1.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BeenVerified is a background check provider with the mission of helping people discover, understand and use public data in their everyday lives. If you are interested in running a background check, then you have come to the right place. BeenVerified collects countless sources of public records and puts them in one report, making it easier for you to follow. Our affordable membership prices allows anyone to run background checks through our privacy-friendly public record search. Contact us today!

According to the laws of the FCRA, BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency and cannot be used for employment or tenant screening.

BeenVerified Video
BeenVerified Gallery (3)
View More View More

223 BeenVerified Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I just created an account last night not even 24 hours ago thinking I was going to see a full report because it said I was going to get one. Turns out this company tricked me good and I’m so disappointed in thinking this was going to be a reliable website as it was the website that was continually recommended in my search engine. In order to get the full report I had to pay MORE money!!! I spent 22.86 on false advertising! Wish they were more clear with what you actually get! I would have never made this purchase had I known.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I signed up for the trial in order to help out a friend. Since then I've been attempting to cancel my account. This was over a month ago. They are still attempting to debit my account and I keep reporting it as a fraudulent transaction. Do not use this service.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I needed a driver’s license number for myself, from the last state I lived in. I fell for it... found the website, assumed that they could pull it up, set about $40 on fire. I am more disappointed in myself really...I fell for a scam.

Hi Austin,

I apologize for any confusion. We do not advertise that we offer drivers license on our website.

Please be assured I have issued a full refund for $37.72 billed for our services.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can help with.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

So if I had gone with their report I would have hired a felon with assault charges and several others involving drugs!!! Their current address was even wrong. Every piece of info reported by them I had already found for FREE with a few online searches. This woman was far from the "Upstanding citizen" they told me she was. If I had hired her I would be filing charges right now. Have requested a full refund, will see if I get it or not. Very unhappy, would not have given any star if it had been an option! My rating is a STAR-minus.

Hi Kimberly:

As per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks or FCRA Related Background Checks. BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information contained within our website has not been collected for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. We let our potential customers know this before signing up and after billing information has been entered you must agree to our terms of service. Please feel free to review our Terms of Service at http://www.beenverified.com/consumer-terms-of-service.

We are happy to assist you with closing your account and looking into issuing a refund but we were unable to locate an account under your email. Please provide the email address you used to sign up or your member ID.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had sign up the service 30 minutes, the website sound like everything you search will be included which is misleading. If you need criminal report that will be extra charge from 25 to 70 dollars, depended on which court you select. BEWARE, if that is what you need. The website will be useless for you, all information they provided you can find out on Google. Search nothing else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I signed up for the dollar free trial on a Thursday and have been trying since then to cancel the account but the number that they have for support is useless. Can't log into my account on their webpage and the email for support is invalid. I will be looking into file a complaint if I can't get them to cancel my account before I start getting charged. For me it's been a total rip-off experience.

Hi Larry,

We show you sent an email requesting to cancel your account on 9/16/18, we show that cancellation was processed within 10 minutes. Could you confirm if you received that confirmation?

Also what was the number you were using to contact us?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I had found a criminal history through a the justice department but was looking for more, checked for best background check on a search engine and this waste of time's ad came out on top. Obviously it was them gaming the search engine, I got nothing valuable and what I already had from the court records didn't show up but there were "locked" areas that I could open for more money. Total ripoff. I canceled immediately and want my money back.

Hi Daniel,

The Criminal Records section of the background report may include criminal records from county courts, department of corrections, Administration of the Courts, and other state legal agencies. The types of offenses can include felonies, misdemeanors, and even traffic incidents in some cases. Positive or false matches in criminal searches may not provide confirmation of an individual's criminal background. It is important to use caution whenever reviewing this kind of information.

While we put every effort into making our data as accurate as possible, we are dependent upon the criminal data made digitally available to us by the courts. There are some counties that make more criminal data digitally available to us than others (some include cases that date farther back, some counties provide arrests while others may only provide felony convictions), and there are still some counties that do not yet make their criminal data digitally available to us.

Please also know that we are constantly working to expand and improve our database, to provide you with the most current, accurate information we can. By activating the Monitoring feature on the report, you will be notified as soon as we receive any new information in this report, including a new criminal record.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $22.86. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Such a bunch of BS! Every time I put in a phone number they had nothing...then lure you back with emails and messages saying "We have new information on said number". I want my money back for this BS service! I tried finding out info about a number that was sending me threats and they just kept leading me on. Don't waste your time or money!

Hi Tammy,

We are sorry to hear you were unable to find the information you were looking for. Please be assured your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $26.89.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Looked up the info of, not only myself but some close family and friends. Nothing useful. Basic out of date information. Absolute RIP off. This site is a total scam. The information provided about myself was false and inaccurate. Purchased a premium check, same thing. Totally waste of money. Someone please shut these guys down. It gave phone numbers that weren't mine, along with information about addresses that weren't correct either. Please, do yourself a favor and save your money. There isn't anything offered that can't be found in more detail and for free with a few minutes of looking online. Please give me my money back you crooks!!

Hi Joshua,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

As you just experienced, sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data. We continuously strive to update and expand our databases in order to provide you with the most current and accurate information we possibly can.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $37.72. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be reflected on your bank statement.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Ok so it advertised as %100 free in its ads but after 15 minutes of loading bars they want to charge you. I would've probably paid if they weren't liars. This is a sneaky business tactic and I feel I can't trust the results if I can't trust their advertisements.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

This site is a complete rip off. They will charge your card for each search, and then when you go to see info it says, "We have having trouble with site. Try again later." PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SITE.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Looked up my sister in-law. 10 minutes of fake progress bars, warnings about how graphic the information would be, implications of criminal activity on her part and all I got was info from the phone book and advertisements to spend more money. It's Sunday night now. I'm going to call AND email in the morning to cancel. I've read that many people complained. BeenVerified ignored all their attempts to cancel their subscriptions and charged their credit cards anyway. I'm a consumer advocate. Bad idea!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Participated in the 5 day trial with BeenVerified to view my report for accuracy. 80% of the information was old (which was good for me). However I was seeking a background search tool to help locate/contact my biological family. Decided not to keep the membership for that reason but was past the 5 day period. Satisfied with the way they handled my request for the refund even though I canceled late. Though this site didn't seem to be a good fit for my needs I do recommend others use this tool as a beginning in their search.

Hi,

Thank you for your great review! I'm sorry to hear we weren't the best fit for your needs but glad to hear our customer support team could handle your request quickly.

Resolution response: Aug. 25, 2018

Been Verified did issue me a refund. I would have been satisfied with my search results had I not been asked to pay more for a more in-depth search on criminal background. I expected the entire search, not a partial for the money I payed. Thank you for the prompt refund.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Paid over $20 to background check on someone and everything but came up in a report. I already knew their name, address and phone number! I can get the background check for more money. Really? I sent an email after the initial search and about 10 minutes later I received a reply the account was closed. Why should I even pay a nickel for what they told me? YOU ARE MISLEADING AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Hi Tom,

Thank you for speaking with us. I'm glad we could offer more information on how we collect our data and issue a refund as requested. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was looking for only one address and canceled their service immediately as I had no further need and the information received was inaccurate. I felt a charge of $1.00 was agreeable however my tax attorney pointed out that BeenVerified has continually charged my credit card for the previous four months totaling over $90.00. This is a scam and amounts to possible criminal conduct.

Resolution response: July 22, 2018

BeenVerified confirmed my cancellation, refunded my trial fee, and agreed that thier customer service needs to improve. A good start to becoming a successful service provider.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I thought I would try their 5 day $1.00 trial. This is one of the most misleading sites I have seen in a while. The info they offer can easily be found on Google search. BUYER BEWARE, they use an old tactic called "FOR A BUCK MORE", which I myself used many years ago in marketing. Give them a taste and upgrade them for additional fees. They don't stop there. Canceling turns into the real scam and motive. I called to cancel. Automated system verifies my cancelation and then transfers me to a customer service rep who informs me that I must answer several questions and tell them why I am canceling. I told her I was not interested.

I told her the service was useless and please cancel. She then tells me that I must be more specific or she could not complete the process. Almost 5 min. of nonsense and I hung up. Pay attention folks! I then receive an email stating "Hello Scott, Thank you for your call today with Letyra. Below you will find a detailed summary of the recent changes that took place on 07/21/2018 at 02:58PM to your BeenVerified account. Your subscription was changed from $26.89 / Month to $9.95 / Month. Your next billing date is: 08/22/2018". BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Info paid for was a waste of money. Google would have given me same info. Gave me my address email and False information. No up to date information on anything. This is a scam. Misleads you into getting more information than that was given and makes you pay for premium info. 23$ fast easy affordable? Yeah ok. Do not use this site!! Warning!! I didn’t listen and now I am so upset. I immediately canceled after looking at the bs info they gave me. So mad.

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Michelle Perez

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: July 14, 2018

I was looking for information about my cousin who passed away a few years ago when I was very ill. BeenVerified had a deal for $1 as long as you cancelled before 5 days. I used that and got my information then cancelled my subscription. My credit card was billed for $26.89 even though I cancelled way before 5 days. I called to check it out and was told there is no record of me cancelling which is wrong. If you need the money that bad I'm sorry for you and will definitely not recommend you. Sorry I can't give 0 stars.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I cancelled my account immediately almost immediately as the information I got from "Been Verified" was poor. I got better info on my own. Then I thought I would pay additional 19.95 for a court runner, and what a rip off, less information than I had already obtained! Been Verified ID **, I should have demanded my money back, but they have it set up to cancel through an automated system so they can keep the original $22.86 and the "Court Runner for $19.95, so the total rip off was for $41.81. Small price to pay to see just what a joke the information was! I lasted 4 days awaiting the final report, and when I got more poor to mediocre information I cancelled immediately.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please note you can call our toll free number 1-888-579-5910 to speak to a live agent within the hours of 6am-11pm EST Mon-Sun or you have the option of emailing our support team at support@beenverified.com.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 26, 2018

I signed up for a $14.00 trial. I tried it out on a background check for myself. Info I got back was hopelessly inaccurate and it was vague so I wanted to see the full report and they wanted to charge me another $2.99. So I was going to dispute the charge through my bank and I looked at how much they took out exactly and it was minus $44.58 they took out that I did not authorize. So I have to wait about a week for the charge to finish processing then file a claim which can take up to about 90 days. So be aware of BeenVerified. If you fish in this pond, you get bit by a shark.

Original review: June 24, 2018

This site had me believing my sister had lied about my stepmother's death. I know my father died and they have him in his late 90's. How can you trust any further information. Out of date, out of touch. Go somewhere else!

Hi Ralph,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you haven't already, we encourage you to check out the Monitoring feature, which you can activate on up to ten reports you have run. Once Monitoring is activated, you will be notified as soon as we receive any new information in that report, such as a new phone number, address or even court record.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My experience is similar to most of the one star reviews. Signed up for something I thought was free thinking they needed credit card info only to verify my name and I’m not doing search for nefarious reasons. To add insult injury they ask for more money to access “premium” information on the person being researched. The person's info I got was mediocre, slightly better than my google search that led me to beenverified.com.

Read the company’s dos and don'ts very enlightening on what is legal and what you are allowed to search for and why (you shouldn’t use it for prospective employees or tenants). I canceled my automatic withdrawal the day I saw it come out by calling BeenVerified, they did refund the whole amount. I’m sure there is some value to a small portion of people that use this service but I’d bet their business model is built on signing people up for auto-pay/auto-renewal in hopes they don’t notice. I would have had harsher words and a one star had they not refunded me...

Hi Rob,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. Before entering your billing information you are required to select the subscription amount you want to purchase. We let you know that each subscription package will automatically renew until you elect to cancel and include a list of what information is included in your membership.

BeenVerified's mission is to provide easy affordable access to public records, so people can use public data in their everyday lives. For example, some customers use us to plan reunions.

We hope this helps!

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
support@beenverified.com

1-888-579-5910

Original review: May 30, 2018

This company is a ripoff. At first, it seems like a free service then after waiting 15 minutes for the reports they finally tell you there is a $25 fee. What they don't tell you is after you agree to pay the $25 fee that it automatically keeps billing you every month. Don't use them. It is a scam to start stealing money from you every month!

Hi Ed,

Thank you for taking time to speak with us. I hope we have resolved any concerns you had regarding your account and the charges you received. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Original review: May 27, 2018

BeenVerified.com fails to deliver accurate information about the Subject. What is going on here? I ran a check on myself and none repeat none of the information was accurate. I plan to ask Paypal for a full refund because the information furnished was completely false.

Hi Elliot,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into any inaccurate information in your reports.

If you need assistance with your account, please feel free to reach us at 1-888-579-5910 or email us support@BeenVerified.com

Original review: May 26, 2018

First I had to say I take responsibility for my credit card continuing to be charged however it was a bad time in my life and I would like to see companies after 3 months of charge eBay card be required to check with the individual if they want to cancel their account. Now after I found out that I have been charged several months I thought okay I'm going to check one more report and then I'll cancel my service and then want to charge me again. So I went online to find how to cancel BeenVerified. I did go through a bunch of crap then they charged me $35. Do not waste your money.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 23, 2018

Your site says free then you waste 15 minutes of my time and tell me the report is $22. $22 is not free. Free means no charge. Your company not right by doing this. This bad business. How can expect to start a business relationship when you start with a lie. I just opened a business in which I am going to have over 150 employees within six months and wanted a reliable company to do background checks. Tell me one reason why I should choose your company and be truthful not misleading please.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for reaching out.

I apologize for any confusion. You can search for free to see some basic information on our site, and you can also run free reports on our app. In order to view full reports payment is required.

Please note that we would not be the appropriate website for your use case. As per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks. Please feel free to review our Terms of Service at http://www.beenverified.com/consumer-terms-of-service.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I recently did a google search for some information and found something that took me to BeenVerified. I did the report but decided not to spend the money for a subscription. I received an e-mail for a free 5 day trial and went ahead. I did not read the e-mail closely and assumed the trial would end automatically. I received an e-mail receipt from PayPal showing the new monthly subscription. I immediately e-mailed BeenVerified customer support asking to cancel my account and refund my money. Within minutes, I had an e-mail saying my account had been cancelled and would not be charged further. I then received an e-mail from PayPal that my money had been refunded. I am impressed by their quick response and integrity. While I do not anticipate doing this type of research in the future, if I do, I will use BeenVerified again without hesitation. Thank you BeenVerified Customer Support.

Hi Jim,

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with our Support team. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 14, 2018

This company acts as if they are building this incredible an incredible report for you. The entire process takes about 15 minutes of your time. Their site says "Search Any Name for Free! Billions of records at your fingertips. Just download our app." However when you perform a search and then answer several questions, and then watch as it builds and builds, you are sent to a page with all of the information asterisked out. You are then told that you have to pay $22 to view the information.

So yes, you can search on a name for free... however if you want to see any of the details you have to pay. It would be like going to Google, and typing in your search query, and then being told that you have to pay to see that information. Also, they make you fill in your name and email before allowing you to continue to see your report. Then the next page tells you - that you have to pay. Very unethical practice. I'm sure my email will now be sold to millions of their advertising partners.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We tried to reach you via email to gather more information so we could help you but have been unable to connect. Can you please email me so that we can address your concerns?

Michelle

BV Customer Support

Original review: May 8, 2018

I did a five day trial for 1$. I cancelled my account and they continued to take 25.47$ a month for two years. When I finally noticed I immediately called them. Customer service refunded me about 100$. Said she could only go back four months. She said that she could see where I had cancelled and she would put in a ticket to get the rest of my money. She said they would respond in about 48 hours. After a month of the run around and about eight tickets turned in with absolutely no response. I called back and demanded to talk to a supervisor. He told me that I was SOL. There is no evidence that I cancelled my service. What about the first representative that refunded me 100$. He said she was just being nice! Suggest people don't use this poor excuse for a company and tell everyone you know that they are a ripoff. I just wonder how many people they have done that to.

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out. We have been trying to reach you via email since May 8th to resolve this for you. We need to send a check to you for the remaining balance of your refund. Please email me at mperez@beenverified.com to let us know the name and address you'd like it sent to.

Kind regards,
support@beenverified.com

1-888-579-5910

Original review: May 6, 2018

Customer service is very responsive and personalized! Very easy to work with. I even contacted them on a Sunday and they responded within a few moments. I’m amazed at the Information that is available on people, and pleased that they make privacy a priority when I reached out to them.

Hi Marti!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you are pleased with our service.

Please let us know if you ever need any additional assistance at support@beenverified.com or 1-888-579-5910.

Take care!

BeenVerified Support

BeenVerified expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Been Verified is a people search site based in New York, NY. It aggregates public records into an easy-to-read report. According to the laws of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency. This means there a number of restrictions in the way you can use BeenVerified. Consumers are restricted from using BeenVerified for: employment screening, hiring of household workers, tenant screening, educational qualification, credit or insurance and business transactions initiated by an individual customer.

• Affordable plan options: BeenVerified is one of the most affordable People Search services available. The company offers plans starting at $10 per month.

• Instant result reports: BeenVerified offers several services that can offer results to customers within a few seconds.

• Seven-day customer service: BeenVerified offers customer support representatives every day of the week to assist customers who need help.

• Clear guidelines: The rules regarding running background checks can be complicated and fuzzy, but BeenVerified offers clear guidelines, illustrated with cartoons, about what the site can be used for and what it cannot be used for.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs