3.12/5
Based on 226 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

289 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using Credit Karma for a couple years and during that time I have had a couple different cell phone numbers. I have been able to get logged into my account but cannot view my tax records. I try to click onto my tax account and am blocked because I am accessing my account from an unknown address. I appreciate that but they have my old phone number on file with NO way to update it. I went through the whole process of updating my cell number, selecting that I did not have access to the old one, uploading photos of my license, only to be redirected to the beginning of the mad race and be instructed to go through the process of uploading again. I have had issues with them before but this is the most frustrating because I NEED those documents and they are technically MINE!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just un-joined Credit Karma, after more than 5 years as a member. When I first signed up it was rather unique in being a free service that gave alerts when some company checked your credit. But over the years, I have accumulated other services that give the same free alerts and credit scores. Some are through credit cards, others are just because a company had a security breach, and they provide a free monitoring service to everyone who had their information part of the breach. Then in the last few months, Credit Karma starting ignoring their own policies about sending me email. Even though I always had the box that says "Email Me Relevant offers" turned off, I started getting all kinds of useless crap about getting loans etc. And they refuse to turn those off. So it’s gone from something that was useful to something that is an annoyance. So I left.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Within 1 month my CK score has gone from 674 to 620 to 617 to 660 to 622. Absolutely nothing has changed to cause this fluctuation. I know CK is not accurate and that banks use completely different formulas, but this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Credit Karma, credit sesame etc are only click sites to sell credit cards. The scores are nowhere near anything a lender requires. 3 larger banks told me this when applying for a mortgage. Garbage, bs. etc. Discover is claiming to give you a FICO score. 100% not true bogus numbers. Then they recommend another credit card to buy. I have 2 secured card, only 200 bucks each 3 weeks old no payment due, my score dropped 80 points lol. Although they say you need cards to increase your score. These scammers need to be shut down.

Original review: July 1, 2018

It is troubling to know that a business such as Credit Karma, which has access to your personal information, yet does not have live customer service. The number on their "Contact us" is not in service, leaving you to have to print a form and mail it to get resolution to urgent matters or concerns such as access to your tax info, or addressing account login issue. Being that it is accessed via internet shouldn't the FCC standards apply to them when handling customer concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: June 24, 2018

APP Doesn't Work. Verification failed repeatedly. I'm a native US citizen with no criminal record, good credit, and valid ID. Credit Karma wasted an hour of my time and does not work. It was unable to validate my ID. Don't waste your time. Use a different service.

Original review: June 13, 2018

This Credit Karma is total crap. They say they don't ask for my credit card to get my score, lol. That's exactly what it did and when I didn't give it, I didn't get my "free" score, what a misrepresentation if I ever saw one.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Get the monthly emails like everyone else. Says my score was 760's. Actual score when getting credit run... 705. Talked to 2 guys when house shopping and they said they said this is fairly common. Knock off around 40-50 points and you'll be closer to your actual score.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Everything is easy to use and understand at Credit Karma. I like that they email me and provide updates on my credit score. I also like that I can see basically anything I want to via Credit Karma website. It is absolutely convenient and I enjoy using this website.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My overall experience with Credit Karma has exceeded my expectations. This site is well thought out and provides me with all the information I need. I find the information on their site to be useful and the monitoring of my credit helps me to be proactive in looking for credit issues. I am very happy with the information I receive. Updated and accurate credit report for free as well as suggestions for ways to improve your credit rating, credit card offers based on your rating, and general information about what the different parts of your credit rating mean.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I like the fact it asks you things from your personal life that only you would know. That way no one else can get in and view my credit score, it's the only website that I actually trust to go on and see my credit score. But when they ask those personal question, there's one I always get wrong and I can't remember it, so after I get it wrong I get locked out and can't keep trying. I just wish there was something else I could do to be able to get in and check my credit score again. But it is the best website that I know of or that I have used. I am satisfied with it.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Credit Karma is very easy to use. It's semi factual, and accessible both on mobile and online platforms. The website is fast and easy to use. I feel as if the information isn't one hundred percent true, because it's not an actual credit company. But I feel like it's pretty secure and genuine about the results. It gives a good representation on what your credit score is. It also has helpful tips and information. Credit Karma also helps with other opportunities to improve your credit score and how to maintain it. But I would like the website to be more accurate and secure.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I like Credit Karma. It is free and it gives useful, helpful information that is updated weekly. It also is easy to use and gives recommendations to improve your score. It offers TransUnion score and I think Experian too. But I don't need more credit cards. I don't think they should be a part of Credit Karma. They hurt my credit in the first place. And I would like more ways to improve my score on a monthly basis.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The website was very easy to use and my credit was made available immediately after logging in. The site includes info from all the credit bureaus. Also gives you a break down of your credit and shows all your credit since you had an acct Like how it breaks down each acct with the length of time it has been open. Accts are easy to read and Accts all are on the same page. But the credit info with the report needs to match the other credit reports. Would like the accounts to be more broken down and easy to read. Should give you more alerts and let you update more often. Should include all 3 credit reports. More info about the closed accounts and less info on accounts. And I would like to be able to contact the other credit bureaus at the same time.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I love Credit Karma. I have used it for a few years now and it seems like a pretty awesome site. It is very secure and offers you tips on how to improve your credit. They also offer a very secure and safe environment and even log you off if you forget to. That way your password and info stay secure. I have been able to raise my credit score by a few points and plan on signing up for a credit card in the near future to improve my score even more. You can make your credit good within as little as a year using a secure card.

Original review: May 27, 2018

It is simple to sign up, it is quick to get your credit report, it is free. Easy to access. If you want to pay for the service they give you the option for more services. Can get notifications if pay for the service, to keep up and monitor your score. The Credit Karma site is good as it is.

Original review: May 26, 2018

It is very easy to set up and take very little time to do. It is completely free and easy to navigate through the website and it give helpful information about your credit score. They send emails and updates about credit score and I like that so I can keep up to date with my credit score. It also shows what credit cards are best for you to try to apply for and which will be more likely to approve you. But I wish there were more information on how to build credit. But other than that I can't complain about anything else. It is a great site to use.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Doesn't require a monthly or yearly subscription. Don't have to enter debit card number or other billing information. Provides emails with any changes to credit report. However, website could be a little easier to navigate. Doesn't show all 3 bureaus at once. Doesn't offer enough explanation of how credit score is determined or ideas on how to improve score. Nevertheless, it is a secure website with good better business bureau rating. Most recommended credit score and report website. Easy to navigate site. Easy to create an account. Not too many personal questions.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The Credit Karma site seems to be secure enough for my tastes and I was able to view my credit information and use that information to figure out some financial issues. It's a fast way to get your credit score and figure out how likely you are able to get a loan or anything else that you might be applying for. It was a positive experience with Credit Karma. But I am always nervous about giving out my social security number over the internet as you never know exactly how secure a website is and there's a lot of shady companies out there.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Credit Karma was easy to use and quick to process. I needed to clean up my credit and it's helping me do that. It helped me deal with my credit issues. It was flashy, and kept my attention. Some parts were a little overly flashy though. Also it was extremely over personal, and I was amazed to find that I had multiple credit reports but it seems a little confusing. I was lost for a portion of the time in navigation. Overall still, it was good although it was a little frustrating, I wish there were more helper tools to keep things moving at a quicker pace.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I really like credit karma. This is an excellent and a free way to check it my score without affecting my credit. I felt safe giving my personal information, and I can check my score anytime I need to without a hassle. I have the app and I check my score about every 7 days. I use it a lot. And it gives me options for credit cards that I can be approved for. It gives me breakdowns of my credit report. It's not an exact score though, and I would like to know my exact score. But even if it's not exact I still have an estimate. And shows me how I can improve my score. It's a great site.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My overall experience with Credit Karma has been amazing since I first signed up, they made it super easy and understanding to use. I can do so much on the site like apply for a credit card specifically to improve my credit score. They provide me with the total amount of debt that I am in, just a lot of cool informative things. It offers you to file your yearly taxes free of charge, not many sites have that feature and I think it is amazing. But I dislike how the site has two credit bureaus that are not synced with each other. For example: my Experian score would be 680 but my Equifax would say 720 and the collections are off on both credit bureaus. Otherwise I truly appreciate Credit Karma. It is a safe a free way to stay on track with your credit score.

Original review: May 20, 2018

You can download the app to check your credit whenever you want to and it is updated very frequently so it has accurate and current information. It breaks it into categories to easily understand what affects your score and how much each category affects your score. If you find something that is not accurate it helps you dispute it with the credit bureaus.

The only thing I don't like about it is how many notifications they send me. Also sometimes I feel like they are just trying to get me to get a new credit card with all the cards they match me up with. Other than that overall I really like it and I am very happy with it. It's very easy to use, reliable and very easy to understand. It really helped me to understand my credit score and what goes into getting that score.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Credit Karma is a well known company. The fact that many other people use it as well makes me more comfortable. We are able to talk and relate and relay information to other people. I like how it is easy and free and I truly enjoy the ease of access. But I would love to feel more secure and to offered more options for other types of credit scores as well. I would like a more personalized experience where I feel like it's suited for me exactly.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have mixed feelings about the site. It is a good way to track your credit score and look at the factors that are affecting your rating. I think overall it is a good tool. The problem I have, is with the "Credit Simulator", which I have found grossly inaccurate. You enter in a "what if" and it tells you how that scenario will most likely affect your score. So, I punched in what would happen if I opened a new credit card with a $500 credit line. It predicted that it would increase my score by 32 points, the effect however, when I applied and was approved by one of their suggested partners, the hard inquiry lowered my score by 8 points.

Do not trust the Credit Simulator, I think perhaps they have a financial incentive for encouraging you to open new accounts with the companies they recommend. Also, I tried to discuss this issue with Credit Karma and there is no phone number to speak to an actual person. The responses to my emails were generic auto-replies that did not address my real issue. So that tells me no one is actually reading them.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I did my taxes through their system and it did the allocations incorrectly. I then messaged them about this and was told by their customer service that I could file an amendment but they couldn't do anything even though their product put the information in improperly. I put in that it was split allocations but their system put it as a whole and I am still trying to fix their screw up.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My overall experience was great. The website is generally easy to use, and for the most part is helpful. I appreciate the information they provide regarding my score. I liked how the website not only gave me my score, but it also listed other scores to compare. In addition, the site listed reasons why my score was what it was, provided suggestions for improving it, and alerted me when an event involving my score had occurred. I dislike that sometimes I'd like to see who's viewed my report, what some of my alerts are, and access details to other comparable scores, but the website requires you to purchase these features and I'm not willing to do so.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I very much enjoy using the mobile android app to regularly check my credit score. I appreciate how easy to understand and detailed everything is. It is a wonderful app and all of the features are great. It was easy to download, very simple, user friendly, and visually appealing. The colors are very nice and easy on the eyes. Also, I like how each credit bureau is broken down simply to show different accounts and their activity. I would recommend it to anyone looking to check their credit score.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Credit Karma is a great site to join. I love that it is free and you are able to get your report fast. It is an easy site to sign up for. They also give you credit monitoring and emails!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I had a very good experience with Credit Karma. I use it every year to check my credit report. It is much easier than checking each reporting agency separately. The information provided is thorough and specific information on how to file a dispute is provided even if it is complicated to do. However, it has a tendency to have some outdated information, too many steps to verify identity and complicated process for filing disputes. But other than that, it is a quality site for routine credit checks & credit report maintenance. I like that it is free and you get your credit score immediately. It aggregates reports from all three of the major credit reporting agencies and you can run your own credit report without affecting your credit scores.

Not sure about Credit Karma?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Credit Report Sites for you.

Credit Karma Company Information

www.creditkarma.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business