2. Background Check Companies

Spokeo

Spokeo
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.01/5

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

BOTTOM LINE

Spokeo is a paid people search engine that provides users with public information. Users can search names, phone numbers, emails and more to find information on a person. Spokeo compiles the public data into a profile.

PROS

• Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information

CONS

• Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Top Spokeo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel, they were helpful. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to look up someone's background.

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. … Although I tried a few other websites that offered this information, Spokeo was the only one that had the correct information.

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Spokeo?

Spokeo uses more than 12 billion records found in thousands of databases to aggregate information and create personal profiles. With a standard membership, users can search for people by name, phone number, email or address. With these searches, users can find information such as:

• Age
    • Relatives
    • Marital status
    • Addresses
    • Contact information
    • Education level
    • Public social media and dating site profiles
    • Public photos and videos
    • Blog entries

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the possible information users can find, but it shows the variety of available information. Users can find contact information for loved ones, information on scam callers or the identity of someone harassing them. However, some reviewers note the information Spokeo displays may be out-of-date or inaccurate, so it's important to check your findings.

Many people use Spokeo to find lost family members or identify people trying to scam or harass them. The site adheres to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and its terms of use state that the site is not to be used for employee or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purposes covered by the FCRA.

Spokeo price

A one-time name report (which includes address, email, phone number, location history, marital status and family) from Spokeo costs only 95 cents if you opt into a free seven-day trial membership. After the trial, it bills you at $24.95 per month if you don't cancel. Alternatively, you can make a one-time purchase without the trial for $1.95.

You can also choose to try the service for a month, but Spokeo offers better deals for longer membership subscriptions. If you click its sign up button, you’re shown two membership tiers:

• $19.95 per month for a three-month recurring membership
    • $24.95 per month for a one-month recurring membership

Spokeo states there may be additional fees for a full background check that includes court and historical records.

Spokeo FAQ

What can Spokeo tell you?
    Spokeo shows you public data about the people you search for. This includes contact information, social media, court records and historical records.
    How do I delete my Spokeo account?
    Closing your account is a simple process. If you want it completely deleted, however, you must contact the Contact Care team.
    How much does Spokeo cost?
    Certain searches can be done on Spokeo for free. Access to more information costs between 95 cents to $24.95, depending on your membership commitment choice.
    Is Spokeo safe?
    Spokeo is committed to being a safe way to learn about the people around you. It keeps your personal data, payment details and account information secure.

Is Spokeo legit?

Spokeo is a legitimate information gathering service. The company takes the legwork out of finding public information by gathering it all into a neat profile. For those who use it, Spokeo is a safe and confidential way to find information. Whether you’re trying to reconnect with someone, check on someone you’re meeting for the first time or combat scammers, Spokeo can help.

Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I rather liked this site. Most of the information I needed was available. Occasionally the information was incorrect or I could not find the person / business I was looking for. But, hey, who is perfect. I would like to see a pricing schedule for getting reports by the report of a set of reports. This would make this even more useful. I only need to search this type of information occasionally. So having to pay a monthly fee is not reasonable for me. Other than that this is a useful site and fairly easy to navigate. I'd use it again.

Original review: July 8, 2020

During two recent with customer service, I was greatly help. Too complicated to explain: which speaks, in and of itself, to the terrific skills of the customer service staff to be able to resolve my issues. Thanks, again. I'm not providing any more information; since I don't have the time.---jc**

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: June 30, 2020

I appreciate this company working with me to provide an experience above my expectations for a dispute clarification that I felt needed to be resolved. They went well above and beyond my expectations to treat me more than fair and provide a win, win situation in which I would not hesitate to use their services again, or refer others to their business. It did take some communication, but they were willing to work with me, and that is what I have come to expect from a solid company.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I needed to find out some contact information about a person. The steps were easy to follow and my contact with the office was very professional. It was easy to sign up and also easy to discontinue if I wanted to.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Blocking unwanted calls. Spokeo serves the purpose that I subscribed to it for. I do not answer my phone if I do not recognize the number, so that sets me up to possibly miss important calls. With Spokeo, I can research the number after the call. Spokeo lets me know if the call is political, sales, robocall, or no name calls so that I feel safe in blocking those numbers from my phone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

STAY AWAY FROM THIS JOINT. I searched Google to get more info regarding a phone number out of Florida and Spokeo website popped up. I input the subject phone number in the search window of the spokeo website and after few seconds, a window opened up and indicated the following information is AVAILABLE related to the subject phone number – Name, Phone number, Address, email address and other related info, but in order to get the information, you had to pay. So I paid.

Only info this DUMB website provided was that the number is from Florida and it’s a landline that’s all, nothing ease, no name no address, or any other information provided. I got upset so I called their phone number which was on their website, 1-888-558-5428 and I spoke to Thomas. I explained the issue and demanded refunds, he said, No Refunds, best he can do is to cancel my subscription. THIS IS A RIPOFF JOINT that need to be looked into by Authorities.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Don't waste your time or money paying for the so called "data base" of information. First you have to agree to pay $0.95 to check the report you requested, which isn't that bad, but once you're in, they keep asking for more money, $4.95, $9.95, if you want to look at more detailed information. Then it jumps to $21.95...etc, etc. and just keeps going. None of the information is accurate. I had gotten a strange email from a company in California with an unknown name attached to my email and this made me curious as to how they got my email address, so I logged on to Spokeo thinking I could find out some information. Not at all! I think this is a scam! Again, don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I used their service to look up 1 person. Paid the fee for the 1 time use, apparently they signed me up for a monthly $24.99 plan and only found it 10 months later that it was charging me every month...Somehow a 1.95 cent purchase turned into $249.... They never were given permission to auto draft and customer service doesn't care even though they can see there has never been a login past that 1 event. Use a different service because no telling if me turning it off will actually turn off the billing...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I was searching for family members, even though I did not find the information I wanted Spokeo staff were more than willing to help, even after I cancelled my subscription. I give them 5 stars for effort.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I Needed to verify the name and address of a cell phone number. They advertised they could provide it. They gave me only the location of the phone number and the wireless company. Nothing about who owned the phone. Worthless!

Spokeo Company Information