1.5/5 (50 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: April 23, 2022

I quit Optimum Internet and went back to Verizon for my home wifi. The reason was very simple, they offered a much better price ($ 75 vs. $125), and the service is a workhorse, it just works. Five years ago, Verizon had the same bait and switch pricing model as Verizon. They'd offer a low price, with escalating clauses after a couple of years. Thankfully they've ditched that.

Verizon also offered an inducement (they paid for a year of Amazon Prime), which they actually paid. Optimum offered a $100 gift card, which they never sent, and when I called to ask for it, they sent me to a couple of different numbers, all for no result. More vendors should offer clear pricing and good product, not gift cards and other marketing gimmicks. Who wants to spend time dealing with home wifi? No one. Everyone wants good service with a reasonable and transparent price, and good service when there's a problem.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was upset and perturbed when I got on the call with a customer service rep called Jay bc I had gone into specifically the Fios website about 2 weeks ago and PAUSED autopay bc I only had half of the bill owed...the IT dept never received the notif and I was deducted 120 dollars today which put my account (checking) into the negative and I was already late for an appt and decided to hurry home to take care.

Mr. Sam ** was so nice and explanatory and took care of the issue and refunded the monies and set up my new notifications and eased my worry about the account going into neg. He was pleasantly helpful and I hung up with a nice feeling of how they received my concern and handled it in a few minutes with no problem. Thanks to Mr. Sam ** who was the supervisor and also in future to call and ask for him if I needed. I highly recommend fios bc the other company I had been using wasn't as efficient and also more expensive than fios so a great thanks today and I won't worry about my checking acct now and will apparently receive the refund in only 2-3 biz days as opposed to the standard 7-14 days!! Wow thanks again Mr. **!!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I want to review a Rep whose name was Mike at the Orange Plaza location in Middletown New York 10940. This man helped me tremendously with very little effort. He seemed very educated and comfortable with what he was doing and how he went about how he solved my issue. I would like to see more people like him.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Verizon Fios is very reliable, making it worth the money. I have the 3 tier service (home phone, tv & internet) at a reasonable price that is less than the other area providers by about 25%. People tell me how much they're paying and I gawk! It's like they're being ripped off to me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Good quality internet as long as installed correctly data speed and quality of latency is good. The equipment that they provide is good however you can purchase the equipment instead of renting it which would save you money on the service itself because they charge a monthly rental fee otherwise. Verizon has won JD Power for Excellence for a few year in a row and in comparison to other providers that I have experienced, the service and quality of their product internet and tv quality is superior and they also offer more channels than other carriers. A lot of people may say it's just internet or just tv but when it comes to pricing but it matters where you getting what you pay for. Pay attention to the upload and and download speed that other providers offer. People believe that streaming is download only however, it all depends where you are getting your content and streaming from that decides.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

TL;DR if you are considering using Verizon for anything, don't do it! Their customer service is easily the absolute worst I have ever encountered. You will regret it! Last month, a door-to-door salesman came by to say that Verizon had put up 5G towers in the area and that we could try their home 5G wifi free for 30 days. He said the price was $50 guaranteed for 3 years and included internet and the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle. I decided to try it out because why not!

I got the router in the mail and spent hours on the phone trying to get it set up but turns out he didn't set it up properly. I had to go into the store (with my newborn) where I spent another couple of hours and they couldn't fix the original router so they have me another one and said they couldn't take the original one, but they would send me a packing slip to send it back. They also informed me that they wouldn't be honoring what the salesman said, even though I had him on video, and that the $50 was just for the internet and it was only guaranteed for 2 years.

For some crazy reason, I still wanted to give it a shot. The internet was fine, but the packing slip never came for the original router and my customer service experience had been so bad at that point that I decided to cancel my service. I went in to the corporate store and they said I had to go to the store I got the router from. I drove across town (again with my newborn) where they told me they couldn't take it either. I called customer service and finally got someone to cancel it and was told they would send a box and label for the two routers and I wouldn't be billed. Hallelujah! I was finally going to be done with this. Wrong.

I got a bill for $50 after I was told I wouldn't be charged. When I called to ask about it I spent an hour getting transferred to (not exaggerating) 8 different people in completely different departments that had nothing to do with the question I was asking. Finally I got sent to a person who said don't worry about it and just send back the equipment.

A couple days later, a tiny box comes in that I am supposed to use to send back two big routers. Great. At this point, I'm beyond ready to be done with this company, so I pay to ship it back through UPS. Over the weekend I got another bill, so I called today and spent another hour on the phone getting transferred again to 6 people before finally getting to the person I needed who told me just to ignore the bill. From the salesman who didn't know what he was doing to them not honoring his statements to the hours and hours I spent on the phone and in-store just to return the routers, this has been literally the worst customer service experience of my life. Even if Verizon is cheaper, do not do it! It will not be worth it and the day you actually need to contact customer service you will regret your decision. Please save yourself the trouble!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I've recently signed on for the same Wifi service that we had with previous housemates. Same router came, the signal and speed VASTLY different. How is that even possible? Don't even bother calling customer service, troubleshooting doesn't work. Guess the service level is truly luck of the draw. Signed up to auto-pay for a cash discount. Thought that was a good idea they have, but when I wanted to push my auto-pay date back 3 days so that I can manage MY OWN expenses, they don't accept payment after a certain date. So, as a responsible customer who wants to ensure I pay every bill with no issues - "SORRY, we have this arbitrary policy and don't care about you". Choose any other provider, trust me they will be better.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I was given a cable box that would not allow me to record using DVR despite paying for that service. This should be relatively easy to diagnose and fix. Instead the first customer support person I talked with immediately tried to get access to my phone camera before doing literally anything else, which felt like an invasion of privacy and a likely scam given my issue is with my TV and has nothing to do with my phone. From there I was cycled to multiple other support agents, none of whom seemed to have any plan to fix the issue. Hours later it was fixed with no explanation as to what was wrong initially.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

We have been a Verizon FIOS customer for a long time; when we upgraded our service to 1 Gbps, Verizon told us their router has wireless capabilities; what they did not tell us was that the wireless capability of their router was limited to only 1/3 of the bandwidth we signed up for. We have been paying for the router a fee of $12.00 per month. When I called Verizon to rectify the matter, I was given run around; they said they would send us a new router but the service cost would go up by $10 per month. We are disconnecting our service with Verizon after 11 years. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER; maximizing the profit at any cost is their way of doing business.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I very recently purchased Verizon FIOS. To do so, I communicated with Verizon through the chat box on its website. During the chat, I noticed that the cost of installation is pretty high ($99). I asked the agent, "Can you waive this cost." The agent replied he can't totally waive it, but he can make it half. I need to wait for the first bill, then I should contact them again and ask them to reduce the installation cost. So I proceeded with the purchase. The bill came and contacted Verizon and asked to reduce the installation fee. However, surprisingly the agent replied this can't be done and, "There is no document showing that we made such a promise to you." This was really disgusting experience. I think this is like a trap. They make false promises with no record to attract customers. When they have the customer trapped, they then deny what they stated.

Verizon Fios Company Information