3.8/5 (1145 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was upset and perturbed when I got on the call with a customer service rep called Jay bc I had gone into specifically the Fios website about 2 weeks ago and PAUSED autopay bc I only had half of the bill owed...the IT dept never received the notif and I was deducted 120 dollars today which put my account (checking) into the negative and I was already late for an appt and decided to hurry home to take care.

Mr. Sam ** was so nice and explanatory and took care of the issue and refunded the monies and set up my new notifications and eased my worry about the account going into neg. He was pleasantly helpful and I hung up with a nice feeling of how they received my concern and handled it in a few minutes with no problem. Thanks to Mr. Sam ** who was the supervisor and also in future to call and ask for him if I needed. I highly recommend fios bc the other company I had been using wasn't as efficient and also more expensive than fios so a great thanks today and I won't worry about my checking acct now and will apparently receive the refund in only 2-3 biz days as opposed to the standard 7-14 days!! Wow thanks again Mr. **!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I want to review a Rep whose name was Mike at the Orange Plaza location in Middletown New York 10940. This man helped me tremendously with very little effort. He seemed very educated and comfortable with what he was doing and how he went about how he solved my issue. I would like to see more people like him.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Verizon Fios is very reliable, making it worth the money. I have the 3 tier service (home phone, tv & internet) at a reasonable price that is less than the other area providers by about 25%. People tell me how much they're paying and I gawk! It's like they're being ripped off to me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Good quality internet as long as installed correctly data speed and quality of latency is good. The equipment that they provide is good however you can purchase the equipment instead of renting it which would save you money on the service itself because they charge a monthly rental fee otherwise. Verizon has won JD Power for Excellence for a few year in a row and in comparison to other providers that I have experienced, the service and quality of their product internet and tv quality is superior and they also offer more channels than other carriers. A lot of people may say it's just internet or just tv but when it comes to pricing but it matters where you getting what you pay for. Pay attention to the upload and and download speed that other providers offer. People believe that streaming is download only however, it all depends where you are getting your content and streaming from that decides.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have been a customer of Verizon Fios for 8 years now. I can honestly say we have had very few if any issues. When I contact tech support the wait is usually minimal and the technician has been very knowledgeable and friendly. Would stay on the line till the issue was fixed. Verizon usually follows up the next day to ensure the problem was fixed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I tried several times to get a new deal with FiOS for internet and TV on November 13th 2021 my equipment was returned and I am owed $79. I called. They said in the next billing cycle I would get a gift card rather than the money that they took out of my account. However it is now January 22nd 2022 and I still have not received my $79. I have however received multiple offers for new service from them. Oh, it's impossible to reach them on the telephone.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

On 1/10/2022 my Verizon FIOS Internet service stopped working. The cause of this outage and a subsequent outage were Verizon's fault. I know this because at the conclusion of both service calls I asked the Verizon technicians to describe the problem and the resolution. The first outage was caused at a Verizon fiber wiring cabinet when a Verizon employee unplugged my fiber connection, and then plugged it into the wrong socket. This error left us without Internet connectivity for 4 days. The second outage happened 2 days later, and was also caused when a Verizon employee pinched or damaged my fiber cable when working in another Verizon fiber wiring cabinet. This error left us without Internet connectivity for another 3.5 days.

On 1/10/2022, the day of the outage, we received a link to a Verizon website for the purpose of troubleshooting the Verizon equipment in our home. These diagnostics concluded that an on-site visit by Verizon was required and sent us to a Verizon web page to schedule the service call. The earliest Verizon permitted us to schedule was on Thursday, 1/13/2022, 3 days from the date of the outage. We accepted that date and agreed to the appointment.

Between Monday and Thursday I made repeated posts to Verizon's support address on Twitter expressing our dyer need to have our Internet connection restored. But all of our pleas were ignored. When Thursday finally came, Verizon never showed up. When we contacted Verizon regarding our appointment, we were told that Verizon had no record of our appointment, even though we used Verizon's own resource to book that appointment. Verizon agreed to a new appointment for Friday, 1/14/2022. Our Internet connection was restored on Friday afternoon.

Two days later, Sunday, at around 10:00 AM, our Verizon FIOS Internet failed again. We contacted Verizon a second time. The best that Verizon claimed to be able to do was to schedule a new service call for Wednesday, 1/19/2022, 3 days from the second failure. On 1/19/2022 Verizon missed the appointment, showing up an hour late. Our Internet connection was restored about an hour after the Verizon technician arrived. In both cases it was Verizon themselves that caused the outage.

I have been a Systems Administrator for over 40 years. I hold several technical certifications including several computer networking certifications, which give me some insights into how a Fiber network functions, which makes it easy for me to communicate with the Verizon technicians. But I believe the most relevant certification I hold is the ITIL Foundation certification, which describes best practices for administering change, and is widely practiced by most technology and communications companies.

This is relevant as Verizon violated several ITIL disciplines, and in doing so, caused unnecessary financial hardship, mental anguish, and the inability to fulfill the responsibilities of my employment, while working remotely as required. Specifically, Verizon did not inform me, of its plans to perform maintenance on any equipment related to my Verizon FIOS Internet service. Verizon failed to provide;

* Intention to conduct maintenance/repairs
    * Description of systems/devices to be maintained/repaired
    * Date and start time for maintenance/repairs
    * Expected duration of maintenance/repairs

* What customers should expect during the maintenance/repair duration Phone number/numbers to call for information relevant to the maintenance/repairs

Because of Verizon's repeated failures; We experienced 2 sudden Verizon FIOS Internet failures with no opportunity to prepare for the outage or institute other measures to maintain Internet access which caused; Work related issues including;

* Inability to monitor critical computers & networks and respond to problems
    * Inability to meet with coworkers and clients
    * Inability to process or submit customer proposals
    * Inability to perform off-site backups of critical data

* Inability to send artwork to galleries and customers

Personal, Family & Home issues including;

* Inability to perform online banking and execute securities trading Inability to participate in remote learning
    * Inability to submit grocery orders or schedule delivery services
    * Inability to share time with family online

* Inability to activate/monitor home security devices

All of the above happened due to Verizon's repeated failures, and were made worse every day the outage continued because of Verizon's choice not to escalate the repair of the equipment that they, themselves, damaged. Verizon's products and the technology behind them are unquestionably first rate, but worth and value to the consumer are only important when it all works. My review describes how horrible things can get when Verizon itself fails.

Like many people, the past two years have meant having to adjust to countless pandemic restrictions. We work from home, shop from home, conduct medical appointments remotely. We bank from home, invest from home, perform various financial management tasks from home. We have Zoom calls with family, wondering when, or if, we’ll ever hold them in our arms again. All around the world, access to the Internet has become as necessary as electricity, water, food and heat. Verizon caused our outage, and left us to twist in the wind for 8 days.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

2.5 hours of my phone line, my time and my patience is not what I call customer service. Today I remained on the line in hope of speaking to someone, SOMEWHERE. I have started the process before but was not able to devote so much time to my problem so I hung up. I am not calling for service because I am an imbecile. I need help to correct a problem. No one cared how computer literate I am when signing me up. I want to speak to a technician. I want that person to lead me through prompts to fix my problem OR I want a rep to come to my home. I live in a city so I am sure they have qualified personnel nearby. I am now at 3 hours on a phone line listening to music that is not my taste. NO one has interrupted the wait to say I am still in the queue. But day I hang up and begin again? The computer in charge is smarter than your average computer; so will likely not report this experience. SO SAD!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I had signed up for Fios, but I have no Fios for my business, but regular copper wire service. The past years with multiple landline repairs, very slow internet speed. So after the 1st 2 years, I had requested to be removed from another 2 years contract, but to pay month by month. I don't want bondage, I am for liberty. When my wife was doing tax for my business and had found my phone bills gone up and called Verizon. She found that I was enrolled back into 2 years contract without my authorization. I was very unhappy and I didn't need a disrespectful "customer service" giving negative vibes and attitude. Sympathy is missing, but instead I got apathy and option of either cancelation with a near $800 fee or continue. The attitude of take it or leave it with a penalty fee.

I had signed out of 2 year contract not to be enrolled back without my approval. She said I had notifications, and it is too late to back out? Why enrolled people without them asking for it? What kind of sneaky business practice is this? Refusing have a manager to work out something like to get me my old rate without putting me into a 2 year contract, but month by month as an option without forcing me into a contract or penalize me with a cancelation fee. What evil Satanic business tactic practice. Disgusting. I am looking to get rid of this company. Disgusting!!! Disgusting customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I was charged $120 for wifi after cancelling my service two days into the next billing cycle which started Nov 8th. I cancelled Nov 10th & was never told that I would be charged for the whole month. I tried to call to resolve it & spoke with a manager but they didn’t care about me being a customer with them for over 10 years. I will never be a Verizon customer again. #TheftofServices

Verizon Fios Company Information