2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5
Based on 1,175 ratings submitted in the last year
Limited Time Sale with Purchase!*
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Medical Alert by Connect America provides comprehensive at-home and on-the-go medical alert systems to keep you safe and independent while living in your own home or community. Their medical alert systems provide 24/7 monitoring and access to emergency response at the push of a button. Each system is available with a Fall Detection Pendant, which can sense a fall and connect you to an operator even if you cannot push your button. Enjoy the independence you love and the security you need knowing that help is always just a button push away.

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Alert has a range of alert devices and a helpful caregiver app. Costs increase as services are added, but annual payment plans include perks like free shipping and a lockbox discounted service.

PROS

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS technology and fall detection
  • Wide selection of medical alert systems

CONS

• Additional cost for extra services

Top Medical Alert Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

I wear my Medical Alert all the time and I don't have any problem. I was 82 when I got it. I’m 86 now, and I live alone... I call in and check it every month and their staff has been very cooperative. They are knowledgeable and very kind. I would recommend it highly. I do all the time.

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called… It was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and making sure I was okay during that period of 5 or 10 minutes before the paramedics came. I felt very safe.

Medical Alert Call Now Toll Free (800) 852-0856 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is Medical Alert?

Older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance; plus, Medical Alert buttons are lightweight and waterproof, allowing you to wear it comfortably in the shower.

By wearing the Medical Alert pendant or wristband, you can summon help during any crisis or medical emergency. Fall detection technology triggers a connection with an emergency operator even if you’re unable to push the Medical Alert button.

Medical Alert products

Compare Medical Alert systems

All Medical Alert At Home systems come with the option to add fall detection for an additional $10 per month. With the Mobile Medical Alert system, fall detection is included with an annual payment plan.

At Home LandlineAt Home WirelessMobile
At Home Landline$22.95$18.95
At Home Wireless$32.95$27.45
Mobile$37.95$32.04

About Medical Alert monitoring center

The Medical Alert monitoring center is staffed by highly trained, multilingual operators who answer calls quickly to determine the best course of action, whether its dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact. Translation services are available in 140 languages, ensuring callers are understood when they need help. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. They will continue talking to you until help arrives, and can instantly contact a family member or caregiver. Regardless of the situation, you’ll speak to someone kind, caring and responsive.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the innovative Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it’s easy for family members, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch with you and monitor your health and safety. The app lets any caregiver check your device status, contact list and testing schedule. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how you’re doing and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it's automatically updated whenenver the company's support team updates your information.

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert systems work?
Medical Alert systems work by directly connecting you with an emergency operator during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, help is summoned and a family member or caregiver is contacted for you.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Medicare plans do not typically cover Medical Alert or any similar emergency systems.
What is Medical Alert’s average response time?
Medical Alert calls are answered in less than a minute by qualified, highly trained operators who will speak to you in your native language.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert medical alert system?
You’ll need to sign a Monitoring Agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term service contracts are required.
What is Medical Alert’s return policy?
You can cancel your service and return your equipment at any time without charge by contacting Medical Alert customer service.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Alert monitoring service?
You won’t have to pay extra for your spouse to add a second device. And with annual payment plans, an extra wearable pendant or wristband is provided.
Where are Medical Alert monitoring centers located?
All Medical Alert monitoring stations are located in the United States. The operators are trained, qualified and able to communicate in several languages.
Do Medical Alert emergency response services require a landline?
No. If you have a landline, you can set up your monitoring device through that landline; however, wireless technology is also available.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Medical Alert equipment is guaranteed to work and if it doesn’t, you can return it for a replacement through Medical Alert customer service.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes. Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert medical systems are waterproof. You can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath.
How much does Medical Alert cost per month?
Low-cost Medical Alert systems start at $19.99. Customers get discounts, free shipping and additional equipment when they choose the semi-annual or annual payment plans.

Do we recommend Medical Alert?

Yes. Medical Alert services keep people safe inside and outside of their homes by summoning help and notifying caregivers. The Medical Alert help button removes the cumbersome step of having to find a phone and dial for help. The system is easy to set up and operate. There are several payment plan options, a helpful caregiver app and a well-trained staff of emergency operators who can speak several languages. While costs can multiply as services are added, the annual payment plan offers perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I’m 86 years old, I'm living alone, and my husband had just expired. I talked about getting Medical Alert before but I hadn't done it. Then, four days after that, I fell. I didn’t get hurt but I said to myself, “God, you get me up from here, I’m going to get Medical Alert.” And I did. So far, my time with Medical Alert has been good. One time, I called them because I was interested in getting the fall alert and I got put on hold. After 45 minutes, I had to go to the bathroom, so I said I’d call later. I’m just not used to staying on the telephone for 45 minutes. Then, they called an alarm because they couldn't get me and they felt something had happened to me. And here came all these medics out here, which was very nice, but I didn't need them.

I know that the system works though and it alerts my daughter as well as my grandson. My grandson’s in Bush, Louisiana, but he's in charge of everything. And my daughter works at a medical clinic and they'd call her. Then, they'd call them back, but sometimes, the Medical Alert team would be already on their way. And sometimes, 12 people would show up, which happened twice. But I thanked them for coming and I know I’m covered, so I’m okay.

At another time, they said the thing had gone off a couple times, but I didn't punch the button. I decided that the cords around it were too long. I’m short and I’m sure that if I got it close to the sink and that one was hanging down, I might turn it on. I didn’t want to do that, so I shortened the cords on each one of them and hadn’t had any more problems since. I could wear them around my neck and not worry. I just have to be careful because when you’re short and you’re getting up to the washing machine or around the kitchen, it can set the alarm off.

Other than that, my bill has gone up now. I had to pay $599 a year for both the fall thing and the Medical Alert. Then I got this thing about insurance and I don't need any more insurance on anything. However, they deducted $10 from my bank account and I wasn't too happy about that. But I hadn't been able to get ahold of anybody about that yet. Besides that, I have recommended Medical Alert to several friends because I felt like they needed it as well as I did.

Hi Bernice,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am sorry about your husband.

Connect America Medical Alert

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

At the time that I got my Medical Alert device, I was seeing a nurse practitioner. Since I lived alone, she thought I needed it and the children didn't object to me having it. I don't feel it's necessary but the children seem to think it is. My daughter-in-law kinda thinks I should have the one that automatically goes off if I fall but I haven't added it. Most of the time, I'm satisfied with it. I put it on every morning and take it off when I go to sleep. I know it's there and if I go out, I feel very confident. Comparing it to others, there's some difference that I like in one of them. But overall, it wasn't enough for me to feel like it was worth trying to change. But I can cancel this anytime I like and return the equipment to Medical Alert since I don't own it.

However, I set the device off too much. It's sensitive and sometimes it's very frustrating when it goes off. I've hit the bathtub when I'm scrubbing it so I either take it off or be very careful when I do that. One day, I was in the kitchen trying to make a pie and I don't know how I hit it. I was rolling dough. I had a phone call and they couldn't reach me. They reached my daughter. Before she could get back with them that I was fine, I had the EMTs here. They were very nice. One time, they couldn't find me. They called my daughter who happened to be in Florida. She told them I was supposed to be at a play with my granddaughter and that was where I was. I never did know that I had set it off 'til they told me and I still don't know how I set it off.

One thing I do dislike about this is you can't talk to somebody unless you're near your transmitter or have your transmitter with you. One company makes one that has the button you can push and also talk, but it's larger than what the round button is that you have to wear. Another thing is I don't like the black cord. I wish it was a lighter color. Also, one rep will say one thing and somebody else will tell me something else. You don't know who's right and who's wrong.

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please feel free to call customer service to ask about options, as we are always upgrading and introducing new accessory options.

Medical Alert by Connect America

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

The reception and everything is good. The first time I used my Medical Alert, I couldn't breathe very well. I just sat there for a minute to see if I would get there, but it didn't get any better. I stay by myself and the circumstances out here where I stay is a little difficult. So, I went on and called and used it. There was a lot going on here in Jackson and different alert emergencies were going on. So, it took the team a while to get here, but they finally came, picked me up and got me to the hospital. I know it's mainly when you fall or you can't get up or anything like that. But that particular time, because I stay alone, it was a good thing to have.

When I fell outside that particular day, it was hot, but I was sitting outside and I fell down, and when I went to stand, everything went blank. I was still in my walker. If it had not been for a neighbor here in my complex saw me hit the ground, I would've been just laying there. But I had hit the ground and hit my head, and he just so happened to see me, and that was a wake- up call then that I needed to try to find some kind of way to get me one to have. I don't walk all over my apartment with my phone with me. So, I may leave it in one room, fall in another room, and can't get to it. That was a wake-up call for me.

My children pushed me about it way before then that I need to have it because I had a tendency to fall having arthritis. It would sometimes sneak up on me and I could get up and then be okay, and next thing I know, I'm on the ground. A lot of places were so expensive, but I'm on a fixed income. I needed something that I could afford and make sure I have. I had to talk to my cardiologist before I could wear it. He said as long as I didn't put it on the device at all, it wouldn't bother me so I got it tied. When I put it on, it's a distance from the area where the device is. But other than that, I've been happy with it. I saw another friend of mine who has a life alert as well, but she is under different circumstances and she never had to charge it. I charge mine every day. But whenever the green light comes on, I know it's fully charged and everything. I try my best to keep it charged, so when I go out, if I had to use it, I'll be in good hands.

I would recommend Medical Alert to a friend. There's a lot of people that say they don't need and would say that they don't need it, and I tell them it's a good idea to have simply because if you're in a state where you fall or pass out somewhere, if you have underlying medical issues, it would be good to have because they may be no one around to help you.

Hi Patricia,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I had a different medical alert device for several years, but I hardly ever used it. Then, I switched over to Medical Alert because I called that other company and I didn't get any response. And they turned to find out that they used it with something not quite right, so I dropped them and switched to this one. Recently, I had an incident. It wasn't an emergency, but I was doing a test and nobody came on. Then somebody at the cellular people called me and asked if there was a problem. I told them there wasn't and they said that for some reason I couldn't hear them. They told me that they would have somebody call me and see if there was something wrong because this is a new phone system. It's now a land cell instead of a regular land phone and it's got lots of problems. I talked to somebody named Jessica last week and told her about them. But nothing's changed yet. The phone is the pits and I hate it.

Despite that, I don't have any problems with the Medical Alert. But in order to use it, I had to get a new piece of equipment which increased by $96 a year. And they were charging me something but their rep said that he'd reduce it, as long as I don't change. Maybe Medical Alert should contact the telephone company and tell them that their customer is not at all happy with their service.

Other than that, someone called recently and told me about a device that I could wear around my neck which would find me wherever. It wouldn't be just here in the house but I should not wear it at night. And that's because if I fall asleep, it would alert the world. I got it and it was kind of big. Then, I have a sleep problem. I get really tired and sleep all at different times. So I got to thinking that every time I go to sleep, that's going to be to be telling them that something is wrong. So I sent it back and I haven't got my $60 back yet. But when I get my Visa credit card statement, I'm sure it'll be on there

Hi Ruth,

I've forwarded your complaint. Someone from our escalation team will reach out to you to discuss.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: July 30, 2020

Some years back, I saw an advertisement and I had been disillusioned with Life Alert and they were priced so high I couldn't afford it, so I did have to quit it. Then I found an ad and I called Medical Alert and I was on their list for a while until I moved into this area. Every once in a while, I’d push that little button, and I had it until I moved over here. This facility here that I moved into is assisted living, and then they had their own. But all the other places that I was at, they stressed, “Wear it in the bathroom, in the shower. Don't take it off when you shower.”

I take my device off. I put it on that little ledge. It was in the shower up above the direct spray, but it did get the mist and it killed it. The rep said, “She told you no water.” I said, ”She did not. Nobody told me don’t get it wet." He said, “It’s electronic. You don’t get the electronics wet.” I said, ‘I don’t know electronics.” We had to put a $100 deposit down on that to get it. I told the guy they're gonna have to give me another one. He said for another $100, I can. So I did without it for a while. The only thing that I hadn't quite figured out is if I needed somebody here in my apartment and I pressed for Medical Alert, they wouldn't come directly to my apartment. This facility that I’m in now is built in a square. There's a courtyard in the center, and they can't get inside unless they go to the front door.

I had to push my button for Medical Alert and my daughter said that the fire department was outside and there are people. Everybody was confused. So, I need some kind of prediction. I don't think it was right for the rep to tell me “Well for another 100, you can have another pendant.” He said, “Well, they cost me more than that.” If he could have kinda given me a little browbeating like, “Don’t get it wet!” I said, “What good is it if you can’t get it in the shower?” But there is that panic button right by the shower. If you fall, you're not gonna be able to reach that panic button. Overall, I’m very satisfied with it.

Original review: April 1, 2021

When you need them they are there, they help when you have a issue, customer service is above and they go beyond what is expected.

Original review: March 31, 2021

My doctor calls me because of the circumstances now but I usually use the Medical Alert device when I go to the hospital. The last time I had to use it, my man was down and I was sick. I called Medical Alert and they talked to me but I didn't have to go to the hospital. I appreciate having the Medical Alert here.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I wear the Medical Alert on my neck and it fits into my everyday life just fine.

Original review: March 27, 2021

My mom has a Medical Alert system. She lives with us and we always want her to be safe. The system is expensive but worth it. Excellent service. I highly recommend them to consumers looking for excellent customer service.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I got my aunt the Medical alert and it has been so helpful. The medical alert has been great for my aunt. Especially when she feels a seizure coming on. She can notify the proper authorities within a few seconds. Then they notify myself. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for that extra safety when it comes to a loved one.

Medical Alert Company Information