4.8/5 (1768 ratings)

About Lemonade Renters Insurance

Lemonade Insurance company is transforming the typical insurance model with transparency and instant technology. Their monthly affordable fixed flat rate means you get your claims paid faster. They offer an add-on for extra coverage with no deductible covering damage and theft, worldwide. Renters Insurance monthly fee as low as $5. It only takes 90 seconds to get insured - check their prices and get insured today!

Pros

• Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available
  • Giveback Program

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No bundling with auto

Bottom Line

Lemonade Renters Insurance offers affordable rates with flexible coverage options. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes minutes to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most common covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage you choose, the deductible you can afford and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, even with maximum payouts for electronics, liability, loss of use and guest medical coverage. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible, as much as $2,500, your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay much more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which would add a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or extra water back-up coverage costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?
Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.
How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?
Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.
What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts are available for Lemonade Renters Insurance customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.
Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?
Unfortunately, Lemonade does not offer car insurance, so customers cannot bundle renters insurance with auto for a discount.
What is Lemonade’s Zero Everything policy?
Lemonade is working on expanding its Zero Everything policy. This policy allows customers to get renters insurance coverage with zero deductibles and no price increase after filing a claim.
Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?
As of September 2019, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Yes, Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters and homeowners insurance. We recommend it because of its transparent payment system, flexible coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance, the company makes up for it with other optional discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims are straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: March 3, 2022

At the end of January 2022, one of the exterior walls of my apartment building collapsed suddenly. This wall was directly behind my apartment and the collapse also damaged the wall that was against the side of my apartment. The collapse ripped all the power meters off the wall causing the entire building to lose power! Luckily, no one was injured. I immediately called Lemonade to ask what my options were. The app didn't have an option for this type of claim, however, the agents I spoke with on the phone were extremely sympathetic, took the matter seriously, and immediately got to work on helping me figure out what my policy would and would not cover.

While they had their team look over my policy coverage, they even sent me a small advance to help pay for a hotel room as I could not stay in my apartment for safety reasons. My situation became even more complicated when it began raining for two days straight and then temperatures in Houston dropped below freezing for several days. As my apartment had no power for heating or lights, it complicated the move a lot and required the use of two different moving services on different days to accommodate for the weather. Of course, a week without power meant every item in my refrigerator and freezer was ruined as well!

Moving to my new apartment took longer than expected, then I got caught up in work and trying to manage all the details of a sudden move, so getting all the receipts and info to Lemonade was taking even longer. Through it all, every agent who helped with my case was exemplary in their kindness, compassion, and willingness to help. The reminders to send the receipts that I was emailed regularly helped me remember to get it all done and without them, I would have probably completely forgotten to do it! The day I was finally able to get all the information they requested together and send it, I received a response with my claim approval within just a few hours! The only part of the whole process that was slow was ME!

This was not the first claim I have had to make with Lemonade and each and every time it has been incredibly easy, efficient, and FAST! Truly a delight to work with and I can't tell you how much I appreciated how simple they made the process for me. I would highly recommend Lemonade to anyone looking for renters insurance! (They have other services that they offer as well. However, I have not had the opportunity to use them yet.)

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Lemonade Renters Insurance rocks. Stephanie and Stephanie my claim adjusters that I have two claims in less than a month jumped on it, took care of it and got it down. I wish that I can say that it was over but there was other issues that lemonade just wasn't allowed to help with but I know they could have they would have. Lemonade is always had my back when things got tough or how Scott broke into. This isn't the first time I've dealt with the claims department. I've never had issues with any of the claim adjusters. They've always been very helpful and I would definitely recommend them to anybody for renters insurance or any other. I'm actually getting ready to get my dog Zeto insurance through lemonade as soon as all settles down and my life is cuz I went back to normal.

Once again ladies you guys rock and I wish I could take you out to lunch or maybe a couple of beers but that's not possible so thank you for the bottom of my heart. I hope it's getting up for you. Keep up the good work because you do make a difference in people's life when things get tough and when you focus. You know my situation I didn't know black mold was poisonous that can make you discombobulated and you girls just kept on me and kept me moving and going. I don't know what I would have to do with that you guys. Once again you guys rock. Thanks lemonade for hiring good people who have hard and care about people situations. Compassion is a big thing when people are in a crisis. God bless your company and God bless the people that work for you. Thanks again. Diane and Zeto

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

My claim was fairly complicated; a sophisticated theft of a phone paid for through Paypal, handed over to the 'buyer' and then charge backed to me after a 10 day lull. Basically the thief got away with the phone and their bank was fighting to get his money back as well. Needless to say, I felt completely at a loss for what to do apart from submitting all the proof I could to try and fight my case. And then I remembered I had renter's insurance. I was hesitant to start a claim as I did not quite know if this kind of ongoing case of theft could be covered.

Anyway, since I was trying to do all I could to recover my funds, I decided to give it a shot as it was a potential avenue to a resolution. Laurin was assigned my case. She immediately reached out sympathizing with my situation and extending warm wishes while she dug into the case. She only then asked for a couple of screenshots showing the chargeback claim I was hit with before she reviewed it all and came to the conclusion for Lemonade to cover the theft! And all this within 24 hours. To say I'm speechless would be an understatement. I am thoroughly impressed and amazed by the sympathy, professionalism, efficiency and friendliness shown to me by Laurin on behalf of Lemonade. I can safely say that Lemonade is a no brainer when it comes to no-nonsense, person to person, considered insurance coverage. I can't wait until your guy's auto insurance policies come out!! Thank you Laurin, and thank you Lemonade.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Clarissa and the Lemonade Team for their exceptional handling of my insurance claim. Back in January of this year (2021) while battling Corona Virus, a fire broke out at the apartment unit directly above mine causing the sprinklers to go off destroying my apartment and many of my belongings. Devastated, in quarantine and with really nowhere to go (apartment was unlivable) I called Lemonade and filed a claim immediately. Clarissa my representative got my boyfriend and I into a hotel immediately and began promptly working on my insurance claim.

After A few days in the hotel, I contacted Clarissa knowing we would additional time and that our apartment wouldn’t be fixed for “several weeks” and asked if there was any way we could move into and Air B and B instead. The accommodations at the hotel we were at were, let’s just say were sub-par (mind you we chose the hotel ourselves since it was close to both our jobs) and with no means to cook and having to order out food each meal until we finished quarantine we needed all the help we could get.

As soon as I asked for this request Clarissa immediately said “no problem, go online send me which one you think would suit you best and we will get something going”. I was astounded; if I could hug her through the phone I would have. The following day here we were in our beautiful Air B and B with not a worry in the world —well other than our destroyed apartment of course. It was such a relief and put me at such ease after spending several nights crying over this major inconvenience (fire) that just occurred in the dead of winter during a global pandemic.

Clarissa booked us the Air B and B for one month and said if I needed additional time to let her know. Over the next few weeks, Clarissa and other members of the Lemonade Team and Temporary Accommodations checked in with us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying our new temporary home. Soon after, I began doing my “homework” and started putting together a little spreadsheet of all my damaged belongings, destroyed items etc. to tally up the losses. As well as this, Clarissa had asked that I kept a list of my food expenditures while we were in the hotel as I would be reimbursed for the food we ate during the lose of use of our apartment during that brief period. I then sent that over to her and was reimbursed the following day! I have never in my life experienced customer service like this before.

As weeks went by, we were then told by my landlord that the apartment would not be finished in the upcoming weeks and Clarissa extended our stay for us, which took a great deal of stress of both my boyfriend and I since we were both back to work full-time. However, once our stay was nearing an end we were blindsided by my landlord and were told that our apartment wouldn’t be ready for several more months. Because my coverage for loss-of-use was getting close to the max for the policy I purchased I would have to pay out of my pocket unless we found a new place to live.

Within the next few days we found a new apartment and couldn’t wait for our fresh new start. Seeing as all of our belongings were in storage (sent their by the remediation company) I wasn’t sure what to do next and called Clarissa. Not only did she directly work with them, she even got them to hire movers to move all of our stuff into our new place at no cost to me.

Our new apartment complex required us to have Renter’s Insurance, which is not mandatory in the state of Rhode Island but required by our specific landlord and I told him our story. He was so moved at how amazing Lemonade was to us and by my enthusiasm in your company that he told all of the other new tenets to get it as well! Lemonade and Clarissa I cannot thank you enough. I sincerely appreciate being a customer of yours and your tremendous dedication to your clients is unmatched. As a bartender, I talk to several people on a daily basis and when the story of my apartment fire comes up I tell them about you and how thankful I am that I had Lemonade and highly recommend it to everyone. I even have them download your app and help them sign up. Clarissa, you’re a rock star! You have no idea how grateful I am for help I cannot thank you enough. Sincerely, Katie **

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The past few months I have been dealing with a property management company that has completely ghosted me after after going through 2 floods that were proven not to be my fault and having discovering that black mold and asbestos in my apartment. So as I am sure you can guess the last few months have been spent dealing with these issues leaving me, at the very end of it all, completely jobless and strapped for cash while having to move. There was damage done to my personal property throughout all these events. Lots of water damage. When I first filed a claim with Lemonade I wasn't sure that anything would come of it. After all they are very affordable for the amount of coverage that they were providing for me. In my experience, low cost means low quality. (Sorry that's what I'm used to.) I can't tell you how wrong I was.

Adam (my claim specialist) not only was very attentive, he did not give up when I couldn't respond to him right away. When I submitted all the information that he asked for, Adam made sure my claim was settled relatively quickly. They got the funds into my account very quickly. Because of their diligence and dedication, I didn't end up homeless or without some kind of financial relief. I can't tell you how grateful I am to Lemonade and Adam for helping me. When it comes to your renters insurance or your homeowners insurance my experience with this company tells me that that there is no one better. Not even the State Farm or Allstate would take care of things as fast as they did and I know because I've had both those insurance companies before. Thank you so much.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I had all the items I owned of value robbed from my house. It was a very difficult case because of the large dollar value of the total items. My agent, Dion, worked very hard to get my case resolved for me. It took a while, but he did come through for me. Now I can start putting the pieces of my life back together. Thanks Lemonade Insurance!

Original review: May 20, 2022

This was the easiest claim process ever completed. I have renewed faith in Insurance after not taking my policy serious - Lemonade was here to help promptly and fair. It’s refreshing to know insurance is there when you need it. As a Real Estate Broker I’ve heard one too many stories of insurance not wanting to pay, for me Lemonade has supported me in an important time of disappointment of my loss. Thank you Lemonade!

Original review: May 20, 2022

Lemonade was great. Bad enough when terrible things happen, worse when your insurance claim has to go through the endless cycle of questions and doubt. There was none of that with Lemonade. They approached it with a customer first attitude and from a place of support vs trying to find a way to NOT help. Can’t recommend their policies enough!

Original review: May 19, 2022

Kaleb is being amazing with this process. I had a hard time to gather information on time since I being in and out of the hospital. It took little bit but thank you for your patience. I really think Kaleb did a great job. Thank you.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Thanks to Sasha from the Lemonade team for making this potentially difficult process easy and painless. I was super sad to lose the bike I'd had for nearly ten years. We shared a lot of memories. Sasha was considerate and thoughtful throughout the entire process. I will most definitely be recommending Lemonade to my friends.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information