1.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BeenVerified is a background check provider with the mission of helping people discover, understand and use public data in their everyday lives. If you are interested in running a background check, then you have come to the right place. BeenVerified collects countless sources of public records and puts them in one report, making it easier for you to follow. Our affordable membership prices allows anyone to run background checks through our privacy-friendly public record search. Contact us today!

According to the laws of the FCRA, BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency and cannot be used for employment or tenant screening.

BeenVerified Video
BeenVerified Gallery (3)
View More View More

304 BeenVerified Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 2, 2019

I believe if I simply paste a copy of the feedback that I sent to Been Verified, the purpose of this message will be obvious. Here it is: Hello, Just a quick note to let you know how great my customer service was today. I called for the purpose getting a refund for an automatic monthly payment that I didn't want to happen because I intended to cancel my account. I talked to Nakeisha, who quickly and smoothly identified my account, confirmed the specific transaction and politely agreed to get my refund taken care of. This kind of professional customer service is why I would choose your company first if I ever wanted a Background checker in the future. Thanks!

Hello Joseph.

Thank you so much for providing feedback regarding your experience. We are so happy to hear that all of your expectations and needs were met with the professionalism our customers deserve. We hope to see you again should the need arise!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I bought a monthly subscription for this service for my job. I work in a local homeless shelter and it has helped me track down some of my clients' family members, research properties and assist my clients in understanding the need for honesty when I am assisting them. I even used this for my own personal use in researching a home that I was renting, and one that I was looking at purchasing. I was impressed by the information I could find on this. I kept this service for about 7 months when I decided to cancel it, because I had a job change.

Probably the most amazing thing to me was how EASY it was to cancel it. I was delaying canceling for the longest time, because I thought I'd have to spend hours on the phone. But it was a quick automated system. I just canceled my subscription a few moments ago and I had a monthly subscription, so I am unsure if it will go through, but if it does I would highly recommend this company to any and all of my friends and co-workers (in fact some of my co-workers used it and liked it as well). It's a decent background system that has an app and a website, and it is relatively inexpensive. I am still blown away at how easy the cancellation process was, almost so much so that I want to give this place more of my business.

Hi Micha,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience with the site as well as the cancellation process. We truly appreciate your recommendation to others and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I do not understand why he has bad magazines. This system is wonderful. We had a missing guy in the United States for 7 years, we tried all the means to find it until I found this application. Fortunately, he gave us all the information, including that he was already dead. Even though it was difficult to attack this application, the direction coincided with the data that the family had. We were able to verify that it was the. The use policies are clear about the information they give and that you have to pay more if you want more information. The customer service has been excellent, I recommend this application.

Hi Derly,

We appreciate your kind words. It's a comfort to know we could offer our help to locate the information you needed. Thank you for sharing your feedback and please keep us in mind for any future searching needs.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Participated in the 5 day trial with BeenVerified to view my report for accuracy. 80% of the information was old (which was good for me). However I was seeking a background search tool to help locate/contact my biological family. Decided not to keep the membership for that reason but was past the 5 day period. Satisfied with the way they handled my request for the refund even though I canceled late. Though this site didn't seem to be a good fit for my needs I do recommend others use this tool as a beginning in their search.

Hi,

Thank you for your great review! I'm sorry to hear we weren't the best fit for your needs but glad to hear our customer support team could handle your request quickly.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I recently did a google search for some information and found something that took me to BeenVerified. I did the report but decided not to spend the money for a subscription. I received an e-mail for a free 5 day trial and went ahead. I did not read the e-mail closely and assumed the trial would end automatically. I received an e-mail receipt from PayPal showing the new monthly subscription. I immediately e-mailed BeenVerified customer support asking to cancel my account and refund my money. Within minutes, I had an e-mail saying my account had been cancelled and would not be charged further. I then received an e-mail from PayPal that my money had been refunded. I am impressed by their quick response and integrity. While I do not anticipate doing this type of research in the future, if I do, I will use BeenVerified again without hesitation. Thank you BeenVerified Customer Support.

Hi Jim,

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with our Support team. Thank you for your feedback!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I used this service to look into a friend of mine and the information they gave did not seem trustworthy and was completely vague. Not worth the 27$!!! Was a complete waste of money and time to be honest.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The site literally doesn't have HALF of the people I wanted to look up (while they're available for their competitors) and the information isn't even accurate. I paid twenty something dollars to find a report full of fake social media accounts that don't even exist/are unofficial accounts (for famous celebs). Anyways, ain't paying again and might just give my money to their competitors.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

My experience is terrible. I contacted them but they are absolutely no help whatsoever. I was misguided, I feel as if it's false advisement. They had a subscription for 15 dollars so I purchased it. It never showed me a total to confirm until it was already too late. I was charged 44.58. I feel a bit robbed at this point. I cancelled it, it's useless anyways. The information on the site is terrible and they want you to keep paying for upgrades. Doesn't give you good information. I will never do this again!

Hi Jassmine,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

We offer a summary on our sign up pages to show the amount that will be billed upfront but we appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve as a company.

Resolution response: May 3, 2019

A resolution was reached the same day as my request for cancellation was submitted. My instincts lead me to believe that any other company that provides a similar service will likely not offer any more information than was available through the BeenVerified reports and my personal experience is not indicative that BeenVerified is a poorly operated service. I will consider this a learning experience and am appreciative a refund was offered in this situation.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I signed up for the 3 month subscription at a promotional price of $44.58 to use the service to look up old friends and myself. I am pretty savvy on how to search free information and public records, and thought there would be more benefit to the service. It was very disappointing and vague and inaccurate in some of the areas where I already knew certain information. There were offers to purchase more detailed information, but after purchasing the reports and receiving very little information, I would not trust the additional purchased detail would be more in depth. Cancelling immediately and feeling letdown and silly for paying for this service, wishing I could get a refund.

Hi Dawn,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any issues but we're glad you got to try out our site. Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $44.58. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Care team

Original review: May 2, 2019

I opted-out 9 months ago, as their website promises, they removed my personal data(s). However, I have requested for months now, that they totally and completely strike my name from their website. They now use my name as part of some ad, for the sake of garnering clicks. All I want, that which I deserve, is that they completely and utterly remove my name from their website in totality.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 30, 2019

I searched myself, and found a lot of errors. Wrong: addresses, emails, family members, social websites, financial, etc. There's an option on each piece of information to notify them to correct it. However, it's been weeks and all the wrong information is still wrong! I have been looking for work for a couple months now, and see that over half of the information is wrong and is likely detrimental to my employment search efforts if an employer uses all this wrong information as a pre-interview weeding out process.

Hi James,

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. Because we do not create the information, we cannot edit the information. Corrections occur through ongoing, systematic database updates.

So while we cannot edit your information to make corrections, please also know that we continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

Although we are unable to correct this information, you do have the option of opting opt. If you would like to opt out please use this link: www.beenverified.com/optout

Please note as per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks, Tenant Screening or FCRA Related Background Checks. BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information contained within our website has not been collected for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA.

I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@BeenVerified.com

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 26, 2019

You can get a better check for 95 cents. The information is vague and doesn't invoke trust in their data accuracy. I used it for checking to see if known acquaintance would be a trustworthy roommate and if there were any red flags. The report offered only info I could have acquired in Spokeo or People Search, FREE!! The court records HAHAHA, so left number. No court referenced offense statement. Save your money!!

Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry to hear we were unable to help you find the information you were looking for.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $26.89. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

The information in BeenVerified's reports is aggregated from public records and publicly available information. This public information is compiled through many public offices and agencies with the intent and for the purpose of it being made available to the public. There are many sources of public records, including: telephone directories, public property records, utility bills, magazine subscriptions, voter registration, and more. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data.

Please also know that we are constantly working to expand and improve our database, to provide you with the most current, accurate information we can.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2019

Joined almost a year ago to look up ONE person. Immediately canceled per their directions so was paying for ONE month. Information was worse than on other search sites. Skimpy. Inaccurate. They never stopped billing me. Online they said my email address was wrong. Had to call and email was ok. All confused at this company except about monthly recurring billing when you requested cancellation. So instead of a small fee I paid hundreds!

Hi Nancy,

Upon further review, we show you have two accounts.

We show you email us requesting to cancel one account but do not show a request to cancel the second.

Please be assured you were refunded for a total of $182.88.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: April 15, 2019

He was wonderful! He was knowledgeable, kind, patient, understanding, and quick. I appreciated working with him to fix my problem I called in about. He is a great worker and a great example of wonderful customer service. Keep him around.

Hi Negesti,

Thank you for taking the time to share your customer service experience speaking with Chris. We are pleased to hear he could quickly and kindly offer his assistance to you. We will definitely give him kudos for his hard work! Thank you again!

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: April 7, 2019

I currently use their services sometime over two years ago, and was charged a fee for said services. I was unaware there was a monthly recurring fee for their services being charged to an account that I rarely use. This went on for over two years and I never received any communication from them whatsoever. When I went to cancel they told me they would reduce my last month's bill by nine dollars because I was canceling and for the inconvenience. Run for the hills, this place is a scam.

Hi Sandy,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. All of our subscriptions are recurring. We let you know on the sign-up page that each subscription package will automatically renew until you elect to cancel. We also add our name and number to our billing descriptor in case our customers have any questions.

We attempted to refund your account but came across an error. Can you confirm if you have disputed these charges or closed that account?

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: April 4, 2019

I signed up for this looking for information about a person. I found more info than they have.... on Google... for FREE! Everything they had in the report was at least 5 years old so I decided to look myself up. What a joke! I apparently do not exist, except with a married name I only used for 2 years - 20 years ago! I called to cancel and get a refund because their information is pathetic. I was told that the information they have is gathered by other sources and they are not responsible for it. I told them to get better sources that are more current than 5 years. A waste of time and money, do not bother. But I did get my money back. :)

Hi Jerri,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any issues.

BeenVerified's database contains information collected from public records and publicly available data, compiled from thousands of different sources. Your ability to locate a specific individual in our database can be dependent on a number of factors, such as the amount of information collected on that individual by various government and private agencies, and the laws regarding public information in the state where the individual resides. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data.

If you are unable to locate a particular individual in our database, please know that we continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 28, 2019

Clicked link offering free background check, after a number of questions and 5 mins they generate a report and want you to sign up for membership to obtain it. Cost is over $20, very misleading. You should put cost of service upfront so consumers can make informed decision prior to entering information required to obtain report.

Hi John,

We do not have a link for a free trial. Our aim is to make the service as easy to use and affordable as we can. There are costs associated with obtaining the data and integrating that information into easy-to-read reports. Payment is required to sign-up for BeenVerified.

If you're interested in trying out the service, you can access a special $1 trial offer here: https://www.beenverified.com/lp/32fc4f/5/subscribe

Or you may want to check out our app for the iPhone or Android. The app is free to install (from the App store and Google Play store). With our apps, you can run unlimited people searches to get contact info and more, for free and you have the option of upgrading with a subscription to unlock criminal records and more.

I hope that helps.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Thought you wouldn't be charged if you tried out their website but you need to read it carefully you will automatically get charged after your trial without ANY WARNING. They just charge your card. I wasn't impressed with the site and regret ever using it. You can get some info from other sites like LinkedIn and others. Should of come here first. I normally look for reviews first but didn't this time. Big mistake!!

Hi Greg,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We do let you know that our plans are recurring until you elect to cancel your account.

Please be assured that we have cancelled and refunded your account in full.

If there is anything we can assist you with, please let us know.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was trying to locate relatives in my same state that I lost contact with after our parents died. All the phone numbers were no longer in service. I tried to get through to Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc... but those links seem to be outdated also. I am very disappointed after 3+ hours of searching the info provided for $22. Most of the additional useful info costs extra, as does getting a pdf version sent to your email box. Info such as workplaces, education, etc. which could verify, if you are looking at the correct person. I would not recommend this company. I will cancel ASAP. I wish I had read the reviews for BeenVerified more closely, before not after, I tried to use this service.

Hi Janie,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

With your account we show you do have access to professional and work history as well as to our free bonus data. Would you like for us to walk you through viewing that information ? If not, we are happy to issue a refund since you were unable to find what you were looking for.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 16, 2019

I logged into this service a total of 2 times in October of 2016. I did not realize it was a monthly recurring subscription service. They have charged me over 500 dollars to date. The company informed me policy dictates they can only refund 4 months. That means I was charged over 200 dollars per log in! This is insanity. In addition I never received any emails or notices of billing after my initial "subscription". They are perfectly happy in fact overjoyed to allow people to continue paying who don't realize they even have the service. When I emailed the services department I received the same mass email they send to everyone they have taken to the cleaners.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I asked some pretty basic questions to BeenVerified in order to make a determination for our company whether their services would be exactly what we needed. Needless to say it didn't get very far as I asked about docket numbers to which their response was, "When you mention docket numbers, are you referring to criminal records?" A background reporting agency should know what a docket number is referencing. It's a scam, any good review on here is most likely fake. They pull their records from free sources on the web and package it up for a nice price for you.

Hi Michelle:

After reviewing the email conversation with our support team, it shows we advised that you would be unable to use our website for your use case. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer further assistance to you and can understand this may be frustrating.

BeenVerified is a website that provides a searchable database of aggregated public records. This public information is compiled through many public offices and agencies with the intent and for the purpose of it being made available to the public. There are many sources of public records, including: telephone directories, public property records, utility bills, magazine subscriptions, voter registration, and more.

For this reason, per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks, Tenant Screening or FCRA Related Background Checks. BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information contained within our website has not been collected for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. Please feel free to review our Terms of Service at http://www.beenverified.com/consumer-terms-of-service.

I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@beenverified.com

Original review: March 8, 2019

To judge the accuracy of the tool, I searched myself. It had half of my addresses, potential family members, and social media wrong. And it shows I own 3 cars I have never seen before, but doesn't list a single one that I actually do. And there is nowhere to try to submit corrections. I won't be using this service again.

Hello Tiffany,

Please be assured that your account has been cancelled and a refund for the subscription fee was processed.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I just needed to use this one time. None of the information is anything I couldn’t find. Waste of money and time. I tried to cancel and now they want to charge me $37 to cancel. Ridiculous! Hoping whoever is reading this can take care of it for me.

Hi Kristi,

We are sorry to hear that. There is no charge to cancel an account with BeenVerified. The account was previously cancelled and we have issued you a $1.00 refund.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 1, 2019

Much like other reviews on here I signed up once in 3/18 for an employee background. Got little to no information I couldn't have found out in public records search. Canceled the account and as that was an OLD credit card didnt' see the next statements... They've been charging 22.86 ever since to my NEW credit card which I did not authorize. Called to complain... NO REFUNDS. Guy was a jerk. Will NEVER use their so called service again. How they can charge a different credit card (issued by same bank) without prior authorization is something I will be addressing with Bank of America.

Hello Amy,

I am not able to locate an account under your email address. Can you please email us and include your nine digit member ID or the email address on your account.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I tried to log into my account and could not get in and come to find out that someone called in, verified my information, pretended to be me and canceled my account. PAID SUBSCRIPTION and before it had expired. I spoke with Kim and she said that Joni allowed a FAKE Person to call me and block my account at the corporate level. My email, My Credit Card, everything block. Kim told me I had to sign up for a new account and I tried. They unauthorized my personal email and credit card. WHAT THE CRAZY FRAUD THEY GOT GOING ON.

Hello Belinda,

I apologize for any confusion. For security reasons, we prefer to close the account versus leaving it open just in case there is an issue with an unauthorized account. Please be assured that your account has been reopened and we have issued a free month of use for the inconvenience.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I thought I clicked on the trial offer for BeenVerified and accidentally hit the wrong button and got the subscription. I immediately called BeenVerified and spoke with a very nice lady about what had happened. She instantly refunded me my $22.00 (I believe that is how much it was, or close to it) and told me that I did not have to worry about my subscription error and that it was all taken care of. I am not one to look at my bank statement online a lot and saw I was STILL being billed the monthly fee of $9.99. I called back in November saying I was still being billed and they said they would cancel it.

Well, here I am 8 months later still being billed monthly. My original mistake happened in June 2018. Can you explain why I am not having my subscription cancelled like I have been told twice now? So my advice is buyer beware of being told your subscription is cancelled when it is not. Been Verified can look at their records and tell you that I have not used BeenVerified outside my trial period. Crookedness is what this company is!!!

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about any billing issues you are having. I am unable to locate any accounts registered to the email provided here. Can you please contact us directly at support@beenverified.com. We will be happy to assist you in locating the second account and getting that cancelled for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

BeenVerified Customer Care

We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I don't believe this site is real because I have tried on several occasions to start an account and the system keeps showing an Error Message of "Oops looks like something went wrong!!!" Don't waste your time by attempting to purchase a subscription. It's not a real service site!!!

Hello Tonzaino,

I apologize for any issues you may have had creating an account. I do see that an account was successfully created. I am also able to see that there were several attempts to create an account prior to that. It looks like there may have been a problem with the card but unfortunately, we are not given a specific reason as to what the problem was. It does look like you are all set now and reports have already been run in your account. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

BeenVerified Customer Care.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I wanted the $1 trial and somehow I ended up been charged $26.89/month for 5 months (as I didn't check my PayPal account and the $26.89 charges came in monthly)!!! I called BeenVerified customer service as one could see from the account that I used it on two searches only. I only got the $ refunded for one month and ended up paying $107.56 for two searches!!! I am VERY DISAPPOINTED as IT IS BAD BUSINESS to do that to customers!!! It sure feels more like a scam than a legitimate business when one charges customers and doesn't give a refund in spite of clear evidence of the account and services not being used for almost half a year!!! I cannot recommend this business. :(:(:(

Hi Lucia,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. All of our subscriptions are recurring. We let you know on the sign-up page that each subscription package will automatically renew until you elect to cancel. We currently billed based on the subscription chosen when signing up vs the amount of usage.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and we were able to issue an additional refund of $80.67 totaling to a full refund of $107.56 The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I looked up a name. Spent time while it went through the search but only at the very end does the site tell you there is a substantial charge. All other legitimate businesses post charges upfront. This is not a fair policy.

Hi Ronald:

Thanks for reaching out. BeenVerified's mission is to provide easy affordable access to public records, so people can use public data in their everyday lives.

On our home page before searching a name you have the option to click to login or to sign up. When you click sign up you will be able to see our pricing options.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support@beenverified.com

Thanks,

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I ran a report on a new boyfriend and myself. My data had addresses that I never lived at. The cell number listed I changed 4 years ago. My boyfriend's information was also not current. The most recent address listed is one for a location he has not lived in years. The data I received I could have derived from other sources at no cost. If anyone is thinking they are always getting credible data, they would be mistaken.

Hello Mary,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports. Please be assured that your account has been cancelled and a full refund has been issued.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly. We also offer a monitoring feature with all active accounts which allows you to monitor a report and be notified of any changes in that report on a monthly basis.

BeenVerified Customer Care.

BeenVerified expert review by Ben Mannes

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.

• Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.

• Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.

• Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

BeenVerified Company Information