toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

In 2010, I had a bypass surgery so I got a Medical Alert. I have the necklace, wrist, and the pocket unit. The wrist and the necklace units are only good within a certain perimeter and the other one, if I touch it, it can get help wherever I am. The only complaint I have with Medical Alert was when I accidentally pressed the button Medical Alert came on but after it went off, it seemed to take a long time to get through to someone answering.

Also, one time I was trying to test my unit and the phone number on the box itself wasn't the phone number for the testing department. There were two numbers on the unit that I got and I was phoning the one where it said, "test your unit" and it just kept ringing. And then I phoned one of the numbers in the brochure that I got with everything and I told them about it, but I don't know whether they changed that. Nobody got back to me to say, "this is the correct number that you should be ringing." But other than that, I haven't had to use it. And I've been talking to people there and the service has been good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

In a couple of weeks, on August 2nd, I will be 86 years old. I live by myself for the past 19 years since my husband passed away. I have a daughter who lives 15 minutes away from me but they have their own life. They come regularly and she calls me everyday, but I choose to do all my things myself. I get along and had no problems. However, I had fallen and fractured my pelvis, and couldn't get around, and my son said I need to have a medical alert system. I had a friend, Thelma who had the Medical Alert service and her grandson, Jason, evidently was a representative of Medical Alert in this area. So, Thelma called Jason right away and my son got the Medical Alert service for me immediately. As a matter of fact, my son renewed the contract with Medical Alert this year as his gift to me for Christmas.

So, I've had the Medical Alert service now for a couple of years. I have no problems with it. I switched from the medical alert device around my neck, which was very annoying because the string was too long and I'm not a tall person, to the bracelet which so good. I really like the product and it works fine. Then the young lady rep told me that I can wear the alert device when I go into the shower, and that's even better. Everything is very convenient for me. The alert device is on my left wrist, even when I go to bed, in case I ever need anything, and I have the little monitor sitting on a chest near the front door. I now also rely on a cellphone that's plugged right in on the nightstand.

Moreover, the team at Medical Alert have been very attentive. If the alert goes off, I don't even take a step and they're immediately calling me and saying, "Are you sure you're all right?" and I reassure them that I am. When they call, they are very kind and not demanding. One time, I had the alert device on my wrist, and I must have leaned against something. All of a sudden, somebody was calling me and I said the alarm might have gone off when I pressed my arm against something. So, I wasn't even looking for help but I was getting it anyway from them. It's been perfect. There's nothing more that they could possibly do for me. I am very pleased with the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had fallen and broke my left shoulder and my right wrist. I also had to have knees operated on. My husband decided that I should have a Medical Alert device in case I fall again. Luckily, I have not needed it, but it's there when I need it. I like that I have the one with the receiver that I can bring with me when I go shopping. It helps. In the house, I'll wear my device when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes, I forget that it's there, but a lot of times, I put it on in case I'll need it. The Medical Alert is a very good idea and a very good thing to have especially if one is getting older and has medical or physical problems. Having the necklace or the watch won't make a person feel alone knowing that somebody can help sooner.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I carry my Medical Alert device with me because I've had a triple bypass. I have a heart condition and vertigo, although I haven't had to push the button other than testing it. I like that it is mobile and portable because the cable goes out a lot of times here, so if my device is hooked on a phone line and it goes out, I can push the button forever but still not get any help. And when I go up the street and all of a sudden something happens, I'm able to push the button because I am able to carry it with me. I'd recommend the company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Medical Alert worked when my mother needed it. A few months ago, she had fallen and she knew I was at work. So she alerted the button and the guys from the fire department showed up. She wasn't injured but needed assistance getting back up off the ground, so the guys did that and it all worked out well. Once or twice, she leaned against it the wrong way and it activated, but it was a good thing that it worked. My mother is still a fall-risk and needs assistance using a walker when she's walking about, but she does manage much better than before through physical therapy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Medical Alert team has been very good. My mother's 91, lives alone and has ambulatory needs and they've been prompt whenever she called. I'd recommend them!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend of mine had fallen and was hurt. When I told the story to my daughters, one of them decided I needed Medical Alert and purchased it for me. One of my friends had Medical Alert for a while and she was the one who mentioned it to me. My daughters don't live with me and I live alone. I'm not that well and I’m worried that I might fall as I have steps in my house. But I feel more comfortable with the device on. I wear it every day. When I go out, I use the device with my cellphone with me. But I don't carry the cellphone around so I wear Medical Alert around my neck if I'm in the house.

We tested the device and it leads me in front of the house to the garbage pail, a little away from my condo. It takes that far. If it goes off, they do get in touch. I was glad to see that when I set it off twice by accident. Medical Alert called me right away and I thought it was very good. I didn't even know I set it off. However, I was getting calls from Medical Alert salespeople telling me about a different and a better device but my daughter had just paid for a year with my device. I kept telling them not to call me as I have it already, and the calls stopped. I've never really used the device in an emergency but I'm pleased at it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I feel comfortable wearing my Medical Alert. I needed one because if I fall, I can still get up all right, but if I couldn't get up, I'd be alone in the house for maybe days at a time because I don't have people checking in on me all the time. There was one funny experience but it says something about the quality of the product. I accidentally got mine into the washer and the dryer and it came off when I took off a shirt and the emergency people arrived at the door.

I said that nothing's wrong then I realized I didn't have my pendant on me and I said, "Oh, my goodness. It must be in the wash." And so they came in and helped me find it in the washer. It just worked fine ever since and the company sent me a new free one because of the fact that this went through the washer but I just have that in the drawer somewhere in case something happens to this one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am occasionally alone in my house and Medical Alert has been satisfactory. I've accidentally called them and they were there. They're always nice if I talk to them when I test my device.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My children are now less worried since I started using Medical Alert. I wear the bracelet at night because I'm always afraid that I won't be able to get out of bed the following morning.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm 78 years old, 70% disabled and rather dozens of things wrong with me. The incidents of falling down started increasing and I needed Medical Alert. I wear it around my neck or I'd have it sitting on a table next to me. I tested the device and it worked fine. Their team called in the telephone. I picked it up and told them it was just a test. They said, “Thank you very much.” I've been very satisfied with it even though I haven't used it yet.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’re gonna discontinue using Medical Alert because Mitchell’s on hospice already. He wore it every day, but he never had to use it. The only concern we’re having now with Medical Alert is they tried to disconnect everything and the phone wouldn’t work anymore. The family put back together the Medical Alert implements just to get the phone to work, so they will be calling the company today or tomorrow to be walked through the process of being able to take the alert system off and still have a working telephone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm 79 years old, I live alone and I had knee surgery. My daughter felt that it would be wise for me to have something in case of an emergency. Medical Alert is great and I wear it all the time. As they suggested, I wear it in the pool too. When I leave the house, I make sure that I can take the little GPS with me. I have to call in once a month and make sure that the device is active. Having an alert system makes me comfortable. If I do have a situation where I would need assistance, I have somebody to contact.

There was an incident early on where they hadn't sent me the case for the device. It was in my purse and it was accidentally activated. They called my family to tell them that they thought that it was activated accidentally because of the circumstances by listening to the sound. My daughter-in-law said their rep was delightful. I also have the bracelet and I wear it when I dress up. It's nice to have that because it's less conspicuous than the little black string around my neck.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have nothing but problems with Medical Alert. The problem started when someone called me up and said that there was a problem with my medical alert system and that I needed to send back the necklace. I said it's working fine. I tested it and it seemed to light fine. But they said there’s a problem with it and I had to send it back. I sent it back and they said I had to send them my other one. I did send it to them even though I purchased it from Costco, so it was mine, because they said that they can refurbish it and sell it to somebody else for $350 and if I didn’t send it to them, they’re going to charge me $10. So I sent it to them and then they sent me a bill that had $10 on it.

I called them up and asked what it was for. They said it’s because I didn’t send back the medical alert. I said I did and they asked me to prove it. I can’t prove it. You think I’m going to send something that cost more to prove it than the item is worth? So they didn’t tell me that that item was going to cost me $10 a month ‘til I paid $350 for it. For months I thought they were charging me with the same $10 that they promised to wipe out. I’d call and talk to people and they either say they’re going to do something or they never did anything, but they didn’t resolve the problem. Finally, I got a hold of someone who did resolve it and got rid of the $10 charge. So in the end, it all worked out okay.

Meanwhile, I sent the whole contraption back because I was sick of it. One time, I was laying in the pool swimming away and I heard a fire truck coming down the street. I watched them to see which apartment they were going to and asked them if they were going to number 14. They said yes. I told them I’m in the water and my alarm is laying on the chair. Maybe that’s why Medical Alert figured that I needed a new one. But I kept thinking I hope I don’t get all the ambulance bill because it's like $1500. I wrote a letter to the top person on how disgusted I was with everything, and no answer. I faxed it and mailed it in. So that’s when I decided to heck with this noise.

I also had my wristband and the button part started coming apart and started going off all the time. It happened over and over in just a few minutes’ time and it kept calling Medical Alert. They said to send it to them. I asked them how because it won’t stop calling them and they're going to send an ambulance or a fire truck to my house. They said to wrap it up in bubble wrap and put it in the freezer. So I did and that worked.

But I was satisfied with the response when I was testing the device. The equipment was good and went off when it was supposed to. The people were nice as far as when they’re trying to help me as opposed to when I called them and want their help. I think it’s a different set of people. One was more medically bent and the other one was more customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have more peace of mind since using Medical Alert. I wear it around my neck and occasionally, the little yellow light flicks on and I hit clear. I assume everything is okay. The only problem I had was that my telephone system and the Medical Alert system got in each other's way recently. AT&T explained to me that the first of the call went through Medical Alert before personal calls came through, and I don't know yet why I was having trouble with it but it was fixed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend of mine has Medical Alert, and she was able to give me some tips about it. I knew I had an ally in case I had some problems with it so that's why I chose it. One time I was opening up a jar of pickles, and set it off. I apologized and their team was so nice to me. They were so glad that there was nothing wrong. I feel so secure because I know I have it, particularly when I get in the shower. It’s also very comfortable I wouldn’t even know I have it on. I absolutely love it and I’m happy to have it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ll be 91 this month but I’m very healthy. I wear the necklace and have the equipment of Medical Alert to please my children. Because even though I don’t have anything physically wrong with me at all, I could still trip and fall. And none of them live anywhere near me - they all live in other states so they worry about me. I know that when I check my equipment, call in, the team of Medical Alert is always connected. They’re always there. And if I do have an accident, I’ll be able to push my button. However, I received my annual bill and I didn’t remember it cost me that much.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I fell several times three years ago. I passed out at the parking lot and was in the hospital for six days. They thought it was my heart, but it was low blood pressure. I haven't done that since three years ago, and I'm thankful for that, but that's the main reason my son bought the medical alert device for me, because he was scared to death.

I used another medical alert system before using Medical Alert, and it was one of the first ones that came out that had a telephone with it. However, I had to be by the phone if I fell. But with this one, even if I'm out, I can push the button and they'll come and find me wherever I happen to be. And not only that, but I have a card up on my refrigerator that gives them my information if the EMT would come in to find something. Furthermore, I've got a key on my door outside, and the EMT has the combination for it, so they can get into my house if it's locked up.

The Medical Alert team called me because I didn't check in and they wanted to know if my medical alert button was alright, and I said yes. I had also arranged with them that I would call them on the 18th of every month, and I haven't done that. They called my brother in Indiana because he was the first one on my cellphone. So, they knew up in Indiana before my husband or anybody did down here in Florida. That was another main reason why I got this button.

The medical alert button fits easily into my everyday lifestyle. I just put it in my bra. I hate it when it's hanging around my neck. The thing on the wrist is ugly also, so I wasn't interested in that. But when the device came loose from the little thing that it's plugged into, I put it underneath my bra and nobody knows it's there, but I can push the button if I'm down. I have had nothing go wrong since I've been with the medical alert service. I'm very pleased with it and I've recommended it a lot to friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was turning 82 years old and I live alone. I have a cousin who passed away at my age in her sleep and I spent some time with her children and talked about facing the future when one gets into their 80's and they're alone. It was a joint decision of my family and me to get a Medical Alert device for everybody's peace of mind. Within the next few months, I'm going to be living with one of them. But in the meantime, I feel perfectly safe because I know that if I need help, by just pushing a button, they would be here. Around the yard when I'm doing gardening, I have it on but there's no point in wearing it elsewhere. They have called and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a device that would call for help if I was out shopping and I told them since I have a good cellphone, it goes with me everywhere.

A few weeks after I had it installed, I fell and broke my hip. I wear the pendant all the time when I'm at home so I pressed the button and almost immediately, I heard the device saying, "emergency". Then a real voice said, "Do you need help?" I answered back, "Yes, I do. Please call the paramedics and my daughter." because they had her phone number as well. My lockbox had the key to my house and the paramedics knew how to get it. As they were taking me out on a stretcher, my daughter arrived since she lives just a few miles away. The next thing I know, I was in an ambulance on my way to the hospital. It all went very smoothly and was perfect. I'm happy to have the service in my house. I've shared the information with people in a club retired people and a lot of them were more curious. So, I gave out phone numbers and information about it and I think other people signed up because of my good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm on my own and old, and I do have some health problems. I've had a couple of medical alert devices, then a young man from Medical Alert called and talked to me about it. I got one and I've been satisfied with it. Their reps were courteous, friendly, and helped me get what I needed. I wear my Medical Alert all the time - when I sleep and when I take a shower. Most of the times, I wear it around my neck and every so often, I wear the wrist bracelet.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I test the Medical Alert Device, I'm fine with the people. And as far as Medical Alert responding when we call or I accidentally have hit the thing, they're immediately on it. When we've traveled, we've taken the product and they've told us what to do. However, I have a hard time getting a response back from a customer service person who's looking up information for me. That's the biggest complaint I have.

I called asking for them to send me a copy of a bill because they debit my account and I never know when the billing is going to happen. When I first got the product, it was a special. I was supposed to pay for five and get six months. Then the first time it was renewed, they didn't honor that. So, I had to call them, remind them, and get it done again, only to do the same thing the next time it comes up. So, I need to call them before they debit my card. Also, I can't get a notification from them. I asked for one about a month ago, and still haven't received it. Nevertheless, the product is great, and I would recommend it to anybody who's fallen.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband died, and he made me promise I would get a medical alert device because I'm diabetic and have several health problems. My children also insisted upon it, so I gave everyone peace of mind. I have a wrist alarm from Medical Alert and it looks like those electronic watches that everybody has, so everyone thinks I'm just being healthy. I don't ever take it off. I'm very happy I have it and I wouldn't give it up. My great granddaughter who is three, thought that button was very attractive, so she pressed it. I called Medical Alert right away because that was the first time it had gone off and I didn't want the rescue people running, but it was a good test with the system as I haven't had to use it.

I also have that extra program that I'm really not interested in, where if I have my doors open, I couldn't use my necklace alarm at 400 feet. I think it was $100, and at that time, it sounded good, but I never activated it as I don't think that was a good plan for me. Other than that, Medical Alert is a wonderful program. My mother who lives next door by herself is 101 years old and she also has it. She has used hers and I'm very thankful for that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got Medical Alert because the home device is only good if I'm at home and useless if I'm out walking somewhere else. I feel safer knowing that I can take the device with me so I can get help if I have an accident. I wear it the whole day every day. I used the wristband before but every time I turn around, I was activating the device since I'm too active. So I got the necklace and it works better. I wear the device under my brassiere so it doesn't ride up and get strangled. Medical Alert has been a good asset.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband has serious dementia and he was placed into a nursing home after I had a couple of mini-strokes. My kids didn't want me to be alone without some kind of protection. I now have MedicalAlert and I test the device once in a while to check. I also took it when I went to Florida, so I did an address change. Their staff answered my calls immediately and everything's been fine. I fixed the device like a bracelet. I took the bracelet one and I put a man's stretch bracelet on it. I put a few little stones on the top to give it a little bit of bling and I wear it all the time. I rarely take it off. People comment about it because it's certainly different.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have accidentally hit my button about once every 10 days to two weeks so I run down and cancel it, but occasionally I don't make it in time and they'd come right on the speaker and ask if I need medical assistance. Then they'd ask me to identify myself and I have to reassure them that I'm fine. They're very pleasant, very courteous and it's just a mistake. Then one time I did fall down and it alerted them, but it was a very soft fall so I wasn't hurt. I feel very secure as an elderly woman living alone with marble staircase. It gives me a very good sense of security to have this around my neck all the time and I rarely take it off except to sleep at night. I've recommended it to friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm 92 years old and I have trouble with my legs. I have a walker and a cane so I need assistance sometimes. I was with a previous company and at one time, I fell in my front garden and was unable to get up. I pressed the button because I figured I was close to my house but nothing happened. I then changed to Medical Alert. I have their device that I wear around my neck, and if I press it, I get a response. I sometimes go to Florida in the winter and I needed something while I'm out there, and Medical Alert has it.

The only thing is that I wear a wristband at night in bed and it is not as comfortable as the one I had with the previous company, which was lighter. Also, I was told that I should press it once a month to check and make sure that it's working. I have been doing it, and there is a lull between when the alarm sounds and when I speak with someone, whereas, there was none with the other company. Other than those, I'm fortunate that I haven't had to use it in an emergency.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My son lives in California and he doesn't want to get any more freak calls. Also, my wife colluded with him because she goes to business and I'm home alone. So they felt they wanted somebody to take care of me. It's that Medical Alert. I usually test it once a month myself but I press the button and don't use the testing procedure that they suggest. I actually get a live person speaking good English and I've always had a courteous rep. However, if I drop the medallion that I wear, which is supposed to be for falling, it doesn't trigger the alarm. But sometimes, when I lay it down, 10 or 20 seconds later, it will give me a false report of falling. And that happens sometimes when I'm wearing it and sometimes when I'm not wearing it so I had that changed the first two months.

I had a similar problem with too many false alarms but it never calls on a dispatch because I've always had the opportunity to press and hold the button like they ask you to and they cancel the alarm. But it's not worth much if a patient were to fall because I doubt if it would go off, especially if you have a carpet. However, the button does work. If I press it, they respond on the loud speaker within 20 seconds. It has been fortunate but I haven't had to use it and I'm hoping I would never have to. It's like you don't want your house to go on fire even though you have fire insurance.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I live alone in my own home and I'm elderly, and a friend of mine from the Senior Citizens Center recommended Medical Alert. I then purchased it, and then, one of their representatives called to find out if I wanted to have the portable, handheld thing that is good anywhere. It would be a good thing to have, but I didn't find it useful since I have a cell phone. I'm on a fixed income and I don't like paying the fee.

I haven't had to use my Medical Alert device, but I’m glad that it gives me a sense of security. I have two pendants and I wear one around my neck both day and night. When I go out, I can't wear it because it won't work. I occasionally check the main box and press the emergency button to make sure that everything works. I used to wear my device with the little button outward, and at one time, I leaned over a piece of furniture, and I accidentally activated it. I got a quick response from their customer service people. I told them that I pressed it by mistake, and they asked me if I was okay. They are very friendly and responsive.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm getting old, so needed to have a medical alert device. I wear it around my neck and I carry the little transmitter with me when I go out. It gives me peace of mind and a feeling of being safer with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was falling a lot so my husband suggested that I get a Medical Alert. I looked into it and got the bracelet. I set it up myself and have no problem wearing it. It’s fantastic.

Medical Alert Company Profile