3.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

206 Truthfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Truthfinder has helped me to uncover a felonious background and domestic violence charges on a potential husband. When I asked, he went into an abusive rant. Saved by the bell. Also found long lost brother. Turns out I have a sister now instead. I highly recommend Truthfinder as a self protection tool. Thank you Truthfinder.

Hi Joanne,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have been able to find everyone I needed to find and the tools were easy to use. Information was arranged and categorized well. It would be nice to find people that have died or their last known address was more than 20 years ago.

Hi Mark,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I went on to Truthfinder website to see if it would be of use to me. I okayed a $2.00 test charge which was a mistake. I ran one search as a test and decided it was not going to be worth the money. Without my knowledge or approval they billed me $27.78. I have no idea what that was for since, I did not use the service after the first test I run.

Hi Kenneth,

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. This also pertains to trials. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After clicking a bunch of questions, and finally wanting the results, the website forces me to use Facebook to get info. My Facebook account is not available to me right now. I would like to cancel my subscription. Thank you.

Hi Angela,

We’re sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience with the TruthFinder site recently. We would like to assist you in accessing your account without using Facebook. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Seems like they provide very basic information which is information you may already have. To get the information that you wanted you have to pay addition fees. I would not recommend them. To just get the basic information they have me paying a monthly fee even if I didn't use them that month.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you were unhappy with our free basic person reports. While we wish we could provide all of the information to our customers for free, we do pay to access our data sources and it costs money to maintain our website and app. Please note that, while we do require a monthly subscription to access our full reports, you can cancel at any time. Feel free to reach out if there's anything we can do to improve your experience.

TruthFinder Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

When I was looking up a number for the reverse lookup I was only able to receive the first name of the individual. I was hoping to get much more information from this. I was able receive information for where the phone number came from but I really needed a last name for verification purposes.

Hi Natalie,

We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I checked my own records out first and mine are incorrect. If mine are incorrect? Why would anyone else's be correct? And? I've lived in the same home for just under 10 years now. January 22, 2019 will be 10 full years that I've resided here... I keep forgetting to cancel because I have a Mother wth Alzheimer's that I care for 24/7 and a boyfriends with stage IV cancer that I care for as well. So, I don't think about cancelling it until I see it's come out of my bank account again. Poor service in my opinion.

My brother in law has 100% incorrect information too and it says that I live with them! I have never resided in state of CA and while I visited them once with my Mother in 2013 before her Alzheimer's prevented us from traveling again, we spent 4 days there. I've never received mail there and my address has been my legal address since the date referenced above. I would honestly like my money refunded... No one's information is accurate that I've checked... Thank you.

Hi Marilyn,

We’re sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience with the information found in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. Please contact our Customer Support team at 1-800-699-8081 so we can make things right.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Waste of money. Whenever I get prompts that there is new information, I am unable to get the new information unless I pay more money. This is a come-on and I am displeased with the service so discontinued it. There is nothing gained by paying the monthly fee.

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you were unhappy with our free basic person reports. While we wish we could provide all of the information to our customers for free, we do pay to access our data sources and it costs money to maintain our website and app. Please reach out if there's anything we can do to improve your experience.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

For three years the death of my friend Delores ** of Melbourne FL has not been reflected in the Truthfinder search. Overall I enjoy finding birthdays of friends and otherwise checking on whereabouts of old friends. Also like to find names and addresses of friends children, where they live, check to see if they have a bad driving record. I was able to locate a woman I worked with in New Jersey over 30 years ago.

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081. In regards to your late friend - since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete data.

Thanks again,

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Was disappointed at the lack of relationship information-names of spouses, children, what year retired, current domicile, etc. The information you give is thorough, just not broad enough for me. As is, your site is of very little interest to me, unfortunately.

Hi Lucy,

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Excellent yet I did see other background-check sites, that didn't charge extra for emails etc. I cannot afford more than (1) month. I obtained excellent data! Furnished Perfectly--GREAT!! Very Helpful. No errors - well put-together. Wish was cheaper, I'd continue on... Drop the price, I will continue!!! OFFER BETTER PRICE - need affordability.

Hi Barbara,

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been using TruthFinder since last September and this one has the Best information out of all others and easy to read. I tell everyone to try this one for the most information if they want to check someone out. Thanks!

Hi Rhonda,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I purchased a one month subscription to look up one person. The results were good. However, I have been billed for the past additional 7 months! I have called and requested that my credit card stop being charged and to refund the additional months that I did not sign up for. The customer service rep was polite, but useless. I can’t stop the charges every month to my credit card. I have not received any refund. Calling does not resolve my problem. My options at this point is to contact the California Dept of Consumer Affairs and to close my credit card account. That creates a lot of trouble for me that I should not have to go through. My credit card charges me 17.44% interest so that is another issue I have. Be careful of giving this company your credit card info. Once they get it you can’t stop them from charging your account month to month.

Hi Michael,

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system and cancelling your account. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Found the new address for our neighbor, who moved. We are glad this was so easy. We shared garden tips and we missed a lot of friendly times together. This was easier than using the new phone book. Now we can still keep in touch with them. Thank you.

Hi Mary,

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

My ex and his previous wives and girlfriends are listed as "relatives" of mine. I have found numerous errors and incorrect information that he made up or names attached to mine which I have never used. I called the customer service department and was told information could not be changed. I was given a run around about when I had used this service and even though they verified I had paid $1 to try this service, they refused to help me correct information. I will never use this "service" again and regret wasting even $1 since they wouldn't stand behind their product. How can my ex put information out about me being related to his ex wives and girlfriends, but I can't get anything corrected. This man ruined my life and believe me, in Texas you can't get an annulment at my age without proving fraud, which I did. I think this company is totally bogus and is helping a fraud continue to perpetuate a fraud on me.

Hi Sandra,

We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. Additionally due to us not owning the data, we cannot correct the information. We do, however, offer the opportunity to opt your report out of our system. We will reach out to you privately to further explain and resolve this.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Phone lookup has been inaccurate thus far. And info on people lags by several months to years. However, I have found that the checks do inform me as to whether I want them near my granddaughter or myself. Thanks.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. We’re happy to hear that our service has helped to keep you and your granddaughter safe. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Not bad but I wasn't going to pay extra to get the right person when there was 2 or more names were the same and the same age. This would have cost me a small fortune since there were at least 10 names that had doubles. I also like the old timeline where you could figure out which was the right name due to past information we had.

Hi Pat,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback.

We wanted to let you know that we offer a monthly membership that offers unlimited searches and report views, so for 1 price, you can view as many reports as you would like, instead of purchasing each individual report. We find that this helps our customers out when they are searching for someone with a common name.

If you are interested in this membership (which can be cancelled at any time), you can reach out to our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

TRUTHFINDER does not offer cross referencing when searching for the history of a person. You would think that if you were looking for a person and knew of the siblings then you could narrow the search. Truthfinder gives you a massive list with a wide range of people, places and ages. I have been meaning to cancel my subscription. Thanks for the reminder!

Hi Andy,

We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Our reports provide possible associates, which generally include family members and some close friends, offering additional ways to locate a specific person. Although, since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I try and look up people and you can't much information... If I need to search further it's always another cost... The amount of money a month, it's really not that usable... Thinking about shutting it down due to not being able to get updated material and it's always more cost constantly to see what you need to view... Almost a scam.

Hi Pamela,

We apologize you were unhappy with our membership pricing the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have used Truthfinder for 2 years now and have found they have gradually taken information away and request additional fees to see it. I have enjoyed being able to look up people but have also found that it isn't always accurate. The information you receive on Truthfinder is probably available free if you have time to research, unfortunately, I do not.

Hi Ronda,

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been with Truthfinder for 3 years. I have always found the information I've been looking for, plus extra. This is the best company by far for finding personal information. I would definitely recommend Truthfinder to everyone.

Hi Michele,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service has continued to help you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This service is satisfactory. However, it would be really convenient if there were a means to have the system to perform a routine check to verify that there has been "no status change" since the last report - for specific individuals. As it is, it is necessary to revisit the site routinely to look for status changes.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. We wanted to let you know that TruthFinder does offer report monitoring, so that you can receive a notification when any updates occur to a specific report. You can toggle this feature on and off at the top of a report, just below the PDF download button.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Amazing! Spot on! Definitely would use again, and recommend to anyone who asks me. Worth the money. Found out a lot I wouldn't have known. But, it's all good now and the truth will set you free. Check it out.

Hi Kim,

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We were being charged four different accounts a 39.99 a month. We were able to cancel 2 and get one reduced to 17.00 a month. One we are still being charged for. We are unable to find an account no for it.

Hi Carl,

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system and account set up. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have used several of these type of services, but this is the best by far. No need to use anything else. The information is extremely accurate and very current. I would recommend this to anyone looking for someone or just wanting to check them out.

Hi Joyce,

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Not really happy with the results obtained from searches I have done. They contain a lot of information about people I am not interested in and not enough information on people I am trying to look up. Everything cost extra money and I feel, at least from advertising about Truthfinder, it isn't completely open and correct. Sorry, but think I will be cancelling and looking at one of the other web sites.

Hi Ronald,

We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2018

The company has responded, and has returned my money today. I want to thank ConsumerAffairs for your help in this matter, and I thank TruthFinder for doing the right thing.

Roalf **

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

On 10/02/2018 your company charged my debit card $27.78 for service I did not request, so I immediately emailed, and chatted with your representative to get this matter straightened out, and my money returned to my bank card account. As of this day your company has not returned the money you charged to my debit

card on 10/02/2018. In September, I logged into your website to get information, and I gave your company my debit card info to pay for that information. The amount was $27.78 which you deducted immediately. And then in October you deducted the same amount from my account again. How dare you to take my money without my authorization, just because I gave you my bank information for the purchase in September. RETURN MY MONEY TO MY ACCOUNT...

Hi Roalf

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I requested few reports but all were very accurate, complete and useful. The only thing that was hard to deal with was the quality of similar persons, that is not a system´s problem, but a real thing that need to be handled maybe by adding another qualification characteristic, other than age/location.

Hi Daniel,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I love the new Timeline. Suggested Improvements: Selection often does not show 'deceased' even when the timeline does. It would be great to search for a relationship such as when Jones marries Smith. Have an optional middle name, city on the primary search page.

Hi Wayland,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I don't even know how much money I paid for this service, I do know that it was way too much! I never ever got a full or complete report on anybody. I was very disappointed. The information I found out was not important, or I was not able to pull it up.

Hi Karen,

We’re sorry to hear you weren’t satisfied with our reports. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but sometimes we are limited to what our data providers give us. We apologize and will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Truthfinder expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Truthfinder is an online public record search service. Use it to find information about neighbors, sex offenders, friends, online buyers and sellers and more. Price depends on which membership package you choose but the Truthfinder website says you can get unlimited background check reports for less than $20 per month.

• People search: Truthfinder lets you search public records for free. This free service lets you find peoples name, location, phone number, current and previous addresses, occupation and more. People search integrates with your voice activated device like Siri and Echo. For example, you can tell Siri, “Truthfinder John Smith” and it will automatically look up the spoken name.

• Criminal records: Use Truthfinder to look up criminal records such as felony offenses, misdemeanors traffic court records, sex offenders and more. The most common crimes Truthfinder looks up include property crime, larceny, burglary and violent crimes.

• Reverse phone search: Truthfinder lets you input a persons phone number to get personal information such as social media accounts and location. Once you input the phone number, Truthfinder gathers a report that can be emailed to you once you put in your name and email address.

• Pricing: Truthfinder offers a one-month membership for less than $30 per month. This lets you run unlimited standard background reports. A three-month subscription breaks down to about $26 per month. Truthfinder also has a plan that lets you look up an unlimited number of phone numbers for $2 per month. You can pay using a credit card or PayPal.

• Best for: consumers wanting to look up information about friends, family members, neighbors and buyers and sellers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs