Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
3.94/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

989 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2019

I left State Farm looking for a cheaper insurance and then all the other places raised their rates too. So I tried to go back to State Farm and they said, "No. We will not take you back." Never had a Claim in all the over 40 years I have been a customer.

Original review: March 20, 2019

They're great up front and look like the perfect company for you... We have been paying them monthly for 2 years on a lot of "ifs." But when push comes to shove they're just about keeping the easy money and won't do anything to help you through a process when you need the "if" factor they sell you on. If you have to use them buy what you need and only what need. Anything else is BS. They cover half of what the agent says they will and I will be pursuing legal action against that claim. Also avoid Sarah ** - State Farm Insurance Agent.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This is the worst Insurance Company ever. If I could give them negative marks I would. Been with State Farm for over 15 years with car and homeowners. They wrote a policy on my house and then when I made a claim they told me my pitch on my roof is off and they can't cover it. The adjuster came out to the house and told me my pitch was off in the State Farm will not cover it and that's my own problem. Never seen a dime off of that. Then when our main sewer line broke under the house 2 years later. I called they said I don't have dwelling in my Insurance policy. We replaced the main pipe and the flooring that the backup on (Our own money). Then they counted that call as a claim. This past year we had wind damage and they gave us around $200.00. This past week I get a call from my Insurance Agent saying that State Farm is canceling our Homeowners Insurance due to too many claims. It is March 20th and they are canceling it May 16th.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received a quote from State Farm for my home and Auto Insurance the end of January 2019. After this was nothing but a nightmare. State Farm switched my Home Owners insurance, without notifying they had done so. I will be filing a complaint with the State of Indiana, including all the documentation showing the Agent and State Farm lied and misrepresented themselves. I have a complete paper trail that documents State Farm Insurance is not a company you would want to do business with. State Farm reduced my Homeowners insurance from $200,000 to $36,000, and never notified me. I contacted the main office for State Farm, and they would do nothing, need to speak to the Agent.

I called the Agent Josh ** on his cell, after leaving 2 messages at his office. Did not receive a call from anyone, even though Mr. ** had plenty of time to be on Facebook. I just receive a bill from State Farm for $88.00 Premium for 2/13/19 thru 3/23/19. My escrow account paid yearly Premium as quoted of $1,200.00 on February. Even though I cancelled my Homeowner Insurance effective 12:01 am 3/12/19. I have yet to see my refund, even though I am now insured by Allstate without any issues.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was working on the inside of my home and it started to rain. Nothing unusual, except it started leaking into my house. I put a hole in the drywall to ensure it wasn't a pipe or anything like that. It was coming from the outside, not exactly sure where. Contacted State Farm and argued with the representative for hours because he wouldn't send a claim adjuster until I have proven without doubt it was damaged from the storm. How can a homeowner do that? I had multiple contractors to review and all but 1 said they would like to help me but won't work with State Farm. The only thing to do is tear up the side of my brick house to find out where water will leak.

After giving the quote to State Farm they came out, didn't look at the outside but only agreed to pay for the damage inside. Discussing with them, the call in number specialist, and their manager. I was simply told if I can't determine show them where the water came in, how it was damaged (time, day, event), prove the hole size that water could flow in, and I had to pay everything upfront to find it. After weeks of discussing, I got a letter from State Farm telling me if I didn't fix the issue of the water leaking they will cancel my insurance. I discussed this the manager and said water probably came in by poor maintenance and it is the "joys of owning a home". How do you maintenance a brick wall? My recommendation is be a good State Farm customer and find another company to deal with. They will not help and ultimately it is the homeowner's responsibility to know if anything changes outside before it occurs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: March 8, 2019

STEER CLEAR OF STATE FARM AND THIS AGENCY!!! On January 22 I was sleeping only to be awakened in the middle of the night by running water gushing from my ceiling. Apparently I had a frozen pipe. Water must’ve been running for hours and an estimated 3000 gallons of water flooded my home. I contacted my agent to report the claim. I was then contacted by State Farm claims and before they would send an adjuster or to honor my claim any further, and I have a letter that proves it, they asked me to get a plumber to the come to the home and write a written report as to why the pipe failed??? Are you kidding me?...

Under the terms on my policy, I’m covered for water damage in my primary residence, being at home with the heat on. Could not get a plumber to come to the home and write a report, and I called my agent's office several times to ask them to intervene to help send an adjuster to look at my damages. They could not and not do anything for me. Couldn’t even find me a plumber to come to my house to help me. After about a week I gave up and contacted a public adjuster who was able to help me.

When I called my agent TROY ** to intervene for me because no adjuster was coming, my house was in shambles, my fiancee was sneezing and coughing all over the house because she has asthma and is allergic to all the dust from all of the remediation fans blowing, the agent pretty much told me to go pound sand. So... because I was represented by a public adjuster... that he couldn’t do anything for me and that State Farm claims wouldn’t even take his call. That’s really great neighbor service isn’t it? Won’t even pick up the phone and try to make a call to help this customer out. Doesn’t sound like a good neighbor to me.

SINCE JANUARY 22, I don’t have an estimate from State Farm, I don’t have a check... and I have no confirmation that my claim will be paid. They did send an adjuster about 2 weeks ago (do you believe it took a month to send an adjuster to look at my damages?). And now all of sudden because I am fighting City Hall, we’re playing the old shell game... Now another adjuster been assigned to come out and look at the damages... Starting the whole claim from scratch... isn't that great service!!??

So, from January 22 there is no estimate, no promise of payment, no advice as to what to do regarding any water or mold damage, etc... no itemize list of agreed-upon damages, NO HELP FROM MY AGENT AFTER REPEATED CALLS... nothing. And to top it off most of my furniture has been thrown away because it was soaking wet and started to smell of mold. No guarantee they’ll pay for that either... I guess if it’s not here, since this new adjuster wants to start from scratch. The only two communications I received from State Farm was one telling me to get a plumber's report before they would consider the claim further, and (2) is another letter indicating that if I disagreed with their determination that I can file for arbitration. I guess I’m not the only one that receives a lousy service if they’re sending letters like that right off the bat.

If anybody expects or thinks this is a good neighbor service they are sadly mistaken. STAY AWAY FROM STATE FARM and AGENT TROY **!!! And the last thing I would do is try to piss my customer off and tell them that there’s nothing they can do. There’s always something you can do! As if I’m wrong or something because I wanted to get a public adjuster to represent me. It isn’t like I went a whole week not asking for help. When my house was flooded. Sending multiple emails to State Farm claims asking them to send an adjuster. What a God awful rotten way to treat a good paying customer. To top it all off I have a son with severe autism who is in a residential facility. I can’t even take my boy home. And no one at State Farm cares. Nobody. Signed, a frustrated customer that did nothing wrong other than call in a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was with my prior carrier for over 10 years. I kept getting postcards in the mail from local agent that could save me money. I called them and they asked how much I was paying. That was my first mistake. They were able to beat my rate and when I called my agent to cancel, he told me it was unusual for State Farm to beat their company's rates. He asked me to bring the insurance to his office when I got in mail. I did what he asked and he saw that State Farm gave me a higher deductible, less coverage on the house and rated masonry, which my house has vinyl siding. One month later I got another invoice in the mail from State Farm. I called the State Farm agent up and he said the rating was wrong. I asked if it was due to masonry and he said yes. I told him I never said it was masonry and it wasn't my fault. He said he was sorry but couldn't do anything. I canceled everything and went back to my agent who never lied to me in 10 years.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My husband and I have been with State Farm over 30 years including cars, jewelry and life insurance. After a major straight line wind and hail storm we had significant damage to our roof and windows. Our agent provided the contractor to repair all the damage. The roofing company did not use the right size nails and for the next 10 plus years we paid out of our pocket to replace shingles. We had our agent out several times to show him the shoddy work but to no avail until a roofing company contacted the claims office. The State Farm adjuster stated that was one of the worst roofing jobs he had ever seen.

The roof was replaced finally but fast forward to this past fall when we discovered the water line to our refrigerator had been leaking for no telling how long and mold was growing up the walls and cabinets. State Farm did repair everything including our hardwood floors. Our agent called us today to inform us that they were cancelling our homeowner’s policy. Really?? Like a good neighbor my foot! Morally wrong on every level. I believe State Farm owes me the premiums I have paid all these years minus what they have paid in a few claims. Why not just raise my deductible or premiums? Instead we have to spend hours searching for another carrier. To all you recent graduates headed out on your own be very careful in who you choose and I highly recommend anyone other than State Farm.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

First and only claim in twenty-two years. Hurricane Florence tore most of the shingles and paper off our fifteen year old roof. Thus allowing cascades of water to pour into our two story house damaging insulation, drywall, ceilings, floors, electrical fixtures in the majority of our home for four days before we were able to get a tarp on the roof. Dealing with State Farm nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown. Finally I had to turn all dealings with them over to my daughter just to keep from ending up in the hospital. Though she is very resourceful, she eventually hired an independent adjuster because she could get nowhere with them. We got multiple estimates. The best for the roof was $8500, for the interior work $50000. Even with the public adjuster we only ended up with $30000 total from State Farm.

We had to reach out to volunteer groups to get much of the work done as there was not enough to pay the contractors. They did do a fine job. After four months we are still displaced. Additional living expenses are not forthcoming. We are two months behind in the rental and have to yet to get any payment for dry cleaning, utilities, gasoline, or food. The monies were made out to us, and the mortgage company so now we are having to jump through hoops to get the money from them. A very knowledgeable help desk said that they didn't know how to deal with this as they had not seen any other insurance company make out checks this way. Bottom line? Stay away from State Farm!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I handled a homeowner's insurance claim on behalf of my uncle who was hospitalized at the time, and the total related costs to repair his house were $45,000. After paying insurance premiums to State Farm for over 30 years, this was the first claim ever made on his policy. They canceled his insurance policy immediately after the claim was filed and only paid $25,000 of the claim when I was ensured in the beginning that he had coverage for the actual cost of the repairs. The adjuster simply said that State Farm feels that my contractor's fees were too high for what they thought were reasonable, so we're just out the money that we paid for the repairs. They didn't offer any assistance in finding a contractor that would work for half price, and I chose the cheapest bid that I got. I'm glad I didn't go with the middle ground bid I got because I would really be out some money then. This is a horrible company. I would never get insurance with them again.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information