Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.81/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

Intelius Reviews

Original review: March 10, 2020

After using several other sites in comparison, I have found Intelius is lacking in information. Several searches utilizing the Premier Account with my friends revealed limited and outdated information. Phone number, previous addresses, and one or two family members was all I could gather. A background report only contained traffic violations. Other sites contain plenty more updated info.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I was just looking for some basic information and decided to try Intelius since they had a 7 day free trial, which stated my account would not be charged until the end of the 7 days unless I cancelled. I searched myself first just to see if the information was accurate. I found other than basic info they charge additional fees so within 1 hour I cancelled my account. The next morning I checked my bank account and Intelius had charged my account $29.95. I called the number listed on their site and reached a very polite rep. She told me that yes my account had been cancelled but that I did have 1 report and that the charge was for that report not the membership. So apparently you pay a membership fee and then for each report there is an additional fee. So my 7 day free trial cost me $30. I also tried another background checking site which did not offer a free trial but I paid $27 and got all the reports I wanted for 1 month with no additional cost.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching for a phone # and it stated the cost was $0.97. After entering my credit card info, it charged $0.97 plus another $6.97 and it set me up for an ongoing report that automatically charges my card every month. I canceled the membership and tried to call cust serv about the additional charge but couldn't reach anyone. Couldn't find a way to reach customer service on the website either. What a complete scam!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I canceled my membership on January 10th and they still charged. They reopened my membership and charged me anyway. I called that customer service number and no one answers. Their website should be shut down. I calling the BBB to get them closed down. They are a horrible company. You have been warned.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I can't believe this is being passed off as a background checking site. I checked myself and everything was either totally wrong or simply bogus. My phone number was wrong, my current address was wrong, my high school was wrong and it didn't even show the college I attended, All my previous addresses were incomplete, incorrect and the time I lived at each was wrong. The only thing I found completely accurate about their information was my name and date of birth. The owners of this site should use the money. They trick people into paying for their service to make a legitimate background check service. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CRAP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Do not waste your money on this company. Their reports are totally inaccurate and when I ran a report on myself the information was so far off base, unreliable and unfactual. I don't see how in the world this company could say that it's a leader in background checks- what it's a leader in is false advertising. Please learn from my mistake. I spent the money and got duped for you.

Doyle **

Texas

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This was one of the worst and most terrifying experiences. I used it to look up something and then call celebs my subscription as it was generic and nothing more than I found myself on Google. After canceling I noticed they charged my card anyway. I went to the website, cancel again and changed my credit card. The moment I got my new card I used it at Walmart.com and within 30 seconds got an email that Intelius had update me my card number and charged my new card number, which means they embedded a key logger on my phone after visiting their website and using their product. This website and company is a private investigator company which is a common tactic but they do not reserve the right to use that in every day consumer affairs. Shady. Unethical.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I entered the phone number, was told would pay $.95 fee and get refund if no info found. I agreed even though they said a land line (cell) and carrier was Pac Bell (is ATT). When the BS premium email came thru, I cancelled the subscription. They emailed me to say refund because they could find NO INFO. Will see. Never got anything except WRONG INFO from them. Scam.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I made one time payment $0.99 for service, but I was unauthorized charged $32.46, it was really hard to go through site and cancel the membership that never subscribed... but still did not get refund. There is a phone number that need to call to get refund, but they did not asked me or did not call me when they charged me. Tricky.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

The same thing happened to me that happened to others here. I paid 1.95 for a report and was charge 29.95 a week later for a "membership" I never signed up for. This company is fraudulent and should be reported as such.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information