2.54/5

Discover a great timeshare now

1728 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I did a reservation through VRBO in August 2018 and paid in full. In Feb 22, 2019 I received an e-mail from VRBO cancelling my reservation with no reason. I went to their website and found that my cancelled listing # **, property owned by Federico **, was available to rent during the same time period I had the reservation for, but he had increase the cost by 111.00%. I call VRBO and they gave me a case # but they said there is nothing they can do because the owners have control of the properties. I cannot even write a review on the listing telling people what has happen so they are aware of the problem. This is probably legal but it is unethical. We are going to our grandson wedding. Now we have to look for another rental in a short time. Can Consumer Affairs do anything about this behavior, so other people do not have the same experience we had?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have been renting on VRBO for 10 years - not too many problems. Now I have this renter make an instant booking. He stays in my property for 2 days and it’s trashed - I have to repaint walls, cigarette ashes everywhere, clear violation of my rules. So I call VRBO - they say the policy is blanket and they can’t do anything. The most I can do is send another payment request or email this fake Gmail. Wait what!? You’re not going to step in and provide disputes resolution! You’ve lost my trust - 10 yrs is renting as a owner. But $5k in damage because you couldn’t check someone’s driver's license!? Absolutely not - I pay $399 a year and the 3% credit card fee per renter (yes that’s coming out of my pocket) and an additional amount per renter ($50-100) and you tell me that’s all for advertising!? WHY AM I PAYING YOU!? I can’t even get this user banned from the site - the most I can do is rate him badly.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

VRBO service fees tend to jump upwards for no reason when booking. Looks like gouging once you have shown interest in property. Used last month at 5.5% service fee. Looked at same property for about same $ rental for next year and it again showed 5.5% service fee. Contacted owner to request discount as repeat customer. Delay of 48 hours as we agreed to discount amount. Booked to find that slight discount on rental had jumped VRBO service fee to 8.7%. Hour on phone being passed around from rep to rep only to be told that they can vary fees at their discretion. AVOID this company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I rented a nice looking studio w/ kitchen in Palm Springs for a month. VRBO accepts payment of $2,700.00. I arrive night of reservation to find the owner says it's not ready yet. This is already 4 hours after agreed check in time. After giving in and checking back two hours later he says it's still not ready! I show up anyway as I have nowhere else to go. It's a DUMP. Trash bags block the entrance. Trash bags are in the unit. Rancid curry odors are overwhelming. It looks like a crack addict has been living there, the place is filthy. Also window don't work, bare horrifying light bulb is the only light source. The owner is scurrying speaking unintelligible English. I try to use the restroom. NO HOT WATER! I'm freaking out. It's now 10 PM and it's pouring rain out and I have nowhere else to go.

Owner finally decides to call it a night and wants to leave but HAS NO KEY to the unit. Says maybe he can get one to me tomorrow or the next day! I finally have no choice but to bail out and the owner verbally agrees to my cancelling and promises a refund. I leave. A few hours later I find an acceptable tiny motel for the night and call VRBO phone help. THERE IS NONE. Just none English speaking automatons reading from a script.

After two hours of trying to get assistance I'm finally told the only way to receive a refund it to go online and cancel the reservation on VRBO's site. I do that and finally get some rest. Next day after a total of 16 calls for help over a four hour period I finally get an English speaking "supervisor" who informs me that I have cancelled all of VRBO's liability by cancelling my reservation which I only did on the recommendation of their representatives. VRBO denies any liability and refused to intercede! Oh yeah and all the previous "issues" I stated are considered "housekeeping" issues and according to the supervisor "never" result in a refund. One last thing the supervisor said that had I had a photograph to prove he didn't have a key I "might" have a valid complaint. How can one photograph nothing? As of now I'm out $2,700.00 FOR NOTHING!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

VRBO's website leaves a lot to be desired. Multiple times I had to clear the browser history so I could ask an owner/manager a question - their form would not accept information without doing this (I was directed to constantly clear browser history by VRBO customer service). That was annoying - but what was really bad with their website was I loaded my card information 4 times because it kept kicking it out with error messages stating my address info was incorrect - it was not.

The final time I entered the card their system accepted it - Uh oh!!! I found my card had been charged 4 times within the span of 5 minutes. 2 times it was automatically refunded, but the 3rd time it was not. Upshot - I was charged twice for the same reservation. I called customer service and they said the additional charge would drop off in 1-3 business days. I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. If your website is so buggy to decline your card but then charge it every time it was declined your site should NOT BE UP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Tried for almost two hours to speak to a USA representative and/or a manager about a fraudulent property listing. The India representatives were zero help and refused to transfer me or ask for a manager. This company is worthless. Leadership...take notice! This is where the downfall starts!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

This is more of an issue with VRBO than the property owner. Looked at booking a place to stay for 4 nights in Orlando, came across Calypso Cay Villa for great rate...but should have known there was a catch. Got a message from the "property owner" after I submitted the reservation that said in order to get the rate on the listing, I would need to take a tour of the facility while staying. If not, the rate would jump over 300%. One - I don't think timeshare companies should be permitted on VRBO. Two - if they are, the terms of the rental should be CLEARLY defined on the very first page before you go any further with a reservation. I wanted to complain to VRBO but they make you jump through hoops just to try and lodge a complaint.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The New York condo we rented on the Upper East Side was advertised as a one bedroom. It was a Murphy bed in the living room. The condo was run down and dirty. The location was awesome. The place was not. VRBO was not willing to help when notified.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I booked a property in Ft Walton Beach FL, in October for March 2019 and paid the deposit. Purchased airline tickets for my husband and me in December. Last week I got a notice that the balance was due, so I paid it immediately. Yesterday, the owner contacted me to tell me that she had canceled my reservation because VRBO didn't charge me the right amount.

It's now a month before we are scheduled to leave and we have nowhere to go, unless we want to spend thousands of $$ for another place at the peak of Spring Break. VRBO gave me the runaround for 3 hours on the phone, making me chase agents. The sixth person I talked to conceded that the owners can cancel any time, for any reason. My deposit was refunded, but I still have plane tickets I can't use. But they are filing a Complaint Report on my behalf!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

If you are a guest, please know regardless of the inconvenience calling a VRBO representative or using their website, you must do your own cancellation. Hosts want to help you, but VRBO forbids it. I assisted two guests, one with a critically ill child and one newly diagnosed with cancer with their cancellations. I have been stripped of my Premier Host status because of this. Hosts pay for the privilege of being listed with VRBO, but not other sites and this is the treatment we receive. Unfortunately, hosts are not given this information or instruction prior to being penalized.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We booked a property in Waikiki (VRBO #1413243). Did not know that we booked this as received no verification from the manager Ben ** even though we had to put in credit card details. A week out from the trip after we had booked somewhere else we finally get an email asking us for our trip details. As we had already booked somewhere else and could not cancel we asked why we were only hearing from him now. He had our phone number as well. He said we put in wrong email address and he only just figured it out. He told us to cancel the booking which would have resulted in him taking 50% of the booking. Tried to resolve this with VRBO but they don't seem to care. Also trying to take legal action but they just give you a generic email with no contact or phone number. They have taken $1600 of our money and have this crook of an owner on their books. Do not book VRBO #1413243 in Waikiki.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I accepted a last minute booking (maybe 2 days before arrival) for my condo in December 2018. The guests were horrific - spray tan all over the sheets and towels which wouldn't come out, broken lamp, filthy, lots of guests, just completely disrespectful. At the end of their stay, the agent who handles this for me made the mistake of letting them know there would be something coming from their security deposit to pay for damages. Big mistake. Next thing I know, they ask VRBO for a chargeback. There was zero reason to think they would prevail given the fact that these people were factually there the entire time, checked in and out by my agent, and had made zero complaints. My agent was contacted by VRBO via email and he responded to their requests.

This communication continued for over a month and still I had not been paid. I decided to call VRBO's payment center myself today (2 months later) and I was told case closed. I would not be paid. According to the payment center, they sent an email 11 days and 12 days after the end of the stay to my agent asking for the guest's photo ID. WTH?! If you as a payment center need that, then why didn't you ask them for it when you were taking their credit card details? Or at very least warn me to ask for it upfront. Make me sign a box saying I understand I need this? I'm not sure yet whether he saw those emails, I only know he's been in correspondence with them well beyond the December 23rd date the payment center says it closed the case.

I believe as others on this thread seem to indicate, that VRBO and their third-party payment center are in cahoots. The left hand "doesn't know" and certainly doesn't care what the right hand is doing because under no circumstances are they losing money. It serves them well to fail to warn landlords of the risk they are taking and how to avoid it upfront. It serves them perfectly well to allow us to assume the risk while they collect the money for their fees either way. And it serves them well not to get involved in any way shape or form in the matter between landlord and tenant. Again, they've got their money. I would love to participate in a class action lawsuit because this is out and out fraud. VRBO, the payment center and the "guests" who know how to abuse this situation to their advantage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Booked a cabin for the Smoky Mountains. Read agreement, put in payment info. Was told I would be charged a amount and the rest 30 days before trip. A hold for full amount was put on account the second I hit enter and then VRBO put two holds 178$ for service fee. After I called Sunday (they advertise 24 hrs) and waited over an hr, I hung up and went online for the chat. I was told that all those fees were just a hold and they would fall off if I cancel the reservation. They couldn't do it, I had no idea I booked through another company. Going on the VRBO was no use because they had no cancel button. I called the 888 number on the page, waited again. Finally got a person NOT from VRBO to cancel this, send me confirmation and drop the huge portion from my card.

VRBO has still not done a thing to help me book with confidence. Called VRBO today because those 2 178$ holds from them were still on. One dropped one charged. I called to ask for a refund because I didn't drop reservation. I was hung up on when they said they refunded me. I tried to explain that there were 2 original holds, one fell the other charged. So I went online, told them my story, they stopped the chat! I did find a 866-210-6106 number for payment processing. They are not stealing my money. I’ll call them tonight and wait again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My booking was canceled by the owner after 2 weeks of the booking and right before my holiday starts. So VRBO had first assured me that they will find a similar place for me and kept me waiting for the last moment. I made 100 calls and emails to them. I was willing to pay extra for the apartments I like. Even though the apartment was available, they didn't book it, but left me hanging till the depart for my holiday. VRBO agents are extremely irresponsible, they will assure you so much but never does keep their words.

They just didn't want to reimburse anything so they didn't book my apartment. At-least they could have said that at the beginning, then I would have arranged it through other site, as I did it just the day before my holiday starts. It was such a stress on my first time experience with VRBO. I have been Airbnb customer for last 5 year, never gone through this type of experience as I had to with VRBO. NEVER CHOOSE VRBO FOR YOUR HOLIDAY BOOKINGS.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

VRBO customer assistance is truly abysmal, in fact almost non-existent. The 'Book with Confidence ' guarantee is marketing only without any substance. I have booked with VRBO in the past without issue. But recently, I booked a stay in Mexico and had been trying to reach the host via VRBO to confirm our arrival time. After 3 attempts, I never heard back once. I contacted VRBO and they said they would try. But no one called me back. The final payment went through on my booking but I had until this week to cancel for a full refund. I opted to book elsewhere realizing this seemed very suspect. I followed the VRBO process and initiated the cancellation- it said to allow the host 24 hours to respond- but maintaining consistency, the host did not respond.

I called VRBO again today, as I received an email from them, after I initiated the cancellation, stating that you should try to resolve with the host and if unable to "contact your payment provider". I asked for clarity- basically there is no process for refund if your host doesn't respond. I was told I needed to contact my credit card which is exactly what I've done. But what I find egregious here is that I followed VRBO's process and the host did not but the burden falls on the renter not the host. I received no support from VRBO. If I had known the outcome, I would have saved myself countless calls to VRBO and just gone straight to my credit card representative. I have used other rental sites and have never encountered a problem with cancelling a reservation as I have with VRBO. In the future, I will not be reserving vacation rentals with VRBO and would caution others as well.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Rented our home Dec 21-25, 2018. Housekeeper upon arrival Dec 26 late in day found door left wide open in 5 degree temperature inside thermostat reading 80 degrees. Looking around from entering realized something not right. Every light in home was left on. She immediately started taking videos and pictures of damage Destroyed decapitated karaoke Santa lying on outside deck, dishwasher overloaded and broken, locked door to owner room attempted to be opened with a tool that scraped and damaged the door, towel rack pulled out of the wall. This was reported to us Dec 26 and we notified Home Away immediately. On Jan 4 the $1000 security was deposited in our bank. On Jan 9 it was withdrawn from our account. We were notified by Home Away we had to provide documentation with pictures and receipts and we did that by Dec 29.

We were given a date of Jan 13 that we would hear from Home Away. On Jan 12 we called to make sure they had all that was needed and we were assured yes. When we did not see the money deposited in our account we called and they said case closed. We were put in touch with a company we never heard of (and by the way we have not seen mention of this company with all them new info on the changes Home Away has recently made with Expedia). VacationRentPayment was contacted on Jan 26 . They told us they had sent emails to us twice and we did not respond with evidence of damage we told them we sent it to Home Away as requested by Home Away after many phone calls it was realized they were sending to an old email address question.

1 Why was all info on our rental I'd etc. sent to VRP except our correct email address? 2 Why after daily texting with Home Away did they not communicate before Jan 26 to us that we needed to contact VRP? 3 Finally on the morning of Jan 26 VRP opened the closed case and asked us to send them the evidence. We did immediately on Jan 26 by noon on Jan 26 by 7 that evening of Jan 26 received a message from Yapstone another company we never heard of. They told us case closed not enough evidence and too late.

Yapstone said we should speak to traveler directly (traveler left us a review "nice place nice visit" but he trashed our home. We were not about to confront him. He also appeared at our door after he was notified he may not get security back. We notified police. The other suggestion Yapstone gave was to notify authorities that we had already done, and the last suggestion was to get a lawyer. Facts about us. We are 81 and 84 years old. We own this house for the past 36 years and want to pass it to our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.

In order to do that we are carefully renting so we can pay taxes and upkeep. We have never kept the $1000 security from any renter because we never had any renter trash our home. Last year we had a renter who moved the gas grill close to house because of rain and it was too close and melted the vinyl siding. That renter called us to apologize and to tell us he was paying for repair. Those are the kind of people we have been fortunate to rent to in the past. We feel the communication breakdown of this company Home Away with partners companies VacationRentPayment and Yapstone is non existent or intentionally non existent. We are asking for the security money that was returned to our outrageous guest be redeposited in our account from the largest worldwide vacation rental travel company. We are not giving up and we are asking for help in who else to contact about this absurd situation.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Tried to book a home through VRBO only to find that the owner added an $800 fee to my reservation. VRBO stated that this was acceptable and would not allow me to book the property at the advertised rate. This is a classic bait and switch. Don't waste your time with these clowns.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

The continuing increase in fees charged to both the owner and traveler with HomeAway and VRBO are making their platform less desirable from both an owner and traveler perspective. Every property owner I know that uses their platform wants nothing more than to drop them as soon as possible because the combination of fees charges since the take over by Expedia have become abusive. We are all hoping that Airbnb and other rental platforms will grow in popularity for both the benefit of the property owner and traveler. I already feel this trend is in motion in my area as the revenue generated under VRBO/HomeAway has declined in the past year. I have 3 properties coming up for annual renewal in 2019 and I am strongly considering dropping them. It's not like either myself or my guests have benefited at all from the increase in charges. Revenue from their platforms are down and that says it all.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We own a 3500 Sq.Ft. Beach Home that we take great pride in and opened it up to others to enjoy as well in the summer of 2018. Our first rental season (2018) with VRBO went very well and quickly achieved PREMIER PARTNER STATUS. The customer service reps. were very helpful and listened to your suggestions and seemed to care. Read on to see where it all changed for the worse.

VRBO decided to add more criteria to keep this (Premier Partner) status. The one that I really have an issue with is the ACCEPTANCE RATE. They penalize you if you do not accept a guest even if the guest is not a good fit for your Home. I feel they just want to rent to anyone so they can collect their commission from the renter and homeowner. This is pressure to the Homeowner and could cost us damage to our home, our neighbors, and local Township if a house full of partiers or other unwelcome type of guests are accepted.

I had an instance where I turned down a request because I found out a bunch of teenagers were trying to rent our Home for Senior week and we clearly state in our listing NO SENIOR WEEK RENTALS and that it is a family area. When I saw my BOOKING ACCEPTANCE rating drop and no longer have PREMIER PARTNER STATUS I called CUSTOMER SERVICE. The response was that I am expected to accept rental reservations and could also have my account closed if I did not. Everything I suggested or said the woman, she made excuses for and said they would not be changing anything for me any time soon. Really, is this acceptable to talk to a customer like this??? I was made to feel like I was just complaining and that she or VRBO did not care at all about protecting me or our home.

I had also suggested that they adopt a similar program for the guests so that homeowners can see the good guests from the not so good. They said they want people to be able to book and not be rejected. That tells me they only want their fees. In closing there are areas VRBO need to wake up and address some relationship issues with Owners or there will be less Highly desirable Houses available when we take our listings down. Their current attitude will only hurt Guests and Owners in the long run.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I started listing my property with VRBO about 6 years ago. It was a wonderful website and gave owners and guests the opportunity to communicate and ask questions. As an owner, I was able to establish a rapport and offer an invaluable amount of customer service to my future guests. Since Expedia purchased the company it has gone downhill. Imagine checking into a hotel and having a machine spit out your key. Want area info, sorry. Have questions, sorry. Problem with billing, really sorry! Want to be fee'd to death? Now we are talking! That is the only thing they are good at! Wait, I forgot one. Their guarantee that you pay a ridiculous amount for is worth nothing.

I rent in a very popular seasonal destination. We sell out in certain months. Yet I get calls every season from people that have booked through VRBO, are not happy with their accommodations, and think that VRBO will stick to their million dollar pledge. They get the whole, 'I'm sorry but the whole city is sold out. We cannot help you." People are left to fend for themselves. Maybe if there had been some communication allowed between the owner and the tenant this would not have happened!

To all of you looking to rent through VRBO it is a horrible company. I will not renew with them next year. It is a nightmare for me and for my guests. Apparently other companies are listening because we have some good competition coming and I'll be the first to sign up. A couple of years ago, I booked a Hilton through Expedia. When I went to check-in the hotel did not have my reservation. They promised to find me a comparable hotel. At midnight, when I was supposed to have checked in at 4 pm, they called to tell me they had found me an Extended Stay America in a rough part of town. With no alternative, as a family of four, we checked in to find a horrible room with just one bed. No refund. No apologies. Comparable property. Expedia and VRBO, one and the same. Horrible company. No customer service!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Just went to book two (TWO!) nights in a condo at Virginia Beach. Listed as $175 per night. Total due now? $1,100. Why? $175/night, cleaning fee of $150 (REALLY?). Other fees $49, refundable security deposit, $500 (WHAT?) and then taxes on top of that. $1,100 for two nights in the winter? Forget it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

In early January I booked a Vegas "luxury condo" via HomeAway. My booking receipt said the property manager would sent me an email with check-in instructions. When I hadn't received such an email (or any other communication) from the property manager/owner as I neared check-in time, I attempted to contact the "manager" via the provided phone number. I got an answering machine that promised a call back. When I still hadn't received a call after the check-in time, I tried to call again. Same result. Lacking any way to gain access to the condo, I made other (very expensive) arrangements.

I then contacted HomeAway seeking a refund. Their response would be farcical under any circumstance. But given their "Book with Confidence Guarantee", their response has been, well, CRIMINAL (as in fraud). Not only is there no guarantee, their policy makes it MY burden to prove that I had no access to the condo. (What is the saying about proving a negative?) I have been told to seek a refund from my credit card company or the property manager (who I've never heard from). My guarantee is that I'll never book with HomeAway again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Our party of 7 (4 adults and 3 children under ages of 11) travelled from Chicago USA to Aruba January 5th 2019. At the time of check in we were greeted at the rental property by an associate of the owner and rental manager. Upon inspection it was clear the property was not as advertised and failed to meet safety and cleanliness standards indicated by the owners. After raising our concerns to the property manager, who escalated them to the owner via phone we were told there was nothing they could do about the issues due to it being a weekend and they would “fix it when they could fix it”. The owner was also, drunk and verbally abusive to me on the phone, telling me he suggests I DO NOT leave his property. Upen leaving and in the next correspondence with the owner requesting a refund, he indicated he knew where we were staying, again another reason NOT to communicate with the owner anymore.

At that time we declined to check in and requested a full refund to the owner and manager – citing our safety concerns, overall state of the property and pool. The manager verbally accepted our cancellation and indicated we would receive a full refund before we left the property to find alternative accommodations. We do not have any other form of cancellation documentation as none other was provided to us by the owner or made available through the VRBO rental service. In addition, given the nature of how the owner was treating us we were advised by Travel and Safety not to communicate anymore with the owner. Our family then checked into a local hotel for the night at our own expense and secured an alternative property the next day through a separate source for the remainder of our vacation – also at our own (and increased) cost from the original property.

We attempted to confirm with the original property owner through the VRBO.com messaging service the amount and timing of our refund however we were unable to resolve the matter. The subsequent replies we received from the property manager made it clear we were not going to issue a refund. Our family then opened a claim with VRBO and as recommended by them opened a dispute with our credit card company to help resolve the matter. I tried to work with Travel and Safety for the past three weeks on my case that I opened and they told me they can't help me.

We are deeply dissatisfied with the rental service we received from VRBO listed property and at the stress and additional expense this has placed on our family while travelling abroad. I have all my communications with VRBO indicating VRBO would help and refund me and they are NOT. Could you please investigate this matter immediately?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Think twice before booking a property through VRBO. I booked two properties for a 12 day stay in Hawaii; one was a dream and the other a nightmare. The nightmare property was a unit at Island Colony and I had a signed contract through Hawaiian Paradise Retreats, (who had numerous negative complaints on Yelp) which would be the only correspondence I would receive from them. Several complaints on Yelp stated how they canceled their reservation at the last minute which was the same situation I was having.

After alerting VRBO there was a problem on November 30th, I received the worst customer service in 45 years and did not get a new reservation until December 27th, the day before I was to arrive in Hawaii. Their book with confidence guarantee means nothing. I was given a case # and contacted them nearly every other day ~ you would think when you call in you would speak to the same customer service rep, instead each time it's somebody different, you get the run-around, or lied to. Hence the reason they have only 1 star with the Better Business Bureau and I don't think they care.

According to Wikipedia, they are a subsidiary of HomeAway and part of a conglomerate of the Expedia Group which owns CarRentals.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Trivago, and TripAdvisor. Therefore, they don't need to give good customer service, since you will simply go to one of their other companies. Also according to Wikipedia, "A federal lawsuit accuses Austin-based vacation rental company HomeAway Inc. of engaging in “bait and switch tactics”." I can't begin to tell you all the aggravation because of this reservation and how it ruined my Christmas and I couldn't even look forward to my trip. The worst part is ~ it took me six weeks to push the button and reserve these properties. I should have listened to my gut.

If you book a reservation through VRBO, you need to be tenacious and ready to go to HELL AND BACK if there is a problem with the reservation. Furthermore, you can't post a review on VRBO's site unless you stay at the property. I told VRBO, had they allowed me to write my complaint, it would warn others of Hawaiian Paradise Retreats practice of canceling at the last minute. Renter Cavē which in Latin means Renter Beware!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

We rented property ** on VRBO. The owner (**) gave us a small discount if we went offsite with the payment. We were to rent the property for the entire month of January 2019. We drove all the way from Michigan to "snowbird" in Florida for the first time. Without letting us know, Suzette had the property listed for sale and was actively showing it when we pulled up on January 2, 2019. The realtor literally had to move her car so we could park under unit and unload. The owner also stopped by unannounced to drop off a remote control for a DVD player.

The biggest complaint came when she asked us to vacate the property for the next day, either for the morning or afternoon so the property could be shown again. We vacated halfway through the rental and contacted VRBO. They said they have never dealt with this but supported us and encouraged us to start a complaint (ref#**). Now they are telling me that I have to hash it out with the owner. VRBO and their property owners are SKETCHY. We lost over $1000 on this terrible trip and the property was nothing like the description. No gulf view as indicated on listing.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I spent a couple of hours getting my Florida VRBO site up and running (despite repeated problems saying my photos weren't the right size!?) and I got an email from their "underwriter" in either Ireland or the U.K. saying I needed to provide a bunch of stuff including my U.S. driver's license (I don't have one, I'm Canadian as I explained), my and my wife's passports, a void check, and on and on. I provided it all except the DL, and finally a week later I was asked to provide a bunch more things, including said driver's license again, and our marriage certificate (as if we travel with our marriage certificate - what is this, Saudi Arabia?). Sounds like a scam to me. Meanwhile my Airbnb listing on the same property went live problem free and has been producing great results. I wouldn't waste my time with VRBO.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I got 3 quotes online for a weekend accommodation and this company was the cheapest (I have a screenshot of the quote) so I booked through their website. Nowhere in any of the quote did it say it was in US dollars and when I got the charge on my credit card it was so much more than any other quote because it had been converted to AUS dollars. I have called the company twice and they have fobbed me off telling me to ring the property owner to sort it out but the property owner can’t do a thing about it. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My husband and I own a country inn which we rented out through VRBO for years with no problem. Then VRBO was apparently bought out by Expedia. They're now using (a third-party?) that goes by the name of Yapstone or Rent Me or RentPayment.com. (Is it REALLY a third party, or just THEM using an alternate name?)

The VRBO website displays how much you're SUPPOSED to be paid. They do NOT display the status regarding whether or when payment was or is to be paid.

Yapstone/ Rent Me/ RentPayment.com insists that an absurd amount of documentation be submitted. Once you've met all their requirements, they'll look for excuses to deny your payout. If you call to verify that documents have been received, they'll acknowledge receipt, assure that payment is on its way then have HomeAway email you A WEEK LATER to say that one of the documents you submitted was never received.

Once that document has been resent, acknowledged and payment assured, you'll AGAIN hear from them yet ANOTHER WEEK LATER saying that they need YOUR ID (instead of your spouse's - even if other documents prove that both the property and bank account are in BOTH your names!) or they'll invent some other excuse. There is never a way to speak to a supervisor or get matters resolved.

One can't help but think these people are holding funds for as long as possible as a means of earning huge amounts of money for themselves. It makes me wonder if they own a payday loan company or some other SCAM. If you are someone who consistently manages to maintain kind, friendly, and positive exchanges with customer service, these people are guaranteed to push your way past the limit of your patience! If there's a class action lawsuit against them citing these nefarious business practices, someone please tell me where to sign up! By the way, since Expedia now owns VRBO, I'll never book any vacations through them again EVER.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I arrived at the property and realized immediately that it wasn't what was advertised -- the homeowner advertised a "separate English basement" space but it was actually a guest room on the second floor. I left immediately and called VRBO. They said they would investigate. They were willing to admit that the ad was misleading and violated their terms of service (they took the listing down), but they refused to refund my money. They said my dispute was with the homeowner who had already refused to refund my money. DO NOT USE VRBO.COM.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Will not pay me my money... They say my account number is wrong. But when I ask Yapstick they won’t give me old account number to fill out on their DocuSign. VRBO and HomeAway need to be shut down. Use Airbnb! I’ve talked to supervisor on HomeAway and they even called their payment processor and won’t give them the old number. This is all a ploy to rip the customer off and keep their money. HomeAway or VRBO won’t allow a update of account on their website. Looks like I will have to sue to get my money back. I will never use these incompetent crooks again!

VRBO.com Company Information