4.4/5 (1489 ratings)

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America offers medical alert devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Systems come with 24-hour monitoring and provide access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Medical Alert has multiple products, including a fall detection pendant and a caregiver app. The company is a member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA).

Pros

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS and fall detection technology
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • No long-term contract required

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
  • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several system options. Just know that costs increase as services are added. Month-to-month service is available, but you can get a discount by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, I’m enjoying my device. It’s nice to know that someone's there at all times with you. Even though I know that nobody is here, Medical Alert is still here… Somebody calls e...

Verified

Medical Alert has been great and I can be more independent now that I do have this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be living alone… Once in a while, the device goes off by accident. I just...

Medical Alert systems

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert is a professional emergency response monitoring company. Its systems come with a wearable lanyard or wristband that connects to a monitoring center. You can set up your monitoring system through a landline or cellular connection, depending on the device you choose.

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

Medical Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring centers are staffed by operators who are trained to quickly answer calls. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help.

Once connected, operators determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch and monitor the device wearer’s safety.

The app lets any caregiver check your system status and contact list. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how the wearer is doing, and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it automatically updates whenever the company's support team changes your information.

Medical Alert cost

Medical Alert systems start around $20 to $40 per month, and there are no upfront equipment costs. You can save money by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan. Annual plans also include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
Month-to-month cost*$22.95$32.95$42.95
Monthly cost with annual or semiannual plan*$19.95$29.95$39.95
Optional fall detection*$10 per month$10 per month$10 per month

*At the time of publishing

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert emergency response systems work?
Medical Alert systems connect you with a response coordinator at its monitoring center during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, they summon help by contacting a family member, caregiver or first responder for you, depending on the situation.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Original Medicare does not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices. On the other hand, Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may cover them.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert system?
You’ll need to sign a month-to-month monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term commitment is required. Paying on a longer-term basis can save you money, though.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert’s help buttons are waterproof, so you can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath. However, your base unit may not be waterproof.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
You can add a protection plan for $1 per month. The plan covers one replacement of your main system and up to two buttons if your original ones are lost or damaged during any 12-month period.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes, Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.

Is Medical Alert worth it?

Medical Alert can help you or a loved one stay safe with a wide range of products. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance, so older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. Plus, Medical Alert’s emergency buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting users comfortably wear them in the shower.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

When I use the button, I would wear it and the team would call me if I need to charge it or not, and I would let them know. When my button would go off, I would tell them that the device just went off by mistake. They said that I would just hold it down for about two or three minutes and then release it. I did that and it was okay then. Then, if I needed them, I would call them and they would ask me if I'm alright, what's going on, and if they need to send someone out. It wouldn't be that long that they would send someone to help me.

One time, I was using my machine for breathing and my stomach was bothering me. But my elevator wasn't working and I had to go down the steps. It was about five or six of them and they said they could put me in a chair and strap me in, one in the front, one in the back, and they could take me downstairs. As bad as I felt, I could not let them do that as I've had problems with going downstairs. I said no and that my son could help me. They said, "What can your son do that we can't? And there's so many of us and there's only one of him." One of the gentlemen checked me out and asked if I really need to go and I said no.

Another time I went to sit on the side of my daughter's bed. It was an air mattress and it went down and I ended up on the floor and I couldn't get up. They tried to help me up but they couldn't. They asked what to do to help me and so I called the boys. They came and two or three of them lifted me off the floor. Then when I moved in the other apartment, I was asleep and I woke up and I was on the floor with the covers. I called the paramedics to come and get me, and it took three of them, one on each side and one behind me, and then they picked me up.

I was in a bad shape at another time and my blood pressure was up to 225. They told me that they would take me to the hospital and they didn't tell that time how much my blood pressure was. The only reason I found it out was after I got in the emergency room and then the nurses told me what it was. There was another time they had to stay because the hospital was full, had no rooms, and I had to be in the hallway. They did not leave me until the nurses in the emergency room got a bed for me to be in and got the equipment for me to use.

They checked me out in November. They came up first and the ambulance came out right behind them. They asked if I could walk to get on the little car in other room and I said yes and they helped me. When I got on there, they strapped me down. I asked them for something that would cover me up and they gave one. Even if I'm going from my home to a doctor and my insurance provides a ride for them to call, so I call a couple of days early and make the ride.

I feel safe with Medical Alert being there because they know how to carry and take care of me. They have the equipment that they can check with whatever is wrong with me and they run it up. If they see that I need to go to a doctor or to a hospital, they're gonna tell that they can take me, but it's up to me. They're a company that we need with a group of men that can get us out of an accident and the like. I just have one device that I need to send back, but they didn't send me the envelope, they just sent me a seal to put on there.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I've had it for a couple of years now. I tried it and I liked it. But now their system will change. So, I had to take a smaller system from them. It was a bigger one before with the red, white and blue machine. And now, they have the little one that if you fall down, it will send an alert. It also tells them wherever you are.

The satellite thing. One time, I was picking it up and moving it from my little table. I put it on my lap, but I held it up too high and I dropped it a bit and it set it off that quick. In the time before that, I forgot what I did, and it went off again. But the first time it did it, it took four minutes for Medical Alert to answer. And it was, "Well, I'm not having a heart attack." Because the machine kept saying, "We're trying to meet your location." And I felt, "Well, the old system they had, they knew where I live."

I'm in a wheelchair so there is always somebody with me. I asked Medical Alert if I could switch it back and they said no. This is the system they have now. But the cost is the same and it has always been a good system. I just got it a month and a half ago. I was just wondering why it took so long. Because when it went off to me, the rep called in monthly to make sure they check it was working. And I did that and it was answered right away.

I've had a couple of times when an ambulance came over the years I've had it. Nobody was here with me and I needed help because I got really sick. They came out here, so that was good. I've used it and it works because the ambulance and the paramedics are usually within less than three miles of my house. They come fast.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I used my Medical Alert unintentionally once. I was in bed. I didn't know I rolled over and it set it off. And it was early in the morning. The next thing I heard was pounding on my door. And there were two police officers at my door who wanted to know if I was okay. I asked, “Why?" And he said, “Well, your medic alert went off, and you didn't answer. And they sent us.” I said, I was fine. So, at night, I put it on the nightstand beside me so I don't roll over on it anymore. I know it works. It makes me feel that not only that I'm in bed and I can't get out fast, if there would be a fire or somebody tried to break in, I can always press that. They would get that help for me. I appreciate it. I'm here most of the time by myself. And I just turned 84. So, it's a comfort to me to know that if I would fall or something and couldn't get up for it or something, what happened, there is something here that can help me.

There have been a couple of times that I bumped the device and it went off, and I would call and apologize. They would say, “Well, don't worry about it. Those things happen. That's why we're here. If it goes off and you didn't do it, it's just one of those accidents. It happens.” I'm satisfied with it. People have asked me what it is. Sometimes I'm out on the porch. Neighbors can pass and say, “What do you have wearing around your neck?” I would tell them. And they said, “Oh, that's how they do it.” So, even the necklace itself, when I have it on, people recognize it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I got along fine with Medical Alert and it has kept me alive. It’s great but I never used it. There was one time that instead of using it, I called my granddaughter and she lives in Hermiston, which is about 150 miles from me. Then, I called the other granddaughter, which is only six miles from me. I told them I was dying so they called their father and the next thing I knew, he was right here in the living room and so was my daughter-in-law. What a time I had. They called the ambulance and I died going to the hospital. I left a deal that if I'm not savable, they should not work on me. I didn't want to have a burden on them. I said that if they could save me and I'm gonna be all right, keep me alive. So, they did. I've lived now three months since that happened and I'm thankful. I should have used Medical Alert and I did not because I didn’t want to have the ambulance come.

Medical Alert costs quite a bit but it's worth it. I would recommend it to anybody because this one now checks me even a long ways from the house. I had to be in the house to have the one I had before work and I couldn't have reached anybody. I fell off of my back porch and I didn't use it because it didn't do me any good. I was too far away from it. But I had it for a long time and now, Medical Alert will get me anywhere I want to go. So, it's all right. People should push that button if they need help and they should not be afraid of it because that's what they need. When I had that terrible problem, I didn't push the button. I wanted to talk to them, which was why, but I knew what was happening.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

My son got Medical Alert for me. I've taken over the payments of it. But they were concerned about me living alone, so he applied for it. I hit it once just going by a table, and a voice came on the machine. It was just an accident that I hit it. I just hit the clear button and I got no calls on it. So, it didn't even go through, so it's fine. But the service has been fine. And any of the representatives I've talked to have been polite and helpful.

My understanding is that if I use it, if I call, that the ambulance service has to come. Two of my children live right in town. They would be here quickly. We live in a small town, volunteer EMTs, and fire people. There should be a step between calling for this and an ambulance showing up at your door. The children should be notified first and let them make the decision. And maybe that's a waste of time, but it's a waste of time to call a whole squad here when there's no emergency.

There's a light blinking on the device and it's low power. And the only problem I have with that when the power goes off is the people that Medical Alert is supposed to respond to might get a message from them 24 hours later that something's wrong with me. We know the power was off for five minutes a day ago. And when my children got the message, they didn't respond to it. I talked to someone who said, “Oh, yes. We will connect you. You need to have that machine replaced.” And they said, “Well, we don't replace. When it's only five years old, we don't replace them.” I got nowhere. So, I just don't pay much attention to it. But it just makes the children feel better for me to have it. So, I'm very grateful that I can still live alone and I'm able to be somewhat mobile.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I use my Medical Alert from time to time, but I don't have it on 24/7. But I feel more comfortable having this device.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I'm satisfied that I have my Medical Alert.

Original review: June 11, 2022

I was in the basement sorting some things and I fell and fractured my hip. I laid there 17 hours before my grandson found me. He called 911 and I've been recuperating ever since. Now, I'm wearing a Medical Alert device and I don't mind wearing it. Even though I haven't had to use it, I feel safe when I'm wearing it.

Original review: June 10, 2022

My washer and dryer is downstairs and I feel safer when I go down my steps with the Medical Alert on. I also have it hanging in the bathroom when I do the shower. I don't have a lot of money and I hate to pay that much but I feel that I need to have it. I used it for what I thought was emergency. I had a bad dizzy spell and dialed them because I was not even able to get up to go to the bathroom. They came out in no time and offered to take me to the hospital. Everybody's been very nice talking to me even when I have to test it. I test it once a month like I’m supposed to. Someone called me and tried to sell me the one where if I fall and might not be conscious, it would send the alarm. But when I read the instructions, it was not 100% so I sent that back.

Original review: June 9, 2022

My Medical Alert device is working. When I open something that’s really hard to open and I bring it toward my chest and get a better grip on it, I forget that I have that pendant down there under my shirt and I set it off unintentionally. I talked to them about that and say there’s no one here that needs help. I did take a fall a couple of weeks ago, and somebody came, and I got taken to the Emergency Room. It was good that I have the device. I didn’t want it, but it has proved itself. It’s been good to me.

Medical Alert Company Information