Rakuten.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered a 28" television at a great price for my mother as a gift. After waiting more than enough time to receive shipment, I started to inquire about package tracking. Only then did I realize that the order had been canceled. I searched my emails to find a notice of this, but none existed. I only saw where a credit was posted to my credit card, but no notice was given. When I looked up my order number, the only explanation was that "We were unable to ship". A simple email would have given me ample time to order a replacement from another source.

I received the following via email; "Dear Customer, We recently detected suspicious activity related to your Rakuten.com Account. To ensure the safety of your personal information, we have locked the account and you will have to reset your password. To reset your password, please use the following link:

https://secure.rakuten.com/AC/ForgotPassword.aspx. After providing the email address associated with your Rakuten.com Account, you will then receive an email with the instructions for resetting your password. We apologize for the inconvenience, but hope this speaks to our commitment to keep your information safe and secure. Sincerely, Rakuten.com Customer Support." I don't have, nor have I ever had, an account with Rakuten. The only way I even knew who they were was to google "Rakuten.com" which brought me here to this "ConsumerAffairs" page.

Granted, I only bought a $10 bottle of lotion, but after buying it simply because it was the lowest price (pretty much half price), & not researching the company/site until I was thinking about purchasing something else...Then being worried after reading all the reviews...I was pleasantly surprised! Arrived much quicker than expected (expected even before reading reviews). Ordered on Thur, arrived on Mon. Just what I ordered. Maybe it depends on what you order? My experience was great though. ; )

I received an email newsletter from Rakuten offering a laptop with a $50 rebate. The newsletter had a link to order the laptop by clicking on the link. The newsletter was sent at 12:10 pm and I clicked on the link at 2:05 pm, less than 2hrs later. The newsletter did not indicate this was a limited time offer and subject to change at anytime. I click on the link with a price of 179.99 but Rakuten attempted to charge my card 229.99. Fifty dollars more than the newsletter and link stated.

I immediately called my credit card co to withhold payment and they did (fortunately). Upon emailing Rakuten numerous times they indicated this was a limited time offer. When asked why that was not stated on the website/newsletter/link customer service said they did not know and there was nothing they could do about it. Said I can order the laptop at the higher price if I want it. I should have read the reports on this website as obviously Rakuten exists to take advantage of the consumer whenever and wherever possible. Lesson learned here!!

BUYERS BEWARE. RAKUTEN IS A SCAM!!! I ordered an iPhone from this site and after 5 days of not receiving any communication regarding shipping and the order in "processing" status still I reached out to the company who told me they had to contact the seller and I had to wait up to 3 business days for a response. It didn't sound legit, so I requested a refund and was told they couldn't provide one. It had to be done from the seller.

After she noticed I was getting a bit concerned and started asking lots of questions she started pretending like she could no longer hear me by saying, "Ma'am are you still there? I can no longer hear you and would need to end the call." Which she did. I immediately contacted my bank to start the process of trying to get my money back. Cautious as this company is overseas which makes it a lot difficult with the US banks. Also, BE AWARE. THIS COMPANY HAS OTHER ALIASES - Buy.com / Dulydeals.com - STAY AWAY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

I was happy when finding a site that handled PayPal well - even though their cost for the item was about $4 more than other less-friendly sites. They shipped the product quickly. But the first peek inside was an alarm. The case is unusable in its present state: back lose; mirror hanging by a thread; hinge bent; wood cracks in both top corners and in lower mirror frame - and these are just the things I found in the first 6 minutes. I hope to reassemble; use stronger hardware where possible and repair the wood splits. [Not sure that FedEx did not contribute to it - but the outside box showed no major hits. The guy did balance it on end at the door and fled. So he did not seem to have much respect for "fragile"].

But when going back to Rakuten to post a review, the order friendly site turned out to be just that - easy to order; really tough to make any observation. For "consideration" I am to contact someone else. They sell but apparently take no responsibility. I find it very hard to believe that the Rakuten showing of 5 stars would be possible with this shoddy product!

I ordered a Nikkor lens on July 6th and opened a credit card account to get the super points off the sale. The item was listed as 'processing' for 8 days. I emailed the seller and the company and received an email from The Camera Box that my receiver (??? did not order a receiver) was out of stock (in eBay) and that I could cancel for a refund... I questioned the email and they sent the same letter with lens in place of receiver. I was fortunate in that I was able to close the credit card acct. without losing any money. Did not get any responses from Rakuten until I cancelled the order. Buyer beware!!!

I tried to purchase an item using PayPal and they say the authorization failed. PayPal has no record of the attempted authorization. After asking Rakuten customer disservice to check on it, the response was "Issue resolved, contact PayPal." Tried again, they said "Issue resolved". I had not completed my order (well, gee, what idiots!) so they canceled it. I used a credit card on a previous order and then my card was used to purchase a couple burner phones in NY (I live in California). So my bank blocked further transactions from Rakuten and I'm sure not going to trust them with my credit card again!

Malaysian Rakuten is just like Russian USBARGAINONLINE! They are both crooked retail internet sites that take your money and run! Since both of the sites are based offshore they know that once they run your credit card there is NO WAY to get your money back. None of the credit card companies will help either because left the USA to do business. That is why terrorist groups place fake police equipment orders in the thousands of dollars with stolen credit card numbers (Usually Unknowing and Honest Tourists) and steal the product while the vendor gets Zero! So read many different reviews from different sites before you do business with an offshore company! Stay Safe and Shop Smart and remember they think of you as the GREEDY STUPID AMERICAN INFIDEL MORON!

Rakuten had all my information. I just wanted to sell office supplies. Just checked to see if somebody else was selling desktop business card holders, and they already processed the order, without me checking out. Contacted them in less than 5 minutes. It is a nightmare trying to cancel the order that I did not even place for $ 99.00.

Please, remember they are not an AMERICAN COMPANY! I should have gone to AMAZON? I got robbed by Rakuten.com! They stole my money $181.31, they lied about taking my money and then they said my bank was holding the money? That's another lie! If you don't believe me google their reviews? If you have been robbed by Rakuten.com or UNBEATABLESALE.com contact CONSUMER AFFAIRS and report them to law enforcement and ask your attorney!

I ordered a tablet and 2 minutes after decided to cancel. I found the same one on Amazon for same price. My orders, said it would appear in 5 minutes and that I had 15 minutes to cancel an item without any problems. My new order never appeared, 15 and more minutes passed, there was no way of contacting them. I called Paypal and the charge went through. I started a dispute on Paypal for the charge to be reversed but doubt it will and the dispute process once charged is very complicated. I called my credit card and they said I had to wait until the charge was actually paid to dispute it. If this is how they are with charges I hate to think if something is wrong with the tablet. Stupid me for not listening to the reviews.

Never use them! After purchasing over £300 worth of Christmas goods, and receiving only one, I emailed for them then to inform me the rest was out of stock, so, awaiting either a refund or my items to be dispatched and in stock. I left it a week, having heard nothing contacted them again... ignored. And again a few days later, of course, ignored.

I phoned them to be placed on hold for no less than FIFTY MINUTES! To then be hung up on. Queue more angry emails from myself, to which they responded to every single one with a copy and pasted message. To this day, I am still awaiting a refund and they are still ignoring every email. (Please note this is both the seller and Rakuten customer services themselves.) You'd think having been something as big as play.com and such a popular website they wouldn't be able to get away with this, alas they have. THEY FRAUDULENTLY STOLE ALL OF MY MONEY AND MY 9 YEAR OLD SON'S WE USED FOR XMAS PRESENTS. STAY AWAY!!!

I bought a titanium ring from Rakuten.com. They were more than happy to help me until they got their money. A stone fell out of it a couple of days later. And now after a month of emails I cannot get a response from them or the seller. Be careful who you buy from people.

Simply put: slow shipping-- took 2 weeks to start the shipping process and another 2 weeks to arrive. Rakuten NEVER respond to emails-- you can request email all you want but you are NOT going to receive a response. All the reviews posted on their website are FAKE. You can't edit or post additional reviews on their website. If you bought something not as described, or never received, you are ON YOUR OWN. You'd better start contacting your payment bank and file a charge-back. Based on the above facts, you should have a good reason to believe they are scammers.

Placed an order and paid with PayPal. I received confirmation email from them and PayPal which I still have. Waited and waited for product which was only a $10 shaving product which never arrived. Contacted their customer service, gave them the order number and their reply was they had no record. Contacted them again, no reply. Contacted them again using PayPal dispute contact, no reply. Filed a claim with PayPal who promptly said they will refund my money. Never used these people.

2 months ago I purchased a Supercar Driving Experience day as a Christmas gift. Having used (play.com) Rakuten to buy a similar gift last year from the same merchant without any problems. This time when I received the email from the merchant I discovered the location the experience could be used was too far away to travel. It stated on the merchant's website I could cancel the order within 60 of purchase so I emailed the merchant who replied within 24 hours to inform me they would issue a refund back to Rakuten. This was 8 weeks ago. I have been emailing Rakuten each week since. Each time I get a confirmation email to let me know I will receive a reply within 48 hours (ha ha). Up to now I have not had 1 single reply. Over the years I have used play.com and have had no problems with them but it would appear since they have been taken over by Rakuten the company has taken a rather steep nosedive.

I ordered a gift for my daughter for Christmas on Cyber Monday, I saved about $150. 2 weeks later they cancelled my order via a form email. I send a request for an explanation, nothing. I called, they gave me excuses, but were not able to explain why they couldn't fill the order. I was able to find the gift elsewhere but at full price. I won't order from them again. I also asked "google trusted stores" for help. But they only supported the store and didn't fulfill their obligation. Trusted doesn't mean trusted anymore I guess.

Never buy anything form this fishy company. They initially accepted the order and payment through PayPal just to cancel it for nonpayment 5 days later. If you're looking for deals stay away from Rakuten because the deal you thought you got will be canceled and you lost on all the good prices you could have gotten on Black Friday from other decent merchants just like I did. For some reason this is a Google trusted store.

Called customer services as the points had not been credited onto my account. However, was told points can sometimes take 2/3 weeks to be credited. After few weeks, called again. Was told that the points had expired 3 days ago. I explained that the points did not become visible to me as I checked on a regular basis. Customer services basically said though, they could not do anything as they did not have the facility to credit points back into a customer's account after they had expired. Will not use again. Was made to feel like I was lying by customer services.

Rakuten/Buy.com has on multiple occasions been a nightmare experience for my company. They false advertise shipping times, stock availability, and pricing, over and over again. When they make a mistake, they don't fix it, but lie to you over and over again hoping they might be able to do something about whatever issue is at hand. Until they realize they can't and well, then it's on you. Customer service has promised me Rakuten points for inconveniences but have never delivered them. I have wasted hours of time and had many business problems because of this company. I would recommend that everyone avoid this company like the plague.

I just wanted to warn anyone who is considering to become a seller on Rakuten. Do not! Their customer service support system is extremely unsatisfactory. They do not have a contact tel. number or a live chat and the only way to communicate with them is through email. Majority of the emails, they reply the day after. Therefore, when you needed an answer, your task is on hold until they reply back via email. When they do reply, their information is very vague. A few times they had an automatic reply stated that the person is no longer with Rakuten.com and all inquiries to contact the new customer rep with an email address enclosed. They seem to have a constant turnover on their customer service people.

I placed an order 6 weeks ago. The item never arrived. Both the seller and Rakuten have ignored all my emails chasing the item AND have ignored my requests for a refund. An automated response is sent stating I will get a response within 48 hours... but this is a lie. These people should NOT be allowed to rip customers off like this. I hope they get closed down.

Rakuten you should stand behind your name with quality! But that's not the case!!! I am a first time customer, and my experience with your company is a disgrace!!! Once I received my order, parts were missing and broken clearly. There were no quality check done before my order was sent to me. I am disgusted with your service! Be aware consumers!!! Before ordering from this company I would advise you to proceed with caution!!! Do your research!

I bought an Andrew James Grill from Rakuten.co.uk. When it did not arrive for 3 weeks I emailed them but got no response. When I called them, they told me to call Andrew James who said they did not see my order. When I called Rakuten again they said they would look into it. I did not hear from them, so after a week more I wrote on their Facebook page and contacted their European CEO via LinkedIn. Finally, they redid the order but they did not offer any kind of compensation for the mess-up they caused and for the stress and time they cost me.

I purchased a book early September and they took the money out right away, yet I never got my book. The site will not let you know the seller's info, so you must go through Rakuten.com to complain. My account still says processing and it is now the middle of October. I paid through PayPal, so at least I can and have filed a dispute through them to get my money back. I still have not received any response from Rakuten.com through PayPal either. They take your money and have nothing more to do with you. After I sent my complaint to Rakuten.com they had the nerve to send me a survey to ask if I was satisfied, yet they did nothing to address or fix the problem. I still get sales info emails almost daily, yet they won't refund me. It's madness. Save yourself the trouble and buy from anyone else.

Purchasing was originally ok. I then had the points to spend but none of my orders would go through, all came up with same error message. Even tried my husband and daughters cards. After phone calls and circa four months of emails they have been unable to resolve, say it is not their end but my credit card company can see the orders cancelled from Rakuten end. Hopeless! I suggested opening a new account and for them to transfer points to try and rectify problem. They couldn't do that.

I ordered a smartphone last week. Two days later they cancelled my order for no reason. They really suck. No support number to call. Their support never return your email. SO DISAPPOINT at Rakuten.

I purchased an $1800 All in One PC via the Best Buy Marketplace which stated it was actually via buy.com. I had previous experience with them and it was positive. I later find out it's rakuten.com. The PC arrived with bad pixel in center of screen. I've been trying to get it replaced and every time I contact them I keep getting told they will get back to me in 1 to 2 business days. It's been a week and this is all I hear. I have no idea who this company is but they are awful in their service!

I purchase a $1700 HP Zbook 15.6", 8GB memory, 1TB HD from buy.com aka Rakuten.com aka datavision.com via Best Buy Marketplace. The HP zbook is defective. It freezes every time we tried to download a software or surf the web. We brought it to the Geek Squad who told us to return the item. Why purchase an expensive "defective" computer. We agreed. So, I have been trying to obtain a authorization number from Rakuten.com to return the item. I am on DAY 5. I have been calling Rakuten.com 2-3 times a day. This is what I get: "I apologize for the inconvenience." "Your issue is with the 'specialist' who is investigating." "Please give us 1-2 business days to investigate." "My supervisor is talking to the specialist to resolve your issue." "Your computer is over $1600. It needs an approval from the specialist to return."

What are they investigation? No one could tell me. What is their definition of 1-2 business days? Are they on the same calendar system as us? I have spoken to 4 male supervisors. None were helpful. I went to Customer Service at Best Buy in Danvers. They listened in to the conversation with the agents at Rakuten.com. The customer service manager tried to talk to them but they refused to engage in a conversation with her. In fact, the Rakuten.com supervisor hung up on the customer service manager. Well, it has been 5 business days. No resolution. I am still on hold after 45 minutes +. Waiting. Getting very frustrated and angry. There has been no resolution. I called Best Buy Corporate twice and have yet to hear of a resolution.

Rakuten.com Company Profile