3.03/5

377 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Gave me poor advice and guidance to do an extension and got me in trouble with Ca tax board - then not only took no responsibility for what happened, but were rude, demeaning, disrespectful and smarmy nonchalant when I asked them to help me correct it. I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM.

Original review: April 21, 2019

It's a joke when it comes to your FICO score. It is completely inaccurate. The only thing to use it for is looking at your report. And it notifies you if anything changes in regards to new accounts or inquiries.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

For last 6mo if using creditkarma.com service my score was 650. I have a new credit since recently started to use an auto loan first time in my life. For 16mo my score from 622 raised to 650. Wow. Not fast I thought, since paying on time. And I trade in my car yesterday and bought another car.. dealer shows me my score in 705!!!!! Thank you Credit Karma I will never be wasting my time on you or your credit card recommendations. I'd rather will check my FICO and free score check once a year. You don't deserve 1 star I rated you!

Original review: April 18, 2019

It was a overall good experience with WES. I recommend WES to my colleagues/relatives and other aspirants for PR/Student visa for US and CANADA. WES all services/application and process is good and user friendly.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I too received a troubling email from Credit Karma implying my online security, identities and possibly accounts had been breached. Like Valeri of Rockford, IL, I contacted Credit Karma after a thoroughly frustrating and unsuccessful effort to follow their instructions to 'review' these reports on their site. Credit Karma's site was more trouble than it was worth, with big emphasis on cute graphics and link after link of nothing related to the problems they alluded to in their original email to me. Today, nine days after I sent my request for help, I received a 'How to' which brought me to the page I already saw, that caused my concern in the first place. Online security should be easier to initiate with clear guidelines of what to do. Credit Karma's approach is more of a narrative and seems to try and point to their own importance in this ongoing problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: April 7, 2019

I have been using Credit Karma for many years, just to keep track of my credit scores. They have been consistently accurate and consistent with ratings issued by credit services, which figures since Credit Karma does not "create" your credit scores, they simply report scores from two of the credit services. This year, I used their tax filing service. Our returns are fairly simple now (retired), so I was able to complete the federal forms in about an hour or so, and the system did our state returns automatically. I filed on a Tuesday, received confirmation that our returns had been accepted on Wednesday, and had both payments, federal and state, in the bank within two weeks. Simple, free and accurate. Note: I receive no advertising from them as I opted out of that. When you go online with them they advertise various credit cards, but that's "take it or leave it". That's how they make their money, but it does not commit you to anything.

Original review: April 5, 2019

They had personal loans area that claims it does not affect your credit score. Out of curiosity I looked at the offers. I NEVER APPLIED FOR ANY OF THEM. 4 hours later I get an email from Regions by Avant that I have been turned down for the loan I DID NOT APPLY FOR. The bank's response was to send me an identity theft form. That is total bs. No one stole my identity, this was done through the Credit Karma lie. If someone had tried to steal my identity and take out a loan they would not have used my email and home address. DO NOT TRUST CREDIT KARMA. THEY WILL LIE AND RIP YOU OFF. And yes when their actions lower your credit score with a hard inquiry you did not give them permission to make they not only ripped you off they Credit Karma stole your identity! FILING COMPLAINTS ON BOTH OF THEM EVERYWHERE I CAN. And contacting an attorney.

Original review: April 5, 2019

The information is always correct and accurate in a timely manner, I've been so pleased at the information and professional website that Credit Karma has. It has been very secure for me to truly trust with my personal information and even alerting me when I was logging in through a different device to confirm that it was indeed me. I've also recommended it to close friends and family. Thank you for taking the time to read this and please do try Credit Karma. You will be pleased.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I've never done one of these before, but after multiple ridiculous discrepancies, I googled "issues with Credit Karma" and found myself here. I signed up for Credit Karma a few years ago because I wanted a free service to keep track of my scores. I've always had high credit scores, so I was appalled at how long my scores were and I worked really hard to try to get them back up by lowering balances and hopefully lowering my debt to income ratio. I hadn't had my credit run in a long time, and I trusted that Credit Karma was accurate in their numbers, so I saw no reason to independently check the scores myself.

I'd just seen it on Credit Karma and it was very low, so when we went in to try to refinance our house, I asked if my credit was going to be a problem. They asked what the score was and I told them. They asked if I'd ever missed a payment and I said no. They said it seemed unusually low for someone who has never missed a payment - even with a high debt to income ratio. My score was more in line with someone who opens and closes cards constantly, rarely makes payments on time, has very limited income, poor credit history, etc. That doesn't describe me at all so I was concerned that maybe my identity had been stolen. The bank said to wait and let them run my credit for a more detailed score.

I received my score from the bank a couple days later and it was almost 100 points HIGHER than my highest Credit Karma score. I logged in to get my own "one free credit report per year" from the big agencies - including the 2 Credit Karma claims they include, and my scores were in line with what the bank had said. One had gone up since then by 30 points because my balance went down by $1000. Credit Karma, in that same time frame, reflected a 10 point drop - from the same credit agency.

I know that Credit Karma has access to my balances and accounts, and I don't think they're scamming people or anything like that, but I do not know where they get their score information from. I have since asked a couple friends and my parents to check theirs, and they had similar experiences. My parents have near perfect credit, and Credit Karma had them in the low 700s. I just have no idea where CK is actually pulling their data from. It's supposed to be your Transunion and Experian scores (I believe), but they're so far off. It's almost like they're guessing what Transunion and Experian would give you for a score without having any actual information to back it up.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I received a troubling email saying I needed to change passwords. I was suspicious but did it anyway for one account. I have emailed them for DAYS as to what this was about and they haven't BOTHERED TO RESPOND. What a joke company. I would hate to depend on them for real monitoring. You get what you pay for... This was free and is worthless to me.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I downloaded their app and tried to sign up for their service. I put my email address in and it says there is already an account using that email. I don’t remember ever even trying to sign up for their service before. But I tried to log in anyway. I used the change my password option because I don’t know what it is because I never signed up for their service before as far as I remember. Then I tried to register my fingerprint and making up a passcode. It just says none of my information matches what’s on record so I can’t get into my account. It says to contact them at an email address they provide. I looked for a contact phone number but there isn't one. It's been a week and still no reply. Any company that doesn't have a number to call for help with problems has bad customer service.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I'm POA for 97 yr old mother in law. Name is Mary **. Her stolen SOC SEC number was used to create Credit Karma account. I WANT FAKE ACCOUNT DELETED. The valid, legal account is under this phone number. I will give more info privately. I've emailed, texted and no response. How do I achieve this. And why isn't there a report a problem link. This is serious. No safeguards. It's way too easy to get someone's personal information through Credit Karma. This is awful. Help me someone. This crazy person with fake account is causing family trauma to 97 yr old.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Yesterday 3/18/19 Credit Karma shows that my scores dropped by 38 points even though my balances decreased by $152. They falsely reported that negative remarks were added to my accounts. After calling Equifax and TransUnion upset and making a fool out of myself - I was advised to no longer rely on Credit Karma because that information was completely wrong and my scores did not decrease, and I had no negative remarks on my file. I understand that this is a free service, but why give wrong information - whats the point of adding things that are not true? The service is supposed to help people not hurt and upset them.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Works same as TurboTax and other software companies that you pay for and pay state efile for, but free for everyone including free efile. Simply answer the questions. Guided or choose what you want to work on from a list.

Original review: March 18, 2019

AWFUL! Yesterday my credit score was 756- LOL! Today it's 605... Said my mortgage increased by $1175.00 - Actually it decreased. They also have a car loan on there that was closed over 2 years ago. They show me with 11 credit accounts. Which I only have 3 - the other eight have been closed for years!!! This company should be banned/dissolved for FALSE reporting schemes... If you are smart, don't give them any of your information. I wasn't. I look at these idiots and laugh. Don't get sucked in. It's not worth the frustration.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Requires user familiarity with tax forms required, particularly the R-1099. That form is not easily available to a user, but requires the user to know they will need one or more, and then to do a search on the tax software to locate the places in which to input their individual income data. It took me some additional time to figure that out, and to edit data I had already input, then re-enter the data in the proper format on the correct input page. The new tax deductions eliminated my having to itemize which is a huge blessing! The state portion was pre-filled by the federal data already input, so that also was a great time saver.

The payment section was very transparent and easy to use as well. My refund was deposited today, 02-28-2019, which is about 2 weeks after filing - AMAZING! All in all the Credit Karma version of tax returns is average when compare to major others such as TurboTax, and the price of the application is FREE! Now having the experience of using Credit Karma tax preparation will make next year's filing significantly more convenient... That is, unless the government (Democrats) gut the current law.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Yesterday March 15, 2019 I sent an email to Credit Karma requesting an answer as to why and how my credit score with them is way higher than my actual score with TransUnion. Still waiting. Here is a quote from another reviewer "They don't provide you with a FICO credit score. They provide a TransUnion TransRisk credit score." Credit Karma's scoring is totally useless.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Be aware that CK derives their revenue from lenders. I have hard credit pulls on my credit report as a result of clicking on Credit Karma's "don't worry, this won't affect your credit" links to various lenders. Extremely misleading practices like this are counterproductive for credit rating improvement, to say the least. The bottom line is that Credit Karma's "free" service is anything BUT that, due to its effect on my credit score.

Original review: March 14, 2019

After finishing my federal return, I cannot log back in to print it out. CK is supposed to call my phone with a verification code but I never get the call. There is no way to speak with customer service by phone, as no number is listed. All I could do was email customer service and get dumb answers back which had nothing to do with the problem. Never again.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Signed up, gave them personal info and now I can't sign in. Tells me that my email or password are incorrect. Reset my password multiple times and it still won't let me sign in, giving me the same message. Makes me kind of nervous that they have my personal info now to be honest. Wish I had read these reviews first.

Original review: March 14, 2019

They provide false information based upon a 2-12 month queue. I have seen this for myself on CCs, to homes lone etc. They update when they feel the need to do so. Not what the real active credit scores are. One account still shows that I am in debt on a CC $700+ when actually 6 months later it was $56 in debt not what they were showing. The house I can understand and car as well which I am up on. And have been for over a year now. Went from the 700s to now 550 o 650+. The company who states that this is your credit score when it is not by far when I bought the home over a year ago. My cred was showing 740+ when pulled it was 850 from the real world. Karma, you will get yours in a class action.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I’m just shocked at how “off” Credit Karma is on the accuracy of our scores. No one uses the vantage score technology that Credit Karma uses. You’d be better off going to myFICO if you really want your true credit score that lenders actually use. Oh and also, car lenders and mortgage companies hate Credit Karma because their scores are so off from real scores.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had some credit issues a couple years ago and was working very hard to bring my credit up. I installed Credit Karma on my phone to monitor my credit activity. I put a freeze on my credit reports. On Credit Karma, my scores increased and continued to increase. I was very proud of myself and the hard work I put in to build my credit so I could buy a house. When I went to the mortgage lenders, I told them my credit score from Credit Karma. BUT WHEN THEY RAN MY CREDIT MY SCORE WAS 100 POINTS LOWER THAN ON CREDIT KARMA. Not a small change, but a substantial one that significantly impacted my rate. I was devastated! Needless to say, if you are simply monitoring your credit for new accounts being opened, accounts going to collections, or accounts being closed, it's ok. But DO NOT trust the score on Credit Karma.

Original review: March 12, 2019

This is for all you 3-star-review readers who look to these for some balanced reviews. As of March 12, 2019, I read all the reviews 'cause a friend of mine warned me against Credit Karma. Here's what I found. The vast majority of 1 and 2 star reviews have the same style of writing, sentence structure and paragraph structure. I give "them" credit 'cause they are all good grammar, no misspellings (like that!), begin with a short pithy declarative sentence, have two paragraphs of about the same length, and end the 2nd paragraph with a similarly expressed statement of their disgust with CK.

I also found this suspect -- many were submitted once a day, one day right after the other. What's more, none of them repeat the same complaint as you might expect of a business with some standout problems. Instead, they combine to trash every aspect of Credit Karma's services across the board and they assume a rather similarly sophisticated understanding of each product that I wouldn't expect typical reviewers to express (sorry if that insults you (us) typical reviewers).

In all fairness, many of the 5 stars tend to be similar as well but there aren't many of them to compare. SO, I don't have an axe in this fight other than to say I did file my 2018 taxes with CK, which included reporting dividends, capital gains (from only 1 source not a bunch) and it was easily a 4 or 5 star experience. Now I don't know how it will turn out but I will, soon.

I wrote this mostly 'cause I want to believe CK, since it is free, can be trusted to do a good job and I hope it can be. Plus, it angers me that a free service would be beat up by the much pricier big boys. Plus I wanted to see what impact writing a review about the reviews might have. I will close on a final note. Most of the 1 and 2 star reviews rarely if ever reveal any of the reviewer's own egos using lots of "I" statements, which for example, mine clearly does. Perhaps another reason to distrust them.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I completed my federal refund and submitted it. No problem. Had to wait weeks and weeks for my state to be accepting tax forms from Credit Karma. Finally, I got my state taxes completed. However, the refund was considerably smaller than I'd anticipated. I checked the PDF of my 2017 taxes from TurboTax and the PDF of my 2018 taxes from Credit Karma, and I noticed that CK only had me fill out one form for state taxes! On my 2017 return, there were forms on there that said I was required to file them each year, and Credit Karma wasn't going to have me do so.

I decided to chat with their help desk. The first person was incredibly unhelpful and when I asked about it she literally copy and pasted a huge chunk of text that was a run-on list of ALL the tax forms that Credit Karma supports and then abruptly ended our session. I was floored. The next person was much kinder and informed me that Credit Karma doesn't support the tax forms that I'm *required* to file.

Next step- redo my taxes with TurboTax. And wow- both my federal AND my state return went up by a few hundred bucks. Worth the fees of TurboTax- I still walk away with more money in my pocket. It stinks that I have to amend my federal return, but in the end I walk away with more money. Love Credit Karma for watching my credit score; never ever use their tax filing again!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Credit Karma provided suggestions on how to lower my mortgage payment, one of them a 15 year fixed rate mortgage through Chase. Interest rate at 3.62%, no fees, and fixed payment, so I applied directly through Credit Karma. I received a call from Chase, and provided my credit score so they could hold off on doing a hard check. My offer came back at 3.8%, a mortgage payment $300 more than Credit Karma suggested, and fees of almost $2500! When I told Chase about the offer specifically through Credit Karma, I was put on hold, the reply was that that rate/mortgage offer does not exist. I am glad they did not pull my credit report! Thanks a lot Credit Karma, for nothing!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Decided to try filing w/ Credit Karma. What a mess! Kept trying to give me a $12k refund when should've been $1600 & the EIC when we don't qualify. No way to delete the tax form and create a new one. Even tried deleting the data & re-entering but the same bad data kept coming back over and over again. Tried reaching out to the company to ask about resetting/deleting my tax form but gave up after spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to find it. Just kept getting rerouted to their "FAQ'S". Finally just went w/ an online filing company that charges but it was well worth the fees to have the peace of mind that everything was filed correctly. I've done our taxes for years so I have the experience to know when a blatant error is coming up. I feel for anyone who doesn't have such experience and then risks filing through Credit Karma.

Original review: March 8, 2019

So I filed my taxes through Credit Karma and thw it's took my 9740 $ refund for offset school loans the whole entire thing. ** CREDIT KARMA. I will let every know how they decide you asholda es. I hate them so much ruined my life.

Original review: March 8, 2019

It's free. It's simple to use. It just works. Unless your tax situation is complicated an online provider like Credit Karma can streamline the process and has an impressive knowledge base.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I was told by a lender that the amount I owed on various cards lowered my credit score, and Credit Karma could tell me how to raise my score. Credit Karma's idea was to send me offers for over a dozen different credit cards, most of them wanting annual fees. I owe too much so I should spend more? None of the offers included balance transfers, which would only consolidate debt anyway, not lower it. Thanks loads. This is just a way for advertisers to collect data, don't waste your time.

Credit Karma Company Information