Lemonade Home Insurance

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 5.00/5

Lemonade offers affordable homeowners insurance that you can purchase entirely online. It also makes dealing with claims a user-friendly process. The company donates unused portions of premiums to charities chosen by policyholders. Lemonade homeowners insurance is not available everywhere in the U.S., but it’s an inexpensive and convenient option for those who can use it.

BOTTOM LINE

Lemonade homeowners insurance offers relatively cheap policies designed for the 21st century and donates leftover premium funds to charity. It’s available in 23 states plus Washington, D.C.

PROS
  • Quick online quotes
  • Convenient app
  • Affordable policies
CONS
  • Not available in every state
  • No auto insurance to bundle
Lemonade Home Insurance Get Started

How does Lemonade home insurance work?

Lemonade homeowners insurance includes six types of coverages:

• Dwelling coverage for your physical house
  • Other structures coverage for things like a fence or shed
  • Personal property coverage for your belongings
  • Loss of use coverage, which covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable because of a covered event
  • Liability coverage in case you injure someone or damage someone’s property
  • Medical payments coverage to pay for medical bills if someone is hurt on your property

Lemonade also offers extra coverage for valuables like jewelry, which protects you against damage, theft or accidental loss anywhere. There is no deductible for this coverage.

You can get a fast quote for Lemonade homeowners insurance online or through the company app. You can also use the app to make claims. Lemonade pays claims directly into your bank account; its goal is to pay most claims instantly, but some payouts may take more time.

A unique feature of Lemonade is its Giveback program. The company takes a flat fee from leftover premiums each year and donates remaining funds to nonprofits selected by its customers.

Lemonade homeowners insurance cost

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance varies based on several factors, but policies generally start at $25 a month. The premium depends on where you live, the types and amounts of coverage you choose, the deductible and your insurance history.

Getting a quote online or using the Lemonade app is simple. If you have security devices in your home, such as an alarm system or smoke detectors, you might qualify for a discount. You can also save with Lemonade by bundling home insurance with Lemonade pet insurance or by paying annually.

What does Lemonade homeowners insurance cover?

Lemonade homeowners insurance covers loss of or damage to the structure of your home and belongings from risks, or “perils.” Policies cover perils including fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, theft and the weight of ice and snow.

Lemonade homeowners insurance also covers exterior structures on your property, your personal liability and medical payments in case someone gets hurt at your home. If your house is damaged by a peril and you have to move out while it’s being rebuilt or repaired, Lemonade pays for additional living expenses like hotel bills.

Policies have deductibles, coverage limits and exclusions. For example, Lemonade doesn’t cover water damage due to a flood, and it generally doesn’t cover damage from termites. If you have valuable items like jewelry, make sure to ask about its extra coverage policies, which are similar to scheduled personal property coverage.

Lemonade homeowners insurance FAQ

Will Lemonade cover items in self-storage?
Yes, Lemonade covers theft of items you have in a self-storage unit away from your home up to $1,000. In some states, the coverage is for up to 10% of your personal property coverage limit.
Does Lemonade have physical locations?
No, Lemonade is entirely digital, which makes it especially popular with millennials. The company is based in New York City.
Can I qualify for discounts from Lemonade?
Yes. You might receive a discount if you have an alarm system, a home monitoring system or smoke detectors. You may also qualify if you bundle homeowners insurance with pet insurance or if you pay for your coverage annually.
Where is Lemonade insurance available?
Lemonade homeowners insurance is currently available in 23 states, plus Washington, D.C. These include:
  • Arizona
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Does Lemonade cover accidental damage?
Lemonade doesn’t cover accidental damage to personal property in its base coverage. However, it does have policies to cover accidental damage of high-value items.

Is Lemonade home insurance good?

We recommend Lemonade homeowners insurance because of the company’s quick sign-up process, easy-to-understand policies, low prices and fast claim payouts. The Giveback program, which donates leftover premium funds to charities, is a great bonus. Lemonade homeowners insurance reviews praise the company for modernizing an important part of the homeownership experience.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: April 9, 2021

I had door damage from wind. Jonathan from Lemonade went way above and beyond to help me. When my HOA couldn’t find the docs required and I was stuck, Jonathan called my property managers and HOA to sort it out. He found them on the internet and my claim was approved. I told the contractor how he was and how happy I was with Lemonade and my contact got home insurance from Lemonade today. I would recommend Lemonade to everyone. Great service and experience. Very happy. Thanks Jonathan!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I am first to admit that I loathe insurance companies and lawyers. Always adding fees, making a process more complicated than it needs to be, nickel and diming, etc.. Due to this, I’m highly cynical when it comes to claims. From what I’ve heard from friends and family (fortunately I’ve only had one other claim), proceeding with a claim can be long, enduring, with a huge degree of effort. My wife and I work countless hours, especially during COVID and time is tight. The experience with Lemonade was seamless, effortless (provided some pictures and quotes), and the rest is history. Thank you so much Ben ** and team. You’ve earned my business. Only concern is earthquake insurance- hopefully they provide that soon, but that doesn’t take away from this experience at all. Well done Lemonade!

Original review: March 31, 2021

Lemonade is a well rounded product/company.

1) When you're signing up, the process is simple and straightforward. Few taps on an app, and you're up and going with an HO6 insurance. Added bonus, they'll notify your mortgage of your insurance status, so you don't have to.
    2) Prices are competitive. The app makes it easy to comprehend what you are and are not getting.

3) In case of a claim, Lemonade's turnaround time is 13 days (in my case). They did everything not to hinder the repair process, while moving the claim along. And once the claim was approved, the funds were deposited within a day. Conclusion: Best insurance company I've dealt with. Easy process, no hassle!

Original review: April 7, 2021

Joshua from Lemonade has taken on our claim for an in-house water damages and needed urgent attentions for approval to move the repairs process forward.

Throughout the entire process, Joshua has demonstrated an excellent interpersonal and communicating skills to assist tremendous distressed homeowner like us with chaotic issue. The communications in this chaotic period were professional, friendly and understanding. We could not ask for more from an expert helping hands. We are highly appreciating Joshua and recommending his service to all. A five stars from us!!!

Original review: April 6, 2021

Imagine an insurance company that speaks to you in a way you are used to. Uses language you clearly get. Is collaborative and understanding. Proactive and does exactly what they say they will do. You may be thinking that this will never exist - but Lemonade are every one of these things. It’s so refreshing you may have to pinch yourself at times to know that it’s real. Thank you to Ben and team - wonderful experience and I’m officially a loyal fan for life!

Original review: April 5, 2021

Claim was processed pretty quickly, and that's right after the Great Texas Freeze of 2021. Their adjuster was quite generous, and the payout was bigger than expected. Whole process was nice and smooth. The premiums were also smaller than from the other companies.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Josh has been very supportive and communicative. Even though my claim took a turn where it didn't fall within his expertise, he continued being my agent and helped move this along as smooth as possible. I'm very satisfied with Lemonade as my homeowners insurance provider.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I recently had an incident at my home for which I made a claim. I find the entire process of getting insurance, making a claim, and interacting with the Customer Service people to be excellent quality. I cannot complain about any aspect of my time with coverage with Lemonade, even if I tried. I honestly recommend Lemonade to friends and family all the time. Best price and claims service. Very straightforward and transparent experience.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Dealing with college, a pandemic, working part-time, and volunteering the last thing I would’ve thought I would be burdened with during 2020-2021 is a Record Breaking Freeze. However, thanks to the ease of use and kind people at Lemonade I was able to find comfort in knowing that I could do everything on my own time, which honestly made the experience so much less stressful. I’m very appreciative of Morgan from Lemonade insurance for helping through the process of filing the claim. Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2021

I was so worried about calling the insurance company because (being a homeowner for 21+ years) I have had other companies that have caused me nothing but grief. Lemonade led me through with respect! Paid on time and treated me with kindness.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I absolutely love Lemonade and would recommend it to any looking for an insurance company that offer low premiums and great service. This is not a just an insurance company but a peace-of-mind insurance. Thank you Lemonade, you got yourself a returning customer.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Real insurance done right. Every interaction I've had with them has been amazing, not just the signing up phase but even when we had to make a claim. It was handled quickly and professionally while explaining my options. I recommend them to everyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Lemonade is great. It allows me to cover all my belongings through both general coverage and specialized coverage for my most cherished items. The platform is reliable and easy to use, and best of all, the price is reasonable. I haven't submitted a claim yet but if it's anything else like the rest of the platform, should be easy as a knife through butter.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Company Information