2. Legal Services
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

LegalZoom started in 2001 with one mission – to provide inexpensive legal help to all Americans. Since opening its doors, LegalZoom has been featured in Forbes and The Wall Street Journal. In the U.S., the legal services company partners with some of the country’s best legal institutions, including Harvard Law School, Yale Law School and Stanford Law School.

BOTTOM LINE

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

PROS

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

CONS

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Top LegalZoom Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They were like my agent. The online process was very easy... For what I’ve done, I can’t ask for anything better.

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well and I have really enjoyed it. LegalZoom is a great product and I've already recommended it to my real estate clients.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

When I worked with LegazZoom for incorporating, it was really easy and fast. With them, you fill some stuff out then you're kind of on your own. But people incorporating really don't know anything and they're obviously starting anew mostly. So, there should be an immediate service to guide people like somebody who would call you right after your account set-up and you have a personal person who would help you. They would ask about your plan and tell you what you need to do such as the fact that you have to pay an annual tax of $800, you have these forms to answer, and you have to have a seller's permit. The service would be free for the first 30 days only and if you wanted to use them you'd be able to always ask them stuff or they would always remind you that you can pay.

They've got to have something like that because at the end of the day, incorporating is the easy part, but there's so much stuff in the background that people don't know unless they research or it comes up. That can get costly for LegalZoom but if they did that, that would be amazing. Thereafter, if somebody wanted to keep that service, maybe they could pay a monthly fee to be able to get phone support and have questions answered. At the same time, having somebody guide you on what you need to know without having to ask the question would also be helpful because some people don't know what they even need to ask to begin with.

Despite that, LegalZoom still offers a lot for the price at the end of the day. The interface isn't that great though and it was not super user-friendly or easy to interpret. It was not bad either but it could be better. When I wanted to log in, it was not really clear about where are the forms you've already filed and where are the future forms. The calendar was a little weird, too. It'd also be nice to be able to have support on the weekends because a lot of businesses are opening on the weekends. I'd love to get questions answered as opposed to waiting a couple of days. But other than that, the hold times have been pretty good and LegalZoom has been great.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rayan. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We appreciate the feedback and we'll work on making this a better experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I liked the website. The interface seemed pretty straightforward. It's very no muss, no fuss. I set up two LLCs. I’m dissolving one right now with LegalZoom. I've also did my estate planning documents. I got their estate planning bundle. The process was pretty straightforward. The comprehensive suite of services provided made me feel confident that they have researched the needs of your target consumers very well. So I felt quite secure that they had done their legwork, and I'd be able to get a solid solution. I also liked the fact that I was introduced to a local attorney, who would corroborate a lot of the information I received from LegalZoom in my market. It was pretty cool that there were people that they had vetted. It turned out to be great. I was really pleased with that component of the service. I’m really happy about that.

LegalZoom is a great place to start, depending on how complicated the person's matters are. If they were looking for a straightforward, non-scary, non-threatening, non-expensive way to dip your toe into a legal matter, I would suggest everyone start with LegalZoom and then follow up with an attorney to help connect the dots if there are things that are confusing.

I had one setback. But it was more of a technical issue with the way things are managed there. I should have expected that working with an online provider like LegalZoom that there wouldn't have a lot of interpretive support. For example, I wanted to start a new company. I plugged in the company name and they said, “Oh, great, your name is available.” So I'm down that whole rabbit hole. Until I learned that in the state that I wanted to incorporate, the name wasn't available. All LegalZoom provided me were, “Sorry, your name isn't available.” They did not provide me alternatives. They did not provide me any information about why my name wasn't available. So that was a huge setback. I ended up setting up a corporation with a name I didn't want.

I've gotta go through the whole process of now dissolving that corporation because LegalZoom took one of the options that I wasn't crazy about without providing any feedback. They moved ahead and got me the name even though it wasn't the one I wanted. So I over expected based on my previous experience for LegalZoom to be proactive and very helpful in that area. It cost me a lot of extra money. I could have just hired a lawyer to do the research. I would have had a bit of a back and forth with that attorney, which would have saved me money in the long run.

I would warn people that even if it is just a slight bit complicated, don't expect too much from LegalZoom. But overall, I'm still better off having worked with LegalZoom on the other two cases. I just wished LegalZoom would have said, “Sorry, can't help you,” or, ”Wow, this is getting a little bit more complicated” on that one case. But there was no human interface there too. So I understood. I understand that it isn’t perfect and that there are limitations.

LegalZoom response

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: July 12, 2020

Everybody from LegalZoom I talked to has been helpful. However, sometimes, I'll explain to each person, "This is all new to me. So, please talk to me like I'm really like a dummy at it.'' Because it's all new to me, I wanna make sure it's right. Then I'll speak to a next person, and they'll tell me something new. I'll speak to the next person, and again, I'll learn something new. Today, I spoke with the bank because they told me I had to call the bank about what papers to give them. They told me to give them two papers but I wanted to make sure with the bank because my bank doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm an independent person with no business, but I was just doing my will and trust, so when I pass away, my son gets my money. So they told me the money has to go in a trust. I didn't know that. But then again, the rep from my bank wasn't sure either. So, my bank is giving me a hard time. They can't even answer me. I called my 1-800 number.

It was disappointing and customer service is not what it used to be. I've seen LegalZoom on TV. I know Robert Shapiro and I'm like, "They look like a reputable company." That was why I went with them. Then like six months ago, I reached out to one of the people and I said, "Hey, can you send me some email? Just read up on it, so I can understand and learn about it. When I'm ready, I'll call you." I called that same guy. He said, "Here's my number." After he got me going, it was like after the third question and they wanted to get paid. Then everybody's very helpful but it seemed like after I had a couple questions here and there, I would contact that same guy and it would seem like I was bothering him. I didn't like that feeling that before I paid, they were very eager to answer any questions that I had. But after, it seemed like I was bothering him. So after that point, I never called back and asked for him or his extension or anything.

The people are good. Somebody always tells you something new that the previous guy didn't tell. I always say, "Is there anything you can think of that I should know or make sure I shouldn't do? Because this is all new to me. Just advice or whatever you can throw my way." Then they sent me out the card, but they put the wrong address. I had the wrong address for my son. They assumed he lived with me. I wish he did, but he doesn't. So I had to call back and I said, "No, that's not it. It's one digit off." The funny thing is, they didn't even ask me for his address. I called back and spoke to another guy, and I said, "Don't you need the address?" He's kind of yes and kind of no. So, I said, "Okay, well then, let me give you the address." Then the card comes, and he didn't even take the address that I gave him, which is where my son lives.

I had a problem and we made an appointment to speak to a lawyer on Monday. So, the guy helped me and he said, "Okay, let me see what she's got available." He said Monday was okay. This was last Friday and I thought that was not too long. He then said, "Oh, no." Come to find out it's the next Monday. So I said, "That's okay. I understand what's going on." But then I got an email from them stating, "Oh, your request that you put in for your attorney, you didn't finish it or you didn't complete it." So, then on Monday I tried to get a hold of the guy has been helping me. I spoke to a different guy who said, "Yeah, you're booked." But then he checked the notes and said, "Oh, I see the note here. They didn't have you booked." Other than those, everything has been completed and the people were very nice and patient with me.

LegalZoom response

Hi Denise. We are truly sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. Thanks for the feedback, we'll work on making this a better experience.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I started working with LegalZoom several years ago. But most of the reason why I decided to work with them now for a couple of provisional patents, and I'm one second away from filing my non-provisional patent application, is that it’s really an apples to apples comparison. They’re drastically less expensive than going through the Yellow Pages and trying to find a patent broker or a patent attorney. Their rates are sometimes six and seven times more than the process usually takes with LegalZoom.

There’s also the option with LegalZoom to be able to do things on your own which is super inexpensive. If you need any expert advice, you can either pay for packages that are all-inclusive or you can talk to an attorney on an hourly basis. It’s a great service and it’s like a no-brainer to use them. My last patent, which is still in process, I used a patent agent which was a little bit less expensive, probably half the amount of money than a patent attorney. I was just, “You know what? I'm gonna go through LegalZoom.”

LegalZoom is a large website. It’s a more customer-service oriented platform. An individual patent agent or patent attorney that will be like, “If you’re too argumentative or if you expect too much from me, I’ll just tell you to go find someone else, which I know that you’re never gonna do because you already paid me to put your application together.” That’s what happened with this guy. I would never get that from LegalZoom. Customer service is excellent. I don’t ever automate anything as far as LegalZoom. I always call and speak with people. There’s email to answer back and forth, but that’s only after I've had a chance to talk with them on the phone.

I’m highly satisfied with LegalZoom. With them, it’s all very transparent and self-explanatory. The caveat is to have a good idea about what to ask. Even if you’re using an expert service, you have to have a good amount of working knowledge of what it is that you’re trying to get accomplished so that you know if the person that’s working for you is doing a good job. Don’t just assume that if you have an idea that you’re looking to get patented that you’re gonna be able to hand over information. Also, assume that those individuals that are creating your patent have the same expertise that you have. That’s not always the case.

I had an intimate understanding of what I was trying to patent, so that when I got the application back, the drafts from the attorney, that I had enough knowledge to be able to say, “Don’t you think you need to put this in?” or “Maybe we can word this a little bit differently,” instead of just kinda taking them at their word because they’re a patent attorney.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jeffry, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: March 28, 2020

I live on Long Island, and I'm a laboratory director and a microbiologist. I started to be a customer about three years ago, and for whatever reason, I delayed revising my will. I didn't want to pay a lot of money, but now, our local county here is almost as bad as New York City as far as the Coronavirus numbers go including deaths. It made me think to update my will and a week ago, I found LegalZoom and filled in the details. I filled out the power of attorney too. It was very easy, and it went well. I'm meant to be able to have unlimited changes for up to 30 days as well and I had filled it out without considering my sons in the way of what exactly they wanted. I talked to them and now that I had more information, I went back on LegalZoom four days later and tried to change the details.

In doing so, I apparently started a new will and I was charged for it. However, on that particular account, it wouldn't take the additional amount thankfully. Now, I have been asked to work with CDC Ethiopia in their response to the Coronavirus in that country. As a global microbiology consultant, I do a lot of work in that sort of thing and I had been working with Ethiopia for two and a half years. I spent the month before Christmas in Ethiopia training people to be mentors and training them to train other people. I feel very strongly for Africa and when we are allowed to travel again, I will be going over there, but I also want to make sure my will is in order. Now that I have a lot of details with my two children and my three grandchildren about who gets what, I want to go in there before my 30 days is up.

Right now, my will is in disorder, but I hope to sort through it. It may have been something I did wrong and I want to be fair because I thought LegalZoom was really good company. They have a good reputation too. Still, if it's the way their system is designed, it shouldn't allow you to fill in another will and bill you for it. Also, I thought for a while that I could print the document. It wasn't clear if I should print it on my computer, which is fine, and I wasn't sure if it was an option to have it sent in a nice package. Overall, they gave good service and I really like the price. I resent paying $800 to regular lawyer when this is something that is easily done online, so that's perfect for me.

LegalZoom response

Hi Martin. First, we'd like to thank you for your service during this time. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your experience. We want to make sure everything is fully resolved and your will is now in order. Please feel free to reach out to a manager directly at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I purchased an LLC Thru Legal Zoom. Cost totaled to $641 which was already expensive but I just went ahead and did it anyway because I desperately needed protection for my business. 2 weeks later I was charged an additional $250 from Legal zoom for a separate fee that I had no knowledge about. When I called they refused to reverse the transaction and is making me dispute thru my bank. Do yourself a favor and find a better company to handle your business affairs. Legal zoom is a rip off, they advertise low cost upfront fees with expensive hidden fees.

LegalZoom response

Hi Zach. It sounds like you're referring to our registered agent subscription charges. Our registered agent service is only offered as an option to our business customers. All fees are outlined in the questionnaire, order review prior to payment and your order confirmation receipt. We truly apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding. We'd like to review your account and determine how we can help resolve things right away.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Legal Zoom are good sales people but they over promise and under deliver. I am still waiting for some of the services they sold me over one year later and all I get when I contact them is, "someone will be in touch" or, "sorry but you misunderstood and we do not include that service." I set up a company through them which is, a mess and worst, had them do my will which is and has been incomplete for over one year. Now they want to renew me and suddenly, they are communicating again!! Buyer beware, lots of hype and no delivery.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I'm satisfied with what LegalZoom has done. But I don't like how much of my data that they've sold to outsource companies though. Earlier today I was on the phone for 30 minutes from a tax person, which I've never reached out to, nor do I need one because this is a low-income business and don't plan on growing it at all. Then there were all the emails that come attached to it. I just wish it was a more professional environment. None of this would happen if I went to an actual lawyer's office. I wouldn't have all these follow up outsource companies trying to touch base with me to make money. This is the only drawback and it is a major drawback ‘cause they offer some great prices for what they do, but I respect my privacy. I'm hiring lawyers, essentially, or lawyer’s aides. They're in a professional realm and they've gone beyond the professional environment by overstepping on people’s privacy.

I haven't even looked at the competitors. I looked at LegalZoom several times. They’re an all-in-one package, which is very handy. I like that they have these other services. I'm not anti like, “If you would like this, please check this box and we'll have somebody reach out from this other company to help. Help with your taxes or help with your insurance was another one.” But I'm not choosing to receive those phone calls. They're selling my information to other companies and that’s just illegal. If I were to talk to a firefighter or police officer, I don't want them to give away my driver's license to someone. Or a doctor, I don't want a doctor to give away my personal information, nor would I want a lawyer to, which is what they're doing. What they gave me was great. I just see this as a major violation, though.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jeff. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We appreciate the feedback and we'll work on making this a better experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I went for an incorporation through LegalZoom. I did everything online without help. LegalZoom was on it really quickly and they got it done. They made it really easy for me when I wanted to open a corporation and start a business.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sean. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I've never started a business before, so working with LegalZoom seemed like a good way to start if we have all the forms and papers. I started an LLC, I got a registered agent. Getting everything started was easy, but now I'm at a standstill when I don't know what's going on. I'm pretty sure COVID slowed everything down, but my package, at the beginning of August, said that my order had been shipped. But I don't know where it was shipped to 'cause ain't nothing hit my mailbox. Last time I talked to somebody, I was told that once it got to state, it would do this and that, I would get some forms in, I'd have to scan and sign and send back. It's been about six weeks now and I haven't seen anything in my mailbox or emails. I'm also having this issue whenever I call, there's anywhere from an hour and a half to four-hour wait. It says there's an option to do a callback, but it never gives me a number to do that callback.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sean. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We appreciate the feedback and we'll work on making this a better experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

LegalZoom Company Information