Get Pricing

2. Background Check Companies

4.4/5 (289 ratings)

About TruthFinder

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

Pros

• Unlimited reports
  • Mobile app
  • Detailed reports

Cons

• Must buy full month
  • No trial period

Bottom Line

TruthFinder customers pay a fee to receive detailed reports with a person’s contact information, social media profiles, education, jobs, possible associates and more.

Top TruthFinder Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Verified

Truthfinder was very helpful in solving questions about a few persons of interest that I have been dealing with for a long time. I find Truth Finder to be very accurate in their d...

Verified

This is a great way to find old school friends that you lose contact with. Truthfinder is user friendly and a quick way to locate anyone. Would use this again. I would recommend t...

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of TruthFinder and does not offer background check services. Per the TruthFinder terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. TruthFinder does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is TruthFinder?

TruthFinder is a search tool and background check service that lets you find nearly anyone in the U.S. by name, address, phone number or email address.

You can use the service to reconnect with family and friends or to view a person’s criminal history. You can also run a report on yourself if you want to see what information is available about you online. You cannot use the platform to screen employees, domestic workers, tenants or people who provide professional services, including tutors or doctors.

TruthFinder searches millions of public records and social network data across the United States and compiles all the information into one report. The report includes items like:

• Birth and death records
  • Possible relatives
  • Possible associates, friends, roommates or former romantic partners
  • Detailed location information (current and former addresses)
  • Contact information
  • Education and jobs
  • Social media profiles and dating profiles
  • Assets, including owned properties and driven vehicles
  • Criminal history, arrest reports and traffic records

Pulling a report on TruthFinder is anonymous, so no one will be notified when you perform a search or request a report for a particular person. The company has a free mobile app available in the Apple App Store or Google Play so you can make searches on the go.

TruthFinder cost

Requesting and receiving reports on TruthFinder requires a membership.

A one-month plan with TruthFinder costs around $28 per month. This fee lets users request unlimited standard background checks. Members can save money by purchasing a two-month plan for $46. TruthFinder does not allow customers to pay for a single report, and you must call the company’s member care department to cancel your membership.

TruthFinder FAQ

Is TruthFinder free?
No, currently there isn’t a free version or free trial of TruthFinder. Most reputable background check services are not free.
How far does TruthFinder go back?
Results vary by person, but some reports go as far back as 15 years.
Can you do a background check with a phone number?
Yes. Through the company’s reverse phone lookup feature, you can search a phone number and receive relevant background information, including name, social media profiles, possible email addresses and locations.
Is TruthFinder accurate?
Yes. The more information you can provide, though, the more accurate your results are likely to be.
How do I cancel my TruthFinder account?
To terminate service, users must call the TruthFinder member care department.

Is TruthFinder legitimate?

TruthFinder is a great tool for connecting long-lost family members or friends, but the company charges a monthly fee and requires you to call the member care department to cancel. As long as the product isn’t used for malicious purposes, it’s a helpful resource that lets you find family, friends or former colleagues. We recommend TruthFinder for its extensive reports, accuracy and affordable pricing.

TruthFinder Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruthFinder?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: June 21, 2021

My experience has been great. Everyone I have tried to find no problem. The information was correct telephone number to records to relatives and friends. Your information can be depended upon. Great job. I have one friend that I hadn’t seen in over 30 years. Because the Truthfinder I was able to find him. I got his number, call him up and even told him stuff about himself. It was funny. He wanted to how I got this information and now we’re in touch again after 30 years. I feel like just about anyone that I’m searching for all my old friends can be reached again through Truthfinder.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I haven't even read the first report and already I'm thrilled! Hi there, I just signed up for the 2 month deal & before I pushed the button I decided I'm going to do one month at a time so I go back and all of a sudden I see the only option I had when I went back was to do the $7 trial plus a higher amount monthly charge now and then I noticed there's a $399 downloadable fee 399 + 31 cents and I thought that was per report so I decided to just stop Dee and call.

So I called your customer service and I got a young gentleman named Joey and he was very helpful. Wanted to you know just go through the process and I told him and he fixed it and he says, "Well yeah. It is a little bit less when you first do it. How about if we do it for $16.95. I said what that'd be fantastic. So he made it $16.95 and I'd be paying the trial and the downloadable feature that you have was for all reports just one time fee of $399 plus $0.31 tax and I thought that was great. That was fabulous so I am leaving a great review for Joey and for Truthfinder overall because I I just think that's so nice to just refreshing to have a little discount once in awhile instead of always getting gouged. I appreciate it and I'm think I'm going to enjoy it a lot. Thank you. Dolores C.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I recently had a long distance death in the family and needed to contact both family and long lost friends. I signed up for Truthfinder service and began my search. I found many of family and friends from 50 years ago. When I no longer had a need for this service I contacted them to terminate service and auto withdrawal from my account. When the customer service rep heard what I used the service for and that I hadn't used it in over two months he was kind enough to refund the fee and terminate my service. I can only say that is was indeed nice of him and I will use them again if ever the need arises.

Original review: March 17, 2021

In the last two days, I have spoken to three different billing customer service reps. Due to my bank's mistake. On Tues., 03/16/21 spoke with Darien?, On Wens., 03/17/21, spoke with Dylan#** and Tanner#**. All three were very helpful, and although I was a bit frustrated due to my bank's mistake, all three were very patient with me. I also would like to thank Truthfinder for having a domestic based customer service. It's nice to be able to speak to people that I can understand. Unlike so many other companies today. BRAVO to all three young men, may they all have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2021! And thanks for upgrading my Truthfinder account and with a less expensive rate! Keep up the great work!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I found the page helpful. Due to health issues, I don’t have the time to use it like I thought I could. When it came time to cancel, because I’m on a tight budget being disabled, I decided to call and my experience was more pleasant than I ever could have hoped for. “Shalease” was the agent who helped me. She listened when I spoke, she was genuine, caring and most importantly, she was courteous with her knowledge. She didn’t sound the least bit condescending. (Many customer service reps tend to talk down to their customers when they are extremely knowledgeable in their department.) I was so thankful for her pleasant demeanor and her kind-heartedness was the cherry on top of my customer service experience cake. (A lot of the friendly agents out there sound as though they’re fake and trying too hard. It’s obvious and makes the conversation highly uncomfortable when this happens.)

She has a caring, understanding and comforting disposition. That very characteristic about her made my experience so very wonderful. Her professional, yet still relatable demeanor combined with a very efficient execution of performing the tasks I requested her to do made what could have been a highly uncomfortable telephone conversation turn out to be a pleasant experience. I hung up the phone feeling both relieved as well as elated. Thank you for the wonderful service today. You should get a raise! (In case you get to see these reviews, which I hope you do, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID!)

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

It was very easy to look for the people I wanted to find. I looked up over twenty friends that I had lost contact with. I will use TruthFinder again in the future. It was very easy to sign up and get started. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I was looking for a specific piece of info in my search, the latest address for someone, and the report did not include that. I canceled my subscription since I did not find the info I needed. I'm not sure I'll try Truthfinder again since I'm disappointed with the results.

TruthFinder response

Hi Sara,

We understand how frustrating it can be when you cannot find the information that you were looking for. We work really hard to provide relevant and useful information to our users. Sometimes, however, there may be incorrect or inaccurate data that we receive from our sources. If there’s anything we can do to better your experience, please let us know!

Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The information obtained was 75% true with some faults names and addresses. I also felt it was not as thorough as I expected it to be. However I did use it and would pay that first month but I do not want it any longer.

TruthFinder response

Hi Marjorie,

We understand how frustrating it can be when you cannot find all of the information that you were looking for. We work really hard to provide relevant and useful information to our users. Sometimes, however, there may be incorrect or inaccurate data that we receive from our sources. If there’s anything we can do to better your experience, please let us know!

Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Raven was polite, great natured and efficient in helping me cancel my account and reviewing recent charges. I really appreciate her adroit and responsive service. You should reward her well and promote her! Great on you hiring such a great agent, who keeps true your promise of having a “friendly US. Based Member Care Center”. I will do business again with TruthFinder if I need to because of her attitude and professionalism. Thanks much.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Using TruthFinder I managed to find this lady which is fantastic. I had the 'travel log' of her journey aboard the cargo ship 'Holbrook', she was one of many brides making that journey. I cannot praise their services highly enough, I can honestly highly recommend them..

TruthFinder Company Information