State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

3.9/5 (560 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

Pros

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

Cons

• Fairly high rates

Bottom Line

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Verified

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspecte...

Verified

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check.. I wasn...

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I filed a theft,/vandalism claim with State Farm in July of 2022. My first claim, after paying for coverage for four and a half yrs. They denied it, because they say that it's a legal issue. Of course it is, that's why I filed a police report. I discovered that they have a problem paying out legitimate claims. Even some Florida hurricane victims, have tarps and plastic taped to their roofs, because this company won't pay their claims. Don't deal with these people. Check out the I Hate State Farm page on Facebook. People nationwide, are getting ripped off from these people.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

My 90 yo mom who lives in a mobile home on our property had a tree fall through her roof on 7-11-2022. State Farm Claim # **. They sent out an adjuster a week later and he estimated the total damages of $8,100. We live in a very rural area and getting someone out for this type of damage to an old trailer with a metal roof has proven very difficult. But we got one person to give us a written estimate that was $17,500. I got one other verbal estimate for about the same thing. I met with 2 others that would not even give an estimate. One contractor laughed at me when I told him what State Farm estimated.

After arguing with State Farm for 6 weeks they said they would send a different adjuster out for a second opinion. 2 weeks later and after many unanswered and unreturned phone calls they tell me they don't have another adjuster and will send the same adjuster out. It’s now 9-29-2022, 10 weeks and my 90 yo mom is still sleeping with a blue tarp over her head covering a huge 14 foot wide gaping whole over her bed and bath. I am so frustrated, and I don't know what to do. Whatever you do, don't buy your homeowners insurance from State Farm. If you have them already get rid of them before it’s too late. Or you might be as sorry as I am for having them as my insurance company for the last 20 years.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I have been with State Farm for nearly thirty years now and have nothing but good transactions until today after I filed a claim for my home with water damage and was told that it was not covered by the homeowners insurance, therefore and I am sure all insurances are the same but at the end of the year I will be shopping and replacing all my policies that I currently have with State Farm, I could see if I filed claims every time I turned around. However I do try and refrain from being frivolous with submitting claims just because.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I have been a loyal State Farm customer for more than twenty years with replacement cost insurance on my house. A storm ripped several shingles off multiple slopes of my roof in December. Seven months later, State Farm still has not approved replacing my roof. Customer service started well. State Farm sent a vendor to tarp the roof within a few hours. Two weeks later, a field adjuster assessed the damage and shipped one of my shingles to a lab for analysis. A few days later, I received approval to replace only a fraction of my roof and with a different shingle.

The desk adjuster tried to convince me his shingle was an “exact match.” My roof contractor sent the desk adjuster a side-by-side picture of the original shingle and the one he suggested. The shingles are significantly different. We also provided the adjuster an independent lab result showing the manufacturer discontinued my shingle and there is not a similar shingle available.

A few days later, the desk adjuster changed his story and agreed the shingle had been discontinued. Instead of replacing the full roof in accordance with state laws, he then insisted the shingle he approved for my roof is a “like kind” replacement. He claims he spoke to two different “shingle locator experts.” He also claims the manufacturer said it was not a problem to install the different shingle on my roof if it was on a different slope. This information is the opposite of what the manufacturer told me. I provided the adjuster a letter from the shingle manufacturer saying the original shingle should not be mixed with currently manufactured shingles due to differences in color and granules. The claims department manager sarcastically told me the two different shingles would not “cause a chemical reaction being on the same roof.”

State Farm refuses to provide their lab analysis or documentation for any of the assertions the desk adjuster made regarding communication with his “shingle locator experts” or the manufacturer. My insurance agent was initially helpful. However, Hunter ** abandoned this claim several months ago. After multiple phone calls and emails, this issue remains unresolved.

Original review: July 1, 2022

We have had home & auto with State Farm for over 20 years. We had a horrible experience Memorial weekend. Downstairs bathroom sink pipe broke. Water flooded the studio area bathroom and garage. I called that was a nightmare cause people do not come out anymore and they wanted me to file online. I wanted to talk to someone. I had to go and get my own extraction company on a holiday weekend and pay them. I went and got pricing for all the ruined items. Now since they do not trust my numbers they said someone would come out. Well two weeks no one yet. Now she stated they are not coming? WTH. STEER CLEAR. There are lots of other companies. We will we shopping. I WILL ALSO FILE WITH BBB AND ATTORNEY GENERAL.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I have held an auto & homeowner policy with agent Hamid at the State Farm office in Clayton, CA and have always had a positive experience. They answer their phones(!), are competent, and reliable to follow through with my concerns. I have been very happy with this insurance company and plan to stay with them in the years to come.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I recently switched to State Farm from USSA approximately 6-8 months ago and it was the biggest mistake. I had an upstairs bathroom leak which flooded my kids bathroom, hallway and downstairs laundry room right before Christmas. Claim still has not been resolved, the internal and field adjusters for State Farm are rude and inexperienced and I am beginning to think this is by design. I cannot get any answers on a small 13k claim or updates. I have experienced lack of communication, unreasonable delays, failure to investigate, underpaying claims etc. Needless to say, my three kids are still sharing our bathroom almost 12 weeks later with no resolve. Stay away from State Farm...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Tree hit the house on September 1. Finally deposited payment on Christmas Eve. Part of my problem was an inexperienced contractor. State Farm always stuck me in the middle trying to explain what they needed to a contractor that just didn't seem to understand. In my opinion, once I found a contractor, the insurance company should have taken the reins and negotiated with the contractor directly. Clearly that's not how they work. This way of doing business put me in the position of negotiating between the two. What it did was to shift costs to me whenever there was any disagreement.

State Farm also nickel and dimed me on everything. EVERYTHING. Enough that it prompted several excited calls to my agent who tried to smooth things out. State Farm also stuck me in the middle between them and the mortgage company. Apparently the mortgage company has to approve payments but they cannot do this between them. Noooo. State Farm mailed the documents to me and I had to spend $10 postage each time to forward to the mortgage company so they could endorse the check. This took nearly a month each time.

The house has been repaired. I spent way more out of pocket than I expected because some structural irregularities were exposed due to the accident and even though my policy covers bringing the structure up to code, somehow it was not covered. I also floated State Farm a $16,000 loan for several months because the contractor expected to be paid upon completion of the job. Was this a good experience? Absolutely not. I gave State Farm 3 stars rather than a lower rating because I expect that most insurance companies' claims experiences are this disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

They are doing everything possible to not pay me for wind damage to my roof, including leaving out materials and costs in the estimate for what was damaged. Anything that was covered last time this happened that they are able to get away without paying they are. 2 years ago they were great, today they are rip off artists who have a team of people working hard to cheat you out of every $50 they can.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Dear State Farm Executive Management,

Untrustworthy….Unfriendly. I am a 30+ year State farm customer with 6 SF policies. I had a claim for my storm damaged roof that officially began about 2 years ago. I have had numerous SF PSP contractors along the way who told me that I should have gotten a roof long ago. All of the neighbors in my cul de sac had insurance replacement roofs over 2 years ago. I eventually came to find out that the SF adjuster was taking pics FROM MY STREET to substantiate their position that my wood shake roof was fine. One of your PSP contractors got up on my roof, and took pictures near and up on the roof. This finally convinced SF to pay my roof claim. SF asked me to get estimates, and I did.

-A comparable roof to what I had was priced at: $52,200
    -SF agreed to pay: $45,000
    -The actual roof I wanted costed approximately: $47,000
    -(Due to COVID, it was out of stock indefinitely)
    -The only roof that was available (that was cat 4) costed: $29,171

-Leaving a balance that they owed me after deductible of: $14,422

Upon completion of the roof, I was sent a letter by my adjuster stating that I would receive a check for the $14,422 difference (Letter attached). He sent me an email confirming that. The next week, I was told that “MANAGEMENT” decided against paying me the $14,422 balance of my claim....SERIOUSLY? How does that happen? Is this how State Farm treats their customers now? Untrustworthy….Unfriendly.

-Why on earth would I not take advantage of the $45K SF said they would pay?
    - Had I known SF was not going to pay me the full amount, I would have waited for a more expensive (Comparable to what I have) roof to be available.
    -Why would I or anyone for that matter leave $15K on the table?

-A comparable roof was not available (Covid delays) at the time of my installation.

I spoke with your SF area managers regarding my roof claim. They seemed to just read to me out of their policy book, and I am furious with their position. I wish to pursue this further. I hope SF is more concerned with customer service than technicalities. You used to be. After all of these years with SF, I wonder….does SF care about people like me who have been loyal multi decade customers with several policies? It sure doesn’t feel like it with this matter. It was suggested, by one of your people, that I get a lawyer to help me to get a fair shake with SF. I don’t want to have to do that, but I want a more positive resolution to this claim. Can you help?

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information