3.15/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Discover a great timeshare now

1819 VRBO.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Owner misrepresented property. Total nightmare. VRBO treated me like a criminal because they misrepresented property. I mean they are rude. They protect owners no matter what! I called and told them I would never do business with them again! Owner accused all kinds of things. It was all a lie! They sided with the owner! I GUESS IT'S A MONEY THING!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I tried booking a vacation home and requested agent remove a $300 fee. The agent did not respond to my request and just booked the vacation home. I canceled the reservation immediately but Agent is only willing to refund half my deposit of $1500. VRBO was completely useless in communication with the agent. I would not recommend working with VRBO to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I booked 2 vacation rentals at the same apartment in Italy for June, 2019 (booked in Dec 2018). I paid about 1/2 of the rent as a deposit. I received an email from VRBO about 6 weeks before the rental saying my reservation was cancelled as the property agent had gone bankrupt and I could file a claim in Spain if I wanted to (I live in Canada). Nice! I was under the mistaken impression that since the payment goes thru VRBO the money is held, providing some protection for the renter against unscrupulous renting agents - not the case.

I called VRBO and they said they would look into what they could do to help - did not even call me back or email me. No help whatsoever. I rebooked with Booking.com and will never use VRBO again. Note: when I booked the apartment, it was strange that no detailed address was given - it would be provided later. I wonder if the apartment even existed?? Not clear that VRBO does anything to protect the customer from this. Bad business practice.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I rented through VRBO because I believed them to be reputable regarding payment transactions. I paid the security deposit for a rental property followed a few weeks later by the final payment amount - I was paid in full. Then I received an email from the property management agent saying that Massachusetts instituted a new tax law requiring I pay an additional $360 for the week's rental. VRBO as well as the managing agent had known that this tax was required PRIOR to my signing the contract & paying the deposit. I was not informed that an additional charge would be required nor was I allowed to cancel the reservation with a full refund of money (I would have lost 50%).

I understand that the rates for the property were set prior to Massachusetts instituting this law, however, again, VRBO KNEW the charge would be required prior to when I booked the property. Although the property itself was very nice I will not book with VRBO again because I can't be assured that being paid in full will be honored.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Terrible experience! Sat on hold for 26 mins to book. They charged my card 8 times for over $4500! Never sent me a confirmation email! Spelled my email wrong! Employees can’t spell! Couldn’t adjust the rates per the owner of the rental! Made me cancel the entire booking after pretending they couldn't find my booking because they can’t spell my email address! Long wait times. Dumber than dumb employees. Worst company ever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Wife and I rented a cabin in Gatlinburg TN for our twenty second anniversary. It was not as advertised. The first picture in the ad showed a pool with a waterfall. When we got there the waterfall did not work. There was a Keurig coffee maker so we went out and bought K-Cups for morning coffee. That did not work. The ad states there is an air hockey game, dart game and a pool table. Air hockey only scored on one side. The darts did not stick to the board. One of the cue sticks had no tip. The ad states about a Jacuzzi. Went to use it and there was scum on the back side. Ad show recliner and leather couch. They were old that when you sat in them you sank hard to get out. The mattress was old. Could fell some springs. Also bugs were inside. Not many but they were there.

The owner said he did not know about some of the stuff. He did know that the waterfall was not working but did not tell us before we got there. In fact he was not even in the US when we rented the place. ON VRBO website it said you can ask the owner questions. The guy they had listed there don't think he owns it. It ruined our anniversary and think this guy could care less. The listing number is 1223464. I would not recommend this place.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I rented a vacation condo from VRBO in the South Lake Tahoe area. There were eight people all in their seventies and eighties and we looked at the rooms and found that one bed (double bed) was OVER 40 inches tall. The other people with me were older than myself and wife, so we took that room. We bought a step stool and found that it was inadequate for us to get on the bed. I felt as though I was in danger sleeping on that tall ** bed, so we decided to sleep on the living room floor.

The next morning I had extreme back pain (my wife also experienced pain in her back) and could not move very well. I ended up spending the WHOLE five days in the condo, because of the pain. This situation RUINED my vacation and that for my wife. I am VERY unhappy with my rental and I expect a partial refund from VRBO, because I have now paid OVER $200 for treatment for my back and the treatment is NOT over, so there will be additional charges for medical treatment! I am NOT happy with this situation and may seek advise from a lawyer!! I spent an exorbitant amount for that condo and I received a ruined vacation!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

This Summer I decided to use VRBO/HomeAway to rent our Beach House down the shore. I will never use this service again!!! First of all, a Homeowner does not receive any payment... any payment! until the Renters check in the home. Renters check in on a Saturday, payment is not received until Wednesday. Meanwhile, deposits and payments were made by Renter months priors in some cases. AS far as Customer Service Support you will stay on hold for a very long time & the general attitude of support is "Oh Well, there's nothing we can do."

Secondly, there are hidden charges everywhere!!! Service Fees, then Credit Card charges. They make it very simple for them to receive payments and encourage you to do Instant Booking. Thirdly, there is nothing that protects you!! My property pictures and descriptions word for word was shared on Craigslist by someone else, advertising the property as theirs and requesting half the money. VRBO told me there is nothing they can do because the pictures are public on the internet!!! I suggested watermarking the pictures so it can be used somewhere else. I will never, ever use this service again!!! They are crooks!!!!

Original review: July 29, 2019

I searched and found 2 homes to rent for a girls get together on VRBO. The first quote was $1084 for a week that included all fees and the other was $800 including all fees. On both rental requests the owners replied that the published rates were incorrect. The $1084 price quote became $2200 plus fees and the $800 quote became $1800. This company needs to correct the rates quoted or the owners need to honor them as published.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We have used VRBO before without issues. This time we are renting a condo with '5 star hosts.' After booking, we are informed that our total has gone up $26.00. After contacting the hosts we got a story that VRBO increased a fee that was meant for a different property. We were refunded $25. The deposit is nonrefundable. We are still dealing with the hosts and keep getting different stories pertaining to the overcharge. A vacation we thought was booked and going to be wonderful with 5 star hosts, is turning into a time suck and disappointment for a time that should be calming and fun. We can't recommend VRBO.

VRBO.com Company Information