3.8/5 (550 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: June 8, 2022

Just want to thank Jack for everything he did for me. In less than 11 days of working with him, my credit score has raised high enough to be able to qualify for a mortgage loan that I was not able to get before. Besides that, he is so professional in his job, good listener and friendly that made the whole experience worth it and memorable. I strongly recommend the services of **. He can also help with recovering of Lost/Stolen Crypto (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Shiba etc.) on any Cryptocurrency App. WhatsApp no: **, he is understanding and trustworthy.

Original review: May 7, 2022

This company uses yours and my information to make money off our information but cannot give you access to your account to change an outdated phone number unless you give them information on your entire history. When you submit said information they refuse to give access on the grounds that they cannot read or see your images good enough to read. Bunch of crap. If an actual human put eyes on it they would be able to verify your identity. Bunch of lazy grifters.

Original review: April 29, 2022

On April 15 my Credit Karma spend account was locked, on April 15th I received an email that my account was closed. "Your Spend and Save accounts will be closed, and if your accounts have a balance when we close them, we will return the funds to you, via ACH Transfer to your linked bank account or by mailing." You a check, within the next five (5) business days.I still have no access to my money and it had not been transferred. I contacted MVB bank and they assisted me by having it escalated. Now credit karma states that it is under review by a specialized team that I have emailed numerous times, I need to eat and pay my bills ,

Original review: April 28, 2022

Credit Karma gave me a list of "Guaranteed Approval" credit cards. I found one of the offerings with a 0% balance transfer for 18 months and thought this would be a prime opportunity to get 3 of my remaining balances out of 19%+ interest rates taken out. So here's how this played out: I have a 720+ credit rating...well I did. I was declined for the "Guaranteed Approval" and two of my oldest credit lines suddenly closed my accounts. Their reasoning was that I was "seeking out new credit lines and they feared I would be unable to maintain my payments with them".

Poof! Two of my oldest accounts closed, and my credit rating dropped 32 points with Equifax and 30 with Transunion. I was never late on either of those accounts, one I kept at a zero balance month after month, and the other was about $300 from being zero. Both of those totaled a credit limit of $6000. This is ridiculous. Do not trust Credit Karma with anything-they are not looking out for your, just getting their advertising dollars with your click-throughs.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I should be reading reviews first before listening advice from the website with the big name. So much disappointed in this Credit Karma. I applied for the credit card as they recommended. Their recommendation said it would have high possibility of approval. But my approval was rejected, and my already low credit score will go down for another couple years. Also, their website is not accurate itself which is the bad sign itself. Under the Profile and Settings, I clicked Help Center and was told that this site does not exist. They simply do not have any customer service which a second red flag.

Original review: April 19, 2022

URGENT!!!! It's obvious the issues are no longer the customers, it's the company, I haven't been able to get into my account for several months now, I've requested for Credit Karma to have a supervisor to contact, as of today no results, I need to take action outside of credit karma, I told you many times I cannot get into my account, credit karma has failed to help, it's all over the internet that many other customers and former customers having the same issues. I'm very disappointed how credit karma hasn't resolved this issue and doesn't plan to. I use to recommend this company to several people but never again. This company won't admit the errors in the tech department but instead, sends customers the basic same troubleshoots that do not work and are not the issue. THE BLOG STATES, THAT IT MAY BE A BREACH COMING SOON, WAITING ON THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS!!!!

Original review: April 11, 2022

I liked Credit Karma for years, but once I started paying down my credit cards my credit scores dropped. In my opinion, you obtain credit cards and slowly pay them off/down then obtain new accounts, that should, again in my opinion, increase your credit scores! Well it seems to me, here lately, that paying down my credit cards makes my credit scores decrease and I'm talking 20 to 30 points. Again, in my opinion, that is absolutely disturbing.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I’ve had Credit Karma for some time now. I had my tax income deposited. Well needless to say I had fraud on my account. After 10 days I had no provisional credit. I even got email stating that I would be receiving it that day. The next day still nothing. I keep getting, "Wait til the end of day." DO NOT OPEN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. Customer service is horrible. Can't understand them and they will hang up on you if you ask for a supervisor.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I was enticed into have my TurboTax refund deposited into a new Credit Karma Spend account with the promise of $100 bonus. Needless to say, they don't make it clear that you have to set up a direct deposit to the account (i.e. paycheck recurring deposit). Thank God I didn't take it that far. So needless to say, I did not find out about this term until I questioned the lack of $100 bonus in my account and got an e-mail from customer service. I told them that that was very shady of them, and that I wanted instructions to transfer my entire balance to my checking account and to close my account.

I put the transfer in motion and was actually entertaining some credit card promotions they were promoting on the site as I was looking around. Only to read the nightmares under the reviews where the credit card companies were making it difficult for people to pay full balances online or make multiple payments a month, etc. in order to charge them ridiculous finance charges on outstanding balances. Or advertising as credit card, only to be a loan to deposit directly into your checking account for outrageous fees and financing.

Another clever thing I noticed on THIS site (and I'm not sure who makes this happen), but the readily seen reviews with looking up CK are glowing 5 star reviews from last year. Filter it by most recent and it's one star reviews as far as the eye can see. I'm glad that I didn't get in as deep as a lot of people I see on here. I believe this company should be shut down immediately. I can see this being enticing to people who might be in desperate situations or just don't know any better to read reviews... like myself.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I also was lured by the 5 day advance. They now have my refund, showing clearly on the app and webpage. BUT...I cannot attach my bank to withdraw funds. Now, 9+ hours later after contacting TurboTax, Intuit, even the IRS, I've gotten nowhere. My bank may be able to help tomorrow, but I figured this out after hours. There is no contact number for CK. Isn't that suspect?

Here's what's up; I go to the page to add my bank account, I sign in with my bank's credentials on their partner site called Plaid, all's well, then they want me to verify my identity with a second step (an icon on my bank's site I just click) here they want me to WRITE in my icon! Whaat?! So I wrote in the word key, because it was a key icon, and nothing, next try it worked and sent me to a third step, asking my favorite sports team (again, these are my bank's site settings), I type it in and it says answer incorrect, all 3 dozen times! BUT IT IS CORRECT!!! I have not bypassed that point all day, no email response back other than the one saying that they have received my complaints. I have changed icons and security answers a few times with my bank, and that doesn't work either. ****

I did find the account and routing number for where my refund went. I found it on my tax return. They replaced my acc & rout number with theirs. It's MVB bank in Allen,Texas, phone number is West Virginia. 304-368-2180. Totally unprofessional voicemail. (Eye roll) I will speak with my bank tomorrow morning and see what they can do.

ALSO: In the fine print of CK's help center they have an asterisk that states: "some banks are unable to be used an an external account". NEVER A MENTION when it took 1 minute during my tax application to offer it to me. If I would have known some banks aren't honored, I would have passed. So I really haven't gotten my money faster because I cannot attach my bank to withdraw anything.

That have a half baked webpage, no contact number, and an impossible ability to connect to my bank, yet somehow they got a hold of my refund? And TurboTax had absolutely no word on them being the possible party that had my money?! They told me to contact the IRS. (Eye roll here) The IRS was too busy on all my three dozen plus attempts to avail any help because they never answered, but only hung up on me....all. Day. Then their site wouldn't allow me any ability to even try to connect my bank due to an error message saying try again later. Absolute crud.

This should be an easy process, transferring funds. But no, CK has gone through a lot of trouble to create an unusable webpage and to keep our monies. No one seems aware of all the ** going on with this site. Here's a few links: A problem: **. An update: **. FDIC COMPLAINTS: **. CFPB COMPLAINTS: **. West Virginia consumer protection division: **. And Treasury department email: complaints@tigta.treas.gov. Credit Karma is dubious at best. Let's see how this turns out. Until then... Peace

Original review: March 4, 2022

Do not use Credit Karma. Spend account or deposit your IRS check. My account has been frozen for over a week and they are demanding my personal bank account information and driver's license photo. Only way to contact these people is through email which is very shady. I contacted a lawyer and they said no way are they supposed to be asking for this information to verify your identity. They said this is becoming a problem with online banks.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I have used Credit Karma for years. Lately though (last 3 months) I have been unable to log in or get any assistance. The site is often down and unavailable. They seem to have lost all my sign-in information. They have no record of either account (My wife's as well as my own) even though we've been using them for years. I question whether my info was lost, stolen, or sold. How can they lose all that info? I have since found several other ways to check my FICO score and they're more secure. Very frustrating. Now I REALLY do need to follow my credit VERY closely!

Original review: March 2, 2022

We have had a Credit Karma Spend/Save account for months and all was fine then out of the blue because of our spending they flag our card, even after we got in touch and unflagged our card it still continued to decline our purchases. We called three more times to get our issue resolved and all that both departments we talked to wanted to do was bounce us back and forth between them because neither of them had answers.

We finally stop and ask to speak to a supervisor who gives us the same exact run around like everyone else and tells us it's not our card that our card is fine and it's not fraudulent it's unflagged, I'd like to know then why I can't spend my money anywhere was my final question which the representative responded with an effective and clean answer of "I don't know". All of this happened after the 30+ minutes of being on the phone with a machine that didn't understand simple voice recognition or Key presses. Literally, the worst and least informative customer service experience I have ever had when it comes to banking and accessing my money.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I applied for the refund advance through TurboTax and was required to sign up for a Credit Karma spend account to receive the funds. Usually I have my refund directly deposited into my bank account. I never received the refund advance nor did I get a denial or confirmation email. I contact customer service at Credit Karma to figure out what was going on and they never responded to my online inquiries. I received the entire refund approximately 20 days after filing, could have had it deposited in my bank per usual. Every other transaction I have made on my card virtual, and physical has been flagged for fraud. I tried to call several times throughout the day, because my card gets locked every time, and got a busy tone every time. Left several online messages as well. Someone from customer service finally calls me doing their own inquiry and I confirmed the transaction.

I tried to do an online transfer so I can have enough money to make a 7,000 purchase the next day, it exceeded their 5,000 limit so the money had to come out that day. Another fraud alert not even an hour after I confirmed I am the one using the card. I then send several more messages and call to try and resolve this issue so I can buy this car the next day. Sat on hold for a hour and a half on one call and still never spoke with anyone so I could access my funds. This morning I called because now I need the full 7000 and I need to clear up this fraud stuff. The call went through, waited on hold about 40 minutes only to be told I can only get 5000 and I agree to that in the terms and conditions.

Since they prevented me from accessing 5000 the previous day I feel like they defaulted on their agreement and this needs to be resolved so I asked to talk to someone else. The customer service people are rude and you can barely understand them anyway so it is very frustrating. I would avoid using anything Credit Karma and you probably will not get the refund advance just stick with your regular bank. Not worth the headache. Once they have your money they hold it hostage. I asked about closing the account and was told they would mail me a check. Don’t go through what I went through. DO NOT USE CREDIT KARMA.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

I used Credit Karma tax for filing last year and loved it but this year they teamed up with Cash app and it was horrible, I couldn't get it on my computer even after following instructions on how to do it. I had to do it in my phone, then I couldn't put in any deductions for our 1099's, not user friendly at all. I won't be using it to do my taxes again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I have had my @CreditKarma account locked since receiving my IRS refund check. I have emailed and called @creditkarma multiple times and I get no help. They say that the group that can help me is only available by email (how stupid is that). I have provided proof to them multiple times that this is my account and my payment. No help whatsoever. Do not bank with @creditkarma.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

When you apply for the cards Credit Karma recommends for you under the heading of "Excellent Approval Odds” the benefits are explained such as 0% interest for 12 months, or a $200.00 bonus for your application, are modified and withdrawn once the application is submitted.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Credit Karma guaranteed me $50 if I was turned down for one of their guaranteed approval credit cards. I was turned down then Credit Karma sent about 10 different emails with 10 different five digit codes one after the other trying to complete Credit Karma's paperwork for the $50 reward. Needless to say the system never worked. Customer service refuse to help and I've never received the $50 reward.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I used Credit Karma for a year and couldn’t understand why my score was low and wouldn’t go up in spite of everything being perfect except one high balance card. I kept getting turned down for credit without explanation. When I went to get a home loan the bank actually talked to me and I found out my score was actually really bad and there was a very bad derogatory report from one bank. That report was wrong and it took me months to clear it up. If Credit Karma had done what I was paying them for, I would have known much sooner and could have fixed it much earlier and not had experienced so many problems. Total waste of money, and trust.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Do not use TurboTax, I sat with my friend and helped him file his taxes on TurboTax. He was routed to credit karma to get a RAL. The money was deposited into Credit Karmas' money spend account and they froze his account. Nobody at Credit Karma will help him on the phone. They send him a email telling him to send them a bank statement from his primary bank account so they can have access to his banking info. Everybody is overseas. They're stealing people's taxes, and Turbo Tax is allowing them to do it through them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I'm so upset that Credit karma IS NOW Cash App and you are force to download the app. After you're done your refund will go to Cash App. And if you want to transfer your refund money from Cash App to your bank it will charge you a fee. Are you kidding me! I been using Credit Karma for years but after this I will not longer use this.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

The whole idea sounds great, you get to see your credit score, which is never accurate. All of your credit accounts usually are correct. However, this is where I get upset. They promote promising outstanding approved offers from lenders, describe the APR and monthly payment which always look great. Proceed filling out the application, which says won't hurt your credit scores, yet they run your credit because I have to lift my freeze. Once all done, the APR are crazy high, monthly payments too. So, I back out. It was a lie from the get-go. They have all of my info, my debt ratio, I have a higher credit score than what CK states, income is higher than what they had originally, I have never missed a payment in over 5 yrs, I have paid off several loans, I am not a risk, far from it, so it is a bunch **.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Well Credit Karma definitely disappointed me. I been with them many years and never had to use their customer service. Well I did and the only One thing I needed, for my phone number to be changed, it didn't happened, after numerous of times sending verification of who I was even though it was my account. They kept asking more and more while saying yes I can accept that, that's when I said enough is enough, close my account and wow horrible customer service. They're not trying to help you. I felt like they were trying to steal my identity. Felt discriminated because I'm a Hispanic, a woman. They were unprofessional, had no compassion, I'm very disappointed on credit karma. They just made me have a headache and now worried because of the verification I sent them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Open the bank account with Credit Karma. Worse mistake I ever made. I had my paycheck direct deposit into their account yet went to the ATM and was not able to withdraw my money to pay my rent. Called credit karma. Spoke to three Representatives. Customer service one hung up on me. Spoke to two supervisors from 5:00 till 10:00 at night. Had me running to the ATM to keep trying different things because it would not physically let me pull out money. I had to go to the pawn shop in between this and take my chain off in order to pay my child's daycare. Rent is due so now I got hit with another $100 late fee due to their financial institute. It is their responsibility because it is not my fault that their system would not let me withdraw my own money. They take no responsibility and reimbursement.

They created more debt for me and my family. I had to pawn my own jewelry in order to come up with my child's daycare. Now I also have to pay another extra hundred on late fees. They could not fix the situation. Had me go to the ATM multiple times and every time it would not let me withdraw my money. They have no time frame how they're going to fix the situation. They transfer me from department to department. From fraud department to the Visa department. Nothing was wrong on my end. They have my money yet I was not able to withdraw then every time that you have to call them back you have to wait an hour to get in touch with somebody.

The worst thing is they could not explain to me why this is happening. It's a problem with their system and they have no reason. They will not reimburse you for any fees on their part. I could understand if it was my fault but it's not. Whatever whoever decides to open a bank account with them I highly suggest not to. I was trusting in them because of their name. I have no longer faith in credit karma at all. From 5:00 in the afternoon till 10:00 at night and I'm still waiting to hear back from tech support because that department you have to email them. Very horrible banking. I really will tell anybody do not do it. It's not worth it. They put me more in debt than anything.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I have been using Credit Karma for years now. They've really helped me maintain my credit score, and helped me get a new credit card. The home buying portion of the site is also super helpful, and I have enjoyed the services they offer. Doing my taxes last year was a breeze, but this year, because they are now going through Cash App, filing my taxes has been a nightmare! You must have a smartphone, have the space to download a new app AND be able to access last year's tax return, which shouldn't be a problem, because Credit Karma stores all the forms you've filed with them. Or they used to. Now in order to view last year's taxes, you have to contact an advisor on the Cash App.

What used to be an easy process is now taking me forever and I would have been better off to simply file my taxes on the IRS website than go through this hassle. While I recommend Credit Karma for keeping an eye on your credit score, getting loan, card, and mortgage offers, I highly recommend you seek elsewhere to file your taxes from now on. Completely disappointed in this 'update', especially as someone who used to work for an accounting firm. This was an unnecessary step for them and has made this tax season incredibly frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Due to the recent commercials Credit Karma has been playing I am no longer going to be using credit karma and will be logging out and uninstalling my credit karma account. It's a shame that you try to play politics with a good product and a good idea and you throw all your customers into a less than one percentile category.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I ordered food online with my new Credit Karma Debit card. The store closed unexpectedly. I never received my order. Yet, Credit Karma denied my claim for reimbursement. I do not have money to give away. Credit Karma stood with the business and did not PROTECT me, their customer or my Money from this unethical establishment.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I made my 200 deposit when I logged on to the secure credit site kept asking for another 200. It is a scam to take your money and you get bad credit if you don't pay up. They do not help at all. They only become an additional problem for your pocket and credit report.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I received an email from Credit karma a few months ago, stating that if I signed up for direct deposit before December 2021, a bonus of $150 would be added to my money spend account. Late December I called, credit karma because the deposit wasn't showing on my account, I was asked to send them a screenshot of the advertised bonus, I have complied with every request, screenshot of emails etc.....next, I was told that the $150 bonus would be on my account on 01/06/2022, today is 01/11/2022 still no deposit. I emailed credit karma again, and again they want "screenshots" of the email, and "will get back with me". They even asked ME to send THEM screenshots of THEIR TERMS AND AGREEMENTS, this hamsterwheel is unbelieveable, and I'm jumping off NOW, they can keep the bonus.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I have been subscriber to Credit Karma for years. I have excellent credit with a FICO score of just short of 800. I took the advice of Credit Karma when they made a recommendation for a Chase Bank credit card. I signed up for it and received it in a timely manner. My credit limit on that particular card was $1200. Several months later, I decided to use the Chase Bank card for an online purchase of $359. I was horrified to find that my FICO credit score as per both Equifax and Transunion DROPPED by 19 full points. That one small transaction reduced my FICO score more than buying a car or putting on several thousands of dollars on my other main credit card. Needless to say, I paid off that card immediately and canceled that card within hours. DO NOT EVER SIGN UP FOR ANY CARD CREDIT KARMA RECOMMENDS OR ADVERTISES!!!

Credit Karma Company Information