2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.8/5 (345 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: July 5, 2021

Credit Karma’s a great tool to see your credit scores. When you sign up, the site sends notification emails when there are changes to your credit profile. On their site they have offers and advice on how to increase credit scores. I rated 4 vs 5 because the site only shows two of the credit bureaus scores and not all three bureaus. When I visit the site, I’d like to see and compare scores from all three bureaus. Otherwise, it’s a great site.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I have been using Credit Karma for free for many many years. I have never felt the need to switch to any other reporting site. They are fairly accurate minus some details I have heard creditors say they saw on my report which I couldn't. The only thing I wish they were more detailed on information on ways to get your score higher. Maybe a bot or something that was detailed on the best corrective actions for your credit besides new cards or loans.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Credit Karma does a great job most of the time. But there's way too much automation and it seems like you're not actually dealing with human beings. I realize they only report my scores rather than creating them but their site can often leave you frustrated such as getting email notifications with links that carry you to the wrong page so you have to manually search the site to see what they're talking about. At times it feels like they're spamming me because there's really nothing there for me to see when I get there and when they offer things like winning money, there's always a catch such as joining to get their debit card which I already have so many debit cards I simply do not need another... and that leaves me out on their giveaway opportunities.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I am a senior citizen and a retired educator. Being of little means, on social security, I wanted something simple, secure and reliable. A few years ago when I was looking for such a way online, I stumbled across Credit Karma. Before I went there, I began the process with another online entity that advertised itself as free, but near the end of that process they asked me how I wanted to pay their processing fee! With Credit Karma, there are no games. What they advertise is what we get. I am very happy with them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Very satisfied with this service from Credit Karma. Had my return done in just a few minutes. And unlike TaxAct and TurboTax, there was no charge for my filing, state or federal. They both wanted to charge around an extra $40 to complete my filing (because I had a lottery winning). It truly is a shame since I have used TaxAct exclusively in the past.

The process was easy. Though when I tried to do it through the app on my phone, there were glitches that frustrated me. But when I decided to go to the full website, there was no problem whatsoever. I was informed that it would take a short while for confirmation that my returns were accepted by state and federal, and very happy that I had that confirmation well within 15 minutes.

Original review: July 16, 2021

With no emails. No communication that the account was being deactivated. This is a service that used and promoted by the United States government to complete your taxes. Our personal information is on this website and they have completely deactivated me without the chance to get my documents. Stay away.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I have been with Credit Karma for several years and they have served me well. I have been educated by them on reviewing my credit report, they have shown me the best credit cards to sign up for, they help with buying a car, buying car insurance.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Credit Karma is always refreshed and lets you know about your credit score. It offers ways to fix your credit and reduce balances. It also has recommendations for credit cards and other ways to fix your credit. It has a link for unclaimed property that you can access through your own state to see if you have some money floating out there. Overall good site.

Original review: July 9, 2021

This site provides the information I need when checking out my credit score and availability. It also keeps me posted on any changes that take place, and it's FREE. It also offers opportunities to obtain credit from various sources based on your score, and provides detailed descriptions of all your credit use compared to your credit availability, and how that use affects your score.

Original review: July 8, 2021

How I feel? About those who steal into my financial information? The answer is "ANGRY". Credit Karma is doing a good job of notifying consumers when a data breach occurs. I appreciate being notified.

Credit Karma Company Information