VRBO.com

• 1%
  • 2%
  • 96%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VRBO.com?

Reviewed July 12, 2024

I had a pretty bad experience with my recent booking, both with the residence itself as well as the booking process. I was sent an email asking to review my stay. I am familiar with the Federal Trade Commission's Customer Review Fairness Act so I made sure to stay factual and accurate, but still rated it 1/5 stars. I received a subsequent email stating "Your review needs some work. Thank you for submitting your review. Unfortunately, it needs a little bit of work before we can post it to our site." It then prompted me to review the VRBO guidelines to ensure I am within company protocol. After chatting with a VRBO customer service representative, he confirmed I did not violate company guidelines and was unsure why VRBO rejected my review. The review has yet to be posted.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed July 11, 2024

We were double booked at four different VRBOs in one week. VRBO itself can't issue a refund and it has to come through the host. A fight each time. A complete scam of a service, will never use again and will be telling everyone I know to stay far away. Total crap.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 11, 2024

My family and I traveled to Puerto Rico for a 2 week vacation. We booked our home 2 months in advance. When we arrived we could not find the house. It kept directing us to a field. We finally stopped and got something to eat and called customer service because we knew by that point it was a scam. Customer service put us in a dirty hotel with bugs and leaking ceilings for ONE night. Lied and said the hotel was fully booked so all 6 stayed in a 2 bed room. But the hotel had 7 rooms available. Called them the next morning and they kept hanging up. Never tried to find us a new house or even give us a refund. We were stranded in our car. We finally the bank to cancel and get a refund and booked through Airbnb. I will never use Vrbo again. The non existent house was almost $3,000!

Reviewed July 9, 2024

I am appalled by the horrible customer service VRBO provided after the apartment I stayed in was burglarized while I was inside. Not only was I left stranded but VRBO requested a police report and then refused to provide a full refund for the lost days.

Reviewed July 8, 2024

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH VRBO. I REPEAT, DO NOT BOOK THROUGH VRBO. The host misrepresented the property. The entire building reeked of smoke, and there were drug users and homeless people IN the hallways of my rented apartment. The host was largely unresponsive, and was of no help. Neither was Vrbo customer support. In fact, it is the WORST I have ever seen in my life. They put you on hold for what seems to be FOREVER, keep transferring you to other departments, the line will often drop, and they do not have a good record keeping system, so you have explain yourself OVER AND OVER AGAIN. They do not appear to be based in the US/Canada and all sound robotic as if they are reading from a script.

They stated that a refund was at the discretion of the host, and they couldn't do ANYTHING to make things right. Essentially no protection for the guest WHATSOEVER. Anyone can simply make a listing, post devious pictures and misrepresent the fact, and we're basically at their mercy. You can send pictures, videos and testimony to no avail. I've now lost over $600 to this misadventure. NEVER AGAIN. If you must, please, ONLY use Airbnb.

Price

Reviewed July 8, 2024

The location was fine. But I should of done my due diligence to find another way to book the location. VRBO charges either a protection cost of $59 or $1500 refundable deposit that they hold for as long as possible. My guess is they are doing a float and investing your money while they hold it. Because there is no way in heck you will get your refund in a timely manner.

Reviewed July 7, 2024

I highly recommend not using VRBO for any rentals. Booked a condo for next year, and made the requested deposit which was deducted from my account a few minutes later. Notified by the Host there was a mistake by VRBO in the rental fees and an additional $1,000 was required to book the unit. I then called VRBO and was informed it was the Host's responsibility to enter the rates. After being on hold by VRBO for most of the afternoon with no satisfaction, I cancelled the reservation and was informed the money would be in my account in 7-10 business days. Host informed me money would be in my account the same day as the cancellation. STAY CLEAR of RENTING a PROPERTY through VRBO.

Reviewed July 6, 2024

Property ID 3915983 Is not a property. It is a service to find you hotel rooms. This is fine, however the pictures and locations are deliberately misleading. The photos are from resorts around the world, not the local hotels. I think Vrbo is aware of this, as they have no way to easily submit this type of information to customer service. Be careful if you use Vrbo and stay away from Jodi & Lenny for property 3915983.

Reviewed July 6, 2024

VRBO uses a service called Evolve to manage properties. This is the seller's choice of course. We booked a trip and paid over $600 for it and three nights before our trip I was in the hospital with a chemical burn. I reached out to the host to see if they would allow cancellation. She said yes but evolve was managing her place. I reached out to evolve and they said as long as the host was okay with it. I reached back to the host and asked if they could call her. They spoke on the phone and I was told I would get the credit.

2 months later I go to book a VRBO and I have no credit. I get evolve on the phone and they say they don't know what happened but it is there...(it is not there). Then she said I would need to book over the phone to apply the credit. She said she could help me but after 10 minutes of trying to find the listing she said it must be a VRBO listing. (WHAT???) Then she said I would need to call VRBO and have them find it and then call her back to apply the credit. I have booked so many trips on VRBO and the bigger they get the worse their service is. This is the last trip there. I will sleep in a rental car with dogs and kids before I use VRBO again.

Reviewed July 6, 2024

VRBO refused to refund my service fee of $203 for a legitimate cancellation. All they do is keep asking for more information via no reply emails you can not respond to. A horrible experience with no regard for customers other than using nice words.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 6, 2024

My wife and I booked through VRBO and we're sent to a house managed by Vacasa. We got there and the house was gorgeous but not at all cleanly. It was rated 5 stars on VRBO so we were extremely grossed out to find ant traps all around the house and dead ants ON THE BED! We called and got a refund through Vacasa after trying to plan our whole vacation around this new situation in the drop of a hat but we were never refunded the $72 VRBO fee. VRBO stated that it wasn't cancelled initially on Vacasa's end and they could not contact Vacasa to confirm. Then we were told we needed to send a bank statement with proof of purchase. When we contacted Vacasa to try to send them proof of purchase we were told they already provided proof of purchase and cancellation and that VRBO should have had access to all of this information. We're still dealing with this a month later and have to look into disputing it with the bank.

Reviewed July 5, 2024

I am just so disappointed in VRBO. We attempted to book a vacation to Toronto to celebrate our dad’s 80th birthday. We are all in our 60s and 70s. We had never used VRBO before and we were told that we would receive an email confirmation and had to wait 24 hours. We did so but never did receive an email. Nowhere did it tell us we had to go back to the original VRBO account so we booked another one on Airbnb. This was around the end of May.

After Picking up the mail and receiving a credit card statement, I see that I have been billed for this property in its entirety the very day that I attempted to set it. Since we already had another property with Airbnb, who had sent us 12 emails in fact through confirmation payment receipts information, we contacted VRBO to cancel this property and we told that it was up to the host discretion who wanted to keep 50% of our deposit. When we explained that we had never received an email, had never received a receipt over email that money had been taken Billeaud virtually did nothing.

I spent three hours two days in a row on the phone with VRBO who spouts trust spouts that it is safe to rent with them, but they offer their clients protection from host seniors on fixed incomes and VRBO and the host even though we were 24 to 36 hours over our 100% cancellation time they refused to help us anytime I would ask them and say so are you honestly telling us that VRBO offers us no protection because if you looked at my account, the person had sent us on the account a confirmation, but there was no contact from us. There was no contact further from him, and it just felt like somebody who was scamming us waiting for the time to run out, we’re just so disappointed and so disheartened to be taken advantage of seniors not only by a host, but by VRBO who offers us no protection whatsoever

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 5, 2024

I booked my stay in Richmond, B.C., Canada at least 4 months ago. I arrived today and found out that I was not able to contact the host. I spent at least 2 hours texting with 2 persons working for Vrbo trying to resolve the problem. That was a waste of time. Then I spent another 2 hours talking to and trying to resolve my problem.

The Vrbo employee on the phone tried to help us with no avail. Leslie was her name. She could not get her own resolution team to get back to her. After the long conversation with her while I was waiting in my car at a parking facility, she finally told me to get my own stay for the night and hopefully someone with the resolution team will call me tomorrow. I was left to find a hotel room the last minute. It was expensive stay for one night because most hotel rooms were sold out. Furthermore, Vrbo has not help me in any way to resolve my stay. Vrbo ruined my vacation! I hope that by writing this review, at least you will not be the next victim.

Reviewed July 4, 2024

I rented a home through VRBO and they told me my payment would be processed June 29. The guest paid them on June 19. The guest have come and gone. We're very happy. Left a good review and a sweet note. I have still not been paid by VRBO. I have contacted their customer service 4 times. No results. Some of their representatives can barely conduct a conversation in English. They just repeat scripted talking points over and over. They now say they cannot begin to process payment for 30 days. In listing my house with VRBO this was never disclosed. They were paid by the guest and will not release my payment to me. Customer service refuses to help.

Reviewed July 4, 2024

Still waiting for a $6000 refund from VRBO due to a fraudulent listing. This is a scam of a company. We booked a 7 night stay in Amsterdam back in April. The property manager emailed me the day before our flight and cancelled our stay due to a "flood" in the building. They assured us they would refund the whole amount. They sent us several statements saying the refund was made but the money never arrived in our bank account. We have called VRBO at least 12 times in the last two months to escalate the case because prior to booking the rental, I called VRBO twice to get verification that the listing was legit. They told me to go ahead and wire the money to the owner and that it would be covered under VRBO's refund/cancellation policy.

It has been 3 months now and there has been no refund. Each time I call customer service they tell me that the refund has been made. But the money never makes it into our account. VRBO then tells me that the case has been escalated to the "guarantee team". Yet there is no way of getting in touch with anyone on the team. The customer service agent has no clue what is going on and the resolution team manager tells me that the guarantee team has it and will get back to me. I've never received a call back from anyone on the guarantee team. I've never received an e-mail from the guarantee team. As far as I'm concerned, the guarantee team does not exist. There is no way to talk to anyone above the resolution team manager. VRBO has admitted that it was a fraudulent listing and the listing has been taken down since. However, VRBO does not have our back. They are "using" customers to find fraudulent listings. There is zero protection.

James

Hi M,
    We've had an almost identical experience.
    Was your apartment managed by Grand Stay BV?
    We've filed a police report. If there are enough complaints, the police might be able to do something about it.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 4, 2024

They charge a service fee for customer support, yet they offer no support. I had multiple issues with my property and they only offer the host's phone number, which I was given at the time of the reservation. I will be using AirBnB.

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I have been on the phone for two hours due to a communal use of the private property I was to rent. My children and I are stuck on an island with no hotels and I can’t same day change to another Vrbo.com location. This has been the trip from hell and I’ve had no help from Vrbo moving us to another available property on the island. They’re telling me I have to wait a day to try again and they’re not offering to simply refund my money. Instead, they’ll cover my future costs…if I can find something (but what do I do about tonight on an island with no hotels????). Never will I ever use Vrbo again and I’ll be sure to share this experience with everyone.

Sales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 3, 2024

Wanted to start with Vrbo will also not refund me. They said they pulled down the fake listing but it’s still able to be booked online. It was first time booking with Vrbo and it was a scam. The address we were given was to a vacation rental office, not a house so it was hard to get a hold of anyone since we arrived late in the evening, not to mention hard to find in general. Turned out that the office does not have any properties associated with VRBO and we had nowhere to stay by the time we’re figured this out at 2 am.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Be aware! VRBO and Expedia are scammers! I booked a hotel room at Flamingo in Las Vegas through Expedia.com because of the lower price, but I didn’t know it was a scam until I was trying to check in at the front desk, the staffs at the front desk told me my reservation was cancelled, I called Vrbo, they said the host cancelled it because they were not able to charge my credit card (they lied), my credit card has no problem, because Vrbo was able to charge $20 service fee and all my other purchases as well.

Prior to my check in, no one has informed me about my credit card nor cancellation! I spend six hours in the hotel lobby trying to get in, I called Vrbo many times at the hotel, but no one was able to help me out! So I have to stay at other hotel instead. On the second day, I contacted Vrbo for refund, but they said the host didn’t cancel my reservation in their system, so they are not able to issue refund to me! Someone in the consumer affairs department need to stop Vrbo from scamming customers please!!!

Reviewed July 2, 2024

The worst customer service. We booked a house and the house owner asked to cancel the reservation and pay directly outside of VRBO. Then asked us to meet in different locations to pay indirectly. We contacted Vrbo to get our money back as we did not feel safe and this seemed like a scam since the owner told us to meet for keys and then provided us a key code. Not to mention the owner was contacting us outside of Vrbo. Vrbo stated the case has been escalated and investigated. We could not speak with a supervisor because of “availability” and was told the case would take 24 hours to resolve. We had to call back 6 times and reconfirm details each time. One agent told us “to give it time” even though we are supposed to check in the following day. Finally we spoke to a supervisor and still no resolution.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

I have rented from Vrbo.com many times. Never had an issue until now. I rented a home for a vacation and upon arrival we noticed the ac was not working. We were in Arizona in July. AC is really important. The host after hours of contact offered to refund me so I could try to find somewhere else. I continued to contact vrb and was told to just keep waiting they would TRY to accommodate me. I was told by another representative to just wait it out when the house was over 90 degrees inside and they knew I had an elderly person with me. I finally was told just to book a hotel. I found one that had 3 rooms available. I called vrbo again today since I still had not been contacted and told I should have stayed and not booked a hotel. The customer service or lack thereof is ridiculous and to be told so many different things with no resolution and talked down to and hung up on I definitely will not use vrbo again.

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Wow what can I say. I had 2 non-responsive hosts on the same trip! We were a family of 5 traveling from the US to Greece and got stranded in a heat wave with nowhere to go. VRBO does absolutely zero vetting of the property owners and makes no apologies for it, I know firsthand. They fed me a company line of there are millions of properties they list and cannot vet most of them. I can agree with that somewhat. But once VRBO sends out a booking confirmation and receives payment, to me they take responsibility for the confirmation. I understand most of this is automated. They could just as easily send the property owner an email stating they have a rental potential and for them to confirm the property is available prior to accepting payment and providing a booking confirmation to the renter. Horrible company and horrible service. Stay away at all costs.

Reviewed June 29, 2024

I am on the hold with VRBO and still waiting for a manager I requested. The agent who picked up the call was just plain chatter. The home I stayed in was great, very clean and a responsive host. My low rating is about US taxes withheld for stay days reduced timely. I changed my reservation on time for a shorter stay. The host returned my rental without the taxes that was charged. I contacted VRBO customer service to find out "we do not return taxes once paid" (unheard of in any business). I asked for a supervisor and waited for 35 minutes before the call dropped. Stay tuned.

Customer ServiceStaffProcess

Reviewed June 29, 2024

We booked a 2 night stay at a cottage in Ontario though VRBO. A day before our check in we contacted the host to ask if we can do a late check-out. When we reached out the host told us that they can’t host us and our reservation request “landed in their spam folder” therefore they didn’t see it. It was less than 24 hours before the booking so naturally I panicked and called vrbo. The customer representative told me that he will have the “rebooking team” contact me through email with a new property with the same amenities. This is where the lies started. Everyone that works there is a complete liar, and their job is literally to lie to you over and over.

After a few hours of no contact I called them again, I explained to them that I had kids and they were looking forward to a weekend getaway and I was worried we weren’t going to be able to find a place (it was Canada Day long weekend). Once again the customer service rep said not to worry and they will get us a new property to stay in. This process repeated itself about 4 times. I talked to 4 different people. They all told me the same thing. I talked to an online representative who also gave me the same story.

It was now 8pm on Friday night and I made my last plea to another representative, I told him to please just tell me if they can’t help me and I will promptly book another cottage myself for the weekend. This representative told me just to wait until tomorrow morning and everything will be resolved, he continued to say that there is a department called “traveler care team” that take care of bookings on the spot but the issue has to be dealt with the day of your booking, therefore I had to wait until Saturday which was the next day. I trusted him and the 4 other representatives that assured me we will have a cottage for the weekend.

The next morning upon not receiving any emails I called the call center once again, after 45 minutes on hold I got a hold of the “traveler care team” and they told me they can’t book me a place because their site doesn’t allow same day bookings!!! I explained to the rep that I was on the phone dealing with this issue for 7 hours the previous day and everyone I talked to told me that you will be able to give me a place and she simply said “I’m sorry you were given misinformation, I’m giving you the correct one now”. So everyone I talked to KNEW that I wasn’t going to get a cottage, they simply stalled.

The worst part is now I can’t book anything and my family just has to stay home. The care agent told me she can give us a hotel for ONE night, the hotel was a in city hotel with no lake in sight, the cottage we booked was a lake front. I obviously declined. I can’t believe this company is training their agents to lie to you over and over. Why couldn’t they be honest and just tell me to find another place? Do not book from this site.

Reviewed June 28, 2024

Worst ever! Don't ever purchase the Generali travel ins because you don't get refunded! VRBO and Generali are horrible! Spent 300 and had to cancel he ce buying the policy but they kept my 300 plus the purchase price for Generali travel insurance!

Reviewed June 28, 2024

I recently rented from VRBO, and the host changed the address from a nice area in Chicago to a very dangerous area in south Chicago. Then, when I spoke with customer service, they said that because the change of location was only 2.5 miles away, that it was a permissible change, and that I wouldn't get a refund for this obvious bait and switch.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed June 28, 2024

I have been using VRBO.com for 20+ years all over the world! This has been the first time, my experience was a complete let down. It is clear that the merge with Hotels.com has been a disaster!!! It turns out that VRBO sub contracted my vacation lease to a third party...this was nowhere to be seen on their website or App. I hesitantly went along with this and paid in full, as required well ahead of arrival. Note that I made the arrangements over 6 weeks ahead since this was a special occasion and it was a relatively large group. On the morning of our arrival I received an email and text from the third party 'Secondhomerv.com' that the house was NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! And that they were sending us to the only other large rental that could accommodate my party for the dates agreed upon.

I contacted VRBO several times during the day to try to resolve it with them...as the responsible party. VRBO customer service was a disaster with only further third party Indian people answering that could resolve nothing and were unable / unwilling to transfer me to someone from VRBO USA that could assist. We were left having to deal with the third party 'secondhomevr.com' who stated that this was a common occurance and giving me the only option of the alternate property or a refund. With my entire large party, including two cars full of groceries, toddlers and kids, I had no choice but to stay at the alternate property. This is TERRIBLE from VRBO who even asked me to provide a rev. Date of arrival - June 20, 2024 Reservation ID #**.

Reviewed June 28, 2024

I rental but after a saw the building. I canceled but they never return my money. Never used this website. On the listing never show the outside property. It’s was awful. Bad customer service. Nobody would do anything.

Price

Reviewed June 28, 2024

VRBO cancelled my planned reservation to a property in Kelowna after charging my credit card well in advance of my planned stay. That screwed up my planned travel .. Now, I do not know how long it will take to refund my money back ... This is a total mess, when you are planning for travel, and that property was not cheap at all. NEVER AGAIN.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed June 26, 2024

Property not as advertised. Rotting food and garbage on back patio, old Q-tips on floor (not to mention dirt, food scraps, garbage and ANTS everywhere). Advised host it was disgusting and not acceptable to us and that we were locking and leaving. Had to make alternate arrangements at a very high cost. Host refused refund. Vrbo Customer Support not helpful despite us sending pictures and our communications with the host. Complete fail. Will NEVER use Vrbo/Expedia again. Have had wonderful experiences with AirBnB across Canada.

VRBO.com Company Information