Call toll free
  • 1 star
Based on 323 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

In business since 2002, Hayneedle is an online home furnishings retailer that specializes in indoor and outdoor living. Hayneedle is headquartered in Omaha, NE, where they operate a photography studio, as well as, a customer care center. Their top notch customer care center helps customers in providing product information and assistance in space solutions. The company delivers products from over 3,000 brands including their in-house brands that emphasize designer features at an affordable price.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 21, 2018

548 Hayneedle Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

This is a terrible company. We ordered a vanity set for our daughter and they sent us two of the same side mirrors and a lot of the wood was scratched. Obviously they sent us a used one. When we contacted them for a replacement set they offered us a $20 credit to go purchase a new piece with another store. Well $20 isn't going to get us very far and when we asked to return the set for a refund (at this point, after 6 emails, it wasn't worth arguing with them) they ignored our request and 4 more emails later we still have not gotten a response back. Now we are sitting here with a box full of wood that we can't use and our daughter is without her Christmas present. Terrible company, with terrible customer service. Don't waste your money!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I bought outdoor cushions from this company based on the description on their website. Once the seat cushions arrived, they didn’t seem like the same product being sold on the website. The gray color was not as described and more importantly, we weren’t able to sit on them because they were so uncomfortable. I called the company to request a return. That is when they started to make me feel like I made the mistake. They challenged, in a demeaning manner, my opinion of the cushions and insisted that they were comfortable and that nothing is wrong with them.

After much back and forth, they agree to accept the return but stated that I have to pay for return shipping. Again, took more back and forth to convince them that the items are not what was described and that they should pay for return shipping which they ultimately agreed to with an ultimatum that this would be the last time they do this. Their demeanor throughout was not making me feel like a valued customer at all.

Went to FedEx to drop the cushions in the bags that they came in and was surprised to learn that they won’t accept the shipment in the current bags. Called Hayneedle and they instructed me to go to furniture or grocery stores to try to get some free boxes that would be big enough to accommodate the large deep seat cushions. I’m still trying to find boxes. I’ve never been subjected to this humiliating and arduous experience by ANY online vendor. Needless to say, won’t be doing any business with these unprofessional folks and will aim to spread the word. If there was a less than zero star rating I would have picked it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Ordered a dog house and it was so much smaller than a Large would be. Tried to return the product and was told it would be at no cost. Just got an email indicating they are charging me $40 to return it. Order from Amazon, Walmart or PetSmart. NEVER again will I buy from these people again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I needed a greenhouse because the weather forecast for winter was awful and my husband was trying to put up plastics, and they looked awful. So, I went online and asked for some portable greenhouses. Hayneedle came up along with some others and their portable greenhouse was appealing so I bought it. Once I clicked on the item in the list from various places, the system asked if I wanted to buy it and I said yes. The site took me to fill in my information and my payment information so the process was very nice and easy.

The price also seemed good and it was in line with the cost of similar products that other people had. The cost made sense to me and the greenhouse came out as I expected. I like that they have the updates too. Not everybody does the option where you can track your stuff. With Hayneedle, I could see when the order is showing up so that's great. The instructions to put the item up could have been a little bit better but that’s from whoever manufactured the product.

Hayneedle response

Wonderful to hear, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience Cathryn.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Hayneedle is now owned by Walmart. Recently I ordered a large rug online from Walmart through Hayneedle. Before ordering I contacted Hayneedle to ask if I could return through Walmart... to a store. I was assured that if the order processed through WM... Which it did, I could return it. I decided to return it but all the paperwork that came with it indicated that it would only be returnable through Hayneedle. I called customer service, explained my problem. They refused to either let me return it through WM or allow me to return it without charging me a return fee. They issued me a return label and a day later, I cannot print it due to "system maintenance". Deceitful and unprofessional. Please be aware that what they say is not to be trusted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hayneedle?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I purchased two torch lamps in August 2016. Received them 9/2016. I paid $600 for two. Shipping and delivery was ok. The quality of the lamps were not what I expected and I posted my opinion on their site a year ago. 5 months ago one light stopped working but I didn't complain because I thought the one might be defective. Last night the other stopped working.

I called Hayneedle and they said warranty was expired which is understandable (wish I had called in the first defective one). I called Light Source and they acknowledged they had issues with a regulator so now I know I have two defective lamps. They are sending me new regulators, but I am going to need an electrician come to change them. I went on to the Hayneedle website and the lamps were still for sale. I let customer service know that they have issues and how annoyed I was that they were selling defective lamps but all they could say was we will let sales know. I would have expected something better from them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We ordered a bunk bed for my kids for Christmas through Hayneedle. I waited for my kids to fall asleep (in my bed) on Christmas Eve and began building the bed. At about 1 am I discovered the head and foot boards to the top bunk weren't delivered. The next day I called and emailed saying I needed replacement parts as well as my disappointment that my children wouldn't have their big Christmas present from Santa. The day after Christmas they responded saying they would refund us 10% and get a new part sent out asap.

It is now 3 weeks later and we got an email saying the distributor would not ship out the part. Our option are either an extra 30% refund and we can try to "get it repaired locally" or they would send return slips and we could package the whole thing back up and return it for full refund. Meanwhile, my kids have not been able to use their bedroom because there is a half built bunkbed covering the floor for 3 weeks.

Also returning the items is not possible for us because we threw out the boxes (because they said they would just ship the missing pieces) and because we dont have a vehicle large enough to transport the materials. This whole situation is unacceptable. My kids STILL do not have their Christmas present. My kids STILL are unable to use their bedroom. But worst of all Hayneedle puts all the responsibility to fix the situation on the consumer. Pathetic.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered an Air hockey Table for my 8 year old son for Christmas on 12/9/2017, and was told it would arrive by 12/19/17. Sadly it never arrived, so after contacting the customer service dept. on 12/21/17, I was initially advised to go shopping for something else because it looks like the item was lost during shipping. I was furious with that response so requested to speak to a manager. A woman known as Bre took my call and did apologize for the problem and attempted to make good by promising to ship me an additional lower priced table OVERNIGHT in order for my little boy to have something to enjoy on 12/26/2017 while they figure out where my original order was. Reluctantly I agreed because she promised it will be on my porch on 12/26. (She also promised me that she would call me back with an update on the initial order after Christmas once she figures out what happened.)

Since this was the one and only item he asked Santa to bring him, we typed up an apology letter with a picture of the table for him to open on Christmas morning. This poor little boy paced all day long on 12/26 hoping that Santa was not gonna let him down again... Needless to say he still as of 1/3/2018 DOES NOT have his air hockey table. I have called Hayneedle multiple times trying to reach Bre and she will not take my call or return my call. I spoke to another woman on 12/30/17 and she was shocked by the string of errors that had occurred and she again promised to get another table shipped overnight, and advised me that someone would be contacting me on 1/2/18 with an update, and when she gets into work on 1/3/18 she too would contact me.

Well it is now 8:25pm on 1/3/2018 and I received no calls, and I once again had to call Hayneedle to see why I DO NOT have a table yet and why no one has contacted me. After 47 minutes on the phone with a supervisor she stated that she will look further into the matter and have more answers for me by 1/4/2018. I have never in all my life encountered such poor and dysfunctional customer service like I have with Hayneedle. I really wonder if this is a legitimate company?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have three counter stools from Hayneedle, and ordering them online was very easy. I like the way they look, the price is fair, and the quality is very good. I like my products and I’m happy with the service.

Hayneedle response

Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience Lisa.

Resolution response: Jan. 8, 2018

Hayneedle upon reading my review at Consumer Affairs reacted very quickly, and professionally resolving the issue 100%.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

On 12/30/17 we placed an online order via Walmart. Walmart elected to supply the product via Hayneedle. The purchase order confirmation arrived on a Walmart email the same day. The estimated delivery date was January 18th, 2018. On January 2, 2018, I advised Walmart online to cancel the order as we had learned the items would not work for our application. Since the delivery date was January 18th, 2018, cancellation should have been easy. Hayneedle replied on January 2, 2018, that the order was now with their fulfillment department, and might not be able to be cancelled. I advised Hayneedle once again in strong words to cancel the order. At about 2:30 a.m. on the morning of January 3rd, 2018, Hayneedle sent an email, and claims to have shipped the order. They have provided a FedEx tracking number, BUT the estimated delivery date is still January 18th. It does not take 16 days for a small package to travel across the USA.

Hayneedle, in my opinion, issued the shipment document in order to avoid cancelling the order. I hold Hayneedle and Walmart both responsible for this less than stellar customer service. I purchased via Walmart expecting Walmart to back-up their partners. Walmart's email says "all issues must be addressed with their partner, and nothing can be returned to Walmart if supplied by Hayneedle". Buyer beware! I have once again advised Hayneedle to cancel the order as I am positive it has not actually left their facility. I will in the future avoid online orders using Hayneedle, and I suggest everyone else do the same unless you wish to be treated dishonestly.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My wife and I bought 4 chairs and 3 bench stools from Hayneedle back in April. The wood where you put your feet on the stools has already broken on two stools. Please keep in mind we only used these since about June or so because we just had finished the kitchen. I called today 1-3-18 to ask what they could do for me and the lady was rude first to my wife then I was on hold over and over. The final answer was they only cover it for the first 30 days; she said she called the supplier and they can't do anything either as they no longer make the stools. I asked for their information and she wouldn't give it to me. All in all the worst customer service I have ever seen and will never buy from here again... I attached pictures to show that we didn't even really use the stools much and where the screw just broke away. Very sad. Again, stay away. They do not back anything...

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

The product that Hayneedle sent us was all broken up into little pieces. FedEx delivered it and we opened it up and it was made of cheap Balsa wood. Hayneedle didn’t describe that when you order it online but most of it was chipped up and you couldn’t even put it together so we sent it back. And then, I ordered something from them a while ago and that was the cheapest thing. It was my little buggy that I go to the store with but it fell apart in two days with the little plastic wheels. I should have gone to Walmart and got it. They’re also overpriced. I'm not ordering from Hayneedle again. The products they deliver are a piece of crap.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I purchased the Belham Living McRae Mid Century Rocking Chair from Hayneedle. Ordering online was easy and I’ve had the product for a month and a half. I like the quality and the cost was reasonable.

Hayneedle response

Wonderful to hear, thank you so much for sharing Rebecca.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have a problem with your company. I purchased a Keter 213039 Factor 8x6 ft. Storage shed last Friday 12/15/17. Your item #KNAO48 from your outlet store. I found the unit in the store. It had one price on it and it was a green label. I asked a young man if that was both boxes on the floor and he said yes. I went out and rented a truck to pick up. I showed up and paid for the storage shed. When they were loading into the truck. They stopped and said I had to pay double because there were two boxes. The boxes stated 1/2 and 2/2. They said you sold each box separately. Who buys a half a shed or better yet why would you sell a half of unit. I hope you make this right by selling me this unit complete at the price I paid.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Ordered a buffet. We had to make the appt with them 3 times and still never showed up. Every time we called them they never know what going on or where it was at. When we finally received it the box is torn and all busted up. I'm not very happy person right now.

Resolution response: Jan. 19, 2018

A Hayneedle representative contacted us to apologize for the delay and compensated us which we felt went above and beyond. Will definitely consider ordering from them again, but we will plan better to allow extra time.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We ordered a desk for our daughter for Christmas 2017. The desk was suppose to be delivered on 12/20/2017. Now the company says that it will not be delivered until Jan 5. So our daughter had nothing for Christmas. We have called the company twice and they say there is nothing they can do. They can offer no discount and will not even expedite the shipping. Had we known this, we would have looked for a different desk. We will never order from this company again.

Hayneedle response

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your shopping experience. This is definitely not the kind of shopping experience or customer service we want our customers to have and are disappointed for all of the inconveniences caused. We appreciate your willingness to give us a chance to make things better. We will use this as a teaching moment so that we improve upon not only our processes but our customer care.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

On 12.11.17 I placed a purchase order for a Gas/Charcoal/smoker grill (nothing cheap btw) in Hayneedle.com. Confirmation advised to be delivered on 12.22.17 between 10 am and 2 pm. Never receive it and never got any kind of notification/explanation to let me know what was happening. On 12.23.17 I sent an email requesting some updates about item. On 12.26.17 I received an answer, apologizing and saying that I will be contacted between 24/48 hours to get some information. On 12.27.17 someone left a voicemail telling me that someone will contact me by phone to reschedule the delivering. Nothing yet. The item so expected was a Christmas gift. Obviously it is not anymore because Christmas was 3 days ago. Shame that they are playing with people money, time and expectations.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I ordered a comforter that looked great on the Hayneedle website. However, when I received the comforter in the mail I got what appears to be a cheap import that is way overpriced. Not only is it made with cheap material it not well made. It's also priced about $50 higher than it should be. I can only guess they assume on customers not following through with returns because of the out of pocket cost.

Resolution response: Jan. 2, 2018

Hayneedle came through. They finally agreed to deliver to our marina! The product arrived today! Thank you Hayneedle for reconsidering your policy.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ordered a product on the 25th of Dec. Confirmation advised to be delivered by Dec 29. On the 26th received an email advising the order had been cancelled due to security concerns. I called and since our mailing address was different than delivery address the automated system cancelled the order. Okay, I understand automation. I called and verified all info and was advised it would have to be authorized manually and I would receive an confirmation email on the 26th. I didn't, called on the 27th and was advised order again cancelled due to being delivered to a marina. This is a permanent residence, I receive medication deliveries via USPS, I receive FedEx and UPS deliveries. They do not deliver to mobile home parks or marinas!!!

Hayneedle response

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We were messaging back and forth yesterday on Facebook. We were able to place a replacement order for you and this order is shipping out today. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We got the dog house from Hayneedle. Ordering from them was very easy. I called and somebody just walked me through it. They took care of order and they shipped it on time. It was a good experience. Everything was smooth and it nicely happened.

Hayneedle response

Wonderful to hear, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience Zoe.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

The staining on the legs to the mirror is uneven and has a circle of stain in more than one spot. The wood around the mirror is dented. The wood that holds the legs is dented. Overall poor quality. I want to return the mirror and I don't want a replacement. I want a REFUND!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Ordered item on December 14 for a Christmas gift. Did not come by December 23 so I called in panic. The lady looked it up and said like it was a normal thing. Oh we didn't have it so we were supposed to tell you we canceled the order... I had no notice... She said they had the item now... I asked for a fast ship to be told someone would look at the order on Tuesday and let me know... I told her to cancel the order and my daughter will not get the gift on Christmas... Not a company I will ever trust again!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

So I ordered a gaming chair as a Christmas present on Dec. 19th, paid extra for priority shipping so it could be shipped and arrive right before Christmas. All in all it costed me nearly $400. On the 20th, (Thursday) Hayneedle cancelled the order. The money still has not been refunded to me and it being a weekend with Christmas on a Monday, there's no way I'm getting the money back before Christmas. I called and asked them why it was cancelled and they told me that there was a problem on their end verifying the order. I asked if there was any way it could be fixed and shipped and the lady seemed clueless on what to give me for an answer, instead giving me long-winded babbles with no straightforward answer in it. She tried telling me that they did everything they could and did not care that they pretty much screwed me for Christmas. Unsympathetic company that seems to like to take your money instantly but not like to rightfully refund it.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I ordered a knife case for a Christmas gift from this company because of it arriving on Thursday before Christmas. When Thursday came and went with no shipping confirmation, I called the company. They called the vendor and said would send me an email when they got a response. I called the next morning again, with no response, and was told they would send another email. Later that day I received an email saying the item was backorder until the end of January. Why would their website say I would have it on December 21st when it is back ordered until January. The only gift that I have ordered and not received was from this company. Ridiculous. Asked to cancel the order and waiting on a response. I will never order from this company again.

Hayneedle response

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your order. We are sorry that the item you ordered became out of stock and that the recipient as well as yourself was disappointed. This is not the kind of shopping experience we ever want our customers to have. We have submitted the cancellation request and your order has been canceled. Your money will be released back to your original method of payment per your financial institution's processing time.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

My daughter-in-law found Hayneedle. They had a lot of nice things on the site and I'd look through it again. She also found the first desk. She ordered it and had it delivered here. For the second desk, I was the one who did it. The desks came 10 days from the time they were ordered.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I ordered a small dog house from their site and what I got was a dog house door for $25. I called them and the rep said "oh that happens a lot". I told her it was on their question form, the same exact questions. I said, "What can I do?" She said under options I could order the house that fits the door! They want $105 for the small plastic house. I asked for a refund. I sent them the door back. They gave me $16 back of the $25 it cost me. I will never do business with them again. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I contacted customer service prior to ordering two nightstands to details regarding what would happen should the color not match the furniture currently in the room or the picture shown and what fees would be charged to return. I was told the nightstands were the exact same as the picture shown and it would be small minimal fee that would be deducted from the refund and they would send a return label to the email provided once they were notified of the return, which I found to be okay. Sure enough after receiving the nightstands they were much, much lighter than the picture. I called to request the return label and was told $50 would be the cost of the return, however it would be my responsibility to carry them to a local FedEx center or it would be a charge of least $360 charged to my credit card to have FedEx pick them up. First of all this is more than I paid for nightstands altogether and secondly I have no means to get them to the nearest center.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor, after being placed on hold for 8 minutes (which is long time when you're holding a phone). I was told she just stepped out and would not be available to speak with me. I asked if there was someone else to speak with, I was told no, she would be the only person to handle this matter regardless of the day or time I called. I asked for a corporate office contact and was told they were unable to provide any corporate office information. When I asked for her full name, she stated they were not allowed to provide that much personal information to customers, however she was allowed to provide her telephone extension, which when called don't exist. The young lady finally provide a number while laughing with her co-workers in the background that tells you to contact customer. In January my company are making major purchases for several of our offices, however after terrible experience it will not be Hayneedle!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

A couple of months ago, I bought a Savannah Mantel Shelf from Hayneedle. I decided to purchase it because it was in stock and it was cheaper than the other places. I used some coupons to order it and it was easy. It was as good as any online experience I’ve had lately. The quality of the mantel is good and I’m happy with it. Overall, I’m very satisfied with this company. Go ahead and use them. They’re cheaper than trying to buy local.

Hayneedle response

Wonderful to hear, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience John.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a child's chair from Hayneedle - first time ordering from them. I ordered it 3 weeks before Christmas & was told it would arrive by 12/20. It's now 12/21 & it hasn't even shipped yet. I called customer service & was told that they would put in a request to have it urgently shipped, but it would be at least 2 business days. Well, since Christmas is on Monday, that puts it after Christmas day. Very unhappy. Will not order from them again!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Hayneedle has a large selection and a lot of reviews. I purchased the Corinthian Bells 44 inch wind chime a month ago which was highly rated and had good reviews. It looked good and I also liked that one could look into the wind chime and get a recording. It was going to be a Christmas gift and it came in quickly. I was satisfied overall.

Hayneedle Company Information

www.hayneedle.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use