1.09/5
  • 1 star
Based on 301 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

VRBO.com

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

1327 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

VRBO is a joke... not even worth a bad review. Go with Airbnb. I'm a host and according to VRBO, 60% of my guests used fake credit cards, so after one year with VRBO (I paid $2000 for advertising btw), this is what I ended up with: damaged floor, stolen iPad, broken sofa, stolen projector... and VRBO took over $12000 DIRECTLY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION. This is illegal.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have booked rental homes through VRBO for over 8 years. Unfortunately, I will never be able to do it again. I specifically emailed VRBO customer service concerned that I may have rented through a scam artist and wanted their advice before paying the 2nd half of the rent for an NYC rental over Thanksgiving. I received a response back from VRBO that they would only assist me if the labeled owner of the property was not being responsive to me. The said "owner" was very responsive, but it concerned me when I found out his PayPal account was cancelled and then he asked me to wire him money. I asked VRBO if they had any issues with this owner since I noticed the listing had been removed and they said they could not reveal any information about the owner or his reputation on their site because of their "privacy policies". Come to find out, my greatest fear came true.

I paid $5600 to a scam artist that VRBO harbored under their "privacy policy". After I reported the "owner" to the NYPD, the NY Real Estate Licensing Board, and the NY Attorney General, I contacted VRBO to ask them if they had any information they could forward to one of these agencies to help recover my money. VRBO responded saying they can not communicate with me any longer, but if any of those agencies would like further information, they can contact VRBO.com directly. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not rent through VRBO.com. Being stranded, homeless, and realizing you are scammed in NYC at 10:30 PM on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving as a family of 13, is TERRIFYING!!!

This is not the way that VRBO used to treat their customers. I would highly recommend trying Airbnb or frankly, any other website. Thankfully, the NY State Agencies don't seem too concerned with requesting the information they want from VRBO, but in the meantime, I have wasted 11 months of planning and $5600 dollars. My concern is that VRBO is now busy shredding documentation. Let's hope that's not the case.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I've rented from VRBO in the past with only a few problems. This last time I rented a property in Scottsdale AZ, "Presidio" at 7041 E Presidio, Scottsdale and I paid a refundable deposit. That was almost two months ago. The listed owner will not provide a response to my question regarding the deposit return. I asked VRBO to get involved because it looks like this property has different owners on different websites. They sent me a form letter telling me it's their policy to let renters and owners work out their differences. I followed up explaining the lack of contact with the owner and now I wanted them to get involved or follow through on their promise of ensuring the security deposit for renters. To date, they have ignored several requests. BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My family and I have used VRBO for years to book our rentals. No longer!! I recently booked a trip through them to Hawaii for Christmas and was SHOCKED to see that they were charging me a $700 "service fee"!! What?! Of course, I've called and spoken with their customer service reps in the Philippines, been transferred to supervisors, etc. only to be told a line about why their charges are warranted. It is simply a ploy to make more money. I unfortunately will NEVER book with them in the future. Shame on you VRBO!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

As a buyer of rentals (over 20 years, we like to enjoy different spots rather than own another home), my experience this month is horrendous due to VRBO. First attempt to make a reservation, it is called "request to reserve" the buyer/renter puts in all her information dates, the number in the party all normal, but to move the question to the homeowner buyer must input her credit card information, then website request her to buy cancellation insurance. Again, you must do, since the website will not send questions out. My first attempt, I happy to hit that insurance button, because it immediately went right off my credit card as a charge, without any of my questions being addressed as far as Nordic skiing trails length, internet, cell service or dead zones, (people need to work, right).

Found out 12 hours later and after I discovered on my own limited groomed Nordic skiing in the area, so called right off and said I thought it was a request to reserve, not a reservation. They mumbled so many terms so indecipherable I could not tell you a language. They currently with 4 days of work on my behalf have my cc in a pending status on this charge though the homeowner says he canceled based on my documentation. Still I have been charged a $300 on damage deposit, which has not gone canceled or even pending, certainly not refunded, though no one here has ever entered the home and the reservation was a month away. Ugly company!!! Second attempt was on opposite side of White Mountains near the Nordic ski center. This home still shows open, they took my request, then 24 hours later said they had not heard confirmation from the homeowner and cancelled my request.

Again, I paid 59 for insurance since this company is such a worry, so that is a loss. But the listing showed as fully open, and I was on the phone with the VRBO customer service to make sure that it was open before spending that money, wasting my time again in booking. Customer Service said it was open. The homeowner said she said opposite to them, she wrote me after their email. Last night hours after her email, the listing was back fully on live and open to rental. This morning it was fully on live as a rental. I tried to book it, again the VRBO took my request to book, they ran it 4 TIMES, so then my CC called it fraud and blocked them from my card. This is a BAD SITE!!! Now, I don't have my CC to use to make transactions during Christmas, well-done VRBO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

They quote wrong prices continually. I have condo in Florida with winter rates and off season rates. They quote the off season rates which are 75% less than winter. If you are just starting out renting and need some cash flow ok but look elsewhere later. They are arrogant indifferent terrible people. We are in the main middle class owners trying to make a few dollars.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Even though I paid my subscription in full and have had zero rental complaints in 7 years, VRBO inadvertently kept my deactivated my account for an entire month, sending my own VRBO URL link that I've had for several years to OTHER condos instead of mine. That link is the one I send to people who want to book my condo and the one I use in marketing because it used to take them to book the condo directly. And for a month, it has gone to a long list of my competitor condos instead of mine. So basically I PAID to do Facebook marketing, web marketing, and website SEO just to link to competitive properties? Wow wow wow! I noticed I was no longer getting bookings and checked my VRBO link that I've had for years. It was down and they admitted it has been down for over a month.

Despite their apologizing that it was down for no reason, they can't figure out how to repost the link and it's still going to my competitors. I have talked to 5 people at VRBO (phone and email) in 2 days and nobody can figure out why or how to fix it. VRBO is trying so hard to keep up with Airbnb. They are spending all their time incorporating an app with new features that are just completely useless for owners. It's similar to Airbnb, which I used and didn't like for a year. Owners on VRBO can no longer see the breakdown of how much was charged in rent, versus tax, versus fees to VRBO. It's very frustrating and more time consuming. One of the reasons I left Airbnb. I wish they would just stick to what they know and stop copying their competitors. I used to love VRBO but I'm cancelling my membership and getting a refund. They are bad bad bad.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I've rented from VRBO for over a decade. It seems like they have merged with HomeAway and their standard has been reduced to money grabbing. They do not care about customers, repeat customers especially - they would rather keep only positive reviews and not let consumers know that there may be a bad experience awaiting. They refused to post my review for my Ocean City, MD trip. I spent hours on the phone with the owner and have text messages where the owner suggested that I take in a piece of equipment for repair (!). None of this mattered. I simply asked for a partial refund. No refund. No post of my negative review. They don't care about people - buyer beware. Airbnb is what I will try next!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have used VRBO since their inception and up until 2016, was happy with the listing, the website, the cost...and even avoided passing along the 'service fee' by keeping all payments through me and not on-line. However, with their raised annual dues and their most recent announcement that ALL transactions MUST be via the VRBO payment systems for 2018, which then includes worthless-to-renter fees and credit card fees, it's unacceptable to me and adds cost to renters that is totally non-value add. And the new stupid ranking system that puts them in control of who views your listing is way over the top. We will be looking elsewhere for our property listing, but not before sending out a bulk email to all past renters letting them know why, and where to find us in the future.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have been a very long time customer (homeowner) advertising on VRBO then VRBO/HomeAway and have paid the ever-rising fees to advertise. I prefer to communicate personally with those wanting to rent my property and have been successful; however, the rules changed this year. Homeowners not only pay the fee to advertise but must agree to allow VRBO/HomeAway to schedule rentals, match renters to the most suited property, (VRBO/HomeAway knows more about my property than I do???,) collect all payments, charge the homeowner a "service fee" for collecting payments, charge the renter a "service fee" (for what?), then bother renters with emails to sell them "vacation insurance", remind them of their vacation dates, etc.

By this date every year, November 21, 2017, for the past 15 years my condo has been fully rented for the ski season, Dec.to mid-March. To date, I have one rental thru VRBO/HomeAway. It seems strange that I have about a 50 to 60% return rate of renters year after year but VRBO/HomeAway doesn't believe my condo "matches" many renters. Thank goodness for repeat renters from the previous years that have my information, and have called to reserve. Hopefully some of the many disgruntled VRBO/HomeAway users, including myself, can find a more customer friendly site.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I listed my home in The Villages for a "seasonal rental" - I was given their name by a fellow Villager who used to use them years ago, she said they were great! Ok, so sometime in September I decided NOT to go with a Realtor - however I did advertise on Craigslist for FLORIDA - OCALA - HOMES FOR RENT - VACATION PROPERTIES - THE VILLAGES. I had immediate success for my March rental. I vetted them (myself), collected the payment (myself) offered a vacation lease (myself) and have been paid in full - totally. I decided to go with VRBO and since then, I booked February, and a few days ago January. Everytime I call VRBO customer support, they transfer me to their "finance department" after hanging up on one Philippines rep after another (wanting to hear an American voice) I got through to their "financial department". This time I got a lovely woman, whom I could understand, but she was from Ireland.

I tried to get facts and figures and requirements and fee(s) better explained, but I got NOTHING BUT A RUNAROUND. She was reading from a script, and when I asked a question, she would put me on hold and come back with the same script as before. Hard pressed on "fee structure, charges, payment release etc" I learned that I would have to give THEM $399.00 in order to get the money my vacation renters ALREADY PAID. She went on to say that I would also pay a 3% commission to VRBO and a processing fee of about $140.00 FOR EACH RENTAL!!! There were 2 other fees that would apply and she put me on hold to find out what they were for. When she came back, she said - "I don't have any information on those fees, the underwriting department at our FINANCE COMPANY (this is where she slipped up) will set that amount.”

My momma didn't raise no dummy, their Underwriting department or more correctly known as their FINANCE COMPANY - I am guessing will apply their % probably some ridiculous 23% APR (they are offshore and do not abide by our banking regulations stateside). And, naturally they will add a couple hundred underwriting fee AND if that isn't enough, The FINANCE COMPANY also want a copy of my deed!!!! Seriously? My deed? I don't think so. So, after hearing quite enough - I told this woman, that is just NOT ACCEPTABLE and I will cancel my reservations and be done with them. She URGED me NOT to do that as I will be "blackballed" for the lack of a better term she used from VRBO, Like I care what they think of me. Thank God I didn't fall for this crap.

I was able to cancel my tenants’ bookings through VRBO and allegedly, they are refunding all their money back to their credit card, duhhhhh they kind of have to if it is fraud... our banking institutions will not FAVOR this type of charge (I forwarded the cancellation(s) to my tenants and kept a copy for myself. HOWEVER: There was a remaining balance (that I would imagine they want ME TO PAY) a couple hundred dollars for each booking. Why, because I found out they were a fraud? So I called my bank... JP Morgan. I explained everything and they blocked my account from VRBO, they are familiar with this kind of sham and they blocked anyone associated with my accounts, and told me to keep an eye on my checking statements, cc statements etc. Not trusting offshore companies, (and in case anyone doesn't know this, Walmart money card uses offshore accounts too)...

I would imagine by now since have my address, I don't know if they have my SS# (I doubt it I'm real careful about giving that out) but to verify who I say I am I have to give them the last 4 of my SS#... who knows what they know. I will bet a $1 ANYONE (and I will only mail the dollar)... that in time, there will be a levy against my home by them for this ambiguous charge and until pay it, they will say that somehow I signed a contract with them (which I did not) and who knows, betya it will generate a finance charge and who knows what that will be... 23% or higher, the sky is the limit with offshore banking, on each one of my tenants’ "fees" that I somehow owe!!? I urge anyone who was a PRIOR homeowner and thinks they are all that - contact them and try to figure out when YOU'LL get your money, and ask them exactly how much. I am certain you will be as disgusted as I am.

For new or first time VRBO users, RUN, DON'T WALK, RUN AWAY FROM THIS VRBO SCAM. Cancel your bookings or you and your guests will be VERY VERY UNHAPPY! I am just grateful that the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand up as the conversation went on and I am especially grateful that my people did not get hurt. Your site will not allow me to attach a file from VRBO, why am I not surprised but I am a Verified Homeowner and I want this company investigated. Don't believe me: Google it for yourself, or click on this link: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/vrbo.html

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I started my own vacation rentals business 6 years ago listing one property on VRBO. Now I have 33, but 2 weeks ago I stopped promoting my listings on HomeAway / VRBO. This company began making changes that seriously impacted my business. In less than 2 months I lost more than $15,000. I'm not sure what happened with the traditional HomeAway. They started being the ideal tool for the second owners and for the ambition to increase their income they left aside the ethics and professionalism that a company involved with customer services requires. Now they want to use it for everything and try to be the leaders in marketing, which they are not. Each shoemaker in their shoes.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

You can just read the other reviews to see what happened at VRBO. Once it was great. Now they just want to take more money and they don't care. My friend and I rented a beachside cabin 2 months ago and had to pay an extra 10 percent to VRBO who made the whole process confusing. Worst is that the extra charge was kinda disguised so it sounded like it was an extra charge from the owner. Fortunately the owner gave us some tips to help us avoid getting ripped off next time. We've just booked our next trip now–an apartment in Mexico and although we found it on VRBO we were able to make the deal direct with the owner, thanks to a browser add-on called Staysavr. That shows all the owners phone numbers so we never need to get ripped off again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have 3 properties on VRBO and have been a customer for a long time. Their new policy on having to make all payments through their website is a money grab. Paying over $1200 USD to list all my properties guests are also being charged a % to book. When I was told today that I needed to add the payment through VRBO or they wouldn't accept my renewal, that is ludicrous. They are holding both owners and guests hostage for admin fees. When I told the agent I am not giving out my bank info to any corporation to look after "my" money he said, "shouldn't be a problem and if there is... you can always SUE VRBO." This is what they are telling long standing customers. Anyone have any suggestion for new sites please advise because VRBO is a thing of the past... time will tell!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have been using vrbo for many years for individuals to locate and get in touch with me for renting our vacation home. I average 43 guests/reservations per year and am very satisfied with that. In the beginning (2009) the site was perfect and fit my needs. In the spring of 2016, they chose to abruptly change it and without the discretion of the people who originally signed up for it.

Originally, I paid an annual fee and I agreed to that. All of the sudden my guests are required to pay vrbo a fee, I am required to respond to my inquiries in a timed amount of time and either accept them as a guests or decline them as a guest (even if it is just them asking if we have a barbecue). Often, I am away from my desk when the alert comes through that someone is interested in my home. I do not respond until I am in front of my notes as well as my calendar. Often times, I may have paperwork out to a potential guest and the vrbo calendar looks clear but I am waiting for the deposit and the paperwork. If I do not accept them as a guest under vrbo's term (their time frame) they 'hide' my home.

I've called vrbo several times with my concerns and my suggestions with regards to possibly having different rates as to what the owners/managers needs are. I do not want them managing my site. I like to communicate with my potential guests and be sure we are a good fit. I prefer to email my paperwork, and give them a chance to look it over and have them send me the paperwork signed with a deposit check. I have only had a couple of concerns (out of 350+ reservations) with regards to my format. I am pleased to say, I have never double booked and have had great success with regards to my guests leaving my home well taken care of.

Not only am I dissatisfied with what vrbo has to offer with regards to their services for owner/managers... I've called several times with my concerns and the one who answers is very polite but, bottom line, they could care less. Today, I looked up the area 'Dillon Beach', in Marin County California. I was very frustrated when there were several homes on the same site within a 15 mile radius... Showing me those homes was wasting my time. Dillon Beach is a remote area and although the surrounding areas are lovely, that is not what I was looking for. That option should be a filter and it was not. I could go on and on with frustrations, however I do not have time for that. January is the month that I renew my membership to VRBO. I am seriously looking at other options and am frustrated that they think their changes benefit everyone. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had rented a condo in New Orleans for one night. It was for a week-end of high demand -- there were no hotels or other condos available. The day that I traveled from Boston to New Orleans I was contacted by the property owner that they had canceled my reservation. The company is called Hosteeva. They said that the local fire department had told them they needed to do "a fire inspection". Since this sounded highly suspicious, I contacted the fire department and they confirmed that they didn't have any inspections planned. Neither the property owner or VRBO would do anything to help me with the situation. In the end, I had to pay an additional $300 for a place to stay that evening. Both of these companies should be considered high risk in terms of keeping their agreements with their customers.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

OWNERS BEWARE – For many years I listed my lakefront home on VRBO and was very happy with the site. After several years they began making changes that seriously impacted my desire to use the site. I did not allow online booking, as I believed it was important to speak with potential renters to make sure it was a good match.

My home has a deck on the second story and also a loft that some may not feel would be safe if they have young children. I would provide the information and leave it to the renter’s discretion. Also, I choose to rent to families as it is a quiet area and I did not want a group of college age kids using it as a party house. Because I did not agree to direct online rentals when potential renters would put in very specific information as to the location, homes would come up that were in other areas and other states before my listing would show. Then they began charging renters a service fee and requiring an additional large security deposit or the option to avoid the additional deposit by paying for rental insurance other than what the owner required. As a result I decided to no longer use their rental site to advertise my property.

Recently I decided to rent a property for a family vacation. We chose a home and when I attempted to book the house it would not go through. After several unsuccessful attempts I contacted VRBO rental assistance. During the first call I was told that the owner changed the price and they were unable to process the request. I sent an email to the owner and was told that they had not changed their prices.

The owner told me to contact her if I continued to have issues. I sent an email back through the encrypted system stating that I could not contact her directly as VRBO does not allow owners or renters to share phone numbers or email addresses. I then received an email from Information Control stating that the email was being held for up to 48 hours for review. After three days I called the Information Control phone number and got a recording to leave a message. Two weeks later and I still have not gotten a response.

I have made 5 other attempts to rent the property online, through Rental Assistance and Customer Service, only to have them state there was an issue with the online booking of the home and they suggested I rent a different property. As a property owner I believe it is totally inappropriate for VRBO to suggest renting another property rather than addressing to issue that prevents renters from renting a home that the owner pays to have listed on the site.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

The recent changes in VRBO/HomeAway "Standards" forced on owners advertising on the site adversely impacts potential renters in numerous ways. Although homeowners pay an annual fee or subscription based fee for listing the property on their site, the new "Standards" impose a 10% service fee to the renter. I have yet to get an answer on what services are provided to the renter for this fee other than faster booking through VRBO/HomeAway website.

Secondly the new "Standards" prohibits homeowners from seeing contact information for the potential renter and prohibits the homeowner from sharing their personal contact information. As a renter, I want to speak to the owner BEFORE I shell out a $1,000+ dollars to rent their property and book airline tickets. When traveling many miles for a vacation I want to know there is a real person I can talk to, who cares about their property and reputation, if something is wrong upon arrival or goes wrong during my stay.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

We have been booking VRBO properties for years. We booked a property for Christmas and were hit with an undisclosed service charge of $129! This is a charge for using the website and is not refundable. Plus this was on top of a $60 fee from the property management company and a $500 security deposit. We are done with VRBO. Might as well pay for the resort hotel and get the extra service.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Owner of a large property. I discovered this property listed for rent and available on the VRBO website last May. I complained that this had not been authorized by me. After many calls and evidence of my ownership I received an email saying that they had removed the listing. I checked again a few months later and it is still there. After numerous calls they are now asking for same paperwork again despite sending all over before. They are advertising a house they have no access to and it seems there is no way for me to get this listing off. I consider this very suspicious and would be wary of booking anything through this company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I thought it to be frustrating and ridiculous that my first attempt to use both these websites resulted in the same outcome. You are required to enter all of your personal information including credit card info only to be told the owner has never responded to your request so it is cancelled. Am I the only one here that thinks this is ridiculous???!!! And then I am told that my account will be a permanent account on HomeAway?? I can never delete or cancel the account, I can change the email address that is on file but can never cancel the account permanently??? Why anyone would ever use these websites is beyond me. Also cannot stand foreign speaking customer service reps that you can't understand and don't know what they are doing (the fleecing of America). Outsourcing as usual.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I rented a cabin in May in Sevierville TN. Had a great time the cabin was not bad. Communication with owner was prompt when I had questions. However, after the trip I asked when I was going to get my deposit back. 2 Weeks I was told. That came and went. I tried to contact owner again no response to any of my attempts. When it was clear the owner was not going to give deposit back I contacted VRBO. They had a guarantee.

However, what they don't tell you is you're going to spend hours of contacting your bank credit card company to get the refund. They even told me that you will be rejected because it was past 60 days. The deposit was due more than 60 days before the trip. Then you're going to get a letter, then you have this website with a million questions and you can't make any mistakes on answering the questions and proving you did your due diligence to attempt to recover the deposit. If you mess up or forget something and you submit your request and it's denied then you don't get any more chances. When I saw all the questions and all the hoops I had to jump through and how much time it was going to take I gave up. My time is more valuable than the deposit. I think they did this by design. Puts a stink on an otherwise great vacation.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

On two occasions tenants have written bad reviews when all or part of their security deposits were held. This happens after the tenant tells you how wonderful everything was and then after they leave excessive damages and don’t get their deposit back they post negative reviews. VRBO will only remove these negative reviews if the property owner can provide written proof that the tenant threatened the property owner with a bad review to get their money back. Property owners that have numerous five star reviews should not have to accept excessive damages and provide full refunds in order to maintain their excellent ratings.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Vacation Nightmare! - I paid 8,600 in advance to rent a property. Upon arrival the property was not as described, in very poor repair and filthy. I did not stay in the home, but lost all of the money, neither the homeowner nor VRBO were will to help me in any way.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I cannot see how they can blatantly use and abuse customers and remain in business? LOOK AT THE REVIEWS!! Really doesn't matter what area you talk about, this is just a scam on several levels. The worst part is how they force you to use their mobile app., but in order to download it, they require to know all your information about you and to get your contacts list off your phone, as well as other private access. Customer service will double talk you to death trying to say they don't get your contact list, and of course the agents themselves don't, but this pathetic company can harass and abuse your friends and family, start SPAMMing them, selling your information, whatever they like!

Based on the morality and consideration I've received so far with my complaint, I would NOT trust these people as far as I could throw them! The level of consideration is so bad, these people need customers and then abuse them by stealing information. How pathetic and arrogant??!! I'm disabled and will be spending my time letting people on social media know how wrong this is.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I rented a vacation unit at Papakea on Maui based on the photos the owner posted on the website. When I arrived I was given a completely different unit which was not anything like the posting and far below the standards shown in the photos. Knowing the owner lived in Las Vegas, I decided complaining would be useless and just enjoyed the time outdoors. When VRBO emailed for a review I gave a less than complimentary review, the owner then gave me, as renter, a less than complimentary review, even though I left the unit cleaner than when I arrived. I'll never book through or recommend VRBO. I learned a lesson: VRBO may sound like a good way to enjoy a vacation, but beware, not all owners are honest, ethical or dependable.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Been a VRBO vacation rental owner since 2008. Right now, have 4 rentals on their site and am searching for new ones so that I can drop VRBO. Their advertising is absolutely false, as they claim they only charge service fees of 5-1/2% to 9%. So far, all of my rental service fees have ranged from 14% to 18% of the rental. My business has dropped and their site is horrible (and I'm extremely computer literate). I've had customers tell me they are avoiding VRBO because of the exorbitant fees.

I've developed my own personal website now, but it's difficult to get good search engines, as VRBO and HomeAway have pretty much locked all that up. They have created a monopoly, which I thought was illegal in this country, as they have bought just about every vacation rental site out there. I believe the hotels are behind this because Expedia does most of their business with hotels, and vacation rentals have competed with hotels with lower prices. Airbnb is just as bad, and has even worse customer service than VRBO. Another option is FlipKey and Home Escape, but I've received little response. Possibly, in time that'll change as more people refuse to use VRBO, so I'm sticking with Home Escape for now, although I have to use VRBO just to survive.

Expedia must be making billions now with the outrageous service fees and subscription fees. In fact, if they're charging my customer 14% to 17% of the rental, they are actually making more than want I end up with after all my expenses. And they haven't invested a dime in my business! They have ruined the whole concept by taking away our personal contact with the renter and continue to send ridiculous emails to my renters during the process of the rental, which only confuses my renters, as I have my own form of welcoming, instructions and thanking them for their business. My renters don't need their "generic" emails. They are crooks and don't care if they put us out of business because they have so many other avenues out there to make money. Putting us out of business will just enhance their hotel business even more.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I tried renting my home through VRBO and needed to know what my guest was billed. Their support team is off-shore, and had a script they read from. If the question wasn't on the script they couldn't answer the question. They cannot forward the call to someone who can answer the question (apparently if it's not on the script - there is no answer). They ultimately forwarded me to their payment processing 3rd party contractor who agreed that VRBO was completely disorganized but they couldn't help at all because they simply take the payment, deduct 3% and forward it on to VRBO -- they have no details on what the payment is for.

THEN - out of frustration I canceled the reservation and the client now has received emails that their fees have been refunded -- but when she checked her credit card there's no refund. No customer support available for that issue! The good news is - for all those who can't get email addresses or phone numbers -- they are available after the booking is made. The bad news is - they may try to contact you to get VRBO to respond. It appears as though there are fees upon fees upon fees with this company. For my booking it looked like I was going to pay almost $100! I'd rather just go through AirBnB. The process is quick, easy, and straightforward and VERY low fees.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Went from 3-4 inquiries/rentals a month down to none since the Expedia merge. What a shame - was a great company - now going to AIRBNB. They say having hotels on the site next to our listings is not damaging - that is nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Terrible experience with VRBO/Home Away. I made a reservation thru them on October 1st and one month later on October 30 I received a cancellation notice. I had reserved for the Thanksgiving holidays, now the cost is higher and a new reservation for the same dates not only has increased the price but finding a place for 7 people is much harder. This company doesn't offer an additional credit like Airbnb. Last time I will use this site. Not recommended. On my own experience Airbnb is way much more responsible. The owners of the property Bryan and Daniella **, won't reserve any properties from them either. I'm just waiting to receive my money back.

VRBO.com Company Information

www.vrbo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use