Verizon Fios

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called to setup FIOS at a new property. There's an online only deal to waive $90 setup fee and get $10 off per month. The representative on the phone said that there was no need to start over online, she would just apply the discount. I get my bill after a couple of months and there's a $90 fee so I call. They tell me that they see the $10 per month, but the representative didn't write anything about the $90, so they won't honor it! I argue with the person and their manager for 45 minutes. They offer to give me $45 off. I try to explain to them that it's a matter of principle and they need to wipe off the full fee. The $90 off deal is still going on!! No luck, just unsympathetic, mean customer service.

They explain that I'm out of luck, I signed a contract to pay them $230 if I want to cancel, but I can't hold them to their word. Well, the jokes on them, I have FIOS at multiple rental properties and a 6 person family plan, everything out of contract. So for their $45, they lose over $500 per month. Get yourself together Verizon! You've lost a loyal customer of over 10 years, and thousands of dollars over $45. Was it worth it?

I ordered Verizon DSL in Upper Marlboro Md in March and never connected it because, when I attempted to install it, the tech support informed me that the service offered in my area would not be sufficient for my needs. (I told him about my work requirements.) He told me to return the equipment, which I did, and that the service was immediately canceled. It was not. When I received the first bill, I called, and talked to customer service. They said it was straightened out and that I should not receive further bills. That was not true. It is July and I am still being billed with threats of "collection action." With each bill, I have called and spoken to supervisors who say there will be no more bills. The bills keep coming. Right now I am one hold with Verizon (28 minutes so far) waiting to talk to another representative.

I received promo mail to sign up for Fios, $39.99 (plus taxes & fees), with the $90. Setup fee waived if you signed up online. I called to find out what the taxes and fees would amount to. I found out it would be $10 + tax for the modem. I went online to sign up. I was interrupted by a chat box, requesting I stop filling out the online form, asking if a Verizon rep can call me. I informed them, I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, I am online in order to avoid the $90 setup fee. They tell me it will be waived, and tell me I cannot signup online in my area anyway. I took a screenshot of this lie. They will have someone call me.

I get a call from a man. I give him my information, I tell him how I wanted to sign up online to avoid the $90 fee, but was interrupted by a chat, redirecting me to him; excusing me from the fee. He runs my credit report. Then he says, "You're all set to schedule your service date, and we will need to know how you would like to pay for the $90 setup fee." Immediately I tell him what I think of this, how it is underhanded, etc. He takes a condescending tone, "Ma'am you said you were told there is no service in your area for requesting service online, so, you can either follow through with Fios, or keep the service you have." I say, "You tell me this after you ran my credit report?! I told you exactly how I understood things." He says, "Ma'am, I am not here to argue with you. I don't make the rules. You can pay the $90 or you can take your business elsewhere, no one is going to waive the fee, and you can't sign up online in your area."

"I want to speak to your supervisor." I am on hold for 10 minutes, then disconnected. During the call, he took down 2 contact numbers for me, neither rang all night after the call dropped. I called back. I was connected with Brandon. I explained the situation. He was confused as to why I wouldn't be able to order online. I was able to. They were catching people before they signed themselves up. For some reason, the guy in the call center was hell bent on not honoring the waiving of the fee for me. Brandon apologized for the sales guy... I did not take down that guy's name. He was working on 7/7/17 at 8 PM EST. From my phone number from about 8:08 - 8:28.

I was a long time customer of Verizon FIOS, internet and TV, I think around 12 to 15 years, my account number **. I have called in December of last year 2016 to inform Verizon that I am moving in January or February next year so my account will be closed, spoke with Tom ** who suggested that I UPGRADE to faster internet speeds and more movie choices. Since I have 2 more months to go, it's a long time to go so why not he suggested. But I don't use much internet and don't watch much movies, so I have declined but those guys are well trained. He insisted and tried every trick in the book to make me accept his offer. So I did. I said that this will involve another CONTRACT for 2 years so I don't need it. BUT TOM ASSURED me that Verizon stop using contracts and only operate on month to month basis. Stupid me I BELIEVED him.

In Feb I called Verizon to disconnect services. I was told that I am BREAKING CONTRACT so I will pay penalty!!! I TOLD THEM THE STORY TO NO AVAIL. I went to San Antonio, Texas, have a driver license to prove it and gave them my storage place address in Staten Island for any mail or bills to be paid by my parents. So guys stay away from Verizon, go to Time Warner, Satellite DirecTV or the new company Spectrum, anything!!! Stay away from VERIZON!!! The rep will do anything to make a sale, shame on you Tom **!!! And Verizon took me to a collection agency since I refused to pay penalty for something I did not order. After all these years with them they took me to a collection agency, SHAME!!!

Verizon Fios is supposed to be a major cable provider with a satisfactory business model, this is not the case in my interactions with the company. After waiting 3 weeks for installation, I chose the first time slot for installation. I had done some research comparing Cox vs Verizon, and had read some of the nightmares that were involved with Verizon's inability to do a timely installation but also got the feedback that the service was worth the one brutal day. Well the day was brutal, I chose the first time slot, and tech got there around 930 which was fine. The problem was that it took 5.5 hrs to hook up... granted there were some unforeseen issues with a certain type of 'snake' that was needed... but 5 hrs is 2 hrs too long even with those issues. That being said, I did not complain.

Problem now... they made me order and pay for a cable box stating that they could not bundle anything or give me a deal if I didn't pay the extra 10 dollars a month (... then they charged me 12 dollars a month... slick). After making me pay, they didn't hook it up correctly so I had no on demand and my remote didn't work. To fix this, a tedious 2 hour phone conversation with another pretty incompetent customer service rep. We're now going on close to 8 hrs of my time for them to 'install' the system which I paid $90 so I wouldn't have to do it myself... turns out I still had to do it.

When I requested that the installation fee be taken off for their inabilities, I was placed on the phone with a condescending, patronizing rude man named Osie. I work from 5am until 4pm 5 days a week in a hospital, and all my extra time is spent studying in the intense residency program I'm in... Now they are stealing 8 hrs of my time, and charging me for it. I then asked to speak to a manager and he placed me on hold so long I had to hang up. Another example of companies who don't care about their customers. I wish I didn't need internet for my studies, though I'll probably switch to COX when I can schedule out another 2 hour time slot to sit on hold with Verizon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

I am writing this letter after having spoken with the sales, billing, IT, help desk, and other Verizon departments to no avail about my Fios move/ installation. As a happy customer of Verizon since 2010 of Wireless AND Fios, I have never experienced an issue with you until now. I recently moved to my significant other's home which carried Fios internet and cable. I placed the order over the phone with a technician and explained the entire process. I will be moving and bringing my service and disconnecting the existing service in the home. I was told the triple play package provided us with the best deal with the most price breaks. I called several times to check to see if there was further action that would be needed prior to the cutover. I was told there was no action that needed to take place and that the existing service could be canceled as long as we showed proof of residency.

However, on the day of the move, we were left without internet, cable, or phone. I called Verizon for an update on June 30th the date of the scheduled install and after speaking to various departments for over 3 hours, I was told there was a glitch in the system and my order couldn't be processed. I was told that a new order had to be placed and that I would receive a call in the morning. Immediate assistance was to be given due to the trouble I was experiencing - no fault of my own.

Saturday July 1st I never received a phone call that day. I called your company back at 3 o'clock and was told my ticket would be escalated to a supervisor who never called. Sunday the company was closed. I called first thing Monday morning and was given a date of July 4th installation. I checked the Verizon website and my date changed to the 5th. So I spent another 3 hours on the phone with a technician only to be told the existing service had to be canceled in order for the new service to take place. My order date was still in limbo. I have email confirmation for the 4th yet I am being told the 5th. The prior owner called and service was cut off immediately. I was told by the technician that she had to go to lunch and that she would have to call me back in an hour per law. Today, we are still without any services.

I am exhausted. I have spent more time with you and your staff than ever before in my life about something that should not be so trivial. I am having to take days off of work for something that was not my error. I did everything in my power to avoid this. I am being told the only thing that can be done is 10 dollars off my bill??? For a loyal customer of 7 years I expect more from the great Verizon that I know. On top of that, the amount of frustration is causing me hesitation and to possibly switch cable providers and cell phone coverage ($300-$400 a month).

Verizon Fios stole money out of my bank account. When I called and tried to get my money back, even with a payment arrangement confirmation number stating the day they were supposed to take payment, I was told nobody could help reverse the bank account. Do not trust their automatic system!!! They are thieves with their prices in the first place but to top it off, they take unauthorized money on days you did not agree to. I switched immediately and I recommend you do too if you have this service! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY EVER!!! Rude customer service people, thieving and prices are much higher than every other cable provider.

If I had option to rate them, it would be zero stars. Whatever Verizon offers on their website and send you through email and regular mail, they do not honor it. They entice customers with false advertisement hoping that they will trap you in a contract. The advertised Internet speeds are not available in the area (a very common answer) plus fees and taxes that are skyrocketing. I was told that on a package of $94.99 these fees and taxes were almost $62.

This has been an ongoing battle of calling customer service being on hold for hours with no results. I was told when switching to Verizon Fios what channels would be included with my package and how much it would cost with no activation fees. After my first billing cycle my bill was $70 more than mentioned as well as no channels which were supposed to be included. The representatives which I spoke to corrected the issue with the channels however still charged me activation fee each month!!! Spent about 5 hours total with representatives and supervisors and they state there is nothing they can do. On top of that there is a Verizon Fios pole about to fall onto my house. I've been calling about four months with no solid answer when it will get repaired or replaced. My neighbor has been calling as well. This is crazy! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Verizon requires you have a phone, then connected my phone that I didn't need and charges me 19.99 for the phone for a month and then charges 29.99 install fee and 2 weeks later I get the internet that is slower than a snail and is off more than it's on. Shop very carefully before you choose Verizon.

Very disgusted and disappointed with Verizon Fios service and practices. We went into a two year contract with Verizon Triple Play at $89.99 per month, as advertised for a custom HD package. However, after a year of service, Verizon changed its offering and could no longer support their offering. My basic bundle price jumped to $139.99/month + equipment + fees and taxes. I was obviously unhappy and spent several hours on the phone with C/S and C/S supervisors to resolve the matter. Finally, a supervisor understood that Verizon was unable to keep up the service package offering on which the contract was based, so I could terminate my contract without any early termination fees.

C/S supervisor (I have the name and employees ID#) confirmed to me that I could terminate the 2-year contract with no early termination fees (He stated that he put this into my account notes as this is the process Verizon follows). I had not done my research and was traveling during the next few months, so did not have time to cancel and find a new service provider immediately. On a subsequent call with C/S and a C/S supervisor, I confirmed that I could terminate without an early termination fee (and this was stated in the notes on my account). This was confirmed by both C/S rep & the supervisor. I have complete documentation with date, time of call, employee name and employee ID #.

When I actually terminated the service as of yesterday, Verizon has charged me an early termination fee. I feel cheated and disappointed with their service. Billing personnel will not listen, and speaking to three different supervisors has not changed that. C/S could not resolve the matter and would not escalate to a Manager. When I insisted to be connected to a department head I was told that I could send in a written complaint to the Verizon Box Office address in Trenton. No person or name was provided.

I am thoroughly disappointed with Verizon's C/S and billing service (it is difficult to understand what you are being charged for and the amount changes every month). Their billing practices are a ploy to rip the customer. They change their contracted service offering but hold the customer accountable for terminating the contract. If a contract is between two parties then both must keep up their end of it. Why is the customer tied for two years when they fail to provide the promised service? ConsumerAffairs should review their practices. I am happy to share my account number, emails from Verizon and my detailed handwritten notes of my communication with Verizon personnel - including date, time and in many cases employee ID of person spoken with.

I learned today that retaining customers for Verizon is unimportant and they would rather focus on getting new customers. Wanted to downgrade my plan from triple play to just internet after being a valuable customer for so long since my needs have changed, little did I know existing customers have to pay $64.99 and sign up for a 2-year contract yet new customers get the same deal for $39.99 without a contract.

What kind of business practice is this? If you guys don't care about your customers, say so upfront so they don't waste even a minute with you. Clearly, I was wrong to go with Verizon in the first place let alone recommend it to all of my friends and family members. Thank you, Verizon, for screwing over an existing customer and making them go with Xfinity. PS. If you ever want a company where you plan to change your service depending on your needs. Stay away from Verizon.

We signed up for Fios after having Comcast for 19 years. So, first to the facts. We signed up for a bundle that gave us an internet speed of 900 download, 900 upload speeds. One of the other selling points was that the entire service was completely wireless and would be much better than Comcast television.

Tested over the first month, the best results I have gotten on our internet is 200 download, 20 upload. You read that right. Not 900/900, but 200/20. I was getting 280/15 at Comcast.

Also, our television tiles and pixelates constantly. I called Verizon and was told to "walk around the house and make sure the wires were tight". That was their literal suggestion. When I asked for a tech to come to the house, it was a 3 week wait. Nothing takes three weeks in Philadelphia. I asked to be transferred to cancel my service as typically, a retention department does a much better job at customer service. I was then told that my speeds were low because I'm using WiFi (if your speeds are 200 over 20 on WiFi, advertise that) or because I probably have a cheap computer. I am typing on an Alienware 17 right now, hardly cheap at a whopping $5,300. Extremely condescending.

It got worse. When asked where I would turn to for internet or television, I told them that I had already purchased and programmed a Fire Stick and would just get RCN cable (a cheap provider here that is half the cost of Verizon) and the woman laughed and said, "Good luck with the wires and crappy internet service". Their RETENTION DEPARTMENT said this. The call was recorded. I called back in, a supervisor "handled the situation" and offered us an upgrade for two years without contract. I cancelled anyway. Most egotistical company I've ever dealt with. They make Comcast look good.

**: Under this order number the agent told me they will not run my credit report, and I need to verify some public security question to confirm that me, someone they got hold my SSN number and went and RAN my report. Now I have new inquiry on my repost, they say, "Sorry it's too late," so I canceled my order. Never trust Verizon again, they just lost one sale. LIED to people to get sale.

Verizon really needs to reevaluate the door to door sales program. I live in Maryland where these 12 year old look-alikes knock on your door two to three times a month to tell you how good Verizon's products are and why your current service sucks, their exact words. Today the 12 year old look-alikes were around again, I told them behind a closed door we weren't interested. They started by saying things like we have pizza and were selling girl scout cookies. Very immature salesmen Verizon is hiring. I hope Verizon continues to do stupid things like this that puts them out of business. The next time they show up, the cops will be called. Verizon hire more professional employees and stop your door to door sales tactics. We have internet now.

Recently, I had Verizon Fios installed at my house with the Triple Play Bundle. Since I was a returning customer, I shouldn't have to pay any installation charges. Yet, they made me pay installation charges of $90.00 ($45.00 for two months). After debating about the installation charges, Verizon agreed to remove the $45.00 charge for the first month. Then, after one hour, a problem occurred with the internet connection. I just talked to them about installation charges over the phone for half an hour. Now, I had to talk to them about this technical issue. So, they fixed that problem, however not efficiently because the problem still occurred.

The next problem came from their Billing Department. I signed up for a two-year contract, so I could get two years of price guarantee, but when I reviewed my bill, I saw that my price was going to be increased in one year. Therefore, the question is "if you are getting a two-year contract with price guarantee, then why do they increase the price within one year?" This is not fair for the customer. I had to call them again for this issue which was even more time consuming. After a long conversation, nothing was resolved about the price increase issue. I had to cancel my order within 15 days. On my final bill, they made me pay the full bill even though I used their service for only 15 days. So, if you are trying to get Verizon Fios be prepared for all of this trouble with their service. In addition, many of my family members and friends also had a similar issue with Verizon FIOS and later they had to cancel their service.

When I first started with Fios... I had nothing but praises. Verizon Fios was the best thing going. I have been with Verizon for eight years plus. I never thought the service would go downhill to where I am ready to pay the fee to cancel. My remotes stop working... the first time they stopped, Verizon provided new remotes. The second time, they wanted to charge me 15 to 20 dollars per remote to replace. Email Address Change: Due to all the spam I was getting, and after following guidance from Verizon, I decided it was time for to change my email address. Verizon is the first company I have dealt with that REFUSES to change an email address. When I go to pay my bill I have to go through a long and drawn out process to pay my bill online. BTW, I am the only one on this account.

I purchase a range extender (100 dollars) to boost my signal in my house, the signal is no better than I had before the purchase. When I signed up for service in 2009 Verizon agreed to provide Fios TV and email service. Now Verizon has decided they no longer want to provide that. I had the choice of going to AOL (worthless) or using Yahoo or Gmail etc. Well as far as I am concerned, Verizon voided their contract and I should be able to cancel as they are not providing the service they agreed to!

On 14 June 2017, I called to find out what I needed to do to terminate the service. It took me over three hours to get a customer service rep. One simple question... what do I need to do to cancel my service? I never got a response. After 10 to 15 min of this and still no answer, I ask for a supervisor. Waiting for a response, I tried to call back. Verizon called back and was told nobody is avail, but you will hear from us within 24 hours. If I could give Verizon a zero on the stars... I would. Bottom line... all the changes they do to help customers may be good, but internal policies should be changed. If I had a friend ask me about Fios, I would tell them to run away as fast as they can and avoid Verizon at all cost.

Four calls or chats - three hours time wasted. Trying to run a business and my internet is stuck on 3G. Went over on my data and you are punished by being switched to 3G. Four different service reps - four different excuses. Stay away from this company. I'm leaving asap.

Ordered high speed internet since my area does not support FIOS. The wireless modem came. On installation date, the technician even did not show up. I had to call customer service only to be told that they will not come over because of rain. Ok, I understand this is weather, but they just did not want to give a call beforehand for people who needed to leave work earlier to go home and open the door for the technician. The worst part is, the internet never worked! Internet light is off while the DSL light is blinking red.

I called tech support for like 5 times within 5 days (yes I had bugged them everyday). It is ridiculous that they told me all has something to do with an error in my order. I had been transferred to at least 3 different departments and no one could resolve it. Knowing this is going to be a gridlock and I will not be able to use internet for over 30 days if I keep fighting with them, I simply expressed my willingness to terminate the contract. Even the process of terminating the contract is so painful; they started the service on June 1 (though no service provided to me at all) so they insisted that I pay, which is so absurd and made them like a total SCAM! How could I pay anything that I never used? I am so done with VERIZON! Will not use any of their services unless they are the last carrier on this planet.

I had Comcast before a sales rep from Verizon knocked on my door. I was moving shortly and told the sales rep that I would probably wait to get Fios, which had better internet, until after I moved. She said that she would move me for free so that I only had the one time installation fee. So, I recently moved and when I called they told me there was a fee to install. Of course I was perplexed and angry. The person handling my call, conferenced called 2 different departments and within 20 minutes we had worked everything out. They found a creative solution so that I didn't get charged an additional $90. Finally good customer service from a communications company.

Verizon kept their promises and were nice the entire time. Comcast has never been nice and I know that they would have found a way to charge me more if I had called them. Ultimately, Verizon kept their promise. They lost $90 but they got a customer for life so they will be making far more than that over the life of my service. Being the "good guy" makes economic sense.

Verizon canceled my order, then claims that it was never in their system (even though I received emails from them confirming my order), then tries to sign me up for a bundle that I didn't ask for, for a price that was twice as much as the original order. I received a flyer from Verizon for a triple play deal for $50 for the first year. The deal sounded great, so I immediately called Verizon and placed an order. I received multiple confirmation emails with my order and the monthly payment amount. With taxes and rental fees, the total came out to about $87. I scheduled a time for them to come and install and setup the internet and TV, and they told me they would be shipping the routers and TV box.

About a week before they were supposed to come and set up, I got an email saying my order was canceled. There was nothing saying, "If you didn't want it to be canceled, call us". They just canceled it. I never asked for it to be canceled. I called them to see what's going on, but the Verizon lady was really pushy on placing an order for a package that was almost twice the amount I signed up for! I gave her the order number for the original deal, and she says it's not in their system. HOW IS IT NOT IN THEIR SYSTEM WHEN THEY JUST SENT ME AN EMAIL ABOUT IT?! I told her I didn't want the new deal, and that I would like to have the original deal stated on the flyer, but she would not do it for me. I understand if the $50 deal expired and it's no longer offered, but it's bad business to have a customer sign up, then cancel that order, then try to sign them up for something much more expensive. That's lying.

My wife and I moved together two and a half years ago and chose to try the Verizon Fios internet/TV bundle. We signed up a two-year contract which includes a FREE HBO subscription as a new customer gift. It was not essential to our daily use, but not bad to have since it's "FREE". At the very beginning, Verizon charged us some extra "installation fee" over 3 months which I didn't see in the original contract. The argument they had was that the total installation fee was divided into 3 installments, the "first-time installation fee" shown in the contract was only the first 1/3 of the fee. I felt cheated but decided not to argue with the poor customer service Verizon provided. The rest of the two years was OK, but...

When the two-year contract ended, that was this February, my wife and I were very busy with our work and didn't remember this date. After all, it has been TWO YEARS since we last time worried about our Internet/TV service. We were expecting some kind of notice from Verizon reminding us that our contract is about to end, and providing us further choices/deals. However, Verizon didn't call us, not even an email, but directly ended our contract and continued the service with a roughly 2X price, EVEN the "FREE" HBO subscription was continued and charged us $20+/month.

My wife and I are both casual with our bills so we didn't notice this until today. Verizon has been charging us 2X the price for more than 3 months! When we called them, they simply offered us another 2-year contract without the HBO subscription, but still more expensive than our original contract. I felt very disappointed in Verizon. I will definitely suggest my family and friends to keep away from this company.

I researched and asked "too many" questions before making the switch to FIOS and still got ripped off. I hate the customer service… They do not speak English well and don't resolve the problem. I have to get a tech to my house to answer a basic question. The remote control and TV menu interface is horribly confusing. I never got the premium bonus for signing up that was promised. When I called to have them remove that equipment I was informed that I was under contract and it would be $200 to break the contract. These guys are VERY SLICK!

As a subscriber to Verizon Fios for many, many years, our bill continued to climb and climb and we were paying over $250 per month for phone, internet (50/50), and TV which was ridiculous. We decided make a change. We called Verizon to get pricing for internet-only service. At that time, they quote us $59.99/mo to keep our same speed (50/50). Reasonable. So, we began the telephone number porting process to keep our same phone number with a new, less expensive, provider. The morning after the porting process was completed to the new provider, Verizon decided to TURN OFF our internet service without our consent. When we tried to connect to any website, a pop-up appeared on our browser claiming billing problems with our account which there were NONE. Our payment history is perfect and there were NO billing issues.

I immediately called their customer support. Their claim was that there was a billing problem reported on our account because of the number port so they 'temporarily' suspended our services WHAT??? They could not reconnect us immediately because they claimed "their system was down", however, they did reconnect us within two hours. Moving beyond that, I needed to cancel the phone and TV and keep the internet service as we had discussed with them about a month prior. HOWEVER, now the pricing went up substantially!! They went from quoting us $59.99 to $89.99 per month. They claimed that their pricing fluctuates and they cannot offer any discounts or loyalty deals.

Summary: As a consumer, they had no reason (or right?) to temporarily suspend our services just because we ported our number. Once we ported, the price for stand-alone internet went WAY UP! Coincidence? As a aside, their price for new customers for 50/50 stand-alone Internet is $39.99/mo. And, their price for *Gigabit* service is $69.99. Why is there such a price difference and why does their price fluctuate so much? I guess since they are, in effect, a monopoly on fast internet service in our area, they can really do what they want to do and don't truly care about customers in the least.

In getting this resolved I had to call them 5 times, was cut off twice (they are a phone company, right?) and was given a slightly different price from everyone I spoke to (even a supervisor). It was a frustrating day with Verizon. We are now looking for alternatives to Verizon and I sincerely hope we find one that will provide us with great service for a fair price. This is just one of many stories I have in dealing with them over the years. And now, with Title II classification going away, these internet providers are only going to get worse for the consumer. This is the first and only review I have written for anyone or any business. Thank you for reading.

On Monday 5/22/2017 I spoke to customer service to inquire why my account showed I had 4 boxes when I only had 3. The gentleman helped me resolve the issue and I ordered a new box and router. I verified with him when the technician would be coming to my home. My husband left work early on Tuesday to wait for the technician and no one showed. When we called Verizon back a Mrs. ** in the escalation team stated there was no order even though we had an email and basically called me a liar. I explained everything that was told to me and wanted me to pay $100 to send a new technician. She was very rude and not willing to acknowledge that Verizon made the mistake. It is always a fight when dealing with Verizon Fios and I don't recommend them to anyone.

I dropped Time Warner for Fios and the only difference is... I'm now under contract. Wifi worked great for about two weeks and now. Ugh! All I get is "reloading".

Our hotspot is faster than this... I finally called today and it turns out, if you have more than one Roku playing at the same time they fight for the signal. Ridiculous! That information would have came in handy when the tech asked what devices were going to be used. I made it clear, we had 1 computer and 3 Rokus... This is actually worse than Time Warner cable. I would love a refund and my disconnection fees waived. Actually... WE ALL DESERVE A REFUND AND $0 TERMINATION FEE.

Simply: Saleman promises contradicted by the "Fine print". Total "Gotcha" experience. No redress of legitimate grievances. Promised "No contract" and lower price than in Comcast. But then I was given a 2-year contract in order to get the lower price, which ended up being higher than Comcast due to hidden charges! Offered "Free" promotions with false promise, which after a month or two turned into charges on my bill. Already all channels are loaded with commercials (The lineup is very poor) but then on top of that, Verizon popups to buy/rent movies interrupt continually when you press the "Guide" button when watching TV. Speeds are no faster than Comcast which was promised.

About a week ago I had change my internet service to Verizon. The tech came out and install the services. Before he left, he pointed to the phone jack, "This is one you will be using." The next day after I find my phone that I had used in my previous resident, I couldn't hook up the phone because the hole was round instead of rectangle shape. I call Verizon thinking I need a newer jack, because this is old house with old jack. I was informed that it cost $95.00 to have the jack replaced. I had no choice if I wanted to use the phone service I was paying for, so I agree to it.

Another tech came today (Wednesday, May 17). I explain the situation. He tested the jack to make sure that the signal was coming in. He pointed out that there was another outlet on side of jack and this is where it sure be plug in. Sure, enough the phone at work after he plug into the right hole. I call Verizon and complain that is not worth $95.00. He was only here about two minutes and really didn't do any work. I was told that it was standard charge of $95.00 when a tech comes out. Also, he said that I was luckily that I was not charge for installation. I said that was part of promotion. I told the representative if I had to paid for the installation, I would not change cable company.

I offer to pay half of the charge for the tech to come out for his time (whole two minutes) and his gas, which would be $47.50, but $95.00 was too excessive. (I still like that $47.50 was still too much.) The supervisor refused to reduce the fee. Also, I told him that I had tried to watch a movie the previous night (Tuesday, May 16th), but the movie keep on faded in and out, and I wasn't able to watch the movie. I told him that I hate dealing with any cable company, because they rope customers in and then start tacking on cost for this and that. If it wasn't for the internet, I would not deal with any cable company. Another thing, I received an e-mail stated that my monthly bill will be $109.78, but my first bill, which is for May, was $116.43.

I called Verizon in December 2016 and asked to have my services disconnected and I sent their equipment to them. My monthly payment was at $129.59. In January 02/26/2017, I paid the last bill of $271.93 which included early disconnection fee. I knew the total was more than I should have paid, but I did not want to argue. As soon as they received my payment, they sent me an internet message, that my service was being connected back. I thought that was impossible since I sent all their equipment to them since December. To my surprise, they sent me another bill in March, totaling $211.48. I then called Verizon to question the bill. I was told that I did not cancel the internet service even though the router was returned to them since December. I was told that people do return their router and buy one from market and continue using their service.

I told them that I was paying $129.59 monthly with TV, phone, and internet and saw no reason why internet alone could be $211.48 monthly. I also requested them to give me a mailing address or fax number as to fax proof of my Optimum internet service. They told me outright that, they could not give me that information. This behavior shows that they are just too powerful to do anything they want. I call it stealing. You don't want me to show you proof that I have internet service from another provider. You demanding that I pay you for service that you did not provide.

If I could give zero stars I would. When I started calling about plans for my apartment they were very pushy saying why wouldn't I chose them, etc. When I chose them they set me up for service UNTIL MAY which was repeated multiple times during the conversation. We had problems getting the WIFI set up and they told us we had to wait at least a month. I called numerous times and of course got different people to speak with each time that was not helpful. When canceling my plan they charge me 200 because it was a two-year contract even though I HAD REPEATED TO NUMEROUS people that it was until May. EVEN MANAGERS. When I spoke to them. I would never recommended this company... and fun fact. Me and my family are all changing our plans for cellphones and television away from Verizon. Hope more people decide to switch too!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Another of the largest ISPs, Verizon supports its core mobile phone operations with fiber optic cable Internet. Verizon intends to expand coverage in existing locations, but is not expanding into new regions. Verizon has also sold its FiOS operations in a few states, including Texas, Florida and California.

• Price advantage: Verizon's biggest competitor is Comcast, so it strives to offer lower prices in markets where the two compete directly.
  • Fewer restrictions: In many markets, Verizon offers FiOS with no contract, so customers are not locked into their services.
  • Super fast ISP: PCMag.com has ranked FiOs as the fastest ISP provider 3 years in a row.
  • Best for Businesses and families interested in new fiber optic technology.

Compare Internet Service Providers