2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.80/5

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

BOTTOM LINE

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

PROS

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

CONS

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Top Credit Karma Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it was legit… Very impressed and would use again.

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cost. I’ve been using this for the past 5 years. They also help prevent Fraud.

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
    • Reward cards
    • Travel cards
    • Cash back cards
    • 0% APR cards
    • Business cards
    • Cards for fair credit
    • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
    Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
    Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
    Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
    Has Credit Karma been hacked?
    The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
    How much is Credit Karma?
    Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: April 27, 2020

I use this free service to keep track of my credit. I get automatic notifications when my credit file is accessed or a credit check is run. I can freeze my credit files through the Credit Karma app. This is a totally free service and it's excellent for keeping track of your credit and fico scores as well.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Last year I filled out my taxes late and without any help. The app guides you through the whole process taking you with ease, step by step, lets you fill both state and federal taxes and tells your possible tax returns. In less than 15 minutes I did my own taxes, the returns were processed, approved and deposited in less than 30 days and, which is better yet, totally free.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it was legit. I did not have to use their customer service since it was easy to use but looks like they would be available for all questions. Even has protection in the event of a mistake or audit. Surprised they do not advertise this. Very impressed and would use again.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Easy to use, step by step application. They make recommendations for other credit deductions. It was free of charge as well. One thing that could make it better would be to also file state not just federal. Easy app to use and easy check in to follow the process of my funds. This is my second year using the app and have had no issues.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Credit Karma has been great at protecting my identity because they immediately notify me of any credit change on my credit report. If anyone were to attempt to gain credit I automatically receive a notification of the view of my report along with the name of the company. I am given the opportunity to notify the credit companies that it isn't me trying to gain credit. It makes me feel great knowing I can stop identity theft in its tracks.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Credit Karma continued pulling money from my bank account for their new "savings program" after I lost my job. I tried to discontinue the withdrawals, but no longer had access to my work phone so couldn't log in and this was the only option available to verify identity. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER AVAILABLE! I used their contact form on their website to report my issue and they wanted me to send photos of my DL and another form of personal id over email, and I told them I would not be doing that for security reasons and someone needed to call me to resolve this issue asap or I would be talking to an attorney.

Someone called me the next day and after many excuses including their program being new, Aaron (Manager) said he would talk with their banking people to see IF he could get my account closed and my savings refunded to my bank on the following Monday. (Yes, Aaron, the fact that my bank account is bleeding money is not important enough for you to take care of this so late on a Friday. Would hate for you to lose your "me time" this weekend. By all means, take your time.) Lo and behold, he was able to confirm my identity over the phone, without my sending photos of my ID's. I asked for a phone number in case I did not see any proof he was doing what he promised on Monday, and he told me he would not give me a number and that further communication would be through email.

I sent a request for update email on Monday and was informed they were working on it. Then, later in the week received an email saying that they were going to close my account and refund my money as I had requested and that I would not be eligible to open a savings account with them in the future. This morning, the day after I received that email, I checked my bank account and I am now almost $400 negative because of this issue. I looked at the details and at least half of that is in the form of overdraft fees because the money wasn't in my account. On top of that, they pulled ANOTHER $100 OUT THE MONDAY HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FIXING THE ISSUE!

I believe this is a legal issue because I NEVER gave them permission to pull out money on a Monday when I set the account up. It was set up to pull out money on Thursdays every two weeks, because they were paydays. No idea why they pulled out a random $100 on a random day, but I never approved this transaction and had informed Aaron that Credit Karma was not to pull another cent from my bank account. I have been researching this issue online and have found that Credit Karma has really messed up rolling out this seemingly untested product/service and people are ANGRY.

Businesses don't suddenly decide to go into the banking business without having to comply with all the same regulations and offering the same customer services that are required of an actual bank. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE'S MONEY! Also, they have been bought or are merging with Intuit and I'm not completely sure why, but I now suspect serious trouble in the past and potentially the future. There may in fact already be a class action suit. I need help. I just started two new jobs but I am seriously in deep water because I won't get paid for another two weeks and Credit Karma's irresponsible actions are digging a deeper and deeper hole in my pocket that may take me a very long time to recover from.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I've filed tax returns with Credit Karma for 3 years now. While the software is more clunky (particularly when trying to return to a given section) and the guidance less helpful than TurboTax, I was willing to spend more time googling answers in exchange for free tax filing. However, this past year not only did I have to file an amendment because Credit Karma incorrectly calculated my state income taxes and notified me thereof a month after I submitted them (almost doubling the state taxes I had to pay), but my state then assessed me for more taxes than even the amendment said I had to pay. Given these calculation errors, I'm hesitant about relying on Credit Karma in the future for my tax needs.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I’ve enjoyed CreditKarma, appreciate updates, etc however they recommended Fingerhut to build credit & that has done anything but. CreditKarma should read reviews on policies hurting consumers. For instance, fingerhut extended a “temporary credit line increase” of $700, the catch you have to use it in order to keep it. I called to request that they not do this again, so then they reduced my credit limit of $1600 down to $1000, which of course both of these moves have adversely affected my credit.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Someone stole my identity years ago and made a Credit Karma account. The thieves attempted to take out loans in my name and opened up various accounts, including a Credit Karma. The company will not delete the account and will not provide any help to me. They are extremely difficult to get in communication with and are based in another country. I emailed them dozens of times to either give me access to the account or delete it but they will not comply. Since I did not create the account, I have no way of changing the password or accessing the email it was created with. I feel that this company is victimizing me even further through lack of empathy and cooperation. Short of hiring an attorney, I feel that I have no true recourse to recover my identity from them. This is one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Horrible company!!

Original review: July 26, 2020

Credit karma is partners with Citibank credit card allowing this bank to offer pre-approval recommended credit cards...but when you apply with good credit you get denied causing an inquiry that Credit Karma holds against your scoring.

Credit Karma Company Information