2. Medical Alert Systems

4.4/5 (1270 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America provides at-home and on-the-go medical alert systems to help keep you safe and independent while living in your own home or community. Its medical alert systems provide 24/7 monitoring and access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Each system is also available with an optional fall detection pendant, which can sense a fall and connect you to an operator even if you cannot push your button.

Pros

• Multilingual operators
    • GPS and fall detection technology
    • Several medical alert system options
    • 30-day money-back guarantee

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
    • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several device options and a helpful caregiver app. Costs increase as services are added, but annual payment plans include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and discounted service.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I wear my Medical Alert all the time and I don't have any problem. I was 82 when I got it. I’m 86 now, and I live alone... I call in and check it every month and their staff has b...

Verified

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called… It was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and m...

Medical Alert products

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert helps you stay safe wherever you go with a wide range of products. Older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance; plus, Medical Alert buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting you comfortably wear yours in the shower.

The company’s Mobile System has wearable lanyard and bracelet options, and its Home System has wall buttons. Optional fall detection and a free mobile app create a comprehensive safety system that helps keep individuals safe and connected to help.

How much does Medical Alert cost?

All Medical Alert Home and Mobile systems come with the option to add fall detection for an additional $10 per month. Annual plans include a free month and free shipping.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
    Home Landline$22.95$19.95
    Home Cellular$32.95$29.95
    Mobile$42.95$39.95

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

The Medical Alert monitoring center is staffed by highly trained, multilingual operators who quickly answer calls to determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the innovative Medical Alert Connect Mobile App, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch with you and monitor your health and safety. The app lets any caregiver check your system status, contact list and testing schedule. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how you're doing and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it's automatically updated whenever the company's support team updates your information.

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert systems work?
    Medical Alert systems work by directly connecting you with an emergency operator during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, help is summoned and a family member or caregiver is contacted for you.
    Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
    Medicare plans do not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices.
    What is Medical Alert’s average response time?
    Medical Alert calls are answered in less than a minute by qualified, highly trained operators who will speak to you in your native language.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert system?
    You’ll need to sign a monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term service contracts are required.
    What is Medical Alert’s return policy?
    You can cancel your service and return your equipment at any time without charge by contacting Medical Alert customer service.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Alert monitoring service?
    An additional button can be purchased for $5 per month to be used by a spouse or anyone else who lives in your home. Available with home systems only.
    Where are Medical Alert monitoring centers located?
    All Medical Alert monitoring stations are located in the United States. The operators are trained, qualified and able to communicate in several languages.
    Do Medical Alert emergency response services require a landline?
    No. You can choose to set up your monitoring system through a landline if you have one, but wireless technology is also available.
    Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Medical Alert equipment is guaranteed to work. If it doesn’t, you can return it for a replacement through Medical Alert customer service.
    Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
    Yes. Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.
    Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
    Medical Alert medical systems are waterproof. You can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath.
    How much does Medical Alert cost per month?
    Medical Alert’s systems start at $19.95. Customers get discounts, free shipping and additional equipment when they choose the semiannual or annual payment plans.

Do we recommend Medical Alert?

Yes. Medical Alert services help keep people safe inside and outside of their homes by summoning help and notifying caregivers. The system is simple to set up and operate. The company also offers several payment plan options, a helpful caregiver app and a well-trained staff of emergency operators who can speak several languages. While costs can increase as services are added, the annual payment plan offers perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: May 31, 2021

We got Medical Alert late March. My husband is very ill and I didn't feel good for a few days. I told my husband when we went to bed that night, “Oh, I hope I feel better in the morning.” I woke up about 4 o'clock in the morning and could not get out of bed. I've tried off and on for two hours to get out of bed. I could raise up a little, and that was it. My hands and feet worked, but I couldn't get out of bed. My husband woke up and I said, “You need to call 911.” It ended up that my blood pressure was really low, and I had pneumonia and some other infection. I spent a few days in the hospital, and that really scared me. If I had been here alone, I would have just laid there and died. We decided to get Medical Alert.

We test the device once a month. They have me to push the Help button and then talk to me once a month for the test. They respond really quickly. The longest it's been was like 20 seconds before the person came on. Having Medical Alert makes me feel more confident. We got the one we wear around our neck because I didn't want something for my wrist. I feel like at night, I'd have better luck with around my neck. I didn't wanna get one that’s a phone because unless I have it in bed with me and could get it real simple, that wouldn’t have helped me.

The one I wear around my neck is really lightweight. You don't even know you have it. That's good, too because I've seen a couple of them on TV that I thought, “It looks like they’re wearing their cellphone around their neck.” I don’t think I want that. Initially, they told me that the device would be coming in the mail in five to 10 business days, and we got it two days later. I was really impressed. I had called Life Alert, and they’re well over $100 a month. We’re paying about 37 to Medical Alert. Also, they always know my name, check my address and stuff with me when I called to check it. So, they know who we are.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I’m 86 years old, I'm living alone, and my husband had just expired. I talked about getting Medical Alert before but I hadn't done it. Then, four days after that, I fell. I didn’t get hurt but I said to myself, “God, you get me up from here, I’m going to get Medical Alert.” And I did. So far, my time with Medical Alert has been good. One time, I called them because I was interested in getting the fall alert and I got put on hold. After 45 minutes, I had to go to the bathroom, so I said I’d call later. I’m just not used to staying on the telephone for 45 minutes. Then, they called an alarm because they couldn't get me and they felt something had happened to me. And here came all these medics out here, which was very nice, but I didn't need them.

I know that the system works though and it alerts my daughter as well as my grandson. My grandson’s in Bush, Louisiana, but he's in charge of everything. And my daughter works at a medical clinic and they'd call her. Then, they'd call them back, but sometimes, the Medical Alert team would be already on their way. And sometimes, 12 people would show up, which happened twice. But I thanked them for coming and I know I’m covered, so I’m okay.

At another time, they said the thing had gone off a couple times, but I didn't punch the button. I decided that the cords around it were too long. I’m short and I’m sure that if I got it close to the sink and that one was hanging down, I might turn it on. I didn’t want to do that, so I shortened the cords on each one of them and hadn’t had any more problems since. I could wear them around my neck and not worry. I just have to be careful because when you’re short and you’re getting up to the washing machine or around the kitchen, it can set the alarm off.

Other than that, my bill has gone up now. I had to pay $599 a year for both the fall thing and the Medical Alert. Then I got this thing about insurance and I don't need any more insurance on anything. However, they deducted $10 from my bank account and I wasn't too happy about that. But I hadn't been able to get ahold of anybody about that yet. Besides that, I have recommended Medical Alert to several friends because I felt like they needed it as well as I did.

Hi Bernice,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am sorry about your husband.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

At the time that I got my Medical Alert device, I was seeing a nurse practitioner. Since I lived alone, she thought I needed it and the children didn't object to me having it. I don't feel it's necessary but the children seem to think it is. My daughter-in-law kinda thinks I should have the one that automatically goes off if I fall but I haven't added it. Most of the time, I'm satisfied with it. I put it on every morning and take it off when I go to sleep. I know it's there and if I go out, I feel very confident. Comparing it to others, there's some difference that I like in one of them. But overall, it wasn't enough for me to feel like it was worth trying to change. But I can cancel this anytime I like and return the equipment to Medical Alert since I don't own it.

However, I set the device off too much. It's sensitive and sometimes it's very frustrating when it goes off. I've hit the bathtub when I'm scrubbing it so I either take it off or be very careful when I do that. One day, I was in the kitchen trying to make a pie and I don't know how I hit it. I was rolling dough. I had a phone call and they couldn't reach me. They reached my daughter. Before she could get back with them that I was fine, I had the EMTs here. They were very nice. One time, they couldn't find me. They called my daughter who happened to be in Florida. She told them I was supposed to be at a play with my granddaughter and that was where I was. I never did know that I had set it off 'til they told me and I still don't know how I set it off.

One thing I do dislike about this is you can't talk to somebody unless you're near your transmitter or have your transmitter with you. One company makes one that has the button you can push and also talk, but it's larger than what the round button is that you have to wear. Another thing is I don't like the black cord. I wish it was a lighter color. Also, one rep will say one thing and somebody else will tell me something else. You don't know who's right and who's wrong.

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please feel free to call customer service to ask about options, as we are always upgrading and introducing new accessory options.

Medical Alert by Connect America

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

The reception and everything is good. The first time I used my Medical Alert, I couldn't breathe very well. I just sat there for a minute to see if I would get there, but it didn't get any better. I stay by myself and the circumstances out here where I stay is a little difficult. So, I went on and called and used it. There was a lot going on here in Jackson and different alert emergencies were going on. So, it took the team a while to get here, but they finally came, picked me up and got me to the hospital. I know it's mainly when you fall or you can't get up or anything like that. But that particular time, because I stay alone, it was a good thing to have.

When I fell outside that particular day, it was hot, but I was sitting outside and I fell down, and when I went to stand, everything went blank. I was still in my walker. If it had not been for a neighbor here in my complex saw me hit the ground, I would've been just laying there. But I had hit the ground and hit my head, and he just so happened to see me, and that was a wake- up call then that I needed to try to find some kind of way to get me one to have. I don't walk all over my apartment with my phone with me. So, I may leave it in one room, fall in another room, and can't get to it. That was a wake-up call for me.

My children pushed me about it way before then that I need to have it because I had a tendency to fall having arthritis. It would sometimes sneak up on me and I could get up and then be okay, and next thing I know, I'm on the ground. A lot of places were so expensive, but I'm on a fixed income. I needed something that I could afford and make sure I have. I had to talk to my cardiologist before I could wear it. He said as long as I didn't put it on the device at all, it wouldn't bother me so I got it tied. When I put it on, it's a distance from the area where the device is. But other than that, I've been happy with it. I saw another friend of mine who has a life alert as well, but she is under different circumstances and she never had to charge it. I charge mine every day. But whenever the green light comes on, I know it's fully charged and everything. I try my best to keep it charged, so when I go out, if I had to use it, I'll be in good hands.

I would recommend Medical Alert to a friend. There's a lot of people that say they don't need and would say that they don't need it, and I tell them it's a good idea to have simply because if you're in a state where you fall or pass out somewhere, if you have underlying medical issues, it would be good to have because they may be no one around to help you.

Hi Patricia,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I had a different medical alert device for several years, but I hardly ever used it. Then, I switched over to Medical Alert because I called that other company and I didn't get any response. And they turned to find out that they used it with something not quite right, so I dropped them and switched to this one. Recently, I had an incident. It wasn't an emergency, but I was doing a test and nobody came on. Then somebody at the cellular people called me and asked if there was a problem. I told them there wasn't and they said that for some reason I couldn't hear them. They told me that they would have somebody call me and see if there was something wrong because this is a new phone system. It's now a land cell instead of a regular land phone and it's got lots of problems. I talked to somebody named Jessica last week and told her about them. But nothing's changed yet. The phone is the pits and I hate it.

Despite that, I don't have any problems with the Medical Alert. But in order to use it, I had to get a new piece of equipment which increased by $96 a year. And they were charging me something but their rep said that he'd reduce it, as long as I don't change. Maybe Medical Alert should contact the telephone company and tell them that their customer is not at all happy with their service.

Other than that, someone called recently and told me about a device that I could wear around my neck which would find me wherever. It wouldn't be just here in the house but I should not wear it at night. And that's because if I fall asleep, it would alert the world. I got it and it was kind of big. Then, I have a sleep problem. I get really tired and sleep all at different times. So I got to thinking that every time I go to sleep, that's going to be to be telling them that something is wrong. So I sent it back and I haven't got my $60 back yet. But when I get my Visa credit card statement, I'm sure it'll be on there

Hi Ruth,

I've forwarded your complaint. Someone from our escalation team will reach out to you to discuss.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: July 22, 2021

When I signed up with Medical Alert, their team was polite. I put my device on, and if it doesn't get bumped, I forget I even got it on. If it gets bumped, it notifies me that a fall has been detected, then there will be a response and then the response says that they are locating my location. The device is very touchy, but I understand why. But there's so many times like putting laundry in the washer, and I just bend over and that comes down the least little bit and touches the top of the washer, and it will set off. There were times when Tyrus, my little dog, has bumped it, fell on me and made it go off. It's very very sensitive, but I appreciate that if I should fall or something should happen.

Original review: July 13, 2021

If I'm outside and feel like I'm gonna fall, my Medical Alert device is there to protect me. The reps are very friendly with us.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Medical Alert's reps have always been good. The last time they were out here, they didn't work this lock on the front door and they were pounding on the garage door. My neighbor came over here and they said they were about break to in. Other than that, I'd tell others that they'd better get the device because it's helped me out.

Original review: July 7, 2021

The reps from Medical Alert were very nice and they explained everything to me. My device is good to have because sometimes I'm alone. It'll go off if I fall and to me, it works perfectly.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Medical Alert device is good. Having the device, I feel more like I have somebody in the house with me. I feel safer with it. If I fall and can't get up, I can just smash the button. The only problem l have is sometimes I touch it and don't want to. I've accidentally set it off two or three times but they’ve been real nice to me when I tell them I'm sorry.

Medical Alert Company Information