4.4/5 (1578 ratings)

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America offers medical alert devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Systems come with 24-hour monitoring and provide access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Medical Alert has multiple products, including a fall detection pendant and a caregiver app. The company is a member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA).

Pros

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS and fall detection technology
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • No long-term contract required

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
  • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several system options. Just know that costs increase as services are added. Month-to-month service is available, but you can get a discount by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, I’m enjoying my device. It’s nice to know that someone's there at all times with you. Even though I know that nobody is here, Medical Alert is still here… Somebody calls e...

Verified

Medical Alert has been great and I can be more independent now that I do have this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be living alone… Once in a while, the device goes off by accident. I just...

Medical Alert systems

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert is a professional emergency response monitoring company. Its systems come with a wearable lanyard or wristband that connects to a monitoring center. You can set up your monitoring system through a landline or cellular connection, depending on the device you choose.

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

Medical Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring centers are staffed by operators who are trained to quickly answer calls. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help.

Once connected, operators determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch and monitor the device wearer’s safety.

The app lets any caregiver check your system status and contact list. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how the wearer is doing, and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it automatically updates whenever the company's support team changes your information.

Medical Alert cost

Medical Alert systems start around $20 to $40 per month, and there are no upfront equipment costs. You can save money by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan. Annual plans also include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
Month-to-month cost*$22.95$32.95$42.95
Monthly cost with annual or semiannual plan*$19.95$29.95$39.95
Optional fall detection*$10 per month$10 per month$10 per month

*At the time of publishing

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert emergency response systems work?
Medical Alert systems connect you with a response coordinator at its monitoring center during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, they summon help by contacting a family member, caregiver or first responder for you, depending on the situation.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Original Medicare does not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices. On the other hand, Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may cover them.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert system?
You’ll need to sign a month-to-month monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term commitment is required. Paying on a longer-term basis can save you money, though.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert’s help buttons are waterproof, so you can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath. However, your base unit may not be waterproof.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
You can add a protection plan for $1 per month. The plan covers one replacement of your main system and up to two buttons if your original ones are lost or damaged during any 12-month period.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes, Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.

Is Medical Alert worth it?

Medical Alert can help you or a loved one stay safe with a wide range of products. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance, so older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. Plus, Medical Alert’s emergency buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting users comfortably wear them in the shower.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I was sitting in the kitchen, paying a bill, and I started to write a number on the check. I knew in my head what I needed to write, but my hand wouldn't function. I tried to call somebody. I could just push buttons and it would keep coming back, didn’t call and go through. I remembered that I just got out of the shower shortly before, and where I put that device on the desk drawers. I tried to get up, I could get up and I got to it, pushed the button. I could hear people talking and it was my neighbor talking to Medical Alert's people. They got an ambulance.

I got to the hospital overnight and they boiled the cause down to a stroke. But I could talk. I could use a phone. But I was helpless and in a complete panic, because I knew something was wrong. I knew I couldn't do anything to reach anybody. And I just happened to know right where to put my hand on it. So from then on, I put the device somewhere I can reach it from the shower. For that one particular time that I had to use it, it was wonderful, because I sat here helpless. One time can make a believer out of you. Also, I got my next door neighbor and he has a key. When he opened my back door, he looked like he was going to pass out. It gave him a scare. Because I heard an operator with Medical Alert asking if we needed an ambulance. And his answer was yes.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I've had the whole unit for 12 years, and Medical Alert's customer service has been all right. A couple weeks ago, I mashed my emergency button by mistake, and I had to let them know that it was not an emergency. The people in the office are very friendly and take care of situations if I have any. Everything is right on top, and everybody reports in on time. They were here on time in case I didn't get the alert.

I just got a new fall pendant, and it's very sensitive. When they sent this to me, they did not tell me exactly what to do about it and that's something that needs to be improved. When I took it off and went to bed at night, the alarm went off on its own. They came out here to see me, and I didn't even touch it. It went off two times with me until I finally called in and questioned them about it on the phone. A young lady told me, “Well, you have to put it on something soft.” That's a very important issue, especially when you're 92 years old, and they don't tell you that in the paperwork. They just said, “Put it on your nightstand.” Medical Alert is wonderful, but they should send paperwork that tell you to put your pendant on a soft surface when you take it off, especially when it's for the fall.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I hate all these chains around my neck but somebody said I could get the device for my wrist. I said that wouldn't work out with my small dog because he sits on my lap all the time. I’ve set off the button a couple of times and I told the response team that it was a mistake. I asked them if they could do my monthly check because of that call. They were nice. I've already recommended Medical Alert to a friend who is a lot younger than I am and she lives alone. But she hasn't made any response and doing anything. But it's okay.

I talked to somebody in the billing department because I don't like the way they're doing the service. I added the fall buttons and they added another $5.25 charge and I don't know what that was for. But it comes every month and it comes off my checking account. I don't know when that's coming and my whole checking account is screwed up. I get my statement, and then it'll show that I've had it. But by then, I've written out five more checks. So, I asked them to just send me a bill, and I'll write a check out and pay it. They said they would. I'm very satisfied with Medical Alert. My daughter is coming in the beginning of August and I’m gonna talk to her about it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I was prone to falling and every time I fell, I was always away from the pull cart. I had to crawl to the cart to pull it and get to my phone so, I thought I better get a Medical Alert so I can have it around me. I used the button once in an emergency and having it was a blessing. I had it around my neck and I could touch it and talk to somebody. The reps came and I didn’t have to crawl to my cell phone, which I usually use to call. I can’t wear the button on my neck because I had surgery and braced my neck. The button is on my arm and I like it on my wrist because I can take it anywhere. I go out and walk down the hall and I know it's there. But I try not to fall.

When I call in, the reps are very courteous. I say that I’m just checking and they’ll ask if I’m alright and to call if I need anything. One time, I got stuck in a chair and I had to call Medical Alert. They had to come and get me off the chair. I liked the service and the people. They were very kind and helpful. I don't want to get off of Medical Alert but that's $62 a month and I'm getting older. So I wanna know if there is any way I can do for a price down.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

When I use the button, I would wear it and the team would call me if I need to charge it or not, and I would let them know. When my button would go off, I would tell them that the device just went off by mistake. They said that I would just hold it down for about two or three minutes and then release it. I did that and it was okay then. Then, if I needed them, I would call them and they would ask me if I'm alright, what's going on, and if they need to send someone out. It wouldn't be that long that they would send someone to help me.

One time, I was using my machine for breathing and my stomach was bothering me. But my elevator wasn't working and I had to go down the steps. It was about five or six of them and they said they could put me in a chair and strap me in, one in the front, one in the back, and they could take me downstairs. As bad as I felt, I could not let them do that as I've had problems with going downstairs. I said no and that my son could help me. They said, "What can your son do that we can't? And there's so many of us and there's only one of him." One of the gentlemen checked me out and asked if I really need to go and I said no.

Another time I went to sit on the side of my daughter's bed. It was an air mattress and it went down and I ended up on the floor and I couldn't get up. They tried to help me up but they couldn't. They asked what to do to help me and so I called the boys. They came and two or three of them lifted me off the floor. Then when I moved in the other apartment, I was asleep and I woke up and I was on the floor with the covers. I called the paramedics to come and get me, and it took three of them, one on each side and one behind me, and then they picked me up.

I was in a bad shape at another time and my blood pressure was up to 225. They told me that they would take me to the hospital and they didn't tell that time how much my blood pressure was. The only reason I found it out was after I got in the emergency room and then the nurses told me what it was. There was another time they had to stay because the hospital was full, had no rooms, and I had to be in the hallway. They did not leave me until the nurses in the emergency room got a bed for me to be in and got the equipment for me to use.

They checked me out in November. They came up first and the ambulance came out right behind them. They asked if I could walk to get on the little car in other room and I said yes and they helped me. When I got on there, they strapped me down. I asked them for something that would cover me up and they gave one. Even if I'm going from my home to a doctor and my insurance provides a ride for them to call, so I call a couple of days early and make the ride.

I feel safe with Medical Alert being there because they know how to carry and take care of me. They have the equipment that they can check with whatever is wrong with me and they run it up. If they see that I need to go to a doctor or to a hospital, they're gonna tell that they can take me, but it's up to me. They're a company that we need with a group of men that can get us out of an accident and the like. I just have one device that I need to send back, but they didn't send me the envelope, they just sent me a seal to put on there.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I live alone here at home. If I know I'm gonna stay inside the house, I forget to wear my Medical Alert device. Other than that, I have to always figure out how to put it on. I have to stick it in my bra or I put it in a pocket because it's not very comfortable. In the beginning, everything was fine until I got that second call and they wanted to charge me $10 more if I wanted that watch thing. Then, they wanted to charge me $29 for insurance, which I already had. I said, "No, thank you," and we hung up, but they still charged me on my credit card. It took hours for me to get that money back. As far as the device, it works well. Not only do I feel secure, but so does my family for me. My grandson and my great-granddaughter are happy that I have it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

The Medical Alert has been helpful to me. But it's not comfortable for me to wear. I don't like the blank string hanging around my neck and that's the only thing I have with that. But, wearing it doesn't bother me because I pinned it in my bra and I don't have it dangling down. It's good to have. It made me feel more comfortable because if I fall, I know how to get some help.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I've used my Medical Alert and their response was very good. It does the job and it's very useful. But I think they put the price up pretty good. It went up $15 a month.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I had a different device before but it was not really monitored and the company would alert my sister. My sister takes care of my mother that's 103 years old and I didn't want to put that burden on her anymore. My daughter then got me a Medical Alert and since then, my sister is not bothered. The call goes straight to someone that's monitoring the device and they can call the fire department, which is about two blocks down from my house. So, when I get on the floor and I can't get up, I don't have to crawl to get the number for the fire department. They call for me and that's what I like about it. Also, the device is very good quality because, when I pressed something against me and it went off, their reps were spot on and came talking to me right away.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

My Medical Alert device has grown on me now and since I got it, it's like I took a pill that protects me. I check it every month and their reps have been professional and helpful.

Medical Alert Company Information