2.97/5

151 Shutterfly Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have ordered several things from them and was generally impressed with the quality. Then I ordered some photo books for a class final project. I paid an extra $25 for shipping to ensure they would be here in time for me to turn them in. It had a guaranteed delivery date. I kept checking the order status and it said it hadn't shipped yet. The day before my "guaranteed" delivery date, I called to see what was going on. The representative I got had a rudimentary understanding of English and was clearly reading off a script and didn't actually try to understand my problem. He provided me with a tracking number which was obviously useless if it hadn't shipped yet. I called back and thankfully got a representative who was able to understand me. She assured me they would arrive in time.

They finally shipped out that night, however they hadn't checked in to a UPS store by 7:00 pm the day they were supposed to arrive. I called again. And told them I expected them to refund the shipping. She gave me some spiel about how they would be in that day. I told her they wouldn't because of course it was after business hours (on a Friday no less). After some arguing, to their credit they did refund me shipping. However, she was not even able to tell me what state they were in. I still don't have them. Don't know where they are and now. I'm in a bind because this is a final project. Won't be ordering from them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I, ordered very simple presentation/business cards. Only name, email and phone #. Huge disappointment when received, e-mail letters and phone numbers so tiny that only can read with a magnifier glass. In other words, NO proportion in the layout. Tried to reach customer service on 11/27/2018. Impossible even by phone or chat. Twice after waiting 40 to 45 minutes call was disconnected and was no chat available. After 3 days and 3 attempts the same day (2 of them automatic disconnected) was able to chat. After a detail explanation and picture of the card a representative named Octavia, argue that was my fault and add as a courtesy they will get the cards free, said that are useless and will be shredded.

For my surprise she change the story and email link to return cards in order to get the refund, but that I will need to pay for the return shipping. Decided to stop losing value time with her and complaint to the credit card. Shutterfly claimed that customer satisfaction is a top priority for them. Unbelievable... Are many others companies who do not have an expensive website or advertising but that are more pro customers. WHOEVER WANT TO LOSE MONEY, TIME AND PATIENCE order from SHUTTERFLY.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The company spelled my name wrong on a Xmas card order. I waited too long to speak to someone who I could barely understand. She could not find my order by phone number, email address or street address. Once that was finally taken care of she wanted me to go online and start the order process over. I asked to speak to her supervisor and waited 10 minutes (no exaggeration) and was told the same thing – go online and reorder. When I refused he said that although it’s not “typical” he could do the reorder for me. Shutterfly screws up my order and he’s doing me a favor by taking care of the problem. Terrible service, never again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Every year I order photo books for my 3 grandkids as a gift for Christmas... a year of memories. Three years ago, I received the books with all the pages loose... floating around the Christmas tree. They resent books... same thing. They didn't believe me, so I sent the books to them. 3rd time was a charm... all the pages stayed in the book. As I worked on the year-long phone book project this year, I was almost finished. Yesterday, went into my projects and found the photo book projects gone.

Called customer service. They couldn't find them. Ugh! So, all night last night I went through a year of photos and recreated the books. As I continued to work, I put them in an order cart. 30 minutes ago, I went into my projects and couldn't find the books again. Luckily I had put them in the order cart, edited them and did a rush order. I will hopefully get a good project next week. I love the creative options for the Shutterfly books. But, I am thinking they are failing to upgrade their system to handle the holiday traffic. I do like their product, but I think it's time to find a new service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I verified my Christmas cards before placing my order and all the pictures slots (a total of six picture slots) were filled because it would obviously be nonsense to order a card with no pictures in it. However, when I received my product there were four open slots on the front of the card with no pictures. Basically, just white squares. I'm not sure what exactly happened because I am confident when I reviewed my final product they were all there because I have human eyeballs and wouldn't order an incomplete card to send to my family.

I requested a free reprint because this seems like an issue where the product didn't save or upload correctly. Their customer service rep didn't even read the email I sent because the response basically said Shutterfly was unable to edit projects after they were sent to printing but that is NOT what I requested. I requested a reprint of a completely useless product that I spent over $100 on. They offered me a 50% off a new project and I took it but honestly I'll just never use Shutterfly again. I don't appreciate a completely canned response that displays a total lack of reading my problem/complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Ordered 2 photo calendars in November. When I received them they had year 2018. I called and asked why they weren't 2019. Told there is a box at top to put in yard. Said they would credit me 2 calendars but I had to pay shipping. Went to reorder had a hard time finding this box. When I finally did put 2019. Order kept showing 2018. Called customer service. They said if I hung on they would change year. 30 mins later told it's done. Go ahead and order. Needless to say still says 2018.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I uploaded two photos of owls for my card. Have used them the last five years. The cards arrived without one of the photos, the one in front of the card? Where is quality control? They said I could re-order for half off instead of redoing my card and not charging me. NEVER WILL USE THEM AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I ordered 18 calendars as Holiday Gifts. The calendars arrived quickly, but two pages were cut wrong. The photo was not centered on the page - but shifted to the right, cutting off the edge of the photo, and excess space on the left side. Satisfaction is guaranteed on their website, but all I was offered was 50% my next order. I just spent over $200 with you, and you couldn't get it right, what makes me think you'll get it right the next time? Do not waste your time on their website, or expect anything close to customer satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I spent hours designing a calendar for 2019. I wanted to put photos on birthdays and anniversaries on the bottom half of the calendar on the actual day. I ordered three times with a total of 5 hours on the phone with customer service to have this issue remain unresolved. In the end the printing manufacturer said it was the style of calendar I chose and there was a glitch in the system where the photos in the date boxes were light like a watermark. When I previewed my calendar the photos did not show up light. The representative told me to choose a different style, which meant start from scratch. She couldn't guarantee that a different style wouldn't do the same thing nor does it indicate where a style is unable to do this or there is glitch in the system.

When I designed and previewed my calendar this issue did not arise. So how am I to know if it won't happen again? While I was designing my calendar I got kicked out multiple times, I had photos that would not upload, and many times I had issues with the actual design area. Overall, I have shopped with Shutterfly for years and as the years have passed the quality of the website has greatly decreased. The quality of the products has decreased. The technical issues as greatly increased. The customer service representatives were all very kind and helpful and did refund me, but the overall site has become a disgrace and more difficult to design items.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I just received 80 4x6 prints and one 10x16 print that were so awful I had to throw everything away. The 10x16 print of a ballerina had her feet cut off, which is not what I submitted. Everything was fuzzy, the quality was awful. The 4 x 6 prints were all blurry and people’s heads were cut off, or group shots had people cut in half... also, not what I submitted. I used to have a dozen calendars made every year for my family but I will look elsewhere for this large project as I don’t trust Shutterfly with my business anymore. That my order even was shipped is astonishing!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My daughter is graduating college in December and wanted to create announcements with Shutterfly. The minute I tried to design something using their templates and program I realized that I should have stopped there. Very few capabilities to edit or change images or move copy around. Frustrating! I use design software all the time and never have to recreate and save every edit I make to a new named file. When designing it's important to be able to edit and save on the same file. If I changed something on the card I had to save a new version every time with a new name to keep all the files straight. This may work for some but not for me. I want to be able to open and save edits on the same file and create a new file only if I choose. (I really wanted to get them right and not have any issues.)

Immediately after hitting order for the first set of cards my daughter realized we picked the wrong file and needed to stop the order. I couldn't find a number to call them but did find a contact us button. I sent a note stating we had just placed an order and wanted to stop the order asap. Did not hear back until next day on which they said the order had already been done and was getting ready to ship. They told me to send them back and go ahead and order the ones I wanted. Ordered the correct ones and both boxes showed up 5 days later same day.

With that being said both orders arrived and neither of them was correct. The second ones we ordered were not glossy as represented on the website. Turns out that very few of their cards are glossy. So when they arrived the ones we wanted were matte and the pictures did not stand out the way we had hoped. To top it off the card template wording "2018" across the bottom in Gold Foil design was cut off on both ends across the bottom... A design flaw on their part and apparently is how the design is created and can not be changed. Disappointing and not professional~ These guys need to get it together. The customer service is overseas. No one really know what's going on. I called and asked. Spoke with a woman about how to return the cards which we were dissatisfied with. I was told "you get what you get". "Reorder a different design if you like and they are not available in glossy."

Ok... so can I get a refund for the ones I am to return since they are not up to par? Can I get a RMA number? How do you want me to ship back? My answer: "we will give you 50% refund and you can ship back any way you want and call us back after you send them and give us a number off your receipt so we can track". Really what number?... "Oh, find a tracking number depending on how you want to ship and after you have shipped contact us again with a tracking number we will keep an eye out." You would think they could work out a better return policy. I have yet to work with such a non user friendly program and unsatisfactory customer service plan. Will not use them again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I am using Shutterfly mobile app for almost 2 years now. First I was very happy. Product I created arrived printed good, mobile app was working good, but since May 2018 it’s just started became worse and worse every month! I had to contact customer support for every photo book I created, because they arrived with print errors! Not just photo books, iPhone case also arrived not as I expected. More, they have problems with coupons. You think you will have free shipping, but it just reduce the price for your shipping and doesn’t give you free. The cart money count for your purchase is also wrong. So, be careful using this app, most likely you will be disappointed after checkout.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I consider myself a fairly tech-savvy person. I've worked professionally with photo editing for over 5 years now. When I recently got married and made an album for myself using another website, I had no problems...love the book. So, when I received a Shutterfly coupon with a recent purchase, I figured all the sites were probably the same for the most part and I'd go ahead and make one for my mother-in-law. I have been trying to get the cover photo of my Shutterfly book to work for the past 20 minutes and I still can't figure it out. I am beyond frustrated. It should NOT be this challenging! I expected SO much more from a company that has been around for as long as it has. I'm SO unhappy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My how I wish I would have checked the reviews for Shutterfly before I spent a tremendous amount of time on their website building a photo book for my granddaughter's 10th birthday. I placed my order and paid for "Express Delivery" (what a joke!). It was noted that "Express Delivery" was "guaranteed" for the a specific date. I felt comfortable with this, thinking if they are "guaranteeing" the delivery date, they must mean it. After 4 days of no notice of shipping, I called CS and was told my project would be completed that day and shipped overnight. Still no notification this morning (day of "guaranteed" delivery).

The status on the website still shows "in production" and my "guaranteed" delivery date has disappeared. There is now no delivery date shown. Called CS again this morning and all they can say is it MIGHT be here Monday, two days after my granddaughter's birthday. I will NEVER use Shutterfly again. Don't advertise "guaranteed" delivery if you can't back it up. After reading other reviews, I'm now also concerned about the product quality.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have used Shutterfly for personal items and have had success. However, I was running the yearbook for our school this year. The yearbooks came with every page having images cut off. When we previewed the yearbook through their program, everything looked fine. Also, when a picture was too close to the edge while we were creating the yearbook, the online system told us so we changed it. According to their system, none of our pictures were too close to the edge. I have not included the defective yearbook pages with pictures for the privacy of the students but words were cut off in every yearbook (see picture).

When I contacted Shutterfly, they initially said that they would refund the first batch of 8 but refused to refund the rest. They then told me to reorder the other 8 but to change all the pictures so they were further from the edge. I spent 4 hours redoing the yearbook, However, distribution of the yearbook is going to be delayed by 2 weeks AND only 10 people will get an acceptable yearbook. Do NOT use Shutterfly, consider using Presto or other online yearbook companies. I wish we had!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Over and over again products are received late or the order is wrong. Then they refuse to correct their mistake. Orders are NEVER on time. I just paid extra for expedited shipping. My order is now TWO DAYS late and I won’t have the product in time for my special event. Avoid them if you want your pictures or special gift to arrive on time

Original review: July 29, 2018

This is the 2nd time I’ve ordered an important gift from Shutterfly, only to find out that it wasn’t arriving on the scheduled time. This particular order, I even paid $29.99 So that it would be guaranteed to be delivered on time. It’s being delivered four days late, which means that we will be on our 10 year anniversary trip and I have no gift to give. Upon calling customer service to find out why it did not arrive as paid for and scheduled, they simply refunded the shipping and offered no other solution. I will not be counting on Shutterfly to deliver production on time moving forward. This is ridiculous and has literally ruined two family events, now.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I placed an order for a 54 page photo book and 2 day shipping on July 7th with a promised delivery date of July 13th. The guaranteed date was provided by Shutterfly. No further communication from Shutterfly happened after I got my confirmation email with guaranteed date of delivery. I had to call to find out about my photo book.

On the 14th I called because there was no book delivered yesterday plus the site still showed in production! Melissa from customer service only offered me a refund of my shipping fees once I told her “sometime in the late week of delivery” would not work for me. Then I had to wait for a supervisor, Miranda, to get a refund of the entire purchase with an apology for this happening. Why in the world can an associate customer service representative not give a refund when the product is not delivered as promised by their Company??? Makes no sense to me.

This is a gift as I told Melissa and Miranda. Regardless one should have thought of a possible solution to get me my item ASAP. Overnighting at my cost, overnighting at their cost, ability to rush it on Monday to me and I am sure there are other solutions companywide. Instead Miranda refunded me, lost a customer and left bad feelings about a company because I still need to get the product completed elsewhere at a larger expense because of a rush job. All said Shutterfly didn’t deliver on its promise and has terrible customer service.

Original review: July 4, 2018

These guys are really bad. Gave them a big order for prints and received a really blurry useless product. Some have been printed elsewhere without a problem so I know it's them. They are now trying hard to weasel out of a refund. Stay away!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I spent days and many hours constructing a photo book on Shutterfly for Father's Day. MANY hours. I used their Father's Day promotion and made sure that the book was going to be delivered by Father's Day when I placed my order. I checked on my order throughout the process and - sure enough - the day before Father's Day, my order will NOT be delivered on time. Considering their products are for special occasions and marketed as such, it seems pretty obvious that an on time delivery is a huge part of their responsibility. This item was to be a focal point of an extended family celebration that will now not happen. If the item was not promised to be delivered on time, I would have spent the ridiculous price of expedited shipping. Very disappointed here after a lot of hard work and great financial expense. Do NOT trust this company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am trying to spread the warning of a problem I encountered that could affect everyone using this service. My images were ported over from another service I used for years that sold out to Shutterfly. Once they got my images, I can no longer download all of them. You can download one at a time, or you can struggle through a email bulk of 500 at a time. That sounds ok, but it doesn't track which and is complicated and slow to use. I have over 5000 images there and after talking to customer support - I am just out of luck with no way to download my images easily. I am very upset and hope that everyone reads this warning and chooses other options for their image products and management.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Beware of the discount carrot. - Sounded great. Three free items! So you spend the next hour building designs and go to checkout, enter the code and the items are free, but the shipping cost is about what you would have normally paid with free shipping. What a lousy rip!

Original review: May 21, 2018

My 15 year old daughter place an order for Mother's Day. Her book was shipped on the 8th of the month. It said we would receive it by the 15th. It is now the 21st. I call to get an update and they will give me the information. I am her father and all the person who paid for the book. I get privacy but she is a minor and I will never use them again and still cannot find the book. The tracking has it at the local Post Office but still does not have it as shipped.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I just was informed that a gift card can't be used if there is a discount or a "promotion" on the item. That is so wrong! People pay cash for the gift cards so really it's already paid for but can only be used on full prices! This is ridiculous and I won't ever purchase off Shutterfly again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I just spent over $70 for prints and having them delivered to my house, they all look horrible. I can’t use any of them. They’re fuzzy and bit-mat which is extremely upsetting considering I got them from the devices that actually took the photos. There’s absolutely no reason for the extremely low quality photos I revived. I am very upset. Will never use this company again. I am out $70 and I’m going to have to reprint all these photos from a different company. Do not waste your time and money.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had horrible experience with them. Ordered prints to get promotional luggage tag. Terrible pictures came without tag. When contacted, was told that tag can be shipped separately only with another crazy shipping fee.

Original review: April 5, 2018

BEWARE! I used Shutterfly to create a photo book of my recent trip. I was supposed to receive the book yesterday. I paid the cost of the book and the price for express shipping. The photobook didn't come plus I didn't get notified of any delays in production etc. beforehand. I emailed Shutterfly and got an email back saying not only did the book not ship out on time, the company didn't even make it yet. The only reason I was able to find out about my order was because I reached out to Shutterfly since they didn't tell me until after the fact. And now they are claiming I canceled the order which I did not do. DO NOT USE SHUTTERFLY. The company does nothing to make a wrong on their part a right.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Very serious complaint against Shutterfly, Inc.! I have not had such a good experience playing the "Monopoly" game that is being promoted by Pavilions, Vons and their other involved grocery stores due to several reasons. On one of my tickets it says that I won a free Shutterfly reusable shopping bag with the code of: ** on it and then Shutterfly, Inc. has made my life more difficult and time consuming by asking me to go online through their shutterfly.com/monopoly URL link in order to supposedly claim this bogus B.S. not so free prize which is definitely not even free even though they falsely claim that it is!

Please note: Back on Wednesday, March 14, 2018, I did send this disgusting company a letter of very serious complaint regarding these issues and unfortunately, this rich, wealthy, cheap, nasty and selfish company named "Shutterfly, Inc. expects me to pay for their taxes, shipping and handling just to claim a cheap reusable shopping bag that is only worth $1.00 which is absolutely disgusting and ridiculous to say the very least! If Shutterfly, Inc. is really giving away a prize then they should be taking care of all these bogus expenses, not the customer! Obviously! In addition: I do not understand why they cannot just have the winning customer claim the prize at a Vons, Pavilions and/or other related store rather than spending and wasting (15) to (30) minutes or longer by going on to Shutterfly, Inc.’s website just to claim and pay for a cheap reusable bag is beyond me?

In addition: In one of their latest emails that they had sent out to me, they were even offering me a free magnet and other items to go with it, but then again, nothing is free through this stupid and dumb, cheap Shutterfly, Inc. company! They want me to pay for the same, exact shipping, handling and tax expenses for those other items as well in which I had just mentioned above which to me is nothing, but a scam! Shutterfly, Inc. should be sending me out way better items for free at their own expense rather than just a cheap magnet and/or $1.00 reusable shopping bag to be quite honest with you! Shutterfly, Inc. is a billion dollar company and can afford to do much better than that! Obviously! I have already sent out my letters of extreme complaint and/or disgust to all of their corporate executives, however, they are unwilling to send me out even the cheap reusable bag at their own expense! LOL. What a joke!

Please note: It would cost me more to receive this reusable bag through Shutterfly, Inc. than to just go ahead and buy one at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Ralph's, etc. Get real? Please note: I have a very low tolerance for abusive corporatists and/or cheap, nor selfish people, period! No exceptions! I am definitely not recommending Shutterfly, Inc. to anybody for any reason and Safeway who owns Vons, Pavilions and other related stores should drop Shutterfly, Inc. from their Monopoly game immediately based on my legitimate reasons mentioned. I am now publishing negative reviews about this disgusting and horrific experience on to major social media websites! Thank you.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I believe in second chances so I have placed 2 separate orders with Shutterfly. Both experiences were bad. The first time took 3 months to get my order. The second time I ordered 4 photo books and they messed up the pictures and refused to fix and would only refund if I pay shipping back. So their mistake is now costing me money. Never again. Not one apology, nothing. If I could give no star I would.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I ordered a customized case for my Galaxy Note phone. I carefully chose the one That matched my phone model but when it arrived, it was too small. I reviewed the return policy and it stated if the order was the company's error, full refund, customer error 50% fund. Sent an email to customer service, advised them of the problem with item received, referenced the return policy and I asked them to confirm if the choice I made for my Galaxy Note 4 was the correct choice. If so, they made an error as it is too small, if not it was my error and I am entitled to a refund of 50% of the cost. The rep answered that he cannot cancel an order in progress and gave me a 50% off my next order! What!?? I responded. Said he misunderstood and that is the last I heard from them and I am out 35 plus shipping.

Shutterfly Company Information