3.8/5 (670 ratings)

About Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I am not the one to post bad reviews ever, however this one was pretty heartbreaking and I want to help others by sharing this. My grandmother went into the hospital with only 30% of her heart working near Christmas. I ordered from Shutterfly like I always do. This time I ordered a cross with my grandmother's picture with us on there. No warnings showed up so I ordered it. It came in very blurry but I did not have time to contact Shutterfly and get a new one before Christmas, so I gave the blurry one to my dad. He cried and I promised I would get him a new one.

I called them the next day, a wonderful woman said that even she had issues with it when she ordered one herself and helped me figure it out. She said that I could contact them again before ordering to ensure the second one would be right which the person said it was perfect. I saved the chat of the person who helped me. It came in blurrier than the first one. I just called for help again when the rep and her manager refused to help me because I accidentally entered in a different email address (same name) on the order than the one on the account. I was heartbroken that after 10 years of many orders, they would not help me with something that means so much to me and my family. I am now on the search for a new company for my future orders. Hope this helps.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I ordered two items on December 1st 2019. I messed up one order and cancelled it and weeks went by and I checked status and other item was not shipped yet. I called and they told me so sorry and they would ship it and nothing ever came so I finally DECIDED TO CANCEL THAT AS WELL.. THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD REFUND ME AND JUST TO KEEP THE PILLOW IF IT DOES ARRIVE FOR FREE.. So it finally did after many weeks but today my bank notified me that they charged my card for that order! Wtf.... I cancelled and still got charged.. Nobody in customer service can ever get the info correct.. They need reported to BBB. Such rip offs..

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Spent several hours creating a calendar online through Shutterfly to give to our 87 year old grandmother for Christmas. The order was placed on December 5th would and estimated delivery date of December 11th. Today is January 12th and it’s yet to arrive!!!! Clearly I was disappointed as it was a Christmas present and I had to apologize to our grandmother and explain to her what had happened. After several emails with Shutterly before Christmas they had said they’d send out a new one yet refused to reimburse me the money. As I stated it’s over a month later and still no calendar. Thoroughly upset with this company especially customer service and will never buy from them again. So many good companies that produce similar items with great customer service, no need to waste time and money with this one.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Shame on Shutterfly's tricky language! Blame the customer. I received a 11 x 14 framed photo as a gift. Excited, I pulled the black framed photo out of the box, and was stunned at the fuzzy, low grade image, the terribly second-rate white matting, and the cheap black frame that shutterfly mailed out. When calling the contact number and speaking with two representatives, I was told basically "Too bad." Their promise "We want you to love the shutterfly." -- apparently not!...

This company does not use quality control for photos to assist customers to ensure that the best product possible is available to customers. Instead of working with the client to ensure quality, "They just accept whatever the photo is - without any cleanup of the image, nor do they make recommendations on best sizes for best results, or help the customer in any manner," they just take the photo and funds (which the price is extremely high - compared to other companies that offer this same service), with quality way beyond what shutterfly does). As the gift receiver, I am appalled that this company does not back up their product. My instructions were to just contact the gift giver. I do not want the gift giver to be embarrassed by their choice to use this inferior company. Plus, we live in different states, so I cannot just drive over and give the picture to the individual.

Thus, the shutterfly guarantee as below is worthless - and they refused to follow their own guarantee: the shutterfly guarantee "We're not happy unless you're happy. It's that simple. We get how important your memories are to you. And, we'll securely store all those photos at the same resolution at which you uploaded them. We also promise we'll never delete them (not even the embarrassing ones). " Oh, shame on shutterfly's tricky language! - that's right - put it back on the customer!!! Without quality control assistance to customers, this company cannot produce the best quality product? Recommendation: use quality control to assist customers for quality product!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I spent over $700 on photo books. They were awful! Captions and embellishments/stickers cut off the sides of the pages, photos missing, embellishments missing, entire pages missing, photos printed too dark, backgrounds so dark you can’t make out the print design or even the color... wasted at least an hour trying to get help with customer service online chat. I asked them to get a customer service rep to call me and they said they couldn’t. I called customer service and waited an hour on hold and got no resolution. I emailed and asked the guy that replied to call me. He wanted to know what the problem was and I told him it would take hours to explain all the problems and we would have to go through them page by page and so he would have to call me back on my day off.

We arranged for a time For him to call me back and he never did. I called back again and waited another half hour on hold. I spent another 20 minutes explaining the situation and all I have been through already. The guy I spoke to said he was going to escalate it to someone with a higher position. He asked me to hold and the call got dropped. He never called me back. I tried calling him back. They said he was unavailable and I left a message for him to return my call. Haven’t heard from anyone. This is the worst customer service I have ever received!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I ordered two 8x10 prints in mid-December as Christmas gifts. They arrived damaged and bent due to a flimsy shipping envelope. My options to contact Shutterfly were limited to calling only—the chat function never worked after multiple attempts at different times and days, and the only email I found bounced back with a no-reply response. I spoke to someone in customer service (clearly outsourced to another country), and they reprinted and resent the photos at no charge. The same issue occurred: damaged photos in a flimsy envelope. Each time, I called the customer service number and was promised the same thing, but only after waiting 20–30 minutes on hold. It is now January 7th, about a month later, and the third shipment has arrived damaged, same as both times before.

I was even promised better shipping materials, but it’s exactly the same as before. Instead of wasting more of my time on hold for a set of photos that may never arrive unbent, I’ll just spend my money elsewhere in the hopes for a Christmas gift that arrives before February. Shutterfly clearly has no intention of ensuring customer satisfaction as they make it time-consuming and painful to contact them, even to resolve a simple issue, and then don’t bother to follow through competently. Which is too bad because the print quality is lovely.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I ordered a blanket for my wife from Shutterfly on 12/18/2019. I decided to do to this because my sons girlfriend ordered one earlier and it looked awesome. I paid for expedited delivery for a guaranteed arrival of 1/3/2020. I called them on 1/3/2020 because I received an email at 2:31PM stating my recent order for the Sherpa blanket is taking longer to create than expected. "Though this was unexpected we wanted to let you know right away. As soon as your order is shipped we will let you know." No real reason why and no timeline for a delivery. They tell me that I should have the blanket no later than 1/7/2020.

Their website as of 1/6/2020 still shows my blanket as being created and not shipped. They told me the blanket was done and just waiting to get shipped. I asked them to do an overnight expedite and I was told they did not have the authority to do this. When I stated they should be better at customer service than an email at the ninth hour on my guaranteed delivery date is not good customer service at all. I also asked about what they were going to do for me with their 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. All they would do is give me my shipping costs back. I told them that is not enough as they already missed a guaranteed delivery date. At this point we will see if my blanket arrives on 1/7. I really don't think it will since they don't know how to update their website at all. Because of how shoddy their customer service was I will never use this company again. I should have stuck with Vistaprint.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I wanted to gift a Shutterfly photo book for a friend, and when I received it, 3 weeks later, I could not have been more disappointed. The photo book itself was damaged, several of the pictures had our heads cut off, some pictures were repeated, and some that I had selected weren’t even in the book. I waited 45 minutes to talk to customer service and it was a joke. They would not refund, and they said they’d only remake it if I paid for shipping. I will never use Shutterfly again. Highly disappointed. Also, this is the first review I’ve ever written in my life. Just thought it was worth sharing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Shutterfly offers prepaid prints options so that you can purchase a larger quantity at a discounted rate and use them whenever you need to. I bought the 600 prints option wherein the prints are 9 cents each. However, when I ordered 250 prints yesterday, the shipping charges are $25!! So, it costs 10 cents PER PRINT to ship them. And if they happen to be offering free shipping on orders of a certain amount or more, prepaid plans are shown as $0 so they don't qualify. I'll be using up my remaining 350 prints, and never using Shutterfly for prints again. They absolutely overcharge for shipping - this is where they make all of their profit!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

The prints were not of the highest quality. The 8x10 photos were blurry. These photos were taken by a professional photographer for which we paid a premium. The other photos were also cropped at strange angles suggesting that this is automated and the automated service is terrible at best.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

They shipped it in an unsealed box so it was wet and it was mounted crooked and the quality of the image is poor anyway. And I know the image was a large enough file that it should have looked better. No way to contact them about it. The chat just says busy try again later. Also can't believe they were going to charge $20+ for shipping.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I have used Shutterfly for a number of years to make my annual photo album which I share with my family. In the past I have been quite satisfied with the finished product. This year, however, I was shocked by the album that has printed for my brother. I contained 19 pages of photographs documenting the pregnancy of a complete stranger. Somehow Shutterfly has sharing a customer's very personal photos and memories with complete strangers. This breach in privacy, security, and trust is inexcusable. When I called customer service they were completely unphased by their mistake, just a set of recited generic script lines totally out of line with the extent and depth of their error.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I paid nearly $100 in extra shipping fees to ensure 9 calendars arrived by Christmas. These are my main gifts to family. Although the Shutterfly account says they were delivered, this is wrong. UPS shows they will arrive Dec. 30, after my relatives from Hong Kong have gone home. Meanwhile, one calendar is arriving Dec. 26 to the same state (different address). Clearly, they could have gotten them all delivered on time but must not have paid the shipping fees to make that happen. Although it doesn’t make up for me not having the gifts for Christmas, I asked for a full refund on shipping. No answer. I will keep trying and will also ask that they send one calendar directly to my Hong Kong family. Let’s see if they at least make good on that.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

The first time I ordered from Shutterfly was for a puzzle. We are gifting our family on a trip to Europe for their Christmas present this year. We created an image with all of the trip details and ordered the puzzle so that we could give each family member a few pieces and then have them assemble the puzzle and learn about the trip together. I ordered the puzzle in November and the normal shipping method indicated a delivery by Dec 18th. It would be here in plenty of time before Dec 25th. I tracked the package until on Dec 19th the info said it was delivered to our local Post Office. I waited a few days and called Shutterfly who regurgitated the same tracking info but refunded my shipping costs because it was late.

A few days after that I went to the Post Office and learned that mine was one of many, many packages shipped by UPS Mail Innovations that was MIA. I was told that every UPS Mail Innovations palette that was received started Dec 6 came with a manifest sheet that had many items missing on the palette. They told me that UPS Mail Innovations got bogged down which caused packages to sit in warehouses but that these same packages were represented on the palette manifests resulting in Customers like us to believe our packages were heading our way. Two other family members mentioned having the same exact experience and when they checked their packages were also being shipped by UPS Mail Innovations.

I called Shutterfly with this information. They selected UPS Mail Innovations resulting in my lost package so I wanted to make them aware. I asked for a refund given that at this point there is no way the puzzle would make it to my home by Dec 25th. The customer service rep kept insisting that there was still time for me to get it but then he alternately argued that the post office had the right to take up to 7 days after they receive it from Mail Innovations to deliver it to me.

I reminded him that the package was supposed to be delivered to my house by Dec 18th and again told him that the tracking info for my package was bogus. He eventually agreed to the refund but the money still hasn't shown up on my credit card. And he kept making it be my fault because according to him I could have paid for more expensive shipping options. If I had any idea that Shutterfly used a problem delivering company I would have. But Shutterfly shouldn't use a company who provides fake tracking information. The moral of the story is not to order from Shutterfly unless they arrange for more responsible shipping methods. They are in the business of shipping memorabilia. In my case, we were left scrambling for a solution on Christmas Eve.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

So I made an order for a fleece blanket and rushed it. They said it will arrive on the 22nd. It did not arrive so I contacted them again and they said that it would arrive on the 23rd. To no avail nothing. I contacted UPS and they said it was shipped but they have no idea where it is now. I contacted Shutterfly again the agent assured me and said it would arrive and has shipped already and would arrive on dec, 24th. I called again and they said they it was never shipped and I will be notified when it was shipped.

1. Ups can't find my order.
2. Shutterfly agent lied and said item shipped and I would receive it on the 24th (lied to me).

3. Offered a refund for shipping and half of my order but I'll have to wait 2 weeks from the day my order is shipped, which they still have not informed me when.

I understand it's the holidays. What I don't understand is why they lied to me and why Ups can't find it but wait, when I called again it's FedEx who's shipping my item. So am I really getting my order or am I not. Shutterfly is utterly ** and a bunch of liars.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I purchased a blanket from them about 2 weeks ago, they said on the 18th it was shipped, there a tracking number but I couldn't find it. Called customer service for them to tell me that a pic didn't come out right so they had to fix it and it would ship on the 23rd so I can have it Christmas Eve. Well still nothing. I am new to this company and I will not return back.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I am a long time customer of Tiny Prints. I orderd my cards and paid extra money for them to arrive on 12/19/19. Here it is 12/22/19 and I don't have my cards. You call customer service and are on hold for >30 minutes and then they can't help you. They just keep saying "Sorrry for the inconvenience". They have not refunded my money for the order. Extremely unhappy with their service!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

My wife and I have used Shutterfly on many occasions to make our Christmas cards. They have a lot of designs which are nice. Last year (2018) our cards took over 3 weeks to be delivered to us so we got them less than 1 week before Christmas. We got our money back for that because they were supposed to have been delivered by the second week of December. This year, we ordered on 11/29 and delivery was supposed to be by 12/12 at the latest. Here it is 12/22 and our cards still have not arrived. Again, we got our money back, but that's not the point.

The point is, we put in the effort to search for cards, write out what we wanted, expected to have cards we were happy with to send to friends and family and we got nothing. Now we have to scramble to put something together that will ultimately be subpar. This is the last time though, we will never use Shutterfly again because it is apparent they just don't care. We are just a drop in the bucket so they won't feel it, but I would strongly recommend anyone depending on them for Christmas cards to possibly go somewhere else that actually follows through with their product when you order it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I see a lot of negative reviews on Shutterfly today that indicates they are overcome with orders this year and I’m sure they are just as devastated as we are, That being said, I want you to know how amazing they have been to me. This was my first time to use Shutterfly. I designed a photo album of my pictures from the Vietnam War for one of my four sons. The photo assistant helped me create an amazing album and my son loves it! I started on it with plenty of lead time and received it early even though the first album had to be changed. They ended up sending me four copies for the cost of one because they knew I had four sons! Today I gave them to my sons and they were thrilled! Thank you Shutterfly. Next I’m doing an album of my entire family and can’t wait to get started.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I've been shopping on Shutterfly since I bought my first dell computer about 15 years ago. I've been uploading my photos since then whenever I had a project in mind, which were mostly gifts, and even some items for myself. I did have a little worry about the future availability of my photos, so I did keep my own copies as well. But through the years I've discovered that all my photos are still there, intact. I also discovered that I could share albums of childhood photos with my 23 cousins, all they had to do was create an account and share the album I created as a shared album. They started uploading their own photos and like magic, now we have a collection of old photos from about 20 people all on Shutterfly.

Any of us can make photo books, pillows, puzzles, blankets, mugs, or any other photo gift from any of the photos. I think this is one of the most desirable features of the website, although it was almost by accident that I discovered it. So needless to say, I've been very happy year to year, adding photos, making holiday and birthday gifts, all of which turned out to be excellent quality. But what really turned me into a devoted future customer was an issue I had this holiday season. 2 of my 20 gifts went to the party's old address. Now I wasn't sure what happened, I could have sworn I'd changed the addresses, but with so many gifts I was working on, I couldn't be sure. I called Shutterfly to see what could be done, and they offered to remake and send the new items for free.

Unfortunately they would arrive after the holidays, but I didn't care, I was so happy to have them remade. Then today I get 2 emails saying they will arrive before Christmas! I am so pleased with this super service. I know the rep had to jump through some hoops to make that happen, and he did it after my phone call to him. In my opinion it was above and beyond. I am so grateful because A I didn't have to get aggravated and B it turned out a perfect solution!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I am so upset with this company, I ordered a blanket over 2 weeks ago was supposed to receive by yesterday to find out they ran out of fabric and are waiting on it to arrive, In the meantime no one was notified of this situation and now Christmas is just 4 days away and no gift to give to my family. As a business owner a email should have gone out to all its customers waiting and give them the option on what to do. I tried calling them and was on hold for 40 minutes probably because so many customers are calling and are as furious and upset as I am. Be careful ordering from them when you need it by a certain date. You might be very disappointed. Won't order again from them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I ordered 50 cards on Nov. 26 that were supposed to be in Molokai, Hawaii between Dec. 5-9. When they didn't come, I reordered on Dec 11 as RUSH and they were supposed to be here by Dec. 19. It's Dec. 20 and neither order is here. I called UPS and they have one updated scan that shows an order has reached Oahu, Hawaii but they do not work on Sat or Sun (Dec 21-22) so the earliest I might get the cards on my island is some time Dec. 23!! There is no way any of these cards will reach friends or families until after Christmas which embarrasses and infuriates me and defeats the whole purpose of the order. Shutterfly offered a 25% refund and said "sorry." Sorry doesn't help. Never again, Shutterfly: you have ruined this Christmas for me!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

This is the second major issue I've had with Shutterfly in the last year. Their customer service is literally no help. They have a 100% happiness guarantee but when they fail to deliver something (I had scheduled GUARANTEED DELIVERY BY DECEMBER 21 and paid for expedited shipping), and I get a notification that I'm not getting it for a full week later, I spent two hours trying to get a resolution and they offered me nothing. This company is the WORST to deal with, the worst. Their products are ok but are not special and if you have ANY ISSUES AT ALL, you are screwed, because they won't help you and they don't care about keeping their guarantees at all.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Ordered a custom puzzle on 12/14/2019 and paid extra for guaranteed delivery on 12/19/2019. As of 12/19/2019, the item has not only not shipped, it also hasn’t begun production. I contacted customer service via chat and was put in a queue for over 15 minutes just to reach an agent; then was on the chat for over an hour (yes, truly over 1 hour) to only get an answer that they are really busy and it “should” arrive before Christmas but they can’t guarantee it.

Bottom line is they proactively should have notified me when they knew the item would be late. I at least might have had time to order it somewhere else so it would arrive in time. I understand things happen but the customer service or lack there of magnifies an already disappointing situation. I will not use Shutterfly again. There are too many other options out there.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My story is the same as many on here. I ordered Christmas cards and paid for expedited shipping and they were promised to be delivered on 12/18. I noticed they had not printed or shipped on Monday and contacted customer service who told me to wait. I continued to contact through the day yesterday and kept hearing "they'll arrive today, please keep waiting." Unfortunately, I also received confirmation that they had not shipped, so receiving them seemed impossible. Finally, last night one of the reps was able to speak to his manager and they found out that the cards had not printed, had not been shipped, and the earliest they could get them to me was December 27th. They are CHRISTMAS cards. The guy said I could either get them the 27th or cancel. I cancelled. So, like other families, this is the first time in ten years our family has NOT had a Christmas card to send out. No apology! No sorry! No "we'll make this right."

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. On top of that, this may be more troubling, I notice on Social Media and this site someone personally responds to each complaint and says they'll work with you to find a solution. I received this response when I publicly tweeted them and posted on Facebook. Guess what? I emailed that email address- NO RESPONSE. I sent a DM on Twitter as instructed NO RESPONSE. So, they're trying to show outwardly that they are taking your complaint seriously and in actuality doing NOTHING. Every year we spend 100's of dollars on photo books, calendars, ornaments, and holiday cards from Shutterfly. Sadly, no more. I'm done. Peace out Shutterfly, you have royally screwed up.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Very disappointed. Placed an order two weeks ago and my customized blanket hasn’t even shipped and it was suppose to be here today the 18th. I contacted customer service and all they can do is give me a credit towards another order. I want my money back. What makes you think I want to reorder something else? Especially after this happening. It was suppose to be a Christmas gift. I would understand two days or even three days late but it hasn’t even shipped yet. Ridiculous!!!! And I can’t even call and speak to someone. Only by email. They answer me and all they can say is that sorry the printing department has a delay.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Ordered 3 identical photobooks for the holidays. Original shipping date was 12/12, which was great because I was bringing them to Florida for the holidays as gifts. Their website, their customer service number AND their email/text system was giving me three different stories. Finally found out that NONE of the order would be received before when I needed it. For some reason, they broke up the original order and still hadn't processed one of the books. The other 2 were in shipping limbo somewhere and did not go out at the time that they said they did. On the phone with customer service over an hour after their online chat system took forever. Had to escalate to a supervisor and was told nothing could be done. Managed a credit, but have no gifts to give for the holidays. Bad experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

They sent me a damaged photo book and when I called to correct the problem the representative, Rasheed could not have been ruder. He kept hanging up on me, was laughing when I called back and continued telling me I was going to have to pay more money to get the problem resolved. I have been on the phone with them now 2 hours 50 minutes and I am still on hold.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

To say I'm disappointed in my Shutterfly xmas cards would be the understatement of the century. We thought it would be a cute idea to include a small wedding announcement/invite with our xmas cards this year. The wedding announcements had a gold 'theme' to them, so I wanted there to be some gold foil on our xmas cards. I went to shutterfly, sorted by 'gold' and found a design I liked. Of course I thought the cost per card was a bit pricey, but figured that had to be because of the gold foil. So I proceeded to check out and made payment. AFTER payment I was given an estimated arrival date of THIRTEEN days out!! What the heck!?

I've ordered 100s of items to be engraved before and had a sooner arrival date than 75 measly cards. Also, why not tell me this BEFORE I pay for the dang things? To their credit, the cards did arrive sooner than initially estimated (but it still took a week, which is laughable in the era of Amazon Prime). Well, imagine my complete and utter shock and anger when I opened up the package to find that the 'gold' part of the card is simply a printed light yellow. I could have freaking designed and printed these off myself for pennies to the dollar what I spent on these cards! What a rip off. Never, EVER again. Not only are my xmas cards ruined, but now they've ruined our wedding announcements too.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Shutterfly lost my order of Christmas cards. Then made me pay an extra $20 to get them delivered 3 weeks late. I've been a customer of theirs for 18 years, but this is ridiculous. For how much money they are making this time of year, to have me pay $20 to fix their mistake. AND my Christmas cards are going to be late. Super unhappy. I spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service and this was the best they could do. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Shutterfly Company Information