3.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a background check company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

603 Spokeo.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

The information on this site is completely inaccurate. I have spoken to a guy named Joosh about the information they have and how it was obtained. Completely untrue. The information, addresses etc. were NEVER used by the people they had them attached to. Some they intermixed and had people faces attached to names that were NOT even them. This site is NOTHING more than a SCAM. Let's not even get into the charging. It say $1.00 then charge you $30.00. Someone needs to investigate and shut down this site. It's a SCAM!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I bought one lookup for around $1. Now they are charging me $25.99 every 6 months without my permission. I will need to contact my bank and I wrote Spokeo an email telling them to return the money. We will see???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Tested the site by looking up my husband, it gave me his correct name, age, former addresses, gave me a couple of emails, BUT TWO that I know for a fact is used by him quite often and has for years, never showed up. The most recent information was 2009??? And they say "full report," but you click on an email... And it's another "full report" for 9.99?? Come on. Very misleading. Biggest waste of 20 bucks. The information was sent to another email.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have written several times requesting that my mother be removed from Spokeo.com and provided a copy of her death certification, but now there is NO address that I can write and mail the death certificate to as well as trying to get my name removed again. If this continues Spokeo.com will hear from my lawyer. I never gave permission nor did my mother when she was living to have our names published. This is why I am getting mail in her name.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I searched for one person and I know all details about him - address, age, emails, telephone. Spokeo didn't even find his Facebook profile - and I know he has one. Because we are friends on Facebook. When I tried to immediately cancel the subscription I was charged for the full 6 months! They make it look like the fee is charged monthly, yet they take all 6 months at once. I don't want access for 6 months because they are useless - I want my money back!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My search was not satisfactory. I entered the information about the person I was searching for. I did not have the correct age. The person was located. I decided not to pursue the search. I called the toll free number. The representative assured me that no additional charged would be drafted from my credit card. He explained I would be charged the minimum fee.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Was very easy to use & find person's number for a job contact. Spokeo provided the correct information. Also if there is a question on your account you can call their contact number and talk to a real person to rectify the problem. Response is quick, painless and courteous.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

A friend wanted to get a hold of a friend from grade school. I used your product when it had an introductory offer of $ 1.00. Since you had so many phone number, I could to him. After calling several of the numbers, he did reach his friend and was very pleased.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I volunteer for my local Police Department because they are family due to them actually saving my life in 2016 I'm permanently damaged. I've never thought there was an Actual Site that does email or person research. I don't have my order number I don't know what I need with it. I'm not going to continue using this website, so please cancel my subscription please only because I found out my boyfriend who's an actual Cop wants to help me and needs my help he's got a Computer and he doesn't other everything on people search so please cancel my subscription Please.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Read the fine print carefully. You can pay for one search, but then you are automatically enrolled for a $20 per month subscription unless YOU cancel it. Buyer beware! Also, information is not always accurate. We were researching a phone number that is listed under our names. Any carrier listed did not own that account. Still do not know where that phone number came from, but we are pretty sure we are not paying for it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Not only did I not get up-to-date info but I paid for a 30 day service: $13.95. This is prominently listed in their offers. It is only at the end of their terms does it say this is a recurring charge. I trust this company as far as I can throw them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I used Spokeo once in 2013 and signed up for what I believed was a three month account at $14.95. It turns out that the billing structure is they bill you this amount every three months indefinitely. This company is absolutely vile and made no offer of restitution. Their business model is to rope consumers into these ongoing charges. The search information isn't even correct anyway.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I created a Spokeo account not knowing it would immediately charge my credit card. I cancelled my account immediately after I realized it couldn't provide the service I needed. I called to get a refund the same day and was told it is a prepaid service and I can't get a refund after I cancelled the same day. It's not worth the money and the site gives old info. I definitely would not recommend.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

When trying to locate a friend in hopes that we could re-unite my main problem is how old is the information. I still have not connected with my friend since I am not sure where to send the letter since she has different mailing address.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I was refunded money back on my account because I had not used the service the entire month. My credit card was charged and I thought I had previously discontinued the service. It was handled in a very professional way and charged back to my credit card. Thanks so much for not hassling.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

On the website it states 4.95 a month for 6 month trial but it doesn't tell you that they charge upfront for the 6 months. I couldn't search anything because the website kept taking me to the home screen and saying the site was unavailable. They debited my card 29.60 so I called ten mins later to inquire about and the guy was like, "We charge upfront but it says monthly cause that would be the monthly breakdown" so I told him to cancel the subscription and he did but he said they could only refund me 11.88. He had no answer for why he could only refund me 11.88 even though I told I wasn't even able to use the site and the site didn't state upfront charge for the 6 month membership. I definitely wish I had searched this company before trying to use it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Thanks to the tools provided to research unknown phone numbers on my child's cell phone. I was able to intercept a bad situation when I could not locate my child. He ended up 30 miles away waiting to meet with a 46 year old stranger. You're the best.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

When I first searched for a person's name, I had made a serious double typo resulting in a name, which could not possibly exist, yet Spokeo came up with a positive search result and immediately asked for money to view it despite advertising the service as being "free". Needless to say I did not accept this obviously dishonest offer. At a later date I searched for an email address, and another typo had sneaked in, where the email domain name was misspelled. Again, the result was positive. This aroused my suspicion, so I did searches for email addresses made up from entirely random characters and numbers, and, you guessed it, in every single case there was a positive search result asking me to sign up for a "trial" by entering my credit card details. As I knew, that the search results were clearly incorrect, I also felt, that the site could not be trusted, so I did not subscribe.

After waiting for several months I repeated the random character search with identical false results. If something looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, it surely is a duck! Spokeo.com surely uses false advertising, fake positive search results and animated but not real time search progress indicators on the web page to sucker unsuspecting people into signing up for a service designed to help itself to the subscriber's money, even if there was no real search result.

In my eyes this is clearly fraudulent behavior resulting in huge numbers of useless subscriptions, which only can be cancelled after actively complaining and publicising the problems (Refer to the numerous complaints on your own pages from people being automatically enrolled in monthly subscriptions, even if the service was cancelled in time. Also note the machine-personalized scripted form letters in response to every single complaint to Spokeo.com - this looks like just paying lip service and hoping, the problem would go away by itself).

Although probably there are many real search results, the potentially high number of intentionally fake results speaks for itself. Most phishing sites work this way, and it is highly unlikely for the unethical behavior of this site to be caused by a one-off software bug, because not only is it going on for a long time, but any system administrator worth his or her salt should have spotted this "defect" a long time ago. Maybe it is time for a class action lawsuit. I attached one screenshot of one of my "random character" searches as a proof of the problem. I also encourage other users to perform similar tests, take screenshots and compile a dossier this way to force Spokeo.com to either clean up their act or face the consequences. Spokeo acts almost like a scam and phishing site with thin legalistic excuses.

Original review: July 25, 2017

How I wish I'd read through the reviews here before I chose to use the allegedly, specially-priced, .95 for seven days, scam-service, Spokeo, online. Next thing I knew, my debit card was charged $19.95 for another month's service! I hadn't authorized this nor ordered a monthly service. Long story shortened--had to cancel my card, still waiting for my new card. Spokeo refused to reimburse me stating that it was mentioned in the ad that it would continue with a 19.95 debit EVERY month. Funny. I never saw that at all. People, read about these so-called 'helpful' services before you do like I did, & have to get a new number with all the other hassles involved & losing $19.95 per month.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Last search for individual brought up dead person. File was useless. Would be better value if there was a intercept to ask if that was what was willing to pay for, before having charge put through, giving report. Less disappointment. Why pay when you don't know if wrong person or not?

Original review: July 25, 2017

Much of the information in my search is old, people have died or moved or changed phone numbers, yet You info shows them living. Also I did not like the fact that you show a $4.95 special, and don't explain. It is for 6 months = $29.70. Some info helped but I have found better search engines.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The search site seems about average to any other. I renewed my membership and it still showed that I had not paid. Maybe being more attentive to customer details would resolve this issue. If I can't use the system till your bookkeeping error is resolved, how come my membership date did not forward to when I could use the site. A little nuance that irritates customers.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel, they were helpful. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to look up someone's background.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I used Spokeo to locate an old college roommate who was supposed to meet me and others for a reunion. It was invaluable in getting us all together, but I only wanted a one time use. I was very happy to pay for one time fee, I was not very happy to receive a bill for a subscription which I then had to call and cancel.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Overcharges for services not requested. We were charged $0.95 for a telephone number that did not work. Subsequential charges of $19.95, $9.95 and additional subscription charge of $19.95. Total ($29.85). The subscription cancellation did not work on their website. Finally, reached customer service by the number on our Visa statement and hopefully we will receive a refund of $19.85. This company is a ripoff and we are concerned they will continue to charge our account for no services.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I did not find the person I was looking for, but all customer representatives I talked with were very courteous and helpful! Since my Spokeo check, I have found out, through other means, the person I was looking for is a catfish!

Original review: July 3, 2017

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SPOKEO. Like a few other reviews I signed up for the service back in April. We are adoption and I've moved so many times I can't recall all my address. Yes, they accurately provided the information I needed, but at too high a cost of annoyance. I did know that it was a recurring service but somehow I canceled one thing and not the other so got charged in May & June anyway. Called told them I wanted all services cancelled. Now I've been charged in July. I hate canceling my debit card but I'm thinking that might be the only way to get rid of these vultures. These sorts of services should be a one time charge not a recurring service. But maybe that is the only way they make their money is by STEALING $20 from people. Choose a different service for acquiring background info.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I saw the charge on my credit card and called to say I didn't want it. First, they NEVER answer their phone, always out to lunch or unavailable. I had to do all my communication over the computer. All I know is I have the service until December and it's totally not worth it. Terrible customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I was getting rather vulgar texts from an unknown number. There were several numbers getting the same text. Before I deleted them, I was curious as to who was the sender so I used your service. (It was the adolescent daughter of a friend and I assume she didn't know I was on the list). Your service was perfect and economical. Thank you.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I tried to get a phone number of a friend of mine. Paid 95 cents for the number which was fine. Next thing I know my VISA is charged $19.95 for subscription for further services. I did not authorize this service so I called them. They said they would cancel this service, but they refunded my account only $11.95. So now the phone number I obtained cost $8.95. I will need go to their web for any service again.

Spokeo.com Company Information