2.21/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For 20 years, LegalZoom has helped millions of customers get professional help for their individual needs at a reasonable price.

483 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 12, 2019

I looked more on the funding the companies had received and how they were working in the start-up space. LegalZoom seemed to be the best funded based off their ideas, which I thought was important. They have pretty good partnerships with the 1-800Accountant and stuff like that, so it's like a one-stop shop. The customer service is great. You can go online and set an appointment. If there's something that needs to be done, they would send you an email. And if you don't reply to that email or do this, they would give you a call. So, it's kinda nice when you're running your own business to have somebody above you. I did the LLC creation and I used the Business Advantage.

I started my first business in September of 2017 and I've been a customer for almos two years. I would advise anybody that does business with them to go ahead. If you're making the LLC, getting the LLC package, or corporation package, to pay for the most expensive option because then that comes with an organized little binder, which I thought was that was pretty convenient for me. Also, the first time I did it, I didn't know, so I chose the cheapest option and it was everywhere. I definitely would advise to go with the higher-up ones, so you can get that binder and take care of everything. And I really like the compliance calendar because that's always a hassle.

My most recent with them was also creating another LLC. Since it was a little more complicated, they introduced me to a service that you don't really even find online, where they kind of take care of the legal. They have an accountant in-house that helps you as well with everything. However, then they realized, and this went on with the relationship which kinda sucked, they realized that doing investment advisors and the financial planners is a little more complicated than they expected. I appreciated that they were honest with me on the legal side and basically told me , "Hey, we don't have any lawyers that work with us and that are really specialists with that."

So, I appreciated that they were honest with me and basically told me that they didn't have the required education to do what I needed done. Aside from LegalZoom, I had a lawyer that I spoke with, like that one lawyer. But I think that's pretty cool. I think that would be really convenient for a lot of other businesses. Sadly, it just didn't really work out well with mine. But I think with anything else, it would probably work really well.

LegalZoom response

Hi Victor, we really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was looking up some legal information for starting a company a couple of years ago through a search engine, and LegalZoom came up. I started a company, a LLC, with LegalZoom. I have two of them with LegalZoom now. The first time I worked with them was November of 2017. I started was a livestream company, and then the second one that I started here recently was a music label.

I liked LegalZoom's ease of service and payment plan options. They take care of everything for you, so that’s actually what made it more appealing to me. I didn’t have to do any of the legwork. They took care of everything for me from the beginning. I just paid for it straight out, and they took care of everything else. I wanted to get it started early, so I ordered their express package. And within like two weeks, everything was done - business formation and all the paperwork, so it was great.

LegalZoom offers incentives, and they help you with getting company banking stuff, bank accounts and credit cards. So, both times that I started the companies with them, they sent me offers for accounts and credit cards for the company itself. But they also give you instructions on what you’ll need. If you have your own bank, they give you instructions of what you actually need and what to bring with you if you go to your own bank, if you need to apply for accounts for your company. They even offered tax services. So, if you need help with the tax of running your own company, they assist you with that.

Since I travel a lot and I’m always on the go, they have an app that kinda sends me notifications if there's something that I haven't done that I need to do. So, the interaction with them is always good.They’ve been great to work with. They've been great to use. I would definitely recommend them to anybody who's trying to start their own business.

LegalZoom response

Hi Wesley, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Everything was fine with LegalZoom. I've used it off and on for several years and did some estate planning, a deed, and a living will. Recently, I used it to set up an LLC corporation. They did a great job with getting my company set up. It was done very quickly and LegalZoom did what it’s supposed to do. The forms are easy. However, some are so snobbish that they're offended by looking at a LegalZoom document.

I was trying to do the work for this rich guy and LegalZoom was beneath him. He kept complaining about what I did on a LegalZoom file. It was the craziest thing I've ever heard. I never would have thought someone is offended by a legal document. I told him, "If you don't like it, it's a contract. Just change it or send it to your attorneys and have them modified. If you wanna spend money, spend the money." I was saving him time by doing an employment contract. Then he didn't wanna pay me so I didn't go work for him. But I think LegalZoom is great. I like the simplicity of it. It covers everything. It is a good service and I’ll use it again.

LegalZoom response

Troy, thank you so much for taking the time to leave this excellent review. We really appreciate your business. Please let us know what we can do for you in the future.

Resolution response: March 29, 2019

They acknowledged and agreed to review the process.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I am putting this review to get LegalZoom to change their process to include an additional step for their clients. While all the proper forms were completed as ordered and a timely receipt of the final package was fine. What frustrated me was (1) the many attempts to get through to their support phone line even when I agreed to wait for a call back vs waiting on the line. (2) Once I got through the next morning, I inquired why my LLC did not appear in the FL Sunbiz system which was an embarrassment after trying to set up a business account with this information. I was told that I would need to call the State of Florida to find out why the info was not shown. My expectation was that LZ had vetted to make sure this was visible within the specific State system or they should have added that as an action item for me to do. MAYBE ADD THIS TO THEIR LETTER WHEN RETURNING THE FINAL DOCUMENTS FROM THE STATE.

LegalZoom response

Hi Margaret, your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

About 5 years ago, my wife and I decided to start an LLC with the goal of making mobile games. Seemed like a fun way to pass the time and possibly lucrative, but we knew absolutely nothing about starting a company. If we had, we might not have felt the need to use LegalZoom, but honestly we were the exact demographic they were looking for: we had all the knowledge of the product, and we needed someone else to provide the knowledge and assistance in starting the business.

We formed the LLC through them, which was relatively expensive compared to doing it ourselves but honestly alleviated a lot of the nervousness we had about forgetting something, missing something, etc. The process was easy, the phone calls were simple, and they even sent us this really neat binder full of papers we never used... but it's made out of a cool material and has our company name stamped on it. Oh, and a company stamp too. Again, we never used this stuff and they can probably mass produce hundreds for a few dollars, but you know what? Those are cool little things we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and will make nice collectible memorabilia.

Anyhow, we also signed up for their Registered Agent Service, because we wanted to keep our home address off the company paperwork, as well as did the first annual report through them. That annual report is actually super easy to do on your own, though, so that's entirely up to you. Again: we did it through them for peace of mind.

Now, the service I signed up for DID add a few things I didn't actually want or need as a "recurring" charge, and after Googling the company that scared the crap out of me. I was afraid they had me locked in for years to come, and would charge me to the ends of time. The only way to cancel was through phone, and I was prepared to get trapped on the phone for hours trying to cancel but being given the runaround.

Except... that didn't happen. I was on the phone less than 10 minutes, most of that was waiting queue time, and they cancelled without a fuss and without asking me to reconsider. Just a "Ok, that's cancelled. What about the registered agent service? Keep that? Ok, all done". The dread I had of the deed was actually far far worse than the deed itself. Honestly, I've had a much harder time cancelling our stupid web hosting. (Not going to name and shame here, but I strongly recommend picking your hosts carefully...)

The LLC didn't really work out (day jobs just got in the way of really making a good product), so we voluntarily dissolved it recently. I just got off the call to end the recurring charge for the Registered Agent that was going to trigger in June, and again it was a really clean and simple process. The guy on the phone had me cancelled in a couple minutes, and then said that I'd be refunded the remaining amount that I'd have been charged between now and June; it'll be back on my CC in 3-5 days.

Tl;dr - I felt the need to write this review because I didn't feel like LegalZoom was a 1.1 star experience. They did exactly what I was looking for them to do, charged exactly what they said they would charge, and while they did add on other recurring charges that I wasn't expecting, I was able to cancel those pretty easily. None of their phone people harassed me during the cancellation, and all together the entire experience was pleasant.

LegalZoom response

Hi Chris, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Several years ago, I found LegalZoom on the internet by searching and made up some documents that time. This last time, I knew it was there, so I went right back, signed up and had some documents made. I made up a last will and testament, power of attorney-in-fact and power of attorney-medical. I found LegalZoom relatively easy to use their service, and it was reasonably priced. It met all my requirements and allowed me to get some stuff done. I’m very happy with it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I've used LegalZoom's services for about a year now, mostly trademarks and chasing down a patent. Using them is terribly convenient, and it's a lot easier than hiring a lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I heard about LegalZoom through a friend. And my boyfriend at the time I got LegalZoom had just opened up a business and he had told me about it. And I’ve referred several people to LegalZoom to do the same. I used them for opening up a business here in California, and an S corporation. I also used them to dissolve a business in North Carolina. The only issue with the one in North Carolina was I didn't realize that there was a little bit of question that they had to come back and forth with me with. But opening up the new business was fine.

LegalZoom response

Hi Patricia, thank you for your kind words and for trusting us so many times with your business needs.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

We were looking to get help to establish a non-profit organization and we heard someone else had used LegalZoom and that it went smoothly. Then the one time we were on the phone with LegalZoom, the person was very helpful.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for your review, Rebecca. It's our job to be helpful where needed, glad to see that reflected in your experience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I tried talking to a different lawyer and I had a hard time getting in. They kept putting me off so I thought of giving the internet a try and I used LegalZoom for a deed transfer on a house. They were pretty much straightforward and did what they were supposed to do. I was happy with them. Everything was pretty good. We had a little trouble with the filing on it, but it was no big deal. I'd probably use LegalZoom again and I would recommend them.

LegalZoom response

Hi Michael, we're so happy to hear we could be there when you needed us. Thanks for taking time out to leave this review and please do not hesitate to contact us with anything else!

LegalZoom expert review by Michael Nranian

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of Michael Nranian
Michael Nranian Invention and Patent Services Expert

Michael Nranian, a licensed patent attorney, has over 30 years of experience in product development, intellectual property, patent litigation, legal and technical compliance, and product liability litigation.

LegalZoom Company Information