Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5
Based on 1,601 ratings submitted in the last year

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

BOTTOM LINE

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

PROS

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Top Verizon Fios Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and business related so it is very important to us.

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and should be allowed to expand service.

Verizon Fios Shop on FYI

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I went from Comcast to Verizon Fios, I remember that Comcast would always do work on Sunday afternoons when I would watch football. It was so frustrating. Why wouldn't they do upgrades or fixes on the weekdays when people are at work. Also the bill was extremely high. There are so many options for free tv now. All you need to internet. Say no to high bills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios internet. I never have a problem with my service. I also have cable and landline with Verizon. If I ever have a problem with my cable tv, I called the tech department and I get it resolved immediately- the tech team is great. I tell my friends that have Spectrum or Time Warner to switch over to Verizon Fios if they are having problems with their service. I have been a customer of Verizon for 47 years and have no reason to change. Try them - you will be very satisfied.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Not good at email system. Complicated structure. But good customer service. Be careful because they try to knock off people from commitment plans in order to up price by losing your recording. And their prices are unfair. 69.99 for new customers. 130 for regular customers. They keep going up and losing desired channels. I get just basics triple play and it works for me. It makes a secure reliable wireless.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Great internet, mediocre installers. I am being as honest and as thorough as I can be about my experience with Verizon Fios. What I really like about FIOS:

1) Great, reliable connection speed at reasonable price! 200 mbps for $42.66 incl. tax/mo. I had to sign up for autopay but there is no contract and autopsy isn't a deal breaker for me, the installation was free. Monthly charge includes the basic service modem but not a router. The reliability is amazing: speeds are actually higher than promised (286 down/380 up)! Optimum could only come close to 400mbps off peak hours, during the day it was hovering at 120-320mbps, optimum's upload speeds are capped at 40mbps at all times, by the way. Optimum also had a lot of weird outages (for service upgrades, etc.) at night but I haven't had one with FIOS since I switched.

2) No contract and no mandatory equipment you "must" purchase: you can buy a router, if you need one, however, as far as modems go it's provided at no cost and any router will work with it. You might not get the fast speeds if you buy an old router but you will be able to use the internet at 100mbps with the slowest one.

3) Customer service that answers when you call and an app that works: optimum's billing department was a nightmare and their app never once loaded without some errors.

What I didn't like about my experience with fios so far:

1) The installers were completely inept: they ruined my wall during the installation and didn't repair it because they, LITERALLY, didn't know how to patch a drywall. I offered them the tools but they didn't know how to use them! I didn't go after them and repaired the wall myself and they did apologize in the end but still, this should not have happened. I'm not an installer by trade but, even as a general contractor, over the years I ran miles and miles of cable, including coax and fiber, as professional, dedicated installers, shouldn't they be at least as good as me? When I saw how unprepared they were I offered to install it on my own but they wouldn't let me! Hire better installers, Verizon! Untrained laborers should not do calls, no matter how busy you are or how qualified YOU THINK they may be. Have them vetted and trained first, don't take their word for it!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

After a horrific experience with Optimum my husband and I decided to go with Verizon Fios just for their basic internet plan. We scheduled the installation for 10:30-12:00PM, the technician showed up right at 10:30. The install went perfectly and we were given Disney+ for free for a year. Great experience so far... let's see how it goes in the future!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Don't Believe the Hype About FIOS. We changed from Spectrum to FIOS because my wife's business required a more stable internet signal, and because Spectrum takes its customers for granted by jacking up fees virtually every other month. But, sadly, Verizon FIOS is simply dreadful. The first sign of trouble was my initial phone call to set up service. No one ever picked up and I gave up. So, I visited a nearby Verizon store whose friendly staff set up service. While the internet signal is more stable, it's hardly perfect. Service inexplicably goes down at least once a week. Apart from that, it is indeed refreshingly fast.

My main gripe is with FIOS TV:

1) While I had signed up for the full package, it turns out that I cannot access any local stations on my computer, a fact that Verizon reps somehow failed to inform me. And I've been unable to find out why this is.

2) Worse, FIOS inexplicably drops a program every 15 minutes, or so, requiring me to re-log in. This drives me to distraction. No reason as to why they do this.

3) Verizon devilishly divides TV channels among its various packages so that, for example, you receive CNN in one package, but not MSNBC. Or, you can get the History Channel in a package, but not AHC, or the Military History Channel. And on and on it goes. Clearly, this separating of related channels among pay packages is cynically aimed at coercing the customer to opt for the most expensive all-inclusive package.

I echo the scores of other reviewers' complaints about Verizon FIOS customer service. My initial effort to contact them went nowhere. When I messaged customer service over a technical issue, I immediate got a rep, who was very helpful. Trouble is, his promise to ensure follow-up was empty. No action was taken. Total waste of time. I had none of these issues with Spectrum. Again, my main beef with them was their arbitrary fee increases. Bottom line: I cannot recommend FIOS. It's not worth the frustrations. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

For one, they changed their tv guide. It's very slow and horrible to navigate. 2nd they sneak in a contract on you when getting replacement equipment for their horrible service, so when you are dissatisfied with them like I was they will charge you $450 to cancel for breach of contract. On that note I wasn't cancelling everything, just Television. I don't consider that breach of contract. Their service has gone to the dogs and they are borderline illegal..

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I have used Fios for about 5 years. There service is excellent. I switched to Optimum for one day because they are cheap. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I immediately switched back to Fios. Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Verizon did a poor job with my move and installation and has missed numerous appointments they scheduled to fix the problem. I have spent hours on the phone with their automated systems and voice to voice trying to get service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Great TV service + DVR, along with the fastest WiFi and internet access all wrapped up in 1 pkg. Tried Comcast, and learned their internet/wifi speed too slow for my comfort compared to Verizon FIOS. Convinced fiber optics is the better "vehicle" for tv/internet.

Verizon Fios Company Information