3.8/5 (720 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I am not happy with Credit Karma at all. I am tired of the alerts to apply for another credit card to build my credit, or to apply for a loan, or to refinance my vehicle. I have tried all of the above, only to get dings on my credit score and not even be approved for anything. It is highly annoying and it lowers my credit score. Why would they continue to alert me to apply for these things and then unknowingly I get hard pulls on my credit score. I believe they are part of the reason my score is so low. I no longer will listen to their alerts to apply for things. It's not worth it. I wish they could just stop with it. I have been fooled by them too many times thinking my credit would improve. I was very wrong! So upset by this, and they continue to alert me of these things even after the company I applied with already denied me, so why are they telling me to apply again!!?? Very irritated!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I had my refund advance deposited into my credit karma spend account and they locked it!! It’s been over a week and they have yet to tell me why my account is locked! All they say is wait for an email! They are a complete scam and apparently this is a thing that they’re doing to many people. I do not have access to any of my money and no Answers and customer service are no help!! I’m soo upset!! Do not use them!!

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

They approved me for a rapid advance loan as long as I opened up a Credit Karma spend account. I have an account after paying the butt getting the ID and all that stuff figured out and then after the IRS approves my return they decide they're not going to give me the advance at all but money still has to go in their account now. I expected more from Credit Karma and that is not the way to do business or to get business.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

So I opened a Credit Karma spend account back in 2021 but I never received my card. I wasn't able to get back into my account kept saying information was incorrect security questions didn't work or anything. Then when I finally did get in they had a credit card offer for me which I declined. But next thing I know I received an email in regards to that credit card offer. Credit karma submitted my information even though I declined the offer. So I stopped using them because of that. Today I was filing my taxes and trying to get an advance which can only go through Credit Karma spend account. When I logged into the account it said that my spend account was closed and that I could not reopen it. I reached out to them and informed them that one, I never got my card and two, I didn't close my account so that was done on their end, not mine.

They kept telling me the same that once it's closed it can't be opened again. Which doesn't make any sense especially since they are the ones that closed it in the first place and not me. Then one rep went on to say that since Credit Karma is fairly new. They are not fairly new, I used them for years before all this. Which I informed the rep of and all they had to say was, "I'm sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you." What a load of crap. First, they submit me for a credit card I didn't want then they close my spend account and won't reopen it since they are the ones that closed it in the first place. I no longer trust them and I will never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

I applied for a CREDIT CARD through CREDIT KARMA, and it said that if I didn't get it, they would either give me a $50 GIFT CARD or a PRE-PAID card (if I was eligible ).. And it turns out that I am ELIGIBLE for the GIFT CARD or the PRE-PAID CARD.. Long story short, it's been almost 2 months and I haven't one word from CREDIT KARMA!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

It is as the title is. Credit Karma refuses to accept documents sent to their 'secure link' for uploads to update my phone number. I have uploaded them per their precise directions as requested and they still refuse to accept them and change my phone number. I have done this about 8 times already with them. It is unknown what the issue is as they are not specific as to why my uploads are not being accepted. I have done so with both my cellphone and my computer. Each time afterward I get another email from them requesting documentation to prove identity. All I want to do is update my phone number so I can log in. Now I am at the point was wanting the account deleted entirely. I have been a customer of theirs for several years and this customer service from them is appalling. They don't even deserve a star.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I have a Credit Karma account since 2013. I even opened savings account with them sometime during this past year someone hacked my account changed my email and password moved money from one account to another then stole every dime I had out of my bank America and credit karma savings which were linked together.

If this site was secure when my email address got changed from my name to ** you would think they would catch it since it's been my name for almost ten years. I contacted company to tell them of fraud and they wanted me to verify who I was which I did in any and all ways possible. Even with the address I had when I was born parents' maiden names my ex-husband's name, old addresses, phone numbers, my driver's license, my social, everything I could think of only to have them says, "Sorry we can't verify your identity." I even gave them new and past accounts open and closed no go. So they just let my money get stolen from me and did nothing to protect or help what happened. Not secure at all. I don't recommend

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Got an offer for a guaranteed approval on a product where they would pay me $50 if I was not approved. So, I applied, hard inquiry made on my credit within seconds, and I was not approved. I then contacted them to get my $50 and they told me that I could not recieve it because I did not qualify and that they could not find any applications for credit. **! It's a bogus guarantee that is not being followed through on only to get people to apply for financial products through their site. DO NOT DO IT! The companies that advertise on their site are getting kickbacks along with Credit Karma for every application and account that is opened. They are crooks and should be investigated by the government for this outrageous and blatant use of baiting. Shame on them all!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

They send advertisements stating they guarantee that I would get accepted for a credit card or I would get 50. Now no one calls back. No answers. I was told I would get an email. Don’t trust. Lowered my credit score 10 min after I applied and didn’t get approved. Most of the rates and terms they show on the site are not attainable.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

They tell you to get these credit cards and it will help your credit, it don't. I think this is just a way to get people to go in debt and ruin their credit. I should have never got involved with them.

Credit Karma Company Information