cancel to date.

On the flip side, as a Vrbo Guest, every experience has been a delight. We never have had a complaint. At the core of our own and our guests' Vrbo experiences, are the guest reviews. If a property has a string of 5-star reviews a mile long, it's going to be a super experience -- and if it isn't, the Owner is going to make it right. On the other hand, in instances where the experience has been a revoltingly bad as those mentioned in many of the CF reviews, there's going be a pattern of 1-star guest indictments of the place. And, to the best of my knowledge, there's no way that an Owner can tinker with the reviews to bury the truth. So what I look for are great reviews -- and lots of them -- before I book anything.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I found my place of stay using VRBO and it actually exceeded my expectations. The cleanliness of the condo was excellent. Everything from the furniture to appliances were modern and didn't look old. The bedrooms were large and the wrap around patio was awesome. The patio extended around the entire condo and the view was amazing. The bathroom I felt was small and the shower was outdated especially when compared to everything that was inside the condo. That was the one and only thing I didn't like. But the location was perfect as it was close enough to all the stores and yet isolated enough from all the hustle and bustle of all the traffic and vacationers. The pool and beach were steps away from condo as you exited the elevator. The price was a little for the condo was a little high but after experiencing the peacefulness, cleanliness, and convenience it was worth it. I would stay at the condo and recommend it to others as well.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Vacation Rentals By Owner or VRBO was a breath of fresh air. There was a spa/hot tub pool and pool table. Owners went out and bought a new game console so I would have something to play on the 3br 2bath home. Had a refrigerator fully stocked w/ condiments, a gas grill on back patio, restaurant menus w/ grocery store discount cards, 50 something inch screen, Cable, WiFi all across the street from Disney Land and @ $1,200 for 7days a definite change in price. D.L. was $485 per night one room, fridge didn't work, had to pay $25 per day Valet parking, doorman tips. VRBO 5???? ****D.L. 1????

Original review: May 18, 2019

We enjoyed our stay in the condo very much! It was clean, and stocked with things you would not have imagined -- like toys for playing in the sand and chairs -- little touches that just made our stay that much more pleasant. We had some minor issues along the way, but the property manager was available to us, and quite helpful every step of the way. We also had a beautiful view of the beach. Would definitely rent this condo again!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

728 Dotters Corner Rd., Kunkletown, PA... was a “Cozy” and “FUN” home for our family to share! This “SPACIOUS and STYLISH” home... provided the 8 of us with an AWESOME “Winter Weekend” experience! The “Game Room” exceeded our expectations as we relaxed and enjoyed the 3 pinball machines... pool and foosball tables... multi-genre jukebox... and simulated golf driving range! We were impressed with the “Barn doors” and decorative accents... Joe ** infused throughout the home! Well done Joe! Thank you Colleen ** for a comfortable and priceless stay in Kunkletown!

Not sure about VRBO.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Timeshares for you.

VRBO.com Company Information