3.21/5

Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

Need a background check company?

438 Intelius Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Ordered (20 Sep 2019) what I thought was a one time background check. The background report was laughably incorrect and virtually useless. The only way it could have been more amateurish is if they did it in crayons. The $39.95 charge bought a "7 day" trial membership, which automatically became a monthly charge of $29.95. Oh, and there is a $7.95 charge to cancel the service. When I asked to talk to a manager I got hung up on. Do NOT use this service. If you are looking for a police report go to the Police Station or County Court (often free). These clowns at Intelius have apparently moved on from their first gig as Nigerian Princes; this scam apparently pays better.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This website is a scam, they will charge your card for old information, nothing updated and when I called them I was told this is only a public information. So why I'm paying over $45 for then? Google could've gave me a better information!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I signed up for 1 Lookup .95 cents cost. Yeah right. The next thing I know I have a yearly account at 29.95 per month that I did not sign up for and I have to create account so I can sign in to cancel it. I have asked for a refund but no luck on that so I would suggest you stay from them. They are not trustworthy!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Their ad says you can find out who called you for .95. Well, they couldn't tell me who owned it and told me THEN, I would be charged an additional $7.95 if I cancel their services which I never asked for!! Stay away from these crooks! My credit card company couldn't stop payment on the additional amount without totally canceling my card THEN disputing it with them in the future!! They use the fact that most people won't go through cancelling their card for $7.95!! Pitiful business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

This company uses very deceptive practices, $.95 info search with a $7.95 penalty if you refuse to sign up for a MONTHLY $29.95 service. Completely deceptive. NOT to mention information provided was badly out of date and filled with errors. I will probably end up paying nearly $31.00 for an out of date report for a long lost friend that was no help in locating the person. Beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Was overcharged $35. Company won't refund my money. The background check was awful. I got way more information from another service that was honest. This company is not. Why would you trust a background check from a scam like this? Beware!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I used this service to do a reverse lookup on a phone number and agreed to a small trial fee knowing I wouldn’t be keeping the service. I cancelled within 48hrs. Today I receive notice I’m being charged $7.95 for their service even though I thought I would only be paying 95cents. The information provided was not even correct. This is incredibly unethical business practice and should be criminal. Wish I would have read reviews before agreeing to purchase.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I signed up & paid $1.95 for one search and was given a 7-day "trial" membership. I did my search and found the information reported, including but not limited to addresses, phone numbers, employment and marriages, was hopelessly out of date and completely useless. The addresses, phone numbers, and employment information were at least 4 years old. I cancelled the membership immediately and was told I would be charged another $7.95 at the end of the "trial". This service is a complete scam from my perspective.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

This is absolute BS. Anyone using this service BEWARE!! I tried a 1 time "look up" & was billed $.99.. thought no big deal, they even sent the info on the wrong person. 8 Days later I get a charge for $29.95 because I did not read the "Fine Print" in their email.

You are automatically signed up with a membership, and if you "Cancel" within 7 days, you are still billed an additional $7.95, and on the 8 day you are billed for $29.95!

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE unless you plan to pay $29.95 per month!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The small print that you agree to when purchasing says something about automatically signing you up for monthly membership that you must cancel. It's a bother, but whatever. However, if you read the small print carefully, you will discover that cancelling costs $7.95. So, in addition to whatever you are actually intending to buy, you will either be charged $29.95/month or else $7.95 if you cancel. The price clearly marked on the product is NOT the price you will pay. This is a desperately dishonest business practice.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information