1.03/5

Need a background check company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

894 MyLife Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

A friend came across my information on the MyLife site, and because of the appalling amount of incorrect and libelous information it contained, he promptly sent me a link to it. About 90% of the information is blatantly incorrect, including the assertion that I have criminal, civil and bankruptcy records - Wrong on all three, unless my one and only speeding ticket from 2001 counts as a criminal record, which is now nearly two decades old.

They were correct about my name, my DOB and the city I currently live in, but I've had no affiliation with seven of the nine "previously lived in..." cities and states they listed. The site is a joke, publishing what appears to be completely manufactured falsehoods in an attempt to draw attention to the site for ad revenue purposes.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Accidentally came upon my personal, largely incorrect information today and promptly called. The goal was to request removal of all data for privacy reasons. Waited 30 min for promised 'live' help. Finally, '1st in line', on the verge of help, the line summarily disconnected. Not apparently by accident. MyLife is poorly reviewed, deservedly so. It must be enjoined from further operations by the CA Attorney General until and unless it is reforms its operations.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 22, 2019

This site needs to be shut down. It says I may have an arrest or criminal records. I DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE. if someone Googles me for a job and clicks on this you think they're going to call? This is disgusting.. Get rid of this site.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have seen many issues on false info on Mylife.com. That includes me. My jaw dropped when I saw mine. I have contacted Google to drop them. No one should have to endure this! That can cause serious damage to many people. There must be legal action with immediate effect.

Original review: March 22, 2019

MyLife just is the most bogus and incorrect source of information and is using it to make money from people. It's a scam company and needs to be shut down with legal action. So they are using this strategy to spoil people and their reputation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MyLife?

Original review: March 21, 2019

Just found out about this website today and looked up my background. I do not know any of the associates listed and there is a "Alert: Court Records" on my profile. I do not have, nor ever had any court issues. MyLife.com riddled with inaccuracies.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I decided to purchase "MyLife" for myself. It did have some correct addresses and phone numbers. Then I wondered why they give this written bio that everyone is good and give me a 2.6? If everyone is good why not a 5? Then if someone writes something bad, take away points. They have no right to judge me or my reputation. No one I know uses this site or writes reviews to make my score higher, so it appears something is wrong.

I have worked at the same job for 20 years, highest credit score possible and they are listing dead people as people I may know. Then to scare you "they send emails stating "they have found out something critical in my background check". I just ran and paid for the report and it was a speeding ticket from 2 years ago. Then they have a section "trying to get you to purchase" incarceration and public information, Again, why is a speeding ticket under the heading incarceration. I tried calling and was on hold for 30 minutes, when I was in the number 1 position, they disconnected the call. This review is based on my recent experience.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This company provides false information to the public. They allow you to edit certain things, but nothing crucial. Information I would like kept private from my abuser is out there for him to see. They have me "related" to people I have never met and they have me employed by someplace I have never worked. They also say I have a criminal record, which I do not. My abuser has a higher "reputation" score than I do, even with his multiple court records. Someone should really start a class action lawsuit against this company for defamation of character.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used this site once to do a background check on myself and signed up for a subscription several months ago. They charged my credit card $83 in January, the regular subscription amount in February and then twice for the subscription in March. I had to call to cancel the subscription and asked why they charged me twice and what the $83 charge was for. The gentleman on the phone said, "That's what you signed up for." I said, there must be some confusion. He said, "YOU are confused." I told him to cancel my subscription immediately and that MyLife misrepresents what they deliver and what their charging policies are. He said, "You have your confirmation number ma'am. I'm sorry you are confused." I wanted others to know that this product misrepresents what they deliver. I have gotten no value out of this product. The background check on myself only contained information that I could have gotten free by other means.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Read all of the other reviews from the over 300 people on ConsumerAffairs in just this past year alone and that speaks for itself. Anyone who does not like you can post false and nasty slanderous information, which is illegal, especially when it is not true. They should be shut down. They are the lowest scum predatory company.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This kind of posting people's personal data for profit type of companies should not be existing. Making profit out of our personal data is shameless. I hope they will be shut down soon. America needs to have the same strict standards in terms of privacy as Europe. Online companies keep selling personal data to back door profit is disgusting. I try to minimize my personal data disclosure, but it is disgusting to see companies like MyLife will try everything to post it without our permission first.

Instead we have to contact MyLife to opt out and it is very difficult to do it, they will even send an army of associates to text you (because they also have your phone number) to harass you by saying 'someone just reviews you, click on the following link'. And what the heck is that 'reputation score'? We live our whole life, no need for MyLife to determine who we are and how good we are. Really shallow. I hope federal government will soon investigate MyLife and put an end to this thug company.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have asked them three times to pull down my information but every time someone looks me up, it puts my name back on their site. Some of the information is correct however they are making up my salary which is not public information. Isn't this illegal?

Original review: March 17, 2019

This company has published false information about me. I have to pay them if I want them to "manage" my reputation and remove the false information. This is so shady and unethical. How is this legal??

Original review: March 16, 2019

They listed false information about me. They said I was related to an individual that rented my Post Office box. I closed my PO Box and then another person rented it. That doesn't mean we're related! They can't even get accurate/factual information about me. How do they have the right to give me a reputation score I've tried to delete my account 2 times and each time the representative claims they'll send an email confirmation. I have yet to see an email. Now, I'll have to call a 3rd time and wait 24 minutes to speak to a representative. Yes! I'd like to be involved with a class action suit.

Original review: March 16, 2019

How are they allowed to show my information that is not public records and then rate me as a person? Unbelievable! If there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit, then there really should be. I know that I am not the only person upset with this obviously. So what can we do to make this change?

Original review: March 16, 2019

All of my personal information, that I always protect, is being displayed for all to see. I don't even understand how they got it. With all of these complaints, why hasn't MyLife been shut down yet? Count me in for the class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Class Action Lawsuit is needed for MyLife.com. This website needs to be taken down. How dare these people put my personal information on their website THAT IS NOT PUBLIC. This MyLife website is a breeding ground for identity theft. One stop shop for web criminals with NEGATIVE inaccuracies that any crazy stalker idiot could have access too. I am OUTRAGED that these morons have the nerve to rate me as a person on top of telling everybody my age. I'm contacting an attorney immediately to shut those idiots down. I AM TOTAL PISSED.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I saw an advertisement for a one month trial for a dollar. I entered my credit card info, then read over the offer before submitting my info. When I saw I was agreeing to be billed monthly for 20-some dollars after the first month, I removed my card information and didn't submit my enrollment. The next day, a $1 charge from MyLife appeared on my card - even though I never processed my enrollment request! I called the company to see what was going on. I got a recording counting down my place in line, and how many minutes I would be on hold. I was caller number 26, with a 45 minute wait. Forty minutes later I was caller number one, and the next available rep would speak to me. Ten minutes later, I was disconnected. I called back. GUESS WHAT?? I was caller number 26, with a 45 minute wait!!!

After a long countdown, I was once again caller number one, who would be served by the next available rep. After about ten minutes of being caller number one, I was disconnected again. DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE. Don't even THINK about signing up for this service. They say if you sign up you can call and cancel at any time. Yeah - right. If you try to call and cancel, you'll just wait for 45 minutes or so, and then be disconnected. And they'll enroll you even if you don't finish processing an enrollment request.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I waited on hold for 34 minutes. Listening to them count down how many people were in front and me and how long my wait would be. When it was my turn, it hung up on me. I am sure calling back would be a waste of time.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I really don’t appreciate this site providing false information because a lot of these employers do background on proposed employees. I have never been charged with any sexual conduct and never was a suspect so I don’t know where that came from. I don’t have 6 arrests. Don’t know where you get these supposed alias. I was married then divorced... I have never even seen half these names you reported. Also relatives over half these people I don’t know and the phone numbers and addresses either. This is crazy and I am looking for a lawyer for defamation of character. Stop ruining people’s lives and reputation... Actually all these sites that supposedly report history should be banned because most of it provides false and leading personal information. I would have rated no stars but would not allow you to submit concerns without at least giving one star.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was looking for a high school acquaintance and decided to test the site to see how accurate it was. My report shows a “poor” reputation, several liens and bankruptcies, a “criminal record, a few cars I don’t own, inaccurate estimates of yet worth and income and the wrong job. None of the above is correct, of course. The next day I get an e-mail offering to “hide” my terrible reputation, for a price. Needless to say, I simply unsubscribed from their e-mail and put them where they belonged - in the SPAM folder. That cost me nothing. Basically they are crooks - and bad ones at that!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I stumbled across this site and entered my name just to see what kind of personal information it shows. I was floored in disbelief when I saw all the lies, like criminal record. I have no criminal record! What if a potential employer goes to the same website and believes what they see listed there?!? The people I have never heard of linked to my name. Unbelievable that these guys are in business with this scam (I believe people have to pay to remove that information, what a scam!). I am furious. And not only that but they showed up on top of the Google's search page! So Google is my next stop, although if these cheating scumbags pay a lot in advertising I may be in for another big disappointment. Nevertheless, getting these scammers (and their affiliates) off the Internet is my new life's purpose. It is people and companies like these that will ruin the Internet for all of us.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Not thrilled to have my birthdate, address, marital status, voting party, relatives, relatives of relatives and mainly anybody I have OR might have come in contact with ever! What is next? Social security numbers!?? This is an extreme violation of personal information. It's not even funny! How is this legal with fraud and scams always on the rise? Bring on the lawsuit!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was looking for an old neighbor whom I lost contact. I found her on Mylife.com & the profile said she died. Her profile listed people "supposed" family & associates, I being one of them. Upon clicking my name, it also listed people I "supposedly" knew as family/friends, but one person lived & died in my building before I lived there! The others were "just" neighbors. The profile suggested that my old neighbor, I, and our friends/family "may" have court cases, liens, criminal/sexual offenses, bankruptcies, evictions, & social media accounts.

It also list family members names, with "alert!" typed in red, suggesting court cases, criminal... All of these "insinuations" to "bait" people to be curious enough to purchase nothing for "MyLife" owners financial gain. Pitiful!!! The only correct info., was the name age, d.o.b & telephone number. This is a dangerous website. They are selling "insinuations" & "maybes". Don't waste your time or money. Don't become prey to greedy predators! Warning, this website seems misleading.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Just like everyone else. Ripped off a lot of money then they charged me to get a refund. I caught on when the Indian guy said his name is Harry. I laughed then cancelled my debit card. This has been a big eye opener for me me. They only got 119$ for a 1$ trial within 3 minutes yes of me getting it. Their day is coming quickly. With e redone on here we could roll them right out of business but what's the use? They quick-witted. They'll just find another way to scam people. Make them public everywhere. In tv it'll slow them down a little.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Not long ago I was going to various websites that aggregate personal information on people from public records and following all of their opt-out procedures, just as a general privacy measure. When I got to MyLife.com, I followed the opt-out process they said they follow, then weeks later I get a response from one of their employees. Their complete cop-out response included the following: "Unfortunately the information on your Public Background page cannot be removed as it is gathered from public records, government, and other public sources..."

This is obviously a lie, MyLife.com's owner Jeffrey Tinsley CAN remove anybody's information at will, he simply chooses not to. And... unlike every other similar service out there... he insists that you pay for a monthly membership to his otherwise-useless service in order to opt-out. While they might be following the letter of the law, this is the definition of extortion. It is a freakishly antisocial business model, to put a service out there that people want no part of, force the entire public at-large into participating, and then extorting them into paying your bills, just for the privilege of being able to NOT take part in your service.

People should be decent human beings, even when the law allows for them to be less-than... a lesson Jeffrey Tinsley apparently never learned. I don't particularly care all that much about having this profile out there, but this incredibly pessimistic and antisocial business model really rubbed me the wrong way. It is a shame we are forced to share a society with people like this, who care only to enrich themselves, who value only the acquisition of wealth and completely overlook any intrinsic value of providing something of value to others in exchange for their income.

The people who REALLY lose out in all of this, are the lower-level public figures, who do not have all that much money, and for whom having their personal information made readily available to the public at-large presents a genuine threat to their safety. Those people are, without a doubt, the ones who keep Tinsley's lights on, and pay his rent. It is sickening, and despite operating in a legal gray area, it is no better than making a living off of criminally scamming people.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Help! Mylife.com stole my dead mother identity & shamed her name, & their many profiles. At first I thought it was just me but go to their FB you can see others crying out for help. Now I know it is them. I called them & they wouldn't help me file a report on who did it and now I know why. It is them. I found four files with her name! I hope you read this cause this was devastating to see my mom there, cause for a split second, I had hope she was alive somehow. She died in 95, & it felt like that day all over again. I just sent the paragraph above to CNN! Don from CNN, and many more will follow. I would love to stare them in the face, in court, and tell them exactly what it felt like to see my Dead Mom again. She died 95! And I have all the screenshots before they did remove that particular one. I want to fight them till the end.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Upon a Google search, I found this company to have a profile on me. When I clicked on it, it showed a red warning triangle and text in red stating that I had an arrest or criminal record. I am 47 years old, an upstanding citizen in my community, and have never - I repeat never - been arrested of a crime. How this type of libel can exist is beyond me. With all of the other complaints I see here, I fail to see why there hasn't already been a class action lawsuit brought forth or why they haven't been shut down! Despicable.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I attempted to call MyLife Customer service two times today to report totally inaccurate information about me. The first time I held for an hour, only to get to "next in line" and be disconnected. Again, this happened twice. Since This happened twice today, I wasted 120 minutes of my day! I would love to send "them" a bill! They list dozens of people who are not related to me at all. They defame character and reputation without proof or evidence.

The only review I see on my profile is theirs but they give me less than a 1 rating?? For what? I am a person of ethics and good character. I have never been arrested. All of my social media has good reviews. Where do they get this stuff from? Unreliable sources? Ex-boyfriends? If you are going to call yourself a reputable company, check your facts!! Stop destroying lives and people's ability to make a living for their family. Have some ethics!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am in the Executive Search business and I use several background check software companies every week. I heard about MyLife and checked them out. I compared their report with information I know to be true on 5 people. MyLife had published wrong information about all of them, 5 out of 5. So I checked my own and they don't even have my name right and it gets worse from there. You have to pay a fee to change the info and from what others are saying that doesn't work. Total scam. I would be willing to join a class action suit to shut them down.

MyLife Company Information