2. Background Check Companies

TruthFinder

TruthFinder
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.48/5

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

TruthFinder customers pay a fee to receive detailed reports with a person’s contact information, social media profiles, education, jobs, possible associates and more.

PROS

• Unlimited reports
  • Mobile app
  • Detailed reports

CONS

• Must buy full month
  • No trial period

Top TruthFinder Reviews We Found

Truthfinder was very helpful in solving questions about a few persons of interest that I have been dealing with for a long time. I find Truth Finder to be very accurate in their descriptions of the individuals ... helping me keep myself safe from Scams and Fraud in my every day dealings.

This is a great way to find old school friends that you lose contact with. Truthfinder is user friendly and a quick way to locate anyone. Would use this again. I would recommend this to family and friends if they wanted to locate someone they have lost contact with.

TruthFinder Get Pricing
ConsumerAffairs operates independent of TruthFinder and does not offer background check services. Per the TruthFinder terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. TruthFinder does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is TruthFinder?

TruthFinder is a search tool and background check service that lets you find nearly anyone in the U.S. by name, address, phone number or email address.

You can use the service to reconnect with family and friends or to view a person’s criminal history. You can also run a report on yourself if you want to see what information is available about you online. You cannot use the platform to screen employees, domestic workers, tenants or people who provide professional services, including tutors or doctors.

TruthFinder searches millions of public records and social network data across the United States and compiles all the information into one report. The report includes items like:

• Birth and death records
  • Possible relatives
  • Possible associates, friends, roommates or former romantic partners
  • Detailed location information (current and former addresses)
  • Contact information
  • Education and jobs
  • Social media profiles and dating profiles
  • Assets, including owned properties and driven vehicles
  • Criminal history, arrest reports and traffic records

Pulling a report on TruthFinder is anonymous, so no one will be notified when you perform a search or request a report for a particular person. The company has a free mobile app available in the Apple App Store or Google Play so you can make searches on the go.

TruthFinder cost

Requesting and receiving reports on TruthFinder requires a membership.

A one-month plan with TruthFinder costs around $28 per month. This fee lets users request unlimited standard background checks. Members can save money by purchasing a two-month plan for $46. TruthFinder does not allow customers to pay for a single report, and you must call the company’s member care department to cancel your membership.

TruthFinder FAQ

Is TruthFinder free?
No, currently there isn’t a free version or free trial of TruthFinder. Most reputable background check services are not free.
How far does TruthFinder go back?
Results vary by person, but some reports go as far back as 15 years.
Can you do a background check with a phone number?
Yes. Through the company’s reverse phone lookup feature, you can search a phone number and receive relevant background information, including name, social media profiles, possible email addresses and locations.
Is TruthFinder accurate?
Yes. The more information you can provide, though, the more accurate your results are likely to be.
How do I cancel my TruthFinder account?
To terminate service, users must call the TruthFinder member care department.

Is TruthFinder legitimate?

TruthFinder is a great tool for connecting long-lost family members or friends, but the company charges a monthly fee and requires you to call the member care department to cancel. As long as the product isn’t used for malicious purposes, it’s a helpful resource that lets you find family, friends or former colleagues. We recommend TruthFinder for its extensive reports, accuracy and affordable pricing.

TruthFinder Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 15, 2020

I canceled this service because I no longer needed it. My wife had dementia and would sometimes get online to order something or get trapped in a scam. She had a big heart and I had to be sure she was not harmed nor our limited finances. After I checked on what she did, I would run a background check, previously by another company, but found TruthFinder dug a little deeper. One way or the other, not going into details here, I would cancel what she had done and the next day she would remember nothing and we would set the next round of events. She just recently died and I am now continuing to clean up. With her gone, I no longer need this type of service. She was my little red Ferrari racing down the highway of life and I was the 18 Wheeler closing her back door. I still have a few doors to close. Thank you for the service and many thanks to the agent who handled this call.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I am generally satisfied with the service provided by TruthFinder. However, I keep getting emails from TruthFinder that are addressed to Andrew (and not Robert), as was the case with the email that linked to this review. What happened was that when I first signed up for the service a number of years ago, and had entered my late grandfather's name as the first person's record I wanted to search, I was subsequently prompted with a checkbox labeled "This is me". I did not think it was referencing the person I wanted to search, but rather asking me if I was who I said I was in my account information... like an "I am not a robot" feature. So I checked the box to indicate that yes, this was me. Since then, the emails I've been receiving from TruthFinder have been addressing me as Andrew (my grandfather's name).

I also began receiving -- and continue to receive -- unwanted emails from other companies that apparently get their information from TruthFinder soliciting my purchase of their products or services and also addressing me as Andrew. I really wish this problem can be corrected so that I am correctly addressed as Robert in the future.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I had problems with my bank account and a credit card account, within a 45 day time period, that had fraudulent charges, on both. My bank took care of everything, but I had to have new cards issued, contacting creditors to give them my new debit card and new credit card information. It was very cumbersome. After going through this, I opened an account with Truthfinder. They were recommended by Care Credit. It took a bit to input all of the information they wanted, but it was worth it. I received various detailed reports giving good and some information, that could be fraudulent. They were great over the next couple of months, sending me email notification of any new updated data.

Unfortunately, I had a medical situation come up, that caused me to have to temporarily freeze my account for an undetermined amount of time. The office at Truthfinder, were extremely understanding, and told me that my file would be there if I wished to reopen it in the near future. I would recommend Truthfinder to anyone trying to compile their personal and financial data, while keeping it safe and secure. Thank You, Mimmaw.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I tried Truthfinder because I’d seen some reviews that said they had an inexpensive low cost trial option. I went thru the signup option, kept waiting for a screen to tell me of trial offer or at least what monthly charge would be. I went through PayPal since usually Paypal tells you what charge you are putting on your CC, but I never got a screen telling how much I had been charged. Found out after looking at account that my charge was $27 for first month and that telephone info was an additional charge. Tried to cancel online but cancellation process just put me in a loop that never gave me option to cancel. Long story short, called a customer service rep and was able to get charged reversed even though that is not policy to do so. Was given an all access option at half the going rate so I’ll try it for a month to see how it goes. This background check industry seems to be a big racket but at least this companies CSR tried to make it right.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Mary. This woman was able to use her bank to take money from my PayPal account. I was interested whether she had a criminal record. I was wishing that would show up at the beginning of the report. Also, the report did not show any type of problems with credit. She is a very rich woman living in Southern California and knows how to take money out of other people's accounts. It looks like you don't do anything with credit reports. So TruthFinder seems limited as to that area..

However, your history of her moves is interesting. One fact that really opened up my eyes is that she pays $5,000.00 a month on her mortgage. It did help me to know that she is rich. Now PayPal is working with her taking money out of my account through her credit cards that she used in initially paying me but then took the money out through her bank. PayPal found that my charges for editing for her were very creditable. So knowing through your report of her financial situation did really help.

TruthFinder response
    That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly over the phone.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: June 26, 2020

I was very satisfied with your service and I was able to access the information I needed. I would recommend this service to anyone who needs information quickly and anonymously. The best part of the service was I had the information almost immediately.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Received very good service today. Understand now how to copy files before who you are searching can erase them. Also offered plan that better meets my needs.

This service is so needed today especially for single, widowed person. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: June 25, 2020

I didn't realize it would become a subscription but thought it would be a one time search for one person that I was trying to locate and find out information for my Aunt's estate lawyer so it turned out to be way more than I needed after I got that information. I didn't realize I would continue to be billed.

TruthFinder response
    We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I'm so pleased with my service. I had the hardest time searching for information on a specific person and with TruthFinder I found all the information that I needed within minutes. I recommended TruthFinder to anyone having a hard time finding important information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 23, 2020

I looked up my family just for fun. First off BOTH my parents are deceased. I am NOT listed on either parents as a child. Everyone of their ex Daughter in laws are listed as children of theirs. I am beyond angry being the only female child. I am DIVORCED. Yet I am listed as still married to my second ex. And owning HIS house. I own nothing. This owning his home alone could get me in big trouble and being listed as married (it did really as I have had to PROVE my divorce). There was much more that is listed that was many years old. I really can not understand how hard it would be to remove old information. People can not be married to two at once nor can they live in two states at once. Loads wrong.

TruthFinder response
    We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Company Information