1.15/5

Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

232 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

LegalZoom charged my account $399 for ONE YEAR of registered agent services. No prior notification. No authorization. The average fee for registered agent services in my state is $48. This company is a ripoff. Run from them like the plague that they are, they can and will take advantage of you. They lure you in with a teaser rate, then slam you with no notification.

LegalZoom response

Hi Nathan, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry the notification of the upgrade was not received in a timely fashion & we’d really like to offer a resolution and keep you as a LegalZoom customer. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

This pathetic excuse for a law "company" can't even provide a simple Will I paid for. It was due Dec. 2-5. Never arrived. I have called 5x and each time I was told it would arrive that day. Finally, the last operator said they screwed up and have to start all over again. Pathetic!!!

LegalZoom response

Hi Richard, we could not be more apologetic about your experience and we want to make it right as soon as possible. Please contact a manager directly with your order information and we'll make sure this is resolved right away.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We bought a trust bundle. When the documents were produced it turned out they have a bug in their system that produced an invalid pour over will. They acknowledged the issue and offered to provide a Word document version so I can edit it myself. Had I not caught it I would have ended up with a will that missed special guardian instructions for one the parents. Yikes. Then they refused to refund me.

LegalZoom response

Hi Miki, although we are not aware of any known issue with the pour-over will section of the Living Trust documents, we have communicated a resolution with you directly in effort to try to regain some of your satisfaction. If you'd still like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Updated on 12/13/2018: I filed a complaint with the company and was subsequently advised that they had destroyed my original documents. Thereafter, no response was forthcoming by LegalZoom. The response I did receive was an AUTOMATED letter advising me to contact their office through "help". Obviously they do not care about customer service or personal contact. STAY AWAY.

Original Review: I retained LegalZoom to prepare and file a DBA for me. They delayed it and did not communicate with me. Thereafter I cancelled my order. I requested that original documents be returned. I was just informed (after ten day) that the documents were not available. These people are predatory frauds and at the very least INCOMPETENT.

LegalZoom response

Hi Ben, we are very sorry for any delay or miscommunication on our part and happy to review the account to determine how we can resolve things. Please feel free to contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had to call them at least 25 times about a simple issue that should be easy to fix. I tried to submit the doc and told them too and 3 weeks later they called and asked if I wanted it submitted after I clearly told them to submit it almost a month prior. DON'T USE LEGALZOOM!!!

LegalZoom response

Hi Daniel, we apologize for the poor experience you’ve had with our organization. It is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction and it seems we’ve missed that goal in your situation. We want to resolve things and change this around for the better. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I formed a business in 2013. The initial fees were high, but LegalZoom made it easy to get started. The problem came after the sale. They have continued to charge me for services almost 3 years after the business was dissolved. I have tried to reset the password on my account many times, but have never received an email to reset the password (Yes, I checked Junk and Spam). When I did get a representative on the phone, I was offered another package to file the paperwork to dissolve my business and was informed that the fees for Registered Agent will not stop until the business is dissolved or I change the registered agent. The business was dissolved on 2-17-2016.

LegalZoom response

Hi Gilbert, it's been a pleasure working with you and as discussed the state does not automatically notify us of any entity changes so we rely on our customers to inform us when subscription cancellation is needed. As promised, your subscription has been cancelled in full. If you have any additional customer or concerns, feel free to continue to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

WE have been in touch with LegalZoom for several months now via phone and email, completely unable to access our account and have now been completely ignored for months now. All we have needed is a simple password reset - yet we have ping-ponged from one rep to another, each saying they put in a ticket to the tech department to try to figure out the issue. We have yet to hear back from them at all with any updates.

LegalZoom response

Hi Marilyn, we're very sorry you had trouble logging into your account and we'd very much like to help resolve things asap. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I got LegalZoom to open LLC with impression that this will be cheap. But they are very painful in regard to yearly large fees and automatic billing for the services I do not need them and did not ask them. I strongly recommend for everybody not to use their services.

LegalZoom response

Hi Naeem, we assure you that we do not charge for services not elected during purchase and all fees are outlined in our questionnaires. We are happy to review your account & help correct any concerns.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I ordered an estate plan bundle in 2015. The product itself was great. No issues. One year later I get billed $119 for annual fee for Legal Advantage Plus program. I never signed up for this and no clue about it. I tried to get a refund but they said they can cancel it going forward but too late for refund. In 2017, I need to change my estate plan so I used bought another estate plan bundle. Again the product was great, no issues. But now I just got billed another $119 for annual fee for Legal Advantage Plus Program. And no refund. I canceled online and they even have a reason code in the drop down selection called "I didn't realize I was a Member". How blatant can you be that you are scamming people by signing them up for this program without their knowledge and billing them 1 year later. It utterly ridiculous and a complete scam.

LegalZoom response

Hi Chris, it was a pleasure working with you to get your concerns resolved. Thanks so much for allowing us that opportunity and for your feedback.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I received an email from LegalZoom in October advising that an automatic Registered Agent renewal of $159 would be made on my credit card on November 8th. I got my credit card statement today and discovered that I was billed $299 for the Registered Agent fee. I don't feel comfortable doing business with this company as this is the second time I've been improperly billed.

LegalZoom response

Hi Vince, we're sorry to hear you haven’t had the best experience thus far and we want to make it right. We’d love to have you discuss your concerns with a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

To get to the point. THEY SUCK!! As a disabled marine trying to get business started 4 weeks to get in oh ya then they just sent out letter saying the fax will take 2 weeks... As of today hang ups x12.

LegalZoom response

Hi John, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution as soon as possible.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

LegalZoom did not complete a simple LLC. The robocalls of LegalZoom are unprofessional. LegalZoom would claim there were issues that prevented the incorporation from being completed. On one occasion I answered the call. I was put on hold for 15 minutes. The phone call was disconnected by LegalZoom. Despite the nonperformance LegalZoom billing continues. My business plan for a new industry has been compromised as a result of LegalZoom's delay. I am exploring legal options against LegalZoom. I may seek an injunction in California to improve their business practices.

LegalZoom response

Hi Douglas, we also received & responded to your email about your experience with LegalZoom. We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We are truly sorry for any delay in communication. In the email response we explain what is required to proceed or if you decide to cancel instead, please reply to confirm so that we may resolve things right away.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Words cannot describe how unorganized this company is. My order number ** was to create a simple LLC. It was scheduled to files after December 17 2018 to prevent Franchise Tax for 2018. I actually requested file in January 2019. LegalZoom filed in November without my authorization. I called and requested to speak to a manager and no manager is available to talk to. I have to wait for 3 days for a manager to call me. This is one of the worst companies I ever have to deal with.

LegalZoom response

Hi A, our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service and we clearly missed the mark this time. You deserve better and we want to resolve this for you. Please reach out to manager directly with your personal account information via help@legalzoom.com. We assure you that a manager who can help will respond.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Do not trust this company. They say it themselves: "We are not a law firm." They opened an LLC for me. Next year they charged on my CC, again, without my authorization. Had to dispute the charge with my bank. They said they sent an email about the charge days before. And sent me a stack of paper with a term of services on the website. Shady! Not ethical or trustworthy. Lots of clicked boxes for services you don't need. One must be alert otherwise they charge you for a package you won't need.

LegalZoom response

Hi Liz, it's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We’d like to hear more details about your account and help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I did get my first will from LegalZoom in 2016. In 2018 I got a will done by my lawyer professionally done by my lawyer and now I no longer need the one on LegalZoom. LegalZoom refuses to delete my account. They will not remove my personal information from their site. They say they can't and will not if you don't want your personal information on their site forever or until they decide to delete it. if their system is hacked so is your personal information. I am still trying to get myself removed from their site.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

DO NOT USE LEGALZOOM, not ethical. The website doesn't make it clear that you are being charged $250 for the registered agent option. When I went to check out it only showed the $199 price... So I put in my credit card (no indication of other charges later). Then the receipt I receive AFTER I purchased shows the $199 and then "see below" and in small print it states that they will be charging me $250 annually to be the registered agent. I was shocked. Thought this was a mistake when I looked at my cc statement and then gave them a call. They said it was not a mistake. I then went back on the site to see if I missed something. I put in the same exact information as I did when I was making the initial purchase (thinking I'd see where I added this option) again and came to the same pricing page saying I would pay $199.

Thinking I missed something I called their sales line. It wasn't until I spoke to them that they said I needed to click a very small button to not be charged this amount. MY PROBLEM - They ARE NOT UPFRONT WITH THIS CHARGE AND ARE TRYING TO HIDE IT. I called support to get my money back and they said I now have to go through a whole goose chase with the state to change the information.

After going on the state's website, I'm pretty sure I could have filed the whole thing for $50 and saved a lot of hassle. *If LegalZoom wants to respond to this, please do not tell me to contact support, as I've done that and you said you will not return my money. Again - avoid at all costs - plenty of other ways to file an LLC that is ethical. I see others have had this same issue - I'm so upset that I'm thinking of taking them to small claims court, and I'd recommend other people with the same complaint do the same.

LegalZoom response

We truly apologize for any misunderstanding. Our registered agent service is only an option to our business customer. All fees are outlined in the questionnaire, order review prior to payment & your order confirmation. The attachments you provided show the option, the price & when to expect charges. We can cancel & issue any necessary refund for services but you will need to elect a new agent with the state. Please contact help@legalzoom.com a direct contact for a manager who can help further.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Signed up to use LegalZoom to file my LLC. Fairly easy, good amount of money to file and use LegalZoom. Done and done. What is interesting is now I needed to get a letter for my LLC filing in the mail that never came. I called to see what's going on and come to find out that they were on file as my registered State agent (which also doesn't make sense I can be my own), never billed me all these years and say I owe either over a thousand dollars, -or- they're "running a promotion right now" to waive these fees for $99.

It has the cost with a line through it saying regular fees and then just a big 99 next to it, like one of those fake sale advertisements you'd see. It's just SO shady and for something I don't need... basically someone to receive my mail and forward it on to me a week later. Or in this case only scan online. Now keep in mind I've never received an email, invoice, even attempted billed at any point for YEARS. The customer service rep I was on the phone with was very surprised too. It's so weird, and the whole thing is still up in the air.

LegalZoom response

Hi Robb, registered agent services have always been only an option. Many elect LegalZoom for the extra layer of privacy since agent information is public online but you can always be your own agent. During your purchase, there's the option to elect LegalZoom or name another. Our service is auto-renewed yearly until cancellation. Although the fees have been increased, we have the ability to keep any customer at their current price if they want. Contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I purchased the Express Gold LLC package along with the Registered Agent Service and the Essential Compliance package. While the LLC formation process was pain free, the Registered Agent and Compliance packages are a waste of time. I checked into my LLC status the other day to find out my status has been revoked. I check the compliance calendar to figure out what might have caused this and noticed that they failed to notify me of the requirement to file an annual report in the first calendar year. They suggested they did notify me. I'm awaiting proof as I meticulously kept every email from them. I complained and they put the onus back on you to basically check their work. Why pay for the additional services if they don't stand behind their product?

LegalZoom response

Hi Rob, we couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience. We’d like to review the details of your account further and try to turn things around. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I opted for LegalZoom to start my LLC. I have nothing positive to report on my experience. The entire process from start to finish felt very dishonest and exploitative, like going in for routine repairs on a vehicle and walking away with a $600 bill. While purchasing business registration services online, I found myself having to repeatedly unclick add-on services that were described in such a way that made them sound like required services to start my small business. Somehow, I made it to the end and purchased only the services I knew I needed. My total bill was roughly $300.

After being charged the initial amount, I discovered two weeks later I had been charged an additional several hundred dollars. I contacted LegalZoom about this discrepancy. Evidently, my account indicated I had elected for one of those add-on services. I am 100% certain I did not, as I recall being very annoyed and double-checking I had unselected all of the boxes.

"No problem," the lady told me, I just had to wait several weeks to receive documents from LegalZoom, then contact the State myself and submit additional documents, then wait several weeks for that reply, at which point I could contact LegalZoom again, via official mail notice, of course, and they would have no problem helping me out by returning the funds they essentially stole from me. Not to mention the fact that I was on hold for over 30 minutes before I could reach someone. Do it yourself or find a better option. Google LegalZoom reviews. They are all terrible. And, LegalZoom isn't even accredited.

LegalZoom response

Hi Elle, our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time. I want to resolve this for you & I'm aware you haven't had the best experience thus far. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have & personally confirm any cancellation/refund details. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I hired LegalZoom to set up an S Corp. I paid them over 2 grand to set this all up. Come to find out I (who is the layman in this process) didn't fill out some papers that need to be turned into the IRS to avoid fines and set up the S Corp. They never called to let me know vital paperwork was missing. They are like locus calling to collect payment though. Turns out they didn't even set up the sole proprietorship as I requested. They set me up as a corporation which is NOT what I wanted. They didn't even call to get authorization to make this change! Now I have the IRS sending me alarming letters expressing that there will be fines for neglecting to file the proper forms! I paid this company way too much money to be dealing with this!

I called LegalZoom to find out what was going on. I was told that I (again, the layman) should have filled out the appropriate papers in the starter packet. I asked why no one called me to let me know there was a problem! I asked why the hell did they set up a corporate business instead of a small independent business like I originally authored without being consulted! All I got was the runaround and a suggestion that I should pay my accountant to do it WHEN I HAVE ALL READY PAID OVER TWO GRAND TO LEGALZOOM TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I have been ripped off! They did NOT prove the service that was contracted AND paid for! STAY AWAY! Go elsewhere! This is a company that expects payment for just showing up for work but will not provide the appropriate services.

LegalZoom response

It's important to us to try and correct any misunderstanding or an error in the service. The DBA (sole proprietor) application is completely different than a corporation questionnaire. Also, a DBA cannot be a S-corp. Only a corporation or LLC can file as an S-corp. We also provide specific instructions in your welcome letter that outline the next steps for the IRS. Our customers are responsible for reading the information we provide and can call us if there’s any question. We'll send you a PM.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I used LegalZoom "Express Gold LLC" service to register an LLC in the State of New York. After three weeks, LegalZoom told me they were unable to obtain the EIN for the company – which is the basic information that you need to get from the IRS to get your entity going – and they kept giving me reasons which didn't make sense. After having spent at least two hours with different people from the LegalZoom staff, who were either incompetent or just plainly lying to me, one employee said to me: "you can obtain the EIN yourself, directly from the IRS, it will be much faster at this point".

That is the only piece of advice which turned out to be useful: I obtained my EIN within a couple days... In other words, the LegalZoom team were absolutely incapable to achieve one of the key tasks of registering an LLC. DO NOT USE LEGALZOOM. I wish I had made my research upfront. This company is a scam and survives only because of their ultra-aggressive advertising strategy (they come up first in search engines).

LegalZoom response

Hi Edouard, we are truly sorry for the poor experience. You deserve better. We’d like to full review the details of your account and try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Firstly, LegalZoom is lucky to even get the mandatory one star. After processing my order one year ago to finalize some basic legal paperwork (ie. government process and applications with nothing but straightforward paperwork), LegalZoom has continually reset the order with nothing pending from my side. Every time I call, I get the same BS responses. Spent thousands in fees with no action or outcome! They never communicate when something might 'stall' their process and have a no communication policy because that would be too hard to pick up the phone and call your customers!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE.

LegalZoom response

Hi Mark, we try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about your concerns and try to turn things around for the better. Please contact us via help@legalzoom.com & we’ll make sure a manager responds right away.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I wanted to use LegalZoom and I tried to get some info to at least to join. I had no problem going to the chat room. The first customer service chat rep, Laura, would take 2 to 3 minutes to return chat. After getting incorrect information from her, I started another chat with another rep. I explained to her Laura was not knowledgeable with what she was trying to sell and in addition, she took 2 to 3 minutes to respond to each question. The next rep spent her time defending her associate, and proceeded to take at least as long, and then ended the chat. In any case I am glad they were so horrible, as I had my charge card ready to sign up, and I came upon this website with 159 1 star reviews with no positive reviews. Chalk one up for their customer service!!

LegalZoom response

We really apologize for the poor experience you’ve had thus far. Your comments are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please be reassured that we will review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. In the future, please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I signed up to get an LLC package and opted for a payment plan of $136 a month over a 3 month period of time. I was charged a separate charge of $249 that I did not authorize! I made several calls and sent several emails with no response or help. I did however talk to 2 different people and was explained that it was a registered agent fee. One that’s not included in the payment plan that I agreed to and authorized! Now I was also told that $100 of that was for a business license fee from their sister company.

When I called them they told me it would cost $299 extra to get the license. All they told me was go to the tax collector's office and get it there. I was charged $100 for some stupid advice that didn’t do a thing to help as everyone knows that’s where you have to go! I told them I don’t want that service and wanted to be refunded for the charge. I also explained the basic registered agent fee would be fine but not the other stuff and I was told I had to contact the state about it!

I want my money refunded for the crap charges they fraudulently made to my account and did not authorize! I filed a complaint with the Better Business and I’m going to file a complaint with my bank and I’m going to contact the sheriff's department and report them for making fraudulent charges as well if they do not fix what they did! I clearly agreed to the 3 payments not the $249 2 days after the first payment was made!

LegalZoom response

Our registered agent service is only an option to our business customers.The website explains it's yearly subscription that begins the moment the company is confirmed as filed with the state and not included in your initial single payment.The fee is outlined in our online questionnaire. We're very sorry for any misunderstanding & we are more than happy to help you in resolving this matter. Contact help@legalzoom.com and a manager will respond.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was trying to update my mother's living trust and other legal documents. At first, everything was except I found the website cumbersome. The trouble started when I realized I needed to change the title of the trust. I was unable to do it myself online. I called customer support no less than eight times over several days. Simply put, the customer support team is incompetent. I was told that I could do it myself but the solution didn't work. I called back and was told by a helpful man that he would do it, however, that didn't work either. I called back and was disconnected on two separate occasions after being on hold for a long time and explaining my issue to numerous people. I called yet again and was told that I should be able to do it myself.

At that point, I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor who would actually know how to help me with this simple fix. They took my number and said the supervisor would call later that day. Three days later I finally received a call. Since then, I have called back six times and I have emailed twice. I have yet to receive a callback or an email. I would never, ever recommend anyone use this company. It's not worth the aggravation. I wish I had read the reviews before I gave them my money.

LegalZoom response

Hi Mishelle, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. We'd like to try to make things right & give you a better experience. Please feel free to send us your account information in a private message here or reach out to a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I began the process to set up a charitable non-profit through LegalZoom services. When I realized this was not a necessary move to provide the assistance necessary in our community I attempted to cancel their service. I had paid the initial large fee and gave them a credit card. When I called them to cancel, they said I couldn't until I contacted the IRS... I had never contacted the IRS, the Franchise Tax Board or any government entity that was the service LegalZoom was to suppose to do and they continued a monthly billing through my credit card with Chase Bank. I never asked for a refund or disputed any payment until I asked them to cancel the charge. So I cancelled it through Chase, however charges began to appear again and I called Chase back, evidently they can only "dispute" and if LegalZoom continues to send in the charges I have to pay or dispute... So now I received a notice from FTB assessing a penalty fee of $50.

I called Chase again and they put me on hold to talk to LZ then came back and said they were on hold with LZ too long so they would file another dispute... Yeh...I'm confused too. So never do business with LegalZoom. Evidently it is not a good idea to set up payments with a credit card according to Chase. It is that way everywhere and is anyone thinking about a class action suit. My attorney will be my next call... who I should have asked in the first place. What a nightmare...

LegalZoom response

It's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Based upon your complaint there seems to have been some miscommunication as to what it is your trying to cancel & how this can be accomplished. State filings do not have to be cancelled with the IRS. We’d like to investigate this further and help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I went through LegalZoom because of a referral from a friend. The company made an error and used my mailing address as my business address which I cannot use. I was transferred over the phone to multiple different people and departments until they told me that it will expire in three years and to just not use the DBA. They said they would give me some money back, they credited my card and then took the money back out. I receive threatening letters and emails over a DBA I cannot use but paid close to $400 for. Huge disappointment with very little help or guidance.

LegalZoom response

We're so sorry about your experience with LegalZoom. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We'd like to hear more & review your account to determine how this happened and how we can try to regain your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

On 09/20 I purchased the basic LLC filing package for $314. I did not select ANY other options. On 09/22 I was charged an additional $249 for a service I did not select. On 9/29 I was charged $920 for 2 other options that I did not select, nor authorize. Also, I am unable to remove my card on file. This is completely outrageous. I have been charged over $1000 without my knowledge or authorization. Based on the other reviews I'm seeing, this is not uncommon. This is criminal behavior from an organization that supposedly "helps" you with legal matters. I want this resolved.

LegalZoom response

Hi Grayson, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding and/or dissatisfaction with our service. All charges & fees are outlined on our website, prior to purchase, and we are truly sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. We'd like to review your account in detail & turn this experience around for the better with a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I recently applied for an LLC through LegalZoom. I have never been so disappointed in a service than I have LegalZoom. I wish I had read some of these reviews before I signed up with LegalZoom. I was hoping for an efficient, seamless process. The process has been anything but There has been almost continuous calls with customer service regarding my company name, filing status as well as duplication of emails and calls for the same issues. One instance in particular is, LegalZoom wanted me to consult my licensure board and/or a lawyer to determine if I needed to file a Professional LLC or a LLC taking 2 days longer than necessary.

They should know, after everyone they claim to have assisted what requires and what does not require a Professional LLC versus an LLC. From my understanding, the process of application through the Secretary of State, should only take 1-2 business days at the most. I am now 8 days into the process. I would recommend to anyone who needs or wants to file for an LLC, they avoid the nuisance/hassle of filing with LegalZoom and go through a lawyer's office. Just my opinion and experience.

LegalZoom response

Hi Claude, we’re really sorry you haven’t had the best experience thus far. Please keep in mind that because LegalZoom is not a law firm, we are unable to tell you everything you may need for professional LLC filing. As a result, we offer a legal plan where anyone can consult with an independent attorney to obtain specific advice. We’d like to review this further & resolve any delay issues. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My wife used their services and then they charged us $320 over and over again. Since I became aware of this they have charged us $320 SIX TIMES -- (I'm sure it's been more times, I need to call my credit card company for the past few months' statements to see how many times they have done this, they count on people not checking). Each time my wife calls and they apologize and say they will credit us and that it won't happen again. Well on my latest bill, there were THREE more of these faulty charges for $320 dollars. I'm so angry at these crooks.

LegalZoom response

Hi Craig, we are very sorry to hear this. This experience is very unusual and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution where you are completely satisfied. Please contact a manager directly with your account information via help@legalzoom.com.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs