2.55/5
  • 1 star
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

LegalZoom

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 21, 2018

65 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I paid LegalZoom to open an LLC with legal representation helping me do this, and I was advised that my two sons can be members in the LLC. Well, they can't... After the documents were submitted to my state, I came to find out that they were Flawed documents and got rejected. I contacted LegalZoom to correct this, and they told me I need to do it myself because they don't do this. I am furious I can't even open a bank account in my company's name but let LegalZoom charged the $899 to my account for Flawed documents could get rejected.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I called in to speak to someone about a trademark after I used them to do my business incorporation. The disgusting way they treat you the minute that your services has been rendered is terrible. I've had 2 guys hang up on me because they weren't attorneys and wanted a sale. Both times they refuse to let me speak to a supervisor and decided it would be best to lose my business and disrespect me at the same time. I would prefer Rocket Lawyer or a real attorney, LegalZoom doesn't have attorneys and you will not be able to speak to one. Get a REAL Lawyer!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I gifted an LLC to my partner and within 2 weeks, received my letter of confirmation. Then 1 week after that, I see a charge for $159 for a service I did not request. I chose the option to NOT use LegalZoom to be my Registering Agent, yet they charged me - a recurring fee! - anyway. I immediately called the same day the charge was shown on my card. After the automatic system hung up on me 3 times, I called and chose to stay on hold to prevent the hang ups. Eventually, I got a human representative and was told that LegalZoom couldn't cancel this charge (that they added to my bill after I paid the initial bill) but would have to go to my state government to change the RA. That's **, so I disputed the charge with my finance company and will be moving away from using LegalZoom for anything else. I will let others know of my experience as well.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I recently used LegalZoom to file my LLC. I specifically denied certain services regarding using LegalZoom as a registered agent and they filed in anyways. I contacted LegalZoom who then told me to just "call the secretary of State" and they can change it over the phone and LegalZoom would refund me the $159 for this issue. This was false information. It will cost me more money to change this info with the state, via mailing a letter. I contacted LegalZoom again and the guy I spoke with literally did not care at all and just rambled off LegalZoom canned customer service statements. Use Rocket Lawyer or someone else, this was a HUGE mistake.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I used LegalZoom to set up my LLC. Once completed, I changed my account settings to not be charged for future and recurring services. Now I am getting threatening emails from collection agencies stating that I owe them every year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I ordered my LLC information and didn't go with the Lawyer options. When I received my information It didn't come with instruction how to fill the application out. I called and was told I didn't order the Lawyer Fee so nobody could help me fill the application out. REALLY??? Very unhappy with them. It seems all they want is your money.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I tried to use Legal Zoom to create a very simple Living Will. Not only was I unimpressed with the actual service offered for the price (very basic web form that didn't allow for any degree of specificity in how assets were to be distributed) but you are automatically enrolled in their "Legal Services" $15/mo subscription for any one-time purchase. This enrollment is deliberately hidden and even was marked as "inactive" on the "My Account" screen on the website and yet I was charged $15 on a recurring basis. The only way to cancel this subscription is to call during business hours and wait for 40+ minutes (!) on hold for a representative. Clever advertising, poor service and deceptive billing/enrollment making it INCREDIBLY difficult to cancel something you never signed up for in the first place - especially if you have a job and don't have an hour to kill on the phone during their limited business hours.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I went through LegalZoom to start an LLC and was charged over $500. They gave me the questionnaire to fill out and kept calling me for more information. After that was scheduled, I had a consultation with 1800 accountants and it was there that they tried to charge me $16000 per year for their services. Umm, what? No thank you. I researched into registered agents some more and realized that going through your state would be much easier to do, and cheaper! Don't use these crooks for anything.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My wife and I filed for a general partnership. With the usual trimmings and expedited order fee which took months to get it done (wasn't really expedited) was over 300 dollars. Everything you need for a business is an extra fee on top of a package. Filing for your EIN-extra fee, Filing for your sales permit-extra fee. LegalZoom is to legal help as Spirit Airlines is to Air travel.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Was told it would take two weeks to set up a corporation. After a month and a half we had to take matters into her own hands. We went to our state’s Prothonotary office and filed the correct paperwork and within the day we were Inc. come to find out LegalZoom cannot incorporate your business without jumping through a lot of hoops that you can just do yourself so it takes for months for what would take you days at a fraction of the price. I highly suggest not to hire this company. Just do a tiny bit of homework and you’ll see how easy it is to do yourself because this company did and will continue to lie to you.

They kept our money and they said they performed what we hired them to do but we did it ourselves. All they did was file one piece of paper with the state for additional $400 that was rejected by the state because they have no legal right to do so in the first place so again they will lie to you - are you doing is paying them for your permission for them to fill out one piece of paper.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I received a notice LegalZoom was going to charge me close to $300 for annual renewal. I did not receive a notice for the prior year and I was charged for a service I did not receive. In addition, I had to call LegalZoom to cancel the subscription service. I then was informed to cancel the service they were going to charge me to update my annual state report. When I told LegalZoom, the state had contacted me directly telling me that if I did not update the report, they would cancel my LLC. I have never received any type of notification for services from LegalZoom. However, after spending an hour on the phone, they did credit me and canceled my subscribed services.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My law partner and I were starting a new law firm and decided to have LegalZoom register our Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) with the Secretary of State and obtain our EIN. We thought it would be quicker and simpler to have LegalZoom perform these tasks instead of doing it ourselves. We needed the documents back from the Secretary of State quickly because without them we could not open a bank account in the name of the partnership. We ordered LegalZoom's Express Gold Limited Liability Package. Our 1-page application was submitted to the Secretary of State on September 15, 2017. When I went to my account on the LegalZoom website to see how things were progressing, it said our order was "Delayed" and held up at the Secretary of State's office. I went to the Secretary of State's website and according to the website, our order should have been in process.

On October 4, I called LegalZoom's customer service to see what the problem was and LegalZoom told me that they would contact the Secretary of State, find out what the delay was, and in the meantime obtain my EIN. They told me I would hear back from them in 48-72 hours and it would take just a day to get me my EIN. I did not get a call back from LegalZoom, nor did I receive an EIN. I called LegalZoom the following week. They expressed concern over these failures. I was told, again, that they would contact the Secretary of State and call me back within 48-72 hours. They also told me they would obtain the EIN. They did obtain the EIN, but never called back with news from the Secretary of State regarding the status of our LLP registration.

In the meantime, my partner called the Secretary of State. He was told that our LLP had been registered, and he was given an entity number. He was also told that the registration documents had been ready for LegalZoom since October 5. I called LegalZoom again. They expressed concern again. They told me they would contact the Secretary of State and contact me within 48-72 hours to let me know the status of the order. They failed to contact me again. And, on and on it went. Finally, my partner and I just paid the Secretary of State to get a copy of our registration since we needed it to open a bank account.

So I currently, have a copy of the LLP registration documents in my hands, and LegalZoom STILL is saying that the processing of my documents is delayed at the Secretary of State. LegalZoom did refund me the Expedite fee, but I have asked them to refund further money since they did not provide the service that I paid for -- I.e., LLP registration documents. They told me they would consider my request for a further refund if I sent them a copy of the LLP registration documents to prove I had actually obtained them myself.

I sent an email asking where I should send the documents. LegalZoom's auto-reply said I would l hear back from a customer service representative in one business day. Surprise, Surprise. It has been two business days and I have not heard back from LegalZoom. They have not delivered the LLP registration papers I paid for and are still saying that processing is being held up by the Secretary of State. They have no explanation for their repeated failure to call me back with status. Really just a horrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I tried to use these folks to create a DBA. Information submission was quick and easy. It was all downhill after that. A couple days later I receive a message that I entered too many characters in my business description. When asking why the system hadn't detected this during the submission process I was told that different states have different limits. You would think that if they know this their developers would write this into the code, which I suggested they do. The CSR then shared that all had been corrected and I would receive a signature email within the next couple days. Couple days later, still not received. Cut to the chase, a process that was slated to take a total of three weeks has been a nightmare and 3 weeks later I have not progressed since my initial call.

No signature page ever received, 4 calls to help desk with same information being shared by each person..."you should receive an email in a couple days." Help desk phone calls not returned, requests to speak with managers not granted, requests to have managers call me got nowhere. Extended on-hold times 15 minutes or more), disconnected calls... Luckily I received a refund while being told they would still do the work. AVOID THIS BUSINESS LIKE THE PLAGUE! Lack of knowledge, follow-up, and efficiency is the worst I have ever dealt with and I don't understand how they are still in business. Hopefully, others will read this before enlisting their support. I wish I would have read other's reviews!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I started this process at the exact same time a friend of mine started his LLC. He went through his accountant and I decided I would save a couple bucks and go through LegalZoom. He had his LLC registered and his EIN # with the IRS by the end of the week. Here I am over a month later and still going back and forth with their help department. I stressed I needed this sooner than later, that has gotten me absolutely nowhere!!! I made a HUGE mistake going through LegalZoom. I'm positive I would have done much better by myself watching self help Youtube videos. Don't use this company. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!! Pay an accountant, do it yourself, any other avenue than LegalZoom. Learn from my mistakes and thank me later.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I formed a corporation through them 4 yrs back and since then they have been charging me yearly fee as a agent, which I never consented. The bad thing is I never caught their auto deduction on my credit card until this year when they charged me $ 500. I called and cancelled. They said they are going to revert the money back in account. But when asked what is this. They said our prices went up. Wait a minute. For what?? In first place they should have not charged me since so many years. I am so pissed. Never do business with crooks like them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Do not use this VERY UNPROFESSIONAL service! Customer service is absolutely awful. I am frustrated after dealing with LegalZoom, and being transferred to 3 different people, inept!!! The law firms seem questionable, their website is exactly the descriptions as the LegalZoom profiles, as if they are only founded for this site. Some of the lawyers are unprofessional, particularly the California firm. Stay away! I would not trust this firm or the advice.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Non-profits, save your money and don't use LegalZoom for your IRS 1023 filing. LegalZoom doesn't save you work... It forces you to duplicate your work. You answer LegalZoom's questionnaire, then Legal Zoom sends you a document with answers to the questions. The software is supposed to put your answers in the correct spot. This does not work well at all. You need to spend a lot of time beefing up answers, copying and pasting answers from one question to another, etc. HUGE WASTE OF TIME. If you want to call LZ, prepare for a LONG wait on hold. LZ adds NO VALUE. There is NO POINT to buying this service. I feel RIPPED OFF.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The LLC formation couldn't have been easier and I was at one time a satisfied customer. The trouble came when I went to register my trademark. I feel like they should have been able to tell me it would be rejected. Otherwise what am I paying $200 for? To fill in the forms? When I got my rejection letter from USPTO, a trademark attorney reviewed my case for free and told me after like 5 minutes I didn't have a chance. I feel like LegalZoom either lacks the expertise or just wants your money.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I went to LegalZoom to get a trust done. Putting your home in the trust is an additional price. It is not uncommon for trust attorneys not to tell you that. Legal Zoom asked me if I wanted to put my home in the trust. They were great to work with. Easy and fast. Whether or not the trust will work, I cannot answer that. I will have my successor trustee let you know.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I liked the fact that it was easy to locate what kind of legal services I was looking for. The website is laid out neatly so you can navigate without much problems. The amount of legal experts they have are so nice. I wanted to set up a will. The process was very easy to use, in fact I had found an expert right in away in less than 25 minutes, and went through all the legal proceedings and he spoke very clearly and was very easy to understand my rights and what all it details to set up a will. However someone I knew had a small issue with the service, the person said they tried to use the chat feature they have on there to speak with someone right away. The complaint was that the person took forever to respond back and even after doing so was very slow and it took too long to get anywhere, but I did not have this problem however.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

LegalZoom has many innovative features that make it easy to use their web services overall. They make users able to accomplish their tasks very easily and simple overall. Their website design could be deeply improved. It's not totally professional enough for this big of a business. They need to hire more experienced web developers to help make their site more attractive. Other than that, everything is clearly labeled where users can find what they need from the site almost immediately in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Good look overall and it's fun because they have a ton of different ways to complete your legal matters at LegalZoom. I learned about it on the Adam Carolla show and on other shows underneath the Carolla Digital platform/blanket. You can get the legal needs you need for a good price. You don't pay by the hour like other high priced legal matters. It is quick and efficient and if you have a legal question they can help you out online and in a hurry if you're in a pinch. It is simple.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

LegalZoom has very extensive offering of services on their website. It was very easy to navigate and things were easy to find when searching. Twenty five minutes and I was all set with everything I needed. Plenty of information on what I was looking for. The contact us page was the only difficult thing for me to find. I also would make live chat easier to find and utilize. Otherwise I can not complain about anything else with my experience. This was one if the best websites I have ever used, and I would recommend it to everybody.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I liked how we were able to incorporate quickly without hassle. They anticipate all the needs that a start-up may have and have services and professionals that can assist you. My opinion is that for a smaller emerging company LegalZoom can handle all your needs. They also made available a rather extensive library of documents that are handy to have in every companies' toolbox. There is not much you can say about them unless you are a larger company and need specialized legal help. For a small or emerging or startup they are really perfect for the job. It's really simple to engage them, their website makes it easy to choose what services and at what level you require. This has really been thought out quite carefully by them and over the years I've watched this concept become a really big deal.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

In order to use this wonderful service all that you have to do is simply go to legalzoom.com. then you create an account by giving them the correct personal information on the registration page. Then you let them know what type of problem that you are on need of assistance with and they will try to help you with that issue as soon and as thoroughly as they possibly can.

I like that they are very helpful when it comes to securing trademarks and also when it comes to securing copyrights. It is also very helpful when it comes to securing things such as patents for inventions as well as patents for ideas that you may have for your future inventions. They are so good at what they do. It is obvious that they are the best choice when it comes to choosing a well respected and well known legal service. They are very professional and they are dedicated to helping their valued clients.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I was able to file out and file for my personal business application with no problem. The search engine was very exact in my selection. It was easy to fill out and save. I like it just the way it is now, this has to be the best online legal service I ever used. It did not take long to do what I wanted to do. I did a search and it came up to exactly what I wanted. I just filled in my information and was able to print and file with no problems. I wouldn't bother to go anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

First I signed up for an account, then I verified my information through my email address. After that I submitted my question and then was directed to the appropriate area of expertise or with lawyers of that same expertise to make sure that my question went to the proper area. When I used LegalZoom, I was happy that I was contacted within twenty-four hours and the cost was minimal. My question was answered to the point and he even elaborated a little bit more and helped me instead of letting me submit another question and have to pay another fee. I wish that they would have someone there to answer questions on the weekends. On a couple of different occasions I have had questions that I needed answered but was only able to ask on a Friday, so I had to wait until Monday to receive an answer. But other than that, they are very prompt, honest and professional. I would recommend using them again in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

It was really awesome, my lawyer was really friendly and professional and very straightforward. It was extremely easy to use and there were no challenges that were presented. I really liked how they handled me and my case, it was exceptionally wonderful. However the customer service could have been a little bit better. I wish that the service could have been cheaper, also! But overall, everything was solid and perfect.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

LegalZoom is fast and affordable. I like that they have professional lawyers and I like that the lawyers are courteous and know their stuff. I also like their fee structure. It's very client friendly. My experience was good and the process is very simple. If you need a lawyer, you go to their website and fill out a brief form, detailing your name, contact info, what services you are in need of, and your representative will contact you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I first researched the different online legal sites through an online search, and I also attended a trade show that showcased many sites. I then read reviews, discussed it with my colleagues and then we came to a joint decision to purchase LegalZoom first. We all agreed that it had all the features and services that we were looking for and the experience and knowledgeable staff we wanted. LegalZoom is a very user friendly site. I feel very comfortable using it and it reassures me and my company. I like that I can access attorneys online to ask questions or over the phone. I also like that it has a law database depending on your industry to look up and refresh on certain laws. Furthermore, I like that they help you with paperwork, wills, and contracts within your company and any pending settlements.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

LegalZoom Company Information

www.legalzoom.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use