Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

Compare Background Check Companies

Research top Background Check Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Like so many others, I ordered a single, one time report for $49.95, and was fraudulently put on a monthly subscription autopay for $29.95. Then they did not refund to additional payment either. They should be ashamed of taking advantage of consumers.

They offer a short time search and then when you call to cancel, they tell you that your account is closed. Then some time later you realize they have stolen $19.95 from you for months. The "supervisor" offered three months refund and stated that she was the end of the line for customer care. This is my response to her lack of cooperation. Thank you for your attention to this scam.

They will make you think you are paying $50 for 1 report and then auto-bill you every month for 29.95. I specifically selected that I wanted 1 report and I was willing to pay extra to not have to deal with canceling and calling them, yet they billed me monthly anyway. It was a good 6 months before I realized it. They made $300 off me. This place is making a lot of money by misleading people. Extremely dishonest company. BBB is a complete sham as well, giving this company a 4 star review despite the 99% negative rating from the reviewers.

I requested a report on intelius.com. I specifically selected the option that was supposed to be $49.95 for a single report. When the credit card information came up the bill said 49.95. Then I got charged another 19.95 for membership on my receipt for my recurring membership. The recurring membership cannot be avoided, and its cost is not included in the cost of the report. The membership starts the moment you buy the report.

I paid you for months, perhaps for years, month after month and was still an active customer. When I tried to locate a former secretary so that I could notify her of the death of a co-worker, you charged a sum which I have long since forgotten but which I found extravagant. That was the last charge I shall ever pay you especially in the light of all the payments I had made and was still making. You would not even discuss the matter. Obviously, short term profit was more important than a long relationship.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

So many of the phone numbers I looked up came back with no information, no name, nothing. That is the reason I subscribed, for phone lookups.

I'm 87 years old and I had my caregiver help me to try and get information on one of my daughters that I didn't know the whereabouts of. I authorized him to use Intelius.com for a one-time lookup for the $1.97. What we didn't know was that I was going to be charged $19.95 each month for a premium membership. Because I am 87 I didn't catch it on my bank statement for 10 months but when I did I went to my bank, who very helpful and filed a dispute. I did try talking to the c/s dept. at Intelius but couldn't understand the person I was talking to because they had an strong Indian accent. The dispute did yield all my money back which I was very grateful for. Intelius didn't provide any results as to my search. I would use them again.

I received a call on July 4th and wanted to know the name of the person that had called so I did a reverse phone lookup and paid $4.95 for it. Well, I had to wait days, not minutes like it used to be only to find out that they couldn't get the name of the person who had called me. I find that hard to believe because it was a land line phone. I paid $4.95 for nothing and it is a big rip-off. Save your money!!!

Not much help finding the people I needed to find. Only very basic info I can find many places. Worse when I tried to cancel it took $ times calling. ZERO stars.

I gave correct street address and Intelius could not find it. In the list of suggestions, I chose the wrong person.

I am unhappy with the service in the past with this firm. I am a CT State Marshal, Legal law officer with legal processing services. I need from time to time to search for new address, Social security numbers, place of employment. I had your service and then an inspector came to my home office and after my service was cancelled. I tried talking to a number of people and never got an answer as to why I was cancelled when other towns, attorneys, marshals have your service. No one has ever answered my calls, emails and letter requests. Therefore I am not a happy camper with this firm at this time. I would like to resume and get this back to normal, but... Let me know... Please. Thank you.

Whenever I am looking for someone I can usually find info about them on Intelius. Found my cousin in TN & a distant cousin in FL so I can only say good things about Intelius.

Not enough research is being done for sites like these. If you try several of these sites, you'll find that one has what you're looking for and the others don't! How did that one find it and others didn't. They usually can't find me, I've lived at one address for 30+ years, same with telly #, had a business in the yellow pages, had a drivers licence for 60+ years, am subscribed to maybe 30 or so sites, am on facebook etc. The owners find a source like phone books and that's all they do!!

Signing on - All is done then why do I keep being denied? I pay for this service. Very dissatisfied.

Very difficult to find. Report was not accurate. Very disappointed.

Free one doesn't work, subscription too expensive.

Can check address and phone numbers any time of day. Don't have to disturb individual in case you misplace an address already given to you.

I found your service to be a joke and a rip-off. I subscribed only to find out that if I need accurate verifiable information regarding customer phone numbers or addresses I have to pay additional a la carte fees. I would use your services if they did what the claim that they will do.

When I signed on with Intelius, it said that I would be charged .95 cents and if I didn't change this before the free-trial was over I would be charged $7.95. Well when I signed on for them to take the .95 cents I also checked for there to be no more charges after the free-trial period was over. Well, they charged me anyway and when I called they said that this was something that I agreed too when they charged me the .95.

Annette, we apologize for any misunderstanding with our billing. We will reach out to you in a private message to see if we can help you further.

I'm American but I live in Antalya, Turkey. Completely unable to use Intelius. I don't know why I still pay each month.

David, if you are having a difficult time using our website, please reach out to our Customer Care. We will work with you so we can resolve the issue you are having. You can contact us by phone or email by going to https://www.intelius.com/emailcontact.

I was not impressed with Intelius. The information I got was the same information I could have gotten for free on the internet.

Jane, we apologize you did not find the information you were searching for. Intelius receives frequent updates from many different data sources. We hope you give Intelius another try in the future.

I have been searching for my youngest brother. Unfortunately, he does not work, drive, own a car or live anywhere that is traceable. This does not reflect on the information I was able to get from Intelius. You did help me find my step-mother, who was the last person to see him. She just won't give me any information.

Terri, we apologize you didn't find what you were looking for, but we are glad to hear you found some useful information. Intelius is frequently updating its data. You can always try the same search later to see if we have the information you need.

I ran a background report on my boyfriend and was very disappointed in this inaccurate information that they gave me. He has been convicted and moved 4 years ago from the address they have provided which was not noted in my report. Lots of money- $49.95-+$7.95 for cancellation fee for inaccurate report! They are complete scam!

Asel, we apologize that you did not find the information you were looking for in your report. There are times when certain types of data are just not available. It is never our intention to misrepresent the type of data we are able to provide. Someone will reach out to you to see if we can help you further.

I was very satisfied with one of the background checks I had received.

Many unknown caller solved.

Your website did not find the person I am looking for!!!

We apologize that you didn't find who you were looking for. We gather information from several sources to provide the information service to our customers. We will have someone reach out to you to help with your concern.

Reverse phone lookup info was wrong. It said it was a man when I found out that it was issued to my girlfriend's sister. Would like my account credited back what I paid for.

Thank you for giving Intelius a try. We apologize that you didn't find what you were looking for. We will have someone reach out to you directly to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Not really very good. Don't think the value is very cost effective. Old data.

Great. Found what was looking for first time.

Thank you for the great feedback! We're happy to hear that you found what you were looking for.

I signed up for this for a month and ended it before the second month. I printed out cancellations many times and I'm still getting charged every month. The bill is now over $100. I would recommend not using this site!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. The company is based in Bellevue, Washington.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius not only offers people screening options, but also specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies, as well.
  • Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.
  • Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.
  • SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.
  • Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.
  • Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals), or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).
  • Best for People using online dating sites, people who want to check the background of someone in their lives, and people who want to see what information shows up on their own background check.

Compare Background Check Companies