1.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

708 Etsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

My item was not as described and Etsy doesn't bother to help us solve the problem. It give the seller the freedom to close the case, of course they'd close the case if there's no consequences. Seller even remove the item page after scamming my money. Don't trust buying items in Etsy, full of scammers and Etsy won't help you get your money back. Might as well buy from AliExpress.

Original review: April 15, 2018

SUSPENDED MY SELLERS ACCOUNT ON THE VERY FIRST DAY!!! A Knife Maker btw! They suspended my account for two reason: I didn’t mention the names of the people who helped me with making the knives (knife maker individual). My items do not qualify to sell on Etsy! (There are hundreds of other sellers selling similar knives. How come my knives don’t qualify?)

At least give me a warning before suspending my account! That is definitely not a good business strategy!!! I reached out to their team but they didn’t care to listen! All my items are legit and I have a registered business but they didn’t care to listen!!! If you are serious about your business DON'T SELL HERE!! Go to Amazon or eBay!!! Because is Etsy is not the place! I have read at other threads too that they suspended. You're running business without a warning! This is absolutely ridiculous!!! I would be shattered if I’m selling good amount of items on Etsy and the next day I wake up to my account permanently suspended! NO THANKS. I WILL STICK TO EBAY AND AMAZON!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 5, 2018

For a while I made some nice purchases on Etsy from some great sellers. Recently, however, I dealt with Powder Blue Bijoux. They have lovely things, and the item I received was pretty, but flawed. I received a response from the owner to return it for my money back (but would lose $40 shipping - almost half the cost if the item to end up with nothing. I decided to have a seamstress fix it and keep it). She was very snippy and basically let me know there wasn't anything wrong with it. (There was. I have photos).

I gave a very fair review of 3/5, and sent her a private message that her service was lacking, and she needs to not be so offended when a customer has an issue. She posted a reply that I verbally attacked her! I have been trying and trying to contact Etsy to have this post removed, as it is simply not how it went down, but the link they provide for a phone call takes you to a "not found" notice, and their online "help" consists of clicking around and around, only to be sent to forums and "helpful Q and A"s. Their phone number "does not accept incoming calls". Very frustrating. Bottom line: if your purchase goes well, you will be happy. If something goes wrong, they don't want to know, and no recourse. So, just be aware of that.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Midwest Glass With Class sold me a pair of vintage salt and pepper shakers and veiled damage in the photos. When I left a review, the seller said she got it removed. It was a 5 Star review with a picture that showed the damage. I am wondering how she got it removed when it is not even in Etsy’s policies to remove reviews. She offered to accept a return, but really, all I wanted was honesty. That ain’t what I got! Shady.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I tried to open an account on Etsy and I kept getting an error message, they refused to allow me to open up a shop because I refuse to sell outside of Canada, and refuse to set a fixed shipping price. Well how do they expect me to list a shipping price if I don't know what it's going to be until I know where it is going. Second of all why do I need to sell outside Canada and being forced to add a partner when I do all the work myself. I listed my items on eBay in less than 5 mins and had no problems doing so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I got ripped off from this website because my package was lost/stolen and refuse to give me a refund. I spent a lot of money on my order and it's not fair! I hate wasting the money I work so hard for. The only way they will consider a refund or replacement is if you purchase insurance. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm better off buying from Amazon, Ebay, etc... but not Etsy! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE! PLEASE.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had two stores and they closed my two stores without notice and today is my second day of sending email with the question "Why?" and I have no answer. I lost my job without warning and without knowing why?

Original review: April 1, 2018

I ordered a ring from Etsy for 30+. I found the same ring on Aliexpress and Ebay for 3 dollars. So I ordered on from Aliexpress and compared the two. They were exactly the same in terms of quality etc. I contacted the Etsy support and they did not do anything about it. Save yourself and others money, before you purchase anything from Etsy and search on Aliexpress and Ebay and Amazon to see if you can find those merchandises. If you do, the chance is that you would end up paying substantially less for your goods. Tell your family and friends about this too.

Etsy allows sellers to claim items are "handmade", when in fact, majority of the merchandise sold on their platform are massively manufactured and can be found for 1/5 to 1/50 price on Aliexpress.com and Ebay.com: accessories, bags, jewelry, and the list goes on. A piece of jewelry you buy for 1.00 or 2.00 on Aliexpress or eBay can be resold on Etsy for 50+. Many of the more savvy sellers retake pictures of their items so it is harder for buyers to perform image search. Their advertising is highly misleading.

On a personal note, I am surprised that Etsy has managed to get away this far and not come under any serious scrutiny by American consumers, media, and government regulatory authorities. I believe it is only a matter of time before their false and misleading advertising will get exposed to the mass American consumers.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I just got ripped off from this store. Their Items there are fake. They will get away with everything on ETSY. Please do not shop there. You will be sorry at the end. Etsy Protects CROOKED SELLERS. Please. This is a Warning. Once you get caught in their trap they win and you lose as a buyer. Do not shop not even at this crooked shop I am mentioning here... They got away with a purchase I made and they won't refund. Beware. Etsy Protects Crooked Sellers. Not Buyers. This was the worst experience I went through with this site. I ended closing my account as well.

Original review: March 29, 2018

This company closed my account due to items not being handmade. My items were not listed as handmade. There are hundreds of items sold on their website that are not handmade. I shipped my items sold through them and all items have been received by the buyers. They claim to be holding my money for 160 days and will not give it to me. I have a right to the money I earned.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My daughter's shop was closed suddenly 4 days ago and with NO warning and with NO explanation provided - just a closure based on "multiple violations" that were unspecified and unexplained. Etsy will shut down a business with no warning, no prior notice, and they will not communicate with you beforehand or afterward regarding their problem with your shop. In some cases, they may have had a past complaint about specific items on your page, and they had one complaint with my daughter over a tea cup on her page back in 2017. She immediately REMOVED the cup from her page, although other sellers on Etsy were selling the exact same cup and similar cups to the one she was trying to sell. Etsy took the suspension off her account.

On this occasion, Etsy just permanently shut her account down without making any explanation whatsoever, and upon investigation, we found that Etsy reserves the right to shut your shop down with no notice and no reason in their terms and conditions. My daughter is guessing that the reason her shop was permanently closed was because she put some party supplies on her page. However, she reviewed other shops beforehand and obtained similar party supplies from the same supplier whose merchandise other sellers on Etsy are currently selling from. In fact, we found thousands of the same type of party supplies on Etsy that appear to be the same merchandise. But the bottom line is, my daughter woke up one day and she was just suddenly put out of business with no warning and no notice.

It's a very unfair and heinous way for this company to treat its sellers and it is inexcusable. Etsy could easily set out a written policy in which Etsy communicates with the Seller and provide a set number of occasions in which it lodges complaints about a Sellers' practices before permanently shutting down a shop. In that way, the warning process will provide the Seller with an opportunity to salvage the business the Seller has built. Etsy also should be required to COMMUNICATE with the Seller so that there is an understanding of exactly what complaints Etsy has and what should be done to appease Etsy. In this instance, when my daughter contacted Etsy, she was met with rudeness, hostility and no advice whatsoever as to what the problem was. She followed up with a written email asking what she has done for Etsy to permanently close her shop down, and Etsy has failed and refuse to respond in any manner.

There needs to be government and other regulation over online companies like Etsy to protect the Sellers as well as the Buyers from this type of cruel treatment. There were Buyers communicating with my daughter about her merchandise, some of whom are friends and family, and it is humiliating to have to tell them that she has been put out of business. I know I will never again use an Etsy seller or purchase anything connected in any way with Etsy or its sellers, and I will spend the remainder of my life telling any and everyone who will listen what happened to my daughter. It is very devastating to be treated in such an inhumane way, to be humiliated publicly, and to be put out of a business you dearly loved in this manner.

No brick and mortar company would be allowed to do this to so many people - especially the number of people that Etsy has shut down - without answering to a higher authority and having a much larger complaint than one previous incident over a tea cup and a complaint about $3.00 party straws that many other people are also selling. In my opinion, it is ridiculous that Etsy is allowed to run rampant in this way and it hurts me to see a member of my family be treated this way.

Original review: March 24, 2018

The most poorly handled transaction I have ever seen and make sure you all read the fine print very clearly because their return policy if you try to even see if the item works is there is no return policy. As I found out recently!! So now I have a $50 piece that will not adhere to the wall (when other pieces do) and neither Etsy nor single stone studios will stand behind their product. I would encourage you all to look elsewhere because these are very cheaply made and the owner is every bit as cheap.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Etsy is acting absolutely ridiculous. I have recently opened a second shop on the same account with exactly the same bank info, and on the 18th of March had my first sale in this shop. At first Etsy tells me that my funds will be available on the 21st. Then two days later for some unfathomable reason it tells me it will be the 26th. I bet that there will be more changes, comes the 26th. The buyer used Etsy Direct Checkout. But even if the buyer uses Paypal, Etsy steps in and takes full control of the funds, presumably for the seller's convenience so the funds are accessible in the same place. No convenience here as the funds are held for a length of time at Etsy even if the seller has had Paypal account for a long time. Etsy is inventing more reasons to sit on your funds longer while using them interest-free, which is completely unacceptable. Will be on the lookout for the alternatives.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I ordered 2 clocks from IGBY Unique. They are so unique and beautiful. This will be my go to gift forever. I have also spoken with Sarah the owner and she was so thrilled that I enjoyed her product. She even sent a note with my purchase. THIS WAS THE BEST GIFT EVER.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I ordered dishes which according to my receipt I could return within 14 days. I refused the item, returned it, have a tracking number AND Etsy says they will not refund the money. I am working with my credit card company, but in the meantime, I think people should know that Etsy is a poorly run organization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I recently purchased a custom print from Cedar Woodworks via Etsy. It was my first experience from buying through them. When the item arrived it was of very poor quality (nothing like the pictures on the website or the mock-up the store sent me). I complained to the seller who was most unhelpful, I pointed out that the picture he used when enlarged was not adequate quality the resulting image was all pixelated and blurry (none of the details could be seen). The seller refused to accept the item back. I then contacted Etsy who are totally biased on behalf of their sellers. They refused to help.

When I went to leave a bad review to warn other purchasers I learned that because my review was not 5 stars I would not be able to upload pictures proving how bad this item was!!! I am now out of pocket with an item which I do not want and all it is good for is firewood. I had other items in my wishlist which I was looking forward to buying in the next few months but I will never buy through Etsy again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This is a devastating thing happen to me in Etsy on 14th of March, 2018 in the middle of the night. I started as a genuine craftsmen in Etsy and found success there with my portfolio and all. Thing went well when I found out there is this store, that obviously doing way much more business with drop shipping item from China. Using copy paste product image where you can easily google search by right clicking. The price is multiplied 3 fold or more. The seller been doing well and gain quite a lot of sales without getting in trouble.

And so, as a genuine craftsmen, I found this is unacceptable since the price is obviously hiked~ So I started a 2nd similar store, hoping to counter his method by drop shipping and sourcing service in a more acceptable pricing and proven quality that I provide a actual snapshot of the product. An improved version of service in that manner. And in the end, 2 months of route planning and improvement, while I have my first client, my account was permanently banned. INCLUDING my main store. Without any prior notice or chance to appeal, it's gone. With some project even going on halfway with my clients. Below is their reason:

"Per our Terms of Use, we reserve the right to terminate a member’s privileges at any time, for any reason. As we believe your account presents too high of a risk to continue to sell, my team and I have elected to revoke your account privileges permanently. Please do not open any new accounts on Etsy. They will be closed immediately and without notice."

So fine, I didn't check the rule properly since the other shop didn't get closed down. Even I get banned I accept it but, if that store still allow to continue with the same business operation, then where is the justice of this? Even my genuine handmade store is gone and unable to appeal, no reason is accepted even I have zero complaint and good customer relationship. This is Etsy, spitting their power inhumane toward anyone who doesn't live up to their rules. One mistake, everything you build up is just gone with their click of a button. I will await and see if they take any action toward that dishonest store. Until justice is done, I will keep watching.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased a pair of sunglasses and they arrived broken. I tried to get the address to return the item to North Carolina from California and never got their address for return. This company and their reps are not helpful and will continue to ignore you. I will never buy nor recommend this individuals. They are crooks with the customers. DO NOT BUY NOR DEAL WITH THIS PEOPLE. THIS TYPE OF BUSINESS ARE SCAMS.

Original review: March 15, 2018

If you want to sell your items internationally on Etsy beware, open my Etsy shop 2015 and had no any problem with my any customers. They send me an email from Etsy one night 2018 and they said this. (After a close review of your account, my team and I have determined that your items and business do not meet our Seller Policy and we can no longer accommodate your business on Etsy. As a result, your account has been closed.) This was a big shock after all my work and time gone for one night email. The Etsy management is authoritarian and arbitrary.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Kept sending my handkerchiefs back that were hand stitched apparently with the names and verses??? With first the names on them spelled wrong and then the wrong colors. Lol. Wow.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I signed up for a new storefront to sell many items in my vintage collection, outside of eBay and Craigslist. Nothing I could see from the Seller Agreement bylaw that they charge per-click fees for promoting items. And there were no options in my account listings or marketing etc. for modifying these fees, which another section of the Seller Agreement had claimed could be changed. After one week of setup, my jaw dropped as read my first billing statement. $15 promotion fees charged to each of the 20 vintage items I'd already listed! I got stiffed with a whopping $300 Seller setup, instead me MAKING profit off my first sales. Bottom line, Etsy is very deceiving and misleading with their Seller setup and shop fees. Even eBay doesn't charge that much to Sellers. Just ridiculous.

Updated on 03/26/2018: I signed up a new storefront for my vintage and antique inventory. Read through the entire Seller setup and disclosures just fine. Understood the small listings fees ($0.20 per) as is standard with most online resellers including eBay. In process of finalization, read, acknowledged, and accepted the listings fees which totaled about $13.88.

The very next week I get a notification from my bank about two separate charges of $67 and $37 for additional seller fees. Which I presumed to be a billing mistake. Looked into my account to find Etsy had charged me the premium listings fees which I never selected nor authorized. Billing me $115 for total setup. Called them about it, but no answer. Emailed their support which took 1 week for them to respond "abnormally high call or email volume". To go back/forth with 'Ashley' who insisted they don't issue refunds for any mistakes or technical errors with their site and seller accounts. What a load of crap. So basically they can mischarge or overcharge the customer or seller and just get away with it. Not happening. Contacted my bank about the charges and they promptly credited my account. And effectively CLOSED my seller account.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Furniture purchase from an Etsy seller called the WoodworkerUK. Nothing but a nightmare and Etsy are so unsupportive of customers backing their dubious sellers instead. This was a £928 transaction. The review I posted on Etsy says it all. "Despite me providing exact measurements, this furniture arrived far too big for the space I had specified. I had been promised that the benches would slide under the table but they don't as they are the same length as the table. Bespoke? No not at all. To add to the issue both benches have significant lateral movement This has become by far the worst purchase I have made ever in my life. It was to be used for a unique family event at Easter and now that is ruined. The after sales support has been woeful with no replies for days now from Mr ** - he doesn't seem to care."

Original review: March 7, 2018

People Etsy is scam company, they charge you for things that they don't have to charge, I don't have sales, not promotions and every day is more money to pay and they don't explain you why, go to another company, ETSY is SCAM people.

Original review: March 6, 2018

So I listed my pre-owned shoes, sold them for $300 dollar on Etsy. 1 day after I shipped it. An email came to me saying my shop was closed and they will hold my money for 180 days, while at the meantime they reserve the right to refund the customer. EXCUSE ME? I PAID $30 DOLLAR FOR SHIPPING, AND $300 IS BEING HELD BY YOU GUYS. ETSY IS A SCAM WEBSITE.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I ordered a very expensive clock from America. Cost of postage and customs almost doubled the initial outlay. We asked the seller if clock can be used in garden and he confirmed it could. We put batteries in straight away to make sure it worked and kept it indoors until our garden was completed. We then sited in garden. In a sheltered area. Battery mechanism stopped working and glands kept slipping. Seller sent a replacement piece. Clock worked for 5 days and we had same issues again. Seller had no interest in helping us. Opened a dispute with Etsy. As we’d had problems after their ridiculous 100 day from anticipated delivery criteria, they wouldn’t help. Nor were they able to allow me to update my review.

So I’m unable to want other buyers of this sellers problems. Quite honestly I don’t believe Etsy can’t arrange this for me. In a nutshell customers have absolutely no protection nor consumer rights after 100 days. They’ve treated me like a brainless moron, so patronising and condescending in email exchanges. Over the years I’ve been with them I’ve literally spent thousands of pounds and only ever had 2 issues with sellers, both around substandard products and shoddy customer service and both times Etsy have been nothing less than useless, utterly unhelpful unprofessional and stress inducing. I’m talking to Trading Standards and am looking at legal action. I’d NEVER recommend.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I tried Etsy in 2015. I didn't sell anything and people didn't even know I existed. It says you have to spend lots of time (months) to build up rep on their website to sell. How silly. I don't have months to sell my stuff. I sell faster on Craigslist! I've tried ever since then to close my account and everyday I receive harassing emails from them saying I owe them money. I haven't used my account! They keep saying I owe them money for opening an account with them. How ridiculous! I never used my account. Nowhere when I signed up did it say I owed money to open an account with them. I told them to close my account years ago and I keep getting the same emails with different dates. The reps won't do anything. Don't try this website at all!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

My account was suspended, someone flagged me, I can’t believe Etsy suspend an account just because someone doesn’t like your photo or any other insane reason. Don’t use Etsy, wasting your time and money getting banned from one night to another.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I purchased a knife from some outfit called Uneekitemz which is part of ETSY. After no notifications from him (the owner), and only after I made inquiries directly to the owner, did I finally receive the item. It was totally defective. I wrote to him demanding to return the item. I did get a refund along with a series of insults, personal threats, threats to my business and livelihood and unbelievable rudeness, crassness and vulgarity of the highest order. I don't know how ETSY works. However, I will not allow myself to be treated in such a manner. This man, and it appears the company (Etsy) too engages in fraud and deceit. Someone should shut it down.

I am in the process of filing complaints with the Attorney's General's Offices in New York and Oregon. I don't think I have ever encountered a more contemptible, disgusting, vile person than I have with the gentleman who runs that store with Etsy. Moreover, trying to reach ETSY is a nightmare. Fraud, dishonesty and disgusting behavior are something the public should not have to put up with or tolerate. I am going to inform every website and review platform I can find and state the facts as they transpired. I would strongly suggest that whomever runs Etsy do something about this person, and their company too, before there is an even greater loss of even more business. I see from the various reviews out there that many people have complained about ETSY. I hope you will do something to rectify this situation.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I purchased a dress for $102. I bought it on December 28, 2017. It is now February 21, 2018 and I still have not received my item. I contacted the seller and she claimed that she doesn’t have a tracking number. When I escalated the case on Etsy customer service, the seller gave a picture of a receipt that package was sent but can’t say where it is. Etsy closed the case because as long as the seller shows a receipt they cannot do anything. I looked at other reviews from this seller and majority of the customers have gone through the same thing. They buy items but not all has received them. Not fair! Etsy should ban these type of sellers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I just opened an Etsy seller account a few days ago. The (2) items that I had for sale are the same as numerous other things currently listed on the website. However, within 2 days of my Etsy store being open I received an e-mail notification that my store had been closed. The e-mail gave vague reasons for its closure. I contacted Etsy to find out specific details and I received a similar e-mail reply. I do NOT want to buy anything the website! Therefore, I attempted to close my account for (shopping/buying) items on Etsy and I received a message stating that I could NOT close my account because I owe a bill. How in the world do I owe a bill?!?! I have NOT sold or bought anything from Etsy. They expect me to pay them for Nothing!!! Sellers BEWARE!!!

Etsy Company Information