3.52/5
Based on 1,939 ratings submitted in the last year

3101 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and business related so it is very important to us.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Pricing is extremely high besides that, and the complications of discontinuing services. Many companies I dealt with in the past, but this company has it hands down! Verizon is the only company who l see myself in dealings with. The best to ever do it. Yay Verizon!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Honestly, the only thing I can complain about is the Tech who installed the thing. And I wouldn't even call it a complaint. He didn't necessarily have the people skills, but he was good at what he did and ended up going above and beyond. The signal is great, the speed is great, and it's all at the price of $55 a month. There are a TON of bad reviews here, and I'd like to urge anyone reading this to consider the fact that 1 out of 10 people who received good service will write a review about it, but you best be sure that 9 out 10 bad experiences will be voiced. I am very pleased with my service and haven't had a single issue in 9 months of having the provider.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Their customer service is not good. You can hardly ever get someone to answer the phone. The waiting time sucks. They call you back sometimes after more than an hour. Once somebody answers they are fine.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am currently happy with what Verizon provides for a basic price, although most of the better-rated shows are on channels I must pay more to receive - not worth it for me! I can entertain myself in other ways - my cable bill is high enough!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been a customer of Verizon for over 20 years. Two years ago they replaced a bad router at no charge. I was told my two year old router had to be replaced with a router that was 5G capable. This time Verizon wants to charge $199.00, or I could pay $12.00 per month until it is paid off. It makes me think that Verizon somehow is disabling old routers so we are forced to buy their new router. I could be wrong but there seems to be a number of router complaints recently.

Original review: June 19, 2019

So when it was first connected it was great, for about 4 months. I signed up for the Gig service, and was informed that they could not guarantee speed as long as I was using wireless, but expected me to get >300 mb/s which I did... fairly consistently. Then four months into it, my speeds began to drop, significantly until I was getting about 20 mb/s. I worked through their automated troubleshooting, as well as their over the phone/technician troubleshooting. All to no avail. I then asked to have a technician come to my home to see what was causing the issues, and I was told that they do not send techs out for "wi-fi problems" and that as they do not guarantee wireless speeds, I was just going to have to accept <20 mb/s speed.

This was unacceptable and I had to change supplier. So the bottom line was that I paid for 1 Gig, initially got around 300 mb/s but after 4 months could only get 20 mb/s. And Verizon refused to do anything about it, basically telling me that I must just accept it. Now they want me to pay $150 to cancel my service. Worst experience with an ISP ever.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had the worst experience today waiting for the technician. He didn’t come on scheduled time. After I called customer service, the representative was totally rude. She said my appointment was changed to a different time frame. With attitude! So how come nobody told me about it??? Then she put me in a long hold. I called again and was told the technician is only few minutes away. And of course he didn’t come... I don’t recommend Fios Verizon to nobody!!!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I've had to contact customer support for two separate issues over the past two years to resolve account issues. These issues were created by Verizon. Each time, it took several conversations (each conversation lasting more than 1 hour) over the course of several weeks to finally get resolution. In these conversations, the agent would constantly appear supportive and understanding and yet provide false information and ignore previous assurances. Only after really pressing (asking for a manager, threatening to end my subscription) would the agent then offer a resolution they previously said was not possible. While the financial cost of these issues is marginal in the long run, at some point it becomes a matter of principle and decency. I would immediately cancel my subscription with Verizon but the thought of getting on another support call to do so is currently unbearable.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Since December for a large majority of customers the whole network protection part of the FiOS application has not worked. We rent a router from Fios for this use/purpose. After spending a combined total of eight hours on various service department calls we were ultimately told they realize it’s an issue and they do not know when it will be resolved. Biggest problem was that the individual departments had absolutely no idea what the other departments are doing, seems like a significant lack of knowledge sharing between groups. Resulted in a large amount of time wasted resetting routers, installing, reinstalling applications, etc.

As it has been over seven months and I am not optimistic they are not planning to fix this. Interestingly in the last year they now offer a paid service (in addition to your paid router) which allows you to essentially do the same features as the previously free home network protection allowed. Ultimately will be trying reduce ties to Verizon as the added fees have really skyrocketed.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My fiancé and I were approached by a young man going door to door working for Verizon. He made grand promises about Verizon which may be or may not be true. Our experience unfortunately was the opposite of what he praised. We agreed to have an installer come into our home and install Verizon’s equipment. He did so in approximately 7 hrs and then left. Come to find out the internet was never tested nor functional. Wires were Stapled to my wall not straight but in a zig zag pattern. Devices in the living room were poorly placed and tens of feet of wire in knots and rat's nest behind the tv (which is seen from public view).

Wires ran under doorways to another room (still to this day). Master room not fully installed nor functional. And finally the installer left. Had I been home during the install this would not have transpired. Later come to find out a priceless piece of art my fiancé and I had made as memorabilia was cracked and broken. Wire hides were peeled off the wall requiring the wall to now be sanded and painted and hardwood scratched (very careless moving objects to do his job).

A repair team came to fix the mistakes made as far as the install went and rushed away still not finishing the install. I then requested twice for it to be complete as it should have been done for it to be ignored. Today I spoke with customer service and they offered me 5 dollar discount a month. An honest disgrace. Customer service I’ve noticed is trained to all reply with rehearsed responses and not actually sympathetic in the least to resolve any issues in my opinion (or at least what I’ve noticed). My experience when our contract is up. Bye bye Verizon and it’s well trained bull.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I was a client of Verizon for 17 years, I know that all the bad expressions that are known fits me... then you know why I am writing this note. I never check the charges on the monthly receipts, I thought the representatives helped me with the arrangement of monthly payments when I could not pay, I trusted blindly Verizon.

I had purchased the package with phone, internet and television, in one of the charges "service, equipment, and discounts" appeared for $ 30.99 reviewing found that it was for the rental of two HDSet-Top Boxes that we had been using for almost ten years. Seeing this charges meticulously, I was paying for these old boxes without including the router $ 20.00, when in other companies with an improved model they rent it for $ 2.60 max. The router... the router $16.00 Acciontec MI424wr, that neither putting renewed power... could transfer 2 mbps.

Was I paying $10.99 for maintenance of the line inside the house??? How is that?? Then the line inside the house is Verizon?? But when I asked them to disconnect those connections in my house, they said they were mine. I was paying for taxes, government fees and other charges $31.36, CATV universal fund fee? FDV administrative fee? Fios TV broadcast fee? Apart from all this, $25.00 for basic service??? More the bundle internet 75/75, extreme tv $ 99.99.

How do you see it? And to top it all I call to repair the service, for a month they never showed up but they gave me an NJDQ service ticket... Since March 16/19 and they never arrived. I got tired of requesting maintenance for my non-delivered service. As I was paying for a service they were not giving me, I called to discontinue this sick relationship. For two weeks I talk... even with the Verizon CEO's cat (??); they promised to disconnect the service, omit the charges generated since March 14/19, they promised to send me a new status.

Today June 11/19 is still as it was. What should I do? When we had service 3/14/19? How do I stop the accumulated charges if the CEO's cat or dog has no decisive power to issue one? Or simply was not the abuse committed with all the premiums for this service enough? This is what is called a monopoly? And who protects us from these giants with power the Federal Universal Fee? Or the Regulatory Recovery Fee-Federal? Or the State Sales? WHAT DO I DO?

Original review: June 6, 2019

I'm a Fios customer for a year, my experience is very disappointing and frustrating for the following reasons: Fios Gigabit is just a name, is slow. For gaming is the worst internet. Frustrating for my kids. Keeps disconnecting every night. I have to unplug and plug the electrical surge to reconnect. When I work at home, keeps disconnecting. I called customer service, they try to fix it remotely, it works for 30 minutes and disconnect again. I told the representative I need a technician, he said probably I have to pay $100 for the tech visit or he tries to sell me a $15 protection to not pay $100 tech fee. I didn't do anything to the router and they try to blame me for their malfunctioning system.

I was an Optimum customer for 12 years and this will be my last month with Fios. I will pay my last bill and go back to Optimum, same Internet and better TV definition, better channels, for example Weather Channel. I have a hearing loss problem. I use Closed Captions and with Fios is terrible. You can't read it. Optimum is clear. Closed Caption is solid and crispy. When you are watching live TV the image freeze for one minute. That's when I came with the opinion that Fios have a different setup, as they say it's not cable, and yes, it's not cable. Fios Gigabit is just a "name". Is the same Internet quality that any Internet Service Provider can give you. I dont want to promote any other company. I'm just writing these lines to help in future decisions to honest, working consumers who work for their families and provide them with commodities. We pay for it and service must be outstanding.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Last Thursday Fios internet went down. Called customer service. After spending 2 hours on the phone with them trying to fix problem remotely had to schedule repair appointment by technician. Earliest available appointment was for Saturday. On Saturday two technicians arrived, after spending about 2 hours and replacement of ONT and wires fixed the problem. Internet was up for 24 plus some hours and then went down again on Monday. Called customer support again. They suggested to replace the router. New router was delivered on Tuesday. Plugging in new router did not fixed the problem. Called customer support again. Tech visit was scheduled for Wednesday. On Wednesday new tech arrived at the house and after spending 2 hours and replacing everything that previous tech replace problems was fixed - internet was reconnected. 2 hours after tech left internet went down again.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I signed up for Verizon Fios home internet service 3 years ago, when they had a special promotion for $39.99/mo. The promotion ended after 12 months and my bill went up to $69.99. Then after that first year, my bill went up to $95.99. When I called and asked them if they had any promotions to lower my bill, they said no. I vowed to switch back to Comcast after that, but then just got too busy with life. I finally switched this week, and tried to end my Verizon service, but they say I am on a plan and will have to pay early termination fees? What sort of plan was I on that I did not sign up for or even know I was locked into, that is basically charging me $100/mo for 100 mbps internet (not the 1G service)??

Original review: June 4, 2019

I came to Fios after years with Xfinity. One thing I don't like about fios is that they make you pay for everything on demand. They barely have any shows I can look at for free unlike Xfinity which had a lot of shows I can binge watch on demand. Fios better get with the program!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have to admit that the service that Verizon offers is excellent. But they price gouge with every time your contract comes up for renewal. I'm sorry but a 35% increase for the same thing is NOT reasonable. I've been haggling with them online and by phone for days because I don't really want to change my service. But $50 more a month for essentially the same thing is outrageous.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Came home to no internet or cable. After waiting 20 minutes on hold the customer rep (using title as joke) t, the agent keep asking me for account number. It's hard to get account number when you do paperless and don't have internet to log in. The rep couldn't comprehend what I was talking about. After another 15 minutes of this, I tried to give her my home address, but she couldn't even spell "drive". After 45 minutes of waiting on hold and talking to someone from somewhere, I went to my neighbors (they have Comcast) and logged on and finally issue resolved. Looks like Monday I'll be switching back to Comcast even though I prefer Fios....

Original review: May 24, 2019

No one at Fios knows what the other department is doing, or else I wouldn't have to call one department or the other and getting runaround and/or get disconnected. I referred someone to their service and I still have NOT received the gift card.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I signed up for 100mbps plan with auto pay to install Fios internet on May 18 2019 for $39.99. But the plan that got activated after service installation is Gigabit. I don't know what happened. I have the proof in my email what I actually ordered. I contacted your customer service on May 18 2019 itself when I figured out Gigabit plan is activated. I told your customer service the original order # and are saying I never ordered that and it's not in their system. So they are not believing me.

Anyway the customer service changed my plan back to 100mbps, on May 18 2018 and they told, I will get autopay discount from the first billing cycle itself, if I set up the autopay now. So I did set up autopay within no time and didn't got autopay discount on first billing cycle. So I contacted customer service again to know why and they are saying that the going back to 100 Mbps is accounted as a change to my original plan, so I will get the auto pay discount only after 2-3 billing cycles. Now, I don't even know whether I would get the $50 visa prepaid gift card which was in the offer when I first signed up for 100Mbps plan. Please try to keep promises. -A frustrated Fios customer.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We have been a long-term customer of Fios, and really like the service, as well as the technical support branch. Customer service is pretty terrible, but maybe you can avoid the pitfalls we had with these lessons learned: #1 Buy your own router - we got a good one for $60 on Amazon, after years of renting theirs for $12/month. They automatically add that rental fee in if you don't tell them. #2. Never believe the chat people if they tell you they will send you a confirmation email in 3-4 days, or if they tell you they are going to waive a fee (which they may offer to, but then don't).

Get it in writing right then, and copy the entire chat somewhere so that you have their promises in writing. It took 3 tries to get what was promised - not sure if that is typical. #3 Don't even try to call - you may get hung up on while on hold, as we did. #4 Call to ask for a better price when the year intro price is up - it is hard to remember. #5 Read the fine print, as prices will go up.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I attempted to switch to Fios from Optimum bc of promised lower billing for internet service. The tech came to my house and left without installing anything. I'm certain he went to the wrong house because we were in the front yard ALL day. When I received a text saying, "Sorry we missed you," I attempted to contact them immediately to see what happened. The apologized and gave me a new window from 2-4. The tech NEVER showed up and no one called. When I attempted to call them again this is where is all went south pretty fast. It has been 3 days and I have not been able to speak with a human being. NO was able to help. I was switched to a different department EVERY time I called and ended up in a dead end voicemail or automated hell. After about 6 hours of attempts I gave up. I will NEVER deal with Verizon FIOS again. Good by and good riddance.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have been with Verizon for a number of years and I have always been very satisfied. I upgraded my Internet on March 26th through their "helpful" Chat option. We negotiated and went back and forth on terms and internet speeds. We finally came to the activation part and I received an email with the cost and there was a charge for $149 setup fee. I asked if it was possible that a loyal customer could have this removed as a courtesy. The person assisting me checked with someone and came back and said yes. (Apparently this was the first lie) He said go ahead and approve the order because it cannot be removed until after the Order has been signed.

I asked him specifically if I needed to take a screenshot of the conversation for record and he said no because all of their conversations are kept for record. (Lie #2) I was assured that this would be taken off before I received my bill. Shame on me for believing what the representative said. Now, maybe I should take partial ownership of this case, because I was too trusting. I believed what the representative said during our conversation, I believed that the conversation would be on record and I believed that Verizon would stand up for what their employee promised. Once I saw the bill, I have spoken to at least a dozen people and spent at least 4-5 hours speaking with people in regards to having this removed. Every chat I have had since April 2nd is available online, except for the one on March 26th, which I find convenient.

Today, I finally spoke to a supervisor (Susan) with Verizon and she was unable to help either. She said that even if they found a recording or found the chat from that day, that they still would not have taken it off because he would not have had the authority to make that promise. Well, that should not be my concern, either honor what your employees promise or get out of the customer service business. I work in a hotel. I cannot imagine the outrage one of my guest's would feel if they presented something to me that one of my employees had promised and I just said no that I would not honor it. From a customer service standpoint, this would be completely unacceptable and my guests would be writing their displeasure all over social media.

I am very disappointed in Verizon right now. I have spent over 5 years with their home service and over 5 years with their wireless service. I have never had anything but positive things to say about them until now. This whole interaction has left a very bad taste in my mouth in regards to trusting the company in the future. How can you have employees work for you and make promises to your customers and then not honor their promise? Very, very disappointed.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I found the advertised low price misleading, and to get the price comparable to my old service I now have fewer good channels. The service also "blacks out" for a few seconds consistently on one of my boxes. I replaced the box, still same issue. Makes watching in my main TV room unbearable. This was not the case with my last provider. Finally, the internet, despite being advertised as faster than my old service, really isn't. I was forced to rent the Verizon router and it's not nearly as good as my old Netgear router. So costs go up, experience goes down.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Well where is it??? I'm not doing FAQ. I'm not doing automated. I have a document outlining the issues with wireless and Fios. If there is no resolution, and it must be handled by a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT! No wild goose chases. No time, no tolerance, no patience for that! Not resolved and adjustment made in one week, and I will call to get the director of your consumer relations to email or fax the document with the issues, I will be pulling the plug, and expressing the issues in detail all over social media.

The classification of communications company, from the experience I've had in the nearly 2 years as a Customer and several years a landline customer, is very dubious at best. The J's power distinction- It's more like JD Harmeyer - I strongly suggest you make my ability to personally speak with Consumer Affairs- to address the wireless and fios issues, as easy of an experience as humanly possible!!

Original review: May 6, 2019

Verizon has bad business practices: After one year, Verizon increases my monthly fee without advanced notification. After I realized the change, I called to request the fee to be the same as rate published on their website for new customers, they refused. When I canceled the service, they still charge the full monthly fee despite the fact they only provided service 5 days out of 30 days.

Original review: May 3, 2019

After being sold nonsense and promised that we would have the same current package that we did with Optimum at no extra costs and our bill *would be better*, should have known this was all a lie. Terrible customer service on top of it all, telling us we had to buy extra things, soon our bill jumped from 146 to 180+. Needless to say we switched back to Optimum. My advice is to tell salesman not to promise things the company can’t keep, and Customer Service - step your game up.

Original review: May 3, 2019

During two attempts to upgrade my wireless router I was not given the full details. During my first attempt the customer service rep told me I was getting a free router. I just had to approve the contract via email. When I looked at the contract there was a rental fee that he did not disclose to me. When I confronted them the response was this is a legitimate charge and refused to address the fact that is wasn't disclosed up front.

During my second attempt I was told about the rental charge but I explained I do not want a monthly fee and wanted to buy the router lump sum. The sales person repeatedly pushed the the rental fee. Went as far as cancelling the upgrade until I finally had to stop her and point blank insist that she answer the question on whether the router could be purchased lump sum. She then claimed that I wanted to rent it that is why she didn't offer the purchase. Clearly Verizon is pushing their sales people to lock in rental contracts at the detriment of their customers.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I recently moved to a new apartments where only Verizon and Spectrum can be used. I chose to go with Verizon Fios being that my wife is a 15 year customer of Verizon wireless services and she also convinced me to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon. I had the Fios service for 3 weeks and decided to cancel the service for the following reasons. Bad/ wrong installation, Buffering and delayed picture. After informing Verizon that I was cancelling services I was promised a full refund on a RECORDED LINE and was told I will receive the refund for services paid ($303.00). I never received the refund or a follow up call as promised. A rep and his manager promised and ensured a full refund. I never received anything.

I called back a week later and was told an investigation of the recorded call will be submitted and it only takes 24 hours. The rep said if it was mentioned that the rep promising the refund on a recorded line indeed said this that I will receive a full refund and that the rep will be retrained. 2 weeks later I called back and was given the runaround. At this point me and my fiancé is ready to cancel our wireless services. Verizon took our money and did a bad job with resolving our issues. The installation was faulty and the service was subpar. We are disconnecting our wireless service of 15 years in 5 more days if we aren’t dealt with honesty and fairness. The Verizon reps tell lies just to get you off the phone.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I spoke with a representative as soon as one of the promo contract was over and was told the bill went down for being a customer. However, when the following month bill came, it's more than what the first representative had told me! I was billed $10 more than what was told! Then, immediately, I called Verizon Fios for the bill issue. I got to speak with the supervisor, Jim **, and he helped me out with the cost down and advised what the cost will be for April and May bill will be the price for the rest of months until Feb 2020.

However, the April bill came out $10 more than what I was told again. I didnt bother to go back as I had other errands to run. However, for May bill, I got another $10 increase! So total came out as $20 extra more than what I was told!!! This is outrageous and unbelievable. Then, what's gonna happen for June if I don't call out for May bill?? This is Verizon Fios! They are ripping off loyal customers and want us to go away! If you are thinking of getting a bundle play, make sure you are always "NEW"! So that you can get a good deal than us loyal customers!

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs