Protect what matters most

Protect my home
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
3.93/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

980 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Supposedly State Farm is reputable. I like that I have a local agent and I like the agents I deal with. But I wish they improve their price because I don't know for sure if they're going to actually pay out if they're needed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

State Farm is cheaper, closer to home and they give good rates in both home and car insurance. I was given advice to go to this company because they have great rates and great agents. They are there all the time if I need help. Also they have great customer service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

8 years ago we had hail damage on roof, claim denied... Adjuster said the 5 year old shingles were faulty. We investigated should nuke issues and CertainTeed confirmed that the adjuster was wrong. Adjuster came out again approved the repairs but a second claim was opened. We complained and got nowhere (agent said not to worry). Well since then we had roof issues and new agent said file a claim, thank goodness I spoke to claims first because they said that they would have denied claim (poor workmanship] and would harp even still counted one more claim against us. This year I had a flood...called agent office and was connected to claims. Claims said it would take a while for the adjuster so I should ask the agent what I might do to minimize further damage.

I called and spoke to my Agent and he, who refuses to come out to our home 5 minutes away from his office, told us that State Farm would probably cancel our insurance on this claim but he wasn’t sure and would not know until renewal time. He didn’t know the underwriter rules. Needless to say I revoked the claim and issued a formal complaint with Ohio Dept of insurance. Too bad I didn’t know about ODI when State Farm opened two claims for the same roof damage. Also my agent at the time did not tell me the ramifications. My grandparent, parents and my family for 40 years had State Farm and it used to be such a good insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I first started using State Farm when I bought my first home on the recommendation of my Real Estate agent in 1982. I have never had an issue with them so have seen no need to change. I get quick response and service from my agent when needed. I have not filed a claim but have had coverage changes over the years that are quickly taken care of. This is for State Farm. However, I feel I pay too much for State Farm, but all are about the same. I don't see that any other company can provide better value. They all offer largely the same coverage. Despite all of the "you can save" ads, there is not a lot of aggressive competition.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Great experience all-in-all. I do need homeowners insurance and Bank says I have to have homeowners insurance policy. I really like everything about the policy I have with State Farm. All the features are nice to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We were able to get the best price with State Farm as well as having an agent we liked. We have had it for years, and when we allow another agent we know try and get us a better price, he or she can not. I also have State Farm for flood insurance. I like using State Farm as I can use them for my vehicles as well. We also like interaction with insurance agent. I hope our new agent stays in touch and keeps us informed as well as our former agent had as he retired.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have an agent local and they take an interest in you to make sure we have enough coverage for us so if there is ever any issues we will be covered. They also offer higher coverage for jewelry, art or other different things. However, it gets very overwhelming when they talk about the down & dirty things that the insurance can or cannot cover especially when it comes to disaster coverage and then why the rates jump when we haven't had a claim. They should make things less complicated when trying to understand everything on a policy. Nevertheless, I have been with State Farm for over 40 years and don't like to change companies and don't feel others would do as great of a job as State Farm does.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

State Farm allows me to bundle my services all in one place allowing for one bill. I have my car insurance through State Farm so I chose them for my homeowners insurance as well. I have great coverage and my policy is a decent price. They have great customer service and I like being able to talk to my local agent. They know my whole story and know me as a person. But I would make a policy that allows for better incentives for people who have shown loyalty to the company. Perhaps offer special gifts, deals, etc. or offer discounts for people who take classes on home ownership like they do for people who take safe driver courses.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

State Farm is a well known company with decent pricing. We have a friend who is an agent and was able to get us better pricing through State Farm than what we were paying previously, so we switched. They also have several agents in my area and have a good reputation. But I feel like the deductible is high. For someone who very rarely uses their car insurance, I feel as though I should be rewarded for this by either lowering my deductible or giving me some sort of cash back incentive. Other than that, they are quick to respond when a claim is made. I was also rear ended by an uninsured driver recently and my deductible was waived because he was uninsured. I was very happy about this.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Water came in onto my wood floors from heavy rain. I had just installed new flooring less than year ago. Adjustor came out and said that if the matching floor could not be found that they would have to replace entire floor. They sent a sample to ITEL and they return a report listing floors in the same color family, but they were all much darker in color. Plus it was click and lock and the different manufacturers flooring does not work with my floor. I contacted the State Farm rep. and he sent email saying, "Case closed. Replacement floor located." They never responded to my other emails or calls saying the floor does not match. Unfortunately the damage floor is in front as you walk in.

Had State Farm for over 40 years and never filed a claim on any home. I was shocked that this is how they treat people. Am definitely switching to new company and making everyone I know aware of the way State Farm treats you if a claim is filed. From the first day I had contact with the adjustor he spoke to me very rude. I explained we were unhappy and he said, "Go find another insurance company if you are unhappy." All these years of paying premiums and this was how they treat customers, so to be former customers.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I'm happy with my choice of insurance with State Farm. I like the comfort of having homeowners in case something were to happen. I like the fact that a location is near my home, it's easy to contact someone if needed at any time, and the price of my policy is pretty decent. I like the price I pay and having security. I prefer to have homeowners along with car insurance to get a reduction. I would love to have insurance on my furnace, air conditioning and serious equipment like that. Not as far as appliances used in the home but I'd like the comfort of covering those needed items. That would be great!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I love State Farm insurance. I have never had another insurance company since I've needed insurance and State Farm hasn't given me a reason to want to change companies. I would love to get insurance for a lower price at the same amount of insurance. But other than that, I like that I have auto and home insurance at the same company. I also get discount for bundling.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have been with State Farm for 53 years. Paid over $130,000, (5 bills a month to State Farm), 2 homes and 3 cars, including family members. Put in a claim (would be the 3rd that was denied). Agent not helpful and did not care about us. Send out a claims adjuster when he knew the entire time we were getting dropped, 3rd claim, only paid out 1! 2019, new slate with no claims on the record. Claims adjuster sent out did not even want to go on the roof to look at the chimney problem, was going to write a claim based on previous bogus claim... agent basically called us a liar.

Never late on payments in over 25 years with this agent. Then we get a letter that the insurance dropped us! Agent did not have the decency to tell us, but allowed the pending claim to go on with sending adjuster out to the house!! How can State Farm think it is ok to treat a long time customer like this, they paid out less than 10% of what we paid to them in 53 years!! DO NOT RECOMMEND STATE FARM! CUSTOMER SERVICE NEVER CALLED US BACK, NO ANSWER AS TO WHY THEY DROPPED US. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HOW SF TREATED US!! NO LOYALTY!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My aunt works for State Farm I chose this policy. Otherwise, I would probably gone in a different direction because the reviews for State Farm are not that good. I like the price of my current homeowners policy though. It is comparable to the other rates that I searched for. But I dislike the representative that I have with my current policy. I also don't like that if I file a claim, I have to pay for the work to be done and then submit the claim to be paid. I should not have to finance the repair if I pay my premium.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

State Farm would cover everything that we own and would help us rent a place if need be. Other insurance companies won't help you that way at all. The policy is highly affordable and doesn't include anything we don't need. Also, the people are wonderful. They are our friends and like family to us. I like the way they are there for you, help their customers and the look of the place.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I would re-evaluate the payout policy for claims. Overall this company was good until there was a major claim. They are helpful and cover minor theft and general maintenance issues but when it comes to significant structural issues they choose to not pay out, instead they will take you to court. They do not want to help when there is a large problem even though you pay your bills on time. State Farm is too large a company for someone to sue and they know it so they will drag their feet in claims.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We also have our car insurance through State Farm Insurance Company, so we get a discount for having our homeowners insurance through State Farm Insurance Company. However, I wish that State Farm Insurance Company would lower our premiums. They are expensive and they only get more and expensive as time goes by. Where does it end? Other than that, they have an office in the town where we live, so we have a local agent, which is a good thing.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Three years ago we lost our home to fire, since that time the fire took our belongings and our home, State Farm has taken our health, our financial stability, lost us our second home and now is responsible for the loss of our third home we built to put a roof over our head. They have brought enough stress that I lost my wife, I myself died of a heart attack and brought back by medical services. They have destroyed our security, finance, family and health, taken our trust and ability to function. They have illegally in Canada brought me up in front of commissioner of oath for day of hearing (not legal in Canada). Accused us of fraud and cut off ability to complete claim till it ran out and continually dragged us through mounting lawyer bills, even accusing me of being to blame for closing their Edmonton office due to apparent death threats on employees. This was not backed by authorities and dropped by them when threatened of a slander suit.

We have made deals to take out the fire destroyed home with one employee for agreed price and upon completion brought forward another employee claiming they don't pay that and he is not with firm anymore, something we have found to be not true. They have claimed checks in the hundreds of thousands are in the mail only to turn out to be for 200. They have claimed we could not get paid for house as we did not build on same land, land we lost because of their shortfall on paying, then claims that they would pay for house because of it being in the same area, upon not receiving payment sent a copy of policy saying we did not submit a plan to them before building, so would not be paid. Policy actually says if cost are above your insured amount we would have to submit a plan, we were under. They then put us under investigation for fraud cutting off contact with us till policy expired.

The stress was too much for my wife who battled cancer. I lost my wife due to stress, I have lost the rest of our money to an incompetent lawyer who destroyed any other hope. Three years ago I had a car collection, a successful business, close loving family, beautiful acreage and would holiday two months a year. I as of a week ago have lost my home, my wife, my company, have no money. And because I rescue dogs from around the world, me and my cat and three dogs are homeless, jobless. And due to three heart attacks and a stroke due to stress my health is gone. I have nothing, no dreams and live in as close a place to hell it may as well be, thanks State Farm, you took my faith in mankind. But I am coming for you. You forgot to bury me. I am going to expose you for who you really are and will not quit till I die. I still have my mind, my only weapon, and the only one I need.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had State Farm Insurance for years and years for home and auto - so did my whole family from Grandparents on. My husband and I bought a beautiful vintage (read 100 year old) home. 15 years later we got divorced. We NEVER filed a claim on the home. After the divorce we rented the home to my sister. They had a chimney fire and called State Farm to inquire about filing a claim, but never filed one. Then the upstairs bathroom required replacing because the ancient house had ancient plumbing. We filed a claim and were denied due to ancient house having ancient plumbing that was not up to date - DUH! Then State Farm dropped us. They never ever even paid a claim, or anything at all! We had filed a claim, though, so they dropped us. Shame on State Farm. I have since had Liberty Mutual, who actually not only pays your claims, but makes sure you are well taken care of. And DOESN'T drop you for filing. Steer AWAY from State Farm.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I want to update my complaint of last week. I would definitely not recommend this ins co. They have the most reckless rhetoric. They confuse & refuse. Their main insurance adjuster called us up & asked if we felt they were treating veterans differently than other persons. He started questioning my husband's service record. We heard another excuse for temporary housing reimbursement. We should have rented another place (my husband is sick from breathing toxic molds, furniture contaminated & house under construction). That is when I told him they treat everyone like dirt.

We are 2 disabled seniors who were unfortunate to rent a house from their insured. Their defense attorneys must be hand picked for being spiteful. They know our ex attorney did not give us our complete file & did not answer motions amongst other malpractice. They went into court and did not email us the court decision, instead mailed it to our former address. They have our email & were advised by us to send any & all information to us.

I called defense by accident and gave them our new address. We have been struggling to put our file together to hire another attorney, as we need to recover our retirement account. They are only interested in Their bottom line, It is all about PROFIT and MONEY and that is important. They are underhanded and should be ashamed of themselves for their unethical practices. I have again reported their outrageous acts to the Department of Insurance. They do not like any bad publicity. They want you to think they are your Good Neighbor, but don’t go & borrow a cup of sugar from them. Please find Mr. Rogers. You will be better off.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance good or bad for over 30 years. My current house has been covered since 1997 by them. The only claim made was a grease fire in January of this year which cost around $6,000.00. Consider my surprise when I received a notice now canceling my homeowner's insurance due to that one claim. I may be wrong, but apparently this is not a company that is looking beyond the bottom line. I am not sure what the trigger was for this, since one claim seems a bit of overkill. Maybe due to the fact that I have really had no major claims in all these years, I did not realize how bad of a company State Farm was. So now I research new homeowner's insurance and my auto will move also. It will cost me to move the auto insurance, but peace of mind is more important. Please share my message to hopefully help others.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

After having our homeowner's insurance with State Farm for over 30 years, as well as three cars insured with them, we had a claim for roof damage and siding damage from a hail storm last year totaling approximately $18,000. About 10 years ago, we had a claim for a damaged floor due to a leaking dishwasher for $2,000. We wondered if our rates would go up. They did not... Instead we were informed that due to excessive claims, we would be dropped. We searched and searched and finally found ONE company willing to insure us. Be careful of making claims, even if they are totally legit. At least we got the satisfaction of cancelling all of our auto policies with them. Our agent actually had the nerve to call us asking why we cancelled the auto policies. Hmmm...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had a claim for a roof and other damage to my home from a storm we had in June 2018. The adjuster was very nice and they paid the claim with no problem, however now it is renewal time and I received a letter they are not renewing my policy. These jokers should be in jail.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Called State Farm to put a claim in for my mother whose lights were out for 4 days due to "Hurricane Florence". I was told by the rep that if my mother filed a claim to replace her spoiled items that she could stand a chance of being canceled in the future because she had a claim 2 yrs. ago. My mother is 86 yrs old and have been with State Farm for a eternity and during that time she has only filed 1 claim. Each month State Farm took her money and no one said it would be a negative outcome if she paid on time monthly. I am very disappointed in this company that joyfully take your premium monthly and poorly service you in a time of need.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Our neighbor's home exploded and damaged our home and garage. The contractors that STATE FARM recommended have been horrible to work with. They are unresponsive and lack a sense of urgency in completing the work. When asked STATE FARM to intervene and mediate, still no progress. It has been a full year since the accident and we are still without a garage. We are fast approaching another Illinois winter with no garage.

Our experience with STATE FARM and the contractors they recommended has been horrible; disappointing and infuriating. We just wanted STATE FARM on our side to ensure we are made whole again and it seems like they just make excuses for the contractor. Again, it's been a full year and nothing other than ply board over the damage on the garage has been completed. The entire garage has to come down and I'm not confident it will be complete before winter which means it might take up to 2 years before we see a completed garage. Does that sound right to anyone?!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

On August 6th we noticed multiple spots of water leaks in the kitchen ceiling. I assumed this was from Master Bath as the Master Bath was over Kitchen where the leak appeared. I immediately put in the claim in telling them possibly the leak was from the Master Bath shower. They asked me to pick 1 out of 3 water remediation company and I chose Service Master randomly. State Farm called Service Master and scheduled for them to come in. I settled on 20th August to start work. I even asked State Farm that do I need to wait till the State Farm Adjuster comes in before the work to begun. I was told No.

My assumption was that State Farm and Service Master knows what needs to be done. Immediately, Service Master demolished the Master Bath Shower, flooring, and Cabinet Toe Kick. They started their heat/blower treatment. The State Farm adjuster came on 24th August and started saying this is a long term leak and was berating the Service Master on why they junked what they removed from the Master Bath. She then proceeded to deny the claim saying the water leak was long term leak. Service Master had already disposed off the shower pan and shower walls made of cultured marble. Now, I have no payment to replace the demolition of Master Bath and a denial of claim. I am very unhappy with the way State Farm has handled this claim. Very disappointed customer of State Farm.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased a different homeowners insurance and State Farm has denied to reimburse me stating I didn't notify them, which I did. This happened eight months ago and based on information from my mortgage company I thought they reimbursed them directly. Since I don't see the mortgage company pay them, I wasn't expecting to see the reimbursement. Didn't realize they didn't cancel my policy until I received a renewal notice. I have tried to reconcile this with them to no avail.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

BEWARE neighbors. Anyone affected by the recent storms? State Farm is trying to pay nothing on claims. If anything the absolute bare minimum. I had been a customer for over 37 years. Not 1 claim on my home and when I needed them, nothing. 7 weeks of stress, time, and paying out of my own pocket. They expected me to be without A/C in the midst of 115-121 degrees, no offer for a hotel, NOTHING. I suggest you look into other reputable companies, the cost, and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. My agent is right near Moon Valley and is fully aware of the storm's damage that has taken place in the past 2 months. Their claims adjusters are not there to help you, they are there to let you know you have paid increases because of catastrophes and now that you need help they can't pay out because too many people took advantage over the years. This is not a Rinky Dink company. GO ELSEWHERE, STATE FARM IS TERRIBLE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

State Farm Insurance policy is the worst policy I've ever experienced, their water damage policy is not worth the paper it's written on. I filed a claim for damages and they used the benefit of wording to deny claim based upon leaks for weeks, months, or years. SF failed to pay for the water restoration and for the repairs. I ended up with a $30,000 dollars bill out of pocket cost $7,600 of which was for water restoration. A word to the wise, read SF reviews especially pertaining to water damage.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have had two roofing companies inspect my roof and say that there was significant wind and hail damage. Both took pictures which showed problems State Farm's adjuster has contradicted their findings and said there is no damage. While I realize that roofing companies have an incentive to replace roofs, they do not have an incentive to waste time on good roofs. I have had State Farm homeowners insurance for over 20 years and their auto insurance for 50 years. Several other homes in my area have experienced hail and wind damage and their roofs have been replaced by different insurance companies. While I am not personally a roofing expert, I am concerned that in the pursuit of profits, State Farm is downplaying damage and dodging paying for legitimate claims.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information