2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.0/5 (758 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

We had a problem with our reservation and VRBO did not help us at all, just take your money and if you have a problem they do not help you, they always told us that we had to contact the owner of the property and I would tell them but if we made the reservation with you not with the owner of the property but they did not mind helping us.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Vacationers beware! Many VRBO owners place very strict cancellation dates on their rentals. The closer you book to their "high-demand" dates and cancel, the less refund that you will receive. Recently, I booked a VRBO in Ocean Beach, San Diego with C.S, but misunderstood his refund policy, Even though I booked and cancelled his home within 20 minutes Mr. CS refused to refund my full amount. I am on the hook for over 500.00 for a rental that I didn't even get to use. Moreover, VRBO will not help in situations like this.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

My family and I booked reservations through VRBO to stay at this property called the pool house in Boulevard Heights, Hollywood, Florida, the hostname is Limo. I had spoken with the host prior to my booking to verify if it would be ok to check-in at midnight without any charge. The host stated that it was ok however the night we got in I sent the message just to confirm everything was ok. I then get a message stating that I had to pay $499. As I was going back and forth they decided to take $100 off the $499 which I had no choice or we would have not had a place to stay.

When we got there we check the beds for bedbugs and every single mattress had urine stains and fresh period blood stains on the mattress. The bedding was not clean so I had to wash everything, the tv wasn't working, the pool was full of ants and trees that had fallen, the grill was full of ants, the pictures are not what's there and it smelled bad. We reached out to them. They weren't trying to assist at all but yet sent me a text message telling me to give them a good review and they will refund me $100. I made a review on VRBO over 2 weeks ago and yet it isn't showing up as they try to protect their host. Vrbo told me we should have never lifted the sheets and it was acceptable.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Customer support is literally useless. They list unsafe properties and do not help you when you’re scrambling to find alternate accommodations. Our property was burglarized by people that knew the door code as there was no break and entering signs. The host has been practically unresponsive and VRBO told us they weren’t responsible. Conveniently the host removed the property and all their information. We had to spend hundreds of dollars on alternate accommodations to feel safe again. VRBO refuses to help us with this cost as when I called them at 3 am scrambling to find my things, they didn’t answer the phone. So that was my fault of course. This platform allows for scams to run rampant and they take zero responsibility for it. A sad excuse for a company that claims to enable “Book with Confidence”. Save your money - wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Owners may want to be aware that when we tried to book a reservation online we received an error message that additional insurance was required, even though we had selected and agreed to pay for said additional insurance, and ultimately were unable to book a reservation. We also got a notice from our credit card of pending charges for the reservations (we attempted to book twice in case it was user error). Contacted VRBO, and all they told us was that we should contact our bank to cancel the charges because after their review they did not find any pending reservation. They never gave us an option to actually book the reservation. Too bad, because we really wanted to stay at the place, now we are looking someplace else. Too much of a hassle to book via VRBO.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Vick ** and VRBO are unethical. I booked a NON-SMOKING unit for the month of August (https://www.vrbo.com/1766011?adultsCount=2&childrenCount=2&noDates=true&unitId=2327518) and when we showed up it was SMOKE-FILLED. There was smoke streaks on the ceilings from recirculating through the vents, smoke-stained smoke-detectors, and even a condo board member who wrote a note on our behalf acknowledging the stench. We left immediately. Contacted Vick ** the owner to get some assistance and he was unhelpful, said he was in Chicago so he couldn't take care of anything. We needed to get our kids settled so we checked into a hotel to figure out what to do next.

At the hotel I was able to get on a computer to find vrbo contact info and spent 3 hours on the phone with them. They made it sound like they would help me. But even weeks later I still had zero assistance, no refund, no guidance, they didn't even cancel my booking. I found another rental the next day through another company that ironically put us up in the same building 3 doors down for only $100 more for the month (who would pay more for the same space if it wasn't truly unlivable?). Then on top of it, Vick has since rated me a bad renter knowing full-well we never stayed there and never touched or used any of his things. Vrbo won't let me review him or the property since I missed the 2-week window so I literally have no other recourse to warn others. This owner and this company don't do what they say they are going to do and are incredibly unethical.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from these on-line crooks. Be aware that just by clicking on to reserve a property, you are out $267.00. No refunds. In calling customer service, you are connected to someone who could care less. They won't allow you to speak to a supervisor either. In addition to VRBO's outrageous fee, you are stuck for a full 5% total of the booking to the property. In my case over $400. If Covid closes the property down--Tough luck for you. This company should be investigated by the Feds as a predatory venture. THEY ARE CROOKS.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I was coming to New Orleans for a meeting with clients on some potential work and the work would require me to have a furnished apartment as I would be there for one to two years. VRBO failed to honor the agreement in providing we with the rental I thought I was going to be staying. I was hoping to get an idea of the types and conditions of the properties. I contacted VRBO "Customer Service", let's say they ain't got one. They were rude, basically telling me there was nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor, and was told they couldn't transfer me, they were too busy to take my call!

Called the main number to speak with Jeff Hurst, President, left numerous message, my calls went left unanswered. This confirmed what I suspected when I sent emails to discuss the potential of finding a Long Term stay at one of their properties. I'd get the normal auto-response of "Thank you, we will be back in touch with you in 24-48 hours", the typical blowing smoke and sunshine up my posterior. Not a peep since my last request to discuss any properties. I have spoken with my attorney and have been advised that their failure to honor the agreement opens up a lawsuit, which I will be discussing with him when I get home. I highly recommend that you DO NOT ever use this company, if you do, you do so at your own risk!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

VRBO is by far the worst rental website for customers. They don’t have the renter's back and when the property has issues, they take the owner's back. In our case, the property didn’t have hot water. We rented it for 1.5 month in Playa Del Carmen. We complained for 10 days. The property management company who posted the ad, sent 4 technicians to fix the boiler and it wasn’t fixed. After all the trouble we went through, we called VRBO to ask for cancellation and refund. The customer service told us that hot water was not listed as part of the amenities!! Where in the world hot water is an add on amenity????

Don’t rent from the deceiving owner, Matt Weatherbee who listed “Iris Apartment #205, IT Hotel and Residences in Playa Del Carmen”. The property management company who did absolutely nothing to help was North American Property Management. I will sue VRBO for false advertisement and for giving false comfort to renters about their stupid “book with confidence” policy.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

The property booked at 147 Wildwood unit 417, Pagosa Springs, Colorado was not ready for the rental market.

1) The parking garage not available.
2) Dog stains in downstairs bedroom.
4) Stove was out for a week.
5) There is no full time maintenance personnel.
6) No coffee as per M O O.
7) Outside deck not available.
8) No garbage pick up.
9) The owner told me,”Charlie I am done with you, you are an old and rude man!!!"
10) Toaster missing in inventory.

11) Remodeling going on, bathroom downstairs bare walls, no towel rack.

1. Note we traveled over 900 miles, spend 2 nights on the road and being octogenarian unable to find a replacement property. I have taught hospitality and hotel marketing in two colleges and from my opinion this owner and VBRO would have failed my courses.

VRBO.com Company Information