2. Legal Services

4.5/5 (701 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?
LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.
Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?
If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.
Will LegalZoom hold up in court?
Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.
Why is LegalZoom so expensive?
LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: April 17, 2021

LegalZoom was one of the first web-based type legal sites. My brother-in-law also uses them. I knew he was using them and satisfied with them, so I figured I'd give it a try. What I find is some of these pages and websites get a bit overwhelming trying to figure out the best way to navigate, and what are all the options, especially when you're dealing with something that could be fairly intense, like some legal issue. It's not just LegalZoom, it's a lot of sites, just trying to figure out how to navigate through the site, and get to the right people or the right links. But ultimately, I figure it out.

The whole process was very smooth, with setting up the LLC. And I used LegalZoom as the registered agent. It was very responsive, and accomplished the task quickly. I only used LegalZoom for that LLC, and then I used them for templates to draft either an operating agreement or a contract for doing business. I went in to get a template for a consulting contract and it was nice when I went there to do that. I went through that whole checkout process. And then the email I got was $0 charge. That was nice because they didn’t charge me anything for that. But that was the only thing I wasn't clear on, what was available for free once I got the initial service, like setting up the LLC and having LegalZoom as my registered agent, what perks did I get along with that. It wasn't clear until that all happened, that they weren't going to charge me.

LegalZoom response

We truly believe everyone should have access to professional legal advice, and we’re so glad we could deliver for you, David! Thanks for sharing your feedback here and for choosing LegalZoom.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I'm a sole owner of a business, but I have a partnership that's a 50-50 with another business organization. They were the one that gave me the option for LegalZoom. But I also know of another business owner that has used them before and he expressed a whole lot of positive reviews when it comes to their services. From what I understand, affordability and the services that they offer are kind of the gold standard. It's the first time I've ever gone through the process of getting the LLC. I don't have a whole lot of reference to know how difficult it would normally be or how difficult it would be to go through another agency, process or another state or country but given the way that it went, the process is difficult in general and timely and has a little bit of expense to it. LegalZoom kind of rolled out the red carpet and made it about as easy and painless as that process probably could be.

I've had multiple contacts with the people at LegalZoom helping me through the process. I had questions and I called back, and they were easy to get ahold of. The explanation on what it is, what I need to do and what the next step is was very positive. Anytime I had a question or anytime I had a need to know things, I could just pick up the phone and I would reach somebody at LegalZoom who could explain it to me and then tell me what the next steps are.

What LegalZoom have set up is pretty ideal. I plan on making other changes into the future. I'm waiting to see how this business runs and if it is a successful venture, I have every intention to come back to LegalZoom and do another couple steps with them. Not only was I pleased enough with the process that they produced and the services, but to the degree that I have in mind to use them again for other things that I'd like to do with the business. Adding my wife as an equal partner in it, I know that that was offered, and that is something that they can help me with. When we take that step, that's something that I will definitely be coming back to them for. I'm very pleased with what they offer. They have made it very easy for me to go through the process I went through. So, I would definitely recommend.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I used LegalZoom to get a name change. The state of Tennessee changed my name, so I had to go through LegalZoom. They got all the paperwork for me to get it done. For something technical, I don't know anything about that stuff, but they sent step by step on every little thing I needed to do. If I need a lawyer for anything, they’ll do the heavy lifting. I’m a truck driver. If something happens and I say, “Hey, I need a lawyer to help me deal with this ticket,” they will do the hard part. They would be like, “Where did you get this ticket? Where did you do this?” I will figure it all out. It wouldn’t be like back and forth and me having to do more work. It would be just 170. It's very reasonable.

It’s like having a retainer for anything possible. It’s easier to have that where they could use a bigger net than me. When I first tried to get my name changed, I didn’t know what to do. I was calling a hundred places and got a runaround. But with LegalZoom, they took care of everything. Even when I went to Kentucky to get my name changed, I called them. I said, “I got this form.” They said, “Read the form to me.” “It’s 209.” “Oh, yeah. That’s the right one.” It’s not like every state has the same form. They did it all, and they separated it all, and they explained everything. So, it shocked me that a lot more people don't use them.

I just wish their website was more user-friendly. With stuff that needs upload or use, it was just easier to call some days because it just wouldn't work. Once I needed to change a form to give my original name and then send my new name, it just wouldn't upload. Things couldn't go. I had to call somebody. He was like, “Hold on, I should do it for you.” He walked completely through the whole thing with me and did it. I was like, “Why do you guys even have a website? You send emails that say, ‘Change this part. We need you to check this out.’ And it just didn’t work.”

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

A friend of mine did her own will and talked about doing it. Attorneys around here had gone up so much on their price for something that they just use a template and fill in the blanks for my other legal services and where I was drained of huge amounts of money. It seemed like Legal Zoom would be a good thing to do a standard routine document for less money than paying one of them. It was a long time ago when I did the original will through LegalZoom and my child was still underage. When all these COVID stuff came up, I was scared out of my wits. I'm not young anymore. I needed to update my will and change the executor since I only have this one child that would inherit what I have. My son is now of age and would be the executor of my will and my sole heir. I updated my old will and apparently, more has to be done than when I did the original one.

When I originally did it, I was happy with the language in the will. The original one was straightforward and more like other legal documents that I've done. My other experiences in divorce and real estate were much more straightforward in their language, setting out the terms and I understand they're all using a template and fill in the blank as to specifics. When I updated it this time, it's less straightforward and there are a lot more drawn out legalese stuff that was somewhat confusing in just the first reading. Maybe law has changed in my state to have all this legalese stuff in it. I'm not as comfortable with it. It seems excessive. I'd have to go back and look at the document again. I was just kind of scratching my head when I thought that this is not what my document looked like before. The original will when my kid was still young was where I’d named a guardian in the event of my death. I was satisfied with that experience.

When I could look at my computer, at the changed document, I'm like, “Wow! Something new must have come up.” My printer was broken at the time I made the change and paid the money. I reviewed the document online and downloaded it but I got the packet in the mail. It is still sitting in my big stack of mail that I haven't gone through yet. At the time I received that, I wasn’t dying to go get out in the herd. I've got to assemble a couple of people to witness my signature and go file it. I need to finish the thing and I'm gonna have to get out in public a little bit.

I'm assuming that if I want some explanations of that stuff, when I finally get off my tail and go get this thing filed, that I could call somebody and I could get explanations of some of this stuff. if you're gonna add so much legalese to it, it would be cool if you had a general explanation. So that if I go and look at it again when I'm not so tired and have a million things to do, maybe on second read, it would be better.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

When I worked with LegazZoom for incorporating, it was really easy and fast. With them, you fill some stuff out then you're kind of on your own. But people incorporating really don't know anything and they're obviously starting anew mostly. So, there should be an immediate service to guide people like somebody who would call you right after your account set-up and you have a personal person who would help you. They would ask about your plan and tell you what you need to do such as the fact that you have to pay an annual tax of $800, you have these forms to answer, and you have to have a seller's permit. The service would be free for the first 30 days only and if you wanted to use them you'd be able to always ask them stuff or they would always remind you that you can pay.

They've got to have something like that because at the end of the day, incorporating is the easy part, but there's so much stuff in the background that people don't know unless they research or it comes up. That can get costly for LegalZoom but if they did that, that would be amazing. Thereafter, if somebody wanted to keep that service, maybe they could pay a monthly fee to be able to get phone support and have questions answered. At the same time, having somebody guide you on what you need to know without having to ask the question would also be helpful because some people don't know what they even need to ask to begin with.

Despite that, LegalZoom still offers a lot for the price at the end of the day. The interface isn't that great though and it was not super user-friendly or easy to interpret. It was not bad either but it could be better. When I wanted to log in, it was not really clear about where are the forms you've already filed and where are the future forms. The calendar was a little weird, too. It'd also be nice to be able to have support on the weekends because a lot of businesses are opening on the weekends. I'd love to get questions answered as opposed to waiting a couple of days. But other than that, the hold times have been pretty good and LegalZoom has been great.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rayan. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We appreciate the feedback and we'll work on making this a better experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Inquiring about starting up my LLC. Ran across Legal Zoom. After browsing through the website it was obvious that Legal Zoom was what I was looking for! Great organization and support is priceless!? Worth every penny! The fees are worth the investment so you can use your time to focus on what matters, your business!

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Skip! We really appreciate your feedback and we'll do our best to continue to meet your expectations.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Legal Zoom has helped me over the years in making a will and adjusting the will. Today they helped me find a document I purchased from them in 2005. They weren't sure they still had it but I needed a copy and they were able to produce it. I highly recommend Legal Zoom.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for sharing your review, Nancy. We’re happy we could provide the resources to maintain your estate plan. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: July 18, 2021

Yes I don’t want U.K. but I guess there’s these fraudster here that stolen my trust. Maybe you can help me get them out of here. Back to prison where they belong. They made amendment off my account and trust that I never made. Ricky l ** is the one that did it. I’m mad about it.

LegalZoom response

We hate to hear of the poor experience you've had, Julie. If there's any assistance still needed, please email us at socialmediaoutreach@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected with someone who can help.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Neil was very friendly, Professional, knowledgeable, it was a pleasure doing business with him! Starting your own business is very scary and he was able to make the beginning process of this business a lot more comfortable and understandable to me. Thank you very much Neil!!!

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear that Neil was able to make your experience an enjoyable one, Sean. We'll be sure to pass along the feedback to him directly. Congratulations on making it official and thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: July 17, 2021

Great customer service received when called on information regarding auto-renewal charges on my account. Customer service representative took the time to explain the charges and service provided for those charges. Very satisfied.

LegalZoom response

That's wonderful news to hear, Liliam! We're happy our support staff was able to thoroughly explain the services in your account. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for being a LegalZoom customer.

LegalZoom Company Information