Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.33/5

Policygenius focuses on simplifying the insurance shopping process. Policygenius works with more than 25 insurers to help customers find the best rates. Customers who bundle home and auto policies save up to 20% on premiums. Policygenius’ survey takes about five minutes to complete and matches respondents with a homeowners insurance company.

BOTTOM LINE

Policygenius connects consumers to homeowners insurance companies across the country. It’s only available online, but the process is easy and removes a lot of the inefficiencies of shopping for insurance.

PROS

• Easy comparison shopping
  • Fast application
  • Bundling option

CONS

• No face-to-face communication

Top Policygenius Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Homeowners Insurance?

I talked with a few different people at Policygenius and they were all helpful. They responded to my questions quickly and they were able to find an insurance policy that saved me about $300 per year between my homeowners and auto policies.

Policygenius takes away the onerous task of looking up multiple insurance policy providers and comparing all the features and pricing. It is an innovative service where Policygenius staff handholds the customer from inception till signing up for the policy.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

How does Policygenius homeowners insurance work?

Policygenius users fill out a quick online form before being matched with a homeowners insurance company. The form takes about five minutes to complete and asks for information about the policyholder and the home they want to cover. Once you complete the form, the company matches you with insurance providers that fit your needs and lets you compare options and prices. Policygenius can match you with homeowners insurance options in all 50 U.S. states.

Policygenius homeowners insurance cost

Because Policygenius works with multiple insurers, costs vary. Broadly speaking, homeowners insurance averages around $35 a month for every $100,000 in home value. The price is also affected by the deductible, the value of your belongings, your claims history and your home’s location.

The main benefit of shopping for home insurance through Policygenius is the ability to compare prices easily. It’s much easier and more efficient to get affordable homeowners insurance quotes through Policygenius than by getting individual quotes from several companies.

What does Policygenius homeowners insurance cover?

Policygenius works with many homeowners insurance companies, each with its own coverage guidelines. A typical home insurance policy commonly includes these coverages:

• Dwelling coverage: Covers the home’s structure and built-in appliances when damaged by a covered hazard
  • Other structures coverage: Covers structures not attached to the main home
  • Personal property coverage: Covers personal possessions inside and outside the home
  • Additional living expenses: Covers necessary expenses if a home is temporarily uninhabitable
  • Personal liability coverage: Covers medical and legal bills in the case you’re liable for an injury
  • Medical payments coverage: Covers medical bills no matter who is at fault

Every homeowners insurance policy bought through Policygenius has optional add-ons, including earthquake coverage and flood coverage.

Policygenius homeowners insurance discounts

Discounts are an excellent way to lower the cost of homeowners insurance. Discounts vary by company, but common ones include discounts for couples, first-time homebuyers, nonsmoking households and those with home protection systems. Bundling several policies through Policygenius is also a common way to save. Policygenius notes that having a plan with a higher deductible is the leading way to lower premium prices, regardless of policy or location. Keep in mind, however, that having a higher deductible results in paying more out of pocket if you need to file a claim.

Policygenius homeowners insurance FAQ

What’s the benefit of shopping through Policygenius?
The main benefit of shopping for home insurance through Policygenius is saving time by getting quotes from multiple insurers at once. Policygenius does the legwork of finding plans and showing them to the consumer.
Does Policygenius sell home insurance?
No. Policygenius is an online marketplace that connects consumers to home insurance providers.
Is Policygenius available in my state?
Yes. Policygenius is available in all 50 states.
Is Policygenius free?
It’s free to use the Policygenius website. When users purchase homeowners insurance, they pay the provider directly, but Policygenius does not charge users a fee.

Is Policygenius homeowners insurance worth it?

Policygenius is worth it for people looking for a more affordable homeowners insurance plan. Users can also conveniently shop for several types of insurance — not just homeowners — and save through bundling policies. Overall, Policygenius has created an excellent system for consumers to compare homeowners insurance plans, saving people the effort of reaching out to multiple providers for quotes.

Policygenius Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

If you're thinking about using Policygenius to compare homeowners insurance quotes, a piece of advice: don't. First, they sent emails assuring me that they were experiencing a high volume of requests but offered to try to expedite my request if I replied to their emails. So I did so, and I soon received another email telling me that they simply could not complete my request unless I sent them another email. So I did so. I'm not sure why they require this type of runaround, but I guess they're trying to ensure that they don't waste their time on frivolous requests.

I finally get my quote almost three weeks after I first submitted my request. But they quoted me for renters insurance, even though I specifically requested homeowners insurance. I let them know of their mistake, and I received a snarky reply by email telling me that I had checked a box saying that I am a renter. There is a section of the form that asks for your current address and whether you rent or own. I entered my current address and selected that I rent. Because I am buying a house (also provided the address for the new property), I am currently renting. It seems the agent misinterpreted their own form and blamed it on me. Worth noting is that Policygenius recommended MetLife for my renters insurance.

Finally, I get my homeowners insurance quote. It's also for Metlife. There is no comparison between different insurers offered. Funnily enough, I had already received a quote from Geico that was for $1,000 less than the MetLife quote from Policygenius. All I can conclude is that Policygenius is inefficient and ineffective because they're slow and did not even get me the best quote. They don't allow you to compare policies. It also seems they have some deal to shill MetLife. They advertise heavily on podcasts, so I would also take any positive reviews with a grain of salt--they seem to have an extensive marketing budget. Avoid at all costs.

Policygenius Homeowners Insurance response

Hi,

My name is Jonathan, and I am one of the managers on the Policygenius home & auto team. I wanted to personally reach out to apologize for your experience. Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated as we continue to work to improve both our products and processes.

Not only should you have received your options in a more timely manner, but your property should have been quoted correctly the first time. This was absolutely an error on our part and I’m sorry that this was not effectively communicated to you immediately after it happened.

With respect to our recommendation, we work with several carriers and are not incentivized to recommend one over another. We simply present the option that we believe is in our client’s best interest.

Ultimately our mission here at Policygenius is to provide an unprecedented consultative client experience and once again, I’m genuinely sorry that we were unable to deliver that to you.

I am more than happy to be your main point of contact from here on out so please feel free to reach out to me directly at 855-695-2255 x2 if you would like to discuss your experience further or share any specific concerns.

Jonathan

Original review: March 4, 2019

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 3, 2019

From a few simple questions online, to a quick phone call, to ongoing service, Policygenius has always had team members available to help. I received transparent, objective quotes to switch my current insurance provider, and Policygenius helped make the transition. They made it easy to shop for a better policy, and assisted with everything from getting quotes to responding to the insurer's concerns from the inspection.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Original review: March 1, 2019

I used Policygenius initially for Life Insurance. I was so happy with their service and the options they found me that I came back for homeowner's insurance. I ended up using the same company they found me for auto insurance too. Very happy customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I had a fantastic experience working with PolicyGenius. I was assigned an agent named Fabio and he was very patient with me. He listened to all my questions, provided thorough answers, and did a great job of explaining the process. Highly recommend!

Policygenius Homeowners Insurance Company Information