State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5
Based on 1,675 ratings

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

PROS

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

CONS

• Fairly high rates

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspected the damage and issued a check. We were never disappointed... State Farm has always been there for us.

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check... I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: June 26, 2020

Like a good neighbor my **. I have been paying into State Farm Homeowners Insurance for 20 years. I also pay for floaters and earthquake add ons. I have never filed a claim. A few weeks I noticed a leak from the attic. Immediately I called a HVAC company. They came out that day and flushed the drain from the AC upstairs unit. The asked me to call them back if the leak continued. I called them the next day (which was Saturday). They came back on Monday and added a new pan that fixed the leak.

I called State Farm and they recommended a home repair company to provide an estimate. After that a state farm agent came to my home to look at the damage. THE CLAIM WAS REJECTED BECAUSE THE DAMAGE WAS CAUSED BY A DRIP INSTEAD OF A GUSH OF WATER. I think this company is a complete rip-off, only able to take your money. 20 years of payment, this was my first claim. I feel completely scammed.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I live in Texas and my home has been hit by hail numerous times in the past 6 years. The turbine on my roof has large dents. There are almost no granules left and the roof is now just 10 years old so I started filing claims when it was 4 years old. People walking by my house point out the damage. Other homes in my area have been covered by their insurance companies. The Statefarm adjusters (4 separate trips) can’t even look me in the eye as they inform me I have no hail damage. I have tried switching insurance companies and no one will cover my house unless I replace the roof first due to hail damage. Avoid Statefarm.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2020

This company promises to help families when their home is damaged. They have adjusters who lie. We have pictures and numerous professionals who back our claim. Get insurance through a different company!

Original review: April 21, 2020

I would give this company 0 stars if I could. Terrible insurance company, DO NOT USE. These people are liars and crooks. We have extensive water damage to our house. It's definitely something that falls under what insurance should cover. The adjuster that they sent out was a complete jerk from the get go. Didn't want to listen to anything we had to say. Acted like he knew more than the contractors. We had a bunch of standing water in our attic which seeped down into our drywall causing damage to our insulation, windows, siding, etc. He saw with his own eyes how much water was up in the attic. There are no pipes or anything in our attic. This water came from the roof or some other defect in the house. We had several contractors and experts come out and inspect the damage. Every single one of these companies that we had out said that there was a lot that needed fixed and replaced. The house is not even livable right now.

The insurance adjuster is only paying to remove insulation from attic, and dry out the water in the attic. He said nothing else needs to be done, and that he is closing the case. We have several contractors saying otherwise. We have a bid for over $88,000 in damages. That's how bad it is. We decided to contact management at State Farm, since we weren't getting anywhere with this jerk of an insurance adjuster. We submitted all the claims and letters from all of these contractors, and the management is still siding with the insurance adjuster. Management won't even come out to our house to see with their own eyes what's going on with our house.

The adjuster lied and told their management that the insulation was damp, but there was not much water up in the attic. We have three kids, and we can't even live in our house right now. We haven't lived in our house for 3 months. That's how long this has all taken, and they haven't even done anything for us. We are now in the process of taking this terrible company to court. Please DO NOT use this insurance company. We will be switching companies once this is all over with.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I have been waiting to write this review as our home that was insured by State Farm has been sold. I waited because if I were to write it while they were still insuring my house, I am positive they would have retaliated by cancelling the policy while the house was on the market, causing the house to not be able to be sold. My husband had been a state farm customer all of his life, he's 51 now. We bought the house I am referring to in 1997. State farm was the insurance carrier for 23 years.

At one point my husband lost his job and his company gave him a choice of taking a job in another city or be put on the street. The new job was for markedly less money. We had to pick up our lives and children and move literally overnight. While we were renting a house in the new city we were travelling back and forth trying to get our original house cleaned, repaired and ready to be put on the market.

We were on the verge of bankruptcy. The stress was unreal, it affected our health both mentally and physically. We were about to have things relatively under control when we found out State Farm was cancelling our insurance. Yeh, JUST what we needed. Why were they doing that? They said we "abandoned" our home. REALLY?!?! WE WERE TRYING TO SURVIVE! But it gets better. To build on their petty case they took a photo of a gas can that my husband hadn't been able to fit into the 12th U-Haul truck that we used during multiple trips. They said the gas can meant we were careless, dangerous people. They never contacted us or asked us what was going on. They just cancelled the policy.

We had a claim the year before after YEARS of NO claims due to hail damage that was neighborhood wide, not just us. I have read that if you make a claim no matter how many years you have been a loyal customer they will cancel you. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and they came down on our necks with both feet. My husband is a fighter though, and when he gets pissed he levels people. He countered everything they accused us of with proof otherwise and he was willing to take it to court. They ultimately backed down but raised our premiums.

A lot of people don't have the where-with-all to fight like my husband does, and those are the people that State Farm preys upon. I wanted to try to get a different carrier but my husband is stubborn and said State Farm was going to do as they promised and insure our house. What kind of company acts this way toward other human beings?? They had NO sympathy and actually acting quite pleased to hold authority over the situation. Their attitude was too bad, we will do what we want, you have no say. PLEASE heed my and other reviewers warnings! DO NOT give this company your money. They will screw you the first chance they get! They are heartless!

Original review: March 2, 2020

I'm a 100% disabled Veteran & without my consent, State Farm cancelled my home insurance from a voicemail???? I had everything included in my mortgage. I tried calling & had to speak repeatedly to mindless, uneducated children who cared more about playing games on the company's computers than actually doing anything. AVOID state farm AT ALL COSTS... READ ALL OF THE HORRIBLE REVIEWS OF THESE IDIOTS. WARNING to any neighbors, I just might leave a simple voicemail & your insurance will be cancelled by some dumb ** who can't even tie a shoelace. ** YOU STATE FARM????

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

My home was insured with State Farm Insurance. We had storm/tornado/hail damage to our property in Texas. We filed claim within 3 days of damage. The adjuster assigned to us never showed up until 2 months later. State Farm refused to pay our claims. State Farm Insurance is happy to collect the premium that you pay. The Company will continue to be a good company until you make a claim. If you make any claim no matter how small, State Farm will either cancel your policy or totally reject your claim and will be willing to fight you in court. Beware; avoid this company or you will regret having anything to do with it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have been with SF for many years with no claims. I have high deductibles to keep price in check. This year I had two claims. One was a tornado that blew some shingles off my roof, the inspector came out and dismissed it, and there was no repairs needed. The second claim was after a hurricane in that case many shingles were blown loose and on to the ground, along with a scratch on my truck from the debris. The inspector indicated about one third of the roof was impacted, and his professional opinion was repair the roof. Now this is no shack and the existing roof is 10 years old, on which I pay for full replacement in my policy with a 5,000 dollar deductible.

After speaking with several roofing contractors who all agreed a new roof was in order I called the adjuster, he told me the truck should have been in the garage, and he did not care what anyone said. He stands by his inspection, what a conceited and ignorant man. So now I have a $200,000 house that they want me to pay $3,000 out of pocket for a patch job. The end result is I will put a new roof on my house and no one will dictate to me what I will do with my property. I am moving all my business to another company because I am the customer, and they are the service company. I had similar problems with my auto insurance, the local office is great, but for any claims it will be a 1 800 number and then it is not personal anymore, I am so unhappy with this company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Insured with State Farm homeowners insurance since 1978... that’s 41 years. This year we had 2 claims related to a micro-burst causing damage to gutters and some water damage... total reimbursement $4,025. This was the only claim in 41 years. Just opened a cancellation notice because the policy “is becoming unprofitable.” How is a payout of 4 thousand after the thousands we have paid out over 41 years plus the interest they made on that money “unprofitable?" Pass on their offer for any insurance, certainly no loyalty there.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I cannot warn you enough! Like a good neighbor State Farm will not be there. Do not believe their commercials. I, like most other people have always considered State Farm to be a top rated insurance company until I had a house claim a month ago for a leak in my bathroom. From the second I called my agent he begun to tell me how Tough it was to get a claim for a leak covered. He even told me that 1 of his family members left them due to a denied claim. So I begun to ask him, "What do you mean? Why would a leak not be covered?" And all he could reply was, "I don't really know if it will or not," and boy was he right!

From the second I called to make a claim the lady I spoke to told me she would not authorize any work be done. Told me I had to hire a plumber to figure out where the leak was coming from and what the problem was at my own expense and she would send a gesture out to see if it was a covered claim. Look I don't wanna ramble on. I am not the best writer but I will tell you this. The claims adjuster came out and immediately declined the claim and said, "Any leaks are not covered under your homeowner's policy." I was never informed this when I got my home owner's insurance and was not aware that water leaks are not covered claims. Run folks run! If you don't believe me just start doing some research and you will see from hundreds of other people who have left bad reviews that I am telling you the truth.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information