1.07/5
Based on 356 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

1488 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

I had a terrible experience with VRBO and they're deceit. Long story short... the owners showed me the emails and their emails and charges... Unbelievable HIGH. Don't use VRBO. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BAD... go direct to the owners. The owners made it right with us and was so kind and HONEST. So if you go to Costa Rica go directly to the owners of ** then go to (rentals). Or see their place on YouTube. "Grecia Guest Home" 2/2 Fully furnished. They are so kind and the place is real Luxury at a real fair Price. Bottom line We had a great time because of the owners and will never use VRBO.

Original review: June 15, 2018

After rental confirmation the price was increased and our reservation canceled because we refused to pay the extra rental fees. Tried calling VRBO with very little effect. They could have cared less just wanted the extra fees or cancelation. Not expecting a speedy refund either after reading reviews. Spoiled our whole vacation.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Beware of vacation rentals on VRBO, as their ratings may be falsified and you may get more (or less) than you bargained for! VRBO will not post my review (see below) and they were no help in resolving an issue with the property we rented. I will never trust VRBO again, and you should not either! Your rating: 2 of 5. Title of your review: Pirate's Plank was Missing a bathroom!

Your experience: This beach cottage has potential to be very nice. In fact, the owner has been doing some remodeling. The kitchen has been redone very nicely, and there was supposed to be a brand new master bath... but there wasn't! Yep, we had 7 adults and only 1 bath. Had we have known this, we would not have rented this place. All of the materials to remodel the bath were also stacked in the floor of the master bedroom! The owner keeps saying he is going to "make it right", but he keeps putting us off and making excuses. So, we were majorly inconvenienced by having to schedule showers in the 1 bathroom, and the owner evidently does not think this should have been an issue. There were also some cleanliness issues with the house that need to be addressed. I wish I could post pictures for you to see of the bathroom under construction. I also wish the owner recognized how much this affected our vacatio

Update: the owner did refund $200 for the inconvenience. Stayed: May 2018. Here's the link to the property, https://www.vrbo.com/862385, and you will see my review was never posted, yet the above info came from VRBO saying my review was submitted. I also do not recommend renting any property from the owner of the link above. The owner was a real jerk!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I am a 28 year owner of a vacation property located in the Florida Keys. I am now retired but was a 35 year real estate broker in a California ski area... more than just a working knowledge of the vacation rental industry. I started advertising with VRBO over 14 years ago and was extremely satisfied with the service. I typically booked between 20 and 25 revenue weeks each year... couple with a like amount of repeat business, so I was at full occupancy year in and year out. My property is a very small boutique, well located condominium. All our owners have the units cleaned professionally and maintain the units to a high standard. I got the other owners to doing the professional cleaning as well as choosing to rent only by the week (or more) and have a Saturday change over date. All our units rent very well and have strong guest loyalty.

Something changed in about 2016. Expedia purchased VRBO/HOMEAWAY and sprung upon their advertisers the fee based booking platform. My referrals went to zero or nearly so. So in early 2017, I decided it had been a mistake not to do the online booking along with online payments. I did not like the idea of VRBO having access to my operating checking account so I opened a separate account to accept these wire payments. Only problem was I only got one booking and it was the "renter from hell". This guest caused $8200 of damage to my condo and I am told in excess of $20,000 to the unit below due to a flood caused by his unsupervised 4 year old son.

I learned of the Consumer Affairs site and started following the reviews. I gathered that potential guests that pay a fee for booking probably expect more service and just an informational referral. That's my guess. When a potential guest and owner get to establish rapport, things go better. Our properties are not hotels with many like rooms for occupancy. They are each different reflecting their owner's personality. So in early 2017 I decided I was not going to extend my agreement with VRBO which would conclude in mid April. I would go with non fee based target marketing which is easier in Florida rather than a place like Kansas. I would go with FloridaRentals.com, one of several such sites available.

On or about February 4, 2017 I received an "instant booking" from VRBO for my last week of March, 2017. I didn't even know what "instant booking" was and just a couple of hours before had booked the property from a referral via FloridaRentals.com. I immediately declined the VRBO booking and received a confirmation of such. Since it was a booking, I had the potential guest's telephone number and e-mail address. I called him in NC. and apologized for the issue.

The next day the potential guest from NC. called and indicated VRBO had advised he had to get his money returned from me. I advised I had not received any compensation but would check my bank. I had not and so advised the guest. He indicated he had tried to book a second property via VRBO and it turned out it was booked too. VRBO now had two full payments from the guy. A few days later he called and indicated VRBO was still telling him he had to get his money from me. We chatted and I suggested possibly his best move was to contact his credit card company and request they decline the billings. He did so.

The next week I got an e-mail from VRBO indicating the NC. guest had canceled his instant booking reservation and I would be charged a cancellation fee. I assured them they were not going to charge me anything. They said they would be doing so. I jumped in my car, drove to B of A and canceled the online payment account. Case closed or so I thought. They tried three times (I think) to send the cancellation fee through. We fended it off each time. Case closed or so I thought as I, in addition, wrote VRBO a letter indicating I had no interest in extending my advertising agreement. It was acknowledged.

On the Saturday which would have been the occupancy date for the NC. guest, I received an e-mail from VRBO advising the guest needed occupancy instructions. I immediately called him. He was in NC and had never been able to perfect a reservation. I e-mailed VRBO but got no response. Right after the exit date, the following Saturday, if the reservation had actually been perfected, I got an e-mail from VRBO asking me to evaluate the guest. Go figure! Life is too short to do business with these fee based booking platforms. VRBO actually called me and offered a free listing which, as one may guess, would never produce a booking only assist in their keeping the site's content levels up. Try to find a non-fee based target marketing site and help them grow. You will be rewarded.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The house was for sale when we arrived. First day no water pressure. Drip showers. Toilet barely flushed. Contacted owner. She told us we need to practice conservation for the day and water pressure should be back to normal the next day. Day 3 Gave owner a video of shower that still only dripped. Owner told us to shower in town at public shower house. At that point I contacted customer support at VRBO. Day 4-6 Could not do laundry, barely showered, had to fill bucket in kitchen sink to flush toilet, neighbors told us she is not to be renting house out till she put in a sprinkler system in the house. No sprinkler system. No fire extinguisher.

After calling VRBO customer support all VRBO could do is email my complaint to owner, which owner totally ignored. VRBO says they cannot do a thing about it. After putting a bad review on VRBO 939711. Owner took house off VRBO, but owner has another house on VRBO in Estes Park. VRBO cannot do anything about that listing since that house had nothing to do with my complaint. VRBO also could not give me any info on owner so I could get a lawyer involved. Now I am going to the county. County is getting Health Dept involved. BE CAREFUL when renting thru VRBO. Make sure you have a GOOD vibe on the renter!! You have NO help from VRBO if something goes wrong.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: June 14, 2018

Have been researching vacation homes for the past month, on VRBO, observing terms and condition etc. Finally narrowed down my choice and excitedly, request to book our vacation home. Now when I say request to book that is exactly what I thought I was doing. I noticed the purchase went through and our reservations confirmed in less than 5 minutes! After booking I continued to browse and noticed this homeowner had several homes that I did not notice before, that is when I noticed the poor reviews! I realized that I had made a mistake. I immediately contacted the owner and told her that I would need to cancel due to her poor reviews. She refused cancellation and stole my 1500.00, she refuses to refund, and VRBO said they could not help me.

Within 24 hours I lost my vacation money, to a greedy owner. I understand taking a percentage if that is the case, but not my entire 1500.00. I am disheartened by this and the owner refuses to speak with me, so we can work things out. Her reviews reveal several renters who were miserable doing their stay, and were forced to stay because that is the choice they made. I want out of this situation, I don't want to sit on my vacation regretting this terrible mistake. When observing several other vacation homes, I never noticed anyone with a no return policy, also noticed it was hard to see her no return policy because of the position of the interface while booking. The terms should remain in the box near the cost. This is just a robbery, and I will miss vacation this year! Thanks VRBO!

Original review: June 12, 2018

When we initially reserved a property for rent through VRBO late last year, the rental price was quoted at $2,800. Now, the site shows that we were quoted $4,000 -- that's more than a 40% increase! The property owners are unhappy with VRBO as well and are working with us directly, so kudos to them, but we will NOT be using VRBO for any future rentals. Increasing fees on future rentals is one thing. Increasing fees on an existing contract is an entirely different matter. I will boycott Expedia and its child companies due to this incident. This sort of tactic is entirely unacceptable and is likely illegal, not that I have the funds and desire to try and fight Expedia in court.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have a vacation rental listing on VRBO. Because I am not comfortable accepting instant bookings and because our strata rules require our guest to book directly with our on-site management my listing rarely appears in potential guest searches. In the past VRBO was an excellent place for owners and renters to list and search for vacation rentals but since being purchased by Expedia their business model focuses entirely on making as much money possible for the company and not on what is best for owners and vacation renters. As a renter I want personal contact with the owner BEFORE I pay them, I want to talk to the person who owns the property and get a feel for how much they love their vacation home. In my experience owners who truly love their vacation home typically have a property I am interested in renting.

As an owner I want to talk to potential renters BEFORE I accept their booking and BEFORE I require payment. I do not rent to bachelor or bachelorette parties, spring breakers or those under the age of 25. I do this to avoid conflict with other owners and guests as our condo complex isn't the right fit for the party crowd. I also want to talk with potential vacation renters because I want to them to know I intend for their vacation to be outstanding. VRBO no longer allows owners and guests to connect until payment is made.

If owners elect to go with direct booking or instant booking VRBO holds the deposit and full payment until after the guest checks out. This provides VRBO and its parent company with mega funds to invest and earn interest while the vacation owner sits in wait for a payment months after the rental is booked. VRBO says this protects both parties when in essence it is simply a way for them to make more money. I know companies are in business to make a profit however charging owners to list a property, charging vacation renters a fee to rent the property then keeping all of the funds until a guest checks out seems to be over-kill.

I've spent countless hours on the phone with VRBO customer service representatives trying to find a way to continue to list with them as well as respect the rules outlined by my condo's governing strata. Many times I am connected to an agent who is difficult to understand and who doesn't have answers to my questions without putting me on hold and "researching" my question. The bottom line is always the same, things will be the VRBO way or no way at all. If you are looking for another alternative to VRBO please consider giving homeescape.com a try. They do not charge vacation renters a fee, they allow renters and owners to share contact information BEFORE booking and they have an option for owners to list their property on a pay-per-booking option or a subscription.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The site is filled with glitches and errors. Their policies are continually changing. I own a rental. Policy is to refund damage deposit, which VRBO keeps, unless claim for damages is received prior to 14 day deadline. I was going to claim extra charge by my cleaner for excessive cleaning needed because guest left my property a horrible mess. VRBO refunded the entire deposit 9 days after check out. The made the error of refunding prior to 14 days but will not reimburse me. Their site has so many glitches it is difficult if not impossible to use. They include properties 50 or more miles from the area searched for a rental. They continue to raise their fees to travelers for a useless guarantee and raise the cost of subscriptions. VRBO was a wonderful, competent company before being purchased by Expedia 2 1/2 years ago. They continue to go downhill while raising cost to use.

Original review: June 7, 2018 VRBO was once great and reliable. Now, it forces homeowners to incorporate online bookings, then charges both the owner *and* the renter fees. Further, if you do not wish to accept bookings automatically online without first screening potential renters, VRBO will bury your listing so other potential renters will never see it. We paid over $500 ($USD) for our listing, had all five-star reviews, sold out every other year, yet this year VRBO only generated three rentals for the whole YEAR.

Today I received a call from the VRBO representative from Austin, Texas, asking me if I wanted to renew. I said, "Not really..." and wanted to explain why I didn't wish to renew but the representative promptly hung up in my ear right in the middle of my sentence. This is no way to do business in my opinion.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We were to travel on Saturday May 26th 2018 and depart on Saturday June 2, 2018. Midweek before our day to travel we heard on TV news that there was a Tropical Storm, Alberto, brewing and headed towards the Gulf of Mexico and could possibly hit directly at the point of where we were going to be staying...Fort Morgan, AL Gulf Shores area. We had made reservations in the Spring April 11th, 2018 through VRBO/HomeAway. When I made the online reservations, it appeared that the place was already booked but it also looked as though my reservation went through more than once...and I had to contact the owner Donna (she had to approve our reservation through VRBO as we requested to bring our 8 pound Shih Tzu and she approved our stay).

When I emailed her Donna said, "It is telling me that 1 payment has been accepted. I'm guessing that something happened when I changed the quote removing the $300.00 damage deposit. I'm on hold with them." I emailed back "Ok thanks...and I did trip insurance...I hope I only entered that one time". Donna responded "I think Jason has us all straightened out and we're all good. Yeah" (she was on the phone with VRBO Jason).

I think what happened is that I had 2 reservations and one somehow got deleted...the one that had my trip cancellation insurance and I thought when she said we are all good that we were really all good. Now fast forward to May 23, 2018...we heard TV news about the Tropical Storm Alberto. I even texted Donna the owner and told her what we heard and asked her about the weather she said she "didn't listen to the news and had heard nothing about it...come on down."

We continued to follow the news as it was on local, state and National news about the storm Alberto. And on Friday May 25th, 2018...we decided it was in our best interest for safety to heed the warnings about the storm heading directly towards the Gulf of Mexico our destination and we informed the owner we were going to cancel. We asked if there was another week and she only had a week in September. We declined the offer at that time because this Summer trip was for our son's High School graduation and he will be in College in September and can't go then.

I then proceeded to call VRBO on 5/25/18 to cancel and start a claim to get a refund. I spend a lot of time on the phone...'high volume of calls' and I'm assuming high volume because I'm sure a lot of people had to cancel due to the Tropical Storm Alberto...in any case. I spoke to "Terry" at VRBO who showed I did purchase Trip Cancellation Protection and he said it was for $124.02 and gave me a policy # **. I was then instruction to call CSA (insurance company) to file a claim...they said I did NOT have insurance and that was not one of their policy #'s.

I called and spoke to many other people at VRBO and CSA and they finally said they show that I did purchase it but it was 'refunded'. I do not have anything showing that it was refunded on my Discover Card... I think I purchased it and someone on VRBO or CSA failed to key it in and I was totally unaware that it did not go through. Since 4/11/18 I thought all was good and that I had insurance etc.

After talking to all of these people at VRBO and CSA I contacted the owner, Donna, and asked her if she would just go ahead and let us have that week in September even though our son couldn't go. My husband and I thought we would just so we didn't lose all this money...and she said it was already booked and she didn't have anything for Thanksgiving or Christmas and was not booking for 2019...so we were just out of this $$$$. I called VRBO and the rep that answered was named "Jason". I don't know if it was the "Jason" from 4/11/18 but he called the owner, Donna, to see if she would refund our money and he told me that she feels that she deserves this money and 'all options are exhausted'.

On 5/30/18 a rep from CSA called, her name was Lonnie and she said she researched and showed that 'there was an attempt at purchasing the trip cancellation protection but it never went through'. I told her that Jason had told me that even if we did have it...it probably wouldn't have covered this as it was not a hurricane. It was just a tropical storm and Lonnie said I had been misinformed that it does cover storm/flooding etc. Regardless of the insurance we feel that it was not safe to travel towards a Tropical Storm and we feel that we should be refunded our money or at least most of it. We understand that the owner might want a deposit amount but the entire amount is totally unfair as we had a very legitimate reason for cancelling...Tropical storm...State of Emergency issued by the Governor...some beaches were closed on the Gulf.

We are now out of $2756.00 and a vacation. I'll also give you VRBO and CSA phone #'s. The house had 2 names...and I have 2 reservation #'s and I have a case #. VRBO/HOMEAWAY 1-888-640-7927. CSA ** email: csa@csatravelprotection.com. HOME NAME: SQUARE FLOWERS / BLUE HEAVEN / SURF SIDE SHORES (same house different names??). First time (and last) to use VRBO...very disappointed.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Do Not Rent From VRBO. We advertised on VRBO and HomeAway for 10+ years. Their new requirements have almost put us out of business. Any legit long time home renter will be advertising on other sites with 20%+ discount off of VRBO fees. Be wary of those still on VRBO-no guarantees, hard to get return deposits, etc. Deal direct with owners and with fee-free sites such as hometogo.com, homeescape.com, tripadvisor.com/rentals, local sites, etc.

Original review: June 3, 2018

My major complaint is that when you review a VRBO property that review is only available on the site you booked on. The same property is listed by VRBO - HomeAway on more sites than I can count (50+?). Not showing existing reviews to all is leaving renters vulnerable to poor conditions etc. Owners knowing the above have little reason to improve. Recently used VRBO to rent in Madeira. The agent was difficult to deal with, did not respond to emails. Contacted VRBO, who initially agreed to cancel, then after we had searched for another suitable place, refused to refund saying their agent had made a mistake. Finally had an email from agent, I suspect because of VRBO. Rental was the worst we have ever had, not dirty, it was a nice apartment, very poorly equipped, no micro, no can/bottle opener, 2 uncomfortable chairs, no sofa - ants - the list goes on.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We are a senior couple who booked a unit in the Historic Center of Asheville, Montford for 10 nights. Upon our arrival we had to walk down a long driveway blocked by the owner's car and overhanging untrimmed bushes. After getting to the back of the building, we had to negotiate three steps w/o a railing onto a slate patio with uneven concrete seams. Upon entering the unit it was obvious that the picture was not worth 1,000 words. The bunker bedroom walls were concrete slabs and the electrical outlets were exposed; the kitchen sink faucet was about to come apart.

After 4 nights we secured a hotel and told the owner of our concerns. She apologized and adjusted our dates. However, no refund was imminent! VRBO has been apologetic but essentially told me this was between me and the owner. The unit was left clean and I was refunded $100 deposit but no mention of the unsafe conditions or the $500 we remain unrefunded. We are travelers and know what to expect... We will never use VRBO again!

Original review: May 29, 2018

VRBO is doing everything to increase its revenues from vacation rentals at the expense of the owners. The new online booking requirements includes substantial additional fees to both owner and guest. Recently when responding to a potential guest's questions using VRBO's email system (quest contact info is not revealed to owner until after booking), I noticed that VRBO's default response authorizes instant online booking automatically. To avoid instant online booking owner must choose another reply tab which was told by VRBO agent that the instant online default was for owner's benefit. Does VRBO think we're that stupid? Since it was acquired by Expedia/Microsoft, VRBO's mission seems to be to maximise profits even at the expense of the owner. The new culture at VRBO is such a disappointment.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been using VRBO for years, and it has worked great until last year that they change all their fees. Now they are like a car dealer: commission fee, based fee, service fee. In all the fees they took over $1000.00. This service has become very unattractive when 6% of credit card fees are charge in addition to all the service fees. Very disappointing!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was one of thirty two people that rented a house on King St., in Yachat, Oregon for a week. We were charged @ $250 cleaning fee. When the organizer showed up the place was filthy. They had to clean the house before the first group showed up. The pictures on VRBO were misleading. It was apparent that the house and grounds had not been managed, cleaned or maintained in years. There was mold on curtains, rusted sinks, dead bugs throughout the house and going downstairs the stench of mold on at least thirty year old carpeting made you gag. Complaints wanting to be filed with VRBO, but They don't accept negative comments. I wanted people to know that VRBO is not a reliable source especially when they don't and won't accept the truth about their listings.

Original review: May 18, 2018

As a group of 10 women, we rented a home located at ** Milton, DE 19968, for a long weekend away. Within 2 hours of being there, we had our first rodent sighting. Over the course of the night, there were several more sightings. Upon waking up, the home had also developed a significant leak inside the house. We contacted the property owner, Mike **, and he offered to send over a maintenance man. The homeowner was rude to us until he talked to his maintenance man, who agreed with our complaints. VRBO did offer us a refund but couldn’t relocate us and only offered to put us up in a substandard hotel in separate rooms.

We had taken time off of work, traveled 3 hours, and were forced to spend over 7 hours on the phone to try and get it resolved. In the end, we found another house on our own and/or a hotel that offered a condo with a kitchen but VRBO wouldn’t pay for it. They basically said ‘it’s not our responsibility to cover that and our only objective is to find you a safe place to stay’ which wasn’t what we had planned for. Do not use VRBO. They misrepresent their services and did not provide a vacation experience we were happy with. Save yourselves a lot of frustration and book through anyone other than VRBO.

Original review: May 18, 2018

On 2/27/2018 I placed a reservation for a property in Hilton Head. After receiving confirmation email from VRBO.com of the selected dates, I made final travel plans. I was then contacted by the property owner advising me that he was adjusting my reservation for one day shorter. I advised him that I had a confirmation of my original reservation and I had made travel plans so, I would need to keep the original dates. Without any further contact, I received a new confirmation with the new dates. I contacted VRBO about this and was ensured I would get a return call. As of 5/15/2018, not contact. I received a final payment request from the property owner for get this... the same amount as the original reservation! So they want me to pay the same original amount ($200 per night for 8 nights) but, it is now $227 per night for 7 nights.

When I called VRBO, they kept telling me that the owner controls this, not them. To make matters worse, when I asked the operator to check the status of my original complaint of the reservation being changed, they had no record of that call. So now I am stuck in Hilton Head with my family for an extra night during the busy time of year with no available rooms anywhere!!! All I get is, "I understand and I am sorry," from VRBO.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My recent experience with VRBO is shameful. After I reserved a condo on the site for my 40th bday and contacted them after the reservation seemed confusing and I didn't get a confirmation they assured me it was all set. I even corresponded with the owner who explained we were good to go and would give me check in details... Fast forward my reservation is now canceled... No one is taking responsibility and passing the buck on a major booking error. No help, nothing... Just happy birthday. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. They are very unprofessional and the customer service is outsourced and you cannot understand what the person is saying. They might as well hang up on you. My experiences with Airbnb are night and day compared to this.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I booked a large boat in a dock in Florida for a 3 night stay in February of 2019. My plans have changed. I have requested a cancellation. The property owner charged my credit card $897.00 for this trip and will not issue a refund, will not return emails and will not return phone calls. I have been asking for 6 weeks for a refund. I contacted VRBO... they gave me a case number, but continue to tell me they are just a service linking travelers to homeowners and do not seem to be offering any solution except for me to continue to contact the homeowner. VRBO should handle all transactions until the cancellation window has expired so that travelers don't have a problem getting money back from a VRBO member that obviously doesn't want to refund. DO NOT DEAL WITH VRBO. DO NOT BOOK A YACHT FROM PAUL **. MY ATTORNEY WILL BE CONTACTED NEXT.

Original review: May 16, 2018

So far, every dealing I have had with VRBO since November 2017 when I signed up, has been done incorrectly on their part. They have lost bookings by incorrectly billing the customer, and their latest blunder is that they refunded the damage deposit to a traveler that I specifically called and said do not refund his deposit. This traveler broke the closet doors, left 20 cases of beer bottles and a week's worth of trash in the apartment, and vomited all over the kitchen, as well as did not take the sheets off the beds or empty the refrigerator. The damage deposit would have covered the additional costs, but this morning after they already refunded his deposit, they told me I had to file an insurance claim, after it was too late!

Why was I not told that on the day I called the first time, or when I called the second time to find out why I got an email that said they would refund his damage deposit, they said, "Ok, we won't refund his deposit." Here it is a week later, and they refunded his deposit. There is no way to screen these people because you cannot talk to them, and then after your home is left in a shambles, there is no recourse. I am going to look for another rental service, and I would never recommend VRBO for an owner. It also doesn't help that there is a huge language barrier with the representatives.

Original review: May 16, 2018

VRBO now has what appears to be a monopoly in the online vacation home rental market. They appear to have changed their terms where the transaction MUST be booked through their operation. This is a major change in the business model. The homeowner must provide a bank account number. There is no screening of renters and it is easy to create a false identity to browse and phish for further identity information from high net worth people who own expensive vacation homes.

There is no detail or indication of the measures VRBO takes to keep their website and their customer data secure. A breach would be devastating as a hacker could get identity AND real estate holdings AND bank account information. There is almost no information on how VRBO acts as a fiscal or clearing agent and the terms or conditions when money is released to the Homeowner. They are now earning float on top of the regular processing fees. They appear to be using an offshore office for customer service where many of the operators have poor English speaking skills, so it is difficult to get answers to basic questions.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I signed up for VRBO and after comparing similar properties decided to lower my rates. I noted my average on advertisements was not reducing with my changes and so began the horrible service from the representatives. I have called multiple times explaining that my average nightly price cannot possibly be my highest price listed but they continue to assure me it is correct. Every single representative dismissed my complaint and I would eventually get tired of wasting my time talking to people that don't know how to get averages and end the call. The last call, not only was my complaint dismissed, she argued with me telling me people don't consider their budget when looking for a vacation rental and then denied me the opportunity to speak with a manager stating they would tell me the same thing she had. Unbelievable!

Original review: May 11, 2018

VRBO can't explain how their accounting system works. We manage 300+ rentals and try to implement a short term rental service but quoting the VRBO fee is nearly impossible. They charge both landlord and tenant fees. VRBO accidentally refunded a guest and now we have to fight with the guest to try and get it back. When you try to call customer service there's a huge language barrier and it's difficult to understand their representatives as they don't understand accounting or what I'm saying to them.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I've been a homeowner on VRBO for over 8 years; offering our Lake Home for rent. It was a wonderful service when I started, as they connected people searching for a Vacation Rental to homes. A year or two ago they put processes in place that prohibits Owners from booking their homes directly with vacation guests so they could begin charging large processing fees to Guests and Homeowners. I tried to book some reservations directly with some guests that had been coming to my home for years, and VRBO suspended my listing (though I'd paid my $500 to be listed). I tolerated this, and adapted, so my guests and I both get charged big fees.

Now they've gone as far as to not allow me to provide my telephone number to potential guests that have questions on my property or our vacation area. When I type it in my email replies, they block it out. They are so afraid that a reservation might be made outside their system in which they wouldn't get to charge their fees, that they won't even allow a potential guest to contact the homeowner to ask questions! So frustrating! I'm done with VRBO!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Back in 2015 we used VRBO to find a house to rent for my birthday. We found this house that was in Santa Monica and the total price was over $6000. Trusting VRBO would screen for scammers and this house had reviews which apparently were fake again obviously not scanned by VRBO, We signed a contract and sent $6000 for the rental. This company suddenly said the house was flooded and we couldn’t stay, we tried to contact them and found out that the house did not belong to the people that were trying to “rent” it out. We signed a contract and sent $6000 for the rental. This company suddenly said the house was flooded and we can stay, we tried to contact them and found out that the house did not belong to the people that were trying to “rent“ it out. I would never trust VRBO again and never use their services as they do not do any security screening to make sure that the house that’s for rent is a real one.

Original review: May 10, 2018

This is a wonderfully located condo with excellent views. The condo itself is poorly equipped and cheap in terms of furniture, upholstery, bedding etc. The linens, mattress padding and towels are of very low quality and poorly maintained and have stains. The living room sofa has stains and the sofa bed in the living room meant an extra bed does not work. Beware of the property management who did not refund us the cleaning deposit fee of $500 and exaggerated the state of the condo upon our check-out. The cleaning expenses should have been covered in the $150 fee, but the property owner retained the deposit by charging outrageous cleaning charges against issues listed above, the same have been reported in review comments from previous renters.

We tried to settle the dispute with the property owner but she is not interested in getting the issues resolved amicably. I would highly encourage anyone booking this condo to take very detailed pictures upon check-in as well as check-out to avoid being cheated by the property management or just plain steer clear of this property and avoid the hassle of ruining a good vacation and book other far better options out there

Original review: May 10, 2018

Martie was wonderful and assisted us in every way possible and really listened to our needs. She is the reason for two stars. The issue is the master bedroom, I have been bitten over 40 times and my daughter was bitten over 30 times herself. Lice or bed bugs? Doctor mentioned bed bugs. After contacting VRBO I was disappointed that they didn't take my complaint seriously. They stated I have to deal with the owner? But, it's your website! They have limited resources on investigating if my claims are true or the resources to check proof of practice if they have bed bugs or lice have the issues been rectified.

During this trip my wife was screaming wolf before we got there (because she is always itchy). I was itchy, but figured them talking about it was making me itch. I got home and shaved the portion of my stomach that revealed several bites real close to one another, days later bites kept appearing, doctor stated normal for bed bug bites to appear at a later time. Good Luck people.

Updated on 05/25/2018: After posting my dislikes I received an interesting message from the owner. She responded: "What is the review about bedbugs? There are none there! I had family before you, and clients after you! Not one bedbug could be found!" I responded: "Be careful with walking on shallow grounds. The media is a powerful resource if I publicize your disrespectful response."

There is something in the masters bedroom. I am glad to hear you were able to rectify the problem. I had to clean all cloth, clothing and towels In my household. I did write an amazing review with pictures on Consumer Affairs. I believe you might want to look at their website. "Anyways, it was literally the last day that was the worse. I'm not looking for recompensing any items. Thank Lord I am blessed. That was a terrible thing to go through for anybody. it's very important as the owner not to entrust the cleanings to cheap labor."

Original review: May 9, 2018

Very dissatisfied with this monopoly company. I've been using VRBO since 2006. About 2 years ago, they started bullying me to use online booking. I told them they were not a management company, just an advertising tool. They dropped my listing to the bottom of the list because I refused to let them book for me. In April 2018, my listing was up for renewal again & this time they refused to accept my rental listing if I did not let them do online booking AND THEY WANTED MY BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION.

I told them I already had a Merchant Account where I accepted credit cards from my customers but they REFUSED TO TAKE MY RENTAL LISTING. I told them again that they were not a management company nor a banker. I asked to speak with a supervisor or a vice- president/president of the company. They absolutely would not let me talk to anyone else. I am never going to do business with VRBO again and suggest that other property owners do the same.

VRBO.com Company Information