3.07/5

151 Shutterfly Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I was unhappy with the picture frame that I received due to the fact that I couldn't read the font on the frame. The picture quality came out fantastic, so I was incredibly bummed about the poem not showing up. I chatted with a representative and they not only sent me the refund in money, so I could order another frame, but they also credited me back the cost of shipping. Now that is customer service. I will definitely be doing business with them again!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Every time my husband and I return from vacation, I put together a Shutterfly album. When my husband and I remarried, I put together a Shutterfly wedding album. Whenever my grandkids visit for a week I put together a little book for them. When my best friend got married I did a wedding album as their wedding gift. A dear friend has recently lost her son to a horrible disease. I am going to do a remembrance album for her once she is ready to go through photos. I recently bought a cute Shutterfly storybook for my grandkids regarding their dog -- simply put their names on a form and Shutterfly put the little storybook together. The albums are easy to put together, the quality of the books is top notch, and I happily give Shutterfly books 5 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Online Photo Printing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

For a long time I’ve been asking my wife to make some photo books of our vacations. Got my first one for Christmas and it was awesome. Great memories. Really nice quality. Wife said the interface to get layouts was really easy. Now I’m hoping for more!

Original review: June 26, 2019

I was tricked into doing business with them once and only once by winning "free" items in the Monopoly Safeway game. Then they had more "free" promos on their website. It's all a complete lie, you pay as much in shipping as you do for the "free" item so you might as well pay for it and get the "free" shipping for spending over $49 anyway. I thought I could workaround and actually buy an additional $49 worth of items which I never intended originally to purchase but sure enough they exclude the "free" items even on this promotional.

I thought well that's fine, like a door prize, but not even. They are actually making you pay their full Chinese sweatshop price through "shipping" charges on every single "free" item every single time. Never never ever go to Shutterfly. In general I try to stick with Vistaprint for invites and cards since they actually seem to do a more honest sales job, but Monopoly Safeway duped me. I feel so mad I'm probably even going to boycott Safeway over this too.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I have used another printing service for years with fine results but I wanted a large print in a panoramic format that my usual service didn't offer so I tried Shutterfly. Simply put, the print was awful, badly exposed, out of focus and off on the color. The original jpeg, which I rechecked, is fine. The lousy print job was the fault of the service. I filed a complaint with SF but have no expectation the issue will be addressed and I will not use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I ordered birthday invitations for my stepdaughter's birthday party. The first set of invites that I ordered came and there was a huge shadow at the bottom that had not been shown in the preview image and so you couldn’t see the black lettering with all the party information. So I ordered another set of invitations. This time I put all the information on the back so that it was easy to read. Well my new invites come and now the picture on the front is completely blurry. They look terrible and I’m very disappointed that I wasn’t alerted when I was making the invitations that my picture would not be the best quality. It has told me that before but it did not this time and now I’ve wasted $60 on birthday invitations. So I guess I’m sending out either one that the guests will have a hard time reading or one that has a extremely blurry picture on the front of it. I will not be using Shutterfly anymore and I will be telling my friends and family not to either.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I will never use the company again and neither should you. I ordered a photo book, paid extra to get guaranteed shipment by a certain date and they missed the date. I had gone back and forth with emails days before since the order status kept saying “being created” and all they would say is “sorry, there’s a delay.” The couldn’t tell me why or how long it would take. Customer service is awful. The rep actually got attitude with me. At first all they offered me was $10 credit. I eventually got them to credit me the entire price of the book which I still don’t have and which will miss the party for which it was created.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I received my first order of prints today and to say they were horrible would be an understatement. Photos are blurry, distorted, and cut off with a thick gray bar. When I addressed the issue they blamed the resolution. Which is not the case. These were professional high resolution photos. I was only offered a $10 credit to purchase more prints. I wish there was an option to upload the photos here.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I had ordered a book for my portfolio (college student) and it was sent to me wrong 2 times and then the last time the color was running out of the printer so there were red lines across the entire book. The 2 times they were missing pictures and some were duplicated. I had to pay shipping on the 2 new books that they messed up, $9 each. I believe paying shipping on their wrongdoing is ridiculous. The only time I didn't pay shipping was when the coloring was messed up. My book was also damaged on all 3 that were messed up. Even though in the end they corrected it (after me paying $19 in shipping), it took 2 1/2 months for a correct one to arrive which I was very dissatisfied with.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I received an e-mail offering me "99 free magnets." I spent over two hours carefully formatting each one through the Shutterfly app. When I went to check out, the shipping cost was $108.54. (I used to work in customer service; it costs about $10 to ship a box of magnets.) I find this incredibly manipulative and deceitful. I have been a good Shutterfly customer over the years, and I have enjoyed many of their products. But this is absolutely obscene. I fully understand that companies need to profit (even from free or promotional offers), but charging over $100 to ship a so-called "free gift" is incredibly manipulative and wrong.

I am not so much worried about not receiving the "free magnets" as I am about the two hours I spent formatting them: two hours of my life wasted that I will never get back. I was not seeking out magnets. I do not have a need for magnets. I chose to take them up on this offer because it was a promotional offer. I called customer service to issue a formal complaint. They said there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. Okay, no problem. But I am now officially done with this company (a company I once ordered from with some frequency) and I plan to tell everyone I know about their dishonest and manipulative promotional practices.

Original review: May 19, 2019

For those who may have recently fallen off the turnip truck, this one’s for you: What a joke! Try this on for size-25 free magnets; identical photo and background on all 25. Guess how much S&H. $46 + tax: >$50. Now that’s some kind of free. Wonder how much S&H would be on the 99 free magnets??

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have had issues in the past with ridiculous shipping costs from Shutterfly, but now I find they now charge for all but 4 book themes... They used to be free with a few paid. Now it's just the reverse. Stay away from Shutterfly, regardless of the "deal" they offer!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was led to believe that Shutterfly would be a great place to get customized, quality graduation announcements, along with fair pricing. I was excited to see the product, but when it arrived I realized their quality was awful, and wasnt as nice as I had originally hoped. I don't normally buy products online, usually because of this kind of thing. I wouldn't recommend this website for anything you want, especially if you're looking for quality prints. I wouldn't normally complain about something so miniscule, but I was very disappointed.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have loads of Shutterfly stories of the messed up items, bad shipping problems, damaged products, ridiculous quality control, exorbitant shipping rates, and fake freebies. But I won’t bore you with details, just know that there are many. And for 10-11 years I put up with all of it because it was still worth it in that up until like 1.5-2 years ago. The customer service reps were very kind and generous about replacing things, fixing things, giving coupons or discounts for your inconveniences. But then 1.5-2 years ago I started noticing changes and customer service reps were becoming more difficult to deal with and were very much less helpful in resolving issues. Mind you I didn’t have issues that were my own fault because that’s on me... but I had constantly occurring issues with the products... poor printing, crooked printing, so on and so forth.

And it got harder and harder for them to simply reprint or replace products, and forget about the coupons or future discounts for your hassle. At one point I spoke with a manager and she said they had changed one of the big wigs... the CEO or some other high ranking person at Shutterfly, and he was the person making all these changes. Shutterfly now spends most of its time giving away free garbage on tv shows so they look good but meanwhile they’re raking customers over the coals. They want the world to think they’re wonderful on tv but they don’t care much about the customers anymore. Even ones like me who had been loyal for over a decade and had spent plenty of money with them. So that’s the short of it.

Your shipping rates will always be disgustingly high and unreasonable. They will allow you now to combine WAY LESS coupons than ever in the past. Their quality control on every type of item is horrendous so PLEASE triple check your items when they come in. Customer service is so much more difficult now. But the best part is that there are far more companies offering photo products these days that now offer much better options than Shutterfly because you don’t have to babysit them or always feel cheated thanks to the blatant way Shutterfly rips you off. When I started ordering from Shutterfly all those years ago there were very few options and that’s why I started. But now we have far more opportunities.

I still stay signed up for all the emails from companies that give freebies out here and there and I just put the coupon codes on FB for anyone to use if they want to. It’s just very rarely worth it for me anymore. I haven’t ordered anything in over a year, and unless they start shifting back to treating customers better, I won’t be going back.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Got a 25 dollar promo code from Best Buy from buying a SSD which came with a Shutterfly 25 code to spend on their website, I get sent the code, which keep in mind doesn't really say what doesn't apply to or what makes it inapplicable. So I go and I see the whole website is on sale, I purchase two art prints, one 5x7 which is on sale for 7.99, regular price (14) and a 8x8 art print which was also on sale for 12.99, regular price (25) and two regular 4x4 prints which are 20 cents each. I go to check out, total came up to 25.60 with shipping price included. I apply the code which then says not applicable for sales product, which really makes no sense since the whole website is on sale, which literally makes the 25 dollar promo code impossible to apply! Regardless I went with the checkout and said I'll use it next time, so I purchased it. Went to check out the code in my account which disappeared.

I called Customer service. The guy was helpful to begin with. I explained exactly what had happened. He seemed like he was going to explain and tell me what had happened, he started talking about the way business works and how the company makes money, which sort of was irrelevant to my issue. Then he said the reason your promo code disappeared is because I used it when I checked out, which like I said I wasn't able to use to begin with because the items were on sale anyways. He stated the full price of both art prints I bought and said it discounted the price on them, which again does not make sense because they were on sale already to begin with. Which makes the website/company itself very misleading. There was no point to the promo code to begin with which made it this whole process very contradicting. Either way you lost a customer and his word for this lying company.

Original review: April 25, 2019

A steep learning curve, finicky import. Only jpegs allowed but would not take all jpegs. Had to open some jpegs in another program and resave as a jpeg. No explanation as to why. Checkout is a blizzard of add ons to click through. Got to end and received a message that for $0.80 more I could get free shipping. So, I combined the shipment with another book ($39 more). Guess what? Instead of free shipping, I was charged $18 for shipping. This company seems to be managed by low-class marketers. There are better options.

Original review: April 24, 2019

The Shutterfly app ran a promo for free magnets, all you had to pay was the shipping. I ordered 40 magnets. Upon reviewing my order my order was placed. Shipping was $78. When my package arrived it weighed 3 lb. I contacted UPS, gave the size dimensions of the box as well as the weight, the Minnesota area code that it was shipped from to my New York State address. I was told shipping cost $22.50. I contacted Shutterfly and ask for the additional $50 in charges came in??

After escalating my complaint to three different levels I was given a $78 credit. I have ordered from Shutterfly numerous times and have always been pleased. The new app in free merchandise is misleading. I could have easily ordered 40 magnets and not pay $78 from any other company. I personally will be deleting the app and gave feedback on how the marketing team should word free promotions. Please don't tell your customers that shipping was $78 when in reality it was 20.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Ordered my daughter's graduation announcements on April 11th. They came in wrong. Called and rep. said she would fix and replace my order at no charge. Next day "poof" they canceled my order. I called back, they had no explanation as to why it was canceled. They placed my order AGAIN. "Poof" they canceled my order AGAIN. Meanwhile, my daughter's graduation is now a month away! Called back AGAIN, rep. stated they were extremely sorry and would reprint my cards AND refund my money. Assured me ALL was straight and to look for my refund in 7 to ten business days. Received email later that day... You guessed it! Canceled! Stated "unable to produce"?!?

Called them back AGAIN, recapped my Entire story... Rep. said there was an issue but couldn't access the exact issue. Would turn over to some technical dept. Would get an answer via email as to why my order could not be printed within 24 to 48hrs. Now on top of all they other delays a couple of additional days to figure out their issue, perfect! Received an email the following morning... said my order was what folks??! CANCELED!! Get this, an ADDITIONAL REPRINT ORDER WAS PLACED WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE! Clicked on the mystery order they placed and it was named "Fixed". I looked at the preview for that order. They had removed the name of my daughter's college and date of her graduation!! Really?!?

BUT THEN I RECEIVED YET ANOTHER EMAIL FROM THEM. They canceled their own unauthorized reprint order they "Fixed" by removing text from my daughter's announcements! Now, I assure you all, her college name and date both fit within the template box! No reason it should have been unable to be printed! But to have them without my permission just delete college and grad. date is unbelievable! The real kicker, they canceled their own "Fixed" reprint order!! I'm absolutely furious! Do not waste your time with these people! Go somewhere else! Horrible company!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have received my very first and last order. The worse quality of prints ever. Photos are altered, faces, legs, and arms cut off! Do not order from them! Photos are dark, compared to the same prints from Costco!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Placed an order with Shutterfly for graduation announcements. Had a promo for 10 free cards and 40% off. When I applied the promos the total cost was more than what it would have been without the promo. Took the 40% discount off and when I received my order I did not get 10 additional cards only a slight discount. When I call them on it they said that I could return my order for a refund but that I would have to pay the shipping costs. What a scam. Don't trust them. Will never order from them again or any of their affiliates.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have a promo code for a FREE reusable shopping bag. The shipping costs are more than the product. I just wish they wouldn't use the word FREE if I will end up owing even a single penny. Very misleading.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I really wish I could give this company no stars. I also wish I had read and believed the reviews on multiple sites before I ordered from them. I placed an order on March 7...almost two weeks ago for a photo book for my daughter in law and her mother. This was supposed to be a surprise. You guessed it - similar to every negative comment here - they have not received the product. NOTHING. I have called Shutterfly 4 times and they keep saying "window of delivery" which I guess translates to no delivery. What a disappointment and waste of my money. They also said they were creating a new book and would be sending it out immediately - but NOTHING. The new books are not even being created??? Is this company a scam?

Original review: March 12, 2019

Each time I have ordered from them the wait time is way longer than the estimated window of time they give you. What business gives you a window of time of 5 days in 2019? Been waiting two weeks now for prints and they were so quick to resend them out rush for free to get them here... I don't think they sent them the first time. My mail never gets lost.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I purchased a toiletry bag for my husband as a thank you for all he had done for in the last 18 months since my back surgery. The bag was the size of a tube of hand cream. After the order was placed the confirmation stated a child's toiletry bag, since when do kids need a toiletry bag anyway! The bag was promoted for pictures in the bag so the material should not have been a issue. It was a $22 order and additional $35 for shipping but beings I was getting free pics I overlooked that because truthfully nothing is free. The quality and the size of the bag was just sickening and I really don't have time to get something else. They offered me a $14.00 coupon for more of their junk! I said NO!!! What's wrong with people to let merchandise go out that looked like a 3 year old did, well not to insult 3 year olds - they could have done better.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We ordered custom wedding invitations using the online service to Shutterfly. We paid more to have custom lined envelopes that were pretty. When the invitations arrived at our house to mail out we discovered that the envelopes are actually PLAIN... And we were supposed to assemble all of them ourselves. Have to peel a sticky tape off of each piece of paper and shoving it in the envelope to give the appearance of a real lined envelope... In addition doesn’t go all the way across the page the corner of peel up. It looks cheap.

When I called to alert them a customer service rep offered to just refund the upgraded money for the custom envelope but the fact remains I have to do these myself for over 100 envelopes and she said it’s always been like this. They always get complaint. They know the envelopes are not really custom and yes they know it advertises that way anyway.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I dropped the top to my mug, and it shattered. It wasn't even that old. Shutterfly doesn't sell replacement tops. I have to get a whole new mug. Very frustrating and wasteful! Why can't they sell the tops separately? I have to believe I'm not the only one with this problem.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have ordered their blankets for 8 years - 7 of those years for our football players. They had the best blankets. Well in 2018 they changed them - their material w/ the blankets they are horrible. They have had replace 2 I ordered 3x on football. Ordered 22. They had to replace 5 of them then again 2 more. Their blankets use to be thick, now very thin like cotton t-shirt. So very sad. Then got a blanket w/ my dogs on it. It was blue on the bottom of the blanket. The material is out of it. So now they have replaced this blanket 4x. Their products are great products but now they have changed the blanket material. They are terrible. Just beware. So thin it pulls the threads out of it. Such a shame.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I bought 155 matching envelopes, liners, and save the date cards in November for my wedding in September totaling in over $200 (much more expensive than some of your competitors but I figured this would mean higher quality — NOPE). It took me a few months of handwriting addresses a little at a time every night and putting in the envelope liners. I finally finished up this weekend and stamped all of them with my own return address stamp (that I now have to buy new ink for to re stamp another 150 envelopes). As I begin to put postage stamps on them and seal them, I realize the adhesive on the envelopes isn’t sealing.

I called Shutterfly and after 45 minutes of being told they “had never dealt with this” as if I was lying and asked me to ship everything back as if I wanted to waste more time with this company, the best I was offered was 30% off my next purchase (which will absolutely never be happening based solely on this experience), a $50 refund and a new set of the SAME envelopes. So, I’m back to square one of rewriting, re stamping and re inserting liners and hoping they actually seal this time. Such a waste of time and money. I was ready to buy invitations but I would never ever work with these people again. I am part of a very large wedding buy/sell/advice group in my city and this experience will be shared. Bad business Shutterfly! No way to handle an already stressful situation for brides to be.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Shutterfly’s 30 minute cutoff for changing or canceling an order is customer service at its worse. Daughter ordered a canvas picture that we discovered was too large after the thirty minute time period, wanted to change the size not cancel the order. Nope, can’t change. Stuck with $150 bill. What an absolute ripoff of consumers.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I bought two small calendars and had them shipped to the UK. In addition to the cost of the calendars, shipping and handling was $30. When my brother received the calendars he was charged an additional $35 for customs import fees. This information is hidden on the Shutterfly website so the customer is not aware that customs fees have to be paid by the recipient of the gift. Why isn't this information stated as a warning before checkout? At least then the customer can make an informed decision whether to pay $90 for two paper calendars.

Shutterfly expert review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

• Best for: consumers who want creative ways to print and share their photographs.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout