2.42/5
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

920 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 10, 2018

State Farm gave me a teaser rate and sent out an inspector. I got a second letter raising my premium almost $800. When I called they said they rated my house OSI 9, so I got in touch with my local fire department who clearly stated that my house was rated for 4Y. They refused to rewrite my house at the proper OSI rating, so it remains almost $2,000 a year. When I asked about the rating they would honor a 4 but not at 4Y. They are a bait and switch company and cannot be trusted, if you want complete misery and stress contact them. Advise you never to use them. I would have given them a zero if you had one. Currently shopping for new insurance. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have been State Farm customers for 30 years. We reported a claim in 2015 for hail damage to our roof because— an adjuster came out and said no damage. Even though my entire neighborhood received new roofs. The adjuster said the hail cloud skipped our home. In 2016 I noticed a leak in my kitchen. I called my agent and she said I needed to call a roofer — I did and on his inspection he said they made a mistake in 2015. We do need a new roof. So I called the agent again. State Farm said my conversation with my agent was in March 2016 but State Farm came to inspect the roof in July 2016– they gave us Money then.

Workers of State Farm Home office said they were told in July 2016. Keep in mind I called my agent about the hailstorm of 2015 but State Farm said we had a wind storm in 2016. It has been mass confusion — but since I didn’t have my roof repaired by March 2018 they want release the remainder of the money to repair my roof. I understand that we needed to have the roof replaced but my husband and the independent roofer worked on the area that leaked. Roofer came out and gave bids but wasn’t included our shop so it was a nightmare getting all the bids — and then Harvey came through Houston and one roofer left for that job. If valued customers are held to State Farm’s time frame should they send notification that your time is about to expire. Unless that is what they hope for.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance 920 Reviews and Complaints - Read Before You Buy

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 26, 2018

I have reached out multiple times regarding an issue I am having with a lost insurance check. The check was only signed by one endorser so the bank declined to cash it. However, they will not give the check back. They say it is up to my insurance company to reissue a new check. State Farm will not reissue a check because they are showing it being cashed. BECAUSE IT IS PENDING IN MY BANK NOW FOR 2 WEEKS. I understand that this is partially my fault. However, they are doing nothing to help me. I have so much damage to my home and no money to fix the issues.

I have asked that they get in contact with my bank to confirm that the check has not been cashed and that the funds will not be deposited into my account but they will not even attempted to help me sort out this issue. I have sent screenshots of the pending amount showing rejected. This all happening while water continues to leak through my ceiling. I like many other people live paycheck to paycheck and have no money to fix any issues myself. Each time I reach out to speak to a supervisor I am directed somewhere else. I am at a loss. You can bet once this is over and resolved I will be looking elsewhere to cover our home and auto.

Original review: June 25, 2018

State Farm has been operating in bad faith on my home insurance claim. They are bullying my contractors and denying the damages. If you have one through them you should get out now. They are horrible.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We've only had a door replaced and flood damage of around $2000 which was quickly taken care of. We also couple our vehicle insurance and love the discount app.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: June 23, 2018

Have had State Farm for around at least 50 years. They are probably as reliable as any other insurance company. They pay off about like any other company (they are not cheap) but overall they have covered my needs.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Filing a claim to State Farm was alright. But no insurance company is perfect. And I don’t like how State Farm do policy when you have other people living at the same address and everyone have their own individual policy.

Original review: June 13, 2018

AVOID THIS COMPANY IN WAVERLY HUMPHREYS COUNTY TN LIKE THE PLAGUE. They are fine for auto, but for homeowners they are only good if you never have a claim. If you are with these folks get out now and find someone else. The agent is the nearest nothing ever. The office manager is the only bright spot, she is a good person whose hands are tied and the agent is only interested in selling you life insurance and taking your premiums. I have a water damage claim, my policy is total replacement, their adjuster knows more than the contractor (so he thinks), and will not agree with the estimate. I wish that I had never switched my homeowner's insurance to them. I will be moving all of my business elsewhere and sincerely advise you to avoid this office.

Original review: June 12, 2018

State Farm 740 NJ 18 East Brunswick - I had a very bad experience with them. They don't have any experience at all especially **. She has a very bad attitude. She also forgot to give me the paperwork for my home insurance. Overall I don't recommend this office and when I went to her manager he said it's not first complaint about **.

Original review: June 12, 2018

State Farm is a good company, but it charges outrageously high premiums for its policies. You do not get any extra discounts unless you demand them. The company will not revise anything for you, but if you ever have an accident, that's it. You're done.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Had a claim after hitting a deer, which left me with no vehicle to drive. Took a long time to settle. Insurance is a little high in Florida. No sinkhole insurance unless my house falls in a hole.

Original review: June 11, 2018

During the recent tornado my pool and hot tub were damaged. The wind tore the covers off them and debris entered. There was also a small piece of siding tore off as well a garden gate. An agent came out to estimate the damage. Then I received an email saying that the damage was smaller than my deductible. He only mentioned the siding and the gate and not the pool and hot tub. My pool company and I have been going back and forth with them for a month. Now they are saying that the pool company or me have to prove the tornado did the damage! They are terrible to work with.

Original review: June 11, 2018

State Farm treats you like family. Great rates for home and car, including coverage for rv's, boats, 4 wheelers, etc. They help you after an accident, to make you whole again. Ex: rental car, Dr, etc. I've been with State Farm almost 20 years now, and I was very thankful I had insurance with State Farm when my son was rear ended. The car was totaled. The driver of the SUV was only in the States to help open a wind turbine plant. It was a mess. State Farm did all the heavy lifting, I didn't have to do anything. Drop them a line, see what you're missing.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My husband wanted me to cancel State Farm. Then Hurricane Irma came through. Everyone I had to deal with from SF came through in ways I could not have imagined. We had a very high deductible on the house, so SF didn’t help there. But when we got water damage, not storm related, SF was terrific.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Great service, timely and efficient. Explained the policy provisions, and future options. Have had three claims in fourth years. Very satisfied with service.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Agent is the key. Ours has served us well. Not too much “selling” but keeps an eye on our needs. The few claims we’ve had were handled well and fairly. Also, with bundling prices are competitive.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We have been using State Farm for all of our Auto, Homeowners and Rental insurance needs for 15 years or more. Once, while making an in-town move, we had many items stolen from the house we were moving from; to include 3 specialize, very expensive computers. Once we reported, the local agent took it from there. The claims paperwork and process was easy, and we were reimbursed at replacement cost within one week of the incident. Our rates were not impacted, and the agent genuinely cared about getting us back on track.

Just recently, we had what initially started out to be a very bad experience, when we need roadside assistance. I called the 800 number for the request, and the phone center representative, informed us that due to the circumstance, the contract tow/assistance companies would not respond due to liability reasons. This was simply not true as we have unfortunately been in this same situation before years earlier. To make a long story short, we took care of the situation at hand ourselves, through other means; and promptly called our local agent. Within an hour, we received a call from State Farm Corporate, and they quickly resolved the situation (financially & personally), retrained the call center representative, and we actually received an apology letter. There is a reason they are a leader in the industry, this is just a couple of examples.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have had State Farm in my vehicles since 1982. I love my agent. Three years ago I switched my homeowner's to get the multi line discount. Last summer the neighbor's tree fell onto my property and I submitted a damage claim. This week I got a letter that they are canceling my coverage because of my claims history. ONE claim! My agent said their policy that if you have a claim in the first few years they cancel you. Now I have to find new coverage and the quotes are almost $1000 more per year for less coverage with higher deductible. I am soooo mad.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I needed insurance for my storage unit at a self storage facility. The storage company offered it thru their company but I wanted to stay loyal. Come to find out apparently insurance companies don't insure individual storage units. But State Farm told me I was getting renters insurance & that covers me. But what they did was charge me for a homeowners policy on a home that isn't even mine. My name is not on the mortgage. But they tried to tell me they have to write it under a homeowners policy as renters insurance and in turn it would cover 90% of my belongings at the house and 10% of my storage unit.

They never told me any of this. Everything I own is in my storage unit. That is where I need the coverage. I find the whole situation to be very unethical. Unfortunately, when it comes to purchasing my car insurance I can't afford to choose the company that has better ethics. So ashamed I walk away with my head down. Financially I don't have a choice.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We haven't had any claims for our house. Just the cars because of hitting deer because we live in the country. But we have a package deal and supposedly get a discount for having all insured through one insurance company.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We have had State Farm Ins for 20 plus years. The few claims we have had have been handled promptly and efficiently. The customer service dept. has always been friendly, polite and knowledgeable.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Most expensive and least coverage. Do not allow enough to cover repairs. Disorganized at least the Atlanta location. Just terrible. We're going to lose our home possibly due to the issues we've been dealing with.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Pay your insurance, great. File a claim because someone broke into your house... ok. Have State Farm cancel you from no fault of your own and this is when you know you have the wrong insurance company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Rates are very reasonable and service is outstanding. My agent calls me once a year to go over all my State Farm policies to find savings or explain any of the coverages and they don’t try to sell something I don’t need.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I just bought a new home, figured I'd give the competition a chance, State Farm beat the closest competitor by $1,000 a year. Basic walking sense says State Farm gives you the most bang for your buck.

Original review: June 4, 2018

State Farm is too cautious and finds every excuse to raise our rates. Additionally we never make claims on anything and they recently tried to back out on a deal for a new house. I am a long term customer but this has made me start looking again.

Original review: June 3, 2018

State Farm may be a little pricier than some other insurance companies. Their customer service is second to none and they seemingly totally understand, the pace of life. Johnny on the spot with their speedy claim work. Have had ZERO issues with them for over 20 years.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Rates go up every year, we have only ever had 1 claim ever in over 20 years and it took them forever to settle it. Never had a claim on car ins either.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've had State Farm Insurance for years now. I stay with them because of the quality customer service. I've considered changing but I don't want to risk being treated like I don't matter.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have been a State Farm for over 40 years. I have auto, homeowners, etc. I have never had a bad experience! Local agent is great, claims process very easy. Prices are very reasonable. I will never switch!

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky