1.31/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Last updated: May 22, 2018

881 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have 2 cars insured with State Farm. It was raining heavy. Water got inside one of the car. I don't know how the water got inside, the car wouldn't start, the dashboard lights was going crazy, clock was spinning back and forth, I got the car towed to AAMCO, State Farm adjuster came to look at the car and told the mechanic to fixed everything. After 2 weeks the mechanic gave them the estimated, it was over $3000. He had to do a lot in the car, State Farm don't want to pay for the repair, they only gave me $600.

This is ridiculous, the mechanic won't release the car until he gets paid, I don't have a car to get to work. It's been almost 2 months, the mechanic charged $50 a day for storage, had a rental car. State Farm said I reached my limit to return the car and yet my still in the shop and they won't pay for it. I carpool with people to get to work. State Farm is the worst insurance company. Omg. I'm gonna have to take them to court to make pay for my car. People do not insure with State Farm, car or house.

Original review: May 22, 2018

After 28 years of paying for home insurance I was informed by letter that they would not be renewing my insurance because of 2 claims totalling 5000. The second I had not intended to pursue because I hadn't heard back from them after being told it might not be covered. Then I received a call from someone there that he could take a look and see what he could do for me. Now I'm worried about car insurance. I believe that it was such a small claim of 500. I'm on a limited income now and worry that it will be hard to replace.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2018

After Blair, Nebraska was hit with a once in a hundred years hailstorm Paul Davis Restoration tried to have State Farm pay for the replacement roof. But they would only cover the first 3 feet stating they don't build them like this anymore (able to withstand 4 in hail or greater) paying 1/3 the cost out of a total bill of 33,000. On top of that they raised our rates stating our house was worth more now that we paid out for a new roof.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I've had Homeowners & Rental Dwelling with State Farm Insurance company since 9/18/1995. After 23 YEARS I had the NERVE to file (2) TWO claims for damages. One claim was vandalism, at the suggestion of the State Farm agent, and the Other was roof and wind damage. NOW I'm being cancelled. I've paid my insurance EVERY MONTH and NEVER missed a payment. NOW because I filed (2) TWO claims in 23 years NOW The RISK IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE. My Money was acceptable for 23 YEARS. Just who the HECK do I think I am filing a claim on my Homeowners Insurance JUST BECAUSE I had REPORTABLE Damages???

Original review: April 23, 2018

I had insurance with State Farm for over 35 yrs. I had 2 claims in over 35 both were not a lot of money. But enough that you should file a claim. They took my payment of over 35 years no problem. They made a lot of money off me. Then no warning no letter no nothing I found out thru my mortgage co I had been cancelled. WOW! 2 claims in 35 years 2 different houses. I had my auto thru them also. I went with another co. Seems like they maybe of. Not sure. You only know when you file a claim. Then it is too late!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have never rated or commented on a business before but as consumers if we do not speak up the word will not be heard. My parents have been a State Farm customer for 35 years and in those 35 years only once have they filed a small claim with their homeowner's policy back in the 80's. Due to the wind storms recently they lost their roof on their home, garage and gutters and it was decided by State Farm in writing they indeed needed to be replaced. First, State Farm settlement provided insufficient funds. They advised I submit a estimate from the roofing company with their cost and then a signed estimate with my parents signature which I did.

The claim handler Mr. ** advised me on 3/31/2018 of the new amounts that would be sent via checks to my parents giving me the okay to start the work. The day of delivery to start the roof replacement, Mr. ** advised me there has been a mistake in depreciation and reduced my parents settlement amount by about two thousand and advising the roofing company quote was too high as well which it was not. State Farm corporate advised management would contact us. Mr ** did so and his explanation for not paying the total cost minus the deductible was the upgrade in shingles which is not covered by State Farm. The upgrade was approximately $600.00 according to the contractor in his estimate and not $2000.00.0

My parents who are retired seniors have paid into this policy for 35 years. Had I not intervened State Farm would of tried to take total advantage as their first settlement amount clearly provided insufficient funds but then confirmed with me the adjusted claim amounts, knowing I would start the job and waited until the day of delivery and reduced the claim amount because clearly they never intended to pay the total on the claim since the beginning, not to mention the time back and forth this took me and their excuses. My opinion is take your business elsewhere. After faithfully paying into a homeowners insurance policy, for 35 years. Never utilizing it, until absolutely necessary, and getting ripped off, DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH STATE FARM HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE!

Original review: April 15, 2018

We have had State Farm Homeowners Insurance since 1973 when we purchased our home. For the past year, we have had problems with foundation shifts, bulges, etc. under our A/C Heater. We have had State Farm inspect everything (supposedly) three times. According to them, there is no problem. About a month ago, our foundation split total across house under the wall of two bedroom, causing the foundation to drop 1/2 inch in the Master Bedroom and our middle bedroom. We finally had a private inspection done with the proper equipment and the findings were absolutely astounding! The pipe that takes the condensed water out of the A/C pan had corroded and the water was soaking into the foundation, causing it to bulge up under the A/C. This action has tilted the entire foundation to lift under the A/C and slant the entire foundation on the bedroom side of the house to slant off downward, shifting doorways and walls.

When State Farm sent out the last inspector he was to check for leaks under the A/C, brought no equipment to do so, told us to turn off all of the water in the bathroom, went out, opened the Water Meter and just stood there looking at it. He then came in and told us there were no leaks. He, as usual with State Farm, gave us no copy of his report and left. State Farm is giving us problems with our claim, so I asked for a copy of the report. I received it yesterday and now I know why they never give their customers copies of the reports they end up filing. According to the report, the Inspector used all of the modern equipment that detects leaks in foundation, which he did not. The report he filed is totally bogus! Sam **, our Agent, told us that our policy covered this problem since it was purchased in 1973 when these types of leaks were covered. Now State Farm is saying, no they are not.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My husband and I got State Farm insurance a little over 3 1/2 years ago. About three months into having our insurance a contractor damaged our kitchen floor. Come to find out that the contractor did not have insurance and all of a sudden he closed his business and went bankrupt. So we filed a claim. Everything seem to be OK and then a year and a half after we filed the claim we were canceled. Stated that we were a high-risk because six years ago a water pipe broke and we had a claim and mind you that claim was going to be dropped off so it would not of been counted against us.

Our insurance agent didn't call us, we received a letter in the mail informing us that we were canceled. I don't understand why we were canceled. I'm paying for the floor every year when we don't have a claim. They're still making plenty of money off of us but because we needed them one time they decided that we were too much of a risk. I feel like they are too much of a risk and I believe they should be reported for improper practice.

Original review: April 5, 2018

If I could’ve put zero stars, I would have. I have homeowner’s and multiple life insurance policies with State Farm (all of which are about to be cancelled). I had a flood in our second bathroom 6 weeks ago, the water complete flooded the bathroom and went under the house, leaking to the outside. Multiple contractor estimates were around $20,000 to fix all the damage. State Farm initially said they’d pay $1350 of it, now they added an add’l $1800 but refused to address that the posts my house are on are sitting in standing water.

We’ve talked to multiple adjusters, supervisors and our broker and nothing can be done despite some obvious health and safety issues. We’ve also had major problems arguing with State Farm a decade ago, about an auto insurance claim. Save yourself TONS of money and headaches and avoid this company altogether. I’ve never had such terrible customer service from a company that I had an ongoing relationship with. What a horrible way to treat long term loyal customers. Never again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance for 12 years. In that time I have never had to file a claim for house repairs. I had a sudden strong wind lift the roof of the patio of one of my houses. The State Farm adjuster came out to look at the damage and said she would take care of everything. My roof is five months old and State Farm said they would patch the damaged section. All they paid for was to put a little tar on the damage part. My roofer came out to make the repairs and told me that patch job was only good for 3 to 4 years. He said for it to be properly repaired it should be coated and that would last 25 years.

I have called every day to State Farm adjuster and none of my calls have ever been returned. I called the claims department and again not return phone calls. I have paid several thousands of dollars throughout the years and the one time I need to file a claim there's a huge problem. Once this issue is resolved and I find another Insurance Company and cancel my policies for both homes. I would never ever recommend State Farm to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I live in the Kankakee/Aroma Park, Illinois area and last week we had a massive wind and rainstorm. I had an inch of water in my once furnished basement. An agent came out, didn't take pictures, no measurements, or check my sump pump or the back up to the sump pump. I have 6 rooms that were flooded, he told me I didn't have $1000 worth of damage so they cancelled my claim.

Original review: March 13, 2018

We've had homeowners through State Farm for 20 years. We've had car insurance longer than that. My entire family - parents and siblings have had State Farm for car and home for at least 50 years. My husband and I got a cancellation letter because we didn't replace some boards on our house. I informed SF, Wells Fargo and GA that we haven't seen an agent in 15 years. I was told that they sent a letter in 2016 about "some boards" needing replacement. No pictures, diagrams or a human to point out which boards need to be replaced. SO, they sent ONE letter TWO years ago, no calls/voicemails/emails/person, and SUDDENLY, we get cancelled.

Even today, the State Farm lady didn't offer to tell us which boards need to be replaced. We don't have leaks or anything hanging or floppy or damaged, so how the heck are we supposed to know what to replace? What if we just take a guess and replace boards that State Farm wasn't concerned about? Although, State Farm is all my family has ever dealt with, I am apprehensive about them now. Who is running the company that approves of a process of telling a homeowner to replace something, refusing to show them what to replace, then cancelling them even though every payment has been made on time? They don't deserve our money anyway.

Original review: March 8, 2018

State Farm had me as a customer for over 11 years. I had some water damage that was caused by my upstairs neighbor, twice in a few years. She refused to pay and refused to give me her insurance information. So of course I put in a claim with State Farm not knowing how bad it would get. They did pay out, less than $2k total over all incidents. They never went after the upstairs neighbor's insurance company even though it's settled law in Illinois and explicit in the condo documents that she is responsible. Now not only have I been non-renewed, based on the information they are publishing about me. I cannot get insurance on it. I'm going to have to be homeless basically because the insurer of last resort has such sky-high prices I cannot afford to keep the place.

They have also recorded fraudulent information about claims experience on my auto - publishing as a bodily injury claim something that was just a collision claim. I assume they do this to jack up rates that you see with other insurance providers to prevent you from switching. State Farm is a company to be avoided. They have unethical business practices. The people in the business just say all decisions are made by computer. I was told by an agent Chris ** in Illinois that "well, you should not have used the Insurance you paid for over 11 years...everyone knows you don't actually use your insurance..." So again, it's a mob protection racket. If you don't pay your protection you get homeless. If you try to actually use your protection you get whacked so you can't get protection, and then you get homeless.

Original review: March 1, 2018

After more than 40 years as a State Farm customer - auto, personal belongings and homeowners - I am UTTERLY disappointed and shocked. We discovered that our water heater (located in garage) had a leak when the baseboards in a bedroom began to swell and the carpet was damp. Investigation showed that the water heater had apparently sprung a slow leak - and the water ran down the stand in into wall adjacent to bedroom. As soon as we discovered, we did all the right things with calling plumbers, disconnecting water heater, etc. Work began with State Farm - recommended partners to mitigate it all.

After water heater was gone, walls were demo'd and dryers and dehumidifiers are in place, the claims guy comes too and says they will deny claim. I appealed and his boss denied as well. Reason was that the leak was 'over time' and they don't cover that. Because there was some 'rust' or discoloration in a photo on stand cover, they used this as evidence the leak had been for a prolonged period of time. IN fact, the discoloration was from years ago and never replaced. YET - 8 or 10 years back we had a similar claim on a leak behind refrigerator and it was fully covered. When I asked why the inconsistency, they said - "perhaps the first claim should not have been covered".

I pay for same policy. I expect same coverage. I am not please with weak effort of my agent - who also expressed a bit of surprise at the claim not being covered. Seems the company is a bit arbitrary about what is covered and not covered. This reasoning suggests they only cover 'explosions' and not slow leaks and that the homeowner should check every pipe in walls and under counters weekly to see if there are any 'seeping or slow' leaks. ABSURD. I intend to take all my business elsewhere. Be very careful with State Farm (formerly very reliable - now nothing buy hucksters).

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My chimney on my house fell down causing considerable damage. State Farm plans to deny my claim due to deterioration of the brick. Less than a year prior to this incident a State Farm adjuster was at my house for a claim due to damage as the result a water leak in my ceiling. Adjuster checked my roof and he said that the roof was in great shape. Never once said that either of the chimneys were in bad shape and if not fixed they would cancel my policy which what they generally do. Now the chimney fell down and the house is condemned and the furniture is ruined. Over 20 years a State Farm customer.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

After a storm that damaged my rental property, State Farm depreciated all the damaged property and refused to pay the bid to fix the roof, saying the roofer was overcharging by $200. Then canceled my insurance. My first claim in over 25 years.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Whatever you do, please read the fine print. They will say anything to get you to sign a policy but when you need to file a claim, they are quick to deny you. I had my things destroyed in an storage unit due to rainwater and rodents and they denied my claim stating that I can not show proof that there were a storm and rats eating and pooping on all of your things is not covered. So now, I am sleeping on the floor and have no good clothes to wear to work or TV to watch or even a toaster. Thanks, STATE FARM, you really were there for me when I needed you most (NOT).

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Our entire city sewer got backed up into our basement completely out of our control. We lost thousands and State Farm did nothing. They have a business model where the agent pretends to be on your side fighting for you. The reality is that they are all one company and it is a complete work. I’ve known others who have had multiple lawsuits with them because they refused to pay. They won’t even cover damage to a house from a storm. What’s the point in having insurance if everything out of your control isn’t covered? I will be searching high and low for an actual reputable company if there is one and reading the fine print extra carefully.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Property has had very limited claims, when I phone about possible claims agent has said that is not covered. It is a generally covered loss by some other insurance companies. "Always goes back to the deductible," he says. Really? I found agent to be very questionable during auto experience, said, "Car rental was paid at 80%" - which is not what policy stated. Is also acting with discrimination. After having crunched the numbers on a repair yesterday for tax extension, overall on homeowners they paid a small amount for actual repair costs.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Agent's (Marcella of State Farm Olean NY) lazy employee decided it was easier to cancel our whole new house insurance policy, rather than have home re-inspected for construction details. Whined about aluminum siding and concrete slab foundation when house is clearly (and is clearly indicated by our pre offer inspector) vinyl siding and split level foundation. (Big difference if you are a qualified insurance inspector!) Now we are left with no coverage on a house that was scheduled to close TODAY! AND the refund check is less than what I paid!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Just discovered I was charged 40% more for my home insurance. I discovered this when I received a letter from my mortgage lender that my payment is going up in March by almost $300 more a month because my insurance billed them for close to 1,000 more last year than previous years. When I asked my agent her answer was that we lost a 15% auto discount, I pointed out it wasn’t 15% but 40%. She later emailed me apologizing for her mistake that it was actually a 35% auto discount that we lost. After some research I found out that no such discount exists. Further State Farm’s own website clearly states that the multi line discount is UP TO 17%. I believe they spiked my insurance rate unjustly and billed my mortgage lender but did not make me aware of the charge.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I filed a claim when my HOA billed me for damage they claimed a visitor had done to property. They hadn't followed Ca laws to bill me, but they accepted and reviewed claim anyway. They spoke to three witnesses and then approved the claim. I asked to see what my HOA submitted and the invoices did not match ANY of the damages. I complained to a higher up and he said NONE of the witnesses claimed they saw ANYTHING. How was this approved? He said that he had no info that it had been. It actually was, I told him, by the agent and her supervisor and I had to point out to them the info they had received was bogus!

They didn't even look at it! The agent said the amount didn't warrant any investigation. None was needed, just an actual LOOK. Wow... How completely irresponsible. No wonder insurance is so high. The higher up didn't do anything or feel there was a problem. Are you kidding me? No wonder insurance fraud is such a big business! They don't even thoroughly investigate. Not to mention admitting liability when it's not yours is a very dangerous game. We depend on our insurance to only accept when our liability is proven. Not when blatantly proved not to be.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My mom lives in the Atlanta Georgia area and has State Farm for 35+ years from home, auto. Really being overcharged but that's another story. My mother has never filed a claim. Her house burned November 2016. They said she had lost everything. So when your insurance company tells you that you trust them. They say your property damage coverage is $93,000 you will be okay. 1st lie. Knowing what I know now I should have bought a PODS storage unit and cleaned my furniture and kept it. We didn't take any pictures because there again we lost everything. They didn't explain the need for pictures, but they took pictures. "Ms. ** everything will be okay. We will take care of you. You've been with us a long time."

2nd lie. We get moved back in July of 2017. WHAT MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS if you have lost everything WHY MUST you have to fill out this stupid inventory sheet. For every item you could have possibly had. Room by room, drawer by drawer, closet by closet, window by window. I mean really. I guess this where the pictures would have been helpful to us I guess. It really didn't make a difference. Anyway, they only said with depreciation her entire house is only worth $16,000. Are freaking kidding me.

Mind you we had to pay utilities at the rental they put her in. I have been going back and forth with Mrs. Wendy ** on how the content needs to be verbaged. I have to tell every name brand / type of the shoe, shirt, skirt, purse etc. By how long I had it. To how much I paid for it. I did all that to the best of my ability. Get this to top it all off the lost my father's military flag that they said they were going to have cleaned. They asked my mom was it anything in the house that need desperately to keep. That was my father's military flag, her dad's watch, her mom's cast iron skillets, and a picture. They took those items away to have them cleaned and ready when she came back home.

Of course nobody knows where they are now. They lost it and no one knows what happened to them. But you want to harass me about how I sent the receipt information. My mom's mom died the very next day our house burned down. So now she has no memories of her parents nor the love of her life. Now that the new house is built they have increased the insurance coverage. She went in debt thinking she is getting her money back for each new item she purchases. They are not giving us any more money. You ask what happened to the $93,000 coverage that she so faithfully paid every month to have coverage in case something bad happens.

THEY KEEP IT. And there is nothing we can do. I can't imagine an senior citizen having to compile all this information alone. This company is getting over big time. Some people just give up cause it's clearly too much. Whatever I purchased I need it. Why do I have to tell you the line item I am replacing. Anyone knows what it cost you to purchase furniture years ago is way cheaper than now. So why would you give me the price of my living room what it cost back then. I know GOD is going to make a way to get back everything that we lost.

It cant end like this. My representative was very rude and disrespectful. Not understanding that we don't understand what she is needing. No patience like it was the day of the fire. I refuse to talk to her. When I get off the phone with her I am so confused even more. I have to wait 2 years before I can cancel. I have to purchased all my items for my house before November 2018. My mom is on social security. She can't possibly purchase a entire house in 9 months. Overall this company is not loyal to even the best customer. Awesome company until you file a claim.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I've been insured via State Farm for decades. My policies over the years included homeowners, car and renters. I never considered even getting quotes for other insurance even though I could have likely saved money doing so, why? Because State Farm was my insurance company and my parents insurance company (i.e., it was the family’s insurance company).

This all changed when I was victim to a home robbery. My first claim was for damages incurred and possessions stolen was $3K. The next robbery 3 months later was only damage, due to having anticipated another attempt and hidden all items to likely be stolen, was only $500. Five months after being rendered a victim a second time I received a letter from State Farm thanking me for being a loyal client but conveying their intention to not renew my homeowners policy, two months prior to renewal. I understand Insurance companies work the numbers and play the odds to ensure they're on the positive side of the money game, I don't fault them for responding to my break-ins. I do however fault them for choosing to terminate my homeowner's policy with no warning. Never did my agent convey a likelihood that my insurance would be cancelled if I filed the second claim - never.

What's worse, when I requested an appeal of the ruling, which was granted, I was unable to speak on my own behalf but instead had to really on my very ill-informed agent to speak on my behalf. Did she convey that I spent over $10K replacing perfectly fine windows with unbreakable windows, installed a $2K HD surveillance system, installed a $1K security door and reinforced door casings of all my doors leading outside with steel (to prevent intrusions), all at my own expense? I highly doubt it. But even if she did, apparently it was for not because the finding was the same and no renewal would be granted.

I would've fully understood a raising of my premiums based on the break-ins, of course, but severing the policy with no warning is simply not a sign of a "good neighbor". "Good neighbors" are supposed to be there in your time of need, not just when you don't need them or their service at all. In all the years I had homeowner's policy via State Farm I only needed them twice, but apparently that was one time too many. "Like a good neighbor"... Please, the day I received that letter from State Farm was the day I was rendered a victim for a third time due to my traumatic burglaries. With "good neighbors" like that who on earth needs bad neighbors? I had all my car policies transferred elsewhere and will never do business with State Farm again. Never!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

We have been State Farm policyholders for 35+ years. We recently had a claim with water damage in our basement. They have apparently changed our deductible two years ago without notifying us. Our deductible went from $2500-$7980. Basically there wipes out any cost to State Farm in terms of our claim and leaves everything on our responsibility. I have heard through the years that State Farm is a terrible insurer. Now I have experienced it. Buy my insurance in another company. They are the worst!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Save yourself the trouble. Find another company. In the past three years we have had continuous damage to our roof. We've gone through major wind storms and even the most recent hurricane. Both of my neighbors have had their roofs replaced... By the way our roof is 18 years old and this is the only claim we've ever made to State Farm. This company is terrible and I'm going straight to my agent's office to get yet ANOTHER adjuster out here.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We recently moved into a new home and canceled State Farm Insurance. We spoke to rep who would take care of it only to receive a bill for a period of time that we no longer lived in the house. Called again, was told that we would be refunded, never received refund and was billed again. We are now on our third attempt to cancel and were told we would receive no refund. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have been a SF client for over 10 years, with home, autos (5) and umbrella liability coverage. I had submitted a claim for water damage to a portion of my house, consulted with my agent before submitting the claim and was denied coverage. I expressed my disappointment to my agent who told me he would see what he could do. He asked for me to get a quote from a contractor for repair and I did. After a couple of months, and numerous inquiries by me as to the status, I was informed by letter from SF that my homeowners coverage was not going to be renewed. The reason: for the claim I submitted that nothing was paid on. I have the letter that states that very fact (glad to share with you and all the emails to this agent).

My word of warning is to all members of the community that live in Long Grove, Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich and Hawthorn Woods, Illinois area... Stay away from this guy and his company!! Ryan tries to act like he is a caring member of community (acting president of the chamber of commerce for Long Grove). But he is not! He regularly uses the following lines with customers... "Let me see what I can do with corporate" or "let me talk with corporate and see what I can do". When you hear these words...run! Total BS. Start looking for a new insurance company. This guy and SF are totally incompetent and do not back their coverage. Remember I did nothing that I was not told to do by my agent. Happy to share all documentation on this company and individual. You have been warned!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

In October 2017, we found out that homeowner's insurance provider State Farm was a bank client of our mortgage servicer JPMorgan Chase. Neither business disclosed that they were in business together. Since Chase took over our mortgage in 2013 our insurance premiums have increased significantly. After 25 years as a State Farm customer we bought a new policy and cancel the current one with State Farm. After over twenty request to cancel the policy since October, State Farm is still refusing to cancel the homeowner's policy and refund our money. We cancelled every policy we had with State Farm and every refund check we received was from JPMorgan Chase. Illegal. Avoid doing business with State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Have been with them for years. Would really like to change companies but just don't seem to have the time to investigate other companies. We have the old mold policy on our homeowners insurance that we had grandfathered in when they dropped it as normal coverage years ago. Afraid to drop it in the event we have a flood and get mold.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky