Get a Quote

2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

4.9/5 (581 ratings)

About Lemonade Renters Insurance

Lemonade Insurance company is transforming the typical insurance model with transparency and instant technology. Their monthly affordable fixed flat rate means you get your claims paid faster. They offer an add-on for extra coverage with no deductible covering damage and theft, worldwide. Renters Insurance monthly fee as low as $5. It only takes 90 seconds to get insured - check their prices and get insured today!

Pros

• Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available
  • Giveback Program

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No bundling with auto

Bottom Line

Lemonade Renters Insurance offers affordable rates with flexible coverage options. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes minutes to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most common covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage you choose, the deductible you can afford and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, even with maximum payouts for electronics, liability, loss of use and guest medical coverage. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible, as much as $2,500, your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay much more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which would add a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or extra water back-up coverage costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?
Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.
How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?
Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.
What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts are available for Lemonade Renters Insurance customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.
Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?
Unfortunately, Lemonade does not offer car insurance, so customers cannot bundle renters insurance with auto for a discount.
What is Lemonade’s Zero Everything policy?
Lemonade is working on expanding its Zero Everything policy. This policy allows customers to get renters insurance coverage with zero deductibles and no price increase after filing a claim.
Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?
As of September 2019, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Yes, Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters and homeowners insurance. We recommend it because of its transparent payment system, flexible coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance, the company makes up for it with other optional discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims are straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I really like how simple the setup process was, and it seemed really easy to add other coverage too. Great clarity about what is and isn't covered, conveyed in an easy-to-understand way. Lemonade's $10 a month price seems convenient as well (though to be honest I have not looked at/experienced any other renter's insurance offers so I have no idea how this price or service compares), and it just felt like adding another subscription like Spotify or something.

I also got to experience the claims process, since I was in the unfortunate situation of having had some property stolen the week before I moved out. Having never gone through a process like that before, I was nervous about getting it right, how long would it take, would anything come of it. So I was very glad that the process was pretty painless—uploaded a video describing what had happened as well as including some documents, and my claims agent was extremely friendly and helpful in answering my questions and getting everything sorted out! Really, the worst part was getting a copy of a police report to file the claim, which had nothing at all to do with Lemonade and everything to do with my city police department having (presumably) more important stuff to attend to. I say Lemonade is an easy five stars, and I'd definitely still be using their service if my current place of residence would let me. :)

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I chose Lemonade for my renters insurance mostly because they were a really cheap and accessible option (since everything is done on an app). I honestly figure I'd never use it. But, when my bike was stolen from my apartment complex's parking garage, their customer service and ease of filing a claim really blew me away. The claim filing process was pretty straightforward-I just had to fill out a quick online form, send them some info about what was stolen, some documentation that I filed a police report (which in my case was literally just a screenshot of the report), and any photos I had of my bike.

I only claimed the pre-tax cost of my bike and accessories because I thought that's all I would be able to get, but they went ahead and approved the full cost of my bike, lock, and handlebar bag, including tax! (Minus the deductible, of course.) It wasn't a whole lot of extra money, but I really appreciated that they did that without me even asking. Lastly, the service agent was really responsive and helpful in getting everything sorted. Within a week of my bike being stolen, my claim was approved and a few days later the money hit my account. It was a surprisingly painless experience, and I was really pleasantly surprised. The quality of service is right up there with the huge national brands, but way cheaper and really user friendly. 10/10 recommend.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Adam, my insurance representative and the entire team at Lemonade have been beyond helpful in allowing my wife, my baby son, and I to get through this flood in the best way possible. The flood was brutal. It lasted from 11PM to 7AM the next morning and NO ONE from my building at **, ran by Carlyle Property Management lifted a finger to help. No one helped while the apartment was flooding for Carlyle, no one has helped since the water has abated, and it is now over two weeks later.

But Lemonade was a whole different story. They saved us. They helped find us lodging, they’re helping us with damages, they will help us with the moving costs. Every time I picked up the phone to talk to them, I’d get through to someone, and more often than not I was able to speak directly to my representative with any questions or concerns I had. It was a breath of fresh air after attempting to deal with Carlyle Property Management over the past year and a half. I cannot thank the team at Lemonade enough for helping my family and I make the absolute best out of an extremely difficult situation. Going forward I am going to do my absolute best to get friends and family to switch to Lemonade Insurance if they’re using anyone else because the help I received from Lemonade is unparalleled.

Original review: June 20, 2021

After a water pipe burst in my residential building, my apartment (along with several others,) was unfortunately impacted by the burst. Several inches of water had poured into l my apartment creating massive damage to my furniture, electronics, clothes, luxury goods and several home decor items. To say I was distraught was an understatement. I contacted Lemonade to inform them what took place and before 24 hours I was assigned a claim agent. From there the journey began to restore my apartment and Lemonade was with me every step of the way. Thankful, the extensive policy I had selected under Lemonade covered these unexpected crises and I was relieved. The agent Adam that I was assigned was also very kind, gracious and patient throughout this rollercoaster experience.

There were many days I cried from stress and anxiety but Adam remained calm, helping me gather all the documents needed for my claim and identify a local contractor to restore my apartment. After months, things are finally back in order and I am so grateful to Adam for his diligence, direction and commitment to restoring my apartment. Through Lemonade, I was able to re-purchase the items that were damaged and give new life to my apartment. I wouldn’t wish a water pipe bursting on anyone in the world, but if it does happen, Lemonade is THE best insurance company to call.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Zach was very patient and kind while helping me with my claim. He was on top of things but unfortunately he was at the mercy of someone else on my end to provide some additional information that he need. And unfortunately I had a lot of stuff going on and was a tad bit crabby to Zach. He was so amazingly professional as he could sense that I was stressed about the damage as well as other things going on in my world. So he didn't passively wait for what he needed, he did whatever he did to get it ASAP and I was pretty impressed. Then he had to wait on me a bit but once I submitted everything to him he literally started working on my claim immediately. He was clear with his explanations and answers to my questions. He responded to me immediately when I needed something which he did from the very beginning. He told me he would have it done by the end of the week and this was on a Monday so I was expecting by Friday.

I got an email on Thursday from him that the claim was approved and that the money should probably hit my bank in 3-5 days. The money hit my bank account the same day. I don't know how but I almost fell out of my chair. Lemonade is who they say they are and they do what they say they are going to do. No gimmicks, no scams, no games to try to not pay fair claims. It was extremely easy. The only difficulty was me being crabby. Thank you Zach so much for your professionalism. You deserve a raise!!

Original review: July 26, 2021

When my apartment flooded I was not sure what to expect with two young children. I had no idea what I was going to do how long the process of a claim would take. I contacted Lemonade and was connected to a rep who was extremely nice and understanding. She informed me about what would happen next and not to worry about a thing. From there the process was so quick and easy I could hardly believe it. I was informed every step of the process and had any questions I had answered in a very timely manner. I would highly recommend this company to any and everyone.

Original review: July 26, 2021

DeAndre helped with my claim. He made the process smooth, easy and efficient. He contacted me less than 24 hours when I submitted my claim. He kept in contact throughout the whole process. I highly recommend Lemonade Insurance. Best customer service hands down!

Original review: July 26, 2021

My car was recently stolen, along with a lot of other items including my son's car seat. My other car was a company one, and after I got laid off I had to return it. I transferred the contents of the company car to my personal car, and then it got stolen. I texted Lemonade on their app, provided everything I needed to on my end to prove ownership of the items, and the record of my loss. It was all done so fast and the texting capability was so much faster and easier to deal with than having to be on the phone while my child acts up in the background. This was one of the few positive experiences in the last month, and I'm truly thankful for it.

Original review: July 26, 2021

When my music equipment and other personal belongings were stolen out of my car, Lemonade covered the majority of the cost of what was taken. Thanks to my renters insurance policy I was able to start replacing my gear. Jonathan was very helpful.

Original review: July 26, 2021

When calling takes days to respond, did not make everything clear what was to take place after explaining situation. Very impersonate. This whole experience was a nightmare put me as a customer in a very bad position. I would not promote company to anyone.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Shad was absolutely amazing! He provided very detailed instructions and next steps to help with the damage. The process was quick and very painless with expectations were set properly on when I would receive my funds. I will highly recommend to friends and family!

Original review: July 26, 2021

This was by far one of the worst experience of my life. I lost everything I valued and owned in 2 weeks. My items wasn’t replaced. I been suffering from headaches and anxiety ever since. I’m emotionally depressed behind. I was told it was ok to throw my things out so I have nothing to clean. I think I should’ve been told not to throw the things out because you guys was only cleaning them. The inspector helped me threw some of the things out. I think that was perfect time to tell me that my things won't be replaced. They're only being cleaned so now I have nothing and waiting on my lawyer to get his things in order so he can reach out. I will never ever use the service again. I was robbed out of all my valuable things. Small business down the drain but thanks for checking back. It get worse by the days.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Everyone must join Lemonade! All my experience with them is really great and by far unbeatable. My Claim was approved in 4 seconds! Unbelievable, I can’t stop talking about how amazing they really are! There is no insurance that’s like them. I have pet insurance, renter’s, and life insurance with them. I love it

Original review: July 26, 2021

I had a great experience with this insurance when things were stolen from my house. It was easy and fast and I would definitely recommend to anyone looking to have a little peace and mind because anything could happen to anyone ✅.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Very impressed with the speed and efficiency with which my request was processed. Will be an active advocate for Lemonade with friends and family. Thanks to Deb for helping me out and keeping me informed of the developments along the claim process.

Original review: July 25, 2021

When I needed help with my claim, I was very nervous it was going to be hard, but everything was so easy to follow, and they helped me out so quickly. Not only quickly, but they were so kind, I had a very stressful situation and they could have added to my stress, but they did not. They were so helpful and awesome!

Original review: July 23, 2021

Amazing Claim Experience! I didn't think it could be easier. I had my bike stolen and filed a police report, notified Lemonade and uploaded receipts and a police report and the claim was approved within minutes and funds deposited directly in my checking account. I was pleasantly surprised by the hassle-free experience and prompt payment. Lemonade truly was able to make Lemonade out of lemons! Thank you!

Original review: July 23, 2021

Lemonade’s entire process is seamless, and their customer service time was wonderful. I had my boyfriend added to my insurance plan (rather than paying for two separate plans) and when his bike was stolen, I was able to easily file a report on the Lemonade app. We heard back quickly from the customer service team and were reimbursed for the full amount of the bike! Would 100% recommend.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Filing a claim was never so easy and smooth, it was approved within a week of filing and the customer support is beyond amazing (huge shoutout to Jynuial). I would highly recommend Lemonade to anyone looking for Renter’s Insurance. It's simply the best in the market.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Lemonade was very busy with Covid, but even with slight delays they were very quick to keep me updated and I felt like they worked with me instead of against me! I’d recommend this insurance company over any other. Shout out to Kailey especially. She was nice and helpful when my car got broken into and all my important belongings were taken.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I had a hell of a fourth of July. I cut my finger cooking in the morning and was walking to my car to go to the ER for stitches. I walked to my car and the back window was smashed and my car was robbed. From filing a police report to auto insurance to renters insurance and getting stitches all in one day, Lemonade made it easy. I got prompt responses and made the process so much easier than I expected. TBH Deanna just made it easy for me. Nothing else is really needed to be said.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My overall experience was wonderful the communication was outstanding and everything was explained very well. Whatever I didn’t understand Adam was there to help. I will definitely be making some recommendations and spreading the word about you guys wonderful service.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I wasn't impressed with how I was treated in regards to my claims. I didn't get the feedback the follow-up that is necessary to understand the process of how to deal with this claim. I felt as though I was begging for reimbursements that I paid into for this insurance and up to now it's been ghostly situation.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My first claim with Lemonade was very easy to follow - all on the app, so I didn't need to fill out long and complex forms or mail anything. Working with one staff member was also a pleasant surprise and allowed me to communicate easily. Fair valuation and reimbursement - a result that I was happy with.

Original review: July 21, 2021

My belongings were stolen during a trip and Lemonade was incredible in taking care of the issue super quick.. From filing on the app to the communication with my rep Laurin everything was smooth and easy. So glad I have them as my insurance company!!!

Original review: July 21, 2021

I provided all my claim information that I had to the best of my ability. The process was stressful and I felt that everything I was providing wasn’t enough! Although the overall outcome was good towards end of claim and fast once everything got finally approved!

Original review: July 21, 2021

The claims process was super fast and easy. It is a painless process that makes a horrible situation much easier to handle! I received my settlement to cover damages to my items and furniture from water damage caused by a burst pipe in my apartment in less than a day! Would definitely recommend using Lemonade for your renters insurance.

Original review: July 21, 2021

When my phone got stolen I did not think about looking at my renter insurance at 1st. But one of my friend talked me into it and I reached out. It was quite a long and complicated process (the paperwork, police report, invoice etc. I had to gather) but Katy my contact at Lemonade stayed in touch along the way and even accepted my claim even though I was still struggling with the paperwork. I am grateful for that.

Original review: July 21, 2021

This is my first year with Lemonade and I’m very happy with the great customer service. Analisse was very professional and provided an outstanding customer service throughout the claim process and made me believe in insurance again and feel safe from the unknown!

Original review: July 21, 2021

We had to file a claim under our renters insurance, the process was super easy. All steps were completed in the App and received a settlement almost 24 hours later. Super impressed, we use Lemonade for pet insurance already. Can’t wait until we have everything under Lemonade.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information