3.14/5

Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I signed up for a one-time search on Spokeo. I got notice they were going to bill me for a month after that, so I immediately went online to cancel. Got a confirmation that my account was canceled on 10/22, and I would not be billed again. I was billed the very next day, which showed up on my November 3rd statement. When I called Spokeo, they first said I had to pay that charge, but I would not be billed again. I said they told me I would not be billed again on 10/22, but I was billed again on 10/23. She argued, then said “Just a minute”. She came back and said my account was eligible for immediate cancellation so she would refund $9.98 of the $$24.95 they should not have billed me. She couldn’t explain anything further. In my book, they are crooked.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

If you are looking to identify the owner of a phone number it most likely is not going to happen. When you type in the phone number initially, you will get a response that says you must pay for the information. You will either be asked to sign up for a temporary free membership and pay .95 cents for that which will become a 24 dollar membership automatically if you do not cancel.

Next option is a one time payment of 1.95 for the information but you still have to make an account with them to sign in. I did the one time payment for one number and when I hit the enter button, they had no information on that number. In fact the information from free sites was more plentiful that the information from SPOKEO. They in essence had me pay a 1.95 fee to tell me that they had no information on the owner of the number. This service is pretty much a scam. I would stay away. I feel like an idiot for using it and I probably am.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

If I could they would get 0 stars. Spokeo.com charged my card 2 times each month. Do not give them your banking or card information. They charge whatever they want to your card. Please don't trust this company with your information.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I went to Spokeo to remove my information, due to personal safety concerns. The website is unclear—if you want to remove information about yourself, it makes it seem like you need to pay for a subscription. So I paid for a temporary subscription. Nowhere do they call out that they *auto renew* that subscription. So without any confirmation emails, a month later, $25 comes off my card. I reached out to their support to ask them to cancel and refund it, and they provided a $10 refund, keeping $15 as payment for no services rendered. I removed my information from competitor sites at the same time and Spokeo was by far the worst.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I will preface this review that I ultimately got a refund, however I would like others who might use the service to be warned of Spokeo's deception as part of their business plan. I used Spokeo for the first time paying $0.95 for a single search. At face value it appears as any other micro transaction service, pay as you go. However, what was not made clear was the addition of services beyond the "just $0.95" declaration on their search pages. About 7 days later I received a new charge to my bank account of $24.95, which unlike the first did not come with an emailed receipt. This sort of practice is not uncommon, unfortunately, and I contacted Spokeo right away to request a refund for their deceptive charges.

What I find most concerning is that the representative was prompt in offering a refund, but insisted I agreed to their terms, which I believe most customers might do unknowingly. However, the refund offer was for $9.95 only, as the representative stated it was the best they could due. Upon further protest I received a full refund for the service I did not request. I would like everyone to know that these are the practices of Spokeo, and that if enough protest is made, should you be duped into this transaction, you can get a full refund. Unfortunately, I find this practice so distasteful that I will never use their product again, no will I promote it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Today, I was reviewing my bank account. I saw a charge from this company Spokeo which I had never heard of but had seen a previous charge of $.95cents for early this month. I made the assumption it was probably the LLC of a gas station I went to. That wasn’t the case! Today I see a charge for $24.95. I google the company & see they are some type of background check company based in Cali. I have NEVER USED THIS COMPANY.

I called, Matthew was my CSR. I explained to him that these are fraudulent charges. He went on to ask me if the email associated with the account was mines & if I knew “TROY” the person who opened the account? NO! He asked me if I knew a “Natasha **” NO! This “TROY” used my card. How he got my info I don’t know, to look up this “Natasha **” person. Now, I demanded a refund and for them to take my card info out the system TODAY! I get a cancellation email but not one telling me of when my refund is due! And now am reading these reviews and I am appalled and frightened for my finances! Smdfh they better give me back my $24.95 in 3-5 business days or else I am filing fraud charges!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I used this site once to look into a phone number. Never wanted a subscription but I got one anyway and they charged me and caused an overdraft. Do not use this site if you are looking for a one time use.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

They gave me 2 accounts without my knowledge and did not let me cancel/opt out. I paid up to 35 times 29 usd a day. They are not refunding me. I had to finally block both cards. What is my best approach? I thought I had paid a few cents. Now 2000 usd. What shall I do? Calling them does not help.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Very hard to navigate after giving my credit card info for 98 cent intro to find my ex who owes over $40,000 in back child support. Every "find" they have asks for more money to "open". Had no more info than I already knew like his mother's name or that I used to be married to him - duh! Took me half an hour to unsubscribe though. Now after reading other reviews I fear I may still get charged more fees! Don't do it! It is a total scam!!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I used Spokeo several months ago to look up a phone number from a Robo call and signed up for a one-month subscription. Since then, I've been charged $29.95 for the service and have not obtained any more information than I would had I just Googled phone numbers. Today, I tried to find the option to cancel my subscription on the Spokeo website and could not find that option. I ended up calling the Spokeo customer service line, only to encounter a rep who was clearly under orders to prevent cancellations. Despite her evasive tactics, I was able to cancel and my request for refund of one month's fee was honored.

Spokeo.com expert review by Ben Mannes

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Spokeo.com Company Information