1.71/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2978 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

FYI VERIZON GETS ZERO STARS. I have been with Verizon for over 10 years. So Dec 13th, I go in a local Verizon store which is an authorized store. Ok so I explain to the sales rep why I'm here and that I'm looking for a new phone. So the guy pull up my account and tells me I'm not eligible for a upgrade the time, which I already knew that. So he looks my account over then say "I have come up with something." So he proceed to show me a phone that was on promotion. He said, "I can't get you in this phone with 65 dollars done and I'll wave the other 30 to 40 dollars. Plus this phone comes with a tab but, it's not in stock." So I was informed to come back on Saturday to pick it. He also stated that just adding this phone my bill will only go 20 dollars. Again, I was never informed that receiving these device another phone line would be added.

Now here is the catch. The sales rep never said he was setting up a whole other line on my account. So after the transaction the very next day. My bill cycles and I get a bill for over 600 dollars. So I go back to the store to question them on my bill and to find out why my old now has a new number and my new phone and the old phone was still on. So I called 611 from my device. So they tell me, "Ok. We will take care of all the charges if you return the device." I go to return the device only to get, "Oh you have to pay 75 dollars for each device." Mind you I don't have the tablet. Ok so Dec 18th I return to the store the second time. Now they won't take the devices back due to this Verizon not being affiliate with the main branches. I was told I must pay the 75 dollars per device along with 110 dollar because they saved the activation fee.

Now, a hour later on the phone again with a sales rep, she stated, "Return the items and we will cover the restocking fees @ 50 dollars a device." But I still have to pay 25 dollars per device. I really use to love Verizon service but, after this I'm done. I'm looking for a provider right now. One that I can carry all my lines over to and possible pay less. Oh yeah so after I had one phone and my bill will 150+ per month with unlimited everything. So I added a iPhone and bill increased to 300+. Again I add one more device which was a Apple watch. Now my bill 400+.

So just from me going in the store to see if I can get a phone, the sales rep adds another line. Now my bill is 600+. Lol, so while speaking to the sales rep she stated, "Your bill should only be 337 for 6 devices." How so? When I had only two lines which was two phones and my bill was 300 150 each. Verizon is hell and they will not get any more of my hard earned money. This whole fight trying to fix a mistake that I did not make is so overwhelming. Not mention they were no help. I don't get the whole thing about authorized retailers. They all say that so where do I have to go to be heard because Verizon staff sure don't listen or try to truly help you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Every time I sign up or renew a Fios contract, the first bill shows up jacked by 10-20%. Customer support is non-existent and the CSRs are trained to take customers on a ride until the caller gives up. Last time I called, I was transferred three times and I had to provide the same information over and over again until I snapped and hung up. There is a lot of room in the market for a competitor to come in and disrupt the ISP dinosaurs in the USA.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The company makes an offer to consumers if they sign up with them. I signed up and followed all protocols. Verizon find all ways and means to make it impossible for me to redeem offer. Despite over twenty calls to them they have no means for me to redeem the offer they promised. I think they are very dishonest. Fraudulent maybe a preferred word.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Since I upgraded from 75/75 speed to gigabit speed, the internet has been slower. I called Verizon 5 times… 2 techs came. No one know what they are doing. The 1st Tech came and disappeared for 2 hours, then spent 1 hour in his truck and never set up my extender then left... The 2nd tech had an attitude problem and refuse to test the speed and left. Didn't fully set up the extender... No signal on the 3rd floor... These are typical union workers. About to switch to Cable.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I got Fios internet installed on December 9, 2018. Canceled on the very next day as it did not work. Called 4 times to customer service to have resolution but no success. Now I’m being charged full monthly bill for service I did not have and never used. Spoke with supervisor and he was saying this is part of the agreement. This is a rip off and stealing from people. Verizon Fios is a thief and unethical business. You cannot charge for something that was never there!!! I will never ever again even consider using this service again as they are penalizing you for their errors that equivalent was not properly connected. Wasted my time, my money and my nerves on ridiculous crook company!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I changed providers and closed out my account with Verizon in July of 2018. I received a bill every month since stating that I have a $94.06 credit. Each time I asked when I would receive my refund, and each time I was told that the account was still open. Each time they confirmed that all equipment had been received, and the account will be closed... No-one could ever explain why it hadn't been. Well it is now December 2018. I have just contacted them again, and again was informed that the account has not been closed, and I should call again at another time. I feel that I have spent more than enough time trying to get this account closed, and my money refunded. So I filed a complaint with the FCC. I will never do business with Verizon again. They certainly jumped through hoops to get my business... but treated me very poorly when I choose to make a move to another provider.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Do not use Verizon self-installation. If your equipment doesn't work they will send a tech to your place and then charge you $100 without your consent. Keep an eye on the invoice the tech will have you sign. Even if it is not a problem with any of your non Verizon connection (wiring, coax cable etc.) they might put that on your order so that you are charged. After hours of trying to connect to their customer service, you might get your money back, but be ready to waste hours of your day.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I signed up in August and was told I would receive a 150 dollar prepaid Visa gift card. When went to register for the card the link Verizon provided did not work. So I contacted Verizon in October and spending a very long time on hold and getting disconnected. I got ahold of someone and they told me I didn't have to do anything just wait for it to come in the mail. Well November come around and I still didn't get it. And once again spending hours on the phone a customer rep told me I wasn't eligible for the card because I downgraded my service. I DID NOT downgrade my service and have in hand a email receipt of what I would be paying a month and what I would get in return. She was firm and I told her I would be calling back to cancel.

When I called back hours later the rep looked further into it and seen it in black and white that I was suppose to get it and put me on the phone with department in Philadelphia that handles them. That woman said she was going to register me Manually and said I didn't have to do anything else. It was taken care of. Well I noticed in my junk mail another email from Verizon with another link to register the card just as I was on the phone with them. I called back and spoke to the same woman asking why they sent me this when you told me I didn't have to do anything and that the LINK didn't work anyway. She said it was a coincidence and that it was a mass email sent to everyone.

Well now it's December and I still have not received it. So called back again and the rep gave me the number to the Visa card people. They said I was NEVER registered. I then called back to cancel and the rep said I wouldn't be eligible for at this point but let him try. Maybe I would get it maybe I won't. He then said I would be hit with a 320 dollar cancellation fee. Even though they won't honor the agreement about the gift card. After spending hours on the phone I have had enough and now in the process of canceling. DO NOT BE SWINDLED BY THESE PROMOTION SCAMS. After doing a little research this is widespread and has been going on for a long time. They know exactly what they are doing and it is fraud.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Sales lies. Verizon employee promised 2 year guarantee if we kept service but it was only for one year. Customer service doesn't care. VERIZON RESPONSE: "I absolutely apologize that you have received incorrect information. Unfortunately at this time we are not able to honor what you were promised."

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I signed a 2 years contract for Verizon triple play. I was told my price was set for the 2 years promotion. 5 months later my monthly fee increases and increases the longer I stay. They say their costs of buying routers increased, or taxes increased, or administration fees went up so they are sharing the extra costs with everyone and there is nothing they can do to bring the cost down back to what the contract I signed says. Heck, I was supposed to receive a $100 gift card with the promotion; at the beginning I was told that it would arrive after 3 months. Now they don't have any information about. Kind of like bait and switch. To Verizon, a contract means nothing. They will increase the prices on you at random months and give you excuses why they can't bring it back down to your signed contract cost. I feel taken advantage of. Will look into other providers and switch since a price increase also allows me to break out of the contract.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Signed a contract for 110 a month. Next thing there was a 100 more a month. Cant get the channels you want unless you pay 70 dollars more. For just basic cable. Very rude on the phone. Once you sign the contract they play games.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Concerning Verizon's Jetpack pay-as-you-go hotspot, this product is a complete waste of money. It either won't connect to your computer, or if it does you'll waste untold time trying to use Wi-Fi to get to the sites you want to visit. After wasting all this time, and more likely than not never having reached those sites, you'll note that you have hardly any data left, so you've wasted your money as well as your time. The customer service tech department was unwilling to assist me in a proper manner, leaving me with no data to try to resolve the problem. I would never recommend this product and I will discontinue using it myself.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We have Verizon Triple Play... Woke up today to find the one channels we view the most every day was blank. Error on screen says "they will be reviewing my package and after review the channel will be restored?" Contacted customer service via CHAT, they rebooted the box remotely (duh, I already did that three times). Not to my surprise it still would not come up.

Then was told a tech could come out, and if they don't find anything wrong with my equipment I WOULD be charged... I already know there is nothing wrong with my equipment!!! It's an issue on their end/their server! Why should I pay for a tech to come here and already tell me what I already know... Comcast is around the corner - Verizon is the worst...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

After switching from Comcast Xfinity with a promise of saving money I'm very regretful. Fios has the worst cable (no voice remote), crappy on demand movies, and lacking any good channels to watch!! They have a nerve to want you to spend more money to buy wifi booster which they should provide. I also purchase home phone service with a unlisted and unpublished number and receive a million telemarketers calling. I think I have finally reached my breaking point and will be switching back to Comcast and will be glad to pay the extra cost for better service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Deceptive billing practices, ZERO customer service. Spend over 40 min on hold. Nothing resolved in the end. Submitted complain to BBB with last hopes to receive my money... the end of service credit that they owe me. WORST EVER!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Decided to make a switch from Xfinity to Fios because Verizon touted their customer service and two-year agreement low prices. Salesperson said she looked up my address and told me I could self-install. When the package arrived I could not self-install. Had to wait four days for a technician to come install. Verizon charged me 100 dollars for installation even though they lied and told me I could self-install.

The technician who came to my home said they tell customers that "all the time." Called Verizon customer service that, according to them, is supposed to be great. Took six minutes to reach a human. The representative questioned me instead of answering my questions. Asked for a supervisor who was unavailable and is supposed to call back (45 minutes later and that has yet to happen). Conveniently they cannot find the conversation the sales rep had with me concerning self-install. My 89 Xfinity bill was supposed to go to 94 with Fios. After a monthly 27 dollar equipment fee, 22.76 "other fees" monthly charge and the divided 100 install fee on top of the 94.99 bundle price, my bill is 200 dollars. Stay away from this company and their lies.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My condo building recently switched from Comcast to Fios and my internet service periodically refuses to connect. Tech support consists of a phone tree with no way to get a human. At night it just disconnects. I am seriously thinking of switching back to Comcast. I did not have these problems with Xfinity.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I signed up for Fios to take advantage of the $200 Google credit offer. I went to redeem the offer but I wanted to see the items I was buying so I called to confirm the date of expiration because the email I received was too confusing. A Verizon rep told me I had until Saturday to use the offer and I can go to a store to view the items that's under the offer then I can buy them before the end of the day because the offer ended that day which was Saturday. When I got to the Verizon Store on that Saturday I found the items I wanted and explained I had the $200 Google credit. The associate and I tried looking for the credit on my account and we couldn't find it. The store manager got involved and we still couldn't find it so we called Verizon directly.

When we called Verizon the rep over the phone told me the offer expired today Saturday but I had until yesterday which was Friday to use it. That made no sense to me or the store manager. If that's the case tell me I had until Friday not Saturday!!! Why would something cancel the day before of the day of expiration? Very confusing!!! What made it worse the rep over the phone had no care whatsoever for the problem I had. Also while I was at the store another customer heard me and said she had the same problem without resolution. So I left the store and called back and I was offered only $120 compensation. I still feel I deserve the remanding $80. So I called again and was transferred numerous times that day. Half the people that I spoke to and was transferred by was rude without a care in the world for me the customer.

I finally went onto Verizon Online chat and they told me another story. He said not only did I still have the offer but I have it until February 2019 to use it. He also said since it wasn't on my account I have to call on the Monday being that it's Saturday night and the offices for that matter is closed. So I called Monday and explained everything again and the rep didn't care at all. She said the offer ended Friday but I had until Saturday to use it and that again made no sense at all. the rep also said I can't get the remaining $80! During the transfers one rep told me I had to redeem it Friday but I had until Saturday to use it. Still no sense it made. I said during the week I did go online to redeem it and it goes to checkout to buy which I did not want to do! I wanted to see what I was buying first so that's why I called up and they told me I had until Saturday and I could go to the store. Even the online chat guy said I had until Feb 2019.

Verizon needs to retrain their agents in customer service and their policies need to be worded and explained 100 times better then what they are doing now. Everyone there gave me an different story which falls in the category of poor service rendered. Even some reps I spoke to cared more about selling me more add features then my problem. They have a script they follow and they showed they cared more about their pockets then their customers. I was giving so many stories I didn't know what to believe. In conclusion with all the runaround and misinformation and hassles giving to me alone I should had been giving the full Credit and more!!! I see how much Verizon cares for their customers and I will definitely cancel my account the moment the contract expires and I would not forget how poorly Verizon treated me! I lost faith in Verizon and it will take a lot and a long time to restore that faith.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I went online to pay Verizon bill for this month. I wanted to use a different payment method. I clicked "make payment" so I could change the payment method. I was not given that option. Verizon used my previous method and took the money for this month and next month. On the same page was written: Made a mistake? click "cancel." So I clicked cancel but nothing happened. I went on the chat line so I could cancel the payment immediately. Of course I first had to wait 20 minutes. The agent assured me that she could help me but she didn't. She finally provided a number I could call, but after being put on hold for 20 more minutes, I was told the offices would not be open until Monday. Why didn't the agent know that?

Now I've already wasted 45 minutes. I asked to speak with a supervisor. After waiting another 20 minutes, a supervisor came on. I explained that I had already wasted over an hour and all I wanted to do was cancel a payment. The supervisor informed me that in order for him to help me, I would have to cooperate. If this comment wasn't in writing, I wouldn't have believed he said it. After wasting another 20 minutes with the cocky supervisor, who assured me he could help me, he finally said the payment was already processed and couldn't be canceled. Are you kidding me??? You just can't make this stuff up! Then I called the bank and they said the payment was not processed as it hadn't even showed up yet.

I did everything possible to try and cancel the payment. I tried canceling the payment online, which was impossible, chatting with an agent and supervisor, which were very aggravating experiences and definitely not helpful, using the apps on my phone, which provided no options to cancel a payment, and calling, but no one was available. Way too much wasted time just to cancel a payment! And it didn't even work. Why does Verizon have a "cancel" button on the payment page when it doesn't even work??? Think twice before doing business with this company. I wish I had known, and I will be going elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I have been absolutely outraged by everything Verizon FiOS has been for me, save perhaps for the speed of the internet. This company has awful and incompetent service reps on the phone unable to do anything or show any courtesy to customers. I have been with Verizon FiOS only several months. My contract stipulated that my fee will be $53.37 for a full year without an increase. The very reason people go into a contract is because the price will not be increased. Today, I went on my app and see that my bill has increased by $2.18. It is not the small amount that made me mad, it is the fact that this company has no regard for the meaning of the ‘contract’. This is very bad business, poor marketing and complete fraudulent activity on their behalf. I am seriously tempted to start legal campaign against this company and others alike.

Also, I have not been notified by email or otherwise about this increase. I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t go to the app to change my parenting controls. How is this even allowed? Furthermore, the price increase, I’m told, is due to the rise of the equipment cost in order to continue to provide high quality service. I understand the ways of inflation and I understand when prices just have to be raised, but first, it shouldn’t happen in the middle of a contract for existing customers, second, a notification should go out to customers immediately as well as some courtesy apology or something. This would maintain the trust of the customers.

I really hope that this company goes bankrupt due to their inadequate service and poor customer satisfaction or better yet, I do hope that they finally change their ways and treat customers with courtesy and respect and provide not only fast reliable internet, but also reliable communications and prices. Meantime, I’d recommend to check all legalities and make sure that you aren’t being defrauded on your services/prices. If you have any recommendation as to how we can organize a legal action against this company or at least a social campaign, please do let me know.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

So, a few years ago I finally got out from under Comcast, and got Verizon Fios when I moved into a 3-story, 1800-square-foot townhouse. It was great! We had quantum service; a router in a corner of the basement fed fast wifi throughout the building, great TV service on all three floors. I moved from that into a 1200-sq ft condo that apparently wasn't wired for Quantum or gigabit service, so I had slightly slower internet. I now had to regress to multi-room DVRs. It wasn't the greatest, but it was workable. Then they ran new cable into our hallways, and offered us upgraded service again. I was thrilled, and was the first to sign up in my condo complex. The deal wasn't bad... I had to pay a couple bucks more per month, and somehow Cinemax wasn't included anymore, but I sucked that up for the better speed and the much more capable DVRs.

Since that day, though, Verizon service has proven to be somewhere on a scale between "They just don't care" and "completely incompetent and unable to provide good customer service." Start with the "tech support" number. On the websites, in the IVRs, and anywhere it's recorded, the phone number you should call for help with FIOS is 800-VERIZON. You actually used to be able to get to FIOS tech support from that number, but it took a little work. Now you can't get there at all, it only goes to Verizon wireless... Once you get connected to a wireless rep, they give you another number, 866-865-4267, that they claim is Fios tech support. They are lying... You CAN get to FIOS tech support from that number, but it takes many tries.

The quickest way to get to someone is this: Press 1 if you already have service. The IVR will ask you for your zip. Once you enter that, it will give you 6 options. Ignore them all... They all just take you into dead-end IVR loops that give you cursory instructions on rebooting components. After you enter your zip code, enter 6. This will actually put you into a system that will eventually connect you with a human (after some more IVR stuff, including asking you for your PIN, maybe your phone or account number, and then (inexplicably) asking if you want to talk about your wireless account). You don't get an actual tech, though, once you get someone. It is apparently someone in billing who can tell you to reboot, and has some limited ability to see into your gear from the system. If you need anything beyond that, though, they have to escalate.

Let's talk about "Gigabit" service. I have been getting wifi installed in businesses and homes for many years now. For some reason, I guess I thought that in 2018, I would be able to get a BETTER router than some of the others I've had. Like the tech support number, though, that was a bitter disappointment. My gear is in a utility room at one end of my condo. My condo is 40 feet long. The signal starts to weaken when you move out of the utility room, and by the time you get to the living area (about 25-30 feet away), you don't have a usable signal. I've installed some Netgear extenders, but they don't always work real well... Of course, Verizon won't work with you to get their gear to work with the Netgear extenders. But for the money we pay, you'd think Verizon could give us a signal that we could use throughout our homes (and provide free extenders if needed).

So, to the real trigger that has me writing this review. Sunday there was apparently some sort of outage in our area. Never mind that they didn't put out any info on it, I spent much time on Sunday on hold trying to find out what was going on. I had Internet access that was dropping intermittently all day and was running at 1-2 Mbps when it WAS connected.

Connectivity got better on Monday, but the speeds were still less than 3 Mbps, so I finally got hold of someone to send a tech out. The tech showed up on time, and replaced every component in my utility room. Then there were problems at the Verizon site, and problems in the outside hut. Finally, the tech called me at 1:30 to tell me my internet should be back up. It was. The tech did not check anything else, though, just left.

An hour later, I turned a TV on, and found that the TV service was out of order! I called the tech, no answer... Called the tech's sup... Sup told me "it just needs to be refreshed... I'll call your tech and he'll take care of that right away." 15 minutes went by, a half-hour, an hour, an hour and a half... I called "tech support" again, and they told me they would get hold of the tech; I should hear back soon. I didn't hear back, my TV service remained down. Finally, I called the tech again. He was driving, on his way home. He tried to walk me through some troubleshooting steps to no avail, then promised he would leave at 7:30 the next morning and would be at my house no later than 8 - I would be his first appointment. So I got up and moved my schedule around to be ready at 8. At 8:30 I called and he once again tried to work with it over the phone.

When it still wouldn't work, he said he'd get back to me in half an hour. An hour later, I tried calling him-- no luck. Tried his supervisor - got a full voice mailbox. Called "tech support" again... While on the line with them the tech finally called to say he'd be here in an hour. An hour and 45 minutes later he came in, messed around with some things, and ended up waiting on hold for his own tech support people to help him. He walked out a while later. He called a bit ago to tell us that there was some kind of database error that would be resolved within two hours. If not (maybe even if)-- and as badly as I hated Comcast-- I will be a Comcast returning customer next month. Verizon can take me to court to try to get their money for the early drop. I don't really care - at this point it would be worth the money to get out from under these incompetent yahoos.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I switch to Verizon in August. I was told that if I pay my first two bills on time in full that I would received a gift card. Done and done. It is now November. I looked online to see where the card is and it said on hold? I called after being yelled at. I was told that I was late with a payment?? I said no. The first three payments were on time. The last was the 2nd and not the 1st. I didn't get paid until the 2nd. He said, "Well it was late" and voided the offer. I pulled out my contract which stated the first two. Not the third and fourth. The rep hung up on me after saying, "You were emailed a link. You need to click on it." The link doesn't work and not one person can help me get this fake card. Stay away. I read the forum and there are customers that have been waiting almost 90 days for the cards.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I live in Harrisburg, PA. So I do not know if my review is applicable or true to other regions. I usually only go online to leave good reviews. However, I needed some type of forum to share my experience with Verizon so hopefully, someone will see this and decide to go with a different provider. I am a student and was away for the summer. I canceled my service and then restarted it back in August. It didn't work. At all. I restarted the router (which I had purchased directly from Verizon less than a year prior) over and over. Unplugged, replugged. Eventually, I gave up and called customer service. Waited over an hour to speak to someone.

Finally, they say that they will need to send a technician. The earliest appointment was a week and a half away. I did not have service at ANY POINT. I schedule an appointment with a technician online. It says the technician will appear between 8am and 12pm. I receive multiple confirmations that the technician is arriving. No one came. No one called. At around 3, someone called and said they were the technician. I informed them I scheduled this appointment OVER A WEEK AGO and was now not available. I had scheduled for and been present for the appointment between 8am and 12pm. By 3, I was gone. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Fed up, I called and waited another hour + just to speak to another person. I canceled my service and was ASSURED that I would be charged NOTHING since I had no service at any point. I requested an email confirmation and received one assuring me I owed nothing.

Later, I received a paper bill stating I owed a balance. I went online and it said $0.00. Confused, I went into the support chat and was assured I owed nothing. The next month I receive ANOTHER paper bill. Annoyed, I went into the support chat and was assured I owed nothing. I asked over and over to make sure and took screenshots of the conversation. Was assured over and over I owed nothing. Then, I received ANOTHER paper bill. I'm a pretty patient person, but I was about fed up. I really thought about just paying it to make it go away and ensure it didn't mess up the credit score I've worked hard to build. But as a matter of principle, I stuck it out through another TWO HOUR long call (probably 95 percent waiting on hold or waiting for the representative to find an answer). Still on the phone with them as I write this review. Waiting an extra half hour trying to get a receipt.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Stay away. Deceptive practices are being used by Verizon FiOS. Initially I open the Fios services Will in NJ for my dad under his name with his account number and automated payment. Then when he moved from New Jersey to Florida a representative from Fios informed me that it couldn’t transfer Verizon Fios in Florida because they had no service is there. Fios has been transferred to my name in NJ and so that I am responsible for the early termination fee even though the services was for my dad under his name and under his account.

I asked to speak to a manager and Representatives was discouraging me to speak to a manager by repeatedly telling me that the manager couldn’t help me, that they will repeat the same information he did - after I insisted and after a long hold I spoke to manager named Cheryl. After apologizing for the Verizon Fios mistakes - she informed me that I would still be responsible for early termination fee unless I provide a proof of utility address change of address under my name. Deceptive practices in Verizon Fios service.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I signed up for Fios for 59.99 a month under a special internet offer with no contract. When I went to change service, they refused to honor the internet offer of no early termination fee; saying it never existed and accusing me of lying. That being said, the internet service worked great.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I am on a fixed income and was forced to downsize my internet, TV and phone from Comcast to Verizon Fios. Everything about this company from the salesperson who lied, the installation, which was horrible, tech support on the phone you wait hours on hold and my most upsetting experience is letting them have my banking account information to save $10.00 monthly with Auto Pay and Paperless billing.

First they told me my $99.99 one-time installation fee would be split into 2 months. It didn't happen, they emailed me my bill stating the my payment would include the full $99.99 lump on the first months bill. After multiple phone calls they were not able to correct it, so I had to resort to stopping payment with my bank which cost me $35.00. I then paid with my bank debit card at which point that de-activated my stop payment and thus they withdrew a duplicate payment that they said they couldn't reverse for 48 hours. I was forced to sell a special piece of gold from my grandmother which I had for 50 years to put the funds in my account so I wouldn't be overdrawn. They also tried to charge me a return payment fee.

At this point I spoke with someone in Customer Service who did issue me a credit on my bill in the amount of $50.00 towards the installation fee and my troubles. So for 3 months my auto pay went fine, withdrawn on the 13th of the month as I requested that date since I receive a SS on the 2nd Wed of the month. On Oct. 22nd I receive an email which states that my payment would be withdrawn from my account on Nov. 9th (not the 13th) as agreed upon. After multiple phone calls, no one was able to correct it or explain why the payment was being taken out 4 days in advance. As of Nov. 8th it was still stating withdraw on the 9th so I de-activated Auto Pay. Didn't work. They still withdrew the payment on the 9th at 7:30 a.m.

I filed complaint with BBB and FTC. I was then contacted by a Verizon Executive who did nothing to help. I requested that my original payment amount stay the same without having Auto Pay, he said they couldn't do that. So now my payment will go up roughly $12.00 because they were not able to stick to their Auto Pay Date which was agreed upon.

Today I logged onto my account and see that they have raised my Router rental by $2.00 monthly. This is a 2-year contract I signed. I struggle to put food on the table and to deal with these deceptive companies gouging seniors is an absolute disgrace. Please someone tell me what recourse do I have. I had also asked this executive to refund me per diem for the 4 days that they withdrew my funds. He said they couldn't do that either. I only see this situation escalating. As a consumer what recourse do we have against this companies?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Sign up with Verizon Fios internet service, used for less than 2 days, connection was horrible and cancel it. I was charged for the entire month even though I was not satisfied with it. Please stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have had a landline phone with Verizon since 1986 when I moved into my newly-built townhouse community. Is it my fault that Verizon changes the rules and decides to eliminate copper wiring for landline phones and then sends everyone a notice that they must upgrade to a FIOS box or the landline phone and DSL service which I had, would be disconnected? I do not want a FIOS package. I was happy paying $86.90 cents a month for my landline phone and DSL service via a set-top box that I plugged into the wall. I do not need the cable TV package.

I have an antenna TV (which I used to get 25 channels but now, in the past four months since Verizon sent the notice of the changeover, the number of channels I can pull in thru the airwaves via my antenna in the window, has mysteriously decreased by half. I lost channels 4 (ABC) which was always strong even without the antenna, 11 (NBC) and a bunch of lesser channels, leaving me with 4 channels and their substations. I wouldn't put it past them to jam the signal. But hey, nothing is going to convince me to sign up for their packages no matter how hard they push them.)

If Verizon doesn't want my money for the landline phone and DSL, then I have other options. I have a cell phone and an iPad with its own internet access. I have Amazon Fire tablets that I take to the library which has its own internet. And I can download items thru Overdrive, and I still subscribe to Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited, so I can load my tablets with ebooks, videos and audiobooks. I have my radio and the TV for the weather. There are always alternatives, and I hope that competitors come in and give us a better deal than a company that dumps you like trash after thirty years because they want to bully you into a package.

BTW, I'm a senior citizen on Medicare and I find it appalling that this company is allowed to cut off my phone. They say if you get a doctor's excuse then they will delay the cutoff by thirty days. I do not want the FIOS box in my house. I hear bad things about it. One person I know gets headaches since it was installed. Another friend says once you have the box, Verizon will not come out and take it off your wall. You are stuck with it because they think you will come back.

When the battery goes out on the thing, it beeps like a fire alarm that needs a new battery. The new battery is expensive, like $125. If you want the internet signal to an upper floor, Verizon can increase the signal but the battery wears out sooner. I don't understand why I can sit in my library parking lot and piggyback on their WiFi and the signal is strong enough. But Verizon wants to cut up through my floor to put wires on my second level and inconvenience me with all this installation stuff.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Verizon in my 35 years of dealing with them is the most horrible company on the planet and always will be. It is in their job description. This time I am ordering a $40 internet Subscription. I do not put my personal information and finances online or over the air waves. I have credit Rating of 825. For the service Verizon wants to make sure I don't rob them for $40. So they need copies of my license, a full background and credit check and a $125 deposit. They are completely incompetent so I was on the phone the entire day and I have to get a prepaid credit card and go back another day to hopefully satisfy their blood lust. Wish me luck.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

So I got my VERIZON internet bill yesterday in the mail. I ONLY have internet with them. MY bill went up 15.01 dollars! Nothing changed for me. The same internet I have been using for years!!! The only thing that did change. My husband and I are on Medicare and SS benefits... So our income has gone down a LOT, plus the fact that we lost money because they take out over 100 dollars each for Medicare! I truly believe that SENIORS should have a fixed price just for internet! I asked her to give me back my original rate of 39.99... The BEST she could do was 44.99 still NOT 39.99... We are on a budget. And it just makes me mad that these internet providers can gouge us and keep charging us more and nothing has change!

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs