Spokeo

Spokeo

3.1/5 (814 ratings)

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information

Cons

• Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Bottom Line

Spokeo is a paid people search engine that provides users with public information. Users can search names, phone numbers, emails and more to find information on a person. Spokeo compiles the public data into a profile.

Top Spokeo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Verified

I used this service to reverse a phone number. It was easy to use, gave me the information in a timely manner. I was happy with the whole experience. Even when I called to cancel,...

Verified

I was interested in contacting property owner that had moved out of state to see if the owner would consider selling the property that was left vacant. … Although I tried a few ot...

What is Spokeo?

Spokeo uses more than 12 billion records found in thousands of databases to aggregate information and create personal profiles. With a standard membership, users can search for people by name, phone number, email or address. With these searches, users can find information such as:

• Age
  • Relatives
  • Marital status
  • Addresses
  • Contact information
  • Education level
  • Public social media and dating site profiles
  • Public photos and videos
  • Blog entries

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the possible information users can find, but it shows the variety of available information. Users can find contact information for loved ones, information on scam callers or the identity of someone harassing them. However, some reviewers note the information Spokeo displays may be out-of-date or inaccurate, so it's important to check your findings.

Many people use Spokeo to find lost family members or identify people trying to scam or harass them. The site adheres to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and its terms of use state that the site is not to be used for employee or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purposes covered by the FCRA.

Spokeo price

A one-time name report (which includes address, email, phone number, location history, marital status and family) from Spokeo costs only 95 cents if you opt into a free seven-day trial membership. After the trial, it bills you at $24.95 per month if you don't cancel. Alternatively, you can make a one-time purchase without the trial for $1.95.

You can also choose to try the service for a month, but Spokeo offers better deals for longer membership subscriptions. If you click its sign up button, you’re shown two membership tiers:

• $19.95 per month for a three-month recurring membership
  • $24.95 per month for a one-month recurring membership

Spokeo states there may be additional fees for a full background check that includes court and historical records.

Spokeo FAQ

What can Spokeo tell you?
Spokeo shows you public data about the people you search for. This includes contact information, social media, court records and historical records.
How do I delete my Spokeo account?
Closing your account is a simple process. If you want it completely deleted, however, you must contact the Contact Care team.
How much does Spokeo cost?
Certain searches can be done on Spokeo for free. Access to more information costs between 95 cents to $24.95, depending on your membership commitment choice.
Is Spokeo safe?
Spokeo is committed to being a safe way to learn about the people around you. It keeps your personal data, payment details and account information secure.

Is Spokeo legit?

Spokeo is a legitimate information gathering service. The company takes the legwork out of finding public information by gathering it all into a neat profile. For those who use it, Spokeo is a safe and confidential way to find information. Whether you’re trying to reconnect with someone, check on someone you’re meeting for the first time or combat scammers, Spokeo can help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Used their service to obtain information about one person on a one-time basis at $.95, but then they started a monthly membership at a cost of $24.95, charged to my credit card. When I called to protest this action, they would only offer a refund of less than $10. Don't use this company -- once they have your credit card information, they will apparently charge you however they want to and they are not friendly about adjusting the unwarranted charges.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I took advantage of their $0.95 trial offer to check a phone number that I was concerned was involved with Medicare fraud. Apparently hidden somewhere on one

of their web pages was a notification that I was also being signed up for a continuing subscription service. I didn't find this out until I got my credit card bill and was charged $24.95 instead of the expected $0.95 (this was for the original lookup plus the first month with 7 days "free"). Very deceptive and a completely useless service for anyone that needs to look up a single telephone number.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Spokeo like other reverse lookup companies, does what it says it does. Great. But how about the intentions of this company? Well I can promise you they aren't good. How do I know this? By using both spokeo and BeenVerified, I can share my experience to prove it. First, and most important, is how these companies look out for their consumers. Spokeo, has a trial, you get no email about the purchase, and no followup emails when charged full price. Beenverified, is the polar opposite.

The second you make a trial purchase, you are emailed, and told how to stop the trial from extending into the full service. This is good for 2 reasons. 1, a paper trail, 2, a second reminder to the customer "hey, did you miss that impossibly hard to see small print about us charging you a whole bunch if you forget to cancel? Well here is an email telling you again so you can't say we didn't properly warn you.". That's how beenverified goes about things. Professionally, with integrity. This is not how spokeo does business. You just get charged, and they are more than happy to keep milking you, as that's the reason this company was created. To use the trial model, but maliciously. Sue these people, someone. We need better verification from irresponsible companies like this.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Perhaps I should be reviewing ConsumerAffairs. Who pays their expenses. ANYWAY, try as I might, I couldn't find a one-time charge option for reverse number lookup, despite the statement by Consumer Affairs that a one-time lookup was available for $1.95. The last thing I need is another subscription for a service that I use less often than once a year. Thanks for nothing, Spokeo and Consumer Affairs.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was trying to find a reverse email lookup of an old friend's email that no longer was active. I paid for a one-time lookup on Spokeo for that email. A month later, I see I've been charged $24 and setup on a monthly subscription! I never wanted a subscription! Just wanted that one-time lookup, which by the way proved unhelpful. Today I tried to cancel and get refunded for that subscription. Spokeo wouldn't refund. Very deceptive practice by this company. Must be lucrative for them to sucker people though. Beware if you use them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

This company provides a service, but they are also as SCAM. I had a phone number I wanted to look up so I paid the $0.95 fee to find this out. I got back a city only with no name. I considered canceling this 95 cent payment, but thought I'd rather not waste 5 minutes to get back 95 cents. Lo and behold, seven days later I get a $24.95 charge on my credit card. I call the company immediately and said "I didn't authorize this" and the rep said "OK, I can cancel your account as of today". My response was "I don't remember authorizing this and I want a full refund". The rep said "OK." Ten minutes later I get a $9.95 refund, so they are hoping I'll take the $15 hit and not bother with this. So, I called my credit card company and reported the charge as fraudulent. A minute of curiosity over a phone number will now take me more than an hour. Stay away from SPOKEO due to dishonest business practices and poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

In July 2021 I used Spokeo's "offer" for a single search for only $.95. I must have missed the fine print because I certainly was not aware that I was ordering their $24.95 per month service to be charged to my PayPal account in perpetuity. Unfortunately I had a problem with my PayPal password and failed to check my monthly statements until January. I then discovered the ongoing charges. I immediately contacted Spokeo customer service and was told I needed to have cancelled the service within 30 days of signing up. After much discussion the representative agreed to cancel the service and refund half of my money. So I filed a dispute with PayPal and they said I had signed up for the ongoing service and had to pay for it. Spokeo uses misleading and unethical marketing to get people to unknowingly sign up. They know a number of folks do not check their monthly statements very close. It is a theft by deceit scheme.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I got a spam call and was looking up the number and the caller ID online. Several hits in a Google search seemed really bogus (like they were just clickbait). Turned out that the "so called" text on the sites doesn't actually appear: all there is on the sites is a link to Spokeo. I contacted Spokeo and some guy in the chat window couldn't understand why I was upset and WHY I wouldn't want to sign up for their (PAY) service. So I said "I want you to put your boss on AND maybe someone from your legal department...." And told the idiot (AND his supervisor) to ask their legal department for the legal definition of the phrase "bait and switch". Which IMHO, is clearly what is going on.

As a sop, the supervisor looked up the number in their database and gave me information that I could have gotten pretty much anywhere: that it was a landline that was issued by Verizon Business. (Of course the sites listed OTHER companies as the carrier, but I didn't bother to say that....) But of course the REAL issue is the bogus front sites.

Maybe the reason Spokeo wants you to sign up and give them your credit card number is to pay the fees for all the bogus sites. Of which I sent their Legal Department a couple of screenshots. One with the Google search results for the one site that (allegedly) had the number AND caller ID and the other being what is ACTUALLY found when you click on the link: an ad link for Spokeo at the top of the page; and a whole lot of whitespace beneath it.... We'll see how soon Spokeo's legal dept. gets back to me. And the email to them was sent from the address I use as a spam filter.... Oh, and just for the record I DON'T agree to YOUR website sending me "marketing communications" which is why YOU also were given the spam filter email....

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Trying to locate old friend, all I wanted was a phone number. Signed up for .95 trial offer. Received 3 phone numbers, non valid. Told co. I was not satisfied, was waiting for co. to contact me so went 2 days beyond trial offer (7 days). They billed me for full month's subscription. "Information guaranteed" **. Do not use this company.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Wanted to look up a phone number for a person who texted me. I received no information beyond that a normal web lookup on the area code could provide. And their website tricked me into spending $24.95 for absolutely nothing. In addition it was a very complex process with many screens to cancel the subscription. Steer clear!

Spokeo Company Information