1.15/5

Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

276 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

They definitely helped me get all set up, but I felt like I paid a heck of a lot to not even get one piece advise for my taxes. I expressed to the agent I really needed help and he said "well that help isn't free". I said, "Well that's not what was portrayed" and that I shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks for one question, I could ask some tax guy and he wouldn't do that. The agent said "then go find one then..." Really rude and unprofessional. I'm taking my business elsewhere as I write.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Submitted for a Gold Express package on 1/17/19 for $399. It is February 15th and the status for my LLC on the LegalZoom site says "Delayed by the state. Taking longer than expected." I needed the LLC quickly to get banking setup, but understand sometimes things are out of our control and the state may be behind. After trying to contact LegalZoom with no response I decided to search for my LLC on the state site, sure enough it was there and was approved just days after I submitted, which is great, but why does LegalZoom not know this? Why won't they respond? I wasted crucial weeks waiting for them when it was complete the entire time. I would recommend doing any sort of work they provide elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

About 5 years ago, my wife and I decided to start an LLC with the goal of making mobile games. Seemed like a fun way to pass the time and possibly lucrative, but we knew absolutely nothing about starting a company. If we had, we might not have felt the need to use LegalZoom, but honestly we were the exact demographic they were looking for: we had all the knowledge of the product, and we needed someone else to provide the knowledge and assistance in starting the business.

We formed the LLC through them, which was relatively expensive compared to doing it ourselves but honestly alleviated a lot of the nervousness we had about forgetting something, missing something, etc. The process was easy, the phone calls were simple, and they even sent us this really neat binder full of papers we never used... but it's made out of a cool material and has our company name stamped on it. Oh, and a company stamp too. Again, we never used this stuff and they can probably mass produce hundreds for a few dollars, but you know what? Those are cool little things we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and will make nice collectible memorabilia.

Anyhow, we also signed up for their Registered Agent Service, because we wanted to keep our home address off the company paperwork, as well as did the first annual report through them. That annual report is actually super easy to do on your own, though, so that's entirely up to you. Again: we did it through them for peace of mind.

Now, the service I signed up for DID add a few things I didn't actually want or need as a "recurring" charge, and after Googling the company that scared the crap out of me. I was afraid they had me locked in for years to come, and would charge me to the ends of time. The only way to cancel was through phone, and I was prepared to get trapped on the phone for hours trying to cancel but being given the runaround.

Except... that didn't happen. I was on the phone less than 10 minutes, most of that was waiting queue time, and they cancelled without a fuss and without asking me to reconsider. Just a "Ok, that's cancelled. What about the registered agent service? Keep that? Ok, all done". The dread I had of the deed was actually far far worse than the deed itself. Honestly, I've had a much harder time cancelling our stupid web hosting. (Not going to name and shame here, but I strongly recommend picking your hosts carefully...)

The LLC didn't really work out (day jobs just got in the way of really making a good product), so we voluntarily dissolved it recently. I just got off the call to end the recurring charge for the Registered Agent that was going to trigger in June, and again it was a really clean and simple process. The guy on the phone had me cancelled in a couple minutes, and then said that I'd be refunded the remaining amount that I'd have been charged between now and June; it'll be back on my CC in 3-5 days.

Tl;dr - I felt the need to write this review because I didn't feel like LegalZoom was a 1.1 star experience. They did exactly what I was looking for them to do, charged exactly what they said they would charge, and while they did add on other recurring charges that I wasn't expecting, I was able to cancel those pretty easily. None of their phone people harassed me during the cancellation, and all together the entire experience was pleasant.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Do not sign up with this company, they are scamming people and charging people fees and are prohibiting customers from cancelling without providing extra state documentation that is unnecessary. The certificate of change form which has to be sent to you by the state was delayed due to the government shutdown and they charged my bank account - when I called a month prior - after I received my first paycheck in weeks, I called in January and cancelled and sent my paperwork to the NY state office and it was delayed due to the shutdown. What they have done to me and my family is evil, as I just received my paycheck for my family after not having any money to feed my family and they do this. This is criminal. If anyone is interested in teaming together to do a class action lawsuit please contact me.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I agree with all that is said here. We contacted them when we started about the Auto Renew of this b.s. scam for California Registered Agent. We just got charged $399.00 (without any notification mind you except from our bank) for this ridiculous non-sensical business for a new company. The Auto Renew was set for $159.00 (which we were forced to accept after gaining their services to form the LLC, never mentioned as such when we signed up) AND, you can't opt of the Auto renew! It's impossible unless you block/cancel your credit card from more fraudulent charges, especially without prior notification. Sound shady? It is.

LegalZoom also shows on their b.s. search pages that California charges up to $500 for this service, but a quick internet search will show you that CA companies offer this service (quality, accredited and verified services) for a FRACTION of the price. Now I'm sure they will post below LegalZoom is so sorry about this inconvenience and misunderstanding, they want to correct this, customer service is their priority and to contact one of their managers or reps. Blah blah blah. Good luck with that! They should be contacting all of these people they scam like this. Stay clear.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Absolutely got scammed by LegalZoom. Bought the best of the best LLC package they had for $900 and they somehow got themselves anything $250 for what, not even sure. Customer service won't help you. The only way to get your money back is to make legal changes to the documents and resubmit them. Funny thing is clearly most don't know how to do that because that's why we hire LegalZoom. How disgusting that they rip off small business owner when we are the most vulnerable. I could have had a normal attorney draw these papers cheaper!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

They are IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of. I started an LLC three years ago with them and utilized their registered agent service initially because it was easier to package it all together. Each year, I just let it auto renew because it was affordable (at $159/yr). Well this year, just one month before my registered agent was set to expire, I received an email stating that my new registered agent fee would jump up to $399/yr unless I found a new registered agent and showed the necessary paperwork to cancel before the expiration date.

I scrambled to do this and found a new registered agent, filed the necessary paperwork with the state, and sent that information to LegalZoom within the correct time frame. It's been 13 days (8 business days) and they still have not gotten back to me, even though I did everything necessary according to their website. Their initial email robo-response said I would hear back from them in two business days and my cancellation would be reviewed/confirmed within 3-7 business days. I have heard nothing.

My account currently says "past due" even though, as I said many times before, I already canceled with them. I'm glad I removed the auto-pay option from my account, otherwise who knows how much I'd be charged for at this point. I've reached out to them several times and have still heard nothing back. You have to work pretty hard to earn a bad review from me, so kudos on that, LegalZoom. Avoid them at (literally) all costs.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Back in November LZ took out 4 in authorized payments which were refunded to me. I also cancelled all memberships with them at that time. Here we are in February and I received another unauthorized payment of $467 from an account which I do not have the debit card to anymore. I called and asked about the payment and they said they were LLC payments which made no sense. Then I ask them how did they get money from my account when I no longer have the debit card and she said they called my bank and got my info. I had my boyfriend call and speak to someone else and they gave him a completely different story. Not only that but the woman I talked to started yelling at me like I was a child so I hung up on her. I am still trying to resolve this matter. They are terrible people. This company needs to be shut down. I didn't even want to give them the 1 star.

LegalZoom response

Hi Angelique, it's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We’re very sorry about your experience thus far and we’d like to resolve things as well. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a loyal LegalZoom customer for a number of years and have completed quite a few business filings. This latest one makes me feel the company has been purchased by someone else or has become too large. The whole process has been ridiculous. Paid for the expedited service and it has been almost three weeks and the filing has just been sent to the state. The issues began with robocalls (although we requested to be contacted by email) telling us there was a problem with the filing. It takes an average of 45-60 minutes to get to the correct person to find out the issue. The last two times were asking the same question each time. (What is the registered agent's email.) Very annoying to call, spend an hour answering the same call we already answered twice before (once on the phone when I registered) and then a call two days before.

Then today yet another robocall (third this week) saying there was an issue with the filing. Called and spent 15 minutes to get to right department (transferred by the original operator.) Then opted for a return call in 45-52 minutes as opposed to waiting on hold. Waited an hour, received a call from the robocall and then sat another 25 minutes on hold waiting to speak to someone. Why are you calling me when there is not someone available? Spoke to a condescending supervisor named Chris **, who told me "Good news. Today's call was to tell me that the filing had been sent to the state." Seriously I just spent 1 1/2 hours calling you back to be told this? After the other multiple calls this week and the week before from you?

I told Chris they have wasted far too much of my time and they owe me a discount. He said "No, we don't offer those for having you call us." He missed the point completely and was terrible with customer service. The filing should have happened weeks ago, I have had multiple robocalls when I told them I wanted to be contacted by email and I have wasted hours calling them back due to their issues. Won't use this company ever again and will make sure I share this information with our local chamber of commerce and BBB office.

LegalZoom response

Hi Todd, we try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We are truly sorry for the poor experience. You deserve better and we’d like to fully review the details of your account. Please feel free to contact a manager directly.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I feel like I am being pillaged by the mob. I swear this company gets it hooks into you and at every opportunity ka ching, ka ching, ka ching. The service provider I am speaking empathizes with me and is awesome. But the machine that is LegalZoom is akin to highway robbery. Do not USE this service. Go to a local lawyer, pay the extra which is not extra because LegalZoom is SO much more expensive. It sucks.

LegalZoom response

We couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience. Things usually go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. We’d like to review your concerns further and try our best to turn things around for the better. Please contact us directly.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

A friend recommended that I try LegalZoom for an issue I was having but when I went to their website, I didn't see the type of advice I needed. So I emailed a question to Legal Zoom and they advised me to call their 800 number. I did just that this morning and I was connected to Alex who seemed in a hurry and annoyed. I told him I wasn't that familiar with LegalZoom. He then explained that I would get to speak to an attorney and things like that. I didn't quite understand what he meant by "Things like that" so I asked him, "What kind of things." And with that, he rudely hung up the phone on me. In a way, I'm kind of glad he did because I don't see myself having any dealings with LegalZoom. Thank you Alex for saving me some money and not having to deal with the likes of you again.

LegalZoom response

Hi JD, we're truly sorry about what occurred with your customer care experience. We’d like to try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I opened an LLC with LegalZoom and am using their registered agent service and also used them to foreign qualify in a different state. I needed to update information in my profile about my business in order to access the compliance calendar for my new foreign qualification. I updated my information but the "save" button to save the updates was disabled and I was unable to make the necessary changes. I called customer service in order to update my information over the phone since they were required changes, only to be told repeatedly that it was my fault for the issue, and that it was due to my using an Apple device, because apparently LegalZoom's products do not work on Apple devices.

Obviously this is a problem that LegalZoom has to fix, however the customer service agent was extremely rude, kept repeating that it was my issue (even though it is an issue with the way their site is programmed), and that I just needed to find someone with a Windows computer to complete the form since they cannot even update my information in the system for me either. I will be looking for a new registered agent as soon as possible.

LegalZoom response

We couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience. Things usually go more smoothly and we truly apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. You deserve better and we’d like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My experience with them made everything harder and at a premium price. Not worth it at all. Terrible CS, terrible product! Everything took too long, they did not file paperwork at times and I had to call after months of waiting only to find out it was never addressed. They give your info out to companies that pester you with sales calls. Trust me, it would be a lot easier to do it yourself than to go through LegalZoom.

LegalZoom response

Hi David, we try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about your concerns and try to turn things around for the better. Please contact a manager directly with your order information & we’ll reach out to you right away.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

This company has almost non-existent customer service. They offer you every service they can think of and when you elect NOT to use the service, they put it on your order as a FREE TRIAL, so when you ask them to remove it, they don't and you end up getting billed. And after you recognize you're being overcharged, it's a legal battle to get a pathetic $39.99 back from them! It's like pulling teeth! I would hope they go under and out of business soon before they mess up more people's business opportunities and take money that is not earned!

LegalZoom response

Hi Jeremy, we are truly sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. We really want to make things right. Please contact a manager directly

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I can tell you from my own experience that they are extremely progressive and thorough during the purchasing and upsell processes. But once those are secured, your questions will remain mostly unanswered. My Account Specialist is not returning emails which are over 10 days old, and their online request form has remained unanswered for over 7 days now.

If you get stuck with this level of service with them, your most immediate responses will be from their online chat, once you have logged into your account, where the responder will be reading off a generalized script. And likely not answer your questions. I have used this service in the past, as have friends of mine, due to the ease of it. But regardless of your purchased package, you are still responsible for your own local & county licensing. It's just better to save your money, and do it all yourself. This is a lesson in always checking the current reviews, and not rely on any business based on its previous reputation. Especially in today's world of lacking customer service.

LegalZoom response

Hi Daniel, We really apologize for the poor experience you’ve had thus far. Your comments are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please be reassured that we will review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. We'd like to review your account and determine how we can help resolve things right away. Please contact a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I used LegalZoom to form my LLC in 2016 and hired them as my registered agent. A few months later I also used them to dissolve that same LLC. I kept them on as a registered agent for another year to receive mail and for tax services. It was at this point in 2018 I told them that their services were no longer needed as the company was out of business. Now in 2019 I find that they are charging me more than double what I paid in the previous year for essentially no service at all since my LLC is no longer in existence. Now I've been on hold for over an hour, the hold music has stopped and they won't pick up the phone or return my calls.

LegalZoom response

Hi Matthew, we truly apologize you didn't have the best experience and we have reached out to you directly in effort to resolve all your concerns. You deserved better and we have taken all steps to ensure complete cancellation of your LegalZoom agent subscription. If you have any additional questions or concerns please contact a manager again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I ordered the operating agreement and licensing to be set up for an LLC. It's been a month and they still haven't provided me with the paperwork stating that they are waiting for my signature. They haven't sent it via email or mail and they claim. I have called twice to complain and today was I call to ask about my order and to complain and before the agent place me on hold I hear the word "idiot" used. I'm the idiot for asking where my product is that I paid for? I waited on hold for 10 minutes and was just hung up on. I'm disgusted. I will be reporting them to the BBB.

LegalZoom response

Hi Lisa, we're very sorry about your experience and we'd like to help make things right. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

LegalZoom has collected money for an order 5 times, always failing to have it go through for some reason. During the entire process they have held my incorporation hostage, not releasing any information and not allowing the order to be cancelled. If I could give them 0 stars, I would.

LegalZoom response

Hi Adi, we couldn't be more apologetic about your experience. Things usually go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. We are happy to review your account details and do everything possible to resolve this expeditiously. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Company formed my LLC incorrectly after several communications with them about the purpose of my LLC and my business activities—and then told me over the phone this was my fault. Furthermore, after purchasing additional legal help from them I cannot access my account even after over ten tries—both electronically and via their customer service line.

LegalZoom response

Hi Mari, we are very sorry about what occurred with your order and with your customer care experience. We’d like to try to make things right. Please contact us directly with your order information & we’ll be sure to have a manager respond.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Over 4 years ago I used LegalZoom and everything was fine. I then filed for Standard Company Dissolution in South Carolina and everything went through (2016). Fast forward to 2019 and I just noticed that I have been billed for Express Gold. They charged my credit card for two payments of $207.99, of which I did not authorize. I am trying to contact them but it appears to very difficult in speaking with someone to get this resolved. I have contacted my bank and they have not released any funds.

LegalZoom response

Hi Robert, It's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Please be advised that we are unable to process any payment for orders not submitted via our website. We’d like to research your concerns more and help to resolve this right away. Please contact a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We filed our DBA paperwork on January 2nd, only for LegalZoom to flag it and return to us for a correction. Upon resubmitting the paperwork, we then received an onslaught of email notifications for the following week about a hold on our paperwork, as if an agent had never spoken with us and noted our account with the recent update. More time went by and conversations with multiple agents on the whereabouts of our updated documents. On January 22nd, we were told though our paperwork showed as received in their system from the post office, they were unable to locate it. Quote: "I don't know what happened. It's somewhere in the building. I'm not sure where. That's odd. Let's wait another 2-3 business days and see what happens."

This is unacceptable, made even worse by the fact that there was no supervisor available (all in meetings) to speak with. Now to see if our refund will be honored. All this precious time has been wasted, when we could've filed directly at our local office and had our documents approved by now. Do not allow incompetent people to handle your business affairs.

LegalZoom response

We're truly sorry about what occurred with your order and with your customer care experience. We’d like to try to make things right. Please feel free to contact us directly & we’ll be sure to have a manager respond.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My auto-renew with LegalZoom was linked to an expired card. Which is GOOD, because I didn't want it to auto-renew (just another annoying LegalZoom setting), so I found an alternative for a registered agent at a MUCH more reasonable rate and had to wait for that order to process before I could upload proof of my registered agent to LegalZoom's site. LegalZoom requires proof for some reason in order to cancel. (What business is it of theirs who I used as a registered agent? Or even if I have a registered agent?) I uploaded the proof and then saw that LegalZoom had ALREADY CHARGED ME. They had an OLD credit card number, linked to an OLD billing address and SOMEHOW it went through? Did they contact my credit card company and obtain the account number? Shady business, if you ask me. I won't let a $399 charge go quietly, however I'm sure I'll have to battle with them to get it back.

LegalZoom response

Hi Julie, we have no problem with refunding anything charged in error so you would never have to battle. A financial institution will never provide anyone with updated credit card information but if the accounts are linked, they still have the ability to process it. Although having LegalZoom serve as your agent has always been only an option, having an agent listed is required by the state. We’d like to resolve things with you asap. Please contact a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I used LegalZoom to file a TradeMark and they put in a "free 30-day" business plan. Of course, after 30 days, they billed me $39.99 per month. Why do they have to resort to such trickery? No doubt, there was some small-print disclosure (they have attorneys, after all). I, no doubt, accepted some 50 pages of terms and conditions somewhere along the line. So, yes, LegalZoom gets to keep my money. But, I can only hope they lose more when people start complaining.

LegalZoom response

Hi P, the legal advantage plan is clearly advertised on our website as being a part of the comprehensive package only. We offer our customers both a comprehensive package that includes the legal plan and the basic packages which stipulates the plan is not a part of. We are very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part and we're happy to review your account to resolve this to your satisfaction. Contact a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Used LegalZoom to form an LLC, all went well; however, upon dissolving the LLC it took multiple emails and telephone calls to have them end the automatic billing. I provided them with the termination of the LLC document from the state TWICE and still nothing. They did not even extend the courtesy of replying to my emails! Very disappointing! They were very fast to accept payment but stopping the payments was a different story. Will not do business with them again!

LegalZoom response

Hi Armando, we try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about your concerns and try to turn things around for the better. Please contact us with your order information & we’ll reach out to you right away.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I cancelled LegalZoom over a year ago and noticed they are still billing me. Watch your credit card or better yet, cancel your card, this is the second time this has happened with LegalZoom. On hold, hoping bank can resolve, I have not heard back from LegalZoom.

LegalZoom response

Hi Becky, we hate to hear you’re being charged for services after you contacted us to cancel We’d like to review your account to determine how this happened and help resolve this completely. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

They advertise trademark registration etc and taking care of everything. Months later I get notice from the USPTO trademark office. They need more information and then I sent to LegalZoom to complete. LegalZoom refuses to complete the work. They are rip off and only want your money. I advise NEVER do business with them!!!

LegalZoom response

Hi John, we offer the service of preparing & filing the application with the USPTO on your behalf. Our website states that we can not guarantee the outcome of the government decision. We are happy to review the additional information requested for explanation but the examining attorney will accept a response from you directly. In addition we also offer a legal plan where you can also consult with an attorney for advise on how to respond. If you have any questions, contact us.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I called in advance to be assured that they would open a pLLC in AZ. They assured me that they did and just to click the pLLC thing after signing up. It was close to $700 and I refused a registered agent or any of the other stuff they tried to cram down my throat. So then they called me and questioned it. I told them I wanted it. They then waffled around and made me feel like I needed an attorney that I had to wait a week to talk to (I bought expedited package). I called the Corporation board for the AZ state - they said I needed it. I told them I needed it and they then wanted my license. I sent it immediately. They still have a hold on it 3 days later. So much for expedited. It is just filling in forms. Easy. And a fee. Fee. Big deal. I can do that in 20 minutes or less! I am currently trying to get my money back. They need to be censored and people warned. I used them before without issue but what is the change suddenly? STAY AWAY from LegalZoom!!!

LegalZoom response

Hi Alison, our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time. We want to resolve this for you & we are truly sorry you haven't had the best experience this time around. Please contact a manager directly anytime.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

LegalZoom this year renewed my annual registered agent subscription at some ridiculous rate for some service I do not need without my positive approval without my knowledge. It took two calls and multiple emails to get credited the difference back. In that transaction however they “accidentally” changed the email on my account and now I can no longer access MY OWN account. I have called 5 times and spoken to 5 different people all who promised me that a supervisor will call me and take care of this.

Of course no one has called me and no one has followed up. I have sent multiple emails to the customer support email with no response. I have emailed a manager with no response. As of right now I can not get into my account, cannot remove my payment information and cannot get anyone to help me on the phone or via email. What I have found thru multiple calls is that the “customer service” line is actually manned by salespeople and if they get the idea that you will not be buying anything, they have no interest in helping you. SHAME ON YOU LEGALZOOM. Good concept with AWFUL service.

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been any dissatisfaction with our service. Our registered agent subscription fees were recently increased to include additional benefits important to many of our subscription members. We are truly sorry if the notification of the upgrade was not received & we’re glad you were able to get that resolved. We’d like to help you with your login situation. Please feel free to contact a manager directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This company played a trick on me. They helped me to form a company on Dec 21, 2017, and charged me Registered Agent for the year of 2017. On Jan 1 2018, they renewed the package without informing me. And on Jan 01 2019 they increased the service at an unacceptable price. The service had done nothing for me. This company will not help you to save money, they are trying to steal money from you. Stay away from this one!

LegalZoom response

Hi Hailey, the registered agent service is outlined as being auto-renewed annually until cancellation which can be done at any time as this is an optional service with LegalZoom. Recently our agent fees were increased to include additional benefits & notification were sent to our customer to make them aware. We apologize if this wasn't received in a timely fashion and we'd really like to resolve things and make your experience better. Please contact a manager directly.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

If you're going to start an LLC and get your LLC filed by an online company, please use BizFilings AND STAY AWAY FROM LegalZoom! I needed to form a PLLC and they were all about how they needed additional documentation and certain 'requirements' that only I could provide. In reality, they were just stalling and probably wanted more money. BizFilings was fast, efficient and courteous and they didn't delay my filings by asking for additional 'requirements.' Do yourself a favor, stay away from LegalZoom. BTW, if they are this bad at starting an LLC, maybe you should stay away from them period!

LegalZoom response

Hi Jay, we do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more details of your experience and learn how we could have improved.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs