1.2/5 (41 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Very disappointed in this company. I switched from Optimum to Verizon. They advertised that if you switch, they will give you a Google Home and a $200 gift card. It took a whole year before they finally send the gift card- but it a gift card that can only be used at a Verizon store. They did not have a google home, so they gave me an extra $100 gift card. While trying to use the gift card, found out it has a 0 balance. Now it taking another 2 months of trying to get it replaced. I this point, I think I will take my lost and just cancel my service and Verizon is a company that lie to customers and false advertises.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Reached out via chat to inform Verizon that due to fraud reported on my bank card, they may not be able to charge payment scheduled in another three days. Representative told me I had no options, except to get another debit card. Mentioned that there was a special offer for service upgrade without price change - but I would need to agree to that immediately; I declined to make a decision at 3am and requested additional info. After disconnecting, I saw multiple emails notifying me that my auto-payment was suspended and that I was enrolled for new plan, the price on which was the same only for the next two months, before increasing.

I called the next day - and was told on an automated line that a rep would call me back. Received multiple callbacks with silence, automated recordings, being put on hold, multiple messages being played one over another - a total mess. Finally received a callback that connected me to a person - after several minutes of automated prompts and holds. The person apologized for the experience and recommended I never use chat, told me that my automated payments were stopped, but my plan was not actually changed. When I asked to reverse was was done without my consent, I was told that I would need to re-enroll to auto-pay myself. She was very polite and apologetic, but completely unhelpful with either reversing what was done or giving me any faith that this would not be a typical experience.

The web site is incredibly slow and produces random errors on various pages. Just getting to the right website is a challenge: there are different web sites for phone and FiOS, that look alike and it is not clear which site you are on or how to get to the other one - but they are not interchangeable: different logins. Finding anything on the website is a nightmare.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Jan. 9, 2023

My Verizon internet service has been restored again... for now anyway.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

$1,000's of dollars lost due to Verizon's faulty equipment. We have lost our internet service to our Apartment Building 5 or 6 times now. Verizon has a faulty box of some sort that supplies our Apartment Building. The tenants in this building lose connection for days at a time and sometimes over a week at a time on each instance. This year on 12/24/2022 at around 3:30pm we lost our internet connection "on Christmas Eve" and for the following 4 days, our Children could not even use their new Christmas presents...And they're on Christmas vacation from school! All because of Verizon's faulty equipment! 4 days later, I took time off from work "again" to meet the repair tech, he did fix the problem with Verizon's equipment and we regained service... But only for 3 days!

Today we just lost our Internet Connection again 1 day prior to New Year's Eve. I wake up to find no internet. Connection is out again! Yes the kids are still on Christmas vacation... Now I'm on the phone trying to contact Verizon again, losing more time and money from work "again" as I try to get Verizon to repair or replace their faulty equipment! Verizon has us paying good money for a poor connection, faulty equipment and slow repair service, plus all the many hours I've been forced to lose from work on the phone with Verizon and all the many hours I've taking off from work to be at home for repair technician appointments as well.... And Verizon just keeps sending me the bill. What about my bill for the thousands of dollars in lost time/income dealing with Verizon's faulty equipment!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

Verizon expects people to walk around with their phones or laptops connected to a wire because I got 1GB internet and wireless. The most I hit was 120 mg. Most of the time it lags and I get 30 to 40. I am going back to SPECTRUM. I switched to Verizon because of a better price for 1GB and I regret it. I was getting 10 times faster speed with my 300mb with Spectrum than I am with 1GB internet with Verizon. Don’t waste your time and money. Seriously call Spectrum. They are much much better and they don’t transfer all your calls to the Philippines or India where they can’t understand you and when it gets too hard for them they hang up on you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

You have to go through hoops just to get your account balance. First you call the 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966). The AI asks you the same questions over (is this number associated with your account? Is this your home account?). Then it transfer you to a representative who makes you provide all of this information then wants to retrieve more information while stating you can get your account balance online or via your email.

Look I am in a position I cannot get online and I do not use that email address they have on file. All I am asking for is a simple request for account balance. Even credit cards provide it by calling, supplying an account number, maybe other info and the AI tells you the balance.

Another complaint, I wanted to block calls (mainly spam) from my line. The support at Verizon FIOS was impatient and told me it's this whole process and I need to access my email address and download their mobile app. I do not possess a mobile device because the one I had from Verizon FIOS could never receive calls for some reason even though I paid every month so I got rid of it. Well I called them months later asking again how to block calls and the lovely lady I spoke to told me a simple method using my channel changer to go in the menu option and select call logs where you have the choice to block certain numbers.

I use to work for Verizon back in the day when it was POTS and copper lines. I understand the advancement of technology created changes and with it come conveniences. But this company seems to want to insert inconveniences to the customer while charging high fees. I don't need to pay elevated prices only to be hassled when I call for customer requests. Xfinity, COX, even CenturyLink have an easy to use system to provide for your needs. I think it's time for me to change my provider.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I’m getting charged for 4 extra lines that doesn’t belongs to me and one line is connected to a device I have service on, this situation been going on for 6 months and fees piling up to 2500. Now that my business line is disconnected I’ve contacted them over 500 times and all they did was remove 3 lines and still haven’t given me any credits at all. I lost my voice and have a headache and pissed because for months they been telling me the same ** someone will call me in 24-48 hrs and still no call ongoing and I need my business line. I’m about ready to pull all my hair out because of dealing with the dumb company. I will never recommend no one to go to them for anything….

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

On the afternoon of November 30th, 2022, I went to what I thought was a real Verizon store at 2699 North Forest Ridge Blvd, in Hernando, Florida 34442. Their phone number is 352-527-2355. To my surprise, they sell Verizon items, because they are authorized retailers. So don’t be fooled. I was greeted and assisted by Nicole. We reviewed the different products, as I was going to be a new Verizon user. I had been to T-Mobile and never had an issue, but unfortunately due to my relocation, Verizon is the only provider that works in that area.

Facts:

1. I worked with a young lady, named Nicole. I made one phone call to my friend, Craig to help me with some initial phone choices.

2. I was going to be a new customer with the opportunity for free (not so free) equipment.

3. Chose Google Pixel 6, Samsung T227 Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, and Google Pixel Watch.

4. I was told there was a restocking fee of $50 if I did a return.

5. I switched my T-Mobile number that I had for years to Verizon

6. I did not know I was going to be charged for three lines, each device having its own. This was not discussed. To my surprise, this is what happened with a charge of over $277 for phone line services. Second surprise.

7. I went to Verizon in Hernando on Saturday and I was told that the exchange could not happen due to computer issues, it would be two or three hours. I went to the store with my two friends, Craig and Jessica. Craig asked the Sales Rep about earbuds and the rep was able to look them up. He also said that the folks that were sitting and waiting were waiting on their phones. I should come back and see Nicole on Monday. Seems like if there were computer concerns, everyone would have to come back. He told me to just see Nicole. I should have been assisted. It felt like I was being brushed off by someone else. Very sad, as I am disabled and it takes a lot for me to walk into the store.

8. When I returned the devices on Monday, there was a $50 charge but not for everything…$50 for each device. This was a surprise to me. Nicole came over to another salesperson, who was working with me (and I brought my friend, Jessica again) said to do the return, and walked away. She was not nearly as nice since I was returning everything I had purchased. She was very nice to me upon the purchase and I even said that to her supervisor. Sad, now that I am no longer a customer, to be snubbed. That same supervisor came over to the desk, where I was being helped by, I believe Michael. I can’t say for sure, because my refund paper works says, Nicole and Henry. He spoke to my friend, Craig who was trying to explain that I had no clue about three restock charges. Henry said that this is policy.

9. I purchased a charger, screen protector, and case. I was able to return the case but had to eat the cost of everything else. Apparently, you cannot credit or return accessories. I did not know this. Not never had an issue with T-Mobile.

10. After sitting for what seemed like hours, I had to pay money to upload the information from my Verizon phone back onto my T-Mobile phone.

11. I have to remark, the sales clerk even had trouble getting a hold of a Verizon customer service rep on the phone. After all of this was completed. We left.

12. I called Verizon and spoke to Lisa, who was very concerned about how I was treated as a customer, especially since I am disabled and it is very difficult to sit or stand in one place for very long. She said she would get me a refund and have me put back to New Customer Status. We would discuss sending me a phone and I would be reimbursed my money. The only thing I had to do is turn around and drive back to the store and make sure that the equipment was listed as returned. She could not help me with the three phone numbers still being active. This was supposed to have been done in the store. So, once again, I am back at the Verizon store. The same gentleman assisted me and my friend, Jessica. He said it was taken care of on his end and documented that Lisa did not see it obviously. He called Verizon. While we were sitting in front of him, the Verizon phone rep, put our salesman on hold, then another person got on the line. Our salesman started talking to him and the gentleman on the phone RUDELY suggested that our sales rep was racist. This is happening in front of us, the customer. Michael (I believe that was his name) was very professional. Told him he was going to hang up, get a different rep and report this. They exchanged words and Michael hung up. Our salesman was wonderful and professional. He apologized for the phone rep's behavior in front of us. Appalling. Lisa (Verizon Rep) did call on my friends, phone since I didn’t have a phone at this point.

13. I was there till 5:30 pm now and left to go home. I arrived home at 6 pm, in the dark, when I have issues driving, of course, this was very bothersome. All this time was spent trying to just get a return and a new phone. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to spend six hours total at this store. So, now I am home and getting T-Mobile on the phone. I had to use my friend, Jessica’s phone because I clearly needed to get my service back and I can’t be without a phone due to my disability. (She lost work pay by staying with me)

14. T-Mobile was incredible. The problem was, I was never given a transfer pin. So, I called Verizon and my T-Mobile rep was going to call me back in twenty minutes. It took longer, but I did finally get a PIN. I gave it to my T-Mobile rep, but it was wrong. Another T-Mobile person was patched in to help. I called Verizon back and I had to have T-Mobile Rep, now Ann on the phone. The rep from Verizon did not understand, I could not get anything texted to me for verification, because I didn’t have a cell phone. I explained this several times. I kept asking for a supervisor.

15. Note to all, I must have asked for a supervisor on every call and no one was available, ever!

16. Now, back and forth with Verizon to verify me, finally happened, but not without tears from me and my friend calming my nerves down. I was never treated so poorly in my life. I tried to explain I needed my phone back on tonight. My friend missed work due to this situation, because she could not leave me without a phone to make these calls to Verizon, which should have been taken care of when I left the store to give to T-Mobile.

17. Finally, and thank God for T-Mobile, I was able to get my old number back. But they said they would have given me a temp number due to the fact I have physical limitations and really needed to be safe, I needed a working phone.

18. Exhausted and in pain from what I was put through, I decided to wait till the morning to speak to someone about finding this “LISA” to get me reimbursed and talk to me about the treatment that I received. She was appalled. She said this is not how Verizon handles business. Apparently, Lisa was wrong, because it was the worst customer service e I have ever experienced.

19. Today, December 6th, 2022…I made many attempts to call Verizon to have someone assist me with this issue. Never a supervisor is available. I was told to write Verizon. It talks about three to five days for even a response. I took the address, just Verizon, PO Box 408, Newark, New Jersey, 07101. They will be getting this letter.

20. I was told that Lisa was being asked to call me. It is 6:40 pm and no call from Verizon. I will be going to Verizon in Brooksville on Friday to see if someone can help me face-to-face.

21. Money lost, treated so poorly, and taking forever to get anyone to answer the phone at Verizon. No customer service.

22. So, here I sit, back with T-Mobile, but I am moving on Monday to an area where the only cell service that really works there is Verizon. I cannot afford to not be a new customer, as their plans and phones seem to be the most expensive out.

23. I will be going to my bank to dispute the charges. It is so sad this experience has left me wishing I have to be with Verizon. I wonder if others are having issues.

In closing, I wanted to be very clear about why I am so unhappy with the product and with the lack of customer service I received. The staff knew I was struggling in the store, due to my physical changes. I explain that same scenario over the phone, but no one cared. It just seemed scripted. Very sad. I have tried to do this complaint by the protocol, and chain of command and I have hit a brick wall. No one cares. I have tried to be polite. I did cry on the phone because I am out a lot of money and I don’t have a phone.

I understand policy and procedure, I worked in administration for a large portion of my career in healthcare. I will be complaining to the Better Business Bureau. I will be going on social media to let others know about my experience, so they don’t have to go through this. If you don’t have to use Verizon, I would stay away. My own personal experience. I will be contacting a consumer protection agency to see if they can investigate this situation.

I am sure there are people out there that enjoy this service. I wanted to be one of those customers, but sadly, that did not happen. So, I am in a situation where I am moving on Monday to a place where I can’t get phone service, I am disabled, so this should be interesting. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Please send me a message on Facebook or Instagram.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

I have screenshots that the website (maybe accidentally) offered me Internet-Services for 4.99$/mo. Later an agent confirmed it. Then they billed me Internet for 40$/mo and additionally a router for 99.99$, even though I did not order a router.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Dear current and future customers. We will make promises to you and go out of our way to break all of them. We stand on lies and breach of contracts. We will tell you, "We are sorry and that we understand your frustration but we don’t. We say whatever we can to make you shut the hell up." We don’t give two ** about your problems. We sleep with no problems and still cash out our checks. Love always VERIZON.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I have now been through 3 weeks of literal HELL because Verizon's UNIFORMED salesman "sold" me on signing up based on MISINFORMATION. I wasted HOURS and HOURS on the line with Verizon attempting to get their "Fios" service up and running. Instead of the promised 300 gig I got maybe 17 gig. FINALLY, after hours of getting the runaround and being transferred to one wrong agent after another, by some stroke of luck, I got a tech support person who told me THE TRUTH. FIOS DOES NOT WORK IN AN APARTMENT BUILDING. Not only that, the idiot signed me up for 2 accounts, not one. So when I thought I had finally canceled my service, they continued to BILL ME!!! To add insult to injury, they had no record of the cancelation email they sent me!!! Now they tell me they can't email me a label because my account is canceled, so I need to wait 7-14 working days for a DAMN LABEL!!!! I can't get closure on this horrible experience to save my life.

Verizon Fios Company Information