2.68/5
Based on 296 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 7, 2018

357 Intelius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My experience with Intelius was not good. In fact, I found the company without any integrity. When I sought the company out online they claim to be running a promotion of .95 and if they didn't find a result to my inquiry within 3 days they would refund the .95. Also if I canceled my membership within 7 days they would not charge the $29.95 monthly fee. This is what is stated, "You will only be charged a $7.95 one-time fee if you cancel your membership and do not use your first background check voucher before 02/05/2018." The misleading part of it is "am I not using the first time voucher with my order #** which was dated before 2/5/18?" The company wasn't able to complete my request at the end of three days so I canceled my membership promptly (within the 7 day period) and then I get charged the $7.95 at the end of the 7 days.

I inquired as to why through Intelius Customer Service and I was informed that I agreed to being charged the one-time fee of $7.95. Yes, I did in fact agreed but this is the scam part. I did everything according to how it was explained and written, but Intelius didn't do their part. They were not able to complete my order (which I ended up resolving on my own-odd that they couldn't). They refund .95 to charge $7.95. One time voucher is pointless. Not reputable!!! Will not consider doing business in the future with them. Wished I had paid better attention to the bad reviews of this company before I signed up with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I don't really understand all the bad reviews. Every one I've read basically said that the obligations were right there (just in small print which is no different than each and every company under the sun) and that they only read them AFTER signing up. Who does that? The funny part is after a friend showed me the site and I started digging around and looking into it (before finding any reviews) I noticed the free, unlimited 2 day trial. Unlike most Intelius gives the trial withOUT your credit card or any personal info which is also rare. I've been working on the free trials and I've looked up over one hundred people easy.

I guess read before you stick your bank info in someplace. *I don't think the free trial is offered on the desktop but in the Google Play Store it automatically goes to it. One additional thing to know is after the trial ends, in order to get it again, you do need to install the app on another device. Small pain in the butt compared to what people here have been going through I think.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I hate your guts for lying to me and all your customers. I wish I would of never used your company. I was told it was going to cost only $1.00. Got billed on my current statement for $1.95. The information was old and at least 15-22 years old. You are paying for nothing and bad information. Called today 1/19/2018 and wanted to cancel my membership and asked them if I would get a credit for the $1.95 and was told that there is NO cancellation of my account and that I would continue to be billed the $1.95 for using this service. But they said again if I use the service instead of the $1.00 charge only it would be $7.95 to look up one number. I said I wanted this $1.95 credit on my bill credited back to my credit card and they said it was NOT going to happen.

The call center is in another country where you cannot understand them at all. Please never ever never ever never ever do business with Intellius.com because they lie to you from the start of the lookup of an address and phone number and to the end of the process. I have never been treated so bad in my life by an internet company. Society should not be a press a button and it's done kind of thing because life does not work that way and should not work that way.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

As many people stated, I also purchased a one time request. I received the confirmation email with the 7 days free trial of Intelius membership, which I did not requested. When I read it carefully, I found out that after my free trial expires, they will charge my card for 29.99 a month, but if I cancel it within 7 days and did not use their service during these 7 days, they will just charge me for 7.95 dollars. So, they charged my card for the service I did not even signed up for... How could this company even exist??

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

1. Signed up to do a 1 search for .95 and the info provided was no better than what I found in 5-minutes of searching the web. 2. A week later received a charge for $21.95 for a Premier Plus Membership which I did not sign up for. When I contacted them said, "To get the special pricing you agreed to a year Premium Plus membership, the details which were presented at checkout" (in fine print, at bottom of page). They refused to refund the charge. What a shameful way to make money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Signed up to receive ONE address. They charge you for an ENTIRE YEAR!!! DO NOT under any circumstances use this company. They will not refund my money which they had no permission to take in the first place. I don't understand how con artists like this are allowed to continue. Anyone else would be in prison.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I went to Intelius.com for a background check. I agreed to pay for one check at $19.95. They also signed me up and billed me for $49.95 for one month - without my permission. That is $19.95 + $49.95 for the one service. They then apparently lied to my credit card company and said I had signed up for a single check plus a month of checks.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Intelius removed money from my bank account without my explicit knowledge or permission. There were absolutely no service or product rendered in exchange for the money Intelius removed from my account. After contacting Intelius several times to explain the details, Intelius terms of service would NOT return the money even though NO services were rendered. I made a small one time service purchase. Intelius states that a clause during checkout entitled them to continue to bill for NO additional request for service. The clause was not prevalent (hidden) because I was careful not to agree to or did I want any service contract throughout the initial purchase. Most companies, with a reasonable business model, would consider this overlooked mistake grounds for a full refund. Intelius has chosen to take the low road of hidden fees and contracts with a policy of not returning money for NO SERVICE RENDERED.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

This company's website leads one to believe you are only paying for this 1-time service, when in fact they will bill you $29.95 "membership". I did a reverse phone number search and their database is so bad... I received a name, but I know for a fact that the person has been dead for almost 10 years. This is a fraudulent operation that counts on you not reading the small print and then they just pocket your money. Disputing their fraudulent charge with PayPal did not work, but, if you used PayPal, you need to change your password immediately as it automatically cancels their "billing". Bottom line, AVOID, DON'T USE, BEWARE OF FRAUD! You can find better and honest service elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Like many other 1 star reviewers, this company's website leads one to believe you are only paying for this 1 time background check on a person, when in fact they will bill you $19.95 every month by not clearly stating that is what they are going to do. The option to NOT HAVE monthly billing is very difficult to find. So like other fraud type businesses in past, they make enough money by these overcharges... counting on busy people not noticing. They've billed me at least 6 times of $120 for NO SERVICE. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE SCOUNDRELS. Call center is offshore and maybe even the owners are too.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Do not use this people search company. They give you an option to get a report on someone for $6.95. I was fine with that then a few days later I found out they were going to charge my card $29.95 every month. I was able to find that out by going to another page and found that out in small print. I immediately cancelled the service and because I cancelled the service within 7 days they are going to charge my card an additional $7.95. They are sneaky. I bet many customers were being charged the $29.95 every month and they did not know it. Best to avoid this company big time for their shady advertising practice. I was very upset they tried to trick me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Retired officer and always looking out for my family, I turned to Intelius to perform a background check for my brother. The person was someone out of Florida. I authorized a one time fee of $14.95. The BOTCHED report came back on a person in New York. I emailed & complained, they said they would credit me a background check. Ok. Well I guess having a credit floating out there must mean you now have to maintain a membership fee of $19.95 per month. Not!!! I've contacted them to cancel the credit, and I want ALL of my monies back. Poor background check, and a scam!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Do not waste your money or time on this site. I paid $49.95 for a run of the mill background check that has a lot of basic information that you can find for free on the internet. I really just needed to get a copy of my daughter's ex boyfriend's criminal record. I knew he had a criminal record since it is printed on her police report. The "Previous criminal record" box was clearly marked. I was at the police station with my daughter when the police told us that he had prior assault charges from years prior to this incident on his record. So I paid an extra 19.99 for a statewide and federal criminal background check.

Nothing at all showed up! When I called customer service asking for my $ back they told me that they were sorry for my inconvenience but it is not their fault that the records were not yet posted in public records. I told her that that was total BS and that Intelius does not find accurate, up to date information in their databases. Their response was, "If someone gets something expunged it will not show up in their public records". I demanded my money back for the criminal check and the best that they offered me was a free background check for a future check. Excuse me, thank you for nothing because I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE THIS SITE!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I paid .95 for a one-time check and received outdated information that was useless. Today 1 week later there is a $29.95 charge on my cc thru PayPal. Never authorized it. Stopped payment immediately and contacted cc company and PayPal to state fraudulent charge.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This one is easy… I paid $39.95 to find information about someone we were in court with. I had way more information already then Intelius offered. Some info was incorrect and they were huge gaps that were not addressed that I think should've been. For example, if someone has a job, has a college education, is married, etc. I found that out easily but it wasn't showing up on their website and they offered no information that I didn't already have. I was cautious to sign up for just the one look up and somehow found myself in the nightmare of continuing monthly billing for $29.95. I only needed one search. I'm not a private investigator. Therefore I recommend not using this company. They are not going to refund the money I spent for nothing.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I used Intelius for a one-time charge in August for an address. It costs me $.95 and I got a confirmation by email. Today, a month later, I have a charge on my credit card for $29.95 for which I NEVER asked for anything and never got an email saying that I did! The order number is from the charge that is listed in my credit union for this charge and I am not sure if it is an order number for this fake charge on my account.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I purchased this service to do a background check. To verify if the info I was receiving was credible, I also checked mine and various family members to see what kind of info came up on them. SO much was incorrect. Addresses that they've never lived at, people they don't know, incorrect ages, but most startlingly wrong was my daughter's profile. Hers had all of my information attached to it. My schooling, my business and jobs were all associated with her name. None of her information was on her name search. This is a scam service. I wasted time and money on this site.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I paid for their service for a phone look up and the additional fee for them to make a current check on the telephone numbers they provided. The total was $8.90. When I called the numbers they were disconnected. They could not be providing a current check. I tried to get my money refunded out of principle and the person they pay to represent them accent was so thick, I could not understand. Further, after a 5 minute conversation they do not EVER refund money. This is a bad company that has fake products and no guarantees.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I used Intelius to complete a background check on a family member who needed help after being denied a job and apartment. The background report Intelius provided after paying $60 was inaccurate and incomplete. Not only did it include information for two people, same name, but different states, and not provide me a chance to identify which person I was seeking information for, but it said there was no criminal record. It found no arrest or conviction. Surprised, I contacted another company and found out that my family member DID have a criminal record and found the county that the charge originated in so we could contact them and correct the record. When I contact Intelius about the incorrect report, they didn't care and stated that they gave no refunds, even after acknowledging that they didn't provide the service agreed upon. RIP OFF. SCAM.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I tried to get a reverse phone number name. They said I could get a one time question answered for 95 cents so I did that. They could not give me any information so I immediately cancelled any further interaction, received confirmation that my account was cancelled. Then they charged me $7.95 today. I called and they said I hadn't cancelled soon enough. They would not refund this amount. When I objected they said there was nothing I could do. I just don't see how an outfit like this continues to operate. Well, maybe I do - it's fools like me that subscribe. This is such a rip-off.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I signed up for a 99 cent report which produced no info. This was followed by a 2.95 charge for what promised to be more complete, still nothing. A week later my credit card was charged 29.95. When I called in, I was told that "membership charge is non-refundable". I am furious and bent on spreading the word about this unscrupulous ripoff. Shame on you!!!

Original review: June 26, 2017

I signed up for special for one search at .95. I get charged .95 plus tax for $1.03 which is fine. But then I see an additional charge for $32.38. I called and woman and she just kept reading off a script. I told her to stop and listen. There was no place that said you'd get charge a monthly fee of $32.38. In addition, the information was totally wrong and she said they are NOT responsible for the information they receive. So they can charge you for bogus information.

Original review: May 29, 2017

This website offers free background check ups and if you cancel in the first 7 days it costs nothing. So I did the background check I wanted to do and immediately cancelled my membership and they still charged me a month of fees... I tried to get the money they stole back and they refused... For everyone out there do not do business with these crooks.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I signed up thinking it was a one time fee for a one time background check. They charged my account $39.95 and then charged my account a week later $29.95 and then each month for four months after that. I realized I was getting charged monthly when I never authorized or read that this would be a recurring fee. I called customer service and they were unable to refund me all payments. They said they could refund me only one payment and then after arguing with them more and more they finally refunded me three payments. After seeing hundreds of complaints about this company doing the same thing to customers I demanded they refund me every penny I spent. They refused and the customer service representatives just repeated themselves over and over again saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way but we can only refund three payments."

They are scamming people and not clearly stating to their customers that this will be a recurring monthly payment. And I asked if this is a monthly payment why was I charged a week later after I initially signed up. The supervisor made some excuse about the initial payment was for the background check and the second payment was to start the subscription. Another way to scam people out of more money. I called my bank and filed a claim for the other two charges. This company is breaking the law and stealing people's money.

Original review: April 17, 2017

The information is wrong, and when you call customer care, their response is they cannot correct it. They get their information from many sources, but they can't tell you where to go to tell them to correct it. I was told to go to the courthouse. It's wrong and I'm worried about fraud.

Original review: April 6, 2017

They require you to provide all the information. Then it takes 20 min while you watch bogus progress bars. Then they tell you how much it will cost for your free report.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I ordered a one time service to look up a number and this company automatically placed me on a recurring monthly service plan without my authorization. Something that should have cost 9.95, ultimately cost me over $149.00 (that is, if they refund me the last three charges as they said they would today). They have been billing me monthly since November 2016 and I just noticed it last month. I received a one time service. I haven't received any other service since that time, nor did I order any. I spoke to a supervisor and asked to speak to someone with more authority and was told, "The buck stops here." I was given this address to write for further refunds: Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 4145, Bellevue, Washington, 98009-4145.

The man I spoke to would not give me his full name. He said there was no phone number for the home office in Washington and that the customer service office is in India. He said his badge number was ** and called himself Bernard. Reputable companies are clear about what they are offering and charging their customers. I believe this company is knowingly misleading customers. They should be boycotted and sued. BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT purchase their service! I've asked American Express to dispute the charges and I will continue to spread the word.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Misleading with price. Act like you can submit for free without a fee. That was untrue. You needed to pay to have submitted after you worked on it for 4 hours so who the heck would start all over, will take advantage of having it done free via work next year.

Original review: March 22, 2017

They keep constant on credit activity. All new and derogatory information is presented through US Mail with a format that you can reply within the paperwork provided you. It is very easy to stay on top of credit activity giving you a chance to reply at the time the activity happens instead of years later when you are trying to get a loan or something like that.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I did sign up for an account to find out some information on a person last July. I did not agree to or was made aware of the $29.95 automatic recurring fee that must have been in the fine print. Legit companies are upfront about their fees and do not slam you into a auto rebill without their permission. SCAM SCAM SCAM! Shame on you people! Of course there will be no refund, only legit business will offer you a refund if you are dissatisfied. NEVER SIGN UP WITH INTELIUS!!!

Intelius expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.intelius.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use