Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

PROS

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

CONS

• Fairly high rates

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspected the damage and issued a check. We were never disappointed... State Farm has always been there for us.

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check... I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Our recently purchased condo was flooded due to our upstairs neighbor's water heater bursting. It was a headache, but we called our agent who guided us on the process of calling a mitigation company. It took some time for our policy to be finalized given we had just closed on the property, but once it was, State Farm sent out an appraiser to inspect the damage.

Two weeks later, we got an estimate for repairs from the appraiser. During this time, we had 5 different contractors come to give us estimates. Since all estimates were higher the state farms appraiser, State Farm negotiated with our favorite contractor, and they agreed on a budget. They then sent us a check and we dispersed the money to the contractor.

I would say there are pros and cons to their model. Pros: you can choose who you want to do the construction and mitigation/ the negotiation process was quick. Cons: you’re in charge of dispersing the money. (So basically this elongated the process by at least 2 weeks. We had to send the check first to our mortgage company to endorse and then into our bank Processing center since they wouldn’t accept the check amount as a branch deposit.) Overall, given it was an overall stressful experience, our experience with State Farm was positive.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have my house and two other cars with State Farm. Their prices are fair. My house got hit with a very bad hail storm, State Farm took care of the new roof, new siding, some tree damage.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My house caught fire on March 21, 2019 around 5-6 PM. I call my insurance agent to notified about the fire and him Matt ** came to my home the same night to support us and to make sure we get place in a hotel until the house get restore, next day the adjuster from the insurance met with us also and together with Matt, Mrs. ** went over the policy with me and my wife and here we are in a nice hotel. Not like been home but better than been on the street or friends and family. I have my own space, they call or write to us every day to make sure we are doing alright, for me their service are triple AAA. Matt ** and Mrs. ** keep the good work and service.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We’ve had State Farm since moving to Arkansas about 8 years ago. Home auto and business insurance. We had pretty high winds here in Arkansas and a lot of shingles had blown off. We filed a claim and State Farm paid for total replacement for a new roof! I was very happy with their service. The adjuster came quick. The check was mailed quickly. We of course had to mail check to Flagstar Bank for endorsement also. Everything was all done roof included within 2 weeks! The check was less than 10,000 because of our deductible but it was not a bad experience for us considering it was our first claim. I’ve heard of insurances dropping you after a claim. We will see how that goes. Will update if something like that happens but So far it’s was great!

Original review: March 2, 2020

I'm a 100% disabled Veteran & without my consent, State Farm cancelled my home insurance from a voicemail???? I had everything included in my mortgage. I tried calling & had to speak repeatedly to mindless, uneducated children who cared more about playing games on the company's computers than actually doing anything. AVOID state farm AT ALL COSTS... READ ALL OF THE HORRIBLE REVIEWS OF THESE IDIOTS. WARNING to any neighbors, I just might leave a simple voicemail & your insurance will be cancelled by some dumb ** who can't even tie a shoelace. ** YOU STATE FARM????

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

My home was insured with State Farm Insurance. We had storm/tornado/hail damage to our property in Texas. We filed claim within 3 days of damage. The adjuster assigned to us never showed up until 2 months later. State Farm refused to pay our claims. State Farm Insurance is happy to collect the premium that you pay. The Company will continue to be a good company until you make a claim. If you make any claim no matter how small, State Farm will either cancel your policy or totally reject your claim and will be willing to fight you in court. Beware; avoid this company or you will regret having anything to do with it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have been with SF for many years with no claims. I have high deductibles to keep price in check. This year I had two claims. One was a tornado that blew some shingles off my roof, the inspector came out and dismissed it, and there was no repairs needed. The second claim was after a hurricane in that case many shingles were blown loose and on to the ground, along with a scratch on my truck from the debris. The inspector indicated about one third of the roof was impacted, and his professional opinion was repair the roof. Now this is no shack and the existing roof is 10 years old, on which I pay for full replacement in my policy with a 5,000 dollar deductible.

After speaking with several roofing contractors who all agreed a new roof was in order I called the adjuster, he told me the truck should have been in the garage, and he did not care what anyone said. He stands by his inspection, what a conceited and ignorant man. So now I have a $200,000 house that they want me to pay $3,000 out of pocket for a patch job. The end result is I will put a new roof on my house and no one will dictate to me what I will do with my property. I am moving all my business to another company because I am the customer, and they are the service company. I had similar problems with my auto insurance, the local office is great, but for any claims it will be a 1 800 number and then it is not personal anymore, I am so unhappy with this company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Insured with State Farm homeowners insurance since 1978... that’s 41 years. This year we had 2 claims related to a micro-burst causing damage to gutters and some water damage... total reimbursement $4,025. This was the only claim in 41 years. Just opened a cancellation notice because the policy “is becoming unprofitable.” How is a payout of 4 thousand after the thousands we have paid out over 41 years plus the interest they made on that money “unprofitable?" Pass on their offer for any insurance, certainly no loyalty there.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I cannot warn you enough! Like a good neighbor State Farm will not be there. Do not believe their commercials. I, like most other people have always considered State Farm to be a top rated insurance company until I had a house claim a month ago for a leak in my bathroom. From the second I called my agent he begun to tell me how Tough it was to get a claim for a leak covered. He even told me that 1 of his family members left them due to a denied claim. So I begun to ask him, "What do you mean? Why would a leak not be covered?" And all he could reply was, "I don't really know if it will or not," and boy was he right!

From the second I called to make a claim the lady I spoke to told me she would not authorize any work be done. Told me I had to hire a plumber to figure out where the leak was coming from and what the problem was at my own expense and she would send a gesture out to see if it was a covered claim. Look I don't wanna ramble on. I am not the best writer but I will tell you this. The claims adjuster came out and immediately declined the claim and said, "Any leaks are not covered under your homeowner's policy." I was never informed this when I got my home owner's insurance and was not aware that water leaks are not covered claims. Run folks run! If you don't believe me just start doing some research and you will see from hundreds of other people who have left bad reviews that I am telling you the truth.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My 6800 sq. ft home experienced severe electrical damage by apparent surge or lightning. I filed on November 18th and over 3 weeks went by before a returned call (after chasing them) and then a nightmare ever since. My son and I are left without any heat meanwhile and hot water no hot water in the kitchen or my son's room and guest rooms. The electrician I hired referred from my SF agent says the home is dangerous and we should not be here. The home to repair will cost in the six figures most likely and I've been told that this is why it prolongs approval. It's a shame to be treated so by this company when I have never once had an homeowner claim and when you need them they do not respond for weeks and then torture their customers over a claim. I am so upset and sorry I trusted them.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information