3.34/5
Based on 1,858 ratings submitted in the last year

4425 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

Today I cancelled my eBay account, cancelled my Paypal account and blocked all my employees from both sites. Not only did I do that but I called my bank and CC company and blocked any future transactions from Both companies. As a Consumer and seller I spend a minimum of 14K per year on eBay & Paypal. I am now going to give Amazon all my business even if it costs a few dollars more.

From Time to time we sell used parts and market them clearly. We have sold 2 items for parts or repair, "stated as is" and the 1st time the buyer returned something that I did not sell him! eBay fully refunded him and eBay's response "that is the cost of doing business". Ok. I did not understand as that's fraud but what can you do. So this time the buyer had the item in his\her possession for 29 days, then opened a case and again eBay sided with buyer in less than 2 minutes and basically told me they do not care. So I am taking my $1400 (7 year average per year) away they make per year and taking Paypal's commission away over $80 and principal.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Ordered 3 motherboard kits with CPU and RAM, opened a case, tried to solve it with the seller (DNA outlet) but the seller (DNA outlet) contacted eBay and closed the case. My negative reviews were removed, “DNA outlet” still has 100% positive reviews and I lost 150 pounds because eBay favours the sellers because they pay percentage from sales maybe. There were a couple more negative reviews for DNA outlet and now they are gone.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I had a bad experience with eBay years ago and hardly ever used them. Decided to buy some things and made an account with my Gmail to watch some items. I paid for everything right away with PayPal, nothing was outstanding. Few hours later they cancelled my account for no reason. I called and they said they do it to all new accounts with activity. No one could tell me where it says they would cancel all my orders and refuse to help me unless I give them all my information and a credit card. No, I paid my fees, with PayPal. They had no reason to suspend my account and take a bunch of money from me. Glad to see their company is going down. Hope something better takes its place.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Terrible service. Got gypped out of five dollars. And talk to management and they were rude. I would suggest to anybody looking for auto parts or anything through eBay stop ordering from them. Go to your local people. Give them your hard-earned money instead of these people that don’t deserve it.

Original review: April 13, 2019

April 13, 2019. I am from Montreal Quebec Canada. I purchased a simple 10.00 US item April 1, 2019 from somewhere in Ohio. After paying for it with my credit card, I had to pay an extra 15.00 US for shipping this 8 ounce item. It is now 13 days since the purchase. eBay cannot compete with Amazon. Amazon can deliver in max 2 days and free shipping with Prime. Well I learned my lesson. Goodbye eBay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: April 12, 2019

I am a new user to eBay, trying to sell a few of my father's belongings as he passed away last August. Since I'm new, I am not familiar with their policies. One being that having been messaged by a buyer asking to meet in person to view the product that they would be buying is apparently a huge violation of policy. This was something initiated by the buyer and I went along with it until eBay notified me of it being against their policy a week later. After that, I cut contact the with guy and told him he'd have to pay through eBay. He didn't end up buying it so I sold the item to someone else through eBay.

Turns out, one warning a week after the initial contact is enough for eBay to bill me $300 for a sale that never happened. I called them three times about it and the only reason they gave is because of the couple of messages that the buyer sent me and me replying to him. The buyer has no consequences but I do for something that never happened? Even though the buyer was the one that wanted it to happen? By the way, all of this happened after my account was suspended for being new and eBay wanting to make sure I was a real person. I had multiple people who already bid on the item in question and when my account was suspended, the item got taken down.

If they hadn't suspended my account, the messages would never have happened and I would've been able to sell it to whoever bought it through the auction. eBay DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE SELLER. They only want your money and to keep buyers happy with the "customer is always right" crap. If you are a small-time seller, please, do not use eBay. They will screw you out of money and will find any reason to charge you more than what they deserve. I paid my fees that were legitimately through eBay and that actually happened. But a couple of messages from a buyer is all it takes for them to charge you for whatever price they feel like. Use other sites, such as their competitors like Amazon, Craigslist, or Reverb. DON'T USE EBAY!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had a very positive experience with eBay until lately. Somehow my "secure" account password is being changed and I am not doing it. I checked in another way and changed my account password today and again it was changed. In theory this should not happen after I changed the password within seconds unless there is something else to it. My theory on the 'it' is this: I have had trouble with a disreputable 'religious' group hq'd in Salt Lake City, Utah for almost 30 years. And I believe this company is owned by them. Disreputable people in many of my dealings with them outside of eBay, now maybe even eBay is affected.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I ordered the above touch-up hair color product more than two months ago and never received it. According to eBay (and the seller's information) it was delivered - but it never was delivered to me. Based on eBay's policy, if a product is not delivered or was lost, either a replacement or a refund is due. According to eBay customer support (after the seller stopped responding because he said that the tracking number showed it had been delivered), their investigation - which took all of 10 minutes - showed that this product was not eligible for a refund and the case was closed, period. In order to reopen the case, I would need to send them a Police Report (seriously) or some other information that is impossible to procure.

It may only be $10 dollars but it's a terrible way to treat a customer. I will NOT be using eBay ever again... Imagine if I ordered something worth $100 or even $1,000 (which is not uncommon) and the same situation occurred. Amazon Prime: You have your issues, but at least I can return stuff with no problem or get a refund for deliveries that never make it. Shame on you, eBay! Sincerely, Former Customer Elzbieta.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've been selling with eBay for a while but the past few transactions have just been completely unfair. Someone bought a brand new Waterpik from me and left me a good review. Three weeks later they decide they didn't want it because they "couldn't figure out how to use it." I kindly said it's been too long and they've USED the item in their mouth so I can't accept a return. Well of course they opened a case and eBay ruled in their favor. Now I have a nasty used and damaged item. This isn't the first time I've dealt with an awful buyer that just wants something for free and ends up returning the item damaged when they don't get what they want. eBay does not care about their sellers, especially small sellers. I am DONE using them for buying and selling.

Original review: April 10, 2019

It's not bad enough eBay is overrun with counterfeits, fakes, pirated media, and fraudulent sellers as well as deadbeat buyers... It's not bad enough that with changes to the seller feedback policy over the last 10 years sellers can no longer even leave a negative feedback for outright deadbeat buyers but have to endure negative feedback for buyers who get second thoughts but want a refund and to keep the merchandise... It's not bad enough eBay has decided if you aren't a business and are a private party like me selling less than 25 items every six months they can interfere with your sale and withhold the money until you have shipped the item to the buyer - in direct contravention to the first rule of a sale... It's not bad enough they force you to accept their shipping rate estimates which are often wrong and force you to make up a difference out of pocket... No.

Now they feel they have the right to charge a final value fee on the shipping costs too - as if they were a profit you are making. This is an illegal and underhanded practice akin to trying to add extra tax to shipping which is prohibited by the FTC and has been for decades. This is not listed on their seller fees page anywhere as of this writing. Their excuse for this is the underhanded sellers who abuse shipping by selling items cheap and making up for it with handling costs which they basically told me I should do to recover these extra fees. No this is outright, unadulterated greed and misconduct and it needs to stop. I urge anyone who is an eBay seller or customer to write a letter to their state Attorney General and their congressman.

Corporate greed has gone way too far. eBay has made it impossible for respectable sellers and non-businesses to survive. Worse the response from their Office of the president is to offer free shipping - because, yeah, I will sell a $5 item that needs $15 to ship and then be at a net profit of -$10 - makes complete sense!

eBay now is a company that caters to fraud and greed and corruption. This policy of charging valuation fees on shipping is over-reaching and they need to be put in check. Rich corporations and crooked businesses get richer, the rest of us get crushed under the wheel!

Original review: April 10, 2019

They like to change delivery dates to give sellers more time to send out packages after the first initial GUARANTEED delivery date making it harder to track your package and they are not very friendly or helpful in locating or returning orders that were messed up, Received broken, etc. Buy at your own risk! They tend to side with the seller 9 times out of 10 on disputes about late or broken packages.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I sold a jewelry kiln on eBay and eBay forced me to accept the return. I received the item back completely ruined. eBay seller protection states it protects you again items that have been used and damage. eBay did reverse the division in my favor. I was told I would get a full refund for my $400 item by two different customer service reps. I only received half my money $200.

After a month of waiting and talking to service reps they now have changed their minds and said they only protect you for 50 percent of your item. I can't find anywhere stating it only protects you for 50 percent of your item. Why did it talk a month to tell me this and why tell me multiple times I would receive the rest of my money. So eBay has stolen 50 dollars in shipping 40 fee for selling. 22 dollars for PayPal fees. So I end up with 88 dollars for my 400 dollar item. I have been screwed as a buyer as well. I ordered a pair of bike shoes and received a mouse pad. I was told to ship mouse pad back I did and eBay never returned my money. So now eBay is up to $462 of my money I'll never get back. I will never use this company again and warn all my friends as well. So frustrating.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Don't sell on eBay. They will not have your back. I sold a new pair of boots in the box in perfect condition. The buyer said they were too big, even though the listing clearly stated the brand run a size larger, and when I got them back the tissue paper protecting them was gone and they were all scraped up from being shipped that way. I contacted eBay immediately. The policy is all item must be returned in original condition and packaging. They put the case on hold and said I could offer a partial refund. I did and the buyer agreed but I couldn't do it through eBay, so they told me to do it through PayPal with my balance or bank account.

After doing that and calling eBay asking them to close the case they asked for a screenshot of the transfer on PayPal for proof I gave a refund. The next day I wake up to a message that eBay closed the case and gave the buyer a full refund on top of my PayPal transfer. How does that even happen? They looked at my screenshot of the payment to this buyer and still decided to give her more money on top of it. I'm done selling on eBay.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had an awful experience with eBay selling Department. Sold an item, the shipment was extremely expensive almost 300% over the cost of the item. Got the best deal for the buyer and just charged to what she had to pay, not adding any cent to the shipping charges. eBay charged 10% on shipping fees that I paid cash three weeks before when the purchase was done. They have all the selling fees hidden on the selling docs but they are not able to tell you how much they will charge if you sell the item through them. Exactly like going to the hospital and after three weeks you get your bill. Never again. This practice is insane. 25% of the price of an item.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have been selling on eBay for a number of years and overall I have had a good experience, however I have encountered what I can only describe as a thoroughly dishonest buyer. ** purchased a brand new pair of Skechers boys shoes on the 2/3/19 and then 3 weeks later she contacted stating that the shoes were faulty, the photographs showed a pair of shoes that looked like they have been worn in a war zone and clearly her child had wrecked them. She was trying to get a partial refund but I refused as the shoes were all but destroyed, I took this up with eBay and asked them to intervene.

This morning I received an email stating they had found in the buyers favour stating "I certainly understand your frustration as you have received a return item in damaged condition. eBay never physically see the item before or after it is returned by your buyer so we cannot dispute the buyer and their reasons for return. As a result of this, we allow the return to happen as normal." So there we have it. As a seller you will always lose out, they cannot dispute the buyer but they can dispute the seller, the very person who pays eBay. I am in the process of closing my account after 16 years given this total lack of assistance and contempt shown and I would advise others to give eBay a wide berth.

Original review: April 2, 2019

eBay and PayPal stolen from me more than 30k. After I sent the item, customer charge back credit card and I lost all the merchant and the money. PayPal and eBay just did nothing. I move to Amazon and I making good money there. Stay away from that **....

Original review: April 1, 2019

I discontinued my buying with eBay because their policy sucks! I bought an item from a seller on March 22nd and the item suppose to be delivered on March 28th. It had been 4 days and I didn't receive the item. Here on April 2nd I called their customer service and she told me I had to wait another 4 days and if the merchant don't answer I can get my money back on the 5th day! That's 9 days to wait for an item YOU paid for and I will no longer shop with eBay. My shopping will be at amazon because you get your money back in a day or two!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Even when an item is described to a T, they still will let a fraudulent buyer try to send it back. I just wasted over an hour of my time getting nowhere with a customer service rep, a supervisor, and a manager named Melvin. I'm pretty sure their names are made up. While getting nowhere with them I was constantly emailing the buyer telling them that the item is described just like the certificate of authenticity says with nothing else added. After a few emails I got the buyer to rescind the return. eBay doesn't even look at the listing to make sense of what the buyer is saying. This business is dying and everyone needs to move on. They are the worst I've ever seen and it's been like this for a long time. A place that only lets buyers leave negative feedback tells you what kind of company this is. So if you're a seller, beware, eBay does not care about you.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I’ve been selling my ancient coin collection on eBay for a couple of years, seriously selling for a few months. One of my coins was returned to me. eBay has been holding the “Final Value Fee” for this coin for no reason (that was given to me). I called customer service 4 times to get my money back. Customer service is usually someone in the Philippines. Every time I call to inquire about crediting me back the Final Value Fee for this coin I was told things like “I’ll be happy to assist you..." "I can help you with that..." "I understand your concern..." "I understand your frustration..." "I will be following up on that..." "We will have to appeal this..." "We’ll get back to you in 48 hours.”

It took me about two weeks back and forth until I got my money. eBay also counted this “return” against me, for NO reason. But later I understood the reason: that I’m now a “below standard” seller, so they will increase the Final Value Fee on the items I sell. I’ve used eBay as a buyer, and as a seller. eBay is definitely biased towards buyer, but think carefully if you’re considering to sell on eBay. I felt that they treat sellers as if all sellers sell stolen items, or as if all sellers are crooks. I know now why people choose to consign their collectible to auction house. Auction places probably charge a little more than eBay but they definitely save you A LOT of headaches That you will have to be prepared for when you sell on eBay. Thanks!

Original review: March 26, 2019

Bought an article who didn't arrived, I left ok feedback, eBay removed the feedback and Paypal shows no traces of the transaction, il Giardino di maya seller is having lot of control...eBay worth 0 today, it's finished of finished. Only losers and cheapskates.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was about to place an order with Divacos about a bundle of Clinique soaps that were for sale. There were about 5-10 soaps in a plastic bag and had white spots all over them. When I emailed Divacos about the spots, he/she (I suspect it was a she) sent a very rude message that if I didn't want it, don't buy it and that he/she was promptly blocking me from buying anything from Divacos. The only thing the eBay rep said was "buy it from someone else". Since then, I rarely use eBay.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased baby stroller, high chair, and baby activity player over $400 recently from eBay. Delivery was 3/18/19 and the other 2 items on 3/20/19. I got a message that the items were delivered but as at now, I haven’t. I contacted eBay and FedEx who delivered the items. For about a week now, it’s being frustrating. They will promise to call but no one will call. I just hope eBay does something to help customers from losing our items by holding FedEx responsible for deliveries and drivers deliver items.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I started selling on eBay in 1998. I had built up quite the business. In 2012 I had a 3500 sq. warehouse, 8 employees and I was "grandfathered" in as I was told in regards to how many items I could list: No limit. Then came the corporate mentality. They claim it is "your" business yet dictated how you are to respond to customers, force returns down your throat and instituted the same rules to sellers selling pre-owned and new. That isn't apples to apples. Despite having an authentification I had paid $50 for, they deemed an item I sold as not authentic.

Ever since they got slapped by Tiffany for the counterfeit fiasco that Tiffany has yet to recover from, they decided if a buyer claims something isn't authentic, then it must be so. And it was THEIR greed that allowed that to happen. But nonetheless, all sellers are now to pay for their lack of rules regarding copyright infringement. Scared little cats... So as a seller, you had have no recourse; No appeal, no open for discussion.

Nope, I got treated like I was a scam artist despite having 300K+ positive feedback and a certificate of authenticity in hand from a reputable company. Many times when selling pre-owned designer goods you could be the 4th or 5th owner... like a 30 year old Vuitton speedy, you don't have the original sales receipt. And if you did chances are pretty good that store is no longer in business. Hence paying a professional to authenticate it. So I was then restricted to selling a certain number of items as well as brands for 30 days. Well that doesn't help pay the rent or payroll or the enticing loans Paypal and Kabbage had approved me for. (Ah Kabbage, another story... They went in and took 50K from my account... Wait, I didn't have 50K so that ultimately put me in a bad way with B of A) It was a slow painful spiral.

Another incident was where I passed out behind the wheel while driving to obtain inventory. I was rushed to the hospital and was close to having a stroke. I was ordered to bed rest and was dehydrated etc. As every small business owner knows, there are no days off. Especially when you have to hustle even more due to restrictions placed on your account. I was hospitalized resulting in my eBay bill being 2 days late. Well eBay wanted all of what was owed asap or I was to be suspended. I called and spoke with various customer service reps. Each had a different version of what was to happen next. The last of which I was told that being "hospitalization" was NOT a valid reason for a late payment. (Yes I did ask if death was.)

Despite being a customer since 1998 and all the money I had earned for them I was still suspended!!! That ultimately put me out of business. Lay-offs and my divorce followed. (My spouse and I were partners) Fast forward 3 years I started listing under a friend's account (I know a big no-no) but one has to survive... I have a $2900 selling limit. My overview states I am 71% low in sales as compared to the market... Really, are you comparing me to other sellers with a $2900 limit? Nope. As usual no "apples to apples" comparison... They have deemed me as a below average seller... and wait for it... if I want my items to be in the top results of their search engine, I can "boost" my item by paying them an extortion fee of 12-19% of the selling price depending on the category I am listing in...

And the biggest kicker? I am "below standard" due to buyer returns... Funny I swear, my right hand to God... I listed the SAME ITEMS on Poshmark and I am a top rated seller with the buyers of those same exact items giving praise... That is because eBay has fostered an environment where the buyer can say whatever they want and paranoid eBay will back them. I get it, sellers need buyers... But in order to provide buyers with quality product and customer service, you sort of need ethical sellers. You don't treat them like last week's trash.

They will eventually become the "Lehman Bros" of this decade. The writing is on the wall, they are now giving discounts to make a purchase. So un-eBay... They keep changing their practices to mimic that of Poshmark and Tradesy. Clearly they are in panic mode. Serves them well. The snooty little call rep who spoke to me with such disdain and lack of respect will soon be purchasing a new career wardrobe from me on Poshmark. What eBay forgot, Karma will never forget. And although I never was a vengeful person, I will be doing a happy dance when that day comes. As I am sure many many other former sellers now in the unemployment line or applying for SNAP will be as well.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Here’s a site that used to actually facilitate a community where people could buy and sell respectfully. But instead it’s just trash. eBay allows buyers to abuse the return policy and the sellers. They did zero about a buyer who sent me threatening and insulting messages. Actually they required me to take a loss on an item I sold because of the buyer decided they didn’t like it, regardless of the item stating it could not be returned. In all fairness, I would have accepted the return to start with if the buyer didn’t insult and swear at me. Not only did eBay do nothing. But they don’t even have an avenue for sellers to protect themselves. Stick to other venues like Poshmark.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Any case seller appeal for buyer's case gets very high chance to lose money and defect rate so that eBay fee increases. eBay hardly listen appeal to maintain 1st decision. There is not many option sellers can do any unfair eBay judgement. I'll tell my case. Buyer missed to return one piece for an item. I appealed not to refund fully. Upon my Message to by buyer, the buyer never replies but eBay decided to refund fully. Buyer did not add return tracking. If I did not appeal to subtract amount for missing part, I might have not to refund and get defect point. So similar case, I would not report as I received when buyer missed to upload, then eBay handles it later after limited timed window passed to return from buyer. eBay customer service always tell out of point too much. They don't know about eBay.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Let be upfront. I hate Amazon with a passion and do everything I can not to order from Amazon or anybody that sells on Amazon. So I have been using eBay who is in competition with Amazon for my items. So the last couple of items I have ordered arrived and to my surprise it came from a Amazon fulfillment center. My blood began to boil! I called eBay to be told that you have to ask each seller if they are a drop shipper for Amazon before eBay will do anything. They don't have to advertise that they are selling Amazon stuff on eBay and eBay is wondering why they are losing that battle. To top it off, these parasites for Amazon are adding a couple of dollars on each item simply for posting it on eBay then ordering it from Amazon but using your address to have it shipped to. Back to shopping in stores for me.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Beware of eBay's, he protects his sellers more than he protects his buyers. I purchased an item as slightly used and when received is perfectly a used or for parts only item. Nowhere in the description it said that the item was missing parts and that the items was damaged. Moreover, it didn't said that the item had a strong smell of smoke. When I contacted eBay to dispute the items description, eBay denied my case claiming that the description says that the item was used. Like I said the item said "Slightly Used". It never said "Used".

So since they close my case without any further actions, they now sent me to Paypal to escalate the case and open a case with them. Now also Paypal denied my case because eBay told them that the item was "Used" and it doesn't violates their rules of "Used". Again, I am telling them that the item said it was "SLIGHTLY USED". Now I am stuck with an item that is good for nothing and $30+ less in my pocket. Paypal's manager even had the audacity to tell me to try to re-sell the item and try to get my money back that way. DO NOT USE eBay, DO NOT USE Paypal, you will do yourself a big favor.

Original review: March 19, 2019

eBay went all the way up to corporate to state that they think I made a transaction off eBay and are charging the amount in the message system of 10% of $7000 or $700. In other words they can claim anything and if they do not find in your favor you owe them that money otherwise this happens (mind you this has not happened to me yet but it does to many). (1) Collection agency. (2) They ruin your credit. (3) They hassle and call you. This is basically stealing of money. Also eBay changes all fixed price day listings (3-5-7-30 days) to good until cancelled which is a money grab by eBay since people will forget when relisted. Without going into detail eBay will make a killing from this decision that had started this month March 2019.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Checkout took more than 8 hours. Process extremely customer unfriendly. No way to contact eBay directly. Either by phone or email. Customer service is in the Philippines & even they don't know how to contact them. Absolute terrible business practice.

Original review: March 19, 2019

A seller of diamond stud earrings described as 4 carat D VS2 is a scam artist. I received junk earrings with one being fractured filled. The diamonds were actually L I3. Junk. I complained to the incompetent idiots in the call center at eBay who referred me to PayPal. They are more a scamming unit than the seller of the earrings. PayPal claimed a full refund if I mail the earrings back to an incomplete address in Israel.

Well, FEDEX International said one cannot send jewelry to Israel. It is prohibited and customs will mail my item back to me. I informed PayPal and the dope at custom service said “prove you cannot send jewelry to Israel”. I sent proof along with all pertinent documents. PayPal shut my claim for refund down saying not enough evidence. I lost $10,000. So cry for me. I want to use a four letter word for eBay and PayPal. Do not shop eBay. They are bad, bad, and bad.

eBay Company Information