Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Verizon Fios Shop on FYI

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

1. You will be tossed between the sales team and tech support team for NO reason. Every time I called Verizon customer service number 1 (800) 922-0204, it has been the same situation. You probably should block your calendar for the whole day to deal with an issue that no one will own or take time to understand. 2. A salesperson complained about the tech team and asked me exactly what can she do :)? And DISCONNECTED the call!! All my experiences with FIOS customer care/tech support shows that they are either not trained to deal with customers or are not skilled enough to troubleshoot issues.

3. I was told that downgrading my speed may help with my internet issue. And I believed the tech support person so agreed for it, and the downgrade happened instantly. Then when the issue was not related to speed. An order was put by tech support to upgrade the speed. The upgrade never happened (after 7 days). Moreover, I was charged more for no reason related to troubleshooting fixes recommended by the tech support that ultimately was unnecessary (need for FIOS router, etc.).

4. Now, I am on the call with tech support again to ask why the speed has not been upgraded? (Last night, while on chat the sales team told me to call tech support as they saw no issue with my speed). After 30 mins on a call with tech support, I was told that I will be forwarded to the sales team as tech support doesn't have the tools to fix the issue. After 2 hours on being the call, neither the sales team is available and nor is the tech support person's manager available to talk. I am at the mercy of the tech support member who is patient enough to not disconnect the call... until now. 4. Finally, my verdict is the customer service/ tech support team is WORSE than COMCAST. At least Comcast does not do petty things like hanging-up on you, not trying to understand the customer issue, etc.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I wanted so bad to have a good experience with Verizon FIOS. I switched from COX after 20 years. I actually had good service with COX but they kept raising the price. FIOS had a deal too good to pass up. They were so easy to get in touch with prior to the switch over. Once I switched and had a problem with one of the boxes I had to call customer support. Hours on the phone, no call backs as promised etc.. While on hold for over an hour I tried the online chat support which was slow as well. Eventually someone answered the phone, and gave me opposing information from what the Chat person said. I did schedule someone to come out between 12 -2:00. Of course they did not show. I dread calling back to reschedule because it becomes an all day thing. Get it together FIOS. For years you sent me offers, and had people knock on my door to get me to switch. It's much easier to keep a customer than get a new one.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Worst customer experience ever. Would not even give one star but had to since it was the only option. Placing a new order is a nightmare especially when you are talking to someone with a thick accent. When you get past that phase, you get to know that there is no Fios availability - despite the Verizon website confirmed availability for your address. Now calling a tech to install the fiber optic is another nightmare as the customer tech rep cannot do that because their end of the system does not let them do so. So cancelling and reordering is the only option.

When you get to that point of reordering you find out they have listed your phone no. wrong ... and not just by one or two digits, the entire phone no. is listed wrong. On top of everything, they set up the payment ahead of installing the service. They do not let you use your credit card. You have to set up your debit card or bank acc. info. Although the payment system enlists credit card as one of the payment options. Worst service, worst company, worst customer service so far I have experienced...and I had internet services from the third world countries I visited. Absolutely hate Verizon Fios!! Better to go for any alternative I would say!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

I been with Verizon for over ten year, back in April during Pandemic I was on line, saw Comcast has promotion in which most of my are IT and they prefer Comcast internet because the speed more stable for streaming than Verizon and I compare the price and speed with Verizon. Their window pop up from Verizon customer service for chatting, he offer me will increase my speed for the same price plus sign up auto payment take $149 off for insulation, but will have Verizon tech to come in to just the wiring, since I been with Verizon over ten year waive $149.

After 2 month waiting for Verizon tech come l and told me they reduce staff because Pandemic 19, every time I call wait time 45 minute to 1 hour or get hang up, Today I called billing customer check why they did not just my bill now. They told me different story that will adjust after the Verizon tech came which I been waiting for months since April. I ask to Manager. It got worst. She told me I will be charge $149 and does not have any record when chat with Verizon customer. DO NOT CHAT WITH VERIZON.

This lady introduce her self Donna manager and I ask her ID. She would not tell, and she told me I need to look at the actual bill. I need to download pdf. I believe Verizon hire this individual work at home. She sound like a cheap salesmen. No customer skill. Verizon corporation needs to clean up they staff and follow up with customer, not to keep customer, it is not going to work. Now 3 days prior my installation (a just a wiring because I am already have Fios) Thief now I being slam $149. I will shop for another internet provider.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I have been trying to get thru to Verizon for several days. Currently, I am on hold for 1 hour 42 minutes after getting a rep who had to switch me to a different department. Over the 12 years we have had Verizon, it has been one frustrating situation after another as our bill increases. The service is horrendous and the few times I have been able to get to a rep it's just exhausting as they read from their scripts trying to upsell. Most of the time I use the online app but I cannot due to my account or adjust the plan online. For the fees they charge, the service is nothing more than a scam.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

On 08/10/2020 I was not able to reach someone at the Tech Support Dept. with long wait times more than 39 minutes on the line without success. Every time I called back and speak to a live customer service representative I was offered to have someone to call me back at a later time, when transferred to that option it was just getting disconnected.

My frustration is not just the network, Wi-Fi not working properly, but the Live Representatives are not understanding us the consumers frustration of not getting the service we deserve and I pay every month on time since I have the autopay already set up from when I first started with Verizon. The automated system runs test while on the line but later we lose internet, and Wi-Fi. They don't offer alternatives, I suggest they should at least provide a one time courtesy credit and then keep the services, and if it still happens without success or any change then I should have the right to cancel the service without an early termination fees being imposed.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I was transitioning to another carrier and didn't ask to be put in another contract and when I called to cancel I was advised that I was in a contract and had to pay $300.00 or my bill would go to collections. Spoke with the manager also and couldn't get a decent solution. I will never come back to Verizon Fios. They are too expensive and their customer service is not the best - they didn't even try to get me to stay with them. So long!!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I have used FIOS as a service for over 2 years now. We have enjoyed a good relationship until now. It is sad that FIOS chose to double bill me for a period during the Covid lockdowns and since then sent the claim to a collection agency without prior notice to me or even trying to reach out to me to sort out their issues. Clearly the company has leadership issues. I am looking for another service provider.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

We have been Verizon Fios customers for a while. We upgraded our internet connection few months ago to gigabit (2 people working from home). We have experienced lot of issues and can't get a live person to speak with. I have called several times. Their automated online system only has few options to report. The chat option has very long wait times or the system kicks you out. I was waiting almost an hour on Friday to talk with support and online chat kicked me out. I decided to call right away 8am the next morning when they opened 95 minutes later I gave up. Least Five houses in our block has the same problem with Verizon Fios. The internet connection drops constantly and the speed is very low. Today I tried to watch a movie and got a message that the broadband speed is too slow and I need to watch the movie later. So, I am paying for a gigabit and technical support and I don't get either.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I cancelled my service with a balance of $200. Verizon said it was okay to make payments. When the balance was down to $50 and two days before I paid the last $50, unbeknownst to me at the time, they reported the $50 balance to the credit agencies. In my conversations with Verizon after the fact, one of their representatives actually left me a voice mail agreeing that this matter should not have “ever hit” my credit report since I was making payments as agreed. It was apparently done by an automated system. As he also stated in the saved voicemail message, the representative recommend to his supervisors that the negative information be removed from my credit report, noting among other things, my excellent payment history over the years I was a customer. His supervisors nonetheless REFUSED to follow their own employee’s recommendation or assist in any way.

Based on their own admission and all the facts in this case, Verizon has violated multiple provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, including, but not limited to, 15 USCA sections 1681(a)(7)(A)(i) & (ii) and 1681(a)(1)(B). Stay away! Just look at all the negative reviews. They have ruined people's credit even during a worldwide pandemic!!!

Verizon Fios author review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team