Etsy

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Etsy is solely interested in its own bottom line, hence the mass layoffs and stock plummets of late. If you're thinking of becoming a seller on Etsy, understand that they are not helpful in any situation. All is left in the hands of the buyer and even in the case of an unfair review (as I was left 2, tried to contact the buyers to make them happy as is suggested by Etsy, but I went ignored), they side with the buyer, UNLESS the buyer is slandering the "Etsy" name. Then, all bets are off and they will go to the end of the earth to clear their own name, not yours. Fees are high. SEO knowledge is a must as this is not the simple platform of years ago. They will also shut your store with no warning for any reason they deem fit. This was done to me twice as I was accused of not creating my own items (which are completely unique and one of a kind, not mass produced).

I had to photograph my work space, supplies and step by step creation of the product to prove that I do in fact DO exactly as I state, I hand sew them. I create my own graphic designs as well with 3 software programs. Suddenly a popular design I had in my shop started showing up in shops!! A "graphic designer" shop had stolen the exact design off my shirt and was selling it as their own so people could mass produce MY design that I created! I contacted Etsy and they literally gave me a vague answer that it was "hearsay" more or less. When I stated I was going to look into my legal rights when they would not help me, my shop was revoked and closed with no warning. So now you need to be worried about others stealing your designs. From speaking to other shop owners, I've learned there are so many massive pitfalls to this site, ones I wasn't even aware of. I wouldn't want to support an organization that is clearly biased.

Many, many of the shops are simply reselling mass produced items that are not handmade, but this is overlooked because they sell such a high volume and that benefits Etsy's bottom line. Moral of the story, apply to Amazon Handmade. They may be more expensive in fees at the moment, but they are the next massive retailer and they will overtake Etsy in the next year or so. And the exposure of Amazon is something Etsy simply can't compete with. And if Amazon isn't the place for you, find other outlets. Etsy has zero interests in its "artists" (I use that term loosely because if you look up some of the items in the baby category, you can see multiple of the literal exact same item in various shops, hence nobody was creative and made that item), only its own bottom line.

My wife started a store on Etsy selling her handmade bracelets. They shut it down after a few days. Didn’t give us a reason why. So then they shut my store down because it was same IP address. Now they will not give me my money from my sales. I shipped the products and customers received the items. So basically they stole my money. If you thinking of setting up an store on here think twice. You can wake up on day and be out of business.

I'm so disappointed with the clay dirt. It’s the nastiest dirt I ever tasted and the sad part about it, is I was looking forward to crunching on some. I can't even consider the fact of chewing it and trying to swallow it. And I can't get refunded my money back so I have lost both ways. I do love the quickness of their delivery though. I will probably order from them again, just not the clay dirt.

I am rating one star as there is no choice of less. The seller sold damaged goods. I took pictures and followed basic steps. I contacted here immediately and it's been over a week. The seller is unprofessional with great disregard. Have Not receive a Response to damaged product. Packed very carelessly. Ginkgo seed was dented with a big hole. I waited over week. Thinking that would give some time and then some. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER! BEWARE. Takes your money and expects you to be ok with unusable products.

I shut off my featured items in my shop and found I was still getting charged. I then checked my bill and found that the previously free Google Shopping clicks (before I had featured items) were now being charged per click. As my sales have dropped considerably since they let manufactured items onto the site I will be moving my shop to another site that ACTUALLY DOES sell ONLY HANDMADE ITEMS!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Do not buy anything from this site. They do not hold their sellers accountable or intervene to get you your money back. Unprofessional and purely an online selling site. No service whatsoever and you cannot reach anyone. I bought an $80 agate necklace from **... Necklace does not lie flat and is poorly designed and homemade. She will not refund the money. NEVER again using ETSY period.

This seller Generations789 tell Etsy you harassed her. When the wifi wasn't going properly and computer locks up. Might send more than normal emails. She don't refund your money and won't cancel it. She has listing that don't fit the descriptions. There might be a chip in the dishes and won't say it in her listing. She will try to suspend your account. Said you harassed her when you're not.

I ordered some items from the site. The same day I paid for the items they canceled my items and TOOK my money. They won't respond to emails and I never got my money back. DON'T SHOP WITH THEM. A RIP OFF SERVICE.

HORRIBLE transaction. Awful experience. Customer service, non-existent. First time, last time shopping with this seller. I left a gentle message with my order (Etsy Hieroglyphic Rubber Roller Stamp) about no huge boxes, or damage to the item. I added a please, and a smiley face, doing what I could because electronic communication is all we have on ETSY. Well, this seller clearly had a meltdown based on previous complaints about damaged orders, (which they didn't hesitate to mention to me). As a seller, you are selling yourself not just the item. Thin skin and selling do not go together. These are uncertain times for Americans economically speaking. So I don't care if it's 14.00 dollars OR .14 cents, there's a realistic expectation to be shown appreciation as a valued, paying customer. In other words, goods and services with a smile, (not a bad attitude, and complaints about previous buyers that have nothing to do with me).

I would've asked for a full refund, but that'd prolong interaction and frustration. Lesson learned, moving on. There are other vendors to shop with. I like supporting small business owners and do so when I can. Shipping was slow which concerned me too. They used "pre-shipping". 2 business days came and went, and the tracking showed "Awaiting Item"'. For these 2 reasons I do not recommend this seller. 0 Stars. Etsy needs to support its buyers not just the sellers.

I paid $110 for DVDs from a vendor highly rated by Etsy and never received them. Etsy said that the vendor was told by the USPO that the items had been delivered. My post office ran a trace to discover what happened and that was placed in file 13! My post office showed that the package was delivered to my address. I NEVER received the package. I asked if something could be done to help me. Nothing was. "Too bad, so sad" was the attitude. Unfortunately, the vendor delivers only by postal service. The solution is simple, I will not shop again at Etsy. I cannot afford to donate to their vendor's charity, or the post office. Whatever.

It's plain, in ratio, most people only speak when they have a grievance. This leads to a society where the satisfied could have negative changes come about to satisfy the few who complained. I've used Etsy for only a year, but in that time I furnished a bedroom at one home, and most an entire house at another... from queen bed frames to coffee table and end tables, to cutting boards. And for me anyway, the system worked. Of the 40 or so transactions, I had an issue with only one, the seller didn't deliver after a bit over 3 months. The reasoning was they had their first baby. I created a dispute just to protect myself but had good faith they would deliver.

Etsy gave a deadline, they promised to it... and didn't deliver... so Etsy automatically closed the case and refunded me. That's life. Obviously as a buyer I was satisfied. I'm sure the seller feels he was treated unfairly. *Shrug*. 3 months is a risky position for the buyer to be out $800, so I'm pleased that Etsy had my back just in case it became never. But back to the good news, the sellers I met are great people with great skills. I truly hope Etsy treats both parties fairly. It's a fantastic system and I'm loving how I can find custom crafts so easily. It opens a whole world where I can avoid run-of-the-mill industrial junk for just about anything.

I Ordered a customized, brand new, white t-shirt from Elizabeth ** shop called happybelliesanbabies from Mexico for $50. I received a USED, LIGHT PURPLE T-thief that was full of white fuzzies and REEKED OF VINEGAR. After I filed a complaint with customer service, I was told that the item I received was not 'substantially different' from what I ordered because they haven't seen it in person. Once I offered to the supervisor to ship it to them for inspection at my cost, they refused. Wow. What a company ETSY is. I will never use that site again.

Etsy claim to promote Jon Allen Metalworks in the USA. There was an item I wanted to buy. Etsy give a price in Sterling. We stated Paypal for payment. ETSY ask for credit card details when we find we can't place an order, so effectively they want money with no tie-up with what for. Tried to contact the Vendor to find this impossible. Tried for days to sort out this because the Vendor uses PayPal (they say). The whole operation is an amateur scam and should be closed down. The internet is full of criminal activity. The whole web have standard ways to buy things. Etsy don't follow the standard for some suspicious reason. What a waste of space! I use Amazon who has a one click ordering system that works - they are honest and very successful outfit. Etsy are not this so "Let the Buyer beware" big time - you will get stung. I feel sorry for the vendor who just loses business being blocked from their market by Etsy.

Made a first time purchase through Etsy from the Lava Lamp Shop (Chad **). Paid 320$ for a custom lamp. It was supposed to be shipped within 14 days. I never heard a word from them. After 30 days I contacted the vendor who said parts were on backorder but product was already shipped (USPS...really?). I contacted seller repeatedly who told me it was my issue to track the package. I told him that I did not want product any longer and he agreed to refund my money when shipment was refused. 16 days later... Product arrived damaged (surprise! USPS).

I contacted seller requesting my refund. This is where Chad ** refused to respond to my emails until I opened a complaint with Etsy. Then he claimed he would not refund my money until product was returned to him. (Really??? It took 46 days to get to my door). Then he claimed he was following etsy return policy. Etsy claimed they would contact seller and get back to me in 7 days or so... Can you see where this is going? I told Chad ** what exactly I thought of him and he promptly dropped off the map. All I got out of etsy was a lot of (we are here to help) no action. Moral of the story... Stay away from etsy, the lava lamp shop and all their vendors or you will end up ripped off and pissed off also. Thanks for reading. I don't want this to happen to people who actually earn their money. Not steal it.

Please do not be fooled by this GoudsmederijHerfst seller's reviews. She took down my review as it wasn't good. No wonder she has only good reviews. My rings were smaller than ordered and stones were not right size and she would not change or refund. I sent them back and she has nerve to and me to pay for 3rd shipping cost after paying €440 for rings and she made wrong. Do yourself a favour and go to your local jeweler who will make your item as you would like. She is a gangster and don't be fooled. It's not worth the risk, trust me.

Joined up with Etsy. Placed an order for the first time in April 2017 with someone who had good feedback. Was suppose to arrive between 15 days-30 days. It's nearly June and no sign of it. Been in regular contact by email. Apart from giving me tracking number they don't want to do anything to help find it. Meanwhile I paid for the product and haven't received it. I've spent a lot of money making international toll calls trying to trace it because the seller didn't want to make a local call in their own country to try and see why it hasn't arrived. There is no record of it arriving in the country.

Disappointed in the seller not helping me track it, and in Etsy administration service who say they can't do much it's between me and the buyer. There is no protection for buyers who pay from Etsy. You can pay and order something and if it doesn't arrive no one seems accountable. Will never order anything from them ever again. I looked online at Etsy reviews to see if anyone had same experience and it's mainly bad experiences. I wish I saw those reviews before ordering from Etsy website. I'm surprised Etsy is allowed to practise their business.

After selling on Etsy for 5 years (9,600 sales and 1,500 5 star reviews) my account was deleted last December. All that blood sweat and tears GONE! Etsy don't give a ** about their sellers. The reason they gave me is complete BS. I pointed out 10 other shops using the same name in their product titles and still today those shops are all up and selling with the same apparent violation I had made. Don't expect to be treated fairly by Etsy and don't make the mistake I did by putting all your time and effort into building up Etsy. Make sure you build a site as well through Shopify or one day you'll end up with nothing. Don't trust Etsy!!! I wouldn't recommend Etsy to a single soul.

I have been selling handmade products on this site for almost 2 years now and Etsy has made thousands of dollars off the top of my sales and offered very little to no help to either myself or buyers. The platform is very restrictive in the way of listing items for sale with multiple buying options such as size, color, style, etc. This forces you to re-list the same item in different ways to allow the customer to choose extra buying options in which you as the seller are charged additional fees for each listing. There are lots of hidden costs like restocking fees, processing fees, product listing fees, etc. then they also skim 3.5% of your sales off the top but offer little to no help on the back end.

Out of the thousands of positive sales I've made I have had a few "hard to deal with buyers." (You can't please everyone 100% of the time.) I chose to refund instead of deal with some of these hard to please customers; and Etsy allowed them to leave completely false reviews saying they never received the product as if they had been scammed but in reality they were refunded in full. When I reported this to Etsy and let them know the situation they did nothing and allowed the few bogus reviews to stay on my profile. Then later despite my still overall 5 star review status they suspended my buying and selling privileges due to those same false reviews. I asked them to please look into the history of the few bad reviews I received and they will see the efforts I put forth to try to work with these customers.

They refused to even look any deeper into the matter and only based their decision solely on these few reviews. I had almost 300 active sales in process when they shut down my account and it's restricted most of my privileges like access to listings, pictures, shipping labels, etc. It makes getting these last orders out extremely difficult not to mention the panic it caused and floods of emails with my customers asking if I was still open and what happened to my online shop? I'm now having to redo my entire website from scratch on another platform which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I would strongly urge new sellers to get off of Etsy as soon as possible or not start with them to begin with. Horrible, horrible people running this company.

Etsy opened the doors to mass-produced factory merchandise in 2013 to feed their greed. The plan since this happened is to cater to Chinese Factories and Corporations while squeezing out Independent Shops. The perpetual format and platform changes (before sellers can absorb the last change, POOF, another major change) are insane. Etsy keeps forcing fewer payment options, and consolidating shipping, payment processing to be more and more controlled by Etsy. With all of the manufactured garbage they allow to be sold that are copies, fakes, and things that have never seen a human hand, true Artisans and Crafters have little chance of making a living.

For me, I went from making over $60,000.00 a year to $119.20 in one shop and $8,100.00 in my second shop. It is near impossible to get my items seen when Chinese Shops use every keyword under the sun, even though it has nothing to do with the item they are selling. Shops list thousands of products that are mass produced and cheap. They dominate the Search returns so the little shop that lists a dozen new items will never be seen.

The cheap cost of the Chinese Factory pieces has also driven away business for true hand-made Artisans. When a necklace is $2.50 and it doesn't even tell the Buyer that it is coming from China, then they see a true handmade item for $65.00, you can see how it devalues the quality and time that unique art takes to make. If you are serious about selling your art or crafts... Create your own website so you have control over it. Artisans are closing their shops and leaving in droves so much so that it's called the "Great Etsy Exodus"... Don't open a shop just to give 1/3 of your revenue to support a greedy corporation and foreign manufacturers. Don't do it.

I purchased a custom made ring in November or December of 2016. In January, the ring was received. It looked nothing like the picture and I immediately started crying because it was to be my engagement ring. I immediately contacted the seller, GloriousJewelOnline, and advised of my concerns. He proceeded to tell me that I should have said "Hello" before starting the conversation, told me I was wrong about my ring being of power quality than the picture, and told me to "Show it to my friends. They'll tell me that it's high quality". Needless to say, my fiance was so angry when he saw it he almost threw it.

We requested to return the item, the seller refused. We opened a dispute, uploaded pictures, and won. We were told that it was over and we didn't have to do anything further. I start receiving message after message from the seller, telling me to return the ring "As it's only fair". He then continues to message me to the point where I feel overwhelmed even being on that site. I message Etsy, they tell me that I don't have to talk to him again or send anything, but there is no way to block a person. So I stop going on there... And today, for some stupid reason I pulled up their website and saw a new message, dated 3.21.17. The seller had threatened me with having police show up at my home because I will not respond to him.

My first purchase on Etsy was furniture and it was damaged. The box looked like it had been around the world a couple times and the item was packed poorly. Etsy sends email for customer to give a review long before item arrived. Nothing in email says there is a time limit of 60 days from purchase to give a review which only seems to have the purpose of enabling a seller to run out the clock. Seller (I.A.Decor/SunnyBrook Furniture) gets in claim process with shipper and shipper drags feet eventually denying claim which will only run out the clock on any recourse or review. Emails to Etsy only respond with "we can't help you". Shipper denies responsibility, seller denies responsibility while Etsy is missing in action. The only purpose in a website like Etsy is to manage a fair market place. It is now clear that's not what they want. Stay away!

I have been a seller on Etsy for over 3 years with a 5 star rating. All my customers had been wonderful telling me how much they love my product, quality, etc., until this person opened a case against me over a month after receiving their item with all kinds of made up, false accusations about the item. They didn't even have to provide proof of their accusations and the Etsy representative sided with them and I had to give a full refund. The Etsy representative wouldn't even answer my questions about seller protection/shop policies which were totally bypassed and ignored. I am in shock at how horribly I was treated and how easily I was scammed. I will no longer be selling on Etsy as there is NO seller protection.

I've been selling on Etsy for nearly three years and I'm a five star shop. I had a personal conversation with someone concerning religion... nothing nasty or demeaning... the other person was rude and put my particular faith down. Etsy decided to ban me from the Forums indefinitely as if they give a ** about their members in the first place.

This site is rapidly going downhill and treating their sellers like crap with perpetual format changes, forced payment options, and unfair dispute settlements usually favoring the buyer over the seller. And, with all of the manufactured garbage they allow to be sold, true artisans and crafters have little chance of making any real money.

If you are serious about selling your art or crafts... create your own website so you have control over it. Etsy no longer cares about true artisans and crafters anymore... they make more money off of reproduced pieces of junk that are often knockoffs copied from the smaller shops. Folks are closing their shops and leaving in droves so much so that it's called the "Great Etsy Exodus"... Don't open a shop there unless you enjoy giving 1/3 of your revenue to support a messed up management system and foreign manufacturers.

I have made several purchases on Etsy, and most of them have been good ones; however, two have been sketchy. A woman selling a counterfeit product and another one giving inaccurate measurements and refusing to understand how measurements are important. She should have shown, with pictures, where she measured the purse. Sloppy salesmanship!!! Annoying shopping because of each seller has own policies and do not give refunds for immediate returns. I do not recommend Etsy. Pay the full price and buy from a place where you can return the item if you are unhappy.

Unless you open a "Case REVIEW" with ETSY before 60 days after your order, they will not let you open one if your item arrives after that, for example custom furniture that takes sometimes months to make and ship. ALSO if you use PayPal, they won't let you open a case, they tell you to go to Paypal to file your complaint. This company is NOT buyer friendly at all, it does not compare to eBay... BEWARE.

Did not receive item... The vendor would not respond so I wrote a review criticizing the vendor... I told the vendor to please resend me the item or give me my money back and I would be happy to change it to a positive review. Etsy then informed me they consider that EXTORTION!!! Etsy clearly could care less about whether customers are satisfied... Etsy should at least let their customers know that they have no recourse if you are scammed. BUYER BEWARE the Etsy does not stand behind their vendors!!!

I've been a buyer on Etsy for some time and have bought a number of nice apparel, handmade items etc. I've never had a negative experience with any seller luckily but have now had a terrible experience with Etsy. They suspended my account privileges for some reason which I don't know and so that reason can't be legit. I'm not a fraud, I've always paid and been honest. Getting this fixed is proving to be a nightmare. Their customer service is so deeply buried it's practically nonexistent. I never received any email explanation for why I was suspended and am unable to open a new account because they even blocked my freaking IP address.

My receipt on Etsy says unpaid even though my PayPal has paid it and sent me a receipt. They're hardcore and for some reason don't want to take my money which I've been giving plenty of for some time. I'm baffled. Sellers, please set up your own websites so you can sell to customers who are blocked by Etsy. Monumentally disappointed.

I purchased a Pope John XXlll medal pendant 1950s for my mother's birthday 25 days before it. When I had not received it by 20 March I open a case of non-delivery with Esty. The trader had marked it as having been dispatched on the 10 March but shows a receipt for the 21 March as proof of posting. Well, whatever happen to the medal I never received it and Esty thinks the proof of posting is proof of delivery. They don't seem to understand The Consumer Rights Act 2015 says different.

Hello, I'm shocked after 8 years of selling on Etsy to find my shops permanently suspend. Etsy didn't listen to my side of the story, I was harassed by a buyer, having the man get my email address, send me disgusting messages & pictures. He was a disgruntled buyer who ended up leaving me a bad review & why? Because I told the sick pervert not to contact me anymore, after I did so, that when it all started. I replied to this man using a few choice words, well thinking I was only defending myself, I got terminated from Etsy!

At this day & age it's ok for a man to harass a woman! Instead of Etsy helping me, they suspended me! Etsy was a problem from the very start from no customers, to opening up the marketplace for all foreign junk. A vintage site? Where is the vintage, it's all retailers. What vintage site removes the antique section? Their new categories are a joke! Who wants to buy a 20 year old toy ball?

As for buyers, if they have a problem, forget it, it's a nightmare. Their main target is someone living a perfect life, a woman who has nothing else to do but, plan a wedding, have a baby, cook, decorate & organize a house with an endless supply of money to spend. What fantasy land do they live in? The employees stink, they know nothing. They also don't know a vintage item from new, the site is such a joke. Real antique collectors & dealers are laughing. Their search system is ridiculous, who has time to look through 250 pages of junk. I hope many people file a class action lawsuit against Etsy & they go out of business.

I use different platforms to sell my items, but the big mistake was to bet on ETSY. They enable people to offer handicrafts personally by them. But this is not so. There are many sellers who do not sell their products, resell foreign goods. There is nothing worse when you correct a given platform with buyers. Although it is against their rules Etsy a blind eye because otherwise you will fail. I think it's time to change its policy and give people legally sellers of foreign goods to sell on their platform because they already do.

The problem is that this company employs super incompetent and spiteful people who do not have a human attitude towards anyone. Employees choose who to sell and who is not. Stupid employees of this company closed profiles without warning, indicating the reason - that the goods are not manufactured by vendors. At the same time there are thousands of such vendors. I hope soon this company to fail because they are despicable and devious people with unsubstantiated claims. Their policy is one, and reality another. Curse them a thousand times and I wish them the most miserable existence. Please if anyone knows where can be made a formal complaint from this company to share it! Please if anyone knows which institution can test this firm also share it. I'm ready to destroy them as they destroyed me.

Etsy Company Profile