1.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BeenVerified is a background check provider with the mission of helping people discover, understand and use public data in their everyday lives. If you are interested in running a background check, then you have come to the right place. BeenVerified collects countless sources of public records and puts them in one report, making it easier for you to follow. Our affordable membership prices allows anyone to run background checks through our privacy-friendly public record search. Contact us today!

According to the laws of the FCRA, BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency and cannot be used for employment or tenant screening.

BeenVerified Video
BeenVerified Gallery (3)
View More View More

292 BeenVerified Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 19, 2019

Thought you wouldn't be charged if you tried out their website but you need to read it carefully you will automatically get charged after your trial without ANY WARNING. They just charge your card. I wasn't impressed with the site and regret ever using it. You can get some info from other sites like LinkedIn and others. Should of come here first. I normally look for reviews first but didn't this time. Big mistake!!

Hi Greg,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We do let you know that our plans are recurring until you elect to cancel your account.

Please be assured that we have cancelled and refunded your account in full.

If there is anything we can assist you with, please let us know.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was trying to locate relatives in my same state that I lost contact with after our parents died. All the phone numbers were no longer in service. I tried to get through to Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc... but those links seem to be outdated also. I am very disappointed after 3+ hours of searching the info provided for $22. Most of the additional useful info costs extra, as does getting a pdf version sent to your email box. Info such as workplaces, education, etc. which could verify, if you are looking at the correct person. I would not recommend this company. I will cancel ASAP. I wish I had read the reviews for BeenVerified more closely, before not after, I tried to use this service.

Hi Janie,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

With your account we show you do have access to professional and work history as well as to our free bonus data. Would you like for us to walk you through viewing that information ? If not, we are happy to issue a refund since you were unable to find what you were looking for.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 16, 2019

I logged into this service a total of 2 times in October of 2016. I did not realize it was a monthly recurring subscription service. They have charged me over 500 dollars to date. The company informed me policy dictates they can only refund 4 months. That means I was charged over 200 dollars per log in! This is insanity. In addition I never received any emails or notices of billing after my initial "subscription". They are perfectly happy in fact overjoyed to allow people to continue paying who don't realize they even have the service. When I emailed the services department I received the same mass email they send to everyone they have taken to the cleaners.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

I asked some pretty basic questions to BeenVerified in order to make a determination for our company whether their services would be exactly what we needed. Needless to say it didn't get very far as I asked about docket numbers to which their response was, "When you mention docket numbers, are you referring to criminal records?" A background reporting agency should know what a docket number is referencing. It's a scam, any good review on here is most likely fake. They pull their records from free sources on the web and package it up for a nice price for you.

Hi Michelle:

After reviewing the email conversation with our support team, it shows we advised that you would be unable to use our website for your use case. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer further assistance to you and can understand this may be frustrating.

BeenVerified is a website that provides a searchable database of aggregated public records. This public information is compiled through many public offices and agencies with the intent and for the purpose of it being made available to the public. There are many sources of public records, including: telephone directories, public property records, utility bills, magazine subscriptions, voter registration, and more.

For this reason, per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks, Tenant Screening or FCRA Related Background Checks. BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information contained within our website has not been collected for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. Please feel free to review our Terms of Service at http://www.beenverified.com/consumer-terms-of-service.

I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@beenverified.com

Original review: March 8, 2019

To judge the accuracy of the tool, I searched myself. It had half of my addresses, potential family members, and social media wrong. And it shows I own 3 cars I have never seen before, but doesn't list a single one that I actually do. And there is nowhere to try to submit corrections. I won't be using this service again.

Hello Tiffany,

Please be assured that your account has been cancelled and a refund for the subscription fee was processed.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

BeenVerified Customer Care

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I just needed to use this one time. None of the information is anything I couldn’t find. Waste of money and time. I tried to cancel and now they want to charge me $37 to cancel. Ridiculous! Hoping whoever is reading this can take care of it for me.

Hi Kristi,

We are sorry to hear that. There is no charge to cancel an account with BeenVerified. The account was previously cancelled and we have issued you a $1.00 refund.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 2, 2019

I believe if I simply paste a copy of the feedback that I sent to Been Verified, the purpose of this message will be obvious. Here it is: Hello, Just a quick note to let you know how great my customer service was today. I called for the purpose getting a refund for an automatic monthly payment that I didn't want to happen because I intended to cancel my account. I talked to Nakeisha, who quickly and smoothly identified my account, confirmed the specific transaction and politely agreed to get my refund taken care of. This kind of professional customer service is why I would choose your company first if I ever wanted a Background checker in the future. Thanks!

Hello Joseph.

Thank you so much for providing feedback regarding your experience. We are so happy to hear that all of your expectations and needs were met with the professionalism our customers deserve. We hope to see you again should the need arise!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

Much like other reviews on here I signed up once in 3/18 for an employee background. Got little to no information I couldn't have found out in public records search. Canceled the account and as that was an OLD credit card didnt' see the next statements... They've been charging 22.86 ever since to my NEW credit card which I did not authorize. Called to complain... NO REFUNDS. Guy was a jerk. Will NEVER use their so called service again. How they can charge a different credit card (issued by same bank) without prior authorization is something I will be addressing with Bank of America.

Hello Amy,

I am not able to locate an account under your email address. Can you please email us and include your nine digit member ID or the email address on your account.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I tried to log into my account and could not get in and come to find out that someone called in, verified my information, pretended to be me and canceled my account. PAID SUBSCRIPTION and before it had expired. I spoke with Kim and she said that Joni allowed a FAKE Person to call me and block my account at the corporate level. My email, My Credit Card, everything block. Kim told me I had to sign up for a new account and I tried. They unauthorized my personal email and credit card. WHAT THE CRAZY FRAUD THEY GOT GOING ON.

Hello Belinda,

I apologize for any confusion. For security reasons, we prefer to close the account versus leaving it open just in case there is an issue with an unauthorized account. Please be assured that your account has been reopened and we have issued a free month of use for the inconvenience.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I thought I clicked on the trial offer for BeenVerified and accidentally hit the wrong button and got the subscription. I immediately called BeenVerified and spoke with a very nice lady about what had happened. She instantly refunded me my $22.00 (I believe that is how much it was, or close to it) and told me that I did not have to worry about my subscription error and that it was all taken care of. I am not one to look at my bank statement online a lot and saw I was STILL being billed the monthly fee of $9.99. I called back in November saying I was still being billed and they said they would cancel it.

Well, here I am 8 months later still being billed monthly. My original mistake happened in June 2018. Can you explain why I am not having my subscription cancelled like I have been told twice now? So my advice is buyer beware of being told your subscription is cancelled when it is not. Been Verified can look at their records and tell you that I have not used BeenVerified outside my trial period. Crookedness is what this company is!!!

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about any billing issues you are having. I am unable to locate any accounts registered to the email provided here. Can you please contact us directly at support@beenverified.com. We will be happy to assist you in locating the second account and getting that cancelled for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

BeenVerified Customer Care

We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I don't believe this site is real because I have tried on several occasions to start an account and the system keeps showing an Error Message of "Oops looks like something went wrong!!!" Don't waste your time by attempting to purchase a subscription. It's not a real service site!!!

Hello Tonzaino,

I apologize for any issues you may have had creating an account. I do see that an account was successfully created. I am also able to see that there were several attempts to create an account prior to that. It looks like there may have been a problem with the card but unfortunately, we are not given a specific reason as to what the problem was. It does look like you are all set now and reports have already been run in your account. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I wanted the $1 trial and somehow I ended up been charged $26.89/month for 5 months (as I didn't check my PayPal account and the $26.89 charges came in monthly)!!! I called BeenVerified customer service as one could see from the account that I used it on two searches only. I only got the $ refunded for one month and ended up paying $107.56 for two searches!!! I am VERY DISAPPOINTED as IT IS BAD BUSINESS to do that to customers!!! It sure feels more like a scam than a legitimate business when one charges customers and doesn't give a refund in spite of clear evidence of the account and services not being used for almost half a year!!! I cannot recommend this business. :(:(:(

Hi Lucia,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. All of our subscriptions are recurring. We let you know on the sign-up page that each subscription package will automatically renew until you elect to cancel. We currently billed based on the subscription chosen when signing up vs the amount of usage.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and we were able to issue an additional refund of $80.67 totaling to a full refund of $107.56 The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I looked up a name. Spent time while it went through the search but only at the very end does the site tell you there is a substantial charge. All other legitimate businesses post charges upfront. This is not a fair policy.

Hi Ronald:

Thanks for reaching out. BeenVerified's mission is to provide easy affordable access to public records, so people can use public data in their everyday lives.

On our home page before searching a name you have the option to click to login or to sign up. When you click sign up you will be able to see our pricing options.

There are costs associated with obtaining the data and integrating that information into easy-to-read reports. Payment is required to sign-up for BeenVerified.

If you're interested in trying out the service, you can access a special $1 trial offer here: https://www.beenverified.com/lp/32fc4f/5/subscribe

Or you may want to check out our app for the iPhone or Android. The app is free to install (from the App store and Google Play store). With our apps, you can run unlimited people searches to get contact info and more, for free and you have the option of upgrading with a subscription to unlock criminal records and more.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support@beenverified.com

Thanks,

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I ran a report on a new boyfriend and myself. My data had addresses that I never lived at. The cell number listed I changed 4 years ago. My boyfriend's information was also not current. The most recent address listed is one for a location he has not lived in years. The data I received I could have derived from other sources at no cost. If anyone is thinking they are always getting credible data, they would be mistaken.

Hello Mary,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports. Please be assured that your account has been cancelled and a full refund has been issued.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly. We also offer a monitoring feature with all active accounts which allows you to monitor a report and be notified of any changes in that report on a monthly basis.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Terrible! Also, invasion of privacy and I have asked several times to have my information removed because when I use the opt out option I never receive an email.??? If this company adds your information for public view, they should also be able to remove it by request via email, when their options don’t work - a common sense tactic. ??‍♀️

Hi Joanna,

I am sorry to hear you had an issue opting out your information. It does look like we have removed the listing for you. If you are still seeing any of your information after 24 hours, please send a request and we will be happy to assist your from there.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Information is advertised as quote “100% free”. After spending way too much time getting to the final report I need to pay a subscription to receive the information, this was a scam and false advertising.

Hi Amanda,

Please note the image you provided is to a different website called Background checks.org.

Could you tell us where you saw BeenVerified listed as 100% free?

At this time you can run free reports on our app to see basic information but in order to view full reports payment is required.

No response received
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

DO NOT USE! I had this for a month and cancelled their services. I did this on-line and it never took. Because it has been months I have deleted the email that was associated with the cancellation. My fault for not paying attention to my bank account and thinking I wouldn't have issues. If you use this site and want to cancel, call! Or you will be charged. On another note, everything they "Found" I had found on-line for FREE! Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Terrible! I went on to find a criminal record for a creepy guy harassing my friend, and it couldn't even find his age! A google search turned up more about him than this service. Worse yet, it's a full $22 just to ACCESS the reports, so I didn't even know they didn't have the right info until it showed me reading a report for a 46 year old man who died two years ago. Greatly displeased with the quality of the service, as well as my missing money!

Hello Jason,

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to locate the person you were looking for. Sometimes adding or deleting an age or city and state from the initial search could possibly bring up the individual you were looking for.

Please be assured that your account has been cancelled and a full refund of $22.86 has been issued.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Where do I start. I paid $22 for the subscription and another $50 plus to unlock the premium detail. Don't fall for it. False advertisement! Could not get employment history or educational history. Not even for myself and I have a medical degree. Can't wait to call my card company and tell them I paid for a product I didn't receive.

Hi Shakeisha.

I am sorry to hear you were unable to locate the information you were looking for. The amount of information available will vary from one report to the next depending on the information available via public records.

Please be assured that I have cancelled your account and issued you a full refund of all charges.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I wanted to check that this site was legitimate and it easy. Create a fake email address that doesn’t exist (send it to yourself and it will bounce back if it doesn’t exist). Now watch the wonder of BeenVerified. Send you the results to unlock at a cost of $44.50 US the address you just created out of thin air. They will say they have an address, Criminal record, social media the lot, for a address that doesn’t exist. Just try what I said before you get caught LOL. Nice SCAM BeenVerified, well I ain’t BeenScamed LOL.

Hi Manfred,

Thank you for reaching out.

I apologize for any confusion.

The reports or results from our site are not sent to an email address (this is for security and privacy reason). You would need to login to your BeenVerified account with the email and password you sign up with to view the results of a search. You can access our login page here: https://www.beenverified.com/f/login

All searches are saved to your account until you elect to delete them.

Please feel free to reach us if you have any questions or concerns.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I signed up for the free trial on the BeenVerified website to assist with my family tree and other reasons. Of course, when you sign up for the free trial, you have to add a method of payment. I have tried calling the number listed on the site to cancel my account a day or 2 before the trial ended and I either got a busy signal or the phone hangs up when you think you are connected to someone. I have been charged $45 and I didn't even use the site for the entire trial period. I hope that this can be resolved soon. I refuse to keep being charged for a service I don't use nor need.

Hi Tanika,

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your account.

We were able to locate an account with your email but do not show it was set up under our trial option. We do show your account was canceled and refunded today via your email request.

Can you provide the number you dialed to reach us so we can look into this for you?

Please note we currently do not offer a free trial with our service.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received an email stating my report was ready. When I followed the link to see the report I had to sign up for the free trial. After signing up I was asked to start the search which I thought was already done. The search came up with nothing and I know for a fact that there is information available. They did cancel my trial after a few sales pitches, but bottom line, this company is a scam.

Hi Frances,

I am sorry to hear that we did not have the information you were hoping for. It would be helpful to know what you were looking for that was not available. I have checked your account and can confirm it has been cancelled and a refund has been issued .

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried their services & found there was a lot of inaccurate informations. I keep cancelling & yet have been charged for the last YEAR & I HAVENT BEEN USING IT. Can't reach them by phone. Tried email. $262.20 is a lot of money for something that gave me incorrect information (they have someone who died in 2016 listed as alive) the 1st time around & that was supposed to be CANCELLED LAST JANUARY! Absolutely ridiculous. DON'T DO IT!

Hello Abigail,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We do provide easy cancellation by phone or email.

We are not showing any prior requests to cancel this account. Please be assured that I have cancelled your account and issued you a refund in the amount of $104.88.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I legit just got a whole page of nothing! Google has more info than they provided. Truly disappointed as I'm getting ready to travel on a Visa and wanted to see some information. I just praying they refund me and don't make it a hassle to cancel.

Hi Michael,

We're sorry to hear you didn't find the information you were looking for.

Please be assured we show your account was canceled and refunded on 1/17/19.

The information in BeenVerified's reports is aggregated from public records and publicly available information. This public information is compiled through many public offices and agencies with the intent and for the purpose of it being made available to the public. There are many sources of public records, including: telephone directories, public property records, utility bills, magazine subscriptions, voter registration, and more.

Unfortunately, at this time we do not offer an international search.

We hope this helps.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I did do research before subscribing to BeenVerified but honestly I was just thinking a background search is a background search, nothing fancy. I wish I didn't waste my money with this company. They don't have any useful information at all. I have done plenty of searches on Google but wanted something more in depth. This website is a joke! I did a background check on a old high school buddy who is now in Jail and a registered sex offender. All of his information is available through a Google search, BeenVerified didn't have anything on this person. Not even the records of him being a sex offender! No arrest or court records, nothing!

I did a search on a few other people and myself. There wasn't any information and what little was provided was outdated crap. The company made a statement on someone else's review saying they collect information through public data and such. If that is truly the case, then why is Google providing more information and recent public records, when this sorry excuse of a company shows zilch. I am skeptical to even try other sites now, maybe there is one that really is good and legit. But I can truly say through my bad choice in picking BeenVerified, I do not recommend them.

One last note, I have many public sites I'm registered with that contain my email and phone number. So you would think I could find all my info searching with my email or phone, nope nothing matched my search. I think this company needs to reevaluate how to get and share information with customers. If nothing changes, I'm pretty sure this website will be shut down either by force or going broke. In conclusion, BeenVerified is shameful, useless and dishonorable. Claiming to be a wonderful and accurate background check company is abhorrent.

BeenVerified response

Thank you, Tiffany ! We truly appreciate your time and your new star rating.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I made a one-time payment of $44.58 on the site on July 12, 2018 with hope of finding information on a lost relative, received information that I easily found on Google as well. However, unbeknownst to me they charged the same amount thru my PayPal account on October 12, 2018 and again on January 12, 2019. I became aware of the January 12th payment and contacted PayPal. I have reviewed the receipts to my original payment in July 2018 and no way did I enter into a subscription with BeenVerified. Buyer Beware! If you must purchase from them, then be on the lookout for unauthorized charges to your credit or debit card account.

Hi Chinyere,

Please be assured that we have cancelled and refunded the last charge on your account.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I ran a background check and found out plenty of historical criminal data on my search target that I did not know about and that Google and me was unable to find. The 5-day plan for $1 is a good deal. The 12 minute and one dollar investment was a great value to me and I will do it again if the situation arises.

BeenVerified response

Thank you, Paul! We're pleased to hear we could help you locate that information and quickly. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Chuck, Virginia. January 8, 2019. BeenVerified fits exactly my description of a scam, which is giving you nothing at a price. I tried their special $1 trial offer and that got me a subscription I didn't need and didn't want; and what little information they provided, I could have found the same on the net for free! I had to cancel my credit card to finally stop PayPal payments. PayPal should be ashamed for associating with such a scammer. For the third time in a row they did try to charge my old credit card! They'll probably try ad infinitum… Stay away as far as you can from BeenVerified.

Hi Charles,

We don't show that you attempted to contact us via phone or email to cancel or request a refund.

Please be assured that your account has now been canceled and you were issued a refund of $26.89. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at support@BeenVerified.com

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

The initial website looked like it was doing a search to identify a phone number, with several screens taking 20-30 seconds to "search" for the info, ending with one that said there was much information about the phone number. I thought it worth paying to get the info. Once I paid, it turned out there was very little info and the 'searches' were fake. Fortunately they canceled my membership on request.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I used this so called service to do a background search on a mentally ill relative, in order to help him get a job. The address they supplied was 25 years old and no other useful info was supplied. Don't use this scam service. I will try to get my money back but I won't hold my breath.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for letting us help you locate the other report that contained some of the information you were looking for. We appreciate your time and your new star rating. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

BeenVerified Customer Supoort

BeenVerified expert review by Ben Mannes

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.

• Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.

• Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.

• Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

BeenVerified Company Information