2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.7/5 (351 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: July 5, 2021

Credit Karma’s a great tool to see your credit scores. When you sign up, the site sends notification emails when there are changes to your credit profile. On their site they have offers and advice on how to increase credit scores. I rated 4 vs 5 because the site only shows two of the credit bureaus scores and not all three bureaus. When I visit the site, I’d like to see and compare scores from all three bureaus. Otherwise, it’s a great site.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I have been using Credit Karma for free for many many years. I have never felt the need to switch to any other reporting site. They are fairly accurate minus some details I have heard creditors say they saw on my report which I couldn't. The only thing I wish they were more detailed on information on ways to get your score higher. Maybe a bot or something that was detailed on the best corrective actions for your credit besides new cards or loans.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Credit Karma does a great job most of the time. But there's way too much automation and it seems like you're not actually dealing with human beings. I realize they only report my scores rather than creating them but their site can often leave you frustrated such as getting email notifications with links that carry you to the wrong page so you have to manually search the site to see what they're talking about. At times it feels like they're spamming me because there's really nothing there for me to see when I get there and when they offer things like winning money, there's always a catch such as joining to get their debit card which I already have so many debit cards I simply do not need another... and that leaves me out on their giveaway opportunities.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I am a senior citizen and a retired educator. Being of little means, on social security, I wanted something simple, secure and reliable. A few years ago when I was looking for such a way online, I stumbled across Credit Karma. Before I went there, I began the process with another online entity that advertised itself as free, but near the end of that process they asked me how I wanted to pay their processing fee! With Credit Karma, there are no games. What they advertise is what we get. I am very happy with them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Very satisfied with this service from Credit Karma. Had my return done in just a few minutes. And unlike TaxAct and TurboTax, there was no charge for my filing, state or federal. They both wanted to charge around an extra $40 to complete my filing (because I had a lottery winning). It truly is a shame since I have used TaxAct exclusively in the past.

The process was easy. Though when I tried to do it through the app on my phone, there were glitches that frustrated me. But when I decided to go to the full website, there was no problem whatsoever. I was informed that it would take a short while for confirmation that my returns were accepted by state and federal, and very happy that I had that confirmation well within 15 minutes.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I had been using Credit Karma for a few months and began getting my check deposited. I took my son out for the weekend and when I returned home I noticed there were several charges that were incorrect. So, I disputed those transactions. Without notice, they canceled my debit card, with no way to access my money. So, after 5 days of figuring out my financial mess they put me in I called to see if there was some way for them to help. Nope. On top of that, I found out that after cancelling my card they didn't even go ahead and send me a new one!!!! So, now I have to wait an ADDITIONAL 14 days to get a debit card. Now, I just went and opened an account so I could transfer my money to a new acct. Credit Karma can't connect with their bank for some only God knows reason...so again NO WAY to access my money and NO ONE to help!!!! Do not use their services.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Despite advertising daily updates, this is not true. We paid off a credit card, paid off a mortgage, paid off a vehicle, and paid down the balance on another credit card. Two weeks later none of this was reflected in Credit Karma. They say that they only reflect what the companies report. Really. In two weeks four major companies did not report these changes? Hard to believe. Meanwhile, when you log into Credit Karma you continue to receive all kinds of "special" offers to refinance reflecting old balances. Clearly these offers are in their benefit. Credit Karma is quick to report your debt, but not your debt reduction.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I've been a Credit Karma user for several years, and lately I've noticed that periodically, maybe every 3 months, my TransUnion score drops by 50 points... and the "recent changes" they report are actually that my debt has been reduced! There is no reason for the score to drop by 50 points in one day, when nothing has changed with my accounts, and I have not opened any new accounts. Then a few days later, my score jumps back up by 50 points. I think they are screwing with me trying to get something from me.... but it is annoying and alarming. It's also strange that my score through Chase Credit Journey is quite different, and my score through Wells Fargo is quite different. I really wish this entire thing was more transparent and understandable... HELP, ELIZABETH WARREN!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I have had this checking/savings account less than a year with Credit Karma. Signed up through TurboTax and thought this might be good to Montior credit and also their savings had a good percentage rate. Along the way a couple things here and there that were just A little weird but no biggie. So recently My checking account was frozen. I went to use my card and I was never notified and there was no communication via text email Or anything. I called in. They just said to me somebody is looking into it. And they said here's your Case number. Here I am 14 days later!! Today I was Calling in as a not-so-happy customer as anyone could understand because for two weeks now I've had the same situation every time I call in.

Today I Finally get a supervisor And he says that he is even a little upset that it is taking this long and he will try to ask the "specialty group" about it. He would not send me to anybody above him. So when I finally get an email it states that they closed my account? Are you kidding me? This is the worst financial institution or company I've ever dealt with in customer service. I have also Gained fees from bills I had on auto Pay out of this account, And they are not acknowledging that And one of the credit cards is through them. LOL. I recommend never using any services from these people. They messed with my money, they messed with my family by not allowing me to use funds for gas or groceries or anything. They caused a lot of unnecessary fees stress.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

It takes forever to load pages on the Credit Karma website. Slow slow slow and annoying no matter what internet or device you are using. Pages take forever to load. Fix this and credit karma is great.

Credit Karma Company Information