Call toll free
4.52/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, the largest independent medical alarm company in North America offering lifesaving at home and on the go medical alarm solutions to consumers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide. Medical Alert allows customers to live independently and safely while staying in their own homes and communities. If help is needed, you can push a button and connect with SIA-certified monitoring professionals at UL-accredited, 5 diamond, fully redundant emergency monitoring centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fall detection is available on every system so even if you can't push your button you can get help. Medical Alert is recommended by leading hospitals, home healthcare agencies, and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert you can enjoy independence at home or on the go. In any emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

697 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've had falls before and I live alone. My family live around where we live so I had to call them if I needed help. So, my family got a Medical Alert system for me. At first, I started with a device around my neck but then that would fall off and start an emergency. Thereafter, my daughters ordered the model for my wrist and it has been better since. One time, I was gonna sit down on my bed and I pushed the button accidentally. All of a sudden, the device started an emergency again. Medical Alert's team called and I told them it was an accident. Still, that made me feel good because I have help if I need it.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I kept falling and I live alone. I got the Medical Alert and I feel secure knowing I have that. I have it for a little over five years since 2013. I've used it twice and it has been wonderful. I wear it around the wrist and when I pressed the button, they answered. But the second time I had to use it, they couldn’t hear me. The device was in my living room and I fell in my bedroom. An ambulance came and my son came. They told me they couldn’t hear me but help was on the way. I’ve moved the device since that happened. At the time, when they called my contact, it just showed a 1-800 number and my daughter didn’t answer it the first time. But she called back and it was them. People sometimes ignore that number and if they don't recognize it, they don't answer. So that was the one thing that my daughter thought was wrong with Medical Alert. They shouldn’t hide their business.

HI Roxanne,

Thanks so much for your feedback! That is helpful information about the phone number, so I will pass it on to our team.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I canceled my order one day after placing it. Mom went to a nursing home and did not need it. Was told there would be no charge, and I sent the unit back to them, unopened, and the service was NEVER activated. They have been charging my credit card, which I called Visa to report credit card fraud. Emails to Medical Alert ignored.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I needed some way to get help if I needed it and Medical Alert has made me feel more protected and confident. I wear the button around my neck during the day and on my wrist during the night. I had to use the button when I was very ill and Medical Alert responded immediately. I did not wait long for the responders, they got in through the keys from the lockbox and I got the help I needed. Medical Alert is a good thing to have.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I've had my Medical Alert device for so many years. I had an episode where my sugar went so low, I could hardly move. I got help and I kept wanting to go to sleep, but I was told that if I went to sleep, I wouldn't come back. My kids had a fit and told me that I've got to get something just in case that happens again. With Medical Alert, I have the comfort of knowing that I can get help when I get in trouble. I have bumped my button accidentally quite a few times and Medical Alert's response has been quick. They’ve been also so efficient, kind and forgiving when that happens. I had the fall thing added to the device, but I’d rather have something different than the necklace I wear. Still, it’s a great thing to have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got this for my 82 and 84 year old parents. No bill came to their house but they harassed them on the phone. They were sending the bill to an apartment in a different city. My mom would accidentally set off the fall pendant and the operators were rude to both my mom and dad. My mom was also experiencing dementia. The elastic used for the wrist pendant was leaving marks on my dad's wrist only after 6 months, it was stiff. My contracted amount was $49.99 but they started billing $54.95 with no notice. I canceled when my mom passed away in July. I returned the equipment after waiting for a label and received a bill on September 3 for $64.95. The equipment was received in the warehouse on August 21. I was informed that I would have to pay for August.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I feel much more secure knowing that I have my Medical Alert device. I'm getting older and living alone. I first had the neck device and the lanyard irritated my neck. I went to the wrist one and there have been a couple of times when I’ve had it too loose and it slipped off. But, it works okay for me. I inadvertently set it off and I wasn’t even home. It alerted everybody very quickly, including my emergency friends. I’d recommend Medical Alert.

Hi Frances,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

All my friends have Medical Alert devices. The one I have is comfortable to wear and I would recommend it to everybody.

Hi Vilma,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I used another device before this and if I triggered it so that it went off, I could just speak and I would get a response over the device. I would hear, “Do you need help?” and then I would say, “No, I didn’t need any help,” and that would be it. Whereas with the Medical Alert device, a couple of minutes after it has been triggered, I would get a phone call to see if I’m alright. It seems like I trigger the device off too often. I wear it around my neck and that’s when I trigger it because it gets in the way. I usually wear it under a blouse or shirt and sometimes, I trigger it by bumping or if I was taking something out of my washing machine. When I’m bent over and I forget that it’s on, I might hit it. I’ve done it a couple of times a month and the response has been very good.

I don’t like the feeling of the wet string after I finish showering since I would have to take my hair dryer and dry it. I just keep it at the tub and it stays dry. The string is a little bit long and I’ve had other people look at it and nobody seems to know how to shorten it. Tying the knot doesn’t work. I’m short-waisted and it goes down even below my breast. Still, everything has been good and I apologized when I triggered it because I figured I was using somebody’s time. It’s something that just happens so quickly.

Hi Eva,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We don't mind false alarms. We're just glad to know you're ok!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Things have been going very well with Medical Alert. I tried to wear something around my neck but one night, I rolled over in the bed at three o’clock in the morning and heard them waking me up. So, I like having it on my left wrist. I accidentally pushed on it once but it doesn't get in the way. Whenever I used the device, I had to wait quite a while for their response. In fact, the last time I called for a checkup, it seemed like it took a while for them to get back and make sure that I was okay. But they were very glad that there was no emergency and I was just checking.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so much for your review. We truly value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I live by myself and I am prone to fall. If I fall, I can’t get up. I needed something so I could call for help. I got a Medical Alert and I now feel safer with it because it’s right at my fingertips if I need it. I wear the button around my neck and put it down in my shirt. I forget that it’s there and it doesn’t bother me. I haven’t had any problem with it and I would recommend it to anybody if they live by themselves. I’m 95 years old but you don’t have to be that old to need something in case you fall and can’t get up.

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks so much for your feedback! People of all ages who need to feel secure are our customers, so we agree with you that there is no "right" age to use Medical Alert.

We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Have a great day!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I got a Medical Alert thinking that I needed it, and I have been wearing a band. I haven't used it a lot but I have no problems with them.

Hi Chuck,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I had a medical alert device that wasn’t working well so I needed to change. I saw Medical Alert in an advertisement. I had to test it and I used it to call for help. Once I pushed my button, I got the response from the fire department. However, I don’t like that I have to charge it so much.

Hi Mary,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I broke my ankle and I was on the bedroom floor. I used my Medical Alert and their response time was very good. Luckily, it had been fairly cool in Florida and I had the windows open because the fellow from the ambulance was walking around the house to try to find a way to get in and I hollered up the window. I told him where the hidden key was so they could come it. Since that time, I’ve got a lockbox and the Medical Alert reps told me to give them the code on it. That incident happened on October 19, 2015 and I was in the hospital for two nights then I was in one rehab place. But Medicare would only let me stay there for a certain time and they had to move me to another one. Those were horrible places and I didn’t get back home until January 1st of 2016.

I should have used my device one other time but I didn’t want them to come in here with sirens and put me in the hospital again. It was my own fault anyway. I pulled it down in the chair that was partly under the table and as I was turning around to sit down and I didn’t pull it out far enough. And when I sat down, there was a bang on the floor. I wear my device around my neck because my wrists are too skinny. I’m so used to it now and I never notice it. But I have one of those that you can’t lie down on for if I fall, bumped my head, and knocked myself out. I would recommend it highly.

Hi Natalie,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When my husband passed away, my kids thought I should have a Medical Alert device. I wear it around my neck. Ten weeks ago, I was out in the garage and I fell down and broke my wrist but I didn’t have my Medical Alert. That happened at 4 o’clock and I laid on the cement floor until 8 o’clock. Thank God I had the garage door open and my son came in and I hollered for him to help me, but Medical Alert's team notified my daughter. She lives right close by and she was here before the responders came, but they were here in a few minutes. Now, I wear the device day and night all the time.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I fell when I was answering the door too quickly and my family wanted me to have a Medical Alert device. I live out in the country. My husband passed away and I’m by myself now. The device was tested when it was put in here. I wear it device around my neck and it’s comfortable.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I had a very poor experience with Medical Alert. They were calling my mother at 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00 and 10:00 in the evening over a bill that my mother should not have gotten phone calls about. My sister has always paid that bill. At the time, Medical Alert had a credit card on file that apparently expired. I’m sorry that they weren’t smart enough to call the credit card holder and explain to them that it had expired and that they needed to do something with it. Instead, took it upon their self to start calling my 85-year old mother about a bill that does not pay. That was too much.

I’m with her all the time. There’s no reason for her to have to Medical Alert anymore. Also, at this point in time, I may not be with her all the time because she may not be with us much longer. At the time that we got her the device, she lived alone in a whole other state. We got the device so we could keep up with what was going on if she should take a fall. Three years ago, I moved her with me but we still kept the medical alert because she still went out and did things with other people. We were more confident in that situation.

Now there's no confidence in them anymore. They dropped the bomb. Even after I spoke to them about contacting my mother, they still continued. I ended up telling them that if they contacted my mother one more time, I was filling harassment charges against them. One time, she took a serious fall and Medical Alert never came on. I had already called 911 on my phone, pushed her button several times, never got a response. When they finally answered the call, they started calling everybody but the person that was with her. They called my sister in Texas. They called her friend that lives in Michigan. They never called me. At that point in time, the ambulance was already there anyway so it didn't matter.

I’m waiting on them to call me back now because I canceled this stuff last month. I was under the impression that everything had been handled, that the bill would be sent to the Danbury, Texas PO box where it should be mailed to. Instead, I received a phone call today stating that they wanna talk to me about a bill that is owed. That really, really, really pissed me off. I have no other way of telling them that I do not handle the bill. I have given them my sister's name, phone number, email and mailing address. I have returned all of the products to them. We will not be using Medical Alert again.

Hi Cynthia,

We've looked into this account and would like to clarify some things from our end:

According to our detailed call notes, at no time was anyone on this account called from our company after 5:50 pm EST. We see there is a 1-hour difference in time zones, so that would be 6:50pm your time. We would not call customers after 8 pm because our Collections dept closes at 8 pm.

Several times, messages were left to have the payee return our calls to

update the Credit Card number. Our calls were never returned, and when we did get through to the payee, she would hang up on us.

It is normal business practice for a company to update credit card information when a credit card on file has expired. Since the person we had on file did not call back and/or hung up when they did answer, we called the customer directly. If someone had called us to update the information, billing calls would have ceased.

In paragraph 3, where you reference your Mother taking a serious fall -- Medical Alert dispatched emergency services before we ever spoke with you. You may not have known that because the situation was upsetting. But I assure you, 911 was dispatched when the fall was detected.

Because the customer kept pushing her button, she was canceling out signals, but nevertheless, we did dispatch help. Medical Alert was instructed by the customer to also notify the people on the call list in the case of an emergency which is why everyone on the call list was notified as well, but the ambulance was on its way because Medical Alert dispatched them.

We do see that there are 2 outstanding invoices which we will take care of for you and close the account.

Sincerely,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I live alone and i hear noises in the night. It’s a big comfort to me to know that all I’ve got to do is push a button and I’m gonna have somebody at my door. I’ve had the Medical Alert for a number of years and I’ve been completely satisfied with the service. I have pushed the button and the response time has been adequate. I wear the device around my neck. Although it gets in the way, it’s something I live with. I’ve tried one on the wrist which was not a good thing. I’ve also tried one that you pin on but my hands are crippled, so it’s hard to pin one on and take it on and put it off. I was sent one that you pin on to your clothing and I sent it back untried because my hands just wouldn’t accommodate it. This is the first one I’ve had and it’s made a world of difference. It’s an ongoing expense, but it’s well worth it to me.

Hi Lola,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Medical Alert!

Our customers are very important to us, so we appreciate the time you took to leave this review.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have a hearing problem and it was necessary to get some kind of help. I’m very comfortable to know that I have the Medical Alert device in the house and that it would respond if I needed it. We test it every six weeks and the response time has been reasonable. I wear it around my neck every single day and I've had no problems with it.

Hi Elizabeth,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

If I go out all alone and all of a sudden I feel dizzy, I can push the Medical Alert. I’m wearing it around my neck and it is not bothering me. When I had to push the button, their response time was all right and their reps were okay. I would recommend them. In fact, I told my sister about it. She is having a problem but she down in Florida and she is gonna look into it.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks so much for leaving this review. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I lost my husband in January and now I live in the country. It gets a mile off the road and I'm all alone. I wouldn't have no way to get help right away. A friend of mine got Medical Alert and she was telling me about it. She said I need to have that just in case. My device is fine but I turned my other one in because it's too sensitive and it keeps going off on me. I got the original back and it was a little cheaper. They were supposed to give me a couple of months free, but they charged me last month. But overall, I am very secured. I feel very comfortable in case of emergency.

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for your story! Please call us if you would like us to look into your billing.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I went into a nursing home and canceled my account in February. I sent my stuff back but they still took money out of my account in June. I called in and was on hold for 33 minutes. As soon as I asked for a refund the phone went dead. I sent an email to them with what happened but I got no response. Here I am two days later and back on hold going on to 30 minutes but no answer; just a recording saying how important my call is to them. I have the routing number and all information from UPS. Should be easy to get fixed if I can get through. I have a feeling that I am not the first person to have this problem with them. I would not recommend their service just because of the problems I am now having.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Flora had a stroke then so we decided to get a Medical Alert and we've always had it. She feels a lot more comfortable with it and if I’m outside, she can’t get a hold of me. In fact, we've used it for an emergency and it worked good. Our front door doesn’t unlock when you open it. She got out and it was cold, and all she had on was her house coat. And she was able to summon help. The Medical Alert team got the key out of a lock and unlock the back door and came in, unlock the front door and she was able to get in. However, she's got a Medical Alert here which she signed up by mistake, the one for fall, and she didn’t realize it was gonna cost her $20 a month. It’s still in the box, never been opened and she was talking about sending it back.

Hi Paul,

You can return the fall detection pendent with a note stating the information below. You will need to send it via USPS, UPS or FedEx to obtain a tracking number. When you get the tracking number, if you will call Barb on my team, she can look for the equipment’s return.

At that point the Fall Detection Pendent will be canceled. The $20 actually covered a Protection Plan for $10 a month and the Fall Detection Button for $10 per month.

If you wish to cancel the Protection Plan, you should add that to the note you will be sending with the button. It will need to be returned to Medical Alert, 816 Park Way, Broomall, PA 19008.

Barb's phone number is 800-226-5400, Ext. 0057

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

December 9, 1017, I ordered two of Medical Alerts alert systems, while recovering from surgery after having a fall. I paid them for a full year -$439.89. After arriving home in March I called Medical Alert and asked them about my order. They claim they sent them. I told them I had never received them and wanted a refund. They had excuses like: "we won't be able to give you a full refund," "you should have contacted us sooner," etc. etc. I have called them monthly. Their response: "we have to get permission to give you the full refund," or "we will send you a check," etc. As of yet, I have not received a response from the company or a refund. The first time I called them was in March and now it is August! Still no refund of my money!

Hi Peggy,

I saw your complaint and had my escalation team reach out to you to sort this out asap.

I am glad to know Susan refunded your Visa card in full and sorted out the issue.

Sincerely,

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I had bought a Medical Alert for my son in Alabama. And when he died, I took it with me because I live alone and if I fall down, I don’t have the strength to get up. Medical Alert had talked me in to having it outside the house, but it was so sensitive that they came and I didn’t touch it. So I don’t like that. I've used it though and it has been very helpful and very nice. So far, everything is satisfactory.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I got the Medical Alert just in case there was a problem, and they're doing very well because it gives us some peace of mind.

Hi Oreon,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I'm glad I have the Medical Alert device. I wear it around my neck and I've been more careful knowing that I'm wearing it.

Hi Doris,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I fell and had a hard time getting up so I needed a medical alert device. Anytime I ever called Medical Alert I got good results. I feel very comfortable.

Hi Leonard,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I started sleeping with the Medical Alert band around my wrist because I had surgery on my neck. Then I got the door key on the doorknob in case I may fall on the floor or I can't get out of bed, and they can't get in and help me. The only difficulty I have is this thing won't go off if I fall down and I will have to press the button. Otherwise, I feel satisfied with Medical Alert. I got the device which any time when I go outside, I can talk to someone if I got a problem.

Hi Kevin,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Rupert was beginning to fall. I went to town and paid some bills, but when I came back, he was on the floor and couldn't get help. I saw Medical Alert advertised on TV and I took it. However, when we first got it, I was kinda disappointed in a way. They told me how much it was gonna be but then after a few months, I went ahead to put the insurance on it and it went up on me $15 more. I should have been told that beforehand. But as far as everything going and working, it's doing okay.

I try to test the button at least once a month or a little later just recording on what we're doing. Then by accident, I hit it twice and their response was quick. I've got that little box sitting in my kitchen, and I was in the living room when I was getting Rupert dressed and hit it. Then, I heard them and I talked to them. They asked me if I needed help and I told them that I hit it by accident and I'm sorry. They said, "It's quite all right," then asked if everything was okay. I appreciate them coming at me so fast every time. With the Medical Alert device, Rupert and I feel more confident about his safety. I would recommend them.

Hi Katie,

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Connect America, Medical Alert and/or Alarm Company (Connect America) provides emergency monitoring and home alarm services to aging adults across the United States who have medical conditions but want to live independently at home. Choose from an annual, semi-annual or monthly plan.

• On-the-go option: Enjoy the security Connect America offers even when you aren’t inside your home with their convenient on-the-go option. This mobile device comes with a lanyard and belt clip and is GPS enabled.

• Easy in-home installation: Your Medical Alert system is easy to set up. Simply plug the base into any wall outlet, connect your phone cord and turn it on.

• Emergency alert bracelet or pendant: Wear your emergency alert bracelet or pendant at all times to have quick and easy access to help. Simply push the button and get connected through your base.

• Free brochure: Send away for a free brochure to learn more about MedicalAlert’s system.

• Wireless system available: Homes that do not have a landline can still enjoy the peace of mind that comes from Medical Alert thanks to their wireless emergency response system. This includes a base unit and an emergency pendant or bracelet.

• Best for: GreatCall devices are best for caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information