1.68/5
Based on 97 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Last updated: April 21, 2018

114 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 21, 2018

I started setting up an LLC through LegalZoom and it was super easy to fill out the information, about a day later I got a call that there was a problem with my order, I called and they said they were too busy and would call me back in 2 hours when they had less call volume, I was at work when they called back and could not take the call and eventually I was able to speak with someone and supposedly get the issue resolved. 5 days later I get the same message that something was wrong with my order and went through the same process.

This same thing happened 3 times and I was finally informed that it should be good to get sent to the state and that it would now be an additional $159. I had no idea that there would be any additional costs and I was not about to go forward with them springing this on me after all this. I am cancelling and will hopefully get a full refund on Monday but seeing how it has worked so far I am sure they will make it a very difficult process to cancel.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am not even going to wait for a reply from LegalZoom before writing this review, if I had any clue how this was going to be I simply would have filed this paperwork myself. I registered a LLC, first off when you do so through LegalZoom they register your LLC in their name, this way they can force you to pay extra fees, I paid $324 to form my LLC, it is now registered to LegalZoom, now they want me to pay an additional $157 for a agent, this is very shady, first off if I pay you $324 dollars, you need to register my LLC in my name, not yours, why do I want to pay that much to give you the ability to strongarm me ? I would advise staying away from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered their Wevorce package to file for divorce. After using it for five minutes I realized it wasn’t the right program because my wife had already filed. I didn’t even fill in any pertinent info such as date of marriage, name of wife or child, or occupation. I contacted them within an hour for a refund and they said it goes against their policy to issue a refund saying I already used their product and wasn’t eligible for a refund, via email. When I called, they said they would call me back within two days and they failed in that service also. I thought they would have a good service product but service doesn’t seem to be their thing. Just getting people’s money and not providing. Extremely feeling ripped off.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I've been using Legal Zoom for 6 years as my registered agent. In this time they have: Consistently sent mail to the wrong address, jeopardizing my anonymity. Sent all communications to the wrong email address, so that I missed out on compliance reminders for 5 years. Despite repeated, hours-long calls where I was transferred from one agent to the next, they continued to send emails and mail to the wrong addresses. Some of the reps were nice enough but knew close to nothing about the services or legal terminology. You have no access to anyone with any legal training or knowledge. That happens by trusting a rep will send an email to someone who never returns a phone call. I am now in danger of receiving hundreds of dollars of fines due to the Legal Zoom errors. Worst money, in business, that I've ever spent.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 16, 2018

The price for a 'registered agent' service I had been buying from LegalZoom went up by over 60% year over year. Considering I was getting almost nothing for the service anyway (as in they were doing almost no work on my behalf) I decided to cancel. I went through hell on their "customer NOT service" line, having to call back on three separate days and getting shuffled around from person to person, who asked me the same questions repeatedly. Unbelievable how difficult they made this - I should have just been able to perform this very simple task on their website. Will not use them again, and strongly recommend others avoid as well.

LegalZoom response

Hi Kathy, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 14, 2018

The number one reason I signed up was because I thought they would help me since they claim to be experts in legal law & taxes. My first time starting a business, I didn't understand what I was getting in to, they sell you a bunch of packages that they claim will help but nobody has helped me do my taxes yet, I haven't received a tax form or anything to do my business taxes. I'm totally lost as to what I have to do. Now I have to pay a real expert and LegalZoom wants me to pay an extra fee just to cancel their stupid plans. Paid almost $1000 on this piece of **. There's nothing like doing business face to face this ** here will become a headache. Don't even think about using them.

LegalZoom response

Hi Luis, we do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Customer increased Rating by 3 stars! Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 13, 2018

It is difficult to cancel the Business Advisory Plan. DO NOT GET! Save yourself the trouble. Do not agree to the Trial Business Advisory Plan. They keep charging and there is no easy way to cancel. When you call, they offer to call you back, but no one calls. Read the reviews on Consumer Affairs and take their advice. I paid for the trademark application. I have not heard back on that aspect of their services.

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear you had a better experience.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 12, 2018

I signed up for LegalZoom a year ago to get a will together. Had one 5 minute conversation with an attorney. Fast forward one year later and I see a $119 charge on my credit card statement from LegalZoom. When I called, I was put on hold for 30 minutes. They said that I was enrolled in some auto plan to get access to their attorneys for advice - - a service I never agreed to. And even I did, why wasn't there an invoice or a payment confirmation sent when I was charged? They charged me for some fee without sending an invoice or even a payment confirmation. HOW SKETCHY IS THAT?

It's very obvious they are trying to hide the charges hoping people won't notice. I asked where is the evidence showing I signed up for this auto service (they couldn't provide it so they said they would issue me a refund). I also asked for my credit card info to be removed from their system and they said they couldn't do that! This company is seriously shady! Do yourself a favor and get yourself a real attorney and not waste any money on these clowns! Extremely unethical company!

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a error with our service. Depending on the type of package you selected for your will, the legal plan subscription service is automatically included. It provides the benefit of unlimited free revisions & legal consultation. Our website also explains how charges are billed & how to cancel. We’re happy to help cancel and/or refund any unwanted charges. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: April 11, 2018

DBA Filing - Had I seen the reviews I would not have ordered - any company these days should be riding on good reviews. I don't see any improvements. I don't think anyone works here and if they do, it's only 1 person. We were referred by ADP. I emailed them and tried to call yesterday to no luck. I made a mistake on my filing of the name and no luck. 309 dollars wasted. Is this a scam?

LegalZoom response

We would like to extend our sincerest apology in regards to your less than great experience with LegalZoom. You deserve better & we'd like to try to turn things around for the better. We’ll review your account & follow up with you directly today. Please also feel free to contact a manger directly anytime via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 10, 2018

I so wish I had read these reviews before using LegalZoom again. Over the years their fees have gone up along with their colossal incompetence. I've created three LLC's and two wills with them but never, never again.

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We are currently reviewing details on your account & we will reach out to you directly with a resolution.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 9, 2018

Do not waste your time and money with LegalZoom. I set up an LLC and eventually needed executed a Standard Company Dissolution. I was told it would take 30 days and we are now going into the 7th month! The lack of communication and follow through is remarkable. In addition to dragging out simple set of tasks they require you continue paying a Registered Agent Service fee. The quote of $600.00 to execute a Standard Company Dissolution is now at $1600.00 - I don't mind paying extra and required fees but that should be stated in advance. I have no idea when they are going to complete this as each conversation I have with customer service leads me to believe it will be a week. April 2nd I spoke with a CS rep who told me my faxed paperwork was readable and they would send it off to finalize and today when I logged into my account I see Action Required. The new CS rep tells me they don't have the fax. HOW?

LegalZoom response

We're sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience with LegalZoom. We would like to try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 8, 2018

I signed up for LegalZoom to be my registered agent. It's a yearly agreement and I can cancel before the one year term. I called LegalZoom to cancel before the term starts again, and LegalZoom said that as soon as they received the notification from Secretary of State, it will be automatically canceled. So, 3 months passed and I got a bill from my credit card company. LegalZoom charged my credit card over $ 400.00 without my knowledge. Never got a receipt from them, and charge my credit card on file which is expired. I called my credit card company, and it's still under investigation. My message to everybody is to beware of LegalZoom. They are not trustworthy. Even your card is expired LegalZoom can still charge your card.

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We would like to help resolve this. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 7, 2018

I am writing this review to not only warn fellow business owners but to also hopefully get the attention of the LegalZoom management team. My experience began years ago when I decided to have LegalZoom serve as my registered agent. First go around, there were no issues. Second was a completely different story. It started in the sales department with a guy named Brian. Great sales person, the most horrific customer service person I have ever dealt with.

Everyone knows the famous quote, “the buck stops here”, right? Well, the buck stops nowhere at this company because every single person I have spoken to has dropped the ball. The last lady promised to resolve my issue and follow up and for a moment I was hopeful she would keep her word. She too failed to let me know/if when things were resolved. My company is on the brink of being dissolved due to LegalZoom’s gross failure in communication. My hope in spending the time to write this review is that fellow consumers think before using this company and that LegalZoom may improve their training and review what went wrong with my experience.

LegalZoom response

We apologize for the experience you've had with LegalZoom regarding your registered agent service. Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service & it appears you may have missed the mark in your situation. We want to help resolve this for you. Please contact a manger directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been with LegalZoom since 2015. And I would not advise anyone to have business with them. I owe money to the state now, due to the negligence of LegalZoom not filing the proper annual reports from 2016 to 2018. However, LegalZoom has taken money out of my account each year for these and reports, and even with the payment history of proof that I do have they have refused to refund me my money or to comply with the North Carolina state laws in order to reinstate my business name. Because of them I now owe the state of North Carolina $700 plus a reinstatement fee in order for my business name to be back in good standings. The only thing that LegalZoom offered at this point was a refund for the year of 2018.

I will be reporting this to the Better Business Bureau for further investigation and also get the law involved. No one should have to go through this after putting all their hard-earned money into a service that is supposed to be helping them rather than destroying their business name. The only compensation that LegalZoom offered was to refund for the year of 2018 but will not give me a refund for 2016 and 17. That is beyond unfair and complete robbery! I do not understand how in the world LegalZoom could file for 2015, and skip over 2016 and 17 and want to file 2018 knowing that this business name has been penalized and they won't do anything to fix it.

When I asked the department for the state of North Carolina who was the registered agent, they also stated that LegalZoom was my registered agent. I wanted to make sure that I had all my duckets in order before I call LegalZoom with my proof of payment history and what I'm paying them for. And as a registered agent of my business I do not understand why the negligence for these few years past, but you had no problems taking the money directly out of my account that was specifically for the annual reports to be done. I asked three agents of LegalZoom to transfer me to a supervisor and I wanted to speak with that supervisor that day. Coincidentally they still have not transferred me to a supervisor. And they also told me that there's nothing that they can do on their end and made it clear that they would not be giving me my money back for 2016 and 17. What!

LegalZoom response

Hi Cara, we're very sorry to hear of this experience. We'd like to research this further and help with a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Well I am writing this on the verge of tears because I am so incredibly frustrated with this company. They have cost me $800 in fees that I will need to pay due to major incompetence on their part. (Not filing an important document.) Not only are they in error, but I can not speak directly with anyone who is responsible for this error. I have made multiple attempts to email customer service with absolutely no response. It is extremely difficult to reach anyone by phone and when I finally do, they have no authority to assist me with my account. All they can do is read from a script and refuse to transfer me to anyone who can help. I have never been so lied to and disrespected by any business in my life. I am not exaggerating. This is the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. Please if you value your sanity and hard earned money, avoid this horrible company.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 5, 2018

I went to Legal Zoom to get a DBA for my personal business. I started the process in 8/2017. I thought that Legal Zoom would be able to navigate around the requirements with the county etc. I assumed Legal Zoom had a understanding of what would be needed, so I would not waste time going back and forth with any errors on paperwork.

Well, 8 months later I still don't have my DBA. The system is so frustrating at Legal Zoom. First the automated everything, from the phone calls, messages and even the online account access. No details just vague "please call Legal Zoom for updates on your order". So it's like chasing your tail. Then I had to send the paperwork in several times because the communication sucks. After a back and forth for 5 months the paperwork was sent to the county clerks office. I get a call 3 months later saying that the paperwork expired and I need to re-submit it and get the paperwork notarized yet again. I asked to speak to a supervisor because something was not adding up, when I ask I was told no supervisor was available.

I asked, "When will one be?" She stated that she can ask and someone would call me in 24-48 hours. That was on a Thursday. I did not get a call until 6 days later and when I did it was not a supervisor. It was someone else asking me to send in the paperwork (side note, even if I had decided to re-submit the paperwork it would not be processed that quickly as I would have to go to a notary and send it via snail mail to Austin, TX) so that just adds to the confusion.

I spoke with a gentleman this time around and he stated the same thing, I asked why the paperwork expired. He said it is only good for 90 days, when I explained that I submitted the paperwork at the end of December and now it's April, what confidence do I have that this would not happen again? He said that was the only way to get the need met. I told him that I understood what needed to be done, that was not the problem. The issue that I have is I will not keep following a process that is not working. I asked once the paperwork was received by Legal Zoom how long would it take to get the information back from the county clerks office? He said 15-25 days.

I said, "Ok, I waited 3 months, why am I just finding out about this now?" Silence, no answer. He said that the county clerks office could have lost it, or misfiled it. That it was outside the control of Legal Zoom, so I explained that it is not the fault of Legal Zoom what happens at the County office, but it is the responsibility of Legal Zoom to follow up and check in and that's what they did not do. Legal Zoom is not doing what they agreed to if they're finding out 3 months after the fact that they don't have what they need. I asked for a full refund.

This has been such a hassle, I did get a refund however, I have lost money in notary fees, tax write offs for 2017 and now time lost for being productive in my business. This has been going on for 8 months! I will never use this service again, and I will never recommend this service to anyone that I know. I am so disappointed with this experience and just the all around lack of care and customer service. This has been a huge setback and a total waste of time and money.

LegalZoom response

We would like to extend my sincerest apology in regards to your less than great experience with LegalZoom. We would like to try to make this a better experience. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been calling customer care for 2 weeks looking for an update on why my DBA application has not been completed yet. LegalZoom submitted it to the SOS back on February 27th! I have been told every day that the paperwork is with the County Clerk's Office and that LegalZoom "Management" contacted the clerk's office to obtain an update on March 27th. It has been 5 business days since, yet there has been no updated and NOBODY from LegalZoom has followed up with the County Clerk's Office since. I have just contacted the clerk's office myself only to find out that they do not have my application and that it was never submitted to them! Can someone PLEASE get a handle on this?!?! I have paid good money for this service, yet Legal Zoom is not holding up your end! Tired of the runaround not to mention delay for my business! You guys seem to be running a clown show over there!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I used the company to start an LLC, thinking it would save me time and be completed quickly especially since I bought the expedited service. It took nearly 5 weeks and in that time frame I was on calls with them for between 7-8 hours, because I kept getting calls saying that the order was placed on hold because they needed more information from me to move forward. When I’d call I get the runaround and no one knew why the order kept getting placed on hold. When the order was finally completed, the site said my order had been shipped (the documents), but when I tracked the package with USPS it said that USPS was waiting for the drop off- the site showed this “pre-shipment” stage for a week. When I finally decided to call, they couldn’t figure out what the hold up was. The company is purely incompetent! The company is a scam! And I blame myself, I should’ve just buckled down and completed this on my own.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 2, 2018

OMG Legal Zoom is a scam. I asked them to help me set up my C-corp. It just feels like they take money and then want more money. The experience is confusing, with tons of third party players that don't integrate well. I got ripped off.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sophie, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We would like to try & make this a better experience. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 28, 2018

I have been using LegalZoom for years and I can tell you that their services have changed and they have become one of the least professional companies that you may want to deal with. We started a new company and used LegalZoom to register and set it up in December 2017. It is March 2018 and nothing has been done they have said the state has delays and every excuse you can imagine. So we went online at LegalZoom today to see where we are. It shows delayed so we call them and they tell us it is delayed at the state and they sent the paperwork to the state on 03/07 and it should take 16 days for delay with state. So we called the state, it was sent back as they put it as a PA and not an INC which is was all the docs say. BTW and the state says you can have it back in 24 hours.

So they lie, they do not do what they are paid in advance to do and cannot be trusted. I want my money refunded and I will register my company with a local lawyer. I plan to post a review to every social site there is. I am more disturbed that we entrust a legal company of lawyers as they say they are to get the services done and they blatantly lie to you. HOW can they be trusted...

LegalZoom response

We apologize for the poor experience you had while transacting business with our organization. It is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 27, 2018

How many times do I have to call LegalZoom. I went to my bank to fax the papers to her and she called today and did not know nothing about a fax. One lawyer called me and I said hello twice and got nothing. I called again today and they said they would connect me to a lawyer, instead I got connected to a rep. I am tired of this junk and I want my money back.

LegalZoom response

We are very sorry to hear of this experience and we’d like to learn more. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing how we can make this right.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I used LegalZoom in the past for my LLC. After selling business they call and send snail mail 2-3 times a wk. I called multiple times to be removed, but am told I no longer own this company, so I cannot be removed... Well yes... they are correct. The reason I don't want their mail! I have moved (second residential location) and still receive junk mail, all that say late payment, or bill due. But mail is for signing up again. As a joke I have returned approximately a dozen pieces of mail, and wrote on the back as if they are my pen pal. Unless you FOREVER want to be contacted by them, stay far away. I honestly do not know of any other options besides collecting their harassing trash, or taking legal action.

LegalZoom response

We're sorry to hear about this experience & we want to make it right. Please contact help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have in the past used LegalZoom for various entities, but I would definitely NOT recommend them anymore. They entice you to pay more for expedited service, and then just take their time and don't deliver as promised. In my opinion, LegalZoom is a huge scam. I recently wanted to use their services to set up a non-profit organization, and agreed to pay $459 for expedited service.

Over 2 weeks later, LegalZoom claimed they had not delivered the documents because there was a question pending. That question turned out to apply to an older application and an older entity already formed. They just used this as an excuse to take their time but still charge for expedited services. They have done this to me before, and I now intend to contact the Attorney General of California and complain of their failure to perform, and obtaining monies by false pretenses. Don't use LegalZoom! They are not an honorable organization, they put you on hold for literally hours, and then their customer service reps are just rude.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 25, 2018

I spent extra for a gold account to create an LLC in 7-10 days. I have been unable to contact anyone by email or phone. Their site keeps making me reset my password to get into my account. When I reset it, it work once and then I can't get in again. I sent them email and they state they will get back to me within two business days. And then I get another email asking me to contact them, I have been trying to completely cancel my account but there is no way to cancel within the account and when I send them email to cancel - they send me an email that they will contact me in 2 business days. And it keeps repeating. I can't get through on the phone as the wait time is always over an hour on weekdays and they are closed on the weekends. I am completely dissatisfied and have been totally ripped off.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 24, 2018

I am going on 4 months of dealing with getting a simple last will and trust. It is almost impossible to get a hold of anyone without having to wait an hour, they constantly put your order on hold and then do not let you know what you need unless you call them. Then when you do get to talk with someone they can't help you because they cannot give legal advice. I have scheduled attorney appointments, which I had to wait 2 weeks for the first time because they are only available from 2-5.

I basically had to take time off work to get their phone call, then they called, the phone was disconnected and when I tried calling back they didn't answer. The second time, which I had to wait for again, I put in my paperwork just as the attorney told me to do and they still denied it. I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND using LegalZoom. EVER. I have a very simple last will and testament and they can't process it because my wording in a section doesn't pass their initial automated phase.

LegalZoom response

It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. We will review your account details & reach out to you directly. Please also feel free to contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 23, 2018

I ordered a simple incorporation. It took them 2 months to get me a document that should have taken them 5 mins to get to me. They'll put your order on hold but never call or email or let you know. You have to check your order online every day to make sure they get things done. I've called them numerous times and still nothing. I've talked to customer service multiple times over the past week and have heard multiple stories. I've tried to request a manager but to no avail. Save yourself the aggravation and hire a local attorney. Spend a little bit more money and save yourself a ton of time and aggravation.

LegalZoom response

Hi Jeremy, we're sorry about what occurred with your incorporation order and with your customer service experience. Usually orders go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. Please feel free to contact a manager who can help via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I'M THE WORST AT WRITING REVIEW. 35 days AGO I paid for a gold package so that LLC entity could be form, but what a joke the lack of communication. I was on hold for a hour then got hung up on. Try again. Was on hold for a good 45 minutes, can no one tell me what's going on. Got transfer multiple times from one department to another and that's if someone pick up after you waited so long on hold, and warning horrible classical music. LegalZoom people are so incompetent that it's unbelievable. No words.

LegalZoom response

We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We'd like to learn more about how we could have improved your experience with us, or if you just wanted share exactly what happened so we can do a better job for other customers in the future. Please feel free to contact a manager at your convenience via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 20, 2018

We contacted LegalZoom on the urgings of many, to set up an LLC for our Business in California. We have a VRBO short term rental property in Rancho Mirage. We contacted Legal Zoom, discussed the request and responded to all of the questions. We find now, after receiving the paperwork (over a month) we cannot use an LLC as the house is mortgaged and an LLC cannot be binding or used for this situation. We are stuck with over 300 bucks of worthless documents. When we called today we were advised we could contact the State where it is filed (we have not signed the documents sent to us) but that will cost us as well. I am not happy. I feel RIPPED off. No recourse? We called them to get guidance and get this done. That is why they are called "LegalZoom."

LegalZoom response

Hi Katherine, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Oh boy, where do I begin? This absolute scam of a company should close its doors. The amount of time I wasted on fixing problems that they caused was much longer than it would have taken to just submit the paperwork myself. I chose LegalZoom because I thought when I signed up for the operating agreement option that I would be getting a custom operating agreement, however, that was not the case. That was my first problem, but just the beginning of the massive headache.

While in the application process, I checked a box that I was interested in learning more about Bank of America's business accounts, only to realize that this meant LegalZoom would send them all of my paperwork, before they even sent it to me. It was through Bank of America that I even found out my company had received its LLC. That seems completely backwards to me. The first time I called to discuss my grievances, I was on hold for almost an hr before deciding to accept a call back from them when it was my turn, however, they never called me back. I wasted an hr for NOTHING.

LegalZoom response

We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about how we could have improved your experience with us & try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I would like to preface this review by saying I take full blame for misplacing my LegalZoom documents, which were mailed to me 4 years ago when I established my LLC. Because LegalZoom has a "My Documents" section on their website, and because this is 20freaking18, I assumed would always have access to electronic copies of my documents. NOT SO! The individual who opened my business checking account at my credit union was brand new and did not collect all the proper documents. Fast forward years later, and now they are telling me they will close my account if they don't receive a bridge letter, showing my ownership of my LLC as filed with LZ.

I emailed LZ customer support over a week ago telling them this was urgent: STILL NO RESPONSE. I emailed LZ customer support a second time using a different method: STILL NO RESPONSE. Finally I decided to call LZ customer support. They tell me that a PDF of the document will be sent to me within 1-2 business days. No caveats provided by them at that time. The 2nd business day is the deadline at my ban: after that day, they will CLOSE my business account. Major issue for me and the family that depends on me. The morning of the 2nd business day I call at 9:30 EST to confirm that I will receive the document. The represent I speak to assures me that if they said 1-2 business days, it will be 1-2 business days. Again, she mentions nothing that should pose a delay.

At 4:38 EST on the second business day, I call again. This time, the LZ representative tells me that the department which handles the bridge letters is "extremely backlogged" -- as if this is a well-known fact company wide -- and that It was never going to be 1-2 business days. Funny, that's the first time anyone has mentioned this. She then tells me it would be faster for them to mail me a hard copy than to scan it to a PDF. Which is hilarious, since that's what I requested in the two emails no one ever responded to!!! Imagine that!

I then make two simple requests: "May I please speak directly to someone in that department?" I am told NO. "Can someone from your crackerjack organization please send me an email acknowledging my request, and speaking to the backlog in the bridge letter department, so I can at least send that to my credit union and see if that can buy me some time?" Again I am told NO. LegalZoom, get your act together!!! Tl:DR: you get what you pay for and LZ is fine until you require actual help.

LegalZoom response

Hi Sarah, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com. We assure you that your request will be responded to right away.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs