Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.45/5

388 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

Be aware that CK derives their revenue from lenders. I have hard credit pulls on my credit report as a result of clicking on Credit Karma's "don't worry, this won't affect your credit" links to various lenders. Extremely misleading practices like this are counterproductive for credit rating improvement, to say the least. The bottom line is that Credit Karma's "free" service is anything BUT that, due to its effect on my credit score.

Original review: March 14, 2019

After finishing my federal return, I cannot log back in to print it out. CK is supposed to call my phone with a verification code but I never get the call. There is no way to speak with customer service by phone, as no number is listed. All I could do was email customer service and get dumb answers back which had nothing to do with the problem. Never again.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Signed up, gave them personal info and now I can't sign in. Tells me that my email or password are incorrect. Reset my password multiple times and it still won't let me sign in, giving me the same message. Makes me kind of nervous that they have my personal info now to be honest. Wish I had read these reviews first.

Original review: March 14, 2019

They provide false information based upon a 2-12 month queue. I have seen this for myself on CCs, to homes lone etc. They update when they feel the need to do so. Not what the real active credit scores are. One account still shows that I am in debt on a CC $700+ when actually 6 months later it was $56 in debt not what they were showing. The house I can understand and car as well which I am up on. And have been for over a year now. Went from the 700s to now 550 o 650+. The company who states that this is your credit score when it is not by far when I bought the home over a year ago. My cred was showing 740+ when pulled it was 850 from the real world. Karma, you will get yours in a class action.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I’m just shocked at how “off” Credit Karma is on the accuracy of our scores. No one uses the vantage score technology that Credit Karma uses. You’d be better off going to myFICO if you really want your true credit score that lenders actually use. Oh and also, car lenders and mortgage companies hate Credit Karma because their scores are so off from real scores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had some credit issues a couple years ago and was working very hard to bring my credit up. I installed Credit Karma on my phone to monitor my credit activity. I put a freeze on my credit reports. On Credit Karma, my scores increased and continued to increase. I was very proud of myself and the hard work I put in to build my credit so I could buy a house. When I went to the mortgage lenders, I told them my credit score from Credit Karma. BUT WHEN THEY RAN MY CREDIT MY SCORE WAS 100 POINTS LOWER THAN ON CREDIT KARMA. Not a small change, but a substantial one that significantly impacted my rate. I was devastated! Needless to say, if you are simply monitoring your credit for new accounts being opened, accounts going to collections, or accounts being closed, it's ok. But DO NOT trust the score on Credit Karma.

Original review: March 12, 2019

This is for all you 3-star-review readers who look to these for some balanced reviews. As of March 12, 2019, I read all the reviews 'cause a friend of mine warned me against Credit Karma. Here's what I found. The vast majority of 1 and 2 star reviews have the same style of writing, sentence structure and paragraph structure. I give "them" credit 'cause they are all good grammar, no misspellings (like that!), begin with a short pithy declarative sentence, have two paragraphs of about the same length, and end the 2nd paragraph with a similarly expressed statement of their disgust with CK.

I also found this suspect -- many were submitted once a day, one day right after the other. What's more, none of them repeat the same complaint as you might expect of a business with some standout problems. Instead, they combine to trash every aspect of Credit Karma's services across the board and they assume a rather similarly sophisticated understanding of each product that I wouldn't expect typical reviewers to express (sorry if that insults you (us) typical reviewers).

In all fairness, many of the 5 stars tend to be similar as well but there aren't many of them to compare. SO, I don't have an axe in this fight other than to say I did file my 2018 taxes with CK, which included reporting dividends, capital gains (from only 1 source not a bunch) and it was easily a 4 or 5 star experience. Now I don't know how it will turn out but I will, soon.

I wrote this mostly 'cause I want to believe CK, since it is free, can be trusted to do a good job and I hope it can be. Plus, it angers me that a free service would be beat up by the much pricier big boys. Plus I wanted to see what impact writing a review about the reviews might have. I will close on a final note. Most of the 1 and 2 star reviews rarely if ever reveal any of the reviewer's own egos using lots of "I" statements, which for example, mine clearly does. Perhaps another reason to distrust them.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I completed my federal refund and submitted it. No problem. Had to wait weeks and weeks for my state to be accepting tax forms from Credit Karma. Finally, I got my state taxes completed. However, the refund was considerably smaller than I'd anticipated. I checked the PDF of my 2017 taxes from TurboTax and the PDF of my 2018 taxes from Credit Karma, and I noticed that CK only had me fill out one form for state taxes! On my 2017 return, there were forms on there that said I was required to file them each year, and Credit Karma wasn't going to have me do so.

I decided to chat with their help desk. The first person was incredibly unhelpful and when I asked about it she literally copy and pasted a huge chunk of text that was a run-on list of ALL the tax forms that Credit Karma supports and then abruptly ended our session. I was floored. The next person was much kinder and informed me that Credit Karma doesn't support the tax forms that I'm *required* to file.

Next step- redo my taxes with TurboTax. And wow- both my federal AND my state return went up by a few hundred bucks. Worth the fees of TurboTax- I still walk away with more money in my pocket. It stinks that I have to amend my federal return, but in the end I walk away with more money. Love Credit Karma for watching my credit score; never ever use their tax filing again!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Credit Karma provided suggestions on how to lower my mortgage payment, one of them a 15 year fixed rate mortgage through Chase. Interest rate at 3.62%, no fees, and fixed payment, so I applied directly through Credit Karma. I received a call from Chase, and provided my credit score so they could hold off on doing a hard check. My offer came back at 3.8%, a mortgage payment $300 more than Credit Karma suggested, and fees of almost $2500! When I told Chase about the offer specifically through Credit Karma, I was put on hold, the reply was that that rate/mortgage offer does not exist. I am glad they did not pull my credit report! Thanks a lot Credit Karma, for nothing!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Decided to try filing w/ Credit Karma. What a mess! Kept trying to give me a $12k refund when should've been $1600 & the EIC when we don't qualify. No way to delete the tax form and create a new one. Even tried deleting the data & re-entering but the same bad data kept coming back over and over again. Tried reaching out to the company to ask about resetting/deleting my tax form but gave up after spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to find it. Just kept getting rerouted to their "FAQ'S". Finally just went w/ an online filing company that charges but it was well worth the fees to have the peace of mind that everything was filed correctly. I've done our taxes for years so I have the experience to know when a blatant error is coming up. I feel for anyone who doesn't have such experience and then risks filing through Credit Karma.

Original review: March 8, 2019

So I filed my taxes through Credit Karma and thw it's took my 9740 $ refund for offset school loans the whole entire thing. ** CREDIT KARMA. I will let every know how they decide you asholda es. I hate them so much ruined my life.

Original review: March 8, 2019

It's free. It's simple to use. It just works. Unless your tax situation is complicated an online provider like Credit Karma can streamline the process and has an impressive knowledge base.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I was told by a lender that the amount I owed on various cards lowered my credit score, and Credit Karma could tell me how to raise my score. Credit Karma's idea was to send me offers for over a dozen different credit cards, most of them wanting annual fees. I owe too much so I should spend more? None of the offers included balance transfers, which would only consolidate debt anyway, not lower it. Thanks loads. This is just a way for advertisers to collect data, don't waste your time.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Tried email support as well as chat. All gave me a canned answer which failed. Two different chat persons just disconnected while I was typing and when I hit enter a new agent was assigned. I finally solved my own problem which was very basic and no one in support knew the answer. I think they do a database search of your question and send you the results. No interest in customer satisfaction will be their demise. Free sw is also free of any support so back to my purchase of sw.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I am receiving multiple emails forwarded to me by a distant relative from Credit Karma updating my credit updates and personal information. I have never met this person. After reaching out to Credit Karma at least 4 times I’ve only received generic templates that have nothing to do with my problem.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

You can't opt out of promotional emails, and they send a lot of them. This is their exact response to my email about this matter: "If you decide to turn off email communications, it will turn off all email communications including credit monitoring and identity monitoring. Thanks!! Credit Karma Member Support."

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Is it Credit Karma or the 3 credit bureaus? Seems like I work to improve my report from Credit Karma and it will be slowly going up as I pay down my debts then I get some overtime and I pay down my debts by a thousand dollars and my credit score drops 20 points. This has happened 3 times, I don't know who to blame but this seems to all be a game and I'm being played with.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I tried at least five times over the last 6 months to dispute an account through Credit Karma website. No success! I got an email about 2 months ago. "Currently, it looks like our system is having difficulty filing Direct Disputes for your account. I apologize for the inconvenience, but this appears to be a temporary issue." That was Jan 10 2019 and today's is Feb 19 2019 and it still isn't working. These appear to be features that attract (bait) customers but in reality they don't work. Just appearances.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

At first, I was pleased with how easy it was to enter all of my information and the fact that it was completely free, until I finished my Federal Taxes and was told at the end of completion that they were not accepting state tax returns for the state of Wisconsin. I then became very concerned and contact them directly, however, they do not use phone services and I didn't receive a response until two days later via email saying: "Credit Karma Tax is not yet open for filing with Wisconsin. Each year, every state has new laws that our software needs to abide by. We are working with the state to be available very soon.

While there is no set date on when your state will be available for e-filing with Credit Karma Tax, if your email settings are on, we’ll send you an email to notify you as more states become available for filing with Credit Karma Tax." It's been about a week and the status for Wisconsin has not yet changed, mind you, I was not notified that they were not accepting state taxes at the moment. I'm quite anxious and hope it wasn't a scam, let alone, I really hope I don't have to amend my taxes and wait even longer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This tax software does not support many common situations people may have. I did my whole tax return, only to have to abandon it and start over with someone else because they can't handle RMDs that are donated to charity. Thanks for wasting my time, Credit Karma.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My tax return was rejected because the Credit Karma software does not automatically generate form 8283 which is needed for the package. Form 8283 is not listed on site as one of the forms that is not supported, so in theory it should have been populated with the other tax forms. The software does not recognize this as an internal mistake and keeps asking me to log in to correct my tax return. I contacted support on 2/12 and the auto generated response indicated that they will respond "as soon as they can".

Meanwhile it's 2/15 and I have not heard anything yet. This is where credit karma does not shine; in a situation where you really need to talk to someone so that they can fix their error. Or even if this is a systemic problem, there should still be some kind of PR message indicating they are aware of it and in process of fixing it. I am trying to decide whether to go to a different efile service just because I do not know if I will get a reply from Credit Karma.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Filing my taxes with Credit Karma seemed like a good idea, and relatively simple, until I had a question. The "live chat" option was a joke... It took 15 minutes of waiting for a chatter to actually start talking to me, and after answering my question incorrectly, actually told me they didn't have the answer to my question! (Luckily I got the answer elsewhere online.)

Once my taxes were filed, I emailed Credit Karma with another question, and a week late, still had no reply. Re-emailed the same question, and now (two weeks after the initial email) STILL haven't received an answer. I like Credit Karma for the other services they provide (free credit report monitoring), but will NEVER use them for filing my taxes again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Because of the tax changes, Credit Karma told me through a few chats that Rhode Island was not yet accepting electronic returns. That isn't true. They've been accepting them since the last week in January. I've always used Credit Karma, so I automatically went to their site and filed my daughter's Federal return. Unfortunately, they wrote, "We're not filing your State's returns at this time, but please sign up for our email notification." Well, I've been waiting for over two weeks now.

When I asked Mary to let her higher ups knows they should state BEFORE you file a Federal return, "Please check to see if we are filing your state's returns before you file your federal return," she tried to blame it on Rhode Island. I contacted the Division of Taxation. They told me Credit Karma has failed to update their forms, and that's why they can't do Rhode Island's. PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATE'S DIVISION OF TAXATION WEBSITE BEFORE YOU FILE YOUR TAXES ELECTRONICALLY. My daughter is eligible to file FREE from all the sites RI has listed. They DON'T have Credit Karma. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I used this site for its Tax filing help. I have been unable to log in to my account for a week. They have no general service phone number. They have no online chat feature. The password reset process flat out does not work. Requests for email help through the website gets you zero calls or emails back. Funny how after I create an account and submit personal information my account gets locked and I get zero help from this fly by night credit website. Do not waste your time, very negative customer experience. Now I have to make sure my identity is not getting stolen!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I joined Credit Karma, thinking it would be good to monitor my credit. I kept seeing the commercials about it being a free service and figured I'd try it. On my credit profile, it was recommended that I apply for a credit card and that I had very good approval odds based on my score. I applied for the card and got rejected, my credit score went down 17 points because of the hard inquiry from the application. I never would've applied for that card if it hadn't been suggested to me by Credit Karma. They have no customer service phone number to contact them and they haven't responded to my emails. I'm very unhappy with this "service".

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

You do NOT want to file your taxes thru Credit Karma. There are serious flaws in the calculations of this program. The one that applied to me meant losing $200 of what is owed to me re - my Fed return. Ex. - HSA account contributions and distributions are NOT taxable. However, the CK filing system is taxing me on the amount that I spent on medical payments after I selected the option stating that I did spend the money on qualified medical payments. (I have receipts and the document from the IRS that lists the qualified expenses.)

I have contacted CK support repeatedly, and keep getting the run-around. One chat support rep told me that recent Tax Reform laws now make my disbursements taxable. When I advised her that she is totally incorrect, that it states as such on the IRS website, she then in so many words accused me of lying about claiming that I spent the HSA funds on qualified medical expenses. She was giving out false info, did not know what she was talking about.

I have a ticket open re - this issue, but no one is getting back to me. I am done! Who knows what other mistakes in calculations this program is creating. Worst yet, you cannot delete your tax return file from the system. That is MY PERSONAL INFO. CK should not be able to hold my tax return info hostage. I... AM... DONE... with CK. Don't get me started on the flaws with the rest of their services - incorrect scoring, partnerships with companies that are rip-offs, promises that you will get approved for something that you won't, etc.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My Credit Karma account was hijacked by someone else. I cannot get anyone from Credit Karma to reply to my emails. If it's that easy for someone to take over your account I would recommend you NOT use this so-called free service. I am very frustrated and worried about what they are going to do with my information now.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I like to do my income taxes and then do them with another software to see the comparison. I did mine with OLT.com, the IRS recommended site, and owed nearly a $1000. I did it with Credit Karma and owed nothing, but that isn't all of it. I had 11 stock trades this year. I filled in the form that had room for 10 trades, to do the 11th, I had to *add rows*. That added 10 more rows. I filled in the 11 and was ready to go to the next part and it wouldn't let me unless I filled out all 9 additional rows. I used their online support and the fellow, Dewayne, told me to use the edit button. There was no edit button.

I told him their software was just too buggy and he more or less suggested I get a pencil and form and do it by hand so I cut off the chat. I figured out a way to fill in the other 9 rows without changing my factual data or bottom line. I wanted to see if there was anything valid about this software so I finished and it said I owed nothing. I wanted to print out the 1040 forms so I went looking for them to see the math for myself. THERE IS NO OPPORTUNITY TO PRINT OUT FORMS FOR YOUR RECORDS...NONE! This is a scary company. AVOID THEM.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I used Credit Karma to file my taxes last year and had no issues, it’s free and easy so why not use it again? This time around it’s easy, no problem. A couple hours after finishing federal was accepted but state was still pending. No updates in 3 days, no emails regarding the status on state. Logged on just to see if it was still pending and it said rejected, reasoning was my social was already used to file. Talk to chat support, it’s no better. Girl says both federal and state was rejected and I needed to call the IRS. Checked federal tax on IRS website and it was accepted, nothing wrong. 2 days later my state gets accepted. This website needs to fix their tax service, I get that it’s free but either figure it out or don’t offer it. Stressing people out when the site can’t even provide accurate information.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

The credit scores that I have received on Credit Karma are not correct. Using the ones that were given, I recently applied for credit thinking that I would be approved. Credit Karma says the scores are from Equifax and Experian. The scores that Equifax and Experian gave were 29-44 points lower than the ones provided by Credit Karma. So where does Credit Karma get their scores?

Credit Karma Company Information