Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Credit Karma Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Had a 98% approval based on Credit Karma's recommendation so based on that percentage I selected the card (there is no visible disclaimer). I was denied and it dropped my score. I complained to credit karma then they sent me this long letter saying they know. It's disappointing... Beware of their advertising. They are paid to put offer these products with no regard for your credit.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They said I was preapproved for a consolidation loan. What I owe is on unsecured debt!! They want to use my car as collateral. How?? It’s a 2019!! With a a big loan!! I hate false representation!! They lied!! They represent the loan company so I take it to be Credit Karma’s fault!! BS company.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

This company has two mistakes on my credit report. I have tried to contact them and they do not return emails. Also have no phone number to call them. They have false information so i would advise to stay away from them. You cannot contact them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Credit Karma disappointed me. After I raised my points to 648, because I made my car payments on time and when I paid the total... Credit Karma took away 60 points, because I closed the account when I paid the total.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been a Credit Karma user for many years. So, when they announced their new Savings Account offering I jumped on it. Only to get an error at completion "We weren’t able to create your account. Sorry for any inconvenience. Please check that your account and application information is correct. Thank you for your interest in Credit Karma Savings!". I contacted the customer service department to get a better understanding of the error and what I might have missed in my application.

Response I received "We do not have any specific details on the exact reason why; all we can tell you is that you will be unable to open a Savings account." If you do not have the infrastructure ready, do not release an offering.. This customer service interaction was insufficient and unhelpful. I am sure with a better question re-routing in place, I and the customer service rep could have wasted a lot less time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I went to check my credit report and somehow, without realizing it, I opened a Credit Karma savings account. I immediately attempted to close it. No phone or email for support.. just a series of links that take you to an online request form. I filled it out, but when I got to the date of birth, a pop up appeared with current month and year instead of a keyboard. I had to scroll backwards over 30 years worth of months to get to my birth date - which I grudgingly did. It entered my dob but it entered it into the form in the wrong format. I submitted my request anyway and received a message saying it was not submitted, with a linked suggestion to email support. I clicked the link and was taken back to the original faulty form.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

The Credit Karma scores are inaccurate - they recommend that you use the credit bureau score. Credit Karma was off by more than 160 points. Worse than that they bounced my score from 640 to 800 every other month. Something is wrong with their scoring system. I do not trust this company.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I did my 2017 taxes with Credit Karma Tax. I was irregularly employed that year, but had historically relied on similar tax preparation software to calculate my tax bill, and figured Credit Karma would be an adequate free substitute. This was a stupid gamble. Credit Karma's software failed to calculate any Self Employment Tax on my return, despite the fact that 80% of my income for the year came from a 1099. As a result, I underpaid my taxes by over $5000, and incurred a $1600 penalty a year and a half later. Subsequent searching revealed several threads on Reddit complaining that Credit Karma wasn't calculating any Self Employment Tax on users' returns, so it seems like this was a common issue.

I've tried contacting Credit Karma, and have received nothing but form responses that don't address anything specific to my email. I responded negatively but politely to a subsequent request for feedback on their customer service, and have received no response. In short, Credit Karma gets my vote for this year's worst company in America.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I consistently have a high credit score. I know when to best close a credit, but I thought I'd checked Credit Karma to see what they have to say about the best way to close an account. I have one horrible cc I want to close. Much to my surprise, they said NOTHING about the best way to close an account. They said NOTHING about the process, only that you should be careful. The only advice was that it might be good to close a account with high interest and fees and that you can close an account with a balance, HUH??? All fluff, no real advice.

So, if Credit Karma is aiming their service to young people, think about it 20 somethings before you give them your email address. Find another source for advice, perhaps from an old guy like me. I've been working credit cards deals for years. As such, I never worry about a major expense. Knowing how to "work it" has served me well. You don't need Credit Karma, as every credit card is now offering free credit scores. Don't take the hook, look what they offer first and don't give them your email address. Then sign up if you like it. Ironically, when I pay of my last c card deal, my credit score will probably go down.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Be very wary of the "score" Credit Karma provides - it is not at all accurate. It is overinflated significantly by a good 50 points! It's trickery at its finest. I applied for a card based on their recommendation and my "score" which seemed pretty decent only to be denied. It seemed odd so I checked my score directly with the credit bureaus and saw that it was considerably lower than what credit Karma was showing! No wonder I was denied, however, the process of applying and getting denied cost me another hit to my credit! This site is actually extremely detrimental to your score if you are trying to raise it. DO NOT GO BY THE SCORE THEY SHOW YOU. It is a racket designed to hock high interest credit cards to unassuming people. They should be sued for this activity.

Credit Karma Company Information