4.7/5 (616 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I have been doing business with LegalZoom for more than 20 years and over the course of LLCs, a 501C plus will and trust. I have nothing but praise for the people at LegalZoom. They are knowledgeable, professional, cordial and unrelenting in problem solving.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for your kind words, Curtis! We're honored to have been able to serve you for 20 years and we'll continue to provide the best level of service moving forward. We appreciate you for being a loyal LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I feel totally taken advantage of by this company. I filed a TM through their system & I was told by the sales associate, while he guided me through their website, to sign up for a Lawyer Consultation for $39 (one call only). He highly advised it, so I did. I just realized on my Bank Statements that I have been charged $39/monthly for 4+ months now!

The website is very confusing when you look at the user profile -- under setting "My Orders" it says free 14-day trial. There is NO indication that a monthly subscription has been applied to my account. I called the customer service, after the fact, when seeing these constant charges & was told they do not offer refunds. I explained that
1.) I was misled by the original Sales rep.
2.) I didn't use the service (unknowingly I've been paying for it).

3.) The website user profile doesn't indicate a monthly subscription fee under the user "My Orders" tab. INSTEAD, what I just learned-- you need to click on a separate membership portal to manage or cancel subscriptions.

I am very upset that I wasted this $200+ on literally NOTHING, because I was not aware I was being charged for it. PLUS a subscription was made on my behalf. WRONG!!!! The 'one time' $39 lawyer consultation is ACTUALLY a $39 monthly SUBSCRIPTION. The order/product description is "14 Day Trial Business Advisory Plan".... This is confusing, listed the same even after being canceled 4+ months later!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

My experience with a knowledgeable Legalzoom expert named Jon, was so favorable, I had choice but to leave a review: He traversed complicated sub/legal terrain with the finesse of a swordsman, answering all of my questions with precision and with good cheer. It is difficult to have asked for more. Touché to Legalzoom for hiring such knowledgeable people. It is very, very rare in American businesses today.

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear about the positive experience with Jon and we're honored to have him on our staff. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly, Herbert. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I wanted to cancel a LLC that I started through LZ. My process had made it to Sec. state. LZ would have to call to stop process & they purposely kept giving me the runaround to keep from refunding my money.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

The agent was very helpful and knowledgeable. She understood my needs and guided me to make the right decision. I recommend this company to anyone who desire to have less stress in filling out an application for the registering of his or her business.

LegalZoom response

Thank you so much for sharing your review and trusting us with your business start-up, Irma. We’re honored to partner with you along your business journey and we'll continue to provide top-notch service anytime assistance is needed. Congratulations on making it official!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I've used LegalZoom for at least two rounds of estate papers because I keep losing executors. I also used it for my late brother's last-minute papers, as he had neglected this completely. The service has always been fast, accurate and professional, and Customer Service was great on the one occasion I had a question.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for choosing us to assist with your estate planning, Carole. We're happy to hear that we've been able to deliver for you time and time again and we'll continue to do so in the future anytime our assistance is needed.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I've used Legal Zoom several times over the years. I needed to get a POA and contacted Legal Zoom and it couldn't have been easier. After filling out the paperwork online with a little guidance, I pushed the button and off it went. Within an hour I received a response that my order is ready to ship! This was done in one phone call. The person who took my call was very knowledgeable and helpful. I was also able to set up an S-Corp several years ago with ease.

LegalZoom response

We’re happy you found our templates easy to use. We appreciate your review, Lois. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

The level of professionalism goes above and beyond. I had the honor of having Patty during my transaction and she made everything a breeze. Her level of knowledge and politeness made everything easy to understand. She gave me every option possible to help me make the right decisions for my needs. Thank you Patty for being awesome.

LegalZoom response

We're so glad to hear that Patty was able to provide you with the level of support that you deserve, Carlos. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review and we'll be sure to pass it along to Patty directly. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Christian was kind, patient and knowledgeable about the documents I needed. He made a difficult task very easy and it brought me peace of mind. I needed a POA and this was by far a very positive experience, thanks to Christian and the Legal Zoom team.

LegalZoom response

We're glad our support staff was able to provide peace of mind while helping to establish your estate plan. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review, Rushandra, and we'll make sure Christian is recognized to acknowledge a job well done. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

When originally going about filing for this, I had a lot of questions. There is a lot involved with starting up an LLC for a business. Michael was the guy that helped me and I couldn't be happier about his professionalism and knowledge about starting a business LLC. Would recommend 100 times over to anyone looking to start a business.

LegalZoom response

When honored that you chose us to assist with starting your business, Benjamin, and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to Michael directly. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer and congratulations on making it official!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I'm working on a Patents Pending application. Dealing directly with the patent office is chaotic a best. Legal Zoom has an EXCELLENT step by step guidance process that relieves the stress of filing. Thank you very much.

LegalZoom response

We couldn’t be happier for you, Kelson, for protecting your life's work and allowing us to take part in that. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I found out you have to pay and record deed to avoid probate courts ... Dahh LOL So I needed to finish this process because what would be the point of doing a Living Trust if not done! Bryan was so professional and educated and stayed on the line with me and walked me through the whole process correctly. Nowadays when you call Customer Service anywhere all you get is a rush fast out of communication in a hurry to get your info and get you off the phone and in this case I got the real customer service rep willing to listen and carry on his job till he was done with me!!! That kind of rep the world needs in any business because everything nowadays is on line or over the phone! Thanks for having him!

LegalZoom response

This is an example of the type of support we aim to provide to all of our customers, Leanna, so we're glad to hear that Bryan was able to take such good care of you. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Legal Zoom was very helpful in completing the request for Power of attorney and Living Will. Walker and Kevin made it very easy for us to understand what we were doing and why, without all the legal terminology. Price was reasonable as well. Thank you Legal Zoom.

LegalZoom response

We’re happy we could provide the reasonably priced resources to help to establish your estate plan. Thanks for sharing your review, Gerald, and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

David ** is just a top notch agent! The best energy, knowledge and attitude around. Helped me with everything I needed, was super efficient and friendly! Made me feel at home! Thanks David and thanks Legal Zoom!

LegalZoom response

We're so happy David was able to provide a top-notch experience for you, Noe. We aim to provide such experiences to all of our customers so we're glad he was able to deliver for you. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

The agent with LegalZoom was more than willing to help me with my questions. The agent was very knowledgeable of his job and made sure I understood everything before I got off the phone with him. I would definitely recommend LegalZoom to my family and friends.

LegalZoom response

We're glad to hear that our support staff was able to make things a bit easier for you, Kimberly, and we appreciate your recommendations. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I am a subscriber of LegalZoom. They have helped me tremendously with info to launch my business. I am thankful for their services. Their agents are knowledgeable and very helpful. I feel secure with their services and their commitment to my business needs.

LegalZoom response

We're honored to be a part of your business journey, Carla. Congratulations on making it official and thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Called Legalzoom and was transferred to the business section and I got a guy named Andrew who was very friendly, professional, thorough and helpful. I would recommend legalzoom.com's services anytime for the entrepreneur, young or old. Thanks Andrew!

LegalZoom response

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review, Daniel, and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to Andrew directly. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I needed to call Legal Zoom to complete my last will as I had some errors. The CS rep was kind, patient and understanding, and walked me through the form and helped me get it right. I appreciate the quality of customer service, very refreshing to get this level of assistance.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for sharing your review, Dennis, and for being a LegalZoom customer! We’re happy we could provide the resources to establish your estate plan.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I received excellent service from Legal Zoom doing my course of visit with a representative from Legal Zoom. I will recommend Legal Zoom to my friends. I received excellent service in a short amount of time. The individual was very professional throughout the course of our business preparation.

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear your report of excellent customer service, Charles. We'll continue to provide this level of support any time our assistance is needed in the future. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Demiayah was very friendly and very helpful. She gave me insight into how Legal Zoom works and what to expect next. She was professional but personable and resolved my issue quickly. I am extremely satisfied with her and Legal Zoom and will definitely be referring friends here who are interested in starting a business. I myself was referred here by two friends who have used this service.

LegalZoom response

We love to hear when our customers refer us to their friends and family as we aim to provide top-notch service to all of our customers. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your feedback on Demiayah and we'll be sure to pass it along to her directly. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer and congratulations on making it official!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was referred to Legal Zoom through a colleague of mine years ago when I mentioned off the cuff becoming a licensed business. They told me what appeared to be too good to be true as a person that had never had a business before. The rest is history. From the moment of making that first contact and building rapport with LegalZoom and their affiliates I can confidently say that I have felt little to no stress throughout this process. If you have any questions regarding becoming a business, in the event LegalZoom themselves don't involve, chances are strong they have affiliates they will not hesitate to redirect you to of whose expertise will better serve you. I love that about LegalZoom. If I ever decide to become licensed in the state of California again for my business, I will return to LegalZoom. Thank you all, and I wish the best for those of you seeking a place to become licensed through.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Kim! We're always here to help and we're glad you chose us to be a part of your business journey. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Don was very professional and knew the product well! I was very impressed and felt confident while speaking with him about my account/order status. The help was very much appreciated, thanks a million!!

LegalZoom response

We're so proud of Don for always taking good care of our customers and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Thanks for taking the time to share your review, Robert, and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The lady That called me from LegalZoom, was very informative, amazingly responsive, and above all was super understanding. She answered any question I had and if she did not have the answer, she gave me recourses to find what I was looking for. VERY helpful.

LegalZoom response

We aim to provide positive experiences to all of our customers and we're glad to hear that our support staff was able to deliver for you, Logan. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

Specifically, where the first helper did not have a friendly attitude, we called back and Melissa ** was patient, helpful, not condescending and genuinely listened to our concerns rather than herself and her expertise, like so many other agents in companies. Where all can't be fixed in a phone call, her customer service was appreciated.

LegalZoom response

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review, Cordell. We're glad Melissa was able to provide you with the level of support you deserve and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to her directly. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I attempted to revise my existing will for beneficiaries. I was told by a Legal Zoom associate it was not possible to revise my beneficiaries in the beneficiary section, I had to add comments at the end of my revision and Legal Zoom would place them in the appropriate location. My new beneficiaries are in my interment page. I cannot imagine this is the proper method, regardless it is not acceptable for me to have 2 beneficiaries in the beneficiary section and 2 in the interment section. I have attempted to contact them several times and no response.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I currently started a non-profit business with Legal Zoom, the staff is very helpful, informative on assisting my needs, they make it very easy and reasonable prices. I spoke with Tyanna just for follow up status. She was very helpful. Thank you so much.

LegalZoom response

We're glad Tyanna was able to provide the level of support that you deserve, Patricia, and our support staff will continue to do so anytime assistance is needed in the future. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My customer experience with Dawn ** at OLegal Zoom was "Spot On!" Her expertise coupled with her customer focus allowed her to address my concerns in a timely and concise manner. We discussed my goal at the onset of the session and met that goal and more in a very reasonable amount of time. KUDOS Dawn!

LegalZoom response

Thank you for sharing these kind words, Gilbert! We're proud of Dawn for providing an excellent experience to our customers and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to her directly. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Legalzoom followed up promptly when I went online and began to fill out a form but was called away from my desk, a representative called the very next day and offered to complete the order promptly. We were done in 10 minutes and I got the name Rock Star Remodeling.

LegalZoom response

We're so happy to hear that our support staff was able to assist you along your business journey. Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Kevin, and congratulations on making it official!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Setting up a consultation with a lawyer is very difficult to find once you start exploring the website. I don't know if this is intentional or just lack of knowledge on the part of the website designer. Either way, it is a waste of time for the consumer. If you go to the website to set up a consultation do that first before looking at anything else. Chances of finding it again is slim to none. Another thing that came up when submitting this review is agreeing to the terms of use. It won't let you proceed until you agree but there is no place to agree. Poor website design.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, John. Although we hate to hear of your poor experience, we appreciate your feedback because it gives us an opportunity to make the necessary improvements that will benefit all of our customers.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

It's the ease of navigating through the questions. No pressure. No sales pitch. I was able to legally open my business without anxiety. I gain confident move forward and make my business happen. They answer question to items that I haven't thought of. It's Golden Girl friendly.

LegalZoom response

We're here to help, Kathy, and we're glad you chose us to assist you along your business journey. Congratulations on making it official!

LegalZoom Company Information