Jenny Craig

The Jenny Craig program is designed to provide structure and support to help members lose weight and learn how to keep it off.

Jenny Craig’s program provides nutritionally-balanced menus, which include nearly 80 delicious entrees, desserts and snacks developed by dietitians, nutritionists, and food technologists.

Jenny Craig consultants work with each member individually to identify their strengths, challenges and personal goals in order to create unique weekly meal and activity plans that fit individual needs.

Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Excellent experience. I have lost 50 lbs in 19 weeks. There are many good options to choose from and the meals are tasty and filling. Having a consultant to motivate you each week is a huge plus. I am pleased with the program.

I have used Jenny Craig three times in my life in three different locations: Joplin, MO in 2002, Woodbridge VA in 2013 and Mount Vernon OH in 2017. All of my consultants have been amazingly supportive, genuinely concerned, and knowledgeable. Jenny is one of only two programs that consistently achieve good results, as confirmed by major public studies. Jenny Craig food tastes better than the other program according to taste tests. I have successfully lost weight after pregnancies (after weaning my babies) and no one believes how many children I have because I am slim -- but it is all due to Jenny Craig!

I've been a member for years and over time have unfortunately become dissatisfied with JC. They keep throwing out tools that work (like forms that used to fold nicely and had room to write) and discontinuing popular foods in favor of (in my opinion) cheaper ingredient items. The last straw was losing the veggie sausage with pancakes. They keep tossing out vegetarian options. If you're on a restricted diet like me, you're going to spend your money at the store when you can't buy what you want at the center. So I buy vegetarian sausage patties and a box of mini pancakes at the store instead. Like MANY others, I don't like that they don't give you a receipt showing line item pricing. That's right, you get a receipt showing the total you spent that day but not one showing what each individual item cost. Why? Why not be honest like every other organization? Could it be because they don't want you to know what you're really spending???

That said, I did lose weight with them... I've also gained it all back. And that's the problem: almost every center sees the same people year after year. I think it's because (again) the tools for aftercare just aren't there. When you reach goal, you can visit the ghost town forums online or order their old recipe books on eBay (I haven't seen any new ones) but otherwise, you're on your own. It's almost like they want you to gain weight and return. Perhaps because it costs more to get a new customer than a returning one? I just don't like going in anymore or scheduling appointments. I have felt pressure to buy and have even found--more than once--pricey items I didn't ask for magically appearing in my cart that I've rejected at the point of sale.

My guess is that the consultants are pressured to call their accounts to get to some kind of quota. The value of the consultant is a double edged sword: great for keeping you honest but they will also call you to book additional appointments (read: sales) lined up. And forget calling the "help" center. They were unhelpful, pushing everything back to the field office instead of listening.

If you want to lose weight and are willing to be creative, you can use JC as a starting point, adding things like supplements or reading weight loss articles online and books, joining an online community of others dedicated to losing weight through exercise and diet, and realize that no one "diet" can be the answer. There are some good items they offer and the entrees will teach you about portion control. Many staff members are some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. But if you're not getting what you need from JC, you can find what you need elsewhere, probably for a bit less money and hassle, once you take ownership of your weight loss.

I have been with Jenny Craig for several months now. All going fine until I ate a chicken burrito last night. Extreme food poisoning within 1.5 hours. Thought I was going to die. I am going to try to get my money back. I picked out the bell peppers and one also still had the sticker on it.

I have nothing but good things to say about Jenny Craig and my consultant. If you follow the program you will lose weight. I absolutely love the food I actually crave my meals. Seasoned so well. Everything is to die for. The deserts are wonderful. My favorite is the brownie. You feel satisfied because you're not lacking anything. Only thing extra to buy is fresh fruits and yogurts unless you do their anytime bars. Only drawback is cost. It is not inexpensive. I spend around $150.00 per week at Jenny. If you can afford it you won't be disappointed. Good luck on your weight loss and enjoy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jenny Craig?

I needed to lose weight, I am a type 2 Diabetic. I called and signed up. I was not told that the 2 year contract would be over 299.99 and 216.72 plus food. The food made me sick and my sugar got so high. The food is not good. Do not join.

I don't have a positive experience to share. The food lack taste. They tried to compensate this issue by increasing the amount of pepper and spices which took a hit on my stomach. I couldn't tolerate the amount of spices they put in their foods. In general the food had an after taste that stayed in my mouth until the next meal. I wasted a lot of money buying different foods and trashing them because of irritants to my digestion. If you need to lose weight, consider investing in a dietitian. It has worked much better for me. This way I can carry on with my busy life, eating real food and be able to take the knowledge with me during my vacation and business trips.

I went on Jenny Craig for about 6 months many years ago and yes I did lose weight however I caused major damage to my gut health due to their foods being full of preservatives and chemicals. I would never recommend the Jenny Craig program.

I made an appointment online with Jenny Craig. My appointment was at 7 PM. I arrived 20 minutes early. There was no one at the reception. Shortly after, two people came to the front desk clearly laughing and joking around. I was greeted and advised my representative would be with me at 7 PM. I sat and waited thinking my representative was busy and would be with me as soon as possible. To my surprise, Stacy was one of the two people joking and chatting. Clearly my business was not important to this office. When I was called back Stacy was unprofessional. I asked for pricing and was told, "I'm getting to that." I walked out. This office is unprofessional and in no way would I ever go back to ANY Jenny Craig.

I first went to Jenny Craig in 1994 and lost 40 lbs in 8 months. Back then they had mandatory classes on nutrition, exercise, maintenance etc. I just went back last week again after 22 years and gaining back the weight after numerous back surgeries and the inability to exercise much. Things had changed, they no longer had the mandatory classes and the entire process has been streamlined. So far in week two, the food is small portions but filling and the weight is starting to go down very steadily. Most of the consultants there have been through the Jenny Craig weight loss program themselves, so they have their own stories. The staff has been great and seem to really be about your being successful. Yes, the food is extremely expensive, but you get what you pay for, well portioned foods which are fairly tasty.

I started JC back in 1994... Lost 60 lbs in 8 months. Even after having 2 kids going up and down. Here it is 2016 went back to lose 10 lbs. All went well. Great consultants. Great food. I have my fave choices of food. All the negative comments I have read. It's crazy. Yes it costs money. Nothing is free. You're paying for convenience as well as what you take away from learning to plan daily meals when on maintenance. If you aren't learning you aren't listening or engaging in the conversations with your consultant. I have no complaints... Do I wish the food was a little less, well of course... But it's a business they guarantee weight loss it works... I have lived it.

If you can do it on your own more power to you. But don't bash an entire branded company for a bad consultant or you got in way over your head and couldn't afford. I'm very happy with what they teach and tell you. Once you're on your own you take the tools that were given to you and follow through. If you decided to eat the entire chocolate cake then that's on you. JC has made a lot of people healthy and happy!!! I'm one of them. Krista **. Good luck all.

I joined JC in 2001 with my mom. Initially the experience was good but went downhill. I purchased a lifetime subscription because I felt it would give me more bang for my buck. The food was good and I was able to fill in gaps with store purchased foods. I lost 30 pounds and was quite happy with the result and recommended it to my friends. Over time the weight creeped up and I was back to Jenny. The second time the results were as good as the first (even though I followed it to the letter). Fast forward to 2007 and I tried another diet that worked, but as with other diets the weight came back. I eventually ended up having gastric bypass surgery and lost over 120 pounds, that wasn't without serious complications.

I eventually moved and went to the local JC center so I could use the food as maintenance. I was told I would have to rejoin (what the heck happened to my lifetime membership? Your guess is as good as mine). They could not locate the membership information and the center I joined at is closed. Needless to say I didn't rejoin and I am now using Lean Cuisine and it's going well. The one problem is that they do not have breakfast items.

Even on the diabetic diet option, I had the worst blood sugar crash of my life, I was very ill at work, sweated through all my clothes and was very hot and shaky. Thank goodness I work in a hospital so help was there. When I asked for a refund of the $200 I paid for a year membership (you get 3 months free), the woman hemmed and hawed and finally said "no refunds after 3 days." I did find it in the small print. I was calling only 6 days from starting. I advise others to avoid this company, once they get your money they will find an excuse to keep it. 3 days is not long enough to find out if it's going to work for you. And read the small print, they have lots of disclaimers.

Joined in 2009 with lifetime membership. Had a pleasant experience with decent counselors and halfway decent food. Lost a bunch of weight. Went back this May to try to lose the weight I'd gained back, not as much as I'd lost in the first place! I felt like I was rushed in and out. The "counselor" did not ask me about myself, I didn't know whether she has used JC until I asked. There have been changes since I first joined, she did not address them until I asked. Then she told me the company had been bought out by one of the food giants and the food was more expensive, and not as good. After I paid I was almost pushed out the door. She remembered as an afterthought to give me the Getting Started book. I asked where were the CD's and everything that I had gotten before and she said the new company didn't care about that. Not an auspicious start.

She was not wrong about the food. I was shocked at the prices and not really happy when I discovered I had not been given everything I paid for. The food was awful. Pasta was gummy, rice mushy, too much or not enough seasoning. The meals I enjoyed were no longer on the menu, and I was hopeful some of my choices might be as good, but most of what I tried I didn't finish. My dogs turned their noses up at the Beef Merlot. I didn't go back the following week and did not receive any kind of follow-up call. I called customer service, and the phone rep was nice but the policy apparently is, "Too bad, we got your money, so what if we don't deliver as promised". Can't even describe how ripped off I feel. Don't know if it is true that a big company bought out JC. I would never have gone back if I had known it was this bad.

I went to a Jenny Craig location to find out about joining. The counselor appointed to me basically read off what plans they offer and proceeded to take a food order for the week which amounted to over $100. I received no explanation of the plan and the food is not the healthiest (high in sodium) or very satisfying. I am going back to Weight Watchers as I know this plan works and is geared for lifetime success.

I order a trial 3-day food kit and it came with hairs inside the packaging. When I called them, they told me that they would send "the hairs" to a lab to confirm they were indeed hairs. Then they would maybe replace the little dressing sample that touched the hair. REALLY?! WHAT A JOKE. It is disgusting.

Hi. I joined JC in 2001 in their lose 10 kgs for $10 programme (at 75 kgs and 5 ft 6 they had told me I was considered obese). I lost about 8kgs without exercise and then stuck. By then I had found the food too expensive so I just chose my own maintenance programme. The consultant was ok but once when I "fell off the wagon" coz my partner was eating KFC before we went for groceries and I was starving [a.k.a mantra "never go shopping on an empty stomach" ;)] and I had the tiniest piece and fessed up - she went completely overboard about it. I needed encouragement to stay on track - not to be berated like a child!

So now I've put on 10 kgs in the last year and I've just decided to follow their idea but DIY rather then rejoin. I would suggest that you look at your plans and then just make up your own grocery list - will take a while the first time while you check fat/sugars/kgs but save it in your phone and/or online shopping and then it's easy next time.

In reality all I have to do is: cut out carbs (my 1200 cal plan only had a measly 5 oven baked wedges and one english muffin and 1/2 portion of noodles allowed in a week). Manage portion control (main meal by protein the size of the palm of your hand and bulk out the plate with vegs/salad). Limit sweets/alcohol to one small portion a day. No fried food (unless pan fried in own juices or small amount of olive oil). Have six small regular meals which manages my metabolism (breakfast, 10am snack - fruit, yoghurt or nuts light lunch, 3pm snack, evening meal and early evening snack or dessert or small wine). Don't eat/drink after 8pm.

I also saw a programme on Dr Oz today that recommended having a glass of orange juice in the morning and then light exercise for 30 mins in the morning which keeps your metabolism up all day. So as a single mom I'm going to start on the exercycle each day. And my son bought me a Nutri Ninja for Xmas so smoothies with Complan as a meal replacement at lunch-time every other day is my plan. I think the JC consultants are more prepped in sales than motivation and nutrition so I'm sure I can do it just as well on my own!

I liked the consultant I had and I lost the weight I wanted to lose, but after that, when you go on Maintenance, there are no resources to help you keep the weight off! I joined J.C 12 years ago, on the Lifelong Plan, and back then, they had the pyramid scheme to help you keep track of what you should be eating. 2 fat, 4 veg, etc. Now on my second time around, there are no resources anymore to monitor your dietary intake. How are we supposed to keep track of what we are eating? I'm disappointed in the overall lack of support after you reach your weight loss goal. I don't want to have to buy J.C food forever!!

I've done the Jenny program a couple of times now and was able to lose the weight I wanted. I find the food to be fine, not all of it, but there's enough to keep me happy. The reason for the lower rating is that my most recent experience resulted in some, what I consider to be, unauthorized charges to my credit card. I told them when I signed up in June that I just wanted to be on the program until I lost the weight. Apparently they had me sign something authorizing them to keep charging my account even after I let them know I considered myself done with the program... a form I don't even have a copy of.

After seeing the charges on my credit card statement, I called to have the charges reversed and was told that the location manager would get back to me the same day but I haven't heard back. I was told that I would have had to give them notice in writing, yet when I called they were able to cancel my membership on the phone. I'm so disappointed with these underhanded tactics. They've now lost a returning client for a couple of $20 charges.

I've been going to Jenny Craig for a couple of months. I've been losing weight (yay). But several weeks ago I stuffed a half-eaten food into my bag and forgot all about it. I found it the other day..... and it had turned into mould-coloured POWDER. The food hadn't turned mouldy... it had completely turned to powder. What is IN their food???

Their services are a rip-off! I wasted $800 with no results! The food is bad and high in calories. They want to get rid of you in 10 minutes at every meeting. If you ask them any questions, they hand you over leaflets that you can take home and read. I have heard from few resources now that they are very prominent in getting fake positive reviewed which are not real. Beware, do not fall in their trap!

I have not used their products. Seems quick and easy but expensive. Have been reading about them recently and researching. But years ago a friend of mine got hired by one of the centers to claim she lost all her weight there when this was not the truth. She lost over 100 pds but not on their program. She had before and after pics and it wasn't even on their program. I don't know if this was just a few dishonest people or just the whole program? Anyway buy a 2.00 set of measuring cups, a scale, and read labels. You can do this yourself with some prep time each week. And have better results!

I bought a lifetime membership in 2008 and lost 27 lbs. Now I'm told it was 14 lol. I have been on and off JC for 4 years and each time I go back I am disappointed. The food is awful. When a restaurant cheaps out and changes suppliers they usually go under, and I think JC is heading that way. My current consultant bashes the company all the time and when she goes on Maternity later this year she is never going back, but she tells me she cares and I have to get my ** together. What a hypocrite. I went back in April 2015 to lose my last 20 lbs. I went off of Jenny for a year prior to have a break. I lost 7 lbs my first two weeks but then I got sick of the food. I am on Jenny this week but have made up my mind I am not wasting any more money on this lousy program. You really are just a number they don't care, the longer you are there the better for them, but if your weight loss slows down it looks bad for them.

I see more bad reviews here than good. Kirstie Alley lost and gained it all back, and we never see or hear about Valerie Bertinelli any more wonder if she gained it all back too. Stop wasting your money people looking for a quick fix, you can do it on your own without going bankrupt. I did, it just takes a lot of discipline and really wanting to do it for you. Jenny is not a lifestyle change, the food is processed and unhealthy and I now suffer from joint pain, which could be a result. Good luck to all of you who are battling the bulge, but Jenny is not the answer. I feel sick when I think of the money I have wasted, could have put my daughter through university. Sad but true.

I thought I was eating well and healthy but I learned on Jenny Craig my food portions were too big. After being trained on the proper portions of food and why I eat the way I did emotionally, I learned how to lose to weight. I kept the weight off for 8 years but now with menopause, I find myself eating out of control again. I am going back to Jenny Craig to get guidance again for this stage in my life at age 52. I have been overweight from age 19 to 44.

I started Jenny Craig and was not losing weight very fast, but that was ok. I went to my doctor and a Nutritionist and was told by both of them that I should not go below 150 lbs. When I went to Jenny they basically told me that I made my goal weight to be 145 lbs and I said yes but now I have seen my doctor and Nutritionist and they both agree that I SHOULD NOT GO BELOW 150 lbs. Jenny's food is laced with so much sodium and all processed food. It's ridiculous!!! So now Jenny won't give me 1/2 my money back and will not give me the 10% reduction on food, because according to them I didn't reach my goal weight!!! All Jenny cares about is the money. They do not really care about the client!!! I want to warn other consumers about how Jenny really works!!! People are better off just going an buying a Treadclimber. It's cheaper and then you have the Treadclimber for life and it's cheaper than going to Jenny Craig.

My experience with JC to-date has been wonderful. I am 56 years old and I have tried a lot of diets over the years. This one has worked for me. I have lost 33 lbs over less than 5 months. The consultants at my location are excellent and knowledgeable and willing to modify the plan to meet my needs. They are definitely about ME as an individual and not just about sales. I am now halfway to my goal and transitioning back to my own food. I recently "took back breakfast" and told them I would like to make my own dinners on weekends. They were totally fine with it! We will see how I do. I am absolutely committed to keep the weight off... and, losing even more.

JC has really helped me with portion size -- mine was way out of whack! I also realize now the importance of adding fresh fruits and veggies to my diet daily. And hey! I'm doing Yoga now and riding a bike again. Love it! JC is not cheap, but not incredibly expensive either. I did get a discount through my employer, which helps. I figured I am spending a net of $200 per month more on food by using JC. It will be less than that now since I am starting to fix some of my own meals. So sorry to see that not everyone's experience with JC has been as good as mine. My advice: FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU AND STICK WITH IT. Do what you have to do to get healthy!

Overall I had a good experience with Jenny Craig in Winnipeg on Regent Ave. I was at Five Guys in the same parking lot. I saw the Jenny Craig sign as I ate my oversized burger portions and took it as a sign to walk into Jenny Craig to see what it's all about. As soon as I walked in I felt welcomed. The manager ** spoke with me like I was her friend. I didn't feel judged. She gave me all information and there were no hidden cost.

I then saw a consultant ** who shared her own weight loss journey. I was set up with a week of food - easy to follow. I now go in once a week and have stayed motivated for 2 months so far, have lost 18 pounds. The service is good no matter who I deal with there. They even call me to see how my week is going. The food is good and it is not expensive considering I use to spend $20.00 on 1 meal at Five Guys and not lose weight. I recommend Jenny Craig.

I felt as though I had to write a review after seeing the program get bashed! This diet is easy to follow, the food tastes good, and it is satisfying. I don't know if anybody who wrote these reviews tried their primary competitor's foods, but it is inedible! The only thing about this program is that it is VERY expensive. I really can't afford to be on the program at this time, but felt as though the health and self-esteem benefits from it would be well worth the struggle of coming up with the money.

I put on about 70 pounds since I started getting migraines about three years ago. I had all but given up hope on getting back to my healthy weight. Then I decided to join Jenny Craig again because I KNEW it worked for me. The only thing that I do NOT like about it is my weekly consultations (I am an independent thinker and need neither advice nor encouragement). I also pay $30 every three weeks to have my food shipped to me because I will NOT utilize the center near where I live.

I was actually a consultant for JC five or so years ago (and this is NOT biased -- I am paying full price for the product and left the company on bad terms). I ended up walking out because the women in the center were catty. They also did not practice what they preached. The other two consultants were obese women who ate very poorly, and the manager was anorexic and made nasty remarks about the clients when they didn't lose weight. I'm not trying to scare anyone off, this may just be one center.

The consultant I speak to over the phone is very nice (and she has no idea how well I know the program or that I was once a consultant). I also cared very much for my clients' success when I worked there, and saw a lot of people succeed (one of whom is my son's pediatrician, and a few others that I keep in contact with!). Even with the horrible experience I had with a few nasty women when I worked for this company, I have a lot of good things to say about the program. So if you can afford it, give it a shot.

Don't make any impulsive decisions -- look all over online for the best deals because you can save yourself a lot in program fees (the food cost is astronomical as it is without those extra fees on top of them). And remember -- there will always be some sort of sacrifice or major change in your eating choices and habits on ANY diet that you try. You are going to be able to eat some tasty foods, but you are not going to be able to go out binge drinking or eating every weekend. You are not going to be able to pick at foods that are not on the approved list. This will be the easiest diet you ever tried, but it will still involve effort. I wish everyone luck!

I lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks but you have to count calories (and exercise) if you want the steady weight loss they advertise but don't guarantee. They want you to follow the menu exactly and to leave the calorie counting to them, but if you do, you may find that you are consuming a lot more calories than you think. I counted calories for their 1200 calorie personalized menu, and even with their lowest calorie options, my calorie count was over 1300. Now I ignore the menu (and lie to my consultant!) and count calories. You will lose weight if you follow their menu too, just be prepared for a slower weight loss, which is what they want. It's a business. The longer you are on their program, the more products you buy and the more money they make. For me, it's money well spent. If you are disciplined enough to just count calories (which I am not), you could achieve the same results on your own.

I signed up for Jenny Craig. Waited on hold a LONG time as they instruct you to call to set up appointment with consultant to call you. They scheduled a consultant call. They never called me. I tried again to get through their phone lines -- It would either hang up on me or say, "Call volume too high right now." No one ever called me -- I had emailed in the meantime. When I finally got them on the phone, I had two months of $39 charges - FOR NOTHING, since I was not receiving services or using the website. The customer service rep would only refund $39, even though by her own admission, Jenny Craig had never had a consultant call me, as they promised to do. What a crappy experience.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

The Jenny Craig system combines nutrition and physical activity with counseling, to help clients change both their lifestyles and eating habits. Unlike some programs, the goal of Jenny Craig is for clients to reach their desired weight levels and no longer be reliant on the program's prepackaged foods, planned menus, or consultations to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Jenny Craig offers weight loss programs tailored to women, men, people with diabetes and seniors. To use Jenny Craig's system, clients pay a monthly fee to be assigned a personal consultant to help them create a personalized weight loss plan. Clients then purchase pre-packaged food items from over 100 menu options, eating five Jenny Craig meals or snacks a day and one snack from a list of approved options. The meals can be purchased at local Jenny Craig retail centers or online. The program guarantees results.

• Flexibility: A choice of on-site or at-home consultation options allows the customer flexibility. Some people work better face-to-face with a counselor, while others prefer to chat online or via teleconference in the privacy and comfort of their own homes.
  • Consultation: The program offers a weekly consultant for accountability and compliance. Every week your counselor will discuss your past week's results, create an activity plan to help meet your goals, plan for upcoming events like parties or dining out, and help you choose your Jenny Craig meals for the upcoming week.
  • No guesswork: Pre-packaged meals and snacks take the guesswork out of fat loss. Anyone who wants everything “spelled out” without any measuring, counting, or other sorting will appreciate this plan.
  • Carbohydrates: This diet might be best for those who are not concerned about following a low-carbohydrate diet. Some of the snacks and meals are high in carbohydrates and low in fiber, potentially triggering cravings, hunger, and weight loss resistance especially in people with blood sugar issues.
  • Ingredients: Many of the snacks and meals contain ingredients some dieters avoid, including enriched flour, sugar, non-fat milk, corn syrup, soybean oil, margarine and maltodextrin. While some dieters will want to avoid Jenny Craig's foods because of this, others will find the familiar ingredients and flavors help them stick to the diet over time.
  • Best for college students, new moms, busy adults and former athletes.

Compare Weight Loss Programs