3.15/5
Based on 380 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

633 Spokeo.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I agreed to pay .95 cents for a one-time lookup but discovered they were charging me $29.95 a month for a monthly subscription I never agreed on. This is a scam site. Do not use their services unless you want to be charged monthly. Criminal!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a one time report for $1.95 on top of which they have added $0.95, which is OK. But then I was surprised to find out months later that I've been paying $19.95 every month for a subscription I did not authorize. There was not a single email or mail on this from them. I clearly remember there was nothing that mentioned it was a trial. The customer service was rude when discussing this. I asked him why there is no monthly statement for their service, which would have caught my eye way before if it was the case. He kept telling me the monthly statement is the charge I see in my credit card. This was absolutely ridiculous. So, stay away from this company altogether.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Beware of the Spokeo Deception. I performed and paid for a single phone # search through the Spokeo site several months ago, and just noticed on my bank statement a reoccurring monthly charge of $19.95. At that time there was no indication that by performing a single search that I was signing up for a monthly subscription. If they had, I would have never used Spokeo. They make way more money using this deception than being upfront and honest with the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

In order to research a renter I authorized Spokeo to charge $0.95 on my credit card. I stopped navigating their web pages when they asked for more money. A subsequent fraud alert from my bank turned out be due to the fact that Spokeo had started a yearly charge of $24.95 on my credit card.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This service of Spokeo is a shame and a joke, I was trying to research a phone number and all I got was the same phone number and nothing else. What a joke. This is an scam. Don't waste your time and money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Used this site for a reverse search which provided me no information whatsoever on the individual I was looking up. Not only that they charged .99 which ok no big deal. They didn’t make clear that after so many days they rolled it to a monthly subscription that charges $19.95! Imagine my surprise when I was billed by them yesterday! So I called customer service and got a run around first of the usual “you still have access for x number of days! But your account is cancelled”. I reiterated I wanted a refund, I didn’t care to use their service again and that they weren’t clear it was a subscription I was going to be billed for.

To which they offered a partial refund of their shortest package but refused to do a refund still. I explained again I had no use for their service (since it didn’t help at all anyway) and they literally billed me yesterday so there’s no reason for them not to refund. But no they won’t budge on it and also the refund takes several days to process. I should see it by 10/10. Funny how they can take the money so quick, refuse to return it all and then take ages to do some pitiful partial refund. Avoid their service at all costs. It isn’t actually helpful at all, they just want your money.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

This company is a SCAM. This is the email I received from this company. "A Spokeo Single Search Report for "name" was purchased on your account for $1.95. This allows you to view the "name" profile page on the Spokeo website indefinitely for a one-time charge. You can log back in to your account at any time to check for updates to the "name" listing. A PDF purchase would send the desired information to the user's email, which can be accessed off of the Spokeo website. A PDF has not yet been purchased on your account."

So, basically after you research and find your name and purchase the initial part that profile page just gives you your name, phone number, and email address. For you to get more information like court records/public information you have to additionally pay more money. How much who knows? This reminds me of a movie where a guy goes in a bar, ask for information and gives the bartender $20.00 then keeps giving him $20.00 more until he finally gets his answer after like $300.00 bucks. Additionally, they had me as a female and not male. And when I spoke to an agent from the company they couldn't even answer my question. This gives you an idea where they're getting your information from, the garbage. Please think twice before using this site.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They are a scam. I paid for a reverse search on a phone number. When they finally showed me the results there was NO information on it. Nothing. They had no information at all. THEN they offered to sell me a pdf. I assumed it was a pdf featuring a blank page. They are crooks and have no information. Save your money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had very bad experience with this site last night. My girlfriend searched my name and Spokeo had me "married" to a lady I had never met nor had contact with. This situation has caused me much anguish and ridicule and was charged with being a Liar by my girlfriend. I called their "Customer Care" line this morning and voiced my concern this incorrect information had caused me and demanded a letter of explanation and also asked to have this lady's name removed from my profile. They said they would get back to me within 72 hours. This is the most embarrassing and humiliating experiences I have lived through. And, I did not cause it!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Phone numbers and info isn't up to date. Found info I was looking for on a free site. Had Spokeo subscription two days. Asked for refund. They would only refund 40 percent. COMPLETE RIP OFF. Save your money. Look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This company lures you into a .95 phone number lookup and disguises an ongoing $19.95 per month charge until you call them to cancel. So basically if you Google a phone number and want to know who it came from the Spokeo website pops up and offers to look up the number for $.95, once they have your credit card number they bill you in 8 days. Stay away from this obvious rip off!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS OUTFIT... Fraudulent operations. 1. The service is a joke - you get more from googling a person. 2. Provides no information - and then requests more payments and payment options for further report - you order that report - and they cannot even find family members or addresses which are reported in valid operations. 3. BeenVerified and USA people search provide 10 x the information at less cost. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. These people will steal your credit card number and there is no way to delete it in their own system. They will charge you - for services not provided and in advance for six months at a time. The owners are thieves. Anyone can make millions doing this.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Stay away from this site. They are crooks! I agreed to a one time fee ($9.85), but was never informed or read anything about being billed monthly. The next month I had a credit charge for $19.95 that they couldn't explain, and the initial charge of $9.85. After calling to complain, they agreed to refunding me $29.80, but never did. Furthermore, the information they provided was vague and inaccurate.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I paid the .97 cents to look up one number. Nowhere did it mention I was now subscribed to their service. I did not authorize any further charges. Two days later they removed $24.95 from my bank account without any explanation. I've had to change my debit card and I did put a fraud alert against them with my bank. They are nothing more than filthy thieves. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from them.

Original review: July 28, 2018

By giving your info to get a phone number's info you will then be automatically billed for 2 services. One is called connections for $9.85 without even knowing... Scam. The other is for $19.95 for 100 searches with is also a scam without knowing. Serious. This is the worst scam I have ever seen. Do not give them any info. You will not be able to fix this. Example... On my 5/10/2018 used the service. My total was .95 cents for just looking up a phone number. 6/4/2018 was billed 19.95. For what I have no idea... 6/09/2018 was billed 9.85. On 7/5/2018 was billed 19.95. On 7/9/2018 was billed 9.85. On 7/22/2018 was billed 19.95. Wtf. How do you explain that. No lie.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I wish I had found ConsumerAffairs reviews on Spokeo before I purchased a subscription so I could search. I purchased a basic package, plus the Court records. After unsuccessfully searching for the person I bought the subscription to check out, I did a search on myself, a few family members, and friends. While Spokeo did show some accurate info (current address on myself), it also had a ton of inaccurate info. That included a photo of me (it wasn't me), lots of phone numbers that have never been mine (not even the correct state), email addresses that weren't mine, social accounts that weren't mine, addresses that I never lived at (not even once), and the list goes on.

This continued with everyone that I knew and searched... most of it was inaccurate. So that gave me zero confidence that even if I got results on the person I was searching that I didn't actually know, the results wouldn't even be accurate. Huge waste of money. Everything I saw about myself is already online for free, and I paid for a bunch of other information that wasn't even correct. Save yourself the hassle, do NOT purchase Spokeo.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I contacted customer service for Spokeo.com because this site provides caller ID services to several cell phones. My business phone number comes up on those caller IDs as a former owner. I asked if there is a way that they could update their database with the correct information as this has been ongoing for months. They advised me that they could not update my phone number with the correct information. I then asked if I was a customer and paid them to provide current information on that phone number what information would they provide. The number can easily be verified as my business number through the white pages or a simple Google search.

They replied that they would provide the outdated information that they have on file and I would then be responsible for paying for their service of providing me with the most current information that they have (even though it is out of date and I could obtain the correct information for free on my own). I highly advise that you do not waste your money doing business with this rip off company that has zero customer service. All of the data that they provide for a fee is easily accessible for free through a Google search. Also, their database is not kept current, so in reality you would be giving them free money to pay for incorrect information. This company has no concern for its customers and it has outgrown its use by robbing its customers of their hard earned money.

Resolution response: May 3, 2018

Although it took a bit of time, that included discussions with supervisors at several levels and multiple telephone calls, I was able to secure a full refund. This was only achieved with quite a bit of persistence and time on my part. Nevertheless, I must give Spokeo some credit. This admittedly came to resolution with their assistance.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Use this service... beware. They have a very straightforward policy. When you use a trial subscription, you consent to an auto pay policy. If you fail to cancel this subscription you will be billed until doing so. Like others who have commented. They will resolve some billing issues if you take the time to call and challenge them. Here is my warning: if you fail to spot these charges in a timely way you will be responsible and they will not reverse charges. They will only reverse charges which are contestable with the assistance of your credit card company or bank. Visa for example will not contest charges over 120 days. In other words if your payment method will help contest they will cooperate. If you have no assistance from your financial partner you will be politely told to shove it.

Original review: March 10, 2018

My personal information is posted to Spokeo and I would like it removed. I followed the instructions under Privacy, which was to copy and paste the URL of my profile to the page, enter my email address (which made me apprehensive) and click that I wasn't a robot to complete. The process will not complete. It continues to refresh the "are you a robot" question. I would like my information remove immediately and indefinitely.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Joined Spokeo for 1 reason, to get my girlfriend's address in order to send her flowers for Valentine's Day without me having to ask her what the address is (complete spoiler). Looked up her name on Google and Spokeo was the first site that popped up. Said her info was updated that very day and asked me for $0.97 to provide me with what I required, so ok, was worth it. Gave them the requested money, next page requires a monthly membership that is on me to cancel, but it gets better. Above I mentioned it said her info was updated the day I asked, it was at least two years old. I know this for two reasons. 1) I helped her move into the apartment she's at (who looks at addresses then), 2) the deal breaker...called to complain and they told me it was outdated by 2 yrs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Warning to everyone who is looking to do a background check on someone. Make sure you check the website fully because I used a website called Spokeo. I was charged money to get information about someone and 95% of the information was wrong. So I called customer service for them to say I could not get my money back and in my case I feel when a company portray himself as being able giving accurate information and they are not able to do that they should refund the money or not portray themselves as being able to give accurate information. But to be clear this is only my personal experience and my feelings and I’m not saying to not use this site. Again I’m only saying to check out any website 100% that charges money.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I paid .95 cents for the 7 day trial. If you don't cancel by 7 days, a $19.95 charge is placed on your account. I cancelled via email with my account number and name. They sent an additional email requesting more information... last 4 digits of card used, email address (duh, it was on my email), name associate with account (duh, it was on my email). In the meantime, the 7 days went by and the charge was put on my account for $19.95.

When I CALLED to dispute and ask for charges to be reversed, he said he could only credit me $7.95. I said NO, give me someone with more authority and he came back and said the full amount would be reversed in 7-10 days. LESSON LEARNED: THEY ARE ALL ABOUT SNEAKING THE MONTHLY CHARGE IN. IF YOU ARE NOT ON TOP OF THIS, THEY BENEFIT. I told the guy helping me, Matthew, how deceitful the service is and how they need to change. He claimed that my husband's name was on the account, but I used my debit card with my name, my email. Not my problem they converted the names.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Spokeo Free Reverse Cell Phone Search - There is nothing free about this site. Should be illegal to mislead people the way this company advertises. Oh wait... it is right? How do these people get by with this?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Paid .95 to look who had call me, I knew it was a local number but they gave me someone in NC. So I cancel my membership & went to white pages & paid $1 and got the right info. So Spokeo is not worth it!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I looked up myself and my family members here just to see how accurate it was. Almost nothing was correct. They couldn't even get my birthday right, which is very public on my social media profiles. They had several wrong numbers and random addresses listed, they put people I have never even heard of as my relatives, and couldn't find any of my social media profiles even though I have a pretty uncommon name and several public profiles. Stupid service and a ripoff. What the hell are they using to verify this crap?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I searched myself and almost 80% of everything they had for me was untrue. I have never lived in California, never heard of some of the supposed family members, don't have any kind of criminal record, phone numbers were incorrect, etc. When I called to get it removed and my "membership" canceled, I got Shea on the line. She was very rude, just wanted to get me off the phone. Now when I want to complain, I have to set up an "account" with more of my personal information. Spokeo is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I in recent months use the service they advertise that charges would only be $12 a month but then they turn around and charge you 40 to $50 for one search. I then called the company and cancelled my subscription to their service and they told me that I had one year to use the service but they did not tell me about the reoccurring charges that I would be receiving without my permission so of course they charged my account again and again taking money out without my consent. I cancelled again and told them not to be taking money out of my account anymore. Hopefully they will listen and this does not occur again because then I will have to go to the bank and be issued a new card just to get these people off my back. Spokeo is just a rip-off and a scam. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Spokeo website is selling people's information that 'maybe' had been obtained without any permission or disclosures, and try to overcharge users with any remorse. My experience, they try to change my plan from $24.95 for 4000 searches to 5000 records at $495 per month. Besides Their platform is a joke. Don't keep records from searches done. GO FIGURE, obsolete data, bad emails, phone numbers that don't work. Also you can't find anywhere on your account your payment history. The customer service is as bad as their website, including David 'the supervisor'. Once I started complaining he sent me to several operators.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

The information on this site is completely inaccurate. I have spoken to a guy named Joosh about the information they have and how it was obtained. Completely untrue. The information, addresses etc. were NEVER used by the people they had them attached to. Some they intermixed and had people faces attached to names that were NOT even them. This site is NOTHING more than a SCAM. Let's not even get into the charging. It say $1.00 then charge you $30.00. Someone needs to investigate and shut down this site. It's a SCAM!!!

Spokeo.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs