2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

Founded in 2003, Intelius is an industry leader in delivering information about individuals, online people data and their connection to others. We strive to provide consumers and businesses with the information needed to make confident decisions by creating trusted solutions for millions.

With access to the world’s most extensive databases, we can gather billions of public records from government and professional entities. Serving over 300 million monthly requests for access to its databases, Intelius leverages exclusive genomic technology to identify connections between people, places and things to uncover insights that many others providers can’t.

Intelius Gallery (3)
Intelius Learn More

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Intelius was easy to use, and searched an incredible number of records in a very short period of time. Accurate, very reliable, and my search found the person I was looking for just like “magic”! I was definitely impressed, and would use their service again.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I gave all the info Intelius asked for. I wanted the report. SCHARIE walked me thru signing up with PayPal... All seemed to go well but at the final point pay pal rejected payment.. Neither of us knew why... But this young woman did a fantastic job< trying to help. I commend her. She deserves a raise>.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

The young man I spoke to today, was the most helpful agent I have ever spoken to!!! Give him a raise!!! Most reps I have talked to have either been rude or complacent with the job. Your rep felt that he needed to help me rather than had to help me. A true gentleman. Thank you!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I spoke with the nicest, knowledgeable and kind customer service person. I wish Intelius could clone her. :) I think you should note: sadly, Patricia ** and Ellen ** have passed away.... You should bring your information up to date. I have lived at this address for 21 years and am on the Board for this community and that is why I have this information to send and share for your company.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I had been overbilled and had ordered email, and phone numbers, plus the directory. They bundled it into one and saved me money plus the overpayment that I made was refunded. I already liked y'all's service but this made it extra special to me. Thank you once again. Jacki **.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

Most of the information I received was incorrect or not mine. Did not give me any info I couldn't find anywhere else for free. Total scam. I want my money refunded immediately. Very misleading stating criminal records possible.

Intelius response

We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: July 28, 2020

Most the information returned is irrelevant and with many inaccuracies. Too much information about third parties, which is also irrelevant. It looks they want to fill out a long report but made of with no relevant information. I paid a month to get information on one person and myself. Incredibly my data doesn't even show up, as if I don't exist. A rip-off. I definitely do not recommend.

Intelius Support

Original review: July 11, 2020

Terrible information...total ripoff. Most details were not about person I was checking. Details were wrong, dated, incomplete. Don't waste your money, it's a scam. Price includes only what you can find on your own, any additional (though I doubt they would provide any more) is additional charge.

Intelius response
    We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Intelius Support

Original review: May 2, 2020

Hidden fees everywhere!!!! You must read everything before buying this or you will be sorry. First, Intelius site is about the worst I've seen. You make the purchase and then they charge you for everything you look at. Please don't forget to set the auto renewal to off or you will be charged again. I thought they only charged month to month, I was wrong. Please go elsewhere.

Intelius response
    We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: April 11, 2020

BUYER BEWARE. Purchased "Background Check" $39.95, then was offered "Property & Neighborhood Report" $14.95 to give me additional information about person I was doing background search on. It does not. Bought both. Message on screen says reports are good for 30 days. Thinking I wasn't going to be charged in another 30 days, I thought I had some time to consider. 7 days later I was charged for $29.95 "Intelius Premier Plus". Disputed with my credit card company.

Their website says you cancel when you log into the account. Logged in, and that option is not available. No way to contact them other than by phone. https://intelius.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018844872-Why-do-I-have-a-membership-when-I-only-wanted-to-purchase-a-report. Go to the Intelius website and LOG IN to your account. Hover over MY ACCOUNT. Click ACCOUNT SETTINGS. On the My Account page, under My Membership, click the Cancel My Membership link.

Intelius author review by Ben Mannes

Intelius was founded in 2003 as an information commerce company. They offer businesses cloud-based background check solutions that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices.

• Specialized screenings: Intelius offers specialized employee screenings, which allow employers to find all necessary information about potential candidates. The company also provides screening services for landlords and employers of nannies.

• Technologically advanced: Intelius is a cloud-based company, and they offer clients access to the site and their information via a desktop site and mobile application. This means customers can take advantage of services anywhere they have access to the Internet.

• Community focus: In addition to providing background checks for customers, the company is also philanthropic and generous, donating dollars and time to community organizations.

• SSN-based search: The company uses a SSN based search, which provides fast, accurate results.

• Free trial offered: Intelius offers customers a free trial for seven days after sign-up, giving users a chance to test drive Intelius's services.

• Important disclaimer: Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the information in the Intelius databases has not been collected in whole or in part for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. This means it is unlawful to use Intelius’s information as a factor in (1) establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit or insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations, (2) evaluating an individual for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of household workers such as babysitters, cleaning personnel, nannies, contractors, and other individuals) or (3) any other personal business transaction with another individual (including, but not limited to, leasing an apartment).

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Intelius Company Information