Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.38/5

Shutterfly Reviews

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Absolutely appalling customer service! I placed an order Dec 7th. I have been calling for two days but don’t have 40 mins to sit on hold until today. I also sent an email two days ago and still haven’t received a response. I finally speak to someone today and I get, "Sorry the item is on back order and we’ll refund your expedited shipping charge that you paid to have it arrive by yesterday!" That’s very big of you considering my item never arrived and still hasn’t even been processed! SERIOUSLY. I now have no gift for someone on Christmas morning and I had to make the call myself and sit on hold for 40 mins because you can’t be bothered to reach out to me and tell me that my item won’t be here before Christmas like you guaranteed me it would!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I can't begin to explain the frustration I've experienced with receiving a poor quality product, then having to spend 5+ hours of my time on the phone trying to rectify it. With no one as having their first language as English, having to phonetically spell everything out, promising that my order will be delivered on a certain day, saying that they can change shipping address to then finding out the next day it can't. Being guaranteed that it would be here on the 19th but now its the 24th and all ordering this on the 8th which was plenty of time to have it by Christmas Day to propose to my girlfriend. Then only offering 50% off my order.

Sorry, I will not be recommending Shutterfly!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

“Customer Service is the worst. I realize that this is a very busy time of year however if you try to call for assistance, you are put on hold for a ridiculous amount of time and if you send your question via email as they keep suggesting you do, they don’t even respond correctly to your question.”

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have been a customer for a few years and I have several family members that are customers. I will never order anything else from them again and I will my family and close friends stop ordering as well. I placed an order over 3 weeks ago and was guaranteed to have it by a certain date. I had to call customer service several times about this order. You always have to wait on hold forever just to keep getting transferred. I am completely over this company. I will take my money and my business elsewhere. Thank you for messing up my Christmas order.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I just finished designing 4 coffee mugs at 5:30 pm ET. The website said if my order was placed before 7:00 pm PT I would be able to get expedited shipping to receive the mugs before Christmas. At checkout I could not find any expedited shipping options to check or any promo codes to use to get expedited shipping. The checkout said I would receive the mugs Dec 31-Jan 2. I went to the "Chat" option and guess what...no one responded to my Chat request even after waiting 5 minutes. I called and ended up listening to Shutterfly ads forever and finally I gave up. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. The last time I used Shutterfly it took an incredibly long time to receive my order and I paid $21 for shipping. I said I would never use Shutterfly again but the delivery before Christmas was what enticed me order from them again. How deceptive to advertise expedited shipping and then have no way for the customer to get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shutterfly?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered photo Christmas cards with a 4 photo design. I received a card with one photo and 3 blank area. The customer service phone number was useless since they don't answer it. I e-mailed the company and waited 3 days for a reply. They insisted on reshipping the cards when I asked for a refund. THEY SENT EXACTLY THE SAME DEFECTIVE CHRISTMAS CARD! This was after responding to my detailed email. They are now offering me a credit for their company instead of refunding my money.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered two bean bag chairs personalized with photos of my daughters and their names. They were intended to be Christmas gifts from Santa. I ordered on November 25, 2018 with an estimated delivery of 12/13-12/14. On 12/18, not only has the order not shipped, it hasn't even been completed. I attempted to call Shutterfly customer service about this issue and was told the wait would be 120 minutes! I agreed to allow them to call me back. When they did, two hours later, they kept me on hold for 30 minutes as they "look[ed] into" the issue. They explained that the manufacturer is very behind and they're sorry, but not only is there nothing they can do, they have no idea when the items will ship.

I demanded a full refund because I'll now have to scramble, less than a week before Christmas to find replacement gifts. They did give me the full refund, but it won't reach my account for 7-10 days. So not only do I not have the presents from Santa for my girls, I'm also missing all of the money allocated toward those gifts. Nothing can make this right. I am beyond disappointed with Shutterfly and their complete lack of remorse for what this has done to my family.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a picture blanket in November. Have email guaranteeing its delivery by Dec 18th. It's the 19th and no blanket. Hours on hold on the phone, to hear, "Sorry there was a storm in October and we can't keep up" - the storm was in Florida. The item ships from Arizona. Poor poor customer service. Never again. Now I'm stuck for a gift for a boss by the 20th and no refund.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

First and foremost I usually do not write bad reviews but I only thought it was appropriate for this situation. Ordered a custom photo fleece blanket for my mother on 12/8 after calling to verify I would have it by Christmas. I was told if I ordered by the end of day I would receive it the week of the 17th so I placed the order right away. I called on the 14th after being on hold for almost an hour I requested more details on my order as in my account it still showed being created. It was now showing delivery of 1/4-1/9 and I wanted to confirm this was hopefully an error. I was told no it’s an issue with the website and my blanket will be to my doorstep by 12/24 absolute latest.

I called again today 12/18 due to once again no updates and still showing it had not been created. Customer service told me that this was expected to arrive at my house by 1/19 that they had a backup due to weather and heavy orders being placed. Needless to say I’ve canceled my order and I will never do business with Shutterfly again. I’ve been using them for years and could not imagine the money they have made from my wife and I but I couldn’t be more pissed at this time and don’t plan to ever do business again. If you want something and you don’t have 2-3 months to wait make sure you get it elsewhere because the runaround they give you is all just what you want to hear and they can’t follow through on anything they commit to.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Ordered Christmas cards and throughout the order check out and my initial confirmation email it guaranteed delivery by Dec. 14th. However when they finally “shipped” on Dec. 11th the guaranteed date become a 3-day window up until Dec. 17th. On Dec. 13th I emailed because I was concerned my shipment that was guaranteed by Dec. was showing movement on the tracking history. I was assured everything is fine and just wait till Dec. 17th. Well that date came and went and now they are saying it was lost. Shutterfly is unreliable to say the least and deceitful with the bait and switch “guaranteed” delivery date. I’ve learned my lesson and will no longer use this company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I placed an order on December 11th. In order to receive it before I leave town for Christmas I had to pay $45 for expedited shipping. Delivery was guaranteed by 12/19. I received an email on 12/16 letting me know that my order had shipped and the "estimated" delivery date was 12/19. Upon tracking my package I find that it will not be delivered until 12/20. There is an email address provided for questions about your order. I sent a very detailed email about the issue and that I was very unhappy.

When you call you find out that the wait time is 52 minutes, or 44 minutes (depending on how many different times you try to call). Their automated message while you are holding is that they will upgrade your shipping for free to meet the guaranteed delivery date. UHHH NOPE! So they don't honor their promises and they don't have the time to address your concerns via email, so you are left to hold for eternity in the hopes that someone will answer the phone. I will never buy from them again. What a waste and now I have no gift for Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered a deck of playing cards which were suppose to be personalized with a photo. I received blanks instead. When I tried to contact them to fix the problem, I gave up because trying to contact customer service was too difficult and frustrating. I would not recommend Shutterfly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered holiday cards with printed envelopes and matching liners. First of all, the cards and envelopes came but I had to wait extra time for the liners. Finally, the liners arrive and they are completely defective. Each liner has a sticky strip covered with a plastic tape to be removed so that you can adhere it to the inside of the envelope. Well, every time I tried to remove the tape, the whole liner tore off with it. VERY POOR QUALITY! After getting in touch with Shutterfly they will give a refund BUT guess what?!? I have to pay to send them back. REALLY? I will never order anything from this company again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I normally use Mixbook for all of my photo books but decided to use Shutterfly this time. I went in and created a book for my husbands family for Christmas and finished it on December 5 and they sent me a message saying it they were going to send 3 and then 1 later. That makes no sense, if you printed and shipped 3 why would you not do the 4th one, with the 3 to be received by the 15 and the 4th sometime between the 15th and the 17th. For kickers I called them and I was told my wait time would be 186 minutes. You don't wait that long to talk to the IRS.

So I needed to do another book for my daughter and went to Mixbook to complete it. I put that order in on 12/10 and it's already shipped and will likely arrive before the Shutterfly ones do. When I contacted Shutterfly and expressed my dissatisfaction all I got was an email saying, "We apologize for any inconvenience. Your order has now been shipped." The 3 books I am waiting for are for family in California and I will now have to pay extra shipping in order to get them there by Christmas. My recommendation, go with Mixbook and stay away from Shutterfly. I know I will.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Ordered cards via app. Received glossy picture and not card stock paper. Spent the same amount of money in past for card stock. Waited 28 min on hold only to be told that’s what I ordered. $55.00 for 75 glossy cheap paper cards and that’s with 50% off. So you’re telling me $110.00 for cards that is the same paper you use to give away free pictures every day. I have been using Shutterfly for years, not anymore!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware of Shutterfly trying to sneak higher charges in! I spent Hours yesterday putting together photo books and greeting cards before the 50% off everything sale ended. I was still hours away from the end of the sale day but once things were in my cart I noticed the prices on some items doubled once I went to check out. If I removed them from my cart and put them back in the price corrected itself, but when I went to do this on a second item the first jumped back up in price! It was infuriating and took forever. I finally gave up and tried to just order two things (accepting I would pay double for one) and then it said the shipping was no longer available. It said that no matter what shipping option I selected. So after hours of frustration and time wasted I have Zero Christmas presents and will be starting over with a different company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've order coffee mugs as gifts from Shutterfly at least three times now and put pictures of our kids on them for my parents. This time the image quality was significantly worse than in the past - noticeable pixelation/granularity in the white range that was not due to the quality of the original images - some of my uploaded images were better than those for my past projects. I'm looking at two of these mugs side by side as I write this. Other than the image transfer to the mug, which is still acceptable, just not as good as in the past, the mugs appear fine.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Great in the past, but terrible this year!!! Attempting to put together our annual family calendar. This has always been a fun experience, but not this year. Photo download is a nightmare. Selected 150 pics from our computer to upload. Only about 90 uploaded. The others that would not load are from the same camera and in some cases in sequence. I even tried to upload individually without any success. Customer service responded with a lot of double-talk. One of which was that I need to check "color space" on the photos. Very dissatisfied and will probably not return to Shutterfly in the future! Does anyone have another site that can be recommended?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I found my dream wedding invites on Shutterfly through the wedding shop and picked the popular gold foil themed cards. I ordered an entire set of invites, RSVP cards, and enclosure cards that normally cost over 600 dollars without any promotions. Everything seemed to be going smoothly after I designed and placed my order until a stranger found my email and messaged me about how they received my WEDDING ENCLOSURE cards. I didn't think much of it until I realized that all my personal information was on that card. At least this person was kind enough to notify me what happened. A few days later, my order was delivered and as expected, my wedding enclosure cards were missing. They only packaged 19 out of the 70 cards that I ordered. Things seemed even more strange when the 19th card I found in my pile actually belonged to the girl who emailed me saying she received mine in addition to hers!

Sorry Shutterfly, but this is completely unacceptable and a huge privacy concern for both parties involved! I wish my complaints stopped there. I realized that some of the wedding cards with the gold foil details were poorly done. Some cards were perfect, but there was a handful where the last letter of gold foil was not completely filled in. Again, I paid way too much money for this to be happening. Not only did the gold foil turn out poor on many cards, but they printed my envelopes with the addressing (WHICH I PAID EXTRA FOR!!!) all CROOKED! Unbelievable... I was expecting top notch quality and error-free cards for the price I paid. I'm extremely disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had a HORRIBLE customer service experience with Shutterfly today. They’re money hungry, and I think they’re in over their heads with the Christmas rush. The company allowed me to use a PO Box as my shipping address and then tried to charge me $20-something dollars to change the address when my Christmas cards could not be sent. Now I have to drive AN HOUR EACH WAY to the UPS center my cards are at to pick up my order because I refused to pay extra money to fix THEIR mistake. The rep I spoke with backed me into a corner and told me if I didn’t want to pay the money or pick them up, she would cancel and reorder for me and that they would not come in time to mail them for Christmas.

She literally blackmailed me with my own order instead of comping the address change. I told her it was unacceptable and I would like the address changed and she told me that if I wouldn’t choose one of the two cost free options - she would choose for me, and she would be canceling my order so I’d have to wait. So now I drive two hours out of my way tomorrow, on my day off, when I work a 50 hour week to fix a mistake that is not mine to fix. If you can’t deliver to a P.O. Box, don’t allow me to use it as my shipping address. I work in customer service and I would absolutely NEVER leave one of my customers cleaning up my mess.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I ordered a personalized blanket 2 weeks ago. Was a gift for family we are visiting across the country next week. Was suppose to be delivered Dec 3rd. On Dec 6th get email it is on back order. Now I have no gift and no time to have the blanket made by another company. Do not understand why they waited 2 weeks to email me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Shutterfly did not deliver the products I ordered, and when I contacted them they did not resolve the problem. I ordered 100 Christmas Cards and 100 envelopes. Received 100 cards but only 48 envelopes. Immediately contacted them and they said they would send the missing envelopes. The envelopes were not sent. Contacted them again and again. Got assurance they would send the missing envelopes. 10 days later still no envelopes. I will never use their services again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

There was a promotion for 10 free cards if you got that into your order in time. I did type it in before the deadline but did not get the free cards. Could not understand the customer service rep and could not get chat. My email messages have not gone through. Very frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I ordered three photobooks. Was charged $256. The pictures I uploaded are on the website -- I spent 2+ hours designing the book. When the books arrived they were blank. Not one picture was in the 111 page book. I tried calling twice each time with a wait time over 30 minutes on the phone. When I emailed customer service they responded with, "We'll give you a coupon for 3 free books". I tried using the "free book" coupon and it doesn't cover all the extra pages. Their free coupon would have still cost me $80 per books AND they have not refunded the original purchase cost of the books. Currently still fighting to get my money back. COMPLETELY DISGUSTED by their product and customer service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I ordered ornaments and received them...they were perfect and arrived in good order. When I ordered, I entered a discount code for Tiny prints at 40% off as I thought that they were Tiny Prints goods; the catalogue shows both. I had difficulty entering the code (19 digits). I tried the other discount shown on the catalogue for Shutterfly (50% for cards etc., 40% off everything else. I sent an email asking how to get the 40%. No response sent a follow up email asking about the discount, again no response. I phoned customer service and was told that I was due no discount as the items were not Tiny prints and had shipped. The items are shown on Shutterfly's site online today at half the price I paid in mid November. The coupons on the catalogue say they are valid thru December 16.

Today's date is December 2. I asked after a 20 minute hold for a regular rep to speak with a resolution specialist. After another 5 mins or so I explained again and the specialist said that Shutterfly had responded. I had no record of such in my email account, asked if I checked spam, (I had not at the time) but I did while we were online together and found nothing. I was receiving Shutterfly email as I was notified that shipping had occurred and my second request for help was a response to that shipping notice. When I asked if my only recourse was to get my CC company to pay 60% I was told that was illegal, that I was on a recorded line and the call quickly ended.

As in most things in life, it's not the $20 but the principle and then being treated poorly. Is Shutterfly not concerned about retaining its customers? Is Shutterfly advertising discounts they do not honor? Frankly the discount was not the driving factor when I ordered. It was there and I said great! I am only asking for what was offered and got the run around from email and both the reps I spoke with... really bad. I am sorely disappointed with a company that I have used over the in the past that has great products yet poor customer service. Is this the way to lose a customer and have that bad word of mouth? I guess it is from the treatment given me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have ordered several things from them and was generally impressed with the quality. Then I ordered some photo books for a class final project. I paid an extra $25 for shipping to ensure they would be here in time for me to turn them in. It had a guaranteed delivery date. I kept checking the order status and it said it hadn't shipped yet. The day before my "guaranteed" delivery date, I called to see what was going on. The representative I got had a rudimentary understanding of English and was clearly reading off a script and didn't actually try to understand my problem. He provided me with a tracking number which was obviously useless if it hadn't shipped yet. I called back and thankfully got a representative who was able to understand me. She assured me they would arrive in time.

They finally shipped out that night, however they hadn't checked in to a UPS store by 7:00 pm the day they were supposed to arrive. I called again. And told them I expected them to refund the shipping. She gave me some spiel about how they would be in that day. I told her they wouldn't because of course it was after business hours (on a Friday no less). After some arguing, to their credit they did refund me shipping. However, she was not even able to tell me what state they were in. I still don't have them. Don't know where they are and now. I'm in a bind because this is a final project. Won't be ordering from them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I, ordered very simple presentation/business cards. Only name, email and phone #. Huge disappointment when received, e-mail letters and phone numbers so tiny that only can read with a magnifier glass. In other words, NO proportion in the layout. Tried to reach customer service on 11/27/2018. Impossible even by phone or chat. Twice after waiting 40 to 45 minutes call was disconnected and was no chat available. After 3 days and 3 attempts the same day (2 of them automatic disconnected) was able to chat. After a detail explanation and picture of the card a representative named Octavia, argue that was my fault and add as a courtesy they will get the cards free, said that are useless and will be shredded.

For my surprise she change the story and email link to return cards in order to get the refund, but that I will need to pay for the return shipping. Decided to stop losing value time with her and complaint to the credit card. Shutterfly claimed that customer satisfaction is a top priority for them. Unbelievable... Are many others companies who do not have an expensive website or advertising but that are more pro customers. WHOEVER WANT TO LOSE MONEY, TIME AND PATIENCE order from SHUTTERFLY.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The company spelled my name wrong on a Xmas card order. I waited too long to speak to someone who I could barely understand. She could not find my order by phone number, email address or street address. Once that was finally taken care of she wanted me to go online and start the order process over. I asked to speak to her supervisor and waited 10 minutes (no exaggeration) and was told the same thing – go online and reorder. When I refused he said that although it’s not “typical” he could do the reorder for me. Shutterfly screws up my order and he’s doing me a favor by taking care of the problem. Terrible service, never again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Every year I order photo books for my 3 grandkids as a gift for Christmas... a year of memories. Three years ago, I received the books with all the pages loose... floating around the Christmas tree. They resent books... same thing. They didn't believe me, so I sent the books to them. 3rd time was a charm... all the pages stayed in the book. As I worked on the year-long phone book project this year, I was almost finished. Yesterday, went into my projects and found the photo book projects gone.

Called customer service. They couldn't find them. Ugh! So, all night last night I went through a year of photos and recreated the books. As I continued to work, I put them in an order cart. 30 minutes ago, I went into my projects and couldn't find the books again. Luckily I had put them in the order cart, edited them and did a rush order. I will hopefully get a good project next week. I love the creative options for the Shutterfly books. But, I am thinking they are failing to upgrade their system to handle the holiday traffic. I do like their product, but I think it's time to find a new service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I verified my Christmas cards before placing my order and all the pictures slots (a total of six picture slots) were filled because it would obviously be nonsense to order a card with no pictures in it. However, when I received my product there were four open slots on the front of the card with no pictures. Basically, just white squares. I'm not sure what exactly happened because I am confident when I reviewed my final product they were all there because I have human eyeballs and wouldn't order an incomplete card to send to my family.

I requested a free reprint because this seems like an issue where the product didn't save or upload correctly. Their customer service rep didn't even read the email I sent because the response basically said Shutterfly was unable to edit projects after they were sent to printing but that is NOT what I requested. I requested a reprint of a completely useless product that I spent over $100 on. They offered me a 50% off a new project and I took it but honestly I'll just never use Shutterfly again. I don't appreciate a completely canned response that displays a total lack of reading my problem/complaint.

Shutterfly Company Information