2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.1/5 (769 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: July 8, 2021

I purchased a week vacation for 7/6 to 7/13, paid over $1000 with the owner Daniel, for an apartment on the beach. Unfortunately a Hurricane threatened the State of Florida, and Southwest Airlines canceled MY flight, due to the excessive wind and rain. I immediately called the owner, and he told me, contact customer service, and vice versa. I was getting the runaround when I requested a refund for a natural disaster, beyond MY control. I just wanted a refund, I lost a week vacation, unfortunately, and VRBO and the owner refused to consider all the extenuating circumstances. They obviously don't care at all about the customers or their safety, just their bottom line!

Original review: July 7, 2021

All computer driven; no customer service when listing your property. From the listing end, if there is damage good luck as if the guest does not cop to damaged items insurance won't cover so have a very large deposit if listing. Also, if a guest gives an inaccurate review, slander, whatever, Vrbo will not remove. It appears anything goes. No oversight. Vrbo is always changing their policies and not to the benefit of the home provider. On the consumer end, booking a vrbo listing does not always confirm the booking even when providing payment. Need to wait to receive response back whereas other sites are confirmed when making payment. Being in the business for many years both as a home provider and as a rental guest, highly recommend to skip on vrbo and use rental agency or Airbnb to list and rent properties!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Rented a property in Hawaii in Dec 2020 for June 2021 vacation. 13 days before our trip, received a cancellation notice which states property needed to undergo emergency renovations but the same property was listed on both VRBO AND AIRBNB for $4000 and $3000 more respectively. Contacted VRBO and they said an emergency travel team would be in touch as soon as possible. That was June 6, 2021 and still have not heard from them. Contacted VRBO again today, July 6, 2021 and was told there was nothing they could do because it was outside the travel window! Will never use this site again and would highly recommend that nobody use it. It is a scam and they keep perpetuating it by not punishing the owners who cancel last minute. Not recommended for anybody.

Original review: July 4, 2021

They charge the customers way advance and they still delay the payment to the owners. First VRBO waits 1 business day to process the payment, second it takes 5 to 6 business day for the funds to reach the owner's account. In this digital world, there is no wiring transfer that takes 7 business day, even an individual person can literally send wire transfer to across the world within minutes, VRBO is simply sitting on owner's money for their own benefit, it is like not enough to get 15% cut from the transaction, they are still trying to make a few more bucks chucking the owners' throat.

Original review: July 3, 2021

TRAVELER BEWARE. Just traveled 20 hours, driving from Pennsylvania to Florida for our anniversary trip, only to receive a message on VRBO from DOC SHROEDER, owner of SUNGLOW CONDOS in Madiera Beach Florida, that Max is not approved to stay at the condo. We have WRITTEN CONFIRMATION from May 17, 2021 that he was approved to stay for the agreed upon fee of $100. He then today tried to say we didn't send vet records, despite that not being explicitly written anywhere. I immediately sent the vaccination records from the vet. Doc, owner, then says, he will provide a one bedroom unit but not the one we paid for (in full already).

I called and requested pictures of the unit he was proposing since that was not the one we paid for. He accused me of not being willing to work with him and demanded I cancel the reservation. I said I just wanted pictures since he is changing the terms of the rental and he said "just cancel the reservation and get it done." He told me he would refund it in full and I said it had to be in writing. He messaged that information and I cancelled the reservation, only to receive a message after from him stating, he cannot refund taxes and fees so I would have to contact VRBO. Completely ridiculous.

Original review: July 3, 2021

No hot water last 2 days of vacation rental. VRBO said they would correct the problem for (NEXT GUESTS). Very poor response. Trashman comes in the rental to get trash. (Not Good. No comment from VRBO.) Bad rapport.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I used VRBO to book a beach house in Newport Ca. I got a confirmed email and money taken out of my account. Later that night the owner sent me a message to insure there would be no partying going on during the visit. I sent an email back letting her know we would not be and we are very quiet and low key. I never heard back for 3 days until vrbo called me to let me know that the owner was wanting to cancel due to a double booking. The representative from vrbo said the owner is not able to cancel that I have the right to the house since she double booked it and don’t have her calendar up to date. Vrbo said they would call me back and let me know what she said. I never heard back from them so I called them. The representative said that nobody from vrbo called me and it was a scam after telling them multiple time no it was someone from vrbo. They said, "Oh wait here are the notes."

They said the owner never responded and I had to wait to hear back from them even though she already called them to cancel. They said if I cancel I don’t get my money back but if she does that vrbo will help me find a new place and pay 50% more of what I already paid. So days goes by and I had to call several times due to lack of communication from them. Every time you call you are on hold for 30 plus minutes and then a few times get disconnected after waiting. I finally got the cancellation notice but still no refund. When I called about trying to get another place they say I don’t qualify for them helping me even though it states in policy that they will. This company is not consistent with what the reps say and everyone has a different answer. I’m still waiting for my refund and can’t book anything until I get my refund. I highly recommend not biking with this company.

Original review: July 2, 2021

If you cancel you are penalized. If the host cancels, even hours before your reservation, they have no penalties. You can only review if you actually stayed, unlike Airbnb. I reserved a stay over 2 weeks prior. 3 hours before checking time, I messaged the host to ask for instructions and he refunded my payment. No reasons or apologies.

Original review: July 2, 2021

VRBO posts properties that violate local (and state) ordinances/laws. I have made over a dozen calls to get my money back, and I’m told “it’s up to the property owner” even though it should never have been listed. I'm never using this platform again, as the customer service agents can’t do much except scripted responses (and supervisors are never available).

Original review: July 1, 2021

VRBO property #1810436, reservation ID#**. When you go to that property number on the VRBO site, it states it's $175 per night, we were charged an extra $367 on top of our our $656.83 for four nights (which is a 55.9% fee!!) There was nothing and NO MENTION of these fees in the booking section and on top of that the owner gets charged 10% also. DO NOT USE VRBO EVER!! The property's description of its location was way off, no mention of a narrow, steep 9 mile dirt road to the location, much less no mention of services being as far away as one hour's drive (on that "road"). Owners need to supply GPS coordinates because the description of their location is not accurate at all and they know it, yet haven't fixed it as of this review.

VRBO.com Company Information