State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

3.9/5 (560 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

Pros

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

Cons

• Fairly high rates

Bottom Line

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Verified

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspecte...

Verified

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check.. I wasn...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 13, 2022

I have held an auto & homeowner policy with agent Hamid at the State Farm office in Clayton, CA and have always had a positive experience. They answer their phones(!), are competent, and reliable to follow through with my concerns. I have been very happy with this insurance company and plan to stay with them in the years to come.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I recently switched to State Farm from USSA approximately 6-8 months ago and it was the biggest mistake. I had an upstairs bathroom leak which flooded my kids bathroom, hallway and downstairs laundry room right before Christmas. Claim still has not been resolved, the internal and field adjusters for State Farm are rude and inexperienced and I am beginning to think this is by design. I cannot get any answers on a small 13k claim or updates. I have experienced lack of communication, unreasonable delays, failure to investigate, underpaying claims etc. Needless to say, my three kids are still sharing our bathroom almost 12 weeks later with no resolve. Stay away from State Farm...

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Tree hit the house on September 1. Finally deposited payment on Christmas Eve. Part of my problem was an inexperienced contractor. State Farm always stuck me in the middle trying to explain what they needed to a contractor that just didn't seem to understand. In my opinion, once I found a contractor, the insurance company should have taken the reins and negotiated with the contractor directly. Clearly that's not how they work. This way of doing business put me in the position of negotiating between the two. What it did was to shift costs to me whenever there was any disagreement.

State Farm also nickel and dimed me on everything. EVERYTHING. Enough that it prompted several excited calls to my agent who tried to smooth things out. State Farm also stuck me in the middle between them and the mortgage company. Apparently the mortgage company has to approve payments but they cannot do this between them. Noooo. State Farm mailed the documents to me and I had to spend $10 postage each time to forward to the mortgage company so they could endorse the check. This took nearly a month each time.

The house has been repaired. I spent way more out of pocket than I expected because some structural irregularities were exposed due to the accident and even though my policy covers bringing the structure up to code, somehow it was not covered. I also floated State Farm a $16,000 loan for several months because the contractor expected to be paid upon completion of the job. Was this a good experience? Absolutely not. I gave State Farm 3 stars rather than a lower rating because I expect that most insurance companies' claims experiences are this disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

They are doing everything possible to not pay me for wind damage to my roof, including leaving out materials and costs in the estimate for what was damaged. Anything that was covered last time this happened that they are able to get away without paying they are. 2 years ago they were great, today they are rip off artists who have a team of people working hard to cheat you out of every $50 they can.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Dear State Farm Executive Management,

Untrustworthy….Unfriendly. I am a 30+ year State farm customer with 6 SF policies. I had a claim for my storm damaged roof that officially began about 2 years ago. I have had numerous SF PSP contractors along the way who told me that I should have gotten a roof long ago. All of the neighbors in my cul de sac had insurance replacement roofs over 2 years ago. I eventually came to find out that the SF adjuster was taking pics FROM MY STREET to substantiate their position that my wood shake roof was fine. One of your PSP contractors got up on my roof, and took pictures near and up on the roof. This finally convinced SF to pay my roof claim. SF asked me to get estimates, and I did.

-A comparable roof to what I had was priced at: $52,200
    -SF agreed to pay: $45,000
    -The actual roof I wanted costed approximately: $47,000
    -(Due to COVID, it was out of stock indefinitely)
    -The only roof that was available (that was cat 4) costed: $29,171

-Leaving a balance that they owed me after deductible of: $14,422

Upon completion of the roof, I was sent a letter by my adjuster stating that I would receive a check for the $14,422 difference (Letter attached). He sent me an email confirming that. The next week, I was told that “MANAGEMENT” decided against paying me the $14,422 balance of my claim....SERIOUSLY? How does that happen? Is this how State Farm treats their customers now? Untrustworthy….Unfriendly.

-Why on earth would I not take advantage of the $45K SF said they would pay?
    - Had I known SF was not going to pay me the full amount, I would have waited for a more expensive (Comparable to what I have) roof to be available.
    -Why would I or anyone for that matter leave $15K on the table?

-A comparable roof was not available (Covid delays) at the time of my installation.

I spoke with your SF area managers regarding my roof claim. They seemed to just read to me out of their policy book, and I am furious with their position. I wish to pursue this further. I hope SF is more concerned with customer service than technicalities. You used to be. After all of these years with SF, I wonder….does SF care about people like me who have been loyal multi decade customers with several policies? It sure doesn’t feel like it with this matter. It was suggested, by one of your people, that I get a lawyer to help me to get a fair shake with SF. I don’t want to have to do that, but I want a more positive resolution to this claim. Can you help?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I am having a very bad experience with State Farm after filing a claim for wind damage to my roof shingles. My claim was denied on a 27 year old roof after wind has blown off several shingles. I had my contractor take shingle samples and verified there is no match for these shingles after 27 years yet Statefarm wants the roof repaired. The repair that statefarm has quoted wasn’t more than my deductible so Statefarm wouldn’t be on the hook for any costs. Now, Statefarm wants to take their own shingle sample to test for a match delaying this claim yet again. Winter will be here soon so Statefarm needs to do what they’re legally obligated to do because I’m not going away.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Had been with State Farm Homeowner Insurance for more than 10 years. They rejected a claim for roof damage for the reason of not filed in time. However; an earlier claim for the roof damage was rejected too. It gave the impression that they will find all reasons to reject your claim. The similar damage to the next-door neighbor was covered by their insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am giving 1 star because there is no 0 star option. We have had State Farm homeowners insurance for 30 years. In June of 2017 we moved to rural Livingston County Michigan. We only have 1 "close" neighbor, whose house is less than 200 feet from ours, & we both have State Farm for homeowners insurance. After a storm containing 1 1/2" to 2" hail came over our houses on June 12th, 2021 our neighbor had a roofing contractor inspect their roof. I had them also check ours. They informed us that we both had severe hail damage, so we filed claims.

Inspectors came out for State Farm. Our neighbor had no problem & had their whole roof replaced, while State Farm's Claims department says our houses has NO hail damage. I have pictures and videos of the hail that was hitting our house. The roofing contractor we're working with has been out 3 times, taking pictures of different 10x10 roof sections each time as required. They submitted around 100 pictures, including closeups of each strike and wide angle drone pictures of our entire roof. State Farm's Claims Department is still denying my claim.

We have had 3 houses over the past 30 years, all with State Farm coverage. We've been fortunate enough to never needing to file a claim up until now. State Farm has taken our money for 30 years, but the first time we actually need their services they are denying us. We will be changing our Insurance Company because from my experience they are not " Like A Good Neighbor" as they claim.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

After paying for home insurance for almost 15 years, had a problem in the property. Evidences were requested and provided, however, claim was denied. State Farm team have "2 kinds" of customer services very well trained. One is to trap you to pay for an insurance, which they will 'love' your premium payments on time. The second is strongly trained to try to deny claims at any cost. Using all possible tools they have.... Remember the cartoon 'The Incredibles'? Exact same thing.

Please read always the lowest stars reviews before sign for your new or next insurance company. State Farm, NEVER more.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I gave a rating of 4 due to the original quote changed on me. I need to look again for a better rate. The original quote was $228.04 per month, then it changed to $324.33. I hope the monthly fee will be $228.04 as quoted to me. Thanks!!!

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information