3.41/5

Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

661 Spokeo.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

I contacted Spokeo.com asking them to remove my personal info from their website. To begin with, some of the information displayed were incorrect such as my age and relatives. Spokeo.com agreed to remove the info per my request, but to my dismay, my personal info was not removed, but rather, got changed to another location. I’m now listed under a Past Residents section of another one of my supposedly relatives. This person and I share the same common last name but we’re not related in any way. This company is fraudulent.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This company makes ZERO attempt to provide accurate information. Yet, they pose as a security company. In small, light grey text at the bottom of their site, they say they do not follow FCRA (fair credit reporting act) standards. So - WHAT are people paying for? This fraudulent website steals and extorts and should not be allowed to exist.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

My name is Richard Harvey ** Sr., age 75 living in Tennessee. I reviewed some of the basic reports SPOKEO has on myself. I have never seen more inaccurate information put out as fact, where there is no basis for it. First example is my address: I do not live, nor have I ever lived in Bartlett, or Arlington Tennessee. They have incomplete information on employment, relatives, in short, it is a sloppy, thrown together pile of misinformation.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Purchased a $.95 single time look up and only ever input credit card info for a 1 time purchase. Later was billed $25 for a subscription. I called Spokeo, immediately canceled my account, and addressed the charge to which they said there was nothing they could do. After some more speaking, I was offered a prorated return of $9.98. I inquired why the return was less than half of the subscription cost when I had canceled my subscription the day it was started. I was told this is because I still had access to my account for a few more weeks. I explained that I have no desire to have an account at all and am not interested in a few more weeks of access.

The agent on the phone said that she can’t do an accurate prorate and to take it or leave it, so I regretfully took the minimal return. This sort of customer care is unlike any I have received before in similar situations dealing with Amazon Prime or Hulu both of which I have been able to cancel in the past with a full refund on the grounds that I never used them. All in all I would not recommend this service to anyone who doesn’t intend on using it very frequently and meriting the $25 per month charge.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I attempted to look up one person's phone number for .95 cents. Spokeo promised a 7 Day Satisfaction guarantee. The problem is, you don't find out it was a SCAM until you get your credit card bill 30 to 45 days later. I complained to my credit card company & they reversed the charges and credited my account. However, Spokeo aggressively contacted my credit card company and attempted to recover their money, and my credit card company charged me again! ADVICE - Complain to Spokeo immediately upon seeing your bill. COMPLAIN IN WRITING & KEEP YOUR EMAIL!! You will need this for proof down the road when your credit card company rebills you due to Spokeo's aggressive tactics!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased the 7 day premium trial Jan 28th. Of course I forgot when the trial was over. I cancelled on March 11 and was refunded a small part of the current charge. To my surprise I found out there were duplicate charges on another one of my credit cards, for which I have no explanation how they got that information.

I feel defrauded.

Original review: April 20, 2019

If you are not an actual free service do not claim that you are. Spokeo says it is free to search, that is true but that is as far as free goes. In implying free i would expect the results from the search would be included. A 7 day free trial is not in fact free. If you charge a debit card you are forcing a person into a commitment that does cost money therefore nothing here is free. When i google reverse phone lookup if i see a free reverse lookup to be exactly that. I expect the results back to be free. Otherwise i will be better off paying the dmv for the information ane showing my id. Spokeo is not a free service in not enough of a way to be the #1 google spot for a free service. Take free out of your advertising because giving you my debit card # cost me something, my time and my financial institutions time which i will pay for in the form of fees

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased a report from them for $.95. Within a few days, I received a charge of $19.95 on my credit card. I called their customer service department to ask what the charge was about and they informed me that my purchase allowed them to sign me up for a monthly program at $19.95/mo and the charge was my 1st month's billing. If there is a notice of this authorization on their web site, it must be hidden or difficult to find. I did not see it.

I felt like I was dealing with a used car sales manager trying to get this charge removed from my card and the 'membership' cancelled. The scheme goes like this: No refund because I agreed to their terms. Then they agreed to refund around $7 and cancel the subscription the next mo. I refused this offer and asked to escalate this issue to a supervisor. After waiting on hold, the representative told me I would only receive the $7 refund. I told them this was unacceptable and that I would dispute the charge with my credit card company and they (Spokeo) could deal with them. I was put on hold again and when the rep returned he told me the charge was being removed and the membership cancelled. I did receive an email confirmation of the cancellation. Beware of dealing with Spokeo.

Original review: March 27, 2019

This morning I got a couple of inappropriate text messages from a number I don't know so I was trying to see if I can find any information on Google about that phone number. The only information I could find is the town that the number is coming from. Then I saw a Spokeo ad saying find the owner of any cell phone number so I clicked on the link and it took me to the Spokeo homepage where it already showed the number I was looking up typed in and had the name supposed owner's name and all the information starred out because it was saying I needed to pay to see the information.

So I paid and got my confirmation and click to the page where I'm supposed to see all this information and every column said no information found. So I wasted money because the only information it showed was the town which I had already found on Google. Then I'm annoyed but think hey I may as well look over the site while I have the discounted sign up rate (it said in a few days It'd charge me the full $20 a mo every mo unless I cancel). So I go to try to look up my own name and it says I have to pay again because apparently when I paid for it it was just for that phone number and i got no information anyway. It's useless you can find the same amount of information on Google for free.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I needed to do a background check on one tenant and decided to use that site. After purchasing the report for $.95 and paying to print it ($.50) I found a charge on my card of $24.95 a few days later. Apparently, this site uses my card to change for membership I never applied for. BEWARE of this fraud and NEVER give them your card number. I found this site and it looks like a letter to FTC and Attorney General needs to be submitted to close this fraud.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I paid .95 to check out a phone number on 3/17/2019. I received an alert from American Express 3/24 regarding a pending charge from Spokeo.com for $24.95! This is very upsetting - the charge is unauthorized and spokeo.com kept my credit card information! I searched online and found out there is subscription service that gets renewed until canceled. Sure enough, I logged into my account at spokeo.com and realized that I have that service. I canceled the subscription service which I never ordered and was not aware of.

It is very sneaky for spokeo.com to charge one time customers for monthly subscription service that was never ordered. Additionally the subscription service charge did not start with the one time purchase charge date. It started a week later. I would likely not have noticed the charge if AX had not alerted me of this card not present online transaction.

Original review: March 23, 2019

This website is dangerous and creepy. On it, anyone has access to personal information. Although it is not always correct, there's usually at least an address and this is not ok. I went to this site to remove listings about me and my family and my LITTLE BROTHER was on it. He was NINE at the time and this site could have given someone the information they needed to kidnap him. Please, this site needs to be boycotted or shut down.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased a one-time request and ended up getting no information that I was expecting to receive. I got the same information from looking up the prefix of the telephone number. Spokeo should not be in business!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Very deceitful billing process... Do not sign up. They sneak the charges onto your credit card bill, and if you have a lot of charges, you may not notice their sneaky little $25 dollar charge for a few months... That's how they get you...

Original review: March 6, 2019

I don't know how or why a company like this is allowed to attempt to compile or provide private information about people, especially since the info they provide is so far from reality it makes no sense. If lawmakers cared about anything but enriching themselves this kind of scam would be shut down and the people behind it would be doing some jail time.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This company gets paid to post private, public information about people without their knowledge or consent. It is a sickening invasion of privacy and they should be shut down. They have my court records listed and absolutely refuse to take it down unless I have my record expunged, which I am not in a financial position to do right now. They are basically forcing me to expunge my record when I can't, holding my privacy hostage at their disposal, not caring at all about how this affects me. The public no longer has control about their own private information being given out. Thanks to companies like this and it needs to stop. I would encourage anyone and everyone to pursue legal action against this company for clear invasions on their privacy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I paid for full membership on Spokeo because a particular phone number has been harassing one of my children and none of us recognized the phone number. I got minimal to zero info after paying for their membership fee (despite paying the extra fee for court and personal records). Curious as to how accurate the information was that I had just paid for, I decided to look myself up. To say my information is WILDLY INACCURATE is a gross understatement! The only thing this site got correct was my address and email. It claims I am single, have no children, no known relatives, am on no social media sites nor can they find any info that links my email to any websites, that I make a whopping $90,000-$110,000 a year??? (Dang... taxes must be really high in this State cause I make maybe a third of that).

I would love to know where they got all the BOGUS information from that I just paid money for? This site is nothing more than a scam. I also looked up my Father to see if his information was correct and they only got his address right. They have no record of him marrying my Mother, that he had any children (he had 4), nor that he passed away on February 28th of last year. This site is an absolute disgrace!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Signed up for the trial period and the information that they reported was highly inaccurate and incomplete. I am sure this is to get you to invest further. Canceled the service within the time period specified and apparently it was not received and continued to charge me for additional months. Called to cancel which they did but no consideration on the previous month charges. This is where they make their money. Beware and do not give them your credit card information.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Why is Spokeo.com listing people's home addresses? I have a restraining order right now and would prefer my address not be known so that someone violent doesn't find me. This violation of privacy is disgraceful, disgusting, and downright dangerous. Although I believe in God, I am not Christian, which they listed me as. They also listed an incorrect salary under my name. I am now worried about an interview I have on Friday because if the manager decides to do a search about my name, it will paint me in a bad light. Spokeo.com should be boycotted along with any website that intrudes on the lives of others; I'm hoping they are eventually shut down forever. Thank you for reading this message.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I received an email from Spokeo today. They claim to be refunding $199.50 in addition to $19.95 that they claim to have previously refunded me, but that I never received. They will not tell me the email address associated with this mysterious account but have been charging my card for one month shy of a year. Perhaps they refunded him or her the money. Please be careful with this site. There has never been any activity on this account since it was set up, but I was charged for almost a year. I am very dismayed and scared by this. I am awaiting further response to my questions and I will be filing a complaint with the FTC in hopes of keeping this type of thing from occurring again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I used Spokeo to search a phone number one time, at a charge of $0.95, I was fairly thorough in making sure I wasn't enrolling in a subscription because I know how these sites usually work. Two months later I realize they've charged me $20 the past two months. I called them to request a refund, they told me they would only be able to refund me $15 of the $40 charged. I never once used the service between the initial search and now, so it would be ridiculous to charge me for a service I never used. I ended up asking to speak to someone higher up, and THEN they were able to refund the full amount, I never even ended up speaking to someone higher up than the initial customer service representative. Always go up the ladder! Never again will I use Spokeo, though.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I needed to find a single phone number for my aunt to notify her of my mother's death. They did give me the right number and I thought I was paying $19.95 for a single use. I realized 2 months later that they were charging my credit card $19.95 monthly when I had no idea I had signed up for a useless subscription. Don't use this service.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I was Googling my address when I spotted Spokeo. I noticed they had misinformation about my residence. I called and tried to get them to correct the information, but they continue to report two people living at my address who have never lived at my address. They said that they would and wait a couple of day, but nothing has happened. Spokeo simply picks up unsubstantiated information and publishes it. I feel violated. Those people could be identity thieves. I am the homeowner. Spokeo should have verified this information with me before reporting it. Spokeo should not be allowed to publish incorrect information that can put the public in possible danger. Those people could be criminals.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Got totally wrong info in the little but I was given. Was told I to purchase a PDF. Nothing was said about that prior. Tried to send customer care a message and was bounced all over. Still can't tell if they received it. Would advise everyone to stay away. Scam.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I've seen Spokeo.com pop up often while I was searching for genealogical info and I simply ignored it. Today it popped up while I was looking at something entirely different and showed information that I knew was totally incorrect. So I started checking using family members. An off-spring listed as living at this address -> not for the last 10 years. Mother-in-law living both here and out-of-state -> dead for over 8 years. Father-in-law living bot here -> never happened and dead 12 years. My wife and I are listed at a previous address -> 38 years ago. The list goes on and on. Why? Because they are using web bots (robots, aka web crawler or web spider) to search the web and collect data. Right or wrong. Real or fake. Doesn't matter. You can do better on your own and make better connections. If you think their "service" is worth paying for, you are prime for any of the Nigerian scams going around.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Did a search on an email ID and the site said it found X results and to pay for the "report." As soon as I coughed up the $ it went to a page saying there were zero results for the search. Zero. This company is a complete SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wasn't sure if a search I ran would give me real results if I paid for them so to check I ran a search for a fake email on a domain I own. I was told there were 12+ social network hits. This is FAKE!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I did a cell number search for .95. Nowhere was there anything stating I was subscribing to their service. Eight days later there was a $24.95 charge on my credit card for monthly service. I called the company to request a refund which was denied. They offered me a 40% refund. The info I received was not accurate. I found better info with a free google search. This company is charging for outdated info and for subscription service when there is nothing about being subscribed when you pay the 95 for a single search.

This is intentional and they make their money by scamming everyone that orders a single .95 search. Avoid Spokeo.com at all costs because you will get ripped off a week later by them adding a charge for searches that you will never use because they never send you any info or statement. They just throw in that charge and if you don’t check out the charges on your card you’ll never know they’ve done it. I imagine they make a lot of illegal money doing this because the average person won’t notice the reoccurring charge till 2-3 months later. When you call for a refund they refuse. I wish there was a way to shut this company down because nothing about this operation is legitimate.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I agreed to pay .95 cents for a one-time lookup but discovered they were charging me $29.95 a month for a monthly subscription I never agreed on. This is a scam site. Do not use their services unless you want to be charged monthly. Criminal!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a one time report for $1.95 on top of which they have added $0.95, which is OK. But then I was surprised to find out months later that I've been paying $19.95 every month for a subscription I did not authorize. There was not a single email or mail on this from them. I clearly remember there was nothing that mentioned it was a trial. The customer service was rude when discussing this. I asked him why there is no monthly statement for their service, which would have caught my eye way before if it was the case. He kept telling me the monthly statement is the charge I see in my credit card. This was absolutely ridiculous. So, stay away from this company altogether.

Spokeo.com expert review by Ben Mannes

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Spokeo.com Company Information