toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your inquiry. We received your complaint at the office of the Vice President of Customer Care at Spokeo. We understand your concern, and want to ensure that you will be helped. We will be contacting you shortly through a private message in order to assist you further with this issue.

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 9, 2017

I wanted to look up information on a lost friend... and ended up with a one time charge which turned into a monthly subscription which I didn't want. I called and customer service told me they would credit my account. They didn't. Next month same charge. I called again, they had no record of my previous request for cancellation. I filed a complaint with Wells Fargo. BINGO. I got a complete refund. READ THE FINE PRINT. I didn't.

My 8 year old goddaughter was getting obscene phone calls. I changed my mind and took everything I had to the police. The young lady that spoke with me was so helpful and kind. She even told me it would be to go to the police since I had a tape and the phone number. Please thank her for me.

The person I spoke with was very helpful, polite and knowledgeable. They answered all my concerns and questions. Took care of my problem in a great manner. Thanking them very much for taking care of my concerns and problem that I had. They were very helpful.

Dear Evelyn,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 7, 2017

Unsubscribed on June 1st when free trial ended. And my debit card was charged. I had trouble getting information from services. Would not allow me to sign. So I am not satisfy with the service that was render. Please refund money.

Dear Karin,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 6, 2017

DON'T waste your money. This is a total ripoff. I ordered a one month trial which gets you NOTHING that you don't already see. For "additional information" you have to get premium. However, even that provides no detail and is simply a repetition of what is already available by simply searching Google results. I will never fall for this classic fraud again. Disputing on my charge card and my advice to anyone thinking about using them, don't waste your time or money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Dear Debbie,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 3, 2017

I feel like this is intended for a business. I am a 65 year old retired grandmother with just a personal phone for my enjoyment. I used this only once for a short time. When I realized this was not what I thought it was, I canceled immediately. I am continuing to get correspondence. I have unsubscribe about 4 times. I'm assuming I might need help getting my name off the list. It has been somewhat frustrating. Thanks for your help.

Dear Frida,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 2, 2017

(After my ordeal with Spokeo.com I find that Spokeo.com was charged a fine by the FTC. So beware.) I originally started at this website to look for myself and what info what out there. I saw that they had 30 day free trial so I wanted to try. As soon as I finish entering my credit card info, I see on my account info that I will be charged 4.95 for a service that claimed to be free. But that was just the beginning, seeing that receipt should've alarmed me but instead I emailed them and I cancelled my "recurring" monthly charge.

I only received an email about my cancellation receipt. I have still not received ANY feedback and their supposedly 24/7 hotline always seems to be "busy" or have a "busy" tone. I had to check my bank account and it was overdrawn... Spokeo charged me 29.70 when they said it was FREE. I still have yet to get a response and every time I call I get hung up on after hearing the busy tone. Do NOT USE THIS SITE.

Checking unknown repeating out-of-state text unlegible as if I was listening in on private conversation. Texted back inquiry to no reply and received same text number sometime later. Probably nothing but an online text number search brought me to you. When I found out I had inadvertently signed on to be auto-billed monthly, I cancelled immediately. At that time I suggested your company also market to people like me. Offer the option to do a one-time transaction (what I thought I was doing). I must've missed that print.

Dear Brian,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: June 1, 2017

You should explain to the customer that when you sign up you are getting six months charged to your card all at once. On the site I did not see that explanation. This can cause some confusion when you see the charges on your acct.

Dear Dennis,

Original review: May 25, 2017

I previously subscribed to Spokeo.com. I had to cancel subscription due to unforeseen personal issues. I've recently renewed subscription but I am now very disappointed. While I was away for some 6 to 8 months the format has changed and it is now much more difficult to maneuver. To make matters worse information I've found on personal friends is not nearly as accurate as in the past. I'm not sure how much longer I'll remain a subscriber. Before the changes Spokeo.com in my opinion was outstanding.

Dear Eloise,

Original review: May 25, 2017

About 2-3 weeks ago, I talked to 2 rep, first lady didn't give good info. 2nd guy was OK but still did NOT make the "Free" trial $4.99 clear and ended up being charged for 6 months!!! I complained but Spokeo took off Visa Card... Your rep need clean and concise monthly fees esp on "free trial" offers! I was quite disappointed w/ customer service!

Very good people search!!! Ok prices (depending on the how much of people you are looking for) at least be able to search for who knows whom!!! I'm going to stay a long time in custom. I hope that the information or check "the sources" that when they are placed in Spokeo pages.

It was a big help in getting information that I wanted. It did not give a specific birth date. Just the month and year. It was good for the price I paid. I did find it useful. I can't remember if it gave current employment info.

This app was very easy to use and very helpful in locating the information needed. I would recommend its use to anyone trying to locate someone. I was able to locate the individual in a timely manner and able to get in contact with them as soon as possible.

Excellent response and solution. Put your query and SPOKEO will revert with a solution. Very informative site which help in getting desired information within no time. SPOKEO abides to its policies which are mentioned and they do not share your info with other sources.

Dear Danielle,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: May 10, 2017

3 months ago while applying for jobs my husband signed up for this service for what he thought was $2.95. We were billed another $16.95 and although he has a record, nothing showed up! Unhappy, hubby called and spoke to an agent about the $16.95 charge which they said they would refund and cancel the service. Not only did they not cancel the service, they continued charging us, for NOTHING, not 1 piece of info!

I called again and strangely enough they didn't have record of us calling the 1st time, nor the cancellation! So, over $60 in the hole and no information on his background check, which we know is not squeaky clean! Just waiting for the 10th of June to deal with this mess again. Do not use this company! My husband is calling again and again until we get a representative that will refund our money! Now we know better...

This site is comprehensive and informative. The ease of use interface is designed to assist the user with in depth inquiries. The information was complete and detailed. Will recommend this search site for anyone who is searching for information.

When I asked for a chargeback because I failed to cancel the subscription correctly, they replied to me within 24 hours, and the charges were removed. Can't ask for any better customer service than that!! Knowing they'll respond will always cause me to use them in the future as needed.

Looking for Identity theft personal and got the information needed to alert the police department in the location of the crime. They are investigating the serious problem that involves fraud and identity cases. This site is very informative and gave us what we were looking for. We will definitely be using this website in the future.

Dear Vonnie,

Original review: April 25, 2017

I purchased what was supposed to be 1 day use for $1.99. No e-mail confirmation with information about what I purchased. I got a bill on my credit card for $19.99. I thought it was just for that month... bad enough. Next month I got billed for another $19.99. I called and was told that I had purchased a 7 day trial with automatic subscription. They would NOT refund any of my money. That's a lot of money considering all I wanted to do was look up one person. If they would have even refunded part of it, I wouldn't be writing a bad review. They need to have clearer purchasing information and better customer service.

Dear Raymond,

Original review: April 25, 2017

I did not find the person or e-mail address or phone or address of the person I was looking for on this site. If you want to let me have it for free like it said for 5 days I will try again. It said free trial offer and I was charged.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a great experience with Spokeo. They are very professional and courteous. When I wanted to cancel membership, it was done right away. I appreciate what they did and I would use them again if I needed to do so.

We find that it's valuable to contact previous contributors. Once a year we do a mailing. If any of our mailed pieces come back with the Post Office yellow stickers - "Cannot Deliver" - we use Spokeo to try to update their address.

Well satisfied with experience with this company. I used account for a single research that satisfied my need. I am not a business and didn't used this account for any personal needs other than to verify a number. Would use again if needed.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Dear Jean-Marc,

Original review: April 25, 2017

Thought the service would be helpful, enticed by a discounted 6 month plan offer, but disappointed with the limitation that were described upfront. Basically I realized that the system is not counted searches that one person really has in mind, but any profile opening is considered a search. So when I am looking for a common name, and a laundry list appear as a result of a search, I need to open several profiles to figure out whether it is the person I am looking for. All those count as one search each. I was blocked after 100 (per month but reached much earlier) and asked to upgrade and pay more...

Quite deceptive. I managed to find 3 names (with 100 profiles opened) :( and need to wait for next month to get another shot at it unless I pay more. Not at all what I expected and I have no idea yet whether the information I found is accurate or not. I do not recommend it for somewhat common names searches. Unusual name searches may work better.

Very good in locating people. Much better than 411, only problem is when signing up it was not clear the number of contacts you could make in 1 month, but of course you can pay as I found out for more.

Dear Cindy,

Spokeo Customer Care

Original review: April 18, 2017

On Sept. 6, 2016, I signed up on the Spokeo website for what was represented as an "all access" 6-month search plan for $29.70. Soon after I entered the site, I discovered that I was only able to access the e-mail search, and would have to pay extra for any other searches that I wanted to make. I immediately emailed Spokeo an email that began, "Good Evening, a few minutes ago I signed up for a plan which was represented as if it was an 'all access plan'." I explained in the email that since I didn't get what I thought I was buying, I wanted to cancel the membership, expecting that my $29.70 would be refunded. However, later that night, I received a reply from Spokeo that they had disabled the automatic renewal, but that they had not generated a refund.

I was not very interested in email searches, and the Plan Specifications for the Premium Plan that I bought gave me 200 searches, so on 10/27/2016 I went ahead and added the Name Search also for an additional $17.15, thinking that at least maybe I could find some old friends. For the first few searches everything went fine, until November 1, when I had done 20 Name Searches. Then I got a message that I could only do 20. I sent a message to Spokeo, asking why I could only do 20 Name searches when my plan specified that I could do 200? The reply from the Spokeo representative said: Their subscriptions are initially offered for a "single search type." My subscription allows a quota of 20 searches per month. "If additional search types are needed, you can purchase them at a prorated cost. In addition, we show that this account did not have a 200-Email Search service."

The next day, on 11/3/2016 I emailed Spokeo back and told them that I wasn't trying to be difficult, but a mistake had been made on my account, and I would appreciate it if someone would look it over and fix it. I had a screenshot of the Plan Specification that was in effect when I bought the membership to Spokeo. It showed 200 E-Mail Searches per Month. I also had a screenshot of the Plan Specification that described the Premium plan on THAT VERY DAY, and it showed 20 searches EACH to NAME, EMAIL, PHONE, and ADDRESS. It was described as an "ALL-IN-ONE-BUNDLE". In response, Spokeo's email back to me said, "Upon review of the account I can confirm that the Name Search subscription purchased on the account was for a limit of 20 searches," and basically repeated what the previous email had said.

I was so frustrated with this bunch! There seemed to be no way in heck to get them to listen, to look, or to even TRY and understand logic. But on February 27, 2017, I thought I'd try ONE MORE TIME. I sent a message and just said, "I know what I paid for, I know what I was supposed to get, I know what I didn't get, and somebody there needs to do their job and look at what I'm saying!" I sent both screenshots again, and told them that I paid for 200 searches. I did not get them. The plan was changed. But I did not receive the benefits of the new plan either, SO, I actually paid a total of $46.85 for 20 e-mail searches per month + 20 name searches per month. AND IF Spokeo still insists that my plan did not include the 200 name searches per month, but instead was the new Premium Plan, which included 20 Name, Email, Phone and Address searches, then please refund me my $17.15 that I paid for the Name Search add-on to my plan.

Spokeo promptly refunded me the $17.15, which means that they FINALLY understood that they had changed their plan, but they didn't give ME the plan I paid for. Even after they changed to the “All Access Plan” I could only perform 20 Email and 20 Name searches per month. This was a total ripoff, and one of the most frustrating experiences with a business’s customer support that I have ever had.

Refunded without questions. Very good service for their customers. I appreciate them doing a service with no questions asked. It was a good service, but just not enough info for what I was looking for for $9.95. Thank you for the refund and service.

Spokeo is easier to use than the competition. You offer the small pkg which I will use often. I wouldn't use the larger pkgs. Your personnel are knowledgeable and pleasant. I am very happy with the Spokeo business. Don't change anything!

I did find him deceased but I found another friend at the same time that I connected with because of the site with my first try. I had great time and a wonderful experience and I would recommend only this site to my friends and family. I have been looking for this friend for ten years. Thank you.

Spokeo.com Company Profile