LegalZoom

Compare Legal Services

Research top Legal Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

These guys do provide the bare minimum for business services for my LLC which I registered in a different state. What gets me is the sneaky recurring billing on their "free trial" services and the fact that you have to call them to be dissuaded from cancelling the service after you hit "cancel service." It's a tactic to make it easier to just let them keep billing. Once you do call, after about an hour on hold, there's always some reason you can't roll back their services. Dislike very much. But they've made it juuust more inconvenient to leave than to grin and bear it.

LegalZoom have been charging my credit card for services I, never asked for, even declined when they offered it. I had to call my bank to stop them. They took, $854 in 6days for imaginary services. Customer service was rude and unprofessional. I had to cancel my order in hiring them to create a company, then receive a refund from them. When, time to refund me my money came, they backed up and said they don't have to refund me and went further, asking remaining balance to pay them. Stay away from this company, they lie and will tell everything you want to, know to get on, hold of your credit card.

They are charging my credit card account without my knowledge. It was happened before. Again this happened on 7/2/17 and I am disputing charge in amount of $159.00. This is big problem if you do not see your statement. I do not have order no. but I have reference no.

First of all, if you need to speak with anyone expect to wait on hold for an hour (no joke!) and then when they finally answer, also don't be surprised if the connection disconnects! This has happened to me many times (and I have never left my seat at my desk). Also, if you think you are doing yourself a favor by opting into the call back from them... Good Luck if it actually happens. I am still waiting on my callback from 2 days ago! Seriously, I am a Business Owner and I will NEVER EVER use LegalZoom. It is not just this one time, I have created 4 LLC's with them and have paid them for all the "extra work" they do... Not worth a penny! The worst experience ever! Also, they are only asking for one order number that I am not happy with... I have three order numbers besides this one!

I paid LegalZoom to start an LLC, and bought the additional "expedite" option because my business had to be operational by a certain day to receive funding. Almost a month later, the state said that they had just received the paperwork, and that it would be 10-15 business days until completion, which would have ruined us. I asked if we could expedite, and they said they could for an additional fee, which LegalZoom had not paid. When I spoke to their very rude customer service, they explained that the additional fees I paid were to expedite LegalZoom's processes, and not the state's. I asked why I didn't have my papers completed within their estimated time frame, and they said that it was an estimation, and that it was ultimately in the hands of how quickly the state would process the papers, which is blatantly untrue, as the state explained that they didn't receive my papers until about 3 weeks after I had paid LegalZoom.

Ultimately, I paid a few times as much as I would have if I went directly to the state, and had to wait weeks longer than I otherwise would have. (The clerk at the dept. of commerce also said LegalZoom was a scam, and had no idea why people would use it.) Now I'm trying to cancel the auto renew, which they won't do until I have them removed as the Registered Agent on the LLC, which their terrible customer service rep very tersely explained. And they also snuck in a $30/month service in which the "first month is free" that I didn't notice for several months. When I tried to get a refund, they "transferred" me to that department, which just put me on hold for over an hour before I hung up... So, watch that fine print.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

First of all, they overcharge for what they are offering which I knew at the time but figured it was worth it to not have to deal with the hassle. Other than that? Ok let me tell you my experience. So they formed an LLC in the state of Washington for me back in March 2015, which went pretty smooth, or so I thought. In June, they call me telling me that they didn't file the paperwork correctly and that they would fix it since it was their fault. Uh, yeah, I hope so. What they filed was an annual report, but it should've been an initial report. They finally did get the correct paperwork filed, but it took them another two months to do it. Ok, so that was their first error.

I continue with my business as usual and choose to have them file an annual report in 2016. Ok, so everything is fine, or so I thought - again. So anyway, in November of 2016 I get a letter from the Washington Secretary of State saying that my business has been administratively dissolved because my annual report was never filed! WTF! I call LegalZoom and I’m pretty agitated that I have paid them about $2,300 at this point and they cant even file a simple annual report and now my business is dissolved. They tell me that there's nothing they can do, but they gave me a credit of $93. Really?

So anyway I have moved to a different state and want to move my business to the new state. So, I guess I'm a sucker, I call LegalZoom again so they can be my registered agent in the new state. I explain my situation and they tell me that I’ll have to pay them to dissolve my business in WA and get a new one in the new state. I explain to them that thanks to them my business is already dissolved in WA because they didn't file my paperwork correctly. Please avoid at all costs. If you need to form an LLC just Google the state's requirements and do it yourself. You will save money and a lot of headache. You will need a registered agent, but just Google one with good reviews. DO NOT USE LEGALZOOM!! Really!! I wish I had known better :(

Made a huge mistake dealing with this Stupid IMBECILES! All I wanted is to create a simple Partnership entity. They screwed it up so much that I am still trying to fix it. Why are this Scambags are still in business? How come nobody sued them yet??? All this "low LOW LIFE SCAMMERS" do is take your money and do nothing!!!

I tried LegalZoom Living Trust bundle because I have properties in US and Canada and I want to include them in the trust so my children do not need to go through probate process. There was no disclosure anywhere that LegalZoom cannot handle properties outside US. There was no space and values to select anything other than 'States'. There should be a disclosure upfront so that we do not waste tons of time and efforts and $ and not get a complete trust done, or better still, why not expand your legal coverage to outside US. It's just a simple trust document! If you can't do the deed, get someone to do it.

I started an S-Corp on LegalZoom. Not for first timers... Several items were left open ended and when I was past due on returning documents there was no follow up. Calls to customer service were not returned in less than 20 minutes by on the 2 occasions I tried to reach them. The first time, when I got the call back, and it dropped, they made no attempt I could see to try me again. Their fax machine was busy on multiple occasions, when I needed to send documents. Here's the work-around, email documents to BZSupport@legalzoom.com. Finally got someone on the phone and all was fine.

I'm sure they have satisfied customers. However, if you have any issues (we decided to change our name WELL before they started any process on our order.) count on a very frustrating experience. It seems like their customer service people have little communication with the people who actually process the information taken on a call. After several calls we finally got them to acknowledge we got to them in time to change our name and that it would be taken care of "no problem." Well they took care of the change on the federal filings but not the state filings. Federal was OK, state was under our old name. They also produced all the documents - Operating Agreement, transfer of authority, etc. - under the old name.

Also I've notice that now I'm getting a Legal Zoom charge of $7.00 a month on my credit card for something I have no idea what for. At first (before my order was processed) I could get in touch with their customer service within minutes. Now, (my order has processed) after asking for my order number (which the system is incapable of taking - goes to recording after enter only a few numbers) they give you the option of a call back. I was told I'd get a call back in 20 minutes. That was 3 hours ago. Seems they're not anxious to talk to you after they've got your money and you're not looking to do anymore fee producing business.

At any rate their hold time since I became a customer runs into hours not minutes. Other than the documents they mail, you will have not have any other copies pdf's etc. So if you need changes you will need a scanner with image conversion software to make any changes unless you call them and ask, which I'm sure they'll require a fee for. Like I said, if things go without a hitch you'll probably be fine. If you have a problem good luck.

Buyer Beware! I'm sure LegalZoom has plenty of satisfied customers but I'm not one of them. I hired LegalZoom in 2015 to create and register a new business entity on my behalf with the IRS and my home state. When choosing the services I wanted LegalZoom to perform I selected for them to NOT handle any further/ongoing filings (like annual reports, etc). I did not pay them for that service as my CPA handles my annual filings for my entities. When they registered the new entity with the state, they entered THEIR contact information for state notifications to the business. The state has sent numerous emails to them (their email address is on file) regarding filings for my business over the past 12 months and they never responded or forwarded those notifications to me.

Due to myself and my CPA not receiving the notifications we failed to file documents that the state was requesting and now have penalty fee of $900.00!! I called LegalZoom today to ask why they input their information as the notification contact in the first place and why subsequently they didn't forward any of those notifications to me. The representative placed me on hold 3 or 4 times to talk to her supervisors and all they came back with was "We are sorry, please talk to your state". The rep did imply that their email address should not have been entered as the contact for the new business, that it was a mistake. As I was explaining that I would like to know what their protocol is for handling mistakes they've made while fulfilling a service contract such as this the rep terminated the call. Yes, they hung up on me.

After further research I was informed that this is very likely a tactic used by LegalZoom to get an opportunity to sell you their additional corporate filing services at a later time after the initial filings. They use their contact info so that notifications for filings go to them (even though you specifically choose to not hire them for that continuing service) and then they have an excuse to contact you and explain how you must need help with those filings and they can handle it for you "for a very reasonable fee". Today they offered absolutely ZERO help or explanation as to why they did this and hung up on me and left me with a $900 penalty fee. Horrible experience to say the least. BTW, I paid them over $400 for that initial filing to which they mistakenly or deceitfully filed incorrectly. Please be careful hiring this company for these services.

Staggeringly inept customer service. I paid for 5 years to use LegalZoom as my registered agent. This year I did not receive my biennial report. I called my registered agent and asked them to contact the secretary of state and have the info re-sent. This required an email address, apparently LegalZoom did not send an email address to the secretary of state and we are waiting for snail mail. Here's the kicker. If I don't file the biennial report by April 1st, my business will be dissolved. I have spent 4 weeks pleading with LegalZoom for help. Endless calls, hours on hold and no progress. Rude customer service reps (although one or two were nice they were useless in resolving my issue), several were downright rude and condescending. (Dylan).

I was absolutely guaranteed a return call from Azuka, who is an escalation manager today. Well, today is over and no call. No email. Nothing. I called his direct number and it went straight to voicemail, twice. Apparently the dissolution of my company does not merit any level of care or service from these people. The level of ineptitude by customer service is staggering. I am about to have my business dissolved by the state in a few days. I am so sad, 5 years of my life building this business, and now this. I am just crushed.

They promised to establish an LLC, file the appropriate government paperwork, provide legal documents necessary to establish the business, promised a due date, and failed on all accounts. Paid a premium to expedite the process and not only did they miss the due date by 10 days, but the resulting documents were so fouled up that they were useless and went in the trash can. Hours spent on the phone on hold, days spent waiting on promised return phone calls that did not come, promises made to correct repeated mistakes that were not kept. Finally cancelled the entire project, got a partial refund, and then they started billing me for the 'free' trial that was supposedly canceled. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

In 2016 I set up a CA corporation with LegalZoom. I had never opened the corporation and called LegalZoom to remove them from my agent of service that they charge $159 for that they do not send a notice about. Just spoke to a man name Brandon who was extremely rude and not helpful. I requested to speak to a manager and Brandon informed me there wasn't one to talk to. I informed him that I no longer wanted the service because I have never opened the business and would be dissolving the company in the state of CA. He informed me that I was still responsible for the $159 for the current year. Horrible customer service. Once your LLC becomes legally effective, your card will automatically be charged $159. Service renews annually thereafter for the same fee until cancelled.

Quick to take money, customer service is terrible, had to call 3 times and was transferred and put on hold several times. Was charged for registered agent fee several times. First representative said he agreed I should not have been charged and would refund me (By the way they were several LLC's and they charged me 12 times at $159 ea $1908!!!). He said he would send a confirmation email which was never done. Why would anyone pay $159 a year for a registered agent to accept mail??? I called back again several days later to be put on hold for 20 mins before anyone answered only to be told she had no idea about any credit. She transferred me to another agent who after being put on hold for 10 mins again said they would not issue the credit. WATCH OUT FOR HIDDEN FEES AND CHECKED BOXES. They will charge your credit card on a recurring basis!!!

I used LegalZoom to set up an LLC. Everything was fine until I realized that we had originally set it up in a different state than where we were operating the business. It ended up costing us WAY more money and when we had originally asked about the pros and cons of setting our LLC up in various states, no one told us we'd have to file in multiple states. We only realized it when we went to open a bank account. Also, they don't tell you WHY you need to do anything, or that there is a time frame associated with certain things you need to do once you get your LLC.

When we contacted them about the state issue (we were now a foreign LLC doing business in our state) they said we could either dissolve the existing LLC and set up a new one in our state or get approval as a foreign LLC in our state, but then have to file everything in two states... We chose the former option. We paid extra for a rush. It is now in "delayed" status and no one can tell me anything. I asked to be escalated to a manager and the woman told me NO. I asked again and she said she would have someone call me back. That was 4 days ago. I've heard nothing. DON'T use them. There are plenty of companies out there offering the same service.

I applied for a LLC and quickly discovered that the email address that I provided was incorrect. I made the change on the website and received an email confirmation that the correct email would be used. Sadly, I never received the documents to sign to close out the LLC since they were sent to the incorrect email address multiple times. I called 5 times and sent multiple emails to get this resolved and they never sent the documents to the correct email. I wasted about 30 days on this and the frustrating part was none of my emails were answered and I was on hold an average of 45 minutes before I could speak to an agent. LegalZoom charges a premium price and I was very disappointed with their poor service!

Not extremely responsive. They weren't much help with my previous problems, and I was not happy with the work ethic. Sometimes I couldn't even get a response. Extremely slow. Imagine a turtle covered in molasses. That's pretty slow, but then put that turtle in a path of tar on a hot day. The speed literally went nowhere. Not very reliable. I had to call repeatedly and email repeatedly as well. I almost never got an answer and when I did it was a generated message that said "leave a message." Not much to work with in the ways of value. I'm not valued, they're not valued at all, and their service is of no value. It's pretty worthless all around.

I asked them advice regarding a personal matter. They ended up not being able to help me personally but to point me in the right direction. I wouldn't say that they were necessarily fast because my issue is rather complex. Every situation is different but they were efficient. Very reliable. LegalZoom has created quite a reputation for itself. With that being said, the value of information received is accurate every time which gives them a great reputation.

The people that work there are all quite friendly and professional. I always get my questions answered in a timely manner. They are very pleasant to do business with. They are very efficient at their jobs and provide quality service in a very timely manner. We were able to get all of the information that we needed well within the time frame we needed it. They are very reliable. They always called us back in the time frame they said that they would. We were able to get everything we needed done in the time frame that they quoted us. They offer great service and very competitive pricing. We were able to get everything we need done at a very fair price. I would say that all things considered that they were very valuable to our business.

The customer service was very good and explained everything to me when I needed help. They are very experienced and professional people. It took a little while but they sorted everything out and were able to help me when I needed it most. I really appreciate the patience they had with me and they were very nice. They are very reliable. I would recommend this place to other people. It was a decent price considering every other place was about two hundred dollars more than this place and they handled my situation very well.

People that are always there to answer all your questions and give you the best advice and help when needed and wanted. Quick and yet efficient. Speed and service are the best of lawyers and handling legal problems of all kinds. This service will really give you a new outlook on having to deal with legal issues. Always reliable answers to even the toughest questions you have. Always honest and truthful in all areas and will never steer you in a wrong direction. You can always trust what you are told as truth. Value is tremendous and will be one that you can afford and not bankrupt you. The value is so good that it often outweighs all you have ever dealt with.

Customer service was phenomenal. Staff was well educated on the company, friendly and personable, patient, and most importantly, had convenient hours. The speed of this company was great. Not only the actual service, but the quality that came with that speed. It was nice not sitting around waiting for a service that ended up being mediocre. The reliability of this service was fantastic. It was at convenient hours, had helpful products, and an overall pleasant purpose. Customer service hours was also extremely reliable. The value of this service was the best part of my experience. A fast, reliable service that ended up being more than I hoped for.

They are very nice and very helpful. They do everything they could to take the time to answer any questions I may have had which I really liked. They made it less stressful. Got back to me in a timely matter. They work fast and do their job correctly and I really liked that about them. They care about you and your time and do what they can to help you. They are very reliable. They told me when things were going to get done and they do just that and I thought that was great and help make things much happier for me and my family. They really do value you and your time. They seem to really care and that you're not just another client but a person and I thought that was wonderful and really nice of them to care that much.

I used it for help with getting custody of my children and help in learning to file for divorce. I also used it when we were trying to get custody of my stepson. It's very useful and informative and incredibly simple to use even if you are clueless about all things legal related. It was incredibly easy and fast. When getting advice my questions were answered that day and was given a list of attorneys in my area immediately. If you need legal help I highly suggest LegalZoom if you are looking for quality service in a pinch.

Incredibly reliable. When looking for help in getting custody of my children I received excellent advice and ended up with exactly what I had walked in hoping for which was primary physical custody and joint legal custody and couldn't be happier about that all things considered. When I finally decide it is time for a divorce I intend to use LegalZoom again. Considering the amazingly low prices you get incredible services. You cannot find a greater value anywhere else besides LegalZoom. I would and have recommended LegalZoom to friends and family members for their legal questions.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.
  • Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.
  • Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.
  • Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.
  • Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.
  • Best for LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Compare Legal Services