2. Legal Services

4.6/5 (693 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?
LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.
Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?
If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.
Will LegalZoom hold up in court?
Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.
Why is LegalZoom so expensive?
LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: April 25, 2021

LegalZoom was a company that I knew that was for sure could get it done. I know a couple of people that have already went through LegalZoom. I've been having trouble getting in to get certain documents. The only way to get my documents from LegalZoom is from the app. I went to the website, and it doesn't give me that option, so I do not have any hard copies of any of my paperwork.

After the process was done, I went into the app and I would get all the documents. After that, when I went into the app, it told me that the documents were not there. So, if you go to the website where I put in all the information to get started and things of that nature, it doesn't give you the option of going into your account or viewing certain paperwork that you might want to go back and find. So, at this point, I can't find my documents.

There is an email on the website that I sent the email to, and no one has responded to try to figure out how to get the documents. I thought they would come in the mail, but then when I thought about it, if they're in the app, it's gonna be just as simple, just go in there and print them off. But I haven't been able to find them. But other than that, the process was smooth.

LegalZoom response

Every piece of feedback is important to us, and we’re so glad you took the time to share this Ricky! If you're still having trouble accessing your documents, please send us an email at socialmediaoutreach@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected with someone who can help.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2021

The navigation through LegalZoom's website was fine. It made it very clear as to what I was supposed to be doing. At one point during the filling out of one of the forms, I ended up having to call and the young man that I talked to was knowledgeable and very clear. He did not confuse me further, which sometimes happens. I could have called him any time but from that point on, I didn't need to. The process was pretty self-explanatory. From there, it was all email communication. The process took less than a week.

I did a provisional patent with LegalZoom. With the item that I created, you have to draw it out and put the sizes and the measurements. Luckily, my husband has drafting experience so he was able to do it really quickly. I then took some photos of it and it was good to go. The rest of it is understanding all the legal components of what the documents say. I understood probably 80% of it and what I didn't know, the young man explained to me.

Before I even called LegalZoom, I went to the website for patents. I had a good solid understanding of what was going to be expected of me. You can do all of it then just have the lawyer look at it and sign the papers. But I didn't want to do it myself that's why I contacted LegalZoom. It was well worth the money. I will use them again when I make the next step.

LegalZoom response

You’ve officially taken the first step to protect your work and we couldn’t be happier for you, Robin. Thanks for sharing your review and being part of the LegalZoom family.

Original review: April 17, 2021

LegalZoom was one of the first web-based type legal sites. My brother-in-law also uses them. I knew he was using them and satisfied with them, so I figured I'd give it a try. What I find is some of these pages and websites get a bit overwhelming trying to figure out the best way to navigate, and what are all the options, especially when you're dealing with something that could be fairly intense, like some legal issue. It's not just LegalZoom, it's a lot of sites, just trying to figure out how to navigate through the site, and get to the right people or the right links. But ultimately, I figure it out.

The whole process was very smooth, with setting up the LLC. And I used LegalZoom as the registered agent. It was very responsive, and accomplished the task quickly. I only used LegalZoom for that LLC, and then I used them for templates to draft either an operating agreement or a contract for doing business. I went in to get a template for a consulting contract and it was nice when I went there to do that. I went through that whole checkout process. And then the email I got was $0 charge. That was nice because they didn’t charge me anything for that. But that was the only thing I wasn't clear on, what was available for free once I got the initial service, like setting up the LLC and having LegalZoom as my registered agent, what perks did I get along with that. It wasn't clear until that all happened, that they weren't going to charge me.

LegalZoom response

We truly believe everyone should have access to professional legal advice, and we’re so glad we could deliver for you, David! Thanks for sharing your feedback here and for choosing LegalZoom.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I'm a sole owner of a business, but I have a partnership that's a 50-50 with another business organization. They were the one that gave me the option for LegalZoom. But I also know of another business owner that has used them before and he expressed a whole lot of positive reviews when it comes to their services. From what I understand, affordability and the services that they offer are kind of the gold standard. It's the first time I've ever gone through the process of getting the LLC. I don't have a whole lot of reference to know how difficult it would normally be or how difficult it would be to go through another agency, process or another state or country but given the way that it went, the process is difficult in general and timely and has a little bit of expense to it. LegalZoom kind of rolled out the red carpet and made it about as easy and painless as that process probably could be.

I've had multiple contacts with the people at LegalZoom helping me through the process. I had questions and I called back, and they were easy to get ahold of. The explanation on what it is, what I need to do and what the next step is was very positive. Anytime I had a question or anytime I had a need to know things, I could just pick up the phone and I would reach somebody at LegalZoom who could explain it to me and then tell me what the next steps are.

What LegalZoom have set up is pretty ideal. I plan on making other changes into the future. I'm waiting to see how this business runs and if it is a successful venture, I have every intention to come back to LegalZoom and do another couple steps with them. Not only was I pleased enough with the process that they produced and the services, but to the degree that I have in mind to use them again for other things that I'd like to do with the business. Adding my wife as an equal partner in it, I know that that was offered, and that is something that they can help me with. When we take that step, that's something that I will definitely be coming back to them for. I'm very pleased with what they offer. They have made it very easy for me to go through the process I went through. So, I would definitely recommend.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I used LegalZoom to get a name change. The state of Tennessee changed my name, so I had to go through LegalZoom. They got all the paperwork for me to get it done. For something technical, I don't know anything about that stuff, but they sent step by step on every little thing I needed to do. If I need a lawyer for anything, they’ll do the heavy lifting. I’m a truck driver. If something happens and I say, “Hey, I need a lawyer to help me deal with this ticket,” they will do the hard part. They would be like, “Where did you get this ticket? Where did you do this?” I will figure it all out. It wouldn’t be like back and forth and me having to do more work. It would be just 170. It's very reasonable.

It’s like having a retainer for anything possible. It’s easier to have that where they could use a bigger net than me. When I first tried to get my name changed, I didn’t know what to do. I was calling a hundred places and got a runaround. But with LegalZoom, they took care of everything. Even when I went to Kentucky to get my name changed, I called them. I said, “I got this form.” They said, “Read the form to me.” “It’s 209.” “Oh, yeah. That’s the right one.” It’s not like every state has the same form. They did it all, and they separated it all, and they explained everything. So, it shocked me that a lot more people don't use them.

I just wish their website was more user-friendly. With stuff that needs upload or use, it was just easier to call some days because it just wouldn't work. Once I needed to change a form to give my original name and then send my new name, it just wouldn't upload. Things couldn't go. I had to call somebody. He was like, “Hold on, I should do it for you.” He walked completely through the whole thing with me and did it. I was like, “Why do you guys even have a website? You send emails that say, ‘Change this part. We need you to check this out.’ And it just didn’t work.”

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I wanted to start a business but didn’t know anything about the legality of paperwork. I remembered the commercial for Legal Zoom and decided that was the better option for me during this pandemic. I started out online but did need some assistance and my new advisor seemed to know exactly what I needed. He is very knowledgeable and made great and sensible suggestions. Thank you Legal Zoom for making this start hassle and stress free!

LegalZoom response

You're very welcome, Angela, and thanks for choosing us for your business needs! We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to working with you in the future. Congratulations on making it official!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I am trying to decide between a couple of different ways to register our business and about state fees. The agent (which btw a was a human and NOT A COMPUTER RESPONSE) was very knowledgeable and didn't treat me like I was stupid for not already knowing the information. When I mentioned that I was comparing prices because I was concerned about my budget, he informed me that LegalZoom offered payment plans if needed. He wasn't pushy about signing up right away either which I really appreciated.

LegalZoom response

We're here to help! We appreciate you for considering us for your potential business needs, Sarah, and hopefully, you choose us to assist with making your business official!

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2021

Not the smoothest experience but got the help I needed at the end.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have been working with LegalZoom for 7 months now and it has been a disaster. Been on the phone probably for 5 hours in the last weeks to resolve an issue. After many unsuccessful calls, I was finally put in touch with Tanisha, an escalation specialist. I thought things were finally going to get resolved but now several days later, I am back on square one and can't get hold of Tanisha. It is an endless cycle calling LegalZoom and starting over from square 1. Stay away at all cost!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I called in reference to a question I had during the online process. The agent offered to stay on the phone during that process to answer any questions I may have. I had maybe two questions so the call was pretty silent but knowing someone was there to answer my questions was great and impressive.

LegalZoom response

We’re here to help! We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review, Gerell. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Legal Zoom was easy, swift, and a reliable service to use for setting up my LLC. My agent was really nice and well-informed about all of the services that Legal Zoom offers, which made me feel like I was in good hands. She offered to help me later on if I had any questions, or needed assistance with anything furthermore.

LegalZoom response

We're glad our support staff was able to help make your experience a bit smoother. Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Omar-Frederick, and thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

LegalZoom Company Information