Best Renters Insurance in Houston, TX
Renters insurance in Houston covers medical claims from guests, damaged or stolen belongings and loss of property use during an emergency. To help you choose, we hand-picked a list of the best renters insurance companies in Houston; but remember, the best companies not only file your claim but guide you through the process.
Top 12 Houston Renters Insurance Companies
|Lemonade Renters Insurance|
Offers basic renters insurance at super-low rates. No-frills insurance means fewer features like live customer support. Zero Everything option for zero deductible. Users can file claims through a mobile app.
|A Best Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Offers renters insurance policies from a variety of carriers. Support available in English and Spanish. Flood insurance also available for homeowners and renters.
|Acceptance Insurance Houston||Read Expert Review|
Offers renters insurance for as little as $15 per month. Packages can include liability coverage, personal property coverage, reimbursed living expenses, guest medical coverage and identity restoration coverage.
|Baxter Insurance Agency, Inc.||Read Expert Review|
Partners with over 22 carriers to bring you affordable choices for renters insurance in Houston. Flood insurance is available for Houston residents who want additional protection. Call to get a free quote.
|Craig Insurance Agency||Read Expert Review|
Works with 38 carriers including Windhaven Insurance, Kemper, Progressive and Allstate. Offers renters insurance as well as flood insurance.
|Freeway Insurance Houston||Read Expert Review|
Covers damage to your home from burst pipes, burglary and theft, smoke damage, vandalism and more. Receives exclusive discounts from dozens of carriers to find consumers the best price.
|Harris County Insurance Center, LLC||Read Expert Review|
Offers renters insurance for Houston residents. Assists you in reporting a claim 24 hours a day. Hires agents that speak both English and Spanish. Customers can request a quote online.
|Kurtin Insurance & Financial Services||Read Expert Review|
Offers affordable renters and liability insurance policies from Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Finds a policy to cover as much or as little as you’d like.
|Memorial Insurance Agency||Read Expert Review|
Offers renters insurance policies from 37 different carriers, including Progressive, Metlife and Safeco Insurance. Flood insurance also available. Request a free quote online.
|Texan Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Evaluates the best renters insurance coverage options from over 40 providers. Helps you file a claim when needed. Coverage available for both renters and apartment owners. Ten dollar gift card available for referrals.
|Texas Insurance Agency||Read Expert Review|
Provides renters and general liability insurance to tenants in Houston. Sixteen locations throughout Texas for convenience. Works with 33 insurance carriers.
|Tudela Insurance Solutions||Read Expert Review|
Offers renters insurance exclusively from Allstate. Costs as little as $4 a month when bundled with auto insurance. Customers can get a free quote online.
Why do I need renters insurance in Houston?
Unfortunately, Houston neighborhoods like Greater Third Ward is ranked as the fifteenth most dangerous neighborhood in America, while others like Sunnyside came in sixth place. Houston as a whole is safer than only four percent of all U.S.cities, and almost 100,000 property crimes occur in Clutch City every year. Renters within the city can protect themselves from financial liabilities because of theft and damages in the home by taking out a renters insurance policy.
However, before you decide on a carrier, you need to remember that the best renters insurance in Houston does more than cover the monetary value of your possessions. It can, for instance, cover lawsuits and medical claims from people injured in your home. It can also include additional living expenses if natural disasters common to the area — like tornadoes and hurricanes — force you out of your residence.
It's important to note, that flood damage resulting from hurricanes and other natural disasters aren't covered in a standard policy. You must purchase this coverage separately from your insurer.
How much does renters insurance cost in Houston?
The prices for renters insurance in Houston start around $154 per year, but quotes can go up to $500 or more. The average cost of renters insurance for a 1,000 square foot apartment looking to get $25,000 - $100,000 of property and liability coverage is $323 per year.
Factors that influence your cost of rental insurance in Bayou City are:
- Deductible amounts
- Coverage selections
- Credit scores
- Type of residence
Downtown residents, for example, may pay more than those living in Aldine City because of their location within the metropolitan area.
Is renters insurance required in Houston?
Although there are no renters insurance requirements in Texas, it's still completely legal for your landlord to make a renters insurance policy a mandatory requirement. Some of the largest property management companies in Houston — like Greystar and WillMax — require renters insurance before you can lease from their properties.
Even if it’s not required, we recommend you buy renters insurance. For as little as $13 a month, you’ll be financially and legally protected in an accident that could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. We think it's worth the small cost to protect yourself and your belongings.
Renters rights in Houston
Houston residents looking for more information on renters insurance or renters rights should look into the following resources:
- Houston Apartment Association: A local organization in Houston that can answer questions about your rights as a renter or help you file a complaint. They also provide a list of organizations that might be able to help with housing needs and household expenses.
- Lone Star Legal Aid: A Houston-based tenant organization that provides free legal representation, advocacy and community education to low-income families.
- TexasLawHelp.org: Provides free legal information and forms for Texas residents. You’ll find reliable information for house and apartment issues, protections from violence or abuse, money and debt, and much more. See their Legal Help Finder or Legal Clinic Calendar for free or low-cost legal assistance near you.
Houston renters insurance company information
As a full-service, family-owned-and-operated insurance company, Texan Insurance dedicates itself to helping Houstonians minimize their liabilities through a variety of offerings. With over 40 carriers and 85 types of insurance policies, Texan Insurance agents help you evaluate your options. The company donates $10 to St. Jude Children’s Hospital with every referral, while also giving you a $10 gift card.
- Website: texaninsurance.com/product/renters-insurance
- Address: 6161 Savoy Dr., Ste. 960, Houston, Texas 77036
- Phone number: (281) 998-2500
- Hours of operation: M - F: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Freeway Insurance is one of the largest, privately-held insurance brokers in America. Because of their business volume, they can work with the finest renters insurance carriers in the industry and offer you the best coverage for a steal. Bilingual representatives in English and Spanish are ready to help you find the perfect coverage, whether you prefer to do so in person or over the phone..
- Website: freewayinsurance.com/office-locator/freeway-insurance-houston-tx-77076
- Address: 5620 N. Freeway, Houston, TX, 77076
- Phone number: (713) 364-0133
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 8pm; Sat: 9am - 7pm; Sun: 9am - 6pm
A Best Insurance works with a variety of carriers so that customers can choose the best renters insurance quotes. A Best has multiple insurance products to choose from, so you’ll never have to look anywhere else for your insurance needs. Renters who want flood insurance to supplement their renters insurance can find it here. They also have access to many A-rated carriers and have bilingual staff available for both English and Spanish speakers. A Best Insurance’s website is available in Spanish.
- Website: a-bestinsurance.com/houston_texas_renters_insurance/default.aspx
- Address: 7731 Long Point Rd., Ste. 1, Houston, TX 77055
- Phone number: (713) 681-1967
- Hours of operation: Call for hours
With Kurtin Insurance & Financial Services, your home and possessions are protected by individualized coverage options designed to meet your needs. If you decide to go from renter to homebuyer, the company's homeowners liability insurance also protects you from people who sue you because of an injury obtained while on your property. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company provides all of Kurtin's insurance products.
- Website: kurtinagency.com
- Address: 2586 Fondren Rd., Houston, TX 77063
- Phone number: (713) 352-0022
- Hours of operation: M - Th: 8:30am - 5:30pm; Fri: 8:30am - 5pm; Sat: By Appointment
Memorial Insurance Agency covers expenses for personal property loss and liability, loss of use of the property and medical payments when you sign up for their renters insurance. They partner with 37 leading insurance carriers like Chubb, Progressive, Metlife and Safeco Insurance to bring you top coverage at the best value. Flood insurance is available for renters who’d like additional protection for their belongings.
- Website: memorial-insurance.com
- Address: 13624 Memorial Dr., Houston, TX 77079
- Phone number: (713) 461-8272
- Hours of operation: M - F: 8:30am - 5:00pm
An established company with 16 locations in Texas, Texas Insurance Agency is a popular go-to among Houston residents. They’ll help you find the best renters insurance in Houston by analyzing their 33 insurance providers. Customers can file a claim directly through Texas Insurance Agency. They cater to people who don’t have licenses and to young drivers.
- Website: gettia.com
- Address: 719 Shotwell St., Houston, TX 77026: multiple locations
- Phone number: (713) 921-8000
- Hours of operation: Call for hours
A local Allstate Agency, Tudela Insurance Solutions offers numerous types of insurance coverage for Texas renters. Renters who purchase other policies with the company enjoy additional savings. For instance, when bundled with auto insurance, renters can pay as little as $4 a month for renters insurance. Agents at Tudela Insurance Solutions or Allstate’s phone support specialists help customers file a claim.
- Website: agents.allstate.com/tudela-insurance-solutions-houston-tx
- Address: 4108 Bellaire Blvd., Houston, TX 77025
- Phone number: (713) 714-4475
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: By Appointment
In addition to other products, Acceptance Insurance offers renters insurance for as little as $15 a month. Diana Duenes, the expert insurance agent at the Houston office, helps you choose the right renters insurance package. It may include liability coverage, personal property coverage, scheduled personal property, reimbursed living expenses, guest medical coverage and identity restoration coverage.
- Website: locations.acceptanceinsurance.com/tx/houston/8130-kirby
- Address: 8130 Kirby, Houston, TX 77054: multiple locations
- Phone number: (713) 395-8332
- Hours of operation: M - F: 10am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm
Baxter Insurance Agency searches 22 insurance carriers to bring you the renters insurance coverage you want at an affordable rate. Their customer service agents listen to your needs and work with you to create a custom, comprehensive insurance plan for thorough coverage. Clients can choose between several renters insurance options.
- Website: baxter-agency.com
- Address: 450 N. Sam Houston Parkway East, Ste. 103, Houston, TX 77060
- Phone number: (281) 445-1381
- Hours of operation: M - Th: 9am - 5pm; Fri: 9am - 4:30pm
As an independent insurance agency, Craig Insurance Agency’s selection of carriers is based on reputation, reliability and service. They work with providers such as Allstate, Progressive, Kemper and more. They offer a full range of insurance solutions for your family and business, and their dedicated team of experts can help select renters insurance coverage within your budget that still checks off your wishlist.
- Website: craiginsuranceagency.com/personal-insurance/renters-insurance
- Address: 1020 Bay Area Blvd., Suite 100 Houston, TX 77058
- Phone number: (281) 488-2733
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 5pm
With 5 offices in the Houston area, Harris County Insurance is proud to have served Texans for over 40 years. Harris County Insurance works with a variety of insurance carriers to find the best renters insurance coverage at a competitive price. For your convenience, customers can report claims 24/7 and request quotes online. Spanish-speaking representatives are available.
- Website: harriscountyinsurance.com/renters.php
- Address: 4221 Telephone Rd., Houston, TX 77087
- Phone number: (832) 500-3666
- Hours of operation: Call for hours