Verizon Fios

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Verizon's customer service and business practices are deplorable and unethical. They reel you into their "contract agreements" with verbal promises only to bait and switch and breach the contract. Their MO is to wear you down until you cave in. They spend an exorbitant amount of money and resources to market and promote their products and services, and yet have no interest in retaining their long-term customers. Their prices go up arbitrarily with no advanced notification only to hope the customer does not examine the itemized bill. Based on other reviews, my experiences are not unique and hopefully Verizon will someday pay attention to their customers who sustain their business.

I called to cancel service. I tried put it in someone else's name 24 hrs later and I had a $230 cancellation fee. Customer service said that the person that the service would be going under would have to pay an installation fee and would also have to pay for new equipment but if the person had the same last name they wouldn't have to pay for new equipment. That doesn't make any sense to me. If I wouldn't need new equipment if it's in someone's name who carries the same last name why would I need new equipment for someone without the same last name. It's the same house and same service. They did not try to work with me in any way.

The first time I called the lady said I wouldn't have to pay for the new fees, I didn't continue with her because she said I would be paying more for less service but when I looked online they had a package for the same price that I am paying. When I called back I was told from a man and his supervisor that I would have to pay all the fees. They cannot waive anything even though I wanted to continue service. All they care about is how much they can get out of you. If I have to to pay cancellation, equipment, and installment fees why would I want to continue service with them. I rather go with a different company. I had Comcast Xfinity for years and had no issues ever with them. I listened to a friend and switched to Verizon. It was the worst decision. They don't care about the customer. Comcast is better and you are able to connect anywhere that has Xfinity.

Both the manager and the salesman we dealt with at the Mt. Orab, Ohio Verizon store lied to us about the unlimited data plan. We were told we could watch movies all day and night, videos to our hearts' content. So after watching less than ten music videos on Youtube and a half hour of a documentary on Netflix we received an email notification that we had used all of our 4G data and would not receive more for two weeks. Now videos buffer continuously and our internet runs noticeably slower. When I called to complain both the manager and salesman were no longer employed, though it's been less than two months since we signed up. This is false advertising and blatant lying, and we are very angry and disappointed. Where is the class action lawsuit to address this consumer fraud?

I subscribed to Fios upon moving about month ago. Today is may 5th. I subscribed April 4th for 79.99 package plus Showtime. Somehow my package got upgraded on 7th to extreme to 109.99 which I didn't even know until I called and got bill on April 17th. I ended up on hold for a while which doesn't bother me with speaker phone and eventually get to a supervisor who fixes the bill and sends me email on April 17th stating that's the effective date for the correction. I have it in writing. So when I go to pay my bill and it's wrong and same as original. I call.

Get a nasty customer service supervisor who doesn't understand that if you are going to charge 109.99 for month and their bills are monthly with no adjustments as she says that I should have those channels until end of billing cycle which I did not. The extreme service was cut off on April 17th. I work with the public daily so everyone has a bad day but I think my issue was clear. I'm switching to Optimum.

This complaint is for my Verizon Fios service. I have had this service for 8 years now. In the past year I have had constant internet outages. I would call Verizon frequently and they would do silly fixes that never fixed the root of the problem. Eventually I got fed up and told them they had to do something about it or lose a customer.

On a Saturday, they sent a technician to replace the boxes on the outside of the house and inside my garage. The technician performed the most unprofessional job I ever experienced. The technician wired an Ethernet cable by simply drilling a hole in my wall and running a wire through. He didn't even seal the hole. So now I have a hole in my wall with a wire hanging out that is exposed to the outdoors. To make matters worse, he scratches my car that was in the garage. A deep scratch down to bare metal.

I called Verizon on Monday complaining about this. They told me I would have someone call me in 48 hours. 48 hours later no one had contacted me. I then called Verizon back asking what was going on. Once more I was told I would be called within 48 hours. Then the person on the phone had the nerve to ask me if I was receiving, “5-star service."

Now Friday, 4 days later, 96 hours later I still had not received a call from Verizon. This time I called back very angry and demanded that someone tell me what is going on because I was not getting off the phone this time. The woman I was talking to made sure to contact the dispatch that was supposed to resolve my issue, the manager of dispatch is a man named Ryan **. He was supposed to contact me and wasn't doing so for some reason. The woman I was speaking to then told me she emailed Ryan and that he would contact me very soon. I received a call from Ryan maybe an hour later. He apologized for what happened and said he would send someone to my home to fix the poor installation and find a way to resolve the damage to my car. He told me he would call me on Monday to discuss things further.

Monday came and Ryan never called. I called Ryan and left him a message and he didn’t respond. I called Verizon again asking what was going on, and that Ryan was not responding. They told me the matter, “will be resolved.” Ryan called the next day saying he would be sending a technician to fix the poor installation. Luckily I was home. The technician came and during the fixing the technician told me she could not install an outlet for the Ethernet cable due to the previous technician drilling a hole through the beam of the house. I am now left with a poor fix for a poor installation.

Two days later Ryan texts me to tell me that they will not pay for the damage to my car. He tells me that he, “Got word that we will not pay for your scratch.” He told me that if I, “believe” the technician scratched my car I should go to court. I replied, “I don’t believe, I know he scratched my car.” I then told him I would appreciate a call instead of a text. He called me soon after to tell me that he spoke to the people that are responsible for handling property damages and they told him that the damage would not be covered.

I asked him to give me the names and phone numbers of the people who told him this information so I could speak to them. He then replies, “It was my decision, I decided not to pay for the damage on your car.” So I respond with, “What do you mean? You just told me that this was someone else’s decision.” He responds with, “No, it was my decision.” I said, “That’s not what you said a second ago.” Ryan responds, “No, it was my decision. My name is Ryan **.” I said fine and ended the call then. This company has given me one of the worst services I have ever experienced. I am going to look into a new service provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

In response to my FCC complaint #**, Ms Benita ** on October 9, 2015, negotiated a verbal contract with me by telephone. I was to be "grandfathered" back to the FIOS Prime HD package at a rate of $140 per month for two years. I realized that the verbal contract had not been kept, but a personal tragedy prevented immediate action.

When I finally telephoned Ms B. ** to complain, she unexpectedly lied, telling me that I had confused her with another employee named Chanel **. She told me that she was not the employee who verbally negotiated the conclusion of my FCC complaint. (Her involvement can be verified by a stored 2015 voicemail from her colleague, Mr. Jamie **. Additionally, on January 17, 2017, Tim ** confirmed that Chanel ** had no part, at any time with my FCC complaint.)

Continuing to lie, she said, since she had not handled the matter, she would need to speak with the "other Ms **." Fortunately, when Ms B. ** telephone to give the results of her inquiry, I was unavailable. The voicemails are further proof of fraud. She continued her deception by using the name "Chanel **" and then Ms ** in her first voicemail. She said that it had been confirmed that Chanel ** quoted me a "bundled rate" of $146.96 per month that did not include taxes or fees.

I felt that Ms ** was being dishonest, but, at that time, I had no method to prove it. I tried again in December 2016, to rectify former injustices. But, Benita ** did not respond to any of my many voicemails to **. I made an official complaint in January 2017, which became Verizon Case **, handled by Tim ** of the Executive Relations Team. (I would later find out that he was not a team member of Executive Relations, and that he had given me a private email address, which meant that there may not be an official record of our email correspondences.)

Since Timothy ** led me to believe that he was a member of the Executive Relations Team, I asked for his help in resolving another, older problem -- I told Tim ** that I was previously, deceitfully & wrongly removed from the "Essentials" FIOS package, and that I had repeatedly emailed Carlena ** alleging that she grossly mishandled my earlier problem. I wrote to Ms ** that I had retained all of the email correspondence showing that both she and other Verizon customer service reps had told me that it was impossible to be "grandfathered" back into any FIOS package.

I wrote Ms ** that Benita ** had easily "grandfathered" me back into the Prime HD package in October 2015. And since Benita ** did what she had said was impossible, I demanded a refund as well as restoration back to the Essentials FIOS package. Tim ** told me that Carlena ** had mishandled my earlier case. Mr. ** said Ms **'s supervisor would have had the authority to "grandfather" me back into the Essentials package. He said Ms ** should have simply asked her supervisor for assistance, and should have placed me back into the Essentials package.

When we begin discussing my case involving Benita **, Tim ** was ill prepared. Tim ** telephoned me before he interviewed his colleague, Benita **. He also later admitted that he never asked Benita ** why she used Chanel **'s name. Because of his oversight, he regularly & heatedly challenged my version of events and recollections of telephone conversations with Benita **. Fortunately, the replay of voicemails from 2015 confirmed my statements.

After three long telephone conversations, Tim ** freely admitted that his Verizon colleagues had committed serious and numerous errors that warranted an internal investigation, which "he would conduct." But, oddly, those serious mistakes did not justify a full refund of my money. On January 17th, he verbally offered a small monetary reimbursement package that he & his supervisor, Ms ** had devised. He admitted that he would not likely accept the offer if he were in my position. But he was adamant that Verizon would make no other offers. He told me that my only other option was small claims court.

I told Tim **, only after a written settlement offer was emailed to me, would I formally accept or decline his offer. Of course, Tim ** never sent the email with a written settlement offer. Tim ** had difficulty maintaining composure as we spoke. I had to constantly ask, "Why are you yelling at me?" Tim refused to transfer me to another individual when I complained about his aggressive & rude telephone manner. He refused to provide a telephone number, email address, or supervisor that would address my concerns about his behavior. He also told me that his supervisor, Ms **, declined my request to speak with her.

Refusing to speak again with Tim **, I called the Executive Relations office, and was transferred to a Verizon supervisor, Ms **. When Ms ** heard that I had a FCC complaint ticket number, I was given a new Verizon case number, **. The next day, when I asked to speak with Ms **, the receptionist told me that there was no one there by that name. I then spoke with a Ms **, who promised to refer the Benita ** matter to the legal department. After our first conversation, Ms ** never responded to any of my voicemails.

However, much to my dismay and regret, she subsequently decided to perjury herself in her 2017 February 21 letter to the FCC in defense of Verizon. Does Verizon have a fiduciary duty to control rogue employees? Fraud can be very profitable to Verizon. If Verizon can overcharge just 3 million of its over 100 million customers by $30 per month or its equivalent, then Verizon can steal over a BILLION dollars each year from its customers.

After a month of delays, Verizon finally arrived on 4/24 to install FIOS in my residence. The apartment building is already prewired so installation should not have taken more than 4 hours. After over 4 hours the installer could not activate the FIOS because someone in the central office failed to perform a simple task of "lighting up the hub", an operation which allows the installer to activate FIOS.

At 4:15 I was told it would take another 2 hrs at least to light up the hub. Installer promised he would call and return to activate FIOS. He never called or returned. When he left I had no phone, no TV and no Internet. Installer said if he didn't return Monday night he would be at my apartment first thing Tuesday morning. It is Tuesday morning and I have not heard anything from Verizon. I work from home and Verizon's extreme incompetence affects my ability to work efficiently. This level of incompetence is inexcusable. There should be a nationwide boycott of Verizon.

Verizon has managed to decrease their quality of customer service once again because they are requiring an addition $14.99 per month fee in order for their customers to have live chat assistance. A service all other companies provide free of charge to include Home Depot, Lowe's and many other online stores. I already pay a fee for customer service and support with my FIOS equipment, why should I pay an additional $14.99 per month for live chat. Considering how they treat their existing customer I think I need to rethink my choices to do business with Verizon. I don't recommend them.

DO NOT GET THIS FIOS service. You will be very disappointed. They get you on $400 Amazon coupon but it is a scam. You cannot buy this and that, just from their selected vendors. Speed of internet is a joke. It varies time of the day. If you are lucky you will get like 34 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. They claim 100 Mbps. Customer service suck like anything. No one knows what they are talking about. Get cable internet and save frustration. Oh the TV channels, SUCK, ALL local crappy shopping and NASA TV crap channels. Useless. They will ask you to upgrade to their premium channels for 70 buck, which suck as well.

Had a salesman in my house who made a pitch to myself and two adult sons, more and better service for dramatically less than Xfinity-Comcast. Installed last Monday, on phone for 45 minutes that night explaining that the channel selection was totally misrepresented. Person on phone said it would be corrected to correct package with a $10 increase. Next day received confirmation of changes with a $55 increase. Called Tuesday night and had another 45 minute phone call and was told that an "exception team" would review the phone conversation and honor that price and call back within 72 hours. No phone call.

Called tonight and was on the phone for another 45 minutes and was told that the previous two phone conversations meant nothing and they quoted me another higher price. They will not come and remove their equipment and reconnect Xfinity. Called Xfinity and they will be out on Monday to reconnect at no charge and also gave me a better package.

Made the biggest mistake of my life switching from Comcast to Fios. 1st, a man came to our house and duped me into signing-up with Verizon (bait and switch, don't get channels we liked with Comcast, was told we would get a DVR and Starz... didn't get Starz until I called- no compensation for not receiving what we paid for- then was told we have to pay for the DVR and Starz after a year- so much for that 2-year contract to freeze the price). 2nd, one of the remotes didn't work and had to wait a week for the replacement. 3rd, TV 's wouldn't work, got a no cable connection error two weeks in a row (1st time it was working the next day, repair was canceled- MISTAKE- 2nd time we had to wait 2 days for repair- both times talking to a tech via phone was useless, kept insisting someone, dogs, moving men dislodged the cable).

4th, computer is no faster. 5th, problems when the iPad (is slow & screen would freeze or go black when streaming TV shows, now there's an error and after a few days they got back with how I can fix it with all this techy speak I don't understand). 6th, had Nomorobo with Comcast and never got calls (calls that came through would ring 2X and disconnect - unsolicited calls come through all day and night with Verizon even though I signed on with Nomorobo and listed them as the phone service).

Did we get any compensation for lousy/lack of service? Of course not. Will we have to pay to cancel the contract? You bet. Verizon is in a win/win situation... you pay if you have them and pay to get rid of them... it's all about the money with them. Can't wait to have Comcast re-installed and not have to deal with this incompetent corporation.

Tried 3 times to get someone to come out. Then when they did the guy was so dumb he could not install the internet or TV. Told him to leave! Then got a bill for $187. Taking them to court over that!!! I am telling everyone I meet how bad they are!!!

General Hospital is my favorite show, the only one I follow, and the reason I pay for cable. Over 10 times my show has been interrupted by Trump or some News story I don't care about, normally at the most Crucial episodes that the story has been building up to for months. When I try to watch the show through Fios, they charge me $3.99 for the H.D. channel that I already am paying for. I've already had to pay over $40 in just the past few months. I've contacted them to see if they can adjust the charges but they Refuse! How can they DOUBLE CHARGE me for the Same Channel/Show that I PAY for???

Also, previously, it took them well over 3 years to get tech. assistance to our home as we couldn't even see channels because of bad reception! They found that we had outdated box in our basement after all of the many times we reported issues, but they had just made us powercycle, reboot, and hours worth of troubleshooting that never solved anything. The current issue though, they made me call ABC, ABC made me call WTAE News 4, their affiliate, and News 4 said it is completely up to FIOS to handle this issue, so again at square one. I know many others facing the Exact Same issue since Fios doesn't allow us to view missed shows that we paid for, that they interrupted. Fios is our only option here though. I really would appreciate a resolution...

Terrible and a complete ripoff. They tell you that you will get a $150 but it's just a scam. They advertised Triple Play for $79 but by the time they come to install that $79 becomes $125-130. They advertise 150Mbps but that wifi is very slow and very sketchy even though they made me pay for their own modem $12/month and all other charges. When you try to call customers service they put you on hold for 15-20 mins and then the person picking up will tell you, "Oh! I have to transfer you somewhere else and put you on another hold, I am not dealing with that. I just answer the phone."

I chose Verizon because it used to have phone company level reliability. Recently they decided to switch everyone's email to AOL. I called support for this and they walked me through the process. They caused the email account to no longer work on my computer. After trying to fix it for an hour, the support person said a level 2 person would call me in half an hour. That was about 6 hours ago... Verizon is not what it used to be and I advise anyone shopping for internet, TV or phone service to look elsewhere.

I have had Verizon telephone service for both my medical practice and my home for decades. For years I have remained a loyal customer. Recently, I have been so mistreated by Verizon that I will be closing my account and switching providers. My medical practice phones were on copper lines. The phone system in my office was changed to a VoIP system. I decided to stay loyal to Verizon and have my Verizon phone forwarded to the VoIP system.

This small forwarding took me 12 hours to accomplish. Multiple phone calls to Verizon customer support where I was given any number of excuses for why my phones were not forwarded correctly. During this time, my patients, hospitals, and other doctors could not reach me. The excuses offered included the order was not put in the system correctly, it was the fault of my internal phones, and finally, that the order had been put in the system incorrectly with a "1" in front of the phone number and a "1" was not needed! 12 hours to solve this problem.

I was then advised to switch from copper to Fios as the copper was going to be phased out. Knowing that they cut off our phone service in our apartment when the building was converted to Fios, I decided I should switch the business phones to Fios so I would not suddenly lose phone service. What a disaster. It turns out that, first of all, they cut off your copper immediately. That "order" is put through immediately. The "order" to start your Fios service, on the other hand, takes all business day to complete. So we were without phones all day. Not one person informed me this would happen, which would have allowed me make appropriate arrangements. So after having no phones all day, I find out the next day that Fios cannot immediately transfer calls, so when a patient calls, they hear 2 rings followed by a long pause. During this pause, it seems like the phone call has been disconnected, so of course, they hang up.

Verizon cannot fix this and did not inform me this would happen. They are completely cavalier about the fact that my patients cannot reach me. I am canceling my business phones immediately and converting to Momentum VoIP and will be canceling my residential service as well. I highly urge you to avoid Verizon at all costs. Incompetent, unable to solve problems, unable/unwilling to advise customers as to the best solutions for their business. Extremely annoying - each time I called in with a technical problem - phones not working! They tried to sell me more services. When the service I had did have was not working. Unbelievable. This will be a very costly 2 weeks for my business and potentially dangerous for my patients. Needless to say, exhausting experience.

We signed up for a two year contract for the TV and internet bundle. Not only did we not receive the correct equipment (which we eventually got), the price was not what we were promised. After making lots of phone calls to the company, we thought the issue had been resolved. Fast forward to almost a year later and all of a sudden our bills start increasing for no apparent reason. Again, another phone call, to be told "your promotions" are ending. First of all "they apparently applied these to fix the initial problem and price we had agreed on. What is the point of signing up for a two year contract if that price isn't fixed.

We feel as though Fios Verizon is a total scam and no one is able to give any answers. So our bill has basically increased by almost $60 extra per month, how is that OK, when we were supposedly locked in for two years for a bill that was $60 less a month than what we are now being charged. They are deceiving customers and we will never use them again after this contract (if you can even call it that anymore) ends. We only noticed the increase since it is taken off our credit card each month. It seems like we aren't the only ones this has happened to but if my review can assist others in making a decision when choosing a provider, then at least that will be one less person they can scam.

There is a huge 12V battery back-up system (GT12080-HG) provided with Fios. The battery has failed within the 3 years that GS claims as its warrantied life. GS has a 3 year warranty, but that is void as the battery was provided by Verizon. Verizon reduces its warranty on the resupply of the battery to 1 year. Verizon wants $50 to replace the battery and again offer the shortened 1 year warranty. Online Amazon you can buy it for $30. GS confirms that the Verizon supplied battery is the same battery that they sell direct, just that Verizon has a deal with them to shorten the warranty. It puts the failure cost on the consumer, and the policy sucks. Nice job GS Battery and Verizon.

We were looking for a cheaper plan to get cable. After researching, we decided to go with Verizon Fios, because they were offering a plan for $115 a month for 2 years. Well, it was a horrible decision! First of all, when you have an issue and call Verizon Fios, customer service is the worse you can get. You hear different responses and people are so rude to you. Second, we have an issue where our screen pictures freezes for a few seconds and the problem is getting worse. Different technicians came out at least 4 times and the issue is still there. Of course they wanted to charge us extra to fix it (even though is Verizon's mistake, not ours), so we had to spend HOURS on the phone trying to reach someone that would be willing to help us.

My husband is on the phone with Verizon as we speak, for at least 1 hour now, still trying to resolve the issue. And I must add, the promise of $120 a month was a lie, they include many taxes to your bill and charge you more. If you are reading this, please do not trust Verizon. Give your business to another company. We have Verizon cell phones and cable, but we will be switching very soon. Verizon is not a trustworthy company and don't value their customers at all!

I asked the chat rep about internet services and what they offer under 79.99. He was very rude to me. Told me he could not help me and I has to call in. I explained to him I was at work and just wanted to know about pricing because I wanted to switch from Comcast and he continued to be extremely. He made me change my mind about signing up for any services with Verizon!! SO many spelling errors and just very unprofessional. Never again!

I have been in the IT field for over 30 years and I called customer support for assistance in setting up dsl for my sister not realizing I didn't have an adapter that is needed to setup the dsl. I called customer support 6 times and each time I got a tech that knew nothing about setting up the dsl. I was transferred 12 diff times during this process only to have to set up an appointment that gave me very little options. I took pics of my setup and realized the adapter was not one of the items you send in the mail. The service call was scheduled for 8 - 5PM with no assurance of not having to wait an entire day almost to wait for an technician. You guys have to do better. I got off work and returned home at 10PM and went thru this til 1AM. I currently have dsl and as soon as I can get something else I will. You have lost another customer, including my sister.

I never imagined there could be such bad service exist in a big US company. I had Verizon FIOS for many years. In December 2016 I responded to a pretty ad mailed to my home and ordered a "Triple Play Bundle" and was promised for about $120 a month with a two year price guarantee. I was told a service person would come Jan 20, 2017, between 8 AM and 5 PM. I stayed at home the whole day, no one comes. Called again next day and got a new appointment. Again, nobody comes, no phone call, nothing. Then another date was set and I waited a whole day for nothing.

Finally, someone come on the 5th appointment, three months after I placed the order. But the story does not end there. In my first bill, I am charged $242 a month, double what I was told. Called customer service, no use. They say there are supposed to be discounts but they cannot be applied to my account. Why? I was promised for $120. It is my responsibility to apply discounts? How?

First came home and services were discontinued. Called in and they told me to pay $135 to put the services back on. Which was done on 3/2. 3 Days later my services was cut off again and told me some bs and I had to pay 75 but had to do payment arrangement and pay another 75 by 4/2. So today 3/22 we come home and our services is shut off. The first guy we talked to Ishmeal was so rude all he would say is "ok but that's not on your account". He finally told us we could pay 71$ and it would turn on. No we weren't paying after 30 mins begging him to transfer us he did not. A even more rude women. Maria. She said she would pull calls this and that but who cares if we were mislead 2x we still had to pay 100 today. Not one time did she say sorry or offer ANY type of credit! They're horrible and just don't care how they speak to their customers. People that are paying them! Never again.

A technician came to my home to install cable and internet. While running the needed wires, the technician proceeded to drill 4 holes in the middle of my walls without informing me. The holes were in the center of my walls in my living rooms. The technician did not discuss how he will run the wires nor if it was ok to start drilling. The holes were very large and directly visible to anyone in the room. Considering I already had cable wires installed along my floorboard, I had no idea he was going to alter my home at all. He also drilled holes within my closet which dirtied all my coats and shoes - full of drywall. He did not ask to do this. I could have easily removed my clothing and shoes.

I asked him why is he doing this, he said, he had no response. I feel that he was just being lazy and the most inconsiderate person. He had no respect for my brand new home nor my items that were damaged. I called Verizon Fios and complained 5 times. Each time the representative informed he that his manager will call me and have some money compensation in order to repair the damaged walls. No one has ever called me - the wait time on the phone is over an hour each time. There is no way to file a formal complaint with the company. I had to call my painter to dry wall all the holes and repaint over them - $300.

I signed up for Verizon Fios in September of 2016, and it has been a disaster since after the installation. What was promised to me over the phone was not delivered in my package. After reaching out, I was told by customer service that the best they could do was offer me a trial to Epix, even though the package I paid for should have included Epix and Stars. With so many other TV options, I decided to disconnect Fios TV and just keep the internet.

Most recently, the company took a scheduled payment for April 1st out of my account early, and would not refund the money because they claimed I still had a balance. I was told 3 different things by 3 different people in customer service. Verizon is a scam and not worth the money or the headache. I will purchase internet through a smaller more affordable service, and use streaming TV as I have been to offset the ridiculous charges and fees.

One year into a two year contract we woke to find our phone line dead. This was happening when all the strikes were taking place within Verizon. We gave it a few days and things got worse when our TV and internet were shut off without any notification or reason. This happened even though our account was paid in full. Wanting service again as well as answers, my wife called 3 different times before someone was willing or able to help. The rep managed to get the TV and internet active again but were not able to get the phone number back. They reduced our triple play to a double play but still cost us the same monthly price for the remainder of the 12 months! After another 5 calls to 5 different reps taking 11 hours of total time (no BS!), we were still unable to get our home phone back and gave up as frustrated as anyone could imagine.

No one we spoke to could offer a reasonable answer as to why all this happened and no one was willing to make things right. Can you imagine how frustrating this was? Fast forward to the last few weeks of our contract and I gave Verizon a phone call again. Kenneth ** was at first very helpful and understanding. Unfortunately things went downhill from there AGAIN from lack of communication and in the end, unwillingness to help a frustrated customer. He said that if we pay another $40 we would get our phone line back.

In the end we never used the phone line (which had a different phone number associated to it from our existing one) yet our account was charged. So not only did we have no triple play for twelve months while still paying for a triple play, we were also charged an additional $40 in the last month of the contract. Unfair to the consumer which is why I'm writing my first ever complaint on the Consumer Affairs Website. Rest assured I will be going with Comcast. They can't be any worse than this??!... One would hope!

Verizon sent FIOS equipment to my address via UPS with a fraudulent “To” name. It was incumbent on us to inform UPS to come and pick up the equipment. The packages Sat on our front porch almost a week before they were picked up. Subsequently, our Verizon phone line was accidentally cut during one of the numerous FIOS digging sessions in my front yard over the past two years. The Verizon solution was to install a line around my house across my lawn. We complained about the incomplete work.

Two weeks later we cancelled our Verizon phone line after over 20 years. We were told we were due a refund, but in fact received an additional bill. One week later, a Verizon representative approached inquiring if we wanted FIOS installation. We declined, and the best part was he removed the cable from my yard. Final note over a year ago we had everything removed from our phone except basic service which reduced our bill to $48. Our Verizon bills slowly increased and our last regular bill was $69. Good riddance Verizon!

Verizon FIOS has the WORST customer service dept and billing dept I have ever dealt with in my life! I had my cable cut off because of personal reasons (in hospital for 6 weeks) and had my sister even call to let them know what was going on. Anyways, I called to see exactly what I owed so I could get TV and Internet back on. Then went to FIOS store and paid in cash to get the acct current. Then service was restored. I went on demand to get a movie and it wouldn't let me. I called FIOS and they told me I did not pay the outstanding balance (which was on the acct clearly).

To make a really long story short, I spoke with 5 different FIOS reps in various departments and I was told that each one of them did not know what they were telling me and didn't give me the correct information! Seriously, all 5 couldn't tell me that my account balance wasn't correct?! The last 2 agents I spoke with had the worst attitudes I have ever had to deal with! I was told that my services were going to be shut off again if I didn't pay another $116.00. I just don't get it. They want your money but they think awful customer service is going to keep customers. I really don't think so! FIOS apparently doesn't need customers and I will definitely find another company and will leave FIOS and never give them my business again! The most rude customer service and billing department (including the supervisor (ERICA) that I have ever had to deal with!

Verizon FIOS illegally trespassed on my property and installed two boxes, wiring, ugly black duct tape, and associated equipment on my end unit, privately owned townhouse wall. They damaged my siding by screwing into my wall. They must remove their equipment immediately and cure the damage to home wall and landscaping. I have no contract or service with FIOS. Perhaps they installed illegally for neighbors. This is an irresponsible action for a large corporation. I have not been able to get through to anyone at Verizon FIOS online or by telephone to resolve their inappropriate activities.

I have been over charged time and again. They are always tacking on fees. My bill is never what it should be each month. The last 2 months, first bill was over $300, next month almost $200. I have the cheapest I can get. They are always charging for overages and I hardly use it. There is unfortunately no way to monitor this service. This company is a rip off.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.
  • Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.
  • Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.
  • Best for Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Compare Internet Service Providers