4.0/5 (665 ratings)

About Rakuten.com

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

Pros

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

Cons

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Bottom Line

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

Top Rakuten.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

99% percent of the time rebates go through seamlessly… It's a no brainer to head onto Rakuten website and go through one of there links to receive money back on products I buy on ...

Verified

I’ve been using Rakuten.com for years. Getting money back each time I shop online is awesome. The site is easy to use, and if there are any questions, the member services departme...

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten works with a wide variety of stores to give you cash back deals and discounts. With Rakuten, you receive cash back payments every three months, either through a check in the mail or via PayPal. The company’s browser extension tool lets you see deals when searching for products on the internet, and its Price Magic feature lets you see what percentage you’ll receive in cash back rewards.

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gives you access to coupons, sales and cash back rewards all in one place. Its website includes all of the brands and services it currently works with, including companies like Groupon, Ulta, Nike and Sephora.

Rakuten lets you shop any way you want and earn rewards. You can access its tools through Rakuten’s mobile app or shop from its website. You must add a credit or debit card to your account to use Rakuten’s mobile app features.

The Rakuten Cash Back Visa card lets shoppers earn up to 3% extra cash back on qualifying purchases and 1% cash back on all other purchases. The Cash Back Visa has no annual fees and comes with a zero-fraud-liability policy.

Is Rakuten free?

Signing up and creating an account on Rakuten is free for customers. When you make a purchase using Rakuten’s services, the company makes a commission or takes a percentage of the profit from the seller.

Rakuten FAQ

Can I trust Rakuten?

Rakuten is an international company that takes precautions to ensure it complies with the General Data Protection Regulations. Reputable brands and stores trust Rakuten to provide promotions and deals to its customers.

How do I contact Rakuten?

Rakuten offers a help center on its website. Customers can also get more personalized help through their account after signing up.

How do you use Rakuten in stores?

To use Rakuten in stores, shoppers need to download the Rakuten mobile app. With the app, you select the store you’d like to shop at and see available offers. You then need to link the offer to your account and use your debit or credit card to make a purchase. It typically takes a few hours or days for the funds to appear in your account.

What is the catch with Rakuten?

There’s no catch to Rakuten, but you must buy items to earn cash back. Once your account has reached $5, the company releases cash back payments. Earnings depend on the amount you spend.

Is Rakuten legit?

Budget-savvy shoppers who would like to save while buying items they need should look into Rakuten’s discounts and cash back rewards program. We recommend Rakuten for families, avid shoppers and travelers who would like to earn rewards on their purchases.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

In most cases, they will not automatically credit you with the promised cash back. 95% of the time, I have to go through their website, click Help, click Missing Cash Back. You then have to provide the date you made the reservation and the amount. They will then send you an email and ask for a copy of your receipt. Then they will say that they have to verify your purchase with the vendor. The only way to guarantee you'll get your cash back is to save everything. I have a spreadsheet which records the purchase date, the % cash back promised, the amount of the purchase, the confirmation/order number and the shopping trip number (use the pull down menu by your name and click shopping trips) and save all your receipts because they will ask for them. I've made over $2500 but had to go through this process.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

They sent a referral promotion of get $40 when you spend $40 and didn't gave the promotion bonus. Contacted them several times and didn't fix the issue. Avoid them and use other cashback sites that comply with their promotions.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I am from Ukraine. On September, 12 2022 I signed up on “Rakuten”. They checked my personal documents and verified me. On that day (September, 12) I booked and paid via Rakuten’s affiliated site hotel number (for 134.83 USD). When I was making booking there was information about cash back (approximately 5 USD) and this sum was in my personal cabinet on Rakuten after booking. But then it disappeared.

After my request Rakuten’s support service send me next respond: “We do not offer service in the country we determined to be associated with this account”. And also they told that any balances will not be paid! However, I can see on Rakuten that they provide services in Ukraine. Even if they do not, they should have informed me when I registered my account and made purchases via their site. I wrote them one more letter with these issues, but they ignored it. It looks like indecent actions. I do not recommend anyone to have any business with Rakuten, and better use another cashback websites.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

This app is a joke! It says invite friends and they get $30 back after a $30 purchase and I get $30 friend referral bonus. I referred 2 family members, who didn't previously have Rakuten, they BOTH made $30 purchases. At first their purchases showed as "pending" and then they made completely disappeared! My referral bonus showed for about a day and it too disappeared! Customer service is a nightmare! They have all kinds of excuses and nothing gets resolved. Seems like they just wanna get people to make purchases and then don't give them the bonus! Now we all three just tried to log in to our accounts and the accounts are "inactive", so any cash back that would have been in the accounts is now gone. What a scam! Telling ALL my family and friends to steer clear of this site!

Original review: July 8, 2022

When the shopping trip a sizable rebate, conveniently the shopping trip & its confirmation disappear. I have always kept screenshots to dispute and inquire about my missing cash and when it's large, they never resolve it. If it's less than a dollar then they resolve the dispute. Very difficult contract and working with their customer service dept. You really need to jump through hoops and spend a lot of time only to be disappointed and never really get the cash back. I made a hotel reservation in March of 2022 through the Rakuten.com site, provided the full documentation of completion for the hotel stay and to this day never got the money. I had 3 shopping trips at Lowes.com through their site in June and never got the money. When I try to inquire about these 3 trips, their website erases my information.

Original review: June 10, 2022

I used Ebates.com for years. We travel for business and spend weeks at a time in hotels throughout the year. Ebates always made sure I received my credit for staying and I never had an issue. However ever since it became Rakuten.com I haven't been paid once for the hotel stays. The first time I thought it was my fault, maybe I didn't register the credit card? But when I checked the credit card, it was listed. I contacted them and they said, "For hotels you had to wait 6 months." When I contacted after 6 months, all the information about the stay had been deleted from my account. 2 more hotel stays later and still the same. They should change their name to Scam.com. I'm looking for an alternative company. I'm done with Rakuten.com!

Rakuten.com response

Hi Jon - Please email us at socialhelp@rakuten.com and our team will be happy to take a look at any missing travel purchases.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I am a member at Ebate.com/Rakuten.com since 10/21/2007, so I am familiar with the requirements and regulations. On May 22, 2022, I was attracted by a 10% offer from Rakuten for my purchases from Staples through Rakuten website. I Followed all the required steps and I placed my Staples order for the amount of $39.89.66 Dollars. Rakuten did not give me the cash back as it was supposed to happen.

I filed several claims, but no customer service answer was received, all the answers were generic replies by the website. After more than 20 attempt to reach a live customer service, I received an email from a customer service Blaming Staples for not giving me the 10% cash back WHEN THE CASH BACK WAS OFFERED TO BY RAKUTEN NOT BY STAPLES, I think Rakuten are switching their business from advertising to scam.

Scamming the customers is an easier and more profitable business for Rakuten than their previous honest business of advertising. Rakuten is blaming a third party for the false promise of 10% that they refused to abide with. The misleading action of Rakuten costed me $40 dollars that I want it back asap. It is not my problem what goes between Rakuten and the seller, My contract for 10% is with Rakuten who is trying to ignore. I want Rakuten to give me my 10% as I was promised.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Camille - We're sorry to hear that you have not received your Cash Back. Please email at socialhelp@rakuten.com and our team will take a look for you.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had cashback that I had received but had not collected. Even though they were working with my money I assumed it was safe to leave it with Rakuten. I had not logged in for several months. When I logged in to collect MY money I found out they had charged $2 every month to use my money until it was gone. I will never shop with Rakuten! Poor business practices!

Original review: April 29, 2022

Trying to get a cashback check as my balance indicates money to be sent to me by 5/15. The balance of what they say they have paid me is not correct as I have received very few checks and cannot get the current check they owe me. I contacted the online chat and they sent a link which sounds good but does not activate on my account. They tell me to change my address on a certain site and there is nothing on there to do this. I sent an email to customer support and received a general response with no follow-through. I think they are a scam. I have been patient now am writing reviews on this as they will not respond.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I shop a lot from Instacart and Rakuten promises 2% every time so I make sure that I click it. However, when I checked my account not a single one of my shopping experiences has cashback attached. I checked the website and the qualifications needed and I met all of them and still no cashback. I wonder if Rakuten has benefited from all my shopping experiences through Instacart and is keeping all the benefits to themselves. I have received a few payments from them, but not always. It is a little annoying to say the least.

Rakuten.com Company Information