1.35/5
Based on 130 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

150 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 21, 2018

I developed a business name that represented products my business will produce. The name search stated the business name appears to be available so I continued with the purchase. Upon further business name search (now that you have my money) the name was not available. I was presented with the only option of submitting alternative business names, which I did... about three times. By this time, the business name did not represent the products produced. Had I been presented with the option to cancel the order after the original was not available, I would have... but you reeled me in by not presenting that option. So I was left with a business name that was of no use to the business plan.

After my dissatisfaction with that, I canceled my business advantage and business advantage pro packages to save the worries of more deception. I later returned to the original business name search as if I was starting from scratch. Guess what... The original name was available although it is known to not be available. I guess all business names are available until you have the customer's money. If I could undo everything that I started with you, I would. To conclude, it would have responsible of LegalZoom to display the option of cancelling the order after the original business name was not available, not only the option of submitting alternative names. The hassle could have ended right there.

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or any dissatisfaction with our service. If a name conflict is determined during the search, we request alternate name choices but you always have the option to contact us and cancel instead. We apologize for any miscommunication on our part. We’ve reviewed your order details & reached out to you directly with a resolution. Please continue to reach out to help@legalzoom.com at any time.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 20, 2018

Just got an email from a collection agency saying I owed LegalZoom $499 for dissolving my LLC. Well it’s 4.5 years AFTER I closed my business. Yet they’ve been charging my credit card for 4.5 years (my mistake. Just realized that). So yeah. They have their $499. I’ve contacted my credit card company to reverse the previous 4.5 years of charges. This company sucks and would NEVER use them again.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jon, we're sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately the state doesn't notify us if the entity status has been changed so we rely on our customers to inform us when they have changed agents or dissolved. It sounds like the $499 fee was for a registered agent subscription elected during your original purchase. If you officially dissolved your business years ago, we'd like to review the information so we help resolve things & have the account removed from collections. Contact help@legalzoom.com.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 19, 2018

I was curious how much it was and when I saw 450 I stop filling out the forms. Then someone called me from there saying they could do payments on it. I said if I file online it's 100 and I get them in 24 hours. then he hung up on me. I have used them in the past. I damn sure won't no more.

LegalZoom response

Hi Calvin, this is not the type of experience we like to offer and we're sorry you went through this. We'd like a opportunity to change things around. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com any time.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 14, 2018

I hired LegalZoom to set up an LLC for me. All of a sudden I started getting phone calls for collection of fees I was unaware that I owed. Evidently the fine print included automatic renewal on their services. When I wrote to the state to change the registered agent, so I could fire them, I was told that the LLC was no longer viable due to nonpayment of franchise taxes. They claim that they emailed me and mailed a letter to me but since I had moved my office and changed emails, I received neither. No one called me until they wanted to collect funds for a service they did not provide adequately.

LegalZoom response

Hi Carol, we really apologize about this experience. We want to research this further and try to help with a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 13, 2018

I had LegalZoom help me start a LLC more than 6 years ago. When I no longer wanted my LLC (Less than one year) They gave me no advice on what to do. After six years, they have sent me to collection to collect for annual fees. What annual fees? I have not used them in over 6 years. Not much legal help from them, just scamming me for more money. Impossible to find help on their website. What a nightmare. Next time I will pay for a REAL lawyer once I can figure out how to stop the daily phone calls and close an account I never used.

LegalZoom response

Hi Alicia, we're sorry about this experience and we want to help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 12, 2018

I have used LegalZoom for years and I have the Registered Agent Service for two corporations registered with them. I had set the accounts to automatically renew the Registered Agent Services each year. This year when reviewing my checking account, I saw an unexpected charge for $499 to my account. When I went to look at my account online, I see where several extra services had been added to my account that I don't need or want. The normal $159 per year had been up-charged to the $499.

I called to find out who had authorized this change and was told that an email was sent out a month ago, advising that if I didn't want these upgrades, I needed to call in. I had only authorized the $159 and it is completely unethical to add an additional $250 unless I happen to catch an email and follow through with a call to their marketing department. This borders on fraud in my opinion. It would seem that they must receive prior authorization to charge my credit card for additional services that I didn't order. Placing the requirement on the customer to take the overt act of calling them, and only sending this notification in a single email, is certainly a highly questionable business practice. When I called they had the nerve to continue to try an upsell.

LegalZoom response

Hi Joseph, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry the notification of the upgrade was not received in a timely fashion & we’d really like to offer a resolution and keep you as a LegalZoom customer. We’ll send you a private message to get your information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 10, 2018

I started The process 4-21-2018 with LegalZoom to form my LLC in the state of Michigan. I was Told that it would take 30 days to receive my economy LLC package back from them, I agreed And paid the $129.00. A week went by and I was Told that I needed copies of my License in a PDF in order to file my business, I sent In the copies, I called Them back in another week to see why my account still showed the progress as delayed, the rep said that I needed to fill out A form with my colleague and I, with our signatures on the form because we had a (Professional LLC). I sent in the documents and a week went pass with my account still in delay, I called them back and the rep said that my envelopes probably hasn’t cleared through their mailing room yet?!?! I called Back 3 days later, and it still didn’t clear their mailing room.

So another week goes by, I call Them back and they tell me that the documents have been sent off to the state for approval and it only takes 3-5 business days. Ok finally some good news I think, another week goes by, my account says processing for your state government is taking longer than usual, at this point I’m becoming extremely frustrated with LegalZoom.

Another week goes by, and after speaking to 4 of their reps during this time, I still Haven’t had approval from the state, WTF?!?! So I called In to cancel my order a few days ago, and I ask The rep what the hold up was, she then goes on to say, "Your LLC has been rejected by the state", I ask Her why, and "Why haven’t I received a call or an e-mail in the two days that your company received my rejection?" She says to me a paying customer, "I can See we are not gonna be on the same page sir so I’ll get my manager", with the snottiest attitude I’ve ever experienced at a place that I spent My money.

I cancel My order right then while I was On hold for 20 more minutes... I went straight to my government website and filled it myself directly at 10:00 at night, when I woke up and started my day, I received my articles of organization back from the state at 12:00 noon, less than 24 hours later of doing it myself for only the state fees I had My LLC and E.I.N. Something that this company had been doing for well over a month I got Done by myself in less than 24 hours. The reason why my Business Entity was denied was because these incompetent degenerates filed my LLC as a professional LLC instead of just an LLC which it is...

Please for the love of The Most High... Do not use this disaster of a company... You can do it yourself, this company is absolute trash, and I will Never do business with them again... I wasted over a month and x amount of Thousands of dollars in business Lost because of these imbeciles... I would Give them lower than a one star if Ii could... DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...

LegalZoom response

We apologize for the experience you've had with LegalZoom regarding your LLC package. Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact us via email at help@legalzoom.com and we'll try our best to make things right.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 6, 2018

I signed up for the Express Gold LLC package to do a rush incorporation of an LLC because I need the EIN to open a bank account. The website flow was slick and promised a quick turnaround but it turns out it's just a front for a really terrible customer service flow over email tickets where they continuously drop the ball (every time I message -- and note that I have to initiate the message -- they reply saying they need one more piece of information, which they should have already collected previously) and they do NOT actually deliver on time. Worst experience ever.

LegalZoom response

Hi T, we're disappointed to hear you didn’t have a great experience with us and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We'd like to learn more about your situation. Please kindly submit your contact information to a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com or send us your information in a private message. We’ll review your order history. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 5, 2018

Last year I form an LLC with a business partner who ended up being a little bit shady and we dissolve the LLC. This year I got a call from LegalZoom claiming that I owe them for registered agent fees. I said the business is listed as inactive on the Secretary of State website and the lady on the phone assured me that they were still listed as a registered agent and suggested that I update that on the website. In order to do that, I had to reinstate the business, file new articles changing the registered agents and then also formally dissolving the company. There were of course fees involved in doing so.

The calls from LegalZoom have not stopped and when I explained it to the gentleman on the phone that the business has been dissolved and LegalZoom is no longer listed as a registered agent he said these were the fees for last year that I still owe for. So which is it? Under no circumstances will I ever work with LegalZoom again. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend that anybody do so.

LegalZoom response

Hi Joe, we're really sorry to hear about this. If your business was officially dissolved, then you should not be charged for registered agent fees and we'd like to help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 4, 2018

LegalZoom is absolutely HORRIBLE! My husband and I paid $238 for wills and powers of attorney for both of us, as well as professional printing. What a disaster! I found the website confusing, especially the order numbers, some of which kept changing, and some did not even thought I was making revisions to everything. When I called, they would tell me that everything was done correctly, even though I found it later it was not.

Here's the kicker- after I finalized everything, which took almost a month, the documents were supposed to be professionally printed and sent. I got them- 2 copies of my will, and 2 copies of my power of attorney and nothing for my husband. I called and asked to speak to a manager, but they couldn't find one. I requested that my husband's documents be sent. I got two more packages in the mail- my husband's will and another copy of my power of attorney. On hold AGAIN with them. Let's see if they can fix it this time. How hard is it to print something and put it in the mail? RUN, RUN, RUN- far and fast!!!

LegalZoom response

Hi Amy, we're so sorry to hear about this experience and when we make a mistake, we really want to fix it. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My experience with LegalZoom has been a nightmare. I applied for an LLC through LegalZoom. It was very important for me to receive my EIN number quickly because without my EIN I cannot set up payment options for my new business. I requested an urgent EIN and was told I would receive it about 3 weeks ago. Once the due date passed for my EIN, I called the customer service line and they assured me that my EIN would be arriving that day. It did not. I have called LegalZoom every single day since then and every single day I am promised that my EIN will be sent to me that day. Here I am writing this review 3 weeks later and I still do not have my EIN number.

LegalZoom has cost me an incredible amount of time, as well as money. I would not wish this service on my worst enemy. It is incredibly hard to start a new business and when companies like LegalZoom let you down over and over it becomes very discouraging. I hope this review, as well as the countless other 1 star reviews on this site warn others that LegalZoom is not a company you want involved in your business.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 30, 2018

If you are looking to register for a basic LLC, DON'T do it through LegalZoom. My accountant suggested I work through LegalZoom to register my LLC. I thought it was a good suggestion since I hadn’t registered before and I assumed they would be more helpful than if I go directly through my state. Well I was totally wrong. I paid for to receive my LLC within 30 days when checking 10 days after my purchase I saw there was a delay in the State filing step. I did not have time for any delays, so I called the state office directly and asked the reason for the delay. They said they had not received the request. Then I asked how much it would have cost and how long it would have taken to file directly with my state and they said it costs $100 and takes 1 business day.

Quick comparison. Cost to register for LLC with LegalZoom $175 and it takes 30 days. Cost to register for LLC with the State of Oregon $100 and it takes 1 business day. I called customer service to complain, but since I did sign up for the 30-day plan they would not offer a refund. I do understand that I signed for the 30 day plan, but I should have done more research before listening to my accountant and using LegalZoom rather than my state. Therefore I am trying to warn others that LegalZoom could be overcharging for a service you can easily do yourself (especially in this case).

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 29, 2018

Like so many other reviews I have read, I am being charged, almost 2 years later, for an annual registered agent fee, which I did not ask or sign for. We used LegalZoom in July 2016 to prepare a deed for a property sale. We paid our fees for that transaction and now, almost two years later, they want 299.00. I have had 12 email interactions with LegalZoom since Jan 2018 and numerous phone calls. I asked that account to be closed in Jan through email after receiving harassing emails and phone calls. Just this evening I was called from collection agency to ask what method I wanted to use to pay LegalZoom. What a shady thing to do. I will never do business with them again. I want my account closed and my record cleared of owing LegalZoom any monies.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sandra, in reviewing your account, you elected the LegalZoom registered agent during your initial purchase and have been charged the annual fee since 2014. We recently increased our agent fees due to new services added. According to the state, we are is still listed as your agent. If you no longer want our service, you are required to name a new agent with the state. Once the agent is updated, contact help@legalzoom.com so we may cancel service & refund the most recent charge right away.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I used LegalZoom to form my LLC on 2/28/2018 and OMG what a mistake. They first used my DBA as my name for the LLC and it was 6 weeks later when I found out about this error, I then submitted an order to amend this LLC with correct name which I ended up canceling and decided to drive to office of SOS myself and filed the amendment on 4/13/2018 and got the papers in next 2 days while their site continues report status, "DELAYED - Processing by your state government is taking longer than expected. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

As of today, 5/25/2018 I have not yet received anything back from these guys. So I called them to follow up and same status still reports for my order, I was told that they were waiting me to give them confirmation to file Statement of Information. No one contacted me via email or phone. Status information is misleading or not clear... If you are not rush or want to wait 5-6 months to form your legal entity then go ahead use LegalZoom... I will not ever use any of their services. Thank you!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I used the website to make a simple will and it was so confusing that I didn't realize they were charging me $13.99 month for almost a year. When I called it took forever to actually speak to a human. When I told them how unhappy I was they agreed to cancel my subscription and refund me 2 months of charges. BIG DEAL. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

LegalZoom Consultation services is $14.99 per month or $11.99 if paid annually. The website says in big betters, "You can talk to an attorney in your state as often as you like." Looks clear enough until you try to talk to an attorney more than once during a six month period. Before subscribing, I called Legal Zoom to ask questions so I clearly understood what services I can expect to receive. Their sales people tell you what you want to hear - like an insurance salesman. But when you call more than once in six months - they find excuses to deny your consultation.

They canceled a set-up appointment at the end of the day (4:05) PM, when you expect an attorney to call the following day for your consultation services. The "service" you are paying to receive is nothing more than a referral service to attorneys. Their hope is you'll call with an issue, and they will convert it to a sale or contract for legal services.

Here is what I found, I can call any attorney and speak with them for 30 minutes at no cost. More importantly, on your own, you can select an attorney specializing in the field in which you have an issue. With LegalZoom you get a broad spectrum, one-size fits all attorney who may, or not, have some knowledge of the area in which you require assistance. Save your money, get more precise, and experienced advice, call an attorney on your own.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jayson, we would like to extend our sincerest apology in regards to your less than pleasant experience with the LegalZoom Legal Plan. Our website advertises that "Our prepaid legal plans offer you unlimited 30-minute consultations on new legal matters for one low monthly fee". This means that each consultation would need to be for a new legal matter. We apologize for any miscommunication on our part and we've issued a refund for your service charges.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Sadly I found this website after I place my order. So this is what happen: Express Gold LLC + Business License Package which I was charged "for me to fill out all the forms and send the paperwork myself!!!" having a 3rd party person sending me emails to collect extra fees to complete what at first I had paid for!! Now I have to find a local accountant AND PAID AGAIN to file the licenses needed. WHAT A SCAM and don't even try to call customer service. Terrible as well, this has been such a bad experience, stay away.

LegalZoom response

Hi Carlos, we're sorry you didn't feel the business license package experience was the best. We apologize for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our end. As a result, we've applied the license package fee as a credit to the balance that remains on your account reducing the price. Please contact us via help@legalzoom.com to resolve final installment payment and prevent any further collection attempts.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 24, 2018

Like some of the other users of this service, I assumed this to be a reputable and ethical business. In 2014 I set up a small LLC using LegalZoom, and used them as the registered agent. The RA fee was $159 until renewal time late last year, when it went up tremendously. Other companies were contacting me with far lower prices for the same service. In a phone discussion (should have kept a record of all this, but again, I thought I was dealing with a reputable company) where I told them I no longer wanted their service and to cancel, they offered a little reduction in price, but I had already signed up with another company.

Fast forward, to May 15 when I received an email that my credit card could not be processed (it had been compromised and a new one issued). I responded by email that I had cancelled early this year, and received a response the same day that my "membership (?)" had been cancelled. On May 18, I received an email from a collection agency in New York indicating that LZ had turned the "delinquent account" over to them for collection of $299. I fail to understand how something could be delinquent when it would be prepaying for 2018 for a service that I had cancelled, and another company had done the service. This is simply another scam effort to intimidate people into handing over money. I advise anyone who reads this to be very careful in doing business with this company; they seem to be capable of scamming.

Updated on 06/15/2018: I submitted a review on May 24 and LegalZoom finally responded on June 5 with their usual trite response promising a quick resolution. I responded on 6/11, both on this site and by email to the address given on this site. To date there has been nothing. This morning I received yet another voicemail from their collection agency. So it appears that they have no intention of handling this situation, which leaves me with going forward with the fraud complaints to the Georgia and California Attorneys General. Warning to all - don't do business with this company!

LegalZoom response

Hi Carey, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We want to review your account & entity status so that we can confirm your change of agent/cancellation to end any further collection attempts. Please contact a manager directly with your account information via help@legalzoom.com. We’ll be sure to resolve this for you right away.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased the last Will & Testament product. Completing the will is relatively easy but problematic. I live in the state of Ohio and in recent years Ohio included the Digital Asset category to completing a Will. LegalZoom does not alert you to this. The only reason I know about it is because my husband recently completed a codicil and the attorney (in Ohio) that he used stated the legal digital assets needed to address the disposition of digital assets. So, because I was not aware of this Ohio requirement I had to submit a revision to my Will requiring that I wait another 5 days to get the revision. After you complete your will there is no section to select where you can review what you've entered so if there is a typo you have to wait another 5 days to make the correction. If you want an expedited revision you get charged another $20 bucks.

The price for a simple will is reasonable but the product is substandard. There are no instructions alerting you to legal requirements of disposition of digital assets in Ohio. There is no review section to verify spelling. If you complete a section that is contradictory to a previous section, there is no alert to the error and you are required to wait the standard 5 days before you get a message on your account on the LegalZoom website, they do not even bother to send you an email letting you know of a problem. I had an error, called the number, the rep was professional, she fixed the error and told me I had to wait 4 days for the revision, but it actually takes 5 days. Every time you make a correction, you get a new order number. This entire experience was a waste of time and money. The only upside is that revisions are free for 30 days. I complained to the rep that fixed the error I had and the only response was that she thanked me for calling.

LegalZoom response

We apologize you didn’t feel like you had the best experience with completing your will. Your comments are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Had similar experiences to some of these reviews. I'm a dumb newbie who started an LLC 5 years ago. I never actually did anything with the LLC other than make plans. I got too busy working and travelling a FT job and missed answering most of the calls and emails sent by LegalZoom and by their 3rd party companies, offering trial services, none of which I needed. However, it turns out my little LLC missed some state filings. I still don't know why. I was ignorant of this - and got involuntarily dissolved by my state last year. Granted, I should have paid more attention, and should have returned some of those 'please call us back' non-specific voicemails. Perhaps Legal Zoom needed signatures, verifications, or payments from me, I don't know. I read somewhere, they try to call 3 or 5 times, then don't try again. However, for the money I paid them to be the company's Registered Agent, it would have been nice to get better service, than just 'call us back'.

Today, I called and asked that they stop billing me to for their services as a Registered Agent since the company was dissolved over a year ago. They can't stop billing me. They said I needed to go to the state, fill out paperwork to renew the LLC ($600 + $75 filing fee)... Then call LegalZoom back and open a new order to get LegalZoom removed (which will be even more fee$). Otherwise, LegalZoom will remain forever as the Registered Agent for an LLC that no longer exists. Forever deducting annual $159 payments from me. To be fair, the state told me the same thing when I tried to remove them as Registered Agent myself... I did all the legwork to figure this all out.

Thousands of dollars to LegalZoom over 5 years - here's what I got: A binder when the company was formed, and lots of calls and emails for various reasons, and ongoing automatic annual payments. The few times I did call for help, the person who answered said they couldn't give legal advice. Different people with differing experience levels answer those calls. I hope to start a new LLC in another state next year... Learned a lot from this experience.

LegalZoom response

Hi Cheryl, we're sorry about your experience. Annual filing requirements are outlined in the package provided. In addition, as the registered agent we alert you of upcoming filing dates via email, calls, mailed letters along with displaying the information in your account on our website. We've reviewed your account & confirmed your auto-renewals have been cancelled but in order to update your LLC documents, all state requirements must be completed. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: May 17, 2018

At first, despite all the bad reviews, they did the filing for my new LLC pretty quick and got all the information to get the ball rolling, after the false advertising and giving us the discount for the service they still charge us the double the agreed amount. Yes, I noticed all the reviews from the customers and the LegalZoom’s reply, they are basically an copy and paste, no resolution.

LegalZoom response

Hi Chris, we assure you the reviews are being responded to by a real person and we will review your account to do everything possible to resolve your concerns. We'll reach out to you directly but please also feel free to contact a manager anytime via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Like so many other reviews I have read, I was charged the $14.99 for legal advice that I did not ask for. I understand now that you have to cancel the service before the 30 days. I was doing a last will and testament, and they charged my credit card $79 right away, and then sent me an email that there was information missing before they can complete the will. I received an email that they will credit the $79 for the will, but nothing regarding the $14.99 that I also requested be removed. What a shady thing to do. I will never do business with them again.

LegalZoom response

Hi Greg, we are sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you were unaware of. If you specified you did not want to participate in the subscription plan, then we would like to make things right. We have cancelled the subscription along with providing you a refund for your charge. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com if you have any further questions.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I signed up for LegalZoom because I wanted to get the correct forms and procedures to create my new business. I wanted a piece of mind that items being filed were accurate. This turned out to be a costly mistake. Their initial package seems fair to set up an LLC, and it offers payments, however; they sign you up for many trials and at the end of 30 days, they turn into $34.99 monthly or $320 annual fees. First warning, make sure you cancel any trial items that they give you.

Second, when I initially set up the account, I checked the DBA option and entered the information, only to find out that all of that gets ignored and no DBA was formed. I had to sign up for a separate package of $184 for them to create the DBA. They fill out a form to you and send it to you for you to send back so they can do the filling. Let me save you time and money. To form a DBA, download the form from the internet and file it for $34 then pay additional $25 for publication. Much faster and much cheaper.

Their customer service takes a while to answer, but they are available to give you refunds on services not performed. For example, in my initial package - they never filed for an EIN. This was something that once again I was able to take care of online. The bottom line is that many of the services, you will need to work on so it is better to do the research and take care of it yourself or pick a better company that will help and lay items needed clearly.

LegalZoom response

Hi Nancy, we truly apologize you didn't experience us at our best. We'd like to learn more and try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Horrible! They do nothing. You pay for a service and they come right back saying you have to do the work yourself. I asked for a refund. Got partial back. They are still charging me and sending me to collections... IF YOU ARE SETTING UP A NONPROFIT DONT GO HERE! I went with Yippiekiyay...awesome company! They do it all for you! And no I don’t want to be contacted as I’ve tried many times to ask LegalZoom to take me off their lists. I’ll be taking you to court for harassment.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rose, we're sorry about your experience and happy to resolve any ongoing & unwanted charges. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: May 11, 2018

STOP, STOP, STOP... Anyone considering doing business with this company I urge you to RUN, RUN, RUN away as fast as you can. I didn't read the reviews before doing business with them. GIANT, GIANT, GIANT mistake on my part. I tried to set up a corporation and paid the premium price to speed the process up. Once I realized that I had made a mistake with this "so called company" I started calling their customer service department. I believe this is nothing more than a call center. I don't think there is a person there with an IQ over 50. What I got was a bunch of conflicting BS! They don't have a clue what they are doing, or it's just outright LIES.

I don't need STRESS in my life and I certainly don't need to pay to have it enter my life. That's all you will get from this company is LIES & STRESS!!! I finally told them that I was done with all their company and I wanted a complete refund of my money. That's the only thing that they did right. I got my refund credited to my card in about three days. It's my opinion that this "so called company" needs to be investigated by a legal authority or entity of some kind for their business practices. So people RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! I'm sure as with all the previous reviews they will put out a comeback statement to this review. Well they can stick that up their **!!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I am writing to complain about LegalZoom and they're illegal practices. I formed an LLC Corporation back in January of 2015. That was the only service that I used LegalZoom for and I paid them to expedite my LLC which they did. I do not use LegalZoom for any other service. I sent it in writing and LegalZoom continues to harass me saying that I owe them for charges, filing services annual fees. I don't know what this company does. I think they should be thrown in jail. It's a horrible company with illegal practices. I am a business owner I have never experienced such harassment and bullying. I am filing a case with Consumer Affairs against them.

I was just notified that LegalZoom had sent me to a collection company for charges for service they provided. I file my own annual filing with the state of NJ. I do not need LegalZoom to charge me $299 annually for what? Repeated written efforts and phone calls have been made to discontinue service with LegalZoom and now I get a letter that they're taking me to a collection agency. I will tell anyone that I know not to use LegalZoom. They are an illegal and an unfit and unfair company to ever do business with. I guess that's why you people has a 1 and half star rating! You got another sucker!

LegalZoom response

Hi Lauretta, it sounds like you may have opted in for LegalZoom to serve as your Registered Agent or another subscription. All subscription services & fees are outlined on our website & questionnaire page upon purchasing. We can assist you with both cancelling the subscription & stopping any further collection attempts but we’ll need to review your account. Please feel free to contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing from you so we can get everything resolved.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I decided to engage LegalZoom to assist in forming a small business LLC in the state of CA. The main deciding factor was that the company offered an Express Gold service, turn around 7-10 business days. $349 + $85 filing fees and VIP Service. I was in a rush to get this going so I went for it. Now 9 days after filing I find out that the $349 fee is to pay LegalZoom to turn the application around in 7-10 business days. And that they have absolutely no control over expediting anything with the state. Even though the package itself advertises "Rush With Secretary of State". I even spoke with two different LegalZoom agents after the filing as they had questions regarding the name and I confirmed that I should have these docs within the next 10 business days.

Now 9 days after having filed the application I find out that LegalZoom just submitted it to the state and it will take minimum another 15 business days for the state plus another 2 days for shipping etc. so we are truly looking at all told a 4-5 week turn around at best. I called the customer support number and was told that there was no-one I could talk to regarding a refund, cancelling the order etc. I was given an email submitted a complaint there and online. Still waiting for an answer.

LegalZoom response

Hi Anke, we are sorry to hear about this experience and would like to help. We're reviewing your order details and will reach out to you directly to resolve this. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Fairly simple story here: LegalZoom created an LLC for me, and I paid to have them act as the registered agent, and for an additional service to ensure the legal entity remained in compliance for filings with the state. Recently, I got a final warning that my LLC is about to be dissolved by the state because my agent has not filed an annual report. I never received a notice or reminder from LegalZoom that this was due. As a result of the delinquency, I have a significant late penalty I have to pay to keep the entity in good standing. When I called LegalZoom to understand what is going on, their responses (plural, as I had to talk to four different people, explaining the situation to each one), were effectively a shrug and "um, sorry. Too bad, I guess."

To boot, the filing fees from the state are somehow increased by 50% if LegalZoom files the report for me vs. doing it myself. So, by paying LegalZoom to take care of this, I am hit with late notices and penalties, and my filing fees are inflated. And I still have to do everything myself. Not what anyone would call a great deal or valuable service. I will cancel ALL services I have with them and let my credit card company know any future charge is to be declined.

Original review: May 3, 2018

We’ve had nothing but problems with LegalZoom since Day One – for three years now. The last go-around was the last straw. First we were emailed regarding a “late notice” on our “auto pay” – alrighty then. A couple of problems there. We’ve never used any auto debit instruments for unknown entities such as this one, and we could not find out what the super duper deluxe package entailed that they wanted us to pay for. At long last we got a call with noisy hectic background sounds clearly reminiscent of a telemarketing call center. The “Product Specialist” calling seemed clueless regarding what our “package” contained, and eventually he relented to what we had asked for, a written emailed explanation.

What a surprise that was – every useless service imaginable except for the two things that we had always hoped and dreamed about. Turns out that one of them, our annual state LLC Registration renewal, had always been included in what we had paid for but had never actually been done by LegalZoom. We always had to do that ourselves. Several days later, after countless additional emails and calls (their phone menu never actually yielded a live person or accepted a recorded message from us) we’re taking a brief respite. Then again, we have made it clear that we’re merely trying to fire them, or wanting to know what their “Satisfaction Guarantee” is all about, and want to find out if we had missed anything in the mess. I’m thinking that we’re simply being shunned at this point.

LegalZoom response

Hi Paul, we would never shun you. We’re happy to review your order details & answer any questions to help. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.

Original review: May 3, 2018

LegalZoom has capitalized on the word legal, yet is the most fraudulent company I have ever dealt with. I canceled account in 2016 yet they still charges $299, then finally refunded. Next year 2017, LegalZoom charges again, we also had refunded. Now again they did a $299 annual charge, finally refunded again. They were rude and did not want to refund again. I had to threaten to call my bank/card. Fraud by LegalZoom - still 3years annual charges after canceled.

LegalZoom response

Hi Joe, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We'd like to learn more about your situation. Please kindly submit your contact information to: help@legalzoom.com and we will review your order history.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs