3.8/5 (677 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: May 16, 2022

I had used Shutterfly several times with no problems, but I recently went back to them for prints and got a blurry, unusable mess. The photos were taken with the same camera I had used before and in roughly the same lighting. It’s almost like they used a cheaper printer this time around. Whatever their problem is, all I know is, I’m switching to a different company for future pictures.

Original review: April 5, 2022

First off, I cannot use Chrome to view their websites. Shutterfly and Lifetouch both break when using incognito and normal modes. I had to download and install Brave to get it to work, and at that the website barely functions for Brave. This is the 3rd year in a row that the website has been a super hassle to use. Not recognizing Portrait ID's, Access Codes or School ID's. Secondly, after just purchasing digital images you do not receive your images with any promptness. I did not select any edits or touchups, just the digital images. And I have not received the images yet (as of several days of this writing). They need to look into hiring some better website designers.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I ordered photos and magnets of a professional photoshoot. They arrived too dark. After an excessive chat session, I finally got credit to my account to place a reorder. BUT they REFUSED to pay shipping, so it would basically cost be the same amount that I originally paid when I received free shipping! What a scam! I will never use Shutterfly again. Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is worthless and misleading.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I purchased photos from Preschool Smiles under the advertisement that Preschool Smiles, Lifetouch and Shutterfly accounts are all linked and all albums are uploaded. Wrong! When I ordered from preschool smiles, I paid 85.00 for 10 5x7 photos, that were of poor quality. I tried to reorder at a cheaper price through shutterfly but only album uploaded and no one could help. The preschool smiles and lifetouch accounts are not linked which forces your order at a higher price... Almost triple the cost!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

This is the second experience we’ve had with them regarding holiday mishaps. The latest…we received our New Year's cards extremely late. When we opened the packages, it was missing 6 of the 30 5x7 envelopes to send out. Plus, inside packages were ripped open. When contacting customer service, they stated they would ship the 6 missing, but it would take 5 days to get here. Prior to this order, they messed up 4 photo books as well. Thought we’d give them a second chance and same result. Steer clear of them. They have a low rating for a reason. No refund of any kind given.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Shutterfly is very hard to create a canvas and then 2 came back with half my family cut off. Will never order from this company again and I have emailed snd contacted customer service to no avail. Awful awful experience!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

If there is an issue, no rep will be able to help or answer even basic questions. I needed to order holiday cards that were to be inserted by Shutterfly into pre-addressed envelopes and mailed out to recipients. I paid over $800 for this service to 200 recipients and went through the process of preparing and sending Shutterfly a CSV file on their template.

I spoke to two reps on two different occasions for over two hours to make sure they understood what I needed and get proper instructions. They MESSED it up totally. Instead, each recipient got an orange Shutterfly envelope with an addressed stamp and card inside (so they can stuff the envelope themselves). Don’t rely on Shutterfly customer reps to know their services and products and definitely don’t rely on them to provide white glove services like handling all the mailings. Very embarrassing. If we use them again, we’ll make sure to stuff and mail our own envelopes. Incompetent customer service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

If there is an issue, no rep will be able to help or answer even basic questions. I swear the customer support people don’t even seem to work for Shutterfly. I needed to order additional Christmas cards, so I placed the order Dec 16. They would arrive before Dec 21st. Perfect to give out to neighbors and family. They NEVER arrived. I spoke to two reps on two different occasions for over two hours. They promised they would arrive Dec 30th now. I asked, "Can you guarantee this is even being created? Can you rush shipping? Can you transfer me to the company that actually prints the cards?" Nope. I had no choice but to trust these employees. They will not arrive until well into January. What good are Christmas cards in January?! I could have printed them elsewhere if I didn’t get the runaround.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I am very unhappy with Shutterfly, I ordered Christmas cards and a month later on Christmas Eve they were delivered. I had updates that stated the day they would be delivered and everyday it changed to the next day. I called my local post office and was told this is how Shutterfly operates. This is the 2nd year this has happened per post office. I will not use Shutterfly again. There are a lot of other options!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

What a horrible horrible company,, Had 2 orders going to two different places and both items were never shipped, I paid $37.00 for expedited shipping and still nothing. They single handedly ruined 2 people's Christmas. All they want to do is offer a gift certificate and not refund,, had to demand refund. Why offer your product if you can't deliver? 2 separate orders so don't give me this ** about isolated issue. You took my money no problem! Never ever will I going forward.

Shutterfly author review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team