2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

BOTTOM LINE

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

PROS

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

CONS

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Top Rakuten.com Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

99% percent of the time rebates go through seamlessly… It's a no brainer to head onto Rakuten website and go through one of there links to receive money back on products I buy on a regular basis. I enjoy it very much and look forward to the reimbursement every time...

I’ve been using Rakuten.com for years. Getting money back each time I shop online is awesome. The site is easy to use, and if there are any questions, the member services department is right there to help you along the way. I highly recommend checking out Rakuten.com and making it a part of your onl

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten works with a wide variety of stores to give you cash back deals and discounts. With Rakuten, you receive cash back payments every three months, either through a check in the mail or via PayPal. The company’s browser extension tool lets you see deals when searching for products on the internet, and its Price Magic feature lets you see what percentage you’ll receive in cash back rewards.

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gives you access to coupons, sales and cash back rewards all in one place. Its website includes all of the brands and services it currently works with, including companies like Groupon, Ulta, Nike and Sephora.

Rakuten lets you shop any way you want and earn rewards. You can access its tools through Rakuten’s mobile app or shop from its website. You must add a credit or debit card to your account to use Rakuten’s mobile app features.

The Rakuten Cash Back Visa card lets shoppers earn up to 3% extra cash back on qualifying purchases and 1% cash back on all other purchases. The Cash Back Visa has no annual fees and comes with a zero-fraud-liability policy.

Is Rakuten free?

Signing up and creating an account on Rakuten is free for customers. When you make a purchase using Rakuten’s services, the company makes a commission or takes a percentage of the profit from the seller.

Rakuten FAQ

Can I trust Rakuten?
    Rakuten is an international company that takes precautions to ensure it complies with the General Data Protection Regulations. Reputable brands and stores trust Rakuten to provide promotions and deals to its customers.
    How do I contact Rakuten?
    Rakuten offers a help center on its website. Customers can also get more personalized help through their account after signing up.
    How do you use Rakuten in stores?
    To use Rakuten in stores, shoppers need to download the Rakuten mobile app. With the app, you select the store you’d like to shop at and see available offers. You then need to link the offer to your account and use your debit or credit card to make a purchase. It typically takes a few hours or days for the funds to appear in your account.
    What is the catch with Rakuten?
    There’s no catch to Rakuten, but you must buy items to earn cash back. Once your account has reached $5, the company releases cash back payments. Earnings depend on the amount you spend.

Is Rakuten legit?

Budget-savvy shoppers who would like to save while buying items they need should look into Rakuten’s discounts and cash back rewards program. We recommend Rakuten for families, avid shoppers and travelers who would like to earn rewards on their purchases.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: May 8, 2020

My experience with them has been very good. You have to make sure you don't have anything that cancels out your Rakuten cashback, like Honey (or sometimes putting in certain discount codes). But otherwise, it works really well. Compared to other extensions like Honey, it tends to give you more cashback and a wider range. They have an incredible promotion right now: $30 sign up bonus for their anniversary this week. Otherwise, it's $10. Feel free to use my referral link for that bonus: **.

Hi John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share such kind words. Our team works hard to give our members the best experience possible, so we're thrilled to hear this! Happy shopping :)

Original review: May 4, 2020

I had a recent inquiry with Rakuten about a miscommunication for a check. I contacted them about it and they were very helpful to me. They made any adjustments and helped me solve my issue. I would definitely recommend their customer service to anyone looking for any issues to be solved. Rakuten can help you!

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Rakuten is the old Buy.com, which was bought out by the Japanese company. It continues and expands on what Buy.com was famous for, electronics at the best prices. They now rival Walmart for their online product selection. The inventory is all by third party sellers, who often offer free shipping regardless of pricing.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I am still waiting to receive my cash reward of 20% for a purchase made through Shoes.com that Rakuten sponsored. Numerous inquiries to Rakuten yield absolutely no response whatsoever. In addition, I have provided them with the necessary proof of purchase from the transaction on numerous occasions. I am somewhat bewildered, baffled, and disappointed. I hope my problem can be rectified by Rakuten as soon as possible.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Bart - Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com and our team will take a look at this for you right away.

Resolution response: Sept. 22, 2020

Rakuten customer service communicated a response in a timely manner after this complaint. The cashback was provided for this valued customer. I thoroughly appreciate Rakuten responding. I will continue using their services and recommend their site.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I did lots of product comparison and selected to buy a mattress from Idle Sleep through Rakuten because they had a Labor Day sale of 30% off AND 10% cashback. I shopped through Rakuten to Idle Sleep. The coupon code was FROM Rakuten for 30% off. I have yet to receive the 10% cashback. I have communicated at length with customer service and provided the order summary. They say I either used another site's coupon or shopped from another site. My browser history shows I shopped at Rakuten directly to Idle Sleep then checkout and PayPal. I expect my 10% cashback since I followed their rules and shopped directly through their site and only used their coupon code. I am not new to senates-Rakuten it’s not like I forgot how to shop and get cashback. They are refusing to uphold their cashback deal.

Rakuten.com response

Hi ALisha - Our Member Services team can take a look at this for you. Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I loved this when it was Ebates but for some reason, new name, new problems. Had major issues with getting credit for purchases. Was told to make sure that I do not open any other windows on computer between the Rakuten site and the store that I am shopping in. I have made many online purchases but only received credit for one transaction. Got tired of calling in so decided to try another website that provides the same service. Too bad, I like ebates a lot!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I cannot access my account and have more than $700 cashback. I have emailed them back a couple of times and have not heard back from them. Always give the same answer, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Matheus - We can take a look at that for you. Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com so our team can assist you right away.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Here is the order of events: I purchased "Monarch Specialties Computer Desk - 60"L " for $239.08 at Rakuten.com. Seller was ISave and more than 10 were available. Less than 24 hrs later, they cancelled my order saying the item was backordered, etc. I checked my account and went to "My Orders" and hit the item I ordered. Here it was. It was available now at $384.95 by same seller, ISave. Bottom line is they did not want to honor their own advertised price of $239.08 and/or they became greedy thinking to sell it for more money. Mind you, the $239.08 was not overly cheap anyway. It was an average price. Very poorly managed, bad firm. I will have to cancel my account with Rakuten.com. Lesson learned, there is a good reason why good companies are good companies. For instance Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Sam's Club, Target.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have made an order back in Feb for some face towels, however I never receive my paid merchandise. I have emailed them back a couple of times and have not heard back from them. Just to be fair, their confirmation came written in Japanese, when I write to them, I have copied the original content but still have no response. Please help!

Below is the details:
      7 items from Rakuten Ichiba 8520円
      Ordered from
      Rakuten Ichiba
      Total cost
      8520円
      Items

レインボーベアは今治タオル新柄ループ付きタオル【コロン】カラーをお選び下さい(Co13), 新柄ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【ファイン】カラーをお選びください(Fa11), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル2】カラーをお選びください(St2-11), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル】カラーをお選びください(st13), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル3】カラーをお選びください(st3-16), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スキップ】カラーをお選びください(Skp13), レインボーベア・今治タオルループ付きタオル【フラッグ】カラーをお選びください(Fla16)

I was charged 9225 Japanese Yen in February and Have NOT Received the shipment ! PLEASE FOLLOW UP !!

Hi Magdalen,

Thanks for your patience. We were able to get a hold of the Rakuten Ichiba member support team and made them aware of your incident. They asked that you message the following:

Online Webform: https://ichiba-en.faq.rakuten.net/form/summary-inquiry

Email Address: ichiba-en@faq.rakuten.co.jp

Apologies for the back and forth, but they will be able to help you there :)

Original review: July 8, 2020

I bought a Samsung washer & I particularly chose the website as Rakuten was giving back 10% cash back on that day, The washer cost me $638.96, I should have got back $63.89 as cash back, instead I got only 19.17 which is 3%. They conveniently choose the day the cash back is the least to process the transaction and not the day of the shopping trip.

Another purchase I made at Nike.com for a pair of shoes is not being processed as they are waiting for the cash back percentage to reduce. All I want to point out is that I will not decide my shopping choices on the percentage of cash back because they do not honor the cash back as seen on the day of the shopping trip, They wait for it to reduce and they add the cash back.

Hi Supriya,

Thanks for reaching out. We took a look at your account and see that Samsung had reported some appliances with the incorrect Cash Back percentage to us, which has now been corrected. Nike takes up to 7 days to finalize Cash Back to us, but the Cash Back will be based on the percentage offered on the day of your shopping trip. The Cash Back should now be seen in your account for both orders. We always want our members to receive the Cash Back they earn. If you have any further questions or concerns, always feel free to email us at memberservices@rakuten.com and our team will be happy to assist.

Rakuten.com Company Information