Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Shutterfly Reviews

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I see a lot of negative reviews on Shutterfly today that indicates they are overcome with orders this year and I’m sure they are just as devastated as we are, That being said, I want you to know how amazing they have been to me. This was my first time to use Shutterfly. I designed a photo album of my pictures from the Vietnam War for one of my four sons. The photo assistant helped me create an amazing album and my son loves it! I started on it with plenty of lead time and received it early even though the first album had to be changed. They ended up sending me four copies for the cost of one because they knew I had four sons! Today I gave them to my sons and they were thrilled! Thank you Shutterfly. Next I’m doing an album of my entire family and can’t wait to get started.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I've been shopping on Shutterfly since I bought my first dell computer about 15 years ago. I've been uploading my photos since then whenever I had a project in mind, which were mostly gifts, and even some items for myself. I did have a little worry about the future availability of my photos, so I did keep my own copies as well. But through the years I've discovered that all my photos are still there, intact. I also discovered that I could share albums of childhood photos with my 23 cousins, all they had to do was create an account and share the album I created as a shared album. They started uploading their own photos and like magic, now we have a collection of old photos from about 20 people all on Shutterfly.

Any of us can make photo books, pillows, puzzles, blankets, mugs, or any other photo gift from any of the photos. I think this is one of the most desirable features of the website, although it was almost by accident that I discovered it. So needless to say, I've been very happy year to year, adding photos, making holiday and birthday gifts, all of which turned out to be excellent quality. But what really turned me into a devoted future customer was an issue I had this holiday season. 2 of my 20 gifts went to the party's old address. Now I wasn't sure what happened, I could have sworn I'd changed the addresses, but with so many gifts I was working on, I couldn't be sure. I called Shutterfly to see what could be done, and they offered to remake and send the new items for free.

Unfortunately they would arrive after the holidays, but I didn't care, I was so happy to have them remade. Then today I get 2 emails saying they will arrive before Christmas! I am so pleased with this super service. I know the rep had to jump through some hoops to make that happen, and he did it after my phone call to him. In my opinion it was above and beyond. I am so grateful because A I didn't have to get aggravated and B it turned out a perfect solution!

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I ordered a blanket for my mom for Christmas. I was worried about it since I've never ordered from them before. It took 5 days to ship to me and when I received it I was not disappointed, the blanket was a queen size, it was so soft, the picture quality was amazing and I just all out loved it! The pictures on the blanket are in the fabric so they won't wash off or fade. I am very very satisfied, I've been raving about them and also recommending them to everybody, also I got some great deals with the promotion codes, I will definitely shop with them again.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I was unhappy with the picture frame that I received due to the fact that I couldn't read the font on the frame. The picture quality came out fantastic, so I was incredibly bummed about the poem not showing up. I chatted with a representative and they not only sent me the refund in money, so I could order another frame, but they also credited me back the cost of shipping. Now that is customer service. I will definitely be doing business with them again!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Every time my husband and I return from vacation, I put together a Shutterfly album. When my husband and I remarried, I put together a Shutterfly wedding album. Whenever my grandkids visit for a week I put together a little book for them. When my best friend got married I did a wedding album as their wedding gift. A dear friend has recently lost her son to a horrible disease. I am going to do a remembrance album for her once she is ready to go through photos. I recently bought a cute Shutterfly storybook for my grandkids regarding their dog -- simply put their names on a form and Shutterfly put the little storybook together. The albums are easy to put together, the quality of the books is top notch, and I happily give Shutterfly books 5 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I am not the one to post bad reviews ever, however this one was pretty heartbreaking and I want to help others by sharing this. My grandmother went into the hospital with only 30% of her heart working near Christmas. I ordered from Shutterfly like I always do. This time I ordered a cross with my grandmother's picture with us on there. No warnings showed up so I ordered it. It came in very blurry but I did not have time to contact Shutterfly and get a new one before Christmas, so I gave the blurry one to my dad. He cried and I promised I would get him a new one.

I called them the next day, a wonderful woman said that even she had issues with it when she ordered one herself and helped me figure it out. She said that I could contact them again before ordering to ensure the second one would be right which the person said it was perfect. I saved the chat of the person who helped me. It came in blurrier than the first one. I just called for help again when the rep and her manager refused to help me because I accidentally entered in a different email address (same name) on the order than the one on the account. I was heartbroken that after 10 years of many orders, they would not help me with something that means so much to me and my family. I am now on the search for a new company for my future orders. Hope this helps.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I ordered two items on December 1st 2019. I messed up one order and cancelled it and weeks went by and I checked status and other item was not shipped yet. I called and they told me so sorry and they would ship it and nothing ever came so I finally DECIDED TO CANCEL THAT AS WELL.. THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD REFUND ME AND JUST TO KEEP THE PILLOW IF IT DOES ARRIVE FOR FREE.. So it finally did after many weeks but today my bank notified me that they charged my card for that order! Wtf.... I cancelled and still got charged.. Nobody in customer service can ever get the info correct.. They need reported to BBB. Such rip offs..

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Spent several hours creating a calendar online through Shutterfly to give to our 87 year old grandmother for Christmas. The order was placed on December 5th would and estimated delivery date of December 11th. Today is January 12th and it’s yet to arrive!!!! Clearly I was disappointed as it was a Christmas present and I had to apologize to our grandmother and explain to her what had happened. After several emails with Shutterly before Christmas they had said they’d send out a new one yet refused to reimburse me the money. As I stated it’s over a month later and still no calendar. Thoroughly upset with this company especially customer service and will never buy from them again. So many good companies that produce similar items with great customer service, no need to waste time and money with this one.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Shame on Shutterfly's tricky language! Blame the customer. I received a 11 x 14 framed photo as a gift. Excited, I pulled the black framed photo out of the box, and was stunned at the fuzzy, low grade image, the terribly second-rate white matting, and the cheap black frame that shutterfly mailed out. When calling the contact number and speaking with two representatives, I was told basically "Too bad." Their promise "We want you to love the shutterfly." -- apparently not!...

This company does not use quality control for photos to assist customers to ensure that the best product possible is available to customers. Instead of working with the client to ensure quality, "They just accept whatever the photo is - without any cleanup of the image, nor do they make recommendations on best sizes for best results, or help the customer in any manner," they just take the photo and funds (which the price is extremely high - compared to other companies that offer this same service), with quality way beyond what shutterfly does). As the gift receiver, I am appalled that this company does not back up their product. My instructions were to just contact the gift giver. I do not want the gift giver to be embarrassed by their choice to use this inferior company. Plus, we live in different states, so I cannot just drive over and give the picture to the individual.

Thus, the shutterfly guarantee as below is worthless - and they refused to follow their own guarantee: the shutterfly guarantee "We're not happy unless you're happy. It's that simple. We get how important your memories are to you. And, we'll securely store all those photos at the same resolution at which you uploaded them. We also promise we'll never delete them (not even the embarrassing ones). " Oh, shame on shutterfly's tricky language! - that's right - put it back on the customer!!! Without quality control assistance to customers, this company cannot produce the best quality product? Recommendation: use quality control to assist customers for quality product!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I spent over $700 on photo books. They were awful! Captions and embellishments/stickers cut off the sides of the pages, photos missing, embellishments missing, entire pages missing, photos printed too dark, backgrounds so dark you can’t make out the print design or even the color... wasted at least an hour trying to get help with customer service online chat. I asked them to get a customer service rep to call me and they said they couldn’t. I called customer service and waited an hour on hold and got no resolution. I emailed and asked the guy that replied to call me. He wanted to know what the problem was and I told him it would take hours to explain all the problems and we would have to go through them page by page and so he would have to call me back on my day off.

We arranged for a time For him to call me back and he never did. I called back again and waited another half hour on hold. I spent another 20 minutes explaining the situation and all I have been through already. The guy I spoke to said he was going to escalate it to someone with a higher position. He asked me to hold and the call got dropped. He never called me back. I tried calling him back. They said he was unavailable and I left a message for him to return my call. Haven’t heard from anyone. This is the worst customer service I have ever received!

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Shutterfly expert review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

• Best for: consumers who want creative ways to print and share their photographs.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team