1.30/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

368 Intelius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

I paid $.95 to get a reverse phone number. Never got it, so I canceled my account after a few days. Then I received a $7.95 charge to my PayPal account. Intelius Customer Service said I had selected the Premier Service at $29 annually, and there is a one-time fee of $7.95 to cancel. They will not refund the $7.95. I certainly did not want the one-year service. How did they scam me into that? Do not deal with this scam company!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I search for an unknown caller number on the web. The results said data was available and provided a link to Intelius. Their offer on the web was $0.99 to provide caller identification. You are in reality being signed up for a $29.95 monthly membership in Intelius Premier plus you pay the $0.99 with a credit card. They were not able to produce any identifying results, so I called to cancel the monthly membership. The invoice says "You will be charged a $7.95 one-time fee if you cancel your membership and do not use your first background check voucher before [date], which is 7 days from today." Watch out for this tactic. There are plenty of other paid searches out there that are more clear what your one-time charge will be. I will never use them again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 11, 2018

While I was traveling on vacation earlier this year, I used Intelius to find an old address. The cost of that transaction was 95 cents. I didn't know until today that the 95 cent purchase automatically enrolled me in their premier plan, resulting in Intelius charging me via PayPal for $29.95 per month. Their marketing practice is quite deceptive, and do not like the fact that monthly charges begin and are only stopped when you call them to cancel. I know a lot of businesses do that, and I hate them too. (Grrrr... now where's that voodoo doll?)

Original review: May 6, 2018

I never even signed up for whatever service you provide. Yet, you charged my debit card $29.95. I don't even know who you are or what you do, all I know is that my $29.95 had better be back on my debit card by Monday or my lawyer will be in touch with you for unauthorized usage of a debit card. You all are authorizing charges by an internet company called Intelius. You are in violation of customer protection statutes. Customers have incurred so much money on their credit cards or debit cards because they don't look at their charges and they don't dispute them, however I do. Therefore, I expect a full refund of $29.95 as soon as you get into your office on Monday. If not, my lawyers will be in touch with you. The Better Business Bureau has already heard from me as well as about 400 other people. So you really need to take your scam somewhere else. People in America are on to you, you cannot get away with it anymore so don't try.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I signed up for a one-time request. I was double billed which overdrafted my checking account. When contacted, they said it was a buy one get one free and that they were sorry but they would give me a free request. Look you have cost me $37. I want my money returned, I’m never using their service again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: April 23, 2018

Use common sense. After you purchase your first report, you get directed to a page that BLATANTLY asks you if you want to sign up for their recurring service and directs you to esign with your email then hit the big YES button or, underneath that, just hit the NO THANKS button. Everyone, just read things before you click or you won't do well online. Secondly, as far as for my interaction with the company, the report I purchased had been "mixed up" with that of someone with a similar name in the same area so I chatted the support team. The rep reviewed it, apologized for their being an issue with the report and conceded my full refund then confirmed that I was not on any recurring billing. What else could you need from a company?

Original review: April 12, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I paid $39.95 for a background check that had no information in it. The free portion of their check had more info. On the free info it listed the relatives and education of the person I checked but when I got the report that was blank and of course the person I talked to when I called to complain could barely speak English. Save yourself some money and do not use this company.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had decided to do a search on my ex husband when I got some money. The search was $6.95 for the basic search. The information contained in the report was WAY out of date. There was no new information. The information contained in the report was 5-10 years old. When I called to make sure my credit card would not be charged again for a membership, I was told I would be charged an additional $7.95 for canceling. Just google who you are searching for and save the $15. You will get more up to date information.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I looked up information online about an individual. I decided to use Intelius to add to what I found on my own. What a mistake. Their report found about one tenth what I found and some of theirs was inaccurate. They were very expensive $69.00 compared to other such services and the report was essentially useless with inaccurate and out of date info. Never again!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Scam!!! Only wanted telephone number from someone and willing to pay the $1.95. When the receipt showed online they added $19.95 plus two $1.95 charges. Called and tried to cancel immediately. Girl said they would take the 19.95 off but not the $3 charges (it was discounted she said from 1.95 each). On the phone for 15 minutes NEVER got report. After arguing with them about it I clicked on the "get report" it was an old phone number!!! That's all I wanted!! I'm now so annoyed I will have to contact my VISA to get the small amount removed. I will do this as I am so annoyed with Intelius and want everyone to know what a scam this is!!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

It is very difficult to cancel. The information you get online to do this isn't accurate. There isn't a "cancel" option under "My Membership" services. The "Help" in Intelius is no help, either. I finally found the way by accident. It's on the Intelius Premier Plus page with "My List", "Search", and "My Account" on the top header (I have no idea how I ended up on this. Sorry). The default page you land on in the Intelius Premier Plus is "My List" where there is options to search underneath it. You need to choose the "My Account" page link on the top header to get off that "My List" page. On the "My Account" page is "Membership Information" and under that is a blue link that lets you cancel. This is NOT at all what's on any instructions online. If you don't go out of your way to cancel, your credit card will be charged every month until you do. This is unacceptable to make it so difficult.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My experience with Intelius was not good. In fact, I found the company without any integrity. When I sought the company out online they claim to be running a promotion of .95 and if they didn't find a result to my inquiry within 3 days they would refund the .95. Also if I canceled my membership within 7 days they would not charge the $29.95 monthly fee. This is what is stated, "You will only be charged a $7.95 one-time fee if you cancel your membership and do not use your first background check voucher before 02/05/2018." The misleading part of it is "am I not using the first time voucher with my order #** which was dated before 2/5/18?" The company wasn't able to complete my request at the end of three days so I canceled my membership promptly (within the 7 day period) and then I get charged the $7.95 at the end of the 7 days.

I inquired as to why through Intelius Customer Service and I was informed that I agreed to being charged the one-time fee of $7.95. Yes, I did in fact agreed but this is the scam part. I did everything according to how it was explained and written, but Intelius didn't do their part. They were not able to complete my order (which I ended up resolving on my own-odd that they couldn't). They refund .95 to charge $7.95. One time voucher is pointless. Not reputable!!! Will not consider doing business in the future with them. Wished I had paid better attention to the bad reviews of this company before I signed up with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I don't really understand all the bad reviews. Every one I've read basically said that the obligations were right there (just in small print which is no different than each and every company under the sun) and that they only read them AFTER signing up. Who does that? The funny part is after a friend showed me the site and I started digging around and looking into it (before finding any reviews) I noticed the free, unlimited 2 day trial. Unlike most Intelius gives the trial withOUT your credit card or any personal info which is also rare. I've been working on the free trials and I've looked up over one hundred people easy.

I guess read before you stick your bank info in someplace. *I don't think the free trial is offered on the desktop but in the Google Play Store it automatically goes to it. One additional thing to know is after the trial ends, in order to get it again, you do need to install the app on another device. Small pain in the butt compared to what people here have been going through I think.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I hate your guts for lying to me and all your customers. I wish I would of never used your company. I was told it was going to cost only $1.00. Got billed on my current statement for $1.95. The information was old and at least 15-22 years old. You are paying for nothing and bad information. Called today 1/19/2018 and wanted to cancel my membership and asked them if I would get a credit for the $1.95 and was told that there is NO cancellation of my account and that I would continue to be billed the $1.95 for using this service. But they said again if I use the service instead of the $1.00 charge only it would be $7.95 to look up one number. I said I wanted this $1.95 credit on my bill credited back to my credit card and they said it was NOT going to happen.

The call center is in another country where you cannot understand them at all. Please never ever never ever never ever do business with Intellius.com because they lie to you from the start of the lookup of an address and phone number and to the end of the process. I have never been treated so bad in my life by an internet company. Society should not be a press a button and it's done kind of thing because life does not work that way and should not work that way.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

As many people stated, I also purchased a one time request. I received the confirmation email with the 7 days free trial of Intelius membership, which I did not requested. When I read it carefully, I found out that after my free trial expires, they will charge my card for 29.99 a month, but if I cancel it within 7 days and did not use their service during these 7 days, they will just charge me for 7.95 dollars. So, they charged my card for the service I did not even signed up for... How could this company even exist??

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

1. Signed up to do a 1 search for .95 and the info provided was no better than what I found in 5-minutes of searching the web. 2. A week later received a charge for $21.95 for a Premier Plus Membership which I did not sign up for. When I contacted them said, "To get the special pricing you agreed to a year Premium Plus membership, the details which were presented at checkout" (in fine print, at bottom of page). They refused to refund the charge. What a shameful way to make money.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Signed up to receive ONE address. They charge you for an ENTIRE YEAR!!! DO NOT under any circumstances use this company. They will not refund my money which they had no permission to take in the first place. I don't understand how con artists like this are allowed to continue. Anyone else would be in prison.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I went to Intelius.com for a background check. I agreed to pay for one check at $19.95. They also signed me up and billed me for $49.95 for one month - without my permission. That is $19.95 + $49.95 for the one service. They then apparently lied to my credit card company and said I had signed up for a single check plus a month of checks.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Intelius removed money from my bank account without my explicit knowledge or permission. There were absolutely no service or product rendered in exchange for the money Intelius removed from my account. After contacting Intelius several times to explain the details, Intelius terms of service would NOT return the money even though NO services were rendered. I made a small one time service purchase. Intelius states that a clause during checkout entitled them to continue to bill for NO additional request for service. The clause was not prevalent (hidden) because I was careful not to agree to or did I want any service contract throughout the initial purchase. Most companies, with a reasonable business model, would consider this overlooked mistake grounds for a full refund. Intelius has chosen to take the low road of hidden fees and contracts with a policy of not returning money for NO SERVICE RENDERED.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

This company's website leads one to believe you are only paying for this 1-time service, when in fact they will bill you $29.95 "membership". I did a reverse phone number search and their database is so bad... I received a name, but I know for a fact that the person has been dead for almost 10 years. This is a fraudulent operation that counts on you not reading the small print and then they just pocket your money. Disputing their fraudulent charge with PayPal did not work, but, if you used PayPal, you need to change your password immediately as it automatically cancels their "billing". Bottom line, AVOID, DON'T USE, BEWARE OF FRAUD! You can find better and honest service elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Like many other 1 star reviewers, this company's website leads one to believe you are only paying for this 1 time background check on a person, when in fact they will bill you $19.95 every month by not clearly stating that is what they are going to do. The option to NOT HAVE monthly billing is very difficult to find. So like other fraud type businesses in past, they make enough money by these overcharges... counting on busy people not noticing. They've billed me at least 6 times of $120 for NO SERVICE. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE SCOUNDRELS. Call center is offshore and maybe even the owners are too.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Do not use this people search company. They give you an option to get a report on someone for $6.95. I was fine with that then a few days later I found out they were going to charge my card $29.95 every month. I was able to find that out by going to another page and found that out in small print. I immediately cancelled the service and because I cancelled the service within 7 days they are going to charge my card an additional $7.95. They are sneaky. I bet many customers were being charged the $29.95 every month and they did not know it. Best to avoid this company big time for their shady advertising practice. I was very upset they tried to trick me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Retired officer and always looking out for my family, I turned to Intelius to perform a background check for my brother. The person was someone out of Florida. I authorized a one time fee of $14.95. The BOTCHED report came back on a person in New York. I emailed & complained, they said they would credit me a background check. Ok. Well I guess having a credit floating out there must mean you now have to maintain a membership fee of $19.95 per month. Not!!! I've contacted them to cancel the credit, and I want ALL of my monies back. Poor background check, and a scam!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Do not waste your money or time on this site. I paid $49.95 for a run of the mill background check that has a lot of basic information that you can find for free on the internet. I really just needed to get a copy of my daughter's ex boyfriend's criminal record. I knew he had a criminal record since it is printed on her police report. The "Previous criminal record" box was clearly marked. I was at the police station with my daughter when the police told us that he had prior assault charges from years prior to this incident on his record. So I paid an extra 19.99 for a statewide and federal criminal background check.

Nothing at all showed up! When I called customer service asking for my $ back they told me that they were sorry for my inconvenience but it is not their fault that the records were not yet posted in public records. I told her that that was total BS and that Intelius does not find accurate, up to date information in their databases. Their response was, "If someone gets something expunged it will not show up in their public records". I demanded my money back for the criminal check and the best that they offered me was a free background check for a future check. Excuse me, thank you for nothing because I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE THIS SITE!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I paid .95 for a one-time check and received outdated information that was useless. Today 1 week later there is a $29.95 charge on my cc thru PayPal. Never authorized it. Stopped payment immediately and contacted cc company and PayPal to state fraudulent charge.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This one is easy… I paid $39.95 to find information about someone we were in court with. I had way more information already then Intelius offered. Some info was incorrect and they were huge gaps that were not addressed that I think should've been. For example, if someone has a job, has a college education, is married, etc. I found that out easily but it wasn't showing up on their website and they offered no information that I didn't already have. I was cautious to sign up for just the one look up and somehow found myself in the nightmare of continuing monthly billing for $29.95. I only needed one search. I'm not a private investigator. Therefore I recommend not using this company. They are not going to refund the money I spent for nothing.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I used Intelius for a one-time charge in August for an address. It costs me $.95 and I got a confirmation by email. Today, a month later, I have a charge on my credit card for $29.95 for which I NEVER asked for anything and never got an email saying that I did! The order number is from the charge that is listed in my credit union for this charge and I am not sure if it is an order number for this fake charge on my account.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I purchased this service to do a background check. To verify if the info I was receiving was credible, I also checked mine and various family members to see what kind of info came up on them. SO much was incorrect. Addresses that they've never lived at, people they don't know, incorrect ages, but most startlingly wrong was my daughter's profile. Hers had all of my information attached to it. My schooling, my business and jobs were all associated with her name. None of her information was on her name search. This is a scam service. I wasted time and money on this site.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I paid for their service for a phone look up and the additional fee for them to make a current check on the telephone numbers they provided. The total was $8.90. When I called the numbers they were disconnected. They could not be providing a current check. I tried to get my money refunded out of principle and the person they pay to represent them accent was so thick, I could not understand. Further, after a 5 minute conversation they do not EVER refund money. This is a bad company that has fake products and no guarantees.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I used Intelius to complete a background check on a family member who needed help after being denied a job and apartment. The background report Intelius provided after paying $60 was inaccurate and incomplete. Not only did it include information for two people, same name, but different states, and not provide me a chance to identify which person I was seeking information for, but it said there was no criminal record. It found no arrest or conviction. Surprised, I contacted another company and found out that my family member DID have a criminal record and found the county that the charge originated in so we could contact them and correct the record. When I contact Intelius about the incorrect report, they didn't care and stated that they gave no refunds, even after acknowledging that they didn't provide the service agreed upon. RIP OFF. SCAM.

Intelius expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs