State Farm Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have filed 2-3 hail claims and have been denied each time even after the adjuster they sent out bent my gutter trying to get on the roof. My agent called last week wanting to come by to take pics and I explained the fat was locked and I could not take off work. Today I get the cancellation notice after paying premiums for 25+ years. Good riddance. There are better and more reputable companies out there.

After 40 years with State Farm, they dropped my homeowners insurance policy citing the dangerous swimming pool and lack of railings on my elevated porch. Unfortunately, the home does not have a swimming pool and has never had one. Additionally, there is no elevated front porch, just a concrete slab. After trying repeatedly to correct this, they continued to insist my swimming pool and porch were safety issues. How can they be issues if they don't exist?

S.F. CANCELS MY H/O's DUE TO ACT OF GOD!!! Rec'd my "non-renewal notice" yesterday, after 18 years with State Farm. We had wind damage in June 2016 from regional storms, resulting in roof damage. No other H/O claims. Since Apr. 2011 (lightning from a storm).

I have been a loyal State Farm customer for 23 years. Yesterday my agent informed me that State Farm would not renew my homeowner's policy because I had filed 2 claims in the last 6 years. One claim was due to a catastrophic event, a tornado, and the other claim was when a tree fell on our steel fence. I feel foolish that I stayed with State Farm out of loyalty all these years only to find out that the company does not extend that same loyalty to its customers.

I've stayed with State Farm since I was 18 and had my own vehicle to insure. I've never had an at-fault accident and had to file a claim against my own policy, I am now 34. During the summer of 2016, a negligent neighbor scratched the passenger side doors of my 4-door truck roughly 12 times. I went to my local agent and reported it in September 2016, provided all the information I had on the neighbor (name/address/make & model of vehicle/license plate) and started the claim, they were going to pursue the at-fault person for the damages.

I promptly received a call, requesting more detail about the damage/time frame. Then kept getting calls every 2 weeks, stating that the neighbor was not responding to mail or phone contact. It seemed he was not insured, so it sounded like a slam dunk for my uninsured motorist policy ($200 deductible vs my Collision deductible of $500). I was repeatedly urged to have my vehicle repaired at the collision deductible, and that I would be refunded the difference once the Uninsured motorist policy was approved. I declined, stating I would rather wait and just pay the $200 deductible.

This was in early December 2016. State Farm claims department did not contact me from then until today, February 8, 2017. Today, they now say they don't have enough proof to show that he was the one who damaged my vehicle. NOW they finally ask for me to send them pictures of the damage to my vehicle, the neighbor has since sold/traded the at-fault vehicle... I'm done with State Farm, today I canceled my over-priced life insurance policy with them. The agent had the audacity to say "If you cancel your life insurance policy, your auto insurance will go up about $5/month." I simply replied, "That's fine, I'll be here next month to cancel it as well."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

I have been a loyal home and auto policyholder with State Farm for over 35 YEARS and because I had 2 large claims (need a new roof and water damage due to an overflowing toilet), the underwriters canceled my policy. I have paid out a hell of a lot more to State Farm than they have paid me for my 2 claims and I'm absolutely disgusted that they canceled my policy. Bottom line, loyalty means nothing. The company and you will get insurance as long as you don't have claims. They should be ASHAMED!!!

My family was diagnosed with black mold in the home, they reported it to the insurance company. The company had them still stay in the house as they continued their "proper protocol". Meanwhile my mother-in-law who should not have been exposed to this was unfortunately in this process she had passed away. My sister advised the insurance company it's more cost-effective to put them in a rental home they instead thought it would be better in a hotel (which later tended to cost more). They had my sister going back and forth and are now kicking them out of the hotel while the house has no running water and the construction will have to be done with a family in the home... no stable bathroom. Please explain how this is humane? I am going to reach out to whomever I must, this is not right.

First of all, let me say that if I could give Eric ** 0 or -0 stars, that's what I would've rated him & his business practices. I know this is lengthy, but please continue reading-it could save you a lot of money & stress in the end. If I can help even one person out there looking for an agent to not get completely swindled, that's why I am writing this review. I have known Eric half my life, my family had insurance with him a long time. I started my own policies with him as soon as I was old enough. So here we are, all this time later and I have severed ties with his office & now preparing to leave State Farm.

Now, we all know that insurance is a scam. We pay out tons of money every month most of us will never even benefit from. So it already hurts a little but then to have your agent scam you as well... that's a real fun thing to deal with. Eric is unethical, dishonest and greedy. He is a liar & a scam artist & will literally lie through his teeth to get what is best for him. He will tell you that he only has your best interest at heart as the valued customer but when he makes a mistake on your policy (admits it to you but won't when being investigated), then takes no responsibility for his actions & tells you that's the way it goes sometimes, that sucks.

We bought a policy through him, an HO6 for a townhouse/condo. Over the phone, we briefly went over coverage with his staff. Then, less than a year later-we get hammered with a hailstorm! We call in, the girls in his office tell us that they don't cover that damage first of all and then eventually tell us that we're only covered for $1,000 of it and there is no other options. We find out that they underinsured us and didn't even know the policy well enough to offer us sufficient coverage.

I talked to Eric & he personally told me that HE did the same thing to a lady in highlands ranch, co and that she's having to pay out $10,000 and she's only covered for $1,000 like we are, so we should be happy. And then laughed it off, He said "that was my bad, that was my bad, l'll admit that, but there's nothing that can be done. You just have to deal with it." If the lady from highlands ranch or someone who knows her is reading this, please tell her to go after Eric for errors & omissions. He should have to pay out for his mistake.

Unfortunately, State Farm doesn't mind dishonest, lying snakes representing them, so they backed him up in my case, but if someone else comes forward, they might listen! I spent months & countless hours talking to different depts at State Farm, even corporate, just to be treated with such disregard and disrespect to not even be called when they were doing their final "investigation." Well of course they're not going to backdate & pay out what they should, that affects their pocketbooks as well. But to have an agent who is so immoral & unethical representing them & then to stand behind his fraudulent actions, it's disgusting!

Eric ** will blame you for being underinsured, as he did me. As he told me- "it's your responsibility as the customer to know your insurance policy." Whereas that may be true, I didn't go to school to be educated on insurance like you did Eric & I don't get paid to know about insurance, You do. So do it right and don't blame the consumer who pays you good money to know your crap! Unfortunately, this is not the only time Eric has screwed up on our policies. That one costs us thousands which thankfully he had to reimburse because he got caught! His office gave us wrong information (gee, does that sound familiar?) & only because his staff member had documented it, did he have to pay it back to us. Otherwise he said he wouldn't have.

So that's Eric ** summed up, everyone. Greedy, lying, dishonest, immoral, unethical & last but not least, doesn't do the right thing even when he knows he messed up! You don't want to have coverage with him, because when your day comes (and it will) for him to have your back, he won't be there. In fact, he will be the guy lying and taking all your money and denying he even knows you. How sad!

When I switched my Homeowners policy to a new company, the new company failed to notify State Farm of the new coverage. When I discovered months later that I was not refunded my premium by State Farm I requested a refund. They refused to backdate and refund my policy premium even though I made no claims. I cost them nothing but that didn't matter. Policy is policy.

After over 30 yrs with State Farm, they have canceled our homeowner's policy. Why? Because we had 3 claims in 5 yrs, all weather damage. Like I can tell Mother Nature to stop the hail, wind or lightning. We've had them for our cars, boats, campers, homes and renter policies since we were 15 yrs old. Never missed a payment. So, if they won't keep our homeowners, they won't be getting any more of our vehicles.

My house caught fire 11/5/2016. This insurance company has been giving me nothing but problem after problem. Even had me sleeping in a cold car because my claim adjustor Kristen ** and her manager Mark ** was very argumentative and rude. They refuse to put me in a different hotel because the one I was in had bugs.

I planned to have coverage in 2017 but after moving into a new house in 2016 that had an issue with a leaking toilet that caused some water damage at a total loss amount of under $4K. December 28th, get a letter from State Farm informing us they will not extend coverage and dropped us like a bag of rocks. Adding the letter and claim amount. We had a pipe burst and we fixed it and mitigated the problem ourselves but made the mistake of telling State Farm about it so curiously enough they counted it as a claim. Also, our representative in Knightdale NC Brian ** was the worst representative we have ever had... Anywhere... With anyone. We were with State Farm for 4 years and 3 in Indianapolis. Our rep there was amazing and his name was Andy **. But Brian ** and his office were like dealing with the VA in that they didn't respond, were slow to advise, and rarely actually responded to emails or calls. He was garbage to say the least.

We experienced a dirty water flood that damaged our entire kitchen, downstairs bathroom, bedroom, laundry room and part of the living room. The entire kitchen was demolished along with 2 feet high of drywall removed and flooring removed in all affected rooms. We were given a hotel for 4 days during the demolition and then told we could move back in.

The reason for the review is the following. State Farm assessed the damage at roughly 15k below the actual cost that any contractor would be willing to do the work for. Each contractor stated that they would not even try to negotiate with State Farm when the cost is not anywhere near the actual cost of repair. State Farm sent us a check for the assessed amount for us to self contract. We submitted the check to our credit union and began to purchase cabinets, fixtures and other various items that had multiple week delivery times. Our credit union called us to inform that the check was declined and we were now overdrawn $5,000. The process for getting the check from State Farm to us, then to our mortgage lender and back into our credit union account took a total of 3 weeks.

We were informed that our bank account was negative 5k on 12/23/16 (Friday before Christmas weekend). State Farm was involved in a 3 way conversation between the credit union and myself. The State Farm rep, James **, proved both ignorance and arrogance by refusing to escalate the assistance to their shared financial department. Instead, the State Farm rep escalated the phone call into an argument and refused to allow us to speak to a supervisor. Instead, James insisted that the protocol would be to issue another check (another 3 week process). Meanwhile, we have no money in our account and even when we do get paid, we will have to pay back the overdraft.

We tried calling multiple people to try and get a better idea of what else we could do. State Farm eventually informed us that the check did not clear because there were two claims paid on the same check number for the exact same amount. The second claim was an auto claim. By the time they found out what the problem was, anyone who could authorize an overnight check directly to us had already left for the weekend and would not return until Tuesday, Dec.27th. The plan we were given was to try to get financial to try and bypass our lender signature via a phone call to them authorizing the check. Still, we will have a 10 day waiting period for the check to clear and the likeliness that our credit union will clear part of the amount to zero out our overdrawn account does not seem likely.

My assessment is that had the original rep. James ** had contacted the shared financial department, we would have had enough time to make all necessary calls to get a wire transfer resolution before the holidays and correct the mistake. As of today, Saturday, 24th (Christmas Eve). We are searching for any available loose change so that we can pay for gas and local travel to visit family tonight. I understand that mistakes happen. However, the problem could not even be rectified because of the amount of uneducated people that shelter complaints for the people at State Farm who should really be driving the company. I don't think this will result in legal action against State Farm. But, once we are caught up from the financial burden they have caused, we will be dropping them as our insurance provider and seeking another. The way things are going, I would be surprised if our house is back in order by March of 2017.

I am like many others on this thread who are long time customers of State Farm. I have had many cars and several home insured with them throughout the over 45 year I have been with them. I never had a claim for any of my vehicles or homes. Now that I am older I decided to sell my home and with the proceeds I was able to buy a nice mobile home in a 55 and over park. This home was in excellent condition but is a older home built in 1976. My agent was great and signed me up for the new policy that took effect when I moved it.

Much to my surprise and the agents who received a notice that the new policy was being canceled because they wanted to know more about the furnace and water heater. They gave me one week to find a contractor to re-inspect these two items and write a letter that they were safe and not a fire hazard. Then a week later they came back now wanting proof that the screen in porch was "Free Standing" and not attached to the trailer.

They gave us a few days to do this. The agent came and crawled under the trailer and took pictures and proved that it was in fact "Free Standing". We were sure this going to give them the information they wanted. NO not at all. They came back and gave us 2 days to do the whole thing over again stating the letter from the contractor did not specifically say the pipes were not corroded and that they needed more proof on the construction of the screened porch. Needless to say this could not happen in two days. My agent is so mad at them they are going give all my information to a friend who works for Farmers Insurance. When I find out if they will insure me then I will also transfer my car. I am so done with State Farm. :(

I have had insurance with State Farm (homeowner's and automobile) for over 37 years. Last month, I got a letter stating that they were not renewing my homeowner's insurance because I have had three claims in under ten years - one was theft from a car nine years ago (which we did not receive compensation for), and two were the result of house damage related to weather issues (roof damage due to hail and wiring damage due to a lightning strike) in 2014 and 2016 respectively.

I appealed the non-renewal, and I was just told today that my appeal was denied. In the denial letter it states that the average homeowner has a loss every 15-25 years, and we have exceeded that (as mentioned above). People that I know have told me similar stories over the years, but I had not experienced any problems with State Farm so I never changed companies. I should have seen the potential for problems with them when I got a letter a couple of years ago stating the car dealership was fixing too many chips in my windshields. The car dealership asked for a copy of the letter to put in their "ridiculous file". Maybe their insurance is great... unless you need to file a claim.

Do not go to State Farm. They rip you off and will not follow the guidelines of any state. The Indiana state filed suit and State Farm refused. Not even the attorney general or state board will make them pay or no attorney in Indiana will take the case. I had a flood. The agent never came out to take picture, they asked for the deductible upfront. They hired a cleanup crew and there was over 20, thousand in damage. They had painter that hired Moore restoration. They did not finish the job. It looked like a two year old drips paint peeling. They left the job site to do other jobs. State Farm refused to replaced the appliance and furniture after they had us go price it then sent them a bill/ they sent 4 adjusters out. The health board of Indiana said the walls need to be replaced and everything thrown away.

State Farm gave Moore the money without coming to check the work. The house has not been in right condition for two years, I'm disabled and ignore my mom a senior. We cannot afford to get anyone fixed so we must leave the home the way it is, my mom has no bed. My bed is broken. No dishwasher, they made use our old washer dryer and stove. We lost our clothes that we had a tv that electrical cords sitting in water, they wanted to use that just like a couch chair tables cario cabinet etc. They refused to pay up after we have full coverage. They hired attorney to come after us.

This is just a few pictures. They painted the wrong color, put in the wrong floor got paint on the ceiling. State Farm just send out one of adjuster have after the work they never followed what they wanted Moore do it. According to the Indiana health department all new bathrooms should be redone and all new things just like appliances and furniture. So we have been sick with this things.

We have been with State Farm Home for 23 years (Home and Cars). We had a claim during hurricane Mathew. We had eight solar panel ripped of the roof and multiple leaks inside our home. The agent told us to replace each individual shingle where holes were made (about 60 holes). He estimated partial roof repair costing just over $13,000. Our deductible was approx. $7,000. So you think State Farm would write a check for about $6,000; but nope, State Farm wrote me a check for about $1,000 and told me to make the repair and the apply for the remaining. What a rip-off. Very disappointed with State Farm!!!

11-12-2016 I had to file another injury claim. In fact this the 2nd injury claim and the 3rd person to fall at my property due to water damage claim which I reported the claim on 8-22-2016 because I have a contract with Hiller who comes out every three months to service my home and the same with Servall too. I have had to delay these two companies for their route duties to my property. All I have to say if you want a company who DOES NOT CARE get State Farm. There is NO excuse for delays in checks for repairs and reimbursement and State Farm refused to make reservations for our family a hotel. I had to pay for all hotels, all my repairs, and still today with estimates that have been sent to State Farm from me, other companies, and contractors.

State Farm knows I have been out our home since 8-2016 due to water damage. I have a claim in fact claims and still today no check for full estimate and NO Claim Department staff has come out since 9-9-2016. I have call sent TN Insurance Commission, Consumer Affair, BBB, NAACP, TN Attorney General Marsha Blackburn, and complaints to State Farm. As of today 2-17-2016 after reporting a second injury claim about representative from Home Depot falling Bathroom collapsed and she went down. I call ambulance and call State Farm. Established 2nd injury claim, assigned Mrs. ** and the 1st injury a month ago. I was assigned to Mrs. Vera **. I have been refused refunds of money. I have paid out of pocket since 8-2016, and I have receipts to show the expenses, and I believe I am entitle to have my home repairs done in a timely fashion.

I have paid State farm all premiums for 2016. In fact my policy expires 12-2016 and my home estimates were sent. Check from State Farm do not reflect enough to remodel for water damage, my crawl space bathroom kitchen flooring walls etc. I HAVE A CLAIM I PAID ALL 2016 FEES to State Farm. What else am I to do??? AVOID STATE FARM.

8-22 they refer ServPro who left a mess and I had to pay out of pocket to remove items they left behind. ServPro used my electricity and NOT their generators. Left toilet on front porch sink on my patio. ServPro sloppy and came for quick check for less than 5000. I even had to relocate from TN to Indiana since homeowner water damage claim. Surprise...State Farm paid ServPro for very poor work ethics. State Farm DID NOT have my 2016 car covered with auto coverage I purchased on 8-16-2016.

Call local agent Freemyer and he did not cover my car. I have two different effective dates for one car and I request my policy and they sent some other family homeowner policy from KY to my Tennessee address. PLEASE LIKE CONTRACTORS TOLD ME STATE FARM DO NOT PAY. Avoid State farm. This company has a problem. Too many mistakes, delays, excuses and several lies I have caught them in. I have just paid to get my home repairs done since it will be 90 days on 11-20-2016. IT'S A SHAME TO BATTLE A COMPANY. I even gave on 9-28-2016 my deductible to local agent in Clarksville and office did not take payment but take monthly payment for home policy on 10-28-2016 for 11-2016 and 12-2016 premiums.

My father, who is 86 years old, an honorably discharged veteran (CSM, Ret), has heart issues, dementia and a home in outstanding condition, has had this insurance on his home and cars for 38 years. We estimate he has paid at least $60,000.00+ in homeowners' premiums over those years. In the last 10 years he has had 4 claims which cost this company less than $12,000.00. 3 of those claims were due to Oklahoma weather and winds (like we can control that). They also count 2 claims against him that they didn't pay 1 cent on!

Last month they refused to renew his policy because of "Too many claims"! WHAT IS INSURANCE FOR!!! Icing on the cake... his agent of 38 YEARS filed 1 appeal and then basically said, "Sorry, you're on your own." He offered no other help at all!!! Not even a suggestion of who to call for a new policy. My sister made calls all the way up the ladder at STATE FARM INSURANCE, only to be continually told basically "Too bad, so sad." We contacted the INSURANCE COMMISSION for help.

Yesterday (30 days later) I was told "It's a non-renewal, not a cancellation, we can't help you." So today my sister called to get coverage with another company we had previously gotten a quote from. GUESS WHAT... dad's policy lapsed while we were fighting this, SO NOW THEY WON'T INSURE HIM!! Not once, at any time, did anyone caution us not to let the policy lapse. Now we are scrambling to find insurance coverage, hoping that we won't have to settle for State Insurance! So here's a big shoutout to STATE FARM INSURANCE... for taking dad's money for 38 years and then dumping him when they had to pay something. Hope the shareholders appreciate his money!

We recently filed modest a house storm damage claim with State Farm which they OK'd and paid, but then promptly canceled our homeowners policy. This after 35+ with their company! We've noticed that SF has changed over the past 5 years, for the worse. It's nothing like the company we once dealt with. They are now a "use it and lose it," company. That is, if you file a claim, even if legit, you'll likely get canceled. I'd go somewhere else if I were you.

My now husband and I's house caught fire a year ago on November 10th. My husband went through State Farm for all of his insurance needs. When our house burnt down (my daughter's humidifier caught on fire which took the entire house down with it). The insurance company did not cover my things because my husband and I were not married yet and I didn't have renters insurance. I have two kids both under the age of 4 at the time. They told me when they got settled with the humidifier company that they would let me know what I could do to get some type of settlement for my things. They said "I can piggy back off of State Farm".

It has been a year and we have called numerous times, trying to find out information and we have never gotten a callback. We have left a ton of messages and still nothing. It doesn't impress me that they won't give me a callback, and they are treating us like we don't matter. There are a million people who pay for insurance every month and don't put in any type of claim...and the ones who actually have to use what we all pay for get tossed around.

My dad "had" been with State Farm since he got out of the service in 1954. He recently purchased a new mobile home and wanted to be insured by State Farm. I sent pictures of the home and obtained a Homeowner's Policy in the beginning of July 2016. In early October of the same year, we received a letter that the policy was being terminated unless he put new support on his carport. State Farm was kind enough to give my 86 year-old father exactly 1 week to research, get an estimate, and have the work done. Needless to say, I canceled his policy that night. By the way, in all the years he's had a Homeowner's Policy with State Farm, he's not filed a single claim.

Decided to review my policy. Upon review I noticed my deductible increased to 1/2% of value of my home & premium increased about 30%. I called State Farm to find out why. They said they sent a letter out several months ago explaining it with option to keep deductible the same as previous. This was on the 5 page of many pages. You would have to really look hard to find this. Letter stated no real reason just it was up.

I have had 1 small $1,700 claim in 11 years. So the reason the agent gave me was my homes value is more than when I bought it. Well I've tried selling my home twice in the past 2 years for less than what I paid and never got any interest. I believe State Farm is doing customers injustice and taking advantage by making policies complicated and intentionally deceiving customers. Agent said they notified the mortgage company about the increase and they ok'd it. Well I pay the premium and should have been asked too. I will post more after I get a legitimate answer.

Being yelled at and disrespected by an Independent Adjuster for State Farm was both threatening and upsetting. My adult son twice asked him to stop raising his voice and to give me an opportunity to speak. The adjuster continued to raise his voice and then walked out without answering my questions. He was by far the worst representation of how to treat another human being let alone a paying customer. I expect the CEO of State Farm to personally reach out to me with an apology and explanation about the practices that resulted in selecting and training this person to interact with customers. After the Adjuster inspected our roof for hail damage, he explained that while our roof had visible damage and offered his opinion of the cause.

He said, the damage he observed was most likely not caused by hail. In other cases, similar damage was caused by contractors walking on the roof, someone scraping lichens off the roof, or has poor workmanship during the roof installation. His comments insinuated that our contractors caused the damage or that we walked on the roof and caused the damage. He said that it is unlikely lichens since we don't have tall enough trees. I tried to ask him how he decided that it was the contractor or us that caused the damage. To me, he insinuated that we hired a poor contractor or damaged the roof on our own. He never allowed me to ask my question because he raised his voice and continually talked over me. In the absence of other evidence, I can only conclude that State Farm has no interest in providing good customer service.

This is regarding an auto accident where your member hit my car that was parked. Because I am not able to have insurance of my own they would not pay for the insurance on the rental. But the little ** girl who car was also hit along with mine and my car was newer and of much more value was able to not only get a rental but not a little jetta that was only available to me said by Hertz... I'm so sick of racism and bias behavior by everybody, everywhere. But you eat our food, listen to our music, use our language, even try to be hip... but you don't like ** people.. SMH.

I live in Oklahoma and the state has had numerous earthquakes in the past few years. I've had earthquake insurance added to my homeowner's policy in the last 2 years. We had, for our area, a major seismic event on September 3, 2016. It being Labor Day weekend I called State Farm claims and left a message. A man did call me back within 24 hours. A investigator came out that week and took numerous pictures and measurements. I was told a Structural Engineer would also need to come out and do an evaluation. He came a week, on a Monday, following the event. He told me State Farm would have his verbal report in the next day or 2 and his written within the week. I attempted to follow up online with my claim. That has not been updated since the first week. I called the structural engineer once a week for 2 weeks. He never returned my phone calls. I called my agent again this past Friday. It's been 5 weeks since the claim was made.

I'm suppose to find out today if they're going to help me with repairs. Their customer service has been lax and haphazard. The claim site has not been updated, the State Farm investigator has been abrupt and not forthcoming with updates. My house is listed for sale and the earthquake damage has lessened the value. I really hope they pay, as I have already invested the earthquake insurance deductible into repairs. Very poor service indeed and this is before I find out if there is going to be any reimbursement.

Last year my dog was protecting the property and unfortunately bit a neighbor. I placed a claim with State Farm which they paid out less than $2,500 in medical bills. I'm on a fixed income so this was more than I can afford. I have been with State farm for over 20+ years and they cancelled my policy. As a senior citizen on fixed income this is devastating. When I spoke to the agent they never warned me that by placing a claim they will cancel me if not I would have looked into other options.

A State Farm Fire and Casualty customer since 1974. This summer, while I was out of town, high winds and hail damaged houses within a 5 mile radius of my house. Came home, saw all of these contractors in the neighborhood, and sure enough hail damage. Small tree fell onto my shed, roof damage, gutters, all about $10,000. 2 months later, State Farm notifies me it will cancel my account as of Sept 30, 2016. WTHeck? I call my agent, who says he was recently canceled as well, and had to appeal. Seems State Farm has a new underwriting computer system and it is taking a hard line on homeowner's insurance. He said there was little he could do. WTHeck? Like a good neighbor, State Farm is no longer there. Insurance as long as you don't use it. The image of being there for you is gone.

My agent's advice (someone who feels like he is more focused on building his book of business than keeping me insured) says there's little he can do. Their image is tarnished, so much for State Farm. 4 cars, 2 life insurance policies, and now I need a new home insurer. Seems State Farm, and perhaps everyone, shares their information with every other major insurance company. (So much for personal privacy.) So, it will be difficult to get homeowner's insurance from anyone given State Farm shares they have cancelled you. You trust, you pay, and they let you down. Customer service? The agent doesn't pick up the phone, it goes to SF support center, who can't help you. Value? Well I used to get great value, but this appears to be the new State Farm Coverage? Whole house fire and casualty.

Will not pay on legitimate claims. I provided receipts for items stolen. They keep asking for additional information that was provided. It became obvious that they are crooked and did not want to pay. I have had to file a lawsuit against them. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. CHECK ALL THE BAD REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET.

My family and I have been fighting with State Farm since June 7 about our roof claim. I have had the same 2 insurance adjusters to my home 4 times in 3 months. Our home is unlivable, due to black mold, which is caused from the roof leaking in multiple places. We have an estimate for the roof for $8300, an estimate for mold removal for $4800. And State Farm has only given us $3500. They said the roof ISN'T leaking, there's only one shingle out of place, and the claim is now closed. We are now renting a trailer 11 miles from home, which took 3 months to get. Before that, we were living back and forth between a tent in our front yard, hotels, and friends and families' couches. Our 14-year-old son fell in April and fractured his hip. Black mold causes Myosotis, weakened bones.

Our 16-year-old daughter is in remission of stage IV Burkitt's Lymphoma cancer, which is caused from Mono, and a weakened immune system (very possibly from the black mold). We need justice. This is wrong. In February 2010, we had a claim with State Farm, because our bedroom carpet and corner wall was wet. They said it was where the snow was melting and leaking under the shingles. We had to replace carpet, drywall, and insulation. It's doing the same thing again. State Farm is trying to get me for insurance neglect (fraud), saying it was NEVER repaired. All they have to do is tear into the drywall. They'll see it's different insulation, drywall, etc. They just don't want to pay. The center walls, around the AC unit and hot water tank are all needing replaced, due to the leaking. If it had been fixed 6 years ago, it would have never been this bad. And my family wouldn't be so sick.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.
  • Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.
  • Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.
  • Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.
  • Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance