1.06/5
Based on 358 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

Last updated: May 22, 2018

1473 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am an owner of a house that lists on VRBO and I am shocked by how expensive VRBO fees are for my guests. As a basic website listing a property it is shockingly and unjustifiably expensive. It offers little value. It is a horrible website. Now, in addition to charging fees it also is requiring payment through its site, which also increases the cost to consumer. It is a HORRIBLE site for consumers.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I was just on the phone w/ VRBO and my last two payments were short the damage deposit from my renter... I was informed "this is the way the platform is moving". What's up - this isn't VRBO's money - it's mine!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am a property manager who manages several vacation rentals at a local resort. I acquired 2 new properties recently, and up until now, had no problem receiving copies of emails regarding the deposits to my business account. They gave me the runaround after I called for "SUPPORT" at least 10 times, and they just bounced me back and forth between the HomeAway website and the VacationRentPayments company. They have lied to me about what proof was needed to receive proof of payment from the renters, which I need to do my job. Their customer service is also the worst. Everyone I spoke to sounded like they were scripted, they would not let me speak to a supervisor, or they would put me on hold hoping I would just give up. I want every homeowner and renter to be warned not to list or book with them. You will regret it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Rental in Clermont, FL at Silver Creek on Woodcrest Way - When arriving at the home we rented for 3 months the toxic fumes of bleach were so bad we ended up sick! The home was filthy... mold in bathrooms, showers. Carpet and tile were so gross. Couch and loveseat were disgusting. Pool area so dirty, mold around tiles, drains covers broken, pool lights not working. Patio furniture was old and worn out. Garage with pool table stunk, and junk all over. Washer was filthy. All exterior lights were burned out as was bathrooms. Property Mgmt came and agreed, but said the "owner" wouldn't do anything about it, wouldn't spend the $. Ann and Gary ** already had our $11800... so we were stuck. I even sent pics of all the filth to them... then found a wonderful woman who came and spent over 4 hours cleaning. She was shocked when she saw it. I sent pics again of the before and after... of course nothing was done about carpet.

They came and powerwashed the pool area... pool company cleaned pool. We had to buy covers to put over couches, light bulbs, rugs, towels, forks... quilt covers for beds... shower curtain. Before renting this property I talked with Ann and she assured me that it was a wonderful property... the pictures were a lie! Had to constantly call property manager to get things done... very poor service! When we left the home it was 90 percent clean... not carpet. New rugs... silk plants in pool area, and entrance, light bulbs. I had to contact owner about getting our $$$ deposit back. We just got it. The owner actually said that she was sorry it didn't work out for the "both of us"!! She owns 3 houses in a row... and the renters on each side had the same type complaints. I think before VRBO should make sure what the properties they rent are as pictured! Very disappointed.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been with VRBO for ten years. I enjoyed being a part of their business, it was great. As you all know things changed when purchased by new owners. Recently they started to retain the traveler's damage deposit. No warning. No explanation. Just did it. Why? They must have millions retained in damage deposits. Now they have their greedy little hands on our cash for their benefit. This is only speculation but 2 & 2 does = 4 and so since money is going out everyday and new money coming in every day, they only need a total reserve cushion of 10%, so they have 90% or a lot of money to invest and profit from. Money hungry company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am an owner of a vacation house. I have used VRBO for renting my property for 10 years. I was always pleased with them until HomeAway took over. Now it is a nightmare. I have my own cancellation policies as I have been stiffed with people putting a deposit to hold the reservation and kept shopping for a better deal. Needless to say they would cancel the reservation and I wouldn't be able to rent it for the days that this renter had booked. I now charge a 50% cancellation fee if cancelled > 31 days of arrival. Now VRBO has a limited choice of cancellation policies and is just not acceptable. I had a renter cancel and said that they received an email from VRBO stating they would get a 100% refund.

I called VRBO and explained that my contract that is attached to the reservation states clearly my cancellation policy. Believe it or not, VRBO sided with me. I contacted them and said that I did not want their cancellation policies on my listing. They said it has to be on there. This is BS. We all pay our good money to advertise with them. We are the owners and they work for us. I also don't like the way we have no means to contact those that submit inquiries (and they have no way to contact us). Even after the reservation is accepted, they no longer provide addresses of the renters. In the past, I use Yapstone but now only use PayPal. We had a renter wanting to cancel their reservation after arriving at the house. They said it was filthy and uninhabitable, hair all over the linens and smelled horrible.

What they didn't realize was that we live in the same area as the rental house and had been there before their arrival and checked everything and found nothing wrong. My husband went to the house and asked them to show him what she was complaining about. One was a "maggot" she said she found. It was a small caterpillar by the front door, there was no hair on any of the linens and smelled clean. We videoed the entire house and called VRBO and sent them the video and our statement. They agreed with us on this and case was closed. Yapstone tried to get our bank to release to them the money that the renter had paid. We told them that VRBO agreed with us. It all got very nasty and we are no longer allowed to use Yapstone. Like I would have continued using them? All in all I really do not like what VRBO has become.

Original review: April 7, 2018

VRBO is absolutely worthless. Searching for properties to rent in Nashville. Property 1 - Credit card declined, used another card, declined, Fiancee used her card and got an email of confirmation (wth)... then within the hour it got declined. Property 2 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay. Property 3 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay again! This is the epitome of absolute timewasting and mental frustration. SO, I use VRBO to find properties and then do a search on that particular property and book them through the property itself. It amazes me how a company like this can exist.

Original review: April 6, 2018 I have never written about a company before, but the level of rudeness and ineptness with VRBO's 'customer service' has caused me to write my first review.

Back in October 2017 we attempted to have reviews of our house transferred from one listing number to another listing number. This was the same house that we own but we were with a new rental agency and therefore wanted our old reviews to be transferred from the old listing to the new listing. Back in October we spoke with Louise in customer support and she took on our case, # **. We then set up 2 separate times to speak with her on the phone and both times she did not show up. We then followed up with emails and she stopped responding. At this point we gave up.

Fast forward to April 2018, I decided to give it another try. I called and spoke with one person in customer support and he told me the information I would need - the answer to the security question with our old listing agency and the answer to the security question with our new listing agency. I asked numerous time if this was all we needed and I was told over and over that this was the only information needed. I explained to this person how important it was that he was giving me the right information being that I had to go to a rental agency that we fired and ask for this information.

I then called back with the information I was told I needed to get and the next person I spoke to stated that he now needed to know different security questions. I explained again how I was just told that I only needed the one answer to the security question and he said he didn't know why I was told this information but they needed the information before they could proceed. He then asked me to see a deed to my house to prove that I owned it. I asked if there was anything else we could provide considering most people do not walk around with a deed to their house. He was extremely rude and condescending and I asked to speak to a manager. He would not let me speak to a manager and then proceeded to hang up on me.

I then called back for a 3rd time and immediately asked to speak to a manager because it was obvious that not only did the support was inept and could not answer my questions and did not feel responsible for getting the job done. Person 3 in customer support was named Johnny. Not only would he not get a manager, he also would not give me any other identifying information besides to tell me that his name was Johnny. I repeatedly stated I will only speak to a manager because the support services people could not help me and refused to do so. I eventually hung up more frustrated than I have ever been. There was no money involved, I was not asking to get access to listings, I was not trying to view private information - I simply wanted the reviews transferred from one listing to another.

I repeatedly provided the information that they asked for only to have them change their request when I would call back. I repeatedly asked for a manager only to be told No. I repeatedly asked for a staff identifying number and was repeatedly told no. I repeatedly set up meetings with these individuals and they repeatedly did not show up. I repeatedly emailed asking for help and they did not respond. And now they have raised their rates to $500/listing and are taking a percentage of each one of my rentals for "24 hour support"?

I have never dealt with a more inept, rude, condescending, absolutely zero ownership of responsibility company. I honestly wonder if they even have a management of customer support if that is the way staff are allowed to treat customers. There are obviously no consequences for these individuals if they are allowed to repeatedly not show up for meetings, not get problems resolved, drop the ball, not give a name or identifying staff number, not let a customer speak to management. I don't understand how a company can operate like this or how a 'support services' department can operate with absolutely no requirements to resolve customer issues.

They have gone downhill over the last year or two and every person I know who has to deal with them has many of the same issues. I really hope something can be done about their horrendous treatment of customers and unwillingness to resolve problems. VRBO - you have become synonymous with cable companies for your lack of customer support. Do something about it or you will go the way of cable companies that are now struggling to keep up with the Hulu's, Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime companies. We will not be treated like crap and keep coming back - you have competitors and more and more are showing up because people dislike your company more and more each day. Get it together or get out of the business!

Original review: April 6, 2018

My family and I have been using VRBO rental as a guest for over 10 years. I am so disgusted with the way all the attachment fees are almost double or the same amount of the rental cost! It’s making us guest impossible to stays and afford a vacation. There’s no way at all, it makes me sick to my stomach to tell my kids we no longer can afford to go to PCB Florida on spring break or holiday because the prices are jacked up to max our budget! It’s almost better to stay in roach motel and pile the kids in the same bed. Homeowners you can stick together and do something about these piracy! They are robbing you of quality guest and customers with your eyes wide open. There’s gotta be some law to step in and stop this.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have had a listing on VRBO for nearly 20 yrs. All was good, now with the HomeAway takeover NO customer service, non-English speaking reps that will lie instead of checking for the truthful answer. So frustrated, looking for another option.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We have owned a vacation rental property for over 10 years and listed primarily with VRBO. While we get good exposure and good renters we have seen VRBO doing more and more to get between us and our customers and charge excessive fees for bookings and refunds. We used to simply list our rental on VRBO and then close the arrangements and payments directly with renters. Online booking is now required. VRBO claims this is necessary to provide a smooth and “insured“ experience for the traveler. However it is really a thinly veiled move to gain control over the whole transaction and extract fees at every step including timely cancellations. We also pay an annual fee of $399 which should be sufficient compensation for our listing. As someone else said, customer service is scripted. I wouldn’t want to work there. Looking for better listing option recommendations. HomeToGo? Others?

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have used VRBO as a traveler and owner for years. The single most important feature to me - from both angles - is being able to communicate with the owner/traveler prior to booking. I don’t even mind the extra fees! As an owner, no longer being able to speak with my guests prior to booking is simply not acceptable. I have a significant investment that I need to protect. I am looking into alternatives for listing my home. So sad that they have ruined what was once a fabulous travel platform.

Original review: April 5, 2018

VRBO had a good thing going connecting owners and renters for vacation rentals. Now, they won't even reveal the contact info to each other. You're supposed to just blindly accept a renter if you're an owner. They forget that I have a significant investment. I'm NOT going to hand keys to someone I haven't screened. And renters have the same concerns. They don't want to just blindly walk into someplace. No more, there are options. Using hometogo.com. Renters can see everything (including VRBO) and make their own choices.

Original review: April 4, 2018

When looking for property in Naples’s Florida the number of listings actually available are far less than advertised. The time spent using VRBO could be better used dealing with a realtor. I found a property but not without days of aggravation. This business needs new and better management or another company will steal their business. Would love to see others enter this business.

Original review: April 4, 2018

The level of customer service is nearly non-existent at this company. Since the HomeAway merger, service has rapidly declined. As a property owner, they treat you as you're an inconvenience and are less than eager to help actually support or assist when issues arise. The communication is difficult, many Representatives have extremely heavy accents and very broken English (not to be judgmental, but this does make conducting business and communicating very difficult). Representatives are unknowledgeable and are unable to divert from their scripted roles. There is limited contact information or resources on the website, as it seems they are avoiding contact with their customers. For the fees they charge, this is unacceptable.

We tried to change bank accounts and the hoops they made us jump through - and with no guidance, instruction or explanation - was ridiculous. Incurred two days of wasted time. After two inept Representatives were unable to email me the information I had requested the first time, I asked to speak to a supervisor. Had to leave a message with the Rep. A member of their "resolution team" later called and left a voice message. He said "since I was unable to reach you, I will be closing this case." WHAT?

There was no resolution to my concern and never a chance to confer with the "supervisor". If you don't answer your phone, that's it, they tried, done. Spoke to them the following day and the man was rude, insulting and dismissive. He insisted they "did their due diligence but you didn't answer, ma'am." Unbelievably insulting and unprofessional. We will be doing our best to distance ourselves from this company and stop putting money in their pocket when they treat their customers like garbage.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Our family recently began a vacation with the expectation of staying in a VRBO rental house. On January 22, 2017, eleven months before our planned vacation was to begin, we had made the reservation for a six-night stay from December 25 to December 31, 2017. All payments were made on time, using VRBO’s website. We were looking forward to relaxing in our 5-bedroom, 4-bathroom house with a shared living space and enclosed heated pool, game room, and washer and dryer. With eight people, three families coming from two states, the space and amenities of the house we booked was what we needed to be comfortable.

As we began our drive to the airport on December 25, 2017, we sent a message to the owner, Steven **, requesting the door code, which had not yet arrived. To our horror, five minutes later we received no reply, but a cancellation of our reservation and the immediate refunding of all payments except for the required $99.00 insurance. Feeling sure it was a mistake, we tried to get in contact with the owner, to no avail. Remembering the protection that VRBO promised, we immediately called customer service. We explained to VRBO that we were traveling, had no access to computers, and an extremely full schedule including park tickets which have already been purchased and late dinner reservations.

We were relieved to hear that we would be put in a hotel for one night while a comparable house was found for us; that we wouldn’t have to worry about where we would stay while we enjoy our vacation. We were promised VRBO would take care of it. Once we arrived at airport, we called again to learn that VRBO was trying to put us into two rooms with a single King bed in each room. They were unable to find rooms with two beds each and we would have to accept the King beds and couch pullouts for six people nearly six feet tall, one seven-year-old and one average height person. After settling for four rooms with King beds for two nights, we accepted the conditions and boarded our flight.

We arrived at our destination, checked into our motel and anticipated our next day’s adventure. The next day came after a very sleepless night in hot, uncomfortable rooms with uncomfortable beds. We were spending our first day at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. With no news from VRBO regarding the rest of our stay, we called VRBO again. We spent 150 minutes, spread over 6 hours and nine calls, on the phone, each time starting over the process with a new representative as VRBO would not assign our case to a single representative. VRBO was unable to find accommodations, unable to find rooms with two beds each, unable to find another house.

The last representative we talked to on December 26th, around 4 pm, informed us that we were expected to find our own new rental house, contact the owner, watch for the reply, and so on, despite the promise the day before and no access or time for a computer. We learned there was no guarantee that we would get a rental. After 6 hours of Walt Disney time, trying to sort things out with VRBO, and with the verbal guarantee that we could find a hotel of our choosing and be reimbursed, we found a sleeping arrangement outside the desired area, more suitable than the motel.

We ended up spending more money than we originally would, driving twice the distance, and having to pay six tolls per day, and we did not get to spend our off-time together in a shared family space. Still, the accommodations we found would save VRBO money because we were able to get into three rooms with two beds each instead of being spread into four rooms with one real bed each.

Upon returning home, VRBO has informed us we didn’t follow their rules for getting our own accommodations. VRBO is denying us access to the Reimbursement Form. VRBO somehow expected us to have a computer while on vacation, for us to disregard what their representative guaranteed, for us to study their website, to follow every technicality, to receive a reimbursement for the hotel expense. Their recorded verbal instruction, which we followed, is not good enough to warrant a refund?

We now learn that VRBO expected us to get pre-approval from VRBO during peak season in Orlando, Florida before collected our bags at 11 pm, from the uncomfortable motel and moving to our personally reserved hotel with two beds per room. That would have been asking us to take the chance on VRBO’s services which were proving to be less than advertised. We could have lost our new hard-to-find reservations and be stranded without a place to sleep if we did not take care of the remainder of our stay in Orlando ourselves.

Our expectation is for VRBO to recognize that we followed their representative’s instructions, and to honor VRBO’s promise to reimburse our hotel expenses. They finally allowed us access to forms to file for reimbursement. It's been three months now since the horrible trip and VRBO has not followed up on the reimbursement. No more word from them. They also deleted my profile information and any proof that this happened to us.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Lake Las Vegas - 18 Luna review. Last year I stayed in Vierra for four weeks. I was moved at least five times so this year I thought I’d try Luna for five weeks this year. I work with a number of HOA’s so I know the drill. I want to start by saying that the owner (Victor) was great to work with. He always got back to me when I had a question. The unit was neat & clean with great lake views. I was very happy with this part of the stay & he did anything within his power. There were some issues that were totally out of the owner's control & are management/HOA issues that need to be fixed. I brought up a few issues to the front desk, they blew me off & they said there wasn’t anything they could do & to contact the management company. I contacted the Management Company but never got any results.

Barking dogs were an ongoing problem & many in the Luna building are upset. The worst dog was right next door. Dogs were allowed out on the balconies & anytime there was movement in the pool or someone outside the fence the dogs would start barking & wouldn’t quit. A few times there were at least four dogs barking at the same time in the East & West Luna building. I felt like I was living in a kennel & it was totally annoying. The fix seems pretty simple to me… Don’t allow the dogs on the balconies or put a bark collar on them or get rid of the dog if it’s a nuisance. Pool & hot tub: They were drained the last two weeks. We could use the pool across the bridge in Vierra but it was a long walk or you had to drive & park quite a ways away. I’m an old guy (73) & it was a difficult walk.

Towed cars: They hired a new towing company. Many cars got green tow tags & towed. I visited with a few owners & there wasn’t proper notification. One lady returned from being gone & was looking for her car. She was in tears & had no clue that a change was made & she had her old parking pass in the car. I had a parking pass only to find a green tow sticker & my parking pass was no good. I thought I was doing things right & this not only upset me but most everyone in Luna. Management/HOA screwed up & should be held accountable & should reimburse the owners for towing costs. I give the owner very high marks BUT I cannot recommend staying @ Luna or Vierra until management/HOA fix things. I paid full price for all the amenities & HOA/Management (Management Trust) fell way short. Again, this was out of the owner's control. VRBO Renters Insurance needs to help out here. Case ** needs resolution.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Renting your home out through VRBO and having damage occur at the hands of your renters is awful. Dealing with their insurance co is a nightmare. First be prepared provide original receipts. All you're going to get is 1500.00. After doing that you have to get the renter TO ADMIT THEY DAMAGED YOUR PROPERTY to the insurance co! What? Our renters burned our home down after checking in 6 hours earlier. They would not speak or return calls to any insurance company. Not ours, and not VRBO’s. All we expected was a mere $1500.00 but no, we were required to provide proof they burned our home down. Our house was gone and they didn’t want to pay $1500?? I got a letter from the fire dept with the renter's name on it. I got that $1500, VRBO and their Insurance co needs to do better by their customers. Homeowners beware.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been a homeowner member of VRBO website for numerous years. I was always 100% satisfied with VRBO rental website until they were bought out and revised the VRBO rental system. I own rental properties that require approval from the HOA and Property Management Company before I can rent. The new site allows travelers to book directly through the VRBO system and VRBO charges me extra for this service! I pay a high annual fee for VRBO website and now they charge me extra for bookings that aren't approved. I have had to reject several rental bookings because of this problem.

In the past, renters inquiring about my rentals properties had their information sent directly to me. After I explained the rental protocol to them, they had the option to rent or not. Unfortunately, the new VRBO site is awful for consumers seeking rentals and for the owners to communicate directly with potential renters. I have detailed as much of this information in my rental description to "contact me directly" before making a rental commitment, however, VRBO blocks my personal information until after the consumer commits or even pays on a credit card. Sadly, I will not be renewing my contract with them in the future.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am a property owner and have used VRBO for about 5 years with no issue until this past year! VRBO has taken away all control property owners have of renting out their homes. I prefer corresponding with guests and getting a rental agreement signed. VRBO does everything in their power to prevent this type of negotiation! Guests are expected to pay by CC and get charged a huge a service fee in addition to the fee they charge property owner. If they pay by credit card, we owners are charged 3-5%. If, instead of accepting a reservation request within 24 hours, I reply to the potential renter to answer their questions or give options, VRBO cancels the reservation request and HIDES MY PROPERTY even though I have paid for an annual contract!!! They won't even allow owners and renters to share contact information!!! WTH... I PAID THE ANNUAL FEE!!!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was charged more than the advertised price and reached out to VRBO. However, they provided very little assistance and told me that I need to deal with the owner directly. Will never recommend or use VRBO again. The customer service rep Chris was sarcastic in his emails and no help.

Original review: March 30, 2018

VRBO tells you on their site that they are there to help you in any way they can. Apparently this means consistently giving misinformation, maintaining a system that makes it impossible for new owners to take over an existing listing (thus losing any reviews), apologizing for misinformation but doing absolutely nothing whatsoever to help resolve the situation. I took over a property with great reviews. I was told I'd be able to transfer reviews: turns out: not possible. A booking made with previous owner occurred after I took over the property. I was told I'd be able to get the review for this: turns out: not possible.

Reviews are one of the prime ways rankings are done on VRBO. So in effect, VRBO are penalizing me for purchasing a property because they give me no access to previous reviews. I have a listing with no reviews (the property previously had 5* reviews) and have had tenants in for a month who are now unable to leave me a review, because the booking was made a year ago, before I purchased the property. When I rang the "resolution center" they just told me over and over - "I'm sorry you were given the wrong information but we're not going to do anything to help you out, even though you're in this situation because of the information we gave you." What kind of "resolution" is that? Unbelievably inconsiderate customer service. What a completely terrible organization. When I told them, "Well in that case I'm closing my account at VRBO." The guy just said, "Well you have to do what you have to do." Incredible!!! I am moving to AirBnB.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I found a place on VRBO/HomeAway and requested a reservation for a period to the owner. My request was accepted and I paid through my credit card the full amount of the rental immediately. The very next day I received an email cancelling my reservation. I emailed the owner to find out why he had cancelled by reservation. He emailed back that he had looked at his 2019 calendar by mistake - the time was opened - but then checked his 2018 calendar the time I have reserved and discovered that lo and behold the time in 2018 was already rented.

Shortly thereafter I received a credit on my credit card for an amount less that had been initially charged to it. I emailed the owner to find out why I didn't get my full amount back. After all, through no fault of my own my reservation had been cancelled by him due to his mistake. On further examination I determine that the smaller amount of the credit was due to the service fee the VRBO had charged me for the reservation. Thus began a four month effort to recovered from VRBO the service fee. Many phone calls, referrals to another department, repetitions galore of the reservation number, amounts involved, case number to refer to the next representative, "yes, you will get the credit in 2 to 4 weeks" ad nauseam.

The latest email tells me the following: "I do apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced using our site. I reviewed the reservation HA-3WPJSN and found that all the payments were refunded. If you need further assistance with payment status you could contact Vacation Rent Payment to 877-228-3657. If you need assistance with account related questions, feel free to contact customer care to 877-228-3657."

Well, my credit card records no credit of the service charge. No one has told me that I am not entitled to it. To the contrary I have been told essentially "the check is in the mail!" I called the number in the email and it was answered by someone selling health insurance. Perhaps VRBO in its charity thinks I might need mental health coverage. After the treatment by them I do! I have never experienced such a run-around, confusing, time consuming, insulting treatment at the hands of a service company. The amount at issue is slightly over $100. I am now swallowing principle and giving up. VRBO's bottom line will be enhanced by that amount owed to me - as profit and not as it should be an account payable. But I will not again use HomeAway or VRBO.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I rented a house for a week in Pembroke Lines, Florida during Thanksgiving 2017. The property manager/owner of the property refused to give me back my $500 damage deposit. I also paid a cleaning fee. I left the property spotless and took pictures of the entire house before I checked out. The owner/property manager said she had to keep my $500 deposit because the stove was scratched (normal wear & tear of a stove top... I didn't even cook there!) and a small tear in the fabric of on of the headboards (not vacant to the naked eye... In the pictures I took before check-out it can be seen that there was no damage).

I called VRBO and filed a complaint. I also sent them pictures and asked them to investigate the property manager/owner for fraud. I believe they used my deposit for needed repairs in their house. VRBO told me there was nothing they could do because all disputes are between the renter and property manager/owner of the property. They did nothing when I rented through them! I will never use VRBO again and if I need to rent a property I will go with AirBNB, a much better company.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Expedia's purchase of VRBO has taken away all control property owners have of renting out their homes. Guests were very upset to see they were charged a service fee in addition to the fee they charge property owner (which they don't tell property owners). I can request payment be made by e-check provided I have an annual contract, however if the renter chooses credit card, I am charged 3-5%. If instead of accepting a reservation request within 24 hours, I reply to the potential renter with a question VRBO cancels the reservation and HIDES MY PROPERTY even though I have paid for an annual contract. As others have noted, their website is a disaster to navigate, especially since the latest updates. They apparently think everyone is illiterate so they have removed writing everywhere they can, giving you the luxury of spending time unnecessarily trying to figure out what stands for what.

They never bother to update their instructions. For example, their update deleted my changeover days. The help instructions for finding and editing a changeover day are for the old website. Changing rates etc are equally difficult. Every time I use the site I'm worried I will have a coronary... It looks nice but is completely impractical. And yes, they now force you to process payment through their 3rd party processing center which has a name that a 3rd grader would think was cool, and conditions that are about 15 pages long and extremely onerous. Again very poorly written. All I can say is lord I hope my house sells soon so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

I will never ever make my travel plans through Expedia again. Their new market maker function for owners is worthless. For example my property is waterfront. It compares my house with loads of other property of similar dimensions that are not waterfront. So the comparison is worthless. They will help you over the phone and most empathize with your frustrations. If you get someone who isn't helpful, hang up and call back. Expedia should be ashamed of what they've done to what was once an ok company.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I renting a vacation property off this site and was charged a service fee by the company for utilizing their services only to get to the property and it not be at all what was advertised. After contacting customer service for assistance I was basically told it's nothing they can do about it as it isn't their property. I am beyond disgusted as not only are they scamming by charging a fee for service or guarantee they don't provide, but they allow these property owners to also scam you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Their website booked my credit card for 8 separate charges when I tried to book a vacation home. In each instance my card was charged and then I was told the property(s) were unavailable. I had nearly $3000 in pending charges!! I called the booking support number who told me to call billing who said they could not help me who then told me to call my bank. I would have entered a receipt on this complaint but they never issue one. Now I am getting emails about completing leases that aren't even available. I can't even resolve this with my bank since the charges are still pending. This company is ridiculous. Poor customer service, ineffective procedures, an uninformed off-shored staff. Stay away from this website!!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am a homeowner who rents out their vacation home privately and on several booking sites. I was previously signed up with VRBO and decided to reactivate my listing with them; I secured three bookings for March. I set up my preferred payment methods with them, and later realized this was not for me to receive payment, but to send payments to them if desired; they still had an old bank account on file for me, in which my first payment was rejected by the bank. As soon as I realized this, I submitted the required bank change form and provided a voided check, because you are not provided an option to update the information through your account on their site. I assumed it would not take long to change out the account information when I noticed a couple of days passed with no change I called them.

The customer service line does not provide any assistance, they take your complaint and tell you that they will send an e-mail to Account Management. After two days, I sent an e-mail to HomeAway Payments at YapStone, since there were no updates to my account or a response. I did receive a prompt response from an Account Management representative that indicated the process is completed manually after there is a bank rejection, in which the update has to go through "many" different departments, and processing could take anywhere from 3 to 14 business days from the date of the change. They did offer to expedite my disbursement once it was processed. The very next day I received another response indicating that my bank account change request was rejected because of information received from GIACT Services LLC. There was no indication of how I would receive my payments for the reservations or other options provided.

I again contacted them at the number they provided, to be told again that an e-mail would be sent to Account Management. I told the representative that this was unacceptable, and asked was there anyone else I could speak to, they told me there was not and that they could only send an e-mail to Account Management. So, I have sent another message inquiring about my options to receive payment; which I am sure will be another week or so before I get a response. I read another review from January of this year, where another homeowner waited two months before she received her payment. I work with other booking sites and have never gone through anything like this before. I feel like I am getting the runaround, while the three weeks of bookings reserved in my home have gone unpaid; their customer service and payment processing are unacceptable.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Everything I have read about the new VRBO platform is scary, but true. They are trying to scare guests into booking and paying directly through them (at a high price) by offering a "guarantee" that they can't even provide. Only the homeowner knows 100% if the property is available, what the correct price is, if the home meets their guests' needs, if their dog is allowed, etc. Our homes are not hotel rooms and guests shouldn't be forced to book sight unseen without open & private communications with the owners or property managers. I used to love VRBO, was happy to pay their yearly fee, and have gotten 99% of my guests through them for years. No more! I am going to try other sites like HomeEscape that has the old VRBO model.

Consumers should use VRBO and these large conglomerate booking sites to find a property they like and then just search the internet to locate the owner, property name or property website - super easy!! OR, like I will be doing in the future, contacting a local real estate rental office directly. Please be aware - after I told a guest that I didn't charge additional booking fees and that they could find more photos at the property website, VRBO suspended my listing saying I had "violated" their terms. I didn't know they had done that until weeks later when all inquiries stopped coming in. They monitor ALL emails that go through their site!! VRBO used to mean Vacation Rental By Owner - what a farce - there is no more "Owner" allowed in their new platform. If any other property owners can recommend another good site to list my property on, I am all ears.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I used VRBO to advertise my property for 15 years and was very satisfied. As of this past year they have taken control of my home. I am not allowed to talk to my clients before renting. I can no longer accept checks or PayPal. My clients are charged an extra fee that amounts to hundreds of dollars. If they rented from my other site they would save hundreds of dollars. As a homeowner I find VRBO to be totally lacking in ethics. If you are looking to rent find any way possible to locate the property on other sites. Most owners have their own website, do a search and contact the owner directly and save hundreds of dollars.

VRBO.com Company Information