3.9/5 (2207 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I started using Etsy for gift purchasing during the pandemic. I want to support small artisans, and their creativity. I am very careful about the vendors I use. I try hard to confirm that they are a small business, based in the USA, before I place my order. So the onus is on me to make sure I’m selecting a reputable seller. 90% of my purchases have gone off without a hitch.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Just wanted to say the Etsy.com realized my shipment would not arrive by Christmas and gave me a full refund and are sending me my sweatshirt worth almost 60.00 bucks. They did not have to do that and most companies would not do what they did! If you want to shop with a very respectful company and a company who backs up their products and refunds you 100% if not delivered on the date they said I highly recommend this company. Very hard to find honest people these days let alone companies!!! Thank you Etsy for refunding my total amount and going to give me my Steelers sweatshirt! Sincerely Lynette **. Ps Merry Christmas. Ps want to give a shout out to Frank from this company who messaged me.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I had ordered a wedding cake topper from Etsy and even paid for express shipping to have it delivered on time for the wedding. I find out later that it was the fault of DHL delivery service that was to blame for the item being late and in no way the fault of Etsy. The item was to be delivered to me by Nov. 19-23. It was delivered to DHL in Birmingham, AL and was being held there. I contacted them after tracking it on line. I was told they did not have the item. DHL said they had already shipped it to the post office in Double Springs, AL.

I kept checking at the post office and was told that tracking showed the item was still being held at DHL. I was even willing to drive 75 miles one way to pick it up from them to have it by the day of the wedding. I was told again that they did not have it. DHL finally mailed the item to the post office, a week after the wedding. Etsy has since credited my account for the cost of the item and for the shipping cost. I feel as though DHL should have to reimburse Etsy for the cost since they are not to blame. Etsy has proven to go above and beyond for customer approval ratings and rightfully deserves this approval.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I've ordered from various Etsy vendors/stores over the years. The products have been consistently excellent in quality with only a couple of exceptions. I love that so many vendors offer beautiful, hand-crafted items. My orders usually arrive within a reasonable time-period, and I've only had 3 mixups -- all resolved -- where the wrong item was sent.

These are the issues I have with the site:
    1) Cost of return shipping for items which don't work out can be VERY high -- often in the $50-$100 US dollar range, even if the item weighs very little. This is because many Etsy vendors are located overseas.
    2) If you have an issue with an order, you may find yourself needing to communicate in a foreign language. I faced this situation and had to use online translation apps in an attempt to locate a missing package shipped from Romania.
    3) Every vendor has different policies, so you must be careful to read the fine print before placing an order.

4) The Etsy support team is very courteous and helpful once you reach them, but that can take awhile -- contact and attempt to resolve your issue with the vendor is required first.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Had a couple bad experiences shipping outside the US where buyers said purchases weren’t received and couldn't be tracked after leaving the US; I promptly refunded without question. However, stopped selling outside US unless buyer was willing to pay costs for Priority Mailing with tracking and insurance. As a buyer you do need to beware, Etsy Sellers aren't Amazon. Especially now during covid. As far as Etsy not responding they’re based In New York City or surrounding areas where covid has been the worst. In past years they’ve returned Inquiries Within their 24 hr time frame. Low staffing isn’t uncommon during the pandemic in many businesses & wait times Longer.

If your seller provided a tracking number and purchase not received make your seller aware. Read Shipping Policies before purchasing ask the seller as many questions as needed. Some sellers pacifically state purchases received damaged or non deliveries aren’t refundable. My advise...protect yourself by requesting your seller ship Priority Mail before you pay for anything. Priority Mail is automatically insured for $50. Additional insurance can be purchased to cover full purchase price, I believe up to $500. The few extra $$ protects you and the seller & worth it to cover losses or damage incurred through shipping. As already said Etsy sellers are not Amazon. Does Etsy need to step up their game... Probably so. For the most part these are small business owners who can’t afford to incur losses & damages by Postal System Workers or Carriers.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I contacted seller about rust from the ring sold to me labeled silver. She backed hostile and threatened me. The case was closed without being resolved. The company wouldn't help and I won't be shopping here again.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I thought Etsy was a trusted place to shop. I was wrong. I got scammed by some kind of "operation" which claimed to be out of CO but wrote with bad/broken/incomprehensible English. It seems I did not buy quality furniture at all but rather some drop ship junk that did not match what was featured in the shop photos. The shop closed immediately after I made my purchase, which was a HUGE red flag. Despite this, Etsy had no mechanism for immediate action to reverse the scam. Thank goodness for Visa, who reversed the charge immediately. Etsy would rather I had waited and finished out the scam before doing anything. I will never shop on Etsy again!

Original review: July 13, 2021

First time customer with Etsy. I ordered from a seller called “Steven Doyle Coolinnoventions”. I ordered a 12v Igloo cooler air conditioner after finding it after a google search. A week had gone by & never received a shipping notification. I contacted the seller & he said they were experiencing delays. A short time later, I received a USPS tracking number. Several days later I checked the tracking & it was not updating. It stated “usps awaiting item”. I contacted the seller once again & he said he would just refund my money as they were still delays, which he did. He stated he would still send the item to apologize for the delays. I have not received anything. It was all a ruse. Do not order from this seller. I contacted Etsy who basically didn’t want to know about it. First & last time ordering from Etsy.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I love shopping on Etsy but one new tweak to the site is ridiculous. You need to be able to see pictures of the item you bought. They no longer store a picture of the item, so there is no way of examining the items picture, if say you have an issue and are checking to see if damage was evident in a photo. Or to review the listing's description. Which is ludicrous in an online shopping venue. You also can not see sellers former sales, to get a look at things they made before so you can ask a seller if a custom item can be made like something they crafted in the past. If you can't see previous work you have no way of knowing what is within their range of product production. Surely this cuts into the purchase numbers on custom orders. Custom orders keep many artists in business as there is generally a mark up for customizing items. The sales link operated like portfolio.

It's very important that you be able to view listing photos of an item you purchased. I had one item come that did not look anything like what I remembered. So I tried to look at the item and there is no longer a picture of it. I ordered a rug and was about to shop for items to go with it, only to click a second after purchase and the only thing one can now see is the teeny blurry icon photo, so I could not save it to my Pinterest, or see what other items on the site might go with it, That's lost income for sellers. I went to fetch an item description to remind myself of the items length on a string of beads, gone, so instead of making the purchase I was going to make to go along with them, that sale didn't happen. Listing pictures should be viewable until feedback is registered. It's a vital part of the buying and selling process.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Left an honest purchase review for a seller with one legitimate criticism but also praised him and his work overall and he sent me a string of emails calling me "hateful, threatening, and harassing." I was floored, contacted seller Etsy, asked them to look at my review and at messages sent between me and the seller to see that nothing was hateful, etc. The response was "You should try to work it out with the seller". The seller broke THEIR rules; and I am supposed to "work it out".

In another instance I paid $50 for an item from a seller and made the payment. The Paypal payment didn't go through (said it did on my end, the seller said he never got it) so I told the seller that I would send it again and he replied, "You can buy this again but the price now will be $100!" Contacted Etsy (you have to really HUNT on their website to find the customer "chat" option and if you call, you're lucky if someone answers) and two different reps told me to contact: PAYPAL! Really? I need to contact Paypal because an Etsy seller doubled the price when I told him that I'd send another payment because of a Paypal glitch? The issue wasn't the payment it was the seller's opportunistic behavior! Imagine going into a store, swiping your credit card, getting an error message, with the seller telling you, "Try it again but the price will be double this time."? I pointed this out to a rep and was told - "Try to work it out with the seller".

Several years ago I noticed that an Etsy seller was using photos and descriptions for an item that he took from a website that's actually owned by a friend. This violated Etsy rules. I contacted Etsy, was told "Work it out with the seller". It took multiple attempts by me to actually find someone who took my complaint seriously. The seller's store was removed, but good grief.

I actually LIKE Etsy, really nice things for sale and most of the sellers are great, but if there's a problem with a seller breaking rules or acting unethically, or an issue with a store selling something that violates Etsy policy, Etsy reps want you to do all the work, or they don't get what you're saying to them, or you get the impression that their managers don't want to get involved. Occasionally you'll get a customer service rep who's great but that isn't the norm, and lately (even pre-pandemic) you get the impression that Etsy now has a customer service staff of three people who use different screen names all the time.

Etsy Company Information