2.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Credit Karma

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

80 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I want to know why my credit score on Credit Karma is not the same score when someone else looks up my score. For example you say my score is 667 I applied for a loan and they say it's 605 and it is the same credit bureau, that's a big difference.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I like that Credit Karma gives me my credit score for free. I like that I can find my credit report on this site and not have to pay for it. My husband and I both use the site to monitor any fraud that may develop on our accounts. It is very easy to use. But I don't particularly care for the credit card advertisements on the site. I don't want to go on the site to get a credit card; I want my credit to get better. I get occasional emails, and I try to check my score at least every other month. It helps me monitor for changes or anything fishy on my credit report. I download my credit report once a year to see if everything is correct on my report.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The thing I like best about Credit Karma is that it's a free site. Credit Karma is a good site and I really enjoy using it. My credit is in the toilet but this site does a very good job of telling me that. Credit Karma is quick and it's easy to do. Only took me about five minutes to get my credit score and I feel very comfortable putting my information in and getting my credit score. Everything about Credit Karma is perfect.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The site is very easy to use and the information is accurate and concise. There is a dashboard feature that has very concise information but there are other features such as tips for improving your credit and offers of credit from different companies.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I like the alerts good or bad that they send to let you know that someone is looking at your credit or your rate has changed. I also like the suggestions to help your credit rating, clear understanding of what you are reading. It is very colorful and cool site with graphs and I also was able to my history of all my rates but it would be cool if you could print out your credit report at least once a year to have on file and you could clean up your report. I find it easier to remember things with a print out so that would help out a lot to get that accomplished.

I looked at my report today and I was sent an alert stating that our credit was being check. We were working with our primary banking institution to move a loan from another bank to their facility. When the credit check was done I was immediately sent an email. I could go in and look at what the bank saw as my rate from two of the three major rating companies. And I was able to see what my credit was based on, such as the activity and reporting of all the companies on my report. I could see what each company said about my payments, too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I love Credit Karma once because it's free and also it's an easy website to use that provides useful information. The features that I like about this credit report site is, credit score and being able dispute to have items removed from your report. I also like that it shows where the item came from. I hope they'd improve the advertising for credit cards. Mainly if the person's credit score needs lots of work because sometimes that's how their credit score got so low and I'm an example. Other than that, it updates often every time I log in and I am highly satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Has everything you need. I especially like the credit score and seeing the report on one page and it's nice to have both companies on there to compare to in case you miss something on the first one. Wish it would tell you when things are dropping off or about to fall off so you don't mess anything up. I have called too soon to report something to take off and it started my time all over again. I am very satisfied with this company and what they provide.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

It's free, easy to access and use and the log-in is saved in my computer which makes it very easy! Updated weekly on the same day of the week! It truly gives me something to look forward to doing on Thursdays! It also provides two different credit bureau scores to compare! I am very satisfied with this free service! I couldn't ask for more for something that doesn't cost anything!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Credit Karma is a great credit reporting agency. I like the accuracy and the free service that Credit Karma provide, I like that they do not charge any fees to use their website. This credit reporting website is one of the best out there. They provide quality updates about my credit report which I like very much. My experience using Credit Karma to check my credit report is superb. Their website is simple to use and to navigate on and is worth trying out.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Credit Karma gives what they say they do. You don't have to give credit card information and that is a good feeling. I was able to check my credit score after being turned down for a credit card. This was a great relief. I was able to get something knocked off of my credit rating that was hindering me. I also like the fact that they give you your score for free. That is pretty incredible. Other credit card sites say they are free but you must give them a credit card number before you can access their site. That is very annoying to me.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The Credit Karma website works very well. I check it all the and it gives me accurate information and give me alerts when something changes. It provides me with updates and keeps my informed about my credit bureau and credit rating. Credit Karma is great.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I like the comparison of the 2 reporting agencies side by side and the ability to see who is putting what on my report. And I really like the fact this is provided to me at no cost. I use this site almost every week and I feel empowered being able to stay updated on what is in my report. Also, knowing my score helps make purchasing decisions.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I went to CK site and was prompted to pay a one time REFUNDABLE $1.00 fee and somehow inadvertently was signed w/ ScoreSense, a credit monitoring company for $39.95 a month. The only way I knew that I was signed up for this service was because I received an e-mail from them letting me know about all the great credit services I could take advantage of as a member. I immediately went to the ScoreSense website and could find ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to cancel the account so I had to call. I spent about thirty seconds listening to some idiot tell me that they are absolutely noticeable on the site and she rambled off a half a dozen ways that I probably missed it.

After being sufficiently talked down to and treated like a moron for about another ten seconds I got her to cancel the account. I e-mailed CK and asked them why they would be associated with Score Sense or if they were aware of this third party advertiser and they started asking me if I used aliases or if I had other e-mail addresses under the guise that they needed that information to look into my account. I have since filed a complaint with my State's attorney General's office.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Please don't fall for their free credit report scam... you still got to pay a $1.00 with credit card which you don't realize you're signing up for credit monitoring which then is 19.95 a month. Really people just beware, don't get scammed like I was. I really could go on, but I won't.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

First of all I checked my FICO score on Credit Karma. It was 98 points lower than my actual score. Then I started receiving prepaid credit card offers in the mail. There is no way of contacting Credit Karma to tell them to quit sharing your info. I called one of the prepaid card companies. They got my name from Credit Karma. Now I have to put up with junk that I don't need because my credit is not bad.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Credit Karma's credit reports are a joke. They are not accurate at all. Every week they change your rating up and down by as much as 100 points even if nothing has changed in your financials. I track my credit on many different credit sites. My credit is very good. Other sites are correct and don't change up or down more than 5 points in a month's time. If you pay attention to your credit worthiness they try to make it go down when they think you are going to make a purchase so the merchant can charge you more on interest. It is a game played between Credit Karma and merchants.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

2016 tax year was the first time that I used their tax service and I WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!! I had previously always used TaxAct and NEVER experienced any problems with their service. I will be returning to TaxAct for my 2017 return. Credit Karma's service is free and like everything in this world, you get what you pay for. They made a blatant, gross error in calculating my adjusted gross income and this screwed up both my federal and state returns. For the Adjusted Gross Income, you can make entries on lines 23-35. Then line 36 totals all of the previous lines up. I made ZERO entries in lines 23-35, yet Credit Karma put the amount in line 36 of $3,055.00.

Now, line 36 should have had a zero amount in it because I did not enter anything in lines 23-35 in order to even have a total for line 36. I have contacted Credit Karma to see what they plan on doing about this and I am awaiting their response. Meanwhile, I am receiving notices from both the IRS and Ohio State Income Tax about this error, which was not mine. Now, both my federal and state returns have increased in the amount that I owe which will also increase with penalties, etc. This is a totally unacceptable and gross error on their part. I feel they should have to pay the extra amount that both the federal and state want me to pay now. I AM LIVID WITH CREDIT KARMA AND I WILL NEVER USE THEIR TAX SERVICE AGAIN!!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM, STAY VERY FAR AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

The whole thing seems to be intended for you to buy something from their website to repair your credit. I am a member of Experian, so I get to see my actual Fico scores from all three credit bureaus. My lowest score on any of the three is 757. Credit Karma showed my scores as 659. It was an obvious attempt to get me to purchase something to repair my credit, which did not need repair. I would never trust anything they say as their information does not reflect your true Fico scores.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Ok been a Credit Karma account user for years. Never had a problem. Then I decide I'm gonna start working on repairing my credit. So I start disputing accounts that aren't mine. Big mistake. Not only does it reopen the account for another 7 years. Now almost weekly I'm getting new accounts added to my account that I know aren't mine. Accounts that have been opened for one month, for 58 dollars. 7 dollars 4 dollars. When you give Credit Karma access to your credit report. Don't do it.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have had a good experience with Credit Karma and have enjoyed seeing my score and viewing the factors that attribute to my score and using their simulator to get an idea of how to manage debt. I have applied for credit at a few places for loans, credit card, mortgage and auto loans and have had my credit pulled and when I am told my score, it is consistently 15 to 25 points lower than what Credit Karma indicates. Just an FYI. And many of these credit application reports are using the exact same credit rating agencies that CK uses. I can see why CK does this. Of course as it makes you feel good and more likely to come back and click on credit offers, but I wish it were more accurate. Now I just log in and take the number and subtract 20 and I'm pretty much spot on.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Someone was able to set up a fraudulent account in my name. Months later, (and several CSRs) they STILL have not fixed this. They continue to ask for ID, which I send, and then they stop communication. The responses are very robot like, then all of a sudden I get something that sounds sincere. They start to follow through and abruptly, there is no further contact. One CSR commented that they take security very seriously (he was not able to view the documents I sent to prove my identity) and they said I had not sent the appropriate docs, which of course I did... 4 times now, plus I received confirmation that they had been received. You can't reach anyone by phone. I'm so disgusted - someone can set up a fraudulent account in 30 seconds, and yet they refuse to accept that I am the real person.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Went to check on my tax refund only to find out they never sent it in, even though I went through to the end, got the pin numbers and the PDF download. Hopefully the IRS will not penalize me, since I have a refund coming, but the PA one might be another story... Sounds like I am not the only one either. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE!!! BBB also has rated this scam agency poorly. I will now be trying to get them to expunge my personal data from their systems.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I went to the bank thinking that the credit score that Credit Karma gave me was accurate and the bank let me see the screen of the score. They pulled up and it was 15 points less than Karma had. I hope this post helps people.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have been getting email after email from Credit Karma saying, "Apply for the Blue American Express card and your chances are very good!!!" Really I don't think soooo... applied and got shot down with a credit TransUnion credit score of 709 and Equifax score of 703. I make 90k a year and my credit score is good. Karma do me a favor. Don't play with my emotions harassing me to apply knowing I have zero chances!!! Don't lieeee you turd burglar.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Everyone has heard Credit Karma is free... well yes they are. Yippee. Does anyone tell you that they advertise several credit card companies designed to help we the consumer build our credit back up? Isn't that what they advertise to help us the consumers even if we have bad credit? They (Credit Karma) don't know who will be denied but they fail to mention that every time you are denied it also brings your credit rating score DOWN... so tell me how helpful are they again? To me I feel cheated by this false advertising of credit cards that are supposed to be designed to make my credit score go UP when in fact it has created a negative effect on my score and these are credit card companies that are RECOMMENDED by Credit Karma themselves by their own admission. FALSE ADVERTISING...

Original review: June 6, 2017

Thought I would try Credit Karma since they offered filing taxes free of charge... Learned that you really do get what you pay for. Although I am at the beginning of this process, after reading other reviews, it sounds like I'm screwed but I'll go down kicking. They had nerve to say I didn't file with them....but I can log in, see my account, see my refund, see the banking info I entered and PIN I set up.... I see everything including all of the tax form info. Why would I lie about a REFUND???

Original review: June 5, 2017

Their credit service is fine, easy, always up to date. However, their tax service screwed me like many others. They didn't submit my bank account info so my refund is just floating in space somewhere. No one taking responsibility for it. That's what's really the problem with this company--their customer service. They are not available via phone (RED FLAG) so you just get these emails with pre-written responses that never answer your question. Also if you file and owe, there is no option to pay out of your return. I didn't realize this and had the State calling me which just freaked me out. Never happened with other tax services. Overall I would never recommend someone file taxes with someone that cannot assist you with any questions.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Like other folks who had trouble getting their taxes submitted, I had issues in getting my taxes submitted. Whatever the reason, the online screen would not recognize the adjusted gross income from the previous year. I sent email after email. I got a panned email response with countless "how did we do" surveys. I finally had to send in my returns via snail mail. I then filed a complaint with the FCC. Credit Karma is useless!!!

Original review: June 2, 2017

The service is a sham. They say the service is for people to fix their credit and which I was doing. I eventually applied for a refinance and did not qualify because my CK score was 701 but my score the mortgage company uses was 578. I wish we could go back to where we were when we only used one score. This vantage score that no one uses except Capital One is absolute nonsense. What a way to get over on consumers.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I completed my taxes about 4 days before the income tax deadline and was feeling good about my choice to use Credit Karma Tax until yesterday when I was wondering where my tax return was... I went to my Credit Karma Tax page and searched around to see if I could find a way to track my return, but found it very confusing. I decided to email customer service and find out what to do to track my tax return and received this email:

"Your request has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email. It appears that your tax return has not yet been submitted for e-file through Credit Karma Tax. If you still need to make changes to your tax return, please log back in to make any changes. You can check the status of your return by reviewing the refund status page. Please let me know if you need anything else."

So... That's it? No "Sorry Mr. ** for any inconvenience this may cause?" No "We'll get right on it and rectify the situation?" I've never once had a problem finishing and emailing ANY important documents in my whole life! Now. All of a sudden I can't complete my taxes and send them out? That's screwed up! So now my taxes are 2 months late! Instead of getting a check I'm going to be penalized! There was no warning telling me my taxes were not emailed? What do I do now? How do I reply and submit this mistake to the tax board and the IRS? What do I need to do to send in my taxes and what explanation ie the IRS going to understand and accept? This could easily become a BIG PROBLEM in the coming tax season! Thanks Credit Karma for putting me on the Tax Man's Radar and IRONICALLY, possibly ruining my credit!

Credit Karma Company Information