3.8/5 (641 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I just received my photo album. The photos are cut off despite having plenty of space remaining on the page. The photos are not centered. The photos are flat and look extremely cheap. This truly looks like a homemade crafter's project as opposed to a company's product. I will tell everyone never to waste their time or money with Shutterfly.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I spent two hours looking for pictures for a special gift for our daughter and Fiance's engagement present (at the time it was 10 days away). When I supplied the pictures and paid, heads were cut off, etc. When addressing the issue it was "escalated" which to them means 5-6 more days to look at their mistake to fix a "technical" problem that Shutterfly had! Long story short not only will I not receive it in time but it was treated unprofessionally. No one has called me today. In fact I called them. Still no news. Never will I order from them again. This company use to be very good, guess it got too big to care?

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Before I dive into the review, I have to say that the customer service people I interacted with were nothing but pleasant. I placed an order for a photobook, a mousepad, a magnet, and a mug. These items were/are memorial pieces dedicated to Peaches. She was the best kitten in the world, and she was lost suddenly on August 2nd, 2021. I placed an order for the aforementioned items on the 4th of August. We waited patiently for them to come in, and waited nearly 3 weeks before contacting customer service about the wild ride our order was on. It went everywhere it seems. Well, that first order was marked "Dead Letter" by the post office and destroyed at Shutterfly's request. My kitten was destroyed. It was like losing her all over again.

So customer service made another order on the 24th, in which, I had corrected the address. I checked on the 25th, and the address had reverted to the wrong address! The memorial items were headed to the same, wrong place, and if we had not intervened, she would have been destroyed AGAIN! So on the 25th, I contacted customer service again and made a third order. This time, we made sure that the address was correct and watched it every step of the way. It all arrived today, and we were so happy with everything until I opened the photo book. The picture is upside down on the back cover, her face is cut off in several of the photos, some of our text has been cut off, and the last picture we were ever able to take of her has her face smushed up and unseeable in the crease of the pages.

This has been so hard to go through after losing that precious, little soul. She was the light of my life, and I can never get her back, and Shutterfly has made all of this so much harder and more traumatizing than it should have been. They did reach out and apologize for continually sending my Peach to the wrong address and offered me $20 free on my next purchase. $20 to cover the trauma of hearing that my Peach's memorial things with her pictures had been "disposed of" and incinerated.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Shutterfly.com does not delete photos even if you delete them from their portal. Below are the sequence of events that happened. 1) I created an account on shutterfly.com. 2) I uploaded my family photos. 3) I created and ordered a hard cover album from them. 4) They delivered the album too. Quality was mediocre but all good so far. 5) I do not want shutterfly to keep my photos so I logged in to their account and deleted all the photos in early December 2020. 6) After a month (early Jan 2021), I logged in again and saw that photos were still not deleted. Moreover they were using my pics to advertise their products to me.

7) I contacted them on Facebook AND their website customer service. Both the channels confirmed that my photos were deleted from their database. 8) I logged in again on Aug/12/2021 and saw that photos were still not deleted. Again they were using my pics to advertise their products to me. This is unacceptable and if possible I will definitely take some action against it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

After many years of making individual Shutterfly books, I was asked to do our 50th high school reunion's yearbook. I decided to use Shutterfly since I was familiar with the program. A year and a half later, the 50-page book was ready to be printed. I arranged for 1 advanced copy to be sent to me. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with the quality of the publication. I immediately called Shutterfly to discuss what went wrong. I was told it was my pictures. No, I don't believe it is! It's a printing error. Each picture had what could only be described as 'blue measles' on it.

I talked to a couple of people - one was no help and one said he knew what the problem was and how to correct it. I then ordered another advance copy to be sent to the reunion chairperson to review. This was a good copy. Feeling that the Shutterfly error had been corrected, I proceeded to order 120 books, which were pre-paid. As they started to arrive at the reunion chairperson's residence and the boxes were open, she was dismayed to find that the 'blue measles' were back. Several phone calls and hundreds of books later, we were able to count 120 good books. There were over 200 books that now needed to be recycled as they were unacceptable.

To say I'm deeply disappointed in Shutterfly is just sad. Sad that so many people were involved and so many damaged books were received. Each book had to be unwrapped and reviewed. Each unacceptable book had to be physically recycled. While we eventually were able to satisfactorily receive 120 books, the whole process was unnecessary. Shutterfly let us down with poor quality control and shipping of damaged goods. I believe Shutterfly owes us a huge credit for the ordeal we had to go through to get our original order delivered. I even question my use of Shutterfly for future books that I enjoy making with our vacation photographs. Bottom line - Shutterfly needs better printing quality control and should not ship damaged books.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Shutterfly - please, please, please change your photo book creator back to the way it used to be. The new layout is terrible, not to mention lacking some of the options you previously offered. I've been making photo books on Shutterfly for over 15 years now and you guys were hands down, the best. It was easy to navigate and offered many different layouts and cool backgrounds/embellishments/frames/etc. that other companies did not. Now, it takes me five times as long to create a book...to the point that I will have to start looking for another site/platform. My friends all feel the same. You guys get more and more expensive, but yet offer fewer and fewer options; doesn't really make sense. :( So, please go back to the previous format. I don't mind paying more if it's doable to navigate and I know the finished product will have the features I want. Thanks!! Then I will be happy to change my review to 5 stars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I ordered a hard cover photo book for a friend moving out of town. Online the pictures were crisp and beautiful. I received the book 6 days later and all the pics were black, can’t see faces, poor quality.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I ordered a picture collage for my husband's first Father's Day. I received notification that the order would be delayed. Then, it was “lost in the mail” and never arrived because Shutterfly put the wrong name and address on it. Name and address were correct on my account. So disappointed. Will never use this site again.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Ordered a custom card for my 85 yr old mom on Mother's Day. Made sure the delivery date was well early enough. It disappeared in shipping. Tracking number I was given is bogus. Not recognized by UPS or USPS. Shutterfly sent out another card free of charge assuring me I'd get it in time. Now it won't get here until days past Mother's Day. Sorry, sorry, sorry they keep saying. "Sorry" is highly over rated and does nothing to fix the issue.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Won several free items through Albertsons’ Monopoly Shop Play Win game literally like 40 items as I shop there almost daily and decided to redeem them. First and foremost, you can’t redeem duplicates despite you not having control over what tokens you receive (and also paying to even play this game). You have to have separate accounts practically for each item. Then they charge astronomically high shipping fees for EACH item. They will advertise a “sale” or “free” item as $8.99, but once you add it to the cart, they’ll claim that shipping is $10-15 Per item you add. Just by simply adding three of the free items I won all under $9.99, and claiming to be marked down from Approximately $17.99, they’ll make up for it in $40+ in shipping (no exaggeration.). The total shipping for these alleged free items reached $80 and I refuse to pay that lmao. Must be on heavy drugs if you do.

Do better Shutterfly. As a first time customer, I would never pay for that when I can make the same stuff on a cricut. Albertson should also partner with companies that are not price gouging like Shutterfly. If I am already paying $300 in groceries and receive these game pieces as an incentive, why on earth would I pay an additional $80+ for “free” items I supposedly won?

Shutterfly author review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team