4.56/5
Based on 562 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, the largest independent medical alarm company in North America offering lifesaving at home and on the go medical alarm solutions to consumers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide. Medical Alert allows customers to live independently and safely while staying in their own homes and communities. If help is needed, you can push a button and connect with SIA-certified monitoring professionals at UL-accredited, 5 diamond, fully redundant emergency monitoring centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fall detection is available on every system so even if you can't push your button you can get help. Medical Alert is recommended by leading hospitals, home healthcare agencies, and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert you can enjoy independence at home or on the go. In any emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 23, 2018

566 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

I dropped the Medical Alert device on the floor the other day and it works. I accidentally dropped it, I got a response for it and I was satisfied with the response time. However, I don’t like having to take it off when I go to bed at night. When I had my old one, I can leave it on all the time. But this one, the instruction says take it off when you go to bed. That’s the only negative part of it. I’m happy with it and I’d recommend it.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I got Medical Alert for my own peace of mind and my family’s as well and I’ve had it for five years. When I accidentally pushed the button, the alarm went off so I stopped what I was doing to turn it off. I wear it around my neck and I know that help is always there so I don’t worry. I'm just happy that I have it and I would advise anyone who is alone to have one.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I’m getting older. I’m 85 now and my daughter said that I should have some security, so she got me a Medical Alert. I'm using it around my neck and it's comfortable. I keep it under my shirt and I know that I have it available. I’m satisfied with it.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks so much for the review! We love our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2018

I started service recently, with fall detection. From my home, test three times, first the call rang then shut off. 2nd it went thru & I told operator I was testing. Tried later third time and it rang then again disconnected. Next day I test it at my place of work a mile away, same results. 1 time the call went through and it worked, the other two times it rang and said it was finding my locations, then disconnected. Their network leaves me in life risk, I just had 3 mini strokes in the last week. Their equipment will not keep retrying, if you get serious sick, you have to be fully alert and remember to keep trying the button, see if it works, if not, move to another location try again, etc etc, UNTIL YOU GET THRU OR YOU ARE DEAD.

Medical Alert response

Hi Gregory, I understand Susan called you to discuss your service issues. I'm sorry there is poor cell service in the area causing these issues.

Susan called back after your disconnection to let you know where you can return the unit and we will refund your money.

Please get a tracking # because once we have that, we can initiate the return process.

Susan did try to call you again later, but it goes right to your VM.

Again, I am sorry for your experience.

Sincerely,

Original review: May 11, 2018

I fall a lot and my daughter thought it would be a very good idea to get a Medical Alert device. I’ve been very happy with them until they brought out this fall button for if you fall, it automatically gives an alert thing. I called them. I think they need to work it out a little better before they put it on market. The girl that talked to me into getting it didn’t give me instructions well or how. They said we have to wait a minute for it to take effect. I fell hard and it did not go off. This morning, I just barely test it on my phone and it went off. I don’t know how many times I had false calls because it’s very sensitive. So I’m not really happy with that.

But they gave me a free six months to try and work it out to see if I could get used to it. Also the Medical Alert team that answers the call are just fine. They answer right away and ask if they could help me and just reassure that I don’t need help. They’re very good on that. Having the device is a comfort to a degree. The basic alert system is fabulous. I’m very really satisfied with them except for this new device. Maybe I just have to get used to it. With the old button, you have to press for help. With the new button supposedly, it will handle itself and it does it very well when I don’t need them. I hate them to go through the whole system though.

Hi Gillian,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: May 10, 2018

My children live away from me, and I don’t have anybody around here, only friends. I live alone, and my children wanted to make sure that I have something 'cause I could fall. I'm 92 years old, and I'm doing the best I can. And I fell a couple years ago. I now have a Medical Alert and I wear it around my neck every day. I feel very comfortable with it and I'd recommend it. It's a good thing especially for people who live alone. It gives people a little bit of security and makes them feel better when they go to sleep at night.

Stay safe.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have my Medical Alert for about seven years now. I have the necklace that goes around my neck and it would pick up anywhere I am if I fell. The one that I had before would just reach out so far. I'm very happy and content with my device. One time, I used it when I was outside. I brought it out to the mailbox and coming back, I slipped and fell. My son was here and the Medical Alert team called an ambulance. They came and I was okay. I wasn’t hurt. I liked how Medical Alert responded and I would recommend them to any elderly person that has to be at home by themselves.

Hi Frances,

I am so glad you are ok.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2018

I have Medical Alert and when I needed their service, I talked to somebody on the speaker and they sent people out in 10 to 15 minutes. However, they didn't wanna take blame for when my Medical Alert wasn't working and I explained it to them. I spoke to a lady and she said she would credit me for it and that I would only have to pay $60 a month. I also explained to her that I do not want them all billing me for different things as I'm getting about 5 bills a month for different stuff. I don't want my bill like that and I want it all in one. She said, "Okay," but they called for some money, about $85. I asked what was going on and they don't want to acknowledge what I'm saying. What I want them to do is for me to send it back because I get tired of them calling me every day about the Medical Alert. Now, I don't want the Medical Alert and I want to go with another company.

Medical Alert response

Hi Lillie! Susan from our escalation team left a message for you to call her back to discuss this complaint. In the meantime, she has updated your account and billing. There is now a credit of 47.94 on your account.

She left a message on your cell phone, because your house phone voice mail

is not set up. Hopefully you will see this, and check your voicemail so you can call her back and sort this out.

Have a great weekend!

Customer Reviews Manager

Medical Alert by Connect America

Original review: May 7, 2018

I thank the Medical Alert service because it helps me good. I'm alone a lot because my husband works and goes out, and I got people but they're also doing other things. I like the Medical Alert very much and someone is always available if I need anybody. It's really good service and everything is going wonderful.

Hi Doris,

Thanks so much for the feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to respond here.

Original review: May 6, 2018

My husband was in the nursing home so I was left alone. I got a Medical Alert and it seems to be all right so I would keep it. And we haven't had any trouble with them. Now, I just found out that I have cancer and so my husband can use it.

Hi Lee,

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

All best,

Original review: May 6, 2018

I live alone, have had a stroke and only have a leg and an arm, and I fall down a lot once in a while. And having Medical Alert makes me feel a little bit safer. I had used the push button once a month and it worked. But one of the parts fell out and I talked to a guy from Medical Alert and he sent me a whole new button that I could wear around the neck and it was automatic. But I couldn't hook it up myself and it didn't work. Also, I got a friend on Medical Alert and their rep said I was gonna get a check, but I never got it. Other than that, Medical Alert is a winner.

Hi Archie,

I read your review and passed along your comments to our escalation team.

I am glad to know Susan reached out to you and she will call you back on Thurs. when your caregiver will be there to help you test and activate if necessary.

Susan is also going to send an extra button as a backup. This way we know you are covered.

Thanks,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: May 5, 2018

I've had good experience with Medical Alert and I've been recommending it to some friends. I've had used it several times and I got help right quick. My interactions with the Medical Alert team have been fine. It's around my neck all the time and I feel safer.

Hi Nancy,

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have Medical Alert and it was perfect in the few times that I've used it. The service was A1 and I'm very pleased with the choice I made

Hi Evelyn,

Original review: May 4, 2018

I did some research on the internet and the price of Medical Alert was very reasonable. Plus, I like the interaction that I had with their team right from the beginning. It was very easy to e-mail them and get good quality information without having to spend a lot of time on the phone. The Medical Alert was mostly for my mother's husband broke his hip in December of 2016 and we purchased it in anticipation of him coming home. But, unfortunately, that didn’t work out. And now, although my mother is still independent and doing very well, she is here alone so we’re glad to have it. I live right next door to her but I go to work and she is home alone most evenings and nights. So, it’s a comfort to know that she has it and I feel better when I go to work.

She wears the alert button around her neck right under her blouse. There were a couple of times that her little Yorkshire Terrier tripped it a couple of times by pushing the button on her when she picks him up. But the staff have been really wonderful and she tells them what’s going on when they call and everything has been fine. Three months ago, the notification device has been improved so that it actually notices falls. The team has been fabulous whoever we talk to. Medical Alert is very easy to use and anyone could learn how to use it. The monthly test goes very smoothly and the speaker works very well from most portions of the house. If you talk really loud when they’re asking and for the most part, it suits her needs very well. Overall, it has been a very positive experience and we would recommend Medical Alert to anyone who needs this type of assistance, particularly for people how are living alone.

Hi Paula.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: May 3, 2018

I had the Medical Alert on my wrist for two years, but it's only been one time that I had to call and use it. It's my first medical alert service and I got it because I live alone and it's like having someone here to help me.

Original review: May 2, 2018

As I get older, I thought it might be possible that I should have something. So, I got the Medical Alert. The company itself is okay but I had a problem with the thing I wear around my neck. I pushed the button to test it and it said to call them if the test failed. When I tried to do that, it got the paramedics out here by mistake and I was embarrassed. Medical Alert's reps were nice though and I don't have any complaints. They said they were gonna send me a new button and right now, I'm waiting for it to come.

Hi Patricia,

Please call if there are any issues with you new button.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I’m 92 years old and I live alone. Also, I had fallen. It was not enough to injure myself, but enough to warn me that it might happen later, so I got the Medical Alert. I talked to a lady who added something on to the thing and she was very nice. I got the device around my neck and I haven’t had any trouble with it. My daughter comes in occasionally and she tested it three times. As far as I know on how it was supposed to work, their response time was very good.

Hi Nelson,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: May 1, 2018

I read up on several medical alert services and I picked Medical Alert. I used the device when I fell in the garage and their response time was fine. The one who came to get me couldn't find the door. He went to the east side of my house and there's no door but if he had just looked when he drove into the drive, he would have seen me lying in the garage at his way out but he didn't. But anyway, that was all right and he found me. So, the device works fine.

Hi Verline,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 30, 2018

With my age mainly and if I fall, I need something for help, so I have a Medical Alert device. It’s a bracelet, not a necklace. I like it and I don’t like something flapping around my neck. I keep it on my wrist day and night, and I hardly remember that it’s there. I’m supposed to have it checked every month and I had the reps call once to check it. As far as I know, it’s working fine.

People keep warning older people on being careful about falling and I don’t wanna break a hip. Before I got my alert device with the help button, I was washing the lower window on the storm door one day and I fell back. I didn’t fall far, but I've had both knees replaced and I couldn’t get up. What a time I had until somebody came and it took two people to get me up. I’m not fat, but I'm clumsy. Since I've gotten my alert device, I've had a feeling of security. I know that if I need help, all I have to do is push that help button. I would tell a friend that having Medical Alert is the thing to do.

Hi Freda,

Original review: April 29, 2018

I’ve had wonderful experience with Medical Alert. I’ve had to use my device a couple of times and they came right away. I wear my device around my neck all the time even when I’m taking a shower, and I feel safer. But when I’m putting my clothes in the dryer or the washer, I bump it and it rings. The string is long and I had to try to tie it in a knot, but it’s all right. I recommended Medical Alert to one of my friends and so, she got one and she started wearing it, but she’d take it off when she takes a shower. And I said, “Oh. Please, Mabel. Don’t ever take that off. It’s waterproof. And what if you fell in the shower?” Medical Alert is good the way it is.

Hi Evanell,

I am so happy you are pleased with your Medical Alert and feel safe wit it.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I live alone, and I garden a lot. I've got a hillside and I don’t wanna be up there on the hillside, and fall and break my leg. I then got a Medical Alert device. My kids are pretty close to me, and they come every day or every other day, but I could still be lying up there for 40 hours. I take the device off when I go somewhere 'cause I don’t want the string hanging around my neck. I've had also pressed the device accidentally when I was gardening, but that was the only time.

Then I had a yellow alarm, so I called Medical Alert, and the woman I talked to had me test one of the two necklaces that I have. She said one of them has a low battery, so she sent one out. She said when I get it, I should call her, but I've been so busy. And I've mixed up the two things, so I don’t know which one has the low battery. But that woman was very nice and helpful.

Hi Shirley,

Original review: April 28, 2018

My experience with Medical Alert has been positive. I went with them because I was accustomed to hearing some of my friends and people discussing it and I thought that when you are alone, you would need an extra friend and Medical Alert was the friend. I always kept it within reaching distance. However, since I moved to a condominium with someone on call 24 hours downstairs on the desk because it is a senior residence, I don't have the device any longer. Nevertheless, having it sort of takes away a feeling of being alone. I was satisfied, and I'd recommend them.

Hi Sadie,

Original review: April 28, 2018

Medical Alert is a very good thing to have and it could be lifesaving. I have the one in the pocket and the one I have on a necklace. While my day-to-day difficulties include falling, I feel more confident now that I have Medical Alert. I've had pleasant interactions with their team and I’m very satisfied with the experience with the button.

Hi Harriet,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 27, 2018

I got a Medical Alert device to be safe, so I would have a button to press if I fell and their team was very nice to me when I spoke with them.

Hi Catherine,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 26, 2018

I live alone so I decided to get a Medical Alert and I've had it for 11 years now. Anyone I've spoken to has been very helpful and nice. And their response time was very good. So far, I feel as safe as I did the first day and I have neighbors and friends to take care of me. But if I ever do need it, I can just push the button and I will be able to talk to somebody. However, I have a lot of issues with the new one. It's made out of Velcro and it sticks, it's not good. The other ones, I wear it around my wrist because I'm allergic to the one around my neck. And this Velcro keeps tearing apart and it's not half as good as the imitation leather was. Other than that, everything is fine.

Hi Doris,

Please give a call to see if we can help with the velcro issue.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 25, 2018

I'm 82 years old and I have trouble with my legs and I could fall very easily so I got a MedicAlert. But I have a Medical Alert now which is $84.50 a month and it's much more expensive because the other one was $170 for six months. But Medical Alert is better because I have a fall system on this one. It has a pendant that has a fall sensor and a GPS. So, if I'm wearing it and I fall somewhere outside, somebody will come get me. I wore the bracelet all the time in the house because I'm by myself most of the time. In fact, I catch myself leaving the house with it still on my wrist and going places and it's not gonna work on that far distance but it's like wearing a wristwatch. You don't realize it's even there. What bothers me the worst is when I go take a shower in my old-fashioned tub, I feel insecure. But with this on my wrist, I feel much better.

Fortunately, I haven't had to use my Medical Alert and I hope I never have to. But a couple of times when it went off accidentally, they responded very speedily and they were very courteous. I had a gentleman and I assured him that I had done it accidentally. So, it was no problem. I tried to call them today because I was gonna question my account and my call wouldn't go through. It would ring and then it would ring like a busy signal, so I'm not sure if their phone's not working right or what.

Hi Fay,

I will have someone reach out to you to see if you still need assistance.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 24, 2018

I'm 89 years old and I'm not very strong. I'm using Medical Alert and it's comfortable. I wear it around my neck all the time. I put it on my neck in case I fall. The one that's mounted on the wall fell out of the wall but I had it taped back. When the hurricane came, the electricity stopped and everything went crazy. I tried to get a hold of somebody because the device was buzzing off. I also told them not to send somebody out. The person I talked with was a young man and he was very polite and nice. It worked out all right. I've recommended lots of times Medical Alert to others but they don't get it. I guess Medical Alert is expensive. But Medical Alert is really good. They're keeping up on all the things I need to hold on to.

Hi Phyllis,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 23, 2018

My Medical Alert has worked very good for me. I have used it twice already since getting it last October. I got a walker given to me by the veterans and it has four wheels and brakes on the rear wheels and it folds up and I can sit down on it. If I turn around, stop it, I can sit down a little on its armrest. It is made from Carbon, so it's not even metal. I can get a hold of both sides and pick the thing straight up in the air. That's how wide it is.

I sleep on the couch every night, and the phone rang and it was about seven feet away. The cord won't reach any further. So, when I got in the walker, it left me. I stood up and I didn't have it locked in the wheels and I gradually went down to the floor. I tried to get up and get the chair. But I absolutely could not get in my wheelchair. I took a cushion out and tried to crawl up the lowest part and I could not lift my body. I laid there and then I called my friends but they didn't answer. So then I called on the Medical Alert and the paramedics came and they were outside my door and the door was locked. They asked me if I was all right, and I yelled that I was okay, but I just couldn't get up and I was on the floor and couldn't unlock the door. So I told them combination for the padlock on the porch and they opened the door and got my key and came in and they stayed about half hour to make sure I was okay.

And then another time, I fell and I called the paramedics and the door was unlocked and they got me up and they always stayed a while to be sure that I was all right. I'm an old man and having the med alert around my neck no matter where I go here in this house gives me a peace of mind that you can't buy. There's nothing that makes me feel more comfortable than this med alert.

Hi Jackson,

I am so glad you love your Medical Alert!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 22, 2018

Several years ago, I fell in the yard and I called my daughter and she said she couldn't get here for half an hour and the neighbors that were on my list weren't home. Medical Alert responded right away. Within 25 minutes, the fire department was here and I was on my way to the hospital. I live alone and the device is really worth it. I’ve only had to use it once but it’s giving me so much confidence. I wear it around my neck and I wear it all the time, night and day. I've worn it so long I don't even know that's in there. And I live in the country and I have a yard, and it gives me the confidence that I can go outside. I have recommended Medical Alert to people. I told to somebody the experience I had of getting help so quickly, and she has the device now. So, I felt pretty good about that 'cause just like I told her, I was recommending something that I had used and I knew it worked.

Hi Ella,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: April 19, 2018

It is important especially for older people to have the Medical Alert device available to them. I was 88 years old when I got mine. I had both of my knees replaced at the same time, and my son-in-law and daughter insisted I have one. They set it up 10 years ago and for a long time, it had worked fine. I checked in periodically like the Medical Alert team had suggested that I do. But in the last six months, it seemed that there were more problems.

At first, the device just plain went bad and they replaced it. I got a new one two months ago and the lady from Medical Alert said I should check in like I used to do. But the very first time I checked in, instead of them coming on and asking if I was all right, all of a sudden I had all this commotion out in front of my house. The fire department was out there. I was disgusted and embarrassed. It's very disturbing when you are just checking in like you're supposed to and the fire department shows up. But my son called them about the problems I was having and I think they've all been taken care of.

Hi Luella,

It is very important! We agree.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to respond today.

Stay safe.

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Connect America, Medical Alert and/or Alarm Company (Connect America) provides emergency monitoring and home alarm services to aging adults across the United States who have medical conditions but want to live independently at home. Choose from an annual, semi-annual or monthly plan.

• On-the-go option: Enjoy the security Connect America offers even when you aren’t inside your home with their convenient on-the-go option. This mobile device comes with a lanyard and belt clip and is GPS enabled.

• Easy in-home installation: Your Medical Alert system is easy to set up. Simply plug the base into any wall outlet, connect your phone cord and turn it on.

• Emergency alert bracelet or pendant: Wear your emergency alert bracelet or pendant at all times to have quick and easy access to help. Simply push the button and get connected through your base.

• Free brochure: Send away for a free brochure to learn more about MedicalAlert’s system.

• Wireless system available: Homes that do not have a landline can still enjoy the peace of mind that comes from Medical Alert thanks to their wireless emergency response system. This includes a base unit and an emergency pendant or bracelet.

• Best for: GreatCall devices are best for caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information