2. Medical Alert Systems
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.46/5

As the nation’s largest independent provider of medical alert systems, Medical Alert is trusted by hundreds of thousands of families, hospitals and healthcare organizations throughout the country–and with good reason.

Medical Alert provides comprehensive at-home and on-the-go medical alert systems to keep you safe and independent while living in your own home and community. Their lightweight, waterproof medical alert systems provide 24/7 monitoring and access to emergency response at the push of a button. Equipment comes at no charge with no activation fees or long-term contracts. Each system is available with Automatic Fall Detection, which senses a fall and connects you to an operator even if you can’t push your button.

Enjoy the independence you love and the security you need knowing that help is always just a button push away. Medical Alert delivers ultimate peace of mind at the best value with extremely affordable prices, unmatched customer service, a clean and transparent shopping experience, and immediate emergency response anytime, anywhere.

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Alert has a range of alert devices and a helpful caregiver app. Costs increase as services are added, but annual payment plans include perks like free shipping and a lockbox discounted service.

PROS

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS technology and fall detection
  • Wide selection of medical alert systems

CONS

• Additional cost for extra services

Top Medical Alert Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

I wear my Medical Alert all the time and I don't have any problem. I was 82 when I got it. I’m 86 now, and I live alone... I call in and check it every month and their staff has been very cooperative. They are knowledgeable and very kind. I would recommend it highly. I do all the time.

I've had a very good experience with Medical Alert. The other day, I fell and I had to use my button and called… It was wonderful knowing that somebody was checking up on me and making sure I was okay during that period of 5 or 10 minutes before the paramedics came. I felt very safe.

Medical Alert Call Now Toll Free (800) 852-0856 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is Medical Alert?

Older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance; plus, Medical Alert buttons are lightweight and waterproof, allowing you to wear it comfortably in the shower.

By wearing the Medical Alert pendant or wristband, you can summon help during any crisis or medical emergency. Fall detection technology triggers an automatic connection with an emergency operator even if you’re unable to push the Medical Alert button.

Medical Alert systems

Medical Alert products and services are available for in-home and on-the-go use. GPS technology enables operators to know precisely where you’re calling. With a landline, set up is as simple as plugging in the Medical Alert device into the phone cord, while cellular options are also available.

At Home Landline Medical Alert system
The At Home Landline Medical Alert system includes a stationary base which plugs into a wall and attaches to a landline phone cord. A waterproof button can be worn and pressed for immediate help and two-way communication. Operators will answer the call and send the necessary support.
  • Monthly prices start at $22.95 with a discount if you pay annually or semi-annually. The annual price includes free shipping, an extra neck button and a complimentary lockbox.
At Home Wireless Medical Alert system
The At Home Wireless Medical Alert system does not require a landline and provides wireless communication from the home to emergency operators who can dispatch help. The base unit can be used anywhere in the house and has an emergency button. There’s also a help button you can wear around your neck or on your wrist.
  • Monthly prices begin at $32.95, and you’ll receive a discount and extra features if you pay semi-annually or annually. With an annual payment, free shipping is included, as well as a lockbox and an extra button.
Mobile Medical Alert system
The Mobile Medical Alert system allows you to wear your emergency button on your neck or an alert band, and you can switch back and forth according to what you’re doing and what feels most comfortable. GPS technology enables emergency operators to know exactly where you are when you press your button.
  • New customers and annual payment plan customers will receive automatic fall detection as well. Payment plans are $37.95 per month, $34.95 semi-annually and $32.04 annually. A carrying case is included.

Compare Medical Alert systems

All Medical Alert At Home systems come with the option to add automatic fall detection for an additional $10 per month. With the Mobile Medical Alert system, fall detection is included with an annual payment plan.

At Home LandlineAt Home WirelessMobile
At Home Landline$22.95$18.95
At Home Wireless$32.95$27.45
Mobile$37.95$32.04

About Medical Alert monitoring center

The Medical Alert monitoring center is staffed by highly trained, multilingual operators who answer calls quickly to determine the best course of action, whether its dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact. Translation services are available in 140 languages, ensuring callers are understood when they need help. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. They will continue talking to you until help arrives, and can instantly contact a family member or caregiver. Regardless of the situation, you’ll speak to someone kind, caring and responsive.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the innovative 365Access Caregiver App, it’s easy for family members, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch with you and monitor your health and safety. Instead of waiting for you to call with an emergency, the Medical Alert app gives your caregivers the ability to know where you are and what your status is at all times.

By downloading this app right to their phones, your family members and caregivers can monitor your location and communicate with you. They can also set up notifications and set preferences for specific information to be shared. Caregivers can be proactive in learning where you are and how you’re doing and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Additional Medical Alert equipment

Medical Alert offers additional equipment to complement either home or mobile emergency response systems.

Mobile Elite

Mobile Elite costs $37.95 per month, but discounts are available with annual and semi-annual payment plans.

The MobileElite Mobile Medical Alert system is perfect for people who are often running errands or doing things outside the house. It’s an emergency button that travels with you, and it can be worn on your wrist or around your neck. The Medical Alert wristband looks like a watch — it’s a lightweight and waterproof help button worn around your wrist that can also convert into a neck pendant.

Mobile365

Mobile365 costs $10 per month in addition to your plan.

Mobile365 is the automatic fall detection technology that triggers a call to the operator if the system notices you have fallen, even if you’re unable to push the help button. You can speak directly into the device, and it’s waterproof with a 24-hour battery life. The Medical Alert Mobile365 is an excellent idea for people who travel outside of the home frequently.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: June 11, 2020

My Medical Alert device has been good to have.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Somebody told me about Medical Alert and I thought that getting it was a good idea at my age. I test the button all the time, and I like the response very much. The only thing that I did not like was that I haven't got a call for the heart and stroke. So, I decided to cancel it. When I got my statement, the amount was there, but I hope that I get credited to that amount. I wear the device all the time just in case. If I fall, I can press the button and someone will come.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I feel more secure with my Medical Alert device.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I'm an elder in a wheelchair. I've had a stroke and I live alone so I have my Medical Alert. I wear the thing on my neck 24/7. I'd push the button if I'm calling for help. One time, I called in as I was having a heart attack and an ambulance took me to the hospital.

Original review: June 7, 2020

Before I got Medical Alert, I fell on the floor and couldn't get up. I stayed on the floor all night. I stay here by myself and my daughter said that she can't be here all the time, so we should get Medical Alert. Right after I got it, I fell on the floor. I started bleeding and nobody was here but me. When I called it and they came to pick me up. I'm really proud of my Medical Alert. I try to keep it where I can see it all the time when I'm in the house. I wear it when I go out and when I go upstairs. I'm satisfied with the experience.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I have some balance problems as well as physical problems. So I thought it was time to get a Medical Alert device. I have been off and on home healthcare for four years and they highly suggested it too. Medical Alert makes me feel more competent and safer. I've had Medical Alert for a few years now and it's the third style I've had. I like the coverage that it has. Now, I do not sleep in it.

Three years ago, I fell in my bedroom. I had to use the device twice there, and they called 911, and they came and picked me up and hauled me off to the hospital. I was trying to call my son and I couldn't reach him. The operator for the GreatCall stayed on the line and she kept trying to call my son until she reached him. It was at night and he was on a business call. She reached him and she stayed on the line until he got over here, which was across town from him, where he was living. That really helped me that she got him before I went to the hospital and my big Boxer dog was trying to help the drivers.

I fell one time on the street. It was at the veterinarian's office. It was on the sidewalk, in front of my car. I was carrying my little Schnauzer dog into the vet and couldn't get up. The women who were employed there saw me and they came running out and then the doctor came out and lifted me up on my feet, and someone else carried my dog and went in. And the vet had me stay for a little while before I tried to leave. So, I've had some good experiences with Medical Alert. I had an operator on the line all the time talking to me and she wanted to know if I was all right. I told her that veterinarian and his employees were getting me inside and I was okay. So, she got off then.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I'm 92 years old and I don't have any family here. I have a helper during the week, but I live alone at night and on the weekends. I needed the protection. My niece in Atlanta told me to get something, and I did, but I wasn't very happy with it. I decided to change companies and I changed to Medical Alert, and I've been very happy so far. If I fall, then I can just punch the button and somebody would at least talk to me. However, this thing that I bought is more sophisticated. If I fell over unconscious, that's not very good for me, so I'm getting ready to cancel that part of the plan.

Still, one of the best things that I like about Medical Alert is when I got the little collar around my neck, and then, they also sent me a watch that I could put on my wrist. I absolutely love that because I don't like the thing hanging around my neck. My device is only for in my condo, not outside, and I keep that with me all the time, either on my wrist or in the pocket of my shirt when I'm at home. It also has a testing program on it that I'm supposed to do every month and I've done it twice. When we test it, it comes on and I talk to somebody immediately, so I like that a lot. They ask if I need help as well.

Another thing is that, I don't have to charge the device. It stays charged because it goes through the electric system. The other company's phone that hangs around the neck didn't stay charged very well and I had to charge it myself. All in all, I'm very happy with Medical Alert's product and it makes me feel secure because if I were to fall up here on the weekend, my helper wouldn't find me 'til 9 o'clock on Monday morning, so I could be here from Friday night 'til Monday if I didn't have some device.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I live alone and I had a heart attack in September. I figured that I really should have something. I decided on the Medical Alert and I've had it since October. But I got very confused because everything wasn't explained fully in the beginning and I really got upset about it. The testing and how to do things were not explained properly. Never having one before or not knowing exactly what to do, it just didn't sit right with me. I did not know I had to take that charger out of the unit and take it with me everywhere I went. But now, I understand that I have to have that with me which only makes sense. So far, so good.

But I did not know that the watch one could be used either as a necklace or a watch. I did not know that that did not register if I fell. When I called and spoke to a representative, she mailed me the teardrop. But I found out there was a $10 additional charge and I'm confused about that. Now, instead of 40.94 a month, it's costing me 50.94 a month. I love the system and it's very good but they should explain things a little more carefully. When their rep found out that I didn't know, she tried to tell me that I gotta do this. I said we needed to start from square one. I raised my voice and I overspoke her. But after that, everything was fine.

There was a time I wore the teardrop and I had a turtleneck sweater on. The teardrop was on the outside of the sweater and I went out. It was like a necklace and it was moving around. About 10 minutes after I got home, I had the rescue and the fire department here. They knocked on the door and I told them to come in. They asked if I was all right to which I replied I was fine. They said they had been trying to reach me as my unit kept going off. I said, "My unit goes off? Nobody called me."

I found out during this instance that when they call to see if you are all right, it comes up as an unknown number. When you answer the phone, they say, "Medical Alert." I don't answer my phone if it comes up as an unknown number because there are too many spam things going on and too many con artists. I told them that. They told me to check my phone because they were on the line with the rescue department. They had tried to get me four times. Sure enough, it was all unknown or a mobile number. It was not from around here too. I didn't like that. When Medical Alert calls you, it should say something on your phone other than unknown.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I needed a medical alert system and I ordered one through Medical Alert. I was in the garage and I had the door open. It was raining, and I couldn’t get up. I was cleaning my deep freeze out there and I kind of slipped. I thought, “I’m gonna fall. I might as well sit down and I can get up,” and I couldn’t get up at all. I was on the other side of the garage, and I crawled to the door of the garage to see if I can lift myself up by holding on to the retracts and I couldn’t. I crawled over to the porch and I couldn’t do anything on the porch, and I was getting wet. Finally, with all the effort I had, I held on to everything, and it took me an hour to get in the house. And I thought, “Well, listen, lady. You’re 95. You better get one.” I feel safer and a little more secure ever since they plugged my system in. I’ve been happy as a lark.

Medical Alert called me and wanted me to change over to another system where if I fell down and will be unconscious, it will be better. But it was a larger unit. Also, it wasn’t gonna serve my purposes. When I got the information on it, it said that I had to take it off at night. I don’t take this one off at night, because if I get up at night, I won’t risk anything. I gotta be careful because if I break an arm, a leg, or my back, I’ll be in a nursing home, and I can’t afford a nursing home. I live alone, too. I’m using a walker in the house and I’m really watching what I do, and I don’t walk and talk. And if I go someplace, I go with my family.

I’m supposed to test my Medical Alert device every month. I’m afraid to do it for fear I don’t get it turned back on right. But my niece is a nurse and she comes and takes me to the doctors. And so I have her help me, and we do it. The girls at Medical Alert are so nice. I asked, “Aren’t I supposed to be paying you a bill for the following year?” The rep said, “Well, I can do it right here.” She went ahead and took care of it, and I paid $200 for the year. I’d gladly pay it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I searched the companies on Google and looked at the benefits and prices, then I talked to a couple of people including the Medical Alert salesman and they were very patient with me because I was waiting. I got to the point where I’d be going into the shower myself which was the scariest. I haven’t fallen, but I’ve had issues. I figured, for me and for my kids’ peace of mind, it was good to have something around my neck in the shower. I had a seven-day-a-week aide coverage and I needed to wait till that was over ‘cause there was no need for me to pay for a device when I had somebody with me all the time so that’s how I came to Medical Alert.

The one issue I had was when my son came and installed it for me, there were discrepancies in the instructions in the booklet and online. If we'd look in the booklet, and then we'd look in the online instructions, there was a difference in the order of what we plugged into what and what we unplugged. The plugins’ ends weren’t exactly the same. We thought that we had the wrong cord. Eventually, we fixed it so it worked. But I still couldn’t get the phone and the machine far enough apart. Getting it set up was a minor problem ‘cause I couldn’t physically bend down and plug things into the wall. I had to have my son come and do it. The installation instructions contradicted themselves. We worked it out in the end, so it was okay.

There were a couple of times when I was drying myself vigorously that I accidentally set the device off. The people called me back instantly and I apologized. But thank god I haven’t needed it. My question is that if I fall and I’m nowhere near the phone, it’ll go off, I don't know if I can talk to them through the device. The thing is if they can’t reach anyone, they just send the ambulance. So, even if I fell in the shower, I couldn’t get to the phone. I'd call them and find out about it.

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert systems work?
    Medical Alert systems work by directly connecting you with an emergency operator during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, help is summoned and a family member or caregiver is contacted for you.
    Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
    Medicare plans do not typically cover Medical Alert or any similar emergency systems.
    What is Medical Alert’s average response time?
    Medical Alert calls are answered in less than a minute by qualified, highly trained operators who will speak to you in your native language.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert medical alert system?
    You’ll need to sign a Monitoring Agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term service contracts are required.
    What is Medical Alert’s return policy?
    You can cancel your service and return your equipment at any time without charge by contacting Medical Alert customer service.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Alert monitoring service?
    You won’t have to pay extra for your spouse to add a second device. And with annual payment plans, an extra wearable pendant or wristband is provided.
    Where are Medical Alert monitoring centers located?
    All Medical Alert monitoring stations are located in the United States. The operators are trained, qualified and able to communicate in several languages.
    Do Medical Alert emergency response services require a landline?
    No. If you have a landline, you can set up your monitoring device through that landline; however, wireless technology is also available.
    Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Medical Alert equipment is guaranteed to work and if it doesn’t, you can return it for a replacement through Medical Alert customer service.
    Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
    Yes. Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.
    Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
    Medical Alert medical systems are waterproof. You can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath.
    How much does Medical Alert cost per month?
    Low-cost Medical Alert systems start at $19.99. Customers get discounts, free shipping and additional equipment when they choose the semi-annual or annual payment plans.

Do we recommend Medical Alert?

Yes. Medical Alert services keep people safe inside and outside of their homes by summoning help and notifying caregivers. The Medical Alert help button removes the cumbersome step of having to find a phone and dial for help. The system is easy to set up and operate. There are several payment plan options, a helpful caregiver app and a well-trained staff of emergency operators who can speak several languages. While costs can multiply as services are added, the annual payment plan offers perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Medical Alert Company Information