eBay
  • 1 star
Based on 1,125 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

eBay

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

3767 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I sold a product on eBay. The buyer claimed the item was damaged. It was in perfect condition when sent. eBay "ruled" that I needed to refund the buyer and pay for return shipping. They refunded the buyer, but the buyer never sent the item back. They will not respond to email, and the buyer will not respond.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Ordered a key and it said it was delivered. It was only a ten dollar item so no real gain if I was to be a scammer. I contacted the seller. All they did was send me shipping information on a order which did not resolve the problem. I asked eBay to help and they did nothing. Gave me the same runaround as the seller. I will never purchase from eBay again. Amazon has never given me problems. This is the third time I've given eBay and its sellers a chance and again they screwed me. Worst website ever.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered an item on Nov. 28th. The item showed estimated delivery date of Dec. 4th-11th. It didn't arrive and when I checked the tracking info it showed it had been transferred to the delivery service provider in GA on the 6th and the tracking info stopped there. The location was about 300 miles from me. I contacted the seller and got the, "Oh well it is the holidays, give it more time." I'm sorry but an 8 day delivery window that isn't met isn't acceptable. I talked to an agent at eBay after a long hold and she went back and forth. At first it was she would put in a refund request and I should have my money back within 24-48 hours. Then it went to well it actually will be the 18th before we can escalate this and give you a refund.

At that time I asked to speak to a supervisor and after another long hold was told basically the same thing by him. I explained I was leaving to go out of town on the 15th, that the item was a gift I was going to take with me and I wouldn't be back until after the holidays, Basically so sorry but can't do anything until the 18th. Total aggravation I didn't need right now. Anyway, it's been awhile since I ordered on eBay and now I remember why. Amazon would have taken care of this in 5 minutes instead of the 2 hours it took me to get nowhere.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Don’t sell with eBay!!! You’d be better off selling with Craigslist, Facebook etc where there’s no fees anyways. I have been screwed a NUMBER of times because eBay does not enforce their policy that a bid is a contract to pay. They don’t require payment up front so I’ve had a number of fraudulent buyers and even buyers who just changed their mind refuse to pay. The most frustrating was my most recent sale of an item that was out of stock at the time and I had multiple bidders, the winner decided not to pay and now the item is back in stock so I can no longer sell it. EXTREMELY frustrating because I had other bidders who I could have sold it to but now it’s too late because eBay doesn’t enforce their own policies. Ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I ordered a Tiffany & Co. 925 necklace from an eBay seller. When the item didn't arrive, I contacted the seller who said this her account had been hacked and she never listed this item nor did she receive the PayPal payment. I reported this to eBay who insisted that although they could see that the seller's account had been hacked, they would not step in until the 4 day waiting period expired. They refused to stop the transaction or refund the money. Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service. I asked for a supervisor to escalate this and was told there isn't one!! Lies on top of bad service. I will close my eBay account!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

After receiving a 15% off coupon from eBay I decided to use it to purchase computers for my grandchildren, no matter how I tried to redeem this coupon I was turned down for not having the right code, I've made purchases galore on this site and found this to be the last straw. I may be a single customer but local merchants are not too large for my business.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

eBay Inc is using a top rated seller (user) Joseph ** seller ID "Hubcapjoes" to abuse and go after me and my workplace on YouTube under the "Crazeenydriver", and "CrazeenydriverNYC" channels. He is a spokesperson for eBay Inc and is doxxing my workplace telling people to get me fired. I was also a user of eBay Inc but not anymore. This is a privacy concern eBay allowing their top sellers to cyberbullying, bully and harass former users of eBay Inc.

Message to eBay Inc (You're on Notice). I want seller Hubcapjoes to stop this abusive behavior and his selling privileges terminated. All allegations by eBay seller Hubcapjoes are untrue and his abuse has been documented by more than one party for evidence. This is bullying and social media reputation management in order to give the illusion that eBay Inc has a positive image which is an FTC violation. Hubcapjoes is to cease and desist from emailing, calling my workplace, making videos about my workplace and making accusations anywhere else on the internet about me. Charles ** Canton Michigan *Fox 2 news, stating I own guns and that I'm dangerous to the public.

This YouTuber Crazeenydriver (Joseph **) furthermore has also created a twitter account called "@reportbullies" that is tweeting to FBI, NEWS and tabloid magazines about me daily. I also have evidence of him creating and using his website hosted in Bulgaria by Blue Angel Host (TelePoint Data Center Administrator Sunil Shahzad, United Arab Emirates AKA sc0rpian.king) to abuse stalk and harass me also. https://sellercritic.com/telepoint-data-center-sunil-shahzad-works-hubcapjoes/.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

After selling on eBay for over 20 years (yes, really), I received my first negative feedback due to a buyer complaining that I sent an item not as advertised. I immediately accepted the return and upon receipt of the package, opened it to find a different item than I shipped. I sent a new item, the one I received back was used, damaged and had sand in it. I would also like to note that the buyer did not contact me, not even once regarding the transaction. After reporting the buyer to eBay, I have heard nothing. I then looked at the buyer's account and they have left a negative feedback on dozens upon dozens upon dozens of transactions, clearly abusing the feedback system. This again has been reported to eBay. After waiting and waiting, I have still heard no response from eBay and the buyer is still leaving negative feedback comments willy nilly all over eBay.

I've filed my case with the BBB, but since they're only concerned about eBay paying them for an A+ rating, I know that will be fruitless. Even after 20 years, I can say that the worst thing about eBay is the customer service. They offer very little protection to sellers in cases like this, in fact, it perpetuates fraud (this isn't the first time this has happened to me). I wish there were an alternative, that's where I'd be selling.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I contacted their Customer service. Got very upset as I am seller with eBay tho, I did have an account back in 2013 for a 2 years so I am not brand new seller. That account I believed was still open as I changed emails. I need to use a new email, to use my eBay. I thought this was ok no problem until last month I sold a number of books as I started selling quite a lot of books, so this month 6 days into the month and my PayPal account is over £26 pounds and I am not in work. I was happy at first to get a few sales... Then I noticed and realised every sale they withhold my money up to 3 weeks. Their policy I think it's a joke. So upset. Today I cannot post item. Had them a week or more now! Affected me. Very upset.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I bought two products from eBay. One was IP TV, the product received in used condition and not working. I tried to return it or replace it or even fix it. They got me on touch with third party seller. Refuse to cooperate. Stating it was received by October 19 and I tried to contact them on Nov 23. More than 30 days. Ignoring my request to confirm it is not new as described in their letting and bad non working product. My experience with eBay is very negative. No action taken with people misleading consumers with wrong information selling used products as new. Poor response from eBay is very suspicious.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

In several cases where items were returned damaged by the buyer, eBay continues to find in favor of the buyer by refunding the purchase price! They give no credence to the Seller's position! Even when logic and the evidence supports the seller, they defend the buyer! And many times they don't refund the selling fees to the seller! This is highway robbery! We are talking about 10% or MORE of the selling price!!! So Seller beware! I would NOT recommend you use eBay to sell your products! They pretend to offer seller protection but they DON'T. It is no wonder they are no longer leaders in the reseller marketplace. There are many other options on the internet and apps available for selling your products. Available now and I would recommend these alternative be used. Don't waste your time using eBay. If you don't look at these other options, you will soon live to regret it!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I received the following email from eBay: eBay policy breach: Feedback Extortion. We’ve looked at your eBay account and see that some of your actions do not follow eBay's Feedback Extortion policy. As a result, we've taken the following steps: The following feedback you left has been removed: Using the feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSR) systems in exchange for any of the following isn't allowed:

"Buyer: Forcing a seller to provide goods and services that weren't included in the original item's description. Demanding a return or refund. Seller: Requiring buyers to leave positive feedback or DSR in exchange for receiving the purchased item. Offering monetary compensation or an additional item in exchange for positive feedback or DSR."

What an absolutely disgusting email to send to a loyal customer without even checking with the customer to see what had happened before sending... I have been with eBay for years and have never breached the terms and conditions in all that time. I find the word extortion incredibly contentious, offensive and borderline slanderous. If eBay are referring to the card I purchased (I wouldn't know because they didn't clarify what product they are referring to), it arrived squashed and couldn't be used as it wasn't packaged properly so in turn I left negative feedback. The seller then contacted me to offer a partial refund in return for positive feedback, I agreed. I received the link and it didn't work so I sent a message to him advising him accordingly and he didn't resend it and I totally forgot about it.

I did the right thing. I told the seller that the link didn't work so where did I extort him for money? I didn't. I didn't go to him and say give me the money back. That would have been extortion. If this had of been over a larger amount I would seek legal advice because this is an absolutely disgusting email to receive when I did absolutely NOTHING wrong! I'm so upset, they have made me feel like a criminal and if that is a standard email that they send to everyone who has an issues with refunds and feedback, maybe they should review their wording.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

That's having trouble with my eBay account. I could not pull it up but the gentleman I talked to help straighten my account out was very nice and polite. It took about 15 minutes to figure out that I have my email address wrong and we were able to pull up my account then so I am very pleased customer service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

eBay promises to protect you in your purchases. WRONG! I used eBay for years. Had a 100% rating on sales/purchasing, then I made the mistake of buying a large item "CAR". There is so much confusion (I think intentionally) in customer service it's unreal, you never get the same person and it's always a runaround. I'm out in expenses of $7,000.00 and all eBay is concerned about is their listing fee. I refused to pay and so instead of helping solve my problem, they simply blocked "MY eBAY" use. Suits me, it's been a total nightmare that I will have many years of trying to recoup from.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

On November 29th at around 9:30 -10 AM I tried to purchase an RTI Priest Bullpup Air Rifle listed for sale on eBay for auction and a "Buy It Now" for $900. That item is worth $1600 new and is very rare so the $900 was a great deal. After clicking the buy it now it said the normal warning that I agreed to buy it and when I clicked to pay I received a message saying due to restrictions in my state I could not buy it. I live in Virginia and know that no such restrictions exist. I have purchased Air Guns from Amazon and Air Gun Depot online with no problems so I immediately called eBay. I spoke to six different people at eBay on my first call. Two of them agreed with me that the blocking of my purchase should not be happening. One had me try to make the purchase from my mobile device as each one failed they passed me to different departments.

Finally the last person said, "Mr. ** I will call you back. I want to look into this some more." I had also wrote the seller telling him the problem I was having and he said to me he has sold other Air Rifles on eBay and never had any problems, but he was going to look into also. At 12:05 eBay called me back and said that the problem was the seller can't sell it in his state. I told him that doesn't sound correct to me as I had looked it up and he said I was wrong and that eBay was going to make him take the listing down. I also want to add that he also had 2 other air guns for sale. Later in the day I went back to see if it was down after researching and seeing that the law in Hawaii was the same as in Virginia and became angry when I saw that the item was sold at 12:07 PM, but now to someone else. So I called eBay back to find out why they lied to me and gave me false information.

This time I recorded the call and the representative danced all around then came on and said, "I found the reason Mr. **. It's because we don't allow international sales of Air Rifles." I said the seller is in Hawaii. Once again silence. When he returns he says to me probably the worst thing you can say as a representative of a company, "To be honest we screwed up but there is nothing we can do for you." So am I to take from this you haven't been honest all the other calls and the 2 hrs spent on the phone this morning was waste of my time.

I said that's unacceptable and asked for the record numbers of all my calls and how many people I spoke with and said I was going to look into legal action against eBay. He gave me the number for their legal department and refused to speak any further to me once I said I felt they owed me compensation for their numerous mistakes and lack of knowledge of the firearm laws in both Virginia and Hawaii.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Just so you'll know--eBay keeps money on items you sell for 21 days. First they say they will release it when you hit $250 in sales--then you do and now it's 25 sales too! So you sell a $400 item--you SHIP it --and THEY KEEP THE MONEY FOR ALMOST A MONTH. Any fool knows the use of money IS money--and they are using yours! Also, YOU PAY THEM COMMISSION ON MONEY YOU SPEND ON SHIPPING!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

For some reason eBay changed my account name and the shipping address without my knowledge. Some random address was put in the shipping and when I purchased some things they were routed to an address I'd never heard of. My nickname was also changed to something I would have never done. However, I can't change it back because it is linked to my email. eBay insists they didn't do it and they can't fix it. It cost me extra to have an item rerouted to me and the other the seller just got back. Hours off the phone to eBay simply results in them telling me it was my fault and there is nothing they can do. Obviously it was a computer glitch but they refuse to take any responsibility. They also tried to blame PayPal which was functioning very well.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I placed a bid for a pair of boots, the seller contacted me a few days later to say she had listed the boots as the wrong size and wanted me to cancel my bid, I checked the options and there wasn't one to cancel, so I emailed her back to say I did not have that option. She waited a few days and emailed me again to say the eBay team had told her to contact me and get me to cancel the bid! Again I emailed her to say I did not have that option and she could cancel the item. The sale went through and payment taken and then I received an email stating I would be refunded reason being 'bidder asked to cancel bid'. Fair enough. I then received an email from the seller blaming me for the whole thing! I replied that she always had the option to cancel the item and should have done, Anyway I then received another email which was quite offensive, so I contact eBay.

They stated that the attitude shown by the seller (after reading the email chain) was not acceptable and they would deal with it. Then the seller gave me a positive rating and negative feedback! I gave her negative rating and feedback. When I looked the next day, my feedback had been deleted. So I contacted eBay who told me the seller had asked for my feedback to be deleted and they did, as a courtesy! The order was cancelled by the seller and had nothing to do with eBay and several processes had been bypassed or violated, which they would look into, but because the seller allowed the sale to go through, this sick **, now has my name, address and payment details and there is nothing I can do about it. I had been a member of eBay for years and now have cancel my account. THANK YOU EBAY FOR NONE OF YOUR HELP!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Went to purchase an item off eBay and the eBay bonus bucks were not showing up correctly on my checkout screen. I called eBay and was assured that they would show up correctly after I paid for the item. Of course in typical fashion, they did not show up. I spent an hour on the phone and got nowhere with them. It wasn't about the money but it was the principle. I got 48 cents rather than $4.80. Not a big monetary amount but it is based on principle.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I have ordered EZ Lip car skirting (lip) through eBay on first week of January 2017. Until now I have send around 20 emails regarding this issue to the supplier and eBay. Just 3 or 4 times they have replied but their replies are same as making us fool. What can I do to get my money back? It is almost 11 months now since I paid for this item. Until now no one called me to collect the item or to ask about my location. I am from Abu Dhabi and I have checked with local postal office, but they do not have any idea about such an item. This is a reminder to all not to be cheated anymore by paying for EZ Lip.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

eBay does not have electronic contact, so no proof of what was said. 1st purchase I specifically looked for seller with good reviews and in USA. Items expected in 1-2 weeks. I write them with my purchase said, “See you're in California hope I get it in a week”. No response. Then 2 weeks ago & no product. I view status...coming from China. Sent complaint to seller & eBay said, “Still want items”. No response from either. Wrote again, a month later asking when, where, what's the tracking number. NO RESPONSE AGAIN looked at status now saying by November 17th. Still no product (it's the 24th)... Wrote the seller & tried to email eBay. Only can call, no chat or email so I have a record.

Thru links of this order eBay said. “No refund as it's over 30 days! What? I can't return if damaged, not what was described or for WHATEVER - ASSUMING I EVER GET THEM. My 2nd purchase was last week - two items, two more sellers also checked its good reviews & in USA. Said items would be here on the 21st... Well it's the 24th & not here. No way to contact eBay except by phone, which I read is often non-USA people & I have difficulties with accents. But more importantly I would have NO RECORD of what's being told. I don't know if anyone reads this & can help, if they can contacts me please. But if it's only for others to know my dealings with eBay & guide them ANYWHERE but eBay, that will be a blessing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Received permission from eBay to return an item. Followed their instructions with tracking and waited 1 month for return before contacting eBay. Item was apparently lost and since the seller from some province in China, never received the item, they will not refund my money. Never use eBay for returning without buying insurance. Horrible customer service and they won't protect buyers from overseas sellers.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I am very good about giving great reviews when it's great customer service. But, unfortunately Ebay has really made me do this, I don't understand how a company can have customers who continuously buy from them and when you need them when you have a problem with a purchase, plays games and give you the runaround. I had purchased a product, and yes it wasn't that expensive. But, it was mine and I deserve to get what I pay for. As I was saying, I purchased a product online from a seller on Ebay, it was at my doorstep days early, only to pick it up with it completely open at the top and the merchandise not in it. I immediately called them to see if they could track it and see what to do if something like this happens, which was the first time in many years I had experienced this situation.

They in the beginning said that they would see what happened and resolve my missing purchase, by contacting the seller and having them to send me another one, or issuing a refund. But to no avail they sided with the seller, even afer I found out and informed them, that the seller had used Amazon to sell products that they had, and Amazon told me that they don't advise Ebay sellers to do that, since there is no way to issue me a refund or even help me, that they just use a delivery service and that it would just track it to me, and if it was damaged and the package wasn't taped I would have to talk to Ebay about a refund. I will never shop with them again. Crazy thing about it is, I purchased six other items from all around the U.S that same time, last week and all of them came with a note from the seller thanking me for my purchase and were all taped up and secured and not fulfilled by another company other than who I thought I was purchasing from.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

eBay sells the worst product. I have got some mobile purchases from eBay that their chargers have been spoiled in 2 days. eBay has not changed these and their bill is not valid. Please do not have any service center. Do not buy any products this site. I have not seen anything worse than this, there is a very poor service in eBay, I will never buy anything.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Signed up for an eBay account because I wanted to buy some items with gift cards, and thought that was the only way to do it. 20 minutes later I received an email stating that my account was suspended indefinitely, with no explanation as to why, and no info to contact them about it. After going to the eBay website and through about 10 steps, I finally got to talk to a customer service representative. She gave me the excuse that my account was suspended because a lot of people were signing up and they needed to verify my identity, and wanted me to answer a bunch of personal questions and submit to a background check. I told her no, that I had never encountered anything like this when trying to buy something online, that it was poor practice for them to force people to go through all that, and if it was the way they did business then I didn't ever want to buy or sell anything on eBay.

After she wouldn't stop talking, I hung up. She then called me back and I had to tell her everything all over again, as if she hadn't understood the first time. If eBay wanted to verify my identity, then why didn't they ask me when I signed up? Why didn't they send me an email saying that my account was temporarily suspended until verifying my identity, and give me some way to contact them? Very poor business practice, very poor customer service, ridiculous amount of things to do just to buy something online, very impersonal and invasive, I CHOOSE to be offended.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Spoke to a rep about a return today, as I was talking she said, "We can't talk at the same time." This is because she constantly kept speaking over me as I was trying to explain that I had already reached out to the seller. She was condescending after this and wanted to hurry up and get me off the phone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

A seller advertised 2 bottles of ** for $5.44. Stated someone hacked their site and it was 1 bottle for that price. Now 2 weeks later and bogus site still up under sellers name. Have made calls to eBay 3 times and emailed once about the "fraud", and they have not interceded to take down false ad. I asked to speak to supervisor about issue, but they refused that. They really don't care if fraud is taking place on their website.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I sold a calculator to "Ingrid" but he doesn't know how to use a perfect calculator and returned it to me and refused to repay the shipping cost. eBay could not do anything about it, then where is the eBay's Seller protection plan? eBay, you are a liar.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

eBay's customer service is a joke. Rude staff, long (over 30 minutes) waiting times. Do not offer solutions despite sellers that defraud buyers (not sending items or sending not authentic ones or dont send at all). There are sites you can buy cheaper, and better CSR. eBay is outdated and conducts business that is borderline criminal.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

DON’T TRUST EBAY... Our family purchased a vehicle on eBay 2 weeks before Christmas for 1500.00 that turned out to be fraudulent. We called eBay the same night and someone who BARELY spoke English told us it was our fault and there was NOTHING eBay would do to help us catch these people or refund our money. Our money was SPENT ON EBAY and eBay REFUSED to take that information and HELP us catch these CRIMINALS or even attempt to refund our money even though eBay had ALL the necessary information to do so. We purchased a car for our son for conquering his suicide attempt and graduating high school with a track scholarship to a D2 University and eBay SCREWED US... DON'T TRUST EBAY.

eBay Company Information