State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 22, 2020

This company promises to help families when their home is damaged. They have adjusters who lie. We have pictures and numerous professionals who back our claim. Get insurance through a different company!

Original review: April 21, 2020

I would give this company 0 stars if I could. Terrible insurance company, DO NOT USE. These people are liars and crooks. We have extensive water damage to our house. It's definitely something that falls under what insurance should cover. The adjuster that they sent out was a complete jerk from the get go. Didn't want to listen to anything we had to say. Acted like he knew more than the contractors. We had a bunch of standing water in our attic which seeped down into our drywall causing damage to our insulation, windows, siding, etc. He saw with his own eyes how much water was up in the attic. There are no pipes or anything in our attic. This water came from the roof or some other defect in the house. We had several contractors and experts come out and inspect the damage. Every single one of these companies that we had out said that there was a lot that needed fixed and replaced. The house is not even livable right now.

The insurance adjuster is only paying to remove insulation from attic, and dry out the water in the attic. He said nothing else needs to be done, and that he is closing the case. We have several contractors saying otherwise. We have a bid for over $88,000 in damages. That's how bad it is. We decided to contact management at State Farm, since we weren't getting anywhere with this jerk of an insurance adjuster. We submitted all the claims and letters from all of these contractors, and the management is still siding with the insurance adjuster. Management won't even come out to our house to see with their own eyes what's going on with our house.

The adjuster lied and told their management that the insulation was damp, but there was not much water up in the attic. We have three kids, and we can't even live in our house right now. We haven't lived in our house for 3 months. That's how long this has all taken, and they haven't even done anything for us. We are now in the process of taking this terrible company to court. Please DO NOT use this insurance company. We will be switching companies once this is all over with.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I have been waiting to write this review as our home that was insured by State Farm has been sold. I waited because if I were to write it while they were still insuring my house, I am positive they would have retaliated by cancelling the policy while the house was on the market, causing the house to not be able to be sold. My husband had been a state farm customer all of his life, he's 51 now. We bought the house I am referring to in 1997. State farm was the insurance carrier for 23 years.

At one point my husband lost his job and his company gave him a choice of taking a job in another city or be put on the street. The new job was for markedly less money. We had to pick up our lives and children and move literally overnight. While we were renting a house in the new city we were travelling back and forth trying to get our original house cleaned, repaired and ready to be put on the market.

We were on the verge of bankruptcy. The stress was unreal, it affected our health both mentally and physically. We were about to have things relatively under control when we found out State Farm was cancelling our insurance. Yeh, JUST what we needed. Why were they doing that? They said we "abandoned" our home. REALLY?!?! WE WERE TRYING TO SURVIVE! But it gets better. To build on their petty case they took a photo of a gas can that my husband hadn't been able to fit into the 12th U-Haul truck that we used during multiple trips. They said the gas can meant we were careless, dangerous people. They never contacted us or asked us what was going on. They just cancelled the policy.

We had a claim the year before after YEARS of NO claims due to hail damage that was neighborhood wide, not just us. I have read that if you make a claim no matter how many years you have been a loyal customer they will cancel you. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and they came down on our necks with both feet. My husband is a fighter though, and when he gets pissed he levels people. He countered everything they accused us of with proof otherwise and he was willing to take it to court. They ultimately backed down but raised our premiums.

A lot of people don't have the where-with-all to fight like my husband does, and those are the people that State Farm preys upon. I wanted to try to get a different carrier but my husband is stubborn and said State Farm was going to do as they promised and insure our house. What kind of company acts this way toward other human beings?? They had NO sympathy and actually acting quite pleased to hold authority over the situation. Their attitude was too bad, we will do what we want, you have no say. PLEASE heed my and other reviewers warnings! DO NOT give this company your money. They will screw you the first chance they get! They are heartless!

Original review: March 2, 2020

I'm a 100% disabled Veteran & without my consent, State Farm cancelled my home insurance from a voicemail???? I had everything included in my mortgage. I tried calling & had to speak repeatedly to mindless, uneducated children who cared more about playing games on the company's computers than actually doing anything. AVOID state farm AT ALL COSTS... READ ALL OF THE HORRIBLE REVIEWS OF THESE IDIOTS. WARNING to any neighbors, I just might leave a simple voicemail & your insurance will be cancelled by some dumb ** who can't even tie a shoelace. ** YOU STATE FARM????

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

My home was insured with State Farm Insurance. We had storm/tornado/hail damage to our property in Texas. We filed claim within 3 days of damage. The adjuster assigned to us never showed up until 2 months later. State Farm refused to pay our claims. State Farm Insurance is happy to collect the premium that you pay. The Company will continue to be a good company until you make a claim. If you make any claim no matter how small, State Farm will either cancel your policy or totally reject your claim and will be willing to fight you in court. Beware; avoid this company or you will regret having anything to do with it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have been with SF for many years with no claims. I have high deductibles to keep price in check. This year I had two claims. One was a tornado that blew some shingles off my roof, the inspector came out and dismissed it, and there was no repairs needed. The second claim was after a hurricane in that case many shingles were blown loose and on to the ground, along with a scratch on my truck from the debris. The inspector indicated about one third of the roof was impacted, and his professional opinion was repair the roof. Now this is no shack and the existing roof is 10 years old, on which I pay for full replacement in my policy with a 5,000 dollar deductible.

After speaking with several roofing contractors who all agreed a new roof was in order I called the adjuster, he told me the truck should have been in the garage, and he did not care what anyone said. He stands by his inspection, what a conceited and ignorant man. So now I have a $200,000 house that they want me to pay $3,000 out of pocket for a patch job. The end result is I will put a new roof on my house and no one will dictate to me what I will do with my property. I am moving all my business to another company because I am the customer, and they are the service company. I had similar problems with my auto insurance, the local office is great, but for any claims it will be a 1 800 number and then it is not personal anymore, I am so unhappy with this company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Insured with State Farm homeowners insurance since 1978... that’s 41 years. This year we had 2 claims related to a micro-burst causing damage to gutters and some water damage... total reimbursement $4,025. This was the only claim in 41 years. Just opened a cancellation notice because the policy “is becoming unprofitable.” How is a payout of 4 thousand after the thousands we have paid out over 41 years plus the interest they made on that money “unprofitable?" Pass on their offer for any insurance, certainly no loyalty there.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I cannot warn you enough! Like a good neighbor State Farm will not be there. Do not believe their commercials. I, like most other people have always considered State Farm to be a top rated insurance company until I had a house claim a month ago for a leak in my bathroom. From the second I called my agent he begun to tell me how Tough it was to get a claim for a leak covered. He even told me that 1 of his family members left them due to a denied claim. So I begun to ask him, "What do you mean? Why would a leak not be covered?" And all he could reply was, "I don't really know if it will or not," and boy was he right!

From the second I called to make a claim the lady I spoke to told me she would not authorize any work be done. Told me I had to hire a plumber to figure out where the leak was coming from and what the problem was at my own expense and she would send a gesture out to see if it was a covered claim. Look I don't wanna ramble on. I am not the best writer but I will tell you this. The claims adjuster came out and immediately declined the claim and said, "Any leaks are not covered under your homeowner's policy." I was never informed this when I got my home owner's insurance and was not aware that water leaks are not covered claims. Run folks run! If you don't believe me just start doing some research and you will see from hundreds of other people who have left bad reviews that I am telling you the truth.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My 6800 sq. ft home experienced severe electrical damage by apparent surge or lightning. I filed on November 18th and over 3 weeks went by before a returned call (after chasing them) and then a nightmare ever since. My son and I are left without any heat meanwhile and hot water no hot water in the kitchen or my son's room and guest rooms. The electrician I hired referred from my SF agent says the home is dangerous and we should not be here. The home to repair will cost in the six figures most likely and I've been told that this is why it prolongs approval. It's a shame to be treated so by this company when I have never once had an homeowner claim and when you need them they do not respond for weeks and then torture their customers over a claim. I am so upset and sorry I trusted them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had a house fire 6/22/19, my family and I have been displaced and I have had to make several calls for the resolution to my claim. I have escalated from my claims rep Karen to her manager Cindy **, to her manager Adrian ** & Jeff ** and no one has returned my calls, Karen has advised this has never taken as long. Prior to November I was advised everyone was on vacation and now in December I was advised it's been approved. It's waiting for payment. That has been over 3 weeks. I have been a file on someone's desk for the last 6 going on 7 months, this is how State Farm treat their people that has never submitted a claim.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information