3.6/5 (263 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I ordered a photo puzzle of our trip to Egypt as a Christmas gift for my husband. The images in the picture were good quality and the puzzle looks pretty good; but the quality of the puzzle is really poor. The puzzle pieces are so thin and flimsy that some were damaged on arrival. Once two pieces are connected they almost cannot be touched again or the least movement will cause them to separate. That makes it very difficult to actually connect all of the pieces together. The pieces are smallish and very unusually shaped, and the picture of the completed puzzle on the front of the box is very small. All of that contributes to making it a difficult puzzle. We also received a Christmas photo puzzle of our cats from a friend and the quality of that puzzle was excellent. I don't know about other Shutterfly products, but I recommend puzzleyou.com for photo puzzles.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

Website promised photo travel mug December 23 because I paid extra $17.99 for expedited shipping. Tracking says December 28 by 9:00 pm. Now I have to pay to remail to my son, who was home for Christmas. Customer service does not care and gave me a different date every time I called.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

We ordered Christmas cards on November 1 and got December 19th with nothing but a sorry so needless to say we can't get these out before Christmas. Never will buy from them again as they don't give a darn about customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I have dealt with Shutterfly in the past and all went well. This year, I decided to make another calendar and to get 8 of them. I spent a couple of days making and saving my project. The project, although saved disappeared. I was able to retrieve it after spending several hours wait to get a live person to fix things. I paid extra for shipping to get the calendars and to get tracking. Three times, Shutterfly sent me emails saying that they had shipped the calendars. Since I had tracking, I knew that they had not.

When I called, they admitted that they had a printing delay and the calendars were not even printed. After spending hours on hold, I was able to make sure that the calendars were printed and mailed. Then they sent me one calendar instead of five. I got nowhere with their "chat" so again I had to spend a long time waiting to speak to a real person. They cannot contact their print department so no sure word on when my calendars will show up. I think that they have deteriorated in the past couple of years.

Resolution response: Dec. 15, 2022

Was able to receive a full refund after trailing on chat for over an hour. They wanted to send me a replacement product and would not pay for me to return the defective product sent so after being on chat for over an hour they refunded me 100%. I appreciate that but having to be on chat for over an hour is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

I ordered two custom Christmas ornaments which were photos of my two dogs and they were glitter dots stuck to the photo so you can’t even see the photos of the dogs! I tried to contact customer service and nobody answered. I emailed them and I’m hoping they are going to respond. However, just to be safe, I am disputing the charges on my credit card. So disappointing that a company so large doesn’t have the capacity to respond and provide appropriate customer service. I won’t order from them again!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

Ordered 150 photos to work on grandkid's photo albums and every one of them had scratches across them. 100% satisfaction guarantee is a joke as you have to pay for return shipping!! Guarantee should also include return shipping. Apparently something was in printer that scratched every one of them! They’ve lost my future business!! Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I had worked for 5 days trying to select & fix pictures for an 8 x 11 personalized calendar. I kept getting message saying the pictures were blurry. I had it in my cart & spent hours every day trying to fix it. The price had always been $17.99. It is very tedious & time consuming selecting & downloading photos. I used to use Collage.com without any issues, but unfortunately they were bought out by another company & are no longer in business. I finally got it so that the pictures were as clear as they could get. Imagine my dismay when I went to check out & the price had jumped to $22.99. I live chatted with them & was told prices can go up whenever & there was nothing they could do. I told her I thought it was because it is Cyber Monday today & they are trying to rip people off. I told her I would use a different company because that is ridiculous!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Used them for years. Always get mail with coupon codes for discount. Placed an order and forgot to use my coupon code, so I canceled the order and reordered using the code. The price ended up being higher than the previous canceled order price without using coupon code. Turns out they just really up the cost of the item and you get NO DEAL. Don’t waste your time with coupon codes, it’s false advertisement. Also the shipping is outrageous!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I have been user of Kodak gallery which rolled over to Shutterfly. So, to start with I didn't choose Shutterfly. It was forced on me. I had ordered many things in past through Kodak and Shutterfly too. No dramas. I Live in Australia and my parents in India. I created photo book of all our memories and wanted to give them surprise on specific date. I had placed order 1 month back. I had selected pics and written down description of each page. Over 2 -3 days of enthusiastic energy imagining they will enjoy end product when received. After being convinced, I placed order. To start with, none of their promo code works like Shippit or blah blah...I check in status of tracking after a week of due date and shocked to see items undeliverable and will be disposed off due to regulations. I got online and escalated calls. Some said they might have dropped letter to collect from local shop and other said you/recipient may have received email.

They used 3rd party courier without notifying me. Since it was surprise, I had not told my parents about it but now I had to reveal them. Upon checking with them online they said, "Sorry we can't control once it has left us. We can either refund or reorder." I can't afford to trust them another week and wanted to gift them so I said track the parcel and deliver. I gave them contact number of my father and email. On the email, address was incorrect to what I supplied. Local company said we can deliver only to address provided and Shutterfly said we only put address provided at time of order. Both made joke of my order.

Never ever use Shutterfly. They didn't provide any contact number of third party or their own. They have robots installed. No humans. Local delivery person didn't give his details too to my father....That company is UPS utterly rubbish. Whatever the outcome is, I will download my pics and cancel my account with them....If you are planning to create account with Shutterfly..Don't! Stop right now.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I used to be a fan of this company and have made several picture books that I was very pleased with. However, my latest experience with this company is my last. I ordered professional prints in multiple sizes. One of the prints is a 5x7 they printed but the prints they sent they had cut out part of the actual picture. The result was what looked like a floating head because they cut out the bottom of the print which was the chest. The worst was the two 8x10 prints they sent me. They put them in a paper envelope with only a very thin piece of cardboard for protection. The envelope is not even marked “pictures - don’t bend.” So, the envelope was stuck in the mailbox, bent. Reached out to them and they sent out a second order and those were packaged the same way and also arrived damaged.

I contacted them again and asked if they could be packaged with more protection and overnighted as these were gifts that were now late. I was told they could not overnight but they would expedite this order. The third order arrived in a week, which was only one day sooner than the last two orders. Guess what? Packaged the same way and arrived once again- damaged! This is totally unacceptable. There are too many other available companies to use. I’m done with Shutterfly. Think twice before you consider them.

Shutterfly author review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team