4.55/5
  • 1 star
Based on 323 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert systems deliver access to emergency help whenever and wherever you are. You’re able to wear your alert bracelet or pendant at all times. If help is needed, push the button and you'll be connected immediately to one of their operators. They’ll make sure you get the assistance you need and stay in contact until help arrives. With Medical Alert, you’ll be able to enjoy your independence by choosing a product that works best with your lifestyle.

If you’re in an emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

328 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I've been very satisfied with Medical Alert. I picked a number of different organizations and I mailed them for information and I ended up choosing Medical Alert. I'm 82 and my children insisted I get it because I still climb ladders to do things. They're in Pittsburg and in Maryland. This was a way of making sure I would be taken care of. Medical Alert calls me when my alarm goes off accidentally and their response time is very quick. They also talk me through at the end of the month when I try it to make sure it's working. Plus they're very courteous and concerned.

I put the device around my neck but I have to put it inside my bra because it goes off when I bend over and it hits the sink. It's very sensitive. They called me twice when this went off when it dropped off the bed. Evidently it went through a process where they would assume that I was falling. I'm very pleased with them and would pass information about them to a friend.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I'm diabetic and I have high blood pressure and I just recently had emergency heart surgery. So being here by myself, plus I'm unsteady on my feet, it's scary. With my Medical Alert I know someone will come and check. The device is comfortable and I wear it all the time around my neck. I have two buttons -- one of which goes to the alarm system.

I mainly wear the Medical Alert when I'm out because I'm going out my door to go get my car and the next thing I know I'm on the ground. However my Medical Alert goes off a lot and I told them that if you fart it goes off and sometimes I don't even know that it's triggered. But they’re very efficient as far as responding as soon as it goes off, and they call right away.

Last week they had the fire company, EMT's and the police here because it went off twice and then it went off a third time and they couldn't get a hold of me and I didn't even know it. They called my sister and they sent all the departments here. I'm very pleased with Medical Alert and I feel very secure now that I have the service. I recommended Medical Alert to my neighbor next door because she's 98 and she lives by herself. I told her that the Medical Alert would be the best thing for her.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I'm 89 years old and I live by myself in the country. One of my sons talked to Medical Alert and got me one of their products as a safety device. Having it helps my peace of mind a lot and my doctor said she's glad I have it. Otherwise, my children might not have allowed me to live in my home by myself. It's an assurance for them that I'm okay. It also enables me to live in a familiar situation as I thoroughly enjoy the quietness of my home and my independence in it. I'm happy for me.

There were a couple of times that I had to call for help and use the Medical Alert. Before my husband died, he had Alzheimer's. He fell one time and I could not get him up. I pressed the button and the team’s response seemed to take a long time. But it might be because I had just worked myself to exhaustion. He was in the edge of the woods and I cut all the vines then put my walker down there trying to get him to pull up on my walker and walk back. I also had a false alarm several weeks ago at the opening day of hunting season. It was a suspicious looking situation when two vehicles stopped and communicated in front of my driveway so I called for help. But it turned out to be some hunters and the one that stopped there was my nephew. I still am embarrassed by it but I appreciated the Medical Alert team for answering that call soon and for coming. They called the police who then came and checked.

Last night, I had a false alarm again. I was trying to get undressed to go to bed, then I struggled with something and touched that button. Before that, one time I was sitting here studying my son's school lesson and the thing went off, too. I must have reached out to pick up a book and hit the button. I've had those two false alarms lately to which I was sorry. Medical Alert's reps have been responsive, polite and helpful. They've done well and if anybody asks, I would recommend Medical Alert.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My mother has an account with them. 6 Months ago I sent them a letter to cancel. They never responded even after several phone calls about returning the unit. Now after more than 7 months, they are calling me and my husband for payment. I have offered to send the unit back but they keep telling me we have to make payment of $200.00 or they can't close the account. My mother is 93 years old and in a nursing home and cannot pay a bill that she does not owe. This company has said they will keep calling me and my husband even though we are not on the account. Very bad and unethical. Please do NOT do business with them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I’ve fallen a lot and my children wanted me to get a Medical Alert. I wear it wherever I go and I hang it up at night so no child can reach. I’m bumping it once in a while and it's easy to go off. I depend on it and I feel confident with it. When I had an actual emergency, we needed it and I enjoy the emergency response they provided me. I have it for two years now and I'm very well satisfied with it. I'd have anybody that would be in my condition to have one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I am by myself a lot and I have a congestive heart failure so I got a Medical Alert. It's here in the house here and I feel okay having it available. I've used the button that comes with it to call in and check that it's working and their response was okay as well. Overall, my experience with the Medical Alert team was good.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I have mobility problems and balance issues and I feel more assured having the Medical Alert. Their team has been friendly and helpful too.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I’ve had Medical Alert for a long time and I feel more comfortable with it. Their team has been very nice and always polite and they've taken care of everything. One time, I pushed the device for the EMT and their response was very quick. I'd recommend it to others.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

When I used the Medical Alert, it was okay. I kept seeing it advertised and thought it would be something that would help me. I had it for four weeks and it helped with some of the things that I was doing so it was good. If I had it on my wrist and I’m in the kitchen cooking, it would get water all over, so I wore it around my neck instead. If something happened, all I have to do is use my button. So, I keep it with me. Now, I got this to help me and not to worry about trying to get somebody. I would recommend Medical Alert to some of my friends and my relatives.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I live alone and it's good to know that if I get into a situation where I need help I can get it at the press of a button. I feel more secure with Medical Alert. But recently I was looking into replacing it with a Canadian one that I was told would be cheaper. However when I spoke to the Medical Alert people they said they would lower the rate to match the Canadian one so it's all been quite good. The reps were quite knowledgeable and very helpful too. I've had a few false alarms as well but my experiences have all been good with Medical Alert.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had a fall but not a serious one and that alerted me to try Medical Alert. With the device, I'm just more confident and I don't have to worry about if I were to fall. It has become a part of my lifestyle. I wear it around my neck when I'm awake and I wear the wristband when I'm asleep. I've had the device for about six months and it does what it’s supposed to do.

Resolution response: Dec. 16, 2017

It took contact with the president of the company to get the check. He made it happen. thank you.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017
Because my wife no longer needed the equipment, I contacted Medical Alert and was told to ship back the equipment for a pro rata refund. I shipped it and it was received by the company on Oct 4. It turned out that she had only used the unit for 6 months. I was quoted a refund of $269.94 and that it would be credited to my card in 10 days. Having heard nothing, I recontacted on 10/24 the refund section and was told that the sum would be returned by 11/24. On 11/28, after much anguish I was finally ably to speak to an agent. He stated that the refund would be on my card the next day. In closing I wish to say that I am not accustomed to being lied to by so many people. My impression after all this is that the company must be in financial difficulty and this is one way to improve the bottom line.

Next day and day after...nothing.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My doctor wanted me to have Medical Alert. I live alone so he recommended it. And my interaction with Medical Alert turned out great. They were nice and informative. My Medical Alert device has been fine for me but I hope I never need it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

First let me say that my mom had Medical Alert for many years and thankfully only had to use it once and it worked as it was supposed to. I would not recommend this company for the reasons below. The problem is their customer service. Once I had a billing issue and the only reason it was resolved was because I posted a negative comment on social media. They were more than happy to help me then.

In February my mom passed away. I contacted Medical Alert and returned the equipment. In May Medical Alert charged my credit card for the annual fee. I had to challenge the charge through my credit card company. It was removed from my credit card. That's when the 'Delinquency Notices' started coming. I called the company, told them what happened and was told it would be taken care of. Now it is November and my mother is still receiving notices.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My Medical Alert works fine. If you go down and you got something, you can get people to come and assist you. My device is like a cell phone which I have on a lanyard and wear. It's part of my life now. Sometimes I would trigger the device but it’s mostly accidental and people have always responded. One time, the police showed up and they said that they got a call to come here. I told them that I accidentally triggered it and I didn’t realize that they were going to show up.

I once had to go to the hospital. We sent USB alarm and the EMT's came and they took me away in an ambulance. They tried to be down to about three minutes from the time they received the call to the time that they were able to get to my house in Palo, Alto. The ambulance driver went across the oncoming traffic and my son said that it was like the parting of the Dead Sea. It took six minutes from the time they got to my house to the time they got me to Stanford to put stents in my heart.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have the wristband and the one I wear around the neck. However, I don't use it very often because I'm not here most of the day. By the time I come home, I'm ready for bed and I don't wear it in bed because it's bulky and it's uncomfortable moving around. Also, it's a lot of money for me because I'm on my own supporting my husband in a home which I have to pay for, so I might hand my Medical Alert in.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have Medical Alert for about two years now and it has helped me out a lot. My children got it for me but I've been paying for it. I test the button just when Medical Alert's reps would like to have it and they've responded well. Talking with their team has been great. I've used the device six times and I've never had a complaint about it. When I had an emergency, they sent somebody out right away. First, they called my son or my granddaughter, then they sent the fire department over here. I live about five blocks from the fire station. I've got a blind spot in my house and if I'm in there, I can't talk to my Medical Alert. They can't understand me or they can't hear me. But they'll send somebody out immediately anyway. I wear the device on my arm and having it makes me feel safer since I live by myself.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I live alone, I'm 85, and I have fallen. I have used the Medical Alert device twice and their response time is excellent and they came quickly. However, I'm not very pleased with my device. The bracelet that I wear keeps falling off my hand as it's too big. I called them up and I asked if they could send me another one. They told me no and that this is the only one they have that's compatible with the service I have. Also, when I pressed the button to check it out, I could barely hear them. I called them up to see if they could make it louder. They told me that it's just what it is and that if they don't hear me, then they'll telephone me. But that's not what I want. Their reps are very nice but I don't like the service.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My husband had a severe fall two years ago and again last year so his visiting nurse practitioner suggested that we get one of these buttons from Medical Alert. He stays in the house most of the time but I had felt secure with Medical Alert that he can smash the button if anything happens. We had a problem at the beginning when we had been told that we would have two buttons plus the GPS. It didn’t work that way so they had to redo it because we're both using the buttons. We needed two of the GPS kind and the first one they sent was just the original kit that had only one button and no GPS on it. That was a problem for a while but has already been solved. Then a month ago, we tried to check and the button couldn’t get all of the signals from our house but the team has been good and efficient. My daughter was the one who talked to them most and she said that the lady was very knowledgeable. There are no problems now.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My daughter was concerned because I live alone and I’m getting older. Before she went out and bought something, I went ahead and got Medical Alert. The pendant has been easy to use. Their people are very good at responding. I have the device that doesn’t reach out everywhere but in my immediate area. I feel very good about it and it gives me peace of mind.

One of their marketers talked me into trying out some updated device that will detect falls so that even if I were unconscious and not able to respond, they would be able to send somebody. They sent a device out and I activated it but within the first six days, there were four false alarms sent to the company. That was unacceptable. After that, I talked with one of their people. They said that maybe it was very sensitive. They would send me another one and I was to send the first one back. They sent me another one but I was not comfortable activating it. I sent both of them back with their label. In the note I sent with the package, I explained why I was sending the devices back. I also wanted the money back that they charged me on my credit card. Now I’m back to wearing the old one which I like. I’ve had it for several years and it’s reliable. I’ve been satisfied and I would recommend Medical Alert.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’m 95 years old and I live alone. And although I've always been independent, having the Medical Alert makes my family feel better because knowing that I was alone, they called me all the time to see if I was okay. Now, they don’t worry so much. I have it dangling on my neck and it's a little uncomfortable sometimes but it's fine. I had another device before from a little company but it was not good at all. I tested it and I was right. I looked at quite a few of these devices and I chose the Medical Alert because I had confidence that it would work.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I live alone and my family wanted me to have Medical Alert in case I fell or had an emergency. So, to keep them happy, I got one. I’ve tested it a couple of times and the instructions were very clear. They responded right away and we got the job done. I usually use the pendant because it’s easy. I just put it around my neck and I don’t see it. I had a knee replacement and it was good to know when I was recovering that I had the ability to get in touch with somebody in case I fell. It gives me peace of mind.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I’m glad to have the Medical Alert as I know it’s there when I need it. I live by myself and although I'm on a property where my sister lives, I still feel a lot more rested than if I were a long way away from family. I’m less worried and I feel safer. But I’m having a little problem right now and I talked to a lady last night because the power light keeps blinking. She said to wait about 72 hours, that it may be the battery and it may work itself out. If it doesn't, I am to call her back and they would replace the battery. Other than that, the Medical Alert people reps are very nice. One thing I still have to learn though is to check it ever so often to make sure it’s working.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My experience with Medical Alert has been fine. Their team has been very efficient every time I needed them. Since using the device, my family doesn't worry about me anymore and I feel safer now living alone. I wear it around my neck and leave it on at night. I've used the buttons several times and the police station is just a mile away, so the only concern I have is that if I call it off, and it's not an emergency, the police are already there. Other than that, I have had no problems and I like them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My wife has multiple sclerosis. She hasn’t had any falling episodes for a long time which is good. I’m in and out of the house and I have a cellphone. If she’s adjacent to the house phone, she can get me. But if not, I figured that she should have a pendant regardless and in that way, she can get some help on its way. I always remind her if I'm leaving the house or anything like that to keep that pendant handy. I’m a retired firefighter EMT. If she calls 911 and tell her that, they get out here real quick. They’ve been out a couple of times. But we're kind of working it every which way to cover all the bases.

I've been very pleased with Medical Alert because they have worked with me. They get ahold of me if something’s awry and we get it ironed out real quick. Over the years I have changed cards and payment methods, and they don’t get too antsy with me. I've had no problems with that and no problems with anybody answering the phone. And on the tests that we've done, they’re real prompt. The biggest issue we have with testing it is we don’t test it enough. The last time I talked to somebody there, they said, “You gotta test that thing weekly.” I think they’re just trying to encourage me test it but I don’t know what they do with it.

They changed pendants quite a while back and I've got a blinking trouble light on that thing, but everything works. I've had it for a long time and they tell me all the time to look if I can find where the other one is. And then, if I find it, to take it off a couple of miles and drop it. Outside of that, everything works fine. I would recommend Medical Alert. They’re very cordial. And when you have a problem of any kind, they work it out for you to your satisfaction. And more than that even, it’s to your understanding. We get a little tiff between the years once in a while, and I don’t quite follow what they’re telling me, but they’ve been really good.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The Medical Alert team tried to treat me nice but they lied to me, although it might have been accidental. When I got the system at first, everything went right. I set it off accidentally one time and people showed up by mistake. Then a couple of weeks ago, I fell out of my bed and the button went with me and I was upside down on top of it. It set an alert out and I heard my phone ring but couldn’t get to it because I was on the floor. Nobody showed up. I live by myself in an apartment downstairs from my son and I was lying on the floor for four hours before my son and daughter-in-law found me. I called Medical Alert the next day and I told them that I wanted to cancel.

The rep said, “Well, the reason why they didn’t come is that they tried to call your cell phone and you didn’t answer, so they figured you were okay.” I said, “Me not answering the phone, that would give me more cause to check on the person.” My phone sits up on a little table, and when I fall on the floor, I can't reach it. So that really pissed me off. Also, a couple of weeks before that, I called because I lost my GPS for my device. She said, “Give it another try. I'll give you a $50 gift card from here.” I paid up until next May and she's going to extend it until June, which is fine, but if it's not going to work and help me, I don’t want it. I had to pay $30 insurance but didn’t get it free. If I paid the $30 for the insurance, everything would be covered so I did that and I still have never gotten that GPS. Luckily, I found my GPS.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Having Medical Alert makes me feel more secure and I'm happy with it. It's a good thing to have because I live by myself. I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and it was a pleasant conversation. A friend of mine who also lives by herself saw what I had and was interested because I use the little necklace thing. She liked it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Medical Alert's service was great. My husband passed away and I was living alone so I thought it's best that I have something in place. I was with another company when I had a medical emergency. I changed to Medical Alert after that so I'd have the little thing that I can put in my car. It's not gorgeous but it's okay. I test it on the first of every month and just phone to check in. Their response time has been good. However, I had trouble with my telephone which was in the same switch in the wall with the medical alert. I pulled the wrong one. Medical Alert got back to me very quickly when I finally got the phone to work. They asked what happened and why I turned it off. I feel safer with Medical Alert and have recommended them to other people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I feel more confident having the Medical Alert because I live by myself. My daughter wants me to keep it as she feels more secure with me having it. I keep the device by my bedside and I’m satisfied because I've never used it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I wear my Medical Alert around my neck, night and day, in the shower and every place. At first, I noticed it being there, but not anymore. My experience with Medical Alert has been pretty good so far. I tested it one time after somebody called to remind me that I needed to, which I thought was really good. My sister who insisted that I get it after my wife died feels better that I have it. They initially owned it, and I am getting an upgraded one.

Medical Alert Company Information