2.9/5 (718 ratings)

About Intelius

Intelius is an online people search tool that provides background checks and access to public records. Intelius provides information about individuals, and their connections to others, by searching through public records from government and other public sources to create a detailed background report that compiles information for you. With a monthly subscription, users can access unlimited records and instant search results.

Pros

• Mobile app for Apple and Android
  • Unlimited reports
  • Can pay monthly or per search

Cons

• Cannot buy one-time service
  • Auto-bills after 30 days

Bottom Line

Intelius is a search service that provides information about people by compiling information found in public databases. It can be used for personal-use background checks.

Top Intelius Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased Intelius to find property owners for buyers that were interested in purchasing their properties. Intelius was by far the best source of information relating to the pro...

Verified

Intelius was easy to use, and searched an incredible number of records in a very short period of time. Accurate, very reliable, and my search found the person I was looking for ju...

What is Intelius?

Intelius is a search engine for personal data. The company uses public data to provide customers with a wide variety of information. This includes criminal records and other information for background checks.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) doesn’t classify the company as a consumer reporting agency, which means you can’t use it for tenant or employment screening.

How does Intelius work?

Intelius pulls data from a variety of public sources, including:

• Commercial business records
  • Court records
  • FBI and local crime records
  • Federal, state and county records
  • Phone directories
  • Real estate deeds

Intelius doesn’t provide any information you can’t find on your own by searching public records, but the company saves its customers time and effort by pulling all the public data together in one interface.

The information Intelius provides typically isn’t readily available on Google; you’d have to comb records and often pay fees for access. With Intelius, you pay a single fee for the information you request.

Intelius subscriptions and features

Intelius offers a variety of search options based on your needs. Some of the features the company offers include:

• Background checks
  • Criminal records
  • People directory
  • People search
  • Phone directory
  • Public records
  • Reverse address lookup
  • Reverse phone lookup

Though Intelius used to offer tiered pricing, it now only offers one plan that lets you access unlimited reports and instant search results. This plan is either a monthly or bimonthly membership. You receive a discounted rate If you opt for the bimonthly membership, which gives you two months of access.

How much does Intelius cost?

Intelius memberships cost $24.86 per month, with a discounted rate of $42.25 for two months. However, the company has occasional online offers for additional discounts or opportunities to pay for a five-day trial period.

You can pay for your Intelius account by using a credit card, debit card or PayPal. Keep in mind that your account will automatically renew every 30 days unless you cancel it. To cancel, contact customer service or do it online.

Intelius FAQ

Is Intelius free?
Intelius is not free to use. The company offers its service starting at $24.86 per month, though you can receive a discount by purchasing two months of service.
Is Intelius safe?
Intelius is safe to use. The important thing is to read the fine print when signing up so you know exactly what you’re paying and what you’re getting.
Is Intelius accurate?
Intelius is as accurate as possible. It pulls from public information, so its information is only as up-to-date as the public data is. That said, customers sometimes report that there is missing information in reports.
Where does Intelius get its information?
Intelius gets its information from public databases. This includes government records, social media, financial institutions and more.

Is Intelius legit?

Intelius is a legitimate business that offers several search options, and it saves customers the time and effort that would otherwise be spent digging through public records. Intelius offers a mobile app for both Apple and Android devices. Though you cannot use Intelius for just one search, it offers affordable subscription plans on a monthly basis, with five-day trial periods available during certain promotions.

Intelius can be used for background checks, but it’s important to know that you can’t use it for screening potential tenants or employees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I utilized your service to investigate an unknown call to my home while the wife and I were in London visiting our daughter, her husband, and our only grandchild. There was some sort of glitch with my cancellation email being received and my Chase Visa card was charged for $29.95. I failed to contact anyone at your company and therefore contacted Chase. The problem was resolved by a credit to my account. I have no complaints and would recommend your service to my friends.

David

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I tapped on the premium 3 different times and I called. They took them off and offered me a package deal where I could use premium. I said no. Couple days later I got back and stupid me hit premium again so I called back and this real nice lady fix me up with a special that I could use premium. So very satisfied. I would you a ten star rating. Also give the young lady a raise. Michael **

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Could not receive a report I ordered. Contacted Intelius and they helped me understand why the report would not show up. Have been receiving numerous calls from unknown numbers. Been blocking all calls. Agent was courteous and helpful. Asked if I wanted to cancel because account would renew and there would be a $30.00 fee. I am on a fixed income and this was helpful because I only use Intelius when necessary. I would highly recommend Intelius to anyone and my friends if they need the type of service Intelius provided. It is so refreshing to talk to a honest, helpful and courteous company!! Thank you, Intelius!!! A happy customer who will return.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I have been using this service for a while now, for both work and personal matters. The results are astonishingly accurate, and if they are not, they are close enough to help you get the information you are seeking. The various ways to search is extremely helpful. At my job we use a company to pull information on policies, and numerous times they were unsuccessful with the information given until I searched on Intelius and provided them updated/accurate identifying information on an individual. The customer service is also high quality, and I want to specifically call out Adam for the help he has provided me for the one and only time I needed customer service. I recommend this service to anyone who works in private investigation, and honestly am going to try to convince my employer to work out deal so our whole firm can benefit from their services. (I can't keep running reports for everyone here lol!)

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Food for thought. I opted in to your trial with the understanding that I would receive a full refund if you were unable to find the info I sought. You didn't find it. Based on the language presented, what do you suppose my expectation would be? The language in the cancellation confirmation email I received is a form of "dark UX". Designers understand and know web usage behavior. They know that people scan and look for info that meets the criteria they seek and move on. "Your order has been canceled, and the initial purchase amount will be refunded to the payment option on file." Most users will read that and think they're done. Don't need to read further. Their purchase will be refunded. Period. No more charges.

But after that refund sentence, you slipped in "Your membership will remain active however, and you can continue to use Intelius to look up an unlimited number of people, phone numbers, or locations." A sentence that you know most people won't read. You don't include anything about cards being charged $30 per month, dues, payment, Nothing. This practice is deceptive and you know it. When is making enough money just...enough? If I didn't have this experience, perhaps I would have come back and used your service again. Not now. You lost me, a potential repeat customer. Go long. We're humans, not dollar signs. Thanks for listening.

Intelius response

We appreciate your feedback regarding our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I requested a ONE TIME look-up of 'unknown' phone number; via 'fine print' and deceptive marketing tactics, they roped me (and I'm sure MANY others) into a $35 'persisting membership fee' that was NOT requested, desired or specified in any obvious detail. This kind of manipulative/deceptive business practice is not only antisocial, unethical and pathetic--it's shocking that it isn't illegal.

Intelius response

We appreciate your feedback regarding our membership plans and/or billing policies. In order to complete the enrollment process, each user is required to check a box to agree to Intelius’s billing terms. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: May 18, 2022

I just used this website for a 1$ service. And they took an extra $38 from my bank account. I would like to get my money back immediately. And delete all my information for your system. By the way, their service sucks even for 1$.

Intelius response

We’re sorry that you were unhappy with our billing system. Intelius provides all of the billing details to its users before they sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use. If you have any questions regarding our billing system, please contact the Customer Support team at (888) 245-1655.

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

A representative from the company reached out to me and resolved my issue. Thank you.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Last June I was trying to find someone so I ran his name through Intelius (we'll call him John Doe). I found him another way before I actually ordered the report, so I never did order a report. For the past ten months, all day, every day, I have pop-up ads on my computer screen telling me that I won't believe what's in John Doe's report, I need to see what John Doe has been up to, etc. Apparently it does not occur to Intelius that if I haven't ordered a report in ten months I'm probably not going to.

I have repeatedly emailed Intelius asking them to stop sending me these pop ups. They are spam, and quite likely illegal under federal computer abuse laws. Nevertheless, the pop up ads continue. They take up space on my computer screen, are annoying, and won't go away. Lawsuit is being filed since apparently it is the only way to get Intelius to stop spamming my computer screen with pop ups.

Intelius response

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear that you were frustrated with our site, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: March 19, 2022

I paid $3.99 for a one time look up and it actually totaled about $7. Then 5 days later they charged almost $32 that I NEVER agreed to and refused to reimburse me. I only looked up ONE number. That I overpaid for in the first place. On top of that the information that they gave was YEARS OLD and outdated. It was useless actually. Buyer Beware. Save your money. Don't fall for their deceptive practices.

Intelius response

We appreciate your feedback regarding our billing system. Please be aware that all of our trials and memberships are subscription-based and automatically renew until canceled. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership.

Additionally, we’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us.

Intelius Support

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Thanks for cancelling the fee per month. I may restore it in the later on. Your help gal when I called was very good at communicating the options and pleasant to work with. Thank you for having such a gal answering your clients calls. Also, for your services you provide. I will recommend you to anyone.

Intelius Company Information