Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars18%
  • 3 stars13%
  • 2 stars5%
  • 1 stars16%

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

I signed up for 1 use and was charge for the monthly fee. Called the office and it was quickly fixed in a fast and courteous manner.

Great customer service backup, plus 70% accurate updated info offerings. You GO Spokeo!!!

I felt like the receptionist was very professional and seemed to care about my situation. If I need your services again I will come back only because of the care I received on the phone call from your company representative.

I had been unhappy with Spokeo, not with the service but with a billing issue. It had been my intention to discontinue any future use of Spokeo, but Kelly's professionalism and understanding were much appreciated and she took steps to go above and beyond in ensuring that not only were my expectations met, but they were exceeded. I appreciate it very much and am now contemplating who to look up next!

My brother died suddenly while in Florida. I live in L A. I had to reach his ex wife and son, and I did not know her current last (remarried) name. I knew her maiden name and found her brother through Spokeo, and everything worked out. I used the $1, one month trial. This was all I needed, and cancellation of my subscription on spokeo online was easy. Thanks, spokeo.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Dear John,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Signed up for the one time use $0.95 search with the advertised 7-day free trial and 1-month court search which was very boldly and deliberately advertised as only $2.95 a month in good faith that these would be the actual prices. Both of these subscriptions have hidden fees as high as $20 each conveniently hidden away from the advertised price point. I cannot name one other online service that would hide away additional fees so deliberately. I'm disappointed to say the least. Buyer Beware.

Dear Lynn,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Didn't provide email address or divorce records, got more information from Google.

Resolution In Progress

I was hesitant to use Spokeo to begin with, but after having a lady give out my phone number for the past 4 months, I was desperate to contact her. I decided to pay the $0.95 for a phone record. As I was giving my information, an ad popped up for a membership. I declined it. Thinking that I had already declined a membership, I never have it a second thought. Now a week later, I've been charged an additional $19.95 for a membership. I emailed them, they won't refund it. On top of having to deal with this lady giving out my number, I am now out $20+. Highly frustrated. Thank you for making this nightmare worse. I don't recommend anyone using this service.

"Augustine" was very helpful in helping me navigate the website for information and answering all questions I had.

I am very impressed by Spokeo's customer service. Kim (customer service rep) listened to my concerns, and swiftly resolved my issue. She was friendly, professional and spoke perfect English. She also offered me free access to other services. I am extremely satisfied with Spokeo.

Very generous comp to offset earlier misunderstanding.

I was not satisfied with my results, however, Spokeo representative correct the problem and offer a customer service win for Spokeo. Excellent customer service.

Company was pleasant to deal with.

I was satisfied. I have no complaints.

I only wanted a one-time search and inadvertently signed up for a monthly service. I received very a professional, polite and satisfactory conclusion when I called to cancel. Thank you.

Customer service was fast and easy as 1-2-3! But then dislike the public information available out there for ANYONE to see! A lot of times the person is shown at an address where they never lived at, incorrect address. Why is that?

Hell yes. It help me catch my lady messing up very fast. She couldn't say nothing. I will tell everyone that having problem at home that you will give them the hook-up. Thank You very much. I'll went own with my life and she's catching hell again. Thank you all.

Dear Eugene,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

It has been almost 2 weeks since calling about this and still can't get access to what I purchased yet I can get what I didn't purchase.

I used your trial to find a person. However it did not find who I was looking for but I found that even if it didn't, it gave me a look into how I might be able to use it in the future. You have very caring personnel and I found that to be a BIG PLUS.

I found the site easy to use and it was accurate with names and addresses (although many addresses were listed for same time period). Not satisfied with phone #s or emails as almost everyone that I checked was many years old and no longer in service thus not allowing the reason for the search which was to get in contact with old friends. So it was ok but not worth the money as information is very old.

Dear Ya-Li,

Original review: July 29, 2016

After 20 minutes research, the resources are very limited and I didn't find any useful information I need. So I canceled the membership in half hour, but they still charged my $29. I doubt they are fraud company and tries to cheat people's money!

Dear Cory,

Original review: July 29, 2016

I thought I was only going to be paying $0.95 for a telephone search. Nowhere did it say I was subscribing for a monthly account. I was completely led to believe I was paying for a 1x charge of $0.95. Otherwise I would have never did this search. I feel that this company is very shady in their practices. No refund, I am upset. 1 search cost me over $27 Canadian!!! (I'm in the wrong business.) The CSR said it was a legitimate charge. I strongly disagree. I should get a full refund. At least they cancelled my account right away. I guess we'll see if I get charged again next month. I don't trust them. Thank you for the opportunity to express myself.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 29, 2016

I was given a refund, apparently for my first attempt at a search that never completed. I appreciate Spokeo's quick response in this matter.

Dear Nancy,

Original review: July 28, 2016

Twice I have paid for one-time usage, and both times were terrible. The first time (a few years ago), I submitted payment, but the final transaction to receive information I paid for never happened. I immediately sent an online message to Spokeo about this, but never heard a word back. Since it was a small fee at the time, I did not take any further action. Now a few years later, I tried again, this time paying $9.95 for a one-time use. So I did get a result, but I soon discovered that several things were incorrect, especially phone numbers. I sent a message to Spokeo, not asking for a refund, but stating that I will never use their service again. They responded by saying that they provide results with the most recent data that they have access to. What a waste of time and money for me. I do not recommend this service, as you are taking a big risk that you'll ever get the information you want.

Dear Fran,

Original review: July 28, 2016

Signed up for one time use at .95 cents and without my knowledge was charged $19.95 per month for 16 months. Talked with a very nice rep named Maria, who was able to refund 12 months worth of charges. While I am thankful to receive it, I believe that ALL of the monies they withdrew from my account should have been refunded. Please be aware if you sign up for the 95 cent special, you will need to physically put a stop to the account or they will continue to take monthly payments.

All of your customer agents are wonderful and very helpful! I would like to be able to research more than a first name and last name. For example, to research "Parkinson's Grants" etc. I noticed one thing. Some of the information is incorrect. Overall this is a very good site! In the future should I become a widow I certainly want to investigate persons who may be in my life. That also goes for other characters who want to scam me etc. Thank you!

I have never had such of outstanding Service as Spokeo Customer Service before! Highly recommended! Thanks.

I used this service and it provided, for the most part, information requested. I, unfortunately, must have clicked on the wrong button inadvertently and saw a charge for service I neither need nor wanted. This review is for their customer service which was excellent in taking care of the issue and reimbursing me without hassle. They were pleasant, helpful and efficient. Thank you!

I always find accurate information!

Fishy site. Charged for multiple services with no information available that isn't already free to the general public. Tricks you into purchasing more to see nothing on each search and has hidden imposed limits on all services offered. Service is a fraud.

Dear H Smith,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: July 16, 2016

Months and months of requests to remove my information from the internet!!! It's not even accurate and they took it down once and keep putting it back up WITHOUT my permission! Numerous complaints are being filed for violating my privacy!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Spokeo is a company that was founded in 2006. The brainchild of a group of graduates of Stanford, the company is now based in Old Town Pasadena.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.
  • Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.
  • Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.
  • All public data: Spokeo is dependable, ethical, and trustworthy, and it only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.
  • Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees - a strong indication of Spokeo's success.
  • Best for Those who want to check the background of someone in their life and those using online dating sites.

Spokeo.com Company Profile