State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

PROS

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

CONS

• Fairly high rates

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspected the damage and issued a check. We were never disappointed... State Farm has always been there for us.

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check... I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

We have been with State Farm for more than 20 years. We have filed 3 claims in those years on our homes. The coverage was good and was not held up by red tape. The price for our coverage is a little high, but I guess it’s the price we pay for the coverage we get. Overall, we are pleased.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

State Farm has my Condo Unit owner's policy. Pretty much most of my insurance is with State Farm. That's how much I believe in them. Plus it's cheaper to do it that way. I know that if something were to happen to my condo that State Farm would take care of it.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

We have bundled this company to include vehicles and a camper. So far so good. They are always willing to sit down with us to reevaluate our policy for possible new discounts especially for new drivers who are doing well academically. They have also done an outstanding job helping us through some accidents without any hassles.

Original review: July 19, 2020

They made sure for me that since I live so close to a brand new fire station and police station, that I was eligible for a discount. Also, when I let them know I had a fire system in my house, they let me know I was eligible for a discount. They asked me if I had a home security system and make sure every year, with a reminder, to send them proof so that I can keep getting my discount. My agent calls me every year just to see how I’m doing if I have any questions. Whenever I have had a question, he is quick with an answer when I email him.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Our recently purchased condo was flooded due to our upstairs neighbor's water heater bursting. It was a headache, but we called our agent who guided us on the process of calling a mitigation company. It took some time for our policy to be finalized given we had just closed on the property, but once it was, State Farm sent out an appraiser to inspect the damage.

Two weeks later, we got an estimate for repairs from the appraiser. During this time, we had 5 different contractors come to give us estimates. Since all estimates were higher the state farms appraiser, State Farm negotiated with our favorite contractor, and they agreed on a budget. They then sent us a check and we dispersed the money to the contractor.

I would say there are pros and cons to their model. Pros: you can choose who you want to do the construction and mitigation/ the negotiation process was quick. Cons: you’re in charge of dispersing the money. (So basically this elongated the process by at least 2 weeks. We had to send the check first to our mortgage company to endorse and then into our bank Processing center since they wouldn’t accept the check amount as a branch deposit.) Overall, given it was an overall stressful experience, our experience with State Farm was positive.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I have been a State Farm customer for over 20 years & have always been proud to share that with people. The girls in my local office are friendly, knowledgeable, & helpful. I’d hear people complain about their insurance company high premiums, the lack of support, the denial of claims, & think how blessed I was to be a State Farm customer. I had always had good experiences with State Farm & felt I could depend on the services I purchased, that is until the last four years. In 2015 I had my roof redone. Not due to any damage, but because it was that time. My home was built in 1987 & needed an upgrade. The contractor was great. They were reasonably priced of all the quotes I had gotten, efficient, & thorough.

In October 2016 Hurricane Matthew came through the Charleston area. It brought substantial high winds, heavy rain, broke trees, uprooted trees, & flooded in some areas. After the storm passed, we found several large limbs on our roof. We carefully removed them but did not see any visible damage. Several months later we discovered that rain had been dripping into our back wall & seeping under our floor. The area was at the back of the house is where the chimney is enclosed. I contacted State Farm & filed a claim.

The adjuster came out & said one of the limbs from the storm had put a hole in our chimney. It was weird to me at the time that the claim was paid to replace the flooring that was damaged, but not the necessary roof repairs. I did question this, & even pointed out that the winds from Hurricane Matthew had shook my house so hard that a crack had developed in the concrete of my patio floor which is raised off the ground. I was told that this is the way they (State Farm) write claims & I could use the money for whatever I chose. I chose to have the chimney repaired of course. They were saying the storm caused a hole which was where the rain was getting into the wall, so if I did not repair it, I would continue to have water damage. The chimney repair was the only logical option, so I had it completely rebuilt from the roof up.

A few months later when consulting someone to complete the floor repairs we discovered the leak issue on the back wall had not been resolved & rainwater had continued to drip in the wall & seep under the flooring. I contacted State Farm to make them aware what they stated was the issue had obviously not been correct, that the problem continued, & damage from the storm had been overlooked. I was given a lot of run around & talked in circles with insurance terms which was very frustrating. I was made to feel like I did not know what I was talking about & felt defeated. After several more bouts with rain I contacted State Farm again to discuss the unresolved matter only to be left feeling the same, defeated. My roof was brand new & the only occurrence that could have caused the damage was Hurricane Matthew.

From that point, the rainwater leak continued & signs of additional rain run off began to appear in other locations of my interior walls & ceiling. In September 2019 we had another hurricane make landfall. Rainfall from Hurricane Dorian of course dripped into the exterior wall & seeped under my flooring in the exact spots from the 2016 storm claim, but it also knocked over part of my fence, & tore some siding off my house. I was very upset to have to continue dealing with the original issue but now have new issues. Previous experience told me State Farm would not be easy to deal with, so I dreaded having to contact them. I did finally contact them & they filed an additional claim. In December 2019 the adjuster came out & prepared the attached.

I expressed all my frustrations over the initial claim. I was vocal on feeling no one was adequately diagnosing the damage from the 2016 storm & that the work I was advised to have done had not resolved the issue. The adjuster told me that he had worked with Big Bear Roofing on several jobs & recommended them. He even called them speaking with his contact as he walked my roof. His contact told him he would have the rep who happened to live across the street from me contact me. I was then contacted by Big Bear Roofing & scheduled a meeting to evaluate the work needed. I received the attached proposal, paid Big Bear Roofing in full, & had the work done.

I was hopeful afterwards but unfortunately the work the adjustor & Big Bear Roofing advised would be needed to resolve my issue did not resolve the problem. I had to call Big Bear Roofing back out to show them gaps between the boards installed on my patio & where they had cut trim off my chimney that was not put back flush but completely unaligned & caked with caulk to fill in where they had not properly aligned it. I was told that the board gaps on the patio would not cause any issues, but the gaps are obvious so I’m positive rain will eventually be seeping through. As for the damage they caused to my chimney trim, I was told that they would fix it. That has never happened.

A few months went by & with each rainfall my original issue from the 2016 Hurricane damage along with newer issues continued. I reached out to Big Bear Roofing making them aware the work they had done still had not resolved the interior leak issues. Rain can be heard dripping in the wall, the flooring continues to get wet from underneath, & new water damage continues to appear on my ceiling & wall. I also contacted State Farm to make them aware the original issue was still not resolved & the work the adjustor & Big Bear Roofing had stated were required had not resolved the issues. I received the same reception from them as I had in the past, not their problem anymore.

With Big Bear Roofing it took numerous attempts, before they finally came back out to reevaluate my issues. This time Big Bear Roofing recommended different work be done & said I would not be charged given what I had already paid for that did not resolve the issues. It again took multiple attempts, but they did finally schedule this additional work, however what they did this time still did not resolve the water leaks & the work they did to the the back portion of my roof is now mismatched from the rest of the roof. In 2015 I had my roof redone with brown architectural shingles. What Big Bear Roofing put on was back flat tar looking paper. My roof is now two colors with two different styles.

This additional work by Big Bear Roofing still did not resolve the rainwater leaks. I again made State Farm aware & began contacting Big Bear Roofing again as well. In my contacts to Big Bear Roofing I made them aware the issues were still not resolved that I was upset over their work causing my roof to be mismatched, about the chop job done to my chimney. It again it took numerous attempts to get them back out, but when they came back this time, they recommended running a water test on the back of my roof where the water is getting into the wall.

This test did not yield any resolution of where the water was entering my home. Big Bear Roofing said maybe it was the chimney cap because a corner of it shows signs of rust. Interesting being that cap has been on there the whole 16 years I’ve owned this home & there have been no water issues until after Hurricane Mathew in 2016. And, one would think that if the cap was the issue then professionals like Big Bear Roofing & educated State Farm adjustors would have known that instead of recommending thousands for unnecessary work, right? None of this surprised to me.

I’ve been telling State Farm for three years that the assessment of damage to my home was not coming from the chimney as they had claimed. Of course, Big Bear Roofing recommended replacing the chimney cap & said they would only charge me the cost of the item. I spoke with them just before the July 4th holiday. I was told they would get the cap info, call me with cost, & schedule to put it on. I have never heard back from them.

On August 24th I spoke with State Farm again about my claim & the unresolved issues since 2016. When I pointed out to the State Farm claims representative that I had the roof redone in 2015 & had no issues until after the 2016 storm he began to place blame on the work done by the contractor. He said this is now their stand on this matter & stated they will do nothing further. I hung up on him.

I may not be a claims representative, an adjustor, or a roof contractor but I am far from ignorant. Waters runs & being I’ve had the work recommended by all these professional, knowledgeable people done yet the original issues still exist & new damages are occurring give complete merit that obviously damaged to the roof from the 2016 storm was not found & the water is running from other than where the focus has been.

I have now been living several years with this original issue not being resolved & additional damages occurring. I now have dark shadowing on my walls, so I’m concerned with mold in my attic, & water marks on walls & numerous places in my ceilings. I can’t replace my flooring, can’t paint my walls, can’t repair my ceiling, & may be living with toxic growth because rain is still going to come & continue damaging these areas.

It’s a very hard pill to swallow knowing I’ve done business all these years with State Farm & trusted them to have my back on my biggest asset just to be dismissed & treated as though I’m just an unknowledgeable woman trying to “get over” on them. In my mind it shows the true character of this business. I am nothing more than a contributor to their million-dollar salaries & million-dollar incentive bonuses.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I have been with State Farm for many years. I appreciate their assistance when I am in need. I not only have homeowners insurance but auto and life. Great company to work with. Although I don't have many claims, the few I had were very easy to manage.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Wow???? Where do I start? It was an disaster from the start. My hot water heater in my attic burst flooding my home causing water, painting, insulation, ceiling and carpet damage. So my water and gas had to be turned off. It took 4 days to assess the damage. Just to mention we been insured w/ State Farm for approximately 12 yrs w/o ever filing a insurance claim. The kids and I were displaced for over 2 wks. It was a very Traumatic experience for my kids. The lack of understanding or proper communication on the adjuster part. He would set up a appt w/ date and time but he would not show or was late. Not having my estimate quote ready. Well they did not want to pay for hardly anything. My hallway carpet got damage but that carpet is connected to three other rooms. So what I suppose to cut the hallway carpet.

Next my ex spouse and I been divorce for 3 yrs plus quick deed been completed per court order. State Farm wanted to put the check in my name and his. My ex also informed them he did not live there and had nothing to do w/ the house. So they paid the check out to me and the mortgage company. This delayed my repairs and everything even more now 'cause I have to wait on my mortgage company. Wow, State farm is by far the worst company. Would not recommend them to anyone? They accept our insurance money for yrs but time we need them to pay they found a reason not to.. All the damage in my home they paid $2600 dollar. What a cheating company. I will find me another home insurance asap. State farm cheats and mistreat their customer... It's very sad????

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

So far so good. No issues as of yet. I have only been with them about 2 years. I have not had to file a claim so I don’t know how their claim process actually works. But as far as customer service they are polite and friendly.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I have been with State Farm for many years. Their service is prompt and fair. My State Farm agent is local too. Service is extraordinary and they are always available to answer any question you may have. I highly recommend them!

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information