1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 24, 2017

279 Rakuten.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I purchased three iPhone chargers with cables and never received items even though it said “delivered” on 10-20-2017. I called the listed customer service number multiple times and there were no return phone calls at all from this supplier company, ProElectronics. I left messages on the Rakuten website which was a middleman and no replies either. I wonder whether I will get my refund since I charged it to my credit card, about $34.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I did my first order from Rakuten and then discovered all these 1 star reviews. I started to really panic but everything turned out to be just great. Bought San-X merchandise from LaughLaugh merchant on Rakuten. Seller was very friendly and courteous, cancelled one of my orders immediately upon request, the other order arrived very fast, was packaged neatly, all 6 items were original goods, not counterfeit, good quality. I will shop at this seller again. I see that most if not all 1 star reviews were from people who bought expensive items such as electronics. So I suppose that it depends on what you buy and who is the seller.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I ordered 10 Network cabinets with 2-3 shipping over two weeks ago. Received confirmation e-mail and an e-mail stating item are On their way. FedEx Tracking number stated Label Created. Well after 11 days, the FedEx tracking number is still Label Created. Called Rakuten's customer support who transferred me to the Seller of MarketPlace. They said they could reship the items but would take 3-5 days to process and 3-10 days to ship. What??? I paid for 2-3 shipping and Ive been waiting 11 days since the label was created. I was told the 2-3 shipping was for the first order not the reshipment. How is it reshipping if the FedEx Shipping Label has not been used? Cancelled order. Feel like Rakuten and MarketPlace are thieves. So wish I could give a zero Star rating.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Quality of product and service was very poor. First, I ordered the Lesmore TV stand online through rakuten.com (40,000 JPY) which took twice as long as indicated since they would not accept payment upon delivery so we had to order again. Once received, the table had several scratches on the surface and looked used. I have been trying to get ahold of the customer service for 4 days and have not heard back from them. I will never purchase anything from Rakuten again and would not recommend to anyone.

Original review: July 1, 2017

The seller of the Nikon d3300 camera will not answer any emails about a problem I am having with a lens that was included in this purchase. Tried to register the camera and Nikon will not warranty the Camera nor will Tamron warranty the lens. They say it's a gray market item. I was lead to believe that these items were new and that some kind of warranty would last more than 14 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: June 13, 2017

Horrible check out process and worst customer service. Customer service could not solve issue and passes you on to another number. My order was cancelled because of address verification but I used the recommended shipping address and my billing address was correct. I called my credit card and the verification hold was placed so of course that is correct. The company still cancelled my order. I don't think this is a real company that actually can ship anything. When I called the number for address verification I got a recording to leave a message, REALLY! No return call, very sad for a company. I will be using another company. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: May 8, 2017

"I regret to inform you that the TV you ordered will not be shipped. Due to technical difficulties, the system allowed this item's price to be listed incorrectly. The actual value and cost of this TV prevents us from being able to honor the listed pricing error. Your order has been canceled and the refund was processed back to your account immediately. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you." They did not honor the posted price and not issued a refund yet.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Ordered a bed frame from Rakuten. When I went to put it together a piece was broken. I called to see if they could just send me a new piece. I didn't want a whole new bed frame. They said I wasn't allowed to get a new piece or even return the whole product. Apparently it's their policy that I should have looked it over before the delivery driver left. What?? There was a lot of pieces and they wanted me to make the poor guy wait while I looked through it all? No. They needed to just send me a product that wasn't broken in the first place. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: April 12, 2017

When I wanted to refund a product I had purchased, I learned that Rakuten is the middle man and I needed to deal with the supplier. The product was still in the original packaging and never used. When the original supplier balked, I emailed Rakuten and within 12 hours I was issued a refund without even having to go through the hassle of returning the item.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

CHEAT - CHEAP - FRAUD - ONLINE SCAMMERS - Just looting people. I ordered Samsung sound bar as Thanksgiving gift which was assured to be shipped in 2 days. There was delay of more than 15 days (no notification) and on complaining Rakuten team started giving late response and foolish assurances without doing anything. I had emailed more than 40 times, opened 30+ tickets but all I received is false and cheat assurances. All of sudden order was cancelled without any intimation for the reason.

CHEAT AND CHEAP website just hosted to fool customers. Charge them and feast on the interest of cash volumes of customers. Moreover, incompetent team has deployed 3rd world customer care who may not be sure for whom they are working - There is neither way to reach to them nor they respond you on time. HUGE CONCERN on US e-commerce comptroller entity which has failed in stopping this FRAUDSTERS & SCAMMERS even after so many complaints and negative reviews.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I ordered a 28" television at a great price for my mother as a gift. After waiting more than enough time to receive shipment, I started to inquire about package tracking. Only then did I realize that the order had been canceled. I searched my emails to find a notice of this, but none existed. I only saw where a credit was posted to my credit card, but no notice was given. When I looked up my order number, the only explanation was that "We were unable to ship". A simple email would have given me ample time to order a replacement from another source.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016
I received the following via email; "Dear Customer, We recently detected suspicious activity related to your Rakuten.com Account. To ensure the safety of your personal information, we have locked the account and you will have to reset your password. To reset your password, please use the following link:

https://secure.rakuten.com/AC/ForgotPassword.aspx. After providing the email address associated with your Rakuten.com Account, you will then receive an email with the instructions for resetting your password. We apologize for the inconvenience, but hope this speaks to our commitment to keep your information safe and secure. Sincerely, Rakuten.com Customer Support." I don't have, nor have I ever had, an account with Rakuten. The only way I even knew who they were was to google "Rakuten.com" which brought me here to this "ConsumerAffairs" page.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Granted, I only bought a $10 bottle of lotion, but after buying it simply because it was the lowest price (pretty much half price), & not researching the company/site until I was thinking about purchasing something else...Then being worried after reading all the reviews...I was pleasantly surprised! Arrived much quicker than expected (expected even before reading reviews). Ordered on Thur, arrived on Mon. Just what I ordered. Maybe it depends on what you order? My experience was great though. ; )

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I received an email newsletter from Rakuten offering a laptop with a $50 rebate. The newsletter had a link to order the laptop by clicking on the link. The newsletter was sent at 12:10 pm and I clicked on the link at 2:05 pm, less than 2hrs later. The newsletter did not indicate this was a limited time offer and subject to change at anytime. I click on the link with a price of 179.99 but Rakuten attempted to charge my card 229.99. Fifty dollars more than the newsletter and link stated.

I immediately called my credit card co to withhold payment and they did (fortunately). Upon emailing Rakuten numerous times they indicated this was a limited time offer. When asked why that was not stated on the website/newsletter/link customer service said they did not know and there was nothing they could do about it. Said I can order the laptop at the higher price if I want it. I should have read the reports on this website as obviously Rakuten exists to take advantage of the consumer whenever and wherever possible. Lesson learned here!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

BUYERS BEWARE. RAKUTEN IS A SCAM!!! I ordered an iPhone from this site and after 5 days of not receiving any communication regarding shipping and the order in "processing" status still I reached out to the company who told me they had to contact the seller and I had to wait up to 3 business days for a response. It didn't sound legit, so I requested a refund and was told they couldn't provide one. It had to be done from the seller.

After she noticed I was getting a bit concerned and started asking lots of questions she started pretending like she could no longer hear me by saying, "Ma'am are you still there? I can no longer hear you and would need to end the call." Which she did. I immediately contacted my bank to start the process of trying to get my money back. Cautious as this company is overseas which makes it a lot difficult with the US banks. Also, BE AWARE. THIS COMPANY HAS OTHER ALIASES - Buy.com / Dulydeals.com - STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I was happy when finding a site that handled PayPal well - even though their cost for the item was about $4 more than other less-friendly sites. They shipped the product quickly. But the first peek inside was an alarm. The case is unusable in its present state: back lose; mirror hanging by a thread; hinge bent; wood cracks in both top corners and in lower mirror frame - and these are just the things I found in the first 6 minutes. I hope to reassemble; use stronger hardware where possible and repair the wood splits. [Not sure that FedEx did not contribute to it - but the outside box showed no major hits. The guy did balance it on end at the door and fled. So he did not seem to have much respect for "fragile"].

But when going back to Rakuten to post a review, the order friendly site turned out to be just that - easy to order; really tough to make any observation. For "consideration" I am to contact someone else. They sell but apparently take no responsibility. I find it very hard to believe that the Rakuten showing of 5 stars would be possible with this shoddy product!

Original review: July 13, 2016

I ordered a Nikkor lens on July 6th and opened a credit card account to get the super points off the sale. The item was listed as 'processing' for 8 days. I emailed the seller and the company and received an email from The Camera Box that my receiver (??? did not order a receiver) was out of stock (in eBay) and that I could cancel for a refund... I questioned the email and they sent the same letter with lens in place of receiver. I was fortunate in that I was able to close the credit card acct. without losing any money. Did not get any responses from Rakuten until I cancelled the order. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: June 15, 2016

I tried to purchase an item using PayPal and they say the authorization failed. PayPal has no record of the attempted authorization. After asking Rakuten customer disservice to check on it, the response was "Issue resolved, contact PayPal." Tried again, they said "Issue resolved". I had not completed my order (well, gee, what idiots!) so they canceled it. I used a credit card on a previous order and then my card was used to purchase a couple burner phones in NY (I live in California). So my bank blocked further transactions from Rakuten and I'm sure not going to trust them with my credit card again!

Original review: June 14, 2016

Malaysian Rakuten is just like Russian USBARGAINONLINE! They are both crooked retail internet sites that take your money and run! Since both of the sites are based offshore they know that once they run your credit card there is NO WAY to get your money back. None of the credit card companies will help either because left the USA to do business. That is why terrorist groups place fake police equipment orders in the thousands of dollars with stolen credit card numbers (Usually Unknowing and Honest Tourists) and steal the product while the vendor gets Zero! So read many different reviews from different sites before you do business with an offshore company! Stay Safe and Shop Smart and remember they think of you as the GREEDY STUPID AMERICAN INFIDEL MORON!

Original review: May 5, 2016

Rakuten had all my information. I just wanted to sell office supplies. Just checked to see if somebody else was selling desktop business card holders, and they already processed the order, without me checking out. Contacted them in less than 5 minutes. It is a nightmare trying to cancel the order that I did not even place for $ 99.00.

Original review: April 27, 2016

Please, remember they are not an AMERICAN COMPANY! I should have gone to AMAZON? I got robbed by Rakuten.com! They stole my money $181.31, they lied about taking my money and then they said my bank was holding the money? That's another lie! If you don't believe me google their reviews? If you have been robbed by Rakuten.com or UNBEATABLESALE.com contact CONSUMER AFFAIRS and report them to law enforcement and ask your attorney!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

I ordered a tablet and 2 minutes after decided to cancel. I found the same one on Amazon for same price. My orders, said it would appear in 5 minutes and that I had 15 minutes to cancel an item without any problems. My new order never appeared, 15 and more minutes passed, there was no way of contacting them. I called Paypal and the charge went through. I started a dispute on Paypal for the charge to be reversed but doubt it will and the dispute process once charged is very complicated. I called my credit card and they said I had to wait until the charge was actually paid to dispute it. If this is how they are with charges I hate to think if something is wrong with the tablet. Stupid me for not listening to the reviews.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2016

Never use them! After purchasing over £300 worth of Christmas goods, and receiving only one, I emailed for them then to inform me the rest was out of stock, so, awaiting either a refund or my items to be dispatched and in stock. I left it a week, having heard nothing contacted them again... ignored. And again a few days later, of course, ignored.

I phoned them to be placed on hold for no less than FIFTY MINUTES! To then be hung up on. Queue more angry emails from myself, to which they responded to every single one with a copy and pasted message. To this day, I am still awaiting a refund and they are still ignoring every email. (Please note this is both the seller and Rakuten customer services themselves.) You'd think having been something as big as play.com and such a popular website they wouldn't be able to get away with this, alas they have. THEY FRAUDULENTLY STOLE ALL OF MY MONEY AND MY 9 YEAR OLD SON'S WE USED FOR XMAS PRESENTS. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I bought a titanium ring from Rakuten.com. They were more than happy to help me until they got their money. A stone fell out of it a couple of days later. And now after a month of emails I cannot get a response from them or the seller. Be careful who you buy from people.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

Simply put: slow shipping-- took 2 weeks to start the shipping process and another 2 weeks to arrive. Rakuten NEVER respond to emails-- you can request email all you want but you are NOT going to receive a response. All the reviews posted on their website are FAKE. You can't edit or post additional reviews on their website. If you bought something not as described, or never received, you are ON YOUR OWN. You'd better start contacting your payment bank and file a charge-back. Based on the above facts, you should have a good reason to believe they are scammers.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

Placed an order and paid with PayPal. I received confirmation email from them and PayPal which I still have. Waited and waited for product which was only a $10 shaving product which never arrived. Contacted their customer service, gave them the order number and their reply was they had no record. Contacted them again, no reply. Contacted them again using PayPal dispute contact, no reply. Filed a claim with PayPal who promptly said they will refund my money. Never used these people.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

2 months ago I purchased a Supercar Driving Experience day as a Christmas gift. Having used (play.com) Rakuten to buy a similar gift last year from the same merchant without any problems. This time when I received the email from the merchant I discovered the location the experience could be used was too far away to travel. It stated on the merchant's website I could cancel the order within 60 of purchase so I emailed the merchant who replied within 24 hours to inform me they would issue a refund back to Rakuten. This was 8 weeks ago. I have been emailing Rakuten each week since. Each time I get a confirmation email to let me know I will receive a reply within 48 hours (ha ha). Up to now I have not had 1 single reply. Over the years I have used play.com and have had no problems with them but it would appear since they have been taken over by Rakuten the company has taken a rather steep nosedive.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

I ordered a gift for my daughter for Christmas on Cyber Monday, I saved about $150. 2 weeks later they cancelled my order via a form email. I send a request for an explanation, nothing. I called, they gave me excuses, but were not able to explain why they couldn't fill the order. I was able to find the gift elsewhere but at full price. I won't order from them again. I also asked "google trusted stores" for help. But they only supported the store and didn't fulfill their obligation. Trusted doesn't mean trusted anymore I guess.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

Never buy anything form this fishy company. They initially accepted the order and payment through PayPal just to cancel it for nonpayment 5 days later. If you're looking for deals stay away from Rakuten because the deal you thought you got will be canceled and you lost on all the good prices you could have gotten on Black Friday from other decent merchants just like I did. For some reason this is a Google trusted store.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Called customer services as the points had not been credited onto my account. However, was told points can sometimes take 2/3 weeks to be credited. After few weeks, called again. Was told that the points had expired 3 days ago. I explained that the points did not become visible to me as I checked on a regular basis. Customer services basically said though, they could not do anything as they did not have the facility to credit points back into a customer's account after they had expired. Will not use again. Was made to feel like I was lying by customer services.

Rakuten.com Company Information