1.46/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4313 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I've happily shopped bits and pieces on eBay for years but have always been quite careful, knowing things are not always as good as they are described. I will no longer bother with eBay. My most recent items were all fails: a "Bicycle Seat Cover Silicone Gel Pad", from znuonline, which has no gel or silicone. "Transition Photochromic Progressive Multi Focus Reading Glasses", from 1st.ing, which are worse than no glasses at all and an "ankle Protector Ankle Brace Guard Foot Support Sport" from lalanggift, which was completely different to the one shown. You can pretty much guarantee that items listed as Sterling Silver, even when "marked 925", are only silver plated. It's just too disappointing. I will not bother with eBay anymore. If you are going to shop on eBay, be very alert, read every detail and be very conscious of the dates of expected arrival and when a transaction will be closed.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I’ve contacted eBay, eBay contact the seller then the seller contacted me. Ask to send photos which I did. I’ve explained I wanted a refund. The seller replied and said the warehouse maybe forgot the pieces and no contact from eBay or the seller. I’m stuck with just shelves. $18.95. No refund. No contact from either two.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I purchased an expensive tool on eBay. Had a negative experience with the seller. Seller finally challenged me to leave neg feedback saying they would handle it with eBay. I did and eBay removed it. What's the point? Seller sounded like this has happened before. Had previous neg feedback been left up perhaps I wouldn't have had this experience. If neg feedback is removed, all feedback becomes irrelevant. I was never contacted by eBay. Just had my feedback removed. Horrible! Don't trust feedback on eBay, I certainly never will again. I'm shopping elsewhere whenever possible.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Sold Justice League Ultra 4K HD to a user named ** who files a claim that there's no digital code WITHOUT opening the item. The second most stupidest scam I ever encountered in my 10 years of selling. Despite providing evidence on my end that there's digital code inside, eBay came to a decision at 10:32AM and sided with buyer 1 minute after he escalates claim on eBay (10:31AM).

It's obvious that no one read the case and that eBay's resolution system is AUTOMATED. The only slim chance you have of turning the case in your favor is contacting customer service. Problem is that weekend customer service people are lazy incompetent fools and some of the weekday staff are unhelpful and rude. To add insult to injury, the buyer thanks me for giving him a refund when eBay did that which proves that this scam artist is a professional who has done this before. No worries because Abraham **'s days of scamming professional sellers are finished once he shows up on badbuyerlist.org.

eBay deserves to lose its sellers to Amazon, Bonanza and other small selling sites. Yet eBay is so pigheaded that they blame Amazon for stealing their sellers when they can't even look at themselves in the mirror. They have forgotten what made them great in the first place. In fact, eBay should be under criminal investigation for allowing scammers and possibly criminal organizations to run wild on their website. More investigative journalism on eBay's business practices is needed other than The Guardian UK newspaper which exposed how shady eBay gets when dealing with scammers. It is ridiculous that I get suspicious messages from people offering to trade digital codes for something else. I am getting close to my breaking point with eBay where I may have to move into a new selling website.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I recently made a purchase on eBay a phone case for Samsung Galaxy S9. And I received a broken phone case. I issued a refund. And I didn't get a refund. Nothing happened. I lost $5 dollars on a broken phone case. Do not shop on eBay. I will only be doing mall shopping and Dickies clothing store shop for future purchases. Buyer beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Been shopping on eBay for 10 years. Recently made a purchase and only received literally half an item. eBay sided with seller and expected me to jump through hoops to leave me at the mercy of negotiation with seller. Done with eBay! So aggrieved! I will only be doing Amazon for future purchases.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

If I could pick no stars I would. eBay is a joke! If you are thinking about selling on eBay, DONT DO IT! They will always rule in favor of the buyer, so sellers get screwed. The guy on the phone flat out told me that when sellers or buyers ask them to step in for a return, eBay defaults and approves in favor of the buyer and does a force refund on the seller, they dont even read the case. This came directly from the mouth of one of the eBay phone reps. Sell somewhere else. This company needs shut down. Then on the phone, the rep intentionally would stop talking and wait for 20 min just to see if I would hang up!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Sold an used textbook through eBay. I was provided a shipping address in New York. 5 days later the packing slip changed to California address after item was delivered! Spoke to the resolution team and they confirmed me that the first address is buyer’s primary address...I still lost the case! Lost 5 dollar shipping fee and my book! I don’t know what step went wrong but definitely not on me!!! How can I imagine an address happen to be buyer’s primary address under his name... Of course I was provided the address by eBay!!! Really unfair website and team!!! Will never buy or sell from eBay again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

eBay is selling products that promote hate and violence despite their rules, and they deleted my thread about that in their forum. They also allow deceptive prices in their search results. I'm returning items and closing my account. I don't do business with folks like that.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

After years of buying on eBay they “lost” my account and have no records of it. When ordering in December, I had to use a guest account. I had the order shipped to my mother’s address as I work during the day. They created a new account using my email, phone number and credit card number under my MOTHER'S name. I returned the item. I was first told the seller would send a return label. When this did not happen, I was told I had to ship it back. I was not able to add the return tracking number and was told to call back when the item was shipped.

They refused to take the tracking number because they said the account was under my mother's name and she would have to authorize the return. My mother had nothing to do with this order. It was just shipped to her address. She is 83 and would probably not answer the phone if they called. If she answered, she would hang up thinking it was a scam call. Customer service is totally unhelpful. These foreign call centers are so restricted, they are unable to make an intelligent decision. Will never buy on eBay again. DO NOT recommend.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

eBay has been a NIGHTMARE for me!! Received 11 5-star ratings from customers over the few months I have been selling on eBay and never will sell on eBay again! Everything from mystery fees popping up to being charged more than I have made on the site to having to call several times a week. Items being shipped and buyers not paying, I cannot even close my account because I keep getting fees! I have sold all my items a while ago, and still I cannot close my account! Thankfully haven't really bought much from eBay in the past and most certainly will not in the future- Do not recommend for anyone to sell as they are unprofessional and do not know what they are doing- Horrible experience with selling on eBay and will continue to sell on Amazon, which has been great over the last few years.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Very difficult to sell on Ebay anymore. Scammers are everywhere. I have lost so much time, money and product that I have finally ended my 12 year relationship with them. Truly devastating and sad but a necessity in the end.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

eBay knowingly lets Chinese sellers sell fake Graphic Cards, thousands of them. Made a police complaint. If you buy one it underperforms. A program called GPU-Z tests the cards. Then you find out it's an old chipset. eBay knows all this.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

It says it all with so many negative reviews. Will never give them my money again. They stand by the businesses even when they are mistreating customers. When you leave an honest negative review they remove it if the business complains. eBay is a dishonest business. Closing my account after years of using them. Purchased some bedding. Business page states 30 days to return item for full refund. eBay gave me 10 days to return it which contradicts the business page.

Business stalled me returning item so that the 10 days expired. eBay got involved and supported the business saying that I could not get a refund. What kind of established business does this? I left an honest review stating my experience. eBay removed my review plus 3 other similar reviews left by other customers months before me. The business now has 100% positive reviews which is a false representation of this company if you look at their reviews outside of eBay. Sad really that eBay needs to stoop so low.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Amazing!!! I don't know what eBay does with all its money, but it's clear it does not go into a quality customer service product!! First, you can't understand them - these companies think they save so much by having overseas customer support services. But like in this case, I will never use eBay Customer Support again, much less sell much there!! Second, these customer support people do nothing but read from a script - they truly do not understand anything unless it is in black and white in front of them!! Just an absolutely horrid experience, and I hope more and more people experience the same thing and stop using eBay!! Maybe by forcing them out of business, they'll better understand that by not focusing on customer service, you can't survive!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

It is "free" to list, but they will still take 9-10% of the sold item price as "Final Value Fees". They do not subtract it from the amount you are paid. Rather they invoice for it at the end of the month. This is misleading since their website states that the listing is free, when in reality it costs to list and sell an item.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Sold 2 items and after all was said and done I was $14.00 in the hole? When I called customer service they explained that they charge a percentage on the shipping because of customers complaining about exorbitant shipping costs from sellers? How does this help? Shipping costs time, wrapping materials, and gas and time to the post office. All which is not charged for. With this practice I will have to raise my shipping costs (again, a useless and greedy policy). 100% I do not recommend eBay. Save yourself the aggravation!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Don't expect any customer service from this site. If you have an issue with a seller they will automatically side with them. You are on your own. It will take at least 3 days to get someone to "step in" and it will be someone from India that you can barely understand telling you as polite as they can that they are sorry but you will not be getting any help from them. Just go to Amazon. They have the best customer service. Or really any other website. This place is a joke full of rude sellers and bidding scams.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I've been ripped off by international sellers on eBay a couple times now. eBay really doesn't do much to help you as a buyer when you have a problem with a seller. This is a great place for less than honest sellers. Getting a refund for an eBay product is generally impossible even when you receive a defective or wrong item. I shop on eBay far less now than previously. Amazon is far better at weeding out the bad sellers and refunds are so much easier when need be. If you use eBay, be sure to make yourself well aware of return policies because eBay is going to leave you on your own when a problem arises. eBay makes a lot of money from its sellers so they are not likely to take action because they will lose revenue when a seller is banned. Buyer beware is a fitting statement when using eBay. Their offshore call center is next to useless. I hope you have better luck than I have.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Purchased a Xmas gift for my minor nephew in another state. Item did not arrive. Seller will not return emails. Contact eBay and because it is a guest account they cannot expedite the refund. And want to walk me thru the process on the computer. He states that the Account was set up in the Ship to addresses Name which is a minor and that he will just close the account because they are not allowed to have transactions with a minor. I consider this a threat! Telling me he will just close the account so the seller can keep my cash without delivery! This felt like a back alley drug transaction! BUYER BEWARE! They will let anyone sell on this site. After tracking the seller I find out he is less than favorable and is in the headlines of newspapers!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered a product that never came. Prior to product not coming I checked the status of the seller and within 1 week they received 58 negative feedbacks (since my order). Either their account was hacked or they are scum bags. I have been on the phone with eBay whom obviously doesn't give a crap about people being ripped off as they have not stopped this account. Their wait period for refunds is ridiculous. They are ACTUALLY ALLOWING people to get scammed. Customer Service hung up because I got pissed off with them after 5 phone calls and no progress. WISH THERE WAS A BETTER and SAFER PLACE THAN EBAY. Someone has got to come up with something.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Sold a non reserve item. Buyer opened a NOT AS DESCRIBED claim the day after I shipped item. EBAY refund buyer's money and allowed buyer to keep item. When I complained, eBay said that IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE RETURN OF SELLER'S TOP ITEMS. PayPal is eBay partner in fraud. Stay away or lose your money. It is that simple.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Taking the time to report this. eBay seems to be ignoring the fact that many vendors from overseas are selling sub-standard merchandise, or not shipping items at all. It is getting almost impossible to find certain items without having to weed out the tremendous number of mostly Chinese vendors who are selling broken, sub-standard, non-functioning or especially counterfeit items. Seems that even if a vendor has a huge number of negative ratings, they are able to remain a selling presence on eBay. This needs to be stopped. Soon.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I ordered ear domes for my hearing aids. The seller stated that this item had free returns. I started the eBay returns process and received a message from eBay stating that eBay will charge me $2.66 for the return label. THIS IS NOT FREE RETURNS!!! I figured it would cost me this much in postage so I went forward with the return. After I selected the "print return label", eBay took me to a Paypal sign on screen to pay. I do not have a Paypal account and never will have one. There is no other payment option available and you must create a Paypal account. Is forcing customers to open a Paypal account to complete their free return legal? I am reporting this to my SAG office to see if this is even legal. The money eBay will spend answering the SAG office complaint will be more than the $2.66 charged for the return label.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have used eBay in the past but not for several years until as of late. Sold an item. Plainly stated that there are no refunds, no returns, listed as a parts piece and had issues. Buyer get product. Sends me a picture showing he has taken it apart and it doesn't work properly and demands a refund, so I ask eBay for assistance in this matter. Nothing happens from eBay so I decide lesson learned. Give buyer a refund and pay eBay their 10%. Never again will I sell anything on this rip-off company's site. This company should cease to exist and other sellers beware. You will not get any assistance from eBay. SO SAD.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

EBAY - You have given me 2 years of constant aggravation. Almost every item I wanted to list was questioned in a unreasonable manner with a letter of standard rhetoric by some brainless imbecile. Never did you demonstrate the kind of professionalism to encouragement of your customers that many years ago you did. That was a time when you as an organization had the drive to grow. Now you’re simply too big for your boots, overpriced and with your added muscle power PayPal utterly complacent.

Four times I wrote to both of you highlighting that some “known” characters were using you as a platform to defraud. You choose to ignore my notifications entirely. Even my expensive long distance calls fell on deaf ears. The same scammers are still operating on your website, with positive endorsements. Not surprisingly I’m now ignoring your out of control establishment/management to safeguard the sale of my private watch collection at better rates and with greater motivation and professionalism.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

eBay customer service literally waste your time. They are unable to do anything and will constantly lie to you in emails and then be unable to find the representatives who emailed you. Simply put they are a bunch of liars.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This is the second time in the last year I’ve had to use eBay customer service. Both times proved that I have wasted my time calling eBay customer service. I don’t know what happened to this company. They used to be so good and were of great assistance. Now it seems like they hire twits with no customer service skills and they are no service to the buyers who have been loyal, faithful and support their business. And trust me I have dropped a lot of money on eBay over the years.

My most recent transaction with customer service was when I had placed an order from my laptop since the seller would not accept payments from the mobile app or PayPal. When entering my credit card information I was prompted to hit a next button. I expected this to be the review page before placing order of where to enter promo codes. Immediately my credit card was charged. Coincidentally I never would’ve purchased without the 15% promo code eBay was offering for just a few hours. So I called customer service and was told since the order was placed there was nothing they could do. Only option: I could contact the seller and ask for cancellation. Of course there is something they can do.

They can credit my account the $26 difference. The eBay customer service rep says to me “Is there anything else I can help you with today?“ I could only reply thru gritted teeth “Why would you ask that? You didn’t help me at all.” So I asked the seller to cancel and I sure hope they do because they offer free returns and I purchased from another seller. I had to do it this way because the promo code was only good for another hour and the eBay customer service rep could not assist me with that either after she was asked to. In fact she told me to place an order with the same seller and I mentioned to her again about the promo code expiration and she replied, “Oh yeah. It will expire and there’s nothing that we can do about that.“ eBay gets an F in my book for customer service that is pure awful and just such stupid people.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I recently listed an item (one) for sale on eBay. They wanted access to my checking account which I allowed. All is good, item is listed. Then I get an email from my bank saying that it is not really a good idea. Even PayPal sent an email to showing how to cancel the connection. So, I revoked access. Today, eBay suspended my account and cancelled all orders. eBay sent me an email that I could not respond to and it did not include a phone number. Once I got someone on the phone, I was asked all kinds of ridiculous questions. I was enraged that my integrity was doubted. I told eBay that I do whatever it takes to make my customers happy and that will reflect positively on them. I was told that I was a “threat” to the eBay community. Absolutely beyond absurd!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I am periodic eBay user since 2004 with about 130 transactions and 100% positive feedback. I recently sold a 10 month old, fully working, under warranty Apple laptop to a buyer for $1,049. The buyer had 0 feedback and had been eBay user for less than 30 days. Four days after receipt of my laptop the buyer started a return request claiming and showing with photos that the laptop display was malfunctioning (showing blurry for a 4” vertical strip).

I exchanged many messages with the buyer trying to get more details. I understood the buyer did not want to wait for a warranty repair, but I also was concerned there was more to the story as I found it very odd this issue would begin out of nowhere. The buyer told me there was no shipping damage and that it worked for a day or two before it started having the problem. I asked the buyer to take the laptop to Apple to have it examined and he refused. I spoke with eBay customer service stating my concern about the situation, but I was forced to accept the return by eBay.

I spoke to eBay customer service again after I was forced to accept the return and I was told A) I would have two days to evaluate the laptop after the delivery was confirmed and issue a refund and B) if there was any problem that I was protected for Faulty Return and that I had nothing to worry about it because of my long standing positive eBay user history. I was skeptical, but at this point I well understood eBay and eBay customer service does not look at any facts of the situation, they only follow the script and what their computer system tells them to do. I had no choice but to go through the motions.

I nervously received the laptop knowing I was almost assured screwed. I opened it and it was in perfect physical condition as I sent it out and the screen was in fact malfunctioning as shown in the buyer’s photos. I took it to the Apple store and they did the minimal diagnostics and then took it from me to send for repair. Apple told me it would be three weeks before I got it back. At this point it had been the two days, I had no reason to think this was anything but a super weird circumstance, as the buyer claimed, and felt obligated as moral person and based on what eBay told me to issue the buyer a refund. So, I pushed the refund button.

About four days later I got an email from Apple stating the technicians found internal liquid damage in the laptop when they opened it and that the repair was not going to be covered by warranty. It was in fact going to cost $800. At this point I immediately called back eBay and spoke to a customer service rep. I was told within minutes of the conversation not to worry and that I would be covered by the faulty return. It was explained in detail that this would not affect my account and that I could expect to see a credit, as if the laptop had been sold, within 24 hours. I was quite surprised at the simplicity of this, they did not even want information I received from Apple, but it lined up with the previous conversations I had with eBay and the general trend of following the prompts.

Three days later no credit posted. I called eBay customer service to inquire, and quickly realized no one knew what I was talking about with a credit. I eventually got to a proper supervisor who quite frankly explained to me the following. Because I had voluntarily clicked refund and the system did not automatically refund the buyer, I had voided the protection eBay was otherwise going to offer me. I was told this is how the system works and there was no changing it. Like I said earlier I already understood eBay customer service did not at all consider the facts and just followed the script, but I found this (and still do) unbelievable.

I called again and spoke with another Supervisor to be harshly told the same thing: "Yes, you would have got the courtesy credit, but you clicked refund, so now it’s your responsibility and eBay is no longer involved in the matter." Of course, I was never warned about this earlier while asking many times what the details of the process was, but I am sure it is some user agreement fine print somewhere.

I understand eBay should really be taken only as a medium for selling and expecting anything from them other than to bill you the fees is clearly a mistake. I never really believed eBay would protect its buyers, sellers, or reputation if it had any cost to eBay. I just am in awe that eBay’s customer service can be so mindless and hypocritical. If I had not been told over and over again not to worry, even to the point where I was told a credit was issued, I might not be so aggravated.

The reality is I was forced to accept the return, forced to issue a refund, and then now I am left with a broken product worth almost nothing. eBay’s customer service not only chose to support a user with literally no history over one with 15 plus years, but then given a simple opportunity to make it right, eBay basically gave me the middle finger and told me I made a mistake pushing the refund button.

Even though eBay made the mistake of telling they would protect me and even had issued a credit to me, that eBay would not stand by that because that is not what the system lets them do when the user pushes the refund button. And that is the kind of company eBay is. I will not be using their service any longer and I wanted to share my story as a warning for anyone who choosing to use eBay. At this point the aggravation of dealing with the deceitful buyer and eBay is far worse to me than even the money. God help you if any eBay transaction does not go smoothly.

eBay Company Information