toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Very good in locating people. Much better than 411, only problem is when signing up it was not clear the number of contacts you could make in 1 month, but of course you can pay as I found out for more.

Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: April 18, 2017

On Sept. 6, 2016, I signed up on the Spokeo website for what was represented as an "all access" 6-month search plan for $29.70. Soon after I entered the site, I discovered that I was only able to access the e-mail search, and would have to pay extra for any other searches that I wanted to make. I immediately emailed Spokeo an email that began, "Good Evening, a few minutes ago I signed up for a plan which was represented as if it was an 'all access plan'." I explained in the email that since I didn't get what I thought I was buying, I wanted to cancel the membership, expecting that my $29.70 would be refunded. However, later that night, I received a reply from Spokeo that they had disabled the automatic renewal, but that they had not generated a refund.

I was not very interested in email searches, and the Plan Specifications for the Premium Plan that I bought gave me 200 searches, so on 10/27/2016 I went ahead and added the Name Search also for an additional $17.15, thinking that at least maybe I could find some old friends. For the first few searches everything went fine, until November 1, when I had done 20 Name Searches. Then I got a message that I could only do 20. I sent a message to Spokeo, asking why I could only do 20 Name searches when my plan specified that I could do 200? The reply from the Spokeo representative said: Their subscriptions are initially offered for a "single search type." My subscription allows a quota of 20 searches per month. "If additional search types are needed, you can purchase them at a prorated cost. In addition, we show that this account did not have a 200-Email Search service."

The next day, on 11/3/2016 I emailed Spokeo back and told them that I wasn't trying to be difficult, but a mistake had been made on my account, and I would appreciate it if someone would look it over and fix it. I had a screenshot of the Plan Specification that was in effect when I bought the membership to Spokeo. It showed 200 E-Mail Searches per Month. I also had a screenshot of the Plan Specification that described the Premium plan on THAT VERY DAY, and it showed 20 searches EACH to NAME, EMAIL, PHONE, and ADDRESS. It was described as an "ALL-IN-ONE-BUNDLE". In response, Spokeo's email back to me said, "Upon review of the account I can confirm that the Name Search subscription purchased on the account was for a limit of 20 searches," and basically repeated what the previous email had said.

I was so frustrated with this bunch! There seemed to be no way in heck to get them to listen, to look, or to even TRY and understand logic. But on February 27, 2017, I thought I'd try ONE MORE TIME. I sent a message and just said, "I know what I paid for, I know what I was supposed to get, I know what I didn't get, and somebody there needs to do their job and look at what I'm saying!" I sent both screenshots again, and told them that I paid for 200 searches. I did not get them. The plan was changed. But I did not receive the benefits of the new plan either, SO, I actually paid a total of $46.85 for 20 e-mail searches per month + 20 name searches per month. AND IF Spokeo still insists that my plan did not include the 200 name searches per month, but instead was the new Premium Plan, which included 20 Name, Email, Phone and Address searches, then please refund me my $17.15 that I paid for the Name Search add-on to my plan.

Spokeo promptly refunded me the $17.15, which means that they FINALLY understood that they had changed their plan, but they didn't give ME the plan I paid for. Even after they changed to the “All Access Plan” I could only perform 20 Email and 20 Name searches per month. This was a total ripoff, and one of the most frustrating experiences with a business’s customer support that I have ever had.

Refunded without questions. Very good service for their customers. I appreciate them doing a service with no questions asked. It was a good service, but just not enough info for what I was looking for for $9.95. Thank you for the refund and service.

Spokeo is easier to use than the competition. You offer the small pkg which I will use often. I wouldn't use the larger pkgs. Your personnel are knowledgeable and pleasant. I am very happy with the Spokeo business. Don't change anything!

I did find him deceased but I found another friend at the same time that I connected with because of the site with my first try. I had great time and a wonderful experience and I would recommend only this site to my friends and family. I have been looking for this friend for ten years. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Within a couple of hours I realized this site wasn't useful for my needs. When I called to cancel the representative was soooo nice and put customer service first. I would recommend at least trying this site.

When I first noticed a charge of $19.95 to Spokeo on my Visa statement today, I didn't even know what Spokeo was. I had to call the company to find out, and discovered I had been enrolled into a monthly subscription after paying 95 cents to look up one number on Sept. 14, 2016. I guess I didn't realize I was signing up for a 7-day free trial that would automatically convert to a monthly subscription if I didn't cancel it within a week. I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't catch that recurring monthly charge of $19.95 from Spokeo on my credit card for 7 months.

My story does have a happy ending, though, with the company ultimately refunding the full $139.65 I had been charged since September. I'm rating the customer service 4 instead of 5 stars, because it took me three phone calls with three different customer service representatives to reach that result. The woman with whom I spoke during my initial call told me I was stuck with the charges, but that I would have access to the service for the rest of the month I had paid for (through April 21). When I asked if she could please refund at least some of what I had paid for the service I didn't realize I had and that I had only used that one time in September, she told me the best she could do was refund $9.98.

I decided I might as well get some use out of the service I'd paid for by doing some searches tonight, but I kept being told on the website that I would have to pay for them. I made another phone call to find out why, and this customer service representative said that, because I'd been refunded $9.98, my access had been cut off as of today. I asked if she could do anything to at least give me the access I'd been told I'd have for the remainder of the billing cycle, and she said she would discuss it with a supervisor.

While I was on hold, I decided to search the Internet to see what kind of experience others had had with Spokeo, which led me to this site. One of the first reviews was from someone who had the same story as me (unnoticed recurring monthly charges of $19.95 for a subscription he didn't realize he had), but who had been given a full refund of all monthly charges. When the customer service rep came back on the line to tell me that she could do the searches I had tried to do for me, I pointed out the review I'd just read. I told her I didn't really need to search anything and would rather be given a full refund like the man who wrote the review. Back to the supervisor she went, and she came back with an offer of a refund for February and March. I asked if she could do better and she threw in January.

After I hung up, I read more reviews and discovered from a review posted less than a month ago that someone else who was unknowingly charged $19.95/month for TWO YEARS for a Spokeo subscription she didn't realize she had was given a full refund of all charges she'd paid. I called Spokeo a third time, explained my situation to a very pleasant representative named Rose, read her the review of the woman who was refunded two years worth of charges, and said that I would like to receive the same level of customer service as the reviewer and be given a full refund. Off she went to consult with her supervisor and, lo and behold, she came back and told me they would refund all of my charges going back to September.

The moral of my long-winded story is to be persistent and say that you would like to receive the same high level of courtesy and customer service that the people who had written positive reviews were given (arming yourself with at least one or two to read to them) - AND - be sure you know exactly what you are getting yourself into when you do your initial search on Spokeo!

Was actually given a refund for the full two years this card and as my husband pays the bills, I had no idea about this charge. I don't know if I just didn't read the fine print in the agreement or not, but I complained to Spokeo and asked that two years of monthly payments be refunded. The company could see that I'd never accessed their services during that period and refunded the entire amount without a hassle. I was amazed at this level of customer service and have complete faith in their trustworthiness. Outstanding customer service. I won't hesitate to do business with them in the future.

Dear Mary,

Original review: April 6, 2017

I wanted it erased but it is still there. It shows me older but I am there and want to be erased. I WANTED MY PROFILE COMPLETELY OFF YOUR SITE BUT IT is not! I also wanted to look up more people but I can not now. I love the site but all your information on people is NOT accurate and people NEED TRUTH, NOT LIES! PLEASE erase all MY INFORMATION! Thank you.

Avoid surprises! When one signs up for 1 month/1 event and find out that they've really purchased 6 months. Would encourage clarification and reinforcement of what the customer is about to purchase before initiating a purchase/subscription... Otherwise, you have a great product and excellent customer service!

Dear Jo-Anne,

Original review: April 6, 2017

Every time I try to log in to my account it ask for my bank information. I have already paid for the service. Why won't it let me get into my account? Please check into this for me and get back with me.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Dear Tim,

Original review: April 6, 2017

I tried one of the trial plans. There was no information on that was available, and I cancelled within the required time. It supposedly cancelled the plan, I was charged for the initial search. Now I found out I have been paying for it for the past 2 months. Bad business model, when they tell you it is cancelled and it has not been.

Dear Nancy,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: April 1, 2017

I signed up for to look something up one time. Spokeo instead charged me $19.95 and $9.85 for continuing a subscription I did not sign up for. My experience is the same as at least five other users during the month of March 2017 alone. And these five people are the ones who took the time and trouble to write a review. Luckily, I challenged this with my credit card company and was able to have the charges reversed. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

My experience with Spokeo was awesome. I was able to get the information I needed to move forward with my life. Things I had been thinking were true/untrue were cleared up. As well as things I never knew. Thank you Spokeo for helping me make my life more manageable.

I had a good experience in locating family and friends that I had not seen or heard from for some time. I was able to locate friends and family that have relocated. The Spokeo has been most helpful with my research. I been in touch with love ones because of this wonderful service.

Without realizing that I was being charged month after month, which was my own fault by not checking my statements regularly, they still refunded me the entire amount of all those charges, without any argument and I appreciated that. The lady on the phone was very friendly and helpful and I didn't expect that either when I made that phone call. I really don't enjoy making these types of phone calls. I can't give them a 5 star review however. Simply because their pricing information (last year, maybe now it's better) is not very clear to me. Oh well, live and learn. Glad to get my money back and that is the bottom line here.

Dear Laura,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: March 29, 2017

Everything on there was useless. I already knew everything that was shown and the information provided was completely out of date. I made an account on some sites it claimed to look up using my email and names and everything and it still couldn't find it. I don't think they actually search through what they claim to search. I wish I could get my money back but I know they will just call me or something and try to talk for hours convincing me it's a good site but it's crap. Total rip off.

Great resource to help put your mind at ease. Especially, when there are question about your BOO's cell phone usage. I have used it to obtain other information as well. Such as tracking unknown callers and their location. This online service has aided me in making choices and decisions. I highly recommend it.

We have used Spokeo for years, and, on occasion, have had to contact Spokeo and discuss our account. Customer Service has been responsive, explained things clearly, and have been generous in adjusting the account for any misunderstandings. We would recommend Spokeo for those who need a lookup service.

Your site is extremely accurate and comprehensive. So far, it is the best site I have encountered on the internet. Keep up the good work. Recommend this site to anyone who may have a need to do research work. Awesome!

Overall, I find the text translation to capture the essence of the voicemails. The program is very useful for people such as myself who are in meetings and are not able to listen to voicemail in real time easily. The translation is good but not perfect. I'd say it is 90% there and I really like this application.

Spokeo was very cooperative and responsive to my request for credit as a result of a misunderstanding about a subscription to Spokeo. I would use them again if I had the need to search for many numbers or people. System was easy to use.

Dear Peter,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: March 25, 2017

Charged for two services mistakenly/plans. Cost for services debatable value. Not much contact or help from you otherwise merely content to charge fees. Wow, can I just say your fees do not warrant an extreme satisfaction and you do not really give that much in service or care for your customers.

It was ok. I just wanted to see if it was like all the other sites they have on. You can find out about others things too about what kind of background they have and who they are. I only had been on it once.

I used Spokeo to locate hard to find classmates for a 50 yr. reunion. Excellent source. They provided several means of contact for individuals. Extremely pleased with their services. When I called to cancel they were polite and did not try to coerce me into keeping my membership.

Dear Derwin,

Original review: March 24, 2017

You guys are way behind on your information. When I went in to your site it tells you 1 price. It don't say anything about pay the whole 6 months and all of the dates are wrong. Plus you can only get so far then it asked for more money. Maybe I don't know how to run the site but you asked for my opinion.

Had good experience. I found and located people that I wanted to get information on and telephone numbers and addresses two friends I knew. I would definitely recommend this service to anyone who's looking for people addresses and phone numbers.

Dear Ben,

Original review: March 24, 2017

Individual lookup & reverse phone look up - Info did not match another company's results. Consequently no results were verified. It was a waste of time and money. No results were acceptable. No name was associate with the report. Was it a cellphone or a landline. It did not provide a physical address. Not acceptable.

Dear Howard,

Original review: March 24, 2017

In finding an email Address: Discovering the email address I am given is a "blind" cover is makes it hard to verify any information! Thanks, at least I know the sender is less than open with their info! At least I have temporarily Avoided a potential scam!! Thanks.

Gave the answers I needed for phone numbers when the number is listed so that we can keep track of specific callers to all our cell phones. The only thing I would say, wish it wouldn't cost so much otherwise, I would have kept the account.

Dear David,

Original review: March 24, 2017

When I began using Spokeo a few years ago, it was free, and it provided information on people's relationship status. Now it charges, and no longer provides this information. This means more is being charged, but less is being delivered.

Spokeo.com Company Profile