1.77/5
Based on 160 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

760 Etsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

So I ordered from Etsy a beautiful beauty and the beast birthday banner for my daughter's 5th birthday. I waited and waited for my product but I didn't realize they didn't send me tracking number or anything through email. I had to make my daughter's birthday banner instead. Turned out nice but I'm very disappointed. They are a scam. They don't have the products. They aren't behind anything. If there was a 0 option for the rating I would of picked that. Hope they get caught!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I was looking for a gift for my daughter's birthday and received a notice that my product shipped without a tracking number and I contacted the "seller" when I did not receive my product. I never heard anything from the seller and he in fact removed himself from Etsy.com as a seller. As I was attempting to file a case I realized they had no real policy to protect their buyers. If I filed a case it would take up to a year to receive my $100 back into my account with no guarantee of anything. So I had file a fraudulent case with my bank, with all the information I had gotten from Etsy or the lack thereof, ie the emails with NO tracking number and several email attempts to contact the seller. Thankfully my BANK dealt with the situation and within 10 days my money was refunded with no help from Etsy. Will never buy, sell or even browse their site anymore. Beware! There are so many phantom sellers and Etsy does nothing to combat this type of fraud.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I am a shop owner and have been for years. I always have hundreds of good reviews and sell very good products. Just recently my store was suspended saying that another store was linked to mine. No details, no other information. As usual... there is NO customer service number to call. You can request that THEY call YOU... And I did so, twice... Nothing. No call whatsoever. I'm waiting hours between emails to get this resolved and as of day 3 the ONLY information I've gotten out of them is that there is overlapping financial information linking my store and another store in Florida! The only financial information Etsy has is my bank account number for direct deposits. Well... If somehow this women in Florida had MY account information, then HER shop sales would have gone to ME.

None of this makes any sense and I have no number to call. I have actually had to contact a lawyer to not only get to the bottom of this, but to sue Etsy for lost sales for however many days this will take since they don't wish to resolve this quickly. For artists who sell on Etsy - I recommend also having an eBay store. I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1 because when my store is up and running, I have good experiences.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I ordered patio furniture cushion covers from Etsy vendor. My credit card was immediately charged $97.30. When I heard nothing from the vendor I sent an inquiry and they informed me that they had not received my order. We both tried to retrieve order information but without success. After two weeks of correspondence I finally placed a stop payment on the transaction through my bank. Needless to say, I’ll no longer make any purchases through Etsy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

August 13. 2019: I placed an order on August 1st, my account was debited on August 1st, I received an email informing me that my order will ship on August 8th and should be received between August 9th and 11th. When the 11th came and went I checked my account for status and indicated that you had not even shipped yet. So I sent Etsy an email through my account requesting status of my order. When I got a reply all the lady could say is it they're really really busy. "Sorry for the inconvenience." She said that it would ship out on Tuesday and would be received on Thursday. "Was that okay with me". I replied, "I guess I don't have much of a choice." Would it be possible for Etsy to inform their customers with proper shipping information.

I then asked, "Would this order be expedited since it didn't ship when indicated". I didn't receive an email informing me that my order has been cancelled and refunded and that it was a mutual agreement between seller and buyer. I never asked for my order to be canceled. Apparently they don't like customer complaint so when they get them they punish them. Is very unprofessional behavior and from what I read it's a continual and professionalism.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Do not buy anything from Etsy. They do not stand behind anything sold on their site. They let vendors treat customers any way. If you buy from them and have a problem, consider your money gone. Even eBay stands behind what you buy. Etsy does nothing for the consumer. I would have rated them 0 if I could have.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I spent Hundred and thousands of dollars before I start selling on Etsy because you need tools to prepare your product. After creating concept, I opened a store on ETSY and start listing them. Etsy just without any prior notice have suspended my account and they calling me a "High Risk on the marketplace". And in the below email they have a "fear" so they have mentioned this - "This message is a private conversation between you and Etsy. Please respect this confidentiality and refrain from distributing this communication without permission from Etsy. If you feel this message was sent to you in error, please delete it and let us know. Thank you." BAD IDEA TO SELL ON ETSY. KINDLY DO NOT SELL.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This was posted on Facebook. It never indicated that it was USED. OLD. DIRTY. WORN. And had been used since 1994... It wasn't till after it had been shipped that it indicated it was Used. The seller said this is worth $500.00 and that Cutco will sharpen the knifes for free. Just ship them and that if I put them in the dishwasher it might clean them up. The case for them is so dirty and faded. I contacted Etsy. They do not protect the buyer. They said I know it's been a long time but that they had so many emails, etc. I have never heard from them at all. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE. You will be sorry like I am.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Can I give this website negative stars? DO NOT be fooled by the shops on here that have thousands of sales and 5 star reviews, the scam artists on that site know how to create very convincing fake profiles and fake orders and fake reviews. I have been scammed twice now in the past few months and have sorely learned my lesson about this careless site. Etsy DOES not care about you or your money. When you get scammed they tell the seller to just take a photo of a package with your name on it and they will close the case??!! WHAT!!! How absurd.

I got scammed by two shops offering custom made clothing and alterations. They kept my money and I am still have a claim through PayPal. The con artist on here will tell you it takes weeks to get your order done, then they pretend it is lost in the mail and that they lost the tracking information, they also close their shops temporarily and put notes out there that they are "moving" shop or "someone is sick". PLEASE do NOT give this site your hard earned money, they allow ANYONE on there and the con artists are VERY convincing.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I had set up my Etsy shop no problem and all was working fine with a number of sales each month. To boost sales I was offered a one month trial of online Google ads. I could set my daily spend limit, but absolutely it was just for one month. So I gave it a go. At the end of the month, although I didn't get any extra sales, I paid the bill including the additional cost of the Google ads.

At the end of the following month, my bill included more Google ads. I contacted Etsy to complain but had no response. Yes you guessed it, the following month even more Google ads costs. I complained again saying this was outside what had been agreed, but got no response. All Etsy did was suspend my shop as I hadn't paid their fraudulent invoices. It is fraud and it is criminal. Do not sell on Etsy as they cannot be trusted. So I am setting up my own website to sell my goods and will organize my own Google ads. Beware, Etsy are nothing but con merchants and never respond to complaints or queries.

Original review: July 15, 2018

On May 7th 2018 I purchased two T-shirts from Etsy. Two weeks goes by and no shipment notification. So I emailed Etsy. Two days later (May 22nd) a woman name Liliana replied back saying that the batch they received wasn't all that great. That's why they didn't ship them out. Liliana said she'll refund me in a few days, it's on her "to do list." Weeks and weeks goes by and still nothing. I was frustrated 'cause they got my money and I've got nothing. I've been lied to. After the nonsense runaround with ETSY I was fed up. On June 26 I've decided to file a dispute with them. My bank was very caring and understanding.

First, they deposited the money back into my account and secondly, they will further investigate. What do you know, two and half weeks later (July 15th) I've received an email from Liliana apologizing how terribly sorry they are and will refund me right away as of that day. Liliana claims in her email that they have stop selling those t-shirts I've wanted prior to me putting in my order and her "assistant" have marked my order as "complete." I call it bull. Just lies on top of lies. Liliana can't keep her story straight. They think I'm just some random John Doe and take advantage of but I'm not. I work hard for my money and so should they.

I am very grateful that my bank got my money back. After this incident I decided to write this review on them on my experiences. For those of you that haven't received your refund(s), notify your bank and file a "dispute" but don't wait long 'cause you only have a small window. (That's why Etsy just giving people the runaround to buy sometimes.) Don't let them get away with their bogus shenanigans.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Purchased a item from a Etsy store, item never arrived. Seller provided tracking showing deliver however item never arrived. After several conversation with seller they informed they couldn't do nothing because it showed deliver on tracking. (No signature required). Not receiving help from the seller a case was opened with Etsy. After several e-mails (No way to get in contact via phone). Etsy CS explained they could not hold responsible the seller because it was a USPS issue. Etsy's rules if this issue happens seller must open a claim with shipping company to resolve the issue, this never happened. Bottom line we paid for an item we never received, no help received from either party. I'll be never be using Etsy for any type of business. One star for Etsy and one star for the seller.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Even though Etsy has nice customer group the customer service and system is however is 0/10. I would give 0 star if I could. So I'm from Japan and I currently live in Australia, hence all my ID are from Japanese government and they just said they CAN'T accept my ID. I feel very deceived and treated very poorly by Etsy.

Original review: July 10, 2018

The reason is simple, I ordered a robe and a month later no product. Tried everything to call or contact Etsy but their response is that they aren't responsible. The seller information supply by Etsy proved useless. Can only assume this is some kind scam. Beware!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been waiting for two refunds for days... I have contacted Etsy by email (since they don't have any other way to contact them) every day, & have not received any communication from them except for the same preprinted description of how refunds are handled. Not one personal email pertaining to my account, not one communication as to when I might receive my refunds... nothing. The money is debited from your account a nanosecond after you order, but upon cancellation, your money is tied up for days. I am frustrated that they don't even have a "live chat"... Groupon, another huge company, has a live chat & I successfully dealt with an issue yesterday. This whole ordeal has made me reluctant to deal with Etsy again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Ordered Buddleia seeds from Under The Sun Seeds selling on Etsy. They sent some sort of grass seed maybe ornamental foxtail grass. I complained weeks ago telling them the seed has good germination but the leaves first seen are smooth and not reined like Buddleia. Plus seed germinated within 5 days... unheard of speed too fast sporting for Buddleias... If seller would just communicate with me I could understand probably accidental foul up or seller was cheated by some 3rd party associate they buy seed from? No reply whatsoever and today July 2 confirmed 'cause a seed head starting to show looks like foxtail. Glad this is over permanently. Etsy off limits for me from now on.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Etsy is a great place to shop. Great prices, handmade items (which mean more when giving gifts). And each seller I have dealt with has been wonderful.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Ordered a product that seller claimed to have shipped twice, was given untraceable tracking numbers, and never received any product whatsoever. Filed dispute with Etsy, who closed the case saying they saw the item was shipped. APPARENTLY, SELLERS CAN ISSUE FAKE TRACKING NUMBERS AND THAT SERVES AS PROOF OF SHIPPING FOR ETSY. This really needs to be brought to the attention of anyone considering purchasing an item on Etsy. The generic email I received from Etsy was a “no reply” email address. GREAT customer service [insert sarcasm]. Learned my lesson and will NEVER order another item on Etsy again. Hope this helps other prospective buyers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

ETSY IS A ROTTEN HORRIBLE COMPANY. Some terrible person stole my photos of my products from my Etsy store and used them on their shop. I sent them an email asking them to stop using my pictures and the next day Casey from Etsy closed my shop and stole my balance. This is illegal and they won't reopen my shop or pay me my balance. Is this what they do to get rid of competition? Maybe she's getting a kickback.

If you are considering selling on Etsy STOP, DON'T SELL ON ETSY. They will take your money for months and months and then once you have a balance built up they will close your shop and keep all the money you worked so hard to save. I work from home so I can take care of my son but ETSY does not care about sellers at all, at least not sellers who don't give them kickbacks for getting rid of the competition. ETSY IS UNETHICAL, ILLEGAL AND TREAT SELLERS HORRIBLE AND THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY! Enjoy my balance Etsy. I am sure you need that money more than my son and I do. ETSY IS A ROTTEN COMPANY.

Original review: June 11, 2018

For years I have been fortunate that the items I purchased through Etsy have been legit and I was not ripped off. Everything was great until 2 months ago when I purchased an $800 custom wig from a shop called Vivid Couture Wigs. The shop owner whose name is Antwane was very responsive and super polite, helpful and friendly. He assured me that my order would arrive before June 7th. A few days before the 7th, I was on Etsy and I went to look at his shop to get ideas for my next wig but could not do so. I kept getting a message saying the shop was gone. I began to panic. I started to look up his website and that too was gone. I checked his Facebook and that was also gone. I felt like I was going to be sick.

I remember he had emailed me from a personal email so I emailed him back there and he was quick to respond and assured me that Etsy closed his shop for some unknown reason but that he was cooperating with them to get everything back up and running. He told me he couldn’t access his customer orders to ship anything out but that he would do so as soon as he could. I emailed Etsy immediately after and they told me that they couldn’t disclose the reasons for why they closed his shop but that he has full access to his account and can still send out his orders for delivery. I went to email Antwane back and now he won’t answer me at all. I try every day. He won’t say a word to me.

Etsy will not allow me to file a claim against him until the 13th of June which is crazy considering he might be long gone by then and I could be out my $800. I did not pay with PayPal so I’m scared my purchase is not protected. Etsy just tells me to wait and then file a claim and they will hopefully be able to get this resolved. That’s just not good enough! And how long will I have to wait after I file the claim? Their customer service has not been the most clear. I see many conflicting things so I have no idea how this is going to conclude but I know I’m devastated and out $800! Never again will I make a large purchase like this from Etsy. I’ll stick to orders under $50 from now on.

Original review: June 9, 2018

First time buyer ordering from Etsy vendor Pear Tannery for dog collars. I opened an account and ordered two dog collars from Pear Tannery on Etsy. The collars did not fit due to poor size descriptions converting UK sizes to US sizes. Contacted Pear Tannery re: problems and they responded "no problem returning for refund or exchange". I returned both items for refund at high shipping costs crossing customs in UK. Emailed company that the package is on the way, but could not attach a signatory because that would have cost $64.00 to return ship two dog collars that cost less than $40.00. Explanation included in email. I haven't heard a word about the collars, nor have I received a refund after all this time. Contacting Etsy to start a case was just as problematic. I filed a dispute with my bank instead. I will never order from Pear Tannery again and I won't ever order through Etsy again. Terrible customer service from both.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Etsy has some good shops and some hard to find items. My big beef with them is that it's almost impossible to find a shop without know it's exact name. If I want to find a particular shop with a name I can't remember, it's a long search. Same if I'm generalizing and just want to see what's available under say, baby girl's clothes. I try not to use Etsy for that reason, unless I know a specific name.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I want others to know I simply had a seller harass me about a review I posted and needed the parent company Etsy to know about it. This was my first time to ever have a complaint about a product or seller while using Etsy. I have made over 20 purchases. You cannot contact Etsy directly. You have to “open a case” against a seller and the only two options for opening a case are (1) the item did not arrive or (2) the item was damaged when it arrived.

Another issue I discovered when trying to post my review is that Etsy only allows you to attach pictures if you’re posting a 5 star review. Trying to find a way to contact Etsy is time consuming and very frustrating in that it is hidden in lots of verbiage. Once you do contact them you must carefully monitor your phone calls because if you miss that call you go back on a 24 hour waiting list. Heads up, if you even find a “drop down menu” with the choice of “request a phone call,” (I could not despite reading and reread in their instructions on a separate page) and you get an e-mail reply you have only 15 minutes to be available after receiving the response to catch that call. I found that doing business with this company was truly too time consuming and frustrating to continue giving them my business.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like that Etsy has new products and antique products at reasonable prices. The shipping is fairly reasonable and the products come fairly quick in great shape.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love the variety of products that can be found. Homemade things are my favorite. But I found that smaller businesses seem to care more about fast shipping and quality of products sold.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I not only buy but am a seller on Etsy. I love supporting others on there, I know it means a lot to them and the quality of everything is super! I mostly purchase supplies that help me do my own crafts!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have used Etsy for well over a decade. In all that time, after over a thousand purchases, I have only had to open a case once for non-delivery. Otherwise, any issues I've had have been handled professionally by the sellers. People need to understand that these are real people fulfilling their orders. Etsy doesn't produce and ship products, PEOPLE do. On occasion, shops run by resellers slip through, because unfortunately, there is no jury process or vetting of sellers done by Etsy.

However, my experiences buying from this site have been largely positive. You will find items there that you can't find elsewhere, and you get to "meet" the people making them. You are supporting small businesses and artisans. Because of this, you shouldn't expect your shopping experience here to be like that on Amazon, etc. You are NOT buying from a huge company with no face. Perhaps consider these things before rushing to leave scathing reviews about how "bad" Etsy is. Common sense and reading listings and terms of use would save a lot of you some time in the long run.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Have only had 2 good experiences with Etsy, the others not so good and their customer service is awful. You would think since Etsy charges for their vendors to sell items, their CS would be better.

Original review: May 29, 2018

A few years ago, I purchased silver teardrop earrings at our downtown store. I loved them but lost one! I found the same earring on Etsy from this seller in London and they are even more beautiful than those I had and at a much lesser price!!! I will always go back and buy from Etsy as they are so great to deal with.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Great site, lots of unusual and beautiful merchandise. Many companies are small, "mom and pop" stores. Many sites allow you to email them any questions after the purchase. Many items are customizable. I shop here all the time, especially if I am looking for something special for "her".

Etsy Company Information

www.etsy.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business