Lemonade Homeowners Insurance

Lemonade Home Insurance

4.7/5 (96 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About Lemonade Home Insurance

Lemonade offers affordable homeowners insurance that you can purchase entirely online. It also makes dealing with claims a user-friendly process. The company donates unused portions of premiums to charities chosen by policyholders. Lemonade homeowners insurance is not available everywhere in the U.S., but it’s an inexpensive and convenient option for those who can use it.

Pros

• Quick online quotes
  • Convenient app
  • Affordable policies

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No auto insurance to bundle

Bottom Line

Lemonade homeowners insurance offers relatively cheap policies designed for the 21st century and donates leftover premium funds to charity. It’s available in 23 states plus Washington, D.C.

How does Lemonade home insurance work?

Lemonade homeowners insurance includes six types of coverages:

• Dwelling coverage for your physical house
  • Other structures coverage for things like a fence or shed
  • Personal property coverage for your belongings
  • Loss of use coverage, which covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable because of a covered event
  • Liability coverage in case you injure someone or damage someone’s property
  • Medical payments coverage to pay for medical bills if someone is hurt on your property

Lemonade also offers extra coverage for valuables like jewelry, which protects you against damage, theft or accidental loss anywhere. There is no deductible for this coverage.

You can get a fast quote for Lemonade homeowners insurance online or through the company app. You can also use the app to make claims. Lemonade pays claims directly into your bank account; its goal is to pay most claims instantly, but some payouts may take more time.

A unique feature of Lemonade is its Giveback program. The company takes a flat fee from leftover premiums each year and donates remaining funds to nonprofits selected by its customers.

Lemonade homeowners insurance cost

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance varies based on several factors, but policies generally start at $25 a month. The premium depends on where you live, the types and amounts of coverage you choose, the deductible and your insurance history.

Getting a quote online or using the Lemonade app is simple. If you have security devices in your home, such as an alarm system or smoke detectors, you might qualify for a discount. You can also save with Lemonade by bundling home insurance with Lemonade pet insurance or by paying annually.

What does Lemonade homeowners insurance cover?

Lemonade homeowners insurance covers loss of or damage to the structure of your home and belongings from risks, or “perils.” Policies cover perils including fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, theft and the weight of ice and snow.

Lemonade homeowners insurance also covers exterior structures on your property, your personal liability and medical payments in case someone gets hurt at your home. If your house is damaged by a peril and you have to move out while it’s being rebuilt or repaired, Lemonade pays for additional living expenses like hotel bills.

Policies have deductibles, coverage limits and exclusions. For example, Lemonade doesn’t cover water damage due to a flood, and it generally doesn’t cover damage from termites. If you have valuable items like jewelry, make sure to ask about its extra coverage policies, which are similar to scheduled personal property coverage.

Lemonade homeowners insurance FAQ

Will Lemonade cover items in self-storage?
Yes, Lemonade covers theft of items you have in a self-storage unit away from your home up to $1,000. In some states, the coverage is for up to 10% of your personal property coverage limit.
Does Lemonade have physical locations?
No, Lemonade is entirely digital, which makes it especially popular with millennials. The company is based in New York City.
Can I qualify for discounts from Lemonade?
Yes. You might receive a discount if you have an alarm system, a home monitoring system or smoke detectors. You may also qualify if you bundle homeowners insurance with pet insurance or if you pay for your coverage annually.
Where is Lemonade insurance available?
Lemonade homeowners insurance is currently available in 23 states, plus Washington, D.C. These include:
  • Arizona
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Does Lemonade cover accidental damage?
Lemonade doesn’t cover accidental damage to personal property in its base coverage. However, it does have policies to cover accidental damage of high-value items.

Is Lemonade home insurance good?

We recommend Lemonade homeowners insurance because of the company’s quick sign-up process, easy-to-understand policies, low prices and fast claim payouts. The Giveback program, which donates leftover premium funds to charities, is a great bonus. Lemonade homeowners insurance reviews praise the company for modernizing an important part of the homeownership experience.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: March 30, 2022

I definitely wanted to write a great review for Jose from the Lemonade Claim's team. I had the chance to work with him over email and via one phone call when he returned my call to help answer questions I had. It was a really negative experience getting a prized possession stolen from my own garage and to have to go through this process during an extremely busy week at work. Jose was phenomenal and truly seemed like he was trying his best to make this experience as smooth and seamless as possible. I appreciate his support and kindness as it really did go a long way. This really solidified Lemonade as an insurance company for me and I'll be recommending this service to my friends and peers.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Lemonade made my claim process extremely easy. With the stress of my home being damaged the last thing I needed was the hassle from an insurance company. Lemonade was extremely efficient and timely with scheduling inspections and the whole process. The agents that I spoke with were also extremely professional and easy to talk to. My contractor was a little skeptical when I told him I had Lemonade insurance but by the time the job was complete, he stated Lemonade was one of the best insurance companies he has ever worked with. Throughout the entire process, Lemonade was direct and to the point. They made it easy for me to get my house repaired and I would recommend Lemonade to everyone. I rate Lemonade a perfect 10/10 in every aspect.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I had put in a claim for roof damage, on 16 Feb. 22, I spoke w/ Brittany from the claims team and she got the process going, everything happened so fast. There was only to three email messages between Brittany and I, the last one stated that the check would be in my account 2 to 3 business days, when I awoke the following morning the money for the roof replacement was deposited already. Wow. I was still in phase one of this ordeal and these folks were closing the claim. Now that's the best customer service I've ever had!! Very professional, courteous, genuinely caring and very very expeditiously completed the whole process from initial contact to check deposit was less than 7 days. Your Customer service should be the benchmark for all insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

On our way back from our New Year's vacation in another state, we were horrified to learn from our neighbors that their tree had shed a branch due to strong winds, and had hit our electrical system. We would technically be going home to a place with no power. When I reached out to Lemonade, they immediately helped us out with providing finances to say in a hotel room, so we wouldn't be caught in unfortunate circumstances. Then, during the repair process, Clarissa, who was our Claims Experience Team member, was absolutely amazing. She was very responsive and helpful. More than that, she was empathetic!

Not only is the app super easy to navigate, the team behind it is top-notch. I felt fully taken care of, and I never felt anxious about the repair costs due to the swift support from Lemonade. I highly recommend Lemonade to anyone who seeking an insurance provider. In fact, it was so good that my husband began looking at trying to switch his car insurance over to Lemonade (unfortunately, they still don't cover cars in California). It's really that good! I'm a true believer of this company.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Bought my house in late 2019 and went with Lemonade for the relatively low cost and because it is a certified B corp that donates excess funds to good causes rather than taking it for profit. Just filed my first claim this year (late 2021). A guest walked straight into a closed sliding glass door and broke it in the process (luckily they weren’t hurt, besides their ego).

The claim process was simple, easy, and painless. Provided them with a statement on via their app (easy), emailed them photos of the damage and an estimate for replacement and that was all. The claim was approved quickly and without fuss. I was worried about whether they’d try to haggle with me replacing the door with another metal frame door vs cheaper vinyl, but that didn’t happen. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend Lemonade on price, business model, and customer experience.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Working with Lemonade was great. The Personnel assigned to our case, Ashley was very knowledgeable. She was able to respond to any of our questions or next steps promptly over phone as well as email. The whole process turned out to be very easy for us the first time home buyers. The payout turned out decent to cover the damage and renovation, with any haggling. Highly recommend Lemonade. The really do work with their customers and for their customers.

Original review: April 26, 2022

After a water leak in my home caused by my upstairs neighbor, Bryan and the Lemonade team were super helpful, and always quick to respond. Whether it was getting my claim paid in rapid fashion, or the overall customer experience, I am very thankful for them!

Original review: April 26, 2022

I had a failure with my shower plumbing inside my wall, causing water to leak into adjacent rooms and throughout the bathroom. Repairs required completely gutting the bathroom and starting over, along with repairs to a closet behind the shower and part of a bedroom. Throughout this process, getting help from my claims representative was like pulling teeth. There was a week or two that went by that I absolutely could not get ahold of anyone when I desperately needed information so I could start the rebuild process. Having a catastrophe like this in my house was enough stress, and not getting support from my insurance that I pay for made it much worse.

I requested a supervisor on one occasion because I couldn’t get ahold of my claims rep (after waiting days for a callback) and a supervisor never called. I felt powerless and completely at the mercy of a company that didn’t seem to care about a paying customer. Once I finally got payment issued to me for repairs (long after repairs were complete - forcing me to pay out of pocket to the contractor), I figured it was all over with… Not so fast, it turns out. Two contractors that were hired for the job (Servpro and a lead/asbestos testing company) did not get paid by Lemonade on time, and I was being contacted for the money.

I had to leave my rep another voicemail asking where the money was. This was roughly a month or so after my job was finished. I got a call back from my rep and he promised to issue payment immediately… Once again, not so fast. A few weeks after that, I got a demand email from the Asbestos testing company asking for payment once again. To this day, I don’t know if those folks have been paid. I’m tired of getting emails asking for Lemonade to do their job. I have begun searching for another insurance company.

To be clear, this was Lemonade’s time to shine, if there ever was one. I was on my second year paying for premiums with this company and never used their services until my water leak. They should have proven to me that my money was worth it and provided the best possible service in the industry. This is how you keep customers. If I change insurers, Lemonade will be out of thousands of dollars. It’s in their best interest to keep me around to continue paying premiums, but the service I got reflected an attitude that they could care less. I am disappointed, and will not refer them to anyone looking for insurance.

To be fair, there is an upside to this ordeal. Once I actually did get paid, it was for the full repair amount. My representative didn’t nickel and dime me to death. He saw my repair estimate as fair and paid nearly the full amount I needed to get the job done (minus my deductible, of course). It may have taken more effort than it should have to get to that point, but at least my job was paid in full. Some insurance companies will often shortchange their customers on repairs, and Lemonade did not do that which I am grateful for.

If I had a responsive rep during the process, I would have nothing to complain about. I absolutely did not enjoy being ignored during a stressful situation, and when a supervisor didn’t call me as promised (I was told I would get a call in under 24hrs - never happened), it was the cherry on top. Thank god for my savings account! If I didn’t have money sitting aside for emergencies, this could have been way worse and taken far longer. Mind you, the bathroom needing repairs is the only bathroom in my small house, and I was sleeping on the floor of my friend’s living room and using his shower for over a month during my claim.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Our claim was originally handled by Corey and took over a year to settle. We were very frustrated. The claim was transitioned to Chyloh H who handled our claim and he was fantastic! He was very responsive and we were very happy with our experience with him.

Original review: April 8, 2022

We had a kitchen leak which required our whole kitchen to be ripped out. Our Lemonade adjuster, Christina, was always quick to respond and very helpful in providing us with everything we needed to get our kitchen back together. I appreciate that the team worked with us when we received several quote higher than we received on the claim. They are a very good insurance company.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Company Information