2.23/5

State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

929 State Farm Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

Most expensive and least coverage. Do not allow enough to cover repairs. Disorganized at least the Atlanta location. Just terrible. We're going to lose our home possibly due to the issues we've been dealing with.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Pay your insurance, great. File a claim because someone broke into your house... ok. Have State Farm cancel you from no fault of your own and this is when you know you have the wrong insurance company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Rates are very reasonable and service is outstanding. My agent calls me once a year to go over all my State Farm policies to find savings or explain any of the coverages and they don’t try to sell something I don’t need.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I just bought a new home, figured I'd give the competition a chance, State Farm beat the closest competitor by $1,000 a year. Basic walking sense says State Farm gives you the most bang for your buck.

Original review: June 4, 2018

State Farm is too cautious and finds every excuse to raise our rates. Additionally we never make claims on anything and they recently tried to back out on a deal for a new house. I am a long term customer but this has made me start looking again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: June 3, 2018

State Farm may be a little pricier than some other insurance companies. Their customer service is second to none and they seemingly totally understand, the pace of life. Johnny on the spot with their speedy claim work. Have had ZERO issues with them for over 20 years.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Rates go up every year, we have only ever had 1 claim ever in over 20 years and it took them forever to settle it. Never had a claim on car ins either.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've had State Farm Insurance for years now. I stay with them because of the quality customer service. I've considered changing but I don't want to risk being treated like I don't matter.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have been a State Farm for over 40 years. I have auto, homeowners, etc. I have never had a bad experience! Local agent is great, claims process very easy. Prices are very reasonable. I will never switch!

Original review: June 1, 2018

The last 20 yrs my agent has been nothing but wonderful. Your agent is the key. I had a slab leak which is a nightmare, my agent gave me the information I needed to get thru this unexpected situation. My walls needed replacement, kitchen counter and costly rugs in need of repair. I always could count on my agent to get me thru this horrendous task. I have had fender benders and received all the help I need.

Original review: May 31, 2018

They seem to change the 'deductible' at will. We have yet to make a 'claim' but it seem like it covers less and less, with more "restrictions". The only loss covered, it seems, is loss by "accidental" fire; weather caused? No, natural disaster? No, resulting from "terrorist" attack? No, etc.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We were broken into & State Farm was absolutely wonderful, sympathetic and understanding. My agent walked us through the claim process. A storm also came through our town and damaged our roof & State Farm was there (yes, just like the commercial). We have had State Farm for about 27 years, we are very happy with them.

Original review: May 30, 2018

To save money, I have homeowners, flood & earthquake through State Farm. The only time I could have made a claim, my deductible was only $5 less than the damage so I did not make a claim.

Original review: May 29, 2018

State Farm is the only insurance company I know of that covers named storms. When Ike hit, they quickly covered everything. Their response was immediate and comprehensive.

Original review: May 29, 2018

State Farm told me that I was being dropped after 40+ yrs of being insured with them. I was told that if I still wanted to be insured with them that I would have a deductible of 2500 instead of 1000 dollars. I terminated my policy and went with another Big insurance company. I also had my car insured with State Farm and I terminated that policy as well. All those yrs of paying for insurance and because of a claim of 15,000 dollars for storm damage, and I was considered a bad risk.

Original review: May 28, 2018

The premium for the auto and homeowners is very high compared to other companies. State Farm was prompt in paying my auto claim. They refused to pay for a car part because they said it was not a result of the accident. That is totally false. My agent really is not very helpful and is only interested in upselling. I plan to move my coverage to an agent that is not specific to one company.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have a really good agent who went to bat with the company and saved my family from a cancellation several years ago when our house was flooded due to a broken pipe in our previous residence.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have a Renters policy with State Farm. Flooded out of apartment on 12/23/16 hours before Christmas Eve. Tenant upstairs allowed their toilet to run and it destroyed the apartment. State Farm did get us into a hotel that night but it was a nightmare from there on. Their claims database is low-tech and their claims people were clueless. Our agent helped us more than any claims person. Awful experience at the worst time.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have 2 cars insured with State Farm. It was raining heavy. Water got inside one of the car. I don't know how the water got inside, the car wouldn't start, the dashboard lights was going crazy, clock was spinning back and forth, I got the car towed to AAMCO, State Farm adjuster came to look at the car and told the mechanic to fixed everything. After 2 weeks the mechanic gave them the estimated, it was over $3000. He had to do a lot in the car, State Farm don't want to pay for the repair, they only gave me $600.

This is ridiculous, the mechanic won't release the car until he gets paid, I don't have a car to get to work. It's been almost 2 months, the mechanic charged $50 a day for storage, had a rental car. State Farm said I reached my limit to return the car and yet my still in the shop and they won't pay for it. I carpool with people to get to work. State Farm is the worst insurance company. Omg. I'm gonna have to take them to court to make pay for my car. People do not insure with State Farm, car or house.

Original review: May 22, 2018

After 28 years of paying for home insurance I was informed by letter that they would not be renewing my insurance because of 2 claims totalling 5000. The second I had not intended to pursue because I hadn't heard back from them after being told it might not be covered. Then I received a call from someone there that he could take a look and see what he could do for me. Now I'm worried about car insurance. I believe that it was such a small claim of 500. I'm on a limited income now and worry that it will be hard to replace.

Original review: May 11, 2018

After Blair, Nebraska was hit with a once in a hundred years hailstorm Paul Davis Restoration tried to have State Farm pay for the replacement roof. But they would only cover the first 3 feet stating they don't build them like this anymore (able to withstand 4 in hail or greater) paying 1/3 the cost out of a total bill of 33,000. On top of that they raised our rates stating our house was worth more now that we paid out for a new roof.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I've had Homeowners & Rental Dwelling with State Farm Insurance company since 9/18/1995. After 23 YEARS I had the NERVE to file (2) TWO claims for damages. One claim was vandalism, at the suggestion of the State Farm agent, and the Other was roof and wind damage. NOW I'm being cancelled. I've paid my insurance EVERY MONTH and NEVER missed a payment. NOW because I filed (2) TWO claims in 23 years NOW The RISK IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE. My Money was acceptable for 23 YEARS. Just who the HECK do I think I am filing a claim on my Homeowners Insurance JUST BECAUSE I had REPORTABLE Damages???

Original review: April 23, 2018

I had insurance with State Farm for over 35 yrs. I had 2 claims in over 35 both were not a lot of money. But enough that you should file a claim. They took my payment of over 35 years no problem. They made a lot of money off me. Then no warning no letter no nothing I found out thru my mortgage co I had been cancelled. WOW! 2 claims in 35 years 2 different houses. I had my auto thru them also. I went with another co. Seems like they maybe of. Not sure. You only know when you file a claim. Then it is too late!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have never rated or commented on a business before but as consumers if we do not speak up the word will not be heard. My parents have been a State Farm customer for 35 years and in those 35 years only once have they filed a small claim with their homeowner's policy back in the 80's. Due to the wind storms recently they lost their roof on their home, garage and gutters and it was decided by State Farm in writing they indeed needed to be replaced. First, State Farm settlement provided insufficient funds. They advised I submit a estimate from the roofing company with their cost and then a signed estimate with my parents signature which I did.

The claim handler Mr. ** advised me on 3/31/2018 of the new amounts that would be sent via checks to my parents giving me the okay to start the work. The day of delivery to start the roof replacement, Mr. ** advised me there has been a mistake in depreciation and reduced my parents settlement amount by about two thousand and advising the roofing company quote was too high as well which it was not. State Farm corporate advised management would contact us. Mr ** did so and his explanation for not paying the total cost minus the deductible was the upgrade in shingles which is not covered by State Farm. The upgrade was approximately $600.00 according to the contractor in his estimate and not $2000.00.0

My parents who are retired seniors have paid into this policy for 35 years. Had I not intervened State Farm would of tried to take total advantage as their first settlement amount clearly provided insufficient funds but then confirmed with me the adjusted claim amounts, knowing I would start the job and waited until the day of delivery and reduced the claim amount because clearly they never intended to pay the total on the claim since the beginning, not to mention the time back and forth this took me and their excuses. My opinion is take your business elsewhere. After faithfully paying into a homeowners insurance policy, for 35 years. Never utilizing it, until absolutely necessary, and getting ripped off, DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH STATE FARM HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE!

Original review: April 15, 2018

We have had State Farm Homeowners Insurance since 1973 when we purchased our home. For the past year, we have had problems with foundation shifts, bulges, etc. under our A/C Heater. We have had State Farm inspect everything (supposedly) three times. According to them, there is no problem. About a month ago, our foundation split total across house under the wall of two bedroom, causing the foundation to drop 1/2 inch in the Master Bedroom and our middle bedroom. We finally had a private inspection done with the proper equipment and the findings were absolutely astounding! The pipe that takes the condensed water out of the A/C pan had corroded and the water was soaking into the foundation, causing it to bulge up under the A/C. This action has tilted the entire foundation to lift under the A/C and slant the entire foundation on the bedroom side of the house to slant off downward, shifting doorways and walls.

When State Farm sent out the last inspector he was to check for leaks under the A/C, brought no equipment to do so, told us to turn off all of the water in the bathroom, went out, opened the Water Meter and just stood there looking at it. He then came in and told us there were no leaks. He, as usual with State Farm, gave us no copy of his report and left. State Farm is giving us problems with our claim, so I asked for a copy of the report. I received it yesterday and now I know why they never give their customers copies of the reports they end up filing. According to the report, the Inspector used all of the modern equipment that detects leaks in foundation, which he did not. The report he filed is totally bogus! Sam **, our Agent, told us that our policy covered this problem since it was purchased in 1973 when these types of leaks were covered. Now State Farm is saying, no they are not.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My husband and I got State Farm insurance a little over 3 1/2 years ago. About three months into having our insurance a contractor damaged our kitchen floor. Come to find out that the contractor did not have insurance and all of a sudden he closed his business and went bankrupt. So we filed a claim. Everything seem to be OK and then a year and a half after we filed the claim we were canceled. Stated that we were a high-risk because six years ago a water pipe broke and we had a claim and mind you that claim was going to be dropped off so it would not of been counted against us.

Our insurance agent didn't call us, we received a letter in the mail informing us that we were canceled. I don't understand why we were canceled. I'm paying for the floor every year when we don't have a claim. They're still making plenty of money off of us but because we needed them one time they decided that we were too much of a risk. I feel like they are too much of a risk and I believe they should be reported for improper practice.

Original review: April 5, 2018

If I could’ve put zero stars, I would have. I have homeowner’s and multiple life insurance policies with State Farm (all of which are about to be cancelled). I had a flood in our second bathroom 6 weeks ago, the water complete flooded the bathroom and went under the house, leaking to the outside. Multiple contractor estimates were around $20,000 to fix all the damage. State Farm initially said they’d pay $1350 of it, now they added an add’l $1800 but refused to address that the posts my house are on are sitting in standing water.

We’ve talked to multiple adjusters, supervisors and our broker and nothing can be done despite some obvious health and safety issues. We’ve also had major problems arguing with State Farm a decade ago, about an auto insurance claim. Save yourself TONS of money and headaches and avoid this company altogether. I’ve never had such terrible customer service from a company that I had an ongoing relationship with. What a horrible way to treat long term loyal customers. Never again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance for 12 years. In that time I have never had to file a claim for house repairs. I had a sudden strong wind lift the roof of the patio of one of my houses. The State Farm adjuster came out to look at the damage and said she would take care of everything. My roof is five months old and State Farm said they would patch the damaged section. All they paid for was to put a little tar on the damage part. My roofer came out to make the repairs and told me that patch job was only good for 3 to 4 years. He said for it to be properly repaired it should be coated and that would last 25 years.

I have called every day to State Farm adjuster and none of my calls have ever been returned. I called the claims department and again not return phone calls. I have paid several thousands of dollars throughout the years and the one time I need to file a claim there's a huge problem. Once this issue is resolved and I find another Insurance Company and cancel my policies for both homes. I would never ever recommend State Farm to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I live in the Kankakee/Aroma Park, Illinois area and last week we had a massive wind and rainstorm. I had an inch of water in my once furnished basement. An agent came out, didn't take pictures, no measurements, or check my sump pump or the back up to the sump pump. I have 6 rooms that were flooded, he told me I didn't have $1000 worth of damage so they cancelled my claim.

Original review: March 13, 2018

We've had homeowners through State Farm for 20 years. We've had car insurance longer than that. My entire family - parents and siblings have had State Farm for car and home for at least 50 years. My husband and I got a cancellation letter because we didn't replace some boards on our house. I informed SF, Wells Fargo and GA that we haven't seen an agent in 15 years. I was told that they sent a letter in 2016 about "some boards" needing replacement. No pictures, diagrams or a human to point out which boards need to be replaced. SO, they sent ONE letter TWO years ago, no calls/voicemails/emails/person, and SUDDENLY, we get cancelled.

Even today, the State Farm lady didn't offer to tell us which boards need to be replaced. We don't have leaks or anything hanging or floppy or damaged, so how the heck are we supposed to know what to replace? What if we just take a guess and replace boards that State Farm wasn't concerned about? Although, State Farm is all my family has ever dealt with, I am apprehensive about them now. Who is running the company that approves of a process of telling a homeowner to replace something, refusing to show them what to replace, then cancelling them even though every payment has been made on time? They don't deserve our money anyway.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information