Learn More

2. Background Check Companies

3.6/5 (48 ratings)

About Intelius

Intelius delivers information about individuals and their connections to others using public records from government and professional entities. With a monthly subscription, users can access unlimited records and instant search results. Intelius cannot be used to screen tenants or employees.

Pros

• Mobile app for Apple and Android
  • Unlimited reports
  • Can pay monthly or per search

Cons

• Cannot buy one-time service
  • Auto-bills after 30 days

Bottom Line

Intelius is a search service that provides information about people by compiling information found in public databases. It can be used for personal-use background checks.

Top Intelius Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased Intelius to find property owners for buyers that were interested in purchasing their properties. Intelius was by far the best source of information relating to the pro...

Verified

Intelius was easy to use, and searched an incredible number of records in a very short period of time. Accurate, very reliable, and my search found the person I was looking for ju...

What is Intelius?

Intelius is a search engine for personal data. The company uses public data to provide customers with a wide variety of information. This includes criminal records and other information for background checks.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) doesn’t classify the company as a consumer reporting agency, which means you can’t use it for tenant or employment screening.

How does Intelius work?

Intelius pulls data from a variety of public sources, including:

• Commercial business records
  • Court records
  • FBI and local crime records
  • Federal, state and county records
  • Phone directories
  • Real estate deeds

Intelius doesn’t provide any information you can’t find on your own by searching public records, but the company saves its customers time and effort by pulling all the public data together in one interface.

The information Intelius provides typically isn’t readily available on Google; you’d have to comb records and often pay fees for access. With Intelius, you pay a single fee for the information you request.

Intelius subscriptions and features

Intelius offers a variety of search options based on your needs. Some of the features the company offers include:

• Background checks
  • Criminal records
  • People directory
  • People search
  • Phone directory
  • Public records
  • Reverse address lookup
  • Reverse phone lookup

Though Intelius used to offer tiered pricing, it now only offers one plan that lets you access unlimited reports and instant search results. This plan is either a monthly or bimonthly membership. You receive a discounted rate If you opt for the bimonthly membership, which gives you two months of access.

How much does Intelius cost?

Intelius memberships cost $24.86 per month, with a discounted rate of $42.25 for two months. However, the company has occasional online offers for additional discounts or opportunities to pay for a five-day trial period.

You can pay for your Intelius account by using a credit card, debit card or PayPal. Keep in mind that your account will automatically renew every 30 days unless you cancel it. To cancel, contact customer service or do it online.

Intelius FAQ

Is Intelius free?
Intelius is not free to use. The company offers its service starting at $24.86 per month, though you can receive a discount by purchasing two months of service.
Is Intelius safe?
Intelius is safe to use. The important thing is to read the fine print when signing up so you know exactly what you’re paying and what you’re getting.
Is Intelius accurate?
Intelius is as accurate as possible. It pulls from public information, so its information is only as up-to-date as the public data is. That said, customers sometimes report that there is missing information in reports.
Where does Intelius get its information?
Intelius gets its information from public databases. This includes government records, social media, financial institutions and more.

Is Intelius legit?

Intelius is a legitimate business that offers several search options, and it saves customers the time and effort that would otherwise be spent digging through public records. Intelius offers a mobile app for both Apple and Android devices. Though you cannot use Intelius for just one search, it offers affordable subscription plans on a monthly basis, with five-day trial periods available during certain promotions.

Intelius can be used for background checks, but it’s important to know that you can’t use it for screening potential tenants or employees.

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: June 16, 2021

First, let me say Marco is a great asset to your company. I was frustrated about a charge to my account that I didn’t authorized and Marco was very knowledgeable & understanding in helping correct this problem. Honestly, I have never been on a call where I felt listened too and made to feel comfortable speak about a problem. Marco, keep that same attitude because I was having a bad day and you definitely made it much brighter. Thank you again and many blessings to you!

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I called because I was billed on the 6th day of your 7 day trial. I had already canceled though. I got my Credit Card statement and the 2 charges for 4/20 (4.34 and 1.03) and the 32.60 on 4/26 were on it. Oscar waived the 4/26 charge and the 5/25 charge and retroed back my cancelation like I had called in. Thank you so much for having CS person as good as Oscar working for you.

Original review: March 30, 2021

When I have to use it. Every once in awhile I have to track people down. Comes up every once in awhile, as I do skip tracing on occasion or helping find people who have run off with cars and we need to find their location to get the repo done. Or if someone can't find a loved one, etc. I recommend your service to everyone that needs stuff like this done. Don't currently have a need for it, but I'm sure life will drag me back into it. Thanks for all that you do!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I CALLED TWICE TODAY, AFTER TRYING TO DO A PHONE LOOK-UP WITH MY $29.95 MEMBERSHIP WHICH I BELIEVED TO BE A "FULL" MEMBERSHIP. Anyway, I first spoke with a young lady name Padi, who was very helpful an offered me a $14.95 fee effective 3/3/2021 which would be a truly free subscription, including phone look ups. She said she'd send a confirmation email and I checked and it hadn't shown up yet, and I went back to log in, when I got a pop-up on my screen offering a trial for $4.95, so I went thru the steps to sign up for that, and finally got a message that an account with that email already existed.

So I called again and got a charming and delightful young lady name "Lisa", from somewhere in NE Iowa, who was patient and extremely helpful, in spite of the fact that I'm a horrid typist and while I'm on the phone have to typed one handedly, and she was kind and helpful and displayed a wonderful sense of humor and brought a ray of sunshine into a dreary afternoon for me. She's certainly a keeper and hopefully you have bigger things in store for her.

I retired 10 years ago after a 38 year career as a human resource executive, so I think I'm a pretty good judge of people and personalities, and Lisa's a winner! Not to take anything away from Padi, but I think, from my experience Lisa would be a perfect role model for the general population of customer support & service folks, and not just with Intelius, but I spend a lot of time on-line and have dealt with and/or hired probably hundreds of them so I'm not just blowin' smoke. She's the real deal, and I wish nothing but the best for Lisa and for your organization. Sorry for the long message, but she made it worth the time. Thanks for listening.

Dan

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I spoke with Tim, in customer service, and I was very impressed with his personal service in satisfying my personal request. His empathy, personality, professionalism and overall knowledge serves him well. He is Excellent in his demeanor, and I consider Tim to be the Best of the best in his service to myself and others. I personally consider him to be a tremendous asset to your company. This pleasant gentleman deserves a Hefty Raise since I, the customer, is supposed to be always right. RIGHT? Thank you Tim. You are the Greatest in how you related your empathetic response to my request! Thank you again. Allen **

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: June 8, 2021

I've been paying 13 or 14 dollars a month to Intelius to have a service whenever I want to look up a phone number or a name. This was good for a while then the last person I talked to from Intelius told me I didn't need the app. But now I haven't been receiving the info I feel I should get when I search someone or a phone number. Doesn't work anymore.

Intelius response

We're sorry to hear our service has not been working for you. You may need to update your version of the Android operating system. If you update your operating system, you should be able to use the app without any problems. We try to use the newest technologies to give our users the best experience in our app. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Sincerely,

Intelius Support

Original review: June 4, 2021

I kept getting these strange calls at least 20 times a day and then I was getting notes at my house. I used these guys to look up this number. Went to the police because it got to the point that I was scared to leave my house. The guy is now in jail for stalking me. Thank you Intelius.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 3, 2021

I spent over two hours yesterday trying to get into my account to read a report I ordered last February. I had gotten some kind of notice saying I could read the report for 50% off. I was not willing to do that. The young lady from customer support tried to help me, but to no avail. I am 87 years old, hard of hearing, legally blind, and not very computer literate. The pictures I was supposed to identify (bicycles, bridges, traffic lights, crosswalks) completely defeated me and Intelius had no alternative method of gaining access to QA report.

I think the person trying to help me was out of her depth. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was put on hold for about 20 minutes, and then was told the supervisor was not available. On May 19 I called with the same question and was told I could receive a hard copy of the report in the mail, but it would take about one week. I have yet to receive that hard copy. Yesterday, the representative told me I would be receiving an email with the report in about 48 hours. I am not holding my breath. I tried to fill out the survey you sent, but It would not "submit". I do not think I have ever been as disappointed in a company as I am in Intelius.

Intelius response

Thank you for reaching out. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our site, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Intelius Support

Original review: May 27, 2021

I thought the marketing was that I’d get to see MY profile of my web searches but it was just a few addresses. What I did see was interesting, and I looked up a few people. I couldn’t bear the cost ongoing because I wasn’t using it each month. I’m interested in the protection plan however. Didn’t know about that. Maybe later.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Tyler was so helpful and patient with me. I am 80 years old and computers are so frustrating for me. He explained how my system works and was successful in fixing the problem so I could use my account with Intelius. You have a great employee!

Intelius Company Information