2.97/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 22, 2018

33 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2018

I really like TruthFinder. I volunteer for an organization that sends condolence packets to the recently bereaved. Often I can't find the addy for relatives without TruthFinder. It has really helped me to reach out to those who are hurting.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Receiving reports - Most times easy, sometimes keeps saying email already in use and ask to change my password, won't let me in though it is me trying to use it. Today this happened numerous times but now appears I can so hope so since haven't finished this session and called was told will receive a callback and never did.

Hi Sandra,

We apologize that you had a hard time logging into your account. We will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Sad so many of the phone numbers don't work anymore. I wish it would show the name that is associated with the number, not just a group of numbers. When I call them, some people say they are a relative and I was embarrassed when I didn't know their name. But happy for some address numbers.

Original review: April 17, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS DISREPUTABLE COMPANY. This site promised to confirm military status of a person searched. I agreed to a one time search. First, there was absolutely NO information on the site of this nature. To add insult to injury, I see a recurring charge on my bank account. There was no way online to "cancel" my membership -- the membership I never signed up for. I called them, they agreed to credit me the amount but the person on the phone did NOT inspire confidence. I arranged with my bank to put a stop on any possible future charges. I also noticed a marked increase in the amount of spam I received.

Hi Patricia,

We apologize you did not find the information you were looking for in our reports. We do not provide military status, but we do provide some military records when it is available.

We also apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. Our Billing Terms are conspicuously explained on this page and in our Terms of Use. Additionally, all of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site.

If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service department at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This site is horrible, and not much of the information is truthful. This site had me listed as having a warrant out for my arrest in California (not a good place to be wanted)... So I called Orange County, California to find out why I had a warrant out for my arrest... it turns out that California had NO CLUE why they put this on their webpage, and in fact had never heard of this site. Also I know my father has passed away... a few years ago, this site has him alive and with a new address 4 years after his passing. It also listed several people as my "associates" when in fact I have no idea who these people are at all. This site is a BAD idea and has nothing but misinformation and lies. I canceled my account with them and had my information deleted, too bad companies like this are allowed to spread so many lies.

Hi Don,

We're sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in our reports. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 11, 2018

They market that you can cancel at any time, but good luck trying to do it. They do not send reminder emails, they just charge your account and hope you don't notice they are charging you. They might as well steal your credit card. Don't sign-up for this service; it's a money grab.

Hi Mike,

All of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site. Our customer support number can be found on our customers' bank statements in case our customers have any questions regarding the TruthFinder charges on their account.

Customers can cancel at any time by calling our customer support line, contacting us via email or mail, or through their TruthFinder account.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 8, 2018

I signed up with Truthfinder after reading in the local paper that it was the only way to get my name off public records. I was concerned about my privacy. I signed up for "1 month of Unlimited Reports". No explanation of "1 month of Unlimited Reports" appeared so, like any reasonable person, I assumed that 1 month meant 1 month. Boy was I wrong. I was billed for 16 months of membership before I caught it on my credit card statement. Their billing practices are incredibly deceptive. I spoke with someone at Truthfinder today and they are giving me a 12 month refund. I doubt that they would make this type of refund if they didn't already know that their billing practices are unscrupulous.

Hi Cindy,

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. Our Billing Terms are conspicuously explained on this page and in our Terms of Use. Additionally, all of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2018

I put my own name in and it generated a list of my family as well as a long list of people I've never even heard of. Some of the people that I had heard of are not my relatives. I didn't go any further because I can't trust the information. I wouldn't use this site to look up information on anyone else knowing mine was so incorrect.

Hi Jeanne,

We apologize that you were unhappy with the information found on our site. The information included in our background reports is gathered from numerous public sources. We do not create or add to the information we obtain. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but occasionally some data just isn’t available to us or may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 1, 2018

Simply put, it's BS. Spam, fishing, nonsense. They "Truthfinder" absolutely try to bait you into paying for the "details" of their inaccurate records. It's safe to say that I know the truth about myself and my historical information. They claim to have multiple arrest records about me in their so called background checks. I'm sure some fools get nervous, thinking that there's some truth to this but c'mon folks, it's nonsense. I've never been arrested! If they don't have accurate Information about me then how could I trust that they have accurate info about anyone else.

Hi Julia,

Thank you for your feedback. The information included in our background reports is gathered from numerous public sources. We do not create or add to the information we obtain. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but occasionally some data just isn’t available to us or may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. For this reason we always identify criminal records as being more or less likely to be associated with the specific person a user is searching for. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2018

I made the mistake of clicking on their ad and submitting my info assuming I would audit what info is out there on me. What I got was threatening and inaccurate scam cycle! I did find myself but funny how they have added frightening and wholly invalid things... Says I have 2 arrest records? I'm pretty sure that as a mother of 3 I would remember if I had EVER been arrested! Now, as I will not give them a dime to see this sensationalistic **, I am now caught in their nasty cycle of spam with this garbage listed and spam in my inbox all the time. How can this company get away with these non-factual scare tactics to sell their BS reports??

Hi Annette,

We apologize for any confusion that you may have experienced with our policies. We do collect personal information such as name, address, and email address. When a customer enters in this information and clicks “Continue”, they agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

All users have the choice to unsubscribe from promotional materials from us or our marketing partners by unsubscribing themselves or contacting us at help@truthfinder.com. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I used Truthfinder to search the web for info on myself. Some of it was relevant to me, most of it was old or inconsequential, but the most disturbing thing was all the SPAM mail I started receiving the next day. I have never gotten much spam, but now I receive about 30 – 50 spam mails a day. The annoyance is not worth the $27 I paid for minimal information.

Hi Capp,

Original review: March 20, 2018

Highly disappointed with tactics. I stopped short of the process as they keep asking you “are you sure you want to know”? I decided I didn’t. Now I’m flooded with sexually explicit emails and all other sorts of crap. I’m very upset.

Hi Michele,

Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: March 12, 2018

Charged $27.78 for one month for information that was incorrect. The information on the file was not up to date, was incorrect and had combined information for two people. Would not recommend using this site unless you don't need updated info. Found it very pricey for useless data.

Hi Diana,

I’m sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Resolution response: March 9, 2018

Although I didn't get the results I was looking for, the member care team at Truthfinder was very helpful in resolving my issues by giving me a refund.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had already done my own research, and wanted to make sure I checked for every piece of information I could get, so I tried Truthfinder. Everything it listed on Truthfinder, I had already found on free websites. Would not recommend this at all.

Hi Amy,

We understand how frustrating it is when you can't find the information you were looking for. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but some states and counties do not release their records to the public which sometimes impacts the quality of our data. We apologize and will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I did a search of myself and within 2 days I began receiving sexually explicit SPAM and solicitations in the email many times a day. Apart from the fact that the information presented was largely inaccurate, the SPAM is really really annoying. DON'T DO IT!!! All the accurate information was available through public record (clearly it would take a lot more time to track that down on my own). Only 2 of the 20 associates mentioned were accurate. The many listed family members were other people related to someone with the same name as mine. Interestingly it did not list my brother at all. My parents were listed, but I had been prompted to chose their names before the report was finished. Watch out for automatic renewal: be sure to cancel the service. This is not worth the trouble - BEWARE - your email will be compromised.

Hi Kim,

We’re sorry for any confusion that you may have experienced with our policies. We do collect personal information such as name, address, and email address. When a customer enters in this information and clicks “Continue”, they agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. All users have the choice to unsubscribe from promotional materials from us or our marketing partners by unsubscribing themselves or contacting us at help@truthfinder.com. We have removed your information from our email marketing list. Please allow at least 10 days for the email advertisements to cease.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Got a report 82 pages long that was 99% fluff information. Actual information relative to person I was researching could maybe be on two pages at most. Had list of possible associates that were useless. Also had listings of past and current neighbors and local sex offenders from addresses where person never resided. More useless information. My opinion is that this is a ripoff. Not worth the cost. Buyer beware!

Hi Bill,

I apologize you were unhappy with the information found in your report. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, and we hate to hear that our service wasn't what you were expecting. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I liked that they made the site very easy to use and to navigate through. I was in a time crunch and needed to get the most accurate background check that I could and the site helps for people who don't know how to get around computers too well. My overall experience was great.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

In one place you can find a lot a lot of useful information about a person that would have taken you a very long time to try to put together yourself. The website was user-friendly and speedy. You got your data back quickly, where some other sites wanted you to wait for days. A premium report option is available if you want to be very thorough. It was impressive when you first logged in to see that Truthfinder has been recommended by CNET and Huffington Post. The site is easy to use in desktop or mobile mode. You don't need a lot of training and instructions to get started. The site is also very intuitive and you can jump right in and get the information you need. Our company successfully used the site to assist some employees who knew they had records but didn't know specific details in order to complete paperwork for a government contract. This site helped us find out what we needed to know quickly and easily.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

This site combines millions of different information from public records and creates a report. You can search for people and get real information on them by doing a background check. You can try this site for $1.00 then you can pay by the month or every few months. It's affordable and easy to use. But I would make the trial completely free for the first 5 days, or even the first search for free. This site should be more transparent about the charges because spending a lot of time on a website and then being asked for more money is frustrating. This site should not use the word free at all because people get mad when they find out that it is not free.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was looking up family information and this site was Falsely advertising as a free service by them and others online. It was also very slow service that I couldn't bypass and it spammed my email multiple times a day the weeks after attempting to use their services as well. And I was never able to finish the check because it popped up with a charge in the last steps after the fact of waiting around for hours. Don't waste your time with any of these service sites.

Hi Audrey,

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. TruthFinder compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. But we have to pay to access those sources. We also have to pay our expert developers to turn that data into background reports that are easy for you to read and understand. We provide all of the billing details before a customer chooses to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I found the Truthfinder website easy to use and understand. I really like the way the website is set up. Maybe make it more personalized to each individual and what their needs are for the website. But the overall look of the website was appealing and not overwhelming. I was able to efficiently perform the tasks I needed to. The information I received was correct, helpful and very useful as well. It was easy to find all the information I needed and I was able to find everything quickly without any problems.

Hi Amanda,

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback. We're happy to hear that our website was easy to use and that you found the information you were looking for. Thank you for the high rating!

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Truthfinder is easy to navigate and many tools make it easy to narrow down all possible relevant matches to the person you're searching for. The colors chosen for the text are easy to read. But you don't get all the information you think you'll get when you sign on and it costs more. Therefore I would look at other services. Some may reveal more information than this one. Also the "good" information costs extra to view. This seems like a ripoff when you've already paid to use the site. If the signup fee isn't all you pay for it's not made clear. But it has been a bit since I've logged on so hopefully this has changed.

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We have made a recent change to our service that we think you will really like! If you sign up with a new subscription, we now include that extended data search in every report without the additional fee. If this is something that you're interested in taking advantage of, please let us know and we can reach out to you to assist you in signing back up.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I can find out my background as well as others. It is a convenient tool to have when I need to check a background on a person I just met. And I like to check my background just to make sure it shows up correctly. Although sometimes it gets complicated to use and I don't like how much it cost to use. It could be a little bit cheaper and I wish it had a free trial. I could find most of the information I was looking for but not all but that could be because I don't fully understand how to use the site. But overall I like it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Irritating yet complete. It finally did give results. It was easy to follow the direction step by step and easy to fill out the information they requested. I was also somewhat surprised by the detailed information they gave about the first and I was looking for his family members or contacts. Made you pay so you finally got the answers. Rigs you and by giving you a taste of what they offer until you're so curious as to what they found out that you end up paying. I wish they would have just been straight up and told me how much it was going to cost and I would have gladly paid instead of being irritated and having to wait till the end of their teasing. But you need to be sure that it will give you the information about while you're looking for that person.

Hi Becs,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize for any frustrations you had with our site, but we are glad to know that you were able to find detailed information on the people you were searching for. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Ran background checks on personal, criminal, personal media, family members, private. Wanted to be assured that my search would remain private, that individual a relative would not know that I had searched. This was a Family member I lost contact with and had hopes of reuniting with. However, I would prefer to pay a one time search fee only. When I thought I had purchased a one time fee only apparently I had assumed the responsibility for an automatic renewal which I did not want as I could only afford a one time fee only. Overall a quick access to info needed and I could watch as various areas were ran.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I like the packages and plans that come with the upgrade deals, with lots of customizable options to search unlimited times in a Prepaid block of time. I also really like the feature which allows you to save your previous reports in an archive that makes updating reports very organized and easy to sift through. But prices are a little too much for package deals, relative to the market for this exact product - Truthfinder asks for slightly more than the competing sites popping up every day. This prevents me from long term commitment to the site/brand.

I also find the way they hook people by claiming to have loads of data, specific to the user search and they hold the info hostage until you pay. Then you find a disappointingly low amount of actual useful information, at least half of the time. They dangle reports in front of the user as a tempting treat, but they often are withholding the fact that nothing is in the report. Truthfinder is as good as any of the sites, but it is a mediocre result when you already are a paying member. I like to know I am getting a good value for my money. I am not made to feel loyalty due to the competitive market for this type of background check.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The site was helpful and didn't take long after I've already paid. Detailed answers were provided and it gave me extra information I didn't really need to have. Also the design or layout of the site was easy to navigate and appealing. However, they should offer a certain number of searches for the price instead of on a monthly basis since most people do not search a lot all at once. Quite expensive to use just once. I don't use background checks that often so to pay for a membership on a monthly basis makes no sense for me. They also did take quite a while acting as if it took so long to attain the information where other sites pull it right up without having to wait. They also need to show more information to ensure that you're selecting the correct person that you're searching for.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

The Truthfinder website is very easy, so it's available for just about anyone to use. With my past experience, I have been able to find the information I was looking for, a quick and easy process without having to search aimlessly. It has super reasonable prices for the info you are able to obtain too. But I would change the prices because, even though the prices now are reasonable, everyone likes saving money and wouldn't hesitate to dropping prices. Other than that I would recommend Truthfinder. The site was made super simple so anyone can do it from the comfort of their own home. All you need to do is simply fill out the little bit of info they ask for.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

The best thing about this site was that it was simple to use and it didn't have any hidden information or extra things that you needed. I didn't have any major issues but just a little bit of bumps on the road. I liked the website and it was better than a few others I tried. It got the job done but there were a few things that could be better. It could have had less pages and not as many pop ups. If I were to tell my friends about this website there would be a few good things and a few bad things. It was easy but not the best.

Hi Rayanna,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're happy to hear you were able to find what you were looking for, and we apologize for any bumps along the way. We will reach out to you privately to help resolve any issues you may have had with our service.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It has everything available as far as traffic incidents and criminal charges. It gives you information on family that is associated with the individual as well but it is slow and sometimes takes a while to find what you need. Another issue I noticed was that it sometimes shows the same person on the list in a few different areas so I wondered if one has different information than the other even though they are the Same individual.

Truthfinder expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs