Etsy

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm warning you, do not purchase from this company!!! I had a nightmarish experience with them. In February 2016, I paid for them up front to build me a custom table and bench. They told me it would take around 3 months. I did not receive it until the end of November. 10 months! I've had for 2 months and the tops are both cracking, the table is wobbling terribly, and the finish is peeling up in spots and also scratches super easy. They refuse to refund my money and now they are ignoring me. Etsy is just as bad. They won't help me in any way either. So I'm stuck with a busted table, cracked bench, and over $2,000 wasted. GROVER GROVE is bad news!!!

Have been a seller on Etsy for a little over a year with 300+ sales (most all multiple item). Put forth countless hours into my shop making sure pictures, SEO, etc. was "perfect." It seemed to be going so well I took the profit I had made and invested a ton of money into a huge assortment of craft supplies, a Circuit, heat press machine and everything I thought I could possibly need for a successful Etsy business.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until Christmas season hit. My biggest seller is hand painted ornaments. I had 1 initial complaint due to a lost package (not surprising with how hectic USPS can get during holiday season). I resent the lost packages completely free and gave the buyer a full refund. A few weeks later, I had another issue with a lost package. A case was open & I received an email from Etsy my shop had been permanently suspended due to 2 recent cases. I tracked the 2nd package and it showed as delivered!!

I contacted Etsy regarding this and was basically told, "Too bad." I contacted the buyer and after giving me the runaround finally admitted she had spent too much on Christmas gifts and was just looking for a refund (& essentially free item). I screenshot this and sent to Etsy -- yet again was basically told, "Too bad." They are also holding my funds (which was several thousand dollars) for 6 months. Keep in mind I shipped out approx. 80 packages throughout Dec and received numerous 5 star reviews. None of this was even considered. My shop was closed not due to problems with products, copyright or other issues as I've seen other complaints about. It was closed simply for 1 lost package I corrected (& over compensated for), and 1 package falsely claimed as not delivered by someone trying to scam for free item.

I have tried countless times contacting them with no response. I had way over 100 listings they kept all listing fees and paid advertising. I've invested a ton of time, effort and money in this shop for it to unreasonably be shut down. Of course the more packages you ship, the higher the chance something will be lost (especially during holidays). I did not have all of the descriptions saved on all of these listings. So now will have to start completely over with measurements, etc.

I read another review "don't put all of your eggs in one basket" and that is something I agree with. I never dreamed my Etsy shop would be closed so unexpectedly over such menial things. I had no warning whatsoever. Now I'm out of a lot of shipping, supplies, etc I will not see payment for 6 months. Most importantly out a LOT of time. Not only time making products, but time invested in my fruitless efforts of contacting Etsy and debating over this decision, to no avail. If you are considering selling online -- do not waste your time here!

I placed an order, then was contacted by the seller to say the order did not go through. I tried to explain I had a confirmation but she insisted I must do it again, which I did. As it turns out the original did go through but with another seller for the same item. And then that order took 30 days for me to receive it as it was missent. So now I have 2 identical items and paid for 2, and I only need 1. Etsy will hold no responsibility for the double order, only giving the same not really our responsibility answer as described by others. My advice is not to shop Etsy.

They are very very rude in and not professional. To have a business that you can communicate with is asinine. I have been on eBay for years... when there is a problem you can speak to a human... may have to get through a language barrier... but they are human. Esty seem as though they do not want to make money... shutting people down when they are generating money on items they are truly making. What gives Etsy the right to think one is not making them. I was shut down as well as many other and they made money on me as well. I made the wigs I sell and the jewelry earrings. But you know... their lack of professionalism will eventually catch up with them. And yes I know many of the people selling on Etsy. I know first hand they are resellers. They stopped my income this Xmas as well. But it is ALL good. Etsy days are numbered. I am actually glad to be rid of them. Go to Bonanza.com... good site.

Terrible service. I ordered a shirt on the 2nd of Dec. It did not arrive until the 3rd of Jan. It was suppose to be a birthday Christmas present. The seller (**) of the shirt only responded to 1 of many messages. I could not get a tracking number, was only told it was coming from uk and to be patient. I started a case with etsy and was told I had to wait a week before I could escalate it, after that week I was going to have to wait another week before it could be resolved. I strongly suggest not to order thru this site.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Renae ** at renaestreasurechest - jewelry vendor. Item was not delivered, she cannot supply shipping info even though she promised she would, and will not refund my $ unless she gets the item back. I'm out the item and my $. She was slow to answer my first emails. She told me I was cheap because I took the free shipping and blamed holiday mail for all the delays! It's been 3 weeks! I have all the emails as evidence.

I was injured by a antique metal phonograph that was sent to me without packing material in the phonograph box. When I opened the antique phonograph box, broken record shards, rusty needles, screws and the reproducer metal head fell from it. I was injured. It was like the Etsy seller sent me a type of bomb. I informed Etsy what this seller had done.

Etsy sent me a email totally ignoring the facts and tells me the item must have been damaged in shipping. Etsy has no intention on taking any action regarding the seller and the fact I was injured. Etsy tries to distant themselves and ignore the issue. This is unacceptable. No action whatsoever was taken against the seller that did this through Etsy.

If your seller dupes you, you are out of luck. Etsy will NOT help in any which way. By and large, Etsy works if the sellers care about their reputation. Etsy has a terrible system where they protect the sellers and not the buyers. I lost several $$$ because Etsy would NOT help me get my money back for a damaged item shipped to me. My advice: AVOID ETSY. Find the seller and the item - message the seller directly and buy from their website if you must. I refuse to support such a terrible business.

Libelled by Etsy - Received a very curt email from Etsy saying my shop was being closed down and my account suspended due to copyright infringement. Etsy refused to provide any reply to any request for proof or evidence to support their libel claim. Quite amazing given I've never even had an Etsy store. Not only terrible customer service but they are libelous accusing their customers and providing no avenue to prove otherwise.

Liars, thieves, scams, and Etsy lets it go on for years. Etsy is the pits. Etsy stinks as a company. If you can call it that. And retarded morons answer the phones. Flunkies of the worst ignorant kind. Go elsewhere. You won't have hassles with scumbag sellers like Cestsla...a scammer jeweler in nyc. Don't use her. She is a liar and a thief! Jewelry is fake!

I ordered these items on 11/3. They were mailed out 11/28, tracking was provided and anticipated delivery was 12/2. 12/9 I contacted the local post office and placed tracking on the item stating it was missing. I also went online and placed tracking with email and text updates. On 12/10 I submitted a missing mail request. I contacted the seller explaining what was going on and her response was "once it's shipped the seller is not responsible." She would not believe that I submitted tracking requests and called the post office stating "tracking is not showing, that there was a call made and asked to track" even though I submitted screenshots of the confirmations to her. Then her response became "it went missing somewhere near you." Missing is missing regardless.

I paid for an item and did not receive it. I requested a refund or a replacement item and her response was "personalized orders are not refundable." I contacted Etsy and they stated that there was nothing they could do because once it is shipped all the seller has to do is provide tracking and they're in the clear. I also submitted a complaint and request for refund through PayPal and have yet to hear back.

I placed an order, never received confirmation or a tracking number. Since this order was a Christmas present I started to wonder about my order so I called the company and left a message. My husband also called. Both calls no return call. I also e-mailed Etsy 2 times. Also no response. This sent me a red flag to check my credit account. It turned out not only did they charge my account they also put a recurring charge where I would be billed $28.59 each month. This company is a scam and should be put out of business, also criminal charges. I also saw on the news yesterday that Esty plans on opening stores. They need to be stopped. This company is so bad they deserve 0 stars.

Regarding my Etsy account, my email address was changed without my authorization. Consequently, over $300.00 of Etsy merchandise was charged to my credit card this month (December 2016) without my authorization. I contacted Etsy by email, but their only response was that they would look into it. I have heard nothing further. I will never order products from Etsy again and will share this experience with family, friends, and business associates.

I tried to order an item and ran into a circular loop that had me unable to change credit card numbers. Repeated e-mails and attempts to ask for help were ignored. Extremely frustrating. I gave up and cancelled the order. Just awful.

I opened a business at ETSY and after 2 years when my shop was doing well the closed me down with no warning claiming that my products did not meet their handmade Policy just before the holidays. They would not work with me to get the matter resolved. When I told them that most of their accounts are selling product from Ali Express and EBAY they said they did not care, that I was to follow policies. This company is the worst company I have ever known. No Ethic and with no shame. They even have a department called the Integrity. Wow they have some nerve. They have 2 sets of rules and very unfair with their customers. Be very careful with this company - no morals.

I purchased a dress and shirt from a seller at Etsy. She made these items and sent to me. I told her what size and she insisted I give her my measurements. I gave. She made. They were the wrong size. I couldn’t get the dress over my hips to try on… and the shirt was skin tight. I contacted her for fix. She agreed to fix… it cost me almost $100.00 to send back to her, while it only cost her $30.00 to send to me. She wanted me to pay for the return back to me after she fixed. I told her I would give her the $30.00 and let her send rather than I pay outrageous charges to have it picked up... She acknowledged that she received my goods, but never contacted me to send back. I contacted her many times and no response.

After a few months, I filed a complaint with Etsy. They contacted me as if they were we concerned and wanted to help, but each update they gave me was the same as before. It was like a robot was sending the messages. They never responded to anything I said during the resolution process. They finally decided that since I won’t cooperate, they will block me from the website and close my case. Therefore I am out of about $300.00 and no one cares, not the lady with my clothes or Esty, her representative.

Etsy closed my shop for 'not selling handmade items'. I sell faux fur cosplay tails, I can't even contact them to send photo of me making the tails as proof. They have ignored my emails and have taken off the request a phone call facility. It's no wonder their share prices are dropping as their customer service is horrendous. It's 4 weeks until X-mas, I now have no income as I worked on Etsy full time with over 2k sales to my name. Thanks Etsy and shame on you! I intend to share this view on every possible review site and social media to spread the word. Feel free to message me and vent fellow ex-Etsy people.

Was shut down with no explanation, loss of income and no reason why. They say my items are not handmade. Don't quite understand their handmade policies as there are a lot of sellers on there that are buying from Ali Baba and reselling and a lot of wholesalers that are using others to resell their products. Etsy have no morals and no ethics and feel that they can open and shut shops as they see fit with no thought for others. Etsy has one rule for some and one rule for another. Was not going to review them but they need to know how many peoples’ lives they are destroying and hopefully someone will have the courage one day to take them to court.

I have tried everything to find out what their reasons were and still no response. They have a holier than thou attitude which needs to be addressed. I was threatened by members to the point of no sleep and scared. They chose to ignore it and the member is still selling on their site even after numerous complaints. They are selfish, ignorant people who don't care as long as it doesn't affect them or their business. Stay away.

My credit card information was stolen and and the thief went on an online shopping spree. One of the things they purchased was something on etsy.com. Etsy, however, does not have an working phone number online to call so I can try to find out where the items the thief purchased was being shipped to. Now I am completely distrust this website due to lack of a proper customer service phone number.

Prior to April 2016 of this year, I was making an extremely comfortable living with my Etsy shop, which has been opened since 2011. So comfortable, in fact, that I quit my "day job" completely and my entire household could live off of my Etsy income alone. Unfortunately, as of April 2016, Etsy implemented extreme algorithm changes that essentially "spread the love". In other words, despite good pictures, good SEO, or good tags and titles, you can be pushed down by Etsy in search in order to give other sellers a chance to sell, who may have horrible pictures, horrible tags and titles, etc. This has caused most Etsy shops, including my own, to lose somewhere between 40 to 60 percent of their revenue. Successful sellers are now having to go find outside work because Etsy is artificially manipulating the search algorithm to fit their own agenda.

To say this has been devastating would be an understatement. The sudden loss in revenue caused me to get behind in every bill I have, and I lost my home. Luckily, I was able to find a small place just before I was expelled onto the street with my family. My savings, my nest egg, everything is gone. I had to find outside full time work for the first time in years. It barely pays half of what I was making on Etsy prior to these changes. To make this even worse, Etsy refuses to acknowledges that they have actually changed or done anything to the search algorithm. So while there are hundreds of sellers drowning and losing their livelihoods, Etsy keeps dropping benefits and forcing you to purchase them if you want even a chance of being seen in search. It's so sketchy, so vile, and now I've had to start all over from the ground up on other sites, including my own website.

I bought 3 dolls from TheCrochetMagicShop, www.crochetmagic.com.au and doll measurements were wrong by 3-4cm and custom-made eyes were warp shaped instead of nicely round. After opening case with Etsy.com as seller was rude, would not admit any mistake in measurements or do a partial refund. I have been waiting for a decision for soon 1 month. Etsy has been asking for pictures from me non-stop with no decision made. I suppose they just mean to ask me for pictures 10,000 times without making any decision. Would advise not to buy from Etsy.com as it's hard to get any refund if item is not as described.

Seller policies are also return item at own cost even if item is not as described, that's just own loss to buyer then and no risk for seller to just send out any rubbish product. If one uses PayPal to pay maybe there is means of recourse to get money back. I'm not sure just guessing, but if via Etsy.com money is probably gone forever if order goes wrong and seller is dishonest. Ebay is really much better so is Amazon.com.

Much like Etsy's relationship with its buyers, they treat their sellers with just as much neglect. Setting up an account is easy and the site looks very inviting with its sea of "successful" sellers. But don't be fooled by this mask. Etsy has a reputation for ignoring their buyers and neglecting their sellers. When it comes to provably false reviews and policy violations, Etsy is the first to refuse to enforce their own policies. Contacting the support team for any problems you may have is also a challenge. After opening 33 tickets on their support page and sending 21 emails to their support team, eventually (2 weeks later) I get a response from "Kieth" whose response in short was basically, "we don't care, hope you understand." If you are looking for a selling platform I strongly advise looking anywhere else or seriously consider your own website and investing google ads. You will be much better off financially and will benefit from a much more stable business.

I purchased a custom item from WORDOLOGY and her name was Marina (If that was even her real name). It has been over a month and nothing. I also paid her an extra $50 via PayPal. I ordered this on 10/11/16 and it is now 11/7/16 and I tried to contact the seller via Etsy and she does not exist anymore. There is NO customer service number for Etsy so basically you write them an email and they call you back. This is the worst experience I have ever dealt with. The post office says it was shipped on 10/21/16 and it is still in Chicago but where is it? And investigator also contacted me from USPS and they have no clue where the package is. What is going on?! Needless to say I am heading to my bank now to find out more information. If I can give ETSY zero stars I def would.

I purchased an item on June 28, 2016 from TreasuresBoutique24, Appalachian Artisans, Martinsburg, WV. They claimed that they had sent the product in August and it was returned because of damage in August. They agreed to make the product again and resend it. It is now November 5, 2016 and they have not sent the item or responded to my e-mails. I contacted Etsy. They claim that since the company claimed they sent it July 15, 2016 and the 60 day complaint period was up, they would not pursue the claim. No proof was needed by Etsy that the company actually sent it. They just took their word.

The vendor is no longer on Etsy and I am assuming that the company was actually a scam endorsed by Etsy. They gave me an e-mail contact and I tried that but no response. I have also contacted my credit card to report fraud. I will not use Etsy again because they do not support the buyers when there is a valid complaint. I should have checked the Consumer Affairs website before I purchased anything. As I am now reading, there have been many valid complaints about the companies endorsed by Etsy.

My shop was shut down like so many other complaints on here. They said "it was due to a copyright issue". Well, what if you know the items in question are in fact not copyright, if you can't actually find it, the person claiming it doesn't respond, and changes their email to anonymous. Etsy doesn't ask you anything. They just take "someone's" word for it. That "someone could be a competitor trying to get rid of you, your ex friend, boyfriend or anyone really. You could stop reading this and go put someone and their shop through the ringer, and the third time they will be closed. That's it. What a horrible way to conduct a business, no integrity at all. Etsy has no idea who they are or what they stand for. Also, I feel as though it's kind of a scam too. They took my digital files. I am a graphic designer who paints one of a kind unique clip art, that can be used to make invitations, and so much more.

They probably just target people and take their stuff. As if I have time to check their listings to see if they are reselling stuff. I seriously doubt they just discard it. Why would they say it's their intellectual property??? It's because they take it. They also take your last sales in which I could care less, because it was that big of a deposit coming my way. What they do is take your money, and claim you still owe them for the listings. As if to say because of this one person that keeps stalking my shop, then I guess that means all of my listings are fraudulent. What a joke this company is. I read some reviews last night below me and one person said, she seen many other stores selling the exact same thing. Well guess what... me too. That's the lack of integrity I am talking about.

If you’re really concerned about a copyright such as "kill this cup not my vibe" and "Drink up Buttercup" but yet you can go to their site and search drink up buttercup motivational water bottle SVG (it's for cutting machines) still dozens of sellers selling it, why is that you might ask? It's because it's not a copyright item. Don't waste your time selling on here. They can just decide when to pull the plug as they say. Luckily I had great teachers that always told me to back up my work and I will be creating my own site. I have a mini following now due to my social media accounts. PayPal is always an option. I am moving on and taking this mishap as a lesson learned to not necessarily rely on these online companies in which you technically don't own your store they do. They even go as far as to block you from posting on the forums while they ban you so that you can't share it with anyone.

I will use one of the computers from somewhere and make an account to let my voice be heard. This is ridiculous. They never asked me for proof on my side nor did they show proof of copyright, in which they should have to because they are in business to help others make one themselves. So they have it all wrong. It is 2016 people. Do things just because they can and Etsy needs to get some integrity and clean up their "copyright issues" in which they are not on top of. They don't really care, go on their site and look up Elsa from Frozen or when Pokemon was huge that should be one of their departments if they really care weeding out that kind of stuff. You wonder why they don't do that it's because they don't care, they have gotten too big to care about the lil' guy. Oh well moving on to my other sites I sell on with better reviews and nowhere near the amount of complaints Etsy has. I hope they get sued.

Hopefully this helps someone if only one, that's good enough for me?? At first I was upset. Now I am grateful that this happened when it did! Most importantly don't ever put all your eggs in one basket. Luckily my Mac saves everything in the trash and I have files that I thought were lost. Shame on you Etsy for your lack of integrity and horrible way on conducting business. Just prepare yourself because one day you may log in and find the message below and then what do you do? Always have a backup plan. I also shared the picture of my banner as proof that I had a shop because once they wipe your shop off the face of the earth your reviews go along with them so make sure you record them for your records too so you have them to show if need be one day. If this post only helps one individual I will be happy with that just one person that I have helped.

This review is regarding the actual Etsy online shop company, not the many sellers that use the vehicle to sell their products. I've only had good experiences with the sellers. The Etsy company is at best DMCA troll lackeys and at worst, scammers of their own sellers and those who use their service to sell products. They issue "warnings" to sellers about their products that other companies and copyright holders claim to "infringe" on their holdings even when said item may be a resell of a used vintage (1970) item (completely legal), and offer no recourse and vague legal path to lift the warning. The seller on Etsy is at the mercy of the copyright holders whose lawyers (many which are keyword bots) are more interested in issuing warnings to abuse DMCA instead of treating each unique case on a case by case basis.

Etsy, instead of protecting their customer (the sellers who use their service and pay their fees) will close down your accounts after these warning with no refund on the listing fees, even then 1: you've complied with the copyright holder and modified the item to lift the complaint, and 2: when the complaint is completely bogus such as on a vintage item that is merely being resold. The problem with Etsy's treatment of their sellers become especially problematic when some of these copyright holdings are completely unpredictable without an army of copyright lawyers researching the item you want to make and sell may "infringe" on the thousands of copyright holdings of thousands of companies.

So if you want to sell fan made items about some popular movie, it becomes not a matter of if you’re be issued a warning, but when – and when your store will rack up enough of these "warnings" that Etsy will close your account and make off with ALL the listing fees you've spent. If you're thinking about using Etsy to sell, DON'T. Use some other service that actually treat you like a real customer instead of a potential fee slave. Use a service that doesn't charge you list fees until you've sold the item.

This is horrible. I don't understand why Etsy is allowed to remain in business. I am so frustrated I'm in tears. Not only does the processing go on for days, they don't tell you your order was canceled until you're expecting it in the mail. They literally ruined my wedding. How can they stay in business when you can't buy anything. I contacted my bank and they took the money out 500.00 and then canceled my order and it is impossible to get a hold of them. Now I can't get my order number because it says I'll lose this review. I bought hair extensions from van glam house of beauty in San Diego CA. Then the lady suggested I reorder it so I tried again. That is my new order number.

The policy of not being able to leave a review after 60 days is ridiculous. My item took more than 60 days to arrive because it had to be sent back due to it being faulty and Etsy's response was that there was nothing they could do. This could potentially mean that many of the poor reviews for different vendors never even make it onto their page rendering the whole review system unreliable. Throughout the whole process the customer service team clearly didn't want to have to deal with any problems and were unhelpful throughout. I would not recommend Etsy to anyone and am going back to using more reliable services.

Confusing delivery date and unfair cancellation policy. I ordered a timely product for an anniversary gift. It did not show the delivery date until after I placed the order. Since the delivery was too late for the gift, I canceled the order within 2 minutes. They charged me $10 for some tax reasons. I have purchased hundreds of items online. This is the first time I encountered this unfair situation. Just want to warn Etsy customers.

We did not receive our order. Etsy does not answer their phone. No voicemail, and no way to contact them other than a very frustrating do not reply email box. I don't know how Etsy is still in business and wished that we had looked at their negative reviews from this week alone before placing our order. We will dispute the charges on our credit card and never shop with them again. Shame on them.

Etsy Company Profile