4.8/5 (1360 ratings)

About Lemonade Renters Insurance

Lemonade is an online insurance provider offering many types of policies, including renters insurance. Lemonade renters insurance covers your personal belongings, protects you from liability claims and pays for alternative living arrangements if your home becomes uninhabitable. Plans are available in 28 states and Washington, D.C., and start as low as $5 per month. You can get coverage in minutes, and claims are simple and fast on the Lemonade app.

Pros

• Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • Auto bundling only available in select states

Bottom Line

Lemonade renters insurance offers flexible coverage options and affordable rates. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds — and other necessary expenses. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform, with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes as little as seconds to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most commonly covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased in some states for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy, and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage and deductible you choose, and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, but you should elect for more coverage if the value of your possessions is greater. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible — it can go as high as $2,500 — your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add additional coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which adds a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or coverage for water backup costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.

How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?

Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.

What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?

Discounts are available for Lemonade customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices, or pay their premium for the full year. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.

Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?

As of publishing Lemonade offers car insurance in Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee and Texas, so customers in these states can bundle renters insurance with auto insurance for a discount.

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?

As of January 2023, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:

• Virginia
  • Washington
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters insurance. We recommend it because of its transparency, adjustable coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance in most states, the company makes up for it with other discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims is straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

On Friday, August 26, 2022, while traveling from Chicago to Michigan for a family wedding, my vehicle was broken into while parked in a relatively busy parking lot in SE Michigan. The thief broke into my car’s back window and ransacked all of my personal belongings inside — including my work backpack (laptop/portable monitor/other electronics) as well as my travel carryon suitcase (expensive clothing / dress cloths / etc.).

On August 27, 2022, I reported the incident to Lemonade. The individual handling my claim, Kaleb, was far from what you would expect from an insurance customer service representative, charged with handling insurance claims. He was kind. He was caring. He was prompt with his responses. He was specific and clear about what he needed from my end. He never made things difficult. He understood I was going through a lot and made my life that much easier by holding up Lemonade’s promise to support me when times like this unfortunately roll around. On September 7, 2022, only 8-days after my original incident report with Lemonade, my claim was approved by Kaleb and team. On September 8, 2022, only 1-day after Lemonade approved my insurance claim, I received 100% of my claim amount (less than my $500 deductible, of course).

Lemonade has earned my respect as an insurance company. Kaleb has earned my respect as a professional and a kind person. And I have personally committed to working with Lemonade (and Kaleb, though I do hope I never need to make a claim again) for the foreseeable future. Thank you to the entire team. I will most definitely be recommending you guys to friends, family, and strangers should the topic come up in conversation.

Best Regards,

Jousef **

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I was sitting in my easy chair, texting my family and friends, letting them know that I had just found out I officially graduated. I called my mom to tell her the news, I had a strange feeling that something was wrong. I charged it to the fact that I had just got up from a nap about 10 or 15 minutes prior. I couldn't have been more wrong. I told my mom that I smelled barbecue, so I went outside and saw a little bit of smoke, and thought it was weird to be barbecuing on such a windy night. I came back inside, and sniffed the air again, and then I told my mom this isn't barbecue, something is on fire! I went outside again, and that little bit of smoke turned into a nice size cloud of smoke. In a panic, I grabbed what I could, which wasn't much, and headed towards the door.

I looked over at my Bible that was sitting in front of my window, and went to grab it, when something said no, leave it. Not understanding why, but not having time to question it either, I ran out of the door. This nice size cloud of smoke, literally started to look like a scene from a marvel movie. Barely able to breathe, I hastily walked towards my car. I drove around, and found a safe distance to watch almost everything I owned, go up in flames. When I finally realized that I wasn't going back home that night. I found me a motel room.

I completed my claim online that night, because I knew I had to file it as soon as possible, I am glad that I did, because recording my video detailing what happened, was very therapeutic for me. I received a call from Morgan, the next day. I told her what happened, surprisingly, she had been through the same thing. So, she could truly relate to how I felt at that moment. That was comforting for me. She handled my claim with such great care, and professionalism while being personable at the same time. I lacked nothing, Lemonade took care of me while I was going through one of the worst moments of my life. I didn't feel victimized, nor did they take anytime getting me the funds I needed, for my room, food, clothes, etc. I would highly recommend Lemonade renter's insurance, Morgan in particular. I never kept renter's insurance past a month, the first time I did, I experienced a fire.

I am glad that Lemonade was there for me, when I needed them most. Oh yeah, remember my Bible that I left in front of the window? I have it, and I still read it to this day. Needless to say, everything around it was damaged, but it sustained none, just like me, and the over 60 people that were impacted by this 3 alarm fire, requiring over 120 fire fighters. I am proud of my community, we came together in true Houston fashion.

Original review: June 21, 2022

I don’t know where to begin about my experience. Still traumatized about my event, I try my best to remain vigilant and not to become a victim in basically one of the highest rated areas for such events. My experience with Lemonade was helpful, mainly because I didn’t have to verbally talk about it extensively and relive the moments. This company clearly recognizes the direction the world is going, (technology). I don’t think I’ve used something so simple and easy. For some reason the police department never reached back out with a finalized police report. After 2 days of waiting my claims person reached out and told me he’d look into it. I don’t think it was even a day later and I was notified that my claim was approved.

No one should never be burglarized, as we work very hard for our money. The day was totally ruined as all of my gifts were taken. I was reimbursed but here I am a few weeks later not feeling a tad bit better. I appreciate Lemonade, and I guess also my apartment complex for forcing renters insurance on us. I surely only have it as it’s a requirement. I’m talking in circles, but I feel better knowing that I’ve referred Lemonade to my friends when they moved to their apartments. I hope they’re never victimized like me but we all live in close proximity of each other and unfortunately our city is known for such crimes nationwide at this point. Don’t sleep on it, and don’t overthink renters insurance. I’ll forever be a loyal customer to Lemonade Insurance, and I appreciate their friendly staff and app.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I've never filed a claim before, and recently found myself in a situation where I needed to. I didn't know exactly what I was doing, or how it would end up. Lemonade was there for me when no one else was and throughout the process, until I got into a new place. And, actually, even after that. I honestly don't know what I would have done without the support of Lemonade, and, especially Brett, who helped in every step along the way. It's true what they say- Lemonade is NOT like other insurance companies and I will never switch to another insurance. They came through for me, and they forever have my loyalty for that. And I will continue to tell everyone I know that for a very low monthly rate, they are buying more than insurance- but also, peace of mind.

I heard many horror stories of other people's experiences in filing claims with their insurance companies. .. I was told not to expect a whole lot and that I would have to jump through hoops to be approved. None of that was true in my experience and the people who know what I've been through have been quite surprised to see an insurance company who is actually on my side and follows through on all they claim to be. 5 STARS, ALL THE WAY. THANK YOU LEMONADE, FOR COMING THROUGH FOR ME WHEN I NEEDED YOU IN A BIG WAY. I don't know how I would have gotten through it, without your support.

Original review: March 3, 2022

At the end of January 2022, one of the exterior walls of my apartment building collapsed suddenly. This wall was directly behind my apartment and the collapse also damaged the wall that was against the side of my apartment. The collapse ripped all the power meters off the wall causing the entire building to lose power! Luckily, no one was injured. I immediately called Lemonade to ask what my options were. The app didn't have an option for this type of claim, however, the agents I spoke with on the phone were extremely sympathetic, took the matter seriously, and immediately got to work on helping me figure out what my policy would and would not cover.

While they had their team look over my policy coverage, they even sent me a small advance to help pay for a hotel room as I could not stay in my apartment for safety reasons. My situation became even more complicated when it began raining for two days straight and then temperatures in Houston dropped below freezing for several days. As my apartment had no power for heating or lights, it complicated the move a lot and required the use of two different moving services on different days to accommodate for the weather. Of course, a week without power meant every item in my refrigerator and freezer was ruined as well!

Moving to my new apartment took longer than expected, then I got caught up in work and trying to manage all the details of a sudden move, so getting all the receipts and info to Lemonade was taking even longer. Through it all, every agent who helped with my case was exemplary in their kindness, compassion, and willingness to help. The reminders to send the receipts that I was emailed regularly helped me remember to get it all done and without them, I would have probably completely forgotten to do it! The day I was finally able to get all the information they requested together and send it, I received a response with my claim approval within just a few hours! The only part of the whole process that was slow was ME!

This was not the first claim I have had to make with Lemonade and each and every time it has been incredibly easy, efficient, and FAST! Truly a delight to work with and I can't tell you how much I appreciated how simple they made the process for me. I would highly recommend Lemonade to anyone looking for renters insurance! (They have other services that they offer as well. However, I have not had the opportunity to use them yet.)

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

My neighbor has a bad fire and my apartment got smoke damage badly. the Lemonade phone people were very helpful! Thank you to Russ **. I received a small reimbursement for some of the damage but it took over one year plus to get a check. I would like to reactive my apartment insurance as before for one year. Thank you. Please call me at **.

Kecia

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

Experiencing a flood is an awful experience. It was a huge relief when I heard from my claims rep. She was so kind and worked to resolve my claim quickly. Totally different from what my neighbor is going through with another company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Prompt, quick, courtesy and professional. I love Lemonade and how they cared and got this taken care of being I was displaced from my home. If you have and questions to have Lemonade for your insurance provided don’t hesitate. Have a great day.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Even though I told them and had the backup to prove this was a frivolous, fraudulent claim, Lemonade stupidly just settled it. Now I can not get homeowners insurance. The agent that handled was inexperienced and certainly not sharp. I am and I believe in not just accepting claims when the backup that I offered would have without one doubt proven this lawyers claim to be false.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I purchased a $90 renters insurance policy from Lemonade November 2021 because a policy was required for the property rental. My assumption at the time was that this would cover any damage done to the property.

I am a cycling enthusiast. I've been building high end custom Mountain Bikes for many years. In September 2022 I had just completed a 6 month custom Yeti ARC build; an $8k build. This bike and another I had just built were stolen from my garage. This was a seemingly premeditated burglary based on the surveilance. I anticipated a total loss but, I did call Lemonade to see if my policy covered personal property and to my surprise IT DID! The matter was resolved and I was paid in full for my loss. The customer service demonstrated empathy for a 6 month build that was taken, provided reassurance, and followed through. I am taking the time to shred these keystrokes because Lemonade and the agent I worked with was the best customer service experience likely in my experience. I am grateful. As a note, ensure full documentation on all assets - this is key.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information