2.84/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

300 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Not all was accurate. My name don't have a letter A in my middle name it's **. I know 2 people who was arrested for robbery and both have no records on here. Can be dangerous for dating sites. Notice am being secretly charged. Some are accurate with 20 year old phone numbers. Not all phone numbers show up.

Hi Ronald,

We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Some Judgements, civil liens etc, are slow to update on the platform. Still remains the best jumping off point for information gathering initial information. A suggestion would be to allow, if your legal team could clear the way, to aggregate from state police & local police arrest records (arrests not convictions). I find this to be the most laking information. I understand laws vary from state to state, however I have been able to access infomation freely through many state and local agencies. Keep up the good work, love the platform and look forward to future updates. P.S. I appreciate the experian connection "dark web" monitoring. I would make availible to your members, known data breaches as some bins, repositories, etc. obfuscate information to deter the evolving "dark web" crawlers.

Hi David,

We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback as it allows us to continue to improve our service. We are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible for our reports.

We want to invite you to check out our blog, where you can find more information on data breaches and the dark web. For example, we recently posted this article that we feel you might be interested in: https://www.truthfinder.com/infomania/dark-web/netflix-hulu-hbo-data-breach/.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I found AKAs that mean watches bank accounts and found connected to my mom's address and perpetrator's family name in her neighborhood too. Found more now. Using to figure out a serious matter that may be connected to my family's personal serious matters where lack of evidence prevented any police intervention. So seeking diligently it may really help me with a better idea of stalkers that may be involved in other more serious illegal activity as I alleged. Emails that mean the same as bank accounts. It is very serious because my family were victims too of bank crimes and it involves them too. I had separate matter and it is now looking like it could be same parties that are much worse criminals so I gave to my former ATF agent tenant and he gives to police. It is good start and he has some jurisdiction too.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been living outside the US for 15 years and lost track of many friends and relatives. This year is the 50th year reunion of my Medical School class and there will be a special program. I used Truthfinder and other programs to locate many classmates. The format of the program is easy to use. There's a lot of data on real estate and addresses of neighbors that would be helpful for real estate agents and "skip tracers" that work for collection agencies. There is very little data from public records of professional licenses. Truthfinder seems only to have pilot licenses and hunting licenses. It was much easier to use another search engine and enter a name and MD to find classmates. Every State has a database of licensed doctors, nurses, dentists, architects, real estate agents, etc. that could be integrated into the Truthfinder search engine.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear our service was able to help you locate some of your classmates for your upcoming 50th reunion. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your positive review.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have absolutely loved all my experiences with Truthfinder's background checks!!! These reports are so very thorough that even when I have tried other background checks to see if I can find out new information on someone that I have not seen elsewhere... Namely, my deceased mother by 11 years who my aunt, stole everything from and kept for herself and didn't distribute to my brother and I, the only two beneficiaries, I can't find any new information. When I purchase other background checks, they don't tell me any information that Truthfinder's premium background checks has not already informed me of.

I absolutely love you guys!!! I have purchased background checks from probably 5 different sites. You guys are the BEST, most thorough, out of all of them and I highly recommend "You" guys to any and all of my friends for whom I discuss information regarding background checks with! Keep up the good work!!! Thank you very much in advance!!! I am a very satisfied and happy customer!!!

Hi Jillian,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We appreciate your positive feedback and high rating. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Most of the info you have given me is up to date and I have always enjoyed talking to your staff which was only once but your associate was very helpful. Thanks for the service!!!! What else can I say? You are great!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I did a personal background check just to check for accuracy which costs $27.95. All the information can be found online and the accuracy was off on many items. I would think twice about spending your money with Truthfinder.

Truthfinder response

We’re sorry to hear you weren’t satisfied with our reports. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but sometimes we are limited to what our data providers give us. We apologize and will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 10, 2019

I first put in the name of one of my children to review the accuracy of the information. It lead me to others and I looked up myself. I was flabbergasted. I’m very disappointed because they are advertising you can find out facts about people and it’s simply not true. You are also associated with people you don’t know. They also had my grandson who was born in 1995 paroled in 1969! You have no idea what these people are like and what does that say about you? I have learned my lesson. Do not believe what people post about you even if you pay for it.

Truthfinder response

We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We have issued you a full refund. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.

Original review: May 10, 2019

BEWARE-the information you may glean is neither accurate nor complete. And once this company has your credit card they will continue to charge their overpriced fee every month, even when you cancel the service.

Truthfinder response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

I took the plunge to try and locate an old school mate with Truthfinder. I looked up my own name and some other friends and family and the info was highly inaccurate. Everything that they show on your report is very easily found on social media, court case records and tax records, and those can all be used for free. This is not an in-depth search by any means and for 28$ a month I would expect more. Never did locate my friend and what info I did find was false... I want a refund and I want this lousy bogus product off my credit card. If I get charged again this month I will look into a lawsuit for false advertising and fraud.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2019

I've never heard of my "relatives" listed on here. The phone number is from the mid-1990's. I did not purchase so who knows what flat out lies are on here that may belong to someone else's "public record". For this reason I requested to opt-out.

Truthfinder response

We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Original review: May 1, 2019

The opt out option has never once sent a confirmation email. After submitting it multiple times on different days the only thing to come into my email is sex spam. The email was set up specifically to opt out of this site. Right above the opt-out selection on the website says: "Once you click the "Confirm Opt Out" button inside the email you receive, we will begin processing your Opt Out request which can take up to 48 hours. Any email address submitted with this request is ONLY used for the confirmation email." Blatant lies.

Hello,

We apologize that you didn't receive an opt-out email. You also have the option to opt-out via email and phone. Send an email to help@truthfinder.com and include the name and address you wish to opt-out. Alternatively, call our Customer Care department on (800) 699-8081.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This thing does not tell you anything new, draws wildly inaccurate assumptions, and is a complete joke. Let me just remind whomever may read this: THEY GO OFF PUBLIC INFORMATION ONLY, WHICH IS SOMETHING YOU CAN GET YOURSELF FOR FREE. They also charge EXTRA for any possibly useful information such as telephone numbers and email addresses. Save yourself the money and just do a little digging all by your onesies.

Hi Jess,

We apologize that you were unhappy with the information you found in a report.

TruthFinder assembles public records into one easy-to-read report. We do not create or modify the information that we are provided. When you pay for a TruthFinder report, you're paying to access multiple data providers and have us compile the information in one place. While some of this data could be accessed directly through courthouses or FOIA requests, it could take weeks or months to access it. We provide it instantly, online, and without lengthy trips to different courthouses across the country.

While we strive to provide you the best data possible, sometimes — due to slow processing times or clerical errors — the information we are provided isn't as thorough as we would like.

We would be happy to issue you a refund, but based on the information you provided us, we are unable to locate your account. Please call us on (800) 699-8081 so we can assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 26, 2019

I opted out of being posted on Truthfinder, but I continue to receive emails from them trying to sell my own information to me (they think I'm a buyer). I found that the little info they are posting (before payment) is incorrect. Yet, this firm sells the incorrect data, AGAINST MY OPTING OUT AND AGAINST MY PRIOR COMPLAINTS, at a profit to it. "Your Background Check for Gabriela ** is Waiting To Be Viewed, Anonymous Guarantee." Example of messages I keep receiving despite Opting out: << Damaging records - (3) new posts for Gn **>><>

As a private firm's owner 99% of what I do and my lifestyle is on public sites in plain view -- no need for anyone to pay to see it and I did not give permission to Truthfinder to sell it at its profit -- but above all to sell false data as correct data. THIS CONSTITUTES DECEPTIVE PRACTICE AND FALSE ADVERTISING, (and might include defamation harming my business since 2015). I seek to sue them under a class action claim. My last message to Truthfinder is: please either release my report to me immediately for free, so that I can correct any errors, or DELETE IT FROM YOUR WEBSITE. I do hope Truthfinder does not follow up on this last warning, so that I can sue them with the 1st opportunity ... along with everyone else victimized by them.

Hi Nicoleta,

You have been opted-out from TruthFinder and removed from our mailing lists. Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. Your background report has been removed from our databases and our website, but as we did not create these records, they will still be available, albeit from different sources.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2019

Updated on 04/25/2019: Thank you for getting back to me. I had contacted all those government agencies including: FBI, CIA, DOJ and INTERPOL. None of them have me on their watch list of being suspicious a terrorist or in any harmful activity. I had sent a photo of your display to them and now my questions to you: Where did you get these false statements from? I want the copy of whom was the person or persons to have created this against me? I want a copy of the form of the person with their name with their contexts. Send it to my email address.

I went to Truthfinder Website to see if my phone number was listed in the internet. I had discovered on Truthfinder to have display about the FBI, CIA, DOJ, INTERPOL and other government agencies have my name on their list of me to be on a watch to be a terrorist or in the company of someone being suspicious, being in a group of terrorism. I had taken a photo of this outrageous fabricated report about me. I intend to sue for damages if they persist to keep slandering my name! If I had a choice not to rate Truthfinder I wouldn't give any star. I expect for them to remove it from my record and the internet. The people and places are unknown to me! Someone has stolen my identity and has screwed it up to make it look like I am evil when I am not!

Hi Carmen,

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but this slide doesn’t say that an individual IS on a government watchlist, it simply states that our reports contain information for government databases. This is what it says:

Did you know? IF Carmen Lombardi’s name appears on a government watch list supplied by the DOJ, FBI, INTERPOL, or another government agency, you will have access to the details associated with this record.

At TruthFinder we have complete respect for an individual’s privacy. If you would like to opt-out from TruthFinder, please contact Customer Support on (800) 699-8081or send an email with the subject line ‘OPT OUT’ to help@truthfinder.com. Please include your full name and address in the body of the email.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 20, 2019

I signed up for their monthly $27 package and one day, I happened to notice an odd $4.99 charge on my VISA statement. After HOLDING on the phone for over 20 minutes, I finally got a customer service person (Sherie) on the line, who was very nice and I explained that I had NEVER authorized the additional $4.99 charge and didn't know WHAT it was. She said that 7 months ago 'someone' had used my account and looked up a phone # and when that occurs, they auto-bill each month thereafter for $4.99! First, I never looked up a phone number. Why would I, when we can do that for FREE online? And even if I did, what moron would allow Truthfinder to subsequently continue to bill $4.99 a month into INFINITY after looking up just ONE number?!?!?!

Well, Sherie was very understanding, but she had to send me over to Jennessi (sp?) in order for me to obtain the 7 months of $4.99 charges or $34.93 that Truthfinder basically stole from my VISA card. Jennessi was rude, unprofessional and argumentative, even challenging me CLOSE MY WHOLE ACCOUNT if I didn't like how they did things. I own businesses, and if I had an employee who repelled my customers, I'd be OUT of business! I'll be watching my VISA statement, and if the $34.93 credit doesn't show up in the 5 business days as promised, I plan to close the whole account and take my business elsewhere. Truthfinder is extremely unprofessional; and after wasting nearly an HOUR of my Saturday, I'm furious! GO ELSEWHERE and save yourself the trouble!

Hi Mary,

We're very sorry for your recent experience with TruthFinder. We will reach out to you privately to reach a resolution.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I ran a report on a gentleman that I am seeing that I am very fond of. I paid $37 which I barely had to find out that he is single. Now I am getting he say she say that he is married and stumbled upon a woman on Facebook and him holding a baby and the woman's last name is hyphenated with his. I want to believe Truthfinder but I'd like either a refund or a rerun of this story so that I can get to the bottom of it and put my heart at rest.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is a rip off. In order see the information they have on you, they want you to purchase a subscription for several months, a year or $29 for a month. This is extortion. I am a Senior Citizen living on social security. I have a right to know what information a person or company is publishing about me. I should not have to pay for it.

Truthfinder response

We apologize that you were unhappy with TruthFinder. We don't edit or create public records. They already exist in various databases at a county, state, and federal level. We pay a fee to access these databases — and then compile the records we are provided into one easy-to-read report. We have a team of developers to build the software that makes it possible for members of the public to search for their name, along with designers to help make the information easy to understand. While we would love to be able to provide this information for free, it's not feasible for us to do so. Sincerely, TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 16, 2019

Why cant companies tell you up front what something will cost so you won't have to jump through so many hoops to decide on buying that service. Truthfinder is one such company, PLUS they insinuated that I had several histories of criminal activities when I know it to be a complete, and utter lie. I have never committed a crime in my life, and have no knowledge of any family or friends who have either. I dont know how legitimate they are, but that really made me not want to pay, and would have stopped right there if I knew the cost up front. So yeah, that 15 minutes of questions was not worth it.

Hi Karan,

We apologize for any misunderstandings about our product, but we do not claim to be a free service. We search public record databases and compile the records we retrieve into one easy-to-read report. However, it costs money to access these databases and to maintain our website. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care team at 1-800-699-8081. We’re able to assist you 7 days a week, 5 am to 10 pm PST (8 am-1 am EST).

Original review: April 16, 2019

I wanted to look up information regarding myself. I gave my name and email address before starting my search. I verified several questions about myself along many pages (age, relatives, residency, etc) stating they were compiling and loading information regarding my records. Their "findings" are misleading as I know I do not have a criminal record nor am I on any watch "list". After stating my report was ready, it requires a payment to proceed. Withholding that information regarding payment until the end is shady enough for me not to proceed.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. TruthFinder compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. But we have to pay to access those sources. We also have to pay our expert developers to turn that data into background reports that are easy for you to read and understand. We provide all of the billing details before a customer chooses to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Truthfinder has my deceased mother, who has been dead 11 years listed as though she was alive. Truthfinder has her living at locations she never lived at and lists relatives that were not related at all.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I tried their service but did not buy anything, I just got to the point where I had to sign up for a monthly service and decided based on reviews that I wouldn't do that. They really should off a one-time service that doesn't automatically renew. When I got to the point of adding my email address I became skeptical so I read their Privacy Policy and Terms of Use and in neither of these did it state that personal information would be sold or given away. Still skeptical I signed up using an alias email of "myemail+truthfinder@gmail.com" of course "myemail" is mine, not literally my email. I then began to get SPAM emails, that look like phishing scams, from multiple sources, all to this email alias and only after I did not sign up for the Truthfinder service. It's been many months and I still get several emails a week, almost every day. It's very annoying and is an illegal practice.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for your recent experience with TruthFinder. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 10, 2019

I ran a Truthfinder on my son. I knew about his life till around age 21. Then he came back in at age 37. He's now 39. Truthfinder did NOT find any of his 3 arrest records that I knew of from his past. Only found a few of many addresses. I was looking for more arrest records, driving record, etc. His house had been foreclosed on in September and Truthfinder didn't find that in March. His car was before that. VERY DISSATISFIED. DON'T USE, NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

Hi Julie,

We're sorry that you didn't find the information that you were looking for. While our reports are usually quite thorough, we rely on third-party data sources (like courthouses and census bureaus) to obtain our data. Sometimes due to factors like slow processing times or clerical errors, this information may be inaccurate or out-of-date. We will reach out privately to make this right.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I encountered Truthfinder through an internet search. The short description indicated it as a free service. I went to the site because I was receiving postal mail addressed to a person I do not know, but with my street address. I entered all the required information (requiring multiple web pages). When I entered my email address to receive my report I was informed that there was a fee. So I declined. Since then, I get a pop up notice at least once daily telling me my report is "waiting for me". I emailed Truthfinder to ask how to stop these pop ups but received no response. I have run two malware programs which do not find malware on my computer. I Truthfinder's technique to be invasive of my privacy and unethical.

Truthfinder response

We're sorry that you were unhappy with our service. It sounds like you subscribed to push notifications while visiting our site. This article can provide information on how to easily unsubscribe from push notifications: https://www.truthfinder.com/unsubscribe

Original review: April 9, 2019

Overall I appreciate the service. More detailed info about criminal activity would be better on a person. I'm still floored on why I can't find myself. I have put in all the info I have on me. I overall C+/B_-.

Hi Charlie,

We're sorry that you're having difficulties locating yourself on TruthFinder. A senior member of our team will reach out privately to assist you.

Original review: April 9, 2019

This site is horrible, I want to cancel and I have tried everything since November and they still keep taking out money from my checking account. I have called, can't get thru, canceled on site, and emailed and no answer back. They are awful. I am going to get a consumer help company to help me.

Truthfinder response
We're so sorry to hear about your experience with TruthFinder. A senior representative from our Member Care department will be reaching out privately to get this issue resolved.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 8, 2019

We had an incident with an acquaintance/new friend and he was arrested 2 houses away with police and sirens wailing. We attempted to find out the circumstances and being unfamiliar with internet research, wound up with Truthfinder. After going through the built up drama provided by Truthfinder in while "searching" for the data, it was inaccurate and without current criminal charges (while the guy was sitting in jail). I subsequently found the information myself, which is really saying something. I immediately sent an email to remove my subscription, received a email reply telling me to call them, and now I can't get through to them.

The nice recorded lady that does answer the call robotically assures me that the call volume is greater than normal. Likely the calls are people complaining just like me. She conscientiously suggests I leave a message, I try to but am immediately disconnected. It's dishonest business practices at best and more likely, outright thievery and intentional deception.

I've spoken with my bank and although they couldn't divulge specifics to me, clearly indicated that Truthfinder isn't a stranger to them. And the likelihood of them telling me (probably in part) a forthcoming attempt to obtain their subscription fees ongoing should be handled by the financial institutions it wasn't the truth. Truthfinder themselves can back out any charges and put an end to the issue, but they. To expect an ongoing problem that will likely create a need for me to file a dispute. So, I can do that. I even know how. Miracles never cease. Nor do the endless scams and lack of honesty and integrity people find acceptable these days. Good luck and please think twice about Truthfinder services providing their clients the whole truth or to be reachable.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 2, 2019

Truthfinder listed a person I was searching for by name and previous, known to me addresses at the right age 71, which is concurrent with my age and generation, as I was searching for an old high school friend. After I paid the $27.78, TF revealed that the actual age of the person was 89! The only truth I found was she died at the age of 71 in 2002 - 18 years ago!

I immediately contacted them by email and complained about the classic "bait and switch" fraud they perpetrated, and have gotten no answer, forget about the 800 complaint line wait. I plan to try one more search to see if I can get anything of value for the money I've already spent and then cancel my account and inform my bank not to issue any more payments to Truthfinder, who, I see by the majority of complaints here on the BBB page, are really in the business of scamming, overcharging and not responding. Forewarned is forearmed, folks, so if you're reading this you are both forewarned and forearmed.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: March 30, 2019

When I registered for Truthfinder's service in January 2019, they offered two Opt-In Payment choices: (1) a one-time, one-month use of the Truthfinder website (this is the Opt-In I selected); (2) a recurring, monthly Opt-In Payment (automatic monthly charge to registrants' credit or debit card, which I did NOT select). I purchased Truthfinder's services solely to check the accuracy of my personal information and that of two other family members. The information that Truthfinder provided (the "Product") was in each instance extensive and accurate. Truthfinder does a fine job of providing a bona fide, impartial and quality information service. I would have given Truthfinder five stars had it not been for their complete disregard of my one-time, one-month Opt-In purchase.

On or about January 8, 2019, I opted for Truthfinder's one-time, one-month purchase, which should have automatically ended 30 days later. As noted above, however, Truthfinder continues to charge my credit card $27.78 monthly. Telephoning for customer service is an exercise in futility and frustration as I learned the hard way. I telephoned six times over a span of a week, resulting in an aggregate of 4-1/2 hours on hold! A customer service representative NEVER answered. Truthfinder's failure to provide assistance forced me to dispute the improper charges for February and March to my credit card bank (the "Bank"). Upon learning that my Bank had reversed the charges, Truthfinder closed my account. Because of this closure, I'm now unable to obtain from the Truthfinder website the documentation my Bank is requesting in order to validate the dispute.

In addition, while Truthfinder.com properly shows my correct personal information in its MyAccount section, it fails to show the Opt-In Payment I selected, i.e., a one-time, one-month use of their website services. By failing to provide this key information, Truthfinder renders any disputed charges into a "he said, she said" situation. For example, so far, the company has properly collected $27.78 for January 2019, but it has tried to charge an additional $55.56 to my credit card for February and March. I notice in ConsumerAffairs' Reviews that Truthfinder resolves a similar complaint by another customer IN ITS OWN FAVOR by invoking Section 9 of its Terms of Use, which states:

"Your membership will automatically renew every 30 days unless you cancel before the start of the next term. TruthFinder will charge the recurring membership fee of $27.78 to the same payment option you use today until you cancel. To cancel your subscription, call (800) 699-8081 between the hours of 5 am and 10 pm Pacific." Truthfinder has two conflicting policies in place, which it apparently uses at its discretion and in its favor. For instance, on February 19, 2019, Truthfinder replied to another customer about a similar situation by saying that Truthfinder's "Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel." In my case at least, I specifically selected to pay only one time for a one-month use of Truthfinder's services.

I'm trying hard to believe that this is just a "mistake," particularly because Truthfinder establishes such a good reputation for itself by providing a quality service. Why ruin its reputation with a bait-and-switch that allows customers to Opt-In to a one-month purchase, while actually switching to a monthly, recurring charge that obligates customers to telephone (see Section 9) to cancel the account? When I tried to telephone, I was kept on hold interminably; no one answered. In contrast, the one-month Opt-In doesn't require ANY action by the customer. By its very nature, it should automatically expire after 30 days. I ask that Truthfinder clearly disclose what its authoritative purchase policy is. I also request that it resolve the disputed, improper charges to my credit card when my credit card Bank calls, assuming they succeed in reaching a human being. I unfortunately wasn't so lucky.

Hi Michael,

We are so sorry that you had this experience with TruthFinder. A senior member from our Customer Care team will be reaching out privately to make this right.

Sincerely, TruthFinder Support

Original review: March 28, 2019

Scam. Do not waste your money! Easy to sign up but almost impossible to cancel. In the fine print, you agree to let them sell your email address to spammers. The worst part of all is the information is so inaccurate it's no help whatsoever.

Truthfinder expert review by Ben Mannes

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Truthfinder Company Information