1.73/5

4172 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used to get the discount for following eBay rules/policies. First it was 20%. Then they dropped it to 10%, then they added 1 day processing, and now they want me to offer free returns. I was ok with 1 day processing and I normally would offer free returns as a customer service, but to add it to listing as a benefit was not in my best interest, so now since I don't get the discount anyway, I don't have to offer 1 day service. I get some relief and eBay gets worse customer service. I hope more people read this and also stop the 1 day service offer if they are not getting the discount. Maybe then eBay will figure it out. P.S. You can still offer the 1 day service if you choose to, but no need to be bound by it which can affect your performance.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I sold iPhone 7 on eBay UK for £410 on bidding, I only saw £16.23 relisting once on the app. They never say or show that every time I relist I will keep paying £16.23. It was hidden on their app. Customers can't see it and the only way for me to sell was to keep relisting hoping it was a fee of £16.23 I have to pay not knowing as the app is not showing I have to pay relisting with or without selling. eBay took £171.00 direct from my account without notification after I sold the item. I called eBay member team on the month of Oct 2018. She said I was of their cut off date, that I am not met to pay £171.00. They will refund me, also that their app is a work in progress, they working on it, it doesn't show the relisting fees as I said.

The lady advise I use laptops to upload and sell from then. When I call 3 other staffs they keep telling there nothing they can do and they will not refund me the money. 1 last lady I spoke to on the 17/10/18. She was rude. She hand the phone on me, after telling me eBay will not refund me even if their app is not working properly. Ebay oppressed me, make me feel I cannot take them to court for £171.00. Any fees with eBay be very watchful. ONCE THEY GET YOUR MONEY THEY WILL NOT REFUND, THEIR STAFF'S OPERATION IS FUNNY AND QUARKS.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Jeff claims to be a supervisor, but his English is so bad, it's hard to believe he is allowed to talk on the phone. Jeff is insulting and condescending in his attitude. We wanted to get some information in writing, because too many eBay employees are giving conflicting information. eBay staff state one condition for the terms of their sellers promotion in email before a sale, but then different terms at a higher percentage than advertised are billed after the sale. eBay's promotional sellers offer states the promotion is eligible for "Good till Cancelled" listings at a maximum sellers fee of $20 for items that sell over $200, but after the item sells (which we have reduced our BIN prices believing eBay's promotional offer in writing will be honored before selling), we get billed for the standard 10% rate. Each person we talk to at eBay, makes their own statements conflicting each other with arrogance and illogic to the terms written in the offer.

We believe eBay policy is trying to trick us a seller into reducing our prices, so eBay's cash flow increases, and hopes other sellers will not complain or give up when the billing is much more than original seller terms advertised. We believe this is the reason why Jeff, a supervisor, states there is no way to communicate with eBay in writing and therefore, there is no record for non-eBay customer/sellers to have written proof of when one eBay employee makes one statement and it conflicts with another eBay employee and the written terms of the seller's offer. We hope more sellers will read our stated experiences and organize the action required against eBay's deceit and fraud.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Ebay is now making sellers accept all returns even if it is a stupid reason. If you escalate a case you will lose. And on the other hand one more thing I have to talk about is defects. I had 2 cases closed in my favor and eBay told me neither would count as a defect, but they did and when I called to tell them about the 2 defects that were on my account that shouldn't have been there, they said they would fix it but it could take up to a month for it to reflect my account. So for the time being since I will be below standard even though I was a top rated seller for 3 years and these defects were not supposed to be on my account I'm still going to get charged that extra 4% on top of the 10% seller fees. Total bull crap!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I can no longer sell on eBay as after getting great feedback as customer said he did not need the item now he had used it, I asked eBay for help and they just made me pay for return delivery and a refund for the item even though I asked for help and the messages were clear. I then appealed the case and was told by eBay they have to refund all buyers costs if they claim a product never arrived even if they have messaged you saying it had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

BUYERS BEWARE!!! I bought 20 PSP game consoles listed as good working condition from seller in Japan and received absolute garbage so I opened a return on them. Get a message from eBay that I am to ship these back myself (no return label provided because he is not in U.S.???) But they assure me the seller is responsible for the shipping costs. Well I go to the post office and spend around an hour there and get them shipped at a cost of $180 dollars. I then send the seller the total for shipping with pictures proving this. He ignores it, so I call eBay and they say, "Sorry can't help you."

So it cost me $180 dollars and hours of my time dealing with this. Absolutely insane that they sent me the message to ship them back and telling me I am going to be reimbursed for the return shipping which turned out to be a BIG FAT LIE. Do not buy off of eBay if you are going to spend more than a few dollars because they will NOT protect you from a big seller. I WILL BE POSTING THIS EVERYWHERE I CAN THINK OF.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Recently I bought item from eBay portal. They send wrong item. In original product description, they said return delivery is paid by seller. But Seller said, it's buyer responsible. I paid return shipping. Send the item back to seller. After 15 days, got message from seller, "We didn't receive your item, so we didn't pay any refund." eBay customer service said, "It's seller decision. We didn't do anything and eBay is not responsible anything." I understand that, eBay didn't help anything if any issues come seller. My money and time wasted.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I've been a seller for 25+ years on eBay. The one thing that separated eBay from all the rest was the thrill of buying and selling. There was always that "time" element - "should I buy now", "I have to hurry up and research other sites for same or similar items for better pricing...". "Is the Buyer/Seller reputable..." plus so many other emotions, which simply made you, well it made you excited about buying and/or selling.

eBay has always strived to be #1 in the marketplace. They simply couldn't handle being overrun by someone called "Amazon". For the past 10+ years, eBay had and still is, changing their policies every few weeks to become "Amazon Lite". However, in reality, eBay has become "Amazon HEAVY". They have instituted so many rules that if you really wanted to understand them all, you would need a full-time lawyer sitting beside you.

Their latest policy to become more like Amazon, was instituting the 14-day rule of pricing. They won't let you create "sale discounts" on items until your item has remained untouched for 14 days. Basically they want you to keep your item listed indefinitely which creates more revenue for eBay but gives no incentive to the buyer to hurry up and make a decision. They know your item will be there in 2 hours, 24 hours even 24 days! So they have all the time in the world to go and research everyone else's items. Even if you do manage to wait it out and get a sale going, should a buyer grab your item, they can still return it within 30 days if they find another cheaper somewhere else. eBay's stance is simply, "List your item for as cheap as it can be..." In other words, "Don't even try to make money on your items because you will lose against China..."

I can go on and on, but the bottom line is this: All Marketplaces are vying for consumers to shop and buy from their "Non-Physical" store. They will do everything in their power to simply become a "Virtual Store Shelf" where a buyer can stop, buy, look, leave and perhaps come back to that shelf again later on. Although I agree that sellers should be fair in all transactions, this doesn't take away from the fact that eBay has lost all of its original design "excitement in the marketplace".

There are fewer and fewer auctions on eBay as many buyers simply cannot compete against the overseas giant, China. Since China also wedged their way into California, they have successfully tricked buyers into thinking they are buying locally, which if researched more, they would see these items are not located in the USA.

Is eBay still a good marketplace? I do tip my hat to the team for creating a safe atmosphere for people to trade goods. However, eBay will never be Amazon and they need to stop wriggling their policies towards becoming another Amazon. If eBay wants to set themselves apart and become the super giant they once were, they need to get back to their grassroots and reanalyze what made them great, the "thrill of the Sale".

So what if sellers and buyers get negative feedback. What are we, 4 years old? Why do we need to be told to go take a "Time Out"? Since when did it become eBay's policy to become "Mommy or Daddy" and tell us we did something wrong? Sellers who continue to perform badly will eventually fade out. Buyers who continue to show bad transactions will eventually be outed and eBay will kick them off. eBay! Can't you see you are spending just as much time trying to enforce the bazillion rules and regs you now have in place trying to make your marketplace a safe environment? Going back to your roots, sure, it was a lot of appeals for this and that, but it was much simpler. Trying to automate everything, even customer service isn't always the answer.

Eh - what do I know anymore. I'm old and outdated. I can only say that eBay is not what it once was and I honestly feel eBay has lost all sense in knowing who they are today. Hey eBay? There's still money to be made, but I think you would make even more by going a little backwards with your business plan. I'll still try and sell on eBay as I have nothing better to do with my time or the remainder of my life. However, for the items I just want sitting on a shelf collecting dust - I'll sell on Amazon as I have a better chance of being seen. Good luck to all those who continue to try and become "rich" using eBay. Wake up! They designed it so that you simply cannot make money anymore...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I recently had a buyer who decided she didn't want the bag she bid on and refused to pay. eBay would not allow me to resist the item for 30 days!!! Because SHE didn't want to pay me? I went through all the appropriate steps through eBay but yet I was penalized. When able, I resisted my item, sold it, and shipped the bag to new buyer the same day payment was made. She will receive her new bag within 2 days. I learned that eBay requested a 21 day hold on my funds through PayPal!!! How dare they decided to withhold my money!! The buyer is receiving her item sooner than she expected and I even paid more for postage to expedite delivery for her.

I phoned eBay and got no help whatsoever. This person kept reading from a script about policies. After I hung up, they phoned me back and kept on about the policies. I couldn't believe it. I am done with eBay and refuse to sell or buy on this website ever again. I have shared my experience with friends and coworkers and they all feel the same way. When did eBay become such a controlling, greedy, unethical company? With no customer service!! Never again!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I ordered a PS4 power supply at eBay that was $162, it never arrived. I had to order it again because my client needed his PS4 Pro repaired, this item is very rare and expensive. I ended up spending $162 x 2 = $324, the client paid me $300 dollars for the job. I charged him $140 for labor and $160 for the part. So thanks to eBay, I spent lots of time at the post office trying to find out where the item was delivered and got no answer. So basically I ended up paying out of my pocket to fix someone else’s PS4. In what world is this fair? I'd like to know. I am just really mad, eBay to file a report with the police station and that they would refund the money and that I had 10 days to file, 2 days later, eBay emails me and says the case has been closed and that I will get no refund.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I used to be a loyal eBay seller. Sold many things in the past, and I'd get "reduced fees" offers. Sadly eBay has seriously gone downhill since 2016. First: One person did not understood the "as is" aspect of an item so they asked for a refund. Eventually eBay stepped in and did NOTHING to protect me so the refund was given and the item returned. Second: eBay has this Global Shipping Program so whoever wants to buy/bid your item can get it outside of the US, with them paying for additional shipping. The seller just does the domestic handling. NEAT. WRONG! A collector's item I was selling sold to a user from Canada. Weeks later that same user sends me a dispute with pictures that shows the collector's item DESTROYED! Yes, OPENED AND DAMAGED!

Opening an item, I understand, BUT DAMAGING IN THE LONG RUN?? IS EBAY EVEN A CORPORATION?!?! NEVER AGAIN. I still have NO IDEA how it's gonna play out, especially since I would need to pay for return shipping. GREAT now I'll end up paying more for a damaged product worth cents. Thanks, eBay! Having my return policy as "no refunds" never helps, btw. It never does. Buyers always wins, even the sketchy ones. Moral of the story: NEVER USE THE EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM!! They will break your item. Just ship it yourself straight to Canada or the UK, with insurance just in case. What a joke.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

eBay has made changes to its listing app that is designed to make money for eBay and is unethical. When a seller lists an auction item the apps defaults to be relisted automatically 8 times and Buy It Now items automatically defaults to good until canceled. When attempting to revise these listing using a desktop auction items can be changed but Buy It Now cannot be changed. The seller only option is end the list the listing and relist them using a computer and manual change the duration.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

So I had used eBay on and off for years with little problems then all of the sudden their lousy security let a thief get into my account, steal my info and buy about $4,500.00 dollars in gold and a $350.00 dollar pair of shoes. Well things happen in this day and age so cancelled bank card and money was put back in account but changing bank info was a pain but things happen. Two and a half months later, eBay let it happen AGAIN! One more time AGAIN!!! Stay away from these slobs, their security is nonexistent and they put you in jeopardy with their bush league security.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have been buying and selling on Ebay for years. I have given Ebay so many chances over the past few years to shape up. Ebay continues to worsen. I spend more time on the phone with Ebay than it is even worth selling anymore. They do not seem to get that time is money. Their "rules and guidelines" are at their discretion...they change them whenever they cannot handle a situation. Unfortunately, I am going to have to start finding another place to do my business for buying and selling. I have given Ebay enough chances and it is just clear they could care less about customer service. You cannot even get a supervisor on the phone...they say none are available. What a joke.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

If you're looking to sell rather than buy on eBay, expect to be treated unfairly. eBay is clearly more concerned about courting buyers than sellers and their policies reflect that preference. I've sold on eBay here and there for 20 years now, and I have been alarmed at how their bias against sellers appears to be getting worse. When I first started, eBay would do things like not actually post your 5-day auction item live until 2-3 days after the start time that you paid for. They appear to have cleaned up issues like that. Now, however, they are denying fairness between sellers and buyers, which can costs sellers a lot of time and money. Here are a just a few glaring examples among many of eBay's current hostility toward sellers.

Buyers can leave negative feedback about sellers, but sellers cannot leave negative feedback about buyers. This is absolutely ridiculous and unfair. Sellers are literally forced to pay for return shipping as long as the buyer tells eBay that the item did not match the description. eBay does not even consider the validity of the buyer's reason -- the buyer can outright lie and eBay will automatically force the seller to pay for the return shipping (and then refund the item's sold amount). This policy invites abuse, and abuse happens frequently. eBay advertises that sellers can in fact dispute the buyer's reason, but that can only be done after the seller pays for the shipping and initiates an onerous dispute process and eBay absolutely will remain biased toward the buyer in such disputes, denying the dispute for even the smallest, most inconsequential -- or unprovable -- reason from a buyer.

For example, a seller grades a book VERY GOOD (two grade less than NEW/VERY FINE) but must pay for return shipping and a full refund because the buyer isn't happy about a tiny ink dot just below the text on page 223 that the seller didn't mention. The buyer can also use whatever shipping service they'd like to return it, regardless of the service the seller used to send it. So if the seller sent a paperback back that cost $2.75 to ship to the buyer using USPS Media Mail, then the buyer could very well use USPS Priority at $7 to return it. And the seller must pay for that.

Another stunning eBay bias against sellers also relates to returns. If an international buyer requests an item-does-not-match-description return on an item purchased using eBay's Global Shipping Program, then the seller must not only pay for the domestic shipping on the return but also for the international leg of the shipping on the return. Why is that remarkable? Because buyers originally pay sellers only for the domestic leg. Their purchase of the international portion of shipping is a completely different transaction paid directly to eBay.

In other words, sellers never receive any of the original funding for the international shipping. Yet sellers will have to pay that cost on a return and eBay gets to keep what the buyer paid eBay directly. Here's a concrete look at how badly that can play out for a seller. I once had to process an international return on a large box of dozens of books. The buyer claimed that the interiors of some of the books had some minor condition issues that I did not mention or show in the listing -- even though those minor condition issues still left the books entirely within the lower-grade I had given the collection.

The buyer paid me a total of $80 and paid eBay an undisclosed amount for the international leg of the shipping. For the return I was on the hook for $150: a refund of the original $80 plus another $70 for the complete international shipping service on the return. And here's insult to injury: eBay denies sellers the eBay Global Shipping Program discount on international returns! If the buyer could have used the eBay GSP on the return, I would have saved $10-$25 dollars.

Lastly, eBay forces sellers to be responsible for the shipping services provided by carriers like USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc. If the carrier you select takes two months to deliver the package or if the carrier damages the item during delivery, the seller is responsible and will have to pay return shipping and/or provide full refunds. I once asked an eBay supervisor about this policy and he said, "Well, you chose that carrier." As if a seller's choice in major U.S. shipping carriers makes any discernible difference! As if one or two of them are perfect, yet the seller "chose" a worse competitor who sometimes makes mistakes. They all mistakes sometimes, yet eBay will hold sellers responsible for those mistakes and force sellers to endure the inconvenience of filing claims with mail carries (a totally separate nightmare). But this all makes sense, right? After all, eBay wouldn't want to inconvenience the buyer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I returned a tablecloth. I have the receipt from FedEx that shows the tracking number and delivery date. Ebay opened a claim, and 3 days later, dropped it, like it never existed. I received no notice of this dropped claim. It was only after I called them that I was notified to "work with the seller". The seller will not respond to my messages.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Placed an order of a phone from a seller in China on Sept 28th, then for personal issue, I had to cancel the order so I immediately do that 3 hours later after the order has been placed on the same day. It was actually sending the seller a request to cancel the order, not that actually you get to cancel the order by yourself. So I received no respond from the seller for 2 days, it was weekends so it made sense. Then the next thing I know, they sent me an email saying the order has been shipped (Sept 30th) and my request for cancelling the order still stayed un-replied.

I immediately contact eBay staff and ask them for intervention, the first customer support staff seems really helpful and told me that he would contact the seller on my behalf and have him contacting me about my request and hope that he can still put a stop on the delivery and issue me a refund immediately. I was told to wait for 2 business days because that is the time frame that eBay allows a seller to reply to the customers. 3 days had passed and I still see no sign of communication. I sent another email to them and they said that I would have to wait for the order to arrive and then file a refund and then wait until the order got back to the seller and then wait until the seller determine that there is nothing wrong with the parcel then I can get my refund back.

I told them that I feel disrespected when the seller did not answer me at all and now I have to settle this in a way that I did not want. As a frequent online shopper, I understand that once the order is shipped, it would not be possible to cancel the order. That's why I immediately asked for a cancellation 3 hours after I placed that order and now eBay staff is not helping at all. I complained to them that they should have strict rules for the sellers since this kind of customer service is intolerable and all they did and ever did was reciting their "Refund Policy" and "Money Back Guarantee" and "Returning Policy" to me in every of their email.

Meanwhile, they took no action against the seller's bad attitude and it somehow seems like they are standing on the seller's side, rather than my side. To make the matter worse, they started to "blame the victim" informally, saying that "next time if you are not sure you're going to buy an item, please don't pay for it." LOL. So the seller updated that the item has been shipped on September 30th, it WAS NOT actually shipped until Oct 4th when I actually received a tracking number but the package information was still "shipment information received" and it is actually in transit on Oct 6th. So yeah, they got one hell of a week to put a stop on the delivery and they decided to do nothing, not even the seller or the eBay staff. I guess the only one suffering is me.

Consequently, I gradually accepted their terrible customer service and the fact that I would have to wait for the parcel to arrive and then start the whole return process and maybe wait for like 3 months later to get my money back. I wrote them another email, asking if I can just refuse to take the package when it arrives and told the carrier to just return it to its home address since I would be returning it anyway, they told me that I should not do this because when I do this, they would not be able to force the seller to issue me a refund. Okay, cool. So I asked them if I would have to pay for the returning delivery fee, guess what their answer is? YES! I would have to pay for the returning delivery fee for an item that I did not even want it to be shipped to me in the beginning. Well played eBay. Well played.

So yeah, they told me that I either do that, or wait until Dec 11th to open a dispute about the item. Which is like more than 2 months later and even by then, they would not even promise me a refund. This is my first time and definitely my last time shopping on eBay. Even AliExpress is doing a better job than them at taking care of their customers.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

If you are ever confused about where to shop online from, please choose any other platform other than Ebay. I had placed an order for 'Monopoly's cheater edition' board game from a store called 'Archies Toys'. I made the payment and kept a regular track of the shipment, however the tracking was always stuck at the status 'in transit'. Almost 20 days later, I felt that the tracking ID wasn't being updated and got in touch with the seller. The seller then, wakes up from his deep slumber to inform me that the product has been in the Emirates post office. This was upsetting since I didn't expect my product to be in the post office since I had paid for the product to be delivered to my home.

To add to my woes, by the time I went to the Post office, my package was already gone. Turns out it had been in the post office since 10 days, neither the seller nor the post office bothered to inform me about this. I then got in touch with Ebay only to be further disappointed. They chose to close the appeal by not offering me a refund. So guess what? I don't end up getting the product or my money back. Great job Ebay! Very sad to see Ebay make a decision that sides completely with the seller without having little regard for the buyer's situation. I tried to get in touch with the seller to get the product back at least but the seller decided to take the easy way out by ignoring my mails. I guess I'll be shifting to Amazon now from now onwards.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We were over-charged eBay seller fees. We received and activated the EBAY Sellers promotion on June 1, 2018, stating "Whatever it sells for, Pay no more than $20". When we called eBay today to discuss this matter, however, our sold items are not being honored for the promotion terms. We are now on hold with the Ebay employee named "Riza" who claims she has no record of the eBay Promotion and is giving us much difficulty to find, read and honor the terms of the eBay promotion. How do we get eBay to refund us the over-charged selling fees and honor the eBay Sellers promotion? Also, please let us know if eBay will honor the eBay sellers promotion terms in future, because if not, we can de-list or increase the prices of the items and not need to worry about eBay not honoring its offers anymore. Thank you to anyone who can correct these problems eBay is causing.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I purchased an espresso machine as a gift for my daughter. It arrived early and in good shape except for a broken carafe. I emailed the seller asking for assistance and was told I could file a claim with the USPS because the item was insured for $50. I contacted eBay customer service to ask if this was their policy and for their assistance with how to file the claim. They contacted the seller asking for a refund. The seller refunded the entire cost of the item when all I was seeking was the cost of a replacement carafe. eBay would not give me contact information to talk with the seller and return their money less the cost of the carafe.

When I finally found a way to contact the seller, she had tried to find a way to talk with me and eBay again would not assist. eBay's email system is among the worst ever. I have never had a problem with a seller, only with eBay customer service. I learned from the seller that she was given no option to make a partial refund to me. eBay, you have some work to do.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SELLING ITEMS WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU IS YOU WILL BE CHARGED TO SELL ITEM (PERCENTAGE) PLUS ADDITIONAL fee when you sell it! Called customer service and they said it was in the agreement. Make sure you know what you're getting into because it is not free! Scammers!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My experience with this company is very good. I bought a few items two months ago. I had no complaints. All items were as I expected. I got them on time. I can recommend this website to other customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been a long time customer and seller on eBay and I pride myself on doing things correctly, accurately and fairly. I used to put my trust in eBay's system, especially with buying items; however as of the last couple of days, I am completely disgusted. I purchased a high priced item from a seller with good feedback. After committing to buy via PayPal, the seller messaged me and said, "...sorry, I cannot accept payment through PayPal right now." Which I interpreted as shady. I called eBay customer service to see if any other claims were reported about this seller and the customer service rep said he couldn't give that information but he would start an investigation. Come to find out the seller has done this 2 times before and NOTHING was done about it. This is why and how scammers get away with things- because companies do not do their jobs efficiently enough.

So, the eBay rep annoyed that I asked him why the seller wasn't already suspended, kept trying to transfer me to PayPal (because I was already charged) and guess what??? PAYPAL WAS CLOSED AND I GOT NOWHERE. eBay customer service has always been TERRIBLE. It's a wonder they have been in business so long. With FB Marketplace and offer up with NO COMMISSION charges, I know where I'll be focusing my attention on from now on!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered an electronic item ($100) from a company in Hong Kong which advertised a 97.7% rating. They sent the product USPS (worst choice) and USPS sent it to customs which, after 30 days, hadn't released it. I demanded a full refund and the seller response? "Dear buyer, ok, we are willing to give you a full refund, could you please do a favor to us to change the negative feedback to a 5 star positive one?" Now that's extortion and not only illegal but it's specifically against eBay's policies. I complained to eBay who contacted seller to refund within five days. A week later I had to call eBay and demand a refund which they finally authorized saying it would take three to five days to process. By then it will have been a month and a half. What's especially angering is that the only penalty to the seller is a negative review and eBay does nothing. And most buyers would give a 5-star review just to get their refund or resolve an issue.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

eBay sent me an approval to return a product that was mis-advertised. The original email stated I had until 8/10, but they sent me a new email stating I had until 8/12 to return the product. On the morning of 8/10 they closed the case. I called eBay and he said he saw the email and I could go ahead and return the product. I dropped the product at post office on the 8/11. I waited patiently for my refund and nothing...I called eBay back again and the guy said it was refunded to my card. I checked my statement when it closed and nothing.

I call back a couple of days later and they tell me there's nothing they can do after waiting for close to 20 minutes for an answer. So now I am having to go through PayPal to get my refund. This is pure aggravation. I am not happy that I was told I could still return my product and that eBay would issue the refund once the seller received this product. This was not the case. On top of that when I called back the guy said my refund was issued. Not the case either!!! Be careful with the emails eBay sends--you never know which one to believe!!! Can't believe the people on the phone for sure!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Taking a percentage of shipping fees by eBay just shouldn't happen, but they do. I sold an item for $6.50 but it was delicate so cost $8.15 to ship. eBay charged me 10% of the total which is $14.65. That means $1.46, most of which is shipping fee. Now I get reimbursed for the $8.15, but I still have to pay it. This is NOT PROFIT. I pay the shipping fee and then I pay eBay because I shipped it. WTF?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently purchased a leather jacket from a seller overseas. The jacket came in and was definitely not leather. The seller argued repeatedly until I opened a dispute. The seller refused to send a return shipping label. In one correspondence stated that they'd received complaints from previous customers that their returns never arrived, then they send $20 along with an invalid address to return the item. eBay's stance was to literally let me cancel my account (thru which I spend around $30,000 a year) rather than help me and ensure that future customers don't get scammed. I just want as many people as I can possibly reach to know exactly how bad eBay support is and that they do not care, help or even pretend to support buyers against fraudulent listings and sellers. As soon as each of my pending transactions are completed I will no longer be using eBay, which is sad for all of the good and reputable sellers out there.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

They charge way too much to sell a cheap item on their site. For instance, I sold two items on eBay, both in the same week, both made me about $34 bucks. That was the only thing I sold the entire month, two items! Then I receive a bill from eBay for $12 bucks! So I basically gave away one of those items. eBay is a waste! Total Ripoff! Then I sell a large item the next month, eBay puts a hold on the payment from the buyer. Wait time over a week for the payment because eBay says it’s a “unusual transaction” on my account.

Well, it wasn’t, I had just purchased and sold items like this a few months prior. So basically if you don’t buy or sell large items costing over $250 every couple of months... (who does that?) they gonna hold the payment sent to you for the item you sold. They suck! Use marketplace and have the buyer pay shipping or either half shipping. Much easier and PayPal is easy to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Selling on eBay is a nightmare. I did it a dozen times or so, and will never do it again. Not the way to make money, never worth the time and headaches, and very difficult website to navigate. Bad links take you to the wrong place, for starters. I clicked on "learn more about the buyer" and it took me to something about the product I sold and others like it. The app is way worse. When a buyer wasted my time and canceled on me after a whole string of messages back and forth, I tried to leave negative feedback, but the eBay app took me straight to the positive feedback option without giving me any choice or telling me where I was as I typed my comment. So now negative comments count as positive reviews and artificially inflate a bad buyer's feedback percentages.

The app is by far more cumbersome than the regular website. Many important features can't be reached, and I had to abandon the idea of handling business from my phone while out of the house. But even from the website, it won't let you fix the shipping and handling costs as needed to avoid losing money. All I can do is select a shipping type. I have to send a separate invoice after the fact to cover the cost of boxing it up, and God forbid a buyer should ask for a different shipping method... no adjusting the numbers for that until it's all over, and by then buyers change their mind when they find out what things cost. I wind up making multiple trips to the post office to get answers for prospective buyers. And to make things worse, when you do sell something, eBay won't reveal the buyer's address until after he pays. So I can't even save time by creating my own shipping label to be ready to ship for when he does pay.

eBay has decided it will tell me exactly what I can do and when. And during a recent period they put holds on the money I actually did make, after all the headaches and fees, but didn't warn me they would do that. All their website said was "Start making money today," but "today" turned out to be weeks after something sold. They stopped putting holds on my sales now, and the customer service rep I spoke to about that was very nice and very helpful (actually, I think her voice was quivering. She sounded like she had had people yelling at her all day long and was expecting me to blow up at her at any moment), but with Amazon and all the other places out there, I can't think of any reason why I'd want to continue to put myself through this.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Deal was good but not too good to be true. This has happened to me twice. Item was selling for $40,000.00 + and I have to agree to a binding contract to purchase if I win. The item time ends and poof, gone. I called and they told me it was a hacker. For what purpose? And why didn't eBay follow up and let me know exactly what happened. It took 20 minutes for them to determine this. No concessions, no attempt to preserve their integrity. My contention, ok I wasted a lot of time researching, put my tail on the line to legally bind to agree to purchase. As an reputable auctioneer eBay has a responsibility to present its auctions honestly. But they are not reputable and are in fact illegitimate. Untrustworthy!

eBay Company Information