Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5
Based on 2,253 ratings submitted in the last year

Etsy Reviews

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I order a birthday gift for my niece and the selection was wonderful, she wanted a 80's theme, and they had all kinds of gifts. The checkout time was so fast, and the website is so easy to navigate. I even left a message for the seller, and her reply was really fast and professional. I recommend that site to my sister and my brother, I love it for anything you might need for gift giving, thank you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

98% Positive. I love Etsy, have found many unique and cool things over the years, mostly Positive experiences. I am experiencing more and more Sellers not responding to questions about an item or receiving my money for an item then not mailing it and not responding to messages. I had one seller blatantly lie to me and other buyers about not receiving items after we were told they had been shipped, they had not been. This particular seller would then lie on the reviews, Funny her shop is closed now. Does the administration look over sellers' commitment to the buyers and or check on the Sellers' Reviews to keep dishonest sellers in check? I will keep on supporting the Stellar Sellers who show Respect and Professionalism as I will towards them.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

It is so easy to add an item to your seller list with the Etsy app. Each category or question that needs to be answered is very easy to access and complete, unlike other company seller apps that make it difficult to view what needs to be completed and that you have completed that category. Etsy is the absolute BEST!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I hear a lot of complaining about what is wrong with Etsy. I've been a seller for over 10 years - a reputable seller with thousands of positive feedback addressing the quality of product, responsible shipping and responsive customer service. I have a few things to say in defense of the many wonderful buyers and sellers on Etsy. Then I'll honestly review Etsy itself.

FOR SELLERS: If you are going to sell on any site you had better prepare yourself. I studied business in college and have years of experience but you don't need a degree. There are a myriad of ways to study the market, make a business plan and perfect your skills. Start with your local library if you are into DIY or take a course online. I draw on lots of information to make certain I know what the market is for my product, pursue advertising, fair pricing and to make certain I am 100% transparent in my transactions.

I also apply those same goals as a buyer. While no business is perfect, what you put into it is what you get out of it so I work on my relationship with Etsy. There are shops on Etsy who are sloppy in presentation, don't give enough information, are not informative nor transparent in their listings, post terrible photos and absolutely nothing is done professionally. Etsy makes its process for opening a shop easy to follow but there is so very much more to it than just filling in forms.

If you want an honest review of your shop and have a desire to fulfill its potential, hire someone who can assess your plan before opening and give helpful feedback. It should be your goal to seek education. Before opening my shop I sought advice from an attorney, financial planner and other professionals. I wanted to be the best I could be and they helped me achieve that. Also, if you have never drawn up a business plan, it is a free service through the Small Business Administration. Finally, be prepared to have losses. That is what the Profit and Loss portion of your business taxes is for. You are not going to win every time. If your time is worth more than the loss, it really is not a loss to make the choice to move on. Keep good records so you can back up any claims you make to the IRS.

FOR BUYERS: Every buyer has a responsibility to take the time to read a shop's policies, convey any questions to the seller and thoroughly assess the shop and product. I know there are legitimate buyer concerns and many have had bad experiences, even so many have had positive experiences but why do the complaints seem louder than the positive feedback? Informed buyers need to look for informed sellers. Hold the seller responsible for delivering what they say they will deliver and let them know you are a savvy, serious, informed buyer. If the seller has any interest in their shop, they will respond immediately to fulfill what they promised you. Speak with authority but don't be aggressive; be kind with your words and politely address the problem after having thoroughly thought through your response. Don't speak off-the-cuff - not many people are successful at speaking impulsively.

Treat the seller as you want to be treated, with respect. I have cancelled orders and processed refunds to people who are rude and disrespectful. I politely tell them I can't fulfill their order and then I immediately process a refund. If you are buying from an artist ask LOTS of questions and be certain you listen carefully to their answers. If your gut tells you there is reason to distrust, move on. Most reputable artists will have lots of information to back up their ability to deliver. Ask what their turnaround time is, read all feedback, bring your expectations to their attention. If you are buying collectibles or supplies know your product. Many are the times people have made impulsive choices only to regret them later. Most shops are small and can't offer refunds so be sure to read the refund policy. If it does not suit you, move on.

RE: ETSY: I identified Etsy's shortcomings years ago, some have been eliminated while others remain and I work around them. No business, no buyer, no seller is perfect. Etsy still stands as the most innovative online venue in the U.S. There are plenty of other venues but they are not as successful nor do they have the customer base. So it is in any seller's best interest to learn what they can and cannot expect from Etsy. Their customer service department is not good at responding to individual questions or complaints but to be fair, a lot of those complaints could be alleviated if buyers and sellers would just treat each other as they want to be treated and if they both took their respective aims seriously. That means preparing to be a wise consumer and a responsible seller. It is ridiculous to expect Etsy to field a lot of complaints.

Ask yourself first if there is something you could have done better. Etsy could do a better job of servicing sellers but if you are a seller you'd better be prepared to operate independent of Etsy's involvement. Let's face it, they have a huge investment in growth, innovation and investors. So perhaps they don't focus as much growth and innovation in the area of customer service. Instead, they have succinct directives for finding your way through the mazes within Etsy. Read them, study them, apply them. Then there is the Etsy community. It works when people put their heads together and share information on how to fix things. Etsy reads the community forums and keeps a finger on the pulse of both the buying and selling communities. As I stated before, it is not a perfect system, but it is a workable if you apply yourself.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Etsy has changed my life for the better. I am now selling on Etsy full time and making more than many of my peers are. It's only a good site for sellers IF you fully read the seller handbook and work hard at running your shop. It isn't a "list and get rich" website - you need to put a lot of work into making your shop appealing for customers. However, Etsy provides buyers that wouldn't otherwise find me on another site or my own. Their search tool, commercials/marketing, and reputation attracts buyers and makes it easy for them to find items like mine! If you have had a bad experience as a seller, I would suggest doing more research into SEO, marketing, photography, and more. Also, their fees are unlike any other platform that offers just as big as a customer base. I am so thankful to be an Etsy seller and will continue to be for years to come!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I ordered a NHL jersey from "Frameshop". It was a good price so I purchased it. What I wasn't told is that it was shipping from Russia... YES Russia. Once it shipped, I had to click on "Tracking" to find out it was coming from Russia. It was too late to stop the shipment so until this date, they cannot tell me the carrier or how the transit is coming along. It just says "tracking information is not available". Just crossing my fingers. What a mess. They should be upfront about any shipments coming from outside of the U.S.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I had a dispute with an order. On December 15, the dispute was decided in my favor and I was to receive a refund of $16.50. It hasn't happened. I have not received the refund and Etsy insists I have. There is NOTHING in either my Paypal account or on my Discover card. I have had 10 chats with 14 Etsy employees. I have answered emails from the Etsy resolution team. I have sent screenshots of my accounts. Today I spent 3 1/2 hours in chat or on the phone with Etsy. Their policy states the refund would take 3-5 business days. It has been 32 days and I have wasted my time and good mood trying to resolve this. Despicable customer service. I would rate it as one of the worst I have ever dealt with and I am 64 years old.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I opened up a shop ETSY site to sell my things shortly after it started. I did ok there for a while until THIS happened!! I was notified from etsy that they thought I was not making my own items (which was required at the time)!! I have been an artist for OVER 40 years. They told me I could not sell on my items on their site anymore unless I could provide video "proof" of me making the items! I told them the items were already made; because I cannot go back and make videos of me making already finished items, they removed my listings.

They also wanted a whole bunch of personal information, PHOTOS inside my personal work place and photos of any employees who worked for me, etc. I thought this was outrageous, and closed my account. Since that time years ago they have been spamming me with garbage mail from their site that I cant stop; I cannot log in (required) to get help to get them to stop spamming me because I closed my account. They put me in a retaliatory catch-22 for dumping them. Etsy absolutely STINKS.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I ordered a necklace from a shop in Ukraine in early November. It was scheduled to arrive in mid-December. It never came. I gave it a bit more time because of holidays, but 2 months later the necklace still never arrived. UkrPosta (Ukraine postal service) tracking shows it left Ukraine in Nov, but it never arrived in USA. I tried to contact the shop. But in their shipping details they state the shop refuses responsibility for items lost in mail. So I seemed to have no recourse with the shop.

I wanted to leave a review, but I never got the option to review the item at that shop, because Etsy seems to have lost all record of the purchase. Without a purchase, you cannot review. I tried to contact Etsy, but Etsy has no feedback or complaints system I could find. I tried to delete my account but the best I can do is cancel it. There seems to be no account deletion available. And, again, there's no way I could find to try to contact Etsy to discuss the problem with them or to complain. Luckily I've only lost $26. It could've been worse. I'd warn others tempted to use Etsy to steer clear. It's not a good system at all. They may show tracking but it obviously is no guarantee you will actually receive your item.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

In conjunction with Etsy not properly vetting vendors, this and my own ignorance cost me over a thousand dollars by a scammer vendor. I still cannot find a way to even text Etsy about this. The scammer played their policies perfectly to avoid an automatic refund. I have had similar issues of sellers not shipping products on Ebay and Amazon, but they have effective customer service which promptly took care of the problem. It's like Etsy is on autopilot, no one is home.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Etsy Company Information