2.34/5
Based on 290 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2876 Verizon Fios Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

I been on the phone waiting to speak to a manager for 2 hrs. Fios employees are not helpful and continue to mess up on my billing. First I was advise due to a promotion the $99 activation fee will be waived from the bill and it wasn’t. Then the technician that came to activate my service did a very poor job. Had to call Fios since the phone line had no dial tone. They stated due that the technical failed to activate the phone line they were going to send another technician, this was Fios error so they said I didn’t have to pay the $70 technician fee.

Now check my billed for the second consecutive month and there is charges showing that the employees stated were not going to be in the bill. Due to this constant errors and incompetence to help me with my billing I been holding for over 2 hrs. Can someone please help me with this issues. They have very poor service as well as that customer service. No one should be on hold for over 2 hours trying to fix their bill. When different representatives are giving the incorrect information to us the consumers. This is awful???

Original review: June 18, 2018

I subscribed to their Preferred Package in April, 2018. I was recently notified that several channels in my 2 year "contract" were now only available in the next higher priced package. I called and spoke to several reps and a manager as to how they can change the terms of what we agreed upon mid-contract. I was told that the contract was regarding price only and they have the right to change the channel line-up at anytime. What a bait and switch.

Theoretically they could eliminate a hundred channels and I still have to pay the same price. I can understand changing at the end of my "contract" but I thought we agreed to a specific channel line-up for a specific time at a specific price. It's not like the channel providers created this issue, it was Verizon rearranging the package. They said there is nothing they can do and my option is to pay more. They did eventually agree to waive the early cancellation fee if I choose to leave. I was with Comcast for 20 years, didn't like how I was treated but they never pulled this stunt.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018 I had the unfortunate experience of trying Verizon cable. Between being lied to consistently by various Verizon employees, making promises they don’t keep,

the difficulty to get anyone to answer their phones let alone show up on a appointment on time and then be accommodating and capable is impossible. Please, go elsewhere.

Original review: June 12, 2018

About once every 6-8 weeks I get a Verizon FIOS sales rep coming to my house. I have politely told them probably 50 times over the years that we DON'T want FIOS and to stop sending reps to our house. I even told most of them to put me on a list so they won't come anymore but they just keep coming. This is pure harassment and if there's any lawsuit going on to sue Verizon over it, count me in! I'm so sick of them coming to my house after constantly telling them we're not interested.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Verizon offers this plan to cover your TV, phone, and computer. It sounds like a good deal however you pay their fees every month and when you have a claim the service is nothing short of despicable. I submitted a claim on a great Samsung TV that had a couple of white spots in the screen that appeared to be burnt out pixels. It turned out they were not burned out pixels but some other type of flaw.

Because my TV was functioning Verizon did offer a couple of shabby replacements with the condition that if I did not like their offer they would give just a little over $200 as the fair market value. The replacement TVs they offered were inferior and the $200 was unacceptable because the policy is sold as a replacement cost policy. It turned out that Asurion, which is a claims service for Verizon among other companies has their own definition of replacement cost. The bottom line here is don’t bother with the Verizon expert care program save yourself the headache!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: June 12, 2018

It's only been 11 months since I signed up with Fios and I already canceled their services. My bill was $80 a month since then every month it has increased. Every time I called they gave me false information. "But, this is free." "But this is already discounted." Then why has my bill went up to nearly $150 a month? I was told the HBO was added to my package for free. Later on I was charged every month for it. I can go on and on with all the issues I had with them.

Original review: June 11, 2018

During the sign up made it seem like I was getting a great deal especially with my channel line up and a few months later send me an email telling me several channels are getting eliminated. Had I known would have remained with Comcast.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am in West Orange NJ. I recently had internet service only installed. The installer came early and rapidly put everything in. The service works fine. Everything is great, but I cannot login into an online account to check my billing. I am not recognized. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with support, who gave up because she couldn't get me into my account either. She said she would send a temporary pin by mail. Got the pin. Pin doesn't work. It does not recognize my email, my order number, or my telephone number. I need to check the account because I have set up auto payment. I don't even know my account number. Verizon FIOS has no email address. Chat does not resolve these questions. The telephone support cannot help and I really do not want to spend any more time on the telephone or trying to figure out what the Verizon webpage wants from me.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I live in Philadelphia. For two years I had a Verizon Fios bundle of internet and TV. To reduce cost, I dropped TV but was told internet alone would cost more. I complained about my past speed and reliability problems and was told to purchase 75/75 speed to avoid problems for $80. I said, "Ok but no contract." But they assigned me to a two year contract anyway. Speed turned out to be 30/30 or 15/15 megabytes instead of 75/75. My service would black out 4-7 times a day to nothing. Customer services complaints of unreliability and slow speed were answered by rude staff blaming me. When asked to remove the old Verizon wiring I was told it would cost me. I transferred to Comcast with lower but adequate speeds for $29/mo. The installer was very professional and removed the old Verizon wiring at no extra charge. Why am I forced to pay Verizon an early cancel fee that I did not contract for? I hate this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I was on Verizon Fios for a year, they tried to charge me nearly 80 bucks for internet only after the year. They don't offer triple play where I am at. I called to ask then to lower my bill or I would be moving to Optimum. I also knew I would be moving in 6 months. They agreed on the phone to lower my bill. 6 months later when I was moving, I called to cancel and they talked about Early termination fee. Meanwhile, I never signed into any contract, I wasn't even in a contract when I joined Verizon Fios to begin with. They then tried to use some practice of sliding you into a contract without you knowing for the "convenience" of taking 10 bucks from the bill. Problem is, I never signed up for a contract, it was just a phone conversation, and an agreement to lower the bill.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Moved to Jersey City, NJ from San Francisco. Previously had Xfinity for past 3 years and had 150 mbs speed which was fast, efficient and reliable. We never experienced slow internet speeds or "slow downs" during peak hours. After moving to Jersey City, NJ, Verizon advertised "mega speeds" like 900+mbs, but user experience is not always so fast. They guide you to run their speed test which almost always shows super fast speeds, although you can't even watch a video on your computer. If you run independent speed tests, you sometimes get speeds as low as 39 mps. They try to tell you it's wifi or your computer, but I am using the exact same devices as when I was on Xfinity 1 month ago. I feel there is something misleading about their speed claims that needs investigating.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My 86 year old father was a residential Verizon Fios customer. When he moved into Assisted Living I cancelled his home phone service. At that time I asked that calls be forwarded to his cell phone. They said that they would do it. I found out a few weeks later that the forwarding was not happening. I called and was told they would fix it. When it still was not forwarding I called again. Was told it was too late and was no longer possible. I have since received 5 frantic calls from his friends who tried to call him and just got a message the phone was disconnected. They thought he died and no one told them.

My father is a ex Marine. Today on Memorial Day I received 2 calls from members of his Marine Corp League who were trying to reach him and tracked me down because they thought he was dead. Verizon insists they can't do anything. As I hang on call waiting I hear the hundreds of cool things they can do with their wonderful technology but no one can seem to figure out how to fix this mistake that is really negatively affecting an 86 year old Veteran. What a disgrace this company is!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Verizon Fios promotional advertisement of its service is an extremely deceptive scheme to customers. As a former customer I got caught up in this trap and got ripped off. This company initially would offer promotions to make their service appear affordable... After a year they start gradually increasing my bills by gradually taking the promotions away one after another and my monthly bills was increased by more than $40... For anyone out there who is thinking of joining this company listen to me carefully. It does not make any sense to pay about $200 a month for basic TV channels a home phone and internet. There is plenty of other company out there that offers better service for less than half of the price. Please stay away from Verizon Fios. This company is out to rip you off in a major way.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Residential Fios service outage has been going on for over 100 hours in Philadelphia, PA. Every time I try to call Verizon for help the recording says there is a 3 hour wait time to speak to someone once I get past all of the insipid voice prompts. Their website is completely unhelpful. There is no place to communicate with anyone from Verizon about this. The chat agent was also completely unhelpful and offered no assistance. The "ONT" does not need to be rebooted. That has been tried half a dozen times with no result. I don't think they even care if people cancel their service and go with Comcast instead.

Original review: May 13, 2018

More channels like free CBS access and college sports (lacrosse, basketball) would be nice. But all in all Verizon Fios works well and is reliable. During storms or snow the service keeps working vs Dish.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I live in a rural area and sometimes I don't get the speed that I need since I can't go through wi-fi except through my phone! It is very inconvenient.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and should be allowed to expand service.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Verizon's service is great. I get service everywhere I'm at even in the mountains. Y'all are not rude even when I can't understand y'all or y'all can't understand me. Y'all are always good with the customers and you try to fix every problem I have. All I know on a scale from one to hundred y'all are a hundred. Thanks.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Customer service is at its worst!!! I have a wire down in my yard and no internet for 11 days and counting. They have opened and closed our ticket 3 times and haven’t done anything. I’m switching to Optimum this week and happy to be done with Verizon Fios.

Original review: May 12, 2018

The programming package only benefit Verizon. It's very difficult to get customer service and it's impossible to locate phone # for problems. Slow internet speed. I am looking for new provider.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I dislike their deceptive pricing, and the cable channels are not very good. The reception is excellent, but their options are horrible for basic service. I had 3 extra that I used in addition to local TV, of which I would really only have kept one. Their representatives are not straight-forward about pricing, either in person, or on phone. Their prices tend to escalate. 2 year price guarantee is not guaranteed as they have discounts that expire.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Verizon is good, but pricey. Being seniors, we have recently changed to another provider and are happy with them and the savings. Both the coverage and new phones are great. Verizon needs to have a special plan for us seniors.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Customer service and attention have been good in the past about fixing problems promptly. Not sure how it will be with AT&T taking over. Internet service is often slow and prices are high, particularly for fixed income.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Verizon has the best internet service, especially in an apartment complex. But it is much more expensive. Internet-only options are more expensive than bundles. I don’t mind being in a contract, but I didn’t realize you can’t switch to a new bundle or plan before the 2-year contract is up.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My husband is the one who's in charge of the television works. He loves TV but I could take it or leave it. I'm not addicted to it like he is and he's always watching it so I guess for him Verizon is the way to go so I would say Verizon fits the bill.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Galaxy7 I’ve had issues and had two replacement and sent a new device which drop call, plagues the phone as the first two and then a software issue last one and over a 100 calls. I'm now getting a refurbish device. Service and customer sucks and then there are those who really do their job get no accountability. My service poorly establish 4g connection and signal strength. I've seen better and I'll consider dropping them soon.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have been with Verizon for over 10 yrs & have found their service to be much more reliable than any other company. Customer service is impeccable & very important to me more than anything else. No incentives from other companies could possibly get me to choose anything other than Verizon.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I chose Verizon and it was the worst mistake. They forever messed up my internet service; their Fios was always problematic and whenever their representatives had to come to my home to fix something (which never happened), they were rude and condescending to both my son and myself. NEVER AGAIN will I EVER recommend or use their services. They are extremely high priced too.

Original review: May 10, 2018

My experience with Verizon is not a good one. First I called customer service in August of 2017, for a replacement box. I never received it. My internet service was out for a long time. I called them back again in December of 2017, about my service. I finally received a new box but I was having trouble with the service. A technician was coming to me since December 23rd, 2017. I finally got a technician to the house after I told them I was going to cut my service with them. The technician came yesterday 1/8/2018. Poor customer service on their part.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Everyone wants fast reasonably priced service and Verizon has always delivered. Shopping around I've found other company's customer service lacking for what they charge & provide.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs