3.44/5

Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

409 Intelius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

I did a search on Intelius for $.95. Apparently, there is some language in the checkout process that automatically signs you up for a membership which you have to opt out of within 7 days or be charged $29.95 per month! Obviously, I would never knowingly sign up for this service. When I called customer service after seeing three months' charges on my card, they told me that they would cancel the membership, but that past charges were non-refundable. I said that wasn't acceptable, so he offered to refund one half of the last month's charges. I said that wasn't good enough, so he told me he would refund 100% of the last month's charges. I said that still wasn't good enough, and he offered to refund the last two month's charges. I agreed to that, but think I should have continued to push. It's a scam and they know it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I use their service occasionally in the past few years without a problem, but last February 2018 after I paid $9 something for a repost, every month after that they are charging me $19.95 for something I did not agree and most importantly that I do not use. 14 months later my credit card raised a red flag ???? about the May/2019 charge and I realized that Intelius fraudulently is charging me for the past 13 months $19.95 each month. The fact that they can clearly see that I have not used their services should have raised a flag to them but that would have been to my advantage so forget that. Now I am trying to get a refund and they tell me to log into my subscription account and stop it (?). Log in where Intelius? I do not have an account yet I am charged. Is there an organization to stop these unauthorized and reoccurring monthly charges?

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I tried it, paid almost $30.00 and it searched the wrong person. It didn’t give me anything on the person I needed a background checked on. I fell for the fake 5 stars. Don’t do it! You will throw your money away.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Signed up for trial membership. 7.95 if canceled within 7 days. It stated unlimited searches only charged if you request detail report. I did a name search. Person came up out of state. Canceled right there. Wasn’t even an hour. I was charged for the report and the membership. Contacted customer service. They stated that I requested a report so I was being charged for a report. I again told them that I did not. I did a name search in which it came up the wrong person and I canceled. Response was our reports are not guaranteed. There is better companies out there that will deliver and guarantee their findings.

Original review: April 19, 2019

When I put in the address it popped up there would be a 75 cent charge. I put the charge on my credit card. It was not clear that I was signing for a membership. When my credit card came I was billed for two months membership. When I wrote them about this they refused to refund the charges. I will not us this service ever again. It's a ripoff. I just paid $60 for a telephone number!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: April 9, 2019

After paying the 95 cents charge, they came back with no results from search, I canceled the free trial membership. I got my .95 cents back. Then they charge on my credit card anyway, despite having canceled. Then you look at these reviews. I hope my complaint get the authorities get them.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I paid Intelius $59.90 for a "comprehensive premier plus" background check, and the results didn't even turn up the criminal charges and moving violations I already knew about, as well as having an inaccurate residence & work history of the subject. I contacted Intelius about refunding the charges for completely unsatisfactory service, and was told in so many words to pound sand, had to dispute the charges on my card. Do not waste your time & money with this site. Even the $0.99 and $2.00 checks turned up more than Intelius, although they were also severely lacking.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I never used Intelius but I received a small charge - $0.95 - on my credit card. It turns out that hackers somehow use Intelius to find valid credit card numbers. They apparently have bots that generate numbers until they find one that works on Intelius. I called Intelius and they said they would cancel the charge as well as the upcoming $39.95 membership fee but the rep was rude and insinuated that a family member used my credit card. This company seems very shady. They could easily do what most companies with an online presence do - i.e. limit the number of attempts at using a credit card to cut down on fraud.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Ordered a background check for $39.99 and received information that is available for free with a Google search. There was unclear text below about cancelling your membership within the first 7 days and was charged another $7.95. I basically gave Intelius $48.00 for nothing to show. Do not even think about considering them.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I attempted to do a reverse phone review with Intelius. The site popped up a blurred out image of a file telling me that I could get this report for $.095 if I sign up for their "premium membership" at $29.95 a month - but I could cancel that membership at any time after the initial payment. I made the initial payment - and found that the blurred file that was "ready" for me did not exist! I got an email some days later saying, "Sorry, we couldn't find any information about your request." But they did charge me a $7.95 cancellation fee on the membership anyway. Don't go near this company. They are trying to get your money without providing anything you can't find for free elsewhere. And PayPal won't judge a claim in your case against these folks, so they have at least that payment service in their pocket. Liars and scams.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I made a useless self-research that I didn't benefit from and they charged me 1.09$ for it just to find out a couple of weeks later that I got charged another 32.95$ for their ** membership which I have never used and don't need. I called to request my refund and the guy tells me that It's non-refundable and it's their policy. I had to yell and scream and ask to speak to a supervisor for him to agree to process a refund out of "courtesy" he said. The guy seemed like he was familiar with the process and it wasn't the first time to yell at him. Overall, ** experience, terrible scam company, and useless background search value. Just save your self time, money and effort and don't go near this company.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Advertise $0.95 cent per contact charge which if canceled within 7 days no other charges will be applied. Well, they forgot to mention that even when you cancel they charge you $7.95 as attachment to promo. So you get screwed anyways. Way to steal money out of consumers. Furthermore, the info they provide doesn't tell you anything, unless you pay more for more detailed review and then get charged on top of it. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Intelius is a scam company, plain and simple. I ordered a "people search," which was stated to be $0.95 with a 7-day trial in their membership. This report was not even worth $0.95, and I requested to cancel. They agreed, but days later I saw they charged me $0.95 plus $7.95, AFTER I had cancelled. The scam is, they lead you to think you can get a "people search" report for $0.95. But they will later charge your card $7.95 or $29.95 recurring, depending on when you cancel. The $29.95 is for some "paid membership," but they don't even provide much explanation what the $7.95 is supposed to be for!

What to do if they take your money? Call or e-mail the company, and politely but firmly state this is not acceptable and you need a refund. I got my money back this way after a couple of e-mails. If they refuse to refund and/or continue to charge your card, file a dispute with your credit card/bank if you can. Don’t forget to report your card as lost/stolen so they can deactivate it and send you a new one.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I requested to find out details of a certain phone number. Gave me multiple addresses. Everything incorrect in the report. Called and cancelled within the time frame so I don’t get a monthly fee. Didn’t bother to check my detailed bank statement and realized that they never cancelled my membership and I was getting charged for service I didn’t use. Tried to explain the situation today and the agent I spoke with says anytime someone calls they have a date stamp with the account and it doesn’t show that I called to cancel and it shows that I used service every month!!! Total scam, I don’t mind paying for something that I got service for. Reports are inaccurate and they set you up for automatic billing. Never use this service! Total scam!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

TOTAL SCAM!!! My son needed a background check for a travel abroad program. He's 21, active on social media, has had numerous jobs and has attended two colleges. NO information come up for him: NO phone number, NO social media, NO education, NO employment, NO email. The one bit of info they did list was WRONG - my husband's name was spelled wrong and they listed his age as 21. He's 57.

I canceled immediately and wanted my money back. The $39.99 is non-refundable. To add insult to injury, they billed me an additional $7.98 a day or so after. WHY? I spoke to a representative, Paul, who insisted any of the information listed wasn't why people use a background check. Well, why do you include all of those categories on your report? Any good review of this service is PAID ADVERTISING. Go to **... They rate them 9/10. And underneath that you'll see "Disclosure: We receive advertising revenue from this partner."

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I recently tried the 7 day trial i wanted to do a backgrounders check on a nanny for my kids. I started the trial to look up 3 particular prospects. I put my info and agree to pay the fee to see if I have funds. Upon the search I reviewed the info given to me and tried to match it and it didn’t add up on anything. All the addresses were not up to date, backgrounds, phone numbers. To give it a chance I looked myself up. They have no number, no criminal record, or previous addresses I used. I cancelled my trial the day or next day and on the 8th Day was charged $7.95. I think maybe if it was accurate I would have kept it; but a complete waste of money. Smh. I wish I could get everything back but now I know.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

We had a month membership and told it would be $19.95. Instead we were conveniently charged $29.95. After 4 emails asking about the price difference, I was then asked by a customer rep what my concern was. He never read my question. The next email was a standard form letter saying call the 1-800 number. I've tried both Truthfinder and SentryLink and found them to be superior. Plus their customer service actually reads your emails and responses to them. I would avoid Intelius at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Offer a check for $.95. If you cancel without using your background check it they charge $7.95 to your card. If you actually use it they charge you for $29.95 membership starting at time of the ".99 best ever offer". Do not fall for this scam!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I really expected this outcome, so why did I go ahead and give them my information anyway? I am being harassed by an unknown person in another part of the country. I REALLY want to know who the person is, which is why I decided to go forward with the handing over of my credit card information. After paying the 95 cents charge, surely I knew there would be more, but I tried to cancel after the free trial membership. Once I got the $29.95 charge on my credit card anyway, despite having canceled, and called to object, of course they said that there's "no record" of me calling to cancel. Right?

What makes me almost as mad as the $29.95 scam (I pray there's not another charge next month and that it ends at this $29.95) is that they LIED OUTRIGHT when they said they had the identity of the owner of the phone number from which the harassment is coming. I'd almost have forgiven them the $29.95 scam that I KNEW was coming if they really did have the information I asked for in the first place, but alas, when I completed the transaction, they revealed that they have NO INFORMATION whatsoever on that phone number. GRRR. In effect, I've been "double-scammed," once by the $29.95 unwanted "membership" and once by the fake pretext of them having the information that I want.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Worst company ever! They give you a so called “trial period” for 7 days, which would indicate to most people that there is no membership fee unless you use their service. I canceled after 5 days without making any inquiries and was still charged $7.95. Customer service tells me that according to their terms “trial period” meant that I am charged only $7.95 instead of their $29.95/month fee. Obviously, the company is intentionally deceiving their customers. Find another background search company - don’t use them. There are plenty of reputable companies out there.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I looked at 2 records and know that both records were so very far out of date. The information is completely useless. They seem to only have 20 year old phone books and whatever was available in them. This is a complete waste of money!!! I am canceling my subscription.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I paid $39.95 for a search which was to include a detailed search. I received a partial report with details easily found for free. In order to receive the information promised in my membership, Intelius required more and more payments. My $39.95 got me absolutely nothing as promised.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I did a background check for my daughter, who requested this as part of a self-dox to see what she looks like on the Internet. I provided her name and current address. For $50, the report provided exactly one additional address and her birthday. The most basic freely available information such as prior address (my home) and current relatives was not found. The report was instant, so it's clear that no real database searches were conducted. But you can spend much more if you want additional databases to be searched, but this isn't at all clear until you've already committed $50. You can learn 10 times more by simply putting a person's name in the Google search bar.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered a background check online. When I went to retrieve the report, additional boxes appeared on the screen, which appeared to state that simply clicking to retrieve the report would trigger an additional membership, and the pricing of that additional membership was unclear; the additional boxes had various amounts. It seemed like I had to pay an additional fee to get the report that I had already paid for. I simply wanted the report that I paid for. Customer Service stated that amounts paid were nonrefundable. Whatever. SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

SCAM... Complete Robbery. By no means give this company your Personal Information. What was supposed to be a one-time .95 cent reverse phone lookup has turned into hundreds of dollars lost (over $300). If you even do 1 lookup, they consider it a subscription and begin charging you $29.95 a month. I called over 10 times to get this rectified and was reimbursed 3 months but that is all the one office could do, they said they would put it through to HQ in Washington, but they are not accessible via phone and would email me with an update. Never got an update. They are a total joke and I can see why they don't "have" a phone number, they would be riddled with calls of complaints. Very disappointed that such a business is still open. Time to go to the Better Business Bureau. Nice not talking with ya, Intelius.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Please DO NOT use this company! Total scam! I agreed to the $0.95 to look up a report and canceled before the subscription charge and was still charged the $7.95! When I logged in to their website to look up more on this charged, I noticed that they put "canceled before subscription" and was STILL charged for it! I called customer care and of course said the charge was none-refundable... didn't even apologize for the inconvenience, not that it would have made any difference. DO NOT USE THIS SITE, ALL THEY WANT IS FOR YOU TO FALL FOR THE FAKE PROMOTIONS. Totally agree with the bad reviews, they should be investigated! Someone please do something so they can stop taking people $$$$.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was looking up info online, Intelius advertises, "LOOK UP ANYONE FOR FREE FREE." Before you can look anyone up you must FIRST REGISTER. So I did. Part of the registration process is entering your credit card number which "will not be charged" before you can retrieve your FREE report. Next thing I know there are charges on my card for a total of $60.85. THIS COMPANY is falsely advertising. I DEMAND A REFUND.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

After pulling one report, their website automatically and disreputably signs you up for a premier service which you are supposed to cancel somehow but they don't direct you how to do that. Then they proceed to charge you 29.95 per month MANUALLY. My bank verified that it wasn't even a subscription based charge. On top of that they don't send you a confirmation email of the charge which has got to be illegal?! I'm finding it hard to fathom. The only way to see it is the surprise in your bank statement. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. They should be investigated.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The report they provided was no different than what I found on the Internet with a free search. The $8.95 spent is not worth their effort. Recommend you avoid this website. Requested a refund do their lack of information but was denied. Learned my lesson to not trust a site that already has horrible reviews.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I recently used this service to pull a report on some creep who's been stalking me for years. What I got was garbled information on several different people with his name. (One past address listed was his but it was the wrong birth date.) There was also no record of the restraining order I took out against him a couple years ago. To add insult to injury, they charged a $7.95 fee I never even agreed to. Like I said, totally worthless. If you want to dig up dirt on someone, hire a PI. You'll pay more, but the information will be worthwhile. Cheap is dear.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information