2.54/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

72 Shutterfly Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I spent days and many hours constructing a photo book on Shutterfly for Father's Day. MANY hours. I used their Father's Day promotion and made sure that the book was going to be delivered by Father's Day when I placed my order. I checked on my order throughout the process and - sure enough - the day before Father's Day, my order will NOT be delivered on time. Considering their products are for special occasions and marketed as such, it seems pretty obvious that an on time delivery is a huge part of their responsibility. This item was to be a focal point of an extended family celebration that will now not happen. If the item was not promised to be delivered on time, I would have spent the ridiculous price of expedited shipping. Very disappointed here after a lot of hard work and great financial expense. Do NOT trust this company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am trying to spread the warning of a problem I encountered that could affect everyone using this service. My images were ported over from another service I used for years that sold out to Shutterfly. Once they got my images, I can no longer download all of them. You can download one at a time, or you can struggle through a email bulk of 500 at a time. That sounds ok, but it doesn't track which and is complicated and slow to use. I have over 5000 images there and after talking to customer support - I am just out of luck with no way to download my images easily. I am very upset and hope that everyone reads this warning and chooses other options for their image products and management.

Get expert buying tips about Online Photo Printing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Beware of the discount carrot. - Sounded great. Three free items! So you spend the next hour building designs and go to checkout, enter the code and the items are free, but the shipping cost is about what you would have normally paid with free shipping. What a lousy rip!

Original review: May 21, 2018

My 15 year old daughter place an order for Mother's Day. Her book was shipped on the 8th of the month. It said we would receive it by the 15th. It is now the 21st. I call to get an update and they will give me the information. I am her father and all the person who paid for the book. I get privacy but she is a minor and I will never use them again and still cannot find the book. The tracking has it at the local Post Office but still does not have it as shipped.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I just was informed that a gift card can't be used if there is a discount or a "promotion" on the item. That is so wrong! People pay cash for the gift cards so really it's already paid for but can only be used on full prices! This is ridiculous and I won't ever purchase off Shutterfly again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: April 24, 2018

I just spent over $70 for prints and having them delivered to my house, they all look horrible. I can’t use any of them. They’re fuzzy and bit-mat which is extremely upsetting considering I got them from the devices that actually took the photos. There’s absolutely no reason for the extremely low quality photos I revived. I am very upset. Will never use this company again. I am out $70 and I’m going to have to reprint all these photos from a different company. Do not waste your time and money.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had horrible experience with them. Ordered prints to get promotional luggage tag. Terrible pictures came without tag. When contacted, was told that tag can be shipped separately only with another crazy shipping fee.

Original review: April 5, 2018

BEWARE! I used Shutterfly to create a photo book of my recent trip. I was supposed to receive the book yesterday. I paid the cost of the book and the price for express shipping. The photobook didn't come plus I didn't get notified of any delays in production etc. beforehand. I emailed Shutterfly and got an email back saying not only did the book not ship out on time, the company didn't even make it yet. The only reason I was able to find out about my order was because I reached out to Shutterfly since they didn't tell me until after the fact. And now they are claiming I canceled the order which I did not do. DO NOT USE SHUTTERFLY. The company does nothing to make a wrong on their part a right.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Very serious complaint against Shutterfly, Inc.! I have not had such a good experience playing the "Monopoly" game that is being promoted by Pavilions, Vons and their other involved grocery stores due to several reasons. On one of my tickets it says that I won a free Shutterfly reusable shopping bag with the code of: ** on it and then Shutterfly, Inc. has made my life more difficult and time consuming by asking me to go online through their shutterfly.com/monopoly URL link in order to supposedly claim this bogus B.S. not so free prize which is definitely not even free even though they falsely claim that it is!

Please note: Back on Wednesday, March 14, 2018, I did send this disgusting company a letter of very serious complaint regarding these issues and unfortunately, this rich, wealthy, cheap, nasty and selfish company named "Shutterfly, Inc. expects me to pay for their taxes, shipping and handling just to claim a cheap reusable shopping bag that is only worth $1.00 which is absolutely disgusting and ridiculous to say the very least! If Shutterfly, Inc. is really giving away a prize then they should be taking care of all these bogus expenses, not the customer! Obviously! In addition: I do not understand why they cannot just have the winning customer claim the prize at a Vons, Pavilions and/or other related store rather than spending and wasting (15) to (30) minutes or longer by going on to Shutterfly, Inc.’s website just to claim and pay for a cheap reusable bag is beyond me?

In addition: In one of their latest emails that they had sent out to me, they were even offering me a free magnet and other items to go with it, but then again, nothing is free through this stupid and dumb, cheap Shutterfly, Inc. company! They want me to pay for the same, exact shipping, handling and tax expenses for those other items as well in which I had just mentioned above which to me is nothing, but a scam! Shutterfly, Inc. should be sending me out way better items for free at their own expense rather than just a cheap magnet and/or $1.00 reusable shopping bag to be quite honest with you! Shutterfly, Inc. is a billion dollar company and can afford to do much better than that! Obviously! I have already sent out my letters of extreme complaint and/or disgust to all of their corporate executives, however, they are unwilling to send me out even the cheap reusable bag at their own expense! LOL. What a joke!

Please note: It would cost me more to receive this reusable bag through Shutterfly, Inc. than to just go ahead and buy one at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Ralph's, etc. Get real? Please note: I have a very low tolerance for abusive corporatists and/or cheap, nor selfish people, period! No exceptions! I am definitely not recommending Shutterfly, Inc. to anybody for any reason and Safeway who owns Vons, Pavilions and other related stores should drop Shutterfly, Inc. from their Monopoly game immediately based on my legitimate reasons mentioned. I am now publishing negative reviews about this disgusting and horrific experience on to major social media websites! Thank you.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I believe in second chances so I have placed 2 separate orders with Shutterfly. Both experiences were bad. The first time took 3 months to get my order. The second time I ordered 4 photo books and they messed up the pictures and refused to fix and would only refund if I pay shipping back. So their mistake is now costing me money. Never again. Not one apology, nothing. If I could give no star I would.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I ordered a customized case for my Galaxy Note phone. I carefully chose the one That matched my phone model but when it arrived, it was too small. I reviewed the return policy and it stated if the order was the company's error, full refund, customer error 50% fund. Sent an email to customer service, advised them of the problem with item received, referenced the return policy and I asked them to confirm if the choice I made for my Galaxy Note 4 was the correct choice. If so, they made an error as it is too small, if not it was my error and I am entitled to a refund of 50% of the cost. The rep answered that he cannot cancel an order in progress and gave me a 50% off my next order! What!?? I responded. Said he misunderstood and that is the last I heard from them and I am out 35 plus shipping.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Shutterfly's editing and pulling in photos is difficult to use. It is slow. It loses photos. Shutterfly offers a 50 percent off a certain product but then gives less than that, charging more than it should given the offer. The customer service is non existent and the ability to cancel an order, even if something was not really ordered is almost non existent. I had products started on Shutterfly and wanted to finish them rather than start all over, so I used this service again, after I had a bad experience with it. I would urge people to look elsewhere. COSTCO seems to offer something similar for a third of the price of the alleged discount if it is properly applied. However, since the discount isn't properly applied, COSTCO would be even cheaper to use. (I can't say how easy or difficult it is to use. I can say Shutterfly is very difficult to use and to edit photos and pictures on.)

I used it first in 2012 to do a project for my aunt and then a couple of other projects for me. Then, it was slow, but I could edit the photos and I eventually finished that project. However, the last few years, it has gotten even more difficult to use, and the product is overpriced for what you get. Then, there is the problem that photos and a project in process vanished. Find another way to put your photos into books or to get them framed.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Dull terrible prints. I was told the photos would be glossy but they aren't. And the color is horribly dull. Worst photos ever! And I got almost 200 developed. I'll never order from them again. I've ordered from Walmart and Walgreens and they are superior compared to Shutterfly. Don't waste your money. Even though they give you prints free they still charge shipping which makes the photos about 10 cents each. I'd rather pay 20 cents and not have to throw them out. Also several photos had the subject cut off.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Ordered a photo book as a special birthday gift. Paid express everything--production and shipping. On the day the book was due to arrive, I received an email that the book was not even made yet, but they would "upgrade shipping if possible." Express shipping was already paid for. When I called Shutterfly, they informed me I will still be fully charged, but a refund for shipping would be given 10 days later. Ten days.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I placed an order, I had Shutterfly address the envelopes and their system has a glitch and uses one of my guests addresses instead of mine, ships the entire order to them, uses their address as the return address and won't refund my money for 14 days IF it is returned to them. So now I am supposed to contact my guest, have them return it to Shutterfly so I can get my refund. DON'T USE THEM, they are ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I ordered a book for a zoo in Peru to use for recruiting purposes. The quality of the photos in the book were lousy. Many of them were out of focus. The pictures I sent them were all in focus. I have to present this book to the zoo and if there was anyway else, I would not. The quality of the pictures is a reflection of my skills. Shutterfly has offered to give me a 50% off discount on my next book. There will not be another book. I paid over $100 for this garbage. It seems that whoever was suppose to run quality control on the book was either blind or didn't care. As a photographer, a great publishing company is important to me. For the average person, this book might be okay. For a semi-professional, it is not.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I received a charge on my Chase credit card from Shutterfly for a purchase that I did not make. I phoned my credit card company to dispute the charge. Chase contacted Shutterfly to resolve the charge. Shutterfly will not remove the charge even though the purchase was made by someone with a different name living in a different city. Shutterfly cannot or will not provide a sales transaction for this purchase.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I love Shutterfly because they just are so easy to use. Often times I find or reserve reward codes so that I get many photos and gift items for free or fairly cheap which makes me love them all the more! I find that Shutterfly is very easy to access my photos and download them off different sites. Never have a problem with it taking too long and can always find the type of photo gifts I'm looking for and they always come out great! Shutterfly is a great company and there is not a thing that I would change or reason I wouldn't use them!

Original review: July 24, 2017

I find it is easy to use and they have lots of products that you can adapt pictures to, such as mugs, bags, mousepads and calendars or you can make Christmas and birthday cards personalized with your photos. It is also easy to create an account, upload photos and select options for printing but sometimes hard to get the pictures in the right place and have to do over. And then sometimes it is hard to figure out how to use the codes and it doesn't flow as well as it should but overall it works okay.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Creating an account is very basic and easy to do with the option to link your social media accounts. There are many options for print sizes and borders, frames or special effects. The web interface is easy to use and I can manipulate photos without going through too many paces. I don't like having to edit features too much because it takes long. Shutterfly is easy to use and it's easy to pay. Their prices are reasonable and I like how many options there are to change pictures if you want.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Shutterfly has a very easy setup that works. It has all the features that you need to fix any photos and to save, set up and send to whoever. I would recommend to all customers to use Shutterfly to print and fix your photos up. It's a company that puts a lot of effort to fix your nice pics. A company that you trust with private moments. It has all the crops and cuts you need.

Original review: July 20, 2017

It was extremely easy to set up an account. Uploading photos was easy as well. It was difficult to select options for printing photos as there are so many options to choose from, but I like the variety. I also like the price as they are reasonable. Their shipping was reasonable and the items shipped quickly. I enjoy all their features but I wish that shipping was free. But, the low prices compensate for the cost of shipping.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I like the easy way that is to use and the vibrant colors it provides when printing everything I order. The speed of the service is good too. It is super easy and convenient because you can do it at the comfort of your home. It is real good to have this experience. I really like Shutterfly.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Everyone should use Shutterfly. It's nice to be able to send cards for holidays and I was able to upload own photos and pick a design. It makes you feel like you're using your own company and it's personalized to your touch. But I don't the cost of shipping if couple not available but it's a great service to have and use.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Creating a Shutterfly account is super easy and they offer so many freebies and discounts. Uploading photos is easy, except that I can't upload my screenshots. After that, ordering and printing is easy and there is fast delivery. Their products are fun and affordable. It's also cool that they have so many different types of products rather than just your average printed photos. But, I have accidentally gotten charged on my credit card that is on file multiple occasions despite the fact that I only pay for Shutterfly using gift cards.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I love it because it is super easy & fast. Makes it a lot easier than having to go sit in the middle of a store & do it. You can do it in the privacy of your own home in your pajamas if you wish too. They offer many different products to choose from as well. I have recommended the services to people I know before and I would recommend to anyone who asks me about these services.

Original review: July 16, 2017

They are a photo printing company that prints your photos and ships them to you. You can get items with images on them like books, coffee mugs, canvases, and many more. You sign up for an account which is basically the same as any other website. Then you upload your photos from your phone or computer that you want to print. You click a few personalization buttons, and submit your order to be processed. They will send you your prints when finished. However, I dislike having to wait for them to ship your photos to you. I am a little impatient and if it wasn't cheap and convenient, I would rather go to a 1 hour photo place.

Original review: July 15, 2017

It was easy to create an account, uploading was seamless, there were many sizes/items to choose from. I liked the design of the site and how easy it was. I like the quality, past experience and integration with other devices. I like that Shutterfly give you a lot of option to utilize for your photos. They are a leader as well and the service was good.

Original review: July 15, 2017

They had this coupon promotional offers so I took a chance. It was printed quickly and the photos came out quite nice. I was able to give them to family members as gifts. I was not a big fan of the shipping costs. I think other sites are better with shipping and handling prices. I would also like better product selection on what I can put the baby’s photo on. It was kind of easy to use the coupon and was accepted without issue. I got some mugs and the photo image was nicely done with no smears or blurring.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Easy to create account. Chose which photos to upload and selected options for printing. Very easy to figure out how to work for a first timer. Many options for printing. They could possibly make the process faster if they got rid of some of the options. Otherwise this is the simplest online photo printing service I have ever used. However, the variety of options is also part of what makes the service so wonderful. Photos have always been good quality and I received my photos by mail fairly quickly. Always within the allotted time frame given to me by the website. These are all the qualities I could possibly ask for in a quality online photo printing service. I always recommend this service to my friends.

Shutterfly expert review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

• Best for: consumers who want creative ways to print and share their photographs.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout