toll free

Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My search was not satisfactory. I entered the information about the person I was searching for. I did not have the correct age. The person was located. I decided not to pursue the search. I called the toll free number. The representative assured me that no additional charged would be drafted from my credit card. He explained I would be charged the minimum fee.

Was very easy to use & find person's number for a job contact. Spokeo provided the correct information. Also if there is a question on your account you can call their contact number and talk to a real person to rectify the problem. Response is quick, painless and courteous.

A friend wanted to get a hold of a friend from grade school. I used your product when it had an introductory offer of $ 1.00. Since you had so many phone number, I could to him. After calling several of the numbers, he did reach his friend and was very pleased.

I volunteer for my local Police Department because they are family due to them actually saving my life in 2016 I'm permanently damaged. I've never thought there was an Actual Site that does email or person research. I don't have my order number I don't know what I need with it. I'm not going to continue using this website, so please cancel my subscription please only because I found out my boyfriend who's an actual Cop wants to help me and needs my help he's got a Computer and he doesn't other everything on people search so please cancel my subscription Please.

Dear Susan,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Read the fine print carefully. You can pay for one search, but then you are automatically enrolled for a $20 per month subscription unless YOU cancel it. Buyer beware! Also, information is not always accurate. We were researching a phone number that is listed under our names. Any carrier listed did not own that account. Still do not know where that phone number came from, but we are pretty sure we are not paying for it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Dear Paul,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Not only did I not get up-to-date info but I paid for a 30 day service: $13.95. This is prominently listed in their offers. It is only at the end of their terms does it say this is a recurring charge. I trust this company as far as I can throw them.

Resolution In Progress

Dear Jessica,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I used Spokeo once in 2013 and signed up for what I believed was a three month account at $14.95. It turns out that the billing structure is they bill you this amount every three months indefinitely. This company is absolutely vile and made no offer of restitution. Their business model is to rope consumers into these ongoing charges. The search information isn't even correct anyway.

Dear Theresa,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I created a Spokeo account not knowing it would immediately charge my credit card. I cancelled my account immediately after I realized it couldn't provide the service I needed. I called to get a refund the same day and was told it is a prepaid service and I can't get a refund after I cancelled the same day. It's not worth the money and the site gives old info. I definitely would not recommend.

Dear Marie,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

When trying to locate a friend in hopes that we could re-unite my main problem is how old is the information. I still have not connected with my friend since I am not sure where to send the letter since she has different mailing address.

I was refunded money back on my account because I had not used the service the entire month. My credit card was charged and I thought I had previously discontinued the service. It was handled in a very professional way and charged back to my credit card. Thanks so much for not hassling.

Dear Liza,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

On the website it states 4.95 a month for 6 month trial but it doesn't tell you that they charge upfront for the 6 months. I couldn't search anything because the website kept taking me to the home screen and saying the site was unavailable. They debited my card 29.60 so I called ten mins later to inquire about and the guy was like, "We charge upfront but it says monthly cause that would be the monthly breakdown" so I told him to cancel the subscription and he did but he said they could only refund me 11.88. He had no answer for why he could only refund me 11.88 even though I told I wasn't even able to use the site and the site didn't state upfront charge for the 6 month membership. I definitely wish I had searched this company before trying to use it.

Thanks to the tools provided to research unknown phone numbers on my child's cell phone. I was able to intercept a bad situation when I could not locate my child. He ended up 30 miles away waiting to meet with a 46 year old stranger. You're the best.

Dear Joe,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

When I first searched for a person's name, I had made a serious double typo resulting in a name, which could not possibly exist, yet Spokeo came up with a positive search result and immediately asked for money to view it despite advertising the service as being "free". Needless to say I did not accept this obviously dishonest offer. At a later date I searched for an email address, and another typo had sneaked in, where the email domain name was misspelled. Again, the result was positive. This aroused my suspicion, so I did searches for email addresses made up from entirely random characters and numbers, and, you guessed it, in every single case there was a positive search result asking me to sign up for a "trial" by entering my credit card details. As I knew, that the search results were clearly incorrect, I also felt, that the site could not be trusted, so I did not subscribe.

After waiting for several months I repeated the random character search with identical false results. If something looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, it surely is a duck! Spokeo.com surely uses false advertising, fake positive search results and animated but not real time search progress indicators on the web page to sucker unsuspecting people into signing up for a service designed to help itself to the subscriber's money, even if there was no real search result.

In my eyes this is clearly fraudulent behavior resulting in huge numbers of useless subscriptions, which only can be cancelled after actively complaining and publicising the problems (Refer to the numerous complaints on your own pages from people being automatically enrolled in monthly subscriptions, even if the service was cancelled in time. Also note the machine-personalized scripted form letters in response to every single complaint to Spokeo.com - this looks like just paying lip service and hoping, the problem would go away by itself).

Although probably there are many real search results, the potentially high number of intentionally fake results speaks for itself. Most phishing sites work this way, and it is highly unlikely for the unethical behavior of this site to be caused by a one-off software bug, because not only is it going on for a long time, but any system administrator worth his or her salt should have spotted this "defect" a long time ago. Maybe it is time for a class action lawsuit. I attached one screenshot of one of my "random character" searches as a proof of the problem. I also encourage other users to perform similar tests, take screenshots and compile a dossier this way to force Spokeo.com to either clean up their act or face the consequences. Spokeo acts almost like a scam and phishing site with thin legalistic excuses.

Dear Michele,

Original review: July 25, 2017

How I wish I'd read through the reviews here before I chose to use the allegedly, specially-priced, .95 for seven days, scam-service, Spokeo, online. Next thing I knew, my debit card was charged $19.95 for another month's service! I hadn't authorized this nor ordered a monthly service. Long story shortened--had to cancel my card, still waiting for my new card. Spokeo refused to reimburse me stating that it was mentioned in the ad that it would continue with a 19.95 debit EVERY month. Funny. I never saw that at all. People, read about these so-called 'helpful' services before you do like I did, & have to get a new number with all the other hassles involved & losing $19.95 per month.

Dear Linda,

Original review: July 25, 2017

Last search for individual brought up dead person. File was useless. Would be better value if there was a intercept to ask if that was what was willing to pay for, before having charge put through, giving report. Less disappointment. Why pay when you don't know if wrong person or not?

Dear Thomas,

Original review: July 25, 2017

Much of the information in my search is old, people have died or moved or changed phone numbers, yet You info shows them living. Also I did not like the fact that you show a $4.95 special, and don't explain. It is for 6 months = $29.70. Some info helped but I have found better search engines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The search site seems about average to any other. I renewed my membership and it still showed that I had not paid. Maybe being more attentive to customer details would resolve this issue. If I can't use the system till your bookkeeping error is resolved, how come my membership date did not forward to when I could use the site. A little nuance that irritates customers.

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel, they were helpful. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to look up someone's background.

I used Spokeo to locate an old college roommate who was supposed to meet me and others for a reunion. It was invaluable in getting us all together, but I only wanted a one time use. I was very happy to pay for one time fee, I was not very happy to receive a bill for a subscription which I then had to call and cancel.

Dear Russell,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: July 12, 2017

Overcharges for services not requested. We were charged $0.95 for a telephone number that did not work. Subsequential charges of $19.95, $9.95 and additional subscription charge of $19.95. Total ($29.85). The subscription cancellation did not work on their website. Finally, reached customer service by the number on our Visa statement and hopefully we will receive a refund of $19.85. This company is a ripoff and we are concerned they will continue to charge our account for no services.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did not find the person I was looking for, but all customer representatives I talked with were very courteous and helpful! Since my Spokeo check, I have found out, through other means, the person I was looking for is a catfish!

Dear Jessica,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: July 3, 2017

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SPOKEO. Like a few other reviews I signed up for the service back in April. We are adoption and I've moved so many times I can't recall all my address. Yes, they accurately provided the information I needed, but at too high a cost of annoyance. I did know that it was a recurring service but somehow I canceled one thing and not the other so got charged in May & June anyway. Called told them I wanted all services cancelled. Now I've been charged in July. I hate canceling my debit card but I'm thinking that might be the only way to get rid of these vultures. These sorts of services should be a one time charge not a recurring service. But maybe that is the only way they make their money is by STEALING $20 from people. Choose a different service for acquiring background info.

Dear Margaret,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 29, 2017

I saw the charge on my credit card and called to say I didn't want it. First, they NEVER answer their phone, always out to lunch or unavailable. I had to do all my communication over the computer. All I know is I have the service until December and it's totally not worth it. Terrible customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was getting rather vulgar texts from an unknown number. There were several numbers getting the same text. Before I deleted them, I was curious as to who was the sender so I used your service. (It was the adolescent daughter of a friend and I assume she didn't know I was on the list). Your service was perfect and economical. Thank you.

Dear Thomas,

Original review: June 22, 2017

I tried to get a phone number of a friend of mine. Paid 95 cents for the number which was fine. Next thing I know my VISA is charged $19.95 for subscription for further services. I did not authorize this service so I called them. They said they would cancel this service, but they refunded my account only $11.95. So now the phone number I obtained cost $8.95. I will need go to their web for any service again.

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. All I had was the owners name along with several relatives, and the state that the owner had relocated to. Although I tried a few other websites that offered this information, Spokeo was the only one that had the correct information. I was able to get a purchase agreement signed by owner and I'm now waiting for the title company to arrange for the closing. Very satisfied with the results by using Spokeo to help out.

Any company that advertises "free" and this company's ad says (free reverse phone look-up) then charges you once you get to the site. Is not a company I want to do business with. If unscrupulous in ads then probably unscrupulous in business practice.

Dear RJ,

Original review: June 22, 2017

When I used your product I did receive the information I needed, but when I went to unsubscribe from your service the links didn't work and it was difficult to say the least. I thought I had done that. Then months later I discovered you had continued to hit my credit card with fees of ~$10 and $20 randomly for months... My bad. When I finally called, based on the number on my bank statement - NOT on your website, a fairly gracious CSR agreed to stop the account and offered to refund the last payment extracted. If anyone mentions SPOKEO to me I will be happy to tell them how aggressive and immoral you are. Business like yours should be illegal. Not because of the service you provide but by the vigorish you extract for so little.

Dear Karen,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 15, 2017

I cancelled my account, but I am still being billed. $19.95. I don't use the service any longer, and wish to discontinue. Please cancel now as the subscription goes on until October 2017 and I am now out of business and cannot use the service. Thank you for your help.

Dear Christopher,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 9, 2017

I wanted to look up information on a lost friend... and ended up with a one time charge which turned into a monthly subscription which I didn't want. I called and customer service told me they would credit my account. They didn't. Next month same charge. I called again, they had no record of my previous request for cancellation. I filed a complaint with Wells Fargo. BINGO. I got a complete refund. READ THE FINE PRINT. I didn't.

Spokeo.com Company Profile