2.50/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

964 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

First and only claim in twenty-two years. Hurricane Florence tore most of the shingles and paper off our fifteen year old roof. Thus allowing cascades of water to pour into our two story house damaging insulation, drywall, ceilings, floors, electrical fixtures in the majority of our home for four days before we were able to get a tarp on the roof. Dealing with State Farm nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown. Finally I had to turn all dealings with them over to my daughter just to keep from ending up in the hospital. Though she is very resourceful, she eventually hired an independent adjuster because she could get nowhere with them. We got multiple estimates. The best for the roof was $8500, for the interior work $50000. Even with the public adjuster we only ended up with $30000 total from State Farm.

We had to reach out to volunteer groups to get much of the work done as there was not enough to pay the contractors. They did do a fine job. After four months we are still displaced. Additional living expenses are not forthcoming. We are two months behind in the rental and have to yet to get any payment for dry cleaning, utilities, gasoline, or food. The monies were made out to us, and the mortgage company so now we are having to jump through hoops to get the money from them. A very knowledgeable help desk said that they didn't know how to deal with this as they had not seen any other insurance company make out checks this way. Bottom line? Stay away from State Farm!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My elderly mother, who suffers from dementia, had a prized Persian carpet in her bedroom. We removed the carpet and put it into the building's communal storage room after she had a knee operation, fearing that she would trip over it. Once in storage, the carpet was moved temporarily outside on account of a leak in the storage room. While there, it was inadvertently picked up as trash since it was near some trash bags.

Fortunately, we had this particular carpet appraised and insured with State Farm and much to my surprise, State Farm agreed to reimburse us for the full value. They gave me an approval over the phone after reviewing our policy and as they listened to my story about what happened. I did not even have to submit any paperwork or formal claim. I was blown away by the gesture and by them not trying to wiggle out on the technicality that the carpet was not inside my Mom's apartment. I am a State Farm customer myself and I told the representative that given their response, they will now have me as a customer for life.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I handled a homeowner's insurance claim on behalf of my uncle who was hospitalized at the time, and the total related costs to repair his house were $45,000. After paying insurance premiums to State Farm for over 30 years, this was the first claim ever made on his policy. They canceled his insurance policy immediately after the claim was filed and only paid $25,000 of the claim when I was ensured in the beginning that he had coverage for the actual cost of the repairs. The adjuster simply said that State Farm feels that my contractor's fees were too high for what they thought were reasonable, so we're just out the money that we paid for the repairs. They didn't offer any assistance in finding a contractor that would work for half price, and I chose the cheapest bid that I got. I'm glad I didn't go with the middle ground bid I got because I would really be out some money then. This is a horrible company. I would never get insurance with them again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I lost my home and all of my belongings on June 12th 2018. State Farm hasn't paid any additional living expenses for 5 months. They are trying to say my home was 2x4 construction when it was 2x6 and they haven't covered a vehicle that was lost. I have between 400,000 and 600,000 of coverage. They paid out 20% of my coverage and have been doing nothing since. Nothing on contents yet or the lost vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

State Farm was our insurance agency for years, but we moved and kept our old house on the policy! Without notice they canceled the policy and didn't give us a chance to even ask any questions, it was a no no no before we even finished our sentences... The house was under contract to sell and would have been needing coverage for just 25 more days.

They need to consider the market when they are dealing with actual people in this world... When a house is listed the reality companies all tell you at least 18 months for a house to be on the market. Clearly they are only out to keep their name clear. Not doing a good job. You only got 1 star because you had to give at least 1 but there really are 0 Stars here... I hope and pray I never have to actually use my policy anywhere else before I find a new company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I offered to help a woman who has been abused for years. Little did I know that her abuser was a violent excon with a love for money and the control he held over her. I also learned that all her income and finances were managed and kept away from her. She then was forced to provoke my dog to attack her to get money. I explained everything in a 3 page email and they said, "We can't do anything with that."

A year later State Farm received a demand letter for $550,000 and would only cover $300,000 and the rest was on me when I had an umbrella for $1,000,000 but they claimed it wasn't active. Filed a complaint with DOI and a couple days later they said sorry it was a mistake. Claims ended up negotiating and settling but would not give me any information but said if I change companies my report would not have an amount on it just "claim". I ordered my own clue report and it says $166,000. Everything about my experience with State Farm was unbelievably ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have had State Farm insurance for forty+ years, so naturally, my daughter chose State Farm to insure her auto and home. On July 17, 2018, her family's home was struck by lightning and caught on fire. The fire departments that responded were able to contain the fire to the roof, attic, and upstairs rooms. Unfortunately, the fire burned out the electrical connections and the water damage seeped through the walls down through all the floors including the finished basement. State Farm came to look at the damage, but took four months to provide an estimate for a settlement. During that time, we have had more rain and snow. The water damage has intensified. Moisture and mold have taken over.

The estimate from State Farm was less than a third of what reputable contractors said it would take to do the work, and the estimate did not include replacement of furniture and personal items. My daughter has faithfully paid her premiums, ensuring she had a policy that would cover the value of her home. Yes, State Farm provided them with a rental home, telling them four months would give them plenty of time to take care of everything. Fortunately, she and her husband pushed for longer time, since it is now December, and still nothing is done on their home. State Farm's commercials promise, "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," "to help life go right." It's apparent they have a hidden clause that says, "that's as long as you keep paying us and never expect us to fulfill our pledge and cover your costs during natural disasters."

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have had State Farm 36 yrs for homeowners insurance and never filed a single claim. I was on vacation for approx 10 days, upon arriving home I had water on my kitchen floor. I made that call to State Farm, sent photos and called one of the water damage companies to access where the water came from! Turned out to be the dishwasher... I was given a claims adjuster and reported the info to them. The adjuster never made an appoint to come see the damage, then I was told a leak is a leak! And it is not covered! I have read many reviews from others that have State Farm and same response! I was very disappointed in this company after paying my premiums for 36 years!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I've recently changed to another insurance company after 17 years with State Farm Insurance covering multiple policies including home/business and auto. I've never had a claim. In September 2018, I suffered water damage from a flood caused by a pipe burst in the ceiling/wall causing considerable damage to the finished basement structure. I paid immediately for water mitigation which caused thousands of dollars at State Farm's insistence to use a local company and that it might or might not be reimbursed.

From the beginning of the claim, to acquiring attorneys to recoup a small portion of the loss, I was treated not like a customer but someone who was trying to commit fraud. Questions from the call center reps, to the claims manager to the adjuster are all designed to make you say something in a state of stress that will lower your claim. Beware of State Farm's tactics which compensate employees for lowering the claim amount. Sounds crazy, but this is their model.

Bottom line to three months without the use of a house or a settled claim is a restorative bill of $24K to put the house back to the pre-flood condition and State Farm paying ONLY $5K of the claim. Period. Over 17 years of policy premiums, I'd have enough money to pay for most of the damage. Attorneys are looking at policy changes over those years where deductions were fraudulently made from coverage by State Farm without proper notification to the insured. Also, changing a deductible from $1,000 to 1/2 of one percent of the coverage, total value.

Beware of this company and do your homework with any other insurance company to understand what changes they can make to deductibles/coverage and how they need to notify you. It is best to review twice a year to be safe. I have no idea how the employees and CEO of the company sleep soundly at night knowing they are defrauding policyholders and as a policy compensate employees on the amount of the claim differences they do not pay.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My Dad paid premiums over 50 years. No claims until now, my Dad has passed away but my is still alive and has Alzheimer's. We had a lot of damage from Hurricane Michael and now they want to pay about 10 cents on the dollar. What a scam these people are. The company is an old fire company and that's about it and they probably wouldn’t pay even for a fire and they certainly won’t pay for wind. Beware they don’t cover much for wind. We got legitimate quotes from contractors and they try to use every excuse to nickel and dime us. Won’t even cover cost for my contractor to show up much less do the work.

Claims department took over a month to even call us back, what a joke. I call them every day trying to get some resolution, then a month later they call and have missed most of the damage, the adjuster comes out and measures by the square inch. When it's clear the contractor has to rip off half of the roof to fix that little bit they are trying to say is damaged. Go to another carrier. Whatever you do don’t use these people.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have insurance through State Farm and would not switch to any other insurance provider. I have my vehicle with State Farm and wanted to get the multi account discount. I like their app and I also have a credit card with State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

This is a trustworthy company, reliable and has office close my house. They gave me the best price for my insurance and a good personalized customer service. I can also manage my policy through the internet website. Their policy cover everything that I had with my previous insurance company. Although I have too short time as a customer for State Farm, for now I like everything that they gave me.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Supposedly State Farm is reputable. I like that I have a local agent and I like the agents I deal with. But I wish they improve their price because I don't know for sure if they're going to actually pay out if they're needed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

State Farm is cheaper, closer to home and they give good rates in both home and car insurance. I was given advice to go to this company because they have great rates and great agents. They are there all the time if I need help. Also they have great customer service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

8 years ago we had hail damage on roof, claim denied... Adjuster said the 5 year old shingles were faulty. We investigated should nuke issues and CertainTeed confirmed that the adjuster was wrong. Adjuster came out again approved the repairs but a second claim was opened. We complained and got nowhere (agent said not to worry). Well since then we had roof issues and new agent said file a claim, thank goodness I spoke to claims first because they said that they would have denied claim (poor workmanship] and would harp even still counted one more claim against us. This year I had a flood...called agent office and was connected to claims. Claims said it would take a while for the adjuster so I should ask the agent what I might do to minimize further damage.

I called and spoke to my Agent and he, who refuses to come out to our home 5 minutes away from his office, told us that State Farm would probably cancel our insurance on this claim but he wasn’t sure and would not know until renewal time. He didn’t know the underwriter rules. Needless to say I revoked the claim and issued a formal complaint with Ohio Dept of insurance. Too bad I didn’t know about ODI when State Farm opened two claims for the same roof damage. Also my agent at the time did not tell me the ramifications. My grandparent, parents and my family for 40 years had State Farm and it used to be such a good insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I first started using State Farm when I bought my first home on the recommendation of my Real Estate agent in 1982. I have never had an issue with them so have seen no need to change. I get quick response and service from my agent when needed. I have not filed a claim but have had coverage changes over the years that are quickly taken care of. This is for State Farm. However, I feel I pay too much for State Farm, but all are about the same. I don't see that any other company can provide better value. They all offer largely the same coverage. Despite all of the "you can save" ads, there is not a lot of aggressive competition.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Great experience all-in-all. I do need homeowners insurance and Bank says I have to have homeowners insurance policy. I really like everything about the policy I have with State Farm. All the features are nice to me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We were able to get the best price with State Farm as well as having an agent we liked. We have had it for years, and when we allow another agent we know try and get us a better price, he or she can not. I also have State Farm for flood insurance. I like using State Farm as I can use them for my vehicles as well. We also like interaction with insurance agent. I hope our new agent stays in touch and keeps us informed as well as our former agent had as he retired.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have an agent local and they take an interest in you to make sure we have enough coverage for us so if there is ever any issues we will be covered. They also offer higher coverage for jewelry, art or other different things. However, it gets very overwhelming when they talk about the down & dirty things that the insurance can or cannot cover especially when it comes to disaster coverage and then why the rates jump when we haven't had a claim. They should make things less complicated when trying to understand everything on a policy. Nevertheless, I have been with State Farm for over 40 years and don't like to change companies and don't feel others would do as great of a job as State Farm does.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

State Farm allows me to bundle my services all in one place allowing for one bill. I have my car insurance through State Farm so I chose them for my homeowners insurance as well. I have great coverage and my policy is a decent price. They have great customer service and I like being able to talk to my local agent. They know my whole story and know me as a person. But I would make a policy that allows for better incentives for people who have shown loyalty to the company. Perhaps offer special gifts, deals, etc. or offer discounts for people who take classes on home ownership like they do for people who take safe driver courses.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check. They also secured paid hotel accommodations nearby for a week for us. They secured us a fully equipped apartment with everything from towels to silverware. We only had to buy personal items like paper goods etc, we stayed there for 8 months fully paid. Power and water and cable was paid by State Farm and the apartment.

When we finally got settled we found our home was not insured for enough and State Farm gave us 20% more than we were covered for. I don't know why some people have left such terrible reviews but I'm sure it's because of the coverage they chose. I had the best plan offered on my home and when I needed taken care of with the fire I could not have asked for better service or treatment. And my premium did not go up. I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

State Farm is a well known company with decent pricing. We have a friend who is an agent and was able to get us better pricing through State Farm than what we were paying previously, so we switched. They also have several agents in my area and have a good reputation. But I feel like the deductible is high. For someone who very rarely uses their car insurance, I feel as though I should be rewarded for this by either lowering my deductible or giving me some sort of cash back incentive. Other than that, they are quick to respond when a claim is made. I was also rear ended by an uninsured driver recently and my deductible was waived because he was uninsured. I was very happy about this.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Water came in onto my wood floors from heavy rain. I had just installed new flooring less than year ago. Adjustor came out and said that if the matching floor could not be found that they would have to replace entire floor. They sent a sample to ITEL and they return a report listing floors in the same color family, but they were all much darker in color. Plus it was click and lock and the different manufacturers flooring does not work with my floor. I contacted the State Farm rep. and he sent email saying, "Case closed. Replacement floor located." They never responded to my other emails or calls saying the floor does not match. Unfortunately the damage floor is in front as you walk in.

Had State Farm for over 40 years and never filed a claim on any home. I was shocked that this is how they treat people. Am definitely switching to new company and making everyone I know aware of the way State Farm treats you if a claim is filed. From the first day I had contact with the adjustor he spoke to me very rude. I explained we were unhappy and he said, "Go find another insurance company if you are unhappy." All these years of paying premiums and this was how they treat customers, so to be former customers.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I'm happy with my choice of insurance with State Farm. I like the comfort of having homeowners in case something were to happen. I like the fact that a location is near my home, it's easy to contact someone if needed at any time, and the price of my policy is pretty decent. I like the price I pay and having security. I prefer to have homeowners along with car insurance to get a reduction. I would love to have insurance on my furnace, air conditioning and serious equipment like that. Not as far as appliances used in the home but I'd like the comfort of covering those needed items. That would be great!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I love State Farm insurance. I have never had another insurance company since I've needed insurance and State Farm hasn't given me a reason to want to change companies. I would love to get insurance for a lower price at the same amount of insurance. But other than that, I like that I have auto and home insurance at the same company. I also get discount for bundling.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have been with State Farm for 53 years. Paid over $130,000, (5 bills a month to State Farm), 2 homes and 3 cars, including family members. Put in a claim (would be the 3rd that was denied). Agent not helpful and did not care about us. Send out a claims adjuster when he knew the entire time we were getting dropped, 3rd claim, only paid out 1! 2019, new slate with no claims on the record. Claims adjuster sent out did not even want to go on the roof to look at the chimney problem, was going to write a claim based on previous bogus claim... agent basically called us a liar.

Never late on payments in over 25 years with this agent. Then we get a letter that the insurance dropped us! Agent did not have the decency to tell us, but allowed the pending claim to go on with sending adjuster out to the house!! How can State Farm think it is ok to treat a long time customer like this, they paid out less than 10% of what we paid to them in 53 years!! DO NOT RECOMMEND STATE FARM! CUSTOMER SERVICE NEVER CALLED US BACK, NO ANSWER AS TO WHY THEY DROPPED US. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HOW SF TREATED US!! NO LOYALTY!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My aunt works for State Farm I chose this policy. Otherwise, I would probably gone in a different direction because the reviews for State Farm are not that good. I like the price of my current homeowners policy though. It is comparable to the other rates that I searched for. But I dislike the representative that I have with my current policy. I also don't like that if I file a claim, I have to pay for the work to be done and then submit the claim to be paid. I should not have to finance the repair if I pay my premium.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

State Farm would cover everything that we own and would help us rent a place if need be. Other insurance companies won't help you that way at all. The policy is highly affordable and doesn't include anything we don't need. Also, the people are wonderful. They are our friends and like family to us. I like the way they are there for you, help their customers and the look of the place.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I would re-evaluate the payout policy for claims. Overall this company was good until there was a major claim. They are helpful and cover minor theft and general maintenance issues but when it comes to significant structural issues they choose to not pay out, instead they will take you to court. They do not want to help when there is a large problem even though you pay your bills on time. State Farm is too large a company for someone to sue and they know it so they will drag their feet in claims.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We also have our car insurance through State Farm Insurance Company, so we get a discount for having our homeowners insurance through State Farm Insurance Company. However, I wish that State Farm Insurance Company would lower our premiums. They are expensive and they only get more and expensive as time goes by. Where does it end? Other than that, they have an office in the town where we live, so we have a local agent, which is a good thing.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky