eBay

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

When shopping eBay, you are shown the product, and the lowest price for one item. When you go to the page to make the order, the lowest price is for something completely different, and always a much higher price for the item you thought you were gong to get in the first place. This wastes your time and pisses you off. How can we stop them from doing this!

I bought LG G Pro 2 smartphone. After 8 months phone stop working... issues with sim card reader. Phone still in warranty period but seller said "how come it gets faulty when using it for long?" It seems the seller doesn't want to honor the phone warranty. The seller stops communicating with me. I sent report to eBay regarding seller's fraudulent behaviour.

When item purchased was not received, I went through the proper channels of filing a case with eBay. I sent eBay a police report; a USPS theft report; documentation that I was not at home when the package was supposedly delivered. I followed all the eBay directions, and was told no refund; no explanation; just no refund. An eBay employee told me to say I received the package but nothing was inside; also sent me an email telling me that was the way eBay could help me. I refused to file a false report. I spoke with managers and was told there was nothing they could do. The eBay money back guarantee was not worth the paper it was written on. Will never ever use eBay or Paypal again; will share story with everyone I can using any means available. Will file report with State of California.

The product was not as it was advertised... I was not able to return nor refundable... I was so disappointed and would never use this application again.

It makes me so upset to think that eBay gives false hope to letting sellers know that sellers are "protected" when selling on eBay. I've been selling on eBay for many years. I sold a MacBook air and shipped it out to the buyer who is located in Alabama. I shipped it with tracking and signature confirmation and although it's not mandatory for sellers to purchase additional insurance for the seller, I shipped it out anyways. Fast forward 2 weeks later, buyer opens a request requesting refund because it was never delivered. Tracking shows that it's just delayed, not lost. After immense investigation calling the buyer's USPS and distribution facility, USPS thinks the most logical explanation is that the label was somehow altered enough that the shipping address is unreadable. For packages with damaged labels, packages will be sent to another facility to be sorted out and it can take anywhere from 90-120 days to find it but that's not even guaranteed.

It's not the seller or buyer's fault but eBay immediately sided with the buyer and gave the full refund of almost $600 back to the buyer without even suggesting that the buyer wait it out a bit longer (because the package can actually be delayed). Then suggest to me that if for any reason the item gets delivered later, I can request the buyer to give me back the funds or return the MacBook. How incredibly STUPID of eBay to think that any person out there would give back the money if they basically received a free MacBook!!! I'm so turned off at how eBay's "escalation specialist" handled this situation.

Things I learned from eBay: Never ship to anyone living in rural Alabama. This buyer probably lives in some disgusting swamp and has a bad address. No wonder USPS says the package is delayed because they probably can't figure out which craphole you live in. eBay "escalation specialists" should probably figure out a different title for their career. You don't even do the BARE MINIMUM and just give back refunds to the buyer without even considering the seller's situation. I will be closing my eBay account after all these years of selling because I'm disgusted at their seller "protection" policy and will tell everyone what a horrific experience this was. Bye Felicia.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

I'm not a fan of eBay but sometimes it's the best bargain in town. I had a bad first experience but I gave it another try. Just be careful with whom you do business with and guarantees.

eBay offers easy transactions and no shipping fees. I can use PayPal credit or credit cards. No hassle with returns or questions. They also have vendor contact with ratings and customer reviews.

I'm new to eBay shopping but my experience has been positive. Although each seller is different, I always get my order within a week. I also feel secure using PayPal for payment. You just have to check the feedback on the seller.

I have been shopping on eBay since 2000. In the beginning the climate felt quite different than now. I liked bidding in auctions as it challenged me to really think about what I was trying to buy, and what value it had for me. But monitoring auctions can be very time-consuming and especially those closing in the middle of the night. I was really happy when I found sniping software so that I didn't have to sit in front of my computer waiting for an auction to end.

In the early years I used eBay to find my hobby supplies which can be quite expensive, and of course my daughter went through the Beanie Baby craze. As she reached middle school she went from tomboy to wanting to dress designer style. And styles do change quickly. EBay afforded us the opportunity to buy at prices we could comfortably afford such as buying a $115.00 Baby Phat Satin Bomber Jacket for $35.00. I'm also not opposed to buying used clothing or shoes as long as they are in good condition. I bought name brand and designer clothing and accessories at a fraction of the retail price. I love antique porcelain both European and Asian. EBay was my hog heaven. I can't say that I had a lot of problems shopping on eBay as overall my experiences have been good. I've had a few transaction problems with sellers over the years, and for the most part was able to settle disputes satisfactorily. My interactions with eBay and Paypal's customer services have been good, and only in very few situations felt it could be handled differently.

The community boards on eBay have been very helpful in learning how to handle most of the situations that came up. There have been a lot of policy changes over the years some good, and some bad. Fraud seems to be increasing especially with buyers. It's important to learn how to minimize risk and loss. I don't buy much internationally anymore, and when I do they tend to be low-value items, and low weight because returns are pricey. The majority of non-deliveries and not as described were international purchases.

Overall, I still love shopping on eBay, but it does feel much more impersonal. The policy changes have also affected sellers in a negative way by creating tensions with the dispute process. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback which I see as a mistake and disadvantage. I feel that sellers should be permitted to comment when they aren't paid, or when there is clear evidence of a fraudulent return. It has become much more adversarial and a one size fits all return policy has insufficient protection for sellers in some cases. In the very least there should be a mechanism for appeals when a seller doesn't receive their merchandise back, or receives something significantly different, or their item is not returned in the same condition.

I think that most people selling on eBay are individuals and I feel eBay needs to consider that when making changes to policy. I don't see pushing sellers to have 30-day return policy is feasible because most can't afford to sit on the money for 30 days to make sure the customer is happy with their purchase. Fine for brick and mortar businesses that have capital funds and alternative revenue streams. However, as in any venue, you take precautions to protect yourself, and do provide quality service to avoid customer dissatisfaction.

Auctions can be fun and at times you get a great price. I love that eBay is still a place where you can find the unusual and rare. On the other side, fixed price sales can minimize exposure to buyers who don't pay by requiring immediate payment. If your seller doesn't deliver the buyer is protected by eBay's guarantees. Buyers also need to make sure that they have a safe place to receive packages as well. Many a package has gone missing after delivery so if you are purchasing a high-value item signature delivery minimizes the possibility of loss. The packages should be insured full value as well should it go missing or damaged. EBay is still a great place to have fun buying, and a unique website where almost anyone and everything can be sold.

eBay is nothing but a waste of time. You bid and still get nothing. Then they send you all these emails and the product looks nothing like the picture. It's used retail at a high price. I hate eBay. I will never order from them again.

I recently purchased some hair extension from eBay seller. She didn't list on her page the true product detail. So of course I was unhappy. I contacted seller about product and thereafter to give me 10$ back towards my 200$ purchase. I refused and had eBay step in. I was able to get full refund but eBay made it where I had to at shipping back to China. Nope. I kept the hair and just made due.

The shopping experience was great. I did the buy now option and it was simple. The price came up, I paid and then put in my address and then the seller sent me the product in about a week and it was just as I was looking for! I gave the person a positive mark because they did a great job with the product and shipping!

Being a primary school teacher I learned that by using eBay I could find everything that I need for my classroom. And the items were less than buying the same item at retail price.

Let me just say, if you’re thinking about selling on eBay beware that they don't protect the sellers like they say they do. Both eBay and PayPal are for whom ever is paying the money and how much they will make, it’s not for what's right and wrong or as written that they protect the sellers from buyers, like for instance, a buyer, even after having the purchased item from the seller can come back several months later and complain they have issues with the items or just changed their mind and want a refund even when you as a seller disagree due to it clearly says per sellers return policy all sales are final. This is mandatory when listing an item to sell on eBay. You are stepped through a listing process that asks you about returns if you will accept or not.

eBay claims to protect the seller by their policy and procedures, you have to follow the rules that change or made unclear to the seller at first "like the fine print". You could say that because they are big businesses they get away with a lot. When listing an item the seller has to go through eBay's listing process and it’s confusing because they have a listing program you’re walked through to describe what you're selling and procedures that they want the sellers to follow each and every time you post an item.

After all these years buying on eBay I have only had 1 problem. I never received my item I purchased but the seller had to cancel it and gave me a full refund. Other than that I have enjoyed purchasing many fine products without any problems. I love buying through eBay.

Although my purchase was recent it was the last purchase I will make with eBay. I ordered books for my son who was in college. I ordered them well in advance of the start of his classes. One of the sellers did not send the book for weeks after school started despite multiple attempts to contact him for a promised delivery date. Finally, after several calls to eBay the next day, the book was delivered via FedEx weeks after his class started.

There are lots of too cheap things on eBay... For example, products that are fake, copies, or reproductions that are not clearly identified. The "no questions asked" refund thing isn't so great - you can break something and lie way too easily to get full PO refund. Shipping is pretty outrageous, too. I stopped using eBay except in pretty dire situations...

I have been an eBay buyer for a couple of years. I have always been pleased with my purchase and if I have had a problem, customer service has always been willing to help solve the problem quickly.

It doesn't make me happy to be so down on eBay but my experiences doing business, making purchases has been not very satisfying. Wrong, fake, and often zero products even though I paid for them. No fun.

I like shopping on eBay because I can shop any time - day or night! When searching for certain items, there have always been multiple choices for selecting exactly what I am looking for. I have never had any problems when paying for my purchases. It's a great service for consumers!

Thanks to bad information given to me by a live person when I called eBay customer service I am now out almost $300 dollars and growing. I attempted to return a refurbished cell phone. I paid almost $12 to get a return shipping label that, on multiple computers I was unable to print. I contacted eBay regarding the issue and lost track of time while waiting for a response. Flash forward 30 days and I receive a message from eBay stating the seller received the item and a refund was issued though I hadn't even sent it back yet? I immediately call eBay and I'm told that is an automated message they send assuming everything has been taken care of. I ask what should I do. I explain the entire situation and I'm told not to worry about the 30 day return policy, I should mail the item back myself and call eBay back with the tracking number. I was told they would take care of it and even refund my original shipping I was unable to use.

I mailed the phone back splurging for 2 day, certified shipping. The phone was confirmed returned August 16 and still, today 09/03/2017 no refund. I call eBay again and I'm told, completely contrary to what I was originally told, eBay cannot help me and at this point it's between me and the seller. Now I'm out around $25 in shipping costs, I'm still paying interest to PayPal on a $250 dollar phone that I don't even possess and I'm at the mercy of the seller to either tell give me a refund or send me back a phone that I cannot use.

I'm a customer that has purchased almost $2500 in goods over the past 6 months and I'm told to pound sand? Had they told me from the first time I had called that they couldn't help that would be one thing but, here I am now left holding the bag because they gave me poor information. If it's eBay policy to jump over dollars to pick up dimes good luck with that business model. Competition is fierce in this arena of selling right now.

First off, every single customer service rep that I speak to (which is often because there are always hiccups) sounds the same. I feel like eBay just clones their workers like oompa loompas. Secondly, why is it that even for the simplest of issues they have to transfer me to somebody else (which again sounds like the same person) an average of 3 times each call? Everything takes FOREVER and they are always so rude and condescending.

I feel guilty because they make it sound like I am wasting their time for calling them and making do their job. When time comes around when eBay takes whatever percent they do of your sales, I really have such great distain that I want to throw up thinking about giving these people a dime of my sales. I guess what I am trying to say is to use "Let It Go" app or Facebook to sell your items. You deal with people directly and nobody is going to take a percentage off the top. Ebay will be extinct within 5 years and I cannot wait for it. Thanks for always putting my panties in a knot, eBay.

This involves a few items purchased on eBay during the past several months. (I have been buying on eBay for years, and am usually pleased with items bought, prices, shipping times, and interactions with sellers. I will continue to buy from eBay.) My main problems with buying from eBay are that sellers may describe items incorrectly, send the wrong item, or quality of a manufactured item may be poor. For example, I ordered a pair of plain black espadrilles and received a pair in a leopard print. (Seller did give me a full refund.)

I ordered a woman's top by Adrienne Vittadini and received one by Adrianna Papell. (I decided to keep this item because it was too much trouble to return it.) I also bought an Arksen portable washing machine which malfunctioned on the first day it arrived and ceased to work completely within a week. After much complaining and numerous emails, I received a full refund. I ordered an electric hot plate which arrived with major manufacturing damage, making it inoperable. After much complaining and many emails, I received a full refund.

I've only had one bad experience with purchasing products on the eBay website & it was having to deal with a very young or immature salesperson with zero customer skills. I was very understanding of their mistake, but was accused of researching the site for people who accepted returns to ship back the wrong product they shipped to me in the first place. Unfortunately it was my last purchase for an inexpensive necklace I needed for a themed dinner party. Otherwise, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ALL of the rest of my purchases I have experienced through the eBay website!! I've been a member for around 6-7 years.

I have bought many pairs of shoes on eBay and they have always fit the description to a tee. The pictures of every angle are very useful in helping me make my purchases and I have been very happy with my purchases.

Some sellers are not eager to ship your products that are paid for and do not respond to your contacting them. But eBay has a money back guarantee and are helpful when products are not being received. The customer service reps are pleasant and are quick to resolve issues and get you your products refunds. They live up to your expectation and care about the consumers be you can feel confident when you use their website.

When eBay started it was great. Reasonable prices. Now eBay sucks. The shipping charges are too much. It's just not appealing anymore. I can find some of the same items on Craigslist.

You can always find good prices on eBay, also, unusual and vintage items. The only thing I find is the shipping can be slow, but if there is a problem, it is taken care of promptly.

EBay is great in purchasing products in 2 ways. If you have the time to bid, then you just might get a downtown price or if you want to buy right away that option is also available. If you have a PayPal account it's even easier!

I have been an online shopper with eBay for many years and I love that I can find products that are no longer available or are difficult to find. Most of what I purchase are items that are vintage or antique products and I like that eBay has the option to find vintage, antique, or discontinued items that I am in search of. The purchase and delivery is very good and the sellers are very easy to work with. Many communicate quickly and answer questions that I have. But I do have to be careful to compare prices as eBay sellers resell products that can be found on other sites such as Amazon for a cheaper price.

eBay Company Profile