3.9/5 (2671 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: June 17, 2021

What kind of online retailer only allows photos to be left for really good reviews? Allowing only the customers to see positive experiences and photos.. not negative ones. What a scam! Seller then is allowed to response with a generic positive response to my poor review (which I can't respond back to) when they've been ignoring my emails for days? No thank you. I will go to a site that allows bad reviews too. Otherwise literally every seller looks great when they may not be!

Original review: June 16, 2021

I bought what I thought was a pair of earrings from a company in France called Colibri at Etsy.com. I received ONE earring. When I complained, I was told that in the description it states to buy and pay for each earring separately in order to receive the pair, that no one had complained about this prior to me (which I don't believe), and that I should have read the fine print. Who in heck thinks they need to read the fine print when purchasing a common pair of earrings! It isn't common business practice to sell one earring separately from the other, as the human body requires two earrings for two ears. To get my money back, I need to ship back to France from the U.S. the one earring I received at my expense. This is ridiculous. I feel that Etsy is complicit in this bad business practice by allowing this company, Colibri, to sell products at Etsy.com. Also, I found no way to complain directly to Etsy anywhere on their website. Don't buy at Etsy.

Original review: June 10, 2021

They have absolutely zero business ethics. They do not care about their customers or sellers. They take the money and off they go. They have their own rules and therefore you are not protected as a customer or seller. Zero online or phone support. They are super shady as they never review any reports or complaints unless it comes from a lawyer. Don’t waste your time buying or selling there as you will never ever get a chance to settle any kind of issues with them. They literally don’t care and won’t reply no matter what your issue is.

Original review: June 8, 2021

I started selling on Etsy in 2012. My sales increased every year with 2018 being my best. Then in June of 2019 Josh Silverman (Etsy’s CEO) announced that Etsy would be cutting back on Google Ads in an effort to get sellers to pay for ads. That’s when my sales crashed. My sales for the second half of 2019 were 23% of the same period in the previous year and continue to drop. (And this was long before COVID-19). When they didn’t get the participation they wanted they implemented the Off-Site Ad program. Those whose sales are above 10K in a 12 month period are charged an additional 12% for every sale Etsy brought them through an Ad (mandatory) and those under 10K an additional 15%.

Those under 10K can opt out, but as with me I opted out and I’m getting no sales. This is in addition to the already 5% commission fee. The fees are charged against the entire total (item price + sales tax+ shipping costs). For many when this charge is figured against just the item price it can be as much as 30% or more. You may want to consider this before starting a shop on Etsy. I can’t afford to raise my prices that much and compete. I once made pretty good money to subsidize my S.S., now it is dead. In addition I don’t think Etsy is through finding more ways to charge more fees.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Ordered a hat in April. Didn't receive it on the expected date. Contacted Etsy and was told it was mishandled at USPS. They said they would send another one along with a shirt to compensate the delay. Received it yesterday. It is awesome along with a shirt and mask with LA logo to go with it. Overall, amazing! Worth the wait!

Original review: May 20, 2021

As an Artist, completely self employed, I had been selling on Etsy since 2007. Turns out Etsy management poached my shop and the very MINUTE I made $10,000 in the last 365 days, they immediately began deducting 12% for ads I NEVER ORDERED. I can't stop them. I can't opt out. So I've devised a way to make it work to my benefit. This is one of the Rare Cases where the government needs to step in to force Etsy to cease and desist in this practice. Stock price going down.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Avoid it at all costs!!! We are a legitimate clothing business registered in the US. Etsy terminated our shop one day after we made an account with no notice, and when I reach them out (after like a week), they replied this: "After a comprehensive review of your account, Etsy has determined it violates our Terms of Service or House Rules. As a result, Etsy has permanently closed your account. Please do not open any additional accounts for buying or selling, as they will be closed without notice. This decision is final, and we will not respond to any further outreach about your account. This email constitutes our final communication on this matter." Could not be ruder than this to a customer!!! Not even said hi back to me!!!!

Original review: May 16, 2021

My experience was trying to buy a Canon camera, asked the seller a question over texts, got a sufficiently positive answer and made my payment through Paypal. Only later never getting the camera delivered. I repeatedly asked for tracking numbers and arrival time of my camera and never received a response, finally opened a case with Etsy. Only to tell me there is nothing they could do. Then told me I should open a case with paypal trying to take the responsibility away from themselves. Upon further research I have found that there are no safeguards for the buyer on Etsy. All you need to open a bogus store is a fake name and email.

Until Etsy can hold funds in escrow until delivery is made there is no security for the buyer and etsy has no purpose. MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO STAY AWAY FROM ETSY

Original review: May 15, 2021

Ordered jewelry for my wife for Christmas. NEVER received anything I ordered. When I filed a complaint with ETSY I was told ETSY does NOT refund. That I would have to go to my credit company and file a complaint there. ETSY is a TOTAL ripoff. Buyer beware of this SCAM.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I would like to give Etsy a zero star rating, but the lowest it allows is one star. I set up a shop and created two listings at the end of April 2021. Right away I realized I could not find my listings or shop when using my shop name and the keywords I used for my listings. Of course I had to chat with someone via the computer and they had to send an email to a different team for me to get an answer. After two days I did not receive a response. Tried again two days later and was told they had to send another e-mail. When I still didn't receive a response I responded to an e-mail I had for a different question customer service previously helped me with and asked for a phone number. I called and that person told me she had to send an email to a team that can't be accessed by phone; I agreed.

I waited a few more days and did not receive a response, called again, and was told the same thing. That was about a week ago and no response. I called again today and asked to speak with a supervisor and was told there is no one else to speak to and another message had to be sent. I told them I will be writing reviews for Etsy and letting everyone I know what happened to me and also I will be reporting this to the BBB. I am very disappointed that a company like Etsy that is large and has many resources cannot get something like this figured out.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I called Etsy to inquire about my 200.00 refund and I stayed on the phone for 53 minutes listening to their music and no one answered the phone. This is so unprofessional. I just wanted to know what happened to my refund. The seller told me they never got the money because the order was not ship and they only get paid from Etsy when they shipped the order. I check my bank and It shows Etsy refunded the money then took it out again from my account. No one is answering my calls and the seller say they can't do nothing about it so I just need to know when I will get my refund back. They need to do better with their customer service.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I’ve been selling on Etsy for more than a year, and have inculcated a total of over 1800 sales and hundreds of 5 star reviews. My shop was suspended abruptly for no valid reason or explanation 2 weeks ago, and I no longer had access to my account, orders or payments. Etsy stated that they would be holding my payments on freeze and I wasn’t even allowed to contact my existing customers to notify them about what’s happened.

Customer service on Etsy is absolutely disgusting, appalling and rude. Their policies are contradictory, shambolic and diabolical at best. At first, we’d thought it was just us. But after doing our own research and reading genuine Trustpilot reviews and news articles, we have found a plethora of top sellers who were also unfairly taken down. These were top sellers with over 10,000 to 30,000 sales, selling handmade goods from their own homes, and even sellers who’ve been selling for more than 10 years.

Thankfully, we’ve always had our own website. So Etsy kicking us off isn’t a huge deal. It however served as a threat to our business reputation as customers from Etsy thought that we were “scamming” them when Etsy is the one who withholds the payments and disallows suspended sellers to even interact with customers. I understand where these customers are coming from, as I’ve bought bracelets for myself 2 months ago off an Etsy seller whose shop got shut down after - and my money was never returned. This wasn’t the seller’s fault, as her store was taken down by Etsy, not on her own accord.

Selling on Etsy isn’t what it used to be anymore. Years ago, Etsy used to be a fantastic platform for vintage and handmade sellers. Yet now, it’s infested with sellers who resell from Aliexpress, ironic to think that Etsy takes genuine shops down and not fraud sellers. Our sales reached an all time high after departing from Etsy and operating full time on our website. Thank God we listened to an ex seller’s advice who told us to always have a website even if we were doing well on Etsy. We genuinely wouldn’t have had the success we have today if it wasn’t for the woman’s advice.

Resolution response: May 20, 2021

Even though the email from Etsy said that both purchasing & selling accounts were closed, I tried to buy something. It would not let me. But then I had an opportunity to write their support department. So I did, but didn't expect to hear anything back. I did get an email back saying both accounts were restored. They said they could not share details about the situation but if I should ever have another situation to contact them at etsy.com/legal. Overall, the experience was still very negative leaving me distrustful to go through the effort to stock my shop with them. I am happy I can purchase now and have made a purchase today and it went through fine. I do not think I will open a shop though. I went over to Ebay to do that after this happened.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I have bought on Etsy since 2011. Last night I wanted to start a shop to sell some things from my sewing collection. I posted one item to see how this works. A couple hours later I logged in and it said my account was suspended. I presumed I did something incorrectly and went looking for the reason. No reason could be found. No communication from them.

I emailed them and they replied "After a close review of your account, my team and I have determined that we can no longer accommodate your business on Etsy. As a result, your account has been closed. Please do not open any additional accounts for buying or selling, as they will be closed without notice. This decision is final, and we will be unable to respond to any further outreach about your account. This email constitutes our final communication on this matter. Thank you for your attention to this." I guess I am on a list for social viewpoints. I am so glad this happened so quickly - I cannot imagine what shop owners who have so much vested on Etsy's platform. I feel for them.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I started a store back in 2012 on Etsy as an artist and seamstress. I was thrilled there was finally a marketplace that specialized in hand-made not mass-produced. It was difficult dealing with some buyers as they were used to purchasing items that were not hand-made, and complained of the price- I offered a Victorian skirt out of dupioni silk from a 100 year old pattern and sewn with an industrial machine and cloth covered buttons I made myself. It was quality for a wedding or reenactment but buyers were comparing it to cheap costuming shop listings. So there are always issues with a lack of education or finding your niche. That being said I thought if customers went to Etsy specifically for hand-made that they would be knowing what they are paying for. That is originality, rarity, and quality. But now after being a buyer these days I can see why this is happening- buyers are confused.

Sometimes you get real hand-crafted items and that makes you think it is the case for all of them, and if you are asked to pay higher you see it as justified without looking into the seller or you see sellers way under-pricing their items to please customers and now it is even worse because so many items labeled as hand-made are actually found on Amazon or AliExpress or Alibaba... priced like it is hand-made. 3 times as much. I myself got sucked in and had to cancel an order because I saw good reviews on a shop but had I looked into amazon and typed in the type of sweatshirt I was wanting. It was not an $80 on sale for $40 unique item, it was a $16 one by several sellers with ** quality and the Etsy seller had even stole the same model pics.

Bottom line- you have to do your research as a buyer thoroughly on a listing and the owner and shop as well as do a google search- for one to not get scammed and two, be a decent buyer if the seller is legit and pay what it is worth, and if it is selling for too cheap- let the seller know. It is not only the platform and it allowing so much fraud, but also sellers and buyers not knowing the value of what they are paying for- for better or worse.

Original review: May 6, 2021

No seller protection. Taking my business elsewhere. I’ve been on Etsy for almost 10 years, embarrassed by how the site has gone. The review system is absolutely ridiculous and Etsy takes such high fees with zero ability to help with issues. I’ve also been scammed as a buyer, it’s basically the Wild West.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have been selling on Etsy since 2017. I have always had 5 star reviews prior to Covid-19, when many set-backs befell us including illness and parcels that were delayed for months through Fedex. I was not unhappy that Etsy refunded my clients, but when I started to look closely into what all of this was costing me, I realized that Etsy was taking way more than the fees I had signed on for. Example: I just had a sale for $32.50 + $22 Postage. That adds up to $54.50. Etsy deposited only $41 of that to my account.

By the time I take off the postage cost, that leaves me with only $19. By the time I remove the cost of the actual product, I am left hanging onto $3. If I consider the fact that I paid to list this piece, I am left with even less. None of this accounts for my transportation costs to get to the villages where I collect my products. Yes - Etsy has stolen so much from my hard work, that I have actually lost money on this transaction - and now am realizing that almost every sale I've put through over the past year, has been subject to the same. I had no idea Etsy was stealing so much from me. I can no longer afford to do this as a hobby-job, which is sad because I support a lot of indigenous artists.

Another tactic Etsy has pushed on merchants over the past two years, is a call for free shipping. We small merchants are NOT Amazon - we cannot afford to include the price of shipping in our prices. NOT ONLY THAT - many buyers purchase multiple pieces. If they purchase 3 different items, and I've included the cost of the shipping into the product, that means the customer has been charged the shipping cost THREE TIMES. This is absolutely criminal and should be against the law.

I am now in the process of deactivating everything on my Etsy account and looking for a new platform. This criminal company is not loyal to their merchants, who built Etsy's empire. This criminal company may refund customers who are unsatisfied, which IS good on Etsy's part - customers should be safe to purchase online. That said, I wonder how many of these customers realize that the FREE SHIPPING was just a marketing ploy, and if they purchased more than one item at a time, they were charged postage for every item, when in reality, it costs the same to ship 3 items as it does to ship one (most of the time). Buyer Beware. This is a corrupt, heartless, thieving company that deserves to be exposed for the corporate greed they hide using smoke and mirrors.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Etsy allows sellers on their platform to sell recently manufactured charms, specifically Disney charms and allow them to be described as vintage when, in fact, they are not vintage and not even authentic! Beware of one seller who does this and then creates false accounts and false sales if they receive a bad review to counter the negative review the have received. It's blatantly obvious what the seller is doing and Etsy does nothing to stop this! Be careful when looking for Disney charms to avoid 2Hearts1Love62 on Etsy.

Original review: May 1, 2021

What a shame I didn't read these reviews before starting my store on Etsy. Disgusting attitude towards sellers. I have never met such a tough and boorish relationship, a huge commission, and in addition, your store can be closed without explanation. After 6 months of work, my store was closed without explanation, simply because we no longer need you and the quote “do not try to place an order or a new store”. Do you think this is very nice?

Firstly I was very disappointed to hear this from you. I am an artist and due to the pandemic it is very difficult to do business and here is some more news! I don’t understand at all what I could have done wrong: I immediately sent orders, I paid the Etsy bills in full, I haven’t got any bad review. So I do not understand at all how I could deserve such a cruel and categorical attitude. And in addition, you are depriving me of my main human right: the human right to defend one's honor and dignity. This is Franz Kafka, not otherwise. You are accused of something, but what - guess for yourself. Just a week ago I set up an Etsy store on Facebook, before that I spent a lot of time learning, before that: filling out listings according to the Etsy standard. And now you just take my case away from me and just let me know.

Ok, I agree with your decision, if only because I have no desire to give away a huge part of MY earnings, which I earned on my own (unlike you, who earn on others) with those who can only wield a whip, imagining at the same time that they are someone WITHOUT CREATORS. But you forget about karma. Let the same come back to you. You deserve it. and, believe me, I am not going to place a single order on your lightly salted website, which was lost somewhere in the 90s, so you shouldn't worry about it.

Sorry, but what a **. Right here, right in front of our nose, is the slavery of the 21 century (where skin color doesn't matter). What sellers does Etsy need? He came up with it himself, implemented it himself, created the listing himself, found a buyer himself, and after all this - pay the rent to Etsy. You don't even have to post a listing - just pay.

Original review: April 25, 2021

I am told that "I have to contact Esty support" to close my shop. Etsy support didn't respond to more than 5 requests in the last weeks, therefore I can close it! Unbelievable. I have no overdue payments and I requested to close it down so I am definitely NOT willing to pay anything anymore just because I am stuck with a shop I can't close!

Original review: April 24, 2021

I bought an item and never got it. In many conversations with the seller she said wait, wait and wait... because of covid19 the shipping time can be delayed. I agreed to wait and many month past already after purchase. So I apply to the seller thru customer support of Etsy and the seller offered refund but I stupidly made a request - I want the item. Buyer's protection finished and now the seller never answered on my messages. I contact Etsy customer support and they promised to help... I still have them e-mails about this. Finally never get the item, never got got the help from Etsy customer support (just nice talk without any action). I am very angry, lost because lost my money and a lot of my nerves and time.

Original review: April 22, 2021

Customer service can be rude and have had them hang up on me. Second, they do not follow up on complaints, requiring you to call back. When you do, they repeat themselves and the process repeats. Never had those problems on eBay.

Original review: April 21, 2021

As an Etsy.com small-time seller, I was quite surprised when I was charged twice today on a label. Etsy is no longer a company with customer service. In fact, there is in no manner to contact anyone to assist in this issue. The only thing that I can do is write reviews as this one until Etsy corrects their evil ways. I will contact my bank to cancel the double charge.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I've been selling on Etsy for years and have not had a problem with getting my funds after selling Things! I'm not sure why others are giving bad reviews, I'll continue to sell there.. Now eBay is where things get complicated. I'll never trust EBAY and the people who takes their Payment!!.. I'm stuck with ETSY!

Original review: April 17, 2021

Etsy is an online sale. I place an order and pay for almost $600.00. I have never received a product. Etsy said it is the seller. This Etsy website is like a scam online sale. After receiving the payment and have never delivered the merchandise.

Original review: April 17, 2021

Etsy is very dishonest to sellers. It suspends your shop suddenly without any prior warning and explanation. You can't fulfill your commitments to your customers. Worst of all, it starts to refund your customers who either got their orders or about to get it and they don't ever think of the loss they cause to the seller. Total **!

Original review: April 16, 2021

You can't cancel a purchase on ETSY. Not even from Paypal. You have to send an email to the seller -- Etsy doesn't sell anything, just represents sellers. And you have to HOPE he gets the email before he sends you something you will only want to return. Ridiculous system. No more ETSY for me.

Original review: April 14, 2021

So here's what happened to me: The site appears to be for local artisans creating hand-made items or selling antiques or vintage items. Sometimes that is the case, especially with anything that is custom made to spec like clothing, doll clothing, engraving etc. However, if you're looking for something unique such as jewelry then you're in for some major frustration. It seems that no matter how unique something appears to be, "search Google for this image" will soon reveal that it's just another piece of garbage made in China that the "artist" has just ordered in bulk on Alibaba and taken their own photos. Some items I have seen listed as Hand Made and found them in the sale bin at Micheals or worse, the dollar store, and have been flipped onto Etsy making claims they can't possibly back up such as the type of alloy in the metal. I have also NEVER found a single piece of "vintage" or "antique" jewelry that I didn't find on another site within 10 minutes.

This is just the beginning of the unpleasant experience though. It gets worse. If a user starts harassing you and you go to file a complaint, you get an auto-response trying to up-sell you on their paid store service! In my case, the user had asked me if I agreed to communicate through personal e-mail and I had; weeks later the harassment began. The Etsy customer service tried to use this as an excuse to blame me for having been harassed and when I called them out on it I was ignored.

So these guys REALLY don't care about what happens to their customers, all they care about is people opening stores so that they can grab listings fees... I'm sticking with Ebay and if I want a unique piece of jewelry it's going to have to be commissioned from a local artist because the online market is so unbelievably saturated with Chinese garbage that there's no way to know what you're putting on your skin, what it's really made from and if it's actually hypoallergenic.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Etsy likes to close shops without warning, specific reasons, or any communications with shop owners. A quick look around google will show this happens to a ton of people. I had a successful shop in good standing and was axed in a heartbeat with no recourse. They treat sellers like crap IF something goes wrong or not to their liking, and they'll refuse to interact with you. Oh, and you can be civil on the phone with them and they'll treat you terribly. I was told it's their policy to hang up on people.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Toni at sticks and stones sold me a necklace, I received confirmation and receipt of payment. Received shipping notice. Waited waited waited to receive only to discover their LIE that it never shipped because seller decided she wanted more money. Etsy condones deceptive practice. Do yourself a favor and don't shop here.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I opened account and after I entered all my legal private bank information, my account was deactivated and I cannot even contact the support. There were no reason for it at all! They probably just stolen my info!!!

Etsy Company Information