1.08/5

Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

650 Spokeo.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

This website is dangerous and creepy. On it, anyone has access to personal information. Although it is not always correct, there's usually at least an address and this is not ok. I went to this site to remove listings about me and my family and my LITTLE BROTHER was on it. He was NINE at the time and this site could have given someone the information they needed to kidnap him. Please, this site needs to be boycotted or shut down.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased a one-time request and ended up getting no information that I was expecting to receive. I got the same information from looking up the prefix of the telephone number. Spokeo should not be in business!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 12, 2019

Very deceitful billing process... Do not sign up. They sneak the charges onto your credit card bill, and if you have a lot of charges, you may not notice their sneaky little $25 dollar charge for a few months... That's how they get you...

Original review: March 6, 2019

I don't know how or why a company like this is allowed to attempt to compile or provide private information about people, especially since the info they provide is so far from reality it makes no sense. If lawmakers cared about anything but enriching themselves this kind of scam would be shut down and the people behind it would be doing some jail time.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This company gets paid to post private, public information about people without their knowledge or consent. It is a sickening invasion of privacy and they should be shut down. They have my court records listed and absolutely refuse to take it down unless I have my record expunged, which I am not in a financial position to do right now. They are basically forcing me to expunge my record when I can't, holding my privacy hostage at their disposal, not caring at all about how this affects me. The public no longer has control about their own private information being given out. Thanks to companies like this and it needs to stop. I would encourage anyone and everyone to pursue legal action against this company for clear invasions on their privacy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I paid for full membership on Spokeo because a particular phone number has been harassing one of my children and none of us recognized the phone number. I got minimal to zero info after paying for their membership fee (despite paying the extra fee for court and personal records). Curious as to how accurate the information was that I had just paid for, I decided to look myself up. To say my information is WILDLY INACCURATE is a gross understatement! The only thing this site got correct was my address and email. It claims I am single, have no children, no known relatives, am on no social media sites nor can they find any info that links my email to any websites, that I make a whopping $90,000-$110,000 a year??? (Dang... taxes must be really high in this State cause I make maybe a third of that).

I would love to know where they got all the BOGUS information from that I just paid money for? This site is nothing more than a scam. I also looked up my Father to see if his information was correct and they only got his address right. They have no record of him marrying my Mother, that he had any children (he had 4), nor that he passed away on February 28th of last year. This site is an absolute disgrace!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Signed up for the trial period and the information that they reported was highly inaccurate and incomplete. I am sure this is to get you to invest further. Canceled the service within the time period specified and apparently it was not received and continued to charge me for additional months. Called to cancel which they did but no consideration on the previous month charges. This is where they make their money. Beware and do not give them your credit card information.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Why is Spokeo.com listing people's home addresses? I have a restraining order right now and would prefer my address not be known so that someone violent doesn't find me. This violation of privacy is disgraceful, disgusting, and downright dangerous. Although I believe in God, I am not Christian, which they listed me as. They also listed an incorrect salary under my name. I am now worried about an interview I have on Friday because if the manager decides to do a search about my name, it will paint me in a bad light. Spokeo.com should be boycotted along with any website that intrudes on the lives of others; I'm hoping they are eventually shut down forever. Thank you for reading this message.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I received an email from Spokeo today. They claim to be refunding $199.50 in addition to $19.95 that they claim to have previously refunded me, but that I never received. They will not tell me the email address associated with this mysterious account but have been charging my card for one month shy of a year. Perhaps they refunded him or her the money. Please be careful with this site. There has never been any activity on this account since it was set up, but I was charged for almost a year. I am very dismayed and scared by this. I am awaiting further response to my questions and I will be filing a complaint with the FTC in hopes of keeping this type of thing from occurring again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I used Spokeo to search a phone number one time, at a charge of $0.95, I was fairly thorough in making sure I wasn't enrolling in a subscription because I know how these sites usually work. Two months later I realize they've charged me $20 the past two months. I called them to request a refund, they told me they would only be able to refund me $15 of the $40 charged. I never once used the service between the initial search and now, so it would be ridiculous to charge me for a service I never used. I ended up asking to speak to someone higher up, and THEN they were able to refund the full amount, I never even ended up speaking to someone higher up than the initial customer service representative. Always go up the ladder! Never again will I use Spokeo, though.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I needed to find a single phone number for my aunt to notify her of my mother's death. They did give me the right number and I thought I was paying $19.95 for a single use. I realized 2 months later that they were charging my credit card $19.95 monthly when I had no idea I had signed up for a useless subscription. Don't use this service.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I was Googling my address when I spotted Spokeo. I noticed they had misinformation about my residence. I called and tried to get them to correct the information, but they continue to report two people living at my address who have never lived at my address. They said that they would and wait a couple of day, but nothing has happened. Spokeo simply picks up unsubstantiated information and publishes it. I feel violated. Those people could be identity thieves. I am the homeowner. Spokeo should have verified this information with me before reporting it. Spokeo should not be allowed to publish incorrect information that can put the public in possible danger. Those people could be criminals.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Got totally wrong info in the little but I was given. Was told I to purchase a PDF. Nothing was said about that prior. Tried to send customer care a message and was bounced all over. Still can't tell if they received it. Would advise everyone to stay away. Scam.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I've seen Spokeo.com pop up often while I was searching for genealogical info and I simply ignored it. Today it popped up while I was looking at something entirely different and showed information that I knew was totally incorrect. So I started checking using family members. An off-spring listed as living at this address -> not for the last 10 years. Mother-in-law living both here and out-of-state -> dead for over 8 years. Father-in-law living bot here -> never happened and dead 12 years. My wife and I are listed at a previous address -> 38 years ago. The list goes on and on. Why? Because they are using web bots (robots, aka web crawler or web spider) to search the web and collect data. Right or wrong. Real or fake. Doesn't matter. You can do better on your own and make better connections. If you think their "service" is worth paying for, you are prime for any of the Nigerian scams going around.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Did a search on an email ID and the site said it found X results and to pay for the "report." As soon as I coughed up the $ it went to a page saying there were zero results for the search. Zero. This company is a complete SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wasn't sure if a search I ran would give me real results if I paid for them so to check I ran a search for a fake email on a domain I own. I was told there were 12+ social network hits. This is FAKE!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I did a cell number search for .95. Nowhere was there anything stating I was subscribing to their service. Eight days later there was a $24.95 charge on my credit card for monthly service. I called the company to request a refund which was denied. They offered me a 40% refund. The info I received was not accurate. I found better info with a free google search. This company is charging for outdated info and for subscription service when there is nothing about being subscribed when you pay the 95 for a single search.

This is intentional and they make their money by scamming everyone that orders a single .95 search. Avoid Spokeo.com at all costs because you will get ripped off a week later by them adding a charge for searches that you will never use because they never send you any info or statement. They just throw in that charge and if you don’t check out the charges on your card you’ll never know they’ve done it. I imagine they make a lot of illegal money doing this because the average person won’t notice the reoccurring charge till 2-3 months later. When you call for a refund they refuse. I wish there was a way to shut this company down because nothing about this operation is legitimate.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I agreed to pay .95 cents for a one-time lookup but discovered they were charging me $29.95 a month for a monthly subscription I never agreed on. This is a scam site. Do not use their services unless you want to be charged monthly. Criminal!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a one time report for $1.95 on top of which they have added $0.95, which is OK. But then I was surprised to find out months later that I've been paying $19.95 every month for a subscription I did not authorize. There was not a single email or mail on this from them. I clearly remember there was nothing that mentioned it was a trial. The customer service was rude when discussing this. I asked him why there is no monthly statement for their service, which would have caught my eye way before if it was the case. He kept telling me the monthly statement is the charge I see in my credit card. This was absolutely ridiculous. So, stay away from this company altogether.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Beware of the Spokeo Deception. I performed and paid for a single phone # search through the Spokeo site several months ago, and just noticed on my bank statement a reoccurring monthly charge of $19.95. At that time there was no indication that by performing a single search that I was signing up for a monthly subscription. If they had, I would have never used Spokeo. They make way more money using this deception than being upfront and honest with the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

In order to research a renter I authorized Spokeo to charge $0.95 on my credit card. I stopped navigating their web pages when they asked for more money. A subsequent fraud alert from my bank turned out be due to the fact that Spokeo had started a yearly charge of $24.95 on my credit card.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This service of Spokeo is a shame and a joke, I was trying to research a phone number and all I got was the same phone number and nothing else. What a joke. This is an scam. Don't waste your time and money.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Used this site for a reverse search which provided me no information whatsoever on the individual I was looking up. Not only that they charged .99 which ok no big deal. They didn’t make clear that after so many days they rolled it to a monthly subscription that charges $19.95! Imagine my surprise when I was billed by them yesterday! So I called customer service and got a run around first of the usual “you still have access for x number of days! But your account is cancelled”. I reiterated I wanted a refund, I didn’t care to use their service again and that they weren’t clear it was a subscription I was going to be billed for.

To which they offered a partial refund of their shortest package but refused to do a refund still. I explained again I had no use for their service (since it didn’t help at all anyway) and they literally billed me yesterday so there’s no reason for them not to refund. But no they won’t budge on it and also the refund takes several days to process. I should see it by 10/10. Funny how they can take the money so quick, refuse to return it all and then take ages to do some pitiful partial refund. Avoid their service at all costs. It isn’t actually helpful at all, they just want your money.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

This company is a SCAM. This is the email I received from this company. "A Spokeo Single Search Report for "name" was purchased on your account for $1.95. This allows you to view the "name" profile page on the Spokeo website indefinitely for a one-time charge. You can log back in to your account at any time to check for updates to the "name" listing. A PDF purchase would send the desired information to the user's email, which can be accessed off of the Spokeo website. A PDF has not yet been purchased on your account."

So, basically after you research and find your name and purchase the initial part that profile page just gives you your name, phone number, and email address. For you to get more information like court records/public information you have to additionally pay more money. How much who knows? This reminds me of a movie where a guy goes in a bar, ask for information and gives the bartender $20.00 then keeps giving him $20.00 more until he finally gets his answer after like $300.00 bucks. Additionally, they had me as a female and not male. And when I spoke to an agent from the company they couldn't even answer my question. This gives you an idea where they're getting your information from, the garbage. Please think twice before using this site.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They are a scam. I paid for a reverse search on a phone number. When they finally showed me the results there was NO information on it. Nothing. They had no information at all. THEN they offered to sell me a pdf. I assumed it was a pdf featuring a blank page. They are crooks and have no information. Save your money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had very bad experience with this site last night. My girlfriend searched my name and Spokeo had me "married" to a lady I had never met nor had contact with. This situation has caused me much anguish and ridicule and was charged with being a Liar by my girlfriend. I called their "Customer Care" line this morning and voiced my concern this incorrect information had caused me and demanded a letter of explanation and also asked to have this lady's name removed from my profile. They said they would get back to me within 72 hours. This is the most embarrassing and humiliating experiences I have lived through. And, I did not cause it!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Phone numbers and info isn't up to date. Found info I was looking for on a free site. Had Spokeo subscription two days. Asked for refund. They would only refund 40 percent. COMPLETE RIP OFF. Save your money. Look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This company lures you into a .95 phone number lookup and disguises an ongoing $19.95 per month charge until you call them to cancel. So basically if you Google a phone number and want to know who it came from the Spokeo website pops up and offers to look up the number for $.95, once they have your credit card number they bill you in 8 days. Stay away from this obvious rip off!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS OUTFIT... Fraudulent operations. 1. The service is a joke - you get more from googling a person. 2. Provides no information - and then requests more payments and payment options for further report - you order that report - and they cannot even find family members or addresses which are reported in valid operations. 3. BeenVerified and USA people search provide 10 x the information at less cost. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. These people will steal your credit card number and there is no way to delete it in their own system. They will charge you - for services not provided and in advance for six months at a time. The owners are thieves. Anyone can make millions doing this.

Spokeo.com expert review by Ben Mannes

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Spokeo.com Company Information