2.6/5 (325 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have been an Etsy seller with several stores for close to a decade. Last year my old computer broke down and I got a new computer which triggered an algorithm from Etsy to shut down all my stores. Because there is no customer service, no phone number, and they pick and choose when they will get back to you, with persistence I got four of them back open in 9 weeks. I promptly shut down all four.

I have two more. They shut down one a month ago because they demanded my driver's license. Gave it to them. Open the store. The other store without warning and without an email demanded a driver's license as well and put the store on vacation mode. Now I had no idea that this was going on. To find out why your company is in vacation mode you have to hunt for an over an hour to get information. 11 days ago I sent in my driver's license again. Sent four emails. Response? Not even crickets in the forest. As soon as this is open both of these will be shut down again. I will never ever ever ever sell on Etsy again. Worst platform, has turned into a money greedy non-responsive non-seller supportive platform.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I recently purchased 2 customized magnets for my Airbnb from a seller on Etsy. Unfortunately, I didn't receive my purchase even though USPS said that it was delivered. I contacted the seller with my concern and got the run around. She told me to go to my local post office. As a busy business owner, I don't have the extra time to go searching for an item that wasn't delivered. I was shocked at the lack of customer support and left a 1 star review. In the meantime, I filed a complaint with USPS about the package that was not delivered. As retaliation for that review, she responded to my review by accusing me of being a mail fraud scammer and made multiple false claims. I asked for Etsy to review the response and remove it as it was false and defaming my character. I got the run around from Etsy and the response if still not removed. In the meantime, it appears that I'm a mail fraud scammer based on the seller's false claims.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Please stay away from Etsy! It is a horrible online "business" platform. First off, I am a former shopper. I have had my account cancelled four times! All I was trying to do was pay for some merchandise that I wanted. When I went to complain, there was no customer service team available!!! There is absolutely no one available to help. What kind of company is this??? What kind of company doesn't have a customer service number available??? Also, the website sponsors fraudulent business websites.

There is a business entitled The Grey Angel Shop. The owner's name is "Michelle". At least, that's the name that is being used. "Michelle's" profile on Etsy says that she's based in Australia. She has about 28 reviews on her page. I paid $1,000 for services that were not rendered. I contacted her because I believed the reviews displayed on her page. I thought the reviews were authentic. But now, I am convinced that the reviews are fake. I will be reporting both "Michelle" and Etsy to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Won the case with Etsy's mediation {"This is Hope from Etsy's Case Mediation team."} review making an 8" x 11" map clearly distinctive of a larger map i.e. National Geographic's 35.75" x 46" or Amazon's swift maps 36" x 44" zoom feature is deceptively used in fraudulently enhancing a map with very small characteristics to be a larger map you can hang on the wall. Noted in decision "Because the map received does not match the listing photo, we are not able to mediate this dispute using the case system. For this reason, we must close this case.

Although the case is closed, you're welcome to work together to resolve this transaction outside the case system. I found no medium or message box to reply to Martine nor Etsy and there has been no effort to reach out to me to resolve dispute. I have attempted to contact the better business bureau of NYC for Etsy has its HDQTRS in Brooklyn, NYC and am attempting to reopen the case after having it closed for My argument was copied from Etsy mediation complaint and I sought for the end of the zoom.

Martine is unable to understand. "He repeatedly refers to the deceptive zoom feature." Although she states "it appears you have an issue with Etsy’s zoom feature. "I repeat, the zoom feature is a standard Etsy feature - I do not control or influence its functionality." A standard feature should not be noted as; 'giving inaccurate impressions' that the purchaser sees on the Etsy webpage but aren't that what's received.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I opened a second shop in another country, and Etsy suspended my account without any explanation or any email or any notification. I also have to comment on their fees that I have been paying on my shop which has been open from 2018. Unfortunately, the ethos of the original platform has been gone, and it is now all about making money for themselves, at the expense of their customer base, the micro businesses, paying anywhere from 11% to 28% on every sale. There is no support either.

On top, They also charge on some sales a huge marketing fee now and there is no option to opt out. How do I know if that sale came from this marketing you charged me for. Why do I go ahead and spend on buying researching and stocking a rare fabric, making a very intricate design and perhaps when you charge me that marketing fee I make nothing out of that sale. After the effort and costs, that marketing fee you charged me might have been the very profit left to me on that transaction and you took it without my permission, arbitrarily. How greedy of you, and inconvenient for me!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Unfortunately, the ethos of the original platform has long gone and under the current leadership it is all and only about making money for themselves, at the expense of their customer base, the micro businesses, paying anywhere from 11.55% to 28.05% on every sale. There is no support. We have been with Etsy for over six years yet when there is an issue, only the second or third time, in six years, that we have reached out to Etsy, they are not interested in assisting or supporting the very businesses that are the framework of their existence. When Etsy wishes to improve their bottom line they just increase the pressure on the micro businesses by introducing new fees, mandating advertising, mandating free shipping, mandating insured shipping, pricing the micro business out of business.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I had a store on Etsy, their customer service takes 48 hours to respond, their system needs 24 hours to update. Sellers and buyers stay away from Etsy. It's the worst platform with the worst customer service experience I ever had. They also don't have a phone number for customer service. Any other retailer is better than Etsy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

I will never ever purchase on Etsy. I purchased and paid on July 12. Until July 21, I have not got my order. I sent 2 messages to the seller and they never responded. Then I requested a refund. But until today Aug. 14, 2022, I did not get the refund. I talked to the customer service, she let me to contacted to the seller again. She said I could open a case starting from July 22, 2022. I tried and found Etsy system did not allow me to open a case. I talked to the customer service, she went disappeared and offline... Everything come back to 0 point - I do not know who I can contact to get my refund or I cannot get it forever??

Original review: July 19, 2022

ETSY does not care about the buyers. It cares about the sellers who pay ETSY who pays its shareholders. Almost of of its turquoise sellers are selling Fake Chinese made trash. HIT IT WITH A HAMMER AND LOOK INSIDE! A majority of its gemstones state Natural but are lab created. They even go as bold as giving you a fake plastic card of authenticity. FAKE as well! Does ETSY care? The answer is No! My advice as a Jeweler is to avoid ETSY at all costs and if not the cost is yours!

Original review: July 18, 2022

Don't even bother. Etsy doesn't enforce their own rules and allow cheap, Chinese made garbage to be sold on their website as "handmade" or "vintage" when it's clearly mass-produced. As an online seller myself, I find this extremely dishonest and disgusting. Everything is always about the bottom line and to heck with honesty and integrity! You won't have to worry about me EVER buying anything on Etsy and I'm for sure going to give Etsy the reviews they deserve wherever and whenever I find the opportunity. Word of mouth you know is your best friend or worst enemy. Yes, I did attempt to address this with Etsy about 150 times and they did nothing but send me ** excuses and canned email responses.

Original review: July 18, 2022

7 months ago I opened an account with Etsy to sell my rings. Since then I tried more than 10 times to verify my bank to get paid from the sales I made in their platform. I followed their instructions and I even needed to drive to my bank 3 times to make sure everything was ok. Every single time that I speak with them, they tell me to do the same thing over and over again. To the point that my account got blocked for trying too many times. I explained everything, and every time a new person from customer service replies telling me to do exactly what I just tell them that I did. Like they literally DON'T read the emails. I already gave up with them. I won't be selling with them ever again since they kept my money, literally kept it. It's sitting in their system for 7 months and simple no one gives me a solution, they only take me in circles, I mention that to them and what do they do? They tell me to do the same thing again and again.

So if you want to sell with them, think twice. I don't want to put more time on this since it's sucking my mind. I have lost more than 300 USD with them, they have stole that money from me. It's unbelievable that there is not even 1 single person in their customer service team that can take 2 minutes to read a message properly and actually find a solution, they close my support requests like nothing, they ask me for details and then close the request, like if it was completed when they have actually accomplished nothing. Worse experience I ever had selling online. DON'T SELL WITH Etsy.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Despite having clear policies prohibiting the resale of items, many of the sellers on Etsy are simply reselling Amazon products. After wanting to support a small business I received a marked-up Amazon item in its original Amazon packaging. Etsy doesn't seem to care to enforce its own policies and Etsy does not provide good support in resolving disputes with sellers.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Hi has purchased a fabric a month ago. Till date I have not received any update on the status of my package. I have tried contacting the seller a couple of times and I am told there is no information available.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Warning !Warning! Warning! Do not buy anything from Etsy or Dale ** of Empireofknivesshop. You will receive a FedEx tracking number but will not have your name or address on it. If you do buy something and it is not delivered, report this the fedex e-crime team as this is a scam, you should also contact fedex customer service, they will confirm the tracking number does not refer to your name or address, ask them to send a email confirming this. Just a note that etsy allow this to happen, be warned.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Absolutely shocking service. Don't get involved with this seller place!!!! Don't read customer service e-mails. Do what they want with your listings. Can close account without a reason. Use to be good but now really shocking

Original review: June 15, 2022

I have ordered from Etsy 6 times from various sellers. I have had sellers actually send what I bought 2 times. They make you pay up front, and there is absolutely no course of action when a seller doesn’t send the item you ordered and keeps the money you sent for it. I won’t order from Etsy again. I urge legitimate artists to sell other places, because Etsy seems to attract scam artists. Buyers should be aware that they won’t get what they paid for and their money won’t ever be returned.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I sold on Etsy, maybe a month. I made a few sells with that time and received excellent reviews. I provided high quality and my customer service was great. As a new seller, I mistakenly listed my lisitings incorrectly as far as the manufacturer of my products. Etsy started removing my listings. As I became aware of the reason Etsy removed them, I figured out how to correctly list the manufacturer of my products. I had only one handmade product, that I made. I listed that product as handmade.

Almost a week later, Etsy randomly suspended. I contacted Etsy several times about them mistakenly suspending my account. It's now been almost two weeks and I haven't heard back from them. I also filed an appeal. Etsy has caused my paid advertising and profiles to be banned on other platforms because this. To make matters worse, Etsy took every cent I earned before suspending my account. I have not benefited at all from selling on Etsy. Their customer service is horrible. They don't care about the seller's well being at all. Some of us depend on this income. For them to randomly close your shop down, and don't respond to your messages & take all your earnings is a slap on the face. Lastly, it took me a while to finally to design my shop. The shut me down not even a week later after I finally finished.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I have purchased a wood carving from Ainsworthcustoms for 760AUD in January and still at May I did not receive it. Seller stopped responding and customer service is terrible. They kept closing my case three times and for fourth time I have reopened it without any interventions. I have now seen many people have experienced same. I am lost. My money is gone. Feel so helpless.

Original review: May 30, 2022

We are very upset on Etsy for last 4 month. No communications and only reply with your stupid FAQ. We need a life phone contact so sort the issues WITH NEW ETSY REGULATION TO HOLD OUR NEW PAYMENTS for up to 45 days. As you see our 15 years record. We have only happy customers. We deliver on only via Etsy but 22 year Ebay power seller, Amazon direct our local Virginia Store and Trade Conventions. Remove the block and call our office asap. Alex **

Original review: May 25, 2022

Have attempted to make three purchases. The first came through great. The second I had to wait two weeks and demand a refund as the second order was supposedly shipped and yet the post office indicates it never received the package. The third I can't even get this seller to respond and Etsy offers absolutely no help until 4 weeks have passed by. Etsy and its bad sellers are just too much trouble to waste time and money on. I recommend to stay away from Etsy!

Original review: May 24, 2022

Horrible customer service. Long response times (if you even hear back) and they will suspend your account without warning and takes days or weeks to resolve it - even if you're paying for the premium version. Easy to use platform but be aware that you might get suspended at any moment and lose sales. I hope they improve their terrible service or at least offer a chat option in the future.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I purchased a teddy bear through Etsy and when it arrived and I took it out of the box, a bunch of mouse feces and dead bugs came out all over the table! Although the seller refunded my initial cost after I returned the item, she did not refund my return cost which was over $27.00! Essentially I paid over 27.00 to clean mouse feces and dead bugs from my home! You do not know what you are getting from this company!!!!

Original review: May 6, 2022

Don't use this website to sell your products, they don't protect sellers, customer requested to return the item but Etsy did not wait for me to received the return. They issued the refund to the buyer. Customer ended up not returning the item, why would she? She got her money back! So I lost the item worth $500 + another $500 for the refund they took from my credit card. Also bad customer service, it takes days before you can get a reply. I will never trust or use this site to buy or sell. Don't even deserve a 1 star. Bad, bad, bad.

Original review: May 6, 2022

There is no way to get support or assistance with issues or problems from Etsy. The phone number listed as corporate is an automated message that states it does not accept incoming calls and instructs you to use the website. Trying to contact support through the website only results in long delays between responses that are useless as they do not read the full ticket and just cut and paste information from their FAQ based on a few keywords (i.e. if you mention shipping you will get the entire shipping policies FAQ pasted into a response email).

Trying to reply and engage them only results in a battle of nonsense and useless information and repeated re-verification of your account asking you for your account name and email address, even though you need to be logged in to contact them to begin with. It is clearly a pattern to waste your time hoping you will just go away. Currently they will not allow orders to be marked shipped or completed without forcing you to buy shipping labels through Etsy, and they are drastically undercharging on the shipping costs.

In the last 2 years this company has gone severely downhill and become untrustworthy, greedy, unreliable, and crooked. I left E-bay and never looked back for exactly this type of conduct. I not only do not recommend opening a store here, I recommend anyone who has a store here leave as not only I am never going to do business through Etsy again (buying or selling) more and more people every day share my opinion.

Original review: April 28, 2022

There is no phone contact to respond to anything. It takes 2-4 days to get any email response. When they do answer it often makes no sense and does not answer the sellers question. One person after another tries to answer without reading the question. It is the worst seller site I have ever used. They are constantly trying to sell more of their services which would be a stupid mistake for a seller to buy.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Usually when ordering from a store one would expect if you receive the right order that you can exchange it. I ordered from an Etsy store who had this policy but was refused! Their customer service did not allow me to speak to a supervisor!

Original review: April 21, 2022

I ordered 7 times, the item only got 1, and quality of the item was disgusting. Etsy took 6 days to answer. Their customer support was either leaving the chat instead of helping or told me they couldn't help. The seller was disrespectful and out of line multiple time in the 'case file' conversation and the company never defended me or ended the conversation. At this point I'm scared for my safety cause she knows my address, also scared of returning the item and never seeing my money back. The company's name is Ikkitreasure. Don't order there, and don't buy/sell from Etsy.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Was a seller on Etsy. Without warning they terminated my store and kept my profits. No explanation why, no phone number to contact and just a “robot” to answer your message stating that they are busy and will send the message to their “team” to review but you never hear back. Money and time is a true loss when dealing with this site. Many people are leaving Etsy to sell elsewhere because Etsy treats their sellers like pure garbage. Sites like eBay, Bonanza and Mercari care about their sellers and treat you like a human being. It’s your time and money. It was my time and money.

Don’t even Etsy’s next victim. Go to a website that cares about you! Etsy isn’t one of them and that is why if you watch the news, they are going down. To all the other sellers that were on Etsy and got shut down for no apparent good reason and profits were taken by them.. I here with you! And the truth is coming out about Etsy and we will watch as Etsy will go down for how filthy they treat their sellers.

Original review: April 10, 2022

My products were quite satisfactory, but soon after my purchases, my account was hacked, in some cases from Europe. I had to close my bank account and receive new cards. I will never trust this site again. It isn't safe.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I became a seller on Etsy a couple years ago. Recently since I had made an item using a little piece of Sesame Street material, they permanently closed my shop with no explanation other than in an email to take it up with Sesame Street as they were the one that requested it closed down. Over 10,000 people on Etsy are still selling Sesame Street items and their shops are up and thriving! I was personally targeted by Sesame Street who apparently is not a non profit organization since they allow others to sell their items and they sell their own items in the stores! As a result, Etsy took the last of my money and did not release my profits, won’t return any messages, their contact number is fake, and Sesame Street has been harassing me ever since!! Years of hard work down the drain and the only source of income for me and my kids!

I made other things but they didn’t take me into consideration and just terminated my shop without proper warning of one little item when I had hundreds of other items. Very traumatic experience and no one to talk to on Etsy.. They don’t even respond to your emails! I’m currently in the process of hiring an attorney. Since then I have contacted all my customers and let them know what happened and they told me to take action since I was singled out!

Etsy Company Information