2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

We could not make our trip to Aspen due to the state of energy in Texas. They refused to refund my money. Even told me “power is on in aspen you should come ski”. This is horrible to keep out 3400.00 because we could not leave our homes and family behind with no power and water. This is a natural disaster that we had no control over and they want to pocket the money instead of doing what is right. I hope this gets out to everyone and no one uses this service ever!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Due to Covid restrictions, we were not allowed to leave our province and travel to our VRBO destination. VRBO provided NO support or understanding. They said it is up to the "Host" and their booking rules. The "Host" would not even consider allowing us to reschedule our trip. They pocketed 100% of our payment. Shame on VRBO for not supporting the LAW and the health and safety of our communities.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I recently went onto VRBO to reserve a property for a little vacation getaway. After I made the reservation, I wanted to confirm the address of the property. I reached out to VRBO and the Google maps outlined a different property, not the one I reserved (based on the online pictures). I have since tried to contact the hosts to no avail. I tried to text chat with VRBO but It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever had to deal with. Absolutely ridiculous! VRBO wants to be in business and take people's money with little or no effort in helping. At what point do these people get away with doing business in such manner? I will be digging deeper into this because believe you me, I am getting my money back if you don't deliver on what you advertise. I would say to other people out there, be careful using these sites. This is my first time and it will be my LAST.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

The landlord was out of town and knowingly left us with a faulty entry system and NO EXTRA KEY. My family came into town and had our last night ruined by this. We were locked out and sat in our car for 2 hours. Could be a great place to stay if they had just checked the entry system. Never recommending this again!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Rented a beautiful condo 535 at Cinnamon Beach in Palm Coast thru VRBO who then turn you over to TurnKey. I love the rented condo and submitted a request for a quote for the same time in 2022. I received a note from TurnKey in return that the unit was being held for me. However when I called to confirm the next day they had already rented it out and explained that "first come -first served" is their policy. I told them their policy stinks. So be careful who you do business with.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I had my home listed on VRBO for 14 years. I switched from an annual fee to pay per booking because of COVID. They also told me that I had the options to go back to the annual fee basis at the time of renewal. They did not switch my account and charged me $499 (without prior notice) for the annual subscription. As I did not check my credit card and file for a refund within their arbitrary 90 day deadline, they refused my refund request - even though they took my money when they shouldn’t have.

Also, I have sold the property and rather than transferring the only 2 bookings to the new owner, the guests have to manually visit VRBO, cancel their holiday and re-book with the new owner. All VRBO cares about is a money grab. They do not treat owners fairly and are very user unfriendly to the guests that are paying a lot of money to book through them. I would never book through VRBO or use them again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

So to start off, if you have used VRBO in the past or present and have not had a cancellation then this will mean nothing to you. For us a totally different situation. As with all Canadians, no hot spots happening in 2021. With great excitement we found our spot in Puerto Vallarta for 2022. We spoke in length with the owner and all seemed perfect. On January 23, 2021 we booked through VRBO (which VRBO terms us as the buyer) in good faith with a 100% guaranteed refund if our cancellation was before January 16, 2022, as we're not scheduled to be there until January 30, 2022. Initially, online with VRBO, all payments were in Canadian funds until you click on the payment button. No turning back, they have your money, and now it is in US funds. Not what we expected, but ok we can do this.

Within less than 2 hrs the owner responds back to us cancelling our request to book stating there were inconsistencies in the rates with our booking that they did not agree with, and that now we had to go and cancel online as well. Seemed open and honest. In doing so our refund was not as promised. Our initial payment to VRBO was $4844.65 (CAD), this is only the initially payment. VRBO converted it to $3708.51 (US). VRBO refunded us $4566.39 (CAD). The difference (our loss) is $278.26 (CAD).

We first called the owner with our concern. He contacted VRBO and was informed that we were refunded in full and if we had any questions to contact them ourselves. So we called VRBO and they refused to refund the difference. They would not let us to speak with a Supervisor. We then called our credit card company and the explanation was, “here’s what VRBO does”. In short, VRBO charged us at a rate of 1.30% when we booked, even though our exchange rate was at 1.27% the day we booked and remained at that rate all week. Cancelling the reservation, at the owner’s request, only refunded us back at a rate of 1.23%. Sadly, our credit card company has heard this story far too many times, but their hands are tied. We understand there is a service fee of $499.00 to VRBO, but this was not to be charged to us unless we had a late cancellation.

According to our credit card company, by VRBO using the rates they did on January 23rd, this is VRBO’s way of getting a portion of their fee. Obviously we will never go through VRBO again, and for others, I would rethink using them. We don’t know if VRBO gave the owner a portion of the $278.26, but either way there should be no hidden cost. So, buyer beware. If you need to cancel or the owner cancels YOU TOO WILL BE SCAMMED.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Beware, Black Duck/VRBO 911683, property owners Renee ** & Rich ** cancelled reservation and kept deposit. We had a reservation made in 7/2020 for a 7/2021 stay. In Nov '20, we reached out to the owners to see what penalties, if any, we would incur if we cancelled. The owners informed us they have a 'no cancellation' policy and we would lose all of our deposit. After a bit of back and forth on trying to settle on an amount to forfeit, we decided to keep our reservation as is and not cancel at all. We chose not to lose any money. All documented in texts between us and owners.

A short time later, we received an auto-generated email from VRBO, saying our reservation has 'moved' to 2022, thus cancelling our original reservation but keeping our money. Apparently VRBO allows owners to randomly pick another date and move a reservation that ultimately locks your money from being refunded. They do this, because VRBO's cancellation policy states renters are due a full refund when the owners cancel. Well if the owners can keep moving a reservation without a request, VRBO and the owners have the ability to keep any amount of money they deem appropriate. No wonder VRBO isn't an accredited ConsumerAffairs business.

Does the general public know that about VRBO? Be careful and beware of unscrupulous practices from VRBO and owners, especially the Black Duck in Conneaut Lake, PA/vrbo 911683!!! They will cancel your reservation and keep your money. I'm positive we didn't know this was possible and I'm pretty sure the general public doesn't either. A mere inquiry about cancelling gives VRBO and the owners license to keep money by randomly moving your reservation to another date, even while the VRBO cancellation policy calls for a full refund when the owners cancel. We plan to keep pursuing our refund, and exposing this issue where appropriate. We will update this post if/when anything changes.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

We booked a rental in Tahoe for December 2020. VRBO emailed us and told us our stay was canceled as due to Covid19 concerns. We did not get a refund. Instead we have credit, but only for the same property and less than a year to use it! Avoid VRBO at all costs. I will never book with them or any of their partners.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We first booked a vacation property in Mazatlan with Airbnb. A month later that company advised us of its cancellation with the specific property agent, HomeetMX. In complete ignorance we saw the same property on VRBO but at a much higher cost. Enamoured by the photos, we booked it again and paid the new price.

On the day before our arrival HomeetMX demanded an additional damage deposit. We complained to VRBO, and HomeetMX was required to retract its demand. Upon arrival it was clear that we'd been duped. The place was filthy and replete with damage from what was likely a years-long history of property abuse. We complained to VRBO, but we also realized that our money had been spent and it wasn't coming back. The property agent, HomeetMX told us to check out a full day earlier than for what we'd paid. I sent the receipt showing the duration of our contract, and again they acquiesced. They got even with us, of course.

While we believed that our departure was perfectly in order, two days after we received notice via VRBO that we owed HomeetMX hundreds of dollars in property damage. Our credit card was charged accordingly. There were no photos of the alleged "damage" and no warning. I can't imagine there is any protection against this. Try to contact VRBO, and you will receive an "out-of-order" page, day after day. At the very least I will do my best to tell others: Avoid these people at all costs. Please.

VRBO.com Company Information