Protect what matters most

Protect my home
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
3.95/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

981 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

My house caught fire on March 21, 2019 around 5-6 PM. I call my insurance agent to notified about the fire and him Matt ** came to my home the same night to support us and to make sure we get place in a hotel until the house get restore, next day the adjuster from the insurance met with us also and together with Matt, Mrs. ** went over the policy with me and my wife and here we are in a nice hotel. Not like been home but better than been on the street or friends and family. I have my own space, they call or write to us every day to make sure we are doing alright, for me their service are triple AAA. Matt ** and Mrs. ** keep the good work and service.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We’ve had State Farm since moving to Arkansas about 8 years ago. Home auto and business insurance. We had pretty high winds here in Arkansas and a lot of shingles had blown off. We filed a claim and State Farm paid for total replacement for a new roof! I was very happy with their service. The adjuster came quick. The check was mailed quickly. We of course had to mail check to Flagstar Bank for endorsement also. Everything was all done roof included within 2 weeks! The check was less than 10,000 because of our deductible but it was not a bad experience for us considering it was our first claim. I’ve heard of insurances dropping you after a claim. We will see how that goes. Will update if something like that happens but So far it’s was great!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My elderly mother, who suffers from dementia, had a prized Persian carpet in her bedroom. We removed the carpet and put it into the building's communal storage room after she had a knee operation, fearing that she would trip over it. Once in storage, the carpet was moved temporarily outside on account of a leak in the storage room. While there, it was inadvertently picked up as trash since it was near some trash bags.

Fortunately, we had this particular carpet appraised and insured with State Farm and much to my surprise, State Farm agreed to reimburse us for the full value. They gave me an approval over the phone after reviewing our policy and as they listened to my story about what happened. I did not even have to submit any paperwork or formal claim. I was blown away by the gesture and by them not trying to wiggle out on the technicality that the carpet was not inside my Mom's apartment. I am a State Farm customer myself and I told the representative that given their response, they will now have me as a customer for life.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have an agent local and they take an interest in you to make sure we have enough coverage for us so if there is ever any issues we will be covered. They also offer higher coverage for jewelry, art or other different things. However, it gets very overwhelming when they talk about the down & dirty things that the insurance can or cannot cover especially when it comes to disaster coverage and then why the rates jump when we haven't had a claim. They should make things less complicated when trying to understand everything on a policy. Nevertheless, I have been with State Farm for over 40 years and don't like to change companies and don't feel others would do as great of a job as State Farm does.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check. They also secured paid hotel accommodations nearby for a week for us. They secured us a fully equipped apartment with everything from towels to silverware. We only had to buy personal items like paper goods etc, we stayed there for 8 months fully paid. Power and water and cable was paid by State Farm and the apartment.

When we finally got settled we found our home was not insured for enough and State Farm gave us 20% more than we were covered for. I don't know why some people have left such terrible reviews but I'm sure it's because of the coverage they chose. I had the best plan offered on my home and when I needed taken care of with the fire I could not have asked for better service or treatment. And my premium did not go up. I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have car insurance with State Farm for a year now. Brandon ** called me and asked me about homeowners insurance about a month ago. I paid them 2 weeks later. That was enough time to let me know that the upkeeps of my home would not be accepted. Before they take my money. They never told me that my home had to look a certain way to receive coverage. I received a letter telling me that they will cover me for the month I paid. But they couldn't give me homeowners insurance due to upkeep. But they withdraw out my banking account again. I feel like if State Farm is not going to give me insurance. They shouldn't have withdrawn out my bank account again. I ask for a refund and they refuse. I think State Farm was unprofessional and they lied to me. They should not have withdrawn from my account again.

I called to talk to Brandon **. And he never was in the office. I've talked to everyone except him. I was told someone would call me back. No one did. I had to keep calling them. I even called. Before the due date to be paid again. They withdrawn before I could talk to someone. I can't trust State Farm. That is why I give State Farm a 0-star but I had to give them a 1-star.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My family has been with State Farm for forty years. Our car insurance is categorized as 'non cancellable.' State Farm Homeowners Insurance adjusters would cheat and steal from any elderly or vulnerable person without blinking an eye. My elderly mother never filed a homeowners claim until this year for a roof. We now find out that State Farm uses a website that measures/acknowledges hail ONLY if it is 1.0" or more. So, now we have all this damage from weather and hail (smaller than 1.0") in 2019. State Farm is claiming the last hail was in 2016, therefore disqualifying her from recovering $3,000 in depreciation.

DO NOT buy homeowners insurance from this company. Several other homeowners on our street got roofs replaced based on the hail and weather occurring in 2019, with no problems. I will switch to USAA, when the opportunity arises in a few years. Do yourself a favor, stay away from this company. There is no telling what other dishonest surprises we have coming.

Original review: May 19, 2019

State Farm cancelled payment on a claim check. I have had State Farm for close to 30 years. I have never had to make a claim on my policy. In March we had very strong straight line winds in our area. The roof of my home was severely damaged with the wind plus a large tree branch was blown onto our pool collapsing it. I called my agent and they sent out an adjuster. At the same time I had a local contractor give me an estimate. I was also told to provide an estimate for replacing the pool. I had the roof replaced and sent in the bill from the contractor to State Farm. State farm refused to cover replacing some of the plywood but issued a check for the balance minus my deductible.

I received 2 checks in the mail. I assumed one was for the pool and the other for the roof since they were handled separately. I had to have the checks endorsed by my mortgage company. Once the checks were endorsed I deposited them both in my checking account. I then wrote out a check to my contractor to cover the remainder of my bill. A few days later I was looking at my checking account and found that one of the checks had been returned. I asked the bank manager to look into it and found that State Farm had actually put a stop payment on one of the checks without so much as notifying me. I was completely in shock. I had to scramble to deposit money in my checking account to ensure that the check I wrote to the contractor would not bounce. I will NEVER use State Farm again!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was a long time customer, over 25 years of home, auto, and renters insurance with State Farm Insurance. I had a claim for flood damage to my home while I was the primary resident which they fixed, although there was some fighting over the settlement. However, roll two years forward, and that same house was a rental property for 18 months, and is now being sold. But because it was a rental and not my primary residence, I am ineligible for a homeowners insurance policy on a totally new property. No explanation other than this property was a rental. My past history, good credit, years of membership, none of it had any bearing. They lost my business to USAA in 2 hours.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I'm really surprised at the high overall rating when there seems to be so many poor ratings. I've had State Farm car insurance for 10 years and luckily never had to file a claim, so I cannot speak to how reliable and fair they are when it comes to actual coverage in the heat of the moment. However, I'm in the process of buying my first home and when I looked elsewhere for homeowner's insurance my State Farm agency must have gotten pinged because she called me the next day to "see how I'm feeling about my insurance." I disclosed that I was shopping around for home insurance and looking to bundle with my auto, and she offered a package to keep me as a customer.

When I looked at the numbers (comparing to quotes from Westfield and Ohio Mutual), I was struck. While it "appeared" that I was given discounts as a member, in reality the original quote was inflated almost twice as much as the other quotes, with a rate still more expensive after discounts are applied and yet with *considerably* less coverage. That's a discount?

Original review: April 26, 2019

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because State Farm refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! State Farm is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from State Farm! For anyone considering State Farm as their insurance provider, just look into their bad faith, and how they are rated as one of the worst insurance companies ever!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have had an absolutely inhumane experience with State Farm insurance. I was sent an incompetent emergency contractor by Nu-Trend (NTC) Company that caused further damages to my hardwood flooring, did not follow the fire fighter's instructions on not turning the electricity back on in the damaged area (after an electric fire!) and perpetuate damage to household furniture and contents due to negligence, incompetent basic cleaning and in appropriate storage- all documented! Nu-Trend was rude and unprofessional in their communication. State Farm failed to take accountability for their hired company.

The adjuster I was working with was the only person who was competent and great. I appreciated his services. Unfortunately, after a few months the adjuster abruptly quit without informing me or handing my case over to anyone. Then State Farm sold our account to Desjardins! It's been 2.5 years from the date of fire, we are still not paid for repairs and household content damages and we are just told to wait for further review!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I left State Farm looking for a cheaper insurance and then all the other places raised their rates too. So I tried to go back to State Farm and they said, "No. We will not take you back." Never had a Claim in all the over 40 years I have been a customer.

Original review: March 20, 2019

They're great up front and look like the perfect company for you... We have been paying them monthly for 2 years on a lot of "ifs." But when push comes to shove they're just about keeping the easy money and won't do anything to help you through a process when you need the "if" factor they sell you on. If you have to use them buy what you need and only what need. Anything else is BS. They cover half of what the agent says they will and I will be pursuing legal action against that claim. Also avoid Sarah ** - State Farm Insurance Agent.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This is the worst Insurance Company ever. If I could give them negative marks I would. Been with State Farm for over 15 years with car and homeowners. They wrote a policy on my house and then when I made a claim they told me my pitch on my roof is off and they can't cover it. The adjuster came out to the house and told me my pitch was off in the State Farm will not cover it and that's my own problem. Never seen a dime off of that. Then when our main sewer line broke under the house 2 years later. I called they said I don't have dwelling in my Insurance policy. We replaced the main pipe and the flooring that the backup on (Our own money). Then they counted that call as a claim. This past year we had wind damage and they gave us around $200.00. This past week I get a call from my Insurance Agent saying that State Farm is canceling our Homeowners Insurance due to too many claims. It is March 20th and they are canceling it May 16th.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received a quote from State Farm for my home and Auto Insurance the end of January 2019. After this was nothing but a nightmare. State Farm switched my Home Owners insurance, without notifying they had done so. I will be filing a complaint with the State of Indiana, including all the documentation showing the Agent and State Farm lied and misrepresented themselves. I have a complete paper trail that documents State Farm Insurance is not a company you would want to do business with. State Farm reduced my Homeowners insurance from $200,000 to $36,000, and never notified me. I contacted the main office for State Farm, and they would do nothing, need to speak to the Agent.

I called the Agent Josh ** on his cell, after leaving 2 messages at his office. Did not receive a call from anyone, even though Mr. ** had plenty of time to be on Facebook. I just receive a bill from State Farm for $88.00 Premium for 2/13/19 thru 3/23/19. My escrow account paid yearly Premium as quoted of $1,200.00 on February. Even though I cancelled my Homeowner Insurance effective 12:01 am 3/12/19. I have yet to see my refund, even though I am now insured by Allstate without any issues.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was working on the inside of my home and it started to rain. Nothing unusual, except it started leaking into my house. I put a hole in the drywall to ensure it wasn't a pipe or anything like that. It was coming from the outside, not exactly sure where. Contacted State Farm and argued with the representative for hours because he wouldn't send a claim adjuster until I have proven without doubt it was damaged from the storm. How can a homeowner do that? I had multiple contractors to review and all but 1 said they would like to help me but won't work with State Farm. The only thing to do is tear up the side of my brick house to find out where water will leak.

After giving the quote to State Farm they came out, didn't look at the outside but only agreed to pay for the damage inside. Discussing with them, the call in number specialist, and their manager. I was simply told if I can't determine show them where the water came in, how it was damaged (time, day, event), prove the hole size that water could flow in, and I had to pay everything upfront to find it. After weeks of discussing, I got a letter from State Farm telling me if I didn't fix the issue of the water leaking they will cancel my insurance. I discussed this the manager and said water probably came in by poor maintenance and it is the "joys of owning a home". How do you maintenance a brick wall? My recommendation is be a good State Farm customer and find another company to deal with. They will not help and ultimately it is the homeowner's responsibility to know if anything changes outside before it occurs.

Original review: March 8, 2019

STEER CLEAR OF STATE FARM AND THIS AGENCY!!! On January 22 I was sleeping only to be awakened in the middle of the night by running water gushing from my ceiling. Apparently I had a frozen pipe. Water must’ve been running for hours and an estimated 3000 gallons of water flooded my home. I contacted my agent to report the claim. I was then contacted by State Farm claims and before they would send an adjuster or to honor my claim any further, and I have a letter that proves it, they asked me to get a plumber to the come to the home and write a written report as to why the pipe failed??? Are you kidding me?...

Under the terms on my policy, I’m covered for water damage in my primary residence, being at home with the heat on. Could not get a plumber to come to the home and write a report, and I called my agent's office several times to ask them to intervene to help send an adjuster to look at my damages. They could not and not do anything for me. Couldn’t even find me a plumber to come to my house to help me. After about a week I gave up and contacted a public adjuster who was able to help me.

When I called my agent TROY ** to intervene for me because no adjuster was coming, my house was in shambles, my fiancee was sneezing and coughing all over the house because she has asthma and is allergic to all the dust from all of the remediation fans blowing, the agent pretty much told me to go pound sand. So... because I was represented by a public adjuster... that he couldn’t do anything for me and that State Farm claims wouldn’t even take his call. That’s really great neighbor service isn’t it? Won’t even pick up the phone and try to make a call to help this customer out. Doesn’t sound like a good neighbor to me.

SINCE JANUARY 22, I don’t have an estimate from State Farm, I don’t have a check... and I have no confirmation that my claim will be paid. They did send an adjuster about 2 weeks ago (do you believe it took a month to send an adjuster to look at my damages?). And now all of sudden because I am fighting City Hall, we’re playing the old shell game... Now another adjuster been assigned to come out and look at the damages... Starting the whole claim from scratch... isn't that great service!!??

So, from January 22 there is no estimate, no promise of payment, no advice as to what to do regarding any water or mold damage, etc... no itemize list of agreed-upon damages, NO HELP FROM MY AGENT AFTER REPEATED CALLS... nothing. And to top it off most of my furniture has been thrown away because it was soaking wet and started to smell of mold. No guarantee they’ll pay for that either... I guess if it’s not here, since this new adjuster wants to start from scratch. The only two communications I received from State Farm was one telling me to get a plumber's report before they would consider the claim further, and (2) is another letter indicating that if I disagreed with their determination that I can file for arbitration. I guess I’m not the only one that receives a lousy service if they’re sending letters like that right off the bat.

If anybody expects or thinks this is a good neighbor service they are sadly mistaken. STAY AWAY FROM STATE FARM and AGENT TROY **!!! And the last thing I would do is try to piss my customer off and tell them that there’s nothing they can do. There’s always something you can do! As if I’m wrong or something because I wanted to get a public adjuster to represent me. It isn’t like I went a whole week not asking for help. When my house was flooded. Sending multiple emails to State Farm claims asking them to send an adjuster. What a God awful rotten way to treat a good paying customer. To top it all off I have a son with severe autism who is in a residential facility. I can’t even take my boy home. And no one at State Farm cares. Nobody. Signed, a frustrated customer that did nothing wrong other than call in a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was with my prior carrier for over 10 years. I kept getting postcards in the mail from local agent that could save me money. I called them and they asked how much I was paying. That was my first mistake. They were able to beat my rate and when I called my agent to cancel, he told me it was unusual for State Farm to beat their company's rates. He asked me to bring the insurance to his office when I got in mail. I did what he asked and he saw that State Farm gave me a higher deductible, less coverage on the house and rated masonry, which my house has vinyl siding. One month later I got another invoice in the mail from State Farm. I called the State Farm agent up and he said the rating was wrong. I asked if it was due to masonry and he said yes. I told him I never said it was masonry and it wasn't my fault. He said he was sorry but couldn't do anything. I canceled everything and went back to my agent who never lied to me in 10 years.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My husband and I have been with State Farm over 30 years including cars, jewelry and life insurance. After a major straight line wind and hail storm we had significant damage to our roof and windows. Our agent provided the contractor to repair all the damage. The roofing company did not use the right size nails and for the next 10 plus years we paid out of our pocket to replace shingles. We had our agent out several times to show him the shoddy work but to no avail until a roofing company contacted the claims office. The State Farm adjuster stated that was one of the worst roofing jobs he had ever seen.

The roof was replaced finally but fast forward to this past fall when we discovered the water line to our refrigerator had been leaking for no telling how long and mold was growing up the walls and cabinets. State Farm did repair everything including our hardwood floors. Our agent called us today to inform us that they were cancelling our homeowner’s policy. Really?? Like a good neighbor my foot! Morally wrong on every level. I believe State Farm owes me the premiums I have paid all these years minus what they have paid in a few claims. Why not just raise my deductible or premiums? Instead we have to spend hours searching for another carrier. To all you recent graduates headed out on your own be very careful in who you choose and I highly recommend anyone other than State Farm.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

First and only claim in twenty-two years. Hurricane Florence tore most of the shingles and paper off our fifteen year old roof. Thus allowing cascades of water to pour into our two story house damaging insulation, drywall, ceilings, floors, electrical fixtures in the majority of our home for four days before we were able to get a tarp on the roof. Dealing with State Farm nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown. Finally I had to turn all dealings with them over to my daughter just to keep from ending up in the hospital. Though she is very resourceful, she eventually hired an independent adjuster because she could get nowhere with them. We got multiple estimates. The best for the roof was $8500, for the interior work $50000. Even with the public adjuster we only ended up with $30000 total from State Farm.

We had to reach out to volunteer groups to get much of the work done as there was not enough to pay the contractors. They did do a fine job. After four months we are still displaced. Additional living expenses are not forthcoming. We are two months behind in the rental and have to yet to get any payment for dry cleaning, utilities, gasoline, or food. The monies were made out to us, and the mortgage company so now we are having to jump through hoops to get the money from them. A very knowledgeable help desk said that they didn't know how to deal with this as they had not seen any other insurance company make out checks this way. Bottom line? Stay away from State Farm!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I handled a homeowner's insurance claim on behalf of my uncle who was hospitalized at the time, and the total related costs to repair his house were $45,000. After paying insurance premiums to State Farm for over 30 years, this was the first claim ever made on his policy. They canceled his insurance policy immediately after the claim was filed and only paid $25,000 of the claim when I was ensured in the beginning that he had coverage for the actual cost of the repairs. The adjuster simply said that State Farm feels that my contractor's fees were too high for what they thought were reasonable, so we're just out the money that we paid for the repairs. They didn't offer any assistance in finding a contractor that would work for half price, and I chose the cheapest bid that I got. I'm glad I didn't go with the middle ground bid I got because I would really be out some money then. This is a horrible company. I would never get insurance with them again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I lost my home and all of my belongings on June 12th 2018. State Farm hasn't paid any additional living expenses for 5 months. They are trying to say my home was 2x4 construction when it was 2x6 and they haven't covered a vehicle that was lost. I have between 400,000 and 600,000 of coverage. They paid out 20% of my coverage and have been doing nothing since. Nothing on contents yet or the lost vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

State Farm was our insurance agency for years, but we moved and kept our old house on the policy! Without notice they canceled the policy and didn't give us a chance to even ask any questions, it was a no no no before we even finished our sentences... The house was under contract to sell and would have been needing coverage for just 25 more days.

They need to consider the market when they are dealing with actual people in this world... When a house is listed the reality companies all tell you at least 18 months for a house to be on the market. Clearly they are only out to keep their name clear. Not doing a good job. You only got 1 star because you had to give at least 1 but there really are 0 Stars here... I hope and pray I never have to actually use my policy anywhere else before I find a new company!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I offered to help a woman who has been abused for years. Little did I know that her abuser was a violent excon with a love for money and the control he held over her. I also learned that all her income and finances were managed and kept away from her. She then was forced to provoke my dog to attack her to get money. I explained everything in a 3 page email and they said, "We can't do anything with that."

A year later State Farm received a demand letter for $550,000 and would only cover $300,000 and the rest was on me when I had an umbrella for $1,000,000 but they claimed it wasn't active. Filed a complaint with DOI and a couple days later they said sorry it was a mistake. Claims ended up negotiating and settling but would not give me any information but said if I change companies my report would not have an amount on it just "claim". I ordered my own clue report and it says $166,000. Everything about my experience with State Farm was unbelievably ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have had State Farm insurance for forty+ years, so naturally, my daughter chose State Farm to insure her auto and home. On July 17, 2018, her family's home was struck by lightning and caught on fire. The fire departments that responded were able to contain the fire to the roof, attic, and upstairs rooms. Unfortunately, the fire burned out the electrical connections and the water damage seeped through the walls down through all the floors including the finished basement. State Farm came to look at the damage, but took four months to provide an estimate for a settlement. During that time, we have had more rain and snow. The water damage has intensified. Moisture and mold have taken over.

The estimate from State Farm was less than a third of what reputable contractors said it would take to do the work, and the estimate did not include replacement of furniture and personal items. My daughter has faithfully paid her premiums, ensuring she had a policy that would cover the value of her home. Yes, State Farm provided them with a rental home, telling them four months would give them plenty of time to take care of everything. Fortunately, she and her husband pushed for longer time, since it is now December, and still nothing is done on their home. State Farm's commercials promise, "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," "to help life go right." It's apparent they have a hidden clause that says, "that's as long as you keep paying us and never expect us to fulfill our pledge and cover your costs during natural disasters."

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have had State Farm 36 yrs for homeowners insurance and never filed a single claim. I was on vacation for approx 10 days, upon arriving home I had water on my kitchen floor. I made that call to State Farm, sent photos and called one of the water damage companies to access where the water came from! Turned out to be the dishwasher... I was given a claims adjuster and reported the info to them. The adjuster never made an appoint to come see the damage, then I was told a leak is a leak! And it is not covered! I have read many reviews from others that have State Farm and same response! I was very disappointed in this company after paying my premiums for 36 years!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I've recently changed to another insurance company after 17 years with State Farm Insurance covering multiple policies including home/business and auto. I've never had a claim. In September 2018, I suffered water damage from a flood caused by a pipe burst in the ceiling/wall causing considerable damage to the finished basement structure. I paid immediately for water mitigation which caused thousands of dollars at State Farm's insistence to use a local company and that it might or might not be reimbursed.

From the beginning of the claim, to acquiring attorneys to recoup a small portion of the loss, I was treated not like a customer but someone who was trying to commit fraud. Questions from the call center reps, to the claims manager to the adjuster are all designed to make you say something in a state of stress that will lower your claim. Beware of State Farm's tactics which compensate employees for lowering the claim amount. Sounds crazy, but this is their model.

Bottom line to three months without the use of a house or a settled claim is a restorative bill of $24K to put the house back to the pre-flood condition and State Farm paying ONLY $5K of the claim. Period. Over 17 years of policy premiums, I'd have enough money to pay for most of the damage. Attorneys are looking at policy changes over those years where deductions were fraudulently made from coverage by State Farm without proper notification to the insured. Also, changing a deductible from $1,000 to 1/2 of one percent of the coverage, total value.

Beware of this company and do your homework with any other insurance company to understand what changes they can make to deductibles/coverage and how they need to notify you. It is best to review twice a year to be safe. I have no idea how the employees and CEO of the company sleep soundly at night knowing they are defrauding policyholders and as a policy compensate employees on the amount of the claim differences they do not pay.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My Dad paid premiums over 50 years. No claims until now, my Dad has passed away but my is still alive and has Alzheimer's. We had a lot of damage from Hurricane Michael and now they want to pay about 10 cents on the dollar. What a scam these people are. The company is an old fire company and that's about it and they probably wouldn’t pay even for a fire and they certainly won’t pay for wind. Beware they don’t cover much for wind. We got legitimate quotes from contractors and they try to use every excuse to nickel and dime us. Won’t even cover cost for my contractor to show up much less do the work.

Claims department took over a month to even call us back, what a joke. I call them every day trying to get some resolution, then a month later they call and have missed most of the damage, the adjuster comes out and measures by the square inch. When it's clear the contractor has to rip off half of the roof to fix that little bit they are trying to say is damaged. Go to another carrier. Whatever you do don’t use these people.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have insurance through State Farm and would not switch to any other insurance provider. I have my vehicle with State Farm and wanted to get the multi account discount. I like their app and I also have a credit card with State Farm.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky