4.4/5 (1381 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America offers medical alert devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Systems come with 24-hour monitoring and provide access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Medical Alert has multiple products, including a fall detection pendant and a caregiver app. The company is a member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA).

Pros

• Multilingual operators
    • GPS and fall detection technology
    • 30-day money-back guarantee
    • No long-term contract required

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
    • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several system options. Just know that costs increase as services are added. Month-to-month service is available, but you can get a discount by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, I’m enjoying my device. It’s nice to know that someone's there at all times with you. Even though I know that nobody is here, Medical Alert is still here… Somebody calls e...

Verified

Medical Alert has been great and I can be more independent now that I do have this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be living alone… Once in a while, the device goes off by accident. I just...

Medical Alert systems

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert is a professional emergency response monitoring company. Its systems come with a wearable lanyard or wristband that connects to a monitoring center. You can set up your monitoring system through a landline or cellular connection, depending on the device you choose.

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

Medical Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring centers are staffed by operators who are trained to quickly answer calls. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help.

Once connected, operators determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch and monitor the device wearer’s safety.

The app lets any caregiver check your system status and contact list. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how the wearer is doing, and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it automatically updates whenever the company's support team changes your information.

Medical Alert cost

Medical Alert systems start around $20 to $40 per month, and there are no upfront equipment costs. You can save money by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan. Annual plans also include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
    Month-to-month cost*$22.95$32.95$42.95
    Monthly cost with annual or semiannual plan*$19.95$29.95$39.95
    Optional fall detection*$10 per month$10 per month$10 per month

*At the time of publishing

Medical Alert FAQ

Medical Alert systems connect you with a response coordinator at its monitoring center during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, they summon help by contacting a family member, caregiver or first responder for you, depending on the situation.
    Original Medicare does not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices. On the other hand, Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may cover them.
    You’ll need to sign a month-to-month monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term commitment is required. Paying on a longer-term basis can save you money, though.
    Medical Alert’s help buttons are waterproof, so you can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath. However, your base unit may not be waterproof.
    You can add a protection plan for $1 per month. The plan covers one replacement of your main system and up to two buttons if your original ones are lost or damaged during any 12-month period.
    Yes, Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.

Is Medical Alert worth it?

Medical Alert can help you or a loved one stay safe with a wide range of products. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance, so older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. Plus, Medical Alert’s emergency buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting users comfortably wear them in the shower.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

When I use the button, I would wear it and the team would call me if I need to charge it or not, and I would let them know. When my button would go off, I would tell them that the device just went off by mistake. They said that I would just hold it down for about two or three minutes and then release it. I did that and it was okay then. Then, if I needed them, I would call them and they would ask me if I'm alright, what's going on, and if they need to send someone out. It wouldn't be that long that they would send someone to help me.

One time, I was using my machine for breathing and my stomach was bothering me. But my elevator wasn't working and I had to go down the steps. It was about five or six of them and they said they could put me in a chair and strap me in, one in the front, one in the back, and they could take me downstairs. As bad as I felt, I could not let them do that as I've had problems with going downstairs. I said no and that my son could help me. They said, "What can your son do that we can't? And there's so many of us and there's only one of him." One of the gentlemen checked me out and asked if I really need to go and I said no.

Another time I went to sit on the side of my daughter's bed. It was an air mattress and it went down and I ended up on the floor and I couldn't get up. They tried to help me up but they couldn't. They asked what to do to help me and so I called the boys. They came and two or three of them lifted me off the floor. Then when I moved in the other apartment, I was asleep and I woke up and I was on the floor with the covers. I called the paramedics to come and get me, and it took three of them, one on each side and one behind me, and then they picked me up.

I was in a bad shape at another time and my blood pressure was up to 225. They told me that they would take me to the hospital and they didn't tell that time how much my blood pressure was. The only reason I found it out was after I got in the emergency room and then the nurses told me what it was. There was another time they had to stay because the hospital was full, had no rooms, and I had to be in the hallway. They did not leave me until the nurses in the emergency room got a bed for me to be in and got the equipment for me to use.

They checked me out in November. They came up first and the ambulance came out right behind them. They asked if I could walk to get on the little car in other room and I said yes and they helped me. When I got on there, they strapped me down. I asked them for something that would cover me up and they gave one. Even if I'm going from my home to a doctor and my insurance provides a ride for them to call, so I call a couple of days early and make the ride.

I feel safe with Medical Alert being there because they know how to carry and take care of me. They have the equipment that they can check with whatever is wrong with me and they run it up. If they see that I need to go to a doctor or to a hospital, they're gonna tell that they can take me, but it's up to me. They're a company that we need with a group of men that can get us out of an accident and the like. I just have one device that I need to send back, but they didn't send me the envelope, they just sent me a seal to put on there.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I've had it for a couple of years now. I tried it and I liked it. But now their system will change. So, I had to take a smaller system from them. It was a bigger one before with the red, white and blue machine. And now, they have the little one that if you fall down, it will send an alert. It also tells them wherever you are.

The satellite thing. One time, I was picking it up and moving it from my little table. I put it on my lap, but I held it up too high and I dropped it a bit and it set it off that quick. In the time before that, I forgot what I did, and it went off again. But the first time it did it, it took four minutes for Medical Alert to answer. And it was, "Well, I'm not having a heart attack." Because the machine kept saying, "We're trying to meet your location." And I felt, "Well, the old system they had, they knew where I live."

I'm in a wheelchair so there is always somebody with me. I asked Medical Alert if I could switch it back and they said no. This is the system they have now. But the cost is the same and it has always been a good system. I just got it a month and a half ago. I was just wondering why it took so long. Because when it went off to me, the rep called in monthly to make sure they check it was working. And I did that and it was answered right away.

I've had a couple of times when an ambulance came over the years I've had it. Nobody was here with me and I needed help because I got really sick. They came out here, so that was good. I've used it and it works because the ambulance and the paramedics are usually within less than three miles of my house. They come fast.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

My son got Medical Alert for me. I've taken over the payments of it. But they were concerned about me living alone, so he applied for it. I hit it once just going by a table, and a voice came on the machine. It was just an accident that I hit it. I just hit the clear button and I got no calls on it. So, it didn't even go through, so it's fine. But the service has been fine. And any of the representatives I've talked to have been polite and helpful.

My understanding is that if I use it, if I call, that the ambulance service has to come. Two of my children live right in town. They would be here quickly. We live in a small town, volunteer EMTs, and fire people. There should be a step between calling for this and an ambulance showing up at your door. The children should be notified first and let them make the decision. And maybe that's a waste of time, but it's a waste of time to call a whole squad here when there's no emergency.

There's a light blinking on the device and it's low power. And the only problem I have with that when the power goes off is the people that Medical Alert is supposed to respond to might get a message from them 24 hours later that something's wrong with me. We know the power was off for five minutes a day ago. And when my children got the message, they didn't respond to it. I talked to someone who said, “Oh, yes. We will connect you. You need to have that machine replaced.” And they said, “Well, we don't replace. When it's only five years old, we don't replace them.” I got nowhere. So, I just don't pay much attention to it. But it just makes the children feel better for me to have it. So, I'm very grateful that I can still live alone and I'm able to be somewhat mobile.

Original review: May 31, 2021

We got Medical Alert late March. My husband is very ill and I didn't feel good for a few days. I told my husband when we went to bed that night, “Oh, I hope I feel better in the morning.” I woke up about 4 o'clock in the morning and could not get out of bed. I've tried off and on for two hours to get out of bed. I could raise up a little, and that was it. My hands and feet worked, but I couldn't get out of bed. My husband woke up and I said, “You need to call 911.” It ended up that my blood pressure was really low, and I had pneumonia and some other infection. I spent a few days in the hospital, and that really scared me. If I had been here alone, I would have just laid there and died. We decided to get Medical Alert.

We test the device once a month. They have me to push the Help button and then talk to me once a month for the test. They respond really quickly. The longest it's been was like 20 seconds before the person came on. Having Medical Alert makes me feel more confident. We got the one we wear around our neck because I didn't want something for my wrist. I feel like at night, I'd have better luck with around my neck. I didn't wanna get one that’s a phone because unless I have it in bed with me and could get it real simple, that wouldn’t have helped me.

The one I wear around my neck is really lightweight. You don't even know you have it. That's good, too because I've seen a couple of them on TV that I thought, “It looks like they’re wearing their cellphone around their neck.” I don’t think I want that. Initially, they told me that the device would be coming in the mail in five to 10 business days, and we got it two days later. I was really impressed. I had called Life Alert, and they’re well over $100 a month. We’re paying about 37 to Medical Alert. Also, they always know my name, check my address and stuff with me when I called to check it. So, they know who we are.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

About early January, someone talked me into getting a new button that was supposed to be sensitive in case I fall down and can't reach my regular button. So, I agreed to it. But later, I had not received the button. So at that point, I called and a representative helped me. They told me that they were sorry about that, that they'd FedExed the button, but it never got to me. So they sent me another one.

When I first had this new button and I was wearing it at night, about four times within a couple of weeks, I got woke up during the night because the button had gone off, apparently. But I didn't hear it because I'm totally deaf. I have to wear hearing aids and I take them off at night. The reps at Medical Alert called me in the middle of the night and asked me if everything was all right. They responded really well, but I complained because I didn't know what I was going to do about this thing. If the medical alert system was going to make be calling all the time, it was not going to be good for me.

The woman that I talked to suggested that I just wear my old button at night and that was okay, but that kind of defeats the whole thing. Right now, I'm wearing both of them and I'm well covered. But I've been a little bit disappointed with that new button and I feel like it was not needed that bad. But otherwise, I can't complain about the company. I've been with them for so long. I'm 94 years old and I started with them when I was 80. My children talked me into it because I live alone and the few times that I've had a problem, they've been good and very quick about connecting the people that I needed for help, like the EMTs. And they stay on the line until they make sure that I'm cared for, so that has been great.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. I just call and test with the team then I wear my device around my neck all the time.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I've tested the device one time and the response was excellent. I feel more safe with it. They told me that it was $20 a month but when I got the bill, it was $40.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

The Medical Alert agent I spoke with was nice. However, the device is a nuisance. It gets in the way of the seat belt and just about to turn it on every time I forget to unbuckle a seat belt.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

If I'm going to be out away from where my family doesn't expect me, then I have the device with me and I feel more secure. It goes around my neck and I'm comfortable with it. I haven't tried it. But for the purpose that I got it for, it's fine so far.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I feel comfortable having this device. I wear it all the time. I don't wear it to bed, though. Every time it's gone off, I've dropped it or tested it, and the agents answered me. So far, so good.

Medical Alert Company Information