4.8/5 (1803 ratings)

About Lemonade Renters Insurance

Lemonade Insurance company is transforming the typical insurance model with transparency and instant technology. Their monthly affordable fixed flat rate means you get your claims paid faster. They offer an add-on for extra coverage with no deductible covering damage and theft, worldwide. Renters Insurance monthly fee as low as $5. It only takes 90 seconds to get insured - check their prices and get insured today!

Pros

• Flexible coverage
  • Speedy payouts
  • Low-cost policies
  • Add-on coverage available
  • Giveback Program

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No bundling with auto

Bottom Line

Lemonade Renters Insurance offers affordable rates with flexible coverage options. It's not yet available in every state, but it's expanding quickly. Customers can expect fast payouts with its automated claims system.

How does Lemonade Renters Insurance work?

Lemonade makes renters insurance simple. The company does this a few ways; the first is only taking a flat fee. The rest of the premium is held for paying claims — some of which are paid in three seconds. Any remaining claim balance is passed to the charity of your choice. This isn't just an excellent opportunity for charities — by letting go of the remaining cash, it takes the temptation away from Lemonade to make a profit from claim balances.

Lemonade is built solely on a digital platform with no brick-and-mortar offices, and its customers can adjust their coverage, file claims or ask questions online or in Lemonade’s mobile app, anytime, anywhere. Lemonade is powered by artificial intelligence, which lets the company work efficiently with fewer agents while keeping costs low, and claims processing takes minutes to complete. Lemonade is known for being very transparent about this model and prides itself on its fast service at low costs.

What does Lemonade Renters Insurance cover?

Just like traditional renters insurance policies, Lemonade renters insurance covers personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use up to a certain payout. However, Lemonade may not cover loss in specific instances — check Lemonade's list of the most common covered incidents for damaged items:

• Fire and smoke
  • Wind, lightning and hail
  • Crime and vandalism
  • Water damage

Coverage can also include medical payments for accidents that happen to guests on your property, helping mitigate potential lawsuits associated with these cases.

Spouses and children are also covered on the same renters insurance, and customers can add significant others to their policy immediately via the app.

What isn’t covered by my Lemonade renters insurance policy?

Lemonade’s basic renters insurance plans do not include flood insurance, earthquake coverage or coverage for your roommates. Earthquake coverage can be purchased for an additional fee, flood insurance can be purchased with a separate policy and platonic roommates must get their own renters insurance policy.

How much does Lemonade Renters Insurance cost?

Lemonade renters insurance policies start at $5 a month for basic coverage, but most customers pay around $20 per month for standard coverage. The Lemonade renters insurance price depends on a few factors, including the coverage you choose, the deductible you can afford and whether or not you’ve installed home security and fire systems.

As far as coverage goes, the most influential factor on price is the amount of personal property coverage you need. The minimum, $10,000, can secure you a low monthly payment, even with maximum payouts for electronics, liability, loss of use and guest medical coverage. The maximum coverage for personal property, $250,000, would require a monthly payment closer to $100.

If you opt into a high deductible, as much as $2,500, your monthly cost is driven way down. Conversely, you should expect to pay much more per month if you have a $250 deductible.

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras and musical instruments, which would add a few more dollars to your monthly premiums. Adding a significant other to your policy or extra water back-up coverage costs more as well.

You’ll need to decide what level of coverage you want to get an accurate Lemonade renters insurance quote.

Lemonade Renters Insurance FAQ

Can I add my roommate to my Lemonade renters insurance policy?
Unless your roommate is related to you, they cannot be added to your policy and must purchase their own. Spouses, children and in some cases a landlord can be added to your renters insurance policy. Significant others can be added for a little more each month.
How do I file a Lemonade renters insurance claim?
Lemonade makes filing claims very simple online or through their mobile app. Customers are prompted to provide information — including photos or video — of the damages. Lemonade’s claims process is automated, so some customers might receive payment within minutes of submission.
What Lemonade renters insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts are available for Lemonade Renters Insurance customers who install home security systems or fire/smoke monitoring devices. Customers with good credit can expect to pay lower premiums than those with poor credit.
Can I bundle Lemonade Renters Insurance with auto insurance?
Unfortunately, Lemonade does not offer car insurance, so customers cannot bundle renters insurance with auto for a discount.
What is Lemonade’s Zero Everything policy?
Lemonade is working on expanding its Zero Everything policy. This policy allows customers to get renters insurance coverage with zero deductibles and no price increase after filing a claim.
Is Lemonade Renters Insurance available in my state?
As of September 2019, Lemonade Renters Insurance is available in:
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington D.C.
  • Wisconsin

Is Lemonade Renters Insurance legit?

Yes, Lemonade is a fully licensed and regulated insurance company offering renters and homeowners insurance. We recommend it because of its transparent payment system, flexible coverage and affordable premiums. Though Lemonade does not offer bundling discounts with auto insurance, the company makes up for it with other optional discounts and flexible, low-cost coverage. Filing claims are straightforward, its coverage is generous, and you get to choose a charity to support with unclaimed premiums.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Renters Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

On Friday, August 26, 2022, while traveling from Chicago to Michigan for a family wedding, my vehicle was broken into while parked in a relatively busy parking lot in SE Michigan. The thief broke into my car’s back window and ransacked all of my personal belongings inside — including my work backpack (laptop/portable monitor/other electronics) as well as my travel carryon suitcase (expensive clothing / dress cloths / etc.).

On August 27, 2022, I reported the incident to Lemonade. The individual handling my claim, Kaleb, was far from what you would expect from an insurance customer service representative, charged with handling insurance claims. He was kind. He was caring. He was prompt with his responses. He was specific and clear about what he needed from my end. He never made things difficult. He understood I was going through a lot and made my life that much easier by holding up Lemonade’s promise to support me when times like this unfortunately roll around. On September 7, 2022, only 8-days after my original incident report with Lemonade, my claim was approved by Kaleb and team. On September 8, 2022, only 1-day after Lemonade approved my insurance claim, I received 100% of my claim amount (less than my $500 deductible, of course).

Lemonade has earned my respect as an insurance company. Kaleb has earned my respect as a professional and a kind person. And I have personally committed to working with Lemonade (and Kaleb, though I do hope I never need to make a claim again) for the foreseeable future. Thank you to the entire team. I will most definitely be recommending you guys to friends, family, and strangers should the topic come up in conversation.

Best Regards,

Jousef **

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I was sitting in my easy chair, texting my family and friends, letting them know that I had just found out I officially graduated. I called my mom to tell her the news, I had a strange feeling that something was wrong. I charged it to the fact that I had just got up from a nap about 10 or 15 minutes prior. I couldn't have been more wrong. I told my mom that I smelled barbecue, so I went outside and saw a little bit of smoke, and thought it was weird to be barbecuing on such a windy night. I came back inside, and sniffed the air again, and then I told my mom this isn't barbecue, something is on fire! I went outside again, and that little bit of smoke turned into a nice size cloud of smoke. In a panic, I grabbed what I could, which wasn't much, and headed towards the door.

I looked over at my Bible that was sitting in front of my window, and went to grab it, when something said no, leave it. Not understanding why, but not having time to question it either, I ran out of the door. This nice size cloud of smoke, literally started to look like a scene from a marvel movie. Barely able to breathe, I hastily walked towards my car. I drove around, and found a safe distance to watch almost everything I owned, go up in flames. When I finally realized that I wasn't going back home that night. I found me a motel room.

I completed my claim online that night, because I knew I had to file it as soon as possible, I am glad that I did, because recording my video detailing what happened, was very therapeutic for me. I received a call from Morgan, the next day. I told her what happened, surprisingly, she had been through the same thing. So, she could truly relate to how I felt at that moment. That was comforting for me. She handled my claim with such great care, and professionalism while being personable at the same time. I lacked nothing, Lemonade took care of me while I was going through one of the worst moments of my life. I didn't feel victimized, nor did they take anytime getting me the funds I needed, for my room, food, clothes, etc. I would highly recommend Lemonade renter's insurance, Morgan in particular. I never kept renter's insurance past a month, the first time I did, I experienced a fire.

I am glad that Lemonade was there for me, when I needed them most. Oh yeah, remember my Bible that I left in front of the window? I have it, and I still read it to this day. Needless to say, everything around it was damaged, but it sustained none, just like me, and the over 60 people that were impacted by this 3 alarm fire, requiring over 120 fire fighters. I am proud of my community, we came together in true Houston fashion.

Original review: March 3, 2022

At the end of January 2022, one of the exterior walls of my apartment building collapsed suddenly. This wall was directly behind my apartment and the collapse also damaged the wall that was against the side of my apartment. The collapse ripped all the power meters off the wall causing the entire building to lose power! Luckily, no one was injured. I immediately called Lemonade to ask what my options were. The app didn't have an option for this type of claim, however, the agents I spoke with on the phone were extremely sympathetic, took the matter seriously, and immediately got to work on helping me figure out what my policy would and would not cover.

While they had their team look over my policy coverage, they even sent me a small advance to help pay for a hotel room as I could not stay in my apartment for safety reasons. My situation became even more complicated when it began raining for two days straight and then temperatures in Houston dropped below freezing for several days. As my apartment had no power for heating or lights, it complicated the move a lot and required the use of two different moving services on different days to accommodate for the weather. Of course, a week without power meant every item in my refrigerator and freezer was ruined as well!

Moving to my new apartment took longer than expected, then I got caught up in work and trying to manage all the details of a sudden move, so getting all the receipts and info to Lemonade was taking even longer. Through it all, every agent who helped with my case was exemplary in their kindness, compassion, and willingness to help. The reminders to send the receipts that I was emailed regularly helped me remember to get it all done and without them, I would have probably completely forgotten to do it! The day I was finally able to get all the information they requested together and send it, I received a response with my claim approval within just a few hours! The only part of the whole process that was slow was ME!

This was not the first claim I have had to make with Lemonade and each and every time it has been incredibly easy, efficient, and FAST! Truly a delight to work with and I can't tell you how much I appreciated how simple they made the process for me. I would highly recommend Lemonade to anyone looking for renters insurance! (They have other services that they offer as well. However, I have not had the opportunity to use them yet.)

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Lemonade Renters Insurance rocks. Stephanie and Stephanie my claim adjusters that I have two claims in less than a month jumped on it, took care of it and got it down. I wish that I can say that it was over but there was other issues that lemonade just wasn't allowed to help with but I know they could have they would have. Lemonade is always had my back when things got tough or how Scott broke into. This isn't the first time I've dealt with the claims department. I've never had issues with any of the claim adjusters. They've always been very helpful and I would definitely recommend them to anybody for renters insurance or any other. I'm actually getting ready to get my dog Zeto insurance through lemonade as soon as all settles down and my life is cuz I went back to normal.

Once again ladies you guys rock and I wish I could take you out to lunch or maybe a couple of beers but that's not possible so thank you for the bottom of my heart. I hope it's getting up for you. Keep up the good work because you do make a difference in people's life when things get tough and when you focus. You know my situation I didn't know black mold was poisonous that can make you discombobulated and you girls just kept on me and kept me moving and going. I don't know what I would have to do with that you guys. Once again you guys rock. Thanks lemonade for hiring good people who have hard and care about people situations. Compassion is a big thing when people are in a crisis. God bless your company and God bless the people that work for you. Thanks again. Diane and Zeto

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Clarissa and the Lemonade Team for their exceptional handling of my insurance claim. Back in January of this year (2021) while battling Corona Virus, a fire broke out at the apartment unit directly above mine causing the sprinklers to go off destroying my apartment and many of my belongings. Devastated, in quarantine and with really nowhere to go (apartment was unlivable) I called Lemonade and filed a claim immediately. Clarissa my representative got my boyfriend and I into a hotel immediately and began promptly working on my insurance claim.

After A few days in the hotel, I contacted Clarissa knowing we would additional time and that our apartment wouldn’t be fixed for “several weeks” and asked if there was any way we could move into and Air B and B instead. The accommodations at the hotel we were at were, let’s just say were sub-par (mind you we chose the hotel ourselves since it was close to both our jobs) and with no means to cook and having to order out food each meal until we finished quarantine we needed all the help we could get.

As soon as I asked for this request Clarissa immediately said “no problem, go online send me which one you think would suit you best and we will get something going”. I was astounded; if I could hug her through the phone I would have. The following day here we were in our beautiful Air B and B with not a worry in the world —well other than our destroyed apartment of course. It was such a relief and put me at such ease after spending several nights crying over this major inconvenience (fire) that just occurred in the dead of winter during a global pandemic.

Clarissa booked us the Air B and B for one month and said if I needed additional time to let her know. Over the next few weeks, Clarissa and other members of the Lemonade Team and Temporary Accommodations checked in with us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying our new temporary home. Soon after, I began doing my “homework” and started putting together a little spreadsheet of all my damaged belongings, destroyed items etc. to tally up the losses. As well as this, Clarissa had asked that I kept a list of my food expenditures while we were in the hotel as I would be reimbursed for the food we ate during the lose of use of our apartment during that brief period. I then sent that over to her and was reimbursed the following day! I have never in my life experienced customer service like this before.

As weeks went by, we were then told by my landlord that the apartment would not be finished in the upcoming weeks and Clarissa extended our stay for us, which took a great deal of stress of both my boyfriend and I since we were both back to work full-time. However, once our stay was nearing an end we were blindsided by my landlord and were told that our apartment wouldn’t be ready for several more months. Because my coverage for loss-of-use was getting close to the max for the policy I purchased I would have to pay out of my pocket unless we found a new place to live.

Within the next few days we found a new apartment and couldn’t wait for our fresh new start. Seeing as all of our belongings were in storage (sent their by the remediation company) I wasn’t sure what to do next and called Clarissa. Not only did she directly work with them, she even got them to hire movers to move all of our stuff into our new place at no cost to me.

Our new apartment complex required us to have Renter’s Insurance, which is not mandatory in the state of Rhode Island but required by our specific landlord and I told him our story. He was so moved at how amazing Lemonade was to us and by my enthusiasm in your company that he told all of the other new tenets to get it as well! Lemonade and Clarissa I cannot thank you enough. I sincerely appreciate being a customer of yours and your tremendous dedication to your clients is unmatched. As a bartender, I talk to several people on a daily basis and when the story of my apartment fire comes up I tell them about you and how thankful I am that I had Lemonade and highly recommend it to everyone. I even have them download your app and help them sign up. Clarissa, you’re a rock star! You have no idea how grateful I am for help I cannot thank you enough. Sincerely, Katie **

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Victoria was helpful, responsive, patient and kind throughout this entire process, which was stressful to begin with! She made it much smoother and we are so grateful for her help. We are thankful that she was our claim advocate and would work with her again any time (though hopefully we do not have another fire in our apartment!!!). Thank you again Victoria and Lemonade.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Kaleb was so helpful in getting money in my pocket for a stolen laptop! I was given counterfeit money for a MacBook Pro. The police got me nowhere, so I was so grateful for Lemonade’s help.. especially since I just started my policy 2 months ago! I thought claiming it on renter’s insurance was a shot in the dark, but ended up being the only help I got. Thank you!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

My phone was stolen making things a bit of a mess for a while, but submitting my claim with Lemonade was really seamless and easy and I got the money I needed to get a replacement quickly. I would recommend this service to anyone that is looking for apartment insurance that isn't a pain to work with.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Eryck was prompt and attentive to the emails I sent him. Got me taken care of quickly and effortless. He took the time to understand what happened to me and was very attentive to details. I had to evacuate my previous home, he definitely made the transition easier for me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

My home was broken into, and I had an expensive desktop computer stolen. I filed a claim with Lemonade and they reimbursed me almost fully. I only had to pay a small deductible. Lemonade renter's insurance saved me from a financial crisis. I would recommend to anyone.

Lemonade Renters Insurance Company Information