1.73/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 30, 2017

848 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My agent Justin at State Farm is the best! Unfortunately, I had family issues come up all at the same time and needed more time before starting my services. Justin did exactly what I asked of him and he didn't forget to follow back up with me. His advice was superb and I couldn't have asked for a better agent. I am happy to be a part of State Farm!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

My agent and his office in Centerville, Ohio of nearly 25 years for home, car, etc. has become completely incompetent and after 2 1/2 months and 3 phone calls later and promises to have someone look at my damaged roof from a storm, they still have not come out. I will be promptly terminating my policy and will speak of State Farm as the WORST 'Good Neighbor' you'll ever have unless you're living next to scum...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have been with State Farm Jeff Hamilton's office for 10 years now and can say they have always handled my issues quickly. I've have a broken pipe that caused a flood in my home, a house fire, and broken car windshields. State Farm has always come to my aid with no hassles. I would give them an 11 out of 10!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I've been a State Farm customer for fifty years, never filed for anything but a few windshields and perhaps one fender bender. Recently a 10 ft by 6ft section of my roof blew off, anyone could tell that another section was about to come down and much of the other roof was in bad shape. I called several roofers and was told it certainly was an insurance condition as we had a hail storm just 2 weeks before. I filed a claim and was told to get a roofer to put a tarp on it to prevent inside damage (I guess that might have harder to get out of paying for). I did this and paid a roofer to put some tar paper and a tarp over it. When the inspector called I told him that the whole roof was bad needed to be replaced, he told sarcastically that, "We'll see about that". I knew at that point the outcome had been predetermined.

He said all it needed was some shingles and it did reach my deductible. Also the appointment had to be made to meet his schedule not the customer's. I called Baxter Griffith agency (my account) and told them I was not happy about the whole experience and Nicole had someone from the claims section, a Mr. Lowell ** call me, he told me to find one roofer and have him give a quote and to write up the reasons he thought the roof needed to be replaced and he would do what he could to help. He did. I was contacted by Richard **, claims dept. He scheduled an appt then called and canceled because it might rain and he could get on the roof (didn't rain until 5 o'clock). I had to take another off to meet his schedule. When he did come out he was in street clothes, no large ladder, nice man told me a few roofing stories and finally told me State Farm wouldn't cover anything.

When I told Mr. ** that I paid to have someone cover the hole in roofing he said they would pay for it (this whole process has taken 5 or 6 wks). No sense of urgency on anyone's part. I finally got a call from a lady in the claims dept who she would put the 2 amounts together and pay half of what it cost to have the roof tarped, even after they were the ones who told me to have it done. Since 1967 I paid premiums amounting to over 150k dollars, I always thought of State Farm as the gold standard but it appears you have no standards at all. The roofer I got had no horse in the race, I told him I was going have to replace the roof even if State Farm weaseled out of it.

This whole process with State Farm has been the single worst I have ever had with any company about anything. I certain plan to tell everyone on every social platform available to me how utterly disappointed I am with your company. I am 74 and have to find 10k to replace my roof. The roofers I had look at my roof were surprise that it was not covered, but added but it is State Farm. I guess that says it all. Thanks for always getting premium notices to me on time, never missed those. If the house burned down I guess you all would claim the electricians that wire were incompetent. Very sad, but these things have a way catching up to companies asked USAIR, GM, Chrysler, Penney's, Sears, Toys "R" Us, etc.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My daughter's neighbors tree fell on her house during a storm. State Farm told her not to touch anything until an adjuster came. After calling every day for 7 days someone finally asked her if she had removed the tree because she needed to do that before the adjuster came. They then told her they would not be responsible for any mold damage due to her house having holes in it. We are now over a week and no adjuster. No one helped her in any way. She had no electricity or gas. She does not live near family. She was told to keep receipts. With deductibles and paying a tree service. She can't afford a hotel. I have friends that have another insurance and they put them in a hotel and made sure things went smoothly and helped lessen the stress. I have been with State Farm forever and never had a bad word against them but after this I will be looking for a new insurance company and will tell everyone that State Farm is great as long as you have no claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

State Farm canceled my home owners insurance for a claim in last 3 years with no prior claims and the new claim was CLOSED with ZERO Payments made - The CLAIM ended up not being needed. Now I can’t get insurance with other companies because they reported this. What on earth is going on in this country when people can get insured to rebuild multimillion dollar homes in coastal regions time and time again and insurance companies lock out working middle class people (my home is $140K in value) from keeping insurance and potentially my mortgage because of now not being able to get replacement insurance due to how State Farm reported a ZERO paid claim. WHERE IS GOVERNMENT REGULATION to protect consumers from these crooked companies.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

We moved to the US from England 2.5 years ago and took a renter's insurance with State Farm. We've paid around $320 per annum for the policy and, in June this year, we were broken into and needed to make a claim. First off, we thought we had a replacement policy and, yes, when we went to make the claim we're told by the agent how lucky we were to have that. The $500 deductible we swallowed only to find that this 'replacement cost' was applied only AFTER State Farm had estimated what something was worth, e.g. I had a handbag that I bought a few years ago that they estimated is still worth $250 so they'll only pay me for the amount beyond the $250! So what was the point in that.

Then, to add insult to injury, they are now refusing to renew our policy because of our claim history - $400 in total!!! So, you take out a policy to cover yourself then, when you need it, you then become uninsurable or insured at a major premium. BE WARNED ONLY USE State Farm if you NEVER intend to make a claim on your policy!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

A pipe in my kitchen ceiling went from working fine to suddenly leaking cause water to come out of the ceiling in a steady flow. The plumber found multiple holes in the pipe where water was squirting out (NOT a slow leak over time). I opened a claim and left multiple messages for the person handling my claim. I never got a return call.

When my agent bridged me into someone in the Claims Department, they spent the time trying to convince me not to file a claim as it would affect my policy. For over a month I have sate with a 4x9 foot hole in my ceiling trying to get my claim resolved. The answer I finally received was, they don't cover leaks from pipes unless the pipe explodes and water gushes out like a fire hose.

The worst part of this story is the claim that State Farm changed their policy on water damage 7 years ago! It would have been nice if they told their policy holders. I have been with State Farm for 48 years, covering 5 homes, 20+ cars, and a personal liability policy. I have never been so frustrated with the customer service of State Farm, that I will leave as soon as I am able. I recommend anyone thinking of going with State Farm, that you make sure what is and isn't covered. If you are a current policy holder, call your agent and see what you are actually covered for.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop. Called State Farm. They were on our property within a couple of hours. The agent inspected all damage done to our property and within a couple of hours he wrote us out a check to cover damages. One week later we had another storm go through with more damage to the property. State Farm was there, inspected the damage and issued a check. We were never disappointed with what they offered us to repair/replace damage. State Farm has always been there for us.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

After 27 years of loyalty to State Farm, I submitted a claim for a lightning strike to my home. The lightning strike took out 4 TVs, a computer, a phone system, a battery tender and a large pine tree. State Farm has denied my claim. Saying did not meet the deductible of $1500.00. The pine tree removal is $1100.00 by itself. The computer was over $800.00, the phone system was around $130.00 and the TVs well even at $300.00 each (just saying). I think that is well over the deductible. They offered me $120. something dollars. State Farm says, "Like a good neighbor we are there". Yeah, until something happens then they run... Don't go with State Farm... they tell you good stuff but when the rubber hits the road... they won't help.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been with State Farm Insurance Company for 20+ years. My home was built with poly-butylene pipe fittings (which had a class action suit in the early 2000). Recently, the fittings began to break successively. I had filed a claim in 2009, for the same problem. However, the agent at that time was being replaced with another agent. Therefore, the claims form that I should have filed were either not submitted or dropped through the cracks in the transition.

Recently, I have had three pipe fittings break successively. The last break caused water damage to my hardwood floors. As a result, I filed the claim and the process began. Then the claim adjuster informed me that after researching my files, it was noticed that I did not file a claims report. They realized that they issued funds for the work, however, it could be that I did not have the work performed. They will not pay for the same repairs twice. It is their duty to save the company money. After exhausting all avenues, I thought that problem was resolved. Received the go ahead to start the repairs (which would be in excess of the amount of my deductible and more). To my dismay, I received two individual packets from them in the mail today with forms for the repairs done in 2009.

Last week I went to the bank that I have my accounts with and requested if they could give me copies of my statements for two months in 2009. I was informed that they maintain records for a seven year period. Mind you, I had also told the adjuster that I had a written statement from the person that replaced the hardwood floors in my home. The agent stated that's not necessary. Now I am getting mixed signals. Therefore, as a result of the inconsistencies within the company and the lack of really being "a good neighbor", I am in search of a new company. The pre-work that has already been done is not far from exceeding my deductible. Their estimated cost for the work is above the depreciated cost amount allotted. After this, I will no longer be insured by them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My husband has had State Farm for many, many years. We recently had a pipe burst in the house, and State Farm tried everything they could think of to not cover the damages. They ended up paying, but only because our local State Farm guy really helped push it through. If he had not have been our agent, we would not have gotten squat.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I just wish the deductible were lower, not always one has $1,000 laying around. I started with a $500 many years ago and never filed a claim, so why up the amount. $500 vs $1000 is a no brainer, and it isn't only this insurance company, all the others have this high deductible.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I had been allowing my nephew to live in my home. I made some changes to his conditions that required me to take the key from him the night before he robbed me. Upon filing my claim with State Farm, they informed me about a clause in the contract, which I did review and didn't think it applied. State Farm didn't budge on their position and their representative barely offered sympathy. I contacted the MN Attorney General and claim honored.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I live in a new subdivision in Sycamore, IL. My husband before he died has been a customer with State Farm for more than twenty-five years. My home currently has damages to the front of my home and State Farm will not cover it. I am pretty devastated that they won’t help me out. All that money I put into my homeowners policy is useless...

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have been a State Farm customer for 25 years. All vehicles, 2 rental houses, and my home owners policy. On one of my rental properties, State Farm forced me to put a new roof on in 2009 or they threatened to cancel my policy. During an extremely cold winter, a pipe busted and State Farm paid out around 10k for water damage. In 2016 a huge storm came in and damaged the roof I had replaced in 2009... So State Farm had to replace it. Now all the sudden, they do not want to renew the policy. They take our money monthly, then after an act of God, they want to not renew. There should be something illegal about this practice! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I had a lightning strike near my home a year ago in the middle of night. It caused all devices connected to low voltage (coax, ethernet) to be ruined. Requested to file a claim. The claim agents required that someone certify that the damage was the result of a lighting strike. No one will because no one was there (besides us) to certify the damage was from lighting. Everyone who came to look at/repair/replace devices all said it was likely from the lighting strike but could not certify so since they were not there at the time. I gave up and discontinued to pursue the claim. No payments were made.

1 year later, we're ready to purchase a home and State Farm will not provide home owners insurance on the new home since we had filed a claim within the past 5 years. So we're punished twice. First for having a claim that should have been covered but impossible to get paid for. 2nd for not being allowed a home owners policy for simply submitting a claim. Overpaid for the insurance that will not honor their policy. Simple Fraud is what I call it. But that's ok, the experience led me to another insurance provider that gave me a great rate for the home owners policy + saved me $950 annually on my auto policy as well. Thank you State Farm for being such jerks you drove me away after 10 years with you. Now I'm saving more money with an agent that actually cares.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Beware, they wont refund you even after you canceled it seems. Had them for like 10 yrs total... About 5 yrs my agent retired and they transferred me to a new agent. Ok. All seemed fine for several yrs then he went on to corp level or something and they brought in an agent from Suffolk, Va that argued with me that I was under insured on my house at 173+k.... It's a 1939 1084sq ft home vinyl siding... Come on!!! It don't cost 220k to build 1100sqft!!! That was last fall. This yr he or state farm drops the amount by 100.00. Hmm ok then ups my auto insurance 100 every 6mo after I dropped 1 of my 3 cars... Reason!!! "My zipcode"... So I went looking for a new company...

On 4/3/17 they took full payment from my escrow account on my home mortgage. Wont due til the 28th. I told them on the 18th I will not be renewing, they said nothing about already taking full payment... 3 more times since then I have canceled and been told I was getting a refund... Well now come this Friday, July the 14th. I plan on contacting and filling a complaint with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. I do not recommend this company at all! They took my money and keep acting like I never cancel it and then saying it will take like 3 weeks to send you the refund... 3 weeks goes by. I call and starts all over again!!! This is a full blown ripoff!

Original review: June 30, 2017

After 27 straight years of auto insurance with State Farm, (Snake Farm) and 10 years straight of homeowners, they canceled my homeowners policy because I had the audacity to use it. Here's the story; In June 2016 a freak hail storm hit SW Wyoming and did millions of dollars worth of damage to cars, structures etc. This is a very uncommon weather event for this area. We had damage to our roof, window screens, fence, deck, and stucco. The adjuster came out, looked at everything, took pictures, etc. He climbed up on the roof, measured it, photographed the damage, and told me there was only damage to a small area. Now I'm not a professional contractor but I have helped to install several roofs and this didn't sound right to me. I noticed the same adjuster also inspected both of my next door neighbors as they were insured with SF as well.

I asked both of these neighbors about the damage to their property and they told me the adjuster said they had minimal roof damage. I waited a few days and then I talked to some of the other people who live on the street. Turns out the people who did NOT have SF insurance were all getting new roofs while everyone who DID have SF had "Minimal damage." All of the houses on my street were built at the same time by the same contractor so isn't as if the age of the roofs or materials was a factor. I called SF and pointed out this interesting pattern and they agreed to send out a different adjuster. I made arrangements with a local contractor to be at my house when the new adjuster said he'd be there. After looking at the roof with my contractor, the new adjuster agreed that the roof would have to be replaced.

I told my neighbors who have SF to call and complain and yup, you guessed it. SF said, "Oh my goodness, the first adjuster just made an innocent mistake, (On every roof) and you need a new roof." The amount they paid me for my roof was significantly less than the actual cost, because the now ruined shingles were ten years old, and therefore not worth as much as new shingles. Apparently this is legal and every company does it, just another way you get screwed when you need your insurance. About 8 months go by and SF sends me a letter informing me that my homeowners policy will be canceled in 30 days because I had two claims. The first claim was wind damage from several years ago and they had to pay out a whopping $143. Needless to say I canceled ALL of my SF policies and I will never do business with them again.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have been a customer of State Farm over 25 years. I have never had a claim on my home insurance and one claim on my auto for $700. Every year my homeowners insurance went up and this month (06/17) my auto insurance went up over $400 for the year. When I called to inquire, I was told it was the North Carolina Insurance Commission who increase the costs. When I called the state, I was told , no, it may have gone up a little but nothing to account for that rate of increase. I called my agent at State Farm and was told, "We cannot charge more than the state allows."

Caught between the state and State Farm was not a good place to be. I now have a new insurer, better coverage and am saving over $700 on my auto and home insurance with a company who customer service ratings are far superior to State Farm. I do not know what has happened in the State Farm company as they used to be able to talk with their customers, explaia````n what was going on and always provided the most reasonable cost insurance. That company seems to have gone away.

Original review: June 22, 2017

State Farm handled our homeowner's insurance claim in bad faith, refusing to address the line items in our contractor's invoice for our actual water damage, instead relying on a self-serving "estimate" from their consultant that came in thousands of dollars below actual cost. Their consultant came to our house on day 6, saw that the home was still saturated, shook our contractor's hand complimenting him on doing such a good job and then proceeded to write an estimate for 5 days drying time. Even a lay person can tell this makes no sense. State Farm also delayed our case and was unresponsive to our inquiries. State Farm took 22 days to even contact our contractor to express disagreement with their invoice (and even then, did not have specific concerns, just that the invoice was "too high") I do not recommend State Farm Homeowners Insurance. This has been a nightmare.

Original review: June 20, 2017

While on vacation in Disney on November 15, 2016, I received a call that my basement was flooded with approximately 3 feet of water. Unable to get to my home we called a friend and a company that handles these claims. The water was pumped out, my basement was gutted and fans were placed to dry the basement within a day. Because my insurance (STATE FARM) all the water damaged property had to remain in place until the auditor can inspect the property. Today is June 20, 2017 and my property is still in the same place and construction cannot start. Apparently the claims associate Debra ** believes the claim was too high and has put us through hell.

She sent a cleaning service to clean any salvageable clothes, an electronics restoration company to remove all my electronics (i.e., television, PlayStation, Xbox, etc.) and service master restoration to clean any salvageable toys, figures and furniture. It has been 7 months and I am still waiting for compensation for all my property that I had. My basement had a storage closet, full laundry room, our family room and the hot water heater and air conditioning system. ALSO, I cannot have the contractors start any work because all my property is still in the same place.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I've been with State Farm for over 37 years. I guess I only have myself to be upset at... I really expected more from a company I'd been doing business with for that long. My insurance has been rising steadily this past year. I would call often and inquire as to why it keeps going up, and I always get the same answer... It's the market. Well, that's a lie. I now have Progressive and saving myself over $30 a month. Not an introductory price. How can Progressive give me better coverage, higher amounts on everything and some extras on our RV. Also lower deductables. How can they do that and a company I've been with that long cannot. Never in all those years filed a single claim on my home. The only claim on an automobile was over 20 years ago for a deer that ran across the road into my car. It was a very low claim to boot.

So, I call the agent and he is pretty nonchalant and says, "When they raise your rates... and they will. We'll be happy to take you back. You won't have the discounts you have now of course". The SOB actually threatened me to stay. He didn't really care about me. I could easily tell that. There were several other companies that came very close to Progressive and I've also heard good things about. I've been asking the question, "Who are you insured with" to a lot of people I know. It's amazing how many are moving away from State Farm or just not happy with rising rates and customer service. I guess I'm not a "Good Neighbor".

I know companies have to raise rates, but why on people who never file claims. Criminal :( It's just sad that they can operate that way. But, that's the past and it felt really good to send my cancellation papers in and move on with life. Again, it's really all my fault for not looking sooner. I guess I was lazy. I would NEVER go back to State Farm, it's the principle of it. Best of luck.

Original review: June 8, 2017

On April 1st I signed a lease to my first home with my wife. As a requirement we needed renters insurance so I thought...Excellent! I can get that from my car insurance provider. I called State Farm to get a quote and found out that my monthly rate would stay the same because although renters insurance was about $11/month I would receive a discount for having multiple policies so I thought...Awesome!!! Long story short...from having a bill at $139 and some change I was charged $208!!! I spoke with Carol from Tony **'s office and she said..."It is what it is"!!! Carol acknowledged that I was misquoted and that it was because representative I spoke with was an after hours agent but there was nothing they can do. These people...Or at least Tony **'s office doesn't care about customer service, with a "It is what it is" state of mind. You're bound to get ripped off. Please stay away!

Original review: May 31, 2017

Initially, we called after shingles blew off our detached garage. The State Farm adjuster came out and said the damage was under our deductible. He sent us notification referring us to attached documentation. There was no attached documentation. Shortly thereafter shingles blew off our home. We again contacted State Farm and they sent out an adjuster. We assisted him in every way we could, including having my teenage son carry a ladder to our upper deck to assist him getting on our roof. After his inspect, the adjuster commented that our roof is steep and he didn't go over to "the other side" to check the roof because of the roof's pitch on our two story home. The adjuster made a comment to me about seeing hail damage on the far side of the roof. I thought nothing of it because hail is not uncommon here.

State Farm paid a claim to replace our entire roof 9 years ago after a very bad hail storm. A year later, State Farm paid for 1/2 a roof after another very bad hail storm. The adjuster asserted that we had not had the 1/2 roof replaced even though State Farm had paid for it; therefore, he deducted the amount paid on that 1/2 roof replacement from the amount State Farm would pay on our claim. We had had the 1/2 roof replaced. Because we were in the process of selling our house (there was a for sale sign in the front yard when the adjuster was there), many of my files were packed and in storage; others I had shredded because we were selling the house. Without proof that we weren't liars, State Farm refused to honor the entire claim. We spoke both with our agent and the corporate office. We questioned how their adjuster, without even going over to that section of the roof, could tell if the roof was 8 or 9 years old. It didn't matter to them.

In the future, any time we have an adjuster come to view our property, we will pay to have an expert there to make sure what the adjuster is doing, what he sees and document for us what is reasonable. We can no longer trust that State Farm is handling our claims with integrity. It's become obvious to us that integrity is not a State Farm corporate value.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I had State Farm since 1977 on my home and 1969 on car. To keep things simple someone broke into my house and stole stuff and State Farm wouldn't cover the theft. I turned them into attorney generals office and the nightmare got worse. After several years of asking them to pay my claim and by then I was on blood pressure meds and seeing a therapist because of all the stress from the robbery and State Farm not holding up to their end to pay my claim.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have had State Farm Ins. for 17 years as far as homeowner. And 20 plus with car insurance. After I filed my 2 claim one in 2014 and next in 2017 they cancel my homeowner's insurance. Stating that in accordance with the terms and conditions of policy and the laws of the state. They can cancel due to two claims being filed.

Original review: May 13, 2017

This past week I discovered a water leak under my house. I immediately called a plumber and he informed me that the drain line inside the wall for my kitchen sink was leaking. I called State Farm to file a claim under my homeowner's policy. They recommended that I contact a company to start procedures for drying the water from the affected area. I called ServPro and they came out the same day and set up their equipment. The next day I received a call from State Farm informing me that they would not cover water damage of mold that had been occurring over a period of time. State Farm would be sending an inspector to assess the situation and determine if they would honor my claim.

The State Farm inspector arrived and looked everything over and then informed me that State Farm would not do anything since their policy only covers "instantaneous water damage" i.e. a pipe bursting. The inspector told me that is was unfortunate since she could not see how I could have known about the leak inside the wall until it presented itself as a water leak under the house. I realize that every company has its policies and practices, and things are what they are, but after being a customer of State Farm for over forty years, paying premiums for Life Insurance for my wife and myself and insuring all of our automobiles and our home over that time span, words cannot express how very disappointed I am with this determination. I am sure that State Farm will gladly continue to accept my premium payments for all the policies I have with them and feel no sorrow or regret over how I have been treated.

Original review: May 12, 2017

State Farm has denied fact of unquestionable voracity. They appear to have a culture to refuse claims as a matter of policy. They are inattentive, unresponsive and disingenuous. I have lost all my possessions and told even though I was 500 miles away I am at fault. The evidence and the conclusion defy reason or integrity.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I am a 62 year old senior with failing health. I had a water damage claim after a large branch fell off a pine tree, knocking a large hole in the roof of a garage at my mountain home where I had many antiques and family heirlooms stored. I lost many wonderful antique pieces that were my mother's who died in 2013. The "claim owner" had me at first provide replacement comparables for my 140+ items, then told me that wasn't good enough, that I had to provide "sold" comparables for those items, which took me days to do. Then they said that wasn't good enough, that I needed to have all of it appraised, which I then provided the appraisal. Now, they have switched me to an independent adjuster who has harassed me endlessly, and was rude beyond measure. Even questioning why I didn't have "ordinary garage stuff" in my garage, and lambasting me for storing antiques in my garage.

He intimated I was trying to make up the claim, when it was their adjuster who found the hole in the garage roof while doing a hail inspection to begin with. I have never been treated so poorly in my many years in business. Ironically I am a personal property appraiser who has worked with State Farm and other insurance companies throughout my career, and can't believe they have sunk to such a terrible low of treating their customers this way. I filed the claim on May 1, 2015, and still as of this day have not resolved it or received payment for the antiques I lost. I have now switched insurance companies, and will never go back to State Farm. Very disappointed in their "service"!

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.
    • Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.
    • Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.
    • Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.
    • Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.
    • Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky