2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.0/5 (759 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We enjoyed a wonderful stay in May cottage, Duns, to celebrate a family wedding. However we were charged an excessive cleaning fee for not stripping the beds and using the grill and oven. I have since challenged the fee with the owner as I would have anticipated routine cleaning between rents to cover these elements but have not had any response. It’s a real shame as the cottage was lovely and I am left feeling very disappointed that the fee was excessive with no explanation of how it can be justified. Be aware that the Terms allow £100 to be taken from your credit card without discussion.

Original review: June 23, 2021

June 12-19 we rented a condo in Myrtle Beach in Arcadian 2 # 3F, what a beautiful condo, very big and a wonderful view of the ocean, spacious balcony and the decor throughout was beautifully done. The owner was very nice and kept in contact once in a while to make sure everything was to our liking, I would recommend this property to anyone, you won't be disappointed!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I stayed in a VRBO in Moab. It was a duplex with lots of room and a large yard just south of town. Brand new! Hot a wonderful hot tub that was very clean. It also came with a gas fire pit that we did not use. We could not stay awake long enough after our biking adventures for the dark. Well stocked. New appliances.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I am usually lucky in finding places to stay while on vacation by using this site. I love the reviews others leave that have stayed at that location as it helps me determine if it's right or not. There are also usually multiple choices of different locations in the area so I'm not just tied down to one choice. The different ways you can filter for the right location help.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I have always had good experiences working with the owners through VRBO. I have not had issues with payments, accommodations, refunds, etc. My advice is to read the details and inspect the photos posted as well as communicate directly with the owners as to the specific needs you have.... How close to the beach, pet policies, etc.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Owners canceled our reservation. They sold the property with no warning. You must book early for Christmas. Two months before our vacation, we have nowhere to go because there's nothing left in our price range and area. I got a refund, but a lot of good that does me now. I can't book another. This is the second time a property I rented has been sold and my vacation canceled. Luckily, the first time, the new owners honored my rental agreement. No luck this time. VRBO needs to make owners honor their contracts with renters. We need guarantees.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Rubbish.Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish. They only want money. They do not have any customer service. Time and time again they have failed. Disgraceful. DO NOT ADVERTISE WITH THIS SITE AND DO NOT BOOK EITHER...

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I've stayed at Vrbo places before. As long as you are lucky and have no issues you are fine. Otherwise, you are on your own. They actually told us this. We spent almost $5,000 on a beach unit in NJ with my 80 yo mom to attend my nephew's wedding. The post for the unit was misguiding. It is a house. The upstairs is beautiful and the basement should be gutted. Unfortunately, the reviews are for both and are together. It is clear the upstairs unit is rented to friends and family who write great reviews. It does not appear that you can rent that unit through vrbo. The basement unit is what is actually rented out. It was scary to stay there especially during covid. The place had not been cleaned for months. Recycling from previous renter was still in the trash and juel containers, etc. Were under the beds. Sticky stuff on table cloths, bathroom, etc.

I am not a picky person so to show this I'll try to post pics. This place was unreal. So dirty. I was not happy but until my sister, her dog, and I became sick we were going to stay. My sister's dog projectile vomited 3 times the first 12 hours (from another review complaining of ants in the beds we think they sprayed insecticide). Then she and I separately started complaining to our family about dizziness, and foggy brain issues. I actually had to hold on to my husband on the boardwalk so I wouldn't fall. I am not kidding. So bad!! We checked the AC units. It is so upsetting this person is allowed to rent this place out. There were mold spores all over. My sister left after one night and drove 2 hours home to take her dog to a dog sitter, then drove 2 hours back the following day. My husband, mom, and I stayed 2 nights (had booked it for 5 nights) and left.

We contacted vrbo right as we checked into a hotel 30 miles away (Labor Day so all beach places were booked) and were hung up on and transferred numerous times from the call center. My husband calmly told the story 4 times. We were actually a few min late to the rehearsal dinner but I wanted to contact them asap... but...Finally after submitting a written report and sending pictures we were contacted the next day in an email with a denial. I don't know if they even looked at the photos or read that the host didn't reply to us. We thought there would be no option but reimbursement of some kind. We were told since we didn't contact vrbo before leaving the unit we would not be compensated. And that we can work it out with the host... What...? It was not in covid compliance and the ad was misleading. How are we not protected at all?

The host told me she would refund the cleaning fee (she never did) but that I could leave anytime. We asked to show her the mold and blood on the ceiling fan and she ghosted us. Vrbo basically said we would have to sue the woman to get any compensation. I will never book another VRBO trip again. It took me a week to feel better, my sister's dog could've died, and my 80 yo mom was sitting and sleeping on filthy chairs and around polluted air. Unreal. Stay away. They are a company without integrity.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

In Aug 2021, my friends and I booked a trip to Austin Tx for a birthday and to also attend A Circuit of the Americas event the weekend of October 22nd, 2021. We bought tickets for the event as well as airfare after we secured our housing On Aug 16, 2021 through VRBO. Around Sept 10th, the property owner contacted us and canceled our reservation after the full amount was already paid for the property; They said that the rental had been booked since May 2021 from another site. We called customer service immediately and although they refunded our money- we were left without housing for the event. Everything was booked, way too expensive and/or didn't fit our group size or needs. I contacted Better Business Bureau and the only thing Vrbo had to say was that it was on the property owner and not them.

They made no effort to help in any capacity. I mean there is a reason we book trips in advance- am I right? My friends and I are out thousands of dollars thanks to this disaster and I am beyond upset with this company. THE OVER AND UNDER - we were offered a home that wasn't available, the property owner accepted the full amount for the home - kept our money for a month and then canceled on us, leaving us having to cancel the trip. This was the worst experience I have ever had and I am writing this review in hopes that people do not use this terrible service as it depleted my bank account and cost us a lot of grief, more work and heartache than anything else. I am a hardworking mother of two and this was supposed to be my big getaway. Please reconsider before using!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

In early July, I reserved a condo for a trip in October. That reservation was confirmed and full payment was received. Less than 2 weeks before my departure, I received an email message from the owner/host, Sandra **, telling me that the condo was no longer available. Of course, we have family and friends who have already reserved units in that same condo. When I called VRBO to complain, they were very sympathetic and quick to offer help. A short time later, they sent out a very confusing and poorly written message telling me what I had to do. Their help was having me start over, finding another condo, making a second payment, and then sending in paperwork and proof. While this was no fault of my own, I bear the extra burden of finding something. I'm still waiting for a second reply from them. I say shame on the owner and shame on VRBO.

VRBO.com Company Information