1.29/5
Based on 112 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

293 Rakuten.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

BEWARE RAKUTEN’S COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS RESTOCKING FEES FOR A RETURN!! I bought a $50 clock and those thieving ** want almost half of that amount for a “restocking fee”! Complete ** Brick and mortar stores will be around for a long time to come - as long as online scammers like these Rakuten ** keep pulling ** like this!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Will never do shopping on Rakuten. Be Aware for Rakuten very poor service. I bought TV on Rakuten site on Thanks-giving and order has been accepted but after 3 days they cancelled order without specifying any reason for cancellation. It is really frustrating.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I bought a stroller off Rakuten that accommodates two newborns. After purchase I noticed how Rakuten had mostly bad one star reviews. I have to say I’m impressed. Not only did my stroller come with all of its parts and great shape but it’s sturdy as well as excellent quality. To top it off the price was $200 cheaper than other strollers with similar set up. Not sure why all the bad reviews - maybe disgruntled customers but my experience was amazing and they were fast with shipping too. I ordered last Friday and it came in today which is a Monday so within three days of ordering the stroller. :) I'd definitely buy again through Rakuten and I can’t wait for my twin girls to get here to use it. ❤️

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was sent an email with a $5 discount offer off my first ebook purchase with Kobo (Rakuten). But the offer wouldn't work due to a technical glitch, and Rakuten would not fix the problem after I contacted them, nor just give me the $5 off using a different method. They kept sending me the same response over and over again which said that I was ineligible because I had received a few free books. This was ridiculous because I had never purchased anything at this point.

The discount was only $5! Any other company with decent customer service would have gladly given their customer the discount and found a workaround to the technical difficulty. Not this one. They offered no apology, no workaround, no friendliness or sympathy. I have since cancelled my account and will never buy from them again. I would consider returning my Kobo for a Kindle if it were not for the library integration in Canada which is only available with a Kobo. Don't buy from them!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have been struggling just trying to spend some $ on Rakuten.com. The payment system is ridiculous. The orders are always "automatically cancelled because we cannot verify your payment information" when I entered every single piece of info correctly, and no one, I mean no one, is able to help. The CSR told me ** that it was cancelled by program, and they could not help me reinstate the order. It seems that computer is controlling human, much more powerful than human. I tried PayPal and it was cancelled again. I swear that once I am able to burn the points in my account, I will surely say goodbye to Rakuten.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We purchased a couch from this site, HOPING that it would just arrive (after reading these reviews of canceled orders and late deliveries). After all, it was priced about $300 lower than the closest competitor and we've been looking for about 4 months! Not only did it arrive, but it arrived WITHIN 2 DAYS OF ORDER (ordered Sunday, delivered Tuesday!)! It was packaged well and we received a courtesy call prior to delivery. It was in perfect condition, no missing parts, no broken boxes. Excellent purchase!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Rakuten writes a legally binding message on their website that states no payment option will be charged unless product is emailed or shipped. I got automatic cancellations about 10 times for nonspecific reasons except my payment information didn't add up. I did Straight card, PayPal, and Visa Checkout. All declined. I got a call from my fraud department at the bank saying some company called Rakuten has charged me 10 times for $100! $1,000 in money that was not just authorized, but charged. Now I have to take extra measures resolve this. I contacted support and they said it's just a hold, give it a few days. Here's $25, try it again without a coupon and IT WILL WORK! Sure enough, did it again and it got canceled. Bunch of fraudsters. File with the FBI, BBB, etc. This company is bad bad bad.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I must say that this company has a FANTASTIC person in Customer Support. His name is Rolaneil. I have run a very successful mail order business now for 44 years and I am very well aware of what it's like to deal with Customer Service at companies and I must admit that it is very rare to run into someone as cooperative and as efficient as this man is.

From what I understand RAKUTEN is a site where companies can go and sell things on it. I ordered a radio recently from this company's site (the store was 123 Stores I think) and was not satisfied with it and wanted to return it. They said no problem but that I would have to pay for the return postage which would have been something like $13. To me that's absurd. Maybe I'm just used to AMAZON or JET or Walmart etc where they will pay for the return post. Anyway 123 REFUSED to do so so I emailed Rolaneil at RAKUTEN. He was FANTASTIC! And he worked it out so that I could return it without paying the absurd return post cost! I would recommend ordering from RAKUTEN because if you have a problem and you contact Rolaneil he will take care of you incredibly well.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I ordered a Tacoma fender on the 30th. Now is the 7th and they have not shipped my part and they won't tell me when will it be shipped. I'm not happy at all. I will never order from this Rakuten again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I ordered a couple of ink cartridges and the next day I received an email that the order was ‘Canceled by merchant because product is out of stock’. Then the online popup ads links to the same item now at about a 2 ½ times greater price. They did not respond to my complaint.

Rakuten.com Company Information