4.7/5 (595 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?

LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.

Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?

If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.

Will LegalZoom hold up in court?

Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.

Why is LegalZoom so expensive?

LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: April 5, 2022

I had been postponing this matter for a while, dreading having to go through the usual bouncing around in a phone call to modern organization. I was pleasantly surprised. My call was answered pretty quickly by a person! No robots! No press 1 for this, press 2 for that, and so on. We all know how that feels. Not only was this agent very professional, but he was also able to understand my needs, was very personable and made the whole conversation very pleasant. I felt very much at ease, and I feel I can rely on them to help me through this legal process as I proceed. Very high marks to LegalZoom for having someone like that answering calls without jumping through a hundred robot questions to finally get a real person who's pleasant to talk to and knows what he's talking about.

LegalZoom response

We’re happy our customer service team was able to get things taken care of for you, William. Thank you for sharing this review and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was very pleased with my agent Micheal. He answered every question and was very patient with me, it being my first time doing all the documentation for my new clothing brand. I was very pleased and comfortable. The process was a scary process because of the money that had to come out of my pocket at once. Then giving a complete stranger my card number and information over the phone. That's a scary process hoping that they do not try and steal my identity but because I know I called the number to Legal Zoom and I have spoke to the agent I spoke with last year. Again I knew I was ready and felt it was the right time to reach out again and get started on my business.

LegalZoom response

That’s awesome news, LisaRenee! We're glad to hear that you decided to come back to us and that Michael was able to take good care of you during your interaction. We really appreciate you for sharing your feedback and we'll send a KUDOS over to Michael for you. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Her level of consideration and patience and customization to MY SPECIFIC SITUATION MEANT EVERYTHING. I told her she was a God Send. I have no team and she took the time to listen to me and Walk With Me Through The Factors Of MY SITUATION as to provide the best approach based off the intel I provided and her experience and knowledge. She truly deserves company wide acknowledgement. I want to say that any who display her level love again love during working with a customer DESERVE COMPANY WIDE ACKNOWLEDGMENT. These are the people who are keeping the lights on, Because They Keep Us Coming Back. I wasn’t too pleased before I spoke to her because LegalZoom did something, unbeknownst to them, that could be viewed as VERY UNETHICAL. She provided me with clarity so I could see this wasn’t the case and LegalZoom wouldn’t do anything like that purposefully. SHE. IS. AMAZING.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Anthony! We truly appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along to the representative who assisted you directly. We appreciate you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I found out you have to pay and record deed to avoid probate courts ... Dahh LOL So I needed to finish this process because what would be the point of doing a Living Trust if not done! Bryan was so professional and educated and stayed on the line with me and walked me through the whole process correctly. Nowadays when you call Customer Service anywhere all you get is a rush fast out of communication in a hurry to get your info and get you off the phone and in this case I got the real customer service rep willing to listen and carry on his job till he was done with me!!! That kind of rep the world needs in any business because everything nowadays is on line or over the phone! Thanks for having him!

LegalZoom response

This is an example of the type of support we aim to provide to all of our customers, Leanna, so we're glad to hear that Bryan was able to take such good care of you. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was referred to Legal Zoom through a colleague of mine years ago when I mentioned off the cuff becoming a licensed business. They told me what appeared to be too good to be true as a person that had never had a business before. The rest is history. From the moment of making that first contact and building rapport with LegalZoom and their affiliates I can confidently say that I have felt little to no stress throughout this process. If you have any questions regarding becoming a business, in the event LegalZoom themselves don't involve, chances are strong they have affiliates they will not hesitate to redirect you to of whose expertise will better serve you. I love that about LegalZoom. If I ever decide to become licensed in the state of California again for my business, I will return to LegalZoom. Thank you all, and I wish the best for those of you seeking a place to become licensed through.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Kim! We're always here to help and we're glad you chose us to be a part of your business journey. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

Great experience. I would recommend LegalZoom to all my friends and family. The agent was very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm very happy with the level of customer service I was provided. I plan to use Legal Zoom for all my future LLC purchases.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Andrew was such a big help explaining the procedure and what I need to do and made great suggestions. I never had so much fun discussing taxes. He is very knowledgeable about a subject that I know little about. Not only would I recommend Andrew and Legal Zoom, I actually have

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I had questions and some concerns about forming my LLC, deciding what tax election to choose, and learning about the ways in which I could save, but Josh answered them all with accuracy and clarity. I definitely recommend LegalZoom consulting!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

They were able to lead me to the right place so that I could get my information...I explained that I had had a death in my family and wasn't sure what needed to happen next...They were very professional as well....and I was able to move ahead with the process. I would recommend them again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Legalzoom takes the guessing out. They offer so much to starting & running your business. The price is pocket friendly for all you are getting to have a successful business. If you haven't started your business yet because you don't know where to begin, well look no more, legalzoom is the answer. Give them a try! You won't be disappointed. I'm so happy my business partner and I did. Less stress here!

LegalZoom Company Information