State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5
Based on 1,673 ratings

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My 6800 sq. ft home experienced severe electrical damage by apparent surge or lightning. I filed on November 18th and over 3 weeks went by before a returned call (after chasing them) and then a nightmare ever since. My son and I are left without any heat meanwhile and hot water no hot water in the kitchen or my son's room and guest rooms. The electrician I hired referred from my SF agent says the home is dangerous and we should not be here. The home to repair will cost in the six figures most likely and I've been told that this is why it prolongs approval. It's a shame to be treated so by this company when I have never once had an homeowner claim and when you need them they do not respond for weeks and then torture their customers over a claim. I am so upset and sorry I trusted them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had a house fire 6/22/19, my family and I have been displaced and I have had to make several calls for the resolution to my claim. I have escalated from my claims rep Karen to her manager Cindy **, to her manager Adrian ** & Jeff ** and no one has returned my calls, Karen has advised this has never taken as long. Prior to November I was advised everyone was on vacation and now in December I was advised it's been approved. It's waiting for payment. That has been over 3 weeks. I have been a file on someone's desk for the last 6 going on 7 months, this is how State Farm treat their people that has never submitted a claim.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Been with State Farm for years and never submitted a homeowners claim. Just had a pipe back up and leak a week before Thanksgiving. Didn't know we had a problem until we had a problem. Water came up through our kitchen floor. Got a plumber out who identified and fixed the issue. Got a restoration company out to dry out the floor that they had to tear out. They also had to remove half the ceiling in the bathroom below to dry out from below. State Farm denied our claim within hours of sending their evil soulless monster of an adjuster out. Basically it's our fault because it was probably leaking for a while. The adjuster wasn't even the least bit apologetic when telling us we were denied and we're completely responsible for this 3 weeks before Christmas. Nice to know State Farm cares about its customers. I guess my kids don't deserve to live in a house with intact ceilings. We are looking for a new insurance company now. Merry Christmas to us.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

AGE AND DETERIORATION clause let State Farm get out of any and all claims on my house for hail and wind damage from June 2019. This is a total joke as 99% of all neighbors without State Farm were approved. Move on from State Farm Insurance as fast as you can. Consumer reports rates insurance companies and State Farm has fallen way down the list. It should be a wake up call to all State Farm policy holders.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My wife signed on for HSB Hartford steam boiler home system protection through our State farm agent. Central ac/heat died after 12 yrs. Company that replaced it stated on their (HSB) claim it stopped working because fan and unit was not repairable due to age. Had to be replaced. At first HSB said minus your deductible your covered. Then about two weeks later we are told not covered, they do not cover failure due to deterioration and rust.

This company states coverage of water heaters/pumps and ac/heating. If you look at the definition of the failure of these items it is due to deterioration and rust? I guess that my car insurance does not cover being hit by other cars or moving objects? looked up reviews on HSB all very negative. I feel like a big sucker for trusting my State farm agent, But they never gave me a reason to not trust them for all these years. If you are listening State farm... PLEASE STOP selling this HSB to your faithful customers. I am thinking of giving my business to someone else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Purchased Old home, had inspections to assess needed repairs. Before moving in the first loss occurred from burst pipe. Flooding on 2 floors, SF response was less than actual value of loss. This first claim was not challenged and accepted the appraiser's estimates, which as it turn out were far below market costs to repair. Records of claim followed to the next claim 3 years later from a different pipe that burst causing basement flooding. The next appraiser was very inexperienced, I needed to educate him on his own policy sections. SF waited almost a full year before denying the claim 363 days after the 2nd claim. I now join the many that need to sue SF to validate poor service and display bad faith interactions.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

We had a tree smash our garage to the ground. In short local contractors quoted 48,000 to replace it and we may get 10,000 from State Farm! Read your 'coverage' very carefully. These people are sharks. So far we are finding out that it is not really insurance for anything close to the value of the structures you actually own. We have only owned the house a year and we had provided current information - based on the cost of the house - but they come back claiming everything is old and depreciated etc.. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and in their case - that is not much. They should spend less on 'feel good' ads and more on coverage. I hope this helps somebody.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We have had State Farm for over 25 years even before my hubby and I were married. We were in the middle of building our home, items were stolen, we called to enquire the deductible only not to file a claim. That was a hit. 0 pay. It went against the builder as he didn't secure home. Then prior to putting in our driveway, the builders informed us to bring all appliances in, and lighting and fixtures. As soon as driveway was done, most of the appliances were stolen. State farm only gave us $15k out of $60k because if you put house upside down, these appliances would not fall. These appliances were not installed yet. We had pics from a few days before in boxes. So we filed as per our attorneys with state of MO, and they dropped us.

My daughter is a 4.0 gpa. A deer jumped on her car with $9000 of damage. Previously, she was at a stop sign a year before and sun shinning in her eyes, and she inched into the road to check and car came in front of her with minor damage. They are dropping her. 2 years ago, my oldest daughter was in a car accident. Now accident free. 1 year ago, she had a ticket. Yesterday, we received a letter stating they are dropping both girls. She just bought a Tesla. I would never ever recommend this company to anyone ever. They call you constantly stating they can save you $ but they do not know how to research the account prior to calling. They are all about sales and not caring. Their bottom line.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I have several cars and 2 homes insured through State Farm. Currently have a motorhome that suffered damage from tree branch falling after severe hail storm in Michigan. Took State Farm over two weeks and another call from my agent before Jen called me and stated my claim would be denied due to the fact that water had gotten into roof. I explained the only water damage was around the broken skylight and would need roof repair. Needless to say Jen was rude and again today denied my claim offering to pay for the skylight only, not the damage surrounding it caused by the branch.

I agree with others here and facebook. State Farm Claims only cares about saving the payout $ to pad the managers' bonus. No concern for the loyal customer or the hardship placed for us. No empathy only accusations. I will take my $445 monthly insurances to another establishment once I have received proper compensation for my time and stress. Currently looking for an attorney to handle my case going forward as this has caused me serious harm and distress. Claim # **.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I have been a State Farm customer since 1986 insuring five properties and dozens of autos over the years with few claims. After being robbed in NY, I filed a claim for stolen jewelry. They used this as an excuse to increase my homeowner's rates by close to 73%. They did this in the form of a letter without any call or explanation from anyone. When I called my agent, their admin acted like I did something wrong to make this happen. Despite calling and emailing, I still have not hear from my agent Jeff ** despite doing business with him for over 30 years.

So, after giving them a reasonable amount of time to address my concerns without any contact, I started getting quotes from others. Imagine my shock to find out that I have been charge more than double the rates the others are offering for the same coverage limits. Shame on you State Farm for taking advantage of my loyalty. And shame on you Jeff ** for failing to contact me in any way to discuss this. You benefited from my premiums for over 30 years. The least you can do is reach out to explain yourself. Bottom line, don’t trust that you have the right insurance at the right premiums. Shop for the right policies for you. And stay away from State Farm. They don’t have your best interests at heart.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information