Weight Watchers

WW (Weight Watchers)
Shop on Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.69/5

Formerly known as Weight Watchers, WW sells memberships that include online tracking, in-person meetings and one-on-one personal coaching. The app helps you track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and locate support within the online community. It also offers SmartPoints and FitPoints programs to help dieters stay on track.

Weight Watchers Shop on Amazon

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: April 20, 2020

I started Weight Watchers in early 2019 with a desire to get back on a healthy track along with some accountability in regard to my weight. I'm the kind of person that needs that weekly visit to the scale to keep some skin in the game, and the added community feel at the meetings (workshops they now call them) is helpful and supportive.

That said, then the pandemic hit. Meetings were canceled. We were offered virtual meetings, but that didn't work for me, however I had signed up for a six month commitment with a cancellation penalty for leaving early. I figured I'd give it a couple of months, see if things got back to normal, which they haven't. I decided to cancel online. The system offered a couple of months free if I stayed, but with the current climate meetings weren't going to happen any time soon, so I canceled....and was immediately hit with a $64.95 cancellation fee. I figured by this point, WW would have included in their programming an exception to this issue, seeing how they could no longer provide the services I signed up for, and my cancellation reason was pretty clear.

I shot off an email that was pretty indignant, as other companies (car insurance for example) are making exceptions and in some cases giving money back to clients who can't use services or are using services significantly less due to current circumstances. For the record, at no point did I request a refund of any back months of service. I just didn't want to pay a cancellation fee for a service they weren't providing me anymore (and I wasn't willing to accept their digital alternatives at a higher rate than what other people who signed up for digital only were paying).

I got what was obviously a form letter that was about as condescending as you'd expect from a very large company that obviously hasn't caught up with the debacle going on around it. Some key excerpts.... "In reviewing your WW account, your account was activated on 12/04/2019 for a 6-month long-term commitment plan at a reduced rate of $35.96 a month once your first month free ended. Once your commitment plan ended, then your account would have auto-renewed and continued to charge you the standard rate of $44.95 a month until you contact us to cancel. Members are made aware when they first sign up, that if they choose to cancel before the end of their commitment plan; it will result in an early termination fee of $64.95.

With that being said, the cancellation fee is built into the commitment plan that you were on. We do not have a way to stop the fee from being applied once the account is cancelled or requested to be cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience. By subscribing to our product, you agreed to and accepted the terms of our Membership Agreement. Section three of our Membership Agreement clearly sets forth the payment and billing terms. Our membership process is the same as many other online membership processes, which automatically renew your account and bill your credit card unless you cancel. Pursuant to the terms of our Membership Agreement, we are unable to refund fees paid for months with billing dates that have come and gone."

See the above. Cold, impersonal, never mind that people who signed up in December had no clue they would be facing the worst pandemic since the early 20th century. They gave me the $64.95 back, but lost my business in doing so in a way that treated me like an idiot. They were in breach of the agreement by not providing the services I paid for (that's not their fault either, they didn't create the virus, but to keep expecting me to pay for something they can no longer provide is just the height of hubris, and the idea that by this point they haven't fine tuned this response to the situation is just plain lazy).

So there you go folks. If you sign up with WW long term, even in the midst of a plague, they don't HAVE to give you anything as far as they are concerned, but if you're willing to be treated like an idiot you might get something back. I'm done with them as far as I'm concerned. My response to the above was incredibly scathing. I have no doubt the customer service representative who sent it hit a function key, selected a template, and off it went. Probably took about 30 seconds of his/her time. My response, which was very detailed, caustic and quite vulgar, took more, but was quite cathartic. As a side note, at least in my area, when they were having meetings, I was very happy with my meeting leader. She was very kind and encouraging. If you do sign up for something, do it on a month to month, no commitments. You'll find that the team leader and the corporation itself are two very different issues.

Original review: March 16, 2020

Absolutely do not sign up with this company. I live in a state where they have shut down all schools, restaurants, bars, etc because of Covid-19. Jobs are gone until who knows when. I contacted customer service to close my account in an effort to stretch my income as much as possible. I was told that an early cancelation would result in a $39 penalty. If people can't afford a monthly subscription why would you think they can afford a penalty. It is absolutely appalling. Do not sign up!

Original review: March 8, 2020

I joined the one month free promotion online after seeing the ads on t.v. and I was under the impression that if I didn't like it within the first free month, I'd be able to cancel to avoid paying for the 5 months beyond that. NOT THE CASE! I joined online on Dec. 28th then called to cancel on January 8th because the app was not what I expected and I knew I could get free recipes and idea on my own and I shouldn't be paying $41+ for something that is useless to me. The points system was not easy to follow and I'd rather count calories or keep a food journal. There was no food provided. What am I even going to be paying for, I asked myself?

So when I called to cancel, the lady said that I was on a contract and she couldn't refund anything at that time because I wasn't charged yet. After a long, frustrating phone call, she ASSURED ME that if I let her extend my free trial 30 more days, I could call back once I see my first bill and I could get a refund at that time. She did not give me a specific date to call by and did not tell me I would then be charged a cancellation fee. She simply said that I could get a refund at that time. So I agreed to call back. I never once used the app or anything associated with WW to help me in my diet. They sent random, useless emails that I was not interested in. I get those types of FREE emails from other sites, I would never have paid for the "information" they were trying to provide me.

Now that my bill has posted to my account last week, I was able to call to cancel and they said they could not refund me the $41+ and I'd be charged a cancellation fee of $64. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE FIRST LADY SAID TO ME! I am furious! I asked to talk to a manager and she was exactly as unhelpful as the first lady. She just kept saying she could not refund me anything or waive the cancellation fee. DESPITE the first lady making the mistake of telling me the wrong information. She suggested I read the fine print in my contract and then tried to talk me into downgrading my account to a digital account to pay only $21+ per month for the 5 months, which still would be getting their money from me in the long run. All for something I NEVER used and don't believe in.

I cannot believe the terrible customer service! As if they aren't making enough money off of people already. I wonder how many others were scammed. They will have to take me to court to get my $100 of hard earned money for something they should have never charged me for in the first place. A SERVICE that was useless and never used. What a RIPOFF and SCAM Weight Watchers is. You (WW association) all should be ashamed of yourself.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

There are SO MANY points values that are incorrect! For instance, when I scan an item, it may show one points value, and when I calculate it manually, it shows another! And when you look up the item in their system, who knows what you'll get. I've spent much time on the phone with WW detailing specific items (as I show in the example below), was even assigned case numbers several months ago, but nothing has been done about anything and nothing is ever corrected! They then told me to email customer service with these issues, and I have, but never a response from anyone either!

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE: MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties (NOTE THAT I HAVE THE DESCRIPTION TYPED EXACTLY AS ON THE PACKAGE). If you scan the package using the WW bar code scanner, it shows 5 points per patty. When you manually calculate, it shows 4 points patty. And when you look it up in the same item their system, it shows the following (and I'm also typing this exactly as they have on their website): Morning star farms Buffalo chicken patties (1 serving = 4 points) (wonder where they got that incorrect description from). And then right below that it says: MorningStar Farms Buffalo chik patties (1 serving 5 points).

I came across this type of discrepancy in 3 different items today, for a total of 3 points variance for the day! That's a lot when the daily points allowance is 23 points. When the WW system IS BASED ON A POINTS SYSTEM, then I expect the points values to be CORRECT. So now I have to take the time so manually calculate each item myself. That is the only way to make sure the points values are correct. This is a waste of my time and $19.95 a month, and as soon as I can get out of this 6-month program, I'm quitting WW again. I am paying WW to provide a service, and they cannot deliver.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I joined WW online a while back and religiously tracked everything I ate. I was completely compliant with the plan. At the end of 30 days, I had lost one quarter of a pound. Since then I discovered eating a ketogenic diet works best as I have insulin resistance. I've lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 mos and it didn't cost me a dime. I'm never hungry as I was on WW. If you have metabolic syndrome and feel you are insulin resistant, keto is the only way to go because it lowers your insulin levels. Insulin is a fat storing hormone. If you have high levels of insulin, your body cannot access your stored fat. I've gone from pre-diabetic to normal, lowered my blood pressure, have excellent cholesterol levels, and all my inflammation related symptoms have resolved. I have tons of energy and sleep better.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I had better luck but now - doesn't work for me. I have a friend who is now a WW leader/counselor and it took her 3.5 years to lose 50 pounds. After 10 years, she has gained back 20 pounds. She claims keto is not sustainable, but I'm unable to find a single scientific study that shows what % of people who join reach their goal and stay there for 5 years or more. If WW is so sustainable, why does the average member join 4 times over their life-time? Hint: It's because WW is no more sustainable than any other diet, and 95% of all diets fail over the long term. Save your money, do your own research, and find what works for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I have not cancelled yet and hope I do not have a problem after reading other reviews. The new WW has nothing new and the meetings I went to were boring and almost depressing. I think it's more of a social club for lonely people. Members said they had lost weight but 8 out of 7 people there were overweight AND they had been going for years. Weight Watchers has been around for a long time and I am sure it works for some but it's not for me. I just hope they keep their promise on my trial. They did extend my trial because I was sick for several weeks so that is a plus. If you can, try to attend a meeting without signing anything. You may have a different experience.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Do Not Join!!! WW is awful!! They are fraudulent in their charges. I was told my membership was for 2 months and was charged $41.61. Then was charged the same amount 1 month later. Then called to cancel the membership the very same morning I was charged and was told they would waive the $64.95 cancellation fee and was charged that on top of the $41.61. Do Not get caught up in this fraudulent company!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I signed up for the 30 day program through ww.com just to give it a try. I wasn't impressed with the program at all. I was hoping for some new, healthy meal ideas but found most of their recipes not at all appealing. Plus, I just really didn't like the program. It was not for me. So today I check my bank account and lo and behold, ww.com charged me for another month when I only signed up for 1 month. That is a VERY deceptive business practice which I find very shady. I know they were hoping for me to not notice and for them to just keep deducting money out of my account each month. I gave them 2 stars b/c I did receive excellent customer support from an agent who was very friendly and helpful in refunding my money. In my opinion, I was NOT impressed with ww.com one bit.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I joined in 2018. Didn’t like the new plan at all and called to cancel. Was told I would be charged 260 dollars early cancellation fee. I was like, “what?!” They said I signed up for 6 months, which I know I never would have done in the first place! I saw no receipts that I did any such thing. Then he said it must have been the site I picked. Why the hell would I do that and there was no mention of a cancellation fee!! If I had seen it, I would never have joined to begin with! I called many times to rectify this to no avail. Though I quit the program, they continued to charge me 55 a month for the six month. So either way, they were gonna get their 260 one way or the other. I would never recommend them to anyone, ever!! Please don’t respond with “I will have someone reach out to you.” Save your **.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Paula, we're sorry to hear of your experience and we'd love the opportunity to assist. A member of our Resolution Team will be in touch shortly. We look forward to helping.

--WW Resolution Team--

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I want to share my experience on WW. I signed up for 6months program and when my 6months came up the app stop working for me. So I thought my membership was canceled. But, surprise to me they continue charging me, app doesn't work but we will take your money. I called and the Supervisor argued with me and was worthless and lack customer service training. This makes me very sad because I did so well on the program and talked many friends into joining. But it's just a big rip-off scam, in the long run. I'm in retail and oversee over 25 stores and we would never treat anyone in this matter. I really don't need the $40 that I'm out but it's the principle of the matter. You want to believe that a company like WW is out to help people and would want them to return if needed. I would never ever recommend or even suggest this to anyone.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Cynthia, we're so sorry to hear of the frustration this has caused you. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you shortly to assist. We look forward to speaking with you.

--WW Resolution Team--