Spokeo

Spokeo

3.1/5 (820 ratings)

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information

Cons

• Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Bottom Line

Spokeo is a paid people search engine that provides users with public information. Users can search names, phone numbers, emails and more to find information on a person. Spokeo compiles the public data into a profile.

Top Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Verified

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel,...

Verified

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. … Although I tried a few ot...

What is Spokeo?

Spokeo uses more than 12 billion records found in thousands of databases to aggregate information and create personal profiles. With a standard membership, users can search for people by name, phone number, email or address. With these searches, users can find information such as:

• Age
  • Relatives
  • Marital status
  • Addresses
  • Contact information
  • Education level
  • Public social media and dating site profiles
  • Public photos and videos
  • Blog entries

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the possible information users can find, but it shows the variety of available information. Users can find contact information for loved ones, information on scam callers or the identity of someone harassing them. However, some reviewers note the information Spokeo displays may be out-of-date or inaccurate, so it's important to check your findings.

Many people use Spokeo to find lost family members or identify people trying to scam or harass them. The site adheres to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and its terms of use state that the site is not to be used for employee or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purposes covered by the FCRA.

Spokeo price

A one-time name report (which includes address, email, phone number, location history, marital status and family) from Spokeo costs only 95 cents if you opt into a free seven-day trial membership. After the trial, it bills you at $24.95 per month if you don't cancel. Alternatively, you can make a one-time purchase without the trial for $1.95.

You can also choose to try the service for a month, but Spokeo offers better deals for longer membership subscriptions. If you click its sign up button, you’re shown two membership tiers:

• $19.95 per month for a three-month recurring membership
  • $24.95 per month for a one-month recurring membership

Spokeo states there may be additional fees for a full background check that includes court and historical records.

Spokeo FAQ

What can Spokeo tell you?
Spokeo shows you public data about the people you search for. This includes contact information, social media, court records and historical records.
How do I delete my Spokeo account?
Closing your account is a simple process. If you want it completely deleted, however, you must contact the Contact Care team.
How much does Spokeo cost?
Certain searches can be done on Spokeo for free. Access to more information costs between 95 cents to $24.95, depending on your membership commitment choice.
Is Spokeo safe?
Spokeo is committed to being a safe way to learn about the people around you. It keeps your personal data, payment details and account information secure.

Is Spokeo legit?

Spokeo is a legitimate information gathering service. The company takes the legwork out of finding public information by gathering it all into a neat profile. For those who use it, Spokeo is a safe and confidential way to find information. Whether you’re trying to reconnect with someone, check on someone you’re meeting for the first time or combat scammers, Spokeo can help.

Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Spokeo offered a .95 one time search, I paid with Paypal, but Spokeo made two unauthorized 24.95 charges to my credit card. I did not sign up for this or use their service after the original .95 cent search. I cancelled the automatic payments through Paypal and called Spokeo, but they would not refund the unauthorized charges.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2023

Spokeo reached out with an email letting me know they would refund the full three months of subscription costs. More importantly, they kept their word and did it! The CC card showed a credit in just a few days. I have to give them the kudos for good customer service/relations they deserve.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

I purchased a $.95 trial membership to check on a single phone number. Three months later I discovered I've been charged 3X at $24.95 each month for a subscription I did not sign up for. There was no confirmation email or notification that I had been charged each month. In looking back at the original email from them, I now see the auto-subscription notice on page 4! I have contacted them for a refund and IF they correct the billing, I'll be back to update this review. So far, my experience should be a warning to others to stay away.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

The service we used in November 2021 worked well; however, we were subscribed to their monthly subscription without permission and we did not notice until we had been charged well over $300. They immediately refunded $29 when we called them out, but only after they had charged us for 12 months of service we never used.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

A few months ago I wanted to know the address of someone and went to Spokeo; they look it up for free and are out front about your subscribing to a service and you can look up so many people and so on and that it will cost such and such and that you have to cancel your subscription if you do not want your credit card to be charged and they do not forget to charge it monthly if you do not cancel - whether you use it or not.

So the point is that if you don't use it you will be charged 25 dollars per month for the privilege of being able to if you want to. That is what I did for a few months. When I did finally get to a gal Spokeo today to cancel the subscription she was very nice about it and did it and sent a confirming email while I was on the line so it only cost me 75 dollars for that address and the privilege of looking for more if I had thought of it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

It puts people on here without their permission. I am a private person but to be put on a random website, that's too far. THEY PUT MY PRIVATE STUFF ON HERE, LIKE EMAIL AND FAMILY MEMBERS! That's not right to put people on here without being told they could do so.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Go Fornicate yourself Spokeo! I purchased a $.95 background check on an email, that literally turned up nothing and then was charged $24.95 for a subscription I did not sign up for. Not only that but I did not receive any kind of confirmation email or notification that I would be charged in advance of the $24.95. VERY DECEPTIVE AND SHADY. Will post on every review site possible that you people of disgusting thieves and swindlers.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Used their service to obtain information about one person on a one-time basis at $.95, but then they started a monthly membership at a cost of $24.95, charged to my credit card. When I called to protest this action, they would only offer a refund of less than $10. Don't use this company -- once they have your credit card information, they will apparently charge you however they want to and they are not friendly about adjusting the unwarranted charges.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I took advantage of their $0.95 trial offer to check a phone number that I was concerned was involved with Medicare fraud. Apparently hidden somewhere on one

of their web pages was a notification that I was also being signed up for a continuing subscription service. I didn't find this out until I got my credit card bill and was charged $24.95 instead of the expected $0.95 (this was for the original lookup plus the first month with 7 days "free"). Very deceptive and a completely useless service for anyone that needs to look up a single telephone number.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Spokeo like other reverse lookup companies, does what it says it does. Great. But how about the intentions of this company? Well I can promise you they aren't good. How do I know this? By using both spokeo and BeenVerified, I can share my experience to prove it. First, and most important, is how these companies look out for their consumers. Spokeo, has a trial, you get no email about the purchase, and no followup emails when charged full price. Beenverified, is the polar opposite.

The second you make a trial purchase, you are emailed, and told how to stop the trial from extending into the full service. This is good for 2 reasons. 1, a paper trail, 2, a second reminder to the customer "hey, did you miss that impossibly hard to see small print about us charging you a whole bunch if you forget to cancel? Well here is an email telling you again so you can't say we didn't properly warn you.". That's how beenverified goes about things. Professionally, with integrity. This is not how spokeo does business. You just get charged, and they are more than happy to keep milking you, as that's the reason this company was created. To use the trial model, but maliciously. Sue these people, someone. We need better verification from irresponsible companies like this.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Perhaps I should be reviewing ConsumerAffairs. Who pays their expenses. ANYWAY, try as I might, I couldn't find a one-time charge option for reverse number lookup, despite the statement by Consumer Affairs that a one-time lookup was available for $1.95. The last thing I need is another subscription for a service that I use less often than once a year. Thanks for nothing, Spokeo and Consumer Affairs.

Spokeo Company Information