2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

BOTTOM LINE

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

PROS

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

CONS

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Top Rakuten.com Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

99% percent of the time rebates go through seamlessly… It's a no brainer to head onto Rakuten website and go through one of there links to receive money back on products I buy on a regular basis. I enjoy it very much and look forward to the reimbursement every time...

I’ve been using Rakuten.com for years. Getting money back each time I shop online is awesome. The site is easy to use, and if there are any questions, the member services department is right there to help you along the way. I highly recommend checking out Rakuten.com and making it a part of your onl

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten works with a wide variety of stores to give you cash back deals and discounts. With Rakuten, you receive cash back payments every three months, either through a check in the mail or via PayPal. The company’s browser extension tool lets you see deals when searching for products on the internet, and its Price Magic feature lets you see what percentage you’ll receive in cash back rewards.

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gives you access to coupons, sales and cash back rewards all in one place. Its website includes all of the brands and services it currently works with, including companies like Groupon, Ulta, Nike and Sephora.

Rakuten lets you shop any way you want and earn rewards. You can access its tools through Rakuten’s mobile app or shop from its website. You must add a credit or debit card to your account to use Rakuten’s mobile app features.

The Rakuten Cash Back Visa card lets shoppers earn up to 3% extra cash back on qualifying purchases and 1% cash back on all other purchases. The Cash Back Visa has no annual fees and comes with a zero-fraud-liability policy.

Is Rakuten free?

Signing up and creating an account on Rakuten is free for customers. When you make a purchase using Rakuten’s services, the company makes a commission or takes a percentage of the profit from the seller.

Rakuten FAQ

Can I trust Rakuten?
    Rakuten is an international company that takes precautions to ensure it complies with the General Data Protection Regulations. Reputable brands and stores trust Rakuten to provide promotions and deals to its customers.
    How do I contact Rakuten?
    Rakuten offers a help center on its website. Customers can also get more personalized help through their account after signing up.
    How do you use Rakuten in stores?
    To use Rakuten in stores, shoppers need to download the Rakuten mobile app. With the app, you select the store you’d like to shop at and see available offers. You then need to link the offer to your account and use your debit or credit card to make a purchase. It typically takes a few hours or days for the funds to appear in your account.
    What is the catch with Rakuten?
    There’s no catch to Rakuten, but you must buy items to earn cash back. Once your account has reached $5, the company releases cash back payments. Earnings depend on the amount you spend.

Is Rakuten legit?

Budget-savvy shoppers who would like to save while buying items they need should look into Rakuten’s discounts and cash back rewards program. We recommend Rakuten for families, avid shoppers and travelers who would like to earn rewards on their purchases.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

This is a scam. I received one check from them and now they have a cash balance on my account. They say, "Put your address in to get paid." I did this several times. A box comes up that says to verify my account they will send a code and they do not send it. This is a scam. Make no mistake about it. Do not sign up for this site.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I made a gift card purchase on 01/26. I used my debit card. There is money in my account to cover the purchase. A few minutes after the purchase I get an email from Rakuten telling me that my order didn't go thru. It said if there was an authorization that it would drop off within 48 hours. I immediately called my bank and was told that there was no reason why it wouldn't go thru. They got authorization. (It was pending on my account so my money is being held). My bank cannot dispute it since it was only pending. They told me to contact the merchant to have the authorization removed. I searched but could not find any phone number to contact Rakuten so I had to email them. I asked why the charge didn't go thru and said I wanted the authorization removed. They responded the next day to tell me that they couldn't discuss that over email but I can call and they provided a phone.

At this point I decided to just wait because the charge should be dropping off as it was close to 48 hours. After 3 days when the charge did not drop off, I called. The person I spoke to was useless. He couldn't answer why it didn't go thru or remove it. He told me he had to escalate it via email. I explained to him that they said they couldn't discuss it in email. He said because it was escalated that they would respond to me via email same day and that I would have to ask them. Makes no sense. So I wait for an email. I do get a response same day and it's the same email I got the first night. All it says is, 'Your charge didn't go thru and will drop off in 48 hours." I wrote back to once again ask why and to ask that they release my money as it is over 48 hours. They reply and tell me that my order is declined due to payment processing rules from the vendor. Additionally I will no longer be able to participate in the Rakuten gift card shop.

I have no idea what that means. I did nothing wrong. I made a purchase with my debit card and they got authorization. So I once again write back and ask for the authorization to be removed. They tell me that they and their partners are not able to do that. The "typical" time frame is 48 hours but it could take longer. So... They are holding my money for 4 days now (today is the 29th), I have no product and they are refusing to remove the authorization.

I called my bank again to see if they could help. They said that merchants have to remove the authorization that they cannot. So I emailed again. Rakuten responded and apologized and offered me a $50 bonus on my next order. That doesn't help me now as I need my money, and I will never use Rakuten again. This is terrible that they can hold someone's money for 4 days. As I said, I will NEVER do business with them again and if my money isn't available to me soon, I will be taking legal action.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I had several orders from different stores. I checked and no cashback. I was told I had to manually send in my 'order confirmation' from each order. Even though I used their app. Then 7 of my orders were denied because they said I didn't use the app. Very disappointed. You have 90 days to check "cashback' and put in orders yourself or you lose any cashback on those orders. There is nothing mentioned about that in the TV ad.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Rakuten offered $40 for the referrer and the new member. I found out about this because I was referred by a friend. So I took advantage of this and started referring family and friends. I made two purchases through Rakuten during this time as well and accumulated a total of $122.88. I was supposed to be paid out in Feb. However, for some reason rakuten has decided to close my account with no reason. I have reached out to them with no response. I don't think they understood how many people they would entice with this offer because halfway through they dropped the amount to $20. Rakuten saw how much they would have to pay me out and rather than being an upstanding company and pay what they agreed. Instead they just shutdown my account with no reason.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Too much hassle trying track $ and to get Rakuten to follow through. I was referred, opened an account, shopped, the bonus showed up in my account (which is paid out quarterly) then two weeks later they withdrew it from my account. Tried going through support, which is useless as well, and takes weeks to get a responses because they are only available via email. Don’t waste your time unless you have nothing better to do and go in with low expectations. You will spend most of your time tracking down $2-3 payouts that you will be lucky if they show up.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Ignore the people who say this is a good company as I'm sure they work there. This company is full of ignorant people who couldn't investigate their way out of a paper bag. The scam they ran this holiday for referring friends and family was a complete scam. I am part of three generations of men in the same family. We all have the same name except for our middle name which does not make us a III generation type name if you understand what I mean. 2 of us live at the same address while the third does not. We all signed up with our email and made qualifying purchases yet NONE of us got any bonuses that were promised.

I sent this in to them on Dec 7th 2020. "I DO NOT have more than one account. We are father and son.... TWO different people using TWO different methods of payment. You are incorrect. His email address is **. My fathers account is **. He also uses a different payment method and LIVES at a different address. You are incorrect. I should not be penalized because my son still lives in my home. Please fix this incorrect assumption by Raketen. Thank You."

Then I get this back finally in January 2021. Member Services (Rakuten). Jan 13, 2021, 4:02 PM CST. "Hello James, At this time, we are not able to make any changes to your Rakuten account. Our program does not allow members to create or manage multiple accounts. In some cases, we do remove members from our program. Lastly, the bonus program is restricted to members within the United States and Canada. We regret that you had this experience with Rakuten. Laura

Member Operations Analyst." End of story. They are completely wrong and I hope all of you heed my warnings. They don't care and they don't understand that men can have the same name. The promotion clearly asked you to invite as many friends and family as possible. I will never have anything to do with them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Tried multiple times to contact Rakuten customer support for a significant cash back offer that was not honored. No response. Never had problems like this back when it was Ebates, but Rakuten is completely untrustworthy.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I am visiting my parent in Japan and I bought sunglasses from Rakuten.co.jp paid by American chase CC and they did not accept my order. Next day they cancelled my order without any reason. I am so mad that they cancel my order without any reason. My credit score is perfect and it works. It is not because my credit card does not work. I never use it again. So bad.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I generally get the money, but have to stay on top of them to get it. 90% of the time I need to file a "Where's My Money" request before I get it. eBay seems to be the ONLY site where it processes quickly and automatically every time.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I was referred during their period of $40 welcome bonus and $40 for each person you refer which they also get their own $40. When I initially signed up, I said there's no way it's $40, but I saw the balance in my account and as soon as I saw the bonus I referred 3 family members who we have the same last name and also referred my boyfriend. Which we all used our own credit cards for purchases. We all saw our bonuses of $40 for the first few days and then they were gone. I emailed them multiple times and only got one response and they basically accused me of creating different emails to earn the bonus, and I responded that they were my immediate family which we have the same last name but they paid with their own credit cards!! And I'm not sure why I nor my boyfriend never received our bonus after referring him if we don't have the same address nor last name. So their welcome bonus was just a scam to get people to download the app.

Rakuten.com Company Information