2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.8/5 (315 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: March 12, 2021

I am a senior citizen and a retired educator. Being of little means, on social security, I wanted something simple, secure and reliable. A few years ago when I was looking for such a way online, I stumbled across Credit Karma. Before I went there, I began the process with another online entity that advertised itself as free, but near the end of that process they asked me how I wanted to pay their processing fee! With Credit Karma, there are no games. What they advertise is what we get. I am very happy with them.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Credit Karma has given me so much help but I have build my credit score back up and I am living a much better life because of them and their help. Thank you credit karma. You are fantastic and I mean that.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Very satisfied with this service from Credit Karma. Had my return done in just a few minutes. And unlike TaxAct and TurboTax, there was no charge for my filing, state or federal. They both wanted to charge around an extra $40 to complete my filing (because I had a lottery winning). It truly is a shame since I have used TaxAct exclusively in the past.

The process was easy. Though when I tried to do it through the app on my phone, there were glitches that frustrated me. But when I decided to go to the full website, there was no problem whatsoever. I was informed that it would take a short while for confirmation that my returns were accepted by state and federal, and very happy that I had that confirmation well within 15 minutes.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have been using Credit Karma online tax service for several years, very simple to use, online help available, totally free to use, processes to IRS with quick results, regular email updates, I would definitely recommend using them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I had to quickly transfer money from Credit Karma account to my checking account at my bank. It was an easy transaction to make because the instructions were concise and easy to understand. It stated that it would take between 5-7 days to transfer but it was done in 2 days.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Credit Karma started out as a great FREE way to monitor my credit report. As time went on the adds increased for me to HELP my score by applying for a new credit card. Eventually I did just that. Immediately my score dropped. A hard inquiry being reported. But as time went by it SLOWLY regained itself back to what I felt was decent, 700, but not quite what I wanted, 750+. Due to a vehicle breaking down, I decided to use 1500. Of my new 11k credit line. To pay for repairs. I had the cash, but was contemplating buying a new vehicle and wanted to save for a down payment. Immediately my score dropped. From 749 to 713. Not what I wanted to happen at all. I ended up purchasing the new car and lo and behold my credit was just under 800. Credit Karma had been lying to me all along. Stringing me along to try harder and harder to stimulate my credit and in turn LOWER MY SCORE. CREDIT KARMA IS A JOKE!!!

Original review: May 15, 2021

I started using this for my taxes and changed my mind almost immediately. I wanted to deactivate my account and data, instructions on site did not work. I sent an email to their support and they said they would deactivate it for me. It was never deactivated! I get email after email daily from inept support people that it will be deactivated with my response. I sent them 5 responses saying to deactivate it! Today I got two more emails from different support people. This place is scary to say the least. It should be monitored by the government. It's sneaky and inept. They have too much information on you?

Original review: May 13, 2021

Chat for help doesn't work on Chrome for me. Use Firefox or some other browser. I had a problem and couldn't reach them. Other than this it is a good product. Taxes are hard, and going through the whole Credit Karma form takes a long time.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Credit Karma makes money from its advice. It kept advising me to add an additional credit card to increase my score. As soon as I did that, I get a warning email from CK that I added a credit card and that the new card "...could definitely impact your credit score (like by lowering your average age of open accounts or increasing your total number of accounts)." What gives?

Original review: April 24, 2021

As much as people are advised to use VPNs to protect themselves some incompetent sites block VPN IP ranges. Inexcusable incompetence!! Even BANKS allow me to login no problem. This shows the calloused attitude of Credit Karma, not to mention the garbage ripoff recommendations they give to people.

Credit Karma Company Information