1.79/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?

Spokeo.com

Spokeo was founded in 2006 as a social network aggregator and has since grown into a leading people search engine. Whether you're searching for family members, classmates or former military friends, Spokeo makes it easy to reunite and connect with anyone. Spokeo can also help you discover new neighborhoods, research potential dates and even browse celebrity profiles. The site's reliable data and easy-to-use helps more than 18 million visitors with their search needs per month. Visit our website today!

Since its launch in 2006, Spokeo has been honored for its tremendous success and growth. The company has been included on the two most recent lists of the Los Angeles Business Journal's Fastest Growing Private Companies and recently was featured on the Prestigious Inc. 5000 List. Earlier in 2015, Spokeo was named to Forbes Magazine's America's Most Promising Companies list. Spokeo Co-Founder and CEO, Harrison Tang, has been lauded for his outstanding leadership and entrepreneurial spirit as one of the TechWeek 100 and most recently as a 2015 recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year(r) Award for Greater Los Angeles.

View More View More

616 Spokeo.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2018

I contacted customer service for Spokeo.com because this site provides caller ID services to several cell phones. My business phone number comes up on those caller IDs as a former owner. I asked if there is a way that they could update their database with the correct information as this has been ongoing for months. They advised me that they could not update my phone number with the correct information. I then asked if I was a customer and paid them to provide current information on that phone number what information would they provide. The number can easily be verified as my business number through the white pages or a simple Google search.

They replied that they would provide the outdated information that they have on file and I would then be responsible for paying for their service of providing me with the most current information that they have (even though it is out of date and I could obtain the correct information for free on my own). I highly advise that you do not waste your money doing business with this rip off company that has zero customer service. All of the data that they provide for a fee is easily accessible for free through a Google search. Also, their database is not kept current, so in reality you would be giving them free money to pay for incorrect information. This company has no concern for its customers and it has outgrown its use by robbing its customers of their hard earned money.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Use this service... beware. They have a very straightforward policy. When you use a trial subscription, you consent to an auto pay policy. If you fail to cancel this subscription you will be billed until doing so. Like others who have commented. They will resolve some billing issues if you take the time to call and challenge them. Here is my warning: if you fail to spot these charges in a timely way you will be responsible and they will not reverse charges. They will only reverse charges which are contestable with the assistance of your credit card company or bank. Visa for example will not contest charges over 120 days. In other words if your payment method will help contest they will cooperate. If you have no assistance from your financial partner you will be politely told to shove it.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2018

My personal information is posted to Spokeo and I would like it removed. I followed the instructions under Privacy, which was to copy and paste the URL of my profile to the page, enter my email address (which made me apprehensive) and click that I wasn't a robot to complete. The process will not complete. It continues to refresh the "are you a robot" question. I would like my information remove immediately and indefinitely.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Joined Spokeo for 1 reason, to get my girlfriend's address in order to send her flowers for Valentine's Day without me having to ask her what the address is (complete spoiler). Looked up her name on Google and Spokeo was the first site that popped up. Said her info was updated that very day and asked me for $0.97 to provide me with what I required, so ok, was worth it. Gave them the requested money, next page requires a monthly membership that is on me to cancel, but it gets better. Above I mentioned it said her info was updated the day I asked, it was at least two years old. I know this for two reasons. 1) I helped her move into the apartment she's at (who looks at addresses then), 2) the deal breaker...called to complain and they told me it was outdated by 2 yrs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Warning to everyone who is looking to do a background check on someone. Make sure you check the website fully because I used a website called Spokeo. I was charged money to get information about someone and 95% of the information was wrong. So I called customer service for them to say I could not get my money back and in my case I feel when a company portray himself as being able giving accurate information and they are not able to do that they should refund the money or not portray themselves as being able to give accurate information. But to be clear this is only my personal experience and my feelings and I’m not saying to not use this site. Again I’m only saying to check out any website 100% that charges money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo.com?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I paid .95 cents for the 7 day trial. If you don't cancel by 7 days, a $19.95 charge is placed on your account. I cancelled via email with my account number and name. They sent an additional email requesting more information... last 4 digits of card used, email address (duh, it was on my email), name associate with account (duh, it was on my email). In the meantime, the 7 days went by and the charge was put on my account for $19.95.

When I CALLED to dispute and ask for charges to be reversed, he said he could only credit me $7.95. I said NO, give me someone with more authority and he came back and said the full amount would be reversed in 7-10 days. LESSON LEARNED: THEY ARE ALL ABOUT SNEAKING THE MONTHLY CHARGE IN. IF YOU ARE NOT ON TOP OF THIS, THEY BENEFIT. I told the guy helping me, Matthew, how deceitful the service is and how they need to change. He claimed that my husband's name was on the account, but I used my debit card with my name, my email. Not my problem they converted the names.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Spokeo Free Reverse Cell Phone Search - There is nothing free about this site. Should be illegal to mislead people the way this company advertises. Oh wait... it is right? How do these people get by with this?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Paid .95 to look who had call me, I knew it was a local number but they gave me someone in NC. So I cancel my membership & went to white pages & paid $1 and got the right info. So Spokeo is not worth it!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I looked up myself and my family members here just to see how accurate it was. Almost nothing was correct. They couldn't even get my birthday right, which is very public on my social media profiles. They had several wrong numbers and random addresses listed, they put people I have never even heard of as my relatives, and couldn't find any of my social media profiles even though I have a pretty uncommon name and several public profiles. Stupid service and a ripoff. What the hell are they using to verify this crap?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I searched myself and almost 80% of everything they had for me was untrue. I have never lived in California, never heard of some of the supposed family members, don't have any kind of criminal record, phone numbers were incorrect, etc. When I called to get it removed and my "membership" canceled, I got Shea on the line. She was very rude, just wanted to get me off the phone. Now when I want to complain, I have to set up an "account" with more of my personal information. Spokeo is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I in recent months use the service they advertise that charges would only be $12 a month but then they turn around and charge you 40 to $50 for one search. I then called the company and cancelled my subscription to their service and they told me that I had one year to use the service but they did not tell me about the reoccurring charges that I would be receiving without my permission so of course they charged my account again and again taking money out without my consent. I cancelled again and told them not to be taking money out of my account anymore. Hopefully they will listen and this does not occur again because then I will have to go to the bank and be issued a new card just to get these people off my back. Spokeo is just a rip-off and a scam. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017 Spokeo website is selling people's information that 'maybe' had been obtained without any permission or disclosures, and try to overcharge users with any remorse. My experience, they try to change my plan from $24.95 for 4000 searches to 5000 records at $495 per month. Besides Their platform is a joke. Don't keep records from searches done. GO FIGURE, obsolete data, bad emails, phone numbers that don't work. Also you can't find anywhere on your account your payment history. The customer service is as bad as their website, including David 'the supervisor'. Once I started complaining he sent me to several operators.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

The information on this site is completely inaccurate. I have spoken to a guy named Joosh about the information they have and how it was obtained. Completely untrue. The information, addresses etc. were NEVER used by the people they had them attached to. Some they intermixed and had people faces attached to names that were NOT even them. This site is NOTHING more than a SCAM. Let's not even get into the charging. It say $1.00 then charge you $30.00. Someone needs to investigate and shut down this site. It's a SCAM!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I bought one lookup for around $1. Now they are charging me $25.99 every 6 months without my permission. I will need to contact my bank and I wrote Spokeo an email telling them to return the money. We will see???

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Tested the site by looking up my husband, it gave me his correct name, age, former addresses, gave me a couple of emails, BUT TWO that I know for a fact is used by him quite often and has for years, never showed up. The most recent information was 2009??? And they say "full report," but you click on an email... And it's another "full report" for 9.99?? Come on. Very misleading. Biggest waste of 20 bucks. The information was sent to another email.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have written several times requesting that my mother be removed from Spokeo.com and provided a copy of her death certification, but now there is NO address that I can write and mail the death certificate to as well as trying to get my name removed again. If this continues Spokeo.com will hear from my lawyer. I never gave permission nor did my mother when she was living to have our names published. This is why I am getting mail in her name.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I searched for one person and I know all details about him - address, age, emails, telephone. Spokeo didn't even find his Facebook profile - and I know he has one. Because we are friends on Facebook. When I tried to immediately cancel the subscription I was charged for the full 6 months! They make it look like the fee is charged monthly, yet they take all 6 months at once. I don't want access for 6 months because they are useless - I want my money back!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My search was not satisfactory. I entered the information about the person I was searching for. I did not have the correct age. The person was located. I decided not to pursue the search. I called the toll free number. The representative assured me that no additional charged would be drafted from my credit card. He explained I would be charged the minimum fee.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Was very easy to use & find person's number for a job contact. Spokeo provided the correct information. Also if there is a question on your account you can call their contact number and talk to a real person to rectify the problem. Response is quick, painless and courteous.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

A friend wanted to get a hold of a friend from grade school. I used your product when it had an introductory offer of $ 1.00. Since you had so many phone number, I could to him. After calling several of the numbers, he did reach his friend and was very pleased.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I needed to try and find some classmates for a high school reunion, so I signed up for the one-month access subscription to Spokeo. I was able to find some useful information, and Spokeo helped me locate contact information for quite a few people. However, more than half of the e-mail addresses listed were invalid or closed accounts. The main reason for my dissatisfaction with Spokeo was that they limit your monthly searches to 100. I don't recall seeing that anywhere when I committed to pay for a month of access. Apparently you can pay more for a higher level of subscription with higher search limits, but again, that information was not readily displayed when I signed up. When I contacted Spokeo Customer Service about this, they were kind enough to reset my monthly limit so I could do a few more searches.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I volunteer for my local Police Department because they are family due to them actually saving my life in 2016 I'm permanently damaged. I've never thought there was an Actual Site that does email or person research. I don't have my order number I don't know what I need with it. I'm not going to continue using this website, so please cancel my subscription please only because I found out my boyfriend who's an actual Cop wants to help me and needs my help he's got a Computer and he doesn't other everything on people search so please cancel my subscription Please.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Read the fine print carefully. You can pay for one search, but then you are automatically enrolled for a $20 per month subscription unless YOU cancel it. Buyer beware! Also, information is not always accurate. We were researching a phone number that is listed under our names. Any carrier listed did not own that account. Still do not know where that phone number came from, but we are pretty sure we are not paying for it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Not only did I not get up-to-date info but I paid for a 30 day service: $13.95. This is prominently listed in their offers. It is only at the end of their terms does it say this is a recurring charge. I trust this company as far as I can throw them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I used Spokeo once in 2013 and signed up for what I believed was a three month account at $14.95. It turns out that the billing structure is they bill you this amount every three months indefinitely. This company is absolutely vile and made no offer of restitution. Their business model is to rope consumers into these ongoing charges. The search information isn't even correct anyway.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I created a Spokeo account not knowing it would immediately charge my credit card. I cancelled my account immediately after I realized it couldn't provide the service I needed. I called to get a refund the same day and was told it is a prepaid service and I can't get a refund after I cancelled the same day. It's not worth the money and the site gives old info. I definitely would not recommend.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

When trying to locate a friend in hopes that we could re-unite my main problem is how old is the information. I still have not connected with my friend since I am not sure where to send the letter since she has different mailing address.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I was refunded money back on my account because I had not used the service the entire month. My credit card was charged and I thought I had previously discontinued the service. It was handled in a very professional way and charged back to my credit card. Thanks so much for not hassling.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

On the website it states 4.95 a month for 6 month trial but it doesn't tell you that they charge upfront for the 6 months. I couldn't search anything because the website kept taking me to the home screen and saying the site was unavailable. They debited my card 29.60 so I called ten mins later to inquire about and the guy was like, "We charge upfront but it says monthly cause that would be the monthly breakdown" so I told him to cancel the subscription and he did but he said they could only refund me 11.88. He had no answer for why he could only refund me 11.88 even though I told I wasn't even able to use the site and the site didn't state upfront charge for the 6 month membership. I definitely wish I had searched this company before trying to use it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Thanks to the tools provided to research unknown phone numbers on my child's cell phone. I was able to intercept a bad situation when I could not locate my child. He ended up 30 miles away waiting to meet with a 46 year old stranger. You're the best.

Spokeo.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

• Best for: parents, individuals and those using online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs