toll free

Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Consumer Increased Rating!

Dear Kristy,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

Signed up for the 7 day trial period. It's limited so I ran out of searches quickly. I searched three cell numbers and each one shows the same location... why? Makes no sense, and there's no names listed on all three cell numbers. Two of these are personal numbers so I KNOW THAT THE INFO IS WRONG. What's the point if it's not accurate? Thought that was the reason for using this website. Just really disappointed that I didn't find what I was looking for since the number was listed within their website.

Dear Morgan,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

I had a few serious concerns. I was billed $19.95 for a service I did not order. I called their line and initially the nice lady was able to tell me she refunded my money. But that was not my only issue - because of this unwanted charge, it overdrew my bills account. And my bank then of course charged a severe overdraft fee. I then called the same number back. This is at about 6pm eastern time. Surprisingly again and again I got their voicemail saying to call during business hours, and then immediately after saying business hours are they are open 24hrs mon-fri. This is a Wednesday mind you.

This is what led to me using their internet "chat." I used it once yesterday and after some finagling and having to speak to supervisor, I was able to talk to the supervisor Brady whom did help answer a few questions. We left off with me needing to get back in contact with them the next day. Here is where it really went wrong. I do remember talking to first an Xavier, who did help at first but when I came back with a different question a little while later. He jumped on the chat for a minute but then abruptly stopped chatting with me and this random lady got on the chat.

She was so unbelievably rude I don't understand how she could be employed in customer care. She immediately jumped on in the middle of a conversation and before I even was able to ask my question. She started very rudely and without warning, spewed anger towards me telling me the same thing again I had already figured out. She first said, without introducing herself at all that she was "aware" of my issue and without being asked and thinking she knew somehow my question repeated earlier things I already had answered. She was not a manager. Who in the world was she? She never once let me ask the actual question I came back for. She "assumed" she knew my question and was wrong - but just very rude on top of that.

Next I told her to let me speak with her manager, and Rachel came on and did the exact same thing. Did not even ask my question. I was just really taken aback by this coming from CS myself. Finally for some reason she again transferred me but without my asking - and I was back talking to the first supervisor who thankfully allowed me to speak and answered my question. I will tell everybody I know never, ever to use them or at least be cautious, and to beware about those charges. I'm so over this. They said they "processed" my refund and I still don't have it back.

Benjamin was very professional and also very kind which is very rare. I will use the service again since he made it right... Was very aggravated at being charged for something that didn't work the first time. Thank you for caring.

I didn't realize that I had signed up for anything other than a one-time check. Benjamin was thorough in explaining everything to me. He quickly said I would get the refund I wanted and even asked if there was anything else he could do to right my situation. In the end, I am happy to recommend this company to other consumers.

Dear Randall,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Tried to open an account, entered my credit card and other info but it just kept processing. Called the toll free number to be disconnected multiple times. Once I actually got to speak with a live person and when I mentioned I tried to set up an account, was disconnected. If it's this much trouble to call them and being hung up on, I don't want the service. I will be calling the credit card company to see if they charged my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Spokeo performed as stated and expected. Our company was tracking an offensive email that was sent by a third party. The source of the email was clearly and quickly identified by Spokeo, and in sufficient detail for our satisfaction. Thank you.

Dear Ruth,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

This is a total rip off. Do not buy!! The entire time it was running the phone number for a reverse search. It said it found the contract info, such name, address, etc. Once I paid the fee the results then changed and said NO RESULTS FOUND. RIP OFF. Not only did I get ripped off by the guy whose number I was researching but by this company as well! Beware... Total waste of money.

Purchased Spokeo and was not able to get the information. I cancelled Spokeo and cancelled my order. Spokeo contacted me and agreed that they could not provide me with the information as it was not available. They agree to refund me my money and provide me with one month service for free.

I received a call from a recent inquiry in regards to my service and they handled it with wonderful results. Very pleased with the outcome and customer service is restored in my books. Thank you for the call and for my full refund and continued service with this company.

Dear Mike,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

On 11/8, a Customer Satisfaction Specialist name Javier called and inquired to feedback regarding prior service that was cancelled. I was then offered a free 30 day subscription to full service look up and would be cancelled automatically - no need to call back. Today I entered a search and was charged a fee. I called your hotline and explain what happen. I was told I was charge $15.00 for a 90 days. I cancelled your service and required that any charges be refunded. This what not what was offered by your rep Javier.

There was a miscommunication between myself and this company. They did not blame me even though it looked like it may have been my fault. They resolved the issue quickly and were very understanding. Additionally, the service provided by Spokeo was outstanding. I would recommend this company.

Your services are very reliable as it provided very accurate information. They are also very prompt. I was able to look up anyone I want and obtain the information I wanted. I would recommend this website to my family and friends. Thank you very much for your website.

Dear Peter,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

After erroneously "default/auto-subscribing" to a monthly plan, I requested a refund of payment for the upcoming month's use. I was given such expeditiously, following Spokeo suggestion that I might nevertheless want to keep the prospective month paid for. I declined and that was that.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Oct. 26, 2016

Well, I must say that I am truly pleased with the after service and how the issue was rectified. All the representatives were very professional and I really appreciated the prompt responses. The amount paid was refunded and I was offered additional information at no cost. I've been taught over the years that customer service is extremely important to any growing business, Spokeo I must say you have an EXCELLENT after service. Thanks again to all who helped.

Dear Patricia,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I've been searching for a friend that has migrated due to work purposes. The website gave details on the information that will be provided including name, address, phone number etc and prompt for payment before disclosing the information. Yet after the payment, only the name field wasn't empty. It's very misleading and for those who aren't tech savvy and hate to read, will get sidetracked into subscriptions. BE CAREFUL.

Dear Anita,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I've used Spokeo occasionally over the past few years. More recently I discovered my husband was unfaithful and using dating websites. I found this out on our own home PC. I conducted a search on Spokeo by entering my partner's email and selected the "cheating partner" reason for using service. Now, he's getting emails from Spokeo marketing their services and using 'Do you have a cheating partner?' in the subject line. I emailed them asking if they've used the details I've entered to keep for marketing services or is it a just a strange coincidence? To date I have not had a response. He has admitted all and we are working on our marriage. If he was to use the service, he wouldn't find anything new on me. But, he stands a chance in regaining my trust. I'm not sure I can trust Spokeo to be as confidential as it claims. Until I get a actual response from them, I'm inclined to believe otherwise. Have any other reviewers had this experience?

I like and enjoy the service, but I cannot afford to use the service as I use it too little to make it worth what I would have to pay. If you had a smaller package that allowed a smaller number of lookups that would work for me. In the meantime, thank you for the service that I did enjoy.

I am almost finished with finding phone numbers and email address for the members of the American Legion Post 12 in Tyler Texas. Thank you sooo much for the additional searches that you allowed me to finish finding all of the members in our post 12 American Legion. I will discontinue the services as soon as I finish the project. In turn when we need additional information that you supply we will for sure call you and ask for your services.

I wanted to find out if a person had a criminal past, so I paid but I did not get what I was looking for. For that you wanted more money. It is a little misleading because I think I was getting all the information and I only get partial information. I have to say though, your customer service was great! I received a call from Benjamin, and he couldn't have been nicer! Today customer service is not very good, but you all did a great job.

Dear Renyi,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

On Apr 5th I was trying to search a scam seller who took my money but never shipped the product. So I used Spokeo's $0.95 7-day free trial. Too upset about the scam, I didn't read the long I understand..." and just checked the box to continue. Guess what? 6 months later when I finally check my credit card statement thoroughly, I see the recurring fee of $19.95 for six months. On top of that, there is also a recurring $9.85 fee which is their social media aggravate fee. Apparently they offered a 30-day free trial of that service and I selected it as well.

Well my experience just proved that nothing comes free. When everything adds up to $179.75, only the initial $0.95 I was aware of. No email receipts or subscription renewal confirmation or anything whatsoever, the only email I ever received from Spokeo was for the $0.95 trial. So I emailed the customer service first, asking for the refund, I was refunded only $9.85 for the LAST month. RIDICULOUS! So I had to call in for more. The rep refunded me all the $9.85 payments which adds up to about $50. And after supervisor's review, I was able to get full refund for 3 months, as she claimed that the system can only date back 90 days. So in total I'm getting $118 out of the $178.80 I was unaware of.

While I am happy about getting more than half of the money back, I still don't think I should pay $60 for something I never used. The rep may be right when she repeatedly emphasizes that the website warned me, and I was responsible to opt out the free trial if I don't want to pay for the subscription fee. But I think it is also the website's responsibility to send out confirmation or receipt for subscriptions, unless that's what they intend to, so people will be paying for something they are completely unaware of.

Dear Lynn,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I signed up for the 7 day free trial. I called in to cancel a few days later. I was told that they couldn't see that I ever signed up so I forgot about it. The following month I get charged for $9.85 and $19.95??? Even if I had signed up it was supposed to be $9.85 and not $19.95. They would only refund me a partial payment.

Greatly helped me in a criminal case with a conviction upheld on appeal. As the victim, I brought to the prosecutors all of the numerous phone numbers of the perpetrator and his family members which the perpetrator had used to harass me.

Dear Steven,

My name is Blake Howard, I work in the office of the Vice President of Spokeo Customer Care. We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. I personally would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and am happy to assist in resolving this issue.
Please allow me to explain regarding Spokeo. The website is designed to keep Spokeo memberships at the lowest possible price, we enable users to purchase only the products they need. When you need additional product(s), they will be available as Product Add-ons to enable more advanced search features only when you need them.​ This way, users can customize their subscriptions in any way they see fit, whereas in the past, if someone wanted to upgrade you had to purchase the whole thing. I apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this issue has caused. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any future questions or concerns regarding this matter. I can be reached directly at 626-817-7890, or via email at bhoward@spokeo.com and am available Monday-Friday 9:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. PST.

All the best,

Blake Howard

Analyst, Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

11 months ago, I wanted to do one Spokeo search, so I chose the "Casual Users 1 month Membership" for $13.95. At the bottom of the billing info form there's a checkbox with a long paragraph of legalese -- image posted herewith -- beginning with "I agree" to the terms of use, etc., etc., with this about 60% of the way through: "I understand that I will be billed $13.95 today and every month thereafter until this subscription is cancelled." I didn't notice that. "11 months" you say?

Yes, you're right -- I did overlook the monthly charges on my credit card statement for a long time. I use only one card primarily, and I use it for just about all my expenses online and off, so I have a long statement. Yes, I should be more vigilant. But on the other hand, what a sneaky way to fool people into signing up for an automatic monthly credit card charge! Notice how the big print says "1 month membership" rather than "Monthly membership". How does this speak to their integrity? Does it make Spokeo seem like a business you want to transact with?

Dear Spokeo Customer,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

They canceled my old unlimited search premium membership without asking and put me in a program has 20 only name searches per month. Or you have to pay $40.00 to get 200 searches per month. I am extremely dissatisfied.

Dear Konstantinos,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I got charged 9.95 for no information. They will not refund even when they have no information. Do no use them.

Dear Erin,

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I find I often can't get the name I am writing. You sometimes merge name & city, I have to start again. This actually takes from my names I have access to monthly. More accurate info would be nice. But generally you are quite helpful.

I like the comprehensiveness of the search engine. I would like most greatly to have been able to purchase the 6 month membership for $4.95 per month. Thanks for great customer service, too.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Dear Sara,

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I try to look up a phone number and when I enter the information your system ask me for payment saying the information was found. When I didn't get I call customer service and she was rude and at the end when I ask for a refund, she hang up on me. I was force to call my credit card and dispute the payment.

FYI it's not the $1.95 charge that bother me as much as her response and rudeness, and the fact that I was ask to pay for nothing. If the information is not available the system should not ask customer to pay first.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Dear R H,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I signed up for the free trial and after searching the names I wanted I realized that I found more in my own searches. But what was really annoying was that they make it sound like you get everything with the free trial - you don't!! You have to pay for even reverse email searches. What a waste of money, not a lot of money but still! Highly disappointed.

Excellent. Very helpful.

Dear Carol,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I paid $1.95 for a ONE-TIME search and got tricked into signing up for a monthly service at $19.95. I'm not as diligent as I should be at checking my credit card statements, and have over $100 worth of monthly charges for a service I didn't intentionally sign up for and NEVER USED. Called customer service and was able to cancel, but wouldn't refund any of the monthly service fees even though they could SEE I didn't use it. Very shady, in my opinion.

Spokeo.com Company Profile