Rakuten.com

Rakuten.com Reviews

3.5/5 (243 ratings)

About Rakuten.com Reviews

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

Pros

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

Cons

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Bottom Line

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I am visiting my parent in Japan and I bought sunglasses from Rakuten.co.jp paid by American chase CC and they did not accept my order. Next day they cancelled my order without any reason. I am so mad that they cancel my order without any reason. My credit score is perfect and it works. It is not because my credit card does not work. I never use it again. So bad.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I generally get the money, but have to stay on top of them to get it. 90% of the time I need to file a "Where's My Money" request before I get it. eBay seems to be the ONLY site where it processes quickly and automatically every time.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I was referred during their period of $40 welcome bonus and $40 for each person you refer which they also get their own $40. When I initially signed up, I said there's no way it's $40, but I saw the balance in my account and as soon as I saw the bonus I referred 3 family members who we have the same last name and also referred my boyfriend. Which we all used our own credit cards for purchases. We all saw our bonuses of $40 for the first few days and then they were gone. I emailed them multiple times and only got one response and they basically accused me of creating different emails to earn the bonus, and I responded that they were my immediate family which we have the same last name but they paid with their own credit cards!! And I'm not sure why I nor my boyfriend never received our bonus after referring him if we don't have the same address nor last name. So their welcome bonus was just a scam to get people to download the app.

Rakuten.com response

For an order to be eligible for Cash Back, they must be placed by the Rakuten member and not anyone else. We reserve the right to withhold, deny or cancel any bonuses and/or rewards and/or terminate your account if Company, in its sole discretion, deems any bonus and/or reward as fraudulent, abusive, unethical, suspicious or otherwise inconsistent with the General Terms and Conditions or any other applicable law or regulation. Our decisions are final.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I've used Ebates now Rakuten approximately 6 years or so. My experience is it infrequently records shopping transactions and doesn't award cash back unless a request is submitted. They only seem to honor the request for the missing cash back when the amount is under $10, anything over they refuse to acknowledge the transaction. I know I've used the app correctly as I've navigated back to the Rakuten app after the store purchase and it's shown a shopping trip but surprise, no cash back is awarded unless I submit a request.

And if the amount is of the cash back seems to be over $10 they have always denied the transaction. They have fraudulently kept upwards of a few hundred 'cash back rebates' from my shopping trips. Multiply that by thousands of shoppers and that's a huge sum of commission cash back rebates from merchants they are keeping and not all allocating to the consumer. It's fraudulent practices and they should be investigated.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Kathleen - We'd love to take a look and see why your purchases aren't tracking. Please email us at facebookhelp@rakuten.com and we'll help troubleshoot this issue.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I placed a purchase on ToryBurch.com on 11/11 this year with a cash back deal of 12 or 15% through Rakuten. The order got lost, so Tory Burch resent me a new bag on 11/16. The cash back was still there until this week. Rakuten took it away. I contacted them to explain the situation and they told me to cancel the order and replace a new one. If you follow their site, you would know that Tory Burch usually doesn’t offer cash back deal for more than 2 or 3%. How do I place another order now to get 15% cash back deal back in November????

They said if the store modifies the order in anyway, then the consumer will not get cash back. That’s ridiculous. It was not my fault that my order was lost. Shouldn’t they challenge Tory Burch about that lost order? It was not my fault that I didn’t get my bag as I was supposed to. Especially when I followed Rakuten rules to place that order through their site. If it’s not my fault, why would I be punished for it? Also, as the customer above mentioned, I got two transactions with The Children’s Place and Ann Taylor which didn’t provide cash back. We wouldn’t bother going through Rakuten to place purchases IF a store didn’t provide cash back in the first place. Ebates was much better and less troubles than Rakuten.

Rakuten.com response

Please send this information over to facebookhelp@rakuten.com. We will need to see copies of the order confirmations including the order numbers, products purchased, and full price breakdowns. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

As another reviewer mentioned, I also fell victim to the scam encouraging me to sign people up for $40 bonus. My friend also enrolled, spent over 150 and we both got the credit then days later it was gone. Another friend enrolled and spent a lot, no referral bonus. I contacted customer service but they gave a vague answer that while it qualified at the time, it didn't qualify anymore. No specific answer about what changed, a resolution or intent to make sure to earn what I was promised. How can you follow the rules, earn it under the rules and once they get what they want (the sign up and all the purchases) you change the rule after? I am owed $80 and both of my friends are each owed $40. Do not refer people because it seems like a scam to inflate their user base.

Rakuten.com response

At Rakuten we are very proud of the generous incentives we offer to people who refer new members. These referral incentives are awarded for new members who have never signed up before and who do their own shopping through Rakuten. Our automated systems try to prevent us from paying referral bonuses which do not meet this criteria. If you think our systems have made an error and would like our customer service team to take a second look, please email us the details at facebookhelp@rakuten.com.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I was referred by someone under the premise that you’d buy something through the Rakuten website or app and then get cash back. Sounds like a scam right? But I figured, why not. I need to get some Christmas presents and I already shop online. First off, their account creation system is a whole mess. Even though I’m a millennial, I struggled creating an account and somehow between the app and the website, two accounts were created for me. Rakuten didn’t tell me this; I had to do all the research myself. How I struggled creating an account: every time I would login it would tell me I didn’t have an account or my password is wrong. It would keep asking me to create an account and wouldn’t move on until I had.

In addition to my struggles with account creation I noticed that the $40 cash back offer that I initially was enticed by was not in my account, even though I had used the referral link every time. That was the first red flag. I had to go jump through another hoop by linking that person's referral link again and waiting 24 hours for rakuten to “approve” it. When that didn’t work, I emailed them to ask why two accounts had been created for me and why the $40 offer wasn’t valid.

I first sent them an email on 11/19/20. They stopped replying to me on thanksgiving without resolving the issues with my account, saying they’d send my request to a specialist and wouldn’t reply until they had more information. I sent another inquiry on 12/6/20 and they still haven’t responded. As of the time of writing this review The issues still haven’t been resolved and I don’t think rakuten ever will. It appears like rakuten has either closed my issue and blocked my email or they just don’t care to respond.

They only pay out four times a year, probably time for them to find issues with your account and invalidate any promotions they offer. All of this occurred after I had spent over $250 through their app and website, so it’s not like I was not a paying customer. I am loathe to recommend this website to any of my friends or family due to this negative experience. God forbid you need to return any of the items you bought from a company because I’m sure rakuten would be quick to invalidate your account after getting what they want from you: selling your information and consumer habits.

Rakuten.com response

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I spent ~same price as for a brand new iPod to buy an iPod at their website. Strongly suspecting it is refurbished. The battery runs very fast, the same problem as the refurbished one I purchased from Amazon earlier. Very disappointing. Will not buy from them again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

They had a refer and earn $40 promo at that time. My friend enrolled and shopped and it qualified for her to get $40 and so did I. Our $40 was in our account and days later it was gone. I repeatedly contacted customer service but didn’t get back to me with a resolution or explanation why it happened.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Rakuten isn't crediting the account if cash back is more than $5.00. The last big 3 purchases (legit and confirmed purchases) made were nor awarded with promised cash back. I had to contact and follow up weekly for over the month, and the answer received from a supervisor Alison (who was very rude and sounded she doesn't care how Customers feel) that the final decision is made to not credit the account as they (according to her-and how we, customers of Rakuten, have to believe?! or check if it is true) did not receive it from the Merchants.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Polina - For an order to be eligible for Cash Back, we must receive credit from the merchant. This is what allows us to pass along Cash Back. Our team is currently looking into your missing purchases and they will be in touch once they have received a response from the merchant.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have been using Rakuten for years, when it used to be ebates. I booked many vacations through this site over the past year. They have not applied any cash back. It just shows as pending. When I did call about the oldest one, I was given a very hard time to get my cash back. They wanted details which are already showing on my account. It was through email and it's like they don't even read the emails, they just give standard replies. I finally called a telephone number today because I had some extra time to deal with this, and only after I was on hold for 20mins did I get transferred to leave a voicemail. This is ridiculous. Is this company getting their kickbacks from IHG and not giving customers their rebates? The only time I have no problem with cash back is when it is for a few dollars in rebates.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Kathleen - We'd be happy to take a look at your missing IHG Cash Back. Please keep in mind that IHG only offers Cash Back on commissionable rates. If it is a business rate or a speciality negotiated rate, it won't be available for Cash Back.

Please email us at facebookhelp@rakuten.com so we can take a look at your account for you. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

So I got to know a about Rakuten's referral bonus. Then I got a referral link and signed up. Made a purchase and received referral bonus too. All looked good. Next day when I woke up, bonus was gone from account. Tried reaching out to customer care, no response yet. I did not lose anything as such apart from time I spent on signing up and navigating to shop.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I was a happy and loyal eBates customer and had no issues with their service in 2019, however, when they changed to Rakuten, everything seems to have fallen apart rapidly. Checks always came fairly quickly and I never had to look up the progress or follow-up. Now, after nearly a year of placing orders on sites such as Vitacost (amounting collectively to thousands of dollars), I realized that I have yet to receive ANY cash back checks from them for the entire year!

When I checked my balance, not a single order was accounted for in my "Shopping Trips" section and yes, I followed the same exact procedures every time I placed an order. (First click on Rakuten, then the Vitacost link, then a confirmation came up indicating that the cash balance was applied and nothing more to be done on my end.) I went to Rakuten's Help section and started to manually log in every single transaction on my end from the most recent date going backwards. After a few entries, it appears that I could no longer enter anymore information and got back a standard "email will be sent to you" message. This is very frustrating. I am owed a substantial amount of money.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I ordered a new iPhone 11 Pro Max $1149.99 through Rakuten for AT&T wireless. The offer was for $75 cashback. They keep asking for the order number which I have provided roughly 7-8 times. I also sent them actual copies and screenshots of the order and they are still asking for the order details and number. They even sent a few emails WITH my order number attached as if they don’t have the information. I had the same issue a few months ago. I placed an order for $360+ for tires and again no cashback. It’s like pulling teeth to get cashback for anything purchased over $150.

Years ago I went on vacation for a week and my car rental charges were in excess of $380+ and the percentage was 9%. They reduced Budget car rental to 3%. Tired of fighting with these people. Not a very honest company. Make sure you review your account because some shopping trips disappear. I’m going to try Honey.com. My friend says it is better than eBates/Rakuten.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

This referral and welcome bonus program offered by Rakuten is a big joke ever in my life. It is simply cheating. I have the same experience with others here. This is the worst company I met so far and its customer service is not helpful at all. I was referred by a friend via WhatsApp to join Rakuten on 13 Oct 2020 and I made a purchase for over USD30 on the same day. Then I referred to some of my friends via WhatsApp and two of them opened the accounts and made some purchases over USD30 as well.

The first day I received all the referral bonus and welcome bonus for USD90, then the 2nd day everything was gone. I contacted the Customer Service ("CS") and they said it was because I violated their terms and conditions in which they used an excuse that their IT dept. found that I have opened many accounts, but THAT IS NOT THE TRUE. All the referrals are really my friends, they are not even my relatives. I have sent them the referral link via WhatsApp. We use different email addresses for registration and of course use different credit cards to purchase. I even showed the CS some screen captures of WhatsApp of my friends to prove that we are not the same persons.

After a few attempts, they only keep saying I violate their T&C without providing me any further proof. The last emails, after I showed them the proof, they said the case is closed without further explanation. I even find one of my friend's account is blocked too. I'm so fierce about that. If Rakuten is not ready to give out your bonus, don't do it and cheat people around. And your IT dept. is so incapable too that they cannot find out whether accounts are not related. Don't trust this company and don't waste your time for this kind of programs offered by Rakuten. This company is a big liar and is a real scam. I will also write a letter to their CEO Mr. Hiroshi Mikitani to show that how incapable is this US subsidiary.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Given the plethora of 1-star reviews, it's obvious the company is doing something wrong. They task the Marketing dept to push "refer-a-friend" to get the new account (and hopefully cashback) metrics UP. Then task the Operation dept to shoot down referral bonus with arbitrary "fraud"/"abuse" accusations without proofs or evidence. These 2 contradictory directives wound up driving up customer complaints. Their Ops group treats members like thieves. The time to test for fraud is at/b4 sign-up, not a week before the "big fat checks" are to be issued with misleading "cashback bonus $**" all along that they have no intention to ever pay.

To extend the Fraudulent Business Practice theme, the cashback earned and then "forfeited" by these arbitrarily labeled "abuse"/"fraud" accounts are certainly NOT returned back to the vendors. They are kept by Rakuten, without even a thank you. The info from these same locked out "fraud" accounts remains part of Rakuten's Big Data cash cow. The above goes beyond operational process breaks that caused missed cashbacks or use wrong %. They are Business Practices that are setup to be fraudulent in the realm of Racketeering and we have even touched upon the USE of the data collected.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Do not trust anyone working in Customer Services Dept, and not recommend to open this account for this company. Find a better cashback company as I recommended. People working in this Department always told you that they can manually added but when you sent them a receipts and things are never happened and change to different direction as you need to go through their website, you have login more and they will lower the cashback. Do not trust this company as what they said.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I have loved Ebates/Rakuten for years. Used to refer them to all my friends and family. One day when making a purchase I can't access my account so I email them. They said I have high activity on my account and asked me to explain why, which I did. They terminated my account because I shop too much. They are also very rude and told me to go elsewhere. I think it is a scam that they constantly cancel people's account and steal their money. I believe this is what happened to me too. I can't believe they think they can get away with it. Over the years my account said I saved $4520.82. I still have about $350 to be paid out.

Hi Kim,

Rakuten reserves the right to withhold, deny or cancel any bonuses and/or rewards and/or terminate your account if Company, in its sole discretion, deems any bonus and/or reward as fraudulent, abusive, unethical, suspicious or otherwise inconsistent with the General Terms and Conditions or any other applicable law or regulation. Our decisions are final.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Spare yourself grief and avoid this company in all capacities. They have very poor customer service and business practices and clearly do not concern themselves with treating people with respect. I was referred to them to register for their affiliate network by a company I am already an affiliate for, that was partnering with them, and when I applied they repeatedly cancelled my account, stating I was in violation and a threat to the integrity of their network, and then stating they don't have to give me a reason for cancelling my account, and from other reviews I have found about them, this is their normal business practice. The company that was partnering with them backed out of their partnership with them too, thankfully. Seriously, find someone else to do business with. This company is bad news.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I am still waiting to receive my cash reward of 20% for a purchase made through Shoes.com that Rakuten sponsored. Numerous inquiries to Rakuten yield absolutely no response whatsoever. In addition, I have provided them with the necessary proof of purchase from the transaction on numerous occasions. I am somewhat bewildered, baffled, and disappointed. I hope my problem can be rectified by Rakuten as soon as possible.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Bart - Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com and our team will take a look at this for you right away.

Resolution response: Sept. 22, 2020

Rakuten customer service communicated a response in a timely manner after this complaint. The cashback was provided for this valued customer. I thoroughly appreciate Rakuten responding. I will continue using their services and recommend their site.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I did lots of product comparison and selected to buy a mattress from Idle Sleep through Rakuten because they had a Labor Day sale of 30% off AND 10% cashback. I shopped through Rakuten to Idle Sleep. The coupon code was FROM Rakuten for 30% off. I have yet to receive the 10% cashback. I have communicated at length with customer service and provided the order summary. They say I either used another site's coupon or shopped from another site. My browser history shows I shopped at Rakuten directly to Idle Sleep then checkout and PayPal. I expect my 10% cashback since I followed their rules and shopped directly through their site and only used their coupon code. I am not new to senates-Rakuten it’s not like I forgot how to shop and get cashback. They are refusing to uphold their cashback deal.

Rakuten.com response

Hi ALisha - Our Member Services team can take a look at this for you. Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I loved this when it was Ebates but for some reason, new name, new problems. Had major issues with getting credit for purchases. Was told to make sure that I do not open any other windows on computer between the Rakuten site and the store that I am shopping in. I have made many online purchases but only received credit for one transaction. Got tired of calling in so decided to try another website that provides the same service. Too bad, I like ebates a lot!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I cannot access my account and have more than $700 cashback. I have emailed them back a couple of times and have not heard back from them. Always give the same answer, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Rakuten.com response

Hi Matheus - We can take a look at that for you. Please send us an email at Facebookhelp@Rakuten.com so our team can assist you right away.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Here is the order of events: I purchased "Monarch Specialties Computer Desk - 60"L " for $239.08 at Rakuten.com. Seller was ISave and more than 10 were available. Less than 24 hrs later, they cancelled my order saying the item was backordered, etc. I checked my account and went to "My Orders" and hit the item I ordered. Here it was. It was available now at $384.95 by same seller, ISave. Bottom line is they did not want to honor their own advertised price of $239.08 and/or they became greedy thinking to sell it for more money. Mind you, the $239.08 was not overly cheap anyway. It was an average price. Very poorly managed, bad firm. I will have to cancel my account with Rakuten.com. Lesson learned, there is a good reason why good companies are good companies. For instance Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Sam's Club, Target.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have made an order back in Feb for some face towels, however I never receive my paid merchandise. I have emailed them back a couple of times and have not heard back from them. Just to be fair, their confirmation came written in Japanese, when I write to them, I have copied the original content but still have no response. Please help!

Below is the details:
7 items from Rakuten Ichiba 8520円
Ordered from
Rakuten Ichiba
Total cost
8520円
Items

レインボーベアは今治タオル新柄ループ付きタオル【コロン】カラーをお選び下さい(Co13), 新柄ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【ファイン】カラーをお選びください(Fa11), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル2】カラーをお選びください(St2-11), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル】カラーをお選びください(st13), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スタイル3】カラーをお選びください(st3-16), ループ付きタオルレインボーベア 【スキップ】カラーをお選びください(Skp13), レインボーベア・今治タオルループ付きタオル【フラッグ】カラーをお選びください(Fla16)

I was charged 9225 Japanese Yen in February and Have NOT Received the shipment ! PLEASE FOLLOW UP !!

Hi Magdalen,

Thanks for your patience. We were able to get a hold of the Rakuten Ichiba member support team and made them aware of your incident. They asked that you message the following:

Online Webform: https://ichiba-en.faq.rakuten.net/form/summary-inquiry

Email Address: ichiba-en@faq.rakuten.co.jp

Apologies for the back and forth, but they will be able to help you there :)

Original review: July 8, 2020

I bought a Samsung washer & I particularly chose the website as Rakuten was giving back 10% cash back on that day, The washer cost me $638.96, I should have got back $63.89 as cash back, instead I got only 19.17 which is 3%. They conveniently choose the day the cash back is the least to process the transaction and not the day of the shopping trip.

Another purchase I made at Nike.com for a pair of shoes is not being processed as they are waiting for the cash back percentage to reduce. All I want to point out is that I will not decide my shopping choices on the percentage of cash back because they do not honor the cash back as seen on the day of the shopping trip, They wait for it to reduce and they add the cash back.

Hi Supriya,

Thanks for reaching out. We took a look at your account and see that Samsung had reported some appliances with the incorrect Cash Back percentage to us, which has now been corrected. Nike takes up to 7 days to finalize Cash Back to us, but the Cash Back will be based on the percentage offered on the day of your shopping trip. The Cash Back should now be seen in your account for both orders. We always want our members to receive the Cash Back they earn. If you have any further questions or concerns, always feel free to email us at memberservices@rakuten.com and our team will be happy to assist.

Original review: June 26, 2020

When they were Ebates, I would get cash back. Now out of all of my shopping trips, I get nothing. And it says the stores were not offering cash back. That's such BS. I wouldn't use Rakuten if the stores were not offering cash back. The "shopping trip" start when you go to Rakuten, find the store and then you hit "Shop Now." If you do not hit shop now, there will not be a shopping trip in your account. So why would I hit Shop Now through them if they are not offering cash back? Makes no sense. It is such a scam. I ordered from GlassesUsa.com and both times, I had a large order (glasses aren't cheap) and they had offered 2.5% cash back. Well guess what, Rakuten says they didn't. I ordered through Ulta, through Macys etc and I have the shopping trips, but no cash back. SCAM and makes me upset because I could have used RetailMeNot but I chose to use this site. Go through any other cash back site, do not use them!!!

Hi Carey,

Thanks for reaching out. After looking into your account, it appears that your Cash Back issues have been resolved. We've just reached out via email so if there are any outstanding orders, feel free to send them along :)

Original review: June 25, 2020

I am so frustrated with Rakuten: I ordered my first two items from them and each had a problem: one sent to the wrong address; one sent the wrong item. Neither one of those were anything I did wrong yet I STILL have not received either a refund or a correct product. I tried customer service who PROMISED me I would get refunded and nothing ever happened-- it's been three weeks.

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your patience. This order issue was about Rakuten Marketplace, not our Cash Back site. We reached out to this business regarding your issues and were notified that the issue has been resolved and you were refunded. If you have any further questions, you can email them at support@customersupport.rakuten.com.

Original review: June 11, 2020

This place is a total fraud. The whole purpose of this business is cash back on your shopping. I shop a lot. Is that a bad thing? Isn't that what they want? They sent me emails of my cash back from purchases. However when time came to pay, they did NOT. They claim that my purchase are fraud? Uhh, no idea what that means and no one will explain. Basically I shop a lot and now they don't want to pay for my shopping. Well guess what, close your company because that is essentially what your business is! They barely return my emails and when they do, they come up with a new excuse to not pay me. They make up the rules as they go. This company needs to be shut down!

Original review: June 10, 2020

They have deleted my account, with more than 30$ cashback waiting for payment. No message before deleting, alltought that is bad enough, they dont even give me any information why they have deleted it. STAY AWAY!!!!

Hi Sabine,

Our system periodically removes accounts that are in violation of the site's Terms of Use which allow members to have only one account. We have found a number of accounts in violation of our site's terms related to yours.

You can view the terms of membership on our site here: http://www.rakuten.com/help/terms_and_conditions.htm

Rakuten.com Company Information