2. Background Check Companies
Spokeo

Spokeo

3.1/5 (803 ratings)

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information

Cons

• Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Bottom Line

Spokeo is a paid people search engine that provides users with public information. Users can search names, phone numbers, emails and more to find information on a person. Spokeo compiles the public data into a profile.

Top Spokeo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Verified

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel,...

Verified

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. … Although I tried a few ot...

What is Spokeo?

Spokeo uses more than 12 billion records found in thousands of databases to aggregate information and create personal profiles. With a standard membership, users can search for people by name, phone number, email or address. With these searches, users can find information such as:

• Age
  • Relatives
  • Marital status
  • Addresses
  • Contact information
  • Education level
  • Public social media and dating site profiles
  • Public photos and videos
  • Blog entries

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the possible information users can find, but it shows the variety of available information. Users can find contact information for loved ones, information on scam callers or the identity of someone harassing them. However, some reviewers note the information Spokeo displays may be out-of-date or inaccurate, so it's important to check your findings.

Many people use Spokeo to find lost family members or identify people trying to scam or harass them. The site adheres to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and its terms of use state that the site is not to be used for employee or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purposes covered by the FCRA.

Spokeo price

A one-time name report (which includes address, email, phone number, location history, marital status and family) from Spokeo costs only 95 cents if you opt into a free seven-day trial membership. After the trial, it bills you at $24.95 per month if you don't cancel. Alternatively, you can make a one-time purchase without the trial for $1.95.

You can also choose to try the service for a month, but Spokeo offers better deals for longer membership subscriptions. If you click its sign up button, you’re shown two membership tiers:

• $19.95 per month for a three-month recurring membership
  • $24.95 per month for a one-month recurring membership

Spokeo states there may be additional fees for a full background check that includes court and historical records.

Spokeo FAQ

What can Spokeo tell you?
Spokeo shows you public data about the people you search for. This includes contact information, social media, court records and historical records.
How do I delete my Spokeo account?
Closing your account is a simple process. If you want it completely deleted, however, you must contact the Contact Care team.
How much does Spokeo cost?
Certain searches can be done on Spokeo for free. Access to more information costs between 95 cents to $24.95, depending on your membership commitment choice.
Is Spokeo safe?
Spokeo is committed to being a safe way to learn about the people around you. It keeps your personal data, payment details and account information secure.

Is Spokeo legit?

Spokeo is a legitimate information gathering service. The company takes the legwork out of finding public information by gathering it all into a neat profile. For those who use it, Spokeo is a safe and confidential way to find information. Whether you’re trying to reconnect with someone, check on someone you’re meeting for the first time or combat scammers, Spokeo can help.

Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Most of the reviewers who have given one star are complaining about their deceptive billing practices. I never fell for that, so that's not my issue. A person can find a lot of information for free. BUT, Spokeo adds new information, but never deletes old information. I often see information for people who have been dead for years and the information shown shows what their age would be were they still alive! I just entered my late neighbor's name (she died 8 years ago at age 79) and the result shows where she "lives" and her age as 87.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Made me purchase a user report, then said NO MATCHES FOUND to the email address I was inquiring about. Tell me from the start you didn't find anything instead of pretending long enough to squeeze money out of me. Dishonest business practice.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Auto subscription and auto pay, wasted money. Cheating Detail and No result for details. All people be aware this website. Be aware the auto subscription, your money will gone. Useless apps, if this app's very helpful. 1000$ I also willing to pay. But!!!! It won't. Don't install!!!! Don't Install!!!! Don't Install!!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I ordered a one time search for $.95. A month later I got charged $24.95 for a month! I saw no language that said this would happen on the site. BAD practice. Be aware of this and don't bother unless you want to have unplanned charges.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I ordered a one-time $0.95 search look-up of a cell phone. There was NO obvious language that they'd be auto billing me for a monthly fee. Very predatory practices. Plus, their search capabilities have declined in the past decade.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I gave this company my debit card number to look up a phone number which was supposed to cost 95 cents. They, in turn, subscribed me to their service billing me $24.95 a month. I went online and cancelled but they continued to bill my card another $24.95. I had to call them to cancel the subscription. I had to call them to cancel again. If they bill me another $24.95 next month I'm going to have to get my bank involved to stop them from billing me every month. What a ripoff!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have been using Spokeo for 3 years and find it very useful in evaluating potential renters of my property. Information is not always accurate or update but the extensive amount of information allows me to get a good feel for potential tenants.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I agreed to a one time $1.00 trial. Next thing I know Spokeo is taking $25.00 a month from my account. I never ever authorized that. Not to mention, I looked up my information they had on me, it was not even 10% accurate. SCAMMER"s BEWARE of Crookeo.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Finally, Spokeo made a refund for the monthly subscription and sent an email about. Anyhow I found that they should tell that the report is empty before they charge you for it.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I bought a single report for 0,95 USD. I had to pay to see they found no records about my query. Later they are trying charge 24,95 USD in my bank account. Can it be named as an scam? I will report this web for bad practices and scamming.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I got a text from a strange email account and was trying to do a reverse email search. Spokeo said they had results but that I had to pay for them. After paying with my credit card I found that there were actually NO results! Very dishonest and misleading; such behavior should be illegal! They did refund my money but they cannot refund my wasted time.

Spokeo Company Information