2.23/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

937 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check. They also secured paid hotel accommodations nearby for a week for us. They secured us a fully equipped apartment with everything from towels to silverware. We only had to buy personal items like paper goods etc, we stayed there for 8 months fully paid. Power and water and cable was paid by State Farm and the apartment.

When we finally got settled we found our home was not insured for enough and State Farm gave us 20% more than we were covered for. I don't know why some people have left such terrible reviews but I'm sure it's because of the coverage they chose. I had the best plan offered on my home and when I needed taken care of with the fire I could not have asked for better service or treatment. And my premium did not go up. I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Water came in onto my wood floors from heavy rain. I had just installed new flooring less than year ago. Adjustor came out and said that if the matching floor could not be found that they would have to replace entire floor. They sent a sample to ITEL and they return a report listing floors in the same color family, but they were all much darker in color. Plus it was click and lock and the different manufacturers flooring does not work with my floor. I contacted the State Farm rep. and he sent email saying, "Case closed. Replacement floor located." They never responded to my other emails or calls saying the floor does not match. Unfortunately the damage floor is in front as you walk in.

Had State Farm for over 40 years and never filed a claim on any home. I was shocked that this is how they treat people. Am definitely switching to new company and making everyone I know aware of the way State Farm treats you if a claim is filed. From the first day I had contact with the adjustor he spoke to me very rude. I explained we were unhappy and he said, "Go find another insurance company if you are unhappy." All these years of paying premiums and this was how they treat customers, so to be former customers.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have been with State Farm for 53 years. Paid over $130,000, (5 bills a month to State Farm), 2 homes and 3 cars, including family members. Put in a claim (would be the 3rd that was denied). Agent not helpful and did not care about us. Send out a claims adjuster when he knew the entire time we were getting dropped, 3rd claim, only paid out 1! 2019, new slate with no claims on the record. Claims adjuster sent out did not even want to go on the roof to look at the chimney problem, was going to write a claim based on previous bogus claim... agent basically called us a liar.

Never late on payments in over 25 years with this agent. Then we get a letter that the insurance dropped us! Agent did not have the decency to tell us, but allowed the pending claim to go on with sending adjuster out to the house!! How can State Farm think it is ok to treat a long time customer like this, they paid out less than 10% of what we paid to them in 53 years!! DO NOT RECOMMEND STATE FARM! CUSTOMER SERVICE NEVER CALLED US BACK, NO ANSWER AS TO WHY THEY DROPPED US. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HOW SF TREATED US!! NO LOYALTY!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Three years ago we lost our home to fire, since that time the fire took our belongings and our home, State Farm has taken our health, our financial stability, lost us our second home and now is responsible for the loss of our third home we built to put a roof over our head. They have brought enough stress that I lost my wife, I myself died of a heart attack and brought back by medical services. They have destroyed our security, finance, family and health, taken our trust and ability to function. They have illegally in Canada brought me up in front of commissioner of oath for day of hearing (not legal in Canada). Accused us of fraud and cut off ability to complete claim till it ran out and continually dragged us through mounting lawyer bills, even accusing me of being to blame for closing their Edmonton office due to apparent death threats on employees. This was not backed by authorities and dropped by them when threatened of a slander suit.

We have made deals to take out the fire destroyed home with one employee for agreed price and upon completion brought forward another employee claiming they don't pay that and he is not with firm anymore, something we have found to be not true. They have claimed checks in the hundreds of thousands are in the mail only to turn out to be for 200. They have claimed we could not get paid for house as we did not build on same land, land we lost because of their shortfall on paying, then claims that they would pay for house because of it being in the same area, upon not receiving payment sent a copy of policy saying we did not submit a plan to them before building, so would not be paid. Policy actually says if cost are above your insured amount we would have to submit a plan, we were under. They then put us under investigation for fraud cutting off contact with us till policy expired.

The stress was too much for my wife who battled cancer. I lost my wife due to stress, I have lost the rest of our money to an incompetent lawyer who destroyed any other hope. Three years ago I had a car collection, a successful business, close loving family, beautiful acreage and would holiday two months a year. I as of a week ago have lost my home, my wife, my company, have no money. And because I rescue dogs from around the world, me and my cat and three dogs are homeless, jobless. And due to three heart attacks and a stroke due to stress my health is gone. I have nothing, no dreams and live in as close a place to hell it may as well be, thanks State Farm, you took my faith in mankind. But I am coming for you. You forgot to bury me. I am going to expose you for who you really are and will not quit till I die. I still have my mind, my only weapon, and the only one I need.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had State Farm Insurance for years and years for home and auto - so did my whole family from Grandparents on. My husband and I bought a beautiful vintage (read 100 year old) home. 15 years later we got divorced. We NEVER filed a claim on the home. After the divorce we rented the home to my sister. They had a chimney fire and called State Farm to inquire about filing a claim, but never filed one. Then the upstairs bathroom required replacing because the ancient house had ancient plumbing. We filed a claim and were denied due to ancient house having ancient plumbing that was not up to date - DUH! Then State Farm dropped us. They never ever even paid a claim, or anything at all! We had filed a claim, though, so they dropped us. Shame on State Farm. I have since had Liberty Mutual, who actually not only pays your claims, but makes sure you are well taken care of. And DOESN'T drop you for filing. Steer AWAY from State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I want to update my complaint of last week. I would definitely not recommend this ins co. They have the most reckless rhetoric. They confuse & refuse. Their main insurance adjuster called us up & asked if we felt they were treating veterans differently than other persons. He started questioning my husband's service record. We heard another excuse for temporary housing reimbursement. We should have rented another place (my husband is sick from breathing toxic molds, furniture contaminated & house under construction). That is when I told him they treat everyone like dirt.

We are 2 disabled seniors who were unfortunate to rent a house from their insured. Their defense attorneys must be hand picked for being spiteful. They know our ex attorney did not give us our complete file & did not answer motions amongst other malpractice. They went into court and did not email us the court decision, instead mailed it to our former address. They have our email & were advised by us to send any & all information to us.

I called defense by accident and gave them our new address. We have been struggling to put our file together to hire another attorney, as we need to recover our retirement account. They are only interested in Their bottom line, It is all about PROFIT and MONEY and that is important. They are underhanded and should be ashamed of themselves for their unethical practices. I have again reported their outrageous acts to the Department of Insurance. They do not like any bad publicity. They want you to think they are your Good Neighbor, but don’t go & borrow a cup of sugar from them. Please find Mr. Rogers. You will be better off.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance good or bad for over 30 years. My current house has been covered since 1997 by them. The only claim made was a grease fire in January of this year which cost around $6,000.00. Consider my surprise when I received a notice now canceling my homeowner's insurance due to that one claim. I may be wrong, but apparently this is not a company that is looking beyond the bottom line. I am not sure what the trigger was for this, since one claim seems a bit of overkill. Maybe due to the fact that I have really had no major claims in all these years, I did not realize how bad of a company State Farm was. So now I research new homeowner's insurance and my auto will move also. It will cost me to move the auto insurance, but peace of mind is more important. Please share my message to hopefully help others.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

After having our homeowner's insurance with State Farm for over 30 years, as well as three cars insured with them, we had a claim for roof damage and siding damage from a hail storm last year totaling approximately $18,000. About 10 years ago, we had a claim for a damaged floor due to a leaking dishwasher for $2,000. We wondered if our rates would go up. They did not... Instead we were informed that due to excessive claims, we would be dropped. We searched and searched and finally found ONE company willing to insure us. Be careful of making claims, even if they are totally legit. At least we got the satisfaction of cancelling all of our auto policies with them. Our agent actually had the nerve to call us asking why we cancelled the auto policies. Hmmm...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had a claim for a roof and other damage to my home from a storm we had in June 2018. The adjuster was very nice and they paid the claim with no problem, however now it is renewal time and I received a letter they are not renewing my policy. These jokers should be in jail.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Called State Farm to put a claim in for my mother whose lights were out for 4 days due to "Hurricane Florence". I was told by the rep that if my mother filed a claim to replace her spoiled items that she could stand a chance of being canceled in the future because she had a claim 2 yrs. ago. My mother is 86 yrs old and have been with State Farm for a eternity and during that time she has only filed 1 claim. Each month State Farm took her money and no one said it would be a negative outcome if she paid on time monthly. I am very disappointed in this company that joyfully take your premium monthly and poorly service you in a time of need.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Our neighbor's home exploded and damaged our home and garage. The contractors that STATE FARM recommended have been horrible to work with. They are unresponsive and lack a sense of urgency in completing the work. When asked STATE FARM to intervene and mediate, still no progress. It has been a full year since the accident and we are still without a garage. We are fast approaching another Illinois winter with no garage.

Our experience with STATE FARM and the contractors they recommended has been horrible; disappointing and infuriating. We just wanted STATE FARM on our side to ensure we are made whole again and it seems like they just make excuses for the contractor. Again, it's been a full year and nothing other than ply board over the damage on the garage has been completed. The entire garage has to come down and I'm not confident it will be complete before winter which means it might take up to 2 years before we see a completed garage. Does that sound right to anyone?!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

On August 6th we noticed multiple spots of water leaks in the kitchen ceiling. I assumed this was from Master Bath as the Master Bath was over Kitchen where the leak appeared. I immediately put in the claim in telling them possibly the leak was from the Master Bath shower. They asked me to pick 1 out of 3 water remediation company and I chose Service Master randomly. State Farm called Service Master and scheduled for them to come in. I settled on 20th August to start work. I even asked State Farm that do I need to wait till the State Farm Adjuster comes in before the work to begun. I was told No.

My assumption was that State Farm and Service Master knows what needs to be done. Immediately, Service Master demolished the Master Bath Shower, flooring, and Cabinet Toe Kick. They started their heat/blower treatment. The State Farm adjuster came on 24th August and started saying this is a long term leak and was berating the Service Master on why they junked what they removed from the Master Bath. She then proceeded to deny the claim saying the water leak was long term leak. Service Master had already disposed off the shower pan and shower walls made of cultured marble. Now, I have no payment to replace the demolition of Master Bath and a denial of claim. I am very unhappy with the way State Farm has handled this claim. Very disappointed customer of State Farm.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased a different homeowners insurance and State Farm has denied to reimburse me stating I didn't notify them, which I did. This happened eight months ago and based on information from my mortgage company I thought they reimbursed them directly. Since I don't see the mortgage company pay them, I wasn't expecting to see the reimbursement. Didn't realize they didn't cancel my policy until I received a renewal notice. I have tried to reconcile this with them to no avail.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

BEWARE neighbors. Anyone affected by the recent storms? State Farm is trying to pay nothing on claims. If anything the absolute bare minimum. I had been a customer for over 37 years. Not 1 claim on my home and when I needed them, nothing. 7 weeks of stress, time, and paying out of my own pocket. They expected me to be without A/C in the midst of 115-121 degrees, no offer for a hotel, NOTHING. I suggest you look into other reputable companies, the cost, and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. My agent is right near Moon Valley and is fully aware of the storm's damage that has taken place in the past 2 months. Their claims adjusters are not there to help you, they are there to let you know you have paid increases because of catastrophes and now that you need help they can't pay out because too many people took advantage over the years. This is not a Rinky Dink company. GO ELSEWHERE, STATE FARM IS TERRIBLE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

State Farm Insurance policy is the worst policy I've ever experienced, their water damage policy is not worth the paper it's written on. I filed a claim for damages and they used the benefit of wording to deny claim based upon leaks for weeks, months, or years. SF failed to pay for the water restoration and for the repairs. I ended up with a $30,000 dollars bill out of pocket cost $7,600 of which was for water restoration. A word to the wise, read SF reviews especially pertaining to water damage.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have had two roofing companies inspect my roof and say that there was significant wind and hail damage. Both took pictures which showed problems State Farm's adjuster has contradicted their findings and said there is no damage. While I realize that roofing companies have an incentive to replace roofs, they do not have an incentive to waste time on good roofs. I have had State Farm homeowners insurance for over 20 years and their auto insurance for 50 years. Several other homes in my area have experienced hail and wind damage and their roofs have been replaced by different insurance companies. While I am not personally a roofing expert, I am concerned that in the pursuit of profits, State Farm is downplaying damage and dodging paying for legitimate claims.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have had some type of policy with State Farm Insurance since I was 16 years old and first got my driver's license. I currently have several life insurance policies and a policy for insurance on my home. While I was on a 10 day vacation with my family, my house was broken into. TVs, laptops, jewelry, and some very expensive designer purses were stolen. MD State Police are investigating and have the full details in my police report. State Farm is REFUSING to pay me for all of my items. They are not treating me as the victim in this situation. The "run-around" that they are giving me is ridiculous. Who has receipts from items they've owned for a few years? They take my money every month but won't pay me for my items. It's appalling and they are severely damaging the 32 year relationship that I have had with them. My agent, Steve **, has NOT intervened on my behalf.

There is PROOF that the person who stole my items has tried to sell them, yet I STILL cannot get my money. After this is resolved, I will be canceling each and EVERY policy I have with State Farm. It is appalling and disturbing that loyal customers are treated as such. It has been well over a month. I have spoken to many different claims reps but nobody can help. They continue to tell me that they will not pay until they get a police report. MD State Police will NOT give out a police report until the investigation is fully closed. This could take MONTHS!!! Meanwhile, it has cost me money to replace my stolen items. How fair is this? I have been a loyal customer for way too many years to be treated as such and I will BLAST State Farm on every social media outlet I can. I will NEVER do business with this company again. They have gotten my money for 32 years. I've never had a claim, EVER and this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’ve been a State Farm customer for 40 years with all auto and homeowners. I recently had wind and hail damage and the adjusters refuse to replace my roof. They want it repaired which looks patchy. The roofers can’t guarantee the repairs because they are causing damage to surrounding shingles. State Farm refuses to listen to the problems. I have since filed a complaint with the state.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have been State Farm customers for 30 years. We reported a claim in 2015 for hail damage to our roof because— an adjuster came out and said no damage. Even though my entire neighborhood received new roofs. The adjuster said the hail cloud skipped our home. In 2016 I noticed a leak in my kitchen. I called my agent and she said I needed to call a roofer — I did and on his inspection he said they made a mistake in 2015. We do need a new roof. So I called the agent again. State Farm said my conversation with my agent was in March 2016 but State Farm came to inspect the roof in July 2016– they gave us Money then.

Workers of State Farm Home office said they were told in July 2016. Keep in mind I called my agent about the hailstorm of 2015 but State Farm said we had a wind storm in 2016. It has been mass confusion — but since I didn’t have my roof repaired by March 2018 they want release the remainder of the money to repair my roof. I understand that we needed to have the roof replaced but my husband and the independent roofer worked on the area that leaked. Roofer came out and gave bids but wasn’t included our shop so it was a nightmare getting all the bids — and then Harvey came through Houston and one roofer left for that job. If valued customers are held to State Farm’s time frame should they send notification that your time is about to expire. Unless that is what they hope for.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have reached out multiple times regarding an issue I am having with a lost insurance check. The check was only signed by one endorser so the bank declined to cash it. However, they will not give the check back. They say it is up to my insurance company to reissue a new check. State Farm will not reissue a check because they are showing it being cashed. BECAUSE IT IS PENDING IN MY BANK NOW FOR 2 WEEKS. I understand that this is partially my fault. However, they are doing nothing to help me. I have so much damage to my home and no money to fix the issues.

I have asked that they get in contact with my bank to confirm that the check has not been cashed and that the funds will not be deposited into my account but they will not even attempted to help me sort out this issue. I have sent screenshots of the pending amount showing rejected. This all happening while water continues to leak through my ceiling. I like many other people live paycheck to paycheck and have no money to fix any issues myself. Each time I reach out to speak to a supervisor I am directed somewhere else. I am at a loss. You can bet once this is over and resolved I will be looking elsewhere to cover our home and auto.

Original review: June 25, 2018

State Farm has been operating in bad faith on my home insurance claim. They are bullying my contractors and denying the damages. If you have one through them you should get out now. They are horrible.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We've only had a door replaced and flood damage of around $2000 which was quickly taken care of. We also couple our vehicle insurance and love the discount app.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Have had State Farm for around at least 50 years. They are probably as reliable as any other insurance company. They pay off about like any other company (they are not cheap) but overall they have covered my needs.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Filing a claim to State Farm was alright. But no insurance company is perfect. And I don’t like how State Farm do policy when you have other people living at the same address and everyone have their own individual policy.

Original review: June 13, 2018

AVOID THIS COMPANY IN WAVERLY HUMPHREYS COUNTY TN LIKE THE PLAGUE. They are fine for auto, but for homeowners they are only good if you never have a claim. If you are with these folks get out now and find someone else. The agent is the nearest nothing ever. The office manager is the only bright spot, she is a good person whose hands are tied and the agent is only interested in selling you life insurance and taking your premiums. I have a water damage claim, my policy is total replacement, their adjuster knows more than the contractor (so he thinks), and will not agree with the estimate. I wish that I had never switched my homeowner's insurance to them. I will be moving all of my business elsewhere and sincerely advise you to avoid this office.

Original review: June 12, 2018

State Farm 740 NJ 18 East Brunswick - I had a very bad experience with them. They don't have any experience at all especially **. She has a very bad attitude. She also forgot to give me the paperwork for my home insurance. Overall I don't recommend this office and when I went to her manager he said it's not first complaint about **.

Original review: June 12, 2018

State Farm is a good company, but it charges outrageously high premiums for its policies. You do not get any extra discounts unless you demand them. The company will not revise anything for you, but if you ever have an accident, that's it. You're done.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Had a claim after hitting a deer, which left me with no vehicle to drive. Took a long time to settle. Insurance is a little high in Florida. No sinkhole insurance unless my house falls in a hole.

Original review: June 11, 2018

During the recent tornado my pool and hot tub were damaged. The wind tore the covers off them and debris entered. There was also a small piece of siding tore off as well a garden gate. An agent came out to estimate the damage. Then I received an email saying that the damage was smaller than my deductible. He only mentioned the siding and the gate and not the pool and hot tub. My pool company and I have been going back and forth with them for a month. Now they are saying that the pool company or me have to prove the tornado did the damage! They are terrible to work with.

Original review: June 11, 2018

State Farm treats you like family. Great rates for home and car, including coverage for rv's, boats, 4 wheelers, etc. They help you after an accident, to make you whole again. Ex: rental car, Dr, etc. I've been with State Farm almost 20 years now, and I was very thankful I had insurance with State Farm when my son was rear ended. The car was totaled. The driver of the SUV was only in the States to help open a wind turbine plant. It was a mess. State Farm did all the heavy lifting, I didn't have to do anything. Drop them a line, see what you're missing.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America’s largest and most popular homeowners insurance companies. Headquartered in Bloomington, IN, the company has been providing Americans different types of insurance since 1922.

• Financially strong: State Farm is a large, reputable company, and it is a financially safe choice when choosing a homeowners insurance company.

• Good reputation: State Farm is one of the largest and most used homeowners insurance companies in the world, attesting to its reputation as an excellent provider.

• Additional programs: The company offers additional programs beyond basic homeowners insurance. These include a Florida and Louisiana Hurricane Mitigation program and discount programs for people who are claims free, using multiple State Farm policies, and who made steps to increase home safety like installing fire sprinklers.

• Customer service: Many customers complain that customer service is impersonal.

• Coverage: State Farm’s homeowners insurance policies have limits, and they do not cover business pursuits at a home. Business owners working at home should be sure to get a commercial real estate policy to cover the space they use in their home and their work belongings.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky