2.95/5
Based on 194 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 22, 2018

237 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I'd like to be clear; I don't know if there are pretenders, but www.creditkarma.com is the best thing that will ever happen to you! They changed my life to advice on moving credit card accounts to loans to how to keep my balances low and improve my credit score every month! I save over $600 a month on their recommendations and they keep doing it every month! They charge you NOTHING... ZERO dollars but will save you money no matter how bad your situation is right now and you will quickly see results!

I recommend them to people all of the time because they are the best thing to happen to our country since the Consumer Protection Administration was founded, but Credit Karma will do WAY more for you! They say that there is "no free lunch", but I have never encountered a more professional and effective company in my life that improved my credit rating and my life like Credit Karma! You're really missing out if you don't join them!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Credit Karma was great until I couldn't log in to my account and view my taxes! I decided last year to use Credit Karma taxes since I loved the app and helped me resolve some discrepancies on my credit report. However they require a passcode that is sent to your phone to log in. Well I have a new phone with a new number! I am not able to log in to my account because it keeps sending a passcode to a phone no longer in service.

Yes I tried connecting my old phone to wifi but I do not receive messages and even if I log in to the app there is no selection where I can change my settings for my phone number! It does not allow me to edit my account through security questions and it does not have a place to select verification via email only passcode. This is a HUGE FLAW in Credit Karma and has caused me nothing but stress and hours trying to figure out what I can do. I have reached out to Credit Karma through calling their customer service which is all automatic messages and I have email them as well and NOTHING! I don't know what to do.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Free tax returns - Credit Karma has the WORST tax preparation software. The word SLOW can't even describe this tax preparation site. It's extremely hard to navigate, slow & don't even try to edit any mistakes. All I got from this tax service was a nasty migraine headache. I will NEVER use this service again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Unlike most free tax preparation software, CK purports to support a long list of IRS forms. The problem is they don't support some of these forms correctly. Last year, Credit Karma was prepared to file my return with a form 8283 (Noncash Charitable Contributions) that needed to be signed by an appraiser. It was, of course, not signed, but they were ready to submit. I had to get the form signed and download the other forms and mail my return in. This year, CK entered on my Schedule A Itemized Deductions form a charitable donation amount that exceeded 50% of my AGI. This is against IRS rules. This amount should have been adjusted to 50%, and the rest of the donation should have been carried over.

Its menu says you can enter the sale of land in your Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses form, yet it provides no screens into which to enter that data. The downloadable PDF version of forms does not reflect what they actually send to the IRS. You have no way of checking what it really sent to the IRS without seeing forms. I was, however, able to download the forms CK did generate without having hit Submit.

Bad forms: It generated only one 8949 form when I needed 3 because of 3 different types of dispositions. The version of form 4562 it generates does not include the miles-driven information for a truck used on a farm. If they're not going to process forms correctly, they should not claim to support them. I ended up doing my taxes manually and mailing them in.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This was a 4 1/2 hour nightmare this year, so NEVER AGAIN! It kept coming up with errors and it's click-on box saying, "FIX ERROR", only took you to a brief description of the category WITHOUT LETTING YOU EDIT IT and the error was by Credit Karma not me! This Error kept showing up, that I had to re-fix FIVE TIMES!! ---> Self Employment or Side-gigs<--- and THEY Pre-select boxes (check them off) that should NEVER be pre-selected, like Statutory Employee and Sick Pay. ALSO they had my School district WRONG AND CITY WRONG!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: April 14, 2018

Free, my butt. They charged us $39.95 twice, for which we never received any paper or electronic bill. Look for Scoresense on your bank statements. They declined to refund our money stating that it was "requested after your communicated billing date." There was absolutely NO communication, period. No, it's not free, as they claim. False advertising. So, Credit Karma, if you refund the $79.90 that you defrauded from us, I'll consider having this review taken down.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The tax prep site is difficult to navigate if using 1040 form w/ deductions. After 14hrs it accepts then tells you to come back later. Won't let you see tax form & must e-file before you can look at 1040. I tried to get chat rm to respond. No luck. Computer generated responses. Very frustrating experience. However the 2016 program was a much easier to navigate. That's why I went back. Not again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The service is horrible. Not only are the recommendations wrong and actually damaging to your credit, but the customer service staff is totally unhelpful. I warn anyone not to register with this service. It is just a sales vehicle for credit card companies and a predator of people who register on the site. The brand promise of the company is completely undermined the moment you see that all they want you to do is sign up for more loans and credit cards.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I got married in 2016 July. I try to update my information. My new name is Helen **. It keeps on saying I'm Helen **. There is stuff with the ** name on my credit report. I might cancel looking at Credit Karma. Please I want my right name. It's been almost 2 years.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have tried for months to reset my password. Every time I try it brings me in a circle. I follow the instructions and after I did it, it brings me to the beginning again to do it all over again. I’ve done this probably 30 times. I’ve tried to call. I’ve emailed. I’ve done everything just asking for someone to try and help me. They’ve ignored me every time. I don’t know how they make their money but they certainly aren’t interested in keeping customers. All I’ve done is ask for help when the instructions they gave me didn’t work to reset my password. And I’ve tried over 39 times on different days for 2 months. Great customer service. Thanks Credit Karma. You ask questions on the site if the information you have is wrong. Why bother if you’re not going to follow up. This tells me you don’t care. Thanks again.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've always used Turbo in the past. And there was always a fee for Federal and State. Last year I used Credit Karma with no fees at all. I did a trial on TurboTax and then went to Credit Karma to make sure it came up with the same numbers as TurboTax, and it did so I knew that Credit Karma was correct. So I filed with Credit Karma for free for both Fed and State. Submitted my filings and 4 weeks later received my refund into my direct deposit bank account. They walk you through the online process and it was so easy. I am using them again this year.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I did a dispute with them. It was to be final on 3-21-18 more than 2 weeks ago. I called TransUnion and this was completed before that date but today is 4-3-18 and it still is not updated. We are trying to fix our credit but Credit Karma will hold you back. Seems they have a ton of junk mail sent to you. Seems the more I check my credit with them the more junk mail I receive.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Since signing up, I went from NO credit card offers by mail over 20 a month with one saying I was pre-approved but then turned down. Then paid for FICO based on Transunion. Credit Karma has my Vantage score at 758, actual FICO is 638 for Transunion! They also constantly recommend opening a new line of credit which will defiantly hurt my score and I've already been turned down by their recommendation, so now they are recommending at twice the rate!

Original review: March 30, 2018

My email changed and it's impossible to change it online. I followed their instructions and it doesn't work. Their customer service (sic) was of no help. They wanted me to fill out a detail form and mail it to them. Don't trust them with your data.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Just my opinion about Credit Karma. Even though the website may seem like it is free I was suckered into getting a credit card with an annual fee through their site which I was not aware of until card came in the mail!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I like the credit simulator and recommendations from Credit Karma. It helps me to see what I need to change and how it will affect me and also what cards or programs I would be able to qualify for that could also help me. I have been able to increase my site by utilizing the site but sometimes I worry about the accuracy of my score because of the lack of updates. When I decided to check my score to purchase a home, I noticed that my score was slightly higher. I hope that they update scores more frequently so I can see a more accurate representation of what my score really is. But I'm not sure if that's an issue with the site or the credit bureaus.

Original review: March 28, 2018

It was easy to use and provided quick results, but I have seen other credit reports that are more detailed than Credit Karma. As far as features go, it was very basic and didn't offer a wide variety of features. I was expecting more than what I got. They could provide more further information or details on the report. Still, I was satisfied with the overall outcome and product.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I like this site. It is helpful, easy to navigate and has great tips for improving credit score. Also provides periodic updates on score which is useful. The tips are one of the best features but specific tips regarding credit issues are also helpful and I wish there were links to credit education. Budget and finance info and links would be great information. And also, having better security features would be an improvement to reassure members that their information is safe and private.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I signed up with Credit Karma and it was super easy. I like that it's simple to use, and they use great, easy to read colors and you can see recommended credit cards and get tips about how to improve your score. I had to provide a ton of personal information, but I was ok with that. I had a hard time coming up with a password that met their requirements, but otherwise everything was quite enjoyable. I remain very satisfied with how the website works. Sometimes their recommended cards don't approve me but that's not Credit Karma's fault.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I like that Credit Karma is accurate and easy to use. The information they needed was self-explanatory and I was able to complete without any issues. I really don't like giving information on a website because I am always afraid of being hacked and my information being distributed to the wrong people. You can never really be sure that you are 100% secure but I feel that they will keep my information safe and I will not have to worry about my information being found on the web. I would recommend them if anyone ever asked me to.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Credit Karma's tax preparation site is the worse I've ever used. I usually use TaxSlayer but thought I'd save some money and redid my taxes this year using Credit Karma. It was a horrible experience and I gave up. I couldn't find where to enter basic information like the taxable portion of SSI or where to enter taxable interest. Trying to use their chat help was a nightmare. It was very slow to respond to typing and dropped a lot of the letters I typed. Once I did get my question typed in, the support team was unable to answer my questions or didn't answer the question asked. It may be free, but my time is worth more than to me than the money I'd save by using their site. If I didn't know how to do my taxes, I wouldn't have any confidence that they were done correctly. For my money, I'm returning to TaxSlayer whom I've been satisfied with for years.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This site is very useful. The information and tips from Credit Karma were great. The information is detailed and I liked that it gave me advice on what to work on. The charts with percentages were easy to read and understand. It is also helpful that you can request to dispute something directly from the site. However the ease of use needs a little help. I do not care to have extra windows open but jumping between pages is just a personal dislike.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The system was easy to use, get my results and everything I needed was right there in one spot. I thought it was great that I could continue to get updates on my credit rating through email and I liked that I could submit disputes if I found anything wrong on my credit report. My experience was positive. And I was so thankful that the experience was free.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Credit Karma guarantee no leaking of personal information and the information provided appears accurate. It is easy to set up an account, use and gain access. It offers suggestions for help if needed. Overall, I am happy.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Credit Karma doesn't ask for credit card information. Also, it is a mainstream credit report site with a good reputation I felt I could trust. However, it is risky anytime you input personal information. So they could try to make people feel safer using it. Other than that, it did not take very long to receive my credit report after I entered my information. It was an easy site to navigate, directions were clear, they didn't send me spam after using it.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I went to the site hoping to find my credit score to see if I could get a car loan. I like that it provided my credit score, opportunities to bring my credit score and my chances for getting approved for a credit card. In addition, it showed me what my positive hits were as well as what my negative hits were. However, when I went to get approved for a car loan I was surprised to find out that my score was a lot lower than the site told me. Also, I would like for it to be more user friendly. To get to the information I want I have to make too many clicks. And, my bank needed my FICO score which the site did not provide.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I like Credit Karma because it doesn't lower your score, it also tells you what you could do to help you get a better score which is very helpful for me. I wish the score would be more accurate. I would rather not use another site to check the accuracy and have my score lowered because of this, it also needs to be updated more often since I followed the advice the website showed me and after I fixed the problem it still showed up 2 days later. Overall, I would describe it as decent and I hope the website continues to improve its feature so my experience will be more enjoyable.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I have an 836 credit score and pay huge sums of money every month. I just paid off a car loan and I own 3 cars. I paid off one car 2 years early. My credit score fell. I make about $5000 a month and keep my bills to a minimum. I have over $30,000 in credit cards and keep them less than 20% owed. I own a house that has over $50,000 in equity. I am retired and shop cheap all the time. Credit Karma keeps trying to sell me credit cards. I have enough of them but they keep dropping my score. They are not worth the low score to me.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Ignore their odds on credit card approvals. Useless. I just opened an account. Score info was helpful. Then I check on credit cards for a possible transfer. Three options. Two were 'fair' and one was 'good'. So I applied to that one. Thirty seconds later... That noise is my score coming down. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I've never had an issue with filing my taxes until I used Credit Karma last year. All of a sudden I'm receiving a CP2000 from the IRS. My income is correct, but apparently Credit Karma did not separate my tax from my self-employment tax. When I tried to reach out to Credit Karma tax to see if they were correct or if the IRS was correct (I am not a tax professional hence why I go through online tax prep) all the guy said was that they are not tax professionals so they couldn't help me. Very unprofessional way to handle business, especially since I'm reporting a problem, and instead of looking into it they brush it off to other companies to deal with. If you are not a tax professional, why are you offering tax prep? I 100% urge everyone to not use Credit Karma for their taxes. Use someone more reputable that will have someone to answer your questions if something turns up wrong.

Credit Karma Company Information