2.96/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

54 LegalZoom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My law partner and I were starting a new law firm and decided to have LegalZoom register our Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) with the Secretary of State and obtain our EIN. We thought it would be quicker and simpler to have LegalZoom perform these tasks instead of doing it ourselves. We needed the documents back from the Secretary of State quickly because without them we could not open a bank account in the name of the partnership. We ordered LegalZoom's Express Gold Limited Liability Package. Our 1-page application was submitted to the Secretary of State on September 15, 2017. When I went to my account on the LegalZoom website to see how things were progressing, it said our order was "Delayed" and held up at the Secretary of State's office. I went to the Secretary of State's website and according to the website, our order should have been in process.

On October 4, I called LegalZoom's customer service to see what the problem was and LegalZoom told me that they would contact the Secretary of State, find out what the delay was, and in the meantime obtain my EIN. They told me I would hear back from them in 48-72 hours and it would take just a day to get me my EIN. I did not get a call back from LegalZoom, nor did I receive an EIN. I called LegalZoom the following week. They expressed concern over these failures. I was told, again, that they would contact the Secretary of State and call me back within 48-72 hours. They also told me they would obtain the EIN. They did obtain the EIN, but never called back with news from the Secretary of State regarding the status of our LLP registration.

In the meantime, my partner called the Secretary of State. He was told that our LLP had been registered, and he was given an entity number. He was also told that the registration documents had been ready for LegalZoom since October 5. I called LegalZoom again. They expressed concern again. They told me they would contact the Secretary of State and contact me within 48-72 hours to let me know the status of the order. They failed to contact me again. And, on and on it went. Finally, my partner and I just paid the Secretary of State to get a copy of our registration since we needed it to open a bank account.

So I currently, have a copy of the LLP registration documents in my hands, and LegalZoom STILL is saying that the processing of my documents is delayed at the Secretary of State. LegalZoom did refund me the Expedite fee, but I have asked them to refund further money since they did not provide the service that I paid for -- I.e., LLP registration documents. They told me they would consider my request for a further refund if I sent them a copy of the LLP registration documents to prove I had actually obtained them myself.

I sent an email asking where I should send the documents. LegalZoom's auto-reply said I would l hear back from a customer service representative in one business day. Surprise, Surprise. It has been two business days and I have not heard back from LegalZoom. They have not delivered the LLP registration papers I paid for and are still saying that processing is being held up by the Secretary of State. They have no explanation for their repeated failure to call me back with status. Really just a horrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I tried to use these folks to create a DBA. Information submission was quick and easy. It was all downhill after that. A couple days later I receive a message that I entered too many characters in my business description. When asking why the system hadn't detected this during the submission process I was told that different states have different limits. You would think that if they know this their developers would write this into the code, which I suggested they do. The CSR then shared that all had been corrected and I would receive a signature email within the next couple days. Couple days later, still not received. Cut to the chase, a process that was slated to take a total of three weeks has been a nightmare and 3 weeks later I have not progressed since my initial call.

No signature page ever received, 4 calls to help desk with same information being shared by each person..."you should receive an email in a couple days." Help desk phone calls not returned, requests to speak with managers not granted, requests to have managers call me got nowhere. Extended on-hold times 15 minutes or more), disconnected calls... Luckily I received a refund while being told they would still do the work. AVOID THIS BUSINESS LIKE THE PLAGUE! Lack of knowledge, follow-up, and efficiency is the worst I have ever dealt with and I don't understand how they are still in business. Hopefully, others will read this before enlisting their support. I wish I would have read other's reviews!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I started this process at the exact same time a friend of mine started his LLC. He went through his accountant and I decided I would save a couple bucks and go through LegalZoom. He had his LLC registered and his EIN # with the IRS by the end of the week. Here I am over a month later and still going back and forth with their help department. I stressed I needed this sooner than later, that has gotten me absolutely nowhere!!! I made a HUGE mistake going through LegalZoom. I'm positive I would have done much better by myself watching self help Youtube videos. Don't use this company. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!! Pay an accountant, do it yourself, any other avenue than LegalZoom. Learn from my mistakes and thank me later.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I formed a corporation through them 4 yrs back and since then they have been charging me yearly fee as a agent, which I never consented. The bad thing is I never caught their auto deduction on my credit card until this year when they charged me $ 500. I called and cancelled. They said they are going to revert the money back in account. But when asked what is this. They said our prices went up. Wait a minute. For what?? In first place they should have not charged me since so many years. I am so pissed. Never do business with crooks like them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Do not use this VERY UNPROFESSIONAL service! Customer service is absolutely awful. I am frustrated after dealing with LegalZoom, and being transferred to 3 different people, inept!!! The law firms seem questionable, their website is exactly the descriptions as the LegalZoom profiles, as if they are only founded for this site. Some of the lawyers are unprofessional, particularly the California firm. Stay away! I would not trust this firm or the advice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Non-profits, save your money and don't use LegalZoom for your IRS 1023 filing. LegalZoom doesn't save you work... It forces you to duplicate your work. You answer LegalZoom's questionnaire, then Legal Zoom sends you a document with answers to the questions. The software is supposed to put your answers in the correct spot. This does not work well at all. You need to spend a lot of time beefing up answers, copying and pasting answers from one question to another, etc. HUGE WASTE OF TIME. If you want to call LZ, prepare for a LONG wait on hold. LZ adds NO VALUE. There is NO POINT to buying this service. I feel RIPPED OFF.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The LLC formation couldn't have been easier and I was at one time a satisfied customer. The trouble came when I went to register my trademark. I feel like they should have been able to tell me it would be rejected. Otherwise what am I paying $200 for? To fill in the forms? When I got my rejection letter from USPTO, a trademark attorney reviewed my case for free and told me after like 5 minutes I didn't have a chance. I feel like LegalZoom either lacks the expertise or just wants your money.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I went to LegalZoom to get a trust done. Putting your home in the trust is an additional price. It is not uncommon for trust attorneys not to tell you that. Legal Zoom asked me if I wanted to put my home in the trust. They were great to work with. Easy and fast. Whether or not the trust will work, I cannot answer that. I will have my successor trustee let you know.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I liked the fact that it was easy to locate what kind of legal services I was looking for. The website is laid out neatly so you can navigate without much problems. The amount of legal experts they have are so nice. I wanted to set up a will. The process was very easy to use, in fact I had found an expert right in away in less than 25 minutes, and went through all the legal proceedings and he spoke very clearly and was very easy to understand my rights and what all it details to set up a will. However someone I knew had a small issue with the service, the person said they tried to use the chat feature they have on there to speak with someone right away. The complaint was that the person took forever to respond back and even after doing so was very slow and it took too long to get anywhere, but I did not have this problem however.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

LegalZoom has many innovative features that make it easy to use their web services overall. They make users able to accomplish their tasks very easily and simple overall. Their website design could be deeply improved. It's not totally professional enough for this big of a business. They need to hire more experienced web developers to help make their site more attractive. Other than that, everything is clearly labeled where users can find what they need from the site almost immediately in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Good look overall and it's fun because they have a ton of different ways to complete your legal matters at LegalZoom. I learned about it on the Adam Carolla show and on other shows underneath the Carolla Digital platform/blanket. You can get the legal needs you need for a good price. You don't pay by the hour like other high priced legal matters. It is quick and efficient and if you have a legal question they can help you out online and in a hurry if you're in a pinch. It is simple.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

LegalZoom has very extensive offering of services on their website. It was very easy to navigate and things were easy to find when searching. Twenty five minutes and I was all set with everything I needed. Plenty of information on what I was looking for. The contact us page was the only difficult thing for me to find. I also would make live chat easier to find and utilize. Otherwise I can not complain about anything else with my experience. This was one if the best websites I have ever used, and I would recommend it to everybody.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I liked how we were able to incorporate quickly without hassle. They anticipate all the needs that a start-up may have and have services and professionals that can assist you. My opinion is that for a smaller emerging company LegalZoom can handle all your needs. They also made available a rather extensive library of documents that are handy to have in every companies' toolbox. There is not much you can say about them unless you are a larger company and need specialized legal help. For a small or emerging or startup they are really perfect for the job. It's really simple to engage them, their website makes it easy to choose what services and at what level you require. This has really been thought out quite carefully by them and over the years I've watched this concept become a really big deal.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

In order to use this wonderful service all that you have to do is simply go to legalzoom.com. then you create an account by giving them the correct personal information on the registration page. Then you let them know what type of problem that you are on need of assistance with and they will try to help you with that issue as soon and as thoroughly as they possibly can.

I like that they are very helpful when it comes to securing trademarks and also when it comes to securing copyrights. It is also very helpful when it comes to securing things such as patents for inventions as well as patents for ideas that you may have for your future inventions. They are so good at what they do. It is obvious that they are the best choice when it comes to choosing a well respected and well known legal service. They are very professional and they are dedicated to helping their valued clients.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I was able to file out and file for my personal business application with no problem. The search engine was very exact in my selection. It was easy to fill out and save. I like it just the way it is now, this has to be the best online legal service I ever used. It did not take long to do what I wanted to do. I did a search and it came up to exactly what I wanted. I just filled in my information and was able to print and file with no problems. I wouldn't bother to go anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

First I signed up for an account, then I verified my information through my email address. After that I submitted my question and then was directed to the appropriate area of expertise or with lawyers of that same expertise to make sure that my question went to the proper area. When I used LegalZoom, I was happy that I was contacted within twenty-four hours and the cost was minimal. My question was answered to the point and he even elaborated a little bit more and helped me instead of letting me submit another question and have to pay another fee. I wish that they would have someone there to answer questions on the weekends. On a couple of different occasions I have had questions that I needed answered but was only able to ask on a Friday, so I had to wait until Monday to receive an answer. But other than that, they are very prompt, honest and professional. I would recommend using them again in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

It was really awesome, my lawyer was really friendly and professional and very straightforward. It was extremely easy to use and there were no challenges that were presented. I really liked how they handled me and my case, it was exceptionally wonderful. However the customer service could have been a little bit better. I wish that the service could have been cheaper, also! But overall, everything was solid and perfect.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

LegalZoom is fast and affordable. I like that they have professional lawyers and I like that the lawyers are courteous and know their stuff. I also like their fee structure. It's very client friendly. My experience was good and the process is very simple. If you need a lawyer, you go to their website and fill out a brief form, detailing your name, contact info, what services you are in need of, and your representative will contact you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I first researched the different online legal sites through an online search, and I also attended a trade show that showcased many sites. I then read reviews, discussed it with my colleagues and then we came to a joint decision to purchase LegalZoom first. We all agreed that it had all the features and services that we were looking for and the experience and knowledgeable staff we wanted. LegalZoom is a very user friendly site. I feel very comfortable using it and it reassures me and my company. I like that I can access attorneys online to ask questions or over the phone. I also like that it has a law database depending on your industry to look up and refresh on certain laws. Furthermore, I like that they help you with paperwork, wills, and contracts within your company and any pending settlements.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

There are a variety of options to obtain either advice or services, and everything was pretty easy for my particular experience. Legal Zoom was simple to use and I was able to find everything I needed. There was a little bit of delay as on one part of the site I had a difficult time finding an answer to a question that I had. I would add a better interface to navigate all features of the site, as some are a bit difficult. But overall it was a fairly seamless experience.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

LegalZoom has all the forms that you need to get your business started and to get your personal effects in order. You can do wills and estate planning without having to hire a lawyer which will save you money and time. I just love it. However, some of the forms are hard to understand and LegalZoom would need a glossary of terms so that you can really sink your teeth into what you are reading. Still, it is extremely user friendly and they make it simple so that you don't have to guess at what you're doing. You fill in lines and your forms are done.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

LegalZoom is definitely a clean site. It is easy to navigate, and get to what you're looking for help. The color choices were great too, as it didn't hurt my eyes to read information on the site, as many sites do. Overall, it is a nice site. Unfortunately, for my needs, there was little to no help. I don't like that LegalZoom is limited to the type of help they offer. I can understand not having criminal attorney help, but advisors on what one should do to move forward, would be nice. I don't have any criminal issues, but do civil issues, and the site was lacking in that department as well.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We looked at several online legal sites of that nature and LegalZoom seemed to be by far the best. They are online service where you can go and print off and create basic legal documents and contracts etc. It was simple to use. We were able to prepare the needed documents in a matter of less than one hour at a fraction of the price as hiring a lawyer would have been. There is a fee but it is a fraction of the cost of hiring a lawyer. Truthfully I wish it would have been around years ago when I needed lots of contracts and documents drafted and created.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

LegalZoom had great customer service, great advice, great legal services and the prices were amazing. Always available, always come when needed and give the best opinion. Never have to question what I'm being told and always have customers' best interest at heart. Never just out for money. Really want to help customers and very trustworthy. I really like their services and what they do for people. It is an amazing company and they take special care of all their customers. The only thing that would make them better is if they had a local office that always makes things better. The process is very simple. You create an account and go online and get into your account whatever time of day you need to and get the help you need. I love this company.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

LegalZoom was a very quick and nice service that I was able to get some legal help in a possible lawsuit that I was trying to get out of and they did a great job of helping me for a decent and nice small rate to pay. I like that I am able to use this product for a very reasonable rate and it is easy to go and work with the company with quick decisions and nice answers for help. I so far like everything about this exact service and would love to know more about the services that I am hoping to be able to continue using in the near future for right now.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I like how the LegalZoom site is very easy to use, even for a layman like me who doesn't know a lot of legal terminology. You go on the site and they walk you through what you need to get started, and they find the best option for your legal situation. It was very easy to sign up and hit the ground running. The site is very easy to navigate and is aesthetically pleasing as well. For the most part all of the information is organized where it should be.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

LegalZoom made it very simple to understand how to use their website and what I need to do while I'm there. Even for someone that is not big into law, I was able to figure everything out. I was able to accomplish everything I needed in a decent amount of time. The service sped the process up. However, it may have been more helpful to have more explanations of WHY rather than what to do. I could easily figure out what to input and where to input it, but it's hard to understand what the relevance of some materials are.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

LegalZoom is a very efficient and effective way to find legal offerings. Anyone can use the site and be walked through clearly and easily as anyone else. You don't need to have any legal experience to be able to navigate it easily and anyone can do it with minimal effort. But I wish there was a singular person that you were connecting with whenever you actually needed to ask questions that the website may not be able to answer on its own.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

These guys do provide the bare minimum for business services for my LLC which I registered in a different state. What gets me is the sneaky recurring billing on their "free trial" services and the fact that you have to call them to be dissuaded from cancelling the service after you hit "cancel service." It's a tactic to make it easier to just let them keep billing. Once you do call, after about an hour on hold, there's always some reason you can't roll back their services. Dislike very much. But they've made it juuust more inconvenient to leave than to grin and bear it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

The process is not all that complicated but you do have questions if you are getting the proper forms for your State or Jurisdiction and there seems to be no guarantee of that. It would be better if LegalZoom could somehow give you a visual contact with an attorney at a reasonable fee. This should be similar to a live chat giving you the opportunity to ask questions for verification.

LegalZoom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalZoom was established in 2001 as way to use the Internet to give more people access to legal help. The company lets customers create legal documents or have short consultations with lawyers. They offer services for both individuals and businesses.

• A la carte services: LegalZoom’s services are generally sold on an a la carte basis, so consumers only pay for the service or document they need. Each document has an accompanying fee, and there is a membership program to give subscribers access to short legal consultations.

• Satisfaction guarantee: If a customer is unsatisfied with the service they receive, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, refund the customer’s money or provide them with a credit for another LegalZoom service.

• Consumer education: LegalZoom’s website has an extensive section devoted to educating consumers about legal matters. Articles help readers understand the difference between similar legal documents, like a living will and a medical power of attorney, as well as information about immigration, divorce and more.

• Services: LegalZoom has a wide variety of documents and services, so most consumers will find the product they need from this service. They have legal documents for both business owners and individuals.

• Social media: The company is active on social media. Consumers can follow them to see updates to services, legal news and legal tips.

• Best for: LegalZoom caters to individuals who want to handle legal matters on their own with binding documents and limited professional advice.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs