Call toll free
4.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As the nation’s largest independent provider of medical alert systems, Medical Alert is trusted by hundreds of thousands of families, hospitals and healthcare organizations throughout the country–and with good reason.

Medical Alert provides comprehensive at-home and on-the-go medical alert systems to keep you safe and independent while living in your own home and community. Their lightweight, waterproof medical alert systems provide 24/7 monitoring and access to emergency response at the push of a button. Equipment comes at no charge with no activation fees or long-term contracts. Each system is available with Automatic Fall Detection, which senses a fall and connects you to an operator even if you can’t push your button.

Enjoy the independence you love and the security you need knowing that help is always just a button push away. Medical Alert delivers ultimate peace of mind at the best value with extremely affordable prices, unmatched customer service, a clean and transparent shopping experience, and immediate emergency response anytime, anywhere.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Alert has a range of alert devices and a helpful caregiver app. Costs increase as services are added, but annual payment plans include perks like free shipping and a lockbox discounted service.

PROS

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS technology and fall detection
  • Wide selection of medical alert systems

CONS

• Additional cost for extra services

Top Medical Alert Reviews

I wear my Medical Alert all the time and I don't have any problem. I was 82 when I got it. I’m 86 now, and I live alone... I call in and check it every month and their staff has been very cooperative. They are knowledgeable and very kind. I would recommend it highly. I do all the time.

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called… It was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and making sure I was okay during that period of 5 or 10 minutes before the paramedics came. I felt very safe.

What is Medical Alert?

Older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance; plus, Medical Alert buttons are lightweight and waterproof, allowing you to wear it comfortably in the shower.

By wearing the Medical Alert pendant or wristband, you can summon help during any crisis or medical emergency. Fall detection technology triggers an automatic connection with an emergency operator even if you’re unable to push the Medical Alert button.

Medical Alert systems

Medical Alert products and services are available for in-home and on-the-go use. GPS technology enables operators to know precisely where you’re calling. With a landline, set up is as simple as plugging in the Medical Alert device into the phone cord, while cellular options are also available.

At Home Landline Medical Alert system
The At Home Landline Medical Alert system includes a stationary base which plugs into a wall and attaches to a landline phone cord. A waterproof button can be worn and pressed for immediate help and two-way communication. Operators will answer the call and send the necessary support.
  • Monthly prices start at $22.95 with a discount if you pay annually or semi-annually. The annual price includes free shipping, an extra neck button and a complimentary lockbox.
At Home Wireless Medical Alert system
The At Home Wireless Medical Alert system does not require a landline and provides wireless communication from the home to emergency operators who can dispatch help. The base unit can be used anywhere in the house and has an emergency button. There’s also a help button you can wear around your neck or on your wrist.
  • Monthly prices begin at $32.95, and you’ll receive a discount and extra features if you pay semi-annually or annually. With an annual payment, free shipping is included, as well as a lockbox and an extra button.
Mobile Medical Alert system
The Mobile Medical Alert system allows you to wear your emergency button on your neck or an alert band, and you can switch back and forth according to what you’re doing and what feels most comfortable. GPS technology enables emergency operators to know exactly where you are when you press your button.
  • New customers and annual payment plan customers will receive automatic fall detection as well. Payment plans are $37.95 per month, $34.95 semi-annually and $32.04 annually. A carrying case is included.

Compare Medical Alert systems

All Medical Alert At Home systems come with the option to add automatic fall detection for an additional $10 per month. With the Mobile Medical Alert system, fall detection is included with an annual payment plan.

At Home LandlineAt Home WirelessMobile
At Home Landline$22.95$18.95
At Home Wireless$32.95$27.45
Mobile$37.95$32.04

About Medical Alert monitoring center

The Medical Alert monitoring center is staffed by highly trained, multilingual operators who answer calls quickly to determine the best course of action, whether its dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact. Translation services are available in 140 languages, ensuring callers are understood when they need help. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. They will continue talking to you until help arrives, and can instantly contact a family member or caregiver. Regardless of the situation, you’ll speak to someone kind, caring and responsive.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the innovative 365Access Caregiver App, it’s easy for family members, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch with you and monitor your health and safety. Instead of waiting for you to call with an emergency, the Medical Alert app gives your caregivers the ability to know where you are and what your status is at all times.

By downloading this app right to their phones, your family members and caregivers can monitor your location and communicate with you. They can also set up notifications and set preferences for specific information to be shared. Caregivers can be proactive in learning where you are and how you’re doing and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Additional Medical Alert equipment

Medical Alert offers additional equipment to complement either home or mobile emergency response systems.

Mobile Elite

Mobile Elite costs $37.95 per month, but discounts are available with annual and semi-annual payment plans.

The MobileElite Mobile Medical Alert system is perfect for people who are often running errands or doing things outside the house. It’s an emergency button that travels with you, and it can be worn on your wrist or around your neck. The Medical Alert wristband looks like a watch — it’s a lightweight and waterproof help button worn around your wrist that can also convert into a neck pendant.

Mobile365

Mobile365 costs $10 per month in addition to your plan.

Mobile365 is the automatic fall detection technology that triggers a call to the operator if the system notices you have fallen, even if you’re unable to push the help button. You can speak directly into the device, and it’s waterproof with a 24-hour battery life. The Medical Alert Mobile365 is an excellent idea for people who travel outside of the home frequently.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 21, 2019

I have a history of falls and I learned about the medical device on television. I got Medical Alert and I've had it now for 3 years. My experience with the company has been tremendous and there has been no problems at all. They are very cooperative and willing to meet my needs. I have fallen and their response time was excellent. The representatives have been very good whenever I dealt with them. I wear the device around my neck and it's fine. I don't even know it's there. It was a problem in the beginning with me because I would drop it, and I didn't realize that when I dropped it, I would set the system off. Now, I'm really careful how I handle it when I take it off my neck. I usually lay it flat on the kitchen table instead of hanging it over a chair. I don't drop it anymore too.

I feel very secure and safe with Medical Alert. I wear the pendant when I'm in the apartment and also outside. When I go out, I take the mobile unit with me. Before, I took the pendant nonchalantly. So one time, I went outside to smoke a cigarette and I wasn't wearing the device then I fell. Had I had the Medical Alert around my neck like I should've, I could've pushed the button and help would've come. Then I would've gone right to the emergency room. Instead, I got myself into the apartment and I waited a couple of days 'cause I wasn't quite sure what I had done. When I went to the emergency room, my wrist was broken. I thought it was just sprained. I broke my wrist and it required surgery and the insertion of a metal plate. That taught me a huge valuable lesson to wear the pendant around my neck at all times and I take that more seriously now.

Hi Jody,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager

Connect America Medical Alert

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had three friends who lived by themselves. One had a stroke and they didn’t find her for three days. One fell in her kitchen and nobody found her until the next morning. The other one fell in her garden and wasn’t found until the next morning. I thought I would need something so that I can notify if anything happens to me. In fact, I believe every woman or man who lives by himself should have something.

I've had Medical Alert for four years and I don’t worry now. When it's gotten pushed, it's always been an accident and when that happens, they call me. One time I was not at home and I didn’t know I had pushed it. I had pushed the thing around my neck and the white thing was up at my hotel room. I didn’t take it with me because I was with my children and figured I didn’t need it. They called and of course, they couldn't get ahold of me. They tried to get ahold of my son and when they couldn't get ahold of him, they called the gatehouse of the community I live in. She knew where I was and that I was all right so she called my daughter and then my daughter called Medical Alert. I used to accidentally touch the button a lot because I kept it in my pocket when I walked. But I'm not walking as much anymore so I've not had any accidental pushing.

Hi Dianne,

We agree that Medical Alert gives peace of mind and keeps you protected in the event of an emergency.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was falling a lot so I got the Medical Alert device. I used it for an emergency, and the team asked me if I was okay and if I was not physically hurt. I would fall and couldn't get up, and they would come to pick me up. They sent the ambulance and they had to bring me to hospital once. There was another time where they came and picked me up and then brought me to my chair where I sleep in, and they left.

My device is okay and I'm fine with the band. But I can’t stand it on the neck. I wear it on my wrist, and it’s okay. I can bathe. I have a walk-in bathtub, and physically, I can take care of myself with washing. But sometimes, when I go to the bathroom and I have to pull up my panties, I lose my balance and I fall back on the toilet seat. I broke my toilet seat and the hinges. I fell back on it. Just this week, I had to hold the button again to make it comforting for myself. And so, it’s okay to have this button to push in case I can’t get up, and I can call them. And sometimes I can go to the box quickly enough to tell them that I’m okay.

The thing is I have a box in my kitchen, and it goes off too often. I haven't been falling and I’ve been doing good. I can’t walk too good and I can’t talk too good anymore. But I did not push the button, and yet that goes off, and then I have to rush to my kitchen to put the button down, and then I do not call them. And sometimes I would be on one end of the house, and that goes off. I had to rush quickly to the box because it’s so far away from me. I would not want someone to come unnecessarily. Medical Alert is good to have because I know I have a way out, and it’s comforting. Whoever wants to have Medical Alert, I would recommend it but only if they would give them decent choices.

Hi Kathe,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My husband was falling a lot. Most of the time, I was here and I could get help to get him up. However, sometimes, he would be out in the garden and I wouldn’t be here, so we thought it would be a good idea to get the Medical Alert for him. He didn’t like the bracelet because it would slide around to the underside of his arm and then, when he would go to get up such as in a recliner, he would cause the alert to go off. So, he decided that he was not gonna wear it anymore. So, part of the time, he wore it and part of the time, I wore the necklace which we also got, so I could call for help to help him. That was the original plan and then, when he got bad enough, we had to put him in the nursing home.

Not too long after that, my son-in-law’s mother fell in the bathtub. She laid there from 1 o’clock to 5 o’clock. She called for her husband but he didn’t hear. I thought that I’m here by myself now and I need to wear it. After that happened, I called Medical Alert because I was thinking that I needed to have the fall thing. I got on the deal that if I fall, then somebody will know about it. Sometimes, I would accidentally activate it if I press a jar or something to my chest to open it. All of a sudden, it starts saying, “Emergency! Emergency!” So, I come in here, turn it off and hit clear. We’ve never had them actually contact people to come and help us. We’ve always been able to do it ourselves but it’s good insurance to know that we would have help if we needed it. I didn’t feel I needed it when there were two of us here at home but after he was gone, I thought, “Gosh, it could happen to me.”

Hi Leola,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I’ve had a couple of mishaps here and there, and on one of them, I wound up on the floor in my apartment. For five hours, I couldn't get up. Luckily, my neighbor finally came home. And after that, I was like, “I better get something.” I got a device from Medical Alert. It came with the lock for the door, and I gave each of my neighbors and my daughter a set of keys. So, they have the information that they need in case they have to get in to help me. I gave them the code, so they won’t have to break down the door. Medical Alert told me to test my device, so I test it every once in a while and it’s been working okay. They say, “Just a minute, we’re getting to you,” and then the man gets on the phone. Their response takes not more than five minutes. It could always be quicker. If you’re having a heart attack and they don’t answer right away, you would drop dead before they answer. But they usually seem to pick up fairly quickly.

I have the device that looks like a cell phone, which is on the outside of the house. It said I had to press the top of it if something happens, and it has a button on the top and it’s supposed to blink. And on the inside, I wear the bracelet. They also sent me one that goes around the neck and that is very sensitive. So, one time when I had it on, I went to lean over for a minute, and the thing started going off like crazy. I didn’t press anything and I got a little nervous. So, I just wear the bracelet one, which seems to be okay. It’s not as sensitive. I’m used to it now.

Hi Louise,

I'm glad you're ok.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I’ve had Medical Alert for about 12 years and so far, I haven’t had any problems with them. Their reps have all been nice. When I fell in the bathroom, I called them and they answered right away. Medical Alert is about $20 more expensive than others. And several times, I had thought of changing, but I hadn't because I’ve had good service from them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

My husband wasn’t well and I got the Medical Alert for him. But now, I really could use it because I’m very shaky, not doing well, and not balancing so good. So, I’m glad I have it. In case something happens, I will have someone to call. At the beginning, I didn't wear the device. But when I fell, I started wearing it more. It’s very annoying, but I wear it anyway. I feel more secure with it than when I didn’t have it. Recently, they sent me a new device and it kept on activating on its own. If I would press on it lightly, it would start the screaming. But they fixed it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Eight days ago, I needed an ambulance and no one ever responded. I couldn't get an ambulance. I did it three different times and all three times, I had to call the fire department. Medical Alert team told me I wasn’t in satellite. But everything’s fine now. I’m in the hospital. I've had it for three months before that happened. They did regular testing on it but I don't know what they did and I don't care because I figured they don't care enough about me. I just won’t deal with it. And so, I told them to cancel it. I’m no longer willing to have it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I got a Medical Alert based on word of mouth from friends. I just wear it at home and so far, the only trouble I have with it is it goes off every once in a while. It doesn't do that when it's hanging on the hook near my bed, but it does it when I'm wearing it. It's been doing it more than it did the first few years I had it. The Medical Alert team is very nice. They would come on and say, "How can we help you?" Then, I'd tell them, "It's a mistake."

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I’m handicapped. I got the Medical Alert device and it's convenient.

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert systems work?
Medical Alert systems work by directly connecting you with an emergency operator during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, help is summoned and a family member or caregiver is contacted for you.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Medicare plans do not typically cover Medical Alert or any similar emergency systems.
What is Medical Alert’s average response time?
Medical Alert calls are answered in less than a minute by qualified, highly trained operators who will speak to you in your native language.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert medical alert system?
You’ll need to sign a Monitoring Agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term service contracts are required.
What is Medical Alert’s return policy?
You can cancel your service and return your equipment at any time without charge by contacting Medical Alert customer service.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Alert monitoring service?
You won’t have to pay extra for your spouse to add a second device. And with annual payment plans, an extra wearable pendant or wristband is provided.
Where are Medical Alert monitoring centers located?
All Medical Alert monitoring stations are located in the United States. The operators are trained, qualified and able to communicate in several languages.
Do Medical Alert emergency response services require a landline?
No. If you have a landline, you can set up your monitoring device through that landline; however, wireless technology is also available.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Medical Alert equipment is guaranteed to work and if it doesn’t, you can return it for a replacement through Medical Alert customer service.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes. Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert medical systems are waterproof. You can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath.
How much does Medical Alert cost per month?
Low-cost Medical Alert systems start at $19.99. Customers get discounts, free shipping and additional equipment when they choose the semi-annual or annual payment plans.

Do we recommend Medical Alert?

Yes. Medical Alert services keep people safe inside and outside of their homes by summoning help and notifying caregivers. The Medical Alert help button removes the cumbersome step of having to find a phone and dial for help. The system is easy to set up and operate. There are several payment plan options, a helpful caregiver app and a well-trained staff of emergency operators who can speak several languages. While costs can multiply as services are added, the annual payment plan offers perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Medical Alert Company Information