Pacific Specialty Insurance

Pacific Specialty Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

Pacific Specialty offers homeowners insurance and a variety of other coverages. It provides multipolicy discounts (including savings for bundling with auto coverage from any insurer) and flexible payment plans. The company doesn’t let you purchase insurance online, but you can work with a local agent to find out if it suits your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Pacific Specialty covers a range of home types, including mobile and rental homes. It also has extended replacement cost coverage for rebuilding. You can’t buy its plans online, but specialists can customize a policy to suit you.

PROS

• Bundle auto policy from any carrier
  • Extended replacement cost coverage
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Multipolicy discounts

CONS

• Claims service not available online
  • Agents not available in all areas
  • Can’t buy coverage online

Top Pacific Specialty Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Specialty Insurance Company?

I have had several positive experiences with Pacific Specialty Insurance… When the hail storm hit, the claim was paid. It was as simple as that. I have several neighbors who were not happy with their insurance companies, and they had the "name brands" with all the TV commercials.

Both my home and my boat are insured with Pacific Specialty and the process to get insured was painless and pleasant. Their customer service is excellent… I really appreciate that they are a big company with a small company feel and will continue to use them…

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is Pacific Specialty home insurance?

Pacific Specialty is an insurer that provides property coverage for a variety of homeowners and home types, including:

• Traditional homeowners insurance: In the event of a total loss, Pacific Specialty’s homeowners insurance offers extended replacement cost coverage above the dwelling limit to make sure you have enough to rebuild. The policy also pays for living expenses while your home is being repaired.
  • Renters insurance: Like its home insurance, Pacific Specialty’s renters insurance offers replacement cost coverage, as well as liability protection.
  • Condos/townhomes insurance: Pacific Specialty offers identity theft protection through its condo and townhouse policies.
  • Mobile homes insurance: Pacific Specialty’s mobile home coverage is designed for single- and double-wide homes, with primary, rental or seasonal occupancy and added coverage for golf carts. Seniors are eligible for mobile home policy discounts.

Pacific Specialty also provides liability, powersports and watercraft insurance, as well as earthquake insurance up to $2.5 million, which you can purchase as an addition to home insurance or as a standalone policy. Earthquake coverage includes up to $100,000 for loss of use and enhanced coverage options for pools and valuables.

How does Pacific Specialty home insurance work?

Because the company specializes in home insurance, Pacific Specialty lets you bundle your home coverage with any other carrier’s auto policy. You can customize your policy to fit your needs, with an add-on liability coverage option for extra property protection (up to $2 million).

To insure a home with Pacific Specialty, you’ll need to take inventory of your belongings. In the event of a claim, you will need to provide the following information:

• Original purchase price
  • Original purchase date
  • Receipts or supporting documents
  • Personal photographs
  • Warranty cards
  • Service receipts
  • Credit card statements
  • Canceled checks
  • Any other supporting evidence of ownership

Pacific Specialty typically resolves claims within 40 days.

Pacific Specialty home insurance quotes and costs

Pacific Specialty’s home insurance prices aren’t available online, but you can contact its customer service to get a quote. Factors that influence property insurance premiums include:

• Age of dwelling
  • Roof age and type
  • Home construction type

Pacific Specialty’s deductible options range from $500 to $5,000. The company offers flexible payment plans, and you can save money by bundling policies. The company will work with your bank if you prefer to pay from an escrow or impound account.

Pacific Specialty home insurance FAQ

Where is Pacific Specialty home insurance available?
Pacific Specialty’s home insurance is available in all 50 states. Search for a local office by ZIP code on the company website.
Where is Pacific Specialty located?
Pacific Specialty is located in Palo Alto, California. Its independent agents have offices in locations throughout the U.S.
Can I file home insurance claims online with Pacific Specialty?
No, Pacific Specialty doesn’t offer home insurance claims service online.
Does Pacific Specialty home insurance cover mold?
Pacific Specialty’s website doesn’t state whether or not its home insurance policies cover mold damage; ask your agent about this coverage option.

Is Pacific Specialty home insurance worth it?

If you need flexible property insurance with options for enhanced liability coverage, Pacific Specialty might be a good fit. Some California customers will appreciate the recent rate reductions in HO3 insurance and its earthquake insurance option. Mobile homeowners will also find a range of suitable coverage. Though you can’t compare quotes or sign up for service online, Pacific Specialty’s local agents work directly with you to find the right coverage.

Pacific Specialty Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Specialty Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I filed a claim for Soledad fire. I had ash all over my house. They denied my claim. This company is horrible. Don't get them. Pick another company. Clark self Clark claim that my house didnt meet the requirements for them to pay to clean my house and I didn't have enough ash. CSC lies for them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Here's the thing - insurance companies rarely get good reviews because if you are having to use your insurance, it inevitably means something bad has happened. When bad things happen, people are not inclined to write positive reviews - they just want whatever it is fixed so they can go back to their lives. Both my home and my small personal watercraft are insured by PSIC and I have had nothing but a positive experience working with this company. I can tell all of their customer service representatives have been trained properly and they always answer with a smile (trust me, you can tell when someone answers with a smile). They continue to self-evaluate and improve based on feedback and I love their openness and honesty in becoming the best company they can. Highly recommend!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Do not use this company. I had my roof completely replaced, new ductwork, etc, in 2013. I have submitted, and submitted, and submitted (!) the required documentation. Nevertheless, they continue to list it as installed in 1940 and charging me for coverage of a roof over 10 years old. I have just sent one last complaint. If this doesn't fix it I will go through the hassle of getting a new company, pay for the required appraisal, (insurance companies really have us at their mercy!)--and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Before you consider this company DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!! I’ve never had a problem regarding my home. Out of the blue I received a letter stating I’m being dropped because I have cords of wood in my almost .25 acre property. It can get down to 19 degrees here!!! I’m not in a flood or fire danger area. This business is insane. They’re actually doing me a favor because I had it in mind to cancel them anyways. By the way PS my wood I burn in my fireplace is not junk or debris, how you stay in business is beyond me??

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Both my home and my boat are insured with Pacific Specialty and the process to get insured was painless and pleasant. Their customer service is excellent and re-upping each year is quick and convenient. I really appreciate that they are a big company with a small company feel and will continue to use them as my insurer since I feel confident with my coverage under their umbrella.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I feel terrible that I did not research about this company before signing up. Actually a insurance agent tricked me into this. These guys are all fake. Don’t even accept your claim. They are horrible, poor customer service. My request to everyone YOU ARE NOT INSURED WITH THEM!! They just take your premium and hope you never have to claim. If anyone willing to go legally against this company and their scam please let me know.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

ZERO STARS! On 5/26/19 I cancelled via fax, per instructions from Pacific Speciality, both my homeowners and earthquake policies, and asked for a refund from that date since both policies are paid through 1/9/2020. I have DOCUMENTED proof that PS received the fax cancellation at their end, in the section of the fax where it says "OK" and confirms they received it. On 7/30/19 I spoke to a rep in customer service who said they never received it and asked me to email it to them, which I did on 7/30/19. He said it would take 8-10 days to refund. I have since called multiple times to CS to confirm they received that email, as he suggested I do, only to get the robo message that they are experiencing difficulties and that I should visit their website.

I just sent them an email with original documentation attached advising them that I would be filing a formal complaint against them with the insurance commissioner within 72 hours if I did not have a response from them. If this is what PS is like in getting a refund, imagine the nightmare of actually filing a claim with them.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Our experience is below. We are seeking legal representation and invite anyone else who would like to join us to email me at **. We have been treated as horribly as you can possibly imagine by this company, PSIC. They used a substandard test to tell us our home was safe to live in after the Woolsley fire. We have 4 children, 2 of which are under 5 years old. Not only did all four of my children get sick, but I became extremely ill and asthmatic for the first time in my life. I am now under the care of a pulmonologist and have been told I will be sick again if I go back into my home environment.

PSIC refused to pay for a second opinion test but told us they would consider paying us back and using the findings if the findings were different than theirs. Not only did we order an extremely thorough and extensive test but we furnished them with an equally thorough and extensive report which stated our house should not be lived in and needed to be cleaned. We also had an insulation company and ducting company examine the attic and home - they told us the same thing.

After many unanswered calls and emails to PSIC (this is their norm), we were told that they would be sticking to their original findings and would not clean our house nor would they pay for the test. At that point, we were living in a hotel. They mentioned many times during our stay that they may not pay the bill and made us wait for weeks to get paid back. At this point, we still have weeks upon weeks at the hotel outstanding that we have not been reimbursed for as well as loss of use back in January before we checked into the hotel that hasn't even been acknowledged. Our emails questioning them go unanswered.

The fire burned all over our neighborhood, including on our street and the homes/yards above us on our street, behind us and in front of us. All of our neighbors have already completed full remediations - we are the only home fighting to get our house cleaned. In addition, the embers burned holes in our roof. The rains that came after the fire, poured into our home and damaged dry wall in three rooms. We had a roofer out immediately to examine the roof. He found burn areas and wrote up the recommendation and estimate for a new roof. PSIC finally had a roofer exam the roof two months later - they would only use that roofer for obvious reasons (much like the hygenist) to get them the report to say what they wanted two months later after an exceptionally rainy season. They refused to cover the roof loss and made us open a second claim.

Our home was built in the early 70s and PSIC knew the drywall contained asbestos. The damaged drywall was removed and our walls were left open that entire time (2 months) while they waited on their roofer. Asbestos was left exposed and possibly disturbed for those 2 months in different areas of our home. PSIC refuses to test to see if our home is safe from the asbestos. They are now kicking us out of our hotel without any cleaning to our home, any repairs to our roof and potential asbestos fibers free in our home.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I filed a claim with Pacific Specialty two days away from being three months. My adjuster Crystal ** NEVER answers her phone nor does she call back. We had water damage in our carport due to heavy winds and rain... Received my new policy stating that they were going to cancel it because of our carport that has not yet been fixed. To begin with, there's an open claim for the carport and now it's our fault that they have not yet resolved this issue? In all honesty, I feel like the adjuster and the representative just want us to either forget we have an open claim or perhaps they're just waiting so they can get their share... It is extremely upsetting! Every time that I've asked to get a manager's or supervisor's phone number or email they beat around the bush! Never providing me with one! How can I file a complaint?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Dont buy their home Insurance. They made it very difficult to cancel. I have to call their customer service. Call my Allstate agent twice. Write 2 emails to Pacific Specialty and 2 emails to my Allstate insurance agent to cancel. They never reply back whether my Insurance policy is cancel or not. I feel very frustrated.

Pacific Specialty Insurance Company Information