2. Background Check Companies
Spokeo

Spokeo

3.1/5 (795 ratings)

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information

Cons

• Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Bottom Line

Spokeo is a paid people search engine that provides users with public information. Users can search names, phone numbers, emails and more to find information on a person. Spokeo compiles the public data into a profile.

Top Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Verified

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel,...

Verified

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. … Although I tried a few ot...

What is Spokeo?

Spokeo uses more than 12 billion records found in thousands of databases to aggregate information and create personal profiles. With a standard membership, users can search for people by name, phone number, email or address. With these searches, users can find information such as:

• Age
  • Relatives
  • Marital status
  • Addresses
  • Contact information
  • Education level
  • Public social media and dating site profiles
  • Public photos and videos
  • Blog entries

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the possible information users can find, but it shows the variety of available information. Users can find contact information for loved ones, information on scam callers or the identity of someone harassing them. However, some reviewers note the information Spokeo displays may be out-of-date or inaccurate, so it's important to check your findings.

Many people use Spokeo to find lost family members or identify people trying to scam or harass them. The site adheres to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and its terms of use state that the site is not to be used for employee or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purposes covered by the FCRA.

Spokeo price

A one-time name report (which includes address, email, phone number, location history, marital status and family) from Spokeo costs only 95 cents if you opt into a free seven-day trial membership. After the trial, it bills you at $24.95 per month if you don't cancel. Alternatively, you can make a one-time purchase without the trial for $1.95.

You can also choose to try the service for a month, but Spokeo offers better deals for longer membership subscriptions. If you click its sign up button, you’re shown two membership tiers:

• $19.95 per month for a three-month recurring membership
  • $24.95 per month for a one-month recurring membership

Spokeo states there may be additional fees for a full background check that includes court and historical records.

Spokeo FAQ

What can Spokeo tell you?
Spokeo shows you public data about the people you search for. This includes contact information, social media, court records and historical records.
How do I delete my Spokeo account?
Closing your account is a simple process. If you want it completely deleted, however, you must contact the Contact Care team.
How much does Spokeo cost?
Certain searches can be done on Spokeo for free. Access to more information costs between 95 cents to $24.95, depending on your membership commitment choice.
Is Spokeo safe?
Spokeo is committed to being a safe way to learn about the people around you. It keeps your personal data, payment details and account information secure.

Is Spokeo legit?

Spokeo is a legitimate information gathering service. The company takes the legwork out of finding public information by gathering it all into a neat profile. For those who use it, Spokeo is a safe and confidential way to find information. Whether you’re trying to reconnect with someone, check on someone you’re meeting for the first time or combat scammers, Spokeo can help.

Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I rather liked this site. Most of the information I needed was available. Occasionally the information was incorrect or I could not find the person / business I was looking for. But, hey, who is perfect. I would like to see a pricing schedule for getting reports by the report of a set of reports. This would make this even more useful. I only need to search this type of information occasionally. So having to pay a monthly fee is not reasonable for me. Other than that this is a useful site and fairly easy to navigate. I'd use it again.

Original review: July 8, 2020

During two recent with customer service, I was greatly help. Too complicated to explain: which speaks, in and of itself, to the terrific skills of the customer service staff to be able to resolve my issues. Thanks, again. I'm not providing any more information; since I don't have the time.---jc**

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I appreciate this company working with me to provide an experience above my expectations for a dispute clarification that I felt needed to be resolved. They went well above and beyond my expectations to treat me more than fair and provide a win, win situation in which I would not hesitate to use their services again, or refer others to their business. It did take some communication, but they were willing to work with me, and that is what I have come to expect from a solid company.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I needed to find out some contact information about a person. The steps were easy to follow and my contact with the office was very professional. It was easy to sign up and also easy to discontinue if I wanted to.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Blocking unwanted calls. Spokeo serves the purpose that I subscribed to it for. I do not answer my phone if I do not recognize the number, so that sets me up to possibly miss important calls. With Spokeo, I can research the number after the call. Spokeo lets me know if the call is political, sales, robocall, or no name calls so that I feel safe in blocking those numbers from my phone.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Finally, Spokeo made a refund for the monthly subscription and sent an email about. Anyhow I found that they should tell that the report is empty before they charge you for it.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I bought a single report for 0,95 USD. I had to pay to see they found no records about my query. Later they are trying charge 24,95 USD in my bank account. Can it be named as an scam? I will report this web for bad practices and scamming.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I got a text from a strange email account and was trying to do a reverse email search. Spokeo said they had results but that I had to pay for them. After paying with my credit card I found that there were actually NO results! Very dishonest and misleading; such behavior should be illegal! They did refund my money but they cannot refund my wasted time.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I used this website to find my family when, I was sold on the 95 cent charge. They stated that after a month I would be charged a fee after my trial expired... I used it a week ago. I literally only have 10 dollars left on my bank account. I do understand that this year has been detrimental to the economy, I'm feeling it in my stomach myself... But that doesn't justify taking money out of the account without asking first. I barely make a living. This joke of a company seems to do this to a lot of people. I had to buy a new phone and already owe money asking it from a friend. Never use this website, I'm surprised that with its reputation, it is still up. I would rate this zero stars or NEGATIVE FIVE STARS if I could.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I signed up for a Spokeo free trial which I cancelled after an additional two months, using their "Cancel any time" offer. They continued to bill me which I didn't catch right away. Two months later I did catch the billing. I called Spokeo and the nice lady said she would cancel it. I ate the two additional months - my mistake. It is now November and Spokeo has continued to Bill me - they cannot find out why. I have called and called. I have had my credit card block them. That, too, is not happening. I called Spokeo yesterday once again and they cannot find me in their billing list and do not see where I am being billed. I now have to complete a dispute set of papers from my credit card company for each month that Spokeo charges are being disputed! PLEASE DON'T GET INTO THE MESS I AM IN! Don't go with SPOKEO!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I took my phone number in and it said a different location and it said a different Carrier. It said AT&T. I have Verizon. I'm in Alabama. It said I'm in Camillus NY. Wouldn't want to pay for lies. It is a scam.

Spokeo Company Information