2.1/5 (60 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: April 23, 2022

I quit Optimum Internet and went back to Verizon for my home wifi. The reason was very simple, they offered a much better price ($ 75 vs. $125), and the service is a workhorse, it just works. Five years ago, Verizon had the same bait and switch pricing model as Verizon. They'd offer a low price, with escalating clauses after a couple of years. Thankfully they've ditched that.

Verizon also offered an inducement (they paid for a year of Amazon Prime), which they actually paid. Optimum offered a $100 gift card, which they never sent, and when I called to ask for it, they sent me to a couple of different numbers, all for no result. More vendors should offer clear pricing and good product, not gift cards and other marketing gimmicks. Who wants to spend time dealing with home wifi? No one. Everyone wants good service with a reasonable and transparent price, and good service when there's a problem.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was upset and perturbed when I got on the call with a customer service rep called Jay bc I had gone into specifically the Fios website about 2 weeks ago and PAUSED autopay bc I only had half of the bill owed...the IT dept never received the notif and I was deducted 120 dollars today which put my account (checking) into the negative and I was already late for an appt and decided to hurry home to take care.

Mr. Sam ** was so nice and explanatory and took care of the issue and refunded the monies and set up my new notifications and eased my worry about the account going into neg. He was pleasantly helpful and I hung up with a nice feeling of how they received my concern and handled it in a few minutes with no problem. Thanks to Mr. Sam ** who was the supervisor and also in future to call and ask for him if I needed. I highly recommend fios bc the other company I had been using wasn't as efficient and also more expensive than fios so a great thanks today and I won't worry about my checking acct now and will apparently receive the refund in only 2-3 biz days as opposed to the standard 7-14 days!! Wow thanks again Mr. **!!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I want to review a Rep whose name was Mike at the Orange Plaza location in Middletown New York 10940. This man helped me tremendously with very little effort. He seemed very educated and comfortable with what he was doing and how he went about how he solved my issue. I would like to see more people like him.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Good quality internet as long as installed correctly data speed and quality of latency is good. The equipment that they provide is good however you can purchase the equipment instead of renting it which would save you money on the service itself because they charge a monthly rental fee otherwise. Verizon has won JD Power for Excellence for a few year in a row and in comparison to other providers that I have experienced, the service and quality of their product internet and tv quality is superior and they also offer more channels than other carriers. A lot of people may say it's just internet or just tv but when it comes to pricing but it matters where you getting what you pay for. Pay attention to the upload and and download speed that other providers offer. People believe that streaming is download only however, it all depends where you are getting your content and streaming from that decides.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have been a customer of Verizon Fios for 8 years now. I can honestly say we have had very few if any issues. When I contact tech support the wait is usually minimal and the technician has been very knowledgeable and friendly. Would stay on the line till the issue was fixed. Verizon usually follows up the next day to ensure the problem was fixed.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Please read this account of the avalanche of foul-ups, disruption and aggravation Verizon put me through. And consider how Verizon essentially blew me off. Do you really want to sign up with a company that does business like this? BRIEF SUMMARY: THE WORST: Verizon committed the cardinal sin of WRONGLY DISCONNECTING my DSL and landline service. I most certainly DID NOT request the termination of my service. A Verizon customer service rep did so either accidentally or intentionally. I was without service for three days.

While that was bad enough, it set off a cascade of additional FOUL-UPS and SHODDY WORK by Verizon that left me unable to perform my freelance job, cost me income & time, and caused me days of aggravation. Among other things, a Verizon rep also mistakenly DISCONNECTED my XFINITY CABLE service, leaving me without TV for a day and a half, which I need for work. It took three visits by Verizon techs to fix what previous visits got wrong. This caused me great inconvenience and disruption. I had to reschedule multiple appointments because I had to be home when the techs arrived.

I spent HOURS on the phone trying to resolve these problems and was regularly met with substandard customer service – including being repeatedly transferred from one Version department to another because the reps were ill-informed. Further, despite being assured that Verizon reps or supervisors would call me back on one matter or another, NONE ever did. Verizon’s response: “We don’t compensate for inconvenience.” And a Verizon corporate executive, after recounting her own problem with a cable company, summed it all up by saying, “That’s life.”

CHRONOLOGY OF THIS MISERABLE EXPERIENCE: April 15, 2022 – I called Verizon to simply update my auto pay information. I had changed banks and needed to change my checking routing and account number. I spoke to rep “Jerome.” Had a pleasant conversation, though he pushed hard to persuade me to sign up for Verizon cable. I listened to his pitch, told him it sounded good but wasn’t ready to make any changes. I asked if there was a way to contact him if I did decide to change cable from Xfinity so he could get credit. He said no. He proceeded to pitch me again. And when I said no, his tone changed. All of this can be confirmed by listening to the recorded call.

April 19 – As I tried to log on to work from home at 3 a.m. (I am a freelance news editor), I discovered my Internet was not working. I called Verizon and they scheduled a tech for April 20. (The Version rep I spoke to said NOTHING about my service being disconnected. WHY? Wasn’t that info available for the rep to see?) April 20 – The Verizon tech showed up and discovered my service had been disconnected by Verizon. The tech was decidedly annoyed that he had been needlessly dispatched to my home since there was nothing for him to fix. April 21 – I called Verizon to report this and was bounced around from department to department. I also suspected fraud in disconnecting my service. I requested an investigation into why my service was shut off. Rep AJ said it would be looked into. She said the disconnect order had been placed on April 15. AJ said she would get back to me on April 28. (She never did)

April 21 – I recalled that I had called Verizon on April 15 to update my autopay information. I suspected Verizon rep “Jerome” had either mistakenly put in an erroneous disconnect order or did so in anger because I wouldn’t sign on to Verizon cable. April 21 – Called Verizon to give this information to AJ, who was not working that day. Spoke to supervisor Ms. ** in “verification” and gave her the info and asked her to ask AJ to call me. AJ never did.

April 21 – Verizon informed me that my previous service could not be restored because Verizon was no longer supporting DSL. I would have to get FIOS. I expressed my strong disapproval. My DSL was functioning beautifully and my service was fine I had no interest in FIOS. I said I wanted to be restored to what Verizon had WRONGLY removed me from. And I said I wanted my service restored IMMEDIATELY so I could work at my job. Verizon rep said that was impossible. The Verizon rep said I would not be charged the $99.99 installation fee. That was hardly a significant concession. I was FORCED to switch to FIOS – or leave Verizon, which at this point I could not do because of my need to have uninterrupted access to high-speed Internet and my extremely overburdened life. OF COURSE Verizon should not charge me for the FIOS installation fee, since I had no choice.

April 22 – Verizon tech Robert came to hook up FIOS. But, due to a misunderstanding, he used the wire for my Infinity cable to connect to FIOS. That meant I had NO TV SERVICE, which I rely on to do my work. The misunderstanding came when I told the tech I had Verizon landline, DSL and cell. He asked if I had cable. I said no because, in context, I interpreted his question to be whether I had Verizon cable, which I don’t. But he interpreted my answer as saying I had no cable at all. Would’ve been far better if he had been specific instead of making the erroneous assumption that he did. Regardless, I was left without cable or TV, which I needed for my work.

April 22 – That tech, Robert, also screwed up when he set up an online account for me. When I tried to go online on April 25 to sign up for auto pay, the username & password he set up did not work. So I had to call Verizon to straighten out another mistake by Verizon. Verizon customer service rep Nitu ultimately fixed my access. More needless time and effort spent by me due to Verizon’s mistakes

April 22 – Same tech, THIRD mistake. Robert hooked up FIOS by plugging in to an outlet that is controlled by a light switch. When I turned off the light that night, the FIOS equipment made noises and shut off. More noise from router when I turned the light on. Clearly, this was the wrong place to connect the router, etc., and no doubt would have harmed the router.

April 24 -- When I called Verizon customer service to complain, rep Naveen actually said this: “Why didn’t you tell the tech about the light switch?” I am the customer. I have NO KNOWLEDGE about electric matters, nor should I. It is the TECH’S role to know how to do HIS JOB. But this rep actually tried to put the onus on the CUSTOMER?

April 24 – When tech Robert installed the router and other wires, he left the cables & wires in a tangled heap. (I have a photo which I will provide.) The router’s cable was short and Robert did not come prepared with longer cables & wires. Instead of going back to his truck to get the proper equipment, he just jerry-rigged the set up, including connecting to the outlet controlled by a light switch – which was clearly visible. April 25 – Tech D’Angelo re-installed the router, etc., with longer wires and checked to make sure everything was working properly. FINALLY, it was.

May 11 – I called Verizon to register my detailed complaint and to request a response from Verizon. I was connected to Matt, a supervisor in billing. I asked to whom I could send this long chronology and request for Verizon to address what it has caused. Matt told me there was no way to email my complaint. He also said that Verizon didn’t have anyone who could address complaints such as mine. I was surprised. So I then advised him that I have the name and email address of Verizon’s senior vice president for customer relations and offered to provide it to him. He did not reply. He asked me what I want.

I said I want Verizon to tangibly acknowledge that its actions in this episode are unacceptable and that the company will demonstrate it believes in making up for its errors by providing compensation to those customers who have suffered financial hits due to Verizon’s mistakes. I said it is common practice for companies with integrity to do just that. Matt asked me how I know that. Apparently, he is not well-informed about the consumer practices of the best companies. I asked for three months of credit for my services. He told me the most Verizon would grant me is $50. I asked him what he would think if my experience with Verizon had happened to him. His reply was extraordinary: He said he would re-evaluate his choice of companies. While likely an honest reply, it served to effectively let me know Verizon would be fine with me going to a new company. I suggest you review the recording of the conversation.

May 19 – Nancy **, Verizon Senior Vice President, Consumer Sales & Service, called to reply to the email I sent recounting my experience. She, of course, “apologized” and offered me a $50 credit and said Verizon does not compensate for “inconvenience” (Understandable, since the company would go bankrupt if it did.” She recounted her own bad experience with a cable company and, essentially, equated it to my experience, and shrugged it all off as just “life.”

IN CONCLUSION: For the record, I have found NO IMPROVEMENT in speed or anything else w/ FIOS. Days upon days of disruption, aggravation, lost income. With no benefit as a result. That’s the bottom line of this miserable episode. All I have received is a symphony of Verizon’s “apologies.” If my life were not unduly complicated at the present time, please know I would abandon Verizon ASAP and sign up with another company now. But I am stuck until I can.

Original review: May 23, 2022

They don't even deserve 1 star! I placed my order online for internet prior to our move. I was asked what date I would like the INSTALLATION. I selected 5/21. Moved on 5/20. No technician showed up to install. My daughter from NY just went through this with them and had to tell me they don't send anyone - they ship your equipment. Chatted with them online only to be told I needed to contact UPS, to which they finally provided a tracking number.

UPS Tracking showed it was delivered to the front door 3 days before we moved in. Called customer service and was told I need to file a police report and they are charging me for both routers if they send a new one. I told him to forget it and cancel my order and service (of which they turned on on the 18th also, 3 days prior to us moving in!). He gave me a hard time about cancelling and finally cancelled but said they were going to charge me for both routers plus a month of service. THEY ARE THE WORST CUSTOMER SVC EVER!! I was considering switching all cell phones from AT&T to them as well after being a loyal AT&T customer for 4 decades. I WILL NEVER USE VERIZON for anything.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Hi. I bought and paid for Verizon Small Business Essentials domain and business email on Thursday May 19, 2022. I used the business email to send a few emails inviting people to a meeting I was hosting, a free event I was paying for fully from my own pocket. After a few hours, I was blocked from my business email, unable to receive confirmations of attendance of our meeting despite spending my time and money on organizing the event. This completely disrupted my meeting.

So basically, Verizon Small Business Essentials took money from me and shut down the service I had just paid for within a few hours without any proper explanation or refund. I used the service exactly as intended, that is, to send emails. So violation of terms should not be an issue. I called at my own cost the Verizon international help telephone number on Saturday May 28, 2022 and on Monday May 23, 2022 but after a long time with their customer representatives, they still could not resolve the problem. If Verizon is interested in resolving the problem, the Case reference number they gave me is: **.

Regards,

Tony.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Verizon has the worst service I’ve ever experienced! Overpriced; frequent outages; long down times; and when you try to call to check on or report outages, you’ll be on hold for an average of 30 minutes. Due to my location, I have no other choice for an ISP, but I have to have service due to my job.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Verizon Fios just removed ANOTHER 3 of the channels from our Extreme HD package that we pay over $220 for every month. They've done this many times over the last few years, but they never replace the channels with something else, nor do they lower the monthly bill even though we're getting fewer channels. I finally got fed up and contacted them, pointing out I'd been a Verizon customer for more than 40 years, a Fios TV customer for almost 15 years, and all I was getting was less service and fewer channels, but continuing to pay the same amount every month. Their excuse was that sometimes they have to remove channels in order to keep costs down. They give all kinds of incentives and little goodies to get new customers, but they screw over their older, loyal customers.

I guess Verizon has to save where they can so they can keep paying the the CEO his $19 MILLION a year in salary, compensation, and bonuses (according to 1salary.com for the year 2020). I'd love to be able to dump Verizon, but unfortunately there are only two alternatives to Fios in our area and they are every bit as horrible as Verizon. I would NEVER recommend Verizon Fios or anything else connected with Verizon to anyone because all you're going to get is less and less service at the same price.

Verizon Fios Company Information