1.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For 20 years, LegalZoom has helped millions of customers get professional help for their individual needs at a reasonable price.

389 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 12, 2019

I looked more on the funding the companies had received and how they were working in the start-up space. LegalZoom seemed to be the best funded based off their ideas, which I thought was important. They have pretty good partnerships with the 1-800Accountant and stuff like that, so it's like a one-stop shop. The customer service is great. You can go online and set an appointment. If there's something that needs to be done, they would send you an email. And if you don't reply to that email or do this, they would give you a call. So, it's kinda nice when you're running your own business to have somebody above you. I did the LLC creation and I used the Business Advantage.

I started my first business in September of 2017 and I've been a customer for almos two years. I would advise anybody that does business with them to go ahead. If you're making the LLC, getting the LLC package, or corporation package, to pay for the most expensive option because then that comes with an organized little binder, which I thought was that was pretty convenient for me. Also, the first time I did it, I didn't know, so I chose the cheapest option and it was everywhere. I definitely would advise to go with the higher-up ones, so you can get that binder and take care of everything. And I really like the compliance calendar because that's always a hassle.

My most recent with them was also creating another LLC. Since it was a little more complicated, they introduced me to a service that you don't really even find online, where they kind of take care of the legal. They have an accountant in-house that helps you as well with everything. However, then they realized, and this went on with the relationship which kinda sucked, they realized that doing investment advisors and the financial planners is a little more complicated than they expected. I appreciated that they were honest with me on the legal side and basically told me , "Hey, we don't have any lawyers that work with us and that are really specialists with that."

So, I appreciated that they were honest with me and basically told me that they didn't have the required education to do what I needed done. Aside from LegalZoom, I had a lawyer that I spoke with, like that one lawyer. But I think that's pretty cool. I think that would be really convenient for a lot of other businesses. Sadly, it just didn't really work out well with mine. But I think with anything else, it would probably work really well.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was looking up some legal information for starting a company a couple of years ago through a search engine, and LegalZoom came up. I started a company, a LLC, with LegalZoom. I have two of them with LegalZoom now. The first time I worked with them was November of 2017. I started was a livestream company, and then the second one that I started here recently was a music label.

I liked LegalZoom's ease of service and payment plan options. They take care of everything for you, so that’s actually what made it more appealing to me. I didn’t have to do any of the legwork. They took care of everything for me from the beginning. I just paid for it straight out, and they took care of everything else. I wanted to get it started early, so I ordered their express package. And within like two weeks, everything was done - business formation and all the paperwork, so it was great.

LegalZoom offers incentives, and they help you with getting company banking stuff, bank accounts and credit cards. So, both times that I started the companies with them, they sent me offers for accounts and credit cards for the company itself. But they also give you instructions on what you’ll need. If you have your own bank, they give you instructions of what you actually need and what to bring with you if you go to your own bank, if you need to apply for accounts for your company. They even offered tax services. So, if you need help with the tax of running your own company, they assist you with that.

Since I travel a lot and I’m always on the go, they have an app that kinda sends me notifications if there's something that I haven't done that I need to do. So, the interaction with them is always good.They’ve been great to work with. They've been great to use. I would definitely recommend them to anybody who's trying to start their own business.

LegalZoom response

Hi Wesley, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote.

Resolution response: March 29, 2019

They acknowledged and agreed to review the process.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I am putting this review to get LegalZoom to change their process to include an additional step for their clients. While all the proper forms were completed as ordered and a timely receipt of the final package was fine. What frustrated me was (1) the many attempts to get through to their support phone line even when I agreed to wait for a call back vs waiting on the line. (2) Once I got through the next morning, I inquired why my LLC did not appear in the FL Sunbiz system which was an embarrassment after trying to set up a business account with this information. I was told that I would need to call the State of Florida to find out why the info was not shown. My expectation was that LZ had vetted to make sure this was visible within the specific State system or they should have added that as an action item for me to do. MAYBE ADD THIS TO THEIR LETTER WHEN RETURNING THE FINAL DOCUMENTS FROM THE STATE.

LegalZoom response

Hi Margaret, your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

About 5 years ago, my wife and I decided to start an LLC with the goal of making mobile games. Seemed like a fun way to pass the time and possibly lucrative, but we knew absolutely nothing about starting a company. If we had, we might not have felt the need to use LegalZoom, but honestly we were the exact demographic they were looking for: we had all the knowledge of the product, and we needed someone else to provide the knowledge and assistance in starting the business.

We formed the LLC through them, which was relatively expensive compared to doing it ourselves but honestly alleviated a lot of the nervousness we had about forgetting something, missing something, etc. The process was easy, the phone calls were simple, and they even sent us this really neat binder full of papers we never used... but it's made out of a cool material and has our company name stamped on it. Oh, and a company stamp too. Again, we never used this stuff and they can probably mass produce hundreds for a few dollars, but you know what? Those are cool little things we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and will make nice collectible memorabilia.

Anyhow, we also signed up for their Registered Agent Service, because we wanted to keep our home address off the company paperwork, as well as did the first annual report through them. That annual report is actually super easy to do on your own, though, so that's entirely up to you. Again: we did it through them for peace of mind.

Now, the service I signed up for DID add a few things I didn't actually want or need as a "recurring" charge, and after Googling the company that scared the crap out of me. I was afraid they had me locked in for years to come, and would charge me to the ends of time. The only way to cancel was through phone, and I was prepared to get trapped on the phone for hours trying to cancel but being given the runaround.

Except... that didn't happen. I was on the phone less than 10 minutes, most of that was waiting queue time, and they cancelled without a fuss and without asking me to reconsider. Just a "Ok, that's cancelled. What about the registered agent service? Keep that? Ok, all done". The dread I had of the deed was actually far far worse than the deed itself. Honestly, I've had a much harder time cancelling our stupid web hosting. (Not going to name and shame here, but I strongly recommend picking your hosts carefully...)

The LLC didn't really work out (day jobs just got in the way of really making a good product), so we voluntarily dissolved it recently. I just got off the call to end the recurring charge for the Registered Agent that was going to trigger in June, and again it was a really clean and simple process. The guy on the phone had me cancelled in a couple minutes, and then said that I'd be refunded the remaining amount that I'd have been charged between now and June; it'll be back on my CC in 3-5 days.

Tl;dr - I felt the need to write this review because I didn't feel like LegalZoom was a 1.1 star experience. They did exactly what I was looking for them to do, charged exactly what they said they would charge, and while they did add on other recurring charges that I wasn't expecting, I was able to cancel those pretty easily. None of their phone people harassed me during the cancellation, and all together the entire experience was pleasant.

LegalZoom response

Hi Chris, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I created an LLC with LegalZoom back in 2012. Unfortunately, My business filed for bankruptcy in 2014 due to poor location, bad landlord, you name it, it happened. Anyway, after dissolving the business, I had moved on with my life. I received a charge in 2018 for a compliance and registered agent package. This was obviously either a mistake or the state of New York was unaware of by business dissolution. So I went on LegalZoom to try and get this business properly dissolved.

I purchased the standard package. I was immediately notified by LegalZoom that my business was not recognized in the state of New York as of August 2016. My lawyer did a bang up job handling my case, obviously. So I spoke with Denise from LegalZoom, who was very helpful and extremely friendly. We realized that the compliance and registered agent package was a mistake, and I am receiving a full refund for the dissolution package and the compliance registered agent package. This was handled extremely fast and I am happy to say Denise was great! and I would recommend LegalZoom to anyone for anything.

LegalZoom response

Hi Liza, we'd like to apologize again regarding any charges received after your business was officially dissolved with the state. Unfortunately we weren't notified of the status update and we're glad everything has been resolved. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I've been with LegalZoom for 8 years and my experience with them has been absolutely great. I used to them to get an LLC set up. They had it all integrated. They made it simple with the technology that they are using. Using LegalZoom was easier than the other providers out there. The benefits of using them are: being able to see where all my documents were on the process, the ease of use, and it was all online. Contacting them is pretty easy too.

LegalZoom response

Hi Eric, we put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I have just filed my small business with LegalZoom, and within a week or two I get my packet only to determine that the address details were all mixed up between myself as the secretary and my partner as the president. After I realized they mixed up the addresses, I called to resolve and at that point learned that this filing would require a $800 fee (at minimum) per year, paid to the state of CA. Because LZ portrays themselves as a one-stop-shop for incorporation filing for the layman, I would have expected them to disclose this information.

While I do realize that they are a third party, as it relates to filing with the state franchise tax board, they do bear some responsibility to disclose or outline these additional costs to their customers. Some companies are small, and this cost if outlined at the moment the purchase was made, would have prevented me from placing this order. The rep on the phone told me that "most people know this". That was a hurtful assumption on her part. I am now out $400+ dollars for the filing fee, and an additional $150 for the dissolution fee. NO concessions were made, no refunds or fee waiving offered. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I paid LegalZoom $780 to prepare a trademark application for the name of my company. They never mentioned what I later learned, and what any trademark attorney knows, that my company name is what the USPTO considers "Descriptive", and descriptive names are never given a trademark. Had they told me, there were other avenues I could have taken. But their preference was to keep me ignorant and take to money.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Was using LegalZoom since 2012 as my registered agent. For $159 a year. In 2017, that annual fee jumped to $499!! Out of nowhere with no notice to me. They auto bill so it flies under the radar. When I called customer service they could not help me and only tried to sell me on a 3 year promotion, 3 years for $300 something dollars. WTF!? What about the past two years I've paid at $499. Shame on me for not realizing it but still. I lost $700 to them. I've cancelled the service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I used LegalZoom to file a Trademark/Logo. After I paid all of their fees they added a "30 day trial membership to their business advisory plan." I never signed up for this and they have been charging my credit card $39.99/month for the past 5 months. I never signed up for this service and never used it. I had no knowledge of this until I noticed the charges on my credit card. They refused to refund my money and if you look at other reviews here you will see that this is their M.O.

When you call for assistance the usual wait is 45 minutes! This is the worst company. They are a rip off!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I am extremely disturbed regarding my most recent business dealings with LegalZoom on June 6, 2019. I am even more disgusted that I am just getting a notice a week later saying that I am getting my refund. I was charged for a transaction that I "NEVER" approved in the amount of $299.99. I was charged twice "knowingly" and not notified that I was charged twice for the resident agent service which should have only cost $159.99, but instead I was charged $159.99 plus $299.99 for reasons I'm still not sure of. I was not told that I was charged the $299.99 and then the representative charged me again for the $159.99. On top of all that I will not have my money back for possibly another week or two.

I was only notified that the $299.99 was taken and refunded only after I contacted the subscription dept and they told me that it showed a refund in their system. Koushar, the apparent Supervisor over subscription, refused to allow me to speak with anyone higher who could resolve this issue faster. He also said that there was no one higher than him to deal with this. They told me that I would have to go to my bank to request my money back sooner even though LegalZoom took the money from my account without authorization. They also nonchalantly expressed that they fixed the issue and that I just had to wait 5-10 business days to get my money back. It's been almost a week now and I still have not received my $299.99 back, and according to their most recent email it could be another 7 business days from now. No one seems to want to go the extra mile to even try and fix their mistake. Extremely Disappointed.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I applied for a trademark through LegalZoom. I got confirmation from LegalZoom that the application had been successfully been submitted to the USPTO + what to expect. That same day, I got a letter from USPTO directly that my application was incomplete and missing information. I've been trying to contact LegalZoom for over a week now to confirm that they will fix my application so it doesn't get delayed, but no one has answered my emails and I cannot get through to them on the phone. Really frustrating! It's like once you pay them, they no longer care about you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

We were renting a building and my uncle told me about LegalZoom, which I used to put together a lease. I did everything on the website and it was super self-explanatory and easy to use.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have been sending emails about cancelling my services with Legalzoom. Emails are dated over a year ago. I specifically stated in my emails to cancel my services with Legalzoom as the business is no longer running. I have call and sent emails. A year later I am now receiving a collections bill for the Registered Agent. Which I told them I wanted to cancel due to the business being gone. They confirmed today that they have received my request but did not process my request as I need to contact the Secretary of State and have it changed first.

Ruth ** from Legalzoom told me that if I were to have the registered agent changed then they would dissolve the collections billing and cancel my services. I contacted the Secretary of State today and they were confused why I am changing the Registered Agent for a business that is no longer in business. Legalzoom has put me in a bad situation where I have to pay the State to have a RA changed for a closed business to stop billing from Legalzoom. I hope that anyone reading this is thinking about using someone else for their legal services.

I have been going back and forth with Legalzoom for over a year which takes away from my quality of life. Just to cancel my services. LegalZoom's website also states that in order to cancel services, call or email. Which I have done both. They still have not fulfilled my request and never told they were not going to fulfill my request. I paid no attention to this matter for a year because I thought it was taken care of. Apparently not, because Legalzoom will not cancel your services. Even if you want to.

LegalZoom response

Hi Robert, we’re very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. We were also able to confirm your entity status with the state and as a result, we’ll move forward with resolving this right away. Please keep in mind that if you ever decide to reinstate your business, you'll need to name a new registered agent. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact a manager directly.

Original review: June 10, 2019

LegalZoom has me on hold for 1 hour now - beautiful music playing. The recording at beginning said wait was 10 minutes. I'm getting very hungry. They are trying to charge me for registered agent service for 04-28-18. We filed the statement of information on 4-30-18 saying that they were no longer registered agent. They keep trying to bill us for $249 for a year of service. Is 2 days such a big deal, when they didn't do anything during that 2 days? I've referred many businesses to LegalZoom to help them with formation of their corporate status. Now I will need to look for another company to help them. I'm very disappointed. They should talk with me and resolve this and not charge me the $249 for 4/30/18 for 365 days of service.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've known LegalZoom for quite some time now and I've used them for things like business creation (i.e., filing with the state). It's easy and I don't need to worry too much about legal matters. I can focus on many other things than just doing the paperwork. Also, I have called customer support several times and they were perfect. Right now, I'm consulting on tax matters and I'm looking at attorney appointments on their website. Overall, LegalZoom saves time and the work is almost perfect.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rishabh, thank you so much for this great 5-star review. We really appreciate you being a loyal customer and helping to share the word about us. We’re here for you anytime.

Original review: June 8, 2019

LegalZoom did our will and trust. And then I opened up a new DBA and then we did the transfer of deeds. Everything is good with LegalZoom until they start charging me with 39.99 after. I didn't do a monthly, I paid it full and then I saw my credit card bill. I don't know what that's for. I did not sign up for anything. When I the DBA and then the transfer of deeds I paid it in full amount. I did not do an installment. But after a month they started charging me 39.99. I called my credit card and did a dispute.

I did the transfer of deed, what legal advice do I need? My deed is already transferred, I don't need legal advice. I just need to transfer my deed. What legal advice do I need? But I'm pretty sure they're trying to put me, enroll to another free legal advice, because what was that 39.99 for? Everything is good except they're kinda sneaky.

I tried to call yesterday, but they're trying to transfer me to another department, and I got on hold and got lost. After any service I do, they will charge more. It took me six months before I found out that they keep charging me for 29.99, for what? But LegalZoom is cheaper than the lawyers. Lawyers charge more. And LegalZoom does follow-up. It's very easy. I sign what I have to sign and mail it back. It's convenient. The price is cheap and it's the same result. We saved money. We opened our business after they helped us open an LLC and a DBA.

Original review: June 7, 2019

LegalZoom put itself as a registered agent and is now charging $400 per year when I could've just put myself as the registered agent. This is a deceptive business practice and I will never be using LegalZoom again.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I dissolved my company over 2 years ago and wrote multiple letters, as well as multiple phone calls and they are always unable to cancel my account for different excuses each time. I have never spoke with someone of a professional standard there and have only witnessed complete incompetency throughout the time I have dealt with them. I am still dealing with this and now have to get legal involved... With so many other better options out there, everyone should stay away from this company.

LegalZoom response

Hi Michael, we're very sorry to hear you're receiving charges after dissolution. Unfortunately the state doesn't automatically notify us after an entity status has been changed. We'd like to try and make this a better experience to resolve things. We will request a manager to follow up with you directly but please feel free to also contact us via email.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We were looking for a fairly quick, low-cost solution to some basic state planning issues, and a financial adviser that I was speaking to recently suggested doing some documents on LegalZoom. I've been online and I did the basic questionnaire. It's been good so far.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My accountant suggested I use LegalZoom to form an LLC that I was needing. LegalZoom did an LLC for me, and it seemed like it was going fine until I went to try to get insurance. They told me that they couldn't prove I owned the LLC because they listed some guy in Charlotte. I couldn't get anything done. I couldn't get my license tag. I couldn't get my tag at the tag office for the same reason. So, I had to drive 150 miles to Raleigh, North Carolina. It was three hours from where I live to Raleigh in order to file a $150 change of ownership which listed me as owner. So, it ended up costing me twice as much. I should’ve used a real lawyer.

On the formation of an LLC, LegalZoom should automatically list the owner as the owner on the LLC when they file it with whatever state they’re filing with. It didn't make any sense. Doing the way they did it cost me so much extra work, extra money, and extra time. I lost some wages because of it. I lost time. I had to wait to go to work because I had to get it all straightened out. And actually, I had to hire a lawyer to help me, but in the long run, it really cost me. The lawyer was a friend of the family and he didn't charge me anything. But as I was in charge of the LLC, it would've cost me three times the amount that I paid LegalZoom to straighten it out.

Some of what they had was fine, but the way it’s organized, as a big company, they should know better than to list someone else. Some people might want that, but if they wanted a fictitious contact listed, they would be requesting that. Automatically, they should list the founder of the LLC as the owner so that in all documents the founder is listed as the owner. And the only reason they would list somebody else as a contact would be if that person just wanted it so that the money wouldn’t be bothering him. Had I wanted to remain anonymous, that would've been great. But to start off remaining anonymous and not being able to use the LLC, the LLC completely useless. So, I drove to Raleigh and filed the extra forms which I had to get a lawyer to help me with.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I went to LegalZoom to register my LLC without researching nearly as much as I should have about them and have gotten virtually no benefit and have spent nearly 1000 dollars for absolutely nothing. I've tried getting refunds for my money and I never receive a response - and when I want to cancel my subscription they tell me I have to go through a list of tasks before I can be considered for taking my financial information off of their account. I have to pay more money to dissolve my business and not be associated with LegalZoom after paying so much for virtually nothing - I do not recommend their services to my worst enemies. Find a local business aid agency and they will be able to do most of what LegalZoom does but efficiently and for free.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I signed up with Legal Zoom to set up paperwork for my LLC in 2016. I canceled when it was time to renew in 2017. They now sent a collections notice for services they never provided TWO YEARS LATER!! I told them I didn't want them to be my registered agent with the State but apparently they didn't feel the need resign as the registered agent, or tell me that they would be CHARGING for services NOT PROVIDED. I canceled their service! They have not communicated with me for TWO YEARS at all and now they want me to pay $250.00 for services I CANCELED! SCAM ALERT!!! Plus they sent it to collections!! They operate like this so they can scam customers into getting hit with charges they never agreed to. I'll be calling the Secretary of State to let them know about this scam as well.

LegalZoom response

Hi Melissa, it's important to us to correct the situation when there has been any misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product. In reviewing your account, we had no previous record of your cancellation attempts. According to the state, your entity is active but a new agent was updated 6/6/19. As a result, we've cancelled your LegalZoom subscription and will discontinue any further collection attempts.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I use LegalZoom to start my nonprofit corporation and it turned into a nightmare. LegalZoom charged my debit card without my permission and didn’t tell me everything on my account that I needed to know. I want my money back on my account $362.00 and $159.00. LegalZoom is a big fraud and I’m so dissatisfied with their company. I reported it to my bank. How can I get help with this matter with LegalZoom.

Original review: June 6, 2019

LegalZoom registered agent renewal is not required in PA although they say that it is. Last year I turned this over to my attorneys Welch, Gold, Siegel in Pittsburgh. They research this information and said that I am not required to have a registered agent in the state of Pennsylvania, although every year they keep trying to charge my outdated credit card then once the card does not go through they send it to a collection agency trying to ruin my credit and my company's name. This is the third year they have tried to do this. This is fraudulent to deceive people who did not renew for something that is not required. My request is that I would like to be deleted completely from LegalZoom records, have no part of LegalZoom. I am re-contacting my attorneys attorney again. I feel like this is a form of harassment at this point. My suggestion to anyone thinking about using LegalZoom should look the other way.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jack, although having LegalZoom serve as your agent is optional, having a named registered agent is required for your state. We are very sorry for any miscommunication on our part and we will review your account in effort to make things right.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Year after year I've used them for RA for $159/year for 2 companies. Everything was fine until this year when I got charged for $399.00. I called and they can't find see that the charge went through to my bank, although I can see it online. Evidently they decided it was in my best interest to add another service called Legal Forms for an additional $100. Also, the RA service increased from $159 to $299. They said an email was sent explaining all of this, and I should have opted out of the Legal Forms if I didn't want it. I don't even know what Legal Forms service is?

LegalZoom response

Hi Tim, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry if the notification of the upgrade was not received in a timely fashion. We’d really like to try and regain your satisfaction and keep you as our customer. Please contact a manager directly via email.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I got an adult name change through Legal Zoom. Everything was sealed and delivered. But when I needed some information, they were very cordial and understanding. Any questions I had were answered. I recommend Legal Zoom.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for the recommendation and review, Maurice. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 5, 2019

Applied for LLC through LegalZoom. Actually spoke to someone on the phone after completing online application as was concerned about the spelling of my name. People often spell my last name wrong. Well, after paying for the service I provided I get the documents with my middle name spelled wrong. Tersa, Who is named Tersa?! I spelled out Teresa twice to the woman on the phone.

After calling LegalZoom regarding this they inform me they can only change some of the documents as the IRS will not speak to a third party. Understandable, but I paid for the convenience of not having to go through all that. Now I have to call the IRS. I'm expecting it not to be an easy fix in that I will be transferred from person to person. Would not recommend using LegalZoom as you may not get what you paid for. I didn't and I got and "I'm sorry" and "we can't."

LegalZoom response

Hi Doreen, it's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. In reviewing your account, we’ve confirmed that although an agent did contact you by phone to provide expectations on your next steps, your questionnaire information was submitted online so the filing was submitted to the state & the IRS under your specific direction. As a courtesy, we’ve revised the documents created to reflect your correct name spelling as an additional effort to regain some of your satisfaction, we’ve also issued a refund 50% of your fees paid. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact a manager directly.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Great help setting up my LLC and was very happy with them, but then my company dissolved in 2017 and I cancelled my annual membership online with LegalZoom after speaking with a representative and now today I received a letter stating, I was sent to collections for $159 and a if I don't respond, I will have a judgment against me. Great Business Ethics this company has and I would never recommend them after this.

LegalZoom response

Hi Tracy, we're sorry about your experience and any misunderstanding on our part. We will thoroughly review your account details and follow up with you directly with a resolution.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Dealing with LegalZoom has been a colossally frustrating situation. I have been trying to get them to stop charging us $14.99 a month for years for services we do not want or need. Each time I've tried to cancel I've had a difficult time and then forgot about it and gave up. Stupid, I know, but it just wasn't worth my time and trouble until I finally had had it!

They did a will for my husband years ago and somehow we got hooked into the Legal Advantage Plus which is what the monthly charge is for. When I tried to cancel the charge I was told that my husband had to call and cancel. Since he is rarely around during the day to call them, we inadvertently put it off. Recently when I sent them an email asking to cancel the services they sent me this email back:

"We wanted you to know that we have received your Legal Advantage Plus cancellation request; however, we cannot accept cancellation requests through email. Please call the Customer Care Team directly with your request at our toll-free number: 800.773.0888. Our Customer Care Team is available Mon-Fri 5am to 7pm PST; Saturday 7am to 4pm PST." Really, they can't accept a cancellation by email and then they make it nearly impossible to reach them by phone!! (There are no prompts for customer service or for canceling a service)

Finally, after going back to my American Express bill and getting a DIFFERENT phone number, (not the one listed in their email) we were able to speak to a person on the line after 19 minutes of holding. It would have been easy for them to be a little more helpful when a client wants to cancel a recurring monthly charge; every other recurring subscription I've dealt with has a cancel option on their website! I do not recommend them. Anyone who commits you to a continuous monthly fee and makes it so difficult to cancel doesn't deserve your business!! I will never use them again. I could have paid for a private attorney for what they charged me over the years and received better service!

LegalZoom response

Hi Louise, we're sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you no longer want. The service is a legal plan that entitles you to receive unlimited attorney consultations on any new legal matter along with additional benefits such as unlimited revisions of your estate plan documents. We’d like to resolve things, please reply with details of your account or contact a manager directly via email.

LegalZoom expert review by Michael Nranian

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of Michael Nranian
Michael Nranian Invention and Patent Services Expert

Michael Nranian, a licensed patent attorney, has over 30 years of experience in product development, intellectual property, patent litigation, legal and technical compliance, and product liability litigation.

LegalZoom Company Information