3.4/5 (1335 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: June 28, 2022

Buyer Beware - Gondomar, Portugal S. Don’t book this place!!!! The host (not on-site or nearby) has his managers there, with whom it was nearly impossible to communicate, and I speak French, Italian, German as well as English. Before we could be checked-in, or even see the second bedroom, they demanded 200 euros (safety deposit, in cash) which was nowhere in the posting or payment details or in an email recently sent to me --owner claimed that I didn’t read them carefully, which was not the case. Two more neighbors joined in, all trying to explain to me the concept of a deposit.

After back and forth me trying to explain that this was not what I had agreed to, nor was it legal, they put me on the phone with the owner, who only speaks French. He tried to explain that we have to pay this, and since my purse was stolen that day, and I had no cash on me, I could pay through PayPal. However, I never felt I should pay them anything extra at all, and the whole thing was absurd. We had been driving all day, exhausted and ready for bed.

I finally reached VRBO, as their chat didn’t work, and I explained the situation. The woman on the phone told me that the refund was being processed and they were going to find me another place. After hearing that, we left this remote village on (a stony, windIng road, 40 minutes from Porto, we drove into the city of Porto. I then received this text from the owner, after we were extremely stressed and drained from the hostile exchange. After VRBO reached him, I received this text: “Hello Rachel. I am sorry. I think it's à problème another vacationer. Please call. It's ok With the payment. You can stay. It's ok. I am very confused..“

VRBO then decided that we will be charged the full amount because the owner corrected his mistake,. (No matter that he broke every rule by demanding the money in the first place.) By that time we were long gone. After being on the phone with another woman and a manager for an hour, always hearing the same script, I asked to speak with another manager. It was to be escalated and I never heard from them about it. Apparently the VRBO people were confused because I had reserved the place earlier and canceled it before I made this reservation. Not really my problem that the person at VRBO didn’t know how to retrieve the current, NOT CANCELLED RESERVATION.

SO, first VRBO claimed that we needed to stay at the property after all this, and Our leaving confirmed that we chose to cancel the non-refundable reservation. Then He said that there was also confusion on the part of the first VRBO person I spoke with who confirmed that a refund was in process. My only chance to get the money back ($411) is to contest it with my credit card company, which I will do. Airbnb has a guarantee that if there is any problem at all with their property, checking in, whatever, there is an immediate refund. VRBO stands behind its hosts, and against the people renting. And their customer service is abominable. It goes without saying that I NEVER use their services again. There are wonderful places on Airbnb and Booking.com. Don’t use this service.

Original review: June 25, 2022

On June 22, 2022 my friends and I booked a VRBO in Ventura, CA (property #2791570) for a weekend girls trip. The house looked nice and spacious, set against some hills-it looked tranquil. Since you can only get the address of a location after booking we weren't able to check out the home until it was confirmed. After confirmation and payment, we received the address and our friend that lives in the area went to check it out. She grew up there and still lives in the city. She called and said that the home was in a dangerous area of Ventura, that it wasn't safe to be out after dark. We felt mislead by the listing and cancelled the booking. We had a similar experience in Las Vegas (with another rental company) and didn't want to repeat it.

The booking was cancelled within 2 hours of confirmation. The website said that the owner would keep half if cancelled that day. We didn't anticipate this issue and had agreed. However, we felt misled. That being said, the cost of the house was $502 per night, for a total of $1004. There was a $250 cleaning fee and a $159. fee from VRBO. They kept half of everything, including the cleaning fee. In fact, it was more than half of the total. The total cost was about $1400 and we only got a $600 refund. AFTER 2 HOURS. Why would VRBO or the owner need to keep all fees and half the cleaning fees after being booked for 2 hours???

I called VRBO. I was on hold for nearly an hour before a response. I finally spoke to somebody who said there was nothing they could do outside of contacting the owner to see if they'd be willing to refund more. I asked about the cleaning fees and the VRBO fees. She would simply repeat that there was nothing they could do. She said she could email the owner as he wasn't answering the phone. Between her accent and lack of willingness to work with me on the matter or answer questions about why certain fees were being kept, I asked to speak to somebody else. She hung up on me at that time.

I can not express the level of frustration I felt in that moment. VRBO, shame on you. This is an incredibly terrible way to handle a cancelation-greedy, greedy, greedy. If this is not resolved in a timely manner, I will never support your company in the future. I vacation often with my family and friends and will not ever use your company again. My friend booked this for our group, you will find further information with the reservation ID: **

Original review: June 21, 2022

We booked a place on VRBO (Property ID: 1940981) in Praiano Italy before Covid struck. When Italy when into lockdown, the host made us pay to move our booking. She even dictated new travel dates (not similar to our previous dates). We reorganised our entire Italy trip around those new dates. Upon arrival, she put us in a COMPLETELY different house. We had a group of 6 people, there was not enough crockery, no kettle, no aircon in all the rooms, not enough chairs, a lot smaller than the original house we booked for. When we told the host, she simply said "Well Amalfi is fully booked, and this is all I have"... Have tried to complain to VRBO and that has also fallen on deaf ears. They don't care about protecting future visitors, only their hosts (aka Maria **). Will NEVER use VRBO again, and will tell all my friends not to use them either.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Ical doesn't work. So you constantly get double bookings. I have had a case number and they said it was "top of the queue" problem but nothing. They haven't addressed it at all; no call; no email. I call once a week and nothing. I have 8 properties. 3 of the 8 don't have the inbox populating. The hold times are 1.5 to 3 hours -- even for the Premier member line. This company has REALLY gone downhill since Expedia bought it. Maybe they want to put us out of business so their bigger hotel partners can eliminate vacation rentals. Do they have a conflict of interest -- yes.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Tried to complete a reservation online and couldn't as the site did not accept "Canada" as a valid country. Called their support line and was told the site is having technical difficulties. Waited 30 mins, tried to book again and the price/night increased over $50. Called their support line again and was told they would not do anything as they are not accountable for price increases or issues caused due to issues with their website. Despite having screen shots with timestamps showing the issue on their end, Vrbo denied having anything to with the issue. Very poor service and dishonest service.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Save yourself the time and just list on Airbnb. I have been on both for around 2 years and will never list a property or use VRBO for my travels again. Be forewarned if you list a property with VRBO expect to be spammed to death by people who "kindly" want you to book outside of airbnb. Also, support is terrible. Even upon trying to remove the listing I could not find any online instructions that made sense on how to do so. I then tried to use the chat and the guy was useless and started by asking me why, I told him I wanted to move. He then ask if I had already sold it to someone else yet? I'm thinking, what the heck is this??? I want to remove the listing. Why so many freaking questions. Then after tell him just to cancel my account he said, "Let me know when you receive the code."

I said would I get that via text or email. He said text. I said that I didn't get it yet and he said then it must have went to my spam box and that he couldn't my account without the code. I said Spam box??? I don't have a spam box text, that's email. Then he left the conversation and put up some pre-written message saying I needed to call. This is ridiculous, as I'm leaving bad reviews I'm still on hold because they closed the chat.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I rented a one month rental apartment in New York City through VRBO. The night we got there the toilet flooded, the water ran out of the bathroom into the hallway and towards the kitchen. We are in our 60s and had no access to a bathroom. We called VRBO and after 5 hours on hold they booked us into a hotel and told us that they would rebook us into a different unit. After a couple of days we realized that they were not making an effort to find us another unit. They would not return our calls and communicated very vaguely.

We contacted the owner of the apartment asked if the toilet had been fixed, when she said yes, we asked for the keys to the apartment several times but she would not respond or make arrangements for us to have the keys. This is documented through various text messages. We went back to VRBO, they never booked us into a different unit instead we were shuttled from hotel to hotel, 6 different hotels in all through the next 12 days. We ended up returning home on June 12.

Despite several assurances from the various VRBO contacts that VRBO would make sure we got our money back today we got a message from VRBO stating that they could not offer us refund assistance without giving us any reason why, and said we should contact the owner. The owner absolutely refuses to make contact with us. She has our money, and did not give us the keys to return to the apartment, and VRBO who is the facilitator and is supposed to ensure access to the apartment told us we were on our own.

Original review: June 14, 2022

On May 8, we decided on a last minute trip to Maui for memorial day weekend. Luckily we found a great little spot so I booked it and I paid in full. In addition to the rental fee, cleaning fee, VRBO fee and taxes, there was a $1500 refundable deposit that I opted for rather than paying a $60 nonrefundable fee. The trip was great and in the first week of June I messaged the host thanking her and asked when the $1500 would be refunded. No answer but VRBO had a message in the payment breakdown stating if no damage was found, the $1500 would be automatically refunded by June 14 (this is over a month from when I originally paid) and I'm sure other guests stayed there over the past two weeks so why did it take so long to refund this money?

Here's the icing on the cake, on June 14 my refund of $1500 WAS INITIATED AND VRBO STATES IT WILL TAKE A MINIMUM OF 5 DAYS BUT UP TO 15 DAYS TO REFUND. So, that means there's a chance I won't get my money back for another two weeks. Never again will I book with VRBO. Keeping someone's money for this long is unacceptable and wrong.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I made reservations via Expedia.com. I received confirmation of reservations initially from Expedia. Then from Home Away.com and then VRBO.com. VRBO left a message my reservation was not available via VRBO.com. Home Away gave me contact information that was invalid. Email was not answered and phone number was disconnected.. Expedia did not help with contact information. Two days before my reservation, I did not know if the reservation was valid. It turns out the property had changed owners and the Expedia Group did not notify me of the change nor the contact information. The major problem is the Expedia group is so disjointed, that vital information was not disseminated to me. I will not trust this group in the future.

Original review: June 14, 2022

As mentioned by other customers here, there is no oversight of the hosts and no customer support when one needs it. London host cancelled with no explanation and VRBO customer support (AI probably) literally disconnected me. Closed account.

Original review: June 14, 2022

VRBO cancellation policies allow property owners to cancel days before trip with no penalties- and they can even re-list the property for a higher price for the same days. Plus, you can’t even leave a review to warn others that this happened, so the owner is free to do it again and again and again. These insane rules completely screw over the traveler and ruin entire vacations. This was my first and last experience with vrbo and I caution all users to find a different app and different company.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I rented an apartment through VRBO, and then several months later had a change in plans and put in a request to change the dates (selecting dates that the apartment was not already booked). The owner didn't respond, even after several messages to him through the platform and outside the VRBO platform -- WhatsApp, phone call. The owner did not respond -- it is now 8 days since I sent the first message, and on the VRBO platform it says the owner has 24-48 hours to respond. In a panic, we booked another property (owned by the same person) close by to the first property, for the dates that we needed.

The first property is much cheaper than the second (because had booked way in advance) so owner doesn't want to allow us to change dates, apparently. VRBO says they cannot help us resolve this issue. They say that even though the owner is unresponsive they can't do anything -- which of course is untrue, because it's VRBO's platform and they can require that owners respond, in order to be listed on the platform. Several VRBO customer service representatives told me they would pass my case on to a "Supervisor" who would call me back in 24-72 hours. When I called again yesterday, the agent I talked to said that in fact no request for a supervisor had been submitted. So several agents outright lied to me (perhaps passing along a case to a supervisor negatively impacts their performance review?). In short, I will NEVER book with VRBO again.

Original review: June 13, 2022

VRBO has let their app go down. It has not been functional for several days. I am an owner and host of a VRBO property and the app is how guests communicate with hosts whenever they have a problem. With the app down, there is no clear way to communicate with a guest or even know that they have an issue. Customer service tells me that I can log into the site via Chrome and communicate in this way. Clearly this is not an effective solution as there is not a way to known that a guest needs help unless I log in every 15 minutes and check to see if there is a message. They said it could be 2 weeks before this problem is addressed. TERRIBLE service and answer for both hosts and guests.

Original review: June 13, 2022

This website has become joke. Their MADE UP Fees raised the cost almost 100% of the rental. It's dishonest. You KNOW it's dishonest. Rent with confidence? Confidence that NOTHING is as it seems the whole time you're looking. They are deceitful in making sure you don't see that until after you waste your time finding a place. It's an absolute shame. I've used this site for almost 20 years and now I will avoid it at all costs. This is a disgusting way to show everyone that has rented through you, mean NOTHING to you. Greed always costs the greedy in the end. Believe that!

Original review: June 13, 2022

I recently booked a home through VRBO.com and was disappointed. The home that I rented out for one week had 2 huge rats inside the home along with a machete found on the side of the refrigerator. Not only that but there was a bird flying around inside the home. The street is really dark at night and there are 5 barking dogs next door that continually bark all night. This house make you feel like you're in a horror movie. I contacted the owner and received no response and then I contacted VRBO.

VRBO agent Juan if that's his real name said there was not enough evidence and there was nothing VRBO can do. I sent over proof of the machete a long with the flying bird. The fast track star rats running around I couldn't get a video of. It's not like I am excited to chase a rat down and hold it up next to me to show proof. Anyways VRBO does not come out to any of these homes for inspection they just go by the lying host and owner word of mouth. Please do not stay at anything VRBO has to offer. Once they got your money they don't care about the customer.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Booked VRBO for a stay in Ottawa. The rental was not what was in the description or the pictures. The place was not clean and triggered allergies. Food splatter on the walls and ceiling, dust everywhere and cigarette butts all over. VRBO customer service kept on passing us off to the host who didn’t want to clean the place. Since VRBO takes full payment months before the rental, there is no way of recovering anything and VRBO just says you have to work it out with the host. Beware of VRBO. There is a reason why they have so many bad reviews and all the good hosts use Air B&B. I just wish I had researched more into VRBO as well as searching for what looked like a good place to stay.

Original review: June 11, 2022

In need of a getaway, signed up at VRBO to check it out. Turns out the security deposit $1500 for the first stay, $4000 for the second getaway...is taken from our credit card and not returned for a 2 weeks after you leave. So, if you book way ahead, to make plans, the money is not yours until 2 weeks after. For us it was 2 months.... We didn't pay attention to the specifics, just excited for a getaway. They do give another option...pay $80 non refundable now. Really.....So we pay the cost of the stay + Cleaning fee + Service Fee + Lodging Tax + this damage deposit. Ex: 4 nights $660 turns into over $1000. This will not be in our future plans. All the extra costs are prohibitive.

Original review: June 8, 2022

We booked a “beautiful Studio” on the website of Expedia and through VRBO. Despite confirmations from both at arrival there was nobody there. We called VRBO customer support. After being on the phone for at least a full hour they informed us that they were not able to contact the host but they would arrange an alternative. In total it took us FOUR HOURS on the phone which finally resulted with an e-mail in which we were told to find lodging ourselves. But we would be compensated based on their guarantees. Two weeks later we only had more work in providing them information AND we are confronted with a 140 Dollar cell phone bill since the VRBO TOLL FREE number is actually not TOLL FFEE when you call from Canada.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Booking was cancelled by owner the day before we were to arrive. VRBO told us how to get a refund and we did all as was required. Still they made things difficult and said we were to blame for the last minute cancellation. We have had to speak directly to the owner to get assistance as VRBO was of little help even though we did as was asked. Bad systems. Poor service. May try another service next time. There's enough out there. Only the best will survive.

Thanks,

David

Original review: June 6, 2022

Cancelled on us one week before trip! We rented a VRBO property two and a half months ago, paid for it in full, and a week before we were supposed to travel, got a message that our booking had been cancelled! Apparently the property had been somehow double-booked and we got booted. VRBO did refund us, but now we are stuck less than a week before our trip with nowhere to stay! VRBO said they would help us find another booking, but so far hasn’t even communicated with us. We just found a nearby hotel for almost $200 more than what we had paid VRBO (and definitely out of our comfort-zone price-range), hoping that VRBO would cover the difference, since the last-minute cancellation was 100% their fault, but they will not pay. What was supposed to be a fun trip has become a source of frantic emotional and financial stress. We are very angry and will never book with VRBO again.

Original review: June 6, 2022

My credit card got hacked so I had to cancel it. When I went to VRBO to give them my new credit card information for my reservation, they did not have my reservation (I had the email confirming it) and told me I had to contact a 3rd party company, outside the US, and work with them to change the card. I don't want to give anyone outside the US my information but VRBO does not do anything about it. Very disappointed since I booked with them thinking they had oversight & control. I will be using Airbnb from now on.

Original review: June 5, 2022

VRBO Complaint and VRBO HOST Complaint. RE: Shoreline West, Mountain View, California. Property ID: 9650747. 1) Host complaint: Made reservation 6 weeks in advance, on April 7, 2022, and deposit was made upon confirmation. One week prior to date of travel (on Memorial Day weekend) received email confirmation on May 20, 2022 (and was reflected on bank info) that remaining balance was paid in full. The following day on May 21, 2022 the HOST, for no reason (which was confirmed by VRBO 'it doesn't say why') and we had to find other arrangements. I sent 3 emails via VRBO to say cancellation was in error and how to complete any missing/erroneous info, but he NEVER replied! 2) As a “Professional Host,” as listed on the site, this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE behavior! NO reason to cancel after reservation was PAID IN FULL and NO response to multiple emails!

3) VRBO Complaint: VRBO customer service people (2) were completely useless. They could not tell me why, they refused to contact Host to ask why and/or resolve issue, they could not/refused to make another reservation at that complex (said to "make another reservation online" and when I tried the computer would not allow it and they still didn't help), & finally they NEVER could make another reservation for a different place despite being told "we put you on the escalation list" for someone to call to make another reservation. 4) Called VRBO to see how to make complaint about Host activities (cancelling for no reason & after paid in full, and NO reply to multiple emails) and their reply was "you cannot make a Review if you do not stay there."

Original review: June 2, 2022

I existed before VRBO and thankfully, I still exist. Rentals were never a problem before VRBO. You planned ahead, worked the phones and got a good deal. VRBO has killed all of that. Sure, you can sit on your butt now and soft through the rentals on your screen and it takes less time, but the deals are gone for both the renter and the rentee. More and more restrictions are in place and you have to resign yourself to the fact that VRBO uses the money they make from you to push a Woke Agenda that will outrage you. I loath VRBO.

Original review: June 1, 2022

The only thing offered to the renter from VRBO is the computer platform to find and pay for properties. The renter has no recourse with VRBO or protection if anything goes wrong at the property. After arriving at our property there were several misrepresentations. We talked to VRBO and they said to work it out with the owner. We reached a mutual agreement for a refund amount, which we got in writing. After we vacated the property, the owner changed her mind on the refund.

After spending over 6 hours on the phone with VRBO customer service we finally wrote the CEO of VRBO. This escalated the case to a customer service group out of the U.S. that actually spoke understandable English. We found out, it is entirely up to the owner to make any financial accommodations. Regardless of what the owner agrees to, VRBO will do nothing to help the renter when an unscrupulous owner decides to renege on an agreed upon refund. VRBO is merely a computer platform. The renter has no protection through them.

Original review: June 1, 2022

My first time using VRBO, and never again! VRBO charged my husband and I over $80 for "middle man fees" for a 3 night stay in a cabin near Frio river. After that, the property owner falsely accused my husband and I of "bringing pets" and tried to tack on a $30 cleaning charge. They even fabricated photo proof to frame us. I tried complaining to customer service because we were getting scammed; customer service was THE WORST. They would "send an email" to owner to contact us to discuss complaint, and after 48hr offered to "do a 3 way call". GARBAGE COMPANY.

Original review: May 31, 2022

We arrived at our VRBO rental and discovered it was nothing like it was described. The air mattress had a hole in it, the place smelled of smoke. The bathroom toilet was leaking, the ceiling fans quit working. We called VRBO and they said they would work to get it fixed. After my wife and I slept on the floor for two nights we got an air mattress. When I asked for a refund they said they would get back to us. I called today after our stay was over and was told no refund because we elected to stay the entire time. They said we should have been given an alternative place to stay but even though they didn't make that offer we got no refund because we stayed at the place. It was Memorial Day weekend in St Louis, there were no places to stay!!!! They told me we should have left and stayed on the street if we wanted a refund. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: May 27, 2022

I cancel my reservation within the agreement date for a full refund and three calls later several email and the host cannot be reached. Did I mention for every call there is a 20 to 30 minute wait. NOPE. NOT AGAIN

Original review: May 24, 2022

Attempting to receive FULL REFUND after host cancelled stay. 4 phone calls totally over 1.5 hours and numerous emails back & forth... still no FULL REFUND. What a nightmare experience and drain of my time!

Original review: May 23, 2022

Years ago I needed to do short-term renting of my home until it could sell (the market was weak), so I turned to VRBO and found the experiences mostly pleasant with decent system support. Now, I have had mostly difficult, time-consuming problems with VRBO hosting:

1.) Looong wait times

2.) Agents that can't fix problems and "escalate" which means you'll never get a call back

3.) Excessive security measures. You'll get locked out whenever you change phones or anything like that. Then they can't help you and have to elevate it which means no one will EVER follow through or call back as they promise. They DO NOT follow up on anything. Make sure to record your case number because you will have to call back and wait for 20 minutes to get a person.

4.) Their agents have pretty strong accents and the phone connections are choppy. You will have to repeat yourself a lot and ask them to repeat themselves.

5.) Requoting guests or dealing with guest changes is a GIGANTIC headache. There's no transparency to the process. You won't be able to tell which was the original versus first, second, third revision request. The app on the phone will suggest dollar amounts that are way out of line and don't take into account what you'd previously quoted. Don't even try to modify a quote on the phone app. You need to be a forensic accountant and have 2 tabs open on a computer to accommodate customer change requests to previously booked dates.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I booked two different properties on this website. When I put in my dates it said it was available. I paid in full the amount and waited. After 24 hours I received a notice saying it was already booked. I found another property and went through the exact same thing to only find out it was already booked. WHY would you advertise an available property and then say it’s already booked? And this was on numerous properties. Do Not Waste your time trying to find something with them.

VRBO.com Company Information