Call toll free
4.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, the largest independent medical alarm company in North America offering lifesaving at home and on the go medical alarm solutions to consumers, hospitals, home healthcare agencies and healthcare professionals nationwide. Medical Alert allows customers to live independently and safely while staying in their own homes and communities. If help is needed, you can push a button and connect with SIA-certified monitoring professionals at UL-accredited, 5 diamond, fully redundant emergency monitoring centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fall detection is available on every system so even if you can't push your button you can get help. Medical Alert is recommended by leading hospitals, home healthcare agencies, and healthcare professionals nationwide.

With Medical Alert you can enjoy independence at home or on the go. In any emergency situation, help is only a push of a button away.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

779 Medical Alert Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I’m getting clumsy and I’m afraid I might fall down. But when I didn't have my Medical Alert device for about a month, it quit working. I called them and they told me to send that old one back then they sent me a new one. They also told me to take it off when I go to bed because when I move around, that sets it off. But there were lots of times that I would forget and go to bed with it at home. Also, I work at a shop and I’m always laying down. I would be underneath the car working and when I roll over, that sets the device off. So finally, I just put it up. It's just too much trouble. I also called them once and they transferred me over to somebody else. I was gonna pay them for a year at the time but the rep was sarcastic with me so I hung up and threw the device in the drawer. I'm paying 40-something dollars a month but I don’t need it.

I hated that thing you gotta wear on your belt. We used to wear pagers and I hated those things with a passion. I didn’t know that I had to wear that thing all the time and I do the same thing with this Medical Alert thing. As for that watch band thing, I was always sticking my hands somewhere and setting that thing off. If I just had one device, like that thing hanging around the neck, that would be fine. But you have that thing hanging on your belt, that one hanging around your neck and the one on your arm. That thing that hangs around your neck needs to have a speaker in it. So that’s all I would have to wear and if I fell down or got hurt, all I would have to do is push that button. It also needs something so you wouldn’t have to charge that battery up on that thing all the time.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had three friends who lived by themselves. One had a stroke and they didn’t find her for three days. One fell in her kitchen and nobody found her until the next morning. The other one fell in her garden and wasn’t found until the next morning. I thought I would need something so that I can notify if anything happens to me. In fact, I believe every woman or man who lives by himself should have something.

I've had Medical Alert for four years and I don’t worry now. When it's gotten pushed, it's always been an accident and when that happens, they call me. One time I was not at home and I didn’t know I had pushed it. I had pushed the thing around my neck and the white thing was up at my hotel room. I didn’t take it with me because I was with my children and figured I didn’t need it. They called and of course, they couldn't get ahold of me. They tried to get ahold of my son and when they couldn't get ahold of him, they called the gatehouse of the community I live in. She knew where I was and that I was all right so she called my daughter and then my daughter called Medical Alert. I used to accidentally touch the button a lot because I kept it in my pocket when I walked. But I'm not walking as much anymore so I've not had any accidental pushing.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I wanted security and I feel very comfortable now that I have a Medical Alert device. I used it a couple of times when I first got it. I fell a couple of times. Medical Alert's response time was fine. I wish they'll quit calling and trying to sell me more services. Other than that, I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I’m 91 years old and I was in a wreck where I broke my neck, arms and both of my legs. I also fell on the bathroom and broke my hip and leg. A friend of mine has Medical Alert and they said it was good. I've had to use it several times about getting in and out of the bathtub. It wasn’t called in but my friends would be in the house and they would hear me talking. Then, they would come to my rescue. I haven’t had any problems with it and the company. They handled the situations really good but after a while, I couldn’t afford it. I needed something on me in case I fell and that would have cost even more, so I just had to quit.

Hi Virgie,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I live by myself and my daughter put the Medical Alert device in. She wanted to feel that she can contact me and that was the only reason why I have it. But the one I'm wearing on my wrist slips around on my arm and I might cut a piece off of this one. Also, sometimes, I'm running and trying to do things and I hit it without even knowing. The other night, two policemen came. I thought somebody was breaking in. I turned on all of my lights and I saw them on their uniforms on in the hallway. It scared me a little bit but still, I haven't had any problems with the device.

Hi Rovena,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My husband had dementia and I got the Medical Alert device mostly for him. He passed away, so then I took it over for myself. Being alone, I feel better that I have my device because if I should fall or even if someone tried to break in, I could still call for help. I have t around my neck and it seems to be working okay. I’ve pushed the button once when I had an emergency and they took me to the hospital and another time which I hit by mistake and set it off. They responded quickly. The only part that I don’t like about it, when I set it off, I had to hurry and go in the bedroom where it is and push the alarm thing. Despite that, I’d still recommend them.

Hi Lela,

I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I got my Medical Alert device for myself. I had fallen twice in one day, and I live alone. Though I can’t wear the device outside, it’s useful in my apartment right now. So in a way, I feel a little more secure knowing it’s there. I wear it on my wrist and for some reason the leather strap is uncomfortable, with the two thick beads in there which I’ve never figured out what it’s for. One thing that bothers me is that they called me one time wanting to know if I wanted more protection on there. I told them, “No,” and then I found out they went and put that protection on. Other than that, I’m happy with my experience.

Hi Myrna,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was falling a lot so I got the Medical Alert device. I used it for an emergency, and the team asked me if I was okay and if I was not physically hurt. I would fall and couldn't get up, and they would come to pick me up. They sent the ambulance and they had to bring me to hospital once. There was another time where they came and picked me up and then brought me to my chair where I sleep in, and they left.

My device is okay and I'm fine with the band. But I can’t stand it on the neck. I wear it on my wrist, and it’s okay. I can bathe. I have a walk-in bathtub, and physically, I can take care of myself with washing. But sometimes, when I go to the bathroom and I have to pull up my panties, I lose my balance and I fall back on the toilet seat. I broke my toilet seat and the hinges. I fell back on it. Just this week, I had to hold the button again to make it comforting for myself. And so, it’s okay to have this button to push in case I can’t get up, and I can call them. And sometimes I can go to the box quickly enough to tell them that I’m okay.

The thing is I have a box in my kitchen, and it goes off too often. I haven't been falling and I’ve been doing good. I can’t walk too good and I can’t talk too good anymore. But I did not push the button, and yet that goes off, and then I have to rush to my kitchen to put the button down, and then I do not call them. And sometimes I would be on one end of the house, and that goes off. I had to rush quickly to the box because it’s so far away from me. I would not want someone to come unnecessarily. Medical Alert is good to have because I know I have a way out, and it’s comforting. Whoever wants to have Medical Alert, I would recommend it but only if they would give them decent choices.

Hi Kathe,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I got the Medical Alert device and wear it on my neck which doesn't bother me because I have it in between my shirt and my undergarment. One time, I was having awful pain in my legs and I thought I had broken a hip. I used the Medical Alert device and the responders were very kind and polite. I'm very satisfied and I am glad to know that if something will happen, I can get help.

Hi Mildred,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had a broken back, a broken shoulder twice, broken arm, artificial knees, and I walk with a walker. And I live alone now. So, I'm afraid to fall if I go out. I got a Medical Alert device and I fell going out, and I had to use it. The response time was great. The Medical Alert team also phone me continuously if it's down on battery. I'm happy with it. I would advise my friends to get Medical Alert if they needed it.

Hi Raymond,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My husband was falling a lot. Most of the time, I was here and I could get help to get him up. However, sometimes, he would be out in the garden and I wouldn’t be here, so we thought it would be a good idea to get the Medical Alert for him. He didn’t like the bracelet because it would slide around to the underside of his arm and then, when he would go to get up such as in a recliner, he would cause the alert to go off. So, he decided that he was not gonna wear it anymore. So, part of the time, he wore it and part of the time, I wore the necklace which we also got, so I could call for help to help him. That was the original plan and then, when he got bad enough, we had to put him in the nursing home.

Not too long after that, my son-in-law’s mother fell in the bathtub. She laid there from 1 o’clock to 5 o’clock. She called for her husband but he didn’t hear. I thought that I’m here by myself now and I need to wear it. After that happened, I called Medical Alert because I was thinking that I needed to have the fall thing. I got on the deal that if I fall, then somebody will know about it. Sometimes, I would accidentally activate it if I press a jar or something to my chest to open it. All of a sudden, it starts saying, “Emergency! Emergency!” So, I come in here, turn it off and hit clear. We’ve never had them actually contact people to come and help us. We’ve always been able to do it ourselves but it’s good insurance to know that we would have help if we needed it. I didn’t feel I needed it when there were two of us here at home but after he was gone, I thought, “Gosh, it could happen to me.”

Hi Leola,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I found out my potassium levels and sodium levels dropped really low. When it drops really low, I get dizzy and fall down, and then I don’t know where I’m at. Somebody comes and finds me. I got a medical alert device just in case I fall down. The last time I fell, I was in a nursing home. I called Medical Alert then. They were nice. They explained the button and the charging system, the device that you have to keep on charge. But I didn’t realize that you gotta take that little device with you everywhere you go. You gotta put it in a case and put it in your pocket, or it’s not gonna work if you leave the house and go to the grocery store. It won’t work within 500 feet of the house, unless you got that little device with you.

I’ve tested the button on my necklace. I’ve accidentally punched it a couple of times, and they said, “Press the button within 33 seconds, unless you need help, to clear it when it’s a mistaken call.” So, it clears itself. I’ve always been able to clear it before they sent an ambulance out here. Having that service makes me feel more secure. I also got a box on my door for a key. If I fall, I’m not able to get up to go to the door. Since I hadn’t had any calls, they ought to give me a non-use discount on this thing. But I’d recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The Medical Alert device was recommended to me so I got one. I wear it around my neck and at nighttime it is right above our bed or in the bed with me. I have used the help button before to check. So far, the alert device has been useful, although I haven’t had to use it a lot. But just knowing that I have it, if it is what it’s supposed to be, then I feel comfortable. If it does what they say, then it’s worth having. I am satisfied with it because it has been to me what it was recommended for.

Hi Odell,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have recommended Medical Alert to several friends. My experience has been good. I have MS and I live alone and while I haven’t had to use the system, I have a very good sense of security since I've had it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Anybody that is over 70 years old ought to have a Medical Alert. I've had one for a good while now. They talked me into stuff that I didn’t need though, like the thing if you fall. I can’t wear that thing. I've got to hang it on the side of my bed. On the other hand, I've had to use my Medical Alert one or two times, and it worked. I just needed to go to the hospital. There was also one time that it went off but I didn’t know it did and they showed up. Overall, I’m satisfied with my Medical Alert.

Hi Richard,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I'm 84 years old and I live by myself, so I decided to get a Medical Alert device. I got one over the phone and since getting it I've been wearing it around my neck during the day and on my wrist at night. I feel confident that I can get help if I need it.

Hi Dona,

Glad you're ok. Thanks so much for your feedback! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got Parkinson's and I kept on falling so I got a Medical Alert. One time, I pushed it by mistake and the response time was fast. I've had it for a month now and so far, I like it and it's doing fine.

Hi Jerry,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I live alone and I’m 90 years old. I felt that I needed the Medical Alert in my house so I got one. When I tested it, they responded immediately. I’ve been very satisfied with it and it’s been good for me, so far.

Hi Justine,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I’ve had a couple of mishaps here and there, and on one of them, I wound up on the floor in my apartment. For five hours, I couldn't get up. Luckily, my neighbor finally came home. And after that, I was like, “I better get something.” I got a device from Medical Alert. It came with the lock for the door, and I gave each of my neighbors and my daughter a set of keys. So, they have the information that they need in case they have to get in to help me. I gave them the code, so they won’t have to break down the door. Medical Alert told me to test my device, so I test it every once in a while and it’s been working okay. They say, “Just a minute, we’re getting to you,” and then the man gets on the phone. Their response takes not more than five minutes. It could always be quicker. If you’re having a heart attack and they don’t answer right away, you would drop dead before they answer. But they usually seem to pick up fairly quickly.

I have the device that looks like a cell phone, which is on the outside of the house. It said I had to press the top of it if something happens, and it has a button on the top and it’s supposed to blink. And on the inside, I wear the bracelet. They also sent me one that goes around the neck and that is very sensitive. So, one time when I had it on, I went to lean over for a minute, and the thing started going off like crazy. I didn’t press anything and I got a little nervous. So, I just wear the bracelet one, which seems to be okay. It’s not as sensitive. I’m used to it now.

Hi Louise,

I'm glad you're ok.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I'm 87 years old and I live by myself, so I felt that I needed a medical alert device and I got one from Medical Alert. It's very comfortable. I'm very pleased with it and I will not get rid of it. But I wasn't good about wearing it till I fell. Fortunately, the day I fell I had it on so that convinced me that I need to wear it every day. The Medical Alert team was fabulous and I can't say enough good things about them. They were here in no time and that was great. But after they got me to the hospital, I stayed in a carrier for four hours so that wasn't great and I wasn't pleased with the hospital. But the people from Medical Alert that were with me were wonderful the whole time. I had an excellent experience with Medical Alert and I was very impressed with them.

Hi Virginia,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was thinking about getting a medical alert device for a long time, and then I fell and broke my hip. I got Medical Alert and my sense of security is better. I've hit the button accidentally once and they did respond, on the speaker thing. It's great to know what would happen. I'm just wondering if I should take that speaker thing with me when I leave the house by myself. Other than that, I wear the button around my neck and it's comfortable enough.

Hi Shirley,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The Medical Alert device is good to have. When you fall in middle night, early morning or whatever the time is, they get to you quick. Most of the time, they have to take me to the hospital because the sugar don't go up quick. They're always there for me and they would do what they have to do. Also it doesn't take them a long time to come. Their office is nearby to me. I wear the button around my neck when I'm in the house. I don't wear it if I'm going anywhere. I have a different button that they gave me to wear if I'm going on the road. I live alone and I'm really happy to have them. If I didn't have them, maybe I would have died already.

Hi Icilda,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When I was much younger, I had a lot of health problems. I'm 88 now and I've had Medical Alert for at least 20 years. I first got this neck one. I also have a bracelet one that I never wore. There wasn’t any reason to do it and they're very uncomfortable. They're almost 2.5 inches wide and very bulky. I've tried to replace this one, and evidently, they don't make that black cord that you can make short or it gets long to take off. The ones that they have now, you can't adjust them. But I'm happy with what I have now. I would definitely recommend them. I feel very, very, more confident in myself in knowing that I have something, or somebody that would come if I had a problem.

Hi Esther,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I’ve seen Medical Alert advertised in quite a few places and I thought it was a good recommendation seeing them advertised in drugstores than different places, but they never seemed to have them in stock. The reps were very good with the way they explained things to me when I was seeking it. They explained pretty well everything that I need to know about it. My husband has the wrist one on but I have the necklace as well. He likes the wrist one because it’s easier for him rather than the necklace. Any time we have had to use it, the response has been very good. My husband had fallen, so we needed an ambulance come help pick him up. The response time was within 20 minutes, which was very good considering where we are from Gravenhurst. I would recommend Medical Alert.

Hi Frances,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We’ve had quite a few calls by hitting the Medical Alert button accidentally, and their reps were very nice and understanding about it. The system works real good. They’ve been a real good company. I have had a problem about another company that called here, and they tried to tell me that my company was dropping the state of California because they were having’ a lot of problems with their system, and they got me to take them. I called my company and they said, “No way,” and that they had never said anything about dropping this state. They’ve been a real good company. If you need one take a Medical Alert.

HI Betty,

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

A friend told me about Medical Alert. I have to be careful with it. I usually have it around my neck except when I wash or go to bed. One morning I didn’t take it off. I bumped it getting up and they answered right away. The response team was right there at my door. I would recommend Medical Alert highly. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so much for your review! We value our customers and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Some friends and the family kept insisting that I get a Medical Alert device because I live alone. It’s not comfortable. I have to tuck it in my bra and when I wear it at night sometimes it strangles around my neck with the cord. I don’t like that part but I feel I need it more at night than in the daytime because I’m totally alone and in bed. If something happens, then I could push the button.

Hi Terry,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please let me know if you would prefer the wristband version of Medical Alert instead of the necklace. That might be more comfortable for you.

Customer Reviews Manager, Medical Alert

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My son got me the Medical Alert for Christmas. When I set it off accidentally, they called my daughter-in-law first to get the key out here, and my son came up to see what was the matter. I like the device and I wear it all the time, except when I'm out. I’m very satisfied with Medical Alert. It has been working for as long as I've had it.

HI Mary,

So glad you son made the choice to get a Medical Alert device.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My 93 year old mother has had her Medical Alert button for a few years. She is still fairly active. Unfortunately she has accidentally pushed the button many times. While she in the house, she has been able to cancel the call when the machine calls "Emergency". However, she has pushed it, unknowingly, when she is outside and unable to hear the callback from her machine or phone. Thus a visit from emergency services!! Everything worked very well as far as response from a call at her residence, but we are wondering what we can do to prevent these accidental calls. Could there be a beeping from the pendant itself? Or at least a vibration when it is pushed? Ambulance drivers have been excellent and stated that it is good practice, but after three false alarms we don't want to push our luck! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi Sally,

I will have someone reach out to you to talk about false alarms and some tips to minimize.

Thanks,

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a medical alert device before with a company in Richmond. But they were gonna change and I never got back with them. So then my daughter got me hooked up with Medical Alert. I like the wrist band better than the necklace. I feel like if I would fall, I don’t know if I would remember to get the necklace off or not. The wrist band would always be handy. I've accidentally pressed the button two or three times, and Medical Alert would call on the phone and I would tell them that it was a mistake. I broke the arm band a while back and I called and told them that I needed another one. So they sent me the arm band and the necklace. But they didn’t charge me for it. My daughter had to do a reset on it when I got the new thing. She set it up and it’s in working order.

Hi Mabel,

Very happy to read that you're pleased with your Medical Alert and everything is in working order.

Medical Alert expert review by Shelley Webb

Be protected anytime, anywhere, even if you can’t push your button. Automatic fall detection and water-resistant technology allow wearers and their loved ones to have peace of mind in any situation.

• 24/7 response center: Support network available at all hours of the day to assist in medical emergencies.

• Stays on the line until help arrives: No matter where you live, a U.S.-based operator will stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

• Easy setup: Simply plug the base unit into a power outlet, then push the button to call for help.

• One monthly price: Basic monitoring equipment comes at no extra cost with no hidden fees, no activation charges and no long-term commitment required.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Alert Company Information