2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: April 22, 2021

(Jane) the host was so unprofessional when requesting to speak with her. I was told she don’t speak over the phone due to her not hearing well. Everything was through Email in which made things a overlap. My trip was booking two months in advance. 2-3 weeks after booking (Jane) was very pushy in regards of a guest form to give to security. Express my Concern to (Jane) how her pushiness made me feel and how busy I was with work. I assure her the form will be returned in a timely manner. Due to Jane personal feelings she canceled my family vacation the next day after my Email and told me I wouldn’t be a great fit for her and her partner, as well as the homeowner... Please Be aware. Don’t book any rental with this company.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I have rented with with VRBO for several years. Their “Fees” increase significantly each year. The New VRBO/Evolve Fee, poorly described as “Damage Protection Insurance”, is excessive. My Homeowners Insurance is less expensive than their “Insurance” and is good for a year instead of six weeks and provides at least 10 times more coverage than the $3000 coverage provided by their “Insurance”. They don't have a written description of what the insurance covers. I would much rather pay a $3000 refundable security deposit. They claim that this is “easier and less expensive” for guests. This is just another Money Grab by VRBO/Evolve. I will be not be using VRBO in the future..

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I was a first time renter at VRBO and believed the apartment pictures were beautiful, clean and real. I had urgent medical care in the U.K., when I arrived the place was a dump, dirty, filthy, broken door lock, windows, freezer door in fridge broken, violence in the streets in the middle of night. I could go on and on. I cried the first 2 nights because I was scanned and felt unsafe. I tried to contact VERBO with no luck so after surgery when I get morning back home I waited on hold at their customer service and was hung up on after being put on hold 4 times, and waited for nearly six hours. I tried to cancel my card but there is no way to do it. Once you put your credit card in they do not allow you anywhere on their site to delete it.

Only 2 days after my emergency medical trip I got an email from VRBO stating the owner requests $75 for missing one key out if two. I never received 2 keys and left the one exactly where the owner said to in the place. VRBO assured that they would block the charge and put a hold on it and not allow it to go through. Unless the owner could prove it and a key does not cost $75 anyway. I was already scammed with false and polished pictures on VRBO that looked nothing like it when I arrived and now he’s stealing me money, sure enough I wake up this morning and the charge hit my account.

I Spent another 2 hours on phone w VRBO giving me the run around and now I hand to have my Bank investigate it. VRBO does not help anyone esp the traveler. They are crooks. I had to pay a cleaning fee when I had to clean the entire place while on disability because I was so uncomfortable there. I do not recommend. If you ever need help they will not help you. Their customer service is horrific.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I had booked my trip on 3-5-21 for 6-3 thru 6-8. Late last night 4-18-21 at 9:00 PM I get a text from the host/ property manager asking if I could move my dates due to he did not realize that property owner had sent him a message that the week I had already paid and scheduled for weeks ago is the week owner wanted. William (Bill) ** ask me to move my dates to a day or two later and stay longer. Since my family had already requested off for those days would be a hard change with other employees scheduling as well. The owner would be leaving on 6-4-21. I offered to stay in hotel on our first night of booking and still leave on 4-8-21 if he would compensate for our inconvenience and would not have to refund me any money in return if hotel was covered or he could find me an alternate rental. The next day he flat out cancelled me. He did not try to compensate me just left us without a vacation.

I called VRBO and Markus was very apologetic for the host and would be filing a complaint. Markus attempted to find me another location but he says this host put me in a terrible situation since rental prices has doubled since I have booked and since it is prime season with Florida being back open from pandemic most locations already have been booked. I did ask the host to have the owner to contact me but he said he could not do that. I want to everyone out there to be warned by this property manager managing property ID 2175665 at Paradise by the beach because he makes error on the cost of the renter. Now I have to find other alternative for our vacation. Also, he has already had negative review on VRBO.

Original review: April 18, 2021

The ‘service fee’ that VRBO charges is nothing but a ripoff!! What service? And what is this ‘owners fee’ that I now see? We will NOT be using VRBO until these fees are substantially reduced or, better yet, eliminated. VRBO now has glossy ads on TV. Who is paying for those? Funny, but there is no mention of a ‘service fee’ in any of the ads. We have rented homes through VRBO many times with no problems whatsoever but will use private connections in the future and give our $$$ to the homeowner, not to extravagant fees.

Original review: April 16, 2021

My last few days trying to book a short-term rental through VRBO is driving me insane. The site has ridiculously high fees (cleaning, booking, cancellation and service) on top of the daily rental fee. Their customer service is TERRIBLE -- very long wait times once you call and 3 out of 3 calls ended up dropping before conclusion, and one one customer service rep called me back. And, you often get no response to questions you might have about certain properties for several days, by which time, the property can be booked. If you go ahead to book to preserve the option, despite unanswered questions, you are hit with big cancellation fees if you decide not to go through with it. I am coming to hate this place; it acts like a monopoly, rather like Comcast.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Avoid VRBO like the plague! They are one of those companies that provide no customer service. They just stonewall and stall endlessly hoping you'll give up and go away. I have never dealt with worse!

Original review: April 16, 2021

My first time using VRBO we were seeking a home in Arizona with a heated pool. We found a home in Lake Havasu and rented it for a few days (VRBO property id 2241051). We had multiple issues but the largest by far were that the heater for the pool was not functioning. Worse was the time we had to spend dealing with issue trying to get it resolved (including three visits by the owners pool company) before we were scheduled to leave. To his credit the owner did give us a partial refund. When solicited by VRBO, I submitted a review which I believed to be both balanced and constructive. When I observed that this review was not posted on the VRBO web site I tried to call them multiple times. After long waits with music the call disconnects!!!!

Original review: April 12, 2021

PROPERTY ADDRESS: 2739 3 PEAKS LANE JULIEN, CA. This is the worst experience we ever had with VRBO. The description of the property amounts to fraud and deception. Here's a list of the problems:

No toilet paper.
    No soap in the showers.
    No paper towels or other towels in the kitchen.
    Coffee maker was busted.
    Bed linens were old and poorly laundered.
    Bed liner was a filthy piece of plastic and cotton - never washed.
    Towels were old and poorly laundered.
    No hot water - the son made some adjustment and then the hot water turned on.
    The general condition of the property was very bad. Lawn and garden haven't been attended to for years - one of the adults got poison oak just walking on the rock path.
    One of the toilets failed completely and was unusable.
    Ceiling fans had an inch of dirt covering them which meant they were unusable.
    The deck had a broken fence which would have been dangerous for a child.
    An upstairs door led to a shaft area which would have been extremely dangerous for anyone particularly a child who stepped inside.
    The curtains were all torn and were hanging by staples.

Pictures of the above problems were taken and will be sent directly to VRBO management.

These are irresponsible property owners. The property should be removed immediately from VRBO as it poses a health hazard as well as a very uncomfortable and miserable environment. After calling VRBO and filing a complaint, they immediately took this rental information off of my profile at their website, but left the property owner's listing up. If the review isn't posted on VRBO within 2 weeks, I intend to file a small claims lawsuit against VRBO and the property owner. Never use this website again!

Original review: April 10, 2021

I made a reservation online for my family of 6 through VRBO, they collected the money, sent confirmation. I even received the code for the front door! My family arrived at the facility, unpacked and I was contacted by the facility stating they double booked my cabin and my family and I had to find a new place to stay! On a Friday at 5:00 pm in Kanab, Ut during spring break! I was told I need to call vrbo. I have been on hold now for a total of 85 minutes!!! The first time I got disconnected after 40 minutes. I had to look at my kids and tell them to load back up and find a hotel with 2 rooms available.

VRBO.com Company Information