State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

4.0/5 (457 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

Pros

• Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available

Cons

• Fairly high rates

Bottom Line

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

State Farm is a very good home insurance. Rental home insurance too. They are very into making sure that you are well taken care of as far as coverage on any situation and they are there any hours of the day and night.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

If I was able to rate State Farm lower than 1, I would. We had both a Homeowner's policy and a Landlord's policy with State Farm for more than 25 years with no claims. Then in February 2018, our pipes froze and burst in our home and for the first time we had to file a claim. We needed to get the damage repaired before we could continue to reside in our home because of the severity and number of breaks. So after notifying the State Farm Claims Department of our loss, we let them know that we needed to utilize the Additional Living Expenses (ALE) part of our policy so we could get temporary lodging. We were told that they would get back to us. And for every day for over a month, we were jerked around about getting money to get temporary housing.

We could not stay in our home and they didn't care. They played games about providing us the benefits of the policy we had paid premiums on faithfully, every month, for over 25 years. Finally, State Farm subcontracted with a hotel for us to stay in. It was very insulting because we were not given any other options. We were treated like irresponsible, untrustworthy, greedy people. Furthermore, we could not get State Farm to send an adjustor to our home to assess the damage; something that had to happen before any repairs could be made. To this day, STATE FARM HAS FAILED TO EVER EVEN ATTEMPT TO INSPECT THE DAMAGE. Nor have they paid anything to us to get the damage fixed. We got an attorney and filed suit against Stare Farm for Breach of Contract, Fraud, and Bad Faith Claims Handling Practices.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

A pack of crooks. I told them exactly what I have here, a small farm, and the agent sold me insurance including a separate liability policy for an extra $100 a year. The agent even inspected the premises in person. I learned 3 years later that State Farm does not insure farms of any type or size and the insurance that I paid 3 years of premiums on was never valid. The agent knew this very well, but in that 3 years he constantly talked me into increasing the insurance. If I had ever had a claim the company would have refused to cover it and I would have had to get a lawyer to sue them. This is insurance fraud and both the company and the agent profited from it and did not give me any refund when I found out about it and complained. Oh no -- they just immediately sent me a letter cancelling the policy without doing the slightest to help me transfer to a company that COULD insure farms. I would never trust State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

We had extreme water damage to our driveway and some home damage from the same storm system which produces the Tennessee tornados in April of 2000. We were quickly informed that none of our driveway would be covered. We are 38 year policy holders with this company. We have never been late on a payment and we were treated as if we were wasting their time. With roof and fence damage, we received about $1400.00 even though we actually have a lot of extra coverage.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Been a customer of State Farm for over 20 years with Home & Auto. 1st you get multiple discounts the more items you insure with them, 2nd I have always been treated well especially during the stressful time of filing a claim for accidents or home incidents. State Farm is a good company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We've had our homeowners insurance with State Farm for almost 40 years, three agents, and two different houses. We've had serious (over $30,000) claims with both houses. All claims were handled fairly and expeditiously. Our rates were never raised as result.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

At 4:30ish on 11/14/2020 I called State Farm to discuss my policy and I was transferred to talk to guy who presented himself as James. He wouldn't stop interrupting me and was raising his voice at me. His exact words were "..listen..listen..LISTEN, IF YOU JUST LISTEN TO ME I can explain you..." Really? That is customer service???? I am a business owner, and I have never treated any of my clients with such disrespect. I stopped him and asked, still very calm, to transfer me to a supervisor and he refused, I asked him a second time and he refused again but said he will transfer me to another CS rep.

I asked for his name and first he refused to give it. I asked him again and he said - James. He refused to give last name or an ID number and told there is no need he would provide me with that information! REALLY?! This is what you call Customer Service REPRESENTATIVE for State Farm???? Oh wow... This was absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! The attitude of that man was outrageous! BTW, I have the conversation recorded, so if his superiors care to hear it, I can provide it!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

My insurance agent with State Farm was Trever **. He multiple times mixed up my personal data with other customers. When I requested some info, he sent me personal data of other clients. When my insurance was cancelled, he continued to charge me. For now, he denies to respond to my emails. I can't understand the reason for such reckless and disrespect. How can they do business in this way.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Our HOA is insured policy **, State Farm agent is Mike Konjoyan of Los Osos, CA. He has failed to provide the policy and its coverages for our HOA as a owner and member. I find his deceitfulness to be outrageous and criminal. I suspect he is padding his pockets and committing fraud, and stealing funds from, failing to service the people and lying about it as well, I have now no doubt he is a liar and thief. State Farm has said for days they will look into it? Yet still nothing and no policy.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I have been a State Farm customer for over 20 years & have always been proud to share that with people. The girls in my local office are friendly, knowledgeable, & helpful. I’d hear people complain about their insurance company high premiums, the lack of support, the denial of claims, & think how blessed I was to be a State Farm customer. I had always had good experiences with State Farm & felt I could depend on the services I purchased, that is until the last four years. In 2015 I had my roof redone. Not due to any damage, but because it was that time. My home was built in 1987 & needed an upgrade. The contractor was great. They were reasonably priced of all the quotes I had gotten, efficient, & thorough.

In October 2016 Hurricane Matthew came through the Charleston area. It brought substantial high winds, heavy rain, broke trees, uprooted trees, & flooded in some areas. After the storm passed, we found several large limbs on our roof. We carefully removed them but did not see any visible damage. Several months later we discovered that rain had been dripping into our back wall & seeping under our floor. The area was at the back of the house is where the chimney is enclosed. I contacted State Farm & filed a claim.

The adjuster came out & said one of the limbs from the storm had put a hole in our chimney. It was weird to me at the time that the claim was paid to replace the flooring that was damaged, but not the necessary roof repairs. I did question this, & even pointed out that the winds from Hurricane Matthew had shook my house so hard that a crack had developed in the concrete of my patio floor which is raised off the ground. I was told that this is the way they (State Farm) write claims & I could use the money for whatever I chose. I chose to have the chimney repaired of course. They were saying the storm caused a hole which was where the rain was getting into the wall, so if I did not repair it, I would continue to have water damage. The chimney repair was the only logical option, so I had it completely rebuilt from the roof up.

A few months later when consulting someone to complete the floor repairs we discovered the leak issue on the back wall had not been resolved & rainwater had continued to drip in the wall & seep under the flooring. I contacted State Farm to make them aware what they stated was the issue had obviously not been correct, that the problem continued, & damage from the storm had been overlooked. I was given a lot of run around & talked in circles with insurance terms which was very frustrating. I was made to feel like I did not know what I was talking about & felt defeated. After several more bouts with rain I contacted State Farm again to discuss the unresolved matter only to be left feeling the same, defeated. My roof was brand new & the only occurrence that could have caused the damage was Hurricane Matthew.

From that point, the rainwater leak continued & signs of additional rain run off began to appear in other locations of my interior walls & ceiling. In September 2019 we had another hurricane make landfall. Rainfall from Hurricane Dorian of course dripped into the exterior wall & seeped under my flooring in the exact spots from the 2016 storm claim, but it also knocked over part of my fence, & tore some siding off my house. I was very upset to have to continue dealing with the original issue but now have new issues. Previous experience told me State Farm would not be easy to deal with, so I dreaded having to contact them. I did finally contact them & they filed an additional claim. In December 2019 the adjuster came out & prepared the attached.

I expressed all my frustrations over the initial claim. I was vocal on feeling no one was adequately diagnosing the damage from the 2016 storm & that the work I was advised to have done had not resolved the issue. The adjuster told me that he had worked with Big Bear Roofing on several jobs & recommended them. He even called them speaking with his contact as he walked my roof. His contact told him he would have the rep who happened to live across the street from me contact me. I was then contacted by Big Bear Roofing & scheduled a meeting to evaluate the work needed. I received the attached proposal, paid Big Bear Roofing in full, & had the work done.

I was hopeful afterwards but unfortunately the work the adjustor & Big Bear Roofing advised would be needed to resolve my issue did not resolve the problem. I had to call Big Bear Roofing back out to show them gaps between the boards installed on my patio & where they had cut trim off my chimney that was not put back flush but completely unaligned & caked with caulk to fill in where they had not properly aligned it. I was told that the board gaps on the patio would not cause any issues, but the gaps are obvious so I’m positive rain will eventually be seeping through. As for the damage they caused to my chimney trim, I was told that they would fix it. That has never happened.

A few months went by & with each rainfall my original issue from the 2016 Hurricane damage along with newer issues continued. I reached out to Big Bear Roofing making them aware the work they had done still had not resolved the interior leak issues. Rain can be heard dripping in the wall, the flooring continues to get wet from underneath, & new water damage continues to appear on my ceiling & wall. I also contacted State Farm to make them aware the original issue was still not resolved & the work the adjustor & Big Bear Roofing had stated were required had not resolved the issues. I received the same reception from them as I had in the past, not their problem anymore.

With Big Bear Roofing it took numerous attempts, before they finally came back out to reevaluate my issues. This time Big Bear Roofing recommended different work be done & said I would not be charged given what I had already paid for that did not resolve the issues. It again took multiple attempts, but they did finally schedule this additional work, however what they did this time still did not resolve the water leaks & the work they did to the the back portion of my roof is now mismatched from the rest of the roof. In 2015 I had my roof redone with brown architectural shingles. What Big Bear Roofing put on was back flat tar looking paper. My roof is now two colors with two different styles.

This additional work by Big Bear Roofing still did not resolve the rainwater leaks. I again made State Farm aware & began contacting Big Bear Roofing again as well. In my contacts to Big Bear Roofing I made them aware the issues were still not resolved that I was upset over their work causing my roof to be mismatched, about the chop job done to my chimney. It again it took numerous attempts to get them back out, but when they came back this time, they recommended running a water test on the back of my roof where the water is getting into the wall.

This test did not yield any resolution of where the water was entering my home. Big Bear Roofing said maybe it was the chimney cap because a corner of it shows signs of rust. Interesting being that cap has been on there the whole 16 years I’ve owned this home & there have been no water issues until after Hurricane Mathew in 2016. And, one would think that if the cap was the issue then professionals like Big Bear Roofing & educated State Farm adjustors would have known that instead of recommending thousands for unnecessary work, right? None of this surprised to me.

I’ve been telling State Farm for three years that the assessment of damage to my home was not coming from the chimney as they had claimed. Of course, Big Bear Roofing recommended replacing the chimney cap & said they would only charge me the cost of the item. I spoke with them just before the July 4th holiday. I was told they would get the cap info, call me with cost, & schedule to put it on. I have never heard back from them.

On August 24th I spoke with State Farm again about my claim & the unresolved issues since 2016. When I pointed out to the State Farm claims representative that I had the roof redone in 2015 & had no issues until after the 2016 storm he began to place blame on the work done by the contractor. He said this is now their stand on this matter & stated they will do nothing further. I hung up on him.

I may not be a claims representative, an adjustor, or a roof contractor but I am far from ignorant. Waters runs & being I’ve had the work recommended by all these professional, knowledgeable people done yet the original issues still exist & new damages are occurring give complete merit that obviously damaged to the roof from the 2016 storm was not found & the water is running from other than where the focus has been.

I have now been living several years with this original issue not being resolved & additional damages occurring. I now have dark shadowing on my walls, so I’m concerned with mold in my attic, & water marks on walls & numerous places in my ceilings. I can’t replace my flooring, can’t paint my walls, can’t repair my ceiling, & may be living with toxic growth because rain is still going to come & continue damaging these areas.

It’s a very hard pill to swallow knowing I’ve done business all these years with State Farm & trusted them to have my back on my biggest asset just to be dismissed & treated as though I’m just an unknowledgeable woman trying to “get over” on them. In my mind it shows the true character of this business. I am nothing more than a contributor to their million-dollar salaries & million-dollar incentive bonuses.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information