Learn More

2. Background Check Companies

3.6/5 (56 ratings)

About Intelius

Intelius delivers information about individuals and their connections to others using public records from government and professional entities. With a monthly subscription, users can access unlimited records and instant search results. Intelius cannot be used to screen tenants or employees.

Pros

• Mobile app for Apple and Android
  • Unlimited reports
  • Can pay monthly or per search

Cons

• Cannot buy one-time service
  • Auto-bills after 30 days

Bottom Line

Intelius is a search service that provides information about people by compiling information found in public databases. It can be used for personal-use background checks.

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I needed to do a reverse lookup of a phone number that unexpectedly showed up in the list of authorization phones in my BofA account. Found Intellius and was happy to pay a dollar for a lookup. To my astonishment, after I paid, they asked me to pay another 4 bucks as a download charge. That's fraud. I opted not to download the "report". On top of it, I discovered a charge for "membership" that I did not sign up for. That's fraud, too. Stay away.

Intelius response

We appreciate your feedback regarding our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

On 7/30/2021 I contacted Intelius Customer Service to resolve a membership/subscription problem. "Tenetia" assisted me and was most helpful and resourceful. Using her thorough knowledge of your network and plans she was able to resolve my issue and promptly restore my access. She also presented a subscription plan that slightly reduced my monthly rate.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I was trying to find my grandson. I found it very interesting the many topics you ran through. Most of the listing about him I recognize, he had moved a lot and I had no idea where he was. Obviously, he does not keep in contact. I sent a letter to the last known address you gave me, no response. (I think he got the letter.) I had received a large check that came here for him, (he lived here six years), but my letter got no response so I returned the check today. Thanks for the information you supplied. If I ever want to find someone I will use you again.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I get all the information I need in my law practice to locate witnesses, answer discovery questions, find heirs, and the like. I am very pleased with Intelius. Using the website is not a problem, even though the app was nice. Only once in recent weeks was there a person (an heir) I could not find using her name, although when I got a phone number from her aunt, I was able to find this person. I would recommend this program to every lawyer.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Marisa was very helpful when I spoke to her about closing my account. When I had to navigate the various menus on the website, she was patient and respectful. While I do not see myself using Intelius again soon, my experience with the rep makes it more likely I will return. Need more folks like her!

Original review: July 6, 2021

I haven't been able to access my reports for the last 2 days. I can reach the site but it never stops processing my request to see my reports. Looks like an infinite loop to me. Please get back to me because at this point I'm paying you for nothing.

Intelius response

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We’re sorry to hear that you experienced technical issues during your search, but it does look like the issue has been resolved and you've been able to complete searches on your account since then. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do.

Intelius Support

Original review: July 1, 2021

If you need background infos to find a classmate or find calling parties where you have only the phone # it is very useful. Thanks - Moreover you also See due to the phrase: You should know the enemy.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I better not get charged for after the trial, just numerous reasons but first and foremost that you wouldn’t get back with me after me writing you saying that I could not get into my account… Like I didn’t even get to use any of the trial so most definitely I’m not paying any charges. I tried to cancel but I can’t cancel if I can’t sign on.. Extremely disappointed you.

Hi Jennifer,

We’re happy to clarify our billing system for you. Our users must check a box authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described in our Terms of Use before signing up. This does include automatic renewal of any membership that is not cancelled before reaching the end of trial period.

A senior member of our team will be reaching out to ensure that any of your concerns regarding your specific membership renewal are resolved.

Original review: June 30, 2021

For no reason I experienced difficulty signing in to Intelius. The young lady worked with me and we discovered I had turned on VPN in Norton which proved to be the problem. Well done Intelius, well done young lady!

Original review: June 16, 2021

First, let me say Marco is a great asset to your company. I was frustrated about a charge to my account that I didn’t authorized and Marco was very knowledgeable & understanding in helping correct this problem. Honestly, I have never been on a call where I felt listened too and made to feel comfortable speak about a problem. Marco, keep that same attitude because I was having a bad day and you definitely made it much brighter. Thank you again and many blessings to you!

Intelius Company Information