1.80/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BeenVerified is a background check provider with the mission of helping people discover, understand and use public data in their everyday lives. If you are interested in running a background check, then you have come to the right place. BeenVerified collects countless sources of public records and puts them in one report, making it easier for you to follow. Our affordable membership prices allows anyone to run background checks through our privacy-friendly public record search. Contact us today!

According to the laws of the FCRA, BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency and cannot be used for employment or tenant screening.

BeenVerified Video
BeenVerified Gallery (3)
View More View More

208 BeenVerified Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

I thought I would try their 5 day $1.00 trial. This is one of the most misleading sites I have seen in a while. The info they offer can easily be found on Google search. BUYER BEWARE, they use an old tactic called "FOR A BUCK MORE", which I myself used many years ago in marketing. Give them a taste and upgrade them for additional fees. They don't stop there. Canceling turns into the real scam and motive. I called to cancel. Automated system verifies my cancelation and then transfers me to a customer service rep who informs me that I must answer several questions and tell them why I am canceling. I told her I was not interested.

I told her the service was useless and please cancel. She then tells me that I must be more specific or she could not complete the process. Almost 5 min. of nonsense and I hung up. Pay attention folks! I then receive an email stating "Hello Scott, Thank you for your call today with Letyra. Below you will find a detailed summary of the recent changes that took place on 07/21/2018 at 02:58PM to your BeenVerified account. Your subscription was changed from $26.89 / Month to $9.95 / Month. Your next billing date is: 08/22/2018". BUYER BEWARE!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 17, 2018

Info paid for was a waste of money. Google would have given me same info. Gave me my address email and False information. No up to date information on anything. This is a scam. Misleads you into getting more information than that was given and makes you pay for premium info. 23$ fast easy affordable? Yeah ok. Do not use this site!! Warning!! I didn’t listen and now I am so upset. I immediately canceled after looking at the bs info they gave me. So mad.

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $22.86. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Michelle Perez

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: July 14, 2018

I was looking for information about my cousin who passed away a few years ago when I was very ill. BeenVerified had a deal for $1 as long as you cancelled before 5 days. I used that and got my information then cancelled my subscription. My credit card was billed for $26.89 even though I cancelled way before 5 days. I called to check it out and was told there is no record of me cancelling which is wrong. If you need the money that bad I'm sorry for you and will definitely not recommend you. Sorry I can't give 0 stars.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018

I cancelled my account immediately almost immediately as the information I got from "Been Verified" was poor. I got better info on my own. Then I thought I would pay additional 19.95 for a court runner, and what a rip off, less information than I had already obtained! Been Verified ID **, I should have demanded my money back, but they have it set up to cancel through an automated system so they can keep the original $22.86 and the "Court Runner for $19.95, so the total rip off was for $41.81. Small price to pay to see just what a joke the information was! I lasted 4 days awaiting the final report, and when I got more poor to mediocre information I cancelled immediately.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please note you can call our toll free number 1-888-579-5910 to speak to a live agent within the hours of 6am-11pm EST Mon-Sun or you have the option of emailing our support team at support@beenverified.com.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I signed up for a $14.00 trial. I tried it out on a background check for myself. Info I got back was hopelessly inaccurate and it was vague so I wanted to see the full report and they wanted to charge me another $2.99. So I was going to dispute the charge through my bank and I looked at how much they took out exactly and it was minus $44.58 they took out that I did not authorize. So I have to wait about a week for the charge to finish processing then file a claim which can take up to about 90 days. So be aware of BeenVerified. If you fish in this pond, you get bit by a shark.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2018

This site had me believing my sister had lied about my stepmother's death. I know my father died and they have him in his late 90's. How can you trust any further information. Out of date, out of touch. Go somewhere else!

Hi Ralph,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you haven't already, we encourage you to check out the Monitoring feature, which you can activate on up to ten reports you have run. Once Monitoring is activated, you will be notified as soon as we receive any new information in that report, such as a new phone number, address or even court record.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2018

My experience is similar to most of the one star reviews. Signed up for something I thought was free thinking they needed credit card info only to verify my name and I’m not doing search for nefarious reasons. To add insult injury they ask for more money to access “premium” information on the person being researched. The person's info I got was mediocre, slightly better than my google search that led me to beenverified.com.

Read the company’s dos and don'ts very enlightening on what is legal and what you are allowed to search for and why (you shouldn’t use it for prospective employees or tenants). I canceled my automatic withdrawal the day I saw it come out by calling BeenVerified, they did refund the whole amount. I’m sure there is some value to a small portion of people that use this service but I’d bet their business model is built on signing people up for auto-pay/auto-renewal in hopes they don’t notice. I would have had harsher words and a one star had they not refunded me...

Hi Rob,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. Before entering your billing information you are required to select the subscription amount you want to purchase. We let you know that each subscription package will automatically renew until you elect to cancel and include a list of what information is included in your membership.

BeenVerified's mission is to provide easy affordable access to public records, so people can use public data in their everyday lives. For example, some customers use us to plan reunions.

We hope this helps!

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 30, 2018

This company is a ripoff. At first, it seems like a free service then after waiting 15 minutes for the reports they finally tell you there is a $25 fee. What they don't tell you is after you agree to pay the $25 fee that it automatically keeps billing you every month. Don't use them. It is a scam to start stealing money from you every month!

Hi Ed,

Thank you for taking time to speak with us. I hope we have resolved any concerns you had regarding your account and the charges you received. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2018

BeenVerified.com fails to deliver accurate information about the Subject. What is going on here? I ran a check on myself and none repeat none of the information was accurate. I plan to ask Paypal for a full refund because the information furnished was completely false.

Hi Elliot,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you need assistance with your account, please feel free to reach us at 1-888-579-5910 or email us support@BeenVerified.com

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 26, 2018

First I had to say I take responsibility for my credit card continuing to be charged however it was a bad time in my life and I would like to see companies after 3 months of charge eBay card be required to check with the individual if they want to cancel their account. Now after I found out that I have been charged several months I thought okay I'm going to check one more report and then I'll cancel my service and then want to charge me again. So I went online to find how to cancel BeenVerified. I did go through a bunch of crap then they charged me $35. Do not waste your money.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2018

Your site says free then you waste 15 minutes of my time and tell me the report is $22. $22 is not free. Free means no charge. Your company not right by doing this. This bad business. How can expect to start a business relationship when you start with a lie. I just opened a business in which I am going to have over 150 employees within six months and wanted a reliable company to do background checks. Tell me one reason why I should choose your company and be truthful not misleading please.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for reaching out.

I apologize for any confusion. You can search for free to see some basic information on our site, and you can also run free reports on our app. In order to view full reports payment is required.

Please note that we would not be the appropriate website for your use case. As per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks. Please feel free to review our Terms of Service at http://www.beenverified.com/consumer-terms-of-service.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I recently did a google search for some information and found something that took me to BeenVerified. I did the report but decided not to spend the money for a subscription. I received an e-mail for a free 5 day trial and went ahead. I did not read the e-mail closely and assumed the trial would end automatically. I received an e-mail receipt from PayPal showing the new monthly subscription. I immediately e-mailed BeenVerified customer support asking to cancel my account and refund my money. Within minutes, I had an e-mail saying my account had been cancelled and would not be charged further. I then received an e-mail from PayPal that my money had been refunded. I am impressed by their quick response and integrity. While I do not anticipate doing this type of research in the future, if I do, I will use BeenVerified again without hesitation. Thank you BeenVerified Customer Support.

Hi Jim,

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with our Support team. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 14, 2018

This company acts as if they are building this incredible an incredible report for you. The entire process takes about 15 minutes of your time. Their site says "Search Any Name for Free! Billions of records at your fingertips. Just download our app." However when you perform a search and then answer several questions, and then watch as it builds and builds, you are sent to a page with all of the information asterisked out. You are then told that you have to pay $22 to view the information.

So yes, you can search on a name for free... however if you want to see any of the details you have to pay. It would be like going to Google, and typing in your search query, and then being told that you have to pay to see that information. Also, they make you fill in your name and email before allowing you to continue to see your report. Then the next page tells you - that you have to pay. Very unethical practice. I'm sure my email will now be sold to millions of their advertising partners.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We tried to reach you via email to gather more information so we could help you but have been unable to connect. Can you please email me so that we can address your concerns?

Michelle

BV Customer Support

Original review: May 8, 2018

I did a five day trial for 1$. I cancelled my account and they continued to take 25.47$ a month for two years. When I finally noticed I immediately called them. Customer service refunded me about 100$. Said she could only go back four months. She said that she could see where I had cancelled and she would put in a ticket to get the rest of my money. She said they would respond in about 48 hours. After a month of the run around and about eight tickets turned in with absolutely no response. I called back and demanded to talk to a supervisor. He told me that I was SOL. There is no evidence that I cancelled my service. What about the first representative that refunded me 100$. He said she was just being nice! Suggest people don't use this poor excuse for a company and tell everyone you know that they are a ripoff. I just wonder how many people they have done that to.

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out. We have been trying to reach you via email since May 8th to resolve this for you. We need to send a check to you for the remaining balance of your refund. Please email me at mperez@beenverified.com to let us know the name and address you'd like it sent to.

Kind regards,

1-888-579-5910

Original review: May 6, 2018

Customer service is very responsive and personalized! Very easy to work with. I even contacted them on a Sunday and they responded within a few moments. I’m amazed at the Information that is available on people, and pleased that they make privacy a priority when I reached out to them.

Hi Marti!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you are pleased with our service.

Please let us know if you ever need any additional assistance at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Take care!

BeenVerified Support

Original review: May 2, 2018

This website is a total lie and scam from the beginning to end. I was looking for some background information with the judgment & liens option (I thought I will get this based on the main website page) and decided to fork the $22.86 (discounted) for unlimited reports for one month. Ran the report, and the picture that came with the report was somebody else (for a second I thought I typed the wrong name); most of the information was outdated and most even wrong. Nothing about the judgment & liens - for that they want another $15 found on a button called "premium information" not in the report you just ran under "Criminal & Civil" as one might think. OK, since I am already in this, I fork another $15 and get the information.

Let me try to run this "premium information" on myself, and guess what? I need to fork another $15. Here is the summary: On the front page on their website there is sample output report showing a whole list of benefits one think it will get once they sign up – NOT TRUE. After you sign up for their services, you find out some of those benefits from the sample report are actually part of an additional service called "premium information" for another $15, and this after you run a report. You pay for this now and you try to run this “premium information” on another report, you find out that this $15 charge is per report – this is not mentioned ANYWHERE.

Now that you got caught (SCAMMED) in this, if you try to print your report(s); good luck with that. Printing shows all scrambled pages with some of the information in it - USELESS. There is an option for PDF – guess what? More money – another $2.99. At least this time they say "enable PDF for all your personal reports". Nowhere on their front pages on the website I found any mentioning of the "premium information" and what it comes with that (maybe if you decide to dig through their whole website - who knows?). You would have to know what to look for.

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or available for every individual. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

BeenVerified has a satisfaction guarantee, and as such, I have issued you a complete refund of the current charges on your account. Please note that your subscription has not been canceled at this time. If you would like us to cancel your subscription, or if you have any further questions, you can reach us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Recently, I noticed charges on my CitiCard account by BEENVERIFIED.COM which I did not recognize and had no recollection of authorizing the charges. CitiCard support informed me that these charges began in May of 2016 and amounted to $586.**. Due to health issues, I did not realize that you were charging my account until now. I vaguely recall that I had some interest in locating a friend from the past and, via a search, went to your website. Since you have my card number, I obviously authorized what I thought was a very small charge for a one-time search. You have been charging my account ever since. I would never have authorized that.

As I spoke with CitiCard, I checked my emails and found an email from you with a PDF to download. I looked at it and do not recognize the name at all and the information was and is of no interest to me. Since then, I have never received an invoice or any notification from you that you have been charging my account. I have never used any of your services and I want and complete refund for the $586.** in charges that I did not authorize.

Hi Anthony,

I hope that you are pleased with the resolution of your issue. Thanks for reaching out and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best,

Original review: April 25, 2018

The site was unable to verify the email information I was cross referencing. The dollar charge was unnecessary at that point and I can only get half the $ back because I was 1 day late in canceling the account. I’m assuming this is where they make some money. Charging people and refunding half.

Hi Stephanie,

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble locating the information you were looking for.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or we don't have a record for a specific individual. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

I'm sorry for any confusion regarding your refund, and I have issued you a complete refund of your subscription charge. You should see the funds returned to your account in a couple of business days.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 25, 2018

This is absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made. I should have just burned 22 dollars. This site claims that they have all this information so I bought the one month 22 dollars just to find what I could have seen for free on Google and on top of it this site was worse. I found more on Google than here. BeenVerified didn't even show my age.

Hi Leanne,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

I see that your account was already cancelled per your request, and I have issued you a complete refund of your subscription charge.

Original review: April 16, 2018

BeenVerified popped up on a Google search as providing a free background check. After about 15 minutes it finally said my report was ready and tried to charge me $22 for the report. Last time I checked, $22 is NOT FREE. BeenVerified lies and cheats in its advertising. How can anyone trust the information they CLAIM they have found?

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with this people search website. I paid $23 for the website to tell me the exact same thing I can find for free! Once you pay the initial $23 for the basic search they offer a "premium search" for an additional $15 which I paid and it told me nothing else! And that $15 is only for one person! I can't use the premium for every person I want to search, no I have to pay $15 extra for each one! Are you kidding me?! Plus you only get a limited number of people you can search without being charged extra. I assumed since I was paying for a month I could search as many people as I needed to but no. I was so angry I cancelled my subscription within 30 mins of doing it. I wish I never gave them my money. What a rip off!

Hi Christopher,

I'm sorry to hear that you had any trouble locating the information you were looking for.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or available for every person. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

Reviewing your account, I see that you have already received the full refund that you requested, so please let us know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This was an impulse buy, if you will. I decided to look up some old college and military friends that do not use social media (which shows a lot of sense these days). But the data I found was contradictory, out of date, and much of it was just plain wrong. Since I had already paid, I did the same for myself and found that it was just as bad. And if you want to dig any deeper, they try to get you to buy a 'Premium' package, a little detail they avoid telling you upfront. Besides, if an old friend has had legal troubles is that really something I need to know in any detail? And then, adding to the mess, when I hit ten profiles the ability to search any further just stopped. I ran the search on an 11th person and though the page said it was being delivered nothing happened. I ran it again and had the same result.

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble running additional reports. I was unable to locate any issues with your account that would suggest why that would be the case, it may have been a temporary bug.

Please rest assured that we have closed your account, you will not be billed again, and you have been issued a complete refund for your subscription.

If you have any further questions, please let us know at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I get a lot of phone calls for someone I don't know. For some reason, BeenVerified has my phone number--a number I've had for more than 15 years--associated with another person. I get creepy calls, telemarketing calls, and tons of wrong numbers for this person. No other background site has my number associated with this other individual... I've checked. I called today and was rudely informed that there's nothing I can do to have them fix the record. I can't opt the person out. I don't know the person. I'm stuck because these guys are shady. They act like their service is just magically pulling from public records.

I work in software. I know the data they're displaying when you search is housed in a data warehouse and that it's just a matter of modifying a record. They don't want to do that. Don't trust these people. They're shady and promote dishonesty. I'd change my number, but I've had it for 15 years and I shouldn't have to make changes just because of a dishonest company. I guess I'll just keep blocking the errant number. Beware.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I did not pay for the service; I only want to remove my info from their site. I went through their online process, which includes giving them an email address. They are supposed to send a verification email back that I want my info removed. No verification email was ever sent back to me though. When I tried to do it again, it says that an email was sent out, etc. When I called them, I was told that I am the only one who can remove my info via the opt out process that did not work and that I cannot do it again! So my info can never be removed, because of their ridiculous Catch-22.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Do not waste your money! This is a rip off a total scam. All the information they charged for was old and out of date or untrue stuff, you can find for free on the internet. It took three tries to cancel the membership. One 20 minute phone call and two emails and you will not receive a refund. Do let the ads get you.

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear that you had any trouble finding the information you were looking for.

We do our best to constantly update our database, but because of the nature of public records sometimes the information for a given individual is incomplete or incorrect.

BeenVerified has a satisfaction guarantee, and as such I have issued you a complete refund of the charges on your account.

If you have any further questions you can reach us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife and I have been flooded with emails from Been Verified. The information is far from accuracy. We’ve deleted the false information from our LifeLock account. And Been Verified seems to delete the information and anyone can start another account within hours. My wife and I are really thinking about hiring a lawyer about this company.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 28, 2018

I know very little about this company other than the fact that they have been calling many times a day every day for over a month. Up to 20 calls a day, 7 days a week (Illegal to call on Sundays I believe); anywhere from 8 AM to 10 PM. Only answered the calls once - robocaller.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 27, 2018

BeenVerified is running a scam from hell. They advertise it as free but it's not. I'm only rating it a 1 star because I can't rate it any lower or I would. They suck. No one should use them so please don't. My Black Ops badge # is as follows **.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 25, 2018

I don't understand why these companies put out there that they're going to let you search for free. Every single one of them let's you search and then they charge you. It doesn't make any sense. If they didn't want not to charge you they should just not charge you for the whole thing. It doesn't make any sense. It's absolutely ridiculous to waste somebody's time and information to obtain a public record which is totally public. This all includes phone numbers and so on just like it used to be in the white pages. You should be able to look up something publicly and if they're willing to let you search for free. Free means free. Free don't mean a dollar. Free don't mean $9. Free don't mean $39. It means free.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I discovered unauthorized charges on my credit card after using the service for what I believed was one-time (not a subscription). When I called, I was told I cancelled but there was a "re-subscription". The representative told me they would cancel it for the future but was unable to provide details as to how or when I approved any type of subscription. They did not quickly offer to refund the charges; I had to insist and then they only agreed to reverse the four most recent charges while their support team will have to look into reversing the older 3 charges.

Clearly I wasn't using the service during any of the months they were charging me and it seems to me anyone who uses the service once is susceptible to having a subscription they did not want or know they were authorizing. Based on my phone call, I do believe the matter will be resolved by BeenVerified.com and it is good that a telephone number was on my statement and they do have live, reachable customer service to deal with this but I still should not have been in this situation to begin with - it's deceptive that I could end up being subscribed to something (or re-subscribed) as they put it after cancellation.

BeenVerified expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.

• Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.

• Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.

• Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs