1.24/5
Based on 105 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

286 Rakuten.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

I must say that this company has a FANTASTIC person in Customer Support. His name is Rolaneil. I have run a very successful mail order business now for 44 years and I am very well aware of what it's like to deal with Customer Service at companies and I must admit that it is very rare to run into someone as cooperative and as efficient as this man is.

From what I understand RAKUTEN is a site where companies can go and sell things on it. I ordered a radio recently from this company's site (the store was 123 Stores I think) and was not satisfied with it and wanted to return it. They said no problem but that I would have to pay for the return postage which would have been something like $13. To me that's absurd. Maybe I'm just used to AMAZON or JET or Walmart etc where they will pay for the return post. Anyway 123 REFUSED to do so so I emailed Rolaneil at RAKUTEN. He was FANTASTIC! And he worked it out so that I could return it without paying the absurd return post cost! I would recommend ordering from RAKUTEN because if you have a problem and you contact Rolaneil he will take care of you incredibly well.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I ordered a Tacoma fender on the 30th. Now is the 7th and they have not shipped my part and they won't tell me when will it be shipped. I'm not happy at all. I will never order from this Rakuten again.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I ordered a couple of ink cartridges and the next day I received an email that the order was ‘Canceled by merchant because product is out of stock’. Then the online popup ads links to the same item now at about a 2 ½ times greater price. They did not respond to my complaint.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I ordered several items (Japanese CDs which are impossible to find outside of the country) only were available on Rakuten. The order was confirmed, and was ready to be shipped. The postage was incredibly expensive, as matching the items purchased. A few days later I find an email saying that they've canceled the order, the email hardly explains anything other than "it's canceled'. Why confirm the item first if they cancel the order the next day? Either someone messed up or they showed several items that weren't in stock on their website. Either way I am very angry and disappointed. I will never be using or ordering anything off Rakuten again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I ordered a set of printer cartridges for an HP Printer from Toner MarketPlace. Somehow when they did not work and I wanted to return them the return ended up being handled by Rakuten. Despite the 100% guaranty of getting a free return label within 45 days with no questions asked, I was told I had to submit all sorts of photos of the cartridges, the printer, etc. I had already repacked the cartridges and was not going to do that. I returned them at my own cost. I was then refunded $4.95 less than the cost of the cartridges due to Rakuten's taking off that money for their points, which I had never signed up for, did not use and did not benefit from.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My mind is blown. I ordered a laptop through one of the third party sellers on Rakuten; the name of the sub-store is Acer re-certified or something of that sort. I saw the hundreds of negative reviews and felt that I was taking a gamble by using the site. HOWEVER, I received the product within 2 days, paying no shipping fee and no tax. Not only that, the laptop cost was around thirty percent off retail.

The laptop I purchased costs $350 on Amazon as of this hour. I purchased this laptop (typing on it right now) for $238. I can't tell that this laptop isn't brand new even though it is refurbished. I received a shipping number the next morning after my purchase. I still don't trust every facet of the site fully. I still recommend you using the PayPal pay option within the site. However, based on my experience I am extremely impressed.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Will never shop here again. They need to up their game if they want to compete with Amazon. Placed an order on the 23rd of Nov. Checked status on the 27th and it says shipment scheduled for Nov. 25th but "delayed". Concerned as order was for a November 29th birthday gift. Rakuten rep gives me a BS line about 2 business days after placing order, so with Thanksgiving in between, shipment is actually 27th. I know it was BS since I separately contacted the end vendor who said they had systems problems so everything was delayed and they cannot make it up to me. I cancelled the order. Bottom line, Rakuten lies and works with second rate vendors since all the majors work with Amazon. Do not shop here. Also their price quote does not include tax even though it knows the delivery address so they charge that later. Very sneaky.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I purchased three iPhone chargers with cables and never received items even though it said “delivered” on 10-20-2017. I called the listed customer service number multiple times and there were no return phone calls at all from this supplier company, ProElectronics. I left messages on the Rakuten website which was a middleman and no replies either. I wonder whether I will get my refund since I charged it to my credit card, about $34.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I did my first order from Rakuten and then discovered all these 1 star reviews. I started to really panic but everything turned out to be just great. Bought San-X merchandise from LaughLaugh merchant on Rakuten. Seller was very friendly and courteous, cancelled one of my orders immediately upon request, the other order arrived very fast, was packaged neatly, all 6 items were original goods, not counterfeit, good quality. I will shop at this seller again. I see that most if not all 1 star reviews were from people who bought expensive items such as electronics. So I suppose that it depends on what you buy and who is the seller.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I ordered 10 Network cabinets with 2-3 shipping over two weeks ago. Received confirmation e-mail and an e-mail stating item are On their way. FedEx Tracking number stated Label Created. Well after 11 days, the FedEx tracking number is still Label Created. Called Rakuten's customer support who transferred me to the Seller of MarketPlace. They said they could reship the items but would take 3-5 days to process and 3-10 days to ship. What??? I paid for 2-3 shipping and Ive been waiting 11 days since the label was created. I was told the 2-3 shipping was for the first order not the reshipment. How is it reshipping if the FedEx Shipping Label has not been used? Cancelled order. Feel like Rakuten and MarketPlace are thieves. So wish I could give a zero Star rating.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Quality of product and service was very poor. First, I ordered the Lesmore TV stand online through rakuten.com (40,000 JPY) which took twice as long as indicated since they would not accept payment upon delivery so we had to order again. Once received, the table had several scratches on the surface and looked used. I have been trying to get ahold of the customer service for 4 days and have not heard back from them. I will never purchase anything from Rakuten again and would not recommend to anyone.

Original review: July 1, 2017

The seller of the Nikon d3300 camera will not answer any emails about a problem I am having with a lens that was included in this purchase. Tried to register the camera and Nikon will not warranty the Camera nor will Tamron warranty the lens. They say it's a gray market item. I was lead to believe that these items were new and that some kind of warranty would last more than 14 days.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Horrible check out process and worst customer service. Customer service could not solve issue and passes you on to another number. My order was cancelled because of address verification but I used the recommended shipping address and my billing address was correct. I called my credit card and the verification hold was placed so of course that is correct. The company still cancelled my order. I don't think this is a real company that actually can ship anything. When I called the number for address verification I got a recording to leave a message, REALLY! No return call, very sad for a company. I will be using another company. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: May 8, 2017

"I regret to inform you that the TV you ordered will not be shipped. Due to technical difficulties, the system allowed this item's price to be listed incorrectly. The actual value and cost of this TV prevents us from being able to honor the listed pricing error. Your order has been canceled and the refund was processed back to your account immediately. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you." They did not honor the posted price and not issued a refund yet.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Ordered a bed frame from Rakuten. When I went to put it together a piece was broken. I called to see if they could just send me a new piece. I didn't want a whole new bed frame. They said I wasn't allowed to get a new piece or even return the whole product. Apparently it's their policy that I should have looked it over before the delivery driver left. What?? There was a lot of pieces and they wanted me to make the poor guy wait while I looked through it all? No. They needed to just send me a product that wasn't broken in the first place. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: April 12, 2017

When I wanted to refund a product I had purchased, I learned that Rakuten is the middle man and I needed to deal with the supplier. The product was still in the original packaging and never used. When the original supplier balked, I emailed Rakuten and within 12 hours I was issued a refund without even having to go through the hassle of returning the item.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

CHEAT - CHEAP - FRAUD - ONLINE SCAMMERS - Just looting people. I ordered Samsung sound bar as Thanksgiving gift which was assured to be shipped in 2 days. There was delay of more than 15 days (no notification) and on complaining Rakuten team started giving late response and foolish assurances without doing anything. I had emailed more than 40 times, opened 30+ tickets but all I received is false and cheat assurances. All of sudden order was cancelled without any intimation for the reason.

CHEAT AND CHEAP website just hosted to fool customers. Charge them and feast on the interest of cash volumes of customers. Moreover, incompetent team has deployed 3rd world customer care who may not be sure for whom they are working - There is neither way to reach to them nor they respond you on time. HUGE CONCERN on US e-commerce comptroller entity which has failed in stopping this FRAUDSTERS & SCAMMERS even after so many complaints and negative reviews.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I ordered a 28" television at a great price for my mother as a gift. After waiting more than enough time to receive shipment, I started to inquire about package tracking. Only then did I realize that the order had been canceled. I searched my emails to find a notice of this, but none existed. I only saw where a credit was posted to my credit card, but no notice was given. When I looked up my order number, the only explanation was that "We were unable to ship". A simple email would have given me ample time to order a replacement from another source.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016 I received the following via email; "Dear Customer, We recently detected suspicious activity related to your Rakuten.com Account. To ensure the safety of your personal information, we have locked the account and you will have to reset your password. To reset your password, please use the following link:

https://secure.rakuten.com/AC/ForgotPassword.aspx. After providing the email address associated with your Rakuten.com Account, you will then receive an email with the instructions for resetting your password. We apologize for the inconvenience, but hope this speaks to our commitment to keep your information safe and secure. Sincerely, Rakuten.com Customer Support." I don't have, nor have I ever had, an account with Rakuten. The only way I even knew who they were was to google "Rakuten.com" which brought me here to this "ConsumerAffairs" page.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Granted, I only bought a $10 bottle of lotion, but after buying it simply because it was the lowest price (pretty much half price), & not researching the company/site until I was thinking about purchasing something else...Then being worried after reading all the reviews...I was pleasantly surprised! Arrived much quicker than expected (expected even before reading reviews). Ordered on Thur, arrived on Mon. Just what I ordered. Maybe it depends on what you order? My experience was great though. ; )

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I received an email newsletter from Rakuten offering a laptop with a $50 rebate. The newsletter had a link to order the laptop by clicking on the link. The newsletter was sent at 12:10 pm and I clicked on the link at 2:05 pm, less than 2hrs later. The newsletter did not indicate this was a limited time offer and subject to change at anytime. I click on the link with a price of 179.99 but Rakuten attempted to charge my card 229.99. Fifty dollars more than the newsletter and link stated.

I immediately called my credit card co to withhold payment and they did (fortunately). Upon emailing Rakuten numerous times they indicated this was a limited time offer. When asked why that was not stated on the website/newsletter/link customer service said they did not know and there was nothing they could do about it. Said I can order the laptop at the higher price if I want it. I should have read the reports on this website as obviously Rakuten exists to take advantage of the consumer whenever and wherever possible. Lesson learned here!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

BUYERS BEWARE. RAKUTEN IS A SCAM!!! I ordered an iPhone from this site and after 5 days of not receiving any communication regarding shipping and the order in "processing" status still I reached out to the company who told me they had to contact the seller and I had to wait up to 3 business days for a response. It didn't sound legit, so I requested a refund and was told they couldn't provide one. It had to be done from the seller.

After she noticed I was getting a bit concerned and started asking lots of questions she started pretending like she could no longer hear me by saying, "Ma'am are you still there? I can no longer hear you and would need to end the call." Which she did. I immediately contacted my bank to start the process of trying to get my money back. Cautious as this company is overseas which makes it a lot difficult with the US banks. Also, BE AWARE. THIS COMPANY HAS OTHER ALIASES - Buy.com / Dulydeals.com - STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I was happy when finding a site that handled PayPal well - even though their cost for the item was about $4 more than other less-friendly sites. They shipped the product quickly. But the first peek inside was an alarm. The case is unusable in its present state: back lose; mirror hanging by a thread; hinge bent; wood cracks in both top corners and in lower mirror frame - and these are just the things I found in the first 6 minutes. I hope to reassemble; use stronger hardware where possible and repair the wood splits. [Not sure that FedEx did not contribute to it - but the outside box showed no major hits. The guy did balance it on end at the door and fled. So he did not seem to have much respect for "fragile"].

But when going back to Rakuten to post a review, the order friendly site turned out to be just that - easy to order; really tough to make any observation. For "consideration" I am to contact someone else. They sell but apparently take no responsibility. I find it very hard to believe that the Rakuten showing of 5 stars would be possible with this shoddy product!

Original review: July 13, 2016

I ordered a Nikkor lens on July 6th and opened a credit card account to get the super points off the sale. The item was listed as 'processing' for 8 days. I emailed the seller and the company and received an email from The Camera Box that my receiver (??? did not order a receiver) was out of stock (in eBay) and that I could cancel for a refund... I questioned the email and they sent the same letter with lens in place of receiver. I was fortunate in that I was able to close the credit card acct. without losing any money. Did not get any responses from Rakuten until I cancelled the order. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: June 15, 2016

I tried to purchase an item using PayPal and they say the authorization failed. PayPal has no record of the attempted authorization. After asking Rakuten customer disservice to check on it, the response was "Issue resolved, contact PayPal." Tried again, they said "Issue resolved". I had not completed my order (well, gee, what idiots!) so they canceled it. I used a credit card on a previous order and then my card was used to purchase a couple burner phones in NY (I live in California). So my bank blocked further transactions from Rakuten and I'm sure not going to trust them with my credit card again!

Original review: June 14, 2016

Malaysian Rakuten is just like Russian USBARGAINONLINE! They are both crooked retail internet sites that take your money and run! Since both of the sites are based offshore they know that once they run your credit card there is NO WAY to get your money back. None of the credit card companies will help either because left the USA to do business. That is why terrorist groups place fake police equipment orders in the thousands of dollars with stolen credit card numbers (Usually Unknowing and Honest Tourists) and steal the product while the vendor gets Zero! So read many different reviews from different sites before you do business with an offshore company! Stay Safe and Shop Smart and remember they think of you as the GREEDY STUPID AMERICAN INFIDEL MORON!

Original review: May 5, 2016

Rakuten had all my information. I just wanted to sell office supplies. Just checked to see if somebody else was selling desktop business card holders, and they already processed the order, without me checking out. Contacted them in less than 5 minutes. It is a nightmare trying to cancel the order that I did not even place for $ 99.00.

Original review: April 27, 2016

Please, remember they are not an AMERICAN COMPANY! I should have gone to AMAZON? I got robbed by Rakuten.com! They stole my money $181.31, they lied about taking my money and then they said my bank was holding the money? That's another lie! If you don't believe me google their reviews? If you have been robbed by Rakuten.com or UNBEATABLESALE.com contact CONSUMER AFFAIRS and report them to law enforcement and ask your attorney!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

I ordered a tablet and 2 minutes after decided to cancel. I found the same one on Amazon for same price. My orders, said it would appear in 5 minutes and that I had 15 minutes to cancel an item without any problems. My new order never appeared, 15 and more minutes passed, there was no way of contacting them. I called Paypal and the charge went through. I started a dispute on Paypal for the charge to be reversed but doubt it will and the dispute process once charged is very complicated. I called my credit card and they said I had to wait until the charge was actually paid to dispute it. If this is how they are with charges I hate to think if something is wrong with the tablet. Stupid me for not listening to the reviews.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2016

Never use them! After purchasing over £300 worth of Christmas goods, and receiving only one, I emailed for them then to inform me the rest was out of stock, so, awaiting either a refund or my items to be dispatched and in stock. I left it a week, having heard nothing contacted them again... ignored. And again a few days later, of course, ignored.

I phoned them to be placed on hold for no less than FIFTY MINUTES! To then be hung up on. Queue more angry emails from myself, to which they responded to every single one with a copy and pasted message. To this day, I am still awaiting a refund and they are still ignoring every email. (Please note this is both the seller and Rakuten customer services themselves.) You'd think having been something as big as play.com and such a popular website they wouldn't be able to get away with this, alas they have. THEY FRAUDULENTLY STOLE ALL OF MY MONEY AND MY 9 YEAR OLD SON'S WE USED FOR XMAS PRESENTS. STAY AWAY!!!

Rakuten.com Company Information