2. Homeowners
State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

3.7/5 (140 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

Pros

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

Cons

• Fairly high rates

Bottom Line

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Verified

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspecte...

Verified

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check.. I wasn...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: June 13, 2021

I think that the auto policy price is outrageous without insuring a vehicle for the discount. I don't think the prices are that great with a discount, BUT I have had to make a claim with my homeowner policy and they were very quick, efficient, and effective. They have an online portal to view claims. I was able to get the money owed to me from my policy within 2 weeks.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I've only had to use my insurance once, and, with one exception, they covered all the damage, reimbursing quickly, except for a small section of fence that the representative refused to pay for, insisting it was a wire fence, and not a wooden one, which made no sense as almost 600 feet of the same fence was wooden. Again, that was the exception.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have had this policy since 2015. I did have State Farm Homeowners Insurance and Automotive Insurance from 1985- 2005. I did have a claim on homeowners policy for some stolen jewelry, the claim was handled in an efficient and timely manner. I did have an issue in 2019 where they were going to not renew my policy because they said that my house was not being lived in, which was false, I could not get an answer as to where they got such information, I talked with my agent and explained that for a couple of months I did have to reside at my Mom's house due to an attack on me that caused some medical issues and doctor said that I could not stay by myself but that someone was at the house a few hours everyday, electric and water were on and neighbor's also checked on my house.

So after about another couple of weeks they reversed the decision to not renew my policy and did renew it. I had no other problems but still never was able to find out where they got information that my house was vacant. They never contacted me or my Mom to verify this. I find this very strange and curious that they would go on the assumption from unverified source instead of contacting their long term customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

State Farm has definitely met our expectations with home insurance. Our most recent experience was needing a new lining to our chimney. We didn’t expect any compensation for it but eighty percent was covered. When our basement flooded, State Farm came through for us. When our sunroom needed extensive repairs, State Farm paid for half of the repairs and labor. I recommend this company to any homeowner.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

It's been a few years since a tree fell into our house, and at the time I had heard a lot of negative things about State Farm. However, while it took the adjuster a couple weeks to get to us, he was quick, thorough, and honest about what to expect. We received our adjustment reasonably quickly and without further problems. They were there for us when we needed them!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am giving 1 star because there is no 0 star option. We have had State Farm homeowners insurance for 30 years. In June of 2017 we moved to rural Livingston County Michigan. We only have 1 "close" neighbor, whose house is less than 200 feet from ours, & we both have State Farm for homeowners insurance. After a storm containing 1 1/2" to 2" hail came over our houses on June 12th, 2021 our neighbor had a roofing contractor inspect their roof. I had them also check ours. They informed us that we both had severe hail damage, so we filed claims.

Inspectors came out for State Farm. Our neighbor had no problem & had their whole roof replaced, while State Farm's Claims department says our houses has NO hail damage. I have pictures and videos of the hail that was hitting our house. The roofing contractor we're working with has been out 3 times, taking pictures of different 10x10 roof sections each time as required. They submitted around 100 pictures, including closeups of each strike and wide angle drone pictures of our entire roof. State Farm's Claims Department is still denying my claim.

We have had 3 houses over the past 30 years, all with State Farm coverage. We've been fortunate enough to never needing to file a claim up until now. State Farm has taken our money for 30 years, but the first time we actually need their services they are denying us. We will be changing our Insurance Company because from my experience they are not " Like A Good Neighbor" as they claim.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

After paying for home insurance for almost 15 years, had a problem in the property. Evidences were requested and provided, however, claim was denied. State Farm team have "2 kinds" of customer services very well trained. One is to trap you to pay for an insurance, which they will 'love' your premium payments on time. The second is strongly trained to try to deny claims at any cost. Using all possible tools they have.... Remember the cartoon 'The Incredibles'? Exact same thing.

Please read always the lowest stars reviews before sign for your new or next insurance company. State Farm, NEVER more.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I gave a rating of 4 due to the original quote changed on me. I need to look again for a better rate. The original quote was $228.04 per month, then it changed to $324.33. I hope the monthly fee will be $228.04 as quoted to me. Thanks!!!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Love the bundle options to help save. Wish the roadside service was quicker. Competitive rates around. Have been with them for 4 years. Downside the rates change by a few dollars every month. Wish it was consistent but it’s only a few dollars and goes up and down. Evens out in the end I believe.

Original review: May 11, 2021

We have been loyal State Farm customers for 30 years and thought loyalty actually mattered to State Farm. We got a rude awakening after a pipe broke at our lake townhome and caused water damage to our neighbors unit also. The pipe break was no fault of ours or the neighbors. After 3 personal vehicle premiums and 2 current home premiums, State Farm decides to deny the $12,000 claim for our neighbors damage. We have a $5000 deductible so we are getting a check for $407. Thank goodness this did not happen at our primary home, I have ZERO faith in State Farm Insurance anymore! I am going to be canceling every policy we have with them and go with a company that actually cares about their customers!!

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information