1.27/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

129 Shutterfly Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I purchased a toiletry bag for my husband as a thank you for all he had done for in the last 18 months since my back surgery. The bag was the size of a tube of hand cream. After the order was placed the confirmation stated a child's toiletry bag, since when do kids need a toiletry bag anyway! The bag was promoted for pictures in the bag so the material should not have been a issue. It was a $22 order and additional $35 for shipping but beings I was getting free pics I overlooked that because truthfully nothing is free. The quality and the size of the bag was just sickening and I really don't have time to get something else. They offered me a $14.00 coupon for more of their junk! I said NO!!! What's wrong with people to let merchandise go out that looked like a 3 year old did, well not to insult 3 year olds - they could have done better.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We ordered custom wedding invitations using the online service to Shutterfly. We paid more to have custom lined envelopes that were pretty. When the invitations arrived at our house to mail out we discovered that the envelopes are actually PLAIN... And we were supposed to assemble all of them ourselves. Have to peel a sticky tape off of each piece of paper and shoving it in the envelope to give the appearance of a real lined envelope... In addition doesn’t go all the way across the page the corner of peel up. It looks cheap.

When I called to alert them a customer service rep offered to just refund the upgraded money for the custom envelope but the fact remains I have to do these myself for over 100 envelopes and she said it’s always been like this. They always get complaint. They know the envelopes are not really custom and yes they know it advertises that way anyway.

Get expert buying tips about Online Photo Printing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I dropped the top to my mug, and it shattered. It wasn't even that old. Shutterfly doesn't sell replacement tops. I have to get a whole new mug. Very frustrating and wasteful! Why can't they sell the tops separately? I have to believe I'm not the only one with this problem.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have ordered their blankets for 8 years - 7 of those years for our football players. They had the best blankets. Well in 2018 they changed them - their material w/ the blankets they are horrible. They have had replace 2 I ordered 3x on football. Ordered 22. They had to replace 5 of them then again 2 more. Their blankets use to be thick, now very thin like cotton t-shirt. So very sad. Then got a blanket w/ my dogs on it. It was blue on the bottom of the blanket. The material is out of it. So now they have replaced this blanket 4x. Their products are great products but now they have changed the blanket material. They are terrible. Just beware. So thin it pulls the threads out of it. Such a shame.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I bought 155 matching envelopes, liners, and save the date cards in November for my wedding in September totaling in over $200 (much more expensive than some of your competitors but I figured this would mean higher quality — NOPE). It took me a few months of handwriting addresses a little at a time every night and putting in the envelope liners. I finally finished up this weekend and stamped all of them with my own return address stamp (that I now have to buy new ink for to re stamp another 150 envelopes). As I begin to put postage stamps on them and seal them, I realize the adhesive on the envelopes isn’t sealing.

I called Shutterfly and after 45 minutes of being told they “had never dealt with this” as if I was lying and asked me to ship everything back as if I wanted to waste more time with this company, the best I was offered was 30% off my next purchase (which will absolutely never be happening based solely on this experience), a $50 refund and a new set of the SAME envelopes. So, I’m back to square one of rewriting, re stamping and re inserting liners and hoping they actually seal this time. Such a waste of time and money. I was ready to buy invitations but I would never ever work with these people again. I am part of a very large wedding buy/sell/advice group in my city and this experience will be shared. Bad business Shutterfly! No way to handle an already stressful situation for brides to be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

For a long time I’ve been asking my wife to make some photo books of our vacations. Got my first one for Christmas and it was awesome. Great memories. Really nice quality. Wife said the interface to get layouts was really easy. Now I’m hoping for more!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Shutterfly’s 30 minute cutoff for changing or canceling an order is customer service at its worse. Daughter ordered a canvas picture that we discovered was too large after the thirty minute time period, wanted to change the size not cancel the order. Nope, can’t change. Stuck with $150 bill. What an absolute ripoff of consumers.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I bought two small calendars and had them shipped to the UK. In addition to the cost of the calendars, shipping and handling was $30. When my brother received the calendars he was charged an additional $35 for customs import fees. This information is hidden on the Shutterfly website so the customer is not aware that customs fees have to be paid by the recipient of the gift. Why isn't this information stated as a warning before checkout? At least then the customer can make an informed decision whether to pay $90 for two paper calendars.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered an item on 12/3/18 which was promised to be delivered by Christmas and I paid $29.99 for shipping just to be sure! I contacted them a few days before Christmas to check on the order as it still said "in production" in my account. They said I would receive it by 12/26 and offered a $10 credit. I insisted they send it via FedEx overnight service and they said they would not do that. The item never arrived on 12/26 so I called again. This time they said it would arrive by 12/31 and offered me a full credit - not a refund, but a credit on my Shutterfly account. I received a small credit in my Shutterfly account and called them again to ask about the rest of the credit. They continue to tell me the 2 credits are in my account. I continue to tell them that only one credit is in my account. The credit is useless to me as I will never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I used them in 2017 so in 2018 they mailed me a Promo Code marketing piece. I built my new product using my previous account and at Check Out the Promo Code was Rejected. I wrote emails, left messages with Customer Service; completed the Auto Call Back and to date have never heard from them. That's been 21 Days ago. Will Never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was very excited to receive various, "free promo codes", from Shutterfly. I began loading promo codes in my account and verified that they were there. Then I uploaded my images and went to work creating my personalized gifts. I worked for 4 plus hours and crated 9 items. When I went to place the order on 3 items, there was a message out of stock. I tried for 7 days in a row, but could not place the order. I think it was deceiving to say you can get 50% off, and then not let you order. I wondered, why did they not let me know before I created project? Then I proceeded to create 7 more items and put them in my cart, they were all, "free".

However shipping on these small items came out to $ 65.00, as much as the items were priced. So, I had a code that said, free shipping if you order over $ 49.00, so I added $ 60.00 more in items, well code did not work and shipping went up to $ 95.00. So, I placed the original order and paid shipping and tax of $73.00, as I had worked on creating these projects. I called Shutterfly today, after a 26 minute wait, and talked to Customer Service. The lady was very nice, but could not answer any of my questions, as she said, "I am not empowered to change anything". I also told her about not being able to place order for out of stock, but she said, "Well, that is out of my control". And then said, that is a frequent complaint. So, as attractive as these free offers are, be aware that nothing is really free. It seems as if a lot of customers complain, but it does not seem as if things get corrected.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Ordered gifts from Shutterfly, only because it had on their website that if you order by 11:59 pm December 17, 2018 you would receive items by Christmas. I paid S&H of $57.94 for $205 worth of merchandise. I did not get the items by Christmas and still have only received 3 items. I contacted that I did not want or need items after December 25 because I would have to get gift replacements. Family is only in at Christmas and now they are telling me it could be up to the end of January before items are ready. They offered a gift certificate of $117, not sure where that amount came from as I should be refunded $187.99. I do not want a gift certificate so I can order more items that will not arrive. If I had known how poorly service was, I would have created myself at CVS, Walgreens or Walmart.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I will start by saying I have been pleased with actually products I have ordered and received from Shutterfly. I have used them for almost 10 years. I am totally frustrated with their shipping - particularly their use of Mail Innovations to ship items to Hawaii. Last year I made personalized calendars for people in my family and after waiting and calling, they said they were lost and replaced them after Christmas.

This year I purchased 2 photo books which were shipped on December 7 via Mail Innovations. The shipping information shows my orders traveled to multiple transit stations in AZ and CA for a week. Last note says it was in transit to another facility on December 15 and then no more updates. I first had a notice it would arrive on December 17 which changed to December 22. The packages did not arrive and after calling them this morning, they are saying that the packages are lost and they will resend them and they should arrive by January 2. As I stated, this was exactly what happened last year. They don't seem to understand the frustration and disappointment when you spend many hours designing a special gift for someone and you have nothing to give on Christmas morning. I am done using them and will be looking for another company to use from now on. Horrible customer service!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Absolutely appalling customer service! I placed an order Dec 7th. I have been calling for two days but don’t have 40 mins to sit on hold until today. I also sent an email two days ago and still haven’t received a response. I finally speak to someone today and I get, "Sorry the item is on back order and we’ll refund your expedited shipping charge that you paid to have it arrive by yesterday!" That’s very big of you considering my item never arrived and still hasn’t even been processed! SERIOUSLY. I now have no gift for someone on Christmas morning and I had to make the call myself and sit on hold for 40 mins because you can’t be bothered to reach out to me and tell me that my item won’t be here before Christmas like you guaranteed me it would!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I can't begin to explain the frustration I've experienced with receiving a poor quality product, then having to spend 5+ hours of my time on the phone trying to rectify it. With no one as having their first language as English, having to phonetically spell everything out, promising that my order will be delivered on a certain day, saying that they can change shipping address to then finding out the next day it can't. Being guaranteed that it would be here on the 19th but now its the 24th and all ordering this on the 8th which was plenty of time to have it by Christmas Day to propose to my girlfriend. Then only offering 50% off my order.

Sorry, I will not be recommending Shutterfly!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

“Customer Service is the worst. I realize that this is a very busy time of year however if you try to call for assistance, you are put on hold for a ridiculous amount of time and if you send your question via email as they keep suggesting you do, they don’t even respond correctly to your question.”

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have been a customer for a few years and I have several family members that are customers. I will never order anything else from them again and I will my family and close friends stop ordering as well. I placed an order over 3 weeks ago and was guaranteed to have it by a certain date. I had to call customer service several times about this order. You always have to wait on hold forever just to keep getting transferred. I am completely over this company. I will take my money and my business elsewhere. Thank you for messing up my Christmas order.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I just finished designing 4 coffee mugs at 5:30 pm ET. The website said if my order was placed before 7:00 pm PT I would be able to get expedited shipping to receive the mugs before Christmas. At checkout I could not find any expedited shipping options to check or any promo codes to use to get expedited shipping. The checkout said I would receive the mugs Dec 31-Jan 2. I went to the "Chat" option and guess what...no one responded to my Chat request even after waiting 5 minutes. I called and ended up listening to Shutterfly ads forever and finally I gave up. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. The last time I used Shutterfly it took an incredibly long time to receive my order and I paid $21 for shipping. I said I would never use Shutterfly again but the delivery before Christmas was what enticed me order from them again. How deceptive to advertise expedited shipping and then have no way for the customer to get it.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered photo Christmas cards with a 4 photo design. I received a card with one photo and 3 blank area. The customer service phone number was useless since they don't answer it. I e-mailed the company and waited 3 days for a reply. They insisted on reshipping the cards when I asked for a refund. THEY SENT EXACTLY THE SAME DEFECTIVE CHRISTMAS CARD! This was after responding to my detailed email. They are now offering me a credit for their company instead of refunding my money.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered two bean bag chairs personalized with photos of my daughters and their names. They were intended to be Christmas gifts from Santa. I ordered on November 25, 2018 with an estimated delivery of 12/13-12/14. On 12/18, not only has the order not shipped, it hasn't even been completed. I attempted to call Shutterfly customer service about this issue and was told the wait would be 120 minutes! I agreed to allow them to call me back. When they did, two hours later, they kept me on hold for 30 minutes as they "look[ed] into" the issue. They explained that the manufacturer is very behind and they're sorry, but not only is there nothing they can do, they have no idea when the items will ship.

I demanded a full refund because I'll now have to scramble, less than a week before Christmas to find replacement gifts. They did give me the full refund, but it won't reach my account for 7-10 days. So not only do I not have the presents from Santa for my girls, I'm also missing all of the money allocated toward those gifts. Nothing can make this right. I am beyond disappointed with Shutterfly and their complete lack of remorse for what this has done to my family.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a picture blanket in November. Have email guaranteeing its delivery by Dec 18th. It's the 19th and no blanket. Hours on hold on the phone, to hear, "Sorry there was a storm in October and we can't keep up" - the storm was in Florida. The item ships from Arizona. Poor poor customer service. Never again. Now I'm stuck for a gift for a boss by the 20th and no refund.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

First and foremost I usually do not write bad reviews but I only thought it was appropriate for this situation. Ordered a custom photo fleece blanket for my mother on 12/8 after calling to verify I would have it by Christmas. I was told if I ordered by the end of day I would receive it the week of the 17th so I placed the order right away. I called on the 14th after being on hold for almost an hour I requested more details on my order as in my account it still showed being created. It was now showing delivery of 1/4-1/9 and I wanted to confirm this was hopefully an error. I was told no it’s an issue with the website and my blanket will be to my doorstep by 12/24 absolute latest.

I called again today 12/18 due to once again no updates and still showing it had not been created. Customer service told me that this was expected to arrive at my house by 1/19 that they had a backup due to weather and heavy orders being placed. Needless to say I’ve canceled my order and I will never do business with Shutterfly again. I’ve been using them for years and could not imagine the money they have made from my wife and I but I couldn’t be more pissed at this time and don’t plan to ever do business again. If you want something and you don’t have 2-3 months to wait make sure you get it elsewhere because the runaround they give you is all just what you want to hear and they can’t follow through on anything they commit to.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Ordered Christmas cards and throughout the order check out and my initial confirmation email it guaranteed delivery by Dec. 14th. However when they finally “shipped” on Dec. 11th the guaranteed date become a 3-day window up until Dec. 17th. On Dec. 13th I emailed because I was concerned my shipment that was guaranteed by Dec. was showing movement on the tracking history. I was assured everything is fine and just wait till Dec. 17th. Well that date came and went and now they are saying it was lost. Shutterfly is unreliable to say the least and deceitful with the bait and switch “guaranteed” delivery date. I’ve learned my lesson and will no longer use this company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I placed an order on December 11th. In order to receive it before I leave town for Christmas I had to pay $45 for expedited shipping. Delivery was guaranteed by 12/19. I received an email on 12/16 letting me know that my order had shipped and the "estimated" delivery date was 12/19. Upon tracking my package I find that it will not be delivered until 12/20. There is an email address provided for questions about your order. I sent a very detailed email about the issue and that I was very unhappy.

When you call you find out that the wait time is 52 minutes, or 44 minutes (depending on how many different times you try to call). Their automated message while you are holding is that they will upgrade your shipping for free to meet the guaranteed delivery date. UHHH NOPE! So they don't honor their promises and they don't have the time to address your concerns via email, so you are left to hold for eternity in the hopes that someone will answer the phone. I will never buy from them again. What a waste and now I have no gift for Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered a deck of playing cards which were suppose to be personalized with a photo. I received blanks instead. When I tried to contact them to fix the problem, I gave up because trying to contact customer service was too difficult and frustrating. I would not recommend Shutterfly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered holiday cards with printed envelopes and matching liners. First of all, the cards and envelopes came but I had to wait extra time for the liners. Finally, the liners arrive and they are completely defective. Each liner has a sticky strip covered with a plastic tape to be removed so that you can adhere it to the inside of the envelope. Well, every time I tried to remove the tape, the whole liner tore off with it. VERY POOR QUALITY! After getting in touch with Shutterfly they will give a refund BUT guess what?!? I have to pay to send them back. REALLY? I will never order anything from this company again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I normally use Mixbook for all of my photo books but decided to use Shutterfly this time. I went in and created a book for my husbands family for Christmas and finished it on December 5 and they sent me a message saying it they were going to send 3 and then 1 later. That makes no sense, if you printed and shipped 3 why would you not do the 4th one, with the 3 to be received by the 15 and the 4th sometime between the 15th and the 17th. For kickers I called them and I was told my wait time would be 186 minutes. You don't wait that long to talk to the IRS.

So I needed to do another book for my daughter and went to Mixbook to complete it. I put that order in on 12/10 and it's already shipped and will likely arrive before the Shutterfly ones do. When I contacted Shutterfly and expressed my dissatisfaction all I got was an email saying, "We apologize for any inconvenience. Your order has now been shipped." The 3 books I am waiting for are for family in California and I will now have to pay extra shipping in order to get them there by Christmas. My recommendation, go with Mixbook and stay away from Shutterfly. I know I will.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Ordered cards via app. Received glossy picture and not card stock paper. Spent the same amount of money in past for card stock. Waited 28 min on hold only to be told that’s what I ordered. $55.00 for 75 glossy cheap paper cards and that’s with 50% off. So you’re telling me $110.00 for cards that is the same paper you use to give away free pictures every day. I have been using Shutterfly for years, not anymore!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware of Shutterfly trying to sneak higher charges in! I spent Hours yesterday putting together photo books and greeting cards before the 50% off everything sale ended. I was still hours away from the end of the sale day but once things were in my cart I noticed the prices on some items doubled once I went to check out. If I removed them from my cart and put them back in the price corrected itself, but when I went to do this on a second item the first jumped back up in price! It was infuriating and took forever. I finally gave up and tried to just order two things (accepting I would pay double for one) and then it said the shipping was no longer available. It said that no matter what shipping option I selected. So after hours of frustration and time wasted I have Zero Christmas presents and will be starting over with a different company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've order coffee mugs as gifts from Shutterfly at least three times now and put pictures of our kids on them for my parents. This time the image quality was significantly worse than in the past - noticeable pixelation/granularity in the white range that was not due to the quality of the original images - some of my uploaded images were better than those for my past projects. I'm looking at two of these mugs side by side as I write this. Other than the image transfer to the mug, which is still acceptable, just not as good as in the past, the mugs appear fine.

Shutterfly expert review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

• Best for: consumers who want creative ways to print and share their photographs.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout