1.91/5
Based on 123 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BeenVerified is a background check provider with the mission of helping people discover, understand and use public data in their everyday lives. If you are interested in running a background check, then you have come to the right place. BeenVerified collects countless sources of public records and puts them in one report, making it easier for you to follow. Our affordable membership prices allows anyone to run background checks through our privacy-friendly public record search. Contact us today!

According to the laws of the FCRA, BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency and cannot be used for employment or tenant screening.

BeenVerified Video
BeenVerified Gallery (3)
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 23, 2018

197 BeenVerified Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

Your site says free then you waste 15 minutes of my time and tell me the report is $22. $22 is not free. Free means no charge. Your company not right by doing this. This bad business. How can expect to start a business relationship when you start with a lie. I just opened a business in which I am going to have over 150 employees within six months and wanted a reliable company to do background checks. Tell me one reason why I should choose your company and be truthful not misleading please.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I recently did a google search for some information and found something that took me to BeenVerified. I did the report but decided not to spend the money for a subscription. I received an e-mail for a free 5 day trial and went ahead. I did not read the e-mail closely and assumed the trial would end automatically. I received an e-mail receipt from PayPal showing the new monthly subscription. I immediately e-mailed BeenVerified customer support asking to cancel my account and refund my money. Within minutes, I had an e-mail saying my account had been cancelled and would not be charged further. I then received an e-mail from PayPal that my money had been refunded. I am impressed by their quick response and integrity. While I do not anticipate doing this type of research in the future, if I do, I will use BeenVerified again without hesitation. Thank you BeenVerified Customer Support.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This company acts as if they are building this incredible an incredible report for you. The entire process takes about 15 minutes of your time. Their site says "Search Any Name for Free! Billions of records at your fingertips. Just download our app." However when you perform a search and then answer several questions, and then watch as it builds and builds, you are sent to a page with all of the information asterisked out. You are then told that you have to pay $22 to view the information.

So yes, you can search on a name for free... however if you want to see any of the details you have to pay. It would be like going to Google, and typing in your search query, and then being told that you have to pay to see that information. Also, they make you fill in your name and email before allowing you to continue to see your report. Then the next page tells you - that you have to pay. Very unethical practice. I'm sure my email will now be sold to millions of their advertising partners.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2018

I did a five day trial for 1$. I cancelled my account and they continued to take 25.47$ a month for two years. When I finally noticed I immediately called them. Customer service refunded me about 100$. Said she could only go back four months. She said that she could see where I had cancelled and she would put in a ticket to get the rest of my money. She said they would respond in about 48 hours. After a month of the run around and about eight tickets turned in with absolutely no response. I called back and demanded to talk to a supervisor. He told me that I was SOL. There is no evidence that I cancelled my service. What about the first representative that refunded me 100$. He said she was just being nice! Suggest people don't use this poor excuse for a company and tell everyone you know that they are a ripoff. I just wonder how many people they have done that to.

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out. We have been trying to reach you via email since May 8th to resolve this for you. We need to send a check to you for the remaining balance of your refund. Please email me at mperez@beenverified.com to let us know the name and address you'd like it sent to.

Kind regards,
BeenVerified Customer Care
support@beenverified.com

1-888-579-5910

Original review: May 6, 2018

Customer service is very responsive and personalized! Very easy to work with. I even contacted them on a Sunday and they responded within a few moments. I’m amazed at the Information that is available on people, and pleased that they make privacy a priority when I reached out to them.

Hi Marti!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you are pleased with our service.

Please let us know if you ever need any additional assistance at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Take care!

BeenVerified Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 2, 2018

This website is a total lie and scam from the beginning to end. I was looking for some background information with the judgment & liens option (I thought I will get this based on the main website page) and decided to fork the $22.86 (discounted) for unlimited reports for one month. Ran the report, and the picture that came with the report was somebody else (for a second I thought I typed the wrong name); most of the information was outdated and most even wrong. Nothing about the judgment & liens - for that they want another $15 found on a button called "premium information" not in the report you just ran under "Criminal & Civil" as one might think. OK, since I am already in this, I fork another $15 and get the information.

Let me try to run this "premium information" on myself, and guess what? I need to fork another $15. Here is the summary: On the front page on their website there is sample output report showing a whole list of benefits one think it will get once they sign up – NOT TRUE. After you sign up for their services, you find out some of those benefits from the sample report are actually part of an additional service called "premium information" for another $15, and this after you run a report. You pay for this now and you try to run this “premium information” on another report, you find out that this $15 charge is per report – this is not mentioned ANYWHERE.

Now that you got caught (SCAMMED) in this, if you try to print your report(s); good luck with that. Printing shows all scrambled pages with some of the information in it - USELESS. There is an option for PDF – guess what? More money – another $2.99. At least this time they say "enable PDF for all your personal reports". Nowhere on their front pages on the website I found any mentioning of the "premium information" and what it comes with that (maybe if you decide to dig through their whole website - who knows?). You would have to know what to look for.

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or available for every individual. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

BeenVerified has a satisfaction guarantee, and as such, I have issued you a complete refund of the current charges on your account. Please note that your subscription has not been canceled at this time. If you would like us to cancel your subscription, or if you have any further questions, you can reach us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 29, 2018

Recently, I noticed charges on my CitiCard account by BEENVERIFIED.COM which I did not recognize and had no recollection of authorizing the charges. CitiCard support informed me that these charges began in May of 2016 and amounted to $586.**. Due to health issues, I did not realize that you were charging my account until now. I vaguely recall that I had some interest in locating a friend from the past and, via a search, went to your website. Since you have my card number, I obviously authorized what I thought was a very small charge for a one-time search. You have been charging my account ever since. I would never have authorized that.

As I spoke with CitiCard, I checked my emails and found an email from you with a PDF to download. I looked at it and do not recognize the name at all and the information was and is of no interest to me. Since then, I have never received an invoice or any notification from you that you have been charging my account. I have never used any of your services and I want and complete refund for the $586.** in charges that I did not authorize.

Hi Anthony,

I hope that you are pleased with the resolution of your issue. Thanks for reaching out and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best,
BeenVerified Customer Care
support@beenverified.com

1-888-579-5910

Original review: April 25, 2018

The site was unable to verify the email information I was cross referencing. The dollar charge was unnecessary at that point and I can only get half the $ back because I was 1 day late in canceling the account. I’m assuming this is where they make some money. Charging people and refunding half.

Hi Stephanie,

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble locating the information you were looking for.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or we don't have a record for a specific individual. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

I'm sorry for any confusion regarding your refund, and I have issued you a complete refund of your subscription charge. You should see the funds returned to your account in a couple of business days.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 25, 2018

This is absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made. I should have just burned 22 dollars. This site claims that they have all this information so I bought the one month 22 dollars just to find what I could have seen for free on Google and on top of it this site was worse. I found more on Google than here. BeenVerified didn't even show my age.

Hi Leanne,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

I see that your account was already cancelled per your request, and I have issued you a complete refund of your subscription charge.

Original review: April 16, 2018

BeenVerified popped up on a Google search as providing a free background check. After about 15 minutes it finally said my report was ready and tried to charge me $22 for the report. Last time I checked, $22 is NOT FREE. BeenVerified lies and cheats in its advertising. How can anyone trust the information they CLAIM they have found?

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with this people search website. I paid $23 for the website to tell me the exact same thing I can find for free! Once you pay the initial $23 for the basic search they offer a "premium search" for an additional $15 which I paid and it told me nothing else! And that $15 is only for one person! I can't use the premium for every person I want to search, no I have to pay $15 extra for each one! Are you kidding me?! Plus you only get a limited number of people you can search without being charged extra. I assumed since I was paying for a month I could search as many people as I needed to but no. I was so angry I cancelled my subscription within 30 mins of doing it. I wish I never gave them my money. What a rip off!

Hi Christopher,

I'm sorry to hear that you had any trouble locating the information you were looking for.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or available for every person. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

Reviewing your account, I see that you have already received the full refund that you requested, so please let us know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This was an impulse buy, if you will. I decided to look up some old college and military friends that do not use social media (which shows a lot of sense these days). But the data I found was contradictory, out of date, and much of it was just plain wrong. Since I had already paid, I did the same for myself and found that it was just as bad. And if you want to dig any deeper, they try to get you to buy a 'Premium' package, a little detail they avoid telling you upfront. Besides, if an old friend has had legal troubles is that really something I need to know in any detail? And then, adding to the mess, when I hit ten profiles the ability to search any further just stopped. I ran the search on an 11th person and though the page said it was being delivered nothing happened. I ran it again and had the same result.

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble running additional reports. I was unable to locate any issues with your account that would suggest why that would be the case, it may have been a temporary bug.

Please rest assured that we have closed your account, you will not be billed again, and you have been issued a complete refund for your subscription.

If you have any further questions, please let us know at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I get a lot of phone calls for someone I don't know. For some reason, BeenVerified has my phone number--a number I've had for more than 15 years--associated with another person. I get creepy calls, telemarketing calls, and tons of wrong numbers for this person. No other background site has my number associated with this other individual... I've checked. I called today and was rudely informed that there's nothing I can do to have them fix the record. I can't opt the person out. I don't know the person. I'm stuck because these guys are shady. They act like their service is just magically pulling from public records.

I work in software. I know the data they're displaying when you search is housed in a data warehouse and that it's just a matter of modifying a record. They don't want to do that. Don't trust these people. They're shady and promote dishonesty. I'd change my number, but I've had it for 15 years and I shouldn't have to make changes just because of a dishonest company. I guess I'll just keep blocking the errant number. Beware.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I did not pay for the service; I only want to remove my info from their site. I went through their online process, which includes giving them an email address. They are supposed to send a verification email back that I want my info removed. No verification email was ever sent back to me though. When I tried to do it again, it says that an email was sent out, etc. When I called them, I was told that I am the only one who can remove my info via the opt out process that did not work and that I cannot do it again! So my info can never be removed, because of their ridiculous Catch-22.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Do not waste your money! This is a rip off a total scam. All the information they charged for was old and out of date or untrue stuff, you can find for free on the internet. It took three tries to cancel the membership. One 20 minute phone call and two emails and you will not receive a refund. Do let the ads get you.

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear that you had any trouble finding the information you were looking for.

We do our best to constantly update our database, but because of the nature of public records sometimes the information for a given individual is incomplete or incorrect.

BeenVerified has a satisfaction guarantee, and as such I have issued you a complete refund of the charges on your account.

If you have any further questions you can reach us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife and I have been flooded with emails from Been Verified. The information is far from accuracy. We’ve deleted the false information from our LifeLock account. And Been Verified seems to delete the information and anyone can start another account within hours. My wife and I are really thinking about hiring a lawyer about this company.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 28, 2018

I know very little about this company other than the fact that they have been calling many times a day every day for over a month. Up to 20 calls a day, 7 days a week (Illegal to call on Sundays I believe); anywhere from 8 AM to 10 PM. Only answered the calls once - robocaller.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 27, 2018

BeenVerified is running a scam from hell. They advertise it as free but it's not. I'm only rating it a 1 star because I can't rate it any lower or I would. They suck. No one should use them so please don't. My Black Ops badge # is as follows **.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 25, 2018

I don't understand why these companies put out there that they're going to let you search for free. Every single one of them let's you search and then they charge you. It doesn't make any sense. If they didn't want not to charge you they should just not charge you for the whole thing. It doesn't make any sense. It's absolutely ridiculous to waste somebody's time and information to obtain a public record which is totally public. This all includes phone numbers and so on just like it used to be in the white pages. You should be able to look up something publicly and if they're willing to let you search for free. Free means free. Free don't mean a dollar. Free don't mean $9. Free don't mean $39. It means free.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I discovered unauthorized charges on my credit card after using the service for what I believed was one-time (not a subscription). When I called, I was told I cancelled but there was a "re-subscription". The representative told me they would cancel it for the future but was unable to provide details as to how or when I approved any type of subscription. They did not quickly offer to refund the charges; I had to insist and then they only agreed to reverse the four most recent charges while their support team will have to look into reversing the older 3 charges.

Clearly I wasn't using the service during any of the months they were charging me and it seems to me anyone who uses the service once is susceptible to having a subscription they did not want or know they were authorizing. Based on my phone call, I do believe the matter will be resolved by BeenVerified.com and it is good that a telephone number was on my statement and they do have live, reachable customer service to deal with this but I still should not have been in this situation to begin with - it's deceptive that I could end up being subscribed to something (or re-subscribed) as they put it after cancellation.

Original review: March 22, 2018

The background check from BeenVerified is useless. I checked my own background. BeenVerified has address I never lived at. They have relatives and associates mixed up. E-mails are duplicated and ones they did not include my CA. state licenses (PI & TVS). Totally useless background check.

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

We understand that it can be frustrating to not be able to find what you're looking for, which is why we have a satisfaction guarantee. Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a full refund. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 17, 2018

Not only is the information outdated, but they placed an unauthorized charge through PayPal. Honestly, haven't we had quite enough with companies that make their money through false advertising and deceit? And do the profits through deceptive practices really exceed those that could be made through accuracy and an exemplary reputation? Congrats. And welcome to the 'one star' club.

Original review: March 12, 2018

They are trying to charge me again after paying for a month service, I'm suppose to be able to do background checks free for a month, why do they keep trying to charge me again, and information on background checks are not up to date like they say they are.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I signed up for a month to try and investigate a shady individual. Nothing came up, which surprised me. To see what type of information might appear in a report, I ran a different individual who I know has a lengthy criminal record which includes domestic battery and several DWI's. Again, nothing came up on this individual either. I am able to obtain the information on the second individual by searching the FREE court records. Then BeenVerified wants to charge more money to get "premium information". And they charge to get the info in pdf format. Total rip-off. Can get all the info BeenVerified charges you for at NO cost.

Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct or available for every individual. The Criminal Records section of the background report may include criminal records from county courts, department of corrections, Administration of the Courts, and other state legal agencies. The types of offenses can include felonies, misdemeanors, and even traffic incidents in some cases. Positive or false matches in criminal searches may not provide confirmation of an individual's criminal background. It is important to use caution whenever reviewing this kind of information.

While we put every effort into making our data as accurate as possible, we are dependent upon the criminal data made digitally available to us by the courts. There are some counties that make more criminal data digitally available to us than others (some include cases that date farther back, some counties provide arrests while others may only provide felony convictions), and there are still some counties that do not yet make their criminal data digitally available to us.

Please also know that we are constantly working to expand and improve our database, to provide you with the most current, accurate information we can.

Original review: March 8, 2018

When I signed up for BeenVerified I signed up for a 1 month membership. They continued to bill me for 4 more months before I caught it. I called them, was on hold for over 20 mins before I spoke with a customer service rep, who told me I signed up for an auto bill monthly of $22.86. I had 2 option when I signed up, a 1 month membership or 3 month membership, nowhere did it say auto renew or auto bill. Refused to refund the additional 4 months. Paid through PayPal, have not yet contacted them. This service was 1st of all, not worth the initial amount as the only information it supplied I already had and secondly shady billing practices, very unhappy with this company. Would never recommend anyone use them.

Original review: March 8, 2018

The advertisement online indicated that I can find property information. I input the address and it says report will be sent to my mailbox. I hit complete, then get a screen to sign up for service. So I sign up for service, search the same property and get a message that indicated no information found. STRAIGHT SCAM.

Hi Reginald,

The information in our reports comes from aggregated public records and publicly available data. Property sales data can come from the municipal office responsible for recording real estate transactions in the area. Parcel information may come from county records. The report may also contain tax assessment, mortgage data, and much more. We are dependent upon the data that has been made digitally available by county records and other public sources.

If we are missing data on a property, please know that we are constantly updating and expanding our database to provide the most accurate and comprehensive reports we can.

If you are seeing no results for your property search, please first check to see that you have entered the address correctly. If you were trying to search an apartment or suite, please try searching without the apartment number to return any data we have about the building. If we do not have any results for a property, we do not currently have any data for the address you searched. We are continuously adding to our database to be able to return data on more properties and improve the information we provide.

I was able to locate your account, and see that we have already issued you a full refund per your request on 3/07/18. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 4, 2018

I signed on for a "free trial" I thought you got Access to all the reports, or that's what they want you to believe. I learned that you have to pay separately for each type of report, and they do not make that clear anywhere! And I looked. When I e-mail them concerning this matter they informed me my account was cancelled, which I asked for, but completely avoided the part of them charging me for what I was lead to believe was part of the trial. I WOULD AVOID THIS SITE! THEY DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH ANY INTEGRITY!!!

Resolution response: March 8, 2018

I have posted a second review that is four stars based on your timely refund of excessive charges. Thank you.

Original review: March 2, 2018

As a landlord I use online background check services that compile public records information. I only do this on one person about once every other year. I always cancel the "subscription" after that use. My wife pays all of the numerous credit card accounts online and in preparing our financial information for our tax accountant she discovered that I used BeenVerified once and was billed for 13 months at 34.98 a month or 452 dollars and change. I cancelled the subscription by telephone after I used it once 13 months earlier but continued to be billed without my awareness. When I learned that I had a subscription I was refunded 34.98 for one month without being told that I had been billed for 13 months. I believe that this is deceptive and see complaints from other customers that document similar experiences. I think the company should issue a full refund.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I was so excited when I enrolled in a subscription with BeenVerified. Started with a control search on myself and was pleased with the results. I even got some information about my long lost relatives. Unfortunately I had a little hiccup with my membership but I just knew we could resolve this issue with a call to customer service. Mind you, it's 9pm est my way but their customer service department stays open late. (Score, all smiles). But here comes a customer service rep named Daniela (insert sadness). I had so much confidence and hope when I called in only to be met with one of the worst customer service experiences in my life. Granted my issue involved solutions that went beyond her department, but just asking her the most general questions seemed to irritate her which frustrated me.

She kept cutting me off quoting some web address. Not even listening or seeming the least concerned. I just hope this is not the experience for everyone that calls into BeenVerified customer service department. This seems like a legit 5 star company but with a 1 star customer service department all because of Daniela. Please note that I asked for her agent info but she stated that Daniela was all she goes by. Please Help. An excellent product deserves excellent customer service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Website is a total lie, I paid the fee and only got a few phone numbers and some useless info for background check. Do not waste your money, this site is a total scam. I should have read reviews first. Would like a full refund.

Hello Carlo,

I'm sorry that you had any trouble finding the information you were looking for with BeenVerified. Our data comes from public records sources, which means that sometimes our data is not complete or available for every individual or address.

We can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

However, I understand that it is frustrating when the data is not there for the people and places that you're looking up. Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a full refund. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

BeenVerified expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.

• Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.

• Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.

• Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs