1.43/5

904 Etsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

Buyer beware, they will not allow you to cancel your order even if it’s only 8 hours old and they don’t allow returns. THEY MAKE YOU PURCHASE the item whether you want to or not. It did not matter that they have an 8 week lead time. They could care less. Do not buy from this company!!!

Original review: April 21, 2019

DON'T waste your time and money on this site. I recently put good money towards a camera from a seller. A while after I bought it, the person's account came up as nonexistent. I tried to message them through Etsy, that didn't work. Then I tried to email them, that didn't work either. There is no tracking # and it still hasn't come. I would still like the camera but if not then a refund would do. I'm VERY disappointed though. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hassle to get this all straightened out. :/ (I guess I learned my lesson: Never buy from Etsy or you might get scammed.)

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I am a seller and I am faced with a planned buyer fraud and Etsy did not help me. I had a customer who ordered a custom product in my shop. During production process the buyer requested to cancel the order, then decided to continue production thereby lengthening the production time. After the order was shipped with all supporting documents (tracking number with mail stamp), photos the buyer opened the case and requested a refund due to the fact that the dispatch was delayed. I made the refund to her.

After she was refunded she left 1 star review and wrote that the product never was shipped and she did not get the refund. Besides the fact that she received the goods and money back she lied. I asked Etsy to delete this review as it is a lie. I have all document proving that the order was sent and received by the buyer. Etsy did not remove this review because it does not contradict their policy. In each product I put my soul and it is very disappointing when such situations happen and I could not do anything but fraudster buyer can spoil your rating.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I ordered my daughter a pair of fur slides in March of 2019. I still have not received them! Currently going back and forth with open cases and the seller basically. I’m out of money and just have to take the loss! DO NOT ORDER FROM THEIR SELLERS! You will never get your items and you WON’T get a refund either! A complete SCAM!!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I am a seller. I have always liked Etsy. I always heard they were strict and would not tolerate scammers or user abuse. Well I was used the ** word on by someone with account who I do not know. Who has never bought from me and I have never had dealings with. He left a nasty message to me for no reason at all. I guess the person may have mental illness. But due to the safety of their community, they should ban and not allow these type of users on there. I reported his profanity to ETSY and they did absolutely nothing. I would not suggest people use this site, as Etsy does not protect its family of sellers from this type of destructive behavior.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have TRIED selling on Etsy off and on for couple years. I have given it months to 'get going'. I believe I have a wonderful craft (photography) that my friends love.... I does sell on other places. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY LUCK WITH SALES ON ETSY. NOT ONE!!! I'm not sure 'what the catch is' to make it work... BUT IT NEVER WORKED FOR ME. :(

Original review: April 12, 2019

I agree that Etsy sets it up so there is no protection for a buyer. If you order from an international seller there's no tracking for the purchase and the purchase will always show "In Transit" even if you've received it. Therefore, you will not be able to leave a review for a bad seller, and you also won't get the link to open a case. I do believe the seller does this intentionally sometimes. There's pretty much no way to get ahold of a live person. I've decided to stop shopping on Etsy. Something has changed in the last year or so.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was billed for a domain name and privacy fee. Well that was discontinued last July of last year. I called many of times and they say they will look into it without saying I get emails that they're too busy. So far nothing has been done to resolve the problem. When I first started selling on Etsy it was a good. Now they have gone downhill. I wouldn’t recommend Etsy to anyone.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I wish I would have read reviews before ordering. I have had some good luck with a few orders however one purchase I made never shipped and I need to wait weeks before I am supposed to complain or post a problem. I live in California and ordered a pair of $50 pants that should have shipped considering the shop I ordered from is only 6 hours from my home. Still hasn't shipped and the seller hasn't contacted me and I am not used to sitting around waiting for an order to ship that clearly isn't going to ship. So now I'm out $50 and I have no way of getting it back. Great scam. I wish this site had more accountability because they do have cute and unique stuff and I have received several items without incident but it isn't worth it. Not knowing if I am throwing my money away if never worth it.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Vendor sold damaged goods. Eventually refunded. Delivery costs of $76.52 at my expense. Etsy cancelled the order instead of showing a return, thereby not permitting a review on their website. You need to have an ongoing order to review a vendor. This allows the same vendor to defraud other customers. Their system serves to protect the vendor and not the customer.

Original review: April 2, 2019

As a longtime seller on other online companies, I consider my experience with Etsy a nightmare! Their charges of unseen fees are horrendous. With no fair warning, they take money from your "account", any sales are eaten up by fees, and even if there does happen to be a profit it takes weeks to receive the funds. This company is nuts! An unfair, discriminatory system of crooks!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Here is a photo of the bent ring I received. I tried to call this man, who goes by Quincy, but is not his real name. He sent me 2 models to look at with no instructions. Not being a jeweler, they looked ok to me. However, the diamond did not fit into the bezel which had to be reconstructed even though I gave Q. the precise measurements, and now the ring is bent. When I asked for his phone number to communicate better, Quincy would not give it to me, and I was relegated to using Etsy's messaging system. He never told me this design was structurally unsound, but this expensive ring is bent. I contacted Quincy 3 times on Etsy, with no response. I finally used his email and got a lie in response, saying he gave me instructions, which is completely false. Bottom line, he will not help, and Etsy. Based on the past will support the seller.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I've been a loyal customer of Etsy for years. On average I spend about $100-$200 every month on Etsy. After I receive my refund (if they will ever even let me open a case for it) I will be deactivating my Etsy account. They have made it far too risky to purchase from their sellers. If a seller doesn't ship your purchase, it is a very time consuming and frustrating process just to open a case to get a refund initiated. If you speak to a representative in chat they will use words like, "ummmm" and "coz" and then not do what they told you they would do. Once you do get the case open, they want you to try to resolve it through the seller for three days even though you've already tried that and the seller will absolutely not respond to messages. Etsy has completely gone downhill especially in the last year, which is very sad because it used to be a great website to purchase unique and vintage items. Now it's just a nightmare.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Etsy lets buyers view my shop NikiSews only on the weekends! Etsy lets mass produced items flood the market and I have not had any sale since 2017. On top of that, they let Google dictate their algorithm and many people including me have seen views and visits drop so low that I only get very few views and visits to my shop only on weekends. Etsy is ignoring everyone's complaints but they shouldn't forget that sellers made Etsy while it was mostly selling handmade items. Etsy doesn't care about their sellers, now they even have made in China shops.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Sale cancelled with no explanation given. You can't leave a review for sellers who behave unethically and cancel purchase with no reason given. The item was refunded and marked as sold but we are not allowed to give a review. This is a seller with a 5 star rating. How is it possible for an unethical person to get 5 stars? Easy. You can't leave reviews. First and last purchase on this platform.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I opened an Etsy account. Was doing fantastic. Was selling many jewelry items. Some were inspired Chanel. Although throughout the entire Etsy you can see hundreds of other people using the Chanel logo on just about anything. I certainly understand now the Intellectual policy concerning using their logo. The problem I have is that my site was closed down in December of 2018. All of my sales have gone through, but Etsy is keeping over 280.00 of my earned income until August of this year. Etsy legal states that it is for any returns. I have no returns. All sales are done, but to keep my earned money in my payment account does not seem right. Etsy legal was also very rude and stated that they will not email me again. That their word is final concerning my earned funds. This is not right. I want everyone to know to be on their guard. I will get my funds back...they say...

Original review: March 21, 2019

What a disaster my Etsy purchase turned out to be. I bought a chess/backgammon board for a grandchild for a special occasion. It arrived broken. It took ages to have it returned. I was credited the purchase price after chasing, but the agreed return costs have not been paid. Etsy is not transparent and I had no idea I was dealing with a third party. I am now being published between the two. Never again.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Re: Etsy (Moe's Honey). Three days trying to get refund and attention to matter of unsatisfactory honey I felt unsafe to eat. Etsy stepped up, facilitated a refund. But I do not recommend this honeycomb to anyone.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I use to love Etsy. Never had any issues with missing items or incorrect/damaged items... My issues lie in my freedom. This site is trying to censor its shops. Not allowing me to purchase (or shops to sell) the detoxing bath salts for my family is beyond infuriating. You can buy bath salts/bombs all day long, just nothing "anti-vax". Well, I am not "anti-vax". I a pro choice! My children are vaccinated! Why is it okay to sell the "vaccinated af" shirts, but no "anti-vax" or pro choice? Seems to me like they're discriminating! This isn't even about vaccines per se. It's about our freedom to choose and how discriminating this is!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I ordered William Morris fabric from ONSUKA in UK but it was not what it showed on the page and terrible cutting. She doesn't have a sense at all. I can't use this for anything. I wanted to leave a review but can't do this. I think the seller is controlling this so she did this intentionally. I asked Etsy how I can leave a review but they don't help me at all. I noticed I can see only 5 stars there. Have you seen numbers except for 5 stars? Beware!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My shop was closed by Etsy and they owe me money. There is a positive balance left in my Etsy shop account. All outstanding orders were completed and I have not received any complaints from those buyers. One month after my shop was closed I still did not receive my funds. After contacting Etsy support to inquire about my missing funds, it was stated those funds will be held for 6 months. When I try to reach out to Etsy support I receive an automated answer that has nothing to do with the questions I ask. It is near impossible to get a hold of a live person.

Did you know Etsy illegally emptied thousands of sellers' bank accounts in February of 2019? Yup! That happened, Google search it! And since they've closed my account, I am unable to remove my banking information off their site. I do not trust Etsy and I will never use their selling platform again. I do not recommend opening a shop on Etsy. Do yourself a favor and open your own website instead. At least then you won't be able to get shut down overnight, your bank account won't be hacked and you'll be just as successful without having to give your hard earned money away to an untrustworthy 3rd party.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I ordered a cellphone case from Etsy. I paid in full by Visa and never received the case. Attempted to contact customer service and they were NO help at all. Please read the reviews before buying to save yourself being ripped off.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I ordered a tie from Etsy website without checking the reviews of the company beforehand. A month after I still haven't heard anything about my order shipping information. I contacted Etsy because the seller didn't respond back to me. Etsy tried to avoid handling the situation and forced me to contact the unresponsive seller. I don't what is up with my order now and this website is very shady. Highly highly recommend avoiding this website.

Original review: March 7, 2019

3 years ago, I acquired a business which included an Etsy shop. Etsy refused to transfer the business to me, citing a clause in their T&C saying that shops cannot be transferred. Fair enough. So, I've never been able to get control of this shop. Moreover, they banned a completely unrelated shop, I guess because they detected that I was logging in from the same computer as a banned shop. At this point, I have never sold or even listed a single item on Etsy in my life, ever. Now, 3 years later, they are trying to collect $86 that they say I owe them. I said that, since they never transferred control to me, I don't owe that money. They say that my payment details are on that account, and I need to pay them. So they want me to pay $86 for something I have never used. Here's a snippet of their email:

"For this reason, we cannot allow you to assume control of this Etsy account, even if the original account holder approved this transfer. To clarify, as you did not create this account, we cannot allow you to assume responsibility for it going forward. Please also note that, according to Etsy’s Terms of Use, “the person whose billing information is on the account will ultimately be responsible for all activity.” You’re welcome to read our complete Terms of Use here: **. Since your billing information is currently on file on the account, that means you're responsible for any outstanding issues or charges." Note that the wording is that "they cannot allow me to assume responsibility" for the account, (I've never been able to access the account) and yet they want me to pay. How does that even work? This doesn't seem very customer-centric to me. My summary: stay away from these shysters.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased a piece of jewelry the first of Feb for a gift. Several weeks later I tried to find out where the item was because it still had not arrived. A week went by before the merchant provided a bogus tracking. When I complained about the bogus tracking, they provided another tracking that simply stopped tracking short of actually delivering the item weeks ago. With no further information available, I asked the merchant for a refund and they have refused. I asked Etsy to get involved and they simply said an investigation needs to take place. I said that an investigation needed to take place weeks ago when I first alerted them of the failure to deliver. Now, there has been no response. I purchased 5 items through Etsy and had problems with three of the items.

I don't know what kind of due diligence Etsy does (or does not), but whatever it is, it's failing. Based upon my experience, I would avoid this site at all costs because if you have problems, they will not help you resolve it and based on my experience, there will be problems 60% of the time! What kind of business can create a website for other people to sell their stuff, then not perform and the website that represents them (and takes your money) has zero accountability for performance. I plan to meet with my friend the District Attorney next week about the complete lack of accountability to see what we can do to make an example of these clowns for the future.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have submitted several inquiries as to a missing payment on an order that I fulfilled in good faith and still have not received a response. I didn't pay my account in hopes that I would get a response unsuccessfully. So I paid my bill and removed all of my inventory from the site as I do not need to do business with a business that will not answer inquiries. Very poor communication policies.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I ordered a platform bedframe from an Etsy vendor called Peace Love Wood and I would not recommend working with these guys. I placed the order in mid December and the Etsy site stated the bed frame would ship in 3-5 weeks. It felt like every time I tried to follow up on when the bed would actually ship I kept getting put off with “we’re hoping to ship it next week but can’t guarantee anything.” It was after about three times and into February that I threatened to cancel the order and it wasn’t until then that they actually got in gear with getting the bed finished.

When the bed arrived a piece of the hardware was turned so the rail couldn’t accept one of the legs. A friend tried to turn the piece and I even took it to a hardware store but they couldn’t fix it either. I was told by the vendor that it must have shifted during shipping. There is no way something that tight could have jiggled out of place during shipping. I was also told by the vendor that it was an easy fix and to use the Allen wrench provided to insert it into a tiny hole on the side to make the adjustment. This guidance makes no sense because there is no small hole on the side. Basically it wasn’t their problem.

I contacted the Etsy resolution team and they were worthless and absolutely no help at all. They closed the case without intervening or helping the consumer. Overall my experience working with this vendor and Etsy was such a horrible experience that I will never buy anything from Etsy again. I spent $729.00 on this bed that is defective and am now out that money.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Before you consider buying something from the Etsy's shady sellers or dealing with Etsy, please read the following! I have purchased an antique clock from a seller a week ago. I knew that the clock was in not-working condition as she has specified in the item description provided on Etsy. Therefore, I have no claims regarding the matter. However, when the clock arrived and I took it out from the box, I found inside a piece with visibly smashed metal structure. I was unable to position it on a table because the clock metal frame is warped, thus, unbalanced.

I contacted the seller, informed her that I would like to ship her the item because the condition of the clock is not as she described. She stated that the clock was in perfect condition and it was the fault of the post office employees who ruined the item. She refused to take the clock back, insisted ME to go to the post office and file the insurance claim if I want my money back.

Today morning out of interest I took the clock to the clock repair specialist. He stated that the clock has been damaged before it left the seller’s facility. Also, according to the specialist’s opinion, one shall use a heavy duty hammer to do such a damage to the metal structure of the clock. Therefore, the post office where the seller “sent” me so kindly to, has nothing to do with the damage. The seller sells junk staff and makes her money in deceitful way - by misleading customers, providing false descriptions, and blaming the USPS for negligence and carelessness.

The most interesting is that after reading the Etsy’s Policy, I found that the buyer’s rights are not protected by Etsy. They are concerned only about the sellers – because it is a seller who makes them business. Take look at the ETSY’s policy. Click “Seller” and then “Buyer.” JUST COMPARE. LOL. Once you do, you’ll agree with me that Etsy, in contrary to eBay, attracts scammers and dishonest sellers.

A friend of mine had akin situation two months ago. She ordered an antique lamp from a seller from Belgium who posted beautiful pictures of the lamp and, of course, perfectly composed description of the item. My friend’s mistake was that she did not pay attention to one little thing: the lamp was photographed just from one angle. The lamp arrived broken. The back of the lamp the seller failed to provide the photos of was broken and beyond repairs.

That seller was smarter than mine though. He insured the lamp for the amount of $700.00 (almost three times more than the price he sold the lamp to my friend for), refunded my friend the amount paid immediately and politely asked for the pictures he needed for the insurance claim. Also, he kindly offered her to leave the lamp where she was or throw it away. For the purpose of finding the truth, we took the lamp to the repair shop in Manhattan. The guys just laughed at her and said that to make this type of damage one would need to use a heavy duty metal tool and purposefully damaged the thing.

I must say that I’ve been ordering different things from eBay for years. Nothing like the described above ever took place. 99% of the sellers were honest and reliable. I do not remember when I returned a purchase last time. I have never received an item “damaged by postal office” from any of the eBay sellers. I might not like a piece and return it. But never returned due to the “damage.” It is because the eBay really cares about its reputation, good name, and equally protects the rights of sellers and buyers.

Etsy keeps losing its reputation. Probably because they are too greedy for money and allow anyone sell anything without checking the sellers’ good standing. The Etsy’s policy is “SINK OR SWIM,” because they fail to compete with eBay and Amazon, and the only mean to survive is letting such thing happen. Sink or swim, right?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Supposedly it was to be a pendant; however, I received a charm for a bracelet the size of a dime. Not kidding! I only wish I had read all these reviews before I ordered anything from this place. Trying to get a refund has been the worst experience I have ever had when ordering online. The procedure is so confusing and such a long process that I think Etsy assumes we will all give up on trying. Well, I am not even if it takes 6 months. I learned a lesson from this: Always do your research if you are dealing with an unknown company!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Placed an order over a month ago, 2 out of 4 received, the other 2 never came, Etsy is telling me to contact "seller". I am dealing with Etsy, not a 3rd party... What a scam. I will never ever use them again.

Etsy Company Information