3.1/5 (1347 ratings)

About VRBO.com

VRBO.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I booked a 4 night stay in Miami Beach (Flamingo/Lummus Property ID: 2931463). One hour before arrival the host messaged me that they accidentally double booked and asked me to cancel the reservation so they would not be penalized. I called VRBO and asked them to rebook me at another property that was the exact same price. This was a last minute emergency booking because my apartment building on MB had been emergency evacuated for 10-15 days, and this reservation utilized the last of my money. VRBO would NOT transfer my reservation to a new, equal cost, property. Their 3rd party customer service (overseas) did not have that authority, but offered a refund (3-5 bus days) which left me stranded with not enough money to afford another reservation (let alone food) for the four days. Last night I slept in my car, and will see what comes of it, but my advice DO NOT COUNT ON VRBO!!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I signed up with the VRBO site to be a host during a slow period and compared to Airbnb, it was very difficult to manuever and not flexible in so many areas, that I could not even use the site comfortably. The VRBO calendar did not sync properly with my Airbnb calendar and every time I called VRBO, it sounded like I was talking to a robot, that did not care. I had a minor inquiry initially, from a prospective guest and it was like pulling teeth to communicate, especially compared to the Airbnb service.

The last straw was VRBO, falsely advertising that you will NEVER have a host stay on the same property with a guest. Well, that is so misleading. I personally have been running a very successful Airbnb rental for 3 years and have always stayed on the property, but in a totally separate, totally private area of the house totally free from guest interactions. I know others who do the same thing. When I signed up with VRBO, I advertised exactly the same thing, and discussed it with them, which they had NO PROBLEM with that, nor have my guests. So now I am seeing that VRBO FALSELY ADVERTISES that when you rent with us, the host will not be in the same property. VRBO, from what I can tell, from the numerous incredibly bad reviews, it sounds like they should not even be in business, much less advertising on National TV.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

We rented a place in Scottsville Kentucky on October 7, 2022. The pictures on VRBO wasn’t nowhere near of what the actual place looked like. Once getting there after a 8 hour drive we went in and was preparing for bed and noticed spiders in the bed and bees in the house wasp. We called the home owner thru VRBO and ask them when was the last time they sprayed she sent a note back and said two months prior.

The house was filthy outside was horrible, holes in the front porch roof, steps wasn’t that safe the rail to hold onto was very bad. Bugs in the living room light outside and inside the globe. The front porch was no longer on the front of the House safety issues everywhere. Bathroom at the sink level outlet has no cover on it so if water splashed on it then the breaker would kick out. Exposed wiring, the decks wasn’t safe by no means. Rotten wood. The bugs was so bad in the windows you could hardly see out them. Spider webs everywhere including one in the kitchen with a spider on it. Back porch outlet was so unsafe, you could even go out the sliding patio door because of the spider webs.

We called VRBO the next morning and the customer service wanted pictures so I took pictures while being on hold and sent them to confirm they got them and they did, customer service advised us to leave the property because of the safety concerns. They ask if we wanted to be out somewhere else we said I want my refund back, customer service advices me that she was sending Al the information to the safety department and they would be in touch, so that was on October 8, 2022.

It is now November 9, 2022 and still nothing. I’ve been on the phone with VRBO 16 different phone calls and even right now as I’m writing this I’m on hold again. I want my money back. We did exactly what customer service told us to do because of the safety concerns. And still no money back yet, I guess I’ll have to call the credit card company and file a fraud claim on it. I don’t understand why I’m on the phone all this time and still no refund.. I still have the pictures I guess I get on Facebook and complain along with the pictures.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

If you have any issues, especially safety, with VRBO, do not expect to get helped. Customers DO NOT come first!! We booked a rental in Reno, Nevada. The front of the property was shown, but not the sides or back...When we drove up to the Apartment, there was a liquor store on the corner of block with Iron door and window coverings, graffiti and people sleeping in their van. Plus, trash everywhere and chainlink fence. We took numerous photos from every angle. No way did we feel safe staying there, and did not!

We immediately went the nearest hotel, checked in and called VRBO. Wow were kept on the line waiting more than an hour, waited to be called back, called them and waited more than an hour again. We sent VRBO the photos and were given a case number. That was back in August 2022, WE HAVE NEVER HEARD from them again! No refund of more than $500. It is now November! Good luck to your safety and customer support! Have fun staying on the phone mostly on hold, and getting nothing for your time, or money back for your safety or satisfaction!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I am travelling 6 hours by road from Ontario, Canada to Rochester, N.Y., USA. The host refuses to give our check-in information until tomorrow, the day of arrival. I have explained I will have no access to my email while I am on the road and would like the information today. Now they are not returning my emails. Spoke to VRBO customer service twice and they are basically telling me there is nothing they can do. What the hell!! People should realize that booking through VRBO does not guarantee you will get what has been promised to you. Quite honestly, I have no idea what to do now.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

The dirtiest place I have ever seen. Mold everywhere, garbage, dirty towels dirty sheets, dirty mattresses and stained, blood on doors, and they refuse to refund. Look at my FB posting pictures filthy

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

We rented a condo with the agreement that there would be sleeps 4. My son and I went to Puerto Rico. First night I could not sleep all night. The bed was as hard as a rock. It had no springs whatsoever. It was a piece of hard foam. The living room sofa bed where my son slept was just springs. No mattress. It was a horrible experience. I called and said we cannot stay here. Then I started looking around and on such short notice I could not find anything reasonable in Puerto Rico. It’s very expensive. We paid $135. per night there for 7 days. We decided Kevin would sleep on top of blankets to try to soften the bed and I would sleep on the sofa on top of it. That is what we did.

The 2nd day the key that took us to the 10th floor broke in the lock. We did not break it. It broke itself in the lock. Maybe from lots of use, I don’t know. But we called the manager Maritza and she came and said, “Don't worry about it. It's not your fault.” The place was Ant infested. I got rid of their ants for them with Clorox wipes. Ants don’t like Clorox wipes. Since I came back I have had to see the chiropractor 3x. I called the company when I got notice that they were going to bill me $60 for the key. THE NERVE of them after we did not get any good sleep there and actually hurt my back too. I called VRBO and to complain.

I got through to the first person at Vrbo and they told me, "You will not have to pay for that key. We will get back to you." No one did in 7 days so I called again and this time she said that she would escalate the problem and they would need 7 more days. I asked to speak to a supervisor and there was not one available. I called again and got put on hold for 20 minutes. I hung up! WE did not break that key. It broke in the Elevator. I have called 3x. They are completely non responsive. They don't resolve issues. They ignore them. What kind of company is this?

Rebeca **

ID **

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

It was the night before the trip and the host was not answering phone calls or emails so we had no instructions on how to check-in or gain access to the property. VRBO said to call customer support at check-in time next day to give the host a chance to respond. Needless to say this added tremendous stress as we had to get on a plane and arrive at our destination without ANY idea about our lodging. When we landed we were told that since the host had failed to respond VRBO would provide the first night lodging at a hotel near the property. We had to check-out the next morning though and wait until 4pm the next day again, to book yet another hotel (the original hotel had no availability) to give the host time to communicate. The host continued to ignore emails and phone calls.

The second night we had to book the hotel ourselves (because VRBO had no tools to do so - according to their email) and we were given a budget of x amount of $. Despite submitting all the documentation required: Government issued photo ID, hotel itemized bill, and credit card payment, I have yet to receive reimbursement for the second night at the hotel and I just spent about an hour explaining the entire chain of events to customer support. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

We canceled a reservation in Fort Myers post Hurricane Ian as unfortunately the property was heavily damaged. We submitted a cancellation 30 days ago and because the owner has not "accepted" the cancellation, we have not received our money back. I have called 4 times. The issue has been escalated twice. I was then told the second escalation actually has made the process longer. I asked how long I am supposed to wait for VRBO to hear from the owner and was told "I don't know."

I have never experienced worse customer service. The fact that they can advertise their "Book with Confidence Guarantee offering comprehensive payment protection" on their website is a crime. They continue to say we will get our money back...when the owner accepts the cancellation; however, they cannot say how long we will have to wait. I think everyone knows what that means. The only reason I gave one star is because it is a required field. My true rating is 0 stars.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

VRBO very aligned to owners/hosts. They are reluctant to side with guests, in a dispute with owners. We submitted a negative review and photos for the owner because we found mice droppings in our bed and the cabin was dirty otherwise. The owner told us that we were dishonest. The review was rejected and two weeks later we were told to revise it and resubmit. We revised it but the system did not allow us to post it because it was past 14 days. Their customer service would not help us saying it's the system's rules. Also VRBO would not help us get full refund. We will never again use VRBO for our travel!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I paid over 4K for a few days at a property in Surfside Beach, TX. The house was filthy. I previously read the reviews before booking and Vrbo blamed the customer for showing up early which didn’t give the cleaning people they use enough time to clean thoroughly so I made sure to show up late. There was dust piles, the place is never swept, my toddlers found a vape pen, mind you these places are supposed to be non smoking and the place was consumed by a cigarette smell.

I called them to complain and was offered nothing, the entire first night there I spent washing sheets, blankets, sanitizing everything, basically doing a deep clean for free. They offered not one day refund, what they did do was leave Clorox wipes and Febreze for me the person who paid them to clean. I took pictures of everything, I emailed the pictures and they don’t care and didn’t even attempt to make it right. I will never use Vrbo again, people work hard for their money and expect to get what they paid for, it’s not that hard.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Fake customer support; no support for fake rental announcements. They seem nice and ready to help, just to do nothing with properties that are not available for rent that you pay and get no money back. Totally not recommended!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

After 5 calls to VRBO I have still not received my refund for a rental property. The host kept my money after we showed up at the property and the property had no power due to Hurricane Ian. Support contacted the host but the host was only willing to give us a partial refund of $800 on a $3200 reservation. This is unacceptable and the traveler has no recourse to get money refunded. I am beyond pissed at VRBO for the level of support I have had on this. I have had no callbacks on multiple requests. This will be my last reservation with VRBO.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I have booked a place using the VRBO website for a stay in WARSAW Poland for my wife and 3-year-old daughter. When they arrived at the place at the time of agreement there was no such building found and the phone number that was provided by the host wasn't valid. After contacting VRBO and spending 1 hour and 35 minutes "I was transferred from department to department" because the system wasn't working while my wife and daughter were outside in the cold waiting. In the end, my family was offered 3 options at the hostel stay which were 10$ a night for the inconvenience. I spent more on an Uber ride to the place!!! Horrible service, please stay away!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

The "host" cancelled on us 4 minutes AFTER we were scheduled to check in. No communication besides "property unavailable"... Even after 2 confirmations and payment in full was made. We were the third group this host cancelled on in 3 months. The VRBO Service team was only authorized to book and cover a hotel for one night, despite our reservation being for 3 nights. We were told a rebooking team would call in 24 hours to help for the following nights but they never did! Unacceptable. And ridiculously... Even though we were cancelled on, ignored and stranded... They still sent us an auto email to "tell us about your stay"?!?!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

VRBO has the most horrendous customer service I have ever seen. 1 month ago we stayed in apartment that had bed bugs, we physically saw them and have photo proof, have called them at least 7 times, opened multiple cases, and I still have not got my money back. We left that first night, and contacted VRBO right away to report it and get our money back. I emailed them pictures of the bugs, they made a case and said it would be reviewed within the week. After our vacation I called them and they said they had lost the pictures I initially sent and nothing was happening on the initial case I opened. I call back a week or so later with still no update. They escalate it to another team. I'm also contacting the host and he's saying he can't refund me because the listing is down and he would like to refund me but not able to.

Call a week later, no progress. They make another case going to a different team - call a week later and the guy tells me none of the cases I opened are even open anymore! All closed with nothing happening! After a month's work!! How does that even happen?? By this time the host does refund me some money and says I need to call vrbo again from them to release their portion. The guy tells me the host didn’t actually refund me the full amount, and he until he refunds the full amount or until the host calls them, they can't refund their portion of the money. So now I have to message the host again and rely on the goodness of his heart to refund me the rest and call vrbo to have them release the rest, that’s the solution I am given.

I asked why are all those cases closed and he says "they were duplicates". Duplicates that the vrbo customer service made themselves!! And they weren't exactly duplicates, they to different teams who should handle the refund. And so as of right now, I have been told just to work with the host while nothing is happening on the vrbo side to solve this problem. It's madness. No support from this company. Even with solid evidence of what happened. Wasting my time and effort with so many calls and messages to them and the host. I am honestly shocked at how unorganized and unprofessional this company is when their marketing is all about them being about premium vacation rentals. This was my first and last time using them. Joke of a company. Get an Airbnb.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

We rented a home in ocean side and a number of items were not disclosed to us. I have contact with owner numerous times about my dogs and the home. The owner never disclosed that a total remodel of home next door was being done. The homes are very close together and the remodel was from 7:00am to 7:00pm everyday except Sunday. The day we arrived I contact the owner about the remodel. I was told that I could not get a refund and that my contact stated that there could be local noise. I asked her why she had not disclosed the remodel in advance to our arrival. She responded with, "Because I don't have to."

The air conditioner was set to 72 and could not be adjusted however the temp never went down more than 2 to 3 degrees. We stayed during a very bad heat wave and the temp in home would not cool off. We left 48 hours later as we could not take the construction noise or the temperature of home. We contacted her to let her know that we were leaving the home and would not be coming back. She once again told us no refunds. I wrote a review on VRBO site to warn others about the construction noise. She responded by saying that we were unreasonable quests and wanted to stay for free. She also made several negative comments about us and that all of what I stated was a lie. She also stated that she offered a discount for the remodel and that she informed us about it. Both of these statements are false.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Lousy tech support, customer "service" is useless, I have 12 apts. listed, trying to list two more for days, no one can figure out or fix glitches on the website, waste of time calling them, poorly trained agents are lost, frustrated. I'm giving up and posting them on Airbnb and Booking.com only, I have a headache already.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I have been waiting for a refund for over 30 days now. Went through Texas BBB and have a written statement from Vrbo I am due a refund. This has been going on since August 12, 2022, when the property I booked was misrepresented and had health and safety issues. I followed all the required steps and again called Vrbo last night. First call was put on hold several times then disconnected. (This happened back in August as well after being on hold for 1 1/2 hrs.)

I called back again and was told to email all the pictures and messages. I was then told my case had to be "escalated" to a supervisor. No confirmation date for a callback. I asked why I had to prove my claim when Vrbo through BBB message confirmed I am owed a refund. This has caused more emotional and mental distress than I can explain. I had never used Vrbo before and could not believe the total disregard for the consumer. The property owner also a liar and even in a message stated he would refund me but has not. I have more evidence that would hold up in a court of law and just may go that way. BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I am an Airbnb super host. After being pursued by VRBO I decided to try listing one of my 15 properties with VRBO. Rented the property almost immediately. $500 rental fee. VRBO doesn’t pay me. They tell me they hold the first rental payment for 30 days. Try to cancel my account. Can’t. Property is listed 2 more times. People come, stay. No payment from Vrbo. Now they tell me “every renter in the interim period, the first 30 days we hold”. They owe me almost $1000 and I have seen zero payments. Customer service people in the Philippines are useless, no ability to reach out to company. I learned an expensive lesson, $1000 worth. VRBO doesn’t pay their hosts, they are using that money, which isn’t theirs, to run their business. They then use other hosts' money to pay previous hosts. Classic Ponzi scheme. DO NOT USE VRBO!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

The host canceled our stay less than 24 hours before we were to arrive. We contacted VRBO to see if they would make any accommodations for us since we also purchased the insurance as well. Vrbo did not have any kind of protocol in regards to handling any kind of problems from what I can see. We took it upon ourselves to book at least one hotel night until we figure things out. Let's just say vrbo said that they would take care of two of our hotel nights for two of the hotel rooms & as of today it has been 3 months and we have never gotten a penny back from vrbo that would have offset the overages we paid for their cancelation of our paid in full air b&b. VRBO is absolutely garbage when it comes to handling or resolving issues. I am sure we were not the first to have an issue with a last minute cancelation by their host but apparently there is no protocol for handling any type of issues. ZERO STARS.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I’ve had 3 miserable experiences with VRBO. They are the worst company if you can call it that - on one instance I was left stranded in a foreign country - another a fake vacation rental and recently trying to book with them was a complete time wasting exercise. Airbnb is 100 times better. VRBO should be sued, fined and shut down so as it stops perpetrating fraud!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I booked a Panama City Beach rental vacation for 56 days (Jan and Feb 2023). Then last month the Host cancelled the reservation. The Host sent me an email that I would be full refund within 14 days. Since then the HOST removed web page (forehand rentals) and no longer excepts phone calls. The host most likely went bankrupt and now is in the wind. I notified Vrbo about this and they stopped answering my phone calls. I had to report this to BBB. It'll take about 10 days to get an answer from VRBO. DO NOT BOOK ANY RENTAL from Vrbo as the book with confidence is NOT a policy then abide by.

I'm out 3000 dollars and now my snowbird vacation is no longer possible. The next step most likely is going to small claims court to get my money back. This could happen to you and Vrbo policy is a joke. Since I first reported this to VRBO and they escalated my case. Every time I called Vrbo to get a status update they hang up on me. Always after I gave customer support my reservation number. What else can be done!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

Rented vacation property from VBRO. It was so bad the our party didn't stay even one night. Property was dirty, and disrepair. It actually had a jaw bone of an animal 3 feet from a side door. Trash cans that were next to a door and overflowing with flies everywhere. Cracks in the flooring. Dirt on the floor to include dog food. Bathroom had a soap dish missing of the wall in the shower. An additional mother in law suite door lock to the outside did not work creating a real safety issue.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I think we all need to band together to boycott VRBO, a company with the worst customer service I have EVER experienced. After a rental, they allowed the owner to charge my credit card for an additional cleaning fee which was completely unjustified and I was not allowed to offer any evidence to dispute the charge. After 2 months of countless phone calls, receiving different answers or excuses every time, I finally gave up trying to get my money back. The owner was disgruntled because I didn’t give them a great review (low review was deserved as the property was nothing like it was advertised to be). I travel extensively and have used VRBO often and will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

Anytime I call VRBO, I get a representative who basically only knows how to answer the phone and verify I am a host. If I have an issue with a chargeback, a question about a review, or anything else that requires skills other than answering a phone and reading a script, then I’m completely out of luck. They say no one can speak to anyone in the billing department or a supervisor. Basically VRBO only collects the hosts' and guests' money and doesn’t offer a service beyond that. I guess they only hire people to answer the phone to appear they are going to help. VRBO has significantly gone downhill in the last year. They used to be better than Airbnb and offer service and support. Now there is zero support. They even allow for chargebacks to be deducted from your account without allowing hosts to participate in the process. Beware of VRBO and protect yourself because VRBO does not.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

VRBO customer service is horrible. Avoid using them if possible. I recently stayed at one of their listings. They allowed the host to charge my card after I checked out with no explanation. I have spent 30 days trying to get answers and just keep getting the run around. Then they rejected my review of the property. Suspiciously this property has no reviews despite being listed and available for more than a year. I suspect they made some arrangement with the host. VRBO does not have the guest best interest in mind. Avoid them if possible and definitely do not give them your credit card info. And do not book with host that have no reviews.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

The apartment we booked through VRBO in Porto, Portugal this September was totally unprepared to receive guests. Poor management and no oversight from the LovelyStay team (who would not meet us at the apartment). Gave us a horrible experience of dirty dishes with dried food on them, mold in the bathroom, other deficiencies and worse of all a bottom bed sheet that was two halves sewn together with a thick seam that ran horizontally across the mattress under our back. A conversation with VRBO had them take absolutely no responsibility for this awful apartment and they did not support us in any way at all. We will never use VRBO in the future.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Vrbo is horrible terrible customer service… I rented a home in Buffalo on June 21 to watch the Buffalo Bills on Oct 8. On Sept 21 the owner of the house sent a message on their platform saying he is no longer using vrbo as his platform. Ok all good. It’s his choice. Keep in mind I have paid in full as per their policy, all good. I’ll just VRBO get a refund so I can book something else… And it begins. First call Sept 21. 1 hour on the phone. Vrbo will not cancel the listing as the owner of the house who has my money has to cancel… "Ok," I said. Vrbo call him and emails him. Sorry he won’t answer, I said the message he sent me is clearly Saying we are not hosting on Vrbo and we are in the process of cancelling. Ok. The agent said, "We will escalate it. Please wait 24/48 hours and our team will call you…" Sept 24 still no call.

I call again, "Hey you guys still have my money and I need a refund or another accommodation." "So very sorry sir. We cannot issue a refund until the host cancel," I ask who has my money. Vrbo customer agent the host does. So what is his incentive to cancel if he already has my money. "I get it sir. I’m sorry." We have escalated to our team they will call you within 24/48 hours. Ok very frustrated at this point. Sept 27. "Hi. I still have not received a call from your investigation department. I’m leaving on Oct 8. Can I speak to your manager…." Vrbo, "Sorry sir. That’s not how we work. Please be patient. We will call you in 24/48 hours." Keep in mind every phone call is about 1 hour. So I wait. Oct 1 I call again. I still have not received a call. I still have not received a refund. There are almost zero accommodation in Buffalo. I don’t understand. Please refund my money.

Guess what I’ve been told. "Sir it has been escalated to our investigation department. I can assure you someone will call you within 24/48 hours." Keep in mind hurricane Ira hit the south and they are very busy with accommodation there. "Hey," I say. "I sympathize. I’m sorry that people can’t stay over in Florida and a lot of the rental homes were damaged. But guess what. I too can’t stay in my accommodation in Buffalo on Oct 8." "I’m very sorry sir. I get this is very upsetting. Hold on sir. Let me see what I can do." Mysteriously the call drops. No call back. Oct 1 is a Saturday. I’m heading to a friends cottage. I’ll give till Tuesday. I’m sure I’ll get a call back. Oct 4 no call. I call again same song and dance our team will call you in 24 hours this time…

VRBO is absolute garbage. Stay away. They are not interested in their traveller customer. Only their host is important to them. Will I get a call back on Oct 5. Absolute garbage. This is how they treat a person using their platform to rent accommodation. Huge advertisement here in Canada at this moment. If people only knew. My saga continues. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

VRBO may win the award for worst customer service ever. After a week of trying to phone them (supposedly 24/7 customer service), you go in a queue and then you hold after they say hold time is 1-2 minutes. 30 minutes later it says thank you goodbye...click! This happens every day, all day anytime you try. I tried the (new) chat service and it is just an automated service. If you keep typing eventually they will have a real agent come on. After explaining my issue of not being provided a refund even though I cancelled on the cut off date for a full refund. The agent sent an email link to send all my proof. I did this with pictures and all. I got absolutely no response to my email. They may have spoken to the host because she contacted me saying she can't give a refund, even though she didn't cancel by booking properly, but she would offer another location which has no reviews. She offered it for the same price and it isn't as nice as the original place.

I accepted, but now a week later she will not provide a new contract to show I'm booked with a confirmation number and an ability to change dates if needed. I resent my email to VRBO asking for someone to please call and of course like the first email nobody replied. I'm now on hold again and it's been almost 45 minutes now. I expect to be cut off any minutes. I want my refund so I can book another property as I have lost confidence in this woman and don't trust that there will be a place when we get there. This is all so disappointing! I will never ever book through VRBO again.

Christina **