Get Started

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance

4.9/5 (197 ratings)

About Lemonade Home Insurance

Lemonade offers affordable homeowners insurance that you can purchase entirely online. It also makes dealing with claims a user-friendly process. The company donates unused portions of premiums to charities chosen by policyholders. Lemonade homeowners insurance is not available everywhere in the U.S., but it’s an inexpensive and convenient option for those who can use it.

Pros

• Quick online quotes
  • Convenient app
  • Affordable policies

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No auto insurance to bundle

Bottom Line

Lemonade homeowners insurance offers relatively cheap policies designed for the 21st century and donates leftover premium funds to charity. It’s available in 23 states plus Washington, D.C.

How does Lemonade home insurance work?

Lemonade homeowners insurance includes six types of coverages:

• Dwelling coverage for your physical house
  • Other structures coverage for things like a fence or shed
  • Personal property coverage for your belongings
  • Loss of use coverage, which covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable because of a covered event
  • Liability coverage in case you injure someone or damage someone’s property
  • Medical payments coverage to pay for medical bills if someone is hurt on your property

Lemonade also offers extra coverage for valuables like jewelry, which protects you against damage, theft or accidental loss anywhere. There is no deductible for this coverage.

You can get a fast quote for Lemonade homeowners insurance online or through the company app. You can also use the app to make claims. Lemonade pays claims directly into your bank account; its goal is to pay most claims instantly, but some payouts may take more time.

A unique feature of Lemonade is its Giveback program. The company takes a flat fee from leftover premiums each year and donates remaining funds to nonprofits selected by its customers.

Lemonade homeowners insurance cost

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance varies based on several factors, but policies generally start at $25 a month. The premium depends on where you live, the types and amounts of coverage you choose, the deductible and your insurance history.

Getting a quote online or using the Lemonade app is simple. If you have security devices in your home, such as an alarm system or smoke detectors, you might qualify for a discount. You can also save with Lemonade by bundling home insurance with Lemonade pet insurance or by paying annually.

What does Lemonade homeowners insurance cover?

Lemonade homeowners insurance covers loss of or damage to the structure of your home and belongings from risks, or “perils.” Policies cover perils including fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, theft and the weight of ice and snow.

Lemonade homeowners insurance also covers exterior structures on your property, your personal liability and medical payments in case someone gets hurt at your home. If your house is damaged by a peril and you have to move out while it’s being rebuilt or repaired, Lemonade pays for additional living expenses like hotel bills.

Policies have deductibles, coverage limits and exclusions. For example, Lemonade doesn’t cover water damage due to a flood, and it generally doesn’t cover damage from termites. If you have valuable items like jewelry, make sure to ask about its extra coverage policies, which are similar to scheduled personal property coverage.

Lemonade homeowners insurance FAQ

Will Lemonade cover items in self-storage?
Yes, Lemonade covers theft of items you have in a self-storage unit away from your home up to $1,000. In some states, the coverage is for up to 10% of your personal property coverage limit.
Does Lemonade have physical locations?
No, Lemonade is entirely digital, which makes it especially popular with millennials. The company is based in New York City.
Can I qualify for discounts from Lemonade?
Yes. You might receive a discount if you have an alarm system, a home monitoring system or smoke detectors. You may also qualify if you bundle homeowners insurance with pet insurance or if you pay for your coverage annually.
Where is Lemonade insurance available?
Lemonade homeowners insurance is currently available in 23 states, plus Washington, D.C. These include:
  • Arizona
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Does Lemonade cover accidental damage?
Lemonade doesn’t cover accidental damage to personal property in its base coverage. However, it does have policies to cover accidental damage of high-value items.

Is Lemonade home insurance good?

We recommend Lemonade homeowners insurance because of the company’s quick sign-up process, easy-to-understand policies, low prices and fast claim payouts. The Giveback program, which donates leftover premium funds to charities, is a great bonus. Lemonade homeowners insurance reviews praise the company for modernizing an important part of the homeownership experience.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 29, 2021

I am so happy with my experience with Lemonade! From the very first contact when I was purchasing my house to a broken water heater that flooded my bedroom, they have taken care of the entire thing and it was way faster than I ever thought. At first, I was concerned that because of the low monthly premium the coverage would not be the best if something happened, I was wrong. I submitted the invoice for reimbursement for the water heater damage on a Saturday, and Lemonade had direct deposited the funds by Tuesday morning. I am very impressed, I have been recommending Lemonade to my friends for months now because of the low premium, but now I will recommend to EVERYONE. They turned an unfortunate situation and turned it around for me, I never expected an insurance company to be so fast and easy with the handling of a claim. Thank you Lemonade!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2021

We had to make a claim after the big freeze that hit Texas for our home. Pipes in our garage attic had burst, damaging the ceiling of the garage and of the (adjacent) dining room. Water had gotten everywhere and we had had trouble getting the water shut off so we didn't know if we would carry some blame or if insurance would find a way to not cover fully.

I had never made a claim before but everything was super simple and easy. We made a video recording and Corey from Lemonade got back to us within a couple of days to talk through all of the steps. Immediately I felt like they were taking care of us. Communication was always great and I never felt out of the loop. It was easy for me to send emails with more information or set up a call. Lemonade coordinated the demo of our ceilings and immediately sent funds when I got a contractor estimate for the repair. Despite everything taking a couple months from start to finish due to contractor shortages after the freeze, Corey had everything under control. I am extremely grateful to Lemonade and feel like it was an extremely good decision to go with them for our homeowners policy.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had an excellent experience with Lemonade, especially with Ben, my claim representative. I had a difficult time getting a contractor to come give me an estimate for damages in my bathroom. I had issues with my HOA, The unit upstairs who caused the damage, and contractors who didn’t show up to give an estimate. The one contractor I did have gave an outrageous estimate, and he refused to give a written estimate. Ben was aware of everything going on. He allowed me to attempt to get my own estimates. I had no success. Ben stepped in and took action. He sent an adjuster to assess the damages. Once the adjuster submitted the damage estimate to Ben, I was paid within 24 hours.

Ben made me feel confident, and relieved knowing that I had a professional person who knew what they were doing. Both Ben and the adjuster were professional, knowledgeable, and comforting. I bet most people can’t say that about their insurance company! I would recommend lemonade to everyone! It is easy, especially during these unprecedented times. They are professional and they only deal with professionals. I am very happy with the service I received. Thank you Ben for coordinating my claim.

Original review: April 19, 2021

When we walked into our Condo in January 2020 and saw water everywhere and the ceiling in our baby room caved in and gushing like a fountain. Our first feeling was to panic. So many concerns went throughout mind. But then we remembered we had Condo Insurance with Lemonade. Once the dust had settled we contacted our Carrier. Corey was our representative who got on the call and with a level head told us not to worry about anything. "You need a place to stay? Done. We will pay for it. You need the your damaged items replaced? We will pay for it. You need your Rooms repaired and sprayed for mold? We will pay for it."

I can't begin to express how helpful Corey was, and how smoothly everything went. No messing about, no trying to cut costs like other carriers do leaving you in the end out of pocket thousands of dollars. And the Bonus came on 04/16/2021 when Corey emailed us long after we had forgotten about the claim telling us they had recovered our deductible and it was on its way. He even remembered to ask about our babies and how they were doing. Stellar service!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Alright, so I got my policy with Lemonade when I bought my house in July 2019, and did my first claim this month (April 2021). I feel like I can write a good honest review now. First, let's talk about setting up a policy when buying a house. This could not be simpler. Everything is online, you fill out a questionnaire about your house, say what coverage you want, and you have a quote within a few minutes. AND that quote is less than half of what you'd pay anywhere else.

Second, let's talk about making a claim. The first point had me worried, I assumed that since it was so cheap and easy to sign up, they would be super difficult to actually get a claim through, which is usually the case in 'you get what you pay for.' Fortunately, all you pay for is AMAZING, UNDERSTANDING SERVICE. No crazy hoops, no elongated processing, no battling with claim adjusters or running around for multiple estimates. Because, you pay Lemonade to actually work with you, when with anyone else, you pay for their office building. They actually do get your claim settled within hours and get you paid as fast as the bank will process it. I can not recommend Lemonade enough. Seriously, the best service I could imagine. Thank you for making my life easier when unfortunate stuff happens.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I strongly recommend Lemonade. After the situation my mind is really blank not sure what to do. Even that is on Sunday. With required information on app immediately I got the claim number. I used that number for each service. Monday morning got call from Claim coordinator and he makes me feel better. In week time I got the approval for the claim. My family is really happy now because we took insurance from Lemonade. "Jeremy" he is very professional friendly person. If there is rating more than 5* I give to them. After this situation my friends are moving to Lemonade because of the response they given to me. Thank you very much Lemonade.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Lauren is spectacular and accomplished more than I have ever seen any insurance advocate ever before. I am forever grateful for her hard work, compassion and understanding. She was always available to answer questions, responds to email, and does not create unnecessary confusion. Superb is an understatement.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I would like to acknowledge Morgen my claim adjuster for the following reasons. She was very helpful and experience. She was answered my email quickly.

She was keen, the claim was done fairly. My kitchen window was damage by tree, was broken.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Working with The Lemonade team on my theft claim was so straightforward and simple. They took what was a super stressful situation I was going through and made me feel at ease. Email replies were quick, concise, and transparent. I felt like Lemonade was on my team, trying to help me, and there were no hidden fees or issues.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Submitted my claim for water damage and less than 24 hours after sending contractor estimate I had my claim approved and payment processed. What a difference from the previous company I was with that sat on my claim for weeks! So glad to be a Lemonade customer. A++ customer service.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Company Information