Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5
Based on 2,582 ratings submitted in the last year

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

BOTTOM LINE

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

PROS
  • Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts
CONS
  • Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Top Verizon Fios Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and business related so it is very important to us.

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and should be allowed to expand service.

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
    Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
    Where is Fios available?
    Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
    How can I get Verizon Fios?
    If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
    Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
    An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Great service, but the price is too high and it goes up monthly without notice and no explanation. The internet is really good, but there are times of the day it is very spotty. They need more plans more affordable and to begin thinking that the streaming services are taking a lot of their market.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Relatively good service - at least they aren't Xfinity (Comcast)! Only issues have is remote tends to stick on certain buttons even though try to keep it clean and the cost keeps going up - plus for no good reason they took away The Weather Channel for 2 years (it's thankfully back now).

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I went from Comcast to Verizon Fios, I remember that Comcast would always do work on Sunday afternoons when I would watch football. It was so frustrating. Why wouldn't they do upgrades or fixes on the weekdays when people are at work. Also the bill was extremely high. There are so many options for free tv now. All you need to internet. Say no to high bills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios internet. I never have a problem with my service. I also have cable and landline with Verizon. If I ever have a problem with my cable tv, I called the tech department and I get it resolved immediately- the tech team is great. I tell my friends that have Spectrum or Time Warner to switch over to Verizon Fios if they are having problems with their service. I have been a customer of Verizon for 47 years and have no reason to change. Try them - you will be very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Not good at email system. Complicated structure. But good customer service. Be careful because they try to knock off people from commitment plans in order to up price by losing your recording. And their prices are unfair. 69.99 for new customers. 130 for regular customers. They keep going up and losing desired channels. I get just basics triple play and it works for me. It makes a secure reliable wireless.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Last week Verizon suddenly told us our plan had "expired" even though we've been paying every month for years. We were sent a new router but we were required to return the old router or else pay. Returning was hell on wheels. One store in Bowie Town Center said "Oh no, we only do wireless" and sent us to Upper Marlboro. The store in Upper Marlboro said we needed an appointment and made us wait and watch for a appointment appeared on our phone. Then, finally, after using two hours of our time, they took the old equipment. It's time to file an anti-trust suit against Verizon, in my opinion.

Original review: April 16, 2021

My order was confirmed for "Most TV" which is the most expensive TV package. After 1 day of working about 140 channels included in the plan disappeared and message on the screen said "You are not subscribed to this channel". Screen said also "click Info" and after clicked message was "We found your order and you need to reboot STD", which I did and screen backed to "You are not subscribed". I called tech support and some Indian guy from Mumbai or Delhi told me that yes, I have "Most TV" but these channels are not subscribed to. I told him to look for channels again because I have list of these channels in Most TV package. Three different tech support people told me the same thing. Spent 3 hours on the phone with them.

Finally, they transferred me to a "billing" and billing dept. person told me that 'Yes, these channels are included in my package" and for about 2 hours they tried to restore them with no results. Lady tried to re-issue a new order (exactly the same) and these 140 channels didn't come back. Lady gave up and after spending 5-6 hours of my time I still don't have these channels, paying for the service meanwhile. Verizon trying to save money by using cheap labor overseas, India I guess and these people have no knowledge and worthless. That in time when because of COVID we have high unemployment in our own country. Also, if you have a problem and working during the day you have to take a day off, because service department hours 8AM-7PM and after that only Indian tech support which is worthless.

I just have 2 months of service, paying $230 per month and have only frustration. Oh, lady from billing department offered me $5 credit for my problems, like you give a quarter to waiter for a "good" service. Another problem, I ordered Gigabit Internet speed for $95 per month and when installed, in the room 10 feet away from the modem I had only 20-30 Megabit speed. They offered WiFi extender for $10 a month. Pure scam. I'm thinking to go back to cable. Was cheaper and better.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Must say I am not happy with the new gigabit router! Does not have the extended range promised and your support staff is horrible, they blame each other and just pass the buck. Then to call into the call center means an hour on hold only to speak to a rude supervisor named Arthur. I would discourage anyone to get into a contract with Verizon, they will promise you good service then deliver nothing.

Original review: March 27, 2021

While the packages are a better value than Comcast, their Customer Service is piss poor. Multiple calls to Customer Service to get them to honor the promotions I was offered when I signed up. Customer Service Manager basically told me "oh well" and nothing he could do to help. I pay for the most expensive TV, internet, DVR, etc. and have found the experience frustrating to say the least.

Original review: March 3, 2021

If you lost internet and you may pray to God, wait to fix or dial 1800-837-4966 then go on vacation come back one 1 week later you will still hear.... "We are sorry all our representatives are still busy, you will hear music until your call is answered."

Verizon Fios Company Information