1.75/5

366 Credit Karma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I joined Credit Karma, thinking it would be good to monitor my credit. I kept seeing the commercials about it being a free service and figured I'd try it. On my credit profile, it was recommended that I apply for a credit card and that I had very good approval odds based on my score. I applied for the card and got rejected, my credit score went down 17 points because of the hard inquiry from the application. I never would've applied for that card if it hadn't been suggested to me by Credit Karma. They have no customer service phone number to contact them and they haven't responded to my emails. I'm very unhappy with this "service".

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

You do NOT want to file your taxes thru Credit Karma. There are serious flaws in the calculations of this program. The one that applied to me meant losing $200 of what is owed to me re - my Fed return. Ex. - HSA account contributions and distributions are NOT taxable. However, the CK filing system is taxing me on the amount that I spent on medical payments after I selected the option stating that I did spend the money on qualified medical payments. (I have receipts and the document from the IRS that lists the qualified expenses.)

I have contacted CK support repeatedly, and keep getting the run-around. One chat support rep told me that recent Tax Reform laws now make my disbursements taxable. When I advised her that she is totally incorrect, that it states as such on the IRS website, she then in so many words accused me of lying about claiming that I spent the HSA funds on qualified medical expenses. She was giving out false info, did not know what she was talking about.

I have a ticket open re - this issue, but no one is getting back to me. I am done! Who knows what other mistakes in calculations this program is creating. Worst yet, you cannot delete your tax return file from the system. That is MY PERSONAL INFO. CK should not be able to hold my tax return info hostage. I... AM... DONE... with CK. Don't get me started on the flaws with the rest of their services - incorrect scoring, partnerships with companies that are rip-offs, promises that you will get approved for something that you won't, etc.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My Credit Karma account was hijacked by someone else. I cannot get anyone from Credit Karma to reply to my emails. If it's that easy for someone to take over your account I would recommend you NOT use this so-called free service. I am very frustrated and worried about what they are going to do with my information now.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I like to do my income taxes and then do them with another software to see the comparison. I did mine with OLT.com, the IRS recommended site, and owed nearly a $1000. I did it with Credit Karma and owed nothing, but that isn't all of it. I had 11 stock trades this year. I filled in the form that had room for 10 trades, to do the 11th, I had to *add rows*. That added 10 more rows. I filled in the 11 and was ready to go to the next part and it wouldn't let me unless I filled out all 9 additional rows. I used their online support and the fellow, Dewayne, told me to use the edit button. There was no edit button.

I told him their software was just too buggy and he more or less suggested I get a pencil and form and do it by hand so I cut off the chat. I figured out a way to fill in the other 9 rows without changing my factual data or bottom line. I wanted to see if there was anything valid about this software so I finished and it said I owed nothing. I wanted to print out the 1040 forms so I went looking for them to see the math for myself. THERE IS NO OPPORTUNITY TO PRINT OUT FORMS FOR YOUR RECORDS...NONE! This is a scary company. AVOID THEM.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I used Credit Karma to file my taxes last year and had no issues, it’s free and easy so why not use it again? This time around it’s easy, no problem. A couple hours after finishing federal was accepted but state was still pending. No updates in 3 days, no emails regarding the status on state. Logged on just to see if it was still pending and it said rejected, reasoning was my social was already used to file. Talk to chat support, it’s no better. Girl says both federal and state was rejected and I needed to call the IRS. Checked federal tax on IRS website and it was accepted, nothing wrong. 2 days later my state gets accepted. This website needs to fix their tax service, I get that it’s free but either figure it out or don’t offer it. Stressing people out when the site can’t even provide accurate information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Karma?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

The credit scores that I have received on Credit Karma are not correct. Using the ones that were given, I recently applied for credit thinking that I would be approved. Credit Karma says the scores are from Equifax and Experian. The scores that Equifax and Experian gave were 29-44 points lower than the ones provided by Credit Karma. So where does Credit Karma get their scores?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

2018 Tax Version issues: 1. You can upload a copy of your W-2 form to save time by pre-filling it. The upload works, but I don't know where it goes. It didn't pre-fill anything. 2. Form 8889 Health Savings Accounts line 3 - It populates this with the 2018 contribution limit of 6900.00 for Family plan under age 55. This is correct, except my age as entered in the profile is 55+, and this allows an additional 1000.00 contribution. So the limit should be 7900.00. Since this is what I contributed in 2018, the form incorrectly indicates I exceeded the limit by 1k. 3. My state is not supported yet.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I went to my CK account to update my new phone number. When I got to 'edit' and the page which sends a code to my phone, I was unable to do that because of my old number. How am I to get a code with my new number if it is not updated on my account? CK associates have reached out to me and none of them were of any help. I was getting frustrated and tired of being nice. They asked me to send a copy of my birth certificate and a utility bill with current profile and phone number. Did not hear back from them.

I finally told them that they are dragging their feet with fixing this and to back off on the weed they are smoking. Over two months? Surely something is wrong with their business model here. I told them to forget it and went back to MINT. Oh, they did try to call me twice for I saw the number on my cell and Google it and traced it back to CK. I contacted them through Twitter and told them I am deaf. They probably did not take this into account for the reason I did not answer my phone. They are ignorant. They are not user-friendly for deaf people. They make verifying very difficult for us deaf people. Them hearing people in CK, shame on them. Karma will come back and hunt them someday.

Customer service is downright AWFUL! They are very hard to get ahold of and they are very SLOW to respond and have no telephone number for their customers. Don't trust them with your confidential docs or you could be locked out. I am filing a complaint with my state's AG office for I am skeptical of their business practices and methods. I am also going to complain about the ADA Laws Office.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Credit Karma give you all these options for loans and give you a potential rating of how likely you are to get a approved. I saw a few loan options where Credit Karma said my odds were very good to excellent and tried my odds based on their recommendations and got denied anyway. Avant is a joke. LENDINGPOINT is a joke. PROSPER is a joke. OneMain is the biggest joke they offer because it's a secure loan that still ask for collateral upfront. I don't recommend any loan products from them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Credit Karma for me has been great. I have had no issues and they keep me up to date. Like with anything there will be people who love it and those who don't. I am one who loves it. I am constantly keeping up on my credit and they have helped me keep on top of it. Thanks Credit Karma.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Someone else made an account using my email and when I asked for it to be removed they asked me for my date of birth, full name, addresss, etc. Of course I told them not only no, but "You've lost your minds." This was months ago. I reset the password to the account and deleted it myself and said "Thanks for nothing people." Since then I've continued to receive emails from them about the support request despite my constant request to leave me the hell alone. This place really seems like a scam waiting to happen. They don't even have a system with something as simple as an email verification before you make an account in someone else's name. Get your credit report from the source and leave these hacks out of it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

For three months now I've been trying to get Credit Karma to update to my new email address. I have sent them seven emails. I have sent them documentation to prove who I was at their request and they still can't seem to just update to my new email address. I have asked them to escalated to a senior representative. They cannot do that. I have asked them to call me so I can explain a simple request. They cannot do that. Credit Karma I think is bogus. I certainly hope my information and fall into some black market hands however my credit isn't all that Stellar to worry too much about it. I just do not understand why it is so difficult to update an email address after the fact I have proved who I was. I do not understand in this day and age that no one can give a person to person call to assure them that it can be done.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My credit score plummeted after my mortgage account was transferred to another lender and TransUnion dinged me. My score was in the mid-700s with no late payments and all accounts current. When I attempted to contact Credit Karma, it was virtually impossible to find a way to contact the company. I eventually was able to make contact, but I had to go through a lot of Google searches to do so. BTW, I've filed a complaint against TransUnion with the New York State Attorney General. No consumer should have a credit score damaged through no fault of his/her own simply because a mortgage company sells or transfer a loan and the original account is then marked Closed by the credit bureau.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I tried to view the submitted W-2 forms and it's an endless loop. I cannot access my tax information. I then received an email saying that my refund delivery address was changed. I did everything to speak with customer support but as expected not one word from them. Not one! I'm so frustrated and will never use Credit Karma again and encourage others not to make the same mistake. No support whatsoever and now I don't know where my refund is going.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

You cannot call and talk to a person at Credit Karma. I had tech problems logging in and got stuck in an endless loop. Don't bother with this site. It is a waste of your time and resources. I was happy until I got a new computer. All of the sudden my password to Credit Karma didn't work. I tried to reset my password but did not receive any emails to reset my password. I checked and my email address was correct. I received emails from their customer support but none to reset my password. I am so frustrated with this BS that I cannot recommend it to anyone!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

NEVER file your tax return with Credit Karma! I made this mistake and regretted it bitterly. After I filed my taxes, I decided to check how much my tax refund would be if I had used Turbo Tax, and it would have been significantly higher. However, the damage was done as I can't file it twice and it had already been submitted. I feel like I lost my own money. Terrible!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Credit Karma states I have a collection account as of 1-9-2019. I called the company that Credit Karma says is on my Experian and Equifax report and they said no they have nothing in my name. Also I pulled my 3 Free reports from the 3 credit bureaus and the company is not on them. That’s proof Credit Karma is discrediting my good name and credit. I’ve printed the Credit Karma info and also token a screenshot where it shows 2 different names for the same company Credit Karma is reporting. I’m going to my lawyers in the morning. I’m suing for all I can get, they’re messed with the wrong person.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Will not let me change my phone number. It sends a code to my OLD phone, but I don't HAVE that phone anymore! Just emailed them last night, though. Nothing yet. I don't wanna wait. I want my money! Will look into another site. No one to call.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

When I initially signed up for Credit Karma, they seemed helpful and even educational about the process of helping rebuild my credit. Over the years (yes my credit rebuilding is still "under construction") I've become suspicious of Credit Karma's tactics. For example, they congratulate me and tell me how great I'm doing when I really haven't done anything at all. Then I see my scores have gone up so I apply for one of their "recommended" credit cards and they tell me my odds are good for getting approved. Not true, and I am quickly denied for lacking a track record of credit card payments. Duh.

It's a vicious circle that goes on and on like that. Although I do not have any negative or positive accounts anymore, my credit score keeps changing according to CK. I kept applying and kept getting denied. Meanwhile, my credit scores are taking hits for hard inquiries and God knows what. I recently received an email from CK that my score dropped 33 points from TransUnion for not having a credit card! This is too confusing for me! Can they penalize me for not having a credit card that I can't get because they keep denying me? That's a circular situation that is driving me crazy!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

It took 17 days for support to respond to my email. I tried on several different platforms to enroll so I could check my credit in preparation for buying a house, but the app was ‘malfunctioning’. I tried to reach them through several different emails. No phone support. Unattended emails. Considering most people are on a timeline when looking at credit reports, a 17 day wait on any kind of response in useless. I would consider going to freecreditreport.com. Login to account creation took 5 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Be careful, Credit Karma sells your name and address to their "affiliates" for credit card offers without your permission even though you opted out in your privacy options. I have complained numerous times to customer service in emails (unfortunately there is no telephone support) but they are stupid as they come and no help at all. They should all get fired. I will be cancelling my account soon and reporting this to BBB. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THESE CROOKS!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I used to like Credit Karma but now I think it is useless. Most major credit cards provide credit score, even banks do (Chase does). They are getting paid for ads and have no responsibilities if by applying and being denied, your score actually goes down. They push notifications - apply, apply, this is based on your credit score. I applied, got denied and credit score went down for "hard inquiry." This company does not bring much value any longer. Do not recommend.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Their current ad exploits Emotional Support Animals. The one they show is not even a real animal, it is hideous to say the least. I am aware that airlines are not allowing Emotional Support Animals to ride with the passengers any longer. Credit Karma is making a very bad joke about this. I am deeply offended and wonder what their point is?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Credit Karma is a scam. They are getting their money from kickbacks off of credit cards that charge high percentage APRs. The reason Credit Karma continues to tell people they have low scores. I started out with a score that matched the big 3. Then, after subscribing to Credit Karma, they have been all over the board with this company. I have done all of the things that people are told to do to raise your score. I have ordered new credit, used it then paid off quickly, oh, too quickly?

Okay, then run up credit and paid it back over long term paying out of course the interests on these cards. But as I pay these off my scores keep pummeling 40 points and when I click "what changed" it shows a $1200 Decrease in overall payments or percentage of credit used- that should be good, right? But apparently, a new card shows up with a balance on it of $200 and that wipes out the $1200 decrease. Really? IF they are being fair and balanced, it would show I used 18% of a new credit card, thus, bringing down my overall percentage points, but it didn't do that. If the Big 3 or even Credit Karma has more than a non interested neutral scoring formula or algorithm, it should be consistent, but it doesn't because that's not the point. Then you have to actually write them and send your request to end the relationship and get off of Credit Karma.

By the way, let me add my payment history is 100%. As far as I'm concerned, that is the only thing the big 3 ever should be concerned with, otherwise it shows an industry that has created very long arms of jurisdiction over people, and that means they have become useless in the real world. They need to go. There is no reason to set a premise for predatory credit cards other than to scam people. In the old days, you started out like everyone with a low interest card, then only if you deserved it, the interest charges went up- now it's the other way around. Get rid of your high interest cards, get rid of Credit Karma.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been using Credit Karma for several months now, and like others say it is easy to use. They constantly want you to use “partners'” credit cards and personal loans. My scores with Credit Karma have been in the fair and the needs work. Recently we contacted a mortgage lender to refi and to pay off other loans. Mortgage companies of course check your credit, they also notify you of what your scores are Experian - score 740, Transunion - score 725, Equifax - 713. Credit Karma was way below that. They wanted me to use one of their “partners” for the refi so it would help my credit scores go up.

Their partners' loans were nowhere near the one we are going to use. Everyone gets to check their credit scores once a year without hurting their credit score, if some of you would check yours and let us know if there was a difference in yours. I tried to get Credit Karma to explain the differences but all they did was give me a ticket number and said they would get back to me, should have been pretty easy to tell me but they didn’t. Someone please check so we know, I don't want to say something that may have been a fluke. But if it’s true everyone should know if you get low scores so you can use their “partners” to raise your score. Don't want to say something wrong about someone if it not consistently wrong. I just want the truth.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ran my credit with Credit Karma before trying to lease a car and it showed me my "good credit score." Got to the car dealership and they ran it showing 200 points lower. The whole reason you run your credit is for the truth of how you appear to lenders to make sure you can do what you need to in life - get a car, a home etc. Why does Credit Karma even exist if it's going to mislead you about crucial information. There really is a big difference between a real FICO score and the bull_ score you get on Credit Karma. I would never use it again and will warn everyone I speak to not to use them either unless you want a big shock when you go for that car or mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I received a call from unknown number. The person identified themselves as from Comenity Bank and said I owed $79.00 dollars. However they could not tell me for what. I informed them without proof, I was not paying. I then got notified by Credit Karma that I should pay Comenity Bank and they lowered my score on their site. It was all a scam and Credit Karma was part of it. Beware and investigate what they tell you. It is impossible to get in touch with them. I am no longer a member.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I rec'd an email from Credit Karma. I went to the website. It showed different companies where I could get a loan. I did not apply for a loan. Next thing I knew, I had responses where I was turned down for a loan for various reasons. I think Credit Karma applied for me or something. I DID NOT WANT A LOAN! Now the info is on my credit reports, and it wasn't me. It needs to be fixed, but I don't know where to contact Credit Karma.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I recently applied with a creditor for medical care and was denied because of my TransUnion score. They informed me of what it was, which was a whopping 30 points less than what’s showing on Credit Karma. Can’t depend on CK info.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Am I the only person who doesn't understand. I mean seriously tried to check my credit and it asks for my credit card info. I didn't put it in and it won't let me complete the process so Credit Karma and your false advertisement: shame.

Credit Karma Company Information