1.7/5 (87 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: July 10, 2021

Credit Karma is always refreshed and lets you know about your credit score. It offers ways to fix your credit and reduce balances. It also has recommendations for credit cards and other ways to fix your credit. It has a link for unclaimed property that you can access through your own state to see if you have some money floating out there. Overall good site.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I love that it's a free service for those of us on a budget and on top of that, they provide the ability to help yourself set up and stick to a budget which is personalized for you! I like the immediate and frequent alerts regarding any charges made and changes to my credit score. But I love how they let you categorize your spending and lay it all out for you in easy to understand charts!

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Credit Karma’s a great tool to see your credit scores. When you sign up, the site sends notification emails when there are changes to your credit profile. On their site they have offers and advice on how to increase credit scores. I rated 4 vs 5 because the site only shows two of the credit bureaus scores and not all three bureaus. When I visit the site, I’d like to see and compare scores from all three bureaus. Otherwise, it’s a great site.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I have been using Credit Karma for free for many many years. I have never felt the need to switch to any other reporting site. They are fairly accurate minus some details I have heard creditors say they saw on my report which I couldn't. The only thing I wish they were more detailed on information on ways to get your score higher. Maybe a bot or something that was detailed on the best corrective actions for your credit besides new cards or loans.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Credit Karma does a great job most of the time. But there's way too much automation and it seems like you're not actually dealing with human beings. I realize they only report my scores rather than creating them but their site can often leave you frustrated such as getting email notifications with links that carry you to the wrong page so you have to manually search the site to see what they're talking about. At times it feels like they're spamming me because there's really nothing there for me to see when I get there and when they offer things like winning money, there's always a catch such as joining to get their debit card which I already have so many debit cards I simply do not need another... and that leaves me out on their giveaway opportunities.

Original review: May 7, 2022

This company uses yours and my information to make money off our information but cannot give you access to your account to change an outdated phone number unless you give them information on your entire history. When you submit said information they refuse to give access on the grounds that they cannot read or see your images good enough to read. Bunch of crap. If an actual human put eyes on it they would be able to verify your identity. Bunch of lazy grifters.

Original review: April 29, 2022

On April 15 my Credit Karma spend account was locked, on April 15th I received an email that my account was closed. "Your Spend and Save accounts will be closed, and if your accounts have a balance when we close them, we will return the funds to you, via ACH Transfer to your linked bank account or by mailing." You a check, within the next five (5) business days.I still have no access to my money and it had not been transferred. I contacted MVB bank and they assisted me by having it escalated. Now credit karma states that it is under review by a specialized team that I have emailed numerous times, I need to eat and pay my bills ,

Original review: April 28, 2022

Credit Karma gave me a list of "Guaranteed Approval" credit cards. I found one of the offerings with a 0% balance transfer for 18 months and thought this would be a prime opportunity to get 3 of my remaining balances out of 19%+ interest rates taken out. So here's how this played out: I have a 720+ credit rating...well I did. I was declined for the "Guaranteed Approval" and two of my oldest credit lines suddenly closed my accounts. Their reasoning was that I was "seeking out new credit lines and they feared I would be unable to maintain my payments with them".

Poof! Two of my oldest accounts closed, and my credit rating dropped 32 points with Equifax and 30 with Transunion. I was never late on either of those accounts, one I kept at a zero balance month after month, and the other was about $300 from being zero. Both of those totaled a credit limit of $6000. This is ridiculous. Do not trust Credit Karma with anything-they are not looking out for your, just getting their advertising dollars with your click-throughs.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I should be reading reviews first before listening advice from the website with the big name. So much disappointed in this Credit Karma. I applied for the credit card as they recommended. Their recommendation said it would have high possibility of approval. But my approval was rejected, and my already low credit score will go down for another couple years. Also, their website is not accurate itself which is the bad sign itself. Under the Profile and Settings, I clicked Help Center and was told that this site does not exist. They simply do not have any customer service which a second red flag.

Original review: April 19, 2022

URGENT!!!! It's obvious the issues are no longer the customers, it's the company, I haven't been able to get into my account for several months now, I've requested for Credit Karma to have a supervisor to contact, as of today no results, I need to take action outside of credit karma, I told you many times I cannot get into my account, credit karma has failed to help, it's all over the internet that many other customers and former customers having the same issues. I'm very disappointed how credit karma hasn't resolved this issue and doesn't plan to. I use to recommend this company to several people but never again. This company won't admit the errors in the tech department but instead, sends customers the basic same troubleshoots that do not work and are not the issue. THE BLOG STATES, THAT IT MAY BE A BREACH COMING SOON, WAITING ON THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS!!!!

Credit Karma Company Information