2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.90/5

Lemonade Insurance company is transforming the typical insurance model with transparency and instant technology. Their monthly affordable fixed flat rate means you get your claims paid faster. They offer an add-on for extra coverage with no deductible covering damage and theft, worldwide. Renters Insurance monthly fee as low as $5. It only takes 90 seconds to get insured - check their prices and get insured today!

BOTTOM LINE

Lemonade Renters Insurance offers affordable rates with flexible coverage options. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

PROS
  • Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available
  • Giveback Program
CONS
  • Not available in every state
  • No bundling with auto
Lemonade Renters Insurance Get a Quote

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes minutes to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most common covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage you choose, the deductible you can afford and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, even with maximum payouts for electronics, liability, loss of use and guest medical coverage. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible, as much as $2,500, your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay much more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which would add a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or extra water back-up coverage costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?
Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.
How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?
Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.
What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts are available for Lemonade Renters Insurance customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.
Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?
Unfortunately, Lemonade does not offer car insurance, so customers cannot bundle renters insurance with auto for a discount.
What is Lemonade’s Zero Everything policy?
Lemonade is working on expanding its Zero Everything policy. This policy allows customers to get renters insurance coverage with zero deductibles and no price increase after filing a claim.
Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?
As of September 2019, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Yes, Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters and homeowners insurance. We recommend it because of its transparent payment system, flexible coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance, the company makes up for it with other optional discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims are straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: April 7, 2021

Signing up and the rates were incredibly easy.... But that's to be expected. There was a fire and I lost everything including my place to live during a pandemic. Thank goodness for Lemonade! That same day I filled my claim I was put up in a hotel and received $500 for necessities. No Other Insurance Company In The World Could Start Paying a Claim On Same Day. Then a few weeks later I received my property claim which was paid to the full value. I spent the next 5 months staying in hotels and Lemonade always paid up to the full amount of policy. MOST IMPORTANTLY IS THE AGENT here name is ASHLEY and she was Amazing. She made the whole ordeals much easier for me and was always available to answer questions. If all the corporations could learn from Lemonade life would be a lot less stressful.

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2021

The other morning we had a gentleman enter our garage and steal my husband's road bike. While any loss is such a bummer this was exceptionally painful. My husband took up cycling shortly after the pandemic began as a way to get exercise. He had put a lot of money into his bike and rode nearly every day. It has kept him healthy both physically and mentally, so it was an extra big bummer to have it stolen.

Deon was extremely helpful and quick. We filed a claim and provided all of the necessary information. Within a couple of days we had a resolution. I haven't ever had to file a claim before but you often hear that claims drag out and it's a bit of a battle. My experience was nothing like that. It was easy! I appreciate the ease and great service and my husband will be happy to get back to riding again sooner rather than later!

Original review: April 5, 2021

During the Texas Winter storm I suffered damages to my apt where I didn't have a kitchen for over a month, more damages kept happening but I always kept in touch with my Rep Tamika. She was so understanding and caring, just to have someone listen to all the issues I was dealing with and still dealing with today with my apartments. The whole Lemonade Team was there for me and my daughter during this stressing events. Without them understanding and caring and helping us we could have not made it thru without all of you guys!! I have recommended family and friends to this company and I will keep using them in the future. You guys are amazing and so grateful for everything you have done. God bless all of you!!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Tamika was my Lemonade claims agent. He went above and beyond. We suffered damage to our home due to the Texas winter storm. I’m so glad I decided to get renters insurance with lemonade. They made the claim process super easy. I never encountered an issue with any customer service rep. Tamika always replied to my calls and emails promptly. Their system is a breeze. They stayed up to date with all the information I sent in. I was truly blessed to have them as my renters insurance. They made a very stressful time feel like a breeze. The compensated us quickly and did what they said they’d do and more. Lemonade is a life saver. The saying when life gives you lemons make lemonade definitely resonates with this company. I’ll definitely be recommending them to family and friends.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I am very happy and Glad that I have a Lemonade as my rental insurance. When I got my Laptop stolen on 01/22/21 earlier morning from the stranger that I invited to my place for more drinks! Until the thief started acting so weird to me, so I have to ask the thief to leave and escort it out of my building and when I returned to my room and I notice that my laptop is missing. I make contact with my Lemonade rental insurance right away and they told me I have to go to police station and report it. So, the person that handle my claim is Jonathan, he is very professional, helpful, and guide me what I need to submit for the claim. More evidence and police Reports and documents are better. It is take some time for my claim to get settled and many thanks and very appreciated that Jonathan able to get my claim approved!???

Original review: April 14, 2021

This is the greatest $22 a month I have ever paid. Never thought about it until I needed them. I put in a claim and the response was fast, responded to all my email promptly. Friendly, understanding with all my needs. Will recommend them to everyone.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Shad was very helpful throughout the process. He explained everything and he also made follow up emails to check with us. When I sent all my documents for review, it literally took less than an hour for my claim to approve. Thank you. Very easy and quick process.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I recommend Lemonade because it is easy to make a claim, in addition to being simple, the staff who attended me was always very friendly and respectful, I appreciate your fine attention, thank you very much. I wish you a great day.

Original review: April 14, 2021

The claim reimbursement experience was so smooth and hassle free. The details were given specific to what all needs to be submitted for claim. The patience in handling the claim helped. The response from claim advisors were quick and helped to sort out the claim much faster than I expected.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I had a break in and theft from house. I submitted my claim and heard from Lemonade within an hour asking for additional information. They quickly worked with me to get all the right information for my claim and within 2 days from first submitting my claim I was approved and had a transfer initiated to make me whole. Amazing insurance experience that made a better end to a terrible event.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Deb was really an amazing agent, she was very kind and super approachable, she made the whole process and situation less stressful and easy to understand, she always had an kind and sincere tone of voice, it was so easy to talk to and ask questions, I feel she made this whole process much less stressful and worry free, she always seemed happy to help and talk, I felt like she was truly always ready and willing to help and talk to me in a very upbeat and happy way! Thank you so much!

Original review: April 14, 2021

I started with Lemonade 3 years ago, considering they were new in the marketplace, but with excellent reviews and affordable rates (the best actually). Fortunately, I didn't need their help until this winter, when the snow came to Houston and damaged multiple properties like the house I'm renting. My family suffered multiple loss in our belongings and I was impressed how Lemonade handled my claim. They asked us for help in lodging and food if needed, but also covered all our losses without any inconvenience. Aja, the customer service representative was awesome helping me out with the process to the end. Thank you guys, you rock!

Original review: April 13, 2021

I cannot express how wonderful Lemonade was during an extremely upsetting and emotional time as I dealt with the aftermath of a flooded apartment due to a burst pipe from a winter storm. Brittany was beyond understanding, supportive, helpful, and compassionate, and the claims process was extremely efficient and user friendly. I am so grateful for the entire Lemonade team (especially Brittany)!!!

Original review: April 13, 2021

I love Lemonade, my insurance company. From the get go, their app is very easy to use, the fees are low, and filing a claim cannot be simpler. When dealing with a claim all the questions they ask are very reasonable. I have never felt they are trying to deny me anything. I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for an insurance company.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I’d reported my first claim yesterday morning, the next day it had been resolved and I was reimbursed for the damage! Literally, the next day. It only took a couple of seconds to report the claim and everyone was done through the app, no multiple calls with multiple agents nor did they give me the “run around”.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Consider yourself extremely Lucky If Kailey is handling your claim, very attentive, took great care of my family and me in these challenging times. She always kept me posted via emails and calls to let me know what's happening in my claim and updates regarding the claim. Kailey solved my claim quickly, and I cannot thank her enough for our claim's assistance and time. Thanks again, Kailey.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Customer service was phenomenon, fast, easy, convenient. Sarah was there to help every part of the way. Definitely glad I have renters insurance with Lemonade. I have never had to file a claim with insurance company ever really so this is my first time but definitely satisfied with the outcome and experience.

Original review: April 12, 2021

We claimed for loss of us from water damage in our bedroom which took 30 days. Our claim advocate, Alexis, did excellent job with prompt response, review and handling, and support through the time. She managed the claim smooth and provided support timely. Definitely satisfied and would recommend.

Original review: April 12, 2021

It was Easy & Simple to sign up with, everything was easy peasy! You can adjust easily what you want to change thru the app and speak to someone by calling the number if you can’t understand the app, which I promise you is a walk in the park! I had an unfortunate situation happen and LEMONADE TOOK CARE OF ME & MY SITUATION!!!

Original review: April 12, 2021

Loved how easy the claims process was with Lemonade. My car was broken into and my bag, which had my iPad and AirPods as well as items of sentimental value, was stolen. Lemonade approved my claim within seconds, and I've already received the funds (the theft happened two days ago, on a Saturday). It was such a relief to have this handled so quickly after what was a really frustrating experience. Amazing service, highly recommend!

Original review: April 12, 2021

The Aftermath of the winter storm that hit Texas is when Lemonade Renters Insurance became my Super Heroes. Filing my initial claim was SUPER easy, adding to the claim (as more damage was found) was just as easy, them putting me up in a nearby hotel was the best. The adjuster kept in touch with me and kept me in the loop with everything. I HIGHLY recommend Lemonade... Easy as 1-2-3!

Original review: April 12, 2021

The experience I had with Lemonade insurance was wonderful. They made sure they meet every need and concerns you have. The response team is excellence. I'm happy and very satisfy with them. They put me and my boys in a hotel room. Made sure we ate.

Original review: April 12, 2021

The process of filing a claim was so simple and easy. Dealing with insurance can be a total nightmare sometimes but this was not the case with Lemonade. I have already told all my friends and encouraged them to switch from their current insurance plans if they have not done so already.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Wow! I can’t believe I got the amount back that I did, especially given the theft happened outside of the home. Uploading all of my info was super straightforward and my claim was approved in less than 6 seconds (?!) - I literally screenshotted how quick this took and sent it to all of friends and family to make sure they were seeing this too. I couldn’t recommend Lemonade & your customer service enough! It made a horrible situation feel a lot better.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I really got educated and walked through the necessary steps on doing a claim. Although I was frustrated with the process Zach was very understanding and helped me throughout the whole process. Being this is my first and hope last time doing a claim Lemonade was very easy to understand and doesn't take forever on resolving the situation.

Original review: April 12, 2021

The Lemonade Claim reps were extremely helpful, especially Emily ** and Meghan. They were prompt in communicating and acting on my behalf. Our situation was unusual but they worked with us week by week. I really appreciate all of their help.

Original review: April 12, 2021

My experience with Kailey from Lemonade was great. She was on top of everything and made sure I provided everything needed to process my claim. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend. Even tho my landlord took time to provide what was needed, Kailey was very patient and I appreciate that.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I was down to my lowest thinking of where to start from when my Apartment was engulfed in flame.. I made a phone call to Lemonade and it pretty much gave me a NEW beginning. The experience with Vienna was absolutely exceptional. I got immediate assistance with temporary accommodation. I was kept abreast of the claim progress. And I received the claim in no time. It was a WOW experience for me and I strongly recommend to anyone and everyone considering home rental insurance.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Our apartment flooded on February 2021 during the Texas winter storms. A few days later lemonade sent $250 to every customer who was affected by the storm. I’m sure they had millions of claims from the storm which caused a little delay. We were able to handle our claim through the app and email. Once they were finally able to get back to us everything went smoothly. They responded to every question and they explained everything to us. They also sent all payments through direct deposit. I am very satisfied with the whole process. I have always recommended Lemonade to anyone who asks and will continue doing so.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I was very happy with the claims process. All the email replies were very prompt and that really helped to resolve & settle the claim. I was able to send attachments via the app as well as the email which was very helpful. I am happy that I chose Lemonade and will be a customer always.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information