2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.77/5

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Credit Karma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: June 5, 2020

Using an existing account with old email that I can no longer access so I needed to get into and change email. Refused to help without me send 2 forms of identification such as state ID, military ID, birth certificate, social security card, passport, or green card Through random email. Not linked to their website, or explaining the process, or how they would be used.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I downloaded the Credit Karma app about 2 or 3 years ago because a friend recommended it. I knew I would be purchasing a vehicle so I thought it would be a good idea to help me monitor my credit. WRONG!! When I actually purchased my vehicle, my Equifax credit score was just under 100 POINTS lower than what Credit Karma was reporting!! I also received a follow up letter from my finance company confirming that they, too, saw the lower score. I immediately uninstalled the app. It is helpful for alerting you when there is an inquiry into your credit report. But I'll stick to getting my free, ACCURATE report directly from one of the major credit bureaus!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Closing the Account is Deliberately Difficult. I received an email from Credit Karma. I do not recall asking for an account as I have several years free with Experian. There is no "unsubscribe" link in the email. The link there is takes you to a general issues page and you might eventually fill out the two page form successfully - or not. On my first try the "Date of Birth" feature required me to move backward twelve months, one at a time times 70 years. Unless I entered a correct (?) date of birth I could not advance in the process. I question whether or not it's legal to offer no unsubscribe option AND no notice as to why I'm receiving their messaging.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Credit Karma has good guidelines but lacks in common sense. They offer products that are too costly. My credit card from a credit union is half the interest rate offered by suggested credit cards. I also obtained a personal loan from one of credit karma' s suggested companies and what a mistake. Went to credit union. Received lower rate and saved over $200 a month. Credit scoring doesn't look at the fact you saved lots of money per month refinancing, on loans and credit cards. They look at the fact you "closed an account". Money is being paid back faster and debt is reduced faster. So instead of being so fast to look at accounts opening and closing. How about looking at what is happening like, lower interest rates on credit cards, personal loans and mortgages. They are too quick to notice new opened accounts and not quick enough to see closed accounts that had higher interest rates.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have to give it to Credit Karma for the truly free tax return prep. However, if you're relying on their scores at the auto finance table, prepare to be surprised. The two scores Credit Karma showed for me consistently, with no change, were 781 and 782. Imagine my surprise when they ran my credit and it was 732. Fifty point difference. It's a fun little service to play with but it is NOT your loan application score by far.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I absolutely love their service and have really I do not have any complaints, although I wish I would be able to build individual profiles under one account and connect my whole family under one account.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I use this free service to keep track of my credit. I get automatic notifications when my credit file is accessed or a credit check is run. I can freeze my credit files through the Credit Karma app. This is a totally free service and it's excellent for keeping track of your credit and fico scores as well.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Credit Karma offered a $300 sign up bonus if I spent more than $1,000 in the first few months of receiving my Discover Card, which I did. I never received the bonus. When I contacted Discover Card customer support said they knew nothing about it. After several emails to Credit Karma I was told other conditions might apply and was told to contact Discover Card. I will never apply for another card through Credit Karma and will never use my Discover Card again. Please be aware of the bait and switch scam they are conducting.

Original review: April 23, 2020

Everything is good until they asked for proof of identification when I got locked out of my own account. There was nothing wrong with it so what happened to the old account. I already identified the first time with adequate information. Now you want things I don’t need to share or give....suspicion now and I was too trusting. If I could go back once they started asking for more identification I should have just left it alone. The concept is great. The website is helpful. I don’t think it’s FREE in the long run. They state Free but in the sense of no money upfront. Signing up not the problem. It’s what they ask for making you the owner create another account (this is not good business practice and deceptive). Now it’s open for Someone to ?.... You fill in the blanks. I’m disappointed. I really like the site. I would have paid a small fee if the company was honest and upfront. Now I don’t trust it anymore. I won’t do business through them like I was going to.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I went to Credit Karma's free tax filing service this year, but was unable to get past the page where you consent to give away all of your tax information to marketers. This is in spite of the fact that it says right there on that page that they cannot force you to consent in exchange for filing your taxes for you. I chatted with their online support, but they wanted to email me instead. When they did email me, they told me to just go ahead and consent if I wanted to continue. Maybe they figure that the government is too busy to chase after them, but it's not legal, and certainly uncool. They should make their money some other way, not by taking advantage of the virus shutdown to milk more information and money out of folks.

Credit Karma Company Information