2.44/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

311 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ran my credit with Credit Karma before trying to lease a car and it showed me my "good credit score." Got to the car dealership and they ran it showing 200 points lower. The whole reason you run your credit is for the truth of how you appear to lenders to make sure you can do what you need to in life - get a car, a home etc. Why does Credit Karma even exist if it's going to mislead you about crucial information. There really is a big difference between a real FICO score and the bull_ score you get on Credit Karma. I would never use it again and will warn everyone I speak to not to use them either unless you want a big shock when you go for that car or mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I received a call from unknown number. The person identified themselves as from Comenity Bank and said I owed $79.00 dollars. However they could not tell me for what. I informed them without proof, I was not paying. I then got notified by Credit Karma that I should pay Comenity Bank and they lowered my score on their site. It was all a scam and Credit Karma was part of it. Beware and investigate what they tell you. It is impossible to get in touch with them. I am no longer a member.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I rec'd an email from Credit Karma. I went to the website. It showed different companies where I could get a loan. I did not apply for a loan. Next thing I knew, I had responses where I was turned down for a loan for various reasons. I think Credit Karma applied for me or something. I DID NOT WANT A LOAN! Now the info is on my credit reports, and it wasn't me. It needs to be fixed, but I don't know where to contact Credit Karma.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I recently applied with a creditor for medical care and was denied because of my TransUnion score. They informed me of what it was, which was a whopping 30 points less than what’s showing on Credit Karma. Can’t depend on CK info.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Am I the only person who doesn't understand. I mean seriously tried to check my credit and it asks for my credit card info. I didn't put it in and it won't let me complete the process so Credit Karma and your false advertisement: shame.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I attempted to create a Credit Karma account two weeks ago, only to learn that someone else had created an account with their email address using my personal information. I attempted to contact customer support, asking them to verify my identity and tell me how long the account had been open and what information they had shared; I made it known that I was not interested in using Credit Karma's credit services, and that I didn't want to simply change the email address associated with my personal information, since the Credit Karma website clearly states that changing the email address for an account erases the prior credit reports and usage history.

Credit Karma did not reply to me until a week and a half later, after I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They responded on my BBB complaint saying that they replied to my initial message to support and saying that it's a busy time of year for them, and they also sent me an automated response to my original email, stating that there was another email address associated with my personal information, which was exactly what I told THEM in my original complaint. I pointed their redundancy out in my reply, reiterated my request for identity verification and a disclosure of my leaked personal information, and reminded them that they have breached their privacy policy and fallen short of their claims of security.

I also reiterated that I don't want to change the email address of the account because I don't want the usage history and old credit reports to be lost, and I explained that that information is the only way for me to know if there were other fraudulent actions perpetrated by my impostor that affected my credit, because I have reason to believe that there were such actions and that they have occurred more than two years ago. Credit Karma's solution was to suspend the account and let me know that the help ticket would close automatically in a few days.

In all this, they STILL had not once acknowledged my requests to verify my identity or explain how they shared my information with the impostor. I rejected their BBB answer on these grounds, threatened legal action both via email and in my BBB response, and also emailed both their security and legal departments regarding the matter. Only then did Credit Karma member support give me a link to upload documents that would better verify my identity. The security department and the legal department have not responded. I uploaded my driver's license and birth certificate as instructed in the last member support email. Afterward, I received an automated reply with a link to reset my account password, and an automated reply to notify me that my documents were received and that they had sent an email to me to reset my password.

The problem I'm having now is that I don't know what email address the account is connected to anymore. Because everything on Credit Karma's end is so impersonal, insensitive, and negligent, I worry that my requests were skimmed over (again) and that they really did (or are about to) change the email address associated with the account, thereby erasing all credit reports and usage data on the account per their policy and leaving me in the dark about what has been done to my credit. I voiced these concerns in my email to support and restated my desire to speak to someone on the matter; still no response. There is no number to call, and my only option is repeating my complaint to the brick wall that is their member support and hope that it reaches an actual caring human instead of parroting some irrelevant, scripted snippet of their default support response reservoir.

I have made a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I will be writing their legal department, and will be finding legal consultation to see if there is any recourse for the irresponsible way that they've handled my credit information and my complaints. I will be doing everything I can, short of going to San Francisco myself and knocking on their door. I don't expect them to take responsibility for someone else figuring out my birthday and the last four of my social, but I do expect a company that works with such sensitive information to have a responsive support team that actually cares about privacy policy breaches and matters involving fraud.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Credit Karma sent me several emails that I had been preapproval for a Personal Loan. So I applied, the way I understood it would not hurt my Credit Score. The Loan was preapproved so I would get the Loan. Then I got a notice from Credit Karma that someone had applied for a Personal Loan and my Score Dropped. Then I received a email that my loan had been turned down. If I would have known that, next time I would have used a company I could have trusted!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I received an email just over a week ago that there was a hard inquiry thru TransUnion on a Barclays Bank credit card. It dinged my score by 4 points, so it got my attention. Called Barclays and it was fraud. Sent letter to TransUnion, since they won't handle fraud cases on the phone. Long story short, they saved my butt!!! Thanks, Credit Karma!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've enjoyed the service for some years but they have major flaws: 1. The scores are not remotely close to what the credit companies provide. For example, CK and the real scores for TransUnion had about an 70 pt. diff. (higher on CK) between the true score and what Credit Karma produces. I just bought a car, I had just seen my score(s) on CK as I do look periodically and asked what my real score was at the dealership. CK was worthless due to the huge discrepancy and my timing was great since I knew my CK score. That convinced me it was time to say farewell.

2. Really irrelevant due to #1... They lack the third credit company but it doesn't matter due to the score diff. and Credit Karma uses a scoring system the real world doesn't (a much earlier version). Since my scores are worthless through the company, there's simply no reason to use it. It was a "feel good" check but didn't resemble reality. Folks, use the free annual credit report to see if there's funky stuff going on. We also get notifications from our very old credit card if weird stuff happens.

When there was any issue, Credit Karma was fast in responding but usually gave me a useless answer. "Check with the credit company. We don't provide the details." Naw, I'll pass on that. On one hand, I'll miss Credit Karma but my brain says I don't need a pretend security blanket anymore because it just doesn't give me the security I want. Take care, Credit Karma, and best to all your workers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My experience with Credit Karma has not been good. Even though my credit score is over 800 they have some wrong information on my report. They show me with a Tennessee driver's license and I have lived in Georgia for over 30 years. I have contacted them through their website and just get a response that they get their info from a third party. I have checked with all the third parties that I can think of and they are all correct. It seems like Credit Karma is the only one incorrect. They will not tell me where this info came from so I can get it corrected. They do not seem to understand or care that I am concerned about identity theft and like a lot of people on this site have said there is no phone number so you can talk to a person.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

All I wanted to do was look up score but they couldn't verify my identity, wouldn't accept the pictures of my license my phone was taking, and they don't even have a customer service phone number. Awful.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I was notified that one of my accounts was breached, so I went to log into CK to review the issue as CK prompted me to do so. My password, which I knew to be correct, did not work, so I changed my password. The new password wouldn't let me in so I changed it maybe three more times, being very careful and I still could not get into my account. So now I'm concerned about my breached account and there is no customer service person that I can contact at CK to have them figure out what is going haywire in their system that is precluding me from accessing my account to review the breach. I went from being a very happy CK user to being very disappointed, aggravated, and concerned with them over this. They need a customer service line, or at minimum messaging support, but they have NOTHING that I could find.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I thought this site would be an excellent way to stay on top of my credit scores and things I need to pay attention to. The problem is the score Credit Karma shows you is NOT the actual credit score you have with TransUnion or Equifax. I pulled the yearly free reports from the credit bureau at the same time my scores were "updated" with Credit Karma and found Credit Karma was reporting my scores 55 points lower than the actual bureaus. They are just in the business of "selling you" products that pay them to recommend their services to you! Want to know your TRUE scores get your FREE report from the credit bureaus directly. Also a lot of cards include your credit score on your statements.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I spent over an hour trying to upload my state id. Over 30 attempts. Numerous lighting conditions and resolutions. If one side went through...being the photo side there was absolutely no way to get the barcode on the back of id to upload. Even tried using another device. Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I used this service for less than a year, and then overnight my access was denied. Came to find out there was a new email associated with my account. I contacted them and told them that this was fraud in process, and supposedly they froze my account with them and told me to go to the authorities. They were not forthcoming as to what had happened or if my information was compromised or used in any way. I know the Bad security was in their end, since I am the only one from my side that has access to my device and information. BEWARE of using this company, maybe I am the only one that has experienced this, but maybe not.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Credit Karma free report said I had a 624. Come to find out at bank I don't have a score due to not using credit for several years. Was hugely embarrassed and let down. Now I have to start over but no place will start your credit without already having any. They don't take in mind all the bills I pay on time but if I missed them they would hurt my score. How is this fair. I need to sue Credit bullcrap. Just haven't figured out how yet. Don't believe the hype people.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was very impressed with Credit Karma at first. They gave me good counsel and finally, I was able to climb to 700+ Score average. I thought I would get another card with points, so I applied for an American Express card with "Very Good Approval" rating. I was denied because my credit history was only 2 years old. Shouldn't this be factored into the recommendation formula? Why was my approval "Very Good"? I cleared up some late reporting from other cards which brought all of my cards down to zero with great history and no derogatory remarks etc. I reapplied for American Express with "Very Good Approval" once again and denied once again!!!

I switched to Credit Sesame and applied for a Discover Card with points back and was denied on the basis of too many inquiries in the past 3 months (the 2 AE card). Now I'm in a 6-month holding pattern because of these 2 bogus inquiries and I cannot move forward in my credit building! To top it off, there is no customer service contact information anywhere and I cannot even find out how to close my account! I am no longer a slave to debt and I can choose who I want to do business with. I'm through with American Express and Credit Karma. I don't NEED charity cards with annual fees and no real benefits. I have credit worthy of some real benefits. I will patiently wait to choose the right one. But I will not do it through Credit Karma.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I only dealt with them a day or two and overnight my credit score dropped 5 points. They are just trying to sell Capital One credit cards. THAT IS ALL! They tell you, "Go apply for this card. Great chance to get it"... Don't tell you every one you apply for drops your score at least 5 points. After reading these reviews this company is exactly what I thought it was. A RIP OFF. I am going to talk to my bank about my credit and getting a card through them. Best to just keep scrolling. Don't go to Credit Karma.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Credit Karma was much better when your accounts were updated daily. Now you are at the mercy of the two worst credit bureaus. Each only update once a month, so if you pay some cards off it will take minimum 30 days for it to show. Credit Karma is for research only and looking at your credit report at any time.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I signed up with Credit Karma and I check my account regularly - my credit began to rise and Credit Karma started offering options to apply for certain companies as they thought it was a good chance for approval - No. This company is paid by the sponsors to advertise their services whether you are qualified or not. This also cause more damage to the account that they are suppose to help you resolve with the inquiries affecting your score. Leave the company to their sponsors and save your money and your credit.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I signed up and everything was OK for six months. Then all of a sudden they were showing 28 negative accounts. They are not on my credit reports with the three main ones! I contacted them three times with no reply. They kept sending me emails to contact an attorney to get help with my credit issues. Lol. What a scam!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

So my credit score on TransUnion is 592, I understand that bad, but never do anything for anyone that will destroy your rep and credit. When I went to go purchase a car at a dealership. They came back after checking my credit, well to my freaking huge surprise shocker. My TransUnion credit score was 464. How the ** is there a 128 score difference. Credit Karma should be ** shut down.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using Credit Karma for a couple years and during that time I have had a couple different cell phone numbers. I have been able to get logged into my account but cannot view my tax records. I try to click onto my tax account and am blocked because I am accessing my account from an unknown address. I appreciate that but they have my old phone number on file with NO way to update it. I went through the whole process of updating my cell number, selecting that I did not have access to the old one, uploading photos of my license, only to be redirected to the beginning of the mad race and be instructed to go through the process of uploading again. I have had issues with them before but this is the most frustrating because I NEED those documents and they are technically MINE!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just un-joined Credit Karma, after more than 5 years as a member. When I first signed up it was rather unique in being a free service that gave alerts when some company checked your credit. But over the years, I have accumulated other services that give the same free alerts and credit scores. Some are through credit cards, others are just because a company had a security breach, and they provide a free monitoring service to everyone who had their information part of the breach. Then in the last few months, Credit Karma starting ignoring their own policies about sending me email. Even though I always had the box that says "Email Me Relevant offers" turned off, I started getting all kinds of useless crap about getting loans etc. And they refuse to turn those off. So it’s gone from something that was useful to something that is an annoyance. So I left.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Within 1 month my CK score has gone from 674 to 620 to 617 to 660 to 622. Absolutely nothing has changed to cause this fluctuation. I know CK is not accurate and that banks use completely different formulas, but this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Credit Karma, credit sesame etc are only click sites to sell credit cards. The scores are nowhere near anything a lender requires. 3 larger banks told me this when applying for a mortgage. Garbage, bs. etc. Discover is claiming to give you a FICO score. 100% not true bogus numbers. Then they recommend another credit card to buy. I have 2 secured card, only 200 bucks each 3 weeks old no payment due, my score dropped 80 points lol. Although they say you need cards to increase your score. These scammers need to be shut down.

Original review: July 1, 2018

It is troubling to know that a business such as Credit Karma, which has access to your personal information, yet does not have live customer service. The number on their "Contact us" is not in service, leaving you to have to print a form and mail it to get resolution to urgent matters or concerns such as access to your tax info, or addressing account login issue. Being that it is accessed via internet shouldn't the FCC standards apply to them when handling customer concerns.

Original review: June 24, 2018

APP Doesn't Work. Verification failed repeatedly. I'm a native US citizen with no criminal record, good credit, and valid ID. Credit Karma wasted an hour of my time and does not work. It was unable to validate my ID. Don't waste your time. Use a different service.

Original review: June 13, 2018

This Credit Karma is total crap. They say they don't ask for my credit card to get my score, lol. That's exactly what it did and when I didn't give it, I didn't get my "free" score, what a misrepresentation if I ever saw one.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Get the monthly emails like everyone else. Says my score was 760's. Actual score when getting credit run... 705. Talked to 2 guys when house shopping and they said they said this is fairly common. Knock off around 40-50 points and you'll be closer to your actual score.

Credit Karma Company Information