Get Started

3. Homeowners Insurance
Lemonade Homeowners Insurance

4.9/5 (152 ratings)

About Lemonade Home Insurance

Lemonade offers affordable homeowners insurance that you can purchase entirely online. It also makes dealing with claims a user-friendly process. The company donates unused portions of premiums to charities chosen by policyholders. Lemonade homeowners insurance is not available everywhere in the U.S., but it’s an inexpensive and convenient option for those who can use it.

Pros

• Quick online quotes
  • Convenient app
  • Affordable policies

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No auto insurance to bundle

Bottom Line

Lemonade homeowners insurance offers relatively cheap policies designed for the 21st century and donates leftover premium funds to charity. It’s available in 23 states plus Washington, D.C.

How does Lemonade home insurance work?

Lemonade homeowners insurance includes six types of coverages:

• Dwelling coverage for your physical house
  • Other structures coverage for things like a fence or shed
  • Personal property coverage for your belongings
  • Loss of use coverage, which covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable because of a covered event
  • Liability coverage in case you injure someone or damage someone’s property
  • Medical payments coverage to pay for medical bills if someone is hurt on your property

Lemonade also offers extra coverage for valuables like jewelry, which protects you against damage, theft or accidental loss anywhere. There is no deductible for this coverage.

You can get a fast quote for Lemonade homeowners insurance online or through the company app. You can also use the app to make claims. Lemonade pays claims directly into your bank account; its goal is to pay most claims instantly, but some payouts may take more time.

A unique feature of Lemonade is its Giveback program. The company takes a flat fee from leftover premiums each year and donates remaining funds to nonprofits selected by its customers.

Lemonade homeowners insurance cost

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance varies based on several factors, but policies generally start at $25 a month. The premium depends on where you live, the types and amounts of coverage you choose, the deductible and your insurance history.

Getting a quote online or using the Lemonade app is simple. If you have security devices in your home, such as an alarm system or smoke detectors, you might qualify for a discount. You can also save with Lemonade by bundling home insurance with Lemonade pet insurance or by paying annually.

What does Lemonade homeowners insurance cover?

Lemonade homeowners insurance covers loss of or damage to the structure of your home and belongings from risks, or “perils.” Policies cover perils including fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, theft and the weight of ice and snow.

Lemonade homeowners insurance also covers exterior structures on your property, your personal liability and medical payments in case someone gets hurt at your home. If your house is damaged by a peril and you have to move out while it’s being rebuilt or repaired, Lemonade pays for additional living expenses like hotel bills.

Policies have deductibles, coverage limits and exclusions. For example, Lemonade doesn’t cover water damage due to a flood, and it generally doesn’t cover damage from termites. If you have valuable items like jewelry, make sure to ask about its extra coverage policies, which are similar to scheduled personal property coverage.

Lemonade homeowners insurance FAQ

Will Lemonade cover items in self-storage?
Yes, Lemonade covers theft of items you have in a self-storage unit away from your home up to $1,000. In some states, the coverage is for up to 10% of your personal property coverage limit.
Does Lemonade have physical locations?
No, Lemonade is entirely digital, which makes it especially popular with millennials. The company is based in New York City.
Can I qualify for discounts from Lemonade?
Yes. You might receive a discount if you have an alarm system, a home monitoring system or smoke detectors. You may also qualify if you bundle homeowners insurance with pet insurance or if you pay for your coverage annually.
Where is Lemonade insurance available?
Lemonade homeowners insurance is currently available in 23 states, plus Washington, D.C. These include:
  • Arizona
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Does Lemonade cover accidental damage?
Lemonade doesn’t cover accidental damage to personal property in its base coverage. However, it does have policies to cover accidental damage of high-value items.

Is Lemonade home insurance good?

We recommend Lemonade homeowners insurance because of the company’s quick sign-up process, easy-to-understand policies, low prices and fast claim payouts. The Giveback program, which donates leftover premium funds to charities, is a great bonus. Lemonade homeowners insurance reviews praise the company for modernizing an important part of the homeownership experience.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 29, 2021

I am so happy with my experience with Lemonade! From the very first contact when I was purchasing my house to a broken water heater that flooded my bedroom, they have taken care of the entire thing and it was way faster than I ever thought. At first, I was concerned that because of the low monthly premium the coverage would not be the best if something happened, I was wrong. I submitted the invoice for reimbursement for the water heater damage on a Saturday, and Lemonade had direct deposited the funds by Tuesday morning. I am very impressed, I have been recommending Lemonade to my friends for months now because of the low premium, but now I will recommend to EVERYONE. They turned an unfortunate situation and turned it around for me, I never expected an insurance company to be so fast and easy with the handling of a claim. Thank you Lemonade!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2021

We had to make a claim after the big freeze that hit Texas for our home. Pipes in our garage attic had burst, damaging the ceiling of the garage and of the (adjacent) dining room. Water had gotten everywhere and we had had trouble getting the water shut off so we didn't know if we would carry some blame or if insurance would find a way to not cover fully.

I had never made a claim before but everything was super simple and easy. We made a video recording and Corey from Lemonade got back to us within a couple of days to talk through all of the steps. Immediately I felt like they were taking care of us. Communication was always great and I never felt out of the loop. It was easy for me to send emails with more information or set up a call. Lemonade coordinated the demo of our ceilings and immediately sent funds when I got a contractor estimate for the repair. Despite everything taking a couple months from start to finish due to contractor shortages after the freeze, Corey had everything under control. I am extremely grateful to Lemonade and feel like it was an extremely good decision to go with them for our homeowners policy.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had an excellent experience with Lemonade, especially with Ben, my claim representative. I had a difficult time getting a contractor to come give me an estimate for damages in my bathroom. I had issues with my HOA, The unit upstairs who caused the damage, and contractors who didn’t show up to give an estimate. The one contractor I did have gave an outrageous estimate, and he refused to give a written estimate. Ben was aware of everything going on. He allowed me to attempt to get my own estimates. I had no success. Ben stepped in and took action. He sent an adjuster to assess the damages. Once the adjuster submitted the damage estimate to Ben, I was paid within 24 hours.

Ben made me feel confident, and relieved knowing that I had a professional person who knew what they were doing. Both Ben and the adjuster were professional, knowledgeable, and comforting. I bet most people can’t say that about their insurance company! I would recommend lemonade to everyone! It is easy, especially during these unprecedented times. They are professional and they only deal with professionals. I am very happy with the service I received. Thank you Ben for coordinating my claim.

Original review: April 19, 2021

When we walked into our Condo in January 2020 and saw water everywhere and the ceiling in our baby room caved in and gushing like a fountain. Our first feeling was to panic. So many concerns went throughout mind. But then we remembered we had Condo Insurance with Lemonade. Once the dust had settled we contacted our Carrier. Corey was our representative who got on the call and with a level head told us not to worry about anything. "You need a place to stay? Done. We will pay for it. You need the your damaged items replaced? We will pay for it. You need your Rooms repaired and sprayed for mold? We will pay for it."

I can't begin to express how helpful Corey was, and how smoothly everything went. No messing about, no trying to cut costs like other carriers do leaving you in the end out of pocket thousands of dollars. And the Bonus came on 04/16/2021 when Corey emailed us long after we had forgotten about the claim telling us they had recovered our deductible and it was on its way. He even remembered to ask about our babies and how they were doing. Stellar service!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Alright, so I got my policy with Lemonade when I bought my house in July 2019, and did my first claim this month (April 2021). I feel like I can write a good honest review now. First, let's talk about setting up a policy when buying a house. This could not be simpler. Everything is online, you fill out a questionnaire about your house, say what coverage you want, and you have a quote within a few minutes. AND that quote is less than half of what you'd pay anywhere else.

Second, let's talk about making a claim. The first point had me worried, I assumed that since it was so cheap and easy to sign up, they would be super difficult to actually get a claim through, which is usually the case in 'you get what you pay for.' Fortunately, all you pay for is AMAZING, UNDERSTANDING SERVICE. No crazy hoops, no elongated processing, no battling with claim adjusters or running around for multiple estimates. Because, you pay Lemonade to actually work with you, when with anyone else, you pay for their office building. They actually do get your claim settled within hours and get you paid as fast as the bank will process it. I can not recommend Lemonade enough. Seriously, the best service I could imagine. Thank you for making my life easier when unfortunate stuff happens.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

There were heavy winds recently and we live atop a hill. The winds tore through my roof. I contacted Lemonade and submitted a claim via the app. It was just like a simple text exchange. I attached some photos and video to the in-app messaging, and that’s it! I prefer to not have to spend time talking on the telephone so this process was PERFECT for me. I highly recommend Lemonade Insurance! Simple, efficient and easy to contact.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I had the unfortunate accidental basement flood and was unsure if I wanted to file a claim as well as how the entire claim experience would be. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to go through the claim process. My claim representative (Phillip) was extremely helpful, very competent and an absolute pleasure to work with. He was very timely and responded to all of my questions in a timely manner. Only have the best wishes for him.... Thanks!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The Lemonade team was quick, responsive, thorough - and most of all convenient. My claim was complicated, obnoxious and there were a lot of moving parts. I was able to remain relatively hands off, submitted everything on the app and didn't have to wait on hold once. Great experience.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Claim was smooth and easy. Everything well good. Viviane helped throughout the process. Even though the claim took like 3 months. I guess every insurance company was busy with number of claims. So I can't blame Lemonade for that. Other than that everything else was just fine and I would absolutely recommend Lemonade as they are easy to use and also cheaper compared to other insurances.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Everything is done easily on the app and claims are paid quickly. Moreover everyone at Lemonade is so friendly. I have recommended Lemonade to everyone I know— for both homeowners and Pet insurance. Highly recommend. I wish they had health insurance for people.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Lemonade provided outstanding support throughout the claim process from start to finish. Communication was constant with very fast responses to questions. The assessment of the problem was conducted swiftly as was the payment to cover the damage. Overall great use of technology to minimize paperwork and bureaucracy. And an impressive service overall.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Clarissa's attentiveness, knowledge and professionalism made the claims experience easier to deal with. I think she is a great asset and excellent claims professional. I was skeptical initially as I have heard negative receives about Lemonade's claims and coverage. Didn't particular situation, I was proven wrong.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I made a significant claim for personal property loss. It was extremely easy to file online. Once I entered all the information that was required within a day a representative contacted me. I was happy to find a human to speak to and go over with me what would and would not be covered. It was a great experience. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my rates don't shoot up.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

My claim was handled fast and officially by very knowledgeable professionals. As I was dealing with a very emotional flood they did their best to help and held up to what was promised. I have recommended Lemonade to my friends. Thank you again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Had a water leak due to recent storms. Submitting the claim was a breeze, all through the app and within a day the Lemonade team start the approval process. After the adjuster visited, my claims were approved and my funds were received in days.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Thank you for your swift help during this disaster. I could not have asked for a better response. I filed my claim easily and received more than adequate communication through the process. Would def recommend this insurance company to friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

As a first time owner, I’ve had to deal with unexpected events that required insurance claims and Lemonade made the processes very smooth. They worked at all times in my favor to ensure that my home was restored. I’ve spoken with friends and family that are homeowners and they can’t believe that my claim process was that easy. Jeremy was my last claim expert and he was very efficient and prompt. I definitely recommend lemonade!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Scott was very professional, polite, courteous, and patient in explaining our claim approval. Although not 100% of the damage was covered by our Lemonade insurance policy, Scott broke everything down into easy to understand terms so we could determine best next steps. Thank you very much Scott for all your help in getting our claim approved!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

My claim for water damage was processed in a few hours. The whole process of filing the claim, to processing and disbursement was completed within a day. Vienna was very helpful and transparent on the process and claims. Made the whole process very seamless and efficient. I shared videos of damage at my place due to water backup and that itself was sufficient to get the claim. Highly recommend Lemonade.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Due to a malfunction of our sump pump, we had water leak into our basement requiring a full remediation. We had a water back up plan in our insurance policy and therefore it was fully covered by Lemonade. The process was very easy and quickly resolved. Customer service was easy to work with and very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

My experience with Riccardo from Lemonade was excellent from start to finish. The whole process took less than a day which was a very pleasant surprise, especially for the insurance space. They didn’t ask unnecessary questions or unnecessarily complicate the process like other experiences I have had in this space. Thank you Riccardo and Lemonade!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

My experience was amazing. The rep in charge of reviewing my claim was very friendly and thorough with the entire process. I cannot thank Ricardo enough! Would Definitely recommend Lemonade to everyone. The ease in which the claim was reported and the subsequent follow ups is nothing like I ever experienced. Great service!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

At first Lemonade denied my claim based upon my roof is too old to cover. That made me mad. Then I resubmitted my claim and my roofer actually helped me by talking to the adjuster and I was approved. I don't think I got enough from my claim but that is another issue. I also think it's ironic that extra money gets donated to charities, which is nice, but what about my roof??!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Wow, it is so refreshing to have such a positive experience. What a blessing it has been. I’d happily recommend the company to any friend. Very friendly service, easy to understand process, high tech user experience and unbelievably good coverage. Thank you, Lemonade!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I had an excellent experience, my water heater leaked and caused mold in my garage. Lemonade was quick, professional and more than willing to help with all details. There wasn’t much I needed to do. Lemonade pretty much handled everything. They called to check in constantly to ensure quality service. I would recommend them 10 out of 10.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Ben was such a great help at a very stressful time, he made the process accessible, easy to understand and friendly. Claim was processed and paid within a day of sending in all the paperwork. I was so impressed by the service and how helpful Ben was. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

John’s customer service & professionalism was excellent. Went above and beyond to ensure my damage to the property gets resolved. Walked me through the process and also dropped some good advice and recommends as well. Based on that experience I would recommend Lemonade and their service to family and friends looking for a great hoi policy.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

What drew us to Lemonade is their giveback program. We believe it is crucial that as a society we give back. We prefer to do business with companies that have a purpose to serve others and support communities. We weren't surprised when Ben and his team provided excellent service through a very stressful event in our new home. We really appreciate the empathy, communication and transparency through the entire process.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I've had homeowners insurance before, but never one that I could access easily & communicate effectively with, thru a phone app. The information is presented clean & thru my first claim experience with Lemonade, I was happy with the speed & effectiveness. To be honest, I am a disabled veteran that has trouble with real-time communication, social anxiety, & number comprehension. I hate talking on the phone, I was stressed out from a home fire, & Lemonade held my hand the entire process. Payout was quick & comprehensive, while my yearly rate is competitive. Thanks, Clarissa at Lemonade!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Our experience with Lemonade Homeowners Insurance was excellent with our hail damage claim! We had no issues getting our claim approved. The communication between Lemonade and our roofing contractor was excellent, as well. We highly recommend Lemonade for any of your insurance needs! We will continue to be Lemonade customers in the future.

Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Company Information