2. Legal Services
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.14/5

For 20 years, LegalZoom has helped millions of customers get professional help for their individual needs at a reasonable price.

LegalZoom Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I had done one thing through Rocket Lawyer but they had a glitch in their system and a lot of my contracts got messed up. I was trying to close a deal and I needed to find somewhere that I could get templates at that met the needs of the people that I needed. LegalZoom had it. I was new to the system so when you first start out, it’s gonna be like, “Okay, what is this? Is this the right one?" With Rocket Lawyer, you can see how they just have a click button that has multiple templates available immediately as soon as you go in there. LegalZoom, on the other hand, was more informative on top of everything else. A lot of times, I already knew a lot of their formal information. I was getting trapped between their formal information versus the templates. I just wound up clicking on more tabs than I actually needed to. But I realized how to separate the two.

Rocket Lawyer has an easier layout. But LegalZoom has a lot more references because a lot of other people had told me about it. I just started with it, so it might not be as complicated as it was when I first started using it. I might get familiar with it. It’s not one that I would just say I'm done with it and I’m not gonna do that. Also, the process with LegalZoom doesn’t take a lot longer than Rocket Lawyer. It's probably less than 10 to 15 minutes. As long as you know your information and you have the stuff in front of you, you’re just plugging the information in and you’re reading what it’s saying to make sure to plug in the right information. That really depends on a person’s comprehension skills.

LegalZoom response

Hi Aaron, glad we could help. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I was doing some research to do my will, and LegalZoom's name came up. I also spoke to an individual at a cemetery as far as getting plots, and he said that he had used LegalZoom. So, that reinforced my intentions to go through LegalZoom. We did the will, the living will, and the power of attorney through them. The conversations I had with different people were good. They helped me out.

The one thing that was confusing to me was as I got to the end, I must’ve created a file without realizing it. And then I had to go back and redo it and revisit the whole thing. I’m divorced and I was looking for a spot for my ex-wife and that did not appear. So, I got to the end and then I had to go all the way back. Someone there at LegalZoom said, “No, we don’t have a category ex-wife. We only have friend.” So, I put that. It just seemed like a weak description of my ex-wife. I would have liked to have something that wasn’t friend. I used friend for my ex-wife. The thing is when my kids get to the will and she’s described as a friend as opposed to ex-wife, I think it’s gonna be more harsh for the kids.

When it came to the living will where they send you cards, that was held up because they couldn’t fit my address on the card. And we were trying to shorten it to make it fit. But then, they never finalized it, so it was still coming up as incomplete like a week later. So, I called back, and then the person I dealt with had figured it out, and it went smoothly from there. There are still questions though. You don’t really know if it’s a legal document or if it was done properly until you’re dead. Other than that, everything appears to be in order and it should go through smoothly.

LegalZoom response

Hi John, we appreciate your sharing your review and for the feedback. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I saw a commercial for LegalZoom. I checked it and looked through it, and I decided to go with it. As far as cost, it was much cheaper than going through a regular attorney and spending all that money. Signing up with them was simple to do. I just followed the steps and filled in the blanks. But I had a problem. Another account got into my email somehow and I was getting emails for another gentleman that was in another state. I went online to check my account and I saw the information. I went in under my password, my email address, and everything. And that was when I saw that information. My name, address, state, everything was changed to his address and state, which was in California, and I’m in Arizona. I immediately called LegalZoom. They didn’t know how that happened, but they did correct it. I was told to just go back in, remove all that and put my information in there. And then they removed the rest of the information out of the system.

The gentleman I talked to was very helpful. He saw the mistake so he had to go to management. I was on the phone for several minutes ‘til he got back to me. Because according to them, they hadn’t seen anything like that. They were confused. But he was very helpful and very attentive to my needs. He did take care of the situation for me. So far, everything seems to be fine. I had the living trust and a living will. And they sent me the paperwork and everything was done very well. They got quality paper and the binder that they put it in was very professional. I’m very pleased with it. I just have to get everything notarized, get everything signed and make it official.

LegalZoom response

Hi Noel, glad we were able to work out your problem. Thanks for trusting us and for sharing your experience.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I looked more on the funding the companies had received and how they were working in the start-up space. LegalZoom seemed to be the best funded based off their ideas, which I thought was important. They have pretty good partnerships with the 1-800Accountant and stuff like that, so it's like a one-stop shop. The customer service is great. You can go online and set an appointment. If there's something that needs to be done, they would send you an email. And if you don't reply to that email or do this, they would give you a call. So, it's kinda nice when you're running your own business to have somebody above you. I did the LLC creation and I used the Business Advantage.

I started my first business in September of 2017 and I've been a customer for almos two years. I would advise anybody that does business with them to go ahead. If you're making the LLC, getting the LLC package, or corporation package, to pay for the most expensive option because then that comes with an organized little binder, which I thought was that was pretty convenient for me. Also, the first time I did it, I didn't know, so I chose the cheapest option and it was everywhere. I definitely would advise to go with the higher-up ones, so you can get that binder and take care of everything. And I really like the compliance calendar because that's always a hassle.

My most recent with them was also creating another LLC. Since it was a little more complicated, they introduced me to a service that you don't really even find online, where they kind of take care of the legal. They have an accountant in-house that helps you as well with everything. However, then they realized, and this went on with the relationship which kinda sucked, they realized that doing investment advisors and the financial planners is a little more complicated than they expected. I appreciated that they were honest with me on the legal side and basically told me , "Hey, we don't have any lawyers that work with us and that are really specialists with that."

So, I appreciated that they were honest with me and basically told me that they didn't have the required education to do what I needed done. Aside from LegalZoom, I had a lawyer that I spoke with, like that one lawyer. But I think that's pretty cool. I think that would be really convenient for a lot of other businesses. Sadly, it just didn't really work out well with mine. But I think with anything else, it would probably work really well.

LegalZoom response

Hi Victor, we really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was looking up some legal information for starting a company a couple of years ago through a search engine, and LegalZoom came up. I started a company, a LLC, with LegalZoom. I have two of them with LegalZoom now. The first time I worked with them was November of 2017. I started was a livestream company, and then the second one that I started here recently was a music label.

I liked LegalZoom's ease of service and payment plan options. They take care of everything for you, so that’s actually what made it more appealing to me. I didn’t have to do any of the legwork. They took care of everything for me from the beginning. I just paid for it straight out, and they took care of everything else. I wanted to get it started early, so I ordered their express package. And within like two weeks, everything was done - business formation and all the paperwork, so it was great.

LegalZoom offers incentives, and they help you with getting company banking stuff, bank accounts and credit cards. So, both times that I started the companies with them, they sent me offers for accounts and credit cards for the company itself. But they also give you instructions on what you’ll need. If you have your own bank, they give you instructions of what you actually need and what to bring with you if you go to your own bank, if you need to apply for accounts for your company. They even offered tax services. So, if you need help with the tax of running your own company, they assist you with that.

Since I travel a lot and I’m always on the go, they have an app that kinda sends me notifications if there's something that I haven't done that I need to do. So, the interaction with them is always good.They’ve been great to work with. They've been great to use. I would definitely recommend them to anybody who's trying to start their own business.

LegalZoom response

Hi Wesley, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: April 2, 2020

I had a great experience with LegalZoom. I used them for a one-time contract for my boyfriend to sell a lawnmower. Finding my particular item was easy. I searched "sell my lawnmower" and it went right to them and the documents that I needed. I filled out the information and printed it.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I've been with Legal Zoom since 2015 and since then, being their customer has been really easy. I've done my second incorporation through them and their site has been very user-friendly. People should try it.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Things have been good with Legal Zoom. I did our rules with them years ago and more recently, I had those updated, including our health surrogate and durable power of attorney.

Original review: March 29, 2020

It was working out good with LegalZoom in the beginning, then I had to pay for that lawyer stuff. They only gave a 15-day subscription for it and it started before I got all my paperwork and before I had any questions. By the time I got everything settled out, that part of the stuff was already gone. But other than that, it's been all right. I've used them a couple of years ago for a will and a couple of generic contracts.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I like how Legal Zoom is set up as well as how easy it is to maneuver their website and get everything I need for my business. I did my registered agency through them and it was really easy. If people are looking for a business or to get some personal legal matters done, Legal Zoom is one of the best places to go to.

LegalZoom expert review by Michael Nranian

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

by Michael Nranian Invention and Patent Services Expert

Michael Nranian, a licensed patent attorney, has over 30 years of experience in product development, intellectual property, patent litigation, legal and technical compliance, and product liability litigation.

LegalZoom Company Information