3.20/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

274 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used Truthfinder several times and have been able to find all but one of the people I have been looking for. The one person not found could be I have wrong search information. I am looking for more accurate information to try finding this one person.

Truthfinder response
Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team.

TruthFinder Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

Called customer service. Waited 20 min+ for dullard 'Beatrice' - who knew far less than I did just from reading the terms page myself?! What is the actual price? What if I don't like the service on the very 1st day (seems likely by now)? When is too late for a refund??? Zero straight answers, only repeated pre-scripted robotic evasions and intentional delaying tactics, after my asking the same question over and over and over for another 20 mins! Very very shady operation!!! I think the positive reviews must be fake.

Truthfinder response

Thank you for your feedback. Information about the cost of the product can be found on the following page: https://www.truthfinder.help/cost/. If you dislike the product after purchasing we encourage you to reach out to customer support for assistance and a potential refund. Refunds are offered on a case-by-case basis. Sincerely, TruthFinder Support.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I'm very pleased with reports that come back. This platform has been very helpful. My business requires finding people and this is helpful and very interesting in all the information it provides on locations lived, relatives, neighbors, and so forth. Those extra facts add validity to the research and is much appreciated. The only adverse comment is that sometimes it doesn't seem to be up to date, however it's pretty darn good often. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 14, 2019

I decided to give this a whirl just to keep on top of my information and make sure nothing suspect was out there. I stay on top of my credit reports and thought this would take it a step further - wow was I shocked by what I found. It returned some accurate information for me but also returned multiple states that I've NEVER resided in, people as relatives I've never heard of and said there were criminal records not only for myself but for family members that I know is absolutely not true. I knew then I wouldn't pay for this inaccurate service, clearly there is tons of false info in their reports. After seeing people did pay and then couldn't get money back/kept getting billed I clearly made the right choice!

Truthfinder response
We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I paid for and was charged for service. I have not been able to use service to date. I went to login email was correct and the password I set says it is not correct. So went to reset password. Got the email to do so and for the 8 days I have been going to reset password in each email. It will not go to the page for website for me to do so. The page is not there. I have tried everything. I would cancel service if I cannot be helped but it was very important I was able to use the service I paid for. This is very frustrating.

Truthfinder response
Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you experienced technical issues during your search, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: March 13, 2019

They have you pay for an account that you will only use once. The reports were quite inaccurate. Don't trust this scam. You try to call and you are on hold for hours unless you want to leave them a message. I am waiting for a callback currently.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 2, 2019

NEVER use a service that "forces" you into an automatic billing cycle which you cannot opt out of even if you sign up for a single one-time report. That alone makes it a scam in my mind. As to the report that I got on an individual, it was absolutely useless. The "very" limited data that I got was already easily available from free on-line searches. 90% of the report incl a local sex offender list which had nothing to do with the individual or request. Also, the education shown for a 20 something individual (I gave age and exact town location in NJ) was Jan 1900?? I HAD BETTER NOT GET BILLED AUTOMATICALLY AS I PAID FOR A SINGLE ONE TIME REPORT. If I do...I will take all appropriate actions.

Truthfinder response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Updated on 03/02/2019: I found that their service is inaccurate and damaging to a persons reputation. My son's file show's he graduated with a master's degree from the University of Rhode Island in 2012 (which would mean that he graduated with a master's degree at 15 yrs old). It also shows him with a criminal record in Rhode Island. My son has lived with me his entire life...he has never visited nor lived in Rhode Island and California. He is currently enrolled as a senior in a University in Maine. I checked other family members and friends and found that my white side of the family that had criminal records, didn't show. While my black side of the family had criminal records that they never did. All my comments I've placed for my son disappears and they refuse to correct this false information.

Original review: I was disappointed. It really didn't provide a lot of information. Most of it was old or incorrect. It showed my son with a criminal record in Rhode Island and a master's degree from University of Rhode Island. My son has never lived in Rhode Island nor California and Virginia. My son is currently a senior in college in the state where I raised him. It showed him with jobs he has never worked at. It shows someone else I know with a criminal record that states he's 5'4" when he's over 6 feet. It show most of the discrepancies and inaccuracies on my ** side of my family as opposed to my, ** family. I hope that this site isn't biased and racist.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have used this website for confirming people's addresses and other info for our church. I also use this to perform background checks on people wanting to work with kids in the church. So far, this has proven to be very helpful. I love that when I can't find the right address or phone number, I just pop open this app. Love it.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I cancelled my membership but was still charged for another month. Then I tried to log on to cancel my membership, and the log on page jumps down and won't let you log on. I will be calling their customer service to cancel today.

Truthfinder response
We apologize that you had a frustrating experience trying to cancel your membership. We will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

STOP PLAYING A ** GAME BY NOT ANSWERING TO YOUR PHONE... I really hate your poor ** customer service and lying about how great you are. Keep in mind. I spent 23$ to get my traffic ticket that I didn't get. I think you need to be an audit by the law of the United States and shut you down. I will check this review every week and I wish you remove it.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I use Truthfinder to locate family for my family's genealogy and it very seldom lets me down. I have found friends and family I Haven't seen in years. Thank you for a valuable service! I would recommend Truthfinder to anyone who is stuck and can't put the pieces of their life together!

Truthfinder response
Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

After being prompted with several questions and lead through several pages of hype about all of the info that was being gathered for me, I finally reach the final step where [as I was expecting] I was given the price for the info and the payment options which were 1) Plastic 2) PayPal. Okay fair enough. I didn't expect it to be free. And the price of around $27.00 is not an issue with me. So what is? I REFUSE TO BE FORCED TO AGREE TO AN ONGOING MONTHLY CHARGE! Yes I know you are gonna tell me I can cancel any time! But we both know that is not the case. You tell me all I have to do is call the 1-800 # from 8-5 M-F.

I already know this game. I call and talk to a computer voice and get prompted through several menus. Then I am put on hold for an hour until finally I somehow loose the connection and have to start over. But having already wasted an hour and all of my patience, I decide to give up and try again another day. But I end up forgetting and 2 months go by and... Long story short, I am stuck with a monthly debit to my account that I cannot get rid of! NO! Not playing that game!

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Truthfinder promises that users can cancel our own accounts right here on their own website: https://www.truthfinder.help/cancel/ However, this is clearly not the case. I was able to cancel the account I previously owned on this site, but for some reason they're not allowing me to cancel my current one. They never pick up their phone, and every time I try to email them on the issue, they give me some evasive response explaining that they never permanently/entirely delete records from their site. But that's not what I asked. Clearly, I'm only asking to be able to CANCEL my account the way I did before and the way they promised we can do on their own website.

I know they're deliberately playing games with me, because my first complaint was sent through my account while I was logged into it, and that first response they gave me claimed that my account was already cancelled earlier this month. But the account they were referring to (according to the date of cancellation they provided) was registered under an entirely different email address, so how did they even know that was me? Creepy. And also, why would they claim my account is already deleted when the complaint they were responding to was delivered FROM WITHIN THE ACCOUNT? It's obvious they simply holding me hostage.

All I want is to be able to simply CANCEL my account the way everyone else can, the way I was promised that I can, and the way I did before. I no longer feel safe having an active account on this site, especially after enduring all these attempts to hold me hostage despite their claims of "not being clingy" (https://www.truthfinder.help/cancel/). I will not speak in private about this, so don't even bother. I am not going to try calling again, because I have a job and I'm not always able to use my phone. I want this issue fixed. Period. I want to cancel my account. Period. Just let me go. Stop being clingy.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for any difficulties you have experienced trying to cancel your account. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Thank u for the quick report and how accurate it is finding nearly all related family. It was easy to access and a great experience. It is awesome to see how much information is in the report. I value your confidentiality.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I requested information about me. I gave them the information necessary to complete their report. After several requests for money, which I paid, I never received the report I paid for. I think it’s a scam. Fortunately it was not an expensive lesson.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

The information provided was exaggerated. Truthfinder led me to believe that the person I was searching has several criminal records. I was unable to unsubscribe because the password reset didn't work. I was on hold for hours with "customer service" and no one ever answered the phone.

Truthfinder response
We’re sorry to hear you were unable to obtain information on certain people. Our data providers are always updating their information, but some state and local governments do not release their records to the public, or they may not update their databases annually, which can create gaps in our data. A manager from our member care team will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

This service is only marginally useful. You can find most of the information they provide free of charge on other sites. Once you subscribe, it will be impossible to cancel. I was locked out of my account for months - when I tried to log on it said that there was no account under that email. They never answer their call line and don't respond to written requests to cancel. This is fraudulent in my opinion. Just don't sign up or you'll regret it.

Truthfinder response
We're so sorry that you had a frustrating experience with TruthFinder. We want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I searched several dozen people and was only able to actually locate 3. Of the three that actually returned results, the information returned was incomplete, inaccurate, and seriously outdated. I am cancelling my subscription and will NOT be using the service again. A complete waste of time and money.

Truthfinder response
We're so sorry that you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Your program does a very nice job helping to find information on the parties we are looking for to do a simple background check when needed. I consider your website to be the go to place for information. Your information was is always quite accurate and easy to understand which makes it helpful and useful in help developing and accessing our client risk.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I tried Truthfinder out several months ago, and paid for the trial with my Bank of America credit card. The system was slow, and some of the information was inaccurate. I made the decision not to use this as my way of performing background checks, as I felt that it was user-unfriendly and using it could lead to liability issues as some of the information was apparently wrong. I noticed that Truthfinder continued billing my credit card every month, and informed Bank of America of my decision not to use Truthfinder anymore. I have tried a few times to stop this billing cycle, as I don't use their "service" but somehow that did not work (that is a separate dispute with BofA).

Truthfinder tells you to call a 1-800 number. When you call the number a computer voice tells you to go online and sign-in, after which you are supposed to be able to unsubscribe. Since I had only used their "service" once several month ago, I had no idea anymore what my password was. I gave my E-mail address and received a message that they would send me a message to reconnect and that this could take a few minutes. No message was received (I waited 30 minutes). I tried again and again without success (no E-mail message was received).

I now continue to use better established services for background checks. Yes they are more expensive, but you can trust the results more and you don't get automatic billing to your credit card when you don't use the system. Last but not least, if I want to stop using a service because of quality issues, I can just tell them not to contact me anymore. Bottom-line: very bad experience and hence my recommendation to avoid them.

Truthfinder response
We hate to hear that you had a frustrating experience with TruthFinder. We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Discovered unauthorized charges by Truthfinder.com on my bank statement. Called bank and got contact number for Truthfinder. Talked with Lisa, who asked for the first 6 digits of my bank debit card number: gave me those same numbers when I refused and they were correct. Transferred to Neil, who asked for the expiration date of my debit card. Since I was on my cell and had just canceled the card, I gave him the expiration date. He advised me that they have been charging my card since May (I've had health, death, engine, other, and now fraud issues and have failed to balance my checkbook for 8 months. It has had significant funds... Sorry).

The fact is that Truthfinder has charged me 27.78 fifteen (15) times since June. I can only contest the fraudulent charges for the last 90 days. So Neil offers to reimburse me 222.24 within 3 to 5 days, and encourages me not to contest with the bank "because that will delay everything by 6 weeks"; or something to the exact same effect. Well, there are only 166.68 of fraudulent charges in the last 90 days, but that is all I am entitled to: but I am posting this so YOU know this happened.

Is it likely that a third party has my card number and never used it anywhere except twice a month at Truthfinder.com? Seems far fetched to me. I contested with my bank: an institution who I have an account with. I do not wish to work with companies that I have never heard of and who fraudulently charge my bank account. Wow. I hope to be contacted by authorities if widespread fraud is found at this company, by fraudulently charging people's accounts. Again: 6 months of fraudulent charges, all by Truthfinder.com and all in the amount of $27.78. Sound familiar? Contact your bank and request they pursue fraud investigation.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Hi. Could not find anything I was looking for, work history, anything about me other than wrong info. I need help. I will call when I can and maybe some can

talk me through this. I want to know when a company runs a background check what do they see?

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Service does do a little but keeps asking for more money if you want deeper info, which should be included with high amt you pay for this type service. Also I canceled my prescription after first month but they billed me for another month anyway, had to call my card issuer and tell them no more charges accepted by them. Will never use them again!

Truthfinder response
We apologize for your recent experience with TruthFinder. A senior member of our team will be reaching out shortly to make things right.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I can't tell you how great it is to know that my children are safe. I use this to make sure that no one in my child's life has a drug and or abuse background. It's also extremely important that I know who their friends are and are not.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I tried this "service" for info on myself to see what was out there. I got SCAMMED. After viewing the initial report from this company I decided to cancel the monthly subscription because the information was for another person that is not me! I let them know but got NO reply. Then I tried again and got very little info on myself that was FAR from complete as I know my own history! I called the 800 number provided for “help” to their customers only to be put on hold for more than an hour. I finally left my call back number TWICE after a reassuring voice told me I wouldn’t lose my place in line and someone would return my call soon. This is

Day 4 of waiting to be called back and nothing. No reply to over 6 emails as well!? The information they provide regarding cancellation stated it is easy -as long as you cancel before the next billing on your credit card. I guess if they don’t answer their phone calls there are no cancellations! Extremely frustrating and I was SCAMMED! DO NOT USE!

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for a 5 day trial. The guarantee was that I could cancel within the 5 days and there would be no charge. I tried 4 times to cancel, leaving a call back number-- they never called me. Now there is a charge on my credit card-- I will dispute.

Truthfinder response
We apologize for your recent experience with TruthFinder. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I just wish that your information included military experience. That would help narrow it down some, especially when looking for an old shipmate. Also, my FAA pilot license was not listed. Other than that, the information was very interesting. I found a few errors in my information and I think I was able to correct it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Based on the positive articles written about this company, I decided to have them run my background. If they were 15% accurate I would be more than generous. Of the 21 acquaintances they listed 2 were correct. They listed my business address as my home. I moved in and out of my existing house twice and in the interim my manufacturing business was listed as the occupant. They had me working in positions from Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin. Completely missed that I'm licensed as a CPA. Many additional errors made. Anyone thinking they will get accurate information is making a major mistake.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I want to say, steer clear of this website. I wanted to review a friend's history because I was told on DMV.ORG that I could use Truthfinder to find his traffic tickets. I started giving information and the website slowly got more and more negative saying that he's on terrorism watch lists and that he has a criminal record in three states. I (understandably I hope) got very concerned for his well being and advanced through the process to see what they had found. $22+ dollars later I get a trash report that has barely any information about him or tons of faulty information that has nothing to do with anything it had said was found about him.

I Don't want to touch on how it only says once in dismissive language at the beginning that it will cost money. I had a feeling but it strings you along getting you scared just to leave you livid and out $22 which could be used to get an authentic report at a courthouse. I wanted to like the website, it was well put together and displayed nicely. But after scaring me into a monthly service that I promptly canceled and won't get my money back I'll have to recommend to everyone I know to avoid this website LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Truthfinder expert review by Ben Mannes

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Truthfinder Company Information