Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.45/5

388 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 7, 2019

I have been using Credit Karma for many years, just to keep track of my credit scores. They have been consistently accurate and consistent with ratings issued by credit services, which figures since Credit Karma does not "create" your credit scores, they simply report scores from two of the credit services. This year, I used their tax filing service. Our returns are fairly simple now (retired), so I was able to complete the federal forms in about an hour or so, and the system did our state returns automatically. I filed on a Tuesday, received confirmation that our returns had been accepted on Wednesday, and had both payments, federal and state, in the bank within two weeks. Simple, free and accurate. Note: I receive no advertising from them as I opted out of that. When you go online with them they advertise various credit cards, but that's "take it or leave it". That's how they make their money, but it does not commit you to anything.

Original review: April 5, 2019

The information is always correct and accurate in a timely manner, I've been so pleased at the information and professional website that Credit Karma has. It has been very secure for me to truly trust with my personal information and even alerting me when I was logging in through a different device to confirm that it was indeed me. I've also recommended it to close friends and family. Thank you for taking the time to read this and please do try Credit Karma. You will be pleased.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Works same as TurboTax and other software companies that you pay for and pay state efile for, but free for everyone including free efile. Simply answer the questions. Guided or choose what you want to work on from a list.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Credit Karma for me has been great. I have had no issues and they keep me up to date. Like with anything there will be people who love it and those who don't. I am one who loves it. I am constantly keeping up on my credit and they have helped me keep on top of it. Thanks Credit Karma.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I received an email just over a week ago that there was a hard inquiry thru TransUnion on a Barclays Bank credit card. It dinged my score by 4 points, so it got my attention. Called Barclays and it was fraud. Sent letter to TransUnion, since they won't handle fraud cases on the phone. Long story short, they saved my butt!!! Thanks, Credit Karma!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: June 18, 2019

God help you if you apply for any loans on their site. You will be inundated with thousands of spoofed calls from scam artists who will prank call you for hours if you tell them no. Credit Karma obviously just sells your sensitive info to absolutely anyone.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I am so confused about credit scores. My Experian and TransUnion scores are 75 points less than my FICO score I can see everywhere else. It's a huge difference too, taking me from "fair" to well into the "good" range. Also, Credit Karma's score tracker suggested my score would raise by 100+ points for paying down a certain amount of debt. Paid that debt down about 5 months ago and my score on their site remained unchanged. I think my FICO score changed an appropriate amount, the 75 pt difference. I don't know, I'm so confused. Maybe the only fair part of my review is about their score forecaster. It appears to be utterly useless as my score available on their site changed by 1 or 2 points.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have been very unhappy with the scores they show you when you log in. I have been keeping a log of my score for two years and have found them consistently running 40-50 points lower than Equifax. This is a poor way to monitor ones credit, as they do not report on a timely basis and if a credit card goes up by 200 dollars they drop your score 19 points. I think this is a scam. Most lenders do not use this company to check credit.

Original review: June 5, 2019

The program will not let you cancel your tax form and no one in their entire organization seems to know how to make that happen. I started a return and got down to the last part of the review. It noted I had not put in a W-2. I get Social Security only. The program will not let me go any further. After countless E-mails they basically said I am screwed. Be very careful if you use them. Very very very bad.

Original review: May 26, 2019

This company is a lying scam. I have found the score to be lower/less timely than Experian, but signed up for the site a few years ago. I rarely used them but continually get emails. I responded to one offering to show me pre-Qualified personal loan offers, and that just viewing the available offers would NOT impact my credit score. So I said, "Why not just look?" I did not complete an application to any if the shown offers, unless they tricked me into it. I looked and didn't think any sounded as good as a different avenue for reducing my credit card debt. Then immediately I got two emails from lending companies, one a Notice of Adverse Impact. How dare they!! This site is a SCAM. Once this is fixed I will cut all ties with this fraudulent company and block any further emails.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I don’t understand how the score on Credit Karma is low by far from other sources. For example at Credit Karma 590 at Bank of America 717!!!! It’s a scam!!!! They lower your credit score to charge you more interest for loan or other services.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Credit Karma has WELLS FARGO on their website. They are just looking to scare you into taking out loans and recommended credit cards. Drops your scores more than 50 Pts for no reason (legit or otherwise). I find them useless.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I wanted to see if I was prequalified for a loan so Credit Karma was supposed to just pull up prequalified options but they went a step further and sent an application to all those lenders on my behalf without my approval. The check for prequalified options wasn’t supposed to hurt my credit score but when Credit Karma sent an application in for me, the 3 lenders checked my credit score and now I have 3 new inquiries on my credit report. I did not authorize Credit Karma to go any further than to check for prequalified options.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Was just informed by one who works for the Government whilst dealing with Student Loan Issue. Almost chewed guy out for reporting Student Loan Debt via email Bad Karma. This guy was no nonsense and knows his stuff - Was informed that this site is nothing but a money maker that (follow the money here) uses scare tactics to sell people credit cards. Red Flag: The upsy daisy of Karma's "your score just improved!" to "check an inquiry into your credit' (which I KNOW I had not applied for any credit in a long while." I feel sorry for ANY one who has signed up for this site (including myself). Do NOT give them your info!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Scoring way too high. I used to use Credit Karma to keep track of my credit score. With them only using the Vantage 3.0 system it's not even comparable to my FICO. My FICO is 75 points lower than the Vantage 3.0. If FICO is the still mainly the top option for lenders, isn't there a way that Credit Karma could work with all 3 credit bureaus to find a solution to be able to allow people to check their FICO score a more often than once a year that is the standard set for free?? I feel a person's credit should NOT be dinged for someone checking it. The only good thing I found with Credit Karma was the information in my TransUnion and Equifax reports were correct. However, I wish Experian was also in there.

Original review: May 7, 2019

On Saturday I told my sad story to the customer service rep about that loan contract was charging me high interest rates. I hoping that they would give me a fair chance but today my application for refinancing was denied without any contact with me. I make all of my payments on time with every bill but they did not want to work with me. My home town Genco Federal Credit Union rejected me first. If they could loan 2,000 dollars then my truck would be paid in full. I pay 90 percent of the cash and I just need 2,000.00 but again I was rejected and send to a loan that want to drain all of my month every month.

I have find two part time jobs because the interest rate is 19.9900 with a payment of 220.00 a month for 24 months. It about 6000.00 interest rate. I am paying for the my truck three time in worth again with two years. The credit union were create last the last hope of peace of mind if the bank rejected you and you did not want to deal with loan sharks. Again please help me GOD. I need you GOD.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Gave me poor advice and guidance to do an extension and got me in trouble with Ca tax board - then not only took no responsibility for what happened, but were rude, demeaning, disrespectful and smarmy nonchalant when I asked them to help me correct it. I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM.

Original review: April 21, 2019

It's a joke when it comes to your FICO score. It is completely inaccurate. The only thing to use it for is looking at your report. And it notifies you if anything changes in regards to new accounts or inquiries.

Original review: April 20, 2019

For last 6mo if using creditkarma.com service my score was 650. I have a new credit since recently started to use an auto loan first time in my life. For 16mo my score from 622 raised to 650. Wow. Not fast I thought, since paying on time. And I trade in my car yesterday and bought another car.. dealer shows me my score in 705!!!!! Thank you Credit Karma I will never be wasting my time on you or your credit card recommendations. I'd rather will check my FICO and free score check once a year. You don't deserve 1 star I rated you!

Original review: April 18, 2019

It was a overall good experience with WES. I recommend WES to my colleagues/relatives and other aspirants for PR/Student visa for US and CANADA. WES all services/application and process is good and user friendly.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I too received a troubling email from Credit Karma implying my online security, identities and possibly accounts had been breached. Like Valeri of Rockford, IL, I contacted Credit Karma after a thoroughly frustrating and unsuccessful effort to follow their instructions to 'review' these reports on their site. Credit Karma's site was more trouble than it was worth, with big emphasis on cute graphics and link after link of nothing related to the problems they alluded to in their original email to me. Today, nine days after I sent my request for help, I received a 'How to' which brought me to the page I already saw, that caused my concern in the first place. Online security should be easier to initiate with clear guidelines of what to do. Credit Karma's approach is more of a narrative and seems to try and point to their own importance in this ongoing problem.

Original review: April 5, 2019

They had personal loans area that claims it does not affect your credit score. Out of curiosity I looked at the offers. I NEVER APPLIED FOR ANY OF THEM. 4 hours later I get an email from Regions by Avant that I have been turned down for the loan I DID NOT APPLY FOR. The bank's response was to send me an identity theft form. That is total bs. No one stole my identity, this was done through the Credit Karma lie. If someone had tried to steal my identity and take out a loan they would not have used my email and home address. DO NOT TRUST CREDIT KARMA. THEY WILL LIE AND RIP YOU OFF. And yes when their actions lower your credit score with a hard inquiry you did not give them permission to make they not only ripped you off they Credit Karma stole your identity! FILING COMPLAINTS ON BOTH OF THEM EVERYWHERE I CAN. And contacting an attorney.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I've never done one of these before, but after multiple ridiculous discrepancies, I googled "issues with Credit Karma" and found myself here. I signed up for Credit Karma a few years ago because I wanted a free service to keep track of my scores. I've always had high credit scores, so I was appalled at how long my scores were and I worked really hard to try to get them back up by lowering balances and hopefully lowering my debt to income ratio. I hadn't had my credit run in a long time, and I trusted that Credit Karma was accurate in their numbers, so I saw no reason to independently check the scores myself.

I'd just seen it on Credit Karma and it was very low, so when we went in to try to refinance our house, I asked if my credit was going to be a problem. They asked what the score was and I told them. They asked if I'd ever missed a payment and I said no. They said it seemed unusually low for someone who has never missed a payment - even with a high debt to income ratio. My score was more in line with someone who opens and closes cards constantly, rarely makes payments on time, has very limited income, poor credit history, etc. That doesn't describe me at all so I was concerned that maybe my identity had been stolen. The bank said to wait and let them run my credit for a more detailed score.

I received my score from the bank a couple days later and it was almost 100 points HIGHER than my highest Credit Karma score. I logged in to get my own "one free credit report per year" from the big agencies - including the 2 Credit Karma claims they include, and my scores were in line with what the bank had said. One had gone up since then by 30 points because my balance went down by $1000. Credit Karma, in that same time frame, reflected a 10 point drop - from the same credit agency.

I know that Credit Karma has access to my balances and accounts, and I don't think they're scamming people or anything like that, but I do not know where they get their score information from. I have since asked a couple friends and my parents to check theirs, and they had similar experiences. My parents have near perfect credit, and Credit Karma had them in the low 700s. I just have no idea where CK is actually pulling their data from. It's supposed to be your Transunion and Experian scores (I believe), but they're so far off. It's almost like they're guessing what Transunion and Experian would give you for a score without having any actual information to back it up.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I received a troubling email saying I needed to change passwords. I was suspicious but did it anyway for one account. I have emailed them for DAYS as to what this was about and they haven't BOTHERED TO RESPOND. What a joke company. I would hate to depend on them for real monitoring. You get what you pay for... This was free and is worthless to me.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I downloaded their app and tried to sign up for their service. I put my email address in and it says there is already an account using that email. I don’t remember ever even trying to sign up for their service before. But I tried to log in anyway. I used the change my password option because I don’t know what it is because I never signed up for their service before as far as I remember. Then I tried to register my fingerprint and making up a passcode. It just says none of my information matches what’s on record so I can’t get into my account. It says to contact them at an email address they provide. I looked for a contact phone number but there isn't one. It's been a week and still no reply. Any company that doesn't have a number to call for help with problems has bad customer service.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I'm POA for 97 yr old mother in law. Name is Mary **. Her stolen SOC SEC number was used to create Credit Karma account. I WANT FAKE ACCOUNT DELETED. The valid, legal account is under this phone number. I will give more info privately. I've emailed, texted and no response. How do I achieve this. And why isn't there a report a problem link. This is serious. No safeguards. It's way too easy to get someone's personal information through Credit Karma. This is awful. Help me someone. This crazy person with fake account is causing family trauma to 97 yr old.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Yesterday 3/18/19 Credit Karma shows that my scores dropped by 38 points even though my balances decreased by $152. They falsely reported that negative remarks were added to my accounts. After calling Equifax and TransUnion upset and making a fool out of myself - I was advised to no longer rely on Credit Karma because that information was completely wrong and my scores did not decrease, and I had no negative remarks on my file. I understand that this is a free service, but why give wrong information - whats the point of adding things that are not true? The service is supposed to help people not hurt and upset them.

Original review: March 18, 2019

AWFUL! Yesterday my credit score was 756- LOL! Today it's 605... Said my mortgage increased by $1175.00 - Actually it decreased. They also have a car loan on there that was closed over 2 years ago. They show me with 11 credit accounts. Which I only have 3 - the other eight have been closed for years!!! This company should be banned/dissolved for FALSE reporting schemes... If you are smart, don't give them any of your information. I wasn't. I look at these idiots and laugh. Don't get sucked in. It's not worth the frustration.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Requires user familiarity with tax forms required, particularly the R-1099. That form is not easily available to a user, but requires the user to know they will need one or more, and then to do a search on the tax software to locate the places in which to input their individual income data. It took me some additional time to figure that out, and to edit data I had already input, then re-enter the data in the proper format on the correct input page. The new tax deductions eliminated my having to itemize which is a huge blessing! The state portion was pre-filled by the federal data already input, so that also was a great time saver.

The payment section was very transparent and easy to use as well. My refund was deposited today, 02-28-2019, which is about 2 weeks after filing - AMAZING! All in all the Credit Karma version of tax returns is average when compare to major others such as TurboTax, and the price of the application is FREE! Now having the experience of using Credit Karma tax preparation will make next year's filing significantly more convenient... That is, unless the government (Democrats) gut the current law.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Yesterday March 15, 2019 I sent an email to Credit Karma requesting an answer as to why and how my credit score with them is way higher than my actual score with TransUnion. Still waiting. Here is a quote from another reviewer "They don't provide you with a FICO credit score. They provide a TransUnion TransRisk credit score." Credit Karma's scoring is totally useless.

Credit Karma Company Information