3.8/5 (586 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

If there is an issue, no rep will be able to help or answer even basic questions. I needed to order holiday cards that were to be inserted by Shutterfly into pre-addressed envelopes and mailed out to recipients. I paid over $800 for this service to 200 recipients and went through the process of preparing and sending Shutterfly a CSV file on their template.

I spoke to two reps on two different occasions for over two hours to make sure they understood what I needed and get proper instructions. They MESSED it up totally. Instead, each recipient got an orange Shutterfly envelope with an addressed stamp and card inside (so they can stuff the envelope themselves). Don’t rely on Shutterfly customer reps to know their services and products and definitely don’t rely on them to provide white glove services like handling all the mailings. Very embarrassing. If we use them again, we’ll make sure to stuff and mail our own envelopes. Incompetent customer service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

If there is an issue, no rep will be able to help or answer even basic questions. I swear the customer support people don’t even seem to work for Shutterfly. I needed to order additional Christmas cards, so I placed the order Dec 16. They would arrive before Dec 21st. Perfect to give out to neighbors and family. They NEVER arrived. I spoke to two reps on two different occasions for over two hours. They promised they would arrive Dec 30th now. I asked, "Can you guarantee this is even being created? Can you rush shipping? Can you transfer me to the company that actually prints the cards?" Nope. I had no choice but to trust these employees. They will not arrive until well into January. What good are Christmas cards in January?! I could have printed them elsewhere if I didn’t get the runaround.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I am very unhappy with Shutterfly, I ordered Christmas cards and a month later on Christmas Eve they were delivered. I had updates that stated the day they would be delivered and everyday it changed to the next day. I called my local post office and was told this is how Shutterfly operates. This is the 2nd year this has happened per post office. I will not use Shutterfly again. There are a lot of other options!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

What a horrible horrible company,, Had 2 orders going to two different places and both items were never shipped, I paid $37.00 for expedited shipping and still nothing. They single handedly ruined 2 people's Christmas. All they want to do is offer a gift certificate and not refund,, had to demand refund. Why offer your product if you can't deliver? 2 separate orders so don't give me this ** about isolated issue. You took my money no problem! Never ever will I going forward.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I placed an order for Christmas cards on Dec. 12. I received an email when I submitted the order stating that if there are any changes that needed to be made, I would receive an email requiring approval, otherwise it will print. I never received an email, so I went to the site to check on the status. I found it did need approval, and would be backed up even more. I canceled the order, as it wouldn't come until early January. Luckily, I was able to get something nicer, less expensive, and will arrive tomorrow. Thank you, Shutterfly, for saving me $100 for your lack of concern!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Got my order wrong twice despite spending a LOT of time with them online on the reorder!! You will never be able to talk to anyone. VERY frustrating! Stay away from this site. Order locally. You will end up saving a huge amount of time and the order will be done correctly. Shutterfly is pathetic!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I order cards on Dec 8 with the specific date for delivery stated as Dec 20. Today, Dec 19, I received a notice that they were unable to deliver on that date due to "production delays". This is the first I've heard from them since the confirmation of the order on Dec 8. We chose this service because they stated the date they would deliver instead of a range of dates. I should have gone with one of the other services. They are at the higher range in price but it appears they are less capable of actually performing as stated.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I placed an order on Dec 6. I was told my cards would be delivered Dec 17. Once I placed the order it became between Dec 17 and Dec 20. Now - although the site hasn't changed - I called and they won't be delivered at the earliest of December 22. So, I can't send Christmas cards until December 23rd???? HORRIBLE SERVICE. I placed an order well in advance. If they had said December 22nd - I would not have bothered to order. Further after placing my order on December 6 - Shutterfly decides to run a sale 50% off every design I just ordered - as well as reduced expedited shipping. Shutterfly refused to give me this additional discount once I was made aware. I will never use Shutterfly again -- nor should you!!!! AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

Order Christmas Cards on 11/29. Never got them. Fake shipment status updates sent to phone. Customer service useless. Waiting for refund. Will take 10 business days. No cards, out money and Shutterfly couldn’t care less. Avoid.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Poor business practices. I paid $200 to create customized Christmas cards with my own photos and text using the Shutterfly online tool and approved the proofs. When the cards arrived, there is a large Shutterfly logo slapped across Santa's face, plus more Shutterfly promotional text overlaying my photos. Very obtrusive. I called to complain and ask they replace the cards without their promotional messaging. Was told they would not do so. Who is the customer here? Who is paying who $200? Forcing customers to prominently display their promotional messaging - and not disclosing this on the proofs - and then refusing to replace - is a series of bad customer service and business decisions. I certainly recommend looking elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

Very poor quality control. The keychains were blurry and many of the photos ordered had heads cut off. The frames we ordered were damaged as well due to poor packaging. In fact the replacement frame was worse off than the original. :( Will never order from them again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Shipping gets delayed daily and I can't get a straight answer from support. The best they could do was a $10 refund on a $130 order. Nothing will get here in time for the holidays. I'm hoping they don't misuse my content/media but I couldn't get a straight answer on that either. Absolute garbage company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Come on Shutterfly. I expect more from you. Your website - not good. Not good at all. Upload a photo? Um No. At this point - I have tried uploading several different ways and it's the platform man. It says it's my internet - but it's not. DO YOU KNOW WHY? Because I work full time from home and NEVER HAVE CONNECTION ISSUES - MY INTERNET SPEED IS GOLDEN MAN. I'm better off going to the dollar store, buying a 2022 calendar and then printing pictures (courtesy of Walgreen's btw) and cutting them up and placing them over the pictures from the dollar store wall calendar. And you know what? It will be fine - because grandpa and grandma will still love it because it has their grandchildren taped to it.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I just received my photo album. The photos are cut off despite having plenty of space remaining on the page. The photos are not centered. The photos are flat and look extremely cheap. This truly looks like a homemade crafter's project as opposed to a company's product. I will tell everyone never to waste their time or money with Shutterfly.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I spent two hours looking for pictures for a special gift for our daughter and Fiance's engagement present (at the time it was 10 days away). When I supplied the pictures and paid, heads were cut off, etc. When addressing the issue it was "escalated" which to them means 5-6 more days to look at their mistake to fix a "technical" problem that Shutterfly had! Long story short not only will I not receive it in time but it was treated unprofessionally. No one has called me today. In fact I called them. Still no news. Never will I order from them again. This company use to be very good, guess it got too big to care?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Before I dive into the review, I have to say that the customer service people I interacted with were nothing but pleasant. I placed an order for a photobook, a mousepad, a magnet, and a mug. These items were/are memorial pieces dedicated to Peaches. She was the best kitten in the world, and she was lost suddenly on August 2nd, 2021. I placed an order for the aforementioned items on the 4th of August. We waited patiently for them to come in, and waited nearly 3 weeks before contacting customer service about the wild ride our order was on. It went everywhere it seems. Well, that first order was marked "Dead Letter" by the post office and destroyed at Shutterfly's request. My kitten was destroyed. It was like losing her all over again.

So customer service made another order on the 24th, in which, I had corrected the address. I checked on the 25th, and the address had reverted to the wrong address! The memorial items were headed to the same, wrong place, and if we had not intervened, she would have been destroyed AGAIN! So on the 25th, I contacted customer service again and made a third order. This time, we made sure that the address was correct and watched it every step of the way. It all arrived today, and we were so happy with everything until I opened the photo book. The picture is upside down on the back cover, her face is cut off in several of the photos, some of our text has been cut off, and the last picture we were ever able to take of her has her face smushed up and unseeable in the crease of the pages.

This has been so hard to go through after losing that precious, little soul. She was the light of my life, and I can never get her back, and Shutterfly has made all of this so much harder and more traumatizing than it should have been. They did reach out and apologize for continually sending my Peach to the wrong address and offered me $20 free on my next purchase. $20 to cover the trauma of hearing that my Peach's memorial things with her pictures had been "disposed of" and incinerated.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Shutterfly.com does not delete photos even if you delete them from their portal. Below are the sequence of events that happened. 1) I created an account on shutterfly.com. 2) I uploaded my family photos. 3) I created and ordered a hard cover album from them. 4) They delivered the album too. Quality was mediocre but all good so far. 5) I do not want shutterfly to keep my photos so I logged in to their account and deleted all the photos in early December 2020. 6) After a month (early Jan 2021), I logged in again and saw that photos were still not deleted. Moreover they were using my pics to advertise their products to me.

7) I contacted them on Facebook AND their website customer service. Both the channels confirmed that my photos were deleted from their database. 8) I logged in again on Aug/12/2021 and saw that photos were still not deleted. Again they were using my pics to advertise their products to me. This is unacceptable and if possible I will definitely take some action against it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

After many years of making individual Shutterfly books, I was asked to do our 50th high school reunion's yearbook. I decided to use Shutterfly since I was familiar with the program. A year and a half later, the 50-page book was ready to be printed. I arranged for 1 advanced copy to be sent to me. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with the quality of the publication. I immediately called Shutterfly to discuss what went wrong. I was told it was my pictures. No, I don't believe it is! It's a printing error. Each picture had what could only be described as 'blue measles' on it.

I talked to a couple of people - one was no help and one said he knew what the problem was and how to correct it. I then ordered another advance copy to be sent to the reunion chairperson to review. This was a good copy. Feeling that the Shutterfly error had been corrected, I proceeded to order 120 books, which were pre-paid. As they started to arrive at the reunion chairperson's residence and the boxes were open, she was dismayed to find that the 'blue measles' were back. Several phone calls and hundreds of books later, we were able to count 120 good books. There were over 200 books that now needed to be recycled as they were unacceptable.

To say I'm deeply disappointed in Shutterfly is just sad. Sad that so many people were involved and so many damaged books were received. Each book had to be unwrapped and reviewed. Each unacceptable book had to be physically recycled. While we eventually were able to satisfactorily receive 120 books, the whole process was unnecessary. Shutterfly let us down with poor quality control and shipping of damaged goods. I believe Shutterfly owes us a huge credit for the ordeal we had to go through to get our original order delivered. I even question my use of Shutterfly for future books that I enjoy making with our vacation photographs. Bottom line - Shutterfly needs better printing quality control and should not ship damaged books.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Shutterfly - please, please, please change your photo book creator back to the way it used to be. The new layout is terrible, not to mention lacking some of the options you previously offered. I've been making photo books on Shutterfly for over 15 years now and you guys were hands down, the best. It was easy to navigate and offered many different layouts and cool backgrounds/embellishments/frames/etc. that other companies did not. Now, it takes me five times as long to create a book...to the point that I will have to start looking for another site/platform. My friends all feel the same. You guys get more and more expensive, but yet offer fewer and fewer options; doesn't really make sense. :( So, please go back to the previous format. I don't mind paying more if it's doable to navigate and I know the finished product will have the features I want. Thanks!! Then I will be happy to change my review to 5 stars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I ordered a hard cover photo book for a friend moving out of town. Online the pictures were crisp and beautiful. I received the book 6 days later and all the pics were black, can’t see faces, poor quality.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I ordered a picture collage for my husband's first Father's Day. I received notification that the order would be delayed. Then, it was “lost in the mail” and never arrived because Shutterfly put the wrong name and address on it. Name and address were correct on my account. So disappointed. Will never use this site again.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Ordered a custom card for my 85 yr old mom on Mother's Day. Made sure the delivery date was well early enough. It disappeared in shipping. Tracking number I was given is bogus. Not recognized by UPS or USPS. Shutterfly sent out another card free of charge assuring me I'd get it in time. Now it won't get here until days past Mother's Day. Sorry, sorry, sorry they keep saying. "Sorry" is highly over rated and does nothing to fix the issue.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Won several free items through Albertsons’ Monopoly Shop Play Win game literally like 40 items as I shop there almost daily and decided to redeem them. First and foremost, you can’t redeem duplicates despite you not having control over what tokens you receive (and also paying to even play this game). You have to have separate accounts practically for each item. Then they charge astronomically high shipping fees for EACH item. They will advertise a “sale” or “free” item as $8.99, but once you add it to the cart, they’ll claim that shipping is $10-15 Per item you add. Just by simply adding three of the free items I won all under $9.99, and claiming to be marked down from Approximately $17.99, they’ll make up for it in $40+ in shipping (no exaggeration.). The total shipping for these alleged free items reached $80 and I refuse to pay that lmao. Must be on heavy drugs if you do.

Do better Shutterfly. As a first time customer, I would never pay for that when I can make the same stuff on a cricut. Albertson should also partner with companies that are not price gouging like Shutterfly. If I am already paying $300 in groceries and receive these game pieces as an incentive, why on earth would I pay an additional $80+ for “free” items I supposedly won?

Original review: April 8, 2021

First, shipping and handling was nearly half the total cost of my order, those charges were ridiculously high. Second, after 30 minutes of designing photo books, commemorating the meeting of biological siblings who were not raised together, none of the text was printed in the books. Finally, nothing has arrived on time. The last pieces of this order are going on two days late now. After contacting Shutterfly over these issues (it was after hours so through email) no one has responded to me, it's been four days. The quality of the photos was great, the quality of the photos in the book were great, the canvas photos quality was okay, but still waiting on 3 canvases. I will not order from Shutterfly again. There is another reunion planned where my significant other will meet other family members and will use a different organization for prints.

Original review: April 5, 2021

This is the 3rd time I have experienced shipping failures and delivery failures. If your pictures are important to you DO NOT USING THEIR SHIPPING!!! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. You are much better off having the photos printed out at your local drugstore or download them and print them out yourself!

Original review: March 18, 2021

I placed an order of 4 items. I received 3 within 10 days. The last item I was waiting for was a gift so I tried to get a hold of the company to see where it was because it was a month now and I no longer needed this item. You can only contact them through messages which was a nightmare. They told me it was canceled and I would received my money back. I went out and purchased another gift. Weeks later I just received the item which I don't want and have to pay for!!!! Never dealing with this company again!!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

This was my first experience working with any kind of on-line photo products company EVER so I wasn't familiar with many of the steps. I had to call telephone support several times during the creation process to ask specific questions because I wasn't sure what to do next. Each tech support person couldn't have been more helpful, carefully walking me through step by step until I was through the point where I was stuck and moved on to the next step. They also made sure I knew about ALL of the specials and promo codes to take advantage of all the available discounts at the time.

Once my 66-page, 10x10 hardback book was completed, I submitted it for production and nervously waited its arrival. I was so afraid that I did something wrong or that the finished product wouldn't meet my expectations when it arrived. Well, it arrived today and it exceeded my expectations in every possible way! The packaging itself makes it appear to be something REALLY important. The quality of the book was amazing -- the photos look exactly as they had on screen and the pages of the book are thick and substantive. I bought this as a 60th birthday present for my best friend and ordered a second copy to keep. I can't stop looking at it, it's so beautiful. I don't think I've ever been prouder of anything that I've created myself. This book will be a one-of-a-kind present for my friend to treasure for years to come.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I have used Shutterfly for years. I think they have a very good editing platform to create photobooks. But their prices have been creeping up making some of the books I order $175. My latest order was going to cost $210 so I went to the online chat to ask why. I discovered that their advertised 50% off was only on the first 20 pages of a photobook, the rest was only discounted at 30%. The online agent then offered me 50% flat rate on all of my orders for the next month. I was delighted until I realized they never put the discount on my account. When I contacted them, they refused to honor the offer even though they could bring up the online chat and see that it was offered to me. Very poor customer service!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I uploaded 5 very short videos to shutterfly.com in 2011. I have accessed these videos for my own viewing pleasure for the past 10 years. In 2020, all of a sudden, the videos can not be found anywhere on my account. I have communicated with Shutterfly via their chat to no avail. The latest response (Nov 24, 2020) from shutterfly said "There has been no workaround that has been provided for your issue yet,.. I will continue to keep you updated. Please bare with us while we try to locate your videos." I am heartbroken as these 5 videos happen to be the ONLY videos I have of my daughter's first year of life. Has anyone else had similar misfortune when working with shutterfly? To be honest, I have had many positive experiences dealing with my pictures on shutterfly. Though, I really want to be able to access the 5 videos.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I recently placed an order and fell for the “unlimited free prints” offer. It took me several hours of looking through my camera roll to choose 250 of the shots I wanted to print. I made sure I had $75 worth of ornaments to apply the “free shipping above $75 offer”, and was dismayed when I got to check out and found shipping on “free” items were not included in this promo, so my shipping cost totaled $46!!! I believe that would be much more than I would’ve actually paid for the prints (appx. $22.50 of they were $.09 apiece)!

I tried looking for their prepaid print plan to get around this problem, so I could pay for the prints and get free shipping. However, I could not find any of the prepaid print plans, although I know I’ve seen them as recently as early December 2020. Since there was no option to place the prints order in a “save for later” category, I was pretty sure all my hours of choosing would be wasted, so I decided to proceed with the order. Once customer service chat opened the next morning, I spent 45 minutes in a very unsatisfactory conversation. "No, you cannot separate part of the order. No, you cannot cancel the entire order but save the chosen prints in any way. No, you can’t add a prepaid print plan to this order." In the end, what she did offer was a $10 credit to my account. Buyer beware!

Shutterfly Company Information