3.8/5 (506 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I have been user of Kodak gallery which rolled over to Shutterfly. So, to start with I didn't choose Shutterfly. It was forced on me. I had ordered many things in past through Kodak and Shutterfly too. No dramas. I Live in Australia and my parents in India. I created photo book of all our memories and wanted to give them surprise on specific date. I had placed order 1 month back. I had selected pics and written down description of each page. Over 2 -3 days of enthusiastic energy imagining they will enjoy end product when received. After being convinced, I placed order. To start with, none of their promo code works like Shippit or blah blah...I check in status of tracking after a week of due date and shocked to see items undeliverable and will be disposed off due to regulations. I got online and escalated calls. Some said they might have dropped letter to collect from local shop and other said you/recipient may have received email.

They used 3rd party courier without notifying me. Since it was surprise, I had not told my parents about it but now I had to reveal them. Upon checking with them online they said, "Sorry we can't control once it has left us. We can either refund or reorder." I can't afford to trust them another week and wanted to gift them so I said track the parcel and deliver. I gave them contact number of my father and email. On the email, address was incorrect to what I supplied. Local company said we can deliver only to address provided and Shutterfly said we only put address provided at time of order. Both made joke of my order.

Never ever use Shutterfly. They didn't provide any contact number of third party or their own. They have robots installed. No humans. Local delivery person didn't give his details too to my father....That company is UPS utterly rubbish. Whatever the outcome is, I will download my pics and cancel my account with them....If you are planning to create account with Shutterfly..Don't! Stop right now.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I used to be a fan of this company and have made several picture books that I was very pleased with. However, my latest experience with this company is my last. I ordered professional prints in multiple sizes. One of the prints is a 5x7 they printed but the prints they sent they had cut out part of the actual picture. The result was what looked like a floating head because they cut out the bottom of the print which was the chest. The worst was the two 8x10 prints they sent me. They put them in a paper envelope with only a very thin piece of cardboard for protection. The envelope is not even marked “pictures - don’t bend.” So, the envelope was stuck in the mailbox, bent. Reached out to them and they sent out a second order and those were packaged the same way and also arrived damaged.

I contacted them again and asked if they could be packaged with more protection and overnighted as these were gifts that were now late. I was told they could not overnight but they would expedite this order. The third order arrived in a week, which was only one day sooner than the last two orders. Guess what? Packaged the same way and arrived once again- damaged! This is totally unacceptable. There are too many other available companies to use. I’m done with Shutterfly. Think twice before you consider them.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Shutterfly double charged me for items ordered for Father's Day. Their return and refund policy is extremely difficult and challenging. I don't think they care about their consumers. Do not install or use this app!

Original review: May 24, 2022

Confirmed bill of $101. Credit card was billed $202. Try to get customer service and a person. IMPOSSIBLE. Shutterfly of late has gone downhill. Go elsewhere. You have choices. I wish I could give 0 stars.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I had used Shutterfly several times with no problems, but I recently went back to them for prints and got a blurry, unusable mess. The photos were taken with the same camera I had used before and in roughly the same lighting. It’s almost like they used a cheaper printer this time around. Whatever their problem is, all I know is, I’m switching to a different company for future pictures.

Original review: April 5, 2022

First off, I cannot use Chrome to view their websites. Shutterfly and Lifetouch both break when using incognito and normal modes. I had to download and install Brave to get it to work, and at that the website barely functions for Brave. This is the 3rd year in a row that the website has been a super hassle to use. Not recognizing Portrait ID's, Access Codes or School ID's. Secondly, after just purchasing digital images you do not receive your images with any promptness. I did not select any edits or touchups, just the digital images. And I have not received the images yet (as of several days of this writing). They need to look into hiring some better website designers.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I ordered photos and magnets of a professional photoshoot. They arrived too dark. After an excessive chat session, I finally got credit to my account to place a reorder. BUT they REFUSED to pay shipping, so it would basically cost be the same amount that I originally paid when I received free shipping! What a scam! I will never use Shutterfly again. Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is worthless and misleading.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I purchased photos from Preschool Smiles under the advertisement that Preschool Smiles, Lifetouch and Shutterfly accounts are all linked and all albums are uploaded. Wrong! When I ordered from preschool smiles, I paid 85.00 for 10 5x7 photos, that were of poor quality. I tried to reorder at a cheaper price through shutterfly but only album uploaded and no one could help. The preschool smiles and lifetouch accounts are not linked which forces your order at a higher price... Almost triple the cost!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

This is the second experience we’ve had with them regarding holiday mishaps. The latest…we received our New Year's cards extremely late. When we opened the packages, it was missing 6 of the 30 5x7 envelopes to send out. Plus, inside packages were ripped open. When contacting customer service, they stated they would ship the 6 missing, but it would take 5 days to get here. Prior to this order, they messed up 4 photo books as well. Thought we’d give them a second chance and same result. Steer clear of them. They have a low rating for a reason. No refund of any kind given.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Shutterfly is very hard to create a canvas and then 2 came back with half my family cut off. Will never order from this company again and I have emailed snd contacted customer service to no avail. Awful awful experience!!!

Shutterfly author review by Jonathan Trout

Shutterfly is an internet-based photo printing company based in Redwood City, California. It helps customers preserve memories through unique gifts and prints using their personal photographs. Shop for and customize creations like photo books, cards and stationery, prints, calendars, gifts, decor and more. Shutterfly also lets you create private group sharing sites for your photographs.

• Print savings plans: Shutterfly’s annual print plan is $29.99 per year and gives you a savings of 30 percent on unlimited prints for the entire year. Prepaid portrait plans let you collect print credits, which you can redeem for professional quality prints, saving you up to 40 percent. Prepaid 4x6 plans let you buy 4x6 prints for nine cents each. All plan details and pricing are available online.

• Personalized gifts: Personalize gifts using your photos, along with monogrammed text. Popular items include travel mugs, jewelry, glass prints and fleece blankets. Choose from Shutterfly’s newest gift ideas like bookmarks, custom smartphone cases, personalized frames and more. A full list of gifts with pricing for each item is available online.

• Home decor prints: Shutterfly lets you personalize home decor items using your photos on things like canvas prints, pillows, personalized frames and Christmas stockings. Create wall art with photo-spread canvas and metal print wall art, and print your photos on wood panelling for a unique look. All home decor options and pricing are listed online.

• Share sites: Create a private (or public) website containing your personal photos to share with selected friends and family. Customize your website with designs and layouts, share messages and add videos or calendars. Share sites are accessible on any mobile device to view and manage your site on the go.

• Special offers: Shutterfly’s website is full of promotions and daily deals like free shipping, percentages off of various items and new customer offers. Each promotion comes with a promo code you can input upon checkout.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team