Verizon Fios

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First came home and services were discontinued. Called in and they told me to pay $135 to put the services back on. Which was done on 3/2. 3 Days later my services was cut off again and told me some bs and I had to pay 75 but had to do payment arrangement and pay another 75 by 4/2. So today 3/22 we come home and our services is shut off. The first guy we talked to Ishmeal was so rude all he would say is "ok but that's not on your account". He finally told us we could pay 71$ and it would turn on. No we weren't paying after 30 mins begging him to transfer us he did not. A even more rude women. Maria. She said she would pull calls this and that but who cares if we were mislead 2x we still had to pay 100 today. Not one time did she say sorry or offer ANY type of credit! They're horrible and just don't care how they speak to their customers. People that are paying them! Never again.

A technician came to my home to install cable and internet. While running the needed wires, the technician proceeded to drill 4 holes in the middle of my walls without informing me. The holes were in the center of my walls in my living rooms. The technician did not discuss how he will run the wires nor if it was ok to start drilling. The holes were very large and directly visible to anyone in the room. Considering I already had cable wires installed along my floorboard, I had no idea he was going to alter my home at all. He also drilled holes within my closet which dirtied all my coats and shoes - full of drywall. He did not ask to do this. I could have easily removed my clothing and shoes.

I asked him why is he doing this, he said, he had no response. I feel that he was just being lazy and the most inconsiderate person. He had no respect for my brand new home nor my items that were damaged. I called Verizon Fios and complained 5 times. Each time the representative informed he that his manager will call me and have some money compensation in order to repair the damaged walls. No one has ever called me - the wait time on the phone is over an hour each time. There is no way to file a formal complaint with the company. I had to call my painter to dry wall all the holes and repaint over them - $300.

I signed up for Verizon Fios in September of 2016, and it has been a disaster since after the installation. What was promised to me over the phone was not delivered in my package. After reaching out, I was told by customer service that the best they could do was offer me a trial to Epix, even though the package I paid for should have included Epix and Stars. With so many other TV options, I decided to disconnect Fios TV and just keep the internet.

Most recently, the company took a scheduled payment for April 1st out of my account early, and would not refund the money because they claimed I still had a balance. I was told 3 different things by 3 different people in customer service. Verizon is a scam and not worth the money or the headache. I will purchase internet through a smaller more affordable service, and use streaming TV as I have been to offset the ridiculous charges and fees.

One year into a two year contract we woke to find our phone line dead. This was happening when all the strikes were taking place within Verizon. We gave it a few days and things got worse when our TV and internet were shut off without any notification or reason. This happened even though our account was paid in full. Wanting service again as well as answers, my wife called 3 different times before someone was willing or able to help. The rep managed to get the TV and internet active again but were not able to get the phone number back. They reduced our triple play to a double play but still cost us the same monthly price for the remainder of the 12 months! After another 5 calls to 5 different reps taking 11 hours of total time (no BS!), we were still unable to get our home phone back and gave up as frustrated as anyone could imagine.

No one we spoke to could offer a reasonable answer as to why all this happened and no one was willing to make things right. Can you imagine how frustrating this was? Fast forward to the last few weeks of our contract and I gave Verizon a phone call again. Kenneth ** was at first very helpful and understanding. Unfortunately things went downhill from there AGAIN from lack of communication and in the end, unwillingness to help a frustrated customer. He said that if we pay another $40 we would get our phone line back.

In the end we never used the phone line (which had a different phone number associated to it from our existing one) yet our account was charged. So not only did we have no triple play for twelve months while still paying for a triple play, we were also charged an additional $40 in the last month of the contract. Unfair to the consumer which is why I'm writing my first ever complaint on the Consumer Affairs Website. Rest assured I will be going with Comcast. They can't be any worse than this??!... One would hope!

Verizon sent FIOS equipment to my address via UPS with a fraudulent “To” name. It was incumbent on us to inform UPS to come and pick up the equipment. The packages Sat on our front porch almost a week before they were picked up. Subsequently, our Verizon phone line was accidentally cut during one of the numerous FIOS digging sessions in my front yard over the past two years. The Verizon solution was to install a line around my house across my lawn. We complained about the incomplete work.

Two weeks later we cancelled our Verizon phone line after over 20 years. We were told we were due a refund, but in fact received an additional bill. One week later, a Verizon representative approached inquiring if we wanted FIOS installation. We declined, and the best part was he removed the cable from my yard. Final note over a year ago we had everything removed from our phone except basic service which reduced our bill to $48. Our Verizon bills slowly increased and our last regular bill was $69. Good riddance Verizon!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Verizon FIOS has the WORST customer service dept and billing dept I have ever dealt with in my life! I had my cable cut off because of personal reasons (in hospital for 6 weeks) and had my sister even call to let them know what was going on. Anyways, I called to see exactly what I owed so I could get TV and Internet back on. Then went to FIOS store and paid in cash to get the acct current. Then service was restored. I went on demand to get a movie and it wouldn't let me. I called FIOS and they told me I did not pay the outstanding balance (which was on the acct clearly).

To make a really long story short, I spoke with 5 different FIOS reps in various departments and I was told that each one of them did not know what they were telling me and didn't give me the correct information! Seriously, all 5 couldn't tell me that my account balance wasn't correct?! The last 2 agents I spoke with had the worst attitudes I have ever had to deal with! I was told that my services were going to be shut off again if I didn't pay another $116.00. I just don't get it. They want your money but they think awful customer service is going to keep customers. I really don't think so! FIOS apparently doesn't need customers and I will definitely find another company and will leave FIOS and never give them my business again! The most rude customer service and billing department (including the supervisor (ERICA) that I have ever had to deal with!

Verizon FIOS illegally trespassed on my property and installed two boxes, wiring, ugly black duct tape, and associated equipment on my end unit, privately owned townhouse wall. They damaged my siding by screwing into my wall. They must remove their equipment immediately and cure the damage to home wall and landscaping. I have no contract or service with FIOS. Perhaps they installed illegally for neighbors. This is an irresponsible action for a large corporation. I have not been able to get through to anyone at Verizon FIOS online or by telephone to resolve their inappropriate activities.

I have been over charged time and again. They are always tacking on fees. My bill is never what it should be each month. The last 2 months, first bill was over $300, next month almost $200. I have the cheapest I can get. They are always charging for overages and I hardly use it. There is unfortunately no way to monitor this service. This company is a rip off.

It is impossible to watch any t.v. show ON DEMAND or even to rent and PAY for a movie on demand without it constantly skipping and causing a giant headache. We've called customer service and are left with troubleshooting that does not work and a full Verizon bill. When told that we wanted reimbursed for money spent for on demand services the associate told us there was nothing he could do. This is absolutely unacceptable for a $120 bill per month.

Verizon is the worst service I ever had. If you going to get Verizon just send me $500 instead. I don't wish no one I mean no one to get Verizon. They over charge and Customer service is the worst. They undertrain and they will lie to get you in the door. The $70 DOLLARS THEY PROMOTE IS SO A LIE. They will tell you what you want to hear and when they find out you went back to Comcast they really start putting more charges on you.

Customer service reps are very unhelpful. I was told I would get a callback last week and I never did. I was forced to speak with 3 different supervisors tonight, after the first rep repeatedly refused to get a supervisor on the line for me. The first two supervisors said they were transferring me to engineering. The first transfer sent me to a message that said my call couldn't be completed. The second transfer sent to me an automated system for cell service (I was calling about internet). And the third supervisor told me that engineering was closed. What a disaster.

Don't sign a contract with this company. I thought TWC was bad but I least I can cancel whenever I want. Locked into a contract for 2 years with this kind of customer service? I'm good. Plus their advertising is extremely misleading. They're "79.99" a month. Internet really costs $120 a month when they add all the fees that are in the fine print. That's a third of the price in fees. I don't know how they're getting away with this. They shouldn't be allowed to advertise a price that is only two-thirds of the real price. It's crazy.

Verizon FiOS has very fast Internet speed. I have compared this with other Internet providers and it seems like Verizon is the fastest. In fact, when I go to somebody's house and I don't have Verizon, it can be frustrating because my Internet doesn't load as quickly. Verizon is pretty reliable. We hardly ever have any problems with it. And if we do have problems they are easily fixed. I would recommend Verizon over any other Internet provider in this area.

Installation took all day but we have a brand-new house so that was expected. If I need to equipment it is very easy to get and hook up myself. Getting an appointment with Verizon is pretty easy, although sometimes there are problems with that but not big ones. Customer service is usually very good but I just wish that there was an easier way to get an actual human being on the phone. It seems like they want to solve a problem with the computer and that's not always good enough. I'd like to be able to talk to a human a little sooner into the phone call.

Internet speed is not constant with just its basic connection. We were fine the first few months of installation then experienced glitchy internet connections thereafter. Right now, we have good and bad internet connection days. We are not heavy users but if we are streaming movies, we cannot have other devices hooked up at the same time during certain days. They had friendly installation experts. Installers will say it's easier to put connections in certain places of the house. Unless you want them to take longer putting in devices in selected areas, you'll need to go along with their recommendations. They rely too much on auto responses for their customer service and takes too long to get a person. The customer rep will charge to set up a technician appointment and it took a week to receive service. It made us feel like they assumed most people will be able to take robo instructions and fix technical things themselves.

Verizon Fios is okish. At times it'll crash, and worse its range is horrible. It doesn't reach my room. But the wifi itself rarely lags. It is fast enough to get the job done but otherwise it's just subpar. The shipment of the wifi router took ages like 16 days even though I paid for overnight shipping. I had to unpack and set up myself but the instructions were very complex and confusing. But the customer service was not horrible. Though there was too much of waiting on the phone the people listened. Overall it was again subpar, nothing stupendous.

Installation of my Verizon Fios service was seamless, professional and well executed. The provider was concise and very respectful of my time. Verizon Fios service providers are known to be irrational and dismissive among my peers but my experience with their customer service was great. They were respectful and professional. Verizon Fios service is reliable irrespective of weather conditions being inclement, day of the week, public holidays or busy times during their regular hours of operation. I would recommend Verizon Fios service to my peers just based on their speed and consistency even during inclement weather. The storms we experience are known to affect other neighbors services but we are thrilled with the speed of our fios.

The installation process was great! It was quick and easy! The installer was very friendly and knowledgeable. They worked around my schedule and were very pleasant to work with. I was also never dissatisfied with my Verizon Fios service. There were virtually no interruptions, ever! It was cost efficient and made for an affordable experience for my family to enjoy internet service in a rural community! The internet service speed was fantastic! In a rural community I was used to a very slow internet connection. This was fast! Streaming, games, social media, you name it... Very quick! The customer service was phenomenal too! I called one time on a minor issue I was having and the staff was very nice and helpful. They treated me like family which meant a lot to me!

At most, Verizon Fios is reliable. At times it goes slowly but most of the time it is fast. Most time the wifi works really well with Verizon but at times it does not work and need to reroute the router. Verizon does do one day installation. We are very happy with our installation. It's very effective. The person who comes to install knows what they are doing and does not take a long time to install. The customer service people are nice and polite, and at most times can help. There's not really a long wait to get customer service and they can answer most of your questions and problems.

The installation was quick and easy. Also, the installers were very polite and did not make a mess in my home. I also liked that there were no hidden fees. The internet service is quick, reliable and does not slow down even if we have many things running at once, especially when I am doing my homework, unlike a lot of the other internet providers. We also hardly ever lose the internet service. In addition, I have always had great experiences with the customer service department of Verizon. They are always willing to help and offer easy solutions.

I was very happy with the availability of this service. I always had a good connection even in areas I wouldn't expect to. The service was exceptional especially for the business that I'm in. The installation of the service was excellent. It was quick and easy. I was given the instructions and able to install myself, and get Customer Service to assist if I had any questions. The Customer Service Department was very helpful and answering the questions that I had regarding the installation. I've even called regarding my bill and they were very helpful in their response and take action to correct my account. The speed on this internet is the fastest that I've ever used. I am very happy I am able to watch movies, download programs, and work on my computer as needed.

The quality of Verizon Fios was excellent. Central Florida summers can be very temperamental - one minute the sun is shining, the next torrential downpours. No matter the weather conditions, I could always rely on my internet service. I can't recall the slightest interruption or delay in service and there was never an issue with the reliability of service. During the call for the initial setup, the representative was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. In addition, the technician was friendly, knowledgeable about the product and expedient. He ensured everything was working properly before departing. I was very happy with the service Verizon provided.

We never wait long for a connection. Compared to other internet services we have used in the past, this one is by far the fastest and most sufficient yet. We use internet on multiple devices in our home and all have been more than satisfactory. Also, our bills are consistent and satisfactory and I have not come across any hidden fees. It covers everything we need and they have many packages to choose from. Their installers arrived in a very timely manner and we were extremely happy with how fast and sufficiently they were able to hook it up. They were very helpful and informative and I really appreciated how they took the time to show us how everything works and answered our questions. We did not have to wait to get a representative. They have always been polite and extremely helpful answering any questions and fixing any issues we may have had. The communication was very clear.

The guy took forever to get out here for the installation. But I found Verizon Fios moderately pleasurable at times. I guess that's just my experience though can't say the same for everyone. Overall the customer service was great. I'd recommend anyone to use it.

Never had an outage. During peak times, upload and download speeds are fast. I am on the Internet all day and extremely satisfied with the performance. Installation was quick and done in a timely manner and scheduled when it was convenient for me. Only problem I have is with the battery in the unit in my basement. They want me to pay for a new battery when I don't believe I should have to. But other than that, I have been very satisfied with their service.

I moved to a building where Verizon FIOS was not available so had to end my contract. They were nice and did not make me pay a fee. However, due to timing, I had to pay for a full month when I only had service for a few days. Was told I would be reimbursed shortly (30-60 days). They didn't reimburse me for 6 months and kept sending me bills that indicated I had a credit. I called at least 3 times and they couldn't or wouldn't and didn't do anything. Finally at the end of the year, I got my reimbursement check. Thought my interactions with them were done. Not the case.

Got a letter from a collection agency saying had an outstanding balance with Verizon. Was SO angry about this. Called. Spent 1 hour, mostly on hold or explaining the situation to multiple people. I stayed on hold while they tried to reach the correct department. I knew if I hung up, it would not be resolved. Supposedly, it is resolved now but I'm not confident. Regardless, this left me despising Verizon as a company. I don't care if FIOS is a good service, the company is AWFUL. Customer service has been absolutely terrible and they are a rip-off. You will be sorry if you go with them because they don't care about their customers at all.

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios for internet service. They are very reliable. I have never had any problems with their internet service. I am happy with the speed of my internet that I get from Verizon Fios. I am able to download things that I want quickly. No major issues here. I was generally satisfied with the installation process. The only complaint that I do have is the guy who they sent out to do the install seemed a little shady. But for the most part I am pretty happy with their customer service. I really have not had to use it but I would expect it to be good.

Installation was very fast and the serviceman was very knowledgeable. I was very happy I did use them for service. I love their speed and I could always depend on my service. Every time I went on to search something - very convenient and always there if I need to comply with them. Downloads are very fast and they are always downloaded correctly and never a delay. Additionally, customer service is always dependable and there when I need them and I always get answers fast.

Verizon Fios can be very, very slow and tends to shut down but most of the time the speed is acceptable. Sometimes it lags and doesn't load a page. However, that is rare. Otherwise it performs well and usually boots up quickly and loads a page in a reasonable time frame. The service agent was friendly and knowledgeable. He completed the installation quickly and showed us how the cable box worked. He arrived on time and was ready to work right away. Plus customer service was friendly and explained the package deals thoroughly. She asked if we needed help with anything else and made sure to tell thank you for choosing them and the wait time was acceptable. Overall I am satisfied with the service.

This is the best internet service I've have, ever. Superb, consistent speed. Very fast and reliable. The internet speed is a gigabyte per second, all day, everyday. Extremely consistent internet. Consistent upload and download. I love how all the devices in my home never have to buffer or pause for the internet to catch up. Not much more expensive either than the highest internet package on other, slower providers. I opted to do the self-install, which ended up saving me around $160. Didn't take long, about the same time it would of taken a tech to do it. 24 hour customer service representatives available for tech support. All US-based call centers with knowledgeable people. Very happy, and I really couldn't be any happier.

I have the slowest speed in general. Uploads can be a real pain but overall it does pretty well speed wise for almost everything else. And then there is some good days and some bad days when streaming. There are outages but they are normally fixed pretty quickly and short outages are a rare occurrence and the speed stays pretty consistent.

The customer service is easy enough to get a hold of but some days seem to be better than others in terms of service. I have had the nicest person one day and the very next I have been yelled at by customer service. Also, it did not take long for the installation itself. I did have to wait several hours after I was told technicians would be out before they showed up and I did not receive a call about their delay.

Had Verizon Fios ever since it became available and in those years maybe had to call for tech support 3 or 4 times. First install done by one of their servicemen. When I upgraded I did it myself with the help of the tech dept on the phone. Very easy. Their customer service is one of the best. I use several different services online and Verizon has always been in the top 1 or 2. Having little to compare it to, I have been very happy with Fios, and have never had an issue with the internet speed. Highly recommend Verizon Fios.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.
  • Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.
  • Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.
  • Best for Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Compare Internet Service Providers