1.10/5

Need a background check company?

Intelius

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

391 Intelius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I really expected this outcome, so why did I go ahead and give them my information anyway? I am being harassed by an unknown person in another part of the country. I REALLY want to know who the person is, which is why I decided to go forward with the handing over of my credit card information. After paying the 95 cents charge, surely I knew there would be more, but I tried to cancel after the free trial membership. Once I got the $29.95 charge on my credit card anyway, despite having canceled, and called to object, of course they said that there's "no record" of me calling to cancel. Right?

What makes me almost as mad as the $29.95 scam (I pray there's not another charge next month and that it ends at this $29.95) is that they LIED OUTRIGHT when they said they had the identity of the owner of the phone number from which the harassment is coming. I'd almost have forgiven them the $29.95 scam that I KNEW was coming if they really did have the information I asked for in the first place, but alas, when I completed the transaction, they revealed that they have NO INFORMATION whatsoever on that phone number. GRRR. In effect, I've been "double-scammed," once by the $29.95 unwanted "membership" and once by the fake pretext of them having the information that I want.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Worst company ever! They give you a so called “trial period” for 7 days, which would indicate to most people that there is no membership fee unless you use their service. I canceled after 5 days without making any inquiries and was still charged $7.95. Customer service tells me that according to their terms “trial period” meant that I am charged only $7.95 instead of their $29.95/month fee. Obviously, the company is intentionally deceiving their customers. Find another background search company - don’t use them. There are plenty of reputable companies out there.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I looked at 2 records and know that both records were so very far out of date. The information is completely useless. They seem to only have 20 year old phone books and whatever was available in them. This is a complete waste of money!!! I am canceling my subscription.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I paid $39.95 for a search which was to include a detailed search. I received a partial report with details easily found for free. In order to receive the information promised in my membership, Intelius required more and more payments. My $39.95 got me absolutely nothing as promised.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I did a background check for my daughter, who requested this as part of a self-dox to see what she looks like on the Internet. I provided her name and current address. For $50, the report provided exactly one additional address and her birthday. The most basic freely available information such as prior address (my home) and current relatives was not found. The report was instant, so it's clear that no real database searches were conducted. But you can spend much more if you want additional databases to be searched, but this isn't at all clear until you've already committed $50. You can learn 10 times more by simply putting a person's name in the Google search bar.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered a background check online. When I went to retrieve the report, additional boxes appeared on the screen, which appeared to state that simply clicking to retrieve the report would trigger an additional membership, and the pricing of that additional membership was unclear; the additional boxes had various amounts. It seemed like I had to pay an additional fee to get the report that I had already paid for. I simply wanted the report that I paid for. Customer Service stated that amounts paid were nonrefundable. Whatever. SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

SCAM... Complete Robbery. By no means give this company your Personal Information. What was supposed to be a one-time .95 cent reverse phone lookup has turned into hundreds of dollars lost (over $300). If you even do 1 lookup, they consider it a subscription and begin charging you $29.95 a month. I called over 10 times to get this rectified and was reimbursed 3 months but that is all the one office could do, they said they would put it through to HQ in Washington, but they are not accessible via phone and would email me with an update. Never got an update. They are a total joke and I can see why they don't "have" a phone number, they would be riddled with calls of complaints. Very disappointed that such a business is still open. Time to go to the Better Business Bureau. Nice not talking with ya, Intelius.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Please DO NOT use this company! Total scam! I agreed to the $0.95 to look up a report and canceled before the subscription charge and was still charged the $7.95! When I logged in to their website to look up more on this charged, I noticed that they put "canceled before subscription" and was STILL charged for it! I called customer care and of course said the charge was none-refundable... didn't even apologize for the inconvenience, not that it would have made any difference. DO NOT USE THIS SITE, ALL THEY WANT IS FOR YOU TO FALL FOR THE FAKE PROMOTIONS. Totally agree with the bad reviews, they should be investigated! Someone please do something so they can stop taking people $$$$.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was looking up info online, Intelius advertises, "LOOK UP ANYONE FOR FREE FREE." Before you can look anyone up you must FIRST REGISTER. So I did. Part of the registration process is entering your credit card number which "will not be charged" before you can retrieve your FREE report. Next thing I know there are charges on my card for a total of $60.85. THIS COMPANY is falsely advertising. I DEMAND A REFUND.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

After pulling one report, their website automatically and disreputably signs you up for a premier service which you are supposed to cancel somehow but they don't direct you how to do that. Then they proceed to charge you 29.95 per month MANUALLY. My bank verified that it wasn't even a subscription based charge. On top of that they don't send you a confirmation email of the charge which has got to be illegal?! I'm finding it hard to fathom. The only way to see it is the surprise in your bank statement. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. They should be investigated.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The report they provided was no different than what I found on the Internet with a free search. The $8.95 spent is not worth their effort. Recommend you avoid this website. Requested a refund do their lack of information but was denied. Learned my lesson to not trust a site that already has horrible reviews.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I recently used this service to pull a report on some creep who's been stalking me for years. What I got was garbled information on several different people with his name. (One past address listed was his but it was the wrong birth date.) There was also no record of the restraining order I took out against him a couple years ago. To add insult to injury, they charged a $7.95 fee I never even agreed to. Like I said, totally worthless. If you want to dig up dirt on someone, hire a PI. You'll pay more, but the information will be worthwhile. Cheap is dear.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I paid the $4.95 (I believe) and received my report. Every email and phone number that was provided was incorrect. I will never use this service again. I wish I would of read some reviews prior to my purchase.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

The free lookup shows they have all types of information on the target of your investigation, but when you buy and pay for the report it reveals that there is no, none, NADA information available. They will refund the $19.99 if you phone in the first 7 days for the ongoing Membership, but not the $49.99 for the report even though the report is essentially blank.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I signed up to receive a report on who owned a cell phone number that kept calling me. I submitted the number and waited for my report. I received notification that said they couldn't produce the report and sent my request to a 3rd party vendor. That company couldn't produce a report either so they refunded 95 cents for the original search. I didn't receive my report as described. I then decided to try my own cell phone number. The report came back listed to two different individuals who share my last name but I am not related to them in any manner.

I've had the same cell phone number for over 15 years. It was then that I knew this service was not as described. I canceled my account in lieu of these results. Intelius then charged me 7.95 for the 7 day trial period at a later date. They claim that even though they do not produce accurate reports and/or couldn't even produce a report that I still am charged the fee to cancel the subscription. This is misleading and borderline fraudulent business practices. This company is a scam.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I did what I thought was a ONE-TIME search for an address and paid the small fee for getting the address. I did not happen to notice that this put me into a membership free-trial that IF I did not cancel within 7 days, I was a member. I left the country after that for 7 weeks so have now paid $64+ for that one address and a membership I did NOT WANT. It is a very good way to make money to have non-refundable membership fees. But they are "very sorry" this happened to me. Yeah-I am sure! BEWARE of using their website.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I will never use this ever again, they sucked me in with a free trial and never provided the billing statement which is so common of any NORMAL business to offer a receipt of the purchase, I paid $29.95 for a monthly reoccurring trap after the free trial ended for over a year! Yes I was being billed 30 dollars a month for 1 year and 3 months... without knowing. I never received any emails under my payments so I never knew. I never knew until I checked my banking app and saw Intelius 2223 some random weird thing I didn't recognize, so of course I looked it up, I felt so scammed, this is a scam and the story gets better. Readers grab your tea because I called them!

I look up the phone number for customer service and the lady on the other side sounds white and on her high horse giving me sass and telling me all she can do is refund 2 purchases. So that sucks, I was paying for over a year... And she only ever refunded me one purchase. So... scam? Is that what you're thinking too because I know I am.

Then a couple weeks go by I'm waiting for this second refund never happens so I call them again, this time I have a rude hill billy women on the other side, and she was the rudest of them all. I was explaining my situation and she screams, "We don't need to give you a receipt, it's in our policies," and she's just screaming at me, she won't give me a manager. She's telling me no, she raised her voice at me so much, I couldn't believe this was customer service. If I could give this review negative stars I would.

I hate this company, it's a company of scammers and rude monsters. Never use their site, their services, because they will ** you over like they did to me. Maybe they'll spit in your face over the phone. I want a refund of my money but I don't know... They're terrible people. When I wanted a manager she said, "We have a lot of people calling. I don't have time for this?" But it's like you do have time when it came to scamming me huh. Overall may they burn. Yes I know this website says to put in a receipt of the billing and I would to provide. I did use their services but these ** don't give receipts apparently.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Turned out only 1 of 5 addresses I have been registered at in this state. No email, number, nothing on my arrest record. Also tried searching for known criminals with no result. This company is a scam.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Whatever you do don't use this. They tricked my daughter into buying a $ .95 trial. She cancelled within the time frame and they charged me again. They won't refund it because they're scamming people and it's the only way they can make money.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I signed up for a one week trial advertised as 95 cents. The service yielded no useful info, so I canceled immediately. Two weeks later I'm hit with a 7.95 charge for the service. They don't outline their terms clearly and are profiting off a shady trial that doesn't actually cancel. The product is useless and they will charge you regardless of whether you cancel the trial or not. Don't use them under any circumstance. I have now filed a dispute with PayPal, hopefully it is rectified shortly. Super annoyed.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The company was totally useless in getting information that you need. AND THEN three weeks later I was charged another 7.95 after I canceled. When I tried to use the service initially it said it was .95 cents. Maybe it's my fault that I did not read the fine print BUT the company certainly did not advertise very boldly that I would be charged a further price 3 WEEKS LATER even tho I canceled the membership immediately after realizing how useless the information was. Use the white pages. They are more convenient and will not slip into your bank account 3 weeks later when you are not looking.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Paid for a one time people look up. The only information I received was the information I had entered. Also was informed that to cancel within 7 days is costing me an additional $7.95. What a rip off.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I am a law enforcement officer so I used this service to remove my own personal information from the database and to do some background checks myself. Not only is the information absolutely outdated and the interface is horrible (you don't have the option of cancelling your account yourself unless you call them WHICH IS RIDICULOUS), but the company makes unauthorized purchases on your card! I looked and saw they made two $30 charges on my debit card without my consent, which I fought to have refunded, along with a random $7.95 charge that they actually refused to give me back because I cancelled my account.

When I signed up, I made SURE not to sign up for the Premier service, yet they did it themselves! Not to mention the customer service are extremely rude and refuse to cooperate! Do not use this company, there are loads of better background search sites I utilize that don't make purchases without your consent, are friendlier to their consumers, and provide up-to-date information. The fact that there's a pattern of unauthorized card charges is appalling, I thought I was the only one. I trust using my card on adult sites more than I do with this one and that's a fact. What a shame.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I paid $.95 to get a reverse phone number. Never got it, so I canceled my account after a few days. Then I received a $7.95 charge to my PayPal account. Intelius Customer Service said I had selected the Premier Service at $29 annually, and there is a one-time fee of $7.95 to cancel. They will not refund the $7.95. I certainly did not want the one-year service. How did they scam me into that? Do not deal with this scam company!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I search for an unknown caller number on the web. The results said data was available and provided a link to Intelius. Their offer on the web was $0.99 to provide caller identification. You are in reality being signed up for a $29.95 monthly membership in Intelius Premier plus you pay the $0.99 with a credit card. They were not able to produce any identifying results, so I called to cancel the monthly membership. The invoice says "You will be charged a $7.95 one-time fee if you cancel your membership and do not use your first background check voucher before [date], which is 7 days from today." Watch out for this tactic. There are plenty of other paid searches out there that are more clear what your one-time charge will be. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 11, 2018

While I was traveling on vacation earlier this year, I used Intelius to find an old address. The cost of that transaction was 95 cents. I didn't know until today that the 95 cent purchase automatically enrolled me in their premier plan, resulting in Intelius charging me via PayPal for $29.95 per month. Their marketing practice is quite deceptive, and do not like the fact that monthly charges begin and are only stopped when you call them to cancel. I know a lot of businesses do that, and I hate them too. (Grrrr... now where's that voodoo doll?)

Original review: May 6, 2018

I never even signed up for whatever service you provide. Yet, you charged my debit card $29.95. I don't even know who you are or what you do, all I know is that my $29.95 had better be back on my debit card by Monday or my lawyer will be in touch with you for unauthorized usage of a debit card. You all are authorizing charges by an internet company called Intelius. You are in violation of customer protection statutes. Customers have incurred so much money on their credit cards or debit cards because they don't look at their charges and they don't dispute them, however I do. Therefore, I expect a full refund of $29.95 as soon as you get into your office on Monday. If not, my lawyers will be in touch with you. The Better Business Bureau has already heard from me as well as about 400 other people. So you really need to take your scam somewhere else. People in America are on to you, you cannot get away with it anymore so don't try.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I signed up for a one-time request. I was double billed which overdrafted my checking account. When contacted, they said it was a buy one get one free and that they were sorry but they would give me a free request. Look you have cost me $37. I want my money returned, I’m never using their service again.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Use common sense. After you purchase your first report, you get directed to a page that BLATANTLY asks you if you want to sign up for their recurring service and directs you to esign with your email then hit the big YES button or, underneath that, just hit the NO THANKS button. Everyone, just read things before you click or you won't do well online. Secondly, as far as for my interaction with the company, the report I purchased had been "mixed up" with that of someone with a similar name in the same area so I chatted the support team. The rep reviewed it, apologized for their being an issue with the report and conceded my full refund then confirmed that I was not on any recurring billing. What else could you need from a company?

Original review: April 12, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I paid $39.95 for a background check that had no information in it. The free portion of their check had more info. On the free info it listed the relatives and education of the person I checked but when I got the report that was blank and of course the person I talked to when I called to complain could barely speak English. Save yourself some money and do not use this company.

Intelius expert review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

• Best for: people using online dating sites, individuals, employers, those seeking in-home workers, landlords and parents.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information