Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, the largest independent medical alarm company in North America offering lifesaving at home and on the go medical alarm solutions to consumers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide. Medical Alert allows customers to live independently and safely while staying in their own homes and communities. If help is needed, you can push a button and connect with SIA-certified monitoring professionals at UL-accredited, 5 diamond, fully redundant emergency monitoring centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fall detection is available on every system so even if you can't push your button you can get help. Medical Alert is recommended by leading hospitals, home healthcare agencies, and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert you can enjoy independence at home or on the go. In any emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Many of Medical Alert's customers have been using their device for several years. Reviewers say they purchased Medical Alert after the recommendation of a loved one. Customers appreciate the company's fast response time and comfortable wrist pendant.

PROS

• Fast response time
  • Light and comfortable wrist pendant
  • 24-hour helpline
  • Alerts emergency contact and medical response team
  • Can communicate through the device's speakerphone

CONS

• A few family members reported an unfamiliar Caller ID
  • Some false alarms have been reported

747 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My son got me the Medical Alert for Christmas. When I set it off accidentally, they called my daughter-in-law first to get the key out here, and my son came up to see what was the matter. I like the device and I wear it all the time, except when I'm out. I’m very satisfied with Medical Alert. It has been working for as long as I've had it.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My 93 year old mother has had her Medical Alert button for a few years. She is still fairly active. Unfortunately she has accidentally pushed the button many times. While she in the house, she has been able to cancel the call when the machine calls "Emergency". However, she has pushed it, unknowingly, when she is outside and unable to hear the callback from her machine or phone. Thus a visit from emergency services!! Everything worked very well as far as response from a call at her residence, but we are wondering what we can do to prevent these accidental calls. Could there be a beeping from the pendant itself? Or at least a vibration when it is pushed? Ambulance drivers have been excellent and stated that it is good practice, but after three false alarms we don't want to push our luck! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a medical alert device before with a company in Richmond. But they were gonna change and I never got back with them. So then my daughter got me hooked up with Medical Alert. I like the wrist band better than the necklace. I feel like if I would fall, I don’t know if I would remember to get the necklace off or not. The wrist band would always be handy. I've accidentally pressed the button two or three times, and Medical Alert would call on the phone and I would tell them that it was a mistake. I broke the arm band a while back and I called and told them that I needed another one. So they sent me the arm band and the necklace. But they didn’t charge me for it. My daughter had to do a reset on it when I got the new thing. She set it up and it’s in working order.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I would fall at night before and it was a shock when I’d wake up on the floor. I couldn’t figure out how I was falling. Maybe I was trying to get out bed but I wasn’t fully awake and down I’d go. But my Medical Alert has worked. Whenever I fell, I knew somebody would come and help me get up. The button did help. In about five times, I’ve had to call someone. First, I called my brother and my son but my son would sometimes cut his phone off and that didn’t help me. My brother also got to where he couldn’t lift that much. Medical Alert would call a fire department. The fire department guy would come and get me up by himself and set me back on the bed.

The Medical Alert button works and I would recommend it if you like the thing hanging around your neck. I had it hanging around my neck for a long time until it got to where I couldn’t stand having it around my neck. So then I laid it beside my bed. When they called me, someone said to put it in my pocket. When I got to the button that had the fall detection in it, I did carry it in my pocket for a while. But sometimes, I don’t have a pocket. Now, it’s beside my bed and the other one that I had around my neck is in the bathroom.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had a different device before but I got a Medical Alert because it had a further range. I have it around my neck all the time. It's very light and I feel safer having it. I accidentally set it off one time. They called and wanted to know and they were a little incessant. They wanted to make sure I was okay. There was also a time that I fell and they were a distance but they got here as soon as they could. It worked out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

It is very hard to get any customer service on this product - it takes hours to get anyone on the phone, though the sales dept. is very aggressive. The button itself is in a piece of light plastic that is very shoddy. So they want to sell a warranty for the button in case of loss. Another way to get more money without providing service. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My son was worried with me because I live by myself and he had Medical Alert before. I had fallen and he wanted to see if they could help me some. I wear it on a string around my neck and I’ve had it for years now. I really enjoy it because it really works with me.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I'm getting older and older, and a medical alert device is another helping hand. I accidentally pressed the button on my device, and the Medical Alert team contacted me right away. It was terrific and I was really surprised about that. Having the Medical Alert device is an absolutely necessity. You'll never know what your condition's gonna be or what you're gonna be able to do.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had a lot of light-headed, dizziness, and I fell twice in my bathroom. I got a Medical Alert device and since I got it, I feel a little safe because I stay by myself. I test it to make sure it was working. But this is the second device that I've had to send back to Medical Alert because it wasn't keeping charge. If I take it off of the base and I hang it up, it'll only be like 10 minutes and it will be like, "Please charge" the little battery thing. The rep I talked to when I called was kinda rude. She was like, "Well, I told you, it was working." I had told her it wasn't keeping charge and I had to just keep charging it. But then, I got to talk to some guy and he told me he had seen another device that wouldn't stay in charge. He was very professional.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. I was also falling an awful lot and fainting all the time. I decided to get a medical alert device and I went with Medical Alert. Having the device makes me feel better. However, there was a time when I tested it and the response time was a little slow. Also, if I go outside my perimeter, it's no good to me. I would like it to go with me where I go.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I'm getting up there in years and I'm gonna need something sooner or later. So, I got a Medical Alert device. I got the newest one that they have where if I fall, it'll go off by itself. I have had it tested and the team at Medical Alert answered. The response time was great.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

My Medical Alert device is comfortable. I’ve had it for a while because if I’m alone, if something happens, I need to have somebody here. Everything’s been fine with the people at Medical Alert. I've used my device for testing, and they've responded to me right away.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I’m very disappointed with Medical Alert. No matter when you call or what department, everybody’s always busy and you’ve gotta wait. A lot of times, I hang up. It’s terrible. You also never get to talk to the same person. They put you on hold and then they say that the person you're looking for is not in the office that day. Or they would say that the person would call me back but I never had that happen either. I just hate to call there.

They had sent me something that would extend the area that could be reached by the unit. It was further than in my apartment. This woman was so persistent so I said I would take it. They sent it to me but I didn’t even open it and I sent it back. I figured if I’m out and about, I’m either with my daughter or some friends. But I had a heck of a time with customer service. This guy hemmed and hawed, and I wrote him a letter. Then my credit card company wanted to know what was wrong. I had to fill out all this and that. I got my credit card bill today and I got credit for it. But I saw that Medical Alert kept $9.50 for the postage but the thing probably weighed five ounces. I wear my wristband 24/7 and it's comfortable. I don’t even know I have it on. It’s better to have it in the shower. But otherwise, I don't really notice any difference. I'm 90 years old and I walk with a cane. I also know people who have gotten other ones locally and they do just as good a job.

In my Medical Alert, there is a big button for emergency and then for testing, there is a number to call and then you push the button on the machine. But when I am testing, I don't receive a response right away. One night, one gentleman called me to tell me about some other deal. While I was talking to him, I told him that I had another wrist bracelet that had not been activated. He told me he could do that for me and he told me what to do. It was activated and while I was talking to him, the doorbell rang. When I opened it up, it was a policeman. He asked me if I was ready to go. An ambulance was waiting for me. So evidently, the representative should not have told me to turn the thing over. The button was on the other side. That was quite an experience.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I'm by myself most of the time. I got a Medical Alert device and I wear it around my neck I have used it for emergency two or three times. They responded but I had to wait a while. It seemed like it was too long to be waiting before anybody said anything. But it was alright after we got connected. I’m satisfied with it and would recommend it to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My grandpa wears his Medical Alert device around his neck once in a while when he goes out in the garden. They are very prompt. We pushed the button, a fire alarm went off, and they were right on it. They asked if everything was okay and if they needed to send an ambulance. Also, they've called and made sure that the equipment works. We did what they asked us to do, go 12 feet and let the device go off, and it works. If anyone asks about Medical Alert, I would tell them to get one. I would get one myself.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Four years ago, my mom got sick on me. She wanted a Medical Alert and we've had it ever since. It helped her and saved her a lot. She passed away in February and now, I'm on it. I went ahead and went on it myself. I wear it on my neck and I love it. When I need them, they're right here for me. But I gotta let it go take time. I had to get used to that when I first started. It could be a little bit faster, but that just might be the way they deal with. Other than that, I would highly recommend Medical Alert.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've had Medical Alert for years. I upgraded but I liked the previous one better. I have to hang this new one up somewhere while I get into my pyjamas. Otherwise, I got to run and push the button to shut the alert off. It’s so sensitive. Also, I have a yard that I work in, my flowers and everything, and I haven’t been out there with it. If it says emergency, by the time I get in my home to shut it off, the fireman would be here. I was very pleased with the one I had before. I’m sorry I switched to this one.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’m an old senior lady living by myself. I don’t have any family here around in this county. I’ve got to the point where I drive a little. I can drive to the store, go over to our senior center and drive over to church. I felt that I needed Medical Alert. Wearing my bracelet is fine and it doesn't bother me at all. I’d rather wear it than the pendant. It seems like it’s always dangling around and I’m not comfortable with it. I have used my Medical Alert three times. The first time I fell was in the house. I wear the bracelet all the time but I didn’t have it on that late evening. I had to scoot on the floor. I got through the house into my bedroom where my medical alert device was and I pushed the button.

I fell again in the house. I wasn't hurt during the times I fell. But when I fall, I can’t get up and that’s why I scooted on the floor. I wanted to scoot where I could get to something heavy like a big chair. I thought I could pull up but now I couldn’t. The last time that I fell, the man that I had on my emergency contact was gone, so an ambulance was sent out. I was sitting on the floor and the people who came got me up. I was in my bedroom and they sat me on the bed. I felt okay. I wasn't hurt but I have been wearing the bracelet ever since.

Medical Alert's response was fast and I didn’t think about them sending an ambulance. My neighbor who lives just across from me came over to see what was going on and if I was hurt. He noticed that my emergency contact who was supposed to come wasn’t there. He told me that since he lives close, I should put him down as an emergency contact person which I did. I got my pastor down too. He lives close enough that it wouldn’t take him any time to get here.

I feel safer with my Medical Alert. I live in a really safe place, but if I fall, then I have the device to push. However, the part that says trouble on that box in the middle which I call the little yellow light, blinks. I called Medical Alert and they said the battery was dead on my drop pendant. They sent me one but it was the same thing. The little yellow light kept blinking. I called again and the man who answered was nice about it. But he told me that the battery on the device was doing the same thing. He said it was silly how they send things. I said, “Yes, you sent me a bad one, didn’t you?” We got a laugh out of it. I sent the first device back that they sent me because it was still blinking on my box.

Other than that, the Medical Alert is good. If I’m talking to an older person, I'd tell him to get it even if he might have someone with him. If he should fall and get hurt pretty bad, whoever’s with him may not be able to do much to help him. I just hope Medical Alert doesn’t keep going up in price because I just have that one income and I pay for everything here. When you’re on a fixed income, it’s pretty rough sometimes when you’re paying all the bills.

Hi Faye,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am sorry you fell but glad you are ok.

We are here to keep you protected 24/7. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I'm not as agile as I used to be, and I live alone. I got a Medical Alert device and some reps are not totally honest. Whoever I was talking to said I need to hurry up and sign up because the fee was gonna go up, and if I signed up that time the fee would never go up. But since having the device I feel much safer. I have the wrist one at first. Now, I'm using the necklace type device.

Medical Alert response

Thanks so much for your feedback, Gerald. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

I am sorry if the rep was not patient with you on the phone. We do offer limited price discounts from time to time. If you would like someone to call you, please let me know and I can have someone from our escalation team call.

Thank you for being a valued customer of Medical Alert.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I fell and broke my femur, so they put a pin in and a rod. When I came home from the care center where I had to stay for a month, my daughter had gotten Medical Alert for me. I keep it in the house mostly, and I usually have one in my bedroom and one out in the kitchen. If I am gonna take a bath, I would take it in the bathroom with me, too. I put it around my neck, and then I have a bracelet, too. Then when I go out on my golf cart out in the yard, I have it with me as well -- I have it in a container so it doesn’t get dirty or lost.

I, however, hit it twice and had to have the police come in, and I didn’t even know I did it. The device is nice to have, but it worries me that I’m gonna bump it because I didn’t know when I bumped it the other times. Having the idea that it is there, nevertheless, is good. It is a security. Some feel really independent and they don’t really think they need it, but when you’re talking to them, you know they need something. I would tell them for sure to check into Medical Alert.

Hi Mildred,

That's terrible! I am sorry you were hurt.

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

We are always here for you!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I’m getting older. I’m 87 and my husband died so the kids thought I needed a medical alert device. I wear it on my neck all the time now. It's good and it doesn't bother me. I’ve never used the one that I carry with me but I've used the one at home. I called Medical Alert one night and they called back up. My son talked to them then they showed up quickly. They were nice and I was taken to the hospital. Everything’s okay with Medical Alert and I would tell others to get one, wear it and not to hang it on a nail someplace.

Hi Nevatyne,

I am so glad to know you wear your Medical Alert device always and that we were there when you needed us! You have shared very good advice here for others in your review, so thank you so much!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My caregiver goes up on the mountain in the summertime, so I'm alone. I decided to get a medical alert device from Medical Alert and it makes me feel safer. I have an excellent experience when I communicate with their team as well.

Hi Edna,

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have issues with my heart and sometimes I have trouble walking. So, it would make me dizzy and when that happens, I get off-balanced a little bit and I could fall. I try to grab onto something but it could get serious if I'm outside. So, I got a medical alert device and if I have it, I can get somebody here pretty quickly. Also, I'm not the only old lady over here where I stay, so if somebody might need assistance and I'm close to them, then I can help them, too.

I had a different medical alert system before but I didn't keep it up like I was supposed to. I kinda left it alone and just tried to stay safe. Then I got a Medical Alert and their reps were excellent to deal with. Their service is about a 10 while the other company wasn't quite like that. But I didn't understand what I was doing back then and that might've been my problem. But when I first started using my Medical Alert, I had to get used to how to do this and that, and their reps walked me through it.

I feel pretty safe with my Medical Alert than if I didn't have it. It's been working all right so far and the button is pretty easy to mess with. Otherwise, instead of trying to figure out how to do this and that, I'd just smash it. So, it's perfect and I'm very satisfied. If I didn't have it, I'd be in the dark. But right now, I have it, so I'm kind of in the light. I'd tell others that it's best to get it now. Don't wait till later because later is always too late.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My mom is 92 and on a walker. We wanna make sure that if she fell, she wears the bracelet, and that way she could punch it and get Medical Alert attention real quick. My sister and I watch out for her all the time and that was our best plan that served her. She's always looking on TV and reading about things in AARP magazine and wants to try different ones. But to me, Medical Alert is the best overall. They have different options. Old people do not carry phones and they can't wear a lot of jewelry. So, the bracelet for her, like a watch works the best because when they have stuff around their neck, they panic and pull on them.

One time, my mom accidentally pushed the Medical Alert button. I was out mowing on a riding mower. I came around behind a building and there is an ambulance. There were three EMS people on my daughter’s porch and she's an acre away. I saw them up there and then the guy started walking towards me and so, we went in and checked her out. She was fine, but she had punched the button. I said, "Why didn't you answer the phone call?" She said, "Well, I didn't know the number. I didn't recognize it as anybody's number." So, we have a new rule after that. She had to answer the phone if I was outside or gone. That was a good experience though.

Hi Sandy,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am glad your Mom was ok.

We are always here for her. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Medical Alert charged me $54 for some necklace that they said they sent me but I never received it. When I spoke to them, they were sorry that I hadn’t gotten it but they couldn’t understand why I hadn’t received it. But I told them that I had lived in a secured building and that the mailbox is inside so I don’t know what happened to it either. Nonetheless, they should not have taken the money off my account without my permission. That was what I didn’t like. I’m 87 years old and I got the Medical Alert device in case I needed help. I wore it all the time and I felt a little bit more secure having it. But I've cancelled and sent it back. I never had to use it and now, I'm going to have it on my telephone and as long as I’ve got it on my phone, I’ll just have my phone all the time. I had also referred another person to Medical Alert though.

Hi Betty,

I am sorry for any confusion in what was sent. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Have a wonderful evening and please call again if we can be on any assistance to you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I was essentially alone even when my husband was alive because he was ill. I wanted a medical alert device for him and I also had one. When my husband died, I sent his back but I kept mine because I need it too because of my age. It’s a securing back up for me because I have had a number of falls. I wear it around my neck all the time except when I have someone in the home. I have caregivers and I have my family here sometimes. So I wouldn't need it then. I would put it aside then as soon as they’d leave, I would put it back on. I have a better feeling when I have that. It’s like having somebody in the house with me.

I had to use the button once for my husband and it was very quick. He had fallen in the shower and I told the Medical Alert people that I needed some help but I didn't wanna leave him to call anybody. So they did it. They called somebody and had the numbers. They sent out an emergency situation for him and they were out here in about 20 minutes because they’re nearby. Aside from that, it had also gone off when I’ve dropped it. But I called them and cancelled it since it was not an accident.

Somebody from Medical Alert called me once though. I have a bracelet and one pendant, but she was trying to sell me another pendant. It was probably because they’re paid from how much they sell. That was the impression I got. She was pressing me just to buy it and saying that I definitely had to have it because it was the latest thing. She gave me the impression that it was much faster acting. I didn't really know I needed that but I got it. Then I realized it wasn't anything different. It was just like my other one. I actually explained it to them when I took it back. I told them that I was a little bit pressed into this situation and that it wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. Other than that once instance, they've always been very accommodating.

The only problem with the device is you can't have it for a distance. When I get better, I will take walks and I won’t be able to have that security of being able to press it when I’m away from the house, other than in my yard. That’s the only difference that I feel. But by that time, I’m gonna be strong enough anyway to be able to take care of myself because I carry a cellphone with me. Nonetheless, it’s a vey good service and I’d definitely recommend it.

Hi Peggy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Just as an FYI - we do have a device with GPS for active seniors who spend more time out and about and would like coverage. This one would allow you to go beyond just your own backyard - in fact, you will be protected no matter where you go.

Be sure to contact us if that is something you feel would be a better fit for your lifestyle. In the meantime, thanks for being a valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live alone so I got a Medical Alert. I like knowing that I have a button if I need it and my kids are happy that I have it. I've been with Medical Alert for a few years now. Their customer service reps are good. They answer my questions. I feel secure having a Medical Alert. I just don't like this new one that they sent me. It's one of those where if you fall, it automatically sends in the signal. In case you knocked yourself out, they get there and that's fine. But this new one is so sensitive. If I don't put it on very gently, it sets my base off. When it goes off, the base unit yells emergency five times. If I'm in the house, I hear it and I'd go to it and reset it. But if I'm outside, I can't hear that and I don't want anybody to show up if I don't need them. I don't mind paying for the service but I don't like this new one.

The first time I got it, I called to cancel but they talked me back into it. I still have it but I don't wear it. I have another button, the original button that came with the unit. It's not that sensitive. I have to actually push it. In fact, that's what I use and I have it on right now. If I take it off, I put it on the table next to me wherever I'm sitting. But most of the time, I wear it around my neck, but not when I'm sleeping because I set it off somehow. So, I take it off at night and put it on my night table. I also don't like wearing it in the shower because once you wet it, the rope around the neck stays wet and I don't like it. I'd recommend Medical Alert to a friend. Anybody who lives alone should have one. It's nice to know that if I press that button, the police will come or when they yell emergency, I could tell them any help that I needed. If I needed a cop, they'll call a cop or if I want them to just send my son, they will send my son.

Hi Marie,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I feel safer since having my Medical Alert device. I can take a shower, and then I make sure I use it. We’re getting old and our balance is so bad. If I let go of something, I fall over. So, it’s time we needed something. I’m glad I have a Medical Alert device. We wear it. We never had to use it as far as something was wrong except for a few mistakes and something touching it or bumping it and it goes off once in a while. Medical Alert's reps were friendly.

Hi James,

Thanks so much for your review! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can do for you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I’m 94 years old and I had a very simple fall. I went over on my butt and needed help to get up. That notified me that I needed to be sure to have something out. I got Medical Alert and I wore the device when I remembered, which was most of the time. I’ve also been in touch with the company to be sure that I’m up-to-date in everything. I also touched base with them once when one of the lights was blinking. It was a low battery and what we did was we sent back the little medallion thing. Then they sent me a new one so I’ve had good relations. I’ve been satisfied. I’d recommend Medical Alert and tell others that it can’t hurt to have it.

Hi Shirley,

I am so glad you're ok and glad Medical Alert was there to help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review.. We value our customers and appreciate you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Everything has been fine with Medical Alert. Even if I accidentally hit a button, they respond right away. The reps were nice and pleasant. There are times I wear the device around my wrist, but when I get busy, I wear it around my neck. I feel more safer having Medical Alert when I am by myself. I like that if I do happen to pass out, I’ll still get somebody to respond.

Hi Pearl,

We are always here for you so I am glad to know you are good about wearing your Medical Alert device.

Thank you so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Connect America, Medical Alert and/or Alarm Company (Connect America) provides emergency monitoring and home alarm services to aging adults across the United States who have medical conditions but want to live independently at home. Choose from an annual, semi-annual or monthly plan.

• On-the-go option: Enjoy the security Connect America offers even when you aren’t inside your home with their convenient on-the-go option. This mobile device comes with a lanyard and belt clip and is GPS enabled.

• Easy in-home installation: Your Medical Alert system is easy to set up. Simply plug the base into any wall outlet, connect your phone cord and turn it on.

• Emergency alert bracelet or pendant: Wear your emergency alert bracelet or pendant at all times to have quick and easy access to help. Simply push the button and get connected through your base.

• Free brochure: Send away for a free brochure to learn more about MedicalAlert’s system.

• Wireless system available: Homes that do not have a landline can still enjoy the peace of mind that comes from Medical Alert thanks to their wireless emergency response system. This includes a base unit and an emergency pendant or bracelet.

• Best for: GreatCall devices are best for caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information