2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: July 28, 2020

Most the information returned is irrelevant and with many inaccuracies. Too much information about third parties, which is also irrelevant. It looks they want to fill out a long report but made of with no relevant information. I paid a month to get information on one person and myself. Incredibly my data doesn't even show up, as if I don't exist. A rip-off. I definitely do not recommend.

Original review: July 11, 2020

Terrible information...total ripoff. Most details were not about person I was checking. Details were wrong, dated, incomplete. Don't waste your money, it's a scam. Price includes only what you can find on your own, any additional (though I doubt they would provide any more) is additional charge.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Hidden fees everywhere!!!! You must read everything before buying this or you will be sorry. First, Intelius site is about the worst I've seen. You make the purchase and then they charge you for everything you look at. Please don't forget to set the auto renewal to off or you will be charged again. I thought they only charged month to month, I was wrong. Please go elsewhere.

Original review: April 11, 2020

BUYER BEWARE. Purchased "Background Check" $39.95, then was offered "Property & Neighborhood Report" $14.95 to give me additional information about person I was doing background search on. It does not. Bought both. Message on screen says reports are good for 30 days. Thinking I wasn't going to be charged in another 30 days, I thought I had some time to consider. 7 days later I was charged for $29.95 "Intelius Premier Plus". Disputed with my credit card company.

Their website says you cancel when you log into the account. Logged in, and that option is not available. No way to contact them other than by phone. https://intelius.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018844872-Why-do-I-have-a-membership-when-I-only-wanted-to-purchase-a-report. Go to the Intelius website and LOG IN to your account. Hover over MY ACCOUNT. Click ACCOUNT SETTINGS. On the My Account page, under My Membership, click the Cancel My Membership link.

Original review: April 2, 2020

My cousins informed me that Intellius had added six additional years to my age. Additionally they indicated that I only had a high school education; I have an advanced degree. I wrote them and customer informed that I can my name removed from their reports. She maintained that they cannot change their information because it is collected from various public agencies. This indicates that their information is not always accurate which this not a trustworthy or reliable company. If a customer needs accurate information he or she should avoid using this company.

Original review: March 10, 2020

After using several other sites in comparison, I have found Intelius is lacking in information. Several searches utilizing the Premier Account with my friends revealed limited and outdated information. Phone number, previous addresses, and one or two family members was all I could gather. A background report only contained traffic violations. Other sites contain plenty more updated info.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I was just looking for some basic information and decided to try Intelius since they had a 7 day free trial, which stated my account would not be charged until the end of the 7 days unless I cancelled. I searched myself first just to see if the information was accurate. I found other than basic info they charge additional fees so within 1 hour I cancelled my account. The next morning I checked my bank account and Intelius had charged my account $29.95. I called the number listed on their site and reached a very polite rep. She told me that yes my account had been cancelled but that I did have 1 report and that the charge was for that report not the membership. So apparently you pay a membership fee and then for each report there is an additional fee. So my 7 day free trial cost me $30. I also tried another background checking site which did not offer a free trial but I paid $27 and got all the reports I wanted for 1 month with no additional cost.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching for a phone # and it stated the cost was $0.97. After entering my credit card info, it charged $0.97 plus another $6.97 and it set me up for an ongoing report that automatically charges my card every month. I canceled the membership and tried to call cust serv about the additional charge but couldn't reach anyone. Couldn't find a way to reach customer service on the website either. What a complete scam!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I canceled my membership on January 10th and they still charged. They reopened my membership and charged me anyway. I called that customer service number and no one answers. Their website should be shut down. I calling the BBB to get them closed down. They are a horrible company. You have been warned.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I can't believe this is being passed off as a background checking site. I checked myself and everything was either totally wrong or simply bogus. My phone number was wrong, my current address was wrong, my high school was wrong and it didn't even show the college I attended, All my previous addresses were incomplete, incorrect and the time I lived at each was wrong. The only thing I found completely accurate about their information was my name and date of birth. The owners of this site should use the money. They trick people into paying for their service to make a legitimate background check service. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CRAP!

Intelius author review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information