1.70/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4209 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I've just sold an item on eBay. I shipped it the same day I received notification that the item was bought. Then I received a notification that the proceeds of the sale will not be available to me for 21 days. At first I thought I'd neglected to update a credit card or something, but I called Customer Service and discovered that a new eBay policy requires such a blockage of funds for any customer who has not sold 25 items. They say I've sold only 6. Well, I've been an eBay customer since 2003, and have mainly been a buyer. I have never received any negative feedback. Withholding funds from a loyal customer is not just a bad business practice, it's unethical.

Here's some news, eBay. First, placing obstructions in the path of customers is not conducive to building your business. Second, you do not have a monopoly; customers have options. Third, you should pay interest on the withheld funds. Fourth, take a look at your aggregate customer experience ratings; less than two out of five stars! This one drove it even lower.

I hope you get more ratings and reviews with this kind of negative review. You're going to get nineteen more from me as I crawl up to 25 items sold. Oh!, and those items will be worth $1, and you can hold my payments for ten years if you like. Meanwhile I'll find another way to turn my valuable items into cash. Immediate cash that is. Ha!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

eBay is the worst ever. If I could give it no stars I would. I sold an expensive wedding dress and the buyer never paid me for it. Every customer service representative told me something different. They wouldn’t even let me talk to a manager to complain. I will not be doing any business with them ever.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I placed a bid on an item intended to be gift for my Dad's SUV. Upon realizing I selected wrong size, I appropriately messaged the seller who 'cancelled the order' & replied with a confirmation message. It has been two weeks and the $70+ item still remains in my cart. I've messaged the seller 3 times and called eBay customer service 5 times and told something different with every call. One representative moved item to 'HIDDEN' under my unpaid tab and told me resolved. One rep told me she needed authorization from the seller, despite a clear message history authorizing. Finally, I called to CLOSE EBAY ACCOUNT and was told I couldn't because I have an unpaid item in cart!!! Either I am being scammed by eBay or or by eBay's seller but either way, eBay is RESPONSIBLE for transactions made on their site. Disappointed would be an understatement. I guess I'll have to cancel PayPal account to close account with eBay.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

This was advertised for LG G5. It would not work at all. I could not have a refund. Don't believe the eBay policy. There are requirements I couldn't perform. I do not have a computer printer. The post office could not print the return label from my phone. I was unable to go to library like I was told to do from eBay. The requirement was to be able to have the return label printed from my email. Because I couldn't get it printed I couldn't get a refund. The damn thing is still my drawer. A sad reminder of how untrustworthy eBay money back guarantees are. I even begged eBay and the seller to mail me through the regular mailman mail so I could receive it the regular way. Both refused. I'm still angry about this. This was the second item I was stiffed on. Beware. It's not written in their policy, but if you don't have a printer you will not be getting a refund if your product is bad.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have used eBay for over 10 years. Very occasionally you have to give negative feedback to honestly reflect an experience. I had to do this recently after purchasing a "fake" mobile phone battery. I did not want to go through the rigmarole and cost of sending the item back, and gave the negative feedback to reflect my interaction with the seller and to warn others. I started to get emails from the seller saying that I shouldn't have given negative feedback. I reported the situation to "Customer Services" (actually they should be called the sellers protection mob) who initially told me they would report the inappropriate behaviour of the seller and block any more emails being sent to me. Next day, another email from the seller, this time with personal insults.

Contacted CS again. Yes seller had been reported but no... emails "could not be stopped" as it is their "right" to contact the buyer. I pointed out that the contact was now nothing to do with the transaction or even the feedback. It was just harassment and insults. EBAY WERE/ARE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT ME RECEIVING SUCH MESSAGES AS A RESULT OF GIVING HONEST FEEDBACK!! So it OK for a seller to sell fake products and to harass you when you give negative feedback. Great eh. eBay are operating a sellers protection racket!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

It's been a nightmare. We bought an Xbox One S which cost us over 200.00 and the product read as delivered through FedEx, but we never saw FedEx or the package. We are the buyers, and we paid over 200.00 for an Xbox One S system. This product was delivered to the wrong address which is a neighbor's address. FedEx admitted that they made a mistake and delivered to the wrong address, but the neighbor that they delivered to was standoffish and basically slammed the door in their face etc.

FedEx admits that these neighbors must have stolen the product etc. However, even though eBay claims that they will return the money if the product is NOT delivered this is not true in our case. We have tried relentlessly to get either our Xbox One S or our money back, and to this day which about two weeks later eBay refuses to help, and we have neither the product or our money. I can NOT trust FedEx or eBay at this point. This is a warning to all possible buyers. YOU MAY NEVER RECEIVE YOUR PRODUCT AND YOU MIGHT NOT EVER GET YOUR MONEY BACK. Welcome to eBay!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

eBay canceled our stores after selling with them for over a year. They told us they were canceling and would cancel all store subscriptions and fees. After three months they continued to charge. We wasted hours of time on the phone. This company should be looked at for fraud and theft. It is virtually impossible to get your money back.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I am a top rated seller with 100% positive feedback and have been with eBay for over 12 years. I find that eBay customer service will not return calls as promised. Most recently, I disputed a charge on my seller account and was promised by 3 separate representatives that they would either refund the charge or call me if they could not. After not hearing from them, I then called again and asked to speak directly to a supervisor who had authority to make the refund. I again was promised a return call. This all has taken over 3 weeks. I also never get customer service surveys when they think they may get negative feedback. I used to get them when everything was ok. I also can not find any way to make a written complaint that must be answered by customer service. I have spent over an hour on hold...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I got an empty envelope from Amazon containing only a packing slip. Ebay refused to refund the order because tracking said it was delivered. Because the package was shipped by Amazon, I should get protection, right? NO - the seller has figured out how to escape from any customer protection. I tried to cancel my eBay account. They told me that I was owed a penny, and that I would have to wait until the refund was issued to close the account. EBAY IS A NIGHTMARE.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bid, won + paid for the bracelet - I was the only bidder. 2 days later the seller canceled the transaction - lied to me in 2 messages. First they said they had removed the item which was a lie. All I did was have to check their page, they had updated the listing. The second message they said it was their first listing + they "didn't know what they were doing" - which again was a LIE. They have 78/ by the rating. When I went to their feedback (which I wish I had done before bidding) there was a buyer from over a year ago leaving negative feedback. They also had won an item + this seller wouldn't send the item! They did the same thing. Once the seller canceled 0 could no longer leave feedback for this item = I can't warn others! And it disappears from my "my eBay" page. I was unable to get any help.

I wrote a letter to eBay. I finally got a message back from them + they are no help to me - I'm beyond upset. They care more about lying sellers than loyal paying customers. Basically told me they could do nothing. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT BUYERS!!! But if I had been a bad buyer + not paid for something (which I would never ever do) - we are 100% + we buy (or rather used to buy) every day on eBay - we would've gotten in trouble/suspended account etc., etc., etc. But bad sellers they just don't care. I'M DONE WITH EBAY - AND THEY DON'T CARE! Shame on them. They have lost a loyal customer.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

On Thursday 11/7/18 I filed a complaint against a purchase of an item (coat) on eBay. I spoke with eBay representative ID: ** in reference to the closed case **. I was also given a "File Transaction ID, which is ** but none of the systems in Paypal or eBay produces any results when this number is entered anywhere. The seller did not accept returns and declined the return. The representative told me eBay cases cannot be reopened and that I should contact Paypal. I went to Paypal which shows no open or closed cases. Paypal also states that no refund can be made.

After 1 hour on the phone with three separate representatives, including one from the Appeals department who told me files cannot be reopened (hello, what is Appeals then????). When I go to dispute the charges in Paypal, it sends me back to the eBay resolution center, which again refers me back to Paypal and so forth. After a hold with Paypal for 20 minutes yet another case was opened, waiting for the same seller's response. (When I try to dispute the transaction on the Paypal website, it says I can't dispute the case because I have an open case in eBay, but the case has long since been closed, yet it states that it is open in Paypal).

Only one Ebay representative could give me an ID and none of the other representatives would do so, citing that they are not allowed to give out personal information. Since when was an ID number personal information?? Finally, I have been given a case ID by Paypal: ** after yet another 1/2 hour wait on hold. I am of course given a systematic run-around in the hopes that I'll give up, which frankly I'm about to do. What needs to be considered when purchasing anything on eBay (if this wasn't enough) is that you are likely to spend 1 1/2 hours trying to get your money back - is it really worth your time?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have been a small seller for a few years and only as a hobby with about 3 listings per month. Recently I moved and updated my address on eBay. Today I got indefinitely suspended and it can't be appealed. I called to ask why and they stated that "we have linked this address to another eBay user who was suspended". After 40 minutes dealing with this customer service rep I realized I was getting nowhere. Needless to say we went round and round with nothing accomplished. The call ended with her stating I will never be allowed to sell on eBay and to find another venue.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I made a purchase of a LEGO set specified as new in multiple places on the first page of the first page of the ad. The eBay definition NEW includes verbiage specifying new unopened packaging. The item arrived with no packaging. When I complained, the seller (smith_phoenix of Vietnam) refused to refund my money for a return. Filed a complaint with eBay which was apparently canceled when I filed a similar one with Paypal. I would never purchase an item from an online entity unknown to me. The involvement of eBay and Paypay validates such purchases but only as they provide some level of recourse against such obvious fraud. If that matter goes unresolved, it will end my relationship with both companies. My evidence is posted at the link below: http://kriselrock.com/eBayPotterReturn.pdf

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I sold a laptop on eBay and they invoiced me for $10. (I planned to pay on my next payday) Not only did they invoice me, they automatically tried to take the funds immediately. I didn’t authorize that auto payment. So eBay charged a $15 returned payment fee. Pretty ridiculous when I originally only owed $10.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

It all started very innocently seeing a item similar to mine for sale. At the bottom of the ad sell a item similar to this. Not having to try to sell before, I thought I would check it out. I was redirected to another page to get started, help me list my product. So l thought. Told me what amount to add to price w/o asking any questions for shipping. After getting this info, lowered the price to help sell item. After 2-3 tries finally sold the item. Came time to ship, I went back to eBay. They said to buy shipping on eBay, print the label and send. I paid for shipping and printed label. Again I was not asked any questions about the size etc. I packed the item to the smallest box that would fit.

When I printed the label, they had me ship 2nd day Air. The cost was what I was told. So l shipped it. Took it to the post office. No problems. That’s when everything went south. I waited almost a week and no info was sent to me. Then the seller finally pick up the item. They contacted me telling me they had to pay extra postage which I could understand except the postage was now 4 times what l was quoted. I contacted eBay and was told to contact the Post Office where it was shipped.

After finally reaching the seller's post office, I was told it was overweight. Again I went by eBay's quote. That part made sense, the item was supposed to be 2 pounds. Actually weighed 4 pounds, again I could see that since the quote could be a little off Which might increase the price a little, then I was told the size of package was oversize. So l contacted eBay. After several calls I was told that had no control over shipping cost. I explained that I got my quote for shipping off their site. That I bought and paid for shipping on their site.

If I had known the shipping was going to be so high, I would made my price higher or made the shipping cost higher. They told me that wasn’t their problem and I had to pay this exorbitant Cost. I ended up losing money on this sale. They had lured me in by selling the exact same product. They had all the info including the weight and size. The old bait and switch. Seller beware selling on eBay. I have no problems buying on eBay. I believe they used the old bait and switch.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

When you list something for sale on eBay there is a box that is checked that says automatically list my item up to 8 times if it doesn't sell. So if your item doesn't sell they just automatically relist it and if you don't have any free listings left for that month they charge you for listing it each and every time. Which can run into some money depends how many items you have listed. When you're listing your item you can uncheck that box and one would assume you're safe from any charges but if your item doesn't sell and you go to relist it again this box is AUTOMATICALLY checked again and if you don't uncheck it again it will auto relist and again you have possible charges.

I think this is a REAL LOW LIFE way of eBay making money and I wonder how many people they are screwing over doing this. I've tried talking to eBay on a few different occasions and you get nowhere with the foreigners. They just told me no one has reported this happening before when I called and told them about it just 2 weeks ago. Do they really be needing to steal money from people?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

The worst company on the internet. Gave me an offer to sell three items, and get £5 back for each. They applied the vouchers on my account, stupidly I forgot to print screen this, which I usually do (knowing they take vouchers off your account.) So I have the vouchers in my account, they were there last night. This morning when about to buy an expensive table saw with one voucher, and something else with the other voucher, (as they came in two separate vouchers) I find eBay have removed them!

Spent half the morning on chat with them. They tried to advise me that I can still accept the offer, in other words... go sell three more items... nice that hey? Luckily for me I print screened the accepted voucher code to sell and get £5 for each item back. I sent the print screen and the representative says 'yes, I can see you have accepted the offer now.' Funny that hey! Because she couldn't before the proof arrived in her mailbox. Now I have to wait 60 days for the vouchers they took from me, to be given back. I bet I don't receive them, and will have to rage on at them to get them. I am very angry about it. So table saw now being bought from Amazon. I was going to set up a business account too to sell, that is not happening. I will buy from eBay if I have to, but never sell again. And I will try and find items elsewhere before buying from eBay.

I actually hate this company, they lie, and they do it all legally. Everything I said to them, the vouchers I had on account was the truth, but they can just say “I can't see it”. Too convenient. The amount of problems I have had with them over 15 years is ridiculous! But most of the problems of this kind in the last few years, they have gone right downhill. They make a mistake, and it is always on you, they should have honoured the vouchers. Do not trust these voucher codes and offers, print screen everything you get on your account! I say this because it will happen to everyone if they are not vigilant.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I called eBay to address an issue with a "buyer" (scammer) of an item I am selling. They said they could cancel the transaction but that it would have a negative mark against me; otherwise, I have to wait 48 hours for the transaction to cancel if the "buyer" doesn't pay for the item. What this "buyer" was trying to do was get me to do the sale transaction outside of eBay. When I brought it to their attention what was happening, they only offered the aforementioned "resolutions," as well as informing me that I could give this person a negative review as a buyer. When I asked to speak to the customer service representative's (CSR) manager, he refused to let me speak to anyone; he said he was already doing all he could to help. The CSR would not offer any other alternatives to the issue. So, it seems that scammers can get away with whatever they want on eBay, but the true & honest people on here get shafted.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

The most awful online site I've ever used, stupid outdated policies that only protect the buyer not the seller and ensure that fraudulent buyers can commit their offenses with eBay's help and blessings. Useless customer service department that you struggle to email and they seem to struggle to understand basic English. For the fees you pay to use the site a yard sale with a three year old running it would be more efficient. I can honestly say I have never HATED any other site in the way I hate eBay. Useless, pointless and aggravating.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Ebay illegally blocked me from selling on their site for life for selling items of my own, I was selling digital movie codes that I purchased with my movies and I owned. They blocked me several times, telling me I could not sell them. I asked them to prove in their guidelines that I was not able to sell my owned digital movie codes. They then blocked me for life. This has been over a year, there are now over 9000 digital movie codes on eBay. I want my block lifted as I did not do anything wrong, nor did eBay have a legal right to block me.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I am a first-time eBay seller. Sold 1st item on 9/28/2018 and received messages from Ebay rushing me to ship the item and to pay the selling fee. On my site, eBay even posts that my fund will be available on 10/19/2019 although the buyer already paid because I'm new. I didn't get the fund and called eBay on 10/20/2018. I was told that I have to wait for 21 days after the item received by the buyer.

My USPS tracking showed the item is delivered on 10/9/2018. No fund on 10/31/2018! I called eBay again. First, the rep told me eBay already released the fund to Paypal, so ask Paypal. Transferred to Paypal who told me the buyer canceled the transaction. I called eBay again. This time the rep said to me that because I didn't have the bank in Paypal, so my money being held by eBay. As soon as I set-up a bank in Paypal, my money will go there. Set-up a bank in Paypal. Still no fund! Called eBay again and was told that the buyer did cancel the payment and eBay now can't do anything because the timeline of 32 days had passed. WHAT?

I continuously called and question and was told so many different lies by eBay. If the buyer canceled the transaction, why I wasn't notified. Instead, eBay rushed me to ship the item and pay the selling fee! Second, when I called the first/second/third times, why didn't eBay tell me the truth so the issue can be resolved within the time frame they set! All I can say is that eBay had turned into a scam organization!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I wish I didn't have to rate this, I wouldn't even give them 1 star. 5 months ago, I purchased a wedding dress from tianquan_dress and till this day I have not received it. I was going to use the dress I purchased from this seller for Halloween but you know I never did. I reached out to eBay and to the seller, but I didn't receive any response. I opened a Case 3 times on this item asking for a tracking number, but no response. A few days ago, eBay closed the case. No refund and no item. The user is no longer active either. Did you know eBay's help center is completely useless? I stopped buying from eBay for a reason, and I'm never going back. SCREW YOU eBay and TIANQUAN_DRESS!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Customer service is the worst I have ever seen in my life. I have been with eBay over 20 years and have never experienced the poor customer service like I have this year. Customer service reps are not trained in how to help their buyers or sellers. Nothing is documented as they say it is, and you have to go through 10 reps to even get one that speaks fluent English. eBay has enough money to hire representatives that can speak every language in the world but they choose not to understand their customers. Boycott eBay and run to amazon... eBay will never beat Amazon's customer service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

eBay has a distinct bias against individual sellers. They accept the lies of buyers who are ripping off sellers. For example, a buyer of a wallet claimed it arrived water damaged. eBay refunded his purchase price and shipping. I asked him to return the wallet, but he never did. eBay also communicates very poorly with sellers, and they take actions without giving the seller a chance to explain what happened. I am transferring all possible selling to Amazon, which has much more clearly stated policies and communication.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

eBay lets sellers decide whether they want to accept returns or not and some sellers use that to their advantages by providing very little info of the items they sell to avoid the "not as stated" situation and refuse to accept returns. I purchased a bracelet from the seller "bella2009rebecca" and she didn't list the size or the dimension of the bracelet, and in the end, it was too big for my hand but the seller refused to accept the return even I offered to pay the shipping.

I originally thought eBay's money back guaranteed can help me return the item but I was wrong (DON'T TRUST EBAY MONEY GUARANTEED, IT'S NOT). I thought I would have been more careful if I had been warned about the "no return" and "no money guaranteed" facts so I left a feedback to warn other buyers to watch out for this seller who doesn't accept returns in matter of fact statement but eBay removed my feedback quickly. I've bought several things in eBay because I thought they had "money back guaranteed". Now I know they don't, it's just a slogan. They really don't care about their buyers.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I've been buying many things from eBay for a long time, but my recent experience with them has just been going downhill. More and more sellers from China get on eBay and most products have bad quality. eBay doesn't seem to be monitoring their product quality at all, especially for electronics. I got a power converter, which should last for a long time, it already broke within 8 months. Problem is the return period was 30 days, so they couldn't even do anything. I tried contacting the seller, of course they don't reply, they're from China. A normal converter should be able to last for years, not 8 months. eBay customer service didn't do anything about it, just transferred me to PayPal and told me to ask for their buyer dispute, but PayPal never answers the phone, 1.5 hours of being on hold already and no one ever picked up. Their wait time is longer than IRS. Anyway, I will never buy from eBay again, bad quality products and a lot of hassle.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

eBay has become too restrictive. I have been a long time customer and they suspended my account indefinitely for a reason beyond my control. The local Brooklyn post office does NOT scan packages so it appears I am always late with my shipping. Now they will not give me another chance so I have to go to another selling site like Amazon. I already told eBay I would change the handling time to 5 days and go to a different post office but they don't care and told me I am banned for life!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I listed a USED item with eBay, a helmet. I listed photos of the item, and wrote in my description it was used with a few minor blemishes. Someone purchased my item and I shipped it out as instructed. Sending tracking information to the buyer via eBay, again as instructed. 4 days after the item was delivered, the buyer sent me a message saying she wanted to return the item because it was defective. I couldn't understand what she meant because she stated you could "feel" the issue, and not see it. The photo she sent of the "damaged" area was clearly shown in my ad of the USED helmet. I escalated the issue with eBay, because I didn't feel it fair to accept the return. After much back and forth with eBay they ruled in favor of the buyer and FORCED me to accept her return. Now, after accepting my fate, I expected to receive tracking information from the buyer, as eBay stated she would send. I never received said tracking information.

Today, Sunday, I receive an email notification from eBay stating they've gone ahead and debited my PayPal account the amount for the buyer paid for the item... the first correspondence received from eBay since they advised me they had ruled in favor of the buyer, 9 days earlier. I have no item... I have no tracking number. I call eBay and they've advised me that it was sent to some address I had on file with eBay... not the return address, which I admittedly did not enter (as I didn't believe it necessary when setting up my account since there is a button the seller click that says DOES NOT ACCEPT RETURNS). So no effort was made on anyone's part to verify my address, here I sit on a Sunday, while eBay tells me to call USPS to attempt to re-deliver the package to the correct address, to which I am having no luck because it's Sunday and they're closed, and of course the automated system can't understand my name.

I ask to be forwarded to an eBay supervisor, who literally gives me the same song and dance as the last guy... so I'm out $164 and have no item. To say eBay's seller customer service side is a joke is an understatement, if possible I would've given them negative stars. Don't bother selling anything used since the buyer can simply claim the item is "defective" and return it weeks later. Ebay will not take into consideration the photos or narrative exchanged between buyer and seller, nor will they ask the seller for their side of the story. The buyer can simply click a button, use your item for weeks and then return it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Hello, I've been an eBay buyer for many years!!! I really wish there was a way the customer can leave a star rating feedback on how well the item purchased was packaged. The postal service is bound to give a lil damage to boxes, etc. As for the sellers go, I run across very smart packagers & very bad ones where my item end up being damaged. I think this is a very overlooked issue & should be brought to attention when it comes to the star rating system.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

They always put funds on hold but have trouble returning those funds. Customer service reps are lost and delusional and often quote you things that are polar opposite of what you actually see on my eBay. Only Comcast has worst customer service.

eBay Company Information