3.9/5 (2638 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Great service, but the price is too high and it goes up monthly without notice and no explanation. The internet is really good, but there are times of the day it is very spotty. They need more plans more affordable and to begin thinking that the streaming services are taking a lot of their market.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Relatively good service - at least they aren't Xfinity (Comcast)! Only issues have is remote tends to stick on certain buttons even though try to keep it clean and the cost keeps going up - plus for no good reason they took away The Weather Channel for 2 years (it's thankfully back now).

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I went from Comcast to Verizon Fios, I remember that Comcast would always do work on Sunday afternoons when I would watch football. It was so frustrating. Why wouldn't they do upgrades or fixes on the weekdays when people are at work. Also the bill was extremely high. There are so many options for free tv now. All you need to internet. Say no to high bills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios internet. I never have a problem with my service. I also have cable and landline with Verizon. If I ever have a problem with my cable tv, I called the tech department and I get it resolved immediately- the tech team is great. I tell my friends that have Spectrum or Time Warner to switch over to Verizon Fios if they are having problems with their service. I have been a customer of Verizon for 47 years and have no reason to change. Try them - you will be very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Not good at email system. Complicated structure. But good customer service. Be careful because they try to knock off people from commitment plans in order to up price by losing your recording. And their prices are unfair. 69.99 for new customers. 130 for regular customers. They keep going up and losing desired channels. I get just basics triple play and it works for me. It makes a secure reliable wireless.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I've been trying to leave Comcast for years now, but, unfortunately, in my area, there were no alternatives. So, I was very happy to see that Verizon now had a home internet option in my neighborhood. I spoke with customer service before ordering, to make sure I wasn't signing up for something actually worse than Comcast. Well, that's exactly what happened. I received a box three days later, that - 1) did not include a wire to plug the modem into any outlet; and 2) specified that I must mount the modem to my window! The modem is a big, ugly, clunky white box. So, of course I didn't want to do that. I can't imagine who would.

Also - for all this - it was actually $10 more a month than Comcast! If all that were not bad enough, when I tried to chat with customer service to get this hideous thing out of my house and shut down any bills that may be in the works, the customer service was way worse even than Comcast! And there are whole SNL skits based upon how bad they are! It was unbelievable. I was on the phone/chat for an hour before anyone who would actually help me was able to speak to me. What a disappointment!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I have their service for a little over two years - and CONSTANTLY had issues with service cutting out. Every time I'd contact their chat it was a robot and took me at least 10 min to connect with a person. Even then, most of the time they could not help me and I'd have to call. When I'd call the number they gave me without fail would send me to Verizon cellphone service and the representative would tell me they couldn't help and I'd have to call another number (BUT IT WAS THE SAME NUMBER). For over a year we had issues and they just told us to reset the router which would often time not start working for hours. Then, they finally sent out a tech and he said our wires were bad (had to replace them) and said we should get a new router. The router we had we were renting from Verizon and he said the new router would work much faster but our service price and everything would be the same.

We were renting a house so when I started service I did not want to be under a contract. When I called to cancel service a few months later they said we had begun a new contract when they switched that router and were charging me a cancelation fee. I called them and explained how I was never under contract. This was when I first received my bill in July. The woman said she understood, there must have been a miscommunication and said she would not charge me. She gave me an call ID in case I had issues.

The end of July I get an email that they charged me the cancelation fee. I called them and the representative I spoke with this time told me that the call ID I had didn't exist. She had the worst attitude, was arguing with me that I signed a contact. When I asked her to send me the contract, she told me because my service was ended she couldn't send it to me. After literally arguing with her for 20 minutes, I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor looked into it all, agreed (again) to credit my account because it was not clear I was in contract. She said the money would be sent back via my direct deposit but to call the billing department. I called them and they assured me it would be sent that way. I communicated to them then I did not want something sent via mail because I was moving, they assured me it wouldn't be. That entire call process lasted HOURS.

Then, in the middle of august when nothing had credited to my account, I again tried to call billing. Had to mess with the whole calling Verizon cell number having them try to transfer me, getting disconnected, and having to recall multiple times. That entire call lasted an hour. The man I spoke to in billing said at that time, it showed they credited my account but it may take another billing cycle to show up. He again assured me it would go into my account.

Now here we are in September without a refund. I just called them again (this is a total of 4 times since I ended service with hours of time spent talking to them) and they freaking told me they sent a freaking card to my old address with my refund back in the beginning of August. This is after I told them THREE times I didn't want it sent that way, but if it had to be I'd give them a new address. After they told me THREE times it would be sent back via direct deposit. And THREE times I've had to call them about this refund when I shouldn't have been charged in the first place.

I would never ever recommend their service. It's sketching, cuts out all the time. Their representatives are the hardest to get ahold of, they are disorganized, and straight up rude. I have never been treated so badly by a representative in my entire life. I never write reviews, this is my first one ever. But I feel so strongly about how ** they have been that I needed to warn people. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

It has been 8 month since I made my order.. I paid for all equipment and still no tech came down to install.... They canceled on me every time after waiting the whole day home.. And no customer service to help.. Horrible. Horrible.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I switched service, and it has been nothing but a big nightmare. My service keeps going out constantly. I try troubleshooting with technical support, and they keep saying "WE ARE GOING TO FIX THE PROBLEM!" Nothing ever gets resolved. I'm on my second box and the same problem returned. I'm in the process of looking for another provider. Oh and may I add that the $100 prepaid gift cards all of the sudden turned into Verizon gift cards that can only be used to purchase their products. "SCAM ALERT!"

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I've been waiting over 8 days to have my business phone line and internet service installed. I've spoke to multiple customer service reps, Supervisors and Dispatchers, but was given the run-around for 8 days. I've even sent emails to CEO's at their Corporate office, but have not heard back. Now, I'm being told they can't get to me until Tuesday, which will be a total of 12+ days. Is it ok for my business to lose revenue for 12 days, but if we owed them $1, they would be quick to shut off our service. Is that fair? I don't think so!! At this point, I think a 1 Star is being too generous!!! Verizon really needs to get their act together... I'm Very very disappointed, and so should they!!

Verizon Fios Company Information