Verizon Fios
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Verizon Fios

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

2692 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

If there was a lower rating I would give it. I cannot stress how awful my experience has been! In short: The internet provided was terrible and you cannot get ahold of customer service and once you finally get ahold of someone and cancel, instead of issuing you a refund that they acknowledge they owe you, they send you to collections while at the same time confirming your account has a positive balance and they owe you.

I signed up for home internet service to begin on 7/17/2017. Due to numerous delays on the part of Verizon, service didn't actually start until 7/28. During this time, I called customer service repeatedly, each time waiting on hold for around 1hour. When I would call the number provided, it didn't take me to the correct place, but instead Verizon Wireless, apparently a different subsidiary company with the same phone number. They also billed me for services starting 7/25. I didn't want to wait on hold again for that long to resolve 3 days of billing so I let it go and paid the bill.

Once my service finally started, 11 days after it was supposed to, the internet connection itself was beyond terrible. We made several calls to get technical support. We waited on hold for 40min - 1hour or more every single time. Each time, we were told it was wrong number, that we had reached Verizon Wireless, and were provided the same number (800-837-4966) that we had printed on our bill and had just called, as the correct one. The representatives always seemed shocked and confused that we had gotten the wrong place. Sometimes it took talking with 3-4 different people and waiting on hold with each before we got the "right" department. On lucky occasions we just got to speak with two. They kept giving us the same number and we kept having the same experience...

The internet connection was so terrible that we cancelled service on Aug 9th, not even two weeks after starting. I waited on hold for over an hour to cancel, went through the same "you called the wrong number, we have to transfer you" saga. I was so happy to be done. Before I cancelled, I had been billed and had paid for service from Aug 1st - Aug 31. When I cancelled, they confirmed I would be refunded for the remainder of the month. Of course, I had to return my router. It didn't come with a return label, but they said I could print one by logging into my account. Except that since my account was no longer active, I couldn't log in. So I called back, same story with the "wrong number, call this number"... "That's the number I did call". On three separate occasions, I waited on hold for a half hour and finally hung up before talking with anyone. Just to be able to return the equipment.

I finally was able to get someone from customer service on the chat service, which is only occasionally available. I waited on hold with that for almost 20 minutes, due to "higher than normal volume," but when chat is available (rare), it does beat the phone wait. I finally spoke with someone, explained I needed to return my equipment and they gave the address of a few different locations I could drop it off at. All of them were close to a two hour drive from my home, depending on traffic. I told the gentlemen this and requested he send a return label to my email, which he did. I mailed the equipment two days later. I have a tracking number and a delivery confirmation for the package.

Then in Sept, I get a bill for $36.34. The bill was $64.99 for the router, which I returned, minus the credit for the services I had paid for before canceling - they added two days onto the end and didn't cancel billing until Aug 11. Again, I'll pay for two extra days (for a total of 5 extra days of services I didn't have) to be free from this awful company and not have to spend my whole day on hold. It's frustrating, but whatever, just easier to pay. I assumed they had not had time to process the returned equipment before the bill was sent out and the charges would fall off and I would get my refund in the mail. I didn't want to go through the nightmare of "wrong departments" and long hold times I had experienced every single time in the past, so I let it be and waited for my check in the mail or for my credit card refund to post.

The refund never came. Then the following month, I got a notice that I had a past due balance for the same $36.34. Twice over the next two weeks, I called during the day and waited on hold for so long that I had to hang up and continue at work before speaking with anyone. Normal business hours for their customer service are Mon-Fri 8am-6pm EST and you WILL wait on hold for a minimum of 40 mins, often more, before speaking with someone who can help. They are always experiencing "higher than normal call volumes" and the chat line they advertise is rarely available, probably due to "higher than normal volumes" of people who can't get through on the phone. For people who work through the day, it is extremely difficult to dedicate that much time during business hours to being on the phone to resolve a problem.

Knowing I had to get the issue resolved, I called in again on Oct 25th, and decided I would wait on hold for as long as it took. Got the same wrong number story and I waited, and waited...and waited. I was on hold for 1 hour and 31 minutes. I finally spoke with someone, explained the situation, provided the tracking number and he wanted to put me back on hold while he called a mother department to verify that they had received my equipment. I refused to be put back on hold after waiting so long and he agreed to call me back once he looked into it.

He called back about 20 minutes later and said that he had confirmed the receipt of the equipment and he was issuing a credit request for $68.89. BUT...that was over the amount he was authorized to issue and it had to be approved by his supervisor, who of course, by that time, almost two hours after I originally called, had left for the day. But he assured me it was taken care of and I would receive an email the next day when it processed. I called back the next day to confirm, waited on hold for 15 minutes, got frustrated and hung up without speaking to anyone. I finally got the email on October 31, at the end of the day, that my account had been credited the $68.89. End of story? Nope...

Today, on Nov 10, I get a letter in the mail from a collection agency seeking payment for an unpaid Verizon bill of $36.38! Now, as you can probably imagine, I am unhappy about this. I always pay my bills on time and have excellent credit, with scores above 800 for all three bureaus. How is it acceptable to be SENT TO COLLECTIONS BY A COMPANY WHO ACTUALLY OWES ME MONEY?!?

I call the collection agency and explain and they say I will have to contact Verizon... So I call customer service and wait on hold... Surprise. In the meantime, I get through to someone on the chat line, which actually is (not sarcastically) surprising. I explain the situation. She looked up my account and says the $36.38 is for services I had from Aug 11-Aug 31st, which is the time I had paid for prior to canceling and was supposed to be issued a refund for. I told her that that was incorrect and that I did not have service during that time. I waited while she looked into it and she came back and said that I was right. My account, which I haven't had access to since I cancelled back in August, did actually show a credit balance of $32.55 and I should receive a refund.

Okay, where is my refund and how am I in collections? "I am sorry, you will have to contact our Customer Financial Services, they are now closed for week, but you can reach them Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm EST at..." So I share the experiences I have had calling that number and asked if she could put in a request for them to call me so I wouldn't have to wait on hold. "Sorry, I can't do that. You will have to call." So now I have to call the same number I have called 12 times, each time gotten the "wireless division" and had to be transferred, then wait on hold for an obscene amount of time. I have paid my bills, I have done everything right and my credit is being damaged by this mess. It is totally unacceptable. I can provide receipts, call logs, chat screenshots, delivery confirmations of the equipment, email communications.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

You call up to add services, they claim they are providing the greatest service for a competitive price and that is very untrue. Then you are told that you can cancel at any time but fail to inform you that you are responsible for paying the full month's fees even if you only use it for 6 days! There is no grace period to see if the service is actually as great as they claim! Then when the technician comes to install the Fios, and is directing you through the process of starting your service, they do not give you time to read the pages and pages of terms and conditions (nor do they provide it with your confirmation email when signing up for services so you can read it at your leisure). I am disgusted and horrified at my experience!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Horrible products and even worse service. My phone has not worked in a month and my internet is spotty at best including the wired connection. Service is impossible to get a hold of and when you do get an actual person, they are not only unhelpful but also flat out lie to you about when you will have someone come out. Don’t expect to be able to reach a human being to help you with a credit either. Do not use this service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I have been a Verizon customer for over 20 years. I ALWAYS pay my bill early and ALWAYS overpay to keep a credit on my account. I recently received a bill with an extra $30 dollar charge. I was told it was a bill increase that could only be avoided by locking in to a @ year contract?!? REALLY?!? With my 20+ year loyalty and payment history??? I only gave 1 star because 0 was not an option. I'm having Xfinity installed next week. Goodbye Verizon!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have been Verizon Fios customer for only 12 days and would NEVER recommend them to anyone. During my ONLY 12 days of service (LOSS OF SEVERAL CHANNELS) I called Verizon to dispute the programming because I don't feel that I should be paying for something that I don't get. They offered to adjust the programming, because when I did the order on October 15 2017 they have UNIVISION and affiliates, when the service was installed on October 18 2017 all those channels are gone which was big surprise for me, the next day I called and they explained that on October 16 2017 They no longer have those channels.

Upon looking at my bill I noticed that it is higher than normal, Verizon charge me $99.99 for installation and the full month of service. Not only was told that they couldn't adjust my bill because of the loss of channels, but they could also remove the installation fee because if they had told me that those channels will no longer be on their programming would never ordered Verizon Fios to avoid those fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I ordered an upgrade to 940/800 internet service from Verizon from 50/50 which I had. The technician cam on November 1st 2017 and installed all the updated equipment but was unable to activate the service. I was told there was an activation to be done from the Verizon Office. Three days later I have no internet and no cable and after a half a dozen phone calls that have been as long as an hour or more I am no closer to getting my service restored. Verizon Customer Service reps have been frustratingly inept and completely unable to execute on my order. I'm now being told that the first order I placed was "broken" and I need to cancel it and place a new order with a new future date.

This all sounds to me like they are trying to rewrite their completion success by wiping out this failure and I have now been on the phone for an hour and 21 minutes. I still don’t have an answer when or how they will fix my service. As a long time Verizon customer I am absolutely appalled at the frustrating lack of coordination, lack of follow-up. Every time I speak to someone I have to start from scratch. Very very poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been with Verizon good for 10 years and the past 2 years their service is terrible, my monthly rate would increase every other month, they never gave me a discount, finally when I went to cancel they would not let me, finally I dropped off the equipment and got a receipt with confirmation, at this point they had no choice but to cancel my service. Well now it's been 2 months and they are still billing me for a extra month, unbelievable. I tried to call and they hung up on me twice, I cannot believe Fios service is so horrible, they also keep calling my cell phone so I finally mailed a copy of the receipt and confirmation number. At this point if I get another bill I don't know what to do, I have written proof that I handed in my equipment and cancelled. I don't know what else to do. I will never go back to them and my family and neighbors are cancelling them also.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Called customer service to renegotiate my plan, was promised a certain amount of channels and was told about a certain price. However, was shorted multiple channels and when I called Verizon and trying to get more money out of me to give me the channels that I originally requested and I was told was going to be within the price that was originally quoted to me. And they had the nerve to bash the sales girl who made the commitment to me who was very polite and in the business I'm in if you make a promise and you stand behind it you keep it. Verizon overpriced. Very very unprofessional to ask me for more money. I already paid too much for the service. They're not the only game in town anymore and they won't let me out of my contract now even though they screwed up and they admitted it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

They recently installed Verizon in our building. Our initial install had to be rescheduled because technician got delayed with other installations. The second install appointment also had to be rescheduled due to technician availability. On the third install appointment the technician knocks on the door and says that he has some bad news. He said "he would not be able to install cable today because the wires were in the hallway and needed to be spliced and there was no one available to do it." Needless to say, I cancelled my order. After cancelling the order I was told I would have to take all the equipment to UPS to return as they were not able to have the technician take the equipment. Piss poor organization and support. Would not recommend this company to anyone. This is the first time I have ever left feedback on a company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We have FIOS and until recently have been quite satisfied. We listen to music a lot and could easily switch back and forth between the music channel and all the others. It was convenient and we liked it. To get the music channel or other channels you simply punched in their number. BUT several months ago, they changed that whole format. Now in order to get the Music you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and you CANNOT easily switch back and forth between Music and another channel number. It is a BIG nuisance! And to make matters worse, the QUALITY of the music has greatly diminished! It now hick-ups (or skips a beat) during every fourth song or so. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It's as though there is a scratch on a record that would cause the recording to skip.

We've contacted FIOS a number of times and no one seems to know why the change was made except it was probably cheaper for the company. We pay big bucks for this service and the few cents it might cost the company (to retain the previous format) is not a good trade off. Give us what we paid for: easily usable, good quality programming, including the Music Channel! A dissatisfied customer.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Had service for three months. TVs freeze and pixelization, internet slow and pops off. Had three techs out and they blamed my TV, my laptop and their router was the because they now want to charge a fee for their mistake. They placed two separate routers in my home two months ago. They work horrible but yet now they want to charge me for an extender that they had here for two months prior and I have a yr guaranty on pricing and then tried to say an early termination fee but yet I’m not a two yr locked customer I’m month to month and they never honor the buyout pricing. I had to pay that off and was never given my credit from Fios for 224.00 I paid Comcast for early termination.

So buyer beware Fios is not all that. The service is horrible, the prices are a fraud and their customer service is un knowledgeable and the tech are rude no loss to me I’d rather pay Comcast the high price for much better service and at least they don’t lie three months of sheer problems. Fios needs a checkup by the Better Business department before they scam anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

For the first time in my life, I cannot watch the World Series because the mega-behemoth Verizon cannot renew a contract with the local Fox Affiliate here in Lewes, DE. Therefore, I cannot watch the World Series, nor can I watch any Fox programming. They also canceled Antenna TV. To add insult to injury, they have not adjusted my bill, I pay the same extraordinary monthly sum even with the loss of one of the major channels in North America. My plan contract expires at the end of this month, and I can't leave Verizon fast enough. They are so big, they could care less. Me as well. I will send my $2,616 annual revenue to someone who hopefully is not too big for its britches.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have spoken with multiple representatives and was told different things by all of them. When signing up for the service, I was also lied to or I would NOT have signed and started service with them. They lie nonstop just to get you to get into a contract and then overcharge. I spoke with a "supervisor" today and explained everything and he laughed... not very professional at all. I asked him to listen into the calls that I have had and he said they do not record everything and they only listen into some calls. No employee is being held accountable for the lies they tell and supervisors do not care at all. I have Verizon wireless which is why I went with Fios but I will never again buy into their crap and I will be sure I tell everyone about my experience so they do not get screwed over either.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been a Verizon Fios customer for 5 years and I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. During my last billing cycle there was a partial outage (loss of several channels) for many days (maybe about a week). I called Verizon to dispute my bill because I don't feel that I should be paying a full month’s bill when I only had partial service. Upon looking at my bill I noticed that it is higher than normal. My latest bill has a $5 late fee on it (I was about 3 days late in paying). I asked if it was possible to remove this late charge seeing as how I've been a loyal customer for 5 years. Not only was I told that they couldn't adjust my bill because of the loss of channels, but that they could also not remove the $5 late fee.

Anytime I have to deal with their customer service it's nothing but headaches, but I just couldn't believe that they couldn't remove $5 when I'm already spending over $200 a month as it is, and for very mediocre service. I have EVERY intention on getting rid of Verizon Fios as soon as my contract is up. If you are shopping around for cable, internet, and/or phone, then spare yourselves the headache and high prices and don't get Fios. I used to have Cablevision when I lived elsewhere and they were much better for less money. I hope this review helps someone!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Verizon Fios is the most expensive service to have, it usually doesn't have issues but the cost is way too much. The channels are dictated by Verizon too.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I've had issues with being charged double for the same service years ago. It went on my credit, etc etc. Meanwhile I was told that it's been all taken care of. Four months ago I've moved and canceled my old account and activated a new one. It's been four months of calling to cancel and each time being told that "it's all canceled and I will get a refund." Today, the "supervisor" explained that he can only refund last month and I need to pay the other three because that's what it says in his "notes". Now, that basically means that everything I’ve been told was a lie and I've been calling for four months for what?? Verizon pretty much knows that they can lie and the customer cannot do anything about it. At this point I cannot do anything but give them extra money for three months of expensive package that was not used!

This is my FIRST review ever. If anything, after dealing with this company I can suggest to always ask for an email in which they can send any information you agree with them in each call. I don't even know if they do that but from now on I will do everything in writing with "gangs" like this one. I am just appalled at the level of unprofessionalism and the fact that a big corporation like this can be stealing without any consequences for years now! As soon as I am "allowed" to disconnect from my new service, I will definitely do so, knowing that other companies are probably similar.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Good service and tech support. But watch out for billing, Verizon overcharges and tackle extra fees, surcharges and takes ages to get you discounts credited.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

The using the automated function of the set top box it doesn't work. When you call customer service their audio-response system doesn't seem to understand anything and is ineffective. I've been with Verizon for over 20 years. We cancelled our mobile phone service due to ever increasing costs and lack of customer support and are close to doing the same with internet/TV and landline.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Worst customer service ever. After our house burned down they agreed to suspend our contract but didn't. Continued to auto draft our account for 4 months. Got the bank to stop it and they refunded the money. Then they reported us to credit reporting agencies as delinquent many months. Verizon refuses to fix this. They still owe us several hundred dollars. Credit score is low.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We were forced when analog was replaced to pick a cable company. Verizon is no better or worse than the others. It is a total ripoff. Most things are not worth watching. Programs are older than I am. We should not have to pay extra for boxes or channels since we are already paying for the service. The added taxes I pay is over $30. Someone needs to come down on these companies for their exorbitant charges.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We have used DirecTV, Comcast, and Cablevision, and I have to say Verizon Fios has been the best - as far as quality of service, vast selection, reliability, and prompt attention to any repair/maintenance issues. The price is moderate when you consider how much you get for what you pay. We have a bundle plan - receiving TV service, home telephone, and internet. Our monthly price is about $330 (we DO have 8 TV sets and numerous Fios boxes in our home), so this high amount of TVs and service perhaps justifies the price). We are far from wealthy, but even a financially poor family like ours does best with Verizon Fios, since there is high quality, and almost no troubles.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

The service is horrible. I pay so much and have no channels to choose from. I am waiting till September and will switch back to Cablevision. Should have never left them to begin with. Verizon is the biggest scam going. Amazing these thieves can get away with this.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

After 19 yrs. with Verizon Fios I finally had it! Verizon customer service agents have lied to several times when we renew the agreement or try to lower the price. They quote lower rate on the phone and you see different amount in the Bill. Here is my latest and final chapter with Verizon. April '17: I renewed 2 yrs. agreement. Agent name was Kara. I was repeatedly told that the agreement on discount given is for 2 yrs. However, Email confirmation showed that $30 discount given was only 6 months! When I brought this to Kara's attention, her answer was "I CANNOT CHANGE BUNDLE PRICE. However, appropriate notes are in computer. Your discount is good for 2 yrs. Your monthly bill will be about $113.00" October '17: Latest bill showed the bill went up by $30+ (from $113 to >$150). Upon contacting customer service I was told the price is AS QUOTED in email sent out an agreement in April '17. The discount is expired.

There is NOTHING Verizon can do now. This is the rate I will have to pay. After several calls and talking to Verizon customer service Supervisor Ms. **, she reiterated Price cannot be changed. The price is as quoted. NO NOTES IN COMPUTER TO CONTINUE QUOTED DISCOUNT FOR THE TERM OF THE AGREEMENT. Why there was no notes when Kara had repeatedly ASSURED me she has put that in the computer? I had no way of knowing what Kara had documented in the computer. Now it's my words against what Verizon had confirmed in email. Ms ** finally agreed to waive Early Termination Fees if I decided to switch to another carrier. She gave me a week to sign up with other carrier and she promised to call me on Tuesday October 10, '17 to resolve the dispute and finalize if I wanted to switch. She also promised that if I was unavailable, she would leave a message on my answering machine.

I NEVER RECEIVED PROMISED CALL FROM Ms. **. I called Verizon again on October 11, '17. To Verizon credit, waiving early termination fees was documented in the computer and the agent I talked to took necessary steps to discontinue my services effective October 18, '17. This sort of Verizon customer service agents quoting one rate and not honoring the discount term happened with me 3 times (NO WAY FOR CONSUMER TO KNOW IF THE AGENT HAS OR HAS NOT RECORDED TERMS OF DISCOUNT IN THE COMPUTER). I had continued with Verizon in the past because they were able to offer a better price than the bill. But this time I finally had had it and decided to seek another carrier.

Ms. ** said that they will use my dispute as training tool. To me it suggests and I am confident that they have many incidents like what I went through. Two of my friends have had similar issues. I am not sure the other company I have signed up with would be any better! Time will tell. The Fios picture quality, Internet and phone quality were good. I hope and wish Verizon stop lying to customers. If agents have the authority to give discount, why would not they have authority to document and send a confirmation via email?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

It is ridiculously expensive. They keep jacking up the rates. When I added a new box, they not only charged a higher rate for the new box, but they raised the rate on the box we already had. I called to complain, but got nowhere.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

When I start up my computer to read my emails, it constantly drops and the list of available providers always has Optonline. Then I am unable to find my log in server for Fios.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The service provided by Verizon is adequate, but expensive. I pay almost $200 per month and I don't subscribe to any movie channels. I'm ready to get a Firestick and downgrade to internet and phone only.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When I moved in April 2017 from Hillside, NJ to Teaneck, NJ, I discontinued my Verizon cable and data service. I switched to another cable company. Despite this, Verizon erroneously billed for $366.58 on July 24, 2017. I called Verizon and spoke to a Verizon rep who told me the charge would be removed from my account. The next month, the amount still appeared on my bill. I spoke to another Verizon rep, who told me it might still appear for several billing cycles (though I can't understand why it should).

Now I received a letter from a collection agency, IC Systems, advising me that the bill had been turned over to them. When I call Verizon, they immediately turn my call over to IC Systems. I am unable to get through to a person at Verizon. When I call IC Systems, they ask me to send them a letter so they can refer it to Verizon. This is absurd. Why can't Verizon fix this? Please demand that Verizon remove this charge immediately and that Verizon to contact the collection company to fix this. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Fios has an excellent support staff who has always answered our questions and sought the best solution to our service problems. Fios is not necessarily the least expensive but it does offer you a great picture and service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I pay for local tv and slow internet service at almost $150.00 per month and I don't get local news channels or even the Red Sox. I have to revert to the old days and listen on the radio. It's insane how expensive it is with NO customer service. Verizon is one of the worst companies ever created in the USA.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have had Verizon Fios from the time it was offered in my neighborhood. I love it. They have the best customer service. Everyone has been very helpful and polite.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs