1.77/5
Based on 171 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

743 Etsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

Ordered a product that seller claimed to have shipped twice, was given untraceable tracking numbers, and never received any product whatsoever. Filed dispute with Etsy, who closed the case saying they saw the item was shipped. APPARENTLY, SELLERS CAN ISSUE FAKE TRACKING NUMBERS AND THAT SERVES AS PROOF OF SHIPPING FOR ETSY. This really needs to be brought to the attention of anyone considering purchasing an item on Etsy. The generic email I received from Etsy was a “no reply” email address. GREAT customer service [insert sarcasm]. Learned my lesson and will NEVER order another item on Etsy again. Hope this helps other prospective buyers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

ETSY IS A ROTTEN HORRIBLE COMPANY. Some terrible person stole my photos of my products from my Etsy store and used them on their shop. I sent them an email asking them to stop using my pictures and the next day Casey from Etsy closed my shop and stole my balance. This is illegal and they won't reopen my shop or pay me my balance. Is this what they do to get rid of competition? Maybe she's getting a kickback.

If you are considering selling on Etsy STOP, DON'T SELL ON ETSY. They will take your money for months and months and then once you have a balance built up they will close your shop and keep all the money you worked so hard to save. I work from home so I can take care of my son but ETSY does not care about sellers at all, at least not sellers who don't give them kickbacks for getting rid of the competition. ETSY IS UNETHICAL, ILLEGAL AND TREAT SELLERS HORRIBLE AND THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY! Enjoy my balance Etsy. I am sure you need that money more than my son and I do. ETSY IS A ROTTEN COMPANY.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2018

For years I have been fortunate that the items I purchased through Etsy have been legit and I was not ripped off. Everything was great until 2 months ago when I purchased an $800 custom wig from a shop called Vivid Couture Wigs. The shop owner whose name is Antwane was very responsive and super polite, helpful and friendly. He assured me that my order would arrive before June 7th. A few days before the 7th, I was on Etsy and I went to look at his shop to get ideas for my next wig but could not do so. I kept getting a message saying the shop was gone. I began to panic. I started to look up his website and that too was gone. I checked his Facebook and that was also gone. I felt like I was going to be sick.

I remember he had emailed me from a personal email so I emailed him back there and he was quick to respond and assured me that Etsy closed his shop for some unknown reason but that he was cooperating with them to get everything back up and running. He told me he couldn’t access his customer orders to ship anything out but that he would do so as soon as he could. I emailed Etsy immediately after and they told me that they couldn’t disclose the reasons for why they closed his shop but that he has full access to his account and can still send out his orders for delivery. I went to email Antwane back and now he won’t answer me at all. I try every day. He won’t say a word to me.

Etsy will not allow me to file a claim against him until the 13th of June which is crazy considering he might be long gone by then and I could be out my $800. I did not pay with PayPal so I’m scared my purchase is not protected. Etsy just tells me to wait and then file a claim and they will hopefully be able to get this resolved. That’s just not good enough! And how long will I have to wait after I file the claim? Their customer service has not been the most clear. I see many conflicting things so I have no idea how this is going to conclude but I know I’m devastated and out $800! Never again will I make a large purchase like this from Etsy. I’ll stick to orders under $50 from now on.

Original review: June 9, 2018

First time buyer ordering from Etsy vendor Pear Tannery for dog collars. I opened an account and ordered two dog collars from Pear Tannery on Etsy. The collars did not fit due to poor size descriptions converting UK sizes to US sizes. Contacted Pear Tannery re: problems and they responded "no problem returning for refund or exchange". I returned both items for refund at high shipping costs crossing customs in UK. Emailed company that the package is on the way, but could not attach a signatory because that would have cost $64.00 to return ship two dog collars that cost less than $40.00. Explanation included in email. I haven't heard a word about the collars, nor have I received a refund after all this time. Contacting Etsy to start a case was just as problematic. I filed a dispute with my bank instead. I will never order from Pear Tannery again and I won't ever order through Etsy again. Terrible customer service from both.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Etsy has some good shops and some hard to find items. My big beef with them is that it's almost impossible to find a shop without know it's exact name. If I want to find a particular shop with a name I can't remember, it's a long search. Same if I'm generalizing and just want to see what's available under say, baby girl's clothes. I try not to use Etsy for that reason, unless I know a specific name.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: June 2, 2018

I want others to know I simply had a seller harass me about a review I posted and needed the parent company Etsy to know about it. This was my first time to ever have a complaint about a product or seller while using Etsy. I have made over 20 purchases. You cannot contact Etsy directly. You have to “open a case” against a seller and the only two options for opening a case are (1) the item did not arrive or (2) the item was damaged when it arrived.

Another issue I discovered when trying to post my review is that Etsy only allows you to attach pictures if you’re posting a 5 star review. Trying to find a way to contact Etsy is time consuming and very frustrating in that it is hidden in lots of verbiage. Once you do contact them you must carefully monitor your phone calls because if you miss that call you go back on a 24 hour waiting list. Heads up, if you even find a “drop down menu” with the choice of “request a phone call,” (I could not despite reading and reread in their instructions on a separate page) and you get an e-mail reply you have only 15 minutes to be available after receiving the response to catch that call. I found that doing business with this company was truly too time consuming and frustrating to continue giving them my business.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like that Etsy has new products and antique products at reasonable prices. The shipping is fairly reasonable and the products come fairly quick in great shape.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love the variety of products that can be found. Homemade things are my favorite. But I found that smaller businesses seem to care more about fast shipping and quality of products sold.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I not only buy but am a seller on Etsy. I love supporting others on there, I know it means a lot to them and the quality of everything is super! I mostly purchase supplies that help me do my own crafts!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have used Etsy for well over a decade. In all that time, after over a thousand purchases, I have only had to open a case once for non-delivery. Otherwise, any issues I've had have been handled professionally by the sellers. People need to understand that these are real people fulfilling their orders. Etsy doesn't produce and ship products, PEOPLE do. On occasion, shops run by resellers slip through, because unfortunately, there is no jury process or vetting of sellers done by Etsy.

However, my experiences buying from this site have been largely positive. You will find items there that you can't find elsewhere, and you get to "meet" the people making them. You are supporting small businesses and artisans. Because of this, you shouldn't expect your shopping experience here to be like that on Amazon, etc. You are NOT buying from a huge company with no face. Perhaps consider these things before rushing to leave scathing reviews about how "bad" Etsy is. Common sense and reading listings and terms of use would save a lot of you some time in the long run.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Have only had 2 good experiences with Etsy, the others not so good and their customer service is awful. You would think since Etsy charges for their vendors to sell items, their CS would be better.

Original review: May 29, 2018

A few years ago, I purchased silver teardrop earrings at our downtown store. I loved them but lost one! I found the same earring on Etsy from this seller in London and they are even more beautiful than those I had and at a much lesser price!!! I will always go back and buy from Etsy as they are so great to deal with.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Great site, lots of unusual and beautiful merchandise. Many companies are small, "mom and pop" stores. Many sites allow you to email them any questions after the purchase. Many items are customizable. I shop here all the time, especially if I am looking for something special for "her".

Original review: May 26, 2018

Purchase took longer than stated to arrive, so even though item was exactly what I ordered, I was still a bit upset that instead of the stated 3-4 weeks (in the U.S. - I live in Texas) it took 7 weeks.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a Hairpiece from a Seller on Etsy.com from UK. They sold it as 100% Human Hair & said I could Color it. Took to Hair Dresser to color, and she said: it wouldn't color because it wasn't 100%Human Hair. She tried twice, and I paid her twice. When I contacted ** about the problem they argued that it was 100% Human Hair. So, then I contacted Etsy.com about the problem. They said they couldn't do anything about it, because I paid with PayPal. Which has nothing to do with anything. Lots of Business take PayPal for payment, because they are safe and fast. Etsy.com just didn't want to stand behind their site, and the sellers that are selling on their site. Want to warn other buyers about the Seller, and the Site.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have had a shop on Etsy for over 6 years. I take a lot of pride in what I make as well as my word. I have a strong 5 star standing and follow their rules no matter how stupid they are sometimes. I received an email from them totally out of the blue notifying me they pulled items from my shop. Accused me of selling non handmade items. Each item in my shop I have not only made but designed and spent hours working on. Did they ask me about the items? NO! Did I get a trial or anything? NO! I was guilty and that was that.

Only thing they protect or care about is letting wholesalers take it over. Good luck to them. They are turning what was an ok site into eBay. Another case of the CEO failing up! I hope anyone thinking about starting a little home business is smart enough to avoid this like the plague. They treat the users that pay fee after fee to be there like trash. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Every seller I worked with went out of their way to assist and follow through. I bought a lot of special holiday gifts this year and not only was I happy with the sellers and the site. My recipients were delighted and that made me happy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Artisan Jewelry JKMurano - Not having received the item ordered because I didn't want to pay an extra hidden cost of £20 for a pair of glass earrings worth £10 but sold for £20 and having already paid £10 in P&P. I exchanged about 30 messages with Etsy and the seller. Etsy washed their hands of the whole thing telling me to sort it out with the seller. Seller agreed at last to refund cost of item (but not P&P) once she would receive the item back from British custom. She said she had received it back and sent me the money back. That was several weeks ago.

I still have received nothing. When I tried to leave a negative feedback on Etsy site it was deleted. The worst for me was their attitude declining all responsibility. Imagine if what I had ordered was worth hundreds of pounds!!! This had happened before but at least the (different) buyer refunded the item without quibbling too long. I will never order from Etsy again. No security!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I enjoy buying from the wide variety of artisans on Etsy. My experiences with sellers, particularly related to custom orders, have been very positive.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The description of items on eBay is often incomplete. When I do purchase it takes a long time to arrive and I get email that seems like they don’t know if it DID or not!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I've purchased from several different artists and products are always as described and high quality. I've never had a problem with receiving my purchases in a timely manner.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I bought an urn ring from WispAdornments. The ring Angela ** took 8 weeks to send me looks terrible. The soldering was not filed down and there was a gap where the band was soldered together. The stampings were not even aligned. On top of all that the compartment where the cremains were to be housed was not waterproof. A gem pops over top of the reservoir and can easily be popped out. I opened a dispute resolution case which was promptly closed by Etsy due to them not being able to judge on craftsmanship. They refuse to hold this woman accountable. Meanwhile she is still making urn rings for others. The buyers are not even aware that water is seeping into their loved one's cremains.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have bought from 3 different vendors on Etsy. Each vendor has been easy to contact. They have answered any and all questions promptly. Each item came in excellent condition. I purchased earrings, a ring, and a plant. So far I love Etsy and would recommend it to any one. I would suggest to ask a question about whatever you wish to purchase first. Just to see how quickly the vendor responds to you before you purchase. That is what I do and if they don't reply I don't buy from them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Etsy is a great company. I have ordered from them for a little over two years. The products are usually greatly pleased with my purchase and the sellers contact with me. I only received one item and I was disappointed with and the seller contacted me immediately to see what they could do to make it right.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I LOVE Etsy. I have been on there since the 90's and I've watched them grow and improve. The SEARCH is AWesome for narrowing down what I am looking for. I Love the Cart feature. I also Love their Support- they have quickly helped me many times. As a seller, I have sold cars to trinkets with success. But I DON’T Like that I can't FILTER by Country of Origin. ie Ships from China or Korea. I would like to get the filters to get them OFF my radar. They are overwhelming the products and they are junk that I don't want piling up my search. If I'm looking for something, I probably need it now, not 12 days from China later.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Vendors are very helpful in answering questions about what I am purchasing. Service is timely. I have always found Etsy to be a good site for unusual or hard-to-find items.

Original review: May 19, 2018

The process was easy and arrived in promised time and I liked the product that I purchased. I have ordered before and would order again. Beautiful products on the Etsy sites.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I went on the site looking for jewelry. Mainly astrological celestial vintage style jewelry talisman pendants and such as that. The site is very unusual. It takes you to things you dont ask for not to mention they say how cheap they are. You try to put in codes. The site wants a code for every item you want to purchase. And then the site wont take the promo codes. The biggest lie I found on the site besides it wont take any promo put on the section by the item you want to purchase. They have Free Shipping. This was this past Wednesday the 4th of April. I tried putting in the free shipping code on every item I purchased. They separate item from item just as they have the promo code and free shipping code done separately with the item.

So at the very end you dont save one penny and the shipping is outrageous more than the items put together. eBay used to have all their items in one bill now you have to pay them separately. It's nothing but a hassle and makes you not want to shop online anymore. The items I got one pair earrings from Etsy yesterday they scabbed my ears up the first time wearing them they were suppose to have gold coatings too. And my item today on eBay was so tiny when I told the computers search that I wanted a large pendant. It is so tiny you barely see it. If those companies keep up these bad selling tactics I'll never shop there again and I'll be sure to tell my 254 million friends not. to neither.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I ordered 10 different items from different parts of the world 1.5 months ago (1 item 3 months ago), and so far I have had to contact 6 out of 10 shops. One item I had to contact the store, because my shipment got lost, after going back and forth, I managed to get my item 2.5 months later - Issue resolved. Another Item located in the US not far from where I live, avg processing time (1-2) weeks, bought more than a month ago, was just shipped to me 3 days ago (has not arrived yet obviously), after sending going back and forth with the shop, item will need to be refunded, since it won't arrive by the time that I require it. Contacted 6 out of 10 shops to figure out what the problem was, one of them I had to basically open a case with Etsy 'cause supplier wouldn't respond, and I managed to get a refund.

So my stats are as following after 10 items exactly bought more than a month ago, only two have arrived, my recommendations are as follows: Buy your items 3 months in advance, 1 for the avg waiting time, 1 month for resolution of the problem, and another month as a safety net to actually receive the item that you requested. (No, I am not exaggerating). 1/5 stars - Would not recommend.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Etsy allows sellers to offer extended warranty and then won't honor them saying it's gone past their case system. Both the seller and Etsy raked me over and now I have to dispute with my CC company. I will never buy anything on their scammy site again!

Etsy Company Information