3.06/5
Based on 153 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Credit Karma

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

182 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

These people are dealing with my tax information. There is basically no customer service except for email; and it can take several days for them to get back to you. I could not access my past tax returns and I had no recourse from Credit Karma at all. I had to get a transcript directly from the IRS. This year I found a glitch in the informs in that I have more than one mortgage creditor -- can't find a way to add another FEIN and no way to contact Credit Karma except send an email. I think I'll skip Credit Karma's "free" tax filing system -- sorry, if you are dealing with my most important financial information and I can't get support or get in touch with you, you don't get to deal with my most important financial information anymore.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Credit Karma has me with only 3 yrs. Ago credit which they show affects my credit. But I've been a member of Credit Karma since 2012? Since you can't call Credit Karma I called Transunion. They showed when I purchased my home clear back in 2006, and said only Credit Karma can fix the problem, but then they no longer are a source for credit disputes not even their own?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I used Credit Karma to do my 2017 taxes. The federal did fine although they take a picture of your w2 to enter did not work...anyway, I got the Federal done. All good. Come time to do my Wisconsin form. It tells me they are unable to do Wisconsin at this time, NOT GOOD! I emailed them and they don't know when it will be available. Had I known this I would not have used it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Credit Karma has been good for tracking my credit score, so I figured why not give it a try this year for my taxes...wrong. When e-filing taxes you must submit your federal and state through the same company, and the only way to file them separately is to e-file your federal and mail your state. It would have been great to know that e-filing for state returns in Wisconsin and Michigan are not available through Credit Karma. Every other state can file both except for those two. After filing my federal they stated that State was not available for filing yet, which would have been nice to know beforehand.

No one can seem to give me any kind of answer as to when the only two remaining states will be available for filing, and the customer service has been just terrible. Very unhappy with Credit Karma recently, and the complete lack of customer communication. I will not be using Credit Karma for taxes ever again. They really need to improve their customer service department if they are only going to offer email/chat assistance and no way to call anyone directly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have had no debt and no open accounts for more than 13 months and yet I still have a credit score of 667. Before I paid off everything my credit score was 829. Fourteen months ago I paid everything off (everything means everything including my house). Paid off my wife's F350 and closed my two credit card accounts. Neither my wife nor I have any open accounts or debt. Over the following months my credit score dropped to 664 and last month it went up to 667. WTF? In my opinion if the process was legitimate my credit score would be zero!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Avoid CreditKarma tax prep service 2017 tax year. They have error in 2017 CA state return program. It is generating bogus excess CASDI refund and after numerous calls and wasted hours they have provided no help or resolution. My CA return has been rejected 2 times. Had to revert to other tax prep service to complete CA return. The customer service chat is a joke and staffed by people who have no idea what they are doing or talking about. On top of that they are rude and stupid.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I filed my federal and state taxes with Credit Karma tax 1/27/18. I submitted both returns the same day, my federal taxes was accepted 1/30/18 and I’ve received an email about it. My state return is pending several days after to find out I’ve been rejected. I didn’t receive an email from Credit Karma tax about my state rejection, I contacted the (FTB) The California Franchise Tax Board and indeed was rejected 2/18. I was told the date it happened and to go back to my return to correct the information and resubmit e-file.

When I went back to the software online it isn’t giving me a option to edit my state for corrections, it just saying submitted, view/print returns. I contacted the software's tax chat for help several times and they also told me it was rejected and the reason. I explain to them the program will not allow me to edit my return for correction, the software isn’t acknowledging I’ve been rejected and I wasn’t sent a email about it. I ask tax chat if they can troubleshoot or speak to a live agent and they say. "No. Sorry there’s no live agent." The FTB is asking to correct my return and e-file again and I can’t send my state in mail because I’m not given a option. Credit karma needs to fix the software and get live support on hand, I probably won’t file again with them. It took too long to get accepted for my returns.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have done the 1040 EZ on Credit Karma for 2 years. In 2018 I again used them and they totally messed up my return. I reached out for technical support and got very vague reply that did not answer my question. It also took them 2 days to get back to me. Now I do not know what to do. I reached out again 02-09-18 at 6:30 a.m. EST, and they are supposed to have 24/7 expert tax advisors. Still no reply.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have been using the Credit Karma app for a few months. It SEEMS very well put together, the updates are regular and my score - according to CK - has been going up, up UP! Now well into the high 600's. So I came across a review like the one I am now writing, claiming CK is way off, so I went to Experian.com and requested my official credit reports from them, TransUnion and Equifax. My scores turned out to be in the high 500's, a difference of over 100 points! Not sure what else to say. At worst they are deceptive, at best they are obviously really bad at what they do.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The old saying "you get what you pay for" never rang so true. I tried them on a whim for my 2016 taxes. My taxes are straightforward and I've been doing them myself my whole life. Fast forward to 2018 when I attempt to do my 2017 taxes and find I need the AGI figure from my 2016 taxes to E-file. Okay- no problem. I log in, click on My Tax Forms and...Nothing!!! Going on 1 hour with the chat guy, Frankie, who says they see I filed with them, but it must be a technical error and will have to get back to me by email. Filing with TurboTax this year, which has never screwed up.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Before I started using Credit Karma my score is worse now than it was then. Credit Karma recommends to apply for such cards based on your score and rating. Then doesn't approve it then it drops your score. I think is a terrible program and is really of no use. Better off not using it. Seems like a crop of cap and scam to me. Don't recommend. It's garbage. And it has the same reports inaccurate at that.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

At first, I thought this was a good program to keep track of my credit score. The first year, my score was raising. Then after year one, I realized that every time I log into my account, my credit score lowers. I Do NOT recommend use of this program.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I've used CK free tax filing for the past 2 years. My returns are fairly simple, no need for itemized deductions any longer, except for Charitable donations. The previous 15 years I relied on TaxCut by H&R Block, which was not free (had to purchase the software, plus state filing charges) but as simple. I've not had any need to contact support, my taxes were filed and accepted in a reasonable amount of time. No receipt, product is free.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I submitted my 2017 forms 01/29/18. Within 24 hours I got a reject because I put my bank account and routing numbers in the wrong spot, easy fix. After another 24 hours same email of reject for same problem except instead of my taxes being around $8000 it said now $2000. I have 3 kids. That is impossible so I revised everything was correct. I always used Turbo and once TaxAct and before that use to go to J&H. Never had a problem because my taxes are pretty simple. No itemizing. I couldn't fix it or get help on fixing it. Now I'm sitting here with tax pending for a week Thanks to Credit Karma and yes I went somewhere else to get help but as long as they are pending with Credit Karma guess I gotta wait for the IRS to call me. Who knows because it might look like I'm trying some funny ** now. Thank Credit Karma for messing up my taxes...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I filed my taxes with CK on 01/18/18. I figured when they start accepting on the 29th mine would be done that day. I was also approved for the early bird advance. I also filed my boyfriend's on 01/27/18. His was accepted on the 29th with no problem. Here we are on 02/02/18 mine has still not been accepted. The tax chat is the worst ever. They know nothing. Just keeps telling me to basically wait. When I used Turbo Tax mine was submitted and accepted the same day. I'm not sure why it's taking so long for Credit Karma. At this point I'm frustrated because no one can tell me anything and everyone else I know that uses other companies like Turbo Tax and H&R Block have been accepted with no problems. Really thinking about filing with someone else. Just afraid that will push my wait time back even further. Very disappointed at this point.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The software is good and thorough; however, when you click file they tell you it is submitted. I have yet to see my taxes accepted by the IRS or State. I contacted them through chat (there is no live person to call). I received a generic response then disconnect. Very unhelpful. When you file electronically you are accepted within minutes to a few hours. This company is not a good way to go with filing your 2017 tax return. There is nobody to assist and it is slow. I am going to file and pay with a more legitimate tax website and let this one reject.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I had specifically filed on this website to get the early bird advance which I would not have filed had they not Prequalified me prior to filing (this is done after all your tax forms are filled out). Immediately after clicking the final button to file I received an email saying I cannot get the early bird advance. If they can send an email out almost immediately to deny it after pre-qualifying and filing, they should have denied it 2 minutes prior and I would've had the opportunity to look into an advance elsewhere. Feels like I was tricked to open the Amex/MetaBank prepaid card account (it's the only way to get early bird advance - my state refund is going to my other bank card).

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I unfortunately filed my taxes with Credit Karma on 1/26... Here it is 1/31 and NOTHING. Absolutely nothing! It's going on a week and my return has still not been accepted... I contacted customer support only to be given responses that they clearly copy and pasted. The best part is they aren't accepting state returns! How's that for false advertising. Asked customer support if there's any time frame for when they will be and got the response “idk” then asked if this was an issue last year and got told “I’m not sure”! I really want to file a completely new return with TurboTax and let this get rejected because this is ridiculous. I will stick to what I know and that's TURBOTAX! You want your taxes done right? Go to TURBOTAX!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Don't waste your time at CK. Do all your work with the real reporting agencies. You can only write 3 sentences in the Dispute "additional comments" section and every time you make a dispute there is some "technical difficulty" BS or "error". Go to the real sites and do any fixing there.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I filed on the 25th. They told me to wait until the 29th. Today is the 30th and my return is still not accepted. Everyone left and right is getting accepted within hours. They got me with that advance thing I saw while checking my credit. I used TurboTax last few years never ever had to wait this long. Just to get accepted. I’m now doing considering doing it with TurboTax and let Credit Karma get rejected. Their customer service is nonexistent. They will respond but here is an answer I got from the chat support: "Hey, how are you doing/ IRS just opened up yesterday so anywhere from 1/29/2018 – 4/15/2018 your return will be accepted/rejected. You can find more information here **…" STAY AWAY! You have been warned.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Did not disclose prior to starting returns that they were not accepting state returns, you don't find out till you hit submit for federal. When contacted via live chat they just keep closing the chat window. No real answers to your questions. Called IRS and they have no record of my federal being filed. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I learned the hard way.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I tried this free sw and found the functionality on the very low side. If you have a little more complex Tax like foreign income. Do not waste your time and use proven tax sw from Intuit or H&R Block. I think they introduced this sw to mine more data and sell it to user. They have to cover their costs. The statement from some financial news, that this will be a competitor in this market is just ridiculous. Since the tax code is so complex you certainly need a sw which will cover all situations. Otherwise the IRS will knock on your doors and you may pay hefty fines. So stay clear of this chunk.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

This is the worse place I was ever on regarding checking credit scores. I go to the discover site and other sites my scores are 100 points higher. False advertising on tv. I would never use Credit Karma to check a credit report for a dog. They are worthless and very inaccurate. They need shutdown.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have been striving to increase my credit scores, and Credit Karma all of a sudden lowers them for no reason, I have not done anything to lower my scores, they are not accurate and in my opinion they are piece of crap, maybe that's why they are free. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Also when you try and find out what happened to your scores and why they changed, you can't.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

They said my credit score was 538, which isn't the greatest. When I went to try and get a car I knew I needed a cosigner, come to find out my score is 50 points off. Will never use Credit Karma again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My credit score was 782 ("excellent") for a long time and suddenly dived to 698 on 12/10 (which Credit Karma is claiming is only "fair"). Interestingly enough, both Equifax and TransUnion scores are now the same, which I've never seen before. When I click for explanations, nothing comes up and all information is exactly as before the score plummet. When I contact them via email (the only contact option) I receive a form email with links explaining the reasons scores can change...received this twice now. As a veteran of the credit game for many decades, don't need a primer in Credit 101, just want an answer. They had plenty of my info before, why mum now? Don't like this and wonder if it's related to the current administration which seems to want us uninformed and pliable.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Do not EVER EVER EVER use these people to make a soft inquiry about being pre-approved for a credit card. The website says the pre-approval inquiry doesn't affect your credit rating. But as soon as I filled in the form and clicked Enter, I got a notification that my credit rating had dropped 58 POINTS!!! It will take me literally YEARS to work back up to the very good rating that I had.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I spent a year working on my credit using Credit Karma and Capital One’s CreditWise. I was excited to see all my hard work resulted in a score of 764 on credit karma. I went to buy a car and the dealership uses your FICO score (as do most lenders) NOT your vantage score. There was a difference of over 100 points. I was expecting to be approved with a great rate and instead I was declined. Totally embarrassing. Use your fico score instead of Credit Karma.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I originally found myself on Credit Karma's website after an unknown medical bill prevented me from getting approval on an apartment. I like that they provide you with credit ratings and report for free, provide suggestions on how to raise your credit score, and the website layout. Easy to read graphs of current credit standing and possible projections. But I dislike the amount of ads for credit cards and loans on the website, although I do understand this is to be expected when not paying for these type of services. Overall my experience has been positive.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Everything works great for me on Credit Karma's website. They do a good job and keep up the good work. I like that you can get it on a monthly basis and it appears to very accurate and up to date. I would highly recommend them and the best part is it is free. I find everything I need to know and I am very happy with the results. There are times I can't access my credit card report from the e-mail you send.

Credit Karma Company Information

www.creditkarma.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use