2. Background Check Companies

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.79/5

Spokeo is a search engine that helps people find each other and lets businesses vet potential employees. This company only uses information from public sources and public social media posts. Spokeo also has its Enterprise service, which is designed for business use. Spokeo does not share or provide financial information.

Spokeo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?

Original review: July 8, 2020

During two recent with customer service, I was greatly help. Too complicated to explain: which speaks, in and of itself, to the terrific skills of the customer service staff to be able to resolve my issues. Thanks, again. I'm not providing any more information; since I don't have the time.---jc**

Original review: June 30, 2020

I appreciate this company working with me to provide an experience above my expectations for a dispute clarification that I felt needed to be resolved. They went well above and beyond my expectations to treat me more than fair and provide a win, win situation in which I would not hesitate to use their services again, or refer others to their business. It did take some communication, but they were willing to work with me, and that is what I have come to expect from a solid company.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I needed to find out some contact information about a person. The steps were easy to follow and my contact with the office was very professional. It was easy to sign up and also easy to discontinue if I wanted to.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Blocking unwanted calls. Spokeo serves the purpose that I subscribed to it for. I do not answer my phone if I do not recognize the number, so that sets me up to possibly miss important calls. With Spokeo, I can research the number after the call. Spokeo lets me know if the call is political, sales, robocall, or no name calls so that I feel safe in blocking those numbers from my phone.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I thought Spokeo would be a good site, however, I am unable to get information on anyone I enter. They cannot locate the person or come up with totally invalid info, nothing seems to work or is incorrect. I even give correct birthdates or area info & even that doesn't help, I am at a loss, I thought they were a well established site but no matter what I do or enter it doesn't seem to matter. I did try communicating with customer service and they did respond right away & were very nice & tried to be helpful but their suggestion of clearing my cache did not work either. I am going to try to cancel as it is not worth the effort. I do feel bad about the whole experience & probably should have did some research into this site initially, but as I said I thought they've been around for so long that they indeed were very reputable & I wouldn't have a problem. Live & learn I guess, hopefully I am able to cancel without any trouble.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I was charged 20 bucks for subscription that I sign up for as I only wanted one time fee of 0.92 and I unknowingly subscribed. My bank rejected their payment and I had to get a new card. And I was attempted to be charged by them for subscription on my new card that they didn't even have on file !!!! Be careful! Do not use them. I went to login and cancel the subscription I never approved of and saw the old card was on file so how were they able to get my new card info? Something is off about this company. Stay away. It is inconvenient to have to get a new card third time. I'm just really mad at this point. I will be aware everyone to make sure this doesn't happen to them.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I looked up my father's name to confirm my memory of what year he died in and his name came up on Spokeo. According to this site, he was still alive. He was born in 1913 and died in 1998. The site listed him with a middle initial, which he didn't have, and listed people related to him... my brother, my dad's second wife (they were divorced) and my brother's wife and children. It did not list me or my daughter or my dad's first wife, my mother, who is deceased. Nor did it list my dad's two brothers. Incredible amount misinformation. I guess they don't do fact checking at all. I asked them to remove my dad's name and they agreed to, actually misspelling his name in their response. If you're looking for real information about someone, you'd have better luck looking in a tree trunk.

Original review: March 30, 2020

My brother was diagnosed with lung cancer and I was desperately trying to reach his best friend from a while ago. Somehow I landed on Spokeo.com site and was told for $0.98 I could get the number. Then they hit me with another $24.95 in a week and wouldn't refund the money. I only looked for the one number. Just a scam. The number I received wasn't even any good.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Stay away from Spokeo. I had recently used a potential e-mail address to find a long lost family member. Upon searching for this e-mail address, Spokeo shows that there are search results available; while prompting to select a payment option on the same page. I selected the 1 month billing plan for 13.95; As soon as the transaction went through, Spokeo then shows zero results available for the same e-mail I typed in earlier. This is extremely deceptive and the epitome of bait and switch tactics. I then called to cancel my service and request a full refund. The customer service representative told me that she can only refund me 5.85 and kept asking if there was anything else she can help me with.

It was apparent this CSR did not care so I took the refund and attempted to call again in order to press for the remaining amount. The next CSR was extremely helpful and got me the full refund. To summarize, do not purchase any services from Spokeo. Also, don't be afraid to keep trying different CSR if the first one doesn't seem to help or care that much. You've been warned!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching a person and given a trial for $.85. When I went to cancel it a few minutes later they wanted $37.95 to cancel it. As soon as it is posted to my credit card I will put the charge in disputes. I also put a review on their website.

Spokeo author review by Ben Mannes

Spokeo operates as a search engine for people. Individuals and companies can use Spokeo and Spokeo Enterprise to find and validate people, including potential employees. They do not provide financial information, so users cannot use Spokeo to screen individuals for credit checks or insurance.

• Commitment to reuniting people: The site touts its commitment to reuniting people who have lost track of one another, and there are many success stories from people who have used the site to find someone they haven't seen in a long time.

• Easy-to-understand reports: The company provides clean, minimal results reports, which are easy to read and understand.

• Various payment plan options: Spokeo offers many different payment plan options, allowing customers to pay only for the services they need and use.

• All public data: Spokeo only uses information from public sources and anything on social media that has not been designated as private.

• Growing: Spokeo is regularly growing and expanding, attracting new clients and hiring new employees, which is a strong indication of Spokeo's success.

• Spokeo Enterprise: Businesses looking for public records can utilize Spokeo Enterprise. This service delivers instant search results that can be shared with an entire team.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Spokeo Company Information