Call toll free
4.49/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert by Connect America, one of the nation’s largest providers of personal emergency response systems, is trusted by hundreds of thousands of customers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert, you get all the benefits of a big business with the heart, personalization and customer service of a small company. One of the first companies of its kind in the market, Medical Alert has always taken a customer-first approach. The company offers a full suite of affordable, easy to use products designed to keep you safe at home and on the go. They also offer Automatic Fall Detection, an invaluable service through which a highly trained emergency response operator is notified of a fall even if a user cannot push the help button. Their products are lightweight, waterproof and completely reliable. Their prices are also extremely affordable, and their customer service is unmatched, making them a great choice for those seeking safety, security and ultimate peace of mind.

With all of that to offer and more, it’s really no surprise Medical Alert has secured an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, and is the company of choice for customers, caregivers and hospitals alike.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

781 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Most crooked deal I've seen in a long time! The company cheated my 88 year old mother and then charged my Credit Card, her son, for another year on the third renewal all of a sudden. I've been waiting for over a week to get a refund and they keep saying it's been processed and put back to my card. My mother signed up for automatic renewal - taking advantage of an elderly woman - and they clearly had nothing signed by me to charge my card and did so fraudulently. I keep telling them that I did not give them authority to charge my card and they keep saying my mother signed up for automatic renewal - I say, "Then charge her not me," and they simply don't care. I've called 4 times and have confirmation numbers and they say they don't care about the conf # that they gave me. CROOKED place to do business. RUN away!

Hi Dennis,

After looking into this, we see the account was refunded $549.89 on 2/12/19. We received the Mobile Elite unit on 2/18/19, but not the Fall Detection Button. Normally, there is a $150.00 lost unit fee for the fall detection button which we are not charging for as a courtesy. This account was set to auto pay which means we did have prior approval to charge this account. The auto pay feature could have been turned off at any time but we were never notified.

We are very sorry that you feel this way about Medical Alert, particularly since the unit was used in October of last year to dispatch emergency services.

We value our customers and are always working to provide an excellent customer experience.

Sincerely,
________________________________________

Hi Dennis,

We have an A+ rating from the BBB and do not cheat customers.

I am escalating your complaint and will have someone reach out to you to sort this issue asap.

Sincerely,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

All these companies such as this, are ripoffs. Easy to get into, but when time you don't need them is not customer service you talk to but the collection dept and it does not do what they say they will do. They wait and bill you for another month and say you hadn't request anything. The only thing they send out is a label which I didn't get, once you get the label then you send back the equipment first then the companies cancel your account and charge you another billing. These companies are ran from but outside the US.

Hi Bobby,

I am glad Sue was able to connect with you today.

She confirmed she is sending you a return label and will credit the outstanding invoices now. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do.

Best,
______________

Hi Bobby, We are headquartered in Philadelphia, PA and do not have offices outside of North America.

I am sending your information along to our escalation team and someone will reach out to you to better understand your complaint and sort through any issues so you are not longer getting calls.

Thanks,

Customer Reviews Manager, Connect America

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I’m getting clumsy and I’m afraid I might fall down. But when I didn't have my Medical Alert device for about a month, it quit working. I called them and they told me to send that old one back then they sent me a new one. They also told me to take it off when I go to bed because when I move around, that sets it off. But there were lots of times that I would forget and go to bed with it at home. Also, I work at a shop and I’m always laying down. I would be underneath the car working and when I roll over, that sets the device off. So finally, I just put it up. It's just too much trouble. I also called them once and they transferred me over to somebody else. I was gonna pay them for a year at the time but the rep was sarcastic with me so I hung up and threw the device in the drawer. I'm paying 40-something dollars a month but I don’t need it.

I hated that thing you gotta wear on your belt. We used to wear pagers and I hated those things with a passion. I didn’t know that I had to wear that thing all the time and I do the same thing with this Medical Alert thing. As for that watch band thing, I was always sticking my hands somewhere and setting that thing off. If I just had one device, like that thing hanging around the neck, that would be fine. But you have that thing hanging on your belt, that one hanging around your neck and the one on your arm. That thing that hangs around your neck needs to have a speaker in it. So that’s all I would have to wear and if I fell down or got hurt, all I would have to do is push that button. It also needs something so you wouldn’t have to charge that battery up on that thing all the time.

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. It sounds like you've tried a wrist version and a pendant.

Please let me know if there's anything we can do for you. I can have someone call you who can check in to see if there's anything you need.

Thanks,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had three friends who lived by themselves. One had a stroke and they didn’t find her for three days. One fell in her kitchen and nobody found her until the next morning. The other one fell in her garden and wasn’t found until the next morning. I thought I would need something so that I can notify if anything happens to me. In fact, I believe every woman or man who lives by himself should have something.

I've had Medical Alert for four years and I don’t worry now. When it's gotten pushed, it's always been an accident and when that happens, they call me. One time I was not at home and I didn’t know I had pushed it. I had pushed the thing around my neck and the white thing was up at my hotel room. I didn’t take it with me because I was with my children and figured I didn’t need it. They called and of course, they couldn't get ahold of me. They tried to get ahold of my son and when they couldn't get ahold of him, they called the gatehouse of the community I live in. She knew where I was and that I was all right so she called my daughter and then my daughter called Medical Alert. I used to accidentally touch the button a lot because I kept it in my pocket when I walked. But I'm not walking as much anymore so I've not had any accidental pushing.

Hi Dianne,

We agree that Medical Alert gives peace of mind and keeps you protected in the event of an emergency.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I wanted security and I feel very comfortable now that I have a Medical Alert device. I used it a couple of times when I first got it. I fell a couple of times. Medical Alert's response time was fine. I wish they'll quit calling and trying to sell me more services. Other than that, I would recommend it.

Hi Ruth,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I’m 91 years old and I was in a wreck where I broke my neck, arms and both of my legs. I also fell on the bathroom and broke my hip and leg. A friend of mine has Medical Alert and they said it was good. I've had to use it several times about getting in and out of the bathtub. It wasn’t called in but my friends would be in the house and they would hear me talking. Then, they would come to my rescue. I haven’t had any problems with it and the company. They handled the situations really good but after a while, I couldn’t afford it. I needed something on me in case I fell and that would have cost even more, so I just had to quit.

Hi Virgie,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I live by myself and my daughter put the Medical Alert device in. She wanted to feel that she can contact me and that was the only reason why I have it. But the one I'm wearing on my wrist slips around on my arm and I might cut a piece off of this one. Also, sometimes, I'm running and trying to do things and I hit it without even knowing. The other night, two policemen came. I thought somebody was breaking in. I turned on all of my lights and I saw them on their uniforms on in the hallway. It scared me a little bit but still, I haven't had any problems with the device.

Hi Rovena,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My husband had dementia and I got the Medical Alert device mostly for him. He passed away, so then I took it over for myself. Being alone, I feel better that I have my device because if I should fall or even if someone tried to break in, I could still call for help. I have t around my neck and it seems to be working okay. I’ve pushed the button once when I had an emergency and they took me to the hospital and another time which I hit by mistake and set it off. They responded quickly. The only part that I don’t like about it, when I set it off, I had to hurry and go in the bedroom where it is and push the alarm thing. Despite that, I’d still recommend them.

Hi Lela,

I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I got my Medical Alert device for myself. I had fallen twice in one day, and I live alone. Though I can’t wear the device outside, it’s useful in my apartment right now. So in a way, I feel a little more secure knowing it’s there. I wear it on my wrist and for some reason the leather strap is uncomfortable, with the two thick beads in there which I’ve never figured out what it’s for. One thing that bothers me is that they called me one time wanting to know if I wanted more protection on there. I told them, “No,” and then I found out they went and put that protection on. Other than that, I’m happy with my experience.

Hi Myrna,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was falling a lot so I got the Medical Alert device. I used it for an emergency, and the team asked me if I was okay and if I was not physically hurt. I would fall and couldn't get up, and they would come to pick me up. They sent the ambulance and they had to bring me to hospital once. There was another time where they came and picked me up and then brought me to my chair where I sleep in, and they left.

My device is okay and I'm fine with the band. But I can’t stand it on the neck. I wear it on my wrist, and it’s okay. I can bathe. I have a walk-in bathtub, and physically, I can take care of myself with washing. But sometimes, when I go to the bathroom and I have to pull up my panties, I lose my balance and I fall back on the toilet seat. I broke my toilet seat and the hinges. I fell back on it. Just this week, I had to hold the button again to make it comforting for myself. And so, it’s okay to have this button to push in case I can’t get up, and I can call them. And sometimes I can go to the box quickly enough to tell them that I’m okay.

The thing is I have a box in my kitchen, and it goes off too often. I haven't been falling and I’ve been doing good. I can’t walk too good and I can’t talk too good anymore. But I did not push the button, and yet that goes off, and then I have to rush to my kitchen to put the button down, and then I do not call them. And sometimes I would be on one end of the house, and that goes off. I had to rush quickly to the box because it’s so far away from me. I would not want someone to come unnecessarily. Medical Alert is good to have because I know I have a way out, and it’s comforting. Whoever wants to have Medical Alert, I would recommend it but only if they would give them decent choices.

Hi Kathe,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I got the Medical Alert device and wear it on my neck which doesn't bother me because I have it in between my shirt and my undergarment. One time, I was having awful pain in my legs and I thought I had broken a hip. I used the Medical Alert device and the responders were very kind and polite. I'm very satisfied and I am glad to know that if something will happen, I can get help.

Hi Mildred,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had a broken back, a broken shoulder twice, broken arm, artificial knees, and I walk with a walker. And I live alone now. So, I'm afraid to fall if I go out. I got a Medical Alert device and I fell going out, and I had to use it. The response time was great. The Medical Alert team also phone me continuously if it's down on battery. I'm happy with it. I would advise my friends to get Medical Alert if they needed it.

Hi Raymond,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My husband was falling a lot. Most of the time, I was here and I could get help to get him up. However, sometimes, he would be out in the garden and I wouldn’t be here, so we thought it would be a good idea to get the Medical Alert for him. He didn’t like the bracelet because it would slide around to the underside of his arm and then, when he would go to get up such as in a recliner, he would cause the alert to go off. So, he decided that he was not gonna wear it anymore. So, part of the time, he wore it and part of the time, I wore the necklace which we also got, so I could call for help to help him. That was the original plan and then, when he got bad enough, we had to put him in the nursing home.

Not too long after that, my son-in-law’s mother fell in the bathtub. She laid there from 1 o’clock to 5 o’clock. She called for her husband but he didn’t hear. I thought that I’m here by myself now and I need to wear it. After that happened, I called Medical Alert because I was thinking that I needed to have the fall thing. I got on the deal that if I fall, then somebody will know about it. Sometimes, I would accidentally activate it if I press a jar or something to my chest to open it. All of a sudden, it starts saying, “Emergency! Emergency!” So, I come in here, turn it off and hit clear. We’ve never had them actually contact people to come and help us. We’ve always been able to do it ourselves but it’s good insurance to know that we would have help if we needed it. I didn’t feel I needed it when there were two of us here at home but after he was gone, I thought, “Gosh, it could happen to me.”

Hi Leola,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I found out my potassium levels and sodium levels dropped really low. When it drops really low, I get dizzy and fall down, and then I don’t know where I’m at. Somebody comes and finds me. I got a medical alert device just in case I fall down. The last time I fell, I was in a nursing home. I called Medical Alert then. They were nice. They explained the button and the charging system, the device that you have to keep on charge. But I didn’t realize that you gotta take that little device with you everywhere you go. You gotta put it in a case and put it in your pocket, or it’s not gonna work if you leave the house and go to the grocery store. It won’t work within 500 feet of the house, unless you got that little device with you.

I’ve tested the button on my necklace. I’ve accidentally punched it a couple of times, and they said, “Press the button within 33 seconds, unless you need help, to clear it when it’s a mistaken call.” So, it clears itself. I’ve always been able to clear it before they sent an ambulance out here. Having that service makes me feel more secure. I also got a box on my door for a key. If I fall, I’m not able to get up to go to the door. Since I hadn’t had any calls, they ought to give me a non-use discount on this thing. But I’d recommend them.

Hi Robert,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The Medical Alert device was recommended to me so I got one. I wear it around my neck and at nighttime it is right above our bed or in the bed with me. I have used the help button before to check. So far, the alert device has been useful, although I haven’t had to use it a lot. But just knowing that I have it, if it is what it’s supposed to be, then I feel comfortable. If it does what they say, then it’s worth having. I am satisfied with it because it has been to me what it was recommended for.

Hi Odell,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have recommended Medical Alert to several friends. My experience has been good. I have MS and I live alone and while I haven’t had to use the system, I have a very good sense of security since I've had it.

Hi Janice,

Thanks so much for your feedback and personal recommendations! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Anybody that is over 70 years old ought to have a Medical Alert. I've had one for a good while now. They talked me into stuff that I didn’t need though, like the thing if you fall. I can’t wear that thing. I've got to hang it on the side of my bed. On the other hand, I've had to use my Medical Alert one or two times, and it worked. I just needed to go to the hospital. There was also one time that it went off but I didn’t know it did and they showed up. Overall, I’m satisfied with my Medical Alert.

Hi Richard,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I'm 84 years old and I live by myself, so I decided to get a Medical Alert device. I got one over the phone and since getting it I've been wearing it around my neck during the day and on my wrist at night. I feel confident that I can get help if I need it.

Hi Dona,

Glad you're ok. Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got Parkinson's and I kept on falling so I got a Medical Alert. One time, I pushed it by mistake and the response time was fast. I've had it for a month now and so far, I like it and it's doing fine.

Hi Jerry,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I live alone and I’m 90 years old. I felt that I needed the Medical Alert in my house so I got one. When I tested it, they responded immediately. I’ve been very satisfied with it and it’s been good for me, so far.

Hi Justine,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I’ve had a couple of mishaps here and there, and on one of them, I wound up on the floor in my apartment. For five hours, I couldn't get up. Luckily, my neighbor finally came home. And after that, I was like, “I better get something.” I got a device from Medical Alert. It came with the lock for the door, and I gave each of my neighbors and my daughter a set of keys. So, they have the information that they need in case they have to get in to help me. I gave them the code, so they won’t have to break down the door. Medical Alert told me to test my device, so I test it every once in a while and it’s been working okay. They say, “Just a minute, we’re getting to you,” and then the man gets on the phone. Their response takes not more than five minutes. It could always be quicker. If you’re having a heart attack and they don’t answer right away, you would drop dead before they answer. But they usually seem to pick up fairly quickly.

I have the device that looks like a cell phone, which is on the outside of the house. It said I had to press the top of it if something happens, and it has a button on the top and it’s supposed to blink. And on the inside, I wear the bracelet. They also sent me one that goes around the neck and that is very sensitive. So, one time when I had it on, I went to lean over for a minute, and the thing started going off like crazy. I didn’t press anything and I got a little nervous. So, I just wear the bracelet one, which seems to be okay. It’s not as sensitive. I’m used to it now.

Hi Louise,

I'm glad you're ok.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I'm 87 years old and I live by myself, so I felt that I needed a medical alert device and I got one from Medical Alert. It's very comfortable. I'm very pleased with it and I will not get rid of it. But I wasn't good about wearing it till I fell. Fortunately, the day I fell I had it on so that convinced me that I need to wear it every day. The Medical Alert team was fabulous and I can't say enough good things about them. They were here in no time and that was great. But after they got me to the hospital, I stayed in a carrier for four hours so that wasn't great and I wasn't pleased with the hospital. But the people from Medical Alert that were with me were wonderful the whole time. I had an excellent experience with Medical Alert and I was very impressed with them.

Hi Virginia,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was thinking about getting a medical alert device for a long time, and then I fell and broke my hip. I got Medical Alert and my sense of security is better. I've hit the button accidentally once and they did respond, on the speaker thing. It's great to know what would happen. I'm just wondering if I should take that speaker thing with me when I leave the house by myself. Other than that, I wear the button around my neck and it's comfortable enough.

Hi Shirley,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The Medical Alert device is good to have. When you fall in middle night, early morning or whatever the time is, they get to you quick. Most of the time, they have to take me to the hospital because the sugar don't go up quick. They're always there for me and they would do what they have to do. Also it doesn't take them a long time to come. Their office is nearby to me. I wear the button around my neck when I'm in the house. I don't wear it if I'm going anywhere. I have a different button that they gave me to wear if I'm going on the road. I live alone and I'm really happy to have them. If I didn't have them, maybe I would have died already.

Hi Icilda,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When I was much younger, I had a lot of health problems. I'm 88 now and I've had Medical Alert for at least 20 years. I first got this neck one. I also have a bracelet one that I never wore. There wasn’t any reason to do it and they're very uncomfortable. They're almost 2.5 inches wide and very bulky. I've tried to replace this one, and evidently, they don't make that black cord that you can make short or it gets long to take off. The ones that they have now, you can't adjust them. But I'm happy with what I have now. I would definitely recommend them. I feel very, very, more confident in myself in knowing that I have something, or somebody that would come if I had a problem.

Hi Esther,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I’ve seen Medical Alert advertised in quite a few places and I thought it was a good recommendation seeing them advertised in drugstores than different places, but they never seemed to have them in stock. The reps were very good with the way they explained things to me when I was seeking it. They explained pretty well everything that I need to know about it. My husband has the wrist one on but I have the necklace as well. He likes the wrist one because it’s easier for him rather than the necklace. Any time we have had to use it, the response has been very good. My husband had fallen, so we needed an ambulance come help pick him up. The response time was within 20 minutes, which was very good considering where we are from Gravenhurst. I would recommend Medical Alert.

Hi Frances,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We’ve had quite a few calls by hitting the Medical Alert button accidentally, and their reps were very nice and understanding about it. The system works real good. They’ve been a real good company. I have had a problem about another company that called here, and they tried to tell me that my company was dropping the state of California because they were having’ a lot of problems with their system, and they got me to take them. I called my company and they said, “No way,” and that they had never said anything about dropping this state. They’ve been a real good company. If you need one take a Medical Alert.

HI Betty,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

A friend told me about Medical Alert. I have to be careful with it. I usually have it around my neck except when I wash or go to bed. One morning I didn’t take it off. I bumped it getting up and they answered right away. The response team was right there at my door. I would recommend Medical Alert highly. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so much for your review! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Some friends and the family kept insisting that I get a Medical Alert device because I live alone. It’s not comfortable. I have to tuck it in my bra and when I wear it at night sometimes it strangles around my neck with the cord. I don’t like that part but I feel I need it more at night than in the daytime because I’m totally alone and in bed. If something happens, then I could push the button.

Hi Terry,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please let me know if you would prefer the wristband version of Medical Alert instead of the necklace. That might be more comfortable for you.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My son got me the Medical Alert for Christmas. When I set it off accidentally, they called my daughter-in-law first to get the key out here, and my son came up to see what was the matter. I like the device and I wear it all the time, except when I'm out. I’m very satisfied with Medical Alert. It has been working for as long as I've had it.

HI Mary,

So glad you son made the choice to get a Medical Alert device.

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Be protected anytime, anywhere, even if you can’t push your button. Automatic fall detection and water-resistant technology allow wearers and their loved ones to have peace of mind in any situation.

• 24/7 response center: Support network available at all hours of the day to assist in medical emergencies.

• Stays on the line until help arrives: No matter where you live, a U.S.-based operator will stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

• Easy setup: Simply plug the base unit into a power outlet, then push the button to call for help.

• One monthly price: Basic monitoring equipment comes at no extra cost with no hidden fees, no activation charges and no long-term commitment required.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information