3.9/5 (2650 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Great service, but the price is too high and it goes up monthly without notice and no explanation. The internet is really good, but there are times of the day it is very spotty. They need more plans more affordable and to begin thinking that the streaming services are taking a lot of their market.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Relatively good service - at least they aren't Xfinity (Comcast)! Only issues have is remote tends to stick on certain buttons even though try to keep it clean and the cost keeps going up - plus for no good reason they took away The Weather Channel for 2 years (it's thankfully back now).

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I went from Comcast to Verizon Fios, I remember that Comcast would always do work on Sunday afternoons when I would watch football. It was so frustrating. Why wouldn't they do upgrades or fixes on the weekdays when people are at work. Also the bill was extremely high. There are so many options for free tv now. All you need to internet. Say no to high bills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios internet. I never have a problem with my service. I also have cable and landline with Verizon. If I ever have a problem with my cable tv, I called the tech department and I get it resolved immediately- the tech team is great. I tell my friends that have Spectrum or Time Warner to switch over to Verizon Fios if they are having problems with their service. I have been a customer of Verizon for 47 years and have no reason to change. Try them - you will be very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Not good at email system. Complicated structure. But good customer service. Be careful because they try to knock off people from commitment plans in order to up price by losing your recording. And their prices are unfair. 69.99 for new customers. 130 for regular customers. They keep going up and losing desired channels. I get just basics triple play and it works for me. It makes a secure reliable wireless.

Original review: July 10, 2021

So I really think how funny it is I’ve never had Verizon in Mass but yet they appear on my credit report.. Just ruined my credit for something I never had.. I’ve been trying to fight it.. Haha they keep saying I had it.. So watch out.. they're a ** company and lmfao they’ve done this to me before also.. This is the same account they said I had… Again I never had them… I really hope they step on a lego.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I switched services from Spectrum to Verizon based on the pricing and incentives. The first week of service was an nightmare as each morning the internet service would be down. I'd spend much of the day texting/calling to get service restored, often retrying fixes that I had already tried (I was a pro by day 2). Service would get restored late in the day so I'd lose a day's work/pay only for it to be out the next morning. No one could ever tell me why the service went down. This went on for and entire week. Lost an entire week's pay.

Now it's time to redeem the incentives. Getting Discovery+ loaded was very easy (why not, they want me to forget to cancel service in a year), a little harder to receive the streaming box and absolutely impossible to get the $100 gift card. The site won't open. I tried Firefox, Bing and Explorer. The chat representative sent me to the gift redemption # which is either busy or doesn't answer. It seems very convenient that this should incredibly difficult to redeem. Still on hold...

Original review: June 21, 2021

My front-to-end experience with Verizon Fios. I switched from Xfinity to Fios in late 2019. First point of frustration- inconsistent communication about what speeds were available for my residence. Online, I was told 50/50mbps (!) was the fastest I could get. Mind you, I lived in a townhouse community in a downtown metropolitan area. While surprised such a low speed was the best offering given so many of my neighbors had Fios, I went ahead.

First burn was being told I couldn't have some sign-on promotions offered and promised due to my speed plan. Even when I explained 1) I had no other speed plan choice available to me 2) the reps I had spoken/chatted with assured me I could have the promotion and 3) the Verizon site's own T/Cs said "any speed plan", in the end I didn't get the promo. I even submitted a customer experience complaint about the inconsistent messaging (website/advertisement/customer service vs. actual offering) and nothing came of it.

Just know once you're on contract the customer service attitude is very much "deal with it". I let it go and was set up for autobill and things were fairly uneventful. The speed was acceptable but not impressive, and actually became particularly problematic during covid when we started work/school from home. When I called in about higher speed plans, I was told the highest offering for my address was 75/75mbps.

Here's the seedy part- when I went back online to check offerings for my location as if a new customer however, I still saw 50/50mbps as the best offering.

The contradiction made me very leery about paying more for the additional 25mbps, so opted to stick it out on the 50/50 plan and fall back on hotspots when needed. Other than subpar speed, no issues with billing/service- that is, until it came time for us to move. As with past internet providers, I called well in advance of my final service cycle to schedule termination to fall on my move-out date. When I inquired about procedures, I was told repeatedly all I had to do is return my equipment and to expect a final, prorated bill within 30 days of service termination.

I was autobilled however the full amount of another month of service after termination and move out. This led me to call in and cancel autobill and reverse the charge, and was told again I would get one final prorated bill reflecting the shorter, terminated service period. Also, just an FYI because I very much wanted to make sure I was just charged the prorated amount, and not a full month only to wait months later for a credit/reimbursement, I've contacted Verizon 6 different times in calls/chats since my initial termination request. Calling is the classic sit on hold for 40min and possibly get routed to the wrong department.

Here lies the kicker again. Suddenly today, despite my service being disconnected, I get a brand new bill for a full month. Having been waiting on that final, prorated bill I naturally called in to figure out what was going on. Today I was routed to billing services in customer service. For the first time in all half dozen contacts, I was told there actually is no proration for termination of standalone internet services. I am expected to pay for a full month of service.

Rest assured, had I known that, I would had my service terminated on exactly the last day of my previous cycle and would have toughed it out via hotspot on my last couple days prior to my move out or something else. And I would not have wasted hours of my life on hold with different Verizon departments trying to work out my final bill.

When I explained that all previous contacts told me to anticipate proration, I was promptly told to read the terms and conditions emailed to me at the start of service and that I could be emailed those again (for the record, I double-checked my inbox for those T&Cs and were not emailed to me at the start of service, but that's beside the point). And then I was told my only option was to send a physical complaint letter to Verizon Executive offices.

I hope you can imagine how frustrated I feel by the whole experience- the inconsistent messages received from different departments (FYI, when I brought up how chat and phone reps previously spoken with confirmed my final bill would be prorated, these billing services reps just said those departments didn't know what they were talking about and pointed out my liability to carefully read the T&Cs as a paying customer).

In the end, I basically deduced and asked if all the hang up about proration was due to me having standalone internet service, which the rep confirmed was the case, because "discounts were for package customers". Personally, I don't consider proration- i.e., only paying for what you use- a "discount", but a reasonable right as a customer for any utility or service- it just makes sense.

So here I am, having never paid late or been a problematic customer, hours down the drain on calls/chats diligently working to ensure this termination would be smooth, stuck paying a full month for just 10 days of service. I just wish the very first rep I spoke with when I called about termination told me this one plain and simple fact. Instead, I'm first hearing about this loophole for standalone internet services and slapped with a full bill with no remediation but to write a letter. Yes, I feel frustrated and defeated. Thanks Verizon Fios for the kick on the way out.

Original review: June 4, 2021

Before I get this started, let me just say two things. I think I've written a review 3, maybe 4 times, so this isn't something I'm accustom to doing because I'm not generally the guy to write bad about something unless it really feels shady. 2nd, there were very nice people throughout my experience with Fios trying to get my issue solved for an hour and a half. With that said, it's about to go down.

When we got the fios fiber optics internet we were sold a bill of goods. I did a good amount of research switching internets. We were a wireless house and our internet in our building was slowing more and more as we went on. We were with Optimum and they had us, after 3 years with their company, for slow internet and a rented router (something that wasn't told to us at the time) at a price a 1/3 more of what we were paying when we first got the service. We were paying $100 for the same internet they were selling to new customers for $40.

I found Verizon Fios and they were offering the fastest internet with a free router, and deals to boot (got echo and a camera w/ the new internet after switching to Verizon, just like the commercial says). When we got the internet, being sold by their rep, I was told there would be no obstruction to the internet in any capacity.

I asked if the internet would slow down if it was shared by other people in the building. I was told no. What I wasn't told was that if there are similar services in the building it can sometimes slow down your internet. I was told that I could use my phone outside within a block radius of my router and I would be able to connect to my internet at the same speed. What I wasn't told was this was a lie. Step outside the apartment and the internet vanishes.

I was told that there are no obstructions to the internet, not a wall, not a elephant, not a bus, nothing. The internet connects through the fiber optics wires so you're good. What I wasn't told is that if a wall or walls is in the way, even in a small apartment, your internet will slow down from room to room, sometimes not working at all. I wasn't told that the internet has a fifteen foot radius (obstructing walls included) which is what I was told by a supervisor after asking to compensated for an extender in order to actually have the "fastest internet around".

They said since we were offered a free router there's no way they can allow a free extender as well. Two things cannot be free under the same subscription according to Verizon, their system forbids it. The router is apart of the deal for becoming a new Verizon customer so their system is basically saying if anything else is wrong with their service, it is "impossible" to offer another deal. The extender they are offering can either be rented for $10 a month or bought for $200 outright. At a quick google search away I found the #1 rated Fios compatible extender on ** for $129.

Ultimately, fiber optics through the "#1 Fastest Internet Provider Nationwide" is the fastest internet available, IF, you don't have walls. And Verizon will do just about everything, including lie, to let you know that it's the "fastest internet around" to get you to buy their service. And when it comes to fixing the issue with a simple extender, Verizon will do everything in their power to tell you their limits.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Not as advertised, has no range, Verizon offers an extender that absolutely doesn’t work and the speed was 5 G, I’m only getting 600 mb within the same room hence the rest of the house gets less than a hundred mb. Verizon promised that the equipment gets better only that it never did. My kids complaint of bad internet and slow which they couldn’t do their work online.

Verizon Fios Company Information