3.08/5

Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

Need a background check company?

Intelius Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I found a computer with a person's name but nothing else. It was an unusual name so I spent my .95 to find a number. When I noticed a 29.95 charge, 2 weeks later, I realized I'd been had. They cancelled the membership, that I didn't know I had, after calling. Just be warned that you should stay away from these people or be more aware that America has turned into one giant scam. Yes, I paid 30.90 for a simple phone number trying to help someone out.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I wish I had looked at reviews first! They offer you a search for 95 cents but then you find out you have signed up for a paid subscription. You must cancel within 7 days but you are still billed an additional 7.95. The worst part is that the info I got was wrong!!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The person I'm searching for rented a house from me for 3 years. That address did not show up in the list of addresses for this person. The current address Intelius showed was a previous address the renter put on her rental application. Additionally, the membership was listed as .95 cents, but when I cancelled, the site informed me that it is charging me 7.95 for my short membership.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My Dad lived at same address for 60 years; a painter with grade school ed. They listed his correct address PLUS 4 more in other states, with a bachelor's degree, & a career as a Vice Pres of a company!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

This place is a RIP Off. They charge your card before your trial period is over. They make it very difficult to understand the fine line reading. Money Hungry with unfulfilled promises. Run, don't use!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I ordered a people search and paid $1.01 for it. Next thing I know they charge my credit card $31.93 for a subscription I did not order or request. Intelius is a sleazy and deceptive operation. Do not do any business with this outfit.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

In my opinion, these guys engage in deceptive practice. They show a large $0.95 to do a phone number look up on the front page so you think you are only paying that much for that one time service, but here's where I believe they are pretty sneaky... when you look at the fine print, they are actually stuffing in there an automatic Premier Plus subscription for $7.95 that is tied to that $0.95 cent look up. If you purchase the $0.95 service, you will pay that additional $7.95 - that charge however doesn't show up in your invoice - only the $.95 cents will show up. The fine print on the invoice indicate that your are already on the hook for that $7.95. And get this, even if you cancel within 7 days, you are still on the hook and IF YOU DON"T CANCEL, WITHIN 7 DAYS, it appears that you will pay $29.95 a month.

If you weren't aware that weren't just paying for the $.95 service, then you don't know that you have actually signed up for a subscription and will only know when you see the charge on your credit card. Below is an excerpt from this deceptive practice. So beware, if you think you're paying for just a one time look up for $.95 - you are being deceived! I contacted them to let them know my thoughts and they refunded me my money. Nonetheless, BEWARE! "PLUS ONE BACKGROUND CHECK (VOUCHER) EACH MONTH. Try Intelius Premier Plus, and if you cancel within the first 7 days you pay only $7.95. Otherwise, you will receive 1 background check voucher per month and be charged $29.95 each month you remain a member. Each voucher will expire in 30 days, if not used. You can cancel at any time."

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

The website offered me 2 different offers. The first one was a membership that I could cancel, then a $1.95 special popped up for a 1 time full report. It was for $1.95 as long as I cancelled before the 7 days because the other membership was just basic. Today I have a charge for $7.95. They know what they're doing by getting you to accept because that $7.95 charge no matter what is not communicated. The least they could have done was get the information on the report correct. Don't fall for the trap!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Please save yourself A HUGE HEADACHE and NEVER EVER use this website to check anything. Not only are they profiting off of your information, they will also scam you out of even more money if you try to purchase anything from them. Any of the options they have on their website will charge you for a monthly subscription with no ability to opt-out. Again, they will give you a subscription regardless of anything you buy, there are no option to opt-out. The only way to opt-out is to not buy anything from them in the first place. If you did buy their services and wanted to cancel the subscription they will charge you a 7.95 fee. You have been warned. Please do not buy anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Ordered (20 Sep 2019) what I thought was a one time background check. The background report was laughably incorrect and virtually useless. The only way it could have been more amateurish is if they did it in crayons. The $39.95 charge bought a "7 day" trial membership, which automatically became a monthly charge of $29.95. Oh, and there is a $7.95 charge to cancel the service. When I asked to talk to a manager I got hung up on. Do NOT use this service. If you are looking for a police report go to the Police Station or County Court (often free). These clowns at Intelius have apparently moved on from their first gig as Nigerian Princes; this scam apparently pays better.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information