2. Medical Alert Systems

4.4/5 (1334 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America offers medical alert devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Systems come with 24-hour monitoring and provide access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Medical Alert has multiple products, including a fall detection pendant and a caregiver app. The company is a member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA).

Pros

• Multilingual operators
    • GPS and fall detection technology
    • 30-day money-back guarantee
    • No long-term contract required

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
    • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several system options. Just know that costs increase as services are added. Month-to-month service is available, but you can get a discount by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, I’m enjoying my device. It’s nice to know that someone's there at all times with you. Even though I know that nobody is here, Medical Alert is still here… Somebody calls e...

Verified

Medical Alert has been great and I can be more independent now that I do have this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be living alone… Once in a while, the device goes off by accident. I just...

Medical Alert systems

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert is a professional emergency response monitoring company. Its systems come with a wearable lanyard or wristband that connects to a monitoring center. You can set up your monitoring system through a landline or cellular connection, depending on the device you choose.

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

Medical Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring centers are staffed by operators who are trained to quickly answer calls. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help.

Once connected, operators determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch and monitor the device wearer’s safety.

The app lets any caregiver check your system status and contact list. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how the wearer is doing, and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it automatically updates whenever the company's support team changes your information.

Medical Alert cost

Medical Alert systems start around $20 to $40 per month, and there are no upfront equipment costs. You can save money by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan. Annual plans also include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
    Month-to-month cost*$22.95$32.95$42.95
    Monthly cost with annual or semiannual plan*$19.95$29.95$39.95
    Optional fall detection*$10 per month$10 per month$10 per month

*At the time of publishing

Medical Alert FAQ

Medical Alert systems connect you with a response coordinator at its monitoring center during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, they summon help by contacting a family member, caregiver or first responder for you, depending on the situation.
    Original Medicare does not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices. On the other hand, Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may cover them.
    You’ll need to sign a month-to-month monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term commitment is required. Paying on a longer-term basis can save you money, though.
    Medical Alert’s help buttons are waterproof, so you can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath. However, your base unit may not be waterproof.
    You can add a protection plan for $1 per month. The plan covers one replacement of your main system and up to two buttons if your original ones are lost or damaged during any 12-month period.
    Yes, Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.

Is Medical Alert worth it?

Medical Alert can help you or a loved one stay safe with a wide range of products. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance, so older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. Plus, Medical Alert’s emergency buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting users comfortably wear them in the shower.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

My son got Medical Alert for me. I've taken over the payments of it. But they were concerned about me living alone, so he applied for it. I hit it once just going by a table, and a voice came on the machine. It was just an accident that I hit it. I just hit the clear button and I got no calls on it. So, it didn't even go through, so it's fine. But the service has been fine. And any of the representatives I've talked to have been polite and helpful.

My understanding is that if I use it, if I call, that the ambulance service has to come. Two of my children live right in town. They would be here quickly. We live in a small town, volunteer EMTs, and fire people. There should be a step between calling for this and an ambulance showing up at your door. The children should be notified first and let them make the decision. And maybe that's a waste of time, but it's a waste of time to call a whole squad here when there's no emergency.

There's a light blinking on the device and it's low power. And the only problem I have with that when the power goes off is the people that Medical Alert is supposed to respond to might get a message from them 24 hours later that something's wrong with me. We know the power was off for five minutes a day ago. And when my children got the message, they didn't respond to it. I talked to someone who said, “Oh, yes. We will connect you. You need to have that machine replaced.” And they said, “Well, we don't replace. When it's only five years old, we don't replace them.” I got nowhere. So, I just don't pay much attention to it. But it just makes the children feel better for me to have it. So, I'm very grateful that I can still live alone and I'm able to be somewhat mobile.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2021

We got Medical Alert late March. My husband is very ill and I didn't feel good for a few days. I told my husband when we went to bed that night, “Oh, I hope I feel better in the morning.” I woke up about 4 o'clock in the morning and could not get out of bed. I've tried off and on for two hours to get out of bed. I could raise up a little, and that was it. My hands and feet worked, but I couldn't get out of bed. My husband woke up and I said, “You need to call 911.” It ended up that my blood pressure was really low, and I had pneumonia and some other infection. I spent a few days in the hospital, and that really scared me. If I had been here alone, I would have just laid there and died. We decided to get Medical Alert.

We test the device once a month. They have me to push the Help button and then talk to me once a month for the test. They respond really quickly. The longest it's been was like 20 seconds before the person came on. Having Medical Alert makes me feel more confident. We got the one we wear around our neck because I didn't want something for my wrist. I feel like at night, I'd have better luck with around my neck. I didn't wanna get one that’s a phone because unless I have it in bed with me and could get it real simple, that wouldn’t have helped me.

The one I wear around my neck is really lightweight. You don't even know you have it. That's good, too because I've seen a couple of them on TV that I thought, “It looks like they’re wearing their cellphone around their neck.” I don’t think I want that. Initially, they told me that the device would be coming in the mail in five to 10 business days, and we got it two days later. I was really impressed. I had called Life Alert, and they’re well over $100 a month. We’re paying about 37 to Medical Alert. Also, they always know my name, check my address and stuff with me when I called to check it. So, they know who we are.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

About early January, someone talked me into getting a new button that was supposed to be sensitive in case I fall down and can't reach my regular button. So, I agreed to it. But later, I had not received the button. So at that point, I called and a representative helped me. They told me that they were sorry about that, that they'd FedExed the button, but it never got to me. So they sent me another one.

When I first had this new button and I was wearing it at night, about four times within a couple of weeks, I got woke up during the night because the button had gone off, apparently. But I didn't hear it because I'm totally deaf. I have to wear hearing aids and I take them off at night. The reps at Medical Alert called me in the middle of the night and asked me if everything was all right. They responded really well, but I complained because I didn't know what I was going to do about this thing. If the medical alert system was going to make be calling all the time, it was not going to be good for me.

The woman that I talked to suggested that I just wear my old button at night and that was okay, but that kind of defeats the whole thing. Right now, I'm wearing both of them and I'm well covered. But I've been a little bit disappointed with that new button and I feel like it was not needed that bad. But otherwise, I can't complain about the company. I've been with them for so long. I'm 94 years old and I started with them when I was 80. My children talked me into it because I live alone and the few times that I've had a problem, they've been good and very quick about connecting the people that I needed for help, like the EMTs. And they stay on the line until they make sure that I'm cared for, so that has been great.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I’m 86 years old, I'm living alone, and my husband had just expired. I talked about getting Medical Alert before but I hadn't done it. Then, four days after that, I fell. I didn’t get hurt but I said to myself, “God, you get me up from here, I’m going to get Medical Alert.” And I did. So far, my time with Medical Alert has been good. One time, I called them because I was interested in getting the fall alert and I got put on hold. After 45 minutes, I had to go to the bathroom, so I said I’d call later. I’m just not used to staying on the telephone for 45 minutes. Then, they called an alarm because they couldn't get me and they felt something had happened to me. And here came all these medics out here, which was very nice, but I didn't need them.

I know that the system works though and it alerts my daughter as well as my grandson. My grandson’s in Bush, Louisiana, but he's in charge of everything. And my daughter works at a medical clinic and they'd call her. Then, they'd call them back, but sometimes, the Medical Alert team would be already on their way. And sometimes, 12 people would show up, which happened twice. But I thanked them for coming and I know I’m covered, so I’m okay.

At another time, they said the thing had gone off a couple times, but I didn't punch the button. I decided that the cords around it were too long. I’m short and I’m sure that if I got it close to the sink and that one was hanging down, I might turn it on. I didn’t want to do that, so I shortened the cords on each one of them and hadn’t had any more problems since. I could wear them around my neck and not worry. I just have to be careful because when you’re short and you’re getting up to the washing machine or around the kitchen, it can set the alarm off.

Other than that, my bill has gone up now. I had to pay $599 a year for both the fall thing and the Medical Alert. Then I got this thing about insurance and I don't need any more insurance on anything. However, they deducted $10 from my bank account and I wasn't too happy about that. But I hadn't been able to get ahold of anybody about that yet. Besides that, I have recommended Medical Alert to several friends because I felt like they needed it as well as I did.

Medical Alert response

Hi Bernice,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am sorry about your husband.

We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Stay safe,
      Alex
      Customer Reviews Manager

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

At the time that I got my Medical Alert device, I was seeing a nurse practitioner. Since I lived alone, she thought I needed it and the children didn't object to me having it. I don't feel it's necessary but the children seem to think it is. My daughter-in-law kinda thinks I should have the one that automatically goes off if I fall but I haven't added it. Most of the time, I'm satisfied with it. I put it on every morning and take it off when I go to sleep. I know it's there and if I go out, I feel very confident. Comparing it to others, there's some difference that I like in one of them. But overall, it wasn't enough for me to feel like it was worth trying to change. But I can cancel this anytime I like and return the equipment to Medical Alert since I don't own it.

However, I set the device off too much. It's sensitive and sometimes it's very frustrating when it goes off. I've hit the bathtub when I'm scrubbing it so I either take it off or be very careful when I do that. One day, I was in the kitchen trying to make a pie and I don't know how I hit it. I was rolling dough. I had a phone call and they couldn't reach me. They reached my daughter. Before she could get back with them that I was fine, I had the EMTs here. They were very nice. One time, they couldn't find me. They called my daughter who happened to be in Florida. She told them I was supposed to be at a play with my granddaughter and that was where I was. I never did know that I had set it off 'til they told me and I still don't know how I set it off.

One thing I do dislike about this is you can't talk to somebody unless you're near your transmitter or have your transmitter with you. One company makes one that has the button you can push and also talk, but it's larger than what the round button is that you have to wear. Another thing is I don't like the black cord. I wish it was a lighter color. Also, one rep will say one thing and somebody else will tell me something else. You don't know who's right and who's wrong.

Medical Alert response

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please feel free to call customer service to ask about options, as we are always upgrading and introducing new accessory options.

Stay safe,
      Alex
      Customer Reviews Manager

Medical Alert by Connect America

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I'm always afraid that I'm going to hit my Medical Alert button accidentally. I've done that a couple times putting it on or taking it off and laying it down. One time, I laid it down too hard. I took it off and just kind of tossed it onto the bed. It set off the alert. The response team is great. They're very understanding. The only thing is I fell out in my front yard and it didn't trigger the alarm. How is it that when I kind of tossed it onto the bed, it went off but when I fell in the front yard, it didn't go off.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

The Medical Alert device is good. It's there when I need it. It's a good thing to have.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I'm 84 years old and I live by myself. I'm also on some medication and it makes me dizzy a lot of times. My kids decided I needed a Medical Alert in case I fell and hurt myself. The device would give me a chance to get some help. The device doesn't bother me. In fact, I don't pay attention to it anymore. The only thing is I would be working or doing something and I would accidentally mash it. Other than that, I recommended Medical Alert to my sister and she got one. She lives by herself as well. Mine is good around the home while the one she got is for anywhere.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

The Medical Alert representatives are very professional and helpful. They've been really good with me. Sometimes, my device is slow. Other times, it's not too bad. But it is not uncomfortable at all. I wear it in the outside and it hangs low. It is set up pretty simple. I'm wearing a wristband, which is more comfortable than anything else. When I am away from my main base, I do put the neck piece on. The comfort and everything else has been pretty darn good. There has been a couple of times when I thought that I got immense help with it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Before, I can push the button and the operator comes on. Medical Alert upgraded the machine and now, they're saying I got to dial a number in order to get through to them. If I'm falling down on the floor, I ain’t got no time to be trying to dial a number. If I can dial a number, then I don't need them. I’d just call 911, and I can keep my money I'm sending to Medical Alert every year. I lost the bracelets and now I have the little computer machine. They told me I can carry it around with me and no matter where I am, I can still get through to them. At this point, I'm satisfied with it because I haven't had problems with it.

Medical Alert Company Information