1.25/5
Based on 144 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

182 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Purchased basic LLC document, $204, paid with a credit card and received an email indicating a paid in full balance. I then immediately canceled subscription. Two days later they charged my card for $159.00 for a "registered agent". When I called to complain they said they would clear off the "registered agent" for a fee of $300.00!!! The creep on the phone could not have been more rude. Called my credit card company and denied charge and am going to call business regulations in CA.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Aug 13, 2018 -- I don't know what happened to LZ in the past few years-- we have used them on more than 1 occasion with no issues. This time we filed a trademark using their basic services which came with 30 day free trial of their lawyer referral service. We took them up on the offer and spoke with the attorney who advised us to change the wording of our statement and class from 13 to 35-- the info was so broad that the USPTO rejected it. When I called LZ for help I got Max who said he'd find out my options and blind transferred me -- after 22 mins Ray answered. Said he only does the attorney referral scheduling and put me back in the queue -- then go Don who after explaining everything AGAIN transferred me to "trademark team" -- Antonio.

Now up until this guy I was just waiting to get help -- Antonio was rude. He kept talking over me. He said because I didn't have the legal package there was nothing they (LZ) could do. I said we took LZ up on the offer to consult with a lawyer and now that there is an issue with that person's advise LZ wants to wash their hands of it. I asked for his supervisor. He said he isn't in then finally told me the name Andrew **. Antonio said Mr. ** is on business trip; who's taking his calls; he said no one. Asked for ** title -- MANAGER. What company doesn't have it set up for another manager to cover. We spent over $650 to have a lot of headaches. My advice to you if you're reading this: DON'T BOTHER WITH LZ; THEY ARE NOT THE COMPANY THEY USED TO BE. IF YOU'RE GOING TO END UP FIXING IT YOURSELF WHY NOT JUST DO IT ALL YOURSELF.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Rather like the review before me, was paying $165 a year for basic legal filings. I should have done it and not been lazy, but the company was refreshing and a hero for me when it launched - flat price, affordable legal. Wow. 6 years later they have resorted to low life tactics that come from some other desperate industries like the gym industry - they will do anything to make you pay.

I called customer service and said that I received an email that I will be RENEWED at $499. WTF? So I log in and check and see I was billed last year at $499. I DID NOT APPROVE THAT. But, hey, yes I could have missed the email but still, hey $165 to $499? They should have worked a little harder to confirm that before charging me that, but let's move on and at least stop the next one. So, I called customer service somewhat anxious to stop any more charges since I am not working at the moment and what happened next totally shocked me and showed me how much they disrespect their customers.

Luckily, I have a ton of lawyer friends. They told me to calm down and call my bank. I'm upset because a great company is now plain derisable dirt. They also threatened me in a cheap manner. I'm not a happy customer. In the slightest. It's like being mugged (I understand she works in a call center, I get it, I've done that job when I was 18, truly sucks... I'm not mad at her, just the bozo Product Manager who clearly is from a desperate industry). The call was recorded I was told. I hope they do use it for training and quality purposes. I am sure they don't, I speculate that they keep it to have a legal hold over you when it works in their favor. I hope they review that and learn from it and improve. No more dollars or endorsements from me anymore for them. Seriously recommend that customers not buy any recurring services from them until they are sure they won't be ripped off. The CEO is John Shuh, you can find him on LinkedIn.

LegalZoom response

Hi Surjit, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry for any miscommunication on our part & we’d really like to offer a resolution that will regain your satisfaction and keep you a LegalZoom customer. We've responded to your email with more information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I dissolved a company in April 2013. LegalZoom continued to bill me for Registered Agent services for a company that had been dissolved. And then in 2018 increased the fees by 313% - again for a company that had been dissolved.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jon, we're very sorry for any charges received after dissolution. Unfortunately the state doesn't automatically notify us after dissolution has been filed. We are happy to clear up any misunderstanding & resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I used LegalZoom to acquire the paperwork to set up an LLC approximately 6 years back. I very much used an a la carte method JUST to be sent the paperwork, which if memory serves cost around $150 or so, which my father graciously paid for. All information except for the credit card was in my name. Things happen so the LLC was never established, I never filled out the paperwork. I never received a business license. I didn't do anything with it. The "business" does not and never existed. I get a text message from my father today telling me to cancel LegalZoom because he just received a charge for $499!!! I've never heard from LegalZoom sans one phone call last year to talk about my taxes for a company that doesn't exist.

I even searched my email for LegalZoom and nothing came up. No billing, nothing. I never signed up for anything. Now after several years of silence my father has a charge of $500 and he is not happy and I can't explain to him what is happening because I don't know what is happening! I've never received any service other than paperwork. I never signed up for any fancy-schmancy legal representation package. And if I did wouldn't I be getting a monthly or yearly billing instead of an all of a sudden $500 charge? LegalZoom, FIX THIS NOW! He said that he called and you would not talk to him, this charge is bull and you know it.

LegalZoom response

Hi Nikki, when an LLC order is submitted online & paid, work is done to prepare the documents & file them with the state. It sounds like you may have elected for a registered agent service associated with the LLC. If we were not notified of your business changes, you may have continued to receive yearly charges for the subscription fee which was recently increased. We're happy to look into further and assist with a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I've had a LegalZoom account since 2012. They were my resident agent until they raised the charge with no warning. Btw the resident agent is just a shell. If you try to contact or visit there is no response. So they raised the rate. I contacted them. They said I have to change who RA was, so I did and this year they still charged me an even higher charge than the year before. I'm a nonprofit and they sent me questions for my 501c3. I contacted them to tell them that I had reorganized and was going in a different direction with my company. I asked them to send me questions that pertain to my business. They said they would then sent me the same questions. I'm so frustrated with them I haven't applied for 501c3. Shameful.

LegalZoom response

Hi David, we're sorry you haven't had the best experience with your 501c3 process and if you were charged after changing your registered agent. We'd like to research this further and resolve things.Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I used LegalZoom to try to get a lawyer to help me get a parenting plan changed. They assured me their lawyers would help me. They placed me with a lawyer who doesn't practice family law. He wanted me to give him all my info including the parenting plan, which I did. My son's mother has violated the parenting plan many times. It took a couple months of his empty promises to even call her lawyer. Once he did, her lawyer said neither of us were following the times in the plan. He buckled and said ok to her lawyer all. Now he wants me to not argue and do whatever her lawyer says.

He addressed nothing about my son's mother violating the plan. I had a visit with my son today at her house, and she was all over me about him calling her lawyer. The lawyer tipped off my son's mother and her lawyer that I'm seeking counsel, which is not what I wanted to happen until I was ready to go to court. Now with this added on top of things I have to find a new lawyer and this guy has wasted 3-4 months of my time just to get him to call my son's mother's lawyer. All he says is he doesn't want to go to court. He can't do me any good if he isn't willing to go to court.

LegalZoom response

Hi Zach, we're really sorry to hear you're going this and we'd like to learn more about your situation. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I used LegalZoom to create a new c-corporation in June 1018. At the time, I was given a free 30-day trial of the Business Advantage Service. A service I had no interest in paying $39.99 / month for. I canceled this service on July 3, 2018, just prior end of the free trial. I even have an email from LegalZoom from that same day confirming my cancellation of this service, a cancellation which went into effect that same day.

So imagine my unpleasant surprise when I found a credit card charge for $39.99 from July 28, 2018, for the renewal of the Business Advantage Service that I had canceled on July 3rd. Wow. Just wow, LegalZoom. What a shady thing to pull. You had 25 days to ensure that this payment was not processed after my cancellation, which makes me think that the charge was deliberate and perhaps you were hoping I wouldn't notice it.

After reading the multiple complaints about dealing with LegalZoom's customer service (and hearing other horror stories from my spouse about his problems getting overcharged), I have filed a charge dispute directly with my credit card company. I simply lack the time to chase down LegalZoom on a charge they never should have made in the first place, so I'll let the credit card company deal with it.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sarah, we are very sorry you were charged after notifying us of cancellation and we assure you that we have no problem correcting any situation when there has been an error. Please keep in mind that filing a chargeback instead of contacting us to request a refund may result in further collection attempts. We would really like to resolve this instead. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

LegalZoom have been my registered agent for over 5 years. It had cost me $159 a year... Until last year, when they upped their price to $499 and billed my credit card that amount without warning. Disgusting! Be warned!

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry if the notification of the upgrade was not received in a timely fashion & we’d really like to offer a resolution that will regain your satisfaction. Please contact a manager that can help via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am very displeased with my LegalZoom experience. First when my documents were sent to me toward the end of the allotted time it had the wrong information. I notified CS and it was sent back for correction. Waited over a week. Checked on status. Nothing was submitted. New CS rep resubmitted as urgent. Said I would get an email in 48 hours. No email. Called again. CS rep took a while (not his fault) to sort things out then sent my revised documents. 27 pages I was told to print. So here I have them finally... 27 pages with no direction on what to do with them, except have to get a notary and then mail them back. There were about 4 pages with a notary signature space all for different counties than the one I live in. Called CS again. So it turns out I only needed one of the 27 pages and no notary... Does anybody know what they are doing over there?

Also asked a representative if my name was approved so that I can make pay for a logo and she said yes. I made and paid for the logo then received a letter that the documents were finally submitted to the state but that doesn't mean the name was approved... Great! And not even a letter of acknowledgment from the company about any of this. Guess I have no choice but to write complaints and bad reviews. This definitely takes the zoom out of LegalZoom for me. So here I sit going on 2 months no closer to my goal... probably much more delayed than if I had just done the legwork myself. How wonderful it would be to be offered some sort of compensation for such lousy service.

LegalZoom response

Hi Debra, we couldn't be more apologetic that you haven't experienced us at our best. We'd like to change this right away & help you reach your goals. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

We're pleased to confirm the DBA order has been completed & shipped for delivery. Thanks for reaching out and allowing us the opportunity to explain the details of your order & help resolve your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 30, 2018

This is the worst! Stay as far as you can from this company. Worst customer service, they overly charge you, they even charge you when you decide not renewing your subscription over $400! I'm contacting my credit card company and my lawyer.

LegalZoom response

Hi Estelle, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry if the notification of the upgrade was not received in a timely fashion & we’d really like to offer a resolution that will regain your satisfaction. Please contact a manager that can help via help@legalzoom.com

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 27, 2018

This is absolutely the worse company to deal with within the last 1000 years. Customer service is crap. No one has any answers. I don't know why they still have a business. They are just terrible. Stay away from them if you don't want any hassles.

LegalZoom response

Hi Emmanuel, we're happy to provide answers to your questions and we are sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience so far. Contact help@legalzoom.com and we'll make sure your questions are responded to.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Hoping not to get caught while doing a credit card charge, LegalZoom charged my business account without any notification $299, because they claim this is their registered agent fee for state of Colorado. They are such a good registered agent that the business was allowed to go delinquent since 2016 without any notification from them. I had cancelled all services from them two years ago, yet, nobody at LegalZoom alerted me to the fact they would hold on to my credit card to bill this amount whenever they felt like it or that it would even occur. Sounds like theft to me!

LegalZoom response

Hi Stephen, we hate to hear you we're charged for registered agent services if the state has dissolved your business. Unfortunately, they do not automatically notify us of any entity status changes. Any delinquency notices are sent directly to the business contact address or email & not the registered agent. We apologize for any miscommunication & we'd like to resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I created an LLC with LegalZoom back in 2012. Unfortunately, My business filed for bankruptcy in 2014 due to poor location, bad landlord, you name it, it happened. Anyway, after dissolving the business, I had moved on with my life. I received a charge in 2018 for a compliance and registered agent package. This was obviously either a mistake or the state of New York was unaware of by business dissolution. So I went on LegalZoom to try and get this business properly dissolved.

I purchased the standard package. I was immediately notified by LegalZoom that my business was not recognized in the state of New York as of August 2016. My lawyer did a bang up job handling my case, obviously. So I spoke with Denise from LegalZoom, who was very helpful and extremely friendly. We realized that the compliance and registered agent package was a mistake, and I am receiving a full refund for the dissolution package and the compliance registered agent package. This was handled extremely fast and I am happy to say Denise was great! and I would recommend LegalZoom to anyone for anything.

LegalZoom response

Hi Liza, we'd like to apologize again regarding any charges received after your business was officially dissolved with the state. Unfortunately we weren't notified of the status update and we're glad everything has been resolved. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help in the future!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 24, 2018

In November of 2014 I used LegalZoom to create an LLC. As a part of this process, they assign themselves to act as your registered agent. When I signed up, this was a $159 a year expense. Then in 2017 they sent out an email saying they were raising the yearly fee for a registered agent to $299, nearly double what it cost prior. This was too much, in my opinion, for a small business like mine. Furthermore, their registered agent for my account didn't even do anything. As a matter of fact, they didn't notify me of state renewal obligations and my business license in Washington state expired! So you're paying them a yearly fee for them to do nothing and let your licenses expire.

So when I saw they were doubling the registered agent fee, I went to my LegalZoom account and tried to update it so a coworker who is a CPA could be my registered agent, but they don't let you! There is literally nowhere on the site where you can remove or change the registered agent status. I submitted a ticket to customer service explaining I wanted to remove them as my registered agent and update it to someone else and they told me I would need to submit some random certificate to the state to update it, yet not linking anywhere where to get this, or outlining the process at all, essentially giving an impossible scenario to accomplish for someone with little legal experience (aka everyone using LegalZoom since that's why they exist).

I further communicated that I do not wish to pay the $299 fee since that isn't what I agreed to when signing up for the account. I had a feeling they were going to charge me anyway so I updated the payment to a credit card that I had maxed out. Sure enough they tried processing the payment in November of 2017, and continued trying to process that payment for the next 6 months! I couldn't make a payment on that credit card as they would have charged me this service that I had been trying to change, but not allowed to, for months. Seriously, their company practices are horrendous. Avoid using them.

LegalZoom response

Hi James, updating your registered agent information with the state is not an impossible task and we’re happy to help or provide any information. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. Please keep in mind business license notifications are not a part of the service. We’d really like to offer a resolution that will regain your satisfaction. Contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 23, 2018

The short story. On 7/7/18 I wanted to register a Delaware Corp through LegalZoom. First I selected Delaware and 2nd set of questions I was asked if I needed a register agent... why yes, of course. I don’t live there. Fast forward a couple of weeks I get an email telling me my California Corp has been registered. I obviously wanted Delaware since I got and paid for the register agent but they tell me I now have to file a $250 dissolution and re-register. I talked to 3 CSRs that obviously have either 0 power or 0 interest in helping you. I am disputing charges with my bank. Never again. Never again.

LegalZoom response

Hi Monti, sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience and we would like to research the account further. Please contact help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Worst service ever! Customer service never has answers, management is never available when you call to address issues, and deadlines are never met. I started with LegalZoom on May 16th, 2018 for incorporation of a new company I was starting. They said the process would take 3-4 weeks. It is now July 23rd, 2018 (almost 10 weeks later) and I still do not have my product/package from them. Over the past 10 weeks they have contacted me 2 times. Once on (5/21/18) to get my article of incorporation document resigned after they instructed me that I had checked a box on the form I shouldn't have, and another time (6/6/18) to ask me a question about the same document where there was a box that needed to be checked (which it was on the first document). During this 2 week period it appears they made no progress with my order and could barely review the documents to ensure they were correct prior to submission.

During the process one of the times I had called in the middle of June to get a "status check" since their system just provides unmet completion times & ETA's they informed me that there was a delay in processing with my state's Corp Commission but I could upgrade my service package for an additional fee that would speed things up, which I did. That was just some more money wasted.

They seem to be oblivious to the fact that I can see that the AZ Corp Commission has approved my articles of incorporation 2 weeks ago (7/10/18) and my new company shows as "active" but continue to say that they "are waiting" due to a "delay" with the state which is also obviously not true. Now every time I call, there is no manager available to speak to, and they continue to tell me the delay is with the AZ Corp Commission, or now (today) part of the excuse was that they had ordered my EIN, like what have they been doing the last 10 weeks???

LegalZoom response

Hi Frank, we'd really like to review your account & try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager about your concerns directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 23, 2018

I decided to utilize LegalZoom to assist me with my non-profit. I paid for the expedited package back in June 2018. Someone at LegalZoom incorrectly listed a name for a director that I had not provided them with, which caused them to have to submit an amendment package. After numerous calls I was refunded a partial amount for the expedited amount. Three weeks later, the process is still not completed. I check the process online and the updates are slow, which forces me to constantly have to call into LegalZoom.

I am told my documents were submitted to the state, although the status history does not reflect that online. I have no confidence in this company at this point. I sincerely believe I could have done this work myself and had less challenges and spent a lot less money. At this point I guess I continue to wait because I have no choice. I genuinely believe this was a waste of both my time and money. I keep my fingers crossed that at some point my issue is resolved. I won't return to them for future guidance/help.

LegalZoom response

Hi Chantel, we want to assure you that we would very much like to help resolve any of your concerns. Please contact a manager directly with details of your account information via help@legalzoom.com. We will make sure a manager that can help responds.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 21, 2018 I am currently proceeding with a foreign qualification request to do business in California. LegalZoom started the process and provided me with instructions to sign a document and return it to them through the mail; I did this promptly. I have phoned the company at least 6 times with the last person swearing he would fix the bottleneck and hurry the process along. The papers were received by LegalZoom on June 26, 2018. After 6 or more phone calls they are still requesting my signature on completed and received documents which are in their file. I have been told that there is no supervisor for this department so I cannot get help there.
    I am completely frustrated. I paid extra for expedited service. The last person I spoke with told me over and over that he would fix it -- but it has not happened.

I sincerely do not know what to do.

LegalZoom response

Hi Lynne, we're really sorry about your experience and we'd like to try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 20, 2018

An attorney with LegalZoom is listed as a registered agent for service as to a company my client has a problem with. The address for said agent is to LegalZoom in Glendale, CA, however, they will not accept service. So, why even list the address? Why are they hiding? If they represent a company, shouldn't they be honest about where documents can be served so matters can be resolved unless they are trying to give the runaround to us, assuming we'd just give up?

LegalZoom response

Hi Sarah, any address listed with us as the registered agent is able to accept service of process. That's what being a registered agent is for. We received an email from you as well and we've asked for confirmation of the business name & city of formation so we can research the agent information & help. Feel free to respond to the email or reply here with the requested information.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I created my LLC in late 2015 and with the help of LegalZoom they send me my paperwork in the mail. After the winter, I quickly realized that my small business was not sustainable due to the high electrical and water usage. I did not sell one item and decided to resolve my business and contacted LegalZoom that I no longer have a business and they said they would close my account. And yet, they continue to charge me for one more year of $159 fee. Overall, I paid $859 for nothing from LegalZoom. And now they have submitted my name to a collection agency because I failed to paid another $159. This is my personal experience with LegalZoom and is a WARNING for other to stay away from LegalZoom.

LegalZoom response

Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time. I want to resolve this for you & I'm aware you haven't had the best experience thus far. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have & personally confirm any cancellation/refund details. Please contact help@legalzoom.com and a manager will respond to help you fully resolve things.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Was unhappy with cost vrs value and was unhappy. Notified customer service that I no longer interested in doing business with them. Was paying them via corporate card. After this notification LegalZoom sold the subscription renewal fee to a collection agency and I am now forced to pay an unreasonable, unjust debt or face negative impacts to my credit rating. Avoid LegalZoom!

LegalZoom response

Hi Robert, per the resolution we've discussed, we are very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part and we have notified our collections firm of your current status and to discontinue any further collection attempts. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have worked with LegalZoom 59 times. In the past 4 times I have set up an LLC thru them, three times they have caused major problems with no error on my part. They have changed the name on my account 2 times and refused to speak with me. The first time it took them 2 days to fix their own error and then charged twice for it finally refunding the first charge. They would not refund the error on their part until I had paid a second time. No compensation for it at all.

This time they changed the name on my account to the client's name, refuse to talk to be again and demand that the client (non-english speaking) call them to fix the problem. Of course, when you call them they don't answer, promise to call you back and then we receive 5 phone calls with no one on the other end of the line from LegalZoom. All they will tell me is to haul in the client who has nothing to do with this and for him to make this bogus unanswered call that won't be returned.

In the meantime do I get a refund??? LOL, I think you can figure this out. I have had it with the company, tried to work with them through all of their internal mistakes and errors and find we can no longer afford to do anything thru them. If anyone has any suggestion about a competent online service to replace LegalZoom, please let me know.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for your feedback, we're sorry you felt your situation wasn't properly addressed. Please let us know what we can do to improve your experience with LegalZoom. Feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Three months of auto renewal payments on my credit card now, after repeated emails to get them to cancel the account. There is no function on the website for cancelling, or it is so well hidden that I can't find it. But this is deceptive and frustrating. Buyers beware!

LegalZoom response

Hi Victor, we happy to help with any customer request, including cancellations. Please send your request & account information directly to a manager via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We've ordered DBA and after 7 days they even haven't sent us a document to sign. I requested for a refund but they transferred me from one operator to another and finally after my 3rd call said that they can't refund me because of my credit card. However, I've received money 1 hour later from my friend just like a test. They read emails about the refund and don't answer!

Updated on 07/19/2018: LegalZoom says that they are trying to give the refund however bank says that they even haven't received any requests to send money back. I gave them other CC but they ignore it. They offer to send a manual check but it sounds crazy since it's too long to wait, since I'm aboard right now and I don't trust that I'll receive the refund as a check at all since they lie all the time. Be aware! I'm preparing the claim for FTC, my bank, and other bodies. Keep on fighting if you such companies fraud you!

LegalZoom response

Hi Oleg, we've responded to your emails & social media posts concerning your refund request. The refunds we attempted to your credit card have been declined by your financial institution for an unknown reason. We are happy to process your refund in check form instead. Please send us a private message or email help@legalzoom.com & confirm your current address information.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Never respond on time, I didn't receive any response, It is absolutely fraud, never refer to anyone for this, bad customer service, money and time wasting site really bad service. Not going to recommend to anyone, frustrating services and bad quality.

LegalZoom response

Hi Andrew, we're sorry to hear that any request for a response was not received and we'd like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Hello, back in 2015 I paid LegalZoom over $800 to set up my corporation. They did so but every six months or so they would charge my credit card for services not asked for nor rendered. I repeatedly called them, emailed them etc to explain that they did not have permission to charge my cc ever again. I also stated that I had my own CPA that was doing my quarterly taxes, IRS filings, etc. Last year I dismantled the corporation because it never went 'live'. I was just paying the IRS taxes to keep it open, the IRS up'd their fee by 400% last year so my CPA and I decided to close the corporation. Today, I received an email from a attorney stating that I owed LegalZoom $159.00. I am furious; I'm having to contact my CPA to prove the corporation was closed down last year. Do not EVER do business with LegalZoom. You'd be wiser to make a deal with the devil himself.

LegalZoom response

Hi Christopher, it is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. The state doesn't notify us of entity updates but you should have been sent a dissolution certificate after filing for termination. We’d like to review your account details & help resolve things right away. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Started a LLP, but canceled on same day via email after rethinking the process. No reply, second day, no reply, 3rd day, no reply. Called them and spoke to a rep explaining my desire to stop the LLP process. No problem as nothing had been started on their end. Desired to do an LLC, but not sure. Not 3 months later they have my money but won't refund the $900. Emails are ignored.

LegalZoom response

Hi Les, sorry to hear you have had so much trouble trying to cancel your order. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com and we assure you that you won't be ignored.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I signed up for LegalZoom in 2013 and was reasonably happy with their registered agent service. As of July 8th, the rate suddenly went from 129$/month to 499$/month without any letters in the mail. Trawling through my spam box found a message stating that they were automatically 'upgrading' me without opting in. Needless to say I'm reversing the charges and dropping LegalZoom.

LegalZoom response

Hi Matthew, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We’d really like to review your account& try to offer a resolution that will regain your satisfaction and keep you a LegalZoom customer. Please contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I signed up with LegalZoom to create my LLC 5 years ago. The process of setting up the LLC was simple and fast. Since then, through convenience, I continued to use them for registered agent services. Unfortunately, LegalZoom raised their fee for this service on my account last year from $159 to $399, and then to $499 this year (Meanwhile they are advertising online their current fee for this service is still $159). Since I significantly downsized my business early last year, I decided to dissolve my LLC through them, since the overall cost of running my business no longer makes sense for me. Unfortunately this process is taking 6 months at this point and I have to sign up for another year of registered agent fees.

I have since switched that service to another company who only charges $49/year (a huge difference from the $499 they want to charge me). I feel as if LegalZoom is trying to take advantage of their existing business customers by increasing their autorenewal services by hoping they don't notice the email notification regarding the increase in fees and the increased charge on their account. Due to my negative experience with the overcharging of registered agent service and the slow process of dissolving my LLC, I would not recommend this company. In the past, I have contemplated using some of their other services for personal matters, but given this experience, I would rather a more reputable company for those matters or any future business needs I may have.

LegalZoom response

Hi Angela, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry for any miscommunication. We’d really like to review your account to help resolve this and your current dissolution order status. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Not sure about LegalZoom?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Legal Services for you.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

LegalZoom Company Information

www.legalzoom.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business