1.47/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3034 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I had bundled services through Time Warner/Spectrum and after my two year commitment they were going to jack up my monthly fee. I went from getting phone, internet and TV for $121 to $154 with no changes to the package. Naturally I was ticked, why do they screw their loyal customers and provide new customers with the best deals? Decided to leave them and go to Verizon. The salesperson I communicated with at Verizon said I could get everything I had with my previous provider for $145. I specifically asked if it would include history channel, HGTV and MSNBC. He assured me it would. They come and install the box and lo and behold, no MSNBC. I contact them and to get it I have to go to another package which is more expensive because I have to pay a regional sport fee even though I don’t even watch sports.

Finally I call someone the next day and she finds a way to lower the cost to below what I was originally quoted for 12 months. The DVR will only record 2 shows at a time but you have to watch one of the two. Won’t record two shows if you’re watching a third show. My DVR I had with Time Warner could record up to 6 shows. You can get a similar DVR from Verizon but they’ll charge you $10 more a month so I’d be paying almost the same as I would with Time Warner so Verizon isn’t even giving a good deal to new customers!

I wasn’t able to record a show last night so I went to the demand option to watch it today and they want to charge me $1.99 to watch an episode I could have watched for free last night! I’m starting to regret being a stockholder of Verizon. If this is how they treat new customers they will lose their customers over time. If you decide to go with Verizon, make sure you make a list of questions to ensure you are being quoted a price for the same package you currently have. I for one will look in to leaving Verizon as soon as it’s financially feasible!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

First a simple install took 6 hours. The installer sat outside, talked on the phone, chit chat. Never again, back to the other robber Comcast. The install was 1 TV router phone all in the same place?? Once the install was complete we checked the TV. Some channels didn't work ok. The installer told me it's updating. It did say that on the TV. Ok np so then we check the internet. Fail. The speeds were sooo slow. 15m and at best 50 up and downloads. The installer says, "Oh yeah. That's not good. That's a problem then. Ok. All done. Bye." ??? Now mind you it's 6 hours later on Valentine's Day. I have to talk my love out to dinner and a night out so I call tell them, "Hey my service isn't working." 2 hours on the phone they tell me, "Looks good. Looks good." Then they say, "Oh wait. It's something on our end." Wrong. Still didn't work. Ok. I say, "Now what." They say, "We will have a tech there at 1 pm." Ok great.

1 o'clock rolls up. No show. I call. "He will be there in 5 min." "Ok great. Thanks." 3 hours later no show. I call. They say, "He tried to call you. He can't make it." Wrong. He lied. I said nobody called. Now they call him. "He will be there in an hour." Ok. Wrong. This time he does call and says, "I will be there in another 1 hour and a half???" Really. Then no show. I call them back. Nothing they can do. I say, "Well I have no service. I'm not paying for this crap." They say nothing they can do really. Guess what. I cancelled your service. When I was signing up online the guy in chat lied to me and said I would get enhanced DVR service and my bill would not go up but wrong. They tried to cheat me. It went up $20. That should have been my first clue. They're horrible and scammers.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Terrible customer service. They were always finding ways to charge me more for services I wasn't using. For example, I was using my own bought router. They decided they could sneak in a router rental fee. I called numerous times to take that charge off and it just kept coming back up again and again. Verizon: We have families, homes, jobs, etc., we don't have time to keep calling you about everything under the sun. Thank you for nothing. I have canceled all of my Verizon services.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My roommate was moving out so I wanted to upgrade to gigabit and drop the TV service but just change ownership of the account. I was tried to be tricked into opening a new account numbers times by the online sales reps and then taking ownership of the account so I would be responsible for the ETF fees also on the other account. I have screenshots from the sales rep and her supposed supervisor Rhona.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

First of all, they did the worst job installing the internet wires in the garage. They left all the wires out in the open. We got an inspector to look at it (unannounced). Thank goodness I was home. We have the RING doorbell so we get notifications. We are in Boston and I got a notification that the Verizon guy was there to fix the problem...no one told us when they were coming. How were we supposed to know or plan it out. Now we have to have my father in law go there to meet with the guy. So unprofessional. Absolutely ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I called Verizon customer service in a hope to save money and keep the current coverage based on offers I received from other service providers in the area and explore my options. The customer service representative I spoke with from NY offered me a deal and reduced my total bill with a commitment that I will have the same TV channels and internet speed with the exception of losing one Discovery channel that I did not much cared for. I signed the two-year contract but instantaneously, my internet speed went down considerably and a large number of channels that we like to watch disappeared including MSNBC. She cons me into signing up for this contract and now I am stuck with it and the upgrade will cost me additional money while I was trying to reduce my bill. The unethical way Verizon representative earned my business is mind boggling and a turn off for doing future business once I get out of this contract.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Customer service is terrible. Had to call repeatedly to address issues, left on hold for 45 minutes one night, over 30 minutes another time. Was prevented from receiving my new customer rewards Visa card because they said I missed a payment, even though I can find no record of any missed payment. They are unhelpful and dishonest.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Customer for 18 years, renewed my Fios contract, over the phone with confirmation of services in writing and monthly premium. Its bill came $46.00 higher than original agreement. BEWARE MISLEADING, DISHONEST. TRIED TO RESOLVE AND WAS TOLD, "SORRY. CAN'T DO ANYTHING. BELIEVE ME. I AM TAKING LEGAL ACTION.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I spend more time bending down behind the tv rebooting the router. I’m constantly losing internet connection. Trying to resolve my issues via their Fios App is impossible since I have no internet. Calling them is a nightmare. They either don’t speak English or don’t stop talking. Depends on the time of day. With all the money they make they should really hire people that can actually help.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I cannot stress enough how awful Verizon is. I was one of the first in my neighborhood to get FIOS and, to be honest; it worked well for a while. I know it’s hard to believe but, customer service was efficient and courteous. Before FIOS, I had DSL. I have been a Verizon customer for a very long time. Currently, I have the bundle service – TV, internet and phone. For the past year and a half, I have had issue after issue after issue. Wi-Fi is unreliable; dropping constantly. TV quality is just as bad - pixelation and picture freeze just to name a couple of the many problems.

This past weekend I lost complete service – TV, internet and phone. It’s always a nightmare calling support. This time it was beyond horrendous. I was on hold for 1 hour and 19 minutes. Not wanting to lose my place “in line” I used someone’s cell to call for ONT reset instructions via automation. Thinking this would fix my problem I hung up. To make a very long and exasperating story short, I was first promised a technician to my house the next day. With her system down, the CSR promised to call me back with the scheduled time. Of course, I never received the call. So, I called again and was told I would have to wait another day for a technician to come to my house even though the 1st CSR promised a technician for that day. And, despite my urgent plea that this was a medical emergency – my mother’s heart monitor was unable to communicate with the hospital because the phones were out – they did not care.

Eventually, the ONT was replaced and so far service is working. I have asked for credit for lost service from Saturday evening to late Monday afternoon. I was given a credit of $3.50 for 3 days outage which is absolutely ridiculous. Although I am stuck in a contract with Verizon, I am researching other alternatives. I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions. I would very strongly urge everyone to stay away from Verizon.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I've had an ongoing issue with being charged for service and equipment that I never had connected and was returned to Verizon. Every time I have tried to call and rectify the situation of this outstanding bill, the customer service rep can't find my bill? They confirm that I never had service and that the equipment was returned. So they tell me to wait a month or so for everything to catch up. I get a bill again the next month. Call again, same thing, they can't find my bill with the account number, street address, telephone number, etc. I get the same drill, bill should be taken care of, give it a month to catch up. Then I start getting calls from their collection department 5 times a day; I answer the phone and even the people calling to collect somehow can't find my bill?!

I'm on the phone with them for a while before I get transferred and told to play the same waiting game. I have now been sent to actual collections for a bill that I am not responsible for. Not only has Verizon wasted hours of my time on the phone, they are now messing with my credit. I would also like to add that we had a similar situation at my office where we were having issues with our phones and Verizon, once again, could not find our account and kept on transferring our secretary to other people that could not even look up our account. Is this some kind of joke or scam?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Extremely poor customer and technical service. I didn’t have TV due to set top box problems for the past 6 days and 4 days last month and 7 days in November. It takes over 3 hours to get through and I gave up today. The worst, still they charge you full rate. Verizon services and predatory practices need congressional intervention and please please please for your own sake stay far away from Verizon.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was "encouraged" to switch to Verizon for financial reasons as they were significantly less expensive. Now that I have them I can tell you why. They have some techs that are very good, but you will spend hours chasing answers to issues - and you will have issues. Their service does not interface as well with the competition with my work systems, but they blamed it on my VPN. Funny how it worked with their competitor. I was on the phone for hours with a tech expert because their installer left the system not functioning optimally - basically, just got it running, barely. No instructions given. Everything had to be revamped and rebooted. Installer also explained nothing, moved my stuff without putting it back and left a bunch of his trash lying around.

Third - they gave me a new phone # and poofed my old one without saying a thing. In fact, I discovered it about two weeks later when I was online and noticed that a number I did not recognize was tied to my account. Then I had to go through endless calls back and forth with Verizon and Comcast just to get my number back. Fourth - guide. Terrible. Unusable for those with aging eyes and very poorly organized. I don't use it and barely watch TV as a result. They tell me that there is no way to change the format to be more favorable. Fifth - "CHAT". Don't bother. Entirely incompetent. Do not have authorization to help you on many things so you will be wasting your time.

Finally, you were supposed to get some perks with signing up - Amazon Prime and Echo. This is not automatically done. You have to chase it down and I had reps tell me twice they were sending me an email with instructions. I never received anything. Today, I was told it would be 7 days before I'll see anything. Why do I have to chase something they agreed to give me? And 7 days for an email? From an internet provider? In closing - With the exception of Verizon Wireless (cellular) which is very good: I have spent, not hours, but 3-4 days of time on the phone with these people trying to resolve one thing or another. They do have a few excellent tech people, but it is still your time working with them to fix issues that should not be. I am not exaggerating. The savings is not worth it. Stick with their competition. You know who that is!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I called Verizon over a week ago. Scheduled internet installation. Told them what my availability was and even said I would prefer a weekend so that I am not on a limited time schedule. The customer service rep. confirmed what I told him. We scheduled my appointment for a week later, I get a call from the tech saying he would be at my home in 15 minutes. When I asked him if there was a note stating I am leaving my home at 10:01am and he would be leaving also it did not matter if he was finished or not. He said to me: “Miss I don’t have a crystal call”. I told him, "Do not come to my home" and cancelled the order. When I called to cancel the order the customer service rep. said it’s only 8:15am. When I further proceeded to tell her what I told the rep. last week she started to give me attitude. I finally spoke to a Supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I went onto the Fios site to order internet service. I was given options and an ädd to cart type service. Once I was done I thought great, that was easy. However, they sent me DSL router which had nothing to do with the service I requested. Two techs came out on the day I was told to be available for only to be told the order said they don't install DSL... I explained that I didn't order DSL and wanted Fios. They told me someone would come out to see if access was available.

A week later another man came and told me yes it was available and they would set up a tech to come out on another date. On that date no one showed up. I called Customer Service where I fought with the woman whom explained I would be charged an install fee. I declined and said forget it. She said, "Well let's split the difference," and again I declined being the second day that I stayed out of work. She said, "Ok, I will make note and you will not be charged the fee." Well I am being charged the fee and when I called to complain, I was told, "Sorry there is not a not saying any difference," so they will not return the charge. I have had nothing but grief trying to use Fios.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The Verizon installer damaged my walls. Don't want to fix it and avoiding any responsibility. It's extremely hard to find any live person on the phone. Very unprofessional customer service and you have to call many times in order to resolve any issue.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

That's right folks. If you have any problems or complaints about your Verizon FIOS or Verizon Wireless services, the customer service staff AND the Community Board Moderators will LITERALLY tell you to go to Hell and Wait! I have been a Verizon customer since the beginning. "In 1984, the Justice Department of the United States mandated AT&T Corporation to break up the Bell System and split into seven companies, called "Baby Bells". One of the baby bells, Bell Atlantic, came into existence in 1984 consisting of the separate operating companies New Jersey Bell, Bell of Pennsylvania, Diamond State Telephone, and C&P Telephone, with a footprint from New Jersey to Virginia. This company would later become Verizon."

I was a Bell of Pennsylvania customer, and later a Bell Atlantic customer when Verizon was literally shoved down our throats in 2000. But make no mistake about it--Verizon is the granddaughter of Bell Telephone System. The apple does not fall far from the tree. The reason why the old Bell Telephone/AT&T marriage was broken up by the federal government in the first place was their outright greed and arrogance in dealing with customers. For many, they were the only game in town. When my mother complained about poor service, she was literally told "Where you gonna go? We're the phone company." That same lousy attitude about customer service prevails even today with Verizon.

First of all, there is the misery of their "bundle" of residential services. At first, it may seem like a good idea to sign the bundle contract, maybe it seems like a good deal. But that is only at first. I watched the cost of my TV/Internet/Home Phone bundle rise from $79.00 to over $250.00 in just two years, and that was without buying any premium channels at all. As a matter of fact, their TV service is padded with loss-leader stations that no one wants (shopping networks, radio-type music stations, religious channels, foreign language channels, and retro-television stations that you can get without cable), and one must pay extra to even watch the news and weather stations! But the very worst thing about it is that when the contract expires if you do not agree to accept a new and more expensive bundle, your only alternative is the disconnect the service altogether. I have proof of this in writing. Verizon will not agree to any compromise of any sort. It is strictly take it or leave it. They do not care about existing customers at all. They advertise to rope in more suckers, and they are good at it.

For example, there was a commercial running about internet speed where some poor woman says that her internet is so slow that she'd be better off using the library. Well, what is not told is that the internet speed starts off really good, but at the end of the contract approaches, you get more and more outages, router failures and slowdowns until your computer fails to work much anymore. THE ANSWER? You MUST BUY A NEW AND MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE INTERNET SERVICE AND RENT A NEW ROUTER. But why can't I have the service being advertised to new customers? The answer is that you are an OLD customer, and OLD customers cannot have economical prices.

Then Consumer Reports said that while Verizon has top marks for cellular coverage, it gets poor marks for PRICE. SO VERY TRUE. After 20 years of being a Verizon Wireless customer, I switched to T-Mobile. My Wireless bill for only three phones WITH LIMITED DATA AND TEXTING was costing me over $300 per month. Why? Because the bill was padded with hidden fees and charges that no one at Verizon could explain, but that no one at Verizon would remove. I researched it and discovered that I was being overcharged $127 per month. T-Mobile Coverage isn't always so good, but I am not being financially **, and THAT is very important to a person living on a pension.

Finally, any time ANYONE complains or demands service, Verizon staff is told to cut the person off by referring them to Helen Waite! How? By either blocking you from the Community Forums or directly telling you to cut off your service! Example: In order to lower my bill, I was forced to accept television service with most of my favorite channels missing, internet service with speeds so low that my computers may as well be paperweights, and (worst of all) the new FiOS Digital Voice Telephone system which DOES NOT INCLUDE GUARANTEED ACCESS TO LOCAL 911 EMERGENCY DISPATCH. Just imagine that your home is on fire and you call 911 hoping that the firefighters will show up soon.

Well, under the new system you are connected to a Verizon operator who not only does not know where you are calling from, but who is also under no obligation to get you any form of immediate help at all. (There were victims of Hurricane Sandy seriously affected by this). Just imagine the horror of knowing that your child or elderly parent is trapped in your burning home, and that help may not arrive in time to save them. Furthermore, you also must sign an agreement that you will not sue Verizon for their failure to get help in time. What an abject disaster.

I was just informed that, as an old customer, I have no choice but to accept this "new system" or leave. I was actually TOLD TO LEAVE and given the disconnect telephone number, and I have the chat logs to prove it. When I complained at the Community Forums, instead of helping me, I was permanently banned. Finally, there is no posted telephone number for Verizon Customer Service on their website (I had to search the internet to find one). This means that if a person like me had problems, I have NO ONE TO TURN TO FOR ANY HELP OR ASSISTANCE AT ALL. I have literally been told to "go to hell and wait" for service.

No customer deserves this type of treatment. I am going to file a complaint with the FCC about this, but I have no hope of that going anywhere due to the current political atmosphere. People need to avoid Verizon at all costs. The aggravation is not worth it. Oh--and this is a true account. I am still a trapped Verizon customer waiting for my contract to end.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had a 2 year contract with Fios. I moved during the 2 year period and tried to move my service. I was on the phone for over an hour trying to make this simple move and finally got it set up. Then a week later they called me back and said that they do not actually have high speed internet at my new house, just DSL, which they were going to charge me the same amount for as the high speed. So we agreed to terminate.

At no time did they mention that I had to pay a fee to terminate since I was under a 2 year contract, I assumed since I moved to a place where I couldn't re-enroll, this fee would be waived, but it wasn't. They also "forgot" to turn off my service for 2 months (even though I had moved out and mailed back the box). Each time I called, I was stuck on hold for 20 minutes waiting for people to talk to. I'm on hold right now trying to talk to someone with a 21-31 minute hold time. They are awful. I understand Comcast isn't much better, but Verizon has been truly awful. I'm sorry 0 stars was not an option on this review.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had Verizon for years. They lost my router and expect me to pay for it. ABSOLUTE TRASH. When I called to inquire about it, they were rude and off-putting with the unwillingness to help. I will never use them or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been dealing with Verizon for 17 days. First I scheduled an installation date, they gave me a 12-hour appointment window, so I had to call out from work. I spent several hours on the phone/online with customer service trying to figure out where they were. They never showed. They then tried to show up the next day when I wasn't home and got upset that I wasn't there to receive them. They eventually came back that day once I was home (after I spoke to the dispatch supervisor who tried to blame me for missing the technician) but were unable to install service because they didn't realize they needed access to a separate area of the building.

I called to cancel the following day and was assured I would be mailed a prepaid shipping label to return the equipment. More than a week later, it never arrived. I spent an hour online with a representative who told me they couldn't locate my order. I called back the next day and was told there wasn't an option to be mailed a prepaid shipping label and whoever told me they would mail me one lied to me. I now have to go all the way to a Verizon Store (of course they're not close by) to drop off this ** equipment that they never actually installed in the first place. AVOID VERIZON AT ALL COSTS. The most infuriating customer experience of my life.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

From the beginning of my service with Verizon Fios, it has been nothing but a headache for subpar internet service. I feel like I have to call them every 2-3 months for a "surprise" on my bill, like a sudden service fee increase or charge that I never authorized. Of course, to fix this, they tell you they are happy to help, and then they end up reselling you a contract in order to fix the price on your account - all of which takes no less than nearly an hour on the phone. This whole contract thing with internet/cable/phone providers should be illegal.

It took me 4 times yesterday telling the rep that I wanted EVERYTHING he promised put into writing before he actually got it all in writing. If I hadn't have done that, I would have been locked into yet another contract with the wrong terms (like they sneakily did to me at the beginning of my service a year ago). I hate that there is only one option for service at my home location and that it is this company. Further, I went to pay my bill for 1/2 the amount owed, clicked on that option, and then when I went to change my payment method, the system sneakily defaulted back to the original full amount for the payment - that is a bad business practice right there.

This is a company that doesn't care at all about its customers, and every single "customer service" rep you speak to is trying to sell you something or has a long monologue for why you should do something "another way". When I called to get the payment amount fixed, the rep tried to give me a 10 minute lecture on why I should just let the payment stand as in, even though the full amount isn't due for another 15 days. In Europe, a company would never get away with such sleazy practices as we allow companies to get away with in the US - consumer protection is a complete joke in this country!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My contract expired on Dec 10, 2018, and I notified them that I do not want to renew and I am moving on to OPTIMUM Cable. They continue to send me the monthly bills in spite of me complaining several times in writing and twice talking to Billing department Rep. over the phone. Seems like Verizon FIOS customer service does not exist. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get help with problems. Their answering system only works if you have an issue that fits in a specific category. I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my life. When I finally got a person on the phone, he told me to ignore the bill and he will correct the situation. He asked me If I will give him a 5-star rating in the survey. This happened two times and nothing has been done! I still keep getting the bills via email! Seems like my only course of action is file a lawsuit and take the Verizon to a small court.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

On 1/9/2019 I renewed my Fios account in response to a Nag Screen in my TV program guide. A few simple clicks on the remote I was done. It offered a 2-year bundle for $144.99 and states "quantum gateway router included". A few days later I checked my Verizon online and see I have a 12.99 month charge for a Router, the same day the Postman delivers a router to my door. I have been unable to get a rep on the phone to resolve this, the only one I spoke to says they now charge everyone for the router. That's not what the screen said (I have pictures). I am going to try to resolve this during the week but I am doubtful I will get anywhere in my lifetime. Just posted as a warning to anyone else who signs up via the TV/remote.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Since ordering FIOS in December (for January installation), I tried calling FIOS with some questions. Twice I was put on hold for almost an hour, just to be disconnected as I was approaching #1 in the queue. While they have a "chat" room to communicate, it takes a ridiculous amount of typing and time to communicate. As of this date, my equipment will be coming via UPS or with the technician (depending on who I talk to). I was given a tracking number (when told it was shipped today), but the automated system garbled part of the tracking, so no way to track it.

Funny, I was told it was shipped today, although the chat room person said she had it coming with the tech. As I told the person in the chat room, I guess if he shows up without the equipment I will just stick with Comcast. Hey. Maybe I will end up with two sets of equipment, although I guess they would simply double my monthly charges. Frankly, if it wasn't for their price, I would have cancelled the stupid order. My guess is after their promo discount ends, I will end up back with Comcast. I dread needing technical support. At least Comcast answers their phones. In conclusion, pray for me. :)

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

When you sign a new agreement with Verizon, you are expected to pay one month in advance... YET, when you leave FIOS, they find a hundred reasons, why you're not getting this amount back? Seems VERY fraudulent to me!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Verizon FIOS customer service does not exist. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get help with problems. Their system only works if you have an issue that fits in a specific category. If their solution doesn't work then you are screwed. I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my life. When I finally got a person on the phone he put me on hold and never came back on the line. As soon as my contract is up I'm done.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purposely did not renew our 2 year contract with Verizon Fios as we are were exploring cutting the cord. After our contract ended our Triple Play package was raised to almost $100 more a month. We logged in to the website to cancel premium channels to help reduce the cost. While doing this we were given an opportunity to up our internet speed at no additional cost. Knowing that our internet was extremely slow and that we're potentially going to continue our internet with FIOS we accepted. Nowhere online did it state that we were upping for 2 years. In the email that we received no contract is stated but in small fine print 24 months is mentioned. When I recently called FIOS to cancel Voice and Cable we were told we renewed a signed a 2 year contact and must pay the 350 cancellation. This was escalated to a manager who said they could do nothing but gave us an address to write to.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We had a terrible experience with Fios Internet. We ordered the 100/100 service in Towson, MD primarily for the offer and because we were a little dissatisfied with Comcast Customer Service. We got the service installed, and every speed test we could run told us we were getting 100mbps. Verizon tested and said we were getting the full speed. The problem was, we couldn't load simple web pages, let alone stream content or do anything remotely demanding of bandwidth. Simple sites like Yahoo or MSN took over a minute to load!

No one at Verizon could resolve the issue, so we turned to Google. It turns out that lots of people have had the same issue, but got around it by signing up for a VPN service. The issue is apparently that Verizon is doing a poor job of routing traffic to other sites/servers, so it doesn't matter what the speed test says, normal traffic gets routed poorly. We came across a speed test that tested connections to 5 different popular servers. No connection ever went above 20mbps, and at least two of them were always below 1mbps.

The worst part is that they wouldn't stand behind their service. They wouldn't refund the 1st month's service cost, even though it was mostly unusable, and the worst part is that even though we canceled partway through the first month, they wouldn't prorate a refund! They said it was their policy, but what kind of policy is that! I only use the service for two weeks, it doesn't work properly, and you still charge for a whole month! Don't waste your money on Fios. It's the worst service out there and they clearly don't care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

It is getting very difficult to get through to Verizon-Fios for anything anymore except for renewals. I had the same Problem with the Favorite lists that many others reported on this site. I was only using Favorites 1. About two weeks ago somehow the system generated and randomly populated Favorites 2 and I started having trouble with channels appearing and disappearing in Favorites 1 and toggling between fav 1 and 2. It was extremely frustrating, especially for my wife who has trouble seeing the guides. So I contacted Chat support. They rebooted and reinstalled software and erased all of my settings and channels. I tried to rebuild them and they would change right before my eyes while I typed and then when I finally got it where I wanted it I went back to watch and test and found they had all disappeared and Favorites 2 regenerated. I played with it several times. Spent hours rebuilding all 3 set top boxes.

I chatted again and was told that they would forward it to tech support and they would call me on Dec. 31st at 10AM. It is now Jan 3rd and still no call. I went on chat line again yesterday and complained. I was told they make an appointment for a technician. I asked them to clarify. They said someone was going to come to my house and fix it. I asked who was going to pay for it. They said the technician would give me an estimate to rewire my cable and install new outlets. I told them to forget it. If that was truly the problem, I could do that myself and who would pay if that did not solve the problem? They were not happy and gave me a number to call. My major problem with that entire scenario is they never ran new interior cable or outlets when they installed Fios.

They reused the cable I had put in when I installed two DirecTV receivers. My cables are connected directly to the set top boxes with no outlets. So if the Fios installer judged my original cable was good enough for the initial installation, why should there be a problem if I replace it myself. Obviously, they did not have paid Tech support contracts in those days, and now they want to push everyone into taking out a contract to repair their own equipment. Something wrong with this entire scenario. This morning I was able to reprogram all three boxes and I have no idea why. I have to believe it is something they are doing.

I always had great satisfaction with Verizon and support. Now it is going downhill as fast as their subsidiary AOL, which also has non-existent Tech Support, and has been causing havoc with everybody's systems on and off for almost a year now. Unfortunately, I just opted for a new 2 year contract, but I get offers from DirecTV and Optimum every couple of weeks offering to buy me out of my contract and if this continues, I will take them up on the offer.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Fios drive you to make your account automatically paid because in that way if you don't renew the contract, what the majority of people do, they will charge you with the upfront "discounts", and when you realized you are overpaying it is gone one or two month. They are not valuing their customers in doing this practices. This is happening because this segment is almost an oligopoly.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs