3.9/5 (3025 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Beware of Thomas ** from Florida. Beware of Thomas ** from Florida, after he received 3 assorted ‘whimsical’ Christmas trees he messaged me that a piece had come unglued. What should he do? I responded immediately stating it must have gotten shuffled in shipping and just use a hot glue gun or Gorilla Glue works wonders.

I messaged him again two days later to make sure all was well and I take pride in all of my HANDMADE items and I would make it right, even though I do not accept refunds. He waited 3 WEEKS to message me and tell me that the tree was crooked, hence the phrase ‘whimsical’ but it was ok. He then waited 2 weeks after he stated everything was ok, total of 2 months after initial purchase and gave me 3 stars and contacted Etsy who took upon themselves without contacting me for my side to give him a full refund. How do you offer a full refund on my behalf without asking me the details. They paid it and did not charge me but it is the principle of the matter. He has my items, which coincidentally, he sells at a ‘mall’ and got them for free. Beyond pissed at the audacity of Etsy!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Karmen Serazin KWoodstore is a FRAUD! Stay away from KWoodstore SCAM propagated on Etsy. I bought a simple knife stand there. Seemingly - what could go wrong! However, the item was completely useless and damaged: the knives are supposed to be held on by a magnetic stripe, which is faulty and the knives simply fall down. But that’s not all! Karmen Serazin did not tell me about HIDDEN COSTS, which totaled up to over half of the price of the item itself! When confronted with facts she promised to pay the hidden costs and taxes, which she didn’t disclose, but didn’t fulfill her promise. She was extremely rude and then just stopped communicating. Horrible Etsy support deleted my reviews and refused to interfere and help.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

We have been happy with the sales on Etsy but they do not seem to care at all about the seller experience and there is no way to block problematic buyers or scammers. As a seller, it is nearly impossible to get anybody at etsy to help with disputes. I still recommend selling on this platform but they need to work on helping sellers and not just exploiting them. DO NOT USE PROMOTED LISTINGS. That system is just setup to waste as much of your advertising dollars as possible and the results have been hugely disappointing.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Etsy is a scammer solicited site. Lost $13454.00 to a fraudulent seller. Case mediation is non-existent. CAN'T GET CREDIT CARD REFUNDED!!! MAIL FRAUD AND CREDIT CARD FRAUD. I can't express my warning enough!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I have been selling my items on Etsy for over 8 years. It used to be a great place for Artists and Sellers of vintage and handmade items. Everything ran smoothly. Customers and Sellers alike were happy. One can see, from reviews of this site, when things changed, and it is not because of Covid. It is from Greed.

Etsy changes policies on a whim, not considering sellers opinions. This is so ironic, because if a seller has a technical problem with their site, the reply one gets from the "form letter" is: "We are only a platform for you to use to sell you items. We don't step in to help with issues with buyers etc. Ask the seller's community to offer suggestions and help". Essentially leaving us to our own devices, unprotected and exposed. These are not minor issues which I attempted to contact support about. And I clearly stated why I was reaching out, numerous times. Issues like bogus customer accounts and attempts to steal mine.

When there is an issue with their platform, there is no way to contact the offices of Etsy. Or speak to anyone with a heartbeat. Only a chat which is not manned by humans. Only robots with scripts that are of no help, and don't pertain to the issue at hand. The robots say, "I will escalate this to a higher team, and you will receive an email". Days later when said email arrives, it is another form letter, going on and on about things that have nothing to do with my issue. When I respond to this email, numerous times over a period of weeks, there is never a response from a robot or human. And we are left to figure it out, or close our shops.

Etsy used to take about 7% off the top, and offered shipping deals if we purchased the labels through them instead of the Post Office. Now, it is closer to 20%, and more if a customer finds your shop from a search engine. With the sneaky .25 added to shipping labels, forcing sellers to pay a large fee when a customer finds our goods through Google, or any online search engine. Never breaking down what item was "hit on". If a customer comes from say Google search, and purchases an item, seller is forced to pay for this forced advertising. This only benefits Etsy. And we end up losing so much, or having to raise our prices to compensate, pushing us out of the market.

I think it is despicable to take so much from struggling artists. Especially now when everyone is suffering. Oh look at their stock. It has skyrocketed in the past year as a result of these unethical changes. On top of this, Etsy strong arms sellers into offering Free Shipping, otherwise, you are sent to the back of Etsy's search results as a punishment. That costs us about 4.00 per item if we ship free. Etsy used to be a place where you could confidently sell and buy, because buyers and sellers had to be members or guests. Now, people can just "purchase" an item with no membership, no email and no info other than an address. (This is my most recent issue, and my reason for contacting the robots.)

Bottom Line: It has become unprofitable for Artists to sell their items on this site. And potentially a risk, as now we have no idea who we are shipping our items to. With claims later from customers that they never received their item and they want a refund or replacement. Even when an item has tracking and shows as delivered. So, without ANY help from Etsy's Support, sellers must refund or replace said item at their expense, because if they do not, sellers risk receiving a negative review, or less than 5 stars. With Etsy's new STAR SELLER program, if you receive less than 5 stars on a review, you are once again bumped to the end of the search listings. Etsy's "Star Seller" program, recently initiated, distracts sellers from focusing on their art. It is totally for Etsy's bank account, and actually detrimental and alienating to sellers.

Imagine, spending hours creating an item, listing the item, selling the item, shipping the item with tracking, only to have customer say they did not receive, leaving you less than the 5 stars if you don't refund them??? And where is Etsy?? Nowhere. But they bump you off the program and to the end of the search results. If you are thinking of selling your creations, or vintage items on Etsy, seriously reconsider. There are other sites and ways to sell confidently and safe, whilst keeping your customers happy, without lining Etsy's pockets when there is NO support for you. I hope that I have been of some help. My statements here are true, but they are nonetheless my opinion and my personal experience. Others may have a different opinion and experience. Research carefully.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Etsy has probably the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I'm on day 11 of my support request and still no... support. I received an automated reply that has absolutely nothing to do with my request. Days later I get a "hey we don't think we responded to your request". I replied and let them know that I hadn't. Still nothing. I keep asking for help and eventually (days later) get a response from someone asking for information they already have. I replied with what they requested and now it's silent again. I've never experienced a more dysfunctional customer service department. Either that or they simply do not care about the people who keep the business running.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought curry leaf on sep 15th with expected delivery on Sep 21; never received the item and reached out to the seller. He replied me to contact the customs with import permit! There is no guarantee you will receive the item from this seller.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Ordering on this website is very difficult. I have been trying to order a teardrop necklace for my pet's ashes. I have tried 5 times, with no luck. I am wondering if this is a legitimate site that orders can actually be placed on. It is awful! I think the BBB needs to be informed so they can investigate the legitimacy of the site. I had looked at many different sites and containers that would suit my needs. I finally find something I like and I can't get it ordered. C. **

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I ordered a ring on Etsy and it never arrived. Over 30 USD down the drain, I definitely won't be using them again. I don't know how they expect people to shop with them if there are no guarantees that your money won't just go to waste. Hopefully this review prevents someone else from going through the same experience.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

There is a seller on Etsy by the name MadeByMelLLC from Grove Cty Ohio. Her name is Melissa. On Aug 26, 2021 I placed an order from her website. It was a bowl cozy and I never received it. I wrote her a note telling her this and she did respond back to me but apologizing for the inconvenience and she said she will check the post office. She also said that she mailed out two bowl cozies free of charge for the inconvenience. I haven’t received them either. Everything she supposedly mailed out to me I didn’t received any of them. I wrote her another message a few days ago. I went back and she doesn’t respond to me. I called my bank to explain what had happened and I did get a full refund of my money back to me.

The point is, I am very reluctant to go back to Etsy and buy anything from the website. I don’t feel like it is safe. I am now worried that this Melissa has my information “credit card number”. I don’t know what they can do about this. Probably nothing and this is why I will no longer shop at Etsy. I am sorry but I will not support any small business ever again. I have already closed my account but I wanted you all to know this information. I think you don’t have trustworthy people that sell items on Etsy. Not all of them are bad but they are a lot out there. I can't even get in touch with any team members to tell them about this problem. This world we are living in is sad.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Etsy support is horrible. Their customer's service sucks and their sellers sucks even more. They all are big scammers. I bought a product from their seller, they took my money in a timely manner but I never received the product. There is no buyer protection. I have never seen this kind a customer service. I will never ever buy any stuff from etsy. They just lost a potential buyer.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Etsy is a wonderful place to find unique and kooky things from sellers who may not have another way to reach you as a consumer. However, you are out of luck if you have any sort of problem with the site. I have discovered that they don't have a phone number nor e-mail to contact them to get ahold of a real person to hear your concerns. They only have a chat in which robots give you scripted answers but do not listen to you and do not care to help you. I have contacted their chat support 3 times and 3 times they tell me to wait for a "special team" email and when I get it, it's just FAQ's and no resolution. I hope sellers find other avenues to sell so that we (buyers) can actually buy items.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Still haven’t received my money after 4 months. This is terrible and no purchases will ever be made to Etsy ever again. They already have a bad reputation and now I can see why. You spend money to purchase and ship an item during a pandemic only to be shafted.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I like Etsy, I buy a lot through it and I recommend it. What I don't like is Etsy not enforcing its own regulations. One such rule says that sellers are not allowed to sell items that mock or demean any group or religion. Several Etsy sellers sell "art" that mocks Christianity. If they sold posters, prints and other items that mocked Islam, for example, you can bet those sellers would get an earful from Etsy. The issue isn't honest criticism of a religion, it's mean spirited mocking, and Etsy lets it slide.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Etsy is literally the worst platform for sellers, please guys refrain from using it. You are going to waste your time and valuable income to try and get things right and it’s never gonna work. My experience with Etsy started few months back where I tried selling and they just closed my account with no warning or even a reason. Thereafter I purchased a VPN to try and open a new account to get this to work with my gf's info.

My new approach had no content violations or any policy violations and was still suspended due to their algorithm which they don’t give reason why it gets suspended and then after the appeal they send a generic apology. Happened twice and with no fault of mine, I finally made a sale. They closed my account completely 3 days later without the sale going through, with again no reason to which I requested a review and they just sent a generic email to say I must not contact further. I spent an entire month making my designs to not interfere with algorithms without affecting the integrity of my design and it still wasn’t enough. Etsy does not care about the seller or the buyer because now the buyer's money is being held until the buyer requests a refund on the product which I’ve read take up to 4 months of back and forth. Don’t use etsy, for anything!! Take a stand against a giant company who doesn’t care about its clients!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Hello. I want to share my experience with Etsy customer service. On 25 August, While I was creating my account with my own information's, after putting all my personal information and my credit card numbers, and then it say, "Your account is suspended." And they will tell you it's because I violate the policy, without zero explanation. Be careful before giving them your informations.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I ordered 4 sets of earring hoops. It took 2 weeks to arrive and when it did one set was two different colors and designs completely. The other was very flimsy, too small and not as described. The other two sets never arrived. I have made 5 contact attempts with both Etsy and their Silvette seller and PayPal. I received no response from anyone. At this point I'm completely out the money I spent. I will never use Etsy, Silvette, or PayPal again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

This was a horrible purchase! I'll be fair by stating that the seller claimed to have mailed out the two bigfoots about a week after I purchased but the post office returned the small envelope so on his next attempt he placed that envelope in the next as proof. This entire process took over 6 weeks & I had direct contact with him several times. Finally when it didn't show up around week 6 he said he'd give a refund but at this point I told him wait until Monday and see if they arrive to be fair cause I'd already waited this long, but come Sunday I got the notification that I was refunded. Come Monday the envelope arrived, only one of the bigfoots was broken (these were wooden) and neither of them had a necklace in or attached! After countless emails of dealing with this issue already and being refunded I decided to move on with my life as this was my first purchase on Etsy.

Oddly enough a few weeks later after receiving the items I got a notification from Etsy I could see the beginning of the message and it was that guy. He actually began the message with "I find it hard to believe you..." & well I'll never know exactly what he said cause I'm way too busy to stop and let this continue to interfere with my life. My total purchase was $17.80. $6 per bigfoot necklace plus $2 shipping each & tax. There is not many wooden bigfoot sellers out there. I think he was the only one at the time. Without tracking I will no longer make purchases on Etsy.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Not good service to the customer, Not delivered of product. Sadly the seller/store does not take ownership of the item to be delivered to the customer! If the item is lost on transit or is not delivered and even with tracking evidence the seller cleans their hands and inform "is not their responsibility that the item get deliver", which is a behavior of a dishonest store. Very bad experience* *Facts for disappointment 1. Order placed on June 25, 2021As of August 19 the item has not arrived to my residential lockbox mailbox. 2. I kindly request a refund. The store does not want to refund the money for the item not delivered to the customer, and dishonestly wants to keep customer money. 3. The tracking shows the item has NOT been delivered to the customer as you may find on the Swiss Post with the tracking listed here UA101044535CH.

I left the feedback above on my review option on Etsy.com and Etsy for some unknown reason deleted it without any notice to me. WOW, for which now I think, how many feedbacks of bad customer service they have deleted for many stores, and for Catopia store. Which could mean people only see good reviews then, even if the store is not providing a good service/ or taking responsibility for items not delivered to the customer. I decided to post this to share my experience, and maybe with this at least some people can avoid bad experiences and protect their money.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I tried to purchase from one of their vendors but never received my order and when I filed a request for my money back no reply. I am going through my PayPal to get my money refunded. This company is a joke and this was my first and last ever order with this company. Run from this company and tell everyone you know not to do business with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Company pays under what the item is listed for, Company collects VAT/GST and leaves you hanging with the bill. Company does not release funds for item sold with TAX/VAT/GST and leaves you to foot the bill with Dept. of Revenue and other country's GST/VAT. Company collects amount of sale and taxes, and pays less than what you are selling for. NY Gangsters operating this outfit, Stealing money from the lil guy and the mom and pop businesses.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

What should be a great site. They are allowing scam artist to freely steal the money of hard working people, treating actual businesses like they should treat these scam artists who are displaying one product and sending a completely different item if they send anything at all. Sellers are being shut down and charged for whatever they come up with, no communication other than closing your account without notice and don't assist upset customers with actual complaints. They steal from sellers. Example I should not be paying shipping when my customers are paying me for that. I am missing over 100 dollars just for shipping and their math is horribly off. They rob you as a seller And as a customer. Don't waste your money unless you know the store is legit. Request physical personal pictures from the seller and then do a reverse search on the picture. If a person is legit they have no issues getting you proof of the products they sell.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

The listing of the hat/cap showed a really nice cap. It looked to be good quality. However!... The hat was single stitch barely correct paths. I was embarrassed to put it on. Hat was flat in a bag. It was purely bad. They said they would give me half my money back. They know it is junk. DO NOT BUY. I hardly ever write a bad review. This deserved one.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Okay so I've never had any problems with Etsy in the past; I've purchased cute things but it also isn't a platform I use often to buy so I never thought I'd have an issue with them until now. Recently, however, I noticed four unauthorized purchases that I NEVER made (for $2000+). I freaked out because this meant my account was severely compromised and I reached out to Etsy both phone AND email support and have not heard from them. I was on hold for almost an hour but nobody answered. Fortunately, my cards have not been used in this case (which is alarming for someone else I'm sure) for these odd purchases but the seller's profile is super sketchy/probably fake. I've never received any notifications on my "purchase confirmation" either which was why I am now noticing weeks later. I've just decided to close my account entirely. So much for their "24/7 customer service." *eye roll*

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I am so disappointed in the lack of support I have received from Etsy. As a shop owner, I pay monthly fees on top on sale fees and plus more if you actually what your shop to be advertised, if you don't pay for advertising fees it's almost impossible for consumers to find your store. I recently had a customer make a purchase from my shop that was from o/s. I had to refund the order as I don't sell items internationally. I then went to refund the order as I did this is it came up with an error, I contacted support online to help with this issue. Support said to keep on trying to issue the refund, on my app, desktop and different internet browsers. So this is what I did with no success, I then notice my bank had suspended my account due to numerous transactions made from Etsy.

Every time I tried to refund Etsy took $15 out of my account (I am not sure why I have to pay $15 for a refund to my customer). The support said I had not issued a refund and could not see any issue. I then asked for a contact number to talk with someone to help me. Etsy sent the phone number, I called the number which then redirected me to online support. The online support I was already speaking with could not help me and said they would pass this on, this was 4 days ago and I have still not heard anything.

I sold an item for $79, I received a total of $51 from Etsy then they are trying to charge me another $15 for a refund. I have sent a number of requests to fix this issue with still no response. I am very disappointed, it is so hard to find help when you need it. Shop owners, please beware and consumers if you like a product you see on Etsy go to their website and purchase. :)

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Sold on Etsy for quite some time before pandemic.. All I will say is once I made one mistake (according to their unfair fake policies) they not only deactivated my account but I still have not received the money from the items customers bought from me.. In my opinion it's best to start your own business and make your own rules, cut out the middle man for issues like this.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I was sent an incorrect item by a seller and for over a week the seller continues to argue with me about it. Etsy support has done nothing to help after multiple contacts over chat. I am out the money for this purchase and they will not provide me a reasonable resolution such as a no cost return. I am never using Etsy again - save yourself the money and the headache.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

This Shop sells steering wheel covers and I waited and waited and waited. Finally I decided to contact the seller AnselMaggieShop and of course he would not answer my messages. Finally I tried to track the package. Come to find out the tracking number was fake. It was my receipt number instead of a real tracking number. When I brought it to his attention he pretends as though he didn't know what I was talking about and also saying the wrong steering wheel cover name. He been lied and said that a piece of my order was lost in the mail, how in the world can you lose a piece of a steering wheel cover? Then I knew he was lying. When I caught the cellar in his lies he canceled my order so that I would not leave a review. I tried to support these little companies but this has made it really bad. I will never buy from Etsy again. Customer service really sucks.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I contacted seller about rust from the ring sold to me labeled silver. She backed hostile and threatened me. The case was closed without being resolved. The company wouldn't help and I won't be shopping here again.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I thought Etsy was a trusted place to shop. I was wrong. I got scammed by some kind of "operation" which claimed to be out of CO but wrote with bad/broken/incomprehensible English. It seems I did not buy quality furniture at all but rather some drop ship junk that did not match what was featured in the shop photos. The shop closed immediately after I made my purchase, which was a HUGE red flag. Despite this, Etsy had no mechanism for immediate action to reverse the scam. Thank goodness for Visa, who reversed the charge immediately. Etsy would rather I had waited and finished out the scam before doing anything. I will never shop on Etsy again!

Etsy Company Information