1.2/5 (41 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I wanted to sign up for FIOS. We are in New York and our building is ready for it. I called Verizon and they asked me for much of my personal information including my Social Security number. (My credit rating is 785) After about 20 minutes I was told I needed to talk to another representative. It took another 20 minutes and at least 4 more times for me to tell them my information including my SS number several more times. I was then told I needed to send them a copy of my US passport or other ID before they could send technician. (Was that because I have an accent?) I am a doctor and this was likely the most intrusive and insulting process I had to go through ever, just to get FIOS. I am happily staying with Spectrum who are much more considerate and have a better price.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I tried several times to get a new deal with FiOS for internet and TV on November 13th 2021 my equipment was returned and I am owed $79. I called. They said in the next billing cycle I would get a gift card rather than the money that they took out of my account. However it is now January 22nd 2022 and I still have not received my $79. I have however received multiple offers for new service from them. Oh, it's impossible to reach them on the telephone.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

On 1/10/2022 my Verizon FIOS Internet service stopped working. The cause of this outage and a subsequent outage were Verizon's fault. I know this because at the conclusion of both service calls I asked the Verizon technicians to describe the problem and the resolution. The first outage was caused at a Verizon fiber wiring cabinet when a Verizon employee unplugged my fiber connection, and then plugged it into the wrong socket. This error left us without Internet connectivity for 4 days. The second outage happened 2 days later, and was also caused when a Verizon employee pinched or damaged my fiber cable when working in another Verizon fiber wiring cabinet. This error left us without Internet connectivity for another 3.5 days.

On 1/10/2022, the day of the outage, we received a link to a Verizon website for the purpose of troubleshooting the Verizon equipment in our home. These diagnostics concluded that an on-site visit by Verizon was required and sent us to a Verizon web page to schedule the service call. The earliest Verizon permitted us to schedule was on Thursday, 1/13/2022, 3 days from the date of the outage. We accepted that date and agreed to the appointment.

Between Monday and Thursday I made repeated posts to Verizon's support address on Twitter expressing our dyer need to have our Internet connection restored. But all of our pleas were ignored. When Thursday finally came, Verizon never showed up. When we contacted Verizon regarding our appointment, we were told that Verizon had no record of our appointment, even though we used Verizon's own resource to book that appointment. Verizon agreed to a new appointment for Friday, 1/14/2022. Our Internet connection was restored on Friday afternoon.

Two days later, Sunday, at around 10:00 AM, our Verizon FIOS Internet failed again. We contacted Verizon a second time. The best that Verizon claimed to be able to do was to schedule a new service call for Wednesday, 1/19/2022, 3 days from the second failure. On 1/19/2022 Verizon missed the appointment, showing up an hour late. Our Internet connection was restored about an hour after the Verizon technician arrived. In both cases it was Verizon themselves that caused the outage.

I have been a Systems Administrator for over 40 years. I hold several technical certifications including several computer networking certifications, which give me some insights into how a Fiber network functions, which makes it easy for me to communicate with the Verizon technicians. But I believe the most relevant certification I hold is the ITIL Foundation certification, which describes best practices for administering change, and is widely practiced by most technology and communications companies.

This is relevant as Verizon violated several ITIL disciplines, and in doing so, caused unnecessary financial hardship, mental anguish, and the inability to fulfill the responsibilities of my employment, while working remotely as required. Specifically, Verizon did not inform me, of its plans to perform maintenance on any equipment related to my Verizon FIOS Internet service. Verizon failed to provide;

* Intention to conduct maintenance/repairs
* Description of systems/devices to be maintained/repaired
* Date and start time for maintenance/repairs
* Expected duration of maintenance/repairs

* What customers should expect during the maintenance/repair duration Phone number/numbers to call for information relevant to the maintenance/repairs

Because of Verizon's repeated failures; We experienced 2 sudden Verizon FIOS Internet failures with no opportunity to prepare for the outage or institute other measures to maintain Internet access which caused; Work related issues including;

* Inability to monitor critical computers & networks and respond to problems
* Inability to meet with coworkers and clients
* Inability to process or submit customer proposals
* Inability to perform off-site backups of critical data

* Inability to send artwork to galleries and customers

Personal, Family & Home issues including;

* Inability to perform online banking and execute securities trading Inability to participate in remote learning
* Inability to submit grocery orders or schedule delivery services
* Inability to share time with family online

* Inability to activate/monitor home security devices

All of the above happened due to Verizon's repeated failures, and were made worse every day the outage continued because of Verizon's choice not to escalate the repair of the equipment that they, themselves, damaged. Verizon's products and the technology behind them are unquestionably first rate, but worth and value to the consumer are only important when it all works. My review describes how horrible things can get when Verizon itself fails.

Like many people, the past two years have meant having to adjust to countless pandemic restrictions. We work from home, shop from home, conduct medical appointments remotely. We bank from home, invest from home, perform various financial management tasks from home. We have Zoom calls with family, wondering when, or if, we’ll ever hold them in our arms again. All around the world, access to the Internet has become as necessary as electricity, water, food and heat. Verizon caused our outage, and left us to twist in the wind for 8 days.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

2.5 hours of my phone line, my time and my patience is not what I call customer service. Today I remained on the line in hope of speaking to someone, SOMEWHERE. I have started the process before but was not able to devote so much time to my problem so I hung up. I am not calling for service because I am an imbecile. I need help to correct a problem. No one cared how computer literate I am when signing me up. I want to speak to a technician. I want that person to lead me through prompts to fix my problem OR I want a rep to come to my home. I live in a city so I am sure they have qualified personnel nearby. I am now at 3 hours on a phone line listening to music that is not my taste. NO one has interrupted the wait to say I am still in the queue. But day I hang up and begin again? The computer in charge is smarter than your average computer; so will likely not report this experience. SO SAD!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I had signed up for Fios, but I have no Fios for my business, but regular copper wire service. The past years with multiple landline repairs, very slow internet speed. So after the 1st 2 years, I had requested to be removed from another 2 years contract, but to pay month by month. I don't want bondage, I am for liberty. When my wife was doing tax for my business and had found my phone bills gone up and called Verizon. She found that I was enrolled back into 2 years contract without my authorization. I was very unhappy and I didn't need a disrespectful "customer service" giving negative vibes and attitude. Sympathy is missing, but instead I got apathy and option of either cancelation with a near $800 fee or continue. The attitude of take it or leave it with a penalty fee.

I had signed out of 2 year contract not to be enrolled back without my approval. She said I had notifications, and it is too late to back out? Why enrolled people without them asking for it? What kind of sneaky business practice is this? Refusing have a manager to work out something like to get me my old rate without putting me into a 2 year contract, but month by month as an option without forcing me into a contract or penalize me with a cancelation fee. What evil Satanic business tactic practice. Disgusting. I am looking to get rid of this company. Disgusting!!! Disgusting customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I was charged $120 for wifi after cancelling my service two days into the next billing cycle which started Nov 8th. I cancelled Nov 10th & was never told that I would be charged for the whole month. I tried to call to resolve it & spoke with a manager but they didn’t care about me being a customer with them for over 10 years. I will never be a Verizon customer again. #TheftofServices

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

So basically I scheduled for a move, they cut off my service before the move date which was not disclosed. Tried to call and get it back on, nothing they could do Because it was a Sunday. Come Monday, 2.5 hrs on the phone just to get internet, phone and 1 box working. Needed to schedule a call back for later. They called back, and the guy I spoke with that morning, our notes in my file for the next person.

Well next person was an idiot and wanted to argue with me about everything, I already have my equipment. She said I needed to go pick stuff up. No. I don’t. I have everything. All you have to do is reconnect everything. Which then leads me to have to open up a whole new account causing me to have to spend more money because they messed up on the dates. Their service and communication between each other and notes supposedly put in a client's file clearly doesn’t happen, Verizon is the worst most frustrating service to deal with. Not to mention the cost and hidden fees. Absolutely absurd. I’ll be switching my service to anyone else besides them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I was a loyal customer with Verizon FiOS. Internet always paid on time until I canceled my service due to moving. And the guy told me, "No problem. You will be all set. Won't get any other charges", but what he failed to mention is that I WAS going to be charged for the last bill even though I canceled my account 4 weeks in advance!! I called to resolve this issue and they don't care they won't do anything won't even give you any credit they just want your money!! I will never ever deal with them!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

** Fios prematurely disconnected my service, charged early disconnection fees to my personal bank account, then charged EXPENSIVE FEES for nonreturn of their equipment all while my bank account goes into overdraft multiple times. I call and then get accused of violating my contract. I ask why. They hang up in my face. I call back, ask to speak with a manager, no one is available and have to put in for a 24hr callback. Weeks later no one calls back. I waste another afternoon and get called a "racist" and a "bigot" for taking an attitude with this garbage company!! 3 months later I still cannot get any information on how to return their equipment that I never wanted. I call back again for hope, and get an employee who puts me on hold for over an hour to speak with a manager. NEVER AGAIN WILL I CHOOSE Verizon FOR ANYTHING!!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been dealing with Verizon for about a month now after moving into my new apartment, and since then I have received the absolute worst customer service experience I have ever encountered in my life.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

My bitcoin account got hacked and the ip address ** from New York Queens is that one who did the hacking, I contact Verizon the ISP that the ip address is coming from to complain about this user using the internet service to hack accounts. Verizon has not replied back to none of my messages, I have also called and the support keeps telling me I need to call this department. Something needs to be down to these people who are using your internet to hack accounts

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I was paying high for the Verizon FIOS internet service so I decided to move. They have been charging me for the device for the past 7 years and giving very less speed, but was paying more compared to my neighbors. Their site or app won't work most of the times when we try to update our information. So I decided to close their service. I moved to a different service provider and then called Verizon to cancel my service. They are charging me for an additional month, since their efforts to retain did not work. Such a cheap company that offers a very bad customer service and swindling customers by making false claims. Their service or website/app doesn't work many times which makes us frustrated, when you have decided to move out. I feel like they are deliberately doing this to charge the customers more.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

My father passed away in 2020. Verizon Fios continued to auto bill and withdraw funds from his account after his death. Once that account was closed, they continued to bill for services and eventually sent these past due amounts to a collection agency for fees for an additional 6 months after his death. When I approached Verizon on all of this, Verizon politely informed me that there was nothing that they could do. In reality, they owe us for the services that we automatically removed from his account. God Bless Verizon.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

An agent from Verizon came to my door to sell me a home internet. On the internet installation date, two technicians came to install it. During the installation, they messed up our house electrical box causing damage to itself and damage to one of our bedroom's air conditioner. This occurred within 15 minutes after the technicians left my house.

My husband immediately called the main technician back and explained him the issue, we were scare we're going to catch a fire. The technician said he was coming to inspect the electrical box in the morning. The technician came next morning. He didn't want to fix our electrical box. I called Verizon and made a claim, Verizon sent the technician manager to inspect, he said they were not going to fix our electrical box neither the AC and he said he was going to talk with his boss to see what they can do about it. He never called back. We had to hired a private electrician and pay him to put something in the electrical box while we wait on Verizon to fix it. Verizon hasn't contacted me back yet. The electrician we hired confirmed to us that the electrical box was damaged by the Verizon technician.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was upset and perturbed when I got on the call with a customer service rep called Jay bc I had gone into specifically the Fios website about 2 weeks ago and PAUSED autopay bc I only had half of the bill owed...the IT dept never received the notif and I was deducted 120 dollars today which put my account (checking) into the negative and I was already late for an appt and decided to hurry home to take care.

Mr. Sam ** was so nice and explanatory and took care of the issue and refunded the monies and set up my new notifications and eased my worry about the account going into neg. He was pleasantly helpful and I hung up with a nice feeling of how they received my concern and handled it in a few minutes with no problem. Thanks to Mr. Sam ** who was the supervisor and also in future to call and ask for him if I needed. I highly recommend fios bc the other company I had been using wasn't as efficient and also more expensive than fios so a great thanks today and I won't worry about my checking acct now and will apparently receive the refund in only 2-3 biz days as opposed to the standard 7-14 days!! Wow thanks again Mr. **!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I want to review a Rep whose name was Mike at the Orange Plaza location in Middletown New York 10940. This man helped me tremendously with very little effort. He seemed very educated and comfortable with what he was doing and how he went about how he solved my issue. I would like to see more people like him.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I am writing this with serious disappointments. On Thursday the 09/30 I saw a technician from Verizon worked in my next door neighbor. Since then I lost my service (internet connection). And Friday the 10/01 I chatted with live agent for about 3 hours trying to fix this issue while I supposed be working. Unfortunately Nothing was fixed. But the agent set up a service for me on the 10/02. After the technician fixed my service on the 10/02 they screwed up my neighbor's service. And the same day we lose service again. Then I chatted and called the customer services. No one was able to help. Then a supervisor spoke to me, hang up on me before resolving the issue.

Then I call back again 10/04 Monday. After 3-4 hours in a call I was connected with a gentleman name Leonard who was able to figure out that the service was sold to the same exact address twice. Then he said he fixed it by making basement apartment 1 and 2. Which separates the address. Cause in the same address there is 2 basement apartment. And he set up the service again on the 10/06. Technician came fixed it about 4 hours later we lost the service again. Now exactly 6 Days we are out of service back and forth, where technician came 3 times fixed our service, and screwed up our neighbors service. When they came to fixed our neighbor's service they messed up our service. This is a joke. How Verizon's internal systems allows to sell service to same exact Address twice???

You guys came fixe the service this morning and it's now Out again. The router is yellow. This needs to resolve and credit me for 3 months free service because I have to go through this Non-Sense. In past 6 days I at least chatted for 8 hours and spoke to representatives, Supervisor, and manager for about 12-15 hours to fix a issue that I have nothing to do with. And I wasn't able to work in Friday the 1st. Me and my wife mostly work from home. It's really frustrating what is happening. I seek urgent attention of hire management to take this matter serious and fix the issue ASAP and courtesy credit me in the highest possible limit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

My bill is extremely high and I’m considering getting rid of cable and just using the internet to stream. The monthly rate is insane. A lot of people I know don’t have cable anymore just internet but even Verizon internet service is expensive.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I am glad they added weather channel back to the roster! Never really have any issues. If I do, just resetting the box top usually fixes it. Wish the price was a tad cheaper. I did have some discounts from work, but seems like one was revoked for some reason.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Verizon internet services is very reliable. When I travel I have no problems with the internet. No drop calls. It's very fast too. They are always ready to answer your questions regarding their service. It's a little pricey, but I love it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Wait for service is intolerable. They never come in the time period that was stated. Last time I had a problem, it took 3 trucks of technicians to solve it. Even then, it didn't work as well as it should. Wish I had another alternative for cable service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Verizon Fios is very reliable, making it worth the money. I have the 3 tier service (home phone, tv & internet) at a reasonable price that is less than the other area providers by about 25%. People tell me how much they're paying and I gawk! It's like they're being ripped off to me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Good quality internet as long as installed correctly data speed and quality of latency is good. The equipment that they provide is good however you can purchase the equipment instead of renting it which would save you money on the service itself because they charge a monthly rental fee otherwise. Verizon has won JD Power for Excellence for a few year in a row and in comparison to other providers that I have experienced, the service and quality of their product internet and tv quality is superior and they also offer more channels than other carriers. A lot of people may say it's just internet or just tv but when it comes to pricing but it matters where you getting what you pay for. Pay attention to the upload and and download speed that other providers offer. People believe that streaming is download only however, it all depends where you are getting your content and streaming from that decides.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

VERIZON Fios provides me with the fastest and reliable internet service. At times my office colleagues would complain that their services is down or they are getting intermittent service. My internet service with Verizon has always been reliable. I was so relieved not to have these challenges.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

This is the best cell service for the area we live in WNC because of all of the mountains surrounding our area of the mountains. We also use them for our WiFi in our motor home. I would highly recommend this company and the customer service is outstanding!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have been a customer of Verizon Fios for 8 years now. I can honestly say we have had very few if any issues. When I contact tech support the wait is usually minimal and the technician has been very knowledgeable and friendly. Would stay on the line till the issue was fixed. Verizon usually follows up the next day to ensure the problem was fixed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

This service is really good. Top notch. However the price is way too high. Other internet services are too high as well. So if we have to pay way too much we may as well pay for a top quality service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Never had an issue with my provider. My prices never went up. Very happy with the customer service. Will recommend them to all my family and friends. I have had them for 5 years+ and would not go to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Verizon is no longer user friendly! Their price plans are never great. Worse, they’re constantly trying to lure customers into expensive add-ons. God forbid you need to speak with a live person: trust me, don’t hold your breath!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

Verizon has pretty decent uninterrupted service but I believe they are the most expensive. They wanted to raise my bill $30.00. After 53 years I told them to cancel my landline service and my bill still went up $10.00. That's ridiculous!! Go Figure.

Verizon Fios Company Information