Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Pacific Specialty Insurance

Pacific Specialty Insurance

1.6/5 (58 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Pacific Specialty Insurance

Pacific Specialty offers homeowners insurance and a variety of other coverages. It provides multipolicy discounts (including savings for bundling with auto coverage from any insurer) and flexible payment plans. The company doesn’t let you purchase insurance online, but you can work with a local agent to find out if it suits your needs.

Top Pacific Specialty Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Specialty Insurance Company?

I have had several positive experiences with Pacific Specialty Insurance… When the hail storm hit, the claim was paid. It was as simple as that. I have several neighbors who were ...

Verified

Both my home and my boat are insured with Pacific Specialty and the process to get insured was painless and pleasant. Their customer service is excellent… I really appreciate that...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Pacific Specialty home insurance?

Pacific Specialty is an insurer that provides property coverage for a variety of homeowners and home types, including:

• Traditional homeowners insurance: In the event of a total loss, Pacific Specialty’s homeowners insurance offers extended replacement cost coverage above the dwelling limit to make sure you have enough to rebuild. The policy also pays for living expenses while your home is being repaired.
  • Renters insurance: Like its home insurance, Pacific Specialty’s renters insurance offers replacement cost coverage, as well as liability protection.
  • Condos/townhomes insurance: Pacific Specialty offers identity theft protection through its condo and townhouse policies.
  • Mobile homes insurance: Pacific Specialty’s mobile home coverage is designed for single- and double-wide homes, with primary, rental or seasonal occupancy and added coverage for golf carts. Seniors are eligible for mobile home policy discounts.

Pacific Specialty also provides liability, powersports and watercraft insurance, as well as earthquake insurance up to $2.5 million, which you can purchase as an addition to home insurance or as a standalone policy. Earthquake coverage includes up to $100,000 for loss of use and enhanced coverage options for pools and valuables.

How does Pacific Specialty home insurance work?

Because the company specializes in home insurance, Pacific Specialty lets you bundle your home coverage with any other carrier’s auto policy. You can customize your policy to fit your needs, with an add-on liability coverage option for extra property protection (up to $2 million).

To insure a home with Pacific Specialty, you’ll need to take inventory of your belongings. In the event of a claim, you will need to provide the following information:

• Original purchase price
  • Original purchase date
  • Receipts or supporting documents
  • Personal photographs
  • Warranty cards
  • Service receipts
  • Credit card statements
  • Canceled checks
  • Any other supporting evidence of ownership

Pacific Specialty typically resolves claims within 40 days.

Pacific Specialty home insurance quotes and costs

Pacific Specialty’s home insurance prices aren’t available online, but you can contact its customer service to get a quote. Factors that influence property insurance premiums include:

• Age of dwelling
  • Roof age and type
  • Home construction type

Pacific Specialty’s deductible options range from $500 to $5,000. The company offers flexible payment plans, and you can save money by bundling policies. The company will work with your bank if you prefer to pay from an escrow or impound account.

Pacific Specialty home insurance FAQ

Where is Pacific Specialty home insurance available?
Pacific Specialty’s home insurance is available in all 50 states. Search for a local office by ZIP code on the company website.
Where is Pacific Specialty located?
Pacific Specialty is located in Palo Alto, California. Its independent agents have offices in locations throughout the U.S.
Can I file home insurance claims online with Pacific Specialty?
No, Pacific Specialty doesn’t offer home insurance claims service online.
Does Pacific Specialty home insurance cover mold?
Pacific Specialty’s website doesn’t state whether or not its home insurance policies cover mold damage; ask your agent about this coverage option.

Is Pacific Specialty home insurance worth it?

If you need flexible property insurance with options for enhanced liability coverage, Pacific Specialty might be a good fit. Some California customers will appreciate the recent rate reductions in HO3 insurance and its earthquake insurance option. Mobile homeowners will also find a range of suitable coverage. Though you can’t compare quotes or sign up for service online, Pacific Specialty’s local agents work directly with you to find the right coverage.

Pacific Specialty Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Specialty Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Turning up was much faster and easier than expected. Deborah was super nice and friendly, let me know all of my options, and wasn't pushy in the slightest. I got signed up with policy that fit all my needs and was not nearly as expensive as other quotes that I've gotten.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

They are always pleasant to deal with, they make it easy to renew my policy. When I have needed them, they made their part the most easy. The towing option is a life saver too! Their prices are competitive if not better than others in this field. How many companies have you been with for 20 year, that you can't ever remember a problem with? I wish everything was a responsive and well run.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2021

PSIC phone representatives are always friendly and consistent. Yesterday, Jill as well as her son each helped me with different steps to complete a couple of changes for a client's homeowners insurance policy.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Over the years I have had a very good experience with Pacific Specialty. After many years with them, the first time I had to make a claim has been just recently and Matthew ** was assigned to me as my Claims Adjuster. I was/am truly impressed with how professional, efficient, helpful and overall easy to talk to and always available he was when I had questions. I think Matthew is probably one of the best insurance adjusters I've ever dealt with hence I will be referring this company to everyone I know who owns or rents property in California.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

My vehicle was into broken into 5/2021. It's now 10/2021. No payment on loss. Darren ** an "investigator" repeatedly made me feel undermined, insulted, and disrespected. This caused me to search for more reviews on this company. From reading reviews on Consumer Affairs/BBB and other outlets shows this is their culture. Several customers have complained about him however his behavior still seems to be tolerated. This entire claim process physically and emotionally drains one's energy where you just are FORCED to walk away and accept it as a loss. as many others have.

I must say the level of disrespect would be considered racist but it seems like other background of people have gone through the same or not. After providing MONTHS of documentation yet the stalling tactics continue until you have nothing else to provide then they close/deny claim due to not cooperating? After a while one can tell this company's poor consumer reviews on all outlets speaks volumes that any needing coverage to STAY FAR AWAY FROM.

Original review: April 24, 2021

During the years 2018-2020 this company asked me to supply roof repair receipts as a condition of renewal. This year I was told my home is rated as being in Public Protection Class 9 Area. They dropped me and suggested I seek out a California Fair Plan. They are affiliated with Allstate whom I have done business with since the early 1990s. I have never had any insurance claims. I was just dropped like a hot potato. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I filed a claim for Soledad fire. I had ash all over my house. They denied my claim. This company is horrible. Don't get them. Pick another company. Clark self Clark claim that my house didnt meet the requirements for them to pay to clean my house and I didn't have enough ash. CSC lies for them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Here's the thing - insurance companies rarely get good reviews because if you are having to use your insurance, it inevitably means something bad has happened. When bad things happen, people are not inclined to write positive reviews - they just want whatever it is fixed so they can go back to their lives. Both my home and my small personal watercraft are insured by PSIC and I have had nothing but a positive experience working with this company. I can tell all of their customer service representatives have been trained properly and they always answer with a smile (trust me, you can tell when someone answers with a smile). They continue to self-evaluate and improve based on feedback and I love their openness and honesty in becoming the best company they can. Highly recommend!

Original review: May 2, 2020

Do not use this company. I had my roof completely replaced, new ductwork, etc, in 2013. I have submitted, and submitted, and submitted (!) the required documentation. Nevertheless, they continue to list it as installed in 1940 and charging me for coverage of a roof over 10 years old. I have just sent one last complaint. If this doesn't fix it I will go through the hassle of getting a new company, pay for the required appraisal, (insurance companies really have us at their mercy!)--and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Before you consider this company DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!! I’ve never had a problem regarding my home. Out of the blue I received a letter stating I’m being dropped because I have cords of wood in my almost .25 acre property. It can get down to 19 degrees here!!! I’m not in a flood or fire danger area. This business is insane. They’re actually doing me a favor because I had it in mind to cancel them anyways. By the way PS my wood I burn in my fireplace is not junk or debris, how you stay in business is beyond me??

Pacific Specialty Insurance Company Information