2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.91/5

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

BOTTOM LINE

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

PROS

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

CONS

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Top Credit Karma Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it was legit… Very impressed and would use again.

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cost. I’ve been using this for the past 5 years. They also help prevent Fraud.

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
    • Reward cards
    • Travel cards
    • Cash back cards
    • 0% APR cards
    • Business cards
    • Cards for fair credit
    • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
    Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
    Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
    Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
    Has Credit Karma been hacked?
    The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
    How much is Credit Karma?
    Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I had to quickly transfer money from Credit Karma account to my checking account at my bank. It was an easy transaction to make because the instructions were concise and easy to understand. It stated that it would take between 5-7 days to transfer but it was done in 2 days.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I use this free service to keep track of my credit. I get automatic notifications when my credit file is accessed or a credit check is run. I can freeze my credit files through the Credit Karma app. This is a totally free service and it's excellent for keeping track of your credit and fico scores as well.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Last year I filled out my taxes late and without any help. The app guides you through the whole process taking you with ease, step by step, lets you fill both state and federal taxes and tells your possible tax returns. In less than 15 minutes I did my own taxes, the returns were processed, approved and deposited in less than 30 days and, which is better yet, totally free.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it was legit. I did not have to use their customer service since it was easy to use but looks like they would be available for all questions. Even has protection in the event of a mistake or audit. Surprised they do not advertise this. Very impressed and would use again.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Easy to use, step by step application. They make recommendations for other credit deductions. It was free of charge as well. One thing that could make it better would be to also file state not just federal. Easy app to use and easy check in to follow the process of my funds. This is my second year using the app and have had no issues.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Credit Karma's tax service claims 100% accurate calculations and free audit protection. I just received a proposed correction to my 2018 taxes saying I owe over $7,000. It was great to find out that their audit protection covers you for 1 year after filing your return. After that, they basically get to avoid all responsibility and ignore all emails. The third-party audit protection service they use informed me that I would qualify for help if I filed my taxes with Credit Karma in 2019. I will never use the service again and recommend no one else do. They don't do what they promise and leave you to clean up the mess by yourself.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Credit score reduced due to pier one closing their credit card service. This has happened before. I didn't use Ginnys anymore so they closed the account. Deducted points again. All closed accounts are resolved except Navy Federal and Victoria's Secret. Yet they continue to sen emails about them. They refuse to help when a creditor who said a owed a large amount of money. Freedom Debt help me. Constant solicitation. Often false as you can log in and view their promotions. I could not reached them by phone or email.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I wanted to check my credit score as I've never done that before. I thought to try Credit Karma. Being in Canada went to the Canadian site. I tried multiple times to get a score, but each time they said I have a thing file. I had to look up what a thin file was. Fair enough. Now a few days later (November 2, 2020), I have had various companies calling and texting me about fixing my credit. No. All I wanted was my credit score. I had to tell two of them I wanted was my credit score.

When I signed up for Credit Karma, they wanted my number. Obviously, they gave my information out. Every time I go to my account, it says it can't retrieve my information and I have to call another company about this. Now I can't even deactivate this account with Credit Karma regard of what pops up on Google. Avoid Credit Karma. Not a trustworthy company no matter what their ads and commercials tell you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Using a VPN is supposed to help keep your private stuff private but Credit Karma doesn't allow me to access my account using a VPN. Companies who block VPN's should be avoided. When companies block VPN's it sends a message that they are probably selling your stuff.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Credit Karma keeps up with you credit scores and any financial information you care to share. Recommends card options they feel are better for you and loans with better terms. Also provide tax service and notifications on changes.

Credit Karma Company Information