Call toll free
4.49/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As the nation’s largest independent provider of medical alert systems, Medical Alert is trusted by hundreds of thousands of families, hospitals and healthcare organizations throughout the country–and with good reason.

Medical Alert provides comprehensive at-home and on-the-go medical alert systems to keep you safe and independent while living in your own home and community. Their lightweight, waterproof medical alert systems provide 24/7 monitoring and access to emergency response at the push of a button. Equipment comes at no charge with no activation fees or long-term contracts. Each system is available with Automatic Fall Detection, which senses a fall and connects you to an operator even if you can’t push your button.

Enjoy the independence you love and the security you need knowing that help is always just a button push away. Medical Alert delivers ultimate peace of mind at the best value with extremely affordable prices, unmatched customer service, a clean and transparent shopping experience, and immediate emergency response anytime, anywhere.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Alert has a range of alert devices and a helpful caregiver app. Costs increase as services are added, but annual payment plans include perks like free shipping and a lockbox discounted service.

PROS

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS technology and fall detection
  • Wide selection of medical alert systems

CONS

• Additional cost for extra services

Top Medical Alert Reviews

05/15/2019

I wear my Medical Alert all the time and I don't have any problem. I was 82 when I got it. I’m 86 now, and I live alone... I call in and check it every month and their staff has been very cooperative. They are knowledgeable and very kind. I would recommend it highly. I do all the time.

06/25/2019

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called… It was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and making sure I was okay during that period of 5 or 10 minutes before the paramedics came. I felt very safe.

What is Medical Alert?

Older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance; plus, Medical Alert buttons are lightweight and waterproof, allowing you to wear it comfortably in the shower.

By wearing the Medical Alert pendant or wristband, you can summon help during any crisis or medical emergency. Fall detection technology triggers an automatic connection with an emergency operator even if you’re unable to push the Medical Alert button.

Medical Alert systems

Medical Alert products and services are available for in-home and on-the-go use. GPS technology enables operators to know precisely where you’re calling. With a landline, set up is as simple as plugging in the Medical Alert device into the phone cord, while cellular options are also available.

At Home Landline Medical Alert system
The At Home Landline Medical Alert system includes a stationary base which plugs into a wall and attaches to a landline phone cord. A waterproof button can be worn and pressed for immediate help and two-way communication. Operators will answer the call and send the necessary support.
  • Monthly prices start at $22.95 with a discount if you pay annually or semi-annually. The annual price includes free shipping, an extra neck button and a complimentary lockbox.
At Home Wireless Medical Alert system
The At Home Wireless Medical Alert system does not require a landline and provides wireless communication from the home to emergency operators who can dispatch help. The base unit can be used anywhere in the house and has an emergency button. There’s also a help button you can wear around your neck or on your wrist.
  • Monthly prices begin at $32.95, and you’ll receive a discount and extra features if you pay semi-annually or annually. With an annual payment, free shipping is included, as well as a lockbox and an extra button.
Mobile Medical Alert system
The Mobile Medical Alert system allows you to wear your emergency button on your neck or an alert band, and you can switch back and forth according to what you’re doing and what feels most comfortable. GPS technology enables emergency operators to know exactly where you are when you press your button.
  • New customers and annual payment plan customers will receive automatic fall detection as well. Payment plans are $37.95 per month, $34.95 semi-annually and $32.04 annually. A carrying case is included.

Compare Medical Alert systems

All Medical Alert At Home systems come with the option to add automatic fall detection for an additional $10 per month. With the Mobile Medical Alert system, fall detection is included with an annual payment plan.

At Home LandlineAt Home WirelessMobile
At Home Landline$22.95$18.95
At Home Wireless$32.95$27.45
Mobile$37.95$32.04

About Medical Alert monitoring center

The Medical Alert monitoring center is staffed by highly trained, multilingual operators who answer calls quickly to determine the best course of action, whether its dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact. Translation services are available in 140 languages, ensuring callers are understood when they need help. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. They will continue talking to you until help arrives, and can instantly contact a family member or caregiver. Regardless of the situation, you’ll speak to someone kind, caring and responsive.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the innovative 365Access Caregiver App, it’s easy for family members, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch with you and monitor your health and safety. Instead of waiting for you to call with an emergency, the Medical Alert app gives your caregivers the ability to know where you are and what your status is at all times.

By downloading this app right to their phones, your family members and caregivers can monitor your location and communicate with you. They can also set up notifications and set preferences for specific information to be shared. Caregivers can be proactive in learning where you are and how you’re doing and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Additional Medical Alert equipment

Medical Alert offers additional equipment to complement either home or mobile emergency response systems.

Mobile Elite

Mobile Elite costs $37.95 per month, but discounts are available with annual and semi-annual payment plans.

The MobileElite Mobile Medical Alert system is perfect for people who are often running errands or doing things outside the house. It’s an emergency button that travels with you, and it can be worn on your wrist or around your neck. The Medical Alert wristband looks like a watch — it’s a lightweight and waterproof help button worn around your wrist that can also convert into a neck pendant.

Mobile365

Mobile365 costs $10 per month in addition to your plan.

Mobile365 is the automatic fall detection technology that triggers a call to the operator if the system notices you have fallen, even if you’re unable to push the help button. You can speak directly into the device, and it’s waterproof with a 24-hour battery life. The Medical Alert Mobile365 is an excellent idea for people who travel outside of the home frequently.

841 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was falling a lot so I got the Medical Alert device. I used it for an emergency, and the team asked me if I was okay and if I was not physically hurt. I would fall and couldn't get up, and they would come to pick me up. They sent the ambulance and they had to bring me to hospital once. There was another time where they came and picked me up and then brought me to my chair where I sleep in, and they left.

My device is okay and I'm fine with the band. But I can’t stand it on the neck. I wear it on my wrist, and it’s okay. I can bathe. I have a walk-in bathtub, and physically, I can take care of myself with washing. But sometimes, when I go to the bathroom and I have to pull up my panties, I lose my balance and I fall back on the toilet seat. I broke my toilet seat and the hinges. I fell back on it. Just this week, I had to hold the button again to make it comforting for myself. And so, it’s okay to have this button to push in case I can’t get up, and I can call them. And sometimes I can go to the box quickly enough to tell them that I’m okay.

The thing is I have a box in my kitchen, and it goes off too often. I haven't been falling and I’ve been doing good. I can’t walk too good and I can’t talk too good anymore. But I did not push the button, and yet that goes off, and then I have to rush to my kitchen to put the button down, and then I do not call them. And sometimes I would be on one end of the house, and that goes off. I had to rush quickly to the box because it’s so far away from me. I would not want someone to come unnecessarily. Medical Alert is good to have because I know I have a way out, and it’s comforting. Whoever wants to have Medical Alert, I would recommend it but only if they would give them decent choices.

Hi Kathe,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’m an old senior lady living by myself. I don’t have any family here around in this county. I’ve got to the point where I drive a little. I can drive to the store, go over to our senior center and drive over to church. I felt that I needed Medical Alert. Wearing my bracelet is fine and it doesn't bother me at all. I’d rather wear it than the pendant. It seems like it’s always dangling around and I’m not comfortable with it. I have used my Medical Alert three times. The first time I fell was in the house. I wear the bracelet all the time but I didn’t have it on that late evening. I had to scoot on the floor. I got through the house into my bedroom where my medical alert device was and I pushed the button.

I fell again in the house. I wasn't hurt during the times I fell. But when I fall, I can’t get up and that’s why I scooted on the floor. I wanted to scoot where I could get to something heavy like a big chair. I thought I could pull up but now I couldn’t. The last time that I fell, the man that I had on my emergency contact was gone, so an ambulance was sent out. I was sitting on the floor and the people who came got me up. I was in my bedroom and they sat me on the bed. I felt okay. I wasn't hurt but I have been wearing the bracelet ever since.

Medical Alert's response was fast and I didn’t think about them sending an ambulance. My neighbor who lives just across from me came over to see what was going on and if I was hurt. He noticed that my emergency contact who was supposed to come wasn’t there. He told me that since he lives close, I should put him down as an emergency contact person which I did. I got my pastor down too. He lives close enough that it wouldn’t take him any time to get here.

I feel safer with my Medical Alert. I live in a really safe place, but if I fall, then I have the device to push. However, the part that says trouble on that box in the middle which I call the little yellow light, blinks. I called Medical Alert and they said the battery was dead on my drop pendant. They sent me one but it was the same thing. The little yellow light kept blinking. I called again and the man who answered was nice about it. But he told me that the battery on the device was doing the same thing. He said it was silly how they send things. I said, “Yes, you sent me a bad one, didn’t you?” We got a laugh out of it. I sent the first device back that they sent me because it was still blinking on my box.

Other than that, the Medical Alert is good. If I’m talking to an older person, I'd tell him to get it even if he might have someone with him. If he should fall and get hurt pretty bad, whoever’s with him may not be able to do much to help him. I just hope Medical Alert doesn’t keep going up in price because I just have that one income and I pay for everything here. When you’re on a fixed income, it’s pretty rough sometimes when you’re paying all the bills.

Hi Faye,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am sorry you fell but glad you are ok.

We are here to keep you protected 24/7. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I was essentially alone even when my husband was alive because he was ill. I wanted a medical alert device for him and I also had one. When my husband died, I sent his back but I kept mine because I need it too because of my age. It’s a securing back up for me because I have had a number of falls. I wear it around my neck all the time except when I have someone in the home. I have caregivers and I have my family here sometimes. So I wouldn't need it then. I would put it aside then as soon as they’d leave, I would put it back on. I have a better feeling when I have that. It’s like having somebody in the house with me.

I had to use the button once for my husband and it was very quick. He had fallen in the shower and I told the Medical Alert people that I needed some help but I didn't wanna leave him to call anybody. So they did it. They called somebody and had the numbers. They sent out an emergency situation for him and they were out here in about 20 minutes because they’re nearby. Aside from that, it had also gone off when I’ve dropped it. But I called them and cancelled it since it was not an accident.

Somebody from Medical Alert called me once though. I have a bracelet and one pendant, but she was trying to sell me another pendant. It was probably because they’re paid from how much they sell. That was the impression I got. She was pressing me just to buy it and saying that I definitely had to have it because it was the latest thing. She gave me the impression that it was much faster acting. I didn't really know I needed that but I got it. Then I realized it wasn't anything different. It was just like my other one. I actually explained it to them when I took it back. I told them that I was a little bit pressed into this situation and that it wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. Other than that once instance, they've always been very accommodating.

The only problem with the device is you can't have it for a distance. When I get better, I will take walks and I won’t be able to have that security of being able to press it when I’m away from the house, other than in my yard. That’s the only difference that I feel. But by that time, I’m gonna be strong enough anyway to be able to take care of myself because I carry a cellphone with me. Nonetheless, it’s a vey good service and I’d definitely recommend it.

Hi Peggy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Just as an FYI - we do have a device with GPS for active seniors who spend more time out and about and would like coverage. This one would allow you to go beyond just your own backyard - in fact, you will be protected no matter where you go.

Be sure to contact us if that is something you feel would be a better fit for your lifestyle. In the meantime, thanks for being a valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live alone so I got a Medical Alert. I like knowing that I have a button if I need it and my kids are happy that I have it. I've been with Medical Alert for a few years now. Their customer service reps are good. They answer my questions. I feel secure having a Medical Alert. I just don't like this new one that they sent me. It's one of those where if you fall, it automatically sends in the signal. In case you knocked yourself out, they get there and that's fine. But this new one is so sensitive. If I don't put it on very gently, it sets my base off. When it goes off, the base unit yells emergency five times. If I'm in the house, I hear it and I'd go to it and reset it. But if I'm outside, I can't hear that and I don't want anybody to show up if I don't need them. I don't mind paying for the service but I don't like this new one.

The first time I got it, I called to cancel but they talked me back into it. I still have it but I don't wear it. I have another button, the original button that came with the unit. It's not that sensitive. I have to actually push it. In fact, that's what I use and I have it on right now. If I take it off, I put it on the table next to me wherever I'm sitting. But most of the time, I wear it around my neck, but not when I'm sleeping because I set it off somehow. So, I take it off at night and put it on my night table. I also don't like wearing it in the shower because once you wet it, the rope around the neck stays wet and I don't like it. I'd recommend Medical Alert to a friend. Anybody who lives alone should have one. It's nice to know that if I press that button, the police will come or when they yell emergency, I could tell them any help that I needed. If I needed a cop, they'll call a cop or if I want them to just send my son, they will send my son.

Hi Marie,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I’m 81 years old and I had a problem with my knee for a while. I had knee replacement 20 years ago but nobody wants to replace them again right now so I had a really bad problem with my knee giving away. Then my husband was really ill and I had stress so I had a lot of falls during that period of time. That was why I decided to get Medical Alert. In two years, I had fallen 20 times and four of them required hospitalization. So I really appreciated having Medical Alert. It makes we feel more secure because I know if anything happens, I can press the button and get help. I also live alone and I’m still immobile. I walk with a walker but things happen sometimes.

When my alarm goes off, the Medical Alert people are good about coming on right away and checking on me. They ask about what’s going on, if I've had a fall and if I need help or an ambulance. If there's anything going on and I say yes or if I don't answer, they would notify my family or call an ambulance. My family lives next door. Medical Alert also has a cell phone so they can even call my family on the job. If they can’t get my family, I have a friend that they can call and she can get in touch with whoever she needs to get in touch with.

When the battery ran out on my old one, they sent me a new box and the neckpiece was really sensitive. It was a fall button and I accidentally hit it about 10 times within the first two weeks. It was about to drive me nuts. It’s on a string and pinned on a necklace, and one time, I leaned over and it bumped on the counter. That set it off. Another time, I was sitting in my lift chair and I bumped it. They came on but the box was across the room. By the time I got out of my chairlift and across the room, they had already answered. So it’s very quick. It's probably no more than a minute or two before they’ll come on. Most of the time, it’s been a false alarm and I've always told them that it was an accident and that I had bumped it on something.

But I’ve gotten used to the button now and I’m a little more cautious so I haven’t set it off for a while. My knee is stronger now too, and I haven’t had any falls for two and a half years. But I’ve had Medical Alert for about five years and it has always worked really good for me. I've also recommended it to quite a few of my friends. I told them that it worked and they know it's true because they know all the problems I’ve had.

Hi Barbara,

I am glad to know Medical Alert has been there for you and that you haven't had a fall in 2.5 years. Wonderful!

Thanks so much for your review of our services! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: July 3, 2019

I've had a really good experience with Medical Alert. When I fell and called Medical them, they sent somebody out. I feel much safer 'cause I have their device.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: June 29, 2019

In the beginning of the year, I didn’t have an alert system. My daughter was with me but she went down to this other place for a couple of months. I put a plastic on my contour chair to sit down and it threw me down between the foot part and the seat part, and I couldn’t get out. Two days before that, I fell against my desk and hit my shoulder. So, when this happened, I couldn't pick myself up when I finally wiggled out of the chair. I was on the floor from 10 o’clock Friday night until 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon because I couldn’t lift myself up. When my daughter came over, she pulled me up and we went to the hospital where I stayed for a couple of days. I had to get a system and I didn’t have that before. Now, I couldn’t live alone for a month which forced me to get Medical Alert.

I tripped and I fell down in the laundry room. I cracked the frame that goes around the Medical Alert wristband. Then, I had another one that it fell out of the wristband. We ordered one and we called them because they were supposed to send it. It has been a while since they took the order and we haven’t heard from them yet. I also had an experience that I didn’t realize I had the bracelet on. I went into the garage to get my car to go to church in the morning, and hit it and didn’t realize it. They ought to give you some type of a vibration on your arm to let you know that you set that off. It doesn’t do anything so you don’t know it. You just go right on your merry way. They called my daughter and my neighbor, then they called the church. She saw me in there so she told my daughter I was in church. So, that was a bad experience. It scared everybody in the block.

Medical Alert response

Hi Dorothy, It sounds like you are happy with your Medical Alert system because now you have peace of mind living alone in case you fall again. If that is the case, would you mind updating your review to reflect your experience?

If there is something we can do for you, please do let me know!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us.

Best,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: June 25, 2019

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called, and it was wonderful. A young woman came on right away and she kept with me. My husband was just outside but he didn’t have his phone, so they couldn’t call him. The young woman kept asking me if I was alright. I was very satisfied and it was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and making sure I was okay during that period of 5 or 10 minutes before the paramedics came. I felt very safe.

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: June 22, 2019

I’m in a wheelchair and I can’t walk that good. I have to have a walker to get from here to the bathroom or here to the vehicle to go to the doctor. And I have to use a manual wheelchair when I get somewhere. I’m wobbly. I don’t have good balance and I have fallen in the past. I’m accident prone. I had a whole bunch of accidents and it made me feel bad. I got a device from Medical Alert and I’ve had good success with it.

Whenever I do mash my button, which I call as my little pager, and then they talk, I have a hard time hearing them. I nearly have to sit on top of the speaker to hear what they’re saying. If I’m a little bit away from it in the room, I can’t hear them. Other than that, Medical Alert is the first one I’ve ever owned and this is the one I’m sticking with. I feel a little more secure since having it. I know I have help at the touch of a button and that’s nice because I’m in a home somewhere between 12 hours a day by myself, so just to know I do have help if I need it, I appreciate that.

I used my device when I got cut. I got my big toe caught in the back door. They came and they got the bleeding to stop, bandaged it up really good for me. I also had to be carried to the hospital. I remember mashing the button and they got me to go to the hospital. I appreciate Medical Alert being there for me if I need somebody. That means a whole lot to me. It makes me feel a lot better.

Hi Steve,

Please reach out to Customer Care with any additional questions or issues on the volume. It might be a good idea to call just to be sure you have the volume properly turned all the way up:

1-800-906-0872

Connect America Medical Alert

Original review: June 20, 2019

Everybody that we’ve talked to at Medical Alert has been really kind and courteous. They walked us through the stuff that we didn’t know. My grandmother had been falling and they told me that if she braces herself or tries to get up, it will reset the thing, which I didn’t know. Then they had me throw it and it went off. The rep explained the difference between the two over the phone, which actually made everything so much clearer. Having Medical Alert has given my grandmother more security. She is older. She’s 82 now and she was falling a lot. She was home by herself and we were all concerned. The device is comfortable for her too, although she hits it a lot and she keeps us running to turn it off. Still, we recommended it to my grandmother's sister and she has it now as well.

Hi Andrea,

You sound like a wonderful caregiver.

Please reach out to Customer Care with any additional questions or issues.

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert systems work?
Medical Alert systems work by directly connecting you with an emergency operator during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, help is summoned and a family member or caregiver is contacted for you.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Medicare plans do not typically cover Medical Alert or any similar emergency systems.
What is Medical Alert’s average response time?
Medical Alert calls are answered in less than a minute by qualified, highly trained operators who will speak to you in your native language.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert medical alert system?
You’ll need to sign a Monitoring Agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term service contracts are required.
What is Medical Alert’s return policy?
You can cancel your service and return your equipment at any time without charge by contacting Medical Alert customer service.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Alert monitoring service?
You won’t have to pay extra for your spouse to add a second device. And with annual payment plans, an extra wearable pendant or wristband is provided.
Where are Medical Alert monitoring centers located?
All Medical Alert monitoring stations are located in the United States. The operators are trained, qualified and able to communicate in several languages.
Do Medical Alert emergency response services require a landline?
No. If you have a landline, you can set up your monitoring device through that landline; however, wireless technology is also available.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Medical Alert equipment is guaranteed to work and if it doesn’t, you can return it for a replacement through Medical Alert customer service.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes. Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert medical systems are waterproof. You can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath.
How much does Medical Alert cost per month?
Low-cost Medical Alert systems start at $19.99. Customers get discounts, free shipping and additional equipment when they choose the semi-annual or annual payment plans.

Do we recommend Medical Alert?

Yes. Medical Alert services keep people safe inside and outside of their homes by summoning help and notifying caregivers. The Medical Alert help button removes the cumbersome step of having to find a phone and dial for help. The system is easy to set up and operate. There are several payment plan options, a helpful caregiver app and a well-trained staff of emergency operators who can speak several languages. While costs can multiply as services are added, the annual payment plan offers perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Medical Alert Company Information