2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.91/5

Need a background check company?

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

Spokeo.com Reviews

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching a person and given a trial for $.85. When I went to cancel it a few minutes later they wanted $37.95 to cancel it. As soon as it is posted to my credit card I will put the charge in disputes. I also put a review on their website.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I am starting to feel like many Americans that respond to these data base companies that when you see errors on your shared data that updating becomes an impossible mission. On my case they have about half the data wrong including my photo but as I check out the data which shows a LinkedIn connection for a different person my photo is there.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I was looking for my Brother's last known address since we have not seen each other in 25 years. I signed up for the 7 Day Trial Only. Spokeo automatically charged my Credit Card $24.95 on the 8th day and only refunded me $9.95. Deceptive Practices in not stating up-front that after 7 days, the monthly maintenance fee is $24.95. Everyone please be aware, especially my fellow Veterans and AARP Members.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I was looking for the phone number of a local person and made the mistake of going on Spokeo because we don't have paper phone books anymore; I didn't finish the transaction but they still took $24.95 out of my bank account and would only refund one-half of that. You can get the information cheaper elsewhere and if you go on their site you may end up paying for something you didn't even get or use.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Before I registered for my "free trial" (which by the way is not free - it's 0.95 which is not about the amount of money but the principle of misleading people) their site offered that they had "detailed address information" regarding a phone number I entered. If by detailed address information they mean a CITY then they fulfilled their duty: however, in my personal opinion that is not a detailed address it is rather a city: a very general area - not specific and certainly not a detailed address. Rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Fell for the $.99 search of a phone number that I got no results for. I was reviewing my account a couple of weeks later only to find a charge of $24.95 that was renewing monthly. Opened a dispute with both Spokeo and my cc company. Waiting for refund but not too optimistic. They are very deceptive!!!! See pop-ups for everything else, why don't we see them to warn us on sites like this?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I purchased a $1.95 info and a week later I was charge for a monthly membership. I did not authorized this. If they think I did, it must be from their confusing webpage. When I received this charge, I tried to log on to the website. The site would not allow me to log on. I had to call them and argue to get my money refunded. It's a scam to steal from you. Don't do it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I signed up for a one-time search on Spokeo. I got notice they were going to bill me for a month after that, so I immediately went online to cancel. Got a confirmation that my account was canceled on 10/22, and I would not be billed again. I was billed the very next day, which showed up on my November 3rd statement. When I called Spokeo, they first said I had to pay that charge, but I would not be billed again. I said they told me I would not be billed again on 10/22, but I was billed again on 10/23. She argued, then said “Just a minute”. She came back and said my account was eligible for immediate cancellation so she would refund $9.98 of the $$24.95 they should not have billed me. She couldn’t explain anything further. In my book, they are crooked.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

If you are looking to identify the owner of a phone number it most likely is not going to happen. When you type in the phone number initially, you will get a response that says you must pay for the information. You will either be asked to sign up for a temporary free membership and pay .95 cents for that which will become a 24 dollar membership automatically if you do not cancel.

Next option is a one time payment of 1.95 for the information but you still have to make an account with them to sign in. I did the one time payment for one number and when I hit the enter button, they had no information on that number. In fact the information from free sites was more plentiful that the information from SPOKEO. They in essence had me pay a 1.95 fee to tell me that they had no information on the owner of the number. This service is pretty much a scam. I would stay away. I feel like an idiot for using it and I probably am.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

If I could they would get 0 stars. Spokeo.com charged my card 2 times each month. Do not give them your banking or card information. They charge whatever they want to your card. Please don't trust this company with your information.

Not sure about Spokeo.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Background Check Companies for you.

Spokeo.com expert review by Ben Mannes

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Spokeo.com Company Information