toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The search site seems about average to any other. I renewed my membership and it still showed that I had not paid. Maybe being more attentive to customer details would resolve this issue. If I can't use the system till your bookkeeping error is resolved, how come my membership date did not forward to when I could use the site. A little nuance that irritates customers.

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel, they were helpful. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to look up someone's background.

I used Spokeo to locate an old college roommate who was supposed to meet me and others for a reunion. It was invaluable in getting us all together, but I only wanted a one time use. I was very happy to pay for one time fee, I was not very happy to receive a bill for a subscription which I then had to call and cancel.

Dear Russell,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: July 12, 2017

Overcharges for services not requested. We were charged $0.95 for a telephone number that did not work. Subsequential charges of $19.95, $9.95 and additional subscription charge of $19.95. Total ($29.85). The subscription cancellation did not work on their website. Finally, reached customer service by the number on our Visa statement and hopefully we will receive a refund of $19.85. This company is a ripoff and we are concerned they will continue to charge our account for no services.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did not find the person I was looking for, but all customer representatives I talked with were very courteous and helpful! Since my Spokeo check, I have found out, through other means, the person I was looking for is a catfish!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Dear Jessica,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: July 3, 2017

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SPOKEO. Like a few other reviews I signed up for the service back in April. We are adoption and I've moved so many times I can't recall all my address. Yes, they accurately provided the information I needed, but at too high a cost of annoyance. I did know that it was a recurring service but somehow I canceled one thing and not the other so got charged in May & June anyway. Called told them I wanted all services cancelled. Now I've been charged in July. I hate canceling my debit card but I'm thinking that might be the only way to get rid of these vultures. These sorts of services should be a one time charge not a recurring service. But maybe that is the only way they make their money is by STEALING $20 from people. Choose a different service for acquiring background info.

Dear Margaret,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 29, 2017

I saw the charge on my credit card and called to say I didn't want it. First, they NEVER answer their phone, always out to lunch or unavailable. I had to do all my communication over the computer. All I know is I have the service until December and it's totally not worth it. Terrible customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was getting rather vulgar texts from an unknown number. There were several numbers getting the same text. Before I deleted them, I was curious as to who was the sender so I used your service. (It was the adolescent daughter of a friend and I assume she didn't know I was on the list). Your service was perfect and economical. Thank you.

Dear Thomas,

Original review: June 22, 2017

I tried to get a phone number of a friend of mine. Paid 95 cents for the number which was fine. Next thing I know my VISA is charged $19.95 for subscription for further services. I did not authorize this service so I called them. They said they would cancel this service, but they refunded my account only $11.95. So now the phone number I obtained cost $8.95. I will need go to their web for any service again.

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. All I had was the owners name along with several relatives, and the state that the owner had relocated to. Although I tried a few other websites that offered this information, Spokeo was the only one that had the correct information. I was able to get a purchase agreement signed by owner and I'm now waiting for the title company to arrange for the closing. Very satisfied with the results by using Spokeo to help out.

Resolution In Progress

Any company that advertises "free" and this company's ad says (free reverse phone look-up) then charges you once you get to the site. Is not a company I want to do business with. If unscrupulous in ads then probably unscrupulous in business practice.

Dear RJ,

Original review: June 22, 2017

When I used your product I did receive the information I needed, but when I went to unsubscribe from your service the links didn't work and it was difficult to say the least. I thought I had done that. Then months later I discovered you had continued to hit my credit card with fees of ~$10 and $20 randomly for months... My bad. When I finally called, based on the number on my bank statement - NOT on your website, a fairly gracious CSR agreed to stop the account and offered to refund the last payment extracted. If anyone mentions SPOKEO to me I will be happy to tell them how aggressive and immoral you are. Business like yours should be illegal. Not because of the service you provide but by the vigorish you extract for so little.

Dear Karen,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 15, 2017

I cancelled my account, but I am still being billed. $19.95. I don't use the service any longer, and wish to discontinue. Please cancel now as the subscription goes on until October 2017 and I am now out of business and cannot use the service. Thank you for your help.

Dear Christopher,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 9, 2017

I wanted to look up information on a lost friend... and ended up with a one time charge which turned into a monthly subscription which I didn't want. I called and customer service told me they would credit my account. They didn't. Next month same charge. I called again, they had no record of my previous request for cancellation. I filed a complaint with Wells Fargo. BINGO. I got a complete refund. READ THE FINE PRINT. I didn't.

My 8 year old goddaughter was getting obscene phone calls. I changed my mind and took everything I had to the police. The young lady that spoke with me was so helpful and kind. She even told me it would be to go to the police since I had a tape and the phone number. Please thank her for me.

The person I spoke with was very helpful, polite and knowledgeable. They answered all my concerns and questions. Took care of my problem in a great manner. Thanking them very much for taking care of my concerns and problem that I had. They were very helpful.

Dear Evelyn,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 7, 2017

Unsubscribed on June 1st when free trial ended. And my debit card was charged. I had trouble getting information from services. Would not allow me to sign. So I am not satisfy with the service that was render. Please refund money.

Dear Karin,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 6, 2017

DON'T waste your money. This is a total ripoff. I ordered a one month trial which gets you NOTHING that you don't already see. For "additional information" you have to get premium. However, even that provides no detail and is simply a repetition of what is already available by simply searching Google results. I will never fall for this classic fraud again. Disputing on my charge card and my advice to anyone thinking about using them, don't waste your time or money!

Dear Debbie,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 3, 2017

I feel like this is intended for a business. I am a 65 year old retired grandmother with just a personal phone for my enjoyment. I used this only once for a short time. When I realized this was not what I thought it was, I canceled immediately. I am continuing to get correspondence. I have unsubscribe about 4 times. I'm assuming I might need help getting my name off the list. It has been somewhat frustrating. Thanks for your help.

Dear Frida,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 2, 2017

(After my ordeal with Spokeo.com I find that Spokeo.com was charged a fine by the FTC. So beware.) I originally started at this website to look for myself and what info what out there. I saw that they had 30 day free trial so I wanted to try. As soon as I finish entering my credit card info, I see on my account info that I will be charged 4.95 for a service that claimed to be free. But that was just the beginning, seeing that receipt should've alarmed me but instead I emailed them and I cancelled my "recurring" monthly charge.

I only received an email about my cancellation receipt. I have still not received ANY feedback and their supposedly 24/7 hotline always seems to be "busy" or have a "busy" tone. I had to check my bank account and it was overdrawn... Spokeo charged me 29.70 when they said it was FREE. I still have yet to get a response and every time I call I get hung up on after hearing the busy tone. Do NOT USE THIS SITE.

Checking unknown repeating out-of-state text unlegible as if I was listening in on private conversation. Texted back inquiry to no reply and received same text number sometime later. Probably nothing but an online text number search brought me to you. When I found out I had inadvertently signed on to be auto-billed monthly, I cancelled immediately. At that time I suggested your company also market to people like me. Offer the option to do a one-time transaction (what I thought I was doing). I must've missed that print.

Dear Brian,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 1, 2017

You should explain to the customer that when you sign up you are getting six months charged to your card all at once. On the site I did not see that explanation. This can cause some confusion when you see the charges on your acct.

Dear Dennis,

Original review: May 25, 2017

I previously subscribed to Spokeo.com. I had to cancel subscription due to unforeseen personal issues. I've recently renewed subscription but I am now very disappointed. While I was away for some 6 to 8 months the format has changed and it is now much more difficult to maneuver. To make matters worse information I've found on personal friends is not nearly as accurate as in the past. I'm not sure how much longer I'll remain a subscriber. Before the changes Spokeo.com in my opinion was outstanding.

Dear Eloise,

Original review: May 25, 2017

About 2-3 weeks ago, I talked to 2 rep, first lady didn't give good info. 2nd guy was OK but still did NOT make the "Free" trial $4.99 clear and ended up being charged for 6 months!!! I complained but Spokeo took off Visa Card... Your rep need clean and concise monthly fees esp on "free trial" offers! I was quite disappointed w/ customer service!

Very good people search!!! Ok prices (depending on the how much of people you are looking for) at least be able to search for who knows whom!!! I'm going to stay a long time in custom. I hope that the information or check "the sources" that when they are placed in Spokeo pages.

It was a big help in getting information that I wanted. It did not give a specific birth date. Just the month and year. It was good for the price I paid. I did find it useful. I can't remember if it gave current employment info.

This app was very easy to use and very helpful in locating the information needed. I would recommend its use to anyone trying to locate someone. I was able to locate the individual in a timely manner and able to get in contact with them as soon as possible.

Excellent response and solution. Put your query and SPOKEO will revert with a solution. Very informative site which help in getting desired information within no time. SPOKEO abides to its policies which are mentioned and they do not share your info with other sources.

Dear Danielle,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: May 10, 2017

3 months ago while applying for jobs my husband signed up for this service for what he thought was $2.95. We were billed another $16.95 and although he has a record, nothing showed up! Unhappy, hubby called and spoke to an agent about the $16.95 charge which they said they would refund and cancel the service. Not only did they not cancel the service, they continued charging us, for NOTHING, not 1 piece of info!

I called again and strangely enough they didn't have record of us calling the 1st time, nor the cancellation! So, over $60 in the hole and no information on his background check, which we know is not squeaky clean! Just waiting for the 10th of June to deal with this mess again. Do not use this company! My husband is calling again and again until we get a representative that will refund our money! Now we know better...

This site is comprehensive and informative. The ease of use interface is designed to assist the user with in depth inquiries. The information was complete and detailed. Will recommend this search site for anyone who is searching for information.

Spokeo.com Company Profile