3.16/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Discover a great timeshare now

1795 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

Following a two-month advance reservation, owner sold property, closed escrow, and cancelled my reservation three days prior to dates of tenancy. Without protection from such reservation abuse, I cannot trust that the same will not recur. I will make no further reservations through VRBO.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We arrive to the home which we rented for three days. When we rented the home apartment via The VRBO/Home Away from Home, the description of the property stated it was refurbished and parking on the premises was available. Upon our arrival we had no where on the property to park and the property had no parking on it as stated. Called the owner who said she sent us a welcome email we never got with instructions on. She told us we could park in the public street if we found parking or in a paying parking garage ½ mile away. Well that was a bad start! So in opening the house door, we realize this was not a house but an upstairs apartment. Description stated it was an entire house, not an apartment above another apartment, which was occupied.

So, after we parked in the street, we began to take our suitcases in the house and up a flight of stairs which was not mentioned. While waiting for the rest of the luggage to be brought upstairs, I went to the kitchen and decided to make a cup of tea. I grabbed a cup to get water so I could get water from the kitchen faucet and turned on the faucet in the kitchen to fill my cup with water to heat. I turned around to place the cup on the counter and I had a man knocking relentlessly on the back door, who I had no idea who he was. He was crying out that water was coming into his apartment when I turned on the kitchen water faucet. I was alone in the kitchen and it startled and scared me as I did not know who he was.

I called out to my friend and told my friend there was a man knocking on the door yelling out that there was water coming into his apartment every time we turned the kitchen faucet for water. My friend asked him who he was and he replied that he was the tenant and owner of the downstairs apartment home and that water comes into his apartment when the kitchen sink or water is used every time from this apartment we rented and were in. Both of us were perplexed and ask him to meet us downstairs at the entrance in the street. We rented this apartment in good faith and good will through Home Away from Home/VRBO.

In speaking with the owner/renter of the apartment downstair, we were told by him that the upstairs’ apartment owner Claire, has known about the water leaking issue into his apartment for a while and it has been going on for four months. Problem: The owner of the upstair apartment leaking water to the tenant apartment downstairs rented the apartment to us with that problem and condition knowingly. At that we were both dumbfounded and called the owner of our rental. We placed the call to her on speakerphone so that all three of us were present to include the owner of the downstairs apartment. She told us that she thought that problem has been fixed months ago and she was not aware of this problem or any water problem continuing.

The owner of the downstairs apartment stated she knew about it and he was not been given access to enter her apartment to fix the issue as it was coming from her water pipelines upstairs. The downstairs owner wanted to come into our rented apartment which we had just gotten there and tired from a long travel, with what he called his plumber which we knew neither of the men. I felt scared, I and felt I could no longer trust the rental space as the owner was not honest with us from the start and knew about this problem in addition to no parking on premises as stated in the property description she posted on VRBO/Home Away from Home. We had not even been there for five minutes and this occurs.

We were not told in advance, nor will we given a heads up that there was a problem and that strangers would be knocking on our door trying to get into this apartment to fix a problem we knew nothing about nor was it stated it in the description of the rental or before we rented the apartment. Nowhere did I state this! If it had, we would not have rented this. As a precautionary to safety and not having something ugly happened to us, we do not let strange people without any notice or an owner present into any space that’s rented, unless we wanted to end up in a bad situation.

After this we returned upstairs to the apartment to look it over since we did not get that chance with the type of encounter we had within five minutes of getting there. The apartment was filthy and dirty, the bathroom and toilet reeked like human urine, all the furniture had dust on it, and there was only one towel per person left for three days’ stay. The apartment clearly not as described and not habitable as we could not use water without it leaking into the apartment below. So were we not supposed to take shower and clean ourselves? We therefore call the owner back and told her that the apartment had not been well cleaned and that there was a very harsh urine smell in the toilet and in the bathroom.

We also asked her if she had any extra towels as we were only left one towel a piece for three days. She became rude and told us that if we did not like the conditions of the apartment that we should seek to rent a hotel instead. We paid over $424 USD for this rental and don’t expect to be treated this way especially when we brought it to her attention immediately. When she told us we should find a hotel if we didn’t like the conditions of her apartment we decided we could not stay there under these conditions, water leaking into the tenants’ apartment, a dirty household, one towel, and her reaction to everything.

Then she told us that she will send her cleaning lady back out which the lady showed up at 6:30 PM that night taking one day of our vacation time of doing things since we had to wait for her. When the cleaning lady got there she apologize immensely for not vacuuming and cleaning the furniture and other areas correctly. Also, she mentioned that the smell of urine in the toilet not coming off meant there was plumbing issues going on out of her control. The problem of the water still existed therefore we decided we could not stay there under these conditions. We told the owner Claire, that we were going to find a place to stay and we would be will be leaving her apartment due to all of the problems.

We called VRBO and home away from home immediately to report what is happened. Unfortunately they could accommodate us but late at night after 10 PM. They never mentioned any additional cost and we were not planning for any additional costs as well. We were seeking hard to find another apartment to rent, or, a hotel. Unfortunately on short notice there were no rentals available for that evening and we had to end up staying there overnight. We discussed this matter with the owner and she said she would refund us the two days that we were not going to stay. That was a verbal remark from her to us on the phone for which we should have recorded the conversation.

In the morning we got up we cleaned up everything and left the apartment clean and n the same conditions that it was given to us after the second cleaning lady came by. We called the owner, in addition to sending an email to her in writing that we were leaving the apartment. She told us she was going to have to charge us a second cleaning fee for which we already paid for in advance for a clean apartment from the start. Her reason was that she had to send out her cleaning lady a second time who didn’t do the job correctly the first time. However she reinstated that she would be refunding two days to us minus a second cleaning fee.

Later on after we left her apartment, we received an email from her and she was extremely upset that we had called VRBO/home away from home and reported what is happened and what our findings were. In addition when we did call VRBO/HomeAway from home, we were asked by them to send pictures of what our findings were. We did send them the pictures however the plumbing issue was in the wall and we had no way of taking pictures inside the wall to show what has occurred and what was going on with the leaking water pipes. At that we did not reply back to the owner and we were letting VRBO/home away from home handle the situation. We were told by VRBO that she had five days to reply.

On the fifth day post the complaint we called VRBO to follow up on our claim to see how we were to be refunded for two days Claire told us she would do, only to be advised by VRBO that she stated she was NOW considering if now she was going to give us a refund or not. At that VRBO told us there was nothing they can do because refunds were up to the owners of the rentals. So VRBO/home away from home, renter’s guarantee policy is a crock of **! Because under these conditions, we should’ve been refunded through the renter guarantee policy a VRBO and home away from home, regardless of what the owner decided. We provided all of the evidence, we provided pictures, we provided everything VRBO asked for and then they VRBO would not help us.

We had multiple cases open with them, and they refused to even consider the situation or assist us and provide a refund under their renter’s guarantee policy. First VRBO stated they would refund us, as it was under renter’s guarantee and then they told us no. VRBO also stated that we needed to provide pictures of the leak and water pipes in the wall. How are we to do that without damaging the walls the pipes are in to get pictures. Ridiculous on VRBO. All VRBO had to do is contact the owner of the apartment below.

Renters beware, stay away from this particular rental unless you want to be ripped off and consider the type of business transactions you do with VRBO/home away from home, as this was a dishonor to a renter and a paying consumer. The only refund we ended up getting was 100 Great Britain Pounds equaling $124 USD from the owner who I guess is trying to show that she made a contribution for which we know that’s not what she really meant and then she took a second cleaning fee out and kept a full day’s rent. We rented this in good faith and goodwill and this is what we got slapped in the face by an American Rental company and ripped off by an international renter in Scotland who is allowed to advertise her apartment for rent with an American company under those conditions. Property is still advertised under the same description. Good day everyone!

Original review: May 26, 2019

We inquired about renting the Sweetgum Suites owned by Revonda **. Property ID **. We have a family of 6, and the ad says room for 6 on the VRBO website. When we contacted her, she stated that there is only room for 5 if they put in another bed. We offered to bring our own air mattress instead and she said that would be just fine. We then booked the reservation, and after we paid for the booking we saw hidden under her owner fees that there was an extra $125.00 added for an extra guest fee...this raising the price per night quite a bit. We were NOT told about the extra fee and the site specifically advertised room for 6 to start with.

This is not an attack on VRBO at all, but the owner of that cabin falsely advertised the amount of occupants and the price at that level...and did not tell us about the extra fee until after booking. We canceled and found another place that has better business practices and customer service for a family honest about how many children they have.

Original review: May 25, 2019

We were excited about our condo from the pics and reviews online, but when we showed up at our condo, the 2 bottom bathroom outlets didn’t work, so had to blow dry and style hair every morning in the bedroom outlet without a mirror. The pool had brown, algae all around the bottom of the pool. We noticed a neighbors water pipe was detached, so called the managers to make sure it wouldn’t affect our water supply. They came to check and said everything was ok and then charged us a $65 service fee. I have never had a property charge me when I reported a possible problem for their property! What a rip off! Beware, we thought we were getting a nice deal, but lots of hidden charges! They told me it was in the manual which I still have yet to find attached to any of those emails. ????

Original review: May 24, 2019

Rented property with HomeAway. Even bought the insurance. 24 hours into our stay my husband went blind in right eye. After all the necessary steps to confirm the problem was a detached retina, we flew back home and he had an operation, actually 3 of them. We requested a refund thru our credit card company and VRBO-HomeAway. $1500 for 2 nights stay. We sent documentation to all necessary parties. They gave us $300 and re-rented the place to another sucker. All caps used in error. Not yelling, just read the guidelines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: May 23, 2019

As a owner I put my listing with strict cancellation policies. The site specifically notes that traveler initiated cancellations get NO booking payments back under this option. Little do they tell you/or they changed the policy structure because I only received 50%. They either added or did not disclose that there are payment options which are set to 2 "payment" installments. The last being 5 day prior to check-in. Therefore because payment "2" had not been initiated, they do not consider it part of the booking payment. If I had known... I would NOT have used the option to let the traveler cancel their reservation.

Original review: May 23, 2019

If I could give a -star review I would. I will never stay at a VRBO, HomeAway, etc again. I booked April 15 for a stay April 28 through May 22 2019. I was there so my granddaughter could finish high school year. Her dad relocated and the house was being sold. It was at 640 Catamount Way Lilburn Georgia by MJ. Stay far away!!! I arrived late around 9:30 pm. Instantly smelled chemical fragrance smell and thought “Well I just put them up later”. Around 11:30 that evening I told my granddaughter I was having trouble breathing and my chest felt heavy. I started collecting the air fresheners. The next morning felt worse. Immediately contacted MJ and told her. She lied and said she only had a couple. I told her I already collected half a garbage bag full. She told me to sleep with the windows and both exterior doors open!!!

That day I spent cleaning and searching for where they all were and WHY would someone gave that many!! Breathing worse. Getting sicker. Literally there was a bounce sheet and or fragrance in every drawer, corner, space imaginable. I pulled out 2 heavy queen beds and a huge heavy tv stand. Found more under the beds and behind the tv stand. And I found out why! Mold! Covering up the mold mildew smell with that. Which is poisonous in itself. The VO2 gases emitted from that many along with the mold is dangerous. More fragrance powder under the beds, behind tv stand, and in every corner. Couldn’t vacuum up because it had been wet and dried on the carpet in cakes.

After cleaning and vacuuming all day, sleeping with all windows and doors open again another night I woke up even sicker and my granddaughter stated she was having trouble breathing. After speaking again (already told her right away several times) I told her we can’t stay. It is affecting our health. She became nasty. Told me there was no refund. I told her I couldn’t stay because her place was making me sicker and sicker. I’m having a hard time breathing and so is my granddaughter. We left at 11:30 am. VRBO is worthless!!! I ended up paying 1000 dollars more to stay at a hotel.

I bought food on Monday thinking it was just the air fresheners and I could air the place out. I had to throw my food away. The refrigerator smelled like she washed it in fragrance and the smell was in all our food. I had to seek medical attention on Friday because I still was having trouble breathing and felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Diagnosed with mold exposure and given 4 prescriptions. An inhaler, steroids, singular, cough medication for the dry cough. Finally on the following Monday I could breathe again. Took 6 days AFTER I was out of there and on meds for 3 days to breathe normal and get rid of the tightness in my chest.

After several pointless phone calls to VRBO with messages, pictures, doctor bills and messages with MJ I wasted 2 weeks. I finally called my credit card company. Gave them the proof. They disputed my charges because the home was uninhabitable and I received my refund. I will only go through a reputable real estate to rent a home again. VRBO is a farce and a scam. The homeowner was so greedy to get the money she didn’t care what she did to us. It was a horrible experience!!

If I can figure out how to add photos I will. You can’t imagine the amount. One of those vent fresheners does an entire house and she had 5 of them!!! The square footage where I was staying was very small. She still has this property listed on Expedia and HomeAway. Watch out!!! Listed as The Tiny House and Comfy Hideout. It was a cute place but not at the cost of your health!! And very hard to get luggage and groceries to.

Original review: May 20, 2019

VRBO has the worst customer service. It has been more than a month since our stay at one of VRBOs property and our property owner/VRBO hasn't refunded us the deposit. I keep calling VRBO and they just say that property owner is not picking up their call and they are following up. I am at a point where I am going to give up on my deposit, I feel like I just got scammed. I can't even imagine how many people are losing their deposits through VRBO, and they have made the refund so hard that anyone will give up; I wasted countless hours trying to follow-up on my refund. Please do not waste your time and money booking through VRBO. There are better options out there.

Original review: May 18, 2019

We enjoyed our stay in the condo very much! It was clean, and stocked with things you would not have imagined -- like toys for playing in the sand and chairs -- little touches that just made our stay that much more pleasant. We had some minor issues along the way, but the property manager was available to us, and quite helpful every step of the way. We also had a beautiful view of the beach. Would definitely rent this condo again!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Ah yes, arrival... after being at sea for a week without access to the internet, we arrived in London to discover that our VRBO booking had been canceled by the owner THREE days before our scheduled arrival in Paris. The subsequent efforts to get a refund (or utter lack thereof) from either VRBO or the owner have been a nightmare. We have been hung up on, our credit card rep has been hung up on, we have been required to provide proof of payment, proof of identity and proof that the owner canceled despite the fact that VRBO has ALL this information.

After almost three weeks of trying, still no refund. I cannot recall a more unpleasant customer service experience. This was the second time we used VRBO and I have no doubt there are many responsible and honest owners out there, but be warned, you will receive absolutely no support if things go awry with your booking. None. Zero. Zip. Their "Secure Booking Guarantee" is meaningless. We will never use this company again, and will ensure that everyone we know is aware of what happened to us.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I booked a vacation rental a year in advance at a popular winter destination, paying $2000 deposit. Owner cancelled after 3 months. Few properties were still available, and I just gave owner an interest free loan. I messaged the owner asking for a reason for the cancellation and got no reply. I had also received an earlier message from them, apparently sent to the wrong email address cancelling a different week They must do this regularly.

Original review: May 14, 2019

4414 Odell lane, College Station, TX 77845. Rented this house for our Daughter’s Graduation weekend and was extremely disappointed with the cleanliness of the house. From the dirty sheets and poop stained duvet to the toilet covered in feces one toilet even had urine still in it. Everything we used in kitchen had to be washed because it had dried on food. Dusty furniture and dirty floors. No storage for our clothes and no comforters on the beds, just a throw blanket and one bed had a see through quilt. Fridge was also gross and full of their food and the coffee maker was malfunctioning to the point that my husband was burned trying to figure it out! I have pictures to post.

Original review: May 13, 2019

First off... I wouldn't have given this business any stars, but couldn't submit a review without a rating. This was my first experience with this company and I will never use them again. I urge anyone that looks at properties on this website... do you due diligence! They do not have guidelines for the properties listed. Meaning that the property owners can do as they please. They also do not have call centers in the US and the people answering do not speak good English.

Their call centers do not know their company policies and make promises that later turnout to be empty and unfulfilled. I had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with Lee ** from the UK. Never responded to multiple attempts to talk about a refund do to changes that were out of my hands. Finally he responds and tells me to cancel through VRBO, never answering whether he would give me a refund. I cancel, he approves the cancellation, and then responds with reference to his terms of no refunds in any situation! He has just made an easy $1000 and rented the house to another party. VRBO was absolutely no help. Wouldn't give me a partial refund, couldn't persuade the property owner to do the right thing... This was the most horrible experience ever!

Original review: May 12, 2019

This company thrives on the theft of their customer's money. We reserved a bedroom in DC, property id: 7834324 for a much needed getaway. It was all we could afford. Within 7 days of the reservation, our grandmother (who lives with us) was rushed to the ER with kidney failure and reduced heart rate. We immediately cancelled the reservation. After approval, we expected at least a partial refund.

After we received nothing, we contacted owner. Owner said contact VRBO, VRBO said contact owner, and it simply continued until I was finally able to get in touch with someone who offered to refund the $40 service fee and said the owner had to initiate further refund. The cancelled reservation was over $400. I contacted the owner again, imploring understanding as we now had hospital bills and nursing home stays to pay for. This owner has no heart. They expressed understanding and sympathy in the beginning, however after my last message offering evidence of hospital stay I have heard nothing. They will not even refund the $50 cleaning fee they charge for a room not used. This was our first time and last time using VRBO. I will never recommend and will always share this nightmare of an experience I had with this horrible and lawless company.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our reservation was cancelled on 1 business day's notice. VRBO has done nothing about it. Clearly the owner had multiple listings and when he got a better offer he cancelled ours. This is a scam that VRBO must be responsible for. It is apparently a commonplace practice. Unfortunately we were not aware of the practice and suffered the consequences.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I would like to start by saying that I have used VRBO many times and always had great reviews. Last night, I was trying to book a cabin on the lake for my dad, husband, and two brother in laws for Father's Day gift. They love to fish. Danny and Julie's properties on Lake Seminole in Georgia seemed perfect. I quickly booked the property and went to bed (We were trying to keep it a secret.). The next morning Gayle emails me and mentions the one quest. I quickly respond to her that I made a mistake and there would be four people in the cabin. I even explained who they were.

She then calls my phone leaves a message, texts me a rude message about lying, and then calls again. I answered hoping to straighten this out. She proceeds to start yelling at me,calling me a liar, and stating that she would not rent to me. I hung up the phone because she just continued to yell about what a liar I was. After hanging up, she sends me a message continuing to state I lied and that she was leaving a review to owners that I falsified documents.

I responded with kindness: "I have requested the cancellation. Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake. There are 4 people in our group. They were doing a husband bible retreat as a family. Since, you assumed I was lying though, I will own my mistake even though I told you about it as soon as I realized, I will accept your negative review. I hope that you will be able to do the same with mine. I am sorry you have had bad experiences, but I will pray that your faith in others is restored and you seek to understand before you quickly judge others. I wish you the best of luck. Thank you for bringing quick closure to this situation. Have a wonderful weekend."

She responds with a very long message but the jist is here: "No business has taken place, HomeAway will refund all of your $. If you make any further effort to slander our business, we will take legal action against you. This is a Business, don't like our Rules, we are sure you can find another place that suits this group. You knew you had Falsified Instant Booking. In your previous Reply you are now making Threats to us & making Discriminatory Statements against us, based on Religion. We do not discuss religion with anyone. Swearing is verbal threats! You knew there were more than 1 guest when you booked." This was beyond upsetting. It is not right that she believes she can do this and not be reviewed or held accountable for her actions.

Original review: May 9, 2019

VRBO refused to live by their guarantees, they don't care about anyone safety. They always only take the owner (listers) side. Unfortunately during our stay to one of their listings my daughter developed a rash. (There was nothing in their 1st aid kit but bandages btw.) I didn't think much of it at 1st thinking maybe it was from their detergent even though that had never happened to her before. However it began to spread. I bought her several over the counter creams and ** but they didn't help. The next day after our trip the rash had become even more horrific looking and was covering her chest, neck, behind her ears and some on her back. I took her to a walk in clinic and the Dr diagnosed her with hot tub folliculitis. Hot tub folliculitis is a skin infection of the hair follicles that appears after coming into contact with bacteria contaminated water.

She was put on antibiotics and stayed home from school. I Immediately notified the owner to let her know. I even sent her pictures of the rash and prescription. I was expecting an apology and for her to say she would have the hot tub checked/cleaned and for her to help resolve the situation. However the response I received was nothing like that. She was hateful and rude. She blamed us saying we left the hot tub open for 24 hrs, that we left alcohol bottles and that we didn't keep the chemical float in the hot tub. All of which is not true and irrelevant to the situation.

During our stay the hot tub was malfunctioning. It leaked out almost all the water the 3rd day. The actual owner lives next door to this cabin unknown to us at the time. He came over saying he saw water under the deck and wanted to know if the hot tub was ok. He added more water and said he had a lot of problems with this hot tub. He asked when we were leaving. So that tells me right there he doesn't know when guests are coming and going (because the lister handles that not him). (The lister said he came over because the hot tub cover was off, not true.) So if in fact they drained and cleaned the hot tub after every stay they wouldn't be concerned about water under the deck because it would often be there.. Him coming over also made us uncomfortable as if we were being watched.

The following week the rash became even more horrific looking, the following weekend of our stay she got much worse, the rash got worse and spread more and she had high fevers. She was seen at two different emergency rooms. All of which I have documentation on and pictures. She got a new prescription and is finally starting to do better however even after 2 weeks the rash is still visible.

Imagine going on vacation and this is what happens to your baby and you also end up with Bills costing more than your stay. She was 7 at the time. She got teased and even cried before school because of this rash and not wanting people to see it. She complained about having this rash on her birthday. She was so upset. All of this is heartbreaking as a mother and to be blatantly disrespected and ignored by the lister makes it much worse. You would think she would have the decency to try to rectify the situation.

I urge you to be careful with hot tubs and not trust that everyone cleans them properly. I hope my review helps others and prevents this from happening to their sweet babies. *And also let this be a warning about VRBO also known as Homeaway. They don't care about your safety and if you have any issues whatsoever during a booking or stay they will not help you or refund you!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have been using VRBO for over a decade. I will never ever use them again! One week before checking into this VRBO I did not receive either the property address or the door code. I used the VRBO portal and sent the owner 3 emails asking for these items. Crickets....3 days before check in I called. No answer and their mailbox was full. Called VRBO, they gave me another number to text the owner. I did....no response.

Talked to VRBO 4 more times without any help or resolution. VRBO uses off-shore call centers with agents that are difficult to understand. Hold times are obnoxiously long. Finally had to call my credit card company to reverse charges. Adding insult to injury, the owner tried to charge my CC the balance payment. I had my CC on hold. As soon as the charge didn’t go through they promptly cancelled my reservation.

Five more phone calls to "supervisor" I finally received a phone call back to review my case. I was lectured that the "Confidence Guarantee" would have worked. They told me I should have called VRBO after the 4:00 PM check-in. Right...I am going to talk with someone who can hardly speak English finding me another property in LA.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Here's my review: just try calling them and see if you can reach anyone to help you! You will get a recording, then they will hang up! This company is an absolute disaster!! Do yourself a favor and go with Airbnb!

Original review: May 6, 2019

They are not reputable and have atrocious customer service. My reservation was cancelled a month before my trip. VRBO would not do anything to help us get another place in the same price range. Had to fight to get my money back. Then they refunded a lesser amount and I am having to fight to get the rest back. Why would I owe anything? The house owners cancelled on us! Have spent 2 hours on the phone to no avail. I'll never use them again. Do yourself a favor and use Airbnb!

Original review: May 4, 2019

They allow property managers to discriminate against renters! According to the Fair Housing Act you are not allowed to have different standards for renting based on race, age, and of particular importance national origin. The property reached out to me saying that my phone number was international therefore I needed to provide additional information otherwise they would cancel my (instant booking). As you can see they have different standards based on national origin and it is a clear violation and discrimination. By the way my phone number is domestic and I was born in the united states. I checked with HomeAway and my phone number was entered correctly into the system and very clearly was a US phone number.

I also show up with a US flag next to me. I was discriminated against based on race/ethnicity because I don't have an anglo name (Latino) and they used this bogus excuse to keep me from renting with them. Don't give them your business! VRBO and HomeAway have not done anything to rectify the situation. I submitted a complaint and they want me to work it out with the property owner... No thanks. At this point I'm ready to file a lawsuit. If you're a lawyer please reach out! I have photo evidence and made sure to keep all communication in writing. By the way the specific property company is called Green Cove Properties in Burnsville, NC.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have used VRBO many times but this is the first time using a management company instead of dealing directly with the owner. The entire process was hard to understand and it was very difficult to get in touch with a person that would help us. We decided if it was this hard to book what else might be a problem. We decided it was not worth the risk. We had already paid 177$. The management co refunded the 88$ but the VRBO kept the 89$ for not doing the job and left us 89$ less for our future vacation.

Lesson learned we will not use VRBO again. When I wrote VRBO and told them who I had spoken to they said they did not know who that person was? We had booked this almost a year in advance in view of the difficulty being with the booking I would expect a full refund which was not done. Renters beware when using VRBO that uses a management co. It is 89$ to VRBO and 88$ to the management co for the supposedly same job? Many hidden fees.

Original review: April 28, 2019

We rented property 1549179 for 10 days in London, UK from VRBO and/or HomeAway, which are essentially the same organization. When we arrived we found the property uninhabitable and under major renovation. We phoned the contact and were given massive, but dishonest apologies. The owner claimed to have emailed us 3 times telling us of this, but we received no such other emails, only the two emails requesting deposit and final payment, which were received.

The owner had actually failed to reply to two emails of ours asking about check-in time. VRBO requires that we communicate through them but neither logs, nor does anything about an unsatisfied request for information. We called VRBO and were promised immediate assistance. They told us they would reimburse us immediately for what we had already paid. They told us to check in somewhere else and they would pay. We did that. We were told they would let us select from a list of their similar but better properties as replacement. We did that.

We were then told we'd have to pay up-front for that replacement property, VRBO would open a claim file on the old property and reimburse us for the price difference. We got nervous. We'd already spent a lot of money and received nothing except stress, wasted time and taxi expense running around London. We checked our charge card online and found no reimbursement for the original payments. VRBO said it would take 5 to 7 days. We complained, loudly, and the money was returned the next day. With no refund we elected to move on and got a suite through Booking.com.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We rented a condo in Orange Beach for Spring Break and had many problems with the owner (no code to get into the condo, no parking pass, dirty condo...) After we wrote a poor review, the owner refused to give us our deposit back. He stated (lied) that we damaged the condo, but he never provided proof or a receipt. VRBO was no help! They contacted the owner and even though he provided no proof or explanation, they dropped our case. Sadly, this condo owner is still renting using the VRBO site. Because of this total lack of customer service, we will never use them again and we will never recommend VRBO.

Original review: April 26, 2019

VRBO is overpriced, and has the worst customer service ever. They take ZERO responsibility if the guest fails to pay (it happened in my first booking request that the guest's credit card was not approved for the 2nd half of their payment). The website will not even send you a courtesy email that payment didn't go through. If there are any issues with payment WHATSOEVER they wash their hands completely, refer you to their payment processing company, who then again refer you back to VRBO because they can't answer anything, and state the payment policies are VRBO's responsibility.

The second booking request I had, and VRBO started screwing around with the payment, I told the guest to cancel the entire thing and referred to Airbnb. It turns out net-net VRBO was charging $700 more on a 3-month stay. I split it with the guest and we were both happier. If you are looking for a place to stay, go to Airbnb instead. They are not perfect, but it is a much better platform all around.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Property was rented a year in advance for $6,614.44, which had to be paid in full at the time. This included a $1,000.00 damage deposit. There were 14 of us, ladies who have been friends since school days, who went in on this rental. It was listed, with photos, as 7,000 sq. ft. with casita, would sleep 24. The issues we encountered included: Two dishwashers that didn’t work, refrigerator wouldn’t dispense ice or water, wine cooler didn’t work, triple shower heads in master bath were not operational (handles removed), no instructions for operating televisions, incorrect information as to putting out garbage and recycle, sliding doors to patio very difficult to open (owner came on our 4th day and used a lot of WD 40 on the doors) and handle broke off one door, patio furniture very worn with stuffing coming out and broken chairs, toilet seat in casita was broken off (replaced on second day), television not operational until the 4th day, hair in shower which prevented it from draining.

We requested a partial refund from the owner, who offered $500. I was not the person who made the original arrangements, although we all paid a portion to meet the requirements, and I was recruited to negotiate with the owner. I responded to her $500. Offer with a counteroffer of $1,500. She came back with an offer of $800. I suggested we compromise on $1,000. She asked for the address of the person who made the arrangements and I gave her the name and address, expecting she would send a check right away. That way, our friend who made the arrangements could reimburse everyone their portion of the refund AND the $1,000 Damage deposit. Ten days have passed and I contacted the owner again. She replied she would be in contact with the friend who made the arrangements and not with me. I said I would contact VRBO and she became very defensive. The owners are Mike and Cheryl in Paradise Valley, AZ.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I would give minus stars if possible! Rented a unit through VRBO in Washington DC for a family visit. The unit we were directed to was not the same one as listed in the pictures online on VRBO - totally different and FILTHY-complete with dirty laundry in washer/dryer-feet sticking to floor-filth that had accumulated for years and totally different setup than what was advertised. We immediately left and stayed in a hotel instead. Owner (Bob ** - sure it's a fake name) refused to refund-even cancelling our reservation at the end so that I could not submit a review. Not even refunding the insulting cleaning fee. His listing is now removed from their site.

I contacted VRBO immediately, provided photo documentation and they gave me the runaround for over a month - now they say my only recourse is through my bank credit card. Now they tell me VRBO cannot refund my money as they are NOT RESPONSIBLE for veracity of listings on their site - thought that was the whole purpose! - NEVER AGAIN - WARN YOUR FRIENDS - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They do not stand behind ANY of their properties.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I called VRBO Customer Service and the CSR was unhelpful and told me the standard line regarding damage deposit and that there was no other option. I told this ignorant woman that I needed to speak with the owner again and she hung up on me. VRBO sucks at whatever garbage they're peddling. DO NOT USE VRBO IF YOU WANT A GOOD EXPERIENCE!

Original review: April 19, 2019

We rented a condo in Phoenix for March 2019. The VRBO/HomeAway (V/H) "Service" fee for us was $250 US. Contract from owner indicated $250 security/damage deposit charge to be held by V/H. Reviewed total rental fee charge from V/H. The amount that was $300 greater than the condo rental & cleaning fee. The contract from the owner misrepresented the security/damage deposit as being held by V/H.

When we followed up with owner re getting security/damage deposit back she told us no refund as no deposit paid (she said she "forgot" to do this). She said the $300 extra charges were (undisclosed to us) V/H "booking" fees. These booking fees should be paid by the owner as they were not billed to or described to us by V/H. They were passed on to us by a contract that misrepresented security/damage deposit fees. Result: our 1 month vacation rental through VRBO/HomeAway cost us US $500 in "fees" paid to V/H over the condo rental & cleaning fee charged by owner.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I reserved an apartment. The host auto-confirmed but doesn't answer to my messages. Wanted to contact VRBO for help but cannot find Customer Service number or chat. Help pages say that you can give a call or chat but do not provide not the number nor the chat tool. Very disappointed.

VRBO.com Company Information