1.00/5
Based on 146 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?

Last updated: May 21, 2018

595 MyLife Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

What a shady and useless company. What kind of people allow anonymous reviews of a person's life. Posting the scores for all to see as if these are real people with real names that know the person they are trashing. It is shameful and disgusting this is even allowed to operate just to make money off this crap!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I stumbled across this site and discovered there was a profile for me that had been created. In reading through it, I discovered that someone anonymously posted a slanderous comment about me that was not only false but was heinous. In order to research this more, I had no choice but to subscribe to a premium account so I could investigate what else was there. I immediately contacted MyLife, asked how this was allowed to happen and they confirmed that they do in fact allow people to post whatever they want about you, without any type of verification, and do not flag any inappropriate or hateful comments. Beware! They immediately offered to refund the amount I paid for my subscription, and deleted the profile entirely. I am happy they did that, but it does not resolve this dangerous flaw in their site. Once again, beware!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I was researching criminal activity on my granddaughter's father; I knew of three priors and was checking for additional ones. They charged me twice to get the "premium" package (i.e. criminal records). The search came up with NO criminal activity, ever, even though his most current run-in was less than six months ago. They also rated him "good" even though he has no job, no place to live, is using drugs and is over a year behind in child support payments. The information was worse than knowing nothing: it implied that he is a solid member of the community and can be trusted. Their "customer service" is a joke.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I was shocked to see 100% false claims when I did a search on myself. I actually called them to ask how they get away with this and all they wanted to talk about was signing me up $$ so I could go in and "fix" my public profile. The rep was reading his script and continued to avoid my questions. Then he tried to sweeten the deal and said he could give me a special 30% discount to sign up just because I called. All he cared about was the money. This man and his site need to be brought down. I was happy to read that efforts are being made to do this. What it comes down to is a man and his scam to get money from good people and he obviously doesn't have a problem with creating blatant lies to do so.

Original review: May 13, 2018

When I subscribed to Mylife.com, I asked for information on a person I have known for about 30 years, but did not have the person's current status. Mylife.com had the person's name and age correct, but they said the person was single and I knew for a fact the person had been married for thirty years and is still married. Mylife.com also gave a bogus email address and did not list any relatives which was totally bogus because I know of the person's husband, daughters, son, and mother: all living. I spent $18. 95 for one month of Mylife.com service, and I realize now it was a scam. Sorry: no order number, receipt, or images. Order was placed on 5-8-2018 for a charge of $18.95.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MyLife?

Original review: May 7, 2018

In a red flag the site says there is negative information regard to legal action. This is impossible and I'm required to pay to get specifics which I refuse to do. I'm filing a police report for harassment and a complaint to state Atty General.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have previously asked this company (one of MANY) to remove any and all information regarding my name and any forms of it. It was removed... Temporarily. I found my name AGAIN with even more inaccuracies. I have ONCE AGAIN asked to be removed, PERMANENTLY! They, once again, DO NOT have ANY of my permission and/or consent and have been told so, at least TWICE.

I also found “Debbie ** in Belvidere, Il. Birthdate: **.” on their lists. This woman has been deceased since 1989, nearly 29 years ago she passed away. Yet, they are still trying to “sell” and/or “advertise” her personal information, or misinformation. (Mostly misinformation, similar to mine again right now.) How can THAT even be legal? I made copies of her entire file. I find this REPUGNANT AND REPULSIVE business behavior and find it even harder to believe this would be legal. I find this “company” is truly slanderous, deplorable, etc., among many other unfavorable adjectives. I “thought” we as American Citizens had a RIGHT to our privacy?! This once again, makes me feel VERY unsafe!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My only "crimes" in life have been a couple of traffic tickets (I've been driving a long time) and 1 divorce. I have never filed for bankruptcy or had liens and I've certainly never been arrested. How does MyLife get away with claiming on the first search result page that they found criminal or arrest records for me? That's liable, and it sounds like they do this for a lot of people (probably gets them a lot of purchases of bogus reports). It's criminal.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My issues are just like the rest. I signed up to look for an old friend's phone number and the MyLife came up. Got sucked in and didn’t even know I was creating a account that would be charged monthly. Most of the information is inaccurate, and when I called to cancel them I asked to speak to someone in America and they hung up on me. Called again and was able to get the charges reversed. This company is a scam.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have encountered the same issues as the other reviews listed. Interestingly, sometimes when I would search my name it came up as GOOD, and other times it states I have a criminal record and is POOR. Now, if this is the case, you cannot tell me their information is inaccurate. In addition, I worked in healthcare for 20 plus years where they do a background check every 6 months, so ultimately, this falsifying information should be enough to sue these people. Totally bizarre. It's so sad this is what the world has chosen as our new norm, that in itself IS poor character on their part.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This site came up when I was looking for information about my ex husband. The information provided by www.mylife.com is inaccurate. It has me as having a bad reputation, having a criminal history, a nursing career. I could go on and on. How do they get away with this malicious slandering of people?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Somehow I came upon this site and checked my name. It has me listed as having a criminal record. I HAVE NEVER EVEN HAD A TICKET!!! It obviously doesn't believe that there can be twins. I have nicknames (supposedly) but they are my twin sister's name. Her former addresses are listed under my name. She is not even listed in MyLIfe because they have decided we are one person. I wish I could sue them for defamation of character. What a ripoff website. I am a teacher for goodness sake! Do you think I could teach with a criminal record?! What idiots.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I decided to look myself up for the fun of it. It describes me as having bankruptcies, arrests and having a poor score. I have not had any of these. I have a FICO score of 835! This is a scam. How are they allowed to spread and show completely false data on people? Isn't that illegal?

Original review: April 23, 2018

I got charged $12,99 for nothing after doing a 3-day trial to see what kind of information was there about me. I got charged because I was trying for a few days to call and cancel and nobody was answering the phone! What a SCAM! All the info I found there is false and not accurate at all! This is ridiculous!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had a friend searching for me online as they had lost my information. Once they got back in contact they were asking me all kinds of strange questions. Come to find out this stupid website had my information and A LOT was wrong and made me look like a criminal. Then I paid to see the additional information they had about me... WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION from 1995 and so much was wrong! I don't have social media for the fact I don't want any of my personal business online and these dummies just post it as if it's what anyone wants or no one will care. They need to be removed/taken down. Why complain about Facebook? This is MUCH WORSE!

Original review: April 20, 2018

They show information that is partly correct and partly incorrect. Confidential information (such as a birth date) is displayed publicly. They want to charge a lot of money to let you join the site, and even then, there is no easy way to remove yourself or to correct the false information. The monthly membership that lets you search unlimited people, actually gives you information to only one "premium report", so whatever information you find is just the same junk they would show to people without memberships. The one "premium report" I could get, that supposedly would show all kinds of information, such as social media profiles, work history, etc., didn't show anything, even though that information is extremely easy to find just by searching on Google.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Displays sometimes false info to get payment for "removal": Did a search of my name and MyLife was on the first page of results displaying more information than I wanted in a casual search. No opt out or correction is possible at least without paying for a year of service.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Would like my name taken off this site. Incorrect information was put on there and I don't want personal information out there. This should be illegal for anyone to start these sites without approval!! Way out of line!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I joined MyLife after looking at the website upon getting lots of ads from them. The monthly fee was reasonable to me, a retiree on a fixed income. THEN I discovered that MyLife had billed me in advance for the ENTIRE year. I promptly canceled the membership, as the advertising did NOT say the billing was a year lump sum, only giving the MONTHLY rate. I don’t do business with scam artists.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I put my name on Google and MyLife came up. I was stunned when I saw the incorrect information about me. The only things correct were my name, birth date, present and past towns of residence. I am very concerned about what other misinformation is in the full report. How do I get the post removed?

Original review: April 9, 2018

Company has acquired confidential information, e.g. address, court records, past addresses, DOB, etc. without any authorization. This should be illegal and investigated particularly in light of the Facebook breach recently. I agree these websites should be regulated and there is definitely a privacy issue here. I asked to have my profile deleted and they assured me it would be done. I am still on the website with all the info I have previously noted.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I googled my name just for the fun of it and the first site that came up was MyLife. All my information is out there: current and prior addresses, full name & aliases, bankruptcy info, liens, and even what make and model my car is! All this without my knowledge. This is dangerous if you are the victim of stalking! I am beyond appalled! Class Action Suit to Get them shut down!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I 'GOOGLE' my name as well as immediate family to see if there is an inappropriate information on the Web. I have a very small internet footprint and was surprised to see my name, my address, my birthdate, where I went to school, and so on, coming back on the Search. They supplied confidential information that could lead to Identify Theft. I did not continue to their website as this was alarming in itself. I contacted MyLife and demanded that they take off that information immediately, I was told 7 to 10 business days as some sites 6 to 8 weeks. Many industries (e.g. Banking, Insurance, Pharmaceutical, et al) must follow Privacy Laws. Why is this not universal? This organization needs to be reviewed by the appropriate Legal and Government agencies.

Original review: April 1, 2018

There were several major battles started in my family when it came up on MyLife that two of them were listed as Christian. One was really a Jewish Orthodox rabbi and there were fights about why he might have converted. After a month of battles we learned that the rest of us were also listed as having "Christian views" when, in fact, as Orthodox or at least Conservative Jews, we all reject Jesus. This site seems to often start with the false assumption that everyone in America is Christian. They would better serve the public by not writing about things where they have no believable data - especially in the realm of, or by simply shutting down.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I received an email saying my background was being searched and there were negative marks on my background. Out of curiosity I did the free trial and tried to see what was wrong, there was nothing on the website and it gave me zero information about a negative mark or someone searching my account. I then forgot to cancel the free trial which is totally my fault but they charged me $30 to continue the service. $30 for what? So I can google myself? This is a scam and when you do cancel they treat you like a criminal. They were super nice until I said I was calling to cancel then I spent 20 minutes on hold and the lady got an attitude. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I googled my own name to see what was on the internet since I don't have any public social media profiles. I was shocked to see mylife.com had my name listed with incorrect information. It says I have a criminal record when I don't. And actually lets anybody edit information such as work, school, net worth etc. It also allows anybody to write a review of a person. So this gives any deranged or disgruntled ex of anybody the ability to write something horrible just for the fun of it. Then when you contact them to complain, they want you to pay a fee to get incorrect information removed. This is one of the biggest scams I've ever seen in my career as a Paralegal.

I have no doubt that they intentionally put false information themselves on there so that people will pay to have it removed. I advise people not to pay anything to them. I've seen about 2500 complaints online about Mylife.com & it appears it's common knowledge they are scammers. I'm still considering a lawsuit for defamation though. They should be concerned about people like me who aren't fooled easy & have the education & ability to take action against scammers like these.

Original review: March 25, 2018

To my horror when I googled myself this site reported addresses I've never lived at. I have never lived outside LA County and the criminal record! I have never ever been arrested in my whole life! It's clear to me some information got crossed somehow but in order to correct their error for posting incorrect information for the whole world to see I would have to pay money for subscriptions. Such a rip-off. I am a professional and I find this is so detrimental to my professional circle. I didn't like the fact they published everyone's name that are related to me like my children's names. This is a scary site that readily makes information available to ID theft and stalkers alike! Please vote to eliminate sites like this!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I signed up for a "standard report" with unlimited searches, supposedly for $7.95 a month for three months. They billed my card for $20 for one month. When I went to do searches, I did not get the report they showed me to get me to sign up, and the standard report does not even include phone numbers! When I called (in less than 24 hours) to cancel the automatic monthly charge against my credit card, I was sent to a call center in India where I had to deal with a person who could barely speak English, and when I asked to speak with someone else was told no one else was available. This is partly my fault for not doing due diligence before I signed up with them, because it is obvious I should have steered well clear of these folks. Take my advice, avoid these people and save yourself some money and some grief.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I discovered that I had a profile with this service earlier this morning when a job interview suddenly cancelled on me. That's never happened before and it made me wonder what was going on. I did a Google search for my name town and MyLife's profile page for me was the top result... and it contained absolutely false claims that I had a criminal and arrest record and even a section that said I "may" have sexual offenses. To make matters worse, in their own FAQ they say that you can take over your profile with their free membership account... except THEY DON'T HAVE A FREE MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNT.

In the end, I called their "customer service", spoke to a "Jess" (I asked for an employee number but their policy isn't to disclose that information) and only when I threatened to sue did she offer to remove the profile page in its entirety. The cached version of the page still exists on Google but the damage to my reputation is already absolute. I've been looking for work for more than 4 months now, have applied to dozens of opportunities I should have been a close or ideal fit for...and I've heard virtually nothing. These people and their reckless and wanton disregard for the truth and suggesting lurid dirty details all in an effort to entice you purchase one of their memberships ought to be illegal. I can't believe situations like this are even allowed to exist. They have caused me damage that I'd need to invest money in lawyer and years of my time to ever get satisfaction for.

Original review: March 23, 2018

When I joined Mylife.com 15 years ago, the website did not request a fee, and I input names of acquaintances; however, 7 years have passed since I sought to sign in again to update my information. Alarmingly, it lists about 20 names as possible “friends” of mine, but those names I never even encountered before—I never even met anyone by those names. I was repeatedly robbed as I traveled in the Bay Area; I was a victim of a home-invasion robbery and auto theft and auto vandalism. Therefore, at last I moved from the Bay Area 7 years. Unfortunately, important letters of reference had been stolen. I was repeatedly robbed and defrauded. Sadly, mylife.com does not even recognize my last name that I acquired through marriage and as a mother.

One should beware that mylife.com is pleading for a fee through clever but questionable tactics. In fact, mylife.com will release background information about anyone to those who pay the $155/year fee, for example. Beware, because it clearly is listing erroneous information about my acquaintances as wells as my last name, address, and more. Thus, I am a victim of libel, and anyone could result in libelous reports shared with a paying member.

What appears to be a thorough background search by mylife.com is a false flag. I am happy that my search for complaints about it had led me to consumeraffairs.com where I’ve discovered other complaints about mylife.com—complaints that my experience and observation support—reports that reinforce the shocking errors described above.

MyLife Company Information