Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.38/5
Based on 1,919 ratings submitted in the last year

Verizon Fios Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

After a horrific experience with Optimum my husband and I decided to go with Verizon Fios just for their basic internet plan. We scheduled the installation for 10:30-12:00PM, the technician showed up right at 10:30. The install went perfectly and we were given Disney+ for free for a year. Great experience so far... let's see how it goes in the future!

Original review: March 27, 2019

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and business related so it is very important to us.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Pricing is extremely high besides that, and the complications of discontinuing services. Many companies I dealt with in the past, but this company has it hands down! Verizon is the only company who l see myself in dealings with. The best to ever do it. Yay Verizon!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Honestly, the only thing I can complain about is the Tech who installed the thing. And I wouldn't even call it a complaint. He didn't necessarily have the people skills, but he was good at what he did and ended up going above and beyond. The signal is great, the speed is great, and it's all at the price of $55 a month. There are a TON of bad reviews here, and I'd like to urge anyone reading this to consider the fact that 1 out of 10 people who received good service will write a review about it, but you best be sure that 9 out 10 bad experiences will be voiced. I am very pleased with my service and haven't had a single issue in 9 months of having the provider.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

As a 57 year old New York atty it is hard to break me but they did.. I am tired from moving but after 9 hours of calls they destroyed me today. I had an appointment with Optimum made 10 days earlier. But they just never showed.. so I called Verizon at 7:30 am and ordered service. They told me a technician could not come for 7 days. I have two high school students so this causes a big problem with school. I called back and the technician said I could self install but she would not answer some questions so I called back.

This new person said to go pick up the boxes and just plug them in. I drive to pick up the boxes but the store had no record of my order and would not activate them. I called back.. It is now 2pm. The technician said he was sorry I was given wrong info and had to start over. Transferred me and I had to make a completely new order and second credit check was performed. NOW the new installation date was a day LATER. She transferred me back to a technician to explain why I could not self install and she said my order was on hold and could not answer a question. Then the lady who sent me to get the boxes called back and wanted to know why I made a new order.

I explained you gave me completely wrong info and sent we on a useless one hour errand. She then canceled all my orders. I then called back, it is now 5::40 pm and a man reinstated my order but he said something very interesting. He said, “Do Not take any more phone calls from Verizon employees," because he was taking care of me. I believe each Verizon employee told me a different story so they could change the order and get a commission. As evidenced from the last person insisting that I do not even pick up the phone if another rep calls back because I am with him now. So I called Optimum. They will be here in 2 days and then I will have the great pleasure of cancelling with Verizon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I am a disabled older woman who is homebound. I had Verizon FIOS for over 10 yrs and even though it was expensive really liked my channels and especially the On Demand service. It allowed me to go back and enjoy the humor of the late night talk hosts without having to stay up and to get programming of old shows. Last Sunday I clicked my on demand button and got a bright (overbright) screen that invited me to a new experience just click here. I have no interest in most new experiences and didn't click. But all the screens were changed.

My bookmarked shows were almost all gone from the screen. As I found one or the other and clicked I got a gray screen that said "no data," and clicked off. I looked up instructions (MINIMAL AND NOT HELPFUL) online and rebooted several times. I called up Verizon service and was told to reboot as woman checked system. Finally after frustrating calls back and fighting with On Demand which would suddenly start to work and then die I call and got a repair ticket. A day later I got an email that said my ticket was closed congratulations. Now really furious I found Verizon customer service on Facebook and did have a conversation with a person who answered my questions but still didn't seem to get the picture.

I told her I had worked in systems before and knew a faulty programming change when I saw one. We opened another ticket and she apologized. The technicians came as promised and were lovely but immediately identified my router as being from the stone age. They told me I would probably need a new router ($3 per month or $300 to buy). Obvious answer since electronic equipment goes out faster than last month's women's fashions - I agreed to pay $3 a month. They then came in to see what was going on. They rebooted called their offices - things started to work for moment then stopped.

Finally they called their co-workers in a Verizon office to find out when they had their buddies check that those guys were having same problems I was with on demand. So they told me what I knew from beginning - they couldn't help me. They asked me not to open another ticket for at least a week since it probably would take at least a week to have in office people change something. (I agreed as opening another ticket to call them back would be waste of my and their time.) But that did not mean I wasn't going to complain. Then got joyous email telling me problem was resolved.

This is what I posted on Facebook for those poor hapless customer service people (always polite always patient but unable to solve most problems. I received a lovely email that said "Your Verizon repair request, ticket #** has been resolved." Of course this is NOT TRUE!!! And if your customer service people here and online had listened to me you might have saved the verizon technicians who came and tried without success to resolve it. IT IS A PROGRAMMING PROBLEM!!!! They closed the ticket because there was nothing they can do. You have changed the On Demand system to attract younger more app loving customers and left us older ones who just want stuff to work out in the cold. I don't want another ticket to be opened. In a week I'll start out on the customer service telephone circus or maybe just maybe it'll be fixed. If not I will have to look for what may not be better but will probably be cheaper.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I had the absolute worst customer service and "quality" experience with Verizon Fios. Their "wireless" platform is a joke. I tolerated freezing pixelated TV images for 11 months in my two bedrooms with their "top boxes." Their fix was ultimately a newer, more expensive router than the one they first installed to better reach the rooms in my small 900 sq.ft. apartment. Then they charged me nearly $200 to swap out their own junky, faulty equipment they themselves offered and installed! No credit for the 11 months of horrible unwatchable TV and they topped it off with completely insulting and rude customer service. This company really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Spoke to the Financial Department and told them that I paid via Debit Card on Jan 15 for $235.99 and on Jan 16, they took automatically $296.99 on my account which they shouldn't because they told me that they will give me a credit of $60.00 so my bill will only be $235.00. But they took double payment and spoke to Jonathan at the FF department and he said that they cannot put my money back until 10 days or I have to call on Jan 27. I asked for the supervisor and Jonathan told me all the supervisor are busy. Worse customer service I ever had. I wish COX cable serve in my area. FIOS is the worse service.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I spent two days trying to explain to Verizon that as an “Auto Pay Enrollment Customer” I should receive a $10 CREDIT on my account. Day one, they shared that “only applied if your auto pay was with a DEBIT card and I was using a CREDIT card”. After explaining for nearly an hour and a half that I was indeed enrolled with a debit card, they remained committed to insisting it was a CREDIT card. Blamed my bank for how they processed it and shared THEY were the culprits. Day 2, I called from a landline and had my bank on speaker phone and my bank shared with Verizon that every payment but two (2) were auto enrollment payments and they showed up on the bank's end as DEBITS. ALL BUT TWO! Nearly $240.

I’ve been hung up on several times and transferred to departments that are closed. And most recently told that they did NOT HAVE AUTO PAY enrollment credits in 2018 when I signed up. I shared with this individual that I received an email from Verizon thanking me for my auto pay enrollment on 05/07/2018 and that I would be happy to forward them the email. I was then told that the autopay credit is ONLY for “certain” bundles and mine probably didn’t qualify. Recap:

Must use DEBIT card to get credit — I am.
          Must be YOUR BANK’S coding — merged a call with the bank, it’s NOT.

Didn’t offer it back in 2018 — Asked if they’d like for me to forward their email and their articles dating back to 2017 that shows they were offering this benefit—they said it was a different bundle

Lastly, I informed the last person I spoke with about this, that I felt the need to record the call after they’d come back each time with so many competing reasons not to honor their agreement and then seconds later, I’m listening to a dial tone. She hung up! I am reporting Verizon to the Better Business Bureau. I caution anyone from doing business with them. Mind you, I’m an excellent paying customer and this is how they TREAT ME. Verizon should be audited for corruption and fraud.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Verizon forced me to switch from my copper-line DSL to FIOS. FIOS might be faster (the jury is still out on that), but I had more reliable service with my old DSL. FIOS is blacking out daily, sometime several times a day. There were blackouts with DSL, too, but much less frequently (not more than once or twice a week as I recall). Calls to Verizon to resolve the problem are fruitless.

Not sure about Verizon Fios?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team