2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

TruthFinder

TruthFinder
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.45/5

Truthfinder allows you to uncover tons of information on anyone within the United States. You can also check up on old friends, investigate online date information, reconnect with family members, and even check yourself.

BOTTOM LINE

TruthFinder customers pay a fee to receive detailed reports with a person’s contact information, social media profiles, education, jobs, possible associates and more.

PROS

• Unlimited reports
  • Mobile app
  • Detailed reports

CONS

• Must buy full month
  • No trial period

Top TruthFinder Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Truthfinder was very helpful in solving questions about a few persons of interest that I have been dealing with for a long time. I find Truth Finder to be very accurate in their descriptions of the individuals ... helping me keep myself safe from Scams and Fraud in my every day dealings.

This is a great way to find old school friends that you lose contact with. Truthfinder is user friendly and a quick way to locate anyone. Would use this again. I would recommend this to family and friends if they wanted to locate someone they have lost contact with.

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of TruthFinder and does not offer background check services. Per the TruthFinder terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. TruthFinder does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is TruthFinder?

TruthFinder is a search tool and background check service that lets you find nearly anyone in the U.S. by name, address, phone number or email address.

You can use the service to reconnect with family and friends or to view a person’s criminal history. You can also run a report on yourself if you want to see what information is available about you online. You cannot use the platform to screen employees, domestic workers, tenants or people who provide professional services, including tutors or doctors.

TruthFinder searches millions of public records and social network data across the United States and compiles all the information into one report. The report includes items like:

• Birth and death records
  • Possible relatives
  • Possible associates, friends, roommates or former romantic partners
  • Detailed location information (current and former addresses)
  • Contact information
  • Education and jobs
  • Social media profiles and dating profiles
  • Assets, including owned properties and driven vehicles
  • Criminal history, arrest reports and traffic records

Pulling a report on TruthFinder is anonymous, so no one will be notified when you perform a search or request a report for a particular person. The company has a free mobile app available in the Apple App Store or Google Play so you can make searches on the go.

TruthFinder cost

Requesting and receiving reports on TruthFinder requires a membership.

A one-month plan with TruthFinder costs around $28 per month. This fee lets users request unlimited standard background checks. Members can save money by purchasing a two-month plan for $46. TruthFinder does not allow customers to pay for a single report, and you must call the company’s member care department to cancel your membership.

TruthFinder FAQ

Is TruthFinder free?
No, currently there isn’t a free version or free trial of TruthFinder. Most reputable background check services are not free.
How far does TruthFinder go back?
Results vary by person, but some reports go as far back as 15 years.
Can you do a background check with a phone number?
Yes. Through the company’s reverse phone lookup feature, you can search a phone number and receive relevant background information, including name, social media profiles, possible email addresses and locations.
Is TruthFinder accurate?
Yes. The more information you can provide, though, the more accurate your results are likely to be.
How do I cancel my TruthFinder account?
To terminate service, users must call the TruthFinder member care department.

Is TruthFinder legitimate?

TruthFinder is a great tool for connecting long-lost family members or friends, but the company charges a monthly fee and requires you to call the member care department to cancel. As long as the product isn’t used for malicious purposes, it’s a helpful resource that lets you find family, friends or former colleagues. We recommend TruthFinder for its extensive reports, accuracy and affordable pricing.

TruthFinder Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruthFinder?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: June 15, 2020

I canceled this service because I no longer needed it. My wife had dementia and would sometimes get online to order something or get trapped in a scam. She had a big heart and I had to be sure she was not harmed nor our limited finances. After I checked on what she did, I would run a background check, previously by another company, but found TruthFinder dug a little deeper. One way or the other, not going into details here, I would cancel what she had done and the next day she would remember nothing and we would set the next round of events. She just recently died and I am now continuing to clean up. With her gone, I no longer need this type of service. She was my little red Ferrari racing down the highway of life and I was the 18 Wheeler closing her back door. I still have a few doors to close. Thank you for the service and many thanks to the agent who handled this call.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

A debt company from out west started sending my aged father a demand for payment for an alleged property that he and my mother purchased and owned in State College, PA, and they were in default with their mortgage loan!! I knew that the unit they lived in was always RENTAL property. I did call the company and explained that there must be a mistake. After contacting the company for this so-called mortgage loan that they were trying to collect on, that correspondence ceased. A few months later, my father again received information about property he and my mother DID own 30 years earlier. But, when my mother lost her job, they had to file for bankruptcy. Because of information from TRUTH FINDER, I was able to submit the legal absolution from the bankruptcy and told the company NEVER to contact my father again!!! I thank you, that you gave both my father and I peace of mind.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My fourteen year old grandson had not heard from his father in thirteen years. For legal reasons, we needed to contact the father. We had no luck online until we found Truthfinder. It gave us a bucket load of accurate information that included the name and address of my grandson's paternal grandmother, the father's address, email, etc. PLUS the father's extensive arrest record. This helped us to be able to contact the father to resolve the legal issue as well as an emotional one for my grandson. None of the information was used against anyone. It simply gave us access to the father. Since this was a one time issue and due to my own limited income, I chose not to renew for the following month. True to Truthfinder's word, cancellation was easy and completed within minutes. The bonus came when I learned Truthfinder could continue to be used for the remainder of the month at no further charge.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I am generally satisfied with the service provided by TruthFinder. However, I keep getting emails from TruthFinder that are addressed to Andrew (and not Robert), as was the case with the email that linked to this review. What happened was that when I first signed up for the service a number of years ago, and had entered my late grandfather's name as the first person's record I wanted to search, I was subsequently prompted with a checkbox labeled "This is me". I did not think it was referencing the person I wanted to search, but rather asking me if I was who I said I was in my account information... like an "I am not a robot" feature. So I checked the box to indicate that yes, this was me. Since then, the emails I've been receiving from TruthFinder have been addressing me as Andrew (my grandfather's name).

I also began receiving -- and continue to receive -- unwanted emails from other companies that apparently get their information from TruthFinder soliciting my purchase of their products or services and also addressing me as Andrew. I really wish this problem can be corrected so that I am correctly addressed as Robert in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I utilized Truthfinder in order to locate an address I needed for a family in Georgia. It was great, as the information I needed was quickly identified and delivered. HOWEVER... like many other companies more interested in money than client satisfaction, you get set up as a recurring Truthfinder customer immediately. I find this abhorrent, as usually an ongoing subscription is not needed. Why not give a choice for a SINGLE MONTH? Be responsible instead of greedy. From my perspective, income a company receives as a result of ongoing subscriptions that a client does not honestly need or want, is fueled by business practices that are solely about money, not about service to the greater good. Today, it is critical that companies evaluate who they are, what they have to offer, and how they can operate in a sustainable way that serves both the company, - and the community, ethically. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Dwight was super helpful and gave me the information I needed and helped me with a friendly attitude! I was really satisfied with the service and will be sure to tell friends about TruthFinder! Great job Dwight! Well done.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Very helpful in upgrading my credit card. I would recommend your services to a friend I have used your services for the past 4 years, and I will continue to do so. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I had many questions and paid the bill and the woman who helped me was extraordinarily helpful. I’ve been in public service many years and you should replicate her. She was excellent and I completely understood I had a. Bad day and she made it good.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

The service took a long time to run. I was offered all kinds of deals and upgrades prior to being able to view the report. When I finally paid and received my report there was no recent and relevant data on the individual I was searching. Other sources confirmed there were search warrants outstanding, etc. Would not recommend Truthfinder.

TruthFinder response
    We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.
    Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Some of the information I questioned and wanted to investigate more but it wouldn't let me view the information. Also I thought it would provide dates or years that I resided at address but it just listed them. Lastly I used TruthFinder for DMV information but nothing was provided.

TruthFinder Company Information