Get a Quote

2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

4.8/5 (1015 ratings)

About Lemonade Renters Insurance

Lemonade Insurance company is transforming the typical insurance model with transparency and instant technology. Their monthly affordable fixed flat rate means you get your claims paid faster. They offer an add-on for extra coverage with no deductible covering damage and theft, worldwide. Renters Insurance monthly fee as low as $5. It only takes 90 seconds to get insured - check their prices and get insured today!

Pros

• Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available
  • Giveback Program

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No bundling with auto

Bottom Line

Lemonade Renters Insurance offers affordable rates with flexible coverage options. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes minutes to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most common covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage you choose, the deductible you can afford and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, even with maximum payouts for electronics, liability, loss of use and guest medical coverage. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible, as much as $2,500, your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay much more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which would add a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or extra water back-up coverage costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?
Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.
How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?
Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.
What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts are available for Lemonade Renters Insurance customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.
Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?
Unfortunately, Lemonade does not offer car insurance, so customers cannot bundle renters insurance with auto for a discount.
What is Lemonade’s Zero Everything policy?
Lemonade is working on expanding its Zero Everything policy. This policy allows customers to get renters insurance coverage with zero deductibles and no price increase after filing a claim.
Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?
As of September 2019, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Yes, Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters and homeowners insurance. We recommend it because of its transparent payment system, flexible coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance, the company makes up for it with other optional discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims are straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

My claim was fairly complicated; a sophisticated theft of a phone paid for through Paypal, handed over to the 'buyer' and then charge backed to me after a 10 day lull. Basically the thief got away with the phone and their bank was fighting to get his money back as well. Needless to say, I felt completely at a loss for what to do apart from submitting all the proof I could to try and fight my case. And then I remembered I had renter's insurance. I was hesitant to start a claim as I did not quite know if this kind of ongoing case of theft could be covered.

Anyway, since I was trying to do all I could to recover my funds, I decided to give it a shot as it was a potential avenue to a resolution. Laurin was assigned my case. She immediately reached out sympathizing with my situation and extending warm wishes while she dug into the case. She only then asked for a couple of screenshots showing the chargeback claim I was hit with before she reviewed it all and came to the conclusion for Lemonade to cover the theft! And all this within 24 hours. To say I'm speechless would be an understatement. I am thoroughly impressed and amazed by the sympathy, professionalism, efficiency and friendliness shown to me by Laurin on behalf of Lemonade. I can safely say that Lemonade is a no brainer when it comes to no-nonsense, person to person, considered insurance coverage. I can't wait until your guy's auto insurance policies come out!! Thank you Laurin, and thank you Lemonade.

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Clarissa and the Lemonade Team for their exceptional handling of my insurance claim. Back in January of this year (2021) while battling Corona Virus, a fire broke out at the apartment unit directly above mine causing the sprinklers to go off destroying my apartment and many of my belongings. Devastated, in quarantine and with really nowhere to go (apartment was unlivable) I called Lemonade and filed a claim immediately. Clarissa my representative got my boyfriend and I into a hotel immediately and began promptly working on my insurance claim.

After A few days in the hotel, I contacted Clarissa knowing we would additional time and that our apartment wouldn’t be fixed for “several weeks” and asked if there was any way we could move into and Air B and B instead. The accommodations at the hotel we were at were, let’s just say were sub-par (mind you we chose the hotel ourselves since it was close to both our jobs) and with no means to cook and having to order out food each meal until we finished quarantine we needed all the help we could get.

As soon as I asked for this request Clarissa immediately said “no problem, go online send me which one you think would suit you best and we will get something going”. I was astounded; if I could hug her through the phone I would have. The following day here we were in our beautiful Air B and B with not a worry in the world —well other than our destroyed apartment of course. It was such a relief and put me at such ease after spending several nights crying over this major inconvenience (fire) that just occurred in the dead of winter during a global pandemic.

Clarissa booked us the Air B and B for one month and said if I needed additional time to let her know. Over the next few weeks, Clarissa and other members of the Lemonade Team and Temporary Accommodations checked in with us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying our new temporary home. Soon after, I began doing my “homework” and started putting together a little spreadsheet of all my damaged belongings, destroyed items etc. to tally up the losses. As well as this, Clarissa had asked that I kept a list of my food expenditures while we were in the hotel as I would be reimbursed for the food we ate during the lose of use of our apartment during that brief period. I then sent that over to her and was reimbursed the following day! I have never in my life experienced customer service like this before.

As weeks went by, we were then told by my landlord that the apartment would not be finished in the upcoming weeks and Clarissa extended our stay for us, which took a great deal of stress of both my boyfriend and I since we were both back to work full-time. However, once our stay was nearing an end we were blindsided by my landlord and were told that our apartment wouldn’t be ready for several more months. Because my coverage for loss-of-use was getting close to the max for the policy I purchased I would have to pay out of my pocket unless we found a new place to live.

Within the next few days we found a new apartment and couldn’t wait for our fresh new start. Seeing as all of our belongings were in storage (sent their by the remediation company) I wasn’t sure what to do next and called Clarissa. Not only did she directly work with them, she even got them to hire movers to move all of our stuff into our new place at no cost to me.

Our new apartment complex required us to have Renter’s Insurance, which is not mandatory in the state of Rhode Island but required by our specific landlord and I told him our story. He was so moved at how amazing Lemonade was to us and by my enthusiasm in your company that he told all of the other new tenets to get it as well! Lemonade and Clarissa I cannot thank you enough. I sincerely appreciate being a customer of yours and your tremendous dedication to your clients is unmatched. As a bartender, I talk to several people on a daily basis and when the story of my apartment fire comes up I tell them about you and how thankful I am that I had Lemonade and highly recommend it to everyone. I even have them download your app and help them sign up. Clarissa, you’re a rock star! You have no idea how grateful I am for help I cannot thank you enough. Sincerely, Katie **

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I recently had my camera stolen and was at a loss for what to do. I contacted Lemonade and filed a claim and Sasha turned a very unfortunate event around in a matter of days, helping me to gather all documents needed for the claim, and submitting it for reimbursement. After a devastating loss, I could not be more grateful for the support and attentiveness Sasha provided while working through my claim.

At one point, another member of the Lemonade team reached out as it was Sasha's day off and explained what the next steps are and reassured me that the process will be quick. Everyone who I have spoken to along the way has been so compassionate which really makes me feel like they truly care and I'm not just another ticket they're trying to get done like other insurance companies. And when Sasha confirmed my reimbursement, she shared the same level of excitement with me, really showing how much she was invested in the process of resolving this for me.

Truthfully I never really thought I needed renter's insurance, but after this experience, I have been shouting from the rooftops how grateful I am that I had Lemonade during this and encouraging EVERYONE I know to get renter's insurance if they don't have it, as it saved us so much money and a lot of heartbreak that we would have experienced if we were out a $3000 camera with no insurance. Thank you so much!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The past few months I have been dealing with a property management company that has completely ghosted me after after going through 2 floods that were proven not to be my fault and having discovering that black mold and asbestos in my apartment. So as I am sure you can guess the last few months have been spent dealing with these issues leaving me, at the very end of it all, completely jobless and strapped for cash while having to move. There was damage done to my personal property throughout all these events. Lots of water damage. When I first filed a claim with Lemonade I wasn't sure that anything would come of it. After all they are very affordable for the amount of coverage that they were providing for me. In my experience, low cost means low quality. (Sorry that's what I'm used to.) I can't tell you how wrong I was.

Adam (my claim specialist) not only was very attentive, he did not give up when I couldn't respond to him right away. When I submitted all the information that he asked for, Adam made sure my claim was settled relatively quickly. They got the funds into my account very quickly. Because of their diligence and dedication, I didn't end up homeless or without some kind of financial relief. I can't tell you how grateful I am to Lemonade and Adam for helping me. When it comes to your renters insurance or your homeowners insurance my experience with this company tells me that that there is no one better. Not even the State Farm or Allstate would take care of things as fast as they did and I know because I've had both those insurance companies before. Thank you so much.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Zach was very patient and kind while helping me with my claim. He was on top of things but unfortunately he was at the mercy of someone else on my end to provide some additional information that he need. And unfortunately I had a lot of stuff going on and was a tad bit crabby to Zach. He was so amazingly professional as he could sense that I was stressed about the damage as well as other things going on in my world. So he didn't passively wait for what he needed, he did whatever he did to get it ASAP and I was pretty impressed. Then he had to wait on me a bit but once I submitted everything to him he literally started working on my claim immediately. He was clear with his explanations and answers to my questions. He responded to me immediately when I needed something which he did from the very beginning. He told me he would have it done by the end of the week and this was on a Monday so I was expecting by Friday.

I got an email on Thursday from him that the claim was approved and that the money should probably hit my bank in 3-5 days. The money hit my bank account the same day. I don't know how but I almost fell out of my chair. Lemonade is who they say they are and they do what they say they are going to do. No gimmicks, no scams, no games to try to not pay fair claims. It was extremely easy. The only difficulty was me being crabby. Thank you Zach so much for your professionalism. You deserve a raise!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Sasha assisted me with my recent claim. She was diligent, dedicated, efficient with very clear and friendly messages. It makes the process much more easier and pain free. I would 100% recommend to work with her, best experience I had so far with a customer support.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Communication was terrible and I am still waiting on a reply to an inquiry from over three months ago, which I have since followed up about multiple times, meanwhile I have yet to receive a human response, just an automated email saying they’ll get back to me soon. Well more than three months have passed. At this point, I’ve been ghosted by the adjuster.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Hello. I experienced mold in my apartment closet and I submitted a claim that took less than 10 minutes! The process was easy and quick! And Alexis made my experience so much better! Thank you Lemonade for making this process easy and assuring! Great policy to have with lemonade.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

The help I received from the claims team was awesome. Although my claim was not approved Immediately, it was resolved quickly and proficiently. My claims advisor was informative and patient when answering my questions. He promptly responded to all of emails and did not delay in informing me when my claim was approved. Thank you to the Lemonade team.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Lemonade was helpful and responsive in figuring out my claim for loss of use during our recent fire evacuation. I reached out once we were evacuated and used throughout automated form fill up to match me up with the right claim and agent. From there, the communication was quite smooth, in terms of setting expectations on the claim reimbursement, what would be needed to complete the claim and when I should expect. The reimbursement did come a bit later than I had hope but overall, I was happy with the service!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Someone broke in my apartment, and I had Lemonade as my insurance, they are very helpful and very quick in sorting things out for me! Their agent Ryan was very helpful in asking the required information and give me guidance on what do to.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I am extremely pleased. The process was well-thought out, easy to follow, and ended up with me receiving an amount that was in accordance with my plan. It was thoughtful to have us submit receipts when we could, but it was also very understanding of you to know that some receipts were not possible to find. Thank you very much!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

We received the full claimed amount from Lemonade. The staffs were very cordial with us and made the whole process very transparent and fast. Thank you Marilyn for successfully completing the whole process. Will recommend Lemonade to all of my friends.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Highly recommend Lemonade. Had personal property that was unfortunately stolen. Lemonade made the claim process easy and hassle-free. An agent immediately contacted me and walked me step by step at each point in the process. I appreciate their patience and attention to detail. What could have been a major headache was instead an easy few steps.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Great communication, easy process and quick resolution. We will be getting money to replace our swingset soon thanks to the coverage. We are very satisfied with our service and would highly recommend to anyone looking for renters insurance or any insurance offered by Lemonade.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Ryan was awesome he really made me feel like he cared. Ryan was serious about my claim and helping me to recover from a very tragic moment in my life. Ryan’s patience and dedication has allowed me to be able to work on rebuilding after my home was vandalized and ransacked.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I’d say it was a near perfect customer experience. The only issue was the payment took much longer to be delivered than it had sounded like it would. Anyway, still the best insurance company I’ve worked with by far! Their automated services actually work, and it provides a great customer experience. When the automated services aren’t helpful, they step in quickly with a super friendly team! Shoutout to Savannah!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Signing up with Lemonade was quick and easy. Once I had a policy in place, I opted to add additional insurance for a brand new bike. Recently, that bike was stolen and I reached out for help. I was, again, able to quickly get help from the team, provide a police report, and get the instance fully covered (no deductible due to the type of additional insurance). Their team is always friendly and goes the extra mile to make sure you are taken care of.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Kaleb was so wonderful. He helped us with everything we needed and got our issues resolved very fast. We expected this whole process would take a few weeks at least, and it ended up taking about one week total. Kaleb was always there to answer questions and to help us out.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I never received payment for my Claim. I informed John of me not receiving and he refused to issue the payment again to the correct account. So basically I lost everything and John left me high and dry. He stopped replying to my emails and phone calls and refused to resolve the situation.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Hannah was outstanding. She made the claim process simple, streamlined and pretty much hands off. My mother had a fall which left outstanding medical bills and Lemonade got them paid through my policy in a few short clicks. It was truly a hands off experience. I have gone through other insurance claims with the Geico brand. It was a headache and they made it so complex, and frustrating. I couldn't believe that Lemonade was so seamless from signing up for a policy a few years ago to actually making a claim. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

My claim specialist was very caring for my situation, kept me very updated, answered all questions & call, the process was easy. My payment was made in no time to me for my loss during the difficult time! My home was burglarized & me having Lemonade insurance, they didn’t add to the problem.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

My patio was broken into while I was on vacation, and some very expensive items were taken. I was super bummed about it and filed a claim for the first time through Lemonade. Kailey helped me out with my claim and made the process very smooth and easy for me despite the stress of the situation! Great service. Would highly recommend!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Scott was able to help me quickly and answered every question I had clearly and promptly. I am very thankful for lemonade’s help filing a claim. I definitely recommend this company to anyone looking for renters insurance. Thank you team Lemonade for all your help!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My belongings were stolen from my vehicle. I submitted a claim and Claudia was very friendly, responsive, and super helpful with the process. You can tell she enjoys helping clients during times of stress, I really appreciated that. One thing I think Lemonade could improve on is not restricting the claim process to a mobile phone. I understand this is convenient for some, but it can be cumbersome as well. Mobile phones have small screens and navigating through the process is not ideal.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Laurin was amazing! She helped me before and after Labor Day weekend. She made my experience effortless and amazing. She is a definitely 10/10! Would definitely recommend! She followed up with me and kept me updated throughout the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Jon, from Lemonade, worked very hard and long and was able to get my claim approved and provide a great payout for my stolen personal belongings. He provided updates whenever he could and worked tirelessly. Overall, great experience and I will be extending my lemonade policy. Thank you to the lemonade team for taking care of me.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

She was very great to work with and made the process super easy! I would recommend Lemonade to everyone! Even though our equipment wasn’t found we got some of the cost covered and that helped a ton! Thanks to Tamika our experience with lemonade was great!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Sara was super communicative and helpful throughout the process. She made sure that I was aware of the $250 deductible and was very responsive when I had questions or she needed any updated information. Was very happy with the service she and Lemonade provided.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I filed a claim and Lemonade made everything so easy to submit and also the claim process was smooth. Insurance is affordable monthly as well. I got important items stolen from my car and lemonade was there for me. I will always recommend lemonade to family and friends.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information