2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.80/5

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: July 18, 2020

I will not be using Credit Karma as it actively prohibits the use of VPN online. Most people access the site on their cell phones and VPN is essential in this era of online theft and privacy issues. Also, I read that many of these online sites are gathering and selling customer information. Have instead turned to Credit Sesame, which allows me to use VPN. Get with the times Credit Karma and stop ripping off your customers.

Original review: July 9, 2020

We used one of our available credit cards for convenience only to pay a large purchase. We routinely pay off our credit card balances to zero. My credit score was reduced by double digits because of this charge, which was paid off upon receipt of the statement. What is the purpose of having credit cards for convenience instead of paying by cash or check? Credit Karma appears to be trying to influence me to subscribe to their services by manipulating my credit score. I am not interested!

Original review: July 7, 2020

First let me say I have been on Credit Karma for years. I get offers to apply for several credit products that does not hold my best interest at hand with credit karma. The financial institutions they use are very high interest rates and credit karma should be here to help you not get into more debt with high interest rates, but they pitch them to you as if they will help but the they will not. You will get a better rate somewhere else but not with credit karma companies that pay to be on their site.

Secondly, every time I pay off an account I get any email from credit karma asking if I closed the account. Now when you close any account it will cause your credit to drop. I have never closed an account and you can not dispute it with credit karma because they do not have a customer service department. It appears that the companies close the account, and they do not show that it was a paid off account. Because it is not a revolving credit line the company will close the account, and credit karma will take off for it and your credit score will drop.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I assumed CreditKarma (CK) was correct and interestingly enough, it never altered. Constantly reporting daily updates, and stating what I could do to better my score. Using these score as a determining factor, I applied for a mortgage. It was determine my score reported in by TU actually is 819 while Ck had my transUnion score as 690.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I notice that I have been getting emails from financial providers which I’d never sign or gave permission on loan application. No signature’s or anything that’s obvious if I am referencing digital documentation. Also, contacting them is extremely horrible, trying to remove myself from there data base is difficult.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I have been using Credit Karma for a few years now. I signed up to get an overview of my very less than perfect credit and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The site is easy to use, offers tips on how to improve your credit, and the information they provided about my accounts was accurate. They offer free tax filing and keep track of your information.

However, the company doesn't just advertise but recommends credit cards you qualify for based on your score. When I started to run into financial difficulty due to a large tax debt I began signing up for the recommended cards to help me juggle my finances and keep my head above water. Before I realized it I had multiple credit cards that were maxed out and it was becoming increasingly hard to meet my minimum obligations. Interestingly enough my score is still in the 540 range. Imagine my shock when I went to apply for an auto loan and the credit they pulled was nearly 200 points less!! If you want an accurate credit report I do not recommend Credit Karma as it isn't anywhere near accurate. I truly believe that there only angle is to advertise and profit from the credit card offers that they are presenting and recommending. It just goes to prove that nothing is truly free and you get what you pay for.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Using an existing account with old email that I can no longer access so I needed to get into and change email. Refused to help without me send 2 forms of identification such as state ID, military ID, birth certificate, social security card, passport, or green card Through random email. Not linked to their website, or explaining the process, or how they would be used.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I downloaded the Credit Karma app about 2 or 3 years ago because a friend recommended it. I knew I would be purchasing a vehicle so I thought it would be a good idea to help me monitor my credit. WRONG!! When I actually purchased my vehicle, my Equifax credit score was just under 100 POINTS lower than what Credit Karma was reporting!! I also received a follow up letter from my finance company confirming that they, too, saw the lower score. I immediately uninstalled the app. It is helpful for alerting you when there is an inquiry into your credit report. But I'll stick to getting my free, ACCURATE report directly from one of the major credit bureaus!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Closing the Account is Deliberately Difficult. I received an email from Credit Karma. I do not recall asking for an account as I have several years free with Experian. There is no "unsubscribe" link in the email. The link there is takes you to a general issues page and you might eventually fill out the two page form successfully - or not. On my first try the "Date of Birth" feature required me to move backward twelve months, one at a time times 70 years. Unless I entered a correct (?) date of birth I could not advance in the process. I question whether or not it's legal to offer no unsubscribe option AND no notice as to why I'm receiving their messaging.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Credit Karma has good guidelines but lacks in common sense. They offer products that are too costly. My credit card from a credit union is half the interest rate offered by suggested credit cards. I also obtained a personal loan from one of credit karma' s suggested companies and what a mistake. Went to credit union. Received lower rate and saved over $200 a month. Credit scoring doesn't look at the fact you saved lots of money per month refinancing, on loans and credit cards. They look at the fact you "closed an account". Money is being paid back faster and debt is reduced faster. So instead of being so fast to look at accounts opening and closing. How about looking at what is happening like, lower interest rates on credit cards, personal loans and mortgages. They are too quick to notice new opened accounts and not quick enough to see closed accounts that had higher interest rates.

Credit Karma Company Information