3.5/5 (1791 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: June 21, 2022

We booked a place on VRBO (Property ID: 1940981) in Praiano Italy before Covid struck. When Italy when into lockdown, the host made us pay to move our booking. She even dictated new travel dates (not similar to our previous dates). We reorganised our entire Italy trip around those new dates. Upon arrival, she put us in a COMPLETELY different house. We had a group of 6 people, there was not enough crockery, no kettle, no aircon in all the rooms, not enough chairs, a lot smaller than the original house we booked for. When we told the host, she simply said "Well Amalfi is fully booked, and this is all I have"... Have tried to complain to VRBO and that has also fallen on deaf ears. They don't care about protecting future visitors, only their hosts (aka Maria **). Will NEVER use VRBO again, and will tell all my friends not to use them either.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Ical doesn't work. So you constantly get double bookings. I have had a case number and they said it was "top of the queue" problem but nothing. They haven't addressed it at all; no call; no email. I call once a week and nothing. I have 8 properties. 3 of the 8 don't have the inbox populating. The hold times are 1.5 to 3 hours -- even for the Premier member line. This company has REALLY gone downhill since Expedia bought it. Maybe they want to put us out of business so their bigger hotel partners can eliminate vacation rentals. Do they have a conflict of interest -- yes.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Tried to complete a reservation online and couldn't as the site did not accept "Canada" as a valid country. Called their support line and was told the site is having technical difficulties. Waited 30 mins, tried to book again and the price/night increased over $50. Called their support line again and was told they would not do anything as they are not accountable for price increases or issues caused due to issues with their website. Despite having screen shots with timestamps showing the issue on their end, Vrbo denied having anything to with the issue. Very poor service and dishonest service.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Save yourself the time and just list on Airbnb. I have been on both for around 2 years and will never list a property or use VRBO for my travels again. Be forewarned if you list a property with VRBO expect to be spammed to death by people who "kindly" want you to book outside of airbnb. Also, support is terrible. Even upon trying to remove the listing I could not find any online instructions that made sense on how to do so. I then tried to use the chat and the guy was useless and started by asking me why, I told him I wanted to move. He then ask if I had already sold it to someone else yet? I'm thinking, what the heck is this??? I want to remove the listing. Why so many freaking questions. Then after tell him just to cancel my account he said, "Let me know when you receive the code."

I said would I get that via text or email. He said text. I said that I didn't get it yet and he said then it must have went to my spam box and that he couldn't my account without the code. I said Spam box??? I don't have a spam box text, that's email. Then he left the conversation and put up some pre-written message saying I needed to call. This is ridiculous, as I'm leaving bad reviews I'm still on hold because they closed the chat.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I rented a one month rental apartment in New York City through VRBO. The night we got there the toilet flooded, the water ran out of the bathroom into the hallway and towards the kitchen. We are in our 60s and had no access to a bathroom. We called VRBO and after 5 hours on hold they booked us into a hotel and told us that they would rebook us into a different unit. After a couple of days we realized that they were not making an effort to find us another unit. They would not return our calls and communicated very vaguely.

We contacted the owner of the apartment asked if the toilet had been fixed, when she said yes, we asked for the keys to the apartment several times but she would not respond or make arrangements for us to have the keys. This is documented through various text messages. We went back to VRBO, they never booked us into a different unit instead we were shuttled from hotel to hotel, 6 different hotels in all through the next 12 days. We ended up returning home on June 12.

Despite several assurances from the various VRBO contacts that VRBO would make sure we got our money back today we got a message from VRBO stating that they could not offer us refund assistance without giving us any reason why, and said we should contact the owner. The owner absolutely refuses to make contact with us. She has our money, and did not give us the keys to return to the apartment, and VRBO who is the facilitator and is supposed to ensure access to the apartment told us we were on our own.

Original review: June 14, 2022

On May 8, we decided on a last minute trip to Maui for memorial day weekend. Luckily we found a great little spot so I booked it and I paid in full. In addition to the rental fee, cleaning fee, VRBO fee and taxes, there was a $1500 refundable deposit that I opted for rather than paying a $60 nonrefundable fee. The trip was great and in the first week of June I messaged the host thanking her and asked when the $1500 would be refunded. No answer but VRBO had a message in the payment breakdown stating if no damage was found, the $1500 would be automatically refunded by June 14 (this is over a month from when I originally paid) and I'm sure other guests stayed there over the past two weeks so why did it take so long to refund this money?

Here's the icing on the cake, on June 14 my refund of $1500 WAS INITIATED AND VRBO STATES IT WILL TAKE A MINIMUM OF 5 DAYS BUT UP TO 15 DAYS TO REFUND. So, that means there's a chance I won't get my money back for another two weeks. Never again will I book with VRBO. Keeping someone's money for this long is unacceptable and wrong.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I made reservations via Expedia.com. I received confirmation of reservations initially from Expedia. Then from Home Away.com and then VRBO.com. VRBO left a message my reservation was not available via VRBO.com. Home Away gave me contact information that was invalid. Email was not answered and phone number was disconnected.. Expedia did not help with contact information. Two days before my reservation, I did not know if the reservation was valid. It turns out the property had changed owners and the Expedia Group did not notify me of the change nor the contact information. The major problem is the Expedia group is so disjointed, that vital information was not disseminated to me. I will not trust this group in the future.

Original review: June 14, 2022

As mentioned by other customers here, there is no oversight of the hosts and no customer support when one needs it. London host cancelled with no explanation and VRBO customer support (AI probably) literally disconnected me. Closed account.

Original review: June 14, 2022

VRBO cancellation policies allow property owners to cancel days before trip with no penalties- and they can even re-list the property for a higher price for the same days. Plus, you can’t even leave a review to warn others that this happened, so the owner is free to do it again and again and again. These insane rules completely screw over the traveler and ruin entire vacations. This was my first and last experience with vrbo and I caution all users to find a different app and different company.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I rented an apartment through VRBO, and then several months later had a change in plans and put in a request to change the dates (selecting dates that the apartment was not already booked). The owner didn't respond, even after several messages to him through the platform and outside the VRBO platform -- WhatsApp, phone call. The owner did not respond -- it is now 8 days since I sent the first message, and on the VRBO platform it says the owner has 24-48 hours to respond. In a panic, we booked another property (owned by the same person) close by to the first property, for the dates that we needed.

The first property is much cheaper than the second (because had booked way in advance) so owner doesn't want to allow us to change dates, apparently. VRBO says they cannot help us resolve this issue. They say that even though the owner is unresponsive they can't do anything -- which of course is untrue, because it's VRBO's platform and they can require that owners respond, in order to be listed on the platform. Several VRBO customer service representatives told me they would pass my case on to a "Supervisor" who would call me back in 24-72 hours. When I called again yesterday, the agent I talked to said that in fact no request for a supervisor had been submitted. So several agents outright lied to me (perhaps passing along a case to a supervisor negatively impacts their performance review?). In short, I will NEVER book with VRBO again.

VRBO.com Company Information