2.8/5 (1354 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

They will steal your money!! This company is fraudulent and steals money from people. Words cannot describe the amount of headaches they have given me a host and I will never use them again. Do not use this company!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Booked a trip to Panama City Beach, FL through VRBO at Tidewater Beach Resort condo, managed by Vacasa and encountered the following issues:

12/23/22

 TV Issues: Arrive at Tidewater Beach Resort condo, with temperatures dipping below freezing and wind chills in the single digits about the only thing to do is watch tv. Tried turning on the tv to no avail. After contacting VACASA was told to check all the connections. Although this isn’t our job, everything should be in top working order BEFORE arrival, we did pull out the TV and checked that it was plugged in which it was, then moved to a different outlet which got the TV to turn on. However, no cable was available. Was able to get Netflix to stream so watched that for the evening.

 Hot Water Issue: Water did not get hot for showering, with 5 people in the unit knew this was going to be an issue.

 Pantry Door Issue: Initial opening of the pantry door caused it to fall off track rendering it unusable.

12/24/22

 Maintenance came; very nice and helpful. Fixed pantry door, checked cable and sent order for a ping to be done, and set the temperature higher on hot water heater.

12/25/22

 Tried washing a load of clothes. Water kept shutting off, finally got the load to run after continuously pushing buttons. Next person to try a load never could get it to spin out and had to hand wring their load. Obviously quit trying to wash clothes at that point. Once again contacted VACASA to let them know we now had an issue with the washing machine and still no cable.

12/26/22

 Found water leaking from bunk room toilet.

 Maintenance man (Same one from 12/24) came to check on washer. Determined it was a faulty switch on the washer and it would have to be fixed by an authorized person. He submitted a repair request. While there he fixed the toilet issue.

12/27 & 28/22

 Despite numerous requests & pleas to VACASA nothing was done to fix either the cable or the washing machine. On the evening of the 28th it was discovered that the garbage disposal also did not work, never reported since we were leaving on the morning of the 29th.

12/29/22

 Left early morning with no resolution to our problems other than a small refund being offered. We are fairly that nothing would be done and the cycle would unfortunately start again with the next renters coming in.

In conclusion it appears that other than quick fix issues nothing is done to address tenants concerns with the knowledge that the average tenant only stays a few days all they have to do is keep pushing them off till they can get the tenant out the door for a new arrival. I would be very hesitant to ever use any rental that is associated with VACASA, VRBO, or, Tidewater Beach Resort.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

On Dec. 12th 2022, I booked a resort condo through VRBO for a family vacation in Florida to celebrate my 65th birthday. I booked and paid for a rental for 4 adults with 3 beds. The property I booked was listed as a two bedroom that sleeps 6 with a bed in a common area. When I was searching on VRBO before booking my rental I remember seeing that a bed in a common area would be a sofa sleeper/futon bed which I felt was acceptable for my adult children to take turns sleeping on. In my communication with the host I clarified that we were one couple and two other adults and needed 3 beds. I was assured the unit I was booked in had three beds. I also was concerned about our late check in since our flight was arriving in Tampa at 11:15pm. Our host knew about our late check in and provided instructions for the remote check in process.

It was 12:30am. By the time we got to our VRBO condo and were quite surprised and disappointed to find only 2 beds, and a small couch and chair not suitable for sleeping. I texted the host to inquire if we were in the correct unit explaining that there were only two beds and we needed 3. He replied that the 3rd bed was an air mattress and we could find it stored in a closet. I checked all the closets except the one in the bedroom where my son had already gone to bed. We were all tired and went to bed for a less than restful night of sleep.

The next morning I found the air mattress and called the host to let him know I felt I had been misled about the bed situation. He insisted that the 3rd bed in all of their rentals is always an air mattress! I never saw anything from his listing or general information on VRBO about an air mattress being a suitable bed in a vacation rental. He continued to insist that we were in the correct unit and the air mattress was the 3rd bed and that it was brand new! I told him it was not new and looked well used! I needed instructions on inflating the bed and kept him on the phone while I inflated it…The air came rushing out thru a giant hole in the seam! I let him know the air mattress had a giant hole in it and texted him a picture of it after I ended the call with him.

After I ended the call with the host I started a chat with VRBO about the situation. During the chat with VRBO the host texted me saying another mattress would be dropped off that day. Subsequent to the chat, I was on the phone with an agent at VRBO who, after a full explanation of the situation and sending a video of the property, finally agreed that VRBO could rebook us in another rental, but only if the host cancelled our current booking.

Sometime around 1:15 in the afternoon an anonymous person, I was later told it was from Instacart, dropped off a new, in the box air mattress. Unfortunately, the pump included with the bed needed batteries which were not included! I texted the host and requested he cancel our booking and he refused. His only offer to me was to Instacart the required batteries. I called VRBO back 3 times to escalate my complaint and was hung up on 3 times as soon as I explained that I had an open complaint. I finally had my daughter call on her phone and she was able to keep an agent on the line for about an hour while she tried to contact the host, also insisting that VRBO could not rebook us unless the host agreed to cancel the current booking. The host was unresponsive to the agent.

My family and I decided we did not want to invest any more of our precious vacation time and energy in a long battle with VRBO. I then texted the host and said we would stay in the unit if he could refund the cleaning and service fees. He refused to do so and would only insist that the “extra guest” was being accommodated! We did not have an extra guest! I booked and paid for a unit with 3 beds for four adults! My family and I then discussed other options and the possible repercussions of other actions. We ultimately decided that we could make the less than desirable situation work so we could enjoy the rest of our trip without worry of retaliation from the host. I texted the host to send the batteries. We never used the air mattress or the batteries.

Meanwhile, we noted that the carpet throughout the unit was very filthy with some very large stains, ceiling fan fins were covered in a thick layer of dirt, there was a large smear of grease on the cabinet over the microwave, the stove and microwave were either very dirty or damaged, there were several holes in walls and dents in doors. I took pictures of all of the dirt and damage which are time stamped within 48 hours of our arrival.

One of the other things I confirmed prior to our trip was the availability of the pool and hot tub listed as an amenity on the property. I was assured that they would both be open and the hot tub would be hot. On the day after we arrived, the hot tub was barely half full. Finally, 3 days into our stay, water had been added to make it full, but it was cold. On the 5th day, the temperature was finally hot. Just another disappointment and example of the bait and switch listing on this property.

In the instructions from the host which we received the day before our stay, he included a very firm warning about guests not having ANY contact with the leasing agent or the concierge of the property and if we did our booking would be immediately cancelled without a refund. We didn’t get these instructions until just before our arrival. I find this to be suspicious and it cast an additional ominous air over the entire stay. In a nutshell, the listing on VRBO was completely misleading. The pictures posted on the listing were not pictures of the unit we stayed in. There were only two beds instead of 3 and the place was dirty. We had no help or recourse from VRBO. I will NEVER use VRBO again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

We made a booking through VRBO at least 4 months in advance and the host cancelled last minute on the basis of “COVID”. This would’ve been fine but the same listing was found for 5x price the next day. (As I mention later, this exact thing also happened to another customer). We called VRBO because we weren’t able to leave a review for the listing after all this.

They first claimed you have to make the review within 14 days of the stay, which is incorrect based on their own website which says word for word: “The guest and host have one year to provide their review. However, once one party submits their review, the other party has 14 days to complete their review.” They said sorry for getting that wrong and then said we still couldn’t leave a review because the listing was cancelled and we didn’t actually stay on the property. This was also incorrect because there was another customer who detailed the exact experience we had, and they were clearly able to post a review even though they didn’t stay on the property. After researching, I saw this reason is used everywhere by VRBO to stop people from writing bad reviews. After all of this, they said they would look into it, put us on hold, and then hung up.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

I had made reservations using an incorrect card. I needed to cancel the reservation from that card. Marcella was unable to get approval to refund the money to the card that they just charged. I am talking minutes have gone by and they are telling me they cannot cancel it until 24 hrs. They need to verify no reservation was made through the actual property management site and proceeds to tell me there is a cancelation fee and she will check to see how much that will be. After being on hold and not getting any approval of any kind. I requested a supervisor call and she stated they can't help for 24 hours. Do not use VRBO unless it's written in stone that you are making a commitment to being charged at least 10% of the rental to make a reservation. Go to the actual owner or property manager. Do not use this 3rd party company that does not have the ability to assist if an error is made.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

We rented a VRBO in Lynchburg VA on Dec 30, 2022. When we got there not only was it in a sketchy area of town (very) but we also could not get into the rental. We finally - after hours - got the owner to respond. After a lot of negotiation, and the fact that she did not want me to post pics of the neighborhood with her post they decided to refund. Of course, I was told VRBO does not guarantee the safety of the neighborhood (understandable, but when you are in the most crime-ridden part of the area it is not reassuring).

It is now Jan 20 and I still am having trouble getting my refund from VRBO. Per VRBO they are a third party. Even though I paid VRBO, it is not their responsibility to refund me - I have to contact the owner - even though I have in writing that I am going to be refunded. Apparently, VRBO gives the money to Evolve and Evolve pays the owner, My credit card company is going to handle this from this point on for me. If you pay VRBO and your reservation is cancelled and you have in writing that you will get a refund, VRBO should be refunding you. They are just trying to make it difficult for me to get my refund. They can give that crappy excuse to my credit card company at this point.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

We rented an apartment for three months and identified a problem of significant odor early on. The owner was not accommodating and VRBO was not helpful since we could not send a picture or evidence of 'odor'. When we wrote the review of the apartment the owner did a hostile response which included personal information and outright lies. It took over two months for VRBO to review our case, after multiple requests. VRBO had the evidence of two months of communication between the owner and us but supported the owner. It is doubtful they reviewed the communication on their platform. VRBO represents the property owner, the source of their income, not the renter.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Four times in one morning, my husband and I attempted to book a VRBO in Charleston, SC, and each time we tried to book, we were allowed to pay, received confirmation of the booking, and then were immediately contacted by the host to learn that they no longer owned the property, expected us to share the rental with other guests, had already booked it out, or just didn't want to book. Each rental was over $1000 and we're now learning it could take weeks for us to receive our refunds.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I used to be able to see the gray shade for days taken, now they are all the same. This website absolutely sucks for the colorblind. Spent 37 minutes trying to find open days. Gave up, removed app!!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

My credit card was charged for a condo rental in Florida. Long story short, we had to cancel due to airline problems. I cancelled the rental in the appropriate time frame where we would be due a full refund. After 7 phone calls to VRBO and two to the host, I was still getting the run-round for a full refund. VRBO refunded their charges; but the host kept saying he did not have the money and that a third party had the money and he didn't know why it was not refunded yet. I ended up NOT disputing the charge on my credit card, but actually marking it as a fraudulent transaction since I had never authorized this third party to charge my card. I believe this issue should be between VRBO (which is why they are in this complaint), the host, and the third party. This should not be my issue but someone has my money and I want it back! My credit card company is still investigating this.

VRBO.com Company Information