State Farm Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have been with State Farm Home for 23 years (Home and Cars). We had a claim during hurricane Mathew. We had eight solar panel ripped of the roof and multiple leaks inside our home. The agent told us to replace each individual shingle where holes were made (about 60 holes). He estimated partial roof repair costing just over $13,000. Our deductible was approx. $7,000. So you think State Farm would write a check for about $6,000; but nope, State Farm wrote me a check for about $1,000 and told me to make the repair and the apply for the remaining. What a rip-off. Very disappointed with State Farm!!!

11-12-2016 I had to file another injury claim. In fact this the 2nd injury claim and the 3rd person to fall at my property due to water damage claim which I reported the claim on 8-22-2016 because I have a contract with Hiller who comes out every three months to service my home and the same with Servall too. I have had to delay these two companies for their route duties to my property. All I have to say if you want a company who DOES NOT CARE get State Farm. There is NO excuse for delays in checks for repairs and reimbursement and State Farm refused to make reservations for our family a hotel. I had to pay for all hotels, all my repairs, and still today with estimates that have been sent to State Farm from me, other companies, and contractors.

State Farm knows I have been out our home since 8-2016 due to water damage. I have a claim in fact claims and still today no check for full estimate and NO Claim Department staff has come out since 9-9-2016. I have call sent TN Insurance Commission, Consumer Affair, BBB, NAACP, TN Attorney General Marsha Blackburn, and complaints to State Farm. As of today 2-17-2016 after reporting a second injury claim about representative from Home Depot falling Bathroom collapsed and she went down. I call ambulance and call State Farm. Established 2nd injury claim, assigned Mrs. ** and the 1st injury a month ago. I was assigned to Mrs. Vera **. I have been refused refunds of money. I have paid out of pocket since 8-2016, and I have receipts to show the expenses, and I believe I am entitle to have my home repairs done in a timely fashion.

I have paid State farm all premiums for 2016. In fact my policy expires 12-2016 and my home estimates were sent. Check from State Farm do not reflect enough to remodel for water damage, my crawl space bathroom kitchen flooring walls etc. I HAVE A CLAIM I PAID ALL 2016 FEES to State Farm. What else am I to do??? AVOID STATE FARM.

8-22 they refer ServPro who left a mess and I had to pay out of pocket to remove items they left behind. ServPro used my electricity and NOT their generators. Left toilet on front porch sink on my patio. ServPro sloppy and came for quick check for less than 5000. I even had to relocate from TN to Indiana since homeowner water damage claim. Surprise...State Farm paid ServPro for very poor work ethics. State Farm DID NOT have my 2016 car covered with auto coverage I purchased on 8-16-2016.

Call local agent Freemyer and he did not cover my car. I have two different effective dates for one car and I request my policy and they sent some other family homeowner policy from KY to my Tennessee address. PLEASE LIKE CONTRACTORS TOLD ME STATE FARM DO NOT PAY. Avoid State farm. This company has a problem. Too many mistakes, delays, excuses and several lies I have caught them in. I have just paid to get my home repairs done since it will be 90 days on 11-20-2016. IT'S A SHAME TO BATTLE A COMPANY. I even gave on 9-28-2016 my deductible to local agent in Clarksville and office did not take payment but take monthly payment for home policy on 10-28-2016 for 11-2016 and 12-2016 premiums.

My father, who is 86 years old, an honorably discharged veteran (CSM, Ret), has heart issues, dementia and a home in outstanding condition, has had this insurance on his home and cars for 38 years. We estimate he has paid at least $60,000.00+ in homeowners' premiums over those years. In the last 10 years he has had 4 claims which cost this company less than $12,000.00. 3 of those claims were due to Oklahoma weather and winds (like we can control that). They also count 2 claims against him that they didn't pay 1 cent on!

Last month they refused to renew his policy because of "Too many claims"! WHAT IS INSURANCE FOR!!! Icing on the cake... his agent of 38 YEARS filed 1 appeal and then basically said, "Sorry, you're on your own." He offered no other help at all!!! Not even a suggestion of who to call for a new policy. My sister made calls all the way up the ladder at STATE FARM INSURANCE, only to be continually told basically "Too bad, so sad." We contacted the INSURANCE COMMISSION for help.

Yesterday (30 days later) I was told "It's a non-renewal, not a cancellation, we can't help you." So today my sister called to get coverage with another company we had previously gotten a quote from. GUESS WHAT... dad's policy lapsed while we were fighting this, SO NOW THEY WON'T INSURE HIM!! Not once, at any time, did anyone caution us not to let the policy lapse. Now we are scrambling to find insurance coverage, hoping that we won't have to settle for State Insurance! So here's a big shoutout to STATE FARM INSURANCE... for taking dad's money for 38 years and then dumping him when they had to pay something. Hope the shareholders appreciate his money!

We recently filed modest a house storm damage claim with State Farm which they OK'd and paid, but then promptly canceled our homeowners policy. This after 35+ with their company! We've noticed that SF has changed over the past 5 years, for the worse. It's nothing like the company we once dealt with. They are now a "use it and lose it," company. That is, if you file a claim, even if legit, you'll likely get canceled. I'd go somewhere else if I were you.

My now husband and I's house caught fire a year ago on November 10th. My husband went through State Farm for all of his insurance needs. When our house burnt down (my daughter's humidifier caught on fire which took the entire house down with it). The insurance company did not cover my things because my husband and I were not married yet and I didn't have renters insurance. I have two kids both under the age of 4 at the time. They told me when they got settled with the humidifier company that they would let me know what I could do to get some type of settlement for my things. They said "I can piggy back off of State Farm".

It has been a year and we have called numerous times, trying to find out information and we have never gotten a callback. We have left a ton of messages and still nothing. It doesn't impress me that they won't give me a callback, and they are treating us like we don't matter. There are a million people who pay for insurance every month and don't put in any type of claim...and the ones who actually have to use what we all pay for get tossed around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

My dad "had" been with State Farm since he got out of the service in 1954. He recently purchased a new mobile home and wanted to be insured by State Farm. I sent pictures of the home and obtained a Homeowner's Policy in the beginning of July 2016. In early October of the same year, we received a letter that the policy was being terminated unless he put new support on his carport. State Farm was kind enough to give my 86 year-old father exactly 1 week to research, get an estimate, and have the work done. Needless to say, I canceled his policy that night. By the way, in all the years he's had a Homeowner's Policy with State Farm, he's not filed a single claim.

Decided to review my policy. Upon review I noticed my deductible increased to 1/2% of value of my home & premium increased about 30%. I called State Farm to find out why. They said they sent a letter out several months ago explaining it with option to keep deductible the same as previous. This was on the 5 page of many pages. You would have to really look hard to find this. Letter stated no real reason just it was up.

I have had 1 small $1,700 claim in 11 years. So the reason the agent gave me was my homes value is more than when I bought it. Well I've tried selling my home twice in the past 2 years for less than what I paid and never got any interest. I believe State Farm is doing customers injustice and taking advantage by making policies complicated and intentionally deceiving customers. Agent said they notified the mortgage company about the increase and they ok'd it. Well I pay the premium and should have been asked too. I will post more after I get a legitimate answer.

Being yelled at and disrespected by an Independent Adjuster for State Farm was both threatening and upsetting. My adult son twice asked him to stop raising his voice and to give me an opportunity to speak. The adjuster continued to raise his voice and then walked out without answering my questions. He was by far the worst representation of how to treat another human being let alone a paying customer. I expect the CEO of State Farm to personally reach out to me with an apology and explanation about the practices that resulted in selecting and training this person to interact with customers. After the Adjuster inspected our roof for hail damage, he explained that while our roof had visible damage and offered his opinion of the cause.

He said, the damage he observed was most likely not caused by hail. In other cases, similar damage was caused by contractors walking on the roof, someone scraping lichens off the roof, or has poor workmanship during the roof installation. His comments insinuated that our contractors caused the damage or that we walked on the roof and caused the damage. He said that it is unlikely lichens since we don't have tall enough trees. I tried to ask him how he decided that it was the contractor or us that caused the damage. To me, he insinuated that we hired a poor contractor or damaged the roof on our own. He never allowed me to ask my question because he raised his voice and continually talked over me. In the absence of other evidence, I can only conclude that State Farm has no interest in providing good customer service.

This is regarding an auto accident where your member hit my car that was parked. Because I am not able to have insurance of my own they would not pay for the insurance on the rental. But the little ** girl who car was also hit along with mine and my car was newer and of much more value was able to not only get a rental but not a little jetta that was only available to me said by Hertz... I'm so sick of racism and bias behavior by everybody, everywhere. But you eat our food, listen to our music, use our language, even try to be hip... but you don't like ** people.. SMH.

I live in Oklahoma and the state has had numerous earthquakes in the past few years. I've had earthquake insurance added to my homeowner's policy in the last 2 years. We had, for our area, a major seismic event on September 3, 2016. It being Labor Day weekend I called State Farm claims and left a message. A man did call me back within 24 hours. A investigator came out that week and took numerous pictures and measurements. I was told a Structural Engineer would also need to come out and do an evaluation. He came a week, on a Monday, following the event. He told me State Farm would have his verbal report in the next day or 2 and his written within the week. I attempted to follow up online with my claim. That has not been updated since the first week. I called the structural engineer once a week for 2 weeks. He never returned my phone calls. I called my agent again this past Friday. It's been 5 weeks since the claim was made.

I'm suppose to find out today if they're going to help me with repairs. Their customer service has been lax and haphazard. The claim site has not been updated, the State Farm investigator has been abrupt and not forthcoming with updates. My house is listed for sale and the earthquake damage has lessened the value. I really hope they pay, as I have already invested the earthquake insurance deductible into repairs. Very poor service indeed and this is before I find out if there is going to be any reimbursement.

Last year my dog was protecting the property and unfortunately bit a neighbor. I placed a claim with State Farm which they paid out less than $2,500 in medical bills. I'm on a fixed income so this was more than I can afford. I have been with State farm for over 20+ years and they cancelled my policy. As a senior citizen on fixed income this is devastating. When I spoke to the agent they never warned me that by placing a claim they will cancel me if not I would have looked into other options.

A State Farm Fire and Casualty customer since 1974. This summer, while I was out of town, high winds and hail damaged houses within a 5 mile radius of my house. Came home, saw all of these contractors in the neighborhood, and sure enough hail damage. Small tree fell onto my shed, roof damage, gutters, all about $10,000. 2 months later, State Farm notifies me it will cancel my account as of Sept 30, 2016. WTHeck? I call my agent, who says he was recently canceled as well, and had to appeal. Seems State Farm has a new underwriting computer system and it is taking a hard line on homeowner's insurance. He said there was little he could do. WTHeck? Like a good neighbor, State Farm is no longer there. Insurance as long as you don't use it. The image of being there for you is gone.

My agent's advice (someone who feels like he is more focused on building his book of business than keeping me insured) says there's little he can do. Their image is tarnished, so much for State Farm. 4 cars, 2 life insurance policies, and now I need a new home insurer. Seems State Farm, and perhaps everyone, shares their information with every other major insurance company. (So much for personal privacy.) So, it will be difficult to get homeowner's insurance from anyone given State Farm shares they have cancelled you. You trust, you pay, and they let you down. Customer service? The agent doesn't pick up the phone, it goes to SF support center, who can't help you. Value? Well I used to get great value, but this appears to be the new State Farm Coverage? Whole house fire and casualty.

Will not pay on legitimate claims. I provided receipts for items stolen. They keep asking for additional information that was provided. It became obvious that they are crooked and did not want to pay. I have had to file a lawsuit against them. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. CHECK ALL THE BAD REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET.

My family and I have been fighting with State Farm since June 7 about our roof claim. I have had the same 2 insurance adjusters to my home 4 times in 3 months. Our home is unlivable, due to black mold, which is caused from the roof leaking in multiple places. We have an estimate for the roof for $8300, an estimate for mold removal for $4800. And State Farm has only given us $3500. They said the roof ISN'T leaking, there's only one shingle out of place, and the claim is now closed. We are now renting a trailer 11 miles from home, which took 3 months to get. Before that, we were living back and forth between a tent in our front yard, hotels, and friends and families' couches. Our 14-year-old son fell in April and fractured his hip. Black mold causes Myosotis, weakened bones.

Our 16-year-old daughter is in remission of stage IV Burkitt's Lymphoma cancer, which is caused from Mono, and a weakened immune system (very possibly from the black mold). We need justice. This is wrong. In February 2010, we had a claim with State Farm, because our bedroom carpet and corner wall was wet. They said it was where the snow was melting and leaking under the shingles. We had to replace carpet, drywall, and insulation. It's doing the same thing again. State Farm is trying to get me for insurance neglect (fraud), saying it was NEVER repaired. All they have to do is tear into the drywall. They'll see it's different insulation, drywall, etc. They just don't want to pay. The center walls, around the AC unit and hot water tank are all needing replaced, due to the leaking. If it had been fixed 6 years ago, it would have never been this bad. And my family wouldn't be so sick.

After 31 yrs paying for coverage of my mobile home, I found out that if you are paying, for example $20,000 coverage, you will not get $20,000 if something happens. You will get what they say it is worth at that time, and to top it off, they just went up $20.00 per quarter on my ins. My agent Jim ** of Greensboro, NC was disrespectful and after 31 yrs just ask me did I want to cancel!! And I did!!! He did not seem to care. I guess business with me for 31 yrs and living in a mobile home did not mean anything to him. I am just a retired U.S navy man with 32 yrs service to my country and where I live didn’t mean much to him. I can’t say on here the language I learned while I was in the navy... I am getting my ins with the Foremost Insurance co now and they pay the amount that you are insured for and paying for. If you have State Farm, change ins today!!!

Have had State Farm for 30 plus years. Home Insurance: Went to file a claim when First Energy's transformer was not maintained and a large limb fell on the line coming out of it creating short circuits throughout our home and damaging our stove, fridge and garage door opener. The agent said it would be in our best interest not to file as State Farm would raise our rates. Auto: Bought a new car and our insurance went up a whopping $80.00 per month for a mere 4 door sedan. BILLING! Due to their insurance tactics, we ended our coverage and found way better rates with same coverage from various companies. Someone at their office didn't cancel our insurance when our new insurance (other company) started and they billed us for an additional month. They deducted directly out of our account but WOULD NOT put it directly back in and it was 2 weeks before they sent our money that didn't belong to them.

I've got a new 3 year old cat, had it in the room. He pull the vent and went inside and would not come out. At some point the cat died. I tried to get somebody to find it. Pest company was able to find it and it was in the furnace. They cut it out then they disposed of it. There was a lot of body fluid In the fan and furnace. The cat had also broken heating coils. The furnace and HVAC company came out and gave me a price to clean and repair, also clean the ducts. After paying on this house for over 7 years State Farm like a bad neighbor refused to help in any way. They said if it had been a raccoon, possum, rat or other animal they would cover it. As soon as I get new Insurance I will be happy to cancel my homeowner's and both my cars insurance.

State Farm refused to offer a quote because I had a windstorm damage claim in the last 5 years. And the best part they send an email saying they will not be able to provide a quote because of the claim.

I have been with State Farm for a few years now. I am a tenant in a home that had water damage from the upstairs bathroom through the 1st floor bathroom causing water loss and damage to my things. The inside adjuster is great with me, but Ben from State Farm couldn't see where the leak was coming from. He then says "till you know where I'm red flagging your claim due to a prior renter water loss basement flood!" Really.

I'm a renter who carries renters insurance for that reason, they take the money, so he kept on discriminating a prior water loss and put it under investigation. I think he's as well racist cause him and my Landlord were fine but I'm the insured, how am I suppose to know where the leak is coming from? Isn't it their job to send out a professional? Then he says "you're our insured, you're our priority, our priority turned into find out what cause us (There's visible water damage)." Until cause is known???? What the hell you're smoking? Get these damn rookie racist adjusters out.

After a catastrophic storm in Ohio and several other states we had damage to 2 apt. roofs. We called immediately to file a claim after the roofer told us about the damage and cost. We never heard from State Farm so we called our agent who then called the person handling the claim. We finally heard from them about a week after filing the claim. The adjuster then called the next day and said it would be 2 more weeks before he could make it to our location. After the inspection the adjuster said they only would pay for 1/2 the roof because the damage had to be visual, like roofing missing. Part of the roof was missing but the other section had sections that was raised up in the air and when you pulled up on the sections it showed they was not attached to the building.

It was like they was just laying on the building and had been pulled away from the wood. He said that if he could not see visual damage they would not pay. The roofer told him that if it was not fixed that the next wind would rip it off. The adjuster did not care to even take a closer look but went on his way and said what he says is what he will claim. We have called the overseeing agent in another state and have not been able to reach him nor have we received a call from him. The roofer said we should not let this pass because there is a problem with the total roof. The adjuster has called me already and said he will issue a check for the amount he said and will not wait til we discuss it with the other agent. This adjuster acts as if he is God and makes the last decision so we will see what happens.

State Farm put my family through years of stress. After Storm Sandy blew huge trees onto my house, crashing into our kitchen, a bedroom and a bathroom leaving so much damage inside and out, we did what we were suppose to. Called the next day to put in our claim, took pictures of all the damage we could find and waited for State Farm to come do their inspection. State Farm thought $20,000 was fair. Knowing that amount was a ridiculous amount to repair everything, we had to hire others to help us. We had 3 different people go through our home to do estimates for the repairs. All three estimates came in well over $100.000. Even the people that came in to inspect my home for a state grant that I applied for found that the damage they would repair was extremely higher.

Keep in mind a state grant will only make repairs to make your house livable. For example: Sandy destroyed our deck. The grant would only pay to put cement stairs out the doors, instead of replacing the deck. Still, to just make my house livable the state grant decided the repairs would cost $70,000. It took my family, Adjusters, Appraisers and Lawyers three years to come to a conclusion. Exhausted, we ended up settling for way less than even our lowest estimate. We had to pay the adjusters, the appraisers and the lawyers, but without them we would have been stuck with the initial amount State Farm wanted to give us. We settled with State Farm and returned the grant money. State Farm has been our insurance company for over 15 years. We had one claim and that was Storm Sandy! It has been an awful and outrageous experience and I'm glad that part is finally over. We are still repairing our home and it’s been almost 4 years!

I was a customer of State Farm for over 52 years. My auto insurance went up twice last year, the last time $10.00 per month or $120 years. I have not had any claims and when I asked my agent about the discounts I received which are not broken down monetarily on my bill, he could not tell me. I then began to search for another company. In April I called State Farm to cancel my insurance on both of my autos and my homeowner insurance. I was due a 1 month refund on the auto and a 6 month refund on my homeowners. I received the checks for the auto last week after several calls to State Farm customer service. I called today to inquire about my homeowners refund and after talking with an inept person, was transferred to a supervisor (?).

I was told that they could see where I had called in April to cancel as of May 2 and had made several other calls since that time, that I was told my homeowners cancellation was in line to be reviewed by the underwriters department on July 15th and I would get an answer then. What answer! I want my check. They are not paying me interest. I asked why it took so long and they said that they take them as they come in and they are behind. So it has taken over two months to be put in for review on July 15th. I guess that proves that State Farm has a lot of claims to review and are not in any hurry to refund money due to me. I have never been treated so rudely by a company in my life. We had the same agent for over 50 years until he retired. He cared about his customers.

The agent that I had could not answer why my insurance went up other than that I live in Maryland and Maryland has a lot of claims, although not from me. I asked how the discounts were figured out and exactly what each was, not a total. He could not tell me. He said State Farm does not share that information with their agents. The last I heard from him through the secretary was that he could not do anything for me unless I lowered my coverage. What about all the advertisement about Discount Double Check that could save me over $400.00? I am so disappointed in State Farm. Not only for myself, but for my entire family who I steered to State Farm. What a way to treat their customers.

I have filed a claim with Maryland State Insurance Commissioner about the rate hikes and was told that State Farm put in two request for rate increases, one in November of 2015 which was approved and one in December of 2015 which had not been approved when I received my bill in March of 2016. I was told that State Farm could charge the new rate in hopes that it would be approved. I asked how I would know if it was not and was told that State Farm would notify me and refund any overcharge. Fat chance.

My husband has had State Farm Insurance for 37 years and never looked elsewhere for insurance in those 37 years. We have had Renters, medical, our homeowners insurance and our vehicles and our 4 children's vehicles when they became 16 covered by State Farm over the last 37 years. We also had a life insurance policy on me. May 2015 we had a wind storm that blew off part of our roof. We made a claim and had the roof replaced and paid with our own money to have gutters replaced. We had a 1,100 deductible. In September 2015 our house caught on fire. It was an electrical fire in the attic and luckily we came home and called 911 and so it was not a total loss. The house was repaired and finished in December. In January 2016 my husband was diagnosed with a rare incurable neuromuscular disease. He had to go on disability.

It was devastating to us and difficult to deal with the uncertainty of what the future held for us. Then the stress added to us when State Farm dropped our homeowners insurance in March 2016 and we had 30 days to find new insurance. The stress of being turned down by insurance companies over and over again because of claims that we had no control over was devastating as well. We did finally find insurance but because of the disease my husband has and what we went through because of State Farm we decided to sell our home and move in with our son. Then to top it off State Farm raised our car insurance because we no longer had homeowners insurance with them. We changed car insurance to another company and it saved us some money.

We paid monthly for our State Farm insurance and when we added vehicles we always had to pay in advance but when we got a refund from State Farm it wasn't but 70 some dollars and we were told by our agent that we skipped months but that didn't make sense because our payment was automatically pulled out of our checking account every month. Every time I see a State Farm insurance company commercial I get so angry and upset all over again. I have been told over over again by other people that is what all insurance companies do. I can't understand how they can get away with putting people through the stuff we have been through. And then they lie in their commercials. This should be against the law. I realize State Farm didn't cause my husband's disease but his disease gets worse because of stress so he was worse dealing with the stress State Farm caused.

April 28, 2014, our house was hit by a tornado, which torn off of our roof, lifted the same corner of our house 3 inches, and rain poured for days (even though we tried to keep tarps on it). Long story short, they fixed the roof ($7000) and paid for the contents destroyed by the incoming rain in our master closet. Then their claws came out. What a week ago had been called a tornado, now they started referring to it as a "wind event." Their engineer claimed our house was settling that's why it's not level. When does a house settle upwards 3 inches? They refused to discuss it. The entire house is level and plumb except the corner of the house where the roof tore off! Also, all the water that came into our house damaged the wiring, making our electricity surge randomly, which in turn has caused most of our appliances to burn up. Electrician said our house is a fire waiting to happen.

State Farm apparently "owns" most of the state of Tennessee. We never found a single contractor who would even come out to give us estimates on repairs when they found out our insurance was State Farm. They want to keep their options open for working for State Farm in the future. We finally found one engineer who would come out to give us his opinion. He agreed with us in person but later during depositions (yes, we sued State Farm), being less experienced than the expert State Farm uses regularly, our engineer was considered "less believable."

We were told that if we went to court, the jury would most likely believe the State Farm expert over our expert. We ended up settling with State Farm for pennies. I'm beyond angry and disgusted!!! We have been with State Farm for about 15 years. Small claims on home or cars, they were great but watch out when you have a big claim. They have NO INTENTION of paying anyone other than their own engineers and attorneys. They will figure out a "legal" way of not paying you.

Hello, I am writing to you in regards to a claim I filed for Hail Damage to my car. I live in Nashville, TN - Mt Juliet at the time of the damage. I was in the process of moving on May 10th, 2016 and was unable to park my car in my garage due to a large amount of items in my garage to be hauled off on May 11th, 2016. Of all nights to have to park in the driveway it was the night we had a very bad storm with large jagged hail. This hail was not your average round hail. I stood in my garage watching it pound away at my car.

Because I was moving, I just did a quick look from a distance to see if I had dents. I had quite a few but decided to wait until I had closed my current home and my new home. I closed on my current home on May 20th and my new home. Then I had the task of moving out, moving in, a lot of work. When I finally had a chance to wash my car I then noticed hundreds of paint chips in the hood of my car along with dents. So on the following Monday I call my agent Darian ** (Was Carolyn ** when I moved to the Nashville/Mt. Juliet Area in April of 93). I have comprehensive coverage on my car so it was covered. I took my car to Apple Collection which is where I had taken all of my cars for the past 10-15 years if I was in need of repairs. I dropped it off on Monday June 20th and it is still there due to the adjustor insisting that I have rock damage on the hood.

This is the problem I have with that statement. First of all, if I had already had that much rock damage, I would have already taken my car to be repaired because it is covered. Second, I purchased my car on 1/30/2014. The mileage on my car was 76,000 and today it has 86,000. I drive to work and home (6 Miles one way) on Lebanon Rd. - no highway or expressways. In order to have that much rock damage I would have had to be hit by rocks at least 50% percent of the times I drove and I would think if that many rocks had hit my car I would have one or two times had a busted windshield. My car still has the original windshield with no damage. The third thing is your adjusters are basically calling a long time customer a liar.

This is unacceptable! They have told me I will have to submit another claim for rock damage which I refuse to do (even though it is covered) because the damage to my car is NOT rock damage. I am very disappointed with the service I have received and will be considering changing insurance company after over 25 years with this agency.

Last fall our home was damaged by hail. The roof style is an antique slate. The tiles are fragile and several shattered during the hail storm. The roofer we consulted recommended roof replacement. We were told by State Farm representatives both on the phone and in person that it could only be repaired, not replaced. (Even before damage was evaluated.) The claim representative took a piece of tile from our yard and found a company he says will make repairs and match the Roof style. I've contacted this company on 3 occasions. They have not answered any of our questions and are not willing to do the repair work. The claim representative has told us that we cannot use the contractor we hired and signed an agreement with. We are in the position of deciding to reroof the whole house or try and find a company who will make repairs. Either way State refuses to cover the damage from the hail.

I recently reviewed my home owners insurance from State Farm. My home is worth 292k. This is what I found. State Farm adds base insurance at 292k then adds external for 30k then adds contents of home for 290k, liability for 100k, medical for $1000. Here is the problem - I don't have external attachments like a garage or shed. I live in a town home. Also, the entire contents of my home might be worth about 40 to 50k. This is not fair and I am being charged for what I don't even own. I called State Farm and they said this is generic for all customers irrespective of how or what their home or its contents are worth. This is unfair.

I was rear-ended by a person that had insurance through State Farm. I immediately obtained an attorney. The claims representative was so rude to my lawyer calling her and me both liars. I went through 4 months of therapy and they are stating I wasn't injured. How do they know I wasn't injured? I have doctors reports and proof and they are still fighting me on this. Pray you never have to deal with these rude people, and DON'T get insurance through them. They are scam artists. I don't know how these people go home and sleep at night after treating people SO badly!

I only picked one star above because I could not pick none. 29 years as State Farm policyholders and they dropped us! One claim in the first 25 years for under $2,000 (tornado damage). We then went 20+ years without a claim. Then we had 3 claims in less than 5 years, so they dropped us. Was it our fault that we had hail damage? We subsequently paid the additional $1,500 ourselves for the upgrade to a class 4 hail resistant roof. In 5 years since then we haven't had any hail damage (it was inspected), even though thousands of homes in the area had hail damage from 2 hail storms.

This upgraded roof would save us AND STATE FARM from hail damage costs in the future. Was it our fault that the temperature dropped to 19 degrees below zero and a pipe froze and burst? We had the new pipe rerouted 3 feet further from the outside wall (zoning codes had changed) at our voluntary additional cost. We also placed $200 of insulation around the pipe at our cost. This rerouting and insulation would save us AND STATE FARM from additional costs in the future.

The nerve of us for having the temerity to control the weather in such a manner. They cordially accepted our premium payments for 29 years just to drop us as policyholders.

Instead of judging us as having 3 claims in less than 5 years, why didn't they look at it as 4 claims in 29 years? Apparently they have the impression that they should profit from EVERY SINGLE POLICY! The upshot of all this is that the service was stellar for the first 28 years and then went to hell. With the last claim, communication sucked and we were greatly disappointed. Due to this poor service from the State Farm claims department, we were not totally disappointed to get dropped. This is hard to imagine, isn't it.

Moved from Chambersburg, Pa to Alum Bank, Pa. Rates increased almost $400 a year. When I questioned why, I was told because we moved to Bedford County Pa and their rates are higher. WHY??? I worked for a Body Shop in Franklin County Pa and saw a high rate of deer hits plus higher rates of accidents to carelessness. I know insurance companies regulate every aspect of the auto coverage. This is the problem. This should be investigated.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.
  • Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.
  • Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.
  • Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.
  • Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance