1.84/5
Based on 166 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

750 Etsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Etsy is a great company. I have ordered from them for a little over two years. The products are usually greatly pleased with my purchase and the sellers contact with me. I only received one item and I was disappointed with and the seller contacted me immediately to see what they could do to make it right.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I LOVE Etsy. I have been on there since the 90's and I've watched them grow and improve. The SEARCH is AWesome for narrowing down what I am looking for. I Love the Cart feature. I also Love their Support- they have quickly helped me many times. As a seller, I have sold cars to trinkets with success. But I DON’T Like that I can't FILTER by Country of Origin. ie Ships from China or Korea. I would like to get the filters to get them OFF my radar. They are overwhelming the products and they are junk that I don't want piling up my search. If I'm looking for something, I probably need it now, not 12 days from China later.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Vendors are very helpful in answering questions about what I am purchasing. Service is timely. I have always found Etsy to be a good site for unusual or hard-to-find items.

Original review: May 19, 2018

The process was easy and arrived in promised time and I liked the product that I purchased. I have ordered before and would order again. Beautiful products on the Etsy sites.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I went on the site looking for jewelry. Mainly astrological celestial vintage style jewelry talisman pendants and such as that. The site is very unusual. It takes you to things you dont ask for not to mention they say how cheap they are. You try to put in codes. The site wants a code for every item you want to purchase. And then the site wont take the promo codes. The biggest lie I found on the site besides it wont take any promo put on the section by the item you want to purchase. They have Free Shipping. This was this past Wednesday the 4th of April. I tried putting in the free shipping code on every item I purchased. They separate item from item just as they have the promo code and free shipping code done separately with the item.

So at the very end you dont save one penny and the shipping is outrageous more than the items put together. eBay used to have all their items in one bill now you have to pay them separately. It's nothing but a hassle and makes you not want to shop online anymore. The items I got one pair earrings from Etsy yesterday they scabbed my ears up the first time wearing them they were suppose to have gold coatings too. And my item today on eBay was so tiny when I told the computers search that I wanted a large pendant. It is so tiny you barely see it. If those companies keep up these bad selling tactics I'll never shop there again and I'll be sure to tell my 254 million friends not. to neither.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: May 14, 2018

I ordered 10 different items from different parts of the world 1.5 months ago (1 item 3 months ago), and so far I have had to contact 6 out of 10 shops. One item I had to contact the store, because my shipment got lost, after going back and forth, I managed to get my item 2.5 months later - Issue resolved. Another Item located in the US not far from where I live, avg processing time (1-2) weeks, bought more than a month ago, was just shipped to me 3 days ago (has not arrived yet obviously), after sending going back and forth with the shop, item will need to be refunded, since it won't arrive by the time that I require it. Contacted 6 out of 10 shops to figure out what the problem was, one of them I had to basically open a case with Etsy 'cause supplier wouldn't respond, and I managed to get a refund.

So my stats are as following after 10 items exactly bought more than a month ago, only two have arrived, my recommendations are as follows: Buy your items 3 months in advance, 1 for the avg waiting time, 1 month for resolution of the problem, and another month as a safety net to actually receive the item that you requested. (No, I am not exaggerating). 1/5 stars - Would not recommend.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Etsy allows sellers to offer extended warranty and then won't honor them saying it's gone past their case system. Both the seller and Etsy raked me over and now I have to dispute with my CC company. I will never buy anything on their scammy site again!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Purchased a crystal and after 3 weeks with no notification from the seller I emailed to find out what was going on. After a week with no reply, I filed a dispute and THEN I heard from the seller. Too late, I wanted my money back. Thankfully I paid with PayPal and after PayPal was unsuccessful in contacting this seller I was refunded my money. The seller and Etsy are now claiming it was delivered which it has not been delivered. Will NEVER do business with Etsy again. They are responsible for whom they let sell on their site and this person is a joke.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a Wordpress theme from 17thavenuedesigns and when I downloaded it it was the wrong theme. I contacted her thinking it would be an easy fix but she told me I was out of luck and in order to get the theme I wanted I would have to pay again! I emailed her back and it's been a week now with no response. Beware of 17thavenuedesigns on Etsy! Scammer!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I had a shop on ETSY for several years for my hand made art work. I limited Etsy's advertising charges to less than $10.00 per month. My average cost was approximately 7 cents billed to my credit card. I never sold anything from the store. In February Etsy billed me $15.79. I emailed Etsy about the charge and never received a reply. I disputed the charge with my bank. In March Etsy billed me $13.51, still no invoice, no answer to emails. Etsy does not answer their phone, nor do they acknowledge emails. I disputed the charge again. In April, they billed my card for $17.96, No email response, disputed the charge. In May they billed my card $19.24. Emailing again, will dispute again.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I bought a very expensive leather jacket on etsy.com and after months of contacting them about my jacket with no contact never received my item. So I requested a refund. And etsy.com assured me the matter would be resolved. Well etsy.com closed my case with no resolution or refund or explanation... Etsy.com aided and abetted the seller to rip me off of $675.00. Etsy.com helped with a fraud and I'm going to sue them.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Etsy seems to play favorites. I opened my shop on October 10, 2011. I have had 16 sales no problem. There are many shops on Etsy that sell similar products as mine with the same ingredients and it is not fair that recently I seem to be being targeted and my products are being taken down as unacceptable?? Also I am being denied a wholesale account but others who use the same exact ingredients in their soaps are allowed to sell and I am not. Is this discrimination or favoritism????

Original review: April 24, 2018

So disappointed, thought I found another place to shop but eBay and Amazon have no competition here. Cheap junk sold and ETSY does not honor their promise to refund if not "as described". Won't be back.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My item was not as described and Etsy doesn't bother to help us solve the problem. It give the seller the freedom to close the case, of course they'd close the case if there's no consequences. Seller even remove the item page after scamming my money. Don't trust buying items in Etsy, full of scammers and Etsy won't help you get your money back. Might as well buy from AliExpress.

Original review: April 15, 2018

SUSPENDED MY SELLERS ACCOUNT ON THE VERY FIRST DAY!!! A Knife Maker btw! They suspended my account for two reason: I didn’t mention the names of the people who helped me with making the knives (knife maker individual). My items do not qualify to sell on Etsy! (There are hundreds of other sellers selling similar knives. How come my knives don’t qualify?)

At least give me a warning before suspending my account! That is definitely not a good business strategy!!! I reached out to their team but they didn’t care to listen! All my items are legit and I have a registered business but they didn’t care to listen!!! If you are serious about your business DON'T SELL HERE!! Go to Amazon or eBay!!! Because is Etsy is not the place! I have read at other threads too that they suspended. You're running business without a warning! This is absolutely ridiculous!!! I would be shattered if I’m selling good amount of items on Etsy and the next day I wake up to my account permanently suspended! NO THANKS. I WILL STICK TO EBAY AND AMAZON!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

For a while I made some nice purchases on Etsy from some great sellers. Recently, however, I dealt with Powder Blue Bijoux. They have lovely things, and the item I received was pretty, but flawed. I received a response from the owner to return it for my money back (but would lose $40 shipping - almost half the cost if the item to end up with nothing. I decided to have a seamstress fix it and keep it). She was very snippy and basically let me know there wasn't anything wrong with it. (There was. I have photos).

I gave a very fair review of 3/5, and sent her a private message that her service was lacking, and she needs to not be so offended when a customer has an issue. She posted a reply that I verbally attacked her! I have been trying and trying to contact Etsy to have this post removed, as it is simply not how it went down, but the link they provide for a phone call takes you to a "not found" notice, and their online "help" consists of clicking around and around, only to be sent to forums and "helpful Q and A"s. Their phone number "does not accept incoming calls". Very frustrating. Bottom line: if your purchase goes well, you will be happy. If something goes wrong, they don't want to know, and no recourse. So, just be aware of that.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Midwest Glass With Class sold me a pair of vintage salt and pepper shakers and veiled damage in the photos. When I left a review, the seller said she got it removed. It was a 5 Star review with a picture that showed the damage. I am wondering how she got it removed when it is not even in Etsy’s policies to remove reviews. She offered to accept a return, but really, all I wanted was honesty. That ain’t what I got! Shady.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I tried to open an account on Etsy and I kept getting an error message, they refused to allow me to open up a shop because I refuse to sell outside of Canada, and refuse to set a fixed shipping price. Well how do they expect me to list a shipping price if I don't know what it's going to be until I know where it is going. Second of all why do I need to sell outside Canada and being forced to add a partner when I do all the work myself. I listed my items on eBay in less than 5 mins and had no problems doing so.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I got ripped off from this website because my package was lost/stolen and refuse to give me a refund. I spent a lot of money on my order and it's not fair! I hate wasting the money I work so hard for. The only way they will consider a refund or replacement is if you purchase insurance. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm better off buying from Amazon, Ebay, etc... but not Etsy! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE! PLEASE.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had two stores and they closed my two stores without notice and today is my second day of sending email with the question "Why?" and I have no answer. I lost my job without warning and without knowing why?

Original review: April 1, 2018

I ordered a ring from Etsy for 30+. I found the same ring on Aliexpress and Ebay for 3 dollars. So I ordered on from Aliexpress and compared the two. They were exactly the same in terms of quality etc. I contacted the Etsy support and they did not do anything about it. Save yourself and others money, before you purchase anything from Etsy and search on Aliexpress and Ebay and Amazon to see if you can find those merchandises. If you do, the chance is that you would end up paying substantially less for your goods. Tell your family and friends about this too.

Etsy allows sellers to claim items are "handmade", when in fact, majority of the merchandise sold on their platform are massively manufactured and can be found for 1/5 to 1/50 price on Aliexpress.com and Ebay.com: accessories, bags, jewelry, and the list goes on. A piece of jewelry you buy for 1.00 or 2.00 on Aliexpress or eBay can be resold on Etsy for 50+. Many of the more savvy sellers retake pictures of their items so it is harder for buyers to perform image search. Their advertising is highly misleading.

On a personal note, I am surprised that Etsy has managed to get away this far and not come under any serious scrutiny by American consumers, media, and government regulatory authorities. I believe it is only a matter of time before their false and misleading advertising will get exposed to the mass American consumers.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I just got ripped off from this store. Their Items there are fake. They will get away with everything on ETSY. Please do not shop there. You will be sorry at the end. Etsy Protects CROOKED SELLERS. Please. This is a Warning. Once you get caught in their trap they win and you lose as a buyer. Do not shop not even at this crooked shop I am mentioning here... They got away with a purchase I made and they won't refund. Beware. Etsy Protects Crooked Sellers. Not Buyers. This was the worst experience I went through with this site. I ended closing my account as well.

Original review: March 29, 2018

This company closed my account due to items not being handmade. My items were not listed as handmade. There are hundreds of items sold on their website that are not handmade. I shipped my items sold through them and all items have been received by the buyers. They claim to be holding my money for 160 days and will not give it to me. I have a right to the money I earned.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My daughter's shop was closed suddenly 4 days ago and with NO warning and with NO explanation provided - just a closure based on "multiple violations" that were unspecified and unexplained. Etsy will shut down a business with no warning, no prior notice, and they will not communicate with you beforehand or afterward regarding their problem with your shop. In some cases, they may have had a past complaint about specific items on your page, and they had one complaint with my daughter over a tea cup on her page back in 2017. She immediately REMOVED the cup from her page, although other sellers on Etsy were selling the exact same cup and similar cups to the one she was trying to sell. Etsy took the suspension off her account.

On this occasion, Etsy just permanently shut her account down without making any explanation whatsoever, and upon investigation, we found that Etsy reserves the right to shut your shop down with no notice and no reason in their terms and conditions. My daughter is guessing that the reason her shop was permanently closed was because she put some party supplies on her page. However, she reviewed other shops beforehand and obtained similar party supplies from the same supplier whose merchandise other sellers on Etsy are currently selling from. In fact, we found thousands of the same type of party supplies on Etsy that appear to be the same merchandise. But the bottom line is, my daughter woke up one day and she was just suddenly put out of business with no warning and no notice.

It's a very unfair and heinous way for this company to treat its sellers and it is inexcusable. Etsy could easily set out a written policy in which Etsy communicates with the Seller and provide a set number of occasions in which it lodges complaints about a Sellers' practices before permanently shutting down a shop. In that way, the warning process will provide the Seller with an opportunity to salvage the business the Seller has built. Etsy also should be required to COMMUNICATE with the Seller so that there is an understanding of exactly what complaints Etsy has and what should be done to appease Etsy. In this instance, when my daughter contacted Etsy, she was met with rudeness, hostility and no advice whatsoever as to what the problem was. She followed up with a written email asking what she has done for Etsy to permanently close her shop down, and Etsy has failed and refuse to respond in any manner.

There needs to be government and other regulation over online companies like Etsy to protect the Sellers as well as the Buyers from this type of cruel treatment. There were Buyers communicating with my daughter about her merchandise, some of whom are friends and family, and it is humiliating to have to tell them that she has been put out of business. I know I will never again use an Etsy seller or purchase anything connected in any way with Etsy or its sellers, and I will spend the remainder of my life telling any and everyone who will listen what happened to my daughter. It is very devastating to be treated in such an inhumane way, to be humiliated publicly, and to be put out of a business you dearly loved in this manner.

No brick and mortar company would be allowed to do this to so many people - especially the number of people that Etsy has shut down - without answering to a higher authority and having a much larger complaint than one previous incident over a tea cup and a complaint about $3.00 party straws that many other people are also selling. In my opinion, it is ridiculous that Etsy is allowed to run rampant in this way and it hurts me to see a member of my family be treated this way.

Original review: March 24, 2018

The most poorly handled transaction I have ever seen and make sure you all read the fine print very clearly because their return policy if you try to even see if the item works is there is no return policy. As I found out recently!! So now I have a $50 piece that will not adhere to the wall (when other pieces do) and neither Etsy nor single stone studios will stand behind their product. I would encourage you all to look elsewhere because these are very cheaply made and the owner is every bit as cheap.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Etsy is acting absolutely ridiculous. I have recently opened a second shop on the same account with exactly the same bank info, and on the 18th of March had my first sale in this shop. At first Etsy tells me that my funds will be available on the 21st. Then two days later for some unfathomable reason it tells me it will be the 26th. I bet that there will be more changes, comes the 26th. The buyer used Etsy Direct Checkout. But even if the buyer uses Paypal, Etsy steps in and takes full control of the funds, presumably for the seller's convenience so the funds are accessible in the same place. No convenience here as the funds are held for a length of time at Etsy even if the seller has had Paypal account for a long time. Etsy is inventing more reasons to sit on your funds longer while using them interest-free, which is completely unacceptable. Will be on the lookout for the alternatives.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I ordered 2 clocks from IGBY Unique. They are so unique and beautiful. This will be my go to gift forever. I have also spoken with Sarah the owner and she was so thrilled that I enjoyed her product. She even sent a note with my purchase. THIS WAS THE BEST GIFT EVER.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I ordered dishes which according to my receipt I could return within 14 days. I refused the item, returned it, have a tracking number AND Etsy says they will not refund the money. I am working with my credit card company, but in the meantime, I think people should know that Etsy is a poorly run organization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I recently purchased a custom print from Cedar Woodworks via Etsy. It was my first experience from buying through them. When the item arrived it was of very poor quality (nothing like the pictures on the website or the mock-up the store sent me). I complained to the seller who was most unhelpful, I pointed out that the picture he used when enlarged was not adequate quality the resulting image was all pixelated and blurry (none of the details could be seen). The seller refused to accept the item back. I then contacted Etsy who are totally biased on behalf of their sellers. They refused to help.

When I went to leave a bad review to warn other purchasers I learned that because my review was not 5 stars I would not be able to upload pictures proving how bad this item was!!! I am now out of pocket with an item which I do not want and all it is good for is firewood. I had other items in my wishlist which I was looking forward to buying in the next few months but I will never buy through Etsy again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This is a devastating thing happen to me in Etsy on 14th of March, 2018 in the middle of the night. I started as a genuine craftsmen in Etsy and found success there with my portfolio and all. Thing went well when I found out there is this store, that obviously doing way much more business with drop shipping item from China. Using copy paste product image where you can easily google search by right clicking. The price is multiplied 3 fold or more. The seller been doing well and gain quite a lot of sales without getting in trouble.

And so, as a genuine craftsmen, I found this is unacceptable since the price is obviously hiked~ So I started a 2nd similar store, hoping to counter his method by drop shipping and sourcing service in a more acceptable pricing and proven quality that I provide a actual snapshot of the product. An improved version of service in that manner. And in the end, 2 months of route planning and improvement, while I have my first client, my account was permanently banned. INCLUDING my main store. Without any prior notice or chance to appeal, it's gone. With some project even going on halfway with my clients. Below is their reason:

"Per our Terms of Use, we reserve the right to terminate a member’s privileges at any time, for any reason. As we believe your account presents too high of a risk to continue to sell, my team and I have elected to revoke your account privileges permanently. Please do not open any new accounts on Etsy. They will be closed immediately and without notice."

So fine, I didn't check the rule properly since the other shop didn't get closed down. Even I get banned I accept it but, if that store still allow to continue with the same business operation, then where is the justice of this? Even my genuine handmade store is gone and unable to appeal, no reason is accepted even I have zero complaint and good customer relationship. This is Etsy, spitting their power inhumane toward anyone who doesn't live up to their rules. One mistake, everything you build up is just gone with their click of a button. I will await and see if they take any action toward that dishonest store. Until justice is done, I will keep watching.

Etsy Company Information