Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Our recently purchased condo was flooded due to our upstairs neighbor's water heater bursting. It was a headache, but we called our agent who guided us on the process of calling a mitigation company. It took some time for our policy to be finalized given we had just closed on the property, but once it was, State Farm sent out an appraiser to inspect the damage.

Two weeks later, we got an estimate for repairs from the appraiser. During this time, we had 5 different contractors come to give us estimates. Since all estimates were higher the state farms appraiser, State Farm negotiated with our favorite contractor, and they agreed on a budget. They then sent us a check and we dispersed the money to the contractor.

I would say there are pros and cons to their model. Pros: you can choose who you want to do the construction and mitigation/ the negotiation process was quick. Cons: you’re in charge of dispersing the money. (So basically this elongated the process by at least 2 weeks. We had to send the check first to our mortgage company to endorse and then into our bank Processing center since they wouldn’t accept the check amount as a branch deposit.) Overall, given it was an overall stressful experience, our experience with State Farm was positive.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have my house and two other cars with State Farm. Their prices are fair. My house got hit with a very bad hail storm, State Farm took care of the new roof, new siding, some tree damage.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My house caught fire on March 21, 2019 around 5-6 PM. I call my insurance agent to notified about the fire and him Matt ** came to my home the same night to support us and to make sure we get place in a hotel until the house get restore, next day the adjuster from the insurance met with us also and together with Matt, Mrs. ** went over the policy with me and my wife and here we are in a nice hotel. Not like been home but better than been on the street or friends and family. I have my own space, they call or write to us every day to make sure we are doing alright, for me their service are triple AAA. Matt ** and Mrs. ** keep the good work and service.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We’ve had State Farm since moving to Arkansas about 8 years ago. Home auto and business insurance. We had pretty high winds here in Arkansas and a lot of shingles had blown off. We filed a claim and State Farm paid for total replacement for a new roof! I was very happy with their service. The adjuster came quick. The check was mailed quickly. We of course had to mail check to Flagstar Bank for endorsement also. Everything was all done roof included within 2 weeks! The check was less than 10,000 because of our deductible but it was not a bad experience for us considering it was our first claim. I’ve heard of insurances dropping you after a claim. We will see how that goes. Will update if something like that happens but So far it’s was great!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have been with SF for many years with no claims. I have high deductibles to keep price in check. This year I had two claims. One was a tornado that blew some shingles off my roof, the inspector came out and dismissed it, and there was no repairs needed. The second claim was after a hurricane in that case many shingles were blown loose and on to the ground, along with a scratch on my truck from the debris. The inspector indicated about one third of the roof was impacted, and his professional opinion was repair the roof. Now this is no shack and the existing roof is 10 years old, on which I pay for full replacement in my policy with a 5,000 dollar deductible.

After speaking with several roofing contractors who all agreed a new roof was in order I called the adjuster, he told me the truck should have been in the garage, and he did not care what anyone said. He stands by his inspection, what a conceited and ignorant man. So now I have a $200,000 house that they want me to pay $3,000 out of pocket for a patch job. The end result is I will put a new roof on my house and no one will dictate to me what I will do with my property. I am moving all my business to another company because I am the customer, and they are the service company. I had similar problems with my auto insurance, the local office is great, but for any claims it will be a 1 800 number and then it is not personal anymore, I am so unhappy with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Insured with State Farm homeowners insurance since 1978... that’s 41 years. This year we had 2 claims related to a micro-burst causing damage to gutters and some water damage... total reimbursement $4,025. This was the only claim in 41 years. Just opened a cancellation notice because the policy “is becoming unprofitable.” How is a payout of 4 thousand after the thousands we have paid out over 41 years plus the interest they made on that money “unprofitable?" Pass on their offer for any insurance, certainly no loyalty there.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I cannot warn you enough! Like a good neighbor State Farm will not be there. Do not believe their commercials. I, like most other people have always considered State Farm to be a top rated insurance company until I had a house claim a month ago for a leak in my bathroom. From the second I called my agent he begun to tell me how Tough it was to get a claim for a leak covered. He even told me that 1 of his family members left them due to a denied claim. So I begun to ask him, "What do you mean? Why would a leak not be covered?" And all he could reply was, "I don't really know if it will or not," and boy was he right!

From the second I called to make a claim the lady I spoke to told me she would not authorize any work be done. Told me I had to hire a plumber to figure out where the leak was coming from and what the problem was at my own expense and she would send a gesture out to see if it was a covered claim. Look I don't wanna ramble on. I am not the best writer but I will tell you this. The claims adjuster came out and immediately declined the claim and said, "Any leaks are not covered under your homeowner's policy." I was never informed this when I got my home owner's insurance and was not aware that water leaks are not covered claims. Run folks run! If you don't believe me just start doing some research and you will see from hundreds of other people who have left bad reviews that I am telling you the truth.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My 6800 sq. ft home experienced severe electrical damage by apparent surge or lightning. I filed on November 18th and over 3 weeks went by before a returned call (after chasing them) and then a nightmare ever since. My son and I are left without any heat meanwhile and hot water no hot water in the kitchen or my son's room and guest rooms. The electrician I hired referred from my SF agent says the home is dangerous and we should not be here. The home to repair will cost in the six figures most likely and I've been told that this is why it prolongs approval. It's a shame to be treated so by this company when I have never once had an homeowner claim and when you need them they do not respond for weeks and then torture their customers over a claim. I am so upset and sorry I trusted them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had a house fire 6/22/19, my family and I have been displaced and I have had to make several calls for the resolution to my claim. I have escalated from my claims rep Karen to her manager Cindy **, to her manager Adrian ** & Jeff ** and no one has returned my calls, Karen has advised this has never taken as long. Prior to November I was advised everyone was on vacation and now in December I was advised it's been approved. It's waiting for payment. That has been over 3 weeks. I have been a file on someone's desk for the last 6 going on 7 months, this is how State Farm treat their people that has never submitted a claim.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Been with State Farm for years and never submitted a homeowners claim. Just had a pipe back up and leak a week before Thanksgiving. Didn't know we had a problem until we had a problem. Water came up through our kitchen floor. Got a plumber out who identified and fixed the issue. Got a restoration company out to dry out the floor that they had to tear out. They also had to remove half the ceiling in the bathroom below to dry out from below. State Farm denied our claim within hours of sending their evil soulless monster of an adjuster out. Basically it's our fault because it was probably leaking for a while. The adjuster wasn't even the least bit apologetic when telling us we were denied and we're completely responsible for this 3 weeks before Christmas. Nice to know State Farm cares about its customers. I guess my kids don't deserve to live in a house with intact ceilings. We are looking for a new insurance company now. Merry Christmas to us.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor