Formerly named Exede

3.4/5 (480 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

This is the most horrible internet experience I have ever encountered and if I could give negative stars, I would. I signed up for service in June of 2022. The speed was slow and the latency was not working for my home office. I cancelled my service in October of 2022 once I discovered a mobile hotspot was 10x faster and was a much cheaper option. They provided a box for equipment return with an image instruction sheet showing what equipment was to be returned and how to pack it in the box. It could not have been easier to follow. All equipment was packed up and shipped. I paid my last invoice and everything was done.

Fast-forward to Monday, January 16th, 2023. I received a phone call from a debt collector saying I had an outstanding balance for non-returned equipment. I immediately disputed that claim and called Viasat to see why my account had been sent to collections in the first place. They informed me that the modem (last item packed at the top of the box, first item to be seen when box was opened) was not returned. I protested and the put my account in as an “ESCALATION” to figure out what happened and why that item did not get scanned back in.

On Thursday, January 19th, 2023, Viasat debited the balance out of my account anyway!!! No phone call, no prior authorization, no contact whatsoever. I called immediately. The customer service operator stated that, since it had already been sent through as a debit, it could not be recalled. My immediate question, why was my account debited BEFORE the outcome of the conclusion of the internal “ESCALATION”? She did not have an answer.

On Monday, January 23rd, 2023, I received yet ANOTHER phone call from a debt collector asking how I wished to take care of the outstanding balance toward this account. I am beyond angry at this point. Save yourself the trouble, get a cellular signal booster for your home and work with a hotspot. My apologies if you see this review on multiple platforms. I plan on posting to as many as I can find.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

A customer service rep called me and once I said I was going to think about it they hung up me real quick. Not to mention lied about the service they provided and what was included with their internet. When I called back to speak with someone else, the woman insisted on getting my full name and contact information and I simply had a question. Ridiculous, I will never use this service or recommend. Absolutely horrible!! If there was less than 1 star I would have given it.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

After purchasing Viasat I learned just how aggravating it can be to keep paying for Gigabites. No, you don't have to pay for that time if you don't mind a fuzzy picture on your screen, but the catch is paying in increments for more and more - a hassle and much more than the stated price. Then there is the customer service...very friendly people, but the service does not equal the veneer of courtesy. I have been waiting for five months for them to get the return box of the equipment to the right address, and they are now threatening to charge me $300 for not returning the equipment - they won't let you send it in another box. Don't get caught in this trap!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

They have the worst internet service you will ever experience. You cannot stream movies as they stop constantly and have poor viewing quality. The service is intermittent and spotty. They are also overpriced! I had to spend almost $300 last month on internet because of their limited data plans. Then in cancelling their horrible service, they are charging me $160 + they want me to go on the roof to remove their equipment or will charge another $100. Do yourself a favor and NEVER use them! Worst experience w/ internet that I have ever had. Use unlimitedville.com. Cheaper and unlimited data w/ no contracts.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I cancelled my service in late November. They are still charging me in January stating they’ve “extended my disconnection” date. I finally had to call and say I needed to remove my payment method and they threatened to cancel my service and send me to collections. The internet was painfully slow and after spending 5 hours on various calls I cannot cancel my service. I would not advise them at all!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

1. They use foreign telephone customer service that read from scripts. Most unhelpful.

2. Expensive. And price jumped up $40 and lowered data at same time after a year of service.
    3. Worst speed ever. I watch MAYBE 12 tv shows a month, and that used 60% of my data???? You have to be kidding me.
    4. Installation was a communication nightmare. Took weeks for them to get it installed.
    5. Did not get credit when signal was down for several months. Tech removed a part and said it was not needed. WTF. After removing part, it worked just fine.

6. If you like to watch that spinning dial on your TV screen lots, this is the service you want. Even when we DO NOT use all the data, it just spins, and spins, and spins, sometimes for over 2 minutes.

DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

I have been using Viasat for over 2 years now (because it's either them or Hughesnet) and started having issues with connectivity so I called customer service and the First Lady I spoke to was great. Tried to help me as much as she could then I spoke with the supervisor on duty and at that point was told flat out to stop using my gaming systems and was also told that the only type of special offers was for new customers only to upgrade so therefore was basically told they don’t care how long I’ve been with the company. If I wanted higher gb then I’d have to pay almost double what I pay now which it would go from 179 to almost 400 a month and even then using my game systems I’d be out of data within a week of my plan refreshing and they no longer have “so called” unlimited plans which were never unlimited to begin with….

When I first got the internet the guy told me that it would work with most games just not games that needed higher speeds like call of duty and games that are full on pvp online games And then tonight 1/1/23 was told by a supervisor to stop using my new ps5 system period 'cause it won’t work with their internet except maybe a week or 2 each month. Absolutely do not use Viasat if you don’t have to…. Still do not understand how this company is associated with the space program but yet can’t do better with internet services for its customers.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

We moved to a rural area. Viasat was chosen as our provider, as they "offered" speeds needed for gaming. Streaming was possible, much less gaming! A tech came out and "fixed" the problem. Not the case at all! Our ping was about a 65 when we needed around 700. What we were promised. We were immediately charged for a full month. $266 which is absurd because we had to use our hot spots if we even wanted to watch a movie. I called to cancel and was explaining my issue. The supervisor literally hung up on me and noted that I was rude. Are you kidding me? He would not let me speak. He talked over me and would not hear a word I was saying!

I called back and spoke with another supervisor who basically said "Sorry for your luck"! Not only do I have to pay to return this useless modem, but they won't come and pick up their own satellite!! Are you kidding me?! In this economy it's really sickening to promise and not deliver. I am sick to my stomach over this experience. Please don't make the same mistake we did!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Up until 1.5 mos. ago it worked ok, but slow speeds etc. Now for some reason despite having techs out 3 times & 36 hours on hold w/ Viasat it works approx. 25% of the time now. I have spent hours and hours trying to get it resolved. I will be cancelling soon.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I have been a Viasat customer for about 5 years. I live in rural NC and we have no wired internet or even cell service where we live. For many years I had Hughes Net and then I changed to Viasat. The service from Viasat was about as good as could be expected for standard satellite internet but a couple of months ago, I changed to Starlink and that is where my issues with Viasat arose.

When I left Hughes net, they asked for their router back and I expected that from Viasat. But it turns out that Viasat also wants part of the satellite dish back as well. However the dish was installed where I cannot reach it. And I am disabled and am not able to climb a ladder to get to the part that they want. So I spoke to them and they said that if I did not send that back, I would be billed. Or they could send a technician out to take the part if I paid a fee of $95. My years of faithfully paying the $180 a month fee and the fact that I am disabled did not change any of that. I STRONGLY suggest that anyone considering Viasat think twice. Hughes net has similar service and is easier to work with and more considerate of their customers. Or Starlink may be a good option too. But I would sure avoid Viasat.

Viasat Company Information