2.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

330 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 18, 2019

Mary. This woman was able to use her bank to take money from my PayPal account. I was interested whether she had a criminal record. I was wishing that would show up at the beginning of the report. Also, the report did not show any type of problems with credit. She is a very rich woman living in Southern California and knows how to take money out of other people's accounts. It looks like you don't do anything with credit reports. So TruthFinder seems limited as to that area..

However, your history of her moves is interesting. One fact that really opened up my eyes is that she pays $5,000.00 a month on her mortgage. It did help me to know that she is rich. Now PayPal is working with her taking money out of my account through her credit cards that she used in initially paying me but then took the money out through her bank. PayPal found that my charges for editing for her were very creditable. So knowing through your report of her financial situation did really help.

Truthfinder response
That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly over the phone.

TruthFinder Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Not all was accurate. My name don't have a letter A in my middle name it's **. I know 2 people who was arrested for robbery and both have no records on here. Can be dangerous for dating sites. Notice am being secretly charged. Some are accurate with 20 year old phone numbers. Not all phone numbers show up.

Hi Ronald,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Generally speaking, I most always find the info I need to contact old friends, etc., etc. A little disappointed sometimes when I have to pay a premium for the details, but... All in all, this is a great service for anyone interested in checking on folks before they get too close.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the positive review. We're so happy to hear you are able to use our service to find the contact information of old friends. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Some Judgements, civil liens etc, are slow to update on the platform. Still remains the best jumping off point for information gathering initial information. A suggestion would be to allow, if your legal team could clear the way, to aggregate from state police & local police arrest records (arrests not convictions). I find this to be the most laking information. I understand laws vary from state to state, however I have been able to access infomation freely through many state and local agencies. Keep up the good work, love the platform and look forward to future updates. P.S. I appreciate the experian connection "dark web" monitoring. I would make availible to your members, known data breaches as some bins, repositories, etc. obfuscate information to deter the evolving "dark web" crawlers.

Hi David,

We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback as it allows us to continue to improve our service. We are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible for our reports.

We want to invite you to check out our blog, where you can find more information on data breaches and the dark web. For example, we recently posted this article that we feel you might be interested in: https://www.truthfinder.com/infomania/dark-web/netflix-hulu-hbo-data-breach/.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Respectfully,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I found AKAs that mean watches bank accounts and found connected to my mom's address and perpetrator's family name in her neighborhood too. Found more now. Using to figure out a serious matter that may be connected to my family's personal serious matters where lack of evidence prevented any police intervention. So seeking diligently it may really help me with a better idea of stalkers that may be involved in other more serious illegal activity as I alleged. Emails that mean the same as bank accounts. It is very serious because my family were victims too of bank crimes and it involves them too. I had separate matter and it is now looking like it could be same parties that are much worse criminals so I gave to my former ATF agent tenant and he gives to police. It is good start and he has some jurisdiction too.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Respectfully,

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: July 21, 2019

This service has been critical and so important. The only issue is that some information that should be there is not up to date, even when pulling up my own profile. I understand that it takes time to update, but there should be information from several years ago that isn’t included. All in all, I am very pleased with this service and find it very important to have this tool at my disposal. P

Hi Theresa,
Thank for leaving us such a positive review! We’re glad you found what you were looking for with our services. We work really hard to provide the most relevant and useful information to our users, and we're sorry we couldn't provide some of the information that you were looking for. If you have any questions or need help with our website, please let us know by calling our member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I was looking for information on someone who vandalized my home. I found exactly what I needed on Truthfinder which will definitely help to resolve the situation. The information was well documented, detailed and easy to understand! I would definitely use this service again.

Truthfinder response

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I've looked up around 15 names while on Truthfinder and have had fantastic results about those names. I've had scams in the past, so a few of the names I looked up turned out to be scams. This is a very good service. Would recommend it to everyone.

Truthfinder response

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached via phone.

Original review: July 19, 2019

In my genealogy work, I have found this resource invaluable in being able to find contemporary information conveniently that would otherwise be unavailable to because of time and distance. Many of the features are extremely helpful. Especially the feature of possible relatives, neighbors, and associates.

Original review: July 18, 2019

This app is so thorough. I love using it. It offers so much more than what you would expect from an app like this. I love the peace of mind I get. Also how useful it is to check on future love interests.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I was able to find out pertinent information on the people that I looked up. Some were family. It was really useful to me as I really needed addresses and all of the addresses were there. So this was really appreciated as I needed to write them for family matters.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I am very picky about just about everything. Truthfinder is about the highest quality service I have found for anything anywhere. I met a person on a dating service who would not tell me his full name until I met him in person. I put his name in Truthfinder and found out he had felony assault charges in the past. When I asked him about it on the phone, he admitted that he had assaulted his ex wife! He was angry that I found this out. Needless to say, I ceased all contact with him. Truthfinder may have saved my life!!

Original review: July 18, 2019

Experience with the detailed reported provided was really good. It was quick and pretty accurate, except for the suggestions about close family members, because I have none other than my husband as an adult family member. I think the analytics shouldn't look for last names to find close family members in all cases but should also include other input criteria like race, number of years lived in the USA, etc.

Truthfinder response

Thank for leaving us such a positive and honest review! We’re glad you found what you were looking for with our services. If you have any questions or need help with our website, please let us know by calling our member care team.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2019

I cannot find me in the site. Other sites have my info. I am also in business and clients cannot see my background. What else can I say? Please check into this and let me know why I am not there. There could be discrepancies.

Truthfinder response
We’re sorry to hear you weren’t satisfied with our reports. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but sometimes we are limited to what our data providers give us. Please contact our Customer Support team so we can make things right.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Wow!! This is a very detailed and accurate source for information. I was skeptical I admit but really was impressed. I also appreciate the option to block my own information and prevent infiltration by others; also to be able to easily edit my info.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2019

There is far too much bad and outdated information to wade through just to find out what most people want to know. I took advantage of a special one month at 50% off and still feel like I paid too much for the information provided. There was so much bad information on my own name and it was impossible to figure out where it came from and why it appeared. There is very little provided for the six or so names that were actually related to me that I could have found nearly all of it on my own without joining Truthfinder. There was also some very important missing information that Truthfinder did not locate that I know is available via public record search. If you choose to use this website be aware that all the information you receive might not actually pertain to the person whose background you are researching.

Truthfinder response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Credit reporting agencies, white page sites and a host of other online information services have 10 times the information that this site has. Most of the information is missing, incorrect or the timeline is wrong. They charge a one-month unlimited report but if you don't cancel, they will continue to charge you every month. This is a crap site that should be taken down.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 12, 2019

I ran a background check on myself to see what might appear under my identity on Truthfinder. They did not have my current address as listed on my legal state drivers license. They even listed a city as a residence where I have never resided in my entire life. When I saw that this information was incorrect to start with I was not about to pay their fee to see what else they have wrong about me. The mistaken information they give on a persons background can be destructive of one's future endeavors.

Truthfinder response

We’re sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience with the information found in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. Please contact our Customer Support team so we can make things right.

Original review: July 10, 2019

BEWARE!!! This company will make unauthorized use of your credit card for purchases not authorized. Simply stated.... his company is running a SCAM making unauthorized use of your credit information.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I recently subscribed to check this out, unfortunately couldn't find what I was looking for. I want my account settings to cancel my account, which takes you through 3 or 4 different prompts to confirm cancellation. I insured that I followed the prompts to cancel, until I saw a verification of cancellation. I assumed everything was done, until I checked my credit card today and saw that I was charged. I called them but the customer service person said that there wasn't anything that they could do, so now I have to turn off my credit card and block them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 7, 2019

This website was not only inaccurate - I searched myself - but also did not provide any additional information that could be found using free searches! What a waste of time and money! It had me living in places I’ve never visited and related to people I’ve never heard of. SCAM!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 26, 2019

I am the chair head of a high school reunion. I've been paying $27.00 a month for this service. I was paying an additional $4.00 for email access but cancelled that after finding emails were not accurate. I was using this service to get classmates' addresses. Some I obtained on Facebook but hundreds were not on Facebook. So I came to Truthfinder to find them. Since we are doing two classes there are a lot of addresses to get. I was cut off/suspended in the middle of my research because of the concern I was looking up too many names? I've been paying monthly for premium unlimited services, clicking the Captcha proving I am not a robot, signing in with my email and password. Yet I was suspended. Which only proves they are watching you and there is a limit.

Unable to resolve the situation immediately, I had no choice but to cancel. If this was such an issue, maybe I there should have been some warning that came up stating I have exceeded my search for the day. And to give it a break for a bit! And not say you get unlimited searches. And that you are being watched!! Oh look they have a CAPTCHA for me to click on. Such a farce.

Hi Kimberly,

We’re so sorry that you are having technical difficulties with TruthFinder. We work really hard to improve our user experiences and we’d love to work with you to fix this error. One of our senior team members will be reaching out privately to help resolve this issue.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

This is a fake site. They will only instantly start sending you spam like **, sex sites, dating sites. Is this what you want on your computer, and it will never end until you change your email address. So are you ready to change your email address? Then go ahead and give it to these scammers. I didn't even do a search and got cold feet and tried to cancel what I was doing but it was too late. Shame on these people. How does the government allow this to happen?

Dear Sir,

This response is in regards to your consumer complaint.

We’re sorry for any confusion that you may have experienced with our policies. We do collect personal information such as name, address, and email address. When a customer enters in this information and clicks “Continue”, they agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The following can be found in our Privacy Policy:

SHARING INFORMATION
TruthFinder may share your personal information, including your name, address, email address, and data about transactions conducted on our Site with third parties, including third-party advertising partners who may send you information about their products or services. TruthFinder uses third party service providers to help us with hosting, billing, fulfillment, and data storage and security. We do not share payment information, except with service providers, and only for order fulfillment.
If you enter a co-sponsored contest or sweepstakes, any information collected will be shared with the co-sponsor in accordance with the co-sponsor’s privacy policy. Do not participate in contests or sweepstakes if you do not wish to share your information in this way.
If we or some or all of our assets are acquired by another organization, including through a sale in connection with bankruptcy, that organization will possess the information collected by us, and it will assume the rights and obligations regarding your information as described in this Privacy Statement.

We may disclose personal information or other data to comply with law or legal requirements, enforce or apply our Terms of Use and other agreements, or protect our rights, property, or safety of our users, or others.

All users have the choice to unsubscribe from promotional materials from us or our marketing partners by unsubscribing themselves or contacting us at help@truthfinder.com. We apologize for your frustrating experience. We have removed your email address from our email marketing list. Please allow up to 10 days for the email advertisements to cease.

Please do not hesitate to contact our customer service department at (800) 699-8081 with any further questions or concerns. We are available to assist you, Mon-Sun 5am - 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

TruthFinder Support

Original review: June 14, 2019

I would give this service zero stars, but I have to put at least one to let other users understand the uselessness of this site. I wanted to look up my grandfather's information, who passed away in 1967. I was particularly interested in the vehicles he owned, so I saw that this site claimed vehicle records based on county records. When I paid the 28 dollars for a one month option, which was the cheapest, they then charged another 4 dollars for the PDF file it created, which was ridiculous. I then opened the pdf, which was the only option to see the results, and all the data returned was his name, birth date, and day he died, and the last city he lived. Then they proceeded to let me know all the sex offenders around his house. Complete garbage. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Very unsatisfied!

Truthfinder response

We’re sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience with the information found in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: June 3, 2019

I signed up to find out a few things about a shady individual I know, I paid and got started. It said your report is ready then wanted a additional 27.95 to let me view it. The only thing they told me was my own name and where I have lived which was places I have never been to. It also told me of relatives that are NOT my family. I am not sure where they get their information but it is not even close to being accurate and they are robbing people with their bogus claims, it’s simply FRAUD. Do NOT waste your money on this. Just buy a elderly person lunch.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: May 30, 2019

As a parent of 4 kids, I was trying to find current information on my second son, who left for California (leaving from Oklahoma) in about 2014. Well, first of all, his timeline showed his birthdate, but not the location (Illinois). This was the case with all of his relatives (my own reports as well) and "associates" reports. His older brother was NEVER born, specifically in Michigan and then relocated to Texas. There were no education records found and licensures in his medical field (he was a COTA in MI,OK,and CA) or driver licenses and up to date registered vehicles. Useless info. Included many "associates" or neighbors from previous addresses. The Real Estate and Property Tax info from his addresses were useless for my purpose. Previously by using a Bing search, I had already found that his OK Medical Board's COTA registration had expired. Nothing in his timeline.

My own report likewise was lacking: Education, and at least 6 car registrations for the 2000-2018 period. My report did not show my 15 + years employment in MI and 17 years in OH (both for Nuclear utilities). I gave up trying to set the TruthFinder reports straight for "updating" reports for my own personal report, for which I know the facts. I am very disappointed for the $30 spent. I cancelled the minute I downloaded and read my second son's and my reports, both which missed my first son completely.

Truthfinder response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: May 28, 2019

They told me I was on a government watch list. There is no way that they can even have that information. I freaked out and almost worked myself up into a panic attack until my husband got home and assured me that this whole site is a scam. I am seriously considering filing suit against this company or at least talking to a lawyer to see if there is anything I can do. This should not be legal. Since your site gathers information, if you are any good at what you do, you'll know where I live, what I own, and that I can and will make good with this. Just about every other person on this street is a lawyer. Be prepared to be feel the same way that I felt with this FALSE information you gave!

Truthfinder response

Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of TruthFinder. Once you have opted out, your background report will no longer appear on the TruthFinder site. Your background report will be removed from our databases and our website, but as we did not create these records, they will still be available, albeit from different sources.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I paid the $27.95 and it is a rip-off. I searched myself and family members and the data was not current or correct. I actually got better information and correct information from Kentucky.arrests.org. which is free. Do not waste your money! I certainly wished I had not wasted mine!!! Actually, I would rate it 0 stars.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I bought the one month only option to check on two dubious relatives who want to visit me. There was much accurate info such as addresses, work, etc. so the DUI and other info is likely correct so I now know to save myself the visit from these two. The actual problem however is the receipt just received in my email. It is not for payment of the one month. It seems there is a bait and switch and like the poor slobs above in this complaint chain I will be billed into eternity if I do not call the number. So many have said this is an exercise in futility to call and be on hold for hours and I am in Europe so the phone bill will be enormous. I may just turn this over to my FBI friend to troubleshoot if I get no answer.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: May 23, 2019

None of the criminal reports were accurate. People's reputation could be ruined! It's very expensive for inaccurate reports, and not just criminal records. Just about every report was more of a guess than the truth. Do Not Use! A complete waste of money.

Truthfinder expert review by Ben Mannes

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Truthfinder Company Information