1.24/5
Based on 105 reviews that contain star ratings

286 Rakuten.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

I must say that this company has a FANTASTIC person in Customer Support. His name is Rolaneil. I have run a very successful mail order business now for 44 years and I am very well aware of what it's like to deal with Customer Service at companies and I must admit that it is very rare to run into someone as cooperative and as efficient as this man is.

From what I understand RAKUTEN is a site where companies can go and sell things on it. I ordered a radio recently from this company's site (the store was 123 Stores I think) and was not satisfied with it and wanted to return it. They said no problem but that I would have to pay for the return postage which would have been something like $13. To me that's absurd. Maybe I'm just used to AMAZON or JET or Walmart etc where they will pay for the return post. Anyway 123 REFUSED to do so so I emailed Rolaneil at RAKUTEN. He was FANTASTIC! And he worked it out so that I could return it without paying the absurd return post cost! I would recommend ordering from RAKUTEN because if you have a problem and you contact Rolaneil he will take care of you incredibly well.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I ordered a Tacoma fender on the 30th. Now is the 7th and they have not shipped my part and they won't tell me when will it be shipped. I'm not happy at all. I will never order from this Rakuten again.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I ordered a couple of ink cartridges and the next day I received an email that the order was ‘Canceled by merchant because product is out of stock’. Then the online popup ads links to the same item now at about a 2 ½ times greater price. They did not respond to my complaint.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I ordered several items (Japanese CDs which are impossible to find outside of the country) only were available on Rakuten. The order was confirmed, and was ready to be shipped. The postage was incredibly expensive, as matching the items purchased. A few days later I find an email saying that they've canceled the order, the email hardly explains anything other than "it's canceled'. Why confirm the item first if they cancel the order the next day? Either someone messed up or they showed several items that weren't in stock on their website. Either way I am very angry and disappointed. I will never be using or ordering anything off Rakuten again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I ordered a set of printer cartridges for an HP Printer from Toner MarketPlace. Somehow when they did not work and I wanted to return them the return ended up being handled by Rakuten. Despite the 100% guaranty of getting a free return label within 45 days with no questions asked, I was told I had to submit all sorts of photos of the cartridges, the printer, etc. I had already repacked the cartridges and was not going to do that. I returned them at my own cost. I was then refunded $4.95 less than the cost of the cartridges due to Rakuten's taking off that money for their points, which I had never signed up for, did not use and did not benefit from.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My mind is blown. I ordered a laptop through one of the third party sellers on Rakuten; the name of the sub-store is Acer re-certified or something of that sort. I saw the hundreds of negative reviews and felt that I was taking a gamble by using the site. HOWEVER, I received the product within 2 days, paying no shipping fee and no tax. Not only that, the laptop cost was around thirty percent off retail.

The laptop I purchased costs $350 on Amazon as of this hour. I purchased this laptop (typing on it right now) for $238. I can't tell that this laptop isn't brand new even though it is refurbished. I received a shipping number the next morning after my purchase. I still don't trust every facet of the site fully. I still recommend you using the PayPal pay option within the site. However, based on my experience I am extremely impressed.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Will never shop here again. They need to up their game if they want to compete with Amazon. Placed an order on the 23rd of Nov. Checked status on the 27th and it says shipment scheduled for Nov. 25th but "delayed". Concerned as order was for a November 29th birthday gift. Rakuten rep gives me a BS line about 2 business days after placing order, so with Thanksgiving in between, shipment is actually 27th. I know it was BS since I separately contacted the end vendor who said they had systems problems so everything was delayed and they cannot make it up to me. I cancelled the order. Bottom line, Rakuten lies and works with second rate vendors since all the majors work with Amazon. Do not shop here. Also their price quote does not include tax even though it knows the delivery address so they charge that later. Very sneaky.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I purchased three iPhone chargers with cables and never received items even though it said “delivered” on 10-20-2017. I called the listed customer service number multiple times and there were no return phone calls at all from this supplier company, ProElectronics. I left messages on the Rakuten website which was a middleman and no replies either. I wonder whether I will get my refund since I charged it to my credit card, about $34.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I did my first order from Rakuten and then discovered all these 1 star reviews. I started to really panic but everything turned out to be just great. Bought San-X merchandise from LaughLaugh merchant on Rakuten. Seller was very friendly and courteous, cancelled one of my orders immediately upon request, the other order arrived very fast, was packaged neatly, all 6 items were original goods, not counterfeit, good quality. I will shop at this seller again. I see that most if not all 1 star reviews were from people who bought expensive items such as electronics. So I suppose that it depends on what you buy and who is the seller.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I ordered 10 Network cabinets with 2-3 shipping over two weeks ago. Received confirmation e-mail and an e-mail stating item are On their way. FedEx Tracking number stated Label Created. Well after 11 days, the FedEx tracking number is still Label Created. Called Rakuten's customer support who transferred me to the Seller of MarketPlace. They said they could reship the items but would take 3-5 days to process and 3-10 days to ship. What??? I paid for 2-3 shipping and Ive been waiting 11 days since the label was created. I was told the 2-3 shipping was for the first order not the reshipment. How is it reshipping if the FedEx Shipping Label has not been used? Cancelled order. Feel like Rakuten and MarketPlace are thieves. So wish I could give a zero Star rating.

Rakuten.com Company Information