4.7/5 (557 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?

LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.

Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?

If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.

Will LegalZoom hold up in court?

Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.

Why is LegalZoom so expensive?

LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Legal Zoom did a great job setting up our LLC. This was the first time I’ve ever done something like that myself, and they were great at directing me precisely through the steps involved, and subsequent maintenance tasks. Highly recommended! I do want to state, however, that I was very unhappy with another firm with which Legal Zoom has a relationship, accounting firm 1800 Accounting. They found out about us through LegalZoom, I was hard sold on the promise that 1800 accounting would help with the PPP, and the experience was really bad.

One) they were unable to get us a PPP at all the first year, even though we absolutely did qualify. Two) our prior tax accountant, who we love, cost approximately 1/4 the price of 1800. Three) while the first advisor assigned to us by 1800 was really great, her hands were tied and she couldn’t help us in the way that was promised. She subsequently quit and the advisor that they gave us to replace her after that was just horrible, I was treated badly and with disrespect, he made comments to the effect that he had too many clients and was too busy to really help me.

LegalZoom response

Every piece of feedback is important to us, Tom, and we're glad you took the time to share yours. Congratulations on making it official! If there's any other assistance needed, please email us at taxcallbackrequest@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected to someone who can help.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Working with Rob was great. I have been looking forward to starting my own business for some time. However, was not looking forward to the startup process, feeling it would be a hassle. I have a management degree in paralegal studies so I had gathered some of the needed documents to form an LLC and was about to get started but still was not excited about it. I was also a bit pressed for time so I decided to see what Legal Zoom had to offer.

The pricing seemed reasonable considering the amount of work I knew I had ahead of me doing it on my own. I began talking to Rob. I was very impressed with Rob's knowledge of Legal Zoom's products and services as well as his professionalism and patience. Working with Rob, we were able to quickly step through the process of forming a new LLC, along with establishing a registered agent for the new business. Along the way, Rob was able to answer literally every question asked by a paralegal starting a consulting/management firm.

My particular business model will require the intensive use of legal forms and documents. I was not really thrilled about this aspect of my business plan even with the training and knowledge needed to navigate and utilized required legal documents. However, with Legal Zoom I now have easy access to most all of to legal forms I will need as well as a full array of legal support services. I am so excited to move forward with my new business now and can't believe I have been putting this off. It was so easy. I look forward to partnering with Legal Zoom moving forward. Thank you so much.

Sean **,

Uriah Enterprises LLC

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Sean! We are huge fans of Rob too and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Congratulations on making it official and thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I needed to obtain a last minute Operating Agreement for my LLC in order to close a loan. I used LegalZoom and set up an expedited order. However, I found out that I would need the document even sooner than what the expedited order would allow. I called and spoke with Jamison LegalZoom and explained the issue, hoping I could just cancel my order for a full refund (as I had found a local attorney who could help). Although Jamison was unable to cancel my order due to the fact it was already almost completed, he was able to come up with an alternate resolution instead. He put an additional rush on my order and obtained approval for him to send me electronic copies of the finalized document once it was complete. Although the hard copies won't be to me in time, the bank will accept the electronic version and I can close the loan, as needed. Thank you again!

LegalZoom response

That’s awesome news, Michael! We're so glad Jamison was able to deliver for you so we didn't prevent your loan from closing. We'll be sure to pass along this feedback to him directly to acknowledge a job well done. Thanks for taking the time to share your review and thanks for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: July 7, 2021

My main contact for account was Aveline, she was very detailed in going through each step of the process for helping me walk through any questions, and additional details in regards to my filing. Every step in the process she she informed me of other services provided by LegalZoom. But this information Felt very genuine to what my business needed for filing and future reference. She did not go out of her way just to sell me on additional services, but rather listened to my needs, and inquiries and provided solutions for my business.

I received a natural and informative service, with intuition and anticipation of needs. She asked questions that were on my check list of things to do, I am certain even a person less informed than I on the process of incorporating would feel at ease with the information and knowledge provided during follow up on account. I encourage anyone do not be intimidated by the price of processing through LegalZoom, you get exceptional service that meets the price point.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Adam! We really appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along to Aveline directly.

Original review: July 2, 2021

They did everything they said they were going to do so far. The majority of the people I interacted with were extremely courteous and professional. Guy Jen that I spoke with today was particularly impressionable. He had a very nice sense of humor which can make your day if you’re having a stressful one. I’ve chose the full service package. They did everything including having them call you to set up your bank account. They send you a company. It’s a separate charge to do the publishing of your company which can be tedious. I did it myself with a previous company so it was a one stop shop.

They actually have a payment plan that they can take your payment in three parts. They have a $39.99 legal support that you can use monthly. I have not needed to use mine yet but Better safe than sorry. Their price is really good. I am very happy. Nothing is perfect but they were pretty close to perfect in this instance again. This is for right now. I still have a relationship with them for that legal thing that you paid 3999 for every month. Hopefully they will remain to be as reliable as they have been so far.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Victoria. We’re happy we've met your expectations thus far, and we’ll do our best to continue to do so. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: June 18, 2022

I made an error when filling out my order. I called the next morning and they were able to correct it. Kurt was professional and knowledgeable. He even checked back in with me periodically while he was resolving my issue, letting me know how the process was going, not just leaving me on hold. I really appreciated that!

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear that Kurt was able to provide a positive experience for you, Judith. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: June 17, 2022

I opened a new LLC and they did everything that was required by my State to make sure that it was done timely and properly. Very nice to work with and extremely thorough. I will use them again. Great.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for choosing us for your business needs, Debra. Congratulations on making it official!

Original review: June 17, 2022

Every agent I spoke to was extremely courteous and knowledgeable. They provided the best customer satisfaction and I highly recommend this service. I got off each phone call feeling secure knowing I was provided the honest truth and information. I’m work as a Business Development Manager and am really big on customer satisfaction. I highly recommend Legal Zoom!

LegalZoom response

We aim to provide positive experiences to all of our customers so we're glad to hear that we've been able to deliver for you, Kelvin. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: June 16, 2022

Unable to reset my password I got Michelle in customer service. These days it is rare to get a human at most businesses so her pleasant, professional demeanor and communication skill was welcome. She handled my problem with efficiency, courtesy and the bonus of a pleasant attitude and voice. Customer service departments that rely on robots and overseas agents who are difficult to understand please take heed. Legalzoom, please raise Michelle's salary. She deserves it and will keep me returning.

LegalZoom response

We're glad to hear that Michelle was able to take care of you with such care, Dennis. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: June 15, 2022

Jon, is a very knowledgeable customer service support person at LegalZoom. We very much lucked out by getting him to help us with our matter. You can always tell when someone really knows their business as they are thorough and very programmatic without a bunch of guessing. Jon Is spot on and is absolutely in the game as far as knowing how the process works and how to guide a customer, such as myself through this arduous process. I thank God that John was there and LegalZoom could help us with this business document registration form process. Very helpful and thank you very much.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, William! We really appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along to Jon directly to acknowledge a job well done. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

LegalZoom Company Information