3.7/5 (1269 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I set up a seller account with Etsy by integrating my print on demand store with Etsy. I purchased 67 products with unique designs showcasing images from my children's books that I personally wrote and paid illustrators to create and purchased all rights too including commercial rights. After moving 67 products to my Etsy seller account, I looked at my Etsy store and discovered Etsy was requiring me to manually update each of the 67 listings with the shipping zipcode and estimated delivery time. This is information Etsy should have gotten from the print on demand company not a brand new inexperienced seller.

After about 6 hrs of manually trying to update the 67 listings and only getting 1/3 of the way through, I got a popup asking me to rate my experience with my Etsy seller account and they wanted my honest feedback. I gave them a 1 star rating and explained how miserably frustrating it was to manually update 67 listings with information they should have gotten from the P.O.D.

The next thing I knew was my seller account was suspended by Etsy with no explanation and they were still charging me for the 67 listings which they listed less than 48 hours. I am guessing that either Etsy cannot handle constructive but negative criticism or they are falsely accusing me of copyright infringement of my designs. I can only guess since they don't have the professionalism or common courtesy to let me know why they suspended my account.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

As soon as my package get delivered if they get here. I pray they do. I will be deleting my account. Etsy doesn't want to take action for their sellers. They tell you to reach out to them but they are no help. They just give you the runaround. I've contacted the seller a lot and still have no response and that was 7 days ago. Grrrr....

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Etsy used to be a site I loved to use for selling, but about 1 year ago they ditched customer service completely. Now if you have an issue you have to go through a mobius loop on their site which never leads to customer service, that alone is a really unpleasant aspect of attempting to lessen the ability of people to contact them. So when you have any important issue, just know, they'll do their utmost to distance themselves from it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I searched for a gift and I see multiple instances of "mature" content which I do not want to see. It is against their policy. I complained via chat and was told it would be handled. This was a week ago. I have been shopping here for years and I am leaving permanently.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Today, I had the most frustrating experience with Etsy. I placed a note in the customer "Note" section prior to placing my order. Prior to placing my order, I double checked to make sure that the wording in the notes section was exact for my very expensive order. Well, after I placed my order, something told me to check to make sure that my note went through. Well, my note did NOT go through.. I did a search on the internet, and Etsy has a history of this happening. I've reached out to the vendor, but because it is the holiday season, I got an automated message telling me that she was busy with orders.

Why is Etsy not making sure that the notes section is working --- especially during this very busy holiday season? Etsy has to know that the traffic during the holiday season may stress out the system, and they have to ensure that the system is up to par. Trying to get in contact with Etsy to complain about this easily avoidable technical issue is an exercise in frustration. I am completely frustrated and disgusted with them. After being an Etsy customer for many years, I am hoping that this is not a sign that they are going down the tubes like that very big online store....

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Etsy suspended my shop stating my products are not handmade. I sent them pictures of my workshop/factory, showing videos of when products are made and made myself available for details but doesn't matter what I tried, I got same answer "we consider products you are selling are not handmade." If What I am selling is not hand made then nothing is. Maybe they don't like my name and just feel it should be closed.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I buy from a few sellers only on Etsy but decided to buy something I normally do not buy. I then realized what I was going to buy just minutes after clicking buy now. It was not what I thought it was and canceled my order. Same day I had placed other orders from my normal people. Etsy chose to charge me for extra shipping for the item I canceled and adding the normal shops together and separate. When I called asking why I had this 47 dollar charge with no item the girl helping couldn't understand but after a hour this was the lie she came up with. They added two twenty dollar orders together. I said but they wasn't the same shops. It's doesn't matter we do this to get our money. So you charge some people extra.. That was end of the conversation..Made zero sense.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I am an Etsy seller and have been selling digital files since 2015. The platform is not user friendly for digital items, and I'm losing my patience with Etsy's lack of support with this issue. This time of year, every year for the past 6 years I receive message after message from customers requesting help downloading their files. From Oct-Dec I've received over 60 help requests despite all the efforts I've made to provide the instructions to customers before and after their purchase. Customers cannot retrieve files using the Etsy App. Customers commonly use tablets and phones to browse Etsy and are prompted to download the app for a "better browsing experience". If they purchase a digital file, the download button is not available next to their order and it looks like they never received the link.

Most customers reach out to me for help while others leave a 1 star review out of frustration. The review is a reflection of a delivery system that is not supported by the Etsy App and my shop takes the hit, not the Etsy Platform. My product's popularity loses its "bestseller" tag. Negative reviews turn buyers away. It makes striving for incentive programs like "star seller" a setup for failure when this status depends on consistent 5 star reviews and prompt response to messages. A hypocritical joke considering the non-existent customer support Etsy provides its shop owners, who pay to be there.

Etsy help is non-existent. Moderators used to be available in the forums to respond to issues, find solutions or offer advice. This is not available anymore. There is an "Etsy Help" button which offers articles providing answers to problems, but if you need more help, you are directed to the forums. Where the blind leads the blind it certain matters. If I try to contact Etsy help directly through email or phone (uneasy to find either), I will receive automated emails that I can not respond to. I pay enough in fees to receive better support than this.

Etsy spends more time devising incentive plans for sellers to strive for 5 star ratings and less time working on the platform's lacking features and tools that would improve a buyer’s (and sellers) experience that would lead to those ratings. Shop owners instead have to work harder to make up for the lacking features, and absorb the hits from angry buyers. There is no incentive to strive for the incentives. A platform that used to be a supportive community of creative makers has become disconnected. Not just between Etsy and its sellers but also between Etsy sellers with each other and between sellers and buyers. A characteristic that distinguished it from platforms like eBay and Amazon. Customer service on most online venues has been slowly dwindling esp. post Covid. Sad to see Etsy is following suit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I ordered a flag and certificate display cabinet from this so called handmade platform and received a damaged cabinet. This has several damages and the plastic window is all damaged and fogged so you cannot see through it. I called Etsy and waited on hold for 30 minutes. The gentleman said he was going to look into it and put me on hold for a minute. It has been 21 minutes and I am still on hold. This cabinet cost me $180. I reached out to the seller first who is giving me the runaround! I sent three photos that clearly show the damages already. It seem Etsy doesn’t care one bit about my experience with them! I will never use Etsy again!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I ordered a shirt from Sunrise thru Ebay. And they were very upstanding and received my new shirt in 4 days. Very happy with them and would buy from them again. The man I dealt with was super nice, appreciate the exchange with no problem.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Hello! I sell jewelry on online platforms for more than a year in my country Turkey. I was trying to expand to abroad since I have experience on online sales and internet has no borders. So I’ve found Etsy while I was looking for a trustable platform. Oh it was a mistake. They’re not trustable. I don’t even know how could Etsy gain success. Gaining success and being this bad might be their success, I have to congratulate them.

First of all, even though they promise to meet you with international buyers and sellers is a lie. I’ve bought Etsy Plus and gave constant ads. I lowered the prices. And traffic too low that I haven’t seen anything like that! I’ve checked other sellers who have high sale rates, their products are not better than mine (I’m sorry if I sound annoying here but they were actually much worse and some of them had horrible photography and low quality material with high prices) and I can’t get how can’t I get attention. Then I’ve sent them a message, asking how can I do better on Etsy? And they replied me with a COPY PASTE email. God I felt super ANGRY when I saw that nonsense email. SUCH A DISRESPECT.

Anyone should not waste their money on Etsy Plus or Etsy Ads. Etsy wants you to bring your own buyers via social media. But if I shine myself and collect buyers then why am I paying nonsense fees and ad fees to Etsy? Some people told me that Etsy shows you only around your country. But I already sell on 3 different platforms in Turkey and why would I like to use a foreign language app? I’m Turkish from Turkey and I know much better ways to get Turkish customers.

Etsy should give all my money back. Unfortunately they can’t give my time back. This is a fraud. They attract you to connect with international community (And they do not connect you) and they take your money to give ads. (But in fact they want to bring your own buyers to Etsy via your own social media. Someone tell Etsy there’re much better ways to do that!) And for me the worst part was a copy paste email response. Shame on you Etsy!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I am a seller on Etsy, I've had my shop over a year, I started last year to provide some needed funds for my family during the pandemic, my shop was very successful and grossed over $20,000 last year having only been open 5 months, Currently we are doing less sales and that's ok. The holiday time seems to be our busiest, Unfortunately Etsy has put a payment reserve on my account, that means they hold 75% of the total of my sales giving the seller 25%. Unfortunately because of etsy's enormous fees and fact that once your shop crosses a $10,000 mark you are automatically put in to their advertising program that you have to pay for I have yet to even see the 25% from sales, They say that once an order ships with tracking and is moving they will release the remaining 75% of your sale, But this doesn't happen purely because they have made it so you are in the hole and they take the full 100% of your sale.

I've reached out multiple times to etsy. When I did receive an email back it would just be a copy and paste of their Payment reserve information and never addressing my actual issue, they have the worst customer service, you can never get anyone on the phone, they never answer emails and when they do they do not give you any information, this new payment reserve system is putting small shops out of business. I’m basically working for free.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Beware of Thomas ** from Florida. Beware of Thomas ** from Florida, after he received 3 assorted ‘whimsical’ Christmas trees he messaged me that a piece had come unglued. What should he do? I responded immediately stating it must have gotten shuffled in shipping and just use a hot glue gun or Gorilla Glue works wonders.

I messaged him again two days later to make sure all was well and I take pride in all of my HANDMADE items and I would make it right, even though I do not accept refunds. He waited 3 WEEKS to message me and tell me that the tree was crooked, hence the phrase ‘whimsical’ but it was ok. He then waited 2 weeks after he stated everything was ok, total of 2 months after initial purchase and gave me 3 stars and contacted Etsy who took upon themselves without contacting me for my side to give him a full refund. How do you offer a full refund on my behalf without asking me the details. They paid it and did not charge me but it is the principle of the matter. He has my items, which coincidentally, he sells at a ‘mall’ and got them for free. Beyond pissed at the audacity of Etsy!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Karmen Serazin KWoodstore is a FRAUD! Stay away from KWoodstore SCAM propagated on Etsy. I bought a simple knife stand there. Seemingly - what could go wrong! However, the item was completely useless and damaged: the knives are supposed to be held on by a magnetic stripe, which is faulty and the knives simply fall down. But that’s not all! Karmen Serazin did not tell me about HIDDEN COSTS, which totaled up to over half of the price of the item itself! When confronted with facts she promised to pay the hidden costs and taxes, which she didn’t disclose, but didn’t fulfill her promise. She was extremely rude and then just stopped communicating. Horrible Etsy support deleted my reviews and refused to interfere and help.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

We have been happy with the sales on Etsy but they do not seem to care at all about the seller experience and there is no way to block problematic buyers or scammers. As a seller, it is nearly impossible to get anybody at etsy to help with disputes. I still recommend selling on this platform but they need to work on helping sellers and not just exploiting them. DO NOT USE PROMOTED LISTINGS. That system is just setup to waste as much of your advertising dollars as possible and the results have been hugely disappointing.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Etsy is a scammer solicited site. Lost $13454.00 to a fraudulent seller. Case mediation is non-existent. CAN'T GET CREDIT CARD REFUNDED!!! MAIL FRAUD AND CREDIT CARD FRAUD. I can't express my warning enough!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I have been selling my items on Etsy for over 8 years. It used to be a great place for Artists and Sellers of vintage and handmade items. Everything ran smoothly. Customers and Sellers alike were happy. One can see, from reviews of this site, when things changed, and it is not because of Covid. It is from Greed.

Etsy changes policies on a whim, not considering sellers opinions. This is so ironic, because if a seller has a technical problem with their site, the reply one gets from the "form letter" is: "We are only a platform for you to use to sell you items. We don't step in to help with issues with buyers etc. Ask the seller's community to offer suggestions and help". Essentially leaving us to our own devices, unprotected and exposed. These are not minor issues which I attempted to contact support about. And I clearly stated why I was reaching out, numerous times. Issues like bogus customer accounts and attempts to steal mine.

When there is an issue with their platform, there is no way to contact the offices of Etsy. Or speak to anyone with a heartbeat. Only a chat which is not manned by humans. Only robots with scripts that are of no help, and don't pertain to the issue at hand. The robots say, "I will escalate this to a higher team, and you will receive an email". Days later when said email arrives, it is another form letter, going on and on about things that have nothing to do with my issue. When I respond to this email, numerous times over a period of weeks, there is never a response from a robot or human. And we are left to figure it out, or close our shops.

Etsy used to take about 7% off the top, and offered shipping deals if we purchased the labels through them instead of the Post Office. Now, it is closer to 20%, and more if a customer finds your shop from a search engine. With the sneaky .25 added to shipping labels, forcing sellers to pay a large fee when a customer finds our goods through Google, or any online search engine. Never breaking down what item was "hit on". If a customer comes from say Google search, and purchases an item, seller is forced to pay for this forced advertising. This only benefits Etsy. And we end up losing so much, or having to raise our prices to compensate, pushing us out of the market.

I think it is despicable to take so much from struggling artists. Especially now when everyone is suffering. Oh look at their stock. It has skyrocketed in the past year as a result of these unethical changes. On top of this, Etsy strong arms sellers into offering Free Shipping, otherwise, you are sent to the back of Etsy's search results as a punishment. That costs us about 4.00 per item if we ship free. Etsy used to be a place where you could confidently sell and buy, because buyers and sellers had to be members or guests. Now, people can just "purchase" an item with no membership, no email and no info other than an address. (This is my most recent issue, and my reason for contacting the robots.)

Bottom Line: It has become unprofitable for Artists to sell their items on this site. And potentially a risk, as now we have no idea who we are shipping our items to. With claims later from customers that they never received their item and they want a refund or replacement. Even when an item has tracking and shows as delivered. So, without ANY help from Etsy's Support, sellers must refund or replace said item at their expense, because if they do not, sellers risk receiving a negative review, or less than 5 stars. With Etsy's new STAR SELLER program, if you receive less than 5 stars on a review, you are once again bumped to the end of the search listings. Etsy's "Star Seller" program, recently initiated, distracts sellers from focusing on their art. It is totally for Etsy's bank account, and actually detrimental and alienating to sellers.

Imagine, spending hours creating an item, listing the item, selling the item, shipping the item with tracking, only to have customer say they did not receive, leaving you less than the 5 stars if you don't refund them??? And where is Etsy?? Nowhere. But they bump you off the program and to the end of the search results. If you are thinking of selling your creations, or vintage items on Etsy, seriously reconsider. There are other sites and ways to sell confidently and safe, whilst keeping your customers happy, without lining Etsy's pockets when there is NO support for you. I hope that I have been of some help. My statements here are true, but they are nonetheless my opinion and my personal experience. Others may have a different opinion and experience. Research carefully.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Etsy has probably the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I'm on day 11 of my support request and still no... support. I received an automated reply that has absolutely nothing to do with my request. Days later I get a "hey we don't think we responded to your request". I replied and let them know that I hadn't. Still nothing. I keep asking for help and eventually (days later) get a response from someone asking for information they already have. I replied with what they requested and now it's silent again. I've never experienced a more dysfunctional customer service department. Either that or they simply do not care about the people who keep the business running.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought curry leaf on sep 15th with expected delivery on Sep 21; never received the item and reached out to the seller. He replied me to contact the customs with import permit! There is no guarantee you will receive the item from this seller.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Ordering on this website is very difficult. I have been trying to order a teardrop necklace for my pet's ashes. I have tried 5 times, with no luck. I am wondering if this is a legitimate site that orders can actually be placed on. It is awful! I think the BBB needs to be informed so they can investigate the legitimacy of the site. I had looked at many different sites and containers that would suit my needs. I finally find something I like and I can't get it ordered. C. **

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I ordered a ring on Etsy and it never arrived. Over 30 USD down the drain, I definitely won't be using them again. I don't know how they expect people to shop with them if there are no guarantees that your money won't just go to waste. Hopefully this review prevents someone else from going through the same experience.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

There is a seller on Etsy by the name MadeByMelLLC from Grove Cty Ohio. Her name is Melissa. On Aug 26, 2021 I placed an order from her website. It was a bowl cozy and I never received it. I wrote her a note telling her this and she did respond back to me but apologizing for the inconvenience and she said she will check the post office. She also said that she mailed out two bowl cozies free of charge for the inconvenience. I haven’t received them either. Everything she supposedly mailed out to me I didn’t received any of them. I wrote her another message a few days ago. I went back and she doesn’t respond to me. I called my bank to explain what had happened and I did get a full refund of my money back to me.

The point is, I am very reluctant to go back to Etsy and buy anything from the website. I don’t feel like it is safe. I am now worried that this Melissa has my information “credit card number”. I don’t know what they can do about this. Probably nothing and this is why I will no longer shop at Etsy. I am sorry but I will not support any small business ever again. I have already closed my account but I wanted you all to know this information. I think you don’t have trustworthy people that sell items on Etsy. Not all of them are bad but they are a lot out there. I can't even get in touch with any team members to tell them about this problem. This world we are living in is sad.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Etsy support is horrible. Their customer's service sucks and their sellers sucks even more. They all are big scammers. I bought a product from their seller, they took my money in a timely manner but I never received the product. There is no buyer protection. I have never seen this kind a customer service. I will never ever buy any stuff from etsy. They just lost a potential buyer.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Etsy is a wonderful place to find unique and kooky things from sellers who may not have another way to reach you as a consumer. However, you are out of luck if you have any sort of problem with the site. I have discovered that they don't have a phone number nor e-mail to contact them to get ahold of a real person to hear your concerns. They only have a chat in which robots give you scripted answers but do not listen to you and do not care to help you. I have contacted their chat support 3 times and 3 times they tell me to wait for a "special team" email and when I get it, it's just FAQ's and no resolution. I hope sellers find other avenues to sell so that we (buyers) can actually buy items.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Still haven’t received my money after 4 months. This is terrible and no purchases will ever be made to Etsy ever again. They already have a bad reputation and now I can see why. You spend money to purchase and ship an item during a pandemic only to be shafted.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I like Etsy, I buy a lot through it and I recommend it. What I don't like is Etsy not enforcing its own regulations. One such rule says that sellers are not allowed to sell items that mock or demean any group or religion. Several Etsy sellers sell "art" that mocks Christianity. If they sold posters, prints and other items that mocked Islam, for example, you can bet those sellers would get an earful from Etsy. The issue isn't honest criticism of a religion, it's mean spirited mocking, and Etsy lets it slide.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Etsy is literally the worst platform for sellers, please guys refrain from using it. You are going to waste your time and valuable income to try and get things right and it’s never gonna work. My experience with Etsy started few months back where I tried selling and they just closed my account with no warning or even a reason. Thereafter I purchased a VPN to try and open a new account to get this to work with my gf's info.

My new approach had no content violations or any policy violations and was still suspended due to their algorithm which they don’t give reason why it gets suspended and then after the appeal they send a generic apology. Happened twice and with no fault of mine, I finally made a sale. They closed my account completely 3 days later without the sale going through, with again no reason to which I requested a review and they just sent a generic email to say I must not contact further. I spent an entire month making my designs to not interfere with algorithms without affecting the integrity of my design and it still wasn’t enough. Etsy does not care about the seller or the buyer because now the buyer's money is being held until the buyer requests a refund on the product which I’ve read take up to 4 months of back and forth. Don’t use etsy, for anything!! Take a stand against a giant company who doesn’t care about its clients!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Hello. I want to share my experience with Etsy customer service. On 25 August, While I was creating my account with my own information's, after putting all my personal information and my credit card numbers, and then it say, "Your account is suspended." And they will tell you it's because I violate the policy, without zero explanation. Be careful before giving them your informations.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I ordered 4 sets of earring hoops. It took 2 weeks to arrive and when it did one set was two different colors and designs completely. The other was very flimsy, too small and not as described. The other two sets never arrived. I have made 5 contact attempts with both Etsy and their Silvette seller and PayPal. I received no response from anyone. At this point I'm completely out the money I spent. I will never use Etsy, Silvette, or PayPal again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

This was a horrible purchase! I'll be fair by stating that the seller claimed to have mailed out the two bigfoots about a week after I purchased but the post office returned the small envelope so on his next attempt he placed that envelope in the next as proof. This entire process took over 6 weeks & I had direct contact with him several times. Finally when it didn't show up around week 6 he said he'd give a refund but at this point I told him wait until Monday and see if they arrive to be fair cause I'd already waited this long, but come Sunday I got the notification that I was refunded. Come Monday the envelope arrived, only one of the bigfoots was broken (these were wooden) and neither of them had a necklace in or attached! After countless emails of dealing with this issue already and being refunded I decided to move on with my life as this was my first purchase on Etsy.

Oddly enough a few weeks later after receiving the items I got a notification from Etsy I could see the beginning of the message and it was that guy. He actually began the message with "I find it hard to believe you..." & well I'll never know exactly what he said cause I'm way too busy to stop and let this continue to interfere with my life. My total purchase was $17.80. $6 per bigfoot necklace plus $2 shipping each & tax. There is not many wooden bigfoot sellers out there. I think he was the only one at the time. Without tracking I will no longer make purchases on Etsy.

Etsy Company Information