1.34/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

105 Shutterfly Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered a deck of playing cards which were suppose to be personalized with a photo. I received blanks instead. When I tried to contact them to fix the problem, I gave up because trying to contact customer service was too difficult and frustrating. I would not recommend Shutterfly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered holiday cards with printed envelopes and matching liners. First of all, the cards and envelopes came but I had to wait extra time for the liners. Finally, the liners arrive and they are completely defective. Each liner has a sticky strip covered with a plastic tape to be removed so that you can adhere it to the inside of the envelope. Well, every time I tried to remove the tape, the whole liner tore off with it. VERY POOR QUALITY! After getting in touch with Shutterfly they will give a refund BUT guess what?!? I have to pay to send them back. REALLY? I will never order anything from this company again.

Get expert buying tips about Online Photo Printing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I normally use Mixbook for all of my photo books but decided to use Shutterfly this time. I went in and created a book for my husbands family for Christmas and finished it on December 5 and they sent me a message saying it they were going to send 3 and then 1 later. That makes no sense, if you printed and shipped 3 why would you not do the 4th one, with the 3 to be received by the 15 and the 4th sometime between the 15th and the 17th. For kickers I called them and I was told my wait time would be 186 minutes. You don't wait that long to talk to the IRS.

So I needed to do another book for my daughter and went to Mixbook to complete it. I put that order in on 12/10 and it's already shipped and will likely arrive before the Shutterfly ones do. When I contacted Shutterfly and expressed my dissatisfaction all I got was an email saying, "We apologize for any inconvenience. Your order has now been shipped." The 3 books I am waiting for are for family in California and I will now have to pay extra shipping in order to get them there by Christmas. My recommendation, go with Mixbook and stay away from Shutterfly. I know I will.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Ordered cards via app. Received glossy picture and not card stock paper. Spent the same amount of money in past for card stock. Waited 28 min on hold only to be told that’s what I ordered. $55.00 for 75 glossy cheap paper cards and that’s with 50% off. So you’re telling me $110.00 for cards that is the same paper you use to give away free pictures every day. I have been using Shutterfly for years, not anymore!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware of Shutterfly trying to sneak higher charges in! I spent Hours yesterday putting together photo books and greeting cards before the 50% off everything sale ended. I was still hours away from the end of the sale day but once things were in my cart I noticed the prices on some items doubled once I went to check out. If I removed them from my cart and put them back in the price corrected itself, but when I went to do this on a second item the first jumped back up in price! It was infuriating and took forever. I finally gave up and tried to just order two things (accepting I would pay double for one) and then it said the shipping was no longer available. It said that no matter what shipping option I selected. So after hours of frustration and time wasted I have Zero Christmas presents and will be starting over with a different company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've order coffee mugs as gifts from Shutterfly at least three times now and put pictures of our kids on them for my parents. This time the image quality was significantly worse than in the past - noticeable pixelation/granularity in the white range that was not due to the quality of the original images - some of my uploaded images were better than those for my past projects. I'm looking at two of these mugs side by side as I write this. Other than the image transfer to the mug, which is still acceptable, just not as good as in the past, the mugs appear fine.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Great in the past, but terrible this year!!! Attempting to put together our annual family calendar. This has always been a fun experience, but not this year. Photo download is a nightmare. Selected 150 pics from our computer to upload. Only about 90 uploaded. The others that would not load are from the same camera and in some cases in sequence. I even tried to upload individually without any success. Customer service responded with a lot of double-talk. One of which was that I need to check "color space" on the photos. Very dissatisfied and will probably not return to Shutterfly in the future! Does anyone have another site that can be recommended?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I found my dream wedding invites on Shutterfly through the wedding shop and picked the popular gold foil themed cards. I ordered an entire set of invites, RSVP cards, and enclosure cards that normally cost over 600 dollars without any promotions. Everything seemed to be going smoothly after I designed and placed my order until a stranger found my email and messaged me about how they received my WEDDING ENCLOSURE cards. I didn't think much of it until I realized that all my personal information was on that card. At least this person was kind enough to notify me what happened. A few days later, my order was delivered and as expected, my wedding enclosure cards were missing. They only packaged 19 out of the 70 cards that I ordered. Things seemed even more strange when the 19th card I found in my pile actually belonged to the girl who emailed me saying she received mine in addition to hers!

Sorry Shutterfly, but this is completely unacceptable and a huge privacy concern for both parties involved! I wish my complaints stopped there. I realized that some of the wedding cards with the gold foil details were poorly done. Some cards were perfect, but there was a handful where the last letter of gold foil was not completely filled in. Again, I paid way too much money for this to be happening. Not only did the gold foil turn out poor on many cards, but they printed my envelopes with the addressing (WHICH I PAID EXTRA FOR!!!) all CROOKED! Unbelievable... I was expecting top notch quality and error-free cards for the price I paid. I'm extremely disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had a HORRIBLE customer service experience with Shutterfly today. They’re money hungry, and I think they’re in over their heads with the Christmas rush. The company allowed me to use a PO Box as my shipping address and then tried to charge me $20-something dollars to change the address when my Christmas cards could not be sent. Now I have to drive AN HOUR EACH WAY to the UPS center my cards are at to pick up my order because I refused to pay extra money to fix THEIR mistake. The rep I spoke with backed me into a corner and told me if I didn’t want to pay the money or pick them up, she would cancel and reorder for me and that they would not come in time to mail them for Christmas.

She literally blackmailed me with my own order instead of comping the address change. I told her it was unacceptable and I would like the address changed and she told me that if I wouldn’t choose one of the two cost free options - she would choose for me, and she would be canceling my order so I’d have to wait. So now I drive two hours out of my way tomorrow, on my day off, when I work a 50 hour week to fix a mistake that is not mine to fix. If you can’t deliver to a P.O. Box, don’t allow me to use it as my shipping address. I work in customer service and I would absolutely NEVER leave one of my customers cleaning up my mess.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I ordered a personalized blanket 2 weeks ago. Was a gift for family we are visiting across the country next week. Was suppose to be delivered Dec 3rd. On Dec 6th get email it is on back order. Now I have no gift and no time to have the blanket made by another company. Do not understand why they waited 2 weeks to email me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Shutterfly did not deliver the products I ordered, and when I contacted them they did not resolve the problem. I ordered 100 Christmas Cards and 100 envelopes. Received 100 cards but only 48 envelopes. Immediately contacted them and they said they would send the missing envelopes. The envelopes were not sent. Contacted them again and again. Got assurance they would send the missing envelopes. 10 days later still no envelopes. I will never use their services again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

There was a promotion for 10 free cards if you got that into your order in time. I did type it in before the deadline but did not get the free cards. Could not understand the customer service rep and could not get chat. My email messages have not gone through. Very frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I ordered three photobooks. Was charged $256. The pictures I uploaded are on the website -- I spent 2+ hours designing the book. When the books arrived they were blank. Not one picture was in the 111 page book. I tried calling twice each time with a wait time over 30 minutes on the phone. When I emailed customer service they responded with, "We'll give you a coupon for 3 free books". I tried using the "free book" coupon and it doesn't cover all the extra pages. Their free coupon would have still cost me $80 per books AND they have not refunded the original purchase cost of the books. Currently still fighting to get my money back. COMPLETELY DISGUSTED by their product and customer service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I ordered ornaments and received them...they were perfect and arrived in good order. When I ordered, I entered a discount code for Tiny prints at 40% off as I thought that they were Tiny Prints goods; the catalogue shows both. I had difficulty entering the code (19 digits). I tried the other discount shown on the catalogue for Shutterfly (50% for cards etc., 40% off everything else. I sent an email asking how to get the 40%. No response sent a follow up email asking about the discount, again no response. I phoned customer service and was told that I was due no discount as the items were not Tiny prints and had shipped. The items are shown on Shutterfly's site online today at half the price I paid in mid November. The coupons on the catalogue say they are valid thru December 16.

Today's date is December 2. I asked after a 20 minute hold for a regular rep to speak with a resolution specialist. After another 5 mins or so I explained again and the specialist said that Shutterfly had responded. I had no record of such in my email account, asked if I checked spam, (I had not at the time) but I did while we were online together and found nothing. I was receiving Shutterfly email as I was notified that shipping had occurred and my second request for help was a response to that shipping notice. When I asked if my only recourse was to get my CC company to pay 60% I was told that was illegal, that I was on a recorded line and the call quickly ended.

As in most things in life, it's not the $20 but the principle and then being treated poorly. Is Shutterfly not concerned about retaining its customers? Is Shutterfly advertising discounts they do not honor? Frankly the discount was not the driving factor when I ordered. It was there and I said great! I am only asking for what was offered and got the run around from email and both the reps I spoke with... really bad. I am sorely disappointed with a company that I have used over the in the past that has great products yet poor customer service. Is this the way to lose a customer and have that bad word of mouth? I guess it is from the treatment given me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have ordered several things from them and was generally impressed with the quality. Then I ordered some photo books for a class final project. I paid an extra $25 for shipping to ensure they would be here in time for me to turn them in. It had a guaranteed delivery date. I kept checking the order status and it said it hadn't shipped yet. The day before my "guaranteed" delivery date, I called to see what was going on. The representative I got had a rudimentary understanding of English and was clearly reading off a script and didn't actually try to understand my problem. He provided me with a tracking number which was obviously useless if it hadn't shipped yet. I called back and thankfully got a representative who was able to understand me. She assured me they would arrive in time.

They finally shipped out that night, however they hadn't checked in to a UPS store by 7:00 pm the day they were supposed to arrive. I called again. And told them I expected them to refund the shipping. She gave me some spiel about how they would be in that day. I told her they wouldn't because of course it was after business hours (on a Friday no less). After some arguing, to their credit they did refund me shipping. However, she was not even able to tell me what state they were in. I still don't have them. Don't know where they are and now. I'm in a bind because this is a final project. Won't be ordering from them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I, ordered very simple presentation/business cards. Only name, email and phone #. Huge disappointment when received, e-mail letters and phone numbers so tiny that only can read with a magnifier glass. In other words, NO proportion in the layout. Tried to reach customer service on 11/27/2018. Impossible even by phone or chat. Twice after waiting 40 to 45 minutes call was disconnected and was no chat available. After 3 days and 3 attempts the same day (2 of them automatic disconnected) was able to chat. After a detail explanation and picture of the card a representative named Octavia, argue that was my fault and add as a courtesy they will get the cards free, said that are useless and will be shredded.

For my surprise she change the story and email link to return cards in order to get the refund, but that I will need to pay for the return shipping. Decided to stop losing value time with her and complaint to the credit card. Shutterfly claimed that customer satisfaction is a top priority for them. Unbelievable... Are many others companies who do not have an expensive website or advertising but that are more pro customers. WHOEVER WANT TO LOSE MONEY, TIME AND PATIENCE order from SHUTTERFLY.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The company spelled my name wrong on a Xmas card order. I waited too long to speak to someone who I could barely understand. She could not find my order by phone number, email address or street address. Once that was finally taken care of she wanted me to go online and start the order process over. I asked to speak to her supervisor and waited 10 minutes (no exaggeration) and was told the same thing – go online and reorder. When I refused he said that although it’s not “typical” he could do the reorder for me. Shutterfly screws up my order and he’s doing me a favor by taking care of the problem. Terrible service, never again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Every year I order photo books for my 3 grandkids as a gift for Christmas... a year of memories. Three years ago, I received the books with all the pages loose... floating around the Christmas tree. They resent books... same thing. They didn't believe me, so I sent the books to them. 3rd time was a charm... all the pages stayed in the book. As I worked on the year-long phone book project this year, I was almost finished. Yesterday, went into my projects and found the photo book projects gone.

Called customer service. They couldn't find them. Ugh! So, all night last night I went through a year of photos and recreated the books. As I continued to work, I put them in an order cart. 30 minutes ago, I went into my projects and couldn't find the books again. Luckily I had put them in the order cart, edited them and did a rush order. I will hopefully get a good project next week. I love the creative options for the Shutterfly books. But, I am thinking they are failing to upgrade their system to handle the holiday traffic. I do like their product, but I think it's time to find a new service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I verified my Christmas cards before placing my order and all the pictures slots (a total of six picture slots) were filled because it would obviously be nonsense to order a card with no pictures in it. However, when I received my product there were four open slots on the front of the card with no pictures. Basically, just white squares. I'm not sure what exactly happened because I am confident when I reviewed my final product they were all there because I have human eyeballs and wouldn't order an incomplete card to send to my family.

I requested a free reprint because this seems like an issue where the product didn't save or upload correctly. Their customer service rep didn't even read the email I sent because the response basically said Shutterfly was unable to edit projects after they were sent to printing but that is NOT what I requested. I requested a reprint of a completely useless product that I spent over $100 on. They offered me a 50% off a new project and I took it but honestly I'll just never use Shutterfly again. I don't appreciate a completely canned response that displays a total lack of reading my problem/complaint.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Ordered 2 photo calendars in November. When I received them they had year 2018. I called and asked why they weren't 2019. Told there is a box at top to put in yard. Said they would credit me 2 calendars but I had to pay shipping. Went to reorder had a hard time finding this box. When I finally did put 2019. Order kept showing 2018. Called customer service they said if I hung on they would change year. 30 mins later told it's done. Go ahead and order. Needless to say still says 2018.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I uploaded two photos of owls for my card. Have used them the last five years. The cards arrived without one of the photos, the one in front of the card? Where is quality control? They said I could re-order for half off instead of redoing my card and not charging me. NEVER WILL USE THEM AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I ordered 18 calendars as Holiday Gifts. The calendars arrived quickly, but two pages were cut wrong. The photo was not centered on the page - but shifted to the right, cutting off the edge of the photo, and excess space on the left side. Satisfaction is guaranteed on their website, but all I was offered was 50% my next order. I just spent over $200 with you, and you couldn't get it right, what makes me think you'll get it right the next time? Do not waste your time on their website, or expect anything close to customer satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I spent hours designing a calendar for 2019. I wanted to put photos on birthdays and anniversaries on the bottom half of the calendar on the actual day. I ordered three times with a total of 5 hours on the phone with customer service to have this issue remain unresolved. In the end the printing manufacturer said it was the style of calendar I chose and there was a glitch in the system where the photos in the date boxes were light like a watermark. When I previewed my calendar the photos did not show up light. The representative told me to choose a different style, which meant start from scratch. She couldn't guarantee that a different style wouldn't do the same thing nor does it indicate where a style is unable to do this or there is glitch in the system.

When I designed and previewed my calendar this issue did not arise. So how am I to know if it won't happen again? While I was designing my calendar I got kicked out multiple times, I had photos that would not upload, and many times I had issues with the actual design area. Overall, I have shopped with Shutterfly for years and as the years have passed the quality of the website has greatly decreased. The quality of the products has decreased. The technical issues as greatly increased. The customer service representatives were all very kind and helpful and did refund me, but the overall site has become a disgrace and more difficult to design items.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I just received 80 4x6 prints and one 10x16 print that were so awful I had to throw everything away. The 10x16 print of a ballerina had her feet cut off, which is not what I submitted. Everything was fuzzy, the quality was awful. The 4 x 6 prints were all blurry and people’s heads were cut off, or group shots had people cut in half... also, not what I submitted. I used to have a dozen calendars made every year for my family but I will look elsewhere for this large project as I don’t trust Shutterfly with my business anymore. That my order even was shipped is astonishing!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My daughter is graduating college in December and wanted to create announcements with Shutterfly. The minute I tried to design something using their templates and program I realized that I should have stopped there. Very few capabilities to edit or change images or move copy around. Frustrating! I use design software all the time and never have to recreate and save every edit I make to a new named file. When designing it's important to be able to edit and save on the same file. If I changed something on the card I had to save a new version every time with a new name to keep all the files straight. This may work for some but not for me. I want to be able to open and save edits on the same file and create a new file only if I choose. (I really wanted to get them right and not have any issues.)

Immediately after hitting order for the first set of cards my daughter realized we picked the wrong file and needed to stop the order. I couldn't find a number to call them but did find a contact us button. I sent a note stating we had just placed an order and wanted to stop the order asap. Did not hear back until next day on which they said the order had already been done and was getting ready to ship. They told me to send them back and go ahead and order the ones I wanted. Ordered the correct ones and both boxes showed up 5 days later same day.

With that being said both orders arrived and neither of them was correct. The second ones we ordered were not glossy as represented on the website. Turns out that very few of their cards are glossy. So when they arrived the ones we wanted were matte and the pictures did not stand out the way we had hoped. To top it off the card template wording "2018" across the bottom in Gold Foil design was cut off on both ends across the bottom... A design flaw on their part and apparently is how the design is created and can not be changed. Disappointing and not professional~ These guys need to get it together. The customer service is overseas. No one really know what's going on. I called and asked. Spoke with a woman about how to return the cards which we were dissatisfied with. I was told "you get what you get". "Reorder a different design if you like and they are not available in glossy."

Ok... so can I get a refund for the ones I am to return since they are not up to par? Can I get a RMA number? How do you want me to ship back? My answer: "we will give you 50% refund and you can ship back any way you want and call us back after you send them and give us a number off your receipt so we can track". Really what number?... "Oh, find a tracking number depending on how you want to ship and after you have shipped contact us again with a tracking number we will keep an eye out." You would think they could work out a better return policy. I have yet to work with such a non user friendly program and unsatisfactory customer service plan. Will not use them again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I am using Shutterfly mobile app for almost 2 years now. First I was very happy. Product I created arrived printed good, mobile app was working good, but since May 2018 it’s just started became worse and worse every month! I had to contact customer support for every photo book I created, because they arrived with print errors! Not just photo books, iPhone case also arrived not as I expected. More, they have problems with coupons. You think you will have free shipping, but it just reduce the price for your shipping and doesn’t give you free. The cart money count for your purchase is also wrong. So, be careful using this app, most likely you will be disappointed after checkout.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I consider myself a fairly tech-savvy person. I've worked professionally with photo editing for over 5 years now. When I recently got married and made an album for myself using another website, I had no problems...love the book. So, when I received a Shutterfly coupon with a recent purchase, I figured all the sites were probably the same for the most part and I'd go ahead and make one for my mother-in-law. I have been trying to get the cover photo of my Shutterfly book to work for the past 20 minutes and I still can't figure it out. I am beyond frustrated. It should NOT be this challenging! I expected SO much more from a company that has been around for as long as it has. I'm SO unhappy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My how I wish I would have checked the reviews for Shutterfly before I spent a tremendous amount of time on their website building a photo book for my granddaughter's 10th birthday. I placed my order and paid for "Express Delivery" (what a joke!). It was noted that "Express Delivery" was "guaranteed" for the a specific date. I felt comfortable with this, thinking if they are "guaranteeing" the delivery date, they must mean it. After 4 days of no notice of shipping, I called CS and was told my project would be completed that day and shipped overnight. Still no notification this morning (day of "guaranteed" delivery).

The status on the website still shows "in production" and my "guaranteed" delivery date has disappeared. There is now no delivery date shown. Called CS again this morning and all they can say is it MIGHT be here Monday, two days after my granddaughter's birthday. I will NEVER use Shutterfly again. Don't advertise "guaranteed" delivery if you can't back it up. After reading other reviews, I'm now also concerned about the product quality.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have used Shutterfly for personal items and have had success. However, I was running the yearbook for our school this year. The yearbooks came with every page having images cut off. When we previewed the yearbook through their program, everything looked fine. Also, when a picture was too close to the edge while we were creating the yearbook, the online system told us so we changed it. According to their system, none of our pictures were too close to the edge. I have not included the defective yearbook pages with pictures for the privacy of the students but words were cut off in every yearbook (see picture).

When I contacted Shutterfly, they initially said that they would refund the first batch of 8 but refused to refund the rest. They then told me to reorder the other 8 but to change all the pictures so they were further from the edge. I spent 4 hours redoing the yearbook, However, distribution of the yearbook is going to be delayed by 2 weeks AND only 10 people will get an acceptable yearbook. Do NOT use Shutterfly, consider using Presto or other online yearbook companies. I wish we had!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Over and over again products are received late or the order is wrong. Then they refuse to correct their mistake. Orders are NEVER on time. I just paid extra for expedited shipping. My order is now TWO DAYS late and I won’t have the product in time for my special event. Avoid them if you want your pictures or special gift to arrive on time

Shutterfly expert review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

• Best for: consumers who want creative ways to print and share their photographs.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout