Verizon Fios
2.82/5
  • 1 star
Based on 744 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Verizon Fios

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

2725 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We had Verizon Fios for about five years. For a few years, it was fine. About a year before we finally severed ties with them, our service started becoming unreliable. We would call and go through the technical support dance, usually requiring a few hours of our time, and our service would work again for a while. Then it would stop again and we'd repeat. Sometimes this occurred every few days, sometimes there was a few weeks between incidents. Verizon was completely unwilling to acknowledge that service working sometimes is not the same as service working. They would not offer any credits because our service was not actually "out". They would never actually fix the problem, just apply temporary band-aids that would require more action in the near future. We finally ended up dropping them in favor of another vendor. The act of dropping their service was another major hassle.

Their customer service people either do not care or do not have the power to actually help. I was hung up on multiple times by representatives because they simply didn't want to deal with me. What do they care that I have to call back, wait on hold, go through computer menus and then re-explain everything to another representative. If you decide you want to purchase Fios services, know that someday you will need to call them for some reason. Know that when that day comes, it will be incredibly frustrating and you may or may not get the results you desire. I will never use Verizon FiOS again unless I have no choice. I would not recommend their services to anyone. I would warn anyone thinking about using their services to investigate other options.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I called Verizon to cancel my FIOS cable only on 1/11/18. The representative stated that since I had a bundle deal I was locked in my two-year agreement until March 2018. I told the representative that that was fine. I would cancel my cable only in March. On 1/12/18, my WIFI suddenly works slower. I have two tv's, two cellphones, and 1 laptop. I never had any issues with my service until now. There are no weather issues like rain or snow or anything.

Now it is 1/13/18 and my wifi is so slow that nothing loads as quickly as it previously did and I cannot even use my laptop because the internet times out before the page even loads. When I call customer service they just suggest that I renew my account and upgrade. I was told to reset my router but I am still having issues. I DO NOT believe in coincidences, so how does my WIFI suddenly not perform as before with the same load AFTER I called to cancel my cable? This is business bullying at its finest right here. If I wasn't currently enrolled in college classes, I would get over it, but as a paying customer, it is not right for them to do this.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I am moving to a new place 1/12/2018 Friday and called Verizon Fios for a service installation on 1/11/2018 10PM. They told me the price will be 39.99 + 10 equipment rental fee = 49.99 per month. They said they have to check my credit score or hold 250 dollars for one full year. I requested exact amount before checking my credit score but they said they HAVE to check my credit score before giving me the exact full price. I gave them okay to check my credit score and then they told me there is going to be extra 99 dollar fee for a technician. I do not understand why they need to know my credit score before telling me the exact quote.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

While trying to use my Hulu subscription while at work, Verizon slows down the internet so the show I'm watching can't sync up the voices with the video... That is until their advertisers clips come on, then it works perfectly - MIRACULOUS??? or UNDERHANDED & SNEAKY???

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I contacted Verizon to order Cable, Internet service and a landline for my home. I currently had Comcast and felt I was paying too much. The man with whom I spoke said that I could get the national networks, +3 additional networks: HGTV, GSN, and CNN. This man indicated I could get this off for $79 and change. I was very clear and concise with exactly what I wanted. After some minutes on hold he came back and said that the $79 package had everything I needed, except to get them all in ONE package I would have to pay $15 a month more. I demanded to speak to a supervisor, feeling this was a bit like bait and switch. The supervisor, however, indicated that it was a mistake and that it was $15 more and I acquiesced and ordered the package.

Days later, a Verizon person spent over five hours installing the product in my home. I don't watch much TV so it took about 10 days for me to realize that I had the national networks, CNN, HGN, BUT NO GSN! When I clicked on GSN it said I could order it for another $45 a month! When I called Verizon and indicated that they made a mistake on my order, they said that they would add the GSN network, but that it would cost me about $20 a month more! I said to them that this was the second time that someone had promised me one thing and then charge me more for the same thing and I refuse to pay anymore for what I was promised. I also said I would discontinue the service if they would not give me what they promised me. Verizon was adamant in insisting that the only recourse was to charge me for this network that I wanted. I indicated that I would discontinue the service.

After 12 days with Verizon, I re-instituted my previous service and returned their equipment to the local Verizon office. I told Verizon when I discontinued the service that I would only pay for the amount of time I used this service. I've been on the phone on hold for hours and have spoken to supervisors to indicate that I am only going to pay for the time that I had Verizon service. Verizon is demanding that I also pay $100 for the setup fee, even though they set up the service and did not provide what they have clearly stated that I was going to receive. When I spoke to a supervisor a day or two ago, she indicated that the verbal agreement, even on a recorded line, did not mean anything. She said that I should have read the entire written agreement that was sent to me via email. After all, she said, that is what she would do! I told her that I am not going to pay for Verizon's mistakes.

I have since paid $50 towards the bill, which should comfortably cover the 12 days that I have the service. I am not going to pay the hundred dollars for the installation, which Verizon is demanding that I pay. Furthermore, even though I returned the equipment on December 12 or 13th, 2017, they still did not have a record of it in their office! So that amount, too, was on the bill. I have probably spent about a dozen hours dealing with Verizon's incompetence and dishonesty. It is really sad that a company can run this way. Is very sad when their mistakes are pointed out and they do nothing to rectify them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My total stated on the receipt is $151.90. My next bill is $162.00 due January 12, 2018 which is what I was paying before the 10/28/2017 order. I placed this order to lower my bill. I have yet to pay $151.90 as stated on my receipt. This is my complaint. Why am I not paying the agreed amount on my receipt of $151.90? This type of sneaky situation has occurred several times with Verizon Fios. I'm in the process of changing my cable service. I am totally disgusted with Verizon Fios & their incompetent customer service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My husband and I are a military family and are required to move. We used Fios internet and received orders and were required to move. We transferred our service to our new home and suddenly received a bill for over $500.00. After calling a number of times and being transferred to the Philippians, Iraq and Mulan, I was informed that the bill was taken care of. Not long after, I began receiving harassing phone calls from collection agency and decided to go into Verizon and discuss this with a Verizon Fios representative. I was told I owed nothing to Fios.

I continue to have service in my home. Our service has never been interrupted and we have always paid on time. The customer service is terrible. The only Verizon numbers go to wireless service and you are transferred to Fios, generally thousands of miles outside the United States. They have now reported to the Credit Bureau false information that is affecting my credit report. I am angered and feel discriminated against as an active duty military family. I DO NOT RECOMMEND FIOS. TERRIBLE!!! TERRIBLE!!! TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Verizon deleted Bloomberg News from my cable TV lineup without any advance notice or financial compensation. It was the channel that I watched the most. How can Verizon possibly believe that their services can be significantly reduced in such a "screw the consumer" manner?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

The speed is not as fast as they say and when I am in a hurry to find something, it can get on your last nerve. The price went up a lot but I am not getting any more than I was getting when the cost was a lot smaller. You also have a hard time getting in touch with a person.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Verizon is a very dishonest with the price of their product, they jack up the price double of what they say it is. They take the liberty to do whatever without your agreement. They enjoy the monopoly they have. Stay away from Verizon, they are dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Had Fios for 10 years. Their customer service is a nightmare! You call and press all these buttons ask your name and so on then when you finally get someone 10 minutes later They ask you the same questions. I had appointment for Monday between the hours of 8-12. At one o’clock I called and they said they were busy. That was the last straw. I sign up for Spectrum. What a pleasure. I will never go back to FiOS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have had Verizon for over 5 year and not really happy with them. I will be looking into another company as soon as my 2 year is up and will not be going back them. The pricing of Verizon is always going up and the service does not get any better.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

On 1, December 2017, a representative from Verizon Fios appeared at my home while I was out and spoke to my husband. She kept pushing for us to renew our contract with Verizon Fios, stating that if we did not renew with her, our bill would increase at least $50 per month. The Verizon account is in my name only, not my husband's. I am the only one authorized to make any changes or renew/cancel service! My husband contacted me via my mobile phone and I told him I wanted time to think about this. The Verizon representative was very pushy and insisted we had to make a decision then and there. I then spoke to her. She offered us a renewal that supposedly would cost us $2.00 more per month increasing the internet speed and for a DVR box rather than the traditional box I now have.

I received the upgraded router to increase the internet speed, but never installed it because when I called to question about the DVR box, I was told that we were not getting the box, but they had increased my sports package. I had told the representative on the phone I do not know, nor have I ever allowed any sports in my home. Now, they offered me a DVR for an additional $5.71 per month which we were willing to accept until they then informed us that there would also be a $50 one time fee for delivery of the new box. The sales representative then uses the excuse that the additional charge for the DVR did not appear on her tablet, but she was informed by customer service that it would be a $5.71 increase. In addition, I just received my new bill and it is not a $2.00 increase, but rather a 22.50 increase over the $52.00 per month Verizon is already charging for the cable boxes I now have.

My original contract was due to end on February 15, 2018; now they are insisting I must adhere to the new contract which will not end until December 2019. The sales representative gave us no paperwork, nor were any documents ever signed. Verizon lied and did not adhere to the terms of the agreement made. I was already looking at other companies and had it not been for this individual's high handed pushy sales tactics, I would have chosen one of the other companies. I have contacted Verizon Fios several times, and spoken customer service representatives and to the sales individual who are constantly giving me the runaround. Fios did not honor their end of the bargain and I want to return the new router which has never been removed from the box and return to my old contract ending in February.

I have chosen another company who will provide service including higher internet speed (double what Verizon is offering) and a DVR and other perks for $50 per month less than Verizon and with no contract. Whenever a new contract is made, one is supposed to have a window of opportunity to cancel without penalty. As it is now, Verizon will release me only if I pay a $350 fee. I will not pay this fee and want to be released. My old contract had 2 months to go; the new contract should not have begun until the old contract expired! I am fed up and willing to sue Verizon! Why should I be forced to adhere to a contract which Verizon, on their end, did not honor? Every time I speak to the sales representative, I get a different story... first, she refuses to respond to my calls and text messages using the excuse her phone was not working, then she is still waiting to hear from management.

This company cannot be trusted and I just want to complete the terms of my old contract ending 2/15/18 and have the new contract voided. Please HELP! I have already arranged for a new company to take over my services, (which I can cancel or postpone) but I need to have this issue resolved immediately. My next step is to file complaints against this Verizon employee as well as others and will not be satisfied until their employment is terminated.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

They charged my account for 3 payments in 2 weeks. Only the one payment was canceled as it was on the same day as the second. Now they are not following up with what agent said would happen in the 2nd charge being reversed.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Upgraded earlier this year to Fios Gigabit. Eye popping data transfer speeds... We have multiple devices (Amazon Echoes, Xbox One X, PlayStation, Xbox One, Smart TVs, Smart Devices for security, lights, etc.). I am now streaming 4K content without a spinning buffering circle on YouTube videos... I thought I would never see the Google Fiber type speeds that the Tech savvy zip codes were getting, but I saw the Fios Gigabit commercials on TV, and immediately checked and found that we were eligible. I pay $120 a month for unlimited phone and internet from Fios. At my office, where we have numerous glitches (Comcast never fully recovered from Superstorm Sandy damage in 2012 and the service has been flaky ever since).

On top of that, we had to upgrade to Comcast Business 75 MB down and 25 mb up for $150 a month in order to add voice over IP phones at our 10 workstation office. Basically, I pay 25% more for 93-98% slower throughput speeds, and it has outages 10x as often as well to boot. The difference? Comcast is a monopoly in Pt. Pleasant, NJ for true broadband. Unless you want cell phone speeds, you have to go with them. One town north across the border into Monmouth County, NJ, I have the choice of either Optimum cable or Verizon Fios, both vastly superior to Comcast. Check https://broadbandnow.com/ to see all of the options available in your zip code...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I must say I was hesitant with choosing Fios from Cablevision but with their promos how can I resist! Little did I know those promos even saved me money on my bill. Now using them for a year they now came out with Amazon Alexa! Way to go Fios.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Around the first part of 2017 my internet access started being a problem. I paid to have my computer upgraded. When that didn't work I called tech support and was told they were working on the tower. Prior to that I paid for a new 4g antenna because Verizon changed to that. When I still could not get much service I was advised by Verizon to get a Jetpack, which I did and entered into another contract for the Jetpack. The service got worse. I then purchased a new computer, thinking that my old one was no longer good enough. The new one was no better. I finally called Verizon tech help for the third time and asked to talk to someone above them in rank. That person told me that there were numerous complaints from my area and there was nothing they could do about what was now a total lack of service for me.

I cancelled my service and paid the buyout of the contract (twice, I think). More money thrown in the gutter of Verizon's pocket. I have thrown a couple of thousand dollars away for nothing, and I feel that Verizon should have compensated me for the service I paid for and could not get. Good luck on that one. I am now with HughesNet and have perfect service for the area I live in (remote). I HATE Verizon, and would change my phone as well if there were another service available for a mobile phone in my area. I will never sign another contract with them - ever. Their personnel is trained to pacify you, or stonewall you but not to give you a satisfactory solution to your problems with them. Wish there was a class action lawsuit against Verizon. I'd join.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Is anyone else harassed by Verizon Fios as much as myself. Whether I am walking through the mall with my family, checking the mailbox, or sitting in my living room. There they are knocking in the door, leaving letters in the mail or having their little stand set up at the mall. Just this year alone I must have been asked if I want Fios 30 times. I am perfectly happy with the internet provider that I have and only want to stop being harassed by these people.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Apparently Verizon Fios wants me to honor a contract that they didn’t honor themselves. I signed a 2-year contract based on an offer that I would get a monthly 30-dollar credit to my account for 12 months that never happened. They claim nothing can be done about it and I have to stay in the contract for the remainder of the next 12 months. This Cable company doesn’t keep their end of the deal but expect you to. Service is ok just not worth what you pay and the customer service is extremely horrible. It’s like dealing with bullies that keep you on the phone forever just to torture you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I had Verizon as my cable company. I moved and called to cancel at the end of September. They continued to charge me till January even though they were sent all cable equipment back. I called multiple times in October to see why these services were not cancelled. Basically, they suck and will screw you over whenever possible. Do not deal with them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Verizon has been my company for a VERY long time. They are overall a GOOD company. Customer service is good. They are very helpful. My main complaint is that they continue to raise the price of their wireless service, but the speed of it is so slow. You can get faster speed but it's going to cost a lot more.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I renewed my service with Verizon again on Oct 9th. First contract I ended up paying $245.60 above the quoted price for the year. This time I received a quote for 123.68, however the original person who sold me the plan lied about the channels I would receive. I called back and was told that it would be fixed. It was fixed and I am being billed more in the amount of $40.51 a month more. I was sent a new quote, it never registered that this was my new billing amount until once again I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Verizon. I thought this was another option.

I never agreed to anything other than the $123.68, but due to a service representative's lie, now again I have to stay with them for 2 years and pay for services I don't want. I renewed my contract to save money not pay more with less service. I have several service plans with other companies, however I spend at least 1 hour a month with Verizon, due to poor service or not living up to the commitments. As of this writing the downstairs TV hardly works, and this after 2 appointments. It never worked well, but I decided to see if we couldn't fix the service. It is worse than before, more expensive, and the service is Horrendous. I want what I was originally promised, at the price promised. Their constant bait and switch is just bad business.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Access to assistance to address network issues has gone from fair to poor. Quality of service has gone from acceptable to marginal. I have been on hold for 20 minutes this time for a TV outage. I was on hold for over 30 minutes last week for an internet outage. Think of going back to Cablevision.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

NEVER sign a contract with Verizon again. I have been paying 44.99 for 50mb/s internet 2 year contract. 2 months later they come out with 69.99 for gigabit. The 39.99 for 100mb/s without a contract. So basically by signing up you are committing to benefiting them NOT yourself. Do the math. Their answer is "well these offers are a one year price then the price goes up $20."

If you compare it to the 100mb/s deal, two scenarios can happen: A. For the first year I am paying $5 more for half the speed. And if I were to upgrade the speed I would pay $20 extra for 2 years vs only 1 year. B. If I didn't have the contract I would have gotten more speed for less money, and by the time the year is over there will most likely be even better deals by then that I can get if I didn't commit to the contract trap. The gigabit deal is even much better and much more valuable if I didn't have a contract.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I find it really unfair that you can subscribe to Verizon FIOS service any time you want. However, if you want to cancel it, it has to be done over the phone and only M-F 8 to 5 est. What would be a better service, would be allowing consumer to cancel online and customer rep can reach out on weekdays to retain. Cancel after confirmation; but at least honor the fact that customer wants to cancel. IMO, this restriction might be unconstitutional.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The service as far as clarity is good. The speed isn't as fast as they claim. My computer will disconnect quite often and it will say theres no broadband connection or the connection is lost and several other error messages. The cell phone service does the same. It's probably one of the most expensive companies to deal with as well. My bills are higher than my new car payment. Never less than 200.00 a month. This past month it was just a few dollars shy of 300.00. If you call to inquire why it's so high you will be put on hold or told to call back later due to high call volume and if you ask a question chances are you're so tired of being put on hold or passed from one department to the other that you just give up.

To use the internet on the pc or the cell phone for the most part you get tired of it buffering and just shut it down. Also when you take the bundle with the internet you're promised a 250.00 gift card to be used in any store of your choice but if they find out you have a cell service they switch the card to where it can only be used in a Verizon wireless store. I've had the cell service since 2011 and it was a separate account altogether. It has a separate account number as well but the gift card was applied to the cell service and of course it was only of use in the store for Verizon products. So all in all the internet is not their main priority so it's not at the top of the line. Their interest is more focused on the cell service leaving the rest of their service internet, tv and home phone is mediocre at best.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I have Verizon Unlimited plan with 2 Google Nexus 6P phones. Currently 2-3 bars of LTE. I'm in Mesa, AZ and have been testing the network speed with the Ookla Speed test app. Download speed: 0.96 mbps. Upload speed: 0.87 mbps. Complete RIPOFF!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I switched last week from Comcast to Fios because Comcast price is going up. So far Fios has a terrible system. It is actually slow and it requires so many steps to watch a movie, change channels, or maneuver around… The remote is a pain... The guide has unnecessary colors and the caution letters covers a big portion of the screen… The savings from switching is not worthy... What a ridiculous system they have.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Verizon has the physical fiber network. Their TV is 2nd to Comcast. The guide is just as slow as satellite. On Demand offering is weak. Menu navigation both On-Demand and live tv is slow. The layout for On Demand is hard to navigate. Promo offerings are ok. I came from Comcast and cursed them all summer (2016-2017). The last straw was Labor Day 2017 - internet outage locally. Verizon’s struggle is TV. The user interface and experience is terrible. No talking remote, search is slow, browsing for your favorite show on premium channels is not easy. It goes along with browsing speed and organizing titles which is terrible. I will stick with Verizon until Comcast can lay fiber in my neighborhood.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Verizon Fios fraudulently charged my account claiming I made payment arrangements which were not made. Last month they refunded the money. This month they told me it was not their problem and that they never refund the money as they had done last month. When I reminded them of the mistake last month their response was that was different? Right before Thanksgiving that charged my account when the payment was due in December. After stealing my money they said since the account was paid there was nothing they could do but have a great Thanksgiving. Then transferred me to three sales department to ask if I wanted to change my services. I told them I will be making a change but it will not be with Verizon services.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.verizon.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use