2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

Intelius Gallery (3)

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: May 2, 2020

Hidden fees everywhere!!!! You must read everything before buying this or you will be sorry. First, Intelius site is about the worst I've seen. You make the purchase and then they charge you for everything you look at. Please don't forget to set the auto renewal to off or you will be charged again. I thought they only charged month to month, I was wrong. Please go elsewhere.

Intelius response
We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: April 11, 2020

BUYER BEWARE. Purchased "Background Check" $39.95, then was offered "Property & Neighborhood Report" $14.95 to give me additional information about person I was doing background search on. It does not. Bought both. Message on screen says reports are good for 30 days. Thinking I wasn't going to be charged in another 30 days, I thought I had some time to consider. 7 days later I was charged for $29.95 "Intelius Premier Plus". Disputed with my credit card company.

Their website says you cancel when you log into the account. Logged in, and that option is not available. No way to contact them other than by phone. https://intelius.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018844872-Why-do-I-have-a-membership-when-I-only-wanted-to-purchase-a-report. Go to the Intelius website and LOG IN to your account. Hover over MY ACCOUNT. Click ACCOUNT SETTINGS. On the My Account page, under My Membership, click the Cancel My Membership link.

Intelius Support

Original review: April 2, 2020

My cousins informed me that Intellius had added six additional years to my age. Additionally they indicated that I only had a high school education; I have an advanced degree. I wrote them and customer informed that I can my name removed from their reports. She maintained that they cannot change their information because it is collected from various public agencies. This indicates that their information is not always accurate which this not a trustworthy or reliable company. If a customer needs accurate information he or she should avoid using this company.

Intelius response
We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Intelius Support

Original review: March 10, 2020

After using several other sites in comparison, I have found Intelius is lacking in information. Several searches utilizing the Premier Account with my friends revealed limited and outdated information. Phone number, previous addresses, and one or two family members was all I could gather. A background report only contained traffic violations. Other sites contain plenty more updated info.

Intelius response
We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I was just looking for some basic information and decided to try Intelius since they had a 7 day free trial, which stated my account would not be charged until the end of the 7 days unless I cancelled. I searched myself first just to see if the information was accurate. I found other than basic info they charge additional fees so within 1 hour I cancelled my account. The next morning I checked my bank account and Intelius had charged my account $29.95. I called the number listed on their site and reached a very polite rep. She told me that yes my account had been cancelled but that I did have 1 report and that the charge was for that report not the membership. So apparently you pay a membership fee and then for each report there is an additional fee. So my 7 day free trial cost me $30. I also tried another background checking site which did not offer a free trial but I paid $27 and got all the reports I wanted for 1 month with no additional cost.

Intelius Support

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching for a phone # and it stated the cost was $0.97. After entering my credit card info, it charged $0.97 plus another $6.97 and it set me up for an ongoing report that automatically charges my card every month. I canceled the membership and tried to call cust serv about the additional charge but couldn't reach anyone. Couldn't find a way to reach customer service on the website either. What a complete scam!!

Intelius response
Thank you for reaching out. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our site, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I canceled my membership on January 10th and they still charged. They reopened my membership and charged me anyway. I called that customer service number and no one answers. Their website should be shut down. I calling the BBB to get them closed down. They are a horrible company. You have been warned.

Intelius Support

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I can't believe this is being passed off as a background checking site. I checked myself and everything was either totally wrong or simply bogus. My phone number was wrong, my current address was wrong, my high school was wrong and it didn't even show the college I attended, All my previous addresses were incomplete, incorrect and the time I lived at each was wrong. The only thing I found completely accurate about their information was my name and date of birth. The owners of this site should use the money. They trick people into paying for their service to make a legitimate background check service. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CRAP!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Do not waste your money on this company. Their reports are totally inaccurate and when I ran a report on myself the information was so far off base, unreliable and unfactual. I don't see how in the world this company could say that it's a leader in background checks- what it's a leader in is false advertising. Please learn from my mistake. I spent the money and got duped for you.

Doyle **

Texas

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This was one of the worst and most terrifying experiences. I used it to look up something and then call celebs my subscription as it was generic and nothing more than I found myself on Google. After canceling I noticed they charged my card anyway. I went to the website, cancel again and changed my credit card. The moment I got my new card I used it at Walmart.com and within 30 seconds got an email that Intelius had update me my card number and charged my new card number, which means they embedded a key logger on my phone after visiting their website and using their product. This website and company is a private investigator company which is a common tactic but they do not reserve the right to use that in every day consumer affairs. Shady. Unethical.

Intelius Company Information