3.41/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

253 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Your program does a very nice job helping to find information on the parties we are looking for to do a simple background check when needed. I consider your website to be the go to place for information. Your information was is always quite accurate and easy to understand which makes it helpful and useful in help developing and accessing our client risk.

Truthfinder response
Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team.

TruthFinder Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I tried Truthfinder out several months ago, and paid for the trial with my Bank of America credit card. The system was slow, and some of the information was inaccurate. I made the decision not to use this as my way of performing background checks, as I felt that it was user-unfriendly and using it could lead to liability issues as some of the information was apparently wrong. I noticed that Truthfinder continued billing my credit card every month, and informed Bank of America of my decision not to use Truthfinder anymore. I have tried a few times to stop this billing cycle, as I don't use their "service" but somehow that did not work (that is a separate dispute with BofA).

Truthfinder tells you to call a 1-800 number. When you call the number a computer voice tells you to go online and sign-in, after which you are supposed to be able to unsubscribe. Since I had only used their "service" once several month ago, I had no idea anymore what my password was. I gave my E-mail address and received a message that they would send me a message to reconnect and that this could take a few minutes. No message was received (I waited 30 minutes). I tried again and again without success (no E-mail message was received).

I now continue to use better established services for background checks. Yes they are more expensive, but you can trust the results more and you don't get automatic billing to your credit card when you don't use the system. Last but not least, if I want to stop using a service because of quality issues, I can just tell them not to contact me anymore. Bottom-line: very bad experience and hence my recommendation to avoid them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Discovered unauthorized charges by Truthfinder.com on my bank statement. Called bank and got contact number for Truthfinder. Talked with Lisa, who asked for the first 6 digits of my bank debit card number: gave me those same numbers when I refused and they were correct. Transferred to Neil, who asked for the expiration date of my debit card. Since I was on my cell and had just canceled the card, I gave him the expiration date. He advised me that they have been charging my card since May (I've had health, death, engine, other, and now fraud issues and have failed to balance my checkbook for 8 months. It has had significant funds... Sorry).

The fact is that Truthfinder has charged me 27.78 fifteen (15) times since June. I can only contest the fraudulent charges for the last 90 days. So Neil offers to reimburse me 222.24 within 3 to 5 days, and encourages me not to contest with the bank "because that will delay everything by 6 weeks"; or something to the exact same effect. Well, there are only 166.68 of fraudulent charges in the last 90 days, but that is all I am entitled to: but I am posting this so YOU know this happened.

Is it likely that a third party has my card number and never used it anywhere except twice a month at Truthfinder.com? Seems far fetched to me. I contested with my bank: an institution who I have an account with. I do not wish to work with companies that I have never heard of and who fraudulently charge my bank account. Wow. I hope to be contacted by authorities if widespread fraud is found at this company, by fraudulently charging people's accounts. Again: 6 months of fraudulent charges, all by Truthfinder.com and all in the amount of $27.78. Sound familiar? Contact your bank and request they pursue fraud investigation.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Hi. Could not find anything I was looking for, work history, anything about me other than wrong info. I need help. I will call when I can and maybe some can

talk me through this. I want to know when a company runs a background check what do they see?

Truthfinder response
Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you experienced technical issues during your search, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Service does do a little but keeps asking for more money if you want deeper info, which should be included with high amt you pay for this type service. Also I canceled my prescription after first month but they billed me for another month anyway, had to call my card issuer and tell them no more charges accepted by them. Will never use them again!

Truthfinder response
We apologize for your recent experience with TruthFinder. A senior member of our team will be reaching out shortly to make things right.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I can't tell you how great it is to know that my children are safe. I use this to make sure that no one in my child's life has a drug and or abuse background. It's also extremely important that I know who their friends are and are not.

Truthfinder response
Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I tried this "service" for info on myself to see what was out there. I got SCAMMED. After viewing the initial report from this company I decided to cancel the monthly subscription because the information was for another person that is not me! I let them know but got NO reply. Then I tried again and got very little info on myself that was FAR from complete as I know my own history! I called the 800 number provided for “help” to their customers only to be put on hold for more than an hour. I finally left my call back number TWICE after a reassuring voice told me I wouldn’t lose my place in line and someone would return my call soon. This is

Day 4 of waiting to be called back and nothing. No reply to over 6 emails as well!? The information they provide regarding cancellation stated it is easy -as long as you cancel before the next billing on your credit card. I guess if they don’t answer their phone calls there are no cancellations! Extremely frustrating and I was SCAMMED! DO NOT USE!

Truthfinder response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for a 5 day trial. The guarantee was that I could cancel within the 5 days and there would be no charge. I tried 4 times to cancel, leaving a call back number-- they never called me. Now there is a charge on my credit card-- I will dispute.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for your recent experience with TruthFinder. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I just wish that your information included military experience. That would help narrow it down some, especially when looking for an old shipmate. Also, my FAA pilot license was not listed. Other than that, the information was very interesting. I found a few errors in my information and I think I was able to correct it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Based on the positive articles written about this company, I decided to have them run my background. If they were 15% accurate I would be more than generous. Of the 21 acquaintances they listed 2 were correct. They listed my business address as my home. I moved in and out of my existing house twice and in the interim my manufacturing business was listed as the occupant. They had me working in positions from Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin. Completely missed that I'm licensed as a CPA. Many additional errors made. Anyone thinking they will get accurate information is making a major mistake.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I want to say, steer clear of this website. I wanted to review a friend's history because I was told on DMV.ORG that I could use Truthfinder to find his traffic tickets. I started giving information and the website slowly got more and more negative saying that he's on terrorism watch lists and that he has a criminal record in three states. I (understandably I hope) got very concerned for his well being and advanced through the process to see what they had found. $22+ dollars later I get a trash report that has barely any information about him or tons of faulty information that has nothing to do with anything it had said was found about him.

I Don't want to touch on how it only says once in dismissive language at the beginning that it will cost money. I had a feeling but it strings you along getting you scared just to leave you livid and out $22 which could be used to get an authentic report at a courthouse. I wanted to like the website, it was well put together and displayed nicely. But after scaring me into a monthly service that I promptly canceled and won't get my money back I'll have to recommend to everyone I know to avoid this website LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Truthfinder response
We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After viewing the initial report from this company I decided to cancel the monthly subscription billed through PayPal. I called the 800 number provided for “help” to their customers only to be put on hold for more than an hour. I finally left my call back number after a reassuring voice told me I wouldn’t lose my place in line and someone would return my call soon. This is Day 2 of waiting to be called back and the future does not look bright. The information they provide regarding cancellation stated it is easy -as long as you cancel before the next billing on your credit card. I guess if they don’t answer their phone calls there are no cancellations! Extremely frustrating.

Truthfinder response
We’re so sorry you had a frustrating experience while trying to cancel your membership. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Efficient and thorough way to locate long lost friends. Contains many possible resources to confirm identification. Some errors but readily corrected. Variety of sources and having neighbors listed helps with initial contact. Have used several times with success. Only one Toska ** have been unable to locate as addresses listed are not valid.

Truthfinder response
That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, don't hesitate to reach out to us directly.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I'm still waiting on a confirmation email so I can confirm I want to opt out. Not in spam, not in bulk email, and this is the only one I've had trouble getting out of. I do not wish for all of my information and my children's to be so visible.

Truthfinder response

We are so sorry that you are experiencing difficulties opting out. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/09/2019: The posted responses (2) from Truthfinder lead the general public to believe that they refunded the wasted money to my account. They did not refund me. But, the only way that I can respond to their response is via a "private message". BEWARE.

Original: I did a google search for free that revealed 11 court cases against a person. Figuring that if I found and verified 11 court cases there must be more so I fell into the Truthfinder trap. After wasting about 20 minutes of answering questions and so forth I wasted 20 some dollars to get the report. Truthfinder found nothing, not even one out of the 11 my google search found for free... And, to top it off, it didn't even find one record that I know in fact is a true case because I am a witness for the prosecuting attorney. BEWARE.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Truthfinder is a waste of money!!! Out of date information on addresses, phone numbers, locations, no marriage or divorce info or records. No birth info, ie where, if they have, how many, locations of births or even if they children. Useless info about past neighbors (not current). It provides inaccurate possible known associates, almost like they pulled a rabbit from a hat. There sex offender info is free and more accurate on State website or registry sites. Mortgage info inaccurate and out of date. Social media info out of date and not accurate. Worst service and I paid for the premium service ran reports and got more disinformation than real. They just try and sell you additional services like how to protect your info, but don't because their info is so bad you don't have anything to worry about.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have provided 3 different emails over the past few days to receive a confirmation email for opting out and nothing! NOT ONE confirmation email to any is provided! They make it impossible to remove your own information.

Truthfinder response

We hate to hear you're unhappy with our service. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record."

Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain.

We’re sorry that you’re having problems opting out of TruthFinder. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Site does not say anything about fees. Fell for it anyway and after 40 minutes or so of them running a report, I was presented with their "fees". I thought what the heck, I went this far so I used my PayPal account to pay for the Minimum fee of $27.78. After I completed my PayPal payment, they requested my credit card information. I called customer service and they were no help at all. Now they have my PayPal account info. I have nothing! Do not use unless you are willing to give out your credit card info, which I would highly recommend you do not send to a company like this. On top of that, you have to agree to automatic reoccurring charges every month unless you remember to cancel the service.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was shocked at so much inaccurate information and just plain incorrect information my report contained. I had a background check on myself and I was very disappointed. Still waiting on the confirmation email to show I cancelled my subscription and I cannot get my money back!! I am very disappointed in Truthfinder.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Went through the whole process only to be told I had to pay for the report. In the middle of the process I had to provide email for report to be sent to me. Why don't they tell you then there is a fee? Now they have my email address to possibly sell? Very disappointed and feeling totally deceived!!!

Truthfinder response
We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. TruthFinder compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. But we have to pay to access those sources. We also have to pay our expert developers to turn that data into background reports that are easy for you to read and understand. We provide all of the billing details before a customer chooses to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Found the information I was looking for right away. In the past I have not been as lucky. But I know some of the people I look for are not necessary legal in this country. I use the program often and I am very happy with the results.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I did a search then you wanted me to pay. Problem is I have an account and it is paid and up to date. So I am rerunning the report now trying again. I clicked a login link but I didnt get a login screen.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have tried opting out of Truthfinder only to get a 404 not found error when I select my info and no email link. I would NOT like any old person to come across personal info. It should not be difficult to remove your OWN info. DISAPPOINTING.

Hi Chante,

We are sorry to hear you have had a hard time opting out of our system, with our service. We completely respect your desire for privacy and will reach out to you privately to resolve this matter.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Easy to use and with accurate information. I feel like the information should be updated more frequently though. The cost for an account is also reasonable. It is very helpful to have a site where you can do a background check on people you may be considering dating or trying to locate a relative.

Hi Judy,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was able to find most of the information that was being searched. I do see some information that is off, but not by much. It says I bought my home in 2004 but it was actually purchased in 1991. I did a refinance in 2004. Other than that it appears you have other things accurately stated.

Hi Vincent,

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I've had a fine experience. The service was as expected with no disappointments. The Location History has proved to be very accurate. Also, what I didn't expect to see but was pleasantly surprised were the various Email and Social Media History which has proved to be very useful.

Hi Patrick,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

After using several search programs, I found Truthfinder to provide more information than the others. As with any online search program, information has to be corroborated with other sources assure 100% accuracy, but for the most part I've found it to be very accurate. Any questionable criminal information is stated as such by the program. I have run several background checks, mostly to find people I have lost touch with and not been able to find through other modalities. I recommend Truthfinder to be a very user-friendly source for information and a great value for those who need to run background checks for any reason.

Hi Linda,

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I enjoy finding my ancestors. I have found several people that I didn't realize were still alive and didn't know where they lived. Your site has helped me reach out to find them and get in touch again after many years. Thank you!

Hi Glenna,

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ran this on myself looking for divorce dates from 1997 there about and due to my extensive criminal history from very long ago (good lord put me on the right path NOW :)) I was looking forward to see what a bad past I had and to thank god for delivering me...which I do. But that being said I well over 20 arrest, I have been in about 15 different county jails and did 18 months federal prison. They found like 3 minor things on my criminal arrest and I know I have open warrant in Florida because a lawyer is getting it cleared for me...

My point is the warrant is there 100% but they did not show it in report so if a fugitive from justice is next door don't trust this site. I spent 30 plus dollars and did not get the real deal and I know this because it is me...lol! SAVE YOUR MONEY! DO NOT BUY THIS!! Also a lot of fluff like a list of people I am associated with was accurate a little but useless...like my no criminal record ex wife's son. I purchased this but should dispute it but chalk it up to lesson learned!!!

Hi Randolph,

We’re sorry to hear you weren’t satisfied with our reports. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but sometimes we are limited to what our data providers give us. Please contact our Customer Support team at 1-800-699-8081 so we can make things right.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The public report Truthfinder furnished is full of details that have nothing to do with me and was missing a lot of information that I know exists from FBI reports I have had done... Complete waste of time and money... Avoid at any cost.

Hi Fritz,

Truthfinder expert review by Ben Mannes

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Truthfinder Company Information