Call toll free
4.55/5
Based on 622 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, the largest independent medical alarm company in North America offering lifesaving at home and on the go medical alarm solutions to consumers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide. Medical Alert allows customers to live independently and safely while staying in their own homes and communities. If help is needed, you can push a button and connect with SIA-certified monitoring professionals at UL-accredited, 5 diamond, fully redundant emergency monitoring centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fall detection is available on every system so even if you can't push your button you can get help. Medical Alert is recommended by leading hospitals, home healthcare agencies, and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert you can enjoy independence at home or on the go. In any emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

626 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

Medical Alert's service was obtained for this lady because her husband died and she was left alone. She has both the necklace and the bracelet, but she only wears the help button on her wrist and she seems to get along fine with it, but she doesn't wear the necklace that much. So far, she has only used the alert service twice. We had the wrong number at first so that confused everybody, but once we got that straightened out it worked really well and the response time of the team at Medical Alert was really good. She had fallen and then they asked her if she was okay and she said yes, so they thought she was okay. She was okay but she couldn't get up, so there was a misunderstanding. Nevertheless, she feels really secure with the Medical Alert service.

Hi Diana,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am glad all is well.

Top 626 Reviews and Complaints about Medical Alert

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 16, 2018

I'm getting a little older and we keep getting frightened on the TV that people fall and then can’t get up. I’m not at that stage yet and I don't have a tendency of falling, but I got a Medical Alert for security purposes. I have it on my wrist. I call Medical Alert every month to make certain that the unit is working and they’ve been all right.

Hi Arnold,

Thanks so much for your feedback! It's a good idea to be sure you're safe in advance of a fall vs. waiting until after it happens to consider getting a Medical Alert device.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: July 13, 2018

I fell and my son thought it was time to get a medical alert system for me, so he got Medical Alert's service for me. Before, I wore the alert device around my neck but I didn’t like that when I was on my journey to church. So, I got the bracelet and I wear it all the time. I like that I can wear it in the water. When I tested the device, the response team at Medical Alert reached me quickly. Also, my son comes and checks the device once in a while. I’ve had Medical Alert for a year or two and so far, my experience with them has been simple. But the price is a little too high. I had paid $400 and the fee was $79 a year. Then they billed me $60 for the tax and I paid them, so they should’ve paid for the tax.

Hi Virginia,

Original review: July 7, 2018

Ambulance arrived promptly. Ambulance personnel were very helpful. The only problem (major) was that I was alone and the ambulance personnel did not have the code (**) to the lock box on the front door. I was already in pain, but had to get up and let them in.

Hi Walter,

So glad the ambulance arrived quickly to help you.

Thanks so much for your review! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I’m on oxygen 24/7 and I've been using my Medical Alert device for two years and everything’s been great. I wear my device hanging around my neck. There was one time I laid it on the bed and I must’ve done it hard and it went out. And I thought it was sensitive.

Hi Janice,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: July 6, 2018

It's my second year with Medical Alert and I'm glad I have the device. I have dementia and I have a hard time, so I wanted to have something just in case something happened. I wear the device around my neck. When I pressed the button, the response was very good and they were here right away. Medical Alert is excellent.

Hi Mary,

Original review: July 6, 2018

I've fallen in the house and got a medical alert device. And I feel very lucky having the Medical Alert device with me. I wear it around my neck and it does pretty good. It’s better because with the other one I had before, the battery went dead. And the Medical Alert representatives do very well. The response time was very good when I tested it.

Hi June,

So glad it's working out!

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: July 5, 2018

My husband died. I live by myself and I have Parkinson’s disease. I got the Medical Alert device and I wear it on my neck. I tested it to make sure it works and they responded quickly. They were professional as well.

Hi Ruth,

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have Primary lateral sclerosis and having a Medical Alert device gave me a sense of security. I've had it for about four years now and it has worked. I've gotten used to the pendant around my neck. The response time was also good when I pressed it accidentally. The only thing is the price is going up.

Hi Gilbert,

Thank you for being a great customer and for taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I live alone and I’ve had Medical Alert device for a while now. I feel good having it. It’s always on my neck and at night, I put it close to me right in my little nightstand. Everyone I spoke to from Medical Alert was good and when I had to go to the ER twice, the team responded fast when I pushed the button. So far, the device is working well.

Hi Rebecca,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: July 3, 2018

Medical Alert has been very helpful. I’ve had to use my device twice, and they have showed concern for what was going on with me and got me the help I needed immediately. I’ve been very pleased with everything they’ve done. I feel a lot safer since I’ve had Medical Alert. When I first got it, I think it was ridiculous. I got it because my children wanted me to have it since I run up and down the interstate all the time.

I never thought I would ever need it. But the day I had vertigo and I went down on my bathroom floor, I thank God that I had it because I could not get up. Every time I moved, I was vomiting. And I was very thankful that I had a way of getting help. The Medical Alert team responded three minutes from the time I’ve called them. And the ambulance is only two blocks from my house, so it’s very quick that they got here. I wear my device on my neck. But when I called them, I used the other one that I carry either on my belt or in my purse because it happened to be in the bathroom and I couldn’t reach it. I have recommended Medical Alert. I have a friend here in town that got it, too.

Hi Armi,

Vertigo is awful! Thanks so much for your experience. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your story.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I live alone so I got a Medical Alert which I wear around my neck. It would come in handy if I would fall. Their reps were quick to respond when I tested it. So far, I’m satisfied with it.

Hi Alma,

Glad we're responding quickly for you. Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: July 2, 2018

My Medical Alert device has performed alright so far. I've talked to their reps and they have been cooperative. I fell out of my bed and then I couldn’t get out of bed, so I called and told them I wasn't in danger. But they called my son and he came down and got me out. It wasn’t very long that they responded. I wear it around my neck all the time and it gives me a little reassurance.

Hi John,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: July 1, 2018

I got this machine almost five years ago and it’s really helped me out. I accidentally pushed the button a few times and the Madison Township squad has been really nice to us. I was down in my neighbor’s once and I had that necklace around my neck. I guess I pushed it because when I went downstairs with all my friends, the manager and squad people came. They were asking for me and I asked what they were here for. They asked me if I pushed the button and I said I didn't know. They called my friend and got him up here. I was told to go back inside so I did. He asked if I was okay and I said yes. He asked if I fell and I said no. It scared him and me.

I don’t wear the device much inside my own apartment ‘cause I’m afraid I might push it and then they would call or get the squad here again. Everybody asks why I have to keep checking on that machine. But the machine said to test it monthly. That’s all I’ve been doing and I've never had trouble with that machine. The people at Medical Alert have been doing good.

Hi Wilda,

I am so glad your Medical Alert is keeping you safe.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2018

My experience with Medical Alert has been okay. I decided to get the device because I live alone and I have a bunch of stairs to go up and down. I was afraid that I might fall some time going up and down the stairs and no one would know. I wear the device on my wrist and I don’t like it. I also don’t want to wear it around my neck as it's uncomfortable. Furthermore, I am not satisfied with the medical alert system and I can get a cheaper one than what I have now. I am on a fixed income, so I’m thinking about changing.

Hi Phyllis,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Please let me know if someone can reach out to you. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I've had a Medical Alert button for three years and it works fine. I was falling quite a bit but since having the device, I feel safer. I've used it a couple of times and the emergency response people were very kind. They were also right here pretty quickly. I wear my Medical Alert button around my neck and it's pretty comfortable.

Hi Ivandell,

Original review: June 29, 2018

We’re getting up in age and our kids thought that we needed to have a Medical Alert in case something happened because they don’t live nearby. Everybody is happy that we have it. We just don’t think about it because it’s there. The only complaint I have is that I got my bank statement and there was $60 that was charged from Medical Alert. After I saw that on the bank statement, I got a notice from Medical Alert saying, “Thank you for choosing the insurance on the equipment.” We weren’t informed that they were gonna be adding insurance on it. Nonetheless, we’re doing fine. They respond very quickly whenever we test it.

Hi Jane,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 28, 2018

My children wanted me to have a Medical Alert and I've had mine for years. I wear it around my neck and sometimes it's a pain when something hangs on your neck. But the device is good and I've not had any problems with the reps I've spoken with. I have recommended it to people.

Hi Margaret,

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been trying to get a refund from Medical Alert for almost 6 weeks for a system that would not work. On May 9th I contacted the Medical Alert company by telephone to ask about their Medical Alert Systems for my mother-in-law. On that date I visited with a salesperson about the various systems and charges and advised them at that time that my mother-in-law did not have a landline or a smartphone, but she did have a cell phone and that she lived in a remote rural area so I was concerned about having good service. After giving the salesperson her address I was advised that yes they had service in that area. So I ordered the Mobile Elite System AND PAID $204.00 UP FRONT FOR 6 MONTHS SERVICE for this system.

The device was delivered on or about May 15th. We tried all evening to get the system to stay connected with no avail. On May 16th my mother-in-law called the company and they also tried to get the system to work and stay connected and again failed. They told her they would send out a box to return the system to the company and give us a refund. On or about May 18th my mother-in-law returned the device to the company. On JUNE 12th, I called customer service for this company to check on the status of my refund. I was told the system was received back on May 29th and it would take up to 3 weeks for the refund to be processed.

On JUNE 20th, 3 weeks from May 29th, I called again to check on the status of my refund and was told that the refund was processed JUNE 12 and would take up to 3 weeks to process. So, what happened from May 29 to June 12??? As of this date I have not yet received a refund. I did try to call again today but was immediately put on hold. So please be aware of this company and their misrepresentation... about 1) service for a remote area, 2) charging immediately without confirming the mechanism works and 3) giving the runaround on refunding after receipt of the returned item. BE CAREFUL with this company.

Hi Sherri,

We processed this refund and canceled the account. We gave a refund of $209.70. Barb from our escalation team left you a message to call her back just so she could explain some things to you and assure you we are not in the business of giving anyone the runaround.

To address your complaints, it's worth noting that our coverage comes from the AT&T coverage map. Also, the charge was done at the time of the sale as we charge prior to shipment -- in keeping with the way all products from any supplier are charged when the item is shipped. The equipment is tested prior to shipping, so we know it works when we ship it. The only variable is the AT&T Coverage Map, which we have no control over. I am very sorry the AT&T coverage was poor in your Mom's rural area and wish we could do something about that.

Thank you for reaching out to us and thanks for giving Medical Alert a try! Please don't hesitate to call Barb back if there's anything else you need.

Best,

Original review: June 27, 2018

I had a pacemaker put in on my stomach so I decided to get a Medical Alert which I have around my neck. I check it every now and then, and I feel good about their response. It has been a fine experience, so far.

Hi Gail,

So glad your experience is going well.

We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your review.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 26, 2018

I’m 73 years old and in case I fall, my Medical Alert device is a good thing to have. I wear my button around my neck and it’s comfortable. Overall, Medical Alert has been very good.

Hi Bernadette,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've been using Medical Alert for over a year now. My daughter said that I should have it. I had accidentally set it off and they were very good.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 24, 2018

I live alone and I’ve been with my Medical Alert device for a few years. I wear it around my neck and I'm fine with it. Lately it’s been taking a while for somebody to respond, but they’ve been responding. Also, it was ringing by itself but it's been okay now.

Good morning Edna,

Original review: June 23, 2018

I wear my Medical Alert device over my neck, and it’s comfortable. It is nice and safe, too. I have called emergencies on this, and the Medical Alert team responded really well.

Hi Rebecca,

So glad our team is responding well. Thanks so much for your feedback. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I'm alone, I fall and I get dizzy a lot, and having Medical Alert has changed my sense of security. I wear it around my neck and I've used it quite a bit. Their responses were great and they were very efficient and kind.

Hi Clara,

I am sorry you're going through that but so glad Medical Alert gives you peace of mind. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 22, 2018

Having a Medical Alert at 95 is very comforting knowing that I have it. I test it every month. When I call 800-332-8570 to put it on test mode, it beeps and then it says, “Putting your account on test” for 15 minutes. They respond quickly and it was painless.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 21, 2018

I’ve had no problem with what is on my bracelet and when I needed to add something to my bracelet they have been very good about the addition. When I need to order a new bracelet they are very helpful.

Hi Sandra,

We are always here for you!

Thanks so much for your review. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have had no problems with this device you submitted. It works well, the service is there if I need it, and I feel protected. When I need help we call your service department and they can answer questions we may have.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was having difficulty with getting a response to my testing. After talking with customer service and technical support the issue was resolved very quickly I have been very pleased with my service since starting with medical alert. Thank you for being there for me.

Hi Roberta,

Yes, we are always here for you!

Original review: June 20, 2018

There are no complaints from this customer. You have always been there when needed. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a company of your stature on their side. Keep up your good work. Thank you for all you do.

Hi Pat,

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Connect America, Medical Alert and/or Alarm Company (Connect America) provides emergency monitoring and home alarm services to aging adults across the United States who have medical conditions but want to live independently at home. Choose from an annual, semi-annual or monthly plan.

• On-the-go option: Enjoy the security Connect America offers even when you aren’t inside your home with their convenient on-the-go option. This mobile device comes with a lanyard and belt clip and is GPS enabled.

• Easy in-home installation: Your Medical Alert system is easy to set up. Simply plug the base into any wall outlet, connect your phone cord and turn it on.

• Emergency alert bracelet or pendant: Wear your emergency alert bracelet or pendant at all times to have quick and easy access to help. Simply push the button and get connected through your base.

• Free brochure: Send away for a free brochure to learn more about MedicalAlert’s system.

• Wireless system available: Homes that do not have a landline can still enjoy the peace of mind that comes from Medical Alert thanks to their wireless emergency response system. This includes a base unit and an emergency pendant or bracelet.

• Best for: GreatCall devices are best for caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information