3.37/5

Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

Need a background check company?

423 Intelius Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

I ordered a background check -- criminal history, educational, etc. -- about a known fraudster who is working a scam on a dear friend of mine. I found a good deal of publicly-available information, but wanted to use this service to get leads for more digging. However, this was an absolute waste of money. Most of the information provided is horribly out of date or inaccurate, and NONE of what is easily found by just Googling his name (court cases, etc.) was present on the report I paid for. When I reached out to Customer Care and provided a link to one of those cases, I received a CYA form letter explaining how wonderful their service is, but also can be completely inaccurate, and tough doo-doo for any of us paying customers.

Just to verify, I looked myself and several relatives and close friends up -- people whose personal information (phone numbers, addresses, etc.) I KNOW, and not ONE data field besides name and age were current in ANY case. The service is utter garbage, a total scam with no accountability, and I strongly urge anyone and everyone to STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I spent months and a couple of hundred dollars compiling a client list and comments that I added. Without warning they changed their format and removed all my data. I contacted them via email with my complaint and they simply said it was done in an effort to improve our experience. Most of the results obtained from my searches were quite old. Only stayed with the company, because of all the work I put into my list.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I've used Intelius for about 8 years on almost daily basis. They have introduced a new platform a few days ago with no warning. It's not only terribly slow, it doesn't give all the information needed. You can click a link to get pieces of info but you will wait several minutes to go to the next link. After being with them for years, I will be canceling my membership.

Original review: July 17, 2019

This site is bogus when it comes to getting updated information. I requested information on family and friends and none of their names appeared under their phone numbers they had for years even decades, even my phone number. if you don't have any information, it's easy for them to give you information that is incorrect since you don't know the info anyways. Again, all the info was BOGUS!!! And they want to make you pay $7.95 to cancel membership on BOGUS information!!! I requested my refund of all monies since all the info was incorrect. I'll let you know if I get my money back.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I did a background check for a family individual request. Report was unable to list current address, education, work. I was able to go online myself and find the information listing his dental school, license info, NPI number, current employment address and work through google. I found more on google than for what I paid for the report. If you go onto Intelius website very hard to find a customer service number unless you scroll through your account. Main website makes it hard to find. I have used another service online to get a detailed report for $50 more than listed neighbors, VIN for vehicles of address, license no. for individual, liens, employment criminal records etc. Not worth the money spent. Very dissatisfied with the service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: July 12, 2019

From time to time over the years, I've used a reverse phone look up (finding an address and/or name from a phone number) to vet potential contractors. It usually costs $1-$3. I did this recently using Intelius, which stated in big print that the service cost 95 cents during a trial period. So I filled in the payment information, only to receive notice after committing to the service that it might take 2-3 days for the report. I needed to make a decision within 24 hours, so this slow service was now clearly useless to me. I then went to cancel my free trial subscription, only to notice in the very fine print that quick cancellation prior to receipt of a report subjected me to a $7.95 cancellation fee. Worse yet, a much higher cancellation fee would apply if I were to wait to receive the report first.

So in essence, requesting a report without paying for a subscription will cost the consumer about $9 during the trial period, not 95 cents, and if one obtains and reads that single report during the trial period it will cost about $30. Such a deceptive practice from an established company! If I had been dealing with a business without an entrenched reputation, I would have carefully read each word, but one doesn't expect this from such a renowned business. Shame on you, Intelius!

Original review: July 9, 2019

I used Intelius to find an address for some I wanted to send a Get Well card and agreed to 95 cents fee. Later I received a notice my credit card was charged $29.95 for premier subscription. I see from this site a lot of people have had this same experience. They will not refund and tell you it was stated at check out and on receipt. I reviewed my receipt and the small purchase was in a separate box with the subscription lower down in a separate box. And, if you cancel with a short period of time they charge you $7.95 which tells me this is a common practice with Intelius. A lot of cancellations based on this deceptive check out. I ask that Intelius change their bad practice.

Original review: July 2, 2019

After receiving a text message from a 202 area code I did a Google search for the number. Intelius came up at the top of the results. The site offered to to a reverse look up for $0.95. Well aware that this could be a scam, I was on the lookout for hidden fees. Still I found an additional charge for $29.95 after making the initial $0.95 purchase. Whatever weasel words were inserted into the purchase were disguised well enough that I missed them despite looking for them. I was signed up for a monthly recurring charge of $29.95 for a service that was unwanted and has no value. Total scam. Hopefully someone will see this review before making their purchase.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Beware: I received a suspicious call. I googled the number and saw an ad for Intelius. It said I could trace the number for .95. I clicked on the offer and paid with PayPal. I soon received an e-mail thanking me for signing up for their service for $29.95 per month. When I called to cancel this service that I was unaware of signing up for I was told it would cost $7.95 to cancel. All of this happened within a 5 to 7 min. span. So, this company got $7.95 for nothing. On top of that they said they could not find info on the number I was trying to trace. I was told I would receive a confirmation of the cancellation but I have not so I expect to see more charges made to my account. What a business!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I agreed to a one time fee of $1.95 and cancelled my subscription right away and now they have taken $61.90 off my credit card without my consent but when you call they are always closed even during the hours they say they are open.. I have talked to my attorney about this and if my money isn't put back on my card immediately, we will be taking further action for fraud!

Original review: June 20, 2019

They sell you on a $39.95 fee to do a background check then if you don't read the small print it is a monthly charge of $29.95 each month until you can figure out how to cancel. It is very hard to find the small print to cancel this membership that you did not want. I hope they get sued!

Original review: June 14, 2019

Thought I was purchasing a one time report for 95 cents and all of the sudden a monthly charge came up 29.92 came up. I'm sure it was somehow in the fine print but very deceptive practices and company.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Same experience as others. Thought I was buying one piece of information for 95 cents. Surreptitiously, the company signed me up for a monthly subscription at a cost of $30 per month. When I called to complain, I was given no assistance or relief. It was obvious from their records that I had not used the service since the 95 cent search. My only choice is to go to the Attorney General for the state of Washington, which I will do. I can alert their consumer affairs division to the scam being perpetrated by a company headquartered there.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I did a search on Intelius for $.95. Apparently, there is some language in the checkout process that automatically signs you up for a membership which you have to opt out of within 7 days or be charged $29.95 per month! Obviously, I would never knowingly sign up for this service. When I called customer service after seeing three months' charges on my card, they told me that they would cancel the membership, but that past charges were non-refundable. I said that wasn't acceptable, so he offered to refund one half of the last month's charges. I said that wasn't good enough, so he told me he would refund 100% of the last month's charges. I said that still wasn't good enough, and he offered to refund the last two month's charges. I agreed to that, but think I should have continued to push. It's a scam and they know it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I use their service occasionally in the past few years without a problem, but last February 2018 after I paid $9 something for a repost, every month after that they are charging me $19.95 for something I did not agree and most importantly that I do not use. 14 months later my credit card raised a red flag ???? about the May/2019 charge and I realized that Intelius fraudulently is charging me for the past 13 months $19.95 each month. The fact that they can clearly see that I have not used their services should have raised a flag to them but that would have been to my advantage so forget that. Now I am trying to get a refund and they tell me to log into my subscription account and stop it (?). Log in where Intelius? I do not have an account yet I am charged. Is there an organization to stop these unauthorized and reoccurring monthly charges?

Original review: May 3, 2019

I tried it, paid almost $30.00 and it searched the wrong person. It didn’t give me anything on the person I needed a background checked on. I fell for the fake 5 stars. Don’t do it! You will throw your money away.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Signed up for trial membership. 7.95 if canceled within 7 days. It stated unlimited searches only charged if you request detail report. I did a name search. Person came up out of state. Canceled right there. Wasn’t even an hour. I was charged for the report and the membership. Contacted customer service. They stated that I requested a report so I was being charged for a report. I again told them that I did not. I did a name search in which it came up the wrong person and I canceled. Response was our reports are not guaranteed. There is better companies out there that will deliver and guarantee their findings.

Original review: April 19, 2019

When I put in the address it popped up there would be a 75 cent charge. I put the charge on my credit card. It was not clear that I was signing for a membership. When my credit card came I was billed for two months membership. When I wrote them about this they refused to refund the charges. I will not us this service ever again. It's a ripoff. I just paid $60 for a telephone number!

Original review: April 9, 2019

After paying the 95 cents charge, they came back with no results from search, I canceled the free trial membership. I got my .95 cents back. Then they charge on my credit card anyway, despite having canceled. Then you look at these reviews. I hope my complaint get the authorities get them.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I paid Intelius $59.90 for a "comprehensive premier plus" background check, and the results didn't even turn up the criminal charges and moving violations I already knew about, as well as having an inaccurate residence & work history of the subject. I contacted Intelius about refunding the charges for completely unsatisfactory service, and was told in so many words to pound sand, had to dispute the charges on my card. Do not waste your time & money with this site. Even the $0.99 and $2.00 checks turned up more than Intelius, although they were also severely lacking.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I never used Intelius but I received a small charge - $0.95 - on my credit card. It turns out that hackers somehow use Intelius to find valid credit card numbers. They apparently have bots that generate numbers until they find one that works on Intelius. I called Intelius and they said they would cancel the charge as well as the upcoming $39.95 membership fee but the rep was rude and insinuated that a family member used my credit card. This company seems very shady. They could easily do what most companies with an online presence do - i.e. limit the number of attempts at using a credit card to cut down on fraud.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Ordered a background check for $39.99 and received information that is available for free with a Google search. There was unclear text below about cancelling your membership within the first 7 days and was charged another $7.95. I basically gave Intelius $48.00 for nothing to show. Do not even think about considering them.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I attempted to do a reverse phone review with Intelius. The site popped up a blurred out image of a file telling me that I could get this report for $.095 if I sign up for their "premium membership" at $29.95 a month - but I could cancel that membership at any time after the initial payment. I made the initial payment - and found that the blurred file that was "ready" for me did not exist! I got an email some days later saying, "Sorry, we couldn't find any information about your request." But they did charge me a $7.95 cancellation fee on the membership anyway. Don't go near this company. They are trying to get your money without providing anything you can't find for free elsewhere. And PayPal won't judge a claim in your case against these folks, so they have at least that payment service in their pocket. Liars and scams.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I made a useless self-research that I didn't benefit from and they charged me 1.09$ for it just to find out a couple of weeks later that I got charged another 32.95$ for their ** membership which I have never used and don't need. I called to request my refund and the guy tells me that It's non-refundable and it's their policy. I had to yell and scream and ask to speak to a supervisor for him to agree to process a refund out of "courtesy" he said. The guy seemed like he was familiar with the process and it wasn't the first time to yell at him. Overall, ** experience, terrible scam company, and useless background search value. Just save your self time, money and effort and don't go near this company.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Advertise $0.95 cent per contact charge which if canceled within 7 days no other charges will be applied. Well, they forgot to mention that even when you cancel they charge you $7.95 as attachment to promo. So you get screwed anyways. Way to steal money out of consumers. Furthermore, the info they provide doesn't tell you anything, unless you pay more for more detailed review and then get charged on top of it. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Intelius is a scam company, plain and simple. I ordered a "people search," which was stated to be $0.95 with a 7-day trial in their membership. This report was not even worth $0.95, and I requested to cancel. They agreed, but days later I saw they charged me $0.95 plus $7.95, AFTER I had cancelled. The scam is, they lead you to think you can get a "people search" report for $0.95. But they will later charge your card $7.95 or $29.95 recurring, depending on when you cancel. The $29.95 is for some "paid membership," but they don't even provide much explanation what the $7.95 is supposed to be for!

What to do if they take your money? Call or e-mail the company, and politely but firmly state this is not acceptable and you need a refund. I got my money back this way after a couple of e-mails. If they refuse to refund and/or continue to charge your card, file a dispute with your credit card/bank if you can. Don’t forget to report your card as lost/stolen so they can deactivate it and send you a new one.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I requested to find out details of a certain phone number. Gave me multiple addresses. Everything incorrect in the report. Called and cancelled within the time frame so I don’t get a monthly fee. Didn’t bother to check my detailed bank statement and realized that they never cancelled my membership and I was getting charged for service I didn’t use. Tried to explain the situation today and the agent I spoke with says anytime someone calls they have a date stamp with the account and it doesn’t show that I called to cancel and it shows that I used service every month!!! Total scam, I don’t mind paying for something that I got service for. Reports are inaccurate and they set you up for automatic billing. Never use this service! Total scam!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

TOTAL SCAM!!! My son needed a background check for a travel abroad program. He's 21, active on social media, has had numerous jobs and has attended two colleges. NO information come up for him: NO phone number, NO social media, NO education, NO employment, NO email. The one bit of info they did list was WRONG - my husband's name was spelled wrong and they listed his age as 21. He's 57.

I canceled immediately and wanted my money back. The $39.99 is non-refundable. To add insult to injury, they billed me an additional $7.98 a day or so after. WHY? I spoke to a representative, Paul, who insisted any of the information listed wasn't why people use a background check. Well, why do you include all of those categories on your report? Any good review of this service is PAID ADVERTISING. Go to **... They rate them 9/10. And underneath that you'll see "Disclosure: We receive advertising revenue from this partner."

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I recently tried the 7 day trial i wanted to do a backgrounders check on a nanny for my kids. I started the trial to look up 3 particular prospects. I put my info and agree to pay the fee to see if I have funds. Upon the search I reviewed the info given to me and tried to match it and it didn’t add up on anything. All the addresses were not up to date, backgrounds, phone numbers. To give it a chance I looked myself up. They have no number, no criminal record, or previous addresses I used. I cancelled my trial the day or next day and on the 8th Day was charged $7.95. I think maybe if it was accurate I would have kept it; but a complete waste of money. Smh. I wish I could get everything back but now I know.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

We had a month membership and told it would be $19.95. Instead we were conveniently charged $29.95. After 4 emails asking about the price difference, I was then asked by a customer rep what my concern was. He never read my question. The next email was a standard form letter saying call the 1-800 number. I've tried both Truthfinder and SentryLink and found them to be superior. Plus their customer service actually reads your emails and responses to them. I would avoid Intelius at all costs.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information