Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've had this account with BeenVerified for almost or maybe over 10 years. Obviously service carriers for cell has changed. Payment (cc #s) and etc. I've always had your app and in past could even purchase single reports! I've recently lost my job so playing it safe but as soon as able to afford... I'll be signing back up. Thanks for years of great CS and never any issues!!

Resolution In Progress

BeenVerified

Hi Cassandra - regarding your recent comment seeing a more recent charge, please contact us so we can provide further assistance. We do not see any charges to your account since September 2016, and we do not see any other accounts under your information. All recent transactions on 1/30/2017 and 2/8/2017 on the account have been refunds. We look forward to hearing from you so we can ensure this has been resolved.

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Cassandra,

I'm sorry to hear you had any trouble with your account. Please be assured your account is now canceled. You have been refunded for charges dating back to and including January 2016. You will not be billed again going forward. Please understand that we are unable to refund any further transactions that are dated over a year ago.

The package you signed up for was the $22.86/monthly subscription. We state on our sign up page that all of our subscriptions automatically renew until you elect to cancel, and we let you know how to contact us if you decide to cancel. We also include our toll-free customer support number in our billing descriptor so that you may contact us for assistance right away if you have questions about receiving a charge from BeenVerified. Our support is available by phone 7 days a week, and you can always email us at support@beenverified.com.

I hope we have addressed your concerns, but if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,
BeenVerified Customer Care
888-579-5910

support@beenverified.com

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I just got off of the phone with BeenVerified and while they were willing to refund a portion of my charges I still feel the company acted in the wrong. I signed up for a one time use in April 2015 (or so I thought) to do a background check. Turns out I've been charged for well over a year for a plan I was not and had not used since that date. I asked why I NEVER received an email or receipt or any notification via email that I was a member or was being charged. The first woman I spoke to told me a receipt is emailed with each transaction - however I NEVER got one - she obnoxiously sent them again and magically they all appeared while we were on the phone. I find it suspect that no emails were ever sent my way in over a year. Really feel like they wanted me to forget about it and hope to not notice the charges.

Be very very careful with this company. You will sign up for things you didn't realize and they aren't exactly willing to work with you to resolve the issues. It wasn't until I conference called with my credit card company that customer service at BeenVerified was willing to budge. I was charged over $400 and they only refunded $160. Overall, this company is NOT worth it!

I rarely write reviews and have never broken down and paid for a "locator" service, but really needed to get key info on a specific person today, and decided to use yours. I was genuinely very impressed with the thoroughness, presentation, and esp. the wide range of key info provided, including pictures, which I particularly needed. I even got your App which is very smooth and streamlined. Your price was $7-12 cheaper than your competitors but worth every penny just for this one contact. I will be using it as much as possible this month to track other friends and family down, and then probably cancel the account - but you will be the first and only service I will use when I need it again in the future, as I surely will.

Overall, we are very pleased with BeenVerified. It would be GREAT if, when it is available, you note what the relationship between people is-- i.e., spouse, child, parent... I love the improvement that we can see if it is cell or landline without having to go to another screen. It would be helpful to have the same "last seen" dates on phones as well as on addresses. You seem to be a bit behind on dates of death. I am surprised, sometimes, when you have no info on some people that I KNOW are easily found on public records.

I was demonstrating to my great niece how to use your app to check out anyone that she felt was not being forthcoming or she felt was not who he said he was. After I showed her how I was curious to see how up to date your app is so I type in my middle son's name who has just recently moved and lo and behold there he was with his new address. I was scrolling through it and there was my first born daughter name who I have not seen in ten years. My eyes filled with tears and I wanted to just call her right then but I tried to calm down and prepare myself on what to say without crying. It was your wonderful app that has made me so happy and I thank you with all my heart and soul.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

I wanted to check one person and got a thorough report. I thought I would only get a one time charge, but when a second charge came through a month later, I wrote to BeenVerified and they informed me they did not have a one-time charge, but they did cancel my subscription and refunded the second charge. Excellent customer service.

Wanted to contact a long lost friend in which was very successful. It took only a matter of hours to accomplish this. I found the site to be helpful in many different ways. Enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend it to friends!! Thanks!!

I am sure the brunt of your feedbacks are people bitching and wanting to complain or cancel. However, I have to tell you. Been Verified's service is very good. Their database has greatly improved. I think I have had it going on a few years now. I have professional databases that are expensive pay per search deal, and theirs is better than some of those. I know I have utilized about a dozen. Currently I use 3 including this because I find success with them.

I own a judgment business and my income has significantly gone up because of how well in tune this database is currently. I am able to better connect the dots and the social media you have on here is a HUGE difference maker. I have to give you credit where credit is due. I know a lot of people out there probably get roped into having databases like this and wanted to use it once but it's a very good database. I can't believe how cheap it is. I love your service. It's well worth what I have to pay you all.

Customer support answered all my questions and helped me decide to sign up with BeenVerified when I am ready to go. I feel very confident that this service will be beneficial for my company. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic help.

I have used BeenVerified over 600 times in the past 2 years. I have been trying to locate classmates from 1954 for a grade school reunion. BeenVerified is easy to use and I cannot only receive accurate information but can find information that can only be found there. There are other searchers trying to locate but they do not use BeenVerified and have to call me to check their accuracy but to find missing info on the site they are using. Most often the missing info is the phone number or the email address. I spend minutes instead of hours locating my classmates. I have figured that this costs me less than 40 cents to locate my person. Well worth the time and effort.

I love your service. I pay by year with your service. I keep up with my children. I have 6 of them. They move around a lot. I wish I could get little more info but I happy with what I have to work with so you got me for a customer as long as you stay in business.

I really like BeenVerified! I have tried other background sites and have found that BV gives you the most bang for your buck. You do not charge extra for email, phone or property record lookups, all of those come with the subscription. The price of the subscription is very reasonable especially if you subscribe yearly. I am a researcher and your service has saved me countless hours by providing information in one spot so that I do not need to go to many different site to obtain that information. If I have one complaint about the service it is that I have trouble downloading the reports and must remember to click on the "email pdf" twice to be assured that I receive the report. This is a small inconvenience compared to the excellent other features of your service. Another plus is that there is not an endless barrage of pop-ups while viewing a report. The site is easy to navigate, as well.

Hi Layth,
I'm sorry to hear you had any trouble with the service. The plan you signed up with was a monthly subscription to run unlimited background checks. The sign up page states that our subscriptions automatically renew until you elect to cancel. I apologize if there was any misunderstanding. Your account was canceled per your earlier request. I have also processed a full refund of the charges you received, since it sounds like you were unable to find the information you were looking for, and did not wish to renew the service. You should receive an email regarding the refund, and you should see the refund reflected on your statement within a few business days.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com or at 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I requested background check and the report didn't give me any helpful information; Moreover, I requested one-time service and they started to charge me every Month! Don't waste your time and money with this scam company and read the reviews first before you pay for this service and learn from my mistake!

Factual basis uncertain

You've been warned. You can't really pay for just one month or just one report. They want to trick you into a subscription. There is no free information but you have wait like 5 minutes for a series of fake processing steps to happen until this becomes plain. The data they have is not special, not necessarily current and totally not worth it.

Factual basis uncertain

Decided to check upon a family member, waited quite a while for all of their supposed checking. When the report was ready they wanted payment before seeing it. Reading their payment deal, they actually was going to get you to sign up for monthly payments. I declined and opted out without giving them a credit card number. As of yesterday a charged showed up on my card transactions and I was not sure who it was. Had to look up the name since it had been a while since I had tried to use their service. I believe this is called fraud and theft of my card number somehow.

Factual basis uncertain

I signed up for a one week trial and then I cancelled the subscription prior to the expiration date. I cancelled online and I made a phone call to them to verify the cancellation. I used a credit card that I use for my business and there are dozens of charges on the monthly statements. My bookkeeper pays the bills and thought that BeenVerified was a normal charge that we get so she just kept on paying the bill monthly.

22 months later BeenVerified contacts me and says that the card expired and they want a new card on file. I informed them that I cancelled their service within the trial period and did not agree to the monthly subscription of $25.47. They said that they have no record of me cancelling so they were justified in charging me even though their records show that I did not use their service even once. Since they don't issue you a copy of the cancellation I have no way of proving that I cancelled. They are a scam operation. Don't use their service!!!

Factual basis uncertain

I signed up with this background check company to obtain a one-time report. I specifically selected the account type I wanted, which was one time only. I did not want or need to access the services more than one time and did not want a monthly subscription. As such, I paid a higher, one-time fee. Then, I received notice that I was being billed for a second month. I then tried to sign into my account and was told my password was invalid. I contacted PayPal, through whom I paid, initiated an investigation, and put a hold on the account. Only through PayPal was I able to obtain a customer service number for BeenVerified. I was told by a BeenVerified customer service rep that I did sign up for a monthly subscription, and that is all they offer. THIS IS AN UNTRUTH. This is not what was offered and not what I chose when I signed up.

I was told my account was closed and the charge reversed. I will be monitoring for that, but feel confident that PayPal will not allow the charge to go through. I suggest being very vigilant if you choose to use this company. It may be helpful if you make screen copies of the account choices offered and selected before providing any payment information. Use a VISA or MasterCard that will assist you with disputed charges. Or, just try a different company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Aug. 12, 2016

I was given a prompt refund of all the charges that I disputed from Been Verified.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I used BeenVerified one time and thought I would be billed only once. Instead I was billed for 12 consecutive months at $22.86 per month. I called them to cancel and requested a full refund for 11 months. They said they would cancel and refund me my money. That was 3 days ago. So far I have not seen any refund. What is interesting about this is I cancelled the original credit card number used for the original purchase. However, they were able to get my new number and continue charging me. This company is not ethical. Somebody should investigate them.

Factual basis uncertain

I use their services. They told me the charge. Did not tell me that it was going to be a monthly charge. It's a scam to get your money by not telling you that. Just going to be additional monthly charges. They make it sound like that there's only going to be one charge. When I call them up on the phone they hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the problem. They do not care about the bad reviews online because by then they charge 5 more people. Do not use the service. Use somebody else. It's a scam.

Factual basis uncertain

I chose the one month only membership, but was then told, as my card was charged a second time, that the company had snuck the membership into the "terms and conditions" (which they know full well practically no one reads). I am a business owner myself and would ever consider screwing over my customers in the manner as was done. The excuse given to validate this dishonesty is that "you should have read the terms". Well, perhaps that is true, but when a business owner such as BeenVerified is full aware of the number of people being screwed over and being angry at the advantage taken, then it becomes the responsibility of the business to see that customers are satisfied.

I spend my days trying to calm customers down who call me already angry, certain that I am going to take advantage in some way BECAUSE of businesses like BeenVerified. I take great pleasure in having 99% of my customers walk away happy with the end result of whatever problem they have may encountered. My number one responsibility is customer service and customer retention.

I was very satisfied with the services rendered, the report was complete, concise, and to my knowledge, accurate. However, I will never use BeenVerified again and will not recommend their service to anyone, knowing full well that "caveat emptor" is too necessary to do business with them. Customer service is always the most important thing in business, and by being greedy and taking advantage of what you are aware is an issue, you have failed.

Factual basis uncertain

Be very wary of this website. The billing is set up to look as though you can subscribe only for a month when in actuality they will charge you for 6 months to the tune of $58.98. The monthly charge breaks down to $9.98 but you can't subscribe for only one month. Luckily my bank called me to let me know about this and I immediately called to cancel. The gentleman I spoke to kept wanting to show me on the website where the charges came from and I told him I did not care because I never agreed to a 6 month subscription. When I asked for his supervisor, he agreed to refund the entire amount. He was unfazed by the accusation that the billing is deceptive. I still couldn't figure out how to delete my card information which means I have to call my bank to flag this vendor to make sure nothing else comes through. It's companies like this one that make dealing with things online so much more difficult and fiscally unsafe.

Factual basis uncertain

I used BeenVerified through another site to learn about a sex offender in the area's criminal record, so you can imagine this was important to me, and not something I did on a whim. The site is set up to take your money by making you wait for numerous stages as it theoretically gathers information and searches public records. As someone with some familiarity with technology, I can assure all this waiting has nothing to do with this. It's simply designed to build up your expectations and take your money, as many people will just be too frustrated after waiting for 5 minutes, to not sign up and pay something. This is manipulative and a disgusting unethical business practice. If they just said it this was the case from the get-go I'd have more tolerance for it but the fact that they try to hook you with all this fake technology is just offensive.

Factual basis uncertain

As I was using this site to check on some info I needed, I pick one month only background. They had three option to pick from month 6 or 12. If I wasn't someone that looked at each charge I wouldn't have seen this. Even after I called them they informed me that even if I picked the one month that I still would be charged until I personally contacted them. It is a scam! So when you pay for one month that doesn't mean one month and to get everything they have hidden fees.

Factual basis uncertain

The website advertised a cost of approximately $9 for obtaining background info. After I put in my credit card info, the bank notified me that they charged my card over $58. That is false advertising. Had I known it would cost that much, I would not have ordered it. I sent them an email demanding they refund the $58 back to my card. As this happened today, May 8th, 2016, it has not been resolved yet. However, I do expect a full refund and have already notified my bank of this incident.

Factual basis uncertain

I checked out the website to see if someone I knew has a record or had ever been trouble. I signed up for a one month, it did not say MONTHLY... subscription. I signed up for 22 bucks for one month however it began to show up on my credit card bill. I missed it for three months, when I called they said that it was for a recurring subscription. They were careful not to use the words monthly which is how it should have read if it was reoccurring. They did refund one month only after I said I would contact my credit card company, I have insurance against this sort of thing.

The site worked pretty well, except the very thing you would want to know about someone, whether or not they had a arrest record, is not available at the 22 dollar price. You would have to pay even more to see anything other than someone's address and names of family members which is moot and not worth the money. Don't waste your time with this site.

Two nights ago I received an email once again telling me that all of my personal information was online. Did I want to see it? Of course. After my previous experience with "MyLife.com" I wanted to know what dirt this group had on me. Much of the information was the same, only it got even worse. They had all the information on our mortgages for every house we had ever bought and every time we refinanced. That information is not for the public. If they want to find it let them dig and dig deep. Again they had information about every house we had ever owned and who lived there is its entire history.

The people related to my children that are just not true. They are names I've never heard of nor have they. This company should be removed from the internet because of all the bad information they are putting in a public information site. They should also be charged heavy fines for attempting to represent people without their permission. I'd like to see them hung out to dry!!!

Factual basis uncertain

Searched for address and phone number by name on WhitePages.com. When clicked on "View Listing", I was re-directed to "beenVerified.com. Then, the Internet Hyenas (beenVerified.com) hijacked my search and no longer I was able to get the information I needed. In fact, I was no longer able to log in to my Google page! After considerable effort, I was able to restore Google but not functioning as before. Still, when I am able to search WhitePages, the name is highlighted in light blue and still not able to get the information I am looking for. I was able to figure out: DO NOT CLICK ON "View Listing" or the hyenas will hijack your search and you will be not able to get out of it! CLICK ONLY ON the house or phone symbol on the upper right on the page!!! This kind of "slammers" should be hung or tortured to death! I would be happy to be the executioner.

On August 14, I had occasion to use a background service called Been Verified. The information that was given concerning the individual was mostly inaccurate to a astonishing level. (I am able to note this as I was checking on myself) The information showed a residence that I have not occupied in nearly thirty years and the only other data was for age and no reference to the social media I use. When I called I spoke with a representative who appeared disinterested in the various issues I raised. I immediately cancelled the service I had engaged less than a hour before and received a cancellation number. I have from time to time had the pleasure of using other more professional services that make every effort to supply correct information. Nevertheless, I can only rate this service as the poorest of the poor and would never recommend its use as it is of very little use in its function.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.
  • Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.
  • Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.
  • Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.
  • Best for parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

BeenVerified Company Profile