Verizon Fios

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My ex and I ordered Verizon Fios a few years ago. He wanted cable, and we all needed internet. When we moved two years ago, they offered us a package that included free premium channels. The ex left, and I called Verizon to lower the bill. The kids and I don't use the cable, so I said I'd like to shut off the cable. I was told I'd have a higher bill if I did that. So, I asked for a lesser cable package. The rep told me my only other option was a package $10 cheaper and she would offer me a $20 discount. Great.

Flash forward to last week. I get a flier saying Verizon is offering $39.99 internet for a year. I call about that today. Rep tells me my bill would be $89.99 if I got rid of the cable. I ask again about the $39.99 internet. He can't do that, but says I can lower my bill by $40 if I get rid of the premium channels. I asked why that wasn't done months ago if that was an option, and was told I should have been paying attention to my bill.

So, I speak to a supervisor. He tells me he won't credit me back the $40 a month I've been paying since May. I said I'd be happy if he even gave me $10 per month back. He won't do that either. I decided to have my services canceled, and they are charging me a $20 fee to cancel early. I explained I'm in a terrible financial situation since my ex left, and it made no difference. I asked to speak to his superior and he refused to transfer me. I am glad I will no longer be a Verizon customer. They are a reprehensible company, and their reps are rude and ill-trained. I will NEVER use them again.

Received my second bill and "emergency" phone call about FIOS billing. I was offered waived installation fee quoted as $90. I was told by sales person and later by installer that I would see the $90 on my first bill and to deduct that amount which is exactly what I did. After talking to customer service and FIOS supervisor, I was told there was no such offer and no "notes" in my "file" regarding fee waiver. I was directed to write a letter to the customer service team in NJ and then was offered to "split the difference " and pay $45.

I have had Comcast/Xfinity for as long as I can remember. Upon moving into a new condominium it is told to me that, sadly, Comcast doesn't cover the area I moved to. Nor are we allowed to put up a dish. Verizon is the only option. While I'm a little more than a bit peeved about this, I decided to go ahead with Verizon Fios. The tech not only was able to show up the next day, but he was early at that! This man is THOROUGH. He cares and it shows. He saw that the old Verizon wall battery box was painted around so he came to show me what it would look like and discussed ways around the old paint showing through.

I didn't care about the old paint but the fact that he showed concern was impressive to me. He also is laying new cord and he did a very neat, extremely professional job. Over the years with Comcast we've had good techs and bad techs too. The good ones were never this good. I don't want to put his name on this site (don't want to invade his privacy) but he is truly an asset to the company. Verizon, please keep hiring people like this.

I had Fios for years. Pricing kept going up. Technicians are late and rude. I ran into Eric a Xfinity Sales rep and signed me up for $89 for the next two years and free installation and DVR. I was installed yesterday??? I can talk to my remote and the tv changes to what I say. I recommend this service experience and Eric as a sales rep. Give him a call **. Xfinity sales representative.

I ordered Verizon internet service August 16th and that's when the problems began. They never sent me a confirmation email like they said they would so I had to call back the next day which if you have no account or order number is an absolute nightmare because YOU CAN'T SPEAK TO A REAL PERSON. Their automated phone system makes me want to pull my hair out. It's horrible. Then I finally speak to someone who tells me they'll send me the email and still I got nothing. Checked spam and everything. Then I find out (this has nothing to do with Verizon) that I have no phone jack in my apartment, so I had to call back and request someone to come and install it for me. The earliest date they could give me was Sept 1 between 11am-3pm. Over 2 weeks. Unbelievable.

Sept 1 (today) rolls around and the tech does not show. At 3, I called Verizon and they assured me he was coming later on in the day. Uhm they were supposed to show between 11-3. Does that time mean nothing to them? My boyfriend and I cleared our schedules today to be here from 11-3, not all night long. Then at 7 I call Verizon again because this has become ridiculous and they tell me that the tech person came and tried to call me at 5 but I didn't answer so they left.

Are you kidding me? We've been watching the door and my phone for hours. Bottom line is the tech person never showed up and they tried to blame me. So then I say, "when is the earliest I can get another tech person?" and they tell me Sept 19. I cannot for the life of me believe that they think I'm going to wait another 18 days for WIFI after waiting 15 already. I cancelled immediately and switched to Time Warner where I have already talked to 2 people in 1 hour and have been treated much better plus the prices are cheaper. Choosing Verizon was a giant mistake.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

I just bought a bundle package from Verizon, and I can't believe the escalation in costs from their original quote. No way am I paying it. No way. I called any number of times, and their staff just lies. Now they've told me that the exceptions team has removed $76.56 from the cost for this month and will contact me. Right. I've called a half-dozen times. They say that an email is coming. Their original quote to me was $98.69/month-- for phone, TV, and Internet/WIFI. That's with taxes, etc. That's all they're getting after this first month and a half. That's it. Their people have been nice, polite. But they clearly seek to get you off the phone by feeding you a pack of lies. A TERRIBLE COMPANY!!! Not sure what I'll do if this fails. Comcast, I hear, is no better. Maybe explore alternative providers. Unless you're rich and just don't care, I'd recommend staying away from these dishonest mega-providers of internet/TV service.

I called customer service in the afternoon and was informed it would be at least an hour before I'd get to speak to a warm body so I opted for the "promised" call back in an hour or so. I received a call at 12:09 AM that woke my entire family. How dare these morons pull a stunt like this!!! I called back the next day and to date have not received a call and it's now been three days. What an evil company. I'm working on finding another carrier and Verizon can take their contract and sue me.

If I can could give them no stars I would. We had to get support the first day we installed Fios Gigabit which they said would be waived. Our bill came and it was not waived. After countless calls they kept saying it was our fault and are making us pay for services they said were free. Verizon has the worst customer service out!

I have been trying to contact Verizon Fios for two hours tonight. Their entire system is automated and cannot accurately respond to questions that are outside their narrow capacity. After finally reaching a human I get forwarded to another department and the chain continues several times with me not getting anywhere over some fairly simple questions. The operators do not even seem like they want to help but just want to move on to another caller. This entire process is frustrating. At least Time Warner Cable has people that can actually answer a simple question.

Cannot block phone numbers from telemarketers etc.!! I called them over 20 times within a year and a half! I spoke to a tech last week. I can only block numbers if I do NOT get an email for every call?? CANNOT DO BOTH!! THEY PUSH ME TO PAY MY BILL!! PAY MY BILL!! BUT THEY WILL NOT FIX THIS???

I paid my bill a few days late and they a $40 late fee!! Then I paid up the entire amount and the very next month they slapped a $40 fee, so I called and customer service gave me a runaround. They are rude and they play you!! They are not truthful in any way, shape or form!!! From the very first day I got the service they lied about what I would get and the promotion I was getting!! Horrible company. Just horrible!!!

If someone really want to have Verizon service, I recommend them to hire a lawyer before agreeing to anything. My advice to them will be for them to record their conversation with Fios/Verizon customer service. They lie lie lie. Then get rid of evidence and send a text telling you to read the fine print. Crooks!!! Speaking to a live customer service rep. is pointless. Their words are to lock you in a contract. When you start being over billed and you ask about it, they will tell you to read the terms and conditions "the fine print". Their billing customer service rep. will say anything, but their words are bs. Record record record all conversations. They are in the business to mislead the consumers.

I had Fios installed in my place on the 18th of May. Then was told my first payment was due in a month. I got charged for late fees for not paying when my service was installed and late fees for paying my bill on the 18th. They failed to inform me that I have to pay 6 days early "the 12th" or that's considered late. Record record record all your conversation with them. They will tell you they don't record all conversations and that they deleted your conversation.

James from Birchwood, TN wrote exactly what my experience has been. I had 8Gb/month for $80. They talked me into "unlimited Data Plan". Now I pay $220/mo up to 10Gbs, then it's supposed to slow down to 3G speed. It just took me 45 min. to get online so I could write this review! Verizon is a bunch of lying cheats! Part of the last 45 min. was spent trying to get on Verizon's website so I could tell them what I think of them, I kept getting "Internet Explorer Not Responding", "Socket Error" (what ever the hell that is), "Program not Responding -- Closing Program". VERIZON UNLIMITED IS A RIP-OFF!!! After 10Gigs YOU GET NADA!

Lost my internet tonight and rebooted three times and still not working. Called customer service and I have been on hold for over 70 minutes and still holding. This is. It the first time this happens either...

Had FIOS for 4 years and loved the service good until recently. My home internet keeps randomly turning off and on saying that I am connected to wifi but can't access the internet. This is the second time I had to call customer service and have them restore service on my end. The first time took over an hour and this time almost half. I called in and was told by an automated message that there was an outage affecting my area and service should be restored in about 2 hours. But I have neighbors and friends only a few houses down that share the same box as I do and their service seems to work fine. I would know because I'm playing games with them until my net goes out and it's ONLY me. The customer reps tell me its something to with hardware but I made sure to check and do all the normal procedures.

Every time this happens I have to use my data which is also Verizon (does not offer unlimited ) so I'm forced to use my data for the month. I also do some work from home so every time I can't go online I have to say to my team members that Verizon Fios is down again. I don't understand, FiOS was flawless for years but out of nowhere it just turns into DSL. My family pays thousands a year for the 75 mbps download package, and I only average around 62.22 Mbps. Because my net is so unreliable now I have to use data on my family's wireless plan. I'm sick of overages and shaky internet. Until Fios steps it up its service again, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I will also start looking at different wireless carriers that offer unlimited data because I never know when my net will go out.

A year ago I was approached by a Verizon sales person who offered me (insistently) an "great offer" to change from my then deal with Comcast (59.99 all channels I wanted and internet). the "deal" was for 2 years, faster internet, many channels and HBO/Showtime for 79.99. I never understood... that 6 months later INCREASED to 100 and THEN 3 months later to 125!!! And of course the first three months I had to pay installing fees (25 each month)... So now I have had chats, phone conversations with personnel at Verizon, who are very "empathic" but CHANGE NOTHING - one reduced my monthly fee by taking away all my channels!!! DECEIVING, difficult to reach, HORRIBLE services and I feel stuck. If you are thinking about this company and have choices DO NOT DO IT!

We are a small business. Verizon contacted us and threatened to Disconnect our phones if we did not switch to Fios. We have 4 different phone accounts and the reps at Verizon could not coordinate all the accounts and also could not guarantee that we would not be without phones. We had not choice. Verizon was sending threatening letters and voicemails saying they were going to disconnect us. So, we did make the switch which we also changed over to VOIP. Now Verizon is Charging us hundreds of dollars for disconnecting - even though THEY forced us to change. We had to get two new Verizon Fios telephone numbers and the installation was terrible. Since August 21st we have been having issues.

No one at Verizon is accountable. Their installation and service staff seem nice but can't seem to do the install properly. And all they do is complain about Verizon themselves. We were customers for OVER 30 years and being threatened to disconnect us was very disturbing. Now that we made the switch they are penalizing us. We would have been perfectly happy staying with the original copper wire and completing our contract. What a Mess! They threaten to disconnect customers and then they charge the customers for the disconnection? Really, is that legal?

As many people are trying to do, I am cutting back on things I do not use. I found that I did not watch the premium channels that I ordered. I went online and clicked change for my TV package. The only thing I was how to add more channels. After searching for a number to call I held for about 10 minutes listening to awful music. I will try again tomorrow.

My husband and I had been with Comcast for years and beginning to get frustrated with the high costs as we are not big TV watchers utilizing TV for On-Demand movies, NFL and a select few cable programs so we responded to one of the hundreds of FIOS ads we were getting weekly. 99$ for "triple play" free HBO and DVR for one room. 200$ Pre-paid Visa card-which upon the set-up call was a scam as it applies to "in service movie purchase". That should have been my first clue to hang up but I was hopeful to save a little money. We scheduled a set-up, the guy came, gave us a box and a business card and left. No package with instructions for channels - whatever, we're adults. We can figure it out.

I sit down a week later in an effort to "On-Demand" a show only to find we didn't get a DVR box with our set up. I call and find our bill is more than double what I was told! They charged for the install - which was supposed to be free, (the girl did remove that) and after taxes and fees the 99$ was actually 130 and HBO was never free so that was another 15$. That was in March. My husband and I are both full time working professionals with four kids and are in the midst of a large renovation. We do not have time to sit in the queue for over an hour to "resolve this" every day. I have just spent the last 2 hrs on the phone and online chat to no avail which was my 5th attempt.

They refuse to honor the initial plan as according to the email sent to me - confirming my plan that was developed through my phone conversation - DVR was never part of the plan despite that I was DIRECTLY responding to an ad sent to me as a solicitation since which I have received MANY MORE all offering similar packages. Their current stance is that they will not honor the DVR package price as it was not in our initial set-up email quote therefore if we want it our monthly fee will increase by 30$ and if I cancel now I will have to pay 190$ early termination. I have a paper and email-phone trail dating back to March just weeks after the February set up.

I was just on hold for 2 hours and 45 minutes, and still NO response from a Fios Service rep. Ever since they installed my new router, my printer will not work, and other devices have been spotty. I added the correction they suggested initially, and now my Internet doesn't work at all due to some "Mac code".

However, I cannot get them on the phone! How can they make someone wait for 2.5 hours? They need to hire more people!

I originally set up the online ordering for the Gigabit offer which also listed HBO included for 1 year, reg 15/month. The first bill showed different and was confusing so I called to ask why. They said it would be fixed but the second bill listed a dozen "feature" changes with charges and refunds for the bundle. They also are billing 15/month for HBO stating it is included BUT 15/month. They also charged an additional 50 dollars for UPGRADING my NEW equipment that I am renting. They also do not tell you that the STB is SPECIALLY designed so that it REQUIRES THEIR WiFi MoCa router which you additionally HAVE TO BUY OR RENT.

I tried numerous times to cancel my contract BEFORE time expired but could not email, write or visit in person to do this. They only allow phone calls. I spent every lunch for a week on hold, never able to cancel. I also then asked if they see my caller ID as on my account. THEY SEE OUR CALLER ID and when I asked for billing to cancel my account before the deadline, they verify my phone number and transfer me to line that is NEVER ANSWERED? After a few days Verizon STOPPED answering my phone calls since they could see my ID and knew I wanted to cancel within the contract cancellation period. They are breaking every common business law have invented new ways to circumvent current laws. They are probably the decade’s prime example of how a monopoly starts and then keeps hold.

On 7/30/2017, I called Verizon Fios tech at (800) 837-4966 for Wi-Fi tech support. I'd waited for 1 hour and 45 minutes (from 10am till 11:45am) and still no tech to pick my call. This shows that Verizon is not concerned about their quality of service and their customers. Corporate profit is important; but with providing such unacceptable customer technical support services I think Verizon has crossed the line. Verizon has become too greedy.

A warning to anyone considering the Verizon unlimited plan for use with a hotspot or the Verizon internet 4G LTE, your speed will be reduced to 600 kbps when you use 10 gigabytes of data. Your speed will not be increased till your billing period renews. At the 600 kbps you will not be able to stream making your unlimited data useless! This is not being properly explained at the Verizon stores. Watch a few movies and do some windows 10 updates and you will find yourself running at less than 3G speeds. BEWARE!

I have been a Optimum customer for 16 yrs so I never really knew the other options available for me like Verizon Fios TV, internet, and phone. I've heard numerous complaints but I am the type of person to make my own judgment. I went ahead and switched to Verizon Fios after being misled to a 30 day trial no obligation and free installation. Sounds good right?

I was charged for a jack install that was never mention to me of being an additional fee attached. Optimum does not require this btw. The service tech left a mess of wires everywhere. Along with the sheet rock dirt all over my carpet. He now goes to my basement to run the 3rd line and makes a mess there along with running staples along my walls with 0 care. Half the wire hanging and huge staple gaps. Before leaving he takes a #2 in my bathroom and tells me have a great day. This was a nightmare from beginning to end.

Now this leads me to Verizon Fios bundle. After 13 day of fighting with each service flitching and freezing I decided to cancel. I called cancel and returned all the devices. Simple enough right? No, three weeks later I get a bill for 261.54. I called Verizon spoke to 4-5 customer reps who could not help me. 2 supervisors who would not even reduce the bill, I felt I owed 0. It was a trial period they failed horribly and they did not win my business. So I now have to pay 261.54 towards 13 days worth of nightmare services, like it or not.

One year no service. On and off = home phone, fax, dsl. I had over 20 Verizon workers come out and did not repair anything. I live in a rural area. Verizon basically told me to get rid of their service and find another service which there is none. Cell phones don't work. No 4g at all. In one year I had the best service for 6 weeks then basically every time it was windy no service, I was never allowed to use the fax. It will not work since day one. It took verizon 4 months to hook up my house. I called every day and still no one came. I have no idea what to do. Verizon told me to get better cell phones and boosters and get HughesNet. I said no. So they stopped coming altogether. Worst service I ever seen in my life. It takes 3 hours to get a tech to come out. There is no foreman to see if the issues is cleared.

After the guy comes out it takes the next guy a minimum of 9 days to come back some times 3 weeks. I tried for managers and got denied. There is no one to help. They just wait until to you cancel your service. plus their employees are mad at me that I am begging for help. Phone horrible static. dsl on and off. When it's on its barely running through low speeds if the wind ain't blowing. Fax don't work. I disconnected my home off the service and went to the box itself outside. Still nothing. No dsl no fax no clear home phone. Verizon don't care. They keep telling me to find another service after I have been paying them for a year. It seems they don't care about copper lines.

Discontinued Verizon Fios service. Over billed for final month. Last bill for >$200 was adjusted to $40.69. Was informed by Verizon not to pay a bill for more than $40.69. Never received a bill. Verizon turned the amount to a collection agency. Extremely poor billing practices. The FIOS service is overrated and expensive.

I called Verizon Fios trying to take off the phone service in my place. Because I don't have a jack in my place and even though I didn't want the phone service even if there was a jack there. The customer service lady tells me to have my landlord put the jack in since you don't wanna be charged for the technician. I said I didn't want it anyway. So the customer service lady says, "If we take the phone off your bill going to be higher than the promotion bill." I just hung up the phone. It's clear to me that Verizon Fios company only care about the money as they never informed me that they had another plan for tv, and internet for $55.00. As they wanted me to pay $129.00 for service that I did not have. I was being charged for phone service and I did not have a jack in my place. I will not ever get Verizon Fios again as they did not compromised me with a better service plan without the phone.

Fios/Verizon has caught me in one of their Bait and Switch Promotions. I ordered the Fios Package of internet, land phone and TV for $115.00 Sept 2016. Last month they started billing me $128. $13.00 more than my contract or $150 more for the year. I complained. They said they told me this when I ordered this package. They never told me this. Then they said they sent me an email advising me there would be this up charge in one year. I asked them to send me a copy of that notification and they did. HOWEVER I could not find this information in their EMAIL notification. It must be somewhere hidden in all their long maze of print. Everything else is out there in bold but this upcharge MIGHT be hidden somewhere in this maze of words making it difficult and impossible to find. FIOS/VERIZON are into a BAIT AND SWITCH Promotion.

I live in an apartment building. Fios is the worst. The speed is so slow I am able to leave the computer for hours and no connection to the web or Optonline tells me to log in. I do not have optonline.net. Fios has me in a 2 year contract that doesn't allow me to switch to Optonline which seems to be better and faster. I tell all my friends do not use Fios.

Be careful of signing up for Verizon's Unlimited Data Plan. It is, in my opinion, a fraud. When I signed up, I was told that after 10 gigabytes of use that the service would drop down from 4G to 3G. This is not true, the service choked down to zero at times and at other times, it is so slow, that it is impossible to use. I am not getting 3G but much slower and at times 0G (that is zero G).

I was on the phone with technical support for over 3 months and they were unable to solve the problem. They had excuses as to why it was not working; mostly saying it was my fault. Finally, I demanded a technician come to my property to solve the problem. At first, they wanted a $150 charge to have someone come out, but after I complained, they said that because I was such a long time customer, they would wave this charge this one time only. While the technician was friendly and seemed competent, he gave up. He replaced equipment and ran a speed test. He said that the equipment was functioning correctly, but the download speed was WAY below 3G.

I phone tech support with this news. They had me run another speed test and it too showed that my download speed was well below 3G. They then informed me that the Unlimited Plan was not designed for my Home Fusion system and the only way to solve the problem was to buy a much more expensive plan. I was never told that my system was not intended for their Unlimited Plan at the time I signed up and it was never suggested during the months of trouble shooting with tech support. Rather than admitting they had a problem, they used the old bait and switch scam. I am a VERY disappointed long time customer. As soon as I can find another internet provider, I will be switching to a more reliable company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.
  • Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.
  • Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.
  • Best for Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Compare Internet Service Providers