Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.19/5
Based on 1,908 ratings submitted in the last year

Verizon Fios Reviews

Original review: March 23, 2020

I called Verizon to cancel on 3/23. The confirmation said said 3/26. I called again to cancel on 3/23, now it says 3/27. The online chat is not responding to my request. I need the service to be canceled on a specific date, so that I am not billed for another month.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Prior to this incident, I actually had always had pretty good experiences with Verizon. Internet was always fast, never went out, and never had any issues with payments or anything. That's why when I was planning a move to a new home, I absolutely wanted to keep my Fios service. To start that, I filled out the online form that Fios utilizes, wherein you basically set a date that you'd like your internet service to end at your old address, and set a date for when you'd like your internet service to begin again at your new address. Simple enough. I filled out the form, and set both dates to a date about 25 days away (that would be the day I'd actually be in the new house, and out of the old house). However, as soon as I hit submit on the form...my internet went out. I was very confused by this, and checked my confirmation to see if I made an error. I didn't.

In plain black and white, the cut-off date for internet in my old home was 25 days away, as I had wanted it. For whatever reason, Verizon cut it off literally the second after I hit submit on the form. I was irritated, but understood mistakes happen, and figured it was probably just a glitch or error on their end. After being on hold for a little bit of time, I spoke to a representative. They gave me not so great news. Apparently, when you cut off service like that to a home, you cannot simply just re-activate it, or at least that's what Verizon told me. To restore service to the home, I'd need to create a new account to cover the now 25 day gap I'd have between actually moving. This really frustrated me, and despite my pleas about the fact it was an apparent error on their part, they could do nothing for me.

With several affirmations that I wouldn't pay any sort of new account fees, and that the account would terminate after the 25 days, I begrudgingly decided to create a new account. I really was apoplectic about the whole thing, especially given the fact I didn't error, Verizon did. Even still, it seems absolutely asinine that with all of its money and resources, Verizon lacks the ability to reverse cancellations/terminations. Customers make mistakes too, and throwing your customers through the ringer because they accidentally ended services (or ended them prematurely), is absurd. For my specific scenario, again, I did not make such an error, something wrong occurred on Verizon's end. Even still, they severely inconvenienced me for it, which left a really bad taste in my mouth.

About an hour later, after pondering it for a bit, I decided that I wanted to cancel my Fios service outright. I made some additional calls to Verizon, and relayed that I wanted the service request cancelled at my new home, and that I wanted both that account (and the temporary one I had just made an hour ago), cancelled outright, and that I would not be utilizing their service. Ultimately, I had a bad feeling that issues would arise out of that "temporary account", and boy did they. When I called about cancelling, I made sure to inquire that I would not owe anything on that "new" temporary account that was made, given I did not ever have service on it, and that it only existed because Verizon messed up, and it was solely acting as a placeholder until I moved...again...because of their glitch/error. I was assured I would not owe anything.

A week later, I noticed that the account had a "pending bill", in that there was no dollar amount or anything, but that a bill was in the works of being made. This concerned me, so I called again. Once more, I was reassured that I wouldn't owe anything, and that I could ignore it. Another week or so later, an actual bill popped up, for the monthly amount I would have paid had I actually had service. At this point, I was irate, but once again called and questioned if I'd owe anything. Again, I was told no, and that the bill hadn't dropped off yet because the "credit" or whatever could not process until later. Again, I was told to ignore it.

A couple of weeks later, I got a notice regarding my "overdue" bill. I ignored the first, but when I got a second the very next day, I called Verizon AGAIN. I questioned why I was getting notices to pay an overdue bill that I was told I didn't owe. Once again, I was told to ignore, and that the charge still just needed to drop off, and not to worry. At this point, I knew something was awry, but I really could do nothing because I kept getting the same answer...that I flat out did not owe anything and that these notifications were just automated things that got sent out, and that my account was marked as not owing anything. Another week passed or so, and I started getting more calls/emails/mail, which now started threatening involving a collection agency. At this point, I was beside myself, and jumped onto Verizon's online chat and started to speak with an agent.

That agent began to tell me completely different information than everyone else I had spoken to at Verizon. While the countless reps/agents before had told me I did not owe anything, this agent sang a different tune. He specified that I did owe that money (for service I never even had), and that his supervisor's word decreed it. I immediately asked to speak to his supervisor, which the agent obliged. The supervisor reiterated what the agent had told me, and admittedly, I erupted on this supervisor (no foul language or anything, just very stern and direct). He could not provide an answer as to why I had been told countless times I didn't owe. He could not provide any intel into all the conversations I had had prior with anyone from Verizon (apparently Verizon doesn't keep a log/notes of interactions with their customers on issues like this).

I am usually pretty apathetic when it comes to dealing with companies, but I have never been as irate as I was speaking with this supervisor. Ultimately, I told him I refused to pay it, and that their customer service was horrific. Again, I just laid out the terrible experience for him, and that on principle alone, I would never pay the money I supposedly owed. Finally, the supervisor relented, and said while typically they didn't issue refunds on stand-alone services (like internet), that he'd go ahead and credit it back so that I did not owe anything. FINALLY, I thought. It's over. Not quite.

2 days later, I was STILL receiving threatening/harassing notices from Verizon about my overdue bill. One last time, I called Verizon, and asked why this credit had not processed. Apparently, this supervisor I spoke to had marked my account to be credited back, but never actually did it. As soon as I got on the phone, I asked immediately to speak to a supervisor again, and gave the whole spiel for about the 15th time to Verizon. This supervisor actually DID process the credit, and a couple of hours later, I finally got an official notification from Verizon that the account had been credited, and that I did not owe anything. As of now, I think it is FINALLY resolved. Honestly though, I cannot see myself ever utilizing Verizon Fios ever again in my lifetime, and am definitely considering dropping them as my mobile provider as well. Just absolutely horrific customer service throughout this entire ordeal.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have been using Verizon for almost 8 months. I am fully satisfied with the internet service but TV service is a real scam. They would put you in a discount package if you take a TV and the internet combined. The idea is to make more money by using their TV service. I have taken the package of $125.36 monthly all-inclusive but they billed me correctly only one month. Every month they have a reason to change the bill. I decided to terminate the TV, but the early termination fee is $260. I decided to cancel the contract as soon as the contract is due. Never buy TV + internet combined. TV rating 0*. FIOS internet 5*.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I just called Fios and asked them why I got bill 276.22. They said because I never discontinue their service but they got my router and cable box in the mail. They also cannot find an confirmation number stating that I wanted my service discontinued but they got something saying that they receive my boxes. They said it is my fault that I never called and told them to say the word discontinued. So if someone want to cancel their service make sure you say discontinued. Also dont do paperless billing. They will never send you anything in the mail stating the last bill or discontinue service. I will never deal with Verizon fios again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I disconnected my services due to their inability to appropriately bill me and WAS STILL billed following disconnection for an entire month. When I contacted them regarding this, they "could not locate my account" even with the disconnection order number, address, phone number, and full name. I would never ever recommend them. Go to Comcast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Verizon Fios customer service is terrible. When you can get through, if you don't have or remember your pin number they won't help you. I cannot cancel this awful service because I cannot update my information because I don't have a pin number yet when I signed up for FIOS 15 years ago they did not generate pin numbers! Not to mention when the technician came to install Fios he caught the back of my house on fire! I despise Verizon and will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I was a Verizon Customer for 20+ years! And I had Triple-Play with Internet Speed 50/50Mbps! Each year my bills went up from $64 to $179.10 until January 2020! Only towards the last year-end of 2019 I found the internet speed was NEVER 50/50 Mbps.. Instead it was Download 12Mbps and Upload 6~8Mbps. I noticed this and called Verizon they said they’ll replace Both Router and Cables which needs to be updated!

At one instance in March 2017 Verizon visits to check a dial-tone. Cost me $150.. a Unbelievable! Verizon didn’t help the loyal customer being with them for 20+ years! Instead went up to hook me with another contract with them! For which I refused and sought another company and which gives me better internet speed and lowered my bill by $60 an average each month. It’s NOT true... Fios MoCa cables are the fastest. Check your area with another company which gives service not only without a contact but also copper cables with higher internet speed up to 400 Mbps. So... go valuable with your money with these dervices!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Dishonest deceptive marketing tactics. I called to replace my router and increase my internet speed. When I was done purchasing the router outright and having new cable boxes installed "because they would not handle the new speeds". My cable package had been discontinued and replaced with a lesser package for a higher monthly bill. Not at any point in time during a 3 hour conversation was it ever disclosed that my cable package was being changed. My request was for improved wifi service in my house and increased internet speed. What I got was Duped.

Stonewalling tactics, argumentative behavior and deception are the best words to describe this disturbing transaction with Verizon. I was assured by management that a rep would call the house to discuss a "discounted" resolution to "reup" our cable package. Caveat Emptor. Verizon cable packages do not contain HBO or Cinemax...they are ala carte channels for which you will pay another 25.00/month!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Verizon FiOS customer support is getting worse and worse. They cannot be reached by phone, chat or email. I cannot find their email anywhere on their website. Calling need wait for more than 45 minutes, chat at least 20 minutes wait if they connect you. That is a horrible customer service. What is the use of customer support if cannot be easily reached???? I guess they have customer non-support.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Wow, horrible service. To start with when they first set up my appointment they kept not showing up for a few weeks. Then when I ended service they are billing me for time that I didn't use their service, I spoke with many people and finally got to a supervisor. What did the supervisor do? He laughed in my face and said he won't help. Unbelievable. I have no problem paying for services I got, but paying for services I didn't??? That's not ok.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.

• Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.

• Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.

• Best for: Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team