2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

Credit Karma is a free service that provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma also has educational materials that help users better understand and manage their finances.

Credit Karma Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2020

Last year I filled out my taxes late and without any help. The app guides you through the whole process taking you with ease, step by step, lets you fill both state and federal taxes and tells your possible tax returns. In less than 15 minutes I did my own taxes, the returns were processed, approved and deposited in less than 30 days and, which is better yet, totally free.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it was legit. I did not have to use their customer service since it was easy to use but looks like they would be available for all questions. Even has protection in the event of a mistake or audit. Surprised they do not advertise this. Very impressed and would use again.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Easy to use, step by step application. They make recommendations for other credit deductions. It was free of charge as well. One thing that could make it better would be to also file state not just federal. Easy app to use and easy check in to follow the process of my funds. This is my second year using the app and have had no issues.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Credit Karma has been great at protecting my identity because they immediately notify me of any credit change on my credit report. If anyone were to attempt to gain credit I automatically receive a notification of the view of my report along with the name of the company. I am given the opportunity to notify the credit companies that it isn't me trying to gain credit. It makes me feel great knowing I can stop identity theft in its tracks.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

My husband and I recently applied for a reverse mortgage. We thought our current credit would be acceptable even though we had a bankruptcy two years ago because we never had a late payment on our home mortgage or our car loans, not even with the bankruptcy, but the loan officer told us she could not find any information at all on any of the standard credit reporting agencies! When we looked at our CREDIT KARMA account we realized that they DID have all the past records for our mortgage payments and car loan payments always being on time, and yes, we passed this information on to the loan officer, who was basically astounded that CREDIT KARMA had that information----made a world of difference in our final proposal for the reverse mortgage. Now, our personal opinion on this is that CREDIT KARMA is doing a better job in favor of CONSUMERS!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: June 7, 2020

I have been using Credit Karma for a few years now. I signed up to get an overview of my very less than perfect credit and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The site is easy to use, offers tips on how to improve your credit, and the information they provided about my accounts was accurate. They offer free tax filing and keep track of your information.

However, the company doesn't just advertise but recommends credit cards you qualify for based on your score. When I started to run into financial difficulty due to a large tax debt I began signing up for the recommended cards to help me juggle my finances and keep my head above water. Before I realized it I had multiple credit cards that were maxed out and it was becoming increasingly hard to meet my minimum obligations. Interestingly enough my score is still in the 540 range. Imagine my shock when I went to apply for an auto loan and the credit they pulled was nearly 200 points less!! If you want an accurate credit report I do not recommend Credit Karma as it isn't anywhere near accurate. I truly believe that there only angle is to advertise and profit from the credit card offers that they are presenting and recommending. It just goes to prove that nothing is truly free and you get what you pay for.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Using an existing account with old email that I can no longer access so I needed to get into and change email. Refused to help without me send 2 forms of identification such as state ID, military ID, birth certificate, social security card, passport, or green card Through random email. Not linked to their website, or explaining the process, or how they would be used.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I downloaded the Credit Karma app about 2 or 3 years ago because a friend recommended it. I knew I would be purchasing a vehicle so I thought it would be a good idea to help me monitor my credit. WRONG!! When I actually purchased my vehicle, my Equifax credit score was just under 100 POINTS lower than what Credit Karma was reporting!! I also received a follow up letter from my finance company confirming that they, too, saw the lower score. I immediately uninstalled the app. It is helpful for alerting you when there is an inquiry into your credit report. But I'll stick to getting my free, ACCURATE report directly from one of the major credit bureaus!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Closing the Account is Deliberately Difficult. I received an email from Credit Karma. I do not recall asking for an account as I have several years free with Experian. There is no "unsubscribe" link in the email. The link there is takes you to a general issues page and you might eventually fill out the two page form successfully - or not. On my first try the "Date of Birth" feature required me to move backward twelve months, one at a time times 70 years. Unless I entered a correct (?) date of birth I could not advance in the process. I question whether or not it's legal to offer no unsubscribe option AND no notice as to why I'm receiving their messaging.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Credit Karma has good guidelines but lacks in common sense. They offer products that are too costly. My credit card from a credit union is half the interest rate offered by suggested credit cards. I also obtained a personal loan from one of credit karma' s suggested companies and what a mistake. Went to credit union. Received lower rate and saved over $200 a month. Credit scoring doesn't look at the fact you saved lots of money per month refinancing, on loans and credit cards. They look at the fact you "closed an account". Money is being paid back faster and debt is reduced faster. So instead of being so fast to look at accounts opening and closing. How about looking at what is happening like, lower interest rates on credit cards, personal loans and mortgages. They are too quick to notice new opened accounts and not quick enough to see closed accounts that had higher interest rates.

Credit Karma Company Information