3.8/5 (1745 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

In conjunction with Etsy not properly vetting vendors, this and my own ignorance cost me over a thousand dollars by a scammer vendor. I still cannot find a way to even text Etsy about this. The scammer played their policies perfectly to avoid an automatic refund. I have had similar issues of sellers not shipping products on Ebay and Amazon, but they have effective customer service which promptly took care of the problem. It's like Etsy is on autopilot, no one is home.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I made a purchase on Dec 14th for a purse on Etsy. I Tried contacting the seller through Etsy and was informed that the seller did not exist. I tried contacting the seller directly and received no reply. I was finally allowed by Etsy to open a case, but the company immediately closed it unresolved saying the seller was no longer on their marketplace and I needed to take my complaint up with PayPal instead. Worst place ever to order from, go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

On Dec 31 I ordered 10 yards of fabric for 108.88 from seller Cynthia whose shop is PRETTYGOODWOMAN. She refused to answer any messages for 2 days. On Friday she sent an email stating I should receive my order by Monday, I asked for the third time for a tracking number but NO RESPONSE. WELL MONDAY CAME AND GONE and guess what the Etsy shop prettygoodwoman was deleted. Still I don't have my product or my money and Etsy has FAILED to respond. I'm thinking I need to go to their Brooklyn business location and see if ETSY even exist. If Not I'm gonna sue them for conspiracy to commit monetary recourse fraud under RICO. Too bad I can't share the screenshots to verify what I'm saying but DONT DO BUSINESS WITH ETSY. THEY'RE A SCAM and most sellers are scams as well. ** them. POS 40 thieves. Mfs. They need to be sued all of them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have a seller's account. Etsy nickels and dimes their sellers. Connecting Square to Etsy charges you a fee. Then you get charged fees for sales not attached to Etsy by Etsy when you use Square. They want you to eat the cost of shipping by offering better placing with their algorithm. If you raise your pricing to reflect shipping being added bargain hunters won't purchase from you. Then each sale gets a percentage of each sale. I sold some items totalling $18.30. By the time Etsy was done taking my money I was left with $7.13. How is it I put in all of the work, make and ship the item, but they get paid more for it and I don't break even? I figured the percentage they were supposed to take was just 91 cents. Where's the rest of the money gone? I tried reaching out and was told they couldn't help through chat and would email back. It's been three days now and no word. They stole my money. Etsy swindles artists.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I am not at all satisfied by customer service Etsy provides. It's biased and always from buyer side. They never think from seller point of view. Very very bad experience on day of Xmas. Poor customer service.

Resolution response: Dec. 28, 2019

Etsy intervened this morning and gave me a full refund for the item I ordered and never received. Etsy apologized for the behavior of their seller. However, the seller did not refund me or apologize. Thank you Etsy. StrangeRains has shown themself to be pathologically dishonest and unprofessional. BUYER BEWARE OF STRANGERAINS.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I ordered an item from StrangeRains on 11-29 and never received item. Contacted seller on 12-24. They were rude, sarcastic, and unprofessional. They harassed me with a multitude of emails, used intimidation and bullying tactics and won't refund my money. BUYER BEWARE OF STRANGERAINS ON ETSY. All this on Christmas! Complained to Etsy. No word yet.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I found the most beautiful bouquet of dried flowers on Etsy. It was around $100. The pictures bouquet was absolutely beautiful. Bridal Wish Design is the shop name. They were very cordial, easy to work with until there was a problem. I got my hundred dollar dried flower bouquet but it was nothing like the pictures bouquet. There were several pictures. The name of the bouquet was Peach Dream, there was not even one peach colored flower in the bouquet I received. I have bought from Etsy for years and dealt with some really amazing sellers and I have never returned anything oh, so I thought. Maybe they had sent the wrong bouquet.

This is when my wedding nightmare began. The owner of the shop immediately said, "Well if you return it. I can get you a new one but that's definitely the bouquet you ordered." I did say, "No this can't possibly be the same bouquet," and sent pictures of my hand holding the bouquet I received. Seller accused me of holding it so that it looks smaller and different. I didn't have to do that it was smaller and different than the pictured bouquet. This began a back-and-forth between she and I Thompson, where she accused me of being a thief trying to get something for free and basically treating me like I was a common Criminal. I finally had had enough of being insulted by this woman and I would not pay the shipping fee to return a bouquet that was obviously not the one I ordered.

My fiance and I finally just went to a craft store and bought some beautiful fake peonies and made a gorgeous bouquet for about $20. Meanwhile I'm still planning my wedding and dealing with this woman that owns the shop Bridal wish design. I finally just opened a case with Etsy on matter of principle because this bouquet was so far from the picture that I had seen on Etsy that there was no way I could use it. I truly cannot understand how that woman can ruin someone's wedding day the way she did mine and she enjoyed it.

Finally after my wedding Etsy resolve the case and ruled in my favor. I tried to leave a review. That's when I noticed all of her reviews are either other Sellers and they're fake or it's the same review 3 or more times with different dates. That is when it became clear to me that this stuff is nothing more than a Dropship. All the reviews are fake reviews that are real and are any way critical of the shop, shop replies in a very nasty snarky way. I hope I can save one person at least from giving this horrible person any of their time or money she truly is not dealing with people in good faith

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I am very unhappy with Etsy, although I have given them a good deal of business. When there is an issue, they are non-existent. No phone number, unavailability of chat, and only automated responses via email. There are some great sellers on the site but Etsy does not help the buyer or the seller if there is a problem. They make a lot of money from sellers and buyers but invest nothing in services for them, us. Beware of Etsy, a very poor customer support business.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Etsy has the worst customer service for sellers. If you are a seller on Etsy you are worth nothing but dollar signs to them. All they care about is the buyers, and the buyer is most definitely not always right, a lot of people don’t read when they’re buying and then come back at you and destroy your feedback, or harass you, and Etsy will do nothing about it. You can get harassed and bullied and Etsy has no protection for you, they basically say “oh well”, you as the seller have no protection, they will shut down your shop without even warning, if you’re a hard-working honest seller it doesn’t matter to them. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall. I've never on my life has such horrible customer service. They don’t care about their sellers plain and simple. It’s a horrible place to sell because of this. Etsy would be nothing without their sellers. Hard work and honesty means nothing. It’s truly horrible.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I didn't receive my package from a seller on Etsy. When I contacted the company, they shut down my claim without even hearing what happened. I lost money and I have lost trust in this company. If anything goes, and money is so easily thrown down the drain, how can I trust them for future orders?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I purchased a silver bangle through ETSY and the suppliers company name was SilverEngravedGifts. I paid $84.97 on 25th of November and suppose to arrive 5th of December and today is 13th of December. I did not received anything yet. I send email to ETSY. They did not respond to my email and I send email to SilverEngravedGifts no respond too, I think they are conning people of DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY'S. Regards Mardo.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I have placed two orders through Etsy and had unfortunate experiences both times. Both were Items I ordered for gifts. The first gift was supposed to be sent within two days. For some reason, the provider could not fulfill the order, but never notified me. The second time, a shipping address popped up on the screen in the order process. I indicated that was not the correct address and filled in the correct shipping address to the person for whom the gift was purchased. Instead, after I placed the order, the gift was sent to the wrong address. I don't know if Etsy is over their head trying to compete with competent internet retailers or if the small dealers Etsy represents are not savvy enough to be selling their products through the internet. In any case, I will not continue to do business through Etsy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have not had trouble with Etsy purchases before, but in trying to correct a mistake in shipping that I thought was corrected, the company makes it entirely impossible to contact them. One number or web page after another gives a redirect until I it tells you that you must wait to open a case. Unfortunately, had I been able to contact someone who could have helped, I would not have to wait another five days when the problem will or could be a bigger mess. I am now unsure whether or not I will receive my items in time to be mailed out for Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have made many good purchases through Etsy over the years, and always try to leave a positive rating of the seller. Recently I made two purchases that were not as described or unacceptable. I tried to leave honest reviews of these seller. Etsy wouldn’t let me post a rating of less than four stars and instructed me to contact the seller with my issues, One seller sent a rather snarky response offering return of the jewelry item. Upon receipt they would determine if the item was unused and offer a refund. Original and return shipping was on me. The other seller never responded. In both cases ETSY WOULD NOT ALLOW AN HONEST REVIEW OF THE SELLER/product. Needless to say I will think twice before purchasing anything through Etsy.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I am a first time ETSY customer. On the 9th November I ordered 2 different personalized cushions, from 2 different sellers. I requested both to be delivered to the same address. The first was delivered in a timely manner, to the address I requested. The second cushion is currently being help hostage by the seller Currents and Clouds. They are demanding additional delivery charge. I can’t get my head around this as the first seller managed to deliver to the address given. I have tried to have ETSY intervene several times and they seem unwilling. Would love some advise on how to resolve this. I am reluctant to hand over more money....

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I used Etsy for years, basically since they launched. We even ordered our engagement ring on Etsy. I had no idea their protection policy was so poor. Supporting small vendors is a PLUS, but when you get a bogus vendor Etsy does not have your back. Long story short, I asked for a refund for an item 5 weeks after it didn't arrive, and no communication from vendor. Then it was rushed to me and Etsy closes the case on account of the vendor, NOT me (the buyer). I communicated dissatisfaction bc the item was not cheap, and arrived much too late for what I ordered it for. And Etsy remains incommunicado on the issue. Case closed. Unfortunately, consumers of Etsy, you are NOT BACKED, or prioritized. Doesn't matter how loyal you are. Such a shame. Never ordering from them again with my hard earned money, they're not trustworthy and their policies to back the buyer FAIL.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I opened an Etsy shop because I have a store that sells nothing but handmade items made by local artisans. I had two sales and all the sudden Etsy shut down my shop with no warning. Luckily those sales were completed delivered and Etsy has kept my money. They're telling me they will not reimburse my money until March of 2020 (6 months later). They State their reason is because the sale may not go through even though there's a 30-day return policy that has already passed. I have filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. Unfortunately I still can't get my money even though I paid the artist and I paid for shipping. The consumer has the product and Etsy has my money. Horrible place. Do not do business with them and do not buy from them anymore.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Etsy charged me 1,000 of dollars setting up a store, then terminated my store stating that they linked my store to some other store. They gave me know information or anyway of solving the issue. This in my opinion is corporate fraud at its worst. I wish Etsy could be held accountable for this fraud...

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Extremely disappointed in both Etsy and Northshire. I ordered a $135 home decor and got nothing in return. Will never purchase from either company again. After numerous emails back and forth with seller, they said there's nothing they can do. Buyers beware!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I sold on Etsy for 3.5 years and 1 day woke up to my shop being closed permanently due to only a handful of open cases. Most of them due to the fact that no one read through listing details and disregarded the fact that I had a 4-week processing timeframe right on my shops message board. Etsy cares nothing about sellers who actually handmake their items and need adequate time to make those items properly. They claim to be the #1 site for unique and handmade items yet they boost the shops selling cheap overseas knockoffs for a fraction of the cost and time it takes a true "handmade" artist to create the same item. They say you can have your own shop policies yet slap you on the wrist if you don't bend or break those rules to accommodate the most demanding of customers regardless if you did EVERYTHING right.

They refunded customers on my behalf even though the items were shipped on time. When I asked the customers to return, they basically said too bad, Etsy says we don't have to return. I had a customer put in a "not as described" claim for a custom dress because it wasn't an "exact" replica of the $200 dress she wanted me to replicate when I told her from the beginning I don't copy other artists and she said it was fine. I then sent another dress to her, which was double the cost of the original just to close the claim against me. 6 months later after sending photos of the child wearing the dress, she opens another claim that it was yet again "not as described" and told Etsy support I didn't even make it, she did! I provided a ton of proof and Etsy refunded her anyways and let her keep both of my dresses. I was out the items and all shipping, material and labor costs.

I asked Etsy for a reason why they refunded her and basically got told it was none of my business and that would be the last of the communication. Ya, that's really how they speak to their sellers. Sellers who repeatedly bring them in income. Disgusting in my opinion! They treat their sellers like garbage. Do not sell on Etsy if you're a legitimate handmade artist. You'll waste so much time and money. You will be ripped off by buyers, for Etsy will side with them every time. And if you don't maintain a perfect track record they will close you down no matter how many 5 star reviews you have.

If you don't want customers controlling tour business and dictating your policies, then don't even think about selling on Etsy. You will be overrun by all the trademark and cheap overseas goods sold in 99% of the shops. And all the ** "unique" craft items that are simply purchased from Joann and Hobby Lobby and resold as "one of a kind" on Etsy. It's all **!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I bought an item on Etsy that arrived broken. The seller was very rude and refused to give me a refund. I complained to Etsy and they did nothing to support me although the seller was breaking the law. They claimed that I had to sort it out with the seller and that it was nothing to do with them, although I had bought the item through Etsy. So if you buy through Etsy and are unlucky enough to have a bad experience, do not expect Etsy to offer any support whatsoever. I have lost my money and will never use Etsy again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I bought 3 t shirts from Etsy. Made in China. I received 3 t shirts - not one of them was the t shirt I had picked. You just can't trust the Chinese. Don't waste your money! Thanks Mark. Minor things: all t shirts were the wrong size; delivery took 4 weeks.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I ordered a service from Etsy. While in contact with the seller in chat, the tag was for $65. While reviewing my bank statements a few months later, I saw I was charged $90. I would like to forward the email I received containing the chat, with the icon of the service and the price that I agreed to pay, but Etsy does not have an email address or a phone number. The system keeps shifting me to the sellers page. It's not the sellers issue. It's Etsy's, who, between the time of order and time of billing, added $25. My proof needs to be emailed from my gmail account and there is no way to contact Etsy. I will NEVER use Etsy again, nor will I advise anyone I know to use Etsy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I just created a shop and paid to have several items listed. In less than two weeks my shop was deactivated. I've called and emailed for three days and can't get a response as to why it was closed. I didn't violate any of their rules, I posted several different shirts and sweatshirts for sale.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I placed a plant order the afternoon of Friday October 4. My credit card was charged right away by Etsy. I canceled that order a few hours later after going into respiratory distress due to pollen according to pulmonologist. At first, seller did not respond to cancelation, then said she would cancel minus $5.00. Then -after several weird messages- seller emailed me shipping tracking number. If shipped, estimated delivery was 10/11 to 10/18. I tried USPS tracking number only to be told: "ORDER HAS NOT SHIPPED". I had to stop payment on my credit card and file a complaint with the BBB. Etsy is just plain dishonest and I'll stay as far away as I can.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I've never brought anything off etsy but I've been a seller since the start of this year and it's been absolutely awful from start to finish. Three orders in I got an email from Etsy saying if I didn't fix my personal information within my account, it would be suspended as I am under eighteen (I was born in 1981 so yeah not 18). I sent them a picture of my passport and ID card and after a three day back and forth (also they take 24+ hours to respond to emails that state "If issue isn't fixed within 24 hours your account may be suspended") I didn't get a reply after stating all my information which matched the identification I had given them.

Two days later I go on etsy and they've suspended my account, with a new person emailing me, accusing me of being a child and telling me I need to change my information and get written approval from my parents to say that I - an almost 38 year old woman - am allowed an Etsy account and my parents must email them from their email address after I'm finished updating my information. I mean come on.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I order a birthday gift for my niece and the selection was wonderful, she wanted a 80's theme, and they had all kinds of gifts. The checkout time was so fast, and the website is so easy to navigate. I even left a message for the seller, and her reply was really fast and professional. I recommend that site to my sister and my brother, I love it for anything you might need for gift giving, thank you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Etsy makes their money from their sellers, so they have little interest in helping buyers when things go wrong. I have been fighting a crooked seller who violated every Etsy rule from the start, and I am not able to file a case against him because he did not enter the order as filled and shipped on my Etsy invoice page. So technically, the order is still outstanding. Because of that game playing, I have to wait about a week — when the “problem with unfilled order” window opens — to start the formal complaint process. And I am not able to leave a review.

As just one example of where Etsy’s priorities lay, here is an excerpt for their seller page, on how to avoid a scam buyer: “A buyer who immediately insists on communicating off of our site may be questionable." The Etsy seller who ripped me off communicated with me off site! Yet no such advice exists on the buyer information pages on Etsy. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Etsy support, only to be told, over and over again, that they could do nothing. I was told to wait until the window opened to file a case against the seller. When I commented that it seemed that they do nothing to punish their dishonest sellers, the woman I was speaking to said this: “When we chop one head off, a dozen more pop up.” She actually said that. Wow. So that is the position Etsy takes. Why bother disciplining bad sellers, when there are so many others, and so many more who will take their place? Don’t bother with this website.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Etsy blocked my shop after many years loyal selling with no prior warning and no reason given as to why. When I called to ask why, they hung up the phone on me. All I can see that happened is that some deliveries went out late, due to a difficult personal time, after years of five star reviews, and they didn’t even give me warning or inquire why the sudden change. Also they blocked my account so I can’t call them, email or contact them in any way. Very harsh for a few delayed items and years of high volume sales. Surely this is in violation of GPDR? To not allow me to log in and remove things like my bank info.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Someone accessed my account from another country and started racking up charges. I immediately contacted Etsy and they basically did nothing. There are two customer service numbers on the internet and neither of them work. The only way you can interact with a human is via a chat function. I finally got someone on the other end of my "chat" and she asked me a bunch of questions and assured me someone would be in contact with me in the next 2-72 hours. It has been a week and I have not heard from anyone at Etsy. And now they have locked me out of my account so I can't even access the customer service "chat" function. I am now working with my credit card company to decline the fraudulent charges. I will NEVER use Etsy again. They basically don't have a customer service department and don't care if someone hacks into your account and runs up a bunch of fraudulent charges. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE, PEOPLE!

Etsy Company Information