Get Started

3. Homeowners Insurance
Lemonade Homeowners Insurance

4.8/5 (108 ratings)

About Lemonade Home Insurance

Lemonade offers affordable homeowners insurance that you can purchase entirely online. It also makes dealing with claims a user-friendly process. The company donates unused portions of premiums to charities chosen by policyholders. Lemonade homeowners insurance is not available everywhere in the U.S., but it’s an inexpensive and convenient option for those who can use it.

Pros

• Quick online quotes
  • Convenient app
  • Affordable policies

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No auto insurance to bundle

Bottom Line

Lemonade homeowners insurance offers relatively cheap policies designed for the 21st century and donates leftover premium funds to charity. It’s available in 23 states plus Washington, D.C.

How does Lemonade home insurance work?

Lemonade homeowners insurance includes six types of coverages:

• Dwelling coverage for your physical house
  • Other structures coverage for things like a fence or shed
  • Personal property coverage for your belongings
  • Loss of use coverage, which covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable because of a covered event
  • Liability coverage in case you injure someone or damage someone’s property
  • Medical payments coverage to pay for medical bills if someone is hurt on your property

Lemonade also offers extra coverage for valuables like jewelry, which protects you against damage, theft or accidental loss anywhere. There is no deductible for this coverage.

You can get a fast quote for Lemonade homeowners insurance online or through the company app. You can also use the app to make claims. Lemonade pays claims directly into your bank account; its goal is to pay most claims instantly, but some payouts may take more time.

A unique feature of Lemonade is its Giveback program. The company takes a flat fee from leftover premiums each year and donates remaining funds to nonprofits selected by its customers.

Lemonade homeowners insurance cost

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance varies based on several factors, but policies generally start at $25 a month. The premium depends on where you live, the types and amounts of coverage you choose, the deductible and your insurance history.

Getting a quote online or using the Lemonade app is simple. If you have security devices in your home, such as an alarm system or smoke detectors, you might qualify for a discount. You can also save with Lemonade by bundling home insurance with Lemonade pet insurance or by paying annually.

What does Lemonade homeowners insurance cover?

Lemonade homeowners insurance covers loss of or damage to the structure of your home and belongings from risks, or “perils.” Policies cover perils including fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, theft and the weight of ice and snow.

Lemonade homeowners insurance also covers exterior structures on your property, your personal liability and medical payments in case someone gets hurt at your home. If your house is damaged by a peril and you have to move out while it’s being rebuilt or repaired, Lemonade pays for additional living expenses like hotel bills.

Policies have deductibles, coverage limits and exclusions. For example, Lemonade doesn’t cover water damage due to a flood, and it generally doesn’t cover damage from termites. If you have valuable items like jewelry, make sure to ask about its extra coverage policies, which are similar to scheduled personal property coverage.

Lemonade homeowners insurance FAQ

Will Lemonade cover items in self-storage?
Yes, Lemonade covers theft of items you have in a self-storage unit away from your home up to $1,000. In some states, the coverage is for up to 10% of your personal property coverage limit.
Does Lemonade have physical locations?
No, Lemonade is entirely digital, which makes it especially popular with millennials. The company is based in New York City.
Can I qualify for discounts from Lemonade?
Yes. You might receive a discount if you have an alarm system, a home monitoring system or smoke detectors. You may also qualify if you bundle homeowners insurance with pet insurance or if you pay for your coverage annually.
Where is Lemonade insurance available?
Lemonade homeowners insurance is currently available in 23 states, plus Washington, D.C. These include:
  • Arizona
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Does Lemonade cover accidental damage?
Lemonade doesn’t cover accidental damage to personal property in its base coverage. However, it does have policies to cover accidental damage of high-value items.

Is Lemonade home insurance good?

We recommend Lemonade homeowners insurance because of the company’s quick sign-up process, easy-to-understand policies, low prices and fast claim payouts. The Giveback program, which donates leftover premium funds to charities, is a great bonus. Lemonade homeowners insurance reviews praise the company for modernizing an important part of the homeownership experience.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 29, 2021

I am so happy with my experience with Lemonade! From the very first contact when I was purchasing my house to a broken water heater that flooded my bedroom, they have taken care of the entire thing and it was way faster than I ever thought. At first, I was concerned that because of the low monthly premium the coverage would not be the best if something happened, I was wrong. I submitted the invoice for reimbursement for the water heater damage on a Saturday, and Lemonade had direct deposited the funds by Tuesday morning. I am very impressed, I have been recommending Lemonade to my friends for months now because of the low premium, but now I will recommend to EVERYONE. They turned an unfortunate situation and turned it around for me, I never expected an insurance company to be so fast and easy with the handling of a claim. Thank you Lemonade!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2021

We had to make a claim after the big freeze that hit Texas for our home. Pipes in our garage attic had burst, damaging the ceiling of the garage and of the (adjacent) dining room. Water had gotten everywhere and we had had trouble getting the water shut off so we didn't know if we would carry some blame or if insurance would find a way to not cover fully.

I had never made a claim before but everything was super simple and easy. We made a video recording and Corey from Lemonade got back to us within a couple of days to talk through all of the steps. Immediately I felt like they were taking care of us. Communication was always great and I never felt out of the loop. It was easy for me to send emails with more information or set up a call. Lemonade coordinated the demo of our ceilings and immediately sent funds when I got a contractor estimate for the repair. Despite everything taking a couple months from start to finish due to contractor shortages after the freeze, Corey had everything under control. I am extremely grateful to Lemonade and feel like it was an extremely good decision to go with them for our homeowners policy.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had an excellent experience with Lemonade, especially with Ben, my claim representative. I had a difficult time getting a contractor to come give me an estimate for damages in my bathroom. I had issues with my HOA, The unit upstairs who caused the damage, and contractors who didn’t show up to give an estimate. The one contractor I did have gave an outrageous estimate, and he refused to give a written estimate. Ben was aware of everything going on. He allowed me to attempt to get my own estimates. I had no success. Ben stepped in and took action. He sent an adjuster to assess the damages. Once the adjuster submitted the damage estimate to Ben, I was paid within 24 hours.

Ben made me feel confident, and relieved knowing that I had a professional person who knew what they were doing. Both Ben and the adjuster were professional, knowledgeable, and comforting. I bet most people can’t say that about their insurance company! I would recommend lemonade to everyone! It is easy, especially during these unprecedented times. They are professional and they only deal with professionals. I am very happy with the service I received. Thank you Ben for coordinating my claim.

Original review: April 19, 2021

When we walked into our Condo in January 2020 and saw water everywhere and the ceiling in our baby room caved in and gushing like a fountain. Our first feeling was to panic. So many concerns went throughout mind. But then we remembered we had Condo Insurance with Lemonade. Once the dust had settled we contacted our Carrier. Corey was our representative who got on the call and with a level head told us not to worry about anything. "You need a place to stay? Done. We will pay for it. You need the your damaged items replaced? We will pay for it. You need your Rooms repaired and sprayed for mold? We will pay for it."

I can't begin to express how helpful Corey was, and how smoothly everything went. No messing about, no trying to cut costs like other carriers do leaving you in the end out of pocket thousands of dollars. And the Bonus came on 04/16/2021 when Corey emailed us long after we had forgotten about the claim telling us they had recovered our deductible and it was on its way. He even remembered to ask about our babies and how they were doing. Stellar service!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Alright, so I got my policy with Lemonade when I bought my house in July 2019, and did my first claim this month (April 2021). I feel like I can write a good honest review now. First, let's talk about setting up a policy when buying a house. This could not be simpler. Everything is online, you fill out a questionnaire about your house, say what coverage you want, and you have a quote within a few minutes. AND that quote is less than half of what you'd pay anywhere else.

Second, let's talk about making a claim. The first point had me worried, I assumed that since it was so cheap and easy to sign up, they would be super difficult to actually get a claim through, which is usually the case in 'you get what you pay for.' Fortunately, all you pay for is AMAZING, UNDERSTANDING SERVICE. No crazy hoops, no elongated processing, no battling with claim adjusters or running around for multiple estimates. Because, you pay Lemonade to actually work with you, when with anyone else, you pay for their office building. They actually do get your claim settled within hours and get you paid as fast as the bank will process it. I can not recommend Lemonade enough. Seriously, the best service I could imagine. Thank you for making my life easier when unfortunate stuff happens.

Original review: July 16, 2021

This was the 3rd time I had to replace my roof due to hail damage. It's a real thing in North Texas! Working with Lemonade was smooth and deposits were very quick. Take pictures of damage to start the claim. From there it moves to emails. Adjuster came out quickly. Pick a roofer that can work well with insurance for an extra smooth experience.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Since I been with Lemonade Homeowners Insurance. Services has been wonderful. No complaints. I would recommend Lemonade Insurance to others. Whenever I reach out to someone through email, response is fast. I previously had filed a claim and my Claim Advocate was very professional and caring. He made sure all my needs were met.

Original review: July 14, 2021

First of all, Lemonade's claim process was very straightforward and the APP was easy to use. Second, Lemonade assigned someone to assess the damage timely. Third, the Claims Team was very responsive to my questions. Lastly, I was amazed at the efficient approval and fund release processes. It was a great experience. Thanks Lemonade!

Original review: July 12, 2021

Good to know that when things are going so wrong Tobias and the whole Lemonade team made things easier and promptly. Communication was great. Answers came quickly And Fair. I’ve told all my friends about Lemonade. You guys are the best.

All the best

Leo

Original review: July 12, 2021

I had a water event in my home. Filing a claim with Lemonade was so easy! Just opened up the app on my phone and in no time I was connected to a real human, Christina, who was so wonderful. She was kind, understanding, informative, and reassuring. The whole experience really was seamless, and I am thrilled with Lemonade. I used them all the years I was renting an apartment in NYC and was excited to insure my home with them. Thank you Christina and the Lemonade Team!

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was frustrated by finding out the water leak and damage, and Lemonade processed my claim so fast and so kind. I am very satisfied by the services they provided during the process, and everyone I encountered during the process was kind and helpful. Thank you so much.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Unfortunately a severe storm hit and water backed up in my basement along with thousands of other residents causing us to lose a lot of stuff. Jeremy was very helpful and he really made my claim process very smooth. I am overall satisfied with my service I received. I will recommend this company to my friends and family.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I am very impressed on the ease and how Lemonade handled my claim. They were very helpful in a stressful situation. I would refer them because it was easier than the average big dogs. I love lemonade because they aren't expensive.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Lemonade made my claim easy, simple, and helped me get the funds to replace my roof. The instructions for what I needed to do were clear and the funds were quickly released into my account. I've been a Lemonade customer for years now through rentals and ownership and hope to stay with them for a long time.

Original review: July 1, 2021

My gold clubs were stolen from my house and Sara immediately jumped in and put me at ease. This may not sound like a big deal, but there are 3 things in my life that are important: my fiance, my family, and my golf clubs. Sara from the word go made me feel very comfortable, was so responsive, and very quick. The whole process took less than a week

Original review: June 26, 2021

I love Lemonade. I've been a customer for 2 years now and have enjoyed the peace of mind they provide. They're extremely affordable and the support team is always there to help. The app is also extremely easy to use as well!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I like Lemonade and the app based insurance was easy to sign up for. I felt like it was a fair price, and submitting a claim was relatively straightforward. I was a part of the winter storm in Texas so ended up having a pretty significant claim. The agents were understandably overwhelmed with the amount of claims but it was difficult to get ahold of someone (almost all communication is via email at the beginning of a claim) when I had questions. My experience was relatively positive but there were a couple of situations where they were clearly trying to get out of paying me what was due in my policy. The biggest hurdle was regarding loss of use funds, where Lemonade was not happy with how much a temporary apartment I found was going to cost.

I got a call from a new, more aggressive claim agent who pressed me on why I picked that apartment and why wouldn't I do a cheaper (and worse location) place. They then told me I could do the more expensive apartment, but could only do it for a period of 2 months. I did not understand and asked the agent to send me the details in an email, where he became flustered and said he would get back to me. A couple days later, they said that the restrictions were not going to be applied and we could proceed. It was just another level of unnecessary stress during an already stressful time. For my personal items, they were agreeable for most of them but did ask for a ton of pictures showing each individual item claimed. I will keep using Lemonade for now but just know that at the end of the day they want to pay out as little as possible and be ready to stand up for your claim.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I would recommend Lemonade because, excellent customer relationship, respond to customer promptly, kind and friendly agent (Vienna). Concern about the client claim status to get it resolved asap. Every step of the way of the claim is being done online and this makes it so easy from start to the end.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We had an amazing experience with Lemonade. They worked quickly to get our roof assessed by an independent contractor in our area and ensured the pay outs were deposited directly to our account in only a few days time. 5/5 stars, would use again!

Original review: June 18, 2021

Hello, I would like to thank Corey for his all of his help! I had an unfortunate incident happen that could have been a lot worse without his help. He was easy to talk to and very empathetic. We had a quick response and resolved the matter in a timely manner. Thank you again.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Lemonade and their team was great! The process didn't move as fast as I would have liked, but it never does, and comparatively speaking, it went pretty fast. Their team was responsive to emails and phone calls and I truly felt heard and prioritized. Also, not having to come out of pocket with a huge premium was a big plus during an already stressful time!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Vienna and the team at Lemonade were first class in their help and response to an awful home flood experience I went through; great communication with the mitigation company and restoration. Vienna was a rock star. I would highly recommend them to anyone seeking a solid policy for their home.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Lemonade made filing our first insurance claim simple and clear. Everyone I spoke to was so kind and took the time to answer all my questions. Vienna, our Claims Specialist, went above and beyond and was incredibly responsive. They handled our claim quickly and provided partial payments throughout the process so that we were not racking up credit card debt while waiting for the claim to close. We started out with Lemonade as renters and are so happy we chose to work with them when we became homeowners.

Original review: June 9, 2021

Communication was fast and direct thru email and phone. Adjuster was at our home within a few days. The claim was closed within a few weeks. I like Lemonade. I would recommend the service to a friend who is buying a home.

Original review: June 9, 2021

Lemonade made the claim process so easy and quick! I was able to do everything online in a matter of minutes and received a phone call from the claims team right away. The adjuster came by in just a day or two after the claim was made and examined the damage in person without disrupting our personal space. I had a great experience!

Original review: June 7, 2021

Customer service was great. However, I could not give five stars because the process took extremely long. Consequently, I have had to live with a plumbing issue for quite some time. It has been very inconvenient for my family. Hopefully, the repair will be done quickly and I don’t have to come out of pocket much more than the deductible. Nevertheless, I am thankful.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I loved the service I received from my service agent, Clarissa. During this whole ordeal, my anxiety was extremely high and Clarissa was very understanding. Anytime I had a questions she was quick to response in a way I could understand in the moment. I would highly recommend this homeowners insurance to friends and family. My only complaint is that there should be an easier format to finding service providers or contractors in the area.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I’ve been very happy with Lemonade insurance so card I’ve had if for nearly 4 years and it was easy to sign up for, with transparency about coverage. I like their model of donating end of year profits also. I had my first (and hopefully last) claim and the process was a breeze and within a few days we expect to have reimbursement. I highly recommend Lemonade!

Original review: June 3, 2021

I am extremely satisfied with the service from Bobbe and I would recommend Lemonade to anyone because of Bobbe! Bobbe is very professional and easy to communicate with, very thorough and detail oriented and very patient with me! I would love to work with Bobbe again, the whole process is much easier because of Bobbe.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Response time is very quick and timely. Claims are super easy and not very complicated. The app is super easy to use. Communications are easy thru email. Customer service is very accommodating. Reimbursements are also quick and fast. I recommend Lemonade. They are reasonable.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Company Information