3.6/5 (285 ratings)

About Rakuten.com

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

Pros

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

Cons

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Bottom Line

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

Top Rakuten.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

99% percent of the time rebates go through seamlessly… It's a no brainer to head onto Rakuten website and go through one of there links to receive money back on products I buy on ...

Verified

I’ve been using Rakuten.com for years. Getting money back each time I shop online is awesome. The site is easy to use, and if there are any questions, the member services departme...

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten works with a wide variety of stores to give you cash back deals and discounts. With Rakuten, you receive cash back payments every three months, either through a check in the mail or via PayPal. The company’s browser extension tool lets you see deals when searching for products on the internet, and its Price Magic feature lets you see what percentage you’ll receive in cash back rewards.

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gives you access to coupons, sales and cash back rewards all in one place. Its website includes all of the brands and services it currently works with, including companies like Groupon, Ulta, Nike and Sephora.

Rakuten lets you shop any way you want and earn rewards. You can access its tools through Rakuten’s mobile app or shop from its website. You must add a credit or debit card to your account to use Rakuten’s mobile app features.

The Rakuten Cash Back Visa card lets shoppers earn up to 3% extra cash back on qualifying purchases and 1% cash back on all other purchases. The Cash Back Visa has no annual fees and comes with a zero-fraud-liability policy.

Is Rakuten free?

Signing up and creating an account on Rakuten is free for customers. When you make a purchase using Rakuten’s services, the company makes a commission or takes a percentage of the profit from the seller.

Rakuten FAQ

Can I trust Rakuten?
Rakuten is an international company that takes precautions to ensure it complies with the General Data Protection Regulations. Reputable brands and stores trust Rakuten to provide promotions and deals to its customers.
How do I contact Rakuten?
Rakuten offers a help center on its website. Customers can also get more personalized help through their account after signing up.
How do you use Rakuten in stores?
To use Rakuten in stores, shoppers need to download the Rakuten mobile app. With the app, you select the store you’d like to shop at and see available offers. You then need to link the offer to your account and use your debit or credit card to make a purchase. It typically takes a few hours or days for the funds to appear in your account.
What is the catch with Rakuten?
There’s no catch to Rakuten, but you must buy items to earn cash back. Once your account has reached $5, the company releases cash back payments. Earnings depend on the amount you spend.

Is Rakuten legit?

Budget-savvy shoppers who would like to save while buying items they need should look into Rakuten’s discounts and cash back rewards program. We recommend Rakuten for families, avid shoppers and travelers who would like to earn rewards on their purchases.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Their process is very cumbersome and involves many steps to accurately get your purchase to apply properly. Too many times you click on a portion of the vendor site and it takes you out of the Rakuten process and you wind up purchasing an item without getting proper credit for it. So. It is too much to keep straight while shopping.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Rakuten is the real deal, they really send you a check for your cashback with no strings attached. Also it is completely free to be a member of Rakuten. And they have a lot of deals on many websites (like almost all of 'em)! : )

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Rakuten never fails to amaze me. Have only been a subscriber for 2 years but no matter where I want to shop, there is always a cash back offer thru them. I made the mistake twice by not checking their site first. Never again. I missed out on $25.00 by directly shopping the store site. Learned my lesson. When looking for a product on line, always check Rakuten first. 98% of the time, you will find a cash back offer or discount coupon. Rakuten ROCKS!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

RAKUTEN IS A SCAM! BUYER BEWARE! I have been happy with Rakuten until this past month. I have been a loyal member for YEARS and not using any of the other apps due to loyalty. If there were issues in the past, communication was very easy and as long as you showed proof of your claim (ie order number from their page, confirmation email, etc.) they were very good about crediting your account. HOWEVER, lately I had been booking airline tickets and hotel stays through the website and had been very patient waiting the THREE MONTH AFTER TRIP COMPLETION requirement. You can imagine the amounts were no longer simple $0.93 or $1.18 credits... After the waiting period, I contacted CS to ask and they said they needed the complete confirmation emails as the hotel/airline hadn't acknowledged the transactions. No problem. Send everything in. They said it would take up to another 45 days. Fine. Waited.

THEN I started getting emails that the hotel/airline wasn't acknowledging the transactions so I wouldn't be getting credit. I sent back the emails again WITH screenshots of the ORDER numbers generated on Rakuten and they then escalated the claims. After all this, they again informed me that I would NOT be getting any credit for ALL THREE transactions I had completed (which added up to about $2500.00) because their partners would not credit them (Rakuten) for the transactions. Had I used other apps, I would have been able to get some cash back, but now I get NOTHING.

Rakuten will not acknowledge their own order number or the confirmation emails that they asked for and have always used before as proof of claims. It seems that their policy is only to give cashback for what THEY feel like is an acceptable amount and not what they promised on their website. PERFECT WAY TO END A PERFECT YEAR!!! TIME TO MOVE ON AND USE ANY OTHER CASHBACK APP BUT THIS ONE!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I referred several people here when it was $40 cashback. They accused me of creating accounts and referring myself because I referred my roommate at my same address. Also accused me of making my mom's account because we share the same last name. I’ve lost $80 in referrals and will probably be accused of creating my sister's account because same last name. What a joke! As others mentioned if it’s 1-3% back you get the $$ fast but anything above 8% you’ll be fighting for and likely never see.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I've been trying to reach out to Rakuten regarding a miscalculation on my cashback. It's been over 3 weeks and member services still have not gotten back to me. I've sent several follow-up messages and still no reply.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

When I was logging on to a new device, I forgot which email I used and accidentally signed up for a new account. They locked my original account and couldn't get my cash back. Contacted their customer service and told me they couldn't do anything because I had multiple accounts. Gave a referral to my brother, bought items through them and now I can't get anything because they believe I intentionally created another account to get the referral bonus. Thing is I didn't even sign up through a referral link on the accidental account, it was at their sign in page where I accidentally signed up. I guess it was my mistake to begin with but they don't see that as an honest mistake.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Soon as their commercial comes on I change the channel as it is annoying and stupid Which reminds me of our liberal government. Why is nobody looking into the lies the government is telling us about covid? Because the prime minister lies about his crimes does not mean they can get away with lying about covid.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I reached out to Rakuten multiple times for my cash back but no response. I even sent bills to prove the purchase. There is no one to contact except the automated chat. Is there a way to contact Rakuten support.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My experience with Rakuten is to great extremes-when the cash back about received is minimal (1-3%) the amount is added immediately with no issues, however not the same at (10-12%) using the same process.

Rakuten.com Company Information